[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 375
Thread images: 31

File: 8SjlrznLQn.jpg (1MB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
8SjlrznLQn.jpg
1MB, 1200x900px
D&D 5th Ed. General Discussion Thread

>Unearthed Arcana: Eladrin and Gith
https://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-Eladrin-Gith.pdf

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Alternate Trove:
https://dnd.rem.uz/5e%20D%26D%20Books/

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previous thread:
>>55376120

Have you ever used any Planeshift material in your game?
>>
how is there still no ToA online zzzzzz
>>
>>55381048
>Have you ever used any Planeshift material in your game?

I'm making a 5e campaign for MTG, so yeah, a lot. Especially since there wasn't a Planeswalker's Guide to Amonkhet.
>>
>>55381064
How about you go buy it on DDB, save each page, zip it up, and upload it?
>>
>>55381064
Why the fuck are you this impatient.
>>
>>55381048
Not really.
I've never felt need to advertise for WotC's personal money maker when it can manage doing so by itself easily enough.
>>
>>55381066
How are you doing this exactly? Just saying the characters are planeswalkers and going nuts with planeshopping, or just stealing a setting from MTG?
>>
wizards are nerds
>>
>>55381076

why would i be impatient about downloading it if i was willing to spend to money on it in the first place?
>>
>>55381104
There's really nothing in it for players, just like most of the adventure books.
A few mediocre magic items, that's about it.
>>
>>55381141

I'm a DM tho
>>
>>55381156
You're a cheapskate is what you are.
>>
File: ToA.pdf (126KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
ToA.pdf
126KB, 1x1px
>>55381064
It's here.
>>
>>55381087
Mine's pretty fucking radical. I'm using the spell points system to represent mana costs. Every character is a planeswalker, and planeswalking is a 1st-level spell with a long cast time and some special rules in its casting.

Much more radical is that I abolished spell lists. Each character begins with a single color identity (some races are slotted into different ones they can choose from). Your spell list is all the spells available to that color. Some spells change colors or even can't be used depending on plane. Any caster that learns spells (such as a sorcerer or wizard) can keep these off-color versions, while spellcasters with the whole list available to prepare from (clerics, paladins) can only use the ones available on that world.

I've been slowly fleshing out setting details for each plane and statting some monsters for them.
>>
File: 1495474946495.jpg (22KB, 253x293px) Image search: [Google]
1495474946495.jpg
22KB, 253x293px
>>55381183
Absolutely based.
>>
>>55381203
Sounds pretty cool, I'd love to see it posted when it's all done.
>>
>>55381227
If you keep asking you WILL keep getting trolled son, so just be patient like the rest of us and wait until some anon nails it to the opening post.
>>
>>55381256
I'm not that guy, but I did click on the .pdf and found it amusing.
>>
>>55381048
ToA leak album
https://imgur.com/a/iglMj
>>
>>55381285
Carry on then.
>>
>>55381183
>>
Despite Pathfinder being a piece of shit, they do make good flavor and good adventures, I was thinking of cribbing some ideas from Serpent's Skull, their jungle exploration AP or would that be too much work?
>>
File: 546457468769.jpg (83KB, 750x740px) Image search: [Google]
546457468769.jpg
83KB, 750x740px
Human's +1 to everything is kind of lame, right? You only actually get an ability modifier bonus on your 13 and your 15 stat.
>>
>>55381394
https://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/DnD_Conversions_1.0.pdf
>>
File: 1502567173808.jpg (509KB, 1800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1502567173808.jpg
509KB, 1800x1200px
>>55381183
>126 KB
Yeah, that seems legit. Come on, guys, even we are not dumb enough to fall for that.
>>
>>55381479
Most people open without checking file size. Still, you have a point. There's been so trickery lately that people are probably getting wise.
>>
>>55381048
One of my party members is playing an Aven monk. Seems pretty decent, not as ridiculous with the flight speed as 50 foot meme birds
>>
>>55381183

I just want you to know that I love you
>>
What alignment would a Raven Queen Warlock have if he was extremely loyal to her, and follows her believes and values without exception? Lawful good or lawful neutral?
>>
>>55381528
Really? I'm not that guy, but I've not once fallen for that shit.
There's always cues; filesize, the thumbnail looking wonky, a weird filename...

Besides, guys, it kind of gets unfunny if the same joke gets used every single thread. Save a different one for each day of the week, or something. Like ''Naruto d20 Thursdays''.
>>
>>55381407
Default humans are probably the worst race in 5e, including all supplemental materials. On the other hand, the variant is probably one of the best races in the game, and has potential to be busted because it opens up certain options that can be used. The designers kind of phoned human in, which I think is a huge blunder considering it should be the baseline race that all others are compared to, balance-wise.
>>
>>55381048
A reminder we should have Mystic take 4 before or in early winter this year.
>>
>>55381183
this will never not be funny :D
>>
>>55381679
Lawful neutral.

“Him of Many Faces.”
“And many names,” the kindly man had said. “In Qohor he is the Black Goat, in Yi Ti the Lion of Night, in Westeros the Stranger. All men must bow to him in the end, no matter if they worship the Seven or the Lord of Light, the Moon Mother or the Drowned God or the Great Shepherd. All mankind belongs to him… else somewhere in the world would be a folk who lived forever. Do you know of any folk who live forever?”
“No,” she would answer. “All men must die.”
>>
>>55381048
Best way to find a new DM?
>>
>>55381679
>>55381846
Seconding this
>>
>>55381820
What do you guys want to see changed besides corrections of course?

For me its improving the Immortal (fuck that unarmored defense is shit), simply by giving it martial weapon and shield proficiencies. Then you can either give them armor prof or better yet give one of the immortal disciplines a mage armor like Mastery of Force does.
Psi Blade should just be reworked to make better use of the disciplines, the class needs its bonus action for way too much.
And lastly remove or rework Nomadic Mind.
>>
>>55381857
irl, or online?
>>
>>55381857
Be the change you want to see.
>>
What cool shit can I do playing a melee Valor Bard?
>>
>>55381872
IRL
>>
>>55381871
total revamp. it shouldnt take a 28 page document to explain the mystic. it needs to be radically streamlined. also its power in v3 is all over the place, some builds literally break the game, some builds are inherently weaker even at higher levels than a 1st level fighter. speaking of which, the mystic is far too versatile. its shtick should be psionics, not being a better utility monkey than the rogue and bard put together.
>>
>>55381891
as >>55381873 says, be the DM yourself. Or talk one of your gaming friends into it, and then give them your full support as they get their legs under them.
>>
>>55381846
>>55381868
Ok thank you.

I've thought about making one, who is very loyal to her. But he wants to become a Wereraven to be of even better use to her, but that would turn him lawful good. Any ideas how to handle that?
>>
>>55381871
Rework nomadic mind, make the immortal less MAD and reduce the number of disciplines the class gets access to as they level.
>>
>>55381894
>the mystic is far too versatile
I disagree on that one. The mystics shtick was always being the most versatile class in the game. It should be the jack of all trades, master of none class. Its biggest pro should be versatility and flexibility, with its biggest con that it isn't as good in one thing than other classes who focus on these things.
>>
>>55381904
Literally mercy killing people because the cosmos is better off with them in the afterlife.
>>
File: attachment[1].php.jpg (94KB, 516x1000px) Image search: [Google]
attachment[1].php.jpg
94KB, 516x1000px
>Playing a trickery cleric
>Do shit for damage
>Have lots of defensive and fun spells though
Should I just run around with sanctuary on myself and use the help action to give my allies advantage instead?

I am useful as fuck out of combat but in combat I feel like I cant really do shit.
>>
>>55381939
Not him, and I think the versatility is a decent way to take Mystic, if that's the plan. The problem was that it wasn't limited in its versatility. It could be really good at a lot of things, and sometimes better at those things than classes dedicated to that specific role. I think the biggest example is how Immortal is tougher than Barbarians, Paladins, Fighters, and Rangers. Immortal is supposed to be the durable archetype for Mystic, but it definitely shouldn't make it tougher than the classes that are specifically designed to be able to take hits, especially not when the Mystic still has their incredible versatility.
>>
Making a warlock gish with the old one as my patron.
Taking the flail invocation from wizards and warlocks ua. Getting moderate armored, then heavily armored with my first two feats.
16 str
13 dex
15 con
11 int
15 wisdom
20 cha

What do you guys think?
>>
>>55381048
I've used the vampire race as a template for a player version. The MM version for a player vampire is cool but too unbalanced for the most part, so I prefer to have them start out as the racial version with a view to later perks taking them to MM level.

How do other DMs handle player travel? Up to now I've only been doing "sure you can travel over there, it takes you, uh, 3 hours, bringing you up to lunchtime".

They're on an island and have to nip backwards and forwards a lot so there's been a lot of dramatic compression in terms of how long it takes to travel around. It used to be 1-2 days to get anywhere, now it's a few hours, otherwise it slows the plot down.
>>
File: 1251421323513.jpg (56KB, 229x365px) Image search: [Google]
1251421323513.jpg
56KB, 229x365px
>>55381871

I kinda like it how it is because it lets me make Str/Int beefcake characters who can also use a bonus action to be proficient in any skill.

