[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Starfinder General /sfg/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 333
Thread images: 69

File: 1503942592111.jpg (323KB, 1863x816px) Image search: [Google]
1503942592111.jpg
323KB, 1863x816px
Starfinder General /sfg/

Megastructure Edition

/sfg/ unified link repository: https://pastebin.com/BBVzM7tm
Cheatsheet: http://paizo.com/paizo/blog/v5748dyo5lk2n?Starfinder-Cheat-Sheet
FAQ: http://paizo.com/starfinder/faq

old thread: >>55116044
>>
File: Garunteed Replies.jpg (235KB, 1280x1005px) Image search: [Google]
Garunteed Replies.jpg
235KB, 1280x1005px
>>55140220

As a Courtesy to thread goers. Please link all Homebrew, rule tweaks, and changes to this post right here.
>>
>>55140761
okay but there's a massive rework and simplification pass going into the next one here.

I think SE's burstfire rules are around somewhere too
>>
>>55140761
E or I
>>
>>55140833
Any plans on touching the numbers for ship size, expansion bays, and the like, or are you just going with combat fixes?
>>
>>55140868
I've got a bit of upgrades in there already, but the lack of even a single expansion bay on anything short of a 4-bay ship is just... strange.

I could use some ideas/suggestions on what else is missing though as much of the focus was on combat, weapons and crew actions.
>>
>>55140855
>E
shit taste confirmed
>>
>>55140761
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1x_OVllmNNfqPZq_TcUnLjjL2G_sOXEVpO3KlnEP0dPs/edit
>>
>>55140949
>>55140761

Also F=J>B>A>G>H>L>K>E>D>C>I
>>
>>55140761
Which will be the body type for your character?
>>
File: Einhander.jpg (200KB, 910x800px) Image search: [Google]
Einhander.jpg
200KB, 910x800px
>>55141119
I wanna play a one-armed character
>>
>>55141119
>>
>>55141156
>>55140961

Hi Sweagle.

Did you end up making that MEC Trooper you wanted to make?
>>
>>55140887
How about one bay for fighters, and for tiny/small ships you can get one of a small selection but it has to be accessed from outside, to represent things like the missile-generator being repurposed to produce drugs or the like? You gotta land or EVA since there's no room to walk around though, but the software and capabilities can be installed?
>>
>>55140961
My absolute fucking nigger holy shit
>>
>>55141650
There's two of them, gods save us!
>>
File: 1436138377887.png (66KB, 296x285px) Image search: [Google]
1436138377887.png
66KB, 296x285px
Tell me about environments, what does it mean if a planet's atmosphere is "Thin?" Better yet, where can I find this information in the CRB, anyone got a page?
>>
>>55141136
>Einhander pic
My Mwangi.
>>
>>55141803
Environment rules start on p. 394, thin atmosphere specifically is on 396.

Mechanically, it means a DC 15 Fort save per hour, +1 for each repetition, vs. fatigue. Even thinner atmospheres mean a DC 25 fort save vs. 1 damage to all ability scores the first time you fail the repeating DC 15+ save. Fluff-wise, if you're looking for clear cutoffs between "normal" and "thin," I don't think you're going to find it.
>>
>>55141959
Awesome, thank you! I'm just curious because I wanted to know how fucked my character would be for long periods of time on that mountain resort planet listed in the Vast.
>>
>>55140220
anyone actually running a game of this?
>>
>>55142293
Hard to with no bestiary or anything else
>>
>>55142293
I downloaded the book for the setting, and when my current campaign is done, I intent to run my next game in the setting, though I won't be using the system.
>>
>>55141119
Going to start C with 11 str but I might boost my str up to 15 for heavy weapons so might end up looking more like J. Planning on building Mechanic (Exocortex, yeah I know it's not great but it fits my concept best)
>>
>>55142293
Getting a campaign together as we speak, gonna be using mostly NPCs and other humanoids for encounters until the Alien Archive comes out. Even then, I'm not above homebrewing some aliens and monsters to throw at my party.
>>
>>55140868
What's wrong with ship size anyways
>>
>>55142867
All the numbers attached to them. Larger ships start to have insanely low masses, don't have anywhere near enough expansion bays to reasonably accommodate what a ship that size could do, and have insanely low crew capacities. A modern Nimitz aircraft carrier can have a total crew reaching somewhere around 5000 and over 80 ships, while a colossal Starfinder ship, presently limited to the Dreadnought frame, is at minimum 13 times larger, has a maximum crew one tenth the size, an absolute maximum fighter capacity of 40, and apparently has a minimum tonnage of 8000 tons vs. the Nimitz's 101,600. Cargo capacity is similarly nonsensical.

I haven't checked the numbers to see where exactly it really starts breaking down on the size chart, but at some point it crosses over from functional tiny ships to batshit insane.
>>
>>55143180
Nimitz can have over 80 aircraft, not ships. I'm literate, I swear.
>>
>>55143180
Fun fact, even if you use all the expansion bays on a dreadnought you can't have enough escape pods to evacuate even a minimum crews.
>>
File: K0W71ci.png (2KB, 705x199px) Image search: [Google]
K0W71ci.png
2KB, 705x199px
>>55143180
>>55143194
As one more note, someone on the Paizo forums figured out a silhouette comparison. According to the numbers in the CRB, the black starship - a gargantuan battleship right on the gargantuan/colossal threshold - and the red US Destroyer are equivalent in mass and crew.

That's what's wrong with Starfinder ship size.
>>
>>55143450
How long did it take for them to get banned for suggesting that Paizo made a mistake?
>>
>>55143749
The thread's still up, people are defending Paizo saying it's a "nod to sci-fi books that get those things wrong all the time."
>>
>>55143399
I suspected as much.
So this requires a full overhaul of the sizes then.

We need new tables, new crew numbers and new expansion slots.

Two questions then: is 20-60ft fine for tiny, and should a nimitz-class carrier be "huge" (800-2000ft) or Colossal (tonnage-based)? To get an idea of the ranges here...

How about if an aircraft carrier was the level for Gargantuan, leaving space for shit like supercarriers?
>>
>>55140761
H = J > A

L is pretty great too, but she looks stuck up.
>>
>>55143767
Just glancing at some things, Tiny may actually be mostly fine, though with some fuzziness on the border. Continuing with the Nimitz theme, the Boeing Super Hornet is ~60 feet (and an inch) at weighs in at 32k pounds empty, 47k loaded. It'll swing up or down over that tiny/small line, but hey, it's at least in the ballpark. Glancing over Wiki's list of other planes usually on the Nimitz, it's kind of the same there - 60ish feet, give or take, and in the general range of 20-25 tons loaded. A whole lot more variability unloaded, though. I'm sure someone more military minded could come in and tell me how I'm wrong about everything, but that's what I'm seeing.

Tiny could use tweaking, but compared to real world planes, I think it's broadly fine. Small and up, though... Small doubles length on the upper end, and only doubles mass, so that looks to be where things start down the path to madness. And for fixing that, I'm honestly not sure which would be best. But I feel like we should definitely be able to get something Dreadnought sized, so I lean toward Nimitz still just being huge.

This does all answer one thing, though. Apparently the reason huge and larger ships can't land on a planet is because they're probably lighter than air.

>>55143749
If anyone's getting banned, it's probably over in the queer thread rather than the number crunching threads. I didn't see anyone getting culled over this.
>>
>>55143993
>tfw the most popular thread about Starfinder on the Paizo forums is about how gay you can get the game

>>55141959
>Mechanically, it means a DC 15 Fort save per hour, +1 for each repetition, vs. fatigue. Even thinner atmospheres mean a DC 25 fort save vs. 1 damage to all ability scores the first time you fail the repeating DC 15+ save. Fluff-wise, if you're looking for clear cutoffs between "normal" and "thin," I don't think you're going to find it.

You can get acclimatized to Thin atmospheres if you spend a month in them!
>>
>>55143993
One big factor in mass on aircraft is the ordnance and *fuel*. So depending on what shit runs on in the future, being 5 tons lighter than current aluminum frames when you run on fusion (energy density of even a fission engine's uranium is magnitudes larger than the equivalent mass of JP-8) and don't have to worry about hitting a plate of metal at high speed in a storm makes a lot of sense.
>>
>>55143993
Well, it's space. So, how about mass be the real deciding factor, and let length follow?

Would it be a reasonable simplification of the square-cube law to only double length every time if we're tripling mass every time?
>>
>>55143866
>L is pretty great too, but she looks stuck up.
Stuck up is fine for a roll in the hay, though. Princess types are always looking for somebody below them to go slumming with.
>>
>>55144078
Yeah, I can see that. The lower end of the weight range doesn't conform, to square/cube based on the upper end, but at least there you could argue that it's just the weight of components like the reactor and engines that you can't functionally make much smaller than that.

>>55144229
I think mass multiplying by 8 per category is fine. It works for creatures, so it's clearly something we can handle. I don't see how violating that would improve things either, since that's exactly how we got such bad numbers in the first place.
>>
>>55144409
I say "per category" but looking at the chart reminds me that the scaling from one end of a size to the other is incredibly inconsistent. Tiny triples, small doubles, medium is a 1.5 range, large is 2 and a third...

Every little thing I notice here just makes the default size chart worse. I can't even tell what the reasoning behind these size ranges is supposed to be. Creature sizes are based on the upper end being twice the lower end, but apparently ship sizes are based on pixie dust and bullshit.

Mass should increase by 8 every time length doubles, if the rest of the ship follows, but everything about size looks like it needs to be rewritten. Which follows with rewriting all the expansion bay capacities, which leads to considering whether to rewrite prices for bays, at which point you start wondering whether to rewrite tier budgets, and...

God, fixing this potentially means rewriting pretty near the whole chapter if you really follow through on it.
>>
>>55144547
Well I was already well into doing that anyways...
How's this for a new chart:

Tiny: 4-25 tons, 20-60ft
Small: 25-200 tons, 60-120ft
Med: 200-1500 tons, 120-250ft
Large: 1500-12k tons, 250-500ft
Huge: 12k-95k tons, 500-1000ft
Garg: 95k-750k tons, 1000-2000ft
Colos: 750+ kilotons, 2000+ feet

Just some occasional very small rounding to keep the table divisions looking cleaner and easier to remember, but otherwise pretty much x8 every time on mass and x2 on length.

This puts an aircraft carrier at the low end of Gargantuan (a nimitz-class is about 105 kilotons and 1060 feet long). A Galaxy-Class Starship would in comparison be Colossal (it's over 2100ft long and because it's so fat and made of high-density materials is apparently over 4.5 megatons)
>>
>>55144776
The lowest end of the scale is 4 tons since things like an old P-51D were between 3 and 4 tons depending on loadout. A Super-Tucano is 5.5 tons max takeoff weight.

A 5-ton 20ft starship is more compact (it DOES have less aerodynamics to worry about, can easily cut off the tail) being only as long as the smaller u-haul rental trucks.
>>
File: Starfinder Races.pdf (423KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Starfinder Races.pdf
423KB, 1x1px
>>55140761
>>
File: Starfinder Weapons (1).pdf (68KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Starfinder Weapons (1).pdf
68KB, 1x1px
>>55140761
>>
>>55144776
>>55144896
Yeah, rounding a little bit is fine - creature sizes do it anyway. I just didn't want to go too far and leave square/cube in the dust. Madness lies down that path.

