[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - D&D Fifth Edition General - Mearls Edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 370
Thread images: 32

File: mearls.png (310KB, 493x493px) Image search: [Google]
mearls.png
310KB, 493x493px
>Unearthed Arcana: Three-Pillar Experience
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-ThreePillarXP.pdf

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Alternate Trove:
https://dnd.rem.uz/5e%20D%26D%20Books/

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread >>54908535

What UA will Mearls think of next?
>>
>>54916307
Fuck off, Nine.
>>
>>54916307
>What UA will Mearls think of next?
Still waiting on Food & Provisions
>>
>>54916307
UA Variable Armor Class
>This method of armor class determination is simple, easy, and models realism a bit better. You simply add your dexterity modifier to your proficiency, subtract points equal to the "Armor Cost" of the last turn you too...
>>
Does anyone have a Mairon/Sauron build for 5e?
>>
>>54916307
>Unearthed Arcana: Retconning the Existence of Mystics and Artificers
>>
>>54916351
Don't forget to call it "THAC0" or at least "Greyhawk AC"
>>
>>54916389
https://www.reddit.com/r/DnD/comments/6b6aua/becoming_sauron_a_warlocks_guide_to_projecting/
>>
>>54916389
As I posted last thread:
>As in for a player character or a monster? If you want him as a PC, probably fallen aasimar lore bard with a dip on fiend warlock, given the one time we see him fight is when he has a mystical singing match with that one elf king who had a dwarvish nickname. Tolkien characters don't translate well to d&d in general
I now remember he was Finrod Felagund but doesn't matter.

Tolkien characters really don't fit on d&d, much less so when you're taking a deity/fallen angel. As a MONSTER then there's almost as little to go from.
>>
It looks like they're finally going to update the faction guide for AL. That thing has been riddled with errors for years.
>>
>>54916538
Didn't they already update it?
>>
I'm trying to brew up some stats for an archfey, but I'm having one big question about the design: should they cast with Charisma (like warlocks) or with Wisdom (like druids)? Or a mix of both, like having the Spellcasting feature of an archdruid, using Wisdom, plus Innate Spellcasting with whatever spells, using Charisma?
>>
>>54916736
The standard spellcasting ability for Fey seems to be Charisma, based on the innate spellcasting feature for hags, korreds, and dryads in the Monster Manual/Volo's
>>
>>54916736
For the most part, in 5e, extraplanar beings such as angels, demons, devils, and even fey, innately cast their spells using Charisma, so the archfey's innate spells should be Charisma based. However, for "class" or "learned" spellcasting such as that of a druid, then Wisdom is a perfectly acceptable stat (you could even have two different spellcasting stats like this).
>>
>>54910412
>>54910456
>>54910767
If you have experience with the system then go for Out of the Abyss. We've been playing it with a bunch of friends and it's been a blast. The story in that one's really good too along with its eccentric but likable cast of characters.
Who's DMing, a stranger or a friend?
>>
Since one of the dragons got killed and raised as undead in the latest GoT, what do you think its stats would be in 5e?
>>
>>54916948
Dracolich?
>>
>>54916948
Isn't this a massive spoiler for the episode that got leaked in Spain?
>>
>>54916948
From script leak. dragon becomes an ice dragon. Which is amusing as Ice Dragons lore wise in the book world is actually rare, but genuine things that don't need to be raised by the dead.
>>
>>54916857
>>54916865
This is what I have so far:

Verdant Prince
Medium fey, neutral evil
Armor Class 23
Hit Points 170 (20d8+80)
Speed 60ft

STR 17 (+3) DEX 21 (+5) CON 18 (+4) INT 15 (+2) WIS 20 (+5) CHA 26 (+8)
Saving Throws Dex +11, Wis +11, Cha +14
Skills Arcana +14, Deception +20, Nature +14, Perception +11, Stealth +11
Resistances: fire, lightning, necrotic, bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical attacks that aren't cold iron
Condition Immunities: charmed, frightened, paralyzed

Innate Spellcasting. The archfey's innate spellcasting ability score is Charisma (save DC 22, +14 to hit with spell attacks). The archfey can innately cast the following spells, requiring no material components.
At will: disguise self, dispel magic, dominate beast, faerie fire, fear, phantasmal force,
3/day each: dominate person, eyebite, greater invisibility, mass sugestion, seeming
1/day each: dominate monster, feeblemind, sleep (9th level), true polymorph

Legendary Resistance (3/ day): If the archfey fails a saving throw, it can choose to succeed instead.

Magic Resistance. The archfey has advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects.
>>
>>54917270
Spellcasting. The archfey is an 18th-level spellcaster. Its spellcasting ability is Wisdom (spell save DC 19, +11 to hit with spell attacks). It has the following druid spells prepared:
Cantrips (at will): druidcraft, poison spray, thorn whip
1st level (4 slots): cure wounds, entangle, faerie fire, speak with animals
2nd level (3 slots): earthbind, gust of wind, hold person, spike growth
3rd level (3 slots): call lightning, meld into stone, plant growth, water breathing
4th level (3 slots): confusion, grasping vine, hallucinatory terrain, polymorph
5th level (3 slots): geas, insect plague, mass cure wounds,
6th level (1 slot): heal, wall of thorns
7th level (1 slot): fire storm, planeshift
8th level (1 slot): animal shapes
9th level (1 slot): shapechange

Tree Stride. Once on its turn, the archfey can use 10 ft. of its movement to step magically into one living tree within its reach and emerge from a second living tree within 60 ft. of the first tree, appearing in an unoccupied space within 5 ft. of the second tree. Both trees must be large or bigger.
>>
>>54917270
>>54917274
Have you seen the Archfey Lords presented in Tome of Beasts? It's 3rd party, but they have several that might help you out.
>>
We are starting a new game with me as DM. Players will start at level 3, and I'm allowing an uncommom magic item for each in starting equipment. So far, players haven't asked for things too strong (detect magic wand or elven boots, for instance), but the munchkin player who wants to play a warrior-warlock is asking me for an adamantine plate armor.

How are adamantine armors considered in 5e? Do they protect users from critical hits as usual? Is it too strong an item? Should I allow the adamantine armor, but not on plate armor (for now)? Thanks for the help mates
>>
>>54917274
I'd recommend also giving them Reincarnate
>>
>>54917297
Adamantine is fine, but definitely don't give magical plate armor to a level 3 character. I'd say no higher than scale mail (medium armor) or chain mail (heavy armor).
>>
>>54917297
Adamantine Armor's sole effect in 5e (I believe) is making Critical Hits into normal hits.

Doesn't seem spectacularly broken but if you want to keep it limited in power don't give him Full Plate at level 3, keep it to one of the other heavy armors.
>>
>>54917317
>>Be me
>>Give nerfed demon armor to a lv4 war cleric
>>
>>54917297
Make it Half Plate and allow them to eventually finish the suit at ~7th level.
>>
>>54917317
>>54917319
Thank you, I will do as you say, allow the magic item to be an adamantine armor, but not a full plate armor. It does break the game, such a high AC at level 3
>>
>>54917301
Oh, yeah that'd make sense.

>>54917283
I was looking at them in 5etools. I'll see if I get more ideas from those.
>>
The archfey is called King Witchthorn:

Multiattack. The archfey makes two melee attacks, or three ranged attacks.

Quarterstaff (w/ shillelagh). Melee Weapon Attack, +14 to hit, reach 5ft. Hit: 12 (1d8 + 8) bludgeoning damage, plus 9 (2d8) poison damage.

Thorns. Ranged Weapon Attack, +11 to hit, range 100/400 ft. Hit: 15 (4d4+5) piercing damage, plus 9 (2d8) poison damage.

Thorn Blast (Recharge 5-6). King Witchthorn unleashes a massive wave of thorns. Each creature of his choice within 30ft must make a DC 19 Dexterity saving throw, taking 55 (22d4) piercing damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.
>>
Anyone have a backup of the trove with the Gabriel Pickard stuff, etc.? Feel like tossing it up somewhere quickly?
>>
What does "functions as a defender" on a weapon mean? I can't find anything anywhere.
>>
Should an archfey be able to put other fey creatures or elves to sleep?

>>54917757
The Defender is a legendary magic weapon. It's in the DMG.
>>
>>54917757
It could refer to the magical weapon type "Defender", namely the transferable bonus they have.

>You gain a +3 bonus to attack and damage rolls made with this magic weapon.

The first time you attack with the sword on each of your turns, you can transfer some or all of the sword's bonus to your Armor Class, instead of using the bonus on any attacks that turn. For example, you could reduce the bonus to your attack and damage rolls to +1 and gain a +2 bonus to AC. The adjusted bonuses remain in effect until the start of your next turn, although you must hold the sword to gain a bonus to AC from it.
>>
>>54917757
Did you try Google?
https://open5e.com/equipment/magic-items/defender.html
>>
Alright 5ers, I need some help. Two things, really. First, how do you build a Bugbearmont that monts good and proper? I have need of an NPC for an "Undead lead by Vampires are attacking a city and a whip toting NPC rallies the people (PCs included) to fight".