Seriously though, I think what would be neat is a split between melee mystic, the immortal/avatar/psyblade type, and ranged mystic, the nomad/wu jen type. I would like for the second type to retain a lot of the skill proficiencies and loads of versatility, and just want the former to retain all the fun stuff like Brute Force, Giant Growth and Bestial Form and stuff for slapping things around in melee in a fun way.
>>
>>55381416
Thanks bro.
>>
>>55381939
but thats already been covered by the bard in 5e, and to a lesser existence the rogue. so there's no design space left for THAT version of a mystic
>>
really the best thing to do with psionics is go the EK/AT route. Instead of there being one psion class, just give the fighter, the rogue, the wizard, etc. a psionic subclass.
>>
>>55381987
Indeed. Some mystic options are just too strong, rebalancing them would make the class a lot more sensible.
What do you think of the on the go skill and language switching? I never understood why people bitch about it as rogues and bards will always be better at their selected skills thanks to expertise and there are other ways to communicate than speaking the same language.
Being versatile and picking up the slack on the skill department by temporarily adding prof to a skill is not that overpowered.
And while some/most of the disciplines need to be at least reworded I don't think there's anything world ending shit in there unlike on the wizard spell list but they always cry when someone even tries to catch up to them.
>>
>>55381994
Guys?
>>
>>55381994
why take those 2 feat
>>
>>55382082
I wanna be front line, and i don't wanna multiclass
>>
File: Houston.jpg (51KB, 493x515px) Image search: [Google]
Houston.jpg
51KB, 493x515px
>>55381994
>Moderately armored AND Heavily armored
>>
>>55382017
Mate you need AGL and CON for AC, INT for your disciplines and STR for your weapon. It's MAD as fuck
>>
>>55382034
I think there is a difference between skill versatility like Bard/Rogue and general versatility like the Wizard has.
I agree with most people that some options are too weak or too strong, and that is what they should focus on fixing the most.
But the class should be able to fill any role the party needs at the moment, while not being as stealthy for example as the rogue, or as durable as the Babarian. They should have access to divination like abilities, while not as good as a Cleric or Wizard in that regard etc.
>>
>>55382129
exactly
>>55382082
at this point I don't know why you want to play a lock?
>>
Something no one has mentioned yet is how the mystic gets, for free, something the sorcerer has spend very limited class resources for. The ability to use psionics/cast spells without any sort of warning sign or ability to counter(spell) them.

Thats a HUGE deal.
>>
>>55382134

They really should change it to be more like the Monk's unarmored defense and let it be Con+Int rather than Dex+Con.
>>
If one of your parents were to stipulate in their will that a set of dice be crafted out of their bones after they die and given to you, would you be comfortable using them, or would it be too weird?
>>
>>55381981
Anyone?
>>
File: 1479087576244.png (225KB, 500x895px) Image search: [Google]
1479087576244.png
225KB, 500x895px
>>55382174
That'd be the sickest fucking set of dice to play with
I'd make a necromancer instantly for double shits and giggles
>>
>>55382150
Yeah, I let a mystic into my campaign. He spends a lot of his time just killing people without anyone knowing.

I wouldn't allow another Mystic. I let /tg/ persuade me that it just needed to remove Nomadic Mind to be balanced and that was fucking dumb.

Mystics are seriously overpowered in so many aspects it's obscene.

>Summon Shadows constantly, creatures that can use Strength Drain to ruin enemies and are resistant to most damage - available from low levels
>Darkness without concentration in massive areas
>An ability with no save where they can deal shit-tonnes of damage
>Summon all sorts of wall
>All sorts of options for different abilities covering every caster ability for usually a lower cost
>No components for any of these and no drawbacks for that
>>
Can someone with ToA tell me if there's anything about going around the island by boat?
>>
Which wizard school is the most fun? Cant decide between illusionist and diviner myself.
>>
>>55382211
Mystic exists so that "muh caster" could be a thing in 5e.
>>
>>55382254
There's nothing stopping players from doing it, and navigation is probably the same as lake/river travel; DC 10 for navigation, move 2 hexes a day at normal speed. Unless you mean something else?
>>
>>55382211
How's the order of the soul knife?
>>
>>55382317
Stuff like how to handle the pirates, reasonable boat speeds, the level of danger from monster attacks near the bays
>>
>>55382341
All of them are fairly broken. He didn't take that one, so I can't comment on it specifically - but it's the core parts of the Mystic that are broken, not the subclasses.
>>
>>55382341
It's pretty shit. It doesn't do any more damage than any other d8 class (or even equivalent damage in most cases) while getting fewer disciplines than other mystics. It also focuses on TWF without the fighting style. It only gets crazy at level 14 when it starts making single attacks against AC 10 every round, that way you can blow all your psi points on big 100%-sure hits.
>>
>>55382144
Literally for the RP
>>
>>55382411
Pirates, only three ships, at any point, one is docked in Jahaka Anchorage, one is a mile out to defend, one is out around Chult stealing from ships. Gives details about the ships and their crews, each crew has 15+ people. Nothing about boat speeds that I see. Each area does say what kind of creatures you're more likely to encounter, like Refuge Bay has sharks, plesiosaurs, and sea hags.
>>
What's a good name for a ship to give to the PCs?
>>
>>55382585
The Beached Whale.
>>
>>55382585
Spelljammer
>>
>>55382585
"If It Doesn't Come When You Call It, Why Name It?"
>>
>>55382585
Unsinkable II
>>
>>55382585
Chekhov's Ship
>>
>>55381981
>magic initate for booming blade
>use spiritual weapon and spirit guardians

You now deal good damage.
>>
>>55382474
I did a bladelock gish, with the UA stuff it can be pretty good, BUT i traded up invocations through levels AND I had a lot of racial utility. I did a level of fighter (1st level) to get a bunch of stuff to keep me alive in combat. you may want warcaster, especially if you are gonna use concentration for buffs or extra damage. I did my build without warcaster and it still works.
>>
>be eldritch knight with 1 lvl dip in war cleric
>Attack someone with three attacks
>hit at least one
>they have disadvantage on the next saving throw from a spell because of eldritch srtike
>cast shield on top of my plate armor and shield when they attack back on their turn
>cast hold person on my next turn and hit them with an attack as a bonus action because war cleric
>it has advantage and auto crits because they are paralyzed
>they now have disadvantage on the save to break out of hold person next turn
>I hit them with 3 attacks at advantage that auto crit + another because war cleric
>action surge
>arcane charge behind them
>whisper "nothin personel kidd"
>three more attacks that auto crit
why aren't you playing an EK?
>>
Anyone know if someone scanned the handouts for TOA?
>>
>>55382816
I want the extra smite dmg so i am playing palladin2 sorc X
>>
>>55382816
I want to, but no game :'
>>
>>55382816
Because out of combat I'd just have to play a spellsword, which does not interest me.
>>
>>55381479
That's about the size of some of the GURPS books. They're the original PDFs, though, not scans.
>>
File: 1504927349230.jpg (3MB, 3024x4032px) Image search: [Google]
1504927349230.jpg
3MB, 3024x4032px
Where are people getting their copy of the Tomb of annihilation if the street date is the 19th?
>>
For a fighter, battlemaster or ek? Please justify
>>
>>55382919
Game shop let me buy it earlier. Told the dude our group didn't know what to play.
>>
>>55382919
>The Tomb of Annihilation will be available at your FLGS on September 8, and will be released globally on September 19th.
>>
>>55381183
FUCK
>>
>>55382816
>they now have disadvantage on the save to break out of hold person next turn
It doesn't work that way, does it?
>>
>>55381099
Best not to tell everyone you're a wizard.
>>
File: Necromancer5e.jpg (152KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
Necromancer5e.jpg
152KB, 1024x576px
I'll be rolling a Duergar Wizard who specializes in Necromancy on my next session.

I feel that I have enough ingenuity to make myself as broken as possible, since our DM is known to run over-the-top encounters (You WILL fight small scale armies everytime you try to rest. Good Luck!)

I've done enough reading to understand that Leomunds Tiny Hut is pretty broken for its level 3 requirement, and it says nothing about polearms poking through the barrier, so my skeleton minions, whilst guarding my Wizard, could effectively Pike anything clawing at the impenetrable dome. With the only drawback being an attack from underground, of course.

I plan on putting my Skeletons inside Full Plate, using shields, longswords and having them carry Longbows for ranged encounters.

Yet I ask, because I know /tg/ is creative as fuck, how do you use your skeletons? Any good methods of how to run a Necromancer? Tell me your stories.
>>
>>55383155
>Skeletons inside Full Plate, using shields, longswords and having them carry Longbows for ranged encounters.
Good luck.
>>
>>55383155
>plate armor
Where do you plan on getting it?
Also I'm pretty sure skeletons have shitty strength so longsword+plate armor is terrible idea, with slow but shitty melee units
>>
>>55382519
Thanks my dude
>>
>>55383166
What are you seeing that I do not friend?

