[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Japan General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 326
Thread images: 38

File: 009.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
009.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
New Japan General

As always, feel free to ask about:
>Traveling to Japan
>Living in Japan
>Teaching in Japan
>Joining the Yakuza
>Getting your weeb fantasies crushed

*Info on prostitution*
>http://rockitreports.com/category/sex-in-tokyo/
>http://erolin.net/
>http://rockitrisingsun.com/

*Note about the JR Pass*
Many people ask about whether or not the JR Rail Pass is worth it. It depends on your itinerary.

>http://www.hyperdia.com/en/
Plug your itinerary into Hyperdia to determine ticket costs, then compare to the below JR Pass options:
>7 day Pass: 29,110¥
>14 day Pass: 46,390¥
>21 day Pass: 59,350¥

Please check the /trv/ sticky before asking questions. It's filled with links to great resources, many of them specific to Japan travel.

Please refer to the old thread while it's still up: >>1220759
>>
File: IMG_5170.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5170.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>1224373
t-9 days for me, the wait is killing me
>>
Reminder that Beppu is shit
>>
>>1224385
why?
>>
>>1224386
run down, sleazy, boring

The onsen are okay, but you can get other, better in Kyushu. If you are in the area, go to Yufuin instead, or even Kurokawa for a really amazing onsen experience
>>
I'm living in Kyushu and I understand you.
Beppu is old and chintzy, not updated.
But I like Beppu, also Kurokawa and Yufuin.

Kyushu has many nice Onsen, for example, Ureshino,Takeo, Kirishima, etc...pls try again someday!
>>
Going to Japan for 2 weeks in around a months time. Thought I might check out a seaplane but I have heard a lot of conflicting information about what to expect inside and getting into one as a foreigner. Does anyone have any experience?
>>
>>1224405
I don't know how you would find a seaplane...are they common in Japan?
>>
File: IMG_20170314_185446.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170314_185446.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
Hakone is pretty nice.
>>
>>1224406
Haha soapland*.
Dunno how seaplane happened
>>
>>1224412
You wanna go to soapland?
Ok, you must not be so petty.
You should pay 30,000yen for 60 min, or 50,000yen for 90min.
Then you can get a nice experience.
>>
>>1224412
There are websites with that information in the OP. Read actual field reports on where to go, what places take foreigners, and which ones offer full sex (it's illegal).

I went to one that offered full service. Paid about 50k yen for 2 hours. Would do again.
>>
>>1224337
Oops. Meant for an English teacher in Japan.
>>
Planning to go to osaka on september.
Whats are the good arcade and bookoff near there? Some good store would be great too.
>>
>>1224373
Anyone have any info of Aeon?

I have a skype interview coming up. I'm from Britain.
>>
File: 1462552186675.jpg (919KB, 3526x1188px) Image search: [Google]
1462552186675.jpg
919KB, 3526x1188px
There is now a /trv/Japan LINE group!
If you would like to join, email your LINE ID to:

trv4chan@gmail dot com
>>
Anyone know any hotels in Tokyo with a gym attached/included in the price?
>>
>>1224416
>>1224420
Ok so they aren't all full service then. A lot of places said they all are as it was the point of them and other places say they aren't. Yes I am aware it is illegal but thought the whole point is they get away with it if he to the way they word it.
Just seems like something to at least try once while there is all.
>>
>>1224474
I sent my ID but still no invite yet
>>
File: seaplane.jpg (44KB, 660x385px) Image search: [Google]
seaplane.jpg
44KB, 660x385px
>>1224406
>>1224412

But, since you asked...

http://www.scmp.com/magazines/post-magazine/travel/article/2042594/see-scenic-southern-japan-seaplane-tokyo-osaka-next
>>
Forgive me for asking yet another TEFL question.

I'm finishing my MSc in Managment this May, is there anything worthwhile I can do with it in Japan, like teach business English to adult professionals or something?
>>
>>1224458
Tenjinbashi-suji shopping street("Tenjinbashi-suji shotengai" in Japanese) is the biggest arcade in Osaka and I like it.But There is not Bookoff around there.
So I suggest Shinsaibashi-suji shopping street("Shinsaibashi-suji shotengai" in Japanese).
It's very popular for both domestic and international tourists and has many shops.And There are 2 Bookoff shops near it.
>>
I'm finding remarkably few things to do in the Kansai area. Doesn't help that the people I'm going with aren't interested in temples, museums, or anything involving too much water (??), which makes kyoto harder to plan for.

Where's a good place to research this stuff?
>>
>>1224654
thanks.
>>
>>1224373
whats the marijuana situation in Japan like?
>>
>>1224665
no
>>
>>1224666
care to elaborate Satan?
>>
>>1224667
Japan has a tighter control on illegal substances than most. It is hard to comeby in most circumstances which results in a high premium so I have been told. If you are thinking "lol I will bring
Some with me" the risk is high you will be discovered. Besides the usual headaches of being deported, it is not unusual to have money/ personal items confiscated with zero recourse against the border/ customs agency.

Go to SEA where it is a plenty, or stay home, get stoned and watch Japanese tv ads on YouTube.
>>
>>1224387
This is accurate, but it is also a throwback to the bubble economy in a charmingly depressing sort of way, so I dig it
>>
I just took a job in Iwakuni working for the government (not a milfag, but i am working on the base)

what am i in for?
>>
>>1224667
It'll be the shittiest yet most expensive weed you've ever gotten and there are zero levels. A little weed is the same as a lot of heroine, its just easier to also bring a distribution charge on you too if you have a significant amount of anything.
>>
>>1224676
Expect to lose respect for 99% of the people in the military
>>
>>1224455
Usually a year at most. Some companies do six-month contracts as an exception.
>>
Thinking of going to Japan, December to mid Jan, why or why not is this a bad idea?
>>
>>1224720

If you want to see showy Hokkaido or Akita it's a good idea. If you want to have a nice temperate time in the sub-tropical south it's a good idea.

Depends what you want to do, but there's lots of good things to do and reasons to go at any time of the year.
>>
>>1224720
Good: New Years celebrations and shit
Bad: Lots of stuff closes around new years, good luck traveling anywhere in the country around new years
>>
>>1224725
Was wondering if the sight seeing, such as gardens, temples, architecture ect is as good as if I were to go during any other season?
>>
>>1224730
In winter you can see some beautiful snowy scapes.
Google these words + "snow".

Kenrokuen
Sirakawago
Kinkakuji
Zenkoji
Sapporo snow festival
and..."monkey" lol
>>
>>1224720
Winter is the best season for Onsen!
>>
>>1224737
Thanks a lot!
I'm a photographer so really keen to get some snow shots, as I have never seen nor experienced snow before!
>>
>>1224750
0/10, apply yourself

sage
>>
>>1224665

Dismal at best, from what I understand.

Culturally, Japan frowns on substance abuse (with the exception of alcohol, for whatever reason) and imposes some serious penalties on drug possession/use. Furthermore, the risk associated with being caught with illicit substances makes the market practically non-existent, meaning that if you were to find cannabis, it'd be the most low-quality shit you'll have had in your life.

Stick to sake and beer while in Japan, you'll be find without the wacky-tobacky.
>>
>>1224703

Translation: prepare for the shock of realizing that military members are just like regular people in a different uniform with a little bit of inflated ego.

Most military chucks are good folks, but the US has created this weird elevated status for them that puts them on a pedestal and makes any sort of infraction on their part seem unthinkable.

