[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 416
Thread images: 46

File: Tomb of Annihilation.jpg (484KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Tomb of Annihilation.jpg
484KB, 1920x1080px
D&D 5th Ed. General Discussion

>Unearthed Arcana: Three-Pillar Experience
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-ThreePillarXP.pdf

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Alternate Trove:
https://dnd.rem.uz/5e%20D%26D%20Books/

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread:
>>55299499
>>
DMs how often do you just make up monster tactics and abilities on the spot?
>>
>>55306121
Abilities - never.
Tactics - always.

Players - how often do you just actually plan out tactics ahead of time?
>>
>>55306121
I just follow its established lore and approximate skill/adaptability based on its intellect.
>>
>>55306138
whenever the DM goes afk
>>
>>55306121
All the time, usually to take advantage of poor planning by the PCs.
>>
For what reason do sorcerers not get Absorb Elements?
>>
>>55306121
Abilities, usually no but when I need something badly I just do it on the spot.

Tactics, not quite on the spot but if say a session has me think something on my feet, I grab some monsters and see what them at a glance and just play it off. Orcs have relentless style of attack, elves flanking, etc.

Sometimes there's some subversion that keeps my players on their feet like that dumb ogre suddenly doing something tactical but I dont' it too often. Still intersting to see them go "shit!"
>>
>>55306264
Can't have sorcerers getting too many spells, people might play them otherwise ;^)
>>
Haven't DM'd yet but I want to make monsters fight like they're on home turf.
>>
What class is best for witch doctor?
>>
What do you do if your player wants to give up being a paladin but not become an oathbreaker?
He asked if he could just be a fighter, but I'm not sure how to handle it.
>>
>>55306374
cleric, druid, or maybe an archfey warlock
>>
>>55306374
Warlock/Sorcerer multi-class?
>>
>>55306386
That's pretty standard for paladins who lose their oath, they become a fighter.
>>
>>55306386
i'd only do the oathbreaker thing if he was explicitly being evil. if he's just tired of carrying on the paladin mantle, just replace his current paladin levels with fighter levels.
>>
On the subject of monster tactics, how would a group of giant spiders fight when they managed to get the drop on the party?
>>
How do you feel about players who see the entire game as crunch mostly? I have a table, good people but there are moments where they get too riled up on "What class is our enemy is?" or if they see an enemy do this and that ability, they think they can do it too cause everything is in the same rules and such. It's like they don't see the bbeg as the villain who thwrated them in the early parts of the campaign but just another statblock with a class and they just need to use knowledge of that class to take him down (that's how they see it.)

I've tempered their expectations saying "Bosses are bosses, they're meant to be challenging so no, you can't do Legendary Actions, and they don't abide to the character options of the PHB" but some can't feel all satisfied with my answer. So far, we've never brought it up but I can't help but feel that they are disappointed they can't get to that level where they they have some of the features/abilities of the Vampire or some shit like Regen HP per turn. (One of the Fighters said "Hmm if we can learn regen like our enemies, it'll be good for us who like to tank".)
>>
>>55306138
As much as possible, even going so far to have a fall back plan or idea ready.
>>
>>55306374
Warlock with fluff background granting medicine skill and alchemy.
>>
>>55306374
>>55306388
>>55306399

I've been meaning to ask /tg/, if you wanted a shaman/witch doctor homebrew, do you think it would work better as a druid archetype or a third-caster barbarian archetype? I've been working a bit on a barbarian shaman subclass because I thought a barbarian caster could be cool, but I could easily adjust it to be a druid circle
>>
>>55306450
Druid archetype
>>
Does anyone have Book of the Righteous for 5E? I can't seem to find it in the trove.
>>
>>55306450
barb sounds fun but you can't cast/conc with rage.
>>
>>55306450
voting for druid archetype
>>
>>55306412
>Shoot webs from 30ft away
>Bite with advantage the restrained enemies
>Repeat
>>
>>55306471
The idea was to allow you to cast/concentrate on druid spells you know while raging as the 6th level feature, so it wouldn't be very viable for a multiclass dip
>>
>>55306450
>>55306374
Depending on the kind of magical effects you want, a wizard archetype might work best. Maybe even a bard, for spell flexibility and the lore-keeper aspect.
>>
Should rogue/barb use both strength and dex or just go straight strength to try and rely on getting flanks and surprise rounds?
I know the easy solution would be going swashbuckler to get sneak attacks whenever but I feel like that's too easy, plus mastermind is closer to what I want to try.
>>
How does one have fun playing a lawful-good paladin?

I feel like my character would just end up being Mr No-Fun-Allowed.
>>
What would it take for a fiend warlock's patron to actually show up in the flesh?
>>
>>55306419
Playing the game for the mechanics isn't a problem, but asking "What class is our enemy" isn't right, enemies can be a class, or they could just have elements from different classes and such.

Also
>You can't do legendary actions
When could the players ever do legendary actions?
>>
>>55306512

A fuckup of astonishing proportions on someone's part.
>>
>>55306503
barbarogue usually goes full strength. you don't need to flank or get surprise rounds if you just reckless attack, that's like the whole point of barbarogue.
>>
>>55306514
For context, when I made a boss do a Legendary Action, they thought it was a feature of a class that allowed to act while it's not their turn. After my Fighter unleased everything on the boss who had his turn before him, I used a legendary action and it got the table going "Oh damn!" and after the fight, that's when they were like "Oh god, I can't wait when we can do that!" I had to tell them that's not the case cause that's a boss, they work differently. Some were cool with it but a couple of them were like "What's the point of getting stronger if we can't even do that? Feels backwards to me."
>>
>>55306499
I was going more for a shaman flavor, which is all about balance between benevolent and malevolent spirits, healing, and divination magic, especially performed as rituals. I'll probably also add some voodoo stuff as well.
>>
>>55306503
Barbarogue goes strength (because you need it for rage damage bonus). You often go rapier or another finesse weapon (because they still get to sneak attack). And then you reckless attack for advanced sneak-attack-crit-fishing.
>>
>>55306508
By making them have character outside their alignment, how is this a question? Just because someone believes in upholding laws and good in the land doesn't mean they are automatically a buzz kill. Then again since you're asking don't do it, you'll fuck it up.
>>
>>55306419
NPCs and PCs follow different rules. No NPCs (usually) have class levels at all, and even if they did, you're only required to tell them if they're a 7th level or higher Battlemaster with Know Your Enemy.

Literally just tell them monsters follow different rules than PCs, because that is completely true. PCs are balanced around having to work for a whole Adventuring Day, monsters and NPCs are balanced around a single encounter. Creatures with regeneration have it for a reason. That said, Champion Fighters get Survivor at level 18, which is as close as it gets.
>>
>>55306138
when it comes to combat almost never, considering i'm a barbarian and my main choice is who i'm gonna smash with my hammer
i plan with my party what we're gonna do next session over the week leading up to it
>>
>>55306564
Cleric or bard would be good options, then. Maybe convince your DM to let you play a variant cleric with monk's unarmored defense instead of armor proficiency (show him that example in the DMG as proof it's not broken).
>>
I have a NPC with Artificer!Wizard levels just so he can make items for the party.
>>
anyone get their hands on a PDF or easily shareable copy of Tomb of annihilation yet? i cant find any anywhere. my LGS gets it Tuesday and im supposed t start dming it Wednesday. my
>>
Half-Ogre player race when? What features would it have?
>>
Is a bridge troll to cliche?
>>
>>55306647
No
>>
>>55306647
it's cliche to the point of not being cliche, if you know what i mean
basically it's such a classic trope that no one ever does it, making it rare and interesting if done right
>>
>>55306647
It's just cliche enough to be fun.

>>55306624
Just refluff Goliath.
>>
>>55306647
not if you do it right. i've personally taken inspiration from the bridge troll quest from the witcher 2
>>
Guns in 5e are really, really simple.

Take all the crossbows.

Increase their damage by 1 level, i.e. 1d6->1d8, 1d10->1d12.

Give them the Loud property, which causes them to make a loud noise when fired that can be clearly heard within 1000 feet.

There, you're done.
>>
>>55306656
>>55306660
>>55306662
>>55306688
Is it a death sentence to put one outside of Nightstone in SKT, I want to work Nightstone and dripping caves into one encounter
>>
>>55306624
Just refluff the Goliath, and swap out their mountain adaptation for Darkvision.
>>
File: Shaman.jpg (286KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Shaman.jpg
286KB, 1920x1080px
>>55306597
>Maybe convince your DM
I'm the DM actually, and I'm doing this more to experiment with more ambitious homebrew than I have before (spells, items, rebalancing existing class features, etc.) rather than to play it myself.

Considering that druids already have ritual casting and healing spells, and that shamans typically are very strongly associated with nature and spirits, I'm leaning more towards that now.

