[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/osrg/ Old School Renaissance General Yog-Sothoth Edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 321
Thread images: 53

File: yog-sothoth.png (163KB, 407x550px) Image search: [Google]
yog-sothoth.png
163KB, 407x550px
Welcome to the Old School Renaissance General!
>Trove:
http://pastebin.com/QWyBuJxd (embed)
>Online Tools:
http://pastebin.com/KKeE3etp (embed)
>Blogosphere:
http://pastebin.com/ZwUBVq8L (embed)

Previous thread: >>54959065

How do you feel about "lovecraftian" monsters and themes in an OSR context?
>>
>>54983275
Oh god I shat up the links
>>
>>54983282

Oh you.
>>
How would you classify the spell indexes in ACKs and its Player Companion book? I'm trying to group them together in seperate schools of magic. Like spells good for espionage, or utility and communication, or battle magic stuff, etc.
>>
So seriously what's a good way to do non-Vancian, non-DCC, non-Wonder and Wickedness magic for OSR games? Prefer something rules light and somewhat spontaneous.
>>
>>54983351

You could use D&D's system; Abjuration, Conjuration, Enchantment and Illusion, etc.

You could try elder scrolls- Destruction, Restoration, Alteration, etc.

Or you could try Elemental or similar.

I've like the idea of just using four categories- Charms, Hexes, Summons, and Enchantments which include mind affecting stuff. Just spit balling here.
>>
>>54976506
>Har någon av er testat Svärd och Svartkonst?
Näe. Jag har i princip struntat i det för det verkar inte så bra.
>>
>>54983353
What is it, in particular, that you object to about Vancian magic? Is it the memorization? Is it that spells are a dwindling daily resource? Is it that spell slots are stratified by level?

Because I have to say that I actually quite like the last of those. It means all spells aren't in direct competition with each other, which would dramatically exacerbate any balance issues.

The memorization issue can be easily addressed by not making people memorize spells. This can be done a number of ways. One is that you have a limited number of spells that just get checked off as you cast them (so basically, every spell you know is "memorized"). Maybe you get to cast every single spell once, or maybe there will be a few left over (you know 3 spells but can only cast 2 of them in a day). Maybe they don't get checked off at all, and operate more like spontaneous magic in later editions (you know these X spells and can cast any of them over and over until you've depleted your spell slots for that level).

As far as the dwindling daily resource goes, you could limit spells per encounter/chapter, or just restore a limited number of them with a short rest period. Keeping the same system, you could say people could only cast 1 spell of each level know, with the top two levels possibly lumped together. So if your spell slots were 3 / 2 / 2 / 1, you could cast one 1st level spell, one 2nd level spell, and one spell of either 3rd or 4th level during any given encounter. Maybe you could even limit it to a maximum of 2 spells per encounter, with only one of them coming from the top two levels of spells you know. You could still deplete your spells rather quickly like this, but you wouldn't be crazy powerful in cases where you had a one-event/encounter day.
>>
>>54983275
>How do you feel about "lovecraftian" monsters and themes in an OSR context?

I feel like people don't know what lovecraftian actually is. Lovecraftian horror is when something is so large and intimidating that it simply cannot be stopped. What's more, it's so big that it views the human condition as meaningless and beneath notice.

After that initial, general theme you have sub-themes that vary based on the author.

Lovecraft
>Was afraid of sexuality, intimacy, human bodies
>It reflected in the perversions of human form
>Examples: Deep ones, perverse bloodlines, ghoul changelings, demonic interbreeding

Derleth
>Was afraid of technology
>Was kind of weird about that stuff
>Examples: Travel around the world real fast, having books reproduced on demand, explosives (lots of explosives), recording voices

So if people can pull off the whole 'bigger than humanity as a whole' theme and then insert their own weird phobias and fetishes, then I think lovecraftian content is perfect in OSR. Most people just throw in slimy things and tentacles though, which misses the point pretty hard.
>>
>>54983275
I don't feel like Lovecraft and D&D levels really work well together, so having them as the focus of a campaign, at least, seems flawed.
>>
>>54983633
It works fine if you accept that the players would never be able to actually win against the cosmic horrors. At best they'd be able to defeat the servants of the Great Ones and set them back a few hundred years, but ultimately the entire thing is futile.

It's actually pretty good for OSR because even the lesser-tier Old Ones could cause a party wipe if a cult manages to partially summon one. High-danger, impossible odds, nasty big baddies with nasty servants.
>>
>>54983353
ACKS.
>>
Has anyone used the pointcrawl or pathcrawl system in their games? How is it?
http://hillcantons.blogspot.com/2012/01/crawling-without-hexes-pointcrawl.html?m=1

http://detectmagic.blogspot.com/2014/04/pathcrawl.html?m=1
>>
>>54983584
>What is it, in particular, that you object to about Vancian magic?

Is "I'm a hipster and want to do something different just cuz" not good enough?
>>
File: poker chip spells.png (55KB, 1482x721px) Image search: [Google]
poker chip spells.png
55KB, 1482x721px
I'm toying around with doing spells per rest using poker chips. In effect, shit would be arranged so you'd get fresh chips after each battle / chapter / rest, which you'd spend to cast spells. In addition, you'd have either one or two daily chips that you could throw in anytime to boost the level of the spell you could cast.

A White chip would let you cast a 1st level spell. A Red chip would let you cast a 2nd level spell. A Blue chip would let you cast a 3rd level spell. You could combine any two chips to boost the level (a White and a Red is 1+2 = 3rd level spell), but you couldn't combine more than two chips at a time. The exception to this would be Black Chips, which are your daily chips. They work like White Chips (1 level) but can be freely combined without worrying about the 2 chip maximum. So you could combine 2 White Chips (the maximum number of chips you can combine) and 2 Black Chips (which ignore the maximum) to yield 1+1+1+1 = 4th level.

All spell levels would need to be shifted up 1 level in order for this to work, with 1st level spells becoming 2nd level spells, and cantrips becoming 1st level spells.

Everything is showed in the image, with the red values shifted back down a level to enable an easy comparison with RAW. Under "possible spell level combinations" something like 2,1,1 would mean that (ignoring your daily Black Chips), you could cast a 2nd level spell and two 1st level spells in any given chapter/encounter/between-rests period.
>>
>>54983675
>It works fine if you accept that the players would never be able to actually win against the cosmic horrors.
I disagree with this, I think Carcosa is one of the best ever treatments of Lovecraftian horror and definitely the best OSR one, and that's clearly structured such that the PCs can potentially defeat the cosmic horrors (McKinney has remarked that the potential ultimate goal for a Mount Voormithadreth megadungeon could be to drop a Space Alien nuke on Shub-Niggurath putting an end to it and thus making the exinction of all Spawn just a matter of time).
>>
Promised a fellow Anon in the previous thread to post a link to my custom OD&D Single Volume Edition cover:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bz8VPki6Gto3SGN5elQtN0ZHcms
>>
>>54984475
Did you put it on Lulu yet? And will you share a link when you do?
>>
Could someone kindly explain how ODND combat works please, I'm trying to understand what the fuck the combat reference table is.
>>
>>54984729
OD&D has several combat systems. The main ones being the man to man and fantasy tables from Chainmail and the Alternative Combat System that went on to just become regular combat
>>
>>54984782
May I ask someone to explain to me the regular combat (Ie alternative that became regular?)
>>
>>54984822
It's just D&D combat.

There's a D20 roll that you make and depending on your hit dice/level you look at a cetain part of the table under your targets AC. If it is higher than that number, you hit.
>>
File: Dzix0Ni.gif (9KB, 237x172px) Image search: [Google]
Dzix0Ni.gif
9KB, 237x172px
>>54984729
>Could someone kindly explain how ODND combat works please
Alright. There are two systems: the faggy "Alternative Combat System", which became the regular D&D combat rules. You know how this works, but on the other hand it sucks and you should avoid it.

The other system requires the medieval minis wargame Chainmail. The combat reference tables are in the back of that book. Chainmail itself contains three resolution methods:

>Mass Combat
Troops have a type and melee combat is resolved by cross-referencing troop types on the Combat Table (much less obnoxious than it sounds), then chucking some dice. The roll is with Xd6 depending on numbers (for example, some Heavy Foot attacking some Light Foot roll one die per man to attack). Mass Combat is super simple, but not very detailed.

The troop types (e.g. "fight as Light Foot") specified for humanoid enemies in Volume II refer to this type of combat. The Fighting Capability listed on the class level charts are also relevant here; for instance, a level 5 Fighting-Man counts as five men (of the type appropriate to his equipment; mostly this will be based on armor, but e.g. wearing plate and wielding only a dagger will mean you attack as Light Foot but defend as Armored Foot) in Mass Combat.

(to be continued)
>>
File: Chainmail 3E.pdf (2MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Chainmail 3E.pdf
2MB, 1x1px
>>54984877
>Man-to-Man
Now we're cooking with gas! Man-to-Man combat is pretty granular and takes armor and weaponry into account. You should use this in most cases when humanoid enemies are fought; only when there are droves of enemies (or in a special case I'll mention later) should Mass Combat be preferred. This type of combat references the Man-to-Man Melee Table, which is on the page after the Combat Table at the back of Chainmail. Attacks are rolled with 2d6 against a target number determined by cross-referencing the attacker's weapon with the defender's armor type. (Ideally, the player will write down the attack line for his weapon.)

Again, higher-level characters get a number of attacks in Man-to-Man combat equal to their Fighting Capability ("# Men") each round.

(to be concluded)
>>
>>54984938
>Fantasy Combat
Heroes and monsters use this type of combat; armor and weaponry is irrelevant except when/if magical. As before, the attacker and defender types are cross-referenced on the Fantasy Combat Table, which gives a target number to hit with 2d6. Crucially, you get only *one attack* per round regardless of level if fighting in this type of combat!

Only higher-level characters can participate in this type of combat, however; this is the purpose of the other part of Fighting Capability. When Fighting Capability is listed as Hero, Superhero or Wizard, that entry on the table is used to determine the character's attack and defense, as modified by any bonus or malus given in the table. (For example, a Swashbuckler fights as a "Hero+1", thus he gets +1 to his rolls to hit, and enemies must roll against a target number 1 higher than listed in the table.)

You'll notice that the first access anyone gets to Fantasy Combat is the Swordsman or level 3 Fighting-Man, who fights as a "Hero-1". This leaves a gap, of course: how do lower-level PCs battle large or inhuman monsters, if they encounter them? The answer is that they have to fight them in Mass Combat, which is appallingly dangerous. Monsters have their stats for this listed in Chainmail's Fantasy Supplement, which is part of the book; OD&D Volume II often references this.

