[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 478
Thread images: 44

>Unearthed Arcana: Three-Pillar Experience
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-ThreePillarXP.pdf

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Alternate Trove:
https://dnd.rem.uz/5e%20D%26D%20Books/

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread:
>>55164079

What's the best dungeon you've ever experienced? What made it great?
>>
File: Wendigo1.jpg (55KB, 500x665px) Image search: [Google]
Wendigo1.jpg
55KB, 500x665px
How would you stat a wendigo?
>>
>>55168055
I finished up Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan and I had a blast running it. Unfortunately the players missed a lot of stuff in their fervor to escape the poisonous gas.

Sunless Citadel is still on top though. That shit's a timeless classic.
>>
File: goots3.png (314KB, 450x500px) Image search: [Google]
goots3.png
314KB, 450x500px
>>55168055
>What's the best dungeon you've ever experienced? What made it great?

An adamantine mountain dungeon. The thing was hollowed out by Drow and a Dracolich. We went inside to destroy its phylactery. Turns out there were a fuck ton of rigged statues and glyphs. Who woulda thunk it?

Anyway, every 50 or so feet further, the air would get colder and colder before slowly becoming shitty to powerful ice breath every round. We had to devise a solution to this cave spitting ice breath at us every couple seconds. So my cleric just bought an extraplanar friend and he scooted us through.

The center of the mountain near the top was the phylactery, underneath a swirling maelstrom of ice. Inside was a beating heart with the box inside, defended by a Yochlol.
>>
It's interesting that Glyph of Warding needn't be harmful according to the new errata, meaning you could do some crazy shit with it, especially if you can set up multiple over a long period of time.
>>
Hahaha, cucks. I finally got my DM to agree to do another system. In 2 months time we're gonna be playing Torchbearer, and I'll finally be free of 5e forever.
>>
>>55168086
I'd start with a lycanthropes hybrid form and adjust from there.
Cold immunity for sure.
You can have it be human sized, or grow as it eats. Both have basis in cultural lore, although i personally find the ever-hungry nature of a Wendigo that grows proportionally to its meals to be an interesting aspect.

You can also go the entirely spiritual route, where they are basically cannibal ghosts that possess and mutate people.
>>
>>55168143
>i finally got my dm to do another system
>i am free

you could've been free whenever and you know it
>>
>>55168055
>GM
Modified version of death frost doom. Lots of weird arcane tech, and mysteries. Deadly slime that was so big that it became a moving obstacle in the dungeon. A lot of the various devices and mysteries were connected, so the players lulled the slime into a slumber with a religious instrument.
I also made it so the souls of the dead were connected to the slime, so upon killing the slime they had released the undead above the dungeon and in the walls.

>player
Some kind of khemrian warhammer dungeon. Lots of traps and some actual magical items, which was pretty cool. (Like a bow with range: sight), a set of plate that didn't weight anything).
>>
>>55168055
>What's the best dungeon you've ever experienced? What made it great?
It was basically Andy's room from Toy Story in a Giant settlement. All the enemies and traps were toys, most more antiquated than the ones in the movie. Giant kid wasn't home but the party insisted on finding the giant mom when she happened to be showering. Wizard and warlock worked together to get her to drop her towel and give us a lifetime of eyefuls. Rogue ensured she stepped on a toy block in pursuit of us to let us escape.
>>
>>55168147
>i personally find the ever-hungry nature of a Wendigo that grows proportionally to its meals to be an interesting aspect.
Ooh that'd be cool. Wendigo becomes more powerful as it devours more. Maybe they're something fairly weak, like CR1/2, until they eat something. But then it takes two people, then four, then eight, and then it just keeps doubling, with the creature getting more and more powerful as it's left alone to feed.
>>
>>55168074
You can't attack using the same action, the bonus action from CBE is ok, so is Action Surge's.
https://www.sageadvice.eu/2016/09/09/can-i-attack-with-the-net-and-then-the-hand-crossbow-on-the-same-turn/

As I said earlier
>It's a common item that grants the restrained condition on a hit
>No saving throw
>Wastes a creature's turn to get out
If it hadn't any drawbacks, everyone would use it. Wanting it to be better is wishful thinking.

>I also think it's kind of fair to be able to attack when a Lunar Druid can transform into a constrictor snake and restrain with a higher DC for free on an attack roll that does damage. And then the druid can still turn into a bear later and do other more useful shit when they're not doing that
You're comparing Wild Shape to a Net.
>>
How does this sound as thd start of the campaign?

> Party wake up in a tavern, meet masked being who calls himself judgement
>Tells the party they died together, and he's not sure why
>Points out small ethereal scar on their bodies, says that many people have bden ariving with them, and that each time they seem worse
>Agrees to resurrect them in exchange they figure out what's been causing the scars upon spirits.
>>
>>55168246
I'd put them just about anywhere else that's not a tavern. It's solid otherwise, though.
>>
>>55168264

It's less of a tavern and more of a very fancy bar really, it's sort of a place between worlds that lies within the Noosphere.
>>
>>55168246
Better idea: party wakes up literally anywhere that's not a tavern with strange scars unsure of what happened and need to piece together their last nights. Give each of them definite clues of what happened and let them figure out that:
- they were all killed
- other people have died similarly with similar scars
- they're the only ones who weren't

And only then consider introducing some skeleton in all black carrying a farming implement.
>>
>>55168280
Hmm, yeah, I'm digging that aesthetic, the best between worlds places are fancy bars and train stations/trains themselves.
>>
>>55168286

He's a bartender, not the grim reaper.
>>
File: 1504250011455.png (69KB, 548x1365px) Image search: [Google]
1504250011455.png
69KB, 548x1365px
How true are the numbers in pic related?
>>
>>55168319
It has undefined variables, so accuracy is irrelevant.
>>
>>55166073
Reposting from old thread.
>>
>>55168335
So basically it's full of shit.
>>
>>55168532
2x damage is too far and might just kill the party with a spell that rolls high
Rotating buffs sound fun
>>
Mindflayer PC race when?
>>
Divination Wizard seems fun, but I'm worry about party healing. Is Healer feat enough to get us through? 1d6+4+level per short rest seems like an okay healing out-of-combat.
>>
>>55168697
It would be really helpful if you told us anything about the party
>>
>>55168697
It's good if you can constantly get new heal packs, otherwise it's shit
There's probably a better feat for you, tell us about the party so we can truly judge
>>
>>55168214
There is one way to do it with your reaction, though.
>Have sentinel feat
>Throw it on an enemy with slash damage
>Enemy makes attack to destroy your net
>It is within 5 feet and making an attack on a target other than you
>opportunity attack

My point about the druid is if they can use a bonus action to gain temporary health and gain an attack that does damage and restrains on one attack roll in the same turn, why shouldn't a martial be able to throw a net if they have dual wielder and their character is built almost exclusively around this tactic? If it requires a feat same as CBE to do it why not? Then not everyone can use it.
It still has the drawback that you can only use that net once, and you'd have to use an action to pick it back up or pull out a new one.

>No saving throw
Because you have to make an attack roll. Not only that, but it's a ranged weapon with a 5 normal range. So let me get this straight. they made a ranged weapon where you can only attack with disadvantage, unless you have some advantage effect to cancel it out, or CBE feat? Makes it sounds like you should only ever use one if you have CBE to begin with, otherwise you will waste your turn 50% of the time due to disadvantage. At that point you would be using the handcrossbow anyways.

If there's already a legal way to use the net and attack in the same turn, why is Net even classified as a ranged weapon? If it's not considered two handed, and it's supposedly possible to effectively net someone with a one handed toss, why aren't you able to swing the net onto someone as a restraining grapple while still holding onto it?
IMO it just makes more sense that it should be a martial melee with thrown rather than a ranged weapon with 5 normal range.
>>
so how would you guys implement a "multiple identity" mechanic. Like, just a bipolar one, jekyl/hyde, switching in between two character sheets, basically
>>
If i stab with a shortsword is it still slashing damage?
>>
>>55168822
I wouldn't but if I had to. At the end of a long rest roll a d20 odds is one personality and the other is evens. Keep the classes at least a little similar.
>>
What is the most versatile and useful class at level one if you don't know what kind of equipment you'll have access to (if any)? I was thinking Sorcerer maybe but I've never played them so I could be wrong.
>>
>>55168853
Wiz or Bard
>>
>>55168833
Shortsword already do piercing damage though.

That feel when dagger and shortsword can't cut net but a whip can.
>>
>>55168849
It's between a paladin and a fighter, so at least they are similar.

I don't like the pure 1d20 randomnes tho.
>>
>>55168706
>>55168743
Fighter, Sorcerer and Swashbuckler.
>>
>>55168743
> He doesn't buy 20 Healer's Kit after the first adventure.
>>
One encounter I've wanted to do was sort of a immobile construct that's keeping 8 platforms afloat, and as a lair action it causes a random platform (1d8) to shake and deal damage to people standing on it.
>>
>>55168900
Could you work with your DM to work out some kind of direct stimulus for the transformation? Something like:
>If X happens, make Y check, and the roll decides if A or B happens.
or
>When condition X is fulfilled, transform
That way you have a certain degree of control over it so that you can proactively attempt to avoid a poorly timed transformation. Maybe you don't want to have control over it though, I dunno.
>>
I'm thinking of making up homebrew rules for upgrading home base, and having it require resources and give benefits to downtime activities, like a better workshop would make crafting cheaper and faster, a better business would earn you more money.
>>
>>55168822

This is possibly one of the worst ideas anyone could have for a PC.
Most people can't fucking roleplay one person.
Consider this:
When you make a character, you're participating in a game with other people, so the type of character you make must also be entertaining to everyone else.
>>
>>55168822
Barbarian. Your "Rage" is your second personality assuming control of your body. The mechanics might not strictly follow what you want to do, but just RP the different personality by making different tactical choices in combat and stuff.
>>
>>55168900
I'm assuming you still want to have it semi-random, but obviously you are trying to avoid a situation where you could potentially roll evens or odds every time in that scenario and have them overstay their welcome.

What exactly is the context? Would they be aware of each other? I feel like the stimulus idea from other anon isn't that great. That pretty much guarantees it will never happen randomly.

If what you want is to toggle regularly, but without control, I think it would make a lot of sense to roll a 1d4 or something and say they switch after that many days or w/e period of time you're going for. This also helps if they are aware of each other. Paladin may feel the chaotic fighter starting to slowly take over, and take precautions to ensure nothing crazy happens. If it happens in one day maybe he doesn't have time to prevent anything. When the fighter feels he is going to change back, he might want to exercise control over their lives by putting the paladin in a compromising position he has to deal with when he takes back over. Of course, this roll gives forsight for when the transformation takes place. If they are not aware of each other, then it doesn't make sense as you shouldn't know when it will happen.

Another idea would be to roll a percentile, and if it falls in a certain range the change happens. Then every set period of time that you roll it, increase the range by a set increment. This way you would eventually have a 100% chance that you would switch, but it would still keep some randomness.

>>55168958
seems like an interesting idea to me. Easier to make two generic opposed personalities with a fun gimmick than one genuinely interesting one.
>>
>>55169074
The timer seems a little more apropriate.

They are aware of each other, more or less. We're dealing with a Shadow of Mordor situation here.
>>
>>55169098
I also think the timer helps because it gives the DM notice and creates opportunities to use it for or against you at their discretion since they create the timeline of events, while not making them in complete control of it. You and DM could also hide the roll from the others so they don't know when you'll change unless your character roleplays the info to them.

this seems obvious but if they are the similar alignments it probably will not be interesting at all.
>>
>>55168822
I would NOT implement that. Just multiclass and restrict yourself to use stuff/skills only from one at a time.