As former Navy, I can tell you that they're good guys if you're looking for a time out in town, but avoid the younger dudes who clearly have no experience in adulthood outside of the military. They tend to get drunk and make god-awful decisions that reflect poorly on everyone.
>>
File: gardenothegods.jpg (82KB, 960x640px) Image search: [Google]
gardenothegods.jpg
82KB, 960x640px
>>1224744

>I have never seen nor experienced snow before

Japan seems like the right place to experience it. The worst place to experience snow for the first time is in cities or generally urban settings. People start to drive like fucking morons and ruin the whole "peaceful" aspect of snow.

Another suggestion: Colorado in the winter, near Pike's Peak or any of the range. Garden of the Gods is a great place for winter shots.

Pic related: gf and I in Colorado this past December
>>
File: 250px-JomonStatue.jpg (40KB, 250x354px) Image search: [Google]
250px-JomonStatue.jpg
40KB, 250x354px
Is there somewhere I can buy a little Jomon doll at a gift shop or something? I think they're cute.
>>
File: wpid-photo-20140629162259.jpg (1MB, 2048x1365px) Image search: [Google]
wpid-photo-20140629162259.jpg
1MB, 2048x1365px
Is it unusual to stay at an onsen ryokan alone?

If I'm going to get lots of strange looks, I'll probably go somewhere else.
>>
>>1224798
fuck off.
>>
>>1224808
It's not unusual and what if you can stay or not depends on ryokan.
Many ryokan accept solo tourists, so you should ask them or search on website like Expedia.
>>
>>1224720
I like the cold so the weather wasn't a problem, some things are closed over new years but its really a non-issue as most places will be open
>>
>>1224799
Ootsuka Haniwa Ten
Jonaizaka51, Mashiko-machi, Haga-gun, Tochigi pref.
http://www.geocities.jp/hwfhb259/haniwa.html
>>
I've read the thread so far and can't see anything related.
I'm flying to Japan in a few hours and I'm completely unprepared. Are there any ATMs that I can stick my regular credit/debit card into and access my money without needing to visit currency exchanges (my bank automatically exchanges currencies)? Are these located in Haneda Airport?
>>
>>1224826
they are located everywhere. Just search for 7/11 or Postbank (other ones probably work as well but those are guaranteed)
>>
File: IMG_4181.jpg (470KB, 1296x864px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4181.jpg
470KB, 1296x864px
>>1224826
7-Eleven ATMs always worked for me there where other banks didn't. I hope you condered getting a Revolut card or similar that negates any bank withdrawal and exchange fees. Saved my ass in Japan multiple times. Good luck!
>>
>>1224827
>>1224828
Thanks anons!

I'm not sure what a revolut card is. I don't plan on spending more than I usually would at home, so I'm not too concerned with fees unless they're really egregious.
>>
File: IMG_4458.jpg (246KB, 864x1296px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4458.jpg
246KB, 864x1296px
>>1224830

https://revolut.com/

If you travel often it's worth getting. Unless you take all of your spending money out in one go the ATM fees can add up fast. (% of your transaction plus a flat fee)

Anyway, enjoy Japan. Went last year and it's great.
>>
>>1224831
Woah! That's actually really cool! I don't travel often enough to really warrant one, I don't think (I've only been international 3 times in the past 3 years), if my lifestyle changes I'll definitely get an account.
>>
Japanese men really that bad at clubs? I've heard after a few drinks a lot of them can turn into complete assholes
>>
File: IMG_3379.jpg (85KB, 540x463px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3379.jpg
85KB, 540x463px
What is up Anons,

So i'm going to japan in a few months and I'd like to try some genuine japanese sake. Problem being that when I am going about a month before my 20th birthday. So i'm just curious as to what the alchohol laws are like there and if i should be worried about being carded. Some people say i should be fine and others are saying they've recently been cracking down on it.
>>
>>1224814
>Many ryokan accept solo tourists
So do the others not accept tourists at all, or only in groups?
>>
>>1224837
who cares? They're like 5 pounds
>>
>>1224845

if you're that concerned about it, just go to a konbini and get a "Onecup" sake a #1 choice for people who want genuine tasting sake. No one cares you're under 20 if you go to a family mart or a 7/11 or any konbini for that matter. just press the button "confirming" you're 20 or over, sometimes they press it for you if you look like you don't understand.
>>
>>1224845
I started drinking over there when I was 17, if you look like a gaijin nobody is gonna card you, just go to donki or something and pick out a sake you like. I've never been carded there in my life.
>>
File: 567.jpg (259KB, 1920x1280px) Image search: [Google]
567.jpg
259KB, 1920x1280px
>>1224744
The snow monkeys (Yudanaka Jigokudani Yaen-koen is the place you're looking for) are popular for taking pictures.
The onsen town where it's at was also not looking bad for snowy scenery, though I suppose any onsen town in a snowy area will be great in winter.
>>
>>1224837
Their alcohol tolerance is almost non-existent
>>
Optimal booking times for Tokyo in the summer? Thinking of going in July, how long have I got before everywhere is booked?
>>
>>1224938
June, that's when the rainy season starts so flights are usually cheap then
>>
>>1224937
Whats some other good souvenirs like this?. Like some sort of historically/culturally relevant item. Maybe a hand fan
>>
>>1224799
>>1224952
Oops... meant
>>
>be last summer
>tfw flying from guam
>first stop on the way to US is Narita, JP
>sleepy as fuck waiting by my gate
>about 3 hours of layaway for next flight
>can't stay up
>knock out
>everyones boarded
>still asleep
>japs call my name on intercom and i wake up gasping
>panicking like a motherfucker
>fuckfuckfuck
>hustle my ass to the desk and scan my ticket to board
>whew, fuck, shit, fuck
>make it
>fuck
>stow my shit and fly 12hrs across the pacific back to the US
>that was too fucking close
>too fucking close

if it weren't for the announcement i would have been royally fucked and gotten stuck in an unfamiliar land lol

but man that was some scary shit
>>
I know the whole "maid cafe's are a rippoff" thing but has anyone been to a few in Akihabara? Looked at a few and the drink/food prices weren't THAT unreasonable compared to other things around.
>>
File: 1489356317172s.jpg (3KB, 125x119px) Image search: [Google]
1489356317172s.jpg
3KB, 125x119px
>Living in Japan
What about the Job Market? What difficulties could I face? Im thinking of living in Japan and work with I.T.
>>
>>1224961
I've been to @Home. They had english menus but only a few of the maids spoke english. Ate omurice with a tank drawn on top and got my photo taken with a maid of my choice.
And you're right, it's not that expensive if you consider it a sight-seeing trip. It's only a ripoff if you make a habit of regularly eating at one.
Bring a group of friends unless you have a high tolerance for public awkwardness.
>>
>>1224966
Yeah I was always told they were tourist ripoffs but was kinda surprised to see the amount of English reviews they look fun to visit. I have an airbnb stupidly close to aki and I really don't mind any public awkwardness, mostly just going since the drink prices are decent and a bunch are open till 5am. Probably going to visit a few with some friends I am going with to japan anyways.

>>1224960
>set alarm in airport 20 minutes before take off
>never miss a page or fail to wake up
If you know how long your layover is and you are concerned about falling asleep just use the alarm feature on your phone.
>>
>>1224847
Some ryokan don't accept solo I'don't know why but maybe efficient reason.
They accept only group tourist(at least two person)
>>
I will be staying in Japan for about a year and I will have to open a bank account there. Anyone have any recommendations?
>>
>>1224971
Do you have a link to what you are talking about because it must be a very specific one.
>>
>>1224960
fuck that would be one of my nightmares. I've missed a short cross-country flight before and that was hassle enough.

