[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 410
Thread images: 37

File: 1496952447836.jpg (584KB, 1024x1431px) Image search: [Google]
1496952447836.jpg
584KB, 1024x1431px
D&D 5th Ed. General Discussion

>Unearthed Arcana: Three-Pillar Experience
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-ThreePillarXP.pdf

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Trove:
https://dnd.rem.uz/5e%20D%26D%20Books/

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread:
>>55046057
>>
>>55052820
I just started playing this system. I'm running Lost Mines of Phandelver with some friends. So far we've had a good time, but I wonder how I should be giving out magic items? Some of them seem really powerful, and I don't want to remove the fun of the challenge from the game. Also, is it considered a faux pas to create your own magic items?
>>
Picking up the Primeval Thule campaign guide. Conan+Cthulu? Sign me the fuck up.

Anyone have experience running this setting?

>>55052869
Take a look at the random loot tables arranged by level. You don't have to choose randomly if you want. Just start low.

No it's not a faux pas, but it's easy for an inexperienced DM to accidentally break the game by introducing a broken item. Use caution.
>>
How features can an Intellect Devour use if it takes over a body? I guess they can't cast the spells the person could
>>
>>55052869
creating your own magic items is normal. I've not played lost mines, but how exactly are the magic items overpowered?
>>
>>55052905
I meant which features, or how many of course
>>
>>55052905

It knows everything the target creature knows. Including spells and languages. The intellect devourer can use any of the abilities and spells.
>>
>>55052869
If you're running a module just follow it. It hands out magical items at appropriate times.
>>
12th level Life Cleric here, have been playing the rather conservative Beacon of Hope, Spirit Guardians, Spiritual Weapons shit for way too long.

What is some goofy shit I can do?
>>
Anyone get access to the newest PDFs yet?
>>
>>55053075
What PDFs?
>>
Why is everyone who plays TTRPGs so autistic? The "min-maxers" can't even figure out that wizard isn't the best class in the game, bladelock sucks, or sentinel + polearm master isn't even that good. RP fags think that if you don't take a 12 or less in constitution you're a power gaming piece of shit. Is there any place on the internet for actual good discussion of the finer points of both role playing and crunch without it being mucked up by retarded monkeys spouting off about eldritch blast?
>>
Did someone say Eldritch blast?
>>
File: maximum overchen.gif (109KB, 209x193px) Image search: [Google]
maximum overchen.gif
109KB, 209x193px
>be mystic with high-level fighter
>Ready the Command to Strike discipline power for when the fighter starts attacking the big bad
>use reaction to use it
>4 attacks action, 4 attack action surge, 4 attack reaction, 1 attack bonus action GWM
>13 attacks dealing 2d6+15 damage each not counting crits and superiority dice
>>
You guys ready to be more queer
>>
So I'm running Death House tonight.

Should I let my PCs start at level 2? There's only 4 of them and they don't really have any experience with DnD.

I feel like they'll still be plenty squishy even with the extra level, and that even if we decide to continue to the rest of the CoS module it won't make a huge difference.
>>
>>55053186
Have you looked into the OSR community? No offense, but it seems like 5e just isn't your game.
>>
File: ?.jpg (53KB, 540x311px) Image search: [Google]
?.jpg
53KB, 540x311px
>>55053271
I can't be any more queer than I already am, anon.
>>
>>55053186
Nobody thinks you're a min maxer for taking somewhat optimal stats.
>>
>>55053243
>+15
How
>>
>>55053313
+5 from Str, +10 from GWM.
>>
>>55053313
GWM adds +10 to the damage roll but -5 to the attack roll.

But later in the game the -5 becomes trivial while the +10 remains very powerful, as single attack power doesn't really go up that much, but accuracy and number of attacks both do.
>>
>>55053315
Holy fuck all this time I heard that GWM is very powerful but I just took everyone's word for it and never read the feat until now. Jesus fuck
>>
File: sad.gif (1MB, 480x351px) Image search: [Google]
sad.gif
1MB, 480x351px
>>55053338
Reminder that if you miss with a Great Weapon Attack and have superiority dice left, you can retroactively declare a Precision Strike maneuver and change that miss into a hit.

You can do the same thing with Sharpshooter.
>>
Whens the next arcana?
>>
>>55053394
September 4th.
>>
>>55053368
Holy fuck I'm CUMMING
>>
>>55053399
Ah ok. Do we have any idea what it will be about?
>>
>>55053424
All we know is that for the foreseeable future, UAs will be based on subsystem expansion or variants (like the XP and initiative UAs were).
>>
>>55053410
Yeah, you basically get the Great Weapon Master extra damage for no penalty at all if you're using Precision Strike.
>>
>>55053298
I like 5e, I just don't like what most of the people who play it have to say about it.
> DM / Player / Dog playing for the first time, how do I read the book?
> Eldritch blast?
> What do you guys think of my very specific homebrew for exactly my campaign with no other context?
> Woah check out my sweet Barbarian 1/Bard1/Cleric1/Fighter1/Monk1/Ranger1/Rogue1/Sorcerer1/Warlock2/Wizard10 multiclass
>Eldritch blast?

Nobody ever talks about spell combos, or synergy between classes, or monsters that go well together in an encounter.

>>55053304
You'd be surprised how often I see that on other forums.
>>
>>55053438
Well the penalty is not using that superiority die for something else.

You still have to choose between either (maybe, you might still miss if you roll poorly) hitting with your +15 damage, or doing +15 +1d8 + trip or whatever else.

But it is a good move obviously.
>>
>>55053460
You are letting a loud minority get to you.

Just play with normal people. I have plenty of well adjusted adult friends who like to get together, drink a few, and roll some dice. We get into the game once a moth or so and nobody gets bent out of shape.

I moved away from them and tried to set up a game by looking toward the FLGS nearby. Full of mouthebreathing autists. So yeah, I get why you might have the perception. I finally thought, "oh, these are the fuckers /tg/ complains about" and never went back.

But you live in a year where things like GoT and Stranger Things are extremely popular. The current edition of DnD is very accessible and the introductory modules are pretty well written and easy to get into.

Don't be discouraged if your experience with the existing community is limited to a few shitty outliers. Go grab some friends and run a game, a few will stick and you'll find yourself in a long-term group in no time.
>>
>>55053186
Yes, play your 12/14/10/16/12/14 Battlemaster Fighter, have fun asshole.

Optimizing your stats based on the class you play isn't even minmaxing, it makes sense. If you've been training to be a Fighter it makes sense to have above average strength and constitution, for example, because you've been honing your body towards this specific purpose. And if you're a Wizard your Int is obviously gonna be high because you've been a scholar all your life.

That said, what class is the best class in the game according to you? Even if it's not the best, Wizards are still really good. I also don't see what's wrong with Sentinel + PAM, it might not have the raw damage that PAM + GWM has but it does turn your frontliner into a more effective wall, which may be more useful in your party.
>>
File: The Librarian malignanttoast.jpg (219KB, 800x931px) Image search: [Google]
The Librarian malignanttoast.jpg
219KB, 800x931px
Are there any standard-ish character tropes you have not yet tried playing, /5eg/?
>>
Volo's guide to monsters or tome of beasts?
>>
>>55053703
Volo's.
>>
>>55053703
Yes.
>>55053549
I don't like playing wizards or any casters at all
>>
File: psionics.png (279KB, 898x790px) Image search: [Google]
psionics.png
279KB, 898x790px
>>55052820
Mystic in AL is the bane of my fucking existence.

Every fucking campaign that I run inevitably at some point involves running into a PC that takes Mystic, which the player affectionately describes as "an epic fucking psion who can put out over 176 damage with his buddies. every turn"

Mystic wanders the countryside with a unique set of abilities powered by "mind magic" shoved up his brain, and he casts his psionic shit by noggin his joggin. He says nothing but his own name in different inflections and the phrase "He Shiva Shankara, ommmmmmmmm mane padme hummmm." The player thinks it's hilarious to have this character show up during the middle of encounters we're struggling at and start jerking off totally-not-magic everywhere.

But the worst part is his chant. He wanders around chanting his name, so when he's about to show up the GM will start low;
Tee-hee-hee, I am Mystic in AL
Tee-hee-hee, I am Mystic in AL
And then get louder and louder until he's fucking shouting
TEE HEE HEE, I AM MYSTIC IN AL!
TEE HEE HEE, I AM MYSTIC IN AL!

And the table loves it! The other guys I play with think this is the best shit! Mystic has been our table's de-facto inside joke, our signature "running gag" for a month now. When that chant starts up, everyone else joins in like a ritual; the whole table is expected to start chanting "TEE HEE HEE, I AM MYSTIC IN AL!" by the end, and every fucking time I refuse because this is some embarrassing circa-2517 soft "sci-fi" shit, it's always the same thing; "There goes user again! No fun allowed around user! Anon's just a big grouch who's getting angry because we're smashing the encounter with Mantle of Command again! Why won't you just let us have fun with this character, he's just here for dumb powertripping, you stick-in-the mud!"

