[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/srg/ - Shadowrun General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 331
Thread images: 32

File: Defibrillator.jpg (19KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
Defibrillator.jpg
19KB, 300x300px
...Identity Spoofed
...Encryption Keys Generated
...Connected to Onion Routers
>>>Login: *********
>>>Enter Passcode: *********
...Biometric Scan Confirmed
Connected to SeattleNet...

>Welcome back to /srg/, chummer
>Last Viewed Files: >>54969601;→
>Healing_Instructions.trid
>First_Aid.knwsft
>How_Long_Does_Docwagon_take_usually.thread

Personal Alerts
* Your Current Rep Score: 10415 (69% Positive)
* You have 1 new private message, titled 'Yo chummer, You still alive?'
* Your Chummer > Tools > Options books list has been unchecked https://github.com/chummer5a/chummer5a/releases
* Cloud File Storage: http://pastebin.com/SsWTY7qr
* Running NEAR_DEATH_XP.BTL...

>Shoot straight
>Conserve ammo
>Don't get shot
>Do not buy CGL books
>And never, ever cut a deal with a dragon

Back from the dead edition
Where do you go for CPR? Who do you trust?
Where do you get healing? What DocWagon contract do you have?
>>
File: RIP in peperonis.jpg (16KB, 575x350px) Image search: [Google]
RIP in peperonis.jpg
16KB, 575x350px
>Back from the dead edition
>Dies immediately
RIP /srg/
>>
Most people aren't even home yet, /srg/ really gets going when it's something near 7pm EST.
>>
>>55024140
srg isn't populated solemly by murricans though
>>
>>55024191
Its an American underwater basket weaving forum. Americans aren't the only ones here but they carry things along.
>>
How does 3rd edition compare to the turbo bullshit 5e is ?
>>
>>55024489
3rd's biggest flaw is the target number bullshit. Unlike in 4 and 5 you don't automatically hit on 5 and 6 the target can range from 2 to 10+ depending on the task at hand. How do you get a 10 on a D6 you may ask? Well you hope you roll a 6, then add the following roll to it.

The Dice Pool system can be a little tedious of the group doesn't git it, or you have some faggot that tries to fudge the amount of extra dice they have but you shouldn't be playing with that fuck anyway.

Beyond that I prefer 3 to 5 in every other respect.
>>
yo yekka

is there a way to homebrew a vehicle or weapon in chummer? Give it my own stats? Share it with my group?
>>
>>55024288
Considering Shadowrun is rather popular outside of the US and this is one of about three places where you can have a reasonable discussion in english about shadowrun, I'd say this place is probably quite a lot more ripe with non-burgerclaps than other threads on this board.
>>
Count zero interrupt
>>
>>55026196
>one of about three places
/srg/, The Gaming Den, and?
>>
File: HATE.gif (122KB, 533x502px) Image search: [Google]
HATE.gif
122KB, 533x502px
I hate AI rules so much.

I understand the need for this bullshit in the sense that shadowrun is an attempt at simulationist in cyberpunk magic fantasy, and to dissuade people from playing them but jesus fucking christ
>>
File: Gegen Azzies.png (244KB, 894x894px) Image search: [Google]
Gegen Azzies.png
244KB, 894x894px
Can cyber implant weapons be turned into weapon foci? Or does the Elemental Strike power apply to them?

How do detachable cyberlimbs and the astral body affect each other?
>>
So, what would be the best way to get a modern-style plate carrier into SR5? Just the Chest piece of SWAT Armour is my thought.

I just like the look of Plate carriers.
>>
>>55026299
reddit ?
>>
>>55026584
>Can cyber implant weapons be turned into weapon foci?
technically yes, though remember that cyberlimbs have very high OR so you probably won't get too high of a focus out of it and still need to be awakened to use them
>Or does the Elemental Strike power apply to them?
Since you paid essence for them they are considered part of your aura, so yes you can use it through the limb
>How do detachable cyberlimbs and the astral body affect each other?
If it doesn't touch your body it's not connected. AFAIK grappling hands still count but barely

>>55026578
Well the 4e rules for them are bad because the freelancer that wrote them can't into math
And the 5e rules probably were just ported
>>
File: arm.jpg (21KB, 236x684px) Image search: [Google]
arm.jpg
21KB, 236x684px
>>55026584

>Can cyber implant weapons be turned into weapon foci?

Object resistance would make turning something like that magical ridiculously impossible and prohibitively expensive.

>Or does the Elemental Strike power apply to them?

RAW I don't believe Elemental strike cares if the arm is natural or 'ware. But I'm going to go digging, because this is an interesting question.

>How do detachable cyberlimbs and the astral body affect each other?

Once the limb is detached it's no longer a part of you, therefore not part of your signature.
>>
So. SR doesn't take drawing the ammunition/magazine during reloading into account, does it? In that, by default at least, it doesn't matter if your mag is in your free hand, or deep in your backpack, right?
>>
Whats the best way to play an artificer type mage? A guy with a bunch of magic tools & such.
>>
>>55027146
yes
>>
File: Karl Kombatmage.jpg (407KB, 2480x3508px) Image search: [Google]
Karl Kombatmage.jpg
407KB, 2480x3508px
>>55026668
>>55026692
Thanks chummers
>>
File: shodan.jpg (22KB, 436x423px) Image search: [Google]
shodan.jpg
22KB, 436x423px
My anger about AI has turned into problem solving on how I'd fix it.

>AIs on matrix or devices are always calculated with the +2DP for Hotsim
>AIs do not roll to jump grids and may do so for free, and does not incur a GOD score for doing so
>AIs can 'reboot' themselves with a complex action
>AIs have Matrix Condition track equal to WIL*2+Depth
>If the Matrix Condition tracker is filled, the AI is dead and lost unless saved by another entity. ('saved' as in storing data.)
>Pilot Origins becomes Drone Protocols (Must be purchased for each drone locomotion type. Walker/Flyer/Ground/etc) allows AI to download onto a drone as a complex action that they have 3 marks on, acting like a normal character. Initative is unchanged. For the purposes of rigging priority, this is considered jumped in. Leaving a drone is also a complex action.
>Skill checks in a drone are AI Skill(or Autosoft, whichever is better)+Drone stat. (REA = Device Rating)
>Init is processed as Intuition+Depth+3d6
>If the drone is destroyed while the AI is jumped in, it is destroyed unless it USES an edge to escape to a nearby device it has marks on to reboot
>If there are no devices it has marks on it must burn an edge to escsape onto the matrix (No matrix access removes this option)
>An AI can survive on a device without a matrix connection, but they take a -2 Penalty to all actions.
>Autosofts, Programs, and Advanced Programs are integrated into the AI itself, and it has Depth rating in "Active" slots, and Depth*2 in "storage" slots. Active programs can be switched out with a standard action.
>Anytime a check calls for a device stat (ASDF) the AI can use the stat of the device they're on, or their depth.
>>
>>55023976
>...Biometric Scan Confirmed
Connected to SeattleNet...
The local grid in Seattle is called Emerald City.
>>
>>55027506
>>Pilot Origins becomes Drone Protocols (Must be purchased for each drone locomotion type. Walker/Flyer/Ground/etc) allows AI to download onto a drone as a complex action that they have 3 marks on, acting like a normal character.
This really seems like a 4 marks/Owner thing, not 3. You can't run your persona on some other guys commlink because you have 3 marks on it, either.

>AIs do not roll to jump grids and may do so for free, and does not incur a GOD score for doing so
That's not a matter of WHAT you are, but your status with GOD. If you're registered/licensed/sanctioned then you don't get OS, and if not it should be plainly down to whether you perform an illegal action or not. GOD doesn't discriminate by what kind of illegal or anomalous activity it detects, same way they go after sprites.

>Init is processed as Intuition+Depth+3d6
Should be using the REA (or applicable substitute) of the physical form, as is usually the case in meatspace. As soon as you interact physically that stuff has precedence over the "speed of thought" matrix stats.

>If the drone is destroyed while the AI is jumped in, it is destroyed unless it USES an edge to escape to a nearby device it has marks on to reboot
>If there are no devices it has marks on it must burn an edge to escsape onto the matrix (No matrix access removes this option)

These two really just bring up the issue of Forking or creating backup copies of yourself as an AI and how to deal with them, which gets real messy real fast. In theory you could put up "sleeper" copies where instead of having to escape somewhere you simply send an activation code to that copy and it becomes the new primary character when the other form dies. Sort of a Dead Man's Trigger edge action. Would likely not have any memories of things that happened since the copy was made, though.
>>
File: Anthro Drone.jpg (60KB, 564x790px) Image search: [Google]
Anthro Drone.jpg
60KB, 564x790px
>>55027752

>Drone Protocols Marks

Can you invite 4 marks/ownership to someone else, or can there only be one owner? I ask because it gives the opportunity for an AI to be a rigger's helper in a pinch. Or maybe even take control of that enemy drone, but I see your point. Hmmm.

>Grids

Fair enough.

>Init

I am mostly trying to standardize the initiative for it as an entity, as multiple init adjustments (Adding and subtracting) for a single character in a single combat turn would get tedious if the AI is jumping around. Most likely you would have to involve the Data Processing (Device Rating) of the Device/Drone in use. (As they do not have REA)

>AI Death forking

I have multiple solutions in mind for this actually. Involving essence:
>Easy mode: AIs require essence to live (Start with 6). A drone 'death' reduces essence by 1. Copies of the AI do not have essence, and will not work.
>Hard mode: Same as above, but AIs can split their essence in whole numbers to create functional copies.

Maybe throw in a technomancy ritual to infuse dead AI code with essence or something - but make clear that it is not the same 'soul'.
>>
>>55023976
Doc Wagon is a scam chummer. If your hoop gets fragged on a run & the corp really wants you dead a quick bribe will have the docs loading you up with feel happy & taking your organs. 1/10 would not recommend. CrashCart is the superior name in rescue & resuscitate.
>>
>>55029313
You know, you can buy Brand Loyalty off
>>
>>55025459
custom_vehicles.xml
https://github.com/chummer5a/chummer5a/wiki/Custom-Data-Files
>>
Is there anything like Lichdom in the sixth world?

I read the entry on necromancy, but it didn't really have much in the way of actual substance
>>
>>55031448
Cybermancy is sort of lichdom, I guess. At least the framework is there in setting.
>>
>>55031537

Do any of the books actually explain cybermancy? I assume a magic or tech book, but we've had a few of those.
>>
>>55028088
>Can you invite 4 marks/ownership to someone else, or can there only be one owner?
Transferring Ownership is a process that takes about 1 minute, but there can only be one owner of a device.

