[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

TEFL

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 268
Thread images: 22

File: index.jpg (15KB, 257x196px) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
15KB, 257x196px
Is TEFL pretty much god's gift to new college graduates that want to graduate?

Get to go see a new country, work a piss easy job, save some money, backpack around for a year, and then rinse and repeat?

I mean, I'm seriously considering it.
>>
>>1187205
that want to travel***
>>
My brother has been doing it for years in Thailand. I'm about to ship out myself in a month or two. It sounds absolutely amazing for someone who squandered their potential and who doesn't have many opportunities here.
>>
my local university offers TEFL as a graduate certificate. I don't get it. I don't have a bacc. degree, and its the only university within reasonable distance which offers those courses, so how bad are online classes? do you really learn as much being behind a computer screen as in front of people? or do you have to have skype/ webcam, microphone or something...
>>
Is this really as easy as it sounds?
There has to be a catch somewhere.
>>
>>1187637
You get too old to be considered for a job or eventually make the mistake of getting married and have to start over from scratch somewhere back home and struggle to make a life for yourself and your family only to have your wife leave you for someone with their SHIT together and you end up a fruit seller in bangkok
>>
> amazing for someone who squandered their potential

>have to start over from scratch somewhere back home and struggle to make a life for yourself and your family

Looks like the old TEFL general died, good to start this thread with some realism.

OP, I'm looking into doing this as well but I think the general consensus is that it is far from god's gift. Depends on your goals in life I suppose.
>>
>>1187314
Most if not all online courses are rackets. I do not recommend them at all.

If you can afford it, the best bet is to do one of those 4 month placement courses with CELTA. They do it in lots of fun cities. It'll cost a bit of money, but it will allow you to get in to the spirit of what you're doing, break your duck with a few demo classes and they usually find everyone jobs. The CELTA courses are probably the most reputable ESL certificates.

>no degree
This makes things harder but not impossible. In China, for example, you technically need to be a graduate to get a work visa. But in China, they also technically have free speech so...

Basically everything in Asia is negotiable, far more so than it is in the West.

This is why a CELTA is the way to go. You get some experience, get A qualification, get over there and can start looking out for stuff, showing up to interviews in person and so on. A major concern of many prospective employers is "will you actually show up if we hire you from America?" for example - if you're already there this fear is mitigated.

It'll be harder for you to find your first paying gig with no degree. And your first gig will not have anyone say "wow that's an amazing first ESL job". But you can get it and get in, especially with the CELTA as you have proven your willingness to invest in the idea of you being an ESL teacher. Then once you have a bit of experience, you'll be able to navigate the system and find something better.

A lot of ESL teachers make most of their money doing private lessons anyway and obviously you don't need a degree for cash-in-hand English teaching. That's how the no-degree guys do it; have the lowest possible hours for the job that gets them their visa and then do 300RMB/hr private lessons.

You can live well, party and save money as an ESL teacher.
>>
>>1187637
It is easy.

The guy who replied to you first is one of those miserable fucks who hates ESL teachers for some reason; usually jealousy. People that miserable rarely have anything worthwhile to teach you.

There is a catch though and it's that you need to work to improve yourself while you're over there or you'll get in to the worst rut in the world. Learn the local language or move up to better jobs or at least work hard teaching private lessons and save a lot of money so that you can start a business and/or buy a house back home.

The miserable ESL guys are the ones who have a shitty job but through laziness, apathy and possibly alcoholism or drug use fail to improve their life. So they learn nothing, their salary is fairly stagnant and they are getting fatter, older, crazier and less employable all the time.

And finally, yes, it is hard to restart in the West after years of Asia. I have a lot of buddies who came back "because I'm fucking sick of China/Korea/whatever" and after a few months of unemployment in the West, end up back in Asia with their tails between their legs. The lesson there is: unless you're happy to stay out there long term, you need to have one eye on what your route back to civilisation will be. There are lots of ways to do it but I would strongly recommend getting hired by a company/school before telling everyone "fuck this place, I'm leaving for good".

Also, there is a good chance you'll be a teacher for life if you do it for a few years. I work at a US private school now. I'm happy with my job and life is good. In fact, experience of Asia can be a good thing given how many Chinese kids there are failing to assimilate in Western private schools these days but it's also true that I'm somewhat a teacher by default. I kept getting better jobs over there (ESL, shitty international school, good international school) and making more money and living my life and by the time I wanted to return, I was pretty much locked in as a teacher.
>>
anyone gotten TEFL certified with the PeaceCorps? is it worth it? I'm in a really shitty position right now, almost nothing in the bank, and I'd love to travel somewhere new and do something ostensibly beneficial to the world
>>
>>1187744
this. Celta is great. There is also some good Masters of TEFL programs that you can do via correspondence from Univ of Manchester. A friend of mine is in Korea teaching off of a Bach of English and CELTA while he wraps that up. From there he is hoping to get into teaching at a Univ somewhere. Those are the real gigs but are still difficult if you do not have tenure. I would personally aim for something with the British Council.
>>
>>1187744
this might be a stupid question, but would an associates (2-year) degree be good enough for most asian countries?
>>
>>1187773
Officially Taiwan is the only one with good salaries that accepts associates in Asia
>>1187744
>Basically everything in Asia is negotiable, far more so than it is in the West.
Chinese have a word for westerners roughly means-laws before family
they think it's weird we're so obsessed with rules and logic
>>
anyone currently doing tefl in thailand? ive been talking to thai girls on the internet asking them about how esl teachers do. from what i can tell there are legit jobs to make 3-4 times the average salary teaching children english part time. sounds too good to be true.
>>
>>1187773
Anon you replied to here.

Yes, this will definitely help you and it is a much, much better situation to be in than not having any degree.

Call it a degree and play dumb in the (unlikely) event of a prospective employer knowing the difference between your degree and a bacc.

Just put on your CV something like

UNIVERSITY OF (wherever) - (your subject) DEGREE

And leave it at that. Don't use the word "Assosciates"

They'll ask for a scan of your degree, probably. They do this for everyone. Send the scan and again, don't bring up the distinction.
>>
>>1187780
They are welcome to think what they want.

But our obsession with having rules and laws and shit is the reason why we have rich and successful countries that all of their brightest people move to at the first opportunity and they're a toxic, backward dictatorship with an insane wealth gap that is doubling and tripling down on a development model that has ran its course.
>>
>>1187750
Do you like being a teacher? Do you make enough money and have enough freedom to life the life you want?
>>
>>1187637

It's not easy anymore. They won't just pick up any Westerner off the plane and immediately hire him. Employers/schools are pretty picky now. The job itself, what you'll most likely get stuck in (teaching kids), is humiliating dancing monkey bullshit. Basically you're a glorified babysitter teaching little Asian kids a few English words here and there.

Various countries are cracking down on illegal teachers, too. In Thailand I hear it's almost impossible to teach without a degree anymore. They're starting to crack down heavily in China too. I guess Cambodia is the only option left because nobody wants to go there except for smelly hippies and people who fucked up bad in life. lol
>>
>>1187840
Are you saying it's not easy for people with a degree? Because it certainly is.
>>
So, if anyone that is still returning to this thread, you DO NOT need a degree in order to sign up for CELTA or TEFL? and if you pass their course you CAN get hired by a foreign company? I really wanna teach in Asia, and possibly live there for the rest of my life unless I absolutely hate it which i doubt I will, i love history and learning about other cultures and can adapt quickly.
>>
>>1187782
Look at ajarn.com
>>
>>1187750
very sound advice here. Learn the language and culture, keep on bettering yourself, or you'll end up like many of the over 50 yr old ESL lifers you run into around Asia.
>>
>>1187750
How easy is it to get a job in Asia in one of these multinational corporations if you live in Europe?
I work in London and hate every day of it, my work concerns property management and accounting.
>>
>>1187919
Its the same as every other country in the world when you want a job that uses your brain.

You need to be significantly better at the job than anyone they could find locally. For grunt work its the opposite.
>>
>>1187800
>>>/pol/
>>>/int/
>>
>>1187840
>The job itself, what you'll most likely get stuck in (teaching kids), is humiliating dancing monkey bullshit. Basically you're a glorified babysitter teaching little Asian kids a few English words here and there.

this is better than 90% of the jobs people who consider TEFL are probably doing, and most likely pays more. not everyone needs to be a prestigious chemical engineer or some shit, some of us are satisfied with a good salary, chance of saving money, and free time
>>
>>1187767
bump
>>
>>1187750
>Do you like being a teacher?
Yeah, it's fun. Marking tests and homework several hours every week is boring but pretty much every job has stuff like that where you earn your money. I'm good at it so I'm a popular member of the community here, I like that I don't get bossed around by people and never really have to take shit from anyone. I admit I'm lucky in that the school I work at is quite good so the kids aren't really any trouble. There are lots of people with """better""" jobs than me working 80 hour weeks, getting screamed at by millionaires and taking 2 weeks off per year. Fuck that.

>Do you make enough money and have enough freedom to life the life you want?
Yeah. I live in the Midwest so the cost of living is low. I'll buy a big house here soon. But that's not universal for my profession; I met a teacher from California who told me she has to wait tables to make ends meet out there. Again, fuck that.

>>1187919
Yes, you can definitely do this.
If you have some professional experience from the West, you'll find a lot of companies in Asia that will be interested in you.
Multinationals love to act like they can leave for Singapore at the drop of a hat unless they get big tax breaks, but the reality is that very few competent people with professional careers in the West want to leave friends, family and whatnot behind and move to the other side of the planet. Or they may have a partner who just says no.
(I remember reading about one of the big banks offering massive expat packages to their entire London office to try to make a point at the height of post-crisis banker-bashing and not a single one of them took up the offer.)

If you're genuinely fed up with London (and I get how you could be...) then go for it. Most of your competition will probably be Asians who studied in the West.
>>
>>1188025
Um, that first bit is a reply to >>1187802
>>
>>1187840
>people who fucked up bad in life
>lol

>...says the guy who is being rude and trying to hurt peoples feelings on an anonymous Laotian finger painting board

I don't know why people like you hang around these threads. You obviously have some mental issues and get so badly triggered by the mere existence of ESL guys that you try to upset them.

Whatever job or source of income you have, it obviously isn't doing much to make you a happy person. So maybe you really should just become what you know you want to be deep down: an ESL teacher.

