[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ Fifth Edition General:

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 414
Thread images: 63

File: Skelegates.png (1MB, 1015x768px) Image search: [Google]
Skelegates.png
1MB, 1015x768px
D&D 5th Ed. General Discussion

>Unearthed Arcana: Three-Pillar Experience
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-ThreePillarXP.pdf

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Alternate Trove:
https://dnd.rem.uz/5e%20D%26D%20Books/

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread:
>>55145239

What are good names for an adventuring party?
>>
How does dragonborn reproduction work? First of all, do they lay eggs? Second, can a red dragonborn fug a green dragonborn and reproduce?
>>
>>55157084
Our current party is called "Arcane Agents of the Royal Guard", or AARG
we're all wizards/sorcs/warlocks in service to the king
>>
>>55157127
Depends on the setting my guy
>>
>>55157127
Yes they lay eggs, and yes all of them can interreproduce. While they have different heritages, most dragonborn are a rusty orange or brown color.
>>
Please give feedback on my homebrew. I edited it since the last time I posted it.
>>
>>55157127
Yes, they lay eggs. And yes, they're all one species. The different colors aren't even different breeds; practically all dragonborn are mutts whose breath weapons probably don't match either of their parents and whose scales are some kind of of muddy yellow ocre or red-brown.
>>
>>55157152
The only setting where it's different is Dragonlance, and they only retconned the draconians to be dragonborn after the fact.
>>
>>55157155

Mongrels they are
>>
>>55157178
>retconned the draconians to be dragonborn

Wait, what the fuck? When did the abominations made from stolen metallic dragon eggs - the thing that made the good dragons actually declare war on Takhisis - turn into dragonborn?
>>
Would giving my players a Giant Slayer in SKT be overkill?
>>
>>55157291
Since the 5e PHB said they were. The thing about them being abominations made of stolen dragon eggs is still true, but they're dragon-men who aren't half-dragons, so that's close enough to say they're a kind of dragonborn.
>>
>>55157379
>Since the 5e PHB said they were

Aw crap, you're right. Well that's me with mud on my face for jumping over the dragonborn every time. At least the wording makes it look like it's something like a proxy for real draconians, especially when they don't mention the "baaz turn to stone when they're killed" in any detail.
>>
Do you prefer to make your own setting, use a pre existing one, use a preexisting one as some form of skeleton or what?
>>
>>55157452
My own, for preference, but I did play a shitload of FR campaigns during the grey box/2nd edition era.
>>
>>55157158

Is this just extremely mediocre? What could I do to make it more interesting/better?
>>
>>55157452
Always done my own and pull from books or movies I've watched along with stuff from DnD itself
>>
>>55157452
My own, it's easier to memorize.
>>
>>55157291
Dragonborn aren't draconians.
>>
>>55157452
I like to keep parts of the setting most relevant to the players the same as described in the official books. Makes it easier for the players to know how their character's fit into the wider world. Everything else is made up, stolen from other media or a modified version of the original lore.
>>
>>55157158
Looks interesting
>>
New DM here. Should I be worried about the other planes?
I'm happy to include the Feywild, Shadowfell and the elemental planes in my settings, but I don't really care for the other planes.

Will things be okay if I just include a generic heaven and hell in my setting? Do I need to answer anymore questions?
>>
>>55157452
my own modular setting that can easily import stuff from any other setting. like a linked world.
>>
Guys, next session my Lost Mines of Phandelver group will reach level 2. How does levelling up work? What do I do? I only have the starter set books, and it will fall on me, as DM, to help them.
>>
>>55157829
Know if any of your players are going to play cleric, paladin, etc. or otherwise include faith/religion as a major part of their character? If so ask them if they have any plans for what kind of gods or other belief systems they want to include in their character. Otherwise you could probably just go ahead with your current plan for the most part. The gods and the afterlife only matter to your campaign as far as you and the players make them matter. If neither group really cares then there are other parts of the setting you should focus on developing to improve the game.
>>
>>55157829
You'll probably want Ethereal and Astral in there
>>
>>55157984

I've always hated tge destinction between the two
>>
File: 1498947324912.jpg (98KB, 643x861px)
1498947324912.jpg
98KB, 643x861px
>>55157850
It's very simple. Every time you level up, you choose either to advance a level in your class, or to pick up a level in another class.
If you choose to stay, you either roll hit dice for additional HP, or choose to get half instead. You also get new class features, according to your class table. If the table says your proficiency increases (not a reason to worry at level 2), you increase it.
Some classes get an archetype on level 2. Archetype is a mandatory add-on to your class - you don't sacrifice anything to get it, but once you've chosen it, you're stuck with it. You don't get to pick and choose features from other archetypes.

Multiclassing is a bit more complicated and a chore to explain. I assume none of your beginner players even know it's a possibility.

Here's a site with all classes and archetypes. Also, monsters, spells and other shit.

https://astranauta.github.io/classes.html#Artificer%20(UA),
>>
How would one go about even beginning to stat, or design a final confrontation, with any of the Cthulu Mythos deities?
>>
>>55157850
When they level up they either up their hp by the averaged amount for their class, or roll a die equal to their hit die and take that number. They then gain any ability/spell they get with that level.
>>
>>55158049
Never roll, you're better off taking average, unless your DM lets you take average after rolling if it's lower.
>>
>>55157452
My own, when I'm the one who writes what can be found where, I'm much more likely to remember that.

My biggest difficulty running sunless citadel was just remembering what loot and stuff was found where, without me having to pause and go look through the book. Since we finished that I haven't had to pause the game to go look and see what they find, since I remember exactly what is found where
>>
>>55158048
You're a retard for even asking the question. You're a double retard for reading chinese cartoons fetishizing Lovecraft.
>>
Trying this again while the thread is fresh.

I really am hoping to find the PDF's for:

http://www.dmsguild.com/product/219716/Encounters-in-the-Savage-Cities?sb=1

http://www.dmsguild.com/product/215866/Tome-of-Adventures

It is sadly not in the trove, is anyone able to upload it please?
>>
>>55158048
>How would one go about even beginning to stat, or design a final confrontation, with any of the Cthulu Mythos deities?
You lose
>>
>>55158048
the fact that you asked that question means you shouldnt even begin to touch lovecraftian horrors since you apparently dont even grasp the basics
>>
>>55158048
If it's one of the Great Old Ones, the only stat block you need is "you die". Even the lesser shit (I'm not talking about things like deep ones) require some heavy, heavy power to deal with. Cthulhu and the like would simply look and kill you.
>>
>>55157829
No. But almost everything interesting that happens sooner or later has some link to some planes. Treat them as your tools and consider them a lot of extra space to use.
>>
You could kill a cthulian being, but you'd still lose, your sanity would be shattered, your personality destroyed.

Take inspiration from darkest dungeon.
>>
>>55158095
Take your begging elsewhere or get a job and earn that $21.
>>
>>55158048
You wouldn't, the most you'd fight is an avatar or a sliver of their actual might if you're staying true to the mythos
>>
>>55158133
>>55158119
>>55158097
>>55158091
Damn, the thirst for lovecraftian tentacle dicks is strong in this thread. Put things into perspective.
>>
>>55157084
>>
>>55158213
I buy it when I find it useful, just like I did with other things on DM's guild.
Where do you think you are?

Stop pretending like you never pirated anything fag.
>>
>>55158214
I guess I should have made this point in my earlier post....

>>55158180
thanks for at least something to get me started with

>>55158217
apparently a touchy subject
>>
>>55157127
In the Forgotten realms they are mammals, but they lay eggs. They are like platypuses.
>>
File: Slav alert.png (3MB, 1600x1067px)
Slav alert.png
3MB, 1600x1067px
>>55158229
>>
>>55158048
You don't fight those things you die to them. The only realistic way to fight something like that even in high power level fantasy like d&d is to fight an avatar and seal the cunt. Which would probably equate to a very high CR, think 20+, encounter with a LOT of wisdom saves against fear and, saves against casual proximity related twisting of your fucking body, condition immunities, resistance to most forms of damage and legendary actions out of the asshole.

You also don't really win such an encounter you merely survive it, although if you're doing a lovecraft inspired campaign that is super fitting and a great way to cap things off.
>>
>>55158262

Wasn't Cthulhu's awakening disrupted because he got conked on the head with a boat before he could fully manifest himself?
>>
>>55158133
>>55158119
>>55158097
>>55158048
To be fair, there were stats for Cthulhu back in the day, of a sort. He eats 1d6 investigators per round, and seeing him makes you lose 1d100 sanity.

Of course, Cthulhu is actually among the weakest of Lovecraft's cosmic horrors. He's really more like a priest than an actual god. He's the regional manager of Earth, which in the grand scheme of things means almost nothing. Azathoth is to Cthulhu as a king is to the peasant who lives in the shittiest house in the kingdom. Anything bigger than Cthulhu would eat an arbitrarily large number of investigators per round and empty anyone's sanity meter in one go.
>>
>>55158284
It wasn't the proper time that he was meant to wake up.

And sure, looking at it now it looks like a rather pathetic thing. "Oh a boat hit him and he got bored and went back to sleep" doesn't sound too bad, but think of when it was written.

Some of their most advanced technology smashed into the thing, and it didn't do anything. Cthulhu just went back to sleep because he realized he still has X number of years/centuries before he actually has to wake up and go to work
>>
>>55158342

Ah-I thought it was a matter of "he was hurt while he was vulnerable, therefore his awakening is postponed", not "he got up, checked the time, and realized he's still got time to sleep in before offering up the earth to the dark beings he worships".
>>
>>55158390
Yeah the boat was essentially the snooze button on his alarm clock. Putting that into perspective is actually quite horrifying
>>
>>55158247
Boy, I hope his shoes are just off camera
>>
>>55158235
Browsing a trove or otherwise pirating what is already available is much less annoying than spamming every thread begging for it. The issue isn't whether you're paying for it so much as whether you're wasting anyone's time trying to get it.
>>
Testing the fairness of my die, the mean on one of my D6's was 3,75 after 120 rolls, should I be worried? No other dice of mine got this far from the supposed mean
>>
>>55158390
Another interpretation I've seen is that the boat was the equivalent of him stubbing his toe while half-asleep. So he goes 'fuck this' and heads back to bed.
>>
How would I run Odin in 5E? Not the Marvel Odin who uses swords and armour and all that shit, but the actual druidic Odin.
>>
>>55158443
Forgot pic
>>
>>55158443

As a druid.
>>
>>55158479
what should I spec in though?
>>
File: demonbane.jpg (364KB, 797x591px)
demonbane.jpg
364KB, 797x591px
>>55158048
Giant robot, obviously.
>>
>>55158296
The investigator eating and sanity is from the old BRP Call of Cthulhu, right? If memory serves, the Deities and Demigods Cthulhu wasn't that hardcore, compared to things like Shub-Niggurath (basically a monster generator from Gauntlet) or Nyarlathotep (instant hardcore Charm Person unless a really tough save).
>>
>>55158485
Divination
>but that's a Wizard archetype
And? Take it on a Druid.
>>
Speaking of the unspeakable.
I had a kind of strange enemy in one game. He was just an elf who never spoke and walked in completely straight lines from town to town and appeared to be impervious to most weapons and spells.
Occasionally some towns he visited would be enveloped in complete magical darkness and the dark began eating the lights and pulling all living things inside itself. When it subsided, all that was left was a compressed sphere of all the nonliving matter devoured by it. Clothes, armor, jewelry. Dispelling the sphere would explode it and send the contents flying everywhere.
The party tried attacking the elf after surviving one such event but their blades just went trough him and were covered in frost. Spells were likewise wasted. They however managed to lure it into a demiplane and seal it there for some time.
Months later they finally understood why nothing worked. The elf was not an elf and it was backwards. They were attacking the outside. They prepared a ritual to switch perspective so they could actually hurt the thing and beat it back beyond the fringes outside the multiverse.
I don't really know how to explain how it worked in English but it all made sense to the players when I explained it to them so it mustn't been completely nonsensical.
>>
>>55157696

