[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 349
Thread images: 33

D&D 5th Ed. General Discussion

>Unearthed Arcana: Three-Pillar Experience
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-ThreePillarXP.pdf

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Alternate Trove:
https://dnd.rem.uz/5e%20D%26D%20Books/

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread:
>>55157084

What are the classes or races that make you groan when you see them hit table? Why so? What work arounds are available to make it not so much of a painful experience?

Inspired by the necromancy wizards / summoned druids talk in the last general - how do you tackle archetypes that bog down the game.
>>
>>55164079
>Inspired by the necromancy wizards / summoned druids talk in the last general - how do you tackle archetypes that bog down the game.
Why did WotC make this shit work this way if it's so reviled? Do they not playtest their shit?
>>
>What are the classes or races that make you groan when you see them hit table?
Tiefling and Dragonborn for races. I just don't like how they seem to show up in every single fucking adventuring group.
>>
>>55164079
>What are the classes or races that make you groan when you see them hit table? Why so? What work arounds are available to make it not so much of a painful experience?
None, I don't play with shitlords
>Inspired by the necromancy wizards / summoned druids talk in the last general - how do you tackle archetypes that bog down the game.
By not playing with shitlords.
>>
File: 1446094828537.jpg (13KB, 238x212px) Image search: [Google]
1446094828537.jpg
13KB, 238x212px
>>55164079
>how do you tackle archetypes that bog down the game.
No Summoners Need Apply
Anything with Death/Shadow/Night/Blood in the title somewhere, and UA full classes that aren't revised Ranger. I have set races for a setting, and if it doesn't allow for Tabaxi then fuck right off with your whining about it.
>>
What are some good barbarian backstories
>>
>>55164138
Tieflings seem like ideal adventurers, since they're pretty much guaranteed to be exiled from normal society.

Dragonborn are much harder to fit into the world, but I feel like most of the bad experiences people have are caused by bad players.
>>
>>55164138
It's crazy how people want to play as sexy devils or dragonmen in a fantasy RPG where the other basic races are hyoomins and Tolkiens, right?
>>
I don't mind tiefling and dragonborn, but fuck drow and their sunlight sensitive bullshit.

No, I'm not making everything dark od indoors because your race has shit eyes.
>>
>>55164133
Maybe it was tested around the idea of a 2-3 person party? Where players can use summons to add a bit of fodder and action economy to their side? Fuck, I dunno. We've got a necromancer in the party now whom I'm sure intends to have zombie minions, but luckily we're low enough level that it's not an issue.

Yet.
>>
>>55164158
>sexy devils
Hardly sexy since most settings they're hated and ostracized
>>
>>55164174
Why don't they fuckin' wear tinted lenses?
>>
>>55164138
dragonborn is just a cringe race to begin with
>>
>>55164185
This.
>>
Does anyone else hate how easy it is to get access to resurrection spells?

Death is already pretty damn difficult to happen, but it's even less of an issue because a fucking third level spell fixes it
>>
>>55164180
Like the last thread pointed out, just have them treat their zombies as a singular unit with one roll. All of you shut the fuck up with your whining.
>>
>>55164079
Remind the Necromancer player that it's a team game, and that there are other players, and that there's more to Necromancy than a whole bunch of skeletons that cost all of his spell slots to maintain?

Honestly if he were smart he'd just keep a few as fodder and replace them as-needed. I'd probably allow a houserule that he could 'capture' disabled Undead of a type he can summon, i.e., if he made some and then stuffed them in a sealed crate, he could use them to replenish his small cadre of skeletons later so he doesn't feel like he's being punished for being a Necromancer.

And then, when he gets the Demiplane spell, he can stuff it full of skeletons so that, later on, he can unleash a swarm of them (after setting up a Magic Circle against Undead to protect the party and himself, of course.)

Honestly I don't see why this is seen as difficult. It's easy to just talk to your player and make a ruling that keeps it fun for everyone.
>>
Is there any way for a level 19-20 sorcerer to get two level 9 spells known instead of just 1?
>>
>>55164185
Yeah, got to admit, they look really bad. Nothing wrong with plain old Lizardfolk, but this is too far. Too Deviantart OC.
>>
>>55164208
A little bit, it definitely takes away from the sense of danger
>>
>>55164133
I mean it's really not that hard to run them. You can't give them advanced orders. The most you can do is 'attack this guy'. Any tactic more advanced would be difficult to convey.
>>
File: 1453308288389.jpg (282KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
1453308288389.jpg
282KB, 800x800px
>Party of 5
>Myself and the GM are the only two people who have consistently shown up to every session
>>
>Summons
Go for the 4e route, make them minions

1 health, high defenses, high chances to hit, fixed damage output.
>>
>>55164208
I've always banned resurrection spells in my games and I've been DMing for over a decade.
>>
>>55164208

Nah, it's easy to stop by restricting access to diamonds. A 100gp diamond doesn't become worth 1000gp just because you payed that, it has to be a bigass diamond.
>>
Would you say ceremony is supposed to consume 25gp worth of powdered silver?
>>
>>55164200
>>55164185
>>55164138
I hate Dragonborn with a passion.
Whoever thought it was a good idea at WotC seems to forget that the whole point of the Dragon, as a creature, is that they're rare and majestic.
Having Steve the Baker from down the road look almost exactly like Magmatongue the Destroyer of Worlds is really fuckin difficult to deal with in a story sense.

I like Tieflings, but I reflavor them to setting, including mechanical changes as needed.
>>
>>55164158
No, but they seem to attract a LOT of really shitty fucking players, especially the dragonborn.
They aren't inherently bad ideas because only idiots with zero analytical ability believes stuff like that can trust be objectively bad, but a wide majority of players I've met who wanted to play dragonborn choose the race in lieu of actually making the character interesting in any other way.
In one particular game the dwarf player, who was every bit the stereotypical fantasy dwarf character, STILL managed to have more personality and more interesting stuff with him then the dragonborn player that game despite nearly following the fantasy stereotype 100%.
>>
>>55164226

I prefer making mine a little more... Draconic.
>>
>>55164232
I prefer the Seinfeld sourcebook, myself.
>>
>>55164133
Most summon heavy Druid is UA to be fair, but honestly, I basically assume it was barely touched - or it was stuff people hand waved away, or hyper competent players who did everything quickly. Let's be honest, the play testing in 5e is wonky. There's stuff that's blatantly wrong.
>>
>>55164239
The default in 5e is for monsters to simply deal their average damage.
I only roll monster damage when their average would actually down a PC otherwise, and when they crit.
>>
>>55164264
How do you usually flavor your tieflings?
>>
>>55164138
And for second part of the question: how can it be done "right", or mitigate your annoyance with it?
>>
>>55164174
3.5 had a 10GP item for that, they were literally just smoked glass (naturally made by using a fucking lantern) and some wood or metal.

But seriously how can one best build a cavalier to replace the party tank?
>>
>>55164285
>Not rolling damage and health for enemies
boo
>>
>>55164265
Well yeah that's because the dwarf fantasy stereotype is a strong one with plenty to pull from. What even is a dragonborne?
>>
>>55164309
I actually roll their hit points sometimes. I find it makes for much more interesting combats, especially when there are many of the same type of creature.
The tradeoff is just time and effort.
>>
>>55164208
>>55164227
>>55164244
I tend to take a middle road. Diamonds are rare, obviously, which is one restriction.
The other is that I require a check to resurrect. Caster level for older editions, caster stat for 5e.
It's easy to explain away, too--If they die and go to heaven, there's a decent chance they'll be too busy in the palace of blowjobs and chocolate to want to deal with that being alive shit.
If they're going to the bad place, they're probably chained down and being shown a spiked dildo collection, so pulling them away is difficult.
Either way, it's a test of spellcaster skill to yoink them away from death. Simple enough.
>>
>>55164184
Cause it doesn't work that way.
You know what DOES work? Not going outside at fucking mid day.
>>
>>55164184
Its a supernatural affliction, not merely a sunlight sensitivity. It's why when drow wildshape, they still suffer from sunlight sensitivity.
..Which makes perfect sense for Drow, but is fucking weird when you look at things like Kobolds. They just are apparently sensitive to sunlight, but have the same 'well you're fucked now'.

The other part of it is that 'just wear tinted lenses' is too easy a way to hand wave around a defining weakness of a race. If you're going to do that, it might as well not be there.
>>
File: 1470419586425.jpg (593KB, 2500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1470419586425.jpg
593KB, 2500x1500px
How do YOU handle wilderness adventures, or travel?

