[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Havana Cuba

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 4

File: cu-lgflag.gif (9KB, 500x251px) Image search: [Google]
cu-lgflag.gif
9KB, 500x251px
Hey /trv/, anyone have unique suggestions for a weekend trip to Havana? I've seen all the stuff on tripadvisor, and will happily hear your opinion on the major stuff. But I'm really hoping to get suggestions about some off-beat things to do and places to see.
>>
>>1216206
Most of the good "off the path" stuff is outside of Havana, but I can tell you that if you actually make an effort to avoid all the official tourism sites you are bound to stumble onto interesting stuff and have a pretty good time

If you stay at a casa particular (and you should, don't support the dictatorship if you can avoid it) your host will point you in the right direction

Some realtraveller(tm) stuff you could see:
>Lenin park
Some old dilapidated soviet amusement rides among some modernized ones and acres of beautiful forest, only real amusement park in havana
>expocuba
Kind of a "museum to the achievements of communism" last I visited was pretty much falling apart, but it's a sight to see
>Coppelia
Overpriced shitty tasting ice cream but every cuban child in my generation lived for a saturday morning trip there
>botanical garden
Beautiful, especially the japanese garden
>>
>>1216230
How are the beaches there?
>>
>>1216230
Thanks!! Exactly the sort of things I was hoping for.
>>
>>1216262
Beaches are great, if you're looking for something nice and secluded there are quite a few foreigner-only beaches in the Havana area. I personally recommend Tarara, not only is it nice and secluded (no Cubans allowed without a hefty bribe) but it is also a containment zone for the Chernobyl kids and before that it used to be a high-society resort village so there is a lot of urban exploration to be had

If you're looking for more of the authentic experience there are plenty of fully open beaches any local will be happy to point you to, and if you're interested picking up locals at the beach as a foreigner should be super easy

>>1216306
No prob bud, just remember to stay away from any government businesses except maybe the more expensive hotels, not just because all the money spent there goes directly to the Castros, but because I can 100% assure you you will be best taken care of and better fed by particulars

Also don't buy cigars except from your host, people will offer, just say no
>>
I've heard that the only people that really like Havana are the ones that are into the whores there. Truth?
>>
>>1216664
Prostitution in Cuba happens but it is illegal, they won't let them into hotels and if a cop even smells the slightest amount of pay for play he will lean on you hard for a big bribe, we're talking in the 100s

If you want to get laid in the country you are much better off actually trying to take girls out. Just the fact that as a foreigner you can get a girl into some of the no-Cuban zones will get you a foot in the door, not to mention some of them will try to get their hooks on you for a ticket out

Still, just being seen by a cop with a cuban girl can be dangerous for both of you, since they pretty much make the laws, and "fraternizing with tourists" is an actual crime there

So no, if you wanna go hooking you might wanna go somewhere else unless you like danger
>>
glad this thread is up, traveling to Havana in April and had a few things I wanted to ask.

1. how is the showering/water situation? Should I take dry shampoo and baby wipes?
2. I'm going in April and the weather seems to be hot and humid; will it randomly rain and will it just be as hot as here in California? I'm in the early stages of psoriasis and my body can't handle that kind of weather well.
3. what is the average cost of a meal and what can I expect? I know meat is taboo so I'll be taking protein powder and bars with me.
4. how badly can expect to be harassed by NSA/Customs when I return? I was planning on bringing in some cigars and rum with me when I return.
5. I read Cuba has a growing hip hop scene and I'd like to see some of that. Anywhere I can witness a concert, record store, or something of the like in Havana?
>>
>>1217149
>>>/b/ is this way.
don't come back.
>>
>>1217240
its people like you ruining this board
>>
>>1217149
1. It's not that bad, water goes out very rarely since the 2000s (like once a year at most), and if you don't stay in a government run hotel then you don't have to worry at all since they usually have tanks

2. Expect heat and humidity to hover around 100f and 100% respectively, and AC is hard to come by. You might prefer going in the winter

3. Meat is not taboo, but beef will be hard to come by on account of the gov't hoarding it. If you eat at non-gov't places the food will be significantly better and cheaper (but again, probably very little beef) chicken and pork abound though
Average cost of a meal will depend on what you expect to eat, but it should be around $10 for your basic fare I guess

4. I wouldn't know, but prepare for the worst. Also be careful who you get cigars from, you'll usually want to ask your host if you stay at a casa particular (or airb&b) they will help you out
If you choose to stay at a hotel then you're shit outa luck, expect to get scammed