Thanks. Is there anything that looks wrong with it? I understand the flavor text could use a bit more work, but I'm a pretty shitty writer so you'll have to forgive me on that.
>>
>>55158048
sauce
>>
>>55158460
>>55158443
>>55158485
Cr (go fuck yourself I'm a god)
Spear mastery
War caster
Resistance in all saves
2 wolves and 2 crow familiars
One eye
Divination wizard
He was the inspiration for gandalf, make a more badass, one eyed, viking gandalf
>>
File: Dark Sun Kreen.png (375KB, 333x607px)
Dark Sun Kreen.png
375KB, 333x607px
Are the Dark Sun Thri-Kreen rules compatible with 5e as they are?
>>
>>55158581
>inspiration for gandalf
You mean Väinämöinen.
Superior hipster Finnish mythology.
>>
>>55158421
Won't be a waste of time if someone already has it, just ignore my post and move on you moron.
>>
>>55158579
filename

or if you're a dirty phone poster Sister of the Woods Rearing a Thousand Young
>>
>>55158547
*stolen*
>>
>>55158579
https://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=130755
>>
>>55158019

Thank you!
>>
>>55158614

No
>>
>>55158726
What needs to be amended?
>>
>>55158614
Change the racial ability bonus to a +2/+1 amongst the three of those, replace the Thri-Kreen Claws power with a d6/d8/maaaaybe d10 weapon die for unarmed attacks, and sure, seems fine to me.
Maybe a little bit weak, actually. Consider free skill proficiency in something.
>>
>>55158547
Sounds like an AdEva enemy.
"It's got warp-y space shit happening so you're actually swinging your sword at it's three-dimensional shadow. The real body is beyond your comprehension."
>>
>>55158614
Why isn't there 3 weapon fighting that is dumb
>>
>>55158814
Excellent, thank you.

Had a wizard necromancer in mind, because they have such a short lifespan and bowing to death doesn't appeal to everyone.
>>
Can you use sharpshooter -5/+10 with Seeking Shot?
>>
File: 1504049375572.gif (1MB, 500x200px)
1504049375572.gif
1MB, 500x200px
>>55158641
Oh I am, just run into some instances where the filename gets me some weird shit, rather not go down those rabbit holes again

>>55158674
Thanks m8
>>
>>55158896
By RAW, no - you don't make an attack roll for seeking shot, ergo, you cannot apply its affects.

Personally? I would let you, and give the target advantage on their saving throw. Talk to your DM.
>>
>>55158838
Their second pair of arms is vestigial in some settings.
>>
File: image[2].png (32KB, 359x153px)
image[2].png
32KB, 359x153px
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/sage-advice/rules-references-august-2017

New Sage Advice update, including new errata for several books. Pic related is the most interesting rule change (though a net-zero impact on balance thankfully, since you can only get one long rest per 24 hours anyway).
>>
>>55158987
that's gay, it should let them three weapon fight so they get 2 more attacks versus one more
>>
>>55158814
>d6/d8/d10 unarmed attack
Whoa there cowboy slow down.
The paradigm of 5e keeps player natural weapons relatively low in power for a reason. The claws shouldn't be a replacement for weapons in a broad sense, so a d4 is most reasonable. A d6, tops, if they're a major focus of the race.

On the other hand, I'd alter the Natural Jumper to just say "Double your jump distance" since it'd give them the same effective benefit--your jump distance is halved if you don't run first so they'd jump normally from standing--but also gives them a further benefit for finding the room to run up, by doubling their jump distance. It's also mechanically simpler.

Multiple Arms would be best changed to "You can take the Use An Item action as a bonus action on your turn." to fit into the 5e design paradigm--though this is actually very powerful. There's a reason it's a big draw feature for the Thief archetype.
If you do this one, that unarmed attack definitely has to be a d4 or it'd be too crazy.
>>
>>55159024
Oh and also new a long rest requires at least 6 hours of sleep alongside 2 hours of light activity.
>>
Most fun PHB class?
Most fun UA class?
>>
>>55158825
Pretty much. The wizard had a lot of fun ad-libbing magic/mad science sounding bullshit throughout the encounters.
>we must use Gorminael's Anchor to calculate our position in N-space to reverse the enemy's vector alignment and defeat it from within!
>>
>>55159041
Big fan of DandDwiki, huh?
That's some stupid and overpowered shit.

>>55159024
That's interesting, but also a bit annoying in some senses. It kinda makes taking turns to keep watch a bit of a non-issue, which is annoying.
>>
>>55159081
Lore Bard
Mystic
>>
>>55159109
I mean its literally the race with 4 arms
>>
>>55159041
>I don't understand 5e balancing at all the post
>>
Anyone have that index of character options, where it listed all the races and sub-races, and what books they were from? I think it might have been a PDF.
>>
>>55159109
>>55159138
oh no, with an offhand weapon the thrikreen can do 3.5 to 9.5 more damage than the other duel wielders, and significantly less damage than GWM fighter
>>
>>55159255
This, but it might be outdated a bit
>>
>>55159279
You're assuming it's a fighter, and not a Thief getting an extra chance to get off a sneak attack, or any number of story-specific scenarios that might be made trivial by that.

I would never allow it as a DM. It's a bad idea.
>>
>>55159310
Thanks! You're as awesome as you are sexy.
>>
>>55158012
?
>>
Group has a warlock, fighter, rogue, what should I go with? Fighter is archery battlemaster btw.
>>
>>55159384
Paladin
>>
>>55159384
Somebody who fights in melee, your rogue will love you for it.
>>
>>55159279
>Not GWM with a one hand weapon in the third
You have to go back
>>
>>55159384
Cleric or Devotion Paladin, your group is sorely lacking in heals and melee. Druid could also work if you focus on staying in the thick of it.
>>
>>55159384
Cleric, Paladin, Barbarian in that order of most useful.
>>
>>55158498
If you don't want your Mythos beings to be hardcore, just don't use them.
>>
File: 1454255872376.png (33KB, 917x1186px)
1454255872376.png
33KB, 917x1186px
does anyone else here always find themselves ending up as the guy that basically has to force everyone else to play?

I mean, not literally force, but i always have to tell people who say they want to play to finish making their character because the first session is coming up, or send out reminders when its time to play, otherwise people just don't seem to care enough to show up.

i wish i had a group to play with where i didn't have to worry about this shit.
>>
>>55159418
I was thinking cleric.
>>55159396
I could perhaps take magic initiate and get find familiar for the rogue's benefit.
>>
>>55159414
your brain is too big, you've defeated me
>>
>>55159449
I'd probably go Paladin just to have something in group with d10 hit dice instead of d8 but I doubt Cleric would be that behind
>>
What's a good split for monk/trickery cleric?
>>
>>55158490
Duh.
>>
File: weenie hut jrs.jpg (40KB, 500x383px)
weenie hut jrs.jpg
40KB, 500x383px
>running the same group for a while now
>level 1 to level 8
>lost mines to the tail end of storm king's thunder, a few side-adventures
>lost some players due to life and crap
>party of 3-4 is struggling

still a rookie DM (about a year-ish experience), any words of wisdom? hard to find anyone interested in jumping into a level 8 game and it's a pretty dumb way to let a game die out when i still have players itching for it.

they got run out of the weakest giant stronghold twice (even with hirelings), and got too spooked by the only other one they visited to attempt anything
>>
Playing my first game soon, having never played before, is this a good setup for a vengeance/great weapon paladin?
>>
>>55159555
Is it online or in person?
>>
>>55159561
Looks OK to me.
>>
>>55159447
not so much with reminders and helping people show, but i've been a player and dm for a number of games where most players are either too new or too awkward to get into any actual roleplaying or decision making: and it turns into a sad game of the one player who is into it is the face for the party and does ALL the choice making, not because they fucking want to but because when the group is presented with any situation they just... sit there and wait/watch quietly.

it's a role playing game god damn people
>>
File: Lankhmar-g.jpg (1MB, 1270x1825px)
Lankhmar-g.jpg
1MB, 1270x1825px
>>55157452
I use Fritz Lieber's Nehwon as a skeleton.
There's enough stuff to have a reasonable framework, but it's thin enough to allow me great creative freedom and not feel like I'm running someone else's campaign (like Forgotten Realms).
>>
>>55159589
online. i don't have the means to do many in person games these days.
>>
File: 1428774546467.jpg (20KB, 335x335px)
1428774546467.jpg
20KB, 335x335px
>>55159617
>one player who is into it is the face for the party and does ALL the choice making, not because they fucking want to but because when the group is presented with any situation they just... sit there and wait/watch quietly.
story of my life

>tfw ubermensch
>>
>>55159561
have higher strength
>>
>>55159639
If you don't mind having a semi-new player, I'd be happy to join you guys. I've got a couple characters I've been meaning to try but haven't had a good opportunity to do so yet.
>>
>>55159659
if you don't mind my (relatively) rookie DM status, sure come on down. got a discord i can nag you on/send and invite to? we play saturday nights.
>>
>>55159555
Better campaigns than yours have died this way, it's a part of young modern life.

My group of players is roughly 30 yrs old on average, (I'm substantially older) and this is the first group that has been stable for over 2 years in a long while.
>>
File: 1503641374135.jpg (56KB, 1024x763px)
1503641374135.jpg
56KB, 1024x763px
>>55159617
>it turns into a sad game of the one player who is into it is the face for the party and does ALL the choice making, not because they fucking want to but because when the group is presented with any situation they just... sit there and wait/watch quietly.
Everytime, doesn't matter what type of character I want to make I know I'll have to work in some kind of smarts because otherwise we'd just sit there staring at each other forever.
>>
>>55159674
For sure. And so on and so on#7178
>>
>>55159555
How many were they in the beginning and how did they do in level 1 to 3? How hard did you challenge them in combat? Maybe they should make a fresh start and roll new characters. They might be too reliant on numbers and developed bad habits.
>>
>>55159561
I'd swap your Charisma and Strength around. Strength is probably a bit more important if you're focusing on damage output.

Secondly, I'd swap Wisdom and Dexterity. Dex is hugely important for initiative rolls. Then again, I like fast characters, YMMV.
>>
>>55158756

Everything. The mechanics of 4e are nothing like 5e.
>>
>>55159705
a table rule is if 3 people show up at least who want to play, i'll run them through whatever and they deal with the consequences. and we have average about 3-4 people a game for the past few months. numbers haven't been big on their side in a long while. they were hurting for help so i tossed weak hirelings into the story for them to mess with for their (failed) attack on a giant keep. it gave a couple of the newer players a chance to mess with classes they'd not touched before and they loved it. so that was nice at least.
>>
>Be me playing 20 str paladin
>Stand right up in the face of a street thug
>Tell him to run or he's fucking dead
>"Roll intimidation"

Is this really necessary? Surely the DC in this scenario should be so laughably low you don't have to roll for this.

Then again, DM uses loot tables...
>>
>>55159805
Nigga, you're covered in plate. How is the thug gonna see how jacked you are?
>>
>>55159805
Some DM's will make you roll an Athletics check to climb an apple tree.
>>
>>55159805
>be street thug
>some pretty boy faggot walks up to me and threatens to murder me if I don't run away
>get angry and try to shank
>get murdered horrifically
>joke's on him, he falls
>>
>>55159862
>He wears plate
>>
>>55159805
>Street thugs trying to mug warriors in full plate to begin with
Your DM was always shit.
>>
>>55159902
You better if you play a paladin. Monks, barbarians and mystics are a whole another thing.
>>
>>55159927
Yes. Barbarians are pretty good and Mystics are shit meant to placate the most severely autistic neckbeards.
>>
>>55159323
Sneak attack is once a turn faggot
>>
>>55159948
Sounds like mystics trigger the most severely autistic neckbeards.
>>
File: 1234567890.jpg (88KB, 600x800px)
1234567890.jpg
88KB, 600x800px
Can we talk about how shit the Awakened mystic is?

