[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is making toys difficult?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 10

File: pepe1600x1982001.jpg (237KB, 1600x1982px) Image search: [Google]
pepe1600x1982001.jpg
237KB, 1600x1982px
Is making toys difficult?
>>
>>6090069
Anything can be a toy if your imagination is strong enough.
>>
>>6090073
but is the task of physically creating them difficult
>>
>>6090069
>>6090077
No, so long as you have talent. Sculpt parts, make molds, cast them, paint them.
>>
>>6090069
It depends on what kind of toy you wanna make. Plastic army men and some wooden toys can be easily created.
>>
>>6090069
Making good toys is.
>>
>>6090077
I meant that you can use pre-existing, non-toy stuff as toys. Office supplies, etc.
>>
>>6090069
Funko shit? Pretty easy once you
Get the practice
Transforming toys? High amount of joints? Now you are in a whole new world
>>
File: sr.jpg (214KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
sr.jpg
214KB, 900x900px
>>6090147
>Office supplies, etc.
This was the ultimate destroyer weapon for my figures.
>>
>>6090164
>Not making a piggy out of erasers and pusphins
nigger get on my fucking level
>>
>>6090069
Well, Jazwares still hasn't figured it out.
>>
>>6090164
That was a snake monster, my dad's pliers was a pterodactyl.
>>
>>6090069
>someone made a toy of the white supremacist mascot
absolutely disgusting
>>
Depends what you mean. If you got the talent to sculpt, making is not a problem, specially for figurines, action figures are more complex though.

Selling, that's the real hurdle.
>>
>>6090526
pepe belongs to all internet denizens
>>
File: skateboard pepe.jpg (40KB, 438x438px) Image search: [Google]
skateboard pepe.jpg
40KB, 438x438px
>>6090526
>white supremacist
but Pepe is green
>>
Depends on what sort of toy you want to make and how many of it you want to make. If you just want the one, then you can just sculpt it and that's that. If you want to make multiple copies or have it be made of plastic, then you've gotta sculpt your design, make molds, and cast them, which isn't difficult, but it's time-consuming and expensive. Articulation will vastly increase the time/money/labor involved.
>>
>>6090069
It is as easy as sculpting.
>>
>>6090069
As a diy project the only material available are urethan resin.
If you want to make action figure with durable materials it's an other level. It's melted platic in metal molds. It must be professionnaly made, the price is high.
There are companies that help you in your project. You send them your model and they re sculpt it and else.
If you have 10 grands to spare you better try that way.
Otherwise you need sculpting clay,silicone, resin, compressor, pressure pot. For around 500-1000$ you are ready to go.

It's not difficult, depends on how your skills are.
Tell us more anon,
>>
>make toys

why make them when you can be lazy and repaint existing toys? Customizing is basically no different than recoloring a Sonic game sprite and claiming it's original!
>>
Like others have said, give us some more info, OP. Also check /customs/ for tips and advice.

So here's some basic questions:

1) What sort of toy is it? (Figure, vehicle, building-toy, foam-dart gun, etc)
2) What specifically is it? (Ex. If a figure, is it a humanoid, an animal, monster, etc)
3) How much articulation do you want?
4) Sculpted-joints (Marvel Legends, Neca, etc), or modular joints (Figma, Revoltech, Figuarts)?
5) Is it from an established franchise or series, or is it an original design?
>>
>>6090222
>That was a snake monster
yess my nigga
>>
Do you faggots even understand that OP is just shitposting?
>>
>>6091691
Just cause of frogposting?
>>
>>6091691
who the fuck cares? We were having a nice thread.
>>
>>6091363
>There are companies that help you in your project
Please elaborate further. I'm genuinely interested.
>>
>>6090526
I prefer the original incarnation of Pepe by the artist. A fun loving frog who likes to pee with his pants down.
>>
File: Laughing Dog.jpg (275KB, 1390x1337px) Image search: [Google]
Laughing Dog.jpg
275KB, 1390x1337px
>>6091481
KEK
>>
File: 1482873974705-1281387530.jpg (2MB, 2576x1932px) Image search: [Google]
1482873974705-1281387530.jpg
2MB, 2576x1932px
Anon, even this thing qualifies as a toy.
>>
It's difficult when you don't have connections in China or tens of millions of dollars to throw around. If you do and still can't manage (like Mattel and Hasbro), you're just a fuckup.
>>
>>6091691
I'm not
>>
>>6090073
stop searching through your mom's drawers.
>>
>>6093000
Something like Shinbone creative
http://www.shinbonecreative.com/how-to-make-toys/

There is an other one that pops up often can't remember.
>>
>>6091817
>pee with his pants down.
almost as bad as people that pull up their shirt to pee.
>>
File: M&M's.jpg (388KB, 674x899px) Image search: [Google]
M&M's.jpg
388KB, 674x899px
>>6095412
This site is really useful. Thanks.
>>
>all these shit posts

I guess it can be expected from the ambiguous OP

from a manufacturing perspective, making toys is not difficult but the main issue is profitability. Just look at mainstream toy companies and what they produce for what the price and then think about the scale of production. Then compare indie sculptors/"toy" makers like the sofubi/art toy scene and look at the prices. When you make something small scale, your price per unit will be very high
>>
File: Why is Wojak naked.jpg (111KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Why is Wojak naked.jpg
111KB, 1920x1080px
>>
>>6098472
check
http://store.unboxindustries.info/
and
http://www.monsterworship.com/

they are toy producers too
>>
>>6090083
What are cheap materials to sculpt the parts? How about mold making?

I wanted to buy polymer clay, there was a bunch of "air drying clay" that was cheaper than FIMO and bought that instead and i guess i literally got clay that air dries. It's full of pores and it's extremely difficult to work with, it's either too soft or too crumbly and it's complete shit.
>>
>>6102410
I need to make a million dollars so I can buy shit like this
>>
>>6107285
oh fuck
>>
>>6094286
That was the worst attempt at making an obvious joke I have ever seen
>>>/b/
>>
>>6107282
Fimo is one of the cheapest polymer clays you can get.
Paint is also somewhat cheap, so making one figure is no problem.
Molding and casting, however, is much pricier.
>>
>>6107282
Any polymer clay that harden after baking. Fimo, sculpey, cernit. They are more or less the same price. What is important is to have something firm to work with.
Many uses Sculpey.
Silicone is around 40€ and resin around 20.
Now take a look at this shit
https://youtu.be/7fwytA5r2Mw
>>
File: téléchargement (9).jpg (9KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
téléchargement (9).jpg
9KB, 275x183px
>>6107977
It's tempting to use those silicone caulk, they can be dirt cheap but if you want details forget that method. And it is not easy to use.
You can also use plastiline. It's a modeling clay that never harden. You make your master sculpt then pour silicone on it. Then you cut your mold in half and remove the clay. This will destroy your master sculpt.
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.