[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 400
Thread images: 33

File: bite_by_michalivan-d56yjl7.jpg (441KB, 634x1000px) Image search: [Google]
bite_by_michalivan-d56yjl7.jpg
441KB, 634x1000px
D&D 5th Ed. General Discussion Thread

>Unearthed Arcana: Eladrin and Gith
https://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-Eladrin-Gith.pdf

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Alternate Trove:
https://dnd.rem.uz/5e%20D%26D%20Books/

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previous thread:
>>55389616

Have you ever played a barb that fights in nothing but woad?
>>
>>55395039
No, although my current Soul Knife was nude when he encountered the party, and would have stayed such except he was asked to wear pants.
>>
I once played a barbarian named Tool.

He got killed by Orcus once.
>>
>>55395057
>But D&D commoners do have metal coins, unlike the real world commoners at the equivalent time period.

That has more to do with the the lack of a default assumption regarding land ownership, 5e seems to assume peasant ownership of property, rather than being used for labor and paid in room/board.
>>
>>55395078
Yup. Just "ok, he lands on you and you're both prone."

Between his memeing, the other player's crappy character (but great roleplay), and the fact that I'm running another game and doing a better job in my personal opinion, I'm considering leaving.

But it was the first session, so I'll wait and see.
>>
>>55395092
it also assumes coinage and trade are the most important economic aspects in that community.

A far northern or outright arctic settlement would value firewood more than gold.
>>
>>55395092
According to the PhB commoners don't use coins often if at all, see >>55395015
>>
any way to do non metal heavy armors for druid?
>>
Asking again from a couple of threads ago because I missed the responses
>Playing a Trickery cleric in a campaign
>Do shit for damage
>Feel useless in combat but am great out of combat
Would it be better for me to just hit myself with sanctuary and use the help action to grant the party barb advantage?

In response to the people in the other thread
>Take x feat
No feats allowed
>Multiclass x
No multi-class allowed
>Use spiritual weapon
I am only level 4 and would rather have my second level spell slots available for pass without trace if possible. Though I have used spiritual weapon during particularly difficult fights.
>>
>>55395127
If I was given gold in a far arctic settlement I'd dip the fuck out immediately.
>>
>>55395150
Ironwood?
>>
>>55395145
Right, i just meant that the only reason coin is traded at all among the lower classes is that they seem to own land.

Peasants in 5e are essentially middle class.
>>
>>55395150
Dragon bone, but good luck with that.
>>
>>55395152
>No feats allowed
Leave the table.
>>
>>55395150
Aurumvorax hide.
>>
>>55395152
I'm probably being retarded and some other anon will probably point this out, but I'd look at what god you worship and do whatever pisses it off the most. Lose your cleric status by making the god enraged beyond all belief. If I'm not mistake, most DMs will let you trade out your cleric levels for fighter levels.

Boom. You're now a fighter.
Sure, you can't heal, but you TECHNICALLY are able to do damage now.
>>
>>55395150
Ankheg Plate, pay homage to a classic.
>>
>>55395039
ToA leak album
https://imgur.com/a/iglMj
>>
>>55395201
>If I'm not mistake, most DMs will let you trade out your cleric levels for fighter levels.
Lolwat

>You went against your character, alignment, and god, so here, have a lifetime worth of training!
>>
>>55395196
Bulette plates.
>>
>>55395152
> Trickery cleric
It's not your fucking job to deal damage. Buff, debuff, create opportunities for the damage-oriented characters.
>>
>>55395157
depends on the settlement.

in my setting there is a small port on the northern-most continent (total arctic funland) where the main export of the village is treasure gathered by adventurers who return from the ruins of an ancient civilization in that land.
All firewood must be brought over by ship.

It's just that the natives in the port mostly pay each other in wood. Like the owner of the docks would pay his dock workers in firewood.
>>
>>55395191
I am playing with a bunch of teenagers who have never played pen and paper games. DM is using it as an introductory game for a couple of people new to pen and paper games so he is keeping it as simple as he can

>>55395201
I am not really looking for ways to do more damage. I am asking if its more mechanically viable to use the help action on the half-orc barb than to shoot people for 1d6+3 with a bow.

>>55395242
>create opportunities for the damage-oriented characters
Which is why I am asking if a better use of my non-spellcasting action is to use the help action to provide advantage to a teammate
>>
>>55395255
Yes the Help Action is a better use of your time.

What is the cleric's AC?
>>
>>55395255
>I am asking if its more mechanically viable to use the help action on the half-orc barb than to shoot people for 1d6+3 with a bow.
Depends on how often your barb is missing. If they were going to hit regardless then you just missed out on 1d6+3 damage, but if they're missing 70% of the time it might be worth it to give advantage.
>>
>>55395273
15 right now since I am wearing a chain shirt. I was thinking about casting sanctuary on myself before jumping in with the help action.

>>55395283
He hits probably 3/4 of the time but he is using reckless attack. If I use the help action it would let him get the same benefit without granting the opponents advantage.
>>
>>55395329
Yeah Sanctuary -> Help is probably best in that scenario. Losing a little bit of potential damage but it will help your barb stay alive longer so it seems worth.
>>
To those that have it, what's your verdict of ToA?
>>
>>55395092

It ain't even true though. First, serfdom wasn't practiced uniformly across Europe or the time period. Even if it's true that some peasants never had money, that doesn't mean no peasants anywhere had it.

Second, just because they didn't usually pay taxes in the form of money, they still had money, usually earned by taking extra goods to market and selling to other peasants.

Third, "peasant" includes freemen, villeins, and burghers. Especially since they most likely are hanging out in towns anyway, they are most likely interacting with burghers with do in fact pay their taxes with coins. And if a villein had enough money, he could buy his freedom.
>>
>>55395127
>I'd like to buy a sword. Here's ten wheelbarrows of wood.
Do you actually believe this?
>>
>>55395391
It's really fucking fun

There's a fuck load of content and most of it is solid. The parts that are lacking are mostly lacking imo because I feel a lot of players wont even encounter them.
>>
>>55395413
>an arctic settlement wasting valuable fuel on smithing
Do you actually believe this?

the arctic villagers would be the ones trading for the swords, not selling them anon
>>
>>55395201
Clerics are literally The Chosen One of their god. I don't think it works that way.
>>
>>55395255
In all honesty, I'd let your Barb do his thing and spend your actions on cantrips. Which ones do you have? Does your DM allow UA: Starter Spells?
>>
>>55395432
That sounds pretty fucking nice.
Could you please touch more on the areas lacking?
>>
File: file.png (2MB, 956x1532px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
2MB, 956x1532px
Quick, my party is on the hunt for a Green Dragon in a huge sink hole that has kobold minions that worship it. Standard fare here.

I want to make the kobold boss beyond one of the kobold stat blocks. Which humanoid stat block should I give the guy? The party is 6 level 7's, so it'll likely be a fuck ton of kobold grunts and then this guy to surprise the fuck out of them. The dragon is called Artemis so he calls himself the Aspect of Artemis.
>>
>>55395466
It is mostly some of the subplots that I don't wanna go into too much detail with here in case people are playing. Basically, the map is fucking huge. Like, pretty damn big with so much to explore. That is the adventure's greatest strength and weakness. Many of the cool subplots going on are so far from main plot area that I'm unsure how many players will actually venture that far and run into it all.

Perhaps that stuff is there for if the players get lost hexcrawling through Chult.
>>
>>55395434
Even if that's true, there's a lot more shit that's more valuable than wood. Like crafted good. Anyone can chop trees and pick of sticks.

Nonetheless. Wood is a shitty currency. The entire point of money is that you don't have to carry your trade goods everywhere. You're actually a fucking retard if you believe this "no money in the middle ages" meme.
>>
>>55395468
Unless you really play up traps and terrain, those kobolds will be almost entirely non-threatening. I'd recommend using a stronger stat block across the board, but since that isn't what you asked.

Looking through 5etools, Neronvain looks interesting, and comes pre-themed.
>>
Should the Abbot die?
>>
Does anybody make "horde" statblocks? For say, if the players are running into like 15 goblins or some shit, you may have 4 of them as a large creature so you dont have to keep track of so many minis or initiative counts?
>>
>>55395503
>Anyone can chop trees and pick of sticks
Which would make it very appropriate as a common trade good
>no money in the middle ages
We're talking about valuable materials in an arctic setting, moron
>>
>>55395464
Phb only so sacred flame is the only damaging cantrip available. Rather than do 1d8 no modifier I decided just to use a shortbow. So my cantrips are: Thaumaturgy, Spare the dying, Mending, and guidance.
>>
>>55395522
What do you think swarms are?
>>
How would you make a +1 Armor worn by a Cloud Giant more interesting and storied?
>>
>>55395484
Oh cool and thanks heaps for your info! Also definitely understanable, it seems DMs and players alike need to be pushed to explore everything but that probably isn't realistic given the timeframed restriction. I'm really eager to purchase a copy.

How would you rate it with the other adventures?
>>
>>55395526
Ditch that shortbow for a light crossbow.
>>
>>55395329
>>55395376
>sanctuary and help action
I'm not sure how the DM would rule that, on one hand I don't see why not, but on the other how are you helping the barbarian if you are unable to attack?

Basically it comes down to how the DM rules on "being a threat in an adjacent space".
>>
>>55395550
>how are you helping the barbarian if you are unable to attack?
You don't attack when you use the help action anyway, so I don't see any problem with this. Helping with an attack is more about feinting, distracting, and otherwise creating openings for the person you're helping. You don't have to attack to help with an attack.
>>
>>55395541
Can do. Anything else?

>>55395550
Distracting them mostly. The opponent wont know I cant attack them so I can make intentional lunges and feints with a weapon that are not actual attacks. Doing this at the right time to let my barb buddy hit without having to worry about them dodging.
>>
>>55395535
It is partially held together by the very cloudstuff their cities were built upon. The material mimics the local weather, in pattern, and a keen eye can learn to predict harsh storms.
>>
>>55395503
who said the middle ages?

and who said a longsword would be that expensive? even one wheelbarrow of wood would be worth more than that sword.

we're talking about a high demand trade good in a place that naturally has no supply.
Of course it's cumbersome, it's firewood, but the wood's value exceeds the cumbersome aspects.
>>
Posted in the old thread by accident so posting here.

