[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 368
Thread images: 38

File: ;_;.jpg (53KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
;_;.jpg
53KB, 600x600px
D&D 5th Ed. General Discussion Thread

>Unearthed Arcana: Eladrin and Gith
https://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-Eladrin-Gith.pdf

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Alternate Trove:
https://dnd.rem.uz/5e%20D%26D%20Books/

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previous thread: >>55369639

How do you store your dice?
>>
>>55376120
I store my dice inside of a plastic bag because I couldn't afford a comfy felt bag
>>
Why is D&D 5e's logo an ampersand? Was some intern doing his typey types on the keyboard and somehow hit & instead of 5?
>>
Does Arcane Trickster need a focus to ignore a spell's material components?
>>
>>55376120
Does anyone else get paid to DM? If so how much?
>>
So why is ToA so shit?
>>
>>55376119
God Damn it. All I want is a fully featured character generator for a reasonable price!

Yes, I know about the one on DMs Guild but it doesn't have all of the UA in it
>>
>>55376168
>D&D
>D&
>&

I fucking wonder.
>>
>>55376120
I have 5 mixed sets in a microfiber glasses bag, its got a draw string and all that so it works. I usually throw that bag at whoever forgot/doesnt have their own die yet and tell them to grab a set. I have a 2 matching sets that I keep in a small plastic chest I found at goodwill that I use for DMing
>>
>>55376195
Why isn't there a dungeon in the logo then?
>>
File: Sorcerer Rework.pdf (2MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Sorcerer Rework.pdf
2MB, 1x1px
>>55376120
I use a crown royal bag and an old cookie tin.
>>
>>55376120
I've got a handful of different bags for different styles of dice; using that promo green devil dice bag from Yawning Portal's release for any sets I get buy from WotC directly. I also have an Employee Manual for my Acquisitions Inc. dice.
>>
>>55376207
The ampersand is a dungeon layout.
>>
>>55376207
its a dungeon in the shape of a complex ampersand ouroboros
>>
>>55376177
The dream
>>
>>55376159
What's lame about the starting area in ToA?
>>
>>55376120
ToA leak album
https://imgur.com/a/iglMj
>>
>>55376177
I've thought of looking into it, but mentioning tends to elicit some less than pleasant reactions

How much are you paid?
>>
>>55376177
This is a disgusting practice and I will not respect anyone who either pays for a DM or charges to be one.
>>
File: 1474141720553.jpg (11KB, 236x170px) Image search: [Google]
1474141720553.jpg
11KB, 236x170px
>>55376207
I hope you're just trolling and aren't actually this retarded.
>>
>>55376177
You better not be a huge autist.
>>
>>55375695
Do you think anatomic combat's Called Shot feature needs tweaking? +5 to enemy AC for a guaranteed crit if it lands feels far too strong.
>>
>>55376243
In ToA there is exactly one city, which means that 95% of all the Characters lore and interesting shit is concentrated into one spot. Apart from this been A DM's worst fucking nightmare in terms of trying to prep, your players will inevitably start getting bogged down with lore, trying to remember dozens on silly African names, and side quests very early on. And all this is before you ever see a single monster.
>>
>>55376263
I don't know about disgusting, but it seems really unappealing to me. I can't really imagine a game where the DM wouldn't be there if he wasn't getting paid, but it sounds like shit
>>
>>55376120
I have a old round plastic container that's used for gumballs. Over half way full now
>>
>>55376211
Do you let Sorcerers use the Wizard spell list instead? I have heard of people doing this.
>>
>>55376252
>>55376263
>>55376274
My bad, I didnt mean to imply wages, I was more thinking about starting up costs. My players cover the price of two books whenever we start something new and I was wondering if this was a standard practice.
>>
>>55376381
Maybe it's just because I've only ever played with friends, so I see this as someone suddenly turning to their friends and saying "hey! Give me money to hang out with you guys!"
>>
>>55376424
Usually players buy their own books. Why should they buy yours for you?
>>
https://twitter.com/ChrisPerkinsDnD/status/908122115991207937
>>
>>55376424
A one time payment for a DnD book doesn't really seem like something worth passing around the collection tray for. Just make them pay for pizza a couple times or whatever
>>
>>55376424
Oh, gotcha

Me and my friends I used to play Pathfinder with would often buy adventure modules for each other to DM, so I'd imagine it's not an abnormal practice
>>
>>55376424
Do you play with friends?
>>
>>55376439
I dont really see why you would need me to explain this to you, but if you pay a fifth of a books cost you're the one who gets to enjoy playing it, not your DM who is also investing shitloads more time into your enjoyment than you are.
>>
>>55376423
Always. There is absolutely no reason to keep them separate except for shitty "flavor". The Sorcerer getting Wizard spells doesn't make them overpowered, they're still worse than Wizards in almost every situation that's not pure blasting.
>>
Reposting from old thread:

RAW, when a monster moves out of the reach of a two-weapon-fighting PC, the PC only gets to swing at the monster one time with just one of his weapons, right? I'm pretty sure the rules imply this but want to confirm.

...Also, do you think the additional attack feature in the following houserule DW buff would be atrociously OP:

Dual Wielder feat - in addition to the regular benefits (though, minor nerf, offhand weapon must be light), you can simultaneously forgo your reaction and bonus action this round to attack one additional time with your offhand weapon, with no smites or other special added effects on that blow. Your standard offhand attacks no longer consume your bonus action.
>>
>>55376423
No, I usually see people hating on that. I don't think it really hurts anything, but for consistency with other UA classes I included am origin feature that grants them spells that I feel fit the theme that they don't otherwise have access to.
>>
>>55376263
I'm sorry, Jim, but you've got to pay if you want to play. It wouldn't be fair to everyone else. 15 dollars isn't a lot to ask for my magnificent entertainment.
>>
>>55376423
I always assumed the biggest reason sorcerers had a smaller list was so they were forced to pick at least some of the useful pure combat spells. I don't think there's much reason to not just let them pick from the wizard list if the player isn't retarded
>>
>>55376454
I thought it was going to be free :/
>>
What are the consequences of living in a land below a floating continent? I mean, I imagine rocks/dirt/etc frequently coming loose and raining on you and your house must suck, and the sun being blocked out a good bit of the time must have some strange effects. What else may happen because of something like this?
>>
>>55376423
In my game, Elemental Evil spells are not part of the spell list for anyone except sorcerers. This way, they have unique spells and some more flavor/power thereby (every other caster has unique spells).
>>
>>55376177
I work at a LGS in my town, and on the week nights I wokr I dm some Adventurer's league, so I guess I'm paid to dm, but I'd do it fo free desu
>>
>>55376170
Yes. This isn't really a problem for AT because of:
>booming blade
>disengage
>they either eat shit, and you do equivalent of dual wielding DPR, or they do a sub par ranged action
>you only need one weapon for that so your other hand can use a focus
Beyond that you can just gloss over it.
>>
>>55376523
They mentioned from the start that all proceeds go to their Extra Life, so it was always going to cost money.
>>
>>55376494
What if dual wielding only changed the attack action by combining the dice from each weapon without adding the ability score twice?
For example someone with 16 dex using two daggers would just roll once for 2d4+3 for an attack. I have no idea what to do with the fighting style though
>>
Anyone here had some success with removing Battlemaster as a class or reworking it and just giving every fighter subclass maneuvers? I tried this once in a game and it made things other than Battlemaster actually playable
>>
>>55376120
So to anyone who has read Tomb of Annihlation, how are you meant to fight Acerack without dying immedietly, or is he an optional encounter that you can avoid?
>>
File: atacamamoonvalley.jpg (3MB, 2048x1366px) Image search: [Google]
atacamamoonvalley.jpg
3MB, 2048x1366px
>>55376525
No rain. No grass. It's cold (~50-65'F) thanks to sun shading. Temperature differential at the light boundary creates a constant breeze which shifts as the sun moves across the sky. Low temperature, lack of precepitation, and lack of moisture-retaining plants leads to desertification. Constant wind from multiple directions and coarse ground carves exposed rock faces and whatever drops from the continent.

Life sucks. Move.
>>
>>55376525
Runoff water, from rivers and rain. Imagine a waterfall making it's way over your home
>>
>>55376525
Underdark creatures frequently coming to the surface. Suicides from the continent above. occasionally some wizard breaks gravity and almost kills everyone beneath it by dropping the whole continent on them, so far it's been saved every time though.
>>
>>55376594
Drop the ceiling on him, blast him with siege weaponry that you've drug through the place, or provoke him into using Counterspell so he burns his reaction, then immediately donk on his ass with four Fighters.
>>
>>55376594
Not him, is Acecerak the Strahd of this adventure?
>>
>>55376594
Reposting from previous thread:

Acerak won't come out and attack until after the Atropal dies, and even then, he runs off and flees when he has only 100hp left. In addition, any player possessed by a trickster god (which has various added bonuses like temporarily boosting a character score to 23, as well as whatever the magic item they inhabit does) gets 50 temporary hit points each turn and does an extra 3d6 psychic against Acerak.
>>
>>55376594
From what I can tell, you can't avoid fighting him at some point. Granted, it'll be at higher levels. In addition, if you explore the dungeon well enough, you'll end up fighting him with some pretty damn nifty powers that should help close the power gap. But it'll still be a rather tough battle.
>>
do you guys have any place you go to get maps?
all the good shit on roll20 is locked behind a paywall and google images is hit and miss
>>
>>55376474
Isn't the DM having fun too? If so then it's entirely on them to provide their own materials. And if not they're going to be a shit DM so they're DEFINITELY not going to be worth any money. Also, why would someone pay for somebody to run a premade game? Or do you mean a dmg and mm which every self-respecting non-reprobate person who enjoys the hobby has anyway.
And should this DM chip in should the dming responsibilities get picked up by another group member for a later game?