>I have multiple solutions in mind for this actually. Involving essence:
Maybe call it "Integrity" instead of Essence, since its a hard rule that Essence is something that never comes back.
>>
>>55031448
Cyber-Lichdom by definition would probably be retaining sentience below 0 Essence in terms of Shadowrun.

Magic-Lichdom would very likely simply be something extremely Toxic, essentially achieving an undying corporeal form, likely more puppeteered from the astral than actually living.
>>
File: 1491061802382.jpg (114KB, 1017x1611px) Image search: [Google]
1491061802382.jpg
114KB, 1017x1611px
Hey Chummers. Working on a 5e campaign of my own for my regular group, it'll be my first time running or playing shadowrun. Had a couple of questions:

How often do you have the Johnsons screw the players out of their money? I've got one or two lined up but they're definitely a minority.

What houserules do you use/are the best?

What alterations to the background & lore do you use/are most common? So far I'm planning:
>no SURGE (just get implants if you wanna be a catgirl that badly)
>KE got the HTR contracts for Seattle but Lonestar still runs the beat cops
>there's no Mafia in Seattle, they're boring, but there are Vory, Triads and Yaks, which makes more sense geographically
>Bunraku exist, but they're more a "buy your own sex slave as a wife" that some rich corps assholes do than something that has its own parlours. Actual brothels get accused of using bunraku as part of a general moral panic by Horizon and Ares Entermtainment looking for ratings
>no Ork Underground, and disregard 90% of the cringey bullshit about Dwarves/Orks/Elves from Run Faster. They just wrote a bunch of really racist screeds and then control-Fed the n-word out and replaced it with "orks". Real Jews have thousands of years of tradition, language and diaspora to draw on as a culture; Dwarves have been around for 70 years, have no language or culture and their only major gripe when it comes to being metahumans is "sometimes people forget we exist". Dwarves aren't going to be Fantasy jews.

And just does anyone have any general advice for a first time Shadowrun GM?
>>
>>55031754
Pretty sure cyber zombies were at least started somewhere in 4e. It's not really a PC sort of thing so we don't have a lot mechanics on it.
>>
>>55031969

Screw them out of their pay maybe 25%-33% of the time. But then again I also pay my players a bit more.

>general advice

Don't let anyone play a decker as their first character unless they can demonstrate they really really want to play one and learn all the bullshit matrix rules front to back
>>
>>55031754
>>55032045
Man & Machine from 3rd has a Cybermancy chapter too.
>>
>>55026584
Here's how you make a Weapon Focus cyberweapon.

You take the blade of a Spur. Not the whole apparatus. Not the entire piece of cyberware.

Just the blade.

And then you make that into a weapon focus.

That way, you're just dealing with the Object Resistance pool for an alloy (same difficulty as a steel katana or knife) instead of something ungodly high.

Then you attune to that, screw in the screws, tighten the bolts, and get that bitch implanted.

Harder than getting your fists enchanted with weapon focus tattoos, but worth the extra effort, I think.

And before someone argues that you need to enchant the entire, final object, and not just the weapon part, let me ask you a question. What happens if you need to replace the silk and wood grip of your weapon focus katana, while leaving the blade and tang intact? Does it destroy the weapon focus, or is it just the blade part that's enchanted?
>>
So, Forbidden Arcana broke the "no resurrection magic" rule, when do you think they'll break the "no teleportation magic" rule?
>>
>>55031969
The trick to Johnson's and money is to think about how useful the crew is to keep around. If they don't fuck up, they get some nuyen so they come back.

The other trick is to remember that the Johnson is skimming off the top. Think of it like this:

Paul Marketing is sick of Halloweeners harassing his son.
He offers 11k to Mr Johnson to get them taken care of.
Mr J then offers 6k to the runners because they don't know any better.
>>
>>55027146
It absolutely does. There are actions to draw/stash items.
>>
>>55031448
The closest thing to Lichdom would be a homebrewed ritual to covert your Astral form into an independent Spirit of Man, then possessing/inhabiting a corpse, ideally your own. When that body is destroyed, you just get yourself a new one, ad nauseum.
>>
>>55032050
>>55032160
Cheers, but by "screw" I mean try to get away with paying the players 0 nuyen - get them to do the job then not pay/sell them out to KE.
>>
>>55031969
>no Mafia in Seattle
>Mafia is boring
Chummer, I don't disagree with much of what you had to say, but the Mafia is one of the coolest organized crime factions in the game and they absolutely fit in Seattle. You should read into them some more. They're a lot more than just the real-world Italian Cosa Nostra.
>>
>>55032219
You don't actually need a homebrew ritual to do this - you can achieve the same net results by doing the following:

1) Get an Ally Spirit with Inhabitation and at least one other method of existance. Possession is a personal favorite, as it means you can have the Spirit inhabit a stick in an Astral Form and get Materialisation. This Spirit must have the Endowment power.

1a) Make this Ally Spirit into a Great Form Spirit. This is recommended only if you want to truly be bullshit.

2) Astrally Project. If you die whilst in Astral form, you get [Mag*2] hours to live as a spoopy ghost.

3) Have the Spirit perform a Hybrid Form Inhabitation on your body (electively reducing it's dice pool to 0, whilst you do the same). This kills the mage.

4) Have the Spirit grant you Inhabitation through the Endowment power.

5) Inhabit your body with a Flesh Form (electively reducing your dice pool to 1, edging any results of 1 to avoid critical glitches). This revitalises the mage.

6) Stop giving a fuck. This is doubly true if your Ally Spirit had Drain Force, as it means you can now advance infinitely without care.
>>
>>55032277
Hey, if I buy the Metropole book, would you be able to de-watermark it for the pastebin? I fucking need that book, but I hate the idea of giving CGL money without somehow sticking it to them.
>>
>>55032277
Could you break down each of those steps with a little more detail? There's some implications I'm not getting there, I think.
>>
>>55032254
I read about them in Run Faster - it said they're a multi-ethnic and multi-metahuman thing, which makes no sense to me. If they were more like real-world La Cosa Nostra they'd at least be interesting. They have no theme, besides being a "criminal syndicate". By comparison:

>Yaks are the Yakuza, have the whole honour/japanese pride thing, plus connections to MCT, plus their pro-humanis attitudes
>Vory are multi-ethnic and multi-metahuman, but they're the polar opposite of the Yakuza. Bound together by their own brutality, unlike the yaks they absorb smaller gangs with threats of horrible violence. They're no line they won't cross, no family they won't murder. They're monsters.
>Triads are a bit boring too, but I have some interesting ideas for them. Mostly an old gentle chinese Johnson the players will meet in a park, feeding the ducks, who has inexplicably scarred and callused hands.

Like, compared to that, there's no real theme to the Mafia beyond "guys in suits". They just seem boring to me.
>>
>>55032407

If you want inspiration for Triads, I'd vote going the Madam Gao route from the Netflix Marvel series
>>
>>55032616
Cheers, I'll look that up.
>>
>>55032684

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tivMVu6ChI0
>>
>>55032407
The idea behind the Mafia is that of Families. In the face of the expanding power of the Yakuza, ethnic crime families like Cosa Nostra, the Italian Mob, the Jewish Mob, and Jamaican organized crime turned their guns away from each other and forged an alliance.

So now there's a Mafia made up of all kinds of distinct elements - which stay distinct. So, within the Mafia, you still have Irish families and Italian families, and so on, with all the old grudges still intact, a Cold War truce as they still make internal power plays, despite presenting a united front to outsiders.

On top of that, they're a recognized AA in their own right. You have people with Mafia (Sicilian) SINs working in Mafia-owned laboratories and shit.

They're the 'locals' in North America, pushing back and holding ground against the Yakuza and Vory (and to a much lesser extent the Triads, because there's no united Triad front, they're more of a threat to street gangs than the big organizations). But at the same time, they're still divided internally on ethnic lines, and that creates internal strife and power plays against supposed allies, in classic gangster movie fashion.

They're super cool.
>>
>>55032781
So like the Cosa Nostra in Snow Crash?
>>
File: ShadowrunMafia.jpg (32KB, 460x460px) Image search: [Google]
ShadowrunMafia.jpg
32KB, 460x460px
>>55032776
Thanks!

>>55032781
I get why you think they're cool, but it still sounds ridiculous to me. Especially the "the mafia is now a AA corporation"
>>
>>55032407
You can take some tips from Kindley Cheng in the HBS game set in Hong Kong.
>>
>>55032966
If you're going to give the kind old man a bad side, I mean.
>>
>>55032913
Wait, you find the mafia being a AA ridiculous, but not the Yakuza being a AAA? Because their status is less 'Mafia Incorporated,' and more the way the Yakuza controls MCT.
>>
>>55033038
Thanks but naw. I was going to have the kindly old man be a retired Triad leader who left because he was tired of killing. He's a combat Physad, but nothing more. The run I'm considering for him is that he wants the players to steal the mask of Pursuit Ninja, a reality trid star and Physad member of KE's HTR. His grandson is a huge fan of the PN and his birthday is coming up.

>>55033065
I understood it not as "the yaks control MCT" as "the yaks have connections to MCT/the yaks work for the MCT". The mafia controlling a AA behind the scenes makes more sense, but its still not interesting enough for me to include it.
>>
>>55033183
The entire board of directors and the controlling share of MCT are all Yakuza. The Yakuza essentially own and control the entire company.

The Mafia went the other direction, buying out a failed state in Europe and then incorporating it - you know, like what happened in Hong Kong and Manhattan - and then using that extraterritoriality and ability to issue SINs to their benefit for their Totally Legitimate enterprises.
>>
>>55032781
>>55032913
Mafia has always been about business, the loan sharking especially. Since thats basically what banks are about anyway they're a lower risk than other banks might even be in that income bracket.

You've got a bunch of actual blood related families in a constant power struggle full of nepotism and feuding and secret traditions and street warfare. What's not to get? They can have all sorts of moral codes within their businesses too. Enforcing the letter of their incredibly exploitative contracts but no more. Or they only rob companies from out of town. Stuff like that's totally reasonable within different family operations.

They also police their own turf against unaffiliated criminals incredibly harshly. They run protection as good as any non-global security company and are integrated enough in that community to get into anyone's business to find people they're after.
>>
>>55033312
Basically, in the Shadows, they're the banks, they're the cops, they have extraterritoriality, and the only reason they're not slitting each other's throats is to present a strong front against the Yaks.

That bank that you rob in Blitz's dumb mission in Dragonfall is a Mafia bank, for example - complete without teller kiosks, banker offices, and automated turrets in the lobby.
>>
>>55033254
>MCT controlled by the yakuza

But then why be Yakuza???? You control a AAA Big Ten Megacorp??? That's dumb. I'm changing that.