It definitely doesn't get as large as Colossal does RAW, but that's probably fine - there's always going to be room for a bigger ship, so if it came to it, Colossal+, ++, etc., could just be winged if really needed. With Tiny being the starting point in that range, I think that chart looks fine. But now comes the issue of fixing things like cargo capacity, expansion bay count, the implicit balance in expansion bay count and fighter capacity, as if Paizo even really considered that too deeply...

If you can keep your head on straight long enough to work your way through all of that, more power to you. It's definitely a mess.
>>
>>55145337
Indeed. I just wanted to get the most glaring fuckup out of the way.

And of course Paizo didn't consider those things too deeply. Take a look at those expansions: That 15000ft dreadnought can carry.... 500 tons of cargo.
>>
>>55145337
Could be balanced by BP costs, or by changing the rules for the bays to scale values with the ship size category.

I know that my houserules are changing the Tier scaling to go by size category, so this would be logical.
>>
>>55145638
Meant to reply to >>55145377 as well.
>>
I'm thinking that in addition to the increase in number of expansion bays, what each one is worth could change by size (though how much one cargo is worth needs some consideration).

So one of the labs or workshops can be taken as a limited-bay on a tiny ship: letting one person work on one project/item per day if the ship's not under acceleration (and preferably landed and secured somewhere). Meanwhile on a Gargantuan vessel that same Arcane Lab can have 4 different items being built at the same time with 4 workers at a time, with enough crew that there's probably three shifts putting in their 8 hours apiece.

Likewise, one colossal expansion bay's worth of escape pods should cover a whole lot more than like six crew...
>>
>>55140220
so uh, anyone know what page the size modifiers are on?
like... how big is a tiny character? do they get bonus AC?
>>
>>55145730
That sounds like a good way of doing it. And it's probably the way it should have been done in the first place.
>>
>>55146123
They did away with the size change stat screwery shit.
>>
>>55146258
>Expansion bays are now based on size. While the number of bays available grows slowly - representing a measure of role specialization - the value of each bay increases, though the PCU requirements are multiplied as well.

>Many ships save on costs and complexity by shutting down multiple non-essential systems including a majority of non-critical expansion bays. This 'jump-dimming' is a common sight on commercial vessels or older military models whose cores may not have kept up with mid-life retrofit upgrades.

>Cargo Bay:
>While relatively spacious, Cargo-Bays are designed for long-term storage of packed-in and locked-down materials. While their capacity does mean a Dreadnought could carry eight snub-fighters, for example, these are disassembled across several transport crates and the cargo bay itself ill-equipped to prepare them for proper use.

>Particularly large Capital Ships may store spare starfighters and shuttles in a state of Limited-Assembly for 20t and 100t of cargo respectively. These may be transferred to empty hangars and readied for launch in 10 minutes, effectively following the Limited-Fire recovery rules.
>Tiny: 0.5t, Small: 2t, Large: 5t, Huge: 20t, G: 50t, C: 200t
>>
>>55147123
I'm a little skeptical of those values still, since the RAW cargo hold is 25 tons and that was giving some very questionable results already. It's going to really depend on what you do with expansion bay numbers. You also appear to have left Medium out, so I don't know how that affects your intended scale.

I don't much care to go digging around for cargo ship capacities tonight, but I can do that later to get a better ballpark for final target numbers that might be worth aiming at.
>>
>>55147494
One problem with that cargo thing was that a shuttle with three cargo expansions was carrying 75 tons of cargo... While a dreadnought with 3 cargo expansions was also carrying 75 tons of cargo.
>>
At this point the frames themselves would need rewriting too.
>>
>>55140220
alright, so I have looked over the books for Starfinder, but apparently, PAIZO in all of its fucking brilliance didn't think someone would like to play a doctor/medic/chemist of any kind.

I wanted to play a Ysoki doctor that said "fuck that shit" to the Hippocratic oath and started making custom made viruses and diseases to put in syringes and to shoot them with a syringes gun at enemies or make healing poultices to shoot allies with.

the general feel of my character design is Ana from Overwatch mixed with Twitch from League of Legends. Can someone help me out with this? preferably no homebrew because i don't feel like overwhelming the GM since he's new to Starfinder as well
>>
>>55148366
iirc there's darts that'll let you fill'em up with chems
>>
>>55148380
ok, that's a start. can I load said darts into a dart gun/crossbow thing of some kind?
>>
File: IsItClassyEnough.jpg (21KB, 255x350px) Image search: [Google]
IsItClassyEnough.jpg
21KB, 255x350px
>>55140761
I'll take C and L.

The rest are lower class degenerates. I'll leave them for you peasants.
>>
>>55148833

Yeah, Injection Pistol/Rifle.
>>
File: DIbR2-DUEAAQcBj.jpg (34KB, 525x429px) Image search: [Google]
DIbR2-DUEAAQcBj.jpg
34KB, 525x429px
>>55149001
Finally a nigger with some taste.
>>
Anyone have the pdfs for Starfinder Society Scenarios #1-00 to 1-03?

Looking forward to checking them out.
>>
File: Contracts Stardust.jpg (1MB, 1197x2387px) Image search: [Google]
Contracts Stardust.jpg
1MB, 1197x2387px
Which contract would your character/party take anon? And how do you end up dead?
>>
File: 51058d651f08e27bc120f9a0f7c24fd7.jpg (474KB, 738x1000px) Image search: [Google]
51058d651f08e27bc120f9a0f7c24fd7.jpg
474KB, 738x1000px
Why is a hygiene kit bulk 1?

That's 5-10 pounds.

What could possibly be inside it?
>>
>>55150312
>shampoo
>conditioner
>body soap
>toothpaste
>toilet paper
>douche
>enema
>condoms
>lube
>spermicide
>pregnancy test
>genetic compatibility test
>q-tips
You never know what you're gunna fug in space, anon.
>>
>>55149526
I do, but I hate you. I will only allow you one of them, so pick which.
>>
>>55150312
a crate of tampons, an econo-pack of pads, a toothbrush, half a pound of toothpaste, six bars of soap, enough mouthwash to black-out a dozen homeless, and one of those tiny hotel-room bottles of shampoo
>>
>>55150333
Why the hate anon? We used to be goodfriends.

I choose #1-00. I'll keep questing for the others.
>>
File: fTdTZNm.jpg (102KB, 1000x566px) Image search: [Google]
fTdTZNm.jpg
102KB, 1000x566px
>>55150312

it's just three seashells
>>
>>55150435
mega @ #!OM0T1D7C!aeuwz-GI4u_h-XE0lqzs7LaMSwBSs5W6wpIITKYaa1M

My heart is still scarred over the old wars in /pgg/, the wounds burn every time I see a page 4 thread war start. Perhaps in time we can mend, but until now, all I can leave you is this.
>>
>>55150456
I look forward to that day then. The wild frontiers of /sfg/ is rich and unexplored, we mustn't let the wounds of the old world hold us back.

Thanks for being true to your word. Fly safe out there.
>>
>>55150451
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>55149526

Here are Into the Unknown, 1-00: Claim to Salvation, 1-01: The Commencement (this is the adventure including the milk run for a sugar pop band's new album, to help a shirren soldier who has a crush on an android mechanic), and 1-02: Fugitive on the Red Planet. I am having difficulty downloading 1-03: Yesteryear's Truth.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iu6fce1gcf16b42/Starfinder%20Society%20Scenario%20-%20Into%20the%20Unknown.pdf?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/919z18o6obvafpa/Starfinder%20Society%20Scenario%201-00%20-%20Claim%20to%20Salvation.pdf?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3ga1prv2zmwgmzg/Starfinder%20Society%20Scenario%201-01%20-%20The%20Commencement.pdf?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2kqu4i1pj9mwdio/Starfinder%20Society%20Scenario%201-02%20-%20Fugitive%20on%20the%20Red%20Planet.pdf?dl=0
>>
>>55150649
I am disgusted at your helping people but I suppose if it's all being shared I might as well complete it.

Here's 1-03, mega @ /#!3QcDzagL!LuMA3lKmc4i3piUlH7XBwqZTe5QBU25rx0ZyRfsTA6I
>>
I tried making a let's make a starfinder race thread but was sent here. Anyone interested?

The basic idea is: Orks have geentic knowledge of technology, Moonbunnies have a genetic knowldge of biology. Stranded on a desert planet they are able to grow a shoggoth in a matter of weeks.
Being gene-geneers this genetic knowledge was inserted by themsleves. They are the end results of genetic experiments of parents on their children.

Moonbunnies are small creatures covered in white fur that most galaxy dwellers consider incredibly adorable.

They are midly racist, enough to insult other races by calling them ugly and impefect but not enough to refuse collaboration.

Moonbunnies do not sleep, instead for 10 hours out of a 24h cycle they turn off their higher brain functions and turn into home pets:
They start chewing cables, purr and mildly annoy the ship crew. Upon waking up they do not rememeber what did they do in such a state.

They live on the moon of their home planet. No Moonbunny would willing touch the soil of the planet below despite a breathable atmosphere and friendly flora. This fear is due to an experiment gone wrong many generation ago. Which is also the reason of the taboo of growing any intellignet life forms.

What we need to define now:
Flesh out their culture.
What do their spaceships look like?
Interactions with other races and roles on spacships.
Do we want to leave their worship of cute things?
>>
>>55150661

Thank you for completing the set.
>>
File: 1503326044211.jpg (380KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1503326044211.jpg
380KB, 1920x1080px
>>55143180
thats hilarious, tho to be fair these are space ships not ocean ships. an equal vomue space ship should be much much lighter than a ocean ship
youd' think they would actually goto wikipedia or something to find stuff on cargo capactiy and tonnage of ships.
>>
>>55150606
>he doesn't know how to use the three seashells
>>
>>55150649
>>55150661

Thanks for sharing!
>>
>>55150775
Saturn V: 33ft diameter, 363ft long, 2970 metric tons

Koln-class Frigate: 360ft overall length, Beam 36ft, 2750 tons full load.
>>
>>55151024
dude, are you seriously trying to compare a chemical rocket to a fucking fantasy space ship? come on. get real
>>
File: 1503212212583.jpg (474KB, 3000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1503212212583.jpg
474KB, 3000x1000px
>>55151024
>>55151035
might as well compare the density of starfinder ships to the density of rocket fuel fi you do that
>>
>>55151035
You're the one claiming a spaceship should be "much much" lower density than an oceangoing vessel.

Not to mention that anything leaving the confines of planetary magnetic fields with humans onboard is gonna need some fairly significant armor, and that's not even considering the mass required of the various cooling systems if you plan to fire fucking lasers out in space.
>>
>>55151103
Yeah we wouldn't want that superheavy 70.8 kg/m3 hydrogen to skew our results in favor of the rocket being lighter than an 8050 kg/m3 chunk of steel hull.

You'd need to be under 1/113th of the volume of steel to match that rocket fuel in mass.
>>
File: 1411514966163.jpg (38KB, 750x511px) Image search: [Google]
1411514966163.jpg
38KB, 750x511px
>>55140220
Do you guys think I could do a Shadowrun campaign, but with Starfinder?
Is it possible?
How hard would it be and could I eventually transition it to Starfinder?
What things would I have to get rid of or add?
>>
>>55151219
>steel
>in a space ship
you ignorant nigger.
furthermore, most of the volume of starfinder ships is air.
>>
>>55147123
That progression still seems a bit iffy. Remember your square-cube law. If it has the same proportions a ship twice as long will also be twice as tall, and twice as wide so it'll have 8 times the mass and volume. And when making bigger ships you don't necessarily need to scale up each system proportionally. On a ship for 4 people you might need 1 coffee pot but for a ship of 400 you probably won't need 100 coffee pots. And you'll likely have something on the bigger ship that's alot more efficient for that scale than the one coffee pot for the small ship was.
>>
>>55151513
even carbon nanotubes are 22.59887 times as heavy as liquid hydrogen. A Nimitz entirely made of that instead of steel would still be roughly 21 thousand tons.

