[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 354
Thread images: 48

File: Tomb of Annihilation.jpg (484KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Tomb of Annihilation.jpg
484KB, 1920x1080px
D&D 5th Ed. General Discussion

>Unearthed Arcana: Eladrin and Gith
https://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-Eladrin-Gith.pdf

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Alternate Trove:
https://dnd.rem.uz/5e%20D%26D%20Books/

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck (embed) (embed)

>Previous thread:
>>55356015
>>
>>55360050
>early new thread
>same damned image as last few
>no thread question
Dammit anon.
>>
Paladin Poll:
http://www.strawpoll.me/13919183
>>
>>55360109
Not to mention he keeps posting it 3 pages early
>>
>>55360146
Paladin's the most broken class in the game
>>
File: sucy_20lwa-s_original.png (1MB, 1039x1275px) Image search: [Google]
sucy_20lwa-s_original.png
1MB, 1039x1275px
>>55360109
>Complaining about the OP instead of contributing
Boo on you, Anon

How do I make the best and spookiest Tome Warlock for All Hallow's Eve? I'm thinking about taking the Fey Patron (Neifon, the Lord of Bats) and focusing on debuffs and Illusions. What would some good magic items and mystic arcanums be?
>>
Opinions on the Comepndium of Forgotten Secrets? Better than the base game patrons in terms of unique mechanics and flavor?
>>
>>55360176
hah thats funny
>>
>>55360176
Defend your claim with examples
>>
Still no full pdf for Tomb of Annihilation im guessing? I don't know why I keep checking here every few hours..
>>
File: ohno.jpg (56KB, 481x448px) Image search: [Google]
ohno.jpg
56KB, 481x448px
All right, /5eg/ I need your help with my next session.

>Party is traveling cross-country to get to an established town before winter locks them in
>After taking a shortcut through some corrupted woodland they pop out on the other side two days later
>Shave a week off their time
>Next hurdle is something called, "The Tankard".
>A massive rupture in the earth caused by the continent's former inhabitant's mad experiments
>A water volcano practically powered by an open portal to the Plane of Water that has a Mereid's coral palace blocking the exit
>Shifts infrequently causing water to surge up and out and exploding for miles in every direction
>Party has to make "The Tankard Run" quickly or be left to be eaten by the awakened plants the water has caused to grow over centuries of these eruptions

But I have no idea how to run it. I'm thinking of having it be a real slog with them being harried by these awakened things along the way. Resting increasing the likelihood of them being attacked the longer they do so. It just sort of looks like it would be the cart driver's session on no one else outside of combat. I know this is a lot to ask but is there anything you think I could do to make this better?

Yes, I posted this in another thread. But it was the necrobumped 5eg. Forgive me.
>>
Champion or Battlemaster?

I just wanna play a sword n' boarder, but Champion seems much less optimal than Battlemaster.
>>
>>55360181
>Not posting the awesome homebrew
Anon why?
>Actual question
I like them they add some extra options for the Warlocks and makes it so I don't have to make more. Plus they all come with plot hooks and backgrounds which are great!

There are a very rare amount of good homebrews out there (Wot4 Elements revised and Pugilist come to mind) this is one of them.
>>
>>55360181
I've asked before and feedback I got was positive / follows design decisions, with exception of people not happy with the fact there's quite blatant combat pets.
>>
>>55360050
album of ToA leaks
https://imgur.com/a/iglMj
>>
>>55360160
>early new thread
>not to mention posted early
>>
>>55360211
It's been persistently said it will likely be a week or two. Not everyone has been able to get physical copies, and it may not be people's priorities. Buy it yourself or give incentive for it - begging is annoying.
>>
>>55360273
Crit fisher vs. neato maneuvers. Both work fine, I'm partial to battlemaster just for more options. Champion feels like 'generic fighter guy'
>>
>>55360233
Have this cart get nuked by a sudden geyser, make em trek it on foot, starve them (within reason, you want them to actually clear it) of rests by saying the fucked up land makes it impossible to rest safely. Make encounters about clearing a path fast and punish them for taking too long with slower pace because geysers keep fucking up the path
>>
>>55360309
Is there another way to pick up a second fighting style?
>>
>>55360050
Reposting cause new thread.
I need some advice /5eg/. So one of my players is a Bard and he has to drop out of the game due to personal reasons. I can easily write him out for the time he will be gone, but there is an issue with this character leaving. He is the parties healer, main supporter, AOE, and teleporter.

>Homebrew Maestro Bard
>Baton of Fireball
>Staff of Healing
>Ring of Spell Storing
>Teleportation Circle which they just brought the materials for x5 of.

The worse part about this is that the teleporting is so important for their MO. They are chasing people who are far ahead of them and they are under a time crunch.

What should I do? Should I make him an NPC who does not leave the city or write him out until the player can come back? Something else?

Party comp:
Elf Assassin Rogue 9
Halfling Lore Bard 6/Arcane Trickster Rogue 3
Human Totem Barbarian 9
Human Knight Fighter 9
Half-Orc Totem Barbarian 9
Maestro Bard 9
>>
>>55360327
>Second fighting style
>Level 10

ehhhhhh I mean.. you got me on that but it's at level 10. Many games barely get to 12.
>>
>>55360327
Going two levels in ranger or paladin. Ranger will be much easier to justify thematically.
>>
>>55360327
Multiclass into paladin or ranger
>>
>>55360273
Champ is definitely playable and not weak. It's fine unless you think it would bore you.
Battlemasters are great, especially if you take Shield Master your S&B guy will be pretty awesome. EKs can be better tanks. Take Defense style and use a shield (easier if you take Warcaster at level 4) and with Blur/Shield/Mirror Image you're incredibly hard to hit.
>>
>>55360273
Champion if you want to run into the common fighter problem of being bored to death, Battlemaster if not.
>>
>>55360283
I've been super curious what people think of the slayer class; http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/Hkwil69Be
>>
>>55360283
It's overdeveloped tumblrtier gargbage
>>
>>55360330
Let your Lore bard take over for him, have the other bard "teach him a couple tricks" before he leaves the party.
>>
>>55360346
>>55360349
Thanks, I don't know how that slipped past me.

>>55360345
I've taken all my games to 20
>>55360351
>>55360356
It's for an NPC. I've never run a 5e game before, but done a fair amount of character building, but never really seriously.
>>
>>55360346
I've been super wanting to play an 11 battlemaster / 9 hunter UA ranger with spear master and shield master.
>>
>>55360351
>EKs can be better tanks. Take Defense style and use a shield
>(easier if you take Warcaster at level 4)
Warcaster is absolutely mandatory unless you want to spend every other turn putting away and/or taking out your shield.

Though most DMs from my experience play pretty fast and loose with casting focuses and somatic components.
>>
>>55360364
Want to give more specific feedback? I've been debating including it in my game as it seems neat and general feedback here has been positive.
>>
>>55360399
You can just drop and pickup your weapon, anon.
>>
>>55360330
Kill him and make things dire, suddenly adding drama to the whole thing. Maybe the people they're being chased suffer some other sudden I'll fortune, and aren't so ahead anymore either. You can write him IN through whatever means, resurrection or twist of fate. Sometimes things change unexpectedly- like him leaving the campaign.
>>
File: 1489707069020.jpg (50KB, 564x564px) Image search: [Google]
1489707069020.jpg
50KB, 564x564px
>>55360324

Man, I don't know. They have a lot of ground to cover. But I haven't exactly put them on edge and freaking out yet. It might just work. They do have some horses to share I suppose.

Thanks, anon!
>>
Rate the cover artwork for all the released 5e adventures so far.

Here is my list:
RoT>CoS>OotA=SKT>TftYP=PotA>ToA=LMoP>HotDQ
>>
Looking for advice on a magical item I'm planning for my players.

WizardName's Decanter of Endless Hotwater.
Requires Attunement.
This item seems to match the description of most magical decanters, with obvious trademarks of the artificier who created it. However upon use the differences are quite noticable, the water produced is always of a steamy hot temperature, perfect for use in cooking or hot beverages. WizardName had this item affixed to the plumbing of her castle, providing not only a heating system to keep the place warm, but also a source of clean, warm water for his personal bath. This functions as a Decanter of Endless water, however the Geyser setting afflicts an additional 1d4 Fire Damage.