Mafia still not that interesting sorry. If they were exclusively Italian and really worked the "Legitimate Business" angle I could get behind them, maybe give them connections to City Hall or something. But the Yaks already have the whole entirely-human pro-humanis deal, and fit into shadowrun's cyberpunk vibe a bit better than the mafia anyway. It's street samurai, not street cavaliere.
>>
>>55033434
The Yakuza stay Yakuza both for the big-time honor bullshit, and so they can have both a legitimate right hand and a criminal left hand. They get to have their cake and eat it too.

Mind you, there are plenty of people in MCT who aren't directly Yakuza-affiliated, per se, but the ownership and the executive chairs are 100% Yak.

That's the whole deal of both the Yakuza and MCT - they're the organized crime group that's also a 'legitimate' megacorp.

Hell, that's the background of Aztechnology too. It was started by an alliance of drug cartels, expanded into a business empire, issued loans to bail out the entire country of Mexico, and then rebranded itself Aztech/Aztlan.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Vory are planning to buy their way into extraterritoriality the same way.
>>
>>55033543
Again, that's really dumb. Why be gangsters when you can be execs? In the sixth world gangsters kill each other for a few shitty blocks in Redmond while corp higher ups are disgustingly rich, living in a world of impossible wealth where they want for nothing. It's not like they even need the yaks - they have Shadowrunners, who have more diverse skillset and are more disposable/deniable than the yaks are because they aren't your brother in law.

I was planning on having the cartels be a major gang problem down in texas actually. Maybe they clash with triads in the southwest?
>>
>>55032345
I'm shit at de-watermarking - I just run the pastebin. Yekka's the guy to talk to about how to do that, as the method I use tends to remove bookmarks and turn a 5mb file into a 50mb file.

>>55032356
Steps 1 and 1a are pretty simple, as they're exactly what they say - you get an Ally Spirit and you make sure it can Inhabit something but not ONLY inhabit something - if it can only inhabit something, you're gonna need to do the summonning whilst astrally projecting. As for the Endowment power, it lets the Spirit grant you access to its own powers, including its various forms of existance (materialisation, inhabitation, posession). Making it a Great Form Spirit can get you Endowment for free, as well as bonus powers and some truly excessive tricks.
>Current Situation: You and your Ally Spirit exist.

Step 2 is important, as you need to be out of your body for Step 3. In SR5e, damage is carried from body to astral form but being set to dead is not, and you can survive having a dead body as an astral form for, as it suggests, twice your magic rating in hours. If you can extend this, prehaps by using the metamagics from Forbidden Arcana, you can use a much stronger Ally Spirit, as it'll take longer to complete Step 3.
>Current Situation: You are Astrally Projecting. Your Ally Spirit is just sorta sat about.

Step 3 is where things get fun. You have your Ally Spirit inhabit your now-inert body, and both you and the spirit choose to roll zero dice for the inhabitation. This is important, as it means your body gets a load of bonuses to physical stats and so on, as well as Immunity To Normal Weapoms. Hybrid Form is fun, yo. You are set to dead, but you still have that time astrally projecting. This takes a number of hours equal to the Spirit's Force, so use a low Force Spirit, or at most one with a Force equal to your Magic.
>Current Situation: You are Astrally Projecting, and on a clock until you cease to be. Your Ally Spirit is inhabiting your body.
>>
>>55033699
I think what you're fundamentally misunderstanding is the difference, in Shadowrun, between a street gang and a major criminal syndicate.

In real life too, for that matter.
>>
>>55033699
>>55033733
Your lower ranking mafia guys might have crews who run street gangs but they aren't like.... competing with them.
>>
>>55033543
>I wouldn't be surprised if the Vory are planning to buy their way into extraterritoriality the same way.
Teeeeechnically they can't. Vory are supposed to have no dealings with authority, at least traditionally.
>>55032345
Unlock the pdf with a site like smallpdf.com/unlock-pdf, select each watermark object and delete it in a PDF editor like Acrobat or Foxit.
>>
>>55033707
Step 4 is simple: the Spirit uses its Endowment power to grant you access to the Inhabitation power, ostentially so you can claim another body but actually so you can get your own body back. This is pretty simple.
>Current Situation: You are Astrally Projecting, and on a clock until you cease to be, but you have a method of stopping that clock. Your Ally Spirit is inhabiting your body.

Step 5 is the tricky part - you go to Inhabit your own body, currently with a Spirit in residence. At this point, the Spirit will be pissed, and as such will fight back. You, however, should elect to not do this, and choose to only roll one dice, using Edge to ensure you, at worst, do not get a critical glitch. This means that the Spirit, which you can choose to give +6 dice on its roll, will likely roll a lot more successes than you, meaning it'll probably get enough successes to force you to do a Flesh Form Inhabitation. You want this, as it'll make you look more normal and let you hide your astral signiature.
>Current Situation: You are now your own Ally Spirit, inhabiting your own body. The clock that counts down to death has stopped, as you have a body again.

Step 6 is everything else - you're functionally a god, albeit a relatively weak one. If you had foresight, and got your Ally Spirit the Drain Force power, you can increase its Force, and hence your stats, infinitely, granting you massive bonuses that don't really have a cost or scaling cap. Have fun with that 2x10^50 STR, friend. You don't die of old age, you're immune to most poisons and diseases, you can easily get hard immunity to every form of mundane damage, you can get enough armour to shrug off most non-mundane damage, and if your body is ever destroyed, you go to being a Spirit that can just hop inside a new body.
>Current Situation: You're strong enough to be a legitimate world ending threat. Have fun with the Draconic plots against your everything.
>>
>>55033733
No I understand the difference, but even a criminal syndicate is still several thousand steps removed from the kind of obscene wealth available to the heads of the corps, especially to the heads of a major player like MCT.

Like, I could understand the Yaks piggybacking on MCT shipping to smuggle their goods. But why would they do that when its THEIR shipping? What could being a criminal syndicate possibly offer them that they don't already get as a AAA? Apart from risking scandals? You could quit being a yak and just be an MCT upper exec. Shit, their skillset as ruthless assholes would be extremely useful as execs.
>>
File: 1437140593422.jpg (826KB, 840x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1437140593422.jpg
826KB, 840x1200px
>>55033856
I think Shadowrun might not be the setting for you if you have a hard time accepting this concept. There's a whole fucking lot of shit like this. A lot more than a meager list of corrections you'd planned on making.

I'm talking more books worth of content than you have fingers of specifically this kind of fuckery.
>>
>>55034004
No I'm fine with the rest of shadowrun its just... what the fuck. That's dumb.
>>
>>55034057
Sounds more like you have trouble with Jap culture and their weird concepts of honor, propriety, and saving face.
>>
>>55034057
I think the major difference isn't the actual measurement of funds or anything but the structure of the mafia that has benefits. They have a clear line of trust/blood running from the very top to the very bottom rungs of the organization. The mafia IS as connected as most megacorps/nations but their structure is such that there's no breaks in the chain of command. You don't pick up thugs off the street and give them seniority, they're hand picked by bosses and underbosses and subbosses and crew leaders all the way down. They're also tied into the communities they lead so there's more general support in every social and economic status except the people who are obviously connected to triads/yaks/vorys.
>>
>>55033856
>What could being a criminal syndicate possibly offer them that they don't already get as a AAA?
You sell a shit-ton of drugs in [area] as [criminal syndicate]. You then offer to clean up the area as [corporation]. You profit twice, and continue to profit by decreasing the problem by fractions, but never entirely eliminating it for [plausible excuses].
>>
>>55034177
>You sell a shit-ton of drugs in [area] as [criminal syndicate]. You then offer to clean up the area as [corporation]. You profit twice, and continue to profit by decreasing the problem by fractions, but never entirely eliminating it for [plausible excuses].
Not to mention that people who oppose MCT can get assassinated by the Yakuza, and people who oppose the Yakuza can get bankrupted and shit by MCT.

The left and right hands working together.
>>
>>55034057
I really don't think you are. I think you're someone much less familiar with the setting than you think you are, if this is something that's throwing you.
>>
>>55034099
Renraku is japanese and they don't have this bullshit.

>>55034151
No but.... the yaks are an entirely human organistation. And no criminal syndicate could possibly have as much influence in a community as one of the Big 10

>>55034177
Not even cartel-levels of drug distribution would lead to a level of wealth even as the same level as a AAA. Your essentially one tenth of the worlds economy.

Anyway, I'll drop it. But still... its dumb.
>>
>>55034326
Not influential in an arcology or something, sure. As for money they are AA's. It's not a really huge leap once you have basically infinity moneys.
>>
How likely am I to attract/create a batman if I start using a supervillain gimmick during runs?
>>
>>55034604
With a good GM? 100%.
>>
>>55034607
Now to think of a good gimmick that can work on runs.
Gotta make things nice and dramatic for batm'n.
>>
File: DOOM.jpg (288KB, 1600x857px) Image search: [Google]
DOOM.jpg
288KB, 1600x857px
Where would corps keep their most dangerous testing facilities?

I have a run in mind to pit my runners against some real bad shit, but logically this is the kind of facility you don't keep near a population.
>>
>>55032228
Then you need to offer your players something else. Either in the form of connections, favours, or new locations. Something. If you want your Johnsons to screw your players, you need to create the conditions necessary for Johnsons to actually do so.

For example, after securing a prototype from a Renraku R&D Lab in the ruins of old Arcology, chummers now need to decide how to get their pay. If they decide to do a dead-drop or drop it off at the location Mr. Johnson decided, they're idiots and thoroughly deserved to be fleeced so long as you drop clues that doing so is a really moronic move.
>>
What I wanna know is language.

Do any non-native English sprakets attempt to translate the various terms of SR - like 'chummer' - into their native language?

I've been casually toying with the idea but haven't come up with anything that doesn't sound retarded
>>
>>55026196
Hon hon hon salut :)))
>>
So, has 5e been fixed yet or are all those editor-needing, shitty-metaplot-pushing grognard morons in charge still?
>>
>>55034326
>...the yaks are an entirely human organisation. And no criminal syndicate could possibly have as much influence in a community as one of the Big 10

Unless you start off as a money laundering front for the Yakuzas before the Corporate Extranationality was ratified.
>>
>>55035409
Chummer is a term, almost a title.
I do think it would be the same no matter the language.
>>
>>55032157
It did?
I heard that the shit in that book looked to be something out of some entirely different setting almost, more like "house setting rules" rather then anything that felt appropriate to the Sixth World.
>>
>>55027557
This is the SHADOW net
>>
>>55033254, >>55033434, >>55033543, >>55033699, >>55033856, >>55034304, >>55034326, >>55035668
The relationship between MCT and the Yakuza is significantly more complex then "same guys, different logo".
Basically, when the company got itself started they had influx capital from some various Yakuza oyabun, which meant that the Yakuza basically helped strongarm Mitsuhama Taiga's (yeah, the original CEO was literally named "Tiger") competition into joining his conglomerate in response for being "favored customers". Lots of important Yakuza have MCT stock, but they still don't actually own MCT in any way.
MCT tends to do them favors though, such as lending them a place where a new building is going up if they need to hide some bodies in a concrete foundation, or maybe if they need some shipping done and they can't arrange and ships themselves. In return the Yaks do a lot of below-the-table street level goonwork for MCT on occasion, and help distribute drugs and such that MCT needs street testing.
It's not always a sure thing because "Yakuza" isn't a single syndicate but dozens and dozens of crime groups, some one good terms with MCT and some one neutral terms and some operating in cities that MCT has no actual hold over at all, and it mentions in one book the father away you get from the IJS the more likely this is to be the case.