I didn't want to make a new thread to ask a few simple questions so I'm gonna ask here.

Around 10 years ago when I was 14-15 I got into playing 3.5e D&D with my uncle who would DM and his friends who had been playing for a long time and showed me the ropes. Eventually though we all moved apart and stopped playing. I was recently talking to my uncle about those times and all those fond memories, unfortunately my uncle isn't really interested in getting back into it anymore. However, I'm very interested in getting back into it, but I only have a fes IRL friends and none of them are into it.

I just found out about FantasyGrounds, and I'm wondering, Is there potential out there to actually find a decent DM and a group of people to play with who will actually stick with it for a while and make the investmeng worth it? Is this board a good place to find people to play with, or is there another place that I could find a group? I know that it will never be quite as good as actually having a real life group, but is there potential with FG to actually have a legitimate D&D experience? Is it worth paying for that possibility? I'm really excited about the potential because I've always felt that videogames could never match the tabletop experience, I just don't want to get excited and spend money on a cheap laptop/headset + the cost of FG (300 dollars for the complete set?!) and then get burned when I can't find any decent groups to play with.
>>
>>55395537
Uh, so far at least:

CoS > ToA > LMoP > OotA > SKT >= PotA > ToD

I'll be fair though, the only adventures I didn't enjoy were HotDQ and RoT. Everything else I've liked from passively to hyper engaged. Never more happy playing CoS though.
>>
>>55395573
>>55395564
makes sense.

Alternatively, does the barbarian in the party by any chance have the wolf totem ability that grants advantage?
if not you should try to flank a target to get advantage on your attacks while giving advantage to the barbarian.
>>
>>55395615
>if not you should try to flank a target to get advantage on your attacks while giving advantage to the barbarian.
Flanking is a variant rule, and that anon can't even use feats.

Frankly, it also busts math and basically makes some features far less valuable. I like it in small group games, 3 people generally, but anything more and it does more harm than good.
>>
>>55395468
There's a kobold champion thing in volo's iirc, maybe give that a look
>>
>>55395604
>I'll be fair though, the only adventures I didn't enjoy were HotDQ and RoT.
How terrible were they? I was slowly making my way through a HotDQ play-by-post that died and the DM kept alternating between referring to the Greenest invaders alternatively as merc companies or cultists and it kind of ended on this weird sidequest that required the party to check on a gate in some tunnel but not just check, literally OPEN IT and risk revealing its location to passing invaders in the process...
So it was a weird thing.
>>
>>55395150
Bulette hide. Go talk to some dwarves.
>>
>>55395150
The druid'd have to burn a feat to wear em though.
>>
>>55395651
They're just, I don't know. They're far too linear for my taste and I wasn't a fan of the storyline in general. This is coming from a guy who gets his jollies off of Tiamat too.
>>
I am a Ranger with 16 DEX, but i've ended up being the party tank (Land Druid, Arcane Trickster, Open Hand Monk, Lore Bard)

How good or bad of an idea is it to take Medium Armour Master? I'd end up with 18 AC while wearing Half-Plate with no stealth disadvantage.
>>
>>55395615
The barb is bear totem and flanking is an optional rule that we are not using like >>55395629 says.

>>55395550
Also forgot to mention that the last time I used the help action I fluffed it as I kept making grabs for the pouches on the enemies belt as if to steal from them.

The party composition is Trickery cleric (me), Evocation wizard, Bear totem barb, and a goo warlock. We might be getting a rogue in a week or two.
>>
>>55395637
Not a bad idea, but I ended up going with the Mage stat block and will likely flavor up all his spells as different kinds of poison damage.
>>
>>55395651
HotDQ & RoT were literally written before the rules of the game were finalized, so there's a lot of stuff in them that simply aren't by the rules at all. Also they're pretty on the rails, to a ridiculous degree. There's a large section wherein the adventure assumes you spend months on the road in disguise as a caravan guard. If your party tries to do anything else other than that, the adventure falls apart.
>>
The Zendikar Vampire and Revenant sub-race are the only WotC-released ways to have an undead PC, right? Nothing like Pathfinder's Dhampir or 4e's Vryloka?
>>
>>55395677
say you painted it to be camo and you're super rangery.

just don't forget your cloak.
>>
>>55395604
Out of curiosity, what didn't you like about SKT
>>
>>55395484
One of the quests players can get is drawing out a map of Chult. Included with the book is a blank map. Maybe motivating your players with a quest like that could get them exploring the far reaches of Chult
>>
>>55395678
>barb goes bear totem
>this character is worth keeping alive
you are a tricky one
>>
>>55395468
There's a Kobold Dragonshield, a Kobold Scale Sorcerer and a Kobold Inventor in Volo's.
Otherwise, the DMG presents guidelines for tweaking NPC stat blocks to better fit other races and one's for Kobolds... So you could just take a Veteran or Bandit Captain's statblock and lower the strength, raise the dex, add the pack tactics and sunlight sensitivity and call it a day.
>>
>>55395704
>Cloaks
Nah, maybe a poncho to keep the rain off
>>
>>55395667
Oof. Guess I dodged a bullet there.

>>55395701
Oh lordy that sounds dreary.
>>
Is there a pdf of ToA floating around yet?
>>
>>55395779
No, stop asking.
>>
>>55395779
Not yet. A guy may post a fake one down the line - it's some shitty furry homebrew stuff in the pdf
>>
>>55395719
>Not keeping the big scary meat wall alive so you can hide behind it
Besides I am the only other one that isn't in light armor or less.

He is also useful because my character is a cocky little manlet who picks fights he cant win and goes running for help.
>>
>>55395651
Hoard has IMO one of the worst intro scenes ever conceived. The book gives you a few optional very thin reasons to want to go to town and the fact that the authors assumed everyone would want to run into town with a dragon flying above it is asinine.
>>
>>55395702
The only official ones. You can easily refluff some others as a form of undead, like the Fallen Aasimar.
>>
>>55395701
LMoP was written before the rules were finished too, but it at least has the benefit of mostly being about goblins, orcs, and bugbears so it's not fudged up. Interestingly if you compared LMoP loot to 3.5e Wealth by Level (including the plethora of magic items in the adventure) it fits perfectly.

It's pretty clear since they didn't have the 5e rules they used the 3.5e ones for treasure and encounter balancing. That said I've run LMoP for two groups and it's 100% salvagable if you just rebalance some of the encounters to be better in line with 5e's standards (and your own players' skill of course).
>>
>>55395514
Well he is an angel so no
>>
>>55395804
Jesus Christ I remember that. I dont care if there is gold and experience pouring from the gates my level 1 rogue would never step anywhere near that deathtrap.
>>
>>55395604
Thanks dude.

>>55395701
But those adventures being railroady has nothing to do with the rules though right? That's just the adventure writers having no idea what they're doing. And this is coming from someone who likes Tiamat as statted.
>>
>>55395829
Them being railroady is shit design on the writers part.
>>
File: 1488851008640.png (267KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1488851008640.png
267KB, 500x375px
>>55395468
I recommend trying the Tucker's Kobolds route and littering the place with traps/hindrances that make these low-level kobolds into total nuisances for your players without having to make them comically swole when it comes to fighting. The Kobolds' strengths have never been singular, champion-esque strong fighters, it has always been their cunning and numerical advantages. Instead of one leader of the tribe, perhaps there are three or more that are a group boss fight with low HP and AC but constantly darting in and out of cover, utilizing traps and being a difficult battle without resorting to a head-to-head fight.
>>
File: Langdedrosa.jpg (55KB, 651x729px) Image search: [Google]
Langdedrosa.jpg
55KB, 651x729px
>>55395804

>you're in the village and this guy demands you 1v1 him
>>
>>55395878
We didn't even make it that far in the one game we played
>>
>>55395221
it's a legacy rule.

Clerics were, in ye olden editions, considered to be similar to knights templar. this is why they have armor training and the like. So a cleric without holy abilities was basically just a fighter, albeit who did not get any of the fighter specific bonuses, like weapon specialization that let you attack a huge number of times, or the free army if you built a stronghold at 9th.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (267KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
267KB, 1920x1080px
>>55395878
Draw.
>>
>>55395892
>or the free army if you built a stronghold at 9th
do want
>>
>>55395878
And what does that entail? I was playing the Paladin so that probably would've meant my character would've gone first.
>>
>>55395744
The Poncho of Halfling Kind requires attunement.
>>
File: 1452973404068.jpg (94KB, 601x508px) Image search: [Google]
1452973404068.jpg
94KB, 601x508px
>>55395942
Jokes on you, I don't have any magic item anyway
>>
>>55395829
Yes, the rules are a different issue. But the two of them together make for a very poor adventure.
>>
>>55395794
>NEEDing to keep the big scary meat wall alive

he had d12 HD, presumably a huge con score, resistance to all damage but psychic, and shield proficiency if that somehow is not enough. Given you have a warlock if he wanted to make that tradeout for higher AC it wouldn't be a huge loss you've still got plenty of DPS.

He should be more or less fine. Is there some reason he's not generally self-sufficient outside of the occasional patch job?

>>55395702
aetherborn can also be vampiric.
>>
File: 1478573695679.png (1MB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1478573695679.png
1MB, 1024x768px
How do I build Bugbearmont?
>>
>>55396015
>Bugbear
>Paladin
>Whips
>>
>>55396023
I thought it was supposed to be Assassin Rogue/Battlemaster Fighter.
>>
A lot of anons here kind of sperg out when someone mentions running a gestalt game, but what about a game that was at a higher power level, but a bit more restricted than gestalt? What I was thinking was that you would be able to multiclass into two classes (and no more than that), and any features of a class that scaled with your levels in that class would instead scale with your total character level - for example, if you were a Sorcerer 3/Paladin 2 would have 5 sorcery points, and if you were a Rogue 1/Fighter 4, your sneak attack damage would be 3d6 (character level 5), but you would not have extra attack yet because you would need 5 fighter levels first.