Seriously, what kind of passionless d&d are you people playing?
>>
>>55376633
Dragon+ magazine.
>>
>>55376626
>possession thing
Is this a specific entity in the book or are we saying any thing of that type works? Because trickster gods suck and I'd rather kill Acy without the help of some chaotic random faggot. Gimme help from a decent God if we gotta go that route
>>
>>55376633
I draw my own. Sometimes in paint, sometimes on graph paper then scan it in.
>>
>>55376494
Attacking with an offhand weapon uses a bonus action. You can only use a bonus action on your turn.

The feat is clunky and poorly worded and would allow the player to make 3 additional attacks, as freeing up the bonus action, by RAW, allows them to make an off-handed attack as a bonus action, so long as they used an attack action with a melee weapon. Don't add extra stipulations and limitations. Burning up a reaction is a big enough sacrifice. Requiring 2 feats to make something viable is bad design. If you're intent on allowing for a 3rd attack, I'd just add another bullet point to the TWF feat so it reads as follows:

>You master fighting with two weapons, gaining the following benefits:
>• You gain a +1 bonus to AC while you are wielding a separate melee weapon in each hand.
>• You can use two-weapon fighting even when the one-handed melee weapons you are wielding aren't light.
>• You can draw or stow two one-handed weapons when you would normally be able to draw or stow only one.
>• When you use a bonus action to attack a creature with an off-hand melee weapon, you may use your reaction to strike again using the same weapon.

>>55376586
That's bad and you should feel bad.
>>
>>55376344
>two major cities with multiple smaller towns throughout
>you TRAVEL to the starting city, you are even conscripted off of the main continent
>loads of characters that do not have lore constrained to the starting port city, what are you even talking about
>decidedly more Amazonian in feel than African if you have even an elementary understanding of world history
the fuckin retard reeking off of your /pol/ tier post. hope to never come across a tabletop with someone of your caliber sitting at it
>>
>>55376596
Actually, if we're talking about a giant fucking continent and it's not floating above cloud level, it's even colder than that. It'd easily reach freezing at night and possibly most days of the year. No one would be living down there to begin with. To make an under-continent habitat viable, we're talking more like a floating island than anything. even something the size of most Hawaiian islands would be big enough to fuck up everything down below.
>>
>>55376643
I've been stuck in the Forever DM chair for 3 years at this point because my players refuse to take up a DM chair even once in a blue moon. I don't enjoy DMing anymore because of it. However, I still have the D&D itch, which I manage to somewhat scratch via DMing. And despite my exhaustion, I still put in everything I can to try to make sure the players have fun so they'll be interested in playing more. Not because I'm passionate about the game I'm running.

And, before you say anything, the players enjoy themselves and are hyped for more.
>>
File: file.png (433KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
433KB, 600x600px
>>55376120
I store my dice in a Altoids can
>>
>>55376693
Is it really that bad? It would get rid of two weapon fighting requiring an extra action, and put it on par with two-handed ones in terms of damage. It would also make the feat actually worth getting
>>
>>55376586
That would be essentially what I posted but without the "burn yourself out to make another attack" bit. Kind of like berserker barbarian's frenzy attack, but potentially OP instead of bad.

My current version of two-weapon style has built into it the benefits from the feat of quick draw/stow and non-light weapons, and also swinging with both weapons on an opportunity attack. Still only available for ranger and fighter.

Now that I type that out, it really seems like it might need some toning down to be in line with the other styles, although opportunity attacks come up very rarely in my campaign so far.
>>
>>55376705
Have you told your players you're burnt out and need a break?
>>
>>55376743
>he believes that guy actually has players or a game
Where do you think you are?
>>
>>55376743
I've taken several breaks. Usually all that does is give me enough energy to host a couple runs. Granted, I could probably downgrade from Campaign to One-Shots, but my players tend to make low-effort, joke characters for those. And understandably so, since they won't be around for long.
>>
So for those unawares, the past few days there's been a separate thread on /tg/ discussing the "Gish" archetype missing in 5e. Currently the closest options are a mix of multiclasses with UA, leading to many DMs to not want to allow it for fear of being imbalanced or untested and not wanting to deal with that shit in their games.

I followed along with the discussions and it boiled down to basically three options: people wanted to see there be a port of Swordmage from 4th, while others wanted to see the Duskblade and Magus from 3.PF to be brought up into 5th edition. So, in my mind I thought, "... why not just a class with all 3 as an option?"

Enter the Spellsword. It's built to be a arcane half-caster class with the option of being tanky (Swordmage), nova DPR (Duskblade), or DPR/debuffer (Magus). Let me know what your initial thoughts are. This is the second version, after the first had some concerns about balances on various capstone powers and having it be too front-loaded with benefits.
>>
>>55376694
Nice dude, maybe tweet this to WotC so they know that people are still willing to eat up any old trash with their logo on it ;)
>>
>>55376779
Ooph. I fucked up the spoiler tags on that. Redo:

>>55376625
Yes in the sense that he's the "big bad". No in the sense that unlike Strahd, he just pops up at the very end; he isn't really meant to interact with the players before then or deliberately fuck with them.

>>55376658
So the thing is that Acerak basically trapped these nine gods into the big final dungeon/temple. By getting past traps in certain rooms dedicated to each god, and the player that touches a magic item basically has a chance (I think by doing a Wisdom saving throw) to try resisting being possessed. Narratively, the only things that happen when possessed is that certain gods give certain advice in some rooms based on their personality (only like 2-3 of the 9 are more brash/dicks), and the players get their flaws changed to match the god until they leave the temple or get possessed by a different god. Players also get rewarded for sticking to the changed flaw(s) while possessed by the god giving them the magic item after they leave the temple.

Also it's all tied specifically to the gods. Like getting keys to the temple and everything is all based around these specific gods and what they did in a story and how their personalities are. So it'd be difficult to outright change them to something else.
>>
>>55376779
Is he a chump like how Strahd apparently is?
Thanks for all the info.
>>
>>55376594
You get given powerups from the Chult gods, which beefs you up a bit
>>55376626
What possible fucking reason would Acerak have to flee?
>>
What kind of class would best fit a wayfarer type? New player at my table is interested in a character who's an wandering adventurer. Abilities would probably have to include:
>Endurance, both in encounters/day and time away from restocking in towns/cities
>Ability to fight in difficult terrain
>Ability to deal with both ranged and melee enemies
>Ability to survive + heal wounds with or without healing magic

Probably can just be done with a ranger who travels as opposed to protecting one spot of forest, right?
>>
>>55376726
No, it will just give you a free attack and let you deal the same damage as a great sword with with shortswords, completely eliminating the draw of the weapon. And how the fuck does it change the feat? It would interact in the same exact way.
>>
>>55376762
Then say you want to play a campaign. Hold your DMing skills hostage. You'll never DM again if one of them doesn't for the next year. A real campaign, not a one shot.
>>
>>55376782
it's not about eating anything, the anon was dead wrong in his assessment of the module. but keep stroking it to that stick up your ass in the 5e general, it's a good look
>>
>>55376767
>the "Gish" archetype missing in 5e
You mean a swordsinger?
>>
>>55376523
Thats what they initially said. Or rather, pay-what-you-want.
>>
>>55376806
That's basically UA Ranger to a T. except for healing without magic, but that can be fixed with the healer feat
>>
>>55376836
>Or rather, pay-what-you-want.
$0
>>
>>55376806
Revised Ranger
>>
>>55376836
Pay-what-you-want, pay-what-they-want, what's the difference?
>>
>>55376807
The two weapon fighting feat essentially giving you access to 2d8 weapon and 1 ac is better than what it currently does for anything with extra attack or any use of a bonus action. The draw of the great sword is GWM which hasn't changed. Two choices of weapon having the same damage with no/minimal investment isn't a bad thing in my eyes. The biggest problem with the adding the dice that I foresee would be handling magic weapons
>>
>>55376767
>Third page
>Two different things that normally require a feat to get
>By third level
As always it's shit
>>
>>55376454
follow-up
https://twitter.com/ChrisPerkinsDnD/status/908124799636877312
>>
>>55376702
Original asker here. The floating landmass in question is pretty damn big, and is just above the clouds, which means rain may be able to get through, right?
>>
>>55376181
Because you have shit for eyes.
>>
>>55376798
He's significantly more formidable, especially since he's got Power Word Kill and can use legendary actions to move his Sphere of Annihilation around. Also since he doesn't have blatant weaknesses that can be easily taken advantage of like Strahd with the Sunsword and Holy Symbol of Ravenkind.

>>55376802
He doesn't really have a reason. Especially since his phylactery is hidden in a demiplane the PCs can't reach, so he'd just resurrect in 1d10 days. So at best, fleeing lets him hold onto his staff and Talisman of the Sphere, and not have to dick around with waiting to come back.
>>
>>55376872
see
>>55376855
>>
>>55376879
You are fucking retarded. 2d8 PER ATTACK with fucking rapiers? With NO drawbacks?
>8d8 damage from full attack action
>8d8 from action surge
>8d8 from haste
>still have your bonus action

Why do you think this shit is acceptable? How on earth do you expect anyone to take GWM and risk missing with the -5 penalty when you can do that much damage for free?
>>
>>55376884
How is the magus in Kryx's houserules? I haven't looked at it closely yet. It starts at pdf page 55:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxGh_mU9ihaPbXMtclcwWTlsM1U/view.
>>
>>55376884
So what, remove them entirely and use new or different ideas, or spread out the feat-like things to higher levels?
>>
>>55376892
Realistically clouds floating in from outside the shadow of the continent would rapidly cool and precipitate on the outer edge of the island. The center below the continent would still be a barren wasteland, but you'd have a crescent-shaped habitable zone along the western edge (or whatever direction the prevailing wind is blowing in from, carrying moisture).