If attuned, or within the confines of the bathing atrium while the item is affixed to the plumbing, speaking a final command word will conjure a hissing cloud of steam and summon X Steam-Mephit servants who will gladly provide assistance. WizardName used them as servants to scrub his back and fetch towels and washcloths, but they are more than content to serve in combat as well. If slain, the magic of the decanter restores them and they can be summoned again at long rest.

>TLDR.
Decanter of Hot Water, deals +1d4 Fire damage on Geyser setting, once per X rest can summon some Steam Mephits.

I'm unsure which is more fun, interesting and balanced. Conjuring 1-2 Mephits with no duration, they can hang around all day until they are killed and basically serve as some amusing minions for the group who are servile and respectful of the attuned player, but can be dismissive and outright rude to others if the attuned player isn't looking.

Or simply have it as a once per week, and simply cast Conjure Minor Elementals but only for 8 Steam mephits.

Or try something different and make it a charge based item that can dish out other effects like a steamy fog cloud?
>>
>>55360419
Really quick question. Where in the PHB does it say dropping an item is a thing you can do for free instead of an item interaction. I swear I read that somewhere in there I just can't find it anymore.

>>55360424
I don't like killing my player's characters when they are leaving the game temporarily I only do it when they die in the game or if they say they never want to come back. In addition to that, I also use Mercer's Ressurection rules so that death would mechanically affect him.

The people they are chasing are looking for an ancient spear to summon their archdevil lord and have to go through two planes of existence to get to it, I think they got time so I think writing him out might be a good idea. I kinda like this >>55360382 ideas of teaching the Lore Bard teleportation circle before he goes, but does that seem unfair? Maybe they teach each other something?
>>
Since we're on fighters, is the Monster Hunter path any good?
>>
>>55360495
Not particularly. The Ranger version is somewhat better.
>>
File: Plankton_bigger_(For_Wiki).gif (11KB, 250x242px) Image search: [Google]
Plankton_bigger_(For_Wiki).gif
11KB, 250x242px
>>55360364
Elaborate!
>>
Do you feel like there are enough or too many schools of magic? Anything blatantly missing or are there some that are overlapping and could be condensed?

Also do you think some classes are redundant and should be lumped together with others?

> Ranger / Druid
> Paladin / Cleric
> Fighter / Rogue
>>
>>55360501
Oh, so the lke free 24 damage isn't worthwhile, or just not enough to rely on?
>>
>>55360531
Literally just play battle master instead unless yo really want to use thieves tools or cast detect magic.
>>
File: Great_Sword-copy.jpg (672KB, 2000x1333px) Image search: [Google]
Great_Sword-copy.jpg
672KB, 2000x1333px
>>55360495

If you want to go Monster Hunter you have to go the whole nine yards. Show up everyone, anon. Do it.
>>
Does anybody even use fucking inspiration?
>>
File: 1504602140221.gif (910KB, 500x222px) Image search: [Google]
1504602140221.gif
910KB, 500x222px
>>55360179
Bumping
>>
>>55360475
I see literally no reason for this to be attuned.

Also be wary of someone deciding to use it to give enemies hot steamy enemas of pain.
>>
>>55360565
Bards.
_______
>>
>>55360581
i have been rused
>>
>>55360562
Ahem...
>>
>>55360565
you mean dms or players?
>>
>>55360233
They'll want to go around. Either let them do it or have a really good reason for why they can't.

If I understand what's going on, there's this big round caldera with one or more small lakes in the middle and a fairly even distribution of murder plants throughout. When the gate to the plane of water becomes active, the plants get up and race for the edge of the caldera in a wall of murder, followed by a wall of water. Then the murder plants wait around the edge for the water to recede, at which point they shuffle back into their old positions. Determine a map of the caldera and determine how long it takes to cross, hopefully less than a day's march so that all the encounters are one adventuring day. Give them a chance to see some encounters coming (maybe the murder plants mostly leave you alone unless you try to shash through them or you're in their way during their migration) and determine exactly what happens if they stay too long.

Maybe tempt them by mentioning that at the very center of the caldera there is a ruined wizard's tower where the gate to the plane of water was created in the first place, where incredible magical treasure surely awaits them.
>>
>>55360581
Anon, pls.
>>
>>55360489
It's not stated in there by memory. But it's been clarified in sage advice that opening your hand does not require an object interaction. That makes perfect sense.
>>
>>55360598
I mean DMs
>>
>>55360288
>https://imgur.com/a/iglMj
>atropals and dinosaur zombies
Wow. Atropal is really dumbed down but it's cool they're including it at least. Probably aren't going to include the failed-abortion art that 3.5 had for it. That was what made it cool. "Deific stillbirth" mixed with the art was enough to carry the thing past mostly bland necromantic abilities.
>>
>>55360399
You can drop and pick up/teleport your weapon, or just stick to Verbal-only spells.
Also as per Sage advice you can cast VS spells if you "stow your weapon in your shield hand," although I personally think that's a bit stupid.
>>
File: 1504916581491.jpg (111KB, 1334x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1504916581491.jpg
111KB, 1334x1000px
>>55360623
This is the Atropal art.
>>
>>55360565
While I would like to use it more, i do use them mostly in two instances:

>A Player or more are doing something really cool/flashy/funny by being good roleplayers, not because some class features allowed them to
>A PC plays out his flaws correctly, even though the player knows it will fuck him up in some way or another. Many players just try to play optimized, so I reward those who actually try to roleplay
>>
>>55360660
Literally me
>>
>>55360565
I'm thinking of hacking on the rules that inspired it from Fate, excluding the players-rewrite-plot bit. Meaning, ideals/bonds/flaws should work like aspects and be handy to call upon and hinder the player (gets point) or help (spends point).

Has anyone tried this? I've looked it up and only seen people from like 2015 talking about maybe doing it in the future.
>>
File: 1489376175192.gif (492KB, 500x262px) Image search: [Google]
1489376175192.gif
492KB, 500x262px
>>55360599

They can go around. It will take a bit longer to circumvent it. Also to the north there be Hill Giants. Dumb as all get out. It really helps that I gave them a guide at the start. He's been on the continent for a few decades so he knows, or has heard of, a lot of the larger goings-on around the New World. How the volcano works is that it's at the southern edge of a continent. However the bay it rests of the edge of was once above water. However, to get to where they are going they have to go north and then take a hard left and go west. Or risk the Tankard Run and get a straight shot to their town.

I already have an adventure planned out in the volcano. But it involves them meeting two sealed away Mereids who are gratefully for freeing them and give them a wish between the four of them. They're not happy that their palace home has been slammed against the walls of a mountain for who knows how long. But they won't take it out on the PC's too hard.

I appreciate the ideas, anon. I was in a rut. I wish I could post the map but damn it looks bad.
>>
File: atropal_scion.jpg (19KB, 250x338px) Image search: [Google]
atropal_scion.jpg
19KB, 250x338px
>>55360660
Decent. A bit shadowy, lacks definition, but that's all the 5e art. I suppose I'm biases anyways.
>>
>>55360601
>But it's been clarified in sage advice that opening your hand does not require an object interac

Can I get a source on this.
>>
>>55360523
>Do you feel like there are enough or too many schools of magic? Anything blatantly missing
My boy Chronomancy
>>
>>55360744
You can google it pretty damned easy anon. Also, again, it's not hard to think "just opening your hand" shouldn't take an object interaction.
>>
>>55360776
Apologies I see, thank you!
>>
>>55360715
>hacking
Literally the clearest sign of a nu male faggot in existence. Only beta fucks who play Dungeon World in their living room while Jamal is ramming their wife upstairs, use the word "hack" to denote homebrew or houserules. It's the most retarded slang to exist in years, complete cancer. Anyone who says they are going to "hack" something is INVARIABLY using some from FATE, Apocalypse World, or one of those other shit narrative games. Actually, Apocalypse World is pretty good, but the faggots who "hack" it should be cleansed from the earth.
>>
File: Mike-Mearls-headshot.jpg (824KB, 1000x1185px) Image search: [Google]
Mike-Mearls-headshot.jpg
824KB, 1000x1185px
>>55360660
I still see a resemblance
>>
>>55360523
> Ranger / Druid
They should've broken Ranger between Druid and Fighter, Druid gets Beast Master, Fighter gets Hunter.
>>
ToA scans never.
>>
File: Buttmangled.jpg (168KB, 900x896px) Image search: [Google]
Buttmangled.jpg
168KB, 900x896px
>>55360808
>Cuck

Do you really have thoughts of Jamal fucking your wife so much you have to project that on to anonymous fa/tg/uys on a dead image board?