>>55383167
Speaking of it as a long term investment, of course I will start with scraps until I can functionally afford the basic platings.

What do you recommend?
>>
File: Undead Guide.png (1MB, 897x1355px) Image search: [Google]
Undead Guide.png
1MB, 897x1355px
>>55383184
Plate costs way too much
1.5k gold per skeleton, who can just be killed using aoe magic easy peesy, ain't worth it
go for chainmail/some medium armor at most
For weapons just stick with short swords, skeletons die too easily to try and equip them in the best shit
Use this guide to help with necromancer army
Make sure the other players know about you doing this so they don't make characters who hate undead all over the place
An oath breaker paladin+necromancer combo would let you stomp anything
>>
About to join my first DND game today.
Any advice for a new person?
I'm deciding between a wizard and a sorcerer, would a wizard be harder to play?
>>
>>55383155
Skeletons have shitty strength, so give them heavy crossbows. Let hell loose from afar and have less risk of them getting destroyed by aoe. It's also easier to controll them at range, as you sometimes have to focus on moving single skeletons in melee so they won't be in bad positions for your party or themselves.
>>
>>55383239
Thank you my friend. I'll look over the guide. This new party consists of only Evil aligned adventurers.

>>55383258
I see. I didn't think about the positioning of them after the initial order.
>>
>>55383269
If you get a ring of spell storing, get find familiar
Give every undead a familiar so they can have the familiars spam the help action on themselves, so they get one attack with advantage
>>
>>55383155
If your DM runs hard encounters and has a brain, tiny hut is near useless because he will make it so you won't be able to benefit from it or will just dispel it. Don't bank on Tiny Hut.
>>
>>55383239
I must say, I was looking to working with possibly 2-4 undead at a time, now with those numbers, I must surely ask, has anyone actually used this type of scenario in play? How does one effectively move such an army on the fly, or command it for that matter?

The guide mentions letting the Wrights command your undead, how does this work?

Why the Zombies over the skeletons? The higher HP value? If the zombie drops its weapon, it doesn't pick it back up and shambles forward through any type of terrain in its way. Skeletons avoid this mistake, don't they?

>>55383320
That would truly be a shame if every encounter had a dispelling wizard to it...
>>
>>55383333
>has anyone done this
Not that I can imagine, if I were dm of this I'd kill myslef

>command army
command prompt style with an assload of commands that say "if this happens, do x"
>moving them on the fly
make a new one with bodies, keep the high tier ones though

>wights control
Wight can kill 7 or so humaniods and make them into a zombie gang that follow it's commands. It only gets to 7 though

>zombie over skeleton
because wight make zombie, not skeleton
>>
>>55383333
>That would truly be a shame if every encounter had a dispelling wizard to it...
It would be and that's where my advice comes from - if one doesn't want an uncanny amount of dispel-capable enemies showing up, one should use the tiny hut for it's intended use of making rest safer. Nearly any DM is probably going to ruin your day if you use tiny hut as a fortress, and if he doesn't the campaign will probably be boring as fuck anyway.
>>
>>55382954
Battlemaster ia good for damage and control. Tripping attack, commander's strike, etc give you versatility unlike any other martial class. That, and you can abuse shit like Percision Strike + GWM/Sharpshooter to deal consistantly double digit damage numbers per hit, and their resources are on a short rest so they're quick to recover.

Eldritch Knight, on the other hand, is better at tanking with unhittable AC and they have better out of combat utility. They are the only class that can consistantly hit AC 30 with the help of spell, letting them negate even the most powerful attack in the late game. That, and having spells is good regardless.
>>
>>55383415
>They are the only class that can consistantly hit AC 30
How without magical equip? With Platemail, a Shield, defensive fighting style and the shield spell you get 26 AC. With shield of faith (if you mc) you get 28.
>>
>>55383443
I was assuming with magical items.
>>
>>55383443
the rest of your party (4 others) play cleric/paladin and all cast shield of faith on you, so total of 36
>>
>>55383457
Makes sense. Still 26 AC with potential blur and mirror image is nothing to laugh at
>>
>>55383462
Multiple instances of the same spell effect do not stack.
>>
>>55383462
I thought you cant have the same spell casted on you to stack effects?
>>
>>55383467
On that note, if you concentrate on blur and have casted mirror image, does the attacker have disadvantage against the images?
>>
What would be a better tank, pure eldritch knight with str focus, or an eldritch knight/bladesinger with dex focus?
How many levels of bladesinger would be optimal?
>>
Has anyone tried a dex paladin? How is it?
>>
>>55383503
>>55383504
That's dumb, there goes my epic strat of my lvl 17 paladin getting his 3 lvl 3 apprentices to cast shield of faith, it was fun while it lasted
>>
>>55383676
You didn't realize multiple insurances don't stack? Better start reading the book, buddy.
>>
I am planning in having an item in the campaing that mechanically will give a player one level in warlock (they can then start leveling in levels of warlock or their main class). It is pretty random who will use it, it is pretty much the first that wants to grab it but I want to know what will be the best and worst outcome mechanically. We have a lvl 6 light cleric, a lvl 6 favored soul sorcerer, lvl 5 bearbarian, lvl 5 revenge paladin and a lvl 5 monster slayer (revised). Which will be better with levels of warlock, which will be worse?
>>
>>55381994
Flail thing got nixed
>>
>>55383809
Sorcerer or Paladin will use them. Care for Sorclock if you don't want to be your players to be THAT powerful (but given this item, you don't care so much).
The Paladin would also gain a shortrest spellslot for smites, and ranged options through eldritch blast.
>>
>>55383791
I will read if you learn how to write instances
>>55383809
Why on earth are your players different levels?
>>
Kinda off-topic but anyone here looking forward to Divinity: original sin 2? Launch in just two hours.
If the GM mode is easy to use our group might give it a shot sometime.
>>
>>55383579
>bladesinger
>any build
>optimal
>>
>>55383891
Well how about Abjurer then? Probably not worth it, but who knows, maybe someone has a neat build.
>>
>>55381994
Might as well use hexblade if you're using the UA, which also givs medium armor proficiency.
Or multiclass:
Either 3 levels of rogue for swashbuckler which ties initiative to cha, and has a limited disengage for free. This ties you to finesse weapons, but that shouldn't be a problem if you can us your CHA for combat modifier.

If you want heavy armor, take you first level in paladin or fighter. Fighter gives con saves which help with (hex) concentration. You can go 1, for profs and fighting style, 2 for action surge, or 3 for crit range and manouvres, or 5th for 2nd attack and ASI.
Paladin can give smites, and more spells, and scales up to any level really.

Either way you can continue focusing primarily on warlock, down one other class, or an even split with any of these.
>>
>>55383837
Instances. You said it.
>>
>>55383837
3 of them skip one session. This session those 3 will lvl up, then they will lvl up together again.
>>55383835
definitly dont care about them being too powerful. They dont know the power of the item but Sorcerer will be tempted on taking the thing, it is also pretty likely that paladin or barbarian will do.
>>
>>55383809
Nobody will be worse, but it's a bad idea to just have the item give a level in a class, with everything that goes with it. Also it seems to imply that you will force this person to take warlock for all their future levels, which is annoying.

Forcing someone into entering a pact with some extraplanar being kind of defeats the purpose of having a pact. So many people get this wrong that it blows my mind. A pact always, ALWAYS, goes both ways.
>>
>>55383883
It's not kinda off-topic; it's completely off-topic. Get the fuck out of here.
>>
>>55383952
What does a Babarian want with Warlock features?
>>
>>55383971
Best way to discourage off topic discussion is to ignore it. We have broken that rule and now we both need to commit sudoku.
>>
>>55383986
They will not know the warlock thingy. They will only see a cool sword with obvious mistery magic features
>>
>>55383921
>>55383579
The "tank" is not a concept that has much support in 5e. There is a very small number of player options that can make a PC hard to move past or that allow a PC to intercept an attack. These include the battlemaster maneuver Goading Attack, the Protection fighting style, the Sentinel feat, and a couple of Oath of the Crown paladin features. As you can see, eldritch knights and bladesinger don't have access to most of these. There aren't really any arcane spells that make you sticky, but there are plenty that disable opponents so they can't attack anyone, which is much better.

If you just want to be a tank in the sense of being hard to kill, nothing else even comes close to a barbarian or an onion druid.
>>
>>55384097
Yeah, "tank" might not be the right word. Still, blocking small passages (most often in dungeons) or frontlining against enemies with low int should be possible while being only hard to kill. Your DM shouldn't make skeletons, zombies or animals go for your healers and casters (unless they maybe throw fire, in which case beasts might focus or fear them).
>>
I always have a horrible time trying to come up with new characters. As soon as I've decided on one I think of another one I'd also like to play. Next campaign the party will be the equivalent of shadowrunners and the dm asked us to make two characters.

I have a hard enough time with one!
>>
>>55383257

Draconic Sorcerer is probably the easiest to understand, most straightforward caster in the game.