Part of the considerations when designing a seagoing vessel is density. Heavier than the amount of material that you displace, and you're floating like a rock. Something that doesn't need to do water landings is likely to be far more compact for the same mass, especially when attempting to reduce its RCS.
>>
>>55151794
Don't forget however to alter the starting point for mass before all those multiplications.

The same volume of steel vs aluminum vs graphene are very different values.

Depending on the materials involved, 20 tons for 60ft could be ridiculously high, even if a 15000ft ship would certainly not be 8000 tons if 60ft is 5t.

Base construction may need deciding, though at the same time ever-larger ships and crew take up an increasing amount of space for non-mission-critical affairs; an aircraft carrier has an operating theater, but also a shop, a dentist and a couple of barbers.
>>
File: 6o514oxj - Copy.png (171KB, 500x216px) Image search: [Google]
6o514oxj - Copy.png
171KB, 500x216px
>>55144273
>He doesn't have a wife whom he his fully faithful to
Get out of my thread you barbarian.
>>
I wonder how much of the space in a starship is dedicated to automation for the systems, hydroponics, filtration and other survival oriented stuff that only needs periodic checkups.

Stuff like that can take up a lot of space that wouldn't be taken up on an oceangoing cruiser that doesn't have to worry about any of those things. We still ship tons of food, air, water and other supplies to the actual space station, which has less people in an area that is comparable to a cruise ship.

Has anyone figured out the crew-to-size ratio of the space station yet? Some actual, real data might be useful before you decide that the unrealism is overwhelming.
>>
>>55151875
Starting mass doesn't matter if we assume a similar % of the ship is being devoted to this room. The mass and volume will scale at the same rate, 8 times for ever 2 times 'size'. And if you are concerned about the variance in mass from one material to the next why use mass as your measurement instead of volume to begin with? Also there is a reason massive bulk cargo freighters are used instead of smaller ones, they are more efficient.
>>
>>55151875
>>55151931
Though I assume you could just add two time as many rooms per category jump to make up for the fact each room can only hold 4 times as much.
>>
925,000: How much the ISS weighs in pounds (419,600 kilograms), the equivalent of more than 320 cars.

4: The tons of food required to support a crew of three for about six months (3,630 kg). The ISS crews' favorites include shrimp cocktail, tortillas, barbecue beef brisket, breakfast sausage links, chicken fajitas, vegetable quiche, macaroni and cheese, candy-coated chocolates and cherry blueberry cobbler. Lemonade is the most popular drink.

7: the current number of crew on the space station.
>>
>>55151954
That's about 8470kg for 7 people for 6 months, or roughly 201kg of food per person per month.

It's rather processed and packaged to save on weight, too; would likely be 300kg at the grocery store.

Still don't understand why people weren't fond of that dried ice-cream though.
>>
>>55151954
On a fascinating note, there are serious restrictions on what food can be sent to the ISS. Namely they can't have a strong odor since it's an enclosed environment the smells could practically never dissipate.
>>
>>55151954
So 462.5 tons of spaceship with 7 crew, without hydroponics, power systems aside from solar, a motive system, oxygen generation, gravity generation, etc.

I'm thinking Paizo did their math better than anyone is giving them credit for. Again.
>>
Hmm...what do people feel about PBTA-style effects in Starfinder? I'm working on something non-combat to make a class I'm homebrewing a REALLY good detective but it's rather PBTAish, in order to pull off the 'Hello I'm Sherlock Holmes and I already know about you' style of trick.

Light shining through(Ex) (13+): There is little you have not seen at this point, little that can surprise you. The slightest tell in a person’s movements makes them an open book to you.

As a full round action you may make a sense motive check against a creature you can see, opposed by the target’s bluff. If you succeed you gain uncanny insight into the person and their place in the world. Ask one of the following questions about the target, plus an additional question for every five you surpass the bluff check by, and the GM will answer truthfully from the targets's perspective.

>What do you wish I’d do?
>How are you vulnerable?
>How dangerous are you?
>How bad is your situation?
>What do you intend to do?
>How are you connected to current events?
>What do you most value?

Once a creature has been affected by Light shining through, regardless of success or failure, they are immune to further uses of it for 24 hours.

That and I'm working on non-combat stuff because until the bestiary comes out, trying to do combat stuff beyond throwing down basic ideas would be pointless as I don't have the numbers to properly run it against.
>>
>>55152007
PBTA is shit and you should feel bad for even suggesting it.
>>
>>55152007
Sense Motive can give you hunches on the things a person is capable of and possibly considering to do already.
>>
>>55151985
So say 2 months for 5000 people that's 2010 tons of food, I can see how that might eat into the cargo space.

A cargo-vessel carries massive amounts of freight, but the crew is minute compared to military vessels: The Maersk E-Class container ships are not only 240ft longer than the Kittyhawk, but only have a crew of 13 (with amenities and space for up to 30). That's one of the big appeals of automation; every person less required on board is one less berth, several hundred kilograms less of food storage, one fractional amount less showers and toilets and recreational space required...
>>
>>55152027

Actually, it can't. The only uses of it in Starfinder are 'Detect Deception', 'Discern Secret Message' and 'Sense Mental Effect'.

Hunch vanished between Pathfinder and Starfinder. It's a very passive skill now.
>>
Can anyone help me out I am having issue getting my head around the Whole CR and EXP thing.

So I have a lvl 1 group of 4 players. How much exp should I be giving them?

When I am making a Fight should I try to keep it at or under 3 CR?

If I am doing 2 1/2 CR dudes since it is 2 are they CR 3? Do to the +2 for multiple dudes.

Just not sure how to balance this New to this game and pathfinder like games not sure how the math works out.
>>
>>55152019

Which parts of the idea are bad? Is there a better way to replicate such an effect?
>>
>>55151997
Of course that station is also a mishmash of designs from multiple countries and the structure is mainly layers of titanium, kevlar and steel. There are several tons of connectors between the modules alone
>>
>>55151997
Length 72.8 m (239 ft)
Width 108.5 m (356 ft)
Height ≈ 20 m (66 ft)

This spindly thing is not a space ship and lacks all those things you mentioned but is still has more mass than what the paizo chart suggests.

Large 300–800 ft. 150–420 tons
Huge 800–2,000 ft. 420–1,200 tons
>>
File: 1486391440349.png (1009KB, 1334x750px) Image search: [Google]
1486391440349.png
1009KB, 1334x750px
>>55152027
>>55152055
Dead Suns and the SFS scenarios let you use Sense Motive to make hunches.
>>
>>55152220
And here people have been complaining about the Paizo ships being too big.
>>
>>55152224

Then they really should have included that in the actual rules for the skill.
>>
What if we assume a Graphene/nanotube base for starships? It would explain their ease of heat dissipation under normal circumstances as well as ease power distribution while also explaining why the computer is not a critical location; the entire system might be highly distributed.
>>
>>55152233
They've been complaining that the mass and size of the ships don't match up. The example ships of those sizes are way bulkier than the ISS. Take a careful look at those numbers I posted. The ISS has more mass than a ship that paizo says should be twice as long as it.
>>
>>55152233
not too heavy.
too big for their mass.

The spindly, non-compact station is on the low side of Large in terms of longest dimension, and yet is Huge according to its mass.

A Zumwalt destroyer is 600ft long (Huge) and 14798 tons (close to double the minimum for Colossal). If it was made entirely out of nanotubes it would still be midway in the Gargantuan range with a crew of over 160 once you include the flight detachment. The 130 minimum crew is considered significantly lower than for other ships of that size.

An Airbus 380 is 238ft (Medium) and has a max take-off weight of 575 tons (Huge)
>>
File: Atech-Immortal.jpg (630KB, 1677x669px) Image search: [Google]
Atech-Immortal.jpg
630KB, 1677x669px
>>55152329
And Paizo ships are quite compact. Meet the Atech Immortal.

ATECH IMMORTAL TIER 10
Huge cruiser
Speed 8; Maneuverability average (turn 2); Drift 1
AC 22; TL 22
HP 230; DT 5; CT 46
Shields medium 200 (forward 50, port 50, starboard 50, aft 50)
Attack (Forward) particle beam cannon (3d4×10)
Attack (Port) light plasma cannon (2d12)
Attack (Starboard) light plasma cannon (2d12)
Attack (Turret) heavy plasma torpedo launcher (5d10)
Power Core Nova Ultra (300 PCU); Drift Engine Signal Basic;
Systems basic long-range sensors, crew quarters (good),
mk4 armor, mk 4 defenses, mk 3 duonode computer;
Expansion Bays cargo holds (3), life boats, medical bay,
shuttle bay
Modifiers +3 any two checks per round, +2 Computers;
Complement 60
CREW
Captain Bluff +19 (10 ranks), Computers +21 (10 ranks),
Diplomacy +19 (10 ranks), Engineering +19 (10 ranks),
gunnery +19, Intimidate +19 (10 ranks)
Engineer (1 officer, 20 crew) Engineering +19 (10 ranks)
Gunners (3 officers, 10 crew each) gunnery +24
Pilot (1 officer, 3 crew) Piloting +19 (10 ranks)
Science Officer Computers +21 (10 ranks)
>>
File: Energy Spell.jpg (31KB, 237x240px) Image search: [Google]
Energy Spell.jpg
31KB, 237x240px
Trying to make a generic but balanced scaling dps spell for my campaign. Any comments?

I know it's kinda weak, especially at higher levels, but that's intended.

Cosmic Bolt -
2nd-level evocation

Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: 120 feet
Components: S
Duration: Instantaneous
You create a ray of energy and hurl them at targets within range. You can hurl them at one target or several. Make a ranged attack roll against your target's EAC. On a hit, the target takes 3d6 fire or cold damage(your choice).

At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, you create one additional ray for each slot level above 1st.
>>
>>55152397
So, using high density nanotubes (1.6g/cm3) as a base, Tiny ships become 2-15 tons; a 25 ton aluminum (2.7g/cm3) craft is not quite lowered by half but the reduction is significant and its structural and thermal tolerances go through the fucking roof.

15 tons as the upper end of a tiny ship
>F-14s were 30 tons but had some steel and some decent chunks of titanium (4.506g/cm3); they'd fall to roughly 15 tons fully loaded if all those materials were replaced
>SU-34 Fullback is small, already 39 tons fully loaded originally anyways, Would fall to around 24 tons which is still 'small'

Tiny: 2-15 tons
Small: 15-120 tons
Medium: 120-950 tons
Large: 950-7500 tons
Huge: 7500- 60000 tons
Gargantuan: 60kt to 500kt
Colossal: 500+kt

This makes starfinder ships considerably lighter than their equivalent aluminum or steel construction would involve, while also helping to explain why the smaller half of the fleet can operate in-atmosphere.

It also means that many models can pull off water-landings depending on their shape.
>>
>>55152609
So 2 tons is a nanotube counter-insurgency aircraft, and 15 tons is a full sized space F-14?
>>
Crew Numbers.
Now obviously there's more automation than before, and we should for the purposes of the table consider listed crew as separate from any carried vessels (though the guys running the hangars are part of the bigger ship).

