[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

New York

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 313
Thread images: 25

File: image.jpg (200KB, 800x376px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
200KB, 800x376px
Is there a more overrated city?
>>
>>1195480
Los Angeles
>>
But it isn't overrated
>>
>>1195487
Yes it is
>>
>>1195506
No its not
>>
>>1195509
>RealTravelerâ„¢ who only uses /trv/ as a frame of reference
>somebody who's been actively avoiding travel books and magazines all his life
>a New Yorker

which one are you
>>
>>1195487
This. It's generally regarded as a once or twice in a lifetime, bucket list experience, for good reason.
>>
>>1195480
London
Paris
Beijing
>>
>>1195480
New York is pretty cool. London and Paris are far more overrated
>>
>>1195510
If you've been to New York and think it's overrated, you either have extreme autism or are terrible at doing research.
>>
I've read it has one of the most favorable single male/female ratios anywhere in the US. So, great for single guys living there, opposite of Seattle/SF. Truth?
>>
>>1195631
Are you serious? I don't know about demographics but NYC women are infamous for being flaky divas because male attention is in constant supply.

You better be fit if you want to pull.

Conversely, I've never had trouble getting laid in Seattle or San Fran, then again I'm a white guy with blue eyes and abs/MMA-bod with yellow fever, so I'm kind of in my element there.
>>
>>1195713
You're an idiot, there are tons of normal chicks in NYC and you don't have to be fit to "pull"
>>
>>1195713

you are a clueless dumbazz. men have their pick of any women in nyc. its a paradise for picking up the hottest chicks because so many fags around.
>>
File: ossjfbebegsusbeg3bbeso.png (390KB, 480x563px) Image search: [Google]
ossjfbebegsusbeg3bbeso.png
390KB, 480x563px
>>1195713
Lot of delicious chocolates of all varity in NYC. SF does have better food though IMHO
>>
>>1195480
Lived here for 23 yrs. Overrated is an understatement. Saving up to leave as I type.
>>
I live in Connecticut, so I go to the city rather often. I get how it would be cool for a foreigner to visit, also can see how people really hype the place up.

However the food in New York is genuinely amazing. The options of just high quality food at all price levels is one of my favorite parts of going there.
>>
>>1195629
I don't think you know what overrated means
>>
>>1195481
This.
>>
>>1195765
grass is always greener dumbass
moving isn't going to make you happy
>>
>>1195930
I left my shit Texas town for denver and never looked back
>>
>>1195930
I'm doing it because of cost of living. I can't buy a home, rent is insane, and taxes also eat up my income. I could care less were I go, as long as the cost of living is decent and there is little to no crime. I will agree that there is a bunch of convenience in NYC, but I'd be in willing to sacrifice it for a cost of living decrease.
>>
>>1195930
It depends on how shitty the place where you currently live is. I moved from a shitty redneck town in SC fulL of old people and wal marts and ive never been happier. Some places are just objectivepy shit
>>
>>1196011
There is a big difference between living somewhere and visiting.
>>
>>1195480
Literally any city in California like >>1195481

>LA
Full of assholes, smog, and overpriced everything. There is nothing unique about it.
>SF
See above but with faggots
>San Diego
Just go to phoenix, you're not missing shit

Las Vegas would be my runner up but Cali takes the cake
>>
>>1196063
Some places are objectively better. More jobs, more social opportunities things to do besides meth. Its called quality of life obviously you cant tell someone who lives in Ethiopia that wants to move to america that "hurr the grass is always greener"
>>
And why are New Yorkers so jealous of LA and California in general? They literally can't keep our name out of their mouth, like get a hobby dude
>>
>>1196088
>from east coast
>move to phoenix because work
>OH BOY CALIFORNIA CAN'T WAIT TO SEE ALL THIS HYPE
>It's no different than AZ, maybe worse
>LA is a fucking shit stain
>except from the water they buy from AZ and NV there isn't green in SoCal
>think I had a bad time just once
>go back 3 times
>still shit

SoCal is shit but northern california should be it's own state, Cali should split into 2 states.

aftermath
>go back to east coast
>DUDE CALIFORNIA WEED! IN-N-OUT!
>no it's more like shit and expensive shit at that
>Nah dude everyone is nice in california you just had a bad exp
>ask when the last time they were there was
>"Didn't really go, but man everything I see about it is great"

Only thing I will give props to is how the women are easy
>>
>>1196088
They aren't. NYC residents, or anyone that grew up in the area, think that NYC is the center of the universe. They never shut up about it no matter where they live.
>>
>>1195930
no. just no. shame on you
>>
>>1195930
Shitty, crabs in bucket tier statement. kys
>>
>>1196136
>>1196130
t. people that wasted money moving just to realize that it won't solve your problems

stay salty and in denial
you know it's true
>>
>>1195966
*COULDN'T CARE LESS
fucking americans
>>
>>1195763
NYC is diverse as fuck, so many different kinds of hot women walking around.
>>
>>1195926
If someone gave an explanation as to why they think it's overrated, I would be open to listening. But it's obvious that most of the people saying it's overrated have never been there or planned the trip terribly.
>>
>>1196088
Los Angeles isn't a real city, it's a giant suburb
>>
>>1196161
Everything below the Grapevine and above San Diego is an enormous suburb desu
t. northern california
>>
>>1196177
It seems like San Francisco is the only place in California that's particularly urban
>>
>>1196178
Only because they didn't have enough space to make it any wider.
>>
>>1195481
>>1195928
>>1196073
>LA
>probably most universally despised city this side of Pyongyang
>overrated
>>
File: images (11).jpg (29KB, 432x341px) Image search: [Google]
images (11).jpg
29KB, 432x341px
Welcome to NYC!

>rat infested
>diseased piegons
>people are assholes
>smells like shit everywhere
>natives believe they are God's gift to the world and above all others
>food and stay are expensive as fuck
>subways smell like piss and you run the chance of being stabbed to death
>bums Bering everywhere
>annoying street performers

Shall I continue?

Literally the most overrated city in the world.

(Pic related, typical NYC subway shuthowever bathroom)
>>
File: 1481348649934.png (244KB, 374x363px) Image search: [Google]
1481348649934.png
244KB, 374x363px
Damn I'm moving to the Upper East Side in a few months.

Am I fucked?
>>
>>1195719
>not being >>>/fit/
>>
>>1196187
You've never been there
>>1196188
no, that's a pretty good place to live
>>
>>1196191
>You've never been there

I used to live there fucktard, obviously you never have. Everything I posted accurately describes that cestpool as fuck and if you've been there before you would know.

Fuck off trendy.
>>
>>1196192
I've lived in or near NYC my entire life.