Playing yourself there, champ.

Speaking of cucks, How do you guys write your leaders in a way that makes them sound grossly incompetent but you don't want your fucking party to try and usurp them and stay on course?
>>
>>55360523
I don't really get 5e's point of separating illusion and enchantment. The line between those two feels way narrower and blurrier to me than the others. Also, intuitively to new players "enchantment" sounds like it's going to be about messing with items instead of minds (more like transmutation).
>>
>>55360808
>use the word "hack" to denote homebrew or houserules
Anon. He said "hacking on the rules", as in breaking them down into more simplified pieces to take inspiration from. Your inability to read put you into such an autistic rage that I actually almost feel sorry for you.
>>
>>55360842
I actually agree. Ranger is such a weird class because all of the ranger abilities either fall under "fighter power", "Druid power" or "Rogue power". Just chop the ranger up and give it to those three classes. It's an identity crisis thing. If Ranger wasn't so shit out of the gate and had a real identity maybe this idea wouldn't have merit.
>>
>>55360808
didn't realize that lingo was cursed to hell and banned from 4chan, m8
>>
>>55360523
Evocation should be rolled into Transmutation and Conjuration. Enchantment and Illusion rolled together.
>>
>>55360867
>5e's point

You mean DnD since.. ever? I sorta agree. Illusions are lies for your senses while enchantment is lies for your thoughts and emotions I guess? Over all though if two schools were to ever be merged those two would be it for sure.
>>
>>55360906
ignore him, just some sperg. continue about your day
>>
>>55360908
>Evocation should be rolled into Transmutation and Conjuration
Why?
>Enchantment and Illusion rolled together
Why?
>>
>>55360895

>>55360842
Agreed. I actually feel like that about paladin and monks as well.
>>
>>55360937
That wasn't the question I was fucking asked DON'T PUT ME ON THE SPOT LIKE THIS ANON RRRAAAGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH
>>
File: IMG_4498.jpg (67KB, 300x537px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4498.jpg
67KB, 300x537px
>>55360050

Any word if there is going to be a 5e Legends & Lore equivalent?
>>
Cure Wounds should be necromancy.
>>
>>55360895
I feel like most ranger spells can be easily refluffed (or even just understood differently?) to be low- or non-magical guerilla woodsman hunter/tracker skills, which isn't an identity conflicting with other classes. That's what I think ranger should be understood as, and I like it. The ranger is at home in the wilderness, but doesn't control it much or merge with it like a druid.
>>
>>55360865
Top level is incompetent, but he has enough supporters that know what they are doing to keep things on course - it is obvious that if the leader was competent, the kingdom (or whatever) would absolutely flourish, but the risk of trying to take over and lose the network of support that has kept the kingdom afloat is too great.
>>
>>55360968
necromancy should stop being a wizard school and get it's own class.
>>
Is it possible to play a necromancer without the campaign devolving into an evil campaign?
>>
Tavern Brawler: If I hit with an unarmed strike I can grapple them as a bonus.
Fangs of the Fire Snake: Increase the range of your unarmed strikes by 10 foot. Also fire. Still an unarmed strike though.

By this logic I can now grapple something at 15 feet.
Nice.
>>
>>55360565
As the perpetual DM of my group, I award inspiration fairly regularly due to my players being fairly above average when it comes to roleplaying their characters, even the newbies to the game. I also sometimes award it for playing their class(es) correctly or interestingly, albeit less often since that's only to be expected.

As for whether my players use inspiration when it's granted to them: yes, they do. They aren't so lucky that all of their rolls are good ones. Sometimes I or another player has to remind them that they have inspiration if it's been a few sessions since they acquired it but that's also to be expected.
>>
>>55361057
Yes. Communicate with your DM.
>>
>>55361057
No.
>>
>>55361062
Yes, but when your turn ends so does fangs of the fire snake and you lose grapple. So. Uh.
>>
Rate my homebrew enchantments out of 10. I want the NPCs to be able to reward the players for helping them in a unique way.

Titan's Blessing
The mystical powers of the Titan can be imbued into weapons, armor, or trinkets. The blessed item can be used any number of times a day as an action, reaction, or bonus action. Upon use, it grants the user stoneskin for two rounds, granting them resistance to nonmagical bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage. It also confers immunity to poison and petrification, and grants +1 to strength rolls for the duration. Two rounds after each use, the user suffers a level of exhaustion.

Echo Charm
You may use the echo charm once per day. On use, you may repeat the last action you took. If you echo an attack that hit, the echo charm's attack will always hit and do the exact same damage as the last action you took. If you echo a move or dash, you can simply double the distance you travel. You can echo the use of an item if the item can normally be used twice consecutively. If the action used resources, you must spend those resources again. (eg a magical item's charges, or a class resource like a monk's ki, a caster's spell slot, or a fighter's maneuver)
>>
>>55361062
Go mystic instead. Focus for Giant Growth increases your reach by 5 feet at all times, and if you use the giant growth focus you can grappled at 15 feet.
>>
>>55361065
My big issue with inspiration is how you have to use it ahead of time on the roll. It also isn't really helpful against a seriously hard check, only against something that you could probably do anyway on a decent roll.
>>
>>55361057
no, keep your necrophilia away from the table
>>
>>55361109
I'll move them to me in that time and hold them with my actual hands.
>>
>>55361057
Play in a setting where some necromancers are accepted. An easy way for this to make sense is if it's an open question whether or not there's an afterlife, because then lichdom seems like a fine choice, etc.
>>
>>55361134
I'm considering dropping all pretenses and just saying that if you have inspiration you can turn failure into a success for yourself or an ally.
>>
>>55361057
>Creating the undead through the use of necromancy spells such as animate dead is not a good act, and only evil casters use such spells frequently. - PHB 203
>>
>>55360565
I use Inspired Actions and Setbacks which I stole from Angry DM
>>
>>55360908
>>55360937
I can see his point.
>Evocation should be rolled into Transmutation...
The healing spells could all be Transmutation spells. Same as how Smites are all evocation while Magic/Elemental Weapon are Transmutation.

>... and Conjuration
You evoke an Earthquake, but conjure a Tidal Wave. You evoke a Fireball, but conjure a Flaming Sphere. You evoke a Wall of Ice, but conjure a Wall of Thorns.

>Enchantment and Illusion rolled together
Enchantment got some sound-related illusions (Vicious Mockery, Charm Person, Dissonant Whispers, Hideous Laughter), while Illusion got the visual ones (Minor Illusion, Silent/Major Illusion), but Silence is an Illusion somehow.

>>55360938
Paladin and Monk have their differences, though. Ranger is just a Fighter/Druid gestalt gone wrong.
>>
>>55361134
It wasn't meant to be an "oh shit" button. It's meant to give you advantage on a check you wouldn't normally have advantage on. It's still better than failing that check outright. I'm just gonna ignore the rest of your post since it's entirely subjective anyway.
>>
File: rAdm2.png (53KB, 1231x681px) Image search: [Google]
rAdm2.png
53KB, 1231x681px
>>55361057
Be the difference anon! Be the one that changes them for good.
>>
>>55361146
Amusingly, I don't think you cannot RAW. By RAW you can move it when you move, but there's no real interaction designed for if you have more than 5 feet of reach. Similarly you can only push away from you - not towards you.

Though there's no real reason to stop someone. You could just as easily just go bugbear for natural reach, or use thorn whip or lightning leash.
>>
Champion with a two level Spelless Ranger is pretty good imo
>>
>>55361110
Echo Charm: cool, 8/10.