These motherfuckers are all over 20 years old.

Mystic in AL is going to be the death of me.
>>
>>55053497
My problem isn't with the people I play with, it's that I have a lot of free time and haven't found a community that has discussions about 5e that interest me.

>>55053521
I think you misread or misunderstood my comment about 12 or less con. The comment about sentinel and pole arm master is directed towards people who would say you should always take those two feats in order on any character who can use martial weapons. Paladin is the best class in the game.
>>
>>55053773

How old is this pasta? I havent seen it yet
>>
File: dumb assholes.jpg (35KB, 460x345px) Image search: [Google]
dumb assholes.jpg
35KB, 460x345px
>>55053827
It's an edit of this: http://veekyforums.com/thread/53778223/games/teehee-maccaroni-is-the-bane-of-my-fucking.html
>>
File: autshroom.jpg (83KB, 403x440px) Image search: [Google]
autshroom.jpg
83KB, 403x440px
>>55053827
I just made it from the original TEHEE MACCARONI thing
>>
>>55053853
this site looks hella gay
>>
>>55053281
>>
>>55053823
Well to be honest, if you're stating things like 'you should always take X feat combined with Y feat' that does constitute powergaming in itself, but it's not as if discussion on which builds are better than others should be outlawed. It's still an RPG, and your character can focus on raw combat efficiency as well.

Why Paladin specifically? They're really good but it depends on the situation as well as the level you're playing at, no? I don't have any numbers or anything but it feels to me that wizards are more versatile as well as having access to a few extremely powerful spells that can potentially end combat in a single turn.
>>
I'm designing a boss fight for a level 17/18 party that consists of 3 mostly melee martials and one evocation wizard.

The boss itself is a fallen Solar that also has some kind of lair actions. The room where the fight is will be large and open without many obstacles. I want to add a few devils to the fight, but I'm unsure on how many or how strong they should be.

How hard do you think the fight will be, and what monsters should I consider?
>>
>>55053977
Seriously? Isn't that a bit excessive? They'd be level 5 when they finish. I don't want to kill them too soon but I still want the dungeon to be sufficiently tense.
>>
>>55054011
Try bearded or at most barbed
>>
>>55053424
All I can say is don't get your hopes up. It won't be as good as "UA Food and Provisions"
>>
>>55054195
Wait is that a thing? I missed it if it is.
>>
>>55052820

I'm going to be a Variant Human Oath of Vengeance Paladin with the Sentinel feat. Should I go for a DEX build or a STR build?
>>
>>55054419
STR is probably best for most Sentinel builds, since it works best with reach weapons and the only finesse reach weapon is the whip.
>>
>>55053161
>what PDFs?
the AL pdfs for Tomb of anal Annhiliation
>>
>>55054439

What about 1h and shield though? I was less concerned about reach, because I was thinking of just running up to the most powerful enemy and locking him down in close combat so escape became nigh on impossible for it
>>
DM's, what PC-viable races are you disinclined to give the okay to due to your setting? Do you replace the availability of one race option with another?
>>
>>55054588
ToA isn't out yet I believe
>>
>>55054594
You're missing out on a fair bit of value if you skip Reach with Sentinel - the extended range means you can essentially be a brick wall for your party.
>>
>>55054594
>>55054647
Plus pick up Tunnel Fighter if your DM allows it. Reach + Tunnel Fighter + Sentinel = enemies never moving ever again
>>
>>55054631
I personally ok all non homebrew stuff my setting is a kitchen sink and really wouldn't be all that effected by a kenku or tabaxi running around.
>>
>>55054647

Well say I preferred to roll with non-reach, which feats would be more conducive to a build like that than sentinel?
>>
>>55054668
Oh don't get me wrong, Sentinel still works with that build. You can still tank pretty well, just a more specific tank than with Reach.
>>
>>55054631
I dislike letting most Volo's PC races as PC's.

Goblins are fine as adventurers, even though goblins are the typical "raid small towns and get all their loot" creatures that are in EVERY campaign ever, yet nobody seems to have an issue with the kobold/goblin rogue following the party around?
Meanwhile Drow are generally "Kill this thing on sight" even though they're just underground elves.
>>
File: image.jpg (55KB, 527x479px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
55KB, 527x479px
What are all the storm based archetypes? I want to make a rival NPC party and want to have a theme. UA included.
>>
>>55054631
I disallow most monster races and generally stick to PHB stuff.

As far as replacement goes, I've replaced Half Orcs with Actual Orcs, and Half Elves have become their own distinct race of humanoids... but this is just because I took the Elder Scrolls approach where half-races don't exist and a child always shares the same race as it's mother in any viable coupling.
>>
What kind if things would one find if value in a shooting star?

Would you give weapons made from it some special properties?
>>
I'm playing a wizard that's just hit 6th level, and I'm pretty sure I'm going to be (re-)encountering a dickhead necromancer with some serious man-behind-the-curtain political power.
Obviously I want to usurp the throne, but the obstacle of actually killing the necromancer himself is a problem - last session we killed a few clones of him but he was tossing Blights at us like it weren't no thing.
I'm looking at spells to add to my spellbook for 6th level, but I can't find any way to resist or negate save-for-half-damage necrotic spells. Am I fucked?
Other party members are a cleric and a barb.
>>
>>55054743
Storm Rager barbarian, Tempest Cleric, storm Sorcerer, some druid circles, like Artic or something, I don't knowm
>>
>>55054780
Counterspell might help
>>
>>55054743
Not sure about others but there's Tempest Cleric in the PHB and Magic of the Storm Sorcerous Origin in the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide.
>>
>>55054636
it isn't but the season 7 modules got released
was hoping someone might've had them
>>
>>55054805
I have counterspell but beefed the roll (Blight is 4th level) and would prefer something more reliable. Slow seems unuseful against someone with a serial consciousness across multiple bodies, is turreting up in a Tiny Hut worthwhile or painting a target on my head?
>>
>>55054780
You could try blinding him or maybe going invisible yourself - save-resisted spells usually depend on visual contact in more or less crucial manner,
>>
>>55053703

Volo's.
>>
>>55054876
Tiny Hut has a minute for casting time, and a necromancer can likely dispel it
>>
>>55054855
What are the seaon 7 modules?
>>
>>55054662
>>55054683

Oh jesus, add to that polearm master... Looks like I'm going to be RPing as a blender
>>
How much prep would you say is required to run CoS? I'm reading through the module and it's a well built area full of details.

What can I do to turn it into a mini adventure instead of a full fledged campaign? Going on vacation soon with friends and they all want to play. I thought I'd surprise them with some prepped stuff.
>>
>>55055251
Not without making it a huge disservice
>>
5etools question

https://github.com/astranauta/astranauta.github.io

I'm trying to use the plugin to import some monsters, but when imported they have a character sheet instead of a npc sheet, so I can't click on any special attributes to roll them (e.g. multi-attack/bite) because they aren't present.

Additionally, when rolling the ability checks and saving throws, they are GM rolls instead of public.

Anyway to remedy this? I'm probably doing something dumb.
>>
I'll be playing in an upcoming homebrew campaign, and I'd prefer to play a mounted ranger.

I'll be using the revised ranger and have the option of MC-ing if it doesn't leave too big a power gap between other players.
Also, spears have the finesse property in exchange for losing the thrown property.

I'm thinking of picking up alert (+9 to initiative with advantage form natural explorer), and other feats depending on my build.

I'll be using a Stout Hafling and we rolled for stats giving:
18 (with racial)
18 (with racial)

I figure I can build this two ways, mounted/ melee, or ranged. HM is damage including Hunter's Mark.
For mounted/ melee I figure using a shield and duelling or two weapon fighting style works the best. I figure I'll be using a wolf for mount, as it'll benefit from pack tactics the whole time. The wolf's ASI will be used to boost dex, giving it a higher initiative count.

Duelling gives 17 AC with shield and leather armor, or 18 with scale.

A lance would give 1d12+3 (9.5) (13 HM) and reach, a spear 1d6+6 (9.5) (13 HM) with reach, a rapier 1d8+6 (10.5) (14 HM) which doesn't have reach.
Spear has a slightly lower max damage, but a better bonus to attack rolls (+3 vs +6).
For duelling I would have 15 (leather) or 16 armour (scale), and (1d6+4)*2 for 7.5 (11 HM) per average hit, and no reach.

Viable feats could be mounted combatant, shield master, defensive dualist and Dual wielder (+1 ac, 10.5 average per hit).

For ranged I'd pick crossbow master and possibly sharpshooter (SS). That would give a potential 1d6+6 (9.5) (13 HM) (19.5 SS) (23 HM + SS).

