[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Japan General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 327
Thread images: 20

File: IMG_4953.jpg (108KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4953.jpg
108KB, 1000x667px
New Japan General

As always, feel free to ask about:
>Traveling to Japan
>Living in Japan
>Teaching in Japan
>Joining the Yakuza
>Getting your weeb fantasies crushed

*Info on prostitution*
>http://rockitreports.com/category/sex-in-tokyo/
>http://erolin.net/
>http://rockitrisingsun.com/

*Note about the JR Pass*
Many people ask about whether or not the JR Rail Pass is worth it. It depends on your itinerary.

>http://www.hyperdia.com/en/
Plug your itinerary into Hyperdia to determine ticket costs, then compare to the below JR Pass options:
>7 day Pass: 29,110¥
>14 day Pass: 46,390¥
>21 day Pass: 59,350¥

Please check the /trv/ sticky before asking questions. It's filled with links to great resources, many of them specific to Japan travel.

Please refer to the old thread while it's still up: >>1224373
>>
Are there any regular hobos in Japan? Is there any difference between western/japanese hobos?
>>
>>1227974
I have seen some, they are rare though. Some sleep in Akihabara.
>>
Does $2000 spending money (not including travel/accommodation) sound reasonable for two weeks alone?

I've never travelled alone before so it's hard to judge. It's basically just for food and basic touristy shit, plus a couple of nights out.
>>
Ok guys so here's the thing.

I'm travelling to Japan in September. Our flight back home departs from Haneda on a Saturday night (around 23:00h), and the day before we'll be checking out from out hotel in Kyoto.

The first idea was coming back to Tokyo for that last night, but since we will have already been to Tokyo for almost a week, I was thinking of staying in another place close to Haneda.

I'm checking Kawasaki but I'm not sure if it's worth it. Also we would like to be well connected to the airport by public transport.

Any idea would be welcome. Thanks!
>>
Best area of Tokyo to stay in? Is Ginza good? Looking for local bars, parks, shops (whatever's cool or interesting), maybe some nightlife.
>>
>>1227974
i saw loads in tochomae tokyo
>>
Hours from my flight now, if I'm reading these NRT maps right, I just take the elevator to the 4th floor after I pass customs to get to the post office?
>>
>>1227979
I made it from 2k including travel(plane tickets and 2 week JR pass), accomodation and everything else. 2k is plenty imho. Then again I stayed at hostels and spent about 3000yen on food daily.
>>
What would be the cost of survival in Japan? Eating the chepaes food, not paying for accomodation, etc.
>>
Any places in Tokyo where i can pick up a nice Japanese milf?
>>
Where's the best place for me to exchange money?

I was thinking about exchanging it here in the states ($1700 worth) and taking my money with me to Japan, then worst case scenario eat a face full of foreign transaction if I don't have enough money by the end of my 10 day trip.
>>
>>1227974
most live under bridges in blue tarp tents away from city centers
>>
>>1227988
roppongi
>>
>>1228012
banks are worst in the States. 7 iholdings Atms are pretty accurate if you compare to Google rates, and your card has no foreign transaction fees. incidentally the best exchange I ever got was in China at a Bank of China for Yuan to USD at a 1:1 ratio
>>
>>1228016

My card does have transaction fees, unfortunately.

I considered money exchange places, not really banks, in the states. This is also assuming I won't step into China, so I guess what I'm trying to ask is...

Between the states and Japan (where I will get a foreign transaction fee), where should I exchange my money?
>>
>>1228011
For dating/casual sex/prostitution?

Dating is certainly possible but you need to speak Japanese since milfs usually aren't gaijin hunters. Casual sex via tinder if you are lucky. And prostitution is certainly a possibility if you pick up some Japanese basics.
>>
>>1227974
i passed a half dozen little tarp shelters near each other out by the tokyo metropolitan government building. but that was all the evidence i saw in 2 weeks. admittedly i stuck around pretty touristy areas.
>>
Reposting from last thread. Wanted to hear other opinions.

I'm torn between working in Japan as a bartender or as an English teacher. I already have experience as a bartender but the pay is supposedly low in Japan. I may want to try English teacher of some sort but I fear it's over saturated and will cost me money over a degree which I don't have much of because I fucked up with something useless. Doesn't help I'm trying to move there by next year before the Olympics. Need some help here.
>>
>>1228044
I got paid around $30.000 as a teacher in Japan last year. Bartending is seen as a hobby or weekend job to make some extra money and I doubt you'll get as much
>>
>>1227994
Tochomae subway station? I saw a bunch of tarp/carboard box tents outside of there, under the overpasses.
>>
>>1228044
English teaching is under-saturated and only getting more under-saturated every year due to the Olympics in 2020. Japan is heavily subsidizing English lessons because they want to bolster national English comprehension. If you want to become an English teacher NOW is the time.
>>
>>1228064
So will they remove any limits like needing a college degree?
>>
>>1228067
You don't need a college degree. You need to proof you are currently following a college course if you want to be an assistant English Teacher (which is the $30.000 job)
>>
>>1228068
Stupid question but does the college course have to be related to English teaching related?
>>
>>1228070
No they just want some confirmation that you aren't a retarded mentally ill person and proving a college accepted you means you have been cleared.

Also if you are white and not disgusting looking highschool girls WILL try to get touchy feely with you. DON'T under ANY circumstance pay any mind to them positive or negative because you WILL get fired and possibly banned from coming to Japan.
>>
>>1228071
Absolute kek. I might want to try this then. Guess my art degree wasn't "completely" useless.

Also, I am Japanese so I think I'm safe from flirty highschool girls. Thanks for the answer, mate. I really appreciate the help.
>>
>>1228068
What? So how can you be an English teacher yet study at the same time? So you can just study at a university then drop out after a little bit?
>>
>>1228074
People do this all the time you can can take your study points stop for a year then resume the study at a later date with your study points still intact.
>>
>>1228027
Casual sex my friend, sorry.
How about any bars they tend to frequent?
>>
>>1228005
$0. Dumpster dive/steal and sleep on the streets.
>>
File: PIC_0125.jpg (825KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
PIC_0125.jpg
825KB, 1920x1080px
hey /trv/

My friend and I are going to Japan this year. We plan on spending 7 days and have set aside around £2000 for it. I've been before but he hasn't.

Here's our WiP itinerary:

Shit outside Tokyo:
Kinkaku-ji (golden temple)
Himeji Castle
Yamato Museum
Nuclear Bomb Museum
MAYBE Miyajima

Shit that's (more or less) in Tokyo:
Nissan Zama collection
Daikoku Futo (car meet bridge)
Sensō-ji (temple)
Akiba/Nanako broadway

We couldn't quite figure out how to plug our entire itinerary into hyperida so we've just assumed the £197 for the 7 day rail pass is enough of a saving. If separate tickets would save dosh we'd appreciate the info.

We intend to arrive in Tokyo but will not actually spent any time there until the last two days.

Bearing in mind that the 'outside tokyo' list will eventually lead us to Hiroshima, how can we best cut costs in regards to accommodation and food?

I'd also personally appreciate any extra stops we could make on the way, as I personally feel there's too little to do for the time we've set out
>>
>>1228114
Shit, one correction, we've both set aside around £1500
>>
>>1228097
no stealing, I'm not a scum. How good is dumpster diving in Japan? What is the legal status of it?
I'd sleep outside of the cities, in some forests or something alike.

But I was mostly interested about actual cheapest food options, just in case I wasn't lucky with dumpsters
>>
>>1227997
there will be signs
>>
>>1228067
>So will they remove any limits like needing a college degree?
idiots teaching idiots sound great
>>
How can I make sure the Japanese don't think I'm gay?