Titan's blessing:
>use as an action, bonus action, or reaction
Literally nothing else works this way. Pick one way to use it.
>stoneskin
Don't mention the spell, just the resistances.
>+1 to strength rolls
Does this include attacks? It's unlear as written.
>>
>>55361129
This is a Barbarian who has been in prison for months because I had to drop out of the game for a half a year.
In this time they've found the peace they wanted, and turned the inner fire of rage into an actual spiritual fire.
And they're going to use it to escape.
>>
>>55361187
>sound-related illusions (Vicious Mockery, Charm Person, Dissonant Whispers, Hideous Laughter)
Only Dissonant Whispers can really be argued to be an illusion, the other three are absolutely not
>>
File: mayonnaise.png (452KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
mayonnaise.png
452KB, 640x480px
My GM is giving each of his PCs a low-level magic item. "A +1 weapon or something of similar impact" were his exact words. Trouble is, I'm playing a Moon druid who turns into dinosaurs and chomps people. I can't exactly use a +1 weapon in combat.

What would be a good low-level item for me, /tg/?

inb4 Insignia of Claws, he thought about it, but eventually vetoed it since wild shapes get multiattacks far more than other classes
>>
>>55361171
"Frequently" can be argued.

I'd also argue how long you plan to hang onto undead. The possibility of releasing them into world to kill innocents makes it evil, but what about killing them before the possibility of failing to renew the spell?

Also, what makes it evil? Is it the summoning of possible hostile undead? Or is it the act of forcing a soul into a corpse to 'work' for you?
>>
>>55361296
Frilly Pink Bonnet of Chomping
>>
Hey I just started D&D like 6 sessions ago. The first session was kind of a whirlwind of filling out my character sheet but now I'm really starting to dig deep into the mechanics and figuring out why everything is the way it is. I'm a lvl 3 human fighter and I have 4 skills: intimidation, athletics, sleight of hand, and stealth. I'm trying to figure out why that is. As far as I can tell, the first two were from my class bonus. The third might be from the optional skill increase human ability. Where's the fourth from? Could it have been a mistake made early on when I didn't get how everything worked?
>>
>>55361296
Cloak of protection's +1 to saving throws and AC is pretty reliable and can be used in wildshape.
>>
>>55361296
Doesn't armor get fused with the wild shaper so you gain the benefits of magic armor (aka the +1)? I don't play druids often enough to know ._.

If custom items are allowed, see if he'll let you have an item that lets you cast a cantrip while in animal form or something.
>>
>>55361309
What if you're giving the soul a chance to say goodbye to their family, albeit as a skeleton?
>>
>>55361332
The layman doesn't believe in skeletons, anon.
>>
>>55361296
Maybe a Druid version of Rod of the Pact Keeper? Just make the spell slot be limited to 5th level.
>>
>>55361040
What are warlocks.
>>
>>55361317
2 are from class, 1-2 are from background.
If you took variant human you would have 1 skill more for a total of either 4 or 5.
>>
File: AcroRd32_2017-09-12_21-55-09.png (420KB, 466x346px) Image search: [Google]
AcroRd32_2017-09-12_21-55-09.png
420KB, 466x346px
>>55361331
>Doesn't armor get fused with the wild shaper so you gain the benefits of magic armor (aka the +1)?
You don't gain the benefits of any equipment that you merge with when you wildshape until your revert back
>>
>>55361332
Animate dead doesn't put the original soul back into the body and speak with dead isn't a spell necromancers learn.
>>
File: Every door in DnD.png (39KB, 400x378px) Image search: [Google]
Every door in DnD.png
39KB, 400x378px
>>55361356
Ohhhh boy do I have a dungeon for you!
>>
>>55361364
Warlock has 9 necromancy spells, 5 being 6th level or higher.
>>
>>55361371
>No use of equipment

Wow, it's fucking shit. How do moon druids even scale into the mid and late game when magic items start showing up?
>>
>>55361367
Aha, I'm an urchin so that's where they're from. So no variant human. Great, thanks
>>
>>55361404
By not using wild shape all the fucking time and actually casting spells as a full caster and using the items they get
>>
>>55361317
background.
>>
File: Why there isnt a vegetable druid.jpg (105KB, 1350x758px) Image search: [Google]
Why there isnt a vegetable druid.jpg
105KB, 1350x758px
>>55361422
So wouldn't it be better to just not be a shitty not-scaling wildshaping druid and just be a pure caster druid?

I want to be a better wildshaper, how I do that if I'm not wildshaping?
>>
>>55361412
If you're a Variant Human you should have 5 skills.
>>
>>55361433
Use items that could reasonably be worn by your beast form so you can get their bonuses
Besides, wild shape never stops being useless. At the levels where it starts to fall behind in combat, it still has wonderful utility with flight, swim speeds, various sizes, environmental adaptations, and unique abilities.
>>
>>55361402
I'm saying that the warlock class should be the systems best necromancer
>>
>>55361404
They have fucktons of effective health, attack as if with a magic weapon, and eventually can cast while wildshaped.
>>
>>55361455
Right, I think I just used the normal human trait/quality/whatever the term of art is of +1 to each ability. The variant thing was me trying to explain my extra skill ex post but I don't think I actually did that in hindsight
>>
>>55361466
Yeah I know wildshape has utility but if I wanted to be a combat oriented wildshape druid, I'm getting kinda screwed if this is the case. I might as well play a land druid and just use wildshape for the utility.

Also where is my plantshaping druid at? I wanna be a tomato ._.
>>
>>55361382
Do animated dead have souls? All I saw in the PHB was "foul mimicry of life", but i assume its been covered by lore elsewhere. If they're basically just gross robots, then if you can get over the grossness and the possible disrespect for the dead... it's not that evil?
>>
>>55361476
A wizard specializing in a school should be the best class for that school. I do think necromancy should be a serious option for warlocks, though.
>>
>>55361493
>Do animated dead have souls?
No
>>
>>55361490
Do you have a feat? If so you took the variant.
>>
File: gunslinger.pdf (2MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
gunslinger.pdf
2MB, 1x1px
After collecting criticism for my Gunslinger rogue archetype, I've made some changes to the following features:

Nimble Fingers has been changed to Ambidextrous and now unambiguously defines the gunslinger's ability to dual wield ranged weapons.

Quickdraw no longer overlaps with sharpshooter, and has been given a disarm option in exchange for damage.

To mirror the cowboy trope of shooting people out of windows and lessen the obtuseness of the feature, Point Blank is now a 5ft knock back on a failed save, or a knock prone under certain circumstances.
>>
>>55361491
You're assuming that land druid offers anything resembling reasonable benefits. It doesn't.

As for plantshaping, Staff of the Woodlands lets you turn into a tree.
>>
File: image.png (201KB, 377x408px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
201KB, 377x408px
>>55361493
The magic is inherently evil. A fire can burn a man or warm his house, but creating undead is always a no-no.
>>
>>55361549
depends on the setting
>>
>>55361558
5e has a default setting. Unless the original post states otherwise, everything is FR.
>>
>>55360579
Attunement was mostly so that the Mephits had a "Summoner" to obey, but that could just be the one holding the item.

And.. Yeah my players would most certainly try to do that.

Any input on two persistant lackeys or a one off big summon similar to Horn of valhalla?
>>
>>55361549
This is probably the point where it goes into the usual ethical question of whether doing something evil is necessarily evil if sufficient measures are in place that prevent it from attaining evil ends.

i.e. some allergies the modern era are treated by deliberately infecting the patient's body with inherently parasitic hookworms with the idea that they will be excised from the body. Is the action of infecting someone else's body with a parasite necessarily evil if the doctor knows he can kill the parasite and cure the patient later?
>>
If the numerical equivalent of advantage / disadvantage is +/- 5, what is the numerical equivalent for other die?

> d4 +/-1
> d6 +/-2
> d8 +/-2
> d10 +/-3
???
>>
>>55361609
It's not actually 5, though. It's 3.something.
>>
>>55361609
You don't get disadvantage on damage rolls so it doesn't matter?
>>
Just got my hard copy of ToA. am answering questions if you have them
>>
>>55361635
You don't really get advantage on damage rolls much either outside of savage attacker, and
>taking savage attacker if you're not a moon druid
>>
>>55361296
I want of Magic Missiles will be a nice touch, because even if you plan on being in wildshape all of the time you can just go nova and dump most of the charges into one spell per day.
>>
>>55361648
Will you scan it?
>>
>>55361296
A necklace of telepathy.
>>
>>55361549
Rewritten and abridged with removal of negative vibes:

Necromantic magic turns corpses to zombies under the complete control of the wizard. It works on dead animals too. Zombies, much like regular corpses, can only be brought back to life by resurrection spells [?]. Unattended zombies are dangerous.
>>
>>55361187
>The healing spells could all be Transmutation
Actually, no, they should all be Necromancy as, historically, that was what necromantic study was all about; reversing death.
>>
>>55361578
Where does it say FR is the default setting?
>>
>>55361677
no scanner. am terrible.
>>
>>55361635
> You don't get disadvantage on damage rolls so it doesn't matter?