Wizards have a lot of plates to spin.
>>
>>55383579
>>55384097
EK can take Lightning Lure and Thorn Whip as spells, which can control the battlefield a little bit, but it's not stellar.
>>
>>55384159
Enemies roughly come in two classes: those intelligent enough to go for the casters, and predators who will not stop attacking after you've reached zero HP. Each is its own kind of dangerous.
>>
>>55384237
Yeah, eldritch knights shine the most when fighting the latter category
>>
Very important question
Do Halflings call humans Doublings?
>>
>>55384316
Lanklings, actually.
>>
Why are they called Half-Elves and not Half-Humans?
>>
>>55384369
Elves call them half-humans, humans call them half-elves
>>
>>55381885
Haste yourself, fly, take Smite spells as Magical Secrets, get a SCAG cantrip, use Shocking Grasp a lot. Nothing really unique to them, though, other than using your Inspirations as relatively minor self-buffs.
>>
>>55384369
I'm the human Bard in a party full of special snowflakes and one the best moments in our entire campaign is when the supernaturally paranoid me finally acknowledged the Half orc fighter as a full fledged, no caveats or qualifier, part of "team human"
>>
>>55382585
Icannotallowmyplayerstonameshitthemselves
>>
>>55382773
Kek'd
>>
>>55384454
Not him but I really can't, unless I want everything to be named dickbutt or some meme like that.
>>
>>55383103
It's a little ambiguous RAW - "disadvantage on the next saving throw against a spell you cast before the end of your next turn."
To me, that reads that the spell has to be cast before the end of your next turn, so it doesn't include ongoing saves.
I can see how people could read it as "the next saving throw it makes before the end of your next turn, against a spell that you have cast," but I think that's wrong.
>>
>>55384488
If that's how they want to do it, let them. If it's somehow inappropriate or unwise, let it have appropriate consequences. Memers want to have fun too.
>>
>>55383514
I think so - enemy makes an attack with disadvantage, then you roll to see if it aimed for you or an image, then if it was aimed at an image, determine if their worse roll hits the image's AC.
>>
>>55384516
>let it have appropriate consequences

>"Greetings! Might we port our boat here so that we can trade and stretch our legs?"
>"Sure thing! I'll just need the name of your vessel for accounting purposes..."
>"Dickbutt."
>"What did you say?"
>"DICKBUTT!"
>"Get out of my port, you troublemakers, and don't let me catch you bothering anyone on the way out."
>>
>>55383579
Dex Bladesinger will be able to have slightly better AC, but will be really squishy.
EK/Abjuration Wizard is a much better MC for a tank, due to Arcane Ward (and the ability to defend other party members with it).

>>55384097
Booming Blade is sort of a mini-Sentinel, in that it makes them stop moving or forces pretty big damage. Warcaster lets you use it as an OA, so you can go:
>hit with Booming Blade
>enemy tries to leave, takes Xd8 Thunder
>hit with Booming Blade OA
>enemy freezes or has to take Xd8 Thunder again

It's not perfect but it's second only to Sentinel and Oath of the Crown for "stickiness."
>>
>>55381183
>126kb
>>
>>55381048

Anyone have any experiences playing Drow in 5e?
Save your Drizzt and or snowflake comments please, thanks.
>>
File: 13699592_ml.jpg (145KB, 1486x1263px) Image search: [Google]
13699592_ml.jpg
145KB, 1486x1263px
>>55384644
>>
>>55384657
I once played a mentally retarded drow thief, It was alright being the comic relief
>>
Has anyone used the UA mass combat rules? I have a big battle coming up that needs the element of randomness that dice + strategy can provide.

Anything you guys would change? I thought D20 + battle rating seemed a little silly. An army of 200 knights would be a battle rating of +400.

It'd take an army of 4000 goblins to have the same battle rating of +400. While I'm sure the knights are MUCH better fighters than the goblins, I can't help but feel like being outnumbered 20 to 1 would affect them.

I realize the rules are designed to be fast and simple, I'm just afraid of certain sides being absurdly overpowered for no real reason.
>>
>>55384601
That's perfectly fine.
>>
First time GM about to run Curse of Strahd, any tips or tricks to make it more enjoyable for my players?
>>
>>55384742
When working with bonuses that large I would switch the d20 for a d100, and if you feel like it you could just give out advantage/disadvantage for things like
>Being surrounded
>Being outnumbered
>Cavalry vs Pikemen
etc

Hell, you could even send the PCs on missions ahead of time with the reward for success being advantage during the battle roll (like stealing/killing the horses of a cavalry division or something).

There's nothing stopping you from adding some minor elements of troop management and turning it into an RTS-lite
>>
>>55384810
IS THERE EVER
>>
>>55384810
Play Strahd like a Twilight vampire.
>>
File: franksweettmkup.jpg (151KB, 577x474px) Image search: [Google]
franksweettmkup.jpg
151KB, 577x474px
>>55384810
Go full Tim Curry

>>55384853
What are you fucking gay?
>>
>>55384657
Yeah, my main character was a neutral evil drow.

His scheming wasn't generally detrimental to the party, because they were useful to him so he worked to their advantage.

People have such a gripe about evil characters, but it's perfectly doable to play evil without playing stupid and random.

Spent most of my time plotting and counterplotting, getting our enemies to fight against each other so we could destroy them and take over their resources.
>>
>>55384872
The main reason, as a DM and player, I have a grip against evil characters is most people play them stupid random. I do it on a case by case basis anymore, unless you're playing an evil campaign, then I have to trust you to actually rp and not just be a huge time sink for everyone.
>>
>>55384838
Thank you so much for saying that! I'm a relatively new DM so I always feel super nervous when it comes to modifying rules.

I was thinking d100 would be MUCH better than d20 and I'm happy you said that. I really do like the idea of advantage/disadvantage based on tactics.

Another thing that bummed me out about the rules was than bigger ALWAYS won and that doesn't seem right. If a small group of sneaky but effective rogues sneaks up on your archers who are totally distracted, they should win or at least have advantage despite being the smaller unit size.

Great ideas, you totally made this a lot more fun to look forward to.
>>
New GM and one of my PC adopted 2 orpans. Rolled for stats and one of the orphans rolled an 18 on STR and CHAR. I was thinking about just adding a feat called child that added negative modifiers to AS. Any suggestions for the negative modifiers that should be applied?
>>
File: Vampire (1).jpg (153KB, 818x603px) Image search: [Google]
Vampire (1).jpg
153KB, 818x603px
>>55384852
I'm looking to make it as immersive and atmospheric as possible, and I know a lot of that hinges on how I portray Strahd.

>>55384853
I think that'd be a terrible idea.
I don't wanna TPK them.

>>55384870
If I could live up to a Tim Curry performance I'd be in acting school, not medical school.
>>
>>55384948
You could just, you know, make their stats lower. You're the DM, you write the rules. Rolling for child stats is dumb unless magic.
>>
>>55384097
Onion druid? You mean an ogre?
>>
>>55384901
Yeah, I'm a DM now and I have one player who's just Randumb Evil, the Person. He's essentially just a murderhobo.

But decent evil can exist. I'd like to think I managed it - I only ever pulled a sword on one innocent and it was because the DM was screwing me into a corner. The rest of the time it was only ever manipulation.

The DM was actually super shit, but I had a grand plan I pulled together over several months and convinced even the other players to get involved in.

We ditched out on her campaign before I got to put it into action, which makes me sad, but she would have shat on it anyway, despite my covering every angle
>>
>>55384954
It doesn't have to be a 1:1 performance, everyone knows mine wasn't, but if you give it your best shot and have fun with it, then your players will as well.
>>
>>55384978
I see what you fucking did there.

In this case "onion druid" refers to a moon druid who repeatedly uses Wild Shape to gain hundreds of effective temporary hit points.
>>
>>55385010
Yeah, I try to be accommodating but if people start being dumb then there are consequences. If you can use speak with dead, you bet your ass the local clergy has at least one chump that can, hell even rangers or bounty hunters would be used to checking crime scenes.
>>
>>55385049
So you mean... layers of hit points?
>>
>>55384948
Are those orphans player characters (PCs)? If not, rolling stats is a bad idea. Are those orphans supposed to be special? If not, statting them equal to or above an average person might not be appropriate. What do you want to do with them?
>>
>>55385118
You can do the same thing with polymorph, just not quite as effectively.
>>
>>55385122
The idea was to roll for aptitude then apply negative modifiers. The PC wants to raise them. The session ended when the adopting finished so nothing has come into effect yet.
>>
>>55384853

LOLOL - Yes.

Here's a pawn sheet I generated for Storm Kings Thunder that includes a Shiny Vampire.
>>
Hey does anyone have a readable pdf of The Tortle Package?
>>
>>55381871
Remove that Arcane Dabbler from the Wu jen give it something else, fix the MAD of the immortal, lower the amount of discipline the mystic can take as they level and work on the wording of some the disciplines and we'll be fine.
>>
>>55385192
divide every stat by 2, thats it. 18/2=9
>>
>>55381203
Please tell me Phyrexia is involved. And Slivers.