Do you take the hour by hour approach to travel, or the montage? Describe the surroundings in detail or focus on what the party is doing? Specially prepare encounters beforehand or roll randomly? Or do you skip travel entirely?
>>
>>55164244
what about Wish?
>>
>>55164365
Wizard of Oz
>>
>>55164362
Keep in mind that kobolds specifically have Pack Tactics to offset their sunlight sensitivity in combat.
>>
>>55164265
My rule of thumb for making a character and advice is make the personality, backstory all that. Then pick a race and class only slightly tweaking the character to fit that.
>>
>>55164225
So long as you have 9th level slots available when you level up you can just swap one of your lower level known spells for a level 9 one. You can get a second level 9 spell the instant your character gains access to them you just can't cast more than 1 per day.
>>
>>55164184
I rule it as more than just eyesight

The sun burns, it's incredibly distracting not just because it hurts your eyes, but your skin feels like it's constantly badly sunburnt. Some sunglasses isn't going to fix it, and going to the extent that it would to stop effecting you would end up giving you disadvantage anyways because you've just covered yourself head to toe in super thick cloth and can barely move around in it
>>
File: Fafhrd Grey Mouser.jpg (49KB, 430x591px) Image search: [Google]
Fafhrd Grey Mouser.jpg
49KB, 430x591px
My campaign Races: Variant humans.
Northmen -typical large Nord types, can put both initial points in STR
Southerners - swarthy Italian-ish types who can put both initial points in CHA
Kleshites - Amazonian jungle types who can put both initial points in DEX
Quarmalians - pale underground dwelling slavers who have controlled their own breeding.
Can put both initial points in INT or CHA and have darkvision, but have penalties in light and negatives to persuasion with non Q's (but + in intimidation).
Mingols - Essentially mongolian steppes raiders, classes with Heavy Armor proficiency lose it but gain +1 to hit with a weapon of choice. Can put both initial points in DEX.
Eevanmarensi - decadent, indulgent easterners, completely hairless, can put both initial points in INT
Ghouls - savages and cannibals, their flesh and blood is completely transparent, making them look exactly like skeletons when naked. can put both points in CON. + to intimidate/- to persuade
Simorgyans - race living in a hidden undersea city, can breathe water

Current party: 8th level Mingol Champion, Eastern Trickster, Kleshite Ranger, Southerner Priest, Northman Barbarian.
>>
>>55164263
No. You just need to buy 25gp worth of powdered silver, now you're able to cast ceremony. It doesn't say its consumed, therefore, its not.
>>
>>55164295
Depends on the setting.
Sorry, not trying to meme on you, but that's the only answer.
In the current setting they're black-eyed people born from Human stuck on nights where the moons--there are two--eclipse one another, which is traditionally a bad omen. They tend to have horn-like bone projections on their foreheads or joints and sharp teeth, and can sometimes have extra or too few fingers, that sort of thing. Males often have extra horns on their chins or cheeks, and they tend to be larger. Females can sometimes have tails. Both can occasionally have vestigial wings, but they're useless things that hang off their shoulders and don't even have nerves, nevermind muscles. They're generally trimmed like fingernails unless someone's trying to make a statement. They also breathe more shallowly than normal, and can go without breathing at length.

Mechanically, their Fire resistance is swapped to Cold resistance and they have an added ability that they can hold their breath for 10+Con minutes instead of the default 1+Con.

Socially, especially among Humans, they are sort of off-putting but people still consider them Human. "Tiefling" is a slur, like calling someone "Negro"
The polite euphemism, especially among high society is "Born under an eclipse" or "Eclipsed" and they're considered to be poor unfortunates in a patronizing manner.
Basically, the setting thinks they're weird, but not in the full-on lynching sense.
>>
>>55164378
Oh absolutely, but they don't have a mystical affliction. So when drow wildshape into an animal, you can go 'oh yeah sunlight sensitivity still applies because of that', but kobolds just .. Have sensitive eyes. That continue to be sensitive no matter their shape.
>>
Two questions:

In order to use a sneak attack, you must be using a Finesse weapon. The PHB says that when attacking with Finesse weapons, you use your choice of your Strength or Dexterity modifier for the Attack and Damage Rolls. The Barbarian's reckless attack gives you advantage on melee weapon Attack rolls using Strength.

Does this mean that a Barbarian/Rogue multiclass can Reckless Attack with a Finesse weapon, choose to use strength with the Finesse weapon, and gain the benefits of both Reckless Attack and Sneak Attack?
>>
>>55164429
Seems weird considering the spell makes holy water and how holy water is made in the PHB
>>
>>55164497
yes.
>>
>>55164497
And since I forgot, here's the followup question: what the fuck does a Reckless Sneak Attack look like?
>>
>>55164497
Yes
But it's dangerously cheesy
>>
>>55164532
Diving lunge at the kidneys with a poniard or rapier?
>>
>>55164532
Over-extending to reach the vital point while exposing your own.
Are you sure you want to be playing games based on imagination? You don't seem to have one.
>>
>>55164532

Just fucking shanking the bastard.
>>
>>55164497
>>55164532
"You explode into sudden motion from an unexpected angle, throwing your entire body weight into your blow."
There you go, super easy. Sneak attacks are just 'unexpected' attacks, that's why it works if your enemy is engaged with an ally or such, because you're coming from an unexpected angle or while their attention is distracted. In the case of reckless sneak attacks, you're making risky gambits in order to strike where they wouldn't expect - probably because they don't think you'd throw yourself onto their sword in order to get at their kidneys.

But yes - this is why barbarogue is a meme. Because they interact so well.

>>55164514
Welcome to UA.
>>
>>55164532
Attacking in a way thay makes you more likely to hit vitals but leaves you open to attack I'd guess
>>
What is generally accepted as the maximum girth of an elven penis? My DM insists their penises are unusually long and unusually slender, but I don't want to be deprived of the attack bonus a wider circumference adds. Only the Barbarian has that right now and he's being a cunt about it.
>>
>the character you never got to play because you're stuck as a dm
What's her class and race, /5eg/?
>>
If a player wanted to multiclass into warlock at some point of the campaign, how much time should be spent roleplaying or focusing on the acquisition of their patron?
>>
File: 1378782369896.png (257KB, 500x366px) Image search: [Google]
1378782369896.png
257KB, 500x366px
>>55164574
>her
>>
>>55164582
None. They are just munchkin-ing, and your tiresome fluffery will just annoy them.
>>
>>55164491
See I always considered it a mental thing when it comes to wildshapes and such. I mean if you've spent your entire life being fucked by bright light and your life is somewhat defined by it via being nocturnal or whatever, even if your body can now deal with the light it's so drilled into your head that the disconnect still messes with you. Like you still avoid looking at bright things even if they don't hurt your eyes anymore, you're still mentally used to judging distances and depth with your shitty eyes and it fucks with your estimations of distance, like a lesser version of a blind man suddenly being able to see, the dude won't just be able to instantly adapt to suddenly having a whole new sense.

It's bullshit but it lets me handwave it easier.
>>
>>55164582
As much or as little as the player and DM want.
>>
>>55164582
The PHB is super nonspecific about that. Some warlocks are thrust upon their pacts without any prior knowledge simply by being in the right place at the right time. Others devote their life to communing with their patron to be bestowed with a sliver of their power.

Thats a DM call for sure.
>>
>>55164582
As much as every multiclass should

You DO require your players to have an RP reason and seek out the ability to multiclass, don't you?
>>
>>55164574
>>
Half-elven druids.

>Why so?
It's the only class/race combo my ex ever played so there's bad memories intrinsically attached to it that I haven't been able to get over.
>>
>>55164571
roll a d12 for length and d8 for girth
>>
I fucked up. My level 5 party just got 10 thousand gold. How do I balance this?
>>
File: Youknownothing.jpg (36KB, 339x244px) Image search: [Google]
Youknownothing.jpg
36KB, 339x244px
>>55164608
I personally disallow multiclassing.
I don't enjoy the mental gymnastics players put on to justify that gay class-mechanic combo they read about on the forums.
>>
>>55164154
One of my favorite character concepts was just a really REALLY cheesed off peasant. Like, the heady combination of uncontrolled anger issues, poor quality of life, nagging wife, and kobolds stealing his daughter all combined to bring him to the edge.
>Goats caught the pox.
>There's a leaky roof tile 'bove my cot.
>Mallory won't stop her bellyachin'.
>Brigands stole me last copper.
>Tavern ran out of ale, AGAIN.
>GODDAMN potatoes have been blighted.
>Daughter went out to pick 'shrooms in death-kill gulch and never came back, now I have to pay some SHIT FOR BRAINS ADVENTURERS TO GET HER SO MALLORY WELL SHUT HER FUCKIN' TRAP
>ROOF IS STILL LEAKING
>HOW HARD IS IT TO GET ONE MEASLY FUCKIN' BARREL OF ALE
>he sees the brigands again
>pic
>wakes up in a sea of blood, holding an axe, surrounded by dead bandits.

Think Michael Douglas in Falling Down.
>>
>>55164628
Oh, thank you.
>>
>>55164574
Currently I really want to play a Oath of Conquest/Infernal Pact character. I've never quite been able to decide the race - kind of want to go Tiefling to double down on hellishness (and get Hellish Rebuke), or Dragonborn, or just roll v. human because of course right.
>>
>>55164630
Just roll with it, shit happens
>>
File: tumblr_np13l3UDeF1sazby5o10_1280.jpg (297KB, 916x1410px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_np13l3UDeF1sazby5o10_1280.jpg
297KB, 916x1410px
>>55164574
>foreverDM
I just want to play a pirate
>>
>>55164630
If they are flashy in town, have them be ambushed by rogues attempting to steal it. Stealth checks if they dont post watch. Steal it back and leave a breadcrumb, turn it into an adventure.
>>
>>55164630
If they can't buy magic items, who cares? Let them buy a small ship and get around, and the crew costs will only add expenses.

