[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/awg/ - Alternative Wargames General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 322
Thread images: 49

File: 577_08_07_16_6_05_04_4.jpg (286KB, 1000x687px) Image search: [Google]
577_08_07_16_6_05_04_4.jpg
286KB, 1000x687px
A Song of Ice and Fire edition

>What is /awg/?
A thread to talk about minis and games which fall between the cracks, or people's homebrew wargames. /hwg/ doesn't entertain fantasy (for good reason) and the other threads are locked to very specific games, so this thread isn't tied to a game, or a genre, lets talk about fun wargames.

Any scale, any genre, any company, any minis. Skirmishers welcome. Rules designers welcome.

>Examples of games that qualify
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_miniature_wargames
Grimdark Future, Age of Fantasy, Mighty Armies, Dragon Rampant, Of Gods and Mortals, Frostgrave, Hordes of the Things, Songs of Blades and Heroes, Freebooter's Fate, Dark Age, LotR and anything that doesn't necessarily have a dedicated thread (gorkamundheim).

>Places to get minis
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1D2DbNJ2mYAUxh5P9Pq9NZqS5tXHGn0i2JhZchEwbA2I/edit?usp=sharing

>The Novice Trove
http://pastebin.com/viWJ1Yvk

Last thread
>>54827303
>>
New Frostgrave: Ghost Archipelago sprue. Pretty standard.
>>
>>54901985
I do wonder: Are these sculpted by the same guy that did the 6th Edition Empire miniatures from WHFB? They look like they'd fit in seamlessly with those.
>>
Speaking of Frostgrave, I remember them showing off a sprue of arms and guns designed to fit on the Frostgrave plastics, back when the cultists were in preorder.

Is that for sale anywhere? Because I've been thinking about medieval dudes with laser guns for a certain gothic scifi theme (Don't worry, gonna use alt rules) lately and I can't find them for sale.
>>
>>54902556

https://www.northstarfigures.com/prod.php?prod=8780

This one?
>>
When the he'll are North Star gonna release their Dwarf models? I feel like there was tons of hype and they posted all over Facebook about it and then nothing.
>>
>>54903316
Shit, I looked on that site but I didn't see it. Thanks, dude.
>>
>>54901959
Probably a strange question but: is there a pokemon battle ruleset?
Alternatively, is there an arena fighter ruleset you recommend that may work?
>>
>>54903339
when are they releasing more info on the goblins is what i want
>>
Hey guys, I just wanted to thank you all. Upon seeing SoBaH recommended a bunch of times here, I gave it a shot with my mates. We used what we had for terrain and some paper minis. After a few games we found ourselves raiding the reaper bones shelf at our lgs. The game is absolutely brilliant!

So show me your warbands. I want inspiration!
>>
File: sbh_zombies4b.jpg (1MB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
sbh_zombies4b.jpg
1MB, 1024x768px
>>54904006

Ace, it is a fun little thing isn't it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivEnd56lBNg
>>
File: IMAG1452.jpg (1MB, 2688x1520px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG1452.jpg
1MB, 2688x1520px
>>54904006
Glad you like it. I recommend it probably more than anons here like. This is my dudes I just painted up. I'll take more proper pictures when they're done. They're aquatic themed for a campaign module I'm working on.
>>
>>54901985
I'm less and less thrilled about the new releases sadly...but I still need to get the gnolls and barbarians. Come to think of it, not sure why I need them, maybe that's why I'm not thrilled - but I digress. These will make nice Haradrim or Umbar corsairs IMHO - add pavése, and ta-da, cheap as fuck Corsaid crossbowmen.

>>54902017
I think they were, but I might be wrong. The new Warlord/Pro Gloria Landsknecht seems to be in the same style as well.

>>54903519
There's a card game - I had a starter back in the days, and I'm not sure you'd need more than that. Maybe switch the card of the Pokémon for a miniature in case you have one.

Other than that, maybe a fantasy gladiatorial game with magic could be a good basis.

>>54903796
Me too, anon. Moria needs some prowlers and blackshields.
>>
Who else here is a painter fag who's just here to scope out new mini ranges and isn't an autistic kid looking for a new sonichu flavour of the month game?

Whats your favourite line of minis to paint?
>>
>>54904443
i've been looking for a orc alternative for a mordor army so i was excited to see them but there has literally been nothing after
>>
I've been reading Dungeon Meshi.