Pic related is kind of the aesthetic I'm aiming for, although it would be significantly less animal-spirit focused if it was a different class
>>
>>55306555
They get stronger in different ways to players.
>>
How much information do you tell your players when a monster uses features/attacks? Like my monster have actions and such, do I give them a solid description enough for them to make with the information without revealing what ability they used or do I say "Lich uses <spell>" or "Troll uses Regeneration" or something like that? Same with resistances and like.

Cause I had a modified enemy bandit villain who has Fancy Footwork as one of his abilities, I ran it and just described how after he makes an attack, his nimbleness and footwork got him out of the player's reach without problem. (My players assumed it correct that it was like a Fancy Footwork effect when they saw they couldn't AoO) Been doing this for a while and it does give my players a layer of observation in their fights but I still want to know if I'm doing it right? I fear that this way I'm withholding information from the player if I don't tell them exactly what spell/feature/action they're doing and instead use those descriptions.
>>
I talked about this a little bit in the previous thread:

I'm homebrewing up a new setting for an upcoming game. The only playable races are: dwarves, elves, gnomes, half-elves, halflings, and humans. Most of these races have had their subraces axed and I've taken certain traits and ability score increases from the subraces and made it a default part of the race. As such, races like Gnomes, Halflings, and Dwarves, have been changed considerably.

One thing I did, since neither Half-Orcs or Goliaths are playable, was take Relentless Endurance and Stone's Endurance, mashed 'em together, and gave it to dwarves. Since dwarves are all about being stubborn and durable, it made far more sense for dwarves to have that ability than the other two races.

I don't intend to touch Half-Elves, since they're already quite strong. My real question is: how can I make elves and humans stronger to compete with the suped-up halflings, gnomes, and dwarves? Elves are the only race with subraces, also. High and Wood varieties. Dark Elves exist but they're evil and so not playable.

For humans I was thinking making Variant Human the standard and giving them an extra +1 ASI to put where they want on top of an extra skill. For elves I'm totally lost.
>>
>>55306807
It's the way I do, I never just say outright x or y ability, I describe what the characters see.
>>
>>55306820
Upfront apology for "Reddit spacing" since I'm sure someone is going to freak out about that even though I don't read or post on Reddit.
>>
>>55306843
It's not reddit spacing if you're using actual paragraphs
>>
>>55306555
Your players sound like they'd be more at home with a RPG videogame rather than D&D. Do they care at all about the social aspect or the fluff? Because it sounds like all they give a shit about are mechanics which feels a lot more soulless than any D&D game I've played.
>>
>>55306843
>>55306849

Case in point, >>55306711 is reddit spacing
>>
>>55306849

I honestly can't tell anymore, If I leave spaces after the post link (Like I am now, to show) I get accused of it, I just like leaving a space after it since it looks neater.
>>
>>55306896
>nice
>neat
>on 4chan
Only thing neet here are the weebs
>>
>>55306344
>:(
>>
>>55306896

I said that one time and preferred the formatting. I was told that I was a lazy "reader" and should stop encouraging lazy reading. I don't even fucking know what he meant with that.
>>
>>55306419
Sounds like they are suffering from chronic 3.faggotry
>>
File: 1496424446179.png (237KB, 616x480px) Image search: [Google]
1496424446179.png
237KB, 616x480px
>>55306896
>reddit apologizing
>>
>>55306512
>A fuckup of astonishing proportions on someone's part.

Warlock in my party is Neutral Good despite being a Fiend Warlock. Their character's origin is that they went on a drunken bender and awoke the next day to find that they had signed a deal with the devil and now had magical abilities.

I've kept the mystery of what kind of deal they signed and I'm trying to have his patron toy with him, but I'm having a hard time coming up with ideas for how he can mess with him (or if a Devil would even really care enough to do so.)
>>
What's a good class for a physically deformed character?
>>
>>55307038
Wizard
>>
>>55306138
>Players - how often do you just actually plan out tactics ahead of time?
Depends on how much scouting and foreknowledge we have of the area, but beyond that we make it up as we go.
In the words of a very wise singing dwarf Paladin, "our plans are rarely good ones but we think them up right quick, and you'd be surprised how much of an asset that is in the adventuring gig".
>>
>>55307046
Its not his fault he's a virgin
>>
>>55307038
barbarian wearing a metal mask
>>
File: b86.gif (2MB, 533x300px) Image search: [Google]
b86.gif
2MB, 533x300px
>>55307038
Some kind of class that uses a horse if they can't use their legs.
>>
>>55307004
Depends on the fiend and the type of deal, if it's "you'll preform x amount of tasks every year when I ask" then a fiend can easily use the link to pass then on, or more likely would send a messenger. If a fiend just wanted to mess with him an imp could easily do that and the fiend wouldn't even have to leave hell for it. Personally I would only see a fiend popping up if he thinks the warlock is not trying to get out of the deal or is in breach of the deal.
>>
Guessing nobody has dumped ToA yet then. :(

Hotly anticipating scans here :)
>>
>>55306419
Some players will always be like that.
Try to explain that the fact is that their viewpoint is not otherwise supported by the rules, and if they fail to get it and become problematic about it then cut them out of your game.
If they aren't problematic about it they'll deal with it like adults.
>>
Fixing to run a game for some newbs that asked me to help them out. I've toyed around with 5th, and done some encounters, but never had much time with the system.
What are some quirks of the system to look out for?
How hard is it to wipe/maim a party?
>>
>>55307101
>:(
>:)
kys xD
>>
>>55306508
My Lawful Good Paladin cracks more jokes then anyone in the party actually.
It's not "Lawful Humorless".
>>
File: tumblr_n3qlecGiWg1qz6z2wo1_500.gif (601KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n3qlecGiWg1qz6z2wo1_500.gif
601KB, 500x281px
>>55307138
>participating on the same type of faggotry

Kill yourself anon.
>>
Hey guys, where can I download the DM screen?
>>
>>55306555
You should note to them that they get SO much stronger that while they can't do that it won't actually matter anyway.
>>
When can we expect the next unearthed?
>>
>>55306711
Firearms are more consistently deadly, so I'd go 2d4, 2d6.
>>
>>55307181
Monday
>>
>>55306986
What is the context of the original source?
>>
Anyone have a scale/hex map of Faerun or the Sword Coast?

Trying to figure out travel times between a few places.
>>
>>55306820
What specifically did you do to make the halflings and gnomes stronger? The dwarf as you describe it is on-par with RAW variant human, at least assuming it's not +2str +2con +1wis.

Off the top of my head, one way you could boost elves is to give them all Misty Step as in the Feats for Races UA, if that fits the lore.
>>
File: 1400374626086.jpg (117KB, 784x543px) Image search: [Google]
1400374626086.jpg
117KB, 784x543px
>>55307176
>>
>>55306121
All the time. Following creature abilities by the book is problematic because my players are very experienced. I can't even throw a gorgon at them without someone already knowing the gorgon's weaknesses so I typically make up my own monsters and their own abilities that even don't follow the rules of the game (but are never insta-death or incapacitate).

I made a giant snake monster who had a 'facing' mechanic. If you were within the line of sight of the monster you slowly started turning to stone. Was a fun fight.

Naturally goblins and shit are standard but it's usually bosses that are 'cheated' in order to be a challenge for the party. A party of 4-6 players rarely finds a single monster to be a challenge unless you give the monster extra turns or some cool mechanic that is more than just 'do a bunch of damage and/or lockdown'
>>
File: 1561648416.png (205KB, 390x533px) Image search: [Google]
1561648416.png
205KB, 390x533px
Are there any "re-fluffing" from the original text/lore/flavor that you regret to this day?

I had this one where my players are pretty new to the game, enjoying Lost Mines and such. They're pretty heavy on video games but overtime they've successfully ushered themselves out of the videogame mindset and treated DnD like an actual tabletop RPG. Anyhow, into OotA, our Rogue wanted to multi-class to warlock and realizing it was his birthday a day after our usual session day, I thought it would be cool if I made his multi-classing level up to be story-tied. Just a cool badass moment for him where his character becomes a warlock after the boss fight. Additionally, this guy loves his Persona video games and I thought it would be fun if his multiclass "awakening" to become a warlock was gonna be similar to the series Persona awakening scenes.

So yeah, the boss went on as usual and when they brought it to 0, I made a story moment where the boss goes berserk and attempts to pin one of his teammates (I had one of my players in on it so he took the fall) and fortunately, my rogue player's character having a strong sense of camaraderie rushed to his aid and when he thought all hope was lost, I brought in the big moment and got him so damn excited. He summoned an avatar of his patron (being the Persona) and started wrecking the boss until it died. (I made the avatar "disappear" while telling him he has now formed a bond with the Archfey)

Fun times for all, rogue loved it, enjoyed the hell out of it and the entire table was happy for him. That said, some players are now going "HOLY SHIT WE CAN SUMMON PERSONAS?!" and a couple of sessions later they're now messaging me about concepts of their own awakening next time they level up and asking me when's the next big boss or some shit. I've told them it was just a moment for our rogue since it was his birthday. They've told me that maybe I can just bend the rules for them cause they want have the same scene.

