[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 336
Thread images: 42

File: 10.-Les-Découvreurs-dantiques.jpg (790KB, 2953x3600px) Image search: [Google]
10.-Les-Découvreurs-dantiques.jpg
790KB, 2953x3600px
D&D 5th Ed. General Discussion

>Unearthed Arcana: Three-Pillar Experience
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-ThreePillarXP.pdf

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Alternate Trove:
https://dnd.rem.uz/5e%20D%26D%20Books/

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread:
>>55138222
>>
New player here. How can I make better characters?
>>
>>55145627
Interesting characters are all about internal conflict, flaws, and quirks. Think about the different combinations you can form out of personality traits and the potential history of your character. As a starting point, I like to pair a race and class that seem mismatched (eg. Gnome paladin, Drow cleric). Come up with a story on why a member of that race would pursue such an unusual path, and top it off with personality quirks that make sense.
>>
Anyone got the 5e guide to sex?
>>
>>55145627
What >>55145844 said is a good starting point. Picking a class and race is often a good basis, since you can choose to play to the stereotype or go off the rails with it and make something crazy.

My last Bard character was basically Alex Louis Armstrong from Fullmetal Alchemist, for example.
>>
How is rolling a die and comparing two numbers in any way a good system?
>>
>>55145951
It's fun
>>
Guys, how would you fix Elemental Monks in the simplest way possible?
>>
File: 1500602562112.png (21KB, 657x527px) Image search: [Google]
1500602562112.png
21KB, 657x527px
>>55145951
uhm... yu get to have big numbors and somtime you rol high numbosr
>>
>>55146004
Give them more ki points or let them use their inferior spells for free/more.
>>
>>55145627
I find it's best to come up the idea of the person first and then come up with class/race/archtype things.

For example, one character I often make, and yes I know the character is shite because I first rolled him when I was 13.

Bert Burrodon, a brawny heavyset human who is a bit soft hearted and dopey at times. He spent a good deal of his life as the city executioner, while at first he felt very conflicted with his duty but soon enough came to terms that he was doing the right thing and providing a service, so wore the classic black cowl with pride and kept his headsman axe sharp and ready. While his identity was supposed to remain unknown, the purpose of the mask after all, everyone knew who he was and he was well liked and respected in the small city. Then a new baron passed laws against execution and almost as if overnight his respected profession was now reviled and barbaric and he soon found himself a jobless pariah with no real skill or talents to land him a real job.

Eventually he gathered his meagre savings and decided that well he at least has his own axe and the shirt on his back and that is really all he needs to be one of those heroic adventurerers. He still keeps the hood with him and wears it at times for good luck.

Then I decide, okay is he a Barbarian? Does he use his endurance and brawn to just bully through combats? Or does his care and ritual maintanence reflect to a more refined combat style of a Fighter? Or even perhaps a Paladin just looking to spread some good times with cheerful friends while setting up for the key strikes to end fights in one well placed smiting blow.
>>
>>55146004
Reduce all Ki-costs by 1, including some abilities becoming free to cast.
>>
>>55146047
>>55145924
>>55145844
You guys seem smart, how do I make a fighter human interesting
>>
>>55146031
>Posting the racist nazi frog

how dare you!

How do you guys deal with racism/prejudice in your games?
>>
>>55146090
What are his traits besides fighter and human?
>>
>>55145951
How do.. Other systems do it? Like what other systems are there?

Compare inherent stat number to difficulty class number. No rolling, just set skills to make use of.
Compare rolled stat number to difficult class number. Your typical RPG stuff.

Say cool thing, GM says "That's cool, it happens!". Freeform Wankery.

What other systems could there be that are inherently "Good." enough to call a modified dice roll for RNG elements an inherently "Bad." system?
>>
File: 1503954601413.jpg (85KB, 520x678px) Image search: [Google]
1503954601413.jpg
85KB, 520x678px
>>55146106
oh right, I had this idea when reading about some christian monks,,,
he's from an order or band I guess since they're not magical paladins, where the way they swear themselves to someone is by giving their weapons and armor to that person, and basically loan it back until they die in service

I probably should have though of this more than once like 4 weeks ago
>>
>>55146090
1. Retired pirate (treasure hunter style). Got wealthy from a good haul, settled down, realized being a pirate was bad, repents by giving his fortune away to some people and starts fresh

2. The Soldier from TF2. Literally mentally ill. Thinks they are a soldier or knight for an army (made up or not). Practiced with weaponry and what not. Family couldn't contain them because freedom isn't something you can easily take from a God damn American

There are many ways. Remember that 'fighter' is just a vague term same as Wizard. It's better to think of a cool character idea THEN fit a class to it as opposed to picking a class then trying to weave a narrative around it. You may find a barbarian or even a weapon-wielding monk is better suited for your own personal character than the idea of a fighter.
>>
>>55146159
That sounds like it would be way cooler as a Paladin, unless you want to work in one of the fighter subclasses like Eldritch Knight into it. Say, he swears himself to an ancient wizard, the wizard teaches him some magic.
>>
>>55146199
that makes sense... but I like the "just a human" trope too much
like not all of the realms knights need to be paladins right?
>>
>>55146235
Sort of? I don't generally see many reasons to play fighter instead of Paladin.
>>
>>55146263
idk I would just prefer pulling out a crossbow in a pinch right? or cut a rope bridge or kick a ladder, over magic..
Not that you can't do those as a magical martial...
this is why I'm bad at this game and never made it past 5th level
>>
Under what circumstances would a character be in moderate control of their lycanthropy, specifically at low levels? I'm planning on making a halfling wererat with the sage background and not only has my DM not gotten back to me whether he's counting lycnathropy as a race or class, but also that he wants me to have a reason for my character to have that much control over the curse at such a low level.
>>
>>55146090
Hektor Raulin, Human Fighter who uses Longbow but isn't afraid to draw Rapier and Shield.
a Town-Guardsman who owed a favor to a roaming hero who helped save his village. He is a humble man from humble beginnings but agreed to come lend his bow to the cause when the called for aid. He eventually got strung along in the adventure and is clearly out of his depth in most matters, but one thing is for sure; He went home with two things, the skills to make him a crack-shot archer and lawman the likes his home-town has never seen before, and an intense hatred of roaming vagabond murderhobo "Heros" like the ones he travelled with.

Yotsuki Ishiin, Human Fighter in a Not-Japan setting who uses lots of crossbow tricks and nets to take down her foes.
Trained from a young age as a servant girl for the nobility of her house, the Clan-Head took special attention to her and had her trained in arts of infiltration and killing, using the unsuspecting servant-girl as a political assassin to take out rivals, deliver threats, or even cull unsavoury members of their own household. Eventually it was discovered that the Clan-Head had plots against the Emperor and the royal gaurd sacked the estate and put an end to the treason, the girl however ended up missing. With very few skills other than inherent grace and a talent for contract killing, she became an infamous bounty-hunter known only by the crimson oni-mask she wears looking to carve her own name into legend as her household name fell into disgrace.

Sir Donnibard, the Wizard. A human fighter who flunked out of Wizard-school. He isn't even an Eldrich Knight, he just wears the pointy hat and stole a wand from some mage. Donnibard is an idiot.

Ser Branford Farseek, famous explorer and cartographer who is an actual Eldrich Knight, exploring the far-coasts of the world with his beloved familiar Owl, holding monsters back with his mighty pike and weaving rituals to protect and support his exploration and encampments.
>>
>>55146303
Nah it sounds like you've had bad DMs to deal with, a shitty DM will never allow martial characters to do cool shit in combat or improvise.
>>
>>55142871
Jesus is my town the only town with good AL players, am ai just bad at assesing people, It just feels like every decent game of D&D that I've played
>>
repost from last thread

>dm, out loud: you find a trapdoor and you notice the tripwire attached to it
>player: can I choose not to tell everyone else about the trap

classic "lawful" evil amirite

kill me
>>
>>55146093

As GM, I use it liberally as an aspect of society. Sexism too. Every group of people has at least some "us versus them" mentality going on. Most NPCs are racist and sexist, but the nature and severity of it varies a lot.

I try my best not to push a political leaning about it. It's just the way people are. One thing I do try to do is that whenever an NPC gets some screen time, I work up a few key events that shaped their place in society and beliefs. Even the town drunk got there somehow, even if he deserved it. A little depth and variety pushes past the notion that some sort of viewpoint is being pushed.
>>
Hello /tggegeg/. I saw you were talking about fighters, so I decided to be a selfish asshole and plug my shit in.

Not really, I literally just came on TG today to get help with fighter characters. Odd coincidence.

I am trying to make a serious, legit, not a joke character named Bradley. He's a fighter (No, not a monk, fighter. He will not be a monk. He cannot be a monk. My DM's custom combat makes monks useless. It was specifically MADE to make monks useless, I believe.)

He's going to be my first serious character in many years, so I really, really need help with writing his fluff. Usually when I write fluff, half of it will be about how Disco can exist in a fantasy setting, a quarter of it will be about the character's obsessive love for harpy ass, and the last quarter will be actual background.

THIS character, however, is 0 memery, or at the very most, .32 memery.