If they CAN buy magic items, 10k will barely buy a single significant magic item.
>>
>>55164630
Introduce the fantasy IRS.
>>
>>55164636

Could just flavor the extra mechanics into the base class.
>>
>>55164027 #
>silent assassination with something that is not easily detected (if the blowdart is removed)
>like in real life, used to deliver sedatives at range to targets that shall not be harmed, but need to be caught, such as wild animals some rich fuck wants for his private zoo, or a target that needs to be questioned / held hostage for ransom / political pressure
The blowgun isn't really a combat weapon, but there are various scenarios I can imagine it being very useful in.
>>
>>55164672
In the setting if they dedicate the time they can find someone selling any magic item they want.
>>
>>55164295
A little pepper and salt is sufficient, but they taste great on a bed of nestling greens with onions, tomatoes and basil.
>>
>>55164639
Underrated post.
>>
File: 1366692076094.png (1MB, 441x603px) Image search: [Google]
1366692076094.png
1MB, 441x603px
to give a Beholder legendary resistance or to not

is it overkill in his own lair?
>>
Where does one go to find a group online. My group meets twice a month and I need to fill the void.
>>
>>55164762
Depends on how powerful the beholder needs to be for the world. If hes guarding something important then yes, Id say go for it.
>>
>>55164766
r/LFG
>>
File: 319749024531873792.png (7KB, 74x96px) Image search: [Google]
319749024531873792.png
7KB, 74x96px
>>55164776
sorta, there are 3 Ioun Stones in the region (Leadership, Intellect, Insight) and he is in possession of one.

all the powers and factions are either hunting or fighting for the other 2. most leadership believe with all 3 stones they will be the most complete ruler and be able to control the whole region. the Beholder just happens to work from the shadows.

so yeah, he's a pretty important potential bad guy.
>>
What are some important districts to include in a city?

Obviously places like merchant's district, temple district, some sort of government area. But what else can I do?
>>
>>55164762
Look at it this way; anything that doesn't have Legendary resistance tends to have about a 50% chance to get wrecked by any party remotely near its CR, every time their wizard takes an action.

Assuming the wizard isn't being played by Twitch chat or something.

If you want for it to seem scary but ultimately turn out extremely easy to beat, then you don't need to add legendary resistance to it.
>>
File: e0028947_4a893511a8548.jpg (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
e0028947_4a893511a8548.jpg
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>55164814
The local barracks.
Dockyards obviously if it's a port city.
Theatre/Entertainment.
Some kind of education disctrict. Grand city libraries, academies and such.
>>
>>55164843

Stop acting like this is 3.5e, wizards are strong but they're not just gonna delete a person in 1 round.
>>
>>55164897
I sure wish this was 3.5e. They should have just stopped updating after that.
>>
>>55164138
You realize you're playing a fantasy game, right?
>>
>>55164812
I'd say that if the beholder has a fucking piece of the triforce he had better have legendary resistance. If the party has a face write in a diplomatic option.
>>
>>55164814
>seperate merchant, government and temple district
Just create cities like the one I live and those around me. You have a bigass cathedral at the center of the city, the market place will form not too far from it naturally, and the town hall and the patrician houses will be located at the brink of the market square. From there you'll have the housing of the lower classes and various workshops surrounding the 'core' with a few smaller churches and (lower income) trade spots sprinkled throughout. Surrounding the 'worker's belt' you might have clustered slums and flophouses where the daylabourers live, and the yardlands farms, orchards and ranches surround the rest.
>>
>>55164913

Go back to /pfg/, we don't want any of your broken ass 3.x system over here.
>>
>>55164935
Enjoy your rubber pants, training wheels, and steel wool gloves.
>>
I am very sorry to announce that I have to cancel this campaign. I will be shutting down OrcPub.com and OrcPub2.com very soon as well. I may reuse the infrastructure to support other games, we'll see. Sorry about any inconvenience this causes, I hope everyone understands I had nothing but good intentions, to help grow and strengthen the 5e community. I poured my heart and soul into OrcPub and received very little in return.

Sorry, I should have mentioned this is due to legal issues. I don't want to go into more detail because I don't want to open myself to further issues.

>I poured my heart and soul into OrcPub and received very little in return.
>>
File: images (21).jpg (13KB, 324x279px) Image search: [Google]
images (21).jpg
13KB, 324x279px
>MFW my character has begun work on making the bastard offspring of a wand of magic missile and a crossbow with shit he scavenged from ancient constructs
>MFW I have enough materials to equip 40 or so men with them, given enough time
Murderhobo deterrent, here we come.
>>
>>55164962
OrcPub sounds like a custom channel on F-List that is centered around raping elves.
>>
>>55164962
I get that it's news, but why is it posted every single thread?
Also do people get to demand their money back? It's not like the average consumer had reason to believe that shit was fraudulent, is there? Falsely claiming a license isn't really fair to blame on the consumer.
>>
>>55164960

I'm only here because there isn't a 4eg
>>
>>55164977
How do you mean, murderhobo deterrent?
>>
>>55165023
Are you going to pay to pursue legal recourse? I doubt it.
>>
File: 1494672768140.png (2MB, 1376x1064px) Image search: [Google]
1494672768140.png
2MB, 1376x1064px
Eldritch Knight is better than Bladesinger
>>
>>55165044
>I charge the peasant
>He sees you, draws a strange device. Roll initiative
>You get blasted by 6 bolts of magical energy, taking [damage]
>You slash your sword deep into the peasant, he falls to the ground dead
>A small group of peasants see this, each one of them starts drawing that same device and pointing them at you
Give your town a bunch of magic missile pistols
>>
>>55165023
If enough people gave enough money there might be grounds for a class action, but I doubt any single person who bought in will see any of the money they gave.
>>
>>55165071
No, I had never heard of the place until news of it going down.
I'm just sort of... mildly bothered by the injustice of it, in a general sense? It doesn't have anything to do with me personally.
>>
>>55164621
Sorry to hear it Matt Mercer
>>
>>55165073
I've never seen anyone play Eldritch Knight before, what's it like?
>>
File: 1487298882261.png (352KB, 1280x700px) Image search: [Google]
1487298882261.png
352KB, 1280x700px
>>55165073
>Martial Subclass finally better than a Caster Subclass
JUSTICE
>>
>>55165100
Is there some kind of drama going on behind Reddit Plays D&D that you know about and I don't?
>>
>>55165074
Yup, pretty much.
>>
Requesting lost artifacts of greyghast
>>
>>55165127
His foreskin
>>
>>55165105
Its really fun and strong
>>
>>55165100
This >>55165117 I figured those two had married since they were engaged last I knew. Is it that Mercer finally got tired of being cucked by Talisen or did Travis finally establish dominance and take all the chicks as his wenches?
>>
Any tips for a first time DM? I feel really unprepared
>>
>>55165149

How so?
>>
File: 1497250244264.jpg (59KB, 472x372px) Image search: [Google]
1497250244264.jpg
59KB, 472x372px
I would really like to brew a class for which I have gathered many ideas already, and would cover an 'archetype' that has not been covered by the existing classes or UA yet. However, /5eg/ and by proxy /tg/s disposition towards homebrew has deterred me from actually doing so and presenting it to people.
Should I just stop being a bitch and deal with the humiliation of hundred autists ripping my stuff to shreds?
>>
>>55165149
How is it fun?
>>
>>55165164
>I would really like to brew a class
No
>>
>>55165160
Don't say "um" every other word or one of your players will jab a knife in your neck eventually
>>
>>55165164
never stop believing friend. Theres always a DM whose willing to listen out there somewhere.
>>
>>55165161
>>55165177

you can have a weapon bonded to you which is really nice.

War Magic is a pretty strong ability. it lets you cast a cantrip then take a melee attack, allowing you to deal with ranged and melee foes.

nothing beats going into the fray, blade warding then taking a shot at someone with all those ASI's or feats going to work
>>
>>55165164
Just do what you want, man. 4chan is full of fags with stupid opinions.
>>
>>55165160
Try not to stress too much, have a quick reference of some encounters to run in case your players get into a sticky situation.
>>
>>55165160
Never would-post. If you ever say "character X would you", while describing something that is happening at that moment in time, I will know. And I will hunt you down and beat you with an English teacher until you stop.
>>
>>55165209

Why would you cast a cantrip then melee instead of attacking 2 to 4 times with a weapon? Especially if said weapon is a greatsword and doubly true if you have GWM.

