[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 381
Thread images: 39

File: bruenor.jpg (181KB, 625x713px) Image search: [Google]
bruenor.jpg
181KB, 625x713px
>Unearthed Arcana: Three-Pillar Experience
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-ThreePillarXP.pdf

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Alternate Trove:
https://dnd.rem.uz/5e%20D%26D%20Books/

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread:
>>55296414

List three of your character's goals and three of their fears.
>>
>>55299499
why does everyone play wizards (and other spellcasters), but no one plays druids, rogues, or rangers?
>>
>>55299499
1. Reforge his city's prized artifact weapon
2. Retake the parts of the city seized by drow
3. Avenge his brother and gain honour and recognition from his city, clan, and father by doing the above two.

His fears would be not being allowed back into his homeland, bringing shame upon his family, and seeing a companion or family member die because of his incompetence, like what happened with his brother.
>>
>>55299515
That's funny, most of my group is kind of all wanting to give Druid a try once the current campaign is over. Seriously, one's considering a wood elf druid, one's considering either an aarakocra or firbolg druid and the less said about what Little Miss Snowflake wants me to allow for her "druid" the better. And the only reason player #4 isn't interested in a druid is that he's already playing one in a different game.
And two of these players are rangers in the current game.
>>
> Goals

Succeed on creating a new magical theorem or create a legendary artifact magic item.

Eventually adventure alongside his older, more experienced sister as a family to confront the problems facing their world together.

Survive long enough to have/raise some family of his own.

> Fears

That the temptations he encounters along the his journey will lure him off his true path.

That not all of his party members are as morally well-centered as him.

That eventually he might need to help kill one (or more) of his current party members after they go over "the line" to stop a threat before it emerges.
>>
>new thread while the old one is on page 6
fuck off
>>
>>55299499
Find my lost brother.
Get to "know better" the Lord Commander of Feathergale knights.
Smite all the evil.

I fear nothing, i am paladin. But probably running out of smites. Eh. I mean:
One day, i am going to be old, weak and ugly. I am scared of being unable to protect the others - that's why i became a paladin, but time probably won't be merciful. And i am frightened of not being pretty.
>>
>>55299501
>dm is your boyfriend
>giving you special treatment over other players
that explains everything
>>
>>55299546
Forest Gnome Druids are thematic af
>>
>>55299515
We had everything except ranger in our group.
I guess ranger is weird. I don't like my huntsmen to cast spells and the nature vibe doesn't really work for me. I love rogues, though.
>>
>>55299566
Oooh now that's a story to tell.

>hey BF, you suck at Dming
>????
>profit
>>
>>55299568
Which is pretty much the only tolerable part of Little Miss Snowflake's "druid" concept...
>>
>>55299578
There was an Unearthed Arcana about a spell-less ranger a while back but from what I recall... it wasn't very good.
>>
File: 1.jpg (39KB, 598x608px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
39KB, 598x608px
>players infiltrate evil fortress posing as hired muscle
>thief sneaks into BBEG's room while he's sleeping
>asks if he can just stab him in the throat
>after trying to subtly hint at it just tell him outright the guy has 78 hitpoints and I'm not letting him instakill him (if he was just plain human MAYBE I'd let him but boss is more than human)
>then starts asking if he can set the room on fire and bar the door
>mfw

You guys have cheesed or talked your way out of every bossfight thus far I'm making you fight this guy with the help from the captives you're supposed to rescue not ignore.
>>
>>55299601
Its not bad per se, but its sort of all over the place.
>>
>>55299604
Does BBEG not post guards to keep watch on his doors and windows???
>>
>>55299612
He does but the thief managed to sneak *above* them since he's small enough to fit through windows that aren't real windows.
>>
>>55299605
At this point, me and my players are just sort of making the class as we go. Fun, but not usable in any other campaign other than our own.
>>
>>55299612
...windows that aren't real windows? And the BBEG just leaves these easily accessible areas?
He deserves to die for being so shit at preparing against assassinations.
>>
File: 1502808312467.jpg (61KB, 895x944px) Image search: [Google]
1502808312467.jpg
61KB, 895x944px
>>55299604
He should smother him with a pillow just to watch you rage, hit points don't matter if you can't breath.
Also why the fuck even let him in the room you had to have know this would happen?
>>
>>55299647
this desu. A sword to the throat is lethal no matter what. Hit points in that situation is kind of immersion breaking, like a skyrim arrow hanging off some NPCs head. You should've thought about some other way to deter him.
>>
Can a tiefling be a mutated human?
>>
>>55299641
His character is absolutely tiny. He has penalties to strength and constitution and basically anything physically exerting. Makes for a great sneakster and pickpocket though. He's using a homebrew race and made him as small as possible, fully accepting all the penalties I told him he'd have. It's come in handy for him though.

>>55299647
Nah if the BBEG woke up he would have killed him without much effort. If I thought he could take him 1 on 1 I would have let get a sneak attack for bonus damage and possibly a maim wound but when a party member tries to commit suicide I usually tell them they're not going to like the outcome.

>>55299666
Like I said Satan, if the dude was human I probably would have allowed it, but he just looks human. He doesn't actually have a jugular to cut.
>>
/5eg/ I just got a ring of three wishes on my fighter/cleric sharpshooter archer, what do I wish for? I'm thinking about making a simulacrum of myself to start off, figured he'd be somewhat safe attacking at range to make up for the half hp, maybe save a wish or two for the full heals
>>
>>55299695
What level are you currently?
>>
I'm going to be DM'ing a game soon and I offered to make a homebrew Vampire race for one player.

Anyone have any suggestions?

So far I've basically made a race that has +1 to STR, CON, DEX.

Sunlight Hypersensitivity: takes 1d4 radiant damage when exposed to sunlight, disadvantage on attack and skill rolls. This can be avoided by wearing a cowl/cloak.

Resistance to Necrotic damage. Takes additional 1d4 from Radiant and Fire damage sources.
Regens health per turn equal to CON modifier when in darkness (so the cowl won't help) and this effect is blocked for one turn when they take Radiant damage.

Unarmed Strike + Bite from the Vampire entry in the Monster Manual, but with lessened to-hit.

Charm spell at Lv.3, Shapechanger at Lv.5, Children of the Night at Lv.10 (reduced to 1d4 bats, 2d6 wolves).

Forbiddance, acid damage 1d6 each turn from running water, spider climb, can be paralyzed by a stake, must carry grave soil to rest or add one level of exhaustion, must feed on a humanoid each day or add one level of exhaustion.
>>
>>55299671
then in that case let him to a perception check to find out, and if he fails let him cut and then give him time to escape or some shit. if the BBG is undead he doesn't even need to sleep in the first place. if he's some other being that doesnt need a jugular, then now the party knows. the way you are going is on a rail, so let the players do what they think is right.
>>
>>55299708
just make sure to have the guts to tell the player about changing some of those things if it gets out of hand. That's what really matters.
>>
>>55299706
Only level 11. Basically we defeated the dragon from Storm King's Thunder thanks to the potions and found the ring in the hoard, which ended up going to me.

We're basically just doing some post campaign adventuring at the moment
>>
>>55299566
It's bait you dip, stop replying.
>>
File: Yzma-The-Emperors-New-Groove.jpg (81KB, 1000x568px) Image search: [Google]
Yzma-The-Emperors-New-Groove.jpg
81KB, 1000x568px
>>55299709
The Thief wouldn't know what he was even if he had the ability to tell, he's not undead though, just a monster with an illusion spell on him maintained by a magic item he didn't see through. Also, if he had disturbed the BBEG the end result probably would have been a TPK since they haven't rescued the prisoners yet. I know what I'm doing here and I assure you I've let them have far more leeway than I probably should have given they're here already since I forgot the golden rule of don't give subtle teasers or the party will latch onto them like a parasite while ignoring the blatant plot hook.
>>
>>55299680
>His character is absolutely tiny.
And this BBEG is still shit because you know what else probably could pass through those things? Druids in wild shape, or polymorphed things, or things other local rival evil peoples might use to try and kill him.
This is usually the part where you fudge things and there's a force field or a rune that triggers unless the person passing it is wearing a specific item. Or plan these things ahead so you don't have to fudge them.
>>
>>55299708
Not sure how balanced it is but Plane Shift Innistrad has Vampire as a playable race if you want to avoid the homebrewing headaches.
>>
>>55299747
This isn't a particularly high level campaign dude.
Also I was fine with him sneaking in and stuff, he failed his perception check to realize the dude wasn't really a dude but he did notice other plot pertinent things on him and in the room.
>>
>>55299743
In the book, there is a variant rule about insight checks on yourself to see if something is a seemingly amiss. There is also a rule about having to roll a wis save against fear if the CR gap is too high in the DMG.

You might have written yourself into the corner, if you won't accept those type of solutions though.
>>
>>55299777
I had him roll perception and he failed it by 3 so he just noticed the fancy key and fancy ring and the perfectly normal human sleeping there. I mean they'll find out next session, I can roll with what they've got as long as they don't try to take on a heavily guarded fortress and monster man with 2 mages by themselves in the dead of night while they're all tired.
>>
Anyone got a hold of Lost Artifacts of Greyghast?
It's apparently a massive tome of 5e items, magic items and artifacts. Anyone have any reviews/thoughts?
>>
Is there any reason for a Hexblade Bladelock to pick up Booming/GFB when they're already going to take Thirsting Blade when the time comes?
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 1800x2190px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 1800x2190px
Instead of a long winded post, I'm just gonna say I want to know more about these modules. Have any of you guys ever played them? Can you go into more detail about them?