Going to Japan in October with a buddy. I'm 26, he's 63, and it's just the two of us. We're both single, will be sharing rooms, doing everything together, and I don't eat meat or eggs. Do I need to learn the hiragana for "no homo"?
>>
>>1227997
The staff at the customer service counters speak great English, just ask them. They're super humble about it but they got me to the Pokemon Center no problem.
>>
>>1228164
>doing everything together
Idk buddy sounds homo to me? Are you Asian by any chance and the other guy's some bearded white dude?
>>
>>1228164
you already sound fucking gay.
they get grabby in bars, they're already gay when drunk
>>
>>1228071
So what if I already have a degree, just not in anything teaching related? I have an associate's in science, though I don't know any Japanese.
>>
>>1227985
A-anyone?
>>
Anybody know of an app for Japanese vocabulary that will give me the English, katakana/hiragana, and kanji and preferably a picture too. I feel like I can only learn it and pronounce it correctly with all three
>>
>>1228165
>>1228136
Nigga there be no signs, but the help desk people had a larger map than the you are here ones and hooked me up.

Now I can shitpost on the go!
>>
Is it worth going just for the nature?
>>
>>1228248
Anki.

>>1228269
Of course, there is no mountains in my country so just seeing those makes it worth for me.
>>
>>1228114
that's way too overkill for 7 days imo. Tokyo alone would require that much time.

If you're really keen on seeing the Kansai + west region, I would cut Tokyo entirely and spend more time there. Kyoto is certainly worth more than seeing Kinkaku-Ji unless you enjoy hundreds and hundreds of tourists all gathered in one spot looking at the same thing
>>
>>1228304
>that's way too overkill for 7 days imo
Interesting, when I went before we managed to cover similar ground.

My friend's more keen on Tokyo but he only suggested those few places while in the city. Any other suggestions?
>>
>>1228299
I really like the mountain regions in Japan.
Some mountains, some forests and maybe the odd temple seems enough for me

Any place as a recommendation for that in japan?
>>
File: 1429991215534.jpg (58KB, 640x560px) Image search: [Google]
1429991215534.jpg
58KB, 640x560px
I have heard that deodorant is somewhat rare and expensive in Japan. Is that actually true or just exaggerated?
>>
>>1228218
You can apply. You will be put on the bottom of the applications though (this doesn't mean you make 0 chance since there is a shortage). You WILL have to take mandatory Japanese lessons in the weekend so working 5 days a week and 2 days of Japanese lessons. If you can't take that workload then drop the idea.
>>
I'm worried about ordering food in less touristy places.
I can ask basic questions about food, but there's no way I could read a menu full of kanji (kana is fine). Would I get kicked out for being a baka gaijin? Also I'd be alone.

Can you get away with saying "omakase kudasai" in restaurants?
>>
>>1228317
not rare just not a lot of variety and hard to find. Asians don't really sweat. So they won't be smelly within 24 hours of their last shower. Thus deodorant has no real uses. Sure there are some genetic exceptions which is why deodorant is still sold.
>>
>>1228335
Most shit is in kana in restaurants (katakana at that). Learn the kanji for fish 魚beef 牛肉and meat 肉 and you can probably guess the rest from reading katakana.
>>
>>1228248
See /djt/ sticky in /int/ or /jp/
>>
>>1228346
They have survived for eternity in place called Africa.
>>
Okay, got a quick question about the "Temporary Visitor" stamp that I haven't found an answer for online.

I'm landing in Narita 1 week from now, got a railpass, and I'm wondering how easy is it to fuck up and not get that stamp in my passport? Is there some sort of different exit I have to take if I want this stamp?
>>
>>1228336
Where could I find some then? Do they have western brands or just domestic stuff?

>>1228376
You get that when going through immigration at the airport. No way to miss it.
>>
>>1228377
Aight, thanks
>>
tfw you are not going to wake up to faint truck beeping and a guy shouting "Hai!" in the mornings in your country
>>
I'm planning on taking a trip with a few friends to Tokyo. From what I have read, it seems Shinjuku/Shibuya are the most tourist-friendly places to stay, is that right?
Any particular hotels/chains to focus on? Something easy for english speaking tourists.

If we don't plan on venturing out of Tokyo, the JR Pass is not worth it, right?

Also general /trv/ question: is it better to book hotel and flight together or separate? How far in advance is the best time to book shit?
>>
>>1228476
Get a suica card instead if you're just traveling within the city.

Also, I stayed in Shinjuku for a while. It's a very lively area. I'd assume most hotel personnel there have an acceptable knowledge of English.
>>
>>1228377
You can get it at drug stores, but it's all really weak deodorant, mostly sprays - absolutely no antiperspirant. You'd have to try your luck looking at import stores or, as many people do, buy it online.
>>
>>1228336
To expand on this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earwax#Physiology
>A specific gene has been identified that determines whether people have wet or dry earwax.[8] The difference in cerumen type has been tracked to a single base change (a single nucleotide polymorphism) in a gene known as "ATP-binding cassette C11 gene".[9] Dry-type individuals are homozygous for adenine whereas wet-type requires at least one guanine. Wet-type earwax is associated with armpit odor, which is increased by sweat production.

tl;dr most asians have dry earwax and thus no or less sweat odor.
>>
>>1228515
>no or less sweat odor
Real life experience tells otherwise. Even been in a packed train on a hot summer afternoon?
>>
>>1228517
Not in an area with mostly dry earwax. I'm just posting links.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ABCC11#Demographics
>>
Hypothetically, if one were to make a career out of teaching English in a foreign country such as Japan, what would be the best major to pursue in school?
>>
>>1228513
Spray deodorant is OK, I don't usually sweat too much. If I wanted to buy it online, what do I use? Amazon?
>>
>>1227974
When I first got to Shinjuku, some homeless guy ran up to me and grabbed me by my backpack. He then grabbed my arm and kept saying hello to me. He disappeared when I went into my hotel. I saw him 2 more times. After he caused a scene at a diner he disappeared.
On the other hand the homelesses in HK are very nice. They just pray and beg on the ground.
>>
>>1228555
its not a career
>>
Where can I get bud if I wanna smoke
>>
I'm about to finish my degree in Computer Science. How should I go about finding a job in Japan?
>>
>>1228567
Elaborate
>>
I'm not much of a drink so do I have to talk to the kuza orrr.......?
>>
File: mig.jpg (20KB, 300x200px) Image search: [Google]
mig.jpg
20KB, 300x200px
If you no have resistance you have to take a Onsen
>>
Hey Anon!

