[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 350
Thread images: 47

File: 1504282496444.jpg (3MB, 4800x3780px) Image search: [Google]
1504282496444.jpg
3MB, 4800x3780px
Long Rest Edition

>Unearthed Arcana: Three-Pillar Experience
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-ThreePillarXP.pdf

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Alternate Trove:
https://dnd.rem.uz/5e%20D%26D%20Books/

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread:
>>55168055

What was the last town your party stopped at like, and how did you spend your time there?
>>
Can you justify being a necromancer/druid?
>>
>>55178240
Yeah
>>
>>55178195
Pass without a trace allows for an exception of tracking through magical means.
The tressym tracks through his magic senses.

I'm not going to pretend I'm unarguably right, just that the ruling is out there.

And I admit the last one is more for my sake than all the time I have ever fantasized about killing the Druid. No, I'm not the DM for him (I am for another group though)

>>55178240

You certainly can, not sure you can do it well.

I mean, say you're a Twilight Druid, worshiper of the Raven Queen, who allows the command of fallen heroes in the battle against her hated enemies...
>>
>"Squired" Armor
>This piece of armor has been designed with multiple straps and buckles to be work like a jacket. It offers the same protection as a Chain Shirt, 13 + Dex Mod (max 2) to AC, with the advantage that it can be donned or doffed quickly by spending an action.
>>
>>55178240
Yes, they were a thing back in 3.5, and they were called Blighters. There are also asshole, vampire-worshipping druids in Curse of Strahd adventure.
>>
>>55178240
depends on the setting lol
>>
>>55178192
We're about to rest in Neverlight Grove.
>>
>>55178192
Has anyone here ever incorporated terrorism into their campaigns? We all know the chase of the BBEG (ugh) or the group of henchmen coming after the group, but what about an enemy that wears no uniform and hides in the crowd? How would you current group deal with such a threat, where the enemy could be a zealot commoner hiding right around the corner with an empowered fireball scroll at the ready?
>>
I want to play a tanky frontline character whose primary goal is to soak damage, but most options are really bland gameplay wise (like babarian or most fighters).

What are some nice options I have, when I already played a Paladin and a Stone Sorcerer?
Any fun things you can do as an Eldritch Knight (including multiclassing)?
>>
>>55178240
Furthermore how would one roleplay a druid beyond the fantasy hippie archetype
>>
>>55178308
One of my players had a real bitch of a time with this.

She got blue balled real mad when an artificer noble bad guy they were fighting suddenly had one of his animated armor constructs going GLMOP and encasing the enemy giving it pretty effed up Armor Class mid battle.
>>
>>55178240
>>55178408
To me it just sounds like the ultimate AYM NOOOTRUL sociopath who will kill anyone to preverse some arbitrary cosmic "balance"
>>
>>55178408

>you dumb assholes burned down my nice forest home so now I'm a'gonna infest your fucking bones with termites
>>
>>55178192
I recognize those backgrounds.
>>
>>55178404
Abjuration can absorb damage without even being in the front lines.
>>
>>55178408
I play my druids as conservatives types who are reluctant to adapt to all the new fancy arcane magics and metals shit
>>
>>55178408
>Neutral Evil
>Believe this world is unnatural and a paradign shift in nature will occur soon
>Just like meteors hitting causing evolutionary acceleration etc
>Life goal is to awaken the Tarrasque, befriend her and lead the world to a new world order of evolutionary perfection

That's how I play my evil druid anyway.
>>
>>55178408
I play my Guardian Aasimar Druid as a happy go lucky Maui-esque guy, who was sent by a dopy primordial godess to spread the joy of life around a little.
>>
>>55178452
Yeah I definitely want to play an abjuration wizard at some point too, but it seems like we will lack much of a frontline when we will start playing ToA
>>
>>55178404
Play an Abjuration Wizard Dwarf. Wear Medium Armor, soak damage through your shield and having a high AC. Enjoy casting spells that stun/root/weaken enemies etc.

You're a Dwarven Defender! But a smart one!
>>
>>55178408
Here's a list of wrong assumptions about druid that you're in no way obligated to comply with.
>Druid must be a loner and a hermit
>Druid must spend most of his time in the forest
>Druids only care about nature
>Druid must prefer animals to people
>Druid must have a heart attack every time he sees an animal killed, or a tree cut

Picrelated is a good example of a druid. A boy from a noble family, who doesn't really care about some fucking trees. He's pretty much forced by circumstances into becoming an apprentice to a druid, and his job entails not so much "Protecting muh sacred grove" and more like "Holy shit, unseelie fey want to wipe out the humanity (and also the seelie fey), I must stop them".
>>
>>55178408
My Half-Orc Druid is basically Norman Borlaug, ending all the woes of civilization through engendering a deeper understanding of agriculture and cooperation with the natural world. Fuck all the hippie shit, all you need to know is crop rotation and selective breeding of crops for pest resistance to improve yields. Now there are fewer people starving, so there's fewer people stealing. Crime's down, murder's down, everyone's cool, and these fucking city-dwellers can stop expanding into my goddamn forest because I just doubled the production of all their fields.

Stay on your own goddamn side of the line and no one gets lightning bolted.
>>
>>55178408
There was a badass example of a druid in the well written Jewel of Turmish FR novel.
He was amoral and completely devoted to the survival of the fittest trope, and was a badass warrior.
>>
>>55178481
Someone else in this thread suggested dwarf wizard to wear medium armor, and I have to agree. That shit's good.
>>
>>55178529
>muh malar
>>
File: Why there isnt a vegetable druid.jpg (105KB, 1350x758px) Image search: [Google]
Why there isnt a vegetable druid.jpg
105KB, 1350x758px
>>55178511
Good point. Druids are really just defenders of the natural flow of the world. You could be a totally sick Aberration hunting Druid or a barbaric dragon riding druid.

Druids are fucking cool once you get past the hippie faggotry.
>>
File: 1425696194574.jpg (175KB, 625x828px) Image search: [Google]
1425696194574.jpg
175KB, 625x828px
>weekend session called off so DM can watch a fucking NASCAR race or some shit

cool cool yeah cool yeah yeah yeah cool yeah cool

this is the same dickshit DM who ditched us to go to gencon and I'm this close to just fucking off and finding a roll20 game
>>
Playing a Rogue and I've just hit level 3 to become a Arcane Trickster. What should I multi-class into and how much?

This is what the group has for casters:
Ranger
Druid
Cleric
>>
File: fucking invincible dwarf EK.png (56KB, 864x348px) Image search: [Google]
fucking invincible dwarf EK.png
56KB, 864x348px
>>55178532
>>55178488
I mean, it kinda works with Abjuration Wizard.
>>
>>55178569
Your DM is a selfish piece of shit. Ditch him.
>>
>>55178569
I mean, not running for a week to go to gencon is pretty legit.
>>
>>55178532
>>55178488
At that point wouldn't starting with one level in fighter be better? Medium Armor with a shield and defensive fighting style, and then take a race that gives me int
>>
>>55178628
Yeah, you could. But dips tend to hurt casters, even little dips.
>>
File: Alignment.png (351KB, 591x480px) Image search: [Google]
Alignment.png
351KB, 591x480px
>>55178408
Druids were originally champions of balance and Neutrality in the same way paladins were champions of Law and Good. The druid position is that all the various factions of the multiverse - all those angels and demons, modrons and slaad, elementals and whatever the fuck else - should fuck off and leave the prime material plane to its natural existence.

So a "get off my lawn attitude" in which your "lawn" in the entire prime material plane. You're there to protect the physical world itself. You don't have to worry about a few trees.
>>
Why isn't there an official way to make every creature in the Monster Manual a player race? Why are we stuck with humans, humans with ears/horns, little humans, big humans, multicolored humans, scaly humans, etc.? Why do you have to homebrew ubiquitous things like skeletons or bug people in 2017? Why are cringey catgirls an official race in lieu of anything better?
>>
File: What The Fuck.gif (2MB, 370x335px) Image search: [Google]
What The Fuck.gif
2MB, 370x335px
>>55178628
>Not wanting to be a Dwarf
>Playing an obvious 'wizard' race

You are disappointing me.

But yeah Fighter X/Wizard Y is probably the best way to go for the idea, whether or not Dwarf gives you armor proficiency because you going to want those few extra hitpoints, the heavy armor and the shield.