Are they fun?
>>
hey guys, I'll be playing in the new Adventurers League season. The one with perma-death and shit. Any recommendations on what to play? Also anyone have any spoilers for the modules?
>>
>>55299828
Like most things TRPG, depends on the DM. I mean it's not the MOST fun I had, I kinda like building my own world with the DM, but if your DM and party is good, anything can be fun.
>>
Do people feel something like Out of the Abyss has too many unresolved plot threads?
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 1920x1425px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 1920x1425px
>>
>>55299833
kinda had bad experiences with the adventure's league. How're your experiences so far? I mean paladins will always be strong, but you could always play it safe with a wizard or fighter.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 1440x1257px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 1440x1257px
>>55299848
>>
>>55299857

The one at my local shop is pretty good, but that's because we have god-tier DMs who are super-chill and advocate non-aggessive mean to complete objectives
>>
>>55299894
Damn I'm jelly
>>
>>55299857
Our store's DMs focus on telling the story, rather than rolling dice. But yeah, permanent death makes me wonder if there's going to be bullshit Tomb of Horrors crap
>>
>>55299929
The whole ToA adventure is basically "what if we made tomb of horrors a proper modern adventure length" so yeah, expect tomb of horrors bullshit
>>
>>55300037
and dinosaurs
>>
Anyone here own elderwood products at all? Been thinking about dropping cash on the spellbook
>>
Rolling up random Backgrounds to have an actual 5 minute char creation, y/n?
>>
>>55299604
Is there really no coup de grace variant rule somewhere? With bounded accuracy you could just have it as a con save or something.
>>
>>55300091
none here, but I always found it hard to drop cash on third party stuff, especially when I haven't seen whats inside.
>>
So when will the new stuff be available as pdfs?
>>
>>55299827
dunno
>>
>>55299827
If you take warcaster booming blade makes for some spectacularly nasty opportunity attacks
>>
>>55300236
>>55300268
Also to clarify, Tiefling using point buy, so I don't really have much room to get feats.
>>
Anyone else overly critical as to the dice you buy? Like specific color, texture, etc?
>>
>>55300335
I've realized that I can only be satisfied with 100% plain matte unicolor dice, ideally a bright color with numbers painted in very strong contrast.
>>
>>55300102
Don't force anyone to do it unless they show up without a finished character sheet.
Some people absolutely must have control over every aspect of their character, and if you take that away they just won't have as much fun.
>>
>>55300386
100%, anything else isnt legible
>>
>>55300386
>>55300335
>>55300403
Yes. Legibility and utility first.

Fuck multicolored, speckled, and translucent dice with a rake.
>>
Moon druid PC has been cursed with lycanthropy in my CoS game.

I'm not sure how to play it, don't really want to take away her player agency, and no idea how it should mesh with her Wild Shapes.

Wisdom saves as she is turning? Asking her to make attack rolls on her friends even when combat is over?

I don't think Strahd has any direct "magical" influence on werewolves, right? Book doesn't seem to mention that, they just have a lot of respect and fear towards him.
>>
>>55300446
Here's how I did it when I ran CoS and faced the same issue.

The PC can transform into the werewolf hybrid form as an action, as per the MM, gaining a +1 to AC, and use of the bite & claw attacks using STR. However, when they do so, they have to make a CHA save against losing control. If they do it too much/often, they risk alignment shifting toward evil (which normally isn't a big deal, but in 5e is pretty massive). I also said I could force them to make a save whenever its a full moon, e.g. whenever I think it'll be most interesting. Play up the RP aspects of it, the feeling of being cursed, of having something inherently wrong inside yourself.
>>
>>55300535
correction, normally isn't a big deal in 5e, but in CoS is a big deal
>>
>>55300535
>which normally isn't a big deal, but in 5e is pretty massive
what do you mean by that?

also, she's a moon druid. I feel like turning into a werewolf isn't going to be that interesting to her when she could turn into a bear.
>>
>>55300547
Already posted a correct, but what I meant was alignment normally doesn't matter in 5e but in CoS it is a pretty big deal, a lot of magical effects in the adventure key off of alignment in some way

As per the moon druid, reminder her that a werewolf is immune to quite a lot of damage. Especially at lower levels it'll make the moon druids' ability to tank even better.
>>
>>55300547
>>55300566
YMMV, I had a paladin afflicted by it.
>>
>>55300566
Alright. I think I'm gonna keep the surprise element of the lycanthropy at first, but afterward i'll give her the possibility to control this power.
Thanks for your input.
>>
Errata:
>Sentinel (p. 169). Ignore “within 5 feet of you” in the second benefit.
How did people go an entire thread getting this wrong? The feat's whole new text was even pasted. It has no problems with reach weapons.
>>
>>55300446
When I played this module, I gave the player three days to find a cure, before being turned into a werwolf and becoming evil. I even set up a little quest where they could find it by cooperating with Muriel Vinshaw and the Keepers...
But then it turned out that I really underestimated just how much time three days really are. They got to level 6, got a remove curse spell and just cast it on her.
>>
>>55300037
Anybody dumped ToA yet?
>>
File: IMG_1604.jpg (480KB, 1257x804px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1604.jpg
480KB, 1257x804px
For the Dungeon Masters who like worldbuilding: do you use the D&D setting's deities as the gods for your settings, or do you have your players learn a new pantheon that you made up?
>>
>>55300889
>the D&D setting's
>>
>>55300889
My super generic fantasy lifted Greyhawk deities, modified them when necessary and removed/replaced a few. I made it back when DMing 3.5, so it was convenient because if somebody came with cleric of Pelor, there was no need to change shit and if somebody had worshipper of Vecna (who wasn't a deity in the setting), I could point him to the closest similar deity.

Though now I'm running a new game focused on exploring and killing things, and I'm testing the approach where the deities have no names, people just refer to them by their portfolios: god of light, god of darkness and so on; they're not quantified so one could refer to the god of death and darkness as one entity or not.
>>
>>55300925
Yes, "the D&D setting's" gods. I'm well aware there's dozens of published settings, but not only do the vast majority occupy the same canonical multiverse, but practically all of them share a pantheon.

Don't be obtuse.
>>
Can you choose the form that a wall created by a mystic takes, or is it always in a line? If it is only a line, what happens if the wall doesn't fit completely into the space your creating it, can you make it shorter?
>>
>>55300874
On the last two threads a guy posted some stuff like dinosaurs, an atropal, main lich stats, and some magic items
>>
>>55300947
Looking at the wording wood wall, it doesn't not say it needs to be a straight line, just 60 ft long, so I would take that as do whatever with shape
RAW it cannot be shorter than 60ft, as a DM though I would allow it because it'd be retarded not to
>>
is the guy with the tomb of annihilation book still here? are there any new beasts in there? i play a druid in my current game.
>>
>>55299604
If you wanted to go for true inhuman, you should've let little rogue slit his throat
Then, when the party walks away thinking he's dead, show that he's not
Hell, even if he was human, what type of BBEG doesn't have a guy to raise him from the dead from a single wound death
>>
>>55300986
There's some dinos, but they're already in volo's guide
>>
>>55300950
>stuff
Bah. Was hoping for a full scan to be doing the rounds. Amazon in the UK is saying it's delayed until the 27th.
>>
>>55301007
You can buy them individually on DnD beyond, bit of a rip, but you can at least see the list of what's there.
>>
>>55301013
>bit of a rip
>bit

let me guess, american?
>>
>>55301008
An anon said that Tuesday he was going to get the book for a scan, so 3 days
I'm really looking forward to it because it might have a monster with a new weapon

>>55301013
It's a alittle annoying, the overlap of NPCs
>>
Do ogres have homes? Do they raise ogrelets in them? How motherly is the common ogre? And do half-ogres require the mother to be an ogre to actually take the child to term?
>>
>>55300117
>>55299647
>>55299666
All this talk of narrative murder because the damage mechanics don't apply outside of combat, but we're ignoring the narrative twists that would come from a similar action in the sorts of fantasy or sci-fi novels that D&D is meant to emulate.

Obviously, stabbing someone in the throat is pretty much fatal.
Obviously, you can't just throat-stab everyone in combat and kill them regardless of power because you said, "I want to aim at his throat."
Obviously, it's stupid to 100-0 the grand superwizard with a Stealth check.
But also obviously, if this were Conan and he snuck up on some non-mook evil sorcerer (in fact, the main villain of the book) and tried to stab him in the throat, we'd find out that the sorcerer is made of fucking snakes that shift apart to let the blade pass, or snapped awake at the last moment, or it was a dummy body placed there specifically to fool assassins because this sorcerer of the old gods has the dark blessing of never having to sleep, or the sorcerer's true form is that of a giant anaconda and all the Rogue has done is un-Mildshape him, and so on and so forth.

>but wah you've punished the rogue for success
No moreso than when someone locks their door but enchants it with Alarm and Magic Mouth so the sleeping guy inside wakes up and the guards in the barracks are alerted.
>>
>>55301096
>Ogre home
Cave but yes
>Raise ogres
Depends on how tough the offspring are, I'd imagine that if it was a runt the father would just eat it
>How motherly is common ogre
Not really sure, it's humanoid enough that it probably has some sort of bound to the child so it wouldn't just step on it for being annoying
>Half ogre need mom ogre or no
No, the mother can be a medium humanoid, RIP vagina of course, but it will still be a half ogre
>>
is there a viable/interesting low-wisdom cleric "build" ?
>>
>>55301119
You're the answer to my ferverent prayers Anon, many blessings on you and your current party
>>
>>55301124
>Low Wis cleric
Awful idea, Wis saves are amazing, perception is also amazing
>Can it be done
Yeah, just use no spells that have no saves, maybe be a forge cleric too so you can be melee man
>>
>>55301096
The ogres of Thar differ from their Faerun relatives somewhat, lending credence to the theory that they are a more advanced group. They are slightly smaller than ordinary ogres (averaging about eight feet in height), and their heads are somewhat larger. Thar ogres skin color ranges from lavender to brick red, and they lack the distasteful odor usually associated with the species.

Ogre tribes range in size from two to a hundred, united under a chieftain and his tribal warlords. Tribes will sometimes band together in alliances numbering several hundred. These alliances rarely last for very long, but while they do, they can be quite dangerous.