I have a few more options for pets here: Ape (ranged support, climb speed, can be ridden), panther (best speed, stealth, climb speed, pounce isn't great for archery), brown bear (tanky, good speed, good climb speed), giant boar (extra damage, most AC and HP, good speed), and wolf (fighting with teammates, adv. on attacks. when ridden).
>>
>>55055251
Well depends on h ow long you want to play. If you just want a few evenings you might just run Death House, which requires very little prep.

If you really want to properly run the campaign you do need to know the world pretty well I'm told, since it's very open ended and you as the DM won't even know where all the crucial items are located until you do the card reading.
>>
>>55055400
Go with Range Wolf. Knocking Prone + Crossbow Mastery = Tons of advantage.
>>
>>55055474
Shooting a prone target would give me disadvantage, unless I'm hidden which would nullify the disadvantage. Or does CBE nullify the ranged disadvantage on prone targets?
>>
how dangerous are intellect devourers truely and how easily can they get into your head
>>
Hey gents, I'm trying to convince my DM to run us through a premade adventure (CoS) in the mean time what are some good books i can read about Strahd? The only forgotten realms stuff I've read so far is all of the Legend of Drizzt and the Sellswords, as well as the sword mage series by Richard Baker.
>>
>>55055535
To add on to this, any good FR recommendations are welcome, I'm fiending for some good reads.
>>
>>55055535
>>55055548
If you DM is running Curse of Strahd, let him do the reading. Your character most likely wouldn't know anything about Boravia or Strahd. Don't be a metagaming piece of shit.
>>
>>55055530
Read prone condition again. If you are within 5 feet, you get advantage, doesn't matter if you're melee or range. CBE allow you to shoot within 5 feet without penalty.

on the otherhands, if polearm user are screw by prone if they are further than 5 feet.
>>
>>55053424

Probably another shitty UA like Greyhawk Initiative or Three Pillars Experience
>>
>>55055558
I apologise for the confusion, he hasn't agreed to run it yet. I'm just looking for book recommendations for leisure reading in the mean time. And to get hype
>>
>>55055548
> I'm fiending for some good reads
At their best, FR books are what you'd call "airport fiction" things. And whether you enjoy them or not will heavily depend on the author, since by and large a lot of FR writers have a very obvious "voice" to their work. Greenwood, Salvatore, Schend, and so on are examples of this.
>>
>>55055578
I take it you're not a huge fan then lol?
>Airport fiction
It's funny you say that, i picked up The road of the Patriarch in the airport actually
>>
>>55055548

Not forgotton realms
>>
>>55055531
They're one of the easiest ways to insta-kill a player, especially at such a low CR. Good for putting the fear in them.
>>
>>55055614
So, would antilife shell work to keep them out?
>>
>>55055594
I've read stuff from all of them, liked or disliked it to various degrees. But it really does depend, so it's less "I don't like it" and more me saying that if you're after "good" reads then it will strongly depend on whether or not you like how particular FR authors write.
>>
>>55055629
Yes, because they're aberrations and not undead or constructs, but if you know there's an intellect devourer coming and you have a 5th-level spell slot to spare, why not just kill it?
>>
>>55055438
How long would Death House take game time? I thought it was a one day thing. If it can keep us busy for 10+ hours awesome but I doubt that.
>>
>>55055602
What would you recommend?
>>
>>55055679
I don't know, because Its nice to have a plan B
>>
Hey guys what's your experience with online groups on Roll20? I don't know many people other than my current group that play DnD and I want to get another session going per week and I don't really know the best way to find other campaigns
>>
>>55055710
If your plan A was a fireball and it didn't work, you're not dealing with an intellect devourer.
>>
File: RIP.jpg (123KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
RIP.jpg
123KB, 1000x1000px
>>55055754
Nobody gets good games from public Roll20 listings, but after awhile you might be able to fish enough good players from the ocean of shit to form your own private game that doesn't suck.
>>
>>55055797
I'm more of a utility caster, I also don't have fireball because I'm a druid
>>
>>55055754
I get my players from roll20 lfg listings. Every recruitment round from 25% to 100% of the new guys quit, not show up or are shit and need to be kicked but eventually a working party can be established and you just do new recruitment round when somebody has to drop out.

Do mind this is from DM's perspective where people are dying to play and I can be picky.
>>
What's the best weapon to use with PAM?
>>
>>55055811
Then what you actually want to prepare is Remove Curse and/or Greater Restoration to save someone who got his Int drained. Maybe also Revivify, though it's a judgment call whether that works on someone without a brain.
>>
>>55055862
Which I can cast from inside my antilife shell
>>
>>55055576
Sorry for the vitriol. But still, it's probably best to read stuff post campaign, so that you won't (accidentally) metagame, or be let down when you DM plays Strahd differently than in the books.
I don't have any book recommendations, but you could always read the original module, and subsequent edition releases. Not exactly novel material, but it might scratch your itch.
>>
>>55055862
> it's a judgment call whether that works on someone without a brain

Why wouldn't it work? (not the op)
>>
>>55055917
Just as a note, druids don't even get revivify
>>
>>55054743
>>55054794
If you need more than those three you could refluff Sun soul monk. Swap the radiant damage for lightning or thunder and swap out burning hands with thunderwave.
>>
>>55055853
A polearm
>>
>>55055862
>>55055917
Revivify work even on Undead and Construct, Not having a brain is probably not a problem for it.
>>
Is there a list of spells that can be Twin Spell'ed? The description is just confusing.
>>
>>55056002
No, the thing is it had a brain, but now it doesn't, does it restore the brain?
>>
How do you actually run a hydra fight?
>Whenever it takes more than 25 damage in a turn, it loses one head
>At the end of the turn it grows 2 more heards and regains 10 hp per head unless it takes fire damage

So, you need fire to actually beat it?
>>
>>55056051
The heads only die at 25 damage per turn, so you just need to do less damage than that (a turn means a player turn I think, so you can still do more damage as a group per round).

Also, even if it regenerates a head it only gains 10HP, vs the 25HP it'd lost when losing the head. It'll take a while but it'll go down eventually. Just put your heavy armor dudes in the front I guess.
>>
Help me pick my cantrips:
1 for High Elf
2 for Arcane Trickster (+Mage Hand which is mandatory)
3 for MC into Wizard

Gotta make 'em count.
>>
>>55056123
Sorry, misread a little bit. It'd gain 20HP since it regenerates two heads per head lost. Still a net loss of HP but it does mean you need to try and stick to about 20 damage per turn.
>>
How do you handle month(s) long breaks during the campaign?

Normally we play every week, with occasional skips, but we have been playing since September and we all really enjoy it.

Since the start of Summer we couldn't really gather and play, and the story is just left hanging. I want to get back to it since I prepared a lot of stuff but I'm not sure the group will ever have another chance. The earliest we can do is October and even then one of the players is moving away.

We are all in talks and want to continue. Do I just scratch and run something new? Do I replace that player/introduce a new character? How do I even set the mood again after such a long break?
>>
>>55054753
Well, I go the same way but my approach is replacing Half Orcs with barbaric Goliaths and Half Elves with friendly Catfolk with the same mentality that no half shit should be allowed just to give a race an snowflake magnet when elves already existed.
>>
>>55053460
>Spell combos
I like the idea proposed by skeletor-anon a few threads ago where using animate dead as a 6th lvl Necromancer coupled with 5th lvl warlock shortrest spellslots can let you be a really interesting necromancer with 16+ skeletons.

>spell combos
Using illusionist lvl6 ability on the 'creation' spell to turn a piece of string into a 3.5 tonne iron block. Then turning it back next turn, then repeating ad infinitum for 1hr.

>Create a piece of rock and tie it to an arrow, have your ranger shoot the arrow directly upward 600ft. It comes back hitting the ground at 200m/s but before it hits use 6th lvl wizard ability to turn it into 6000lb platinum block. DM should let you insta-kill with this provided you can keep the captive still for 4 rounds while grtavity does its thing.
>>
With the way warlock pact magic works and say you're a warlock 3/paladin 2, if you smite as a paladin, does your smite deal 3d8 radiant damage due to using a 2nd level spell slot?
>>
>>55056134
High Elf: totally depends on the class. In general, Mending comes in handy a lot and has more potential than any other cantrip for derailing an adventure.

Arcane Trickster: Be a gnome or halfling and hide inside your Minor Illusions. Maybe GFB instead, since you only get one sneak attack a turn anyway.

MC into wizard: Assuming you're doing this for the normal wizardy reasons, you'd take the normal wizardy cantrips. I like Acid Splash for its potential to hit two things at once.
>>
>>55056363

It doesn't specify in the Divine Smite feature that it uses a Paladin spell slot, so yes you calculate damage based on the level of the slot since there's no reason you can't use warlock spell slots for it.
>>
>>55056363
Depends on what level spell slot you use. Warlocks don't follow the usual rules for multiclassing. A warlock 3/paladin 2 has two 2nd-level spell slots (from Pact Magic) and two 1st-level spell slots (from Spellcasting.)
>>
File: 31P7PvorbSL.jpg (12KB, 407x500px) Image search: [Google]
31P7PvorbSL.jpg
12KB, 407x500px
How bullshit-y is it to ask the DM if I can create my own weapon?