I fucked up.
>>
>>55307117
>What are some quirks of the system to look out for?
5th is as streamlined as possible, the cr system is a joke so it is a very rough and vague guideline, there are some monsters that are low cr but easily punch above their rating, some of the wording on rules are vague be prepared to make an on the spot decision or ruling.
>How hard is it to wipe/maim a party?
Depends on the players, party composition, level and optional rule allowance. I've noticed by level three to five the party becomes decently hardy, can still be dropped if they are pants on head retarded but it is harder than previous editions. Then again with little to no guide on how to build encounters you can accidentally make an encounter you think they can take and it turns out it's a wipe.
>>
>>55307361
Just tell them it's not special anymore if everyone gets to do it
Then if they argue about it, keep repeating that until they shut the fuck up
>>
>>55307361
>Kill_them_all_Peter.jpg
>>
>>55307068
Truly, a wise dwarf. I bet he's respected and well-loved in his homeland.
>>
>>55307117
When running encounters for larger inexperienced parties, I find it's hard to run more than one significant encounter per session unless they're very long. This sucks, since it skews towards PCs who can blow all their resources quickly, monsters drop like flies, and the only threat is when a squishier PC is mobbed by melee attackers (death save rules are maybe too forgiving, unless somethings hitting you in melee while you're down, then it's brutal).

Some system quirks I attempt to houserule away: dexterity strong compared to strength and little reason to have both, many dump stats in general since dex/con/wis are the only common saves (look up reflex/will saving throw fix), lots of over/underpowered feats.
>>
>>55307441
They like his poetry anyway.
>>
>>55307361
>playing with weebs
You really did fuck up.
>>
>>55307456
That's fantastic! His mother-in-law must be fawning over him.
>>
>>55307361
They already have personas, they are called "characters"
>>
>>55307307
i dont know if i'm playing with autists or my deadpan is too good and they don't realize im joking
maybe im just not funny
>>
>>55307371
>>55307452
Ok. I've run games in several systems before.
So keep a closer focus on trying to balance encounter and I'll be good, then-ish?
Thanks
>>
>>55307495
>maybe im just not funny
Come, tell me a joke.
>>
>>55307508
/pol/, /b/ and /v/

There's 3 jokes :^)
>>
File: Unamused.jpg (44KB, 437x479px) Image search: [Google]
Unamused.jpg
44KB, 437x479px
>>55307604
>>
>>55307508
i've been isolated from people for so long i can only be funny in immediate reaction to something going on
it's actually pretty sad, i used to be funny on command somewhat
>>
>>55307138
>:]
Nice
>>
How do you like my reworked Witchbolt?

60 ft, Concentration, up to 1 minute. A beam of crackling, blue energy lances out toward a creature within range, forming a sustained arc of lightning between you and the target. Make a ranged spell attack against that creature. On a hit, the target takes 2d6 lightning damage, and on each of your turns for the duration, you can use your bonus action to deal 1d6 lightning damage to the target automatically. The spell ends if you use your bonus-action to do anything else. The spell also ends if the target is ever outside the spell’s range or if it has total cover from you.

At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, the initial and additional damage increases by 1d6 for each slot level above 1st.
>>
>>55307307
There's a difference between "not understanding a joke" and "thinking a joke is garbage and constitutes shitposting." :)
>>
>>55307713
>"thinking a joke is garbage and constitutes shitposting"
[shitposts]

Ebin :DD
>>
>>55307736
>>55307713
who cares
>>
>>55307695
I was going to post something like this. I personally like it, witchbolt is weak af.
>>
>>55307604
>Thinking /b/ is as bad as /pol/ and /v/
Heh, that IS a joke.

>>55307695
This looks good...
>you can use your bonus action
Woah woah, back the fuck up! Revert that to using your action and the rework is probably fine.
>>
>>55307695

Hmm. They made a choice to not give wizards Hex, Hunter's Mark, or anything similar. This might be too close to those.
>>
Why are monks Str/Dex proficient instead of Con/Dex?
>>
>>55307787
No, it's fine as is.
>>
>>55307825
>extra 1d6/2d6/3d6/4d6/5d6 damage per turn, that gets the Hex bonus, on top of Eldritch Blast spam
It's not fine.
>>
>>55307823
Because Con and Dex are two strong saves. All classes get 1 strong save and 1 weak save for balance reasons.

This is hands down the best litmus test for shitty homebrew. If you ever see homebrew with 2 strong saves, it is guaranteed to be shit because whoever made it has no idea what they're doing.
>>
There was an anon on here last night posting some screenshots from Tomb of Annihilation. Care to screenshot the Giant Snapping Turtle from the book? My copy hasn't come in yet to my LFGS
>>
>>55307823
Because everyone gets one strong save (Dexterity, Constitution, Wisdom) which are commonly used, and one weak save (Strength, Charisma, Intelligence) which isn't commonly used.
>>
If I get proficiency in thieves tools from two sources, do I get to pick another proficiency?
>>
>>55307851
>that gets the Hex bonus
Both Hex and Witch Bolt are concentration, so no
>>
>>55307962
If your DM isn't a fag, maybe.
>>
>>55307962
if you're talking backgrounds, the phb even mentions you can work with your dm to change around what you get if you have redundancy
>>
File: 3KM-w0_VQgab9PhVJou1vA[1].png (123KB, 374x189px) Image search: [Google]
3KM-w0_VQgab9PhVJou1vA[1].png
123KB, 374x189px
>>55307962
If it's a background you can just change it
>>
>>55307962
Depends on the sources.
If you're a criminal rogue, yes, you do.

>>55307965
...fair.
It still overtakes hex early and is guaranteed damage, though, so still OP.
>>
How do I explain to my friends that 5e is actually a mindset change from the high powered fantasy we played before in 4e to a more grounded, more realistic more story driven system? That the system itself is less overall higher powered heroic fantasy?
Or is that actually a flawed argument?

They want to barge in to try to win every fight, citing unwinnable encounters to be flaws in adventure design.

Something winnable in 4e might not necessarily be winnable in 5e.
>>
>>55308231
Tell them that.
>>
New planeshift when?
>>
>>55308231
If they want to play like that, make the game like that.
>>
>>55308325
yeah seriously this, you can make 5e a high powered fantasy by giving out magic items and scaling encounters accordingly
if they all want to play a certain way, either adapt or find a new group. it's no fun for either party to constantly be at odds
>>
>>55308231
Literally tell them using your actual words.
I'm an autistic person and communication is often stressful and difficult for me, and yet I STILL know that's what you're supposed to do.
>>
I want to DM a campaign for two players, I have all the dungeons and flow ready, I just don't know what thematic.
>>
>>55308439
Dragon's Dogma
>>
>>55308253
>>55308325
>>55308392
>>55308397
Whether they'll listen is another matter entirely. And this has been said to them. We also have a resident complainer in the group.
But having "boss" encounters which are winnable might not be a bad idea.

Thanks heaps, I really appreciate your responses.
>>
>>55308499
>Whether they'll listen is another matter entirely. And this has been said to them. We also have a resident complainer in the group.
Some people just like complaining because it's harmless and they'll do it about something no matter what, and some folks actually are discontent.
>>
File: kirarartransformation.webm (1MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
kirarartransformation.webm
1MB, 640x360px
>>55307234
There is no context, it's just CG porn of a character from a children's magical girl cartoon.
>>
>>55308609
One just feels really strongly and doesn't back down.
>>
>>55306514
yeah, next time the ask what class a boss, increase him by two levels without telling them. tell them "it's a boss get rekt scrubs" as the answer to their question. and then seriously injure a party member without rolling the dice.

this is what you should do but obviously don't.
>>
i live in a small town and the closest city is about 3 hours away. So finding a game in person is out of the question. Where can i find some online?
>>
>>55306896
>>55306926
If you weren't using line indentations, using a break between paragraphs is proper formatting.

I've been here since the very early days of /tg/, and have always formatted my posts as such, and for some reason within the last year or so, this "reddit spacing" meme has popped up.
>>
File: c20.png (273KB, 674x666px) Image search: [Google]
c20.png
273KB, 674x666px
Has anyone used the Greyhawk setting?
>>
>>55308629
Sadly you're just going to have to tell him that the situation isn't going to change no matter how much he whines and that if he wants to do something different he's welcome to go do something different.
It sucks having to draw that line, but remind yourself as you do it that you really didn't force the choice and didn't make him complain constantly, and neither are you responsible for his inflexible mental state.
>>
>>55308695
People are sad about Reddit I think because it's now a more famous place where the scum of the internet converge, and 4chan is forced to acknowledge that 4chan is somehow even worse then that.

