[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - D&D Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 348
Thread images: 36

File: hWnlV6c.jpg (68KB, 611x807px) Image search: [Google]
hWnlV6c.jpg
68KB, 611x807px
>Unearthed Arcana: Three-Pillar Experience
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-ThreePillarXP.pdf

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Alternate Trove:
https://dnd.rem.uz/5e%20D%26D%20Books/

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread >>54901931

What's your favorite Sorcerous Origin or Arcane Tradition?
>>
File: dwarfbonds.jpg (17KB, 264x200px) Image search: [Google]
dwarfbonds.jpg
17KB, 264x200px
>>54908566
>that doesn't stop anyone from playing mountain dwarf fighters
What the fuck else am I gonna do, NOT play a Dwarf?
>>
>>54908593
Hill dwarf supposedly is the conclusion most would make
>>
>>54908593
Of course, not you play the fuck out of that dwarf.
Just making a point that redundant proficiencies is a stupid reason to disparage a character.

>>54908616
IDK, I like my fighters with +2 strength.
>>
>>54908616
This 17 Str (18 once I take something like Shield Master) ain't for show.
>>
Does the trove not have Princes of the Apocalypse, or am I just blind?
>>
>>54908649
Just blind.
>>
>>54908690
Oh, it's under elemental evil

Thanks friend
>>
Is there any ruling for hiding things with mage hand legerdemain? If the invisible mage hand can completely palm an item, is the item also invisible?
>>
>>54908756
>is the item also invisible
No. Mage Hand isn't light-bending, it's just force.
>>
>>54908535
Wild Magic
>>
I'm considering multiclassing my Necromancy Wizard with Undying Warlock. He just reached Wizard 5. So, flavor speaking, how could I go about explaining this begetting of am Undying patron?
>>
>>54908831
Your patron reaches out to you after taking notice of your potential with promises of tapping into your potential even further.
>>
Guys, two questions, please.

What is D&D next? I only just got into D&D 5e, and I'm seeing some D&D Next stuff. Is it a new edition, an expansion, or something different?

Second question. I've DM'ed once before for a group of friends. It went well! This Saturday I'm going to DM "Wolves of Welton" for a bunch of average nerds I haven't met before. How fucked am I? What should I do with new groups?
>>
>>54908860
I figured something easy like that could be done.

>>54908893
D&D Next from what research I've done was the codename for 5E during development.
>>
I just bought the upcoming DM screen. Did I dun goofed? They say they'll send it around September 18th.
>>
>>54908535

Guys, where do I find some decent pre-made characters? I want to run a lvl 3 adventure for new players and just giving them characters is easier and faster. Are there any good resources for that? I've found some ok stuff on google, but nothing that strikes me as great.
>>
>>54909277
write down every character in star wars episode 4
roll a dice to decide which backstory to blatantly steal
>>
>>54908893
D&D Next was just 5e's codename. Same shit.
I dunno much about new groups, but if they're new to the system a session zero might be beneficial.
>>
A character was entered into a contract with a Fey Lord.

The character died and was reincarnated as a character of the opposite sex.

Would the Fey Lord know that it's still them?
>>
>>54909368
probably
>>
>>54909277
There's some prebuilt characters in the trove. They're comparable to the level 1 ones that come with the starter set and have sheets that go up to level 10 or something. Just grab the appropriate level
>>
>>54909368
Depends on the terms of the contract, you know if you owed money/favors they'd have some way to track you down.
>>
>>54909330
>a dice
>>
>>54909386
The Lord gave the guy a pair of weapons to act as his champion, and told him to bring a certain book to him, but no real contract was signed.

I wanted to ask because the player is trying his hardest to get out of the deal with the guy and is hoping this sudden genderbend will save him from being an Archfey's minion.
>>
>>54909453
Is now champion of Lord's magical realm. For real though, s/he's still carrying the weapons? No chance of escaping shit.
>>
>>54909381

These are great, thanks for the tip!
>>
>>54909506
Yeah, I'm trying to avoid any magical realm stuff.

The player may be able to use his deception to convince the Lord that she actually killed the previous wielder. That may be interesting.
>>
What level would you expect to fight something like this?

Humanoid-Human
LE
HP:145
AC:20
Move Speed 30ft
Darkvision
Resistance to non magic weapons
Immune to Fire and Necrotic Damage
Immune to mind altering magic
2 attacks with +10 to hit
2d6 greatsword+8(+1d6 fire& 1d6 necrotic)

May Also make one spell attack per turn, which may be combined with a melee attack.

Hold Person/ 3 a day (15 to save)
Fire Ball/ 3 a day 8d6
Contagion/ 1 a day

Leg. Actions:
Can choose to succeed on one failed save (once)

Stats
22 Str
12 Dex
16 Con
16 Int
18 Wis
16 Cha
>>
File: image.jpg (257KB, 1050x900px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
257KB, 1050x900px
Who's planning on buying XGE?
>>
>>54909592
I am. I buy every splatbook so my DM doesn't REE about things he forgot exists.
>>
>>54909592
I'm planning on downloading the pdf whenever someone uploads it.
>>
>>54909644
Same
>>
>>54909592
A friendly guy I know online preordered it for me via Amazon. Even if he hadn't I would have scrounged together pennies to order it anyway, I'm excited for it.
>>
>>54908860
If you don't want to play a straight pact warlock and roll with something more like the suggested GOOlock fluff, you could have tapped into something while researching a "dead" god - I imagine most appropriate patrons spend a lot of time dead or inactive but should still be great wells of power.
>>
Setting up random encounter tables. I want there to be a very very rare chance for the party to be noticed by something like a Roc - a sort of apex predator of an area that is certainly too powerful for the party to handle, but it's in an area where they would be able to take cover and wait it out.

But I don't want to give them full exp for just hiding in a cave and slinging arrows/cantrips at it and I'm sure they're going to say something like "The Roc gave up and flew away so we get exp right?"

What do I do in response to this?
>>
>>54909592
It really depends on what's in the book. I'll almost never buy a book if it's only for some character options, but if it has something useful I would like to keep around for reference reasons I will
>>
>>54908535
Storm or Dragon, not that there's many Sorc options that are official yet. Hoping for Phoenix.
>>
>>54909678
This could also stop your GM from fucking you if they're that kind of person
>>
>>54909697
Have them find treasure/adventure in the cave. Then they won't mind not getting exp.
>>
>>54909592
They seem to be wanting to improve their mechanics and genuinely listen to feedback. This is a lot better than most rpg companies.
Definitely.
>>
What is this D&D Beyond I keep hearing about? Are they planning a new edition already?
>>
>>54910073
No, tard
>>
>>54910073
No, it's an online resource WOTC has made, except it's fucking awful and there's free ones out that are way better than it

There's a free version that just has the basic rules
There's subscription stuff that gives you some benifits
You still have to buy all the books online, for the same price. Even if you already own them
>>
>>54910090
Don't be like that. Although >>54910073
seems like a troll.

>>54910073
>>54910107
Orcpub2 is a lot better.
>>
File: Chysamare.pdf (645KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Chysamare.pdf
645KB, 1x1px
I made this Sword as a magical weapon for my party's Ranger as his "magic item."

Thoughts? Too weak for something that he'll have to keep for the whole campaign? Too strong for this level?
>>
Why didn't wizards just hire the orcpub people since they're clearly better at making stuff.
>>
>>54910229
*wielder

It's not super weak I guess? Seems like it could be made a magical type weapon or inherently without attunement? I mean it's made of magic, can they ever be NOT magical even if unattuned? Fire immunity is also just asking for trouble generally.
>>
>>54910393
Because Curse/Twitch has better branding and marketability
>>
So... We want to play Rage of Demons with our group but we aren't sure if we should do LMoP first for the introduction or just go straight to the campaing

At the moment we have a Barbarian, a Bard and the last player still hasn't decided

Any adviced? Should we start with another campaing instead?
>>
>>54910229
I'm confused. It says you get fire resistance at character level 10, but you're resistant to fire regardless with Fire Protection?
>>
I used pointbuy to make a human wizard with 8 16 16 8 8 16 stats (i know im a dirty minmaxer), would it be worth getting the light armor feat or the medium armor feat and moving some of that dex into something else.
>>
If an enemy such as a harpy, has an effect where if you make the save you're immune to the effect for 24 hours, does that mean you're immune to ALL of them?