As in orc tribes, chieftains attain their position through combat, but they rule only with the continuing approval of their people. A bad chieftain may be overthrown by force, with the entire tribe rising against him. Ousted chieftains are either killed or exiled. Thereafter, a few may manage to subsist as hermits, dwelling alone in huts, holes, or caves, emerging to prey on passing animals and luckless travelers.

Females have somewhat more influence among ogres than among the orcs, but they are still forbidden to rule. Some ogre legends speak of female chieftains, so the notion is not completely alien to them, but in fact it has not been seen in modern times.

Restrictions on rulership by female ogres are somewhat mitigated by the fact that only an ogress can serve as a shaman. Powerful in their own right, they cast useful spells, receive visions from the ogre gods, and create the scar-patterns that portray the heroic deeds of other ogres.

Tribes subsist by hunting, foraging, and raiding. An ogre can eat virtually anything (including, some claim, rocks and dirt, although I personally do not believe that). Cannibalism, though, is not unheard of.
>>
>>55301141
Use no spells that have saves*
>>
>>55301147
That sounds interesting but smart ogres would tear my party a new one, I'm sticking with the dumb kind. Good information to know though!
>>
>>55301025
>12
Nope. UK
>>
>>55301147
Ogre villages are an assemblage of stone or hide huts, sometimes surrounded by a crude palisade. Orcs raid ogre villages regularly, and all tribe members are expected to fight. Unlike orc females, ogre females face no restrictions against serving as warriors or hunters.

As discussed above, a few ogre tribes actually keep orcs as slaves. They do not think much of the green-skinned mad ones, as the orcs are called, but will sometimes trust them with menial tasks. Orcs will raid ogre settlements from time to time to free orc slaves.

While ogres are unquestionably a dangerous and murderous race, they are surprisingly indulgent parents, treating their offspring with considerable affection. Ogres dote upon their children, denying them little, ignoring temper tantrums and misbehavior, and engaging in corporal punishment only rarely.

Young ogres mature rapidly, and join their tribes as adults once they have engaged in battle or have slain a large animal such as a deer or antelope. Once accepted as an adult, the ogre participates in hunting expeditions, battles, and raids.

Adult ogres mark their achievements by the creation of ritualistic scar patterns on their faces, arms, and backs. These are created solely by ogresses, who select appropriate patterns based on prophetic dreams and visions, which they claim are sent by Vaprak, god of the ogres.

There's more about religion, tribes, and ogre philosophy but that seems a bit out of the original question.
>>
>>55301182
Now this is the useful shit, should help me flesh out an otherwise boring hack-and-slash encounter. Good show old bean!
>>
>>55301166
Where? England?
>>
File: 1497652314606.gif (1007KB, 202x258px) Image search: [Google]
1497652314606.gif
1007KB, 202x258px
>just finished an 8 hour session
>tracked down a Dracolich for hours after destroying his phylactery
>eventually lead us towards our party's old home town
>the town seems fine but no divination magic is working near it
>our bag of birds we use to track people has the birds wither and die before entering the town
>friends and family notice us in the outskirts and begin waving and greeting us
>something is off
>the rest of the party embraces them and begins moving in
>"we missed you guys so much, im so glad you're safe!"
>cast true sight
>its mirage arcana

safe to say we passionately murdered the fuck out of that faggot
>>
>>55301348
This is why my adventuring party set their own town on fire after they became important enough. Can't use leverage against us, baby.
>>
>game day today
>other player just messaged me that he can't make it today, so party of 5 is now fucking 2 people
guess they're on autopilot

>>55301348
that sounds fun, I like horror stuff like that, especially when the DM makes it defeatable and not just a nightmare where everything you do is just run/scream
>>
>>55301399
Yeah, not only was the entire town leveled, the only slightly standing structure was filled with people we knew turned into undead who were his minion waves.
>>
>>55301408
oh jesus, my brain didn't realize you meant the families were made into undeads
I guess it's time for your party to have a long cry, angry drinking spree, or quest to go find a cleric who'll raise everyone
>>
File: neverwinter+banner.jpg (304KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
neverwinter+banner.jpg
304KB, 1920x1080px
>>55301423
dont worry, we are level 13 and i am playing a Life Cleric

This Dracolich was essentially working for an ancient Drow army who granted him immortality. He worked under a rebirthed Zinzerena, leading them as their queen. 2 and half year long campaign played weekly here.

We turned Zinzerena into goop and massacred Kraggis (the Dracolich). Now we are going to their keep with her corpse and his head and claiming command to force them to retreat.

We essentially have a hit list gathered of their entire chain of command up till 10th in charge. Everyone below Zinzerena and Kraggis are just Drow nobodies.
>>
>>55301346
Yeah. Bristol.
>>
>>55301448
Why does that lich have a drawn, undead face but perfect titflesh?

Sexy lich, fine, but I want consistency.
>>
File: YVKEvQI.png (62KB, 988x704px) Image search: [Google]
YVKEvQI.png
62KB, 988x704px
Is Curse of Strahd too intense for newer players? I don't mean never played the game in their lives, but definitely green.

It'd be like 3 veterans including the DM and two pretty fresh players.
>>
>>55299499
1:
Become a renowned wizard, and upstage the wizards who discounted him at the academy
2:
Find his former mentor who walked out on him as a small child
3:
Find his birth parents

1:
Everything.
>>
>>55301471
Because it isn't a lich, it's a githyanki.

I lie.
>>
>>55301499
They're fine. Kill them if you need to. Google 'curse of strahd vignette' for nice ideas on how to rez them, too.
>>
>>55301471
>be lich
>want to be scary
>but also like tits
>get some magic balms to preserve tits, ass, and pussy so I have last ditch plan to deal with adventurers
>>
File: 1496260120142.jpg (67KB, 605x623px) Image search: [Google]
1496260120142.jpg
67KB, 605x623px
>running a homebrew campaign
>begin reading Tomb of Annihilation
>finish it and surprised how fun it seems
>now i want to scrap my homebrew shit and just run that

fuck why wont my players just die
>>
>>55301581
post a scan of it please god
>>
>>55301591
you wont like my answer on how i have it
>>
>>55301607
>you wont like my answer on how i have it
how do you have it then
>>
>>55301614
dnd beyond because there are no cool guy wotc sponsored stores near me
>>
>>55301621
I don't get it, why couldn't you scan it? or screen shot every page and upload it to mega
>>
>>55301631
I believe it's not a complete book on D&D Beyond that would be capable of being screenshot and put into a PDF.
>>
>>55301671
This. They pay 30 usd for a wiki
>>
>>55301471
To appeal to the young male gamer demographic.
Remember, wanabe game designers: "women won't buy our game" is self-fulfilling prophecy.
>>
>>55302019
Damn. Good point.
>>
Should a vampire thrall be able to cast spells he knew in life?
>>
One of players is incapable of playing A "GOOD" character no matter what class or race.
Give him an inch, and hell take that inch call it part of his new empire and declares himself God of all the land.

What do I do apart from run a evil campaign?
>>
>>55302112
Shouln't be a problem unless he's being a murderhobo. Does he refuse to cooperate with the party?
>>
>>55302112
Kick the edgelord out.
>>
>>55301789
Now, I know ToA is unavailable for purchase on Amazon but would WPN stores potentially have it in stock yet? It is still a few hours till they open around here so I can not give a call right now.
>>
>>55302019
>To appeal to the young male gamer demographic
Which is the way it should be. Lich titties are an acceptable sacrifice to see the company not trying to appeal to rainbow-haired harpies.
>>
>>55302058
I would say so. Maybe not immediately after turning but I'd say they'd gain some clarity and remember after a while.
>>
>>55302112
What's the problem here?

I mean I have a friend who's playing in 3 campaigns, 2 that I run, and he's always playing hyper-careful super-paranoid thief. It's honestly annoying but I'm not gonna force him otherwise if he doesn't want to. I'll just "punish" it by encorcing rigorous DCs and hitting him with unambiguous agressive forces.

No point in changing the campaign or anything, that's just what the player likes to play.
>>
>>55302167
Well, yes and no.
He means we'll, he says THIS character will be a GOOD guy for real but he defaults to killing and kidnapping so quickly.
>>
File: 317520.jpg (55KB, 225x350px) Image search: [Google]
317520.jpg
55KB, 225x350px
Can you guys recommend me some cool medieval fantasy media? Is Goblin Slayer any good?
>>
>>55302180
Oh, fuck off. What I said isn't even controversial among anyone who isn't an edgelord.
You're not hurt in the slightest by evil SJWs playing the same games as you. They go online and play games to have fun, not go on political tirades; but I assume this concept is foreign to you.
>>
>>55302201
sanderson books are difficult not to like
>>
>>55302191
Presumably the problem is that (like most characters with attitudes far outside that of the rest of the party) his edginess is getting in the way of others' fun.

>>55302201
I hear there are quite a few books in that genre
>>
File: 1e.png (860KB, 1066x672px) Image search: [Google]
1e.png
860KB, 1066x672px
>>55302180
>>
File: It will be a political campaign.jpg (288KB, 1104x1676px) Image search: [Google]
It will be a political campaign.jpg
288KB, 1104x1676px
>>55302220
>You're not hurt in the slightest by evil SJWs playing the same games as you
Absolutely correct. Things only go wrong when the devs/the writers/whatever start treating them like the main audience and catering to them.
Pic related.
>>
>>55302282
A single pro-women, pro-minority comic among a sea of forced T&A poses is not a threat to your consumption of media.
If you feel like it is, imagine being a minority woman and trying to find media to relate to, and realize you still have it pretty good as far as options go.
>>
>>55302282
Well that's cringy, whatever it is. Luckily it was probably never good to begin with.
>>
>>55302344
It's Ms. Marvel, and it's been one of the most critically well-received comics in recent years.
I wouldn't be quick to judge based on one out-of-context panel.
>>
Do DMs find the monsters in the MM and the Volo's to be a bit bland?
>>
File: PolBait.png (65KB, 593x263px) Image search: [Google]
PolBait.png
65KB, 593x263px
>>55302278
And yet this still triggers people
>>
>>55302386
I use Tome of Beasts more than those 2.
>>
How do you make a purely martial boss fight for the PCs? Had the boss with mooks in and my PCs cleared the mooks real nice during the fight but we had to cliffhanger at that point cause we ran out of time. Now next week, they're gonna continue the fight with the boss at hand. Thing is, he is purely melee. No magic or anything. Should I just play him like a Battlemaster? How can I make him memorable and not too pathetic? Cause this is the boss of our mid-level campaign and my PCs have been rather hyped to fight a great warrior so I don't wanna disappoint them. Some told me to give him Legendary Actions but I'm not too sure.
>>
I was considering nuking my character in the latest campaign and rolling a wizard, but after reading over the class a few times it looks like a lot of the wizards power relies on the DM.
Now I'm not saying that I dont trust my DM to let me run a fun wizard but would mystic be more self-sufficient?
I just know that my DM will leech the fun out of wizard.
>>
>>55302386
Do you mean fluffwise or mechanically?
Fluffwise they are great.
Mechanically, I often feel like monsters who should be the focus of a battle have very limited options. But it could be that I just don't choose the right monsters for the situation.

