[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ Fifth Edition General:

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 380
Thread images: 46

>Unearthed Arcana: Three-Pillar Experience
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-ThreePillarXP.pdf

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Trove:
https://dnd.rem.uz/5e%20D%26D%20Books/

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread:
>>55040936

What's the best way to handle problematic topics such as sexism and colonialism in DnD? Some of my players prefer not to encounter it, but to some whitewashing history and ignoring struggles of opressed peoples is insulting and demeaning. What's your opinion?
>>
>>55046057

I come to tackle grandiose social issues in my make believe tabletop game filled with rape frogs
>>
It's a fictional world. But if your players don't like pretend sexism I'm surprised they don't like pretend violence.
>>
>>55046099
Americans love pretend violence and hate pretend sex. I'm told Europe is the opposite.
>>
>Magic items aren't an expectation in 5e's design
>martials literally can't deal unresisted damage to higher-level monsters without magic items

realy dinks ur dink
>>
>>55046057
Talk with your group
>>
>>55046135
Monks can
>>
>>55046057
I have a part of my homebrew world that is sand/desert. Its inhabited by mostly black people. I've had black pc's who have played and never heard anything about it.

But that could just be the age group I'm playing with, we're all in our late 20s.

I guess if someone had an issue with it I'd probably talk to them outside of the game and maybe explain more about and such.

Don't know what to do about the sexism part.
>>
>>55046135
>Magic items aren't an expectation in 5e's design
I want this meme to die. Nobody runs a campaign without magic items. Official campaigns are filled with them too. But they can't be just bought in a marketplace like in 3.5, and you are in no way entitled to those Bracers of Defense that you want.
>>
>>55046135
EK can.
>>
>>55046165
No, bringing up magical items into any discussion means you lose automatically. There's no GUARANTEE that you'll have a +1 weapon at level 10. Maybe your DM will be bad and give you one, but probably not.
>>
File: knightphone.jpg (122KB, 800x806px) Image search: [Google]
knightphone.jpg
122KB, 800x806px
>>55045827
>It's generic and trite
The only thing generic and trite are the criticisms of FR here. They're always the same and they're always wrong.
>ugh all my campaigns are set in the blandest area of the Sword Coast and we treat every nation there like it's medieval England, why is this setting so BOOOORING

Forgotten Realms is a kitchen sink setting. It's got just about fucking everything. If you want something interesting, you just have to go to that area of the world. Don't get a bug up your ass about everywhere being standard medieval English fantasy if you're just chilling out in Cormyr.

Go fight the barbarian horselords of the Utter East and uncover ancient Gauntlet-style monster spawners that pump out golems made of blood.

Deal with political intrigue in the evil magocracy of Thay, where slaves and skeletons labor side-by-side on the street, across from crazy religious fundamentalists who DON'T like undead but DO like burning everyone.

Experience the bleakest "shit fantasy" of the Bloodstone Lands, where farming doesn't work, everything is a half-frozen marsh, everyone is an asshole, and you'll be eaten by five skeletons and eight worgs if you set foot outside of the thatch hut hommlet at night.

Deal with rabid isolationist forest Elves, rebellious lobstermen, and murderous crystals on the coasts of the Vilhon Reach, amidst the ruins of an ancient Psychic Roman Empire.

Wanna play Eberron? Halruua.

Wanna play Turok? Chult.

Wanna play Red Steel? Maztica.

Wanna play Dark Sun or Aladdin? Anauroch, Al-Qadim, or Calimshan.

Wanna play weeaboo nonsense or Romance of the Three Kingdoms? Various parts of Kara-Tur depending upon your preferred Asian persuasion.

Travel between the Spine of the World and the Plains of Purple Dust to uncover the origins of the Orcish race and reopen the farportals to usher in more of their kind or wage war upon another fucking planet.

Chat up the King of Tethyr and be invited to his palace ON THE FUCKING MOON.
>>
>>55046057

If you're glorifying them they might have a point.

If you're using them as historical or ways to show villainy, then your players need to man the fuck up and stop being whiny bitches.
>>
>>55046057
Personally? In the real world, I think that confronting these issues is very important. We can and should strive to better ourselves and our society constantly, and people who work against that - the KKK, neo-Nazis, the alt-right, and anyone who would willingly stand beside or speak positively either of those in an attempt to court their favor without regard for how (or, worse, precisely because it does) lend their causes legitimacy - should be treated as what they are: regressive at best, throwbacks at worst.

But at the table? This is a game, dude, I play games for escapism, so I don't want politics at the table - in either direction. DMs and players shouldn't use the game as their personal soapbox. Anything about a character should be thought up and taken simply at face value, and not as a statement. Everything should be seen in the context of the game, not reality.

For example, if I roll up a bisexual character, the concern should be "you just want to be able to seduce everyone you come across, you metagaming asshole", not "you're trying to make some kind of statement about social equality."
>>
File: Bait1.png (66KB, 625x626px) Image search: [Google]
Bait1.png
66KB, 625x626px
>>55046184
>>
>>55046057
>but to some whitewashing history and ignoring struggles of opressed peoples is insulting and demeaning.
unless your setting takes place on earth, that argument isn't valid, as there is no "history" to whitewash. It's a fictional world full of fictional people.
>>
>people fall for the bait question in OP
fools, all of you
>>
>>55046135
That's only a problem if you're running into higher-level monsters that have damage resistance or immunity to nonmagical weapons. You might not be.

The statement is meant to be taken as "the math of the game does not innately require magic the way previous editions of D&D did", not "it's totally reasonable to expect an all-fighter, no-magic party to be able to defeat the Tarrasque."
>>
>>55046057
>What's the best way to handle problematic topics such as sexism and colonialism in DnD?

Just run with it. A few sessions ago I had my players discover a brothel full of kids. This immediately made one of them walk out, but two more left when they discovered this was just one of a larger ring of human traffickers.

Anyone that gets upset by these topics can't differentiate reality from fiction and you shouldn't associate, let alone play D&D, with them.
>>
File: thinking reg.jpg (106KB, 682x728px) Image search: [Google]
thinking reg.jpg
106KB, 682x728px
>>55046232
>I ran my players out and you should too
>>
>>55046232
You lost three players because of this?
>>
>>55046232

Depends on how it was done, if it's seen as "Normal" in the setting I'd have a problem

if it's seen as a reprehensible act in the setting like it is in real life, I like it because it makes me hate the bad guys more.
>>
>>55046232
First of all let me say that would be fun to run into, BUT, if you didn't tell them this is a dark setting with realistic issues like child sex trafficking and painted it like your average 5e game, then that is your fault because not everyone wants to deal with stuff like this in a high fantasy game
>>
I know Tyranny of Dragons get shat on a lot, and for mostly good reason, but I still had a lot of fun running it and my players playing it.

My favourite encounter was the players being ferried on the back of an ancient silver to the dragon council summit and two adult dragons and a cult force attack them.

Fighting on the back of a dragon against another dragon. Everyone holding on as the silver flips and turns. Chucking cultists off or impaling them on dragon spikes

In my games ancients can be as big as football fields
>>
>>55046232
>disemboweling sentient creatures, a-ok!
>human sex trafficking, NOPE I'M OUT!
anon, it's better that they are gone.
>>
>>55046232
>Anyone that gets upset by these topics can't differentiate reality from fiction

It's not about whether or not we can differentiate, jackass, it's about whether or not we want to have to deal with poignant reminders of the terrible nature of the real world IN our fictional escapist adventure. Particularly not D&D. It's also, in your case, probably the result of you failing to meet the player's expectations: most people who sit down at a table for D&D are expecting to play something akin to Lord of the Rings, not Law & Order: Special Victims Unit.
>>
>>55046232
>people get together to have fun fantasy elf game adventures and beat up world-conquering necromancers
>HEY GUYS IT'S TIME FOR THE CHILD RAPE CHAPTER
Sounds like you're a shit DM who can't play to his group and wants to force everyone to experience his magical realm.
actually it sounds like bullshit because this didn't happen
>>
Lizardman Barbarian (Or other class, and if other, explain why)

Or Orc Paladin?
>>
Having dark themes and evil people just makes being a paladin that much sweeter.

A light shines brighter in the dark.
>>
>>55046282
CHILD sex trafficking. Big difference there. Seems like something you could write around or even just hint at.

Not just "Heres a child sex brothel"
>>
>>55046282
>Lord of the Rings needed a sex trafficking chapter: the post.
>>
>>55046303
Lizard folk druid because its one of the best class/race combos for lizardfolk
>>
>>55046303
Why not a human, or a dwarf?
>>
Eh

Thing is I like bad guys to make you want to hate them.