I know you didn't live here for very long because subway stations don't even have bathrooms open to the public.
>>
>>1196192
not to mention, the subways don't smell like piss, food is not expensive if you don't go to upscale places, and people are no more assholish there than anywhere else. As for bums, well that's just a big city problem.
>>
>>1196138
I will try not to be condenscending. As an adult, you can choose wherever you want to live and however you want to live. If you think that the only reason people move is to 'get away from it all' is near-sighted and too limited. People move for economic reasons. People move to be near mountains and oceans. People move to get pozzed up in a sex dungeon. The permutation and combinations are almost limitless, anon. I know that might shock you. I am not sure why you're so adamant about this, especially on 4chan's /trv/ board. It's like your attacking the idea of travel and immigration.
>>
File: 1367208802214.jpg (211KB, 1200x837px) Image search: [Google]
1367208802214.jpg
211KB, 1200x837px
I don't see how London is overrated. Unless people in the USA and Japan think it still looks like this.
>>
>>1196194
>>1196195

Yep, thanks for confirming my comments on NYCesspool
>>
>>1196203
It's gonna look like Tatooine pretty soon with that Muslim mayor of yours.
>>
File: 1482644840632.jpg (12KB, 203x240px) Image search: [Google]
1482644840632.jpg
12KB, 203x240px
NYC is fucking fantastic if you have money, I really cannot emphasize the money thing enough.
>>
There might be a more overrated city, but I haven't been to that one I guess.
I don't even get the food comments. Like a local took me to this 'amazing' sushi place... And the sushi was oily! All of it. Like what the hell is oil doing in sushi?
Burgers were also kind of meh.
Everything else was full of that fructuse taste that makes me want to throw up.
I ended up finding some salad places that saved my stomach.
>>
>>1196187
The food is cheaper in the city than it is in the 'burbs. Just dont go to a fine dining 5 star restaurant every night
>bathrooms in the subway
B8
>bums
You have NEVER EVER been to a west coast city if you think NYC has alot of bums
>>
>>1196138
>REEE NEVER IMPROVE
Yeah definitely not crabs in bucket
>>
>>1196227
>Bums

I understand that metropolitan areas are full of bulbs but it's the combination of all of the other things I mentioned that make it a complete overrated shithole...

Have you even been to Tokyo or Seoul noob? Those are metropolitan areas that would bury New York Shithole as far as cleanliness, service, and everything else really... I assume you New York pussies have been stuck on that island for too long to know there's a much better world out there than that shit tier island.
>>
File: tenterden2.jpg (86KB, 750x512px) Image search: [Google]
tenterden2.jpg
86KB, 750x512px
>>1196203
Where I live it still does look like that.
>>
>>1196232
Have you ever been to san fransico or LA? new york would bury them as far as cleanliness goes theres always gonna be a cleaner city
>>
>>1196241
Well, yeah. You're from Kent.
>>
>>1196247
>cleanliness
>service
>everything else

You defending NYC with this much vigor just continues to confirm one of my points about NYC:

LA is a shithole but they don't defend it like you are, they are more laid back, the people aren't as big of assholes as New Yorkers, they are almost hippies over there (minus the celebrities types), plus LA and San Fran have great weather unlike over hyped NYC, the most overrated city in the world.

Have fun with Jay Z as your mascot.
>>
>>1196205
He called you out for being a tourist and you resort to ad hominem. Good job making yourself look credible
>>
>>1196262
I retorted later on and stated that I used to live in that shit hole for years. Glad I was able to leave that draining crab bucket and see a different world.
>>
What a disgustin shithole.
>>
File: SpnO7QB.png (30KB, 657x527px) Image search: [Google]
SpnO7QB.png
30KB, 657x527px
>>1196252
>>
>>1196225
You sound like a pretentious asshole
>>
>>1196221
You don't need to be rich have fun in NYC
>>
>>1196232
>Japan

Hello Ken-Sama
>>
>>1196252
What the hell are you talking about? Your whole perception of NYC is shaped by stereotypes on the internet from people who've never been there.
>>
>>1196266
No you didn't. You've failed to mention a single think that would lead any of us familiar with New York to believe you lived there.
>>
File: Marin.jpg (1MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Marin.jpg
1MB, 1440x2560px
>>1196073
Lol shut the fuck up man, you don't know what the fuck your talking about. LA is shit but SF and San Diego are great. Really Phoenix is exactly like San Diego? Have you been to either?
>>
ITT: Triggered jew yorkers and californians
>>
>>1195480
Berlin exists
>>
>>1196308
Goddam New Yorkers always so uppity.

Best street foods are chimy churries and brown bean dessert in Washington Heights IMO although the last time I ate that I may have caught some venereal disease, that's the only saving grace of that death island. Now fuck off and enjoy that rat infested, over priced Shithole.

>NYC
The most overrated city in the world.
>>
>>1196154

canada is america u backwoods eskimo fucker
>>
>>1196441

WTF are you babbling about. so obvs u have never been there.
>>
>>1196225

You guess? Dafuq? Way to cover all your bases. Ya fruitcake. Sorry you are a poor and went to low rent joints to eat. Try harder.
>>
File: 1423695571210.png (14KB, 269x307px) Image search: [Google]
1423695571210.png
14KB, 269x307px
>>1196304
>You don't need to be rich have fun in NYC
What even is there to do in NYC, with or without being rich? I've lived near it my entire life and have never found a single good reason to go there.
>>
>>1195480
I'm from upstate NY. As a young adult bar hopping around Manhattan/parts of Brooklyn is A LOT of fun. Problem is that it's expensive as fuck. I think it would be a great place to live for maybe a year or two but after a while it would lose its luster.

It's not overrated though. It's a genuinely fun place if you afford it.
>>
>>1196479
If you're not a shutin, the nightlife is great
>>
>>1196493
Yes I love barhopping in Lower Manhattan and Williamsburg.

It's not really that expensive if you don't go to upscale places. Most place seem to have average prices.
>>
>>1196500
Is there anything more to nightlife than pissing away money on booze and food?
>>
>>1196502
Ehhhh I've been to the city a bunch since I graduated college and moved back home. Hanging out with my friends in Manhattan for a night out can easily cost over $100 when you factor in train tickets, subways, taking an uber to the bar, then drinks at the bar, food, etc.

Price is totally worth it though. Last time we went out in Manhattan went to, "The Stumble Inn," slept over some blondes apartment I just met that night. Few weeks later went out to a dive bar in Bed-Stuy and got with some half Puerto Rican/White qt3.14

I feel like the entire young adult crowd of NYC just has money to blow and live off of mommy and daddy.
>>
>>1196507
I drink a lot and I usually don't spend anywhere near 100. It helps if you pregame and try to take the subway on the way to the bar rather than a cab/uber. I would say between transportation, drinks, and drunk munchie food, I spend between 50 and 70 bucks on average.

It would be even less expensive if I didn't have to take the LIRR.

And yeah the chance of getting with girls, while uncommon, is thrilling to me. And when it happens it's awesome.

I don't have mommy and daddy money by any means, but I have enough spending money to go out at least once a week.
>>
>>1196504
It's just fun. Hard to explain why exactly but I have a great time when I go to the right places.
>>
>>1196509
Meh. I'm probably just a shmuck and spend way too much cause whenever I go down for a night out there it's usually kind of a big thing for me so I go all out.

A vast majority of the people I meet at these bars MUST live off of their parents money. It's crazy. We're talking about people living in apartments that cost $1250+/month and work at a Starbucks, or as a secretary, or clothing salesman. There's no way you can afford to live in the city on your own unless you're making AT LEAST $55k/year, maybe $40k/year if you have a couple of roommates.

>>1196511
You ever find huge disparity in your success on nights out? You know making all the ladies laugh and having a great time with your friends; then other nights just have total autism and it turns out kinda shitty and uneventful. Worst feeling when the latter happens.
>>
>>1196514
I do buy a lot of drinks, but I avoid places that are super expensive. If it was my birthday or something like that I could see myself spending more than 100 dollars, though.