Might as well go Fighter 3 for action surge/heal. Maybe even Fighter 5/Wizard 15 for the extra attack action. I'm not really familiar with the rules of casting + attacking with multiple actions so I'd make sure before doing all of that. Worse case go Fighter 3 for battlemaster for a maneuver.

I wouldn't go into level 2 or 3 fighter until I was happy with where my wizard level was at. so like, Fighter 1/Wizard X until you are satisfied with a certain spell level then dump your next two levels into fighter for more benefits maybe?
>>
>>55178757
most of it would just be too overpowered
>>
>>55178702
>Druids were originally champions of balance and Neutrality
Which lead to ridiculous situations, like druid helping a lost child to reunite with his family, but then burning down their house to balance it out.
>>
>>55178757
Why would you want to do that? That'll lead to horrendous power balance.
>>
>>55178757
How am I suppose to be the hyper cancer character of my party by pretending to be Papyrus, my husbando if skeltals aren't stat'd?
>>
>>55178702
Are fey extraplanar beings? They seem like they are but they're always tied to the natural world too.
>>
You guys ever have any art of your characters commissioned? How did it turn out? Any recommendations?
>>
>>55178765
>>55178786
I want them balanced, of course, that's what I mean. If that weren't an issue, you could just do it already.
>>
>>55178808
I have! Pic related.

I'm playing her for the first time on Sunday, I'm hyped.
>>
>>55178757
>Why are we stuck with humans, humans with ears/horns, little humans, big humans, multicolored humans, scaly humans, etc.?
>Why do you have to homebrew ubiquitous things like skeletons or bug people
You mean bony humans and humans with antennae?
>>
>>55178822
well what did you honestly expect?
>>
>>55178802
I honestly can't think of a time a party wouldn't be improved by having Papyrus in it.
>>
>>55178834
>bony humans

This is a great example of racism! As a SJW I DEMAND that WotC insert UNskeltals! Humans who choose to remove all the bones from their bodies because they don't feel like skeletons deep inside!
>>
>>55178834
In a word.

>>55178851
I expected a roleplaying game set in a fantasy world teeming with interesting races to have more than just Tolkien shit, genies, and whatever else. Warforged are a good start.
>>
>>55178856
We already have slimes, nerd.
>>
>>55178856
Stop false flagging and go back to >>>/pol/
>>
>>55178853
I agree but the cancer that is the Undertale community has ruined any chance of me playing the goofy skeleton in some random evil campaign.

Worse yet one of my favorite characters was a Water Genesi (or Undine) fighter that wielded a trident. Fuck me, right?
>>
Do you let players come up with their own command words for magical items, or do you set the command words yourself?
>>
File: gishwarlock.pdf (2MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
gishwarlock.pdf
2MB, 1x1px
>>55178192
Do rogue/warlocks work pretty well? Which rogue archetype should I go with?
>>
File: Impressive Bait.png (5KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
Impressive Bait.png
5KB, 225x225px
>>55178871
:^)
>>
>>55178894
I mean, yeah, but we're going to keep pointing it out until the fucking retards in this thread learn what it is.
>>
>>55178888
He's a doughboy AND retarded, what a great character!
>>
>>55178877
I prefer to make my own as a dm so that I can control how much of a problem it will be. Making the command word "I" is fucking great.

Until they gave the item to the half-orc barbarian who speaks in the third person
>>
File: kek.gif (897KB, 800x430px) Image search: [Google]
kek.gif
897KB, 800x430px
>>55178932
His charisma is so high because he is a momma's boy. She taught him how to speak to the ladies and be a good little gentleman.

I'd literally play him as some pudhy guy who puts oil in his hair and combs it down and is really sweet in a "aww he's retarded" kind of way.
>>
>>55178888
Sure because you focus on Dex, maybe even be a feypact warlock. You could go thief or swashbuckler if you want to be all up in their grill.
>>
>>55178932
Got to maintain concentration and get that Armor of Agathys synergy. I'm thinking darkness gives an average +5 AC, and I can use Shillelagh for melee.

>>55178966
Sounds fun as fuck, actually. I'm super non threatening in real life, so I could play him as a mega creeper, too.
>>
>>55179021
>I'm super non threatening in real life, so I could play him as a mega creeper, too.
No.
>>
File: 1.jpg (39KB, 598x608px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
39KB, 598x608px
>saiyan homebrew is both super fucking busted and super retarded an nonsensical
>don't even like Dragonball that much
>still wanna fix it

Just the fact you get Super Saiyan at level 3 triggers the fuck out of me. Even more that Super Saiyan only gives bonus damage and nothing else.
>>
>>55178604
How are you casting shield with a shield and weapon in hand?
>>
>>55178875
I don't even want to play a goofy skeleton, I want to be a skeletal necromancer, no memes. I hate waiting around for 5e to do something about it because I also hate being the "homebrew guy."
>>
>>55178757
>cringey catgirls
Don't you mean furry humans, tabaxi are anthro but not anime levels of catgirl
>>
>>55178866
if only creativity was encouraged

if youve read the material and are good with crunch and have great ideas why not implement them?
>>
>>55179087
Spell component pouch memery
Drop-cast-pickup memery
DM-not-being-a-faggot memery
>>
>>55179144
Shield is a reaction, so how do you drop your weapon as part of the reaction?
>>
>>55179081
>saiyan
>class

Wut
>>
>>55179162
You know that part of your somatic casting where you wave your hands around and make weird finger symbols?
You make the first gesture "completely opening up your hand".
>>
>>55179166
Saiyan Fighter is the only Saiyan specific class to my knowledge.
I mean Saiyan itself could use some overhaul but Saiyan Fighter is dumb as fuck.
>>
Wew, just had my first ever session, it was great fun

noob question, if I have a greatsword and a mace+shield as carried items, what is involved in switching between them? Do I use an action or what?
>>
>>55179240
Drop sword for free, draw sword and shield as part of a move action, proceed to clobber fools.
>>
>>55179265
Don/doff a shield is an action though. That said, most DMs don't really mind so >>55179240 should be fine.
>>
>>55179265
>>55179240
Dropping a weapon is free.
Drawing a weapon can be part of your attack.
Per RAW, equipping a shield takes a full action.

But equipping a shield as an action is fucking retarded when it still takes up your hand so fuck it. Any DM I'd want to play with wouldn't enforce that rule.
>>
>>55179240
What did you like about 5e?
>>
>>55179265
>>55179278
>>55179293
Alright thanks. I have a feeling I'll stick to my greatsword for the most part since I've got GWF and GWM but it's good to know regardless.

>>55179301
Couldn't say, never played any other edition before. It was fun
>>
>the Tavern Brawler winds up with a +3 Rod of Lordly Might
>at level 5
>he routinely drops it mid-combat to punch something and grapple them
>>
>>55179337
Shoot your DM
>>
>>55178192
Heya /tg/, made a wild magic sorcererss for a game tomorrow and I wanted to get your opinions on the spells I took. Shes more of a support character, than a blaster per se. We have lots of high damage martials in the group, I just want to make them shine.

0/
Control Flames, Fire Bolt, Frostbite, Message, Minor Illusion, Prestidigitation
1/
Mage Armour & Shield
2/
Enhance Ability
3/
Counterspell, Fireball, Haste
4/
Banishment, Confusion, Polymorph
5/
Hold Monster & Telekinesis

Any recommendations or must have spells? Really the biggest thing on my wishlist is Grease, but its not on the sorcerer list for some reason. Cest la vie.
>>
class/stat me /5eg/
>>
>>55179038
lol
>>
>>55179191
Doesnt work like that m9.
>>
>>55179326
Good to hear, did everything run and flow smoothly? Did everything just work?
>>
>>55179352

I think if you want to go support you should have gone Land Druid or Wizard.

But that spell lost looks fine. You've got the bases covered.
>>
>>55179326
Ask your DM. To be honest, most don't enforce those rules as long as you're reasonable about it.

I'm pretty anal about some rules and that's one of the ones that I just don't bother with.
>>
What are the differences between the different kinds of arcane focuses in terms of gameplay?
>>
>>55179377
More or less, there were a couple small mixups but nothing too serious. I decapitated a bunch of cultists and almost one shot their leader thanks to a lucky great weapon master proc
>>
>>55179381
She's my old characters daughter.

Last character was a an abjurationist. He about had a heart attack when it turned out his daughter was a sorceress. This is basically take two on that.