Seems like a wasted feature.
>>
File: Henry.jpg (482KB, 2000x1866px) Image search: [Google]
Henry.jpg
482KB, 2000x1866px
>>55165105
Fighter gets Wizard spells (only abjuration and evocation) and several nice feats. Also get d10 for hit point and multiple attacks like any other Fighter.
>>
>>55165232
Would do Y, rather. I have failed.
>>
File: 1416001207406.jpg (14KB, 405x442px) Image search: [Google]
1416001207406.jpg
14KB, 405x442px
Ugh. D&D? More like Pee&Poo.

Haha got em.
>>
>player's character plummets to his death after failing an athletics check
>death is permanent in this setting
>player takes his shirt off, screams for about a minute, and leaves the house without another word
>he left his shirt
I think I'm done
>>
>>55165277
>DM claims the shirt as a trophy
>>
>>55165277

I don't blame him anon that's fucking retarded.
>>
File: 1482170942167.gif (2MB, 236x224px) Image search: [Google]
1482170942167.gif
2MB, 236x224px
>>55165277
>>
>>55165164
We are fine with homebrew. Just be aware that its issues will be ruthlessly pointed out, and that getting defensive gets nowhere.
>>
>>55164897
It's not at all as crazy as in 3.5e or Pathfinder.
Since a beholder is CR 13, we're talking about a party with an average level close to 13 though, which is very high. I don't know if you've played both D&D 3.5e and D&D 5e campaigns in that level range like I have, but while 5e is certainly a huge improvement over 3.5e in terms of balance, there are still plenty of 5e crowd control spells at that high of a PC level with very drastic effects that can more than absolutely shit on creatures without legendary resistance.
And if you hit a save they're not proficient in, you're looking at a really high success rate.

For a beholder, you're gonna want to use something that's on a str, con, or dex save, though.

You could simply restrain it further than 120 ft away, with Telekinesis. Or use Flesh to Stone.
Those are just examples.
>>
>>55165287
I was actually going to say something but he did this before I opened my mouth.

>>55165283
I don't know what he's going to do with it, none of us touched it for the rest of the session.
>>
>>55165245
There're some pretty good cantrips.

Then you get to cast a spell with your attack action, but that's at 18th level. Doubtful if most campaigns get that far.
>>
Have you ever jerked off while imagining someone's PC in a campaign you played in or was the DM for? I'm really curious.

It doesn't count if it's a character you made yourself.
>>
File: b14.jpg (40KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
b14.jpg
40KB, 600x600px
>>55165341
>Tfw forever DM
>Have to restrain from putting too many tall, strong women into setting
>>
>>55165316

Even if you're using a SCAG cantrip, you'd get more out of making multiple attacks with GWM
>>
>>55165369
I do know your pain
>tfw tall and strong yourself
Manlets are lucky in this one respect
>>
>>55165396
It's a gift and a curse
>>
>>55165369
>>55165396
>>55165409
I have no idea what the fuck you're talking about
>>
>>55165446
You have to be 18 to post here.
>>
>>55165476
I'm more confused about relating amazons to your own stature. I, for one, enjoy being huge while the girl is small and delicate. Fortunately, I can also enjoy a wide variety of female types, from slender to fluffy and short to tall.
>>
>>55165446
>I like tall strong women
>They are my fetish
>As a forever DM I have to restrain from putting too many in my games
>Another anon shares said fetish
>He is tall and strong so his chances of find what he wants are far slimmer
See attached picture for illustration
>>
>want to introduce party to bad guys main henchman who has been sending thugs after them for some time
>don't want party to be able to attack him
>decided I want it to happen at a lords fancy ball, with dancing and music and feasting
How do I ensure my party don't just go 'fuck it' and attack the dude?

I feel like a shitload of guards surrounding the hall could work, but it's a bit obvious. Should I just trust them to do the smart thing?
>>
>>55165530
Any Lord's ball would have security and weapons surrendered at the door
>>
>>55165530
>Should I just trust them to do the smart thing?
A DM should never, ever do this.
>>
>>55165530
Really strong guards and wards put up - whoever's in charge had heard rumours of a plot to attack a dignitary. Nothing comes of it, but if the PCs start shit have the guards assume they're who the rumours were referring to.
>>
>>55165519
>He is tall and strong so his chances of find what he wants are far slimmer
This is the part that doesn't make any sense. Whatever, guys, you've just got to open your mind up to more. Then you can always insert your fetish and nobody will ever know.
>>
>>55165245
>>55165378
Not him.
From 7th to 10th using a cantrip + 1 attack is better than 2 attacks.
Green-Flame Blade is a melee weapon attack, so it still works with GWM. Green-Flame Blade (5th-10th level) deals the weapon damage plus 1d8, and 1d8 + Int modifier to second creature.

At 10th you get Eldritch Strike, and at 11th you get Extra Attack (2):
1. Hit a creature 3 times
2. On the next turn, you cast Hold Person on it while having disadvantage
3. Action Surge for 3 crits

Sure, 3 attacks are better than a cantrip + 1 attack, but you're not supposed to be using it anymore.
>>
File: 1503464230582.jpg (36KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1503464230582.jpg
36KB, 800x600px
>>55165519
That's kinda hot.
>>
>>55165578
Wait, do you honestly think that just because you have a fetish you don't look at any other girls? Refer back to >>55165476
>>
>>55165611
I know right, it's also the reason I normally make shorter characters
>>
>>55165589

Designing a feature to become redundant is retarded.
>>
>>55165616
On the side, I'm suggesting you get more fetishes so you don't ever have to hold back. However, the entire point of this tangent was how I'm confused as to why being a big dude means it's somehow harder to get a big gal. They're unrelated.
>>
File: 1503096947583.jpg (16KB, 323x326px) Image search: [Google]
1503096947583.jpg
16KB, 323x326px
>>55165665
>I'm confused as to why being a big dude means it's somehow harder to get a big gal. They're unrelated.
They're entirely related because wanting a tall strong woman means taller than you normally? Is it really that hard to understand, you do realize there are not a lot of tall women out there and even less so if you are tall yourself.
>>
>>55164366
not the poster, but ressurection and wish can both fuck right off. I've never been in a D&D game that used them that I didn't hate.
>>
>>55165530
Very well dressed guards. They are in formal uniforms, but their weapons look damned capable. Have there be consequences to if they decide to attack him - he may be a bad guy, sure, but what's his role in the area, and what's his reputation? Depending on that, he might even be in an area of heightened security or have his own security detail still - think of things like VIP sections at night clubs.

And fancy affairs should require fancy clothing, and no weapons. You might have someone that can get away with a ceremonial weapon or something like that if they are in good standing, but the local nobility probably don't want a bunch of damned near vagrants coming in armed to the teeth.
>>
>>55165690
Most people are going to just read "wanting a tall woman" as "wanting a tall woman", not "TALLER THAN YOU" - these are different things.
>>
>>55164574
Human Barbarian, UA Path of the Ancestral Guardian
>>
>>55165653
It doesn't become redundant, it just stops being the best DPR. There are moments where using a cantrip can be better than attacking 3 times. Minor Illusion to stop dumb creatures, Ray of Frost to slow a target, Human casting Light to see in the dark.

Plus not everyone goes GWM.
>>
>>55165690
>>55165826
This. Wanting a woman to dwarf you is different from wanting a tall woman.
>>
>>55164639
I need to play this
>>
>>55165826
Stereotypically amazonians are supposed to be taller then men in general correct? So why on Earth wouldn't you make that connection when you were the one who mentioned amazons in the first place? Especially if someone starts talking about their own height, that would imply they are talking about someone even they would think is tall. Come on man
>>
>>55165894
>Stereotypically amazonians are supposed to be taller then men in general correct?
No? "Amazon" as a term for a woman just means she's tall and athletic, probably tomboyish to butch. The mythical or fantasy amazons are just warrior women, not even large or muscular. In fact, they were beautiful and just had anime strength unrelated to their frame.
>>
>>55164962
>I poured my heart and soul into OrcPub and received very little in return.
kill yourself you greedy, passive aggressive jew faggot
>>
>>55165530

One option is to play the long con.

If they want to do the stupid thing, let them. Accept that the henchman dies. But now they've made enemies of the local lord, anyone related to any of the guards who were killed/injured, and nearby authorities of every sort.

"The world" is capable of throwing way more at the party than they can handle. Bounty hunters, assassins, law enforcement, and other obstacles. The backlash will prove an interesting adventure and object lesson in how things work, without throwing obvious plot armor over certain people.
>>
>>55165925

What he means to say is

>I broke the law, got caught and want to paint myself as the victim to cash in on those sweet pitty points.
>>
>>55165894
Amazon is usually a derogatory term. Think a fancier "bull dyke". It has nothing to do with them being bigger than you.
>>
Racial feats confirmed fof Xanthars.

These don't feel like they're in the spirit of 5e to me.
>>
>>55165975
The real unfortunate part is that this more or less confirms that skill, weapon, and tool feats aren't in there (compared to the previous wording).
>>
>>55165894
You're mixing up anons, anon. I never said anything about that. And, yes, >>55165922 is right - generally "Amazonian" tends to just mean tall and athletic. If you want to be dwarfed by a chick that's totally fine and no one gives a shit, but a chick isn't suddenly less "Amazonian" because she's standing beside a 6'5" guy who towers over her.