Think about it

>easy job
>no responsibilities
>enough money to party and travel all the time
>easy to find another job so your company has no real leverage over you
>ultra low cost of living so you can do all of this and still save at the rate of mid-tier professional people living back home
>loads of free time to take courses, learn languages, write, work out, do job interviews or whatever you want to do
>bang lots of girls

You're wrong about everything, by the way. It is easy to get a job. The "crackdowns" are things that dictatorships say because they know the dummies in their countries will think they're real and there are plenty of ESL jobs that are more meaningful than getting a group of 50 undiagnosed autistic Chinese children to repeat the word "E-LE-PHANT" after you.
>>
>>1187744
>CELTA
am I retarded, or is there website ridiculously hard to navigate? I'm looking for simple information like how much it costs, where you go, what you need, etc. and its impossible to find an answer
>>
How easy is it to get a fake degree for one of these jobs?
>>
>>1188062
Give them a call maybe?

I dunno how much it costs. Never did it myself. I heard something like $1400 all included, I think, but that was a while back.

I only know a few ESL guys who did this but all of them considered it a good thing to have done.

>>1188076
I know people who have done stuff like this so it's definitely possible but I never did it myself and don't really know what to suggest for something like that.
>>
>>1188062
CELTA is an acrreditation. YOu have to find a CELTA acrredited course.

For Thailand I recommend attending a course in Thailand. It can help with job placement because you are already there when you graduate.

http://www.ajarn.com/tefl-tesol-training-courses
>>
Just curious; has anyone taught anywhere in Europe? I get that most western europeans already speak English so there isn't much demand. But what about eastern or southern europe? Czech? Hungary? Slovakia? Balkans? anywhere I could get an naturalized EU citizenship?
>>
>>1188109
I have heard of females working in Spain. That's it
>>
>>1188109
There's a lot of demand in Spain, particularly the south.
>>
>>1187698

Kinda what happened to me. I spent 8 years in Asia. Last 4 in Japan. It was nice but you start to realize there's no upward mobility so you NEED to switch careers at some point. I am getting a 2nd degree in computer science (honestly it's freaking easier than learning Japanese was), and engaged to a Japanese girl.
>>
>>1188119
Is it gonna take you 4 full years to get that 2nd degree?
>>
>>1188125

No, since I already have an unrelated degree it'll take me about 2 years total (I'm a year in), and the first few semesters were part time while I worked through the math prereqs.
>>
>>1188128
I see, what are you doing it through? Is it online? I have a degree i geology, and I'm considering doing this, but I was also trying to decide between this and going straight for the CS master's
>>
>>1188134

I started online, then moved back to the states to finish. I'm not sure about the master's, if you have been studying programming on your own for a few years maybe it's the better option though.
>>
Been in Korea 2 years. Saved over 20k legit. Not even being frugal either.

Best decision i made in my life. I came when i was 22 and I'm 24 now, no loans with money in my pocket. Careful with korean girls they're as fickle as japanese girls.

Planning on using that money to get a masters in teaching and teach at cushy international schools.

Anyone here done anything like that?
>>
I have two diplomas, but no degree. Would I be eligible to do a TEFL and would it be easy to get a job without a degree?
>>
>>1187314
Onlkine courses are a rip-ff, nor are they accepted by most Government schools or private schools. Some of the dodgy establishments will accept them, but we are talking the dregs.
Don't waste your money
>>
>>1188195
I'll add some more context to my question because I think it is quite broad and vague -

I do hold a Diploma in Photography and a Diploma in Graphic Design, as well as a Cert IV in Photography.

The teaching course I'm thinking of applying to is a Cert IV in TESOL (https://www.languages.unsw.edu.au/courses/teacher-training/tesol). It is a full-time, 4-5 week course held at the University of New South Wales.

I'm quite flexible in terms of my location preferences. South East Asia, Korea, or China would be ideal. I live in rural Australia, so I have quite a yearning towards country areas as well as cities.

So, what is the reality of my finding work overseas and what countries would be the easiest to find jobs without the need of a degree?
>>
>>1187799
Good advice. Most Thai school recruiters or agencies won't know the difference between any degree, associates or bachelors. They will know about Masters and PhDs, but if you have one of those, you won't be needing to teach in Thailand. And if you did, it might give you a few thousand baht a month extra, but not much.
Not only will they ask for a scan of the degree, they will also ask for full transcripts.
The best way to deal with Thais is to say the least possible - they are great at stereotypical thinking and making assumptions. Just lie. No-one ever checks here.
>>
>>1187852
It depends where you mean. I can only speak for Thailand where I have lived for 15 years and taught for 13 years.
Thailand is still a lot easier than China or SE Asian countries, but not as easy as it used to be. Andbear in mind that real salaries have dropped a lot. In 2007 I was on 40,000 baht a month in a large Gov't school. Now new hires are about 32,000 with a degree, less if no degree (yes, the less reputable schools will still hire you without one). They will also treat you like shit whatever your quals, you will turn up to find the school is shut due to a holiday no-one told you about, you WILL be treated like a white monkey, you WILL find that your money is fucked about with each month,. especially if you work for an agency, you WILL be expected to kow-tow to those Thais who believe they are more senior to you (and they all do, and they WILL hate you for earning a lot more money than you - and that is one of the biggest biggies. You will be sabotaged, undermined, gossiped about, plain lied about and you won't know fuck all unless you have been here a few years and learn the ropes.
You won;t make big money either, unless you do what I did and do corporate classes down town after school and also work at a language school at weekends. I could make anything from 70k to 100 k a month but it varies a lot, the hours are a killer and you still get fucked about every day. Bear in mind that say, 32,000 baht a month is only about $US900 or £720 a month at current exchange rates. Not much spare for travelling, boozing and whoring from that. It's not cheap upcountry any more either, unless you don;t mind one room with squat toilet and a cold shower or have no standards.
I did very well out of teaching because I worked my balls off and had special skills, but now I'm pleased I stopped.
>>
>>1187919
You won't get anything like that here in Thailand. The Thais are very restrictive about what work they allow foreigners to do. There's a list of prohibited occupations for foreigners somewhere on the net - Google for it. Thais are also pretty racist and xenophobic. If they take a dislike to you, you're out. Also, to do what you do you'd need to be fluent in Thais so no chance even if you were allowed a job.
>>
>>1188076
In Thailand, easy. Just walk down Khaosan Road in Bangkok ans there are stalls with what forgeries you can have. Degrees, driving licences, Press cards - take your pick. The problem is that many schools know about these and are wise to it. Many don't care, they just want a white face in a classroom and turn a blind eye. Other schools of colleges do care and some will check, but not all. It happened at a school I worked at 6 years ago. There were two obnoxious twats there, a Welshman and a Kiwi who the school wanted rid of. They did check their 'degrees' (which were fake and we others knew that) and made them pay back the money they had been paid extra for having a degree, then fired them immediately they had the money. One of them lived on-site at the school and was homeless and off the premises within the hour. If that happens and you have no financial buffer, you are fucked. AND both work permits were withdrawn and the Ministry of Labour and Immigration notified. If that happens, you have 24 hours to leave the country and get a new visa usually a tourist visa. Not a good idea to cross the Thais as they can be very vindictive.
>>
Im 23 now and will start studying at Uni next year, So should I first get my degree or should I just go for it and apply for TEFL or CELTA and try my luck with that?
>>
>>1188032

I merely talk from experience. I started out doing ESL at the kiddie training centers, which is where 99% of people end up. They're miserable sweat shops, and the Asian bosses force you to be a dancing foreign monkey, or they will fire you. From what I've read on ESL forums, it's like this in every single Asian country. From Japan/Korea all the way down to Thailand.

Now I've got a cushy teaching job, and make about $3000 a month. I only teach about 3-4 classes a week, but I'm forced to be in the office when I'm not teaching and work a full 40 hours a week. Still, it's the easiest job I've had. Not everyone will be able to get a job like this, or ever will, however.
>>
>>1188233
Are you the guy who made AMA thread but hasn't answered anyone's question?
>>
>>1188189

I think that's the way to go if you love teaching. I taught in an international school in China (and a Korean school in China), and yeah the salaries were great and the classes were small. Good luck!
>>
>>1188245

For China and Japan, as far as I know you need a 4 year degree. They were pretty strict about it where I applied, but I heard rumors that some people just photoshopped a degree. Actually for Japan they had me send my physical copy.
>>
I'm an ESL fag with a very good job in Japan feel free to AMA lads.
>>
>>1188234
I find this hard to believe, I know that there are expats in Thailand who work in corporation jobs, so they must have been hired in some way.
>>
How difficult it is for non native english speaker to find a job as english teacher in asia?
>>
>>1188209
>I do hold a Diploma in Photography and a Diploma in Graphic Design, as well as a Cert IV in Photography.
wtf is this weird shit, where are you from?

wtf were you thinking mate
>>
>>1188189
so do you get jobs like that in the big cities or more in the rural countryside? where is there more demand/ bigger salaries?
>>
>>1188109
You can get these jobs but they usually expect experience and relevant qualifications, the pay is often less than in Asia while the expectations and cost of living are usually significantly higher. So it's basically for people who love a certain country. For example if you studied French, love France or French chicks and want to live in France, it's an in. If you're just doing it because you want to have an easy year or two after university where you can carry on the party lifestyle, you're probably better off in Asia. Also, if money is a factor and you want to live reasonably well in West Europe or even one of the more modern and fun (and less scary) East European cities, you probably won't be able to save anything as an ESL teacher. At least not at first, anyway. If they decide they like you and want to keep you around for a while, that may be different.

>citizenship
Yeah, you can do that. As with the US, marrying a local girl is the easiest and cheapest way.

>>1188227
>transcripts
In my experience, this was never a thing in ESL teaching. A scan of a degree was enough. But then, I never worked in Thailand

>>1188402
If you have a degree it is not difficult at all. If you're white, it will help you. It's amusingly common that they'll ask you to say you're from the US or Canada or something. I knew a Portuguese guy who was officially from NYC at his job in China, even though any native English speaker would know immediately that that was BS.

>>1188379
Agreed. I have also met lots of expat corporate types who work in Thailand; some are former ESL teachers. Business owners, too (usually bars or other shit catering to tourists admittedly). That other anon sounds like he's making excuses...