Basically you could say that the Yaks and MCT are both favored customers for each other, which is a mutually beneficial arrangement for both but is still basically a business arrangement at heart. They tend not to think of stabbing one another in the back because both have a lot of dirt on the other one at this point, but they also don't necessarily need to go out of their way to do each other favors, more like if a Yak shows up to do business he gets the store discount while if an MCT guy goes to the Yaks for help the Yaks won't fleece him dry on general principle.
>>
>>55035830
>but they still don't actually own MCT in any way

Not true. The entire Board of Directors are Yakuzas.
>>
>>55036526
>The entire Board of Directors are Yakuzas
From which Yakuza?
>>
>>55024675

How does 3e hold up to 4e? And specificly, how do they compare in character creation, which one is faster?
>>
If tattoos and piercings are a legitimate base for (qi-)foci then casemods on your cyber should be too, right?
>>
>>55036526
I'm citing Corporate Guide for 4e where it mentions that the two are definitely in bed together, but the only mention of the board of directors is that Toshiro Mitsuhama (Taiga Mitsuhama's son) is now the majority shareholder as of 2071, holding both his original shares and Eiji Yakamura's %19 stock, making him by far the majority single shareholder even with the rest divided up amongst the Four Oyabun, who by the way are not LITERAL Oyabun. It's a nickname.
>>55036943
None of them, at least as of current info.
The Board of Directors aside from the founder's son are called the "Four Oyabun" due to their Yakuza affiliate ties, but all four of them have never been stated to be linked to any particular gumi or rengo at all.
So if they ARE full-on Yakuza bosses, then we've managed to go five editions without ever even hearing what Yakuza syndicates they work from.
>>
>>55037187
Part of the reason of the dominance of Toshiro Mitsuhama over the Yakuza shareholders is simple time divine; running crime syndicates is time-consuming and takes up most of their attention, and MCT is stated outright in Corporate Download to make more in a day then every Yakuza syndicate does in a year COMBINED, and thus Taiga and his son are basically in charge because they have both the time and the inclination to keep the business running whereas the Yaks just own parts of it, mostly going along with what Taiga and Toshiro say since clearly both have done right by the Yakuza shareholders.
And as of 2071 Toshiro is the single majority shareholder, though the power dynamic probably hasn't changed much.
>>
File: Cap.jpg (698KB, 808x1050px) Image search: [Google]
Cap.jpg
698KB, 808x1050px
>>55035693
>>
>>55037128
Some GMs get weird about cyber being used for Foci, I think since the high object resistance would make it extra difficult for artificing. This added difficulty isn't factored into the price of the Foci. I don't mind at my table because it's wiz as hell, but just be aware.
>>
>>55035409
If it makes you feel better, the word 'chummer' sounds super retarded in English too. The only accent I've been able to find that makes it sound less-retarded is 'urban youth' British accents.
>>
>>55037128
You're better off keeping a lower-Object Resistance Focus inside of a Smuggling Compartment or something. It's less implausible that way. Even if you're generous with it, 'alloys' are still Object Resistance 9.
>>
If you're a Mystic Adept and you summon a Possession-tradition spirit and have it possess your body, do your Adept powers apply to the gestalt being?

For example, let's say you're a human. Your mundane baseline for Initiative is +1d6. Spirits have +2d6. And because of your Adept powers, you have an extra +3d6. When a spirit is possessing you, do you have 2d6 Initiative (the spirit's baseline) or 5d6 Initiative (the spirit's baseline plus Improved Reflexes)?

How much does that change if you're using the Channeling metamagic to put yourself in the driver's seat, so to speak? Would you gain the benefits of your Adept powers then, but not when the spirit's in control?
>>
>>55038085
The Possession power says that living vessels always use the initiative dice of the spirit. Since channeling doesn't say otherwise I'd say it applies to both
>>
>>55037990
>>55038038
Fair enough. I just thought It would be cool to have your cyberarms engraved with glowing Runes of Fiery Fisting
>>
>>55038132
>The Possession power says that living vessels always use the initiative dice of the spirit. Since channeling doesn't say otherwise I'd say it applies to both
Right, but does that mean you use the spirit's initiative dice, and then your adept powers apply to that? Or that it's its own thing completely, unaffected by any of your powers?

If you're Channeling a spirit, can you use Killing Hands, Critical Strike, Improved Ability? Is Improved Reflexes any different there? You get what I'm saying?

And if it is, what happens if you cast the Increase Reflexes spell on the spirit instead? Does buffing the spirit's Initiative cause your Channeled Initiative to improve?

I'm very uncertain.
>>
>>55038157
Alright, the way I'd do that? Get golden runes hand-forged for Object Resistance 3 (metal cold-worked by hand). Then get a Casemod which creates grooves in your cyberarm which let the golden runes click smoothly into place, leaving them flush with the panels of your cyberarm.

Gold works best because it's one of only a few metals easy to cold-work by hand. The other main candidate is copper, but unless you want your runes to have a verdigris patina (which is rad as fuck in its own right, mind you), you're probably better off with gold, which is basically strictly non-reactive.

Congrats, you now have a blinging-ass cyberarm enchanted with runes of 'fuck all y'all.'
>>
Which verison of Shadowrun has the fastest character creation (AND IM NOT USING 5E)
>>
>>55038258
>fastest
I have bad news.

>(AND IM NOT USING 5E)
I have worse news.
>>
Man, the Siemens Cyberspine in State of the Art is fucking rad. I wish there was an upgrade path for the Bone Lacing, though. Even though you can upgrades its Wired Reflexes and its Reaction Enhancers, you'll never get past Plastic Bone Lacing.

Worth it, in my opinion, but unfortunate.
>>
>>55038258
depends on what tools you use and how well read you are.
CharGen tools are inherently faster than paper. The more read in you are the faster you can make a character.
E.g. I'm a 4e GM using Chummer. At my current speed I take a bit less than half an hour to make a new character, provided I already have a rough concept. But a newbie might take a few hours without Chummer
>>
>>55038435
>might
>>
>>55038440
well, he might take a few hours, it might take half a day
you know, lower bound
>>
>>55038256
This sounds bitchin' as hell. Thanks for the advice

>>55038226
In terms of regular possession I'd argue that the spirits astral body overwrites your own, so no adept powers.

Channeling is more complicated. I would generally allow the use of your powers (though you still can only have one initiative improvement at a time) and apply some common sense, such as the spirits' natural weapons not being affected by your critical strike.

As for buffing possessing spirits: I don't see anything that's keeping you from doing so, but this looks like it would turn into something incredibly broken when abused, so ask your GM
>>
>>55038478
>(though you still can only have one initiative improvement at a time)
The question, then, is whether the 2d6 counts as natural and the Improved Reflexes boost it up to 5d6, or whether you just get the higher of your 4d6 or the spirit's 2d6.
>>
>>55034326
>All Japaneses is the same!

Yeah, the problem is definitely you.
>>
>>55038478
>This sounds bitchin' as hell. Thanks for the advice
When in doubt, when it comes to Foci, always ask yourself how you can do it with cold-worked gold.
>>
>>55034326
>Renraku is japanese
Well, not exactly.

http://shadowrun.wikia.com/wiki/Keruba_International

It was bought out by the Japanese, but it started as Slovenian military manufacturing firm and contractor.

While MCT was effectively bought out by the Yakuza, Keruba/Renraku had the exact opposite happen, where a company got bought out by an actual legitimate businessman.
>>
>>55034779
In a blacksite in the barrens.
>>
>>55038500
I'd say Improved Reflexes are an astral enhancement of your body. The channeled spirit is also an astral enhancement of your body. Thus only one of them applies
>>
>>55034779
>but logically this is the kind of facility you don't keep near a population
Eh. You don't want it near a population you care about losing. If you've already written your wageslaves off as a potential quarterly loss, then who gives a shit?

More specifically, most corporate Arcologies have absurdly high-security research labs deep underground. Remember, each Arcology is basically a self-contained city in its own right. You have residential housing, medium-security server farms, low-security commercial shopping districts, and a black site that appears on no maps all in one mega-building.
>>
>>55035409
Spanish speaking bro here
"Chummer" is universal
I have issue with some of the other sr terms, "milk run"'s spanish equivalent literally means cumshot, for example
>>
>>55038679
A 'milk run' in English means 'going to the store to buy milk.' Like, it's something super quick and easy to do.

What would the Spanish equivalent of that be?
>>
>>55038679
>>55038714
Milk run isn't even a Shadowrun term. People use that to describe easy jobs in real life too.
>>
>>55038772
>>55038714
It's a joke
Milk run's literal translation is corrida de leche which means cumshot
There are equivalents to the meaning behind the term that you can use instead, but it's funny regardless
>>
>>55034779
I once had a run in mind where my runners should infiltrate a Proteus Arcoblock in the north sea to extract a scientist. Planned on geting the runners in there with minimal gear and having the whole thing go on lockdown after some sort of catastrophy or testing accident. Cue runners having to find a way out of a partially flooded research station with biological horrors and panicing residents. Also scenes where the players have to dive through pitch black claustrophobic corridors, seeing shadows slithering in the corners of their eyes. Basically Renraku Arcology + Alien Isolation.

Never got to do it. I just can't think of a way to get the players in there without their heavy gear. Thought about smuggling them in containers or posing as residents/workers, but Proteus is pretty anal about their security
>>
>>55038866
Problem I can see there is that Awakened/Emerged are unharmed while stuff like Riggers/Sammies/Deckers NEED their gear.
It's the same reason we tell people to play Street Scum not Street Level
>>
>>55038866
>>55038886
Both of those concerns can be circumvented by making it a mundane-only space station game. Remember, even if the games don't do a lot of focusing on them, there are absolutely permanently-inhabited orbital habitats in Shadowrun.
>>
How do I get my runners to a protest-turned-riot? I think it would be an interesting backdrop for a run to have it take place as the block is overrun by a mob.
>>
>>55039382
Have notSoros fund a busride for them.
>>
>>55028088
I have an AI who forks pretty regularly, and honestly it changes very little.

