[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ Dungeons & Dragons Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 364
Thread images: 32

>Unearthed Arcana: Three-Pillar Experience
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-ThreePillarXP.pdf

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Trove:
https://dnd.rem.uz/5e%20D%26D%20Books/

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread: >>55027108

What is your favorite encounter from your most recent campaign?
>>
First for KILL THE INFIDELS
>>
Til could get some help? I don't have much experience in D&D. Some of my friends and I are starting a new game. We started at level 2, and right now I'm a Rogue 1/Bard 1, but I don't really know how best to find my own niche in the party. So far, besides me, there are:

Cleric 2, Trickery
Sorcerer 2, Wild Magic
Warlock 2, Fey Pact of Tome
Fighter 2, Eldritch Knight

What are my options, and what would you recommend?
>>
>Shadow monk 6/rogue X

This is stupid. At those levels you're better off sticking as a Monk. If anything it should be Rogue 1/3/6 and the rest in Shadow Monk.
>>
Session 0. What are some of your favorite ways to bring a party together? The "meet in a tavern" is the standard trope, but there's more engaging ways to do it.

Do you session 0? What do you like to hash out?
>>
If you're a blind wizard casting magic missile, would this mean magic missile automatically fails?
>>
>>55033786
Yes.
>>
>>55033754
>SOMETHING JUST EXPLODED
but can only run that with the same group once-ish
>>
>>55033786
You probably can't cast it in the first place as you have no valid targets.
>>
>>55033754
Craig's List.
>>
What's the best fantasy equipment and why is it Seven League Boots?
>>
>>55033754
My party began on alters about to be sacrificed to Kyuss.
>>
>>55033754
A major event in a city brings everyone together.
That way you can ask each person:
>Why are you in this city?
>How long have you been here?
>Where did you come from?
>What are you doing?
>Where exactly are you WITHIN the city

My favourite way is a raid on the city by something that the guards can't fight off by themselves. Give each player a 5 minute section of what they're doing in the city all on their own, then basically "you hear a commotion coming from the east," then cut to the next player, do the same thing, until you can cut to the area where the event is taking place and have them all arrive there. Maybe at different rounds in the combat depending on how far away they are since they're going to be spread out across town.
They fight off the raid, and basically the city is all "oh shit you guys are heroes you saved us all" and progress from there. Give a plot hook to them immediately after the raid while they're still all together so that they don't go "well nice meeting you guys guess I'll just go my own way now"
>>
>>55033754
I like having everyone start off as prisoners. You can only get away with it at the beginning of a campaign anyway, so might as well go all out.
>>
>>55033883
Have you played or ran Out of the Abyss?
>>
I'm a warlock because Ive never played one and Im joining a campaign midrun. I'm going to play a green dragonborn blade pact archfey whose obsessed with crafting the ultimate poison. If I have to multiclass in order to save myself, which direction should I go?
>>
>>55033883
Prisoners also gets you an easy method to ship them off somewhere, good hook. There was a thread a while back where someone was talking about shipwrecking some prison ship and then making the party conquer some tropical isle full of primitive types to build a HQ and get the fuck out/contact mainland sorta deal. Sounded like a fun campaign.
>>
>>55033709
Monk 6 grabs you
- stunning strike
- magic punches
- shadow teleport
- extra attack
- a decent amount of ki per short rest

Then rogue increases your skills, damage, bonus action economy costs, and so on. Monk 6/rogue X will have more damage output than full monk.
>>
>>55033924
Briefly.
>>
R8 these magic items.
Briefplace
A brown briefcase with a combination lock. Upon entering the correct 4-digit combination, it opens up to a ladder leading into a furnished office space. A single hallway contains 5 doors with bedrooms behind them. A hidden room exists behind a bookcase in the main room.
If attuned, the item can be summoned by spending 1 hour of concentration. Attempting this while inside the space sends both the briefcase and anyone inside into a random location on the astral plane, and the lock changes combination.

The Grim Beacon (requires attunement)
Appears as an iron lantern with a grinning skull on the front.
If a creature within 30 feet of it dies, the wielder may spend their reaction attempting to trap its soul by making a charisma check competing against the target’s charisma saving throw. Upon a successful trap, the item gains 2 charges. One charge heals a target within 30 feet for 2d6 + your charisma modifier, the other deals damage to a target within 60 feet for 3d6 + your charisma modifier. The Grim Beacon may trap one soul per sunset.
Curse. This item is cursed, and upon the next time its user hits 0 hit points, they automatically fail 2 death saving throws, and immediately roll the third.
>>
>>55034041
Not totally sure how important magic fists would be. It's not a finesse weapon, so you're using a weapon anyways. I guess it lets you flurry of blows magic fists, but I feel like you're likely to be using your bonus action via cunning action. I guess it gives you another tool but eh.
>>
File: 1452188462033.jpg (276KB, 1400x1060px) Image search: [Google]
1452188462033.jpg
276KB, 1400x1060px
I'm planning on running a mind flayer campaign where the players essentially pick a character of theirs that had died in a past campaign, they are thrown into a hall way full of doors and must pick one to go through eventually working their way through all of them. They'll all be in different worlds, I've got a bunch thought up but I'm having trouble coming up with ideas for a kids next door type scenario, issue being the characters most likely won't be children.
Should I supply them with a potion that turns them into kids for that campaign, or would it be more fun if I kept them as adults?
>>
>>55033709
>>55034041
Can you flurry of blows with sneak attack?
>>
>>55034084
No, but you can use a short sword with Extra Attack and achieve the same thing with another d6 + dex as a bonus action attack.

If you go swashbuckler you can then get out of dodge for free.
>>
>>55034084
Nope. It's not a finesse weapon.

You can sneak attack and *then* flurry of blows, but you're not getting anything special off of it.
>>
>>55034041
Diamond Soul is better than anything Rogue will give you past level 6. Damage isn't everything (which won't be that different anyway).
>>
File: IMG_4518.jpg (204KB, 806x908px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4518.jpg
204KB, 806x908px
>>55033637
Hey anons, what books/supplements/UAs do you guys consider essential?

My friends and I have access to all of them and wanted to start up a game again.
>>
>>55034096
>>55034102
What if you make it with a shortsword?
>>
>>55034114
PHB/MM/VGtM
Revised Ranger

Most of the rest isn't essential, but only a few standout character options are outright bad.
>>
>>55034130
You can't flurry of blows with a short sword. It specifies unarmed attacks.
>>
>>55034176
Flurry of blows is not part of your attack. Also short swords are monk weapons.
>>
>>55034200
Those are 2 factual, but irrelevant statements.
>>
>>55034200
Yes, but flurry of blows doesn't specify monk weapons. It specifies unarmed hits.

You can make a sneak attack with a short sword, make another hit, and then flurry of blows after. Nothing is stopping you on this. But you cannot apply sneak attack to flurry of blows.
>>
>>55034214
You can take Flurry of Blows after you take the attack action. You can attack with anything and still get FoB.
>>
>>55034176
So short sword attack with sneak attack and then the unarmed strikes, is that doable?
>>
>>55034246
Yes. Which absolutely no one is disputing. You can use sneak attack and flurry of blows on the same turn. You cannot sneak attack *with* flurry of blows.
>>
>>55034246
Once again, those are true facts. Once again, they have nothing to do with sneak attacking via flurry of blows.
>>
>>55034214
>>55034241
oh no I didn't read the previous comments right. The bonus attack granted by using flurry of blows is purely unarmed and not inherently related to what's in your hands at all. Yall are correct.
>>
>>55034256
Yes. Absolutely fine, unless you're using or plan to use your bonus action elsewhere. You're best off getting mobile feat or going swashbuckler if you do that, because it frees your disengage as a bonus action to back away.