I want something like pic related because there are a worrying amount of skeletons but having an axe to break down doors and shit is also handy.
>>
>>55056436
>what is a great axe
>>
>>55056389

Shocking Grasp is always fun.
>>
Planning on making an Aarakocra ranged specialist to be proficient in with hand crossbows, light/heavy crossbows, and a whip.

What do you think the best class I should go for this? I assume ranger but I kinda don't want to be a ranger, something a little different like mercenary or gun for hire or something.
>>
>>55056468
It's true that Shocking Grasp is better than some whole subclasses.
>>
>>55056436
As long as the stats mimic what is already in the PHB, you can fluff shit up about what you are using.
Go for using an oversize tree trunk as a maul and few will take any issue.
Its only get annoying if you are trying to demand a better stats for your snowflake weapon.
>>
>>55056389
I meant all three of those things together.
>>
>>55056407
>>55056424
Oh sweet, thanks heaps bros!
>>
>>55056436
If you can't break down doors with a maul, something's wrong with you.
>>
>>55056506
If you can't do a controlled burn on the door theres something wrong
or its a stone door
>>
>>55056298
>be level 14 bard
>pick magic jar and simmulacrum
>Magic Jar a shape changers body like a lycan trope or something
>Make a simulacrum of yourself in that body

Enjoy your extra features including extra inspirations
>>
>>55056134
Minor illusion, booming Blade, Message, mending, green flame blade, and either shocking grasp for Familiar delivery, prestidigitation for blowing out candles and Firebolt for ranged spell attack
>>
>>55056526
you can still do it, just needs more time
>>
>>55056488
>please DM let me use a d12 for my whip damage
>>
>>55054668
Shield master works well on most enemies. Plus if they stand up they need to burn movement, which doesn't lock them down as well as Sentinel, but advantage for your buddies is a nice bonus too.
>>
>>55055706

Eberron or Dark Sun
>>
>>55056720
At that point i'm already stone shaping the lock off
>>
>>55056722

Whips should be d6 honestly, d4 is too weak for a martial weapon.
>>
>>55056783
Its a reach weapon that you can duel wield i think D4 is fine
>>
Any advice on optimizing a swashbucker rogue?

I'm thinking of variant human with 2handed feat and the menacing feat, but I'm unsure of background
>>
>>55056783
d6 would be too strong

>>55056801
They're finesse, not light
>>
>>55056845
By 2 handed I mean dual wielding
>>
So I'm trying to build a barbarian druid grappler. Does the beserkers frenzy carry over into wild shape and more importantly can I replace the bonus action attack with a grapple attempt or shove attempt?

If I can use the frenzy bonus to grapple I'll probably build 3 lvls of barbarian and to the rest druid, but if I can't I'll probably only take one lvl of barbarian.
>>
>>55056471
bump
>>
Homebrewing a short campaign set in a mountain-locked town. Any suggestions on fun subterrainian "water themed" enemies? The segment will be set in an underground cavern system with luminescent crystals and water ways.
>>
>>55056941
Theres stuff like cave fishers and giant crayfish
>>
>>55056862

Too strong compared to what?

>>55056801

Duel wield with a feat, but then you can duel wield rapiers with a feat and get an average of 2 more damage.

A d6 is reasonable, a d4 is weak
>>
>>55056957
Yeah, was considering cave fishers. I really want something a bit more comic though. Something whimsical like water Fey or elemental lizards of some kind. Something with flavor, ya know?
>>
>>55057011
Rapier don't get reach.
>>
>>55057018
I think older editions had some kind of electric lizard if thats what you're looking for
>>
>>55057011
>Too strong compared to what?
compared to clubs and daggers

But they should have a Special tag, similar to the Net. Instead of damage you can choose to restrain or grapple someone basically eating up their action to free etc etc.
>>
>>55057057

So you get to vhose between reach od 2 more damagr

Reach isn't that strong bro

>>55057069
>A martial weapon would be stronger than a simple weapon

Jesus fucking christ are you retarded? Of coruse a martial weapon should be stronger than a simple weapon.
>>
>>55057096
>So you get to vhose between reach od 2 more damagr

Yes, rapier if you want more damage.
Whip if you want more reach.
>>
How do I survive as a rogue until I get my bonus action to disengage?
>>
>>55057123
Throw daggers
>>
>>55057096
>"martials should be stronger than simples"

> scimitar, shortsword, trident martial wpn 1d6

> great club simple wpn 1d8

Compare: a shortsword, a dagger and a whip. Which one would it be closer to damage wise?
>>
>>55056139
If you can't continue with the existing group, don't. If you start a new group, even if it's made mostly (or even only) of members of the existing group, make it a different game.

For resetting the mood: Do a "clip show episode" at the start of a session, ask players to recall their favourite/scariest/most exciting/happiest/etc moments from previous games. In-world if possible, failing that still in-character if possible, or at the very least from their character's perspective/opinion.
>>
>>55057116

Yeah, but rapier gets 4 more average damage when duel wielded, my suggestion would make it a difference of 2 more damage.

1 to 2 damage average and 2 to 4 damage max (if duel wielding) seems more of a fair tradeoff than 2 to 4 damage average and 4 to 8 damage max.
>>
>>55057155

Great clubs are two handed weapons, they're not in competition with scimitar, shortseord or ttident, they're in competition with greatswords, greataxes and mauls.
>>
>>55057158
What about the other players though? I'm sure they would want to continue playing the same character with their progression.

I'm reading thru CoS now to maybe try it out. Not sure about it.

For the mood: So like a regular "last we left off" but a longer more detailed one. Sure makes sense. Should I tell or should I leave it to them to RP?
>>
I am DMing a campaing in a week and I am allowing some UA. One of the players that is more into roleplaying and not so much in power gaming wants to have Favored Soul Sorcerer. Should I allow her o is it too OP?
>>
>>55057198
>Blowgun martial wpn 1 damage

>dart simple wpn 1d4 finesse AND not "loading"

Not all martials are better than simples.
>>
As far as whips go I just replace finesse with versatile and bump them up to 1d8/10.

>>55057234
There's at least three iterations of Favored Soul. You need to be more specific.
>>
>>55057212
I guess it depends how you balance the one person's "you carried on without me?" vs the rest of the group's "we want to keep playing THESE guys" - if there's a chance of playing with the full group (even over voice comms instead of in person), my opinion is that the marginal disadvantage to the leaver/returner is greater than the combined marginal disadvantage (vs still playing with you and each other but different characters) to the remainers.

For mood i'd use guided/directed questions, only correcting if they're misunderstanding the question entirely or make shit up. Once people are back into the swing of thinking like their characters, segue into however you normally do your recaps
>>
>>55057287
Whats the more advanced?
>>
>>55057306
>>55057287
balanced*
>>
>>55053460
>Monster that go well together
I legitimately want some suggestions for good monster synergy.
>>
>>55057248

Blowgun is the exception to ths rule

I have no idea why they exist.

But honestly, whips are meant to be the martial upgrade to daggers, but they're not really much of an upgrade, because you can't duel wield whips, and throwing a dagger is better than reach.
>>
>>55057324
Its to give the jungle monkeys a weapon to use anon
>>
>>55057324
blowguns are for delivering poison silently at range
>>
Damage aside, can whips be fun and useful to use and fight with? i've always been curious
>>
>>55057348
I know someone who plays a bugbear dominatrix that uses a whip, sounds like a good time
>>
>>55057330
But you always reveal yourself after hitting a target.
>>
>>55057368
You reveal that 'someone' exists, if you're fast enough you've moved away from the position you had when you took the shot, and if you're quiet enough they shouldn't be able to get a proper bead on your before you've dropped the second person or so.
>>
What fits more for a Not-Gundam, a Hexblade bladelock or a Stone Sorcerer?
>>
>>55057401
>If you are hidden—both unseen and unheard—when you make an attack, you give away your location when the attack hits or misses.

Stop being retarded.
>>
>>55057442
English anon
>>
>>55057451
>location includes identity
>location cannot be changed
>knowing that there is someone behind some cover or concealment removes that cover or concealment
>>
>>55057588
Warforged gish-type using a sword and at times blasting things interchangeably.

Aint my fault you've never heard of them
>>
>>55057663
That's certainly not a Gundam. But everything in D&D is not a Gundam, so you had to narrow it down.
>>
>>55057663
Bladelock
>>
>>55057663
Like the other anon said, bladelock for consistent good ranged.