Does that mean there's not a number? Or do you just not know.
>>
>>55361702
Every published adventure except CoS is set in FR. It might as well be the default setting. Keep in mind "default" doesn't mean "mandatory."

>>55361692
Do you mean "historically" as in "earlier D&D editions"? Because in real life, "necromancy" is a form of divination.
>>
I don't really care about the adventure that much, but has anyone seen the rules for getting lost/travel in Tomb of Annihilation yet? I'd like to know about them, I just use a streamlined/5e version of the hex crawl rules from the Alexandrian and I'd like to see the differences.
>>
>>55361609
It's not +/- 5. Everything you've been taught is a lie, and Santa isn't real.
>>
>>55361702
Heck, anon. Look through your PBH for references to forgotten realms. They look through it again for references to greyhawk or dragonlance or points of light.
>>
>>55361648
Any spell scrolls?
>>
How plausible in most settings do you think a clan of Shadow Monks who work as business espionage (like information theft, stealing secret recipes, trade routes, plans, etc.) could be in most DND settings?
>>
>>55360682
Hello friend.
>>
>>55361754
That's what most ninjas actually did rather than actually assassinating people, so it sounds completely reasonable.
>>
>>55361729
Probably meant for D&D editions. -mancy literally means divination, in necromancy's case, it meant talking to the dead rather than reviving them.
>>
>>55361754
>monks
>running a business that involves travel
>upset.jpg
>>
>>55361648
How many new monsters are there? Not including reprinted stat blocks and can you post them as pictures?
>>
>>55361785
https://imgur.com/a/iglMj
>>
>>55361784
Are you actually retarded or something? Monks traveled all the time historically.
>>
>>55361648

Any new race options? I know Grung were hinted at via AL.
>>
>>55361648

>>55361741
>>
>>55361784

Well the book says Shadow Monks are sometimes parts of thieves guilds or clans that have people buy their services so that's the line I was thinking of taking.

>>55361769

Cool. Being a generic "assassin" is what I was trying to avoid.
>>
>>55361220
Thanks for the feedback, anon! I'll change it to be only usable as a bonus action and ditch the name of the spell it's based on. The +1 strength is meant to apply on attack rolls aswell, yes, how would you word it?
>>
>>55361807
Mostly they sat in their monasteries and made wine and colored peas.
>>
>>55361609
Just 'cause I like math, (dis)advantage on difference dice would be
>d20 +/- 3.1667
>d12 +/- 1.8333
>d10 +/- 1.5
>d8 +/- 1.1667
>d6 +/- 0.8333
>d4 +/- 0.5

If you still want to consider the value of (dis)advantage on d20 as 5, instead, then the rest would be, in comparison
>d12 +/- 2.8947
>d10 +/- 2.3684
>d8 +/- 1.5789
>d6 +/- 1.3157
>d4 +/- 0.7895

Where you go from here is up to you~
>>
>>55361826
Retarded it is then.
>>
>>55360330
For reasons, he decides to stick around in the city, maybe he lends them his ring of spell storing loaded up with a nice emergency healing spell. Then he sticks around the city able to cast teleport circle if they need it.

If they lack a healer, they lack a healer. They will overcome, they will rely on their high constitution and more short-rests to survive. If they really, REALLY struggle, maybe say "Well, if anyone thinks their hero might retire to the background for a while and work as an NPC they can roll a cleric to join the party.".
>>
>>55361814
No. There's inspiration with dinosaur people, and crab people as NPCs.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (16KB, 326x82px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
16KB, 326x82px
>>55361784
It does also say that most monks have no concern for personal wealth if the business part is the issue, but payment can come in other forms too. Alms, support in furthering the monastery's mission, or the right to operate a temple on a local lord's lands are all reasonable reasons why a monk might work in corporate esponiage.
>>
>>55361722
>max(2d4) gives an average of about 3.1 instead of 2.5 of 1d4
>max(2d6) gives 4.47 instead of 3.5
>max(2d8) gives 5.8 instead of 4.5
>max(2d10) gives 7.1 instead of 5.5
>>
>>55361833
Enlighten me, then, on gregor mendel's grand travels.
>>
>>55361836

Hm, that is severely disappointing. They probably held off on it so they could shoehorn it into Xanathar.
>>
>>55361852
>there was only ever one monk
>>
>>55361826
Those are white people monks, which are closer to clerics.
Asian monks fought in wars, often directly alongside or against conventional forces.
>>
>>55361814
Grung & Tortles will be released as stand alone pdfs, probably for the DnD Extra Life 2017 charity stream.
>>
>Looking over Tales of the Yawning Portal (table is gonna round Robin DM all the adventures soon) and leaks of ToA
>Realize I've been playing the wrong characters in the wrong campaigns

Gosh darnit.
>>
>>55361825
I would avoid having it apply to attack rolls, because 5e doesn't really want stacking static bonuses, which this will lead to.

>>55361869
>white people monks, which are closer to clerics.
No, they're closer to priests. Clerics are crusaders.

>>55361743
>Santa isn't real.
Wait what
>>
>>55361804
>Atropal is only CR 13

FUCKING RREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>Your dungeon has more than 5-6 rooms max

Why?
>>
>>55361890
Because "dungeon" doesn't always mean "a locale created specifically to serve as a 2-hour exploration exercise for level-appropriate adventurer," contrary to what you seem to believe.
>>
>>55361905
It's a game
>>
>>55361887
Pretty sure you fight him next to Acererak, so it's not as powerful on purpose.
>>
>>55361890
Please stop shitting up one of the only normal threads here with that bullshit way of starting a discussion. Go make a new thread and get banned, baiter-kun.
>>
File: This guy.png (330KB, 483x322px) Image search: [Google]
This guy.png
330KB, 483x322px
>>55361826
>Mostly they sat in their monasteries and made wine and colored peas.
>>
>>55361914
I'm sorry, I like my D&D with a bit more verisimilitude than a round of Munchkin.
>>
>>55361850
Oh, your math is different from mine. I figured the average of a die roll was equal to (the number of sides - 1) / 2 + 1, so with disadvantage it was (the number of sides - 1) / 3 + 1 and advantage was (the number of sides - 1) / 3 x 2 + 1. Is this wrong? If so, how come?
>>
>>55361882
Yes but priests are not a 5e class while clerics and monks are so clerics will have to do.
>>
>>55361741
Each hex is 10 miles. At normal speed, you can move 1 hex per day, or 2 hex per day on lakes/rivers (provided you have a canoe). Moving at a fast pace, roll a d4, 3-4 lets players move an additional hex; they also get -5 penalty to passive Perception to Wisdom (Survival) checks for Navigation (more on that in a bit). Moving slowly, roll a d4, 1-2 means they move 1 less hex per day, (so 0 on foot, 1 on river/lakes in canoes), but they can move stealthily and also have +5 bonus to their Wisdom (Survival) check for Navigation.