Also swashbuckler makes it much easier to sneak attack.
>>
Just did the math. Rogue 6/Shadow Monk 14 comes out to 47 average damage, Rogue 14/Shadow Monk 6 is 51.
>>
>>55034214
>>55034130

How being a rogue/monk works:

1) Attack: if you have advantage or are attacking someone with an ally there, you can add sneak attack.

2) Flurry of Blows. You spend a ki and do 2 unarmed strikes. If you have advantage or are attacking someone with an ally there, you can add sneak attack damage to one of them.

Either Flurry of Blows attacks or your main attack count as attacks. You can add your sneak attack damage to any ONE of those rolls.
>>
>>55034323
You can't sneak attack with unarmed strikes, even as a monk. They aren't finesse weapons.
>>
File: Read Nigga Read.jpg (327KB, 500x572px) Image search: [Google]
Read Nigga Read.jpg
327KB, 500x572px
>>55034323
Except you can't.
>The attack must use a finesse or a ranged weapon
>>
>>55034337
Oh right FUCK disregard. Goddammit WotC just make them count as finesse you know you want to.

>>55034348
I SAID DISREGARD.
>>
>>55034323
Unarmed strikes aren't considered finesse weapons.
>>
>>55033834
Craig does run a really good business. Lots of adventurers got their start being contracted by him.
>>
>>55034275
Swashbuckler's basically auto sneak
>>
>>55034365
>>55034372
>>55034337
They really really don't want to. They want to get ever so close to giving them finesse without actually reaching finesse.
>>
>>55034323
Everyone has jumped on you for the finesse thing, but also pointing out you can only sneak attack once a turn. Turn being specific; if you can in some way attack when it's not your turn you can get more sneak attacks: ex: opportunity attacks, commanders strike, being hasted and using your second action to hold your action until a triggering situation occurs.
>>
>>55034365
There's no need to be autistic.
>>
>>55034392
>>55033834
New idea for an "Adventurer's Bulletin Board" kind of thing
takes 10-15% maybe mostly low level crap with the occasional higher one
>>
>>55034421
You're acoustic
>>
>>55034421
Stop acting like a Jew.
>>
>>55034437
>acoustic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvEin4SOOgY&ab_channel=BreakofReality

Anon you okay?
>>
File: fathom horror warlock v0-1.pdf (4MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
fathom horror warlock v0-1.pdf
4MB, 1x1px
Tweaked it a little bit since last night, what do you guys think?
>>
Want to make a wizard who runs around grifting as a fortune teller. What should I do? I've never built a wizard before but I was thinking divination with the entertainer background?
>>
>>55034421
Where do you think we are right now?
>>
>>55034468
sounds about right if you're gonna be honest, if you're gonna bullshit go charlatan
>>
>>55034480
Don't make me feel these feels ;_;
>>
>>55034143
Thanks anon
Anything else?
>>
>>55034468
That's exactly the right track, my man. Do you remember Professor Marvel from the Wizard of Oz? Go for that.
>>
>>55033754
I roleplay session 0 with any number of similar premises. My favorite is conscription to the local militia. They'll run through training regimens to determine their abilities and are conveniently placed into the same squad/platoon. Players come to the table with names, backgrounds, races, and the like already decided (about half of a character sheet), and by the end of the session they'll have determined stats (2d6+6, 2d4+7, 1d4+1d3+2d3dl+4... I like to go crazy with odd rolling methods that are pretty statistically sound), class, equipment, gold, and the first plot hook.
>>
>>55034500
divination criminal blackmailer could be fun.
>>
>>55034365
You sound buttblasted. There's no need to be upset.
>>
>>55034513
I dig it.
>>
>>55034495
Like i said, character options are mostly fine, they tend towards weaker than default options so won't generally cause issues. Personally I'd never allow Healing Elixir from UAStarterSpells or the Thuerge and Lore Wizard archetypes, wizards don't need even better options when they are the "best" class.
>>
>>55034518
Is "there's no reason to be upset" like a new faggot codeword or something, like "friend of Dorothy" used to be? I keep seeing faggots saying it all the time.
>>
>>55034544
2hu?
>>
>>55034544
>like "friend of Dorothy" used to be?
Wait, that's what that phrase means? I've been describing myself as such because I'm made out of tin. God damn it, now everything that's happened to me is making sense!
>>
>>55034544
It's telling you to stop being a little bitch and to stop you from going full autistic when you were rightly told you were wrong.
>>
>>55034575
I think my theory makes more sense. The guy is clearly looking for dick.
>>
>>55034462
I love me some 'lock, gonna hold onto this
>>
>>55034584
Do you need psychiatric help?
>>
How can I just completely break something to fuck with my DM? I play a 6th level Battlemaster. I want to do something that just turns his facial expression to pure disgust, whether it's cheesing a fight or doing something out of combat to completely break a scenario he set up.

Also, what are the best ways that you have made your DM absolutely disgusted? Think like, "casting Thunderwave at 6th level while inside a dragon" disgusted.
>>
>>55034636
2d8? Just attack twice with a longsword. You're level 6 so you've got extra attack by then.
>>
>>55034683
First of all, thunderwave at 6th level is 7d8
Secondly, it's the concept that's disgusting, not the number
>>
>>55034636
Why would you do that? Why are you being a piece of shit?
>>
>>55034636
Cooperate with someone on your team who can paralyze an enemy. Then action surge and hit him with 4 attacks which will all be crits if they hit, and spend a superiority dice on every attack. If you use a Greatsword you can do 16d6+8d8+(STR*4) in one turn. I would be pretty disgusted if one of my players did that.
>>
I'm going to a con this weekend that is running DnD games. What am I in for here?
>>
>>55034713
I don't want to be an asshole, I just want to totally catch him off guard and get some laughs. Just like a one-time thing
>>55034721
Like this. This is great.
>>
>>55034730
DnD, anon.
>>
>>55034562
>accidentally been calling yourself a faggot for who knows how long
Oh lord, I feel sorry for you
>>
>>55034603
Prolly.
>>
>>55034736
I'm just wondering if anime conventions were a decent place to game or if I should avoid it.
>>
>>55034760
It'll probably be fine.
>>
>>55034760
>going to anime conventions for any reason
>>
>>55034694
Its 2d8+1d8 per spell level, not character level, so character level 6 is 3rd spell level at best, or 4d8.
Secondly, I can see I didn't properly preheat my joke before serving
Thirdly, 6th Battlemaster is the wrong material to try and break the game with. There aren't many things that can to begin with, and Battlemaster, while flavorful, is pretty vanilla as far as combos go.
>>
>>55034760
Expect catgirls.
>>
>>55034783
>Its 2d8+1d8 per spell level, not character level, so character level 6 is 3rd spell level at best, or 4d8.
Are you retarded? Whenever someone says "casting a spell at X level", they mean spell level. Jesus fuck.
>>
I just posted my first ever LFG listing on Roll20. What can I expect?

I had a pretty stringent questionnaire; I posted it a couple threads ago.
>>
>>55034733
>see special enemy given some focus, whether spell caster or martial
>attack, disarming strike. Knock its weapon or focus out of hand
>kick item away, free interaction
>attack, tripping strike, knock it prone
>action surge
>attack, menacing strike. Make it scared of you.
>attack, grapple.

Now it can't use its weapon (or can't use spells that have material focus), is on the ground (all attacks versus it have advantage), its frightened so it wants to get the fuck away from you, and it's grappled so it doesn't have movement to stand up or to try to get away. So it's stuck to the ground.