Alternatively, the guy with the barbarian rage has a nice idea. Just RP different personalities. It doesn't have to be restricted to barbarian rage. A druid could go "a bit deeper" than others in wild shape and become a bit of a beast in their mind too, which alters their personality.
>>
>>55169259
>I would NOT implement that. Just multiclass and restrict yourself to use stuff/skills only from one at a time.

I had this strategy tried in a group a couple of years ago, and it was terrible, and two paralel charactersheets became an inevitable option everyone at the table eventualy gravitated towards.

One of the many drawbacks of this strategy, is that you're basically playing a character at half progression at any time. At some point, you'll be the guy playing a level 3 paladin in a level 7 party.
>>
>>55169385
Works out OK if they are both casters.
>>
>>55169385
Well, it depends on how you see the underlying idea of split-personalities.

To me, it makes a lot more sense that the split is literally 'in the head' and even though characters think they are separate, deep down they are in the same brain and therefore are wired together. This expresses in a share of experience, even though parts of it, including half of episodic memory, are not available to the respective other half.

Of course, your idea of split personality could be more magical and they're literally two in one body, completely split including brain. This could also mean two souls and that again could be interesting for pacts with devils. What happens if one soul is ripped out but the one sustains the body?

I was leaning towards the first case since >>55168822 mentioned Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde and those shared (most of) their memory.
>>
>>55168055
This looks less like a fight and more like frolicking through the bog with your unfortunately savage-looking bestie. Like, they're in the middle of a spa day and they've been keeping it together the whole time but now all the attendants have left the room and they're going "eeeee" over how excited they are.
>>
Anything about clerics I should know about? What is the best domain?
>>
>>55169586

Life's good for healer

War's good for being a martial while keeping everything else.

Light's good for being a blaster, tempest's OK at doing that too.

If UA is allowed (This one is almost certainly going to be in Xanthars since eveyone loved it) then Forge cleric makes an amazing tank.

just don't go trickery domain.
>>
Rate my backstory for a Red dragonborn:

>Born and raised among his own kind.
>Bred and raised for war
>grown up with an addiction for satisfying that itch, that kept craving blood and violence, like his fellow kin.
>One day cower from a fight. It was a battle where his tribe was raiding a town of 600 people. Little resistance, the fight was more a massacre than an actual battle
>He ran, with no other goal than to find a place where he could avoid the constant need to shed blood.
>Finally found a priest in the road, who spoke of a small monastery, who would be able to help sate his endless anger and hunger for blood.
>Finds the monastery. It is run by humans, and is devoted to a Dragon called Tamara.
>there he grows to control his emotions, and reins in his tendencies for evil and chaotic actions.
>At the end of his stay, he leaves as a changed man. He is a calm and quiet individual, and hopes to spread the word of the God that welcomed him, despite his past, and hopes to help others in a similar situation. There is always hope. There is always light.
>But the sight of a Red Dragon or a Red dragonborn, will forever be mired - They spark his old anger and fury, and he will struggle to keep calm if they do not show remorse for their actions.

Good/bad? Too much/little?

The idea is to go for a very defensively built paladin of Ancients (feels more appropriate than Devotion to me), who carries a shield with the sign of Tamara. Generally avoids fighting unless he has to.

I am almost tempted to dip into barbarian just for the rage ability, but it sounds like a pretty terrible idea, even if it is fitting for the character.
>>
>>55169700
Most dragonborn aren't divided into colors like that. They're mixed breed, some red-brown or yellow color, and breathe whatever.
>>
>>55168876
They need spellbooks and/or foci. I can't count on having either. Cleric could work if I could create a Holy Symbol from scratch.
>>
>>55169535
It is two souls, yes
>>
>>55169700
>a Dragon called Tamara
kek, is there a real life story to this?

>dip into barbarian
That could mean that he embraces the violent tendency at least a bit, which kind of negates his character. It would be cool though if he dips in one level but vows to never use the rage ability, since he's better now. In a dire situation, he breaks the vow. Sounds cool.

>>55169758
Might be according to his DM's rules. But you're right, he should probably talk about that.
>>
>>55169758
GM has a mostly similar world to the standard setting, but there dragons have clear divides.

>>55169802
>kek, is there a real life story to this?
Nah, just regular good old Tamara.

Seemed like a fitting choice for a "redeemed" dragonborn.

>>dip into barbarian
>That could mean that he embraces the violent tendency at least a bit, which kind of negates his character. It would be cool though if he dips in one level but vows to never use the rage ability, since he's better now. In a dire situation, he breaks the vow. Sounds cool.
Yeah that's more or less the idea. It would primarily be used in combat with red dragons or dragonborn.

We are running Hoard of the Dragon queen, so I expect it to come up fairly often.
>>
>>55169758
Schlomo pls
>>
>>55168822
I wouldn't
>>
>tfw you'll never play a lv17 open hand monk and omae wa mo shindeiru people
>>
3 days until new UA. Will it be shit again, or will mearls finally take the hint that nobody likes his dumb variant rules that only worsen the problems they're supposed to fix?
>>
>>55169996
Will the wait for food & provisions finally be over?
>>
File: 1497146458531.jpg (32KB, 350x490px) Image search: [Google]
1497146458531.jpg
32KB, 350x490px
>>55169996
Crossing fingers for Food & Provisions
>>
File: 1500330351218.png (82KB, 217x256px) Image search: [Google]
1500330351218.png
82KB, 217x256px
>>55169996
Variant Variant Encumbrance inbound
>>
>>55170025
Variant spellpoint system but only for wizards.
>>
Is it worth taking crossbow expert as Valor Bard? I mean... swift quiver also use bonus action.
>>
>>55169996
>new UA
>on labor day
lol are you kidding me? It's coming out the week afterwards
Hope you enjoy Forgotten Realms Initiative system
>>
>>55169996
I unironically hope it's about food and maybe exhaustion.
>>
>>55170077
>Forgotten Realms Initiative system
Everybody acts at once and the DM tries to retcon the clusterfuck into something manageable?
>>
File: image.jpg (84KB, 500x749px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
84KB, 500x749px
Where were you when you realized warlocks were just magical girls?
>>
File: 1430101554709.jpg (177KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1430101554709.jpg
177KB, 1920x1080px
>>55170158
Aren't Paladins more at risk of being fucked over than Warlocks are?
>>
>>55170238
Yeah but Pallys don't make contracts.
>>
>>55170158
Right where I'm sitting now. When did you realize that they also covered http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0158552 ?
>>
File: 1360448707913.png (221KB, 1000x700px) Image search: [Google]
1360448707913.png
221KB, 1000x700px
>>55170158
>>55170238
>>
Is there a tool to randomly generate the spells an NPC spellcaster would have prepared?
>>
We're the 3 Charisma full-casters just a way to get more Pathfinder faggots to switch since they have so many options to do damage AND "roll to seduce" every time they're in town?

(Side note, why does INT seem like such a dump stat. Only Wizard really needs it at all and I'm not accounting for the fighter and rogue archetypes that let you cast a few spells)
>>
>>55170367
The key is to have a DM that allows you to use different stats for things like persuasion if you can justify it
>>
>>55170312
Get out Paladin
YOU'RE DEAD
you don't exist
>>
>>55170387
Yeah asking the barbarian to roll CHA to intimidate always rubbed me the wrong way
>>
>>55170417
Would some pizza faced stuttering barbarian scare you even if they had huge muscles
>>
>>55170430
>Not treading lightly around an autistic muscletard
Your funeral m8
>>
>>55170430
Could they tear me in half like I was made of soggy Kleenex?
>>
>>55170367
>We're
Faggot.

Also, I assume the feel is supposed to reflect the powers manifestation.

A Warlock made a contract with a higher being, and gets the power because this entity gives a shit in some way. It would if you had 8 charisma.

Sorcerer only makes sense from the "charisma is your presence, and your presence gives you power, courtesy of your innate magical powers" point of view. I think it is fine to let it stay there, mostly because sorcerers are not necessarily book smart (their entire point is not being bookworms like wizards), and wisdom would not fit at all. So charisma is the most logical choice, really. Maybe con, but con as a casting stat is stupid as fuck.

Bards are literally using their voice and instruments to power their abilities. It would have made no sense to use anything else.

Warlocks feels like a class that should have a malleable choice. My GM let me play an Int Warlock once, becauae I picked tome, and asked if I could switch my stat to INT instead of CHA. No real mechanical reason, other than invisioning the character as a more quiet and introverted individual, who had book smarts, but no people skills. I could see a Warlock based on Strength as well, as a "I give you power as long as remain strong." Pact, similar to the charisma explanation, but with Blade instead.
>>
>>55170367
>We're
Is that the royal We?
>>
>>55168822
That's not what bipolar is.
>>
>>55168055
I recently ran Sunless Citadel and really enjoyed it
>>
>>55170447
But I am the autistic muscletard anon
>>
>>55170367
>Side note, why does INT seem like such a dump stat.
That's because most DMs and players use perception too often instead of investigation. They also neglect the other INT checks (history, religion, arcana, nature) which possibly happens because the splitting is to be described as something between "odd" and "retarded".

Other int checks, which arguably are much more needed are shoved into "additional" checks and have no extra skill attached, even though adventurers would benefit a lot from them. To me, "Appraisal", "Non-verbal communication" and "disguise" are more important than having an extra check for religion or nature. Most nature checks will be substituted by survival anyway since no one bothers to skill that. Same with Religion. Good luck arguing that history isn't good enough for that.
>>
>>55170367
He can't roll to seduce. DM are the one who ask for roll to happen, player can't initiate their own roll.
>>
>>55168853
Still spell caster. Lots of spell have no material component or easy to access component.
>>
>>55170673
Pedant
>>
Running my first ever game next week and I was looking at traps in the DMG. Let's say little gobblos make a pit trap in the middle of the road for my adventurers to fall into. The DMG says simple traps with a tarp and some leaves/dirt to hide it has a DC 10 to spot. Now... passive perception is 10 + wis mod, so unless ALL my players decide to dump wis to a -1, they're 100% guarantee to spot it.

How do you guys run this? If any member of your party has a 10+ passive perception, that means they will always 100% reliably find simple pit traps like this with no rolls? I know DC 10 is easy, but I'd like to play it so there's some chance/some randomness, even if the party has good perception. How would I do this?
>>
>>55170961
>wanting your party to fall in a hole
Murder DM please go
>>
Is making a Monk/Paladin viable? The idea just popped into my head, so I haven't dove in to look at all the possibilities, but I figured I'd ask here first so someone may be able to point me in a direction to start looking.
>>
>>55170992
Its a MAD idea but you might be able to make it work
>>
>>55170961
Consider using fog or any other kind of low visibility to put their perception rolls at disadvantage, including their passive perception.
>>
>>55170989
I was thinking a goblin trap to break/stop caravans so they can attack and steal loot, doesn't need to be a 12' deep murder pit.

So either they spot the trap, then if they go "oh shit it's an ambush" and roll perception vs. the goblin's stealth. Very high chance to spot the gobblos before the ambush. If they don't spot the trap, surprise the caravan is fucked + surprise the gobblos attack.

It's a lvl 1 party of mostly TTRPG noobs, I just want to make it interesting and more random than 100% chance to spot the trap automatically.
>>
>>55170961
You could argue that a simple trap in the middle of the road is easy to spot by anyone because it looks slightly out of place. Slightly obscured area (a bit dark, fog, rain) and it's disadvantage for -5 to passive perception.