Killing innocents and wanting to take over the world doesn't really hit any notes with me.
>>
>>55046303
Why not Lizardman Paladin?
>>
>>55046241
Heaven forbid villains are depicted doing bad things.

>>55046245
Yeah. I was pretty graphic, but it was supposed to be disgusting and really give them motivation to go full Frank Castle on them. I think the worst I did was have a little girl offer herself to the party out of habit.

>>55046270
This is the same group of players that always leaves one monster alive to torture later, even when I directly tell him it doesn't know anything.

>>55046297
>D&D is only lighthearted fantasy

How boring can you be? Gritty urban campaigns are great.
>>
>>55046057
Congratulations on the worst OP question I've ever seen
>>
>>55046306
Lizardmen barbarians can't combine their natural armor and barbarian armored defense because fuck logic so I'd suggest not wasting a racial feature
>>
>>55046328
Fuck off, Virt.
>>
>>55046232
>i can't believe anyone reads Harry Potter
>there's a secret race of magical people and they have mind control, polymorphing, and invisibility spells but no one uses it for sexual adventures or subjugating the mundane race
>completely unrealistic
Maybe your players were turned off by the requirement that they buy the Book of Erotic Fantasy to play at your table
>>
>>55046297
>>55046308
yes child sex trafficking, but still, you don't bat an eye when your character cuts down his hundredth bandit because they dare try to take your shit.
>>55046313
I'm not saying you NEED to have it in your story, I'm saying it's a little ridiculous to get all bent out of shape about it, when your character kills people as a living.
>>
>>55046127
You were told correctly. Aereolas are strictly forbidden in the land of the free
>>
>>55046317
True, but I was thinking Barbarian because after doing a quick readover on them it'd seem cool to play the "Savage warrior", but Druid sounds kinda nice too.

>>55046321
Did Human Fighter as my character before this, Dwarf Wizard before that, and now I want to try something non-PHB.

>>55046325
That does sound interesting, though I don't know if I want to or not.

>>55046337
Wait what? Ah, man that sucks.
>>
File: Song of ice and fire.jpg (132KB, 864x864px) Image search: [Google]
Song of ice and fire.jpg
132KB, 864x864px
>Gritty urban campaigns are great
Remember that chapter in ASOIAF where Arya was violently raped by twenty men for fifteen pages?
Wait, no...
>>
>>55046328
>This is the same group of players that always leaves one monster alive to torture later, even when I directly tell him it doesn't know anything.
Still two completely different things, like I said, I'd have fun with it, but if you sprang this on them completely out of nowhere. I'd at least understand why they'd walk out
>>
>>55046323
Yeah, but there are ways to make the players hate the villain without resorting to child sex. Rape is the cheapest, easiest, and laziest form of drama.

As a D&D-related counterpoint, the entire POINT of Ravenloft and Strahd is that by the time the players go to face Strahd, they should absolutely despise the guy, because he's been constantly and personally showing up to dress them down, hand them their asses, tempt them, taunt them, blue-ball them, and in all other ways be a complete asshole to them. And not once does Strahd have to rape anyone to do that.
>>
>>55046351
>yes child sex trafficking, but still, you don't bat an eye when your character cuts down his hundredth bandit because they dare try to take your shit.

There are some men who need killing. There are no children who need brotheling.
>>
>>55046328
"out of habit" you need to get some better habits.

>>55046351
Killing bandits in a table top RPG is normal. Child brothels are not a normal part of RPGs.

They have made moduels about killing bandits. Doubt they've made one about ol'dudes kiddie diddler fun park.
>>
Lizardman Cleric of Light that wants everyone to have their own personal sun because sunbathing is the cure to all the world's problems.
>>
>>55046351
>killing goblins and raping children are equivalent
How do you even type with all that edge
>>
File: mega thumb.jpg (25KB, 398x500px) Image search: [Google]
mega thumb.jpg
25KB, 398x500px
>>55046395
>>
>>55046396
WHat about raping goblins and killing children?
>>
>>55046390
As in the child was so broken she didn't know how to interact with people other than through the services she provides at the brothel. Might want to use a little more reading comprehension sometime.
>>
>>55046390
>>55046387
I don't even buy this "you have to kill bandits" line. I play in games where laws, peacekeeping entities, and knowledgeable gods exist. My groups (regardless of which side of the table I'm on) don't murder highwaymen or back-alley thugs if it can be avoided.
>>
>>55046387
>brotheling

my sides
>>
>>55046382
If only
>>
http://imgur.com/a/ExQrW

LOL!

/5eg/ lore!
>>
>>55046385

Honestly Strahd doesn't make me want to hate him because he hasn't really DONE anything despicable, he's just a dick.

I want to fight awful awful people.
>>
>>55046395

I can dig it.
>>
>>55046434
>Discordfags are cancerous redditors
Who would have thought
>>
>>55046396
>murderers can get the death penalty
>Pedophiles cannot
they aren't equivalent. Not that I necessarily agree with that.
>>
>>55046127
This is completely correct.
>>
>>55046382
>new fantasy book series came out and it's not popular yet
>got some good reviews by other writers, lemme check it out
>CHAPTER FOUR
>THE ENDLESS HORSE-DICKING OF A FOURTEEN-YEAR-OLD
>eh, maybe not
There's better places to go if I wanted to read child rape fanfics.
>>
>>55046351
>yes child sex trafficking, but still, you don't bat an eye when your character cuts down his hundredth bandit because they dare try to take your shit.

My character made it all the way to level 8 and only killed two people, one of them accidentally (she had meant to just knock him out, but the backstab did so much damage above the guy's maximum HP that the DM ruled that there was no way that the kobold could have lived). In D&D you don't NEED to kill things to get XP for defeating them, and when I wrote "Good" on my character sheet, I MEANT it.

Having said that, I'll admit that my character is probably fairly unique in that regard - but I hope that YOU'LL acknowledge that rape is usually regarded as a special kind of evil in most circles, completely distinct from killing folk and by a lot of people considered to be worse (whether they're right or wrong is subjective and isn't the point - the point is that the sentiment exists).

Plus, like I said, leaving aside any other moral concerns, rape is the cheapest and laziest form of drama.
>>
>>55046057
Go back to tumblr.

Games aren't for handling "problematic issues" they're for rolling dice, roleplaying, and killing shit.

If you try to bring up "problematic issues" or "whitewashing history," sexism, or "colonialism" where it hasn't already come up at my table, you will be shown the door.
>>
>>55046351
At this point I'm bent out of shape about people getting bent out of shape. Fuck me why does everyone need to goad these extreme reactions out of each other? Or is it me? Am I so used to the idea that everyone is just out to make some kind of statement about something that I start seeing them when they're not there.
>>
>>55046395
Kek, laid-back lizardman of light. I like the sound of that, anon. So far I'm thinking either Druid or Cleric, hmmm. Y'know, Nature Paladin Lizardman sounds kinda cool too. Hmmmmmm…
>>
>>55046445
>Honestly Strahd doesn't make me want to hate him

Then your DM didn't do a good job.
>>
>>55046216
It's not the first time this has been posted, either.
>>
>>55046466
I DO acknowledge the sentiment exists, I just think it's hypocritical for most people to not bat an eye to murder and other violence, but you toss in sex (both consensual and non-consensual) and suddenly it's too far.
>>
>>55046455
>deprivation of constitutional rights or conspiracy to do so, involving kidnapping or rape, or resulting in serious bodily harm OR death
Kidnap a child (or anyone) and rape (or beat) them to near-death and you can get the death penalty, Anon. In fact, it's the only crime other than treason and espionage that doesn't require a fatality for capital punishment to come into play.
>>
>>55046473
Oh shit is the niggerposter back with his friend Not!niggerposter the totally real racist
>>
>>55046490
Strahd, like most villains, is just a little cuckboi who is more pathetic than pitiable.
>>
>>55046490
When I DMed, I accidentally made the head revenant guy even more dickish than Strahd. They actually attacked him mid-dialogue!
>>
>>55046530
All he wants is a girlfriend but she keeps getting killed
>>
>>55046490

What does strahd do to make me hate him? I've read curse of strahd but I haven't played it, what does he really do that makes you abhor him as opposed to think he's a bit of a dick?
>>
>>55046382
Wellllll there IS a lot of violent rape in ASoIaF, so that kind of falls flat.
>>
>>55046466
>rape is usually regarded as a special kind of evil in most circles, completely distinct from killing folk and by a lot of people considered to be worse

So if you want the villains to be completely reprehensible, they should do something more than just kill people.
>>
>>55046510
While I agree that murder is worse than rape on a moral level, there's a reason we say things like "I'm gonna kill him" in anger and not "I'm gonna kidnap his daughter and rape her until she passes out".
>>
File: don't lie, you would.jpg (444KB, 1280x1810px) Image search: [Google]
don't lie, you would.jpg
444KB, 1280x1810px
>>55046419
Not sure about the rapin', but c'mon. Love me some gobbos.
>>
>>55046057
The best way is to realize if you're not a confident enough storyteller to use touchy social issues to make a story that's both compelling and not hamhanded preaching then you shouldn't actually try
>>
>>55046570
SHortstacks are pretty good
>>
>>55046510
People don't bat an eye at combat in D&D for a few reasons.