>>55302406
Every boss should have legendary actions. And multiattack. And possibly/probably legendary resistance.
>>
>>55302364
Comics are shit
>>
File: He has a good point, you know.jpg (337KB, 800x1214px) Image search: [Google]
He has a good point, you know.jpg
337KB, 800x1214px
>>55302342
>Single
You clearly don't read the comics. Hulk was replaced by an asian, Iron Man replaced by a genius black girl, Thor is replaced by a woman, Spider-Man is now Miles Morales, Captain America is a black man - and the other Captain America, a white guy, is a fucking nazi, but that story arc was recently finished. There are other minority replacements, but this is /tg/, not /co/, so I won't rant too long.
Amongst other offenders there's Kamala Khan, on my previous pic, a rare minority character that was well-written and likable - "was" being the operative word, Carol Denvers and America Chavez, the latinx queer genderfuck.

DC has it mostly good, since they appear to understand that "diversity" hurts sales, but they are writing a "White Knight" comic about the Joker, where Batman is an evil man beating up the poor and opressed for no reason, and the Joker champions Black Lives Matter. I hope it will turn out to be interesthing, but I'm not holding my breath.

As for imagining being a minority woman, I don't give a fuck about your minorities. I'm a russian turk, we have neither black people, nor mexicans here.
>>
>>55302407
This is bait, right? Because people always say martials have to play "mother-may-I" with the DM to use their skills for utility?
>>
>>55302442

Just don't respond to the shills. They're either pushing an agenda or are laughably out of touch with reality. In either case, they can't be reasoned with.
>>
How often do you guys level up in your sessions? Like, how many sessions per level on average? I suppose it also becomes much longer as you get higher up too.
>>
>>55302442
So, what you're saying is, badly written diversity is bad, diversity is not inherently bad.
>>
>>55302406
legendary actions. abilities that activate when he hits a PC, maybe 1 legendary resistance.
Let him sunder the PC's weapons if he aims for them, let him disarm the spell foci from casters then break the wizard's wand.
A pure martial boss should use every mundane trick in the book to destroy the disablers of the group (casters) so that he can focus on the melee PC's.

Sunder:
If he hits a PC he can choose to deal his damage to an object the PC is carrying, the ave HP for a wooden item is 10, ave HP for a metal item is 18-20HP.
This should cause the PC's to have an "O, shit" moment where they're no longer invincible and they've lost their weapon for a moment.

Disarm:
In addition to the normal effects of a hit, he can force the PC to make a STR save or drop an item that he is holding. Then use the bbeg's free action to pick the weapon up and start hitting the PC with it.

Just use beefed up versions of the battle master's maneuvers with unlimited use. Just remember that battle master can't use more than 1 maneuver per attack (bbeg doesn't have to obey this law though)

Don't trust everything I say, I'm fairly new to dnd myself
>>
>Find a group of randoms on roll20
>Curse of strahd
>DM doesn't adjust maps to line up with roll20 grid

Absolutely disgusting
>>
>>55302463
Level - Sessions to level up to the next level
1 - 1
2 - 2
3 - 4
4 - 5
5 - 7
>>
>>55302442
>He has a good point, you know
He's very eloquent in how he twists things. That's the whole point of the scene. He takes people's extreme views and makes them sound reasonable and righteous. That doesn't mean they actually are.
It seems we've turned into /co/ and are teetering on the edge of /pol/. Just another normal day, then.

>>55302455
>anyone who disagrees with me is a shill or detached from reality
Actually thinking this must be painful.
>>
>>55302406

Adding to >>55302421

If he's a boss, he should be able to interact with the lair. Is he the crime boss of a thieves guild? Have the room booby trapped and Or give him increased stealth due to poor lighting.

Is he a rough and tumble Battlemaster? Have the room filled with cannons and flame throwers to catch anyone out of place.

Balance it by giving the lair a 20 Initiative, so it has a proper turn in combat.
>>
>>55302463
After level 5 about 3 session per level.

If the players didn't use any of their new stuff from leveling up in combat or checks I postpone the level up until they do.
>>
>>55302446
>Play illusion wizard
>You main ability is at the mercy of the DM
>He has every goblin and direwolf discover the illusions by walking through them

>Play conjuration wizard
>I want to conjure a sword
>"nuh-uh, your wiz can't forge swords so he wouldn't know how to conjure one"

>Play necromancer
>all of a sudden every monster is non-humanoid so no animate dead for you

>Play abjuration wizard
>DM "....fucker"

In short he's one of those DM's and I just need a class that leaves all its agency with the player and none with the DM.
>>
>>55302493
My 2 cents: you should perhaps not destroy players' weapons. They're fairly attached to them.
That, and the disarming, disproportionately targets the party's martial characters. It's important for a purely martial boss to also have tricks against spellcasters. Legendary resistance is important. High saves are a must.

>>55302500
Is the pattern +1, +2, +1, +2? Why do you see it as optimal?
>>
How many sessions to run Lost Mines of Phandelver?
>>
>>55302552
Level 3 is the archetype feature for a lot of classes, as well as spell level 2. Level 5 is a big power jump with things like extra attack and fireball. I want to give some time to get used to the new power tier before adding more stuff.

Those are the levels most people are looking forward to, but after that gaining levels is less important for fun, and too high-flying stuff can even impede fun by making things too ridiculous too quickly.
>>
>>55302463

From 1-8 it was once every other session

8-12 was 4 session intervals

12-13 was 8 sessions

13-14 will also be 8 sessions.

Pretty sure the DM will keep it in a 2 month interval to get another year out of his campaign.

We only play once a week for 2 hours a session.

We did this because people wanted to DM their own stories set in the main world. The Main DM just plays a PC in the mean time to give him breaks.
>>
>>55302552
The disarm can be useful on spellcasters also, because if they don't have a focus they can't cast anything that needs a material component.

I also suggest giving him some things from here
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/dm7cymghws1qune/AAAe2cY_rS13nUDzoyovLvmba/Martial%20Options%20v1.3.pdf?dl=0
such as thunderstones to disrupt spellcasters.
>>
>>55299515
Mostly because of minmaxing I guess, while druids have a few neat things to their class, they suck ass in the first 3 to 5 levels. Rogues idk about, never played one. I actually love playing rangers though, revised ones that is. Invite me to your group!
>>
>>55302550
>Illusion
A lot of issues with illusions come from players who try to accomplish more than is reasonable with them. Still, I'll grant you that they are the one type of magic that's somewhat at the DM's mercy.

>Conjuration
1. Why the fuck would you want to conjure a sword?
2. Any DM that would make a conjurer's life hard in this manner is not a DM worth playing with, no matter what class you play.

>Necromancy
Summons and other minions slow down combat. That's why there are fewer of them than in past editions. If your character concept revolves around lots of minions you should play another game.

>he's one of those DM's
Sounds like the problem isn't the wizard class, but your DM.
>>
How useful is a 2 level dip in Bladesinger for an Arcane Trickster?

Is it basically the best thing you can do in terms of multiclass?
>>
File: DJOZSV_WsAAHi_u.jpg large.jpg (240KB, 2048x1153px) Image search: [Google]
DJOZSV_WsAAHi_u.jpg large.jpg
240KB, 2048x1153px
>>
>>55302637
I dunno cause I'm not a fuckin munchkin so I think about the character first and build second
>>
>>55302618
he may be a dislikable DM but he is my DM. I've gotten used to him, its almost like a friendly game of 1-up-man-ship everytime I attempt something, like he's pushing me to be more creative.
But back to the origional question, which would be more self-sufficient. Mystic or Abjuration Wiz. And if mystic, then which subclass? I'm not at all familiar with mystic and reading about it just furthers my confusion.
>>
What do you guys think of halfing xp for a slower leveling game? I know it mainly depends on if my players want it, im just curious what others think
>>
>>55302662
I considered it, then dismissed it as unnecessary.
>>
>>55302649
I mean, I'm looking for something that mechanically makes sense to branch out into as a logical progression of the character rather than something that doesn't quite fit into who the character is, so...
>>
>>55302421
Yeah, mostly mechanically. Fluffwise they're pretty great. While the statblocks do look extremely aesthetically pleasing there's not a lot of varied options to them.
And the fact abilities can persist for 1 minute if you failed something seems a bit much.
>>
>>55302646
As a DM, sign me the fuck up.

>>55302683
Is it a logical progression for your rogue to study more magic and swordplay rather than the tricks of the rogue? (Genuine question, and should inform your decision)
>>
What's the best melee warlock? Swashbuckler 3, hexblade x? That ties initiative, attack, and damage all to charisma mod, freeing up ability scores for feats or only cha/ con.
Or pact of blade 5, swashbuckler x? Gives cha initiative, some spellcasting, two attacks, more sneak attack dmg, but relies on cha/ con/ dex.
>>
How do I explain to my friends that 5e is actually a mindset change from the high powered fantasy we played before in 4e to a more grounded, more realistic more story driven system? That the system itself is less overall higher powered heroic fantasy?
Or is that actually a flawed argument?
>>
>>55302652

Battlemaster Fighter crossbow specialist. Variant Human for extra feat, take Crossbow Expert and Sharpshooter. Take crowd control maneuvers for utility.