In three weeks I'm going to be 5 days in Naha.
Are there any special places anyone can recommend to visit?
I love classy bars and great food.
I hope Anon knows something besides the stuff I can find on Google.
>>
>>1228569
Get an English teaching job and spend all your free time job hunting. Companies hate sponsoring but switching visas is fairly easy if you have an in demand field
>>
>>1228609
All you can eat restaurant Aletta
Hotel Rocoahana 2f

2000yen〜3000yen
>>
>>1228609
>>1228631
I'm in japan for a couple weeks in july, and I'm gradually assembling a list of foods I want to try. Is it better to ask for a list of restaurant recommendations here on on /ck/?
>>
>>1228593
Resistance?
>>
File: J0065229a.jpg (50KB, 240x180px) Image search: [Google]
J0065229a.jpg
50KB, 240x180px
>>1228636
Concept of world cuisine and there are various foods.
>>
I booked a flight to Tokyo for june until august, from there i'll take a cheap flight to Thailand where i'll spend 90% of my time

how much time should I spend in Tokyo? I was thinking 3 days in june and maybe a week in august
>>
>>1228676
Sorry, should have been more clear - I'm putting together a list of japanese foods I want to try and looking for good restaurants for each thing (ie a place where I can get really good katsudon, a good teppanyaki place, etc). Is /trv/ or /ck/ a better place to go to ask about restaurants in other countries?
>>
>>1228679
I spent 3 years there and didn't see everything I wanted to
>>
>>1228686

that doesn't answer my question fuckface
>>
>>1228682
I was miss,sorry.
I recommend Habu-Shokudou.
I think this is can feel jananese atmosphere and there are various options to eat cheaply.
>>
>>1228649
For example, take a common dath or to be naked.
>>
>>1228689
>fuckface
>Wants people to help him

Yea ask on /b/
>>
>>1228689
I trol u
>>
>>1228377
You can easily find deodorant cans in any convenience store. From memory mine was quite small, it was an Axel/Lynx variety.
>>
Do I need to have a hotel booked the first night or can I just do Air bnb the whole time?
>>
>>1228573
No job advancement and no significant raises (above maybe CoL increases) I'm assuming. You don't make enough to really save much so you'll be stuck in the same place in life until you quit the job
>>
>>1228791
you could technically do AirBnB the whole time but in my experience it's much easier and stress free to grab a decent hotel the first night.
>>
>>1228992
I've booked airbnb for my whole trip, do I really need to worry about not being let in?
>>
>>1227974
When I was in Shibuya I met a homeless guy on the second level of a McDonalds. He was telling me about how it was cold outside, and he was showing me his Louis Vuitton satchel he had and offered me tissues. I gave him the rest of my fries before I left.

Seemed like a nice guy.
>>
>>1229025
oh that's what you're worried about? Nah you'll be let in just fine. The problem is sometimes airbnbs can be tougher to check in to and find than a hotel. I like to make things super easy for after the 14 hour commute to japan.
>>
File: images.jpg (7KB, 266x189px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
7KB, 266x189px
>tfw get sick while traveling
This sucks just wasted Sunday and Saturday barely doing anything and got up at 2 today. Oh well at least I'll be here for awhile.
>>
>>1229036
I've got pretty clear directions to help me find mine, so hopefully I should be ok.
>>
>>1227974
They won't bother you or ask for change and are easily the best homeless in the world, but have been totally fucked over. There are basically zero programs to help them at all and if they don't have family that eventually comes around nothing they do will get them out of it once they've gotten to that level
>>
>>1228568
Not worth the effort or price just take a break when you go and get super lean when your back, alc is super cheap anyway
>>
Anyone want to meet up?
>>
>>1229064
not with you
>>
>last kabuki act of the month

Wew lads just made it but standing room only. Hopefully my fatass can handle it after running around all day.
>>
>>1228980
This, currently an ALT. The pay is shit, its mostly an excuse to fuck around in Japan
>>
If you already visited in Japan, Post your favorite place here and you can see other peoples answer here.
And you can sort by many reviewer type (Nationality/Ethnicity/Religion/Income....etc)
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSe3EJWVbVloIurSj4LJfznzxth3drLtO4wpgSZLih8flVO4bw/viewform?usp=sf_link

It may help you guys.
>>
>>1227971
>Teaching in Japan
Is Aeon a good teaching gig? I'm trying to find a part time gig where I'll be actually working less than 40 hours a week so I can focus on learning Japanese and couple other side projects.
>>
Whats your experience with airbnb? I'd rather book that than a hotel but I don't know if the risk of cancellation is worth it..
>>
anyone know where I can buy raw Kobe beef in Osaka or Kobe? I want to cook it in my airbnb
>>
File: kanazawa.jpg (5MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
kanazawa.jpg
5MB, 4032x3024px
>>1229120
I just stayed in one a couple days ago in tokyo. It was shared with a few people and hosted by a Korean girl who lives there. pretty clean but it was just the essentials like a hostel. I'm staying in another tomorrow in Osaka. so far the hosts have been better than what I've experienced in America.
>>
>>1229109
Pretty much all the English schools will let you work less hours so they can hire more teachers so the students have more variety
>>
>>1229057
is it the pride that prevents them from begging or the police?
Also, do they at least get some cash from the state?
>>
Is there a certain time-frame in which you can/cannot apply for the Working Holiday Visa? I read somewhere that they only begin accepting in the first few months of the year but I can't find anything on this elsewhere
>>
I'm going to Japan in May and will be there till mid July creating a documentary about Rock music culture in Japan. Does anyone have any good recommendations for areas with good music? I'm looking for popular places, but also am wanting to find some lesser known venues/artists to include. I am also wanting to send some emails to people in Japan, but can't speak Japanese. Does anyone have any recommendations for cheap/free translation options?
>>
>>1229041
This is my greatest fear in going to Japan. The dreaded Japanese cold can knock foreigners unaccustomed to it down for like a week straight, or so I've heard.
>>
>>1229254
http://carnival.satanic.jp/2017/
Going to this festival, you might want to check it out.
>>
Anyone here been in Okinawa?
What's the most convinient location for a hotel?
>>
File: 1489196817611.jpg (174KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1489196817611.jpg
174KB, 1080x1080px
>tfw I'm going to a teaching job in Japan with a BA and TESOL cert and getting paid ¥275,000 right off the bat

Feels good, man
>>
>>1229286
damn i wish i could read this
>>
>>1229346
That's like 10k less than the shittiest state teaching jobs in the U.S. Is Japan really that cheap to live in that you can survive off of that?
>>
>>1229254
My favorite band is a japanese rock/funk group called BRADIO, include them in your documentary if you want.
>>
>>1229370
It isn't, but I hope this guy knows the exchange rate, because that is shitty money
>>
Looking for some advice here

I'm planning on studying in Japan, most likely at a vocational school there. I have money to attend a preparatory course for 2 years before that too, which also gives me a chance to experience the country before deciding to completely move on there and seeing if I can adapt to it.

Between Osaka, Kyoto and Tokyo - which one do you think would best suit a young male?

I'm mostly interested in:

Improving my Japanese as much as possible

Job opportunities (part-time as a student and also a profession later on if possible/applicable)

-

I'm not very good at dealing with extreme heat (don't mind cold weather though).

What do you reckon are the pros and cons of each of these cities?
>>
File: Saber C.png (640KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Saber C.png
640KB, 1920x1080px
>>1227971
>>
>>1229370
they're supposed to hook you up with quarters. even then, it's fucking stupid to sign up with JET. better to sign up for the military.
>>
Hello there, I'm heading to Japan somewhere around the end of may.

I've got two weeks and I'm spending one with a buddy of mine who lives in Tokyo. I was wondering if going to Kyoto would be fun and if not, can you recommend me somewhere else to go.

I like history, hiking and photography just to list the things I tend to do when I'm on vacation.
>>
>>1229408
Yeah, if it's JET then your housing is practically free, less than 10000 yen
>>
>>1229411
If you like history hiking and photography Kyoto should be a must do for you, seeing as it was the capital of Japan for the majority of its existence
>>
>>1229417

Alright man, thanks for the quick answer, anywhere in particular I just have to go?