It shouldn't reduce essence, because AI have no essence.
>>
>>55007087
>Trolls are the slowest metatype in 5e
Only in walking / running. Sprint is Strength based.
>>
File: Essence.png (221KB, 406x366px) Image search: [Google]
Essence.png
221KB, 406x366px
>>55039429
>because AI have no essence.
>>
File: SmugAnimeGirl3.jpg (26KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
SmugAnimeGirl3.jpg
26KB, 480x270px
>>55039505
>sprinting
>>
Anyone have a generic map I could use for a snatch and grab mission?
>>
>>55039505
>Only in walking / running. Sprint is Strength based.
They have a penalty to maximum Agility, which determines their base walk/sprint rate, and along with Dwarves only get +1m per hit on a Run test instead of +2m per hit.

They're the slowest metatype.
>>
Troll movement speed ladies and gentlemen. Where balancing minmaxers turns rules into retardation.
>>
>>55039733
>along with Dwarves only get +1m per hit on a Run test instead of +2m per hit
So they do. Must be a vestige of sane 4e rules lore I keep around.
>>
>>55039424
How does this sound? I'm running in the PCC btw
>notSoros is an aztechnology exec
>His plots target politicians/execs within the PCC that are the most adamant on anti-AZT policies
>Funds riots at rallys and events
>Donations to politicians and execs that are like "woah let's take it easy on the anti azchechnology stuff man"
>Runners are hired to be security for an undercover Horizon journalist trying to uncover black bloc group ala Veritas

I like it. Might base a whole campaign around it.
>>
>>55040215
I don't know about sane - trolls have always been fluffed as having long arms and short legs, like giant dwarves, so having them be fast is pretty dumb - but in 4e they had a faster base movement speed and no Run penalty, so you're definitely remembering that.
>>
File: floor.jpg (401KB, 2000x740px) Image search: [Google]
floor.jpg
401KB, 2000x740px
>>55039633
I used this as an underground lab.
>>
>>55040274
Depends on your players maturity and political leanings, but it sounds fun.
>>
File: Shortleggytroll.png (51KB, 654x612px) Image search: [Google]
Shortleggytroll.png
51KB, 654x612px
>>55040294
>trolls have always been fluffed as having long arms and short legs, like giant dwarves

We've been over this before.
>>
>>55040294
> so you're definitely remembering that.
In 4e, everyone had +2m per hit sprint, which is very specifically what I conflated when I said (incorrectly) that their ability to form the largest sprint dice pool evens out their lower 5e movement rate.

> trolls have always been fluffed as having long arms and short legs
How many large primate species would you trust yourself to outrun?
>>
>>55040468
>How many large primate species would you trust yourself to outrun?
When they're running on two legs instead of all fours?

All of them.
>>
>>55040294
Looking through the 3e book they are not described as having shorter legs and their running modifier (how much their running speed is compared to walking) is that of humans and elves.
For sprinting the increase was the same for all metatypes, but keyed off Body so trolls were pretty good at running
>>
File: file.png (54KB, 662x612px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
54KB, 662x612px
>>55040418
ftfy
>>
>>55040528
>implying trolls won't lope when sprinting
w/e anon, you do you.
>>
>>55033543
>Yakuza
>big time honor
>>
>>55040359
Thanks chummer
>>
>>55030061
>https://github.com/chummer5a/chummer5a/wiki/Custom-Data-Files
thanks chummer
>>
>>55037778
That's technically more like reconstituting a recently dead person, which is at least technically possible in real life then actual resurrection I think...still, it's definitely outside the realm of usual Sixth World magic, and ESPECIALLY Blood Magic, which by it's nature is supposed to thrive off of death, hence it actually being originally called "Death Magic".
I could imagine Earthdawn's Life Magic pulling off something like that, but at the cost of the life of the person casting the spell only, a "sacrifice myself to bring you back" type thing.
>>
>>55037778
I mean people have been clinically dead for longer than 5 minutes and still been brought back so... I don't think this really counts as breaking any universal laws.
>>
>>55041794
I think the problem is more this >>55041711. It's a Blood Magic spell, and Shadowrun's version of blood magic isn't about "manipulating the body through blood" like Dragon Age or some shit, but literally feeding off of the energy given off at the death of another sapient being.
I could imagine someone dying to bring another person briefly dead back to life (sort of "moving" the spent life energy from place to place as it were), but not just cast like any other spell.
>>
>>55041794
>I don't think this really counts as breaking any universal laws
Difference is, you can be legit irreversibly dead to sixth world medicine and still be brought back within the limitations of blood necromancy.
>>
>>55042179
Man, even CALLING it "Necromancy" sounds like the freelancing retard who wrote that was more familiar with D&D and never read any SR in their lives.
I feel like while I use a messily kitbashed combination of 4e and 5e rules I've basically decided that literally every piece of fluff for 5e written is to be ignored as non-canon.
Just need to hope that either the Germans get their hands on the setting permanently (because they actually give a shit about it) or that Sixth Edition in a bajillion years is run and written by less retarded people.
>>
>>55035413
Salut mon ami.
C'est la Bavière ici
>>
>>55038866
Sounds pretty awesome, would like to play.
>>
So I'm dropping 7 players who are all relatively green to the game in the middle of Hong Kong. Any really good Hong Kong-centric ideas to acclimate them to their environment?
>>
>>55042569
Leylines and Feng Shui are true, real magic there, and permeate everything in Hong Kong society in a way no other magic does anywhere in the world, from the elitist elite to the lowest lows.

Bring them up early and often.
>>
>>55042635
Leylines and Feng Shui work EVERYWHERE as a point of fact, so long as you have magical talent to properly analyze the best way to apply it rather then just guess based on Chinese belief systems.
Hell, one 4e supplement even showed you the types and placements of leylines and dragon lines around the Seattle Metroplex.
>>
>>55041711
>>55041850
The should've made it so you had to kill another person it bring them back, would've made more sense, and be edgier, which is always good.
>>
File: DcmFUe3.png (887KB, 900x592px) Image search: [Google]
DcmFUe3.png
887KB, 900x592px
What's popular music like in the 2070s?
>>
>>55043671
Check out Attitude (4e)
It's AFAIK the only information source for music in the 2070s
>>
>>55042679
They're super prominent features in Hong Kong, though. Everyone from Wuxing all the way down to mundane street vendors put great stock into them, and the aspect and direction of Mana flow in the city are on everyone's mind. Whether it's a haunting needing to be exorcised in an ancient burial site whose leylines were disrupted by excavation, or neighborhoods poisoned by Toxic loops, is going into a corporate HQ and rearranging their furniture to sabotage their careful Feng Shui, it's a pervasive feature of Hong Kong, both in and out of the Shadows.
>>
are technomancers really awful in 5e?
>>
>>55044338
>are technomancers awful
Yes.
>>
>>55044338
Yep!
>>
>>55044382
>>55044392
any specific reason? ive been meaning to get into shadowrun and havent actually played yet so from just reading the handbook i dont think i can get a good idea as to why they're exactly awful, it seems like they can do some cool shit
>>
>>55044417
http://shadowrun.com/forums/discussion/comment/181431/#Comment_181431
Every Time, Until You Like It
>>
>>55044417
Their drain is terrible, they have no Deck protecting them in matrix combat, their complex forms are way too limited, necessarily features are gated behind post-chargen submersion, their advancement costs are fucked, they're very demanding on chargen resources, they're the only Archetype not to have been given a book (even Faces got one), and the fluff basically pretends they don't exist.

There's a bunch of other problems too, but those are the big ones.
>>
Which Mentor Spirits provide bonuses to spirit summoning/binding, Assessing, Banishment, or the like? I'm about to make a magician without Spellcasting, so I need to consider my options.
>>
>>55044580
When you choose a mentor spirit in chummer you can see their advantages
>>
>>55044479
>>55044540
ty for the insight, i think ill just stay away from them until im more familiar with the system
>>
>>55044171
True that. Feng Shui works everywhere and geomancers can be from any nation, but it's definitely true that in China they talk about that shit on a more regular basis, even if not Awakened.
Basically in China they mix the superstition with the real thing, whereas in the west only the "science" behind it matters.
>>
File: 1497475971981.gif (257KB, 640x357px) Image search: [Google]
1497475971981.gif
257KB, 640x357px
Reminder never to deal with dragons.
>>
>>55045550
What if you use a catapult to deal with a then?
>>
>>55045932
>catapult
wrong weapon. Ramming them with vehicles is the best way

>>55045550
Reminder that "Never deal with a dragon" refers to you actively trying to deal with them.
If they are initiating contact you are already fucked and shouldn't hope for much
>>
How much do y'all pay your runners? the book suggests 3k base per runner then add multipliers, but that sounds like kind of a lot.
>>
>>55045550
ravioli ravioli
>>
File: 1492239739113.jpg (275KB, 607x850px) Image search: [Google]
1492239739113.jpg
275KB, 607x850px
Hey /srg/, me and a friend are making something from scratch that closely resembles shadowrun, but with simpler mechanics and a different approach to narrative.

We decided to detach from Shadowrun and only use its core concepts (mixing cyberpunk and fantasy), and we'd like to take this opportunity to fix the things we dislike about Shadowrun while capitalizing on the things we like about it. In general terms, our goal isn't to 'fix shadowrun' but to offer an alternative to it, with a broader set of options and a lower bar to run the campaigns or play the characters we always wanted to play but couldn't pull off in shadowrun for one reason or another.

What would you like to see taken care of in our little project? What would you feel absolutely needs to take place in a not-shadowrun environment? Is there anything in particular in shadowrun's rules or narrative that you feel need some attention?
>>
>>55046230

Shadowrun done by the germans
>>
>>55046230
Fix the Matrix

See you in a few years
>>
>>55046137
What?
>>
>>55046279
do not lewd the dragon loli
>>
>>55046286
>implying you have a choice
>>
>>55046264
Oh that's definitely one of our goals, current Matrix sucks. We have at least taken care of its entry point and made it more manageable, but we've yet to tackle its actual issues. What would you feel needs immediate fixing?
>>
Where can I read about stuff that happens outside of cities/along highways in the Sixth World? I've heard it's almost Mad Max tier in a lot of places. Are highways all fortified and shit?
>>
>>55046046
>the book suggests 3k base per runner then add multipliers, but that sounds like kind of a lot.
>a lot
Chummer, that's chump change. The book rewards are far too small

I usually pay my runners between 6k and 10k
>>
>>55046230
One thing I would like is for the setting to be semi-sensible, but still kinda stupid. Like, Iran and Saudi Arabia teaming up for some kind of fucking ecumenical jihad is idiotic, but a military coup in greece declaring themselves to be the New Roman Empire (TM) would be just stupid enough.
>>
I want to try running a cyberpunk campaign, but I've never GMed anything before. Would starting with shadowrun be getting way over my head? Just reading about the history of the SR world seems a little overwhelming already...
>>
>>55047568
Yes but there's really no other way unless you want to be a little bitch and run Anarchy

Run Food Fight
>>
>>55046713
Most places don't even have maintained highways anymore. Overland shipping tends to be the last resort of people who can't afford cargo planes.