Ideally you've something you can blow your bonus action on as well.
>>
>>55034783
Oh I meant casting Thunderwave from a 6th level spells lot. Sorry bout that
>>
>>55034790
It's better than the yaoi paddles.
>>
>>55034824
>>55034790
Why not both?
>>
>>55034807
Oh man, I have shield master so I can shove him prone with the bonus action and have a leftover attack just to shit on him a bit more while he's prone
>>
>>55034834
Far as I know, yaoi paddles have been banned. They are no longer a thing.
>>
>>55034796
Yeah, but the Battlemaster is level 6. Should I really compare that to Wizard 11?
>>
>>55034777
Meh my cousin is super into them so I'm going to tag along. I'm not gonna dress up but I'm a faggot so I plan on getting laid, playing role playing games and drinking all weekend.
>>
>>55034838
Instantly regretting asking, but do you know why?
>>
File: Ainz_012.png (1MB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
Ainz_012.png
1MB, 1366x768px
I want to play a wizard necromancer, and basically be Skeletor. What do I need to make sure I do with my build to ensure the maximum amount of campy evil is brought to the party?
>>
>>55034462
I love the flavor and most of the abilities, but I think that some need to be tweaked. I'd change the following:
>Level 6 is very conditional
>Anchor moving something 20 feet in any direction is very strong, can be 20 feet straight up for 1d10 falling damage
>Sea Serpent's phrasing is a bit odd, you only have warlock spell slots of a certain level
>Siren Song should have a level requirement, level 2 AoE charm without using a spell slot is strong
>Blistering Barnacle's target has no repeat saving throw, so if they do not have a buddy they are guaranteed 10 turns of barnacles on one failed saving throw
>>
I remember noticing that one spell was in the book but not in anybody's spell list, but now for the life of me I can't remember what it was called; does anyone know the one I'm talking about?
>>
>>55034850
I'm assuming because of heavy bruising.
>>
>>55034851
Skeletor's Accent
>>
>>55034694
>6th level Battlemaster
>Has three 1st level spell slots
>Thinks they can cast a 6th level spell
>>
>>55034878
Yes, of course! I am polishing my impression but it still needs some work.
>>
>>55034835
Be aware then that you'll have to drop your weapon to grapple, as your other hand is full of shield. But you can open with the bonus action, and you'll have advantage on every following hit. You can skip the tripping attack then and just hit him with what ever maneuvers you have outside of that. Just fuck up his day.

If you really want to make someone go "motherfucker", try to use shoving strike to force his big baddies off of cliffs or such. It's not a dick move, because it's about making your character shine with their given tool set. But it can Be hilarious if it shuts down something dramatjc
>>
>>55034879
It was just an example of something that can get a funny reaction from a DM. Obviously I know I can't cast a 6th level Thunderwave as a Battlemaster. I give up.
>>
>>55034920
>came here to fuck with their DM
>got fucked with instead
pottery
>>
>>55034897
Yeah I'll probably drop my sword and grapple him at the end.
I've always wanted to knock a baddie off a cliff but my DM never really puts cliffs in combat
>>
>>55034920
We're sorry for assuming you were genuinely looking for advice, and not doing some kind of comedy bit.
>>
>>55034850
People more or less just attacked people with them. Wasn't uncommon for chicks to rub up and smack guys on the ass with a solid wood paddle and shout "yaoi!"

It's cringe-y, and assault.
>>
>>55034935
there has to be some way to wizard up a cliff for the fighter to throw people off of.
>>
>>55034939
I probably should've explained myself better since the tone of the original post made me look like I was just trying to be an asshole rather than just trying to get a one-time "what the fuck just happened" from my DM
>>
>>55034462
Has someone been playing darkest dungeon.
>>
Is there a good one of those color-coded thingamajiggers on playground for Artificer?
>>
Swashbuckler. Is it me or do they near always get SA?

>RAKISH AUDACITY
Starting at 3rd level, your unmistakable confidence propels you into battle. You can add your Charisma modifier to your initiative rolls.
In addition, you don't need advantage on your attack roll to use your Sneak Attack if no creature other than your target is within 5 feet of you. All the other rules for the Sneak Attack class feature still apply to you.

So they get it in a 1v1

>SNEAK ATTACK
Beginning at 1st levei, you know how to strike subtly and exploit a foe's distraction. Once per turn, you can deal an extra Id6 damage to one creature you hit with an attack if you have advantage on the attack roll. The attack must use a finesse or a ranged weapon. You don't need advantage on the attack roll if another
enemy of the target is within 5 feet of it, that enemy isn't incapacitated, and you don't have disadvantage on the attack roll

And per normal SA they get it if they have an ally engaged with their target.
>>
>>55034956
Mmmmmmaybe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dEqQd_2Cng
>>
>>55034955
Yeah, you really should've worded it better instead of making yourself seem like an asshole.
>>
>>55034968
Congratulations now you know why people play swashbucklers.

They can't do it if they've disadvantage
>>
>>55034968
They always get sneak attack
>>
>>55034968
>>55034978
Combine with bard's JoaT on initiative and alert and just laugh at everyone going behind you.
>>
File: sa.png (84KB, 620x861px) Image search: [Google]
sa.png
84KB, 620x861px
>>55034978
>>55034996
>>55034998
Why does Jeremy bother making this clarification if they always can get SA?
>>
>>55034851
Once you hit level 6, feel free to multiclass with any other full spellcaster class to get more necromancer flavor. Just use animate dead on higher spell slots due to how multiclassing with spellcasting classes works. Some good examples are:
Shepherd Druid gives you AoE healing, temp hp + grappling advantage, or advantage on ranged attacks against targets in the AoE for your undead hordes
Satire Bard lets you backflip away from danger constantly and give skeletons bardic inspiration dice
Stone Sorcerer lets you compelled duel and tank for your minions with great AC and hp
>>
File: dw.png (303KB, 514x261px) Image search: [Google]
dw.png
303KB, 514x261px
>>55034968
Talking of Swashbucklers. Since they were designed to use two weapon fighting why is the DW feat so underwhelming?

Wow 1 AC.
>>
>>55034969
Imagine if you had a DM with a voice like the narrator's.
>>
>>55035019
Because people are retards. See >>55034323
>>
>>55035033
You also get to use a rapier as an off hand weapon.
>>
I have a wand that gives advantage for lightning/water/ice spells, any spells I suddenly need? Level 5 (maybe level 6 soon) Sorc
>>
>>55035033
Dual wielding Rapiers is pretty good though.
>>
>>55035061
Main and off hand weapon. Feat-less two weapon fighting requires light weapons in both hands.
>>
>>55035071
>gives advantage

Well you better get the ones that are attacks, otherwise it does nothing.
>>
File: Sergey Zabelin.jpg (307KB, 753x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Sergey Zabelin.jpg
307KB, 753x1200px
>>55034858
>level 6

I'm kind of on the fence with this one. I feel like it's conditional, but it's a condition that will come up a LOT.

Depending on the campaign, you'll likely either use it all the time, or not at all. Not sure how I'd modify it to make it more versatile.

>anchor movement

That's assuming a failed acrobatics check, but I hear you. Most of the weapon special effects are pretty damn powerful, all told, so aside from the unintentional extra damage a 20 foot move isn't necessarily out of the question.

Might just lower it to 15 feet because that would eliminate the straight up push doing damage, IIRC.

>Sea Serpent

The more I look at it, the less I'm sold on giving it a smite-type effect. I'm thinking of what else I could slot in there to replace it that would make the invocation worthwhile, but keep the sea drake from being instantly better than any other familiar.

>Siren Song

You think level 5 would be a good requirement? That's about what it feels, to me.

>Blistering Barnacles

I mean, it's a concentration spell, so there's always smacking the caster until it goes away.