For example, 1/4 harpies uses it's song, someone saves. Is that person immune to all of their songs now or just the one?
>>
>>54910412
How experienced are you all with 5e or with rpgs?

5e is fun as fuck to play, but the adventure modules do require a fair bit of prep.
>>
>>54910445
sorcerer, not wizard
>>
>>54910229
I'd throw that sword off of a fucking cliff within a week of finding it with that personality.
>>
>>54910445
Wizard with 8 Int?

I'd say no to Light Armor. There are better options for your limited feats than something you can exceed with a first level spell.
>>
>>54910229
>the sword chooses it is weilder
>will help it is cause
Learn how English works before you try to make your shitty homebrew
>>
File: 1404023154723.png (47KB, 169x169px) Image search: [Google]
1404023154723.png
47KB, 169x169px
>DM had my lock form a pact with a Great Old One
>Paladin found out and is constantly telling me that he'll cut me down the first chance he gets so that my 'heresy' doesn't spread among the party
>My Warlock keeps hearing voices in his head

One of our quests involved clearing out a cult in an old church, the second she saw me the leader of the cult fell to her knees and called me "Master". This is going to be a fucking ride.
>>
>>54910509
Sounds pretty cool, as long as the paladin isn't a super dick.
>>
>>54910436
Sorry, the level unlock section is when you get each feature. In my head its that the Weapon is bonding more strongly with you and letting you have access to said features.

>>54910397
I mean, the fire Immunity does't hit until level 19. At that point you're kinda OP no matter what. Being Immune to fire is icing.

As for the Attunement, yeah it would certainly still be Magical without that.

>>54910475
This isn't meant for a murderhobo party, obviously.

>>54910504
Sorry that 2 out of place apostrophes ruined the whole thing for you.
>>
>>54910551
>Sorry that 2 out of place apostrophes ruined the whole thing for you.
If you can't write properly, you clearly aren't competent enough to make decent homebrew. I also read the rest of it and yes, it's garbage.
>>
DM'd for the first time today. Set my party up against a lizardfolk shaman, lizardfolk and crocodile. Then removed the lizardfolk and croc when I realized shaman could summon an allosaurus with conjure animals TWICE.
why was it so fun to terrify my party with this?
>>
>>54910574
k
>>
>>54910598
What is scary about it? Just hit fhe shaman a few time and his oncentration will drop.
>>
Does the first level spell you get from magic initiate get added to your known spells? Say I'm a bard who gets mage armor through the feat, and have already used the free casting, can I cast it again by using a spell slot?
>>
>>54910456

Int I suppose. We have played other settings and already finished our first campaign (a d20modern conversion to 5e) so we want to give a try to an official campaing
>>
>>54910730
Only if you choose your own class spell from MI. Otherwise, you can only cast it through special slot.

http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/sageadvice_feats
>>
>>54910730
Nope. If you pick the same class as you, you can, but if you pick a different one, you can only cast it once per day.
>>
File: Chysamare.pdf (682KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Chysamare.pdf
682KB, 1x1px
Fixed the grammar and spelling, I think.

Can I get some more substantial mechanical feedback? Are the properties still unclear?
>>
>>54910721
the shaman was a cheeky fellah and was far enough away that only some long range attacks could hit and they kept missing. The battle field was kinda pitted against them so they didnt get close until the first allosaurus was down.
>>
>>54909697
In a Conan adventure, while on his own he is stalked by a pack of lions that he cannot fight alone. This leads him into a dark, strange castle to take cover, and the lions fear to give chase within.
Your players flee the Roc, fine, they escape. Now they have something else to find in the cave/temple/castle/whatever that they took cover in. The fleeing should be an introduction to the adventure, not the encounter itself.
>>
>>54910828
Why do you list the wielder as gaining fire resistance twice, you know they don't stack right?
>>
>>54910881
Where is it listed twice? It goes from Resistance at level 10 to Immunity at level 19...
>>
>>54910903
Feature unlock and the list of benefits on the left.

Or is the left side just a better description of everything the sword eventually gives you?
>>
>>54910917
Yes. The Feature unlock is the "Crunchy" part. It's to the point. The left side is the fluffy description of all that.
>>
>>54910454
The wording of the harpy's song from what I'm looking at say "Immune to THIS harpy's song" (emphasis mine).
So you're only immune to the harpy that sang to you already, is what I'd say.
>>
File: jason5_s_by_atroposdios-db21rd3.jpg (178KB, 729x1095px) Image search: [Google]
jason5_s_by_atroposdios-db21rd3.jpg
178KB, 729x1095px
What subclasses are you expecting in Xanthar's Guide to Everything?
>>
give me a character concept to run with, ideally non-evil
>>
>>54911160
Go nuts until you find something you like
http://whothefuckismydndcharacter.com/
>>
>>54911210
dope, thanks
>>
>>54911029
A revised Ranger

A crappier fighter

A overpowered Wizard
>>
I asked in the last thread about my valor bard with fighter 2 splash, should i take a feat or just max my Cha and Dex?
>>
>>54908690
What alignment is this answer /tg/?
>>
>>54909592
I'm fucking addicted to making new characters, so it's a preorder for me.

Which is something I rarely do, so I hope it's worth it.
>>
>>54911335
Chaotic Neutral
>>
>>54910509
Tell that fucking Paladin that his class no longer gives a shit about gods and he can take that heresy and fuck off. Timeless Squid Daddy from Beyond the Veil of Reality is way cooler than whatever birthed-by-consensus-reality dicklicker he might worship for reasons other than spell gain.
>>
>>54910522
It does sounds like the paladin is a super dick though...
>>
File: cratescratescrates.png (2MB, 1526x637px) Image search: [Google]
cratescratescrates.png
2MB, 1526x637px
help
i see boxes in my dreams
>>
>>54910828
A Holy Avenger is preferable.
>>
>>54911391

Don't let it bother you, anon. Instead, you should be more philosophical about this sort of thing. Like Socrates.
>>
>>54911373
>Tell that fucking Paladin that his class no longer gives a shit about gods and he can take that heresy and fuck off
The class is no longer REQUIRED to give a shit about gods. Plenty of paladins can and do act in the name of a deity.
>>
>>54911373
Is GOO generally considered the best patron?
>>
Is there a way to build a badass sword wielding Gish warlock if your dm doesn't allow hexblade? Will it be shit?
>>
>>54911391
Is this RPG Maker?

That would be a pretty cool tool for detailed map building...
>>
>>54910522
Sounds like his DM doesn't know not to hand one character the Sword of Baby Killing, then give another player the Sword of Baby Killer Killing
>>
Do you use any apps to help with DMing? I just found Inspiration Pad Pro, and I'm actually able to get some use out of random tables now.

Aside from that I use a spellbook app and Companions 5e. Anyone else got some that help?
>>
>>54910551
a lot of these features seem very minor, healing 2d8 at level nine really is a small amount, and then upgrading to 2d10 only averages a little bit more health, not very interesting
if you look at the other sentient magic weapons, or just artifacts, in the book they are much more powerful and interesting
the 2d8 healing could easily be 4d8, then upgrade to 4d12
just give straight up fire immunity at level 10, its not really a big deal, skip resistance
around level 19 characters are getting extremely powerful abilities from their classes, so the weapons should have something on par with that, immunity to non-magical weapons, or just pick a 3rd level spell and let them cast it at-will
also you should focus on the image of the weapon, it should stand out
>>
>>54911475
Check this out http://www.mapeditor.org/
I mean yes, you could use libre software andcompletely open map format in actual codey software stuff... but you don't have to. Also would probly have to pick up some free assets from like https://opengameart.org/
>>
>>54910828
A sentient weapon should probably have better awareness of its surroundings than 10ft. The DMG sentient weapons have awareness of their surroundings to 120ft. If you don't want your custom sword being too aware; make it 60ft,
>>
>>54911475

Yeah, it's pretty easy to make maps for online games using it or similar programs/websites. Helpful if you're not artistically inclined or can't find pre-existing maps similar to what you're looking for.
>>
>>54911553
Forced movement does not trigger attacks of opportunity
>>
File: riverboat.png (2MB, 1351x700px) Image search: [Google]
riverboat.png
2MB, 1351x700px
>>54911475
RPGMaker can't do detail well enough. What it can do is give you an easy tile placer. I snapshot that, put it in GIMP, do some pattern and dodging and shit to make it look less like the same few tiles repeated all over, then throw that in Roll20. Then I've got individual images of all the items in the RPGMaker spritesheets that I throw up as tokens.
>>
Are evil actions alone enough to justify an evil alignment, or does the character need to take pleasure in it/not care about it?