That, and some idiots respout memes on here all the time because it's easier then formulating actual thoughts with actual opinions.
>>
>>55308678
roll20 is the go to answer
good luck finding a non shit game though
>>
>>55307211
idk, with them being at forgotten realms tech level the muzzle velocity you're getting isn't that much greater than an arrow and it's likely a round ball versus a bodkin point.

but maybe to differentiate them from other ranged weapons have them deal the 2d4, 2d6, etc but you have to spend a turn reloading them.

so you're getting heavier shots but less often is the trade off.
>>
>>55308709
Yes, but not since 3e. Sorry.
>>
>>55308709
>Has anyone used the Greyhawk setting?
Not in 5th.

Greyhawk is comfy af
>>
>>55308709
With 5e, No Way!
>>
>>55308876
>No Way
Why not?
>>
File: IMG_1897.jpg (20KB, 478x361px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1897.jpg
20KB, 478x361px
>>55308904
>>
>>55308932
Damn.
Then why are you here?
>>
File: x2ZfKuU.jpg (12KB, 192x192px) Image search: [Google]
x2ZfKuU.jpg
12KB, 192x192px
Well that a shame...

I wanted to play an older setting in a new system.
>>
>>55308965
So do it.
>>
>>55308724
Yeah, sadly, it hasn't been too bad this time round but he actually doesn't like the D&D systems and just likes to hang with us.
The thing is, you're right he's inflexible and rigid in his mindset. We could all slightly change to make the game enjoyable.
Thanks, bro!
>>
File: alignment.jpg (41KB, 750x600px) Image search: [Google]
alignment.jpg
41KB, 750x600px
>>55308978
Okay, I think that I'm going to try to find a group of players.
>>
>>55308992
I think "system elitism" is a really silly behavior as long as the system isn't totally unworkable.
Tell me, does he have anything else about him worth being proud of? Anything at all? Because a lack of that might be contributing to system elitism. That or taking the Internet way too seriously.
>>
>>55308965
And you picked Greyhawk?
Mystara or bust.
>>
>>55308709
Is there any reason to?
>>
>>55309133
It's the best.
>>
>>55308709
You mean the setting that even back in the TSR days no one liked yet people these days pretend it was always well liked and the best one?
>>
>>55309119
Eberron or bust.
>>
>>55307823
Because they're hard to knock over?
>>
>>55309193

What, you don't like the Duchy of Geoff?
>>
>>55309193
I don't know about pretending it's always been well liked, but I do really like Greyhawk.
>>
>>55307823
Purity of Body, Stillness of Mind, Evasion, Diamond Soul. Don't worry about saves for monk.
>>
File: eberron.jpg (76KB, 640x579px) Image search: [Google]
eberron.jpg
76KB, 640x579px
>>55309194
I see you're a man of culture as well.
>>
>>55309106
Don't think it's system elitism honestly, he just has strong unbending views on a lot of things. He's not a bad guy but also an attention seeker.
And yeah, he does take the Internet too seriously.
>>
>>55309269
I don't use eberron in actuality (CBA reading up on it), but my homebrew setting steals a lot from it
>>
>>55308015
>work with your dm
Background customization is not a variant rule. It is entirely within the player's right to swap things around and if your DM thinks otherwise tell that nigger to read.
>>
Has anyone used Fantasy Grounds to play D&D? If so, how was it?
>>
>>55309280
That's all rather unfortunate.
Well, it seems like you've done all you can to salvage the situation. Are your other players having fun at least?
>>
>>55309349
Just use Roll20.
>>
>>55309349
Yeah, we use it.
If you're a richfag, go for it.
If you're a typical 4chan user, roll20 is probably better for you.
>>
GIVE ME THE FUCKING UA WIZARDS

AND THE FUCKING SCAN

ARKJDFLSDLK;SD;KLJASSDJLKSFDJSFDALJSFFSD

SSFDK;LDFS
>>
>>55309349
I use it all the time and love it. The automation speeds up my games and it isn't a web-bound laggy monster like Roll20. You can select all the targets of a fireball and then roll saves and damage with two clicks, having the damage applied automatically.
>>
>>55309194
>I want to play Mystara's Alphatia / Blackmoor but with retarded noble families.
Fuckin' snooze.
>>
>>55309119
>Mystara or bust.
This 2bh
>>
>>55309392
SmiteWorks intern pls
>>55309349
It's alright. We have to use a free VPN to connect, not a big deal really, but something to think about.
Couple bugs here and there, but it's definitely the Caddie of VTTs.
>>
>>55309389
Out of solidarity with Texas and Florida being hit by massive flooding, Wizards will be postponing future UAs until most of the players in those states have internet access again.
>>
>>55309210
I mostly reference how in a lot of the OSR related shit you see people talking about greyhawk as if it was the one and only that everyone flocked to, when back in the day people left it behind for Mystara, Dragonlance.
>>
>>55309389
The Arcana, Wizards.
Unearth the Arcana, now.
Wizards...WIZARDS!
>>
>>55309018
What if I'm evil?
>>
>>55309389
I'm guessing the UA day after tomorrow will be something retarded, like, "If you wish to, you can assign roles to each class. Fighters are Tanks, and have this XP track; Wizards are..."

Something that will make my brain hurt is what I'm suggesting.
>>
File: Food.jpg (65KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
Food.jpg
65KB, 500x281px
>>55309478
You know it's coming.
>>
>>55309404
>Mystara
>Furry shit

Anon pls.
>>
>>55309349
expensive
>>
File: 4b8.gif (199KB, 198x309px) Image search: [Google]
4b8.gif
199KB, 198x309px
>>55309462
Then team up and kick Good's ass.
>>
>>55308783
>spend a turn reloading
I guaran-damn-tee you that not a single person will use them if you do something this ridiculously stupid. The much more sensable option would be to give them the Heavy property to keep monks and midgets away from them.
>>
>only selling hardcovers
>or as a pseudo-wiki on some web 2.0 app bullshit

Just sell a digital bookmarked searchable PDF with attached maps, stat blocks and art FOR FUCKS SAKE
>>
>>55309419
Does Eberron have a god who is a sentient and all-powerful t-rex who's just a cool guy and also set up the HOLLOW FUCKING EARTH as a nature preserve for ancient cultures? no. also holy shit HOLLOW EARTH

Does Eberron have a magically radioactive coast where everyone gets some kind of bullshit superpower and they run around having wacky swashbuckling adventures with guns and pirate swords? xendrik is gay and no

Does Eberron have a FUCKING SPACESHIP and LASER BEAMS? actually, maybe

Are the Gods in Eberron a bunch of former mortals who spend their time arguing amongst each other ON THE MOON while manipulating every adventurer down below into doing stupid soap opera plotlines for them to piss off their rivals because they have a non-intervention treaty with a convenient mortal loophole? not a chance, also House-based intrigue is automatically the shittiest way to go about it in any setting or form of media

Does Eberron have magical trains? okay so eberron's hasn't fallen behind here at least

Does Eberron have two fucking arcade games? no
>>
>>55309462
Insist upon a greater share of the loot? Not like you give a shit if some demon lord gets fucked over.
>>
>>55309365
Thanks bro, we could potentially work with it some more and resolve any issues.
Mostly, there's another who gets set off by this friend and complains with him, but we'll see what we can all do.
>>
File: mystaraimmortals.jpg (218KB, 1000x773px) Image search: [Google]
mystaraimmortals.jpg
218KB, 1000x773px
>>55309513
Does Eberron have abs like these?
>>
>>55309513
>>55309541
Mystara is truly the most patrician setting
>>
>>55309502
b-but people will steal them!
>>
File: D&D_Shadow_player_select.gif (229KB, 766x442px) Image search: [Google]
D&D_Shadow_player_select.gif
229KB, 766x442px
>>55309513
>Does Eberron have two fucking arcade games? no

What's the other one?
>>
File: racial classes.png (18KB, 384x224px) Image search: [Google]
racial classes.png
18KB, 384x224px
>>55309579
Shadow over Mystara was the sequel to Tower of Doom, but both are set in Known World / Mystara.
>>
>>55309575
PEOPLE STEAL THEM ANYWAY

YOU SHOULD MAKE YOUR PRODUCT AS READILY AVAILABLE AND CONVENIENT AS POSSIBLE TO RAISE THE LIKELIHOOD OF CUSTOMERS BUYING IT INSTEAD OF STEALING IT
>>
Aside from the casting classes, what class/multiclass provides the most combat versatility? What can deal with almost (if not all) resistances, ranges, and terrain types?
>>
>>55309579, >>55309605
Call me a perv, but I sure like how Japanese elf ladies seem to avoid wearing any and all pants if at all possible.
>>
>>55309502
>or as a pseudo-wiki on some web 2.0 app bullshit

which also you lose access to when inevitably wotc's next digital product goes belly up yet again
>>
>>55309635
It's really more sensible and more healthy on the long term for their penises.
>>
>>55309633
Monk
>>
>>55309513
You're getting your stupid fucking Tortles.