Also, how viable is Bladesinger in 5e? I am a PC in an upcoming campaign and they lack a wizard, but based on the DM's comments magic is something that has drawbacks, or might impact things around you differently based on how spells are cast, so I thought having at least SOME melee capability while being a full caster would be cool.
>>
>>54917784
>>54917790

Cool thanks.

>>54917793
I did actually, but I assumed it was a weapon property rather than "functions as a different legendary weapon".
>>
How do I go from "player characters find a holy symbol to an unknown god on some hobgoblin corpses" to "armies of a goddess of death and destruction are invading and they need to be stopped" in a way that makes the PC's feel involved

I don't just want to say "oh hey some guys tell you about an invasion super far away"
>>
>>54917882
Send them on some unrelated quest. Reward them with ownership of some lands and a village on the border.
>>
>>54917882
An NPC tries to steal the holy symbol from them, or sees it in their possession and turns hostile to them, thinking they're followers of the goddess.

They arrive in town to see the local forces mobilizing, mention something about an urgent summons but don't tell them that it's connected to the artifact. You want to keep that part a surprise and let them connect the dots on their own.
>>
I'm thinking of having the ruling government in my setting be powerful mages who just magic away whatever problems the smallfolk have.

E.g, there wouldn't be many farmers, as the mages have a special branch of wizards who cast create food and drink all the time.

I'm sure some of you have tried something similar before. How'd it go?
>>
>>54918104
If the "smallfolk" aren't needed for farming, why does the mageocracy let them live? Are they a welfare-dependent concubine plantation?
>>
>>54918104
The problem with that is that it might take away conflict that could exist in the world.
>Hey we're a bunch of adventurers and we can solve all your problems.
>Don't worry, we're wizards. All the problems were solved years ago.
You could create strife in the wizard community or a debate of heirarchy sometihng like that but don't let the PC's "run-out-of-things-to-do".
>>
>>54918104
>ruling gov of powerful mages

Have been done. Not sure how to make second part work. As is there enough wizards around for such things etc
>>
>>54918104
>>54918144
Wizards tend to cause new problems and not solve any problems.
>Enforce laws? Here's some law enforcing golems. They'll smash anyone who breaks laws, I don't even remember what laws we decided on since I was fucking around in the planes.
>What do you mean my army of undead laborers crashed the economy?
>>
>>54918104
I tried doing something similar in the Primeval Thule setting, set in its past. I emphasized that all this magic being used for mundane concerns would eventually cause an imbalance. The country we were playing in was Atlantis.
>>
> DM want to play with massive damage rule
What class / combination should I use to avoid this shit? And I'm guessing that Assassin Rogue can actually be useful sometime now with this rule?
>>
File: 1496622144963.jpg (475KB, 1280x2048px) Image search: [Google]
1496622144963.jpg
475KB, 1280x2048px
>>54917861
I will post art as bumps
>>
>>54917861
Bladesinger is viable (it is a wizard afterall), but it is more optimize if you play it as high AC wizard who shoot spell from the back.

I do enjoy Rogue 2 / Bladesinger.
>>
>>54918191
For the last time I don't want to make love with you.
>>
>>54918172
This sounds pretty interesting actually. Just a bunch of Unaligned Neutral wizards that have a kingdom to run but don't actually care for running it, they just want the materials and land that owning a kingdom entails because its useful for their wizard fuckery.
>>
What makes wizards so great?
>>
What's the explanation for casting wish Charisma like a warlock? How does that even work? Also, as far as patrons go, what are the motivations for something like an Archfey or GOO to make a pact in the first place? Are they generally interested in the soul of a person like fiends?
>>
>>54918273
Unlimited knowledge of spells and pure casting.
>>
File: rtfb2.png (283KB, 649x671px) Image search: [Google]
rtfb2.png
283KB, 649x671px
>>54918281
>>
>>54918281
Charisma as it is force of Will. Archfey are nut jobs at times, GOO at times don't even need to care or know about you. You might not even know you made a pact with it for a GOO or even a GOO to know you even matter to it. Just need something to click for a GOO pact and oddly their benefits is the most defensive from the other pacts as if they 'care'. Generally depends on how much you take from Lovecraft.

Granted am high right now and you should read some reasons in the PHB for it.
>>
>>54918281
READ THE FUCKING BOOK
>>
>>54917861
>>54918227
I would love to, but as said DM has made sure we understand there's something going on with the magic in his world and I am concerned it'll be like "you have limited lifetime casts" or "magic draws bad things".

>>54918256
Why not?
>>
>>54918281
>>54918332
Charisma is definitely like "this is definitely something I can physically do, I just need to believe in myself" sorts of things. Obviously warlocks don't have any sort of personal power reservoir they're just pulling shit out of whatever granted powers they got and apparently the willpower and confidence to use shit given by huge magical beings is not for the faint of heart.

Actual motivations are.... probly they're too fucking mundane but also not strong/smart/disciplined enough to take a different path. Definitely not wise.

GOOs aren't even necessarily like a 'contract' type pact, it might be that you read some ancient Tome of Mindfucking and have your psyche linked to cosmic horror knowledge now. The knowing is the being and you can't UN-know it.
>>
I'm playing a bard for my next campaign and i want to play him as a sword and board Viking Skjald type guy with a warhorn giving inspiration to my comrades during battle. I'm guessing valor bard is my best bet for this, my question is should i MC with anything to give me a little more survivability when shit goes down?
>>
>>54918516
A single Sorcerer dip, especially if you're going dex

Get scag cantrips, Shield, Mage Armor and Firebolt, while keeping full Caster and Charisma casting
>>
>>54918546
Should i take that as my second level or wait til after level 3?
>>
>>54918546
If he's getting scag cantrips from another class, it's better to just go lore bard instead. Won't use Extra Attack, can't use Battle Magic, so why even bother?
>>
After some of your feedback(and ignoring most of you trolls) this is the last iteration for my homebrew race:

Your Intelligence increases by 2 and your Dexterity increases by 1.

Alignment. A grey's original mission is usually nefarious, so tend towards neutral or evil alignments.

Size. Small

Speed. Your base walking speed is 25 feet.

Psionics. You know the friends cantrip. At lvl 3 you learn detect thoughts, recharges every short rest. At lvl 5 you learn misty step, it recharges every long rest.This innate spellcasting trait has the psionics tag.

Polyreactive Tapeta. You can see in dim light as though it were bright light. In addition, you are immune to attacks against you that rely on your sight, such as a medusa's gaze.

Alter Mind, Hide self. You are not stealthy by normal understanding. When you make a Stealth check, you can use your Intelligence modifier instead of your Dexterity modifier.

Languages. Common, Deep Speech

What do you guys think? I really want to play a creature from the Far realm so a Grey who came in a spaceship seems ideal to insert into D&D.
>>
>>54918589
Sounds like a very balanced and flavourful homebrew, I'd accept it at my table.
>>
>>54918104
That wouldn't be an efficient use of clerics (wizards can't even cast Create Food and Water.) Not only is it hard to find a cleric with enough adventuring e,perience to cast 3rd-level spells, but those spell slots are limited, and every spell slot used to do something the peasants should be able to do for themselves is a spell slot not used to do something the peasants can't do for themselves, like healing the sick and wounded.
>>
>>54918589
I'm not so sure about gaze attack immunity, I'd be much more willing to accept advantage.
>>
>>54917878
Then stop assuming.
>>
>>54918572
2 level of Bard gets you Jack of All Trades... Which is definitely not something you have to get as soon as absolutely possible. Yes, you can take the Sorcerer dip as your 2nd level.

>>54918585
Absolutely, yes.
Get them Spirit Guardians and maybe Counterspell at level 6 for absolute Shenanigans
But flavor beats mechanics every time, and Valor Bard does have more Skjald flavor than Lore.
>>
>Fight going very badly and start making a deal with the enemy so we don't die
>ally just carries on attacking them
but why
>>
>>54918672
Hell, you may want to get Sorcerer as your first level, considering that gives you proficiency in Con saves

Make it a variant human with Warcaster, and you are set for the rest of the game
>>
>>54918104
Just play in Eberron. It's a take on magic-replacing-technology that has a little bit more nuance than "oh there are these wizards who run everything."
>>
>>54918672
You can flavor anything to anything though. Also important would be Valor's equipment proficiencies if you're going the scag attack cantrips. Expertises also might be important in some campaigns earlier.
>>
>>54918705
Well, since "earlier" here means a single level, it's not that you're wrong, but I think you're only marginally right...

Like I just said, I actually think Sorcerer should be the *first* level
>>
>>54918729
Oh yeah, I agree but there's always circumstances to take into account. I've been in more than a few games where it starts out social&skill heavy before 5 or so. You should totally prepare for the best possible 5-6 but there's plenty of options.
>>
>>54916307
is there a way to download everything from the trove in a single zip? I don't want to be stuck without the stuff if wizards ever dmca the website
>>
>>54918814
nvm I figured it out
>>
>>54918729
Which sorcerous origin would you suggest taking?
>>
>>54918885
Both Draconic and Storm present favorable options for the Skjald, comes down to whether you want to channel your inner Fafnir, or your inner Thor.