There still wouldn't be any reason to live there unless it was the only land inhabitable (say, the continent floats above another continent which is smaller than it). Then everyone would just be on whichever coast is sunniest and not behind a rainshadow (on the other side of a mountain from the wind / ocean).
>>
>>55376947
That's only 2 more damage on average than a 2d6 weapon at the cost of a feat, but I suppose if you make it sound more dire by naming every theoretical source of an extra attack
>>
>>55376896
oooh

gottem
>>
>>55376970
Remove them entirely and use new ideas. I think a feat should stay a feat and a class gets some cool new stuff instead.
>>
How do we fix UA Eladrin?

My opinion: remove the dumb season = personality thing since it doesn't correlate to the season they're attuned to for their cantrips, so it ends up being just a hamfisted mechanical way to force RP. Revision: Eladrin just feel emotions more intensely than their other elven kin as a result of living in the Feywild, where things are intense and surreal.

For crunchier players: replace season personalities with some sort of damage resistance or vulnerability. Summer eladrin are resistant to fire damage, winter eladrin are resistant to cold damage, etc; Summer eladrin are vulnerable to cold damage and winter eladrin are vulnerable to fire damage, etc. Either/or situation depending on how sadistic your DM wants to be. And this ties to what season you choose your cantrip to be so it actually fucking means something.

Make the winter season cantrip either ray of frost or frostbite. Make spring cantrip either mending, mold earth, or something to do with renewal/farming. (Minor Illusion is already a cantrip most will pick up from their classes, which is my main beef with spring.)

Ability score increase and Fey Step are fine.
>>
>>55376971
So basically, I should take a big chunk of land that I don't mind messing up, and put the floating continent above that? I think I know a place where that will work.
>>
>>55377067
To be fair, it's not the worst race option we've gotten. It's a little silly, but does it really need "fixing"?
>>
File: 1502303552734.jpg (11KB, 198x255px) Image search: [Google]
1502303552734.jpg
11KB, 198x255px
>>55376767
>>55376884
You know what I'll continue since thing is just the funniest thing I've read all night
>Improved spell recovery: you just get spells back, no limit other than what you roll
>Capstone: just attune whenever, even mid fight
>Swordmage aegis maneuvers:
Oh just have the bear totem barbarian's level 3 for a spell slot, or disadvantage on attack up to 60 ft until the end of enemies turn, hey teleport up to 60ft why the fuck not.
>Level 20 cap stone for an archetype
Are you fucking kidding me?
>Duskblade
>Expanded spell list
Hey you know the Lore Bard's magical secrets? Well this has a restriction so we'll start giving it to them at level 2, then they get two more at 7, 15 and 20
>Arcane might
Smite, it's a smite
>Arcane channeling
Hey you know how you either cast a spell or attack? Well now you get to do both on the same turn using your bonus action to cast
>Duskblade cloak
A fucking magic item as a feature
>Level 20 capstone for an archetype
>Magus brand
Oh Hunter's mark, but better in every way also no save
>Quicken spell
Hey at least you gave it a resource like the sorcerer has
>Empowered Brand
Oh sweet start stacking those debuffs, also on demand vulnerability, a minute of free magic advantage and now 2d6 for no cost, also it's force damage.
>Level 20 capstone for an archetype
>>
>>55376798
Strahd is only a chump if your DM plays him like a chump.
>>
>>55377224
>Strahd is close enough to hit anyone with a physical attack or be hit by a physical attack
>gets grappled
>completely at the party's mercy until his turn comes around and he can turn into mist form and flee
If you have the damage to one turn him, there's nothing he can do if grappled.
>>
Acererak vs Larloch

Who's the better Lich?
>>
>>55377281
Arthas
>>
>>55377067
Why does it even fixing?
>>
File: 1306434612047.jpg (1MB, 2587x3000px) Image search: [Google]
1306434612047.jpg
1MB, 2587x3000px
>>55377119
I think the Shifting Seasons ability is clunky. The idea that eladrin decide which mood to be in after a long rest is silly and makes for awkward roleplaying. I like the idea of the seasons influencing personality, but not this implementation.
>>
>>55377256
Like I said, he's only a chump if your DM plays him like a chump. CoS Strahd isn't conquering warrior king Strahd. He's not supposed to be played as a melee fighter. CoS Strahd is supposed to be played more like a spellcaster. Maybe take a look at his statblock or learn some critical thinking before making not-so-carefully greentexted assumptions.
>>
>>55377307
It's the mercurial shifting of moods, how the fey in their alien mindset should actually be.
>>
>>55377313
Yeah, Strahd's supposed to spend every round of combat standing upside-down on the ceiling and spamming Fireball and Blight until the party's dead, and if he doesn't wipe them with that, he leaves and rests until his spells are back. That's all he ever does: stands out of reach of any physical Fighter and spams his spells, then fucks off.

Real compelling. If any D&D boss were played with all their cheesiness at full blast, parties wouldn't stand a chance. But Strahd being within 30 feet of the party for a single round isn't "being a chump", it's your DM not being a massive faggot and telling half the party they're useless.
>>
>>55377307
>fey
>not being unreliable, arbitrary fuckstains
>>
File: 1498939163886.jpg (1MB, 2016x1134px) Image search: [Google]
1498939163886.jpg
1MB, 2016x1134px
So the Eladrin's seasonal stuff is actually extremely similar to another race i'm trying to brew up, which is nice having some official content for referencing. How far would most people go with the concept of a race being affected by seasonal climate shifts?
Mechanical bonuses/maluses?
RP stuff?
Fluff only?
>>
>>55377313
Not him, but Strahd should be a capable warrior as per his previous life and a competent spellcaster to represent his current studies. He should've at least be given a sword and have other abilities specific to him rather than just being a copy of the monsters we already had in the MM, which was a bit disappointing.
>>
>>55377203
Anon, you do know that the Paladin doesn't have a normal capstone, and instead gets a thing at level 20 based upon the archetype they pick, which is meant to act as that capstone? The class itself models it's progression of new skills, spell slots, and abilities off the Paladin progression.

Not saying there aren't some busted things in here, but they at least put forth some effort to try and fix a hole that's been left open in 5e design.
>>
>>55375380
Replace Infernal Legacy with the following:

Abyssal Legacy: You know the Prestidigitation cantrip. When you reach 3rd level, you can cast the Suggestion spell once with this trait and regain the ability to do so when you finish a Long Rest. When you reach 5th level, you can cast the Dominate spell once with this trait and regain the ability to do so when you finish a Long Rest. Charisma is your spellcasting ability for these Spells.

Then add something for the prehensile tail, like it can carry things and pick them up sneakily or something.
>>
File: Diabolic Channel.png (1MB, 828x602px) Image search: [Google]
Diabolic Channel.png
1MB, 828x602px
>>55376767
>>55377203
Agreed with the Improved Spell recovery feature, it should have a once per day limitation.

I feel like you should drop the Arcane Secrets feature as if you are going to give the Archetypes a Capstone feature similar to how Paladins are designed then the class itself should not have one.

The aegis maneuvers should most definitely have a harder limit, similar to a battle master you should not have all of those for the same cost, in addition to that make them bonus actions instead of reactions that way they are not so safe.

Arcane channeling needs some rewording, follow this ability posted in the Gish thread for a reference, I think you can cast and attack at the same time it's just that it should not be a bonus action to do it.
>>
>>55377203
>>Level 20 capstone for an archetype
>Are you fucking kidding me?
Nigga have you ever read the Paladin class? Obviously it's a problem if both the archetype and the base class have a level 20 capstone, but a level 20 capstone on an archetype has precedent.
>>
>>55376947
>8d8 from haste
You can only make one attack with the hasted action anon
>>
>>55377307
>awkward roleplaying
Welcome to fey
>>
Do you allow UA content? Or would you?
>>
I just finished DMing this week's session of Curse of Strahd.
The main damage dealer, and only non-caster of the group died to the Arcanaloth in the Amber Temple. Ask me anything.
>>
>>55377522
I haven't looked at CoS. How will you incorporate a replacement character?
>>
>>55377324
>>55377362
Then maybe the Shifting Seasons table should be randomized. Then it would be truly mercurial.
>>
>>55377521
Case-by-case basis. Some of it is great, like Revised Ranger. Some of it is garbage like Theurge or the entirety of Mystic.
>>
>>55377521
Yes, but with the understanding that its play-test material, at best, and I *will* make changes to it as we go to either reign it in or actually make it good.
>>
>>55377543
That'll be easily implementated. A roll on a 1d4 table.
>>
>>55377537
We haven't decided what's going to happen next, I'm going to discuss in private with the player how he would like to continue. We're probably going to bring the character back as a relentless revenant hellbent on escaping Barovia.

Speaking of which, the revenant subrace isn't intended to work with Half-orcs, but if I tried to force it, how should I alter it?
>>
>>55377422
I think the only reason the class has Arcane Secrets is to allow them access to Disintegrate and Chain Lightning, spells that both the Magus and Duskblade had in 3.PF.

As for the Aegis maneuvers, I think they are so heavily tied to Reaction because that's what the Swordmage could do in 4th; react to an ally about to be hit and either make it miss, reduce the damage, or "taunt" the enemy to focus on them instead.
>>
>>55377522
>>55377537

death is actually fairly cheap in CoS, there are a few raise dead or reincarnate spells just laying around, as well as a couple powerful NPCs that could be turned to party allies if the PCs are smart. Plus the DM could always just have the dark powers bring the dead PC back (dark & twisted in some fashion however, of course).

CoS is less a of a standard dnd meat grinder adventure and more a moral/philosophical question about how far you're willing to go to combat evil. Will you turn into the very thing you hate? The more you stare into the abyss, the more it stares right back into you. Etc. etc. Its why alignment actually matters in CoS when everything else in 5e has all-but removed it from the game.
>>
>>55377599
The death of the party's tank forced everyone else to flee the temple, but I was fairly convinced that the lawful neutral wizard in the party was going to attempt to gain a ton of dark power from the temple if he had the chance.
It was pretty exciting.
>>
>>55377577
>Speaking of which, the revenant subrace isn't intended to work with Half-orcs, but if I tried to force it, how should I alter it?
Based on the Dragonborn template, I'm guessing
1) reduce ability increase to +1 Str +1 Con
2) remove relentless endurance, since Dragonborns lose their elemental resistance trait.
It's kind of odd that a revenant would be focused on escaping, though, given that a revenant dies after its goal is achieved. Unless your half-orc PC is of the spiritual type, why would he go to such extreme lengths as to defy death simply to be able to die outside of ravenloft?
>>
>>55377406
Oh fuck you are right, I forget because I think I've had maybe three paladins in the past two years. So my new issue is they already are getting that with their base class, free attunement as a bonus action and one 6th level from Wizard, Sorcerer or Warlock.