And I've had that oh shit moment once
>mindlessly wasting time
>looking at duty free or some shit
>wasted too much time
>My flight is boarding for fuck knows how long
>sprinted to the gate
>huge backpack bouncing around
>past a huge window
>get to the entrance and then realise
>my whole flight were there calmly waiting to board
>they all watched me sprint past the window like a retard
>didn't board for like 15 minutes
>>
>>1224981
Google by such words "ryokan not accept solo"
Then you can find some pages like this.
https://www.japantoday.com/category/travel/view/table-for-one-tips-for-traveling-solo
>>
>>1224988
>article from 5 years ago

There might be some like that but so long as you can pony up the cash I don't see that being a normal thing that the hotel would reject you for. You could always email and ask the places you are looking for and then put some john doe guest names
>>
>>1224964
>What difficulties could I face?
Japanese work culture is absolute shit, so I hope you find a western company to work for
>>
>>1224964
There are definitely a bunch of contract work in japan, but you'll need to get sponsored and really sell it. Your best bet would be looking at government work assuming you can get clearance.

>>1225040
Also this
>>
>>1224978
Everyone says Shinsei since you can use 7・11ATMs.
>>
>>1224961
maybe you just looked at the food items? they also have a fee for just being there and additional shit like pictures and stuff. It's definitively more expensive than normal food, but still worth for the experience at least once
>>
>>1224798
The pristine snowscapes are merely Winter's filtered, carefully selected instagram shots. You don't truly know winter until you've experienced the blinding snow, heavy slush, and never-ending need to shovel your driveway when there's a snowstorm in your city.
>>
I'm traveling with a group of about 20 ppl, we going for a Smash bros tourney in akihabara, anyone know any good hostels for cheap round there that can do like 10 man rooms? (I've posted here before, and you guys were super helpful)
>>
>>1224483
>Just seems like something to at least try once while there is all

if you dont use prostitutes at home already can you even imagine trying to do it in a foreign country?
>>
>>1224828

aww shit the new sexy zone single dropped?!
>>
>>1224826
>my bank automatically exchanges currencies

so you're fine then
>>
File: imgp1731.jpg (149KB, 655x453px) Image search: [Google]
imgp1731.jpg
149KB, 655x453px
>>1224826

>this is an ATM in Japan

have fun! but as other anon's have said the 7-11 ATMs are your best bet, added bonus of them not being fucking closed when the bank is closed, or there's like 20 ATMs at Haneda airport
>>
>>1224845

you'll look like you're thirty over there ad most places they won't want the potential embarrassment of asking the foreigner if they have ID, me and some mates went when were like 18 and never got carded and were buying beer and drinking in bars all the time, I think potentially only clubs would be the place you might have an issue
>>
>>1224964

work for a white company. But you'd probably actually be able to find a job in IT there, try your own consulate website's careers first they often have jobs in IT and other areas that aren't diplomatic, then foreign companies, then Japanese. a Japanese company likely wouldn't hire you unless you are at like N1 level though
>>
I'm getting ready to making bookings for my summer trip, and am tentatively looking at airbnb (which I've never used before) for accommodation. Can anyone with more experience say if this one looks fine?

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/15529825

It seems pretty good to me - affordable, enough space for two people, reasonably well located as far as I can tell, reviews seem positive - but there could be things I'm not alert to.
>>
>>1225075

It't not really a traditional Airbnb, it's more of a hostel. Your room is tiny and you have a shared bathroom.

The location is okay if you don't really want to go out past midnight, otherwise getting there is gonna be a pain in the ass if you're out in Shinjuku or Shibuya

price looks fine
>>
I'm going to study in NihonU for 5 months, how much money should I have saved for food and necessary things such as internet and travel around Tokyo?
I'm thinking 4000 euros should be enough (note; I'll be living in a student apartment, so rent is not included).
>>
>>1225076
Neither of us are the drinking/clubbing sort, so I imagine getting back after midnight won't be much of an issue. Room doesn't really need to be massive either, as long as we can sleep and move around comfortably, and I can live with shared bathroom. If that's all then it should be fine for my purposes, thanks.

Also, is there anything you need to worry about as a first time airbnb user? Do they want reviews from previous hosts or do they not usually bother with that sort of thing? Should I contact the host before trying to make the booking?
>>
>>1225066
How is this?
https://www.sakura-hotel.co.jp/jp/asakusa
>>
>>1225075

you could stay in business hotels in Ueno even for a little more money and get a decent sized room with a private bathroom
>>
>>1225084
Any downsides? Got a particular recommendation?
>>
>>1225085

I've stayed here twice and it's been pretty good, Ueno is a good place to base yourself in Tokyo I've found, it's not far from anything and the transport links are all very close ( JR Ueno about a 5-10 minute walk, subway like 200m away from this hotel)

http://www.stayto.jp/en/

used to be "Oak Hotel" when I stayed a few years ago, it's nothing fancy but the rooms are a decent size, staff are helpful and friendly (they let us keep several suitcases there for 2 weeks for free while travelled around because we were coming back to stay there again) plus most importantly you get your own (small) full bathroom.

There are comparable places around it too, yeah it costs more but an in-room bathroom is fucking great
>>
>>1225076
>you don't really want to go out past midnight, therwise getting there is gonna be a pain in the ass
Not him, but curious why. Do trains/subway stop at midnight?
>>
>>1224373
t-40 days
>i never tried japanese food
how fucked i am?
>>
>>1225089

basically fine, it's all good more or less, just eat ramen or ricebowls, and dumplings to start if you aren't keen on the more exotic stuff. There's a lot of western or at least western-style food there too.
>>
>>1225087
It does look nice, but unless my exchange rates are muddled that's over twice as expensive. The airbnb is under £30 per night for a twin bed room, and the cheapest twin room here is 8800 yen which is about £63. Have I gotten confused about something or is that right?
>>
>>1225088
yes. At that point you'll need a taxi which are expensive as fuck in Tokyo, although they are lowering the base fair soon (no Uber)
>>
>>1225082
Depends, if it's listed as instant book then you don't need to contact, if it's not then you have to kinda talk a bit, say your purpose etc. If you're a first time user then you can't have a review, can you?
>>
>>1224385
Beppu is almost like peppu and it means butt in Finnish. Great city.
>>
>>1224808
Doing this next month, if i get strange looks i'll let you know
>>
Is Nara worth going to? I have 4 days left in Kyoto and I still have Osaka and Hiroshima day trips planned. Did Himeji today.
>>
I like Nara but it is little similar to Kyoto and you have only 4 days so I think you don't have to go.
Instead I suggest you to stay 1 night at Hirishima.
>>
>>1225087
>>1225091
Did I miss something then? If it's <£30 vs >£60 then I'll probably book the airbnb later today.
>>
>>1225052
They sound pretty good, but they don't have an English-language office anywhere close to where I'm gonna stay, but I suppose other banks won't have English-speaking staff either? Also, do you happen to know what a bankbook is? From what I gathered it's some kind of paper book where your balance statements get printed into? We don't have this kind of thing where I'm from.
>>
>>1225119
Hiroshima is better than Nara, but that's not to say Nara is bad. Consider the travel time though. If you go to Hiroshima you're spending 6 1/2 hours that day in a train since it's round trip. In Nara you're only spending 3 1/2 hours in the train. Personally I'd stay in the region and do Nara and save Hiroshima for some other time.
>>
>>1225161
IIRC most all the atm's have an "english" option, much like a bunch of atms have spanish options in the US.
>>
Any good buyfag stores? I'll be in the Tokyo/Osaka store and i've got a lot of money to spend, looking for anything unique
>>
Travelling to Osaka from UK tomorrow.