>>1188260
>$3000 a month. I only teach about 3-4 classes a week
Given how wrong you seem to be about everything and how bitter you seem to be, I don't believe that you make $3000 a month doing 3-4 classes of ESL per week.
>>
>>1187782
I was just looking for esl jobs in Bangkok, I left for Hanoi because the pay here is better and the cost of living is cheaper. Idk about other cities in Thailand, but Hanoi is literally the best city in the world right now for ESL salary vs cost of living. You should consider Vietnam.
>>
>>1188427
>If you have a degree it is not difficult at all. If you're white, it will help you

Yeah there are Filipino and even some Indian English teachers. I have seen Africans in China.
>>
>>1188102
Followup from another anon: I just finished doing the CELTA course at International House Bangkok and I highly recommend it. If I had to take the CELTA again, I would most-definitely do it through International House (they have other locations all over the world too)

Be prepared though: the CELTA is tough. It's seriously difficult as hell. I sort of stumbled into it and I passed, but you hardly get any free time during the month-long course to explore whatever city you're in.
>>
>>1188439
Thanks for the FU. I just asked a question about resident courses in Thailand in another thread here.

>>1187896
>>
>>1188427
Do you think that could be a good career path? I love languages but where do I live (Italy) there are 0 job opportunities right now, so I was looking for alternatives and teaching abroad , especially in Japan and Korea seems something I would like to try and compatible with my degree (Foreign languages).
>>
>>1188402
If you are a non native English speaker you will find gainful, full time work next to impossible to find in Japan and Korea, but I don't know about Taiwan or China or elsewhere.

Korea actually explicitly states only passport holders from the US, UK, New Zealand, Straya Cunt, Ireland and South Africa--although that might just be for public schools.

The big employers in Japan do not require explicit passports but they do have a requirement of 12 years of school in primarily English.

>>1188454
It's generally not a "real" career or very gainful unless you have a state teaching cert and/or masters degree and get a job at a university or a legit international school.

My job in Japan is about as good as just a bachelor's degree job gets (it's not JET) but it's not something I could see myself doing for more than a year or two more.

As an Italian you will find full time work very hard to get teaching English. I wish you the best m8, but you have to realize there are tons of native speakers with bachelor's degrees willing to do this--why would they pick you?

You're not going to get hired overseas, so if you want to give it a shot, your best bet is probably to come over on a working holiday visa and see what happens.

I hope your English is impeccable and you can fake a north American or British accent.
>>
>>1188607
Woops also Canada for those required passports, obviously.
>>
>>1188438
Yes, of course. I didn't say it's not possible to get an ESL gig if you're non-white. There are loads of Filipino and African ESL teachers (and non-white Westerners). But being white is a definite advantage in some places and with some companies, particularly if you're not a native speaker.

All that being said, once you're in, even the companies who have a backward mindset about this would much prefer a black African guy who shows up on time and tries to actually teach the kids than a white dude who takes lots of sick days, complains all the time and acts like he's better than everyone.
>>
Anon who has made a lot of long posts here

>>1188607
>You're not going to get hired overseas
That is definitely too unequivocal.

I agree that it would be harder. But as long as you don't attach too many conditions like "adult students only and it has to be Tokyo" I'm sure you can find something. You may just have to start somewhere less famous.

Korea would probably be an easier place to start than Japan.

>>1188454
>Do you think that could be a good career path?
It definitely can be, if you're smart about it.

If you have no good prospects back home right now then ESL is DEFINITELY for you. I was in a rut back home after university myself and totally miserable. Within days of getting over to my first ESL gig, I was a much happier person who was meeting and making friends with people from all over the world.

If you're Italian, by the way, you have the chance to open a real niche for yourself. The vast majority of Asians who learn a European language learn English and there is a relatively tiny number of Asians who speak other European languages fluently. Obviously, it's harder for them to learn European languages just like it's harder for us to learn Asian languages, so once they've focused a lot of energy on just learning English reasonably well, relatively few branch out to other languages.

So, if you learn Korean and/or Japanese, there are plenty of good jobs out there who would need people that speak both languages and you'd be competing with a relatively tiny group of people. I imagine an Italian who speaks Korean would be a useful employee for Italian companies doing business in Korea so they don't have to rely entirely on locals. Or even Korean outfits trying to make money in Italy.

Give it a shot, bro. Get out to Asia on a CELTA course and look around. And even if your first ESL job doesn't look awesome, it was that way for most of us and once you've got a year of experience (or even just 6 months) you will have a lot more options.

Good luck.
>>
I've been wanting to teach English abroad to get some travelling experience under my belt before I become fully committed to teaching in the UK.

I was thinking about Korea first, but I read a shit ton of Hagwon horror stories about people being fired and stranded in Korea.
JET seems like a good option. I'm way more interested in Japanese art and culture (not anime), and I'm keen to learn about their practice of Zen and Shingon Buddhism.

The problem is - I'm going to have to wait out until October for JET, and I've heard that they don't even care if applicants have a TEFL certificate. I graduated back in July, and I just quit my bar job so that I'm free to move away from my hometown and to get prepared for 2017 application.

A few questions:

1) Is it worth waiting until October for JET or are there other programmes that let me apply earlier?
2) Is it still worth getting a TEFL?
3) Are there any jobs or volunteer work that will help me get the position?
4) Can I train to be an English teacher in the UK while I'm waiting for October, or will I be expected to stay in the UK?
5) Will mentioning that I'm a Buddhist in my application form hurt my chances of being accepted onto the JET programme?
>>
>>1188906
Lots of good advice for ya already in this thread, Britbro. But here's some more:

>1) Is it worth waiting until October for JET or are there other programmes that let me apply earlier?
October is ten months away. If you're looking to get in to ESL, get applying to other shit right now. You can literally be somewhere else teaching English within a month.

>2) Is it still worth getting a TEFL?
You don't need it if you have any teaching experience whatsoever. Just apply to shit on eslcafe.com.
If you've got a degree but no XP and are from England you also don't need a TEFL but it may help you settle in to the role and improve your first job offer.
If you're a confident guy or low on funds, skip the TEFL. If you're a bit nervous and have the money, get it.

>3) Are there any jobs or volunteer work that will help me get the position?
ESL is the in. Other jobs: nah, without relevant experience. Volunteering in Asia? ... meh it's not really the done thing. Better to earn money while over there.

>4) Can I train to be an English teacher in the UK while I'm waiting for October, or will I be expected to stay in the UK?
You can train in the UK but it's expensive and a dumb move. Better to just jump in.
JET don't care where you are in the meantime as long as you can work for them in October.
Get out there, take a job... maybe you'll end up with something better than the job you've got in October 2017 by then?

>5) Will mentioning that I'm a Buddhist in my application form hurt my chances
People don't generally put their religion on job applications, bro...
If you're of Asian descent then it will make more sense to them. If you're a white or black guy who is a Buddhist, some people may not be very understanding. If I were you, I'd definitely leave it off your CV.

Better to say in your cover letter that you are genuinely interested by Buddhism and Buddhist culture when describing your motivation for wanting to go there.
>>
Does anyone want to share any information and/or experiences of teaching in Central or South America?
>>
>>1188612
>that is definitely too unequivocal
M8, for Japan specifically if you are non-native speaker who has not has not had 12 years of schooling in English you are almost certainly not going to be hired overseas.

>>1188906
>I was thinking about Korea first, but I read a shit ton of Hagwon horror stories about people being fired and stranded in Korea.
This is certainly a reality, however were you not aware there are public school jobs in Korea? Korea's EPIK/GEPIK program is one of the best ESL jobs you can get. It's as good as JET.

>I'm way more interested in Japanese art and culture (not anime), and I'm keen to learn about their practice of Zen and Shingon Buddhism.

And so what if you do like anime. I always cringe when I see this shit where people just make it super extra clear (or just straight up lie) that they definitely don't like anime guys s-so p-please don't call me a *gasp* "weeb" on the internet I don't think I could bear that!

> Is it still worth getting a TEFL?
Eeehh, not really. Just have a bachelor's degree. If you have one great it may give you a bit of an advantage. But don't go out of your way. If you do go out for Korea's EPIK thing though you will need to take some kind of vertification class, but even a 100 hour bullshit online one is ok.

>Are there any jobs or volunteer work that will help me get the position?
Certainly any kind of teaching or working with kids would help.

> Can I train to be an English teacher in the UK while I'm waiting for October, or will I be expected to stay in the UK?
Don't "train" man. Take the bullshit online TEFL thing for EPIK if you go out for that, but just have your BA and go.
>>
>>1188438

they get paid much less than white native teachers and are usually discriminated against/have a hard time finding a job.
>>
>>1188419
Not sure of the statistics but i got my comfy job in a small rural town. Tongyeong.

2.5mil + all the typical esl job benefits. Pension, flight ticket, housing, etc.
>>
I posted this a few weeks back but did not manage to find anyone so I'll paste it here:

I work in a university in China near Taiyuan. It's only my second month here but I think that's been enough for me to deem it a decent, if not attractive position. I was hired directly by the university and the man who got me here has become a friend of mine. He wants one or two other foreign teachers but has no idea about making advertisements online, and the recruiter he's been working with seems to be a poor one. So he asked us of we could help him find a teacher and after giving it some thought, I figured I might be able to extend just the opportunity someone on here has been waiting for.

About the job itself: 18 teaching hours with complete freedom in how to teach, which is among my favorite things about teaching here as opposed to the high school setting I've taught in in the past. The pay comes out to 1000 dollars, but I have no doubt that 60-70% of that can be saved. Meals can be as cheap as a dollar and they provide an apartment, about a seven minute walk from the classes. The foreign teachers are in one building but we don't share anything.
>>
>>1188991

You need a bachelor's degree and a tesol certificate to qualify. If you do not have the latter, any online one would suffice; it is to satisfy some requirememt with the government.

One thing that's important to know is how little there is to do here. You might have a hard time if you have no personal enterprises to pursue. But even if this is a problem initially, I think the free time you have gives you time enough to develop a new hobby or refine some skill you might not have had the time for.

Like I said, it's only my second month but I have nothing to complain about. It would be nice to have someone with similar interests to enjoy the experience here with so I hope someone's interested. My skype id is aerochameleon, you can message me there if you want to pursue this or if you just have any questions.
>>
>>1188993
whats the contact info?
>>
What are some jobs that are reasonably easy to find abroad other than teaching English?
>>
>>1189057
cleaning, dishwashing
>>
>>1189055
You can start by contacting me on Skype. If all is good, I'll recommend you to the guy who would hire you.
>>
>>1189067
>1189067
>implying they are

Unskilled labor is quite protected in most countries.
>>
>>1188612
Thanks, I'll definitively try this year once I graduate
>>1188921
>M8, for Japan specifically if you are non-native speaker who has not has not had 12 years of schooling in English you are almost certainly not going to be hired overseas.