Does anyone make "kobolds" in that style? I've seen some SF minis that would be close enough, but nothing that really does the whole "literally just a dog on two legs" thing right.
>>
File: 5493691g9VNz1501614684.jpg (59KB, 620x400px) Image search: [Google]
5493691g9VNz1501614684.jpg
59KB, 620x400px
>>54904443
>>
>>54905833
'scusi?
>>
>>54905853
He's a moron with his redditposter bullshit memes. Reddit posters are the Boogeyman right now, and some morons think a certain way of linking and spacing is a way to tell someone is a redditor. As if that method hasn't been here as long as 4chan has
>>
>>54905067
Probably Otherworld is you want good old fashioned dogbolds.
>>
File: 1498224057022.png (208KB, 807x935px) Image search: [Google]
1498224057022.png
208KB, 807x935px
>>54906400
>he thinks i can't pick out redditposters with 100% accuracy
>>
File: 1481626910872.jpg (123KB, 500x1262px) Image search: [Google]
1481626910872.jpg
123KB, 500x1262px
I need cyberpunk minis in 28mm scale. Having a tough time finding stuff that's still in print.
Any recommendations? Was going to grab the Major and Batou from Hasslefree, but after that I don't know. Found some pretty cool stuff on Moonraker like cops and scavenger-types.
>>
>>54906776
The first thing to come to mind would be Human Interface and Infinity miniatures.
>>
>>54901985
Must say, I'm not fussed about actually playing frostgrave but I like how versatile their plastics are.

Especially since they recently started selling individual sprues I believe.
>>
>>54906861
>Human Interface
Is there a way to buy them without fucking around with Kickstarter? Also, are they metal or plastic? I don't use plastics.
>Infinity
I'll keep looking, but most of their stuff seems too high-sci-fi, if that makes sense. Lots of crazy robots and shit with swords.
>>
>>54906936
They sell metals and plastics, and the board game is out for regular retail.
>>
File: BGC-03.jpg (13KB, 390x176px) Image search: [Google]
BGC-03.jpg
13KB, 390x176px
>>54906776
Oh, also, I found the perfect Section 6 cops on Ground Zero Games. However, they're only in 25 mm scale (does anyone even play that scale? never heard of it before) so I'm kind of worried about buying them since they might be midgets compared to Major and Batou from Hasslefree. It'd help if GZG actually had images for more than 1/10 of their inventory since I'm sure they have other stuff that would be great.
>>
>>54904595
There's always the old WGF orcs that Warlord sell now.

Shame you can't get the Zvezda orcs anymore.
>>
>>54907092
25mm is essentially small 28mm. Citadel used to make stuff in that scale way back when.

It used to sort of be the standard until scale creep bumped it up to 28mm.
>>
>>54907175
I guess it should work fine then as I think in the last thread I hard Hasslefree's stuff is pretty small for 28mm. So hopefully the Major will be roughly in scale with those cops, I guess.
>>
>>54904294

I really like the ruleset generally, but there are two points that really bother me and I can't get past it - Combat rating being the same for shooting and melee, so an expert archer is automatically a great fighter, and the knock down / push back effects being an arbitrary 50/50 chance.

Has anybody encountered any good house rules that address this?
>>
File: 1500671613399.gif (2MB, 237x240px) Image search: [Google]
1500671613399.gif
2MB, 237x240px
>>54907202
Are you going for a world record?
>>
>>54904270
what line are these cheeky fellows from? I thought perhaps essex at first but not sure. just old citadel?
>>
Anyone have experience with Warmaster here? I'm curious about differences/preferences/opinions between the living rulebook community update vs the original rules and updates from gw.
>>
>>54907192
I actually have some GZG stuff so I threw together a quick comparison shot with a Standard Reference Peasant™
>>
>>54907338
Thanks man. Hopefully it works out okay. I try not to mix minis from different companies when I'm making warbands but I think I have to with something apparently so obscure.
>>
>>54907266
Found the blog via reverse image search, they're old citadel

http://ministuff.godzilla.se/?tag=adams
>>
>>54907252
Wut. Are you the sperglord that was in the other thread accusing everyone that put a space in their post of being a redditor? Kys.
>>
File: $_57.jpg (56KB, 1008x510px) Image search: [Google]
$_57.jpg
56KB, 1008x510px
>>54907338
I found this picture of a Hasslefree pilot miniature and it seems to be about 25mm tall as well. Comparing this with the GZG mini in your pic, I'm pretty confident that some GZG AD police and the Major from Hasslefree will look fine next to each other.
>>
New Skarrd rules for Dark Age are up, for anyone that cares.