I personally gravitate toward Storm. Having to burn that one spell slot on Mage Armor on lower levels is going to be a biiiiiiitch, but on higher you don't even notice it, and that extra mobility is just ace, especially on those Healing Word rounds, or when you'll want to charge to get an action to cast Dissonant Whispers and slam an opportunity Booming Blade with your Warcaster
>>
>>54918993
At level 7 you'll get them coming in with your spirit guardians, and coming out with your dissonant Whispers + Booming Blade.
>>
Which Revised Ranger conclave is strongest? I don't want to play a gimped beast master for 10 levels until I die. I actually want to feel useful.
>>
Any good printable paper minis out there?
Looking for some heroes.
>>
I'd take a level of life cleric instead of sorc. Nets you heavy armor prof and a boost to your healing spells. Also, guidance.

It's Wis based, but honestly, who gives a fuck?
>>
>>54919081
That's a lot of trouble to go over for Healing Word.

>so who cares

Having to lug around a 13 in Wis in addition to high Dex, Con, and Cha is pretty careworthy
>>
>>54919053
Deep Stalker
>>
>>54919115
With magical secrets its less of an issue. Not so much in saves against level 1 cleric spells BUT you get cleric ritual casting and the domain benefits too.
>>
>>54919115
You don't need high Dex (or at all, you get heavy armor prof; you don't even need 14), and you can start cleric and then switch to Bard.
>>
>>54919138
You mean, first level Cleric rituals, which are Purify Food and Drink and.... Detect Magic.

And with your 13 in Wisdom, you only get to prepare 2 Cleric Spells, so.. No healing Word after all?
>>
>>54919165
You can get healing word from the Bard side already, ya silly.
>>
>>54919148
Fine, you don't need high Dex, but you will need high strength to hit with your weapons and carry that heavy armor around, so it's the same deal.

Remember, we're talking gishes here. Of course the Bard is the best healer in the game, especially with a single level dip in Life Cleric to turbocharge that Aura of Vitality, Healing Word and Cure Wounds releasing those Spell Known slots for Raise Dead and Greater Restoration, but we're not doing Healbard, we're doing Skald
>>
>>54919165
Thought they got book rituals for some reason, thats pretty shit with the complete lack of spells generally. Can't even boost Ritual Caster feat rituals with multiclass schools either, rip rituals.

Will try to have fewer stupid ideas until after coffee.
>>
>>54919169
See above
>>54919187
>>
>>54919190
Clerics don't got book rituals, only Wizards and some Warlocks (And Ritual Caster feat)
Clerics have to prepare the spells they mean to cast as rituals
>>
>>54919187
Okay, how about some levels of paladin then?

Again, get heavy armor/shield, get some auras, get some weapons, also get smite. Get a fighting style too. Doesn't even delay your casting by much, and stats align up.

There's also the meme-tier grapple-bardbarian.
>>
>>54919202
Sorry misread what you said as saying they did have rituals books
>>
>>54919202
Yeah, I went and read the fucking book. I wish ritual casting wasn't so gimped.outside Tomelock which is bestlock
>Be non-book ritual caster class
>Take Ritual Caster(Wizard)
>Take Ritual Caster(Cleric)
>Still mad
>still no spells
>Still completely disconnected from actual class rituals
>>
>>54919208
Sure, but you have to start as a Paladin to get heavy armor, and put a second level in it to get Smites and a fighting style, then just one more for that Oath, and then one more because Caster progression, and then look, just one more gives you extra Attack and shit, didn't you want to be a Skjald or something?
>>
>>54919231
Ritual Casting Wizard is pretty cool on an Eldritch Knight, an Arcana Cleric, or a poor, poor Arcane Trickster who didn't take two levels in Blade singing
>>
>>54919263
Yeah, it has a place it's just not the best place but then that would encroach on the tomelock which is one of the few things they have going for them classwise.
>>
>>54919280
Still think it's kind of bullcrap that the Bard is the only ritual Caster who can't access all of its rituals tho
>>
>>54919249
I'm the anon who originally asked about the skjald, not him. But i though about splashing paladin but figured if i was only going for a level or two I'd get more out of fighter. Then the other anon suggested starting as sorc, i suppose it really comes down to wanting more melee capabilities or more spells
>>
>>54919129
Archery or twf or sword and board?
>>
>>54919366
Archery
>>
>>54916948
The dragons in GoT are not really dragons in D&D tho. It would be some sort of undead wyvern?
About time they started killing them too

>Since one of the dragons got killed and raised as undead in the latest GoT, what do you think its stats would be in 5e?
>>
>>54919351
I get what you mean, but these spells *are* melee capabilities. Scag cantrips, AC through Shield, mobility through Storm, Con proficiency for them concentration checks, and none of it compromising your Caster progression all at the cost of a single dip..
A fighting style is a fine thing indeed, but you weigh those things out...
>>
>>54919472
I see what you mean, fighting styles are neat, but both fighter and paladin only make sense for 2 level dips at which point i lose an asi too. It's quite a bit to give up. I'm gonna go storm sorc/valor bard x and try it out, at level 2 i get the 2 extra cantrips from bard as well right? For a total of 6?
>>
What y'all think of this power...
Unnamed power: you can use your dex in place of your strength when calculating jumping distance.
>>
>>54919632
You mean that thing thieves get?
>>
>>54919673
Oh they do?
>>
>>54919673
>>54919689
Dex gives extra feet of jump doesn't just replace it.
>>
Should I PAM + Sentinel or just PAM + GWM on my Soradin?
>>
>>54919231
You can't take Ritual Casting twice.
On the unrelated note, you can't take Resilient twice either. The only feat that you can take multiple time is Elemental Adept.
>>
>>54919882
Yeah, I figured as much and yet it's still heavily underpowered.
>>
File: Feiya.jpg (182KB, 906x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Feiya.jpg
182KB, 906x1000px
I love the pathfinder witch, but prefer 5e to pathfinder mechanics. How can I turn the warlock from 5e into the witch from pathfinder?
>>
>>54919909
play a wizard, not a warlock
>>
>>54919909
refluff? celestial patron for healing ability.
>>
I think I want to play Light Cleric (Being able to Blast + Heal is kinda my fetish). But my campaign will start at level 1.

How do I avoid the boring Sacred Flame spam hell? Should I dip into Rogue, Fighter or take magic initiate Druid, so I have something else to do other than spamming sacred flame?
>>
>>54919966
You'll still have SOME combat ability even without the shillelagh. What do you WANT to be doing in combat other than weak blasting for those levels?
>>
>>54916397
>hurrr thac0
he shits on mechanics he doesn't unferstand
>>
>>54919966
spam 'Toll of the Dead'
Most things dont have a great wisdom save
>>
>>54917274
>>54917270
This looks nasty and I wouldn't want to face it. What are its legendary actions?
>>
So, Chult has permadeath, what now anons?
>>
>>54920064

i haven't seen any character die at all in 5e except to encounters far above 'deadly'
>>
>>54920009
Finding some no-resource damage that is better than 1d8? Early level suck because of spell slot issue.
>>
>>54919053
All of Revised Ranger is solid. Yes, even beast conclave is decent. I like Horizon Walker though, to be a teleporting asshole with a greatsword.
>>
>>54919909
Twilight Druid.
>>
>>54919966
As a light cleric, you don't want to ever make a weapon attack, so don't be an idiot and take rogue or fighter. If you really want a different cantrip to use during turns when you need to cast Healing Word to get someone up, try Magic Stone. If you must, you can take Magic Initiate or even Spell Sniper.
>>
>>54919966
Take a dip into druid. Not only you get Guidance, and so you can pick other Cleric Cantrips, you can also grab produce flame, or Shillelagh. Then you can grab Absorb Elements, Cure Wounds and Healing Word as druid spells, (along with detect Magic and shit) and release 2 spell picks for your cleric

You can even discuss with your DM the possibility of preparing Faerie Fire as a Druid spell permanently, and in return, get another spell as a Cleric domain.
>>
>>54920113
Guiding bolt is 4d6 radiant damage with 120 ft range. 1st-level spell. If you can hit with it, it kicks ass.
>>
>>54920369
yea but it's a spell slot, I believe he said no resource.
>>
>>54920369
And you can only do that twice at level one. When you are better off using that resource on stuff like Bless.

You aren't one of those guy who whine at the party to have a long rest after every encounter are you?
>>
So apparently... you can do sneak attack with magic stone, if you throw it with a sling.

http://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/11/12/magic-stone-sneak-attack/
>>
>>54920413
>yea but it's a spell slot, I believe he said no resource.
Welp, nevermind.
>>54920429
>You aren't one of those guy who whine at the party to have a long rest after every encounter are you?
'Course not.
>>
>>54920429
>Level 1
Isn't it best to just save the slots for healing? Someone is very likely to go down at level 1
>>
>>54920501
I mean, it's an amazing spell and if for some reason a rogue or a fighter go after you, they will love you. I've gotten to 5 and use it quite a bit if I don't want to get close for inflict wounds.
>>
>Finally join a game
>Level 1, get into combat
>Sorcerer runs away and hides in a minor illusion of a rock and doesn't do anything for the entire combat
>Rogue runs away and hides behind a tree because they are scared and doesn't do anything for the entire combat
>My fight and the cleric die, paladin barely survives
F U N
>>
>>54919966
Things you can do out of combat to feel useful:

Roll a Guidance d4 everytime the DM ask for an ability check. At low levels it's pretty good.