Oh, and the reason I'm playing her is that he didnt survive the fight against the reality devouring god they defeated. He got ate, soul and all, just before they killed it. Almost looking forward to the angst, to be honest.
>>
>>55178382

Yeah, one of my villainous groupd was a group of insurgists fighting against the regulation of magic.
>>
How big is your mini collection /5eg/?
Mine is 291 minis not counting duplicates and individual pieces in the sets like Tomb of Annihilation's Traps and Tombs set
>>
>>55178481

My main issue with them is they're 100% combat unless you have the niche scenario where you need to dispel a magical trap or effect.
>>
>>55179392
Literally none, they're just flavor differences
>>
>>55179392
Just flavor, unless your DM decides crystals, wands, or orbs are easier to hide or maneuver with compared to staves.
>>
>>55179439
only like 100 sadly I couldn't afford much when I was a kid

the bulk of mine I just got recently from the monster menagerie
im very pleased with the pieces honestly
will probably get more
>>
>>55179464
It brings me great pleasure to provide minis for the group, I only started collecting recently because I only got into d&d with 5e but still own quite a few 3e and 4e ones
>>
>>55179440
Well you can still pick any spell you like, its still a wizard
>>
>>55179357
Make your own thread.

But human fighter with a 1-level dip in wizard for cantrips: Control Flames (Igni), Blade Ward (Quen) and Friends (Axii); and spells Burning Hands (Igni), Shield (Quen), Thunderwave (Aard), and Grease (Yrden).

Also this has been done before.
>>
>>55178569
Oh no you can't leech of his hard work for one day whatever will you do
>>
>>55178603
You shouldn't
>>
>>55178762

There are two other races that are better than dwarf when it comes to abjueation:

Deep gnones get advsntage on all mental saves against magic and can fill up their ward by casting nondetection.

Yuan ti have advsntage on any savingvthrow against magic.
>>
>>55179193
>>55179081
What, exactly, did you expect? Get a hobby for Christ's sake
>>
>>55179357

Monster Hunter ranger from UA, Variant human
>>
File: 1434753019871.png (5KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1434753019871.png
5KB, 500x500px
>>55179577
What the hell are you saying nigga? That because I don't like sloppy homebrews I don't have a hobby? The fuck you think I'm in a 5e thread for? Groceries?
>>
>>55179357
Shit.
>>
why don't they just fix 4 elements monk
>>
>>55179081
Seriously, D&D levels don't even come close to being over 9000.
>>
>>55179631

Didn't they ssy they regretted the idea in the first place and that there's no space for them?
>>
>>55179631
Everything costs 1 less ki point
Done
>>
>>55179673
Did they? Source?
>>
>>55179631
According to talks from then, it's because they don't seem to think there's anything wrong with them.
>>
Would Yuan-Ti warlocks be GOOlocks or Fiendlocks?

Also how likely would Yuan-Ti be to like, capture a dragon and forcibly mate with it to birth half-dragon Yuan-Ti to empower their ranks? Or would that be too impure for their liking?
>>
>>55179697
Yuan-ti are racial supremacists, breeding with any other race would be taboo
>>
>>55178932
>8 INT
>-1 mod
>retarded
Does not work like that, mate. Come back when his INT drops to at least 3 and he gets smacked with a head injury.
>>
File: IMG_0666.jpg (222KB, 1242x1330px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0666.jpg
222KB, 1242x1330px
>>55179687
>they don't seem to think there's anything wrong with them
Has anybody at wotc played a wot4e elements monk beyond level 5 before?
>>
>>55179752
I'd say 6 Int is definitely in the retarded range
>>
I just want Xanathar's to be out already.
>>
>>55179752
>Not understanding hyperbole
>On 4chan

Found the 8 intellect retard
>>
>>55179757
APPARENTLY people aren't complaining enough, as they cited there wasn't enough bitching about it to justify a revision.
>>55178888
"Shou"?
>>
File: Elf for ants.png (33KB, 102x110px) Image search: [Google]
Elf for ants.png
33KB, 102x110px
>>55179757
>implying wotc plays anything other than wizards
>>
DM just made the judgement call that we all moved forward a year since we last played. We made no decision and we had no idea he was going to do it. He didn't allow any input and we can't argue it. He just said we moved to a northern town and are living in that town. We knew literally zero of this before tonight.

Am I wrong that this is kind of fucked up to make these decisions for us?
>>
>>55179725
Figured as much. Shame.

Maybe I'll just have em enslave a whole bunch of dragonborns to use as foot soldiers/cannon fodder instead.
>>
How do you make an interesting magic hand crossbow?
>>
I made an Eldritch Knight dual wielder expecting that throwing axes around and then teleporting them back to me would be cool. I'm now 2 sessions in (level 10 because previous character died) and I'm starting to regret my decisions, I'm wondering if there's any way to salvage this shit.
>>
>>55179818
Trademark bad DM move imo.
>>
>>55179818
For what purpose is the one year skip? It sounds contrived as fuck and literally useless. Tell him you knocked some chick up and now have a babby as your animal companion.
>>
>>55179826
Energy arrows magically appear so reloading is never an issue?
>>
>>55179826
You can cast enlarge on it to turn it into a real weapon
>>
>>55179763
A 6 INT goblin may appear retarded, but a 6 INT human is mostly functional, if slightly uncreative, absent-minded or rigid in thought, Hardly notable, though, certainly not to the degree of obvious debility.
>>
Why don't they just chop off ten levels and rebalance the game around 1-10?

When's the last time you planned a character and actually expected to use your late-game class features? When's the last time WotC even supported high level play outside of AL modules?
>>
>>55179845
I concur

>>55179846
Zero purpose. He said he did it because he is trying to get us where he wants us to be for his plans.
>>
>>55179826
>Shots penetrate and can hit a single enemy behind the enemy in a line for 1/2 the damage.
>If the enemy is large or greater, it takes 1.5x the damage due to better penetration, doesn't pierce the enemy if large+

That's all I got, hand crossbows are ghey ._.
>>
>>55179868
'muh tradition'
>>
>>55179859
6 Int is that guy you know that's pretty dumb, but still managed to pass High School. He may not come up with many bright ideas or be quick witted, but he still gets through life. Won't be going to college except to get a trade degree though.
>>
File: Everything is not ok.gif (370KB, 206x176px) Image search: [Google]
Everything is not ok.gif
370KB, 206x176px
>>55179873
>Literally being railroaded

Don't leave the game. Start trying to go off the adventure path (with the help of the party, don't be 'That Guy') to show him passive aggressively that railroading is wrong but never EVER tell him he sucks at being a dm.
>>
>>55179868
I mean, nothings stopping you/your DM from just doubling XP or giving two levels each milestone
>>
>>55179911
I really like this. We are playing now so I'll try this lol.
>>
File: received_1961514264131215.jpg (113KB, 1239x1920px) Image search: [Google]
received_1961514264131215.jpg
113KB, 1239x1920px
>>55178808
Our Dm's friend is doing our party for free.
Pretty happy with how my warlock turned out.
I never actually bother actually using those sickles though
>>
>>55179439
I've gone in on all Reaper Bones kickstarters for hundreds each, plus a collection of figs over the years. D&D is an excuse for mini painting and modeling for me. So overy a 1000. I might not be the best DM but I we got some scenic tables.
>>
>>55179873
>Zero purpose. He said he did it because he is trying to get us where he wants us to be for his plans.
Terrible. If he was a DM even worth the slightest crap he'd try to make his plans be where you guys want to go.
>>
>>55179770

Who's going to be the one to add it to the trove?
>>
>>55179631
My quick fix:
Bonus action to cast.
Elemental cantrip.
Done.
>>
>>55179941
>Make Mechanus a Dyson Sphere or Ringworld where Primus is the star
Is this cool y/n?
>>
>>55179956
I gave him shit and he just ignored me. Lol typical for this campaign. I'd leave if everyone else wasn't so fun to play with.
>>
>>55179808

Get people complaining about Trickery Clerics, Champions, Bersekers, sorcs in general and Assassins too
>>
>>55179826

Runetech pistol thst deals force damage, houses a sentient being called Gunter and can make an additional attack whenever it kills something.
>>
>>55179898
Even older editions only nominally supported levels past 10. Characters stopped gaining hit dice and improvement was overall much less significant than in the first 10 levels (except for Magic-Users, and that's when "caster supremacy" began being a thing), usually stopping dead at 17. Hell, B/X doesn't even have spells past 6th level. Making the higher levels more relevant was one of the 3e selling points and we all know how that turned out
>>
File: DBQj0f4UwAAWJ0r.jpg (21KB, 336x426px) Image search: [Google]
DBQj0f4UwAAWJ0r.jpg
21KB, 336x426px
New adventurers league surrogate characters thing has some incomplete info on PC grungs.