By the way I frequenty just ask the person with highest perception bonus in the party to roll instead of taking passive score.
>>
>>55170881
He's completely right and it's a pretty important rule as well.
>>
Any ideas on making initiative better? I feel like the current system is clunky.
>>
So we had a discussion last session about spell casting, and how "subtle" you could do it.

A wizard wanted to cast sleep without being seen doing ir until it was too late. He was trying to wave his arms around while talking, in order to "get away with it".

GM ruled no. That was an exclusive right for sorcerers with subtle meta magic. Seemed reasonable enough.

But then the Bard chimes in, and says his Vicious Mockery is an exception. It only has a verbal component, and states it can be cast as:"laced in insults", which implies the recipient doesn't necessarily know the bars is casting a spell.

Our GM disagreed. He said that anyone who is keeping an eye on a spell caster will always know, no questions asked, if he or she is about to cast a spell. Always.

The absolute only exception, is meta magic.

Does this sound right? I cant remember if any other spell has a aubtle component to it, but I have always thought vicious mockery was intended to be used in a far more stealthy manner. I can see the potential for abuse in a social situation, but this is a BARD, they are built around abusing social situations.

And then I thought of the Shadow Monks abilities. It casts them without a material component, but I really cant imagine a monk casting these spells like a wizard would.

Any thoughts on this? How would you rule it, and what would your reasoning be?
>>
>>55170992
>Requires:
>Dex to utilize anything you get from being a monk
>Wis to get any use of most of your monk abilities
>Cha to get enough use out of your paladin abilities
>Con to not die in melee.
If you roll for stats and roll high, sure.

With point buy? No.
>>
>>55171042
>>55171075

Thanks! I'll make a note of the party's highest perception bonus and roll behind the DM screen, a DC 10 shouldn't cause issues unless I roll garbage, then it's like "oh you guys were in the middle of a conversation, were slightly distracted and no one spotted this"
>>
>>55171094
I agree with your GM, I also rule it this way, just that there's one more exception: creatures/people so ignorant about magic that they don't realize. Casting spells is easily recognized by most, though.

The reasoning is: Fuck you, don't cast spells in social situations.
>>
>>55171180
Not even charms, makes it so much easier
>>
>>55170103
Underrated post
>>
>>55171180
>The reasoning is: Fuck you, don't cast spells in social situations.
Unless you are a sorcerer?

The GM was mostly an asshat in my opinion bevause he ruled that wolves would know you were casting a spell. I am not a caster (monk, and likely taking open hand, so I dont really care), but the discussion just felt off to me. Especially the vicious mockery part.
>>
File: 1393591273507.jpg (176KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1393591273507.jpg
176KB, 800x600px
>>55171094
Just depends on your DM I guess. I wanted to cast Hunter's Mark on a guy so I could have advantage on tracking him down later (unfinished business). I asked if I could play it off as an insult, like swearing at him in a foreign language. DM said that was allgood, NPC asked what I just called him, I said it was Elvish for suck my dick cunt, and I rolled a deception check with advantage. ezpz.

So I guess it's situational. If someone can be reasonably expected to be able to recognize magic then that shit ain't gonna fly. But against dumb peasants or street thugs with 6 INT or whatever? Sure, you can get away with it.
>>
>>55168280
>>55168246
I like the vibe, maybe ditch the mask and calling himself judgement. Much more interesting if he looks normal.
>>
>>55171230
>Unless you are a sorcerer?
Or unless you're ready to swallow the consequences of casting a spell publicly or have a creative idea of concealing it. Otherwise even if you cast vicious mockery and throw the magic-infused insults, you first must loudly pronounce the incantation of 'IMPLORINGUS BIGUS DICKUS' (with nasal accent on -us) as a part of the verbal component.

The second part I don't agree with though, refer to my previous post. Wolves are fucking animals, they wouldn't recognize a spellcaster until he actually fries them with a scorching ray or something. Unless they're worgs.
>>
File: 20170901_172646.png (55KB, 720x288px) Image search: [Google]
20170901_172646.png
55KB, 720x288px
>>55171287
>you first must loudly pronounce the incantation of 'IMPLORINGUS BIGUS DICKUS' (with nasal accent on -us) as a part of the verbal component.
Maybe you should read up on vicious mockery.

That GM is a fucking retard.
>>
>>55171094
>Does this sound right?
Yes and no. The DM is a referee, so in that specific case it is right.

I'd say no though.
Nowhere in the PHB stands that subtle spell makes spells undetectable. It only strips components. Vicious Mockery is described as subtle. Vicious Mockery has a saving throw. Other spells have saving throws too and 'subtle spell' doesn't change anything about that. Saving throws represent counter measures to spells. Neither subtle spell nor Vicious Mockery impose disadvantage on saving throws per default, which would be the argument that any type of 'subtle' makes a spell harder to detect. Of course the DM could rule that any subtle spell could impose disadvantage in any form, so it's again on the DM.

On my table, if anyone makes an attempt to cast a spell undetected, I'd rule it for each case separately and give the target a perception check. Heck, this might even be one of the most justified perception checks.

Also, deception checks like >>55171243 mentioned are good for this.
>>
Why do black players without fail always attempt to steal or rape?
>>
>Gullin the Golden Boar
>Tempest cleric mountain dwarf of not-Odin.
>Pirate (viking) background
>wants to find an enemy good enough to defeat him in battle and give him a honorable death so he can ascend to not-Valhalla
Is this good? or should I make him a barbarian?
>>
>>55171360
Hey man, its in their drow nature they can't help it unless they are a mary sue
>>
>>55171230
Vicious mockery is pretty much the only exception. Someone would only realize you cast something if they have more than a passing familiarity with spells, the average joe wouldn't be able to tell anything happened. The person it was cast on mind you would almost certainly figure you did SOMETHING since he's suddenly dizzy and has a blinding headache after you called him a fat cunt, but he might not be sure it's magic, maybe you just distracted him and pricked him with something poisonous? He doesn't really know, again unless he's got more than a passing knowledge of magic.
Also his stupid shit about wolves knowing you're casting magic by the sound of it is so retarded I want to reach down the internet, out of your monitor and stretch my arm all the way over to his house and punch him in the cock repeatedly until it's so swollen and bruised he could be an extra in a BLACKED video.
>>
File: 1.jpg (62KB, 1275x377px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
62KB, 1275x377px
>>55171333
There is verbal component. Verbal component is a strong spoken incantation. The "Unleash a string of insults" part is flavor text. Otherwise you could argue all Fireball needs is pointing a finger, no incantation or any other movements.
>>
File: $_35.jpg (23KB, 215x300px) Image search: [Google]
$_35.jpg
23KB, 215x300px
>>55171360

Believe it or not, blue players are even worse.
>>
>>55171344
>>55171243
>>55171094
Being honest, my main issue would be allowing subtle spell for anyone in the first place.

Sorcerers get meta magic as their 1 redeeming feature. Taking that away from them is a dick move. You are making it even worse than it already is, especially since it has a cost.

You know, now that I think about it, maybe I would allow it, but let it cost 2 spell slots to cast. Want to cast sleep as a subtle spell? 2 level 1 spell slots. Fireball? 2 level 3 spell slots.

And then buff meta magic to make it free at all times.
>>
>>55171088
It's the quickest version you're going to find, short of just going clockwise around the table no matter what. Other versions of initiative in D&D usually have you rerolling your initiative every round after declaring your intended actions, so sometimes you'll spoil an enemy's choice of action or have them do the same to you. I like that, but if you think standard 3e-5e initiative is "clunky" you probably won't like it.
>>
>>55171387
Keep reading the entry, you turboretard.
>>
>>55171387
>Otherwise you could argue all Fireball needs is pointing a finger, no incantation or any other movements
What
There's literally no relation to what that anon said and this shitty strawman argument. Do you want to try reading Vicious Mockery again? It specifically says "You unleash a string of insults laced with subtle enchantments". Did you just miss the whole "subtle enchantments" part? Or do you need it explicitly pointed out that it says SUBTLE
SUBTLE
SUBTLE
>>
>>55171401
I mean if there's a Sorcerer in your party, I agree 100%, don't devalue their class features. But if there's no Sorcerer in your party then you're free to rule however you like, it's not hurting anyone.
>>
>>55171431
Subtle is a flavor word, retard. If it wasn't recognizable as spell, it would be stated in the spell entry.
>>
>>55171458
You rode the short bus didn't you
>>
>>55171447
Do you nerf the wizard and other spellcasters if a sorcerer does end up in the party? As a DM I would only allow this by giving the wizard some pseudo metamagic item.
>>
>>55171380
Vicious Mockery always struck me as this *really* aggravating insult. To anyone who casually overhears it, the bard is being rude/a dick, but nothing special. To the guy being targeted, you feel attacked. An ordinary person might even attack the Bard. Sone people in certain situations might think it was warranted (in the slums, for example), while in a high class party, he might be taken down for reacting violently to a simple insult, in the "keep your composure, you are a noble, act like it" way.
>>
>>55171004
>>55171123
Ok, would these stats work to start, with the intent to buff Cha come 4th level? Going with human non-variant, starting from monk.

Str:9
Dex:16
Con:14
Int:10
Wis:16
Cha:12
>>
>>55171094
Iirc WotC cleared this up recently and said you can't just work a spell into a regular conversation, it is a specific set of arcane words that must be spoken if it requires.
>>
>>55171458
Holy shit.

I dont even know what to say man. Are you part of whatever the opposite of mensa is called?
>>
>>55171489
>>55171503
>>55171458
>>55171431
>>55171333
Sage advice September 2016
Is the sentence of suggestion in the suggestion spell the verbal component, or is the verbal component separate? Verbal components are mystic words (PH, 203), not normal speech. The spell’s suggestion is an intelligible utterance that is separate from the verbal component.
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/rules-answers-september-2016
>>
>>55171525
Note that this answer is specifically in response to Suggestion (it's even under the "Specific Spells" header rather than "Spellcasting") so can easily be interpreted to not apply to Vicious Mockery
>>
>>55171489
Yeah that's what I've always felt it's like too. And regardless of the autism back and forth that I can feel about to start on how detectable it is. I hardly feel that letting bards have a single low damage cantrip be undetectable to someone who hasn't studied magic is really treading on sorcs metamagic toes. It's fun, it's flavorful and very fitting for bards, and the only other instance we have of any goddamn spell in the game being referred to as subtle is via the subtle spell metamagic which makes shit basically undetectable.
>>
Reminder to report and ignore shitposting.
>>
>>55171596
>reporting shitposting
>on 4chan
If its topic relevent shitposting I don't really care
>>
File: 1455851641340.jpg (53KB, 379x389px) Image search: [Google]
1455851641340.jpg
53KB, 379x389px
>>55171489
My group's bard interpreted it as throwing out insults and comments which specifically target the opponent's insecurities, which causes them to take psychic damage.

As my character is someone who highly values connections with others and tries to treat people with respect, i've made it a point to have my character be absolutely disgusted by this.

Everyone in the group loves in-party conflict so it works great
>>
>>55171500

No because you need 13 str to multiclass paladin
>>
Alright guys, we're running what might possible te a one or two-shot and I have literally no idea what to play, all I know is that it's Sunless Citadel and we're starting at level 1.

Hit me up with an idea or two.
>>
>>55171764
Sun soul monk
>>
>>55171612
The retard saying vicious mockery is not subtle, because the text that specifically calls it out as being subtle is "just flavour", is not "relevant" shitposting.
>>
>>55171094
DM is an ass but isn't wrong because he's the DM and this is his purview.