Second Time in Japan.
>>
>>1225161
YOu can apply by mail.

http://www.shinseibank.com/english/e_speakers/pop_openaccount_movie.html

Most banks won't have English speaking staff, but the ATMs usually have a button to switch to English, especially at 7/11, etc.

A bankbook is what you said, don't need to keep one but it can help you track your money use.
>>
>>1224669
Be and my brothers got offered weed by some dudes into hip hip cause they thought we looked like cool black dudes. I regret not taking them up on it. Easy access to bitches.
>>
>>1224462
I worked for AEON for a year and half. Feel free to ask me anything. I never had to do a Skype interview though. Wear a nice suit.

>>1224501
This is definitely possible. Check GaijinPot. You probably won't have a lot of luck, since almost none of the jobs are for overseas hires but with a Masters you may have some luck.

>I'm finding remarkably few things to do in the Kansai area.
You are thoroughly trippin man.
>Not interested in temples or museums or water
>I know lets go to an island country with a bunch of those things
Wew.
>>1224665
There it is. Literally a weed question in every Japan thread. Why are people so intent on getting weed in Japan? Fuck.
>>1224845
You should be fine m8 as long as you don't look like a child. They won't card foreigners.
>>1224964
I would pretty firmly advise against not pursuing IT work in Japan. You can make double the money or more in many instances being a programmer in the US. Salaries in Japan are pathetic for lower level/starter stuff (like literally English teacher pay) and pretty pedestrian for upper level/management positions.
>>1225089
You'll be fine. There will be something you'll like. Japanese food is pretty safe. I'd describe its primary tastes as "fresh" and "savory".
>>
>>1225263
*Would firmly advise against pursuing IT work in Japan
>>
>>1225263
Sources, please.
>>
Serious question, where can i find some MILFs at? Any specific district or advice on picking them up?
>>
>>1225285
Shit forgot to say, in tokyo.
>>
Whats the best hotel to stay in tokyo?
>>
>>1225291
What kind of hotel, do you want an american Style hotel, Capsule hotel? Costs can be much higher than you think for a room in tokyo for a Hotel.
>>
>>1225285
>>1225286
Also genuinely interested in this question
>>
I was looking at the shiodome or the hilton in odaiba, but i wanted to hear some opinions
>>
>>1225302
That's going to be a bit pricey I hope you realize. Do you really need a hotel?
>>
>>1224665
Its around, if you hang at bars you could probably come across it. I found it was more common in Osaka while I was there. Accidentally found a head shop late at night and there was some high AF jap guy buying a bong lmao
>>
File: Screenshot_2510.png (31KB, 289x371px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2510.png
31KB, 289x371px
been thinking about going to japan with a friend and next olympics seems like a good opportunity
is this a good plan?
>>
>>1225264
This. What surprises me is why haven't hotshot youngsters made any disruptive startups yet. Japanese technology is incredibly dated and their internet services are fucking awful.
>>
anyone know where to buy genga or cels in japan?
>>
>>1225321
Expect to pay more for everything
>>
>>1225321
if you want a good hotel start looking now and expect everything to be stupid expensive
>>
7 days left, the anticipation is killing me
>>
File: naruhodo.png (74KB, 662x635px) Image search: [Google]
naruhodo.png
74KB, 662x635px
Gonna be stuck in Kyoto for six weeks as of April 3rd.
Going for work, primarily, but I'll have my fair share of free time, but not enough to really travel further than Osaka on weekends.
I'll be staying around the center of the city, in Kagiyacho.

Aside from hitting up shrines, temples, and historical landmarks, anything cool to do in the city?
Nishiki Market's probably going to be a usual stop for me.
>>
>>1225291
Park hyatt/four seasons/mandarin

All expensive as fuck of course. Best really depends on the price range you're looking at
>>
File: 0202181820_5892f95c559cc.jpg (343KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
0202181820_5892f95c559cc.jpg
343KB, 800x533px
Not sure if this is a common thing to do but I decided this is a good place to ask. Are there any nice driving roads to drive around on in japan? I will be starting my trip in Tokyo and though this would be a nice way to see the country. Does anyone have experience with renting a car/driving in Japan as a foreigner?

Pic semi related
>>
I'll be mostly staying in Tokyo during my trip, but I want to spend 4 days seeing other cities. If I spend a day seeing Kyoto, Osaka, Kobe, and then Hiroshima before going back to tokyo by the evening, will that work? Is Kyoto or Osaka better for travel connections?

Also, do Japanese trains stop leaving after midnight, or will the last train of the day necessarily arrive before midnight too?
>>
>>1225393
Osaka is like an hour drive. If you have a day or two off, you could see other cities nearby such as Kobe, Nara, Himeji maybe even Hiroshima.

As far as Kyoto itself, the drinking/party area is on Kiyamachi Street. I'd recommend visiting Arashiyama and the surrounding area if you want to see some nature, generally pretty scenery.
>>
>>1225395

ain't nobody on fucking /trv/ staying at the Four Seasons though
>>
Land in Tokyo at 7pm and then head out early the next day. Any suggestions for a cheap night somewhere? Something nicer than a manga cafe preferably.
>>
>>1225442
business/capsule hotel.
>>
>>1225442
The airport hotel?
>>
File: image.png (2MB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
2MB, 750x1334px
>>1225440
Citation needed
>>
>>1225285
Still waiting for that answer on japanese milfs in tokyo.
>>
Is it true you can in trouble with customs over doujin? I plan on going to comiket this summer. What's the best way to get dousing home for a reasonable price
>>
>>1225466
Sheeeit
>>
4 days left...
Done:

>> Asakusa
>>Tokyo Skytree
>>Ryogoku
>>Akihabara
>>Chiyoda
>>Art & Craft Museum
>> Ikebukuro

Shibuya, Shinjuku, Ueno, Odaiba

What am i missing?
>>
File: 1487380116347.jpg (17KB, 471x500px) Image search: [Google]
1487380116347.jpg
17KB, 471x500px
>>1224373
I'm in Japan for just over two weeks, from mid(ish) April to early May (Land in Narita at about 8pm).

Wondering if there's a particular area of Tokyo to stay in if I just want to walk around the city checking out shops, restaurants, sites, bars, parks etc. Not much of a club person but would like to see some wacky stuff or some kind of nightlife.

Still on the fence over the JR Pass aswell since the only things I would like to see outside of Tokyo are/is; Mt Fuji Shibazakura festival , the deers in Nara and maybe Hiroshima. Then again I really don't have much knowledge of what there is to see and do in Japan.

Also curious if there's hotels with gyms, mainly interested in weights since I'll be walking heaps for cardio anyway.

I don't want my trip to be too hectic with travelling all over the place and switching hotels every 2 days, just want to enjoy it at my pace but if anyone has any suggestions (hotels, entertainment, food etc) I am open to them.
>>
Any tips for wwii military/naval museums?