Right now it has initial saving throw / action to remove / gank the caster as removal conditions. That strikes me as a lot already, without giving an automatic saving throw to remove each turn on top of it.
>>
File: Pirate_Parrots.jpg (83KB, 700x751px) Image search: [Google]
Pirate_Parrots.jpg
83KB, 700x751px
>>55035061
>>55035072
Ah yes. However, any DM worth their salt will allow you to reflavour the scimitar as a rapier for that pirate feel.
>>
>>55035071
Oh, and my spell list is
Shocking grasp
Bolt of Fire
Mage Hand
Friend
Ray of Frost

Shield
Magic Missile
Mage Armor

Web
Scorching Ray

Lightning Bolt
>>55035087
Yeah, that's the problem. I guess I could grab Ice Knife.
>>
>>55035022
Thank you, I'll ponder these options carefully.
>>
>>55035061
>>55035072
You could already use Shortswords though and you don't have two-weapon fighting to add your dex mod to your bonus action strikes. The average 1 point extra is not that big a deal for a rogue who could be moving around the field or something.

In my game Dual Wielder also allows you to increase your Strength or Dexterity by 1, that way its not so outclassed by just taking the Dex increase or Str Increase.
>>
>>55035019
Because they don't "always" get SA, but they make it a lot easier for melee SA's, to the point they damned near always get SAs.

Basically:

If target is within 5 feet, and you don't have disadvantage, you get SA
>>
>>55033754
Typically as prisoners or otherwise refugees.

It means they start of unarmed / unarmoured which I like a lot as a personal thing.

It means the first session is tense and at least seems quite lethal.

It sets up a big bad if you want it to

It sets up the world (prisoners to a corrupt nation / slavers / what have you)

and its just a good reason why a mix of people would be together and more importantly stay together throughout a campaign.
>>
File: 1393803497835.jpg (85KB, 300x334px) Image search: [Google]
1393803497835.jpg
85KB, 300x334px
>>55035114
>>55035086
>>55035033
>Rapier is 2lb not considered light
>Scimitar is 3lb but is considered light
>>
File: 60.jpg (131KB, 640x1103px) Image search: [Google]
60.jpg
131KB, 640x1103px
Important question:

What is the best way for a warlock to get the Two-Weapon Fighting style?

Bonus points for the smallest amount of level dip in a multiclass, or for extra fringe benefits from a slightly larger dip.
>>
>>55035114
1d8 is bigger than 1d6

I know the average difference is 1 point but it FEELS better
>>
>>55035148
I think they're all equally the worst way.
>>
>>55035148
warlockX/fighter1
>>
>>55035033
Because feats in a lot of cases reflect what should be open to anyone in the first place. But dual wielding rapiers isn't a bad deal; you've one less AC than someone with a shield, and can do 1d8 with each hit. If you're a rogue it gives you a second attack to trigger SA.
>>
>>55035141
It's almost like light refers to wieldiness and not weight.
>>
>>55035033
Also this is how I face palmed and realized rogue in my group is doing rapier + dagger with no feat or fighting style. And probably adding dex mod to second hit.
>>
>>55035148
Definitely Fighter
>>
>>55033684
That's a really harsh position because of the rest of your party.
Spread out more and focus on even more skills?
>>
>>55035148
Start as fighter so you can wear heavy armor and get a fighting style.
>>
>>55035163
>If you're a rogue it gives you a second attack to trigger SA.

You can only trigger SA once per turn. If you didn't get it on your first attack why would you get it on your second?
>>
>>55035183
>>55035202
>>55035148
Get dat Action Surge too
>>
>>55035209
Just in case you miss the first attack
>>
>>55035209
If you fail the first attack the second attack can do the SA. Any attack with a finesse weapon can trigger SA. You can only activate it once per turn.
>>
>>55035132
>If target is within 5 feet, and you don't have disadvantage, you get SA
Not true, you only get it if you
A) Are following the regular Sneak Attack rules
or
B) If no creature other than your target is within 5 feet of you and you don't have disadvantage.

Still, it's like 99% of the time though.

>>55035148
Multiclass into a Fighter or ask your DM if you can get the Two-Weapon Fighting style with a Paladin multiclass. If those are not to your liking see this homebrew, there are a lot of different Pact of the Blade Invocations, one of them makes it so you can have 2 pact weapons and have the TWF style while using them.

>>55035152
I know it feels so much better, but then you realize that you could just drop two weapons altogether and just use Booming Blade and you're suddenly amazing!
>>
>>55035209
Because you can miss, anon.
>>
File: 1365375448549.jpg (27KB, 345x395px) Image search: [Google]
1365375448549.jpg
27KB, 345x395px
>>55035249
>miss

I don't understand.
>>
File: CritFailBanner[1].jpg (367KB, 970x545px) Image search: [Google]
CritFailBanner[1].jpg
367KB, 970x545px
>>55035251
I do...
>>
>>55035239
We were talking about swashbucklers, anon. Context is important. Swashbucklers can SA as long as their target is within 5 feet and they don't have disadvantage - they don't need an ally to be nearby like regular SA.
>>
>>55034636
Capture enemies.
Rape them.
Demand their secrets.
Rape them again.

Use the excuse 'It's a form of interrogation.'
>>
File: 147121843132.jpg (84KB, 657x658px) Image search: [Google]
147121843132.jpg
84KB, 657x658px
>>55035033
>Taking the feat when +2DEX is mechanically superior

Dual Wielder Feat:

+1 AC (conditional)

Non-light weapons (d8s)

More stowing and drawing (Your DM probably doesn't care)

+2 Dex, giving +1 to your modifier:

+1 AC (unconditional)

Finesse weapon damage bonus (d6+1)

To-hit bonus increased which increases likelihood of proccing SA

Initiative increased

Stealth, and other dex-based skills increased
>>
>>55035239
Booming blade only gives one chance to trigger SA. It's absolutely superior if you can reliably hit target, but two chances but to hit is useful.
>>
>>55035277
>not taking the feat after you have max dex
>>
>>55033637
Are you allowed to rotate the shapes? For example, can you cast a line spell pointing upwards?
>>
>>55035315
yea
>>
>>55035268
You did not read my post properly anon.

You do not get sneak attack on your target as a swashbuckler if another creature is within 5 feet of you. Unless that creature is an ally or an enemy of the target you will lose sneak attack against your target unless you can get away from the other creature, which in some cases may provoke AOOs.

>>55035279
True TWF is the safer bet, but I like my large damage outputs from time to time.
>>
>>55035315
Yes
>>
>>55035097
That'd be a cutlass, anon, not a rapier.
>>
>>55035330
>You do not get sneak attack on your target as a swashbuckler if another creature is within 5 feet of you. Unless that creature is an ally or an enemy of the target you will lose sneak attack against your target unless you can get away from the other creature, which in some cases may provoke AOOs.

First attack without SA procs fancy footwork which makes you immune to AOOs. Move to next target offhand attack SA.
>>
>>55035330
Fair. My mistake. Posting from mobile.
>>
>>55035330
Say it with me kids:

Fighting 1-on-2? No Sneak for you.
>>
>>55035352
That will work in a 1v2 situation but not in a 1v3+ situation. Regardless it's a big reason why Swashbucklers like dual wielding. >>55035372 This anon's got the right mindset.
>>
>>55035330
>>55035372
Fucking swashbucklers and their need to showboat.
>>
>>55035372
Can't you just cunning action disengage, move so one mob isn't within 5 feet of you, attack the one that still is, then back away?
>>
>>55035389
It's a lot harder to plunder without one.
>>
File: tumblr_ore76lY6ZN1v4fvg9o1_1280.jpg (121KB, 873x948px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ore76lY6ZN1v4fvg9o1_1280.jpg
121KB, 873x948px
>>55035389
I mean what do you expect us to do? Contain all this style and panache?
>>55035404
Yes, you can but now you can't dash out to get some distance.
>>
>>55035404
That's maneuvering so that you're 1-on-1.