That said, there's no specific place to look. The setting is decidedly not focused on those between-places. It's just snippets and sentences spread across countless books and five editions. There's no setting splat book dedicated to it, and even the Almanacs mostly focus on the cities and Sprawls.
>>
>>55046046
That's fucking nothing. That's 'enjoy getting only one upgrade at the very end of the campaign' amounts of money for tech characters when Awakened can Initiate once every two or three runs for the first half of the game.

Pay well enough for the Street Samurai to get something on his wishlist before they've done 5+ runs.
>>
>>55046230
Either fix the matrix, or just relegate it to the sidelines.
>>
>>55047894
>there's no specific place to look
Target: Wastelands?
>>
>>55048539
Ay, color me corrected. There's tons of snippets and sentences spread across a variety of editions, PLUS a book from an outdated edition whose fluff should still be useful at least.
>>
>>55049377
>outdated
3e wasn't that...
>T:W is 14 years old
>3e itself is nearly 20
Oh.
>>
>>55050780
Shadowrun's 20th Anniversary Edition is nearly a decade old, by itself.
>>
>>55050894
Do you think 30AE is just going to be a reprint of 5E Master Index edition?
>>
>>55051532
Do you think it'll come out before the Technomancer book?
>>
>>55038679
So that's the kind of game you run, eh? Lots of "milk runs", eh?
>>
Am I too out there if I want to play a manufactured super soldier who's handler staff was firebombed by shadowrunners, rendering him a free agent as all the people who knew he was working for someone are dead?
>>
>>55042432
Damn it! At least I tried
>>
>>55052294
You'd get more shit for making an archetype that is so common.
>>
If an adept had a cyber arm, could he use adept powers with that arm? I want to punch someone with magic AND technology.
>>
>>55052294
I imagine you're playing in a shadowrunner group. How'd your soldier end up joining the kind of people that killed his handlers?
Were the handlers all he knew?
How wide known were you as a project to other corps, are they looking for you?
And when you say manufactured, are you talking Cpt. America or clonetrooper manufactured, as in, did you have a previous life?

Could play him a lot of ways, anon. What more do you have under the hood of "super soldier" for a character?
>>
>>55052554
Presumably, though the cyberarm would really cause their Essence rating and therefore their Magic rating to take a hit.
>>
>>55052554
Yep. Once something becomes part of your Essence, you can use magic through it, provided it remains a cohesive whole of your body. Modular limbs only count while they're connected, for example.
>>
>>55052554
These might help:
>>55038256
>>55026668
>>
>>55052625
Is there a way to off-set cyberwave Essence loss? A talisman or something?
>>
>>55052624
No previous life. The handlers were pretty much the only ones he knew. Top secret super soldier project and all that.
The best question is how they got to actually running the shadows. There's a big spot of ??? between "released onto the streets with skills and no handlers" and "shadowrunner".
>>
>>55052689
Not an easy-made starting character one, no.
Essence loss is a game balancing mechanic deliberately done to stop people from doing what you're doing.
Besides, cyberarms cost a ridiculous amount of money to actually be stronger then your regular limbs anyway.
>>
>>55052713
...why though?
>>
>>55052697
I think a bigger question is how SINned are you if you're a top secret project for, I would have to assume, an AA or AAA corp. Or what group deSINned you and how much a favor do you owe them.

Though I ask again, what else is there besides "super soldier." Who is your character. Arnold Terminator? Naive of the real world? PTSD living time bomb? etc . . .
>>
>>55052748
Because this is Shadowrun and even something as simple as "cybernetic limb" has to be overly complex so only the grognardiest and most annoying sort of roleplayer could ever get into this game so it can become increasingly niche until all that's left are fifty and sixty year old men playing it.

At least, I think that's how the SR5 design team thinks.
>>
>>55052757
A terminator is probably the best bet.
Works well with whatever revenge motive he might have, and can have a splash of real world naive if we're taking terminator 2.
The team can take the place of john connor.

I'm gonna have to work with the GM as to how sinned exactly a top secret SIN is. It'd be neat to have people show up from the corporation five sessions later after they did a deep data recovery on the firebombed files.
>>
>>55052748
In-game lorewise, because giving up a part of your body and replacing it with tech is ultimately giving up an innate "magical/living" part of your character/soul. Shadowrun bases magic off a living connection through the world and those that live in it. Its why disasters, whether drought or nuclear meltdown, can affect the magical world. If you remove part of yourself then you're essentially lessening your connection to the world flow of magic.

Mechanics wise, because you can get really stupid by having a large amount of cybernetics and its a way to balance naturals and chromies.
>>
>>55052689
>>55052713
Well my plan was to start shave off 1 point of essence max, and focus on passive adept powers so that I don't have to roll magic as often.

Although, at this point, you have me curious. Do you think I could get better damage that way than just going full adept or full razorboy? Does this idea sound like a gimmick that's not worth it?
>>
>>55052831
Adepts and magic in general are just stupid broken in SR5. It's so much better it's not even funny anymore and shows some fairly obvious author favoritism.
>>
>>55052831
You can still do that. And adepts rarely roll Magic in general anyway. That's a caster thing.
>>
File: tactical_mage_by_niw-d79vdu1.jpg (352KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
tactical_mage_by_niw-d79vdu1.jpg
352KB, 600x800px
>>55052831
Burnout adepts are a thing, but honestly it's just easier to go full adept if all you want to do is deal huge damage.

The rule of thumb is that magic is better at specialization, adepts especially, and mundanes/chrome is better at adaptability. That said, this is a game that favors specialization. So you can imagine what that means for overall game balance.
>>
>>55052713
>balance

Aye, I get that. I'm just aiming for the cool factor - wouldn't even care about them cybers being stronger than regular limbs.

Chromed up and casting spells sounds just so cool, you know? But since cyberware eats Essence, it could become very un-fun to try and fling spells.
>>
>>55052909
Fun must occasionally be sacrificed in the name of balance. This is one of those times that I feel it's justified. At least, it would be if mages weren't just better than mundanes anyway.

Again though, if you want to punch people with magic or just be able to say "yes I am magic" then burnout adepts are a thing. Not a great thing, but a thing.
>>
>>55052909
My current Adept actually has a bit of cyberware, but it's mostly hacking stuff and minor headware.
Also we're sort of playing a messy as shit SR4/5 hybrid system so it's not like you can really use us as guidelines.
>>
>>55052880
>>55052937
>Burnout adepts
Okay. Bear with me. I'm new to SR5's rules.
Does an adept keep his adept powers, even if his magic rating hits 0?
>>
>>55052973
No, but you don't want that anyway. You can still theoretically do stuff down to 2-1 essence though.
>>
>>55052697
>There's a big spot of ??? between "released onto the streets with skills and no handlers" and "shadowrunner".
No there isn't. Naive super soldiers stick out like fucking dogs balls, and the first fixer that spots them with half a brain will work on getting their hooks in. Done.
>>
>>55052554
Go for it. However if you intend to make that cyberarm a focus, do it at chargen. Doing it during play will be almost impossible due to object resistance.
>>
>>55052848
>Adepts are broken
They're good, but when you compare them to mages or well-built mysadepts, they're not THAT great, omae.
>>
>>55052697
>The best question is how they got to actually running the shadows.
literally copy Dervish there
food fight solves all problems
>>
>>55052848
Adepts are actually fundementally broken in the fact they are too weak. A pure adept with no 'ware rolls lower dice than a mundane in nearly any sphere of the game until they both raise their skills by a rather significant amount and their magic to boot.

The issue with adepts is that they have no reason not to dip into cyberware, so they can more easily heavily focus into one area.

Basically adepts aren't broken, they are terrible pieces of garbage and pretty much every power given to adepts that works off magic alone besides Harmonious Defender has been hot garbage that failed to solve their lack of access to attributes. But having access to multiple power sources in SR is very good. Nothing individually an adept gets is something they shouldn't have, hell, a lot of the "bullshit" stuff they get like commanding voice is actually what more adept powers should be, but with more magic scaling. But it is basically shit tier 'ware that stacks with good 'ware.

Mages aren't broken on a fundamental level like adepts are where nothing about them works right, but just have some options that are just way too fucking good, like quickening, channeling, power foci, psyche, and a lot of manipulation. Even the "broken" stuff like health buffs are only broken in the context of it being very easy to just make sustaining penalties not an issue, and without those tools buffs enter a healthy space where the mage COULD buff themselves up with A buff to get great power, but suddenly starts to break down heavily if they go beyond say... two.

Unlike adepts however, there is an innate reason not to hybridize mages with 'ware because their main powers aren't a downgraded version of 'ware that stacks with 'ware, and benefit from a focus on "purity" meaning that burnout mages aren't as unhealthy to the game as burnout adepts because for them there is an actual trade off that doesn't make a mage with 3 points of 'ware naturally just better than a mundane at what they do.
>>
>>55052880
Burnout adepts are objectively better than pure adept builds in pretty much every way, ESPECIALLY at dealing damage in melee, because regular adepts just don't have a good way to get permanent strength, and attribute boost explicitly doesn't help melee DV. So even with crit strike your 2 DV in the hole on melee sams, more if they are unarmed melee sams because augmentations blow crit strike out of the water.

Combat adepts basically, as a rule in 5e, need to get 'ware to even consistently win fights vs gangers, and not being able to take out an arbitrary number of gangers as a combat specialist means you aren't a combat specialist, it means you are something else who just knows how to fight.
>>
>>55046230
Any examples on what kind of characters you couldn't pull off? Would give a little more insight in what kind of changes you are going for.
>>
>>55052973
You get 1 Power Point per Magic rating that you have. You spend PP to permanently buy Adept powers. If you have 5 Magic, you get 5 PP worth of powers. If you have 1 Magic, you get 1 PP worth. If you have 0 Magic, you're not an Adept anymore.

Your Essence score, rounded down, serves as your Magic score's cap, and every time you drop your Essence your Magic drops too.

Adepts don't roll Magic, by and large, they just buy powers with PP.

Any cyberware you get directly reduces the number of powers you can get.

Almost all Adept powers are passive buffs, so there's a definite tradeoff relationship you can make.
>>
Where do I find rules for player vampires?
>>
>>55054904
Run Faster p.125 for 5e
>>
>>55054904
They're not going to be what you think/want.
>>
>>55053356
>>55053390
I don't agree with that. A Magic 6 Adept can start out with Improved Reflexes 3, Agility Boost, Improved Ability (Automatics) 3, Combat Sense 1, and still have .25 leftover to pick up Improved Sense (Ultrasound) or something.