Its a shame they couldnt keep a single BB alive to be a museum.
>>
I've got a lady friend living in Ōmuta. Planning on going to an onsen, shes thinking we should go to Beppu. Anyone know of a good ryokan there to stay for two days?
>>
>>1225494
If you're going down to kyoto or hiroshima a rail pass is worth it, otherwise don't bother
>>
>>1225479
Meiji jingu/harajuku maybe? Takeshita street is ok for that three story daiso if anything
>>
>>1225494
Plug your trips to kyoto and hiroshima into hyperdia. Check the cost. Check the cost of a week long JR pass. Which costs less? There's your answer for the JR pass.
>>
>>1225440
I'll be at the Park Hyatt Tokyo and Andaz Tokyo in 3 weeks though.
>>
>>1225475
99% of the time they won't check

you'd have to be really unlucky to get checked the 1% and even then it's gonna be fine unless you carry loli/guro doujins or something
>>1225507
see >>1224385
Go to Kurokawa, they have some amazing Ryokans and Onsen there (or any other place that the Japanese guy >>1224402 here recommended
>>
>>1225496
Pre dreadnaught battleships but those suck
>>
Visiting Japan in winter, what are the places to visit or places that are at their best in the winter times?
>>
File: tinderlogo.jpg (30KB, 1252x1252px) Image search: [Google]
tinderlogo.jpg
30KB, 1252x1252px
Anybody have any experience using tinder in Japan (specifically Tokyo)? I have pretty fair success here at home (NYC, so, somewhat comparable), and was wondering if it would be worth it to try to meet up with some qts. Even if we don't fug, it's nice to just hang with new people. Thoughts?
>>
Any opinions on Hirosaki? Friend says I should go visit there because it was nice.
>>
any recs on websites to check live music?
(indie or rap if that helps?)
grateful for any pointers or advice
>>
>>1225424
http://fun2drive-japan.com/ reviews i have read for this are actually v positive and i can vouch for roads in this area. imo maybe this would be least trouble way to get a nice road and car? (FYI they do have a yellow FD)
>>
>>1225507
i think Yufuin is better, bur if your gf wanna go to Beppu you give up.
>>
>>1225730
I used Tinder there for the first time ever, with an awful picture and no idea what I was doing, and still ended up at a love motel with a cute girl after a really fun night. So sure, go at it, it's 100x easier than NYC would be.

But also keep in mind that they're asian-asian, maybe the most timid of the asian cultures with one of the worst levels of english knowledge. So you need to approach them with kid gloves, don't try to be witty or tease them at all, and just be really nice to them in general. Speak in simple language.
>>
>>1225761
not op but thanks for advice anon - i might try this next time i go - have always kept to myself and felt like i miss out on seeing a lot of things
>>
>>1225557
Oh fuck me too!
Wanna party?
>>
File: 1380225559790.jpg (19KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1380225559790.jpg
19KB, 400x400px
I'm going to Japan at some point in the near future for 3 weeks. I'm planning on staying in a hostel/airbnb for about 1 week but sometimes I just want to be in a decent hotel. How much would a hotel in tokyo or kyoto cost me for about 2 weeks? Obviously the prices will fluctuate greatly depending on area and quality. But a general idea would be lovely.
>>
>>1225798
kyoto is always more booked out - for something above hostel level you are looking at about ~ 60 usd a night or more I'd say? Piece Hostel in kyoto and has option of private room.

My pick for reasonable tokyo hotel is shibuya grandbell, 200m from station, off to side so quiet and 5day+ gets discount - from memory at the time this worked out to be under 70 a night for me (good exchange rate) this also included breakfast.
>>
>>1225808
Is Osaka any cheaper than Kyoto? Does it have better rail links to Tokyo, Kobe, and Hiroshima?
>>
>>1224498
Is that Miyajima?
>>
Planning a trip for early June, i know everything about getting there, the thing is i don't have anyone else to go with

It's my first time going abroad and my parents are giving me grief over going alone saying i should have someone to go with

I'm from the UK and 19

Do you think they're right? Should i try find someone to go with
>>
>>1225850
If you've got common sense and know enough japanese to ask basic questions, then there's no problem. Assuming you're a dude.
>>
>>1225864
Yes i am a white male

He he
>>
>>1225850
Do what you want to do, not what your parents want you to do. If you feel as though you'll enjoy your trip more alone than with people then do that. Personally I don't think I could handle going to such a place with other people, Japan is one of those places I want to explore without being tied down by what others want.
>>
whats up with the housing market in Japan? i see the tokyo area is expensive af, but then i see more rural houses going for like 30k$ USD.

thats cheaper than some places in the midwest.
>>
>>1225875
Makes me wonder about the possibility of buying some property in a rural area and visiting every now and then. Although it's probably a legal nightmare.
>>
>>1225228
Who you flying with and much were the flights?
>>
should I convert like 1k euro to yen from where I live or do it there? does it matter?
>>
>>1225877
from what i can tell, its not. the legal restrictions regarding foreigners buying property are non-existent. the only thing i'm unsure of is the tax structure.
>>
>>1225557
>>1225786
>$700 a night
Wtf. How much do you make to be able to afford that?
>>
>>1225918
T R U S T F U N D
>>
>>1225730
>>1225761
Can second using Tinder in Japan, as long as you're not a truly disgusting fat-ass neckbeard you'll do fine.
>>
>>1225918
Credit card points.
>>
>>1225730
>>1225934
Nice, thanks. Very promising.
>>
>>1225440
I mean I can afford to but it's still a waste of money. I'd rather spend $4k on other travel related things a hotel room is just a place to sleep. Unless you're going for the whole resort vacation thing
>>
So is Whisky big in Japan? They seem to export quite a lot of it. Any cool places in Tokyo to drink it or a distillery or something?
>>
>>1225263
If not IT, then what jobs do you think would do well in Japan?
>>
>>1225730
Just be friendly and don't tease them like others have said, also if you know some basic japanese you'll win MEGA points with them
>>
>>1225965
If you do IT then go in for customer/business relations. Having a fluent english speaker is useful
>>
>>1225850
just make sure you have a pocket wifi rental (i use global wifi) worth it for saving walking/avoiding wrong train time alone imo.
>>
>>1225904
probably just do it there.
>>
>>1225962
Yamazaki just outside tokyo.
>>
So I'm looking to apply for a working holiday visa, and I have more than enough funds, but they ask for a bank statement, and say that you can't any any large singular deposits.

Well, I have a $9000 cash deposit, from a combination of selling some things, and having a loan I made to a friend repaid. I already had more than the required amount ($2500, I have about 20,000), but I'm really worried it's gonna be an issue.

Anyone have experience with this?
>>
>>1224373
i hear there is little to no party drug culture in japan, would a foreigner have trouble finding MDMA in a nightclub in tokyo? and what is the general attitude towards it?
>>
>>1226068

Mate, it's fucking hard to get anything, it's expensive when you do, and often shit quality.

I scored 1 dinga my entire time there, and it def had mdma in it, but such a low amount as to be a massive fucking disappointment.

Maybe you'll get lucky? Not worth the risks imo. Go to a shit-tier asian country for drugs and partying.
>>
>>1226068
Japan is honestly the worst asian country you could go to if you want to do drugs on vacation. Pick literally anywhere else
>>
>>1226075
>japan is literally the worst country
>in countries like Singapore, you get the death penalty and in The Philippines you get shot by Duertes death squadrons

Get a load of this weeb
>>
>>1226082
Singapore has the death penalty for small amounts? Didn't know that. You have a lot more to worry about in the philippines than getting killed by death squads during a drug deal
>>
>>1224720
it's a good option if you wanna go skiing or snowboarding, plus theme parks like Disney or Fuji-q get pretty empty after Jan 4th

the downside is that it's gonna be cold and the sun will go down before 5pm
>>
Anyone know the hooker district in Miyazaki city?
>>
File: cat colon three.jpg (83KB, 418x467px) Image search: [Google]
cat colon three.jpg
83KB, 418x467px
>>1226068
>>1226070
>>1226075
>there is little to no party drug culture degeneracy in Japan
>>
>>1226107
Fuck off to SEA with that shit or read the OP.
>>
>>1226110

Correct.

Yeah, you can get anything if you know the right people. Its not common though, and you're a liar if you claim otherwise.