Also I get that but it seems like that hole was left for a reason since everytime someone tries to fill it this happens.
>>
>>55377645
Good point about the escaping Barovia thing. I guess a more standard, "Kill Strahd" or "Help my friends escape" would make more sense
>>
>>55377627
you said earlier here >>55377577 bringing back the PC as a revenant. I like where you're going with this, but if I might suggest, look in the trove at the AL stuff for Curse of Strahd. There's a few tables in there for random mutations/dark powers folks brought back from the dead in Barovia gain. That might be a good place to look at when considering how being an undead changes the half-orc beyond just changing type humanoid to type undead.
>>
>>55377434
Yes that was my bad, probably because they already had a capstone then put one in to each archetype. It's late and being slight intoxicated doesn't help.
>>
>>55377689
furthering on this, I would NOT do as >>55377645 suggests. There are far, far more interesting ways to play up death, especially in a setting like Ravenloft, then just using it as a crudgle to punish your players with.
>>
>>55377671
Some of the things you pointed out have merit, but can be easily fixed/nerfed with some extra wording (the Spell Recovery ones being once per long rest, for example). For some of the other things, if they are nerfed effects from other classes - Aegis' half damage Bear Totem Barb. power for a half-turn - in exchange for the player's one Reaction and a spell slot is probably fine.
>>
>>55376168
It's an easier and more logo-like logo.
Hilariously SKT's giant rune for "dragon" is very clearly a modified ampersand.
>>
>>55376554
ATs and EKs can't use an arcane focus by RAW, though.
>>
>>55376177
I don't get paid directly, but I do get support through Patreon and donations since I stream most of them.
>>
File: rock18f-2-web.jpg (73KB, 750x1166px) Image search: [Google]
rock18f-2-web.jpg
73KB, 750x1166px
>>55377847
>being forced to use a fanny pack of holding
AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
>>
>>55377880
Component pouches aren't that bad, anon
>>
>>55377848
Rick?
>>
>>55377848
Mercer please go
>>
>>55377880
>forces
>implying
>shield, absorb elements, and counterspell have no material components
>>
>>55377880
>>55377898
>Only having one component pouch and not half a dozen in case one gets destroyed or disarmed.

Pleb tier, lel. Learn to think like a Wizard.
>>
>>55376592
Fighters don't need the buff. Battlemaster is probably the overall best subclass but Champion and EK are already perfectly "playable," Champs are a bit boring but simple and plenty strong, and EKs have better utility and make better tanks than Battlemasters.
>>
>>55377922
Neither do BB/GFM other than the weapon you use for the attack
>>
>>55376177
I only get paid to DM when I run a program at a local library once a month for some kids. It originally started as a summer program last year and exploded out to where the program has anywhere from 12 to 24 kids showing up to play D&D for a few hours.

I'm not the only DM for that day though; one other person volunteers and has his kid join in, and another works for the library already. Technically speaking, I'm an outside contractor for them in this program.
>>
>>55377880
>>55377898
>>55377930
>Not having several component pouches
>Also not having weapons you're bonded to special made with a component compartment
It's like you want to be useless
>>
>>55377914
It could also be either JP or Koebel, the guys who handle the logistics of Rollplay (JP hosts it on his channel and came up with the idea, Koebel usually runs the games on the channel).
>>
>>55377912
He looks like the archetype fatguy. God damn.
>>
>>55377975
Archetypal* fatguy. No wonder he wheezes.
>>
>>55376828
Bladesinger is too squishy to really stay in melee, especially once their bladesong is done for the day.
>>
>>55377710
>>55377689
Thanks for the advice guys. I will look into this stuff for my next session.
>>
>>55377965
Could also be Neal, the original RollPlay dm.
>>
Here's version 3 of the Spellsword class, after some more feedback in the thread and subsequent nerfs on it.
>>
>>55378152
What's wrong with the other gishes?
>>
>>55377599
I was more asking because I didn't know if CoS treated Barovia like the older Ravenloft demi-plane or was just a geographical location.
>>
File: literal_faggot.png (129KB, 260x260px) Image search: [Google]
literal_faggot.png
129KB, 260x260px
>>55377965
I hope Adam Koebel dies of a fucking stroke. He's the archetypical nu male, his only claim to fame is an RPG he ripped off wholesale from D Vincent Baker (who actually has talent and creativity, unlike Koebel who just did the same old generic fantasy shit, whereas Baker created a "soft setting" on the tier of D&D's implied setting, while completely inventing his own mechanics). God I hate that fucking faggot. And he made more money off of it than Baker did, because "muh sex moves" and "muh heroic fantasy." Luke Crane is also a fucking dickhead, but that's only because he claims his games are "good" when they are only good if you follow his autistic rules to the exact letter and throw away any sort of flexibility as a game master. Mearls and Crawford are just bumbling incompetent mixed with corporate slave. They can be forgiven. But the other fuckers, I hope there's a special circle of hell just for them.
>>
>>55376767
>only option is a mix of multiclasses with UA
You don't need UA or particularly complicated MCing.
EK 8 or 9/Abjuration Wiz X is a perfectly fine approximation of a Swordmage tank. 6th level spells but they have 7th level slots for upcasting, War Magic with a good selection of SCAG cantrips (most of which were based on Swordmage skills anyway), and the Abjuration ward as an "Aegis" you can use to protect a party member as a reaction.
>>
>>55378220
its 100% a demi-plane in 5e
>>
>>55378240
Sweet.
>>
>>55378215
They're not as good at magic as wizards while also being better at melee combat than fighters.

No, seriously, this is why nobody is happy with gishes. They don't understand that being good at two things makes you worse at both of those things than someone who specializes in one of them.
>>
>>55378222
have you considered taking a chill pill?
>>
>>55378278
Also they're playing 5e, the balance as is is intentional.
>>
File: 1480550410087.gif (446KB, 300x186px) Image search: [Google]
1480550410087.gif
446KB, 300x186px
>>55378278
>>
>>55377847
>>55377880
>There's people that still don't know Component Pouch exists
>>
>>55378278
I agree with you, but it probably doesn't help that Bards are so goddamn good at everything now, too.
>>
>>55378222
>being this mad about something this unimportant
>>
>>55378152
Why does everyone want to make wizard/fighter gishes? I want to make a Barbarian/Druid cross.
>>
>>55377940
It's less a buff and more just giving fighters more to play with.
>>
I feel like I get knocked out a lot.
Is it natural for Monks to be glass cannons or is my DM just putting the hurt on me? My AC is 18 at level 5, and I have 33 hit points.
>>
>>55378388
What's your Con?
You need to be striking and running, you're not built for prolonged melee.
>>
>>55378388
You get in, stun some bitches then backflip out of that bitch
>>
>>55378406
Assuming he's taking the book average it's 0.
>>
>>55378336
I feel you. I want to play a Druid/Monk with the pirate background.

I'd cast Shillelagh on my wooden pegleg before going crouching tiger hidden dragon on my enemies.
>>
>>55378406
I don't know how to play hit and run too well, it's usually only a couple of attacks that hit me that do a ton of damage
>>55378425
So, less damage dealing and more just stunning everything then taking cover?
>>
File: 1454048998817.jpg (227KB, 1203x664px) Image search: [Google]
1454048998817.jpg
227KB, 1203x664px
>>55378388
Yes, monks, the paragons of physical fitness and mastery of the body, are meant to only have a D8 hit dice.

As others have said, monks are built around hitting priority targets with their paralyzing strike then getting the fuck out of there for allies to pick off the stunned targets. You're not a Fighter, and playing like one will only screw you over.
>>
>someone posts the treasure nest as a reference image
>reminds me about the treasure nest
>feel guilt that I was at the FLGS tonight and didn't buy it again
>get angry at myself for buying so much shit
>get angry at how I knocked over a pile of junk before
>get mad at myself
>realize I was abusive toward the treasure nest
>start to feel the guilt washing up again
>start wanting to fucking die again
>wonder if I killed myself it would even matter
>I would like to have the treasure nest as a dice bag but I don't even have enough dice to justify it
>already have a case for the miniatures
>also realize I meant to buy four MTG commons tonight and forgot that as well

Has anyone else bought the treasure nest? Is it a good dice bag?
>>
>>55378453
5E gestalt rules when?
>>
Also does it say "treasure nest" anywhere on the bag, or just on the actual packaging? It doesn't have to be obvious, just somewhere on it so I don't have to keep the packaging to remember the name of what it is called? Like maybe on that tag on the inside of it? If there is one? Also thanks alot OP for posting the treasure nest image when I was finally forgetting about it.
>>
>>55378465
>>55378488
Holy shit just fuck off
>>
>>55378458
Assuming you've been taking average, your hp should be 33, which is good.