Thalmaturgy (sp?) everything for the luls

sacred flame isn't bad for the first couple levels. Use you spell slots to heal because somebody is gonna go down in the early levels and they'll start to love you.

If you dungeon dive a lot, once you get spirit guardians, start it every fight. Spirit guardians is literally one of the best spells in the game.
>>
>>54920626
Why the hell did they run? What could you have been fighting at level 1 that their characters would fear so greatly?
>>
>>54920673
men with swords
>>
>>54918589
>Psionics. You know the friends cantrip. At lvl 3 you learn detect thoughts, recharges every short rest. At lvl 5 you learn misty step, it recharges every long rest.This innate spellcasting trait has the psionics tag.

Too strong.
>>
>>54918349
I run my games that magic users can sense magic being cast and try and deduce rough clues as to what kind of spell it is with a high arcana check. So nefarious magic users cant be snuck up on if your using magic near them at all.

I also run it that most villagers and peasants are heavily superstitous and dislike wanton use of magic as it draws bad things like plague and deamon incursions.

Think along the lines of your favourite fantasy novels. There are always reasonable draw backs that stop the Gandalf/Belgarath/Sparrowhawk figure from magicing their way out of every scenario
>>
>>54920470
I guess its not that different than sneak attacks with a finesse weapon using your strength score
>>
Any good druid multiclasses? I'm druid 3 and I want to try some new stuff.
>>
>>54920693
TRUTH
>>
>>54920782
Got anything in mind you want to aim for?
>>
>>54920782
1 Level of Life Cleric, so you can Goodberry erry day.
>>
>>54920782
I'm always reluctant to multiclass out of a full caster since I'll always feel a step behind personally. I guess rogue could be useful
>>
>>54920782
I took a single level dip of dragon sorcerer, I liked it
>>
Any feats worth for a wizard?
>>
>D&D beyond full content bundle is 280 dollars

I know WOTC are out of fucking touch, but christ
>>
>>54920925
War Caster
Alert
Resilient (Con)
>>
>>54920936
>there are people that will pay for it
>>
>Nearing the end of a storyline
>it's late at night
>DM calls it quits right before the conclusion because people got work in the morning
>Gotta wait a week to see the storyline's conclusion
I hate this feeling
>>
>>54921085
>DM ends the game an hour earlier than usual because he clearly wants to leave it on a cliffhanger
>>
>>54921054
Those people are idiots.
>>
>>54920828
If you multiclass into another full caster you keep the full spell slot progression, and (I think?) if you multiclass into another prepared caster (ie Cleric/Druid) you can prepare spells of whatever level regardless of your class levels.
So in theory you could be Cleric 1 / Druid 19 and have access to the max level Cleric spells - just, only 4 of them.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure that's accurate.
>>
So my Wild Magic sorceress has made an odd pact with a powerful entity. She is able to wield martial weapons and wear medium armor. Now, I wanna take full advantage of this, and our DM has allowed us all to rebuild our characters however we want to within standard rules. We're allowed to roll for stats if we want. How can I take full advantage of my newfound abilities? I'm definitely gonna be using a lot of quickened Green Flame Blade and Booming Blade. I've got the spells shield, mirror image, scorching ray, maximilian's earthen grasp, and invisibility. Should I go dexterity or strength for my melee stat? There are decent weapons available either way. I've got a +1 Dagger of Venom and we have what looks to be a magical axe that needs identifying.
>>
>>54920014
Anon, I have played as much osr as I have 5e, I was just mocking Mearl's misleading names
>>
Does anyone who has a beyond account tell me what it does when you purchase a campaign?
you get the pdf,the monster statblocks and the magic items,but anything more?
An interactive map(like hovering over the room and its discription pops up) would convince me to buy it.
>>
>>54921207
Also I should say, my DM is allowing me to use spell points and I'm allowed to combine the pools of spell points and sorcery points. So I'm in a good place Metamagic wise, especially if I'm just using it for cantrips.
>>
>>54921207
Dex is a far better stat overall, but daggers are a little weak
>>
>>54921154
No, you prepare spells just with your individual class levels - you'd only be able to take 1st level cleric spells.

Read the fucking book.
>>
>>54921288
Yeah, I wish Dex wasn't so ridiculously helpful for every build. I understand why, Dex weapons are weaker than Strength, but still. I was thinking it might not be awful to use strength since I can only wear medium armor, but I could always swap out a spell for Mage Armor and max Dex. End up better off than medium armor and I'd have better initiative and all that. For only 2 spell points. It's a difficult decision. But then what spell would I drop?
>>
>>54921325
The book says "the spells must be of a level for which you have spell slots."
A Cleric 1 / Druid 19 has level 9 spell slots.
The multiclassing section seemed to focus mainly on wizard/ranger so I may have skimmed over something important, but I'm pretty sure it works.
>>
>>54921383
Page 195 of the PHB has a section on what you do when you multiclass spells.

The long and the short of it is you have spell slots of a full caster progression, but you can only prepare the spells that each of your individual class levels could have.
>>
I will DM for a bunch of random nerds I met in a Facebook group this Saturday. How fucked am I?
>>
File: 1502680785140.jpg (119KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
1502680785140.jpg
119KB, 1200x900px
>>54921383
>>
>>54921415
As in actual sitting around a table or R20: Autism League?
>>
>>54921415
Depends how attractive you are and how pent up they are.
>>
>>54921442
We both know he's completely safe from unexpected sex.
>>
>>54921436

Real table stuff. I don't want to play D&D online.

>>54921442

I'm quite attractive. They seem decent enough, but average-nerd sort of. I'm worried about meeting Thay Guy. I've only DM'ed once before and just want to have fun with a bunch of normal people.
>>
File: 1502299146088.png (327KB, 464x502px) Image search: [Google]
1502299146088.png
327KB, 464x502px
>>54921465
>and just want to have fun with a bunch of normal people.
And you're choosing TTRPG as a form of recreational activity?
>>
File: 1420894043723.png (256KB, 536x468px) Image search: [Google]
1420894043723.png
256KB, 536x468px
>>54921465
>I'm quite attractive.
>I make my social friends through the intarwebs
ok
>>
>>54921481

Well, I like D&D. I had to abandon playing Warhammer because I couldn't stand playing with über nerds for however long a game would last.

>>54921515

My normal friends are not (surprise surprise!) into stuff like D&D.
>>
File: 1384395184693.png (270KB, 505x477px) Image search: [Google]
1384395184693.png
270KB, 505x477px
>>54921530
>I had to abandon playing Warhammer because I couldn't stand playing with über nerds
So you picked Dungeons and Dragons as a way to get away from that.

What ARE your "normie" friends into, Mr Attractive?
>>
>>54921229
Anyone?
>>
>>54921565
Don't waste your money on digital copies of hardcover stuff.
>>
>>54921465
Is this the new social norm?
>>
>>54921606
Seconding this.
>>
>>54921564
>>54921607

/shrug, should've just called myself fat and ugly so you guys wouldn't feel so offended.
>>
>>54921606
B-but if I don't have it on my phone, I may have to spend time looking at LIVING PEOPLE....
>>
>>54921631
>/shrug

What the hell
>>
>>54921606
>>54921624
I wanna verify that it is just a copy.no additional tools etc.Im a new DM and the back and forth between pdf and having to go back and look at the map all the time really slows me(and the party down)
>>
File: Marc Anthony.jpg (46KB, 497x298px) Image search: [Google]
Marc Anthony.jpg
46KB, 497x298px
>>54921631
"Hey guyz, I'm pretty attractive and popular, but I really want to play D&D, just not with Nerds or people with social tics. How can I be sure I won't get saddled with the Socially Unfortunate while I play TTRPG's?"

Honestlynotsureiftrollingorstupid.jpg
>>
File: Octopus with swords.jpg (433KB, 1383x1037px) Image search: [Google]
Octopus with swords.jpg
433KB, 1383x1037px
>>54921653
Old DM here, I just print out all my notes and monster sheets before each session, and concentrate on making the game entertaining.
>>
>>54921653
Presumably you're playing online? Your $280 would be better spent on a second monitor than D&DB. If you're in person...

>>54921693
Second this.
>>
>>54918349

DM sounds like a cunt in love with secret rule fuckery. My advice is to just avoid the game entirely.
>>
>>54920626
First time I ever played a campaign, we had a fucking useless gnome wizard. He literally did nothing but clamber into, behind, or up anything he could to hide and proceed to do nothing to help. He even outright hindered the rest of us at one point by not only hitching a ride on a caravan, by himself, while everyone was trudging through the desert, but he convinced the caravan leader to leave us behind because "we were bandits lol". Had the gall through all of this to insist his character was lawful good.
>>
>>54918585
>can't use Battle Magic
Why not?
>>
I've introduced a "Lucid God" (like lucid dreaming) in my setting as a lazy political plot point and the party mage is now all but demanding that I fulfill his ambition to achieve godhood.