Fighting 1-on-1? Damage done.
>>
>>55035414
you'll still have the fancy footwork but given that you're moving adjacent to multiple enemies your routes are becoming limited.
>>
>>55035478
Bonus action disengage means you don't provoke OA all turn. As long as you're not completely surrounded, you're fine.
>>
>>55034078
>Briefspace
Sort of takes over Mordekainen's Magnificent Mansion, but it's smaller and relies upon the object. I would remove the teleportation factor and keep it from being storable in a bag of holding just so that it's more valuable and needs more security.

Also once per long rest to prevent abuse
>>
>>55034078
How much time does it take to enter the combination and open the briefcase? For how long can you use the place inside, does it stay forever? Can you use it as many times as you want? What happens if someone closes the briefcase while there are people still inside it?

I like the Grim Beacon, but does the Curse only works once? So if you don't die that time it never affects you again?
>>
I wanna make me a Warforged Not!-Gundam, with the aim to mix a bit of melee and a bit of pew pew, and I'm not sure what'd work better.

Hexblade Bladelock, or Stone Sorcerer?
>>
>>55033637
>https://dnd.rem.uz/5e%20D%26D%20Books/

Rest of AL adventures when?
Lost Tales of Myth Drannor when?
TOA when???
>>
>>55035729
Gundam are like 20 meters tall though.
>>
>>55035816
Maybe he's a mini-gundam.
>>
File: latest[2].jpg (25KB, 358x400px) Image search: [Google]
latest[2].jpg
25KB, 358x400px
>>55035907
What like a Ball Gundam?
>>
>>55035816
>>55035928
>>55035907
In my case, think of it more like an SD Gundam if that's what helps. Or like a robot that simply looks a helluva lot like a mobile suit.
I'm gonna annoy the shit out of DMs using Animate Objects on daggers and using them like funnels I'm already sure
>>
>>55035389
Can't stop us
>>
>>55035995
The Warforged being considered lackluster by my group got a number of such races or "classifications". Stuff like Interceptor class or Vanguard class. The Goliath class has the powerfull build feature and actually stands at 10 feet (we use a 1.5" base). Pair that with fancy armor and you might be on your way.
>>
File: crawling head.png (429KB, 739x961px) Image search: [Google]
crawling head.png
429KB, 739x961px
Repost from last thread.

I did what I'm sure is an amateur job of converting a crawling head to 5e, please tell me all the things I did wrong.
>>
>>55036061
Unfortunately, no homebrew with this thing, but all UAs are allowed

I'm just wondering which of the two I should go for.
>>
>>55036230
1. Doesn't look very CR 14 to me.
2. Assuming optimal approach the fight will be extremely boring: first the monster casts 3 fingers of death then is shot at from distance until it dies because it cannot catch up with it's speed nor do anything else after the fingers of death are done.
>>
does (Recharge 5-6) mean recharges in 5-6 rounds or "at the end of every round roll 1d6, on a 5 or 6 it recharges)
>>
>>55036315
I had a hell of a time calculating the CR, it was a goddamn nightmare going back and forth from the 3.5e damage and the 5e proficiency and HP, just to give examples.

And yeah, it's very glass cannon-y. It's definitely a fight that benefits from minions, lots of undead minions. That way it rushes the ranged guys with undead while murdering anything that can get close with tentacles.

Maybe if the tentacles had some range on them? It didn't in 3.5, but I don't see why not.
>>
>>55036333
The latter
>>
Is a green hag disguised as a lone lady encounter along the road a good idea to try mess with 4 level 2's? I'm a really new DM and I want to try give the part a fright from pushing around NPC's, yet to discover a big town but they were physically and emotionally bullying my first quest giver with no repercussions.
>>
>>55036336
In general when converting monsters, it's better to look at the idea, then scratch everything you know and make the monster from nothing using 5e stats. 3.5 monsters had rules with subtypes, hit die, saves and attack bonuses running off those dice, contrarily 5e has nothing of the sort and instead uses "err yeah this will probably work for the monster so let's use that".

As for speed and range, just give it a way of catching up with enemies that have 30 speed. Extra reach, more speed, some slowing effects, hard terrain aura that he is immune to, whatever.

Second most important thing is the attack bonuses: +15 is too much especially with 5 attacks. Comparing to 3 other MM enemies of cr14, they have +11 to hit, less attacks and less damage. Cutting it's strength mod to +6 might just about fix that.
>>
Paladin 2 / Wizard X?
Divination Wizard with smite sound like fun.
Necromancer with smite sound like fun too.
>>
>>55036410
Go for it. Players need to have consequences for their actions. Be fair though. Give them a clue or two that something is off but don't tell them until they mess up. Make your world scary.
>>
>>55036336
When converting anything into 5e, you need to decide on the theme, what you want to get out of it and just ballpark it. 5e is different enough that you'll always have a hard time if you intend a strict conversion.
Forget what you know about other editions when working in 5e.
>>
>>55036617
A necromancer with crusaders mantle is pretty good, especially if your DM allows Oath breaker, but you're going to be a little MAD
>>
I can't think of anything for my players to do next
>Destroyed some hobgoblin camp, they're going to find a holy symbol on a goddess of death and destruction on the captain
>Heading off to speak with an archmage, because sorcerer wants to know more about magic
>Know a pair of npc's who are cursed, but they've completely ignored the info I gave out about a ritual some druids could do to remove it

I don't want to just say "ok this happens and then you guys leave and this happens" I'd like to make some more options for PC's to do but I really can't think of anything
>>
>>55033637

To what extent do you guys roleplay based on your attribute points? I'm wanting to play an Oath of Conquest Paladin with 16 starting strength and charisma because I'm a filthy powergamer but with my int being a dump stat it interferes with how I imagine my character actually being as I want him to be *relatively* quick-witted (not genius level or anything, but certainly not stupid), should I actually act like someone who is below average (but not retarded) intelligence or can I act however I imagine my character acting in all circumstances except skill checks?
>>
>>55037031

16 starting strength and 14 charisma*
>>
>>55037031
Think of it more like this way, your character isn't a tradition "nerd" or "geek" from a highschool setting, but he is a Jock with with good grades, he isn't outwardly intelligent but he still is smart by his own right.
>>
>>55036617
Go sorcadin, Wizards are not nearly as much of a meme.
>>
>>55037048

That's good, I just didn't want to be locked into acting like a bit of a dummy because I had -1 to int.
>>
>>55037031
I suggest following your initial vision as PHB almost directly suggests that you can fluff low INT as whatever you want, from absent-minded forgetfullness to street smarts over book knowledge. Given that INT is the usual dump stat for the array method, ruling every single non-wizard as a drooling idiot would make very little practical sense.
>>
>>55037031
What the other anon said, oooor... you could dump dex
>>
>>55035329
>>55035331
Flame strike may actually be worthwhile then.
>>
How's the fiendpact bladelock/devotion paladin multiclass? I started off as a warlock, currently level 3, and intend to take it mostly as flavor.
>>
File: 1ab.png (11KB, 756x130px) Image search: [Google]
1ab.png
11KB, 756x130px
Anyone else kinda wish there was some advantage to having an empty off-hand with Dueling? Like the name would imply there's some incentive to not using shields but unless you're an eldritch knight there's really no point, especially since there's nothing akin to a parrying dagger or anything.

I'm shit with rules stuff so idk if it's just something you can patch over by throwing on a free +1 to hit if the off-hand is empty or something
>>
>>55037258
Grab a shield. The extra AC is nice.
>>
>>55037258
How about just adding parrying daggers?

>Parrying Dagger: 1d4 piercing, finesse, light, special
>special: As a reaction you may add your proficiency modifier to your AC value against a single attack. This reaction is made before the attack is declared as a hit but after the attack die has been rolled.
Y/N?
>>
>>55036801
>>55036516
Thanks. I figured there was a way to do it, but I suppose not.