Three runs later, he Initiates for +1 PP, and two runs after that he Initiates again for an additional +1 PP.

And melee adepts have the option of rocking a Weapon Focus with a +6 to hit on top of other dice pool bonuses.

That's parity and then some with a Street Samurai - especially if he's rocking the discount from a Way, or started with Exceptional Attribute (Magic).

Does it get even better if he dips into 'ware for Muscle Toner, or whatever? Sure. That's when it starts getting broken as fuck. But even an unaugmented Adept is solidly functional.
>>
Hey Chummer, have any of you experiences with r/ShadowNET or r/RunnerHub ?
On the one hand the look like an interessting way to get my quick fix or SR every now and again, but on the other hand i know how cancerous stuff like that can get.
>>
>>55055086
A player wants to be a vampire, I'm just checking.
>>
>>55055184
Then definitely check Run Faster. Remember that Regeneration can't be purchased at chargen, but it will definitely be your player's first purchase if they're smart. Learn how the power works, and what it can and can't heal.
>>
Hey guys, if I wanna dig into learning about the setting what books besides the core book (I've downloaded all 5 editions) should I look into?
>>
>>55055236
Start with the Sixth World Almanac. That's the single best crash course on the setting at large. After that, it's just books that delve into whatever more specific topics pique your interest.
>>
>>55055241

Cool thanks, what edition is it listed under?
>>
>>55055253
4e, I think. There might be a 5e version too, but the 4e one for sure.

The fluff doesn't change much between 4e and 5e, so it'll be a great setting primer.
>>
>>55055163
both of them are different paint jobs on
>meet up
>do run
>get paid
>leave
pure runs, no downtime
>>
How would you handle making melee weapons via the Shape [Material] spell, and what would the object resistance of said weapons be?
>>
>>55055285
>How would you handle making melee weapons via the Shape [Material] spell
An Armorer roll.

>and what would the object resistance of said weapons be?
Depends on the material, obviously.
>>
>>55055282
Yeah, that much i gathered, but
1) Are the runs any good?
2)Is the community alright?
Stuff like this can often develop a strong in-group mentality.
For example, with SRs many, many sub-systems and obscure rules i don't want to fall into disgrace because i made rookie mistake #174 or something like that.
>>
>>55055297
>An Armorer roll
Thought so

>Depends on the material, obviously.
This is where I start to wonder: Does using the spell count as coldworking the material? Can you use it to turn carbon into diamond? Or use several instances of the spell to make glorious nippon steel, folded over 1000 times?
If yes, do the products of the spell still have an object resistance of 3?
>>
>>55055515
The material has to remain the same material, and you literally break it down to reshape it.

>Loose material can be moved and re-shaped easily, but material that is connected or reinforced (such as walls or other material part of a structure) must be broken apart
>>
>>55055515
The key point of Object Resistance 3 isn't that it's cold worked, is that it's cold worked BY HAND.

Aside from that, if it's an Alloy it's moot anyway.
>>
>>55055515
>Can you use it to turn carbon into diamond?

I would say that you can, in the end a diamond is a bunch of carbon atoms arranged in a specific structure. However since you're attempting to modify the atomic structure of the material, you'd need to beat an ungodly OR to succeed.
>>
I need opinions on how to implement Focused Awakened from Forbidden Arcana. I'm not sure how they're supposed to mesh with the priority system; are you supposed to pick a given Magic priority and then the relevant Focus, or are they their own thing?
>>
>>55055466
I've played on runnerhub for a few weeks It can get cliquey, but people generally give new players low threat/pity runs to get them into the game. There are about 10 or so job postings a week.

My biggest complaint is that alot of the 'house rules' can feel arbitrary and if you're unfamiliar with their house rules the character application process can take a bit longer than it would on your home table.
>>
>>55055666
They just slap on top of whatever awakened choice you make, Satan.
>>
>>55055666
As I understand it, an Apprentice is another option for all ranks of aspected mage, while the others are all options only at the given magic priority.

At least for priority and sum-to-ten.
>>
>>55055624
Does using a spell count as working by hand, or is it worse (or even better, considering that you use mana to shape a material)?

>>55055571
>>55055636
Alright, but what counts as a single material?
Take steel for example: There are many types of steel used for all kinds of things. Can you use Shape Steel to form both the steel beams of a building and the exterior of a car? Or does the spell apply only to a single chemical compound?

Also, if you can use the spell to vaporize water, can you use Shape Copper and Shape Tin to melt and combine both elements to bronze? Could you form bronze if you used both shape spells simultanously?

Could you shape everything if you had a spell for all elements on the periodic table?
>>
>>55055875
>Alright, but what counts as a single material?
Anything a GM will allow. I, for instance, wouldn't allow the use of the periodic table when choosing a shape spell.
>>
>>55055875
It definitely doesn't count as working by hand - there's no distinction beyond that. If it's not an Alloy, that would make it OR 6. If it is an Alloy, like steel, then it's 9.
>>
>>55055864
Well, dick. That's going to be awkward to do without making a million choices. Hrm.
>>
>>55055875
Here is how i would rule it, given that you have Shape Copper and Shape Tin
>Can you use Shape Steel to form both the steel beams of a building and the exterior of a car?
Yes

>can you use Shape Copper and Shape Tin to melt and combine both elements to bronze?
Yes
>Could you form bronze if you used both shape spells simultanously?
I'd go with a soft No. If you combine Cu and Sn yourself you could shape it into simply shapes like a club or a rough ball, but for found bronze and more complex shapes the CR would be so high that it would basically be wasting time.

BUT
I wouldn't give you those two Shape spells as lined out. I'd combine them into something like 'Shape Base Metal' so you can actually get millage out of the spell.
>>
>>55055875
>Also, if you can use the spell to vaporize water, can you use Shape Copper and Shape Tin to melt and combine both elements to bronze? Could you form bronze if you used both shape spells simultanously?
That's an alloy. OR 9.
>>
What's my best bet for the most tanky 4-door sedan possible? I know I'll probably be sacrificing some kind of performance in speed or handling, but I want to be able to apply enough covert armor to be able to tank most non-APDS shots without sticking out like a sore thumb.

I'm going to turn whatever I get into not just an escape/tailing/commuting vehicle, but also my 'shit hitting the fan' primary combat 'drone.'
>>
>>55055987
>>55056083
>>55056109
>>55056120
Thanks, chummers. Guess it comes down to the GM (as usual).
>>
>>55056276
I recommend a van of some kind, nice and spacious, solid enough to begin with, and if you like it enough you can always crank up the speed and handling for a decent getaway. Plus, there's enough room for a mural!
>>
File: 57663719_p0.jpg (731KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
57663719_p0.jpg
731KB, 1600x1200px
>>55056276

Your best bet for a sedan is probably the SK-Bentley-Concordat from the core book.

If you're willing to go for a wood-paneled station wagon, the Longboard from Rigger 5 has a ton of space for modifications as well.
>>
Which book is SAG?
>>
>>55056913
State of the Art (German).
>>
>>55056276
>>55056691
His best bet is definitely the Concordat. With Concealed Armor, it hits 16 armor, which is the best in-class. You'd have to drop to a coup (Hotspur) or a luxury vehicle (Phaeton) to get a car with higher armor.

>>55056525
A van is definitely the better bet for an armored battle-wagon, though. An Ares Roadmaster if you're willing to be overt, or a Bulldog Stepvan otherwise. You can get 17 concealed armor and 33 Soak on a Stepvan, or 27 obvious armor (24 concealed) and 45/42 soak on the Roadmaster.

And both the Roadmaster and the Stepvan are cheaper than the Concordat.

The stepvan won't draw a single second look, especially if you have it displaying a fake company logo on the side. The Roadmaster, on the other hand, isn't exactly subtle, but it is road-legal, and not too out of place anywhere except the safest of corporate arcologies.

At 52k nuyen, the Roadmaster is totally a vehicle that you could expect safety-conscious soccer moms to get as a carpool vehicle in the Sixth World.
>>
>that realization you will never get to play SR again
I might as well prepare for Food Fight, shouldn't I?
>>
>>55031969
10% of the time they will try to screw them out of money or clean them up. A third of these guys might actually have the stuff to pull it off.

20% of the time they will be fussy about pay or deliberatly leave out important info that would make the runners think twice about taking the job.

30% of the time they will be ignorant to whatever extra danger is involved in the run. One in four of these will offer fair compansation for the runner's trouble, two will be open to additional haggling, the last will be son of a bitch.
>>
Do you use music in your shadowrun?
Where do you get yours?
I use a lot of perturbator and mega drive. With a bit of magic sword, or zombie hyperdrive thrown in. I'm looking for more stuff.
>>
>>55060519
I use a mix of Carpenter Brut and video game soundtracks, with a bit of The Protomen and Rush for combat sequences.
>>
>>55060519
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUhcwdALOGM

New RetroWave is good for quite a few playlists.
>>
>>55060519
I use a Pandora playlist derived from picks like that.
Le Matos is another good band.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUlTo1i6XdQ
>>
>>55060519
Moon, Magic Sword, basically both HL:M soundtracks, ABBA, Sinoia Caves, Funkadelic, Beck and the Hackers soundtrack

Thats my go to, plus a smattering of random youtube electronic, drum and bass stuff.
>>
>>55060519

If you're looking exclusively for retrowave, I'd like to recommend ALEX and Daniel Deluxe.

https://soundcloud.com/alexofficialuk

https://danieldeluxe.bandcamp.com/
>>
File: _brolaf_bot_by_siakim-d99fcrd.jpg (567KB, 900x1945px) Image search: [Google]
_brolaf_bot_by_siakim-d99fcrd.jpg
567KB, 900x1945px
Hey, chummers, almost thought I lost you guys.

I'm thinking of playing an ork hermetic mage with a penchant for using fist and massive biceps in 4e. Anyone capable of talking me out of this?
>>
>>55062248

Nah dude, troll decker.
>>
>>55062248
Why talk you out of it? I did the same and it's awesome. It may not be the most optional mechanical choice, but there's loads of RP potential.

No one expects the ork to be a smarty hermetic. No one expects the mage to uppercut fools.
>>
Anyone pulled any runs in Las Vegas? How does Pueblo fair in running America's Playground?
>>
>>55062352
I've never actually had anyone that had gone melee in my groups so far. Does it have any benefits over just sticking to ranged (besides being fucking cool as hell)?
>>
>>55062963
If you fully muscle and aug out, you can hit someone really goddamn hard with your fists. Clinch and its sub-techniques are very handy as well.