>>1188612
Thanks, I'll definitively try once I graduate
>>1188921
>M8, for Japan specifically if you are non-native speaker who has not has not had 12 years of schooling in English you are almost certainly not going to be hired overseas.

To be fair, I did some research and found out that some companies hire non natives, just not under instructor visa (If I remember correctly it should be humanist visa).The real problem is what job opportunities do I have after moving, rather than landing in Japan. I can't find a single clue of what japanese really thinks about the Italian language, if there are eikawas specialized in offering Italian lessons or how big the market actually is.
>>
>>1189119

I know NOVA offers Italian classes in some locations. Try applying there.
>>
>>1188916
Also would like information on this.
>>
>>1188921
I can accept your more qualified statement.

Not impossible, but unlikely with limited experience. And some people may need to be a bit creative with the CV. So this >>1189119 anon should probably consider getting some experience in China or Korea first. And I know for a fact there are plenty of non-native English speakers who don't even speak English that well getting ESL gigs in China and Korea.

For what it's worth, and sorry to go /pol/, but I'd say Korea is the smarter choice. China is stagnating economically and hitting the wall politically - and Trump is going to BTFO of them for the next 8 years. Major social instability is looking more likely all the time. May be interesting as fuck to see it... I know people who were in Tahrir Square... but Korea would be comfier, once they get rid of Park.

Also that anon talking about teaching Italian made a good point. Funny how that didn't even cross my mind.
>>
>>1189244
Pretty much all the NOVA lessons in languages that aren't English are done over video conference through the Osaka office. Those jobs are few and far between because so few students take other languages. The most popular after English is Mandarin and Korean by a lot
>>
what are some websites or other resources to look for esl jobs?
>>
>>1189118
except america, unfortunately
>>
>>1189365
Who is getting a green card because of their skills in dish washing and bar tending
>>
>>1189371
illegals do it. From Mexico. Not the bartending, but agriculture and construction.
>>
Is it possible to get a teaching job without a degree in countries like Korea, if I've gotten my TEFL and taught in a country like Cambodia or Vietnam for a while to build up experience?
>>
>>1189428
Bump to this please.
>>
>>1189428
For Korea and Japan the answer is no. Get the lousy bachelor's degree.
>>
>>1189119
>To be fair, I did some research and found out that some companies hire non natives, just not under instructor visa (If I remember correctly it should be humanist visa).

This is the case for all language school companies and with native speakers too. Public school ALTs go under an "instructor" visa, eikaiwa school people get a "Specialist in Humanities" visa. And I don't know which companies you're talking about, but I don't know any which don't have the 12 years of schooling in English requirement.

>I can't find a single clue of what japanese really thinks about the Italian language, if there are eikawas specialized in offering Italian lessons or how big the market actually is.

Bro, I don't want to be harsh, but you are just not going to find gainful, full time employment being a fucking Italian teacher in fucking Japan. Japanese people aren't studying Italian. They study English and Chinese and Korean is a distant third. The only Japanese studying Italian are maybe some hobbyist middle aged women or basic bitch uni girls (and 95% of them will be doing French over any other Euro language).

I think it's not out of the realm of possibility for you to land some kind of job teaching Italian part time, like on dispatch or via Skype or something. But it's not going to be full time.

Why don't you just come on a working holiday visa and try to piece some jobs together or something. If you speak English fluently you might be able to get part time stuff for English teaching. And maybe you could find some Italian classes or something.
>>
>>1189305
>Trump is going to BTFO of them for the next 8 years

He has stated he is not going to seek reelection
>>
>>1188189
Where did you get your TEFL certificate? Was it easy to find jobs? I'm 20, two years off my Film degree so you might be me.
>>
File: sad frog serenade.png (203KB, 480x413px) Image search: [Google]
sad frog serenade.png
203KB, 480x413px
I'm actually thinking of doing this, but teaching chemistry or biology abroad.

I want to save a fuckton of money to buy a rental property back home, or save up money for grad school (if I decide to get into research).

How are the opportunities for subject teaching? I've noticed there are very few job openings, but the couple that I've seen pay much more generously.
>>
>>1189941
You have a state teaching license than you have a fair amount of options for teaching subjects at international schools.
>>
File: trump_has_no_chance.jpg (3MB, 1920x1666px) Image search: [Google]
trump_has_no_chance.jpg
3MB, 1920x1666px
>>1189786
No he hasn't.
>>
>>1189941
If you're a "real teacher" then you don't look for those jobs on websites like Dave's ESL Cafe.

Science teachers are in demand. Physics most, admittedly, but being able to do chemistry and biology is very helpful, particularly at smaller schools where they have smaller numbers of teachers and therefore being able to teach multiple subjects can significantly help them with timetabling.

www.tes.co.uk is a good place to start if I remember - they have international shit.

The Guardian (another UK site) seems to have quite a few international school job listings. Or at least it did last time I was looking.

There are also outfits like Carney Sandoe and Search Associates who do placements. I don't think they're both US only. You have to pay them though and it's debatable that they do stuff you can't do yourself. (Also you aren't "guaranteed" anything even though you pay)

A cheaper version of what they do is TIEonline. It's relatively cheap - $30 or so - and opens up quite a few gigs. I actually got my current job through that website.

If you're prepared to put in the time, go on the IBO website and look at the lists of IB world schools in countries you're interested in. Then Google them and check their websites for Employment Opportunities.

The best private schools already know for the most part who will be around next year and who won't, they're already advertising for 2017-18. Now is a good time to start looking.

If you want to save big money fast, that's probably the Middle East or China... the Middle East is, by the sounds of it, a terrible and depressing place to be a teacher but you make very big money by teaching standards. The top schools in China pay very well for a variety of reasons and China, for all the bullshit, is still definitely a better place to live than the Middle East. Maybe give South Korea a look, too.

You can make big money at private schools in the West and Japan or course, but your cost of living is far higher.
>>
>>1190333
>the Middle East is, by the sounds of it, a terrible and depressing place to be a teacher

False, only Saudi Arabia, and to a lesser but still significant degree, Kuwait are horrible for teaching. I have heard great things from UAE, Qatar, and Bahrain. I don't know anyone who has taught in Oman or Jordan.

I ahve heard far more complaints from those teaching in China.
>>
WARNING: if you are in any way an autistic, shy sperg and not outgoing you will struggle getting and keeping an ESL/TEFL/whatever you want to call it English teaching job.

I'm on my 3rd or 4th job in an East Asian country, and I'm most likely going to be fired soon for not being outgoing enough and not getting all of my students to like me. I was fired from my last 3 jobs all for the same reason.

These slants will choose the customer over you, even if it's just one or two complaints, and even if they'll likely never get the customer's business again. You are easily expendable and replaceable in the eyes of Asian schools.
>>
>>1190346
how autistic are you though?
>>
>>1190346
come on, its not that hard. sounds like bullshit or you're leaving out important information.
what country specifically?
what are your certifications?

>inb4 some retard teaching in japan with no college degree
>>
>>1190340
>False
Nah, I don't think so.

China can be pretty terrible but I stand by what I said.

First off, in China, if you get a VPN and live in the expat bubble, you can remain comfortably oblivious to the suffering around you. For the most part, you're left alone to do your job, loads of great travel locations nearby and you can drink, party and bang local chicks all you want.

In the Middle East, you are far more likely to have students be rude to you without consequence (Daddy's friend is the cousin of the Interior Minister or some shit) or have your school change your grades and there is far less respect for the idea of education among the locals. Nearby travel options are significantly weaker... Europe is a long flight for just a weekend, for example. Furthermore, local chicks are off limits, getting booze is a drag and expensive and even if you feel well off, you're still always treated like a second class citizen by Emirati retards. Fuck that.

I know people who have been through the Middle East, but it's only the dimmest bulbs who try to tell me that Dubai was great. Mostly it was people who had specific money-making targets and were prepared to put their lives on hold for a few years while they hit them.
>>
>>1190397
>First off, in China, if you get a VPN and live in the expat bubble, you can remain comfortably oblivious to the suffering around you. For the most part, you're left alone to do your job, loads of great travel locations nearby and you can drink, party and bang local chicks all you want

I didn't teach, but I lived in Bahrain working in distribution/logistics and had a great time. I am not sure what suffering you are talking about. I know someone that teaches in Abu Dhabi and loves it. I met someone who taught in Qatar for years, and loved it, too. Better than her current job in Atlanta. I guess Arabs are easier to teach than American nigs.
>>
>>1190397
>loads of great travel locations nearby and you can drink, party and bang local chicks all you want.

Also, I did all of this in Bahrain, in addition to all of the Asian and African expat women working restaurants and retail. It was like a one stop shop, really.
>>
>>1190400
I'll admit to being unfamiliar with Bahrain. What you're saying doesn't really chime with what I've heard from a lot of people who spent time in the Middle East but maybe you were just better at it than them.
>>
>>1190400
>>1190404
and I would add that it's hard to believe the lifestyle is non-shit as you're officially a second class citizen and all...
>>
>>1190364
>>1190352

I have a degree and TEFL. I'm not a complete sperg, but I'm not really outgoing. Can be shy at times.

These schools only care about profit. If one or two students complain or you lose one student, they fire your ass. Or even if a slant manager hates you for no particular reason.
>>
>>1190397
>bang local chicks all you want.

And even that's starting to change now. China isn't the same as it was 5 years ago where foreigners were a novelty. Shit is changing, chink guys are getting rich. Girls don't give a fuck if you're foreign anymore.

And living in China without getting laid is an absolute miserable hell.
>>
File: received_10154668548915535.jpg (96KB, 960x550px) Image search: [Google]
received_10154668548915535.jpg
96KB, 960x550px
>>1190405
>>1190404

The only second class citizens are the Shia Majority, (Bahrain is ruled by the minority Sunni elite). Hell, even Indians and Asians of means have their own clout, the club in this pic is owned by an Indian. The property managers at the place I rented were Filpino and Indian, as were most the leadership and senior positions at the airport I worked. Also, as a westerner you are pretty much untouchable, unless a conflict involves a local. Like many countries, as the foreigner they will defer to the local, such as in traffic accidents and such. Granted Bahrain is a small country, as is Qatar and UAE for that matter, and I believe most of the people you heard from probably teach in Saudi Area. But just like you can't generalize teaching in Asia (China is different from S. Korea, is different from Japan), you can't generalize the Middle East.
>>
Do you have to be fluent in the language your students already know if your considering TEFL?
>>
>>1190497
>Do you have to be fluent in the language your students already know if your considering TEFL?
>if your considering TEFL?
>your considering
No, but you do need to be fluent in English.
>>
>>1190425
still didn't answer my questions.
>>
>>1190425
Why don't you come over here anon, it's nice and comfy. I'm the guy who posted these two
>>1188991
>>1188993
I am almost certain that you would never be fired here for not being outgoing.