Certain spells are exceptions. Dissonant Whispers is a spell only the target can hear for example. And bards should be exceptions as to being clear that they're casting spells, but identifiable once you're looking for it, but other than that yeah

Subtle spell is for casting while silenced, restrained or counterspellable and yes, social encounters, but one doesn't mean you're allowed to all.
>>
>>55168055
So, I'm working an urban fantasy campaign and I need some minis for cars. Does anyone have a recommendation for brand/store/dollar store toyline/whatever where I can find some properly sized cars to populate a junkyard?
>>
>>55171853
Hot Wheels
>>
>>55171714
Forgot about that... WELL fuck...
>>
>>55171784
>Talking about a spell
>Talking about a spell in 5e
Not him but still sounds relevant even if he is retarded in his claims
>>
>>55171885
Something in scale with the 28mm minis, thanks.
>>
File: Kholvaire City Map - 3d - v0.19.jpg (1MB, 3000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
Kholvaire City Map - 3d - v0.19.jpg
1MB, 3000x3000px
I'm running a game that will largely take place in a city that was recently razed in massive geological event.

A relief effort is underway.

I'm having a bit of trouble coming up with hooks and events, any suggestions?

Pic related, it's the (currently unfinished) city pre-disaster.
>>
>>55171968
Securing extra supplies, organizing guards to keep violence/theft to a minimum, securing help of the underworld groups to get supplies harder to obtain, potentially another country sees this as a chance to attack, a group is attempting to seize power.
>>
>>55171401
I'd only allow deception check if a spell has ANY chance of being subtle by itself. So even the metamagic version has to be rolled. It's easier for the Sorcerer since he has higher CHA. As mentioned above, I'd judge each spell differently, perhaps even differently depending on the situation.

As a general rule, I'd think on answers for questions concerning the casting.
>verbal
Can it be silenced? Does it need to be silenced to be subtle?
>somatic
Can I obscure the gestures? Would arcane lights flicker around my hands usually? Can I skip or obscure that part?
>material
Can I obscure what's being done with the materials? If they are consumed, what would usually happen and does that produce sound that needs to be muffled?

Then I'd ask about the same concerning the spell effect. Depending on the answers I decide the deception DC and the perception DC for the target. The perception DC does not depend on the outcome of the deception check. Detecting a flying fireball should be much easier than obscuring one. Succeeding on the deception check only enables the possibility of the target not noticing the spell somehow.

In case of Vicious Mockery I'd make the deception DC between 5 and 15 depending on the situation. Generally, it's rather 5 than 15.
The target's DC would be between 15 and 25 depending on how clever my bard acted.

In case of Sleep I'd check the components used. Using a cricket might be a bad idea. Does my caster conceal their movements and their verbal components (subtle spell)? Additionally, each target might get different DCs on perception. The first guy notices nothing considering his situation (he falls asleep before the others), but the others might see him fall on his tracks and become a bit more aware of what's happening, which affects their perception DC.

This is a lot more complicated than casting during combats, but I think that's fine. It's part of a social interaction anyway, so a bit more details doesn't hurt here.
>>
>>55171094
Your DM is right
>>
File: Kholvaire City Map - v0.21-01.png (1MB, 4167x4167px) Image search: [Google]
Kholvaire City Map - v0.21-01.png
1MB, 4167x4167px
>>55171998
Sweet, awesome suggestions!

The city is already occupied by two opposing military forces. There is a truce in place while they deal with the disaster relief.

I'm trying to aim for smaller scope. The party won't be in charge of organizing the guard but they may be sent on errands to find supplies or contacting the grey market.

I like the idea of a third party asserting control. There were criminal groups in the city beforehand, so it makes sense that a few of them would try to capitalize on the chaos to solidify their positions.
>>
>>55171968
Help search for and rescue survivors, handle logistics for relief supplies, broker deals with neighbouring countries/city states for relief, the disaster unleashed something natural, or otherwise from under the city and now the PCs have to deal with that as well. Anything from a fault line, to a gate to either some elemental plane, or layer of hell.
>>
>>55172070
Very cool. I love the idea of brokering deals with neighboring countries. The surrounding region is pretty chaotic already and might need convincing to provide supplies to help keep the city from complete economic collapse.

I think I'll add a background threat along the line of something unleashed during the disaster. Like, bound elementals that were released during the event and now hiding throughout the city.
>>
>>55172118
How magical is your setting? Personally in the sewers of major cities there are the monsters that eat garbage (forget the name right now) if it's that kinda set up could have some of those coming to the surface looking for food.
>>
>>55171967
BIgger hot wheels
>>
>>55172160
The setting is high magic/magitek. Like late 1800's tech-wise using magic for machines and shit.

So the sewers being broken open would absolutely be a thing. Wererats and shit like that swarming out of flooded sections to the surface to escape drowning would be awesome. Thanks!
>>
File: otyugh.jpg (170KB, 1680x1234px) Image search: [Google]
otyugh.jpg
170KB, 1680x1234px
>>55172160
>monsters that eat garbage (forget the name right now)
Otyughs my man.
>>
>want to make a flashy polearm master
>being fancy is dex based, no dex polearms despite logic

Feh
>>
>Fell handed won't be made official
Are weapons feats dead?

Also
>Cavalier won't use superiority dice
Thank god they fixed this archetype, I wonder how it is now
>>
>>55172324
Monk dip let you use spear with dex
>>
>>55172011
>So even the metamagic version has to be rolled.
>An already weak feature is further nerfed
>Because fuck sorcerers, why aren't you playing the obviously superior Wizards?
>>
so question, when they release expansions, do they make UA stuff official? Like will the upcoming xanathar book properly balance mystic and artificer (et al) and bring them into the official game?
>>
>>55172393

Spears aren't polearms
>>
>>55168133
>get Move Earth, Fabricate, Transmute Rock, Glyph of Warding and Guards and Wards
>your wizard is now the guy who goes around making dungeons
>>
>>55172449
Use Quarterstaff then
>>
>>55172423
I think xanatar's is just subclasses and feats and such
>>
>>55172482
...Quarterstaffs aren't polearms either
>>
File: IMG_1502.jpg (86KB, 448x473px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1502.jpg
86KB, 448x473px
>>55172499
>>
>>55172499
No, but it is a monk weapon and simple enough to refluff
>>
>>55172423
Sorry buddy let, no new classes come Xanathar's
>>
>>55172452
In fact, that gave me an idea. What if the players put their heads together to take over some kind of abandoned building, tidied it up, and used permanent magic effects and traps to make it a Tomb of Horrors-esque shitshow for anyone but themselves?
>>
>>55172499
Give us your definition of polearm.
Spear is polearm in real life.
Quarterstaff is polearm in the game, and Polearm master feat even work with it.
>>
>>55172520
Forwhatpurpose.jpeg
>>
>>55172420
Nah I think he's right on that if I'm reading him right. It doesn't matter if you cast scorching ray silently and without making any gestures the actual spell effects still happen and aren't made invisible so 3 beams of firey death just shot from you to another dude and bored fucking holes through him. People will notice that shit. It's basically just saying you can't expect to subtle spell a fireball in a room of people watching you and expect to get away with it, someone is gonna see that bead of fire come from you and blow a fucking room up which is what any DM worth their salt judges in some way anyhow.

Also
>weak
It's a phenomenal metamagic for social shit though because the visible effects of the various charms and dominate spells are non existent, their effects are purely magical and it's still also great for if you get captured or your hands tied or something and need to be able to cast without all your shit. Sure if your campaigns are all dungeon crawler murderfest number 1467 then yeah it's not so great. But I'd give it a joint second place in metamagic strength depending on what you're aiming for, twinned is obviously top dog and then subtle or quicken depending on if you wanna be better at social or blasting. Wizards are still better for general purposes though and will always outperform a sorc massively except in the area the sorc specializes in, where they mearly lag behind by a tiny fraction
>>
>>55172523

OP here, I didn't make the post about quarterstaffs
>>
>>55172550
For fun and profit
>>
>>55172599
>dungeon crawler murderfest number 1467
There should be opportunities to use it if you're playing GOOD dungeon crawler murderfests
>>
If a half-elf and human have a child, would it still count as a half-elf? At what point is the elf watered out enough to just be a human again?
>>
>>55172654
Well yeah, but why? What do they get out of it? Unless it's simply a matter of making a death gauntlet, spreading some rumours about wicked treasure in there, and just picking over the corpses of those foolish enough to go through it. But if that's the purpose of doing that, it would be much easier to just start mugging people.

I mean, unless you plan on advertising yourself as "security specialists" to people with stuff they want protected, I don't see much of a point of taking a game in that direction. But to each their own.
>>
>>55172691
Half-elves should be sterile
>>
>>55172599
Fair point, I wont argue against it when we are talking attavk spells. But then you really cant *not* be subtle. The only point of subtle spell with that sort of spells, is that you cant be counterspelled. Don't fucking ask them to make rolls for that after paying the cost for it. But if you are casting an inherently "subtle" spell (Friends, charm, prestidigitation, etc), then I dont think you should ever even consider rolling when you are using meta magic. Because:
>weak
Meta magic is super limited by the SP cost. Subtle magic is extremely limited in scope and utility for the cost, and the limited choice of meta magic you get access to.
>>
>>55172736
Perhaps, but in the book its explicitly stated that half-elves can reproduce
>>
>>55172691
I think once you get to quarter-elf, it's whatever you want to happen.
>>
Would it be safe to assume a God whos nearly "dead" (ie no followers for like a gorillion years) would be found drifting in the Ethereal Plane?

I'm assuming the progression (in order of deity swoleness) Own Plane->Shared Plane with other deities of similar scope-> Demiplane-> Floating the Ethereal before either dissipating or being eaten by some kind of horrible space thing
>>
>>55172691
50/50 chance of being another half elf or a human with elfish features. Now, what's really interesting is that hall-elves who get it on with other half-elves create stable half-elf populations. Imagine a country where EVERYONE is a half elf
>>
>>55172788
The book assumes you're playing in the FR
>>
>>55172832
Depends on if your gods need worship to survive, or if they just are forgotten or take on new forms
>>
>>55172832
Also what are some good reasons for a Deity to lose power like that? At the moment I just have that their religion waned due to other Gods coming around and taking up residence, so over a few generations they just lost relavence as they have a somewhat niche combo of Arcana/Nature and Druids tend to worship their own gods and Wizards their own.
>>
File: Soul_Edge_(SC5).jpg (31KB, 540x720px) Image search: [Google]
Soul_Edge_(SC5).jpg
31KB, 540x720px
>>55168055
Question about Hexblade lore, is your pact weapon sentient or is it just the patron?
>>
>>55172864
its just a regular pact weapon
>>
>>55172847
Forgotten Realms or Greyhawk specifically
>>
When your players miss out on loot that you have created do you tend to just leave it there or repurpose it and put it somewhere else?
>>
>>55172915
I perfer to have have them run into it later.
>>
>>55172915
It's not doing any good sitting there in that unopened chest, always repurpose it. Unless it's an item that makes little sense outside of a specific location.
>>
>>55172864
I once played a Warlock whose Patron was Blackrazor, the greatsword forged from the essence of the far plane beyond the cosmos. His pact weapon was a replica of the sword.
>>
File: Beelzebub.jpg (489KB, 591x692px) Image search: [Google]
Beelzebub.jpg
489KB, 591x692px
So Beelzebub is the Lord of Flies and commonly depicted as a giant fly.

Lolth is basically THE Goddess of Spiders and also commonly depicted with an arachnid body.

Idea for game: Followers of Lolth trying to capture Beelzebub for their goddess to feast on, resulting in demonically empowered spider-goddess and her equally demonically empowered followers?