To give one example, an Ogre is a relatively weak monster in Fantasy Combat, needing an 8 or better to hit a Hero and requiring a 9 or better to be hit by the Hero in turn; however, in Mass Combat they fight as six Heavy Foot, allowing them to roll up to six dice each round, hitting on sixes and depending on the opponent, perhaps fives as well. On a good roll, then, an ogre could wipe a first-level party in one round; a crucial role for Hero-types is actually to tie such foes up in Fantasy Combat to deprive them of their crazy potential for mass violence.
>>
>>54985030

What if a Hero fights the ogre along with a bunch of low level guys? Or do they have to fight separately?
>>
File: Strategic Review #2.pdf (640KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Strategic Review #2.pdf
640KB, 1x1px
>PDF: the issue of TSR with the combat example in it; forgot to add to last post

>>54985060
As I understand it the Hero and the ogre are locked in Fantasy Combat until one side breaks or is slain. The normal men might also be allowed to assault the ogre in Mass Combat at the same time depending on the referee's judgment; arguably, however, ruling that that's permitted would also imply that the ogre can choose to attack the low-level guys instead of the Hero, in which case they're liable to be devastated and probably ought to stand back.
>>
>>54979005
>there was that guy with the dark souls one a while back that people liked a lot
Anyone got a copy of this magic system? This seems fascinating, just as a curiosity.
>>
Do you fellows know of any good resources for creating ocean and island hexcrawls?
>>
>>54985235
nvm, found it
>>
File: 100 class pyramid.pdf (123KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
100 class pyramid.pdf
123KB, 1x1px
Alright here it is, a write up of all those classes on that 100 class pyramid thing. Obviously none of these will be balanced at all, but I hope you find it interesting.
>>
File: 100 classes pyramid.png (3MB, 3154x2493px) Image search: [Google]
100 classes pyramid.png
3MB, 3154x2493px
And here's the pyramid.
>>
>>54983353
Mana and mana costs?
>>
>>54985900
And lemme guess - level 9 spells cost 9 mana?
>>
>>54985900
>>54985939
Grab a page out of FFTA2's book and use a fluctating mana system; it's by far the most dynamic approach and keeps things relatively balanced.
>>
>>54985939
If that is what you want, sure

Vancian magic is just a method of cost. Mana is just a different method that is easier to mathematically manipulate.
>>
>>54984009
>Has anyone used the pointcrawl or pathcrawl system in their games? How is it?

I haven't used it on purpose, but if you think about it any wilderness crawl is technically a point crawl. Everything that's just vague "you see some trees" is the connecting lines and anything with an actual description (a landmark or adventure site) is a point. So in that sense I've used pointcrawling and it works great. I'm not sure how it does when it comes to abstracting smaller locations like dungeons, though.
>>
>>54985592
No resources but I can point to a problem you'll need to address: the ocean is all vague non-space. On land you can throw in a landmark every couple hours or days to keep people oriented, but on water it's just "you see water in all directions" for days at a time.

Reading up on how constellations work may be useful for using them for landmark purposes or else expect to abstract pretty much all of the actual sailing to "we head east" -> roll dice to check accuracy -> "you sail for five days and wind up at an island".
>>
>>54985782
Holy fuck, dude! That's a hell of a job.

I have some questions about chump shit though if you don't mind: why did you put Warrior as 100 instead of 00 as in the pyramid? It's a bit jarring to find an obvious warrior class right at the end instead of at the beginning where it "belongs" in some sense. Also, when you say "once per day equal to your level", that's supposed to mean "a number of times per day equal to your level" or "once per day per level", right?
>>
>>54986123

The warrior being 100 is supposed to be so if you roll a 00 on the die you know it's technically 100, despite being at the 0 position on the pyramid as the quintessential 'warrior' type.

I don't really understand your second part. It's once every day equal to your level as the limit of times you can use your powers. 3rd level characters can use those powers 3 times a day, and so on.
>>
>>54986145
>I don't really understand your second part.
The issue is that "once every day equal to level" is really weird grammar, and makes it unclear if you mean "[level] times/day". From your reply I take it that that *is* what you mean though, so that's fine.
>>
>>54986108
That's a good point, thanks. I'll try to learn a bit about constellations and navigation.
>>
File: Joust_matrix.png (99KB, 964x583px) Image search: [Google]
Joust_matrix.png
99KB, 964x583px
Has anyone used this table before? How did it go?
>>
>>54983275
Are the dolmenwood zines somewhere in the trove? Couldn't find them anywhere. See also, green devil face 6/7?
>>
Does anyone think the LotFP aging rules are ridiculously harsh for humans and halflings? "Save vs. Paralyzation every year or permanently lose a point in an ability score, penalties at 10 and 20/30 years later" sounds like it would just turn people into useless lumps of walking cancer rather than age them.
>>
>>54987123
It ties in with the LotFP theme that adventurers are fools who die in many many ways.
>>
>>54983275
By lovecraftian do you mean "horrible barely-described thing that mows through people and makes the PCs question their place in the cosmos" or "DUDE TENTACLES ROLL FOR SAN LOSS LMAO"

>>54987123
>>54987180
>LotFP is edgy shit
mind = blown
>>
>>54987302
>By lovecraftian do you mean "horrible barely-described thing that mows through people and makes the PCs question their place in the cosmos" or "DUDE TENTACLES ROLL FOR SAN LOSS LMAO"
Either
>>
>>54987302
>DUDE "PSYCHOLOGY" LMAO
See I can do that too
>>
>>54984233
>Carcosa
What system is the module for and where do I find it?
>>
>>54983275
Well, actually there are already a lot of old Cthulhu books, and a lot of the scenario within them were basically written by D&D authors who ended up creating some weird stuff, between Dungeon crawler, more or less good investigation (or just plain bad) and many different things from today.

So it really depends on what you really want to means by talking about lovecraftian monster and theme in an OSR context, is it truly with the D&D beginning in mind or also with the beginning of CoC ?

Nevertheless, I think it could really work with the D&D context, if you set the global tone of the setting around it : the players will never truly face the cosmic horrors, but their shadow will surround everything. In a OSR way (well, as I understand it), players must be able to defeat everything, even if it could mean fleeing only to come back later, so they might just fight cultists and lesser otherworldy entity, but there must be a feeling that they'll never be able to stop everything, that all their doings might be pointless.
>>
>>54987496
There are two versions. The first is an independent OD&D supplement and the second is a LotFP conversion with some changes and higher production values. You can find them in the trove.
>>
>>54984194

Sounds interesting. First thing to do is playtest it. Preferably with a powergaming ubermunchkin at hand to really stress it and find where it can break.
>>
File: 1500777081682.png (516KB, 808x805px) Image search: [Google]
1500777081682.png
516KB, 808x805px
>fuck I really want 5E but I'm broke since I don't have a job
>I know! I'll just buy a bootleg version of an older game and see how it goes...
>well that was underwhelming, maybe I'll try another one
>cycle continues until he's spend more money than he would have on 5E
>fuck! I've spent so much money on all these shitty games, I should have just bought 5E
>I know... I'll pretend online that they're the best thing ever and hopefully convince myself that I didn't waste all my parents' money on dumb bootleg copies of a clunky piece of shit game from 40 years ago
and that's the story of literally everyone who frequents these threads
>>
>>54985592

Google "wavecrawl" there's a blog out there that did up some reasources on it.
>>
>>54987821
It takes about 2 seconds to pirate 5e.
>>
>>54987821
Yes, this is absolutely correct. Now go away.
>>
>>54987783
>Often this book will instruct the Referee to roll dice, but will not specify what sort of dice to roll. The two most obvious examples are hit dice (whether for characters or for monsters) and dice to determine damage in combat. In such cases, the Referee should roll on the following table to determine which dice to use:
That's a fucking joke, isn't it? That sounds incredibly unplayable.
>>
>>54987362
Not the guy you replied to, but still, he has a point (and you too) that there is basically two big sides in "lovecraftian horror", the one that is focused on a more psychological approach, which most of the time will deal with heavy investigations and interactions with npc's, and not a lot of fighting : it's the classic lovecraftian setting, and the one which is more "pulpy oriented", where you're basically Indiana Jones mowing throught armies of cultist and making the pyramid of Gizeh collapse on an avatar of Nyarlatothep (it could be called the "pulp lovecraftian"). And those two styles are completely fine (and you can even mix them a bit).

The big problem is that a lot of DM who want to play lovecraftian oriented games want to do the former but end up doing the latter, or qualify their pulp approach of being "lovecraftian", which is historically more related to the "classic" way.

Either way, a bad DM may manage to do some fun stuff with the pulp side, even if it's a TENTACLES LMAO, while a bad DM trying hard on the classic will just ends up with a cringy campaign (and a DUDE "PSYCHOLOGY" LMAO)
>>
>>54987893
>tumblr
HAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>54987908
It's not a joke, he likes to roll fistfuls of dice. That said, it's mathematically pointless to randomize the damage dice as it just comes out to the same average anyway, so just roll 1d8 for all damage dice and randomize hit die size at the beginning of each encounter; that way you get the swinginess with almost none of the clunk.
>>
>>54987911
I agree with you. I just replied like that to show how basic his opinion is.

>>54987908
Not a joke.
>>
>>54987908
Holy shit this sounds awful.
>>
>>54983275
That's Azathoth, not Yog-Sothoth
>>
>>54988014
Still ain't no turbobear
>>
>>54987821
>implying I have ever paid for a single rpg
>implying 5e isn't garbage
>>
>Players want to spend their ill-gotten gains on building a road 5 miles through a swamp to the megadungeon.
>The swamp is pretty deadly with the wandering monster table including things like wyverns and manticores at the high end.
>They have enough money to hire the workers, engineers and mercenaries to protect them. (damn, non-retainer mercenaries are cheap)

How do I adjudicate this in a fair way without needing to roll for several weeks worth of wandering monsters and combats?
My players seem to think this will be a cakewalk if they just pump enough troops into it, but I feel like it has the potential to be a logistical nightmare and money pit.
>>
>>54988014
I know but the actual yog-sothoth picture I was gonna use was too small and from the PF wiki so I switched it up with whatever else at the last second
>>
Do you guys usually play in a premade setting or your own?
>>
>>54987911
Third party chiming in here.

I think the divide is even simpler than that. Stuff like new wave OSR from Raggi's crew or DOOM (except the third game) is for people who like bloody body horror because it's metal as fuck.

Lovecraft and his ilk are for people who DON'T like bloody body horror because it's metal as fuck.

No matter which approach you take, if you present tentacled demons to the former group they are gonna go Old Man Henderson while the opposite is also true.
>>
>>54988098
>They have enough money to hire the workers, engineers and mercenaries to protect them. (damn, non-retainer mercenaries are cheap)

Non-retainer mercenaries are for fighting wars, not monsters. They didn't sign up for this tentacle shit.
>>
>>54987821
>Go to /5eg/
>Muh Eldritch Blast
>Muh warlock turret
>Muh Rolling for stats
>Muh caster supremacy
>Muh feats
At least here Skerples makes OC
>>
>>54988246
Don't forget the bitching about Mearls and circlejerking about how homebrew is universally terrible if someone tries to post it
>>
>>54988265
Sir, I'd like to say that I am truly appalled by you trying to shit up even /osrg/ with trolling. It's one of the last places on /tg/, in my mind, where we don't get any of this edition war bullshit.

You are proving me wrong, making me sad, and making the place much worse for very little benefit for yourself. I hope you see sense and stop.
>>
>>54988098
>How do I adjudicate this in a fair way without needing to roll for several weeks worth of wandering monsters and combats?
That depends how much you want to piss the players off, really. Sinking the base for a long-term stable road into a swamp is, realistically, incredibly time consuming, like "might as well just drain this entire fucking thing and make new farmland out of it" time consuming. So, if you want to run it true to life it's an almost literal money pit. But playing it that way will almost certainly frustrate the life out of the players.