Eldritch Knight for good melee and good buffs.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (14KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
14KB, 480x360px
I'm working on a homebrew Warlock patron based off a symbiotic relationship with a parasitic creature that manifests itself as armor. Here is my (very) rough draft:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1VeyWaxSsO0CTS2fwIdGMv0ZSNWZdoJeIMheS4tGbw18/edit?usp=sharing

The theme is combat with an emphasis on protection and exploitation of vulnerabilities. High risk high reward, somewhat.

Let me know what you think, and what I should change.
>>
>>55057695
Well of course, it's just a silly thought that came to mind, since I realized that Warlocks and Wizards get Animate Objects, I could use a bunch of daggers or something as funnels/fangs.
>>55057737
>>55057782
I'll keep it in mind then. I woulda gone with EK, but unfortunately it doesn't get the aforementioned spell
>>
what if you're getting wailed on and are on low HP about to die

if you're druid and wild shape into a big something with a lot of HP, do you gain the wild shapes full HP or do you subtract the HP you lost in regular form from the wild shapes?
>>
>>55056488

I was more thinking about having a d8 axe and a d8 hammer in one. If skeletons, turn the head around to have bludgeoning damage, without having to draw a new weapon.
>>
Is there any decent mystic guide out there? The way there are for other classes?

I am about to DM for one, and I heard the damned thing is mined with trap options
>>
>>55056845

Or go High Elf and always hit with booming blade?
>>
>>55057348
Spell sniper + Booming Blade area control is fun. Especially if you also have spirit guardian or similar spell up.
>>
>>55058049
Why would anyone make a Mystic guide right now? The class will be change at least 2 more times, it's a waste of time to write a guide now.
>>
>>55058100
Because some people are playing it right now...?
>>
>>55058006
If I am the DM, I won't care much and simply allow it.
Some may simply request you to take up a exotic weapon proficiency feat.
Speak to your own DM first.
>>
>>55058116

Why would anyone play a Mystic right now? The class will be change at least 2 more times, it's a waste of time to play one now.
>>
>>55058137
Because they want to, and have the time for it
>>
>>55058116
Then you are expect to actually try out the various option that the class provide and give feedback to WotC. Both the good options and the bad options.

You are not suppose to only take cookie cutter build from guide and provide nothing of value to the final class design.
>>
>>55058203
What ever happened to making a flawed character
>>
>>55058203
O just want to avoid recommending trap options
>>
>>55058137

WOTC will come to your house and make you change your character.
>>
>>55058244
W-Will WotC send a cutiepie at l-least?
>>
>>55058243
>trap options
It's a fucking playtest, dude! People need to play the "trap options" so that they can be adjusted!
>>
>>55052869
The module hands out pretty strong magical items fairly often. Just go along with that.
>>
>>55058293
No, it will be mearls himself
>>
>>55058303
so...yes?
>>
when you choose your wild shapes can you pick different ones later on or nah? you stu k with the ones when you make the character??
>>
>>55057987
The full hp. Same with polymorph. Turning nearly dead PC's into beefy animals is a tried and true way of keeping someone alive.
>>
File: IMG_1826.png (2MB, 1060x810px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1826.png
2MB, 1060x810px
>>55058322
Nigga this ain't 3e
>>
>>55058294
>>55058243
Actually DM are expect to adjust UA content (as part of the feedback too). By Mearl own words, these document were written in paper not ink.

If you aren't capable of that then don't allow UA.
>>
>>55058322
You don't choose your wild shapes, if it is a valid choice on the table for your level then you can wild shape into it. The only limit is how many per day you get, not how many different animals you can choose from.
>>
>>55058333
never druided before in 3e or 5e never even played 3e
>>
>>55054012
They shouldn't be level 5 when they finish if you are using xp
>>
>>55058322
> Starting at 2nd level, you can use your action to magically assume the shape of a beast that you have seen before. You can use this feature twice. You regain expended uses when you finish a short or long rest.

> Beast that you have seen before

> Your druid level determines the beasts you can transform into, as shown in the Beast Shapes table. At 2nd level, for example, you can transform into any beast that has a challenge rating of 1/4 or lower that doesn't have a flying or swimming speed.

> Any beast
> Any
>>
>>55058350
>>55058373
okay yeah i was confused about that part, just my character sheet had only 4 wild shape slots and i thought that was the limit soz
>>
File: 1503539716242.png (283KB, 649x671px) Image search: [Google]
1503539716242.png
283KB, 649x671px
>>55058356
>>
>>55058386
fuck off anime girl let me listen to this deep purple guitar solo
>>
>>55058385
AL sheet was a mistake
>>
>>55058373
I want to wildshape into a lusty horse with a big dick.
>>
>>55058400
What did he mean by this
>>
>>55058415
>>55058415
There is no specific stat block for that... Unless your DM is also into that shit
>>
>>55058415
Nope, you turn into an average horse with an average dick
>>
>>55058442
that's my fetish
>>
>>55058449
Whatever rocks your knocks anon
>>
>>55057167
If you're using a two-handed Strength-based weapon you have to make a similar choice, the only real options being either a d10 reach weapon like the pike or a 2d6 maul or greatsword. 5.5 vs 7 average damage, it's only 0.5HP in damage difference.
>>
>>55058442
I bet in many settings, male druids are celebrities among womenfolk in cities.
>>
>>55058370
Strahd doesn't use XP for leveling, but rather milestones, and I don't want to alter things that much from how it's written.
>>
>>55058370
>using xp

What kind of a plebeian are you?

>>55058552
I had a group of 3 players start at level 2. Had to adjust some encounters, but even if they die you have the option of doing the whole "make a deal with the Dark Powers to come back to life" thing.
>>
>>55058536
Moon druids do get alter self at will at 14th level, that means their dick can be however big they want it to be
>>
>>55056783
With the fighting style to go with them, greatsword does 8.33, rapier does 6.5, glaive does 6.3 and whip does 4.5. 1d4 is "just right" for a one-handed reach weapon.
>>
>>55056888
No, it has to be a melee weapon attack.
>>
https://kotaku.com/dungeons-dragons-promises-to-make-the-game-more-queer-1798401117
>>
>>55058603
Yeah, it just feels like level 1 is way too low. The specter in particular can probably one-hit kill your average Wizard if you're not careful, thanks to the HP drain.

I think I'll just start them at level 2. I doubt it'll make it a cakewalk, in any case.
>>
What are the best maneuvers for a Hand Crossbow Fighter?
I know Precision Attack is obligatory for SS memes, but I'm at a loss for my other picks.
>>
It looks like the Druid in our party is going to be our primary healer (since the rest of us are Rogue, Ranger, and Monk).

How should he build?
>>
>>55058665
who cares
>>
What's a fun build for a wizard?
I'll be playing a wizard who uses a paintbrush as his focus, his spellbook being a sketchpad, so I was thinking Illusion or Conjuration.
But looking through the spell list, most of the spells for those schools seem fairly unimaginative, so I was just wondering is anyone else here had played a Conjurer or Illusionist and could spare some ideas.
>>
>>55058723
There's a number of ways to play Druid, but why are you asking for advice on another person's build?

>>55058665
Literally who cares.
>>
>>55058723
he should build however he feels like because "healer" isn't a role in DnD
>>
>>55058710
can you disarm at a range? if so, snipe peoples swords out of their hands.
>>
>>55058385
They want you to write down animals you have seen in game. I'm not sure where, but it's something they're trying out.
>>
>>55058762
Yes it is.
>>
No, it's not.
>>
>>55058751
>>55058762
He asked me to help with suggestions.
>>
>>55058771
That's a good one. Drop their weapon off and tell the melee fellas to kick it away.
>>
>>55058793
how he should build really depends on how the rogue and ranger are built. if they're both melee, something with more healing and crowd control/utility would be useful. if they're both ranged, just go moon druid and focus on melee.
>>55058809
i was mostly thinking because it sounds fun and flavorful as fuck. medieval equivalent of a gunslinger shooting the weapon out of bandits hand.
>>
What should I do when players freak out over basic monster features? I've got guys that freak out and call bullshit when an orc uses Aggressive or when giant crocs grapple characters.
>>
>>55058723
If he wants to go full healing memes and UA is allowed tell him to go circle of dreams
>>
>>55052820
So the best thing to do as a magic user versus enemies that are surprised is use area spells which do damage at the end of enemy's turns, right?
If my druid uses insect plague, they take damage on my turn when I cast it, their turns when they can't act because they're surprised, and then maybe again in later turns if they can't escape (say the sorcerer casts wall of earth to contain them)
Anything stronger than this?
>>
>>55058854
Tell him to get good. The only effects I hate are ones that literally just skip your turn, especially at lower levels when you really can't counter it. It's such a boring and annoying effect.
>>
>>55058854
Tell him that monster and PC have separate rule and maybe show him the page after the combat is over.
>>
>>55058854
Tell them to fuck off. I have a power gamer munchkin player in my group who does this shit and it pisses me off, literally everyone else in the group is like "oh wow these are some special orcs, or man these guys are stronger than the average guy" and accept it.
>>
>>55058880
>The only effects I hate are ones that literally just skip your turn
What do you mean? Are you talking about legendary actions? If so, fuckin git gud scrub. If not, there's nothing that just skips your turn without giving some kind of saving throw
>>
>>55058911
No, I mean ones even with saving throws. There are so many other interesting things than can happen besides just, well, you don't get a turn. Wow, what a fun and exciting effect.
>>
>>55058936
>if I suffer any kind of inconvenience in a fight I whine to the DM about being unfair and boring
>I play to WIN
>>
>>55058976
Way to project. I never mention it to anyone except on here, so it never comes up. If it happens in game I just go with it. But if you wanna exaggerate and be butthurt, go ahead I guess. You sound extremely autistic though. Just saying.
>>
File: 051 - 2A5MZWL.jpg (353KB, 1000x1415px) Image search: [Google]
051 - 2A5MZWL.jpg
353KB, 1000x1415px
>>55056845
Dual Wield rapiers, hit and move around the battle field. Consider taking 5 levels into Fighter and pick up some combat maneuvers from Battle Master such as riposte, trip attack, and precision attack.