I'm 6'0". I know plenty of tall women. They are also around the 6'0" mark, because they are quite substantially above the average height for a woman. Therefore, they are tall women.
>>
>>55165922
Ohh so you're literally only taking into account the Greek references and possibly Wonder Woman, gotcha ya
>>
>>55166012
No, I made two references. First the modern descriptor, then the mythical reference.
>>
>>55166027
Wonder woman easily fits that descriptor, also iirc they actually found evidence they did exist
>>
>>55166012
>He's only taking into account the most widely used definitions of Amazon
Look, dude, several people are telling you that your word choices are fucking wonky. No one gives a shit. Just say you want an amazonian chick that towers over you. Saying you want a "tall" girl doesn't mean that you inherently want someone TALLER than you, it just means you want someone who's tall.
>>
>>55165999

I'd rather have them, because with racial feats only pbh+reprinted will get them, so you'll have less of a reason to pick a volo/EE race.

Also some of the feats were ridiculously strong.
>>
>>55166046
It always feels weird to me that racial feats aren't a 'start of the game only' thing. It feels weird to me that you can suddenly manifest racial traits.
>>
>>55165975
>These don't feel like they're in the spirit of 5e to me.
I think some of them are fine, the ones that are basically racial features that are too strong to be so. Svirfneblin Magic made perfect sense to me, you either take it at 4, or you ignore it, in a sense you are "giving up" the racial stats for the spells.
>>
I'm trying to make a fun oneshot where the players deal with a banshee plaguing a small village and the banshee has possessed an adventuring bard and enthralled a band. Every round the band will play a different rotating buff with the strength of the buff decreasing everytime a member of the band dies. This buff will apply to everyone in combat but I'm not sure of an idea for the buffs. Should it be generic like X2 damage or should it target resistances and vulnerabilities? Should it quicken all spells and then slow others down?
This is a lvl 5 party and we've just finished mines of phandelver with me as a fairly new gm. Any tips?
>>
>>55166062
>It always feels weird to me that racial feats aren't a 'start of the game only' thing
They might be in the book
>>
With the new errata elves finish a long rest in half the time, so trance actually has some large mechanical benefit now.
>>
>>55166083
Still gonna roll V.Human
>>
>>55166080
I super doubt that. It would require reworking how feats work.
>>
>>55166083
>perception proficiency
>darkvision
>shorter rests
I hope elf players like keeping watch. At least they're good for something.
>>
>>55166062

Same, like suddenly you sprout wings?
>>
>>55166062
Our group is actually trying this out, a free feat for each PC at the start, also phased out variant human so it's not get two feats.
>>
>>55166092
Not really... it's as easy as "Variant rule: Give everyone a racial feat at level 1, here's the fuckin list"
>>
Just made a deal with an ancient green dragon that if I released him, he'll help us against Tiamat and her cult in exchange for a fiefdom to be worked out at a later date. How fucked be I?
>>
>>55166098
>Our group is actually trying this out, a free feat for each PC at the start, also phased out variant human so it's not get two feats.
So do standard humans get +1 to all scores and a feat?
>>
>>55166107
>helping out a green dragon
>the ones specifically known for twisting people around to get them to do what they want
>the ones whose go-to "hoard" is that of minions and living resources
Yeah you're super-fucked.
>>
>>55166098
That's what I intend to do at the start of my next campaign: everyone can pick a racial feat. Though there's some wonkiness with the racial feats; elven accuracy being one of them.
>>
>>55166083
Not gonna lie our group always assumed that
>>
>>55166094

Damn knife ears, wouldn't trust them to watch my back.
>>
>>55164079

Warlock. I'm sure there's a good way to play them but literally everyone I've seen show up with a warlock has been a complete and total faggot.

5e has way too many Charisma (paladin, bard, warlock, sorc) casters and not enough Intelligence (literally just wizard) casters IMHO, and we all know what sort of players typically play Charisma-based characters.
>>
>>55166113
I'll have to ask I think we reworked that a bit to bring it a little more in line with others. We're waiting on one player so it's been a bit since the planning phase
>>
>>55166123
I do find it a bit weird that we have four CHA casters, one WIS caster, and one INT caster. That seems a bit wonky.
>>
>>55166120

I alwas assumed it was flavor.
>>
>>55166123
Reminder that making warlocks an Int-based class actually makes 5e's balance better by removing several super-cheesy multiclasses like sorclock and pallock.
>>
>>55166113
If everyone gets a feat, it's not that crazy
>>
>>55166129
I'm gonna say you should probably not take anything away. Honestly, +1 to all scores isn't a big deal at all. In fact, it's kinda shit. V.Humans are only worthwhile because of the feat. Nobody would play standard humans at all.
>>
>>55166137
Different anon: But it also means that humans are pretty damned shit. V. human was only valuable because the feats.
>>
>>55164158
They attract bad players (people like you, if you see tieflings as "sexy devils").

Seriously, why can't the faggots and furries stay in Pathfinder where they belong?
>>
>>55166107
Like >>55166118 said fucked
>>
>>55166130
>one WIS caster
Cleric, Druid, and Ranger are one class now?
>one INT caster
Wizard, Eldritch Knight, and Arcane Trickster are one class now?
>>
>>55166130

We'll get a half caster (they better bump it to half) as artificer and we'll then get a """caster""" in the form of mystic.

Still think we should have gotten more INT cadters, warlock was intended to be INT but grognards complained since 4e had them as CHA

Dunno what another caster could do though that a wizard can't.
>>
>>55166152
>>55166149
If anything, in a game where everyone gets a feat, V.Human should be expanded to either get 2 feats or get +1 to everything on top of V.Human stuff.
>>
>>55166172

Eldritch knight and Arcane tricksters aren't classes you massive faggot.
>>
File: Esper Genesis.jpg (102KB, 900x1164px) Image search: [Google]
Esper Genesis.jpg
102KB, 900x1164px
Has anybody else here downloaded the free intro guide to pic related? I haven't had time lately to read it all, but I'm curious if it's worth checking out.
>>
>>55166191
They're still Int casters you raging autist
>>
>>55166172
I am daft in regards to WIS casters. I am fucking tired as hell.

But yes, I am not counting subclasses as classes.
>>
>>55166132
Huh could be an experience thing since we are mostly newer
>>
>>55166200

You said classes you backpeddling twit.

And they're not even good at casting, it's a minor boon to them.
>>
>>55166156
>>55166118
I mean, hey, the worst that happens is it bites me in the ass super hard and we have to deal with it at a later date, me possibly having a different character due to execution.

The best case is he helps us stop tiamat blowing up the world and there's a dragon with a forest of his own that possibly becomes a new city-state and my DM gets to delve into politics and is what I'm hoping happens.
>>
>>55166224
>You said classes you backpeddling twit.
Fighters and Rogues both have an Int casting subclass. Getting hung up on calling them classes is absurdly autistic pedantry. Just admit that you were wrong and stop screeching ok?
>>
>>55166237

>Admit I was wrong

I'm definitely pedantic but like fuck am I wrong.
>>
>>55166277
>I do find it a bit weird that we have four CHA casters, one WIS caster, and one INT caster
>one INT caster
Nigga you ARE wrong, we have 3
>>
>>55166277
>Admit I was wrong

>I'm definitely pedantic but like fuck am I wrong.

This needs to be a banner
>>
>>55164476
I like it!
>>
>>55166083
It's funny because the older version literally stated
>The Trance trait is, ultimately, meant to highlight the otherworldly character of elves, not to give them an edge in the game.

>>55166094
They always could stand watch for 4 hours, older version only forced a group of elves to stay put for 8 hours no matter what, which made no sense.
>>
Lets count full casters as a 1, half casters as a 0.5 and third casters as a 0.3.

Omit warlock since they're not technically casters due to pact magic)

CHA: 2.5 (Bard, Sorc, Pal)
WIS: 2.5 (Druid, Cleric, Ranger)
INT: 1.6 (Wiz, AT, EK)
>>
>>55164639
I fuckin love it
>>
File: 1498944174666.jpg (24KB, 238x293px) Image search: [Google]
1498944174666.jpg
24KB, 238x293px
The real problem with INT is that unless you're an INT caster there's literally no reason to have points in INT. It's literally impossible to justify using an ASI on getting +1 to knowledge skills instead of
>improving your AC & initiative
>improving +to hit and +damage
>getting +1 to much more widely applicable and frequently used skills
>getting +1 to a better saving throw

Honestly I feel like there's frighteningly little meaningful choice when it comes to attributes in D&D, I much preferred the attributes in Path of Exile, which made every attribute meaningful for every character and class.
>>
>>55164734
How would you cook up an aasimar or a genasi?

And is there any good meat under a warforged's shell?
>>
File: 1448696665058.jpg (24KB, 300x381px) Image search: [Google]
1448696665058.jpg
24KB, 300x381px
>>55166340
Why the fuck did I type Path of Exile,
I meant Pillars of Eternity
>>
>>55166330

Nope, watch is a light activity so can only be done for 2 hours, it even gives it as an example.