I appreciate the feedback on stat reworks. 30 STR seemed way too high for a headless, undead version of Jabba the hut, so the lowered strength looks like it'd do much better.

I'll try and post an updated version and see what you guys think.
>>
>>55036876
It'd be better to go War Domain Cleric as he can get crusaders mantle at 5th instead of a 9th paladin.

Of course as clerics can get animate dead you could just go straight war cleric with skeleton friends
>>
>>55037349
Honestly I would just refluff a shield. Same price, same AC bonus, but it's a dagger instead of a shield.
>>
>>55037058
Think of yourself as that open minded jolly old uncle whose face lights up and becomes delighted when he learns something new.
>>
>>55037010
Players like being told what to do
>>
>>55037390
Yeah that's why the Oath breaker qualifier was pretty important, because I was lobbing the aura of Hate on top of it too
>>
>>55037349
Here's how you can do it better:

As a reaction you can subtract 1d4 + Dex to a damage roll
>>
>>55037445
"better"
>>
>>55037391
Huh
I am a silly billy, i really shouldve thought of that
>>
>>55037445
that's stepping on Parry's toes a bit isnt it?
>>
>>55037463
That's exactly what it is. All fighters should have battle maneuvers anyway, and this is always never as good as a BM while still being something diferent.
(And also being something that the BM can still have when they run out of superiority die)
>>
Anyone have any ideas on what I call my Wood Elven nation elite?

In my settings current region the wood elves most skilled warriors ride Giant Owls and act kinda like mobile flying light cavalry/assassins,

Often during the dead of night they swoop in on the owls near silent wings and take out enemy sentries/patrols etc enmasse and generaly fuck with the enemy and terrify them.

During more open battle they are more generic air archer cavalry, but like uber elite.

But I can't think of a good name for them. I was thinking something like Nightblades or Shadowhunters but they feel like the name are trying to hard or too edgelordy.

So any ideas?
>>
>>55037498
Birds of Prey
>>
>>55037208
Please respond.
>>
I want to impose some restrictions (moral code) on my paladin with refluffed oath of conquest, but I am not sure what to do, any ideas? Oath is pretty much "Tolerate no dissent, law is absolute", but it says nothing on the laws themselves, so I want to make up laws that he would follow. Using local laws screams "Please put me against corrupt politicians".
>>
>>55037445
Maybe better for standardisation, but then again at the same time I'm basing my version on how parrying works for creatures.

Refluffing shields is the way I would go if I was a player, but some people do want their shit to be more unique.
>>
Can you use reach weapon to shove?
>>
>>55037390
But going pure War Cleric mean you are trading free +3 damage for 3rd spell slot and concentration slot +2.5 damage
>>
>>55037589
The laws are the laws where you swore your oath, and all other laws are false. A devotion paladin might accept that laws are not the same everywhere and can vary from place to place while still being good, and a vengeance paladin would probably focus on hunting those who broke the laws of his local area and then fled, but a conquest paladin must accept only one way: his own. If someone weaker than you is following some local custom you disagree with, force them to do it your way instead or you fall.
>>
>>55037258
Grab a shield, or grab your enemy, or grab a thing you're climbing, or grab a potion without playing musical chairs with your held items. The benefits of having a hand free are so numerous and obvious that I shouldn't have to list them.
>>
File: 4685064-4451384-9545587070-41115.jpg (257KB, 1172x1280px) Image search: [Google]
4685064-4451384-9545587070-41115.jpg
257KB, 1172x1280px
>>55033637
If a warlock was going to worship pic related, what do you think the patron powers would be like?
The spells would probably be Necro + transm for nurgle, Divination + Illusion for tzeentch, evocation for Khorne and maybe enchantment for slanesh.
What spells and Patron powers do you guys would fit best for each of them?
>>
>>55037700
That's close to my aim (though I forgot that when I CAN I must make my way of things), but the problem is picking the laws. I think how hard would it be for group even with simple "No lying", since previous session we had to deduce which one of the six traders is working against the guild without everyone finding out about this fact, current session had us beaten by iron golem and unless Bard and Warlock find the item (some dagger or sword of religious importance) we need to find without any fights (going invisible), we will try to lie to our higher up.
>>
If you could only play one class for the rest of 5e's existence, what would it be and why?
>>
>>55037798
Wizard because it's fun.
>>
>>55037773
Immunity to diseases for nurgle
1 additional known spell for tzentch, with the limit that It has to be ilusion or divination
No Idea for slanesh
Khorn gets more armor and shield
>>
>>55037773
Patrons don't give a shit about worship
>>
>>55037773
This feels familiar
>>
>>55037773
What about my boy Malal?
>>
>>55037798
I guess Bard.
>>
>>55037851
A guy who is really into their shit and becomes their Warlock then?
>>
>>55037801
Probably a spellcaster
>>55037838
Khorn HD = D10,
Gets a massive spell limitation
>>
>>55037851
Not necessarily true
>>
>>55037773
Khorne is fighter or barbarian. Thats It.
No magic bullshit.
>>
>>55037795
You know how laws are. Nobody will outlaw you for lying unless you lied under oath. No stealing, killing, raping, etc. No poaching. No creating undead or worshiping evil gods. Probably no prostitution. Maybe there are also some sumptuary laws (what you can eat and when, what social classes are allowed to wear what fabrics, maybe a prohibition on alcohol or some other pleasant thing.)
>>
>>55037258
What we need is the incentive to use versatile weapon with two-hand. Right now there is no point to two-handed a longsword at all.
>>
>>55037866
Whats his gimmick?
>>
>>55037926
Unless you're a midget
>>
>>55037773
Nurgle loves his followers. Probably not feeling pain, being immune to the effects of diseases, but becoming a Carrier for them 4life
>>
>>55037977
Sucks to be in a party with this guy then
>>
>>55037921
How can I be authority of law if I don't speak absolute truth though? I guess other party members can, and I still can withhold information from others.
Also, how much of a stretch making this Pal devout of Helm? I mean the part where I disregard everyone who doesn't follow the law. I'll definitely protect law-abiding subjects.
>>
>Volo's Guide to Monsters
>Because they lay eggs, and the eggs don't require much tending, kobold females aren't exempted from war or work. Furthermore, kobolds can slowly change sex. If most males or females of a tribe are killed, some survivors change over several months until the tribe is balanced again. In this way, the tribe can quickly repopulate with just a few survivors. Because of these factors, kobolds don't have assigned gender roles for young or adults. A leader, sorcerer, miner, or crafter is as likely to be female as male.

who knew Volo had such /d/-tier fetishes?
>>
Joining a game and here's what the party list looks like it might be (sans myself):
Druid
Monk
Fighter
Ranger

Not sure on subclasses.

What class would go well with this group? I feel like it's missing a skillmonkey and another caster. Arcane Trickster? Bard?
>>
Anybody play a Path of the Ancestral Guardian Barbarian? Is it fun? I'm going to be playing one. I was also thinking of taking a level in fighter to get tunnel fighting, think this will work well as a combo?
>>
>>55033754
>What are some of your favorite ways to bring a party together?
Make it obligatory to include in their backstories the way they met and the REASON that holds them together.
Boom! You are ready to start your adventure. Also, best way to spot "that guy" because he would like to be independant and special.
>>
>>55037960
Even if you are a midget a dueling fighting style exist.
>>
File: Horse_and_Man.jpg (17KB, 225x300px) Image search: [Google]
Horse_and_Man.jpg
17KB, 225x300px
>>55034851
>ultimate skeletons build
Start with necromancer wizard until level 6.
Then multiclass into warlock. When you can cast 3rd level spells as a warlock, you 'll be able to spawn skeletons after every short rest. Fill free to fill the world with skellies.
>>
>>55033754
Last campaign the DM just said we need a reason to come to X village, and then you find a way to come together as a party
Shockingly enough it went awful and took us about 5 sessions to actually become a party
>>
>>55038102
>Volo's trans guide for monsters
>>
>>55033637
What are the best ranger feats?
Other than Sharpshooter.
>>
>>55033754
8 times out of 10, I literally don't try and instead ask *them* why did they come together as a team. Won't start until they come up with something solid.