I've gotten some things down already- For example, he's from a butcher family, really only cares about fighting and not at all his family craft, and wants to become a 'brawler' (basically a boxer, but he's a 'serious, legit character', so i can't use that term). I'm planning to already have written him as a man who has won a few underground fighting tourneys in his day.

I'll post what I currently have of a background at the end of this thread riiight below. It got slimmed down a whole fucking lot. You don't want to see what Brad Yader 0.11 was.

https://pastebin.com/ZRYSD0dW

But, basically, I have a lot of things worked out EXCEPT for his main adventuring motivation. The only thing I have worked out is that Bradley Yader needs to gain seven hundred seventy seven thousand, seven hundred seventy seven belts. But, why? I am so conflicted as to what reason to give this glorious, 20 strength man in regards to his belt-collection.

So, it all really comes down to this:

/tg/, why is fighter boxer man trying to collect 777,777 belts in 5e? asking for self
>>
>>55147086
kill them, they're that guy
>>
>>55147382
update: "I take the keys from the ring via mage hand and ask the starving prisoner what's in it for me for saving him"
>>
I always pit a fair number of female NPC opponents against my characters so that I can wank to their deaths later. My group is also pretty vengeful and like to torture people they've defeated or torment them in other ways before killing them. I've never stroked one out at the table but usually within a few days the fact that my male friends were involved has faded from my mind and I can just imagine it as the characters without them attached. Which is nice cause I don't want to have sexual thoughts attached to my friends. That'd be gay.

A couple sessions ago they tracked down the evil sorceress sister of the warlord they've been fighting. After defeating her and her minions they forced her to watch as they slit her (orc) boyfriend's throat and made her flick her clit to it or else they'd keep him alive and torture him longer. Then they tied her to a tree and took turns carving the names of friendly NPCs she'd killed onto her skin with knives (hilda the breadmaker, bartholomew the innkeeper, etc), then they beat her to death with her own quarterstaff while she was tied to the tree. They the cut the ropes and one of them proceeded to violently fuck the corpse including in some of the holes they had cut. Then they burned her remains, found one of the other orc lieutenants who had passed that 10% chance to stabilize automatically, woke him up and forced him to eat her ashes and part of her arm that hadn't burned, then sent him to go back to the warlord to tell him what they'd done. They do this shit because they are edgelords but they have no idea that I am deriving sexual enjoyment from it. I also just get off on when the women lose fights, like if you've ever been in a real fight and lost , you know the feeling of knowing you're fucked, so when she went below 25% hp and pretty much knew it was over I imagined the fear and terror in her mind and it started to give me a stiffy. It's better than shit like muscle girls or any of the other degenerate shit /tg/ is into.
>>
You guys realize there's already a thread, right?

>>55145241
>>
>>55147483
Honestly, what the fuck? Did this guy draw from a deck of many things when you weren't looking?

Nonetheless, kill him. As soon as possible. 'that guy' will always ruin the fun of a campaign.
>>
>>55146093
I use it to my advantage.

I started a race war of villagers/gang members against the local goblin fort so I could ambush the gang hideout and take all their shit, as well as making sneaking in the fort a lot easier.
>>
File: smug frog with scorpion.jpg (49KB, 499x499px) Image search: [Google]
smug frog with scorpion.jpg
49KB, 499x499px
>>55146093
Pepe is a bullywug and is therefor appropriate content for D&D threads.
>>
Anyone have any ideas for dagger reskins?
I have a pair, and I want one of them to be unique from the other.
>>
>>55146004
Lower the ki cost of their spells
>>
>>55147842
A dagger, but it's a really large toenail on a stick
>>
>>55147303
Don't be literal about "belts." It's victories.

His family was mocked/shamed/shunned for always stinking of raw meat, and his parents weren't muscular, they were both scrawny and weak.

He has a chip on his shoulder so big he needs a prosthetic arm, and he's going to prove to the world that the Butchers have strong stock after all.

So he's collecting 777,777 unique victories. A guard from town (a) is one. A brawler in an underground fighting ring is another. An unarmored goblin and a goblin in plate are 2 more. You see where I'm going.

He doesn't care how big or small the victory is, he just wants wins.
>>
File: the CLAWW.jpg (101KB, 900x675px) Image search: [Google]
the CLAWW.jpg
101KB, 900x675px
>>55147842
>>
>>55147962
Shit that's perfect for the character.
Any idea what they're called aside from "claw?"
>>
>>55148061
Just "claw gauntlets" as far as I know.
>>
>>55148073
Alright, thanks anon.
I'm also keeping >>55147869 in my back pocket, cause I can see potential here
>>
>>55148089
Glad I could help you out, anon.
>>
Do magic items that cast spells use your concentration?
A player was given a ring of water walking and a fog cloak (1/day). Does the fog cloud cast that way, use your concentration?
>>
>>55148764
Only if the item casts the spell, not just gives the effect, if that makes sense.
>>
What is the best multiclass for a Valor bard?
>>
File: Warwing_drake.jpg (14KB, 231x350px) Image search: [Google]
Warwing_drake.jpg
14KB, 231x350px
hi all,

question. 4th edition Dungeon Magazine #165

There was a sweet ritual to bind a warwing Drake to your will, How to best translate it to 5th? im very fresh in terms of DnD in general, and honestly i dont know the system that well.
This is the ritual from 4th ed, what do i need to change for it to fit 5th?

"Mindshape Warwing Drake is a 5th-level ritual.

To perform this ritual, you require a single warwing drake bound inside a magic circle drawn to bind a natural creature. When you successfully perform this ritual, the warwing drake is tamed as determined by your Arcana or Nature check result.
Arcana or Nature Check
Result Effect on Warwing Drake

7 or lower - 4 Int; attacks all other creatures.
8–13 - 2 Int; still wild.
14-19 - 1 Int; tame and trained.
20–25 Tame and trained.
26 or higher Tame and trained; can speak

A tame and trained warwing drake is ready to accept a rider and riding gear, and it understands commands. It is loyal to the ritual caster or someone the ritual caster designates. Such a drake can be trained to accept other potential riders and masters. If the ritual grants the drake the ability to speak, the drake speaks in a broken form of a language the ritual caster selects. If use of this ritual reduces a warwing drake to 0 Intelligence, the drake dies

Time: 1 hour
Duration: Permanent
Component Cost: 100 gp
Market Price: 250 gp
Key Skill: Arcana or Nature
>>
>>55149300

stats for the drake itself.

WARWING DRAKE
A LETHAL REPTILE IN THE AIR,
warwing drakes can hit multiple targets before flying away. They balance mass and strength with intellect and mobility, creat-ing an even-tempered flying mount. Most warwing
drakes cannot speak, but they understand spoken
Draconic.
Warwing Drake
Level 4 Skirmisher
Large natural beast (mount, reptile)
XP 175
Initiative +6
Senses
Perception +10
HP 56;
Bloodied 28
AC 18;
Fortitude 17,
Reflex 15,
Will 16
Immune
fear (while flying)
Speed
8, fly 8, overland flight 12;
Bite
(standard; at-will)
+9 vs. AC; 1d10 + 4 damage.

Claw
(standard; at-will)
+8 vs. AC; 1d6 + 4 damage

Flyby Attack
(standard; at-will)
The warwing drake flies up to 8 squares and makes two
claw attacks at any point during that movement. The drake
doesn’t provoke opportunity attacks when moving away
from a target of either attack.
Fearless Flight
(while flying and mounted by a friendly rider of
4th level or higher; no action)
Mount
Attackers can’t target the warwing drake’s rider when the drake’s movement provokes opportunity attacks.
Alignment
Unaligned
Languages

Skills
Athletics +11
Str 18 (+6)
Dex 15 (+4)
Wis 16 (+5)
Con 16 (+5)
Int 6 (+0)
Cha 10 (+2)
>>
>>55147842
A fork and knife
>>
Recently started Dming for a small group of friends (3-4), and one of them is ironically playing an edge lord who thinks he can treat npc like trash and take/destroy their property. The other two have clued in to this being a bad idea, any ideas how to punish him, they're level 3 btw.
>>
>>55149565
crack down the law, make that fucker have to go to court.
You can make a fun mini adventure out of it, let the other players be his lawyers
>>
File: file.png (131KB, 280x280px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
131KB, 280x280px
>players hear there are hobgoblin henchmen to a crime lord in the area
>"lmao what a fucking cakewalk, they're just hobgoblins"
>throw a Devastator in there for fun
>they cant handle the heat nor have the ability to get out of the kitchen

don't fuck with hobgoblins just because goblin is in the name, kids
>>
>>55149576
That sounds incredible, if he continues it once we hit the town I'll give it a shot, I tried to punish him by baiting him with a disguised greenhag who he insulted but that ended in him rolling incredibly well and dealing 43 points of damage using quicken spell and winning the fight, even after one other member litereally walked away from the fight to try make a point.