I'm pretty sure I'm ripping off World of Warcraft hard here, but still.
>>
File: SoulEdge_SC2.jpg (25KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
SoulEdge_SC2.jpg
25KB, 512x512px
>>55172864
>Posting Soul Edge from the worst game
>>
File: b22bfe03aae348dbfb-0.jpg (194KB, 935x1210px) Image search: [Google]
b22bfe03aae348dbfb-0.jpg
194KB, 935x1210px
>>55168055
Help on character idea
Mechanically want to have something like Waylander the Slayer, from David Gemmell
I was thinking Battlemaster Fighter, archery fighting style
getting the crossbow expert and sharpshooter feats obviously (likely at levels 4 and 6, gm doesnt allow combat feats for level 1)
however, is fighter the best choice? would a rogue or ranger be the best choice?
I was even thinking scout fighter
however,
>>
File: siege gunner.jpg (310KB, 800x713px) Image search: [Google]
siege gunner.jpg
310KB, 800x713px
>>55173137
I was also thinking
rogue assassin 1/fighter 2/ rogue x
he is very operator
>>
File: 635764665_preview_1280x720-jAh.jpg (149KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
635764665_preview_1280x720-jAh.jpg
149KB, 1280x720px
>>55173137
>tfw can't make a Vaulter Marine because of the Ammunition errata
>>
>>55173137
>doesn't allow combat feats at level 1
for what possible reason
>>
>>55173080

That's pretty nifty actually.
>>
>>55168670
when they return level adjustment for OP races
>>
>>55173236
makes it more balanced for the varient human
has worked out ok so far
current party as a shove focused shield battlemaster
just used his level 1 feat for brawny
>>
File: 16 - Vaulter Soldiers.jpg (74KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
16 - Vaulter Soldiers.jpg
74KB, 1280x720px
>>55173229
Fuck that, if there's a feat to cast while holding a shield, I can have a feat to load ammunition while holding a shield. For Zolya!
>>
>>55171764
Noble barbarian elf, gets really angry when things don't go your way

Sailor paladin human, was thrown off a ship during a mutiny

Folk hero paladin halfling, with a vengeance!
>>
On the conversation of insight checks, I use passive insight, so thaf if a player rolls low they take the passive, that way they don't automatically distrust a person on a low roll.

I run passives for all "perception" skills, eg. Insight, Perception, Investigation.
>>
>>55173275

Yeah fuck that.
>>
>>55173229

I don't understand shields honestly, they're strapped TO your arms, often with another extra strap you can hold to counteract leverage, but you only need to hold that strap when defenfing, if you're attacking or casting you should be able to just let go of the second strap, grap ammo/components, then grab the strap again at the end of your turn.

I would have written shields so that while you have one equipped you can use the hand freely, however you only get the +2 AC if your hand is free when an attack is magd against you.
>>
What does a optimal Warlock look like?
>>
Opinions on Warlock with the Raven Queen Patron?
>>
>>55173421
A Sorcerer with a 2 level Warlock dip.
>>
I'm sure the resource links have advice on it but what's /tg/'s thoughts of setting up encounters in a dungeon? Is it better to do a few easy/medium encounters and end with a deadly one or keep it balanced most the way through?
>>
>>55173562
I do medium encounters and then a borderline deadly encounter. If things aren't going the way I want I also cheat
>>
>>55173562

They say an adveturing party can get through 6 normal encounters in a day, given 2-3 short rests, I'd say remove 2 normal encounters for a hard encounter, and 3 normal encounters for a deadly one.

This IMO works best after like, level 5 when classes get their extra attacks and 3rd level spells.
>>
>>55168055
The best dungeon I ever experienced wasn't even all that great dungeonwise, but was a LOT of fun.
We're playing in Dark Sun right now and the dm described a crazy, twitchy man in a tavern begging us for help getting a long lost treasure and that today was the first time in 200 years it could be claimed.
We follow him out into the desert as an eclipse occurs overhead (conveniently a day after the irl one), and a Cave of Wonders-esque hole in the ground appears. The dm tells us we have one real life hour to navigate the dungeon, get the treasure, and get out before were trapped.
The group IMMEDIATELY begins to move with swat team efficiency Ive only seen us use a few times before, and instead of fighting the mephits and giant flabby fleshbeasts inside, we just kited and aggro'd things into rooms where they couldnt get us while searching for goodies.
The druid wildshaped into a warhorse, the paladin hopped on his back, and the two of them scouted out the entire dungeon and got the big pile of stuff at the end of it while everyone else desperately tried to avoid getting killed - because it was a pretty hard crawl to begin with.
We charged out of it indiana jones style with a literal actual second to spare. No one had more than 5 hitpoints. We then proceeded to oneshot the twitchy asshole who stayed behind the moment he turned on his defiling powers.
Was great.
>>
>>55173257
Along with my friend's reaction to the idea, I'm putting it in the campaign. Thanks!
>>
Anybody have good pictures of undead half-ogres?
>>
File: 1504065881129.png (1MB, 1181x1772px) Image search: [Google]
1504065881129.png
1MB, 1181x1772px
which class/subclass would be best for a traditional witch? like, lives in a swamp, has a bubbling cauldron, may or may not eat children, etc

maybe a raven queen warlock but i dunno if there's a better setup in one of the other classes/UAs
>>
>>55172550
Hey if you piss off someone and they come after you they're fucked
>>
>>55173400
see, the thing is, you aren't actually taking turns wailing on each other, combat is abstract.
>>
>>55173972
You can probably flavor it in any way you want. I would say probably a Warlock with Hermit background, because it gives you abilities like alter self at will. Honestly though it's flavor - you could argue that your lore bard is actually a wizened witch who lives in the forest, and uses beguiling speech to get her way versus performing any instrument.

Or a really dark and twisted druid.
>>
>>55174129
To be fair, what he described is literally how two handed weapon casting works - you take a hand off of your weapon, cast a spell, and put your hands back on it in order to attack.
>>
What class and sublass do you think would be most fitting for a Psychopomp (Think grim reaper, but less edgy, more about guiding lost souls to the afterlife.)
>>
>>55172324
This is pretty much what the Kensai Monk UA is for. Take Glaive as a Kensei weapon and the Polearm Master and Sentinel feats. Then run around blocking everyone's paths, bonus points if you've got a halfling rogue hiding behind you.
>>
>>55174174

Yup, exactly, I don't see why that can't be done with a shield.

A shield has two straps to it, one to fasten it to your arm, and one to counteract leverage which isn't "fastened" to you. I can see it getting in the way of wielding large weapons, but using ammo or casting a spell seems like something that could easily be done.
>>
Why did they change the sonic damage type to thunder?
>>
>>55174174
yeah, but in the case of the shield, thinking abstractly, he really doesn't know for sure if the opponent is going to take advantage of that momentary lack of defense. As opposed to when he is choosing to cast instead of swing, he is in control of the action.
>>
>>55174186
grave cleric / raven queen warlock?
>>
>>55174231

Would that not also apply to using any two handed weapon? If you're taking your hand off your weapon you're not going to have much manoeuvrability to block or dodge, and waving around your hands for arcane casting likely creates a greater opening without a shield that with one.
>>
>>55174264
>If you're taking your hand off your weapon you're not going to have much manoeuvrability to block or dodge
I don't recall weapons granting AC
>>
>>55174231
Which would likely be reflected in enemies making opportunity attacks or prepared strikes; similarly that I would imagine that one would be using their large weapon to either deflect blows or to harass/threaten so that they are less likely to be targeted. Someone taking a hand off a weapon mid fight should be equally at that disadvantage.

Each turn happens more or less simultaneously within the six second round, but they represent small slices of each characters focus. It seems reasonable to say that a character momentarily abandons holding their shield tightly in order to do something else while the enemy is distracted (or while they back up the 5+ feet they can from their opponent), just like a character can pull their hands off a weapon momentarily without being immediately shanked.

I feel like its more reasonable to say "You let go of your shield for a moment", versus "you drop your sword to the ground, do something, and then pick it back up and that's something that an opponent is LESS likely to take advantage of.
>>
>>55174214
Because thunder and lightning sound cooler than sonic and electric
>>
>>55174210
You could probably convince a DM by adding some bolt holding leather work or a tinker mechanism to the back of your shield where you could load a hand crossbow from the back of your shield.
>>
>>55174291

The shield wouldn't even need to grant AC when doing this, the whole point is you can't even forgo AC for it, you have to "Doff" the shield using an action.
>>
>>55168954
There's already a really good PDF for that, look it up
>>
>>55174291
They don't, but this is all part of the greater abstraction. I have no problem with going "Because that's a balance abstraction, deal with it", but it is kind of wonky when given as a "because its just an abstraction and the enemy would take advantage of it". The enemy can absolutely take advantage of it - if I was to play a game where casters could let go of their shield momentarily, it also means that enemies can use a readied action to *wait* for that to happen, and you no longer have that +2 AC (just like enemies can *wait* for you to drop your sword, and grab/kick it away) - but in general, having to drop/pickup your weapon every time is just ... Wonky. There should be better ways to go about doing it.
>>
>>55174303

You could, but that doesn't excuse WotC's shitty ruling does it?
>>
>>55174299

Thunder and Lightning sound very very frighting to me.
>>
>>55174343
When Beelzebub puts a devil aside for you, you'll want to make sure you have some thunderbolts and lightning.
>>
>>55174325
No but it gives the DM some roleplaying reason to override it, it also means it's not a straight up rule change, you'll have to spend some gold and work towards a goal of achieving that
>>
>>55174325
You lose some nuance when you design a system to be as simple and barebones as 5e
>>
Are there any good guides to coherent dungeon design? Not how to populate it and put in treasure and traps, but how to put it together so it feels like an actual place and not just a collection of rooms filled with monsters, treasure, and traps?
>>
>>55174419
Just ask yourself "Would this make sense for someone living or working in it?" If the answer is no, find out what sticks out as strange and think about how you would incorporate it into a place where someone would actually live or work.
>>
>>55173425
Anyone? Spiritual weapon on w warlock seems really nice, especially after applying hex
>>
>>55174325
I don't even think it's that bad of a rule. Unless you're using buckler a ranged weapon should be pretty damn tough to load with a shield on your arm.
>>
8/16/14/10/16/10 or 8/17/14/8/16/10 as a VHuman Kensei?

I'm already taking Human Determination, it's just if I get a 16 or a 17 in DEX and 10 or 8 in INT.
>>
>>55174462

Honestly I feel they could have done with making different types of shield

Buckler:
+1 AC, counted as having a free hand for object interactions, loading and light weapons.

Kite:
+2 AC

Tower:
+3 AC, -5 speed.
>>
>>55174554
Fuck int, go with the second.
>>
>>55172864
I don't make it an actual sentient sword, just a dude known as the "Hexblade"
>>
>>55174736
I just make it one of the existing pacts except you took a more Martial pact than straight caster. Also let them take one patron-specific weapon to fit, so a GOO hexblade could have the tentacle flail.
>>
Is there any decent build around multiclassing a warlock and a sorcerer? Asking for a friend...
>>
Would allowing the hexblade's Hex warrior and pact of the blade to work for ranged weapons be too much?

I know it's called the hexblade, but all of their features (besides Hex warrior ofc) work on any attack, and some features in particular favor ranged attacks (Shadow hound allowing you to ignore cover)
>>
>>55174839
Its called sorlock, I'm shocked you haven't heard of it
>>
>>55174839
Yes.
>>
>>55174839

Are you trolling?

One of the most powerful and well known builds in the game is a sorlock.