In my setting the eight greater gods created the world, were kind of disappointed with the various compromises they had to make with the other greater gods during creation, and just kind of abandoned the world in favor of their own favored planes. Lesser gods moved in; they lack the power of creation and can only manipulate the world through godly artefacts and "ineffable contracts made with the elements themselves." Lately these gods are taking less of a fancy to actively interacting with mortals, and they haven't taken tangible form on the planet in mortal living memory.

This new "Lucid God" is a mortal who has achieved a state similar to lucid dreaming by the power of advanced nihilism, kind of like CHIM. This has caused a major disagreement between a republic that acknowledge his divinity, and a neighboring theocratic monarchy who see this guy's claim of divinity as blasphemy. This guy is just a tool to justify a war between the two nations to spice up a kinda slow political game.

The mage has flat out said he wants to achieve this lucid state. I said that the pursuit of this state is a pretty cool plot for his character and that it could make for a decent story. I emphasised that his character would be pursuing this state and that doesn't necessarily mean that he'll achieve it during play or even in an epilogue. This actually pissed him off and he accused me of dangling an objective power upgrade in front of the party without giving them the chance of achieving it. I handwaved it away by saying that this is the only mortal in recorded history who has achieved godhood without somehow appropriating the power of an existing god, and godhood has been a recurring ambition for many historical enemies in this setting. He's not happy with this.

Should I make a compromise?
>>
File: Benevolent Angel.jpg (148KB, 1110x720px) Image search: [Google]
Benevolent Angel.jpg
148KB, 1110x720px
What's a good place to find premade adventures that aren't grimdark shit for a newbie dm?
I'm going to run sunless citadel, but don't know where to go from there.
>>
>>54922197
This depends on what you mean by "grimdark shit", probably just check out Princes of the Apcolypse, it's pretty alright, goes until level 15, and is mostly about elemental cultists and dungeon crawls.

It's supposed to start at level 5, so you'll have to come up with some filler to get them there though.
>>
>>54922231
My players want to be heros of the people. They rolled up 2 paladins, a bard, and a sorcerer.
I'm not thinking dungeon crawls would be their strong suit
>>
>>54919053
>gimped beast master
But anon... UA Beast Conclave >>> PHB Beastmaster
>>
Holy shit, I just played some of the worst DnD in my life. It was at least entertaining so it wasn't a waste of a 46 min drive to my friend's house, but still; worst DnD session ever.

My friend was the DM and 2 acquaintances that I play vidya with on a discord were also there and finally 2 people I didn't know but were friends of the DM. Everyone present knew how to play DnD except one of the acquaintances; this was his first time playing.

So, instead of doing something vanilla like one of the more simple martial classes like fighter or paladin with a simple back story as I thought was tradition among people's first characters, he decided he wanted to be a kitchen.

My friend quickly talked him out of being a kitchen, but now he wanted to be an oven. Now my friend is starting to get annoyed and I starting to get worried about the quality of the game I'm about to play. After, like, and hour and a half of arguing we talk him out of being an oven. Now he is a Warlock who's greatest desire in life is to create/summon a magical oven and who also summons magical kitchen appliances to fight. As you can tell he doesn't really understand the concept that level 1 characters are supposed to be kind of boring and not have special powers (otherwise what's the point of being level 1 right?). At one point I suggested he be a warforged with an oven for a stomach but for some reason he didn't like that idea.

So, as is tradition we start in a tavern but for some reason we never found out (not through lack of trying) we all become unconscious. The oven wannabe said he was gambling with the chef for his oven while everyone else was doing normal "starting in a tavern" things.

We all wake up in a shack with our hand bound together. As we are trying to get ourselves unbound oven guy tries to shoot one of us with his crossbow; apparently his justification was that he wanted the gold for an oven. He rolls 1d4 to see who he shot at, ended up shooting at me, but luckily he missed.
cont.
>>
>>54922231
>It's supposed to start at level 5, so you'll have to come up with some filler to get them there though.
He could run them through the starter set campaign, it conviniently ends at level 5
>>
>>54922146
> I emphasised that his character would be pursuing this state and that doesn't necessarily mean that he'll achieve it during play or even in an epilogue.
Even in an epilogue. Even in the post-game, where I have complete control over the narrative as DM, I might decide you never achieve that goal, and you'll have to deal with it.

I would definitely prefer a simple "no, you can't do that."
>>
File: Fry.jpg (30KB, 384x354px) Image search: [Google]
Fry.jpg
30KB, 384x354px
>>54922361
>It was at least entertaining
Unlike this entire post.
This is how low the standard for (You)s has fallen.
>>
>>54922197
Play Storm King's Thunder. You can start at 1st level and it's about the player characters helping people from crazy giants.
>>
>>54922146
>he accused me of dangling an objective power upgrade in front of the party without giving them the chance of achieving it.
Godhood is not equivalent to gaining a level. It's an epilogue, or if it puts you in contact with dangers others would not detect, a plot coupon. It's not objectively power. If this is how the wizard thinks about the game, that's a huge red flag. The only compromise possible is letting learn the ability and learn it's not useful. Fuck his dumb ideas.
>>
>Can we get a battlemap for this dm?
>I don't see why you need one, it's two hobgoblins in a mess hall
>Yeah but I need to know how far I can move
>You can get to them in this round, or anywhere in this building you'd want to go
>But what about opportunity attacks?
>You caught them off guard and they're stuck in this divider area where the cooking is done, going up to them blocks off their only escape
>Yeah but we need a battle map

Why can't people just use totm?
>>
>>54922387
I'm trying to frame my no as "You as the player know that you can't do that, but that should not stop your character from having that as a goal." His roleplay shouldn't be governed by knowing OC that it's impossible, but I would bet money that if I flat out said no, he would drop the subject IC.
>>
>>54922361
After the DM berates him for attacking a player character (he is still saying he did it for the gold as if he's justified) and figuring out how to unlock the door he says he gets out and locks the door behind him. Thankfully that was too many actions at once so are all able to get out of the shack.

At this point while my character's back is turned he readies to attack me with the butt of his crossbow. Having none of that two of the other party members intercept his attack. By this point we're all fed up with his shit and in the ensuing combat we knock him unconscious. I would continue but apparently this story is boring and I've gotten what I needed to get off my chest off of my chest. For the rest of the session we get some really funny scenarios but all semblance of seriousness has been lost by this point as one of our group is clearly not interested in seriously playing.

>>54922394
>posting a DnD story on the DnD thread is an attempt to get (you)s or something

I'm just trying to see if anything could have been done different man.
>>
>>54922479
It sounds like it's just the one person who's being immature as fuck. Talk to the rest of the party and the DM and say that
>>
>>54922426
I have driven home the fact that this power is an actual bane for the Lucid God, as his gaining of this power is linked to him losing faith in the gods and accepting the worthlessness of reality. To him, this is the universe giving him the ultimate gut punch, but the mage doesn't see how the guy doesn't relish this power and use it to be a god that means something to the people. In my head, this is the kind of thing that if you deliberately pursue it to achieve godhood, then you're bound to fail as that's just the way it goes.
>>
>>54916307
I cannot imagine how triggered I get when I read the word Mearls. Holy fuck, how does this man function?
>>
I'm the guy that wanted to make a prizefighter character a few weeks ago. Someone suggested that I homebrew a primal path rather than refluff monk or use the shitty pugilist homebrew. I ended up making it, is anyone interested in looking at it?
>>
>>54922541
Might as well post it and ignore the heat instead of asking and getting shit on upfront
>>
>>54922441
Tell him the truth and be done with it.
He may stop pursuing it in-character, but you're going to have to deal with that. The alternative is tricking him into pursuing a long-term goal you know he can never achieve, and he will not thank you for it when he finds out.
Player sanity is more important than in-character realism one hundred percent of the time.
>>
>>54922570
Fair point
http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/rJ8oz0G_-
I'm pretty sure Cross Counter and Knock Out aren't balanced correctly, so I'm open to suggestions on how to change those two or any other problems you guys see.
>>
>>54922441
>I'm just trying to see if anything could have been done different man.
Start by not playing with literal mental retards
>>
File: intredasting.jpg (51KB, 685x567px) Image search: [Google]
intredasting.jpg
51KB, 685x567px
>>54922509
>I cannot imagine how triggered I get

When his crap is published in official play hardcover format, then I'll give a single shit. Until then it's just your average poorly-thought-out Homebrew.
>>
I'm wondering how versatile you would allow the casting of the spell Light to be.

For example, what constitutes "one object" when it comes to targets for Light? May I cast it on a bag of sand? How about a rock and then I crush the rock into gravel/sand?

May I cast Light on a part of an item? Say I have a glass orb mounted on a staff. May I cast Light on only the orb or staff portion of this object separately? Do I have to cast Light on the entire thing and if yes to this, what if I then separate them? Could I cast light on stick and break it in half to have two sources of light? If no, what happens?

I get that these are probably questions best asked of my DM, but I'm simply hoping to get some insight on how people interpret the intent of this spell.
>>
>>54922621
He's still listened to as an authority about the game, and he's still an active lead on it. I'm baffled.
>>
>>54922594
Seems really weird to give core Monk options to the Barbarian instead of just building it out of the Monk.