Fuck yes with the disparity. Most nights I get little female attention or maybe just a friendly conversation, but some nights I score if only rarely so far.

But I still have fun even if I don't get any girls, it's nice drinking draft beers, talking to cool people, enjoying the vibe, etc.

But damn I can't wait to get with another chick, I really need to get back to the city so I can try at least.
>>
>>1196514
Oh and yes those type of people likely get help from their parents. They're likely paying even more than that in rent, although roommates are common.
>>
>>1196518
Yeah the vibe is nice. I'm a cheapass in my sober life and not a beer snob at all and even I don't mind paying $8 for a nice IPA.
Having fun with your boys is a guarantee whenever I head down but the real goal is fucking girls. Even when I don't end up hooking up with one the whole idea of flirting and coming up with new/fun ways for approaching a group of random girls is fun in the moment for me.

Fuck me man. I love nature and dislike about 98% of people I meet but this thread is making me want to finish grad school already and move to a city for a few years while I'm still younger than 30. Doesn't even have to be NYC. I'd even settle for fucking St. Paul at this point.
>>
>>1196522
I love drinking craft beers and cocktails, it makes the experience much better for me than drinking Budweisers.

Getting girls is my ultimate goal too when I go out, but I've accepted that it's not going to happen on most nights. I really gotta start going back to the city, I miss it. The people there seem to be much cooler on average than the ones I meet in Rockville Centre (town near me with an overall douchy nightlife scene, the only place my lame friend wants to go sadly).

I wouldn't mind setting down in any city that's walkable and has good nightlife.
>>
>>1196537
Haha isn't all of Long Island supposed to be REAL douchey? At least that's the stereotype. You know like: popped collars, blowing coke in bathroom stalls, being really loud and obnoxious on public transportation...frat boy culture basically.

But yeah man, I moved out of the Northeast to do my Master's because I wanted a change. I spent all my life here and really felt like I was missing out by not making a big move somewhere. But now being home and visiting the city really makes me want to do my PhD somewhere urban.

You going to the city for New Years? If so, please don't tell me you're going to Times Square...
>>
>>1196546
>Haha isn't all of Long Island supposed to be REAL douchey? At least that's the stereotype. You know like: popped collars, blowing coke in bathroom stalls, being really loud and obnoxious on public transportation...frat boy culture basically.
Having lived on Long Island my entire life, I can honestly say I've barely seen any of this.
>>
>>1196552
I go to uni in nyc and all the long Island kids are dbags
>>
>>1196558
I'll take your word for it.
>>
>>1196546
Well not necessarily, it depends on the town really. Most people where I live aren't douches but there is a douchebag circle.

You have a lot of options for urban places thankfully, as well as time to decide.

I am going to the city on New Years Day (I have off the following day from work), will probably barhop in the LES or Williamsburg.
>>1196558
I'm from Long Island and am certainly not a douche.
>>
People who hate NYC are the same retards who go to hipster bars in Brooklyn, pay 15 dollars for a shitty "home brewed beer" then get shocked that the subway isn't sparkling "clean".

Try getting out of the shithole boroughs and go to Manhattan. The Met, Central Park,the MOMA, there's like 7 million fucking things to do but the only things people ever bitch about are that the Subways are dirty and their 45 dollar steak wasn't worth 45 dollars
>>
>>1196607
But everything you mentioned can be done in other cities throughout the world without a bunch of annoying pricks surrounding you. Which is what makes NYC so overrated.
>>
>>1196247

I've lived in NYC half my life and SF is a lot cleaner.

I love NYC but it's fucking filthy.
>>
>>1196514
Lol i make barely 30k a year and i have my own apartment. Richfags cant into budgeting
>>
>>1196668
>SF is cleaner
AHAHAHAHHhahaahahAAHAHAHAAHAHA ive lived in both places SF is alot fucking dirtier you dont see half as many druggies walking around with needles in their arms in nyc or homeless encampments that take up entire blocks or shitting in streets like in SF
>>
I would love NYC, but the place is absolutely full of assholes. What is it with the attitude?
>>
>>1196607
Most Williamsburg bars are not expensive.

The common tourist mistake would be not venturing out of Midtown Manhattan at all.
>>
>>1196636
NYC does not have a disproportionately high amount of annoying pricks. The majority of people I meet when I go out drinking are cool, friendly people.
>>
>>1196395
SD is pretty shit aside from a few pocket areas, besides no one wants to be closer to the mexico boarder
>>
>>1196766
Speak for yourself, tacos and Mexican booty sounds amazing
>>
>>1196766
The middle/upper class tijuana girls can be pretty damn hot and easy.
>>
>>1196764
They might seem like that to you, since you're living there and acclimatized to it. But NYC people come off as total assholes to the rest of us.
>>
I'm gonna be working for the NYC Dept of City Plannign next year. How do I find a rent controlled apt for $700?
>>
>>1195631
a lot of that is from high cost of living and women handle roommates better

>>1196203
people expect english people to be the rp types we see on tv, not underclass whites and immigrants

>>1196775
by giving a super 10k
>>
>>1196185
But normies be like, "Oh, L.A. How glamorous. Nice weather. Hot people. L.A. Lakers. Celebs!"
>>
>>1195480
I think it depends on what you define as overrated. I always thought of New York as a glamorous in very limited areas and terrible in most and got exactly what I expected. I really loved walking around the city including the worst neighborhoods. In which popular media do they claim New York is the best city ever? In everything I've watched they portray it as a big city with problems that have the most luxurious next to homeless dudes.

Los Angeles city is straight up overrated though. There is nothing to see in the city it's just a big city with zero character or history to it. But beaches and ocean are really nice.
>>
>>1196687
>i make barely 30k a year and i have my own apartment.
I have a hard time believing this. I make 68K in Minneapolis, am thrifty, and feel like I'm not saving enough.

NYC on 30k? Where do you live and what's your rent?
>>
File: 1472530625210.gif (2MB, 300x262px) Image search: [Google]
1472530625210.gif
2MB, 300x262px
>>1196775
>a rent controlled apt
I'm new and what is this?
>>
>>1196827
I pay 750 a month for basically a closet in an OK part of manhattan. I mostly bike so that saves money i would be spending on a subway pass
>>
>>1196835
Also dont fucking shop at whole foods. Getting fresh produce from chinatown saves tons of money
>>
>>1196835

How big is your room btw? Is is large enough to fit a bed into? Window? Just trying to figure out what you get for that kind of money.
>>
>>1195557
Beijing was way better than Shanghai. Shanghai was my least favorite Chinese city.
>>
>>1196835

you're full of shit, i was paying 2500 a month for a studio in midtown manhattan a few years back and it's probably 3k+ now
>>
>>1196774
I never get this, what does everyone else consider an asshole? I'm pretty sure anyone you consider an asshole is considered an asshole here too.
>>
>>1197132
No im completely honest, and the $750 includes utilities and wifi! :) i dont live in midtown though so that makes a HUGE difference
>>
>>1197132
Did you find it on StreetEasy© too?
>>
>>1197132
Because you live in fucking Midtown

Still, 750 sounds unbelievable unless it's subsidized housing. I think even a studio in upper Manhattan would be at least 1250 or so.
>>
>>1197142
It's a meme
>>
>>1197118
You cannot get anything for 750 in NYC.