1) It started as a combat game to begin with. Combat is expected by the basic premise of the game, so people are mentally "prepared";
2) Most people, particularly in Western society, do not have any real-world experience with life-or-death struggles, and so do not have a frame of reference. Conversely issues like sexual harassment and rape are common in the real world; even if a person has never personally experienced it, it's likely that they've met someone who has. Thus it's more "relatable", which makes it harder to deal with abstractly.
>>
>>55046565
No, because rapists are sad little shits with inadequacy issues, not terrifying villains.
>>
>>55046568
>not raping the father until he passes out
it's like they aren't even trying.
>>
File: the black man knows.jpg (10KB, 260x194px) Image search: [Google]
the black man knows.jpg
10KB, 260x194px
>>55046583
>>
>>55046607
>not forcing the father to rape his daughter while you rape him
>>
>>55046603

How do you make a terrifying villain then?
>>
File: IMG_0961.jpg (33KB, 200x347px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0961.jpg
33KB, 200x347px
>>55046609
Certainly
>>
>>55046603
But the villains aren't raping anyone. They're kidnapping people and forcing them into the sex trade.
>>
>>55046621
Give them a motivation that isn't pitiable and have them perform actions that aren't derived from a position or feeling of weakness.
>>
>>55046057
whitewashing what history, the history of my pretend world I have complete control over?

Although I think it's funny how WotC copped out of this whole topic by just erasing Maztica entirely from Faerun. I can't really blame them, any mention of that place is enough to get any old retards to sperg out about something involving that place.

As for myself this has been a factor in one or two campaigns. Usually involving lizard folk as the oppressed people. I just present the world and let the players make their own decisions, but when the oppressed are inhuman creatures the players tend to treat them as such. Until things get really bad. A discussion could be had about this factor if one felt like it.
>>
>>55046645

What actions would they be?
>>
>>55046591
Now, I don't have the stats, but i'm fairly certain there are more assaults than rapes in any given length of time.
>>
>>55046645
>pitying rapists

WEW
>>
>>55046632
OH LOOK EVERYONE, it's fuckin' Krongor the Destructor, Mr. King Shit Villain, but he's too fuckin' stupid to make a legitimate mercantile empire to pay for his army of hellish minions. Has to resort to bottom-barrel strange-peddling like a two-bit frontier town bar owner. And he can't even handle an operation with adult women; he's gotta use little kids who can't even fight back. Ooh, we're all quivering in our smallclothes. Look out, Krongor the Diddler's gonna get you! Hey, why are you trying to raise an army? Knocking over candy shoppes seems more your speed.
>>
>>55046621
I'd say it's walking the line of committing what are effectively war crimes if they were committed by a nation and what saturday morning cartoon villains do to piss off Superman. Crossing into either can ruin a player's feeling towards a villain because it doesn't feel like something the villain should do.

>>55046673
You know very well that's not what he meant when he replied to that post specifically
>>
>>55046473
who wants to play with a bunch of easily offended faggots anyway?
>>
>>55046649
They didn't erase Maztica, they just never revisited it, like 90% of Forgotten Realms.
>>
>>55046721
t. guy who gets really upset if the male bandit leader kisses his male character
>>
Shouldn't the fact that it's an eyerolling, hackneyed trope to establish villains as evil via rape be enough to not include it in your story?

You have to figure the only way it would actually work as intended is if your players literally don't read books, watch movies, watch television, read comics, listen to radio dramas or basically consume any media whatsoever.
Those are some shitty odds when going bust means you've just made your antagonist a cartoon character.
>>
>>55046727
Was it restored after the spell plauge?
>>
>>55046541
If Strahd is played correctly? Any time the players accomplish something good, Strahd is supposed to do something to "make up" for it.

Save a child from werewolves? When they get back to the village, Strahd has burned down her house.

Killed the bandits in the woods? Strahd raises them as zombies and sets them on the town.

Made friends with the local innkeeper? Psyche! That local innkeeper was actually Strahd the entire time, fucking with you. His daughter was real, though. Strahd vamp'd her ages ago.

He should also be regularly doing things like Charming the must susceptible member of the party into doing his bidding, sending out minions to steal the keepsakes of the party, and so on.

And of course, at some point every single party member should get a personal, one-on-one visit from Strahd, separated from the rest of the group, where he personally tears down and mocks their every motivation and desire. Also those scenes should inevitably end with Strahd utterly overpowering them and drinking their blood - not killing them, but weakening them or rendering them unconscious and then leaving.

Basically the DM should find out whatever it takes to make the players HATE Strahd, and indulge in that to its fullest.

By the time the players are going to Castle Ravenloft, it shouldn't even be about saving Barovia anymore. It should be a personal grudge match between the players and Strahd.
>>
I think I want to do a Lizardfolk Druid, yeah. Lizardman lore strikes me as a race that Druids and Barbarians would naturally come from. Would it be viable to not wildshape or should I? And if so, what forms should I take?

The campaign is starting at Level 1.
>>
>>55046748
Human trafficking isn't rape.
>>
>>55046232
>>55046282
>>55046328
>>55046351
>>55046423
>>55046425

What am i reading here...
>>
File: sokraXP.gif (8MB, 420x237px) Image search: [Google]
sokraXP.gif
8MB, 420x237px
What the fuck is going on in this thread?

OP, explain yourself.
>>
>>55046773
Neckbeards and SJWs clashing.
>>
>>55046744
t. guy who get upset if you misgender his elven hermaphrodite
>>
>>55046773
just your average day on /tg/
>>
>>55046772
Sure?
Am I missing something here?
>>
>>55046784
Us fa/tg/uys got baited hard.
>>
>>55046806
Niggerposter why did you come back here you know you were banished monthes ago
>>
File: theyre all back.png (37KB, 404x129px) Image search: [Google]
theyre all back.png
37KB, 404x129px
>>55046754
The Sundering was basically "Spellplague never happened". Maztica's back.
>>
>>55046758
None of this is really necessary. All the locations in the adventure are deeply connected with Strahd, and tailored to make the party hate him. If you are actually good at making players at caring about game world and NPCs, just hearing and seeing what he did to the land is enough.
>>
>>55046758
That sounds like some pretty cringe railroading that many players would just shrug off and detach from
>>
>>55046800
Everyone keeps setting up this strawman of "villains raping people is bad/rape is a shit motivation" when the villains are really just doing standard human trafficking.

I wonder if everyone would have been just as upset if I omitted the word "child" from my initial post.
>>
>>55046819
Nice, wasn't sure if maztica returned as part of it
>>
>>55046784
Anon's got baited hard while some guy in the background is just asking about lizardfolk.
>>
>anything I don't like is bait

This is the real bait right here.
>>
>>55046603
>>55046712
You sound like you have some issues, sweetie. Where were you touched?
>>
>>55046840
>i'm not an idiot, you're all just mad
We're not the ones making up stories about killing our games because it's not "gritty" enough unless everyone's getting their rape on.
>>
File: IMG_20170625_201648.jpg (26KB, 640x356px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170625_201648.jpg
26KB, 640x356px
IS IT WORTH IT TO LEARN HOW TO RUN THE VIRTUAL TABLETOP ON ROLL20 OR AM I BETTER OFF DOING PURELY VOCAL THEATRE-OF-THE-MIND OVER DISCORD
>>
File: bait12.jpg (47KB, 854x859px) Image search: [Google]
bait12.jpg
47KB, 854x859px
>>55046868
>>
>>55046657

Murder: 15,696 (2015, estimated)
https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2015/crime-in-the-u.s.-2015/offenses-known-to-law-enforcement/murder

Rape: 90,185 (2015, estimated)
https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2015/crime-in-the-u.s.-2015/offenses-known-to-law-enforcement/rape

So rape is actually roughly six times more common than murder.