Other times I do try something like the Tavern, or my favorite, the suicide Squad open where they are all high level convicted felon ls sentenced to death that get a once in a life time deal.

That's how you evil campaign desu.
>>
>>55038171
LoreDivination Wizard?
>>
Ranger (revised)/rogue multiclass? I'm thinking of making him a bounty Hunter, and going with twf, do you guys think i should go more rogue or ranger? I at least want to get extra attack
>>
>>55038363
>5e
>feats
>>
>>55038171
It's very Wisdom based. Depending on the DM you definitely need a Charisma guy, but if he's a giant faggot like mine running a module where the NPC's are as static as the furniture, you might as well grab Inteligence.
>>
>>55038406
Should I not? I want to make a ranger that can do well on range and melee so I can help our single frontliner when in a pinch.
>>
>>55038398
Crossbow Mastery Ranger
>>
>>55038459
So make a ranged battlemaster fighter.
>>
>>55038398
Why rogue at all? Just put bounty hunter background?
>>
>>55038501
Isn't Aragon supposed to be a ranger 2/Battle Master X, with Archery and Great Weapon Fighting as his fighting styles?
>>
>>55038501
I'm already a Ranger. Should I multiclass as battlemaster? I do have high strength due to a homebrew issue, so I could also use non-finesse weapons just in case.
>>
>>55038016
Don't lie if you don't want to, bro. Just understand there's a legal difference between perjury and ordinary white lies.

And don't disregard people who don't follow the law. Fucking punish them or you fall. Picking an oath other than decotion doesn't mean you have no code of conduct or you're immune to falling. It means your code of conduct is different and different things make you fall.
>>
>>55038565
You can be a dexterity Fighter.
>>
>>55038587
Sounds good.
>>
Does anyone else use archaic units of measurement in their games in place of meters and kilograms?

I feel that since I've switched to narrating all distances in steps or rather doublesteps, as 2 steps = 5 feet, thanks to the Roman Empire and all my weights in stone my players not only have a much clearer vision of how things look, but also are sightly less clinical and more in character about such things.
Recently, one of them even roleplayed the effort of lugging a huge bag of femurs.
>>
>>55037773
What would Slanesh give you rulewise?
>>
>>55037498

Skyblades?
>>
>>55038575
>And don't disregard people who don't follow the law. Fucking punish them or you fall.
Yeah, I know, I just focused on the more important part, when talking about god of protection.
>>
>>55038667
Ski blades?
>>
>>55038642
40k does not belong
>>
How do you organize your DM notes, 5eg? I usually have scrilbbles and shit but I think it's about time I sit my ass down and organize things. Do you organize things like arrange shit by campaigns, have an NPC list with short blurbs of their backstories and how involved they are shiz? Do you have a calendar that tracks player activity? etc?

I admit, the moment i turned to the blank page of a notebook i got, I feel overwhelmed.
>>
File: index.jpg (14KB, 269x187px) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
14KB, 269x187px
>>55038575
>falling
>5e
this may-may belongs to the grave, anon, could you please stop raising it?
>>
>>55038538
I figure the expertise would help me be even more sneaky and help with tracking (survival) plus I'm kinda envisioning him as "the guy who can get shit done" doesn't matter if the person is hiding out in the city or the wilds, he'll find them.
>>
>>55037773
Tzeentch
God of Change, Lies, Hope, Ambition, Manipulation, Scheming and Sorcery, Politics, Planning, Knowledge, Trolling, (formerly) Magic and Lulz
Khorne
God of Hate, Rage, Blood, War, Battle, Strength, Wrath, Fighting and Killing, and Honor
Nurgle
God of Decay, Despair, Acceptance, Destruction, Disease, Tolerance, Compassion, and Empathy
Slaanesh
God of Decadence, Excess, Pain, Pleasure, Perfection, Aesthetics and Self Indulgence

This should give you something to work with
>>
File: 20953572.jpg (11KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
20953572.jpg
11KB, 400x300px
>>55038706
OneNote, my nigga.

http://www.cryrid.com/dnd/?page_id=153
>>
>>55038744
read the book anon
>>
>>55038300
Oh shit dude, that's real good stuff
>>
File: IMG_1808.png (283KB, 649x671px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1808.png
283KB, 649x671px
>>55038744
>>
File: rotty.jpg (80KB, 420x480px) Image search: [Google]
rotty.jpg
80KB, 420x480px
My plan is to have the setting be secretly a simulation/illusion/fake realm made by a benevolent deity to so the world's inhabitants never face the apocalypse that ravaged their actual world.

Any ideas on what monsters should be common to reflect this?
>>
Hey guys, I'm running Curse of Strahd, and we have this sistem that whenever people want, they can play as an NPC that they persuade to join their party as a way to successfully grant their character downtime activities
Experience is used through milestones, so I really don't give a crap about power imbalance within the party, when making various PC stats for a couple of sessions.

With that said, what are good character concepts for you in this campaign?

>Ezmerelda
Eldritch Knight
>Victor Vallakovich
Conjurer
>Stanamir
Bard
>Ireena
Thief with the Healer Feat (I made her a medic apprentice in my campaign)
>Emile
Wolf totem Barbarian
>Muriel
Long Death monk
>Ismarck
Battlemaster
>Rudolph
War Cleric
>Vasilka
Warforged Paladin
>>
I know you can draw a weapon as part of an attack but when you hace two weapons can you draw the offhand weapon as part of its attack or do i require the dual wielding feat to do so?
>>
>>55038891
Have it be people who went mad by knowing the truth
>>
>>55038938
You need the feat. If you have a dual wielder in your party just let him draw both of his weapons, DW is weak enough as it is.
>>
>>55038891
Fey?
>>
>>55038616
>Does anyone else use archaic units of measurement in their games in place of meters and kilograms?
Yes - feet and pounds.
>>
>>55038981
kek
>>
>>55038981
Britbong plz go
>>
>>55038974
A few of the deities in its pantheon are celtic so this actually fits in greatly, thanks.
>>55038965
That could work, cultists dedicated to an "evil" knowledge god thats actually just neutral
>>
>>55038981
My group is finally getting the hang of feet and pounds but volume still need work.
>>
>>55038981
Gods I hate the imperial system
>>
File: 1481666445385.png (978B, 192x192px) Image search: [Google]
1481666445385.png
978B, 192x192px
>>55038706
>That pic.
Hhhhehehehh.
>>
>>55038706
I have a wiki. NPCs, towns, settlements, countries, gods, and stat blocks, all indexed and searchable. It's nice.
>>
What's the worst homebrew someone's ever tried to bring to your table?
>>
>>55039025
It's funny because I actually am a britbong and prefer imperial measurements. Had to go out of my way to learn them outwith height and pints because they're no longer taught in school and I wanted to know how they compared to metric, alongside a distrust of French things. They're just better for rough measurements, which is what you're more often using.

Speaking of using archaic stuff in D&D I was interested in using pre-decimalisation currency in my game, but holy shit the bookkeeping that would have to be done.