Thoughts?
>>
>>55396042
>not being a Treacherybearmont
>>
>>55395901
Right? Like I understand one of the biggest things in the 2e->3e transition was to stray away from social rewards and drawbacks as mechanical parts of characters, but that is just so cool, and really helps give fighters a way to be useful once the wizard is controlling entire battlefields: supplying the army that fights on those battlefields.
Plus it gives them manpower and political power, both useful for OoC utility. King won't sign peace treaty with his longtime enemy out of stubborn pride and grudge? Threaten to join the other side if he doesn't man up and get over it. Need to scout an area? Send your scouts, it's in the name. Need a message delivered? You've got people for that.

So want.
>>
>>55395804
>>55395701
Who the fuck thought this was a good idea?
>>
>>55396058
I've done a gestalt game as a one shot. It was meant to be all fucked up, high speed, and super powered. They were literally killing Satan from the bible who had 800 HP by the end of it.
I wouldn't be able to handle it as a normal campaign.
>>
>>55396042
Neither of them gets any inherent benefit from the whip, while Paladin becomes a real, viable "ranged" option.

Any paladin player worth their salt should carry one anyway.
>>
File: wtf.gif (1MB, 320x289px) Image search: [Google]
wtf.gif
1MB, 320x289px
>>55395970
>be adventurer
>not have magic items
>mfw
>>
>>55396080
I really would like to play in a gestalt game, but I don't think I'm a good enough DM to run one. That's why I'm floating around this high-power-but-not-as-crazy-as-gestalt idea
>>
>>55396060
That's genius.

Would you recommend picking up 3 in Rogue for guaranteed stealth crits?
>>
>>55396079
No idea
>>
>>55396103
I think it only becomes worth doing when you're past 9 for Haste as your third attack. If you're in the realm of UA multiclass OPness you can go Hexblade at level 2 for CHA to hit/damage, and try for 20 Cha for a ridiculous Aura of Protection.
It's not a realistic option for most games unless you're way late game. Assassin is a super late game option for Paladins in general if you want to one shot the BBEG instead of fighting him.
>>
>>55396079
it was outsourced. The main team was working on core so they handed it to Kobold Press.

as for who thought THAT was a good idea, I have no idea.
>>
>>55395581

>stat rolls can grant feats

this is one of the reasons why i like rolling stats, especially when your class is very MAD. if you roll well you can actually invest into neat and less powerful feats without feeling like you're sacrificing power.
>>
>>55396079
According to the book, Wolfgang Baur, Steve Winter & Miranda Horner at Kobold Press. Remember that until CoS WoTC has outsourced all of the writing, designing, & editing for its 'official' adventures to third-party publishers; Kobold Press, Green Ronin Publishing, & Sasquatch Game Studios
>>
File: 1453233933882.jpg (328KB, 1000x538px) Image search: [Google]
1453233933882.jpg
328KB, 1000x538px
>>55396098
>Low magic setting
>Only martial in a party of full casters
>Go the entire campaign without acquiring a single magic item
>>
>>55396174
>low magic setting
>party full of casters
does not compute
>>
>>55396174
at least you aren't COMPLETELY fucked, unlike if you were playing 3.5
>>
>>55396182
Sorry, I meant to write
>"Low Magic" setting
>>
>>55396191
Your DM is a caster supremacist cunt
>>
>>55396160
>>55396150
>>55396140
Just think Kobold Press could've killed off 5e from the outset. Why are they considered a good studio again?

There's been issues with all of the outsourced adventures (and with the inhouse ones but no adventure is completely perfect), but at least OotA and PotA are actually good and fun.
>>
>>55395581

>stat rolls can grant feats

this is one of the reasons why i like rolling stats, especially when your class is very MAD. if you roll well you can actually invest into neat and less powerful feats without feeling like you're sacrificing power.
>>
New to DM, one question :

How often do you actually roll to see if your PCs do the thing? I've been more or less flexible with it, depending on what they say, how they RP, or how clever their ideas are.

Is that a bad idea? Combat stays true to rolls (unless I feel like they're completely fucked)
>>
What pitfalls should I avoid when offering my players a hireling?
>>
>>55396281
What do you mean? Like rolling to contest their roll instead of setting a flat DC?
>>
>>55396281
>How often do you actually roll to see if your PCs do the thing?
whenever there is a chance of failure
>>
>>55396300

make sure the hireling doesn't outshine the players; never have the hireling lead the way; the hireling asks the more-importants what should be done; give the hireling high moments to sell the players on his usefulness, but never let him steal the show; the hireling shouldn't last for more than a session or two
>>
>>55396281
It's the DM's discretion as to when the players should roll.

Any time there's a noticeable possibility of failure, or if failure could itself be an entertaining prospect, go with a roll.
>>
>>55396320
>the hireling shouldn't last for more than a session or two
Everything in this post is good advice except for this bit. The hireling can last indefinitely as long as the party keeps paying them, protecting them, or otherwise convinces them to stay.
>>
>>55396300
Don't let hirelings become full blown adventurers themselves. Hirelings aren't the PCs friends, they're not real party members. They're in it for themselves, and if the PCs treat them badly or don't pay them or etc., they'll leave (or even turn against the PCs). There's a chapter in the DMG that covers this more fully, but that's the gist of it.

One tip I'll say is to limit what sort of utility that offer out of combat, you still want your PCs to be the stars of the show, and in combat you want hirelings to have very quick and simple turns. If they're spellcasters they don't use any sort of complicated magic, they just blow shit up or etc.
>>
What character class/build best allows for a character who likes to use battlefield engineering and traps to kill enemies? They can use actual, mechanical traps, spells or a combination of the above, but I really want a character who deals with problems by baiting enemies into areas he's set up.
>>
>>55396320
Would a hireling with class levels be out of the question?

They've been asking about potentially hiring someone for a couple of sessions and I was thinking about tossing a level 3 Sorcerer on their path (They're level 7)
>>
>>55396336

i'm iffy on this. i think it's perfectly fine to have a long-term hireling but i think you'll run into some of the other problems if you let him into every session (essentially you're running a DMPC indefinitely). It certainly can be done, it's just riskier.
>>
>>55396341
Arcane Trickster maybe? Set up traps at range and shit?
>>
File: 1453457345243.jpg (34KB, 342x298px) Image search: [Google]
1453457345243.jpg
34KB, 342x298px
>Party of criminals and dangerous mages
>My PC spots some local guards approaching him in the markets
>"They're heading directly for ME, right?"
>"Yes"
>"I'm gonna go and say hi to them"
>DM visibly surprised
>Roll 19-1 on Charisma
>Hit it off perfectly with guards, assure them i'm not going to shank anyone and my weapon is just for protection
>End up just chatting idly about current events, roll 16, 17, and 18
>I'm now friends with the cops
I don't know if this is a good thing or not
>>
>>55396348
>Would a hireling with class levels be out of the question?
No, but you should probably limit them to half the level of the party, and probably no higher than level 5.
>>
>>55396348

Yeah, all the characters I've run that occasionally traveled with / helped my party were fully-fledged characters in their own right. GIve them an interesting niche (if he's a fighter, maybe he only wields spears; if he's a wizard, maybe he specializes in Transmutation). Try to give them relatively more utility and relatively less damage: an evocation sorcerer would probably steal the show in the eyes of the players if he got off a really big Fireball, whereas a sorcerer who focuses on maintaining buffs on the party can be more useful AND make the party feel like they're the badasses.
>>
>>55396348
It's up to you. I'd stay away from casters or make them significantly more expensive because parties tend to use them as 'buff bots' and so forth. Also definitely keep them much lower level than the party to prevent DMPCing.

Lastly, if you really want to disuade them from using hirelings or make it clear it isn't something they should do often, make them sign a contract with a hireling that is affluent in a 'if you fuck us, we fuck you' guild. The contract wil lstate that a portion of the loot belongs to the hireling. If you really want to be a dick, make the contract magically binding or ultra complicated with 'fine print' like 'hireling gets first pick at the loot' or some shit.

If they kill the hireling hoping to get out of payment, have the Chad guild send goons to royally fuck them up.
>>
>>55396174
>Go the entire campaign without acquiring a single magic item
along with >>55396064 , this is something I've been wanting Fighters to be able to do for a long time. If a class requires an item to run, it should be capable of reliably acquiring or creating said item. If you're a trained warrior, you should 1. know a fine arms dealer 2. be capable of proper maintenance on said arms.
Starfinder fixes this by having one of its kinds of fighters be able to make normal weapons effectively magical by drawing runes on them. Fits mythology, plenty of warrior heroes used such runes, and it solves the problem. Not permanent or and only does weapons, so not replacing the wizard. Seems perfectly fine, and it's something that were runes to exist, I can't imagine a single veteran soldier not knowing this very useful trick. Like making sticky bombs out of grease-covered socks full of composition B.
>"listen son, now if you ever run into a Troll, you can make your sword catch fire by drawing this insignia on it with some chalk or charcoal. Doesn't last long so you'll want to do this while preparing, it's also not great for the lifespan of the sword, but when you need fire you need fire."

For that matter, just basic crafting and alchemical knowledge would probably suffice, rather than runes, just pour alchemist fire on it or whatever. You would just need an alchemist fire-covered sword to count as a magical weapon.

It doesn't fully matter how you fluff it, regardless, no well-trained soldier is gonna leave bootcamp without a basic idea on how to handle such situations, which then implies they should have a class feature that enables them to do so.

>>55396182
perhaps they are very exceptional people. Are they the setting's Avengers equivalent?
>>
>>55396348
Just use NPCs from the MM or Volos for hirelings. Remember to charge a lot for dangerous or specialized stuff and also remember that they are people too, they won't go somewhere or do something if its suicide
>>
>>55396212
they nearly did I know so many people who thought tyranny of dragons was normal 5e play.