(For the record, there were some 700,000 aggravated assault cases in 2015 according to the FBI, but I don't have a way of meaningfully distinguishing between assaults-with-intent-to-murder, assaults-with-intent-to-rape, and assaults-with-intent-to-play-by-ear, so I didn't include a direct link)
>>
>>55046890
Using roll20 is strictly superior to not using it. There's nothing really to "learn" either, it's a matter of an hour or so.
>>
>>55046840
Or ya know, Brothel. coulda left that out completely. Because its weird and makes you seem like a pedo.
>>
>>55046758
And all this 'but ackshually' shit is why Ravenloft gets played like the MGM Monster Movie Classics setting once a year in October; because that isn't engaging as a player.
>>
>>55046800
rape is a sexual act without consent

trafficking is moving a person from one place to another and selling them.

Maybe the traffickers are also rapists, but they are two separate things.
>>
I asked this last thread but didn't get an answer, does anyone have any ideas for a freature for a miner background or know any from UA/other supplements?
>>
>>55046890
Roll20 is pretty easy to learn. If you don't like theater of the mind then it's worth giving a shot
>>
>>55046773
The posts of people who secretly want to fuck children
>>
>>55046898
So, like i said, assaults are far more common than rape. I purposely left out "Murder" because, well, not a lot of people can relate to it, since, you know, the ones who have been murdered aren't alive.
>>
>>55046840
Anon, we're not stupid. We know what human trafficking is FOR. What, are you gonna try and claim that the children being trafficked were going to be sent to Disneyworld? Even if the rape didn't actually happen yet, the rape was certainly implied. It doesn't help that you outright stated that one of the young girls "offered" herself to the PCs in thanks.
>>
>>55046882
>sign up for swashbuckling heroic fantasy
>DM insists we keep detailed logs of our pirate ship's hold and larder, manage NPC crew members, learn how to use a sextant IRL, and memorize real world sailing and navigation skills
>it's been seven sessions and we haven't swung our cutlasses yet because "pirates didn't get into fights that often"
>we finally spot another ship, but it's part of a larger naval force that we can't fuck with, so we have to leave because "pirates couldn't just fight anything"
>no one shows up for session 12
>see DM trashtalking us in /5eg/ for not being able to differentiate reality from fiction
>>
>>55046819
glad to hear. but revisiting that place officially is gonna be a can of worms. I hope WotC can pull it off without pissing off everyone (too badly). The fact that they probably can't and so won't bother is a real shame.
>>
>>55046840
I don't think people are upset that you referenced child abduction so much as they're upset that you're at the "you can make villains interesting by making them comically evil" level of storytelling.

Tell a story about your milquetoast Skeletor stand-in blending children into vitamin smoothies; that still doesn't make them interesting.
>>
>>55046955
Clearly they were going to be sold into backbreaking physical labor and none of the swarthy overseers would ever dare pluck their flowers. Children are necessary for the villain's purpose because the Fire Mines of Angrokorr have tunnels too small to be worked by adults
>but why don't they kidnap halflings
not sexy enough
>>
File: IMG_1811.jpg (18KB, 189x266px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1811.jpg
18KB, 189x266px
>>55046994
Would you want to fuck this
I didn't think so
>>
>>55047012
Maybe I would fuck that, you don't know my life
>>
>>55047012
My gf dresses up like this for me on friday nights.
>>
>>55046916
>depict a child sex brother in a negative light
>somehow a pedo

What?

>>55046955
Human trafficking could be used for a lot of things. The sex trade is common, but so is the slave trade. Where those slaves go could be another thing. Whether they're used for hard labor, arena fighting, magical experiments, or whatever else is going to drastically change how characters perceive the villains and how the campaign as a whole is handled.
>>
>>55046382
But there literally is a violent gang rape of a minor in ASOIAF.
>>
>>55047021
>fucking a retarded halfling
I don't judge
>>
>>55046972
People worried about the reactions of others invariably read more into it and make a bigger deal than the people they're worried about.

You know how some "SJWs" get offended on behalf of a minority group, when the group doesn't care? Here we've got /5eg/ getting offended about the theoretical offense of a minority of SJWs. Who gives a shit? Thay is still in the setting and it's full of fucking necromancer slavers. We're going to Chult and it's literally ungabunga magical Africa.
>>
>>55046954
Like I said, the thing is that I do not have the tools to distinguish from among the 700,000 assaults how many of them were with the intent of raping the victim, and how many were with the intent of killing them. Besides which, my original point wasn't necessarily that any given player was more likely to have been raped than murdered; that's obvious. The point is that players are more likely to KNOW the victim of a rape, attempted rape, or other sexual assault or unwanted sexual advance, then they are to know the victim of a murder or attempted murder.

(Note that there's also a difference between a schoolyard fight or barroom brawl, where the intent is just to throw some punches or "knock some sense" into a guy; verses an attempt at actually killing a dude. Plenty of people have experience with the former; the latter is much rarer)

As a result, due to the lack of "distance", it's harder for players to distance themselves from rape in game than it is for them to distance themselves from murder in game.
>>
File: goblin 1.jpg (458KB, 1920x2716px) Image search: [Google]
goblin 1.jpg
458KB, 1920x2716px
>>55047012
How are the goblins always the sexiest of the short races?
>>
>>55046718

honestly, most things that a villain does makes me go "Meh, whatever, you're a bit of a dick"

Genocide, Torture, God Killing.

none of those really make me hate them.
>>
this isn't the safe space for your rape fantasies /pol/

go away
>>
>>55047035
>we have female slaves but they're totally not being sexed
Yeah, okay pal
Even the little boys in Saudi Arabia and Dubai who are being used for actual physical labor also get sexed
>>
>>55046758

None of that makes him abhorrent, it just makes him seem like a dick.
>>
File: downs elf.png (944KB, 698x597px) Image search: [Google]
downs elf.png
944KB, 698x597px
>>55047012
would you fuck the down syndrome elf?
>>
>>55047040
You know I'm starting to think the old guy I know who said George R.R. Martin was a creep was right
>>
>>55047090
Oh hush, the Arabic people are an enlightened people, they do not have slaves. Islam is a religion of peace.
>>
>>55047098
This is a legitimately good Elf picture because I'm tired of fuckers thinking D&D Elves are pretty Tolkien things instead of freakish black-eyed feyfucks
>>
>>55047098
No, elves are for fags, I might fuck a autistic dwarf tho
>>
>>55047074
That's more like a gnome than a goblin
>>
>>55047110
Whoops, didn't realize I'd trigger /pol/ so hard by mentioning a country in the Middle East. I'll keep my kiddy-diddling examples limited to the Catholic church from now on, sorry.
>>
>>55047127
No shut up, Goblins are insane genius inventors because Warcraft told me they are.

Unless of course they have huge THICC asses and wide, wide hips because SHORTSTACKS hehehe.
>>
>>55047075
Like I said, war crimes don't really inspire someone to hate a villain, just think that they're a bad guy that should be stopped. The villain does need to do something that's at least semi-personal to the players, but doing that without going outlandish is hard to fucking to do for master writers trying to get their readers/viewers to hate the villain in whatever other media
>>
>>55047035
Again, the guy said himself here, >>55046328 (in the spoilered part) that one of the girls offered herself to the party "out of habit". This was definitely a child sex slave trafficking ring.
>>
>>55047138
Can we just go back to discussing how great PoC are?
>>
>>55046920
pls respond
>>
>>55047186
Maybe they acquired a male lover in the mines? I mean, they sure do love getting themselves dirty while excavating those tunnels ;)
>>
Why did we start a thread with this dogshit topic

Let's discuss why you should steal the Obligation system from Edge of the Empire for all your 5e campaigns
>>
Let's talk about something else that people will argue about that doesn't involve this shitty topic.

CLASS TIER LIST
>>
>>55047186
You could give them something like dwarvern stonecunnng, but maybe weaker.
>>
>>55047222
This is what happens when you let /pol/ make threads

>steal the Obligation system
literally Bonds, friendo
>>
File: Chadra-Fan_NEGAS.jpg (199KB, 850x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Chadra-Fan_NEGAS.jpg
199KB, 850x1280px
>>55047222

Why should you steal the Obligation system from Edge of the Empire for all your 5e campaigns?
>>
File: the real elminster.jpg (75KB, 616x425px) Image search: [Google]
the real elminster.jpg
75KB, 616x425px
>>55047181
as can clearly be seen here in this historical art, Elminster was really a black man, until Ed Greenwood white washed him out of jealousy.
>>
http://imgur.com/a/ExQrW
>>
>>55047245
> When you let /pol/ make a thread
> Implying anyone on /pol/ uses the term "problematic"
Fuck off cunt.
>>
>>55047098
That's racist! He's obviously from Not!Mongolia and dyes his hair.
>>
>>55047273
>/pol/ pretends to not know what false flagging is
>>
>>55047234
>>55047222

Here's a question!