Farthing = 3/4s copper, hapenny = 1/2 copper, penny = 1 copper, half groat = 2 copper, thruppence = 3 copper, groat = 4 copper, sixpence = 6 copper
Shilling = 12 copper/1 silver, florin = 2 silver, half-crown = 2 silver & 6 copper, crown = 5 silver, half-sovereign = 10 silver, half-guinea 10 silver & 6 copper
Sovereign = 240 copper/12 silver/1 gold, guinea = 1 gold & 1 silver
>>
>>55039251
https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Fiendish_Tradition_(5e_Archetype)
>>
>>55039251
One player wanted to play a Beeforged.
Then again it was the only time anyone tried to bring any homebrew shit because I threatened that guy to slap him with the PHB if he tries something that retarded again.
That being said I let him play it, a squad of 3 Warforged and 1 Beeforged was a fun campaign to DM.
>>
>>55037919
Khorne is okay with magic, as long as it's THEIR own innate power, and not something "stolen" like how others suck powers from gods.
>>
>>55034534

I don't even think Lore Wizard is as bad as people are making it out to be, all it needs is a restriction to the saving throw change, like Physical can only become Physical and Mental can only become Mental.

Also, remove force, Radiant and Necrotic from elements.

I also disagree on wizards being the best class, I think Bard took that in 5e.
>>
IS there a limit to what regenerate can regenerate?
>>
>>55039582

It's a level 7 spell, I should fucking hope not.
>>
>>55039593
Like is it limited torregrowing limbs or can it regrow other things
>>
>>55039714

RAW it doesn't say it does or doesn't.

Personally? Yes, since there isn't a higher level spell that can do that besides True Resurrection, which requires them to be dead.

I'd say Regeneration would repair organs too,
>>
>>55039714
So let's skip straight to bussiness
How did your character lose his dick anon
>>
>>55039821
Blowjob from tiamat
>>
>>55039821
Well, we didn't know how to progress deeper into the dungeon and there was this hole in a wall...
>>
>>55039878
Nice try, not me
>>
>>55038300
This is an excellent suggestion, and I'm feeling it.

It never really occurred to me that one type of spellcaster could multiclass with another type. You can't multiclass into sorcerer from wizard, can you? Like, you suddenly discover you had magical blood all along, in addition to all the magic you learned from study? That doesn't feel right.
>>
>>55039930
Ooops I did a sorcer majic guess Imma sorcerer now XD
>>
File: AmIRetarded.png (354KB, 665x574px) Image search: [Google]
AmIRetarded.png
354KB, 665x574px
>>55039930
>>
>>55038300
Your post reminds me, I'm like some pointers with maintaining a massive skeleton army, with respect to actually having to give each and every skeleton in my army its own turn in combat, keeping up with all their HP, etc. It's frankly fucking maddening.
>>
>>55039930
Maybe you get struck by lightning/magic/dragons/rocks
>>
>>55039930

Yes, you can multiclass into sorc from wizard and you lose no spellcasting from it.

you DO lose spellcasting from multiclassing into warlock though, since warlocks are technically not spellcasters, because pact magic is weird like that.
>>
>>55039930
>You can't multiclass into sorcerer from wizard, can you?
Now this may sound crazy, but, have you considered, maybe, READING THE GOD DAMN BOOK?
>>
>>55039992
Makes sense.
>>
>>55039995
There's a book?
>>
File: IMG_0819.jpg (195KB, 651x1024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0819.jpg
195KB, 651x1024px
>>55040011
This is b8
>>
>>55040025
Actually that's what we call a "joke"
It's pretty fucking obvious if you're not autistic
>>
making up a campaign for a couple friends, they are completely new to D&D so i'm planning to lay out some premade characters to play if they don't want to roll up a character themselves, any ideas on what classes I should put in front of them?
>>
>>55040073
Make them all Clerics, but have each and every one of their gods die in a Titanomachy in the middle of your second session.
>>
>>55040060
I thibk you may be the autistic one anon, jokes are usually funny, that "joke" isn't
Also, who is we?
>>
>>55038300
I don't understand how a warlock comes into this, can't see anything useful in there.
>>
>>55040073
How many people are there?
>>
>>55040134
>couple of friends

>>
>>55040124
I didn't even make the joke, retard
>>
>>55040073
You can't really fuck up Fighter or Warlock.
>>
>>55040151
You'd be surprised how often people say a couple and mean anywhere between two and five around here. Shit's annoying
>>
>>55040126
Spell slots recovered on a short rest lets you make more skellies more often, and at a higher level than you would otherwise.
>>
>>55040168
Sure ya didn't, buddy
>>
>>55040073
Barbarian, Wizard, Paladin, Rogue, Druid.
>>
>>55040182
oh now I see it, thanks buddy
>>
Is there anything necromancers can do to protect themselves and their minions from divine magic and paladins?
>>
>>55037683
Depends on DM. Personally I rule it as you're not shoving with the weapon, so no.
>>
>>55040220
take a few levels in cleric
>>
>>55039930
Sorcerer and warlock are narratively probably the easiest multiclasses in the game.
>>
>>55037683
The reach property gives you 5 extra feet when you make an attack and Shove is an attack. Your DM will probably look at you sideways if you try to do it with a whip though.
>>
>>55038616
I have dogs as a unit of distance and weight
>>
>>55038938
As the other anon said, you only get one free item interaction per round. So you can only draw one weapon per round - but honestly anyone should be able to draw two, and the dual wielding feat shouldn't lock that away.
>>
>>55040397

>Drawing a great sword is as fast as drawing two daggers

Honestly, I think it should be:

Weapons with light quality are free
Weapons without light or heavy take your object interaction.
Weapons with heavy take a full action to draw.
>>
>>55040385
>Shove is an attack

No it isn't.
>>
>>55040570
>Using the Attack action, you can make a Special melee attack to shove a creature, either to knock it prone or push it away from you. If you’re able to make multiple attacks with the Attack action, this attack replaces one of them.
The target must be no more than one size larger than you and must be within your reach. Instead of making an attack roll, you make a Strength (Athletics) check contested by the target’s Strength (Athletics) or Dexterity (Acrobatics) check (the target chooses the ability to use). If you win the contest, you either knock the target prone or push it 5 feet away from you.
???
>>
>>55040605
Reach only gives you extra range on attacks made with a reach weapon. Shove is not a weapon attack, it's a special attack. Reach does not apply.
>>
>>55040570
PHB 195
Shoving is a special attack action.
>>
>>55040464
>takes 6 seconds to take a greatsword from its sheath.
>>
>>55040619
Oh, I don't care about the discussion you were having with that other anon. I just wanted to prove somebody wrong
>>
>>55040605
>>55040634
You're using the Attack action to do it, but it's not really an attack. Otherwise using a glaive would allow you to grapple someone 5 feet away. It's stupid.
>>
>>55040675
>You're using the Attack action to do it, but it's not really an attack
No, you're using a single attack from the Attack action. If you have multiple attacks, Shove only replaces one.
Although since it's not a weapon attack, reach doesn't apply anyway. This whole argument is fucking stupid.
>>
Making a College of Swords bard for an upcoming Storm King's Thunder game. Any advice? I'm thinking about going variant human and grabbing Resilient (CON saves).
>>
I know this isn't the right edition but I've gotta learn 3.5 ed in a few days time. Anyone got good resources for it?

All I've ever done before outside of wargaming is a few oneshots of 5th ed so I'm pretty much going from scratch here. Thanks for any help.
>>
>>55040464
I like the weapons with light are free. It actually solves some of the throwing issues by letting people draw as many hand axes and daggers as they can attack, but when grabbing for javelins (the best throwing weapon), they only have the one interaction.

I might house rule that.
>>
New thread >>55040936
New thread >>55040936
New thread >>55040936
New thread >>55040936
New thread >>55040936
>>
>>55040385
Id let them do it with whips

Tie their leg up with it and pull to knock them prone
Hitem in the shin/at their feet to make them step 5 foot back(we use a grid)
A polearm could pokeem in the chest to pushem back or
SWEEP THE LEG!
NO MERCY IN THIS DOJO
Thread posts: 364
Thread images: 32

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.