>>1190493
You're doing a good job making Bahrain sound appealing. Can you share some sites to look for jobs for future reference and maybe share your thoughts on the locals?

What workload and salary can be expected? I don't think i can go back to teaching kids after i finish my contract now, is teaching in a university feasible? Also, I'm fluent in Arabic and I'm curious to know if you think that would make the experience any more interesting. I've had no hurdles or problems in China so far and I speak none of the language. Thanks for all your responses.
>>
>>1190624
I'm sorry, I just realized you mentioned you were not teaching in Bahrain. Disregard everything that has to do with teaching, but I'd still love to know what you thought of the people.
>>
>>1190124
>>1190333
Well, unfortunately, I'm not a licensed teacher. However, I do have informal teaching experience. I will check out some international schools, though, even if most of them are looking for licensed teachers.
>>
>>1190627
Good folks. I'd compare Manama to a less pretentious Dubai. More grounded. I have researched teaching jobs as a way to return there to work. My best advice in that regards is to search for international schools and see who is hiring there. From what a teacher told me who worked in Qatar, in the Middle East it's not so much teaching ESL, but being a licensed teacher with an ESL certification makes you golden. She made it even seem like a degree and ESL cert was more important than degree and license, or maybe having a teaching license was understood, but she really stressed how important an ESL cert was. Hell, even in the National schools most teachers are foreign. One local chick I bedded was a Lebanese school teacher. The fact you said you are fluent in Arabic, you should check out all schools.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_educational_institutions_in_Bahrain
>>
>>1190624

No offense, but teaching in the middle of bumfuck nowhere on a $1000 dollar/month salary doesn't really sound appealing to me, unless there's an easy chance to get a lot of private students and make decent cash on the side... but even then.

Is there even anything in the way of girls and a dating life out there? Or do all the foreign male teachers secretly bang their female students?
>>
>>1190427
Lol no.

If you can't get laid as a foreigner. There's some big underlying issues.
>>
>>1190849
Thanks, I'll keep this in mind in the future if I decide to spend time in the Middle East.

>>1190862
>Is there even anything in the way of girls and a dating life out there? Or do all the foreign male teachers secretly bang their female students?

I wouldn't know tbqh. I am busy with personal work and don't really care to burden myself with a relationship. I suppose you can use a dating app to find people if you wanted. I think you can get with a student also if you wanted, but I haven't tried and probably won't. I think it's immoral and there is a kind of innocence I see in them that I could not defile without compunction.

I understand it's not really an appealing position considering the money. It's just nice for me because of the free time and I figured I'd see if anyone else was looking for something similar. I hope your current employer finds you outgoing enough.
>>
File: Simplified.gif (43KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
Simplified.gif
43KB, 400x400px
Does it matter at all what your bachelors' degree is about? It's just that you need to have some sort of degree? I'm currently studying economics/IT as a exchange student in South Korea, and I'd be really interested in spending 1-2years teaching english abroad after graduating. Preferably Korea or Japan since I really like em, but I'm not a native speaker (I'm Norwegian) so China or Taiwan would be nice.

Anyone taught in Taiwan? I went there for a trip and really loved it. People are friendly, chicks are gorgerous and food is great. Also a cheap place. How is Taiwan for teaching opportunities as a non-native english speaker?
>>
>>1190934
In Japan it doesn't matter in the least, just that you have one. Majoring in English will get you more interviews though obviously.

Other countries I don't know
>>
>>1190427
Nah, getting laid with Chinese chicks is easy if you're a halfway decent looking Westerner.

>>1190658
You don't need to be licenced. I wasn't when I started working at international schools in China. Good luck.

>>1190934
No. You just need to have a degree. (It's much harder to get in without one)

>>1190398
>suffering
Well, the slaves- I mean indentured labourers- I mean "guest workers".

And in Bahrain, the entire Shia population - a majority - is heavily oppressed. I think they may have been machinegunned during the Arab Spring. Would need to check.

Arabs are easier to teach than American nigs, yes, but white or Asian kids are better than both.

>>1190493
>Also, as a westerner you are pretty much untouchable, unless a conflict involves a local.
>unless a conflict involves a local.

Second class citizenship status confirmed.

Fuck the whole Middle East and all of the backward camel shaggers who come from there.
>>
>>1191112
>Well, the slaves- I mean indentured labourers- I mean "guest workers".
It's really not the situation SJWs make it out to be. At least not for the majority, see my other posts where I address this some. Now it is worse in Saudi Arabia, and I think that's where most negative ME talk comes from. The Shias yo will hardl encounter in Manama. The developed areas are honestly more foreigners than locals. Shias stay in their enclaves, not saying they don't get btfo, saying you won't see it/ it won't effect you, as an expat.

>>1191112
>>>1190493
>>Also, as a westerner you are pretty much untouchable, unless a conflict involves a local.
>>unless a conflict involves a local.

That's the same as Thailand and most places, tbf. And as I said locals are actually a rare commodity. Especially a sunni one. I got deferred to even over Saudis, though I think there is some low key hate for them. Most of the police are actually Pakis. Natural enemy of the Indians to keep them in check, who are probably the clear majority.
>>
How hard is it for a non-native English speaker to get TEFL certificate ? I can speak fluently but i never received any formal English training before (i don't know any of the grammar rules by name for example). I'm going to Korea soon to work at a language school. It's a voluntary job and all i'm going to do student practise English.

Where should i look into if i want to become a proper English-teacher ? I already have an undergrad degree
>>
>>1190883
>>1191112

Majority of foreigners in china now are fucking ugly/chubby/dark skinned 5/10s over the age of 25 that chink guys wouldn't dream of touching. And they get maybe one every 6 months to a year, and end up marrying them. kek Maybe you fare better in the countryside, but that'll change soon too.

If you don't think so, post up some of the girls you've slept with.
>>
>>1191342
I don't disagree with what you just said.

I was under the assumption that by "foreigner" you meant a somewhat decent looking white man.
>>
>>1191403
>>1191342
this should be on the /trv/ sticky:
>if you can't get laid here, you can't get laid there
>>
Hey guys, has anyone done the course offered by the Australia-Vietname School Of English? http://avse.edu.vn/

Or does anyone know anyone that has?
Are they reputable and any good?
>>
Sup lads, perhaps you can help me out

>Native Spanish and Catalan (lol) speaker
>Certified C2 (CPE) in English
>B2 in German
>Degree in philosophy, minor in philosophy of language and logic
>Finishing my masters in Education next year

What are my options if I want to teach overseas? I assume that my degree is basically worthless, as philosophy is not really taught in many countries.

Should I get a TEFL, or the Spanish equivalent? It seems that many countries don't grant visas to English teachers that aren't from the anglosphere, but I don't know if there's any demand for Spanish.
>>
>>1191342

Are you kidding? I lived in China for a few years, I was overweight, I am socially awkward, and yet I was very popular with the ladies. Pic is a random college student I was banging in the last 6 months or so there, when I was in my late 20s.

I attribute my success to being white and Chinese girls wanting green cards.
>>
>>1191980

Whoops did not attach picture, so add stupid to my list of deficiencies.
>>
>>1191981

where in china?
>>
>>1191981
Love those hips. I get what anon is saying though. When interracial dating happens, though the other race may seem attractive to the opposite, typically they are who their own race consider unattractive. Like the woman in your pic. A chinese person may consider her too dark, and even too large/over weight, though she isn't by western standards.
>>
>>1191791
in the magical kingdom of Narnia-Catalonia-Euskal Herria
>>
>>1191791
Your best bet is actually getting licensed as a teacher and teachingin a western country. The USA has a program to bring in foreign people to teach, but they will stick in a shitty predominantly black high school that whites are scared to teach at. A lot of Indians and Africans get to the USA this way.
>>
>>1191981
Looks half-Chinese at most.

Also a bit old.
>>
>>1192071
Japan has some pretty crazy high standards for whats considered overweight and that girl is no where near close. Can you show an example of a girl that wouldn't be considered over weight?
>>
>>1191981
More? And more info?
>>
File: IMG_1607.png (4MB, 2448x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1607.png
4MB, 2448x2448px
>>1191992
Near Shanghai.

>>1192093
Don't have any more pics, I think I found that one on her QQ home or whatever back when we were going out. Anyway she was a country bumpkin; great body but un-feminine and un-sophisticated personality. And she smoked which is rare for women in China.

Really I don't get how a white dude can NOT get laid in China if he wants to. I moved to Japan and my success rate decreased a lot, but I was still banging college students or early-20-somethings pretty regularly. And the Japanese girls were more intelligent, sophisticated and much much better in bed (less star fishing). And way less hairy bush, I would say 50% or more of Japanese girls who are interested in foreigners shave or wax their pussies.

Another random example: in Japan I dated a girl who worked at a maid cafe. She would always dress up in cosplay outfits on our dates. You wouldn't believe some of the outfits she wore while I fucked her.

Man, those were good times. Now I'm back in America and women won't even give me the time of day. I should've taken more spank bank pics while I had the chance.

Pic is maid cafe girl. She dressed up in a schoolgirl outfit on our first date.
>>
>>1192080
I'm getting licensed in my home country and I hope I'll get some experience besides internships soon.

Working in EU is probably my best bet as far as visa troubles go, but many countries have strict regulations and whatnot for teaching in the public system. I was wondering if any of you have experience with international schools or private language academies. Is it hard to land a job in those? What certs do they look for in applicants?

>>1192075
This doesn't even make sense, step up your baiting
>>
>>1192160
Subscribing to Asian Sex Diary helps scratch the itch
>>
>>1190926
Would they consider hiring someone who has a non-working spouse?
>>
>>1192160
i've experienced the same thing. average women dont give me the time of day here, they act like i should put loads of effort in to them or it's not good enough. fly over to asia and im getting interested looks by good looking girls every time i go outside. i should have never gone home.
>>
>>1191566
bump on this please
>>
>>1192160
Uhh that shit is just weird. I swear japs are so fucking strange. Wanting to exist as objects and having the gayest fantasies. Dressing as a maid on your first date? What the actual fuck am I reading right now? How are you supposed to learn who someone is if they're dressed as a fucking maid? Smh
>>
File: 1478387461593.jpg (57KB, 490x337px) Image search: [Google]
1478387461593.jpg
57KB, 490x337px
Any experiences teaching english in Mexico, Chile, Argentina or Colombia? I plan on doing this in September and some stories or advice would be awesome.