>>54922621
Isn't a ton of the UA stuff going into the next book release?
Isn't UA explicitly untested Homebrew content meant for community playtesting and not serious consideration?
>>
>>54922633
>May I cast it on a bag of sand?
Yes.
>How about a rock and then I crush the rock into gravel/sand?
Yes, then the spell ends.
>How about a rock and then I crush the rock into gravel/sand?
I'd rule that you could.
>Do I have to cast Light on the entire thing and if yes to this, what if I then separate them?
The spell would end.
>Could I cast light on stick and break it in half to have two sources of light? If no, what happens?
The spell ends.
>>
>>54922684
>Isn't UA explicitly untested Homebrew content meant for community playtesting and not serious consideration?
It is, by definition, not homebrew. It's official, unpublished playtest material.
>>
>>54916307
running an evil campaign, how long do you guys think it'll be until the barbarian eats an NPC?
>>
>>54922634
>>54922684
Exactly, it's unplaytested ideas that have gotten playtesting, and are being rebalancd (and they took their time IMO).

Even if "Greyhawk Initiative (lel) shows up as a Variant Rule, who gives a single shit? Do your players beat you up and force you to use all the Variants?
>>
>>54922684
I wanted to stress the more brutish and relentless nature of the prizefighter as opposed to the agile and elegant monk, so that's why I wanted to make them hp tanks instead.
>>
>>54922701
>It's official,
>unpublished playtest
Pick one and only one, you can't have both.
>>
>>54922709
He's doing it already.
>>
File: 1493889542136.png (2MB, 1200x905px) Image search: [Google]
1493889542136.png
2MB, 1200x905px
Warlocks should have been an INT based caster.
>>
>>54922709
He'll probably be eating man-jerky when he meets the party
>>
>>54922727
Are you retarded? "Official" and "published" are not mutually exclusive
>>
>>54922432
I dunno mate. 5e actually handles totm well. I DM totm as a standard and only use battlemaps in special situations. Got my players used to it and it's very fluid.
you know what's really crazy? I run mostly hack'n'slash
>>
>>54922727
You're a fucking retard. Published and official aren't the same thing
>>
>>54922767
Shit, I mean "unpublished"
>>
>>54922764
>INT
-Wizard
-Warlock
>WIS
-Cleric
-Druid
>CHA
-Bard
-Sorcerer

It just makes sense.
>>
>>54922767
>>54922826
It's unpublished, it's not useable in AL play, it's not "official"
Mearls could post an article in UA suggesting everyone play the game with a chicken tied to their head, and you guys would squall that he's destroying the game somehow.
>>
>>54922865
>AL play
Who cares
>>
>>54922865
>It's unpublished, it's not useable in AL play, it's not "official"
It's literally official because it's content produced by WoTC. It is literally unpublished because it has not yet been published in a book. What is so hard to understand about this?
>>
>>54922855
>>54922764
>making a pact with some otherworldly being because you are too dumb to learn magic like a wizard
>int
>>
File: Kurgan.jpg (6KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
Kurgan.jpg
6KB, 259x194px
>>54922898
Your ass-pain at it's very existence?
>>
>>54922764
Nah, you're bargaining and negotiating to get your power, to do that, you need Charisma.
>>
>>54922764
Warlocks should have been a constitution based caster. Because channeling foreign energies should take a toll on your body.
>>
>>54922927
This. You are a lousy Cultist, wandering the world without even the support of other Cultists, being tolerated by saner individuals who worked for their skills.
Int, I don't think so Tim.
>>
>>54922932
What does this even mean
>>
>>54922855
>>54922764
I think I understand your intent, I also think it's dumb that there's one a single int-based full caster in the game. I just don't think Warlock is the choice for it, I agree with >>54922927
>>
You fags are using the wrong words. UA is unpublished, but it's non-canon.
>>
>>54922855
balls I really like how this balances out

>>54922940
always made sense to me that someone making deals with the devel would be +Int. Gotta be smart enough to read the fine print and make sure his exact wording isn't going to trick you later.
Seems weird that you'd be able to out-charisma literally Cthulu.
>>
So our DM is allowing us to level two classes to 20, instead of 10.

I want to run a Barbarian who uses magic to amp up his attacks. Is Warlock or Cleric better for it? I don't want to go too deep into mixmaxing, but I still want to run good shit.
>>
>>54922964
>Gotta be smart enough to read the fine print and make sure his exact wording isn't going to trick you later.
Except it is, and the devil isn't going to put forth a contract without some fucking-over-of-you in the first place. Someone smart enough to actually analyze a contract with a devil for traps would never accept one.
>>
>>54922927
Having dark-sourced magical power doesn't particularly strike me as "force of will" either.
>>
>>54922964

You're not out charismaing him in a game of wits. You're forcing your will into his realm and resisting his madness, impressing him and being given some power to see how far you can take it.
>>
>>54922986
Isn't that pretty much exactly what it is though??
>>
So what's the difference between a halberd and a Glaive?
>>
>>54922980
Try stone sorcerer. If not, cleric can work well with the free prepared spells that come with your domain
>>
>>54922980
Anti Paladin, whatever that subclass is. Raging smites all day long. Otherwise probably blade lock.
>>
>>54922954
Listening to people squall about how Mearls bad-touched them with a shittily thought-out page of "content" fresh from his ass, which you didn't pay for, aren't even obligated to READ, let alone use, and exists purely as a way to show his bosses that he's still alive, it's frankly tiring.

Yet.
Every Single Time.
>>
>>54922964
Warlocks aren't guys that are trying to outsmart demons. They are just people that seek power and take any form of it they can, disregarding the long term issues that will come with it.
If you are making a deal with a devil then go 'um it says you get my soul in the small print and I'm not down with that', the devil isn't going to go 'Oh, you got me! here is a contract that has no disadvantages for you!'
>>
>>54922980
I'm told Bardbarian is a pretty kickass combo. For 3.5, I'm not sure how good it would be in 5th, but a going full ham on a crowd of guys while singing to inspire your allies courage is metal as fuck.
>>
File: Sherman.png (87KB, 205x203px) Image search: [Google]
Sherman.png
87KB, 205x203px
>>54922980
>So our DM is allowing us to level two classes to 20, instead of 10.
Amusing, as the game barely contains content suitable for 13th level characters.

You should try to sweet-talk him into letting you level 3 classes to 20 instead.
>>
>>54923002
Ask ten medievalists and you'll get ten different answers. The real answer is that the nomenclature is inconsistent and polearms come in every shape and size with fuzzy borders between each one. In general, glaive heads are one big slashing surface, and halberd heads are a big piercing spike with a small axe-like blade under it.
>>
>>54923002
The culture they were used in.
>>
>>54923002
I've been under the impression that a glaive has a blade that's like a curved sword, while a halberd has a blade that's like an axe.
>>
>>54923022
Ok, I don't see how that's relevant to what I was saying at all though
>>
>>54923002
Apparently in 3.5, Halberds can do piercing or slashing damage, while glaives can only do slashing. Glaives are also a little lighter and Halberds can be used to make trip attacks.
>>
>>54916389
Someone actually published a guide to playing Middle-earth in 5e, even though it's a terrible idea. Middle-earth operates on several assumptions that are totally incompatible with D&D, everything from how the planes of existence work to what spells can accomplish and who can use them.
>>
>>54923002
There used to be 20 different polearms back in the day.
Including 2 or 3 of them in 5e is a way to keep the Grognards from REEEEEing and keeping everyone up all night.

You might as well ask what the difference between a Warhammer and a Longsword is, because in general it's B/S/P.
>>
>>54923057
>Ask ten medievalists and you'll get contact Autism.
Fix'd.
>>
>>54923147
I miss 2e's giant list of like 700 weapons to pick from
>>
>>54923172
>700 weapons
That sounds rad, if not horribly unbalanced
>>
Why aren't their functional baseline differences between B/S/P?

ex: B is +1 to hit, S is + die roll on crit, P is crit on 19. Suddenly the difference between Longswords and Warhammers matter in more situations than fighting skeleton!
>>
>>54923189
Because that level of minutia is antithetical to the design philosophy of 5e
If you want an autistic amount of crunch and edge-cases, play 3.pf
>>
>>54922946
Oh man, that'd be interesting. But also a bit concerning—CON is very powerful already.
>>
>>54923172
>>54923186

Check out 3.0's Arms and Equipment Guide. Lots of need stuff.

>>54923189
3.5 did this. Sort of, blades had a higher crit chance, piercing had higher chance or multiplier, and bludgeoning wasn't resisted by anything.
>>
>>54923172
I wouldn't mind that for inspiration, but honestly you can reflavor just about any weapon in 5e without too much trouble.
>>
Thinking of playing an Arcane Trickster for a Ravenloft group. Anyone got any good tips/fun uses for Mage Hand?
>>
>>54923203
>autistic amount of crunch

but that isn't almost any amount of crunch whatsoever.
>>
>>54923233
Yeah, but it means hellfire lock could be a sub class and drain HP or con on every shot without completely gimping the character. A proper hellfire lock in a combat heavy situation could be brutally drained and just spamming cantrips. Even make the hellfire damage unable to be healed in any way because it's both willing and evil, and you get it back when you beg for it that night so you can keep doing your work.
>>
>Use Sleight of Hand/Prestidigitation to convince the party members/NPC there's a ghost stalking them (easy in Ravenloft).