Or is the entire city photography worthy?
>>
>>1229381
anyone?
>>
>>1229381
Tokyo and Osaka are basically interchangeable, though I would choose Tokyo personally because of size and things to do. Kyoto is more traditional and also has a lot more tourists condensed in spots. You're going to find pretty much the same temperature in all 3 cities
>>
>>1229120
Went well for me most of the time I used it. I got fucked by one host giving me wrong directions and the wrong address and not having a phone though. Other than that I highly recommend it.
>>
>>1229459
I've read much about Japan stereotypes, most people who've spent time there seem to say that

>People from Osaka are more open and funny
>People from Tokyo are usually more formal and harder to become friends with

would you agree with the statement?
>>
>>1229465
Kansai people are generally more friendly yes, but the difference is smaller than to people from Okinawa or so. You'll probably make friends either way since you're studying though.
>>
>>1228071
The touchy feely thing is a load of BS, you'd need to be at least 6ft chiseled looks and blonde hair for them to even not treat you like a weirdo
>>
i'll be in tokyo in less than 24 hours
this isn't a crazy lifelong weeaboo dream come true
>>
>>1229254
why the fuck would you make a documentary about a topic about which you know so little that you ask for input from the internet?
>>
>>1229254
I go to at least three concerts a month living here and I still feel like I haven't even cracked the surface of their underground music scene. Lillies and Remains are pretty interesting, mainly because their songs are in English, which is rare for a Japanese band. I love Moi Dix Mois and I don't know the last time they've done a foreign interview. I think the visual kei music scene is really weird, but it definitely is in the underground. If you don't know much about it, look around. There's a lot of bands and genres within that field, but it has a unique Japanese vibe. For example, some bands have separate shows for male and female fans. And there's a reason for it. You can probably reach out to their management using simple English with google translate, then ask which translation services they recommend and book a translator. Good luck.
>>
What are some good places to see during the last week of may until the first week of june?

I'm staying in Ueno with my buds btw. And no plans on drinking. Just sightseeing and food hopping.
>>
Does anybody have any recommendations for airbnbs in Tokyo?
>>
>>1229495
https://www.airbnb.de/users/show/561814
>>
>>1229498
seems like the decent apartments are already booked out for my May trip, but I'll keep them saved for my summer trip!
>>
Many shrines seem like they are under renovation now, is there a list anywhere of good ones to see that are not wrapped in plastic etc?
>>
I get that finding a hooker or getting a one night stand from some random gaijin hunter is easy, but, man, DATING a Japanese girl is HARD.
>>
I'm going in October, is there a website that lists when the festivals are? Like the ones you see in the anime with fireworks and foodstands ? I would like to visit one and wear those kimino.

Also is there any anime conventions around that time?
>>
>>1229527
Almost all festivals with fireworks are in July/August

Check http://www.japan-guide.com/event/ for events

As far as anime conventions, not sure desu. Comiket is the biggest one, that one is in August
>>
how do i get from NRT to tokyo
>>
>>1229533
this is 4chan, not Google
>>
Me and a few buds are going to Japan next year for 2 weeks.

What is the best time of year to get the best price on plane tickets? I want to avoid the rainy season too
>>
Anybody know a good work exchange in Japan, preferable Tokyo?
>>
What mifi do you guys use?
>>
>>1229546
outside of busy seasons (Golden Week, Obon, New Year). September if you want hot weather should be fine
>>
>>1229468
Nice.

One last question - what exactly did you mean by saying that Osaka and Tokyo are interchangeable?

I know both have a much more complex and expansive transportation system but that's about it.
>>
Is http://www.japan-guide.com a decent resource?
>>
>>1229588
yes, it's very very useful
>>
>>1229588
I sure hope so, I made most of my siteseeing decisions using it.
>>
How easy is it to get a massage over there? Not a 'massage' but a genuine non-sexual one.
>>
>>1229588
Yeah it works fine
>>
>>1229473
Because it would be interesting and something new, making it a genuine first encounter documentary. I know plenty about rock and roll and a little about Japan's music scene, but want to learn more and share that knowledge. I didn't think people on /trv/ would be afraid of the unknown and criticize others for perusing it.
>>
>>1229474
Thanks!
>>
>>1229653
whats the difference?

if you aren't getting a legit massage before she pops your cork, you are getting ripped off.

the happy ending is just like a bonus.
>>
>>1229756
Not him, but I was under the impression that actual japanese-staffed massage places are completely legit, as in not even a happy ending. Happy endings are usually gived by chinese/korean places in Japan. Is that wrong?
>>
>>1229764
ehh, i honestly didn't pay that much attention. if i got my root pulled, sweet. as long as the actual massage was good i was happy.
>>
>>1229354
June 17th and 18th (Sat. and Sun.)
Makuhari Messe International Event Halls 9-11
Chiba city

The hall opens for booths and vending at 9 AM (Sat.) and 8 AM (Sun.).
Performances are from 12-9:15 PM (Sat.) and 11-8:15 PM (Sun.).

2-day tickets are 15,800 yen; 1-day tickets are 8500 yen.

Tickets are available for purchase from April 22nd.
>>
Hitting Japan in December for a few weeks, where's the best spots for photography besides kyoto?
>>
>>1229764
Its completely dependent on where you go and at what time you're getting the massage. Just like in the US

But you're never going to a legit place if you're solicited off the street while you're drunk
>>
>>1227971
one question - does japan have google maps? if so, i can save money on buying tour guides. i'd prefer to get lost on purpose and then find my way home instead of having someone tell me where to go.
>>
File: 1442647589767.jpg (1MB, 2048x1356px) Image search: [Google]
1442647589767.jpg
1MB, 2048x1356px
>>1229783
If you're any good, everywhere in the country will give you a completely different aesthetic compared to what you're used unless you live in another major city in Asia.

Half the blocks inside the Yamanote line in Tokyo look like pic related
>>
>>1229825
>maps.google.co.jp
no
>>
>>1229299
why would you visit such a cultural country for the beaches?
>>
>>1229828
You ever seen a beach full of Japanese girls?
>>
>>1229824
I've found that in the US (in my city at least) some places are reliable happy ending places, and some guaranteed with even more extras, and some completely legit and you will never get a happy ending. From what I've read in the OP links, Japanese masseuses typically don't do happy ending massages. I could be wrong though, I haven't done any investigating on the ground.
>>
>>1229408
>it's fucking stupid to sign up with JET. better to sign up for the military.
Except they pay the best out of any totally entry level english teaching job in Japan and some people don't want to join the military?
>>
Always wanted to live in japan. Am looking for great web reasources that list the steps to getting there or an otherwise concise and helpful guide. Anyone have links?
>>
>>1229836
JET has a major pro and a lot of cons
The pro is that if you get the job, it will be the highest salary you're basically going to get teaching English in Japan starting and even with experience at an eikaiwa

But the cons are that every major city has given up on the program, so if you get in you WILL be placed in the middle of nowhere. Plus theres a big long interview process where you have multiple interviews, have to do mock lessons, etc. If you are that passionate about teaching English its basically a waste of time, since you should be getting a masters in English so you don't face the very real English teaching salary that even the lowest of eikaiwa teachers face after 5+ years on the job.

I honestly don't know who JET is geared to anymore, except for people who didn't do their research, or people who have a hard limit of less than 2 years in Japan but want to improve their language ability.
>>
>On teaching English
So can you really teach English abroad with almost any degree?
>>
>>1229859
>with any degree
Its a visa requirement to graduate college or have 10 years experience. But thats the extent of it
>>
>>1229846

In Chicago, I did one interview with three people and gave a very loose mock lesson during it. I was accepted today.

