[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ Dungeons & Dragons Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 423
Thread images: 29

File: threadtitle elves.jpg (220KB, 1280x1242px) Image search: [Google]
threadtitle elves.jpg
220KB, 1280x1242px
>Unearthed Arcana: Three-Pillar Experience
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-ThreePillarXP.pdf

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Trove:
https://dnd.rem.uz/5e%20D%26D%20Books/

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread: >>55033637

What are your quality of life house rules?
>>
I know this isn't the right edition but I've gotta learn 3.5 ed in a few days time. Anyone got good resources for it?

All I've ever done before outside of wargaming is a few oneshots of 5th ed so I'm pretty much going from scratch here. Thanks for any help.
>>
>>55040880
Dumb idea. Drawing a weapon used in an attack is a given. If someone can throw three axes or shoot three arrows, there's no reason why they shouldn't be able to throw three javelins.
>>
>>55040645

Given that greatswords in real life don't HAVE sheathes, and they were typically put on CARTS when not used, seems reasonable
>>
>>55040936
Personally I'm debating:

>Every race can select one feat at start. This cannot be Great Weapon Master/Polearm Master/Sharpshooter/Crossbow Expert.
Encouraging people to take race feats, or flavor feats failing that.

I kind of like the 'if a weapon is light, it can be drawn without spending your object interaction' from last thread.

>>55040979
I do agree, but I also view it as a reason to encourage people to use something other than javelins. It makes hand axes and daggers viable, while javelins because a long range 'fuck you up' weapon - especially because of things like Javelin of Lightning.
>>
Homebrew rule:
Assassinations and surprise; assassin sneaks up on bloke undetected and stabs him. While everyone else then rolls initiative, assassin doesn't, and is automatically put first.

After all initiative is for determining who goes / reacts first, and we already know he goes first because his stab is what triggers everyone to combat.

This removes the issue for assassin rogues of getting surprise on a target, but not getting their auto-crits because the target manages to beat them in initiative (going first and therefore having the surprised condition removed at the end of this turn, before the assassin even attacks).

Makes assassins less crappy and stops the alert feat from being essential for them.

Besides, how does it make sense for the target to go before the assassin; by virtue of passing stealth checks vs perception to sneak up on him, we already know that he doesn't know the assassin is there, so what is triggering him to initiative before he feels the stab?
>>
>>55041005
Just buff hand axes and daggers instead of nerfing the only decent ranged strength option.
>>
Sorcerers use spell points, which are also combined with sorcery points and can be used as either.
>>
>>55041059

But that DOES buff daggers and hand axes without buffing javelins.

Hand Axes and Daggers can be freely drawn as they're light

Javelins require your object interaction to draw as they don't have light, but they don't have heavy either.

So javelins are literally unchanged by RAW.
>>
Rules I like:

Potions are Bonus action

You can play a class without it's flavor: with the flavor of a different class, or with the flavor of a different class.

Gishing limits are removed because gishing is already fucking weak.
>>
Nature is a Wis skill, because rangers and druids (and nature clerics) should be good at it pretty much automatically, with choosing it as a proficiency bumping them up to expert levels.
>>
"Gishing limits"?

Explain, please.
>>
>>55041059
I don't think it nerfs it when there's absolutely no change to javelins. All it does is encourage hand axes and daggers to be used, as they can be drawn freely - so if you have four attacks, you can throw four daggers or handaxes. These are smaller dice short ranged weapons, versus javelin being higher dice longer ranged weapons.

In all honesty, I would be quite open to giving javelins a boost to damage as a compensation - it becomes more of a bulky 'you just speared the FUCK out of this dude' thing. There's part of me that wants to rule "you can toss as many javelins as your attack/2, rounded up", so if you get three or four attacks you can toss two javelins ... But that only affects fighters then, and seems like extra work.

I mean you could make a 'Throwing' weapon feat or fighting style where you can then treat all throwing weapons like they are light (and possibly some ancillary benefits), but that just becomes more book keeping versus "hey now you can throw as many daggers and hand axes as you have attacks".
>>
>>55041107
Until you want to throw more than two javelins a turn.
>>
>>55040936
What class is this?
>>
File: [worried laughter].jpg (69KB, 520x678px) Image search: [Google]
[worried laughter].jpg
69KB, 520x678px
An attack against a stunned creature is automatically a crit. This may or may not be everyone forgetting the difference between being stunned and paralyzed. I'm the monk so I'm not gonna bring it up.
>>
>>55041165

Which, by RAW, isn't possible and would require another houserule.
>>
Anyone here ever multiclass tempest cleric/storm sorcerer? How did it work out?
>>
>>55040936
>What are your quality of life house rules?
No niggers
No faggots
No Jews
Either as PCs
Or players themselves
>>
>>55041228
>hahaha I said the word nigger, fag, and jew!!! ecks dee!!!
if you're not being ironic then >>/pol/
>>
>>55041156

Say you have an arcane focus in one hand and a sword in the other.

If a spell requires material components, you can also perform the somatic components with the same hand your focus is in.

if the spell has somatic components but doesn't have material components, for some reason you CANNOT use the same hand your focus is in.

I find that completely fucking stupid and houserule it out.
>>
Mostly by accident that decided was harmless enough, our gnome uses a longbow, so I guess by implication we have a house rule that small races can use heavy weapons.
>>
>>55041165
Which is a current restriction. I am not sure if giving you incentive to use something other than, as you said, the ONLY decent ranged strength option, is therefore nerfing that option. It just gives you incentive to use any of the other options, because javelins currently are far superior as they have a better damage dice and better range.

It's why I would also be open to buffing javelin damage as a result. I would be okay with them being 1d8 to put them on par with longbow, or even 1d10. It encourages them to be more 'artillery' style weapons ... But as said, it becomes more book keeping when you're modifying individual weapons, while saying 'light weapons can be drawn without an object interaction' has more versatility, since it allows you to do things like dual wield at level 1 without being a variant human.
>>
>>55041202
Yes it is. Drawing weapons apart of your attack doesn't cost anything.
>>
Got a question. I play a rogue in a game and the DM and I had a disagreement about how uncanny Dodge and Evasion work.

My rogue was hit with a fireball spell from the BBEG. I felt like I could use the Evasion feature on the Dex save to halve the damage and then use the uncanny Dodge reaction to halve the already half damage.

DM said said I couldn't because the BBEG didn't make an attack roll so it wouldn't trigger the reaction.

I wanted to call bullshit but I didn't want to have an argument during the game.

Thoughts?
>>
>>55041202
You can kind of, in a very specific circumstance - basically as long as you start the round with a javelin in hand already. Theoretically, if you start the round with a javelin *in each hand* you can throw up to three, since its
>Throw first
>Throw second
>Object interaction to draw a third javelin, throw it
Which is why I'm okay with buffing damage dice to them, because they kind of become an 'artillery' option, where if you're setup you can take advantage of a nice burst of damage, but once you get into more close quarters you're not going to be drawing a whole bunch of javelins rapidly.
>>
>>55041268
Wording
>Starting at 5th level, when an attacker that you can see hits you with an attack
>attack
This generally implies that there has to be an attack roll. Fireball doesn't require an attack roll on the part of the caster.
>>
>>55041266

That's only for Ammunition I'm afraid, by RAW you cannot draw weapons as part of an attack.

You can houserule that Javelins have the Ammunition property, but that would be a houserule.
>>
What are some fun low level wild shapes? I am going to be playing a druid, and I don't want to be a bear or dire wolf all the time.
>>
>>55041294
Wrong.
>>
File: 1499894276557.jpg (320KB, 500x572px) Image search: [Google]
1499894276557.jpg
320KB, 500x572px
>>55041332

Read the book nigga
>>
My DM is taking a break for a while and wants me to DM a oneshot for the group in the meantime. What's a good, 6-10 hour adventure that's new DM friendly?
>>
>>55041266
Yep, see >>55041294 - that only applies for ammunition. Javelins as they stand require the same object interaction that other weapons use, therefore you can only draw one javelin per turn. If you have javelins in your hand already you can take advantage of that ( >>55041284 ), but this literally doesn't change anything for javelins. It just encourages you to use handaxes and daggers, because they effectively gain the ammunition quality (but you have the added benefit of being able to draw two light weapons in the same turn, letting you dual wield from level 1 without being a variant human).