Im thinking Mexico because of how cheap it is.
>>
>>1192160
>Really I don't get how a white dude can NOT get laid in China if he wants to.

I know you will say I am wrong, but my dick determines that is a lie. You don't even have to be white. Asian girls are just easier if you are from the West. I honestly think it's because Asian guys are shit, coupled with a lack of feminism, so basic shit Western women would disregard Asian chicks eat up.

But what's really funny is white men say stuff like this all the time. But when anybody else does htis on this board it's "why are you mentioning you're Mexican/black/female. It is irrelevant, attention whore.
>>
>>1192246

because nobody asked for your opinion, nor were they talking about niggers. they were talking about white foreigners.

shitskins and nigs are irrelevant in most asian countries because they do so poorly, and nobody wants to hear their opinion
>>
>>1192256
Fuck off you racist prick
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (117KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
117KB, 1280x720px
>>1192160

How long ago was that? Because the majority of foreign male/china female couples now look like this. Guy with his ugly ass monkey-looking 3/10 chink gf.

I hear Japan is even worse. Young 20 something thirsty foreign men competing over 30+ old, demented fucking hags with dried up eggs that Japanese guys wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole lol.

Either you're lying or you have some kind of look the girls like, like non-threatening, androgynous asian-looking male, or blonde hair, blue eyes.
>>
>>1192259
well its not like either of them are attarcive at all anyway
>>
>>1192160
>early-20
Old.
>>
>>1188239

I think why shit like this is reason to go to a diploma mill. Basically you are buying a degree online, might even be accredited (b.s accrediting most of the time) so if they call the office, or dispute anything, you say hey no way, I went to class for that.
>>
File: EXID.jpg (92KB, 540x650px) Image search: [Google]
EXID.jpg
92KB, 540x650px
>>1192160

Sounds like good times man. I've only had experience with Korean girls and they can be quite hard compared to Chinese and Japanese. What were you doing in China/Japan? Teaching English? Why did you return to the states bro
>>
File: 2015-01-21 06.26.11.jpg (32KB, 389x560px) Image search: [Google]
2015-01-21 06.26.11.jpg
32KB, 389x560px
>>1192256
>shitskins and nigs are irrelevant in most asian countries because they do so poorly, and nobody wants to hear their opinion

wrong, again, boyo. And i have much more.
>>
>>1192273

nice ladyboy hooker, jamal
>>
>>1192273
why is this so funny
>>
>>1192274
It seems really hard for racist white people to comprehend but most Asians from other countries equally look down on all races that are not Asian. Sure in America you get the racists that have also fed into America's racism but once you go abroad its always Native countries Asians > Other Asians > (If Eastern Asian) South East Asians > Other races

If a girl is interested in dating a non-Asian shes equally interested in every non-Asian. It makes the ugly to mediocre white guys angry when they find this out though for some reason
>>
>>1192288
i'm not him but that hasnt even been remotely close to my experience. granted most of my experience is in SE Asia, it seems to me they have a strong rivalry with other asians and think some neighboring asians to be far beneath them. i've heard first hand of many thai people who believe white blonde blue eyes people to be some kind of master race of rich worldly flawless people. of course the average person can tell a good looking black guy and good looking white guy are about the same, there is definitely some white fetishism/westaboo tendencies among asians.
>>
>>1192256
go back to pol
>>
Im considering giving this a shot, I want to explore teaching maths though. I was a math major at uni (im 25) and I have tutored people privately.
>>
These insecure virgins and /pol/ idiots are why sex threads are usually banned here. Such a shame.
>>
>>1192313
Agreed. God I wish these people would just fuck in their own country
>>
Newboi here, This is coolest thing ever. I am from India can I do this in Europe or some first world country? Also how much time is necessary in each cycle. Pls halp.
>>
>>1192289
That's merely confirmation bias, of course you are going to hear this because the people attracted to you will most likely feel this way. But if you take a step back and look at the big picture, you will see what this anon is saying is mostly true. >>1192288
>Native countries Asians > Other Asians > (If Eastern Asian) South East Asians > Other races

Even in Thailand, what's most attractive is the Korean idol look for men. They also like Japanese, but there is some animosity to Chinese due to tourism, but Chinese Thais are popular. You see a lot of intermarriage among Thais and Cambodians and Laotians, though Thais do kind of look down on the rest of SEA. In the major cities a lot of women will actually avoid white guys of a certain type/look, for the assumption that if you are with a white dude you must be a hooker. Or if you are with a white guy all her friends are asking about how much money he gives you/does he take care of you. That said, white dudee have no problem getting laid in Asia. Black dudes have no problem getting laid in Asia. There is enough pussy for everybody. It's not a competition.
>>
>>1192346
A bunch of Indian teachers in the USA. Usually math teachers.
>>
>>1192355
Great! Coming to emigrate your great country.
>>
>>1192354
Thais are Koreaboos. East Asians don't like each other but still more intermarriage happens among East Asians, all Asians really, than with whote people, or non-Asians in general. Look at all the Japanese-Chinese, Korean-Japanese, Chinese-Korean movie stars like Takeshi Kaneshiro
>>
>>1192288
I have black friends in korea but the girls that go for him are entirely different from the girls that go for me. I'm white. It's why there's terms like "jungle fever" "yellow fever" "white fever" whatever. I haven't seen a single girl who fucks everything just because it isn't asian. They usually have a preference, because they're fucking humans. Whites are niche just like blacks are niche.

Just because they're dating outside their race doesn't mean they automatically want to be fucked by every race' males.
>>
>>1192362
Yeah, this is why I said he was mostly true, here:>>1192354 but not completely. That's the confirmation bias I mentioned, but you did a better job on expounding on it than I did.
>>
Hi I was looking into getting a job in China. I have a bachelors degree but a cheIap/easy online TEFL certification be enough for most jobs? I know it will be shit but I just want to leave ASAP. I plan on getting a CELTA cert with the goal of teaching in Hong Kong

Any advice on Hong Kong?
>>
>>1192242
bump
I'm also interested
>>
>>1192362
In my experience in Japan, if a girl is willing to date non-Japanese she usually doesn't have much of a preference besides the person being attractive. Most of the girls I dated, I usually wasn't their first foreigner, but it was much more common for me to be the first black guy they dated, since theres way less in Japan than other foreigners.

Occasionally you'll run into the girls that want to fuck a stereotype (of whatever race) or two but those girls usually quickly go back to Japanese after they get it out their system.
>>
File: 1481765988978m.jpg (152KB, 1024x532px) Image search: [Google]
1481765988978m.jpg
152KB, 1024x532px
>>1192499
>>
>>1192501
That image is so laughably wrong it hurts.
>>
>>1192288
LOL what bullshit, plenty of girls in Thailand dislike black guys and prefer whites over blacks.
>>
>>1192875
His post actually makes sense man, it's obvious that Asian women will find sometimes Non-Asian men sort of exotic because it's something that they don't really see everyday you know.
>>
File: received_10154695764105535.jpg (26KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
received_10154695764105535.jpg
26KB, 720x720px
>>1192875
And plenty are the opposite. Like it's been said, of course as white guy you are more likely to encounter women that feel this way. The attached pic I took from a Thai friend's FB. And her profile pic is her and her black man. As a black guy I know a bunch of Thais who prefer black dudes, most of the ones I know personally, because that's most likely who I will encounter being black. I don't have a confirmation bias though, that says ,"all Thai women prefer black guys".
>>
>>1192998
Blacks are universally considered the least attractive race, its the same in Asian. There is a minority of girl who find them attractive, but majority won't
>>
>>1193005
Actually that's Indians, and a minority find whites attractive as well. The majority find other Asians attractive. But the minority that find non Asians attractive, whether white or black, are greater than the number of white or black guys available. What's it even worth comparing. If you are a foreigner you will get laid.
>>
>>1193022
>Actually that's Indians
Actually, that's Asians, but in Asia it's Indians. You must be Asian.
>>
UK national here, seriously considering doing this. I'm 24, currently working as an assistant kindergarten teacher. Bored of my life here, job is terrible pay, broke up with my boyfriend 2 months ago, feel like there is nothing keeping me here so wanna see some more of the world.

Questions:
>I've already got experience working with children, is that gonna help me get a job?
>I can do a TEFL course pretty cheap online, is it worth it?
>I have a bachelor's degree but it has no honours, will that be enough?
>Where should I go? I wanna go somewhere where I can not only work but meet other travellers to party/plan backpacking with when I've saved enough money. I know a lot of people choose Asia but what about Europe/South America?
>>
>>1193341
Spain seems to be the popular choice for Europe. Thailand seems to be your best bet for the partiers and backpackers. For Thailand I'd suggest taking a course there, making it easier to transition into a job. You can view courses on Ajarn.com
>>
>>1193005
>White guy
>Lemme tell you what its like to be black
>>
I'm a week late but hey, it's /trv/

>>1191116
>the situation SJWs make it out to be
Don't try to pretend it's only SJWs who are appalled by the medieval shit hole called the middle east.

I'm not saying that shit has to affect your life. But after living in a place for a while, thoughtful people become sensitive to what's happening outside the expat bubble. And once you're sensitive to it, if you're also a decent person then it'll bum you out. If you're just a young dude looking to fuck then this shit doesn't matter, but if you're getting towards 30 and starting to feel a bit more like a grownup then it'll get ya.

>That's the same as Thailand and most places, tbf.
Yes and Thailand is also a shit hole. Most of the world outside the US, Australia/NZ and Europe is. (And Europe seems to be doing its best to make itself shit.) That's why so many people are trying to get in on our action. And that's also why average white dudes can punch way above their weight with girls in Asia and Latin America.

>>1191342
>Majority of foreigners in china now are fucking ugly/chubby/dark skinned 5/10s over the age of 25
>if a girl doesn't look and act like a teenage anime character they are worthless
This is why you don't have a girlfriend, bro.