For navigation, whoever is the navigator (whether it's a PC, or an NPC such as a guide), makes a Wisdom (Survival) check at the start of each new traveling day. DC 10 for coasts and lakes, DC 15 for jungles, mountains, rivers, swamps, and wastelands. Succeeding means players know where they are and to which hex(es) they're moving. Failing means that when the party is moving into a new hex, you roll a d6 to randomly determine which adjacent hex to the one they're currently in they go to instead. When the party next succeeds on their check for navigation, you then reveal on the map where they actually are.
>>
>>55361929
>Mendel is the father of modern science and genetics
>Dalai Lama is a just a Chinese terrorist
>>
File: IMG_5010.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5010.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>55361785
This is all the monsters. Let me know if you want a picture of a specific one
>>
>>55360596
I really should get back into Monster Hunter, those games were fun.
>>
File: IMG_5011.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5011.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Navigation rules
>>
>>55361964
>Mendel is the father of modern science
The scientific method developed in Mendel's absence, which either suggests that Mendel was an African-American father or that he was not actually the father of modern science.
>>
>>55362006
Have you seen the trailers for Monster Hunter World? I haven't been so hyped for a new game in a long time
>>
>>55361938
Writing statistical notation on 4chan isn't the easiest, but what I did was SUM from x=1 to y (y is the number of sides of the given die) of ((2(x-1)+1)x)/(y^2)

for instance, for a d6, you do (SUM(x=1 -> 6) 2(x^2-x))/36
>>
File: 1499026086426.png (42KB, 424x213px) Image search: [Google]
1499026086426.png
42KB, 424x213px
>>55361975
>Mantrap
>>
>>55361825
I would word it like Rage is worded for Barbarians:
"You gain a +1 to Strength checks (and saving throws, if this applies to your item) and to melee weapon attack rolls using Strength."
It seems like a cool item, pretty powerful. What level are your PCs and how did/how will they get it?
>>
File: advantage.png (24KB, 602x442px) Image search: [Google]
advantage.png
24KB, 602x442px
>>55361609
The value of advantage/disadvantage isn't linear when it comes to chance to hit. This chart shows the relationship there. It's a little off since any .X5 is rounded up, but it shows the gist.
>>
>>55361852
Why is an Austrian priest born in 1822 supposed to be the model for the medieval monks of the far east?
>>
File: IMG_5008.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5008.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>55362041
>>
>>55361975
>>55362010
added to ToA leaks album
http://imgur.com/a/iglMj
>>
>>55362035
for another clarification, this ends up being 161/36 = 4.47

I'm basically summing up the all of the possible (take the highest number) outcomes based on 2 die rolls, and dividing them by the total number of die rolls
>>
>>55362057
>monk class given to people from the sword coast, nowhere near FR's !far east
>>
>>55361404
Only ever wild shape into apes of some variety. You get to keep your thumbs and magic items magically resize to fit any vaguely humanoid form it is equipped on.
>>
>>55362062
added to ToA leaks album
http://imgur.com/a/iglMj
>>
>>55362072
>Jaculi
>CR 1/2 with no flying or swimming speed
>blindsight
>has a 30 foot leap ability that ends with a 4d6+2 damage attack with advantage
>advantage on stealth checks when hiding
I know what my next druid is wildshaping into
>>
What levels should I be giving players +1, +2, +3 weapons?
>>
Anyone here have advice how to project a well loved and inspiring ruler? I'm DMing and my autistic ass has problems putting myself in the shoes of that person. Plus I don't want to have it feel like I'm cramming down my players throats with like "Oh, everybody loves this king huh? Whatever DMPC.".

I've got scenarios and ideas in my head, I just have problems actually doing them along with feeling embarrassed about it. I want to get better at it.
>>
File: 1489433811647.png (96KB, 325x358px) Image search: [Google]
1489433811647.png
96KB, 325x358px
>>55362035
I dropped out of school after trig and have no idea what you just said, so I'm going to assume you're right and I'm wrong.
>>
>>55362107
Whenever you want. You ultimately decide how hard an encounter is with or without magic weapons. I argue 4/8/11/14/17 for +1/2/3/4/5 respectfully but honestly, it shouldn't be so rigid. Sometimes your bad players need a boost, sometimes you need them to have a magic item sooner, sometimes it's just fun to give them something strong.
>>
>>55362107

noob here, is a +1 weapon a +1 to attack, damage, both?
>>
>>55362107
>+1
Level 4-5
>+2
Level 10-13
>+3
Whenever they get the Sword of Kas to fight Vecna at the end of your campaign.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (111KB, 504x488px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
111KB, 504x488px
>>55362083
Right, and why would 19th century Austria-Hungary be remotely representative of that?
>>
>>55362138
Both
>>
File: 1446780380226.jpg (106KB, 532x664px) Image search: [Google]
1446780380226.jpg
106KB, 532x664px
>>55361897
>tfw to intelligent too become awakened
>>
>>55362138
Both
>>
>>55362129
No worries, anon. I just recently graduated from college with a degree in Mathematics, but even I feel unsure of myself about this shit most of the time.

Math ain't easy.
>>
>>55362146
>monks have nothing to do with the far east
>you keep trying to bring up that mendel wasn't from the far east as if that's relevant
>>
>>55361827
Advantage changes the distribution such that on a common DC range (ones where you have to roll on the die at least 7 - at least 15) it's roughly equivalent to a d20+5. Conversely, d20+3 is only that close for the at least 4 - at least 6 range. Source: anydice.com
>>
>>55362158
Congrats anon
>>
>>55362107
Depends on the style and magic level of the campaign. "Never" is as legitimate an answer as any.
>>
>>55362158
>tfw about to graduate with Physics degree
>never took trig
Haha, it's been fun
>>
>>55362169
Not that I meant to apply the averages you posted are wrong, just potentially misleading for DCs/saves/attack rolls in practice.
>>
>>55362137
There are no +4 or +5 weapons in 5e, anon.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (48KB, 416x570px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
48KB, 416x570px
>>55362166
Right, and where but the far-east are you going to see this kind of architecture, as depicted in the PHB? From which non far-eastern country are you going to derive the word "Ki?"

I keep on bringing up mendel because he is apparently your idea of the paragon representing all a D&D Monk ought to be, for whatever reason.
>>
>>55362177
How the fuck did you pass anything that had to do with waves?
>>
File: IMG_5007.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5007.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
The map in the back is incredible. Huge and super detailed
>>
>>55362154
>to
at least you don't have that problem, anon.
>>
>>55362177
>Physics degree
>no calculus
B.A?

>>55362195
Now I feel retarded. So use to +5 being the max.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (94KB, 356x504px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
94KB, 356x504px
>>55362197
>>55362166
> In lands with an Asian cultural flavor
>>
>>55362195
>not giviing your players a +5/-5 greatsword of accurate babyarms
Uhhhhmmm, 5ebabs?
>>
>>55362224
You didn't read that whole blurb. Guess how I can tell.
>>
Is taking a level in life cleric before going Wizard too min-maxy?

I'm also planning to go Variant Human,
trying to decide what feat to take with this
>>
File: rescuers up over.gif (478KB, 283x200px) Image search: [Google]
rescuers up over.gif
478KB, 283x200px
>>55361975
>>55362010
>>
>>55362158
Oh, congratulations. I probably should've done something like that, but I chose being a NEET instead.

>>55362169
>>55362185
I see. Within the confines of the game, it really is a different story.
>>
>>55362215
Hey no need to feel retarded, anon, they also did away with the "immune to less than a +3" sort of thing so they're less necessary, not to mention that there are a lot of +0 options like Flame Tongue, Sword of Sharpness, etc. It cuts down on the "gotta get the best weapons in the game" problem a little bit, I've found.
>>
>>55362237
As long as you don't abuse the flagrant fuck-up in RAW about spellslots and have a good backstory as to why, you should be ok.
>>
>>55362241
IM SORRY. im not very good at this
>>
>>55362200
Waves are actually pretty intuitive, honestly. Never had a ton of issues with them. I just got a with memorizing the identities, and furiously relearning them every time a new semester started. I don't have a fucking clue when it comes to trig if you put me on the spot, but I get myself back up to speed, but I never really learned it well, no.

Now lenses. FUCK lenses. I keep taking Astro courses and lenses, which I'm aware are pretty simple, just kick my shit in, and I have no idea why.

>>55362215
B.S
Course I took in HS counted as Trig, but there was maybe a week or two spent on it. Calc profs never bothered teaching trig or doing reviews so I was just kinda fucked starting out.
>>
>>55362138
>hello i have literally never played dnd
>>
>>55362252
...I actually don't know the fuck up you're talking about. And I'm gonna ask what it is because I also DM a group and feel like I need to know
>>
>>55362250
That's really a good thing. It really sucks in 3.p where a +x Adamantine longsword is pretty much required to kill anything beyond level 5. It sucks and isn't interesting to find magic shit if you practically are required to have it.