You realize 5e has fluid movement in combat rules and that you should always have some speed left over to get out of dodge?
If you can also afford it, it might be an idea to spend ki to dodge.
>>
>>55378465
>>55378488
SHIT
>>
>>55378532
Doesn't moving out of combat range give an attack of opportunity anyways though?
I feel like I'd have to use a Ki point to disengage/dash to get far enough away from enemies so that they couldn't just immediately attack me next turn anyways.
>>
>>55378458
Pretty much, as a Monk your job is to lock down a high priority target. This can be difficult if your DM plays his monsters smart, but it just means you have to work with your team more. Another good use is to get in on some guys slap one or two then patient defense and tie them up for your team. That is much riskier and should be done when everyone knows what they need to do.
>>
>>55378566
Pick up the Mobile feat. It's practically required for monks, just like how Warcaster is required for every gish ever.
>>
>>55377521
>my dm allowed a player to be a mystic
should i be worried? he said everything UA was allowed. we've only played one session so the mystic hasn't actually done anything of note
>>
>>55378566
Not if you spend ki to disengage, but it might just be better to spend ki to make those attacks. You have an extra attack and stunning at 5th level.
What's your archetype?
>>
>>55377521
Yeah because why not?
>>
Would using reduce person on a enemy, and then throwing said enemy into a Bag of Devouring be a valid way of killing enemy? Would you allow that idea at your table?
>>
File: Naamloos-2.png (138KB, 350x350px) Image search: [Google]
Naamloos-2.png
138KB, 350x350px
>>55378336
A Bar-bear-ian?
>>
>>55378649
Would I allow it?
Yes.
Would my DM allow it?
No, because it's not just "hit the enemy until their hp are gone.
>>
>>55378643
Way of the Sun Soul.

>>55378611
Will do, thanks.
>>
>>55378465
>wonder if I killed myself it would even matter
It wont.
>>
>>55378676
Ah, you're more of a ranged blaster, bro. You shouldn't be in as much melee as the other archetypes.
>>
File: images.duckduckgo.com.jpg (45KB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
images.duckduckgo.com.jpg
45KB, 512x384px
>>55378659
The Magic School Bus: Exploration of the Island of Chult
>>
>>55378624
Yes. I've played as both a giga AC mystic that could trivialize entire fields of enemies with it's crazy CC AoEs, and a 'Master of All Trades' Mystic that basically auto completed any skill challenge ever thrown at him.
There's an ocean between a random mystic and an optimized one. It has a level of system mastery uncommon in 5e.
>>
>>55378388
Don't listen to any of these fuckers talking about dashing in and out and spamming Stunning Strike. You're not a Rogue, you don't get free Disengage, you don't revolve around hitting exactly once and pissing off.

There's nothing wrong with your AC and HP. Monks are 1hp/level+1 behind Fighters, which basically amounts to a single hit at your level. The only thing that hurts you defensively compared to them is a lack of Second Wind. All these shitheads are playing Fighters with 18 AC anyway because they're GWM memers. 18 AC is plenty to stick in melee.

Before we can help you, you need to tell us more about your party compsition. If you're the only melee guy around, no shit you're going to be dunked on by every enemy at once. Even the Fighter or a Barb would die at that point unless the rest of the party is extremely good at murdering shit before they reach you or spend more than one turn able to attack. What are the situations where you're getting KO'd?
>>
>>55378771
Maybe you should read all of the reply chains instead of looking like you just ditched your retard wrangler.
>>
>>55378624
No. Mystics are a meme. They don't do anything crazy unless you specifically make a memebuild, and even if you do, the DM can shut it down at any time because that's the entire point of UA. You have more to fear from a fucking Wizard or Bard replacing every other member of the party, because there's no obvious excuse like "it's unbalanced UA" for tweaking their horseshit.
>>
For those of you who have ToA: Do you think it'd be a fair campaign to run a necromancer in? Using Animated Dead to take control of enemy undead might be cool.

Does it say what level range it is? I hope it's a 1-15. Tired of these 1-10's.
>>
File: 1457941998753.png (143KB, 800x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1457941998753.png
143KB, 800x1000px
>>55378771
So you have no idea what you're talking about. You should have just said so.
>>
>>55378465
>>55378488
Do you like Middle Finger of Vecna?
>>
>>55378771
My party consists of myself, a cleric, a wizard, and a fighter.
I suppose I should stick closer to the fighter, to try to split aggro.
>>
>>55378792
>don't listen to people saying you need to hit and run
>HIT AND RUN >>55378406
>HIT AND RUN >>55378425
>HIT AND RUN >>55378461
>HIT AND RUN >>55378532
>bonus action dodge bro >>55378605
>HIT AND RUN >>55378611
>HIT AND don't run because you weren't up close to begin with >>55378711
Repetition of wrong advice doesn't make it good. Monks can absolutely stay in the middle of melee and live.
>>
>>55378843
He's going to give you shit advice.
As a sun soul though, you're meant to play differently to the other monk archetypes being more ranged.
>>
File: so unimpressed.png (466KB, 1038x582px) Image search: [Google]
so unimpressed.png
466KB, 1038x582px
>>55378868
When everyone is saying one thing and you're saying another, you're probably the one who's wrong. Quit while you're ahead, before you make yourself look even more retarded.
>>
>>55378868
So you are a literal retard. Gotcha.
Monks should absolutely not stay in melee. You can spend ki to disengage as a bonus action.

Monk player, up to you which advice you want to listen to.
>>
File: Pete 20.pdf (2MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Pete 20.pdf
2MB, 1x1px
This Stone Sorceror/Hexblade Multiclass is still a pretty good Gish option IMO. I don't think it quite stacks up to say a full subclass such as a Duskblade or Magus, but its pretty close.
>>
>>55378868
>Fighter can get full plate and a shield for 20AC with like 16 strength and can do this from level 1.
>Monk needs 20 wis and 20 dex to hit 20AC, which means multiple level ups and ASIs to get there.

Yeah, Monks are built to be in melee just as much as fighters. Sure. Holy fuck you're retarded. Stop posting deliberately wrong advice.
>>
>>55378898
Not him, but argumentum ad populum is not an argument.
>>
>>55378798
Animate Dead doesn't let you control other undead
>>
>>55378952
>full plate at level 1
The fuck?
>>
File: 1455690822906.jpg (17KB, 680x383px) Image search: [Google]
1455690822906.jpg
17KB, 680x383px
>>55378960
>Only person in this entire thread who's actually defending this guy and his objectively wrong shitposting.
>"Yeah! But I'm not that guy! I swear guys!"

Anon pls.

It's an anonymous imageboard. Stop posting, take some time to read up on the things you're wrong about, then come back when there's not shit dripping off of everything you say.
>>
>>55378960
>argumentum ad populum
Are you lost?
>>
>>55378979
I'm not defending him, he's a dummy, but him being a dummy isn't an excuse for you to be a dummy as well. Use real arguments.
>>
>>55378649
Yeah, you'd need to Grapple them though. And there is still the chance that the bag pulls you in
>>
>>55378798
It's 1-11.
>>
We can just ignore shitposting, guys.
>>
>>55378952
Already covered your argument in advance.
>>55378771
>All these shitheads are playing Fighters with 18 AC anyway because they're GWM memers. 18 AC is plenty to stick in melee.
This is the GWM Holy Land, where everyone needs to take it or Sharpshooter and every -5 attack lands no matter what because muh pure whiteboard theorycrafting.

Shit, I'm the guy who's usually in these threads calling Monks trash because every theoretical build someone cooks up with them involves playing a Wood Elf and rolling two 18s for their stats.

This guy shouldn't be in melee with 13 Con on a Monk, but everyone here was telling him to shuck and jive before they knew anything more about his build or party comp.
>>
Monks: Just take Mobile. Takes care of most of the problems you'll face as a Monk.

>>55378964

Huh, I am not sure why I thought it did. Nevertheless: Necromancer in ToA, think it could work?

>>55378998

Ehhhh...wish WotC would do another poll or something so I could tell them how much I preferred the 1-15's. Heck, 1-13 would be fine too.
>>
>>55379003
We can, but seeing how this is an advice thread, there's some reason for us to deliberately call out bad or wrong advice as bad and wrong advice.

That being said, I'd hope anyone looking said advice is smart enough to realize which piece of advice isn't like the others when there's multiple people giving it.
>>
>>55376177
>When the DM has to buy the MM, DMs guide, Volo's, SCAG, Campaign book and at least one PHB
>Players still turn up without any drinks or snacks
>>
>>55379013
Its a wizard. It works everywhere
>>
>>55379033
>buy
>>
>>55379033
i don't understand why people buy the books if it's such a hassle
not like the pdfs are hard to find, and much easier to search for something with ctrl-f
>>
>>55379033
>When the DM has to buy the MM, DMs guide, Volo's, SCAG, Campaign book and at least one PHB
I'd like to introduce you to
>/5eg/ Alternate Trove:
https://dnd.rem.uz/5e%20D%26D%20Books/

As far as I know, there's no purchase required.
>>
>>55378477
http://www.5esrd.com/gamemastering/5th-edition-options/

Under Variant Multiclassing
>>
>>55379005
The ki expenditure to disengage is a cool tactic. And monks are hit and run strikers.

If you knew all along monks shouldn't be in melee why were you intentionally being a little shit and giving deliberately wrong advice. Even higher Con monks shouldn't stay in melee, and if you do you need ki to dodge.
Control yourself and actually give useful advice, don't intentionally be a shit.
>>
>>55379084
>If you knew all along monks shouldn't be in melee
I said this guy, with his fucking 13 Con, not Monks in general. Try reading.
>>
>>55379084
>>55379099
What reason did you have to post this twice?
>>
>>55379099
He's just trying to defend his e-peen on an ANONYMOUS board at this point. Some people just can't stand being wrong, even when throwing a tantrum about it makes them look even more wrong.
>>
>>55379105
Try reading the response to your deliberately shitful advice.
>>
>>55377422
Would having an ability such as this channel feature invalidate Improved War Magic or War Magic?
>>
>>55379067
Holy shit, I bet you'd even downlaod a car, you fucking monster.
>>
>>55379099
>not playing a kensai monk dual wielding whips
>>
>>55376505
Ritual casting, new spell per level, origin spells, and a short rest for your sorcery points mechanic that's not until level fucking 20 is what I'd like. I've looked at a bunch of homebrews like the post above and tried to frankenstein them into something I personally like but I tend to have a problem making things unintentionally OP.