Which begs the question whst the fuck they' were meant to do for the other two, just lie in one spot for 2 hours?
>>
Trying this again while the thread is fresh.

I really am hoping to find the PDF's for:

http://www.dmsguild.com/product/219716/Encounters-in-the-Savage-Cities?sb=1

http://www.dmsguild.com/product/215866/Tome-of-Adventures

It is sadly not in the trove, is anyone able to upload it please?
>>
>>55166350

Warforged have organic fibrous materials, but can't imagine they taste too great.
>>
>>55166363
Stop fucking asking this, it's at least the fourth time I've seen you post it. You're not going to get it by continuing to spam your annoying fucking requests, just buy the fucking things you jew
>>
>>55166107
>trusting a green dragon
>trusting a chromatic to go against tiamat
You deserve to die, drowning in your own bile.
>>
>>55166340

They should have kept Will, Reflex and Endurance saves but made it the average of the two stats rather than the highest.

Will: (Cha+Wis)/2
Endurance: (Str+Con)/2
Reflex: (Dex+Int)/2
>>
>>55165538
True, but party has two monks and a wizard. Disarming two of them dosnt stop THAT much.

>>55165548
Yeah, good point

>>55165551
I like this idea and would fit with the story, two areas are having a political war with each other. Thanks anon

>>55165797
Good things to consider, the guy is a infulencial local, runs a series of taverns and a close friend to the local lord. Didn't even think of making the party get special fancy clothes tho, thank you!! And we'll drrssed guards would work well.

>>55165949
Actually really like this option, I have no doubt they could kill him and fend off a few guards as others would protect the lord and leave the area. But handling what comes of that shitsotrm? That would be cool to see. Thank you anon!!

---
Think I know how I'm gonna play this now, many thanks 5eg
>>
>>55166399
>Endurance saves
If you're going to be a 3.pf fag at least remember what a Fortitude save is
>>
Hello there, I'm still pretty new to DMing and had a question, but I will give some story to help out.

The party was in a situation where they needed information, but didn't know how to obtain. They head into an area that was annihilated by extreme magics that leveled an entire city. Upon arrival, they are ambushed and fight off the enemies that caused it. The Cleric had, "Speak with Dead," and wanted to use it on the enemy, but was worried they would be stopped because they were hostile. Knowing this, the Wizard used, "Charm Person," to negate that and allowed it because it the target of, "Speak With Dead," is somewhat alive. In that time, the questions were still being answered, but the Wizard got clever and wanted to use, "Suggestion," on top of it. I thought, "Not a bad idea. Okay, sure." As follows, "The next question that is asked has to be to the best of their ability." Question: "If we want to stop this powerful being from being summoned, what do we need to do?" "You need to cut it off at the head. Strike the leader down."

Then the player proceeds to get huffy and distant for the few remaining moments left before we called it despite getting a lot of good information they never even had plus a semblance of an idea of what to do. Was I wrong in keeping somewhat vague, but still somewhat descriptive. Granted, he tends to let his ego get the best of him and tries to power-play against my verdicts (still new, so I write them off as me being inexperienced). Just wanted to know how I should handle verdicts like this going forward. Thanks, friends.
>>
>>55166427

But anon they were in 4e too
>>
>>55166451
Start putting in characters and scenarios relevant to your players' fetishes the next time one of them gets pissy with you and keep going until they're squirming in their seat and humping the corner of the table, red-faced and panting, not even caring that it's obvious what they're doing
>>
>>55164185
Hi, reddit
>>
>>55166401
When in doubt, always think of counter measures. What does the party know, versus what do they not know? If its not been set in stone, its mutable. If it has been set down, there's some elements that may be faulty information - or incomplete information.

They may be able to confront or even kill the dude, but locals will NOT be happy. After all, like you said, they are influential and close friends with the local lord. If they do something to him, that becomes a shit show coming down on their head - and he might have just been one of many pawns in the game, or one of many cogs in the greater scheme.

If the event is important, it wouldn't be shocking to have wizards available for counter spells / wards / anything like that. Think about the assembled patronage, and the threats that they would have to deal with - react accordingly. Similarly, if its got important people there, people coming from outside of the local scene making hostile gestures at the dude might be interpreted as being hostile to the *entire* local nobility. They are more likely to be supportive and defensive of him than they are of the party ... But for good measure, maybe have an NPC or two that represent factions against the dude, for whatever reason. Maybe they want his taverns, maybe he slighted them, that kind of thing.
>>
>>55166462
Even worse
>>
>>55166521

4e was a good edition though, despite its flaws.
>>
>>55166518
You are improving my players game tenfold anon, I thank you.
>>
>>55166451
>Speak with Dead
>Answers are usually brief, cryptic, or repetitive...
Just the fact that it gave information to him is testament to the fact that charm person worked (though I'll raise an eyebrow at whether or not a corpse animated by magic counts as a humanoid in order to be targeted for that spell), and the fact that its direct is testament to the fact that suggestion worked. I probably would have suggested it telling them the leaders *name* instead of just saying 'Leader', or at least giving a formal title ... But, yeah, he said BEST of ability, not FULLEST of ability, and speak with dead doesn't return them to their best capabilities in the first place.
>>
3.5 was the pinnacle of D&D and everything afterwards was a step down
>>
>>55166340
The abilities aren't balanced.
Ignoring "main" abilities:
>Dexterity is king because they've dumped everything important on it, AC, Initiative, most physical "save or suck" effect on it.
>Constitution is everyone's 3rd ability score (or 2nd for Barbarian).
>Wisdom because they've dumped every mental "save or suck" effect on it.
>Charisma for social feature.
>Strength and Intelligence shit tier because they depend entirely on the adventure.

Without adding new rules to the game:
Want to see Strength be important? Track weight rather than ignoring it (alternatively, use Encumbrance rules) and don't allow people use Acrobatics when it's supposed to be Athletics.

Want to see Intelligence be important? Investigation checks (Perception finds the ninjas, Investigation finds things), knowledge checks, illusions, and Downtime Activities. I'm a bad DM and want to punish my players: Mind Flayers

They're sure bad, but there's ways into the game to use them, but not for every adventure.

>>55166356
New version means elves ignore the entire first paragraph of long rests on the PHB.
Older version gave elves 4 hours of light activity instead, so they could keep watch for 4 hours, but had to stay put for 4 hours, even on an all-elves party.
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/sage-advice/rules-answers-and-errata-october-2016
>>
>>55166593
>Track Weight

Retarded.

Just give people inventory slots to carry things and add another one on for every point of STR they have. Cap gold stacks at some point
>>
>>55166592
What's stopping you from playing it then?
>>
>>55166608
Nothing, people are just shitting on it here again
>>
>>55166607
Forgot to say I play using Fantasy Grounds, so tracking weight is easier for me, but how do you even use inventory slots?
>>
>>55166647

Because it deserves shitting on.
>>
>>55166758
I'll show you; I used your mother's inventory slot last night, after all.
>>
>>55166370
Think I will do this at least once a thread, specially if it pisses you off, getting so angry over a post you can ignore is hilarious.
>>
>>55166825
"You can ignore it" is no excuse to post spam you shithead
>>
>6 hours sleep

Blimey no wonder adventuers die so much, must be fucking nackered with only a 6 hour kip.
>>
>>55166865
That's just the minimum dude
>>
>>55164146
It's funny, this goes a long way to fix most tabletop problems.
>>
>>55166883

Aye, party can sod right off if they think I'm getting outta bed after 6 hours.
>>
>>55164208
Kinda depends on the game, in my groups death is a somewhat common occurance but I hand out revivals (with side effects) quite often, at low level.

When they get their own spells, they get that to rely on.
>>
>>55166392
He said he doesn't like Tiamat, I don't like Tiamat, worst case is it bites me in the ass bad, I'll take my chances however low they may be
>>
File: Drawfriend Warlock.png (247KB, 710x576px) Image search: [Google]
Drawfriend Warlock.png
247KB, 710x576px
>>55164574
I really want to play this Tiefling cleric of knowledge that is utterly ashamed of his heritage, so has sawed off horns and tries extra-hard to be a good guy. His human dad and succubus mother are totally fine with him doing whatever, but he is a melodramatic little shit about it all. I feel like there's good room for growth there.

I also just want to roll my human warlock GOO and Tome for maximum "I gotta know everything, also we're in the dream of a dead god and we gotta do everything to not wake that fucker up."
>>
>>55164532
Plunging attack from dark souls
>>
>>55166976
That's when you ask for Insight checks, anon.
>>
>>55166350
>>55166368
I'm taking notes for future DMing use.
Hags are fun enemies in 5e.
>>
>>55166990
I did ask for an insight roll, as far as I could tell the green dragon was being honest, it was a tower roll so take that as you will, I did.
>>
File: 1503418861535.jpg (61KB, 480x458px) Image search: [Google]
1503418861535.jpg
61KB, 480x458px
>>55166984
>Sawed off his horns
Little did he know that tiefling's actually shed and regrow their horns every year after reaching adulthood.
>>
File: stop it.gif (2MB, 640x322px) Image search: [Google]
stop it.gif
2MB, 640x322px
>>55166984
Human idea looks cool too.