Features:
Look into an objects past and put a psychic camera on it, only usable once per short rest

Spend your super flexible Focus that makes you good at everything in order to impose disadvantage on an enemy
>Implying it isn't easy to disadvantage someone already.

Become a slowass ghost once per long rest.
>>
A player creates a 5x5 barrel with Minor Illusion and ducks down inside of it hiding and breaking line of sight.
An enemy attacks the player in the barrel.
Is this roll at disadvantage?
>>
>>55160126
Yes, but after that it would be revealed to be an illusion.

You'd be better off taking the Dodge action if you don't have a bonus action Hide.
>>
>>55160126
Ranged Attack, yes, Melee Attack, it's at advantage. But the way you make it sound is the barrel has fucking 25 square feet of space in it, making it a fuckhuge barrel, if it's a normal barrel than what I said first is what I'm sticking with
>>
>>55160126

Yes, because they can't see him. He can spend an action to observe the barrel and deduce it's an illusion, which causes it to become faint, but you're better off attacking, because once something passes through it, the illusion also goes faint.
>>
File: 1502770183860.jpg (400KB, 1810x2560px)
1502770183860.jpg
400KB, 1810x2560px
New dm here,

I played my first session with a few friends who are also new and think I blew it. I was running someones premade adventure and started off with an encounter, continued it with a short rp session where it was essentially generic townspeople and a generic tavern, and then I threw another encounter at them.

I feel like rpwise I couldnt really think up of ways to spin the adventure's characters to make them interesting, but I dont know if standard dnd sessions have to be layered with interesting characters left and right.

I played the encounters just as regular monsters and the maps were essentially an open spaces with tokens. I feel like by the end of it they weren't too into it, but I can't tell.

Am I failing to do more, or am I fulfilling my job as a dm and theyre just not into dnd?
>>
>>55160085
No, Mystics are the class for Turbo-autists who look at Wizards, with their nigh infinite utility and combat potential and say "nope, just not enough. I need a class that's entirely customizable, so I can spend countless hours maximizing and tweaking my options. I will be the snowflakiest, and will have innumerable excuses to be "plotting my next move" and thus avoid making eye contact with anyone."
>>
>>55160258
You sound severely triggered, you severely autistic neckbeard. Why are you this upset? Like what the actual fuck?
>>
File: Townsfolk.jpg (56KB, 800x502px)
Townsfolk.jpg
56KB, 800x502px
>>55160219
It's not the DM's job to make a character interesting.
It's a DM's job to provide a setting wherein their characters can do interesting things, and achieve exciting goals.
30 yr DM here.
>>
>>55160100

Their disciplines are good tho
>>
>>55160126
>>55160177
I'd say disadvantage at ranged, regular roll at melee because they can't see him but he's more prone than not. Either way unless the roll is very low, the illusion is gone.

>>55160219
Some sessions simply turn out more underwhelming than the others, form an opinion after playing like three or so.
Though unless your session was 3 hours, 2 encounters sounds boring as fuck especially if they were skirmishes in open area.
>>
>>55160297
Do I?
Mystics are a forgettable and soon-to-be forgotten class that will get shoved into a specific setting one day, which will be underplayed and eventually abandoned (again).

Then as a DM I only have to occasionally deal with a weirdo who wants to be a Psionicist in a Sword and Sorcery setting. No sweat off my back.
>>
>>55160302
How do I make a setting where characters can do interesting things? Do you mean like making maps with side paths or small details that have lore behind it?
>>
>>55160331
You do, if you can't tell from the blathering and absurd reaction you gave, then you are literally autistic.
>>
>>55160331

Mystics are in more settings than you give them credit for.

Most people treat FR like it's the most popular setting, but it only seems that way because it's forced down our throats.

Eberron, Spelljammer, and Dark Sun are some of the most popular settings and Psionics are a big thing in all three of them.
>>
>>55159447
Nothing like as bad as you but there's one guy in our group who I keep having to remind about his own class features. In his defense this is his first ever game and revised rangers get frontloaded with so much shit I can't blame him for being a little overwhelmed with trying to remember everything he can do.
>>
File: Adventurers.jpg (1MB, 3104x938px)
Adventurers.jpg
1MB, 3104x938px
>>55160362
The "dungeons" whether they be actual dungeons or not, need to exist for a reason, and there should be compelling reasons for the players to want to visit them.

It helps to dangle long-term/expensive/hard to attain benchmarks, goals and achievements in front of the party, stuff they can't do at low level, but can feel they are working towards.

It also helps if they occasionally clear some threat, and while it doesn't have much in treasure, it helps out the nearby community, earning them praise and reward (the actual treasure) for their noteworthy and heroic deeds, and possibly even having future unforseen positive (or even interesting negative) impacts on the region.
>>
File: image.jpg (13KB, 219x250px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
13KB, 219x250px
>>55159617
>That one guy who literally never talks or engages in combat
>When he makes any decisions at all they're horrible ones

How do you tactfully kick somone out of a group for being awful
>>
>>55160381
>Eberron
"I wanna be a robot!"
>Spelljammer
>popular
Nigga please
>and Dark Sun
The only appropriate setting for Psionics, and so popular it will probably be the 10th setting published.
>>
>>55160476

>t. FR shill
>>
>>55160505
>Implying anyone actually runs FR
If you aren't making your own setting you're not doing it right
>>
>>55160476
You realize what the kalashtar and the quori from Eberron are, don't you? Surely you're not this autistic and retarded.
>>
>>55160505
Actually, I cannot stand FR with it's patchwork quilt of "every race and society we could splat together" tightly packed, and it's major cities ran by old PC's with preposterous power levels.

I'd sooner run Shitjammer than FR.
>>
>>55160535
Eberron is a shit setting designed to draw in MtG-lite and people who don't like Swords and Sorcery into the Dungeons and Dragons product.

It's a shitty, shitty setting. So I'm not surprised it's your favorite.
>>
I've thought about a character who lets others fight for him, giving them an easier time in combat while he himself doen't fight much. What would be a good class combination to achieve that?

3 levels in Mastermind for the help action at 30 feet and as bonus action is a given. Bard (unsure about the subclass) and battlemaster also seem like good choices. Anything else that would be good?

Also you get expertise from bard and rogue if you multiclass them, right?
>>
File: extra thicc.gif (2MB, 480x270px)
extra thicc.gif
2MB, 480x270px
>>55160219
open areas and no maps/tokens and whatnot is fine IF you can spin the yarn. set the mood a bit. details my friend. lay it on thick.
>>
>>55160589
>he thinks Eberron is shit
Shit taste detected.
>Sword And Sorcery
So you mean something that doesn't have any buisness being Run in any "modern" edition of D&D at all for the most part bar Dark Sun.

Oh look, Dark Sun, the Sword and Sorcery Setting packed to the brim with Psionics.
>>
>>55160589

Swords and Sorcery is the most boring way to do a setting, it's basically guttershit medieval with a bit of magic.

I like my worlds to be a bit more epic fantasy than that, with magitech and powerful empires.
>>
>>55160535
Kalashtar are D&D Vulcans custom made for the players at the far end of the spectrum.

Literally an emotionally autistic race.
>>
>>55160630
>with magitech
Go back to FF 14 plz.
>>
Idea for setting:
>Psionics p much dead
>Illithids extinct
>Everything becomes pretty much standard fantasy
>Suddenly, Thri-Kreen arrive from different dimension
>Their god grants their crazy, alien insect hive-brain psychic powers
>take over large swathes of land
>human kingdoms desperately trying to find a way to fight the psions since their magic and counterspelling stuff won't work
>Illithids left behind Warforged: created by putting slave-souls in them
>all Warforged are psionic, most of them have Soulknife powers
>Players tasked with activating Warforged and convincing the tortured souls within to use their powers against the Thri-Kreen invaders
>>
>>55160589
Does your wrangler know you're loose?
What basis do you have for your claims or do you like to talk shit without knowing what the fuck you're on about?

I would say never go full autistic retard but you went so far beyond it.
>>
>>55160659

Never played a final fantasy game, I just think it's the logical conclusion of any setting where magic exists for magic to become a science in of itself.

Any sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology.
>>
>>55160662
>trying to find a way to fight the psions since their magic and counterspelling stuff won't work
So they are immune to fireballs and calvary charges? I don't think you know how Thri-Kreen work at all.
>>
>>55160633
Do you like blathering or looking stupid?
>>
>>55160683
>Any sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology.

And you have the temerity to call Swords and Sorcery boring. Amusing.
>>
>>55160686
Well no, I mean for defense against the dumb mind control stuff.
And yes, it's not typically how Thri-kreen are but, y'know, bug people hive mind.
>>
>>55160688
I'm still technically correct, whatever you might think.
Sorry I hurt your fee-fees about your Awsum Setting, if that helps.
>>
>>55160708
Not only does magic offer protection from Mind Control, it offers ways in itself to control minds.

It's like saying that a society with Pyromancers would be dominated by a race that has mastered Advanced Molotov Cocktail skills.
>>
File: 1234567890.jpg (10KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1234567890.jpg
10KB, 480x360px
>>55160725

>I'm still technically correct

He's done it, he's won the thread, pack your bags everyone.
>>
>>55160743
Here's what (You) came here for, now fuck off.
>>
>>55160769
>Still can't refute the original point.
>>
>>55160219
Since nobody else is telling you, I'll tell you: You wasted your players time on this one.
It's okay though, it's an easy fix and everyone's a beginner at some point.

Let's teach you how to design a combat encounter, first of all.
A combat encounter never, ever happens in a white room. There is always something there. In a forest there are trees, but not just standing trees--there are fallen trees, vines, large bushes, thorny bushes... sometimes there is soft muddy ground where water collects, or a ditch from an old dried-up creek, or a still-running creek. If the trees are large, a fallen tree will provide cover. If there's a slope, trees might grow out of it horizontally before shooting straight up at a roughly 90 degree angle, which could be a form of cover. It might be foggy, or raining.
As a rule, when you design an encounter, start by--before you even consider who is there--consider where "there" is and what should naturally be there.
A warehouse will have crates and barrels, large shelving units, large hand carts or trucks to move heavy loads more easily, crowbars lying around, maybe a manual crank crane, potentially catwalks or rafter access.
Even an "empty field" isn't really empty. There's tall grass, low hollows or ditches, clear roads, areas full of gopher or prairie dog holes that are difficult terrain, low shrubs that are little thorny bastards that get caught on your boot laces.
Also, you can enhance any of these places by adding a structure if there still isn't enough. An old, half-collapsed farmhouse on that prairie could mean two solid walls and one partial wall with no roof. If that house is surrounded by tall grass it might have good visual cover from all sides even though some walls are missing, and old furniture inside made of heavy wood can be moveable cover for players.

Character limit coming up, but I've got more. Gimme a minute to write it up.
>>
>>55160760
Hrm. Fuckin' Psionics Handbook for 3.5 talks about them like they're totally able to override their magical equivalents.
>>
File: 1465074703636.jpg (34KB, 960x498px)
1465074703636.jpg
34KB, 960x498px
>DM has the big bad kidnap my paladin's wife
>will probably attempt to force me to be cooperative by threatening to vampirize her

time to fall lads
>>
>>55151065 →

Don't know if I should be insulted or not?