Like would evil actions performed as a means to a neutral end mean an evil alignment, or a neutral alignment?
What about evil actions performed as a means to a good end? Would that be evil, neutral, or good? Or would the actions themselves not be evil if they were a means to a good end?
>>
>>54911770
Evil doesn't have to do evil things but does them anyway, failure to do evil is at worst neutral.

Good doesn't have to do good things but does them anyway, failure to do good things is at worst neutral.

You've got a whole different axis of shit when you have a means to an end sort of situation, agency. How capable are they of choosing anything else? If there's no choice then it can't be evil unless they go on without having to do so.
>>
What would be the side effects of surviving solely on Goodberry?
>>
>>54911955
Loss of weight maybe. It say it provides enough nourishment to sustain you for 1 day. People can survive being incredibly skinny.
>>
File: CXBXZcz_d.jpg (11KB, 439x195px) Image search: [Google]
CXBXZcz_d.jpg
11KB, 439x195px
I'm making a oneshot where there's a large number of allied NPCs, so I'm going to be rolling for their personalities rather than making 70+ NPCs with distinct backgrounds I'm going to make a simple 3d20 NPCgen table.

Is there any of those already?

Pic semi-related, a system of "1d20 for alignment, 1d20 for base personality, 1d20 for quirks" or something.
>>
>>54911955
Didn't Steve Jobs die from an all fruit diet? The worst thing I think that would happen in the short term is going back to normal food would make shitting unpleasant for a little while
>>
>>54912012
No he died from cancer.
>>
>>54912012
No, he died from getting cancer and refusing treatment.
>>
>>54911987
What if you eat more than one a day?
>>
>>54911770
>Are evil actions alone enough to justify an evil alignment
Literally all that matters. Hating that you're doing evil doesn't make it (or you) less evil. Doing evil for greater goods also doesn't absolve you of evil.
You can only be touched by good or evil based on the immediate actions you perform; anything that arises as a removed consequence of that is on someone or something else.

>evil wizard is concentrating on a spell that will kill 30 children
>he's also standing on a platform with half of them
>he can beat you in a straight fight, but you can cut a rope that drops this platform into magma
>you can kill the evil wizard, save 15 children, and foil his future plans
Still evil. You just killed 15 kids. If you'd let the wizard go on and do his thing, you wouldn't have done any evil yourself. Child killing's all on him, and only action counts, not failure to act.
Higher forces would also prefer you not succumb to a "greater good" mentality. It's super uninteresting when any evil action can be handwaved as being good in the long run, and they all can if you want to get twisty enough. Oh, I'll wage a terrible world war and conquer everyone so we can end war, how fucking original. Weird how you've never seen a still-good angel try that shit, huh.
>>
File: badberry.jpg (17KB, 236x272px) Image search: [Google]
badberry.jpg
17KB, 236x272px
>>54912025
What if you ate ALL the goodberries? There's like up to 40 a day per caster?
>>
>>54912008
What do Pokemon natures have to do with this post
>>
File: drdruid.jpg (725KB, 576x736px) Image search: [Google]
drdruid.jpg
725KB, 576x736px
>>54911955
Diarrhea, kidney stones, high blood sugar (and diabetes), vision problems, massive weight loss, bone weakness.

Source: licensed DD specializing in veterinary gynecology
>>
What are some pranks I can pull on my party with pixies?

I already want to drop rose petals on the cleric of chauntea (Shield has a rose painted on it for holy symbol) and mess with the bard's viol tuning. Maybe have all the Fighter's straps holding his weapons to him loosened and they all fall off. Some lights dance in front of the sorcerer?
>>
>>54912072
The second roll, base personality, is going to be simple one-word descriptors, I'll probably directly copy a bunch of them.

So you could roll a "Chaotic Neutral Sassy Aggressive NPC", as I'll likely use the third roll for combat style.
>>
Biggest redflag that is unrelated to the game?

Is it being fat or having blue hair?
>>
>>54911441
It's literally Cthulu and is the most fun for that reason.
>>54911373
Stop being autistic
>>
>>54912362
Anybody who can't help but bring up political stuff
>>
People from 4chan.
>>
>>54911251
What, so the base game again?
>>
>>54912362
People on their phones.
>>
>>54911441
>>54912377
It could be any of sort of cosmic horror, too. Cthulhu is pretty tame. You can also fluff any of the patrons into anything you want. Loa pact voodoo lock or something.
>>
>>54912362
They spout /pol/ memes at the table.
>>
>>54912362
They spout Jojo memes at the table
>>
>>54912362
People who can't hide their fucking power level.

Seriously guys, how hard is it to act like a normal functioning person for two and a half hours.
>>
>>54912362
Both they and their character can't shut up about how much they hate orcs, even though the party hasn't encountered any orcs (or even half-orcs) in ten sessions.

Like, it's time for the party to get their one Wish from the genie to help beat the bad guy, and this asshole butts in, "I wish everyone else knew orcs were faggots."
>>
>>54912438
Replace Orcs with Elves and I'm That Guy.
>>
>>54912449
That's acceptable, though.
>>
>>54912438
Sounds like someone got GREENED
>>
>>54910229
>Chooses to be female

I sexually identify as a female sentient greatsword.
>>
why are rogues so fucking powerful in 5e? only wizards should be allowed to be powerful goddamnit.
>>
>>54910145
I went. No one else did though.
>>
>>54912438

Probably a butthurt WoW player that needs to get a life.
>>
>>54912522
They aren't really.
>>
looks like that dnd.rem.uz trove is down or under attack of some kind?
>>
>>54912522
Reliability.
>>
File: 1654854865487.png (75KB, 500x255px) Image search: [Google]
1654854865487.png
75KB, 500x255px
>>54912449
It's perfectly reasonable to hate Elves, though.
>>
File: 1387099830733.gif (611KB, 464x281px) Image search: [Google]
1387099830733.gif
611KB, 464x281px
What stupid arguments have you got into with your players recently?

>Bard buys a spell scroll of conjure woodland beings
>Chooses 8 1/4CR pixies
>Gets them to attach to each player and cast things like fly and polymorph each turn to fuck with the battle
>Argues that they have "total cover" because they're so small and on someones back
>Complains when they die in a dragons breath because of said total cover

I just know he went on some fucking meme site and got this idea from some autistic cunt.
>>
>>54912593
>any conjure help spell
>players picking what it summons
You brought this on yourself pal. The DM chooses what shows up for a reason
>>
>>54912593
>Chooses 8 1/4CR pixies
The caster only chooses the number of creatures, not what those creatures are. This is entirely on you.
>>
>>54912530
It was all a ruse to lure you in for some 1 on 1 ERP wasn't it?
>>
>>54912522
>Rogues
>Fucking powerful

Shadow Monks do what rogues do only better. Teleport, Pass without Trace (+10 to stealth), Silence even Darkness. Rogues get some thieving bonuses and sneak attacks but Monks gain so many more mobility and immunities over time.

I'm not trying to start a monk vs. rogue war, I'm just saying that if you are going to say Rogues are 'so fucking powerful' then you must really be shitting and pissing yourself over what is essentially a Shadowdancer Monk.
>>
File: Draw 2 keks.jpg (349KB, 600x477px) Image search: [Google]
Draw 2 keks.jpg
349KB, 600x477px
>>54912593
>>Bard buys a spell scroll of conjure woodland beings
>>Chooses 8 1/4CR pixies

>letting your players choose their summons
>>
File: wrong.png (844KB, 506x701px) Image search: [Google]
wrong.png
844KB, 506x701px
>>54912604
>>54912608
>The DM chooses

wrong

>You summon

>Player does something autistic
>It's the DM's fault

I want bard's to leave.
>>
>>54912628
When you cast a spell like conjure woodland beings, does the spellcaster or the DM choose the creatures that are conjured? A number of spells in the game let you summon creatures. Conjure animals, conjure celestial, conjure minor elementals, and conjure woodland beings are just a few examples.

Some spells of this sort specify that the spellcaster chooses the creature conjured. For example, find familiar gives the caster a list of animals to choose from.