If you increase your budget to 1200, you can get a 1 bedroom in The Bronx and be pretty close to Manhattan still.
>>
>>1197226
Fool, I had a $400 1BR in Bed Stuy last summer right next to the J. It all depends on the connections you have. Most good places are never listed, only passed on to friends of friends.
>>
>>1197230
No way. You'd be lucky to get this in Nebraska.

Why would the renter decide to collect $400 a month when so much more money could be made?
>>
>>1197250
Not samefag, but just cause $400 knowing someone won't wear down your place too much and will pay the bills is much better than $1000 not knowing who you give your place to.
>>
>>1197221
It helps that i lived in westchester and was able to visit a bunch of places before finding a good deal and it helps if you know some people
>>
>>1196111
In fairness, that's only because NYC is the center of the universe.
>>
I didn't want to make my own thread, but I'm going to arriving in NYC on New Years Eve, not planning on going to the ball or whatever, but I was planning on hitting up some bars. Any recommendations?
>>
>>1197230
That's not happening unless you know a property owner who is willing to do that for you as a favor. Even a studio in Brownsville is worth way more than that.

Anyone who can afford the market rate rents in NYC is most likely not a lowlife, so I'm sure a landlord would rather get their 1500 dollars than a friend's 500 dollars.
>>
>>1197864
How long are you staying? I'm not sure how bars are on New Years in NYC, but I do go to bars in NYC a lot and the neighborhoods I like are the East Village and Lower East Side in Manhattan and Williamsburg in Brooklyn. You can probably just walk around and see try out different places, that's what I do.
>>
>>1195480
Miami, Dubai, Paris.
>>
>>1196111
nyc here, most people around my age (early 20s) love the city but want to move somewhere warmer

to be honest there is no denying that it is better than most cities
>>
>>1197866

My friends place is in Queens, but was going to try to be in Manhattan or Bush/Williamsburg for NYE possibly?

Last time I was there I basically didn't leave Queens and just went to random ethnic bars/restaurants. I kind of wanted to experience some of the actual downtown more? I'm just kind of overwelmed by all the different choices desu.
>>
>>1197872
I live really close to NYC and that's how I feel. It really is a great city. I'm not an arrogant asshole though and I can appreciate other places, but objectively NYC has a lot of great qualities.

If one is a shut in or xenophobe alt-righter I can see them not liking it, though.
>>
>>1197873

Where are you from, and how long are you staying?

When I go barhopping in NYC, I generally walk around the East Village or Lower East Side. Particularly Avenue A (East Village) and Ludlow Street (LES).

I'm guessing the bars will be more crowded on New Years but you can probably find some more laid back places as well.
>>
>>1197876

Rural midwest, and probably about a weekish? Thanks for the street recommendations, looking them up right now! Open to any other suggestions also, my itinerary is completely open, not interested in any sightseeing. I just want calm slow-paced trip where I can just wander around the streets exploring.
>>
>>1197880
Wow so NYC must be quite a difference from waht you're used to. And no problem, I hope everything works out!

If you want to go out drinking on a weeknight (Sunday thru Wednesday night), you might like a place called Pianos in the Lower East Side.

It's retardedly crowded on Weekend nights so I wouldn't recommend going then, but on weeknights, it's lively but not overly crowded. Great for if you want to turn up on a weeknight.
>>
>>1196607
The subway is pure shit when you compare it to the CTA. sure you guys have a bigger system but that doesn't mean you can't clean it more than once a year
>>
>>1197871
Miami is overpriced and filled with gay retards and pricks
>>
>>1195480
What do you guys think of chicago? I live there and I love it. I've been to Canada, new york, Florida for Disney like 5 times, Mexico 3 times, Nebraska, South dekota Indian and Washington DC. All were pretty cool places (Florida is literally Disney everything else there is a shitshow). The public transit is fast and cleanest I've been on, biking isn't terrible, lots of places to shop, lots of colleges to pick up girls or for parties, traffic is decent, the surrounding suburbs are nice, there's a shit ton of neighborhoods all throughout the city that vary greatly from one another and things arent crazy over priced.
>Inb4 it's a war zone
That's like one neighborhood with nothing of interest in it.
>>
>>1198553
Indiana *
>>
>>1195557
>London
DELET
>>
>>1198542
Chicago's subway better than New York's?

What a load of shit
>>
>>1197871
Miami has some pretty amazing latinas
>>
>>1198553

I live three or four hours from Chicago.

Decent city but I've always preferred New York. Either way, I'm sick of living in the Rust Belt and would much rather move to a place without terrible winters and biting winds.
>>
Foreigner here, visited for the first time in October last year, and yes I was underwhelmed. Having grown up with images of nyc in so much media / movies I suppose it desensitized me to it, plus it was way cleaner than I expected and nowhere near as gritty or edgy given the heavy police presence, almost to the point of being sterile in some areas. The locals were generally cold & disinterested after the 2 seconds it took to ascertain I was a visitor, however everyone else I met, especially Americans from other cities, were terrific and I had a great time drinking & chatting with many. Besides that, it was crowded, polluted by hipster degenerates, very expensive & the air stunk of cigarette smoke fucking everywhere. That being said I will come back, there's some cool shit to see/do and great bars + food.
>>
>>1199134
well of course you didn't see the grit if you stayed in tourist areas the whole time. But what were you expecting? It's not the 90s anymore, there's not as much "edginess" left. But like you said, lots of great bars and restaurants. Plus cool cultural events as well, at least in the warmer months.

And of fucking course it's crowded, it's by far the most urban city in the US. But leave midtown Manhattan and it gets much less crowded.
>>
>>1195480
>Outside America
Paris, Amsterdam

>Inside America
Los Angeles

San Francisco was actually a good place until about ten years ago when the current cuck mayor decided it would be a great idea to let homeless people shit and piss all over the street without "harassment" from the police. Still arguably the best place in America to get sushi though, but I wouldn't recommend staying more than two day there.

>>1195951
I moved from Houston to Denver and as shit Houston is Denver manages to be worse in every single possible way. I'm saving up to move to Dallas, tired of this shitheap.
>>
>>1196825
>But beaches and ocean are really nice.

You must not have been to very many beaches if you think that.
>>
>>1199139

I walked a lot, the East Village & parts of Brooklyn were as grimy as it got, there were some street folk & dodgy nogs hanging around eyeing me off as a coyote might, but I didn't feel threatened even mildly, because the cops would roll by every couple of minutes, I found it amazing how many there are.

As for the streetscape, I find much of the US pretty crap, NYC is no exception. Queens and Jamaica were shit holes, not unlike a lot of New Jersey towns, just dilapidated semi industrial wastelands. Sure some streets in Manhattan are quite pretty but by & large, compared to other metropolises I found it aesthetically not so pleasant.

The culture is a highlight, there's just so much going on that you could spend a month there on holiday & still not see everything.
>>
>>1199157
Wait so you're disappointed that you didn't feel theatened?

Queens is a huge borough and varies a lot. The greater Jamaica's area is unimpressive but not really a shithole, just boring. Other parts of Queens are far more vibrant. Especially if you like food.

So really, it sounds like you did like it here but have some petty complaints.
>>
>>1199157
Also I'm surprised you think the East Village is grimy. It was once a upon a time, but not so much anymore.
>>
>>1199598
Next time you are in Jamaica:
Rufus King Mansion
art deco buildings on Jamaica Avenue
shopping(a little ghetto like but good bargains)
Roy WillkonsPark for summer concerts
>>
>>1198542
>Muh clean subways

Oh for fuck's sake. NYC has one of the largest subway systems in the world, it's incredibly efficient and unless you're riding solo through the Bronx at 2am it's very safe.