Just a note, I been on here just as long as 4+3. And a lot of the stuff from the last trove and the current one post in the OP came from me.
>>
>>55160792
Then you should go play that.
>>
File: 1234567890.png (7KB, 375x134px) Image search: [Google]
1234567890.png
7KB, 375x134px
>>55160778

>Implying he made a point to begin with, as opposed to just shitting on other settings and stating his subjective opinion as fact.

Just take your (you) and go
>>
So what are mystics exactly?
>>
>>55160725
"Kalashtar are commonly reserved, tranquil and tend to spend a significant time thinking something through before acting. They're kind and caring towards others though, in an intellectual manner rather than emotional.
It is not known exactly why kalashtar take a keen interest in controlling their emotions however, it is commonly believed that it is due to the turmoil they suffer from their conjoined souls. They express their friendship with a wry smile and through offhand comments rather than being cordial or making lewd jokes.
Beneath their serene makeup, kalashtar are at conflict with themselves and struggle to fend off insanity. At times they can begin to lose that struggle and display confusing and sometimes dangerous behavior."

Yeah, definitely like Vulcans.
I'm sorry you're severely autistic and retarded and have literally shit taste.
>>
>>55160792
What the fuck are you on about?

The 3.5 Handbook exiplictly calls out defense against magic is equivalent to defense against Psionics.

There's a rule that says you can say they're different but they also say that's a very, very bad idea.
>The default rule for the interaction of psionics and magic is simple: Powers interact with spells and spells interact with powers in the same way a spell or normal spell-like ability interacts with another spell or spell-like ability. This is known as psionics-magic transparency.
>>
>>55160838
Practitioners of mystical powers of the mind.
>>
>>55160821
I say Psionics are for Full Spectrum Kiddies in shitty snowflake settings
>Bitches don't know about muh Kalashtar
Literally a race of autistics who can't express themselves emotionally, only intellectually.
Literally, a race of Super-Autists.
>Y-you're a shitty dumbhead
that's what I got
>>
>>55160172
>>55160177
>>55160181
>>55160323
Thanks for the input. I like when /tg/ polling yields good results.
Here's another one along the same vein.

Player 1 spots the enemies and knows a few are casters. With a good initiative they decide to not risk much. They cast Minor Illusion and barrel themselves as before, hiding inside their huge 5x5 barrel.
Enemy 1 begins casting a spell, an awful fireball to nuke the party
Player 1 casts counterspell to stop this!
Enemy 1 wants to cast counterspell to counter the counterspell, but Player 1 cannot be seen in the trigger for Enemy 1's counterspell because they're in a barrel out of Line of Sight and thus 'cannot see a creature within 60ft casting a spell'

Would you allow the enemy to still cast counterspell?
>>
>>55160881
>stop liking what I don't like: the poster: the movie: the autism: part sixty three
It'd be better if we just didn't enable the shitposter.
>>
File: 1385662391465.jpg (15KB, 300x311px)
1385662391465.jpg
15KB, 300x311px
>>55160845
>Reserved and Tranquil
>Intellectual
>control their emotions out of fear of turmoil seething inside them

Yeah, nothing like Vulcans, you super-dumbass.
>>
>>55160874
Are they spellcasters? I don't wanna be that guy but it sounds like they're not!wizards?
>>
>>55160881
Did you actually bother to read or do you like being wrong? Can you actually read? Do you actually understand words and their meaning?
Do you fucking know what the quori are?

You sound severely autistic.
>>
>>55158245
>they are mammals

But... what? They have scales. Until I see a forgotten realms dragonborn pull its tit out and feed a recently hatched dragonbaby milk, I'm going to assume they're more reptile than mammal.
>>
>>55160909
Oh, give the full run down on Vulcans.
>>
>>55160914
t. Clearly Undiagnosed.
>>
>>55160881

(you)
>>
>>55160930
I felt the problem might be that people are genuinely unfamiliar with Vulcans.
>>
>>55160930
see
>>55160845
>>
>>55160912
Yes and no. Mystics are kinda like wizards but their power is something between a wizard and a sorcerer.
They think along the lines of "how can I pull more power from within?" and set out to hone their minds to move matter with their brains and attack people with their thoughts, as where the sorcerers just shit out magic and wizards tap into the weave through predetermined arcane rituals and spells.
>>
>>55160909
>are like this because they suffer turmoil from their twin conjoined souls
Yeah, like Vulcans, you literal retard.
Can you actually read?
>>
>>55160760
Now THAT sounds like it'd be fun.
>>
psionics shouldn't be more than a monk archetype

they don't deserve a full class, let alone a full book(s) like they've had in other editions
>>
>>55160789
I'm not OP, but this was really helpful. Thanks.
>>
>>55160966
Yes, they have a superficial fluff difference, which is helpful in avoiding lawsuits stemming from stealing Vulcans for "muh unique and awsum" setting.

Eberron is a hodge-podge of cribbed ideas jammed into an uncompelling Pathfinder-tier setting. Sorry.
>>
>>55160944
That's not helping.

>>55160954
If you can actually read the khalashtar are different again.
>>
Thinking about assembling my own DM screen. What are the most important tables?
>>
>>55160963
I get it. Sounds neat. Thank you dude.
>>
>>55160993
>If you can actually read the khalashtar are different again.
Yes, they replaced "Primitive Violent Instincts" with "Muh Twinned Soul".
They are practically the same thing.
>>
>>55160701
>Any sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology.
Not him, but is this not true?
>>
>>55160988

Just admit you want to play a setting where the majority of the people are gutterscum peasants living in squalor, and you get to play a supra strong knight or wizard, as opposed to playing in a setting where things aren't as simple.
>>
>>55160602
Anyone?
>>
>>55160789
>>55160219
The next thing you need to think about is "What makes this encounter interesting?"
You don't need to put an immense amount of thought into it, and sometimes using a cool, weird creature is interesting enough. Have your players ever fought a flail-snail?
The other big way to do something interesting to your players is to give it a cool place to happen. What if they're in a huge, communal gnomish barn that everyone in the gnome community shares (Which is a detail made up only to make the encounter interesting, of course) which has a half-dozen Magmins let loose in it by a masked man while the players are inside? By the end of round 1 they're in an inferno, and in trouble.
Another option for interesting place is to make a place that is under some condition that makes the battle scenario inherently different. The classic example is underwater combat, but what about a fight in a dungeon room where the floor moves on it's own initiative counts (10 and 20) by 10ft, like a conveyor belt? Random objects moving along it from whatever strange purpose the machine once served provide moving cover. If your enemies use those objects as cover and skirmish with the players, that makes the fight instantly dynamic.
Consider finding a way to restrict the players' vision or actions, as well. A Fog Cloud spell does this pretty much perfectly in an enclosed space, or a natural fog will do just as well. Thematically this works well with stealthy enemies, too--nothing will scare your players like them moving into an old ruin on the plains, full of stone columns and leafy shrubs, and then an unnatural fog suddenly rolls in as if from nowhere, with strange shapes flitting around the edges of their vision, among the columns. If your players are smart, they'll go back to back and cover each other. All by itself, having to cluster together and move as a group to not get picked off by stealthy enemies: cool encounter.
One more still
>>
>>55160988
>hodge-podge of cribbed ideas jammed into an uncompelling Pathfinder-tier setting
Soooo. Forgotten Realms?
>>
>>55160984
No, they should have removed the sorcerer and replaced it with the psion from the start.
>>
>>55161020
>Not him, but is this not true?
I can't really say, not actually living in a world with supernatural magic.
>>
>>55161021
I'm truly sorry your imagination is such a shriveled, useless thing.
>>
File: 1393700773828.gif (2MB, 479x349px)
1393700773828.gif
2MB, 479x349px
>>55160789
If you mean to say I should add more actual detail to my map then I understand, but what I do want to ask you is how do you propose I add smaller things like tools, or convey to the players that mundane details like tall grass or a pond mean something without outright telling them.

Should I go through the work of drawing even miniscule details like tools/really small environment details into the map?

As for the more mundane details should I just outright tell them "hey these spots might provide you an advantage if you want to do X"?
>>
>>55160984

I agree completely! Any part of the game that I don't personally enjoy should be deleted for everyone.
>>
>>55160988
And they have a literal nightmarish symbiote residing within within. That's definitely a fluff difference.
But yes continue to run your mouth off with stuff you don't know about and continue to look autistic and stupid. No, sorry that's a fluff difference, you are severely autistic and retarded.

You have literal shittaste, actually learn to read.
>>
>>55161037
Nope, Pathfinder.
Anyone wanting to play Eberron can just shuffle into a Pathfinder campaign and rename a few things.
>>
>>55160897
>Would you allow the enemy to still cast counterspell?
No, he can't see them. If the minor illusion would get too much abuse, I'd possibly change ruling. However the way I see it now, they spent an action to bind themselves to this one specific area while prone - it doesn't sound overpowered. A seasoned spellcaster would simply take a few steps back to get out of counterspell's relatively short range.
>>
>>55161064
Star Trek also did that first.
>>
>>55161017
Wat. Are you literally fucking retarded? You realize the twinned soul is also referring to their symbiote right, you severe autist.
>>
>>55161020

it is true, as people learn more about magic they learn more about what they can DO with magic, they learn about how they can apply it, how they can use it in new ways.

It stops being "Mystic force of the cosmos" and starts becoming "Measurable and workable force".

Some people like to play settings where magic is a mystical force.

I personally prefer magic being seen as a science, because it's human nature to want to understand.
>>
File: 1470364110052.png (391KB, 800x733px)
1470364110052.png
391KB, 800x733px
>>55161064
>>
Will you guys stop feeding the troll? It's pathetic.
>>
>>55161058
I'm sorry yours is entirely that. Actually learn to have an imagination without it being shriveled and useless.
>>
>>55161059
>Should I go through the work of drawing even miniscule details like tools/really small environment details into the map?

absolutely not. less is more. spin the yarn enough times and maybe start with a few vague markers for various common things like cover and low-points and whatnot, and hopefully they'll get the hint and start asking

>ok guy it's your turn what do you do
>is there any low point i can make out in that tall grass? we're in a field right? i need to make a hide check but no cover
>you bet there is the tallest grass would be over (bullshit it onto the map)
>>
>>55161116
I'm enjoying the angry banging of keys in valiant defense of Eberron, so shush.
>>
>>55160988

>Hodge-podge of ideas.

LITERALLY the entire basis behind Forgotten Realms dude.
>>
>>55160067
Yeah, but you don't hit every turn, faggot. An extra attack increases your chances.
>>
>>55161077
Golarion doesn't have anything that matches Eberron, though- Except MAYBE Mendev being similar in concept to Thrane? I know I'm replying to bait, but is it too much to ask for you to do a little research? And the races it shares with Pathfinder, Pathfinder shares with FR and every other setting.
>>
>>55161008
On your side: shit no one can remember. Conditions, Jumping Rules, Exhaustion, the Vision/Light rules.

On their side? Who gives a shit playing this game as a player is fucking braindead.
>>
>>55161091
Okay. Humor me, waiting for an explanation.

>>55161107
No need to get so buttblasted.
>>
>>55161138
being a DM isn't hard, get over yourself
>>
>>55161116
Some people are literally retarded and geniunely think like this.
>>
>>55161181

I don't think anyone's under the illusion they're going to convince him, because not even he believe it.