While I'm at it I want to set a point early in their dnd experience that you can't take on every enemy you see, I was thinking have a town on high alert about a hydra causing havoc and for them to find the corpses of an elite task force hired to try deal with it, would this be a good way to have hint to them about?
>>
Any encounter tables I should look at for a desert campaign?
>>
>>55147303

>made to make monks useless

what custom rule is he using?
>>
File: LycanthropeHomebrew.pdf (8MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
LycanthropeHomebrew.pdf
8MB, 1x1px
How shitty is this homebrew that I wrote?
I'm a cruddy writer so the flavor text is ass. I would like to thing it's decently balanced though. Rage gives it some longevity and a slight boost to damage. It's at-will damage is a bit higher than rogue if my math is correct. 3 skills + expertise lets it not be completely useless out of combat. Shapeshifting gives utility depending on which beast you pick giving the class a lot potential and a unique feeling with each beast you choose.
>>
>>55146093
I'm liberal as fuck and I'm willing to have NPCs or entire groups be racist, but I do try to make sure I'm not making them into caricatures.
>>
I really am hoping to find the PDF's for:

http://www.dmsguild.com/product/219716/Encounters-in-the-Savage-Cities?sb=1

http://www.dmsguild.com/product/215866/Tome-of-Adventures

It is sadly not in the trove, is anyone able to upload it please?
>>
anyone know of any character sheet generators besides orcpub2? that is being taken down soon.
>>
Hopefully this isn't thread-breaking... I want to add some firearms to me 5e games, as I have plans for some dieselpunk/weird western settings. Is there anything mechanically stopping me from using the various gun stats in PF and converting over? I'm mostly thinking of the WW1 firearms from the Winter Witch AP.
>>
>>55150444
Most balanced version: reskin crossbows.

Slightly more questionable: allow Renaissance firearms from the DMG.

Oh shit what are you doing: allow modern firearms from the DMG.

Smug anime girl alongside condescending post: converting mechanics from Pathfinder to 5e.

Vomiting and then shitting your pants to death: using homebrew from dandwiki.
>>
>>55146004
give either immortal or wu jen mystics martial arts instead of their actual features
>>
>>55145627
You need to make a 1) real character who 2) is fun to play.
>>
File: 1501864595641.jpg (9KB, 261x148px) Image search: [Google]
1501864595641.jpg
9KB, 261x148px
Popped my dragon cherry guys.
>>
>>55149641
>Oh yeah this is a hobgoblin alright
>A hobgoblin using the Gladiator stat block
>>
>>55146991
Most of my AL experience is fine as well. Sometimes the DM is new and not very good but I guess they just have a lot to learn.
>>
>>55145239
>>55140444
anyone know how to access whatever he posted? I'm so confused
>>
>>55151038
https://snipli.com/WOTCTrove

Mageguru is a tripfiend from 3+4chan where they are fucking terrified of being found out by the evil corporate overlords.
>>
>>55151065
oh i was putting the dot in the wrong place. Cheers!
>>
How do I even put in 6 encounters per day?

Do they expect a single day to last an entire session or some shit?
>>
File: 1495316422462.png (105KB, 277x311px) Image search: [Google]
1495316422462.png
105KB, 277x311px
>>55151369
You go through multiple adventuring days in a single session? My group is the exact opposite, with most days taking 2 or 3 sessions. We cram a lot into a day I guess.

Any reason why you can't just have a smaller number of more difficult fights?
>>
fuck, i need some forest encounters. i just remembered the party is heading out of the city not towards a cave system and i didnt entirely flesh out that area

i got a thri-kreen run in but thats about it
>>
Hey, I've got my first every DND game on Saturday, a level 1 starter campaign. Any tips for my first character? Everyone playing is new bar the DM.
>>
>>55146110
Maybe FFG star wars?
>>
>>55150374
MPMB automated sheet. It's pay what you want at DM's guild.
>>
>>55152484
Don't go full loner edge lord.
>>
>>55145239

I really want to be a vengeance paladin but I don't want to be neutral or evil, but it just seems the whole "no mercy to sworn enemies" thing along with 'qualms can't get in the way of defeating my enemy' thing means it's going to be hard to stay in character. Should I just give up on my juicy build and go with Oath of Devotion/something easier to be "good" with or is it possible to play a lawful good Vengeance Paladin without breaking the oaths?
>>
>>55152562
Players kill people cold-blooded all the time while claiming to be good. Just don't be an edgelord about it and it'll pass unnoticed.
>>
>>55152577

>it'll pass unnoticed

I was less concerned about sneaking contradictions by the people I'm specifically playing with and more concerned with being consistent to satisfy my autism
>>
>>55152536

I wouldn't, I want to play a barbarian style fighter sent away on a pilgrimage from his tribe to bring back offerings to the barbarian kings to earn his place as a tribe leader. Pretty generic but I was thinking of having him as gullible (their tribe always tell the truth) and not very knowledgable of the outside world, so having no idea what is actually valuable, working on the rule of cool. So he's going to be keeping skulls of weird creatures, ornate goblets and furs of big beasts.

The other character I wanted to play was another fighter who is secretly trying to achieve immortality/godhood and is very accommodating of his allies goals. In my head I had him working along side them whilst secretly laying down the ground work for a final coup where he sacrifices his sanity to become a sort of whirling dervish or berserked djinn. No idea if any of that is possible.
>>
Thinking of making a rogue/ ranger mc. Am i fucked if I dump str and Cha? So far I'm a v human with 8, 16, 14, 12, 16, 8. Also I took resilient con which brought me to 14. I'm thinking of using a single sword and dueling to keep a hand free for use with Fast Hands (caltrops, acid etc)
>>
Is Barbarian with Ritual Caster feat a good idea? Trying to go for the tribal shaman feeling. Ritual spell are for out-of-combat anyway, so it won't clash with rage.
>>
>>55152791
Just use a finesse weapon
>>
>>55152913
That's the plan m8. I'm just wondering if I'll need strength for anything? (Hooking/climbing a grappling hook or scaling trees/buildings for vantage points)
>>
>>55153025
Or can I find a way to use acrobatics for those?
>>
>>55145627
Go to Gitp or ENworld and find a guide. Best optimization forums.
>>
How do I make a evil "political schemer" kinda wizard?

Something a bit like Edwin from BG2 or a magic using littlefinger from GoT
>>
>>55153025
>>55153036
You can take expertise on Athletics, enjoy being better than the barb at Strength(Athletics) checks.
>>
>>55153060
An asshole orange man with tiny hands who uses exclusively wall spells
>>
>>55153060
Might consider a couple levels of Bard or Rogue, and put the Expertise levels in deception and persuasion. The Rogue Mastermind archetype from the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide might also be of interest.
>>
>>55152562
No mercy and no qualms is lawful.
>>
>>55153080
>End up with an 11 even with a -1 modifier.
Kek. Expertise is wild
I dunno though, so far I've taken expertise in thieves tools and perception, I was thinking stealth and investigation or acrobatics for the other two, but I'm already gonna have decent rolls for them.
>>
>>55153105
Short breakdown of both options:

Dipping into Rogue pays off instantly as his first 2 Expertises are handed out at Lv1, and you get a skill proficiency you can use on a social skill. If you choose Mastermind at Rogue Lv3 you gat a couple neat tool proficiencies (disguise and forgery, both very Littlefinger-ish) and the a Feat that allows you to use Aid at 30 ft range as a bonus action, which I also think is rather fitting.

If you choose Bard, the real payoff only occurs at Lv3 - but assuming you choose the Lore colllege it helps a lot: You get 3 skill proficiencies of your choice, 2 Expertises of your choice, and the ability to use Bardic Inspiration to aid allies and sabotage enemies (add or subtract a D6 to/from their rolls, after they made it).
>>
>antimagic cone eye
>mirage arcane eye
>power word stun eye

what other alternatives have you seen or used for a beholder?
>>
>>55153187
PS: Another attractive thing about picking Bard, if you want to play a Caster, is that Bards are full Casters and give you the highest amount of available spell slots when multiclassing. While Rogue will impair your Caster progression, it pays off by adding a lot of flexibility (by allowing you to use a ton of stuff as a Bonus action).
>>
Why does swashbuckler completely obsolete almost all other kinds of rogue? One of its core abilities is "nah you can just kind of sneak attack whenever and also opportunity attacks don't exist for you lmao" while everyone else gets DM-may-I garbage or at best a few spells. Arcane Trickster comes close but barely.
>>
>>55153239
>DM-may-I-garbage
Ehh, that's exactly what I like though. To me Swashbuckler is the boring archetype.
>>
>>55147602
he's been sarcastic
>>
>>55153302
FRogposters are no joke anon
>>
I don't know what I want to do for my next session right now and I'm running out of time, I only have a few days to plan so I was hoping if someone could help me brainstorm a bit by throwing me some ideas. Right now I have the idea of having a shape shifter or doppelganger on board the ship that they used to escape a village being blown up. I kind of want to have said shape shifter kill one of the NPCs and kidnap another NPC to get them to come together tighter, but, I don't know what to do after he escapes. I was toying up with the idea that he'd blow up the boat and they'd have to traverse the forest/road to the next town, but, I'm not really sure if that's what I want to do or if I should do something different. Any ideas would help on the matter, regarding either what's happening on the boat or what happens either.
>>
What are some fun/creative uses for Fast Hands as a thief? How useful is the bonus actions thieves tools and SoH?
>>
Also yeah I'm gonna go Rogue/Mastermind and Bard/Lore and I'm expecting to be the ultimate skill monkey and support class when I hit 3/3 - but it's also really helpful because being the boss at social stuff is really expensive in terms of skill proficiencies or even Expertises - it arguably need 5 (Deception, Insight, Intimidation, Performance and Persuasion).