Size and ASI aren't specified. Walking speed is 25 ft.

SPEED. You have a climb speed of 25 ft.

AMPHIBIOUS. You can breathe air and water.

POISON IMMUNITY. You are immune to poison damage and the poisoned condition.

POISONOUS SKIN. Any creature that grapples you or otherwise comes into direct contact with your skin must succeed on a DC 12 Constitution saving throw or become poisoned for 1 minute. A poisoned creature no longer in direct contact with you can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success. You can also apply this poison to any piercing weapon as part of an attack with that weapon, though when you hit the poison reacts differently. The target must succeed on a DC 12 Constitution saving throw or take 2d4 poison damage. No additional effects apply.

STANDING LEAP. Your long jump is up to 25 feet and your high jump is up to 15 feet, with or without a running start.

WATER DEPENDENCY. If you fail to immerse yourself in water for at least 1 hour during a day, you suffer one level of exhaustion at the end of that day. You can only recover from this exhaustion through magic or by immersing yourself in water for at least 1 hour.
Discuss.
>>
>>55180033
>Hell, B/X doesn't even have spells past 6th level.
Going by the Rules Cyclopedia compendium of BECMI, Cleric/Druid spells cap at 6 but Magic-User spells reach the full nine.
>>
>>55180186
I'm going by B/X since it's mostly what people play nowadays. The other letters exist for people to scavenge ideas for their B/X games
>>
>>55180235
Yeah but B/X was kinda just designed as "entry-level" D&D and then you were supposed to move on to AD&D to enjoy the "meatier" stuff. So of course they were going to put a cap on it.
>>
>>55179763
An ape is 6 INT. A retarded human, say the average negro, probably has 7 or 8
>>
>>55179972
Sounds neat.
>>
>>55179858
Pretty interesting idea, say once per rest you can magically turn it into a ballista, but don't forget it requires 3 actions to fire so maybe it also creates some shadowy magical servants who operate it with you
>>
>>55180277
6 INT ape != 6 INT human. Chasis matters quite a bit when it comes to figuring out actual capabilities.
>>
>>55180120

Seems weak
>>
>>55180277

>>>/pol/
>>
>>55179868
Tyranny of Dragons, Out of the Abyss, Storm Kings Thunder, Princes of the Apocalypse and Tales from Yawning Portal all go above 10
>>
>>55180343
BUT its true, have you not seen the bellcurve
>>
>>55179908
SIX INT IS AN APE YOU 4 INT IDIOT
>>
File: 1490667975790.jpg (91KB, 612x612px) Image search: [Google]
1490667975790.jpg
91KB, 612x612px
>trying to justify having 6 int as a human
>>
File: jsHYmDt1JuE.jpg (93KB, 620x640px) Image search: [Google]
jsHYmDt1JuE.jpg
93KB, 620x640px
>>55180375
Found the INT -- shitposter golem.
>>
>>55180033

Wouldn't the game just slow down to accomodate things?

And what about all the cool end game stuff like illusionary reality, spellthief (AT cap).

Ect.
>>
Which of the following is the best?

>Bard 2/Sorcerer x
>Paladin 2/Sorcerer x
>Warlock 2/Sorcerer x
>>
>>55180409
Sorcerer X
Bard X
Paladin X
Warlock X
>>
>>55180383

/pol/ pls go.
>>
>>55180328
Int is Int is Int
>>
>>55180409

Sorlock.
>>
>>55180409

Straight paladin.
>>
>>55180409
>paladin 2/sorcerer X for nova blasting and 3.5 utility
>warlock 2/fighter 1-3/sorcerer X for full-time turret mode
>bard 2/sorcerer X for being proficient with your tongue
>>
>>55180383
/pol/ please stay
>>
>>55180328
Da fuk? Attributes exist to compare differing entities within the game, it's a matter of relativity. No my friend, chassis does not matter.

t. Brain in a jar
>>
>>55180406
It's not necessarily a good fit for 5e, but if you want to get into it, maybe you could cap things at 11th level and handle the rest via E6-style progression. I figure this would require pretty extensive homebrewing. Out of the top of my head, fighters would probably need a substantial buff to compensate for not getting their extra attack and therefore being eclipsed by paladins and barbarians in pure damage until the very last level
>>
>>55179818
Update: my DM is now speaking for players at certain spots, literally putting words in our mouth. "Todd says..."
>>
>>55180519
Run, RUN and don't look back
>>
>>55180429
Yes, but behavioral and social dispositions associated with a certain INT score depend heavily on the creature type in question. A 6 INT human differs in demeanor, resourcefullness, personality and base capabilities from a 6 INT ape almost as well as they do from a 6 INT infernal fiend.
>>
>>55180519
Tell him maybe he'd be happier playing the game all by himself if the rest of you no longer have any input.
>>
>>55180409
paladin 2/hexblade 1/sorcerer x

>>55180458
Why fighter? Just for action surge?
>>
>>55180519

Start doing the same

>"Jirmun the blacksmith says he'll, give us platemail for free"

If he's gonna talk for your characters, talk for his NPCs.
>>
>>55180532
It's still 6 int bro, which is a retard
>>
>>55180552
I told him to write up everything that I do and to let me know what he comes up with. He got super pissy. I said I didn't like being railroaded, and he got CRAZY mad and said that this is normal for story but its definitely not railroading. lol.

>>55180566
I'm going to try this once we are out of combat.
>>
>>55180464
Attributes exist to compare differing entities within the relatively narrow context of attribute checks. Chasis does matter, as there is decidedly more to intelligence than +5% to History checks, yet this bonus to certain d20 rolls is all that INT amounts to as a game abstraction.
>>
>>55180577
-10% to History checks is not 'retardation', but being born with a nonmagical affliction (that might be modelled after some of those DMG insanity rules and can be cured with a restoration spell) probably is.
>>
What are the rules about becoming Eldritch Knight at Fighter 3? Is it just poof, you can now cast spells, or is there any prep work the new muscle wizard has to do?
>>
>>55180641
It is poof. Your constant and rigorous training is a background assumption, much like a wizard is assumed to constantly plunder the celestial spheres for his 2 spells per level.
>>
>>55180633
By that same logic, +5 to a history check isn't "genius", but it is. The actual modifier isn't important AT ALL. If you have 6 int, you are straight up retarded, no argument.
>>
>>55180641
Mechanics-wise, yeah. Poof, you know the magicks.
Fortunately my players plan ahead and usually flavor up their path to spellcasting.
>>
>>55180682
>but it is
But it isn't. Have you seen those wizards in play, anon?
>>
druid barb multiclass that focuses on enhancing the druids humanoid form and runs around with a glaive supporting the party with minor buffs like a paladin.

Thoughts?
>>
>>55180682

The average IQ is by definition, 100.

The common commoner (heh) has 10 int.
That means 6 int is 60 IQ.

So yeah, retarded.
>>
>>55180762
>with a glaive supporting the party with minor buffs like a paladin.
Why not just play a paladin at that point? Also you can't cast and rage
>>
>>55180715
If you have 6 int, you're retarded. There's no debating this.
>>
>>55180682
INT in D&D doesn't represent the sum total of a character's brain. INT tells you that a tomato is a fruit, but there's other things about tomatoes that require other skills. Wisdom tells you tomatoes don't belong in fruit salads, Charisma tells you how to sell a tomato, and Dexterity means you know how to best throw a tomato and possess the physical means to do so.