>>55041268
Fireball doesn't have an attack roll. Evasion applies to it, uncanny dodge does not. And vice versa when dealing with an attack roll - uncanny dodge works, evasion doesn't. If you didn't want to take damage, maybe you should have succeeded on that roll, anon.
>>
>>55041248
I've been thinking about allowing this since it occurred to me that our gnome paladin does less damage if they wield their weapon in 2 hands as opposed to one hand with the dueling fighting style. and that would also net them higher AC.
>>
>>55041294

You get a free object interaction on your round. Draw/sheath a weapon, open a door, grab a potion...
>>
tomorrow my group is doing a battle royale between everybody's characters, with 1 survivor being declared the winner.

the only rules are
1: no removing players from battlefield
2: no wishes

how do I win as a 15th level wizard against a rogue, a barbarian, two battlemaster fighters, and a sorc?
>>
>>55041379
I kind of seriously wonder if the battle royale posts that pop up every second or third thread are just bait. How fucking often do people do this, really.
>>
>>55040966
>still playing 3.5
>when everyone else has converted to pathfinder, 4e, or 5e

But why.

d20srd.org has all you need for 3e, btw.
>>
>>55041393
you've never had a random non-canon session in your campaign anon?

it's pretty common for things like birthdays/holidays/special events
>>
>>55041374
Yes. Exactly. You get *one* free object interaction on your round. So you can draw a javelin and throw it, but now that you've used your free object interaction, you must spend an action to grab the next javelin. It's why people do the whole
>Drop sword
>Somatic gesture
>Pickup sword
Because dropping the sword literally has no cost what so ever, while picking up the sword spends your object interaction. If you were to sheath the sword, that would be your object interaction, and you would have to spend an action to draw it again, or wait until your next turn in order to draw it via your free object interaction.
>>
>>55041374

Yep, I'm not arguing you can't use your object interaction, I'm saying it's not free.

The conversation was in response to a houserule of mine on the last thread

Weapons with the light property are completely free to draw

Weapons without light, but without heavy are unchanged, and use your object interaction

Weapons with heavy require a full action (this is based in history, weapons like greatswords were carried in carts or simply carried in hand: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjURzgkCuAE)
>>
>>55041393

Players have a dick waving contest and the only way to settle is PC vs PC.
>>
>>55041432
Anon here originally saying I was debating about adopting it: I do not necessarily agree with the 'weapons with heavy require a full action', I just really like the 'weapons with light property are completely free to draw' because of throwing being such a fucking disaster, and finding it silly that dual wielding is locked behind a feat.
>>
>>55041439
But that's silly anon, everyone knows that if you want to win a contest like that you fuck their girl
>>
>>55041393
My group had one to fill time when a player was gonna be about an hour late. Ended with the rogue winning because the gunslinger wasn't paying enough attention to realize they could just fly out of his range with their swanky aesimar wings and nail him in the head.
>>
>>55041005
>>This cannot be Great Weapon Master/Polearm Master/Sharpshooter/Crossbow Expert.
Yeah just make one of those feats automatic with a martial class.
>>
>>55041019
You got so close to understanding how surprise rounds work yet missed the mark.
>>
>>55041543
Elaborate, please.
>>
>>55041543

How surprise rounds work in 5e:

They don't

There are no surprise rounds in 5e, on the surprised condition.
>>
File: weww.png (55KB, 199x178px) Image search: [Google]
weww.png
55KB, 199x178px
Thri-Kreen are passionate hunters. I mean, their entire society revolves around it.

Would they keep creatures as hunting companions like other humanoids do? If so, what would they keep? Giant ants?
>>
>>55041574
Combat section of the PHB

>>55041592
>the combat round in which the surprise condition is in use isn't the surprise round
??????????????????
>>
>>55041525
Or, you know, make them wait until at least level four before they take it. I'm not going to make those feats automatic, but I'm going to encourage them to take feats that add to their character.

>>55041543
He's right, though. If assassins stealth beats the targets passive perception, they roll up initiative. The target has the surprised condition - it lasts until the target gets a turn. So if the target gets a turn before the rogue, they lose the surprise condition and gain the ability to take a reaction. Now the assassins special no longer will trigger, as the target is no longer surprised.

Personally I feel its wonky because .. I understand it on one hand, "the target is alerted as you close in and jerks away enough that you don't get your guaranteed critical", but I think its fucking DAFT because its their core feature and it becomes such an unlikely circumstance that already requires you somewhat splitting from your party.
>>
>>55041594
Ankhegs
Bulettes
>>
>>55041616
There's no such thing as a surprise round. It's just a round where some creatures have the surprised condition (but not necessarily all of them, because some creatures may detect you while other ones did not).

You don't get a bonus round or anything like that.
>>
>>55041616

Surprise rounds no longer exist in 5e.
>>
>>55041616
Ok, if you're going to try to be a smartarse, at least be correct. There are no surprise rounds. There is only the surprise conditions, which applies in the first round of combat to creatures deemed surprised. They cannot act on this first turn of theirs, after which the surprised condition is removed from them.

This means that if the assassin is after them in the initiative order, it never gets the opportunity to attack them while the surprised condition applies.

Again, to be a smartarse, you first need to be smart. Just because you're on 4chan, doesn't mean you should act like a cunt 24/7.
>>
>>55041639
>It's just a round where some creatures have the surprised condition
Colloquially the surprise round
>>
>>55041525

Only problem with PAM is you are now pretty much stuck with those.

If you are playing AL or a module with a discreet treasure/loot list, you might might an awesome magic weapon that you aren't going to be able to use your feat with.

I am playing a game right now and I know for a fact I will never find anything other than 'maybe' a +1 Glaive but at Lv6 we have already found 3-4 named swords with more than just stat bump magic.
>>
Guys, we're soon to fight a super powerful boss. He's got tons of HP and hits like a truck, but he's just a human. Which means no resistances and immunities beyond your standard Legendary Resistance.
Any tips on how to REALLY fuck him up?
>>
>>55041668
People like you are colloquially called "cocksuckers". That doesn't mean you truly suck cock.

Just because people still use the term surprise round, doesnt mean they still exist.
>>
>>55041668

That's misleading since actual rounds known as surprise rounds were in previous editions.
>>
>>55041678

What classes do you have? Any spells of note?
>>
That's okay, no one calls you anything.

>>55041686
It's not worth playing D&D with anyone that played previous editions, so it's fine.
>>
>>55041694
We have a monk and a cleric (with 4 level spells), the rest are martials.
>>
>>55041668
>go sneak up on an orcish warband
>only one of them doesn't detect you. He gets the surprised condition. No one else does.
>"SURPRISE ROUND"
Surprise rounds used to actually be a thing. Using the same term invites misunderstanding; there's a lot of folk that already don't understand how surprise works.
>>
>>55041678

What are your levels?

If you have access to 6th level spells then you can always try burning his legendary resistances, then polymorph+disintegrate combo.
>>
>>55041431
You're not interacting with the javelin, you're interacting with your javelin quiver.
>>
>>55041756
Stunning fists. Burn it all over his face.
>>
>>55041620

I took an Assassin Rogue as my first 5e character after not playing a TTRPG for years.

I just straight up told my friend that was the DM I am changing the character or building a new one. In 3 months that I had that rogue, I was able to the assassinate ability once.

As the name sake ability, it's fucking garbage. You need to be sneaking (with a party in some dungeon crawling area with sort of limits when and how you can sneak), you have to get a reasonably high Stealth (Dex) roll, you need to roll high on Initiative, AND you need a actually hit the target.
>>
>>55041795
Please point out where exactly that's a thing in the book. We will wait.
>>
File: 1499894276557.jpg (11KB, 320x220px) Image search: [Google]
1499894276557.jpg
11KB, 320x220px
>>55041795

>Throws entire fucking quiver at enemy
>>
>>55041757
Yeah, so he spends the round surprised. What sort of round would this be described as? One of surprise?

I can understand when people get confused if they have years of collecting nonsense, bloated rules in their heads but it really makes no sense to be confused by anything in 5e.
>>
File: mystic enemy archetypes.pdf (8MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
mystic enemy archetypes.pdf
8MB, 1x1px
Whipped up some mystic enemies for next week. Feel free to laugh, but constructive criticism would be more than welcome.
>>
>>55041795

>I'm not interacting with the javelins I'm interacting with my javelin quiver

OK you use your object interaction to take the quiver off your back.

Now what?
>>
>>55041795
>"I draw two daggers"
>But anon you can't do that, you don't have the dual wielder feat
>"Its okay I put them in my bag of daggers. I'm just using my object interaction on the bag"
>Oh okay anon
>>
File: 1365335862361.png (193KB, 500x421px) Image search: [Google]
1365335862361.png
193KB, 500x421px
>>55041805
they make up for it with their gamebreaking 9th and 13th level features
>>
>>55041858
1/all being a key word. If you're facing 20 orcs and only one of them is surprised, do you call it a surprise round?
>>
>>55041874
Ps. CR 12 was just a placeholder since I made these from an archmage base. I have no idea how to calculate that shit.
>>
>>55041890
There's literally nothing wrong with this RAW.
>>
>>55041858

Honestly, just describing it as a condition is easier.

"The surprised condition is a condition applied to creatures who failed to perceive a creature before it could attack. A surprised creature cannot take any actions or reactions until their next turn.
>>
>>55041955
Except that's not how it works RAW, anon. Please elaborate how it would work.
>>
>>55041923
Can't take you seriously after posting that image, sorry. Enjoy being a broken D&D player with a garble of nonsense DR and THAC0 rules floating around your head.
>>
How can I ensure the magic items I give as loot for my party end up with the right people? The fucking Bard has a +1 shortsword that was intended for the Rogue because he loots shit stealthily while the rest of the party is doing something else. He hasn't even used the sword because he just holds onto it because "it's shiny." Also he has 700 gold when ever other party member has 100-200, but he doesn't share because the rest of the party doesn't know he has it.
First of all, how can I discourage this shitty behaviour
Second, how do I make sure the fancy shield meant for the Fighter goes to the Fighter? Especially if two people in the party use shields, how do I communicate that it's for THIS person?
>>
>>55042007
>Implying I've played anything other than 5e.
I don't know what these are, anon.
>>
>>55041955

yes there is, if you're interacting with an object, you're interacting with THE OBJECT. You cannot interact with a "Quiver" unless you're interacting with the quiver itself, and in your case you're not interacting with the quiver, you're interacting with the javelins inside it.