Kobold's only previous work was some of their own stuff and some stuff for pathfinder.
>>
>>55396363
What level of crimanlity are you guys at?
Start doing corrupt shit with the cops, paying them off and being genuinely nice to them so they owe you favors.
You be a criminal and still in the cops' good graces; in fact it makes your work easier. Just ask the mob.
>>
>>55396300
unless they're paying them to fight, they don't fight. Hazard pay.
>>
>>55396341
Ranger has something like that I think maybe?
also artificer?

if it's just the CC you want, wizard.
>>
>>55395590
>>55395523
Both of you fucking morons. I've watched you debate this guy. I hope you fuckers never DM. Your poor players.

So first, the "barter economy" that you guys are jerking off about is a fucking myth. Look it up. Most pre-money societies used "gift economies". There is no society that had an exclusive barter economy. Barter was also only typically recorded between foreign societies.

By the bronze age, the cows and cereals used as "moneys" were replaced by commodity money; usually precious metals.

Here's why it's useful, you fucking niggers. You've got someone rolling into town saying, "Hey let me trade you these shekels for the goods I want, goods I can't get anywhere else (say, whale oil or some shit)"

"But anon" I hear you cucks baying, "they don't want shekels, they want WOOOOOD"

Yeah you cunts, the cool thing about TRADE is that some of those Eskimo shits are going to head south with those shekels to your standard Taiga where villagers there cut down loads and loads of trees and they look at those shekels and say, "Holy shit look at all those shekels. Yeah, I'll load up your whale-bone boat with many trees".

See you guys seem to be under this odd idea that a society that is actively engaged in trade doesn't actually fucking move product.

Besides, who the fuck lives in the Arctic? If they don't look a hell of a lot like Eskimos you are doing it wrong.
>>
>>55396300
Make sure their pay are worth their services (1 GP a day is only slightly more competent than a trained commoner, while 10 GP a day would be someone who has an adventure or three under his belt), but make sure they don't outshine anyone (Not more stealthy than the rogue or more charismatic than the bard). Also, make the pool of potential hirelings reflective of where they are being hired from. A capitol city would have a large and diverse pool of hirelings, while a small farming town might have a few farm hands who are eager to get out into the world with their club or hunting bow at best.
>>
>>55396512
What's it like to be this retarded?
>>
>>55396522
How do you even type, you mongoloid fuck. I can smell your inbred genes from through the goddamn screen.
>>
>>55396554
Ah yes, we now see the autist becoming enraged. Quite the common sight in 5eg.
>>
>>55395604
What is ToA?
>>
>>55396554
>>55396522
Just fuck already.
>>
>>55396558
>Ah yes

I can hear your sleep apnea from here
>>
>>55396561
Tomb of Annihilation. Come out digitally and a certain select store locations last week. Wide general release is next week. Some folks have it already, but no one's scanned it yet.
>>
>>55396561
Tomb Alone, where a beseiged and misunderstood lich is forced to defend his home from belligerent adventurers.
>>
>>55396570
lol, is this really your best way of calling someone fat?
Gonna have to try harder than that pal
>>
>>55396581
Try as hard as you have to try to dig your dick out from underneath your pannus every time you take a piss?

I'll pass.
>>
>>55396592
Nice, two fat jokes in a row. Got anything else? Your act is getting a little stale.
>>
>>55396592
>>55396604
okay but whose dick is bigger?
>>
>>55396433
Damn, that would've been awkward.
Kobold Press clearly don't understand actual game or adventure design, their Tome of Beasts is also apparently pretty shit.
>>
>>55396609
Obviously the other guy's :^)
>>
>>55396604
>>55396592
Can you both just FUCK OFF.
>>
>>55396604
I do, but I try not to engage in battles of wit with the unarmed.
>>
>>55396635
>>>/reddit/
>>
>>55396635
>>55396642
STOP SAMEFAG INSULTING YOURSELF TO SPAM THE THREAD AND LEAVE
>>
File: Buttmangled.jpg (168KB, 900x896px) Image search: [Google]
Buttmangled.jpg
168KB, 900x896px
>This thread
>>
>>55396658
no
>>
>>55396577
Would play in this.
>>
So, CoS seems to be the favored adventure ut of the 5e hardcovers. Is that due to the emphasis on RPing or something else? I'm curious as I've yet to play or read it
>>
>>55396658
>those posts were less than a minute apart
Anon are you ok?
>>
>>55396685
>not phoneposting to dual screens shitpost

what an amateur.
>>
>>55396707
Shit, didn't realize that would work
Thanks for the tip, anon!
>>
>>55396683
There's that, but also because its a very well written adventure. It does a lot of the heavy lifting for the DM, but there's enough open spaces for a DM to add their own flair or totally twist some major parts of the story. Also unlike the others it has a very solid theme to hold it all together.
>>
>>55396683
- It's a self-contained mini-setting that doesn't require knowledge of pre-existing lore
- It's a revamp of a beloved classic adventure
- It's a branching-path adventure that starts linear and then branches out in a very satisfying way so that it is guided but not railroady
- It's full of memorable NPCs, areas, and situations
- It has a lot of really nice maps, even for some smaller areas like the inn in Vallaki, by 5e's go-to cartographer Mike Schley
- It has lots of really nice art and presentation
>>
>>55396512
> "barter economy" that you guys are jerking off about is a fucking myth

While it's true that barter economies are not a predecessor to monetary systems, they definitely can be the a result of a monetary system. Europe during and following the breakup of the Western Roman Empire relied on barter as money was no longer being minted by the empire. However it relied on the established value of Roman Currency as a baseline for the cost associated in bartering. Later, a medieval serf (not necessarily a peasant and this most especially applies before the 14th century) did not have access to very much money at all and so his taxes and tithes were ordinarily paid for in produce, and his intra-village trade was typically through barter, backed by the local currency. The medieval period is, generally speaking, a steady transition from the post-Roman barter economy back into a fully monetary economy in the High Middle Ages.
>>
>>55395604
All of the consistently considered good 5e modules, CoS, ToA, SKT are by Chris Perkins. The man can do no wrong.
>>
>>55396281
>roll to remember to pull your pants down before shitting
>>
Anyone enjoying Yawning Portal?

Favorite modules?
>>
>>55396727
Also as a follow-up, most early economies weren't Gift Economies, though a lot of them were. There was a ton of fun and interesting ways of distributing goods back in the day.
>>
>>55396746
>>55396727
All valid points. Still, the point is that in a setting where there is a generally standard currency (which, D&D seems to actually use a gold standard), the idea that some arctic people capable of trade would not accept the currency because they would "prefer wood" is silly.
>>
>>55396721

I can back this up as the current CoS I'm playing in takes place in the fey wilds and "Strahd" is Oberon.
>>
File: 1454038137035.jpg (104KB, 395x324px) Image search: [Google]
1454038137035.jpg
104KB, 395x324px
Customising my Curse of Strahd to have a bit of a Bloodborne vibe, wish me luck.
>>
>>55396791
Details?
>>
>>55396766
It would depend on how much trade contact they got, and how much power the government that mints it has over them, as well as how far above subsistence level they were.

I'm not gonna lie though, I haven't been paying attention to anything these chucklefucks have been talking about. I just happened to get a chance to use my degree.

Honestly though if they have enough trade already in wood and food they would almost certainly just take money. Gold is a near-universally valued substance in human cultures with access to it. That shit'll spend with anyone eventually.
>>
File: 1451359904957.png (215KB, 620x525px) Image search: [Google]
1451359904957.png
215KB, 620x525px
>>55396836
The party is getting brought to Ravenloft in a carriage that comes to them as a foggy crossroads, the party is travelling there due to a letter they've received informing them that a cure to a disease ravaging their countries can be found there and that the Count has arranged transport for them.
I'd go more indepth, but my players browse /tg/, it'll mostly be small changes, the further they get the less Gothic Horror and more Cosmic Horror things will get.
I'm hoping I can pull it off well, the adventure itself gives a lot of leeway when it comes to setting and themes though, like >>55396782
said.
>>
File: 1392787417298.png (53KB, 1231x681px) Image search: [Google]
1392787417298.png
53KB, 1231x681px
>>55396577
>another rerun
>>
>>55396846
Absolutely, and you could manipulate the amount of economic complexity in the game. In fact, it might be funny to throw cultures that simply do not exchange for Gold, perhaps preferring works of Iron because they do not yet possess forges capable of creating good quality iron.

In general, though, if a society is advanced enough to have established trade routes in a post-money setting, there will almost always be a trade currency of some kind or goods-credit.
>>
>>55396954
Very true. Honestly I'd like to throw a Potlatch at my party just to see how they'd respond.
>>
>>55395878
>filename
For God's sake, can you unimaginative cunts not think outside of the Warcraft naming convention for dragons?
>>
>>55397062
that's its actual name. blame kobold press.
>>
>>55397084
What's next, a blue dragonborn with magic missile breath named Cyanigosa Cobaltscale?
>>
>Playing CoS
>Character is a gnome named Sherlock Gnomes
>Friend plays a tabaxi name Tames Meowarti
>Party proceeds to solve all the mysteries
>>
>>55397155
Do they play as mortal enemies?
>>
>>55395878
You send the NPC out to fight instead, then cheat.
>>
>>55395878
our level 2 or 3 wizard beat him by a hair, but ruined his armor with heat armor.
>>
>still can't find a game
I wish there was a 'good' filter on roll20. Gamefinder threads are absolutely worthless.