And as I said before you end up being able to Aid at range as a Bonus Action (absolutely love that ability), and use Bardic Inspiration to fiddle with every roll anyone ever makes. I'm pretty confident that the character will get to the point that no matter who does anything at the table, there's gonna be a slight glance at me, and then I nod, and then the result is accepted.
>>
>>55149659
Disguised Ancient Dragons who will make the group their playthings after they crushed them.
>>
File: Judeau_with_knife.jpg (91KB, 500x632px) Image search: [Google]
Judeau_with_knife.jpg
91KB, 500x632px
>>55146524
low quality bait
>>55146090
What counts as interesting? Got examples of interesting characters?
>>
>>55146063
Which "some"?
>>
>>55153239
You can't sneak attack when 2 enemies stand next to each other but no ally is next to your target. Also you can't combine this with reach or range weapons. Unless you go BB via a feat or high elf rogue is best with range weapons anyway.

Swashbuckler is really good, but it can't even remotely compete to what Battlemaster is to fighter or Totem Warrior to babarian.
>>
>>55153392
The one I hear most about is taking the Healer feat and using a healer's kit with Fast Hands.
>>
>>55153060
Easy, you roll up any wizard and then play him that way. Don't use a build as a replacement for a personality, Anon.
>>
>>55152813
What rituals could possibly be worth losing a feat or 2 points of strength?

I think maybe what you actually want is a druid.
>>
>>55146093
Some groups and places are while others aren't, neither side are caricatures but I try to have my worlds somewhat reflect the real one to make it more believable.
>>
>>55153392
DESU Fast Hands always struck me as one of the lamest Feats in the book - mostly because if you already got all the standard actions as a potential bonus action on Lv2, so the only advantage you get out of the use of Thieves Tools or Sleight of Hand as a bonus action that I can see is if you want to do them twice in one round.
>>
>>55152337
>spiders
>we don't like spiders
>>
What does tg think of having Baba Lysaga fly around in Argynvost's giant skull?

It might make lighting the beacon more easily, but isn't having two major plot points in the same spot, (it and a winery gem) a bit of overstuffed writing?
>>
>>55153559
Find familiar is pretty good desu
>>
File: 1494619047094.jpg (254KB, 753x1057px) Image search: [Google]
1494619047094.jpg
254KB, 753x1057px
>>55150942
>>55149641
>This is totally fair to throw against the players
>>
Opinions on middle finger of vecna?
>>
>Playing SKT as a monk
>the green dragon comes in for his first attack
>lands on the back of the airship and uses his breath weapon
>fail save
>literally 11 health left
>I ain't no pussy
>my turn
>run up to dragon fucker and flurry on his scaley ass
>first 2 rolls, 2 misses
>next 2 rolls, 1 miss 1 hit
>entire party might die if I fuck this up
>I expend 1 ki point to use stunning strike
>It fails
>martials go in and fuck it up before it comes back to me
I feel like I did the one useful thing a monk can do
>
>>
>>55145239
I haven't played a magic-less class in quite some time... that being said I haven't played at all in a year or so, but here's my question:
Can barbarians use magic items (like wands) and scrolls? Let's presume Int is not their dump stat.
>>
>>55153834
Comic relief?
>>
>>55153866
Depends, some require attunement by specific classes, very few don't
>>
>>55152337
They can stumble across a dryad in need of help, maybe some pixies and sprites.
>>
>>55153892
Well he does have the entertainer background so I am constantly cracking shitty jokes
>>
Hey /tg/. Gonna run a game pretty soon with a group of friends. I'd love your take on a few things.

1. What is your opinion on character creation using rolls or point buy for attributes?

2. Variant human or normal human?

3. Favorite house rules?

4. Favorite hooks?
>>
>>55152562
You could just swear an oath against something unambiguously evil that necessitates destruction, like fiends or something.

Alternatively, you can do what my paladin is doing. His sworn enemy is cultists, and I want his character arc to involve eventually realizing that cultists aren't exclusively subhumans unworthy of a chance at redemption that all decided to worship dead gods because they are terrible people.

A third option is to just ignore the fluff of the class, it doesn't actually matter as long as your group is having fun.
>>
>>55146004
One of two ways:
Let them use any known Elemental Discipline for free once per short or long rest. If it's a spell it's at its base level, but you can still amp it up with your ki.
or
Give them some extra points of ki through a subclass feature. 1 point at level 3, 2 at 6, 3 at 11, and 5 extra ki points at 17.
>>
>>55146004
Make them Wu Jen instead
>>
>>55153897
Hm, scrolls of protection are the only 'free' ones, otherwise you need to be of the correct class.
Wands require attunement by a spellcaster.
This is very unfortunate, because I'd like to play a martial capable 'shaman' type character. Storm Herald Barbarian seems to fit it very well, but can't use anything but brawn outside of his rage bonus. If homebrewing/snowflaking wasn't so ill received, I'd like to reflavour Paladins. Cleric would technically work, but aren't as melee capable as I'd like them to be (prior to divine strike).
>>
>>55153931
Point buy over rolls any day, reason is if someone's luck is shit they can be completely useless.

Either, then again my players don't try and min/max and abuse the system

If someone wants to make a caster focused on one type of spell that isn't well represented I'll refluff spells to their damage type of choosing but that's set until they a) level up or b) "re-learn" it through a scroll or working with another caster for a day or two.

Grand heroics because I'm a sucker like that, haven't had any complaints so far.
>>
>>55153974
I thought the wand of magic detection was class free, must have been wrong
>>
>>55153931

1: I prefer point buy.

2: Normal human. I'm not a fan of feats, except as "Loot" (You saved the monastery! The masters agree to teach you their secret technique!)

3: Poker chips for spell levels. Doesn't change the game much, but fun to toss across the table, and easy for the GM to gauge how hard he's working the party.

4: Treasure race! Example: a wizard's research has located an artifact in some ruins. Now multiple parties are after it! That way you can have traps, ancient guardians, AND a group of recurring intelligent antagonists.
>>
File: 1988-Macho-Man-Randy-Savage.jpg (115KB, 867x920px) Image search: [Google]
1988-Macho-Man-Randy-Savage.jpg
115KB, 867x920px
>>55147303
Because his arch nemesis and childhood rival the self titled Captain Savage, a professional barbarian wrestler, has already collected 777,776 belts/wins.
>>
>>55153931
1. I don't recommend rolling for characters unless you're doing it in order because it just makes the player with mediocre rolls feel like shit.

2. Variant human is too good, standard human is too shit. That being said, include Variant in your game. It's no big deal.

3. I'm not sure, I usually just make up as I go along.

4. Monsters stole from the players, now they're pissed and want to get it back.
>>
>>55154003
You're correct, the 'minor' wands are class free (but some require attunement regardless), such as magic missiles, magic detection, web, viscuous globs.
>>
>>55153239
Arcane Trickster has the better out of combat utility, and even then it is better because it can abuse Find Familair, attack cantrips, and other low level spells while still being able to attack from ranged. The Swashbuckler's class features are melee locked, which makes them worse as a rogue in general.
>>
I'm having an issue with a former player of mine. He was playing a Drow in our first campaign and kept insisting that his character is 8000 years old. I, and the other players in my group, have pointed out that Elves in the Forgotten Realms very rarely live beyond the age of 1000. His arguments were "It's my character, I can make him as old as I want." and "It's the default setting, we can make up whatever we want about the races and I say Elves can live to be whatever age I want."

After fighting with him for several sessions, I decided to bring in my homebrewed gothic horror setting, utilizing some stuff from Curse of Strahd, Plane Shift: Innistrad and the DMs Guild. I figured if he was going to muck up Forgotten Realms, let's give him a setting I made myself. I handed everyone a lore book so they would all be on the same page.

The campaign only allows the human options from Plane Shift: Innistrad, since beings such as Gnomes, Halflings, Dwarves and Elves long died out or simply vanished on the plane of Gaia. What does the player do? He makes a Stensia Human Sorcerer with the Vampiric Bloodline option from Dark Arts Player's Companion and claims to be nearly 10,000 years old because of the Vampiric Bloodline. I point out that no where in the Vampiric Bloodline does it say his life is extended. He gets pissed at me, says I'm a controlling DM who wont let anyone do what they want. The other players defend me, so he stands up, packs up his things and walks out.

We're about three sessions/weeks without this guy and I just found out he is trying to force his girlfriend to quit our group and join this new group he found. On top of that, I noticed I haven't been able to get new players for my campaigns because he's been spreading rumors about me at our FLGS. His girlfriend is probably one more session away from giving in and quitting our group, bringing my party down to 2 players and I can't get anyone to fill in the empty chairs.
>>
>>55154041
Jesus. My condolences, friend.
>>
>>55153725
Jesus fuck which book has those
>>
>I KNOW the unearthed arcana will be underwhelming garbage
>Still waiting for it, because conditioning
I want to get off Mearl's wild ride
>>
Ritual Caster is not a bad Feat, since you can copy ritual spells of your chosen class when you find them.