>>55362260
At least put it upside down so the Aussies and Kiwis can read it
>>
>>55362237
Not if it makes sense for the character.
Resilient (Con) is a good one, or Warcaster if you plan on using the Heavy Armor/Shield profs from your Cleric level and getting hit once in a while. Cleric 1/Abjurer X would be OK as a tanky caster.
>>
>>55362270
>Waves are actually pretty intuitive, honestly
I have a physics minor and I just don't understand how you could do any math with sin waves without knowing trig.
>>
>>55362234
Ooh, I know! Is it because everything beyond the greentext quote directly contradicts Anon's argument?
>>
File: Shar.jpg (74KB, 400x663px) Image search: [Google]
Shar.jpg
74KB, 400x663px
>>55362234
>>55362308
Ah yes, Xan Yae, Zuoken and the cult that worships an asian lady, you're really grinding my gears here.
>>
>>55362270
Yeah, when I said "trig" what I really meant was "Pre-Calculus," which was a little bit of algebra, mostly trigonometry and an introduction to calculus. Our teacher actually advised us to take what was being called Algebra III instead of Calculus, too, because somehow over two years and some change wasn't good enough. Nobody wanted to hear that, either; everyone envisioned taking Calculus senior year. I dropped out, though, so didn't have to worry about it.
>>
>>55360623
To defeat atropal be a paladin/fighter MC with haste and unleash 5 divine smites
>>
File: 1427680391880.jpg (61KB, 540x406px) Image search: [Google]
1427680391880.jpg
61KB, 540x406px
>>55362252
There's no RAW fuckup.
>>
>>55362323
>literally cherry picking: the post
>>
>>55362302
I dunno, repetition I guess?
I guess I learned enough in practice, but it really did hurt starting out.
>>
>>55362250
>>55362285
I have made a decision not to have weapons (or armor) with +anything on them in games that I DM, except for the occasional powerful artifact. +0 magical weapons being able to bypass all resistances is swell, especially when I can homebrew magical weapons whose enchantments aren't even related to combat.
>>
>>55362283
RAW it seems to imply that by taking 2 caster classes, for example Cleric 1/Wiz X, you can learn any spell from either list at any level you have spell slots for (so, by the MC spellcasting table, as a Cleric 1/Wiz 2, you can learn level 2 Wizard and Cleric spells).
However, you prepare spells as a single-classed caster, as per RAW as well, so as a Cleric 1/Wizard 4, you can only prepare level 1 Cleric spells and level 2 Wiz spells (even though your total caster level is 5, and you have level 3 slots, you do not learn any level 3 spells yet).
It was clarified in the errata, if there is any confusion or conflict with your players.
>>
>>55362270
>Says he didn't take trig
>Took a class that qualified as trig

Stop trying to bamboozle us! Gratz on your big dumb degree you'll get soon, welcome to the science community.
>>
>>55362323
Oh yes, Shar and Ilmater are extremely Asian. Tyr too, now that you mention it.
I actually don't know why I'm even responding to someone arguing in such bad faith. This probably says more about me than about you.
>>
>>55362345
Fair enough.
I can understand your frustration with lenses though. I never had too much trouble with them, but what really got me for some reason was tension. Literal quantum mechanics came easier to me than fucking tension.
>>
>>55362336
>No RAW fuck up
>Errata'd

hmmmmmm
>>
>>55362245
>I probably should've done something like that, but I chose being a NEET instead.

Despite my math degree, I'm still just working retail and getting paid minimum wage, nothing's changed.

D&D is my only solace
>>
File: Kane01.jpg (11KB, 250x140px) Image search: [Google]
Kane01.jpg
11KB, 250x140px
>>55362376
>Shar
See the pic linked in the exact post you're quoting. She sure doesn't look like she comes from any other race.

>Ilmater
Right, because his disciples clearly follow western martial traditions? (see pic related)
>>
>>55362245
My Grandma got her degree at 38 being a single mom with 2 shitty kids. Life isn't over yet. Take your NEET ass to college, get laid by fat art-degree chicks and get a degree (in a practical industry)
>>
>>55362379
But it's literally not an errata. That's why it's not in the errata list. At best it's a clarification, since considering each class as seperate when it refers to spells it can cast is so integral to the game that it extends into things like Bard's Magical Secrets, and other features.
>>
>>55362367
>spend a week going over the most barebones version of "Trig" imaginable
>counts as trig for transfer credits because HS gets money from some organization when people are enrolled thus encouraging college bound students to take it
>start college with no idea what I'm doing despite the teachers expecting me to have that understanding
Y u mad tho? Mech E, Creative Coding?
>>
>>55362237
Just play https://astranauta.github.io/classes.html#Wizard,Theurgy%20(UA)
>>
>>55362376
It's time to give up, anon. Monks can only ever be weeaboo trash and you'll never convince him otherwise.
>>
File: Ain't even mad.jpg (7KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
Ain't even mad.jpg
7KB, 259x194px
>>55362415
>Mad

It's a joke dude. I even congratulated you on getting close to finishing. Calm your titties.

Geochemistry, only needed calc 1 we both know comp-sci isnt a real science and neither is engineering
>>
How can I do a better job of playing a warlock's patron? He is serving a fiend, specifically a Yugoloth. I have had him do things like publish rituals and try to convince people to give up their souls in roundabout manners, but nothing particularly significant. I'd imagine that the fiend would want to see evil furthered in the world, and gain more power but how can I actually leverage that?
>>
>>55362429
Monks can only be weeaboo trash if whoever made the setting you play in is an unimaginative buffoon, or a weeaboo.
While this may or may not describe the majority of both published and homebrewed settings, it does not describe all of them, regardless of your personal experiences.
>>
File: wrong.jpg (45KB, 750x591px) Image search: [Google]
wrong.jpg
45KB, 750x591px
>>55362436
>comp-sci isnt a real science and neither is engineering
>>
>>55362439
First, is the Warlock actually evil or is he a good boy trying to appease an evil fiend?

If he's evil make him start rounding up homeless people and shit as sacrifices slowly making your fiend more and more hungry for 'powerful' souls to force him to get bigger targets or whatever.

If he's a good boy with a bad patron, you need some kind of mutual benefit or some shit. Make him walk a fine line between good and evil. Make the fiend try to get him to give up his soul to save innocence or some shit.

Guess it depends on how hardcore you want this patron to dictate what the Warlock should or shouldn't be doing.
>>
>>55362376
>monk abilities literally uses a power that uses a Japanese word
>no, the monk class isn't based on Asian monks that fought in Wars and did martial arts
>it's based on 19th century European abbots
I mean if you want to brew alcohol and write treatises, these are multiple other classes better suited.
>>
>>55362411
>get laid by fat art-degree chicks
That kind of culture is part of why I dropped out, though. College isn't the kind of place I thought it was growing up. Amusingly, the Internet is closer to what I thought college was.
>>
>>55362439
Have him do favors and dirty work for other longer serving minions of the patron. Get him to kill a lesser son of a minor lord then let him find out a few sessions later that an alliance crumbled because a marriage couldn't take place due to the lack of a groom.
>>
Why does Beast Bond have an INT maximum? Or Awaken for that matter?
>>
>tfw your DM's homebrew setting started out interesting but is becoming a bloated mess
>>
>>55362436
Th-thanks
>>55362455
Comp-sci is magical rituals desu. Shit hurts my brain. That's why I go to my local techpriest and let him whisper sweet binary nothings into my processor's mic port
>>
>>55362455
Science: (noun): the intellectual and practical activity encompassing the systematic study of the structure and behavior of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment.

I don't see man-made concepts or study of the unnatural/human world.

tfw you trigger comp sci virgins

More on topic, is there a 'brawler' or non-traditional monk archetype? I just wanna be a fucking boxer or a Dwarf berserk/whatever
>>
>>55362496
Please don't be one of my players. I thought I was doing well. Q.Q
>>
>>55362506
Describe your setting :^)
>>
>>55362453
Sure, but I would not be determining what a shadow monk should or shouldn't do based upon a single individual from an entirely different era.

Hell, even medieval monks travelled and did business. I can name at least one monk who traveled from Germany to Rome, saw monks selling religious documents for funds, and then nailed some complaints of the wall of his local church.
>>
>>55362503
>tfw you trigger comp sci virgins
Not a virgin but a comp sci graduate and definitely triggered :^)
>>
>>55362477
I can't tell if this is some edgy shit or not but college is whatever you make it. You got people in their 40's who go to college and don't partake in the partying. They go in, learn some shit then get out. Don't treat college like a lifestyle, treat it as a job you have to do to further your career path
>>
>>55362423
So that's pretty cool...but it does seem to be flat out worse than the cleric dip?