Honestly I'd be for something like sorcerers taking what Lore wizards have as well. Wizards have goddamn enough and that should have been something for sorcerers.
>>
>>55379165
I'm a cyclist :^)
>>
>>55379180
>for x sorcery points cast ritual spell as a ritual, but cast it in the time it would take were it cast normally
Thoughts?
>>
>>55379232
So, casting a spell with the ritual tag?
>>
>>55379232
For X sorcery points you could just make a spell slot and cast it normally. Seems kinda redundant as a feature.
>>
>>55379117
Because it's sad and disappointing that it needed to be doubly highlighted for people not to act like retards.

>>55379127
It's pretty fucking sad.
>>
File: ytho.jpg (865KB, 1813x2111px) Image search: [Google]
ytho.jpg
865KB, 1813x2111px
>>55379232
...so you're just casting the spell normally, but spending a resource that can be converted into a spell slot in order to not spend a spell slot?
>>
>>55379180
I disagree with ritual casting, if every caster has it it stops being special or a feature, and is just an aspect of spellcasting.

Sorcerers need their own niche and mechanics, not to be even closer to wizards.
>>
>>55378843
Being a Sun Soul, you do have a decent ranged option, unlike other Monks who've got to throw daggers. That's still as viable as your radiant sun bolts, though, up until the point that you start spending ki to essentially Flurry at range. However, spamming your sun bolt (or another Monk throwing daggers, even if they TWF and toss a second one) is still less damage than getting up in something's face and meleeing since your bolts lack the free bonus attack and thrown dagger TWF lacks an attribute damage bonus (and there's weapon draw restrictions, if you are going strictly by RAW).
And you can't land your Stunning Strike, one of the best uses of your ki, at range. So it still behooves you to get in and mix it up.

The 13 Con hurts, so you are a fair bit squishier and probably should be picking your engagements more wisely. But that's the only reason. Let me reiterate, the ONE FUCKING HP difference per level (2 at first) between you and a Fighter who would ordinarily be GWMing anyway isn't enough to relegate you to a non-frontlining role. It's good practice to stick near your other meleers regardless, if you don't have to worry about enemy spellcasters and AoEs. Focusing targets down is preferential to engaging multiple enemies at once, even moreso since you've got a Wizard; if all the enemies come to the melee guys in one spot, they're also positioning themselves for prime AoEing (assuming the Wizard isn't all buff and control). There's also some nice synergy with the Cleric's Command if you all happen to be near an enemy, since him fleeing (by sprinting, not Disengaging) will provoke opportunity swings from all of you.
>>
>>55378843
>>55379361
A lot of your woes can be solved by better positioning and eliminating enemies before they have a chance to swing at you or anyone else. Make sure you're on the right side of your Fighter compared to enemies, and try not to rush ahead of him so that you're now the primary target of all attacks. At this level, you're still doing 1d6 with your fists and sun bolts, so considering investing in a quarterstaff. It's 1d6, but if you wield it in two hands (and there's no reason not to) that jumps up to a 1d8. So now you can be doing 1d8+Dex, 1d8+Dex for your main Attack action and 1d6+Dex for your Martial Arts bonus strike. Killing guys before they can respond has been the 5E mantra for some time, and it's why GWM is actually effective, even outside its popularity in theorymemeing.

Since you do have a melee heavy party (assuming the Cleric also mixes it up) and Extra Attack, something you might want to do is swap out one of your Attack action hits for a shove. Whether the Fighter is sword-and-boarding with Duelist or GWF/GWMing with a two-hander, he's going to be doing more damage per hit, so you can be enabling his extra damage with the minimum sacrifice of anyone on the team. Assuming the turn order lines up properly (your party members go before the creature), take the Attack action, shove a creature prone (you did take Athletics as a skill, right?), make your Extra Attack against him with advantage, then use that hit to trigger your Martial Arts bonus attack for your unarmed strike also with advantage. The rest of the party can now really lay the hurt on this downed guy, and you can even walk away (his opportunity attack against you would be at disadvantage) if you really need to and want to conserve ki. Just be wary of a prone-heavy fighting style if your Wizard uses ranged spell attacks; spells with attack rolls, rather than saving throws.
>>
>>55379291
It just seems odd to me that one of the pure magic classes doesn't get it though. I'm fine with the half-casters (Paladin, EK, ranger, etc.) not getting because it makes sense, they're not that devoted to magic to use it.

I agree, it just pisses me off that wizards get so much and especially since Lore feels so sorcerer-y.
>>
>>55379059
>>55379062
>>55379067
I am an unrepentant pirate, I've stolen 99% of all content for the past 20 years.

But I still bought the books because its objectively superior to have easy access to reference materials, and the tactile feel of reading from a book as opposed to a screen is aesthetically better.
>>
>>55379390
well it's not objectively superior, there are quite a few quicker ways to look up shit than scroll through the book
i agree that the feel of a book is nice however
>>
File: 1393803497835.jpg (85KB, 300x334px) Image search: [Google]
1393803497835.jpg
85KB, 300x334px
>>55379067
>>55379062
>Digital devices at the table

W R O N G
>>
>>55379407
It's current year, grandpa. Get with the times.
>>
>>55378843
>>55379382
Unless you take Mobile (which is fantastic, even just for the speed bonus), any defensive option is going to preclude your ability to do extra damage with your Martial Arts' bonus attack or Flurry of Blows. Killing things is generally the better idea. Don't bother with Disengage if you are at all near your allied Fighter, since you have the option to bonus Dodge for the same cost. Dodge means any attack aimed your way is made with Disadvantage, and you have advantage on Dex saves. It may be more painful for you to be the target of additional attacks, but it is strictly inferior for one or multiple enemies to target you with disadvantaged attacks when there is a Fighter or Cleric whose AC is similar to yours standing within range as well. One party member getting hit three times is worse than three party members all getting hit once, especially when you have a guy who can Prayer of Healing--and by Dodging, you're less likely to take that hit anyway and potentially bait the DM into making less successful attacks on you. Obviously, this goes out of the window if you're close to death already.

If you have an uneven Dex or Wis modifier (but not both), you may even want to split your next ASI at level 8 into +1 Con / +1 Uneven Dex-or-Wis. That would improve your general survivability a lot, shoring up your HP as well as the usual AC increase Monks are always chasing.

Other than that, look at how your DM selects targets. Some DMs are very much in an MMO mindset, acting like "tanks" exist and enemies are willing to continuously swing at the toughest meatshield in the group as long as he stands up front and insults the enemy enough. Others spread one attack out to everyone they can, just to keep them in the action, and some will deliberately target the easiest person to hit, to down, or the most crucial character (often Wizard or Cleric). Knowing this style will help you figure out what to do and where to stand to avoid death.
>>
>>55379390
>I still bought the books because its objectively superior to have easy access to reference materials
Nigga do you have any idea how easy it is to use the table of contents bookmarks in Adobe Reader? I can find things in the pdf faster than my players with a book 100% of the time
>>
What sort of racial traits would a people with a culture of self-mutilation or flagellation have?
Something to do with Constitution saves or concentration?
>>
>>55379457
Wisdom is the belief stat. Hitting yourself doesn't make your people hardy, it makes them organized.
>>
>>55379457
if they're obsessed with body modification shit, bonuses to CON in some way make sense
>>
>>55379246
>>55379287
lol whoops
>>
>>55379361
The sun soul has its own flurry of blows in a way being able to spend ki to make two additional attacks as a bonus action.
You don't actually need to be in melee playing one, not unless you want to stun which is a damn fine shame because stun is actually quite good.
>>
>>55379444
>>55379425
>Unironically choosing digital over paper
>Defending devices at the table

Sorry kid you have to be 18 to post on this board.
>>
>>55376120
So there's favored soul Sorcerer and Theurgy Wizard. Is there anything that lets Wizard/Sorcerer cast Druid spells?

How about a version of Wizard that lets them access all spells for some weird price?
>>
>>55379538
>being this out of touch
>>
>>55379538
You can't ctrl+F a physical book.
>>
>Unearthed Arcana: Which Snacks and Drinks to Get For Your DM
>>
>>55379551
>How about a version of Wizard that lets them access all spells for some weird price?
>HEY GUYS WHAT IF WE MAKE WIZARDS... EVEN BETTER?
This is stupid and you should not do it
>>
>>55379538
Have fun looking flipping through pages that cost you $50 while I ctrl+f and find what I want immediately for free
>>
>>55379551
magic initiate
>>
>>55379538
I only use it to record my sessions and have an easy spell encyclopedia open. I don't actually scroll through it during play, but when I need to remember a spell or if someone's forgotten their own spell.
>>
>>55379507
Flurry (two attacks as a bonus action) costs ki. Yes, a Sun Soul can fire two bolts, like a regular Monk can flurry twice, but Monks aren't made out of ki.

A Sun Soul Monk, even playing strictly unarmed, is still going to do more damage without ki expenditure by meleeing, since he can use the Martial Arts bonus attack to get that extra hit in. There is no sun bolt bonus attack; the feature says you can "use with the Attack action", not "replace any attack". If I wanted to kill things ASAP as a Sun Soul, I'd be using a quarterstaff in melee and keep the sun beams in my pocket until facing something out of reach or kiting.

I want to save that ki for flurries on targets I know are just weak enough to be taken out by them, or for Stunning Strike because you can really be a jerk with it. Stunned creatures automatically fail Dex and Strength saves, so if the Wizard has something like Maximilian's Earthen Grasp or that Fighter is a Battlemaster, you can use that to really neuter a boss or something that can't be killed within the round.
>>
>>55379442
My Dex and Wis are both even (20 and 16 respectively), would taking the Mobile feat be better than putting the both the points into either Con or Wis?
>>
>>55379538
alright grognard, the osr thread is that way >>55358767
there's nothing wrong with using tech to play. get with the times grandpa
>>
>>55379572
>find what I want immediately for free
ACTUALLY SUPPORT THE GAME YOU JEWY LITTLE CUNT THE BUGBET TO THE DND TEAM IS A TINY AS IT IS.
>>
File: Lenny.jpg (60KB, 1103x767px) Image search: [Google]
Lenny.jpg
60KB, 1103x767px
>>55379538
>>55379407
>tfw most people at my table use digital dice rollers and have PDFs of the books
>tfw a couple have digital character sheets
>>
>>55379390
I do both. I have a pirated digital copy for use and physical copies for reading and sharing
>>
How much should I really care about distance travelled during a quest? I like to use 'real' places with established settings in my Homebrew games and the next session is having the party go from Waterdeep to the town of Loudwater. It's a ~350 mile trip and they are going with horses and carriages and the whole adventure will take a month just for travel.