Look at the skills associated with Intellect:
>Arcana: how much you know and understand magical trivia and lore
>History: how much you know about the world and its past
>Investigation: Critical thinking skills, logical deduction
>Nature: your knowledge of the natural world and its systems, encompassing both biology and the earth sciences
>Religion: your knowledge of deities, demigods, myths and legends

There are plenty of people who have trouble with all those skills and are not clinically retarded. Uneducated sure, which is why the well educated Wizards use Int while the living innawoods Barbarians don't.
>>
>>55180762
1) shillelagh is better for self-defence
2) rage fucks up your spellcasting
3) you can concentrate on one spell at a time, and there is no way to recast it if it drops during your rage
4) you have more total health with your two wildshapes anyway, and call lightning or moonbeam keeps working even while you are wildshaped
>>
>>55180799
If you have 6 int, you literally have the intelligence of an ape. You are retarded. There is no debating this.
>>
>>55180775
fun

>>55180762

Ehh, I like it. Pure druid and just be angry is probably better since I don't think you can cast spells while enraged?
>>
>>55179940
You lucky fuck
>>
So, I'm new to TRPGs and I'm having my first session tomorrow with complete strangers. What I should I do/don't do to avoid being "that guy"? What classes would you recommend?
>>
>>55181030
Basically, being "that guy" is being the person that ruins the fun for other players, and there are a LOT of ways to be "that guy".
>>
>>55181030
1. the game isn't about you
2. no player killing or fucking over other players
3. The DM is God and the final say on bullshit
4. it isn't a video game, feel free to try weird shit like steal a coinpurse or whatever
5. Don't have side conversations during the FUCKING GAME TAYLOR YOU FAGGOT SHUT THE FUCK UP IM TRYING TO KILL A FUCKING TROLL
>>
>>55180120
Jesus christ.

Powerful bonuses and an utterly crippling negative side effect. I thought 5e was trying to NOT do that shit?
>>
>>55181096
>5
This shit is so irritating, combat that used to take 15 minutes takes an hour or more now because the two chucklefucks who joined both cant shut the fuck up AND ALSO spend a good solid minute EVERY SINGLE ROUND going "UHH UHH UHH I'LL DO... X, NO WAIT Y".
Which leads me to add a 6 to anons list- know what you intend to do before your turn comes up.
>>
>>55181025
Oh absolutely
We were willing to pay commission for them, but he just wanted to fill his portfolio so told us not to worry.
Good times
>>
>>55180774
IQ isn't a flat distribution
>>
>>55178808
>paying for art
lol, no

got a friend that does art though, so I've got a few. can't post it here though.
>>
>>55181130
>Powerful bonuses and an utterly crippling negative side effect. I thought 5e was trying to NOT do that shit?
Drow have disadvantage on rolls in sunlight so crippling negative side-effects were kinda there from the get-go.
>>
File: 1496592343759.png (97KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
1496592343759.png
97KB, 512x512px
>>55180799
>tomatoes don't belong in fruit salads
Let me guess, you never had a fruit salad that wasn't pure sugar.
The tangy and slightly sour flavour of tomatoes goes well with the refreshing sweetness of watermelons. Wrap it in a bit of mozarella or mild gouda and that shit is golden.
>>
>>55181276
Don't forget the duergar.
>>
I'm basically modeling my next villain after Bowser in terms of personality and resources, but I'm not just recreating him exactly, so I'm not intending to use a reptilian race for him. Is lich good? I'm going to make him have to team up with the party later.
>>
>>55181276
Oh yeah, true
>>
>>55181289
I'll always forget about the Duergar....
Not out of malice, but because I don't have the SCAG, just the core books, a few adventures and Volo's.
>>
>>55181310
I can recite you the racial bonuses and abilities of Duergar and other obscure races from memory, but don't ask me about elves or humans.
I'm probably a "that guy" but I cannot stop myself from playing exotic races.
>>
>>55181218
And ability scores aren't linear
>>
>>55181326
We all have our blind spots, anon. I won't hold it against you.
My current group is all exotics. Dragonborn, half-drow, air genasi, tiefling and kobold. So I won't hold that against you either.
>>
>>55181353
The ___Kobold___ better be a rooty tooty ultra cutie waifu.
>>
>>55180775
Warhammer wood elf aesthetic. Don't wanna make another paladin, already ran a lizardfolk ancients paladin that was all about nature.
>>55180884
You support with whatever spells are needed then a lot of the spells druids cast aren't concentration.
>>55180836
wouldn't use shillelagh unless I needed to hit something and didn't have a magic weapon. It would drop the D10 damage to d8 anyway.
2. cast spells first then rage, don't always have to rage in a fight.
3. i know this
4. wasn't going to use wild shape outside of using it for recon/spying
>>
>>55178192
What is the OP picture from?
>>
>>55181474
Grimgar Fantasy of Ash. It's an anime about being dirt-farmer-ass adventurers fighting for their lives against goblins. It's really good.
>>
r8 my grapplar
>>
>>55178569
gosh, it's like the DM has a life or something!

if he canceled for a really stupid reason like three times in a row i'd understand, but you're just being a selfish child.
>>
>>55181523
That's a pretty terrible Stone Cold Steve Austin homage. Average charisma, no proficiency, let alone expertise, in intimidation. Dex is really high for Stone Cold too. That's more of a The Rock level of dex.
And what's the single rogue level for? Just gaining a few expertises?
>>
File: IMG_0476.jpg (46KB, 552x304px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0476.jpg
46KB, 552x304px
>playing a neutral good in a party consisting of 2 chaotic evils, a lawful evil, and a true neutral that says he's chaotic good
>dm swears that the campaign is neutrally-aligned and I have nothing to worry about
Should I just ask the dm to kill my character so I can roll up an evil instead?
>>
>>55181523
>Level 1 character
>Solo-defeats a young dragon (the weakest of which is CR6)
You're pretty bad at backstory, bro.
>>
File: Neutral.jpg (50KB, 625x481px) Image search: [Google]
Neutral.jpg
50KB, 625x481px
>>55181593
>Neutral campaign

No such thing to the party. You are either all Neutral-Evil or Neutral-Good. WTF do you even do in a neutral campaign?
>>
>>55178569
I feel your pain.
I tried to raise a group to run a game, and they all flaked.
I tried to raise a second, separate group to run the same game, and 2 of 4 of them just bailed today, when the session was supposed to be tomorrow.
Now I have no time to get new people and, let's be honest, I'm pretty sure the other two are going to flake out too.

I put so much effort into my world design and games, but I never get to run them. Why are people online never able to commit?
>>
>>55181521
We talking Goblin Slayer type shit here?

I can't decide if I like that or not...
>>
Any interesting cleric character ideas?
I want to play a cleric but can't come up with a good character.
>>
>>55181705
Any archetype in mind?

Feel free to steal this one, I had fun with it.
Variant Human
Tempest Cleric
Sailor Background
Tavern Brawler feat.

Be the viking cleric of Thor. Be chaotic good. Be jolly, bearded, enjoy a good fight, a good mead and a hearty laugh with valued companions.
And slam your warhammer down to the ground to Thunderwave the fuck out of your enemies.
>>
File: Satan confirmed.jpg (75KB, 650x560px) Image search: [Google]
Satan confirmed.jpg
75KB, 650x560px
>>55181666
Because you are literally Satan! Nobody is falling for that, Prince of Lies!
>>
>>55181665
Get gold nigga.
>>
>>55179808
The Shou are Forgotten Realms Japanese/Chinese.
He's being a FUKKIN WEEB
>>
>>55180120
>Getting Grungs before Grippli
What the fuck WotC
Grungs were always the evil ones, why aren't Grippli the one we get?
Grippli are way more cute
>>
>>55181259
>not paying for skilled labor
How do you get to this level of retardation?
>>
>>55181750
That's a Neutral-Evil party then because the altruistic paladin or even the robin hood wanna-be is going to get in the way.
>>
>>55181687
No, not edgy.
It's actually a really good show, and very watchable even if anime isn't really your thing.