Since as a Fighter you are proficient with all weapons, pick yourself up a Heavy Crossbow 1d10 damage.

Focus on one or two useful Skills and use RP to influence what magic couldn't.

Maneuvers rely solely on the roll of a Superiority dice or a Save throw. No "Mother-May-I?" wording.

Your Attack Bonus will be much higher, by level 10 you can use the Sharpshooter feat without effecting average hit rating.

Know Your Enemy is a very fun class feature that compels the DM to give you information on any NPC if you spend 1 minute communicating with it outside of combat. That would fuck with him a little bit methinks.
>>
File: Bs79j4D[1].jpg (288KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
Bs79j4D[1].jpg
288KB, 600x800px
Can anyone remind me how useful crossbows are for a dedicated ranged attacker? The reload action is probably quite crippling, but what about a repeating crossbow, like the Zhuge crossbow or the Dark Souls Avelyn? With such a weapon my character could fire let's say 3 bolts before having to take the reload action, and at that point the enemy would likely be dead or sufficiently weakened to go into melee and reload after the battle. As a dwarven ranger, it would be feasible for my character to possess the ingenuity to maintain this weapon, and since dwarves are too stocky to effectively use longbows (fluff-wise, the game mechanics say otherwise) it is likely that they would have developed crossbows to their benefit. I realize that such a weapon would be very powerful, but would (You) allow a player to start with such a weapon if the campaign started at level 3 or 5?
>>
>>55302843
Oh and could somebody please post the crossbow-specific feats a player could pick? I am currently on mobile and in no position to download the PHB. Thank you in advance.
>>
>>55302817

I think it's grounded on purpose so anyone can play any way they want.
>>
>>55302019
Remember, sexy women in games is to appeal to the male demographic. Sexy men in games is also to appeal to the male demographic.
>>55302180
>rainbow-haired harpies.
Parrot-based harpies are a cool monster design opportunity to me.
>>55302342
>trying to find media to relate to
Worse, imagine having little leisure time and no disposable income while people act like the color of comic book characters is a damn civil rights issue.
>>55302843
There is no reload action on crossbows. If you don't make extra attacks, they're fine. If you do, crossbow expert is a good feat for hand crossbows anyway.
>>
>>55302817
They want to barge in to try to win every fight, citing unwinnable encounters to be flaws in adventure design.
>>
>>55302646
I'm former forever GM turned player, so I'm filled with a strange mix of arousal and horror.
>>
What happened to the Mega? I've been away for a whilw, is it just gone?
>>
>>55302843
The only one that matters is Crossbow Expert. Removes disadvantage on ranged attacks against adjacent enemies, ignores loading property, lets you fire your hand crossbow as a bonus action after attacking with another weapon.

Without CBE you can only fire a crossbow once per round, with it you can be a Fighter and make 3 attacks as normal and it's just assumed you are so good at using it that you can load and fire on the fly.

Also fun for a Rogue to have a shortsword and Hand crossbow, you can get two attempts to sneak attack each round and you are effective both in melee and at range.
>>
speaking of crossbows, if you're running books or AL they seem like a terrible thing to go focus because it seems like there is almost ZERO magic crossbows

I know one of the yawning portal adventures has a +1 hand crossbow, and in all the seasons thats the only magic crossbow I have ever seen.
>>
Are madness saves strictly only Wis?
>>
>>55302988
Well, nothing stops a DM from throwing the party a magical crossbow, even just taking any magical bow from somewhere and renaming it to a crossbow
>>
File: sharpshooter.png (237KB, 287x337px) Image search: [Google]
sharpshooter.png
237KB, 287x337px
>>55302843
Lightcrossbows are better than bows because it's a simple weapon, so any shitter can use them, and rogues can use it for sneak attacking for a d8 damage die at range
Heavy crossbows are a slight damage increase over bows (+1 DPR, +2 max) but because they need a feat are shitty
It's overall better to just get the feat and then spam handcrossbow, because with Sharp Shooter you'll be able to get the +10 to damage thing off another time which is better than +1 DPR
If you want a crossbow that you don't have to worry about reloading as much, use the repeating crossbow from out the abyss
Fires 5 times, then needs to be reloaded
>>
>>55302965
from what i've gathered, the guy added roll20 tokens and roll20 fucked him over

wish there was a better alternative to this shit website
>>
>>55303093
Fuck... are there any other onlune D&D 5e databases?
>>
>>55302843

Crossbow Expert says: Ignore Loading property on Crossbows you are proficient with.

The Loading Rule:

Because of the time required to load this weapon, you can fire only one piece of ammunition from it when you use an action, Bonus Action, or reaction to fire it, regardless of the number of attacks you can normally make.

So that would allow anyone (say a fighter who gets 3 attacks per action) To fire 3 shots with a crossbow instead of 1.

That alone is worth picking up, but some people argue that technically a crossbow uses two hands, so it is privy to getting the extra attack on a Bonus Action, but I don't agree to that.
>>55302843

Crossbows are great, a Heavy Crossbow is a 1d10, higher than a Longbow (1d8).

Crossbow Expert + Sharpshooter feats are the best for an archer for their obvious benefits.

I wouldn't give you access to a Heavy Crossbow until level 10 or so.
>>
>>55303143
https://astranauta.github.io/
>>
>>55302421
>>55302493

These are helpful, thanks.

>>55302514

Actually this takes place in a gladiator-like arena where it's a group vs group style tourney. Sadly, there's not much in the area for the boss to act with as his lair. Though he's a rather famous warrior in that region so perhaps he might know more of the arena that I can bring in some mechanics?
>>
>>55303268
I really only used the Mega for adventure modules which this doesn't seem to have, thanks though!
>>
>>55301471
Her face isn't that bad tbf, she still clearly has all her skin, teeth and eyebows.
>>
>>55303304
well you have the alternate trove in the OP ..?
>>
File: 400px-Hopeless.png (192KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
400px-Hopeless.png
192KB, 400x400px
So my paladin reforged a sword that seems to be cursed, as all my spells and abilites that dealt radiant damage now does necrotic now.

What can i expect? How much did i fuck up?
>>
>>55303378A combination of just waking up and my retardation has led to this... Thanks, anon
>>
Are there any scrolls in ToA? I know Chult supposedly is afraid of Arcane magic, but scrolls feel like the one thing no one remembers.
>>
>>55303380
hope you enjoy being worthless against high tier undead
>>
>>55299499
Anyone here uses Mattew Mercer's Gunslinger?
I made a feat for it as some of my players want to dual wield guns or fight up close with one and I have been trying to figure out how I should retool Crossbow Expert. How does this sound?

>Firearm Expert
Reduce the Misfire value of all firearms you are proficient in by 1.
Being within 5 feet of a hostile creature doesn't impose disadvantage on your ranged attack rolls.
When you use the Attack action and attack with a one-handed weapon, you can use a bonus action to attack with a loaded firearm you are holding.
>>
>>55299499
When are we going to get a Tomb of Annihlation pdf scan?
>>
>>55303485
Week or two, probably.
>>
File: 400px-Goliath.jpg (17KB, 320x480px) Image search: [Google]
400px-Goliath.jpg
17KB, 320x480px
>>55299499
Three goals
1)Gain enough fame and fortune so his wife's family can't look at his as a detriment
2)Find a way to leverage this or do some task to wipe away the stain left by an ancestor on his families honor
3)Survive adventuring no matter what so he can return home to his wife and kids
Three fears
1)Doing something that will end up dishonoring his family further
2)Not being strong enough to seize the opportunity to achieve his goals if presented
3)Never being able to see his family again
>>
>>55303370
Low standards are one thing Anon, but this... this is a whole new level
>>
>>55303509
Damn, some time to wait. Thanks.
>>
Hey /tg/ my players offed a guy last week and found a suit of painfully obvious cursed armor in his treasure vault. I gave them a list of what they found at the end of the session and said we'd pick it up next week (which is now tonight), one of my players keeps arguing in the discord about how he gets the sweet armor and no one else can take it so I think he hasn't quite caught on.

The armor in question is solid black iron, is literally on fire at all times, and it spoke to him when he was examining it and promised to make him invincible. I really don't know how I could make it any more obviously cursed but I'm afraid this idiot is actually going to put it on.

They've actually seen it once before when some silent knight wearing it showed up and completely rolled the party, being effectively invulnerable. They don't know the side effect is that it uses the person inside as fuel and burns them to nothing including the soul within 24 hours of activation.

What do?
>>
>>55302878
I had a guy like this in our last campaign, he thought the bandit leader was overpowered because there were only two of us left at that ppint and he could make two melee attacks per turn. He kept saying to the DM that if he didn't remove his second attack that he was leaving. How is that justifiable, even to the shittiest player there ever was?
>>
File: 1500013636408.jpg (13KB, 207x408px) Image search: [Google]
1500013636408.jpg
13KB, 207x408px
>mfw first inspiration point from DM
>>
>>55303211
>I wouldn't give you access to a Heavy Crossbow until level 10 or so.
That seems completely pointless. It's a difference of 1 damage per attack from a light crossbow. Meanwhile, a battlemaster with sharpshooter regularly does 10 extra damage. That 1 isn't going to make that big of a difference.
>>
>>55303563
Give him an extremely unlikely getout quest after he inevitably puts it on, like a max-level hermit wizard sonewhere in a hydra-iinfested bog. Might make him think twice about being retarded next time.
>>
>>55303563
You didn't show them that the knight was burnt to shit under the armor, if you did, he'd probably understand
Maybe make it so when the player wears it it does damage and he needs to do some magic shit to get it off
>>
>>55303617
I guess I thought demonic talking armor that begs you to put it on is a pretty big red flag.
>>
>>55303531
I really like how polite most people on this board are
>>
File: Island_Climatic_Types.png (332KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Island_Climatic_Types.png
332KB, 640x480px
Ideas for islands for a pirate setting?
>>
>>55303638
players can be retarded as shit
the player should pay for his stupidity, but don't kill him necessarily
>>
>>55301460
Not that guy, but I'm from Bristol as well, where do you play?
>>
>>55303641
One that's a living organism like the original Icelandic Kraken and submerges every so often?
>>
>>55303211
But Hand Crossbows are the strongest crossbow since they can attack with a bonus action with Xbow shooter.
>>
>>55303641
Garbage island like those ones caught in swirls in the pacific? Could have one of those eating monster things that somehow made it's way there and now lives like a king? Or maybe have a trog living there as an homage to the book Stig of the dump?
>>
File: 1502133182331.jpg (39KB, 600x456px) Image search: [Google]
1502133182331.jpg
39KB, 600x456px
>>55302646
>That disclaimer
>>
Hello friends and happy Saturday.