I don't want they to really worry about food and resources because they mostly like the story and combat
>>
>>55379618
Monks in general aren't made of ki so that point should be extended to encompass the entire class.

No one was saying it was replacing an attack action, you're arguing with yourself, but at 6th you do get an extra sun bolt attack. And you get searing arc but that costs even more ki.
>>
>>55379671
If you don't calculate the average speed of the carriages based off the type/size/strength of the horses and record each and every ration your players have and apply penalties if they don't eat enough, you're a bad DM.
>>
>>55379684
Reiterated to extend.
>>
>>55379671
As a player I enjoy when travelling places takes time and things happen in the time when i'm away from a location.

If your players don't enjoy micro-managing food and stuff then don't make them do that, but there's plenty of ways to make travelling fun, and it affords you time to think of interesting quest hooks you can lay out when they arrive at their destination.
>>
>>55379632
You've got a few of levels to figure that out, tweaking your play with some of the advice I and others have given. Personally, I'd opt for boosting Wis, since the importance of landing those Stunning Blows will only grow as you begin to face crazier monsters with more powerful abilities that you really want to shut down ASAP. That you'll get another point of AC is just icing.

The thing with Mobile is that it only really helps if ONE thing want to target you in the first place or you're trying to win a footrace. If sticking near the Fighter and killing things quickly prevents most attacks from being thrown your way, you don't really need to be ducking away from every guy you hit. It's also not great if you are constantly surrounded, unless you try punching everyone (which, as a Monk, you totally could). It also doesn't activate on your ranged sun bolt attacks; you have to melee a guy. Still, there's something to be said for 165 (180 if you're one-a them wood elves) move speed.

So see what happens with your expanding HP pool, new tactics, and whether or not you get some magical item before making a decision.
>>
>>55379684
Fuck I mean you get an extra sun bolt at 5th, which can translate to potentially 4 radiant bolt attacks dealing radiant damage. You just need to judge based on the situation.
>>
File: Laughter_Stops.jpg (56KB, 313x254px) Image search: [Google]
Laughter_Stops.jpg
56KB, 313x254px
>The party is going through a fire-themed dungeon
>the party is composed of a Light Cleric, a Fiend Warlock, a Wild Sorcerer that mostly grabbed fire spells, a Lore Bard whose control spells only work on humanoids, a Thief, and a Battlemaster
>every enemy resists half of the spells the casters have, deals retaliatory damage on any melee attacks, lights people on fire for getting too close (while each arena is in a narrow hallway), and/or has strong AoE control abilities
>several of the enemies have been flying types that just get to a range that the thief and battlemaster can't reach and then drop spells
>an enemy had Hypnotic Pattern

What fresh Hell have I entered? The only saving grace I have is that I can sacrifice a hit die to make my greatsword deal cold damage, but the only times I can hit anything I end up taking retaliation damage and getting lit on fire.
>>
File: 1505184348441.gif (403KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1505184348441.gif
403KB, 320x240px
I really want to play a game of 5e, but I can't find any (decent) groups. The gamefinder threads are nothingburgers with at best 1 or 2 DMs looking for players for their Steven Universe 5e interpretation game. Does anyone here have a group / want to form a group and is need of an experienced player?
>>
File: 1448338688471.jpg (106KB, 800x584px) Image search: [Google]
1448338688471.jpg
106KB, 800x584px
>>55379655
>digital dice rollers
>>
File: Just one of those days.jpg (22KB, 235x246px) Image search: [Google]
Just one of those days.jpg
22KB, 235x246px
>It's been 5 weeks since we last played
It's over, isn't it
>>
>>55379810
Everyone's dead.
>>
Is Great Weapon Fighting too weak if you don't use a 2d6 weapon?
>>
>>55378043
Have you played with/as one? Are two songs per short rest not enough?
>>
Can you run/play ToA without imposing a time limit?
>>
>>55379818
Great Weapon Fighting is too weak if you don't have an alternate source of dice damage.
>>
>>55379655

You and your table disgusts me. In some way I thank you anon, because as shitty as my group can be at least they aren't as terrible as you and your group.
>>
>>55379831
If you removed the death curse and replaced it with something less serious (like people just disappearing in the jungle, undead hordes, etc.), you could probably run it as a less stressful hex crawl.
>>
>>55379684
I didn't suggest it did replace an attack action. Here's the breakdown, all characters being level 5:

>normal Monk with quarterstaff
Attack: 1d8+Dex, 1d8+Dex
Martial Arts Bonus: 1d6+Dex

>normal Monk with quarterstaff and Flurry of Blows
Attack: 1d8+Dex, 1d8+Dex
Flurry Bonus: 1d6+Dex, 1d6+Dex

>Sun Soul Monk shooting beams
Attack: 1d6+Dex, 1d6+Dex
Martial Arts Bonus: N/A

>Sun Soul Monk shooting beams and Flurrying
Attack: 1d6+Dex, 1d6+Dex
Flurry Bonus: 1d6+Dex, 1d6+Dex

The fact that Martial Arts (your unarmed / Monk weapon / sun bolt) damage lags behind a Versatile-gripped quarterstaff already puts a purely ranged Sun Soul behind until level 11. But the real killer is not being able to use the third bullet point of Martial Arts:
>When you use the Attack action with an unarmed strike or a monk weapon on your turn, you can make one unarmed strike as a bonus action.
So the melee Monk gets three attacks without spending ki, and Flurry of Blows only gives them one more on top of that. Sun Soul Flurry and melee Flurry are each +2 attacks, but the Sun Soul's already at essentially a -1 disadvantage.

Strictly speaking, sun bolts aren't Monk weapons and don't trigger the MA bonus attack, but you could conceivably get your DM to agree that they are. Even then, it's awkward to fire two bolts at range, walk up, slap a guy, and walk away again. You'd need Mobile, or to not fear being attacked. You could also try to convince your DM to let Sun Bolt trigger its own ranged bonus action attack to achieve attack parity with the melee option, but that's getting into homebrew.

Oh, and you can't take advantage of Prone enemies with sun bolts, unless you walk into melee anyhow. That could have an effect on your damage if your Fighter and Cleric are fond of that (especially since Battlemasters love Trip).
>>
>>55379785
>I can sacrifice a hit die to make my greatsword deal cold damage
Hit dice as a resource outside of healing is bad and your DM is bad for making it/allowing it
>>
File: travel shit.png (135KB, 1204x974px) Image search: [Google]
travel shit.png
135KB, 1204x974px
>>55379671
>>
>>55378362
It's a massive buff to give maneuvers on top of EK or Champion features.
>>
File: 1504718912735.png (122KB, 1901x435px) Image search: [Google]
1504718912735.png
122KB, 1901x435px
>>55379671
>>55379856

Also I saved this from a Shadowrun thread but its totally convertible to any other system
>>
File: sktart.jpg (1MB, 836x1334px) Image search: [Google]
sktart.jpg
1MB, 836x1334px
>>55379810
>it's been four weeks since we last played
>tried to get a two man session going for half of the split party, but one guy said he "wasn't feeling tabletop"
>begin to despair that it's over
>plot to shelf that guy and see if I can continue with all the others
>suddenly, DM of the SKT game we were running like three months earlier that kind of fell apart wants to run the final sessions
>cryptic image he sent to us looks like he commissioned art of our characters (i'm the guy with the boots-on-shield)
>the hype is restored
Have faith, bro.
>>
>>55377422
>you will never infuse a qt's ritual with your seed
>>
Damn I should have downloaded the Roll20 tokens off the trove now before it went away.
>>
>>55379855
I don't think it's that great design-wise, either, but I'm not going to complain about the sword because it's pretty good for the level we're at.

I just feel like the DM doesn't do a good job of balancing encounters for the party. It's like he's making them for a group of people that are perfectly optimized when only our Bard is really that optimized, and even then just barely. It's also not too fun to spend two turns lobbing javelins because I'm out of range, then getting blinded, then immediately getting Hypnotic Patterned until combat ends.
>>
>>55379896
>he commissioned art of our characters
thats the dream isnt it
>>
>>55379741
Okay, that sounds like good advice.
Thanks!
>>
>>55379898
>You will never infuse a spell into your sword.
Why do we live? What's our purpose if not that?
>>
>>55379655
>digital character sheets
wew lad
>>
>>55379909
Turn it around on him. Craft an atlatl out of wilderness supplies to double your range and become a javelin-archer who hides in cover or out of LoS behind trees and rocks and spears all those fucking Wizards.
>>
>>55379180
A metamagic to change damage type or even save type would be OK, as that's like improvising with magic, but fluffwise it wouldn't make sense to give them ritual casting. They don't get any kind of magic education to teach them rituals like other spellcasters do.
>>
>>55379951
Orcpub is on its death bed. I have been trying to get the most out of it before then.
>>
>>55379793
What do you have against digital dice rollers grandpa?
>>
>>55379655
digital dice rollers are worse than the character sheets desu, there's some fancy automatic character sheets these days
>>
>>55379953
>implying I'll get to use my proficiency in Survival
>implying I could make Javelins more than mediocre

I fucking wish, anon. The bullshit with ranges is making me really start to resent how fucked Strength is in this edition.
>>
>>55379960
>A metamagic to change damage type or even save type would be OK
I made these a while ago, see if you like them:

>Alchemical Spell
When you cast a spell that deals acid, cold, fire, lightning, poison, or thunder
damage, you can spend 1 sorcery point to change that damage type to another type
among those same options.