Be happy with that, it's the only thing from your shit setting you're going to get, the survey didn't even have mystara as a setting.
>>
File: mystarachars.jpg (130KB, 566x792px) Image search: [Google]
mystarachars.jpg
130KB, 566x792px
>>55309635
That's a Mystara thing, Elves lack pants technology in most areas of the setting.
>>
File: M2hRd70[1].png (2MB, 802x1138px) Image search: [Google]
M2hRd70[1].png
2MB, 802x1138px
>>55309541
Mystara had some sweet covers too.
>>
File: 1403802618621.jpg (84KB, 600x1069px) Image search: [Google]
1403802618621.jpg
84KB, 600x1069px
>>55309635
Seems like they have to choose between pants or a shirt.
>>
File: Smug jellyfish.png (525KB, 846x676px) Image search: [Google]
Smug jellyfish.png
525KB, 846x676px
>>55309660
heh
>>
>>55309639
That also. The fucking gall of asking someone to pay 30 USD for a book they already own is beyond the pale
>>
File: mystarasom.jpg (616KB, 1692x1194px) Image search: [Google]
mystarasom.jpg
616KB, 1692x1194px
>>55309681
>they didn't put Mystara as an option because it's the only one currently in development
>>
File: smug anime 12.png (2MB, 1214x1109px) Image search: [Google]
smug anime 12.png
2MB, 1214x1109px
>>55309513
Does Mystara have any books made for it in the last 15 years? No lol, enjoy your dead setting.
>>
>>55309705
>Only one in development
>Not been a thing for the last two decades.
>>
File: somthief.jpg (78KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
somthief.jpg
78KB, 1366x768px
>>55309690
Moriah isn't an elf.
>>
>>55309711
Who is this smug bitch, is she the one /v/ likes?
>>
>>55309666
any specific subclass?
>>
>>55309705
>Fighter wears gloves over his gauntlets
A true man
>>
>>55309730
Kensai so you can get longbow.
>>
File: gazetteer-alfheim.jpg (33KB, 383x500px) Image search: [Google]
gazetteer-alfheim.jpg
33KB, 383x500px
>>55309683
Further evidence
>>
>>55309702
dont forget the 5.99 monthly subscription to get any real use of out it as a DM
>>
>>55307361
Tell them they can get the same treatment and their birthdays then finish up the campaign asap
>>
>>55309018
But these guys are both LG
>>
>>55309705
Gotta love those classes

>Cleric
>Thief
>Fighter
>Magic User

>Elf
>Dwarf

Mhmm yes, Elf and Dwarf are my favourite classes.
>>
so I've been debating moving my totally legal collection of 5e stuff to actual legal physical stuff, should I get the DM's guide first or the PH?
>>
File: 06dcc9c055f43de1d2e1eeef3c6153.jpg (157KB, 736x952px) Image search: [Google]
06dcc9c055f43de1d2e1eeef3c6153.jpg
157KB, 736x952px
>>55309762
Shadow elves > Drows
>>
>>55309834
PHB, more versatile and you can run PUGs with it.
>>
Let's say your PCs wake up after being shipped wrecked in a hut owned by a talking pirate skeleton that just wants companionship after decades of being alone.

Who also uses loads of pirate and undead puns.

What would be their reaction?
>>
File: KKsEZ5X[1].png (2MB, 808x1026px) Image search: [Google]
KKsEZ5X[1].png
2MB, 808x1026px
>>55309705
They're not going to bring back Mystara because they're afraid of offending people who have no idea that settings outside of the generic 3e setting exist.
There's a reason wotc went out of their way to retcon most of the technological developments in the Forgotten Realms.

Here's your reminder that AD&D2e's FR campaign book said guns were already becoming a thing that mercenaries were trying to get and it'd be only a matter of time before they fell into common military use, the printing press was a recent invention with loads of implications around it, and two different parts of the world had just invented the steam engine and were trying to figure out what applications they could use it for aside from opening and closing massive doors.
Then 3e which took place several years later ignored all of that.

>>55309762
Use a bigger image mate.
>>
>>55309814
>Batman
>Lawful

I....wat
>>
>Set campaign in tropical paradise
>Instead of going for something new and introducing tanned Dwarves double down and make them all albino

If one of my PC's rolls one of these retarded things I'm giving him skin cancer
>>
>>55309819
Dwarf is pretty good
>wanting to get murdered because your Rod save sucks
>>
>>55309856
>Who also uses loads of pirate and undead puns.
If I didn't do this, my players would quit on whatever it was inhabiting my body not making the puns.
>>
>>55309863
>implying a race with that much Con gives a shit about cancer
Probably makes them stronger, retard
>>
>>55307813
>>55308036
hex also lasts much longer, is guaranteed whereas wb requires a spell attack, and the extra 1d6 from hex is activated every time you hit with an attack whereas this wb is limited to one per turn and costs a bonus action. Additionally, hex transfers to another creature without costing another ss if the first creature dies.

So it's damage scales decently, I'm aiming for it being less than Call Lightning when cast at 3rd level, 3d6 vs 3d10. since call lightning uses an action, and WB is guaranteed (If it hits in the first place anyway, so casting WB at higher levels is a risk)
>>
>>55309840
It's been a while but I recall them being far less lol-so-random than Drow with a society that could actually support itself.
>>
>>55309851
followup question, I've got the 4e Monster Manual. Do I really need the new monster manual, or are statblocks pretty much the same conversion-wise?
>>
>>55309857
I hate people who can't take settings that are outside generic fantasy, wish there was a term to describe these people.

Generic Fantasy is the most trite, boring thing.
>>
>>55309911
>or are statblocks pretty much the same conversion-wise?
No, 4e's stuff will blenderize your 5e characters.
>>
>>55309911
Yes, you really need the 5e MM to run 5e. 4e and 5e are incredibly different.
>>
>>55309925
So you're saying do it anyways, as a joke?
>>
>>55309923
Thing is, most settings we think of as Generic Fantasy used to have more fantastical or high-tech elements because at one point, "yeah there's a spaceship and ancient plasma weapons" WAS generic fantasy.
>>
>>55309923
Technology in my DnD?
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>55309957
This but only semi-unironically.
>>
>>55309950
Certainly it was, the separation of fantasy and sci-fi only happened in the past few decades. I just find it absurd when even shit like the development of renaissance technology is seen as poisoning the well.

Though I also enjoy a bit of an old school ancient plasma weapons setting every so often.
>>
>>55307302

Dwarves get +2 Str/Con in addition to the custom Relentless/Stone's Endurance ability that I made. I was toying with the idea of switching the dwarf's poison resistance for fire, since that's more in keeping with Tolkien's work (where dwarves were said to be resistant to fire) and my campaign is aiming to be slightly more Tolkienesque than it is Forgotten Realms.

I'm not sure if I actually made Gnomes or Halflings too much stronger, to be honest. I removed subraces and added certain things from those subraces to the default. Gnomes get +2 Int and +1 Wis (instead of the +1 Dex or +1 Con) in addition to Artificer's Lore and Tinker on top of their base stuff. Halflings get +2 Cha/Dex (changed from +2 Dex and +1 Cha or +1 Con) and Naturally Stealthy on top of their base stuff, as well.
>>
>>55309978
>>55309957
>>55309950

My friends think I'm bullshiting them that fantasy used to be mixed with sci fi.

They also didn't believe RPGs came after wargames. Funniest part is, I'm the youngest in our gaming group.
>>
What do tinkerer's tools do?
>>
File: robelf.jpg (146KB, 800x998px) Image search: [Google]
robelf.jpg
146KB, 800x998px
>>55309978
>tfw Mystara has an entire race of decadent future-Elves waited on hand and foot by robot servants living in the Hollow Earth because a magic spell cast by a friendly T-Rex keeps them all working after he spirited them away from certain destruction when an alien spaceship's power core went nuclear and nearly gibbed the whole planet
>>
>>55310022
They fix pocketwatches which don't exist in your setting because the DM is a grog and doesn't believe people with FUCKING MAGIC and advanced metallurgy can handle the printing press.

So now they make wind-up McDonald's toys, but out of tin instead of plastic.
>>
>>55310022
Pretty sure theres something in the phb about building yourself small robot toy.
>>
>>55310049
Rock Gnome racial. I think you can make a Zippo, too.
>>
>>55310022
They let gnomes make their little doodads.

But if you were an artificer I would reasonably allow it if you wanted to use it to modify your mechanical servant over time,
>>
File: 2jbpf6t.jpg (142KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
2jbpf6t.jpg
142KB, 400x400px
>>55310017
Jesus christ, you poor man.
>>
>>55309861

>rigid moral code
>obsessed with justice
>called the dark knight

Yeah I don't know how anyone could get that idea...
>>
>>55310069
HE BREAKS THE LAW
>>
Why are folks asking for scans of ToA I thought it didn't come out for another 10 days
>>
>>55310079
Some autistic shit.
>>
>>55310077
Lawful doesn't apply just to the laws of the city or country you're in. You can be Lawful in a city that mandates the ownership of slaves even if you find that detestable.

Also, alignments are an average.
>>
>>55310033
That's just too bizzare for any setting I'd want to play in.