>is utterly ashamed of his heritage, so has sawed off horns and tries extra-hard to be a good guy
That's cool, but the succubus mother feels a little Mary Sue.
>>
>>55164574
Rogue/Monk, or Bard/Monk reprise.
I've tried to play both of them before, twice for the former and once for the latter, but the games always flaked apart after one, two, three sessions tops.

Perhaps some day I will find a decent fellow DM who plays the game without some bizzarro houserules, who makes interesting encounters that have story relevance, who will actually care that my character sends letters to family members updating them on his/her travels and sending money home.
Surely some day
;_;
>>
>>55167037
Not that guy, but I was picturing a "redeemed" succubus who floated somewhere around the neutral level somewhere, who was trying so hard to be supportive and a good mother, but also secretly can't help but want to see him destroy the world.
I mean, she'd feel bad about it but, y'know. That's how it is sometimes.
>>
>>55164365
Roll 1d20, 'advantage' if dangerous zone, disadvantage if players are stealthy
9-10 = one encounter that day
11-13 = two encounters
14-17 = three encounters
18-20 = four encounters

Same roll for night. (night are dangerous).

I generally use a random encounter generator until I find a fitting encounter (for the location).
>>
What's the proper progression for a Shadow Rogue build? Shadow Monk 6 and then Rogue levels? 1 level in rogue then Shadow Monk to 6, then back to rogue? Every other? Our party just hit level three and I've already got 2 levels in monk. Should I go ahead and take the third level in monk so I don't delay my ASI and extra attack, or do I dip into rogue now for some sweet expertise?
>>
>>55166850
Keep whining bitch, nothing you can do about it.
>>
>>55167115

>Implying reporting for spam isn't an option
>>
>>55167107
>proper progression
You're really coming at this from the entirely wrong direction, Minmaximus.
Have you considered not trying to 'win' D&D, and instead doing what seems most interesting?

Talk to your DM and tell him you want to play a Rogue and become a Shadow Monk around a certain level, and roughly how many levels you want to take in it.
Play until Rogue 3-6 or so, get trained by a cool ninja motherfucker in a sidequest that you can drag the party along on, get your Monk levels, and then resume Rogue.
It's more engaging and more fun, rather than being autismo asking about the "right" way to play pretend games.
>>
I'm new to DMing and it's also our group's first 5e campaign. I'm just curious what the best way to balance CR is? I've found that literally anything that doesn't have spells can't even put a dent in the party. On top of that, their damage is ridiculous, and this is only physical damage as well. Pretty decent loot has been dropping as well, and party has been smart to use these resources instead of hoarding them.

Through level 4 I've had them fight more than a few CR5's and even a couple CR6's. I've learned a lot and have at least manged to make these things a little more challenging by inflating health a lot. Some of these encounters I had to triple and even quadruple the health so they weren't killed immediately.

I'm just wondering if there's a way to do it without constantly modifying creature stats. Is it safe to go a few CR levels higher or should I just keep it the same? I don't want to one shot anybody but it feels like everything in the monster manual is way too squishy.
>>
>>55167140

Personally hate sidequests, just weave it in and go "pfft, you didn't know I could do that? Bro whst do you THINK Rogues do?"
>>
>>55167037
Hellboy is definitely the style I'm going for, though in my head he's much more of a tall/thin build. I have yet to get a drawfriend to get a good picture for him, and I can't find any good sawed-off horn tieflings. Much like >>55167095 said, it's more a reasoning for him to be a tiefling, because the PHB is very vague about what leads to them. I figure it's also always good for a player to leave backstory hooks that a DM could use if they felt like it but also don't matter if they are ignored, and that strikes me as that sort of bit.
>>
>>55167191
>Is it safe to go a few CR levels higher or should I just keep it the same?
Obligatory "you should try using http://kobold.club/fight/ for fights"

Also,
What's the party composition?
How many players? Feats?
What have you dropped on them?
>>
>>55166340
I let my players pick one additional language per intelligence modifier.
If they have a negative modifier they must sacrifice a language to learn to read (but they must have at least 1 language left).

Languages are pretty important in my campaigns.
>>
>>55167250

Thats nice that it's important in your campaigns, but it's a marginal benefit in most others.
>>
>>55166758
I guess how I'd handle it is provide a base amount of inventory slots with the idea that every major implement or tool took up a number of slots depending on what it is or how heavy it is, or if you want to push some realistic level of nonsense on your players: How it's fitted or strapped to the body. Seemingly small things would be able to fit into smaller containers that take quarter or half slots.
Perhaps a STR threshold on some items to make them take up less slots.

But that provides for STR, and not really anything for INT.

>>55167037
>Succubus Mother
>Mary Sue

I disagree that it is inherently a mary-sue feature. It's a possible lore explanation for a disadvantage or a struggle. You can certainly play it to be a Marysue quality the same way a kindergartner might insist his pretend Dad is super rich, smart and strong and he's going to come to the school and beat you up.
>>
>>55167223
That site is useful and all, but it doesn't seem to have Volo's Guide content. I can't find Witherlings or other fun things.
What gives senpai?
>>
>>55167372
Set source material
>>
How would y'all defeat a young black dragon in its lair as a party of 6th level?

The ability to acid breath and then submerge which gives total cover and the blindsense removing the disadvantage of deep dark water

How are my players even supposed to win?
>>
>>55167372
Click on "Set Sources" and you'll be able to select Volo's, there's the Gnoll Witherling, if that's what you're after.
>>
>>55167388
>>55167396
Oh, I missed that entirely.
Thanks fampai
>>
File: cause im in too deep.jpg (24KB, 450x534px) Image search: [Google]
cause im in too deep.jpg
24KB, 450x534px
How can you integrate fluff side of character's habits like writing letters to family at home or keep a journal?
>>
>>55164079
>want to dual-wield with a net
>dual-wielding only works with melee weapons
>want to make illusion-based eldritch knight
>EK is allowed 4 illusion spells tops
>want to give my fey warlock dancing lights
>dancing lights not on the warlock spell list
I try so hard to like 5e, and most of its issues are easy to homebrew away, but the number of times the system has left me scratching my head about design decisions gets old after a point.

I feel like not only does 5e lack the breadth of options of previous editions (which is probably for the best) but also the character concepts supported by core are severely limited for no real reason.
>>
>>55167191
DnD is a tactical game and not a boss fighting simulator, so the correct idea is to put them into situations with interesting dynamics.

If they're burning through monsters left and right then just add in more monsters and don't be afraid to push different tactics.
>>
Could someone please post the skill and skill proficiency table?
>>
>>55167427
>get Extra Attack
>throw net
>whether it works or not, now you attack with a different weapon
That's how it works.
>>
>>55167427

>>55167427

Sadly agree there, it's a good thing 5e IS easy to homebrew for, but it puts into question WOTC's competance when it comes to game design.
>>
File: 1348450731251.jpg (38KB, 480x320px) Image search: [Google]
1348450731251.jpg
38KB, 480x320px
Anyone played an Undead before?

I'm thinking the Nameless one from Planescape Torment.

Each time you die, wake up 24 hours later wherever your body got dumped.

Your body doesn't heal, so you're covered in increasingly disfiguring scars/appendage loss. You have to seek out professional help to cover up the smell and/or get stitches.
>>
>>55167450
The what now?
>>
>>55167427
You can use a net and another weapon just fine, you just don't get a freebie attack out of it.

EK is explicitly a fighter, it specializes in magic that benefits that.

Magic Initiate or be an elf.
>>
File: YVKEvQI.png (62KB, 988x704px) Image search: [Google]
YVKEvQI.png
62KB, 988x704px
>>55167395
>defeat a young black dragon

well, they sho

>in its lair

what the fuck are they thinking
>>
>>55167499
The differences between being skilled and unskilled, that table.
>>
>>55167493

Sounds like a revenant from gothic UA
>>
>>55167427
>want to dual-wield with a net
1. Have a Net, Hand Crossbow, and 1 weapon of choice
2. Pick Crossbow Expert
3. 1st turn: Use a net without disadvantage at 5 feet, attack with hand crossbow
4. 2nd turn: draw weapon of choice and attack netted creature

>want to make illusion-based eldritch knight
That's called Arcane Trickster, anon.

>dancing lights not on the warlock spell list
Of all the things wrong with Warlock, what bummed you was the lack of a shitty cantrip?
>>
>>55164630
But how did they get it back anon?

Protip: A completely empty backpack can only hold 1500 gold. That is bulging full.

Players think they have 5000 gold on them, but where the fuck are they carrying it?

I use paper money and cheques
>>
>>55167525
She took all their shit and let them leave with tail betwee legs and I am pretty sure they will try for revenge

Its just brutal really because 49 acid damage breath, submerge and recharge then Hide and breath again then repeat
>>
>>55167555
Well that is up to them. The Black Dragon is trying to win, not be an XP beacon for the players.