>Strange Spell
When you cast a spell that forces a creature to make a saving throw to resist
its effects, you can spend 3 sorcery points to change the first saving throw for
one creature from one ability to another of your choice.

I have more if you're interested
>>
>>55379824
Have played with one, and 2 songs usually are enough, but he was MAD as hell with 18 Int and 18 Dex, so he had terrible HP. Hard to hit but got one-shotted multiple times.
>>
>buy a bunch of metal dice in preparation for a new group
>dm doesn't have character markers or minis so use the d20s to represent characters with the initiative number on the face
>when dm is clearing the table he grabs all the metal dice in his hand and just shakes them around like plastic dice
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
the audacity
i'm pretty sure half of them got scuffed up and i just bought these shits
>>
>>55380045
>actually using metal dice
Fuck you, not on my tabletop
>>
>>55380059
i have a dice tray for rolling them, i'm not a fucking savage
>>
File: 1487575535304.png (51KB, 213x233px) Image search: [Google]
1487575535304.png
51KB, 213x233px
>Only just realized that Chess pieces make for absolutely perfect enemy minis
I was blind but now I see
>>
>>55379831
There isn't strictly a time limit, per say. It's really just that player's (and main quest giver's) HP max gets decreased by 1 per day during the curse if they've died previously.

Time only becomes a huge problem when somebody's soul becomes trapped in the soulmonger, since then there's a chance the soul becomes devoured and completely lost.

If you wanted to lessen the curse's power against the PCs, you can just not roll to have a player's soul be devoured, and let it be there when they destroy the soulmonger. If you wanted to make it much easier, then you can do as the other anon said and just remove the curse.
>>
File: 1419555428905[1].png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1419555428905[1].png
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>55380090
These men are pawns.
>>
>>55378506
Why?
>>
File: dndsprites.png (206KB, 688x1152px) Image search: [Google]
dndsprites.png
206KB, 688x1152px
>>55379933
>tfw all I can do in return is make more Fire Emblem sprites of our parties
>>
>>55380109
THREE TWO THREE FOUR
>>
>>55376120
Am I justified in being mad in this scenario?

>DM wants full random party
>DM constantly makes us explain how our spells do what they say IE familiars do nothing
>In a level 2 campaign we are all still level 1 since he won't give us a chance to long rest
>Nat 20's on ability checks do negative things
>One party member found a book which exploded 1-hit killing the entire party except the tank
>cardboard walls of this stone dungeon make it so any fighting attracts more mobs within 1 minute
>DM refuses to fudge rolls or fudge-traps
>Only 1 original party character is still alive, others died on their first down
>DM has constantly treats blinded mobs as fully operational. One even runs through multiple doors at double speed with NO CHECKS
>DM insists on roleplay over ruleplay. Except for him and his mobs who can easily metagame check my minor illusion 6 times.

I felt like an ass bringing this up, but it felt shitty af since we were less than 200 ft from the final boss and we died to a 1-hit kill TPK trap with no signs of it being a trap.
>>
>>55380198
How is anyone else enjoying this
>>
>>55380198
No game > bad game
>>
>>55380114
They were just a couple of songwriters, who came to Ishtar, to break into show business.
>>
>>55380216
new players don't know better i guess
>>
>>55380198
What the fuck is that "DM" doing? He just seems like a retard.
>>
>>55380198
Sounds like the DM is treating the game as a hardcore adversarial one.
He's a fucking dick.
>>
>>55380295
He's decently new at DMing. I'd love advice to tell him since he's a friend first and a DM second.
>>
>>55380115
Hey that's still something and those actually look pretty neat my man
>>
>>55380327
Tell him to stop channeling Gygax
>>
>>55380327
Reading the book and playing fair might help. The goal isn't to "beat" the players, and if you are constantly killing PCs or TPKing them you're almost assuredly doing it wrong. Even if you did somehow get a group that was super suicidal in every way, it's the DM's team to play to his audience.
>>
>>55380327
Tell him to stop being a dick. That rpgs is about telling a collaborative story not about a dick waving contest.
>>
>>55380031
Well damn. I rolled up 20 Dex and 17 Int but only 12 con. I'm currently at Fighter 2 / Wizard 2. I was originally going Eldritch Knight, but Bladesong and the spellbook were just too enticing with only a bard casting in the party. What spells did you use? Any trap choices?
>>
>>55380381
If you have 20 Dex and 16 Int you may as well go Wizard from now on and play like that. Your Fighter levels are a source of extra HP, armor and shield proficiencies if you want to use them instead of Mage Armor, and ACTION SURGE for double casting. You might be a spell level behind, but you can blow shit up twice and you won't crumple on the third blow.
>>
If your class is one of the spontaneous casters, would taking Counterspell be good?
>>
File: areyouseeingthisshit.png (210KB, 408x267px) Image search: [Google]
areyouseeingthisshit.png
210KB, 408x267px
>>55380371
>>55380351
Alrighty then, i'll talk to him about it if he keeps doing shit like that

He's pretty chill so he should take it as criticism instead of an insult
>>
>>55379863
Yes, but it's not like the fighter will get better at anything besides fighting. He should at least be able to do more besides 'I hit the guy'.
>>
>>55380462
Does he feel threatened by any of you? The way he's acting seems like he wants to lord it over all of your powerless asses like a bad power trip.
>>
>>55380342
Did Gygax encourage making the players miserable? Cause I'm pretty sure it says right in the 1st edition DMG that the objective is for everyone to have fun.
>>
>>55380492
There was a player in the group who went super hard max-mining his character, and other party members (and was club president of the club we were all in). He no longer plays DnD with us though, so I don't know if the new group is being hit with residual effects of the hard-corer.
>>
>>55380520
Tell him to stop acting like a little bitch and that he's not making it fun for everyone.
Someone else should really DM for you all and see how he plays.
>>
>>55380518
The kind of fun that Gygax and his friends had is not the kind of fun that normal humans enjoy.
>>
>>55380491
>what is an Eldritch Knight
>what are 2 extra feats Fighters get
>>
>>55380381
Well with rolls like that at level 4, you can afford to bump Con or take Tough and ne OK.
>>
>>55380647
>an archetype with shit tier casting progression
>far more useful in augmenting his ability to "hit the guy" than giving him means of doing anything else but hitting guys
>>
>>55380675
Well yeah turns out that if you're given a gigantic spell list to choose from and then you only pick the ones that make you good at fighting, the EK is only good at fighting.

Who knew.
>>
>>55380491
>Fighters should be good at things that aren't fighting

But then they wouldn't be fighters. They'd be Good-at-lots-of-thingsers.
>>
>>55380729
I chortled
>>
I've been listening to some D&D podcasts since I'll never have a campaign of my own. I went back a ways to when the podcast was doing 4e fuck man just how much of a blunder was 4e?

5e
>Narrative driven
>Fast action
>Compelling player interaction outside of combat
>Seemingly well-balanced class mixtures

4e
>muh mini tactix
>muh mmo trinity
>muh skill cards
>two hours per combat encounter

What was wotc thinking?
>>
>>55380793
its what players at the time said they wanted. who knew, ppl are shit are expressing what they actually want.
>>
>>55380729
They'd be bards
>>
File: a68.png (301KB, 520x678px) Image search: [Google]
a68.png
301KB, 520x678px
>GM is letting a player use the Revised Ranger
>Felt the wolf he got was too weak
>Decided to give him a Brown Bear
>It has more HP than the frontline fighter and does more damage than him too, since he told him to ignore the "No Multiattack" rule
>>
>>55380843
>buffing revised ranger
Your DM should stop fucking around with UA if he doesn't know what he's doing
>>
>>55380843
Tell your ranger to train the bear as a mount to really fuck over all encounters. Oh, and TWF with lances.
>>
>>55379180

This one has pretty much all those things, except for ritual casting...
>>55376211
>>
File: 1299455895529.jpg (521KB, 1000x735px) Image search: [Google]
1299455895529.jpg
521KB, 1000x735px
>>55380873
>>55380865
Really, I think he just didn't look at the revision too hard. His wolf kept dying all the time since it's a hit dice behind us, so I think he did it mostly to beef up his HP more. But jesus christ man.

>With all the attacks added together, the bear does 42 average damage per turn, assuming the attack as a reaction doesn't also trigger a Multiattack
>We're level 6
>>
>>55380402
Yeah, definitely sticking with wizard. So far my spell use has been mostly defensive (shield) and I've been starting combat with archery (+2 from the fighting style) to thin out the crowds before jumping into melee. But SKT has me pretty tense in melee after fire giants rolled up on our level 3 party and oneshot a few NPCs. We managed to kill one while the other ran off, but wow, no amount of AC is going to help if we have to face that much one shot potential.

>>55380669
If my next two levels are as deadly as this most recent level, I think I'll have to go Tough. I really want Mobile so I can combo with booming blade and enhance the Bladesinging flavor, though.
>>
>>55380975
Apparently there might be more bladesinging in Xanathar's.
>>
>>55380817
I guess that makes sense after decades of bog standard D&D with some slight twists. Honestly though they couldn't have done any better than "Warmachine but shittier and twice as long"?
>>
New thread:
>>55381048
>>55381048
>>55381048
>>55381048
>>
>>55381051
Thanks for letting me know. Appreciate it.
>>
>>55377256
>>gets grappled
>But he's got hover
>Uses legendary action to move through the floor down to the basement
>Be alone with the fighter

I mean, you know, all this considered...
>>
>>55377391
Competence is not a Stat block.
If you want Strahd to have a sword, you are supposed to give him one.
They just didn't do it in the book so that you would feel inspired to give him choices.
It's why his mini and every other concept art of Strahd has him weilding one.

I personally went and gave him Shatterspike. It's level appropriate and fucked with the tanks armor which made it personal.

But you can go right ahead and do black razor if you want
Thread posts: 368
Thread images: 38

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.