But everyone just shit upon how dirty it is. Yeah, the subways in places like Seoul or Tokyo are cheaper, but they also fucking suck to use for anything night life wise. Some stations in Seoul have the last train run at like 2200. Shit's absurd.

>>1199134
That's pretty much it though. Parts of NYC are dirty, smelly, there's homeless people everywhere, and Brooklyn has been completely overrun by "culturally enlightened" hipsters who think the pinnacles of humanity are craft brews, overpriced coffee, and graffiti.

But still, you'll come back. Because the food is fucking awesome, the museums and galleries are world class, and the views you get from places like Central Park, the SI Ferry, and Times Square are unrivaled.
>>
>>1200353
I totally fucking agree about the subway, I love the subway system. I don't give a fuck if it's dirty, it's not like I have to sleep in it.

And the fact that it's 24/7 is great.

And no Brooklyn has NOT been completely overrun by "hipsters". Most of Brooklyn is immigrant neighborhoods (Sunset Park, Kensington, Bensonhurst) or straight up ghetto (Brownsville, East New York, etc.).
>>
>>1200353
Actually, Tokyo and Seoul don't really work out to be cheaper. You pay based on desination. NYC is one fare and you can transfer to buses/other trains for free. You can get anywhere for pretty much $2.75. People love to shit on NYC's subway system, but it's one of the best in the world. Who cares if you see a rat running across the tracks or the seat you wanted to sit on is dirty? Ride the train and enjoy your easy travel
>>
>>1200815
It really is one of the best in the world, and definitely the best in the US
>>
>>1200830
This is true.
>>
>>1195480
London
>>
>>1196194
Stupid, 1 line has at least two stations with public bathrooms that I know of, on 125th and 168th. And yeah, they're a shitshow (often literally). I love New York but there's plenty bad about it and I'd never pretend I don't have blinders on about the place.
>>
>>1200353
>unless you're riding solo through the Bronx at 2am it's very safe.

Even if honestly. I've never ever had trouble on the subway and have been riding at that time in that place.
>>
>>1200815
6 MILLION RIDES A DAY BOYS!
>>
>>1196522
From Minneapolis here. St. Paul is great. Cheaper than MPLS and not far from it (accessible via train), with plenty of things to do in both cities.
>>
>>1196111
Give me an argument to why NYC isn't the center of the western world. I'll wait.
>>
>>1201920
I know SOME stations have bathrooms, but most don't.

And yes there are bad things about New York, but not really the meme shit he listed.
>>
>>1201921
Yeah I was about to say. The Bronx isn't even that dangerous anymore. In fact I would actually live there but even The Bronx is becoming unaffordable.
>>
>>1202258
Nah parts of bronx are still are still sketchy af especially if you arent black. And honestly its still pretty cheap unless youre trying to buy a house in riverdale
>>
File: 1481447699373.jpg (16KB, 268x246px) Image search: [Google]
1481447699373.jpg
16KB, 268x246px
>>1199157
>east village 2016/2017
>remotely grimy
???????
>>
>>1201993
Minneapplebro, here. What are your favorite haunts in St. P?
>>
>>1198553
>like one neighborhood
>>
>>1196766
SD is America's finest city, and you want to compare it to the shit hole known as Phoenix which lies in a bone dry, flat, and lifeless desert?
>>
>>1202314
Rents for 1BRs in The Bronx start at like $1300 now, you need a good job to afford that if you're single.

>>1202316
Right? It's not grimy at all other than the homeless people sleeping on the sidewalk.
>>
It's the center of lots of industries, the center of much of the US art and fashion world, there's every culture represented and there's always something to do.

But it's also one of the least livable cities in the US and it wears people down like crazy. Walk around the streets of NYC, look in the faces of the average people. You can see the grind on their face, you can see how stressed they are. Go to any other major US city and it's nowhere near as bad.
>>
>>1196825
>There is nothing to see in the city it's just a big city with zero character or history to it.But beaches and ocean are really nice

As a born and raised Angeleno I take great offense to that. Lemme guess you did the walk of fame/venice thing?
>>
>>1195480
Every place is overrated unless you live there.
>>
>>1203212
>Every place is overrated unless you live there.
I live on long island, and hate it with a passion. I think it's overrated.
>>
Most overrated cities on Earth.

London
Paris
NYC
Los Angeles
Las Vegas
Miami
Venice
Dubai
Berlin

Feel free to add to this list
>>
>>1202536
I don't know, those people I know that have been there (I'm from Belgium, so yeah) all said the same. Malls, concrete and a very definite desire to get the fuck out of the city.
>>
>>1203381
It isnt rated high in the first place tho
>>
>>1198553
I live in Chicago and enjoy it a lot. Been here for 8 years.

Been to NYC as well and of course I think it's an great, vibrant city. Chicago feels sleepy in comparison.
>>
>>1195480
Cities as a concept for a travel destination are overrated. Spend a day seeing he museums or what-not, then GTFO into the countryside, not the small towns, not the open country where they keep all the natural splendor and stuff.

Cities could be anywhere. The country you came to visit is out in the country...
>>
>>1203631
Delete the use of "not" there, not sure how that happened.
>>
>>1203631
I strongly disagree. Cities are the perfect place to experience local culture. Culinary traditions, entertainment, architecture, the infrastructure, history. And lots of small weird details that can't be found anywhere else. I would much rather look at some ancient manmade structures than a mountain or a river. And getting local street food from a random shady-looking place is always great. And it's not something you can do in a small town or the wilderness.
Cities are the best.
>>
>>1195480
London sucks ass
>>
>>1203381
What do you hate about it? Would you rather live in the middle of nowhere?

I live in Baldwin and love it (would rather live in NYC, though)
>>
>>1203636
Agreed. There's simply way more to do in cities.
>>
>>1203650
>What do you hate about it?
Traffic, prices, everything.

>Would you rather live in the middle of nowhere?
Oh god yes.
>>
>>1203636
>architecture
It's such a same that modern architecture is so crap. Fucking Frankfurt School.
>>
>>1203725
Are you socially retarded?
>>
>>1195480
Asia: Tokyo
Europe: Barcelona
Africa: Cape Town
North America: either New York for visiting or SF for living.
South America: Rio
Oceana: Auckland
>>
>>1203767
Barcelona is awesome
>>
>>1203740
>Are you socially retarded?
Probably? It seems like everyone on long island is an unambitious, boring, left-wing faggot.
>>
>>1203770
Go out to the white trash parts of Suffolk County and you'll be around plenty of Trump rednecks

I do think people on LI can be boring and cookie cutterish, but that's not always the case and we're right in the shadow of NYC where there are lots of cool people.
>>
>>1203767
Tokyo is pretty cool to see the culture.

I'd say Shanghai is the really overrated asian city. The only positive aspect of the whole city is some buildings that light up for a few hours at night and look cool from across the river. That's it.
>>
>>1203772
Is there anything in China you like?
>>
>>1203771
If by "cool people" you mean even bigger faggots? I'd rather in live in a cabin in upstate New York than eastern Suffolk. I plan on moving out of state entirely, because New York just fucking sucks. I'm strongly considering somewhere near Cheyenne Wyoming.