5. I wouldn't know about that either, I was with the punk crowd, but if you ask around the locals will point you in the right direction

I guess the main takeaway here is: yes it will be hot and humid, more than in Cali, and to everything else as long as you avoid using government services and stick to street level you'll be fine
>>
>>1216724
>they won't let them into hotels and if a cop even smells the slightest amount of pay for play he will lean on you hard for a big bribe, we're talking in the 100s

Ok... as a Canadian in my 30s, I have been to Cuba dozens of time and always get some hookers delivered to my hotel (have been in numerous different hotels)

Never had any issue whatsoever...
>>
>>1217499
How does that work? Stay at a decent hotel and ask the concierge to deliver chicas to your room?
>>
>>1217499
I saw it happen several times while I worked scams around the Melia Cohiba, a foreigner would walk in with a hooker and she would be instantly flagged and kicked out by security

Ymmv I guess, and granted I havent been back in 10 years
>>
>>1217526
Well, when I go to Cuba I stay at beach resorts (inb4 some autist real travellers complains)
I just ask the lifeguard at the beach for girl(s). I give him 100$, my room number, and at 9pm hear a knock on my door. The girl(s) spend the whole night with me and leave in the morning.
I say girl(s) because sometimes I get 2 girls for that price
>>
Cuba is awesome. Take advantage of the locals and get a taxi tour they will know where to take you. Don't fuck with the dairy though. We did a private taxi tour and it was great. Wear a hat and check out beaches. I
>>
>>1216597
I'm planning to go there in September and even though it's a hurricane season and all, how warm is the water? Enough to bathe?
>>
>>1217492
thanks for the info, I spoke with my Cuban friend who"s arranging our stay, we'll be staying in a hotel in a collegiate area (not sure if we're staying in Havana or Matanzas).

just one more thing that I didn't really understand, hopefully you can answer:
will I be utilizing pesos or CUC more? My friend told us to withdraw money prior to entering the country and exchange bills, but I don't think I completely understood the difference in Cuban currency. I'm assuming pesos are for small, convenience store use and bus transportation, while CUC will be for larger stores or restaurants, possibly government transactions?
>>
>>1216597
>goes directly to the Castros

He doesn't want to support the revolution, HASTA LA VICTORIA SIEMPRE
>>
>>1218186
Pesos are what the locals use as a tourist you'll only be using CUC's.
>>
>>1217868
September is the best month to visit Cuba, as the prices are extremely low and the weather is literally perfect (it's too hot during summer and too cold in winter).

There are of course risks or hurricanes, so you should book last minute (you will also get the best price last minute)
>>
>>1218572
Thanks! Are you sure about last minute booking though? I was thinking sooner the better, but I'm not really up to date with air booking into "risk" zones.
>>
>>1218933
Are you booking a flight only or a package/beach resort ?
I guess it also depends where you're flying from. As a canadian, there are planes leaving for Cuba almost on a daily basis, so we can be flexible and wait last minute. Might be different if you're flying from Russia or something.

Anyway to give you an idea, I always book last minute for an all-inclusive in Varadero, and have never paid more than 600$ tax-in (that is flight, hotel, food, alcohol)
>>
>>1218949
Resort in Varadero
3 nights $1000 USD All inclusive
That's hotel only
Booked weeks out
Please tell how you get this magical deal
>>
>>1218949
For reference
Tried booking now and it's double
>>
File: vara.jpg (181KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
vara.jpg
181KB, 1280x800px
>>1218980
>3 nights $1000 USD All inclusive

ouch wtf. flying from Montreal I get picrelated for 7 days. And that 845$ package is gonna sell for 450 to 600$ if you wait until late august or early sept to buy it
>>
>>1218186
I heard from a neighbir who arrived recently that USD is kosher again, so you might not need to change them into CUC, which is as good as monopoly money in any other country, even to exchange

>>1218258
Eat shit you communist chiva
>>
File: castbro.jpg (48KB, 306x423px) Image search: [Google]
castbro.jpg
48KB, 306x423px
Hey all, been thinking about going to Cuba this summer but had some questions:

1. Is it worth at going? Sounds stupid but the lady friend I plan on going with has a friend in Costa Rica who's claiming that travel to Cuba isn't worth more than the novelty of traveling to Cuba and that there's very little to do for tourists outside of beaches. Is that true?