And no, I'm not going to post pics of girls I've fucked for you to fap to.
>>
File: 2outof10.jpg (39KB, 407x405px) Image search: [Google]
2outof10.jpg
39KB, 407x405px
>>1192085
You are literally the Asian version of this guy
>>
>>1192309
Go for it. Lots of good advice in this thread.
>>
File: WP_20140809_22_19_28_Pro.jpg (6MB, 3024x5376px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20140809_22_19_28_Pro.jpg
6MB, 3024x5376px
>>1193535
>If you're just a young dude looking to fuck then this shit doesn't matter, but if you're getting towards 30 and starting to feel a bit more like a grownup then it'll get ya.

I was there in my early 30s, and most expats were older than me
>Pic related

Old British banker i used to deal with and his gf

The situation is not as dire as people make it out to be for most of the developing nations citizens here. People act like they are slaves when they are there by choice. Abuses happen, and I know some fucked up stories. But it's not the majority and overall less than what happens in India, and even in a lot of Western countries. Don't paint the Middle East with one brush when it's a bunch of different countries. The Gulf Countries really aren't bad. Expats outnumber locals in most of them. Yout just admitted that most of the world is a shithole. Well, at least the gulf states, are less of a shit hole than Africa, South Asia, and SEA, which is why so many people literally flock there. But the West thinks of it as being so horrible because from our Western standards they look exploited, when they are better off.
>>
File: turkeymap.png (94KB, 2000x918px) Image search: [Google]
turkeymap.png
94KB, 2000x918px
Does anyone have any experience teaching in Turkey? That's where I'm headed after my degree is done.
>>
>>1193554
One anon, who was black, or at least half black taught there, and said he didn't get laid, but said he had no problem getting laid in Kazakhstan, where he went to teach next.
>>
>>1193549
I remember you. Do you remember me? I talked about a Japanese chef giving me a bunch of free stuff then meeting all his friends. Then getting fucked up till the next morning. This was during my week vaca to Japan.
>>
>>1193549
India is great for expats though
>>
>>1193589
So is the Gulf States, most who poo poo it have never lived there, Or talk about the KSA (which even is not THAT bad), and apply it to the region,

>>1193561
I imagine you remember me fro my cool expats/travelers/locals you meet abroad thread (which I talked about how this guy financed everything when we were together. I used this pic as the OP for that thread,
>>
Top lol @ nig nogs thinking they're on the same playing field as white men in asia

Virgins and nigs who have clearly never set foot in asia
>>
>>1193655
Another virgin missing the point. It's not a competition. It doesn't matter if nigs are on the same playing field. The point is nigs still have no problem getting laod in Asia, just like whites have no problem getting laid in Asia. Even if the "playing field" is better for whites, overall. It's arguably better for nigs, because there are less nigs than whites in Asia, thus less competition for the Asians that want nigs. Hell, I didn't see a black man for weeks when in Thailand. Once I left tourist centers.
>>
>>1193671
To add to this, the women nigs get aren't typically what the Asians want, and the women the white guys get aren't typically what the Asians want, and the women the nigs get aren't what white guys want, and vice versa, but the ones we all get are the ones that we all find attractive. Another reason this debate is stupid. It's not like we are even fishing in the same pool.
>>
>>1190427
>Girls don't give a fuck if you're foreign anymore.
that's not entirely true. I meet girls all the time that say they wouldn't date a chinaman
>>1192085
you're an idiot
>>1192259
>Because the majority of foreign male/china female couples now look like this. Guy with his ugly ass monkey-looking 3/10 chink gf
There is a lot of this. I feel sorry for them because I'm less good looking than them and my gf is far hotter (and gives outrageously sloppy blowjobs).
>>
>>1191566
>>1192239
bump again
>>
I am going to be graduating in 2018 with a Bachelors in English Language Arts Eduation and a state teaching certificate. My main focus is Korea and I am rather familiar with the EPIK program. From what I have read it seems with my credentials I can look for better jobs. Is this true? Also, how exaggerated are the reports that the job market (specifically EPIK) is drastically reducing in size?
>>
Teaching English over in Japan here. What would be the best option for an MA TESOL to level up to teaching the university circuit?

A. Do a distance Master's

+ Can do while in Japan, so I don't have to leave. Can network while here.
- Don't learn as well without a physical classroom, library, etc., and the degree may be looked down upon due to being online

B. Do an MA TESOL abroad

+ Experience new country (UK or Australia in this case), have a better learning experience
- Lose out on a year's worth of income, have to leave Japan (possibly hard to get back in?)
>>
>>1194106
Prostitutes hate doing it too. Several have casually and frankly told me they'll only go with blacks if they're desperate for a client.
>>
File: Untitled.gif (179KB, 640x720px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.gif
179KB, 640x720px
>>1194106
Even if that was true, that 1% would be the ones that travel
>>1194269
more confirmation bias, there are whole clubs in Thailand and Japan for nig chasers.
>>
>>1194273
It's not confirmation bias, it's what I was told.
>>
How disappointed will asian girls be when they find out my dick is smaller than the native asian guys?
>>
>>1194287
Not that guy, but you are being told by an Asian girl with a white guy, even if a hooker. The fact that she is with you already says a lot. I worked with hookers, as a papasan. They all have their preferences. I have had some who didn't like going with white guys because they always try for anal. There was some who didn't like black guys because they said there too big or rough. But when they say black guys 9/10 what they really mean are Africans. The most preferred customers are Americans, Germans, and other Northern Europeans, no matter the race, because they give the girls the most respect. At the same time, even when unsolicited, when they talk to customers, they will say whatever.

Pic is from my old place. It had a bunch of bedrooms, acted like a guesthouse of sort. Girls didn't stay on premises. Would either funnel guests to certain clubs where the mamasans would present a lineup, or just have the mamasans send me pics on LINE or whatsapp if a guest wanted a girl but didn't want to go out for it.
>>
>>1193549
I am that British banker, you 'orrible lil' toe rag!

How dare you post me and my bottom bitch, Jingjing on the Internet like this?

THE DEAL IS OFF
>>
>>1194317
This seems illogical to me. You are telling other people what their experience are. All the black guys who say they have a good time and hook up with women in Asia are lying. Granted a minority travels there. I'm in the Air Force, all the black military guys married to Asian women don't exist. There are legit more black men (and plenty of white, too) married to Asian women than there are married to black women. All the blasians like Jhen Aiko, Tiger Woods, Chanel Iman, Karreuche Tran, Hines Ward, and Ms. Japan don't exist? Sounds like you are the one in a bubble trying to protect your precious waifus. And what does any of this have to with TEFL?
>>
>>1194317
In the USA 25% of black men marry outside of their race. 1 in 4. Highest of any male demographic. Though white males are the highest in sheer numbers, though that makes up only 7%. White men and women both outmarry at 7%. Asian women are the most likely female demo to marry out 37%. When over a third of your race is marrying out, I am sure there's a few out there that are into black guys. Enough for the even fewer black guys who are into Asians. Almost all aren't.
>>
>>1194331
I'm not the papasan. There is more than one black person on 4Chan you know.
>>
>>1194301
question, if I send a LB money by Western Union could it get me into any trouble? Its not much, around 50 pounds for time she spent with me.
>>
>>1194338
I am this guy>>1194273
>>
>>1194339
No, but if you are really concerned Western Union the money to yourself. Unless you are back in whatever country.
>>
>>1194344
Whatever you need to believe to sleep at night.
>>
>>1194331
>2. 99% of them ARE prostitutes that are looking for a way out. oh wow, you work with prostitutes and know lots of them who married nigs?

Papasan here. Actually it's the white guys that marry the hookers. Usually Germans and Scandinavians. US Navy guys, too. But have seen all types. I can think of only two black guys, maybe 3, where they actually married the girl. A lot of broken marriage promises and black babies running around, though. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Same_Same_but_Different
>>
>>1194357
In Okinawa, and Tokyo for that matter, there are legit Jigger Jap Nigger chasers. That said, volunteered at an orphanage on Okinawa, all the kids except one looked half black.
>>
>>1188991
>>1187205
What's the sanitary situation like?
>>
>>1187205
So if I were to get a degree in english without being able to speak an asian dialect could I get a job?
>>
Great thread talking about real TOEFL issues guys! Keep it up!
>>
>>1194368

>get a degree in english
>waste $60,000+ dollars and get into debt for no reason on a useless degree

kek
>>
>>1194360

The hip hop groupie niche for blacks is dying or has already died out in Japan, from what I hear. I doubt it's been a real thing since like 2011 or 2012.

Too bad, Japan was like the only country in Asia where nig nogs could score relatively decent looking asian girls. kek
>>
>>1194391
Fuck tefl issues and Fuck tefl teachers and Fuck you
>>
>>1194475
R u ok
>>
>>1194414
>decent looking
>Asian girls

Pick one
>>
>>1190498
REKT
>>
>>1194413
>on a useless degree
Not if you want to teach English abroad, which is what this thread is about, btw.
>>
>>1187205
Is this Oxford stuff the same as CELTA? I Googled CELTA Certification and this pops up as all the early hit results. Yet there's no mention of "CELTA" anywhere on this site. It's got to be CELTA certified for the real deal, right?

Pic related was pulled from their website.

https://www.oxfordseminars.com
>>
File: oslogo_243x67_trans_png.png (13KB, 243x67px) Image search: [Google]
oslogo_243x67_trans_png.png
13KB, 243x67px
>>1194908
Pic
>>
>>1193005
lol. Dunno where you're from m8. But in my hometown most girls love getting blackman D.

Notice all the cuckfetish porn starring girlfriend/wife of hubby fucks a black dude? lololol. shit is real famalam
>>
>>1194926
True, but that's because people like to look at disgusting things, train wrecks, etc. Not even trying to hate, but I honestly, logically think that's a big part of it.
>>
>>1194932
As a black man who travels, it seems most want to fuck you, or at least someone wants to fuck you, the world over, but the number that actually would date you long term/marry you is small. Though even that pool does exist, and is larger than the black men pool who is traveling the world looking to get married.
>>
>>1194958
This is constantly rehashed.

Blacks are niche. Whites are niche. Especially in Asia. There will be some variance in numbers but it doesn't change the fact.

Though blacks will have a harder time finding a wife because of family approval.