If a two handed weapon says 2d10+7 does and the person rolls 2 5's does that mean their damage is 17, or 24?

Do you add +7 to each die?
>>
>>55303727
>do you add +7 to each die
No, you add the +7 only once per attack, not per die
>>
>>55303727

How are they getting +7 to their damage?
Keep in mind proficiency only applies to ATTACK rolls not damage rolls.
>>
>>55303737
>>55303753
thanks,

It's +4 from str and +3 bc it's a +3 weapon
>>
>>55303727
(2d10)+7, so the first number's correct. Remember BIDMAS from school? Read 2d10 as 2Xd10, so that sum comes first. Happy saturday!
>>
>>55303763
What level are they that they're getting a +3 weapon but lack a +5 modifier to their attack stat?
>>
>>55303704
I am pretty sure Crawford said you can't reload them without the other hand free.
>>
>>55303775
level 7, it's just a one shot where 4 level 7s are fighting a megaladon and some hunter sharks
>>
>>55303822
Love me some hunter sharks
>>
>>55303819
Assuming you're right, you can still do it with a hand xbow in one hand and nothing in the other.
>>
>>55299499
Three Goals
1. Create a community devoted to me over anything else and become beloved
2. Acquire great wealth and comfort through the community's hard work
3. Gain political influence through the community, and seek to fulfill personal gripes about society
Three fears
1. Never achieving anything at all
2. Losing the devotion of my followers, and all I've accomplished
3. Being ostracized from society at large, and being forced to isolate the community
>>
>tfw DM canceled the game today because there would b only three players
Since when is 3 pc not enough?
>>
>>55303893
MAGA
A
G
A
>>
File: 1481969126493.png (7MB, 1987x3056px) Image search: [Google]
1481969126493.png
7MB, 1987x3056px
Does your group have its own comic-book published by a major company. /5eg/?
>>
>>55303916
That depends on how many players there are in the first place. I run a game with 6 players if I'm missing half of them why would we play?
>>
>>55303916
3 is all I have, your DM's a lucky bloke
>>
>>55303940
It was going to be a one-shot. In our normal game there are 7 players, but usually only 4 or 5 play at a given time, yeah, some PCs disappear/change in the middle of an adventure.
>>
>>55303938
Nah, we don't even have anyone to draw our characters.
>>
>>55303641
a waterworld style floating city or flotilla made by goblins?
>>
>>55303938
>Trying to cut someone with an icepick grip
Shit art
>>
>>55303916
As someone with shitty schedule, i really appreciate if DM does this, because i dont want to miss the game.
>>
>>55303819
Just have a HxBow in one hand and have the other hand empty.

Go full revolver, cowboy.
>>
>>55304047
But that's how you dual wield, have you never watched anime?
>>
>>55303662
At a friend's house. You?
>>
>>55304095
maybe with a double edged blade
>>
>>55299708
>This can be avoided by wearing a cowl/cloak
Why even have sensitivity, then, if it's so easily discarded? Yeah, I get not wanting the player to die in the first 20 minutes of play but at least make disadvantage immutable.

An unarmed d8 is too generous and regen is flat out too fucking powerful, as most D&D fights happen in dark places. I'd recommend copying the lizardfolk's hungry jaws ability to replace both.

Replace charm spell with crown of madness, 1/day. Shapechanger isn't ridiculous if it's once a day, but I'd replace it with with 1/day mist form. Replace Children of the Night with Conjure animals 1/day. Cast the spell Spider Climb 1/day.
>>
>>55304050
as someone with a very open schedule, FUCK YOU! I WANT TO ACTUALLY PLAY AT SOME POINT!
>>
>>55299708
Also, I'd give him a wis or con save to resist the exhaustion.
>>
>>55303946
Be happy, unless you're a god tier GM, any more then 4 slides into a clusterfuck, and some of my best actual roleplay was from groups of 3.
>>
>>55303715
I don't know if I want to run it or play it, but damn.
>>
>>55304147
*Gaseous form, not mist form.
>>
>>55304154
This, self-employment ftw!
>>
>>55304203
My current group has 6 players. After a couple of complete clusterfucks I've noticed that four of the players have seemingly decided to always play the part of greek chorus. They make subordinate characters to one of the two players that always push the plot along.

We're playing 5e right now but before this it was Star Wars and all four of them made droids that were owned by the Sith character.

I mean they all do a good job and their roleplay is entertaining, but they realized they can't all be the leader so they just have fun being the snarky background guys.
>>
>>55304203
I am the DM, definitely not godtier either so I guess I should count my blessings
>>
>>55303477
>that last line

Finally playing a highwayman or pirate will actually feel like it.
>>
>>55303753
most likely a +2 weapon on a 20 str/dex build.

But to answer >>55303727
the answer is 17, if the formula was 2(d10+7) and the player rolled two fives then it would be 24. Follow the rule of arithmetic priority
>>
>>55304236
Nice group of beta orbiters you've got there
>>
>>55304118
My soul is a double edged blade.
>>
>>55304203
Dunno, 5 players is still absolutely fine and if everybody's engaged, 6 is also alright. Maybe if you're playing heavily roleplay focused sessions then yeah, I can agree with your statement, but when it comes to a typical D&D session, anything between 4-6 is cool.
>>
>>55304258
its 2d10+7 not 2(
>>
>>55304236
Hey, if they're happy, it's a really creative way to get everyone involved. Much better than having a few players dominate and the others on their phones.

>>55304251
Only problem is a small group leads quickly to Forever DM.
>>
>>55304256
So you have used the Gunslinger before? Do you think the feat is any good?
>>
>>55304304
>Forever DM
What?
>>
>>55304234
Anon I... I'm not 100% sure he is employed.
>>
>>55304218
For me both
>>
>>55304312
Not at all! I just imagined a highwayman with sabre in hand and a gun pointed or a pirate captain striding across the deck, cutting down an enemy sailor and then shooting his blunderbuss off-screen somewhere. Sorry I have no mechanical advice to give you!
>>
>>55304318
It's the term for someone who is always the DM and never gets to play
>>
>>55304283
Hey if it fits the tone of the game, and both the GM and players on the ball, go for it. Sadly, I find the latter pretty rare.

>>55304318
Never getting to play, always behind the screen.
>>
>>55303527
The fact that I want a humanoid puts my standards higher than most of this sites users
>>
>>55304349
That's okay, thank you though.

>>55303477
I ask this as I have a player who wants to play a Blood Hunter and is basically trying to play a Hunter from Bloodborne. I'm also trying to figure out if I should give them Pistol proficiency or make them multiclass into a Fighter Gunslinger for it.
>>
>>55304514
Never mc Mercer's stuff, the gunslinger alone is ridiculous
>>
>>55299708
Basically everything >>55304147 said. If a disadvantage is so great it's debilitating, maybe the race shouldn't be an adventurer. If it's easily nullified, it's not really a disadvantage.
Furthermore, don't dick around with "additional 1d4." In 5e, just use vulnerability. It's not like monsters with radiant damage are that common. Fire is more plentiful, so either cut that vulnerability or make him deal with the consequences of undead flesh.
>>
If it too on the nose to make a dandy Tabaxi called Bundle of Sticks?
>>
>>55304577
Yes.
>>
>>55303477
That won't let them dual-wield. You still need a free hand to reload the weapon (same as hand crossbow with Crossbow Expert).

>>55304312
This homebrew, however, is crap. It's an almost direct translation of a Pathfinder class whose entire philosophy doesn't belong in 5e.
>>
>>55303641
One like the one from life of pi, an island rich on fruit and vegetation that use this fruits to lure its prey
>>
>>55302112
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ht7mxF9XZiA
Make the lawman come get him, problem solved.
>>
>>55304016
this made me think of the coconut creatures from mohana
>>
>>55302406
Make him a legendary duelist by merging battlemaster stuff with some swashbuckler stuff.
>>
>>55304577
Do it anyway
>>
>>55304532
>>55304603
How so? From my experience, this class has been a pretty fun time.

>>55304603
Also yes it will allow them to dual wield for the shots they can take. Reloading will just require them to drop/sheath one of their weapons to reload the other one.
>>
I hate how you can't really make a sword+gun duelist because you don't have a free hand to reload.
>>
File: aUejUls.jpg (146KB, 1191x773px) Image search: [Google]
aUejUls.jpg
146KB, 1191x773px
>>55304721
People put a lot of work into getting around that.
>>
File: IMG_0224.png (44KB, 512x480px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0224.png
44KB, 512x480px
Evil can be primarily selfish right? Could a Lawful Evil mercenary jive with a good party? Or is that too far into "That guy" territory?
>>
>>55304380
Ah, yeah that's me ;_;
>>55304502
Good point desu, you may be a necrophiliac but at least you're not a furry
>>
>>55304746
>Could a Lawful Evil mercenary jive with a good party?
Yes. No reason not to follow their moral code if they pay you well enough.
>>
What are the Yawning Portal hooks like? Are they motivated by treasure/riches or are there "let's help people in need" hooks too?
>>
>>55304712
>Fluctuating resource
>Needlessly complicated weapon mechanics
>Overly-specific niche
Just not very 5e tbdesu.