When you say every major city has given up, what do you mean? And where are you getting that from?
>>
How do I join the Yakuza ? I've been told I look japanese even though my native background is vietnamese. Do I need to cut my finger off I want to join them? I'm assuming Yakuza only accept pure blood nips ?
>>
>>1229825
You can't download offline maps for Google maps. I suggest using Maps.me application, you can fit whole Japan in 1.6 GB.
>>
>>1229584
well they're both big cities
>>1229830
yes, most of them are covered up because they want to stay as white as possible
>>1229839
Option a) get a degree and become an English teacher
Option b) get a visa sponsored in your field of work
Option c) check if your country has a working holiday agreement with Japan
Option d) Marry a Japanese
>>
>>1229735
No problem. And as much as I love Moi Dix Mois, their guitarist actually just did an international interview, so cross them off the list. The less well known a band is, the more likely they'll be eager to have international exposure. Just give them enough time to respond because administrative stuff can move very slow in Japan. If you go to a show, check if the live house allows pictures. It's not common to take pictures during concerts and at some places it's not allowed.

Are you going to just be in Tokyo?
>>
DisneySea felt like such a waste of time. I was able to ride one ride, waiting in Anaheim normal times at around ~80 min, and then when I was done with that one EVERY ride was up to 3 hour waits. By 10am Fastpass gates were up to 20:30-21:30 already!

Fucked up!
>>
>>1229912
I was planning on going there. Would you recommend the other one instead then?

What day did you go? I understand you can have a pretty good idea ahead of time which days will be busy and and which will be fine, did you check into that?
>>
>>1229550
Bumping this again I don't care if it's Tokyo or not I just need to live for free while I find an English teaching job. Already got a degree and cert. am I. Japan but blew toooo much money on hotels my first week
>>
>>1227988
As anon said Roppongi is pretty good. I'd say Shin-Okubu is great as it is really close to Shinjuku, which is the red light district, and most lively during the night. You can't go wrong with this
>>
>>1228064
I don't want to sound like a real fucking idiot but I've always wondered this. How much Japanese do you actually need to teach English? I've heard varying answers, and it sometimes surprises me how little you need to know
>>
>>1227971
If I use my tax free in Japan to buy a Nintendo Switch will I have to pay anything when I get home to UK?
>>
>>1229960
not if they don't find it :^)
>>
>>1229864
Not him but most JET-esque programs will put you in the ass end of nowhere
>>
>>1229921
I went today (Wednesday), it didn't even seem very crowded. I did not bother with DisneyLand proper as it seemed pretty much 1:1 with the Magic Kingdom in Anaheim, and I've been there plenty. I hear the experience, as far as lines go, is the same there as in DisneySea.
>>
>>1229935
Literally none, but it makes life there easier.
>>
>>1229846
Jet is for people who want to immerse themselves in Japanese culture and try their hands at teaching. Maybe they will like Japan or like teaching or maybe the wont. If they dont, they can leave.

Jet is a commitment but not a particularly long one. One year. You can even lesve if you really want to.

I guess you are one of those people ehi thinks you should just go straight from undergrad to graduate to ma and that is the only life path. A year trying something isnt going to set you back for your entire life.

Honestly people who follow that route tend to be not so happy in my experience. Like my professors in university who teach about Japan or Vietnam but have never been there because they just lived their life in academia.

Obviously Jet has problems, LOTS of then, but I think you are not looking at it the right way.
>>
>>1229120
Fantastic.
Used it in Tokyo, Yokohama, Osaka and Kyoto.
Never had a problem.
>>
File: il-8.jpg (98KB, 580x378px) Image search: [Google]
il-8.jpg
98KB, 580x378px
>>1229973

>ass end of nowhere

I mean, if you're looking for that high-speed Tokyo feel, that's a bad thing. I don't see anything wrong with a little country comfort to start
>>
>>1229983
I spent three years in Japan and I'm currently getting my Master's.

I got to spend that 3 years in Tokyo by specifically avoiding JET.
>>
>>1230010
Did you teach? If so, where?

I'm a qualified teacher, had six months experience teaching here in Australia. Wouldn't mind making a change for a year.
>>
>>1230010
So what is your job? Is it through Aeon or something similar? Did you find it online at ohayosensei? Or did you go to Japan and find it? Most people who go through Jet are not looking for Tokyo, and also looking for somethinf relatively stable, established, with a community and organization to belong too and all that. Most Jets are straight out of college.
>>
>>1229481
Bump
>>
>>1227971
So I am from Canada and I just checked flights and they cheap as 1400$
what the fuck?
Our currency sucks
should I wait? I would like to go for a month-ish and I have about 2000 CAD (excluding plane ticket)
>>
>>1230047
Tokyo
>>1230071
like nigga what kind of advice do you expect when we don't even know where you're flying out from, where exactly you want to go and most of all at what time? Christ
>>
>>1228114
What the fuck camera did you take this with
I have never seen such weird softness and chromatic abberation
>>
>>1228164
You sound like a fag anyway so why bother?
>>
So what's the age range of the people I'd be teaching if I decided to teach English?
>>
>>1230080
Montreal. around july-august
though I heard august is hot as fuck
sorry, I never traveled.
>>
>>1227971
Is Gundam Front Tokyo reopening when the Unicorn Gundam statue is finished? Also is that joining the Yakima thing legit?
>>
>>1230095

That depends on the job you apply for and your experience level.

A majority of people I know who went over to Japan ended up teaching elementary school-age kids (7-12), though some lucked out and got into teaching business English to adults. Both sets of people enjoyed their experiences
>>
>>1230117
I was asking since I have experience in teaching elementary aged kids, grades 2 through 5, so that was the range I wanted to work with. It's good to know that younger kids are what the majority get to teach. Thanks.
>>
File: jeps2.png (254KB, 497x465px) Image search: [Google]
jeps2.png
254KB, 497x465px
>>1229912
>2017
>pays to wait in line
>>
>>1230117
Oh that's neat. I thought it would only be high schools when english classes really kick off.
>>
>>1230103
Summer can be more expensive than a Christmas/New Years flight. Late January through early May is 1k from Toronto while Summer is 1.6k.
>>
>>1230140
W.. What do you do?
>>
Guys what happened to the fish market? Did they move it. I was in Tokyo over the summer and I heard that it was its last month or so. Damn shame if it was. That place was a highlight of the trip. Very interesting
>>
File: PYBF9gp.jpg (125KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
PYBF9gp.jpg
125KB, 640x640px
Hey fags.
I landed in Japan two days ago and I'm living out your weeb fantasies.
While you neckbeards lie at home wishing you could be in glorious Nippon, I'm sharpening my mind and honing my skills.

>pic related a taste of my true power

Stay mad fags dont test me
>>
>>1230194
It's still at the same place, the move has been delayed to somewhere in the winter 2017/2018
>>
Whats the weather like in late April. Shorts and t shirts?
>>
Is it true cash is more accepted/liked compared to using a card at places?

I've heard conflicting stories about some places only preferring yen, and some places only yen farther out in the boonies you go.
>>
>>1230235
Asia in general is cash over cards
>>
Should I avoid beaches if I have a sizeable flower tattoo on my shoulder? Also, I carry my backpack with me everywhere, but some stores in the U.S. get upset if you have a bag with you. What about Japan?
>>
>>1230230
depends on where you are visiting. Google average temps instead of posting stupid shit.
>>
>>1230235
The norm is a place will not accept cards. Consider yourself lucky if they do
>>
>>1230235
Walk up and pay places in Tokyo are card friendly usually, but restaurants are cash.
>>
>>1230249
No one cares at beaches and a bunch of onsen won't even say anything since they're usually too scared to use their poor English. And no one is going to be upset with you for having a bag in a store. Seems like an odd question
>>
>>1230302
Not odd at all, in some European countries/stores you sometimes are asked to show your bags to the cashier.
>>
Heading to Japan in close to a month

Staying in Tokyo for roughly 11-12 days, then heading to Osaka and staying there for about 4 days doing day trips to Kyoto and Nara. I'm going to activate my JR pass for the last leg of the trip.