Not only that, there are too many themes for my enjoyment, I prefer one theme to be present over all others, like Eberron is House politics and Magitech, Dark Sun is Post-Apocalypse.
>>
How do I make my warlock good if I don't want to eldritch blast every turn?
>>
>>55310079
Because stores receive items before they are allowed to sell them and people who work at said stores have access to them and can do whatever the fuck they want if no one finds out.
>>
>>55310017

I bet your friends think Star Trek is hard sci fi.
>>
>>55310079
>>55310107
It came out in WPN stores (officially) and digitally yesterday.
>>
>>55310079
Roll20 and other online versions came out a while ago, I've also seen people in my DMs facebook group posting hardcopies but I have no idea how they got them
>>
>>55310098
Every setting has regional themes, even Eberron and Dark Sun. Most people in Mystara have no fucking clue about lasers and robots. The spaceship explosion is considered to be some weird natural disaster and subsequent magical mutation shit going on.
>>
>>55310077

>Paladin walks into orc territory
>Slays orc chief that has been raping and pillaging the countryside
>Killing the orc chief is illegal in orc territory
>Paladin breaks his oath

Makes sense to me!

Read the description of the alignment, not just the first three letters of it.
>>
>>55310043
>>55310049
>>55310063
So if I got proficiency with it I could do the gnome stuff?
>>
>>55310121
>Eberron
>a setting so amazing that when we made a videogame about it, we went to a continent where we could make shit up and do whatever while ignoring the fleshed-out mainland
>>
>>55309723
>Her name is Moriah
I knew she looked familiar.
>>
>>55310165
idk ask your dm dude, I'd let my PC build a musket if he had the materials and a couple of years
>>
>>55309911
Just download them all from the trove you mouthbreather
>>
>>55310098
It's bizarre because the poster put it out in the open as plainly as possible.
In setting it'd be more described as "It's believed there was an ancient group of elves with magic so advanced they were waited on hand and foot by extremely specialized golems, but when the Great Rain of Fire occurred they were wiped out like so many others. Oddly divination attempts made to learn more about this particular group of elves consistently fails, as if something were still actively today prevent their being found..."
Then you'd have to go out and find the item that specifically explains what that shit actually is, which would likely be a book entirely on the region you're uncomfortable with so you'd never look at it anyway.
>>
>>55310165
That's up to your DM. Perhaps Zippos and wind-up toys are secret Gnome knowledge or some shit.

Historically, Tinkers were roaming tinsmiths (hence the name). Tinsmiths made (and tinkers repaired) pots and pans and vases and vessels and forks and spoons and knives and decorative plates and scissors and cookie cutters and cans and cake pans and flour sieves and cookware and sugar bowls and teapots and whatever the fuck else. They're Blacksmiths who don't heat and pound metal, working with thin sheets of tin-coated iron or steel (or copper sheets) instead of huge chunks of those metals.

The notion that Tinkers are "tinkering inventors" is kind of a fantasy thing. Get with your DM to figure out what's going on in your campaign.
>>
Does anyone know of previous edition Gith variants updated for 5e? I've got a Githyanki invasion planned for my campaign (Heavily inspired by the Dragon magazine #309 module and later on the #100 module.) but the only Githyanki I've found are what's in the MM and a Githyanki Harrier homebrew I've found when looking online.
>>
>>55310384

The ones in the DMG are the only ones.
>>
>>55309773
There is a subscription? Holy fucking mother loving Christ

Kike mearls indeed
>>
File: Train Robbery.jpg (82KB, 640x579px) Image search: [Google]
Train Robbery.jpg
82KB, 640x579px
>>55310098
>like Eberron is House politics and Magitech
Eberron is designed for pretty much every pulp genre at once. Indiana Jones and/or Lost World stuff, arcane nuclear wasteland in the Mournlands, an evil robot uprising, noir detective stories in Sharn and the other big cities, a bodysnatcher-style alien invasion, superspy conspiracies between the great houses/nations/that illuminati stand-in, piratical adventures, Conan-esque stuff with those halflings.

Sometimes even Wild West-styled stories, because who doesn't love a good ol' train robbery?
>>
If Iymrith has teleport is there any reason she would ever be killed by the party
>>
>>55310542
Exactly. All settings have places you can go to do things outside of the standard medieval fantasy genre stuff; Eberron isn't some monolith, it's as "kitchen sink" as the rest of them, but with a tech (or magic-tech) level slightly higher than most.
>>
Our party is venturing into a fish cultist infested city, where we presumably won't meet any friendly faces. What are some nice things to buy in preparations?
>>
>>55310565
Because she's a dumb bitch who refuses to leave the party alone in her underground lair once they're down there, and she just happened to make her fucking nest in such a way that she can't use her biggest anti-PC advantage: dragon flight.
>>
>>55310577
Anti-Shark Spray
>>
>>55310591
Yeah I am going to have her be on the walls firing spells along with the trebuchets and gargoyle longbowmen when the players approach
>>
>>55310602
You win the internet, my friend.
>>
>>55310577
Ear plugs, hand mirrors, colored candles and a wax sealing kit, ammonia salts, blood-drawing equipment, and several notepads to fill with a rotating cipher so you can call out that party member of yours who was mind-controlled when he doesn't have access to the latest codephrase.
>>
More of a fluff question than hard mechanics but how would you do a non-evil Death Domain Cleric?
>>
>>55310017
You should tell your friends about the classic Barrier Peaks adventure; show them the opening to Thundarr the Barbarian; and tell them about how in the source materials Vancian magic is literally just insanely complicated mathematics that used to be a hard science until a mild apocalypse happened, and now it's reduced to people hoarding "magic words".
>>
>>55310651
Do a character that wants the undead to be shepherded and protected from those that would exploit them.
>>
>>55305076
>>55305140
That would also require that Hasbro has competent software developer contacts, and I don't think there's any evidence that they do.
>>
>>55310651
I use Grave Domain instead.
>>
>>55306138
If the DM springs an encounter on us? Never. But on the occassion such as a certain One Piece 5e game I'm in, where we get to initiate combat on completely unaware NPCs, we plan tactics fairly well.

Although, if you count planning stuff while levelling up in general, I did switch spells we chose with a Warlock - he was gonna take Counterspell and me Dispel Magic but I took Counterspell on account of him needing his reactions due to being melee.
>>
>>55310653
>Thundarr the Barbarian
>SUPER SCIENCE
>>
>>55310651
Someone that follows and preaches their name out of fear?
>>
>>55310706
And sorcery and magic swords. The opening has a warlock dude summoning a monster and one of the other main characters casting Force Cage.
Thundarr's sword is literally called the Sun Sword. Which do you think came first?
That's not a rhetorical question, I'm actually not sure.
>>
I made a level 3 sorcerer, is this spell selection fine?

1st: burning hands, charm person
2nd: scorching ray, suggestion

I believe Burning Hands / Scorching Ray are the best combat spells at those levels right? Chromatic Orb does more single target damage, but BH is AOE. At level 2, SR competes only with Cloud of Daggers, which is continuous, but requires concentration, and is easy to walk out of. How good is SR compared to the level 2 charm spells, specifically Crown of Madness or Hold Person, which can also be used out of combat?
>>
>>55310759
I'm not disagreeing with you. Chances are that, like most fantasy or mixed fantasy settings of the period, "magic" is simply unexplained superscience. There are those that put the two side-by-side, but you're still given the impression that the magic is misunderstood science. And those settings with magic and no trace of technology at all? Still fucking science. "Sorcery", because wizardry wasn't a big thing until later, was often just psionics.
>>
>>55310813
Are you a dragon sorc? Otherwise you need some defense
>>
File: LAAAAAAAAW.jpg (138KB, 600x784px) Image search: [Google]
LAAAAAAAAW.jpg
138KB, 600x784px
>>55310160
>ignoring the first three letters
>>
>>55310831
Yes, dragon, 14 dex, 16 con. I plan on running if I'm ever in melee.
>>
>>55310906
Burning hands is 10.5 damage on average
Thunderwave is 9 damage, but it hits 2 more squares, is a bit easier with aiming, pushes enemies away from you and is a better damage type
>>
What is your opinion on min-maxers?

What is your opinion on DMs that intentionally punish min-maxing?
>>
>>55310160
I swear the system that was once meant to assist people new to the hobby with guidance for their role has grown to this level of cancer.
>>
>>55311043
don't care as long as everyone is having fun
>>
>>55311043
>What is your opinion on min-maxers?
Their fun is wrong
>What is your opinion on DMs that intentionally punish min-maxing?
They're bad DMs
>>
So what's been your most enjoyable character /5eg/? Either from a roleplay or mechanical perspective.
>>
>>55311052
I feel that's both the player's and DM's fault.
>>
>>55310101
pact of the blade, booming blade/green flame.
>>
>>55311074
Grease Wizard, for being the Wizard of Grease.
>>
>>55311074
I only had one and I like him by virtue of being my first character.