Muscle Wizards aren't really optimal but they're fun as fuck.

Does anyone have the statblock for the Zyzz Mentor Spirit?
>>
>>55062963
>Does it have any benefits over just sticking to ranged (besides being fucking cool as hell)?
It doesn't run out of bullets, it's silent, implanted melee is easy to conceal, you can hook it up to poison delivery systems, and even a human or elf with a cyberarm can be tossing out 11P melee attacks.

In general, though, it's strictly less effective than a gun.
>>
>>55062963
If you use melee as a secondary attack it is best to go unarmed. You can never be disarmed and you are ready at a moments notice, as well as not drawing attention.
Also if you mix 'ware and magic correctly you can have some of the highest damage in the game, short of explosives.
That said, it's better to use martial arts to disable/reposition enemies, rather than just punching them.

Of course if you are a mage this can get silly. Grab fools and put them in a headlock, then get your summoned Spirit of Ass Whooping to beat them unconcious. Teamwork!
>>
>>55062248
Keep in mind that a street Muscle Wizard is a great opportunity to take drug tolerance qualities/bioware/geneware. Why? Because rules-as-written they also apply to foci addiction tests. So load up on foci, you magical glowing bastard.
>>
>>55062352
>>55063168
>>55063372
>>55063479

god damn it, you guys. this sounds too damn cool to pass up now.
>>
>>55062331
>decker
>4e

>>55063281
>11P melee attacks
>4e

>>55063479
>foci addiction
>4e
>>
>>55063778
>4e
In that case a human can get an 8P spur in a cyberarm straight out of chargen.

That said, in 4e anything less than Semi-Automatic is the most bottom-tier garbage imaginable.
>>
Is there even ONE goddamn Shadowrun book that establishes a baseline expected pay for certain job types that isn't that god-awful 5e chart?
I seem to recall there must have been one for 4e in some book somewhere, but maybe I'm giving the various creators of this game way too much credit.
>>
File: 1364697537063.gif (6KB, 381x178px) Image search: [Google]
1364697537063.gif
6KB, 381x178px
>Reading through Forbidden Arcana
>There are 7 consecutive pages of cringe-educing character chat
>>
So, I have always loved self improving guns in any game that lets me have them.
What's the closest I can come to a living gun in shadowrun?
>>
>>55065806
You can slot a weak AI chip into your gun (For sure in 4e, dunno about the others) and have your /k/ tier gun waifu.
>>
>>55065838
I'm less interested in "gun waifu" and more interested in "I attached a small robot arm to it and feed it scrap so it grows big and strong"
>>
>>55065846
You want nanotech for that.

Nanotech is fucked thanks to CFD.

Play 4E or drop it.
>>
>>55065388
B-but it features fan favourites like Bull and Frosty! How could you hate it?
>>
>>55065877
shit.
>>
>>55064763
>Is there even ONE goddamn Shadowrun book that establishes a baseline expected pay for certain job types that isn't that god-awful 5e chart?
No. Or if there is, it's 3e or earlier.
>>
>>55065846
That's not a thing.
>>
>>55031969
>Dwarves have been around for 70 years, have no language or culture and their only major gripe when it comes to being metahumans is "sometimes people forget we exist"
Players & GMs forget it, but it's only been an ork generation since the Night Of Rage.

http://shadowrun.wikia.com/wiki/Night_of_Rage

However far they've fallen out since, that shit was unifying for orks, trolls, dwarves, and elves.
>>
File: giphy.gif (2MB, 550x254px) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
2MB, 550x254px
So I'm taking a new player through a short solo session to get the feel of the game before we play for real. He's playing a mage infiltrator, and his job was to clear the way so a decker could get in, steal the data and leave. Once they got in, they discovered two issues with the plan. One, the server is bolted to the ceiling, and two, the data is far too massive to simply download and skedaddle. My idea was, decker broadcasts the data from her deck to a host she has access to, which triggers security. Player spends some time setting up traps, then there's a few rounds of fire-fight before the rigger comes in for the pickup and they make a hot-getaway. Simple, straightforward, and lets him play with his skill set.

Problem is, now my player wants to steal the whole fucking thing. He wants to cut the 3 cubic meter box out of the ceiling and drive off with it. He even told the rigger to go rent a u-haul. I called the session off there because I was tired, and a little salty that my 3 day old copy of SR5 already has the binding coming out, and I have no idea how to run this.

So I guess my questions are:
1. How would you run this, and how would you make it more exciting than breaking the bolts and towing the server out?
2. What's the shadowrun equivalent of u-haul?
3. Do I bitch to CGL or amazon about my shitty book?
>>
Hey chummers, was reading forbidden arcana and saw Explorer. It seems like a cool idea to me - running a character who focuses on astral combat. Is a build like this viable?
>>
>>55069011
don't let him do that
>>
>>55069011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdWH8o6oVn8
>>
>>55069011
Well, for one thing if it's on the ceiling physically getting to it would be annoying. Two, the thing is going to wired into the local systems, so if you try to physically yank it out the entire god damn building going to know about as everything that depends on the server stops working. Also, servers these day often have physically separate storage in the form of Network attached Storage (NAS) or even a Storage Area Network (SAN) essentially banks of hard drives, stealing the server itself is no guarantee of taking the data with it. Yanking could also damage it, irretrievably losing the data in question. In short this a fucking boneheaded plan and you should make that abundantly clear.
>>
>>55046908
The problem with that is that if you pay them too much, they can buy top of the line equipment really fast and it becomes an arms race where you as the gm need to basically outgun them every run.
This mentality led to our group fighting giant cyber t-rex that shoot lasers because our gm didn't know what to do after a guy oneshotted a red samurai. I honestly don't know what went wrong anyways. Shadowrun wasn't fun anymore :/
>>
>>55069347
Possibly as a half thing, combined with another role (probably face) so you don't get bored when it's not time to do the astral thing. Thing is spirits have traditionally been a major threat to shadowrunners (less so in recent editions but they're still pretty dangerous) so having a mage to counter them is important and punching the in astral space is as good a way as any. Going astral is also a valuable tool for intelligence gathering.
>>
>>55046046

>the book suggests 3k base per runner then add multipliers, but that sounds like kind of a lot.

That sounds like 'Not enough to make rent AND save for gear' if your runs take more than a single night to do. In my experience there is often several days or even a couple of weeks of legwork before any major run (Unless having little prep time is a big factor for the run, generally with a pay jump)
>>
>>55069699
I don't know avout you, but if a game ended with us fighting a cyber t-rex, my group would consider everything to have gone perfectly right.
>>
>>55069011
>tracker inside the server
>they get jumped on when they try to unlock it in safe location
or
>explosive charge inside the server
>when they get to far away they just fail the mission with 16p damage on top of it
>>
>>55069709
This anon is on the right track. Think about what kind of lifestyle your runners have. Do they have swanky apartments in a secured building (middle to high) or do they spend all their money on bullets and stims, but live under a viaduct (low to street)?
How many runs per month do they take to cover their expenses? If they only go on 1 run every month, but live really well, the runs should pay 10 to 15 thousand each, but be proportionally challenging. If they take 3-4 runs a month, but are still scrabbling to pay the bills, then those are easy things, like simple datasteals and protection gigs that don't take a lot of legwork or expenditure of resources.
If you have low lifestyle runners who are trying to get ahead, then they need to go the extra mile for the nuyen. They've got to find paydata in addition to whatever the objective data is. If they get into a gunfight with some corporate security, they should be scooping up the leftover guns and stuff to fence. I know, typically they want to keep all the gear, but you can't eat AK-97s. Also, if they go looking for paydata, there's always a chance they'll come across something too hot to handle, and you have adventure seeds built in.
>>
>>55046046
3k nuyen is only 1.5 karma. Do you routinely only give out 1.5 karma per run?

The average is 6-10 karma, that's 12k-20k nuyen. Those makes sense since the average is 2-4 runs per month (usually 2).
>>
>>55069011
>a little salty that my 3 day old copy of SR5 already has the binding coming out
Wouldn't have this problem if you used the OP.

>>55069522
Doesn't sound very wireless future of you.
>>
>>55070083
>Wouldn't have this problem if you used the OP.
Been using both. I just wanted to have the book as well, but now I see that was a mistake. Are their books always this low quality?
>>
>>55069705
Cheers.
>>
>>55033707
>>55033851
is this just a fuck up by the game or is this something that has happened in universe?
>>
>>55033699
because being a gangster is fun. Seriously some people just want to do evil shit and have people fear them.
>>
>>55054871
don't forget you can always initiate to raise your magic.
>>
New thread topic?
>>
>>55071200
D R U G S
R U G S D
U G S D R
G S D R U
S D R U G
>>
File: 1484326410829.png (481KB, 1834x671px) Image search: [Google]
1484326410829.png
481KB, 1834x671px
>>55063168
>Does anyone have the statblock for the Zyzz Mentor Spirit?
>>
>>55065388
On the other hand, its the first reference to Horrors in years, and confirmation that Azzies are going to get us all killed.
>>
NEW THREAD
>>55071390
>>55071390
>>
>>55070083
Any corporate environment is going to have hard-wired systems, if nothing else they are more secure than wireless, and they are subject to less interference, making them more reliable for more important things. Furthermore I refuse to believe the matrix doesn't have a backbone of fibre-optic cable, wireless may be ever-present , but you can't use it for everything, the noise would be too great.
>>
>>55071466
Most segregate their internal wifi-space with inhibiting wallpaper and paint. A smaller selection of corporate buildings use wires, and a smaller selection still network through the building's power systems.
>>
>>55062431
The Mafia runs Vegas and Horizon runs LA. The PCC just collects revenue and secures the borders.

I'm exaggerating, but not by a lot.
>>
>>55069011
Complain to Amazon. It's not their fault, but CGL isn't going to do shit about it.
>>
>>55069347
Explorer is weird. If I was playing one, I'd get a sick Weapon Focus, the most Essence-friendly bioware Initiative and Agility enhancements I can get, and any Astral Perception-related Metamagic I find as I Initiate. Maybe the Lightning Reflexes quality instead of Initiative augmentation.

From there, you serve as a secondary combat character, a solid infiltrator, and your main specialty is fucking up spirits and doing assensing/Astral scouting during the legwork phrase.

Honestly, I'd have preferred getting an Adept power for projection. 1PP, requires Astral Perception, that kind of thing. That would've worked better for the concept. But hey, beggars can't be choosers.
>>
>>55070751
It's grotesquely expensive to raise your Magic from 5 to 6, or even higher. If you gain PP from Initiation, it's almost always going to be because you picked that instead of a Metamagic. Improving your attributes post-chargen it's mostly just got bringing your dump stats from 1 to 2.
Thread posts: 331
Thread images: 32

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.