But we're all very impressed tho.
>>
>>1226135
You may have misunderstood, I wasn't saying there is party drug culture degeneracy in japan, I was expressing satisfaction at the fact that there isn't.
>>
File: upsidedown.jpg (2MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
upsidedown.jpg
2MB, 2048x1536px
Rate my itinerary, leaving late-April.
Am I spending too much time in some cities?

6 days : Tokyo and day trips from Tokyo
4 days: Kyoto and day trip to Nara
2 days : Hiroshima and Miyajima
2 days : Go down to Kumamoto in Kyushu and then drive to a cheap airbnb in the mountains
5 days : Osaka and day trip to Himeji

Also I kind of fucked up and booked my 3 week trip with Golden week right in the middle, so the visits to Kyoto and Hiroshima end up during Golden Week. I've heard differing opinions on how bad it gets, I don't care if it's crowded but will getting train tickets be problematic? We'll be getting the 14 day JR pass.
>>
File: DSC00538.jpg (5MB, 2880x1921px) Image search: [Google]
DSC00538.jpg
5MB, 2880x1921px
>>1225395
>>1225440

You would be surprised (Park Hyatt)
>>
>>1226228
Pool doesn't look as nice as the one in Shanghai
>>
File: file.png (335KB, 815x587px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
335KB, 815x587px
Redbull me on tattoos in onsens. I have a abstract arm sleeve, nothing yakuza-related, am I still fucked?
>>
>>1226241

It was pretty good. The views are the best part.
>>
Going to Fuji Q.
Has anyone that's been there have any advice or want to share their experience?
>>
File: (monkey).gif (455KB, 228x228px) Image search: [Google]
(monkey).gif
455KB, 228x228px
>tfw just realized I'll be in Tokyo for Shibazakura
Aw yuss
>>
>>1226223
looks fine except for Kumamoto desu. The castle is still closed after the Earthquake so there's really not much to see there

Getting train tickets might be difficult during Golden week yes
>>
>>1226270
Thanks. The driving in the country part is the main reason for Kumamoto, it just happens to be the stop we get off at. We'll probably go look at it real quick just before getting the car.
>>
>>1226249
Tattoos are really taboo in Japan, gang related or not. I'd recommend wrapping your tats up if you can just so it doesn't cause you any trouble.
>>
>>1226249
Love your tat bro
>>
>>1226272
Yeah, that's what I heard. Gonna have to invest in some waterproof cream I guess.
>>1226277
Thanks senpai
>>
Anyone got some links to Escorts in Osaka?
>>
>>1225877
In areas with huge rural depopulation people will gladly sell off or cheaply rent property when it's empty because their old folks who didn't move to the city have died.
I think I saw a documentary where a young couple rented a whole house for $25 a month or so in rural Kyushu.
>>
Anyone ever hired a driver so they did not have to deal with the other-side-of-the-road nonsense? Any good sites etc to do so?
>>
>>1226249
Most onsens still won't allow them. I went with a friend who has a full sleeve, a half sleeve, and a bunch of other work, and we got shit even just doing stuff like going to the gym. There's a great site that's designed specifically for finding tattoo-friendly baths. I forget the URL, but a bit of googling should bring it up. It's a little extra work, and there might not be one within walking distance of where you're staying, but not too bad overall. Your life won't be impossible.
>>
are japanese girls really dead fish in bed?
>>
>>1226345
Smell similarly, too
>>
>>1226345
either that or they make annoying screeching noises.
>>
File: screeches in japanese.png (79KB, 367x391px) Image search: [Google]
screeches in japanese.png
79KB, 367x391px
>>
>>1226345
No they are not, don't let porn videos dictate what you think women are like in bed
>>
>>1226272
I got searched to fuck at haneda for having wrist tattoos
>>
Where are the best spots in Tokyo, osaka/kyoto to find gaijin hunters?
>>
Alright, formatting this for here would be next to impossible, so I hope this is good enough.

This is my plan for my trip, how shit is it?

The / implies I am traveling from first area to the second one.

I plan to see a lot of the generic "top ten" whatever sites, but also really like ww2 history, weebshit, and the Sengoku period, so if you have any particular suggestions besides the yamato museum, the atomic bomb peace museums, and some of the major shrines that have WW2 stuff, I would love to hear them. Logistically my biggest worries are the alpine route day, as I will want to use a luggage forwarding service, and then still need to travel through to Tokyo, also I fly into Ishigaki at like 830, and don't have too many chances to get a bus into town. How expensive are taxis there?

Finally, this is my first time in Japan, I have a 14 day rail pass to activate on the 1st of april, but for Tokyo are these worth buying at the airport (if I can) or should I just load up a pasmo card and use that?

http://www.tokyometro.jp/en/ticket/value/travel/index.html

Anyway, here is my itinary:
3/24/17 Tokyo
3/25/17 Tokyo
3/26/17 Tokyo
3/27/17 Tokyo
3/28/17 Tokyo
3/29/17 Tokyo
3/30/17 Tokyo
3/31/17 Tokyo
4/1/17 Tokyo/Nagoya
4/2/17 Nagoya
4/3/17 Nagoya/Osaka
4/4/17 Osaka
4/5/17 Osaka
4/6/17 Osaka
4/7/17 Osaka
4/8/17 Osaka
4/9/17 Osaka/Hiroshima
4/10/17 Hiroshima
4/11/17 Hiroshima/Nagasaki
4/12/17 Nagasaki
4/13/17 Nagasaki/Takayama
4/14/17 Takayama
4/15/17 Takayama/Guam
4/16/17 Guam
4/17/17 Guam
4/18/17 Guam
4/19/17 Guam
4/20/17 Guam/Ishigaki
4/21/17 Ishigaki/Yonaguni
4/22/17 Yonaguni/Ishigaki
4/23/17 Ishigaki/Okinawa
4/24/17 Okinawa
4/25/17 Okinawa/Tateyama
4/26/17 Tateyama/Kurobe Apline Route/Tokyo
4/27/17 Tokyo
4/28/17 tokyo/Sapporo/Toya
4/29/17 Toya/Esan
4/30/17 Esan/Hakodate
5/1/17 Hakodate/Matsumae
5/2/17 Sapporo
5/3/17 Sapporo
5/4/17 Sapporo/Rishiri
5/5/17 Rishiri/Wakkanai
5/6/17 Wakkanai/Sendai
5/7/17 Sendai/Tokyo
5/8/17 Tokyo
>>
>>1226398
Tbh Hiroshima should just be a passover town, isnt that great at all. It has museums and gardens and stuff but really the only worth thing is the atomic bomb museum and statue. I would spend that extra day in tokyo as it is a very big city and its easy to miss out on alot of things. Also go to kyoto 10/10 at least two days. Maybe miss out some of guam and osaka to go there
>>
>>1226402
Right, I could not paste the "daytrip" section due to char limits. I am actually meeting a friend in hiroshima, and on my way there will stop at himeji castle, so there should hopefully be enough to do. Regarding Kyoto, yeah, taking daytrips in from osaka on a few days.

Thanks for the reply.
>>
okay, so whats the value of money there?

A candy bar costs around two dollars in America. How much yen would it cost for a candy bar in Japan?

does that make sense?
>>
>>1226329
Yeah, it's called taxi.
>>
I don't travel much

Is there an appreciable difference in the volume of tourists in touristy spots between the weekend and weekdays?
>>
>>1226429
The exchange rate doesn't work like that.
You'll go broke trying to eat like you do in the US, but if you eat what Japanese people eat you'll end up saving money
>>
>>1226429
google PPP, you fucking high school dropout
>>
>>1226345
Dead starfish
>>
>>1226429
Just look up the big mac index for an idea of what how much cheaper or more expensive things will be. It's not perfect but I assume you aren't doing an economic paper so it will be fine for what you're wondering.
>>
>>1224373

Going to Japen in a few months for a couple of weeks.