>>55304746
Lawful evil means selfish but structured. Nothing prevents such a character from fitting in with a mercenary group and being friends with all of them.
>>
File: 312312.png (579KB, 524x700px) Image search: [Google]
312312.png
579KB, 524x700px
>>55304774
>are there "let's help people in need" hooks too?
yes.
>>
Hey quick question, why is the dnd beyond character creator so awful?
>>
>>55304746
I actually don't mind most alignments. I think these kind of character guidelines make for good character interactions. Chaotic Neutral and Chaotic Evil are what I've outright banned.
That being said if the DM is trying to run a heroic campaign you're going to need to justify why the character is going along with it, but that can't be too hard. Sometimes it can be as simple as an evil character going "I actually like this ragtag bunch of misfits, I don't want them to die in this lich's lair so I'll help em."
>>
>>55304806
because anyone who actually NEEDS a character creator for 5e deserves everything they get.
>>
>>55304712
The sheer amount of damage it can pump out, like another another anon said it is literally a port from pf for a character on Critical Role since they switched to 5e for the stream, it's homebrew most homebrew is made with little to no regard of how the game is balanced and is made to the standard of previous editions, also if you're the player of course you'd have fun because you're shitting out damage, but DnD isn't a solo game ya feel me?

I'll say it again never multiclass homebrew you're just being that guy at that point.
>>
>>55304815
Even chaotic neutral can work in a "fight oppression but not put self in danger for individual lives" kind of way. The character can even put self in danger for individual lives because his friends are doing it and their lives do matter to them.
Or maybe CN can mean "I like change. Exploration shows me new things. Me and my friends get to experience a bunch of stuff. Helping some people along the way is gravy to me, but important to my friends, and anyway it pays my tavern bills."
>>
>>55304838
That anon is correct.
>>
>>55304806
i assume because WotC does not have the virtual expertise to pick great engineers to develop good applications.
happens to a lot of big companies: that's why transitioning to web techs is kind of a pain for them.

also, dnd5e is a skeleton crew, so they probably outsource. and if you're stingy to boot, you're in for a treat...

ALSO.
you can always bet on ppl actually paying for your overpriced shit.
>>
>>55304838
Bang on lad
>>
>>55304712
>Also yes it will allow them to dual wield for the shots they can take. Reloading will just require them to drop/sheath one of their weapons to reload the other one.
That's fine, as long as you enforce the action economy involved. Sounds like you're plannign on doing that, so you should be good on that count.

>>55304840
I think Matt Mercer does care about balance (somewhat), but since he made the Gunslinger just around the time they switched systems he made it with a PF mentality.
>>
>>55304845
Perhaps, but I've just seen too many players take Chaotic Neutral as the lulrandom or the absolute cop-out alignment.
I even had one shit player who picked chaotic neutral "so I wouldn't back his character into a corner with an alignment choice", even though we'd been gaming for months and I'd never done that on him or anyone else in the game.
>>
>>55304746
I don't think that selfishness alone is enough to be evil. I think that you need a degree of ruthlessness before you reach truly being evil.
>>
>>55304514
>I ask this as I have a player who wants to play a Blood Hunter and is basically trying to play a Hunter from Bloodborne. I'm also trying to figure out if I should give them Pistol proficiency or make them multiclass into a Fighter Gunslinger for it.
Blood Hunter is hot garbage.

Use this thing instead: http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/S1XQInrQb
>>
>>55304318
He slaughtered his players in hand to hand combat to become supreme DM for life.
>>
>>55304868
>i assume because WotC does not have the virtual expertise to pick great engineers to develop good applications.
Presumably Hasbro does. The D&D team might be tiny but there's no reason they can't draw on their parent company for software contacts.

>>55304896
Yes, of course. I did say "even" and "can work." It falls down to an experienced DM trusting a player to roleplay well. There's nothing wrong with disallowing it; I'm just saying it's not out of the question that a CN character could fit in with a "standard" group of adventurers.
>>
What kind of class would make a good addition to a 3 man party, where the first two are a moon druid and a glamour bard?
>>
>>55304918
Mind telling me why you think it's garbage? I have a player using it and want to know what I'm in for
>>
Random dumb thought I had
Would you allow interaction between the spell Fabricate and a petrified creature?
>>
>>55304746
You fit in the part by fitting in the party.
>>
>>55304886
>think Matt Mercer does care about balance
Have you read what the artifacts he made do? Also him not even taking into account the possibility of them stacking more than one onto Vax who can now move like fucking Sonic? He cares about balance now because he realized his mistake after he saw the shenanigans his PCs can now pull off. I'm not saying Mercer is a bad guy, but he definitely made these and put them out to the public without realizing how broken they can be in the hands of anyone half way competent. His players are barely competent with Travis being the smartest but stuck playing a tard and Liam knowing the game having played the longest.
>>
>>55304924
That would assume Hasbro cares enough to give them more money for DnD.
>>
>>55304924
Oh yeah, there's players at my table I could trust to play a decent chaotic neutral. One actually wants to try a chaotic neutral kenku rogue, and he tested it out in a one-shot and it was pretty solid.
>>
>>55304945
What's the third? Any kind of healing, or front line people? Come on man more details
>>
>>55299499
Anyone got a solid Warlord/Marshal adaptation for 5e? I want to play a support class who supports the group as a tactician.

Not really interested in the Battlemaster or Bard.
>>
>>55303563
Invent an additional property that allows the fool to delay his demise. Make it painfully inconvenient. Make it periodic and repeatable. It should be something that potentially escalates so the character cannot rely on it too long. Also it should be something the dude you have had worn it before would absolutely never do.
>>
>>55304945
Something that will deal damage. I'd say Wizard that focuses on blasting or a GWM/SS fighter
>>
>>55304992
Be a wizard
>>
>>55304945
Faelock to complete the trifecta
>>
>>55304986
The third one is the one that I would fill, thats why Im asking.
Druid will probably tank while in wildshape and do druid things otherwise.
Bard will be completely support and charm focused
>>
>>55304986
I realize now after >>55305009 and >>55305016 I shouldn't drink before posting. Roll up a barbearian for that tank potential
>>
>>55304802
I don't see those "issues" as issues maybe I'm jaded or something but I can deal with a little bit of complexity for a class.

>>55304840
To pump out that much damage they are having to take drastic risks on their weapons, actions, and wallet. I have been DMing this group not playing one also, the most I have worried about is the range of the guns damage output did not quite get that scary.

>>55303477
Also to relay this back to the main question, do you guys think this feat is too strong? One of my players is recommending I don't use the misfire value reduction.
>>
>>55304974
I said nothing about money. Just contact with some software contractor the company already uses.
It doesn't cost less money to send them blindly into the field.

>>55304975
I'd be more worried about "kenku" than anything else in that sentence. When you said "tested" do you mean mechanically or roleplaying-ly?
>>
>>55303563
The armour makes it so you only take 1 damage when you're hit...

The first time that is, the second time you're hit you take two damage, the third you take 3 damage and so on.

Your players should be able to pick up on this quickly, and will then try and find a way to remove the curse before it kills him (The armour isn't removable until curse is dispelled).
>>
>>55304950
Not that anon, but I played a Blood Hunter and abandoned it in disgust for a Ranger. An UNREVISED Ranger. It's ridiculously weak, especially as it progresses.

Blood Hunters have two trashy ribbons in place of actual features, and the only genuinely dead level in the entire game. They have the garbage that is Blood Maledicts in place of actual spells or even maneuvers. Crimson Rites are the most overcomplicated bullshit ever.

Blood Hunters are shitty Paladins with no no healing, much much worse spell slots, no aura, less burst damage, and nothing else that makes a Paladin worthwhile except a weak smite that hurts you.

Compare a mid-level BH to a mid-level Paladin. Both Paladin and Blood Hunter:
- add 1d8 damage to their attacks, except the BH needs a bonus action and a hp cost and does it per-weapon. And the Paladin can spike with slots/spells
- get an Extra Attack
- get a "sense monsters" feature
- get standard ASIs
- get Fighting Style.

The Blood Hunter gets Blood Maledicts and Grim Psychometry, plus an extra subclass feature.

The Paladin gets Paladin Spellcasting, Divine Health, Aura of Protection, Aura of Courage, Lay on Hands, and better proficiencies.

I could legitimately just refluff a lightly armoured Paladin and he'd be a better Blood Hunter than the Blood Hunter.

TRASH TRASH TRASH
>>
>>55305076
Generally RPingly. I ran it for two players because of absentees so he did have to fudge the kenku-speech for the sake of game progression but he's a good RPer who knows the line between "fun" and "annoying" so I'll trust him with that too.
>>
Honestly the Kensei is a better samurai than the Samurai.
>>
>>55305076
It still would be seen as money to Hasbro because that contractor could be spent doing work elsewhere, also contractors are normally payed per job unless they've worked out a longer term situation. It doesn't cost Hasbro any more than it already does because they give the DnD team x budget to use as they see fit.
>>
>>55305045
>maybe I'm jaded or something but I can deal with a little bit of complexity for a class.
Don't be pretentious. You're not the only person around who can handle the complexity. My point is that those mechanics don't belong alongside other 5e mechanics.
>I don't see those "issues" as issues
That's your prerogative.
...then again, you admit the mechanics are clumsy by making a feat that negates misfire. So it's not like you completely disagree with me.

>>55305133
Only if you think "samurai" means "agile blademaster." You don't think that, do you, Anon?
>>
>>55305160
>Only if you think "samurai" means "agile blademaster." You don't think that, do you, Anon?