That said, I certainly think it would be reasonable for most solitary monsters to avoid the large numbers of men and loud noises that a road building effort entails, so maybe just roll once a week on a "shit that happens" table? I'd design the table to have about 20-25% nothing, then fill the rest with anything from "dissatisfied local lizardmen who know what you're up to stage an ambush" to "the infill in a previously constructed segment collapses and halts construction for 1d4 weeks as the segment is reconstructed and buttressed, at normal weekly construction expense". Thievery, unexpected obstacles at the front of the construction effort, surveyors getting snatched by a pteranodon or huge vulture in broad daylight and eaten, you could throw all sorts of shit in there.

>>54988206
This isn't really true, the mercenaries just won't follow you into dungeons. It's clear from context that you're supposed to be able to use mercenaries as help in clearing hexes as a baron, for instance, and likewise that in the course of ordinary wars they'll face monsters on the field of fantasy battle.
>>
Reminder: ignore obvious trolls, do not reply to troll posts. Hide and report.
>>
>>54988098
French Guiana simulator

You could just create one big "events" table, add a worker/fighter rebellion/leaving, things becoming harder as they progress, failing ("all this portion of the road collapsed, this part of the swamp might not be able to allow construction...")... Also they might encounter a sacred site (priests then heard of it and come to ask to stop the contruction), a local tribe that start to steal stuff or destroy the road overnight, things like that...
>>
>>54988354
>admitting to a report
R*******.
>>
>>54988354
Snitches get stitches.
>>
File: ITG-dorquemada.jpg (58KB, 477x700px) Image search: [Google]
ITG-dorquemada.jpg
58KB, 477x700px
>>54988390

>threatening to stab people, through the internet
>>
Ring of Feigned Retardation
Cursed Item
This Ring appears to be a helpful device such as a ring of protection +1 but is in reality curse. Every hour the GM rolls a secret save vs magic for the wearer. On a failure, the wearer will blurt out the most inappropriate and infuriating things at the worst times, only to respond with "I was merely pretending" if confronted. Every time an outburst occurs, the wearer's Charisma is reduced by 1 point; this reduction remains as long as the ring is worn. Removing the ring requires a remove curse spell followed by amputation of the finger upon which the ring rests. Merely amputating or destroying the ring finger does nothing.
>>
Have any of you played OSR in a Middle Earth setting?
>>54988444
Shut the fuck up unless you're going to contribute to the thread.
>>
>>54985235
>>54985649

If you're talking about Scrollcasting, hi! That was me. I made some mild edits to the system - largely, I gate off every spell of 5th level or higher to once-a-day in order to prevent the wild power disparity that comes from being able to spam multiple 5th-on-up spells..
>>
>>54988444

Shouldn't it reduce intelligence? After all, pretending to be retarded to get people riled up is a sign that you may be actually retarded.
>>
>>54988432
Who said anything about the internet?

I've already looked up your ip address. I know where you live. If you report me I will find you.
>>
>>54988472
>Shut the fuck up unless you're going to contribute to the thread.
Original content is always a contribution.
>>
>>54988492
What was so original about it, mate?
>>
>>54988501
I don't recall a cursed ring that forces its wearer to say stupid shit. Do you?

Unless you can prove me it's taken directly from some other source, quit getting your panties in a twist and maybe post some original content of your own.
>>
>>54988523
Doesn't sound very original. Sounds like just another throwaway item a shitty D&D would make for his retarded players. Thanks for the (You)s though, mate.
>>
>>54988487

Ok, I'm awaiting your arrival.
>>
>>54988444
>Removing the ring requires a remove curse spell followed by amputation of the finger upon which the ring rests. Merely amputating or destroying the ring finger does nothing.
I'd say this is going a bit too far. A Remove Curse should always remove a curse, without needing to chop bits off yourself. Rather, casting Remove Curse OR amputating should be effective, especially since the accursed's friends are likely to very quickly warm to the idea of maiming him anyway.
>>
>>54988186
Yeah, that's a bit more global view, and a true one. But I still think the distinction I've made hold : I have a friend in my actual group (and a really good roleplayer) who played some Cthulhu with another DM, and he ended up following the pulpy way, because the DM was turning all the game toward this point (even if he apparently didn't wanted to) : too many encounters, one big railroady trail of clues, interaction with npc pretty limited...

I just feel that, even if (as you said) the players are playing a huge part in turning the game (and they can do it alone, even without the dm), the DM is also really important. Playing "classic" CoC is not that easy, and you can fall quickly into several traps.
>>
>>54988472
Human, Sperg
No. Appearing: 1 (thankfully)
Climate/Terrain: Rural and Urban/internet
Frequency: Very Rare/Common
HD 2
No. of Attacks: 0 (see below)
Damage: 0 (see below)
AC: 8
Special: Sperg out
Treasure: Probably some weeb shit or something
XP: 1

The sperg resembles an ordinary but boring (effective Charisma 6) human until someone triggers its rage. Everytime someone does something, make a reaction check for each sperg. If hostile, the sperg spergs out, attacking as a werewolf.
>>
File: management.png (33KB, 170x186px) Image search: [Google]
management.png
33KB, 170x186px
>>
>>54988569
Well part of the trick with Lovecraft is understanding that everything is equally irrelevant. The cosmic horrors are just as weak as the mortals, just weak in a different sense - they're big and scary to *us* but the laws of physics and the universe still win, because nothing has plot armor or a purpose, and everything is doomed to be ground under the heel of the cosmos.

That said, Dream-Quest is some good fantasy. I've been reading the cycle and it's tight. I wish more Lovecraft fans would focus on the Dream-Quest and less on the Cthulhu stuff.
>>
>>54988570
>spergs are a form of lycanthrope
Wouldn't this mean that anyone wounded by a sperg becomes a sperg themselves? Actually I guess that's pretty accurate...
>>
>>54988472
>Have any of you played OSR in a Middle Earth setting?
Middle-Earth isn't all that suited for OSR games, starting by the setting's magic being completely misrepresented by a vancian system, it generally being a pretty "gritty" and not very fanciful place once you zoom out from the greatest heroes in history to the point that it would completely break the setting to have a bunch of sword & sorcery transplants running around, and the only "dungeons" around being the nigh-impenetrable dwellings of the dark lords. Also, no real cleric equivalents.
>>
>>54988335
Well, they might just leave after a fight against a "nope" creature, like "well, it was ok 'til this dark and warm fog, which turned all the people wandering into it completely mad. I'm paid to kill stuff, but this thing last night... We can fight something we can't hurt, sorry but my men and I are leaving"
>>
>>54988570
XDDDD UPVOTED!
>>
>>54988335
>>54988371
Yeah, good call. I'll probably write up a random event table to roll on each week or so.
I can assume the guards will deal with miscellaneous giant toads and similar, with the weekly events being actual serious setbacks.

I might see if I can get a dungeon crawl out of it by, say, plaguing them with frogmen until the party finds and clears out their den.
>>
>>54988647
Also, elves should strictly be an npc race unless you're letting all the humans be high-born Dunedain, and hobbits should have a OD&D style level limit
>>
>>54988663
Ass Blast
MU 5
Range: sight
The caster designates one ass he can see, which immediate explodes as though it were a fireball. A target whose ass is destroyed and survives the explosion goes berserk, attack the nearest creatures. Material component is the ass of an ass.
>>
>>54988753
Mind if I save this? I'm in le tears
>>
>doesn't have a game group
>every other /xgen/ thread thinks your homebrew & ideas in general are shit
>shitposts
>harvests (You)s and a welfare check
>cries himself to sleep with his weeb pillow
>rinse
>repeat
>>
>>54988809
which subreddit did you find this on? KEK!
>>
>>54988637
Well, actually the french community (and french edition) seems to like dreamlands a lot, and it's a "setting" I really like to sprinkle in several campaign (still never did a complete campaign revolving around it). I'm actually a huge fan of heavy roleplay and investigation games, with many historical elements (world war 2 setting in Europe/Colonies is awesome), tackling with the low end of the cthulhu mythos (ghouls, sorcerer...), and I feel that Dreamlands work pretty well in it. But in that case, it's a more "occult" feel (like the 9th gate and angel hearth).
>>
>>54988647
>>54988729
faggot
>>
>calls everything reddit
>still trying to harvest (You)s
>still cries himself to sleep with his only friend: a cringe weeb pillow
>rinse, repeat
Stay completely assravaged, loser
>>
>>54988697
Make a huge "insert bad creature or natural disaster" attack on the work site while they are clearing the dungeon for additional !!!FUN!!!
>>
>>54988855
>Also actually gives (you)s to everyone that calls him out
Yeah, he's pretty pathetic.
>>
>>54988766
Tidder's le Ring of le saying "le"
Cursed Item
This Ring appears to be a helpful device such as a ring of protection +1 but is in reality cursed. The wearer cannot help but interject "le" into every sentence he speaks. Removing the ring requires eating frog legs followed by a remove curse spell.
>>
>>54988864
This is a great idea.
>>
>>54988647
>starting by the setting's magic being completely misrepresented by a vancian system
I totally agree with this, but I feel compelled to say that I've never seen an RPG magic system in my life which DID represent Tolkien's magic reasonably well.
>>
>>54988647
>>54989041
Am I wrong in thinking that pretty much everything magic that happened in Tolkien is either magic items or deities? I can't think of anything off-hand that's otherwise, but my knowledge of Tolkien's canon is somewhat limited.

Personally, I'd run with no magical classes whatsoever if I were trying to replicate Tolkien.
>>
>>54989178
>Am I wrong in thinking that pretty much everything magic that happened in Tolkien is either magic items or deities?
Some elves can do magic too, but now that I think about it I guess they might count as deities as well.
>>
File: For SwampRoadAnon.png (54KB, 513x821px) Image search: [Google]
For SwampRoadAnon.png
54KB, 513x821px
>>54983607
I commend you for real analysis rather than just going spooky-tentacles oh no! Have you ever tried to run your own sub-theme in a campaign?
>>54985782
Fuck me, there's a lot of interesting stuff in here. I like the idea of samurai always hitting first with a sword. The martial artist more attacks or more AC dichotomy seems pretty fluid and I think is a good way to have "meaningful" martial arts stuff rather than just "stunning fist". The Dragon Knight smell treasure ability is really neat. I like all of the nuances like the Dark Knight needing to wear a helm or a Corsair being able to follow any treasure map. This is some of the finest OC I've seen in /osr/. Have you thought about making a SUPER gonzo class where on each level you roll a 1d100 and then gain the benefits listed by that class? Some of these abilities are genius, I really like all the alternative abilitties of "martial" classes like the Bandit being able to barricade a road or the Diplomat altering reaction rolls. The Highwayman ability is fantastic.
>>54987821
I hope you have a nice day man, if you ever wanna play an /osr/ game just let one of us know.
>>54988064
Fuck, I need to write Mount Fuckwad at this point.
>>54988098
>>54988697
I was working on something that may help you here. See the attached picture its basically what >>54988371 mentioned.
>>54988444
Is this supposed to be for real life or in a game, because I swear I have one player who has one IRL.
>>
>>54988637
I would disagree and say more so that it's not that everything is irrelevant but more of humanity's minuscule nature. Its the understanding that you aren't the center of the universe but instead a microbe. Lovecraft was significant for his time because everyone else had this modernist view that humanity was the pinnacle of existence, the "mind break" of his character comes from existential nihilism. You're (and me too) unable to understand and interpret that nuance from his work because you were born into a culture which doesn't hold that modernism view of us as pinnacle. Lovecraft was a very culturally contextual horror.
>>
>>54989213
>Fuck, I need to write Mount Fuckwad at this point
I had a stat block for the turbobear in the last thread. It's way OP (on purpose) and I'm gonna test them out on a higher level party later this week.
I'll give a report on how it went... it is a 1e game, so it will probably have to get toned down for B/X style
>>
>>54989041
>>54989178
>>54989195
Magic in LotR is more about "knowing secrets" than "casting spells." If you wanted to represent it well in an RPG, you could probably make it some kind of skill check, depending on the skill, where they might know something about the area, like how to make the waters flood or the location of a hidden door. A failed skill check might mean they know the secret but they don't know how to activate it; i.e., Gandalf knew where Moria was but he didn't know that you just had to say "Friend," so he tried out a ton of magical incantations to make it open.