Anyways, so how many of you allow exotic races in your game?
>>
>>55397200
Also: Should players ever be allowed to read another player's character sheet beyond the Description section? This usually ruins any secrecy behind a character's background, race, class etc.
>>
>>55397155
>no Watson pun
What is your party even doing
>>
>>55395599
Roll20.net
>>
File: 1504293411560.png (90KB, 482x315px) Image search: [Google]
1504293411560.png
90KB, 482x315px
>>55397155
I agree with >>55397222 you and your friend need to commit seppuku
>>
>>55397237
>>55397222

He made his character first and I just kinda went along with it. If anything everyone else should be blamed for not making a watson pun chaacter
>>
>>55397260

You should get one of them to make a Yuan-ti known as "Doctor Yuanson". Fooll-proof, I tell you!
>>
Anybody played SKT that can answer a question about the first town spoiler free?
>>
>>55396739
I've ran Forge of Fury. Was fun bootyblasting my players with Nightscale
>>
>>55397511
Hopefully, what's up?
>>
I'm tired

Goodnight everyone
>>
>>55397537

I found the deeds to the land in the town, was wondering if they could be used to exploit the zenharium that are trying to take it over.
>>
>>55397511
Try playing the game instead of cheating you cum guzzler
>>
>>55397568
Jeez just wanted a yea or no question answered. At least I'm not reading ahead. Not even cheating really.
>>
>>55397566
You can use anything in trying to exploit anyone, as long as your DM goes with it, I feel. That certainly sounds like a good idea!
>>
>>55397626
Why don't you ask the zhentarim
>>
File: Delimbyr Vale.jpg (509KB, 1050x1401px) Image search: [Google]
Delimbyr Vale.jpg
509KB, 1050x1401px
What adventure is this from?
>>
>>55397697
Cold blooded.

>>55397723
Why don't you play and find out?
Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide
>>
>>55397737
I don't think it is in the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide I just looked through it
>>
>>55397697

Was thinking about just saying "I'm you're boss now" and see what happens.
>>
>>55397791
Beeing Lawful, theyd be apalled by you're gramma.
>>
>>55397771
Well it's definitely a part of the SCAG, it's got water deep and the one thing that gives it away, you know, the sword coast. Or are you asking what module? No idea for that.
>>
>>55397723
Scourge of the Sword Coast
>>55397791
Keep in mind there is no such thing as a "deed" to a town and Nightstone is owned by a noble family. It will go to the Lady of Nightstone's next of kin
>>
>>55397817
If you're going to Nazi at least spell right
>>
Could goblins successfully integrate into society? They're pretty much just green chavs and we let them in for some reason
>>
>>55397537
It's morning in Bongistan, 'night you filthy colonial
>>
>>55397912
Oops wrong colonial, my bad
>>
>>55397835
Hmm, okay, thanks for the new perspective, stuff could be worthless. Think ill find out if any of the town is actually alive before dealing with zhentarim.
>>
File: Goblin knife barbarian.jpg (15KB, 303x350px) Image search: [Google]
Goblin knife barbarian.jpg
15KB, 303x350px
>>55397902
It depends on the setting.
>>
>>55397941
A high-gold halfling dominated setting of supercities fed by continent-spanning canalworks?
>>
File: Flumph Goblin attack.jpg (185KB, 1680x1120px) Image search: [Google]
Flumph Goblin attack.jpg
185KB, 1680x1120px
>>55397953
I was thinking more a "are goblins just born evil?" sort of thing.
>>
>>55398011
Just because you're evil doesn't mean you can't contribute to society.
just look at lawyers.

No, to fit into society, the lawful/chaotic side of things is more important. Can you follow its rules.
>>
When does the ToA get added to the 5eTools?
>>
So uh, I'm going to get in to a Out of the Abyss campaign and we all rolled for stats, and I rolled these stats (there was a second 9 but the DM was nice and let me reroll it);

9/12/14/14/16/16

This is before assigning anything, and also before racials. I was gonna pick a half-elf Hexblade, but is there anything I "absolutely" should do instead?
>>
How damn fun is Tomb of Annihilation?
>>
>player always levels up his sheet at home after the game, no one has ever seen him roll hp. Recently noticed he, a rogue/wizard, has 5 less health than the paladin at level 10, which is only 3 under the maximum its possible for him to have at this level.
>Used to roll into the corner of the dm screen , explicitly where no-one else can see the result of the roll before he picks it up.
>moved him to the middle of the table but now he just rolls under his hand and picks it up real fast.
>"rolls" and unholy fuck tonne of high-teens and 20s, rarely fails at anything.
>gets salty if you ask him to roll in the open. like "oh what you dont trust me".
>>
>>55398690
that is what you get those roll mats and have all player roll in the same place
>>
File: 1453994958573.jpg (92KB, 250x423px) Image search: [Google]
1453994958573.jpg
92KB, 250x423px
>>55396442
Rogue is just a straight up burglar. He hasn't stolen anything in our current city YET, but he will.
Second is a con-man bard who used to be involved in a criminal syndicate until he organized to have them all slaughtered so he could have a fresh break. He also participated in the killing.
Third is a Druid, and druidic magic is outlawed in this city specifically. It's a whole thing.
Fourth is the Monk, who is trying to dig into old monastic tradition stuff that has put a massive target on his back. Like 80% of the monasteries want him dead, and the monasteries have political ties to the rulers of the city.

And then there's me, just a Bounty Hunter looking for his friend who went missing. The only reason i'm even with the party is a couple of them have connections to other third parties who might know where my friend is.

Befriending the cops IS good for me however, as it gives me access to their information networks. I just hope the other players don't do anything bat-shit crazy which will land me in hot water. They will But hey, I also ended up making friends with a local crime boss (haven't actually done anything for him, just talked to him) so i've got my fingers in dozens of pies as it is. Should be interesting to see how this campaign develops.
>>
Starting a new campaign at level 3, I was thinking, of playing an ageing / elderly retired adventurer.

My idea for him thus far is:
> young lad, skill for bruising goes on adventurers to make his fame and fortune (lvl1 fighter)
>throughout his adventures he finds a magic sword and it bestows upon him some cool shiz (lvl2 warlock - going hexblade)
>After a few years he makes his fortune and maybe earns himself a knighthood or other patronage. He settles down with a nice young lady and maybe starts a family / takes up local responsibilities.
>He keeps his trusty sword with him, but doesnt take it up.
OR
>He does occasional adventuring (local bandit troubles, maybe called up by old friends who need a hand)
MUCH LATER
>He is a middle age / elderly dude (cant decide if 40ish or 65ish)
>Wife is either dead or maybe he is just getting restless
>Decides to pick up his old trade, either in search of one last adventure, or maybe if his old lady is dead, a way to bring her back.

I'm after 2 things /tg/, the first some help in solidifying this idea.

secondly, some ideas for the adventures he had in his youth. Crap I can talk about around a fire side at night, or when times are darkest.

Help me /tg/, you are my only help.
>>
>>55398841
Playing a Theurge Wizard
which domain should I go for?
>>
What are cool and interesting UA options for all classes?
>>
>>55398690
>gets salty if you ask him to roll in the open. like "oh what you dont trust me".
"Not really, no"
>>
>>55398864
oh shit, didn't mean to reply to fighteranon.
>>
>>55398928
I was gonna say mate, Ive never played a wiz I couldnt help you.

GL tho
>>
File: 1499819249480.jpg (39KB, 550x450px) Image search: [Google]
1499819249480.jpg
39KB, 550x450px
>starting to get an itch for sitting down and start making a campaign
>would be forced to make multiple maps
>instantly start to lose it
>>
>>55398163
These stats are fantastic for literally anything. You might want to consider builds that are usually difficult to achieve, like a well-rounded paladin, melee ranger, survivable monk, or, indeed, a melee warlock.

>>55397837
Woosh

>>55397902
Do chavs not integrate into society?
Kind of?
Sort of?
In a manner of speaking?
>>
>>55398984
>Start a campaign
>I uh... er don't have a map
>You can draw one yourselves going off my descriptions
>Not only freed from drawing maps, players do it themselves and even enjoy it
>>
>>55397723
Tolkien: The Even More Obvious Rip-Off
>>
>>55398984
Is there an pic of hillary with the "just fuck my shit up" haircut
>>
File: rowen6.jpg (428KB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
rowen6.jpg
428KB, 2448x3264px
>>55399075
No, it's guy fieri's hair and beard, just after she lost the election as mayor of flavortown. But it's fairly interchangable.

>>55399002
I think it might be autism (is it legit autism or just meme autism? don't know, might even be both) but it's a lot harder for me to create for the setting if it's not grounded, if it's just "floating around" it becomes almost too much. so it becomes way harder for me to write and come up with stuff if i don't have a map. but then again whenever i world-build i make sure that "sufficient food production and access to water to sustain that amount of people" (among a large amount of other things) is incorporated, so it might just be autism.

Pic related, i needed a city map for a game and wanted to use Magnimar from pathfinder, but i didn't like any of the actual maps of it, so i copied the outline from it and spent a good amount of hours (i would say around 8-10) recreating it from scratch, only for the group (not my regular group) i was going to be using it for to disband a session before i was going to use it.

Huh, i think i'm autistic.
>>
>>55398991
If I stick with it, I'd do fine in skipping getting my CHA to 20 in favor of a feat, right? Medium Armor Mastery for that delicious extra 1 AC in medium armor, or the Tough feat?
>>
>>55398583
Fun
>>
>>55399335
>whenever i world-build i make sure that "sufficient food production and access to water to sustain that amount of people" (among a large amount of other things) is incorporated, so it might just be autism.
If so, we need more of your brand of autism. Verisimilitude is teh sex.

>>55399425
I have very little experience in either UA or feats. But I do know that 5e's math says you should either raised your attacking stat or your AC before anything else; so if you intend to be a striker/DPR character (which most warlocks are), I'd raise your charisma to 20 first.
However, if you feel that your hexblade is more of a bruiser than a striker (needs to take hits as well as dish them out), Medium Armor Master might be more important (depending on how often you get attacked, and assuming you put one of the 16s in Dex). Tough should definitely be the lowest priority among those, unless you get hit a fucktonne, in which case you should have just been playing a paladin to begin with.
>>
can I use the creation spell to make gems needed to cast another spell if I cast it within the time they exist?
Can I use fabricate to turn smaller diamonds into a larger diamond if I am proficient with jewelers tools?
>>
How do I use the JS code from the resources for roll20 without paying anything?
>>
How do I stat a dagger that can cut though everything? Maybe it ignores AC? But thats way too OP (even if the dagger doesnt deal much damage)
>>
>>55399860
Ignores any and all damage resistances?
>>
If I use wish to cast guards and wards can I choose the duration to be until dispelled like if I had cast it every day for a year without needing to roll if I can ever cast wish again?
>>
>>55399900
Does it replicate another spell? No, it doesn't, because you're adding conditions that aren't in the spell, meaning you suffer the stress.
>>
>>55399762
>Creation
Read the fucking spell.