(In 4 years my vote for Trump will be worth multiple of yours thanks to the electoral college)
>>
>>1203773
Dim sum was pretty awesome.

I actually liked southwest china, and even Beijing was kinda cool, but the assholery of the people in Shanghai made me hate it.
>>
>>1203777
you are SUCH a faggot
>>
File: 1483678180441.jpg (599KB, 1536x1042px) Image search: [Google]
1483678180441.jpg
599KB, 1536x1042px
>>1203781
>you are SUCH a faggot
Your butt-hurt is palpable.
>>
>>1203783
You're so butthurt that you can't even exist without being miserable. You even want to move to the middle of Bumfuck, Wyoming to isolate yourself from society.
>>
>>1203783
>>1203785
Calm the fuck down, you're on /trv/ now.
>>
>>1203785
>You're so butthurt that you can't even exist without being miserable.
Who said I was miserable? I just can't stand all these faggots. I'm doing pretty fucking good. Moving will even raise my standard of living, since I wouldn't be paying nearly as much in taxes.
>>
File: image.png (221KB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
221KB, 512x384px
>>1195480
>nearly double as many people in NYC than in my entire country
>>
>>1203793
You also won't be making nearly as much money in the middle of nowhere, unless you're self employed.
>>
>>1203795
You think that's bad don't look-up Mumbai.

>>1203798
I'm self-employed, and get most of my money from royalties.
>>
File: image.jpg (70KB, 688x442px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
70KB, 688x442px
>>1203800
>mfw Mumbai
>>
>>1196691
that's only the tenderloin, really...I am from Westchester County, right above NYC, and SF is way cleaner than NYC.

Went to SF this past summer, but have been going to NYC my whole life.

I must say, the tenderloin in SF was probably the sketchiest neighborhood I've ever been in. it really did smell like piss. And i'll never forget seeing some dude sitting in the middle of the sidewalk, no shoes, legs extended, trying to light up his crack pipe. at around 10:30 AM...

never been to a place in NYC like that.
>>
>>1203805
I told you not to do it, but you didn't believe me!
WHY DIDN'T YOU BELIEVE ME?!
>>
>>1197226
You can get some nice low income housing in East New York or the Bronx. My aunt had a nice modern apartment in ENY with three bedrooms and two baths for $700 a month.
>>
>>1203811
You have to win a housing lottery for that. Market rate rents are never that low even in grimy areas like East New York.
>>
>>1203814
Well you can always move in with me then bby.
>>
>>1195480
Yes, it's called Miami.

Only pubescent boys like that humid shit hole.
>>
>>1203767
Auckland IS better than Sydney though.
>>
>>1196187
>rat infested
Mice and rats are everywhere get over it
>diseased piegons
The same could be said about pigeons elsewhare
>people are assholes
Maybe because you are an ass hole to them
>smells like shit everywhere
Stop visiting shitty tourist traps. The same could also be said about many country sides the reak of cow shit
Well we are get over it butt hurt transplant ; ^)
>food and stay are expensive as fuck
Make more money wagie
>subways smell like piss and you run the chance of being stabbed to death
The subways are safe af stop being a pussy
>bums Bering everywhere
The same could be said about everywhere
>annoying street performers
Not being cultured

Try harder loser
>>
>>1197871

The only think Miami has going for it is insanely hot women in skimpy clothing.

But unless you're in a brand new sports car or have 8 pack abs, then good luck getting laid.
>>
>>1203842
Miami girls aren't even hot. They're just old women who have become plastic to stave off aging, more machine than woman now......the young locals are fat, entitled little cunts. I feel stupid giving away this secret, but if you want attractive ladies your best bet is Denver.
>>
>>1200804
Believe it or not Sunset Park used to be an Irish and Norwegian neighborhood before the Ricans and chinks moved in. My mother was raised there.

>t. Bay Ridge
>>
File: CkPs6_sVAAED7mz.jpg (11KB, 267x189px) Image search: [Google]
CkPs6_sVAAED7mz.jpg
11KB, 267x189px
>>1203808
>im from westchester
Lol i was born there and now i live in NYC. Fuck you westchester fags are completely out of the loop with what goes on here visiting everynow and then doesnt count for shit. And i too visited SF for a few months it isnt just the tenderloin its the whole downtown and parks hell even the rich areas you will see bums with needles sticking out of their arms up and about
>>
Maybe it's because I'm from the east coast and have been to NYC and Boston a few times but I was really disappointed in San Antonio.
>>
>>1204031
The south is great for outdoorsy stuff but their cities are lower-than-shit tier sprawls
>>
>>1195713
>>1195631
I've been on a few dates with women in NYC, but it's never gone anywhere.

To be fair though, even though I'm in the city every weekend, I think it's a turnoff to a lot of women in NYC when they find out that I live in Philly.

There are a lot of women in NYC, so you always have a good chance of meeting someone, especially with things like Tinder being the norm now. The other side of that though, is that you also have a lot of competition, and you might have to go on a lot of dates before you find a girl who wants a second one.
>>
Upper East Side lad here, douchebag yuppies like these two chucklefucks >>1196507, >>1196509 make a bad reputation for the majority of hard working New Yorkers who live/moved here to make it in the big city.

It's dirty, bums are about, but you won't find a single place in the US with more potential opportunity. The good stuff is world class, the bad stuff is 'culture' to tourists and facts of life, the cheap stuff is findable if you know where to look.

I live in this nice ass neighborhood because I worked my ass off to get a place that's clean and not filled with pretentious muh (Queens currently) gentrifciation twats. If you're a tourist, do the world class shit quick and early, but stop in to some good local joints and meet the real people too.

Also
>San Fransico
>Even Once

Seattle used to be the last cool city on the West Coast, but you SF fags all moved up there and ruined it too, your filth dribbled down and ruined Portland into the SJWillumburg hellscape it is now. The nature of the west coast isn't worth dealing with the scum of the planet. At least in the East Coast you can do something with your life than swipe on Grindr.

>West Coast
>Even Once
>>
>>1196304
Unless you're at a show at Shea or the like, drinking beer, cocktails are 13$ including tip. This is ridiculously high.
>>
>>1204040
Explains why they're growing faster than any other cities in the US, huh?
>>
File: 1476915401508.gif (526KB, 364x489px) Image search: [Google]
1476915401508.gif
526KB, 364x489px
>>1196395
>marin
>>
>>1204169
Generally though, drinks are less than that
>>
>>1204083
I'm the second guy you quoted, how the fuck am I a yuppy?
>>
>>1203932
Well every neighborhood changes, that doesn't surprise me at all.
>>
>>1204172
>bragging about growing when your """""cities""""" are 100 miles in diameter
>being a trafficcuck
>being a suburbancuck that thinks hes a cityfag
>>
>>1204213
Do any cities in the South feel like actual cities? New Orleans and Miami I'm guessing
>>
>>1204214
New orleans is the only one but its fun as fuck. Cant vouch for Miami since ive never been there and it isnt really "southern" but ive heard its ok
>>
>>1196221
this.
i live in long island.
literally less than 1 hour in train/car (if you lucky with the traffic)
literally there is nothing to do.
its a waste of money.
only time i went to a pub with a friend we drank couple of whiskey doubles, no ice (3 or 4 each).
one salad for each one.
tab as 300
never again.
>>
>>1204223
you're doing it wrong
>>
File: 1469237443063.png (439KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
1469237443063.png
439KB, 640x360px
>>1204224
so how do you do it?
you go to a liquore store, get cheap antiseptic tier vodka. some orange juce.
then get hammered in some parking lot.
eat trashy food at a facking macdonalds because almost every restaurant closes at 10/11?
and if you stay late and walk in the wrong street, you get sabed/robbed or sucker-punched because "craka get out of my street/ neighborhood" go fuck yourselves.
only people who like NYC are ether niggers or Niggers wannabes.
go fuck yourself
>>
>>1204225
You're a fucking retard and are very out of the loop