Quick rundown of who potentially gets what. Sorcerer and Warlock are obviously non-picks.

BARD
LV1:Comprehend Languages,Detect Magic,Identify,Illusory Script,Speak with Animals,Unseen Servant
LV2:Animal Messenger,Magic Mouth,Silence
LV3:Leomund's Tiny Hut

CLERIC
LV1:Detect Magic,Detect Poison and Disease,Purify Food and Drink
LV2:Augury,Gentle Repose,Silence
LV3:Feign Death,Meld into Stone,Water Walk
LV4:Divination
LV5:Commune
LV6:Forbiddance

DRUID
LV1:Detect Magic,Detect Poison and Disease,Purify Food and Drink,Speak with Animals
LV2:Animal Messenger,Beast Sense,Locate Animals or Plants
LV3:Feign Death,Meld into Stone,Water Breathing,Water Walk
LV5:Commune with Nature

SORCERER
LV1:Detect Magic
LV3:Water Breathing,Water Walk

WARLOCK
LV1:Illusory Script,Unseeen Servant
LV5:Contact Other Plane

WIZARD
LV1:Alarm,Comprehend Languages,Detect Magic,Find Familiar,Identify,Illusory Script,Tensers Floating Disc,Unseeen Servant
LV2:Gentle Repose,Magic Mouth
LV3:Feign Death,Leomund's Tiny Hut,Phantom Steed,Water Breathing
LV5:Contact Other Plane,Rarys Telepathic Bond
LV6:Drawmij's Instant Summons
>>
>>55154100
Volo's
>>
>>55154128
Well thank you kindly friend, was wondering on how to spice up an island full of goblinoids, and now my eyes are open.
>>
>>55154041
Confront him about it or just try and join a game for a while until his hate boner dies die. His GF could also speak in defense of you if you ask her.
>>
>>55154111
Don't forget, you're here forever
>>
>>55153931
1- Point buy or Standard Array
2- Normal Human, if it's your first time playing I recommend not using feats
3- None
>>
>>55154000
>>55154021
>>55154025

These are great ideas and thoughts guys. Thanks. I'm hoping to make the experience a lot of fun! We have a mix of new roleplayers (two first timers) and old roleplayers (one old timer of 10+ years). I can't wait to bust out the chips and dice.

I definitely have a few hooks in mind.

And bear in mind I fully recognize the potential for cliche (all art is, after all, imitation). The setting is Thule (think Conan-meets-Cthulu). I would love some critiques.

1. Session one has the party escaping from a slave ship. They can introduce their characters while they sit locked below deck, soaked in putrid bilge. Think Morrowind.

2. The party stumbles (or are rather stumbled on) a garishly dressed man running from assassins. He hands them a macguffin (an invitation to the palace) and tells them to rendezvous in a day at a location (they've never been to). Turns out the invitation will get them right into the palace and before the queen. She was told that the people bearing the macguffin are spies posing as troubadours and she intends to use the spies to help weed out corruption by a particularly manipulative Vizier.

3. Players are hired to fight off a medusa by a group of armed men. They fight their way into the lair, defeating the various monsters that lurk defending the Medusa's halls. Are given clues that the Medusa has not actually terrorized anyone. In fact, she fell for a local guardsman who would come to visit her and sing for her. They develop a relationship. His fellow guardsmen learn this fact and, thinking the Medusa head would make a promotion-winning prize, use the guardsman as bait to lure out the Gorgon. In the ensuing melee, the lover has been accidentally petrified. The remainder of the men slaughtered. The party find the Medusa, bleeding and dying and have a choice...
>>
>>55152337
There's a Dryad whose tree is dying
They need to collectively sacrifice X hit points in order a blood sacrifice rejuvenate her tree

As thanks she partakes with a magical blessing of an acorn that will sprout into a full tree whenever planted
>>
Steel and Iron are nearly the same for all intents and purposes correct?
Fey are weak to cold iron or should I simplify to silver? Thoughts 5e?
>>
>>55154142
I can easily join another campaign as a player. People have no problems with that. What they're having problems with is me being a DM. As for his gf, she's very timid and shy most of the time. I don't think she has it in her to stand up to him.
>>
>>55149020
I'd go paladin. You share a casting stat and you can use you bard spell slots to smite. Two lvl dip is probably enough, plus lay on hands and a fighting style aren't bad either.
>>
>>55154231
Unfortunately then your best bet is to just lay low and if you hear people talking about it kindly defend yourself. Another way to go about it is try talking to a couple people about joining and explain the situation, that way you know for better or worse which side your FLGS falls on. Believe me it's nice DMing and all but if people are just a bunch of fuck nuts it's not worth the hassle
>>
>>55154238
>Tfw going to play an OoA paladin/lore bard
>Actual story reasons are he's always enjoyed music, stories and the general joy they bring
>Got sidetracked into paladin because a nymph who watched over a forest near his family's lands saved him so he swore an oath to repay that kindness in the best way he knows
Should be fun
>>
>>55154259
Could also add your players could also ask around and defend you as well, might seem odd but its the best you got
>>
Wizards in my campaign setting are unable to remember a spell after they cast it. This requires them to constantly have their head in their spellbook between encounters.
I'm having trouble representing this change mechanically and wanted to know if you guys have any suggestions?
So far I'm thinking that they will have a number of spells they can relearn on short rests based on level. I also want to include a mechanic where they can eventually figure out how to retain a spell permanently, but I'm unsure how I would make that happen either.
>>
>>55154160
Continuing here.

>>55154168 is so good.

What do you guys think about a sort of "temple of time" mechanic where players can fast forward to a set point (say 100 years) and see the world AFTER the terrible shit has happened to it (think old gods style plus convergence of spheres) to collect clues on how to prevent it?

>>55154198
Exactly the same. +1 weapons or Mastercrafted weapons in my setting are steel (usually exclusively dwarven)
>>
>>55154337
Why do you wanna do this?
>>
>>55151369
6 encounters = 6 events
>>
>>55152813
One lvl barbarian, X lvls druid. Wild shaped raging shaman brah.
>>
>>55154337
I mean... mechanically it would require them to read a book if they want to cast the same spell. So you'd probably tack on the extra time.

In a system where casters are just out of control strong that would make sense. In 5e, I can only see this making your caster PCs salty
>>
File: 1466601554716.jpg (912KB, 1813x2111px) Image search: [Google]
1466601554716.jpg
912KB, 1813x2111px
>>55154337
>>
Tell me /tg/, what weird character ideas have you had lately that you've wanted to try out and indulge but have yet to have the chance. Recently I've liked the idea of a Kenku bard who spices up music with ambient noise for added fun. Still debating on weather or not I want him to be a total cover artist or to be able to make his own music via some outside force, or just some sort of internal awakening, granting him some meager vestige of creativity on that front. First option seems more like the actual race, but I'm leaning towards the latter because that feels like it could be a better story.

Also waiting on it just to see if wizards releases something that makes barss less supremely boring.
>>
>>55154350
Wizards have been cursed by the gods for attempting to imprison them and thus have had their ability to remember spells taken away from them.
>>55154380
I guess what I'm asking is how can I accomplish this mechanically without having my players ignore Wizards altogether because of this restriction? What could they gain from being this type of Wizard instead of just going with another type of full-caster?
>>
Best ninja build is Shadow Monk 6 / Rogue X yes?
>>
>>55154493
Iirc I ran rogue 6/shadow monk x for more ki and anti magic capabilities.
>>
>>55154493
It depends on what kind of 'Ninja' you are going for here. If by ninja you mean something more akin to a WoW Rogue where you can go invisible, teleport around, and assassinate from the shadows then yes this is the best build.
If you are looking for something more akin to what Ninja really were, I might suggest Kensai Monk instead.
>>
>>55154480
Then I guess you could do the following:

1. Make the component pouch the standard arcane focus for wizards
2. Wizards don't neet to be holding the component pouch to ignore material components
>why?
3. Wizards do need to hold and read their spellbooks in order to cast spells

Wizards no longer prepare spells: they can't remember them, so they straight up read from the grimoire.
>>
>>55154474
Muscle rogue. Too bad I'm never the player.
>>
I just had someone say pathfinder is "good" and not completely degenerate, give me all the worst mode degenerate things you've heard about shitfinder
>>
For those that have played both, which is a more fun gish, the Stone Sorcerer or Hexblade?
>>
>>55154480
The problem with mechanical subtleties like this is that they require a really decent mastery of the rules.

Wizards are already quite strong. Not quite to grognard-levels you get in 3.5, but certainly way more capable than 4e.

5e did a very admirable job balancing up martial classes, particularly in the earlier levels.

By introducing this mechanic you create two end games:

1) you gimp the shit out of wizards. Your attempt to counter balance this is insufficient and they remain gimped.

2) you initially gimp wizards but overcompensate.