Wat do???

I mean other than hitting Comiket and maybe Akiba and Nakano Broadway, I have no idea what nor where to go.

Other than maybe stalk Kojima Productions see if I bump into the guy.

Any food joint recommendations or miscellaneous places to go for someone with my kind of autism?

Is it better to rent a bike, or use the transit system? what do I need for busses/trains?

halp
>>
>>1226491
how long are you going for? Comiket is already going to eat up 3 days, you can calculate another two for Akihabara and Nakano.

Other than that you could try googling for real life places of your favorite Chinese cartoon and visit them (A friend of mine went to see the bridge from Anohana and I went to see Chitanda's house from Hyouka). If you're interested in non-weeb stuff, check the sticky, OP and Japan guide.

>Is it better to rent a bike, or use the transit system? what do I need for busses/trains?
I wouldn't really recommend renting a bike in Tokyo. Your best bet is the JR train system (especially the Yamanote line) and the metro. Get a Suica or Pasmo when you arrive at the airport (they work as top up cards that you "scan" at the gate each time you go in and out and it automatically deducts money)
>>
I cant find any foot fetish related doujinshi or anything here. This blows.
>>
>>1226530
good
>>
>>1226491
>Wat do???

kill yourself.
>>
Please tell me how to date/pick up a Japanese woman... I have lived as a hikikomori for five years and am 19... I am going crazy without social contact.
>>
Best area to stay in Tokyo as a tourist? Hotel recommendation?
>>
File: Waiting Patiently.jpg (18KB, 229x220px) Image search: [Google]
Waiting Patiently.jpg
18KB, 229x220px
>>1226563
Renounce all social contact to achieve true happiness anon.

I am to understand that a 2-4 year university teaching degree is the best route to a Japan visa, however teaching English in particular is really not something I want to pool that many years of my life into just to jump ship for something better like most do, I have been pondering what college degree would accurately fit my skills:

>Communication
>Insightfulness
>Meta-Explorative Social Constructs
> Linguistic Capability
>Social Ingenuity

If I could find a relatively short 2-4 year degree that fits those particular set of skills that can translate into a comfortable life in Japan I would literally have 1/2 of my life fulfilled living and raising a family in a more stabilized country.
>>
>>1226329
Yeah, it's called not being a dirty pleb faggot from some shit tier non-country where they drive on the wrong side of the road
>>
File: Screenshot_20170321-072919.png (148KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170321-072919.png
148KB, 1440x2560px
Had a great time. Already want to go back bros.
>>
>>1224385
I have a night booked in Beppu (between a stay in Osaka in Hiroshma). Should I maybe replace that with a night in Himeji? Any other worthwhile splace in Western Japan?
>>
>>1226499
>for real life places of your favorite Chinese cartoon
http://anime-tourism.com/
Knock yourself out. Or your browser when you try loading the complete map.
>>
In japan at the moment, got a couple of days left, any safe ways to meet baishun girls? I ask because of work reasons and not because I want to bang schoolgirls and this Google captcha makes me paranoid. Although this job may not exist, but it may also.
>>
>>1226853
You're 20 years too late
>>
File: kokosac sleep.png (412KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
kokosac sleep.png
412KB, 480x640px
>See this thread mentioned on another board
>First link is about Postitution

Wew lad. So hows the nightlife in Tokyo and other major cities? are bars accepting of westerners and is it a decent way to mix with natives if only one of my group speaks a tiny bit of Japanese
>>
Whats a good day trip out of Tokyo for family of 4 with the youngest being 20? I was thinking of a Mt Fuji tour thing where they take you to the 5th station but there is a lot of sitting in a bus. What do you guys think we should do?
>>
>>1226876
sure why not
>>1226904
Kamakura, Mt. Takao, Yokohama
>>
>>1226574
Anything in walking distance of the Yamanote line. If you want a more specific recommendation you'll have to provide more info.
>>
>>1226876
No they will dislike you just like everyone at home does.
>>
I went to Japan last year for a month and absolutely loved it, but I'm too poor to be able to go again any time in the near future which got me pretty depressed.

Then just last week I found out that my uni has an exchange program with a prestigious university in Tokyo and I can study for up to a year there.

I'm going to find a way to get myself a job teaching English or someshit while I'm there, once I've spent a year in Japan I don't think I'll ever want to leave.
>>
>>1226876
>So hows the nightlife in Tokyo and other major cities? are bars accepting of westerners and is it a decent way to mix with natives if only one of my group speaks a tiny bit of Japanese

Seen most people post that so long as you aren't acting like an entitled or obnouxious tourist most all will be fine with you. The more Japanese you know and try to say the more people will generally be more open to you.
>>
Where should I carry my questionable hentai doujins when coming back to the US to lower the possibilities of it being checked? Carry-on or checked baggage? I know the state I'm going to has no problems with hentai but I'd rather not deal with a tough customs officer.
>>
>>1226972
The worst you would probably get is death stares and some really weird questions by customs.

Keep in mind there are shipping companies you could just send your goods through, sending via boat or similar might take a few weeks before ge it though.
>>
File: 20170113_173011.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20170113_173011.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
Common in Japan
>>
>>1226975
Yeah, shipping companies probably aren't worth it for such a thing. I just want to know which luggage is less likely to be thoroughly examined item by item. Maybe putting all the questionable doujins in between other magazines and books is enough, but still.
>>
>>1226978
Remove aquors.
>>
>>1226972
Questionable as in japanese cartoon porn questionable or questionable as in loli futas raping each other questionable?
>>
>>1226984
The latter.
>>
>>1226985
illegal depending on where you are
>>
>>1226978
Lol, are you suppose to take your picture will all of them or something?
>>
>>1226989
LA. According to a shitty chart it's legal, and I'll take a connection flight to Chile 15 hours after arriving to LAX
>>
>>1226979
>Yeah, shipping companies probably aren't worth it for such a thing.

Guess it depends how badly you want those doujins, small personal scanners that you could hook up to your laptop can be found and are pretty cheap.
>>
>>1226991
You may want to use something more than a shitty chart
>>
File: 1488860890350.jpg (24KB, 720x474px) Image search: [Google]
1488860890350.jpg
24KB, 720x474px
>>1226499
>>1226780

Thank you for the info :]!
>>
Visiting Tokyo for a week in about a month.
Travelling with my parents and brother, they have planned most of the trip already. Anything besides the 'typical tourist must-sees' that i can / have to go to on my own?
>>
>>1225291
The one with a huge smiley face was pretty good for its price
>>
File: 093.jpg (251KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
093.jpg
251KB, 1200x900px
Anyone know what kind of gourd these are? Saw them in a flower shop in Kamakura in autum and they're kind of neat-looking.
>>
>>1227051
Kabuki-cho in Shinjuku
>>
>>1227078
>Anyone know what kind of gourd these are? Saw them in a flower shop in Kamakura in autum and they're kind of neat-looking.
Thai eggplant. They taste just like japanese eggplant. Very quick and easy to cook. They're bitesize. I cut them in half and saute or use in my favorite eggplant kind of ways, like breaded and baked, sauced, or served naked from the oven with just sea salt.
>>
>>1227103
Theres plenty of fun stuff to do there but you don't find it by just wondering around
>>
>>1227078
>>1227108
>gourd
These are "Suzume uri" in Japanese.
Not eggplant.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diplocyclos_palmatus
>>
Heading to Japan in May for 26 days. I was originally planning to go with a 14 day rail pass but i'm wondering if i'm better off paying the extra $100 or so and just get a 21 day pass?
Staying in Osaka and Tokyo and travelling to places from there.
I worked out my bigger train trip costs to work out to be around 98,000 yen. Cost wise it seems better than the 14 day pass but i'm wondering if it's really better to travel with a long pass or not.
>>
>>1227199
Buy the fucking 21 day pass.