They just like arguing.
>>
>>55161129
Okay, if I get what you're saying I should work to incorporate larger details into the map so that it's not a barren landscape, and for smaller stuff have a plan as to what's in the environment that I can hint to a players can pick up on and use.
>>
File: 1384395184693.png (270KB, 505x477px)
1384395184693.png
270KB, 505x477px
>>55161181
And some people are easy to troll.
So very easy.
>>
>>55161134
I still don't see how it's not fair, If a rouge has 4 arms why can't he hit 3 times in a turn
>>
>>55161166
It isn't, but it is a bit harder. I mean that's like 5 tables. As opposed to the Shadowrun GM's screen which looks like fucking High School Calculus homework.
>>
>>55161025
>>55160789
>>55160219
Another solid thing you can do to make your players interested in an encounter is to give it a special mechanic unique to the encounter. This is something to do sparingly, because it makes the encounter partially a puzzle, but when done in a believable way it can enhance a battle and turn it into a roleplaying challenge.

The (level ~8) players are in a long room and a villain of some kind pulls a lever on the far side of the room, releasing a horde of zombies! From then on, occasionally the double portcullis doors to the sides will cycle--first the external gates, then the internal ones, disgorging fresh zombies into the room they're trapped at regular intervals.
They have to find their way across the room, climbing on furniture or stone platforms or floating platforms as appropriate to the dungeon setting and get to the other side and shut down the mechanism before they're flooded with too many Zombies to handle.
This kind of encounter is easy to set up and fun because it has an obvious objective, and the hard part is making it to the objective, which is a lot more interesting and less frustrating than simply not understanding the trick to the thing. As a general rule, any 'puzzle combat' mechanic should be fairly simple. It is, after all, an action scene.

The other important kind of encounter is a talkin' encounter, and these are even simpler to run. You just need to hit the checklist for the main talking NPC:

>Who is the NPC?
>Do they know the PCs? Do they like them?
>What is their goal in this conversation?
>What conversational tactic do they plan to use to reach that goal?
>If they can't talk their way through it, are they willing to fight? Are they willing to fight to the death?
>How does the NPC sound? What inflection and accent does he have? What type of words does he choose?

This is plenty for all but the most major of characters, and is a good starting point for even important NPCs.
>>
>>55161216
>I was only pretending to be retarded, I swear!
There's no need to pretend you're anything but severely autistic and retarded, we all know you are :^).
>>
File: 1400128994209.png (128KB, 308x308px)
1400128994209.png
128KB, 308x308px
>>55161226
>>
>>55161226
Pic related.

Seriously though, it's for balance reasons.
>>
>>55161263
>:^).
>>
File: 1477774730968.png (140KB, 300x300px)
1477774730968.png
140KB, 300x300px
>>55161226
>I don't see why it's not fair that this race with 4 arms can't attack 4 times a turn when "normal" ones are limited to 1 or 2
But more importantly
>Rouge
>>
>>55161226
I still don't see how it's fair if a rogue can attack three times?
>>
>>55161216
Your pathetic excuse for trolling was to look fucking idiotic and like you had severe autism? Holy shit.
>>
I wanna make a map for my setting. What are some cool things I could put in it?
>>
>>55160802
Friendly reminder that Paladins do not fall by failing to live up to their code, but only by willingly breaking from it. If you're torn between an evil and another evil, there is not a lot you can do. Your heart is human.

Think of it like when Superman is forced into compliance due to a threatened innocent--for all his power, he does whatever is necessary to protect their life, because that's the right thing to do in that scenario.
>>
>>55161269
But if it had 4 arms could it attack 3 times
>>
File: catwoman-2.jpg (105KB, 500x700px) Image search: [Google]
catwoman-2.jpg
105KB, 500x700px
>>55161362
This.
Falling is like when Batman "retires" to fuck some burglar in Italy.
>>
>>55161362

I sort of meant I would fall by tearing the fucker limb from limb and enjoying it but you're not technically wrong
>>
>>55161353
Good comeback, severely autistic. Next time you troll, actually make it seem you have a fucking clue what you're talking about otherwise you do look literally retarded and severely autistic.
>>
>>55160802
>not wanting your wife to live forever
Cuck
>>
File: Judge Dredd.jpg (11KB, 223x226px) Image search: [Google]
Judge Dredd.jpg
11KB, 223x226px
>>55161387
Paladins are allowed to take satisfaction and even enjoyment from Inflicting Justice.
>>
God fucking dammit I miss playing DnD with my friends.
>You will never see your HS feel depressed for unknowingly murdering his waifu again
>You'll never feel that sense of "woah you can do anything in this game" with your players when they find out some stupid but legit answer to one of the problems you presented to them again
>You'll never get your campaign complimented by your friends again
>You'll never see the red beady face of your group's cleric when he realises he's going to fucking die again
>You'll never see your players get really immersed in your story and start actually thinking about the moral dilemmas they have to get through and discuss your campaign even after the game again

Roll20 sucks ass
>>
How's this for a shardmind?

+2 Int +1 Dex

Telepathy: You can communicate telepathically with a creature that is within 5ft of you, provided it knows a language (You do not need to share a language)

Crystal Mind: You are resistant to Psychic damage

Living Construct: You do not need to Eat, Drink, Sleep or Breath. You can spend time performing light activities such as reading or taking watch instead of sleeping.

Shard Swarm: Once per short rest you may teleport up to half your movement to a location you can see.
>>
>>55161442
>used to be a great DM and had real passion for it
>now im an autistic wreck with a stutter who gets by as a player

just fucking kill me
>>
>>55161258
I appreciate the input, I'll be sure to consider all of this for my next game
>>
I really like the flavour of the Nomadic Mystic, seems really fun to play.

But what are some things that actually make use of such high mobility? What Disciplines would be good to have? Is a thrown weapon build with nomadic arrow viable?
>>
>>55161346
Depends, what kinda setting are you doing?
>>
>>55161474
Yeah I don't know if I was a great storyteller or my group just sucked my balls because I was the only one who had a really solid grasp on the rules and had the time to think up stories but I really enjoyed it. They offered me to play sometimes but I actually found playing as a PC pretty boring because as a DM you are basically controlling a multitude of personalities and all the monsters in combat so I think it's far more interesting.
>>
>>55161474
RPGs would help with the stutter, can't help with the autism though.
>>
>>55161346
A migrating mountain. It circumnavigates the continent every 10 years.
>>
File: uok.png (6KB, 106x61px) Image search: [Google]
uok.png
6KB, 106x61px
>>55161416

Get a room you two.
>>
>>55160963
I always imagined as Sorcerer's just inately knowing the rituals and shit that Wizards go through like how birds build nests and spiders builds webs. They still tap into the weave/ley line whatever.
>>
>>55161407
I really want to bring back old style 3e style paladin falling.
This 'teehee any alignment paladin let me smite even the innocent XDD' vengeance shit has to stop.
>>
>>55161346

an odd watchtower filled with ancient tech that no one understands.

At night you can sometimes see faint lights coming from the windows.
>>
Have you ever sicced an Inevitable on a player?
>>
>>55161607

Kill yourself.

5e was the best thing that ever happened to paladins.

Moral objectivity is the stupidest thing, as are alignments, which is why they're borderline non-existent for 5e bar restrictions on a few magical items.
>>
>>55160985
Always happy to help.

>>55161059
Draw major features like tall grass, walls, rocks, changes in elevation, etc.
I don't know what you mean by tools. Like if you're in a blacksmith shop having a fight and someone wants to grab a hammer, they'll go "I look for a hammer!" and you tell them they look around real fast and see one on the anvil. If you need to keep track of a dropped weapon or object, note it only as it becomes relevant--I.E., the fighter gets knocked flying and knocked out at the same time so his sword flies away from him and sticks into the ground dramatically. Note where it is with a quick doodle and erase it if someone else picks it up.

Basically, draw the overall map layout and add fun things so that there's cover, things to jump on, chairs to break over the heads of werewolves... y'know, detail.

You don't need to autistically keep track of every pebble, and you'd be crazy to try.

Also--this is more a retarded thing done by 3.pf kiddies but it bears mention: Do not bother trying to map out any non-combat map on a 5ft square grid. I cannot count how many times I've had some idiot map out an entire dungeon shoddily, reveal the whole thing and go "okay move your token to where you want to go."
This is clunky and slow and does screwy things where players are all moving apart from one another and you're herding cats, or they're trying to move together and you can't get them in sync and it's stupid.
If you haven't before, just use a marching order. Just use a marching order. It's so much better to use a marching order.
>>
>>55161649
THISSSSS
>>
File: 1475259440570.jpg (61KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
1475259440570.jpg
61KB, 960x960px
>Tfw trying to be the good boi Paladin in a party of 50 shades of neutral.
>Combat is always the final thing I want to try.
>While trying to talk down a spooky monster, half my party is trying to intimidate it.
>Eventually the party sorc just casts magic missile at it while I'm talking to it.

The worst part is that they keep surviving the fights they start almost unharmed.
>>
>>55161885
>the one non murderhobo in a pack of murderhobos

not a reflection on you
>>
>>55161720
>Do not bother trying to map out any non-combat map on a 5ft square grid. I cannot count how many times I've had some idiot map out an entire dungeon shoddily, reveal the whole thing and go "okay move your token to where you want to go."

Should I then only present one dungeon room at a time or do you mean something else?
>>
>>55162053
I believe he means grid maps are for combat only. You walk into a room and fight? Relevant. You walk into a room? Fuck the map.
>>
>>55160602
Sounds exactly like a bard who has a lot of support spells
>>
>>55161607
5e Paladins are great though.
They're not pigeonholed into only being useful against specific enemies which is perfect.
Also, if you have a Paladin player who's acting like a dickhole they need to re-read the Vengeance code. They're still meant to be good guys, just brutal about it. Batman, not Joker.
>>
>>55161607
But that's not how it works at all, in 5e you are still bound to your oaths, and vengeance doesn't let you just smite the innocent. Then again you'd know that if you actually read it
>>
mystic is perfectly balanced if not mid tier as long as you ban awakened and all of their disciplines, prove me wrong
>>
>>55162053
Describe the dungeon, don't map it.
I mean--map it for your notes so you can keep it straight, but don't show the players that.
Do it in the old way.
If they want a map, make them draw it. Roll20 drawing tools are fun for that.

What I do is roughly make a dungeon map in photoshop, put it into r20 on the GM layer so the players can't see it, then draw the dungeon entrance and the first hallway or room out for them.
After that, they're on their own. If they draw an inaccurate map, they risk getting lost.

Oldschool.
>>
>>55161607
I'm going to admit that I miss them being required to be Lawful Good and not consort with Evil people as well. Having said that, if there's a Vengeance paladin in your playgroup, they can still fall, just in different ways.

Let me preface this by saying that I don't encourage just making a player character's paladin fall willy-nilly. They should get in-game warnings that they are teetering on the edge, first from random NPCs who notice they're out of whack; next from a paladin who swore the same Oath; and finally from a divine being of some kind. Only thereafter do they fall. Unless they break it all at once, and flagrantly, of course, then they plummet. But otherwise, if they want to live on THE EDGE, well, part of living on THE EDGE is the risk of slipping off.

Some ways they can do so:

>Fight the Greater Evil
A paladin of vengeance must constantly searching for the way to best remove the most amount of evil from the world. A 7th level paladin of vengeance, for example, has graduated from bandits and goblins and should be looking for more dangerous foes of goodness. When confronted with a village that has a bandit problem while on the way to dealing with a dark lord, the paladin of vengeance should at most give the village some advice before heading on after the dark lord again.

>No Mercy for the Wicked
This one is easy to exploit if other members of the party want to spare the baddies for whatever reason. If the paladin of vengeance allow this, he has violated this tenet. If he doesn't, it drives a wedge in the party. Delicious.

>By Any Means Necessary
A train is hurtling down a track. If the lever is not pulled, it will pass by harmlessly. If you pull the lever, 5 innocent people will be run over, but so will the Dark Lord. A paladin of vengeance who doesn't pull the lever, isn't much of a paladin of vengeance.