I'm really nervous about getting around though. I know pretty much zero Japanese and I think I'm going to have trouble finding my way around, knowing which trains to take, how to use the trains and ticket machines, which stop to get off at etc, are there any apps or advice that could help with this?
(Solo trip btw)
>>
>>1230304
This is the same in the US.
>>
>>1230306
The trains are very simple. Finding the right station may be difficult, but once you're there you can easily find the line and there are people who will help, even if it is awkward to communicate. No one seems hostile or unfriendly, they are hospitable as best as they can be. Tokyo is very friendly and easy as a English speaker.
>>
>>1230306
Check beforehand which trains go to your destination and station names are written in English. If you have mobile internet you can use Google maps to give you route to anywhere using public transportation.
>>
just a few questions:

Are there any bar crawl type thing in Tokyo that doesnt land on a weekend?

How hard is it to get into visual kei concerts? I've attended metal shows in Tokyo before I was wondering if it is the same or not.

Whats a good place to hang out in roppongi? last time i hung out a lot in golden gai. So i was thinking maybe trying something new
>>
>>1229960
What's the tax free limit for UK travelers? In the U.S. it's $800, so if it's similar in the U.K. you should be fine.
>>
File: NOearlyseason.jpg (78KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
NOearlyseason.jpg
78KB, 720x960px
Just finished a winter season working in a Japanese ski school. Was really fun but don't expect to make any money if you're on a working holiday visa becasue 20% tax on all earnings. Ask If you want to know anything about Working holiday visa's or winter work in Japan.

Traveling around Japan on a micro budget now and I have to store all my work gear for 20 days before I fly out. Ta-q-bin service will only store my bags at the airport for 7 days. Anyone know a cheap way to store bags at/near hanada airport?
>>
So my plane is landing a bit later than what was originaly planned, which isn't that big of a deal, but I'll have to switch up my plans a little bit. What's a good way to spend your first evening in Tokyo? I don't really enjoy getting smashed in nightclubs and whatnot, I'd rather discover new things.
>>
Got a quick question for y'all. As my schedule goes I can only visit Akiba on a monday, which is the only day the Tokyo Anime Center is closed. Now, how much of a miss is this? My interest in anime is not over the top huge, but I do watch and enjoy it a lot. Can I get my anime-fix from other outlets at Akiba just as good as the center?

Side question: how long in advance should I book a room at the owl cafe in Akiba? Would hate to miss out by making a reservation too late.

Thanks in advance.
>>
>>1230352
Owl cafe, as in pet cafe?
>>
>>1227971
I'm living in Norway right now and it's far too pricey here, more so than I was expecting. My plan was to come here, study an education course of some sort for a year, as the university is free, then go to Japan and teach English, I figured there'd be a higher demand for teachers with the 2020 Olympics coming up.

Can anybody tell me how feasible it is to find a teaching course over there? because I'm having no luck over here and it's draining my wallet. I know little Japanese, of course I plan on learning more before teaching. How easy is it to get a regular job over there without speaking much Japanese? If I went over now I wouldn't have enough money to sustain myself while I took a course without getting a job.
>>
>>1230352
There's anime shops / stores all over Akihabara. Really depends on what you're into, as most stores will cater more towards recent releases. Mandarake has a decent selection of new and old anime but prices can vary wildly. I got two Kenichi Sonoda art books for ¥800 and ¥2000, but dvd prices are absurd. ¥8000 for Bubblegum Crash? No way jose.
>>
>>1230352
never been into that particular store desu, but there's many other ones in Akihabara
>>
>>1230352
I had a friend walk into the Akiba owl cafe today with no notice, so it's probably pretty variable. Weekends you'd likely need a reservation if anything
>>
Which is the best way to get to Haneda airport from Yokohama, using the JR pass?

Taking the train and then commuting to the monorail at Hamamatsucho?
>>
>>1230358
I guess you can call it that, just google Fukurou Akiba for a look. Hang out with different domesticated owls for an hour, how cool isn't that
>>
>>1230360
>>1230362
>>1230370
Okay, thanks!
>>
>>1230320
The only bar crawl I know about is the Tokyo Bar crawl in Roppongi which is a good way to find the decent places.

Greenland, Jumanji, and Line were my favorite places in Roppongi. Gas Panic is always bad. Roppongi is my favorite place to go out at night, but its definitely a totally different vibe than Golden Gai. Its mostly clubs and the good clubs rotate every weekend, some place that had an event last week with tons of people might be totally dead the next week.

Check for language exchange events, those usually bring in a lot of people to bars/club that would otherwise be fairly dead with the added bonus of all you can drink. If you have places in mind, the Nigerian touts will usually be pretty honest about how the club is that night if you listen to their pitch and talk to them for a couple minutes, most of them are actually promoting legit places nowadays since the girl's bars have pushed out nearly all of the hostess bars and massage ladies. Just don't go anywhere you don't see other people going into because theres still a few shady ones left.

But most importantly just do people watching. Drinking on the street is legal and it becomes fairly easy to figure out the places people are actually going to.
>>
>>1227971
>Joining the Yakuza

No way a white Westerner can join the Yakuza
>>
>cheapest flights are over $1500
Living in the caribbean really fucks up travelling since you usually need to take an extra flight to a good airport before heading to your destination.
When are flights usually cheapest? I use Hopper to see prices but I'm sure they vary depending how far/close the dates are.
>>
File: IMG_2307.jpg (482KB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2307.jpg
482KB, 1536x2048px
I've never been into anime, manga, or any otaku-style horseshit, but I'm still interested in traveling to the Land of the Rising Sun. Will I have a good time teaching English over there even though I'm not a weeb?
>>
>>1230539
fucking normie stay in your home white pig
>>
>>1230546

I should also mention that I have zero interest in Japanese women (for now, at least). Would Japan still be a good place to go?
>>
>>1230519
Winter (except holidays obv), early spring, and fall. Book 3-4 months in advance.
>>
>>1230564
You never had a chance anyway
>>
Anyone here been to Godz in Shinjuku? if so, how is it? are there any other bars similar to it theme wise?
>>
I'm looking for a decent onsen ryokans in Aomori to stay the night. Prices can be flexible but keep it under 15K yen. Any suggestions?
>>
Are there any other high-skilled jobs apart from English teacher? I'm not English native speaker so I can forget about being a teacher. I want to leave US as soon as possible. What do I need to work in Japan? Also I'm French Canadian
>>
>>1230795
I'm just curious, I'm not actually going to Japan
>>
>>1230471
It's a meme you dip
>>
Hello /trv

My partner and I are going to Japan for only 1 week to see the Stone Roses. We're staying in Tokyo near Tabata so we're basically on the Yamanote line. Do you have any recommendations for weird and awesome shit to do? We're pretty fringey types looking for both seedy and interesting experiences among relatively mundane like great cheap eating and drinking.
If you have any cool stories or venues/restraunts/bars that are worth chasing feel free to tell me about them.
>>
>>1230795
duh man idk

how about getting a degree on a highly demanded field?
>>
AS a 198cm tall man flying with Lufthansa from Frankfurt to Tokyo, how fucked Are me leg space?