He's a Half Elf Fighter (Eldritch Knight) named Elias the Swift.
>>
File: dwarf7.png (2MB, 1280x1732px) Image search: [Google]
dwarf7.png
2MB, 1280x1732px
>>55311074
A dwarf forge cleric. Virtually every spell I want, I have. A lot of control, utility, support, healing, and if I want to really fuck people up? I have spirit guardians, one of the best damaging spells in the game.
This is also the PC that is arguably the protagonist of the game, being the most active PC in the party, and the one who the party chose as a leader. Willingly.
>>
>>55311043
I gently discourage it but I dont care unless theyre actively overshadowing the other characters in non-combat areas
>>
>>55311074
Storm sorcerer Triton pirate who go off on sinking ships
>>
The firearms talk early in this thread inspired me to adapt Sharpshooter archetype into a Gunslinger Archetype for Rogues. r8/h8

Gunslinger
The Gunslinger is a master of Firearms. An excellent trick shooter, this rogue is a perilous foe who can defeat an entire war band so long as they are kept at range.

Bonus Proficiencies
Beginning when you choose this archetype at 3rd level, you gain proficiency in all Firearms.

Quickdraw
At 3rd level, you are ever ready to spring into action. On the first round of combat, if a creature moves or takes an action before before you do and is within range of a firearm you possess, as a reaction, you may draw

and fire a firearm of your choice with the following benefits:
• The attack ignores half and three-quarters cover.
• If the target has no cover, you may make the attack with advantage.
You can use this feature as many times as half your proficiency bonus rounded down. You regain all expended uses of it when you finish a short or long rest.

Nimble Fingers
Starting at 3rd level, you may load a firearm even if you have a weapon in each hand.

Point Blank
At 9th level, you learn to take advantage of your firearm's frightful power. if you hit a creature within 5 feet of you with a ranged attack on your turn, that creature is Deafened and Frightened until the end of this turn. In

addition, making a ranged attack while within 5 feet of an enemy doesn’t impose disadvantage on your roll.

Fanning
Starting at 13th level, you learn to trade accuracy for swift strikes. If you make an attack against a creature and do not have disadvantage on that attack, you take disadvantage to make additional ranged weapon

attacks equal to half your proficiency bonus, rounded down, as part of that action.

Improved Quickdraw
Starting at 17th level, you have mastered the art of the duel. When you use the Quickdraw feature, you may use the Fanning feature as well.
>>
File: 1503551550885.gif (240KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
1503551550885.gif
240KB, 320x320px
What if your ability to use armor was based purely on your Strength score, rather than having proficiencies granted by classes/feats?

Like, 11 lets you use Hide, 12 lets you use Chain, and you have to get to 19 before you can use Plate, just for example.
>>
>>55311232
But why
>>
>>55311043

I think I'm great.
>>
File: 8LSW8l7.gif (835KB, 300x169px) Image search: [Google]
8LSW8l7.gif
835KB, 300x169px
>>55311232
That's dumb, anon.
>>
>>55311244
Because of the "le armor is le heavey when le worn" meme.
>>
File: 1358398960423.png (907KB, 786x726px) Image search: [Google]
1358398960423.png
907KB, 786x726px
>>55310077

I'M NOT WEARING HOCKEY PADS
>>
>>55311232
>having to have demigod tier strength to wear 25kg of metal spread over your entire body

na senpai
>>
>>55311262
>tfw soldiers wear and carry much more than any knight ever did, while jogging everywhere, and they've got 14 Str
>>
I've just made a necromancer wizard for dnd. Is this a good spell selection?

Cantrips are.. chilling touch, Predigitation and minor illusion.

Spells are..
Ice knife (to aoe groups_
Magic missile (to drill into a target)
Witch Bolt (As above, I'll use it on bosses)
Find Familiar (They're helpful)
Mage Armour (To help stay alive)
Silent Image (lots of uses to control crowds)

What do you think?
>>
File: 1498498449457.gif (505KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1498498449457.gif
505KB, 1080x1080px
>>55311244

Because it seems to me like there's a strong correlation between characters who avoid damage by having heavy armor and characters with high strength scores. Meanwhile, there's not necessarily a strong relationship between characters who pick a particular class and players who want to avoid damage that way.

>>55311262

D&D literally treats armor this way already by giving chain mail a 13 str requirement, while giving splint and plate a 15 str requirement. I'm just wondering why they don't use that for all the armor instead of just those three heavy armors.

You can argue that it's unrealistic if you want, I'm sure you're right, but it doesn't seem like D&D is opposed to looking at it that way.
>>
Is there a good set of guides/breakdowns for allt he classes and subclasses in 5th?
>>
File: dd bounty hunter.jpg (137KB, 930x800px) Image search: [Google]
dd bounty hunter.jpg
137KB, 930x800px
I want to make a hunter character, something that's less of a tree-hugging hippie and more of a thug who doesn't mind doing dirty work for money, similar to pic related. My thought is to go Ranger and stock up on caltrops, nets and even med packs, but due to the fact that these are items not reliant on class I can't help but wonder if Fighter or Rogue isn't the way to go. I'm not worried about dpr as much as I am about methods of controlling and debuffing and wearing foes down so I can nab or kill them. Ranger gets those tracking abilities and the Snare spell at least but I'm not certain. What do you guys think?
>>
>>55311043
Is it possible to min max 5e. The game already plays itself for you.
>>
>>55311353
>The game already plays itself for you
I didn't know the game rolled dice for me
>>
>>55311353

There's always a more optimal way to build your character (depending on what you're making it to do), 5E just leaves much less room for making a totally shitty character.
>>
>>55311363
>he doesn't slope his PHB in such a way so as to merely let the dice fall down the binding and roll gracefully into the DM's view due to the ever so slight change in air pressure as he snaps his fingers

Damn
>>
>>55311043
As long as they don't get pissy when they get targeted in a stat they've MINed, and they play up the flaws that come with that MIN, I guess I'm cool with it.

As for powergamers don't have wrongbadfun but their idea of fun tends to clash with mine, and some of my players's.
It kinda sucks wanting to play your character and often being stopped because mister powergamer thinks he can do better because he dumped cha and refuses to RP anyway and his moon druid can do the heals and the spells and can both tank and stealth with wildshape and won't let the game progress unless he gets his way.
>>
>>55311353
You can still optimise.
A variant human GWM/PAM barbarian is going to do more damage than a dwarf paladin that gets a +2 str at level 4
>>
>>55311228
So 4 attacks as fighter
Plus 1 for twf
Plus 4 from quickdraw and fanning
Plus 3 from fanning
Plus 4 from action surge

If you see nothing wrong with 16 attacks kill yourself
>>
>>55311350
I guess that all depends on the idea you have in more specifics? Like mechanics can be reflavored, but I guess it's all if you want him to be a "heavy" or a "sneak".
Hunter's Mark's an iconic Ranger spell and definitely seems to be something your concept suggests would be useful.
>>
>>55311350
Thief can do many things, such as using objects and making a sleight of hand check, with a bonus action. This is a hugely underestimated feature.
You can limit yourself to using caltrops... Or you can use manacles too. Or, say, take a Healer feat for your ASI (you'll have lots of those as a rogue) to casually raise your buddy from a crit and immediately throw him back into combat.
>>
>>55311441
>fighter
READ, NIGGER, READ!
>>
>>55311452
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
>>
>>55311452
>>55311441
You'll never get 4 attacks or action surges as a fighter if it's taken as a rogue archetype but you can still multiclass.
>>
>>55311391
>he doesn't use a pop-o-matic
>>
>>55311232
If they did something like that it would start at 7 or 8 Strength and go up to 13 or 14 strength at most.
Though even in AD&D they recognized that was stupid and said a character who has armor training should treat armor as weightless for encumbrance.
As an optional rule introduced like 2 years later.
>>
>>55311285
>tfw also plate harness weight is distributed across the body so is easier to carry than a 50 lb backpack
>>
Can I move between attacks if I can attack more than once?
>>
>>55311544
I dunno, can you read a book?
>>
Does anyone know off the top of their head the rules for equipping big mclarge swords?
>>
>>55311043
they are likely to ruin the game by making encounters / events too easy, or too difficult for the rest of the group if the DM decides to up the challenge
>>
>>55311552
Can you be less autistic?

>>55311544
Yes, you can freely move between attacks and in combat but be mindful that you don't provoke opportunity attacks.
>>
>>55311552
Can you not reply if you're not interested in helping out?
>>
>>55311594
>>55311595
you know what I CAN do? Read a book.
>>
>>55311552
Readnigga.jpg
>>
>>55311445
I suppose what I'm asking is "what are the ways for a Ranger to be useful outside of damage?". It's kind of hard to specify what I want because I think what I want is utility, and utility is by nature a general concept.