>Restitution
The potential for conflict between this tenet and Fight the Greater Evil doesn't need to be stated.
>>
Does anyone use OrcPub to build their characters?

I can't seem to find the Revenant option, even with the Gothic Heroes sourcebook plugged in.
>>
>>55162274
Don't bother, it's getting shut down because the developer is a mouthbreathing fuckhead who thought he could sell 5e content without licensing it from WotC.
>>
>>55162274
Used to. It's getting shutdown in the next few days
>>
>>55162209
I like the suggestion, but I can't help but think that "make the players draw out their map" bit might turn off some players since it might slow down the pace of the game to ensure that you're getting every important detail off of dm and drawing it; and it also seems to me like it might be more of a chore than something interactive.

I really can't say with any certainty since i'm still a new dm, but has your experience doing that been positive with more than one group?
>>
>>55162274
No, the site doesn't seem to like me much for some reason.
>>
>>55162244
>A train is hurtling down a track. If the lever is not pulled, it will pass by harmlessly. If you pull the lever, 5 innocent people will be run over, but so will the Dark Lord. A paladin of vengeance who doesn't pull the lever, isn't much of a paladin of vengeance.
You're an idiot
>>
>>55162203

Awakened is shit, but their disciplines are super strong, they basically have a better magic missile.

Also, immortal has some really fucking stupid combos.
>>
>>55162274
It's getting shutdown soon because the developer thought he could charge for Wizard's content.
>>
>>55162308
>>55162313
>>55162371
Jesus, what a fuckhead.

This really sucks because it helped us out a lot over here, but thanks for letting me know.
>>
>>55162274
"I am very sorry to announce that I have to cancel this campaign. I will be shutting down OrcPub.com and OrcPub2.com very soon as well. I may reuse the infrastructure to support other games, we'll see. Sorry about any inconvenience this causes, I hope everyone understands I had nothing but good intentions, to help grow and strengthen the 5e community. I poured my heart and soul into OrcPub and received very little in return.

Sorry, I should have mentioned this is due to legal issues. I don't want to go into more detail because I don't want to open myself to further issues."

>I poured my heart and soul into OrcPub and received very little in return.
That's so fucking passive aggressive.
>>
>>55162350
Straight from the PHB, pg. 88:

>By Any Means Necessary. My qualms can't get in the way of exterminating my foes.

In fact, it was you who was the idiot this entire time! Paladins of Vengeance are meant to be the ULTIMATE EDGE, part of that means "civilian casualties are acceptable if the result is the destruction of evil."
>>
>>55162244
But that's wrong senpai
Paladins of Vengeance are clearly written with a sworn enemy in mind. Dragons, Devils, a specific evil empire--No Mercy for the Wicked says you never show mercy to your sworn enemies. Once you swear them your enemy, they die. All of them.
Anyone else, you can forgive, if the reasoning is good.

Basically, the Paladin of Vengeance only works well when the BBEG, or the type of being that is ravaging the countryside, is your sworn foe. As long as you're ANGRY ABOUT THESE GOD DAMN ZOMBIES ON MY LAWN you can venge the fuck out of dudes--but in that case, if you come across a town being fucked up by bandits, your best option is to defeat them with minimal casualties and either pass judgement on them yourself (if you lean Chaotic) which may mean execution
Or, if you're a lawful type, you send them back to the town to be judged by the proper authorities (which almost definitely means execution)
But in either case, your conscience is clear. You showed appropriate mercy by giving quarter and letting them see trial... even though you're a Paladin of Vengeance.
My point is that you're well within your rights to see them all dead, if that's what you consider justice, but it helps to do it in the proper way--and if you don't feel them dying is justice, you are well within your right (and morally obligated) to spare them and try to redeem them.

Actually, while it wasn't an especially good movie, the Punisher film was a really good vibe for a Vengeance Paladin.
He'll kill you super fuckin dead because you're his sworn enemy, and he's a chilly dude, but he still sticks up for the innocent. He's not a bad man, just a badass.
>>
>>55162364
awakened is fine.

>Also, immortal has some really fucking stupid combos
I disagree
>>
>>55162397
Bastard-man
>>
>>55162398
Not only did you use the trolley problem seriously, you used it in a context that doesn't even kind of make sense or apply if you think about it critically to try and prove a point that's not really true.
>>
>>55162318
I cut my teeth on IRC games for years. We literally never used a map, and I had no problem with that. I don't understand the fixation that you NEED to use a map. ToTM it all.
>>
>>55162244
Lack of qualms isn't talking about murdering innocent children when there's some other option, it's about being able to take that other option instead of going "oh no I can't kill the kids, what do I do now?"
>>
>>55162431

Awakened's features have nothing to do with their disciplines,

Then can look at the past of an object and insert a camera into it.

They can spend their focus, something that's incredibly valuable to a mystic since it allows them to be versatile, to impose disadvantage for one saving throw, then you can't get your focus back or use it again until a short rest.

Then their cap stone is halfing their speed for reduced damage and ability to phase through things. Maybe fitting for immortal since they're fighters, but for what's meant to be a blaster? Eh.

Brute force can be comboed with other things to make a nuclear mystic.
>>
File: punisher1.jpg (72KB, 600x690px) Image search: [Google]
punisher1.jpg
72KB, 600x690px
>>55162404
I suppose it comes down a bit to interpretation; my point, however, was that it's still easy to make a Paladin of Vengeance fall by exploiting the loopholes and inconsistencies in the Oath's tenets. Even if the Oath is meant to be sworn against John Travolta, for example, you can still throw the Paladin into a moral conundrum when going left will allow them to save a village from bandits; and going right will let them kill Travolta. Their Oath requires that they chase Travolta, being a decent person requires they save the village. Take the left turn, your Oath is imperiled. Take the right turn, your Alignment shifts closer to Evil.

Likewise, if pulling a lever will kill 5 innocents and John Travolta, then the Vengeance paladin must pull the lever or else risk that their oath will be imperiled.

(I, too, have seen the Punisher film...and actually I liked, though with the caveat that it and the Punisher should never, ever, EVER be part of a larger superhero universe. In his own crime/noir universe, the Punisher can be an anti-hero and fully enjoyable. In the context of the larger Marvel universe, the Punisher is a straight-up villain. Pic related ranks EXTREMELY high on my list of favorite comic book scenes)
>>
>>55162564

It's honestly down to the DM, there's no mechanical RAW to take away a paladin's powers.
>>
>>55161562
A generic one. Fantasyland.
>>
File: Knight2hsword.jpg (36KB, 564x899px) Image search: [Google]
Knight2hsword.jpg
36KB, 564x899px
>>55162564
>Even if the Oath is meant to be sworn against John Travolta, for example, you can still throw the Paladin into a moral conundrum when going left will allow them to save a village from bandits; and going right will let them kill Travolta.

If they've sworn a life-oath to destroy Travolta, he has to represent a far more devastating threat to all the Paladin holds dear than the pillaging of Village X.

Paladins don't Oath to get back at the guy who bullied them in High School. They Oath to defend humanity/defeat super-threats to their race/ethos/existence.

Village is just going to have to hope for another hero. My advice is don't Paladin, as you don't understand it very well.
>>
>>55162483
Not him but I wish I could do that, the issue is I have two players, out of five, who bog down the game anytime there isn't a map because they can't retain information of how far they are from x or y for more that thirty seconds.
>>
>>55162587
Not exactly. The PHB does provide that a paladin who breaks their Oath may be forced to abandon the class in favor of another; or take the Oathbreaker prestige class. While the specific method as to how it happens, and its limits, aren't outlined, that SOMETHING will happen is quite explicit.
>>
>>55162648

It's in a sidebar and says that it's at the DM's disgression to do so

>At the DM's discretion, an impenitent paladin might be forced to abandon this class and adopt another
>>
>>55162648
>>55162686
Exactly, a Paladin can repent/do penance, and carry on with his Oath.
It's not intended to be a gotcha-mechanism for anyone but the shittiest of DMs.
>>
Anyone taken a look at:

https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/sage-advice/rules-references-august-2017
>>
>>55162524
>Then can look at the past of an object and insert a camera into it.
Which basically means that you can solve any kind of mystery once per short rest unless the GM actively goes out of his way to avoid you being able to abuse this by redoing everything.

>They can spend their focus, something that's incredibly valuable to a mystic since it allows them to be versatile, to impose disadvantage for one saving throw
Which may be the saving throw they need to shut down the last guy they're fighting for the day, since the awakend and really mystics in general have lots of extremely fucked up things they can do if you fail a save.

I agree it doesn't really mesh with the disciplines well, but they're strong enough options, unlike soul knife who kind of sucks and encourages you to get mad about people KSing you

>Brute force can be comboed with other things to make a nuclear mystic.
All this stuff requires you to spend most of your PP and spend 1 or more turns setting this stuff up. It's strong but it's not too different from paladins going ape, if not weaker than properly minmaxed paladin ones. Also mystics dont have a proper extra attack for melee weapons, and everything that gives them more attacks uses even more PP and makes their action economy even more clogged
>>
File: b5a.jpg (23KB, 255x222px) Image search: [Google]
b5a.jpg
23KB, 255x222px
>Had a player pick Vengeance Paladin
>He thought this meant he could do anything and still be a Paladin
>Explained to him before the campaign even started it didn't and the consequences of such actions
>Gave several warnings in game
>So far as another Paladin of the same oath spitting on him and challenging him to a duel
>He kept at it
>Threw a fit when I told him he woke up
>His symbol shattered
>The world around him dull as his senses no longer picked up good or evil
>Mfw he said it was bullshit and I can't just make him fall for no reason
I don't understand what it is about this class that makes people think they get to do whatever and still be a Paladin.
>>
>>55162564
>if pulling a lever will kill 5 innocents and John Travolta, then the Vengeance paladin must pull the lever or else risk that their oath will be imperiled.
Or find another way, which always exists if you have a big enough lack of qualms and dont care about the consequences to yourself
>>
>>55162612
>Village is just going to have to hope for another hero.

...that's my point. Why are you arguing with me? We're in agreement. The key to making a Paladin of Vengeance fall is by exploiting the fact that being a Paladin of Vengeance will frequently require them to NOT be a Good person. A Good person would stay and help the village with its bandit problem; I mean, unless they knew for a fact that John Travolta was in the middle of a specific evil thing right that very moment. Being a Paladin of Vengeance means looking into the tear-filled eyes of poor, starving people who have no chance and will die without your help, and saying "no".

(Contrast to, say, Samurai Jack, who would constantly help people in the Future That Is Aku even though the most efficient use of his time would have been doing nothing but hunting down the time portals. Several times Jack actually deliberately did NOT enter time portals, in fact, precisely because there were still people who needed his help. In a way, a good way to play a Vengeance paladin would be to always ask, "what would Jack NOT do?")

Making a Paladin of Vengeance fall means making the player of the Paladin push exactly how far they're willing to take their Oath to do anything to exterminate the thing they've sworn Vengeance against, and catching them the moment that the Oath becomes too much for them. They stay to help the village. They don't throw the lever, letting five innocents - and John Travolta - live. And so on.
>>
Can you be a non-evil Treachery paladin or is that skimming too close to edgelord snowflake territory?

Treachery paladin 2/swashbuckler rogue X sounds like some good shit.
>>
>>55162777

I honestly don't look at the mystery things, because my campaigns are typically more combat orientated. It also steps on Knowledge cleric's toes a bit, since they have a very similar ability and they have to wait until level 17 to get it, while mystics get it at level 3.

I really think the imposing disadvantage isn't that great, since most of their saves target int which isn't a good save anyway.