I dread the flight.
>>
>>1230835
Look up the layout of the plane and try to get a seat with more leg space. Usually the seats close to the emergency exit have more room.
>>
>>1230840
>>1230835
Yeah but you've gotta be prepared to pull that lever in an emergency. Are you willing to accept that responsibility? That burden haunting you forever?
>>
the /trv/ sticky links to a pretty cheap hotel called 'Hotel New Tokyo'

Can anyone here vouch for it? surely there's gotta be a catch for such low prices
>>
>>1230848
lol wut, the chance of being in a survivable airplane emergency is probably the same as winning the lottery
>>
>>1230835
Who cares about leg space? Not getting comfortable neck and back space are more important because legs can be folded but those 2 others can't be.
>>
>>1230539
ofcourse if you like the scenery. those weebs are looked down upon.
>>
>>1230799
Robot Restraunt, its in a red lighty district of tokyo as well so you can explore around there afterwards. last time i went there was some guy laying face down in his own blood from what looked like blunt force trauma to the back of the head.

>>1230306
It's pretty easy, google hyperdia and itll map out your train ride for you.

>>1230249
nah its fine

>>1230235
Most stores will have the cards they accept at the counter, cash is easier though and less to worry about that way.

>>1229912
Did you check the crowd calendar? Every time i went i usually got to ride 70% of the rides some more than once, of course whenever i go i stay at a hotel 5 mins away so i can get there right when they open, got to be smart with your fast passes.

>>1229825
Yeah, i used it for driving directions. I had a jp cell phone though.

>>1229472
have fun

>>1229041
>tfw allergic to some makeup a jp girl i smashed was using.

it was legit like having asthma, or maybe it was her pet idk. Japan allergies were pretty nice to me compared to korea.

>>1228377
it exists but its not western style its not expensive, i had to order all mine off of amazon. try donq
>>
>>1227971
As someone that's never traveled outside of the states, and wants to visit Japan for weeb/nerd and food stuff, and secondary for architecture and nature, how long would you recommend I stay there? 7 days, 10 days? Guessing Tokyo is the best place for tourists. If I like it there I might visit again in the future though.
>>
>>1227971
I land in Narita with my bf on June 14 and leave Narita June 27. Currently have:
4 nights in Tokyo,
2 nights in Kyoto,
2 nights in Osaka,
1 night in Hiroshima,
1 night in Miyajima,
??
Return to Tokyo the day before my flight

The only ferry from Miyajima is to Hiroshima, correct? So I have a couple nights to get Hiroshima>Tokyo. Suggestions on this specifically or our trip over all?

We're staying in hostel/AirBnB the entire time so I was thinking maybe one night in a ryokan in a smaller town/in the country. I've heard these tend to be cheaper than the ones in cities. We'd like to splurge a little for a night in a ryokan but can't spend hundreds of USD each for a night. I know it's a huuuuuge stretch but is there any suggestions on a cheaper ryokan that'd let us rent a private onsen for us? Doubt it but thought I'd ask.

Interests: we are closet filthy weebs, we enjoy anime, games, and pop culture but we don't want to make the entire trip revolving around it- that part is mostly isolated in Tokyo and the Tezuka museum in Osaka. We enjoy museums a lot and enjoy nice walks and exploration but aren't huge on hiking up mountains but would consider it. Food interests is more cultural than fancy since we're on a budget- meaning we'd be more into trying cheaper street food than going out to expensive restaurants. Tokyo is Shibuya, Akiba, Harajuku, Nakano, and Ghibli Museum. Kyoto is mostly temple hopping/exploring, Osaka is mostly museums, Hiroshima is Peace Park, and Miyajima seems like a nice place to just explore and have a chill day during the trip.

This is our first time to Japan and our first time traveling out of the country together, though we've both traveled internationally before. It's also my first time planning an international trip on my own, so suggestions are welcome.
>>
>>1231429
>I know it's a huuuuuge stretch but is there any suggestions on a cheaper ryokan that'd let us rent a private onsen for us?

The issue with this is that every onsen I've seen charges the room rate for each person staying. I have not seen an onsen with private baths for cheaper than 28k yen per person per night. You'd probably need to go farther off the beaten trail to find one given the areas you'll be in. Hakone might be worth a try, Nikko is too expensive, Miyajima you can look but I don't recall seeing any with private baths.
>>
>>1231423
however long you can stay senpai
>>
>>1231429
You could take the shinkansen from hiroshima to tokyo straigth I think (hyperdia is down atm, cant check).

I slept at Miyajima and spent some time walking around in the morning then jumped onto the shinkansen and hop off at Himeji. Spent a couple of hours visiting the castle and reached Tokyo by 8-9pm by shinkansen.
>>
>>1230307
that's really a thing?
>>
>>1231453
Yeah, at least Google maps said the shikansen goes Hiroshima >Tokyo. I could just do another few days in Tokyo to bookend the trip, but I was looking into some options. Himeji could be nice, even for just a little stop.

>>1231433
I'll look into these, thanks!
>>
>>1228123
I want to know too
>>
>>1231461
Use the site hyperdia.com for accurate train schedules. I used it before my trip to plan and later to adjust if I had to.
>>
File: 1426817477329.gif (3MB, 240x320px) Image search: [Google]
1426817477329.gif
3MB, 240x320px
>>1231437
Sounds good, I might do like 1 day of jet lag recovery, 5 or 6 days of enjoyment, and another day of travel prep. and last minute things.
>>
My girlfriend and I will be staying in Tokyo for 4 nights before we leave for a music festival.

Does anyone have any experience with couples orientated sex tourism in the country? I know there are probably not a whole lot of Asian milfs interested in kinky white girls which is unfortunate, but really anything will do
>>
Going to japan at end of april for 11 nights. Currently staying in Tokyo and trying to think of fun activities to do especially being a bit of an Otaku myself.
Already secured tickets for Ghibli Museum at least.
>>
>>1231574
>This post

It's good to have a reminder I'm still on 4chan.
>>
>>1231574
could you be clearer and explain exactly what sort of bizarre prostitution you and your girlfriend are looking for?
>>
>>1231356
> jp girl i smashed
do the nips shave?
>>
Hey guys i just searched the archives but can't find anything,
I read somewhere (i thought it was here) that there's a neko maid bar with all you can drink for 1k yen. Anyone know about this ?
>>
File: IMG_20170402_181406.jpg (2MB, 3036x4048px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170402_181406.jpg
2MB, 3036x4048px
If the anon who helped me find yosakoi dances is around, thanks a ton, I had a real blast today.

>TFW only small tshirt sizes
>>
People over 100kg should be banned from Japan
>>
>>1231698
Most don't, but i got over it fairly quickly. the gaijin hunters do because "thats what Americans like."
>>
I'm having a bit of trouble deciding on an airbnb and thought maybe some of you guys had some input:

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/9688339?wl_source=list&wl_id=205656112&role=wishlist_owner&check_in=2017-05-27&check_out=2017-06-03&adults=1&guests=1

Pro: Nice view, I was staying near that area before so I know it's pretty quiet/traditional

Con: Pretty far away from the center (Shinjuku/Shibuya) in case I want to go out

or

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/17493139?wl_source=list&wl_id=205656112&role=wishlist_owner&check_in=2017-05-28&check_out=2017-06-03&adults=1&children=0&infants=0#neighborhood

Pro: Close to Shinjuku

Con: Might be a bit too busy?