The happy medium I see here is letting the mechanical effects only happen to NPCs. The players are RAW if they choose Wizard making them somewhat of a "chosen one.
>>
>>55154566
Also any feedback on this will be extremely appreciated.
>>
File: Pathfinder sucks 3.jpg (1MB, 1688x2696px) Image search: [Google]
Pathfinder sucks 3.jpg
1MB, 1688x2696px
>>55154585
This right here is pretty degenerate.
>>
>>55153379
>shapeshifter lived in village for a long time undetected, only using it to dip into coffers here and have a little extra luxury there
>thinks their ruse is in danger because of the sudden uprooting from the village
>is freaking the fuck out
>but is still a smart shapeshifter
>play ten little niggers with the whole crew (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/And_Then_There_Were_None), also see http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Whodunit%3F for inspiration
>turn it into a whole murder mystery as the shapeshifter picks off NPCs (use stereotypes like in the novel to make it easy)
>the trick is that it's both none of them and all of them as the shapeshifter just replaces each one after they've been murdered, so the murderer is actually the first person to go missing

fuck, now I might run that in mine
>>
>>55154585
"Pathfinder is more intuitive and easy to learn"

"You can do much more stuff in pathfinder"

The second point is fair in the sense that there is more crunch built within the universe sure. But he was saying there are literal mechanical things Pthfinder can offer than you cannot do in 5e. U asked for an example. Crickets
>>
>>55154566
I'm sure it will be easy enough to explain away the need to hold your spellbook and why you don't need to be holding your components to cast spells with them.
I like these ideas. Any thoughts on how track when they can learn a spell permanently?
>>
File: 1384675262366.gif (25KB, 600x263px) Image search: [Google]
1384675262366.gif
25KB, 600x263px
Do Wizards seem boring to anyone else, compared to the other full casters? They get nothing outside their traditions until level fucking 18, and even then it's just a 1st and 2nd level spell into cantrips, then at 20 they can cast two 3rd level spells once each for free per short rest. It's just so lackluster, like Druids and Clerics get some pretty cool shit outside their archetypes as they level, Sorcerers have metamagic, but Wizards literally just get spells. Yeah, they can learn the most spells total, and have access to a wider variety, but it still just seems like wasted potential.
>>
>>55153379
How big is the ship? Blowing up the boat might be a bit too simple. Why not tampering it in a way that invites any type of aggressive sea creature to attack it or even worse? Make the doppelgänger into some fanatic who does this shit regularly, as a sacrifice to its (sea) god. This includes an escape route for the doppelgänger, an additional faction to fight if the players fail to find any clues and some sort of tampering that could be undone with skills if they can't get through NPCs and their (un)helpfulness.

Even further, find a few people on board who could tell what the doppelgänger is doing from several individual perspectives (a crewmember, a mage, a not!Sherlock) to keep suspense up when the party overlooks your clues. Then soon, one helpful person dies. Make sure to make NPCs on board increasingly helpful but again dead soon after so the party becomes desperate and paranoid.

As a battle plan for you, adapt your strategy according to the players and their actions. If they focus on one part (disarming, questioning NPCs, guarding NPCs), let the doppelgänger succeed a bit in another. If they do something very clever you didn't think ahead about, reward them by letting them get closer to uncovering the doppelgänger.
>>
>>55154735
You mean, when they have it "always prepared"?
I would just make it so they can cast it even when they don't have the spellbook in hand. In other words, hands-free casting.
>>
>>55154759
Their spells can do more.
>>
>>55154616
If Wizards no longer prepare spells though and have access to their entire spell list, why does being unable to cast a spell more than once in an encounter completely gimp the class?
>>
>>55154759
Yeah but it's fine to me, it represents Wizards as a very schooled, narrow-focus approach to what you do, and becoming very good at that one aspect. That's pretty much what I imagine Wizards to be. If you want your character to be different, you can always multiclass.
>>
>>55154759
I think you'll find yourself in a minority. This is WoTC we're talking about, wizards are god-tier and never would be anything else.
>>
>>55154652
>>55154652
> A Murderhobo came in and spam Moonbeam on everything
>>
>>55154788
That is true, I suppose.
>>55154803
Also true.
>>55154810
Looks like you are correct, perhaps I am looking at this the wrong way.
>>
>>55154759
The other casters get cool shit to make up for not having the sheer versatility wizards have. If you get creative you can do a lot with pretty much every spell in the book at your finger tips.
>>
File: wrong.jpg (45KB, 750x591px) Image search: [Google]
wrong.jpg
45KB, 750x591px
>>55154694
>Pathfinder is more intuitive and easy to learn
>>
Teach me about druids /tg)/ are they worth it? How would I go about making a rune priest type character? Fighter/druid?
>>
>>55154759
A bunch of Wizard previous class feature is hidden as spells. Find Familiar is a good example of this.
>>
>>55154907
They are Ghey
>>
>>55154907
Yes.
Just go pure druid with shillelagh.
>>
>>55154918
And it is better now, because you can just take a feat and you can have a familiar buddy of your own
>>
>>55154813
>>55154813
only if they realise it's a shapechanger behind it (or you've got a serious murderhobo problem)
>>
I made an arcane tradition that may or may not be balanced, focused on summoning and controlling demons, fiends, and aberrations. Let me know what you think.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1xGdti6HfKcNVntrLpVJU9vu45Tsvw5mnchzWuOgKIrE/edit?usp=sharing
>>
File: 1498274666462.jpg (10KB, 237x213px) Image search: [Google]
1498274666462.jpg
10KB, 237x213px
>>55145239
>Level 1 character
>Player hands me backstory
>Straight in the trash it goes

What stupid shit do your players do?
>>
What is a trinket in this edition? how can I use them?
>>
>>55155249
It's exactly what it sounds like, just some goofy little object. There's a random table of them in the PHB. Generally you don't use them at all, but maybe some of them could come in handy, like a compass or a bottle of rum.
>>
>>55155224
One of my players wants to play a werewolf, not just have lycanthropy, but actually have werewolf as their race
>>
>>55155282
tell them too fucking bad.
>>
File: 27222-16678-5999.jpg (26KB, 393x462px) Image search: [Google]
27222-16678-5999.jpg
26KB, 393x462px
>>55145895
>>
>>55151850
The smaller, more difficult fights is probably how I'll do it

I don't know, I can't imagine it to be enjoyable to take 3 sessions to go from a city to another city that's maybe a week away.

And from a world's perspective, how the he'll does average commoner go from place to place if they've got to deal with 6 "medium" encounters per day. Imagine if you were a peasant just hauling grain to a city from your home town. It's 4 days away. Suddenly you have to fight off a small army of goblins or kobolds or something just to walk to a city
>>
>>55155310
Thats exactly what I fucking did, her last DM let her and it's annoying
>>
>>55155282
Does your player know that shifters are a thing?
>>
>>55155224
>Adventurers grow from a potted plant meme
>>
>>55155331
>her
I should have fucking guessed.
>>
File: Pepe no Toriyama.jpg (209KB, 743x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Pepe no Toriyama.jpg
209KB, 743x1000px
>>55146093
>baiting this obviously

I'm still gonna give you a Pepe for your efforts.
>>
>>55155342
I honestly have no fucking clue
>>55155344
Yah, no one is ever surprised when its the girl who wants snowflake shit
>>
>>55155343
>not playing a cleric who's a literal baby-man put on earth by his god to do adventure shit
>not playing a druid who was some random jack off who got really high and learned he could talk to animals
>not playing a monk who just got drunk one day and learned to punch good
>>
File: 1504197596602.jpg (32KB, 482x298px) Image search: [Google]
1504197596602.jpg
32KB, 482x298px
>>55155360
I just assumed he was being sarcastic to segway into the other question.
>>
>>55146093
I let it happen, its the middle ages after all
>>
How do I justify playing a Warforged in Faerun other than 'a wizard did it'?
>>
>>55145239
What domain would my cleric be if they were the cleric of a super meta religion that worshipped the rules of the universe the players hand book, wotc, the dm, the dice. etc.
>>
>>55155377
>Says here you were a soldier? Alright that's fine
>Wait it goes further? What do ou mean?
>Oh a list of things you like, people you know, and goals
>Ok that's fine
>Wait is this some details of the war you were in?
>This is starting to reek of backstory, try again. Less details this time
>>
>>55146093
Racism obviously exists which is why the town guards get repeatedly called on my all-kenku party in the rich parts of Waterdeep, even though none of them are crimers
>>
>>55155318
You could have so easily gone along with everyone else and not responded to the bait. That was at the beginning of the thread and was ignored for so long until you decided to drop in and fuck it all up. Your shit reaction pic doesn't make you any less idiotic for feeding the other shithead
>>
>>55155418
How do the kenku get the gaurds to fuck off?
>>
>>55155415
I feel like the 'backstory is bad' meme has less weight in 5e considering there's a section of the PHB entirely dedicated to giving characters a backstory, but the whole 'your character has never done anything interesting until now' conceit has some fun and interesting narrative devices you can use.
>>
>>55155451
They just stand there, innocently, while one of them sneaks off into an alley and mimics the sound of a burglary/kidnapping/rape/murder in progress to draw the guards away.
>>
>>55155401
'Gond did it.'

'A strange portal popped you out.'