I personally think they should go about reworking Awakened into a blaster, since that's what most of their disciplines seem to be about.
>>
>>55162832

I have to say though, jack passing up going into time portals to help people was stupid af, because if he went back to the past and killed Aku they wouldn't need saving in the first place.
>>
>>55162804
Sure, another way probably exists. That's kind of not the point of the metaphor, however. The point is, IF the Vengeance paladin finds himself in a binary situation, and he must choose between being Good and fulfilling his Oath, then Vengeance paladin must fulfill his Oath, or else that oath will become imperiled.
>>
>>55162878
Kind of not the point.
>>
>>55162853
You can, although why not just be Evil?
>>
Help me build a halfling cavalier who's end goal is to have a blink dog mount in a world where guns are in play as a reasonable ranged option. For reference the rest of the party would be a cleric (light), gunslinger fighter, bard (lore), and bard(valor/whispers)/rogue(I think assassin).
>>
#1 rule for all Paladins: it's pronounced like Paula Deen
>>
Let me spin you the tale of Jarvis the CE paladin who swore a Vengeance oath against 'Children and Women' after they burned down his home. (Why? Who knows, they never specified) Vengeance including obv death and off screen ra-

Ya know what, no, I don't even want to recall this player. I'm out.
At the end of the day, 5e paladins aren't paladins. They're 'two level dips for smite that sorcs/bards take to be unstoppable.'
That's it.
>>
>>55163042
Fuck you now I can't unhear it
>>
>>55162832
>The key to making a Paladin of Vengeance fall is by exploiting the fact that being a Paladin of Vengeance will frequently require them to NOT be a Good person.
No one expects to be able to right every wrong and stop every injustice, unless they are Silver Age Superman.

Samurai Jack wasn't a paladin who gained divine powers through the strength of his oath, he was a Kensai who was really pissed about a Demon fucking up his life.

>Making a Paladin of Vengeance fall means making the player of the Paladin push exactly how far they're willing to take their Oath
Cunt DM detected.
>>
File: c20.png (273KB, 674x666px) Image search: [Google]
c20.png
273KB, 674x666px
Why don't we have an official Discord server?
>>
>>55163042
>Paula Deen
That will be the name of my next Paladin lol
>>
>>55163197
No good would come of it.
>>
>>55163197
Lets be honest, people on 4chan aren't exactly high quality and associating with them more than necessary is no bueno.
>>
>>55163142
>No one expects to be able to right every wrong and stop every injustice
>Cunt DM detected.

You're missing the forest for the trees for multiple reasons.

First off, I started off this whole shebang by stating that a DM shouldn't make a paladin fall willy-nilly, but rather should give plenty of warnings that he is impelling his Oath (unless the player does something flagrantly against it - in the case of a Paladin of Vengeance, this might be something as dramatic as, say, switching sides to work for John Travolta).

Secondly, my point was to provide examples of how a Paladin of Vengeance COULD fall, the point being that being a Paladin of Vengeance is not a "get out of falling free" card. You take an Oath. That Oath has tenets. Those tenets can be violated. Violating them runs the risk of making you fall. Players who take the Oath of Vengeance under the impression that they basically get all the benefits of being a Paladin and none of the potential consequences are the real cunts.

Third and finally, I did not say that Jack was a paladin. I was using him as an example of the OPPOSITE of how a Paladin of Vengeance should act, with regards to a choice between helping a village or stopping their sworn enemy: Jack chooses the village; a Paladin of Vengeance chooses the enemy. A Paladin of Vengeance who chooses the village, has imperiled his Oath - he doesn't necessarily fall then and there, but he has put it at risk. That does not require that Jack himself be a paladin, however.
>>
>>55163285
That's a nice way of saying that 9/10's of /tg/ are REEEing shitlords who find even the relatively antisocial R20 environment challenging.
>>
>>55163197
Well technically there is one, its just so fucking autistic no one but the aitists in it bring it up
>>
Any suggestions on which spellcasting class is the most 'fun'? I'm not looking to pump out tons of damage, but would like to throw spells around. My first dip in the water is a Bard I'll be playing in one campaign, but we're going to running a second every other Saturday with more people. I'm just looking to keep trying out fun spellcasting, instead of falling back into my beatshield ways.
>>
>>55163342
Again, Paladins in 5e are not intended to be walking a tightrope while the ""clever"" DM starts stacking plates in their arms.
The entire concept of "falling" is an optional rule meant to be a part of voluntary roleplaying drama, not something that *pops* when the DM checks an appropriate number of Gotcha-boxes on their DM screen.

You'd be a shit DM if you actually had a game.
>>
>>55163390
I find roleplaying characters to be "fun".
Not spellcasting mechanics.
However, Warlock is generally the LEAST entertaining, as it has very little practical spellcasting.
>>
How are these for some magic items I want to include in my game? They are pretty basic, but I don't want to turn the characters into their items (in the sense of them relying on them all the time).

Goemon's Scroll
Wondrous Item, Legendary (requires attunement)
Slot: Item (worn)
Value: ---

When you attune to this item you must choose either Intellegence, Wisdom or Charisma as the spell casting ability for use with it. While attuned to this item, you gain a +1 bonus to spell attack rolls and spell dave DC. The Scroll has 15 charges and regains 1d4+3 expended charges daily, at dawn.

When attuned to this item, you may use an action to expend some of its charges to cast one of the following spells from it:

Fireball (3 charges)
Lightning Bolt (3 charges)
Tidal Wave (3 charges)
Ice Storm (4 charges)
Wall of Stone (5 charges)

Description: Furled in a dark leather case, this large, rolled scroll contains the collected teachings of the legendary ninja, Ishikawa Goemon. An apt user of the magic arts, Goemon believed a ninja's true power lay in their versatility and the element of surprise; thus he spent years devising a means to allow other practicitioners of his art to harness the elements and use them to their advantage. This scroll, when unfurled, can be used to summon the forces of nature as a means of attack or distraction, giving the wily ninja the upper hand.

cont.
>>
File: Orpheus.jpg (13KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
Orpheus.jpg
13KB, 480x360px
>>55163456
That said, a Warlock with enough pizzazz can be entertaining, lack of varied casting nonwithstanding.
>>
File: Durandal_V2_by_10shadow10.png (234KB, 558x1163px) Image search: [Google]
Durandal_V2_by_10shadow10.png
234KB, 558x1163px
>>55163476
Durandal, the Peerless Blade
Greatsword, Legendary (requires attunement)
Slot: Weapon

You gain a +3 bonus to attack and damage rolls with this magic longsword. This weapon also deals an additional 2d6 Force damage. Once per long rest, you may use an action to cast Spirit Guardians as a 5th level spell.

Description: Dark blue metal with a golden edge that never dulls, a golden hilt and crossguard, Durandal is the masterwork of a smith long forgotten. Infused with magic that can summon the souls of great warriors, the blade is reputed to take into it the essense of its wielders as they die, adding them to the great host of spirits it can call on as needed.
>>
Okay then. I'll not bring Discord up again.

Eldritch Knight is better then Bladesinger
>>
>>55163476
>Goemon believed a ninja's true power lay in their versatility and the element of surprise
Clearly he believed it lied in reducing his foes to ash wholesale with powerful Evocations.
>>
>>55163492
Caliburn
Rapier, Legendary (requires attunement)

You gain a +3 bonus to attack and damage rolls with this magic rapier. This weapon also deals an additional 1d8 Ice damage damage. Once per long rest, you may use an action to cast Cone of cold as a 5th level spell. A creature killed with this weapon becomes a frozen statue that cannot thaw unless by magical means.

Description: Confouding smiths the world over, Caliburn appears to be made of a silvered metal unknown to them all. Ice cold to the touch, this elegant blade has been known to kill with the smallest of cuts, the magic within chilling the hearts of those it wounds and stopping them dead. The frost then coats them, freezing them into a statue, grotesque reminder of their fate.
>>
>>55159555
Give them each a second character (have these characters be like lvl 7) that you rp out of combat and they control in combat.
They'll be fine
>>
File: young-wols-howl-2.jpg (112KB, 592x337px) Image search: [Google]
young-wols-howl-2.jpg
112KB, 592x337px
>>55163515
Surprise! The dude in question is already taking heaps of Illusion magic and shit so I thought we'd just go Naruto on his ass with this.

>>55163517
Galantine, Sword of the Sun
Longsword, Legendary (requires attunement)

You gain a +3 bonus to attack and damage rolls with this magic rapier. This weapon also deals an additional 1d8/1d10 (based on versatile) Fire damage and 1d8/1d10 Radiant damage. Once per long rest, you may use an action to cast Flame Strike as a 5th level spell.

Description: Glowing with an inner heat, this longsword burns orange and gold near the hilt and through most of the refined blade. Legends tell of it being forged in the heart of a divine star, the essense of a god from another realm granting unto it the power to cleanse the unholy and burn the wicked. A relic vaunted by paladins and clerics the world over, Galantine has been a force behind heroic deeds for many generations.
>>
>>55163197
There is, there was just some drama ages ago that like two anons on here keep dregging up whenever it's posted here.

Here you go. http://discord.me/5eg
>>
>>55163517
So what spell unthaws them
>>
File: no-sir-I-dont-like-it.gif (121KB, 500x511px) Image search: [Google]
no-sir-I-dont-like-it.gif
121KB, 500x511px
>>55163492
>>55163517
Boring and Videogamey.
>>
>>55163476
>>55163492
>>55163517
>>55163543
Ok Mercer that's enough
>>
>>55163572
Even Mercer has more imagination than this.
>>
>>55163424
>Again, Paladins in 5e are not intended to be walking a tightrope while the ""clever"" DM starts stacking plates in their arms.

And I never said they should be. The entire thing started with me responding to >>55161607, with an Anon annoyed with " 'teehee any alignment paladin let me smite even the innocent XDD' vengeance shit". I was providing examples of ways that a Vengeance paladin can still find their Oath imperiled.

Sidebars are not automatically optional or variant rules, unless they're specifically flagged as such (RE: Compare how the variant human sidebar specifically states its a variant right at the start, to the paladin oath sidebar; likewise, nowhere in the book is it mentioned that sidebars are automatically variants). Exactly HOW and WHAT happens if/when a paladin falls is left up to the DM's discretion, but as near as I can tell from the wording of the sidebar, that they CAN fall is part of the core D&D 5e game. A player should not assume that their paladin is incapable of falling unless given good reason to think this from their DM, although I personally would not be interested in playing in such a game on either side of the DM screen - part of the fun in playing a paladin is the struggle and quandary, I think.
>>
File: 1381305747200.jpg (9KB, 184x184px)
1381305747200.jpg
9KB, 184x184px
>>55163576
Jesus H Christ, you've Autism'd me into giving up the discussion.
The fuck.
>>
>>55163575
The man has to be a little burned out at this point, these are the ones he tossed aside
>>
File: Queen of the forest.jpg (141KB, 500x774px) Image search: [Google]
Queen of the forest.jpg
141KB, 500x774px
>>55162792
It's the issue you get to see as a forever DM, and why I'd rather run a game for a party of DM's that have read the MM and DMG and lose some of that magic versus a party of perpetual PC's.

The issue is this: The PC, like 95% of the time, is only thinking about their character. They make all their choices based upon trying to be the most at whatever their character's "thing" is, instead of playing a nuanced person. If they're gonna be a bard, they have to be the silliest, most lolsorandum one. If they're a rogue they have to be the quintessential dickass thief. If they're the paladin of vengeance, they have to be the biggest edgelord dick possible. It's all some sort of weird nerd posturing, since they don't want to actually measure dicks or fight someone they do it in character.
This is not hard and fast of course.
I have an eldritch knight who's dm'd in my current campaign who is the edgiest fucker around and it's annoying, while this is the rogue's first character ever and he's pretty chill and party-focused.
>>
>>55163552
Ones relating to heat, anything the players can pitch to make sense with it.