Warlock for 2 levels, taking eldritch blast and agonizing blast, then go full sorc.

Use your sorcery points to twin eldritch blast, allowing you to deal up to 8d10+40 (88) damage at higher levels.
>>
>>55174886
Twinned does not work on Eldritch Blast past level 4; once you hit level 5 it can now target two creatures and therefore is ineligible.
>>
Why are the Drow pitch-black and not nearly translucent like most cave dwelling creatures?
>>
>>55174913
Because Magic.
>>
>>55174913
because they are cursed abominations
>>
>>55174909

You can then use quicken instead, or you can just start with quicken.
>>
>>55174939
Yep. Just pointing out the err of that post.
>>
>>55174913
Because they're from the Underdark, which, while dark, is not pitch black. Vision is still a common adaptation in that environment, and so the drow are colored to blend in slightly better.
>>
What's a good background for "I'm the only member of my family who ISN'T a demon worshipper?"
>>
Fuck, I need appropriate music for this upcoming Beholder battle.

What OSTs or music do you use for imposing or extremely deadly fights?
>>
>>55175003
Haunted One.

>>55175007
Eye of the Tiger
>>
>>55175007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbEob28Dxag&t=0s
>>
>>55175007

Two Steps from hell is good for epic music

use OSTs from games, films and anime too like Skyrim, Shadow of the colossus, Monster Hunter.
>>
>>55175007
Time to get średniowieczny
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXnKxRvX3Z4
>>
>>55175042

>Monster Hunter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lMwvX41uAQ
>>
>>55175050
wait, this shit was sampled in The Witcher
>>
>You can drown the Tarrasque
O I am laffin
>>
>>55175096
Close. Percival is the band that did the witcher soundtrack
>>
File: spin.gif (406KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
spin.gif
406KB, 256x256px
>>55175118
im really being thrown for a loop here today aren't I
>>
Dm wanted my help making some homebrew races based on genasi (I know). So far the ones I'm iffy about are Arcane, which is +2 con, +1 int, mage hand, detect magic, and mage armor as racial spells, and shadow which is +2 con, +1 dex or cha (undecided) , either 120 foot darkvision or 60 foot + see through magic darkness (also undecided),advantage on hiding in the dark, and darkness as a racial spell. Any advice?
>>
>>55175228
so he made the best wizard race and then made a race that can utilize darkness and exploit it by being able to see through it. no thanks.
>>
>>55174978
>a black race
>colored
Triggered!
>>
>>55168143

Glad you found a system you enjoy.
>>
Why are the drow black and not albino?
>>
>>55175377
I just asked this. What's going on here?
>>
I have difficulty keeping myself dedicated to playing a single character. I mean I have to, as my DM would get annoyed otherwise, but I'm constantly thinking up new characters. I want to make a Paladin, a Barbarian, a Wizard, a Druid, a Bard, and a Warlock. I have multiple ideas for different archetypes too. And I keep changing my mind on what my next character will be. What makes it even more painful is that we only play once a week, if that, and for only about 6 hours. And I'm far too nervous to try to play online with strangers.

Share with me your struggles concerning DnD, so that we might find comfort in each others' similar problems.
>>
How boring is playing a barbarian?
>>
>>55175377
something something it's dark (but not totally black) underground and there's threats which rely on sight.
>>
>>55175411
Not at all
>>
>>55175402

I was like that, my DM got annoyed even though I only switched characters once in the past (And even then, it was a class switch, same character otherwise)
>>
>>55171525
Note that this is, in fact, totally retarded.

>"Is the sentence of suggestion in the suggestion spell the verbal component, or is the verbal component separate?"
>"Verbal components are mystic words (PH, 203), not normal speech. The spell’s suggestion is an intelligible utterance that is separate from the verbal component."
"BIBBITY BOBBITY BOOP!"

"What was that?"

"Nothing! Also, maybe you should go check out the other side of the camp now."

And from the EXACT SAME SAGE ADVICE:
>"Do you always know when you’re under the effect of a spell?"
>"You’re aware that a spell is affecting you if it has a perceptible effect or if its text says you’re aware of it (see PH, 204, under “Targets”). [...] Some spells are so subtle that you might not know you were ever under their effects. A prime example of that sort of spell is suggestion. Assuming you failed to notice the spellcaster casting the spell, you might simply remember the caster saying, “The treasure you’re looking for isn’t here. Go look for it in the room at the top of the next tower.” You failed your saving throw, and off you went to the other tower, thinking it was your idea to go there. You and your companions might deduce that you were beguiled if evidence of the spell is found. It’s ultimately up to the DM whether you discover the presence of inconspicuous spells. Discovery usually comes through the use of skills like Arcana, Investigation, Insight, and Perception or through spells like detect magic."

THE EXACT SAME SAGE ADVICE

Sage Advice is just dumb and useless, basically.
>>
>>55175411
As boring as you make it. From a roleplaying point of view, you have to think about your character's culture in a little more depth than just vague savagery. In combat, you should consider maybe not recklessly attacking every time.
>>
>>55175411

Mechanically it's very boring.
>>
>>55175439
there's no contradiction here. the first section is dealing with the casting of spells, the second deals with their effects.
>>
>>55175438
My DM let me change once and I just haven't wanted to bring it up since then. My current character is fun, but the grass always looks greener, you know?
>>
>>55174913
>>55175377
Because darkvision/infravision. Black skin radiates less body heat than translucent skin.
>>
>>55175441
Why not?
>>
>>55173972
Druid or Warlock.
>>
>>55175439

Crawford is a massive fag with no concept of consistency.

Who knew?
>>
File: david-duchovny094[1].jpg (58KB, 952x402px) Image search: [Google]
david-duchovny094[1].jpg
58KB, 952x402px
>>55175377
>>55174978
Are you serious? I just told you that a moment ago.
>>
Is there a table with all of the Magic affixes in 5e? I want to do random crafting in my campaign but I can't find a list of every possible affix.
>>
>>55175464
wow yeah suggestion is so subtle

you know, what with the retard in a dressing gown gabbling mystic nonsense in your face before making a "reasonable request"

You might never know you were brainwashed!
>>
>>55173972
I'm happy someone is playing a character like this. Good luck.
>>
>>55175492

I'm laughing my fucking head off at the mental image of this.
>>
>>55175483
I'm the person who asked the first time, I don't know how someone with the exact same question turned up so soon without reading the thread.
>>
>>55174419
>>55174438
Try something similar to the Palinka Effect minus all the insane Balkans. Design a dungeon, then play out what would happen after 1 year of its inhabitants living in it. What would annoy them? What would they want to move or build?
>>
>>55175439

>Assuming you failed to notice the spellcaster casting the spell.
>>
>>55175464
>Vicious Mockery
>"IA IA PH'NGLUI MGLW'NAFH CTHULHU R'LYEH WGAH'NAGL FHTAGN! Your dick is tiny!"

amaaaaazing
>>
>>55173972
Depends on your priorities. What do you want to be able to do? I'd say the obvious choice is Warlock, but you could also go wizard or druid no problem.
>>
>>55175525
Suggestion is one action. How the hell can you avoid being noticed when you have to do a dumb arcane incantation AND THEN give your suggestion to the target in 6 seconds?
>>
>>55171525
>Verbal components are mystic words (PH, 203), not normal speech. The spell’s suggestion is an intelligible utterance that is separate from the verbal component.
Just to clarify for all of you - this means that a Warlock with a Fiend Patron cannot cast spells by screaming curses in Abyssal, because that's "normal speech".

Similarly, the Sorcerer with a Draconic Bloodline cannot possibly make like the Dragonborn of Elder Scrolls by enunciating their spells in Draconic, because that's an actual language and not meaningless gobbledegook.
>>
>>55175470
Only elf druids eat children btw
>>
>>55175492
again, he says the *effect* of suggestion is subtle, not the casting of the spell.

for instance, a wizard could make a deception check to convince someone he's blessing their crops when he's actually putting them under a suggestion spell. the person will know you are casting a spell, but they will not know that the spell has been cast on them, let alone what kind of spell (unless they have some knowledge in arcana).

more easily, a sorcerer could use subtle spell.
>>
Got any cool houserules to share? We use exaustion when you enable someone to get up from death saves by using healing spells, and when you change your shape in any way. We also make it so long rests don't magiclly heal your ilness and other effects, and you have to roll HD on a long rest to heal.
>>
>>55175525
So just like
shout some magic shit behind a tree
THEN IMMEDIATELY leap out and ask them a favour

And if pressed, tell them it was someone else yelling nonsense just out of sight.

Genius.
>>
File: Fred Rogers.jpg (135KB, 620x484px) Image search: [Google]
Fred Rogers.jpg
135KB, 620x484px
>>55168280
>>55168246
Don't do a mask, don't be edgy.
In fact, skip the bar.

Give the party a good impression of the afterlife. Have them meet a friend.
>>
>>55175582
Roll a 1 you have to suck the DM's dick. Damage rolls included.
>>
Is tempest cleric a good class for a dwarven thor?
>>
File: the_highwind_by_rennard.gif (80KB, 210x158px) Image search: [Google]
the_highwind_by_rennard.gif
80KB, 210x158px
I've been putting my players through a lot, so at the end of this adventure they'll find a fully stocked airship locked deep in a secretive vault. I want to go all out, so I've loaded it up with the obvious supplies (food, rope, ammo for the ballistae) and a couple other things (potions of healing and feather falling, two figurines that transform into rideable giant eagles). The ship includes quarters to sleep twenty, a cantina lounge, a somewhat luxurious captain's quarters, and a room with a teleportation circle.

But I think I could do even more. Cargo or otherwise, what are some cool things that you'd want to find in your brand new airship?
>>
>>55175578
>again, he says the *effect* of suggestion is subtle, not the casting of the spell.
Oh, I understand exactly what he's saying.

I'm just letting you know that what he's saying is completely stupid, implications and all, and not how any sane human being actually plays this game.
>>
What do you guys use to make maps? I'm a really shitty artist so pen/paper would just be embarassing
>>
>>55175591

This is what I mean about flavor being too intertwined with mechanics.

Mechanics should be made first, then flavor to fit the mechanics, not the other way around.
>>
>>55175582
>Got any cool houserules to share?
If a spell involves speaking something out loud for the spell, those are counted as the verbal components for that spell.

On a less inflammatory note though, I give Sorcerers spell points and combine those with Sorcery Points into a single resource pool. I also give sorcs access to more metamagic options and created several new ones to choose from. It's worked out really nicely and they're much more versatile than before.
>>
>>55175628
i'm surprised you feel that way. i would say it's always been the norm to treat verbal components as specific magical incantations. in my opinion it would be more odd if you could cast meteor swarm simply by saying "hello my name is john" or something.
>>
>>55175597

The guy's from a race of constructs, whose souls are in masks.

The bar's an idea I'm keeping

And it's not exactly the afterlife either, it's sort of an inbetween, when people die their souls mix with the Nooshphere, most of the time they're then drawn towards another plane of similar alignment and exist within that plane's nooshphere.
>>
>>55175591
How come whenever anyone makes fun of verbal components, they're always shouting?

You can whisper magic words too, people. You're not a fucking vaudevillian stage magician.
>>
>>55175667
That's not what we're talking about though. We mean that if a spell requires you to speak something aloud, such as Suggestion or Vicious Mockery, then those count as the verbal components without adding a bunch of arcane gibberish.
>>
>>55175582

Potions take a bonus action, not an action.

Spells that require you to speak count as verbal components.