Other spells of this sort let the spellcaster choose from among several broad options. For example, conjure minor elementals offers four options. Here are the first two:

One elemental of challenge rating 2 or lower
Two elementals of challenge rating 1 or lower
The design intent for options like these is that the spellcaster chooses one of them, and then the DM decides what creatures appear that fit the chosen option. For example, if you pick the second option, the DM chooses the two elementals that have a challenge rating of 1 or lower.

A spellcaster can certainly express a preference for what creatures shows up, but it’s up to the DM to determine if they do. The DM will often choose creatures that are appropriate for the campaign and that will be fun to introduce in a scene.

http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/sageadvice_july2015
>>
File: 1386096188513.jpg (29KB, 396x400px) Image search: [Google]
1386096188513.jpg
29KB, 396x400px
>>54912628
>the DM has the creature's statistics
>The DM has the creature
>The DM

How are you this dumb?
>>
>>54912656
As in the DM has the fucking MM.

>>54912646
Lets stop the battle because the phb isn't clear enough. Let me google sage advice.

RAW its fairly clear you choose the creatures.
>>
>>54912628
>Says DM has creatures statistics
>Doesn't say player does
How is the player supposed to choose if they don't have the stat blocks?
>>
>>54912628
>"Choose one of the following options for what appears"
>every option is solely the number of creatures and their CR
>>
>>54912674
How is the player supposed to choose if he doesn't know his options?

You pick the challenge rating, the DM looks through the MM for what is appropriate for the area
>>
File: AmIRetarded.png (354KB, 665x574px) Image search: [Google]
AmIRetarded.png
354KB, 665x574px
>>54912674
>RAW its fairly clear you choose the creatures.
>>
>>54912674
You're just salty because the player rules lawyer'd over you.
>>
>>54912704
It is because words that go in order one after another are usually intended to be connected.
>You choose
>One creature
Then later after explaining how summons work it comments on the DM. There's no way to feel out an intent that the DM is supposed to choose what type.... but it's definitely the better rule so it should be errattata'd
>>
>>54912628
I do wonder why they put 'or lower'. I doubt many dm's would do it, but it just seems like a way for the DM to go, 'ok you choose 2CR or lower and you get a squirrel'
>>
>>54912388
^
>>
>>54912721
Except it doesn't say "you choose one creature", it says you get to choose from a list of options and each option is a certain number of creatures that don't exceed a certain CR threshold. If it intended for the player to choose the type of creature, the spell would include a list of options to choose from since it is assumed that players don't have the MM.
>>
>>54912795
>The spell should list every possible combination of fey
>Not just ask the DM to hand you the MM
>>
>>54912795
Now I don't want to lay some sentence diagramming down on your ass but the colon-list is shorthand for clauses, 'one creature, two creatures, etc' which are associated with the verb 'choose.'
>>
Are Sorcerers full casters?
How does draconic sorcerer compare to wizard?
>>
>>54912812
Players should never even see a monster manual
>>
>>54912823
>Now I don't want to lay some sentence diagramming down on your ass
Are you fucking serious?
This is bait, right?
>>
File: 1371176633020.jpg (76KB, 476x399px) Image search: [Google]
1371176633020.jpg
76KB, 476x399px
>>54912846
>Players should never even see a monster manual
>>
>>54912839
>Are Sorcerers full casters?
They get 9th level slots so yes
>How does draconic sorcerer compare to wizard?
Badly. Other than metamagic, most of which is niche stuff, a sorcerer is pretty much a shitty version of wizard
>>
Is "Black Gryphon" a good name for a mecenary company?
>>
>>54912852
It's clearly the opposite of RAW but if it's RAI it should be fixed because it's better that way. PHB is pretty poorly edited all around so even clarifications should get an errata.
>>
>>54908535
>What's your favorite Sorcerous Origin or Arcane Tradition?
Stone is hella fun.
>>
>>54912894
yes
>>
>>54912894
Black X is pretty fucking cliche for merc companies though. Why not some other color?
>>
>>54912896
>It's clearly the opposite of RAW
It's literally not but ok
>>
>>54912628
This has been answered already

>Some spells of this sort specify that the spellcaster chooses the creature conjured. For example, find familiar gives the caster a list of animals to choose from.

>Other spells of this sort let the spellcaster choose from among several broad options. For example, conjure minor elementals offers four options. Here are the first two:

>One elemental of challenge rating 2 or lower
>Two elementals of challenge rating 1 or lower

>The design intent for options like these is that the spellcaster chooses one of them, and then the DM decides what creatures appear that fit the chosen option. For example, if you pick the second option, the DM chooses the two elementals that have a challenge rating of 1 or lower.
>>
>>54912921
>Pink Pixies
>>
>>54912921
Because the Purple Dragons are already taken and there's no point otherwise.

>>54912894
Yeah, it's pretty decent. My personal tastes would lean in the direction of the Gryphon's Wake or something, but I dig Black Gryphon just fine.
>>
How would you feel about a game where the 9th level casting classes (Bard, Cleric, Druid, Sorcerer, Warlock, Wizard) were banned?

Is there any fun to be had from limiting in-character options to what could be done with the Barbarian, Fighter, Monk, Paladin, Ranger and Rogue?
>>
>>54912846
K.
>>
>>54912867
He's not wrong
>>
>>54912963
I'd personally leave WL out of it, but it could be fun.
>>
>>54912963
>Is there any fun to be had from limiting in-character options to what could be done with the Barbarian, Fighter, Monk, Paladin, Ranger and Rogue?
Depends on the type of campaign you want to run

My favorite campaign I've ever taken part of completely banned all spellcasting, regardless of what class you were interested in playing. Picked a wizard? Go ahead but you can't cast spells or else you'll be burned as a witch and your family will fall to ruin
>>
>>54912846
>PHB: If in doubt, the Monster Manual version is authoritative.
>Player, go check against MM

>>54912942
>>54912944
White Griffons. They're not clearly intended to be evil grimdark mercenaries with a black on black banner and black cloaks and all that jazz.
>>
File: 1365375448549.jpg (27KB, 345x395px) Image search: [Google]
1365375448549.jpg
27KB, 345x395px
>>54912931
>>54912646
>>54912676
But functionally, what's wrong with giving the player some choice in what creatures they want to summon?

Don't be scared to give your players some decision making opportunities.
>>
How "required" is taking Eldritch Blast on a Warlock? How about Hex?

What if I'm putting together a Warlock with the Great Old One patron?

I've been told both of those are "must take" spells.
>>
>>54912867
>But DM the monsters manual says they only equip THESE weapons
>But DM the monsters manual says this
>But DM the monsters manual says that

It's far better to have players never see a MM, beyond showing them the picture of the enemy if they want to see it
>>
Mearls has mention he wouldn't mind doing a archetype for the druid design to help with the shield and scimitar layout.
>>
>>54912921
>Sarcoline Salamanders
>Gamboge Gargoyles
>Tangerine Troglodytes
>Vermillion Vargouilles
>Azure Ankhegs
>Zaffre Dhampyrs
>Chartreuse Sharn
>Malachite Myconids
>>
>>54913012
>But functionally, what's wrong with giving the player some choice in what creatures they want to summon?
The pixie cheese bullshit that started this conversation? Have you not been reading the thread?
>>
>>54913037
Just take Valor Bard on a Druid. Combat Inspiration consumes Wildshape uses instead. Done.

Cross-classing whole archetypes makes just about anything possible with a minimum of fuss.
>>
>>54913036
>>54912981
You're a beta DM if you let your players lecture you on monsters.
>>
>>54913037
I wish they would give druids some kind of 'partial transformation' options. Like, I want bear claws but T-rex legs. Would be cool to play an evil druid who is so serious about 'muh survival of the fittest' that he literally takes the fittest portions of animals during certain scenarios instead of just becoming a single creature.

Fuck liches. Evil druids who want to awaken the Tarrasque and have armies of bee swarms which are made up of literally giant bees (with bear arms) are cooler.
>>
>>54913077
I don't, players start getting targeted more often as they try to lecture me about what monsters can do

It doesn't mean they can't make sessions drag on for longer than they should
>>
File: 1479958904534.jpg (78KB, 800x765px) Image search: [Google]
1479958904534.jpg
78KB, 800x765px
>>54913036
>not telling the players the MM is just a guideline and you reserve the right to change whatever the fudge you want
>>
>>54913077
When the fuck did I say that?
Besides, that's not the only problem. Monsters are often heavily modified from what is in the MM, frequently in the middle of combat. You also don't want your players to know creature abilities before they face the creature since it just leads to boring metagaming.
>>
>>54912991
>Depends on the type of campaign you want to run
Something a little less Warcraft and a little more Darkest Dungeon, to simplify it to fuck and back.