>>55163554
Ok, what would you go for? They're meant to be scattered around the world or in the hands of powerful people already, and designed to be basic as fuck so the characters still get to be what they built but have some additional boom once in a while.

>>55163572
Yes I did base these of how Mercer lays out his ones. They're easy to read and people can't abuse wording in their text to fuck your game over.
>>
>>55162318
Not really. The general rule from oldschool D&D was that if it was a complicated room like a cavern with an abnormal shape, you could elect to help draw it in for them rather than trying to describe something unreasonably complex. Ditto with any maps that have weird furniture arrangements or whatever.

There's a secret though.
The overall purpose of making them draw the map actually has nothing to do with not getting lost. The real reason is that it makes them listen carefully to descriptions, ask engaging questions, and imagine the environment--even details that wouldn't appear on the map, like how fungus runs down the walls and so on. If you're a good dungeon designer, you'll quickly learn to make designs sectoral... that is, if this room has water dripping down the east wall from some unseen current, the room on the other side of the bricked-off river will produce moisture too. This kind of thing, which players will start to pick up on, lends a real sense of place to a dungeon.
>>
>Elephants are 200gp
>Warhorses are 400gp
Why the fuck are elephants so cheap?
>>
>>55163602
You're the one who thinks that me saying "I think that, under certain circumstances, paladins can fall" translates to me laughing maniacally and thwacking the players of paladins with ball-peen hammers. If there's an autist here, it isn't me.
>>
>>55163456
>I find roleplaying characters to be "fun".
>Not spellcasting mechanics.
I'm having a blast as a necromancer with a skeleton army, but the bigger it grows, the less fun I have keeping track of all their individual turns and HP, and the less fun everyone at the table has while I have to roll for every last one of them.
>>
>>55163610
All you've done is taken the Frost Brand, given it MAXIMUM BONUS, notched up the damage, and in the case of two of them added rarely resisted damage.
Oh and a once a long rest spell.
Not only are they not interesting, they are all samey to one another.

Petra's Mountain Greatbow
Weapon, Very Rare, Attuned

Damage: 2d6 piercing Wgt: 5lbs
Properties Heavy, Two Handed, Ammo
Siege (x2 damage vs objects)
Range 150/4800
Arrows shot from the bow are treated as Adamant against damage resistance, but normal arrows are automatically destroyed when they strike their target

A composite recurve bow master-crafted by the ancient heroine Petra Lion's-blood.
Fashioned from layers of grey yew and the horn and sinew of the Hunger Mt. Ibex.
Imbued with Anima by Lyander of Argyre, it has an almost effortless draw despite its considerable size and power.
The Greatbow launches arrows with amazing velocity, striking targets as distant as 1 milia with ease.
>>
>>55163691
Welcome to the reason most DMs and PCs hate necromancers
>>
>>55163716
Hasn't anyone come up with a better way to handle all this? I want to talk to the DM about it.
>>
>>55163728
Roll in chunks, or don't do it at all, so if you are attacking this one roll counts for x amount attacking and the damage roll is x damage from each.
>>
>>55163728
Use swarm-like mechanics. The entire group of skeletons has a single HP pool, and at certain HP thresholds some die. When moving them, move them as small groups and use a single roll for how many hit when they attack, possibly by how much higher or lower than the target's AC you get.
>>
>>55163728
1. Don't allow Animate Dead
2. Have sane people react appropriately to armies of risen corpses marching across the land.

Personally I go for the former, if I allow Necromancers at all (which I usually do not).
>>
>>55163728
The DM only picking one type of creature to summon and just using averages for their health/damage, and he can just roll 6 dice at a time for their attacks
Using a swarm-like mechanic where you just have a group of 6 skeletons that slowly die as the overall group loses health.
Telling the druid to not memorize every single summoning spell every day
Having a paladin show up and try to destroy the necromancer raising an undead army
Not allowing summoners
>>
>>55163710
Shouldn't it be 5280 ft max range?

And yeah man, kept them basic as fuck, like I said. I was gonna look at scaling ones, but that seems like too much shit to keep track of in a game with a million things to track already.

Also this prevents any one of the party getting shitty or jealous of the others. Or so I hope.
>>
>>55163789
It's based on a Roman mile.
>>
File: 2spooky4skell.jpg (92KB, 500x332px) Image search: [Google]
2spooky4skell.jpg
92KB, 500x332px
>>55163744
>>55163760
>>55163785
Thanks for the tips, lads.

>>55163765
It does sound interesting to scare off sane opponents but you sound like a ninny.
>>
>>55163039
>Gunslinger Fighter
Shitty homebrew detected. Abandon campaign!
Your guns will explode at random for your having the audacity to try and use them. You will lose fingers for no reason at all.
Don't do it man
>>
File: 1379520578766.png (153KB, 405x405px) Image search: [Google]
1379520578766.png
153KB, 405x405px
>>55163837
I'm not the one abusing a mechanic to the detriment of the fun being experienced by the rest of the table.
>>
>>55163845
I'm not abusing the mechanic, I'm simply using it. It's the only card I've got, and I just looked into ways to streamline my shit.
>>
>>55163876
>It's the only card I've got
Oh fuck off.
>>
>>55163841
We're months in and I'm doing well with the gunslinger, having a racial reroll ones is an amazing deterrent to exploding.
>>
>>55163887
I've saved my party members from permakills on 3 occasions, thank you.
>>
File: Frank.png (690KB, 5000x5000px) Image search: [Google]
Frank.png
690KB, 5000x5000px
>>55163904
Even you aren't oblivious to the fact that your quadruple-length turns are wearing on their patience.

And if your party has been nearly wiped 3 times at the stage where Skeletons are still super-effective, then either your DM needs to get a grip on CR, or your group needs to stop blundering into shit behind your wall of bones.
>>
>>55163904
Thats great - but youre still a wizard. Even without using schools you're a damned capable class, and that's what people are reacting to. Summoner style characters bog down the game damned near every time they are used.
>>
>>55163626
Because it's just an elephant, not a trained riding elephant. Training a Warhorse is a specialized profession and a lot of work.

Also, those are just base prices. If you're a thousand miles from where you'd normally find elephants they'll cost 20x that if you can find one at all.
>>
>>55163995
Not to mention that the DM is almost certainly beefing up encounters to account for his permanent entourage, hence the near wipes.
>>
is there a reason why you would use the blowgun? seems odd that it's a martial weapon to me...
>>
>>55163988
You really have a bone to pick with necromancers, don't you?

>>55163995
Which is why I asked for alternative ways to handle the load as soon as I started feeling like I was in a checkout line frantically trying to count his change and leave so the line can progress.
>>
>>55163904
>3 wipes at the point where skeletons are useful
Your DM is beefing up encounters BECAUSE you have a constant wall of skeletons. So guess why you're getting wiped so much.
>>
>>55164014
This. A trained War Elephant that won't panic in battle, and swings a weapon with it's trunk, would cost a fortune.

You're buying a huge hay-burner that can carry a howdah but will run like a bitch at the first sign of Tiger or a torch waved in it's face.
>>
>>55163390

Bard or Wiz

Wizards are the masters of utility, largest spell list and most spells usable at one time, can regenerate a couple spell slots on a short rest and can cast rituals unprepared.

Bards can steal spells from other classes and are generally good at everything

Warlock is mostly casting hex and eldritch blast, but can learn to cast a select few spells at will.

Don't play sorcerer ever. They have a few niche mechanics that make them unique, but other casters bring more to the table.
>>
>>55164014
>>55164047
How should I handle it being spooked and going crazy in a fight or something?
>>
Does anyone's DM actually enforce spell components? How are you supposed to get seawater in a desert campaign, and all that?
>>
New Thread
>>55164079
New Thread
>>55164079
New Thread
>>55164079
New Thread
>>55164079
>>
>>55163892
I don't get why anyone thinks that's how guns work.
Early firearms were never like that, ever.
No sane warrior will use a weapon that has a 5% chance of failing at random when he's fighting with his life on the line.

Plus, the Mercer Gunslinger is shit and doesn't follow 5e design paradigms at all.

The gun rules from the DMG are way better, and you can use them as a Battlemaster fighter to be a gunslinger. It's better than Mercer's OP-videogame-dps-with-random-fuck-yous bullshit, and you're not totally fucked if you try to diversify your weapons.

I wish people would stop obsessing over that show so much. It's alright as a watch and everything, but it's not the be-all and end-all of D&D.
>>
>>55164085
I enforce gp cost components, especially expendable ones. that's about it.
>>
File: read the book black man.png (72KB, 711x798px) Image search: [Google]
read the book black man.png
72KB, 711x798px
>>55164085
spellcasting focus/component pouch handles all non-gold value items. Gotta buy gold valued items
>>
Its safe to assume the silver for the ceremony spell is consumed, right?
>>
>>55162853
>Treachery paladin 2
Paladins don't have an oath at level 2
>>
>>55164072
It's an animal.
You're the DM.
You control it in the first place, if you're doing it right.

A scared animal will run if it can, fight if it can't.
A pissed animal will fight until it is scared, and then run.
>>
>>55164027
I houseruled it into something sneaky. It's easily hidden and makes barely any noise when shot. Great for delivering poisons.
>>
>>55164085
>>55164085
That's what your component pouch is. Components aren't used up unless stated, so you at some point bought it off a merchant or such.
>>
>>55164105
The Mercer guns don't even explode, they just have a chance to fuck up which needs a quick fix. DMs who hate them for having slightly better DPS will add the exploding thing which sucks but I get around it by making that less likely also the class works pretty well as pure DPS and it existed before a good ranged fighter subclass (not that there really is one). I think guns shouldn't have misfire at all but that's just me.
>>
>>55163728
There's mob rules in the DMG
>>
>>55161398
But if she lives forever she'll fuck other men after he dies, and he'll be cucked postmortem.
>>
>>55164105
To be fair, early firearms become a different discussion because you're talking about massed ranks. If you have a weapon that fails 5% of the time, but its effective enough when shot, it might absolutely be worth fielding it anyways. If you have 100 dudes firing away, and only 5 of them cannot, but the 95 remaining can do heavy damage, it doesn't really matter that some failed.

But when talking small scale engagement? Absolutely not.
>>
>>55164027
>silent assassination with something that is not easily detected (if the blowdart is removed)
>like in real life, used to deliver sedatives at range to targets that shall not be harmed, but need to be caught, such as wild animals some rich fuck wants for his private zoo, or a target that needs to be questioned / held hostage for ransom / political pressure
The blowgun isn't really a combat weapon, but there are various scenarios I can imagine it being very useful in.
>>
>>55164027
You can Sneak Attack with it, and that's before poison. It's really meant for Assassin characters and NPCs.
>>
>want to introduce party to bad guys main henchman who has been sending thugs after them for some time
>don't want party to be able to attack him
>decided I want it to happen at a lords fancy ball, with dancing and music and feasting
How do I ensure my party don't just go 'fuck it' and attack the dude?

I feel like a shitload of guards surrounding the hall could work, but it's a bit obvious. Should I just trust them to do the smart thing?
>>
>>55165458
See >>55164102
>>
>>55159561
What app is that ??
>>
>>55160297
>DON'T TALK SHIT ABOUT MY FAVOURITE CLASS, REEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
File: 1.jpg (27KB, 342x152px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
27KB, 342x152px
>>55160926
From Dragon issue 365. Technically not FR, but very little of the physiology of the dragonborn was changed between 4e and 5e.
>>
>>55165779
Why are you so desperate to anonymously embarrass yourself
Thread posts: 414
Thread images: 63

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.