>Fabricate
There's nothing to indicate you can't, but your DM might disagree. I know i would.
Does size of gems counts as quality of material?

>>55399805
How much any thing are we talking? I guess it might be just another +X weapon, no?
>>
>>55399965
Don't know, really. Was just curious on how to make the interface easier. It's my first time DMing and everyone's first time playing.
>>
Last night we just finished up a 3 session campaign where all UA was allowed. Out of all of the broken ass builds, the Mystic was the absolute worst. Who allows people to actually play mystic?
>>
>>55399860
>>55399897
This.

Ignores damage resistances, cannot be reduced. AC isn't just armor, but a culmination of armor and dodging ability for anybody wearing medium, light, or no armor.
>>
>>55400017
Ideally, DMs who recognize it's playtest material who are eager to provide WOTC with feedback on how to release an unbroken version of it.
Anyone who allows it as a normal character without any limits is doing it wrong.

>>55399860
Keep in mind AC represents both armor and dodging (and other stuff still, like parrying); and that armor protects not just by blocking, but also by deflecting (i.e. altering the attacks angle such that it doesn't cut into the person underneath the armor).
Make the dagger +2 or something, and maybe let it ignore any damage resistance. The real value of this dagger isn't even in battle, but in its utility applications.
>>
>>55397902
>Could goblins successfully integrate into society?
A common mistake for beginners.
>>
>>55399897
I am thinking in making it +3 or +4 and maybe can ignore AC when attacking an oponent whith heavy armour or less than 10 DEX
>>
>>55400130
Both annoying to handle and 5e isn't built for that kind of calculations, there is no more touch AC.
>>
>>55400094
Yeah they dont know the real power of the dagger but they already use it to cut though some resistent as fuck rock ropes
>>
>>55400144
Well, but at least ignoring heavy armour (but not ignoring AC for itself) and +3 must be it
>>
>>55400130
No +4 mod in 5e. And the mechanic you propose is out of sync with the description - it's a blade that cuts anything, not the blade that hits anything. Wearing heavy armor may not let you add your dex bonus to ac, but it doesn't mean that you can't move at all.

>>55400147
> rock ropes
'scuse me what?
>>
>>55400130
>+3 or +4
5e doesn't have any +4 weapons written into the rules, mostly because it would heavily impact the to-hit/AC math. Keep it to +3, and even then, only if your players are of reasonably high levels (11+).
>ignore AC
What do you mean by that? Do you mean hit automatically? Even slow, armored things try to avoid attacks in some fashion.
>>
>>55400167
But how do you ignore heavy armor? Is Remorhaz carapace heavy armor? Even if creature's armor is ignored, how are you going to account for the fact the creature can be swift and elusive and the heavy armor value is taken because it's 1 point ahead? 5e shits itself in such situations because it scrapped those mechanics.
>>
>>55400167
As others have said, high bonuses and ignoring armor create more problems than they solve. The magical property also lets you bypass pretty much all kinds of damage resistance.
But you know what makes sense for a very sharp weapon? Wider crit hit range. It may not be a weapon property in 5e, but it's still in the system. Make it +1/ crit on 19 and 20 if your players are tier 1 or 2, +2/18-20 for tier 3 and +3/17-20 for tier 4.
>>
Any tips and/or advice you could give to running Tomb of Annihilation?
>>
File: tree house.jpg (102KB, 472x497px) Image search: [Google]
tree house.jpg
102KB, 472x497px
Ony tips for running fey themed one-shot?

Any cool fey themed soundtrack?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JuS8V90KCU
>>
>>55400381
Fey are assholes, not deliberately it's just their nature.
>>
>>55400297
My advice would be to make a quick reference document so you can jump around quickly. Maybe scan the pages as a pdf document or something similar.

>>55400381
Whatever plot the fey have, it doesn't make any sense to normal people. But it affects them all the same.
Example: important fey are competing for the Summer Throne, and they gain prestige and standing by signing pacts with the spirits of great forests. Humans could not care less about this, except the fey sign these pacts by spilling blood in the forests, and human blood happens to be convenient to them.
Bonus mindfuck fey points if it's actually in the interests of humans for the position to be filled quickly, because otherwise they would face an eternal winter.
>>
>>55395039
Hello /tg/ I´m new to dungeons and dragons and with some friends I´ll start a group, I´ve decided that I´ll play a Tiefling warlock and I´ve decided for hexblade

I´m asking for some help since I´ve read about multiclassing and i´m unsure how to procead
Post about your warlock pc and things like that are welcomed too
>>
>>55400170
The rock ropes were some magical shit
>>55400178
>>55400178
ok, ignoring heavy armor AC is bad idea. +4 and +5 is not a good idea either.
>>55400273
greater crit? That actually has sence, once it hits since it cuts though anything it will make some mayor damage even for a dagger.
So it will be like this +1 attck 1d4 dmg with crits 19-20 and ignores all resistence and inmunities?
The dagger is part of the sword of a sun god, the damage should be slashing or radiant? maybe slashing and when they actually get to trasform it into a sword make it radiant or slashing with a radiant extra dmg.
>>
>>55400540
>Maybe scan the pages as a pdf document or something similar.
I see whatb you try to do there
>>
>>55400698
Hahahaha you're an edgelord!
Jokes aside, the hexblade is UA (unreleased playtest material) and thus you shouldn't multiclass with it.

>>55400771
Darn, and I thought I was being so clever!
>>
Need help to finish my lv 8 Cleric for the upcoming Out of the Abyss second half champain.

> First pc was a Fighter, killed during the last drow encounter before going back to the surface.
> New pc is an old "divine agent" of Sehanine, seeing in his dreams the upcoming disasters of possible futures dreamt by his goddes, and then proceed to infiltrate whatever group will be responsible of the catastopher and stop them before it happens.
> Retired at sixty years older, has a dream of the surface collapsing in the web of the Abyss and return to action

Mechanically, he is a half elf cleric with Trickster domain, 18 Dex \ 16 Wis, Spy background and a Crossbow. Party is composed by Monk, Rogue, Stealthy Fighter, Wizard, Warlock and Paladin. Everyone but the latter is proficient in Stealth, so Bless of the Trickster could help to either buff the rogue, or help the Paladin. So far I'm satified with the build, but I have two doubts:

- What feats to take at lv 8: Sharpshooter (+ divine strike and winged boots = divine sniper); Luck (to emulate the "sees the future in dreams" things) and Skilled (to improve Perception and Investigation). Or I could get 20 Dex \ 18 Wis insteat.
Sharpshooter means I will pick up far enemies while not healing with Healing word \ Misty step + Cure wounds. Guiding shot is far more stronger, but consumes spell slots.

- And How to get the "Sees the future in his dreams" in the game. I could ask the DM to let me take the Hermit feature instead of the Spy, or try another domain?

Pic related, it's him.
>>
>>55400791
Well I dont like the other patrons there are for fluff reasons, The great old one sounds cool but I dont like the Skills that it gives (sorry if this isn´t how its named Im still learning)
>>
>>55400147
>rock ropes
Did you mean Chains?
>>
>>55400862
>And How to get the "Sees the future in his dreams" in the game
Cast augury or some higher level divination cleric spell, but fluff it so that you do that in your sleep?
>>
>>55400872
But they werent chains. They were like ropes but made from rock
>>
Tg how do you Role-play lots of NPCs at the same time?
Especially if one or more happens to be charismatic
>>
>>55400698
1. It's your first game. Stay inside the lines of the PHB. Don't bother with UA content - not because it's too complicated, but because your DM has all and every right to change anything in it to his liking or ban it altogether.
2. You better not multiclass a UA character. I personally had some players abuse it really badly in the past. Actually - don't hurry to multiclass at all.
3. It's just an opinion, but it's so much better to stick to an idea of a character as a person and not start with race-class as a base for your PC.
>>
Is a 3 level dip into Feylock worth it for an Ancients Paladin?

Tempted because of the thematic sense it makes.
>>
>>55400866
And there's nothing wrong with that - you should just know that it's usually recommended not to allow multiclassing with UA material. Come to think of it, you need permission from your DM to use UA material in the first place. If your DM is new, I would personally advise them to say "no," because UA material sometimes has balance issues they'd have difficulties dealing with.
About the Great Old One - do you not like the spells (dissonant whispers, etc.) it gives, or the features (Awakened Mind, etc.)? Spells are meaningless, because warlocks don't automatically gain their patron spells and usually have better options. If you don't like the features, though, the patron may not be a good option.
>>
Anyone has the latest printing of players handbook? What does it say about resting?
>>
>>55400945
>Tempted because of the thematic sense it makes.
>"I've sworn an oath to protect nature and all that is good and beautiful! Better chain myself to an otherworldly psychopath, it's really the logical next step."
>>
>>55401074
Better than a hippie chaining themself to a tree desu
>>
Has anyone ever played or played with a chaotic evil character who wasn't just a lolsorandumbXD murderhobo?