Like I want magic to be a poorly understood part of the universe. Exceptional people might easily find themselves discovering ways to use it or being specially capable at it, but 99.999% of people probably don't see magic more than once in their lives (and often if they see it, it's the last thing they see). People study it, but it's something where most of the secrets are lost or have never been brought up. There are no ancient wizards in towers with planar gates to their paradise bubbles, there are no life-restoring masters of the holy art of lifeweaving, et cetera. For all you can tell, the legends are either exaggerated, false, or incomplete stories. Magic items aren't made by bored wizards, but are story-based; a flaming sword exists because a legendary hero's dying act was to thrust it into the heart of a fire-breathing monster, and that's the only thing that wasn't burned to ash in the battle, and it's probably intelligent in some alien fashion and has a bunch of ribbon powers and non-combat functions.

Like I fuckin love sword and sandal shit, I love magic being a part of a larger world humans can't master, and I like a lot of the lower-key monsters that turn into cannon fodder once you get illithid masterminds, 80-foot dragons who are also master sorcerers, et cetera.
>>
>>54913022
>Eldritch Blast
Chill Touch is fine, non-blaster warlocks are fine. EB warlocks are just easy to play.
>Hex
Also not necessary but I fuckin love it.

These only start feeling necessary when your playerbase is 110% into the dungeon crawl monster basher campaign where the odds are stacked to counter an assumed level of system optimization.
>>
File: spacestare.gif (768KB, 500x340px) Image search: [Google]
spacestare.gif
768KB, 500x340px
>>54913076
Why have I not done this before
>>
I will never not play a wizard again. Give me wizard ideas so I can try them out.
>>
>>54913164
A wizard who isn't annoying to be in the party with.
>>
Players are sent on a mission to retrieve several parts of an artifact that's been scattered across a wide area. What is it, and what does it do?

I wanted to have them assemble a deck of many things, but there's now way they wouldn't catch on. Maybe the rod of seven parts?
>>
>>54912894
Bit cliche, but this is D&D FFS. We're not here to be original.

That said, making them a band of the toughest, strongest, and most determined motherfuckers you can hire and calling them the "Lavender Griffins" would be hilarious.

"Oi, see those blokes in them pink 'n purple doublets? Yeah, them. You 'ear about what 'appened to the last lad who called them a bunch of ponces? 'At's him hanging from't tree over there."
>>
>>54913183
You could always make it something fluffwise-overpowered but leave out some missing parts.
>>
>>54912362
They are passive-aggressive with their political correctness on /5eg/.
>>
>>54913164
Your only goal in life is to become a powerful enough mage to cast Wish - not necessarily for your own benefit, but instead to grant the wishes of others and go down in history as a hero to the common folk. However, your desire for this is so strong that you are in deep denial of the incredible consequences of such powerful magic, and may end up causing more harm and destruction than good.
>>
>>54913183
I hope you dont pull the trope of "players have been unknowingly helping the bad guy assemble his doomsday device" plot point.
>>
>>54912572
Yep, down for me as well.
>>
>>54913076
Not him but I don't get it. You mean play a bard but be a druid?
>>
How does Component Pouch work? You put your hand in the pouch and throw the spells at people? How do you fluff this shit?
>>
has anyone done a campaign where you dont level up or progress at all?

What would be the best level for this?

What would be the best level for sword and sorcery adventures?
>>
>>54913240
Take the archetype of another class instead of one of your own class's.

So you're a Druid who has College of Valor instead of Moon / Land / whatever.
>>
>>54913183
Both of those are boring, and the Deck is begging for bullshit.

Assembling certain keystone bones of assorted saints, the vestments said to be worn by a legendary priest with the power to restore life to the dead at the cost of his own vitality, the silver chains decorated with articles of faith and fortune from a crypt built under a temple taken over by heretical necromancers, and the staff of the First Priest of the faith said to be made from a tree so old its wood turned to stone, lost in an ancient grove when it was used to create a tremendous forest that has since decayed to a monster-infested mire.

Try and pace it in a way that prevents the PCs from catching on that they're assembling the body of a lich who, long ago, created a religion to take over the world for them and played the long game of multiple long-ass naps between masquerading as various holy figures in their invented religion.
>>
>>54913255
Yes. 4-6, give them a couple extra feats to play with.
>>
>>54913269
>Hexblade Paladin
>Battlemaster Barbarian
>Shadow Fighter
Now this is podracing
>>
>>54913250
>You put your hand in the pouch and throw the spells at people?
wat
>>
>>54913250
Hold pouch (containing material component) and you're holding the component. Don't even need to take it out. Wave component (in pouch) around for somatics.
>Everyone just uses foci instead

>>54913269
Huh. I mean thats a pretty neat idea but I am not sure that would be allowed most places.... but interesting.
>>
>>54913303
>Shadow Paladin
>teleport behind enemies and smite them
>heh... nothin personnel, heathen
>>
File: 1475195593470.gif (181KB, 190x152px) Image search: [Google]
1475195593470.gif
181KB, 190x152px
>>54913303
>>54913269
>>54913076
My god. It's glorious.

I have the grandest erection right now.
>>
Tell me if you need any experience with this.

I have a relatively new player, whose original character died and so she made a new one, a moon druid she named Morrigan, because this is Curse of Strahd, and so I guess she felt like going a little Raven Queeny on me.

But I'm having a really hard time working with this. I know, I know, there is about as much druid crunch in CoS as there is for Paladins, but she really doesn't seem to be growing into the character and without those humanistic traits for me to bounce off from, I find myself going through a right bugger to DM for.

I was thinking of, playing with the Morrigan concept, having her wild shape back into a diferent person every time she reverts back to Druid form, and hopefully with that, give her the necessary maneuver to experiment with acting extremes.

What do you feel about this idea?
>>
>>54913269
What, so you start playing one class then just say "I'm going to be a battlemaster rogue" or something?

Or are you just doing it for flavor?
>>
>>54913315
>edgy antisocial Paladin
>hangs out in the shadows all day, scraping his armor against the walls whenever he moves
>U CANNOT HAVE LIGHT... W/O THE DARKNESS..........
>stealths around wearing full plate because Pass Without Trace is busted
>>
>>54912593
> kenku have been profiling and tracking party for months
> setup ambush that the players fall right into
> use COMICALLY/ TROPE WORTHY RED BARRELS, and have them placed everywhere
> kenku dumps barrel of flammable liquid out, creating a line of fire while other kenku fly around chucking daggers
> player decides to shoot one point blank (with a musket)
> COMICALLY/ TROPE WORTHY RED BARREL blows up in his face, setting him on fire, and KO'ing two other PCs, one of whom falls face down in fire
> Party TPKs
> player goes on drunken tirade that lasts a week about how no matter what they did, they were gonna die and I was railroading them.
> 5/6 players side with DM; they fucked up
> 1 player holds a grudge and believes no matter what they do from here on out in future games, it doesn't matter because the DM can just overrule anything.

I feel bad, because it was this players first character and we had been playing the same campaign for nearly two years. Gotta cut them teeth boy.
>>
>>54913328
Not that guy but I see where he's going.

Let's say you like the fighter, but also like the Hexblade. You wanna play a supernatural fighter but not be an outright spellcaster. So you decide simultaneously that your character is a Fighter but with Hexblade Warlock's archetype features. That means you're a bog standard fighter, but...
>You gain some vestige of a Black Blade
>You can use Charisma for attacks and damage on one-handed melee weapons you know how to use
>You get Hexblade's Curse
>At 6th level you get Shadow Hound
>At 10th level you get Armor of Hexes
>At 14th level you get Master of Hexes
>>
If an encounter has multiple enemy types, for example - berserkers, scouts, guards, and they're setting an ambush up for the PC's should I roll for stealth using the lowest modifier, rolling separate stealth checks for the three different types, or just use the scout's stealth?
>>
>>54913423
Use the lowest if you're going for full party, seems obvious right? Doesn't matter how sneaky that scouty sumbitch is that fucking zerker is going to ruin it for them. Similar but opposite is generally done, highest perception for party is common.
>>
>>54913388
To continue:
You can look at a lot of these and see a lot of "raw deal" builds and "superpowered 1st-level dip" builds, but the issue can be countered pretty handily by having Fluff First as a mindset when building your character. After all we're breaking rules doing this, so we should be breaking them further to balance it. Maybe you feel Hex Fighter is kind of weak, so you let him grab a couple Invocations at 2nd level, a couple more at a reduced rate as he levels and give him the basic Blade Pact ability to summon his weird sword-thing. This makes him more of a spooky spirit warrior without breaking the "not actually a spellcaster" vibe and keeping him competitive.
>>
>>54913328
I don't know how I can make it any more clear than "take another class's archetype instead".