Basically, it's a grittier and harsher take on the "group or normies fall into a fantasy world that runs on RPG mechanics, become adventurers, and the tuff ones outpace the meeker ones, who struggle to make ends meet."
The story exclusively follows the weaker ones and how they try to go from being practically hobos to being real adventurers. It's a really great depiction of roughly the 1-5 level range or so.
Plus the party manages to have an antipaladin who is not an edgelord which was weird and fun.
>>
>>55181725
It just bothers the hell out of me. People constantly talk about trash DMs in these threads and share cool character ideas and things here, and yet every person I recruit online is a total flake or a total retard
>>
>>55181938
Don't play online then. Go to your local sweaty /tg/ shop and find some games. Many libraries also have DnD nights and shit. You'll have a better time anyway.
>>
>>55181974
There is no such shop.
I just want to play games and make friends, and I enjoy DMing. I don't ask my players to deal with any super autistic rule changes, and I write new worlds up to set the games in so that it's always fresh.
I don't know what to blame for this, I guess. I think I do a pretty good job as a DM, but I can't seem to find players who actually intend to keep a schedule.
>>
>>55181869
A Neutral Evil person wouldn't care if someone gets dicked over as long as they benefit.
A Neutral Good would go out of their way to make sure someone doesn't get dicked over.
A Neutral would try not to dick someone over up until the point where they're getting particularly annoying to deal with. AKA the "you don't fuck with me I don't fuck with you" ideology.
>>
>>55178192
>What was the last town your party stopped at like, and how did you spend your time there?
The last town, whose name escapes me at the moment, was quite nice. I say "was", despite us still being there, due to the fact that since we arrived the mayor has been murdered, at least 32 zombies have been created and are wreaking havoc on the south side of town, two bastards in our group betrayed us, and two very powerful (I suspect 3 levels stronger than we currently are) magically gifted baddies interrogated the party as to the whereabouts of our healer and almost killed us. By the time our group leaves the town it will likely be under siege by the recently united orcish and goblinoid horde who, for reasons currently unknown, are working together despite their gods being very unlikely to do so.

I love my DM and can not wait to see how he unfolds the current mysteries that exist in the setting.
>>
File: curse.jpg (94KB, 709x957px) Image search: [Google]
curse.jpg
94KB, 709x957px
/5eg/ one of my players' characters has been cursed
Help me write a poetic/rhyming curse he'll hear in his dreams to signify exactly what will happen to him.

Pic related is an example of what I mean

For reference, he stole an old Silver/Platinum Ankh from an Egyptian-esque tomb and melted it down, selling its components and left the area. So there's no way he's undoing it.

Therefor, it needs to be something which has a prerequisite for getting rid of the curse which isn't just "RETURN THE SLAB!" or it needs to be a menial enough curse that it's okay if it stays on his character forever.
>>
How do you guys prefer to go about your session 1? In terms of planning, pacing, events, etc.

Our group is comfortable enough with each other, but intros are kinda always a little bit awkward. I'm not sure if I should plan on some proper adventuring or just checking out the local environs.
>>
So, I had an idea for an an initiative style that not only really changes up how the game is played, but doesn't require a new mechanic to be memorized.

It's basically is a dynamic form of initiative that's heavily inspired by the "popcorn initiative" from the Angry DM.

Here's how it goes:

1. Combat starts and everyone rolls initiative like normal (I sometimes group the initiative rolls for various mooks).

2. The person with the highest initiative roll acts first then picks the next character to perform an action. They can pick an ally or a foe.

3. The person they pick performs an action, picks who goes next, etc.

4. Whenever a character takes his action, a token is placed to indicate it (this becomes important).

Now here's where it gets interesting:

5. If a player or monster becomes engaged, BOTH characters can take an action at the same time.

For instance, If the paladin on his turn runs up to strike the goblin, the goblin may decide to dodge OR may also decide to attack. Both will roll to attack and roll damage and HP is subtracted from the goblin first (since it wasn't his initiative). If the goblin dies, his attack is ignored. If the goblin doesn't die, his attack counts (and either is successful or not) at the same time.

6. As mentioned before, both characters who acted would receive a token.

7. When you get to the last person, that person takes an action+/- movement and chooses any of the other combatants to start off the second round of combat.

First, this shit is fun as fuck. It's fast (because you have two characters acting at the same time). It's strategic (yeah, you could pick your friend to go next, but you want to avoid a monster going last otherwise he might pick his monster buddy to start off the next round). It's a little less of the "I hit you, now you hit me" dynamic since both rolls happen at the same time.
>>
>>55182027
Make the friends first and play games with them after. You are never gonna get randos to be your friend this way.
>>
>>55182328
I've playtested it a few times and it's fun as fuck.

It also gives players an opportunity to react to that terrifying creature running up on them, sometimes.

"The goblin chief runs at you, sword raised."
"I haven't used an action this round, so I'll dodge and try to run away." (Dodge and Disengage actions are the same, functionally in this system).

>What about metagaming?

It happens a little, yeah. But not any more than with the typical system.

>What about multiple enemies?
So, this one is sort of up to DM discretion. I rule that attacking an enemy who has already used his action counts as "flanking" (since he's clearly distracted with his foe) and so that attack gets the advantage. This does carry an important caveat though: if a PC that is capable of making multiple attacks rolls to attack both enemies, those enemies do NOT get the advantage. That PC is able to fight off two enemies at once! A third enemy (unless the PC could somehow make three attacks) would absolutely get the flanking bonus though.

What does /tg/ think?
>>
It's not the item that was cursed, but the place. When he stole it, he angered the spirits. In order to remove the curse, he must make the site "whole" by adding something of equal value. However, because it was a crest of a royal emperor (or whatever the fuck) he must also pay tribute by giving up his own power in reverence.

IE, he must give back an attuned magic item of equal or greater value.

The curse? Malaise. Disadvantage on all CHA and CON saving throws, weakness to poison and disease, abilities which normally require a short rest now require a long rest.

"The deed is done, your fate is sealed, make us whole, and we shall yield. Until that day, there will be no rest."

Thatll fucking teach the pilferer.
>>
>>55182392

was for

>>55182306
>>
File: Derp_ca4c4d_981247.gif (370KB, 384x302px) Image search: [Google]
Derp_ca4c4d_981247.gif
370KB, 384x302px
>>55182392
Thanks my guy
>>
File: pianoman.jpg (20KB, 519x422px) Image search: [Google]
pianoman.jpg
20KB, 519x422px
How do I make remembering spells easier for more casual players? I'm dm'ing a game that includes my Dad, and since we only play every weekend or so, he's having trouble keeping track of his cleric spells. Would spell cards solve the problem?
>>
>>55180774
Average IQ of whites is 100. For east asians its about 105 and for africans it ranges from 80-90
>>
>>55182571
In person, spell cards and a simple sheet of scratching off spells (X of Y level 1 spells, A of B level 2 spells, etc.) go a long way for helping remember what spells you have access and how many you have left.
>>
>>55182571
RIP Rich.
>>
File: TOA_Excerpt_Grungv1.pdf (516KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
TOA_Excerpt_Grungv1.pdf
516KB, 1x1px
>>55178192
Tomb of Annihilation goodies from the new Dragon+
>>
File: 314045_CN.jpg (2MB, 1375x950px) Image search: [Google]
314045_CN.jpg
2MB, 1375x950px
>>55182641
>>
File: 314065_CN.jpg (2MB, 1107x1499px) Image search: [Google]
314065_CN.jpg
2MB, 1107x1499px
>>55182653
basically just Isle of Dread
>>
>>55179357
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?420965-Witcher-Class-(WIP)&p=19388260#post19388260

Done and done.
>>
File: TOA_Excerpt_Rasnsiv1.pdf (361KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
TOA_Excerpt_Rasnsiv1.pdf
361KB, 1x1px
>>55182669
>>
File: 314066_CN.jpg (4MB, 1400x1900px) Image search: [Google]
314066_CN.jpg
4MB, 1400x1900px
>>55182681
>>
File: TOA_Excerpt_Batari.pdf (207KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
TOA_Excerpt_Batari.pdf
207KB, 1x1px
>>55182691
>>
>>55178240
>use necromancy on plants and animals
wew
>>
Requesting lost artifacts of greyghast
>>
>>55178625
>>55179529
>>55181532
You don't get it. Canceling the day before ANYTHING when you know you're doing something else way in advance is a dick move.
>>
File: thinking reg.jpg (106KB, 682x728px) Image search: [Google]
thinking reg.jpg
106KB, 682x728px
>>55182641
>The Great Ritual is literally just a skill challenge
>>
File: 1486889945647.jpg (44KB, 442x671px) Image search: [Google]
1486889945647.jpg
44KB, 442x671px
>Tfw trying to be the only not-murderhobo in a party of murderhobos.
>If negotiatons last more than a couple minutes, someone in my fucking party will start a fight.
>>
>>55182681
Do you think he has to effectively take a short rest just to re-attach all those bandages after polymorphing?
>>
File: corgi must choose darkness.jpg (82KB, 530x597px) Image search: [Google]
corgi must choose darkness.jpg
82KB, 530x597px
>>55182905
>a fermenting conflict turns into a parley
>rolls made, points said
>DM begins describing an agreeing enemy to work together or, at the very least, not fuck with each other
>inpatient murderhobo cuts off DM
>"This is boring; I attack them."
>>
I'm having a hard time picking a Wizard School. For those who play Wizards, what are your top picks?
>>
>>55183035
>S Tier
Divination: Luck manipulation is boarderline broken, especially when combined with the Lucky feat.