Try this background out. If it's not to your liking Pirate works well.

>https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Duelist_(5e_Background)

I know it's DnD Wiki, but it's just a background guys.
>>
How widespread are printing presses in FR? They exist in canon, but I can't find actual information about their use
>>
>>55058992
I've never seen a post with this little self awareness. It's actually really impressive
>>
>>55052820
What are your thoughts on these cantrips?

Anyone ever wanted more Gish like cantrips in a similar fashion to Booming Blade or Green-Flame Blade or do you think those two are enough?
>>
File: Untitled-1.jpg (101KB, 448x461px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-1.jpg
101KB, 448x461px
/tg/ how to put a 10ft/20ft cube, 20ft radius, etc on the grid?
Have a DM that likes to use hex and I've put my idea of them on the image. Play a Bard with a lot of area spells. Faeri fire, Silence, etc.
But is it weaker? Less squares...
>>
>>55059028
From what I remember from the book Ed Greenwood's Forgotten Relms, woodcuts and whole molded page presses are common but moveable type is very rare.
>>
>>55058630

You're REALLY overstating the benefits of reach.
>>
>>55058737
>>55058751
Tg truly is the best board
>>
>>55059053
that's just retarded
>>
>>55059096
It sure is
>>
>>55059094
I think you're just understating it
>>
>>55056845

High elf with 1 level in fighter to get dueling fighting style, get Booming blade as your cantrip and play a hit and run style swashbuckler that deals massive amounts of damage, forces attention onto him and avoids hits.
>>
>>55058665
Strahd already has a dead gay dragon and his big gay house of gay knights of goodness, all killed off to show how bad Strahd is (but he also fucks anything so gays are represented as bad guys too)
I don't see much change
>>
>>55058665
Why does it matter at all, unless if youre doing erp it shouldn't come up very much if at all
>>
>>55059151

Strahd uses sex as a manipulation tool, but his only love is for Tatyana and her reincarnations, so he's at most Bi.
>>
>>55059046
I like most of these except for Fungal Bloom and Vortex Dart. They feel too powerful in the right situations, Fungal Bloom in particular. Vortex dart makes it really easy to set up AOE effects. They're just too powerful for cantrips. Most of the others are fine, I especially like Bloodletting bite because of how simple it's design is. Of course, I can't tell how strong these are in context because I have no clue what "Magus" class is. Bloodletting blade seems a bit on the stronger end when paired with hexblade's curse. Otherwise they seem well balanced enough for the splat book and PHB classes/subclasses. I might steal a couple of these and add them to my game.
>>
File: 1495521146888.png (107KB, 341x334px) Image search: [Google]
1495521146888.png
107KB, 341x334px
>Friends starting up a new campaign and invite me to play
>Look at Cleric and what they can do
>Realize I should have looked into Cleric a long time ago

Is there anything that can stop me from being a Healer/Necromancer? Also which version of Cleric would be best for that?
>>
>>55058665
>Crawford is making literally who characters gay in D&D
>lets celebrate how forced this diversity is
Theres been gays in d&d since at least 2e why does this matter
>>
>>55059007
That sounds interesting, might do that with ranger/rogue and Shortswords. Though that would be pretty MAD since I'd need a good CHA
>>
File: Untitled-2.jpg (173KB, 782x595px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-2.jpg
173KB, 782x595px
>>55059053
>>55059108
Convert square to hex? '10ft hex' and 20ft hex', but more aoe, upgrade.
Or 'fuck point rules, pick 4/16 hex, that is the area'
>>
File: 1362275610202.jpg (380KB, 700x1577px) Image search: [Google]
1362275610202.jpg
380KB, 700x1577px
>>55057876
So, anyone read this yet? Really hoping for some tips and thoughts and such.
>>
>finally get 6th level spell slot as Cleric
>end up just casting Spiritual Weapon at 5th level and Spirit Guardians at 6th level
>Sacred Flame anything that tries to run away
>potentially 3d8 + 6d8 + 4d8 a turn if the ball is in my court

talk shit on Pelor now you Drow fucks
>>
>>55058854
Man, I pissed myself the first time I saw an Orc warband use Aggressive.
Their chieftain critted my level 2 character for 100% of his max HP and I got a 1 on a death save.

I got better, but that was fucking brutal. Good times.
>>
What would go well with a fighter in a duo PC campaign?
>>
>>55059432
Another fighter. The best defense is a good offense.
Or a wizard / other caster.
>>
>>55059432
Support caster to buff him
>>
>>55059432
go batlemaster figher and have your party member be a rogue. use commander strike and fuck over everything that moves
>>
When doing voices, how do you keep them consistent? I keep forgetting how I made a certain NPC sound
>>
>>55059523
I don't. There is a running joke in my games about a terrible widespread affliction wherein people's accents spontaneously change, sometimes mid-sentence.
>>
>>55059523
I tend to just use generic "fantasy british" accents for a lot of characters. Up the pitch for females, lower the pitch for gruffer males. Dragonborn tend to have really gruff voices regardless.

I tend to avoid dwarves a lot because i cant do a scottish accent to save my life. Should I just make the dwarves in my setting have russian accents?
>>
File: 1493823701684.pdf (2MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
1493823701684.pdf
2MB, 1x1px
>>55059523
>>
>>55059523
write down "low" "deep" "high" "Scot" "Southern US" "growly" literally any adjective to describe in a very basic way.

If it's a recurring character, you'll remember it easily just from 1 word (and won't even need later).

If it's just a random character that will maybe be interacted with twice, your players won't remember either so just wing it with just 1 reminder adjective.
>>
>>55058294
Sure, but why do I need to step on the same traps as everyone else? Why shouldnt I see of we can work together to fail forward?
>>
>>55059543
You can do personalities through mannerisms as well.

Do your shitty scott accent but heavily support it with mannerisms and interaction traits
>>
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/news/dd-survey

New survey. Fill this shit out.
>>
>>55059315

Best version for healer necro?

Death Cleric from the DMG is all about that.

They're usually reserved as villain only classes, but see if your DM makes an exception.
>>
In my setting there are beings that are like gods, but even more powerful, think the Titans from greek mythology.

They are all based around the Tarot cards, if this is the case what would each's domain be?
>>
>>55059157
The only way it could go wrong is if they become more like Pathfinder, where published adventures are treated like dating sims with explicit instructions on how to romance the NPCs. But I have faith that they'll keep up their good taste and not make 5e sex-focused, instead only occasionally referring to NPC-on-NPC relationships that you're not supposed to masturbate to, like with Strahd.
>>
>>55059596
None. Primordials (the D&D equivalent of titans) don't have clerics because they don't have to farm the faith of mortals to sustain themselves. They're generally beyond caring about mortals one way or the other. Occasionally they're treated as Great Old Ones, so you could be a warlock of one if you really wanted.
>>
Does the revised ranger animal companion benefit from all of natural explorer, or just travel pace? What about favoured enemy?
>>
>>55059649

I don't really mean in a cleric sense, I mean what are their powers essentially, what is their realm of control?
>>
>>55059605
Sounds good to me, pathfucker is truely one of the most degenrate games
On another note in both of my play throughs of SKT a pc hooked up with a barbarian npc, one of the times it was a lesbian relationship
>>
>>55059673
Physical reality. 4e especially had a Gnosticism theme going on where primordials represented physical reality and deities represented abstract ideas. They were basically the demiurge, the secretly evil creator of the physical universe.
>>
>>55059432
Sorcerer, twin Haste, and watch the fighters smash everything.
>>
>>55059710

Yeah well this is a homebrew setting, and I want them to have some sort of realm of control, with "The World" and "The Fool" being the two most powerful ones.