Instead of picking Thief when your Rogue hits 3 and gaining Fast Hands, you take Battlemaster instead and gain Combat Superiority. Every Thief feature that you would gain is instead replaced by the Battlemaster's.

Take ribbons at the archetype's intended levels. If there's a mismatch in level between your actual class's archetypes' feature gains and your "stolen" archetype, use your actual class's level to determine when you get what. In the case of ribbons, use whichever is lower, because it's a fucking ribbon. Another exception is for classes who get their archetypes at 1 taking the archetype of a class who only gets theirs at 3; get them at the archetype's normal level OR mandate no multiclassing.
>>
>>54913466
>>54913388
I should probably make it clear that you probably shouldn't let someone two-level dip this and then grab regular Warlock, if only because it kind of overstacks the deck for them, but even then it might make Warlock viable as something other than a gun turret. These things should be done case-by-case with the mututal player-GM understanding that rules might change to keep a player at a consistent power level compared to his companions.
>>
>>54913321

I think you sound like a micromanaging cunt. Calm the fuck down.
>>
>>54913310
But how do you fluff the use of a component pouch? I don't want my wizard awkwardly grabbing his purse every time he casts a spell.
>>
>>54913589
Then have your wizard non-awkwardly grab his purse when he casts spells
It's not fucking hard to imagine
>>
>>54913589
That's like saying "I dont want my fighter awkwardly swinging his sword every time he attacks someone." Pulling out the required components takes only a few seconds and doesnt even need to be narrated most of the time.
>>
>>54913589
Long chain or chord with a bunch of little charms and trinkets, pouches of dust and vials of liquid, et cetera, danged around the arm and hand. Getting the right stuff in your hand is part of the somatics of the spell.
>>
>>54913497
This. It kind of breaks down when you get into spellcasting archetypes.

I let the Rogue in my group take the Trickery domain. These features call for Channel Divinity and spell slots, which the Rogue doesn't have.
So I said the Channel Divinity thing (your illusionary double) is just once/long rest, and they have spellcasting something like a Warlock: slots are all of the highest level known, numbering INT mod, regained on a long rest. Spells learned are ONLY the domain spells, and they're learned at listed level+1.

Is it better than Arcane Trickster? Within its little subset of skills, absolutely. Pass Without Trace at level 4, on a character that has no real use for its spell slots otherwise? That's real good. but we're also using a modified rest system that means you don't get all your spells back on a long rest except at very low levels
>>
>>54909591

Assuming this is DnD 5e: He is an appropriate challenge for a party of 4 level 8s.

That means he would be worth 3900 XP, using the DMG charts.
>>
>eldritch knight casting scales so poorly that just dipping wizard will get you more spells and more slots, actually useful caster abilities as well as actually useful fighter abilities

at least arcane trickster still has scaling sneak attack
>>
>>54913626
Anon this idea has given me so many ideas already and I can't wait to help my players come up with cool ideas with it.

I don't thank random anonymous people on the internet often. But you definitely deserve it right now.
>>
>>54913589
It's fucking magic. The component you want is magically on top of the pile of bullshit every time.

Alternatively, there are no individual components in the bag, because where are the rules for restocking your bag with lightning-struck twigs, drops of molasses, sheep's fleece, bat guano, the ashes of a burned leaf and a spruce sapling, and all that other shit? Instead, the bag is just full of generic fairy dust that works for every spell that doesn't have a currency cost associated with its component. Spray some sparkly sand at everything no matter what. Who cares?
>>
>>54909368
Isn't Reincarnate a Druid spell? It's probably the oldest trick in the book for an archfey
>>
Reasons for wanting to go back to the past. Besides destroying Aku
>>
>>54913701
It's sounds like fun
>>
>>54913720
you sound like fun
>>
>>54913701
discovering the origins of various spells and magical abilities

captcha: ROAD ROAD
>>
>>54913662
Warmagic is actually pretty good. Gets you basically the DPT of a 3 attack Fighter if you use it with GFB or Booming Blade.

The spells and slots do kinda suck, but I'd take a EK 7 over BM 5/Wiz 2 any day.
>>
File: 147121843132.jpg (84KB, 657x658px) Image search: [Google]
147121843132.jpg
84KB, 657x658px
>>54909368
Of course it fucking does.

Tell your player to get fucked.
>>
>>54913792
>Tell your player to get fucked.
That's the fey's plan, probably.
>>
>>54913792
Or work it into some kind of even worse terms on the contract. I mean it seems obvious you can't fool an archfey you entered a contract with but the attempt is sure to amuse him and fuck the player further.
>>
>>54909368
Being contracted to a Fey Lord is almost assuredly WHY they were reincarnated as a member of the opposite sex.
>>
>>54913765
>I'd take a EK 7 over BM 5/Wiz 2 any day.
Why would you do this and not BM3/wiz 4?
>>
>The Great Old One: Awakened Mind
>Starting at 1st level, your alien knowledge gives you the ability to touch the minds of other creatures. You can communicate telepathically with
>any creature you can see within 30 feet of you. You don't need to share a language with the creature for it to understand your telepathic
>utterances, but the creature must be able to understand at least one language.

Does the creature know it's me if I don't want them to?
>>
File: 5e phb.png (1MB, 1250x708px) Image search: [Google]
5e phb.png
1MB, 1250x708px
>>
File: kuugathumbs.gif (2MB, 267x151px) Image search: [Google]
kuugathumbs.gif
2MB, 267x151px
>>54913667
I also let my guys change up archetypes a little. Who says Tempest Cleric has to be all about Thunder and Lightning spells? Make it work off Fire instead and give them the domain spells of the Light domain. Boom, damage-focused Fire Cleric. And if a Light Cleric doesn't want to be all fiery, why not give them water- and cold-themed domain spells and say they're some arctic champion who sprays snow into his enemy's eyes when they attack instead of a bright flash of light?

Why's a Storm Herald Barbarian gotta choose between Fire, Cold, and Lightning? Surround yourself with a cloud of Acid, I don't care, or shoot a giant icicle at one enemy every round instead of a lightning bolt, it's all good.
>>
What's the best class for the Polearm Master+Sentinel abuse train?
>>
>>54913862
To get Extra Attack, the main reason to take a Martial Class.
>>
>>54913869
They don't even need to see you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sf-5RaFnh2U
>>
>>54913881
Fighter/Rogue.
>>
>>54913882
Ignoring that extra attack to murder better (even though bonus cantrips and/or feats largely make up for it) to give up way more utility combat power or out of combat stuff is probably dumb, you could still just do fighter 1/bladesinger 6 and get extra attack
>>
any tips for running curse of strahd? should i randomly do the tarokka reading?
>>
>>54913881
>>54913894
any cheesy combo based around landing as many hits as possible needs revised ranger for that free 1d8
>>
>>54913862
>>54913912
Also BM3/Wiz4 is a Fighter Dip, not a Wizard dip...

The guy was asking about a Fighter dipping Wizard, not a Wizard dipping Fighter. A Wizard dipping Fighter should just go for Fighter 2/Wiz X and not bother with getting a subclass.