>Grab the asses of all the female NPCs/Players.
>>
>>54923301
Ooooh. A subclass that decreases max HP by the level of the spell slot, that's a cool idea.

Not sure how to balance that with warlock's scaling slot level though.
>>
>>54923280
Mage Hand Legerdemain is great for pickpocketing in busy areas, assuming you're a thief. It's also good for causing distractions like knocking on a door to get a guard to get up and answer it. Mage hand is already tons of fun and has hundreds of practical applications and arcane trickster makes it so much better
>>
>>54923348
>and has hundreds of practical applications
Name 5.
>>
Mystics are going to be int based anyway, so Q4 2018 there will be something other than wizards, EK and AT
>>
>>54923362
oh, and artificer
>>
>>54923354
Pickpocketing, setting off traps so you don't have to risk disarming them, opening doors and chests from a distance, silently signaling an ally by putting the mage hand in front of them, causing distractions.
I definitely exaggerated when I said "hundreds" but I can't stress the usefulness of a cantrip minor telekinesis enough
>>
>>54923354
>pretending to be a jedi
>interacting with dangerous objects from afar
>holding torches ahead of you
>telekinetic theft
>just fucking extending your hand's reach
>>
>>54923362
Mystics are renamed psionics. Psionics just don't mesh with the D&D universe pattern. They're literally "special-snowflake magic users who don't use magic". It disgusts a lot of people and will be rejected.

>>54923372
Artificers aren't full casters.
>>
>>54922197
Get some of the better AL adventures from the trove. S2 is great.
>>
>>54923409
>Mystics are renamed psionics. Psionics just don't mesh with the D&D universe pattern.
You have a source for that? First I've heard of it
>>
>>54923336
I was thinking mostly the Hellfire Blast replacing Eldritch Blast and doing damage to you. Maybe have the slots do their level in CON damage to you. You do have ways of getting temp HPs, so you probably won't kill yourself. And maybe make Hellfire Blast adjustable at higher levels so you can leave yourself with 1HP or whatever.
>>
>>54923433
Have you read the Mystic class? There's a section titled "Psionics" where they get Psionic Talents, Psionic Disciplines and Psi Points. It's pretty obvious that they are, in fact, psionics.
>>
>>54923433
>Mystic (UA): As a student of psionics, you can master and use psionic talents and disciplines...
>>
File: Ripping.jpg (147KB, 701x525px) Image search: [Google]
Ripping.jpg
147KB, 701x525px
>>54923409
>Mystics are renamed psionics
Mystics are Wizards for turbo-autists who don't get enough "Muh Utility" from playing goddamn Wizards.
>>
So we all know that warlocks are designated Eldritch Blast turrets and nothing more in combat.

Any advice to make conbat as a Warlock more fun?
>>
>>54923497
>So we all know that warlocks are designated Eldritch Blast turrets and nothing more in combat.
Fuck off
>>
>>54923497
Simply choose the non-EB spam options.
>>
File: Orpheus.jpg (13KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
Orpheus.jpg
13KB, 480x360px
>>54923497
>Any advice to make conbat as a Warlock more fun?
Do a loud Dr. Orpheus voice while you're Eldritch Blasting shit.
Or play some melee variant of Warlock, everyone will get a chuckle out of you getting your shit pounded in, whichever works.
>>
>>54923531

give me one (1) other option a warlock has that can consistently, persistently, and reliably do more damage
>>
>>54916927
I DM'd this game for about four sessions and a good chunk of my players hated it. I should have been less strict about the prison break, but it took them like 2 sessions to finally escape the Drow camp.
>>
>>54923647
>YOU NEED TO ESCAPE IN A DM APPROVED MANNER
Yeah, you should lighten up on this sort of shit.
>>
>>54923634
There isn't one, but "max damage" isn't the only way to play a Warlock.
>>
>>54923333
>Cramped hallway
>Male Rogue rolls to grab asses
>Male asses
>>
>>54923751
>There isn't one

then my point is proven
>>
>>54923775
There's more to D&D than putting out big numbers in combat.
>>
File: 1381305747200.jpg (9KB, 184x184px) Image search: [Google]
1381305747200.jpg
9KB, 184x184px
>>54923781
Oh Shit.
TRIGGER ALERT ORANGE.
>>
>>54923775
It's literally not though
>>
>>54923781

"roleplay over rollplay" is good but being an active, demonstrable detriment to your party because you are deliberately optimizing yourself poorly, or are taking "creative" but extemely ineffective options ingame, is bad
>>
>>54923841
>stop liking what I don't like
>>
>>54922146
So in all likelihood, he already is the most powerful character in the group, but he wants to also become a literal god and keep playing the ascended character

Honestly, if he keeps bugging you, I suggest you introduce some sort of existentialist mystery cult who reject the lucid god, to make it clearer what the guy's godhood entails, and that it isn't just "reality means nothing lol pls god"
>>
File: Low Quality Bait.jpg (16KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
Low Quality Bait.jpg
16KB, 600x600px
>>54923841
Not minmaxing your character is not at all being a detriment. There's much more to this game than combat you raging autist
>>
>>54923841
This is why you find the balance between fun and effective. Battle Master Fighter over Champion Fighter.

In this case, play a Wizard not a Warlock.
>>
>>54923892
Depends on the group. My party would arguably pick slightly autistic player with mechanically well-thought character over a great roleplayer with meme character options.
>>
>>54923917
I gave the Champion a 18-20 Crit threat at 3rd level, and the world didn't unravel, and everything was Fine.
>>
>>54923841
>Being a detriment
>In 5e
>Even though you're probably massively helpful out of combat
>Even though you making sure you are enjoying yourself creates a contagious feeling of well being to the rest of the table

I don't get it.
>>
>>54923952
>a great roleplayer with meme character options.
Why do you continue to insist that anything except "Eldritch Blast spam" is a meme build? It's not and you just keeping digging your badwrongfun hole even deeper
>>
File: received_1463599337059865.png (106KB, 600x607px) Image search: [Google]
received_1463599337059865.png
106KB, 600x607px
every other thread with this shit i swear to god
>>
>>54923988
I'm not even the same guy, this was my first post in this trail of discussion and when I play (which is rare, I usually DM), EB turret is actually my go-to. I just wanted to point out that "roleplay>>combat efficiency" is a wrongful assumption because it isn't always the case. There are plenty of mechanics-heavy games.
>>
>>54916927

We're all friends, so no problem with that.

Any recomendation about the comp of the group? As I said, we currently have a Goliath Barbarian and a Halfling Bard, our 3rd player hasn't decided yet and our master is looking for a 4th player (if not he would play as a filler)
>>
>>54924013
Honestly this is all WotC's fault. They had all the chances in the world to get 5e 100% right and they still fucked it up with shit like Eldritch Turret.
>>
One of my favorite characters I ever played was a hippie Fey Tome warlock goblin. While not Pact of the Chain, he took Find Familiar and had an ethereal fey hummingbird as his familiar.

Virtually all of my force spells, including eldritch blast, were flavored to be these trippy, soft-violet psychadelic spears or whips of semi-solid mist, but I spent most of my spell usage messing with enemies' perception, emotions, and actions. It was like an anti-bard, debuffing foes with weird fey trickery.
>>
>>54922946

CON casters never work.
>>
>>54922957
Yeah INT is really weak atm in 5e. But with the potential addition of Artificers and Mystics, there will be enough classes relying on INT for my satisfaction (INT will still be dump for every other class in general tho)
>>
>>54924377
I make Int more valuable by relying crafting on it as a central mechanics feature
>>
>>54923333
Gotta use that Arcane Trickster invisible mage hand
>>
>>54924377
>Artificers
not a caster
>Mystics
snowflake turbo-autist caster class with zero place in D&D
>>
File: pb2.jpg (137KB, 1600x871px) Image search: [Google]
pb2.jpg
137KB, 1600x871px
>>54924377
INT should have always granted extra Languages/Game/Tool Proficiencies and the like
>>
>>54924406
>>Artificers
>not a caster
What
>>
>>54924406
Artificers are 1/3 casters, but sure. And nice opinion on mystics bro
>>
>>54924431
They're a 1/3 Caster technically..
>>
>>54924440
..exactly
>>
File: Berserker.pdf (1009KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Berserker.pdf
1009KB, 1x1px
>>54924407
I should also add that I've used "STR grants +1 Hit/+2 dmg" per step, and it's worked wonderfully for the last 4 levels of my campaign.

Now Sword and Board fighters and Two Weapon Rangers are actually viable, and STR is appropriately weighted against DEX.
>>
>>54924438
>1 /3 caster
>Can't be a Frankenstein character that the height of his power puts his hand on a manual of golem and shouts IT'S ALIIIIIIVE!

Why bother...
>>
>>54924438
If 1/3rd casters mattered then Arcane Tricksters and Eldritch Knights would also be important INT based casters making INT important.

They aren't and they don't.
>>
>>54924470
Yeah, they should have been half-caster, half-crafter.