That's the extent of my MTG/D&D bridging. I ran an adventure on a planet where Slivers were the dominant lifeforms.
>>
>>55381048
Yes, I'm playing a Kor gunslinger (the fighter archetype that Mercer put out) now. Actually today is the first session since we broke for the summer and I'm kind of unhappy with what my options are going forward since my DM doesn't like dips.
>>
File: 1505343485356.gif (2MB, 500x391px) Image search: [Google]
1505343485356.gif
2MB, 500x391px
>>55385316
>Using a homebrew
>Upset the DM doesn't like power gaming
Unless this "dip" is 100% narrative driven, which by you post obviously not, suck it up princess.
>>
>>55385243
>have 8 con
>child so con is halved, now have 4 con
>child levels up
>dies
>>
>>55381203
Please write up this thing as a giant home brew and get it online when it's done.
>>
>>55385355
REALISM HO
>>
>>55385344
It is narrative driven, the character has basically no magical aptitude but is now the champion of a god. I wanted a dip into paladin, cleric, or warlock to represent that while he still has no real aptitude there's a solid connection to her.
>>
>>55384954
You know what, by advising you I get better at my own CoS running do why not

1) How to Strahd
Tim Curry, David Bowie, or even Freddy Mercury, it doesn't matter. What matters is that you get into it.
Read the Stat blocks, breathe them in.

I'm pondering the possibility of even handing them over to an off session player that maneuvers Strahd to his own will without my players knowing
>>
>>55385435
You could always take the magic initiate feat then, there is a way to represent that other than a dip, or talk to your DM and swear on only a single level to reflect it.
>>
>First level in Gunsmith (VHuman)
>Crossbow Expert feat
>2-level fighter dip afterwards for some beefiness, Second Wind, Action Surge, and Archery Fighting style
>Walk around shotgunning people point blank like you don't give a FUCK
>>
>>55385465
Unfortunately I'm a filthy millenial and have way less exposure to all of the above than I should. But I'll be trying my best to make Strahd as compelling and hateable a villain as possible.
>>
>>55385574
Is it really worth taking a feat that you're only using one part of?
>>
>>55385635
If I'm having fun, it sure as shit is.
>>
>>55385660
But you could just stand 5 feet away from people for a similar effect and not waste a feat
>>
>>55385465
The cardinal rule of Villains is : The bad guy wants something and is having difficulty getting it.

What does the bad guy want? Ireena and an Heir

Why can't he get it The Dark Powers keep cocking things up for him and all these heirs suck

So when the heroes arrive Strahd is at the edge of victory but at the same, because of that, he is also about to be defeated for a generation.

The heroes change that. That's what the heroes are in Barovia, change. All these Barovia's Are a product of Strahd's mind which means when Strahd tortures them, he tortures himself
He is the fisher king so Barovia is part of his character, and journeying through the valley is like journeying through his mind.

When he makes an entrance, he makes that of a God. Nothing with mechanical effects, but things that betray his power.

Distant lightning, nature warps around him, shadows dance in his presence.
The sky opens when he falls from it and Shockwaves emanate from his anger.
He's got permanent Thaumaturgy on, in other words, and he can tell you don't.
>>
>>55385192
>The idea was to roll for aptitude then apply negative modifiers. The PC wants to raise them. The session ended when the adopting finished so nothing has come into effect yet.
I can't seem to find an answer to my question there. Are they supposed to be NPCs or PCs? What's your plan for those characters, DM? If you want to turn them into PCs later, ability scores are not very helpful now. If they grow up into adventurers later, let their future players roll stats.

If they are going to be NPCs exclusively, there's no reason for you to stat them unless you want to throw them into combat actions right in the next session. If you have no plan at all, do the same and treat them like new (social) NPCs.

You better skip on assigning stats for now. Spend a few minutes on DCs for certain social checks you might need, but that should be enough. The player are not going to see any stats anyway, so why bother?
>>
>>55385708
But more importantly you are what everything else is to Strahd. A valuable commodity.
He's a capitalist, our Strahd, and he knows if he destroys you he destroys the Supply side of the market and all he's left with is a bag of dicks.
So as an adventurer he knows you have power here in this land, after a fashion, and he's willing to slowly edge it out, putting as much effort in as he feels like he's getting out for the deal, and as long as he stays in the black, so to speak.
>>
>>55385490
Yeah, I think I'll do that. I was actually planning on maybe a two level dip if I could though cleric would probably only be one level. It would actually also have a huge mechanical effect since the god's brother is the BBEG and we were tasked with stopping him.
>>
File: Sorcerer Rework.pdf (2MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Sorcerer Rework.pdf
2MB, 1x1px
>>
>>55384369

Half-Human implies deficiency. Tanis explained this shit 30 years ago
>>
One more Strahd related question, how did you lot who've run it tie your characters in? It seems like the plot is random adventurers have been dragged into Barovia by Strahd, but it seems like it'd be a bit odd for your high fantasy protagonists to be running around in Gothic Horror land.
>>
>>55385707
DMs in this AL-like thing I'm in tend to favor dropping things in to melee range constantly anyhow. This is at least partly because of cool factor.

What would you suggest, Close Quarters Shooter style and the Sharpshooter feat or something instead?
>>
>>55385803
I had Ireena be in danger from the Death House as she accidentally fell prey to its machinations.
Strahd gratitude to adventurers manifests and he allows her a courtesy time to grieve as he rips a an ass hole into the durst
>>
someone mentioned that a certain sorcerer multiclass was super op. Anyone know which it was?
>>
>>55385992
Probably sorceror/warlock? Just burn your per encounter spells into spell points all day every day.
>>
>>55385992
Paladin 2/Sorcerer X is complete bullshit. I'm currently only level 8 and did 99 damage as a god damn bonus action. Shit is completely whack
>>
>>55386031
How? I though sorcadin is about burning slots for divine smite, but i don't see where the bonus action cames to play.
>>
>>55385745
My b. They are going to be NPCS and it's a 100% chance they get thrown in combat in the future.
>>
>>55386061
Use quicken to bonus action a greenflame blade/booming blade spell, got a crit, and used a 4th level spell to fuck up a boss monsters day.
>>
>>55386079
4th level spell slot on divine smite.
>>
How do i run nightstone? There are alot of buildings with even more goblins
>>
>>55386376
It worked out well for me, since my players interrogated a goblin about where the missing townsfolk were, and I had the goblin lie and tell them they all hid out inside the keep (across the broken bridge). I got this suggestion from one of the free guides on DM's guild.

So they got in a couple encounters, including the worgs, then met up with the guards in the keep, got info, then cleared the town with the help of the guards (as an "offscreen action' since we all knew it would be tedious and easy [6 players]).

Afterwards, dripping caves was a good time, and defending triboar was an absolute nightmare-slog. Look for ways to simplify the town defense if your players aren't super fast and capable with the game.
>>
>>55381981
Just cast Toll the Dying every round and move Spiritual Weapon around.
>>
>>55386453
I was considering just skipping triboar and the other towns all together
>>
>>55383155
Pretty sure sage advice clarified it also covers the ground.
>>
>>55386504
I would just come up with something original for the second act, it's complete nonsense and the whole "Running pre-written NPCs for the invasion" is incredibly awkward and confusing.

If it's not too late, just run Lost Mines of Phandelvar instead and then pick up from Act 3 in SKT.
>>
>>55386536
Since chapter 3 is pretty much just random encounters an sheit I was to just skip 2 and give my party a quest to take a long hike northward with lots of random enounters, have them meet harshnag one they're there and just head to the temple
>>
Did you do anything to the dwarves of your setting to make them visually distinctive? Elves, goblins etc. I've made my tweaks too, but I'm having trouble making dwarves more than just "short bearded people"
>>
>>55386585
You could make them angry drunken short bearded people
>>
>>55386603
Genius. Fund it.
>>
>>55381885
You're the only Extra Attacker who can use Healing Word, and you are a full caster to boot. So you can heal yourself and make a full attack each turn to keep yourself going, if you want. The only ones that comes close are Fighters (but only once with SW).
>>
I will give a Halfling longsword to one of my medium size players. The sword will be a shortsword for them of it is still a longsword?
>>
>>55386603
>people with short angry drunken beards
Sounds terrifying.
>>
>>55386652
A halfling longsword is still a longsword. Your second sentence is literally gibberish.
>>
File: dwarf6.gif (151KB, 490x594px) Image search: [Google]
dwarf6.gif
151KB, 490x594px
>>55386585
Tribal tattoos and warpaint.
>>
>>55386583
This is mostly fine but you need to figure out a way to get them to level 6 otherwise they're going to be positively annihilated by the Remorhaz in the temple.
>>
Hey guys I was trying to create a Dragonborn Warlock or a Half-Orc warlock, but I wasn't trying to make him evil. The options I have are very few, especially since the Fiend and Old One options derive their magic from a malefic source (fae is kinda wimpy looking, though). You guys got any recommendations?
>>
I want to use a hand crossbow and a shield, the only problem area is the wording (and sage advice) on the ammunition property
>Drawing the ammunition from a quiver, case, or other container is part of the attack
I'd argue that the shield hand is free enough to load the crossbow from a bolt case located at the hip or on the chest
>>
>>55386061
It's also about maximizing opportunities for Critting.
So you grab PAM, Haste, and so on and get to make 5 attacks on an enemy that enclosures to you and enjoy the 25% chance of Crits in which you dump Smites
>>
>>55386894
don't forget lucky to turn disadvantage into super advantage
>>
File: Cthulchu.jpg (29KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
Cthulchu.jpg
29KB, 600x450px
>>55386864
>Old one
>Evil
Old ones are inscrutable and mysterious first of all. Your character could have somehow glimpsed the Old One briefly - maybe, while reading a book containing things man is not mean to know, or by venturing too deep underground and having his mind touched. Or maybe he looted an ancient idol, which whispered into his sleep, giving him terrible nightmares.
One way or another, you were touched, and you will never be the same again.