How do you go about writing a character who's status as atypical, non-binary, a Person of Color, or other such peculiarity in an otherwise white-dominated society?
>>
>>55047299
>>55047305
It's like poetry
>>
File: IMG_1758.jpg (34KB, 400x381px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1758.jpg
34KB, 400x381px
>>55046767
Pls respond anons

I nvr plyd drood b4
>>
>>55047299
How many layers of false flagging are we on now
>>
>55047305
>Here's a question!

Usually I just bugger myself soundly with a shampoo bottle until the 'tisms abate. I find Head and Shoulders brand works best.
>>
Well, this thread has irredeemably gone to shit. See you fucks in the next one
>>
>>55047305
If you're false flagging, you're fucking up, as that's actually an interesting question.
>>
>>55047332
I've never played druid, but from what I've seen and heard, Shillelagh is fucking hilariously strong early and wild shape pisses off the DM so have fun with that is really all I can give you
>>
>>55047357
>instead of trying to facilitate discussion it's better to fuck off

We don't need fags you.
>>
File: 1499808562440.png (177KB, 480x295px) Image search: [Google]
1499808562440.png
177KB, 480x295px
>>55047305
as soon as player introduces their character and announce their special status as unique and different I have the denizens of the town swarm and lynch the PC in the village square.

Maybe the group and escape the mob, maybe the group sells out the snowflake. Either way, my sadistic fantasies are fulfilled. They usually walk out when I start masturbating at the table as I describe their twitching soon to be corpse but sometimes I get a blowjob and we all take turns pounding each others assholes.
>>
>>55047246
You should steal the Obligation system from Edge of the Empire for all your 5e campaigns because it's a really good system that lets you keep track of how burdened the party should be by their debts, offers opportunities to players to meaningfully build upon or resolve their character backstories, is a convenient way of doling out or loaning rewards as a DM, and the rolling system in it helps keep players engaged by singling out individual PCs as the 'star' of that session in much the same way that, say, a Star Trek episode might be called 'a Worf episode'.

Great system, definitely worth reading about from the EotE .pdf's for people not familiar with it.
>>
>>55047389
While that has its own appeal I think it's funnier to have the party visit a town full of the same exact kind of snowflake. It's hilarious when you aren't doing anything wrong but it still upsets them so much, bonus points if they try to make their character even more special after that.
>>
>>55046057
Oh God is the shit aclarar bait poster back again?

Dont you have school or something little man?
>>
What class would you play with a:
Ranger
Druid
Monk

as the rest of the party?
>>
>>55047495

Fighter, Paladin, Wizard
>>
>>55047495
I never base my class choice on the rest of the party.
>>
>>55047495
A more optimized Ranger, Druid or Monk
>>
>>55047442
>It's hilarious when you aren't doing anything wrong but it still upsets them so much, bonus points if they try to make their character even more special after that.

The apex of this type of trolling is when the SJW's special snowflake character is not only shockingly average, but treated as something of a loser for reasons entirely of their own doing.

Nothing gets those types more upset than having nothing to fall back on when people criticize them.
>>
>>55046057
So I'm likely going to play an oathbreaker paladin soon and am looking into ways how to be evil without being edgy, and also how good and evil could work together for a prolonged amount of time.

Is "show no mercy, the enemy might just cut your throat later if you do' a neutral concept or an evil concept? I want to avoid reasons like "show no mercy, BECAUSE I JUST LOVE TO MOIDA". I'm usually a lawful dumb or at least lawful neutral player.
The character will of course be lawful evil.

About the cooperation part, perhaps the ultimate goal of my character could be to lead the party's morals astray? An oath of corruption, you might say.
>>
>>55047742

Do things for your own benefit, even if it means fucking others over.

Kill the cart horses and rider, steal the contents because you might need it, fuck the poeople it was going to.
>>
File: 1503200300427.gif (2MB, 327x306px) Image search: [Google]
1503200300427.gif
2MB, 327x306px
>>55047742
As an addition: would choosing Aasimar as a race just be overly cliché/snowflakey, or would you regard it as a more intricate choice, as the character was corrupted by an evil power and now carries on the legacy of corrupting the goodly?
>>
>>55047786
Honestly that solution still sounds snowflakey.

I would play them as a normal person who just so happens to have angelic ancestry. No special destiny, maybe a guide whispering in your ear, but that's the end of it.
>>
I'm making a paladin/sorcerer, should I get a level or two in hexblade for the CHA bonus to be less MAD or can I still make it work just fine?
>>
>>55047742
Oathbreakers are kind of the definition of "BECAUSE I'M EVIL" though. The thing about oathbreakers, every single one of them broke their oaths (which is ridiculously hard to do in 5e), refused to repent/admit wrongdoing and when their patron god cuts of power, they get so pissy, they start consorting with demons instead. This is the story of literally every single one of them, without an exception.
If you can do Oathbreaker without being a complete edgelord, I sure can't imagine it.

So instead, embrace it and go for over the top, Skeletor evil.
>Yes, yes, I killed your father. Why are you heroes always so whiny? I killed my father too, and you won't hear me whining about it!
>>
>>55047786
Have an Aasimar that doesn't understand what he's doing is evil. Like sacrificing a large city to kill a cult of maybe 50 members would be fine in his book and gets confused when anyone confronts him about it.
>>
File: 1503366725148.gif (2MB, 350x244px) Image search: [Google]
1503366725148.gif
2MB, 350x244px
>>55047820
Just spitballing ideas. Haven't decided on a race yet. I'll wait and see what races the other players chose and then I'll decide whether to go more exotic or choose human. Perhaps a dwarf.

>>55047896
DM and I had a little chat about that already, and we came to the conclusion to refluff the Oathbreaker (in my case) as a sort of Death Knight, in service of a/the evil gods in exchange for power, much like paladin with good gods. While a cartoonishly evil character would certainly be entertaining, I don't think it'd fit into the mood of this group!
>>
>>55047913
>But Anon, a soul is worth far more than a life. A thousand lives. A thousand, thousand lives.
>No, of course I did not simply kill those people. I sent them to God.
>>
Got a question guys. I have a fighter in a game where coin/gold as been really slow coming. The party is at Lv4 now and we all have something like 120GP each. I am saving up for better armour but it's going to take a while at the rate we are going.

Should I talk to the DM about it? He's running a modified campaign from AD&D (he a bit older than the guys in the party but he's a bro) but I don't know if the item economy has changed between editions but the people with heavy and medium armour haven't been able to upgrade from the starting equipment yet.
>>
File: 08190e7bb06136fb.jpg (217KB, 1024x1695px) Image search: [Google]
08190e7bb06136fb.jpg
217KB, 1024x1695px
>>55048027
Why do humans embrace sleep so dearly, when dreams can be so cruel to them, yet fear the death that alleviates all pain and suffering, and unites them with their gods?
>>
No one in my group has played 5E before, and I'm going to GM it. Should I just stick to Lost Mines of Phandelver to start off with?
>>
>>55047896
I had a dragonborn paladin who broke her oath to Tiamat and became Neutral rather than evil.
>>
>>55048028
Seems fine to me. Plate mail is supposed to be expensive. It's the best money can buy.
>>
Is not Wildshaping viable?
>>
>>55048299
You're welcome, but that's not how it works as written.
>>
>>55048295
Yes, it's the best module for begginers by far.
>>
I'm thinking about giving Human race the equivalent of 1 luck point from the Lucky feat, so it's a better Human Determination feat.
It alone is ok, but what about regaining it after a short rest too? Too much?
>>
>>55048028
>>55048313

Or it just 5e being weird like usual.

>Splint mail 200
>Brest plate 400
>Half plate 750
>Full plate 1500

I can understand diminishing returns but a full suit of splint mail is half the price of just a breast plate!?
>>
Man making gods is fucking hard
>>
>>55048387
It's custom fitted and worked armor, compared to a one size fits all, but still well made, suit of armor.
>>
>>55048474
Hinduism has like a 1000 or some shit. Just grab one of them
>>
>>55048385
Don't forget determination gives you that *and* a +1 to any ability
>>
>>55048028
Bring this up with your fellow players in front of the DM. Do not accuse your DM of being a shyster gnome, just say you all need money and figure out a way to get it. Ask around about any monster dens that might have treasure. Offer your services to NPCs as murder hobos or for opportunities to use your non-combat skills to earn some cash.