>>55311447
I'll keep that Thief ability in mind, and I didn't actually know about manacles, so that leads me to another question: What are some good items for general utility?
>>
>>55311622
>"what are the ways for a Ranger to be useful outside of damage?"
literally the other 70% of the ranger's abilities.
>>
>>55311610
You're a big boy now.
>>
File: 1383074399446.gif (30KB, 272x426px) Image search: [Google]
1383074399446.gif
30KB, 272x426px
>>55311509

Well maybe the particular strength scores would be different, I don't know, but I think doing it that way is better for game balance than doing proficiency...or at least it's more interesting. I think because you have a fair few options for turning Dex into your +hit/+damage stat, it makes it a little too good, and I think the best way to balance that would be to let Strength also be a combined offense/defense stat. Meanwhile, it would allow classes that currently will never try to be melee an option to do melee if they're willing to invest in a strength score; like you could make a Dragonborn Sorcerer that has 14 str and thus can wear all the heavy armor, so they don't need a dex score, they just jump into melee like an arcane paladin. A good dex save is still better to have than a good strength save, but it could be balanced out by strength characters having heavier-hitting weapon options over the rapier/shortsword/dagger.

Just seems more interesting at a mechanic level, whereas now strength is only good for those classes that can wear heavy armor.
>>
>>55311645
damn right.
>>
>>55311610
Does it matter if no one wants to play with you?
>>
>>55311664
yes, books are friends.
>>
>>55311664
Not him, but I'd rather play with people who can read the book than anyone else
>>
>>55308036
Flaming sphere says hi.
>>
>poisoned
>Attack with disadvantage
>poisoned, blind, prone, restrained, exhausted and frightened
>Same as above
?
>>
>>55311726
Advantage and disadvantage aren't resources that get counted and stacked, it's a condition that you either have or don't.
>>
Rolled 14, 10, 5, 18, 9, 11 = 67 (6d20)

This is Chunko, my Goliath Barbarian
>>
>>55311805

Is the 5 going into Int or Cha? That is the question.
>>
>>55311805
>Chunko
Is he named for what he'll look like after his first fight?

>>55311822
Welcome to 5eg, when people roll for stats like this they're always assigned in order, so the 5 is in Constitution
>>
>>55311805
Chunko Smartypants, the worst yet smartest of the barbarians. We don't expect him to live long.
>>
>>55311805
>my Goliath Barbarian
Not for very long it seems
>>
>>55311828

Well that's dumb, you shouldn't decide the class ahead of time if you have no control over your stats.

This'd make a fine wizard.
>>
>>55311475
>>55311441
2 fighter/17 rogue is not enough fighter to get you 4 attacks. You only get 1 attack, barring fanning which gives you disadvantage. In a round, You can only do the following:

4 attacks from quickdraw and fanning (all with disadvantage)
4 attacks from attack action and fanning (all with disadvantage)
4 attacks from action surge and fanning (all with disadvantage)
1 for twf

So that's 13 attacks in the first (and only the first, you have only one action surge and can only quickdraw once per encounter) plus a probable 9d6 sneak attack on your turn. That's a pretty huge opening burst (if you manage to hit anything with all that disadvantage), so lets consider what we can do the rest of the fight:

1 for twf
plus 9d6

So, you gain a huge opening burst and 3 extra attacks with disadvantage for the rest of the encounter. For the next two encounters you can only get:

4 attacks from quickdraw and fanning (all with disadvantage)
1 for twf
plus 9d6

as an opener and then the 3 extra attacks with disadvantage.

Has anyone played enough level 19 content to gauge whether or not this is ridiculous? What kind of damage would the casters be pumping out in that first round at level 19? What if Fanning were to have a limit of 3 uses per rest?
>>
Rolled 15, 7, 4, 9, 12, 16 = 63 (6d20)

Shadow monk coming through
>>
>>55311880

Should be Wussypants McWeaksauce the Paladin.
>>
Rolled 2, 8, 20, 3, 9, 7 = 49 (6d20)

Aight I'm doing it as well. Tempest cleric.
>>
>>55311880
I'm sorry to tell you this, but your monk has severe leg AIDS. He's pretty swole and good with his words, though
>>
>>55311870
>you shouldn't decide the class ahead of time if you have no control over your stats
Great, you're starting to understand why this is only done for fun after 5eg hits bump limit
>>
>>55311909
He can't do much, but he won't die
>>
>>55311936
I don't know, he might forget to eat sometimes
>>
Rolled 4, 6, 3, 2, 1, 6 = 22 (6d6)

Wild mage
>>
>>55311946
That's a miscarriage
>>
>>55311946
Whoops, wrong system
>>
Rolled 9, 16, 7, 17, 1, 8 = 58 (6d20)

rerollan
>>
Rolled 5, 18, 3, 1, 17, 7 = 51 (6d20)

>>55311943
Don't worry, his volunteer big sister Teliah the Half-elf Paladin is here to help
>>
>>55311946
GODDAMMIT QUASIMODO THAT IS A BROOM OF FLYING NOT A MOP! GET THE FUCK BACK IN YOUR CLOSET!
>>
Rolled 8, 10, 7, 2, 13, 9 = 49 (6d20)

>>
File: IMG_0463.jpg (18KB, 360x270px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0463.jpg
18KB, 360x270px
>all of these low int and con rolls
>>
>>55311962
That right there is a monk with the intelligence of an ooze.
>>
Rolled 18, 2, 19, 15, 17, 3 = 74 (6d20)

A dragonborn assassin rogue.
>>
>>55311982
A suboptimal retard.

>>55311985
Sounds about right.
>>
Rolled 3, 16, 16, 4, 4, 7 = 50 (6d20)

Bladesinger snowflake gonna rekt u all (donut steel)
>>
Rolled 6, 6, 17, 1, 11, 9 = 50 (6d20)

>>55311962
>>55311909
Dont worry, the brains of the party is here
>>
Rolled 13, 1, 20, 14, 18, 6, 18, 1, 5, 2, 13, 5, 18, 18, 8, 20, 2, 12, 2, 11 = 207 (20d20)

>>
>>55312016
Nigger what are you doing
>>
Rolled 1 (1d1)

ONE ROLL TO RULE THEM ALL AND IN THE SHITPOSTS BIND THEM
>>
>>55312025
Two 20s, the rest are 18.
>>
Rolled 4, 6, 5, 5, 4, 3, 2, 5, 2, 3 + 40 = 79 (10d6 + 40)

roll a dexterity saving throw.
>>
>>55312046
Hey DM, what do I roll for that
>>
Rolled 6, 5, 1, 4, 10 = 26 (5d11)

Because I just want to watch the world burn.
>>
File: READ NIGGA.jpg (65KB, 600x686px) Image search: [Google]
READ NIGGA.jpg
65KB, 600x686px
>>55312060
>>
Rolled 1 + 8 (1d20 + 8)

>>55312046
I'm a monk with evasion
>>
>>55312069
Yeah but what number do I add
>>
Just got through a day long AL event. Ask me anything (kill me)
>>
>>55312095
Why?
>>
>>55312077
Ooosh. Feel free to roll your next character while we continue.
>>
>>55312095
>a day long AL event
Are you Alpharius?
>>
Rolled 2, 1, 5, 12, 12, 15 = 47 (6d20)

>>
>>55312124
Only took ~40 damage senpai I'm still in the fight
>>
>>55312103
Don't have friends (.) to play with
>>
>>55311074
Either my last Character, a Kobold ranger with the voice of Sean Connery, or my brand new character I'm breaking out tomorrow. A Warforged Fighter re-fluffed as a Creation of another player's artificer.
>>
>>55312211
>(.)
?
>>
>>55312242
I don't have friends full stop.
>>
>>55312257
Oh that's actually sad
>>
>>55312257
Why not?
>>
>>55312257
You made any friends through adventurers league?
>>
New thread folks:
>>55312433
>>55312433
>>55312433
>>
File: Gyarados' Quick Feet.png (73KB, 155x232px) Image search: [Google]
Gyarados' Quick Feet.png
73KB, 155x232px
What damage type is recommended for being stuck by an attack in the form of a sudden charge of water? Like, getting blasted by a powerful fire hose or something.

Bludgeoning? The water's not necessarily cold so it's not necessarily cold damage.
>>
>>55312266
Eh, more things for me to be sad about.
>>55312274
Just don't find it very easy.
>>55312355
Sure. People I play with I'm friendly with and talk about stuff, but it's not a thing where I'm going to their house for drinks/games
>>55312239
>>
>>55312443
Definitely bludgeoning, check the Tsunami spell
>>
Rolled 16 + 2 (1d20 + 2)

>>55312046
Come on dm, my warlock is still level 6
>>
>>55306386
>>55306400
>>55306401
He's not breaking his oath, he's giving it up. It's a straight up "I'm not capable of adhering to this oath and as punishment I'm giving up my powers."

If they broke the oath, oathbreaker (and a curse to punish them). Otherwise, I'd have them convert to their level -1 fighter. Next level up, bring them into normal progression again.

To clarify, drop them 1 level temporarily and bring it back after a session or two.
Thread posts: 416
Thread images: 46

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.