For fucking and dating, blacks and whites do just dandy in big cities in Asia.
>>
>>1188991
>>1188993
The semester is coming to a close and the university I posted about a while back is looking for two teachers to start mid February. This is to resurrect the offer from the neglected innards of the thread. You can message me if you're interested or have any questions. I'm staying another semester; suffice that to show that low pay can be justified when a position is interesting and comparatively enjoyable.
>>
>>1194992
The family approval thing is not a thing at all in Japan and Korea is really the only country with the major hang up.
>>
>>1195021
Ah really? Interesting. I've been living in korea 2 years. I've seen more more half black half jap military brats more than any other mix. I haven't seen any mixed korean blacks though. Guess that explains it.
>>
>>1195100
As a black military guy, I'll tell you most of the black guys married to Asians are military. Asians are at the bottom of most blacks attractiveness, and vice versa. But culturally we are very comfortable. And when first hand exposure happens we hit it off. I was never attracted to Asians before the Marines. Then I was stationed in Asia where that was the primary choice of women. Ended up dating a few and fucking a whole lot more. The first one I dated was a blind date, my roommate was dating her friend. She later told me she didn't even want to go when she saw me, she thought I was African and she "never like brac guy", but we hit it off. She has actually dated nothing but black guys since. Another one I dated began similarly, my roommate had an Asian chick he was fucking bring over a friend, and we hit it off. I was the first black guy she ever talked to/dated. Dated for 2 years. Though I am pretty sure that one still doesn't like black guys overalls.

I am back in the USA, I believe I mentioned earlier in this thread there are several black men in my small neighborhood married to Japanese women. One white guy married to a Filipina. Which is more common it seems. Blacks married to East Asians. Whites married to SEAs. Though both happens. I think it's an opposite attracts thing. White military dudes prefer the darker skin, black ones the lighter
>>
>>1195116
>But culturally we are very comfortable
Compatible
>>
>>1195100
Never been to Korea but that's the only place I have heard it's difficult for black guys in Asia. Which is ironic, because black and Korean are one of the most common hapas you see in the USA (Hines Ward, Tyson Beckford, Chanel Iman). Atlanta especially seems to have a high Korean/black population. Maybe it's the Army bases in Georgia.
>>
>>1195116
>>1195119
Ahh. I'm originally from the Pacific Northwest. Interesting to hear what it's like for you guys.

Teaching English in Korea has been an awesome experience for me. Socially, sexually, culturally and financially.

But I'll be damned if i can ever find a black guy in general. There's literally one guy in my city but he's weird and approaching 40. If i see a black person it's usually a woman. The ESL draw isn't big for the average Black guy i guess.

I like hearing about people's positve experiences but they're hard to find.
>>
>>1195124
I know of several black women who teach abroad in various countries, not even just ESL. But only personally know of one black dude in Thailand, though I am sure there's more. I may do it when I get out of the Marines, but I will be approaching 40 myself at that point
>>
so do they actually care what kind of degree you have, or do they just want some proof of higher education?
>>
I am a male with long hair. Will this prevent me from getting a job in China?
>>
>>1195142
It doesn't matter, as long as it's a bachelor's degree.

>>1195201
Prevent? Probably not. Hinder? Maybe.
>>
this is probably more of an /adv/ question, but whatever:

currently trying to start my graduate degree in europe, due to lower costs and my degree being more valuable there.

how plausible does it sound to teach english in Spain to save up money and stay long enough to get EU citizenship? my other option would be to teach in korea and save up enough money first, the main benefit of this being I would presumably save more money because of better pay and lower cost of living.
>>
>>1195119

Nigs struggle in every asian country outside of maybe Japan and the Philippines. In Japan they rely on a dying hip hop niche of trashy 25+ year old chubby christmas cake women that nobody wants, and in the Phils they are banging the dark skinned Negrito girl monkeys that might as well be black anyway.
>>
>>1195201

yeah, it's all about image in Asia. they want you to be a clean-cut white guy. I've been discriminated against for jobs for having a very short trimmed beard and a shaved head.

these gooks are pretty narrow-minded
>>
>>1195513
Why do you insist on telling black people what they do, instead of believong actual black people in this thread. I have traveled throughout Asia and the only country I didn't literally stumble into pussy (not evek looking for sex, but sex happened) was S. Korea.
>>
>>1195563

I've talked to black guys and have some black acquaintances. Been in East Asia for about 3 years; traveled thru various Asian countries. I haven't seen any blacks pull girls in any clubs/bars I've been in. In the rare occurrences I've seen them with local girls in public the girls were usually totally ugly and trashy looking.

The black guys I knew personally talked about struggling or rarely getting laid. Japan iis the only country where I've seen with some consistence black guys with J women in public and not doing extremely horrible.
>>
>>1195513
>25+ year old chubby christmas cake women
I thought thats what black guys loved? literally every black guy I know who is with a non-black woman, she's fat
>>
I'm 26, just got my MA in English Studies but I have no certified teaching qualifications. I'm moving to Thailand next month.

Can you recommend me a TEFL course in Thailand? I'm searching for a one that will actually help me improve as a teacher.
>>
>>1194958
Makes sense.
>>
With a Masters degree from the University of Cambridge, previous experience as a private tutor back home, and experience as a voice actor/tutor; which country should I look at to make some money for a year before going back for my PhD? I speak Russian so somewhere in that sphere might be nice, but it's not critical. Also I like to have decent accomodation, not a bed bugs+squat toilet kind of guy
>>
Asked this in the wrong thread.

Is TEFL worth it as a career? I'm at a point where I can do this or go into the military. It's pretty much my only two options. TEFL seems nice since I can come home for christmas practically guaranteed right?

How many hours do you guys work a day?

If you do a one year commitment is it actually 12 months of work or like 9 when you factor in "summer"?
>>
>>1196465

Career? You'll be miserable after 6 months.

There's a reason why most ESL teachers who are lifers or have been teaching for 5-10 years or longer are raging alcoholics. You do NOT want to rely on ESL teaching for the rest of your life.
>>
>>1196527
What if I want to be a teacher anyway?
>>
>>1196527
what about getting a masters to teach at a university? how hard are the programs to get into?
>>
Is it normal for an employer to have me go into China on a tourist visa and get the work visa at some point while I'm working there? Should I be suspicious of this? The job I have an offer for is in Shanghai; my interviewer assured me that this is legal according to Shanghai regulations
>>
>>1196600

kek no. it's illegal to do that. you can't teach on anything other than a work visa.

expect your school to fuck you over and fire you the first month, and never pay you if you follow through with that. also good luck if the school gets raided
>>
>>1196465
People have answered this question in detail in this thread.

So read the thread!

>>1196600
The other anon doesn't know what he's talking about.

What you're describing about is very common, although it's not ideal. Not is it technically legal, but hey, it's China and the only real law is "don't offend the Communist Party".

What's happening is that your school is hedging their bet in a typically mainland fashion. They are probably thinking that there's about a 10% chance that you are an aggressive alcoholic sex predator in China with the specific purpose of spreading AIDS. So if you show up on a tourist visa, they can get rid of you quickly if they decide that they don't want to honour their end of the contract. Very standard practice especially with people relatively new to the game.

If I were in your position, however, I would express a concern. Say that you read somewhere that you are supposed to get a proper work visa before going to China. And therefore you'd like to get the visa before you go in and so on. See what they say. The fact that you've bothered to learn about it counts in your favour.

You could use this for leverage if they really want you to go in as a tourist (probably because they need you ASAP) - possibly an assurance you'll get some decent spending money on the visa run you'll probably have to make.

Don't say to them "I'm worried that it's illegal" because then you are kind of forcing them to admit that it is, technically, illegal - or lie - and they won't appreciate that... which means they'll have less sympathy for you.
>>
>>1196709

>The other anon doesn't know what he's talking about.

that's why you basically just repeated the same thing that I said, you dipshit. and yes, it is illegal to work on anything other than a Z work visa. RARELY will a school pay for you to go and stay in hong kong for a week to get a work visa, and rarely does it ever work out.

they will most likely fire his ass if they think he's not a good enough teacher. and him being new, he won't be a good teacher. and they will more than likely withhold pay or not pay enough to get home/find a new job in time. he'll be fucked.
>>
>>1196842
Your answer was so general as to be unhelpful and basically wrong. You seem to have realised this on some level and fleshed out your point a bit in that follow up post. But you're still basically wrong.

He asked if it's normal, well it is.

I did 2 teaching gigs, including an international school, going in on a tourist visa and it worked out fine both times. The schools aren't looking to waste your time and money for no reason at all, are they? They want teachers. But they are just being low-trust paranoids aiming to maintain maximum leverage for as long as possible, like basically all mainland Chinese.

>RARELY will a school pay for you to go and stay in hong kong for a week
You don't need a week. And they do usually pay flights and accommodation at least if you need to do a visa run to HK or SK or something (which you don't always need to do)
>rarely does it ever work out
Demonstrably untrue

>dipshit
I took the time to explain to the other anon what is happening, you just look like a miserable dummy who is oblivious to nuance and clearly doesn't know as much about the topic as he assumes he does.

>he won't be a good teacher.
You don't know that. And "good" teacher isn't what they care about most anyway. If it's an ESL gig, what they care about most of all is "do the kids like him?"

>they will more than likely withhold pay or
Nah, probably not.

You don't have a fucking clue. You clearly think you do, but you don't.
>>
>>1197075
>You don't need a week. And they do usually pay flights and accommodation at least if you need to do a visa run to HK or SK or something (which you don't always need to do)

Kek, no they don't you fucking moron.

>I did 2 teaching gigs, including an international school, going in on a tourist visa and it worked out fine both times

Maybe your dumbass did this and it was one of those rare occasions where everything actually worked out, but it likely won't be the case for the guy. It doesn't change the fact that it's illegal to do this, and if you are caught working on a tourist before getting a work visa, you'll be punished.

Btw, half the time you can't even get a work visa in HK and you'll have to fly all the way back to your home country to apply for one. 99% of schools will not reimburse you for this.

Again, the guy is likely applying for a shitty training center or a kindergarten. If they find the kids don't like him, which is what happens to a lot of inexperienced teachers in the beginning, the school will fire him faster than he can blink. Then he'll be really stuck in a shitty situation. Stop giving him false info, fucktard.
>>
>>1195658

Bumping my question from a few days ago:
>I'm 26, just got my MA in English Studies but I have no certified teaching qualifications. I'm moving to Thailand next month.
>Can you recommend me a TEFL course in Thailand? I'm searching for a one that will actually help me improve as a teacher.

If I'm paying I want to learn something. Sadly, I heard that the idea behind most courses is to sell you the certificate.
>>
>>1197740
Have you looked at the courses on Ajarn.com? There is one at Chiang Mai University, among others. Check them out.
Thread posts: 268
Thread images: 22

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.