You've yet to provide any references to the rules saying that you can draw more than one weapon per round.
>>
>>55042019
Find better players
>>
>>55042019
Make it something tied to their character, or something their character would want personally.
>The shield is emblazoned with scenes of an ancient battle/diety/is an immense and sturdy piece of metal
>>
>want to start trickling in interesting magic items into my game
>the DMG is full of spell items and +1 equipment

What are you favorite items you've gotten that are more than just a stat boost?
>>
>>55041923
>>55041982
really this doesnt matter because that anons houserule is literally to force a round where everyone but the rogue is surprised

this argument is stupid as fuck
>>
>>55042032
Yep. The only way around this is ammunition trait; it's fine to interact with a "quiver of arrows", because arrows have the ammunition trait and can be drawn as part of your attack - javelins do not, so you need to use an object interaction on them.
>>
>>55042019

Tell your players to stop being twats and play like a cohesive group, and to stop making characters that clash with the party.

If you can't do that, make the sword a sentient blade that longs for the thrill of battle, and actively tries to get away from the Bard to the rogue so it can see usage in combat.

If the bard doesn't give it to the rogue, the sword tries to possess the bard, using the rules in the DMG for sentient weapons.

If the bard manages to resist, the blade takes on the appearance of an old, rusted blade with no value.
>>
>>55042070
It's not discussing the house rule, it's discussing "how does surprise work". Unless you mean the dude arguing for "surprise rounds" is house ruling, in which case, likely yes.
>>
>>55042019
Make it obvious that this item goes to THIS person. By making obvious personal connections between the item and the one it's meant for.
So your fighter, say, comes from a noble house. So when he sees the rogue wielding a shield with his ancestral coat of arms on it, he'll have some questions.
Alternatively, don't give magic items with loot, give them with rewards to minor quests (essential parts of the bigger quest). Say, bard's mentor shows up and essentially gives him a magic lute for a favor. That favor takes the party to the dungeon, where they were already going to go anyway.
>>
>>55042032
>you can't reach inside a bag of caltrops and drop a handful out

Yes you can. There's literally no rule that says you can't.
>>
>>55042130
>it takes an action to spread a bag of caltrops out
>so if I spread out less than a full bag, it's free.
>>
>>55042130
Technically anon, there's literally no rule that says what less than a full bag of caltrops do.
>>
I thought that he surprised condition lasted until the surprised creatures NEXT turn, you know, the one that they actually get to act on. It doesn't make sense to end surprise as soon as their first (skipped) turn comes along. I think you guys are misinterpreting it.
>>
>>55042177
Bags come in different sizes. There's no rules against saying you can't hold more than one object in your hand. I can easily hold multiple daggers or javelins in one hand.
>>
Aside from Wizard, what's the best class if you want to be good at building a keep/castle?
>>
>>55042197
Nope, read the book anon. It lasts until their turn, at which point they lose the surprised condition and can take reactions. You're the one misinterpreting it.

But yes it's a mess.
>>
>>55042233
Forge cleric has Creation, Fabricate and Stoneshape
>>
>>55042242
>in order to pay anyone ever you have to individually give them money or have multiple bags filled with the exact amount you want to give them

Yeah that makes plenty of sense.
>>
>>55042233
Lore bard, as always, can steal the necessary spells.
>>
>>55042233
The best class for building a castle is a Sorcerer with Mold Earth and Wall of Stone. He's better than a Wizard because he can convert all his low level spell slots into 5th level for Wall of Stone.
>>
>>55042219
There's also no rules saying you can't hold nine great swords in the same hand, just that you need to have both hands free to attack with them.

And man it's sure convenient that caltrop bags come in different sizes but they all affect a 5 foot square.
>>
>>55042261

If you're paying someone you're not going to be in combat you fucking troglodyte.
>>
>>55042261
Why are you paying someone in combat, anon?

This only applies to combat rounds.
>>
>>55042130

Except the caltrops item specifically says you spend an action in order to spread them out over a 5ft area, you absolute dumpty.
>>
>>55042281
Are you so unimaginative that you can't think of a situation where you'd have to pass someone money in the middle of combat?
>>
>>55042274
Wall of Stone is pretty garbage for making walls desu
>>
>>55042304
Shockingly, in the midst of combat, it can be hard to give someone correct change. There's a reason when depicted in fiction it's usually
>dump purse out
>give entire purse over

I would rule you can dump your purse and try to get the result you want, depending on what's in it, or you can grab a handful for similar reasons, but this kind of interaction exists outside of the rules and shouldn't be used to reverse engineer things like the caltrops.
>>
A player of mine is kind of jonesing really bad for an adventure ever since the rest of the party went out for vacation during a huge cliffhanger and is talking me into doing a one shot for him and maybe a friend also set in Barovia. Maybe even In different timeline, like a hundred years prior to the events.

What are good adventures that I should try and work into? I was thinking the tome of tamachoan as some sort ancient dusk Elf temple but maybe you lot know something better, maybe from DM's guild or even adventures League?
>>
Resistance to nonmagical weapons, how does it work with ranged weapons?

I'd assume it has to be magical bolts or arrows but what if the cross/bow itself was enchanted?
>>
>>55042342
>this kind of interaction exists outside of the rules

Just like holding multiple objects in one hand. What is realistically stopping a goliath from holding three or four daggers in one hand? Nothing that's what.
>>
>>55042304
A round of combat lasts 6 seconds.

In that time an action, bonus action and object interaction occurs. The object interaction is free only for things that can reasonably done within a negligible amount of time.

You're saying you'd be able to count out money and give it to the person within a fraction of a second?

Or are you trying to compare a handful of caltrops to a handful of coins? Have you seen how big caltrops are?

You fucking weapon.
>>
>>55042360
Are you hitting them with the crossbow or bow?

Unless the magic bow applies something to the arrows (or generates its own magical arrows), they aren't magic.
>>
>>55042374
Considering someone can fire a crossbow 9 times within 6 seconds, yes, you should be able to count out exact change in 6 seconds, provided you have more than 10 int.

>You fucking weapon.

What did he mean by this?
>>
>>55042383
Yes they are.
http://www.sageadvice.eu/2014/12/09/magic-ranged-weapon/

Pretty sure there is an errata for this as well.
>>
>>55042421

You absolute pillock
>>
>>55042383
The bow is a magical weapon. It's used to attack a creature. Ergo, its damage isn't affected by resistance to nonmagical weapons.
>>
>>55042374
how retarded are you, that you can't count change in 6 seconds? You realize that's a task that burnout teens do every fucking day in retail, right?
>>
>>55042426
Interesting. Learn something every day.
>>
>>55042421

You're not using your object interaction to fire off a crossbow you bloody donkey, you're using your action.

An object interaction is for things that can be done in a fraction of a second.
>>
>>55042444
Like to not assume that the only way to use the magic part of a magic bow would be to swing it in melee?
>>
>>55042421
>comparing level 20 fighter using resources to schmuck counting out change.

>>55042441
Presumably they they aren't doing it in a stressful combat situation.

This is DM fiat territory. If someone ruled you can count out change quick that's fine, and inconsequential.
>>
>>55042451
You mean like counting change?

It LITERALLY lists this as an example in the PHB.
>>
File: rtfb2.png (283KB, 649x671px) Image search: [Google]
rtfb2.png
283KB, 649x671px
>>55042360
The ranged weapon being magical is sufficient to overcome resistance, even if the ammunition itself isn't magical. Remember that what has damage listed is "Longbow" or "Hand Crossbow" not "Arrow" or "Bolt".
Of course you'd know it if you read the errata:
Magic Weapons (p. 140). The section ends with a new paragraph: “If a magic weapon has the ammunition property, ammunition fired from it is considered magical for the purpose of overcoming resistance and immunity to nonmagical attacks and damage.”
>>
>>55042441
Hey man, those burnout teens work way harder and deal with way shittier wastes of carbon on a daily basis than most people with a "real" job. I did that shit in college and it's honestly way more work than tech support job I have now.
>>
>>55042421
Weapon is scot slang, I can only assume it's something on par with "wanker" or "cunt".

t. uneducated americlap
>>
>>55042473
>Presumably they they aren't doing it in a stressful combat situation.
you've obviously never worked retail.
>>
>>55042374
Don't call him that, you defense tool.
>>
>>55042486
Wow scots are retarded.
>>
>>55042499
Fuck off you magical wand.
>>
>>55042498
I have. And I would venture most of them would have issues counting change while actively getting screamed at, let alone people actively trying to murder them.
>>
>>55041106
So you ignore the conversion ratio?
>>
>>55042516
Do you kiss your mom with that mouth, you crappy armor?
>>
>>55042531
Pretty sure spell points and sorcery points use the same conversion-to-spell-slots numbers.
>>
File: 1499894276557.jpg (59KB, 314x420px) Image search: [Google]
1499894276557.jpg
59KB, 314x420px
>>55042476

Where you fruity nunce?
>>
>>55042529
and now consider we are talking about people who MURDER for a living, able to recite ancient dead languages from memory to cast spells that can level houses while goblins are chewing on their kneecaps, I reckon counting change would be a non issue
>>
>>55042582
Five pages down you dummy. We're talking about combat, not adventuring.
>>
File: change.jpg (90KB, 424x463px) Image search: [Google]
change.jpg
90KB, 424x463px
>>55042582
page 190
and before you say it, YES fishing a few coins is counting change, there are only 3 different coins the average person will ever see, copper, silver, and gold, it's easier to count than our coins
>>
Should I buy Sword Coast in an attempt to let my DM let me use cantrips from it? (I don't think he would unless he had a physical copy, probably, as he wants to keep things simple)
>>
>>55042654
No, fuck off with the Booming Blade/Greenflame Blade shit. I swear out of the entire book, these fucking cantrips are the only thing anyone ever talks about. They were a mistake.
>>
>>55042652

Aye maybe, but it doesn't say you count em.