I was thinking about how it works. Like, you can be chaotic good without just being random. It's just sort of "ignores the laws, might do the less obvious good thing, might be a Robin Hood type" type. But then how does that translate to being evil? Bandits?
>>
>>55401074
It can make sense.
You can make a vow to destroy the creatures of the shadowfel, but you can't make one to serve their opposite?
>Hey man, I heard you fucking hate Acererak.
>I hate him too, he ruins everything!
>You're one of them trust worthy types. Yeah, one of the good ones. Kill him for me and I'll teach you how to shoot grapevines out your ass
>>
>>55401097
Antifa, for example.
>>
Anyone ha e good experiences or stories about using plot points or DM less campaigns?
>>
>>55401097
Social Darwinist, you don't help anyone unless there is something in it for you, anyone that can't protect themselves deserves to die. I played an Orc Warrior who was chaotic evil. His whole thing was that he only respects personal strength, as part of the background he lost a fight to the party Paladin and so was following him around so he could find the source of the Paladin's power.
>>
>>55401040
I´m a sucker for Lovecraft but features are the ones that I dont like, neither I know if they are actually good, the fiend is just ¨"lol ima gonna make you bad in time lol" the archfey Im asking a damm pixie for help that sad, the undying is just "I TURNED MYSELF INTO A LICH MORTY" so I dunno, as for the background I have multiple ideas I just need too choose the final archtypes
>>
>>55401193
>implying antifa isn't lolsorandom murderhobos
>>
>>55400862
Ask your DM to grab the Lucky feat and fluff that luck as the mechanical expression of the small moments of profecy in your dream that lets you thwart fate
>>
File: strong-fallout-4-4.87[1].jpg (16KB, 210x240px) Image search: [Google]
strong-fallout-4-4.87[1].jpg
16KB, 210x240px
>>55401199
Milk of human kindness make human strong! Stronger than super mutant!

Strong find Milk!
DRINK MILK!
>>
Probably a dreadful place to ask this. But does anyone know / have a homebrew for Pennywise the dancing clown (The It monster?).

I know overall it'd most likely be a polymorphed horror / demon of some kind. But I feel my own homebrew ideas aren't exactly set for table use yet, and I want to toss something like this at my players later down the road.
>>
>>55401212
>"I TURNED MYSELF INTO A LICH MORTY"
>asking a damm pixie for help that sad
>"lol ima gonna make you bad in time lol"
Oh boy. You've got a lot of growing up to do.
>>
>>55401097
You don't need to be random, just have absolutely no morals and qualms about what you're doing. You don't have to go out of you way to destroy things, maybe not even consider a randomly met traveller worth killing for his possessions, but if somebody is carrying a lot of treasure, there are no witnesses and no way of tracking it back to you - hell yes, you will kill him, hide the corpse, take his things and feel satisfied afterwards. When met with an obstacle, look for the easiest way out. If "evil" isn't the easiest path, there's no need to go out of your way to torch things down. And if something was to harm you or your friends, nothing will stop you from enacting vengeance.

It's kinda the archetype of player who's beaten the game 15 times, he's replaying it now and taking most efficient path. Kill that guy because he's carrying useful things, don't kill that one because bounty is not worth it, torch the village to skip a quest.
>>
>>55401199
But thats the definition of neutral evil.
>>
Planning on having thematic songs for each character in my Strahd campaign, would having Toccata and Fugue in D Minor as Strahd's theme be too corny? Should I do something from Castlevania or Bloodborne or something instead?
>>
>>55401260
That just sounds like neutral evil to me. How would you split the two?
>>
>>55401193
I always though Antifas are chaotic good. Mind you, that says nothing about their actual contribution to society, but i believe their motives are good.

What about eastern oligarchs who rules ruthlessly their mafia, bribe officials and stuff?
>>
>>55401253
Well yeah, dont get me wrong I want to learn where you think I should get more info?
>LEL LURK FAGGOT
>>
>>55401299
>antifa
>chaotic good

The concept, maybe. The actual organisation? Fuck no. Barely scraping chaotic neutral at best.
>>
>>55401274
I've always felt Neutral evil has at least some consideration for Law. A Neutral Evil character will hesitate to kill someone if legal reprisal is a possibility while a chaotic evil will cut down anybody anywhere without giving a shit. If someone tries to arrest him the Chaotic Evil character will just fight them too. If they aren't strong enough to arrest me than their law is bullshit.
>>
>>55400381
I have run a fey centered campaign whose plot I ripped off the Dresden Files.
It is mostly a series of one shots.

> Party is a group of individuals sentenced to death for crimes they each get to pick on the spot
>The queen of the Winter Court buys up their sentences and offers them freedom for a service
>Her daughter is performing a maniacal ritual with the help of the powers of hell to supplant her and that she can't directly interfere with because Winter can't fuck with itself
>The party goes and uncovers her side of the story as they go deeper in hell
>They defeat her and surrender her to her mother only to realize they did not bargain a passage out of hell and now they must again in debt themselves to mab on order to escape
>>
>>55401289
Probably stances on laws, hierarchy and society. Also I feel like if you were to set NE and CE as criminals, NE would be the planning type while CE the impulsive/opportunist one (assuming the milder side of the spectrum as opposed to serial killer beasts).
>>
>>55401172
1. They feywild is not the opposite of the shadowfell beyond superficial factors like the amount of positive and negative energy. Whatever reason you have to want to destroy creatures of the shadowfell probably extends to many fey as well.
2. There's a very big difference between swearing an oath to an ideal than signing a deal with an untrustworthy individual, or swearing to serve them.
3. Archfey wouldn't bother signing a deal with someone without trying to extract further service beyond what that someone is already doing. I mean, they could, but if they're written well, they wouldn't.

So I guess the scenario is feasible, if the fey is unusually friendly and the person is unusually naive.
>>
>>55401371
A lawful evil character perverts the law and society to serve their own purposes. Using an obscure loophole to get out of a crime, bribing an official, intimidating a witness or destroying evidence are all things a Lawful Evil character would do. They think in lawful terms, the way to get away with a crime is to remove legal avenues to be punished.

A chaotic evil character doesn't give a shit about the law or society or even actively dislikes it, by their nature they think law is stupid bullshit. They don't work within the law because it goes against their philosophy. If someone tries to punish them for a crime they either kill them, ignore them, or escape as necessary. They don't think in lawful terms, legal avenues don't matter and aren't real.

A neutral evil character isn't particularly inclined either way, they do whatever is the most effective or easiest for them in the given situation. Unlike Lawful or Chaotic they don't have any stance on the law or society and are just selfish bastards.
>>
>>55401212
>Fiend
They might try to make you evil, but you can resist. That's part of the fun. It's a heavy RP choice.
>Archfey
They are nothing like pixies. They are alien monstrosities with inscrutable motives. See >>55400540 or >>55401330.
>>55401309
If you want more info, read stories with fey in them. The Dresden Files are good, as is Lords and Ladies by Pratchett and Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke. I'm sure there are others that people could suggest.
For fiends, just read Faust.

>>55401313
"Chaotic" doesn't mean "stupid." A CE character doesn't give a shit about the law, but they give a shit about getting caught and hanged or imprisoned, or getting killed by a cop whilst resisting arrest.
>>
>>55401299
Lawful Evil. He rules, he operates under law - some law at least.

>>55401309
Reading novels or watching movies might help. Maybe reading TVtropes on relevant topics might help, character examples in front of the class stats in PHB at the very least. Put your mind to it - there's a thousand completely different characters under every archetype/subclass. Let's take a Grear Old One warlock, for example. One might be:
1. Shady, but cheerful guy sneakily siphoning power from an entity he doesn't completely understand - without that entities consent. The power flowing through him drives the guy slowly but surely to delusions and ultimately madness.
2. Actual cultist - furiously devoted to the Destroyer of Reality, but having no real idea about Its motivations. He gets visions telling him to do bizarre things, sometimes planting horrible ideas to someone's mind, sometimes rearranging the furniture in his own house.
3. Wizard school student who was failing in his class. Preparing to an exam, sleep deprived, he stumbled upon a few scribbled incantations in a borrowed old book. He aced that exam, and the next, and the next, he graduated top of the class. Now, years later, everyone thinks he's one of the best Enchanter wizards around, what's with his innate telepathy and amazing ability to influence minds. But what's the price he paid? What does he do exactly after his office hours?

You know, be creative, that's what I'm trying to say. Fey are more that pixies - especially Archfey with their millennia-long schemes. Fiends want more than just corrupt you, their obedient (or reluctant) servant. And Undying warlock (step away from UA, telling you again) is not a lich, but a servant of one. Why would an archlich need a mortal servant and why would it bestow all the pros of undeath on one? Ask yourself more questions. Look for answers and inspiration everywhere around. The more thought you put behind your character - the cooler his abilities will feel to you.
>>
>>55395677
if you already have 16 DEX, going medium armor master isn't bad. worse case scenario it's just +1 AC.
>>
What do dragonborn eat? What do their rations look like?
>>
One big issue with distinguishing NE from CE is that a smart CE character would behave just like a NE character.
>don't break the law unnecessarily since it will draw attention
>picking a fight with authorities could result in death, so don't
>etc.
The main difference between them is why they act the way they do and how they feel about it, ie a CE character going with the law for convenience would only do so begrudgingly. These differences are important part of the character, but from a practical or mechanical point of view entirely unnoticeable.

Yet another reason alignments are stupid from a game play perspective.
>>
>>55401553
>>55401495
Them pixies have tzeench fuckery
That´s really cool then thank for the info
I´ll procead to read about this dresden files
The fey appear to be the ones that most resemble the background Im thinking
>>
>>55400915
That's the basic idea, but this way the character is intetionally go for a vision, not the other way around. I was looking for some less "intentional" ways to put in action, or to expand the concept in unique ways. But it seems that it could be done only with Knowledge domain 17 , or multiclassing as a Warlock.

>>55401230
Precisely what I thought (and wrote). It's also more generally applicable than Sharpshooter. And still, I'm an indecisive man :\
>>
>>55401745
There's a reason that apparently the big important drow characters of the past were CE too
>>
>>55401821
You can always get Magic Initiate for Guidance, some other cantrip, and maybe Absorb Elements if you go Druid, or Detect Good and Evil if you go cleric
>>
Does anyone have scanned or PDF ToA yet?
>>
Rolling or pointbuy/standard array?
>>
>>55401495
The fey are all about "two sides for every story" and those sides are always archetypes. Celtic is awesome, but non mandatory. You can be a fey like Maui or the Cacamoa in Moana.