'A mad gnome built you in a cave out of scraps. His name is Teddy Strong.'
>>
>>55155407
Arcana
>>
>>55155407
probably knowledge, but you're an unoriginal and unfunny faggot for even suggesting such a thing
>>
File: 19884-13193-30185.jpg (10KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
19884-13193-30185.jpg
10KB, 225x225px
>>55155435
>>
>>55155476
>Strange portal
"Last thing I remember was I was dumpster diving in Sigil, when suddenly the dumpster got a lot deeper than it should've been, and I fell in, and next thing I knew I was in the middle of bumfuck nowhere surrounded by gawking inbred humans."
>>
File: latest[1].png (281KB, 377x480px) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].png
281KB, 377x480px
>>55155418
>Kenku party
>None of them have ever been part of a criminal activity before or are not part of one now
Whatever you say, anon
>>
>>55155471
I was going to question where they'd heard those sound but they are in waterdeep after all
>>
>>55155514
I didn't say they were never criminals, they just aren't currently criminals. If they wanted to still be criminals they would've stayed in Skullport.
>>
>>55155514
The most criminal thing my kenku ever did was be a slave
>>
>advertise my game on roll20
>Literally hundreds of applications
>Read none of them
>Randomly delete all but 5
>Those 5 are my group
>I don't play with unlucky people
>>
>>55148061
Tiger bracers or vambrace claws
>>
File: FUCKING DORKS.jpg (19KB, 475x357px) Image search: [Google]
FUCKING DORKS.jpg
19KB, 475x357px
How do I make a shitty rules lawyer stop rules lawyering? This is a guy who very clearly doesn't have a good grasp on the game (he's played only 3 characters, 2 champions and an eldritch blast machine in a 1 shot) yet he feels the need to call the group out on rules that don't even exist. He has literally never been right and he keeps slowing down the game and pissing off the entire table. Last time he even tried arguing that player characters don't get to take reactions, and I literally had to look through the book and find the reactions section to get him to shut up.
>>
>>55155541
Thats the way to go
>>
Anyone able to download or create a new version of orcpub2? It saved a lot of time in CC
>>
>>55155602
"Save it for after the game, then we can discuss it."

Dude sounds like a sperg though.
>>
File: Dumb Pepe.png (19KB, 990x536px) Image search: [Google]
Dumb Pepe.png
19KB, 990x536px
>>55153302
So was I.
>>
>>55155602
Tell him to save those rule discussions for after the session;
that you're the DM and it's your game, so you override the rules regardless, even if it's just temporarily until you take the time to sort it;
and that his disruptions are making the game worse for everybody else so he should either stow it or leave the group.

Also consider giving him some 'cheat sheet' stuff for newbie players just to make sure he's got his ducks in a row, hopefully that'll cut some of it.
>>
File: Wot4EMonkRemastered.pdf (2MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Wot4EMonkRemastered.pdf
2MB, 1x1px
>>55146004
Either play this homebrew or make up your own.

My personal favourite is to split it into 4 archetypes that each follow their own theme.
>>
>>55146093
The shit from tumblr is spilling over again.

Don't you have you job at Google? It's work time right now. Stop shitposting and get back to work.
>>
>>55155282
Let them play a Lycan elf.

Basically a wood elf that gets to shapechange into a wolf of appropriate CR once per long rest.

They are a elf sub-race from previous editions.
>>
>>55155398
No, it isn't. There are only vague similarities between "default D&D" settings and the real-world Middle Ages; the majority of the setting is an anachronistic mess that resembles nothing that ever existed.

>>55149972
Why bother when they do such a great job of it themselves? :^)
>>
What can a non charismatic bard do to subsist? I need some ideas of what he might do that doesn't entail performing or singing.
>inb4 he's actually a thieving rogue
>>
>>55155282
Do NOT do this >>55155755
Do not cater to this shit.
>>
>>55155785
No, my setting is, dipshit
>>
>>55155808
I know, I am not letting her do it, not in any way shape or form
>>
>>55155697
>job at Google
You're giving them way too much credit, anon
>>
>>55155805
have him weild a guitar made from some very hard material like some magical tree's tree bark or metal and use it as a club with some riffs between the swings
>>
>>55155805
Doing gigs at childrens birthday parties as a magician
>>
>>55155805
>non charismatic bard

nani?

i guess you could write songs and stories performed by other bards. if you're setting is advanced enough you could be a composer, author, or something like that.
>>
How do I roleplay the most annoying possible character
In addition to playing a gnome of course
>>
>>55155853
Since you're the kind of person who asks this sort of question, I assume you can just roleplay yourself and get pretty good results.
>>
>>55155805
Take necromancy spells and use magic to raise the dead. The dead don't judge you for being uncharismatic.
>>
>>55155853
First question is why?
>>
>>55155831
Believe me. I'm not.

My cousin works in a Google branch as a manager.
He told me that he worked hard to not fuck up to keep his department safe from libtards.
Most departments are infested with communist lesbians and trannies who do jack shit for their work... The even sexually harras the guys who actually do work...
Oh and don't forget the creepy indians who can't speak English for shit even after years of living in LA.

Once my cousin got promoted he Jewed his lgbt shitbag of a boss into giving his department only east european men ''in the name of equality''.

It's one of the (few) functioning departments at Google.
>>
>>55155853
The best way is to kill yourself. If you're dead when it's your turn in combat, then your party members that are depending on your help will be disappointed.
>>
Hey /tg/ gonna be introducing a group of newbies to the game. What do you think is the best way to teach the game? Any handy dandy guides or cheat sheets you'd hand out?
>>
>>55152337
>thri-kreen
>forest

what
>>
>>55153459
By memory: You can't sneak attack as long as two enemies are standing near *YOU*, not near each other. Just maneuver yourself into a position where you're not adjacent to both and you can sneak attack all you want.
>>
File: d39.png (311KB, 680x906px) Image search: [Google]
d39.png
311KB, 680x906px
>>55155843
>>55155841
>>55155832
I'm liking a combination of these ideas, thanks.
Basically my idea is the following: a frustrated warlock like /x/ in pic related. He's studied demons and ancient magic for years and has enciclopedic knowledge of it all. Eventually he made some sort of pact with a demon (level1 warlock) but he's complete rubbish with it.
Meanwhile, he needs to put bread on the table, so he has bard levels and struggles with this as well, since he's clearly not charismatic.
He lives in the shadow of his rival, who summoned a plague that devastated whole villages, and treats him in a patronizing way.
>>
>>55155947
make it a romcom between the warlocks (way better if they're both men) and you have my approval
>>
>>55155947
>goatse in second panel
>>
File: 17986-26789-1110.jpg (11KB, 200x254px) Image search: [Google]
17986-26789-1110.jpg
11KB, 200x254px
>>55153092
>>
>>55156016
>>>/pol/
>>
>>55153207
one eye squirts mustard
one eye squirts ketchup
one eye squirts cum
>>
>>55152522
I tried downloading it but it's super laggy and buggy for me. It just doesn't work well and crashes constantly.
>>
>>55155343
Adventurer eggs, anon. We went over this awhile ago.
>>
How do you handle accidentally misleading people?
Two groups in a row now with newer players and folks keep multiclassing into the class I'm playing after watching a good Minor Illusion placement, an encounter ending Suggestion land or using Misty Step to be the only person to survive an encounter.
"Wow that was awesome can't believe you survived that!/God DAMN Bards are OP!" and suddenly next session at level up we've got a Monk 2/Bard 1 or Ranger 3/Wizard 1

How can I prevent this shit? A polite but firm 'Really, that is a terrible, terrible idea.'?
Not only that, they didn't really seem to learn anything. Spell picks always including Thunderwave or Witchbolt with MI cantrip (Of course, cause thats what they saw)... followed by acid splash, acid spray, etc.

I feel bad, because their characters go from decent to total shit.
>>
>>55156016
>still being on the trump train

good lord
>>
>>55155915
Holy shit its just as bad as I imagined
>>55156016
Poster here, it was just a shitpost, I actually like trump, he has my support, its crazy how much hate the man gets though
>>
File: Low Quality Bait.jpg (16KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
Low Quality Bait.jpg
16KB, 600x600px
>>55156133
>I actually like trump, he has my support, its crazy how much hate the man gets though
>>
>>55156094
Why not just talk to them and work with them to craft characters that are more capable?

Also, bards and wizards are pretty fucking strong. Its not shocking that they would end up being caught off guard by their capability.
>>
>>55155915
>>55156133
>>
>>55156203
>>55156146
Samefag?
>>
Which is a more fun gish, hexblade or stone sorceror?
>>
>>55156221
Paladin
>>
>>55156218
Not samefag. Just able to recognize bait.
>>
>>55155697
>hurr I'm too much of a fucking retard to understand the post isn't by Tumblr, it's by /pol/ pretending to be Tumblr to get everyone else to rage at Tumblr
Fucking summerfags, I swear.
>>
File: spooky.jpg (812KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
spooky.jpg
812KB, 1920x1080px
>>55156228
In my DM's settings rational egoists are prohibited from becoming paladins
>>
>>55156230
Yah sure
>>
>>55156236
Tell him he's a just upset you don't believe in spooks and that holding to an oath is something a rational egoist can do.
>>
File: b5a.jpg (23KB, 255x222px) Image search: [Google]
b5a.jpg
23KB, 255x222px
>The back half of that thread
I don't know who's baiting who anymore
>>
>tfw no Qt gnome gf
>>
>>55156094
Acid Splash is a way underrated cantrip. It can hit two creatures for full damage, and you don't see that often in cantrips. It's also much more likely that monsters and NPCs will have bad saves rather than bad AC.
>>
>>55156306
But saves aren't always consistant, ac is
>>
>>55156324
But attack rolls aren't always consistent, spell DCs are
>>
>>55156324
Plus it's easier to get advantage on an attack than impose disadvantage on an enemy's save
>>
>>55156386
>>55156402
Quite a connundrune we have here
>>55156391
Fuck off politifag we don't want your shitty politics we're here to talk about D&D not D&R
>>
>>55156391
Regardless of your real world political opinions, they belong in /pol/, not happy elf game discussion.