Spells that require material but not somatic are covered by war caster.
>>
>>55175672
>You can whisper magic words too, people
Well except no, you actually can't
>>
http://www.lordbyng.net/inspiration/tables.php

cool magic item table. WotC was so lazy when it comes to magic items in 5e
>>
>>55175672
Our DM makes us say words for every spell. expects us to make something up that sounds like latin. Fuck that guy and every DM whom gets a boner when players speak "words of magic". Like combat wasn't long enough because of how incompetent he is.
>>
>>55175694

Typical 5e making everything "Up to the DM"

https://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/11/17/audible-verbal-component/
>>
>>55175712
As it should be
>>
>>55175700

There aren't rules saying you can or can't, it's up to the DM, like every goddamn thing in 5e.

https://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/11/17/audible-verbal-component/
>>
>>55175700
Yes you can. The book only mentions a "particular combination of sounds, with specific pitch and resonance," not volume.
>>
>>55175723

It should be, but there should also be a base rule too, that a DM has the freedom to overwrite (Like everything in the game)

Not having a base rule means that in one game a DM can make you have to shout it and in another game you can whisper it, and that's inconstancy I can't fucking stand.

How hard is it to fucking write a small sentence?

On a side note I had a DM that made you roll for stealth when whispering (not just for magic)

Fuck that guy, as if my character doesn't know how to fucking whisper.
>>
>>55175756
>and that's inconstancy I can't fucking stand
Get over it you fucking pansy, or just run your own games if it triggers you so much
>>
>>55175685
in situations like that, if there is a problem, i would say that is a problem with the description of those specific spells, not the rules in general. perhaps those spells should not have verbal components, or they should specify that the verbal component can be substituted for other speech in the description. on the other hand, a spell like suggestion can go off the rails if you're not careful.

but the rule in general is sound and an important part of why sorcerers have the ability to bypass verbal components.
>>
>>55175766

It's bad game design, and not only that, it's lazy. it's not fucking difficult for them to state these things.
>>
>>55175625
An animated figurehead that defends the ship with bites or fire breath
>>
>>55175772

Subtle spell is for bypassing counterspell and silence, not for fucking whispering.
>>
>>55175795
>Subtle spell is for bypassing counterspell and silence, not for fucking whispering.
[citation needed]
>>
>>55175779
It's neither and making rules for every little fucking thing like that leads to rule bloat. Get over yourself, snowflake
>>
>>55175795
i'm not talking about whispering, you're mixing up the two conversations.
>>
>>55175803

What citation? It should be common fucking sense that you don't need to be a fucking sorcerer to whisper shit. Verbal components exist in order to create a way to shut down certain spells through gags or silence.

All it has to be is "Audible" https://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/11/17/audible-verbal-component/
>>
>>55175810

>Rule bloat
>Implying that's a thing
>>
>>55175810
love to ship incomplete TTRPGs and then have ppl on the internet defend it as "avoiding rules bloat"
>>
>>55175803
Since it actually removes the requirement for verbal or somatic components, that means you can use a subtle spell while silenced, bound, restrained, etc. with no penalties, and with no indication of it being cast to be a target for counterspell. Of fucking course that's what it's for when that's literally the mechanical benefit it gives
>>
>>55175821
>It should be common fucking sense that you don't need to be a fucking sorcerer to whisper shit
It isn't, why are you trying to buff spellcasters even more?
>>
>>55175841
>t. 3.pf

>>55175850
It's not incomplete you autist, this is something that makes perfect sense to leave to the DM's discretion.
>>
>>55175856
>why are you trying to buff spellcasters even more?
IT'S NOT A BUFF WHEN THAT'S HOW IT WORKS BY DEFAULT
>>
I hear a lot about nuclear druid, could someone explain what it actually is?
>>
>>55175856

1) It's not a buff when all it needs is to be audible

2) ridiculousness shouldn't stand.
>>
>>55175889
>THAT'S HOW IT WORKS BY DEFAULT
You posted it yourself

>All it has to be is "Audible" https://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/11/17/audible-verbal-component/
>How loud is audible? That's up to the DM.
Whisper isn't audible enough for me. Play a sorcerer if you want to be a sneaky mage.
>>
>>55175874

3.pf suffered from content bloat, not rule bloat.

If you couldn't understand the rules of 3.pf, regardless of whether you liked it or not, you're clinically retarded.
>>
>>55175931

>whisper isn't enough for me

Good thing I avoid playing with massive fags.

If audible is all that's required, then there's nothing stopping me from cupping my hands over my mouth and whispering. It's audible, it's producing sound.
>>
>>55175962
Good that I don't play with munchkins like you
>>
>>55175979
Holy shit, you actually are retarded
>>
>>55175945
Pathfinder literally has two competing rulesets, Core and Unchained, that can intermingle with one another.
>>
>>55175979

>wanting the game to be followed as intended and in a way that makes realistic sense is being a munchkin
>Being a DM that wants to limit other classes due to a preconceived notion of what the class is meant to be is OK though.

I love how you call sorcs the "Sneaky mage" when they're mostly about blowing things up, yet Arcane tricksters, a ROGUE subclass, the epitome of sneakiness, supposedly has to shout their spells.

Makes

Sense
>>
>>55176004

How is that different from errata and variant rules?
>>
This argument is retarded, but so is the idea of whispering spells.
>>
tfw realize our groups tpk happened because the DM gave the death slaad greater invisibility and hide as a free action

I liked that character :(
>>
I wanna upgrade my wizard player's find familiar spell.
Any ideas?
Should I add more familiar options or give them extra abilities?
>>
>>55176043
How are variant rules not a form of rule bloat to you?
>>
>>55176043
Because errata are corrections and are actually included in current printings of the book, not an alternate ruleset
>>
>>55175793
Rad.
>>
I'm planning on using a homebrew system where 'orbs' drop from boss monsters. These orbs can be used in different ways, but essentially they will be the means to craft magic items. How should I have these orbs work, in-game? I know what the orbs will do, I just don't know how the players should learn to use the orbs, or how exactly the orbs will get activated.

For instance, an orb of magic will be used on a normal item to make it magical with random properties. I'm not sure how I want the players to actually use the orbs in-universe though. Do they simply have to touch the item they're making magical?
>>
>>55176227
Have you looked at the runes from SKT
>>
>>55176227
Read up on the runes from Storm Kings Thunder. Sounds similar to what you're looking for.

They are magic items that give you benefits by carrying them around, or you can use them in a ritual to make a non magical item magical
>>
reposting from old thread

Curse of Strahd spoilers

What do you think oh having Baba Lysaga fly around in argynvosts Skull?
>>
>>55176227
step 1: go to the orb device
step 2: select a recipe
step 3: feed in the appropriate number of orbs
step 4: ???
step 5: a fancy new magic item!
>>
>>55176071
Have them run into the creature which will offer to him a familiar pact in exchange for something

Be warned tho, that a more powerful familiar such as an independent creature like this will die permanently, if at all
>>
>>55176285

I was trying to find them, which page?
>>
Can you cast meld into stone while being grappled/restrained
Until i thought of this I've just been using thunderwave and praying they failed their save, or the diviner portents them
>>
>>55176322
Wasn't there a beholderkin in volos with the familiar varient
>>
>>55176327
In the very back in the magic items section
>>
>>55176481
the gazer, aye. Even it had description how it could be traded and barted for in a shop of destiny.
>>
File: KfucOsR.png (783KB, 802x523px) Image search: [Google]
KfucOsR.png
783KB, 802x523px
What would you name a magic weapon maul used by bearfolks/werebear. I could go meme tier and name it the "Maul Maul" or "Den Maker/Breaker" or "Grizzly Vengeance" or should I go with something like "(Insert bear king's name here)'s Maul?
>>
>DMing for a group of 6
>any time they need to scout somewhere, the Drood just turns into a spider and goes for it
>if she feels that wont work, Pass Without A Trace and then turn into a spider

What creatures and what lairs would be able to combat this? I feel like a Beholder would've thought of this possible kind of espionage
>>
>>55176683

Ursa Major, and there's a one-handed club that goes with it called Ursa Minor
>>
>>55176683
The Den Mother
>>
>>55176685
Anything with truesight
>>
>>55176685
magic traps
>>
>>55176683
The hibernator
>>
>>55176683
>Grizzly Vengeance
>>
>>55176724
>>55176729
Good ideas.

To follow this up, if you were a Beholder, would you defend the near entrance of your lair with Umber Hulks or Ropers on the ceiling?
>>
>>55176685
>>55176845
Antimagic fields would work quite well too
>>
>>55176227
Have an NPC be able to craft a selection of magic items unique to the orb, using the souls of your enemies.
>>
>>55176855
Reading the spell, antimagic field wouldn't remove a Wild Shape from a creature, would it?
>>
Thanks for the bear weapon names. I also find naming something hard as a DM. Especially since if I name something dumb then you're stuck with it
>>
>>55176894
Yes it would, its magic
>>
>>55176071
That's a really bad idea. Find Familiar shouldn't be looked at as a spell, but as a hidden class feature. It gives any wizard a free expendable practically-undetectable scout, you can be cheesy and have it use the Help action every wound of every fight if your DM lets you, and it lasts indefinitely. It offers greater vale by far than any other first-level spell, making whole other classes obsolete on its own.
>>
>>55176894
>Spells and other magical effects, except those created by an artifact or a deity, are suppressed in the sphere and can’t protrude into it.
hmmmmm
>>
File: Warlock-Feature.png (1MB, 970x545px) Image search: [Google]
Warlock-Feature.png
1MB, 970x545px
What homebrew can I use to make warlock not a eldritch blast turret?
>>
>>55175914
It involves making a Circle of Twilight druid, giving it a way to cast Magic Missile, and preferably also giving it two levels of fighter for Action Surge. It can do vast piles of unavoidable damage.
>>
>>55177009
You don't need homebrew, you just need to not be an EB turret. Warlocks are fine.
>>
>>55176993
forgive me father, for i am retarded
>>
>>55176993
Could a level 20 cleric just ask their deity to tell all antimagic fields in a 10 mile radius to fuck off
>>
>>55177009
make it a wizard.

Seriously, though, it would involve so many changes that you'd have no business calling it a warlock anymore. A warlock is intended to be a simpler spellcaster, just as a champion is intended to be a simpler fighter.
>>
>>55177036

What does a warlock do once they've used their 2 (T W O) fucking spell slots, other than sling cantrips? I've never played as or with a warlock, so I only know what I can see on paper.
>>
File: Untitled.png (17KB, 1049x414px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
17KB, 1049x414px
So I was hoping you guys would be able to help me identify something.

The player who owed all the models in our group quit the game and took his models with him, and I've been wanting to make a low budget replacement so we're not just playing with a bunch of quarters with our initials sharpied onto them

My plan was to just print out a bunch of monsters and generic enemies and stick them onto these little peg things until we can start building up a model collection again. Can somebody help me name what the peg things are called so I can try and order some? I know I've seen them before in some Hasbro board game before somewhere
>>
>>55177071
the hexblade (old) in my party still swings his sword like a madman.

altho eventually he'll use his last spell slot to cast fly and start blasting things
>>
>>55177082
that's a cute beholder
>>
>>55177082
pawn stands
>>
>>55177082
Don't piss off the mini guy
>>
Any cool holy symbol ideas besides putting it on the shield?
>>
>>55177060
>>55177036
Alternative question, how can I change the flavor of eldritch blast to not be terrible? "Force damage" is so non descript and boring.
>>
File: 1299817639533.gif (364KB, 285x186px) Image search: [Google]
1299817639533.gif
364KB, 285x186px
>>55177100
That's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks a bunch
>>
>>55177122
Putting it as decoration on a swords hilt
>>
>>55177082
just use your imagination scrub
>>
>>55177122
Hold it in you heart.
>>
>>55177124
But thats the best damage type in the fucking game
>>
>>55177071
You know this game isn't 100% combat, right? You get a lot of utility and social abilities from invocations and your patron features, and if you take the pact of the chain then you have even better utility. Do you find fighters boring too because almost all they do in combat is attack things?