My answer was for a FIGHTER, dipping wizard VS an EK. You're answering a question no one asked.
>>
I think it'd be interesting to play a character kind of like the Venom Symbiont from Spiderman. Like I'm 1 part character and 1 part equipment. Maybe do something like give enhanced speed strength or healing.
>>
>>54913928
None of this has anything to do with anything because of how 5e multiclassing works. the end result of both options is "guy with fighter skill with weapons and wizard spells". fighter/wizard is in theory more of a fighter than EK is because you have all the pure martial power abilities from BM or champion
>>
>>54913960
>Like I'm 1 part character and 1 part equipment.
So a 2E/3E character HEYOOOOOOOO
>>
>>54913960
Raven Queen Warlock kinda does that
>>
>>54913960
well thats something you'd have to work out with a DM. You could fluff any sorts of things around that concept.
>>
File: Sweatpe.jpg (7KB, 231x218px) Image search: [Google]
Sweatpe.jpg
7KB, 231x218px
>>54912096

>V-veterinary gynecology
>>
>>54913589
The only times specific components are supposed to be important are when they are expensive, or when you lose your gear. In the first, its a balancing act and a way to consume party funds/treasure, while the latter is to put everyone on an equal playing field in "emergency" situations. Fighter has to improvise a weapon, the barbarian grapples a guy, and you collect bat dung from the cave.
>>
File: horsepussy.png (381KB, 854x724px) Image search: [Google]
horsepussy.png
381KB, 854x724px
>>54914001
>>
>>54913874
>blurry faced anime boy.psb
>>
>>54913980
Fluff-wise, sure. But if you're in a game

And I assume people here are actually playing and not just nerd with no friends who constantly pull each other down like a bucket full of crabs,

If you're ACTUALLY playing a game, then it does matter, as they guy is likely already playing a Fighter 2 and is about to go to level 3. Should he go EK or multi into Wizard? Telling him to start as a Wizard is unhelpful.
>>
>>54914044
>Should he go EK or multi into Wizard?
If he goes wizard 2 he will have more spells and more interesting side features than he would for the next several levels of EK, while leaving him open to pick a more cooler fighty class as well

Even if we assume this game will only go to level 3, picking wizard 1 would still be better because again, he gets more spells and doesn''t really lose anything
>>
>>54914092
He'll, at a minimum, have fewer HP. When he hits 5, he's significantly worse off. so for levels 3, he's about the same but with less HP, at 4 he is behind on ASI/Feats, and at 5 he still doesn't have an ASI/Feat AND doesn't have extra attack.
>>
Hot damn just had the worst rolls in my entire goddamn life today and I usually don't care
I averaged a 4 even with advantage
in fact I said
>I'll flank since I'm tired of rolling fucking 4s
>roll 2d20
>both were 4
One combat encounter against 4 measly 4 kobolds with like 13 AC. Usually this doesn't bother me but throw in all the skill checks I kept repeatedly failing as well
>>
>>54914092
Sure. But I think EK pays off once you get to Level 7. I play an EK 7 and Warmagic is really worth it. I am probably going to multi into wizard after 8 to boost my INT to 16.

I don't think it would have been as fun to go Wizard back at level 3. It would have made getting spells easier, sure, but my HP would have suffered and my options in combat would have been greatly lessened without my extra ASI and extra attack.
>>
>>54914111
>He'll, at a minimum, have fewer HP.
Barely (3 hp on average vs 5, so one extra hit if you go fighter only), and it's not like death is actually a threat in 5e unless you're a moron.

>o for levels 3, he's about the same but with less HP, at 4 he is behind on ASI/Feats, and at 5 he still doesn't have an ASI/Feat AND doesn't have extra attack.
and yet more spells is both more powerful than literally all of this AND more interesting
>>
File: random encounters.jpg (217KB, 1845x739px) Image search: [Google]
random encounters.jpg
217KB, 1845x739px
Thoughts on mountain random encounters for an area the PC's are going to go through
>>
>>54914117
If it wasn't for Half-Orc's racial feature, I would have wiped a three man party of level 2s with three tiny spiders after they spent four turns rolling 6 and under.
>>
>>54914152
Except it isn't. At all. Extra Attack is a MUCH bigger deal than level 2 spells, and that feat can just as easily be used for flavor or utility as it can for raw mechanical power.

Overhyping spellcasters is a common trait from people who have limited experience actually playing 5e.
>>
What are your thoughts on a character I've been brewing?

>fighter or barbarian haven't decided which
>The son of a bandit warlord
>him and his mom were "freed" from his dad by an adventuring party wiping their camp
>want to get revenge on those adventures and start his own mercenary band
>>
>>54914165
throw in a dinosaur of some sort, just for shits and giggles.
>>
>>54913875
I want you to be my DM.
>>
>>54911335
neutral good if you're a lazy good doer
Chaotic N/G if you REALLY know how to role play well and you have a firm grasp on your character
LG if your a decent role player
>>
>>54914204
Not terrible, better yet if the adventurers did the standard adventuring thing of stranding them some place with no money, bonus points for not speaking the local language.
>>
>>54914184
>Extra Attack is a MUCH bigger deal than level 2 spells
Do you honestly believe doing an extra 15 or so damage when you attack is better than stuff like invisibility? If all you cared about was doing tons of damage you wouldn't be an EK in the first place
>>
>>54912438
orcs never seem to come up for me anymore
last time was in some homebrew where they were intellectuals but we only saw one before the group fell apart
>>
>>54914238
Yes, extra attack is significantly stronger than a cast of invisibility once per rest. If you want to be a wizard, play a wizard. Then you'd have level 3 spells!
>>
>>54914238
Not gonna comment on the first half, but
>If all you cared about was doing tons of damage you wouldn't be an EK in the first place
is absolutely correct.
>>
>>54912846
okay Gary
>>
>GMs that dont give out any information and get frustrated when you "walk into obvious traps"
>>
>>54912846
They can look at it all they want, just like you. But it's your job as DM to make them understand from the start that you're the DM, and you're going to change things. They should think of the monster manual as an encyclopedia. This is the most usual information we're aware of, but it's a strange magical world out there and no text will ever truly cover everything.
>>
>>54914253
Between getting Warmagic and the Third Attack, EK's have the best DPT of any Fighter. Before and After, BM is ahead. Champion is left in the dirt either way.
>>
>>54909592
I already have. Preorders from my FLGS
>>
>>54914320
Man I wish Champ wasn't so boring
I was thinking of a Champion Lizardman Archer but I don't know if I'll do it
>>
>>54914362
I mean at level 10 they get the second FS, which is really nice... They just should have gotten that WAY earlier. Crit Fishing is just too hard in 5e for it to be the base of the build.
>>
>>54914306
Depends on the context. I've had time where I made it really obvious what to do and they still fucked it up.
>Have a room with three buttons.
>The Walls Close in, eventually they crush you.
>Each button has a lamp over it. It will flash in the order they should be pushed as well as how many times each one should be pushed.
>First one once. Second one twice. Third one Three times.
>They hit them in order. Doesn't work.
>Do it again. Still doesn't work.
>Hit them in reverse order.
>Alternate between the two ideas for 15 minutes.
>They die.

Yours might have been more obscure, but I will never doubt the power of people's stupidity.
>>
>>54914411
Why would anyone design a deadly trap that can be disabled from inside by pressing hint buttons
>>
>>54914486
What if you got caught in your trap
>>
>>54914411
Designing any trap where the only options are death or no death is bad design, imo. There should always be at least three solutions of various degrees.
>>
>>54914486
Never underestimate people's stupidity. My own stupidity included.
In universe it's so henchmen/maintenance had a way our if it got triggered.
>>
Are the last two UAs being so terrible proof that WotC is out of ideas?
>>
>>54914507
reminds me why my first DM gave up on riddles
>>
>>54914500
If I have traps in my lair it's because I'm some dickass Wizard, so I Teleport away.
>>
Hey guys newer to D&D here and i am kinda at a cross road i am playing a barbarian and i cant choose my primal path for lvl 3

should i go the berserker or should i go to Totem warrior
>>
>>54914559
Why would anyone design a deadly trap that any dickass wizard could just teleport out of
>>
>>54908535
Wild Magic. I like to see chaos unfold on the battlefield, or in town, or forests, or really anywhere.
>>

All the arcane traditions are boring as hell. Favorite Sorc is either earth or water bender, but I made my own that's been a lot of fun.
>>
>>54914564
go with the elemental one, it's sweet.
>>
>>54914525
>Princes of the Apocalypse
>some kind of ancient dwarven ruin with owlbears all over it
>weird clock puzzle clearly requiring a specific key
>opens a set of doors we find under some rubble while searching for said key
>also designed to close behind the group
>party Fighter knaps a rock into the shape of the keyhole and shoves it in there
>mechanisms start turning
>party forces the whole thing open
>jams and breaks mechanisms before heading in