What do you guys think?
>>
>>1227974
I saw a hobo under a bridge playing something on a 3DS when i was there.
>>
Anyone ever been to Kabukicho? I'm a huge fan of the Yakuza game series but when i was in Japan last year i was too scared to go there because of the real Yakuza.
>>
>>1231837
I really hope this is a bait
>>
I'm planning on going to Japan next month and I have an online business of sorts. Do I just find an airbnb with internet or should I just go to a rely on web cafes?
>>
Planning out a 2 week trip in December (through Christmas and New Years) and looking for itinerary ideas. First time in Japan so I guess I'm looking to do all the touristy things first.

How many days should I spend in Tokyo? Osaka? Kyoto? Any interesting day trips from any of these cities?
>>
>>1231837
lmao, if you just wander around in kabuchiko you're not gonna be jumped by the yakuza and have your pinky cut off. The yakuza runs the sex trade and you're their target demographic. They have a vested interest in you feeling safe around their businesses, idiot.
>>
>>1231854
>>1231926
Well it's my fault for not being clear but the point is that i don't trust myself not to get in trouble
>>
Is it okay for americans to still go to japan after drumpf got elected?
>>
>>1231896
If you're planning on doing all the touristy things during the absolutely most heavily tourist-saturated two weeks of the year, you're gonna have a bad time. Have fun waiting on lines and being squeezed into tiny museum galleries and storefronts with thousands of hamplanet weeaboos and confused, annoying baby boomers.
>>
>>1231929
Then don't travel. If you don't "trust yourself" to not start fights with an organized crime syndicate, go seek help, you goddamned child. Try googling "techniques for improving self-control??"
>>
>>1231932
He can have fun playing "spot the gaijin by their neon hair"
>>
>>1231936
Hey man fuck you, its exactly the opposite. I'm very naive and lacking in life experience so i'm a easy target for people to rope into something undesirable. I'm just aware of my shortcomings and want to avoid trouble so everywhere i go i stay away from the shadier parts of the city.
>>
>>1231931
Are you still mad that he won?
>>
>>1231931
WAAAAAAAHHHHH
>>
>>1231948
>>1231949
I'd rather not be labeled as a racist woman hating bigot my whole time there
>>
>>1231943
Alright, fair. I was assuming too much. Look man, last time I was in kabuchiko, I saw maybe a couple dozen different scraggly-looking weeaboo basement dwellers with cameras just wandering around having a fun time looking at the neon signs and whores. At this point it's halfway to being a tourist trap already. It's not really the "seedy underbelly" you'd expect from a red-light district. You'll have people try to yell at you about blowjobs and MAYBE if you're unlucky a girl will come up and pester you by hanging onto your arm. Just keep walking and don't look bothered. you'll be fine.
>>
>>1231953
> if you're unlucky a girl will come up and pester you by hanging onto your arm.
Yeah that's the kind of stuff that got me into trouble in the past. I don't know, maybe next time i'm in Japan i'll take my chances.
>>
What chances do I have of getting a job in Japan that's not prostitution or kabukicho as a female who's a native Portuguese speaker + speaks English at a C2 level (I have a CPE)?
Also have experience as a child caretaker at a children's leisure center, and as a teacher at a homework help center.
>>
>>1231965
You have better odds at winning the lotto
>>
>>1227971
What camera/lens was this photo taken with?
>>
Where are the nicest places to go in Japan in September? I understand it is Summer time so it is hot and humid but it is the only time some of my travel partners have time off.

I was thinking of either Hokkaido or Okinawa, Hokkaido because it will be cooler, Okinawa because it will be like a beach holiday.

We will be staying in Tokyo for little over a week beforehand, doing a couple of day trips to Kyoto and Osaka.
>>
>>1231995
I'm no expert but it looks like the lens is lower than 35mm.
>>
Do Japanese girls like hairy men? My legs, chest, arms and legs are all very hairy. I'm white.
>>
>>1231837
You should be more afraid of being scammed by the Nigerians or Chinese tours offering massages than the yakuza. Even then you can just walk the fuck away from them without a problem
>>
>>1232066

Nope
>>
>>1232112
I got yelled at by a Nigerian after bad mouthing his nightclub which had 5 people on the dancefloor, and at least 4 of them were staff members.

Never go to Casablanca.
>>
>>1231952
Why would you care? How about you don't give a shit? Cmon now.
>>
>>1231952
I was in Japan on the night of the election and a lot of people at Shibuya Crossing were dressing up and making fun of Trump. This guy was even livestreaming it to 30k viewers.
>>
Is it even possible to find a job in Japan on a tourist visa. I got a tefl cert and degree and have been sending stuff around but haven't heard from anybody. If I do it's gonna take months to get stuff lined up. I might have to go back home and do it but that would be embarrassing.
>>
>>1231995
Canon EOS 550D, 50mm f/1.8 canon lens
>>
Hello,

Anyone that has visited or lived in Japan, how is their food concerning peanut allergies? I die and it's basically the only thing that's holding me back right now.

I'd really love to try real japanese food in a restoraunt or some japanese street food. I know countries in SEA use a lot of peanut oils etc when they fry food. I just don't want to eat mc donalds or some shit like that for 2 weeks. When traveling around Europe it's pretty safe because peanuts isn't used in that much food etc. I'll be carrying 2 epipens if something would happen and probably have cards printed with my allergies on.
>>
>>1232243
>probably have cards printed with my allergies on
printed in japanese, I hope?
>>
>>1232249
Yes, of course it will be in japanese. I've seen some of those cards available online for printing. Planning on bringing maybe 4-5 cards if I lose one!
>>
>>1232243
Tree nut allergy here, I'm not allergic to peanuts but from my experience in China and Japan it seems like they don't just toss nuts into everything here because it's more of a delicacy. Have it written down and be careful and you should be fine. While it's not that common here most restaurants understand
>>
>>1232262
Well thanks for your answer. How about streetfood? I guess that's something to look out for!
>>
Anyone happen to know the word for alcoholic apple cider in Japanese?

Alternatively, what are some good Japanese beers to taste? I don't drink much beer myself but I'd like to try it.
>>
>>1232274
Street food in Japan? Do you mean food trucks? Do you mean festival stands?
>>
>>1232280
Kirin ichiban
Sapporo
Asahi super dry
Try them from draft at a good Izakaya
>>
>>1232251
Yes, and spread them across your gear.
I am diabetic and had these small, laminated cards done in japanese on one side and english on the other. Make sure to include the embassy's number as well.
Have one in your wallet, one in your bag, etc.
And most importantly learn the names of the allergies you have in japanese and a sentence saying I am allergic to ....."". Just mention it to the vendors if you are in doubt and they will know most likely. It's easier to prevent shit from happening than to be sorry after.
>>
In a couple years, i want to move to/live in japan. However, joining the workforce there seems like a terrible idea, between the tendency to work overtime a lot and being obligated to go to work parties.
I have vague plans to start an online career for myself, but i know I can't rely on that.
What kinds of jobs in japan are there that avoid those kinds of things?
>inb4 you need to speak/read Japanese
I know. I'm using those two years to build my proficiency (and save up)
>>
>>1232374
Working at an eikaiwa is basically your only choice in that situation.
>>
>>1232376
What about stuff like janitor or garbage man?
I expect myself to be at business level fluency
>>
New bread >>1232386
>>
File: 1480806582362.jpg (121KB, 647x943px) Image search: [Google]
1480806582362.jpg
121KB, 647x943px
>>1229381

Heat - no noticeable difference between those three

Give more information on what your are studying.
What kind is the school you will be attending? A big prestigious, school with long history? A smaller, more humble school?

Are those your only three options?

So you will be living there 2 years? Do you prefer occasional peace and quiet or are you used to a very busy city life?

What area in Tokyo would you be staying at?
Thread posts: 327
Thread images: 20

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.