Throwin' a couple coins willy nilly isn't the same as paying a person, you're not looking at the coins, you're just pulling a few loose.

Not only that, handing items to another character also takes an interaction, so paying a person would therefore require a full action, an interaction to get the coins, and an action to give it to the person.
>>
File: Capture.png (18KB, 1293x195px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
18KB, 1293x195px
>>55042700
>get BTFO and backpedal so hard you delete your post

This is so fucking great. Can't even admit you're wrong.
>>
>>55042691
So you're saying that if they weren't in the book, it would have faded to obscurity and been forgotten?
>>
>>55042700
there's a reason coins aren't all identical size and shape, you can count out several coins in a matter of seconds without ever having look at them.

And again, most commoners will only ever deal with copper, silver, and gold coins, all in a base 10 system, literally counting out pennies, dimes, and dollars.

Like I said before, if some burnout teenager can hand me my change in a matter of seconds, working with pennies, nickels, dimes, quarters, dollar bills, 5's, 10's, and 20's, an adventurer would have no problem fishing out some change working with only 3 coin types.
>>
File: IMG_0788.png (101KB, 210x195px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0788.png
101KB, 210x195px
>>55042026
>newfag doesn't know old editions
>>
>>55042754

Why are ye replying to me?
>>
>>55042806
Pathetic.
>>
>>55042754

I deleted that because I forgot that Caltrops specifically say that it takes an action, so you can't even use an object interaction for them.
>>
>>55041379
You're a wizard.
>>
>>55042828
>being embarassed on an anonymous image board
You must be new
>>
>>55042791

Aye, but in combat you don't have seconds, you have at most one second to interact with an object, you'd have to either have them in separate bags to be able to get exact change.

Also, back to the original argument, you wouldn't be able to withdraw more than one javelin using an interaction.
>>
>>55042700
>in the middle of a transaction when guards bust in
>count out the exact change and drop the money on the counter
>grab whatever you were buying
>run out

This is perfectly legal, both RAW and RAI.

>>55042828
No, you deleted it because the "you can only interact with ONE object" rule doesn't exist anywhere.
>>
>>55042851

I don't want to spread misinformation.
>>
>>55041410
Dunno why but it's what my group is running.
Thanks for the help anon.
>>
>>55042870
>you have at most one second to interact with an object

Where does it say this in the PHB?
>>
How would guys stat a satyr as a PC race?
I can't think of anything to separate them from from Tieflings too much. Especially with the SCAG innate spellcasting variant.
>>
Goddamn threadsplosion over here.

>>55025859
>so jaywalking is evil?
>>55026200
>Yes. In a small way, it's violating a principle you know to be best for everyone
>>55027085
>If you want an RPG where no amount of jaywalking will corrupt you past a certain point, play World of Darkness.
I'm sure jaywalking was invented by a paladin of conquest. https://youtu.be/vxopfjXkArM
>>55025919
>the Artificer is all wrong for Eberron, since Artificers aren't meant to be casters.
They were casters in all but name. They used magic. They used spell slots. The current version can still infuse items if you don't want to personally "cast spells."
>>
File: Wrong.jpg (44KB, 366x313px) Image search: [Google]
Wrong.jpg
44KB, 366x313px
>>55042879

That's flat out not true, if you look 2 inches up you'd see it says you get one interaction free, and then any more has requires your action.
>>
>>55042925

Reflavored Wood Elf.
>>
>>55042966
>count out and drop change: Free interaction
>grab item: Action
>run out: Movement

You want to try that again?
>>
>>55042995

This isn't about your scenario, it's about drawing two javelins.
>>
>>55042955

Artificers had to infuse objects though.
>>
>>55043004
Where did I mention javelins in that post?
>>
>>55041005
I gave my players their choice of race feats from the UA free at level one, because why not? It adds some flavor without giving then too much of a power boost at such a low level. And if it does, who cares? Then you can just throw stronger monsters at then.
>>
File: OYOGNtR.png (196KB, 329x337px) Image search: [Google]
OYOGNtR.png
196KB, 329x337px
>>55042925
ASI: +2 CHA +1 DEX or other way around
Size:Medium
Speed:30 feet
Keen Senses. You have proficiency in the Perception skill.
Fey Ancestry. You have advantage on saving throws against being charmed, and magic can't put you to sleep.
Tool Proficiency: Panpipes, and ability to use pic related once every long rest or some shit
Languages: Common, Elvish, Sylvan +1 one free
Which would be basically >>55042987
>>
I have a question about the leadership ability, it states:

Leadership (Recharges after a Short or Long Rest). For 1 minute, the knight can utter a special command or warning whenever a non hostile creature that it can see within 30 feet of it makes an attack roll or a saving throw. The creature can add a d4 to its roll provided it can hear and understand the knight. A creature can benefit from only one Leadership die at a time.

Does this mean that each turn, the character can grant this bonus to an ally? Or is it once per encounter?
>>
>>55043025

The whole argument started with a houserule that let people draw light weapons without using your interaction.

Some guy came and said it was nerfing javelins, people corrected him saying that it wasn't since javelins require an object interaction to draw by RAW, guy tried to argue that by RAW you could draw a javelin as part of the attack, people replied that only applies to weapons with the ammunition property, the guy then responded that he's not interacting with the javelins he's interacting with the quiver.
>>
File: 5c2d71d71c.png (2MB, 1936x1096px) Image search: [Google]
5c2d71d71c.png
2MB, 1936x1096px
what the fuck
>>
>>55043095
Maybe you didn't understand me the first time.

WHERE in MY POST did I MENTION JAVELINS?

I don't care about javelins. I care about idiots that make up dumb rules like "you can only interact with one object" when that clearly isn't the case.
>>
>>55043129
I can feel the tumors growing on my back.
>>
>>55043156
Stop pretending to be a /b/-tard from five years ago.
>>
>>55043141

Maybe you misunderstand

I don't give a shit about your post, I don't give a shit about you, I give a shit about telling the guy that you can draw a javelin as part of your attack, thereby letting you attack 4 times with a javelin, without a feat, is wrong.
>>
>>55041186
Pabstromancer
>>
>>55043014
And wizards had to prepare spells.
>>
>>55043178
Then why'd you spend the last 45 minutes arguing about loose change instead of javelins?

You could, at any point, man up and admit you were wrong, but you're so determined to get the last word in that your pride won't let you.
>>
>>55042887
You realize people do that on purpose here, right anon?
>>
>>55043129
I mean wizards is owned by hasbro
That image is still extremely degenrate
>>
>>55043222

Why? Because I was stupid enough to fall for the bait.

Either way, the rules are that drawin a weapon requires an object interaction, you only get one object interaction for free, and then it costs an action, therefore you cannot throw 4 javelins per turn without the duel wielder feat, only 3 times.

Holding two javelins
Throw Two Javelins
Use free object interaction to draw a third
Throw third.
>>
>>55042870
fishing a specific potion out of your bag is an object interaction, you think that's less complex than some coins?
>>
>>55043267
How? Other than Rainbow Dash being a Monk instead of Rogue, I don't see how it could be improved.
>>
why no one like edgy(my family died i will avenge them !!!!!!) characters, i mean, if the Player isnt autistic and roleplays well, you as DM can make a very interesting campaign.
>>
>>55043274
How are two people correcting you "bait"? We even used the PHB to prove you were wrong. If anyone's baiting here, it's you.
>>
If i want to play a monk(unarmed combat), must my character be the steryotipical "zen guy who hits things"? cant i be baddass like sebas of overlord?
>>
Anyone have any ideas for a feature for a miner background? Or any features in UA that might fit the bill?
>>
>>55043322
No. Likewise your Ranger must be Aragorn, your Barbarian has to be Conan, and if your Wizard isn't Dumbledore you can kick him from the group.
>>
>>55043314
You guys got completely lost in the argument, I can actually understand what javelin guy is saying, you turned the comparison into the argument
>>
>>55041379
Good luck against the sorc, in a one on 1 battle, he can wax that ass with meta magic.
>>
>>55043281

Honestly? No.