Basically they were a race of beings that travelled my setting's equivalent of the Astral Plane, turning stars into planes for creatures to inhabit, when they got to making the prime plane there was a disagreement which lead to "The World" being bound to the plane itself, preventing gods from having absolute control upon the plane. All the other members of the race were "shattered" besides "The Fool"
>>
>>55059605
The Kotaku article did note the LGBT characters feature in 5e adventures thus far:
- Godfrey Gwilym in CoS, a gay revenant paladin that is by far the strongest ally to fight Strahd you can have in the game, who wishes to save the soul of his also-revenant lover.
- An older gay couple in SKT, that you can rescue from the Dripping Caves, no real story roles, just mentioned in passing. They are raising their nephew and are based on Crawford and his husband who were raising their nephew at the time.
- A somewhat-more-important older lesbian mage in SKT, whose wife went into the Underdark and never returned.

That's it. Expect characters like that scattered throughout 5e adventures from now on.
>>
>>55059777
whatever will /pol/ do
>>
File: images (1).jpg (9KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
images (1).jpg
9KB, 225x225px
>>55059777
holy fuck its irrelevant
>>
>>55058630
sacrificing 2 damage for an extra 5ft reach makes sense but the whip is still in with an awkward niche
>>
>>55059777
>strongest ally to fight Strahd
Aren't we forgetting a certain CR 12 individual?
>>
>>55059777
I will only accept it if the gay charachter in tomb of annihilation is a funny gay skeleton who makes jokes and you randomly meet him for a couple minutes in the tomb
>>
>Unearthed Arcana: Revised Capstones
>every weak capstone gets a major buff to encourage using single-classed characters
How would you feel about this?
>>
File: 1495649320661-vg.png (125KB, 669x863px) Image search: [Google]
1495649320661-vg.png
125KB, 669x863px
>>55059839
>not accepting gay dinosaurs

you're slippin anon
>>
>>55059544
...what is a "normal" accent? Normally I'd assume that "normal" means American, but you have American as a distinct accent.

Even taking into account you wanting to limit yourself to English-language accents, too, your table's woefully small...hang on.

01. American - New England/New York
02. American - Southron
03. American - Midwest/Texan
04. British - High-class/Received Pronunciation
05. British - Low-class English/Cockney
06. British - North
07. British - Welsh
08. British - Scottish
09. British - Irish
10. South African
11. STRAYA YA CUNT
12. Non-English
>>
>>55059432
A Battlemaster, a Paladin, or a Sorcerer for twin Haste
>>
>>55059841

I'd love it, most classes seem to need a better capstone.

I'd also hope subclass capstones get a look at, shadow monk capstone is unthematic and kinda weak.
>>
>>55059841
>Irrelevant level 20 builds

It's be a waste of an UA, by other words, a normal UA
>>
>>55059858
WHat 2 dinosaurs do in the bushes is their own buisiness okay, but they are no where near as good as a funny gay skeleton
>>
>>55059751
So what are these guys' relationship to the gods?

And since you already want them to be themed off of tarot cards, I don't know why you're asking us what their themes should be. Just look up how various people interpret the major arcana.
>>
>>55059777
So three of them are old/unsexy and one of them is chaste. That's good. That's the kind of thing I was hoping for, not some anime shit.
>>
>>55059841
wtf is a Capstone?
>>
>>55059976
the final ability any class gets, typically at level 20
>>
>>55059907

Basically, in the "astral sea" there's a lot of psychic wind, formed of thoughts that drift freely. When thoughts have similar alignments they "congeal" and when enough congeal they form a star.

When a star dies they form a plane, and each plane has a "Metasphere" formed of ideas of the beings that reside upon it, each plane has a god depending on how much of the "Metasphere" is under their domain.

These beings created the planes by bringing the early end to stars, forming planes and thereby forming the current "Gods"

The "Prime plane" is incomplete and as such physically cannot have a god, it's impossible.
>>
>>55059999
NIce quads
>>
>>55059999
>>55060000
Holy shit 2 in a row
>>
>>55060000
>Double 5's
>5 zeroes
>Void Quad
>One 6
>5 = 5+ 1
>Double fives for the sake of one, in five we are nothing, in nothing, we are one.

Woah
>>
>>55059999
>>55060000
2 consecutive posts in 14 secs.

nice
>>
>>55060102
Slow day I guess
>>
>>55060102
>>55060027

I actually had no idea what people were talking about until I realised that numbers are a big important thing on this site lol.
>>
>>55060153
Unlike most boards, it actually makes sense for tabletop games when you think about it.
The dice giveth, and the dice taketh away.
>>
>>55060188
Nice dubs.
Check this 4
>>
>>55060153
Jeez I didn't realize people didn't understand it
>>
Rolled 66 (1d100)

>>55060211
Nice doubles.
Check those
>>
File: 1885355-newrawwill.png (268KB, 521x646px) Image search: [Google]
1885355-newrawwill.png
268KB, 521x646px
What dinosaurs do YOU want to see get stat blocks in ToA?

Giganotosaurus would be sick, same with Dilophosaurus
>>
>>55060243
Epic get anon
>>
File: vigilante.pdf (365KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
vigilante.pdf
365KB, 1x1px
r8 my homebrew m8
>>
>>55054631
I'm open to all except Dragonborn, cuz they suck. Also every official depiction of Dragonborn is awful.
>>
How do you guys balance homebrew races?

One of my players wants to play as a merfolk, and another wants to play as some homebrew goblin race. The goblin one (https://www.reddit.com/r/UnearthedArcana/comments/3gr42i/new_player_race_goblins_with_5_subraces/) looks OK compared to the races in the PHB, but I don't know what to make at all of the merfolk one:
>+2 Dex, +1 to two other ability scores, +5 passive perception
>walking speed is 10, always considered prone, swim speed of 40 feet
>he also wants to play as some homebrew Bard college to go along with it
I'm mostly worried because I haven't fucked around that much with homebrew and I'm not great at evaluating how strong different options are. I don't think any of these guys are a powergamers or anything like that, and I'm probably just going to say yes, but they're asking for permission and I feel like I ought to be paying attention to this kind of thing so nobody else feels left out.
>>
>>55060329
I think some of rhe dragonborn minis look alright,
>>
File: races.png (105KB, 1103x588px) Image search: [Google]
races.png
105KB, 1103x588px
>>55060349
First off, Goblin is an official playable race.

Second, you must not look very hard. There are links above for a reason.
>>
>>55060349
There's a Goblin in Volo's. Why does he want something else?
>those stats
no
>+5 passive perception
no
>10 ft speed, always considered prone
Wouldn't last one session at any table I play or DM in.
>>
>>55060349
Why the fuck would he want to be a merfolk that can't walk in a land based campaign?
>>55060406
He's asking about homebrew versions. Not official. Same for Merfolk. Nice job not helping at all.
>>
>>55060425
>>55060445
It's going to be an aquatic campaign. I probably should've mentioned that.
>>
>>55060445
Why the fuck wouldn't they want to play official?
>>
>>55060445
Why create a homebrew if they already exist?
>>
Rolled 11, 17, 18, 2, 15, 9 = 72 (6d20)

Time to roll some characters
>>
>>55060406
I knew about the official goblin race -- he came to me with this homebrew idea and said, "hey, is this OK?" not "hey, do you know any good Goblin races I could play as?"
>>55060468
>>55060463
I don't know if he knows it exists, and I don't mind official or homebrewed as long as it's not ridiculous.
>>
>>55060349
Tritons and goblins are both in Volo's Guide to Monsters
>>
>>55060468
I'm gonna go ahead and guess this was before Volo's.
>>
>>55060349
>>55060425
I should add that the +5 passive perception is a bonus to the merfolk subclass, not the main class. I'm not sure if that makes a difference, though.
>>
>>55060482
good luck with 2
>>
File: guyman.png (201KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
guyman.png
201KB, 400x400px
>>55060486
I'd heavily recommend just leading them towards the official shit.

That UA goblin one isn't too bad. That merfolk one is absolutely fucking abhorrent.

If you MUST homebrew, try the regular method:
>+2 to an ability
>+1 to an ability
>Common and extra language (plus race language)
>A proficiency or two
>Maybe movement differences
>Maybe darkvision if the creatures stat blocks have them
>>
>>55060482
How do I roll
>>
>>55060445
He's asking "how do you guys balance homebrew races?"

The obvious answer is "compare it to races that already exist."
>>
>testing out Mystic for several months on an old character i had from 3.5 that was a Cleric
>clunky as fuck and the DM stopped trying to keep track of how it worked completely
>character died and was reincarnated
>was cool about letting me respec back into Cleric

thank god. I hope mystic gets cleaned up a bit, its awkward to run imo
>>
I let a player create a Draw in our Forgotten Realms campaign. I'm trying to play up to the racial stereotype (no-one trusting, guards following, basically bad social interactions all around) which makes sense in the world and the history. Thing is I don't know if he's enjoying it? He's trying to be charming with NPCs but common people def react negatively.