Abjuration: Being able to shut down enemy magic is insanely useful, and a rechargeable chunk of hitpoints (your ward) is great on a class with a D6 hit dice. Especially at low level. Reminder that Alarm is a Ritual and can be cast without spending slots to charge your ward.

>A Tier
Conjuration: Extra HP on your summons is nice, not having your concentration broken with summons is nice.

>B Tier
Illusion: Once "real" illusions comes online, it can be gamebreaking, but it's super dependent on DM-Fiat and interpretation.

>C Tier
Evocation: Avoiding friendly-fire on your allies is nice. Overchannel is nice too, but takes too long to come online. Overall you're probably better off with a sorcerer's meta-magic though if all you wana do is blast stuff.

>D Tier
Enchanting: You're not a Charisma-based caster and don't have access to Subtle-Spell.

Transmutation: Garbage, everything your Transmuter Stone does can be replicated with feats, spells, or common magical items.

>F Tier
Necromancy: It's nigh-unuseable in most settings due to be considered dark/evil magic. Even if necromancy IS useable in your campaign, the bonuses still suck. 10/10 times you're better off picking Conjuration instead.
>>
File: c-c-can we be friends now.jpg (53KB, 960x631px) Image search: [Google]
c-c-can we be friends now.jpg
53KB, 960x631px
>>55183047
>>
>>55182641
So the players have to craft a convincing and animated love doll for the Grung King to mate with.

And then roleplay successfully the sex

Hmm
>>
>>55183047
Thanks for the fast and helpful reply. I'll look harder into the top three you have there.
>>
>>55178408
I like how Eberron does it.

Gatekeeper Druids maintain the seals keeping the cthulhus out.

Children of Winter (or was that Children of Ash?) druids are crazy luddites that want to very literally demolish civilization.

There are a couple other sects I can't recall off the top of my head but it's pretty good shit.
>>
File: 1498626586326.jpg (55KB, 800x576px) Image search: [Google]
1498626586326.jpg
55KB, 800x576px
>>55182623
Alright, thanks for the tips.
>>55182637
He left humanity behind :(
>>
>>55178240
Yes, the green/black guild from ravnica whose name eludes me
Golgari?
>>
when does wizard get good
im 9th level illusionist and feel practically useless
>>
File: wtf u doin just get out.jpg (79KB, 749x423px) Image search: [Google]
wtf u doin just get out.jpg
79KB, 749x423px
Curse of Strahd spoiler

My party is dealing with the coffinmaker and its vampire spawns. Unfortunately for them they've awakened all of them. Fortunately for them, they've got a plan to get out with St Andral's remains, and set fire to the shop.

I'm not sure how to play this out. The building should burn quite fast considering what it contains and is made of, and the guards/Izek should probably come quite quick.
What else should I do ?
>>
player wants to use the charge feat

how do i buff it to make it decent
>>
>>55183341
Allow it to stack with Extra Attack.
>>
>>55178382
Dopplegangers are awesome. First of all, the players should know there is one, and then you could have your common NPCs sabotage the PCs and act (and literally be) out of place. A commoner with a neat disguise kit or hat could do this too.
>>
>>55178408
Just be a bear wrestler, and save your spell slots for healing yourself up and casting barkskin on your furry ass.
>>
File: kingshaped.jpg (202KB, 760x596px) Image search: [Google]
kingshaped.jpg
202KB, 760x596px
>>55183504
>>
>>55178888
Aren't you the guy who asked which class to play as courtier last week? Anyway, swashbucklers get free benefit-less charisma at a higher level, so that's nice.
>>
>>55179826
Not too interesting, but it's a complicated gnomish invention with a bunch of levers and dials. Once a day, you can make an int DC20 check to allign the dials and levers with the current astrological settings.

On a success, it becomes a magical +1 +1 weapon for the rest of the day.
>>
Got any houserules other than "My players have to say words when they cast somatic spells", because that shit is autisticly retarded.
>>
>>55183591
>somatic
You mean verbal.
>>
>>55183591
I ignore donning/doffing armor, light conditions, difficult terrain, weight, most survival checks, and all multiclassing/racial restrictions.
>>
File: Doppelganger-5e.jpg (45KB, 558x960px) Image search: [Google]
Doppelganger-5e.jpg
45KB, 558x960px
>>55183504
I got separated from the party in some mist a while ago, and was apparently 'wandering lost in it' for a while (read: missed a session).

On my return, I mysteriously re-found the party via DM fiat as you so often do. Everything was all fine and dandy until several hours later when we found an identical copy of my character locked unconscious in a closet of a witch's hut, who promptly tried to flee when awoken.

We captured it, and ended up dragging the imprisoned clone around for several days, before we had the bright idea of shoving the clone into a moonbeam.

...Yeah, turns out the "clone" was the original, and i'd been playing a brainwashed doppelganger for 3 sessions without realizing it. Revealed, the doppelganger nearly murdered Actual Me by pushing me back into the moonbeam, then gapped it out the cave we'd been resting in.

He was never seen again (that we know of), my character was extremely traumatized by the whole experience, and I now have trust issues with the DM.
>>
>>55183535
There's always a relevant Oglaf
>>
>>55178404
V.human with spear mastery feat, 11 battle master / 9 UA ranger.
>>
>>55183604
Same. We also got rid of inspiration bonus in lieu of a lucky stat, where the modifier is allowed to reroll per session.

Another house rule is dimension door doesn't actually create a door. You can be bound and use it, as it's just a V component.
>>
>>55180375
assuming every commoner rolls 3d6 for their int scores, you can correlate int to IQ and 6 INT corresponds to 75 IQ
>>
>>55183303
Great question, as a player of CoS, we actually won that fight and put out all fires.
>>
>>55183953
What level were you? My players are 4 lvl4. They will get positively destroyed by this encounter, it's great.
>>
>>55180836
Spells will always drop during rage because you can't maintain concentration in rage.
>>
>>55181430
Problem ends up being you lose reactive casting, unless you drop in and out of rage a lot. You can cast buffs that just persist, but they don't tend to be as powerful.
>>
>>55183976
Around level 6 I think? We had a wild magic sorc, evocation wiz, arcane archer fighter and a tempest cleric. We did get hurt a fuck load, and the wiz almost died, but still pulled it out.
>>
File: 1398632866398.jpg (101KB, 1575x795px) Image search: [Google]
1398632866398.jpg
101KB, 1575x795px
>>55183286
One day I may, be as big as him.
Also it keep it thread related. I'm DMing SKT and I feel like some of the traps in Chapter 4 are completely BS. Should I keep them as is or change them?
>>
>>55182884
I'm with you. My group has been doing this for what... the sixth or seventh time in a row? Always at the last minute, literally. I don't even bother asking anymore if it's going to happen. Our group chat is dead, even.
I'm tired of online, so tomorrow I'm going to one of those RPG places to see if I can find a weekend group. I don't care if they are all smelly fat neckbeards, I just wanna be autistic and play D&D with real dice and miniatures and sketch scenes and characters while I play. I don't even care if I'm indirectly dumping my friends, they don't give a shit either way.
How rude do you have to be to cancel just an hour before it happens with something you knew was gonna happen all week long? Cunts.
>>
>>55181277
You mean Salsa.
>>
>>55181665
You go out to conquer an evil or good force that has personally offended you and your loved ones.
>>
>>55183047
How do we fix the necromancer, and still stay reasonably within the rules?

Just Warlock multiclassing?
>>
>>55181665
>WTF do you even do in a neutral campaign?
Current objective: Survive.
>>
>>55181665
The dishes.
>>
Does anyone have battlemaps for an encounter with an interesting balance of water and ground terrain?
posting pictures for relevance.
>>
>>55182675
Thank you, I had fun in witcher 3 and this seems like it'll be fun too
>>
I want to play some minecraft with the new sandbox campaign. Is Transmutation Wizard good for this? Shape Water and Mold Earth as cantrip?
>>
>>55183047
> Abjuration
> spending time casting alarm to restore ward hp

Yeah, your party would enjoy all the whining and to wait 40-50 minutes aftef every combat for one person.