If I were DMing, if the player had more than one potion i'd require them to take an action to draw it, and if they wanted to drink it I'd build that into the action. If they're desperate I'd roll to see which one they grabbed.

if they have a handysack however I'd let them get it out for free, since that's the point of the handysack.
>>
>>55043360
You can't see how "You interact with ONE object, as in ONE coin OR the bag of coins" is wrong and should be corrected?
>>
>>55043322

Monks are the hardest to reflavor since they get flavor built in with stuff like astral projection
>>
>>55043283
I Couldn't tell you it hurts to look at
>>
>>55043303
You can, but it's just one of those red flags.
I really like irony, and so do my players, so often if a player has an edgy part in their backstory, it will become something humorous in the future.

I'd have to write a lot to help you understand why this was actually edgy, but one of my characters had a very mysterious book that demanded it be returned to its owner in a kind of spooky/edgy way.
Turns out the book was just overdue from the magical library. But it was a huge plot device and was a ton of fun.
>>
>>55043379
>if the player had more than one potion i'd require them to take an action to draw it, and if they wanted to drink it I'd build that into the action.

That's not how potions work. Drawing out two potions and drinking one doesn't work RAW.
>>
>>55043392

It wasn't about coins in that post, it was about caltrops (Which was wrong since they take an action) but I understand where it's coming from since cavalry caltrops are pretty fucking big, you wouldn't be able to get a handful of caltrops.
>>
>>55042019
I got to the point where I just started assigning loot instead of having players loot things because they're all fucking retards. It's still obnoxious to try and have anything environmental though.
>>
>>55043424

Nah man, that's not what I'm saying, I'd say if they wanted to pull out a specific potion out of a normal, non magical bag, i'd require them to use an action to search for it.
>>
>>55041923
>If you're facing 20 orcs and only one of them is surprised, do you call it a surprise round?
Of fucking course I do, why wouldn't you?
>>
My quality of life rules are very subjective. As the DM it's just like "you can draw/store whatever you want, just don't be ridiculous. Remember it's only 6 seconds."
And it works really well for our group.
>>
>>55043439
See >>55042700
>>
>>55043466
That's fucking retarded with zero basis. The PHB outright says that grabbing a potion from your backpack is free.
>>
>>55042066
Ram Ring is pretty slick, I've knocked a few guys out of windows using it. It's a pretty good ring to give to a fighter or somebody who wants some enemy control but can't get a lot of it.
>>
>>55043532

Maybe, but I find it silly you'd be able to pull a specific item from your backpack, that's what a handy haversack is for.

It may not be RAW, but I prefer it because it brings back Haversacks usage from previous editions, as opposed to making it a less useful bag of holding.
>>
Player's are attempting to venture their way to the Underdark because they have nothing to do at the moment after wrapping up a quest line.

I am a bit ill prepared for this as my players usually keep to the surface at almost all times. Any material I should read up on for the Underdark? Creatures that belong their beyond Druegar, Drow, Beholders, etc.?
>>
>>55043583

Don't forget Mindflayers, intellect devourers and most importantly Flumphs.
>>
>>55043571
We're discussing the rules here. Your own dumb rulings have no relevance.
>>
>>55043604
>mindflayers

fuck i forgot about them. Party is 6 level 7's. Seem around the right time?
>>
>>55043621
Of course

Make sure to throw a Urophion at them as well, your party will love that
>>
File: Untitled-2.png (222KB, 550x550px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-2.png
222KB, 550x550px
>>55043643
it will be done
>>
>>55043583
Drop a roper on them. Make sure he's hiding in an advantageous position - in a thin tunnel with a sharp turn, where only few people can fight him at once effectively.
>>
>>55043621

yeah seems about right.

A Mindflayer Arcanist and 2 Intelect Devourers is a "hard" encounter, but if it starts to look too easy due to the players having so many actions, have another couple of devourers crawl out of the brine pools.
>>
So what's the minimum level one should take in order to solo the Secret Shrine of Tamachoan?
>>
So my party's gonna die next session almost guaranteed. We're going up against the Elder Brain and probably 4+ mind flayers. We're a group of 4 level 7s. Goodbye world, it was a great campaign.
>>
>>55043842
Is there no escape plan?
>>
>>55043848
Not really. Pretty railroaded into fighting this thing or the world is doomed kind of thing.
>>
Rogue 3 (Arcane Trickster) -> Wizard 2 (Bladesinger) -> Rogue 15

Is this an ideal progression? Is there any reason to take more levels in Wizard?
>>
>>55042019
>>55043451
This. They walk into a loot room, basically tell each player what their character sees and let them take it one at a time.
>Rogue, you see a bag of holding. "Cool I'll take it."
>Fighter, you see a fancy looking magic shield. "Sweet, I pick it up"
>Wizard, you see a sweet looking staff
>Rogue cuts in "can i roll stealth to take it before he sees it"
>"No, you're distracted with your bag of holding, eat a dick"
>Wizard "I take the staff"

Always make the person liable to steal shit take their thing first
>>
>>55043842
>only 4 mind flayers near an elder brain

what fucking chumps, punish them for being retarded brain eaters
>>
>>55043862
Who cares about the world, all the assholes live there.
>>
What are everyone's thoughts on the deep stalker? My DM is letting us use the revised ranger and subclasses. Also i want to use melee weapons, am i better off dual wielding or using a one handed weapon and shield?
>>
>>55043885
and that's why none of those high level wizards help save the world
"Fuck these guys" *plane shifts*
>>
Would a Mind Flayer and Beholder ever work together if it meant greater mutual power gain?
>>
>>55043879
I see it going something like this.

>Elder brain casts mind blast, I need the party make a DC18 int save.
>2-3 out of 4 players fail
>mind flayers suck out brains
>gg
>>
>>55043092
It works the same way as Bless.
>>
>>55043886
dual wielding is pretty shit because you have to take a fighting style and later on a feat for it to keep up with other people, but if you want the flavor of dual wielding, it's perfectly fine to use it won't get you killed or anything. It also let's you trigger hunter's mark another time, but that's pretty minimal
>>
>>55043953
I like the flavor of it, but i wouldn't mind the extra AC of a shield, though if i do either I'll have to take warcaster to cast anything.
>>
>>55043924
that would be difficult, but I could see the mind flayer pretending to submit to the beholder, the easiest way to control the beholder would be to let it think it is in charge. The only other way would be to have the mind flayer manage to dominate the beholder but that would be far more dangerous.

Beholders, as a rule, do not work in equal partnerships
>>
>>55043998
>but I could see the mind flayer pretending to submit to the beholder

This could be fun to write up. Interesting idea. Underdark shenanigans are afoot so this seems fun.
>>
File: calm owl.gif (2MB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
calm owl.gif
2MB, 320x180px
>a new campaign with my college crew on Sunday
>I've been poking at some new setting details but haven't bothered to polish them at all because my players never really cared about that kind of thing
>figured I'd use them behind the screen for verisimilitude
>"Hey, DM, can I bring a friend?"
>we already have 5 players but I'm in a good mood
>somebody adds him to the group chat
>new guy: "Hey, DM, nice to meet you. So can you share with me any setting details you might have? I'm all about world design in fantasy settings."
>all I have so far are a few half-assed .txt documents on a couple different places and a fuzzy map
I don't know whether to be scared, excited, or fucking terrified
>>
>>55043953
can i dual wield greatswords?
>>
>>55043996
eh warcaster's nice for reasons other than the somatic part, you can just say you drop your weapon cast the spell and pick your weapon back up. the only issue that comes up is if you want to fuck with something and then cast a spell, but that's rarer than you'd actually expect it to be. I'm actually playing a dual wielder PHB ranger and it's not as bad as I thought it would be, but I'm also avoiding casting more than mark because I went STR DEX CON and barely have any wisdom.
>>
>>55044021
>he doesnt make deep settings with at least 20 .txts of 2000 words each
wew
>>
>>55044019
just keep in mind the riskiness of the con, as beholders are not much dumber than mind flayers (int 17 vs int 19) and are prone to eye-raying things they don't like
>>
>>55044021
I wish I could get at least ONE player like this.
>>
>>55044065
>2000 words
>not using your secret language so your players can't stumble upon it and is actually just one long line of symbols with no spaces or breaks
>>
>>55044021
This guy's a gift. You have ideas, bounce them off him, and relentless steal or "Ok, that happens" things he suggests when they're good.
>>
>>55043924
>>55043998
>>55044019
>>55044069
Look up a Mindwitness in volo's, I guess.
>>
>>55044064
Hmmm, i might have to give it a shot then, though i am entertaining the idea of a rogue MC
>>
>>55042654
>wants to keep things simple by requiring physical books