On second thought bring it up with the DM first in private so he doesn't feel blindsided by your sudden economic drive. If he is as old school as you say he is probably wondering why you haven't done this already.
>>
>>55048316
Yes, and getting more viable with every release
>>
File: 20170824_193517.png (247KB, 720x962px) Image search: [Google]
20170824_193517.png
247KB, 720x962px
What the fuck is happening to our hobby?
>>
>>55048537
More clickbait titles
>>
File: 1483405137099.gif (3MB, 346x195px) Image search: [Google]
1483405137099.gif
3MB, 346x195px
>As far as I know, my party enjoy playing DnD. We're mostly first-timers.
>DM is doing a fine job for his first time, I'm getting quite into the game.
>Suddenly messages me after a slightly slower session about maybe calling the whole thing off because he feels as if others aren't that into it or that they're just there for social obligation.
>Almost 100% certain he's just overthinking things, I don't get that vibe from anyone outside of 1 guy who said while he was joining that he'd be more of a casual player.

Is this just a thing that newer DMs do?
I can't go back to NO D&D.
I have so many character ideas.
>>
>>55048537
nothing, just knee-jerk reactions from autists.
>>
File: 1408998139463.jpg (233KB, 1024x813px) Image search: [Google]
1408998139463.jpg
233KB, 1024x813px
>>55048537
On the bright side at least you don't have to play the adventures.
Alos, pic related
>>
>>55048537
It's the current year. Virtue signaling ups sails and you are in full control of your table and hobby.

No reason to gamergate about it.
>>
>>55048558
your DM is either being self conscious and/or thinks too highly of himself and is aggravated that the players aren't praising him for his OBVIOUS genius.
>>
>>55048537
>are there going to be more gays in dnd so i dont kill myself
>i mean sure the world is fantasy so anything could and should happen, so we'll add more eventually
>DND IS PROGRESSIVE NOW CLICK OUR LINKS

this is all it is
>>
>>55048537
its called diversity anon

queer people are taking over the time of cishet white males is done
>>
>>55048511
Determination gives advantage.
Lucky gives another d20 after you've rolled, and you get to choose the die. At disadvantage you can choose the highest die out of 3 d20s.
That's why I'm wondering how powerful would it be to give 1 luck per short rest.
>>
File: 1495933854182.jpg (225KB, 700x1102px) Image search: [Google]
1495933854182.jpg
225KB, 700x1102px
>>55048474
http://fistsofcinderandstone.blogspot.ca/2017/06/random-god-generator-or-who-dat-god.html

http://www.rolang.com/archives/449

http://whatwouldconando.blogspot.ca/2016/02/an-infinity-of-gods.html

Your google-fu is weak sauce!
>>
>>55048537
already a thread about this 55046364
>>
>>55048537
We call it pathfinder
>>
>>55048576
Considering they're mostly new to it let's hope it's more of the former.

Speaking of new DMs, I am one of those. Does anyone know of good mapmaking tools I can use that don't cost money? Or are easily obtainable? I am creating a setting for my players (who are all entirely new) and I think things will fall together more easily if I can point at locations instead of just having a bunch of city/faction ideas rattling around in my head.

I've been running them through a modified, toned-down Death House as a little intro adventure before dropping them in the main campaign. Lucky for me this has turned from a one session thing into a two session one because they're new, which is giving me time to craft my campaign.
>>
>>55048694
GIMP+roll20
>>
>>55048576
Almost certainly the former.
Seeing him again tomorrow, hopefully I can talk some sense into him.
>>
https://donjon.bin.sh/fantasy/world/
>>
>>55048474
What about it do you find hard? I've always found it pretty easy in my experiences.
>>
I missed it, but I posted a few days ago about making a ninja/nightcrawler build.

This is one I've read about

1 Rogue (for the profs) > 2+3 Warlock (Hex, Devil Sight) > 4,5,6,7,8,9 Monk (Shadow Monk) > 10,11 Rogue (further crit)
>>
>>55048474
(NAME), god of (DOMAINS), personality is (INSERT PERSONALITY HERE)

done. Gods are no different than any other npc
>>
>>55048694
>Does anyone know of good mapmaking tools I can use that don't cost money?
World/Region Maps? http://www.hexographer.com/free-version/ or https://inkarnate.com/

Mostly Dungeons? http://pyromancers.com/dungeon-painter-online/ (there's a Steam version that's 15$ and you can add 3rd party stuff, also there's lot of stuff on the workshop).
>>
>>55048694
Oops, forgot the (you)
>>55048729
>>
>>55048729
My current 5e campaign is set in a world generated by that. It's pretty rad.
>>
>>55048788
Do you use 6 miles per hex?
>>
>>55048788
Yeah, I guess. I don't really focus too much on things like travel distance in my campaigns. I'm aware that 6 mile hexes make my world absurdly small by most reasonable standards, but it gets the job done.
>>
>>55048909
Meant to be a reply to
>>55048867
>>
File: PepeHelium.png (107KB, 800x388px) Image search: [Google]
PepeHelium.png
107KB, 800x388px
>>55046232
>ywn get to play a gritty hardcore sex trafficker in a dark urban d&d campaign
>>
>>55048573
No it doesn't. SJW don't buy diversity crap see comics, videogames, movies which bomb even with pansexual genderqueer animal spirits of color
>>
One of the players in my game is trying to discover what happened to a fallen pantheon of metallic dragon deities, who disappeared millennia ago. They have a vaguely Asian theme, mostly Japanese in naming convention. What would some good names for the deities be that aren't too clumsy to pronounce?
The only two I have locked in by the player are Rasik (gold) and Izura (copper).
>>
>>55047273
Nobody but /pol/ uses problematic anymore.
>>
People who can't deal with rape and underage sex abuse in fiction are part of the cancer that help perpetuate those crimes.

These people are so psychologically weak they can't even keep thoughts about these topics in their minds without extreme distress.

These kinds of people can only play in special snowflake games where the DM ignores all of the difficult rules and just lets players be Gods and murder hobo everywhere and these kinds of people are complete cancer.
>>
>>55048957
A Scarface style campaign would be great. Too bad we can't touch on anything that might offend someone.
>>
Can we go back to whining about eldritch blast?
>>
>>55049106
eldritch blast is the absolute best range attack that doesn't need an easily obtained resource until you use the overpowered weapon feats, and the entire reason that melee warlocks are purposely not as good as paladins
>>
>>55049295
Thanks
>>
Alright I'm looking at a pimpin' 30$ poly metal dice set at amazon (made by forged dice) but I don't know if metal is worth the money as I've stayed a cheesex dice poorfag forever. Any recommendations? How about the plastic flashy stuff Q Workshop makes?

>>55046303
>Lizardman Barbarian
Muh nigga

>>55046317
Second best pick
>>
Friendly reminder.

If you think multiclassing is allowable without explicit DM permission you're wrong.

If you as a DM allow multiclassing you're also wrong.
>>
File: 195ni2mlgbdvdjpg.jpg (61KB, 636x368px) Image search: [Google]
195ni2mlgbdvdjpg.jpg
61KB, 636x368px
>>55048537
Women anon, women.

They get their filthy tendrils into every enjoyment and bastion of peace that men have and they systematically ruin it inexorably, slowly, unendingly.
>>
>>55049417
>autism
>>
>>55049498
Autistic people aren't usually correct anon.
>>
>>55049531
Checkmate, Only an autist would post something and make another post to claim it's correct.
>>
>>55047186
Something about surveying land and knowing where to prospect, or some sort of labourer thing where you can do certain activities without feeling exhaustion.
>>
>>55046351
>you don't bat an eye when your character cuts down his hundredth bandit because they dare try to take your shit.
Castle doctrine
>>
>>55049546
The first post wasn't mine. Isn't there some trivially easy way to tell if two posts are by the same person?
>>
How do we fix bladelocks?
>>
>>55049643
read >>55049295
>>
File: 56543531286.jpg (59KB, 400x541px) Image search: [Google]
56543531286.jpg
59KB, 400x541px
Oddly specific question: I'm working on a dungeon with an eyeball/eyesight theme and I'm wondering if there's any enemies that can explicitly induce blindness though some sort of magic power?
>>
>>55049616
Yeah, you can edit your screenshot to hide the first (you)
>>
>>55049729
Huge casting of Darkness functions in the same way. Alternatively, just make them do a DC X CON saving throw or be blinded, repeat save at beginning of turn.
>>
My DM ran Oubliette of Fort Iron tonight.
good fucking lord that was crazy. It was me, a Dragonborn Bard, a Human Cthulu Warlock, and a Monk.
we managed to kill all the troglodytes, the badger, the one human, the three stirges, and the Svirfneblin.
oh, and the Specter of the Dwarf guy.
I got to keep the sweet axe and shield from his corpse and go up to 3rd level, thus opening up my College of Valor.
>>
File: 1494460170696.gif (923KB, 245x200px) Image search: [Google]
1494460170696.gif
923KB, 245x200px
>>55049616
If it was that easy, wouldn't everyone already do it?
>>
>>55049729
>open monster manuel
>ctrl+F
>type "Blind"
>>
File: tumblr_n5t70d1tMR1rju7gyo8_500.gif (971KB, 500x210px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n5t70d1tMR1rju7gyo8_500.gif
971KB, 500x210px
Mind Flayers from made a "alliance" (more or less patsy of) a large band of Goliaths for various means.