> Enchanting
Its key ability doesnt eat your concentration slot. You can control 2 enemies at once.

> Transmuration
> He doesn't know how to abuse minor Alchemy.
> Free choosable magic item isnt a good thing

Protip: There are several type of wood and stone, each with its own property.
>>
>>55183047
Played a campaign without any powergamers. Didn't last, because the DM went (clinically) nuts. I played a gnome transmutation wizard and steered the DMPC (arcane fighter) in combat. Had a monk, ranger, minotaurbarb, and evil cleric.

My Gnomewiz enjoyed tinkering, and the campaign was built around the initial creation of the Warforged, and was very artificing/tinkering/clockwork-heavy. Had the group lasted, my goal was to expand on my tinkering and instill actual life into tiny clockwork creations. Transmutation orb was just to make up for my footspeed. If I ever overcame it myself, I would have handed it out like a buff to someone that needed elemental resistance, nightvision, whatever.

I had fun with it.
>>
>>55179868
I cant remember ever stopping a campaign pre- 18.
>>
>>55181135
>My turn? Okay, leys see... what is it my abilities does? Anyone has a PHB I can burrow? Also a spell compendium, if I want to consider that.
>>
>>55183047
>Transmutation
>D tier.

Nigger, what? Unless you mean /d/ tier as in "awesome", then you are flat out wrong.

And probably a shitty wizard for not being smart enough to use it properly.
>>
Lore Bard with magic initiate Warlock for Eldritch Blast and Hex? I just want something to do in combat instead of Vicious Mockery.
>>
>>55185512
Bardic Inspiration?
>>
>>55185556
Keep them for cutting words?
>>
>>55179352

I think you should grab more low level spells possibly. Maybe an extra level 2.
>>
>Sentinel GWM polearm rogue with warcaster and booming blade

I need ways, ways of getting advantage!
>>
why Rogue? You can't sneak attack with polearm.
>>
>>55180120
>>55181130

That 2d4 per ranged weapon attack is ridiculously good I think. Once you get to level 4 and your party magic caster can create big volumes of water the exhaustion effect becomes manageable too.

Just off the top of my head.
>>
>>55185659
>2d4 damage
>have to fail dc 12 con save
>poison damage
It's shit, it's fucking shit at high levels
>>
>>55180120
where'd you find the surrogate characters?
>>
>>55185786

I guess it's true that it doesn't scale well, but I think it's still a pretty good racial.
>>
What are some neat things I can do with a grappling hook as a thief? Is it useless if I dumped Str?
>>
If I take expertise in perception and have a 16 wisdom (for a +7) does that make my passive perception a 17? Also, if the dm wants you to roll a perception check can you choose to use your passive number?
>>
>>55183633
That's pretty good
>>
>>55186161
Yes.
No. It's DM called whether to use passive perception. It's a tool that DM can use to reduce the amount of rolls on the table.
>>
what's a quick underwater event that I can use to foreshadow an aboleth at the bottom of Lake Zarovich?
>>
>>55186305
Cool beans, I appreciate it man
>>
Looking for a clarification on Battlerager for one of my party members.

"While wearing spiked armor and are raging, you can use a bonus action to make one melee weapon attack with your armor spikes against a target within 5 feet of you. If the attack hits, the spikes deal 1d4 piercing damage, plus your Strength modifier."

So does this mean its 1d4 + Str mod or 1d4 + Str mod + Rage damage?
>>
Would tempest cleric with whip and spell sniper (booming blade) be any fun?

Should I go with Dex-build or Str-build?
>>
I'm doing a thief/deepstalker MC for s bullshit campaign my dad is running, I'm thinking of going 8 ranger 12 rogue assuming we go to 20. So far I took my first level of rogue and my second of ranger, my question is what should I do now? Should I rush to ranger 3 or rogue 3 for my archetype or go to ranger 5 for extra attack? I'm thinking of going with the dueling style to keep a free hand for tossing oil/acid/ grappling hooks etc. Any help is greatly appreciated lads
>>
>>55182691
Okay so basically Tomb of Annihilation is what happens when you blend Isle Of Dread, Dwellers of the Forbidden City and Tomb of Horrors together?
>>
>>55186660

Extra attack seems like it's worth a rush.
>>
So I got this idea from reddit, but what do you think of having silver be the standard currency, rather than gold?
Currently it's:
100 copper = 10 silver = 1 gold

And the problem is that gold feels mundane, you have to throw 1000s of gold in front of adventurers before they give a shit.

So the proposed changed would be:
10,000 copper = 100 silver = 1 gold
Copper is worth the same, silver replaces gold, and gold is moved up in value. This makes even just a bit of gold much more worth it to the party.

For example, with the silver standard Full Plate Armor would be 1,500 sp or 15 gp.
>>
>>55187218
Holy shit, I have this problem in my table and DO NOT DO IT, I SWEAR TO GOD THIS IS FUCKTARDED

First of all, a gold piece is already not a thing made of gold, it's at best, gold washed. So already this theory of yours does not hold

Aditionally, it makes everything in the world ass hard retarded for no reasons.
Think of the spells for material components, think of common costs, think of everything, and you'll find a common problem

Thinking. You'll add artificial bullshit to the game for the grand purpose of always converting shit in the back of your mind for the exact same thing anyway

Aditionally , the same way hit points aren't meat points, 1000 gp are already not literally a thousand coins of gold. They'll be gems, notes of credit and an assortment of items that will grand total for that which in the merchant vernacular is meant by "piece of gold"

Aint nobody carting aronud three wheelbarrows of cash to the king's doorstep in exchange for a castle nigga.

So why, oh why, oh why would anyone bother to add on this layer of complicated redardedingness in exchange for LITERALLY NOTHING
>>
>>55187170
That sounds like a good idea, thanks m8
>>
>>55186556
It's a melee weapon attack using Strength, so you add your rage damage bonus.
>>
Is Mountain Dwarf Wizard legit? Medium armor seems too good to pass.

Going to be Divination Wizard btw.
>>
>>55187457
It is, but I guarantee you someone here will give you shit for not having an racial Int bonus.
>>
>>55187355
My DM got someone to plant this god awful seed of autism in his brain, and god how he was marveled at the SHEER GENIUS of him inventing his own Currency

Every time we got loot, "oh you find a gem worth 5 gold crowns, and statue worth, erg, 2 gold and 3 silver crowns,"

"Oh but I need about 25 gold worth of silver in order to make some holy water"
"Herp, you can't, you have no idea how much silver is there in a silver crown"
"What?"
"YOU CAN'T, REEEEEEEE"
>>
>>55187530
There's nothing wrong with making your own currency, but you have to be clear about what it is.

Your PC's have lived in this world for (sometimes) hundreds of years already. They'd know how money works.
>>
Page 10! New thread! Quick!
>>
If you choose humanoids for your favored enemy as a revised ranger, do you have to choose a subsect as well? Do alot of DMS consider it cheesy that that gain those benefits to so many different creatures?
>>
>>55187917
>do you have to choose a subsect as well?
Literally just read it.
>>
>>55178192
Question for anyone who has used Mercer's Blood Hunter class, if you are a Profane Soul Blood Hunter and multiclass into Warlock what is your spellcasting modifier for your spells?
>>
>>55187970
I have, I know you aren't required to, but it is considered op to get those bonuses for all humanoids?
>>
>>55187917
I have never met a GM who allowed "Humanoids" as an option.

Of course, most GMs I have played with, have actively punished these kinds of "super munchkin" options, and rewarded less optimal choices. It is not uncommon to see a GM completely derail a campain to barely ever include humanoid enemies because of that choice. And then, when someone picks something like Gaints, they practically throws us into giant territory.

I kinda like it. Like SS/GWM never getting a magic weapon, but the Charger user getting a ton of things that helps this option shine. It discourages faggots from just going for the usual "best" options, and eventually makes people stop using online guides for their """optimal"""" builds.
>>
>>55187637
It's ass retarded. It's like having a fine course made for you and asking for the ketchup
>>
>>55188113
There's nothing wrong with picking humanoids, it was changed to be that way so you didn't pick Orcs then get shafted when your DM never introduces Orcs into their game. It's a defining class trait it's supposed to be useful without you having to pry info out of the DAM at level 1
Thread posts: 350
Thread images: 47

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.