Any suggestions?

He also said he wants to try Tabaxi for a next character which I'm thinking of refusing.
>>
>>55060573
>Drow
>then Tabaxi

im expecting mystic then homebrew dnd wiki class after that
>>
>>55059777
Possibly some of the least weird NPCs you will meet in Forgotten Realms
>>
>>55059578
>What are your favorite campaign settings?
>Eberron

>Please indicate your level of interest in new D&D 5th edition material for each of the following settings
>Eberron

I'm hard
>>
File: hey there.gif (410KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
hey there.gif
410KB, 500x281px
>>55060623
Patrician taste, anon.
>>
Rolled 3, 4, 1, 1, 1, 1, 2, 3, 6, 3, 2, 2, 6, 4, 6, 1, 5, 4, 3, 3, 4, 1, 2, 6 = 74 (24d6)

>>55060542
read the fucking sticky
>>
>>55060644
I did asshole, didn't make any sense to me
>>
Is a warlock and master bond like a servitude for power sort of thing or can it be something else?
I'm wondering how it would work when the warlock is tricked into the pact
>>
File: favorite_super_hero.jpg (742KB, 1280x1968px) Image search: [Google]
favorite_super_hero.jpg
742KB, 1280x1968px
>>55060573
Well, if he's playing a drow, then presumably part of what he wanted was the people acting negatively to him despite his best efforts. The thing is that, if his character perseveres in trying to change peoples' minds about him, then sooner or later he should be rewarded in some small way.

Having some small kid say they want to be just like him when they grow up is a classic. As a possible source of inspiration, check out New 52 Aquaman's run, specifically just the first 4 issues that deal with an enemy called The Trench.

Short version is that the world's perception of Aquaman is basically inspired by Superfriends, with people thinking he can talk to fish, can't do anything if not near water, might die if out of water for 2 minutes, etc. One person even straight-up asks Aquaman in the first issue, "how does it feel to be no one's favorite superhero?" This despite the fact that he's one of the strongest superheroes in DC.

So the arc closing out with this page was a nice boost to Aquaman's self-esteem.
>>
>>55060598
Drow Rogue with Crossbows right now. Probably a Tabaxi Monk later.

I don't allow UAs or home-brew from internet, fuck no.
>>
Rolled 6, 3, 4, 3, 3, 6, 4, 2, 5, 2, 2, 1, 5, 6, 5, 6, 5, 5, 2, 6, 3, 3, 3, 6 = 96 (24d6)

>>55060661
read "options" instead of "email"

>>55060644
8 6 11 16 12 12
That's a whizzhard right there.
>>
>>55059578
>listing of all the D&D vidya
>goes over Gold Box games
>no entry for the Dark Sun titles, which aren't Gold Box engine games
>but Dark Sun is a valid setting choice
>Mystara isn't, but its game is listed
what is this
>>
Rolled 5, 6, 5, 2, 14, 7 = 39 (6d20)

Give me a race, class, and short backstory for this character
>>
>>55060682
I guess so, he plays up to the social aspects of unwantedness without making it cringe, which is a relief.

The people in our starting town love him cause they helped a bunch of people there. He also has an aunt and a niece there who wants to be like him, like you suggested.

The problem is when they move around, meet new people, discover plots elsewhere etc.

He's also the self-titled Dragon Hunter of the coast, since he dealt the killing blows to both of the dragons they've faced.

I was thinking of a governor/mayor awarding him a title or a pin etc for his help.
>>
>>55060741

A party member's pet hamster.
>>
>>55060741
You're a fucking wild animal that got True Polymorphed into a little kid
>>
Check em' ya peasents, this is what a real adventurer's stats look like
>>
File: wat.jpg (20KB, 428x501px) Image search: [Google]
wat.jpg
20KB, 428x501px
>>55060760
Good job, anon
>>
Rolled 20, 17, 14, 5, 4, 4 = 64 (6d20)

>>55060760
>>
Rolled 5, 5, 3, 1, 5, 2, 5, 4, 6, 3, 1, 2, 2, 2, 1, 2, 6, 2, 3, 1, 4, 6, 3, 6 = 80 (24d6)

>>55060777
Sounds about right
>>
>>55060772
Thanks asshole, accidentally capitalized the D, got some nice trips when I didn't tho
>>
Rolled 4, 3, 5, 4, 5, 5, 1, 2, 3, 6, 4, 6, 5, 5, 4, 2, 3, 6, 5, 4, 3, 5, 1, 6 = 97 (24d6)

>>55060777
A barbarian in every sense of the word
>>
Rolled 7, 13, 20, 14, 7, 3 = 64 (6d20)

You all ready for this sick ass monk?
>>
>>55060820
Why won't it die?
>>
>>55060820
>Unarmored Defense of 9
kek
>>
Rolled 20, 17, 10, 10, 2, 11 = 70 (6d20)

This is a cleric
>>
>>55060836
He has blind faith and big muscles
>>
Rolled 2, 7, 1, 17, 6, 12 = 45 (6d20)

Check this Fighter
>>
>>55060869
not for long it isn't
>>
I'm planning a group that will play for approximately 3 hours once every other week. For that reason, use of time and pace of play is a priority.

I have a prospective player interested in playing a Circle of the Shepherd Druid. Would I be right to fear that the class's emphasis on talking to beasts and summoning creatures would take up too much time and spotlight, and denying the request?

The player is reasonable and is open to other options so it's not like I'd be throwing them out.
>>
>>55060869
Wouldn't having a 1 in Con just immediately kill you?
>>
>>55060869
Literal meat shield
>>
>>55060869
>>
>>55060884
You mean the opposite of one? Being a meat shield means you're fucking hardy and tanky, this character is like a reclusive scholar that almost dies from a sneeze
>>
>>55060893
Read it wrong sorry anon
>>
>>55060882
Fighter would have 6 health with a -4 and gain 2 every level
Wizard would start with 2 and gain nothing on a level, unless there is some minimum of 1 HP rule
>>
>>55060329

I don't like the LOOK of them, but it's not like a videogame, just reflavor them.
>>
File: Iliira.png (536KB, 686x963px) Image search: [Google]
Iliira.png
536KB, 686x963px
>>55060751
...he's playing the male version of my character from Tyranny of Dragons. Bastard.
>>
Thinking of doing a 1 shot with my friends where we roll our stats on /to/ then have anons give us backstories, races, etc. would I do it here or make another thread for it?
>>
New thread lads
>>55060945
>>55060945
>>55060945
>>
>>55060940
*/tg/
Fucking phones
>>
>>55060918
1 Con is a -5 modifier
>>
>>55059839
But if it's a gay skeleton then that adds uncertainty into the equation. When he says "I've got a BONE to pick with you" you can never be sure what he's referring to. Is it a skeleton joke? A gay joke? We will never know.
>>
>>55058665
It's not like I give money to WotC anyway.
Anytime I encounter this pozzed shit I just change it. As dm I have that power and it is nice.
That's probably the one reason why you can not fully pozz tabletop RPGs. The DM can just always take the shit out.
>>
>>55060349
Both these races are in volos
>>
>>55059382
Well, the 1st level ability is obviously OP. Heavy armor with 19 AC is too much, and all the other options are clearly worse.

The other abilities reduce AC, so I can see why you'd give the class a high base AC. But, the way it is, the class is a no-brainer dip for almost any class.

I'd suggest reducing Heavy to 18 AC and removing all the other options. Then, increase the AC by 1 whenever you get a new ability (6th, 10th, 14th). That way, your AC tracks normal heavy/medium armor and keeps pace with magical armors as well.
>>
>>55061138
>pozz
What does it mean
>>
>>55059096
You're retarded. We've already had a few good threads on it.

>>55046364
>>
>>55052972
If you have the money you can make a heroes' feast, which gives up to 12 creatures: cures from all disease and poision, advantage on wisdom saving throws, 2d10 temporary HP, and it lasts for 24 hours.

Find the Path points you at just about any specific location you want.

Geas lets you make people do shit or take 5d10 psychic when they don't do that shit.
>>
>>55054011
http://kobold.club/fight/#/encounter-builder
Now you can customize your fight however you like.

Captcha: calle calle
>>
>>55054631
The only things I allow from Volo's are goliath, aasimar, goblins, and orcs.
>>
>>55053703
I bought both and Tome of Beasts is kind of weak
>>
>>55061243
Positive, as in either "LGBT positive content."

Although he may be referring to the absurd bug-chasing fetish, where gay guys specifically hunt out partners who are HiV positive (Pozz), and ripe with other STD's for the thrill of getting infected, using broken protection or even none at all so there is an element of chance or risk.

And like, I try not to kink-shame but what. the. fuck.
>>
>>55060661
Fuck off, new cunt.
Thread posts: 410
Thread images: 37

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.