Also, soon some fags will scream at you that fey are not wimpy, and you should be scared of them. Don't listen to them, fey are, in fact, wimpy invention of the weak and frightened Eternal Anglo. Manly cultures don't have legends about them.
>>
I'm about to run curse of Strahd and we're doing madam Eva.

I need the best plot driving treasure locations

My party is a Wizard, a Ranger and a Druid

Go!
>>
>>55386963
Book of Strahd at Argynvostholt, holy symbol of Ravenkind in Tsolenka Pass at the tower, Sun Blade in Sergei's grave.
>>
>>55386959
Neat. You sound like a guy who could write for the PHB fluff.

I tried to wiki the Old Ones on D&D wiki with not a lot of details. Are there any cool stories about the Old Ones my Google-fu isn't fetching
>>
>>55386864
Fey isn't weak, it's probably better than Old One.
Old One doesn't need to be evil, the patron might not even be aware that it's given power away since it's such an ancient and distant being.
Fiend doesn't have to be evil, either- your guy could have pledged his soul in exchange for someone else's safety or something similar, and his patron could have him eliminating rival demons, or his rivals' followers in a sort of proxy war.
>>
>>55386959
Or venturing too far out to sea, I hear the lost city of R'yleh bobs up and down like a yoyo out there
>>
Can someone show me the atropal pic if there is one?
>>
>>55386993
>Cool stories about the old ones
A lot of Lovecraft's stories are Old One based, as he pretty much invented them. Try Call of Cthulu first, also The Crawling Chaos for a fun glimpse at our dear friend Nyarlohotep
>>
>>55387019
The new one looks like a plush toy, you only need the old 3,5 ones that actually look disturbing.
>>
>>55386869
It was erratad exactly to prevent handcrossbow + shield, even if that meant it would prevent handcrossbow + handcrossbow, and handcrossbow + weapon.
>>
File: Bandit.png (565KB, 801x500px) Image search: [Google]
Bandit.png
565KB, 801x500px
>>55386993
Old Ones are Lovecraft mythos-lite. They are Cthulchu, Nyarlathotep, the Blackness from the Stars, Shub-Niggurath and the King in Yellow, but watered down.
In DnD, they are often associated with stars. Like, stars are actually malevolent, alien things, which is why 4e equivalent of great old ones pact was the Star Pact.

You could also try playing Darkest Dungeon. It handles the thing pretty well.
>>
>>55386869
>I'd argue
Argue with your DM, then. I think Crawford would disagree, but ultimately, it is your DM's word that matters most. I can imagine some DMs would allow you.
>>
>>55387071
where can I find the errata text?
>>
A flesh golem is challenge rating 5, but I think my party of 3 level 4 heroes - a ranger, druid and rogue - can take one on if they play it right. Am I retarded? If so, how retarded?
>>
>>55387070
That's why I wanted to see it, and compare it with the 3.5 one.
Oh well.
>>
>>55386585
In my setting all their knowledge comes from ancient warforged, dwarves merely improved on what they were taught by their masters.
>>
What do you guys think of adding in a buckler? It would be a shield that allows you to use the hand as normal but only gives +1 AC.
>>
>>55387106
Action economy is certainly not on the golem's side.
>>
>>55387106
If they don't face many/any other combats that day, and they're not idiots, they should be OK.
>>
>>55387144
Against the design philosphy of 5e. Also, AC creep. If you dual wield, why would you NOT want to use a buckler?
>>
>>55387086
>>55387063
Shit, spelt Nyarlahotep wrong. The one time an Old One actually uses vowels and I screw it up, what are the odds?
>>
>>55386963
Tome of Strahd is at Wachterhaus
Holy Symbol of Ravenkind is at Krezk, Sergei raises it in his hand Excalibur style
The Sunsword is at the bottom of Lake Zarovich
>>
>>55387154
>>55387165
This is what I was thinking. If the rogue runs in and dies instantly, well, that's his fault
>>
>>55387178
Sorry, meant to include that the hand can't be used for a weapon/weapons in the hand would have disadvantage and cost the AC for the round if they aren't ranged. It's to factor in the fact that you can use a bow and a small shield.
>>
>>55387106
Rested and prepared group can pull out some amazing burst damage, casters especially.
Challenge rating X doesn't mean it is too difficult or risky for group of X-th level heroes, but that it will cost them some resources.

The game is balanced about 6-8 encounters in adventuring day with about two short rests. Imagine 6 flesh golems one after one going after your group. Suddenly it's not that easy, is it?

Also, sinlge creature is usually going to suffer in fight with party, unless said creature have legendary actions. If one side has significantly more actions than the other, it is really different.
>>
>>55387086
>Many fall in the face of chaos, but not this one!... not today.
So many good lines from that game
>>
>>55387248
The narration is like 50% of the game.
>>
>>55387071
>>55387097
I just read it, seems almost pointless to practically remove the appeal of the handcrossbow, slash at one enemy with your longsword in one hand and fire at a distant occupied foe with the other
crossbow master is written in such a way to encourage you to do the above, and yet, ammunition says you can't
>>
>>55387285
Technically that works fine, you can freely drop your sword, reload, and object interaction to pick it back up
>>
>>55387310
Both of those are object interactions, and you need to use your action to do a second object interaction.
>>
>>55387246
So basically, as a guide, a party of 3 level fours should roughly be able to handle 4-5 level 4 encounters per day if they rest appropriately?
>>
>>55387285
The mechanical appeal of the hand crossbow is that it does bonkers damage with crossbow master's extra attack and sharpshooter's -5/+10. It's like the ranged equivalent of dueling quarterstaff PAM. Not flavorful or probably intended, but numerically hard to beat.
>>
>>55384742
I just divide into battalions, take their DnD statblock, divide everything by 3 (so I can use D6) and follow other rules normally. Depending upon how big the battle is I treat every 10/20/50/100 dudes as one increment statblock (so e.g. 50 Knights with Multi attack generate 2 attack dice D6)
>>
>>55386963
The Tome at Van Richten's Tower, the sword somewhere in ravenloft, the symbol at the bottom of the werewolfs Den. The last one is particularly important because if not that shit is beyond useless
>>
>>55387365
Reloading isn't an object interaction
>>
>>55387365
The consequences are awkward, but letting go of items is not an action (aka it's a free action)
>>
>>55387260
Been half tempted to try and run a campaign kinda based around the same theme. Group of adventurers return home due to letters of oddities happening, they have to explore the local area to clear it out and figure out how to stem the tide of otherworldly things.
>>
>>55387377
>>55387246
"Encounters" per day aren't necessarily combat, just things that burn resources for the party. If your Wizard has to use a few spells for utility (non-rituals), your fighter had to use his Action Surge to catch up to a fleeing pickpocket, or your Ranger had to burn through a couple of Primeval Awarenesses to find the dragon, those are "encounters" too.
>>
>>55387445
What the hell do you call it then?
>>
File: semisunken forrest.jpg (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
semisunken forrest.jpg
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>55387144
>>55387244
I can see the appeal.

>>55387377
I don't think so.
I suggest checking DMG, p. 81-82.
>>
>>55387423
-5+10 strikes again
The game would be better off without them
>>
>>55387474
Ok I think I'm getting it now, although I think even if they threw everything they had into the encounter and didn't mind dying a level 8 would wipe the floor with them multiple times
>>
>>55387528
Probably something similar to how drawing an arrow doesn't use your object interaction
>>
whats the best tabletop rule set for playing in a setting similar to D&D? See a lot of people bashing on D&D and it'd be cool if there was some sort of resource listing alternatives, their strengths and weaknesses.
>>
File: This.jpg (58KB, 536x400px) Image search: [Google]
This.jpg
58KB, 536x400px
>>55382042
>>
>>55387528
Reloading is part of the attack action
>>
>>55387445
Don't hate the player, just hate the game. If they wanted it to work properly they would have just ruled it differently or made an errata, just like they should have made grappler functional. Dropping an item isn't on the list, but in the index it tells you to go to the same place as drawing/sheathing a weapon as if it was obvious. It also says the same for ammunition, so maybe the game is telling us you can't shoot more than twice in a turn.
>draw or sheathe a weapon. See objects: using during combat
>drop an object. See objects: using during combat
>reloading. See weapon properties: ammunition See also objects: using during combat; weapon Rroperties: loading
This is why rule systems should have more lines that suggest common sense for it's limitations, object interactions being heavily codified doesn't fit 5e anyway.
>>
>>55387537
I just have but it seems to be a section on riddles?
>>
File: previewD6NJ6Y.pdf (1MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
previewD6NJ6Y.pdf
1MB, 1x1px
>>55387582
>best tabletop rule set
Depends on what you want from it to do.