What do you do for fun anyway, shoot up heroin in your Mastic Beach trailer?
>>
File: 1484041446757.jpg (216KB, 1276x1420px) Image search: [Google]
1484041446757.jpg
216KB, 1276x1420px
>>1204226
>You're a fucking retard and are very out of the loop
not an argument.

what do i do to have fun?
hang out at my buddies, smoke weed, shotgun some beers, then binge watch some tv shows. that is a regular weekend day for me.
then maybe have a date with one of the grills im seeing, cook something tasty for them (thanks to /ck/) after conquering her stomach with my culinary skills we cuddle and watch some netflix. maybe bang if not to tired.
in week days i get home from work, shotgun some beers and pass out in front of pc while watching ant random shit (ether a podcast, a movie, show.....)
so go fuck yourself and your surprisingly disgusting city, filled with niggers and rats.
thrash everywhere.
>ohh look we on brodway street
>ohhh look it smells like piss and shit, also bums sleeping everywhere.
>ohhh look a ticket for a play is 600$
xD
suck a dick nigger.
>>
>>1195480
are we talking visiting or living?
living is trash.
but to visit it has world class art musisuims and dance and music (I don't mean not Broadway), but you have to be into that. it's like a lot of big cities otherwise.
>>
>>1196203
if it doesn't look like that, what is the point?
>>1196188
yes, ues and yes,, unless you are wealthy
>>
>>1204223
>>1203808
Suburban """new yorkers""" are the worst
>>
>>1204225
>walk in the wrong neighborhood
Kys. This doesnt happen the only dangerous neighborhoods are on the far corners you would have to intentionally be going there
>>
>>1195480
>Is there a more overrated city?
No, we're not overrated.

We're very self aware of how much a shit hole the city can be but we make do even with dumb tourists like you hogging the sidewalks and delaying everyone because they can't learn to swipe a fucking card.
>>
File: feelseducated.gif (103KB, 727x682px) Image search: [Google]
feelseducated.gif
103KB, 727x682px
I would like to ask an American certain questions about Minesotta and Mineapolis.
>>
>>1204359
Minneapple bro, here.

Shoot.
>>
>>1204213
>>1204215
I actually live in New Orleans. And by growing, I didn't mean diameter. I meant population, GDP, college educated populace, etc. Things that your "real cities"â„¢ are bleeding profusely.
>>
>there's too many people and everything smells like piss: the city
>>
>>1204434
Places like atlanta or birmingham are more like giant suburbs than cities though
>>
>>1203808
>that's only the tenderloin, really

And the Mission, and the Haight, and Golden Gate Park...

I love SF but there's no getting around the fact that the city has some serious issues.
>>
>>1204439
So call them metros, if it suits you. The point remains.
>>
What is there to do in New York other than eat, drink and buy crap?
>>
>>1204227
you don't know what the fuck you're talking about. you obviously haven't spent much time in NYC, if you even did at all.

And wow, your trailer park life sounds so fun, I'm so jealous. But you left out the part about doing crystal meth and heroin.

>>1204283
I live in the suburbs (7 miles from the NYC border) and I'm not like that at all

>>1204284
Exactly. There are no truly bad neighborhoods in Lower Manhattan where all the bars are.

>>1204339
Do you even live in NYC? It sounds like you don't go anywhere but Midtown Manhattan.
>>
>>1204444
Then dont fucking compare a 100 cardboard subdivisions on top of eachother to historical cities.
>>
>>1204461
Eating and binge drinking are two of my favorite hobbies, but there are also museums, concerts, parks, various cultural events, etc. to see
>>
>>1204471
I'll need you to point out exactly where I made that comparison. Perhaps read up on the history of a few cardboard subdivisions like Nashville, Atlanta and Charleston while you're at it. There's plenty.
>>
>>1204542
You mean the cities with 3 blocks of "historic downtown" financial district surrounded by 100s of miles of cardboard sprawl. Such history
>>
>>1204581
You seem really defensive. I'm sorry if I've hurt your feelings.
>>
>>1204684
>U-U mad??
lol thats the best you can do
>>
>>1204703
I've already stated that cities in the south are experiencing more growth than cities up north, and that they do in fact have their own history. Your responses can best be summed up as nuh uhh!

Is that the best you can do? If this is a cultural thing, I'm sure people in the south have fucked as many Thai trannies as you have.
>>
>>1204710
Its because they are cheap as fuck to live in. Just like how ghettos are getting "gentrified"
>>
>>1204721
You're right. It costs less than $2000 to rent 300 sqft of property. Some of us enjoy backyards and kitchens that don't double as bathrooms. Any other perks to living down south you have to add?
>>
>>1204731
>bragging about shitty endless mcmansions
>obsessed with having a yard that you will never use and you dog will just use as a giant toilet
>>
>>1204735
>nuhhh uhhhh

You've done it. You've convinced me. Packing my bags as we speak. Tired of hearing all of these birds sing. I'd much rather hear the people above me and below me and to each side of me and all of my 6 roommates flush the toilet all night.
>>
>>1204731
That's not cheap at all
>>
>>1204710
There's nothing wrong with living in a Southern city, they have their perks.

But they do tend to be sprawl cities and not very city-like. Looking around Houston on Google Maps, it looks blatantly suburban to me and even rural in some parts.
>>
>>1197254
that's BS, anyone who can afford the 1500 plus dollar rent is not gonna fuck up their place
>>
>>1204743
>nuh uh
Nothing in my post suggests that. I think you may be trolling at this point but what the hell. Sorry giant suburbs are not "cities"
>6 roommates
>tfw dont have a single roomate
>>
>>1195480
I was born outside of NYC and lived there for 14 years, I used to think the city was the shit when I was a kid and my parents made a day of it, taking us to whatever nice shops we wanted or the AMNH or Bronx Zoo or a Mets game, but as I've gotten older I sort of realized there isn't much to do in NY, or anywhere else for that matter.
One thing it has going for it is that there's constantly some kind of free entry festivals happening, and those can be fun, but otherwise it's really just two boroughs of actual urban exploration where you get stuck doing the same shit: museums and """"sightseeing""""". If I'm wrong maybe /trv/ can point it out, but those are seriously my impressions of NYC as someone who has been at least 70 times
>>
>>1205043
Westchester anons and longislanders are usually very clueless. You have to actually live here
>>
>>1204805
Mcdonalds starts at 13 an hour dude. He could easy rent to some couple that drinks every night and fucks shit up. Why are you telling the man what is life is like
>>
>>1202118

Because the Western World is built on the feats of Europeans (namely the British), and London still exists; hence London is far closer to the capital of the Western World than NYC.