So, what's reasonable, then? Larger military ships with contingents of shit like marines are going to have a lot more, but we also know that simpler designs like a bulk freighter can get by on less than a tenth that many - at least until it's been turned into some flying fortress anyways.
>>
>>55152065
Two CR 1/2 enemies is a CR 1 encounter, which is average. The highest CR encounter a party of four 1st level characters should face is CR 4, which should not consist of a single CR 4 enemy.

The math on Table 11-2: CR Equivalencies is not valid for enemies with fractional CRs. It is only a quick reference chart. The only math that matters for CR and encounter design is the XP budget.

So a CR 3 encounter is worth 800 XP. A CR 1 enemy is worth 400 XP. An encounter with two CR 1 enemies is a CR 3 encounter because you are adding both enemies XP values together. This is what Table 11-2 is showing.
>>
>>55152065
>>55153024
Building encounters is more an art than a science. Party composition and how well they are built can have a significant impact on what they can actually handle That's not to say the CR system is useless, it can give you a ballpark estimate on what a party can handle, but things like saves, DR and energy resistances can really change how things play out. For instance if you have a creatures with fire resistance and the whole party is using laser weapons that's going to be a long rough fight.
>>
>>55149526
Check out >>55035576
>>
>>55152046
Clear spindle aeon stones are only 245 credits a piece here. It's probably not universal, but there are definitely shipping companies that are going to purchase aeon stones in bulk rather than bother feeding the crew. There's probably still a minimum amount of plumbing they need - weird things happen in space - but if the crew isn't eating, that definitely changes the design choices that go into their ship.

>>55152609
And once you get past Tiny, they're still so much heavier than RAW ships. Amazing.

>>55152940
This is a tricky thing, because there are multiple values to consider. With automation involved, I think this is worth considering - the real problem with Paizo's numbers isn't necessarily that the crew is too small for the craft, since it is explicitly starship combat action capable crew. The problem is that they say exactly nothing about any crew beyond that, and combined with the laughable capacities of guest quarters, leave you to infer completely reasonably that ships simply can't have more than a tiny number of people on board according to the rules as they are.

So what we really have are three values; how many people a ship can carry, how many it needs to crew it, and how many are needed for starship combat actions specifically - and from a strictly mechanical perspective, that last one is the only one that matters.
>>
>>55149741

Interesting. I'll take some of these ideas for my ship's bounty board.
>>
>>55154473
Well for the first two values, I'd say we can get a pretty clear idea but require a baseline.

Minimum Crew should be basically one watch worth. On the smallest ships or some lonely masturbator's interplanetary u-haul, that's usually all there is. Once you reach the sizes where you can be expected to NOT want to stay up 24/7 for six weeks at a time, you want a second and third duty shift. At that point politics and economics rear their hideous heads and you start getting arguments between two twelve hour shifts and three eight hour shifts on given vessels, for example. One company thinks you should be paid by the week and be doing the WHOLE week and nothing BUT the week (and you pay for your own stims) while another government imposes strict work-hour limits on non-synthetics to avoid destroyers "accidentally" something ten times their size they were supposed to move out of the way for after somehow having managed to park themselves directly in its path in the giant vastness of fucking space.... AGAIN.

I'm tempted to halve crew numbers for automation with a modern carrier as the crew level of a supercarrier, going down from there. Max complement would be 4x this (to account for guests, extras, trainees, etc in addition to the actual three watches) plus whatever passenger space you expansion for.
>>
>>55152609
>It also means that many models can pull off water-landings depending on their shape.
As a baseline, taking only the depicted crew spaces into consideration, the Dawn Maiden (Size M) would easily float in water even if it massed 2500 to 3000 tons. Taking fuel spaces of unknown density into account changes that, but the larger the waterproof volume the higher the floatable mass.

Each visible grid square is going to represent at least 7 cubic meters of volume. Possibly more if Vesk and other tall races are in the design assumptions. One cubic meter holds about one metric ton of water, so if the ship weighs less than its cubic meter volume in tons it'll float in water. Maybe not *well*, but it'll float.

For comparison, Traveller ships are assumed to weigh between 3 and 10 tons per cubic meter for civilian models that aren't armored or carrying gigundous power systems and drives. Armor or big drives can send that up to double that very quickly.

Of course, Traveller assumes the use of steel and other mundane building materials, not magically-enhanced bone or crystalized despair, so your mileage will vary.
>>
>>55155080
>Dawn Maiden
Sunrise Maiden.
>>
>>55155080
I would not normally suggest mixing too much real world science into a Pulpy mess like Starfinder, but since the SF ships appear to be built of rice paper and happy thoughts and are clearly absurd as a result, a RW reference point is not a bad thing.
>>
>>55155080
>Of course, Traveller assumes the use of steel and other mundane building materials, not magically-enhanced bone or crystalized despair, so your mileage will vary.
Oh come on, every one knows crystallized despair is a fuel source, not a building material.
>>
>>55155308
That could still mean that there is a LOT of it onboard. The fuel efficiency of CrysDes is unknown.
>>
>>55155341
True, and Technomancers can't seem to agree if the amount of hope that was present before the despair effects that or if any sort of lingering hope or other positive feelings makes it burn cleaner or not.
>>
>>55140220
>no plant people as a default race
>>
File: hylotl.png (231KB, 676x657px) Image search: [Google]
hylotl.png
231KB, 676x657px
>>55155519
no merfolk as a default race
>>
>>55140761
Hmm.... C, but K looks like she could be a lot of fun.
>>
File: silicoid.jpg (153KB, 1100x550px) Image search: [Google]
silicoid.jpg
153KB, 1100x550px
>>55155533
>no rock people as a default race
>>
>>55155533
Give it a little. Ships filled with water take special consideration.
>>
>>55155568
Paizo can't even be bothered to give normal ships normal consideration. So why should ships filled with water receive such treatment?
>>
File: Zoralinkcomic.jpg (484KB, 714x1109px) Image search: [Google]
Zoralinkcomic.jpg
484KB, 714x1109px
>>55155568
sleeping pods filled with water
done
>>
File: AutomaticWut.png (139KB, 1882x755px) Image search: [Google]
AutomaticWut.png
139KB, 1882x755px
>>No.55116600
(The post in the cap refers to a post made in the previous thread)
Just to clarify how the Automatic property function, according to the book, all it does is let you shoot everybody in your firezone once, correct?
>>
>>55155667
Up to the limit set by the ammo in your gun yeah. And it targets closest creatures first and then works it's way out till you run out of ammo or targets in the range(which is half of the weapon's first range increment).
>>
>>55155667
>>>No.55116600
>(The post in the cap refers to a post made in the previous thread)
The person in that post was trying to come up with a way to make automatic weapons better. They are kinda of... not great. Certain ones can be very useful if the situation they shine in come up but otherwise they are sub-par. Especially the longarm laser ones which are ass.
>>
>>55155617
And very high humidity air
>>
>>55155568
Reverse Scuba suits or just a water filled space suit.
>>
I assume this is a very annoying and frequently asked question, but due to copyright reasons I can't imagine paizo would be very straightforward with this, so I feel like this thread would be the best place to ask:

tl;dr - Is Starfinder a Spelljammer clone, or a spiritual successor, or completely independent and unlike it?
>>
>>55157418
Actually I don't think I've seen it here before.
As for the answer... hm... I think that paizo would like to say spiritual successor, but I think most of us would say independent
>>
>>55157418
It's really not Spelljammer at all. It's got magic and ships, but they're not magic ships and the magic is toned down from the levels of a conventional fantasy setting. It's more like Star Wars, in that it's got magic in it and that magic can be very important, but it's also not really a requirement for anyone's day-to-day.
>>
File: Cargo Ships.jpg (37KB, 624x487px) Image search: [Google]
Cargo Ships.jpg
37KB, 624x487px
>>55147123
Alright, spaceboat anon, here's some basic research for modern shipping capacity.

First, modern cargo ships have very variable capacity; a lot of the measurements I'm finding are based on volume in twenty-foot equivalent units, and converting volumes into mass is very dependent on what they're storing. I'll go with wiki to establish some values - the standard TEU is 20x8x8.5 feet, for a final volume of 1360 cubic feet. Maximum mass for this is going to range from ~24 tons to ~27, if you ignore the mass of the container itself or not. With those numbers, we can now look at pic related and do some crunching.

The Triple E is a Gargantuan ship, and while it's not the highest capacity container ship model, it's close enough. ~18000 TEUs gives us a max of 486 kilotons, which is actually higher than the 55 kilotonne deadweight it's rated for. Maybe we could get away with that for a Triple E in space, though, since it doesn't have to float in water.

Working our way down to the limit of Huge, the Post Panamax Plus's 6-8k TEU gives us a range of 162-216 kilotons. Unfortunately, that's a category without a good example attached to it, so no info on deadweight. And moving down into the atmosphere with Large ships, right at the top of the chart at 137m - 449 feet - we've got a max capacity of 800 TEU, or 21.6 kilotons.

There's a lot to think about here, like whether the difficulties of making things move in space will limit capacity like buoyancy does in the ocean. And maybe I'm being dumb and someone will come along with a better way of thinking about TEUs. But what I'm getting from this is that if we really want to talk cargo bays and storage, we should be thinking in terms of either volume or kilotons for the upper limits.
>>
>>55155519
They're coming in March.
>>
>>55157677
Volume is a limiting factor for ships due to the fuel/displacement ratio. Space craft don't have to worry about any such thing - mass is the only limiting factor.

I think it's fair to assume fuel mass is a token thing here. In hard SF, the rocket equation rules everything; but for our flavor, remass is a small part of the ship to be topped off periodically and the reactor is what matters for acceleration etc.
>>
File: 1482873634439.jpg (472KB, 1920x1357px) Image search: [Google]
1482873634439.jpg
472KB, 1920x1357px
October will be upon us soon (After September so we have a while) What ideas for horror games do you have for Starfinder?
>>
have read the stuff yet...

what's the FTL solution in Starfinder?
>>
>>55159225

The Drift
It's an alternate dimension used to travel faster than light.

However it also occasionally sucks in other parts of different planes so all kinds of shit exists there as well.
>>
>>55158720
If we just discount fuel like that, then there's really no reason that huge or larger ships dedicated to it wouldn't match of even exceed those numbers. Acceleration might be bad, conceivably, but give them long enough and they'll get up to the same speeds. Large and under might be more constrained, since they can and presumably would want to be able to work in atmosphere.

>>55159225
>>55159276
Drift travel also depends primarily on how many Drift beacons are in an area, rather than actual distance to it; once you're heading out further than the edge of your current star system, it might be faster to travel halfway across the galaxy than to your nearest stellar neighbor, if the latter doesn't have many beacons.
>>
>>55159225
>>55159276

The idea of the "speed of light" is nonsensical in Starfinder in the first place.

What bothers me about Starfinder is its attempt at using real-world science as part of its sci-fi feel. The solarian and the solarian weapon crystals make mention of gravitons, photons, W-bosons, and gluons. Page 290 mentions "the hard limit of the speed of light."

However, as per page 470, the Inner Planes still exist, and thus the Material Plane's physical reality is built of a dance of positive energy, negative energy, air, earth, fire, and water. How do real-world, 21st century physics even begin to apply here?

In a multiverse comprised of building blocks of positive energy, negative energy, air, earth, fire, and water, by the time people reach the equivalent of 21st century physics (or even 20th century physics), physics and Inner Planar mystical theory would be one and the same.

Starfinder is trying to have it both ways in terms of "the basic building blocks of the Material Plane," and that results in something nigh incomprehensible.