>for playing in a setting similar to D&D?
Dungeons and Dragons 5th edition is probably your best bet.

>See a lot of people bashing on D&D
Yea, that is often because those people use DnD rules for something they weren't intended.
>>
>>55387615
It doesn't seem to me, see >>55387712
>>
Giving my lvl 6 party 2 magic swords with bonifications in the attack. They will get it after killing a dragon. Should this weapons be +2 or +1 is fine? (they are their first weapons with bonifications to the attack)
>>
>>55387726
What the sack, that's completely different from mine! I'm reading from the 5e dungeon master's guide (or at least I think so), what's this from? Also thanks!
>>
Anons, how can a legendary artifact, I'm talking One Ring level of legendary, be split from it's owner? Give me some ideas.
>>
>>55387738
+1. +2 is for 11+
>>
>>55387799
Dedigitification
>>
>>55387799
depends on everything.

If it's the One Ring, the first time it required an epic hero to wrestle the owner to the ground and cut it off of him. Subsequent owners were a lot easier to steal from.
>>
Ranged martials are more and more starting to feel like a trap
Your fighting style gets you accuracy where as all the melee styles get damage in some form
Your damage to elementals/lycans etc is likely gimped due to many published adventures and some dms forgetting that magic ammunition exists
Your biggest dice is a d8 without feats and a d10 with them
And your damage dissapears entirely if you run out of "material components"
And all you get for this trouble is a range that you're unlikely to use in part because of the very name of the game you're playing
Dungeons
Generally don't have a lot of big open spaces for you to snipe in
Am i wrong?
>>
Is the Critical Role book any good?
>>
>>55385977
Gothic fantasy bruh. Think Dark Souls or Diablo.
>>
>>55387738
A magic weapon does not necessarily need to be plus anything. Just the fact that a weapon is magic makes a big difference, as a magic weapon of any kind can get through almost all damage resistance. Look at the magic weapons in the DMG and notice how not all of them give any kind of bonus to attack rolls.
>>
>>55385964
But being half an elf is a deficiency.
>>
>>55387848
>Am i wrong?
very much so.
>Your fighting style gets you accuracy where as all the melee styles get damage in some form
accuracy is superior to a damage bonus, especially when combined with sharpshooter feat
>Your damage to elementals/lycans etc is likely gimped due to many published adventures and some dms forgetting that magic ammunition exists
your magic bow/crossbow makes the ammunition count as magical
>Your biggest dice is a d8 without feats and a d10 with them
yes you get an average -1 to -3 damage in exchange you get to hit from range
>And your damage dissapears entirely if you run out of "material components"
your material components are cheap and plentiful, if you run out, it is because you are a moron.
>And all you get for this trouble is a range that you're unlikely to use in part because of the very name of the game you're playing
Dungeons Generally don't have a lot of big open spaces for you to snipe in
you don't need big open spaces, just enough room to shoot.
>>
>>55387876
They have a dagger that has some magic properties and will have a much bigger role in the future. But I want this 2 new weapons to have bonifications.
>>55387804
Okey, I will do that. They will be pretty happy
>>
>>55387537
Yeah, I've always found it dumb that 5e didn't think of including a minor AC boost like that. It wouldn't even really affect the bounded AC since the builds it's useful on are ranged dex builds which would cap out at 20 AC (+3 studded leather with max dex) which is the same as mundane full plate and a shield which would go on somebody that probably has higher con and hit die.
>>
>>55387848
If the weapon is magic, the ammunition doesn't need to be.

And ranged weapons are amazing in cramped dungeons because cramped dungeons make it hard to engage in melee. Often you have to fight single file. A ranged martial (with Sharpshooter, of course) can attack from anywhere to anywhere without having to worry about navigating terrain, not being able to move through enemies, or not having a proper place to stand. And of course if your'e outdoors you can shoot things from so far away that it really feels unfair. Even the spellcasters will have to wait several rounds for the enemy to close distance while you shoot arrows from two football fields away.

Also, archery is the best fighting style in the game. It's one of the few ways you can increase your attack rolls in an edition with bounded accuracy. A small amount of extra damage is nothing compared to the difference between a hit and a miss.

You're an idiot.
>>
>>55387915
Then make them +1 so you have somewhere to go from here.

Also, I think the word you're looking for is "bonus."
>>
For a pretty long time I completely ignored mystic due to seeing over 30 pages of class, but now I'm looking at the immortal disciplines and it looks super fun. Anybody here play an immortal before? How was it?
>>
New DM here needing some tips
I'm planning on running Lost Mine of Phandelver into Curse of Strahd for my players.
1 - Is this a good idea or should I skip the Lost Mine?
2 - How should I go from one adventure to the other?
>>
I ignored the mystic ua for a while due to it being 30 pages of what looks to be an autistic snowflake class, but after reading up on order of the immortal, it looks like I could use it to play an old as fuck master of battle type character, pic related. Has anyone here played an immortal, how was it?
>>
>>55387851
More than people will give it credit for, which isn't that much.
It's got one thing over other homebrews,, as in volume of playtesting.

>>55387799
The ring is sentient and unhappy with its current owner, even if still bound to it.
It can manifest as an image in a potential new masters mind across many sessions slowly seducing him into accepting it.
It tells him that it will consent to be taken from his new master upon a certain deal, but it's up to the individual to figure out how.
You usually can't teleport items worn by other creatures. Maybe this one you can.

If not you can just cast heat metal on it.
Maybe he won't take it off, but it sure will be very persuasive
>>
>>55386585
dwarves = neanderthals
>>
>>55388009
Do House of Death my friend
>>
I'm running SKT right now and in the Eye of the All-Father (level 7 party) one of the magic items up for grabs is a +2 Breastplate.

Isn't that a little too good for a party that level?
>>
>>55387848
What the others said but also keep in mind that a max dex longbow user will have an EV of 9.5 (d8 EV=4.5 + 5 from dex) per hit ignoring crits and they're probably going to hit on average 1.5 times a turn for about 14.25 damage. Compare that to a melee character who's hitting on average 1.25 times a turn for about 10.5 damage (d10+5) you'll edge them out slightly or 13.125 damage a turn. This gets dumber if you throw in magic items which can turn the ranged into certain hits as well as the fact that you can hit when others need to spend a turn or two closing you'll out damage everything but the casters and anybody who keeps critting.
>>
>>55388009
1. It's not a bad idea. Curse of Strahd assumes they'll start at level 3, so they may have an easier time at the beginning if they made it all the way to level 5.

2: the traditional way to get to Ravenloft is through magical mists that dump you there. Maybe they get back to Phandalin to see it covered in mist and people evacuating because many citizens who went out in the mist, including people the PCs like, have disappeared without a trace.
>>
>>55388149
As an added note this can get way worse. My gunslinger fighter (due to magic item bullshit) is at +11 to hit (using sharpshooter) and doing 1d12+20 per hit so I'm doing an average of 2d12+40 a turn which has an EV of 53 damage a turn.
>>
>>55388215
Talisen, what are you doing posting on 4chan?
>>
>>55387144
A buckler is a designed for dueling, so make it give +2 ac but only from melee attacks.
>>
>>55388231
He misses without misfiring on things others can hit, I don't. My DM fucked up bad especially with the max range on the magic rifle he gave me (nigh infinite).
>>55388275
Archers and some early riflemen used them as well. They're good for when your main concern is not getting hit by returned fire as well as when you may but aren't meant to end up in melee. That's why I went for a straight +1.
>>
File: curse ring.jpg (76KB, 736x736px) Image search: [Google]
curse ring.jpg
76KB, 736x736px
I am kind of stuck. I have a player that joined the party for the gold, but now gold is not what drives the party but a reccomendation for the gods and also saving the kingdom from destruction. This character doesnt have any realistic drive to be in the party, I mean he doesnt want the kingdom to be aniquilated but he doesnt care as much as the other players whose background has close relationship with the mision. How should I make him a bit more important, with more reason to be in the party?
I am thinking about a curse or something alike that can only be broken completing the campaing with the party butb I am not 100% convinced by this. Do you have any suggestions on what could be the curse? Or in any alternative to make him more driven into the mision?
>>
>>55388381
Rather than.make up a dumb curse and a dumb reason why Remove Curse doean't work on it, have him maybe actually give a shit about someone or something that is in danger. Or just have him realize that the end of the world is bad for business.
>>
>>55388381
Following>>55388454
You could promise him a huge amount of money
I mean god have loadofmoneyz
>>
Could someone please post the stats for Xandala?
>>
>>55388381
What level is he?
>>
>>55388381
Talk with the player and find out if their character is still motivated to work with the party. Maybe they've started to care about the kingdom or at least for their party? Or perhaps they have found they're own reason to stay with them? Regardless, you should work with them for maintaining character motivation. If they're cool with the curse idea then go for it, but some players don't appreciate having things like that forced onto their character.
>>
Does anyone know of any homebrew that involves creating and/or commanding constructs? Kind of like the UA Artificer's mechanical servant but with some progression and on a class that isn't wonky as fuck.
It's for a two-party good vs evil game, we're using some broken shit so even if it's op or DnDwiki I can fix it.
>>
>>55388381
part of being a greedy asshole is self preservation, id leave him alone