Is your DM a moron? Electronic tools are so useful it'd be stupid not to use them unless all the players are so bad phones need to be banned.
>>
>>55044065
>he doesnt create a language for each race of his setting
w e w
e
w
>>
File: 1361556143106.jpg (111KB, 680x839px) Image search: [Google]
1361556143106.jpg
111KB, 680x839px
>>55044065
I do a lot of writing and re-writing from memory when I'm dicking around with imaginary worlds, which unfortunately means that a lot of this stuff is very unfinished despite me spending a lot of idle time on it. It doesn't help that I tend to keep the settings I've thought more about away from my characters because I don't want to have to reveal all my lame ideas.
>>55044120
You see, that's exactly what I was thinking before it happened to me. What if my stuff doesn't match up to his expectations? What if, God forbid, I disappoint him? So I'm feeling a bit of pressure, but I think that if I can stay relaxed I'll be OK.
>>55044191
This is developing in real time, actually, and this just happened
>send a list of a few real-world cultures I plan on including as inspiration/pastiche in the setting and admit that I make up a lot of it as I go along because I don't know much history
>"Oh yeah, I'm actually a minor in [relevant historical field] so if there's anything you want to know I might be able to help. Also that sounds rad, that gives me the freedom to make the kind of story I want to, most likely"
I'll just have to hope this guy doesn't show me up too hard, I suppose.
>>
>>55043886
Depends on the level range you'll be playing. Dual wielding is great below level 5.
>>
>>55044233
that's...not exactly "working together"
>>
>>55044048
No
>>
>>55044284
Why below 5?
>>
>>55041902

Doesn't work as well when your DM has pure combat dungeon crawling...
>>
>>55044308
not that anon, but before 5, it doubles your number of attacks per turn, the more attacks you have, the less it does for you.
>>
>>55044308
That's when extra attacks start coming in.
>>
>>55044308

Because that's when people start getting extra attacks.
>>
>>55044276
i won t will be able to create a world in order to satisfy him right now, you should have done it before.
With this in mind, watch overlord, it will give some ideas about how pretend that everything was how you planned all alog
>>
>>55044288
but
why
mages can summon meteors
warrios cant dual wield greatswords(???????)
>>
>>55044379
>why
because they have the two-handed property, so unless you have four hands, they can't be dual-wielded.
>>
>>55044379
Just ask your DM if it's okay to add a Monkey Grip feat.
>>
>>55044339
Ahh, that makes sense then.
>>
I'm going to be hosting my first campaign via Roll20 in a few weeks, played via voice over Discord.

Is learning the virtual tabletop worth it, or should I just mind-theater the game and use Roll20 for dice rolls only?
>>
>>55044403
well you are too bound to rules
if i am strongh as fuck why cant i dual wield greatsword, i mean you would have to have a greater strenght to dual wield them for example a 16 strenght greatsword would need 24 strenght to dual wield.
>>
>>55044379

Honestly, I think that at late levels martials should be just as powerful as casters, basically becoming anime protagonists.
>>
I am about to play a GOO Warlock, my pact boom is tome, I'm struggling with spells. I wanted to go for control/debuff spells with emphasis on mind altering spells/psychic damage.
So far I have
>hex, dissonant whispers
>Mirror image, phantasmal force
>Hunger of Hadar, Hypnotic pattern
I might swap out mirror image for something else, since I already got mage armor from an invocation, and hypnotic pattern for fear maybe. Another thing I wanted to do was grabbing spells which scale with levels.
>>
>>55044490
>asks why they can't do something
>complains about rules
Why even ask?
>>
>>55044490

Being able to deal an extra 2d6 a turn is a lot.
>>
>>55044490
>example a 16 strenght greatsword would need 24 strenght to dual wield.
what the fuck are you talking about? There is no strength requirement for greatswords, and the cap for non-barbarians is 20 strength.

Have you even read the rulebook?
>>
>>55044515
I'm sorry, anon, but all you'll be casting is hex and eldritch blast. You sold your soul to Cthulchu for something you could have got with a magic initiate.
I'm so sorry.
>>
>>55044497
i agree with you my fellow frend
I personally like the guild system in Fantasy animes. They are better than their western counterparts.
>>
>>55044541
hehe
nice
>being able to timestop, paralyse, call angel, call demon, use great damage aoe spell, put enemy to sleep, buff yourself so youre basically imortal is not too much
kys magickfag
>>
>>55044490
Just pick up a flame tounge greatsword faggot, same damage
>>
Does a party need a Paladin or Bard? Will it suffer without one of those two?
>>
File: 1371683167650.gif (165KB, 685x521px) Image search: [Google]
1371683167650.gif
165KB, 685x521px
>>55044515
Oh yeah, and since I want to mainly be a backrow caster, which of these EB invocations is better?
>Grasp of Hadar
>Repelling Blast
>Frost Lance
Right now I have repelling since I wanna keep stuff away (and maybe push into AOEs)
>>55044563
I dunno, I like the flavour of Warlock and has some nice invocations.
>>
>>55044560
>the cap for non-barbarians is 20 strength

No it isn't.
>>
>>55044490
Being physically capable to carry two greatswords doesn't mean you are able to use them in one hand
>>
>>55044609
There isn't a "necessary" class, it's just that bards and paladins are really, really good.
>>
>>55044446
TWF requires a feat to be useful with anything besides light weapons. Fighters get the most weapon attacks of any class and would be silly to restrict themselves to Light weapons; Rangers as a class work better as archers than TWFighters (between class features and spells); Paladins don't get TWF style and thus have even less incentive to use it. That's just the classes with Fighting Styles. Rogues seem like a natural flavor choice for muh dual wield, but they don't even get Fighting Styles and have FAR better uses for their bonus action, and their class is focused on high-damage single attacks, rather than lower-damage multiple-attacks. You might think that Barbarians would be a good choice, but Barbs focus on Strength-based damage, which means that you're hobbling yourself by sticking to Light weapons, you don't get the Fighting Style without a multiclass, and you need them single-class levels because, again, you need a feat to make TWF work with anything past light weapons.

It's not a bad choice, and I'm actually running a TWFighter Champion right now, but ... at least in terms of optimization, there are better options.
>>
File: stat cap.jpg (33KB, 397x135px) Image search: [Google]
stat cap.jpg
33KB, 397x135px
>>55044648
you may want to read the rulebook before correcting someone.
>>
>>55044685
Fighters also get more ASI than anyone so they can take another feat without any problems.
>>
>>55044668
my idea is that dual wielding the greatswords would make them a bit more slow and do a bit less damage, but you would still can atack with them both in one turn making it worth.
>>
>>55044699
The cap is 30, and there are plenty of magical items that can increase your strength beyond 20.
>>
>>55044648
Yes it is you tard.
>>
Regarding normal folk what do the numbers in strenght mean?
i mean, a ordinary man, whats the number of strenght he have?
>>
>>55044728
Soft cap of 20, hard cap of 30
When discussing hypotheticals, you never assume magic items
>>
File: stat cap2.jpg (29KB, 384x109px) Image search: [Google]
stat cap2.jpg
29KB, 384x109px
>>55044728
magic items don't count, 5e has no magic mart.
>>
I thought you guys were smarter than this

this is entry level bait and I see several responses
>>
>>55044497
And that's how we got 4e.
>>
>>55044763
Every single published adventure has at least one magical item. Pretending they don't exist is retarded.
>>
>>55044763
>he plays 5e
wew
>>
>>55044784
pretending you can always have the exact magic item you need is even more retarded.

>>55044775
>this is entry level bait and I see several responses
I'm unemployed, i got nothing better to do

>>55044792
are you lost, little boy?
>>
there is any fantasy book that makes me feel like if i was reading an D&D campaign?
>>
>>55044705
very true; TWF is obviously most viable for Fighters, especially since they don't have consistently better options for their bonus actions. Battlemasters do, though, and I don't see why anybody looking to optimize a Fighter wouldn't play a Battlemaster. EKnight is okay, but meh. I'm only playing a Champion because I already planned for him to multiclass around a bit and didn't feel the need to get married to Fighter progression, and I wanted him to have Improved Critical.
>>
>>55044747
10 is average, you have no bonuses or negatives, most people have 10 in everything, of course you can change this as need be, more than 12 makes you pretty exceptional in that area.
>>
File: IMG_0981.jpg (90KB, 600x547px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0981.jpg
90KB, 600x547px
>>55044792
>>
>>55044814
>you can always have the exact magic item you need

No one remotely implied that.
>>
File: 1503048845409.png (129KB, 446x324px) Image search: [Google]
1503048845409.png
129KB, 446x324px
Shpuld I ban or allow Elemental Evil spells, y/n

I've heard by and large that they're uber overpowered and i don't wanna fish through all of them to pick and choose legal ones case-by-case
>>
>>55044827
having 20 strenght is no big deal then
i mean
you only have the strenght of two man, it's not like you can cut a tree in one swing or something
>>
>>55044845
>argued that the stat cap is 30 because you can have magic items
>No one remotely implied that.
im·ply
verb
strongly suggest the truth or existence of (something not expressly stated).
(of a fact or occurrence) suggest (something) as a logical consequence.
>>
>>55044876
Ability scores aren't linear
>>
>>55044867
allow
if this makes the campaign too easy begin to make opponents tougher
like a dragon god or something
>>
Hey anons which UA has the racial feats?
>>
>>55044867
They're fine for the most part IMO
>>
>>55044888
"Feats for Races"
>>
>>55041153
well this is why survival is wisdom and separated from intelligence, but ok...
>>
I'm making a paladin/sorcerer, should I get a level or two in hexblade for the CHA bonus to be less MAD or can I still make it work just fine?
>>
>>55044882
The cap on stats is 30. That's the truth.
>>
>>55041201
You should let the DM know because when he stuns and auto crits you then you will either need to take it or whine like baby about RAW
>>
>>55044940
>paladin/sorcerer
*vomits*
>>
>>55044985
of course you can never REACH that cap due to the OTHER cap, but, you know, you do you.
>>
>>55044591

Those take once a long rest resources.