If a setting has D&D-style Inner Planes (positive, negative, air, earth, fire, and water), that says something about the physics and chemistry of the setting.

Grass still burns, ice melts during a sunny day, and a rubber ball bounces on a hard surface, but these are the result of Inner Planar interactions rather than real-world physics and chemistry. In other words, the "on-screen" physical interactions work the same, but the "behind the scenes" scientific laws are totally different.

Gravitons, photons, W-bosons, gluons, and the speed of light are all "behind the scenes" scientific laws, and it takes a strong stretch to justify them in a multiverse wherein the "behind the scenes" scientific laws are already decided upon by Inner Planar metaphysics. These are two different sets of "behind the scenes" laws; it is foolish to try to blend them together.
>>
>>55159397

It could just be they are bad at coming up with sci-fi jargon. Nothing to think to hard about honestly.
>>
>>55159397

Page 470:
>Elemental Planes
>The Planes of Air, Earth, Fire, and Water are home to creatures and landscapes formed from their respective elements, often inhospitable to mortals. Within the planes, many different factions vie for control, from genies to minions of the elemental lords.

>Negative and Positive Energy Planes
>The Positive Energy Plane and its dark twin, the Negative Energy Plane, exist to create and destroy life, respectively. While the Negative Energy Plane drains life and creates strange mockeries of it (and is responsible for animating undead creatures), the Positive Energy Plane is no safer, as its pure vitality overwhelms and consumes mortal bodies.

Nothing suggests that the Inner Planes are anything but positive energy, negative energy, air, earth, fire, and water.

It *is* possible to have a space fantasy setting with D&D-style Inner Planes. That is what Spelljammer did, and it took the Inner Planar metaphysics to the hilt, down to having "air worlds" (gas giants), "earth worlds" (solid planets), "fire worlds" (suns), and "water worlds."

It is possible to have a setting with both high technology and high magic. Countless modern-day fantasy stories and "space opera with magic" stories show us that. What they do not do, however, is present contradictory explanations for how the basic physics of the world work.

What Paizo seems to be aiming for is "We want scientific concepts and physics-babble, because it is just not sci-fi without them... but we also want our Great-Wheel-expy cosmology, including the Inner Planes, for legacy purposes," which is the wrong way to go about it.
>>
>>55159397
>>55159436
Wait. Did this not get argued around here before? And again before that? And ignored each time and more because you didn't get an answer that you liked? Calm your tits about it and either ignore it or change it to fit what you think it should be. Homebrew rules exist for a reason.
>>
>>55159563
well hold on here.
we like tits.
>>
>>55159136
assuming the archive has something similar, a Aliens (xenomorph) type situation where they are trapped on a derelict ship with something that is picking off NPCs and potentially PCs as well due to it being more than likely a one shot
>>
>>55160645

I think there is a planet in the CRB that's sentient and will create stuff based on your emotions. Things like animals are fine because they don't exhibit complex emotions but people go insane or just straight dissappear because shit like your nightmares get incarnated by the planet

I guess an idea for a one shot would be either : A. you're the first explorers on the planet or B. You have to go rescue someone who went there.
>>
>>55159136
Crash land on a distant asteroid. At first the players think it's a race to get the ship back to operational status, but then the NPCs start to rise from the dead.
>>
>>55159136
A pathfinder-era full caster, locked in stasis, and treated as an SCP.
>>
File: tumblr_nfgr85vjd91st9asto9_1280.png (609KB, 1280x1216px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nfgr85vjd91st9asto9_1280.png
609KB, 1280x1216px
>>55159136

I want to introduce my own version of Deviljho except it's intelligent.

The PCs would be thrown onto an asteroid converted into a massive bio-dome with examples of various environments. Their goal is to survive and get from one side of the asteroid to the other picking up the gear from previous victims along the way while Superjho is hunting them
>>
>>55149741
Thanks for posting this. Good ideas.
>>
>>55151404
Yes, supposedly there is a Rifts and Shadowrun adaptation in the works by people at Paizo themselves.
>>
>>55159563
It's 2hu, who is an actual autistic moron who can't actually handle anything that would be called 'suspension of disbelief' and 'numbers<play'. Trying to explain anythign to him that he is having troublen with is not only useless, but a waste of your time. He literally cannot understand the concept that things might not be combat oriented and that there are game systems that optimiziation doesn't apply to.

>>55159397
>>55159436
>>
>>55161298
I think full casters are supposed to still be around as NPCs, it just they aren't prone to sharing their secrets and those secrets have been devalued some what by technological items. Frankly a low level full caster would be unimpressive in SF and mid level ones would only be "oh that's kind of neat" with out extensive spell list porting from all the various supplemental books. High level ones would still be very disruptive, though not necessarily godly.
>>
>>55159397
My issue with the Solarian is that the class sucks. Its like they made some imba gish class, then nerfed it by requiring the character to have some shit all control powers. Gravity is next to useless, and the "charge up" time is lame. Would be much better to have a balanced Solarian, and the gravity powers spun off into its own class.
>>
alright teej, it's been a while since i last played pathfinder, and my buddy wants to run a starfinder game, what are known trap options, so far? I've already concluded "pull the pin" to be practically worthless.
>>
>>55161666
>setting up enemies so your allies can attack them is useless
Okay.
>>
>>55161690
that's not what "pull the pin" is.
>>
>>55161666
Well Satan, you should avoid longarms with the automatic property, the solarian class(unless you take your first level as blitz soldier), Deadly Aim, Skill Focus and Skill Synergy for any skill your class gets a bonus to since it's all insight bonuses which don't stack, Grenades are overpriced, combat maneuvers in general are questionable, Sprayflesh sucks buy Potions of Cur- er SERUMS OF HEALING, sniper weapons a lack luster and Exocortex Mechanics and Envoys are only barely better than Operatives in their niche but aren't nearly as flexible.
>>
What would compel an Elf towards a life of high-intensity piracy, thuggery and general banditry?
>>
>>55161690
Misread it. And you're mostly right. It requires the GM to actually know and react to what the players might want to do. And most GMs don't do that apparently.
>>
>>55161827
>Longarms with the automatic property suck

Nani? What's wrong with the Magnetar?
>>
>>55161872
Well... the low level Magnetars hurt for their lack of range. Though Higher level ones are ok though. I was mostly thinking about how much the Autobeam rifles sucked and about how good the Heavy automatic weapons are.
>>
>>55162066
The X-gen guns to be specific are great. The Autobeam artillery is solidly 'meh'.
>>
>>55162117
What is an X-Gen gun supposed to be, anyway? Some sort of Gatling gun? It's a projectile weapon, but requires an external power source. Sounds like a high-energy railgun to me.
>>
>>55161570
Okay fine, a gestalt full caster exploiting the /maximum/ amount of cheese to become a teleporting, time-stopping, infinite-elemental-summoning shitlord.
>>
>>55162161
Pretty sure it's supposed to be a minigun with the 'generator' driving the motors for the ammo feed and barrel rotation.
>>
File: 1501728312763.webm (3MB, 1280x719px) Image search: [Google]
1501728312763.webm
3MB, 1280x719px
>>55161848
A powerful, insatiable need for penis.
>>
>>55162255
Ok, now THAT is SCP worthy.
>>
>>55161848
Greed? Desire to break free of the rigidity of elven society? The need to steal souls to feed to the soul eating demon-god they accidentally murder-orgied into existence? Boredom?
>>
File: Guns Guns Guns.png (252KB, 799x285px) Image search: [Google]
Guns Guns Guns.png
252KB, 799x285px
>>55162289
What did Paizo literally mean by this?
>>
>>55162161
Considering what it looks like and that it's automatic?

S'a machinegun m8
>>
>An ancient yet still popular vesk weapon, the reaction cannon uses advanced materials and technology

>Ancient
>Advanced

So uh.

Are Vesk some kind of precursor civilization that devolved technologically over time or what
>>
>>55162807
It's an old weapon concept updated with new technology, like saying the bow is an "ancient weapon using state-of-the-art materials."
>>
>>55162807
>it's a gunpowder cannon, probably a chopped down anti-material rifle or even light autocannon from a vehicle
>now use wacky inertia manipulation and magic to flip the recoil in the opposite direction and put it into the bullet

Double the energy, none of the recoil. I can see it.
>>
File: 1437429279597.jpg (97KB, 520x600px) Image search: [Google]
1437429279597.jpg
97KB, 520x600px
>>55162863
>now use wacky inertia manipulation and magic to flip the recoil in the opposite direction and put it into the bullet

That's retarded. Next we'll have a gun that shoots the whole bullet, for 60% more bullet per bullet.
>>
File: 1455649022289.jpg (85KB, 800x828px) Image search: [Google]
1455649022289.jpg
85KB, 800x828px
What if Cayden got so drunk he started calling himself Weydan?
>>
File: cave-johnson-portal-2-33.7.jpg (17KB, 210x240px) Image search: [Google]
cave-johnson-portal-2-33.7.jpg
17KB, 210x240px
>>55162883
I fail to see the problem here.
>>
>>55162883
>Shoot the whole bullet

Isn't that like

A railgun?

You're shooting the entirety of the thing loaded into the dun.
>>
>>55161856
even ignoring that much, it's still melee range, disarm check, and explodes at the end of your turn. So you either need spring attack, or need to start in melee range (in which case, the enemy choosing to throw a grenade seems low) so you can get the fuck out of there before you blow your own dick off.
>>
>>55161560
>He literally cannot understand the concept that things might not be combat oriented
Bullshit, wasn't he one of the proponents for "Hey guys shouldn't every class have a good split of combat/noncombat powers?"
>>
>>55163821
Sure, and then immediately made a hypocrite out of himself by posting his optimal all-combat builds as the best things that any given class is capable of.

What part of "autistic" did you not understand?
>>
>>55163873
>Sure, and then immediately made a hypocrite out of himself by posting his optimal all-combat builds as the best things that any given class is capable of.

I don't think I've ever seen a character build of his that isn't good at least a few skills of note.
>>
>>55163930
yeah, while they often give up defense and recovery for offense to a degree I find to no longer be optimal personally, the builds are usually quite capable at several utilities,etc.
>>
How important is it for a Mystic to have a starting score of 18?
>>
>>55164753
Having an 18 in your primary score on anyone is less important now than it is in Pathfinder. You can definitely get away 16s in any class.
>>
>>55164753
very important.
spell DCs are very hard in this game

dont listen to this faggot >>55164784
>>
>>55164991
Thats what I was afraid of. It seems that casters use dex for ranged magic attacks, so having a mix of spells (save and attack) is not optimal. Unless I am missing something.
>>
>>55157418
It COULD be either, because of The Gap. No one knows what happened during the Gap except by seeing the effects in the current age. Hints exist that the Gap was thousands of years in length. The early years could certainly have been Spelljammer, when magic had not yet been replaced in many areas by technology. At the same time, Golarion is not Greyhawk, the Forgotten Realms, or any of the other TSR settings, and the age of the Spelljammer may have been both a long time ago and so far away from Golarion that it, not those worlds, is the "sole" source of the old "fantasy" races.

Perhaps the Giff are out beyond the edge of explored space awaiting new hunts, or the bones of the Spelljammer itself rest on some world unrecognized.
>>
>>55165484
That's certainly one interpretation.