If they dare try to come back in there, let their own hubris be their downfall. The point of lairs are supposed to be stupid difficult to fight in because you have zero advantage.
>>
>>55167536
...the difference is you proficiency bonus.
>>
>>55167536
Are you uh, in the right thread?

This is 5e.
>>
>>55167569
The difference was claimed to be less than 5% or 5% between the two, but this was proven to be false.
>>
>>55167395

Forge of Fury? Good luck.
>>
>>55167493
I've done the Skelly Meme, a Fire/Star Lich and a Vampire.
>>
>>55167583
What the fuck are you talking about? Any flat bonus to an ability check is +5% per +1 to the roll, you don't need a table for that.
>>
>>55167488
If you use your attack action to attack with a net, you only get one attack. It's dumb.

Bizzarely, crossbow expert is the only way to make nets even vaguely viable because you still get the hand crossbow attack and the feat means you don't permanently have disadvantage on net attack rolls. If you don't like the flavor of crossbows though you're fucked.

>>55167524
>You can use a net and another weapon just fine
You're dealing no damage the turn you use the net if you do, and your net isn't likely to stay around until your next turn for you to take advantage of it.

>Eldritch Knight specializes in magic that benefits that
Half the melee buff spells are enchantment or illusion.

>Be an elf or magic initiate
I really don't want to jump through hoops. Even easy ones.

Again, all this stuff is easily fixed. I'm just sick of having what I think is a simple idea and immediately running into "by RAW it's impossible" or "by RAW it's possible but you've gotta be a certain race or do some janky shit to get there"
>>
>>55167544
The fact that "a guy who uses a net but not a crossbow" and "a guy who uses illusion magic in heavy armor" are things that could have been accessible in the game without taking multiclass or feat combinations that aren't readily apparent with the deletion of a single word bug the crap out of me. And I feel like I keep running into these things.

The warlock bit's a minor quibble, but when you've got a lot of those they start to add up.
>>
>>55167223
2 weapon variant human Arcane Trickster with Mobility and Skilled.
Wolf Totem variant human Greataxe Barb with Great Weapon Fighting and Observant.
Dragonborn Life cleric with Sentinel
Halfling Lunar Druid. She went with more WIS instead of feat.

>>55167430
I've done this, but with the party they have it's really easy for them. Most of us have ample RPG experience so clever tactics alone aren't really enough. Their party setup is just incredibly sound. I was just wondering if I should just keep upping CR of encounters within reason, or just let creatures take more damage than they're really supposed to. Just curious what people have found more effective for balancing shit out.
>>
>Player rolls insight, rolls low
>Player immediately distrusts what the person says
>Player rolls perception, rolls low
>Automatically assumes the room is trapped or an encounter will happen

I'm not complaining about a specific player in my games or anything, but I almost wish I rolled everyone's skill checks at times
>>
>>55167727
You could also make/buy a dice tower, a player kind of has to take what you say because they have no number to associate it with anymore
>>
>>55167765
I'm playing with some friends online through roll20, college ended our in person sessions
>>
>>55167727
>player wants to see if he can tell if the person is lying or not
>rolls a low insight
>"From the best you can tell, you can't discern his transparency."

condition your players by throwing shady npc's who are actually telling the truth sometimes. this way, even if they roll a low insight, the "maybe they are maybe they arent" will end up being "they aren't".

Then they just use the roll as a guideline and not an immersion breaker.
>>
>>55167727

Its one of the reasons I feel Insight shouldn't be a thing and should be done through RP.

They roll low and they're suspivious

You roll behind the screen and what do you tell them when they roll loe?
> "They seem trustworthy"
Then if you're going to tell them that on a failure what do tell them on a success
>"You can't discern"
Well they know they rolled low and won't ttust them anyway
>>
>>55167616
Not him.
>You're dealing no damage the turn you use the net if you do, and your net isn't likely to stay around until your next turn for you to take advantage of it.
You're wasting an attack by throwing a net and you're worried to deal damage on that turn? Just drop the net and have your team fuck the guy up.
It's a common item that grants the restrained condition on a hit, no saving throw, and wastes a creature's turn to get out, what more do you want from it? Anything better and everyone would be using nets.

>Half the melee buff spells are enchantment or illusion.
What spells exactly? Unless you meant Transmutation

>>55167727
I'm partial to rolling Insight checks for players because of this, it's also shit for the other way around
Rolled a 20? You can totally trust the guy.
>>
>>55167788
that's a shame, you should see if roll20 has a dice tower thing you can use where the player can roll their dice themselves but can't see the result
>>
>>55167846
tabletop simulator has dice towers.

Roll20 has gm rolls
>>
>>55167845

What do you tell them on a 1? If you tell them he's trustworthy then there's no distinction hetween a high and low roll, if you tell them they can't tell his motivations they'll know the roll was low and default to being suspicious.
>>
>>55167727
Its simple anon.

Ban insight checks.

>Do I trust this guy?
>Better do some RP and figure that out myself
>>
>>55167865

Don't even need to ban them, just never call for them unless it's mechanical like for swashbuckler's panache
>>
>>55167603
The difference between having proficiency and non-proficiency isn't probably as close as that. Someone produced it in a Homebrewery table and posted it in a previous thread.
>>
>>55167858
Players still see GM rolls they do
>>
>>55167906
The players request them.

Especially if they're used to other DMs that allow them.
>>
>>55167863
NPC is telling the truth:
Success: What you can tell, it's telling the truth.
Fail: What you can tell, it's telling the truth.

NPC is lying:
Success: You don't trust this guy.
Fail: What you can tell, it's telling the truth.
>>
>>55167922
are you sure you're just not promoted to GM in your friends channel?
>>
>>55167925

The players are wrong, they don't get to ask for rolls, you tell them when to roll.

>>55167931
That's a shit way of doing things because there's no distinctions, I'd never trust any NPC if that's all I got out of it.
>>
>>55167966
>The players are wrong, they don't get to ask for rolls, you tell them when to roll.
"Is there any way to tell if Really Strange Shady Guy's intentions are true?"
"No, never"
*Players don't trust him anyway*

>That's a shit way of doing things because there's no distinctions, I'd never trust any NPC if that's all I got out of it.
*Player rolls high* "I can totally trust this guy"
*Player rolls poorly* "I won't trust this guy ever"
If they see the roll or get too much information it's really hard to not skew their opinion on the NPC.
>>
>>55168007

If they ask about his intentions I'd just describe body language and tell them to think.

With your method I'd just be suspicious of everyone and 1/4 of the time I'd be right.
>>
>not casting Zone of Truth
>>
New thread

>>55168055
>>55168055
>>55168055
>>55168055
>>55168055
>>
> Crossbow Expert (p. 165).
> The word “loaded” has been cut from the third
benefit.

What does this even do?
>>
>>55167654
>>55167616
I don't know man. It says
>when you use an action, bonus action, or reaction to use a net, you can only make one attack regardless of the number of attack you can make.
Does it really mean you can only make one attack using all of these parts of your turn? For one thing, if it does this precludes the use of CBE as the handcrossbow attack is an attack that uses your bonus action. If it doesn't there's literally nothing stopping you from using your bonus to attack with any other light weapon in your offhand. IF you have two weapon fighting you could remove the light restriction and even wield the Trident/Net combo.

Even then, it seems silly to make you waste your turn if you use a net on your reaction. Does it really mean only one attack in your turn? Because it never explicitly says that. Just that you can only make one attack if you would normally be able to do more. Otherwise this means you wouldn't even be able to attack if you used a fighter's Action Surge. To me, this sounds absolutely ridiculous. I think one logical interpretation would be that the rule is designed to clarify that it's impossible to throw multiple nets in 6 seconds, or to throw the same net multiple times. What if you throw the net after another attack in your turn? Is it retroactive?

The other guy has a point that your team can just take advantage to fuck the guy up and that it makes it really good. However, I also think it's kind of fair to be able to attack when a Lunar Druid can transform into a constrictor snake and restrain with a higher DC for free on an attack roll that does damage. And then the druid can still turn into a bear later and do other more useful shit when they're not doing that. If your character is literally just "net guy" and that's it, there's no reason you shouldn't be able to do it.
I would say just talk it over. If poorly trained prisoners sent to their deaths in gladiator fights could do it, why can't a specialized adventurer?
>>
>>55168060
Stopped DMs from misinterpreting the feat.

Intention: free bonus action attack with your hand crossbow.

Shit DM interpretation: lol pull out a preloaded hand crossbow to get that feat benefit xD
>>
Anything about clerics I should know about? What is the best domain?
>>
>>55168059
we're not even on page ten yet
>>
>>55167865
No, DM rolls insight and keeps the results secret.

Jesus, guys.
>>
>>55166486
Next time I will present an entire town filled with magical cat-girls with huge breasts that do exactly what their fetishes are without a question asked.
>>55166590
That sounds about right. I will drop the name of the leader the next I speak with the party then. It was such a giant jumble of rules that lacked clarification that I was afraid I was being a dingle about rules. Thanks for your insight, anon.
Thread posts: 349
Thread images: 33

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.