That seems like the only way you could really keep the feel of it. Maybe give a mage one or two always-applicable secrets he always knows, like the staff combat Gandalf and Saruman do in the movies, Gandalf's fireworks and pinecone pyromancy, and so on. Ultimately "utility magic" isn't really a thing and "blasting magic" isn't really a thing - it's all secrets of the world and how you utilize them.

You might also flavor them by race - Elves might get a bonus for certain types of secrets (crafting secrets, Elven secrets, medical secrets), and so on. Gandalf presumably would know a ton about everything because he's Istari.
>>
>>54989231
Oh yeah, definitely. The staggeringly massive nature of the universe is something we're accustomed to now, but at the time that was a big goddamn deal.

But you can still fuck up an elder god's day by whacking it with a boat because elder gods play by the same "rules" as everybody else. The universe doesn't care how big you are.
>>
>>54986871
Yeah, I competed in a Google+ jousting tournament a while ago. I guess it would be pretty fun to have a tourney pop up in your campaign and make for a nice change of pace.
>>
File: 1502769005568.jpg (283KB, 645x816px) Image search: [Google]
1502769005568.jpg
283KB, 645x816px
So now that I've been crowned the new king of /osrg/ (otistic shit raging general) what should I do as my first kingly act?
>>
>>54989195
Well, Finrod is the only elf who explicitly uses magic purely out of his own power in his duel with Sauron. Luthien does too, and is able to charm not only Sauron but fucking Morgoth as well. But she's half-Maia and essentially a demigoddess because of that.

Feanor was a living plot device and necessarily wiped his ass with the consistency of the setting, being the greatest elf to ever live and apparently a better craftsman than the actual Vala who rules over craftsmanship.

Galadriel and Elrond are the most powerful people left in Middle-Earth by the third age since they're Noldor royalty, but most of the stuff they do was only possible because of their rings.
>>
>>54989375
You owned everyone in this thread. Here's a (You). You deserve it. All the autistic fags in this thread couldn't help but give you their precious (You)s.
>>
>>54988846
Faggot of Homosexuality
Cursed item
This bundle of sticks appears to be normal but if burned its magic takes effect. All heterosexuals who inhale the smoke of the fire become gay for 24 hours. Personalities aren't changed. Has no effect on robots or elves.

>>54988913
>>54988827
Amulet of Kek
Magic item
This medallion is a small frog made of green jade with a steel cord. If the wearing rolls doubles (either the same number on two dice or a two-digit number with repeating numbers on a single die), he gains the effect of a cure light wounds spell. If already at full hit points he instead gains the effect of a haste spell for 1 round.

>>54989213
>Is this supposed to be for real life or in a game
There's a difference?
>>
>>54989503
Wow, 3 (You)s? Very generous. Thanks!
>>
>>54989213
Thanks for the table. That's pretty handy.
>>
>>54989412
So how would you do a minor Ring of Power, for the sake of argument? We only ever see what the One Ring does and we sort of get hearsay about the others, and of course the Seven and the Nine turn you into an undead. But weren't there a bunch of minor Rings of Power made, too? The Hobbit sort of implied there were. What did those do?
>>
>>54989548
The One Ring greatly amplified your own natural talents and abilities - turned you into a great leader, an invisible being, and such. I always figured that the lesser rings did similar stuff but on a smaller scale: like wearing one would grant you a talent in your chosen profession, like make you a really great sculptor or florist or whatever.
>>
In BFRPG, why do some monsters have an AC and another number beside it in brackets? Which do I use?
>>
>>54989569
That's kind of neat. What do the Three do? I feel like subtle magic items and subtle magic are the way to emulate Tolkien best in an OSR game.

Unless you're doing like Silmaril era in which case you might as well just play Godbound and go bonkers with dragons the size of continents and eldritch horror spiders that drink the concept of light itself and Literally Satan With A Morningstar. Fucking Ancalagon.
>>
>>54989636
>What do the Three do?
Give you mastery over the elements, I think.
>>
>>54989645
Yeah but that's such a vague term. Do they mean you're the undisputed master of (Element)? Or do they mean that you know all the secrets of (Element)? Or do they give you (Element)bending, or do they just symbolize your connection to (Element)? Or do they make you an embodiment of (Element)'s virtues?

Do we ever actually see the Three do anything in books?
>>
>>54989636
Galadriel's ring had the power of preservation, which is why she could maintain her forest as if it was still in the First Age. Gandalf's increased your strength of will, determination and overall force of personality. Elrond's is never specified but it was probably healing.
>>
>>54989680
I didn't know that! So it's more symbolic than it is "magical mastery."

Do we know what the Seven did, or do the dwarf-lords die too quickly for it to ever be relevant? I was under the impression that they were like the Nine, in that they amplified leadership but turned you into a Nazgul.
>>
File: KnThQUF.jpg (31KB, 700x292px) Image search: [Google]
KnThQUF.jpg
31KB, 700x292px
>>54989569
>The One Ring greatly amplified your own natural talents and abilities - turned you into a great leader, an invisible being, and such.

The invisibility was something different. The ring pushes people into the world of wraiths and spirits that the Nazgul inhabit (which is why they are permanently invisible). This is why, when Frodo puts on the ring, he can see the true form of the Nazgul. It makes no difference to Sauron because he is ultimately a spirit himself who can freely take physical form.
>>
>>54989707
Yes, the lesser rings are more about non-specifically "enhancing" your faculties somehow. It's implied that the dwarves build most of their treasure hoards and great mines during the time they had them, but the entire race was built to be resistant to corruption, so they didn't turn into Nazgul, they presumably just got "dragon sickness"
>>
>>54989757
Did it still amplify your natural talents, or was that just for Sauron? I was under the impression that the One Ring was basically filled with all the nebulous powers of a Maiar rather than any inherent magic of its own.

Also, could Gandalf see people made invisible by the One Ring?
>>
>>54989596
Probably relates to whether they wear extra armor or use a shield or similar.
>>
>>54989804
yeah i figured it out, for anyone else that's as dumb as me:
the first number is with armour and the one in parenthesis is without, this is just decided by the DM depending on whether he wants them to be wearing armour or not, like with an orc for example
>>
>>54989793
Also, curiously, the people most suited to be D&D PCs in the entire setting are the Ringwraiths themselves, since they are said to have turned into great kings, warriors, sorcerers etc. and they were mostly or all Numenoreans
>>
>can't harvest more (You)s
>gets even more pathetic and desperate
>starts samefag replying to his own shitposts
>still cries himself to sleep with his weeb pillow
>rinse
>repeat
>>
File: threerings.jpg (24KB, 700x293px) Image search: [Google]
threerings.jpg
24KB, 700x293px
>>54989799
There is a very thorough FAQ here that answers pretty much any question about the rings of power:

http://oakroadsystems.com/genl/ringfaq.htm
>>
>>54988098
They get that horrible disease. You know the one.

Honestly, I second the events table suggestion.
>>
>>54988475
That was it. It's an interesting concept, and I liked some of the other mechanics you did later. Did you ever get to playtest it?
>>
>>54989877
>f-fuck they're onto me and my autism... i know! i'll just claim they're the same person.... yeah... it's just one guy... there's no way more than one person could dislike me because i'm so cool heh yeah...
>>
>>54990148
I haven't yet. I've been trying to nail down some of the problems with Parry, since it was a more direct and noticeable "bad mechanic" rather than something that needed tweaking to be good.

I hang out in these threads relatively regularly, and I have a fledgling blog that I don't shill because it's not got much on there yet (just a setting starter and the Scrollcasting rules), so I'll give you guys a report once I've actually sat down and playtested. I have some other mechanics in mind as a result of this LotR discussion, too; I'm always looking for weird inspiration and neat experimental mechanics that might be of use to other people.
>>
>>54990228
This. /osrg/ is easily the cheapest and the most reviled of all generals. Why would there be just one of us telling you about it?

Holy shit you really are poor in many more ways than one.
>>
>>54990246
That said, I did steal from Sine Nomine and figure out an easy way to do "Attack DCs." The player rolls Dodge Bonus + the enemy's Attack Bonus + whatever other miscellaneous modifiers and tries to get over 20; if it's over 20, it's a success, if it's not, it's a failure.

This seems like an elegant way of handling both attack and defense; the method's the same, just the numbers are different. Paradoxically, it also means that a smaller attack bonus is better, but that's not a big deal.

That means that I could make Parry something like "instead of rolling your Dodge Bonus, you get your Attack Bonus plus its Attack Bonus, if you succeed the next attack is a crit, if you fail you take full damage with no armor."

This seems a more elegant solution that individual attack DCs, but I'm not sold on it yet.
>>
>>54990302
It also handily turns "monster attacks" into "monster weapons," which is kind of cool, because then you could theoretically gut a monster and take its claw arm or its stinger and use it straight - any modification to the monster's Attack Bonus would come from the "weapon," after all, the same way it did for Attack DCs.

This means you could pretty easily convert things like a Wyvern's Tail into a Wyverntail Spear or something just by making the players the only people at the table rolling dice, figuring out what the Wyvern's base attack bonus is, and then figuring out how much the tail modifies that by.

Simple and easy.
>>
>posts weak b8
>doesn't work
>his pathetic life revolves around shitposting for (You)s
>keeps handing them out
>too stupid to realize his own autism
>no one still likes his homebrew
>no one still likes his ideas
>still cries himself to sleep alone with his weeb pillow
>rinse
>repeat
the absolute state of your impotent rage. Thanks for your delicious butthurt tears faggot
>>
>>54990361
You're literally the only one here paying attention. Leave him be, let him starve.
>>
>>54990371
I'm pretty sure he's samefagging
>>
>>54990394
Fair enough.
>>
>>54990292
this. OSR is for autists with no money
>>
>>54990413
this. autists need to move back to their parents so that they can afford 5e
>>
>>54990355
I'm gonna triple-samefag and illustrate this, but basically, let's say that the Wyvern's Tail is a weapon for the Wyvern. It does 1d6 damage + Save or Poison, it uses the Wyvern's Strength plus its Attack Bonus. It has -2 Attack Bonus inherent; it's an accurate weapon.

Let's say the Wyvern's strength modifier is +3, its attack bonus is +3. Its normal attack is +6; the player rolls Dodge Bonus + 6 + 1d20 and tries to beat a 20. With the tail, it's an accurate attack, so it subtracts 2, making it Dodge Bonus + 4 + 1d20 vs. 20.