Not having to think about traveling expenses when you abruptly want to go somewhere else is worth the price.
>>
>>1224407
oh wow cool I love RE7
>>
>>1227199
what places? Also a more detailed itinerary would help.

If you only plan on doing Tokyo and the Kansai region, then a two week rail pass should be enough (possibly a 1 week as well).
>>
I'm planning to go with a friend in September.
We're planning to stay for about 2 weeks, maybe less.
Aside from what we want to visit and travelling with the JR, is it safe to say that 1000€ per person are enough for ryokans and food?
>>
>>1227244
Depends what ryokan you stay at. I'm spending the night at one ryokan that's 38k yen a night on Miyajima.
>>
>>1227244
>Aside from what we want to visit and travelling with the JR, is it safe to say that 1000€ per person are enough for ryokans and food?

If you actually plan to stay in Ryokans, no, they are really expensive. With hostels you could scrape by (around 25€/night in Tokyo, maybe somewhere between 15-20€ in less popular places for a bed in a dorm room) if you don't spend too much money on drinking or shopping or something
>>
>>1227253
>>1227259
I just thought Ryokans were cheaper, but I'll take anything with at least decent sleeping comfort.
I don't care to much about sleeping in hostels.
But is it stupid to go with less than 2k€ in total?
>>
>>1227264
for two weeks it's a bit on the low side but doable. Just don't spend too much money on booze, Hookers and shopping and you'll be fine
>>
>>1227264
I found some in Nikko that were 5k-7k yen/night, but those were very low end and actually charged a higher rate for half-board (low rate only included dinner). With that budget for two weeks, hostels are really your only option with maybe a one-night splurge at a ryokan.
>>
What's the climate like over May? Is it around 20 degrees Celsius (and therefore sweater weather for me) or edging closer towards a regular summer?
>>
To anyone that has been to the animate cafe, do you need a reservation, or could you just drop in?
>>
>>1226751

once you've been the first you'll never stop coming back, I've been 4 times and I'm still keen to return again
>>
>>1225075
I was in Japan for a month and almost always me and my friend purchased accomodations via Airbnb
It's cheap, never had any problems in any part of the country, most of the houses were really good.
Only problem, there are fewer in the north and they are all booked on festivals' days
>>
>>1227195
Thank you.
They look so nice - too bad they're poisonous.
>>
Please tell me how the hell I can have sex with Japanese women!
>>
>>1227199
Yeah you're probably right. Just me being a cheapass haha.
>>1227216
15th-25th in Osaka with trips to Hiroshima, Kobe, possibly Kyushu and a couple other places down south.
25th-6th Tokyo based, plan on trips up north to Sendai, Nikko maybe Gifu.
6-9th back in Osaka. Have a lot of places I want to visit but no rock solid itinerary.
>>
>>1227281
It can be pretty hot and humid. I was there last year in mid may and I seriously over packed for how warm it was. Tokyo was always a couple degrees cooler than Osaka but still pretty warm. Wore t-shirts and shorts pretty much every day.
>>
File: 1391311899374.jpg (92KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1391311899374.jpg
92KB, 640x480px
>>1227433
Insert benis in bagina
>>
>>1227433
Know some Japanese.
Use tinder
Don't look like a fat fuck
Be polite
Be prepared to spend some money
>>
>leave friday

I hope I packed everything I need, I'm going to a few different places so I needed a mix of warm and cool clothing.
>>
I want to go to the mountains and have a hiking/onsen/ryokan experience. im willing to spend money as long as the experience is top notch. I prefer somewhere around Tokyo or Osaka.

Any ideas? I thought about doing Yufuin or Kurokawa but it is apparently too touristy and thats something im not interested in
>>
Are there any coed nude onsen in or near Tokyo?

My GF and I want to do the typical group bath thing nude, but we don't really want to be apart.

I've found several Googling, but they all seem a ways from Tokyo. The only ones I've found near require swimsuits. Which, we'll take if we have to but we prefer nude.
>>
>>1227536
coed nude onsen are rarer compared to gender separated ones in general.

http://www.secret-japan.com/onsen/location/japan.php here is a map where you can search for onsen in different regions, though I would recomend just getting a private one together if you don't find anything
>>
>>1227538
are non-coed nude the standard?
>>
>>1227541
most onsen are nude yes
>>
>>1227542
l-lewd
>>
What the fuck, where to buy a bottle of yamazaki single malt whiskey (distiller's reserve)

Even sold out at the yamazaki distillery
>>
>>1227546
I think you misunderstand. Nude is the norm for onsens. Co-ed is NOT.
>>
>>1227564
I was joking anon
>>
>>1227562
try the yamazaki distillery
>>
What is a good place to stay for a month if I want to just go for nature trips everyday? I don't want to live in a tent or in Hokkaido. Any Airbnb or hostel recommendations?
>>
Any suggestions for ATM's I don't have to take out a minimum of 10,000 yen from with lower transaction fees? 7-11 is great in a pinch, but I don't want to take out the equivalent of nearly 100 dollars every time, something closer to 2,000 - 5,000 yen would be nice.
>>
>>1227579
jpbank
>>
Where would be a good place to get a used CD player? People keep giving me CDs and it's making me nostalgic.
>>
>>1227562
Hasegawa liquor at Tokyo Station. There's two stores, each has a different whiskey selection.
>>
Any recommendations on where to eat okonomiyaki in Hiroshima?
>>
>>1227638
Okonomimura. It's a big building with the 2nd, 3d, and 4th floors all being okonomiyaki stalls. Specifically I'd recommend one on the 3rd floor (I think) that had a bunch of frog statues everywhere.
>>
>>1227640
Thanks! I'll check it out
>>
What part of Tokyo has the most things to do/see?
Got my flights booked but haven't organised a hotel, I want a place that's walking distance to everything so I can just walk out the door and spend all day checking out bars, gardens, markets, nightlife, cool stuff etc then walk back to the hotel when I'm done
>>
File: 1463978658866.jpg (94KB, 812x806px) Image search: [Google]
1463978658866.jpg
94KB, 812x806px
>>1227667
>Biggest city in the world
>Walking distance to everything
>>
Do I need to have a hotel booked for the first night or can I just do air bnb the whole time? I'm sure this is a retarded question but I'm a virgin to international travel.
>>
So I'm in Tokyo and don't want to leave. What's my best bet for finding an English teaching job quick here? I have a TEFL but no experience besides my teaching in the class. Pls help, this is the coolest place ever I'm kicking myself for not doing a student program during high school/college
>>
>>1227693
You mean NYC?
>>
what do I need to know for health/travel insurance when visiting japan from the UK?
>>
I'm torn between working in Japan as a bartender or as an English teacher. I already have experience as a bartender but the pay is supposedly low in Japan. I may want to try English teacher of some sort but I fear it's over saturated and will cost me money over a degree which I don't have much of because I fucked up with something useless. Doesn't help I'm trying to move there by next year before the Olympics. Need some help here.
>>
>>1227883
If you can get the degree it will give you more options and job security. I recommend becoming an English teacher and bartending on the weekends.
>>
New bread >>1227971
Thread posts: 326
Thread images: 38

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.