Young vs Old, Winter vs Summer, Pragmatism vs Idealism, Wise vs Smart, Enjoyable vs Profound, Coke vs Pepsi

There's always a conflict that's always metaphorical and it's always about to blow with harsh consequences for the level in which this conflict is relevant
>>
>>55401287
Perkins actually recommends Strahd plays that when players encounter him at his organ. So it seems like a reasonable choice. You want really cheesy, you can change it to Total Eclipse of the Heart.
>>
>>55401934
Whatever your players want.
>>
>>55400943
A good RPer knows to always start with a race and class, as a person's birth and upbringing informs how they view and interact with the world.
>>
>>55401934
Point buy all the way.
>>
ok I'm running lmop and it's my first time as dm and the power of magic users as they level up caught me completely off guard, at this rate they can fucking evaporate literally any powerful thing in one turn

basically this means my only tactic is to focus on them asap but other memebers can just stabilize and heal them, but if i focus on pc's capable of healing my shit will just die

i can't just be like "well now there's TWO dragons!!" because I am afraid that changing the balance even slightly will just result in an unfair TKO

what can I do to make them shit their pants a little?
>>
File: sensible alignments.png (585KB, 442x1253px) Image search: [Google]
sensible alignments.png
585KB, 442x1253px
>>55401097
Just play a social Darwinist.
>>
>>55401287
I actually found casting the villains as musicians helps a lot in my mind

>David Bowie as Strahd
>Tim Curry as the Abbott
>>
What's more fitting for a fighter turned champion of a (recently) murdered goddess of death and knowledge (she kept a library full of the knowledge of everybody who ever died and a giant orb of souls as a sort of community: paladin, cleric, or warlock. If it matters the fighter has pretty much no magical ability or potential so all the power is coming from what's left of the god and he's going from being a mercenary raised to only care about the mission and getting better at getting shit done (high int for building new weapons and devices) to a weapon in her service.
>>
>>55402265
What are you talking about? My party almost died to the dragon, and the flameskull really fucked them up too. How many players do you have, what classes are they?
>>
>>55402363
Paladin. But you're asking a lot of this character, since the only potential dump stats you have would be Wis or one of your martial stats.
>>
>>55401745

CE with low int: "Muh dic."

CE with high int:"Chaos is a ladder."
>>
>>55401934
3d4+4
>>
>>55402416
My lowest stats are cha and str at 13. Ranged fighters care about fewer stats and the archetype means I want high wis.
>>
>>55401097
Most batman villains are chaotic evil and they are the most interesting bit of the franchise.

Ra's AL Ghul
>You hate your father for being weak.
The Joker
>Blow up a bus without telling anyone and they all loose their minds!
And of course Bane
>I'm giving Gotham back to you. The people!
>>
File: elff magus.jpg (173KB, 807x1024px) Image search: [Google]
elff magus.jpg
173KB, 807x1024px
>>55402265
Add more encounters. Wear them down. The game is balanced about 6-8 enounters per day with two short rests. Casters can't cast that often. They have what, 12 spell slots at level 5?

Admitedly, i have no idea how anyone can do that amount of encounters in reasonable time.
>>
>>55402461
Then you're probably better off going Cleric and multiclassing into fighter or something. Many paladin and warlock abilities are dependent on saves which scale off your cha, so you'd be gimping yourself if you went paladin.

If you're also going to be int character who modifies his weapon, forge domain would probably be the best fit.
>>
Party is on the hunt for a Green Dragon and are delving down a giant swampy sink hole to get to his lair to steal an artifact from him. They hope to not encounter him but they figure a fight may break out.

The group is 6 level 7's. What age Green Dragon would you find a difficult challenge in its lair without being overbearingly, stupidly bonkers that will result in an easy TPK? Adult?
>>
>>55402363
Paladin.

>>55402475
Notice how they are all villains.
>>
File: 1441143091510.png (682KB, 484x609px) Image search: [Google]
1441143091510.png
682KB, 484x609px
>>55402475
>Bane
>not chaotic good
>>
Rolled 5, 1, 5 = 11 (3d10)

>>55402424
DID SOMEBODY MENTION DICKS
>>
>>55402575
It says "evil" anon
>>
Rolled 5, 9, 6 = 20 (3d10)

>>55402625
dickleet
>>
>>55402539
I'm already fighter 10, I probably will level in a session or two I can give my current stats if you want although my rolls were kind of bullshit. I was actually thinking war if I go cleric since she tasked us with taking care of her brother and his shit needs radiant to kill.
>>55402575
I was leaning that or warlock since they better represent the low potential and outside source.
>>
>>55402600
What class is Bane? Straight barbarian? His int is high enough to wonder why you'd shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane so I have my doubts. Monk?
>>
>>55402667
Oy vey
>>
>>55402678
High int barb
>>
>>55402707
With the tavern brawler feat or what? Most of his attacksare made with his fists
>>
>>55402408
honestly they may not even go to thundertree but i guess there may still be stuff around that will fuck them up
>>
>>55402728
Strength mod + rage damage is more significant than the damage die anyway
>>
>>55402676
Get fighter 11 and THEN multiclass. You want to give up your third attack?!
>>
>>55402764
I was planning a two level dip. Basically get the power then not being able to progress any further due to lack of potential and lack of power. I'd actually like to get to 12 then dip but right now I'm going flavor over function.
>>
>>55402743
Yeah level 3 or 4 players get messed up by fireball. Also since it comes back it almost cause a tpk on my players.
>>
>>55402728
Probably, yes, but also the Battlerager archetype, for extra grappling and shit

Also high Wisdom and high Charisma. Just a barbarian that rolled super high in general and so makes it up for no weapon attack
>>
>>55402755
Huh, I might actually read up on the barbarian class sometime instead of just shitting all over it in /5eg/
>>
>>55402678
I'd say that's more of an insight check
>>
>>55402859
I see. So what happens if he takes off the mask?
>>
>>55402900
It hurts
>>
>>55402946
K thnx
>>
>>55402946
It'd be very painful. Which means he'd keep his rage bonus going for a few extra rounds
>>
Any scans of TOA yet?
>>
>>55402980
>Very painful
For whom?
>>
>>55402995
DM's decision.
>>
>>55402983
No, stop fucking asking
>>
>>55403014
Understandable, have a nice day
>>
File: QTiFCeY.jpg (51KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
QTiFCeY.jpg
51KB, 640x360px
>>55402872
>Gonna be playing a Barbearian
>Decided to use a warhammer because I like the image
>Couple anons say to grab a shield since it doesn't mess with Unarmored Defense
>Remember the Shield Master feat
>Bonus action shove
>Not only have advantage on Dex saves
>But if I pass can choose to ignore all damage with the feat or take 1/4 if raging
>Only take half if I fail anyway
>All this while getting extra damage from rage
>9th level add an extra damage dice on a critical
Barbarians are no joke man
>>
>>55403074
>Wizard casts levitate
>Stuck waggling my stumpy little legs in the air for six rounds
Such is the life for the noble barbarian
>>
>>55403103
>not having a ring of spell storing with dispel magic in it
>>
File: 1504688730477.jpg (9KB, 368x158px) Image search: [Google]
1504688730477.jpg
9KB, 368x158px
>>55403103
>Not having javelins and ranged options
>>
>>55403103
>Levitate
>A constitution saving throw
>On a barbarian

Anon we need to talk
>>
>>55403074
Memes aside what good is the shove bonus action? As I understand it opponents entering your space don't provoke a reaction so why bother?
>>
>>55403150
To push them off a cliff
>>
>>55403150
With shove I can knock a creature prone also has to contest against my Athletics
>>
>>55403170
What if the cliff is 10ft away?
>>
>>55401310
>He believes right wing propaganda
How many have been killed by antifa again
>>
>>55403184
Than grapple and suplex him off
>>
File: Ship.jpg (252KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Ship.jpg
252KB, 1920x1200px
My PCs are going to be sailing past a pirates secret cove in a ship built for speed, how could the pirates defend themselves in an intresting way without catching up?

Doesn't have to nessisarily be lethal but I'd like it to be memorable
>>
>>55403176
Ah yeah that makes sense
>>
>>55403206
Pair of giants with iron boluses should act like chain shot, wrapping around the mast and potentially snapping it?
>>
>>55403206
They have a druid who can cast Control Water
>>
>>55403206
Goblin catapults?
>>
>>55403268
Goblins with catapults or catapults firing goblins
>>
>>55403187
>Trying to start a political debate outside of /pol/
Fuck off
>>
File: Goblin_Artillery_M10.jpg (35KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Goblin_Artillery_M10.jpg
35KB, 223x310px
>>55403325
Goblins with goblin firing catapults obviously.
>>
Rolling for my half-orc cleric's dong.
>>
>>55403206
Shark wizards.
>>
>>55403793
shit
>>
Okay, someone please explain to me the diference between giving one of my players a +1 Chain shirt, vs a Breast Plate, other than "one is magic"
>>
>>55403856
Don't breast plates prevent disadvantage on stealth rolls?
>>
>>55403856
Isn't one medium armor, but one is heavy? The PC may not be able to use the plate.
>>
>>55403869
Neither gives disadvantage to stealth checks, they both weigh the same and they are both medium armor
>>
>>55403902
>>55403902
>>55403902
>>55403902

New thread lads
>>
>>55403375
I was thinking more goblins firing a goblin with a catapult which then releases said catapult, therefore firing the projectile at twice the speed. Also the projectile's a goblin
>>
Rolled 2, 6, 7 = 15 (3d10)

>>55403793
Rolling for your half-orc cleric's dong
>>
>>55403910
Breast Plate costs 400 GP, a +1 Chain Shirt is a Rare item, costing over 5000

The mechanical benefits they both provide are equal
>>
Rolled 2, 5, 4 = 11 (3d10)

>>55402625
>>55402667
CRY FAGGIT
>>
>>55403936
Thank you, I'm retarded.

Also, nice!
>>
>>55403961
FUCK
>>
His last name is Cyanwrath. Horde is just filled with really poor names.

Also has a manipulative mask wearing villain by the name of Rezmir.
>>
>>55403905
both medium
>>
>>55403948
>sell chain shirt
>buy breastplate + 4600 worth of goodies
>>
>>55397723
I see Red Larch, so PotA I guess?
Thread posts: 400
Thread images: 33

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.