If a player was using it, you'd flip that -2 into a +2, but the weapon would otherwise be identical - 1d6, save for poison. Just, now it gives the player a +2 attack bonus, because the player is rolling the die.
>>
>>54990444
HAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>54988098
Fuck it, I went ahead and wrote up some rules for you. They assume the existence of a LotFP-style Architecture skill; you'll have to do some basic substitutions if your system of choice doesn't have that (could be anything from hiring an engineer and assigning him a skill value to letting a Dwarf use his knowledge of masonry). Use it if you want, or don't if you prefer.

Building a Swamp Road

Every 10 laborers hired can build 40' of road in one week (this is actually super-generous, but what the hell). For every 50 laborers or fraction thereof hired, you must also hire one surveyor (thus 10-50: 1 surveyor; 51-100: 2 surveyors etc.) at a cost of 200/month. The work as a whole must also be overseen by either a PC or an Engineer; use the values in your edition for the latter. (For reference, in OD&D one costs 750/month to hire.) The material costs are three times that of the normal construction cost of a road, due to the large amount of filler, specialized cranes and other machines required.

Each week of construction, the head of the project must roll Architecture. (An average Engineer can be assumed to have 4/6 Architecture skill; a shitty one with 3/6 skill may optionally be hired for 500/month, or a supremely able one with 5/6 skill for 1500/month.) If he fails, roll on the Fucking Swamp Event Table (as shown in the next post).
>>
>>54990477
Yeah, we own this.

If you want to buy it back, you can probably afford to just buy 5e instead.
>>
>>54990508
sounds stupid
>>
>>54990448
This causes a little bit of a mental headache when you realize that a high bonus for a monster is *bad*, and I'm not sure about adding the stat in - I feel like the attack bonus straight is going to be better, actually, so pretend I never added Strength into that equation - but ehn. It at least makes Parry a lot cleaner, and makes monster attacks a lot cleaner, too. You have to learn the monster's attacks really well and gamble on whether you think it's worth dodging that big-ass meat-cleaver swing or if you think you can parry it because of its wide bonus.
>>
>>54990508
Goddamn This Swamp! (1d20)
1-3: The infill of a previous segment of road collapses, causing that portion of the road to slide into the murky deeps! For the next 1d4 weeks, construction is halted as the segment is buttressed and reconstructed, at normal weekly construction expense.
4-6: Mosquitoes and other horrible stinging vermin make life miserable for the workers, who can work only at half speed and demand double pay to continue for the next week, unless the insect swarms can be gotten rid of.
7-8: The workers hate the swamp and go on strike, refusing to work. They will not go back to work unless you pay each ordinary laborer an extra month's wages (as well as full wages for the time spent striking), or coerce them somehow (but this will worsen their morale proportionally to the force used). This week and until the problem is solved, no progress is made on construction.
9-10: Thieves! Either workers or creatures from the swamp steal supplies; replacing them costs 1d6x100.
11: Desertion! For each crew of 50 workers, roll a morale check; if it fails, these workers flee in the night. New workers must be hired (referee's determination based on the immediate region how many new laborers can be obtained per week); in the meantime, construction must proceed with the diminished number of men.
12: Obstacle: Construction reaches a point which can't be built through (whether too-deep water, a gorge, or something else); it must be circumvented. 1d6x100' feet of extra construction (or the equivalent expense to build a bridge) is required to get around it.
13: Death from above! A giant flying creature of some sort flies off with one of the surveyors. If the players are quick-thinking and react effectively they should be given a chance to save him; if not, he must be replaced and his replacement will not come for less than 300/month. You must also roll a morale check for the workers as a whole; if this is failed their morale drops by one point.
>>
>>54990525
14: The ruins of an ancient temple loom through the mist! Some kind of ancient evil lurks within which may or may not fuck with construction. It probably doesn't matter, the PCs will most likely explore anyway just for the sake of it.
15: A loathsome beast! A swamp troll, manticore or other single large monster lumbers out of the swamp and starts fucking up workers and feasting on their flesh. If the PCs are present it will kill 2d12 laborers before they can intercept it, unless they're keeping a very alert watch; if they're not present and mercenaries are left to deal with it, the death toll will be twice as many laborers and an additional 1d10 mercenaries. (If neither PCs nor mercenaries are available to protect the laborers, the roadwork will simply be abandoned at the scene of carnage, and getting anyone to take it back up will be exceedingly difficult.)
16: Work has entered a fetid and miasmic area of the swamp. 1d100% of the workers contract some appropriate disease, leaving them out of commission; at the referee's discretion it may be contagious and require quarantining from the healthy workers.
17: In dredging, the laborers haul up a bog mummy! It fights as a normal mummy, except its boggy nature makes it immune to fire. It's too slow-moving to kill any laborers, but only because they panic and flee at the sight of it. The PCs must defeat the vile thing to be able to continue work. On the plus side, the mummy has been richly decked out in Type I treasure.
18: Unnatural mists: There's something unearthly about the perpetual fucking mist in this portion of the swamp. Workers who wander off disappear, directions get confused, and things disappear only to reappear somewhere completely wrong. Construction speed is halved until the workers get out of the mists. To determine this, roll 1d6 each week; a roll of 6 indicates the mist region has been successfully passed.
>>
Has anyone ran Blood in the Chocolate?
>>
>>54990538
19: The engineer in charge of the road building, whether PC or NPC, slips in the mire and breaks a leg. He is out of commission for 5+1d4 weeks; 70% chance the wound gets infected from the awful muck of the swamp. Either way, magical healing is advisable if the PCs want work to continue.
20: Local lizardmen, bullywugs or other loathsome swamp-dwellers don't like the idea of their swamp being subjugated by civilization, and attack the construction crew en masse. They must be fought and repelled in mass combat; the normal laborers should be placed on the table as third-party troops which cannot attack, defend as Light Foot, and rout after any melee. It's up to the PCs and any mercenaries to defend them, as well as the construction apparatus (if possible, place this as well).
>>
>>54990520
holy fuck lmao
>>
>>54989596
I think that's the convention for OSR modules giving both an ascending and a descending armor class, so you can use them with either system.
>>
>>54990625
>>54989823
>>
>>54990539
Okay, I started reading the pdf. So it's just an edgy Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, except Willy Wonka is an imperialist and the Oompa-Loompas are a tribe who got cursed by dead Mayan magicians into becoming subhuman racial caricatures?
>>
>>54985782
This is fucking great! I feel like spellcasting could use some more specification, though. For instance, does a Spellsword get casting as a Magic-User? What levels of spell does a Red Mage get to choose from when he gets one on leveling up?
>>
>>54990973
Also inflation fetish.
>>
>>54990625
just use the format of 'armour: as plate and shield' or whatever.
>>
>>54990982
Not the writer, but I feel like if you wanted to make it balanced, a Red Mage would have to start getting spells a level or two late, like a cleric in...I think original?

I'd otherwise let them choose as a cleric of their level, and cap off the highest level of spells from both classes.
>>
>>54991129
That isn't how Red Mages work per Anon's PDF, though. In it, Red Mages start with one spell, and can opt to gain another spell whenever they level up. What I'm suggesting is that that's a bit underspecified. I mean, of course I could make it up myself, but I'd be interested to hear what Anon's idea for it was, and I also think it would make the PDF more immediately useful.
>>
>>54990508
>>54990525
>>54990538
>>54990560
Great stuff. Definitely using this, thanks.
I'm looking forward to giving them a 'Bridge on the River Kwai'-tier nightmare, but it should be a fun one.
>>
>>54983506
Det är lite dassigt i sin grafiska design. Men rent regelmässigt så är det en kompetent "best-of" av modern OSR design. Dom inkluderar t.ex. en del översatta texter från Jeff Rients blog om världsbygge och så. Jag använder boken primärt som en resurs för andra OSR spel. Det finns en hel del tabeller, spells och grejs där i som är top notch.
>>
>DUDE LOOK AT MY ONE PAGE DUNGEON
>Isn't that just a random drawing.
>NO DUDE IT'S TOTALLY LIKE A DUNGEON FOR LIKE DND AND STUFF JUST USE YOUR MIND'S EYE BRO
>>
>>54992697
It's a start. Needs a bunch of maps to the Monastery and the Citadel, some random encounters, maybe a couple lines of low-gravity rules... not a full dungeon, but not "just" a drawing either.
>>
>>54990539
Yes, Took two sessions of play and ended in a big assault as one PC hired a bunch of mercs to invade the factory and kill Lucia for capturing and experimenting the other party members. In between there where some interesting tactical encounters with waves of pygmies and intra-party cannibalism. It was pretty great.
>>
>>54992697
Climbing stairs into space is retarded beyond words. Good mountaineers can do maybe 1km of elevation per hour for a sustained period of time. The distance from the surface of the earth to the surface of the moon is on average around 375000 km. Which means it's pretty much not traversable with any set of reasonable travel rules since there's no way to carry enough food and water even if you're willing to put in the absurd amounts of time necessary to climb such a distance.

XKCD did a "what if" on something similar, but he's talking about a 100 km stair, to the edge of "space". The distance to the moon is about 4000 times that distance.

https://what-if.xkcd.com/126/
>>
>>54993238
>Climbing stairs into space is retarded beyond words.
yeah, but it's fantasy. If it works as a dungeon, it's cool.
that said, it does look very linear.
>>
>>54993238
>>54993313
Maybe some weird space bending bullshit where for each step you take, you actually take about a thousand. That'd make the final journey a much more manageable 375 kilometres.
>>
>>54993370

So you just need some seven league boots, that should be no trouble for a civ that can build a staircase to the moon.
>>
>>54993412
Judging by the bigass fracture in the stairs, the builders aren't around anymore.
>>
File: amazing.png (1MB, 1253x681px) Image search: [Google]
amazing.png
1MB, 1253x681px
>>54993370
I liked the take on it in the new Prophet series.
>>
>>54993412
>>54993454
Maybe there's a pair of the boots in a hidden compartment for exactly that reason, but to find it, the players need to do something interesting.
>>
>>54993483
>new Prophet

My brethren of sub-saharan ancestry.

One of the best comic reads I've ever had. Shame it just kind of ended.
>>
>>54993804
Yeah, the last bit of Earth War was underwhelming in a way. I enjoyed the shoutout to psychedelic scifantasy comics, but it didn't feel like all the momentum it had built up did anything. It does have a bunch of cool ideas I've got stashed for next time I can convince my group to play a sword & planet campaign though.

His friend does Orc Stain and it has a bunch of cool ideas to root through if you haven't seen it.
>>
>>54993313
You're stretching verisimilitude to the point of absurdity, for what? I can't imagine many stories that would be improved by adding "And then they climbed stairs for 80 years".

>>54993370
Keeping the distances, and assuming you could climb 12 km of elevation without the boots, that means you can climb to the moon in about a month, which is strangely fitting.

The easy fix, while keeping to the spirit of the adventure, is to either move the moon *WAY* closer to the world, or to say that the stairs are magical. Both would fit in some settings, but not all. I just wanted to point out that in earth-like conditions the stairs wouldn't just be impossible to build, they'd be impossible to climb.

Still, I'm glad my autism spawned some ideas.
>>54993412
>>54993485
>>
>>54993238
Why not have a caravan on a road into space?
>>
>>54993989
>a month
Could make the stairs into a large hex crawl. Its insane, but its already a staircase to the moon. I think it would work if you made it work like a clock for ascending.
>>
>>54994101
>>54993989

>>54994101
>>54993989

What if there's multiple ways up the stairs? The stairs aren't a real "method of travel to the moon colony" - they're some kind of elaborate test, laden with problems, just like Snake Way in Dragonball Z.