Another is that Paizo has no fucking clue what to do with the history, so they just left it as a blank to fill in later.
>>
>>55165634
They need some time to figure out how to make the entire galaxy revolve around fucking golarion.
>>
File: Drift Travel.png (64KB, 517x117px) Image search: [Google]
Drift Travel.png
64KB, 517x117px
>>55165650
>They need some time to figure out how to make the entire galaxy revolve around fucking golarion.

TOO LATE.
>>
>>55165650
>galaxy revolve around fucking golarion.
revolve around something that was deleted from existence? k
>>
>>55165754
Alderann was deleted from existence too, and look how many adventures THAT led to.
>>
>>55165634
>>55165650
Meh, whatever. Many long timetable SF settings have periods of less civilization. Dark Age, Age of Apostasy, Long Night, the Event, or The Gap, they all serve the same purpose: to bring mysterious ruins into play.

Starfinder does not appear to have Ancients or Forerunners per se. The Azlanti are much too recent for that role, much as they might argue the point. Plus, they are still around. Proper Forerunners are long extinct or so reclusive that they appear to be extinct, and therefore not around to hand over instruction manuals to their old toys.

The Gap provides a prior age that no one really knows much about. CAN you use it to fit the Spelljammer era into your campaign as old ruins? Sure. Must you? Certainly not. The CRB itself says the galaxy is vast, and the Spelljammer setting was, for all its apparent size, really tiny in the context of a galaxy.
>>
>>55165484
im pretty sure the gap was only a few hundred years
>>
>>55145195
>kitsune
dropped
>>
File: The Gap.jpg (78KB, 712x132px) Image search: [Google]
The Gap.jpg
78KB, 712x132px
>>55165896
Page 424, pulled from both columns
>>
>>55166001
>>55165484
It's basically exactly what the Solar Exalted did that led to everyone else realizing how close to bad-end they'd gotten and banding up to gank them all, except instead of some psycho raping spacetime with his dick until it broke, someone underwent 'the triggering' because of all those oppressive rape concepts like gravity and time which are both anti-women by making them old and saggy over time, inventions of the patriarchy as they are.

spacetime got raped, and then those responsible swept it all under the rug and said "not me!"
>>
>>55166065
Sure.

You run with that.

Somewhere else.
>>
>>55166065
This person (whose gender we shall not assume) has become a new write-person at Paizo.
>>
WTF is a melee soldier supposed to do for weapon upgrades? I got a 1d8 reach tactical pike at chargen, and it looks like I'll be waiting 4 levels to upgrade that into a 2d8 Devastation blade, wrack. The in-between options for advanced two handed melee don't seem worth the cost: curve blade gives up reach for +1 average damage, swoop hammer is also +1, but can't full attack due to unwieldy. am i supposed to diversify into guns? I maxed out str though, and i'm wearing heavy armor. melee seems not viable after level 1.
>>
>>55166937
Everyone is strapped for options after level 1-2 until 5-7 - you're clearly not expected to upgrade your weapon immediately. So save money for your first personal upgrade at level 3 instead, and get a gun for when you can't close to melee because this is a space game, and once in a while you won't be able to.

Melee is perfectly viable. That early level option void is something you'd be going through no matter what weapons you were looking at.
>>
>>55166937
Starfinder is a bit schitzo about combat. SF in most cases means guns are prevalent, and HTH is just a back-up. Starfinder seems to want to be that way while still providing options to both.
>>
File: spiral knights.jpg (281KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
spiral knights.jpg
281KB, 1920x1080px
I like the aesthetic of spiral knights and want to create a PC race based on them, what stats should i use
>>
http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2uizv?Space-combat-skill-DC-progression-issue#15

Starship.Combat DC's confirmed ruined by devs.
>>
File: Pyro_-_Spiral_Sallet.png (409KB, 750x779px) Image search: [Google]
Pyro_-_Spiral_Sallet.png
409KB, 750x779px
>>55167826
Ah, that game I only played for the TF2 promotional hat.
Maybe a Construct (Clockwork) of some sort? iirc the little guys ran on steam.
>>
>>55165915

I asked what people wanted made and that was the first answer, so it got picked.
>>
>>55167972
They do not. That was just the promotional helmet you got for inviting so many people.

>>55167826

Exactly what Isorans are is still unknown, but there's some things. They have teeth, pretty sure they have blood, they eat food, all that kinda stuff. They seem to be biological, in any case.

I actually did ponder this for pathfinder, but for starfinder...

They're a Small race. Probably 3-4 HP. Humanoid with the Isoran subtype.

For racial abilities... You could represent the Emergency Revive thing they all have in their suits with a 1/day Auto-stabilize/recover 1 HP without spending Resolve. Probably on the same turn like if you had Diehard. But yeah, did you know this isn't just a gameplay convention? When you fight Arkus, he Autorevives just like you do.

Probably have a fluff thing about how they don't take OFF those suits. Y'know, like Kasatha and their scarves.

Maybe also, they can substitute Craft (Alchemy) for any roll they make to craft stuff. From food to swords, Isorans make it all via alchemy.

Ability scores though, I don't know what I'd give 'em. They're a varied bunch. Probably just give 'em the variable +2 like Humans.

I might write this up in a doc. Y'know, for kicks.
>>
File: images.jpg (9KB, 355x142px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
9KB, 355x142px
WHEN'S GRAPPLER RULES
>>
>>55167936
yeah ship combat is fucked at higher levels

it's manageable now at level 1-2, hopefully they fix it soon before my players levels up

also had to double all starship damage because starship battles were taking too long
>>
File: eye roll.gif (1MB, 374x352px) Image search: [Google]
eye roll.gif
1MB, 374x352px
>>55140220
Trying to do an SCP type campaign and reading the classes. Fucking Icon... Celeb across pact worlds? So fucking dumb.
>>
>>55168591

Does feel like Weapon Spec should have gotten involved with ship guns in some way. Having a level 20 guy firing the gun should do more than the level 1 doing so if it works like that with most guns.
>>
>>55168624

Why? We have world famous celebrities right now. If you've got FTL communication, it could go a lot wider.
>>
File: but why.gif (4MB, 581x327px) Image search: [Google]
but why.gif
4MB, 581x327px
>>55168638
So they just go to each world and they are super famous and many people know them. Why the fuck even have them as PC? They sure as fuck aren't adventuring for notoriety, because they have it already.

Every time I do a scene and people don't know who they are, "WOULDN'T THEY RECOGNIZE ME?!?!". So moronic.
>>
>>55168649
Icon doesn't have to mean a MAJOR celebrity. Tons of people don't know who PewDiePie is, but I'd still call him an Icon theme.
>>
>>55168625
Weapon Spec would definitely help. Any kind of static bonus would, I've been thinking about adding some in the later levels.

It's just sad when the entire team plays their roles perfectly in a starship round only for the outcome to be 1 to 4 damage to the enemy ship due to bad damage rolls.
>>
>>55168677
It's going to make me look like shit when they roll for that and I'm have to raise the DC constantly and they never get it.

The only possible saving grace is the out-of-context thing.
>>
File: 1283318890017.jpg (36KB, 180x200px) Image search: [Google]
1283318890017.jpg
36KB, 180x200px
>>55168689
"Hey, guys! I'm a celebrity artists or whatever the fuck and everyone in my field knows me. Can I travel with you?"
No, because we don't want to end up in a situation where people can recognize you all the time, then you get a bounty or become wanted and you're a gigantic beacon.
>>
>>55168649
>>55168624

agreed it's dumb as hell, a general blanket statement like "everyone can recognize you" cheapens the game so much.

i tell my players wanting to play envoy that certain worlds and individuals will just straight up not recognize them (w/ DM discretion)
>>
File: ha laugh alex valle.png (203KB, 281x326px) Image search: [Google]
ha laugh alex valle.png
203KB, 281x326px
>>55168730
I can just hear it. Some guy trying to get everyone in the fucking known world (wherever it may be) to fucking recognize them. Trying to get you to roll for key figures in your campaign to know them or some shit.

And if you smite them down at every turn for shit like that or trying to get a discount from some store owner a million times, YOU are going to look like the shit head for not letting them 'play their character'. I mean, at least with the charisma checks in d&d, it seemed people would get the point after getting denied every so often, but Bards and other classes that used high charisma typically weren't 'Loads of people should know you across many worlds' and has discounts in their class descriptions. lol
>>
>>55168761
Of course you allow them to play their character when it's reasonable. Can't count out their theme completely.

I'm just saying a planet on the edge of the galaxy might not recognize them, even if the NPC theoretically should have enough Culture Check.

The Envoy theme is unfortunately badly written, much like most of the book.
>>
>>55168730
>>55168761
Are you people for real?

All the fun things you can do to make their autoimatic recognition as much of a liability as a benefit? How about when they get mobbed by fans while the other players get to go find useful information? How about the idea that their recognition in one particular sphere of influence is not seen as a good thing, but they're considered a dangerous and unpleasant person whose ideas and shows are not only disruptive, but against the law. Congrats, you have local security watching your party's every move. How about when the opposite sex starts seducing their fellow party members becsause they think they can get close to the character, only rto actually fall for the character they are seducing because he's a nicer person than the so called icon? How about when the nery scientists and researchers completely ignore the icon because the mechanic is a famous fogure for his work on combat drones and they have zero interest in the icon's reputation or shows?

the opportunities are endless and not necessarily all good, and it's a ready made bait and switch that can be used to focus spotlights on the other players as well.
>>
>>55168677
i would treat twitch and youtube celebs like shit if i ever met them in RL

fuck being friendly or giving them free stuff
>>
File: seriously4.png (22KB, 804x743px) Image search: [Google]
seriously4.png
22KB, 804x743px
>>55168804
>Are you people for real?
You're not letting him play his character, you're punishing him for picking Icon, you're making his whole theme a negative out of spite.

I already mentioned this earlier. It presents a whole new problem.

Your ideas aren't bad, though. I think I may have mentioned one or two of them already. Mostly the "smiting them down" was an umbrella for a couple of things you mentioned.
>>
>>55168835
>You're not letting him play his character, you're punishing him for picking Icon, you're making his whole theme a negative out of spite.

I indicated this as shit they would say as PC's. Not my opinion on the matter.
>>
>>55168804
did you read what i wrote? i have a problem with everyone with an Int of 10 in the galaxy just magically knowing them

that said, ive already devised a few ways our envoy's popularity might turn against her, like nude pics of her ankles appearing online
>>
File: Ghandi.jpg (896KB, 1089x700px) Image search: [Google]
Ghandi.jpg
896KB, 1089x700px
>>55168820
Can you imagine? You're on some fringe world where the only law is your captain back up on the ship in orbit...

Suddenly you realize you're in arm's reach of motherfucking pewdiepie.
>>
>>55168846
>did you read what i wrote? i have a problem with everyone with an Int of 10 in the galaxy just magically knowing them

I agree with this as well. The theme is like some weird 'everyone has an off-chance of recognizing you' or a BETTER chance of recognizing you from name alone. It's clearly some shit where you're known by a shit ton of people, I mean, in later levels you can hold a fucking press conference. Granted, this is level 18 when that happens.
>>
>>55168858
I ask him what he's doing here and tell him that infospheretube Icons really shouldn't be in space missions to fringe worlds
>>
>>55168921
Suit yourself, my daughter thought he was hilarious and wouldn't wear headphones. I have a chainsaw, and I would save the news of what I've done to eliminate the dreaded 'headache' the next time my wife has one.
>>
>>55168835
You're misinterpreting. The point is that it can be used for both good and bad, not just the good the player wants it to be used for. for that matter, you can do similar things with every theme:
The Ace Pilot will have notoriety among pilots, his escapades famous across difficult to navigate systems, how he can plot a course through the drift despite the crystals, and there will be people who know his reputations seeking him as a teacher, a rival, or a fellow pilot.
Bounty hunter: Boba Fett is a prime example of the good and bad of the theme. He had the second in command of a galactic empire personally warn him, "No disinitgrations!"
Outlaw: the good and the bad writes itself here too.