If you let a fighter dual wield great swords every single turn they get a bonus 2d6 to their attack.
>>
>>55041005
Wouldn't people just take lucky as their free feat?, its just so versatile in all situations~
>>
>>55045007
You can with magical items.
>>
>>55041349
Tales from Yawning Portal
>>
>>55045042
that you'll likely never have access to, yes. We've already been through this.

Saying "well my DM will give me ITEM" is about as relevant as saying, yeah but our houserules say _____
>>
>>55045001
what monsters even cause stun?
>>
>>55045064

What about item crafting?
>>
>>55041379
15th level wizards don't have wish yo
>>
>>55045085
also DM fiat.
>>
>>55045064
Belt of Hill Giant Strength is only Rare, so it's not mindboggling that it'll pop up.

Claiming that players can never go beyond 20 strength is wrong.
>>
>>55044867
I mean, they're fine balance wise, but there's already so many spells in the PHB. Are more spells really all that necessary?
>>
>>55045094

I mean, it's going to have to NOT be DM fiat soon enough, given Artificer is going to become a thing and their whole schtick is crafting magical items.

Also, if your DM doesn't allow for crafting, fuck em, the costs and time already make it borderline unviable.
>>
>>55045068
Illithids.

Oh good Lord.
>>
>>55045109

yes
>>
>>55045109
Yep.
>>
So what are you guys hoping for september UA?

I'm expecting something shit like Greyhawk initiative and Three Pillars.
>>
>>55045109

EE is really handy for people who love themeing. There's only so many PHB options for a wannabe Earthbender, for example.
>>
>>55045158
Food & Provisions
>>
>>55045004
Problem?
>>
>>55043583
Check out Out of the Abyss, just run it for them
>>
>>55045168

That'd also be shit though, since most tables I know just ignore food and provisions.

I do especially since my campaign is rather high tech, and very few people go without food, and it's not hard to pack everything you need onto an airship or runerail
>>
>>55045158
an update to the revised ranger than makes it so caster ranger is an archetype and makes hunter better. not gonna happen though
>>
>>55045182
>I'm expecting something shit
>That'd also be shit though
You get what you ask for
>>
>>55044867
Allow. A lot of them are pretty weak, but there are some great ones like Absorb Elements (godsend to rangers) and Earthbind which is the best FUCK YOU to flying wizards short of dispel magic
>>
>should I ban officially published material?

If you have to ask this you aren't fit to be a DM
>>
>>55045242

Think about this though:

Volos is official published material too.
>>
>>55045242

dude some ppl straight up axe gnomes and dragonborns, i don't think asking about the quality of a splatbook is too far
>>
>>55045199
the problem with taking away magic from the base ranger is they wouldn't have anything to distinguish them in combat from a fighter, unless you're also willing to move the animal companion into the main body of the class (which would have some design advantages but probably annoy people too).
>>
>>55045258
Volo's is fine and brings much needed variety.

>>55045265
And they're retarded. If you ban stuff straight out of the PHB, you might as well find a different game.
>>
>>55045258
True, but Volo's is fun
>>
>>55045280

It adds races that have negative stat modifiers, which is counter to the design of 5e, it also has Yuan-Ti which are ridiculously powerful and shouldn't be allowed at a table.
>>
>>55045158
the artificier and mystic revisions so I don't have to wait till 2018 for something more interesting than "pointless subclasses and new mechanics nobody will use"
>>
>>55045274
the main way I would fix that, for hunter at least, is to give hunter all the shit they can choose from at levels 3, ,5, 11, and 15. I know fuck all about beast so I don't know what to add to make up for lack of spells, probably just more interaction between the pet and the ranger.
>>
>>55045068
Any spellcaster, Vrocks, beholders, Empyrean, Intellect Devourers, Mind Flayer, Mummy Lord, Myconid Adult, Myconid Sovereign, otyugh, ultroloth, gauth, catoblepas, dark scion, flail snail, grung elite warrior, alhoon, mind flayer lich, elder brain, ulitharid, mindwitness, vargouille, martial arts adept, and I believe many demon lords and other special characters
>>
>>55045308
A race, not races. And Yuan-Ti is fine.
>>
>>55045312

Given how 5e is about making things simpler, I dunno if we'll ever get a good Artificer.

Artificer is all about making and using magical items, and without good crafting rules I don't think that's possible.

Wondrous invention was a horrible way of implementing the "crafting" due to how limited it was, and the fact that it was essentially giving it you for free.

Additionally, few of the artificers features were geared towards the usage of magical items, they were more geared to hording them.

I was expecting Use Magical item from thief, and maybe even ability to use magical items as a bonus action.
>>
>>55045308
Those are variants, not using them isn't the same as banning anything
>>
>>55045342
>without good crafting rules I don't think that's possible.
Downtime UA?
>>
I'm a new player to 5e.

I value being annoying to enemies (both in-combat and socially) over direct damage and being versatile with skills.

What are some classes I should check out?
>>
>>55045385
Try bard
>>
>>55045385

Bard is a good choice. Lots of annoying options that limit enemies in ways beyond directly hurting them, and you won't hurt for skills.
>>
>>55045359

The time to craft on magic items was just awful.

Scribing a fireball spell takes 20 days, making a bag of holding or +1 item takes 25 days, a folding boat takes 250 days.

Keep in mind ANY class can craft like this, and artificers are meant to be better at crafting than any other class.
>>
>>55045399
>>55045405
I'll take a look. Anything else I should put on my list? Rogue?
>>
>>55045385
bards can literally annoy enemies to death.
>>
>>55045427
wizard, probably conjuration or transmutation, has lots of shit that just bugs the fuck outta people
>>
>>55045416
that's because you're not supposed to be sat around crafting shit. players get magic items from adventuring. the artificer is a fundamentally bad idea for a class.
>>
>>55045445
>transmutation
Like full metal alchemist?
>>
If you're multiclassed with a class that has a higher hit dice, could you instead choose to expend that hit dice on a short rest?
>>
>>55045416
So just use the same rules and have Artificers require less time?

Magic shit is supposed to be time intensive.
>>
>>55045456
What the fuck you're not supposed to find magical items if you do your DM is shit.
>>
File: wat.jpg (20KB, 428x501px) Image search: [Google]
wat.jpg
20KB, 428x501px
>>55045474
>you're not supposed to find magical items
>>
>>55045427

Rogue is good for skills, and there's some subclasses with tricks that can help annoy people.
>>
>>55045456

Oh fuck off, the artificer was an amazing addition to previous editions and is the core class of eberon, which is one of, if not THE best setting for DnD.
>>
>>55045332
No its both orcs and kobolds
>>
>>55045456
Are you autistic?
>>
>>55045471

You shouldn't tie a core class feature to time like that, because a lot of DMs don't give time to do downtime activities.
>>
>>55044065
>tfw my setting document is 65 pages
>>
>>55045526
Is it really that different from warlocks and fighters being so tied into short rests?
>>
>>55045462
not nearly as physical as the alchemist's get, but you can do some funky shit with transmutation spells
>>
>>55045551

Short rests basically HAVE to be given out, they're only an hour long and there's guidelines for how many to give.

magical item crafting can take from 5 days up to 10 years according to the downtime, there are no guidelines to how to give downtime, no other classes require this, and most campaigns and stories don't HAVE this kind of time to give, since there's a sense of urgency to most campaigns.
>>
>>55045469
if you're wizard 3/fighter 3, you have 3d6 and 3d10 you can use as many of what you have but only what you have
>>
>>55045576
>VERB NOUNS OF THE ADJECTIVE NOUN, a hot new campaign with old school trappings
>experience all the ADJECTIVE REGION has to offer, with over 72 unique and fully fleshed-out locations to explore
>SANDBOX stylings allow you to choose where to go and what to do; the world is your, well, sandbox
>oh but you're on a timer and everyone dies if you don't complete the quest in 17 days
>>
Is Elemental Evil good or nah?
>>
>>55045004
>>55045177
I would also like to know, I want to play a paladin/sorcerer
>>
>>55045638

No, it's evil, anon.
>>
>>55045643
I'm guessing it's the chosen by god and you were born with special powers that's combined with the multiclass
>>
>>55045643
Paladins are warriors of the gods, they shall suffer not the taint of the foul magic.
>>
>>55045638
It's evil and everyone involved is a shithead deserving righteous purging.

Or did you mean the Princes of the Apocalypse campaign based on the old Elemental Evil module? Because it's legitimately the best or second best of the 5E campaigns.
>>
>>55045632

Not everyone runs sandbox campaigns.

A lot of people run campaigns that have a BBEG, and that BBEG has a plot that he wants to complete, and especially at higher levels that BBEG needs to be stopped with haste, and if you're sitting around for weeks trying to make a bag of holding next thing you know is that the whole of ADJECTIVE REGION is now ruled over by demons and everyone is enslaved or dead.

This also fails to address the heaps of other problems I mentioned with the way artificer crafts.