And made the robot its own subclass. We could have had buff/control alchemists, DPS mechanist, and action-economy tilting tank robot. Oh well.
>>
>>54924451
We're sword and board fighters and STRangers not viable before?
>>
File: faustuswoodcutlarge.gif (122KB, 738x630px) Image search: [Google]
faustuswoodcutlarge.gif
122KB, 738x630px
>>54922927
>>54922947
>basis for warlock is Doctor Faustus who is established as a master of philosophy, medicine, law and theology

this meme is dumb
>>
>>54924532
Were*
>>
Hey, starting a new campaign and my DM told us that all official WotC Material is approved, other than The Player's Hand Book and Unearthed Arcana, is there anything else I could use?
>>
>>54924532
A Strength Ranger sacrifices AC, improved Stealth and Acrobatics, the most critical saving throw and Ranged versatility, simply to do 1d8 damage over 1d6 with a shortsword.
So they weren't terribly good, no.
>>
>>54924542
This is exactly how the Warlock should have been constructed.
>>
File: Michael Moorcock.jpg (28KB, 432x366px) Image search: [Google]
Michael Moorcock.jpg
28KB, 432x366px
>>54924542
That's like claiming the basis for D&D Wizards is Merlin the Magician.

Warlock has a lot of varying influences, just like all the full casters.
>>
>>54922946
I'm drinking and feeling a bit creative. CON Warlock piqued my interest. How about something like:
Flavor is something about voracity or blood magic, the patron either leeches your strength or teaches you how to fuel stuff with your own body.
1st level feature changes your spellcasting stat from Cha to Con. It also introduces a mechanic: if you want to be able to cast Xth level spells, you must decrease your CON by X-1 for the day. Additionally whenever you take a long rest, your CON reduction is gone and if you suffer CON reduction, you regain 1d4 CON.
Additional 1st level feature: Whenever you cast a spell or cantrip that deals damage, you can increase the damage dealt to one target to 2d8 by expending 1 hit die or reducing CON by 1 (if this changes modifier, you lose HP).

6th level feature: You get better at being the only one to harm you. Advantage vs attribute reduction, max health reduction and maybe poison.

10th level feature: Transfer/sap. Other than spellcasting limit, whenever your CON is reduced, you can transfer that loss to a willing ally within 5ft. You can also transfer it to an unwilling target which gets a CON save to resist.

14th level feature: Mastery. Your CON reduction required for level slots is halved, which means you can cast 5th level for -2 CON.
>>
>>54924542
Warlocks were actually supposed to be Int casters, striking bargains for Eldritch knowledge and shit, but it got switched over to Cha in playtesting because all the grognards complained about "not muh warlock"
>>
>>54924598
and now looking at this post - goddamn I should have done proofreading. With the 1st level feature what I meant was: you choose to burn your CON for spell slots at the end of long rest, and you additionaly regain 1d4 CON if it was reduced by any other source. (not sure if any monsters do it in core but the other patron feature does it).
>>
File: Thulsa_Doom.jpg (64KB, 450x576px) Image search: [Google]
Thulsa_Doom.jpg
64KB, 450x576px
>>54924542
This is the 5e Warlock.
>>
>>54924623
How about just this:

You burn your hit die for a number of levels of Spell slots no greater than 5?
A 5th level spell burns up 5 hit die
>>
File: Shitty hombrew.pdf (634KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Shitty hombrew.pdf
634KB, 1x1px
Unsatisfied with whatever shaman I could find I made my own
this is my first try
tell me how bad this is and any better wording I could use/better names
>>
>>54924637
>>54924593
>>54924562
Not that guy, but it's literally called "a Faustian deal"
>>
Thinking of making a half elf bard is
16 a good stat array or should i drop str to 8 and bring int or Wis to 12?
>>
>>54924648
HD are more long term resource, since CON is good for giving max HP, I wanted to balance CON-spellcaster by forcing him to give up something for it, making a risk-and-reward kind of archetype. Losing HD might fuck you over long-term but it's definitely not as flashy and probably less crippling than I intended.
>>
This shouldn't be /5eg/ it should just be /warlock/
>>
>>54924674
None of it matters. You're a Bard, at some point you can't fail skill checks

Maybe pump dex for AC, but all you have to worry about is maxing charisma
>>
>>54924674
Increase WIS. Get expertise in perception if you want
>>
>>54924694
Good. Masochism is a bad concept for just about any game, it's why it's almost always just dropped. Make something you're good at instead of being terrible at something for the supposed exchange of goodness at something that someone else is supposed to do.
>>
>>54922709
*sigh* it's ALWAYS cannibalism with evil barbarians. Just once, I would like to see an evil barbarian horse thief or thief guild enforcer, or literally ANYTHING other than cannibal.
>>
>>54924772
Got a Storm Rager Pirate Captain in my backburner
>>
>>54924830
you'll never get to play it.
>>
>>54920058
Still undecided. Probably casting a cantrip, making an attack, and summoning fey allies.
>>
>>54924882
I'm the DM. I'll play it whenever I want
>>
>>54924919
Give it a misty step legendary action. Or better, mid-range teleport. You can price it at 2, or even at 3, but it's still worth it, and the tears shall never cease to flow. All my legendary-action-teleporting bosses were amongst the most memorable bossfights. As for summoning allies: an interesting option is to make it an alterable action, either summon moar or heal already summoned alies and itself a little.
>>
>>54924955
the second you decide to play it, your players will want to switch DM's, no UA.
>>
>>54922621
This is clearly him just making up some bullshit because he forgot monthly UAs were a thing and he needs to squeeze one out in a few hours. Obviously, no one is supposed to take this seriously. It's not even "poorly thought out homebrew", it's him marking the scantron sheet straight down the line because not filling it out is worth even fewer points.

As long as he doesn't fuck up with the UAs in XGE and gets to work retooling Mystic and Artificer, I don't give a shit. He should probably just NOT release UA rather than releasing obviously lazy UA, though.
>>
>>54924994
I'm sorry if it's not the case for you, but my players are pretty happy with their campaign, and enjoy the ocasional NPC with a special glint in his eye that reminds them they are far from the only adventurers in the world.
>>
>>54924709
Is that just lore bards or valor bards as well?
>>
>>54924992
I'm worried he might end up having too many options. I already gave him Tree Stride as part of his movement, could easily switch it to a Legendary Action.

But it does bring the question of what the hell is he supposed to do during his turns. He's got a plethora of spells, plus decently damaging attacks, and then out of turn he can attack more, cast cantrips, teleport away and summon allies? For once, if I give him those options, casting cantrips becomes useless since his other options are far better.
>>
Is discussion of 5e homebrew welcome here? Or is this system perfect and homebrew discussion frowned upon?
>>
>>54925137
Do whatever's optimal or at least very powerful if you don't want to utterly fuck over your players. The other things that are worse are either kept as super-situational backups or are just badly designed and you should either improve or trim them (if you don't, you'll just ignore them: waste of statblock space).
>>
>>54924919
Well, he's got the hit points of a paper tissue, so if you want to make a battle out of it where he casts any of those spells, you better double that or give him minions. Serious minions

Aditionally, look the Warlock of the Archfey class features.
>>
>>54925178
This. They get their big bad mean hasted fighter with a great sword of +dicks to go nova on them and imagine their shock when it as a reaction simply teleports somewhere else and stays invisible until his turn and they have to contend with 12 fomorian giants
>>
>>54925302
>>54925302
>>54925302
>>54925302
New thread.
>>
>>54925165
Everyone is jaded against homebrew because most creative types are whiny crybabies who can't take criticism, and most homebrew is garbage. Feel free to post, someone will look at it, but if it sucks and they tell you it sucks don't be a bitch about it.
>>
So I had an idea for some 5e homebrew as a person who's played 5th edition so much and is getting tired of the standard classes.
In 3.5e it felt like there was so much customization that no 2 characters were really the same. Backgrounds/Race/Class/Archetypes add a lot of potential variation but the problem is that backgrounds and race are chosen at 1st level and archetypes are chosen at 3rd level and for the rest of the game you're just along for the ride with no customization to speak of besides feats.
Which brings me to my second point: Feats suck.
What if characters could select other classes class features instead of feats whenever they got an ability score improvement. Prerequisites would include the level of the class feature and the multiclass requirement for the class they're borrowing from.

Would you play in a game that adopted this homebrew? What are the positives and negatives of taking class features as feats in relation of balance and customization?
>>
>>54922855
Plus it means each stat has roughly one half caster.

>WIS
Ranger

>CHA
Paladin

>INT
Eldritch Knight and Arcane Trickster, counting each as half
>>
>>54923841
This may happen in other systems but 5e has tight enough mechanics so that even unoptimized and optimized characters are on relatively even footing.
>>
>>54926643
Not really. It's better about it than 3.5, but say, a PAM + Sentinel battlemaster fighter will be very obviously superior to something like a tiefling champion who picked no combat feats
>>
File: 1496245976026.png (266KB, 665x574px) Image search: [Google]
1496245976026.png
266KB, 665x574px
>>54924013
whats wrong with the eldritch stuff?
Thread posts: 370
Thread images: 32

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.