A little imagination would be nice to see in ./tg/ again.

>>55168846
Even idiots know the Captains of the Entrerpise. You have to go to third world countries to find people who don't know what Star Trek is whether they like it or not.
>>
>>55168979
That just plays to what people were saying earlier about knowing that particular individual without being a fan of them in that field. It's pretty clear that with the way it's written that people that aren't particular fans or other people in that field would know them. They clearly have a notoriety that goes beyond that, it's not so much about forcing them to work or making other themes equally has known. We're commenting about how it is written and what the RAI is.
>>
>>55168979
you'd be surprised how many people there are even in the US who know nothing about the captains of Star Trek and these are smart people who definitely have a skill point in Culture, there's just too many varieties of people out there for such a blanket statement

im not discounting the icon theme completely, i think it's a nice idea, but it's still badly written, as it's written anyone with a skill point in Culture can recognize your name by taking a 10 at lvl.6

>you have to go to third world countries
exactly my point, and we're talking planetary systems here

i dont care how popular you think you are at lvl.6, the residents living in a far-off ice planet on the other side of the galaxy does not recognize you
>>
>>55169033
Mostly I'm having trouble with the fact that I want to do and SCP type campaign or something serious and I'm just not sure that the class is in here nor the icon class really matches that and maybe this particular tabletop RPG just isn't for me
>>
>>55168953
don't get me wrong, id request planetary bombardment after telling him that
>>
File: 442.jpg (174KB, 1094x731px) Image search: [Google]
442.jpg
174KB, 1094x731px
>>55169050

honestly for an SCP type campaign, you'd be better off making custom campaign themes for them to choose from much like campaign traits in PF
>>
>>55169072
I don't know about these campaign traits. Are they just in the Pathfinder core rulebook or what?
>>
I'm not going to try and find the genesis of that chain of thought but people are stupid. Icon isn't just a space youtube star it could be that you are well known in a particular community that your character works in. Hell, they even give an example in the fucking book with the kasatha envoy as a negoitator.. So your "celeb" status could be you are well known in corporate circles for the work you do and going to some megacorp on bum fuck planet could get you some things because you may or may not have had history with them before.

But as always autism speaks and it is loud.
>>
>>55169117
nu/tg/ is fucked up.
>>
>>55169084
nah campaign traits are at the first book of their Adventure Path modules or the corresponding Player's Guide

example:

here are the campaign traits for Rise of the Runelords
https://cp-rise-of-the-runelords.obsidianportal.com/wikis/rotrl-campaign-trait

Players choose one during character creation and they all have something to do with the campaign

In SF, Paizo removed Traits and replaced them with Themes. I suggest you take out the themes you don't want and add in some custom themes of your own.
>>
>>55169117

>But as always autism speaks and it is loud.

Honestly, this doesn't even feel like Autism. I mean, I'm plenty autistic (I have a paper and everything) and I'm capable of understanding What The Book Says. It's not like there is some subtext about Icon I'm missing, it's all there in text.
>>
>>55169117
you're right, but players will always try to find a way to insist that their special snowflake envoy should get special attention because that's what the book says
>>
>>55169134

Well 'Getting attention' is literally the point of the theme. Even at higher levels it's not certain (It's DC 10, not 0).

The thing I find weird: The default DCs get harder to spot you as you level. For some reason being a hero of a dozen campaigns against demons makes you harder to recognise on the street than when you'd started.
>>
>>55169133
>>55169134

I mean, having the space youtube thing is fine as long as people don't go overeboard (which they inevitably will) but the point to get across is you're just well known individual in an industry and thus can leverage favors because of it as long as the conditions are good.
>>
>>55169146
I'm not saying they shouldn't play their theme, I'm just saying I'm reserving DM fiat to who and who can't recognize them despite RAW.

theme's already been FAQ'd - http://paizo.com/starfinder/faq#v5748eaic9vwi

it should decrease instead of increase
>>
>>55169117

What are you even talking about? Are you reading the same posts? You're clearly the autistic one here posting a rambling rant against "people". No one is saying they can only be space youtube stars.

YOUR autism is speaking louder than anyone here.
>>
>>55169174

Not that part of it. I mean the base DC to learn public information about non-icons. They are <Base> + CR. So a level 20 guy is a lot harder to recognise than a level 1 guy.

Here we have the Princess of Importia, a level 20 Envoy. She is DC 25 (A public figure of level 20) diplomacy to learn what the average person knows about her. Most people of her own planet won't be able to recognise her on sight.
>>
>>55169223
I think you're confusing Gather Information with name recognition.

The <Base> + CR is to find out specific information on Princess Importia. It makes sense that a high CR person would have better guarded secrets.

Common Facts / Rumors is always 10. Who the princess is and the fact that she's royalty should be common knowledge.
>>
I am trying to figure out an optimal "good at starship fighting" build for four 2nd-level PCs' tier 2 starship. So far, I have the following:

Budget of 75 BP:
• 6 BP: Base Frame: Shuttle
• 12 BP: Power Core: Pulse Black, PCU budget 120
• 6 BP: Thrusters: S12 Thrusters, PCU consumption 60
• 6 BP: Armor: Mk 3 armor
• 0 BP: Computer: Basic computer
• 0 BP: Crew Quarters: Common
• 4 BP: Defensive Countermeasures: Mk 3 defenses, PCU consumption 2
• 4 BP: Drift Engine: Signal Basic
• 6 BP: Sensors: Budget long-range
• 25 BP: Weapons: Linked coilguns on extra turret mounts, PCU consumption 20
• 6 BP: Shields: Light Shields 50, PCU consumption 20

The idea here is to use the long-range sensors to keep track of enemies from as far a distance as possible, then use the long-range the linked coilgun turrets (just like the Vindicas Tyrant) to attack from long range for 8d4 damage (average 20). Since they act as one weapon, the gunner can fire both of them using the Shoot action, thus avoiding the -4 attack penalty of Fire at Will. Since turrets can fire in any arc, the ship has the freedom to attack just about anything.

S12 thrusters let the ship kite for as long as possible as it flies away, and remember, the linked turrets can fire in any arc, which will surely annoy enemy ships giving chase. Small size and as cost-effective an array of defensive options as possible ensure that the ship can stay alive.

As needed, even without a science officer around, you can turn the ship to have its strongest shields receive attacks, since the turrets make facing much less important for you.

By 3rd level, the ship can afford some luxurious quarters and some expansion bays to make life nicer, but 2nd-level PCs will have to deal with it.

How can this 75 BP build for the ship be improved? I have an inkling that this is actually the best possible build for low-tier starships, since it relies on the cheese that is long-distance kiting. Does such a hunch hold any water?
>>
>>55159136
I'm going to find a way to marry the Thing and the Beast from Homeworld Cataclysm.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nDcELUCroDs
>>
>>55169296
Shuttles are shit at combat because small craft can't equip heavy weapons.
>>
>>55169733
Level 2, though.

They'll want to upgrade to an explorer by about 4th but at 2nd the engine, core and base frame actually add up to a bit too much unless it's a pure combat vessel with unused expansions and like, ONE particle beam turret instead of armor/ECM
>>
File: 81b7ee38b5fb936bf5a67f1631db7ab2.jpg (447KB, 1300x764px) Image search: [Google]
81b7ee38b5fb936bf5a67f1631db7ab2.jpg
447KB, 1300x764px
>>55169733
>>55169852

Heavy weapons are out of the metaphorical question at 2nd-level anyway, due to their very high BP costs and PCU consumption.
>>
>>55169647
there was an old 80's movie called Virus that did this.
>>
>>55169893
Oh you could definitely fit a twin-laser on there for cheaper than twin-linked coilguns:
5 for a second turret slot, 6 per coilgun, 3 for linkage = 20, and eats 20PCU
Twin-Laser: upgrade turret 6, 12 for the laser, eats 15 PCU. 22.5 average damage to the twin coils 20.
>>
File: vulgar.jpg (102KB, 377x399px) Image search: [Google]
vulgar.jpg
102KB, 377x399px
>>55169647
Fuck you and your infection beams.
>>
>>55169945
I'm going to assume you mean the 1999 Virus. Where alien code played legos with machine and human parts.

Not sure if that really fits, but it's definitely a start. I intend for this thing to be really grotesque.
>>
File: b1d3.jpg (98KB, 1229x922px) Image search: [Google]
b1d3.jpg
98KB, 1229x922px
>>55170085
Consider the Bydo, then. They tend to turn everything into womb-levels just by touching it.
>>
>>55169947

You are also paying more for a Medium frame, armor, and a Drift engine. Your AC and TL will likewise be worse.

Perhaps at a later level, you should consider a Medium ship, but at 2nd, stick to the Small.
>>
File: wf2009summer_b14-04_05.jpg (46KB, 300x400px) Image search: [Google]
wf2009summer_b14-04_05.jpg
46KB, 300x400px
>>55170134
>>
File: 1456433339183.jpg (307KB, 1128x798px) Image search: [Google]
1456433339183.jpg
307KB, 1128x798px
How compelling would you guys find a campaign where the party are part of a terraforming mission funded by AbadarCorp to a viable system in the Vast... And it turns out that's exactly what it is? No universal threat, no ancient evil, no insidious empire. You'd tango with the Aspis Consortium from time to time and plenty from the local wildlife, but ultimately it's you doing a job.
>>
>>55170192
I would atleast like to find some ancient alien relics.
>>
>>55170192
Would only be good if you had some strong roleplayers.
Even then, you might want to throw in some kind of hook for a future game after they finish the job.
Mundanity like that is a nice change of pace, but it gets old really quickly.
>>
>>55170192
Honestly, it sounds as boring as book 1 of Skull & Shackles. People come to these games to escape the drudgery of their daily lives, not to recreate it.
>>
>>55170192
atleast put some dangerous wildlife, some ape-like beasts that're able to live in the planet and the party has to deal with them

and it turns out it was Earth all along
>>
File: vadim-sadovski-j45.jpg (187KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
vadim-sadovski-j45.jpg
187KB, 1920x1200px
>>55170192
i think that would be awesome. theres tons of stuff that can happen on a terraforming mission.
>ancient evil relics hidden in deep bunkers and caves
>ancient technology in ruined overgrown cities, gone wonky
>giant wildlife eating the workers and you have to track it down to it lair and kill it or trap it somehow. ever see the ghost in the darkness? like that.
>pirates
>hostile primitive natives/cannibals. avatar style. maybe the survivors of the ruined cites
i was gonna make an entire setting based on the concept of colonizing a world. inspired by civilization: beyond earth, avatar, wildstar, and interstellar. multiple factions of humans doing a "race for africa/colonization of the new world" in space. dealing with multiple races of primitive but crazy strong/tough natives
>>
File: 1503698431219.gif (189KB, 864x1064px) Image search: [Google]
1503698431219.gif
189KB, 864x1064px
>>55170973
This is all sounding a lot like "Made in Abyss"

And I'm okay with that
>>
>>55168649
>>55168730
>>55168761
>>55169033
Just run it like Peter Quill AKA "Star Lord" in that at low levels nobody knows them except their "target audience" and people who interact closely with that audience, but when they get the reduced DC's everyone knows them. Also not everyone needs to even roll the "culture" check, because that is not forced for NPC's. What if they don't give a shit who the icon is? If they rolled, they might realize, but they aren't necessarily going to roll. Why do you think Peter Quill introduces himself with "I'm Starlord, haven't you heard of me?" It's in an effort to trick them into rolling a culture check so they know who he is.
>>
>>55172878
Who?
>>
>>55170533
>>55170693
>>55170702
>>55170811
>>55170973
>>55172238
I figure this campaign would be starting at level 3-5? You're a trained crew on one of the Corp's more renowned vessels.
>>
>>55173742
That sounds like level inflation desu. A trained person is level 1.
>>
File: file.png (445KB, 564x797px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
445KB, 564x797px
So, i would like to play a mech soldier, as android, but it's not really an android, more like a robot, what do you guys think?