You don't get the armor and AC and you also give up the benefits of having a Wizard school.

Where's the positives on this?
>>
>tfw you know that your DM browses here, and can't vent about his horrible game
Yeah, I'm talking to you. It's me, the Paladin. Shape up, or everyone's going to quit.
>>
>>55362528
This isn't the place to air your dirty laundry
>>
>>55362517
Hey, I'm not saying I don't need you I really need you anon-kun please fix my shitty database and mapping software and where do I download more RAM? I'm just saying it isn't a true science. Didn't mean to come across as 'superior' or anything.
>>
>>55362528
oh thank god there's no Paladin in my game

>tfw when you party talks about your games away from the table and they're having a blast

god I love being ok at DMing. One day I might even be good!
>>
>>55362540
Why, are you getting nervous James?
>>
Don't suppose we have a picture of the Chult map?
>>
>>55362554
>>55362210
this guy has it, but I haven't seen a good pic yet.
>>
>>55362526
You don't slow your spell availability progression like you do when you multiclass. You have one unified casting stat, INT, so you don't need a high WIS score either, and it takes far fewer levels to get full access to the cleric spell list.
>>
>>55362545
No worries anon, I know how to take a joke
>>
>>55362526
You can actually take 2nd level cleric spells and greater as you go, and you give up about nothing from being a normal wizard.
>>
PSA: Whichever anons have been posting the new threads lately, THERE IS ALREADY ANOTHER 5EG TO GO TO WHEN THIS ONE DIES. Don't get ahead of yourselves.
>>
>>55362515
Reality is the mix of the planes of Order and Chaos. Dwarves never stop growing and tieflings don't have hair.
>>
>>55362554
You can download it from Mike Schley's site for free. I think the player/character map with the bulk of the map blocked out can be downloaded from the newest Dragon+ magazine.
>>
>>55362526
>>55362569
Also, Divine Arcana is actually a really strong and versatile channel divinity when applied to multi-turn save-or-damage spells. +2 to spell hit isn't huge thanks to proficiency, but a +2 to a save DC can be huge.
>>
>>55362072
The more I see of this the more I want to run it. It's like Isle of Dread, Dwellers of the Forbidden City and Tomb Of Horrors all mashed into one amazing campaign.
>>
Ok, so I love my players, I really do. They're a great bunch of guys to hang and game with. But I'm the only one of us with a positive, non-neutral opinion of 5e. Which means if I don't run it, then we will never get to play it.

My schedule is too tight between gradschool and work to add another group, even an online one. My players are all pathfinder players, but I'm sick of it after playing it so much.

I just need to vent. I'll never get to play my favorite system.
>>
File: 1488305732967.jpg (149KB, 1424x1060px) Image search: [Google]
1488305732967.jpg
149KB, 1424x1060px
>ToA uses flail snails

Yesssssssssssss.
>>
>>55362590
>>55362515
If you ARE one of my players, it does neither of us any good if you go quiet now. This is an opportunity to give me feedback anonymously if you so choose.
>>
>>55362677
>5e
>favorite
u wot
>>
>>55362823
Why not? What's your favorite, friend?
>>
File: stone.gif (755KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
stone.gif
755KB, 320x240px
>>55362590
>>
>>55362835
Deathwatch or MAID
>>
File: bard-illusion-_XX.png (485KB, 730x835px) Image search: [Google]
bard-illusion-_XX.png
485KB, 730x835px
A reminder that Dissonant Whispers is still one of the best first level spells.

https://www.sageadvice.eu/2016/05/29/does-the-movement-from-dissonant-whispers-provoke-opportunity-attacks/
>>
>>55362843
Never heard of em
>>
>>55362853
Doesn't that also make fear pretty good (for those without access to dissonant whispers?)
>>
File: image.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>55362554
>>
>tfw abjuration wizard
>no one believes that you can actually tank like a mother fucker
>misty step into group of enemies
>almost never hit by an attack thanks to shield
>ward almost never even gets damaged as a result
>if ward gets taken out it goes to my false life temp HP
>despite this everyone still thinks of me as squishy wizard

How do I make senpais notice me
I just want to be bubble boy
reposted cus im retarded
>>
>>55362907
Yes. As it uses their action to move away. The only difference is that dissonant whispers happens immediately, while Fear has an AOE and makes you drop stuff.
>>
>>55362853
Does it work with Infestation?
>>
>>55362931
Who is tanking for you right now? Start giving them your ward with your level 6 feature until they realize that it's good.
Maybe get a shield too (even though you don't have proficiency with it) to emphasize the point.
>>
>>55362842
Filename related?
>>
>>55362967
>Infestation
No, as this spell does not use the target's movement, actions, or reactions to move.
>>
Quick, Banishment or polymorph?
>>
>>55363001
For what purpose?
>>
>>55363001
Polymorph, if you have a familiar (you can turn it into a dinosaur!).
Banishment, if you fight a lot of extraplanar creatures.
>>
>>55363001
depends on the situation.
>>
NO ONE MAKE A NEW THREAD.

Migrate whenever
>>55355993
>>55355993
>>55355993
>>55355993
>>
>>55361309
Its slavery for one. For two you are denying the soul their rest and enjoyment in after life or reincarnation. For three undead are dangerous and if you lose controle they will do harm
>>
>>55362842
>>55362986
Don't leave me hanging with cryptic reaction images.
If I'm your DM, just confirm it, maybe tell me what you don't like, and I promise not to bring it up in perosn.
If I'm NOT your DM, let me know so I can stop worrying and go to sleep.
>>
>>55363015
>>55363011
I'm a level 8 sorcerer and I'm narrowed down to those 2 4th level options

>>55363012
I hadn't considered the familiar thing
>>
>>55363012
>Polymorph, if you have a familiar (you can turn it into a dinosaur!).
>donald_trump_WRONG.jpeg
>>
>>55363045
take polymorph
>>
>>55363045
>I hadn't considered the familiar thing
>read the book black man

The new form can be any beast whose challenge rating is equal to or less than the target's (or the target's level, if it doesn't have a challenge rating).

Polymorph is still the better option. Unless you're fighting extra planar entities all the time. But even then it's not as versatile. Nor does it ensure the threat won't return.
>>
>>55363050
Yes, my bad, I misremembered it as "a CR equal to the caster," not to the target.
>>
>>55363012
>Polymorph, if you have a familiar (you can turn it into a dinosaur!).

Wait how? Polymorph says
>"The new form can be any beast whose challenge rating is equal to or less than the target's (or the target's level, if it doesn't have a challenge rating)."

Limiting it to at most a CR 1/2 I think?
>>
>>55363079
It's okay I forgive you. I thought about making a build based on this before but I read the spell carefully

Too bad there aren't any really good summons outside of the nearly unmanageable "summon a fuck ton of wolves" spells. And conjure elemental is sort of okay. But has two major drawbacks, casting time and losing concentration.
>>
>>55361959
Fucking rangers screw this up but I will just say its unfamiliar terrain
>>
>>55363168
>someone actually plays ranger
>take away the one thing they have that makes them somewhat useful
>>
>>55362911
Can't you not show your players because of spoilers?
>>
>>55363214
At the very least instead of taking it away from the ranger, give them advantage for their check or some shit.
>>
>>55362967
Nope, per the rules text on Opportunity Attacks:

"You also don’t provoke an opportunity attack when you teleport or when someone or something moves you without using your movement, action, or reaction."

If the target isn't taking an action or reaction and it isn't spending their movement, it doesn't trigger an AoO.
>>
>>55362853
>Dissonant Whispers
>Fear
>Command
>Confusion
All great spells for Warcasters

Question about Compelled Duel can the target under the effect of this just keep trying to move out? The spell does not say the target has to stop trying to move out of the 30 ft. range after the first failed save. So what stops them from just trying again?
>>
>>55363270
>If the target isn't taking an action reaction and it isn't spending their movement, it doesn't trigger an AOO.

Does this include a bonus action like say a rogue who uses the dash action as a bonus action or something similar?
>>
>>55363333
A bonus action is a type of action, so yes it counts
>>
>>55363348
Got it.
>>
>>55363333
When you dash, you add to your movement. You still spend that movement in order to move, so it triggers.
Even if you could dash as a free action, you'd still trigger OAs.
Thread posts: 354
Thread images: 48

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.