[raughs in Yojimbo]
>>
>>55304986
>>55305030
Something with the ability to give out some heals would be really helpful, doesn't have to be the main focus. Another is roll up a wizard for extra buff and blasting potential.
>>
>>55305160
>>55305169
It's more that Fighting Spirit is a lame flavourless feature.
>>
>>55303819
>giving a shit about what Crawford says
>>
So, long story short, way back in Basic D&D, Sphinxes were a playable race/class. Now, obviously the PC version would need to be a LOT less powerful than the MM version, but do you think 5e could follow in Basic's footsteps by handling a Sphinx race?

Most importantly, would you go the Basic route and have it that sphinxes physically can't use artificial weapons or most armor, seeing as how Small and Sunlight Sensitivity are still things in 5e?
>>
>>55305045
>To pump out that much damage they are having to take drastic risks on their weapons, actions, and wallet.
What level is your party at? Also if you've watched the show those "drastic risks" hardly become an issue in gameplay.
>>
>>55305178
You already have two healers with a druid and bard.
>>
>>55305190
The samurai subclass is badly designed, that's true. It's also true that it shouldn't exist because there's no reason for it to be different from the knight. I suspect they put out the two nearly-identical subclasses to test which one gets more traction and didn't intend to actually release both. Or something
Along the same sort of philosophy, a blademaster subclass doesn't need to be culturally-specific, either. We're better off with a knight fighter archetype and a kensei monk archetype without either of them being named after a specific historical example.
>>
>>55305217
True, I always forget druids do have some healing capabilities my bad. Also, in my experience, relying on a bard for healing, especially with the way he said the guy was building, can easily lead to some hairy situations.
>>
>>55305212

Why would you even play a sphinx, anon? They can't use swords.
>>
>>55303563
Let the idiot die.
>>
>>55305272
Because people have some weird need to play monster races
>>
>>55305212
Large quadrupeds without manipulating appendages don't really fit into the modern adventuring party.
Is this a magical realm thing? I feel like this is a magical realm thing.
>>
>>55305243
But when I watch Japanese samurai films, they're running around without armor (whether or not real historical samurai did). If I take fighter, I'm going to have to wear armor. And I will have to either go STR and forget about longbows, or take a rapier (or, god forbid, dual wield). With a kensei I can use both longswords and longbows.

>>55305271
Paladin is always the right answer.
>>
>>55305212
I wouldn't add penalties to a race. It's against the 5e spirit.

The only races in PBH that get flat penalties are Drow, and you shouldn't even be playing drow.
>>
>>55305271
What about a mystic then? Would fit with the flexibility of the rest of the party, so the druid and me could switch being frontline and backline, while also providing some blasting and potential healing if we really needed it
>>
>>55305289

It's barely even a race, anon. There's plenty of monsters that can use swords, it's silly that someone would want to use one that explicitly can't.
>>
Did I imagine it, or was there a cleric variant in an UA or something that got unarmored defense?
>>
>>55305160
Apologies if I came off as pretentious anon I was not trying to be. I was just saying that I'm okay with some classes that may have a little more book keeping.

Also, I did not say anything about misfire being clumsy. I just could not think of a better general bonus to guns for a feat. I was following the way crossbow expert works instead of dropping the loading quality I dropped the misfire rate, do you have a better alternative?

>>55305216
The gunslinger died around level 7, so right around the time, she would have gotten violent shot. I know the player wanted to get the lucky feat to mediate some of the misfire values.
>>
>>55305307
Gnomes and Halflings are both Small, though, and that's as much of a penalty as Sunlight Sensitivity.
>>
>>55305339
It's in the DMG.

Cleric can give up all of their armor proficiencies and the DM can give them Unarmored Defense instead.
>>
>>55305360
thx
>>
>>55305307
it's not even really as big a penalty as people assume. Pick any random printed adventure and count how many of the combats take place outside during daylight hours with no shade.
>>
>>55305375
It will make your AC worse than any other cleric though because you normally have access to shields
>>
>>55305297
They're not in armour because most samurai films take place during the long peace of the Tokugawa era. Just having an "adventuring party" of ronin roll into a village with nothing but their swords could mean serious trouble, if they wore armour it would result in the local lord's household troops showing up - and they would be wearing armour, because they would be on an official mission for that lord that could easily result in serious combat.
>>
>>55305297
You're not wrong about that archetype. However, some people might want to play a "samurai" in the more historical sense (armed and armored, often mounted, serving a lord).
If a kensei works for your vision, there's no point in complaining that the subclass called "samurai" doesn't fulfill it. It's not meant to. Play a kensei and have fun.

>>55305341
Fair enough. It's all good.
Guns have the "reload" property instead of the "loading" property - you can let players bypass it by letting them reload as an item interaction (but in every case require a free hand to reload).
I'd personally remove misfire, but I also think it's in place to counteract guns' higher damage, so removing it might cause balance issues. As I said, I think the core design is problematic.
>>
>red dragon gets summoned on a level 8 party
>why DM
>>
>>55305347
Small isn't a penalty, it's a tradeoff:
On one hand you can't use heavy weapons
On the other hand you can use medium mounts, which don't have to squeeze through spaces like a large mount has to.
>>
>>55305471
To instill the fear of God in you boy
>>
>>55305398
That only works if you're using printed adventures, most people just make their own campaigns.
>>
>>55304577
Remember to try new things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lf-j4DLVus
>>
>>55305471
If it's a young red dragon, that shouldn't be a very challenging fight. If it's an adult red dragon, that's going to be deadly and you should run like hell. If it's an ancient red dragon, you should get on your knees and hope you can become its minions before it roasts you on the spot.
>>
>>55305316
I haven't had a chance to play, play with or DM for a mystic. However from what I've read around here it could be good, also like others have said Paladin wouldn't be a bad choice.
>>
>>55305556
in which case, the DM 100% decides how much of a penalty it actually is. But even in custom campaigns I have played in, combats outside in daylight with no shade account for less than 10% of all combats.
>>
>>55305442
>Guns have the "reload" property instead of the "loading" property - you can let players bypass it by letting them reload as an item interaction (but in every case require a free hand to reload).

I was thinking about something like this but doesn't this remove the need of their 15th level Lightning Reload feature?

>I'd personally remove misfire, but I also think it's in place to counteract guns' higher damage, so removing it might cause balance issues. As I said, I think the core design is problematic.

The feature in general? Or a 1 point reduction to firearms? With the way the feat is made now, Pistols can't jam, that is the problem my player had, it also removes the purpose of hand crossbows.

So far this is what I'm brainstorming with as far as the general feature goes...

>Reduce Misfire rate for firearms you are proficient in by 1.
>You can reload firearms as an item interaction.
>You can repair firearms as a bonus action.
>Tinker's tool checks to repair firearms is now (5 + Misfire Score).
>>
>>55305559
Apparently it slept for 5000 years, I'm guessing we're screwed.
>>
>>55305341
Ok that explains it, about there to level 10 is where the gunslinger starts getting better and better. Especially if they are smart and have done anything to get their hands on, or at least laid the ground work to, Bad News. Also they get the class features of a fighter as the go and as they get up there is when a subclass like the gunslinger becomes ridiculous.
>>
>>55304945
a barbarian with a shovel
>>
File: Coldhotshot.jpg (25KB, 360x960px) Image search: [Google]
Coldhotshot.jpg
25KB, 360x960px
>>55305634
The gunslinger in question was actually using dual pistols at the time and had no interest in two handed weapons. But true she did not get to the point where damage values would have started to skyrocket.
>>
>>55305597
Hopefully your DM isn't stupid and a)gives you a way to escape or b)is just introducing the next big bad who might toy with you a bit and get bored. I've done it once before, have a big bad show up smack the party a bit then decide they were boring and not worth his time then left. It lit a fire under their asses and boy did they ruin all his plans any chance they got, made for an interesting campaign.
>>
>>55305595
I didn't realize Mercer's firearms took longer to reload the DMB firearms.
I think it's a bad class feature designed entirely to mitigate an artificially-introduced weakness meant to make the weapon viable for only members of this subclass.
But if you use the rules as Mercer presents them, then yes, reducing reload time on the feat would be problematic. You can instead make the feat grant advantage on the initial Tinker's Tools check to quickly repair the firearm.

>The feature in general?
Yes. As you will notice, it exists only to compensate for an otherwise overpowered weapon set (you will notice a theme here).
I agree with your player. Pistols should not become strictly better than hand crossbows.

Whether you take my suggestion (advantage to quick repair) or go with one of yours, don't do the last one. It's equivalent to granting a +3, and 5e doesn't like flat bonuses if they can be avoided.
Actually, now that I'm looking at the misfire rules, the quick repair DC is so astonishingly low that either a +3 or advantage would basically make it pointless. Go with the bonus action repair.
>>
>>55305698
Yeah our group normally plays to higher level in campaigns so it's just the mindset I'm always in. Assume you will get to level 15-20 and balance with that in mind, still couldn't hurt to maybe make something like CBE work for a gunslinger if that's what you're really wanting and don't think you'll make it to where it'd be a wasted perk.
>>
>>55305768
>>55305732
Lots of good points. Alright, I like the bonus action repair one as well I'm gonna go with that unless there is a better alternative that someone has. Thank you so much for all of your help.
>>
File: 1504809789831.jpg (13KB, 272x153px) Image search: [Google]
1504809789831.jpg
13KB, 272x153px
>>55305894
Good luck to you m80
>>
>>55305723
We'll see, this is my first experience with the system, was just observing last session, so it could go either way. Hopefully not wiping the floor with my newly built character, would be a waste.
>>
>>55305732
Have to run the Halfling Gunslinger with Lucky/Portent. Never jam.
>>
Thoughts on light cleric? Thinking about doing one for CoS
>>
>>55306008
It's good.
>>
New thread:
>>55306100
>>55306100
>>55306100
>>55306100
>>
>>55304047
>He doesn't know anything about infighting techniques with a reverse grip.

Scholagladiatoria knows nothing about knife fighting.
>>
>>55304047
That dagger's pointy as shit, pal.
Thread posts: 381
Thread images: 39

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.