if you really want to fuck with him though, make him dig his own grave. Set a trap with a golden busy in a dungeon or something, and have it curse him with the Midas touch when he tries to steal it
>>
>>55387930
If there's people standing in front of your target, you do take a penalty to your accuracy. But otherwise do agree.
>>
WHERE IS THE ADVENTURE
>>
Are Mystics better than Wizards?
>>
>>55388454
>>55388471
This sounds more like it.
>>55388507
lvl 6
>>55388536
yeah, I will talk to him after next session.
>>55388552
I was thiking in the Midas touch but as the other anons say it will be better to not impouse curses on the players.
>>
>>55388125
Where is it? Worn by an adversary? Very hidden in some secret area?
Out in the open for anyone to nab?
If 1, judge that the item is worthless since it was mangled trying to kill the villain.
If 2, give it to them if they think to search it out and succeed. Make it more than just a general perception check though.
If 3, wow that's poor design.
>>
>>55388616
Out there, you just gotta go and find it buddy.
>>
Hm, first session of CoS went interestingly (8 hour session). Ended on the party having dinner with Strahd after getting Ismark and Ireena halfway to Vallaki.

Dinner went sour as the players stormed out and Strahd continued to observe their personalities and what not. But, just a quick question.

What is a devilishly evil way to fuck with the party's LG Paladin who devotes himself to self-sacrifice? So far, Strahd is seeing him as the greatest challenge as the other characters are scared shitless, but not him.
>>
File: ADVENTURE.png (252KB, 717x533px) Image search: [Google]
ADVENTURE.png
252KB, 717x533px
>>55388616
>>
>>55388659
>If 1, judge that the item is worthless since it was mangled trying to kill the villain.
Magic item can't be detroyed or worn out that easily
>If 3, wow that's poor design.
You are full of shit
>>
>>55388381
1) you could just retire the character. Let them do off pannel missions and just be there for the party should they ever have need of him again

2) You could use your God damned imagination

>Sir! Sir, I'm sorry sir. We have discuss a few things
>Yes those assassins you have been targeted lately. Yes sir, well, this is rather a little but embarrassing, I admit, but it turns out you have accidentally became the Baron of Bedegar
>Yes sir, the one who died. You killed him in the melee, and took his shield.
>Yes, he had no heirs, and well, you also killed his wife, and I'm afraid the right of Conquest was never really abolished in Bedegar, what with the previous Baron also well... You know, also favoring the "aggressive merger" style of diplomacy
>What it means? Well, I guess you're absurdly rich now. Reckon you might need it what to maintain all that land. It's just well, sir, let's say, for your health... I wouldn't recommend you straying too long or far from a mighty group of friends.
>Pass on the title? Ahum well, I guess, but most people don't really, you see, all the assassins...
>Yes, you're a little buggered. Sorry.
>>
>>55388685
Strahd is a mix between Tim Curry, David Bowie, and William Daphoe

Make it loud, make it maniacal, make it beautiful.

Or make none of it and have a bad guy covered in babies running around town killing people
>>
>>55388599
Not with Sharpshooter
>>
Tg I'm creating a list of custom spells in Curse of Strahd and one of them is Lycanthropy

I'm outsourcing the game balance to you on this one. You'll tell me to go fuck myself or you could help me out with this challenge.
Yes I'm entirely aware of the problem of lycan Pc's, but there's no reason we can't bastardize Polymorph in some way that won't make this interesting

It can be at most a 6th level spell so adjust accordingly
>>
File: 1505227149527.jpg (27KB, 350x335px) Image search: [Google]
1505227149527.jpg
27KB, 350x335px
>>55388774
>Or make none of it and have a bad guy covered in babies running around town killing people
God damnit
>>
File: 1504653039523.png (347KB, 453x311px) Image search: [Google]
1504653039523.png
347KB, 453x311px
>>55388874
>Hey this bad idea that I know is a bad idea, help me make it
Fuck off
>>
I'm having a hard time figuring out how to make encounters more interesting. My boss monsters are interesting, but when it comes to the in-between boss fight encounters it's just fodder. What do I do?
>>
>>55388973
Add lieutenants and shit like that, people who aren't as good as the boss but are a step up the rabble.
>>
Anyone else running ToA worried that setting 70% of the games encounters in a open jungle enviroment is just going to result in the players avoiding everything? I know I could have them be ambushed but how many times can I justify that happening per week?
>>
>>55388874
Make it a level 1 spell lycanthropy isnt that good :)
>>
>>55388993
Please elaborate more, I also plan on running it for my friends.
>>
>>55388125
No its fine.
>>
>>55389026
My concern is that with almost all the objectives the PCs might be trying to reach being in such open, middle of nowhere areas, there is really no incentive to fight when you can just walk around everything or hide. Obviously the scripted fights and dungeons are fine but where's the fun of just walking around a jungle that poses no actual threat to you?
>>
>>55388699
It's armor, dude. It's going to get pounded, stabbed, scorched, etc in trying to kill the adversary wearing it.
And how is "here's a +2 breastplate just lying out in the open for any thief or adventurer to run off with" not poor design?
It's SKT so I'm not bashing anon's stuff.
>>
>>55389131
When they come upon an encounter don't have the creatures just standing around, have them scouting and run into the party or something.
>>
>>55388874
Lycanthropy is a curse, not a spell.
>>
>>55389131
Somehow incentivize them?
>>
>>55389146
It isnt just out in the open, takes a fairly complex puzzle that will kill you if you mess it up to get to it. And it is basically a worse version of half plate. And no its magical armor, they don't get scuffed dinged or degrade at all.
>>
>>55389150
Right, but how is that really better than an ambush? It's fine now and again but how many times can your 17 perception cleric suddenly bumble into a hoard of zombies
>>
>>55389196
If both parties see each other at the same time it's not an ambush. And per PHB rules, unless they are traveling at a slow pace in order to stealth, it's most likely parties will see each other at the same time.
>>
>>55388874
If you insist on making it a spell, it should be one of the options for Bestow Curse.

Lycantropy is a *curse,* not a fun combat boost. Especially in a horror setting like Ravenloft, it should be treated as a serious problem. When a player character lycanthrope changes under a full moon, that character should become an NPC until dawn and not remember anything that happened, much less have any control during that time. And if that character embraces the curse by changing voluntarily of their own free will, then the beast starts to take over even in humanoid form and the character eventually becomes an NPC permanently.
>>
>>55389343
Wouldn't lycanthropes eventually fall under Strahd's control?
>>
>>55389277
Ah, I guess if its in the PHB and I'm upfront with it it's all fair game.

Thanks for the help, I'll definitely have to reread the travel speed stuff for this book.
>>
If somebody fell on a punji stake (Basically think wooden spike pit daubed in excrement) what rolls would be involved? A hidden Con roll to avoid debilitating infections the day after perhaps?
>>
>>55389469
I'd hope a dex save to avoid falling in
>>
>>55389469
Dex roll for half damage imo
>>
>>55389377
In Barovia, sure, maybe, if the Dark Powers will it. That wouldn't change anything I said, though.
>>
>>55389484
That too, but assuming they get poked with the poo?
>>55389487
half damage on the initial spiking yes, but what of the shit-related diseases?
>>
>>55389535
A con roll would work fine
>>
>>55389469
>>55389535
There are rules for disease in the DMG
>>
>>55389545
Or what, no HP renewal over short/long rests until boosted with magical healing?
>>
>>55389556
>Reading the DMG
>>
New thread lads:
>>55389616
>>55389616
>>55389616
>>
>>55385256
New Phyrexia is fucked up man. I made a statline for the Phyrexian Obliterator that's more or less a souped-up Revenant. Once it detects a planeswalker it will endlessly follow their trail, and it always knows where they are. If it hasn't found new prey it even knows when they planeswalk away and back in.

There's also rules for being poisoned to death by glistening oil.
>>
>>55389566
Or you catch a disease. May I recommend filth fever.
>>
>>55389584
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFtcLJVN8yg
>>
File: 1504780059279.jpg (29KB, 412x430px) Image search: [Google]
1504780059279.jpg
29KB, 412x430px
>>55381904
>Forced alignment
Thread posts: 375
Thread images: 31

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.