Admittedly a very cool place, but in terms of overall influence (historically), London has New York City beat
>>
>>1205243
I live on Long Island and I'm not like that, I go to NYC all the time (every borough except Staten Island) and I work in Queens. I even went on a Tinder date with a chick in The Bronx.
>>
>>1205244
A couple that works at McDonald's is not going to live in a 1500 dollar apartment.
>>
>>1195930
t. basshar al assad
>>
>>1202403
The upside to this is that nobody from Chicago is a limp-wristed pussy. It's hard to describe but people from Chicago tend to be a little more self-reliant than other Americans and they form tight friendships because they know that goons are lurking and everybody needs back up.

I miss Chicago ...
>>
>>1203410
>Most great cities on Earth.
Fixed that for you, you cynical fuck
>>
>>1204083
lmao you sound like a douchebag. what industry do you work in my. big guy?
>>
>>1205703
He works in the industry of being a huge faggot
>>
Question. I am going to school for a 2 year degree in surveying and civil engineering. I live in NC at the moment. How likely is it that I can get a job in one of these fields in NYC, and would it be enough to support myself?

I have never even truly visited the city but I plan on taking a look a couple times before I would move. I also play drums, so how good is the music scene there? I don't really know what else to ask because I have no context about the city or city living in general.
>>
>>1197122
Wat...Shanghai was infinitely better than Beijing T. Smog, TRAFFIC, the old city in Shanghai, the tea houses are better in Beijing but the bars are better in Shanghai
>>
Paris, it's absolute shit. Ironically I have been there alot for various reasons.
>>
>>1195480
new york is amazing if you have money. and there is cool shit like central park, broadway, and shit. The taxi mobs. the big apple. No need for a car, you can walk every where. Pizza. fuckin flying rat pigeons. overworked police. crackheads who are good at playing instruments. piss smell subway but it's not as bad as philly. and where else can you go where they have tiny americanized versions of all the other world powers inside the city where they speak the native language. very diverse city.
dank cities in usa:
>LA
>NYC
>Miami
>Nashville
>New Orleans
>not gay ass san fran
>vegas
>detroit
>not dirty ass philly
>atlanta if it wasnt so niggery
>>
>>1203767
Cape Town isn't overrated you fuck
>>
>>1206402
I'm a New Yorker and I love Philly

And what's wrong with San Francisco? Is it too overrun by rich nerds now?
>>
going to NYC for four days with my girl. We will be staying with a friend in Astoria. Essential places to eat/things to do? I've only been to NYC once in college and slept in a subway station staircase with some homeless bums from occupy Wall Street. Pizza was good thob
>>
From what I gather, life in NYC basically revolves around working yourself halfway to death to afford the rent and "get ahead in your career" and then getting drunk most nights. And basically nothing else.

Why exactly is living in NYC such a dream? Having good restaurants and expensive plays/museums around doesn't make up for such a shitty lifestyle.
>>
>>1207812
Pretty much. I have a friend working at a "great career", but is basically always working to stay on top of it. The rent in this area, where 3 other friends live coincidently, is $1700 for a 1bd. Not awful places, but you always feel like you're living in a glorified dorm/college apartment. No one ever cooks, partially because of time, partially because "my nyc food",and also because it's a huge pain in the ass to get groceries via train and bodegas don't have half of what you need. The MTA is hiking prices, and it's already expensive when you need to run out and get something last minute.

Plus the usual: Everything is ugly, smells, people are awful and dress like shit. They can't wait to complain about rent culture in NYC.
>>
>>1207812
That's not true, most people work a normal amount of hours.
>>
>>1207822
Ugly? NYC has beautiful architecture. And how do people dress like shit?
>>
>>1195480
nope, born raised and never left it. Can confirm.
>>
>>1207859
>>1207822
nyc boy here, some of the most amazing building ever built are here so idk what you mean. and hipsters do dress fucking odd but business boys keep it classy
>>
NYC smells like garbage.....everywhere
SF smells like piss.....everywhere

If you visit SF take a group of buddies and roll through the Tenderloin in broad daylight. Do not go by yourself. Do not go at night. It is a sight to behold.
>>
>>1207859
>NYC has beautiful architecture
Have you seen beautiful architecture before, or have you only ever seen NYC?
>>
>>1207871
NYC easily has the best architecture in the country, both commercial and residential.
>>
>>1197250
lol, I lived in a place for 200$ a month in NE. Literally found it on my first day there, didn't know anyone. Town was in the middle of nowhere tho.
>>
>>1207822
1700 for a 1bd? I'm guessing you're not in Manhattan?

I'm looking at NYC seriously but I'm looking at ~3000 for a 1bd in Manhattan for anything remotely decent. Seems like it's a huge negative for dating if I live outside of manhattan.
>>
>>1205700
>nobody from Chicago is a limp-wristed pussy
>can't own handguns

Yeah the whole city is a limp-wristed pussy.
>>
>>1208375
>your whole masculinity is from an object
>calls others pussy
Im pretty pro 2nd amendment but come the fuck on
>>
>>1208148
Youre a fucking retard. i would explain why but i dont want morons taking the good deals. But yeah, keep looking at apartments in times square and wondering why they are expensive
>>
>>1196073
SF is great. Not to live in, but to visit yes.
>>
>>1208415
This.
>>
>>1205499
The only "features" that London have over NYC is an ugly sprawl, a pig-disgusting skyline, even higher rent, ugly women, and more muslims. The UK isn't relevant anymore Nigel, get over it.
>>
>>1208375
more guns in chicago than your city pussy
>>
>>1195480
Paris
>>
>>1197226
I pay $750 each month. I have three roommates, we share a townhouse in the Bronx. It's not so bad.
>>
File: 2BMEhoT.jpg (48KB, 502x384px) Image search: [Google]
2BMEhoT.jpg
48KB, 502x384px
>Los Angeles is overrated meme
How? I was born and raised here and every time I travel and people ask where I'm from, they grimace when I tell them. I literally have only met one person not from Los Angeles who likes Los Angeles. I have to defend my city constantly. Where did this meme come from? Is it more buttblasted Arizona/Nevada fags complaining?
>>
>>1210857
You have 3 roommates and you still have to live in The Bronx, doesn't seem worth it.
>>
>>1210857
Fordham?
>>
File: 1479790161246.jpg (97KB, 870x635px) Image search: [Google]
1479790161246.jpg
97KB, 870x635px
>>1196395
>>1204173
>marin

S-stay away
>>
Being from Seattle I'll say it's quite overrated and slowly keeps swallowing itself up its own ass more and more with every passing year. The landscape is truly impressive however. The traffic is godawful due to a natural bottleneck. People are overall pretty chill but there are so many retards living on their parents dime and bitching about all things that don't affect their over privledged ass. Never been to New York so I can't say. I heard both bad and good like any other place. LA is a cesspool been there many times. You gotta run up several 100k in debt or be well off just to exist and fit in there.
>>
>>1204735
>>120246
San Diego was alright stayed down there for a week I'm December. Gas Lamp is cool along with a few other areas. The downtown is an eclectic mix of old and new I dig it. Proximity to Mexico is pretty sweet. Once you leave the core however it just is another sprawl of SoCal bullshit. Still much better than LA.
>>
>>1195480
but if you can make it there in NY you can make it ANYWHERE
>>
>>1195557
What's wrong with Landan babeee?
>>
>>1196821
nobody says that.
Thread posts: 313
Thread images: 25

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.