Without going into too much detail on why or how, the Illithid are bestowing gifts of magic and creatures to aid these Goliaths.

What would Mind Flayers dominate or be able to give over as means of bolstering an ally's forces besides themselves?
>>
>>55049892
In volos they are a few things like mindblades/mind carapaces that give them psychic weapons and armor
>>
File: 27d.png (388KB, 474x458px) Image search: [Google]
27d.png
388KB, 474x458px
>The assassin is running towards the prince!
>I draw my bow and attack!
>What did you roll?
>Nineteen... plus STR modifier... twenty-two!
>Nope, still misses. Assassin kills the prince.

If my GM is going to pull shit like this he might as well not even bother letting us roll
>>
>>55050156
*DEX modifier, my bad
story still stands.
>>
>>55050156
Would you have been satisfied if you grazed him, did some damage, and he still killed the prince?
>>
File: 1367642682244.jpg (29KB, 436x448px) Image search: [Google]
1367642682244.jpg
29KB, 436x448px
>>55050156
>I draw my bow and attack

>Are we in initiative?
>How do you know you get to go before him
>This is a surprise round were you alert?
>Players thinking they can take combat actions outside initiative
>>
>>55049614
This. Bandits violate the NAP so only God can help them
>>
>>55049417
If you play in AL it is allowed, no permission required.

However, I personally hate multi-classing. I see it used to power game much more often than for simple roleplay purposes, which is stupid imo.
>>
My favorite character I ever played way back in third used a spiked chain. How do I do this again?
>>
>>55049643
Use Hexblade UA and allow their class features to use the cursebringer invocatipn
>>
>>55050156
did you have initiative? because if you did then your DM's an ass.
>>
>>55049729
Give any monster innate spellcasting of blindness/deafness
>>
>ravenloft
>reach some mansion
>find some knights kneeling
"Greetings"
>entire frontline gets paralyzed, fucking all of them tanked the save
>i have nothing to help, i use an aoe but all the knights make the save, welp see ya then!
>2 of them just die to the mountains of damage they take in one round, one goes down but doesn't die
>heal that person and they are able to GTFO with us (they were a monk so yeah monk shit)

it was awful, the fighter and cleric are now replaced with a gnome barbarian and a paladin.
>>
>>55050156
>not being proficient in bows
>>
>>55050311
>>55050271
>you can't react with combat to something done outside of designated Kombat Time
What kinda jrpg shit are you running?
>>
>>55050311
this is good.
the session I was just at, I went blind for a round because I cast Detect Magic in a room with a powerful item. so theres that.
>>
>>55050271
Correct order would be
>Assasin does a Stealth check vs everyones Passive Perception
>then they all roll initiative
>anyone whose PP was too low has surprised condition
>>
File: DariaFire.gif (495KB, 480x362px) Image search: [Google]
DariaFire.gif
495KB, 480x362px
>>55049077
Yeah. It took me a while to understand that other people use their hobbies to escape reality, while I love to magnify the violent, sexual, fucked up parts of our world, in a weird ego gratifying process that reinforces my hatred of mankind.
>>
>>55050322
What level were you all?
>>
File: 1402803579200.gif (3MB, 353x209px) Image search: [Google]
1402803579200.gif
3MB, 353x209px
>>55050339
As soon as combat breaks out iniative is rolled.

You don't all get to say

>I prepare an action to attack this guy before initiative BECAUSE INITIATIVE DETERMINES IF YOU IN FACT DID GET TO DO THAT
>>
>>55050293
Your options would be to ask the DM to homebrew something up for ya or to refluff a whip into a spiked chain. Other than that, you're sol.
>>
>>55050293
Reflavor a whip
>>
>>55049729
Alternatively check Volos Beholder eye power variants. A Blindness ray would be suitable but need buffing to make it an area or all creatures within say 30 feet
>>
>>55050309
>>55050271
I'd argue if the players noticed the assassin and he had to move more than the speed he gets in 1 round then they're free to take a shot or start initiative depending on the scenario. It's pretty dumb to give the players no chance to stop the assassin if they fucking saw him before he could actually assassinate his target
>>
>>55050427
exactly. if they saw him, that should be opportunity, right?
>>
>>55050399
Doesn't make much sense to me, if you start something before everyone else you clearly have a speed advantage. I'd say you should at least give the initiating player advantage on the initiative roll.
>>
>People using tabletop for escapism rather than storytelling

Smh, if you can't stand dark themes go play vidya or read a book.

Oh wait, they have dark themes too.

Maybe you can not he a pussy then?
>>
>>55050499
Yeah maybe if they were actively looking for assassins.

>>55050365 Has summed up who will be surprised

>>55050427
>Free to take a shot

There you go again trying to act outside combat.

A round is 6 seconds. Everything happens at once. Initiative determines in which order.
>>
>>55050515
who are you even directing this at
>>
>>55048295

Yes.
>>
Are Weapons with the (+1) property considered magical ? Like the GreatAxe+1, GreatSword+1, etc

ps: I don't have the PHB (yet)
>>
>>55050525
The guy said the GM said the assassin had broken completely from stealth and made a break for it. And I said if he had to move more than he gets in one round then the players get their shot, you're a fucking idiot if you make everything completely rely on initiative especially in what is most likely a story "encounter"
>>
>>55050579

Yes
>>
>>55050555
Probably all the pussies out there.
>>
>>55050555
the first 150 posts of this thread were basically a shitstorm, he's probably trying to get it started again
>>
File: 1329178030523.jpg (28KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
1329178030523.jpg
28KB, 320x320px
>>55050579
If the DM says they are.

They could just be sharp masterworks.

A +1 non magic is a good middle road upgrade without actually giving your players a flaming magic sword.
>>55050598
No.
>>55050581
>Story encounter

Wew didn't know we were dealing with a fucking casual here.

There are no cutscenes in d&d. Go play a videogame instead.
>>
>>55047332
Instead of combat shapes, like bears, stick to utility shapes (giant spiders, etc) and if you're able, theme the animals to be things you would find in the place your lizard man comes from (presumably a swamp?)
>>
>>55050616
How was it a shitstorm?
>>
>>55050632
>There are no cutscenes in d&d.
Cuz if ur not playing like i am then you are fucking doing it WRONG!
>>
>>55050632
if you're playing any d&d made after 1999 you're pretty much already playing a video game
>>
>>55050632
The GM gave him a shot, told him to roll, and then said a 22 was completely ineffective, it's pretty fucking clear the GM just wanted to get the prince dead and gave the players false hope in stopping it.
>>
>>55050670
What kind of stupid player would think they can kill an assassin skilled enough to murder royalty with a single arrow shot?
>>
>>55050700
What you think I said
>The players should be able to kill the assassin in one shot
What I really said
>A 22 was said to be completely ineffective not even slowing the assassin down because even with 3/4 cover that takes a hell of lot of armor class to not get hit by that
The DM gave the player a shot, and regardless of what the player could do it was ineffective
>>
>>55050670

Shit DM.

The assasin would have had to have 20 DEX, studded leather, a shield and either cover or magic.
>>
>>55050738
If he's going after royalty he obviously has magical items out the ass.

Also getting hit doesn't normally slow your movement.
>>
>>55050738
>>55050670
>Implying you know the assassins abilities
>Could have dodged
>DM could have rolled disadvantage secretly
>Could have halved any damage it can see
>Could have 150 hp like an assassin from the MM and one arrow wouldn't actually slow it down
>Could have acted outside initiative
>>
>>55050661
>Cuz if ur

>Cuz
>if
>ur
>Cutscenes

What the fuck happened to our hobby? Why are people like this allowed to post on this board?
>>
>>55050771
>Also getting hit doesn't normally slow your movement.
that's not necessarily true, Battlemasters could trip on a range attack, that could have given the party an additional round.