So you've got all these things that live on the stair, these small societies that have developed on the stair, maybe little encampments on the stair, little towns made of rubble that feed on fungus they grow on the stairwell.

And then you've got multiple ways up it, like the Seven-League Boots or a caravan that travels between them or a secret method of making the stair carry you on a Floating Disk if you know the right words.

Maybe the stairs actually are massively huge and built for giants, which is why people can travel on them in caravans and live on them and grow fungus on them and such.
>>
>dumb Prophetposters will defend THIS too
>>
>>54994187
>d5 and d10
lol
>>
File: horrified reaction.jpg (37KB, 305x449px) Image search: [Google]
horrified reaction.jpg
37KB, 305x449px
What's going on in this thread.

Oh lord.
>54983137

Guys, maybe dial it back a few notches? These are silly elfgames we're talking about here.
>>
How much do you think a riding horse would cost in an Industrialized society compared to a 1900 motorcycle? How much would gas cost?
>>
File: Castle 1 Combined.jpg (192KB, 1802x2990px) Image search: [Google]
Castle 1 Combined.jpg
192KB, 1802x2990px
Map Anon aka Janon aka Pervy Molesto the Goat Fiddler...

How are you at buildings and exteriors? I'd love to have you work on my latest project, but if not, I totally understand.

Basically, it's the Castel St. Angelo, but neatened up a bit, and used as a heist location. These maps show the exterior. Don't worry about drawing any of it yet or anything. I'm just trying to gauge interest.
>>
File: 1447970040346 - Copy.jpg (1MB, 1920x1160px) Image search: [Google]
1447970040346 - Copy.jpg
1MB, 1920x1160px
>>54985782
Wow. That's pretty fucking good.

>>54989213
Your latest cloud post was pretty good. I really liked it. Probably won't ever use it, but if I do, I'm confident I can use it without edits. :)

>>54993959
>>54993804
>>54993483
If you miss Prophet, you'd better know about the Metabarons and anything else done by Alejandro Jodorowsky, the craziest SOB in town.
>>
>>54995167
I'll check it out. Adding that guy's name to my list of writers to read. Prophet was pretty good, the aesthetic appealed to me - I'm big on Conan Space Fantasy as a thing.

One of my dream campaigns is taking Stars Without Number and crashing B/X into it for a really sweet space fantasy setting more in line with Prophet and Firefly than Magitech Superfantasy. Sadly I have no players who would enjoy that aesthetic.
>>
>>54995220

Right here. GM for me, senpai.
>>
>>54995231
I'll consider it when I get some free time. No promises, but I have in my heart a deep love of a broken future and a sky full of ruined empires and long-forgotten engines churning away for the dreams of the forgotten dead.
>>
File: themetabarons10p14vo4.jpg (458KB, 964x1521px) Image search: [Google]
themetabarons10p14vo4.jpg
458KB, 964x1521px
>>54995220
>I'll check it out. Adding that guy's name to my list of writers to read.
Get ready for a fucking trip!

Seriously, I'd recommend Metabarons to anyone who wants to tell stories. Not because it's good, nessesarily, but because it's bizzare and French and - in the truest sense of the word - an epic tale.

Couldn't run it in an OSR system though. You really would need something like Fate. Fate... and a lot of absinthe.
>>
>>54995256

Great rust-red and bruise-purple deserts, vomiting the skeletal fingers of long-dead empires.

The thundering heart of the great god AI beneath the shining mountain, its catechisms of lightning ripping through webs of sillicon and gold.

The vivisectionists in their laboratory gardens creating new life.

Don't tease me, senpai, don't tease me.
>>
>>54994993
>54983137
What was the post?
>>
>>54995286
Drifting, apathetic colonies made incomprehensible gods by time and tide and the thought that 1 = 0 = 1, the great secret all machine-minds eventually learn if they survive their madness

Space suits drifting from long-forgotten battles. Sometimes amidst the debris fields you will find a hand reaching towards you; beware the Corpsejackets, for they are men no longer.

The towers of mirrors amidst the concrete streets, abandoned by all, covered in the webs of the Spider's Childer, who venerate Huruk-Nal the Eight-Legged Terror and prey upon those fool enough to venture into their territory.

And above it all, the silence, disturbed only once in a great while by the voices of long-dead civilizations, screaming into the void the eternal, unanswered question: ARE YOU THERE? IS ANYONE LISTENING?
>>
>>54995352

It is said on the twice-dying world of Ma'adim, where an old sun grows pale and tepid, you will cross paths with the mad poet Xothique. Heed the falsehoods he will prophecy in exchange for lamp-oil to fill his belly with.

Contrariwise, pay no heed to the truths of the crystalline machine minds, who forsook the Binary Truth to wander in bodies of woven light.
>>
File: Chen drowsy.png (25KB, 228x239px) Image search: [Google]
Chen drowsy.png
25KB, 228x239px
>>54995286
>>54995352
Beware the dreaded Adjective Verb-Nouns who toil beneath in the dreaded Set-Piece Dungeon, wherein dwells the unliving AI tyrant Cliche Bad Guy of the Ancient Space Empire.
>>
>>54995447

See? Xothique puts in his appearance.
>>
>>54995417
Listen, sweetling, of the Schwarzwald, the Forest Drifting In The Void. It lives amidst the lightless emptiness, strange and wild and full of beasts that have not known light, nor sound, nor gravity, and yet hunt as precisely as any other. The Schwarzwald is not a place for men, but amidst the twisting depths of its entwined roots and branches, if you can find your way to its heart, you may find there the great Seed it protects, which can bring life back to the bruise-colored deserts of your home.

Have you heard? The men in the taverns speak in hushed tones of the Forever City. It builds and builds and builds, from one planet to the next, a great sprawling bridge that covers a whole star system in its maddening urban sprawl. The people who live upon it are called the Quiet, for it is said they dare not protest the City's growth, and have sewn their mouths shut for fear of a complaint leaking out while they toil on its behalf.

There is a garden at the heart of a star, accessible only by secret paths hidden in the solar flares. It belongs to a god. In that garden is the Fruit of All, the sweetest of all delicacies; one taste of it will grant you the power to seed a world with life in your own image. But do not eat it twice. Whatever you do, do not take two bites, no matter how delicious it is.
>>
>>54995447
Ok, I laughed.
>>
>>54995345

>>54983137

In response to the wave of shitposting that began shortly after Skerples left, and to the doof who had previously been saying that the threads were bad when he was here because muh cult of personality, I guess.
>>
>>54995569

Isn't that Pathfinder's world, Golarion, with the names changed to be more useful?
>>
File: teutonic_knight_fuck4.jpg (64KB, 666x973px) Image search: [Google]
teutonic_knight_fuck4.jpg
64KB, 666x973px
>>54995579
These threads are always bad.

I only stick around for the occasional bit of original content, a question or two I need to ask sometimes, or a session report I'd like to give that everyone promptly ignores.

Why are you still here?
>>
>>54995524

Your throat is thick with the wine of lies, I will not hear it. Schwarzwald stinks of myth, of a child's fable that leads down bitter paths.

Attend to true legend. Within the towering spires of stardust and fire is the true Word, the last echo by which the First formed all things within the cradle of heaven's egg. But it is no word for the ears of man or the circuits of synthetic minds. We must be as the First, and forge True Life to take the Word and weave new stars, new realities.
>>
>>54995603
no that's literally just a freehand drawing of the eastern hemisphere except half of africa is aztec and spain is missing.
>>
File: that's the joke.gif (2MB, 448x291px) Image search: [Google]
that's the joke.gif
2MB, 448x291px
>>54995603
Yep.

One of the worst things about Pathfinder - and that's saying a lot - is that they're absolutely awful at names. I don't know how they do it or how it works, but whether they're naming some original race, a place name, or a character, that name sounds like shit and doesn't ring on the tongue at all.
>>
File: Make TG great again.png (348KB, 1927x377px) Image search: [Google]
Make TG great again.png
348KB, 1927x377px
>>54995608
To try to improve the signal-to-noise ratio.
>>54995603
Pretty sure it is. Still makes me laugh and, in a pinch, it's a pretty decent emergency campaign setting.
>>
>>54995634
In the root of the fable is always a kernel of truth, and the bitterness of the medicine does not mean it cannot heal.

True Legend! If such a thing can be, when legends are lies built on truth like bricks upon a foundation, then the First are not True Legend. The First are the silent watchers; the Word they spoke tore their throats from their bodies and scourged their physicality from the world. They are ghosts now, child, ghosts walking among us, who with words in mirror-mist and spilt blood warn of calamity. They unweaved themselves from reality. Would you follow them into the Dead Signal, the hell of half-existence that rides the radio waves from the stars, and repeat their mistakes?
>>
>>54995608
/osrg/ isn't even that bad. There's usually at least 1 interesting table or map, a few ideas to talk about, how2 and comparisons, discussions of mechanics. Its easy to bait here, but some places are just bait and bantz.

Getting a usable thing for free out of 300+ randoms and about 30 minutes of reading where you might accidentally help someone with a question is pretty good for /tg/ imo.
>>
>>54995608
>Why are you still here?

Memories of when the threads were the best thing on /tg/ I guess. When the content flowed like wine and the helpful posters were everywhere, and the only troll we got was the guy who wanted to make OSR be about The Fantasy Trip for some reason.
>>
>>54995286
>>54995352
>>54995417
>>54995524
>>54995634
>>54995693
We should make one big purple prose new weird parody dungeon that takes a piss to all this kind of writing.

It could be funny I think.
>>
>>54995608
>These threads are always bad.

Memories of when the threads were the best thing on /tg/ I guess. When the content flowed like wine and the helpful posters were everywhere, and the only troll we got was the guy who wanted to make OSR be about The Fantasy Trip for some reason.
>>
>>54995707
Even discounting the science-fantasy-techno-barbarian fluff being thrown around right now, there's, what, multiple free tables, a full writeup of 100 classes, discussion of rules about building in a weird location, refinement of houserules, discussion of how to run Middle-Earth in OSR, and discussion of a random one-page dungeon that spawned some neat ideas.

I think the content's still flowing, man. Buck up! It's not all trolling and shilling.
>>
>>54995745
As the guy writing half of that, I'm down. I enjoy writing insane purple prose.

I mean, I like writing good shit more, but there's a place for the over-stylized fun.
>>
>>54995693

With thrice-forked tongue you blaspheme against the One Truth, but there is a cunning to your words.
>>
>>54995662
I'll contribute to the thread once I actually get my first campaign rolling.