>>55177124
Describe it as literally anything else? Mystical fire that only burns flesh, a strange beam of soul-piercing cold that not even the most arctic creatures can resist, tendrils of energy that ensnare the mind or spirit and drag it closer to the abyss, and so on. It's so fucking easy.
>>
File: 1430767511032.jpg (41KB, 411x390px) Image search: [Google]
1430767511032.jpg
41KB, 411x390px
>>55177137
Look m8, imagination is all well and good, but it fucking sucks when all your character tokens get swallowed up by Mr. Bubbles Coin Laundry and you have to start using wads of tape
>>
>>55177071
Hypnotic pattern is pretty fucking great
>>
File: Untitled.png (5KB, 224x157px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
5KB, 224x157px
>>55177096
>>
>>55177238
That number of eyes is incorrect
But i forgive it because it is adorable
>>
>>55177124

A spirit punching the enemy

>Ora ora motherfucker
>>
>>55177202

Something I've wanted to do was a corkscrew board, with A3 grid paper, and use coloured pins as minis, possibly also with pictures.
>>
File: Supernatural Flair.pdf (918KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Supernatural Flair.pdf
918KB, 1x1px
>>55177124
I found this guide on how to reflavor spells you might find useful.
>>
>>55177124
>halfling
that's a regular-ass human
>>
>Did you hear about that Twigwhistle girl, Melbie? She married a fuckin' halfling! Bless her parents, they must be in a terrible shock. She was their only child, you know. Whole bloodline, right down the drain.
>>
>>55168055
My players have made poor decisions and will be unwittingly helping a cult. Which is more interesting, a cult of Orcus or a cult of Vecna? It's already been established that the cult uses undead.
>>
>>55177352
Not if she cheats on him
>>
File: 1501610707074.png (38KB, 866x820px) Image search: [Google]
1501610707074.png
38KB, 866x820px
>>55177390
Vecna motherfucker.
>>
>>55177390
Well, do any of them watch Critical Role?

If not, do a cult of Vecna. It may seem samey to them if they do watch.
>>
>>55177390
Why not a cult of Orcus "working" with a cult of Vecna?
>>
I just got the Player's Handbook, but I can't find the Sun Soul path. Does anyone know which page it's on?
>>
>>55177410
there's a cult of orcus and a cult of vecna in CR
>>
>>55177449
I eventually want the cult leader to become a Lich with the appropriate artifact so it probably should be one or the other
>>
>>55177449
>martials and casters working together
Mass hysteria
>>
>>55177454
It's in another book. Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide
>>
>>55177461
Yeah, I just meant because of the current arc that is playing rn.
>>
>>55177477
FUCK
>>
File: moonwhat.gif (2MB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
moonwhat.gif
2MB, 320x180px
>>55172864
There is a Paladin Hexblade in my group.

He doesn't know that his sword was a damaged piece of advanced telecommunications equipment from the pre-apocalypse, and that by grabbing it (to use in a fight against a hyperbasilisk after his own sword was knocked away) he was subjected to a nanite infusion and connected to the last functioning AI of that pre-apocalypse civilization chilling out on the moon for the past 120,000,000 years. He was then petrified by the basilisk, and the nanites crystalized in his brain as he was lithified and locked the connection in place. He was a statue for 200 years and spent about 20 of them in a museum until a visiting Wizard said, "Wait, this looks like Petrification," and Stone-to-Flesh'd him.

So he's a medieval knight stuck in the Wild West trying to stab banditos with a rusty antenna while THE FUCKING MOON, a "Ghost in the Machine" patron, yells at him.
>>
>>55177485
The SCAG is not worth the money, just download the PDF and print the few relevant pages.
>>
>>55177485
Just get the PDF like the rest of us, landlubber
>>
>>55177082
I literally just use coins.
>>
>>55177505
>120,000,000 years
Massive overkill.
>>
>>55177485
We, as a society, have evolved past the concept of paying for entertainment.
>>
File: 1495402212403.jpg (57KB, 394x399px) Image search: [Google]
1495402212403.jpg
57KB, 394x399px
>when your DM runs the pre-baked campaign 100% by-the-book and doesn't attempt to work in the player's stories and goals at all
>>
>>55172737
Subtle spell makes the casting component less visible or even invisible.

A spell that became practically invisible by subtle spell since the effect was invisible already could have a deception DC of 5 or even none at all. That's fine with me too.
>>
>>55177535
When I say "apocalypse", I mean apocalypse. This wasn't one of those baby shit
>oh there was a big magical explosion and all the kingdoms fell into ruin for like two thousand years and conveniently none of their books survived above ground and there was no culture on earth that got away from it unscathed
that's all over muh fantasy.

We're talking complete scouring of all civilization from the face of the planet, 99.9% of that civilization's race fucking D E A D, the survivors reduced to wandering mutant retards and eventually differentiating into all the standard fantasy races like Elves, Dwarves, Orcs, etc., and some sped-up continental drift drastically reshaping the face of the planet.

That shit just doesn't happen over a few thousand years.
>>
>>55177572
>player think the DM is his slave and must entertain his every whim
>>
>>55177572
YOU should adapt your story to what the referee is running
>>
>>55177608
It's more of a give-and-take relationship on both sides but it actually is the DM's job to be entertaining.
>>
>>55177604
Good. I was just afraid you were going the way of your example which would have triggered me. Some people have no grasp of how long even a million years is.
>>
>>55171968
Pls provide advice on how to 3d cities
That seems awesome.
>>
>>55177645
No, it's my job to get the players invested in the fantasy novel I've been writing since I was 10 before I kill them and win the game.
>>
>>55177645
But if the DM isn't having fun whats the fucking point
>>
>>55177608
>"Hey dm can we do this thing? Everyone in the group would like to."
>"No, this is MY game and you're going to sit through what I want you to do and you have no say in it!"
Shitty railroading faggot dm detected
>>
>>55177677
It was a shitpost, but nice digits friend
>>
>>55177673
What kind of shit DM doesn't have fun integrating people's story into a campaign?
>>
>>55177702
Idk I don't DM
>>
>>55172832
Most D&D settings use the Astral plane, not the Ether, but basically that's how it goes.
>>
>>55175529
To be fair that's kind of more funny that way.
"PH'NGLUI MGLW'NAFH which is Elvish for your dick is small!"
>>
>>55175671
That's... super edgelord-y seeming my dude.
>>
File: 1497158099335.jpg (51KB, 400x323px) Image search: [Google]
1497158099335.jpg
51KB, 400x323px
>"None may leave these lands unless Strahd von Zarovich wishes it."
>"My father went missing when I was a child, is it possible he was lured into Barovia and trapped?"
>".....no, that's not in the book."

If you can defend this sort of thing, like actually defend it, no devil's advocate contrarian shit, then you're a bad DM, no questions asked.
>>
>>55177800
>nooshphere
Is that
noosh phere
ir
noo shpere
>>
>>55176685
Bear in mind, the spiders the Druids can turn into from the Monster Manual are still pretty big.
They can climb on walls and ceilings, sure, but walls and ceilings tend to not have cover--the main rule of Stealth in 5e is that you can't hide if you can be seen clearly. That means you need visual cover of some kind.
So any place where there's light on the ceilings is basically difficult to infiltrate that way.

But seriously don't let your Druid turn into anything smaller than like... Small or maybe Tiny. If you let them turn into something that fits in a teacup, you have nobody to blame but yourself.
>>
>>55177677

> NO YOU CAN'T PLAY A MAGICAL CATGIRL YOU FUCKING WEEABOO DEGENERATE

Is acceptable in my opinion.
>>
>>55177808
not defending it but you should start dming desu
>>
>>55177887
Poster he was replying to, actually one of my players tried to play a werewolf, not a lycanthrop, but she wanted her race to be werewolf
>>
>>55177887
Yeah, of course. I'm just saying a dm that isn't willing to be flexible with how the players want to play and what they want to do is a shitty dm.
>>
>>55177912
> I wanna be a magical wolfgirl

No problem, Lemme find my copy of Werewolf: The Apocalypse or Fate Core
>>
>>55177808

How would you do this btw?

>Easy Mode
>Father shows up in the March of the dead
>Medium Mode
>Father's body is possessed by a revenant
>God Mode
>The role of Escher, the male vampire concubine is now played by the man's father
>>
>>55177962
Are you advocating for magical wolfgirls?
>>
>>55177962
>Werewolf: The Apocalypse
Captain Planet: the Game
>>
File: 1504098937864.jpg (30KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
1504098937864.jpg
30KB, 450x450px
>>55177985

Nope, I'm just saying maybe D&D isn't the right game to be playing a Wolfgirl

>>55178010
I never thought of that, had a sensible chuckle. Thanks Anon
>>
Do you let players come up with their own command words for magical items, or do you set the command words yourself?
>>
>>55176685

Oh, I've thought of this long and har

Something like a pit of poison gas

>Constitution saving throw for half damage
>Minimum of 1
>Spider instantly dies and big fat druid shows up in the middle of the corridor

Spider's natural predators
>Bigger spiders or bats
>Oh but he cast Pass without a Trace
>Tressym familiar

Skill checks!
>Inteligence Checks not to get lost
>Strength checks to escape sticky flooring
>Dexterity checks to slide through tiny cracks
>Medicine checks to save the dying NPC you just placed here with oh so valuable bait information that if only someone with oposable digits were here to save them

That Guy at my table might be a Druid that the DM is enamoured over
>>
>>55178083
Tryssym don't have truesight do they? Only see invisible
>>
>>55177665
Not that guy, but AutoCAD has a pretty nice 3d building planner for stuff like that. Shit renderer though, and you can't sell your stuff.
>>
Will Xanthar's Guide to Everything be a must-buy?
>>
>>55178061
When DM'ing curse of Strahd I kept an entire casefile of character sheets for significant NPC's the players would have the option to play as if they ever wanted to switch up a little and give their characters some direly needed downtime days

One of them, Emile's mate whatserface, had a featured role

Basically a Wolf Totem Barbarian that had her rage refluffed as her turning into her hybrid wolf form.
Alternatively, just play a refluffed Tabaxi with bonus to Str instead of Dex
>>
>>55178116
They see through pass without a trace while I'm DM'ing.
>>
>>55178134
Considering it's the first major expansion to 5e's ruleset since it came out three years ago.... yes.
>>
>>55178152
Okay, you're the DM
But pass without trace isn't invisibility
>>
>>55178083

Aditional Skill Checks!

>A humble river stream that a human sized person can casually hop through, but spiders not so much!
>Possibily treasonous guards in the process of talking themselves into not betraying the guard room after all
>Lots of human sized treasure sinking into a hole actually mimic

But seriously, if you think that's bad, wait until the druid starts casting Wind Walk, and fart clouding through your dungeons.
>>
>>55178192
>>55178192
>>55178192
>>55178192
>>55178192
>>
>>55178195
Pass without a trace allows for an exception of tracking through magical means.
The tressym tracks through his magic senses.

I'm not going to pretend I'm unarguably right, just that the ruling is out there.

And I admit the last one is more for my sake than all the time I have ever fantasized about killing the Druid. No, I'm not the DM for him (I am for another group though)
Thread posts: 478
Thread images: 44

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.