>Storm King's Thunder
>house owned by paranoid Ranger-type dwarf NPC
>Dwarf house, so no windows, everything's stone
>party Monk (also the Fighter from PotA campaign) chisels a house key out of a fucking rock
>party disarms all traps by throwing a chair-on-a-rope around the room and jamming mechanisms with knives and rocks
>find weird fireplace with illusory logs
>do some shit with them I can't remember and reveal secret staircase
>weird shrine at the bottom, obvious sliding stone slab trap and Conjuration magic trapping it
>jam slab five different ways, create lasso-on-a-stick to grab shield off shrine
>poison gas cloud triggered, slab jams, party casually walks away
>later
>ancient Imaskari Wizard's ioun stone-crafting lab underneath a cottage owned by same paranoid Dwarf Ranger
>actually have a proper key this time
>party triggers every trap by throwing a log-on-a-rope around the room under the direction of party Warlock's permanent Detect Magic
>finds a rug that teleports people to the lab
>Monk goes down first
>finds himself at the bottom of a stone well, littered with scorched and nicked bones
>reconnects arcane runes on the floor to teleport back up
>grabs a table and teleports back down
>walks forward with table and shield protecting him
>Fire and Dart traps explode all around him
>whatever
>>
Can I cast Light on a living thing? If I manage to touch someone's eye can I cast Light on it?
>>
>>54914744
No, a creature is not an object. A corpse is.
>>
>>54914744
I'm pretty sure the spell specifies OBJECT. Not CREATURE. So no, you can't target a living thing. Maybe an eye that's been removed, but not someone's eye.
>>
>>54914744
No, but for the same utility you can do it on someone's headgear
>>
>>54914744
Only if it's a glass eye. Which would be kind of neat, casting the light spell on your fake eye and then keeping an eyepatch over it when you don't need the glow.
>>
If I don't want to multiclass, what's a good tank/support class for a Firbolg? I'm looking at Moon Druid, Ancients Paladin or a Nature/Tempest/War Cleric at the moment.
>>
>>54914871
Onion Druid is the best Tank of those three.
>>
Is Tomb of Annihilation out yet?
>>
>>54911029
Kensai Monk

Arcane Archer

Maybe the Sorcerer subclass that is a mix with Cleric.

New warlock stuff, the revised ones.

Obviously Raven Queen Pact and maybe Hexblade.

Some other "polished" subclasses

Revised Downtime

The new dumb imitative and xp thing
>>
>>54915093
>The new dumb imitative and xp thing
Nah, they finalized XGE's content before Greyhawk Initiative game out.
>>
>>54914699
I mean, that's all pretty awesome, but
>party Monk (also the Fighter from PotA campaign) chisels a house key out of a fucking rock
and
>party Fighter knaps a rock into the shape of the keyhole and shoves it in there
is kinda pushing it.
>>
>>54915093
>Arcane Archer
I hope so
The DM screen archer looks really cool to me and Ranger trick arrows don't scratch the itch for me
>>
>>54915109
>dwarven ruins
>dwarven house
>not operated by stone keys
>>
Would you allow Magic Arrow from Arcane Archer, Moonbow Invocation and Sharpshooter to all stack with eachother?
+1 to hit and damage, -5 to hit and +10 to damage, and +2d8 damage on a hit?

With Archery and 18 dex at 6th level, that's 1d8+15+2d8 per arrow at +5 to hit twice per turn.
>>
>>54915146
>dwarven locks open to whatever key-shaped rock gets jammed in them
>not using keys with different metal compositions that affect only specific tumblers, so that the key has to be both the correct shape and material
>>
>>54915148
The only conflict here is, potentially, Magic Arrow and Moonbow. Sharpshooter can be used with either feature no problem. The question is whether your DM considers the white wood arrow created by Moonbow, which gives you advantage against lycanthropes and can ranged-smite, is "non-magical" for the purposes of Magic Arrow's infusion. It doesn't explicitly have the magical tag on it (so it does reduced damage to things that are resistant to non-magical weaponry), but this is some kind of weird wood that magically appears from the space behind your head whenever you want to fire your goofy fairy bow.
>>
>>54915148
>+1 to hit and damage, -5 to hit
>18 dex at 6th level
>+5 to hit
Shouldn't it be +3 to hit? Proficiency (3) + Dex (4) + 1 (magic arrow) - 5 (sharpshooter) = 3
>>
>>54915229
I was assuming archery from fighter
>>
>>54915209
>everyrogue and their brother tries to pick locks with metal tools or carries metal shanks and jimmies and metal skeleton keys
>make locks that don't respond to metal at all
>and are so large that conventional lockpicking techniques don't work on them
>and require masonry skills which no fucking assassin would ever study
>>
>>54915141
Arcane archer seems pretty cool, but honestly I think they should up the amount of times you can fire one of your arcane arrows. I mean hunter gets Mark almost every fight, why can't archer do extra damage. 2d6 is strong yea, but it just needs to be expanded on a bit.
>>
>>54915263
>tfw your tumblers and keys are made of different piezoelectric stones which must share the right oscillating frequency and transmit and electrical charge to the lock
D W A R V E N S C I E N C E
>>
So, are they going to release the starting adventure for Tomb of Annihilation first? For funsies? They did this with CoS and it was grand
>>
File: roll20 toa.png (48KB, 214x479px) Image search: [Google]
roll20 toa.png
48KB, 214x479px
>>54915396
Not sure if there will be a starting part of the adventure, unless it's a subsection of one of the other chapters.
>>
How would a Theurge Wizard with the Arcane Cleric domain work?
>as a 14th lvl wizard you get the 17th level benefits of your cleric domain.
>at 17th level of arcane cleric you get the following...

>At 17th level, you choose four spells from the Wizard spell list, one from each of the following levels: 6th, 7th, 8th, and 9th. You add them to your list of domain spells. Like your other domain spells, they are always prepared and count as cleric spells for you.
>>
Can anyone help me make a moon Drood?
I'm not familiar with 5e, But it was recommended to me, I've went with human, as the GM doesnt seem to keen on a lot of the races. It's point buy, And i've gone

10/14/14/12/16/8
Str/dex/con/int/wis/cha

Am i doing alright so far? Anything vital for feats etc? Progression plans? Any help would be appreciated~
>>
>>54915745
It would pretty much do nothing. You don't get any new spells, and you still can't cast the 8th and 9th level spells until you get slots for them anyway. The only real benefit is having those four spells always prepared, but that's not really that strong for the level you get the feature.
>>
>>54915785
Do you hate your DM?
Get magic initiate to deal mondo damage with Harvest Scythe+Magic Missile.
Thats all the advice I can give.
>>
Does anyone have a Mairon/Sauron build for 5e?
>>
>>54915875
>Moon Druid
>Harvest's Scythe
>>
File: 1501813953506.gif (2MB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1501813953506.gif
2MB, 250x250px
>>54916020
Its just late enough that I couldn't care less.
>>
I'm taking a 2lvl Dip into Wizard, which school should I go into?
>>
>>54916155
What class are you multiclassing from?
>>
File: Feiya.jpg (182KB, 906x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Feiya.jpg
182KB, 906x1000px
I love the pathfinder witch class, but I prefer 5e way more to pathfinder. How do I make the 5e warlock into the pathfinder witch?
>>
>>54915930
As in for a player character or a monster? If you want him as a PC, probably fallen aasimar lore bard with a dip on fiend warlock, given the one time we see him fight is when he has a mystical singing match with that one elf king who had a dwarvish nickname. Tolkien characters don't translate well to d&d in general
>>
>>54916155
This one. I'm considering multi-classing at lvl 3 or 11.
http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/rJ-lzWkNB-
>>
>>54915785
I'm assuming variant human? There's not really much of a way to fuck up with moon druid, anon. Just pick a feat that fits your character (or one that can save your ass like Lucky) and go to town with your wild shapes. Get spells that'll help your party, like Faerie Fire, Entangle and Goodberry.
>>
>>54916307
>>54916307
>>54916307
>>
>>54913012
>Conversation literally began with an example on why it's a bad idea
Not very bright are you
>>
>>54912674
>let me Google sage advice
>sage advice link in the post you responded to
>>
>>54913881
Warlock, if you add warcaster into the mix
>>
>>54913089
>Like, I want bear claws but T-rex legs
They do. You can cast Alter Self at will at some point, which means you can be a TRex and alter self yourself some other animal features.
>>
>>54914699
>Paranoid Dwarf Ranger left a bunch of Glyphs of Warding
>Not so paranoid he didn't cover them with Nystul Aura
Thread posts: 348
Thread images: 36

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.