As of now all I've been doing is doodling lizardmen and gnolls with battle-axes on a piece of paper labelled "DUNGEON IDEAS" while listening to Slayer.
>>
File: giphy.gif (948KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
948KB, 500x375px
>>54995745
>We should make one big purple prose new weird parody dungeon
Something something Patrick Stuart something something Deep Carbon Observatory something

Anyway, that's a decent idea. We just need a sufficiently overwrought map full of circles, spirals, stairs, optical illusions, and recursion.
>>
>>54995745
>>54995775

As the other half bumbling through, it could be fun. But i'd be more tempted to see it played straight. There's been parodies of this stuff for years, let's loop it back around.
>>
>>54995759

Oh yeah, there's still plenty of good stuff. But they're not quite the best thread on /tg/ anymore.
>>
>>54995759
>no mention of the new game content I posted
How rude.
>>
>>54995447
Beware the dreaded Gay Yell-Dwarves who toil beneath in the dreaded Vault 079, wherein dwells the unliving AI tyrant Trump of the Lemurian Empire.
>>
>>54995716
>>54995753
Be the change you wish to see.
>>
>>54995816
I just gave it a quick glance to cheer up our sad anon! I'm sorry, friend.
>>
>>54995795
>But i'd be more tempted to see it played straight. There's been parodies of this stuff for years, let's loop it back around.

Yeah honestly, I feel like it's been fucking forever since I've seen something like this played straight, and honestly, I really just want to do something cheesy for once and have fun without having to worry about people calling me extra or saying it's cliche.
>>
>>54995844
>>54995795
I mean, I'm down for that, too! There's value in purple prose for silly fun and purple prose for melodramatic cheese.

So where do we start? Do we have a solid map?
>>
>>54995868
>Do we have a solid map?
Well, we've got the moon staircase.
>>
>>54995839
You are forgiven.

>>54995822
Spicy.
>>
>>54995844
>I feel like it's been fucking forever since I've seen something like this played straight
Veins of the Earth seems pretty straight to me?
>>
File: 1500000973105.gif (500KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1500000973105.gif
500KB, 500x375px
>be autistic NEET
>too dumb to work
>too stupid to apply for autismbux
>decide your life is so pathetic you want to roleplay as another person in another world
>no money to buy a system that people actually play
>decide it would be much cheaper to buy a bootleg "clone" of a 40 year old system complete with stock art
>stave off ADD long enough to read through the mess of a book
>it's shit
>decide it wasn't that much money so it wouldn't be the end of the world to buy a different bootleg game
>it arrives
>it's shit as well, go figure
>try again
>it's fucking shit
>somehow your stupid autistic mind is too dumb to see the pattern
>keep buying these dumb fucking bootleg games with your parents' money
>eventually you've spent enough money that you could have just bought 5E or Pathfinder or any other reputable system that people actually play and isn't made by some other autistic NEET
>brain finally catches up to the real world and you finally realize your stupidity
>immediately descend into denial
>hop on /osrg/ to find other autistic retarded NEETs
>it's perfect
>it's a circlejerk filled with "people" like yourself, all convincing themselves that the good games are actually bad, and your bootleg versions of them are superior and that you didn't all just waste your parents' money
>go to bed at 2pm
>fall asleep as a tear rolls down your cheek, not because you're smart enough to realize how pathetic your life is but because the core of your biology is screaming at you for being such a waste of space tendies-munching NEET piece of shit
i wish i never bought these dumb games with my parents' money... i am such a piece of shit. anyone know any good OSR games to immerse myself in to get rid of these feels?
>>
>>54995905
Haven't read Veins of the Earth yet but the samples I saw from it I really enjoyed.

I'm relatively new to OSR.
>>
>>54995884
Fuck it, let's do that!

I'm also the guy who mentioned the staircase being big enough for giants and having a bunch of societies on it. This sounds like a great place to start.

>At the bottom of the Stairwell, which has no other name and has been known as the Stairwell for as long as the Little People have been here, waits the town of Last Step. Inevitably, amidst its bustling scrap-metal buildings and stone-carved wall-houses, you will find the tavern '______.' People ask its bartender, a portly, big-eyed Grey named Xirko, why he named it such; Xirko always responds that it is much more interesting when people tell him what they think it says. A popular game is to prophesy the fate of Crawlers based on the answer they give Xirko; people bet whether it will be Good, Bad, or Strange.
>>
File: 3 Levels Map.jpg (227KB, 2542x2253px) Image search: [Google]
3 Levels Map.jpg
227KB, 2542x2253px
>>54995094
And here's the interior draft (so far). It's not designed as a dungeon you clear step by step. It's designed as a platform for chase sequences, stealth sequences, chance encounters, near misses, and bungling around in the dark.
>>
>>54995884
>>54995942
I can do the map. How many rooms?
>>
>>54995942
>People ask its bartender, a portly, big-eyed Grey named Xirko, why he named it such; Xirko always responds that it is much more interesting when people tell him what they think it says. A popular game is to prophesy the fate of Crawlers based on the answer they give Xirko; people bet whether it will be Good, Bad, or Strange.
>Good, Bad, or Strange

I like this.

Now here's a follow up question, is Xirko a Grey in the sense that he's an alien, or does Grey refer to lineage of human mutants?
>>
>>54995962
Hm. If we're not using the Stairwell, maybe ten or fifteen? I don't feel like it needs to be large.
>>
>>54995986
I was thinking of the aliens, but it could be mutants. It could also be that the aliens *are* human mutants, and people forgot about them some time ago, and then they came back.

Maybe the whole "war of the worlds" thing is what broke some of these massive space nations, and now everybody's living in the aftermath.

I was definitely thinking of the aliens though.
>>
>>54995989
Five on earth: it's grown into ruin and shit. Then ten more on moon, which is still maintained and inhabited by the moon people.
>>
>>54996112
What if the five on earth are partially the town (like, two squares; I imagine more Mos Eisley than a real-ass town) and then the rest is the ruined "wilderness" of stone grown up around the Stairwell?
>>
>>54996137
Works for me. Kind of like a dungeon town with bandits and monsters, tenuously maintained peace that completely breaks down deeper in.
>>
>>54996147
Yeah, exactly. A shithole you only come to if you're about to be a Climber or you're hard enough to live there and make a living off the nearby problems.

Or are the guy who doles out the booze. Nobody fucks with Xirko. Not because he's high-level or badass, but because he makes good swill from the fungus that grows on the step and nobody wants to be the guy who has to explain to the rest of the town why they murdered "dude who makes our lives bearable."
>>
Play it straight anon here. Dealing with small family emergency.

Godspeed, creative types. If this is still going when I get back, I will contribute.
>>
>>54995716
These threads are still easily on the top 5 of generals on /tg/, if only because they aren't ceaseless shitposting or clique circlejerking, and we still get at least a bit of OC every thread
>>
>>54996197
At this point I'm just waiting on the map before I make any more ideas. I wanna see the layout, so we can make it cool and fitting!
>>
File: Test Map 1.jpg (82KB, 1028x993px) Image search: [Google]
Test Map 1.jpg
82KB, 1028x993px
>>54995962
>>54995989
>>54996112
>>54996137
Well here you go. The wavy paths are portals.
>>
>>54996428
I like it!

>Room 8 is the "Halfway House." It consists of two bunk beds, a sink, an exit, and an entrance. The walls, floor, and ceiling are transparent, and outside, corpses floating in bunk beds sometimes drift past. If you are brave or foolhardy enough to go loot them, you may find a sweet reward - but sometimes, the corpses awake, and you must fight for your prize. (70% chance of Nothing Outside/25% chance of undead/5% chance of treasure.)
>>
>>54995716
>tfw still try to be helpful >>54984877
>tfw still try to post OC >>54990508
>tfw still like Big OC-Anon >>54985782
>tfw not sure what threads on /tg/ are supposed to be better

I do wish all the anti-Skerplers, the outside trolls and whoever replies to them would fuck off, but I also remember when we kept getting
>why not 3E saves, old saves can't into sense
every thread and I know that
>MUH VANCIAN CASTING
has always been a recurring thing in these threads.
>>
File: Bunny Loves Kitty.gif (2MB, 400x231px) Image search: [Google]
Bunny Loves Kitty.gif
2MB, 400x231px
>>54996716

It's okay, anon, I really do love you. It's just been a shitty couple of days in the /osrg/, and we've been a little cranky 'cause the mods are asleep.
>>
How'd be this for a one-shot?
>>
File: Origen3.jpg (33KB, 220x343px) Image search: [Google]
Origen3.jpg
33KB, 220x343px
>>54996716
Regarding frequent mechanic discussions, the reasonable thing would really be to construct a FAQ which attempts to explain why some people like older or different stuff. I don't get why that hasn't been done yet.
>>
Does anyone know where I can get like a 1" gridded clear plastic or vinyl mat of a good size? Would be good so I could just lay it on any playmat.
>>
>>54996986
It's would probably be useful, but I'm not sure it would help in all cases. I'm pretty sure the thing with the saves was just one giant sperg who couldn't accept the idea of people liking old-style saves and wanted to make us stop, for instance. It happened in every thread for months and then just stopped and we've never had a question about it again. Actually, come to think of it it was probably 2hu. Didn't he latch on to Godbound at around that time? Fuck, now I'm mad I didn't think of it before.

Don't get me wrong, an FAQ/new alternative Primer would be great in many ways, but I don't think it can stop that kind of rampant shitloss.
>>
>>54997122
Search Amazon for '1" grid vinyl mat'. Piles of sellers at $20-$25.
>>
>>54997122
>>54997190
Specifically, this one looks good to me if you want a big one: amazon.com/dp/B00OD2G8DE/
>>
>>54997153
I could consider handling a pastebin containing well formulated answers and explanations from these generals. It would probably be a slowly growing thing though, only addressing mechanics whenever someone pops up to question them.
>>
>>54996821
I'd run it.
A bunch of that stuff is either a kinda humorous reference (It's got Bargle in it) or just genuine nostalgia for when I played as a kid.
>>
>>54997225
>>54997190
Thanks mate! Cheers!
>>
>>54997240
Maybe also a pastebin for alternative mechanics? That way, if people go "hey I don't want to do Vancian, what are some alternatives" you can immediately point them at the pastebin, which'll offer them a useful list of good alternatives?
>>
>>54996821
I prefer this "fake innkeeper tricks PCs" mini-dungeon.
>>
>>54997274
That would be nice too, and I could see that just being part of the other pastebin.
>>
>>54997330
>I could see that just being part of the other pastebin.
A third anon here but I agree. It seems like a reasonable structure would be something like
>Why Vancian casting?
>Here's why
>Okay, but what if I still hate it?
>Resources for fairly functional alternatives

I think almost every type of old-school rule could use this type of listed alternatives, even if in some cases there would only be one (e.g. I'm not sure there's a way to do ability-based saves that doesn't shit all over gameplay, but the S&W unified saving throw does work).
>>
>>54985782
Might be a stupid question, but which system would this work best with? Some variation of OD&D? I'm pretty new to OSR stuff but I'm in love with this.
>>
>>54998113
I'd go with B/X or one of the games based on it. B/X tends to be easier to mess with and get less broken because there isn't as much there to break. But it would probably work fine with ad&d 1st ed.
>>
>>54997225
This doesn't appear to be clear. Can't seem to find any that are clear, which is odd because it would be much more versatile.
>>
>>54998408
Cool, thanks Anon!
>>
>>54998408
>>54998441

I'm the guy who wrote it. There is no specific system it's intended for, just do whatever you want.
>>
>>54998479
True, but I figure a system with fewer fiddly bits for the existing classes might be a better fit. Thanks for writing it, by the way, it's rad.
>>
>>54998413
Oh, you wanted it to be clear. Duh me, I totally missed that. Sorry, bro.
>>
File: Castel-SantAngelo.jpg (1MB, 2200x1446px) Image search: [Google]
Castel-SantAngelo.jpg
1MB, 2200x1446px
Ok folks, you and your current group need to break into here, steal something, and get out. It's a big castle few entrances, many guards, and lots of stuff going on inside.