>>55156402
It's harder for an enemy to get advantage on saves than it is disadvantage on ranged spell attacks.
>>
>>55155915
my uncle works at nintendo too
he helped make mario
>>
>>55156324
They both have the same amount of variance - a single d20 roll. Can you really not see that?

As far as bonuses, your spell attack bonus will be essentially the same as your spell save DC, but monsters often have huge AC but seldom have huge save bonuses.
>>
File: IMG_1858.jpg (33KB, 680x447px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1858.jpg
33KB, 680x447px
>>55156391
>>
>>55145627
By playing Pathfinder instead of this stupid casual garbage.
>>
File: wotc.jpg (100KB, 626x908px) Image search: [Google]
wotc.jpg
100KB, 626x908px
>>55156566

>libtards

Shouldn't you be OD'ing on heroin or fucking your cousin right now?
>>
File: IMG_0788.png (101KB, 210x195px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0788.png
101KB, 210x195px
>>55156632
>tweet from a man who imposed a literal gay quota
>calling all conservatives backwards druggy rednecks
>>
>>55154041
just let him be old. who gives a fuck?
>>
>>55156705
That's untrue. Some of them are backwards druggy kid-touchers.
>>
>>55156716
But thats snowflake old, never let anyone play a snowflake character
>>
File: 19194-17972-30259.jpg (23KB, 396x382px) Image search: [Google]
19194-17972-30259.jpg
23KB, 396x382px
>>55156541
>playing Pathfinder
>>
>>55156716
>i wanna be an 80 year old human
Okay.
>i wanna be a 600 year old elf
Okay.
>i wanna be a 12,000 year old kenku
No.
>>
>>55156749
>tfw you're 8,000 years old but have been in fewer than three fistfights over your life and have never performed a service for another person, like getting some rats out of the cellar or finding their lost brooch
>still level 1
>>
>>55145627
The most common trap for new players is trying to make something original or playing against type. People try to do that before they even try to play it straight.

Most of what makes a character interesting is what happens during the adventure, not before. A bog-standard character allowed to react to the game world will not remain bog-standard for long. A character with a ten-page backstory about how unique and special they are will have a harder time reacting to events in the campaign that don't revolve around them, and they'll actually stay boring for longer.
>>
Does a Paladin/Sorcerer gain any benefits from going into swashbuckler? Like, say I did 3 Rogue/2 Paladin/ and the went the rest of the way in Sorcerer, would I be losing more than I gain? The bonus I get to initiative and skills is really tempting.
>>
>>55156705

statistically trump supporters are poor uneducated whites, who also happen to have the highest suicide rate. does it upset you that the closet thing to someone caring about your political opinions are anonymous people on a message board made for sharing porn?
>>
File: 21647-32115-20265.jpg (93KB, 777x1024px) Image search: [Google]
21647-32115-20265.jpg
93KB, 777x1024px
>>55156037
>>55156099
>Trump Derangement Syndrome

>>55156133
>its crazy how much hate the man gets though
see above comment
>>
>>55156868
Skills are ribbons. Initiative is almost a ribbon; it's certainly not as good as having a whole extra 1.5 levels of spells.
>>
>>55156716
The setting for my current game involves ancient mysteries and large scale social and technological change over relatively short periods. That would be torpedoed if Elven or Dwarven PCs could be 400 years old and give first-hand accounts of shit lost to time. So I made every race have a normal human lifespan. Done.

The knowledge that comes with centuries of life, even when it's a basic knowledge of history rather than aged wisdom, is one of the most underplayed and misunderstood aspects of settings where long-lived PC races exist. It's hard for us to wrap our heads around how much someone would know by having lived several hundred years, and the mechanics of the game don't make any real allowances for that (and would be busted if they did).

A setting like Forgotten Realms is all about past civilizations and musty old ruins being literally everywhere, but some 400yo Dwarf might reasonably have visited or read of several of them and blow up all sense of mystery and adventure. Their having forgotten that is a much tougher sell than "roll History to see if maybe you heard a rumor about that". I might forget some story I heard about life in Pompeii, but I wouldn't forget having vacationed there.
>>
>>55156877
>statistically trump supporters are poor uneducated whites

so... the majority of the country is poor, uneducated whites?

you're literally retarded.
>>
>>55156541
fuck off Trust
>>
>>55156877
Just report him instead of engaging or insulting. That only provokes further retarded responses.
>>
>>55156877
You know who else has high suicide rates, trannys and japs, why did you bring this up at all, and as for being "uneducated", it doesn't neccesarily mean stupid, it just means a lot of them didn't go to college if i remember correctly. did you just /tg/ a porn board? Anyways I'm only mad that you're taking up my precious D&D discussion time with any politics at all
>>
>>55156906
>he believes Trump actually won a majority of voters, or that participating voters make up a majority of the US population
I guess we shouldn't be surprised that the one thing rural hicks are good at is making strawmen.
>>
>this thread
/pfg/ doesn't seem so bad anymore.
>>
>>55156961
Things were going great until the other /5eg/ died.
>>
>>55156961
It's what happens when you respond to /pol/ bait instead of reporting it.
>>
>>55156960

I didn't know stocking walmart and home depot shelves is a "trade"
>>
>>55156960
Internet Shitposting isn't a trade.
>>
>>55155947
>/pol/
>not an overweight neckbearded pussy
hmmmm
>>
>>55156957
They feel that those things are true, and feelings feel truer than facts, especially if you never finished college and can't read anything more complex than a McDonald's menu.
>>
File: parkfemales.png (197KB, 918x600px) Image search: [Google]
parkfemales.png
197KB, 918x600px
>>55157000
>implying
does this look like an overweight neckbearded pussy to you
>>
>>55156957
>>he believes Trump actually won a majority of voters, or that participating voters make up a majority of the US population

really nice statistics you got there, bro
>>
>>55157022
>incels
>>
>>55157015
>and feelings feel truer than facts
But anon that's both sides any more
>>
>>55157084
>>55157084
>>55157084
>>
>>55157073
dae le both sides xD
>>
>>55154138
Volo's is amazing. Definitely my favorite of the published works.
>>
>>55156905
I just realized I haven't taken this into account in the games I run. It definitely would change the dynamic of information and how easy it is to access it. Although most of the ruins the group explores are from before or after shit went bonkers in the world so it's lost to even the long lived races except a few exceptions.
>>
>>55157102
>Has no defense
>Immediately resorts to memes
Thank you for proving you both are in the wrong for shitting up a D&D thread with politics.
>>
>>55157139
>both sides
>>
>>55157102
Why are you so desperate to defend your simple-minded cattle-like tribalism? Don't worry cuckold, you'll get the different colored sheep someday lol
>>
Anyone ever tested the fairness of their dice?
I'm doing 120 rolls on each dice and so far everything seems good, maybe my d10's can be a little fucked up because they are multi-colored
>>
>>55157175
Isn't there an actual test you can do with water to see if they are weighted either by accident or design?
>>
>>55157180
I tried salt water until the water was completely saturated and the die dropped like rocks to the bottom, I heard you can use Salt Epson, but my local pharmacy didn't have any
>>
>>55157168
Yes, the left invented and demanded safe spaces not in the traditional sense but for their hurt feelings. The right has knee jerk reaction to what the left does based off their feelings instead of hard facts. The left also turned around and started mocking safe spaces when the right adopted it out of spite for the right.

In short both sides feed of each other and base their first moves on emotions, these can easily be flipped because both sides retain one, their dislike for the other.
>>
>>55156996

So people who work at Wal-Mart are bad? You're still making the same shitty argument.
>>
>>55157248

is being a suicidal community-college dropout who votes for a politician who openly says their policies will hurt their voters bad? i haven't made any arguments, just claims based on data from the cdc and exit polls.
>>
>>55157248
The dignity of labor implied in calling it a "trade" is no longer present in significant enough numbers to be meaningful. Even calling them "blue collar" or "working class" is giving too much credit to the kind of service-sector featherbedding that is the majority of lower-class white work. The coal industry employs fewer people than JC Penney alone. And yet conservatives like to pretend that all poor white people dig ditches for a living because it paints a better picture than sexually harassing customers at a 7-11.
>>
>>55155401
I like to reflavor them as sentient golems
>>
File: kek.jpg (137KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
kek.jpg
137KB, 800x800px
>>55156906
>trump supporters
>the majority of the country
Thread posts: 336
Thread images: 42

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.