Honestly, artificer crafting should just be tied to gold, level and long rests.
>>
>be mystic with high-level fighter
>Ready the Command to Strike discipline power for when the fighter starts attacking the big bad
>use reaction to use it
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3472Q6kvg0 starts playing
>4 attacks action, 4 attack action surge, 4 attack reaction, 1 attack bonus action GWM
>13 attacks dealing 2d6+15 damage each not counting crits and superiority dice
>RULES OF NATURE
>>
File: wewtrump.png (271KB, 726x587px) Image search: [Google]
wewtrump.png
271KB, 726x587px
>>55045474
>>
>>55045697

Honestly you shouldn't be finding magical items, you should be buying them, gotta do something with that gold, and 5e sucks for things to spend on.
>>
>>55045717
Please be bait.
>>
>>55045717
>gotta do that thing the developers explicitly tried to avoid to maintain game balance
ok.jpg.pdf.com/edu
>>
>>55045661
>>55045666
5E paladins aren't warriors of god, they're warriors of an oath. Either way

>Sorcerer was sent by family to be a wizard at wizard school, but never really had any talent for actual study and would rather disregard that ivory tower shit to help people as a paladin

I just made that up in 5 seconds, If you're gonna fault the build fluff reasons aren't an excuse..
>>
>>55045691
One of 5e's design principles is magic items being fairly rare. The difficulty of crafting magic items is intentional. It's not a problem with the system, it's a problem with the whole idea of the artificer. The class kinda worked in 3.5e when you supposed to find magic items under every rock (and even then it was broken) but it doesn't really belong here.
>>
>>55045546
>tfw setting has tons of inconsistant splatbooks
>>
>>55045752

It's one principle I abhor and one they NEED to fix so that artificer and eberron can work in 5e.

They can't just NOT make anything for Eberron, since a shit tonne of people think it's the best setting.
>>
>>55045751
I wasn't even saying that I didn't like the idea of pal/sorc, I was just guessing why the other guys were.
>>
>>55045752
artificier can work just fine, it just needs to be more focused on "the stuff you make are your unique class features and how you gain most of your power" like the pathfinder alchemist instead of "DMG magic item assembly line" like the 3.5 artificier was

the current UA is some weird mix of both that does neither well, although frankly the "you were working on this Offical Magic Item the whole time, honest" feature's only problem is that there's nothing talking about what happens if you lose it. I guess they dont want people to try and break the economy by selling their items every level up but its not like gold fucking means anything or there aren't other ways for you to rip off pretend merchants using actual spells
>>
>>55045778
>They can't just NOT make anything for Eberron

do... do we tell him the official setting bros?
>>
>>55045813

I know Forgotten Realms is the official setting.

And I hate it, I find it to be one of the WORST settings.

It's generic and trite and has been done to death.

The only setting that's worse IMO is probably Dragonlance.
>>
>>55045827
>It's generic
That's exactly why it's the default setting, anon
>>
Why does my 5e Spellbook app not show SCAG spells even though I have SCAG enabled in filters? Does it do this for anyone else?
>>
>>55045752
>One of 5e's design principles is magic items being fairly rare.

Not really.
>>
>>55045848
I mean... it literally is though
>>
>>55045848

Yeah, they may have said that originally, but they broke that idea quickly by shoving magic items everywhere in published adventures.
>>
>>55045845

But 4e's setting was generic, and it was also brand new, with lots of stuff to actually write about.

Forgotten Realms is just the result of a Fa/tg/uy jacking off and inserting his fetish material into a setting.

(Fuck Ed Greenwood)
>>
>>55045848
Compared to previous editions, absolutely.
>>
>>55045882
>But 4e's setting was generic, and it was also brand new, with lots of stuff to actually write about.
That must be why 4e is so successful
>>
5e's design principle regarding magic items is "magic items are not needed or expected." They made the system flexible enough that a DM doesn't have to shovel +3 vorpal staffs of the magi into every hoard... but potentially can if they want to, with the caveat that they scale up encounter difficulty.
>>
>>55045862
Why is there a huge list of Uncommon magical items?

Why does Wizard's designated "babby's first D&D adventure" hand them out like candy?
>>
>>55045891

Well it's CERTAINLY not why 4e failed if that's where you're going.

A setting that had potential to be good doesn't make bad mechanics any more bearable.
>>
>>55045862

Look at lost mines of phandelver, a module that is designed for levels 1-5.

look at how many magic items it gives out.
>>
>>55045928
>>55045947
LMOP doesn't really give out an incredible amount of magic items. Almost all of them are hidden or behind quests, and only a few of them are actually good.
>>
>>55045778
>It's one principle I abhor and one they NEED to fix so that artificer and eberron can work in 5e.

Eberron doesn't even REALLY need the artificer. Making items is NPC work, you don't need a PC class dedicated to it. That's why it ends up such a confused mess, to the point where they've given it a weird robot buddy because they weren't sure how else a class whose identity is "makes items" should contribute in combat.
>>
>>55045978

>Almost all of them are hidden or behind quests

Like magical items should be.

Just because they're not a +3 Vorpal sword doesn't mean they're not good.
>>
>>55046001
>Just because they're not a +3 Vorpal sword doesn't mean they're not good.
That doesn't mean Boots of Striding and Springing are good either
>>
>>55045989

Honestly the thief subclass for rogues could have easily been passed off as an artificer if it let them use magical items as a bonus action.
>>
File: 53e.png (27KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
53e.png
27KB, 200x200px
As a Life Cleric of level 13, if I cast Cure Wounds on someone at 6th level, would I gain 8 HP or 2 HP?

I'm not sure if I get healed back based on the initial spell level or the level I casted the spell.
>>
>>55046017
I don't know the boots are pretty good for a dwarf's first or second magic item
>>
>>55046057
>>55046057
>>55046057
>>
>>55046043
yeah but a lot of items are good under the right condition. That doesn't make them "good" items.
>>
>>55046069
It's a low level adventure, BoSS are not bad at all at that point
>>
>>55045978
>Gauntlets of Ogre Power (Uncommon)
>Potion of Flying/Invisibility/Vitality (Very Rare)
>Ring of Protection (Rare)

All of these are great, and three of them are some of the rarest magical items in the game.
>>
>>55046092
>rarest magical items in the game.
>(Uncommon)
>>
>>55046042
EVERY TIME a feature refers to a spell's level, it's referring to the level it was cast at, unless explicitly mentioned otherwise.
>>
>>55046101
Three potions.
>>
>>55046101
>three of them
>three very rare items listed
Anon
>>
>>55046104
Affirmative
>>
>>55046121
come now, you can't expect me to read an entire post, can you?
>>
>>55045385
I will second bard, but Battlemaster Fighter has a thing called "goading strike" that forces people to attack you if I remember right.

Swashbuckler might have something similar, but I don't have the book it's in to check.
>>
>>55045658
HEH
>>
>>55041005
In our group, our GM loves adding extra monsters and stronger monsters and giving things the odd extra ability or legendary action, so in return he gives everyone 2 Bonus feats at level 1. These bonus feats MUST be from Racial feats UA, or Skill feats UA.

The extra health stops goblins and housecats being lethal at level 1, and the extra stats from many of the feats mean people have more freedom in their character and race, starting with only a 14-15 in their core stat isn't such a huge issue. You can play the Dwarf Wizard you wanted and take one of the skill feats to start with 16INT. Plus it means some characters get these quirky abilities to use every now and then.
>>
>>55041756
Monks destroy legendary resistance, because they can easily land a blow and say "stunning blow.", and force them to use a legendary resist if they fail.

Then come the other three attempts to stunning blow, once he is out of legendary resistance to a relatively minor resource, he will be vulnerable as all hell.

Another tip, nets.

If anyone has Crossbow expert, Sharpshooter, the Lucky feat or just good to-hit rolls and feeling lucky, try hitting with a net.

No save to avoid it, you have to spend either an action or an attack to shrug it off. If he doesn't, he is martial-bait, although if he has legendary actions he might be able to make up for the lost action.

And whoever your strongest martial is, Grapple-prone is the nearest thing to interesting and effective that martials can do.
>>
Tome of beasts of Volo's guide to monsters?
>>
File: 1489189037108.jpg (100KB, 500x565px) Image search: [Google]
1489189037108.jpg
100KB, 500x565px
>As far as I know, my party enjoy playing DnD. We're mostly first-timers.
>DM is doing a fine job for his first time, I'm getting quite into the game.
>Suddenly messages me after a slightly slower session about maybe calling the whole thing off because he feels as if others aren't that into it or that they're just there for social obligation.
Is this a thing that DMs do?
I can't go back to NO D&D.
I have so many character ideas.
>>
My character just died, and the back up I had planned, a Forge Cleric, just got veto'd by the GM who decided that "Yeah, I've had a look at them and they seem too powerful if they stack all the buffs on themselves so, sorry I'd rather not allow it."

I just wanted to give my friends blazing swords, summon blade barriers, and enchant the armour of my allies to support the team while occasionally throwing out a big SMOITE.

SO looking for other ideas, party lost two other members too so team composition doesn't matter so much.

If it helps any, it's a NotJapan setting if that helps the feelings flow.
Thread posts: 423
Thread images: 29

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.