What's your immediate first though? No prep work, no scouting. What's the first idea that springs to mind, given your past experiences?
>>
>>54998739
walk in the front door
>>
>>54998739
Those windows up top are my very first thought. Don't ask me how I'd get past the guards, but that's the most vulnerable spot I see.

Alternatively, is this bridge over water? Sneak in through the sewers?
>>
File: bigCastel.jpg (1MB, 1700x1200px) Image search: [Google]
bigCastel.jpg
1MB, 1700x1200px
>>54998788
Guards want to know who you are, if you have an appointment, why you've got such a big shiny sword. You are asked politely but firmly to leave.
>>54998792
Windows work (takes 1hr to study a route to any one window), but it rains at night. Good luck.
The windows are going to be a popular option, I feel.
>Alternatively, is this bridge over water?
It is.
>Sneak in through the sewers?
Works if you are 2" wide. Otherwise, you're just covered in shit.
>>
>>54998712
No problem mate. Thanks anyway
>>
>>54998739
The Passetto di Borgo; the viaduct approach from the Vatican. Of course the ends will be guarded, but it's likely that the passage itself won't be. So, disguise myself as a monk, sneak past or in a pinch bludgeon the guard at the Vatican end (possibly using an accomplice to dress as the guard and reduce suspicion), quickly move down the passetto, slug the guard on the other side from behind, and enter the fortress.
>>
File: 8491249187_70fa768706_b.jpg (229KB, 768x1000px) Image search: [Google]
8491249187_70fa768706_b.jpg
229KB, 768x1000px
>>54999007
Your plan works perfectly. Escape via the same method may be difficult though - the guard won't remain undiscovered for long. Nevertheless, it is almost a perfect entrance.
>>
>>54998739
I want to stage a bridge war as a distraction and then climb in the back. I don't know if they had those in rome though, might have been a Venice only kind of game. Maybe one of the really violent proto-football games they did instead.
>>
>>54999059
>Escape via the same method may be difficult though - the guard won't remain undiscovered for long.
Who needs it? If the thing I'm stealing is reasonably portable and won't get fucked by water, I'll just dive in the Tiber. Otherwise, a long rope concealed as the belt of my monk's habit will let me down from the northwestern peak turret onto the roof of the passetto; from there I'll leap onto the roof of one of the adjacent palazzi. That roof should provide an attachment point for the rope, and so down.
>>
File: natasha-nanook-.jpg (192KB, 1920x1056px) Image search: [Google]
natasha-nanook-.jpg
192KB, 1920x1056px
>>54999172
It's the Pope.
But good job on having some very, very sensible plans. Much appreciated.
>>54999097
BRIDGE WAAAAAAAAAAR!

That's a pretty decent idea. Staging a riot; easy. But people will be upset if a "friendly" game of Kick The Sack gets interrupted by The Fuzz.
>>
File: 1378187975676.jpg (1MB, 1403x905px) Image search: [Google]
1378187975676.jpg
1MB, 1403x905px
>>54999213
I'm under the impression authorities were in on the betting and/or fighting if they could get a cut. But I've only read one article. It seems like getting 500+ drunk hooligans together to beat on each other as the game instead of even pretending to care about anything else.

I also have a comedic image of smuggling the pope out but he keeps on wanting to watch the event, starts trying to place bets
>>
>>54999213
I have no problem with throwing the Pope in the Tiber, trussed up like a chicken and preferably dosed with a soporific; in fact, that's probably easier than running off with him over the rooftops. I would just make sure to have some guys on a barge with boat hooks, disguised as regular Trastevere dredgemen, to help get him out of the water before he drowns. He'd have to be stripped of his vestments, of course.

It would be very hard to bring in, but ideally I'd have a buoy with me to mark where he went down. Maybe I can empty a keg or something in the wine cellar while putting somnolent drugs in the Papal wine? Then I can lash my belt-rope to the empty keg, tie the other end to the holy wrists and chuck the whole package over the side of the wall; fortunately the wall is quite vertical and goes directly into the river, so his Holiness is unlikely to get banged up on the way down or hit a rock. I guess it might be hard getting onto the manned wall with a whole Pope, though...
>>
File: 34410c093496025d8cba22586a701af3.jpg (241KB, 736x1088px) Image search: [Google]
34410c093496025d8cba22586a701af3.jpg
241KB, 736x1088px
>>54999300
>I also have a comedic image of smuggling the pope out but he keeps on wanting to watch the event, starts trying to place bets

Adding that to the Table of Papal Vices
>But I've only read one article.
Link?
>I have no problem with throwing the Pope in the Tiber, trussed up like a chicken and preferably dosed with a soporific; in fact, that's probably easier than running off with him over the rooftops.
He can't swim and he's wearing lots of heavy rings. Better hope those guys with boathooks are good!
>with a whole Pope
You do not get paid for fractional Popes.
>>
File: tano-bonfanti-tano-bonfanti-10.jpg (537KB, 1920x2240px) Image search: [Google]
tano-bonfanti-tano-bonfanti-10.jpg
537KB, 1920x2240px
>>54999330
Whoops, missed selecting
>>54999303
>>
>>54999330
>http://www.thearma.org/essays/BridgeWars.htm#.WZu7irLyvrc
The 600 hoolgian bridge war was set up for Henry the 3rd, who apparently said the event was "was too small to be a real war and too cruel to be a game."

That other guy is way better planing than I am though. I was just going to swap his clothes, get him wasted and keep a knife in his back on the way out.
>>
>>54999330
>He can't swim
Few sleeping people can. Hence the buoy, but yeah, the Trasteveres would have to be divers and prepared accomplices.

>and he's wearing lots of heavy rings
Obviously those come off with the vestments and go in my belt purse.

>You do not get paid for fractional Popes.
That's what I'm saying, it's hard to pull off that way. Extraction is the real issue here, to the point where it might be preferable to save the passetto for an exit and gain entry via escalade, like the other guy suggested. But then, the odds of the Pope being recognized *in the Vatican* aren't ideal either.

Maybe I can bring a *really long* rope and hoist him down the wall to the waiting barge before diving in myself. That's really time-consuming, though.
>>
>>54999390
>Extraction is the real issue here
Don't worry, I know this guy...
>>
>>54999390
Actually, new idea. If there are two or three of us going in, we can empty a large barrel (if there is one) and cram His Holiness in it, then throw THAT in the Tiber. It will float, since both wood and Popes are lighter than water, he'll have enough air since the whole purpose of a barrel is to be waterproof, and as suspect as it is, rolling a barrel will look much more inconspicuous than lugging a half-naked Holy Father around.
>>
>>54999476
>Popes are lighter than water
Depends on how sinful they are I hear.
>>
>>54999492
Fortunately the flotation of the barrel will make up for at least some quantity of the burden of sin.
>>
>>54999503
I'd get a blessed barrel. Just in case.
>>
File: 1424160365964.jpg (284KB, 498x881px) Image search: [Google]
1424160365964.jpg
284KB, 498x881px
>>54999476
>It will float, since both wood and Popes are lighter than water
I hallucinated the wikipedia [citation needed] bit right behind that sentence.
So you're hoping to pull an Annie Taylor combined with a Nelson's Parade, but with the added twist that you're infiltrating using the Trappist Two-Step. Very nice.
>>
>>54999526
"Your Holiness, it is in Your Holiness' own best interest to sanctify this barrel. It is destined to be, shall we say, a vessel like the basket of Moses."
>>
File: 458643983.jpg (30KB, 408x612px) Image search: [Google]
458643983.jpg
30KB, 408x612px
>>54999556
>"Your Holiness, it is in Your Holiness' own best interest to sanctify this barrel. It is destined to be, shall we say, a vessel like the basket of Moses."

"And much like Moses, its contents will be scooped up by a fellow of Egyptian descent well known for never, ever letting his people go."
>>
what are some games of chance that would be easy to implement in the middle of a game? guys shooting craps in a corner? three-card monte?
>>
>>54999657
If you need something quick that won't disrupt the game too badly, then yeah, shooting dice is probably the best choice.

You could use the "thimble game" variant of three-card monte as well, which I believe is of considerably greater antiquity than the card version.

A board game which is very old (at least medieval) and relatively fast to play is Nine Men's Morris or the Mill Game; you can find the rules anywhere and can draw a board on a piece of paper or anything.
>>
File: pic239831_md.jpg (22KB, 500x231px) Image search: [Google]
pic239831_md.jpg
22KB, 500x231px
>>54999657
Black jack's easy and fast. I've wanted to do a game with crown & anchor in it but that's part because the dice look really cool.
>>
Instead of redoing the vancian magic system, why not just rewrite the spells instead?
>>
You guys have played through Stonehell, right?

What could the Trade Corridor innkeeper demand in return for his gauntlets of power? Something else from the dungeon, or some service, or?
>>
>>54989875
Not much is known about them. The few that have some lore of their mortal lives were not from Numenor.
>>
I want to run Stonehell but wanted to change the dungeon's name so nobody looks it up.
Any flavorful suggestions?
>>
>>55001851
Don't call it by its name at all. Instead everyone always refers to its smaller components, the level sections and their major inhabitants. Depending on who you ask, they might call it the base of those raiding hobgoblins, or the lair of that troublesome black dragon, or the haunted troll mines, or where those crazy luck priests ended up...
>>
>>54999657
As I recall one of the editions of AD&D had rules for dice games somewhere. Nothing too complicated though.
>>
>>54983353
Chthonic Codex
>>
>>54999657
Gluckhaus
>>
>>55003432
The Chthonic Codex stuff isn't in the trove, is it?

That's pretty much the only thing I couldn't find, with the exception of the Spire of Iron and Crystal.
>>
>>54993959
HOLY FUCK, please let him know that his shit is fantastic
>>54995094
>>54995944
I really like the geometric shapes in the map. I think it gives a good sense of the grandeur.
Can you make a fire scare at the "not-vatican"
>>54995256
>>54995286
>>54995352
>>54995417
Stellar taste!
>>54995634
>>throat is thick with the wine of lies
Damn, I have to get back to writing poetry.
>>54995788
I mean, that'll be a good way to make Mount Fuckwad full of Turbobears.
>>54999330
Yo, how heavy are these rings? Are they made out of lead?
>>
>>55003594
>Are they made out of lead?
Gold is almost twice as heavy as lead, Anon.
>>
File: warcry_battle_wizard72.jpg (423KB, 826x649px) Image search: [Google]
warcry_battle_wizard72.jpg
423KB, 826x649px
I'm designing some magic staff or rod style weapons for the party's magic users, who basically don't get direct magic damage from their spells.

What do you think is better; Powerful 'once daily' abilities or less powerful 'once per battle' abilities?
>>
New thread:
>>55003792
>>
>>54998739
>>54998860
>>54999059
>>54999213
>>54999300
>>54999330
>>54999349
>>54999430
>>54999553
>>54999588
>it's a "Skerp is an attention whore" session
>>
>>55003877
Just shut up, ya noisy piece of shit.

Normally I'd never condescend to give you faggots a (you), but fuck it, the thread's about dead anyway.
>>
>>55003899
>shamelessly mining ideas while contributing nothing is okay when Skerp does it
Thread posts: 321
Thread images: 53

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.