>>55050781
the problem wasn't that he couldn't kill him, it's that the DM let him roll when he knew damn well that he wasn't going to let the assassin get hit. Letting your players roll with they haev 0% chance to succeed is shitty DMing
>>
>>55050781

At yhat point DM is Scenic Railroading.
>>
>>55050376
level 4, so close to 5, 3 of the 5 of us are still alive and only 180xp away from level 5
>>
>>55050821
yes i missed the "normally" part of the statement, my point still stands.
>>
>>55050821
You know I specifically added "normally" to cover the niche cases when it does happen. No need to be a dummy and point it out.
>>
Anyone played with reworked Kensai? How was it? Still better to spam stuns?
>>
>>55050858
I already beat you to it.
>>55050849
nya nya nya nya nyaaaaa nya
>>
>>55050874
Reworked kensai doesn't have the dex-GWM and ranged pummel shit that v1 had. It's basically a weapon-focused monk that can feasibly do ranged or melee with more damage than normal monks.
>>
>>55050875
>so psychic your reading comprehension suffers

Damn.
>>
>>55050926
it's not easy being cheesy
>>
>>55050581
Bad DM detect. I enjoy breaking your railing with Portent.
>>
>ultimate skeletons build
Start with necromancer wizard until level 6.
Then multiclass into warlock. When you can cast 3rd level spells as a warlock, you 'll be able to spawn skeletons after every short rest. Fill free to fill the world with skellies.

This is a quote from anon two threads ago. Can you cast wizard spells using pact-magic slots?
>>
>>55051145
>"Okay you guys are all in the same city but haven't met yet. What do you do?"
>i leave the city
>"What? Why?"
>i don't want to be here anymore fuck this place
>"But everyone else is in the shopping district."
>FUCK YOUR RAILROADS DM MY ALIGNMENT IS CHAOTIC NEUTRAL YOU CAN'T TELL ME WHAT TO DO
>>
>>55051188
>Ok your character leaves and goes off into the sunset
>Everyone else at the table continues the adventure
>Would you like to roll another character or leave the table?

>Not starting every campaign with a session 0 where everyone is bffs travelling together for minimum 3 years
>>
>>55051188
> Strawman this hard
See? This is why you are a bad DM.
>>
>>55051148
Yes, you can.

But don't forget that skeletons that lost control will attack you too.
>>
>>55051215
A good player is willing to work with the DM. Actively trying to derail the game just makes you a douchebag.
>>
Would Goliaths ride war horses? Or something bigger and more intimidating?
>>
>>55051278
bears
>>
>>55051278
Giant lizards that can easily scale mountains.
>>
>>55051148
Pact magic can be used to cast any spell as long as the pact magic level is he minimum level of the spell or higher.
Shit like this and eldritch blast being as powerful for a level 20 warlock as it is for a level 2 warlock make me think the class was designed specifically for multiclassing
>>
>>55051257
Not when the DM has god complex and taking out player narrative power.

D&D is a co-operative storytelling game, not your DM fanfiction masturbation stage.
>>
File: Thri-krieen.jpg (841KB, 1910x2702px) Image search: [Google]
Thri-krieen.jpg
841KB, 1910x2702px
Just made two race sheets for Gith and Thi-kreen, opinions?
>>
>>55051257

Did you miss the part where DM clearly shifted AC of a creature to railroad the narrative.
>>
>>55051314

Eldritch blast should've been a level 1 feature that scaled with level.
>>
File: Gith.jpg (871KB, 1910x2702px) Image search: [Google]
Gith.jpg
871KB, 1910x2702px
>>55051408
>>
>>55051302
Bulettes?
>>
>>55051422
>used Shield
>has ungodly AC from a ton of magical items
>has an item that protects him from arrows
>the party is supposed to figure this out on their own and prepare for their next encounter appropriately

Yeah, totally railroaded with no explanation.
>>
>>55051500

It doesn't matter if it has an explanation, the dm created an "encounter" where the players just flatout couldn't do anything.

Also the assassin was never said to have shield, or an item or cover.
>>
>>55051558
You don't even know how the rest of the encounter went.
>>
>>55051603

The assassin attacked the prince, the prince died in one hit, assassin ran away.
>>
>>55051634
And you know this... how?
>>
>>55051634
Whatever, just raise him.
>>
>>55051783

Pretty hard at low levels and GM decides prince doesn't get saving throws becausr STORY
>>
>>55051808
Either way if you knock that game off the railroad it'll either end fast or get better.
>We can still save him!
>DM: You can't cause I said so
>We must find a high level healer to bring him back!
>>
>>55051808
>>55051849
Better yet, just cover up the murder and usurp him with illusions and disguises. That assassin just did you a solid.
>>
What's the best bard college for a 3 level dip into bard?
>>
>>55051892
Depends on what you're coming from. If you can dip into the UAs glamour's pretty good. Jester combos really well with non-swash rogues. Lore and valor are okay at 3 for general combat fuckery and valor's got some proficiencies @3. Probly not valor since there's better things to go down unless you want to specifically be a medium/martial skillmonkey.
>>
How do I go about creating the Muscle Wizard (™)?

I want to both cast wizard spells and punch people.
>>
>>55051985
Eldritch knight that dual-wields clubs reflavored as caestus, maybe?
>>
>>55051985
You stop being a meming retard and make a character instead of a meme.
>>
>>55051985
Refluff.
Shocking grasp is thunder punch.
Magic missile are all fists.
>>
>>55052091
dhalsim style magic missile, i can dig it
>>
Every class is better with Divination wizard dip.
>>
>>55051447
it is :^)
>>
File: act3.jpg (218KB, 600x522px) Image search: [Google]
act3.jpg
218KB, 600x522px
>Dracolich is hunting us
>need to find phylactery asap
>through means of the deck of many things, find out where it is located
>"it is on the Dying Isle, masquerading as a mountaintop facing a Drow Keep"
>goober away from this Dracolich's path and make it to this unfamiliar isle
>half the fucking island is mountain ranges
>Drow live underground
>the mountains are made of adamantine

we were destined to die, bros
>>
Is healer feat a good investment on my Wizard? Being able to get my friend back up during combat seem like a good thing.
>>
>>55051985
Dragonborne Stone Sorcerer?
Or maybe Goliath Stone Sorc or even Dwarf Stone sorc for +2/+2.
Then use twinned+quickened booming blade to strike 3times per round with a maul.
>>
>>55052550
You're better off just dipping a level into Bard or Cleric for Healing Word.
>>
If I crit with a booming blade sneak attack using a rapier at level 3 is it
2d8+4d6piercing+2d8 thunder+dex mod or just
2d8+4d6piercing+1d8 thunder+dex mod
I know spells don't crit but since uses a melee attack I'm not sure
>>
Anyone have the new PDFs yet?
>>
>>55052616
The damage of the attack multiplies, the after-effect does not. The second one is correct. But at 5th level, the extra damage it deals would indeed multiply.
>>
>>55052616
>I know spells don't crit but since uses a melee attack I'm not sure
First of all, spells with attack rolls can crit. Second, booming blade's damage on hit is multiplied by a crit, just like smite. The secondary damage isn't
>>
>>55052566
> delaying him from the best Wizard healing spell that is Polymorph
>>
>>55052631
>>55052637
Thanks
>>
>>55052627
second this
>>
What are your thoughts on these cantrips?

Anyone ever wanted more Gish like cantrips in a similar fashion to Booming Blade or Green-Flame Blade or do you think those two are enough?
>>
New thread >>55052820
>>55052820
>>55052820
>>
>>55046135
You aren't guaranteed to face solely high CR enemies at high levels nor are you guaranteed to face weapon resistance if you face a high CR enemy or not face weapon resistance on a low CR enemy like a jackalwere and there are spells, class features, and general equipment and tactics to work around weapon resistance as well, all of which you can render meaningless with your "martials must have magic weapons" meme.
>>
>>55048558
I'm a newer DM, only done it for about a year or so, and I totally feel this way. I know it's just me being an irrational faggot so I don't say anything, but every session I always worry the PC's aren't having a good time, though they always say they do.

It could also be DM burnout, and they just feel worn out and need a break but don't know how to ask. Maybe volunteer to DM yourself as well and let him play.
>>
>>55046328

You dared them to enter your antimagical realm and they refused.

I wouldn't play your campaign either.
>>
>>55046767

Only do avian/reptile shapes obviously.
>>
File: White Man's Burden.jpg (676KB, 1300x835px) Image search: [Google]
White Man's Burden.jpg
676KB, 1300x835px
>>55046057
>What's the best way to handle problematic topics such as sexism and colonialism in DnD?

Keep burying your head in the sand, that's worked so far.
>>
If you could remake the PHB race lineup right now what would you include?
Thread posts: 380
Thread images: 46

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.