2. What's the process of going there as an American? I only recently learned that it was easier now than in the past but I'm not sure of the "proper" (meaning technically legal but not overly restricted itinerary) means of traveling there? I'm getting different info from different sites and just wanted the opinion of American anons who've been there

3. What's the currency situation like? I'm hearing USD is fine from some but not allowed form others and I'm hearing I should bring Mexican pesos to convert into CUP while others are saying CUC is fine. What gives?
>>
>>1219002
Cuba is probably the best value in the world for all-inclusive beach resorts.
The majority of travellers spend a week in Varadero, and proceed to go to Havana for a day or 2.

Sure, you can travel the whole country with a backpack, but the bottomline is there are more interesting countries to do that.
>>
>>1219013

that sounds great, I love beaches and all, but is that all there is to it? are the cities worth anything?
>>
>>1218949
I'm the one you were replying too and it is a bit odd. Last time I checked was around two weeks ago and the best offer I had was 450€ return flight from Venice, today it's 370€. Strange.

I intend on staying with hosts rather than hotels, should I arrange that before I head over there?
>>
>>1219030
That depends entirely on you man, I find Havana to be especially beautiful, and there are plenty of non-beach places to see, like Viñales, Hanabanilla, Jaruco etc.

Mind you, I am biased because I am cuban

As for the other 2 questions I don't rightly know, because I have to go to a different process and I have not been back since 06
>>
>>1219079
I would if I were you, try airb&b
>>
>>1219002
if you're interested in seeing the society yes
if you just want a tropical vacation no
she's right that with the economic restrictions there isn't as much to do as other destinations, but it's changing quickly

you have to say you're going there for a person to person exchange, not tourism, then you just buy a visa for $50

bring lots of usd, than convert some to cuc, you're not going to be dealing with cup
>>
>>1219154
>she's right that with the economic restrictions there isn't as much to do as other destinations, but it's changing quickly

what is there to do in the cities? I generally enjoy just taking in other cultures and cities but my lady friend likes more involved but non-touristy entertainment
>>
>>1219129
Airbnb works in Cuba
>>
Hey all, OP here, back from Cuba.

I stayed 3 days in Havana, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Cuba is fucking wildly different than America, in terms of interesting/unique, it's hard to beat. Cuban people are cool, lots will just come up to chat with you randomly (We spoke broken spanglish). Most have some hustle (they want to sell you cigars, girls, etc), but only a few were aggressive about that.

I stayed in a casa particular, which are like state sanctioned airbnbs. I found some dude's cuba tourist website, emailed him and he arranged it. cost me and my friend $30/night to share a room with two beds. Met some kids staying in a hostel for $7/night.

Food is pretty underwhelming. Different, and interesting to see how a very poor country eats. But taste wise, not the highlight.

I tried to go to expocuba and lenin park to see some real weird shit, but right as I got there a tropical rainstorm blew in. Then it turned out expocuba was closed that day. We laughed and had the cabbie drive us back to Havana in the storm. This was in a 50's chevy, only one windshield wiper worked, it was crazy.

You can go chill at the nicer hotels, they all have gringo-accommodating bars/restaurants. A nice place to relax a bit. Night life was fun on weekends, but weeknights were pretty dead. We asked around about a place to hear live music on a monday night, got reccomended a place, it turned out to be a music video club where gringos mix with local girls that were probably prostitutes. The women were very hot but that's not my style. We strolled back a few miles to our casa at 2am, no problems, Cuba felt very safe.
>>
>>1218980
>3 nights
>1000
>USD

what the fuck hombre you got taken for a ride
>>
>>1219954
Glad you had a good time guy, too bad about the food and the storm, but we don't really eat a lot of what they have here in gringolandia (because we're poor and hate spicy shit) and the weather obeys nobody
>>
File: DR.png (661KB, 1100x475px) Image search: [Google]
DR.png
661KB, 1100x475px
>>1219002

I wonder the same thing. Why not just go to DR where you dont have to worry about all this bullshit
>>
Going to Havana in a few weeks. Where are the best spot to meet regular girls and hookers. What's the going rate for hookers? Suggestions on clubs?
>>
>>1216206
I have a friend who just went there and he says it's way over marketed.

He said everything was really poor, and that not even the food was exciting because everywhere you go they used the same rationed ingredients of weird meat and cheese.

If you're interested in visiting a Communist country then it would be worth it but I wouldn't go expecting anything special besides that.
>>
>>1224597
Also you'd be paying much more than for any other Latin American country because you basically have to pay a boarder bribe to let you in.
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.