I love this kind of robot...
>>
>>55173699
I giggled.
>>
>>55174155
Honestly I'm not feeling Paizo Androids at all. I'm probably going to replace them entirely with PSO style CASTs.

They've gotta be sufficiently robotic to be interesting, otherwise they're just humans with circuit tattoos. Even anime androids tend to be at least slightly more involved than that.
>>
>>55174155
You could totally do that and nothing bad would happen, the Android is one fluff change away from being true robots anyway.

That said, a robot PC race should be coming this October; the Alien Archive - over 300 pages of content - is hitting shelves that month, and a quarter of those entries are playable PC races.

I'm willing to bet Aballonians, who are robots, will be among them.
>>
You can safely get away with only 10 Con now, right? It's not as mandatory to have it be 12-14 minimum at 1? Trying to decide whether I want 12 Con/Cha or 10 Con 14 Cha on a halfling Operative. Already have 18 Dex and 14 Int, since I'm assuming my group is planning on running at least 11 PB.
>>
File: sv_098.jpg (122KB, 600x927px) Image search: [Google]
sv_098.jpg
122KB, 600x927px
>>55174740
They make more sense as bioroids than androids anyways. If you've ever read Appleseed (not seen the goddamn animes) or Black Magic M-66, Bioroids are much, much more interesting as a race than what Paizo's specced them as.
>>
>>55174801
Don't listen to /tg/. They can only steer you wrong.
>>
>>55174801
As long as your Key ability is good and your GM isn't a dick you will have more than enough survivability. Though I would suggest putting atleast one or two level up stat increases into Con down the road.
>>
>>55174879

Raelians are also a good example as they are sufficiently mechanical enough you can override their minds as seen in the first Xenosaga game (which Vergil forced the Military Realians to swarm and self-destruct on a Gnosis)

Really, a name change should be enough and everything else can remain the same. I see no reason why Androids have to be the same as PF androids especially since now they can and are made by regular people rather than mysterious forges.
>>
>>55174958
I don't know how long of a game the group plans on going for, but I figured I'd be bumping Con regardless when we hit 5, since we're starting at 3.
>>
>>55174740
>Honestly I'm not feeling Paizo Androids at all.
>They've gotta be sufficiently robotic
>androids
>robotic
you are aware that the definition of an android is a robot in human form? i know that /tg/ is full of mouth breathing niggers, but holy fuck.
>>
>>55161827

Wait, why is deadly aim back, insufficient damage scaling or attack being more important nowadays?
>>
>>55170192

Eh, try to spice things up with discovery and local challenges, Kingmaker-style.
>>
>>55175520
>insufficient damage scaling or attack being more important nowadays?
Both, every one gets Weapon Specialization for free in weapons their class has proficiency with that give a damage bonus equal to your level with no penalty, weapons have better damage scaling on their own and attack bonus are much much MUCH harder to come by in SF.
>>
>>55175574

Ok, is really bad or just not nearly as good as before?
>>
>>55175550
>Terraforming operation
>Not having exploration and local issues
>>
>>55175520
>>55175574
>>55175594

Wait, are you telling me that Deadly Aim's not the end-all-be-all it is from Parhfinder?
>>
>>55175594
It's an iffy one. If you are a full BaB character and there is some one in the party reliably buffing your attacks, debuffing enemy AC or preferably both it can be worth it. But on it's own with how enemy AC scales based on CR and the lack of attack bonuses it's likely to hurt you as much as help you in most cases.
>>
>>55175574
pistols get half lvl dmge, remember
>>
File: 1399920647810.gif (3MB, 550x310px) Image search: [Google]
1399920647810.gif
3MB, 550x310px
>>55175473
Alright captain reading comprehension, if we take the definition of robotic as to mean "having the traits of a robot" and consider an android that has the trait of being some relative quantity similar or dissimilar to a robot.

What exactly is an android that is not sufficiently robotic? It's an android that does not appear, act or function like a robot in a significant fashion.

Because unless you have some Phillip K Dick sucking story that requires it, if androids are just like humans what is the fucking point?
>>
>>55175783
True, but classes that rely on pistols for their main weapon tend to have 3/4 BaB so can't really afford that -2 to attack and Deadly Aim scales at 1/2 BaB.
>>
>>55175935
Fucking Stalker.
>>
>>55165915
Too bad, they're really good conversions.
>>
>>55145195
Why create conversions for elves and halflings when they're in the book?
>>
>>55176509

The halfling thing is entirely alternate racial traits. The Elf thing was a few people were expressing dissatisfaction with the fact that elves are basically just weaker androids (And in desperate need of alternate racial traits as they have spellcasting racial features when most classes can't cast spells.)
>>
>>55177177
Mystic and Technomancer are pretty potent by themselves, and it would make sense for elves to be heavily into both. jIt would be a safe bet to presume there would be a huge variety of mystics with different flavors of spellcasting in their new homogenized magic style.
>>
>>55177260

It does, however, seriously pidgeonhole them as a race since there is only 2 spellcasting classes. The elven ranger is as iconic (If not moreso) than the elven mage. Hence alternate racial traits to give non-spellcasting elves a bone.
>>
>>55177334
Good point.
>>
>>55177334
Dex to damage seems like it would be kind of a bad idea, given how that's not something anyone else can get normally. It doesn't even make weapons operative-able, so it seems kind of odd.
>>
>>55177334
I hope I get to play with those modifications!
>>
>>55175935
The point is that Paizo Androids are not constrained by the arbitrary gender roles of oppressive societies. Furthermore Androids have been discriminated against their entire lives while the rest of the galaxy blissfully wallows in organic privilege, whilst relegating machine-forms to a lower social status. So in the future, maybe you need to check yourself before you start condescendingly dismissing Androids with your anthronormative prejudice.
>>
File: Bait The Visual Novel.jpg (105KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
Bait The Visual Novel.jpg
105KB, 800x600px
>>55177393
>>
File: wallpaper-1721508.jpg (369KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
wallpaper-1721508.jpg
369KB, 1600x1200px
>>55177334

Well, to be honest, there aren't that many classes at the time. Elves make decent operatives,which is kinda close to a ranger. Hopefully, with more archetypes, classes and racial traits, there would be something more fitting.

As an aside, I always wondered why a race famous for living close to nature and routinely roughing it out in forests has a penalty to constitution and a bonus to intelligence rather than wisdom.

BTW, I really hope that there will be something good for solarites by the time drow come as a playable race. The solarite light & darkness aesthetic could look awesome on drow. Imagine one with this kind of armor.
>>
>>55177413
It's.... not far off from how they are written.
>>
>>55177362

Actually, the intention was expressly not to make them operative-able. As Operative sorta falls victim to it's own power. They are very, very tightly limited in weapons (Hence while proficient in sniper rifles they can't use them worth a damn and why there are no operative advanced melee weapons) because if they got Longarms/Advanced Melee Weapons they would start to blow away soldiers. That's a lot of the reason for the only 1/2 weapon spec to damage on operative weapons and pistols.

It's designed more for 'You want to be an elf soldier/solarian' than operatives.

Also: God dammit, I just realised I posted my old version there. I ended up scrapping a bit of the stuff for balance considerations like dex to damage. (And, frankly, to tie into something else I was working on with the weapons up there).

>>55177442

Because Elves are like 3 different things at once and the race tries to please them all. It's why D&D 4e went 'Fuck it, here are Elves and here are Eladrin. They are related races but one does nature and one does arcana'.
>>
>>55177466

Though dressed up in language to make it bait. A simpler and better way to say it is 'As a species that doesn't reproduce sexually, they don't really have gender roles and they are still suffering the aftereffects of having been a slave race for quite some time'
>>
New Thread
>>55177577
>>55177577
>>55177577
>>
>>55177554
As the master-baiter in question, it is my opinion that while your way of saying it may be "simple and better", it is NOT the Paizo-esque way of stating things.
>>
>>55177554
Either works, but only a very insecure person would object to the book's wording.

Personally, my objections lie with how underwritten it is. The write-up for the Warforged in Races of Eberron is much more interesting, and hits many of the same points, being that they're both constructed genderless people that, until recently, weren't really considered alive. Eberron is more interesting, because of course it is, but also because it puts that in the context of Warforged having been freed two years ago. 150 years free? That's a bit weak if you wanted to play Django Unplugged.
>>
>>55177521

Fair enough, I think subraces from 3.5 were not a bad thing. You've got your nature elves and your crystal spire elves, your miner dwarves and your merchant clan dwarves. Pathfinder got a bit scared to do that, I think. Starfinder made a baby step with the gnomes and the lashunta, having subraces, so we will see how this goes. To be honest so far they have had all elves be the paranoid xenophobic mage types, but they had limited page count for the core book. The thing is already huge.
>>
>>55177393
Yes, few things are as oppressive as being born with bits that are fun to play with and that have certain biological functions when combined.
>>
>>55177664
the dumbest fucking thing is paizo clinging to "if we make subraces, then they're NOT REALLY x thing anymore!", even though everyone seems to like races with "variant heritages".
>>
>>55148366
Needler and Needle rifle fit the weapons. As for the medic/doc/chemist, you can easily do that. I'm running a soldier that's a combat medic. For what you are talking about I would roll an operative (more skill points) and take medicine, physical science and life science. Those skills let you do everything you need including making your poisons and meds. Then take the feat Medical Expert so you can treat deadly wounds as a full round action instead of taking minutes, this lets you patch up team mates in combat. Beyond that, take engineering so you can manufacture cybernetics and computers so you can do silly shit with that.

Mad doctor inbound, hell you could even play as Dr. Moreau and try to hybridize the sentient species with some of the weird monsters in the game. I'd start with mixing shit with goblins since no one cares about goblins.
>>
>>55148366
Forgot to mention the injection glove. Shit is silly and you can have one on each of your hands.
>>
>>55159136
Convert mimics from pathfinder, make everything a mimic, including small starships in docks, doorways, etc. Prey the RPG.
>>
>>55175935
>What exactly is an android that is not sufficiently robotic? It's an android that does not appear, act or function like a robot in a significant fashion.
If you haven't seen the Alien movies, you really shouldn't be doing space. Alien is a primal source for Starfinder's Androids, as strong as Shirow or BGC..
>>
>>55177334
>since there is only 2 spellcasting classes
The Minor Caster feats might make some sense in this case, as long as you are building a character and not just a set of combat numbers.
>>
>>55179492
>as long as you are building a character and not just a set of combat numbers.

What does that even mean?

And even then, it's not a good racial feature. It only boosts when trying to beat Spell Resistance. Minor Caster feats give you very, very low level spells you won't likely be throwing at creatures with spell resistance.
Thread posts: 333
Thread images: 69

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.