Holy fuck, dat Cult of Dacay. A stacking -2 AR effect on attacks and Irradiated giving enemies -1 AS and PW on melee attacks.
>>
>>54907958
That is a Grymn pilot.
Grymn are the Hasslefree sci-fi dwarves.
>>
>>54908920
Oh shit. Maybe it's a no-go then. Shame, too, because the GZG police models look PERFECT.
>>
>>54908932
Khurasan, Puppetswar, Human Interface and Reaper all have some nice 28mm sci-fi police.
>>
>>54909007
Yeah, the HINT ones look great, but I didn't see any way to get them without buying the whole game.
>>
>>54909091
Did you check their homepage?
http://www.shop.hint-thegame.com/en_US/c/PRODUCTS/18/2
You can get the expansion for the base game with the police squad, a bundle with all the police minis and a box of just 5 guys and the characters separately as blisters.
>>
>>54909207
Weird, don't know how I missed all this stuff. My bad. Thanks!
>>
>>54906936
While Infinity has some crazy shit like Kazakhstani werewolves and space knights, a lot of it is a perfect fit for a general cyberpunk setting. The entire aesthetic and all of the designs are explicitly (As in stated on their website) inspired by Masamune Shirow's aesthetic and designs, so expect to see plenty of GitS and Appleseed expies.
>>
File: IMG_20170816_224052807.jpg (822KB, 2592x1456px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170816_224052807.jpg
822KB, 2592x1456px
>>54904006

Finally got home, quickly set up the light box and used my crappy phone camera, so apologies.

90s plastic is my fetish.
>>
File: IMG_20170816_224524998.jpg (891KB, 2592x1456px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170816_224524998.jpg
891KB, 2592x1456px
>>54904006
>>54909853

And the Legion of Shadow, various hooded horrors
>>
>>54908354
>stacking -2 ARM
Well fuck. That sounds brutal. Good way to really weaken the big Dragyri that are all ARM 20. Makes them a lot easier to kill, which is not a good thing to someone who wants to play said big aliens.
>>
>>54910137
They actually get Dragyri "zombies", which are actually nasty. 50% chance on hit to Knockdown, and they get 2 of those attacks in an AG.

The Cult of Decay looks nasty. They have a [2]500 psychogenic model that throws out a Blast 1 splash that gives rot counters, the tribal mother has a PW 8 that gives out Rot. Since Rot is on hit, its basically PW 10. Should note, Rot only affects living, so not that great against C.O.R.E. They also have a 75 pts. guy that gives Buzzblades Irradiated, meaning you can swarm with them and make the army durable as against melee.

I can't figure out which is my favorite overall; the fact the Abomination has a radiation cannon that melts people, or that (spoilers) Marius was turned into a centaur flesh golem thing.
>>
Does somebody have a few reccomendations for 15mm fantasy stuff? I saw the gorgeous not-vostroyans from Onslaught and the 15mm bug bit me again.
>>
>>54911831
What do you prefer about 15mm vs 28mm? Just curious. I don't really see what it offers.
>>
>>54912032
Big battles ala Warmaster.
>>
>>54912193
Thanks. I guess it's like a happy medium between 6mm and 28mm then? For battles that are big, but not huge? I've never played Warmaster. Is it like the fantasy version of Epic?
>>
>>54912032
Not him, but I like the smaller sizes because it makes distances bigger and feel more epic, and 15mm is still big enough to have some nice details on the models.
>>
>>54911076
All I'm seeing here is
>Hide yo Arbiters, hide yo Spirit Lords, they rapin' everybody up in here.
>>
>>54912032
Not that poster, but for big scake I like 15mm. Models are easy enough to tell apart, but take half as long to paint and you can get bigger armies on the table without it being stupidly crowded.
>>
Speaking of cyberpunk, what would you guys like to see in a cybperunk skirmish-level wargame?
>>
>>54913601
Hacking feasible and done simple but with some variety and specializations
>>
>>54913736
What would you use hacking for during a battle?
>>
>>54913750
Inhibiting or controlling advanced battle armor and robots, use in scenarios, etc, hacking other hackers. But this needs to be done in a way that doesn't make it so battle armor and robots are obsolete for fear of hackers, and scenarios can still be win without them
>>
>>54913786
Cool ideas, thanks.
>>
>>54911076
>Should note, Rot only affects living, so not that great against C.O.R.E.
Excellent news. I'm guessing irradiate still affects them, though? I haven't seen the new info, yet.
>>
>>54906515
Yeah, they're just not big cute doggo enough, I think. Maybe I'll just headswap some chunky HEROIC 28mm humans and paint the big beefy arms like they're furry.
>>
>>54913736
I'm tempted to say you should have a sideboard for cyberspace and let hackers (at various terminals, or wirelessly) deploy characters into it.

Something like https://govgensectorsix.blogspot.co.nz/2014/03/the-secret-war-part-i-cleaning-house.html which was inspired by someone on lead adventure, which had much brighter neon colours.

http://www.lead-adventure.de/index.php?topic=63144.msg779213#msg779213 shows some of the miniatures (scroll down), and http://www.lead-adventure.de/index.php?topic=63144.msg1035912#msg1035912 has some of the cyberspace stuff.

Just tie locations and npcs/opfor in cyberspace to real-world effects, maybe.

upvote if u like my post, and feel free to buy me reddit gold
>>
>>54915380
Yup, it is just enemy model, it doesn't care about living or dead. Luckily, its not a hugely common ability, except if you go Buzzblade spammy. Only the characters, Abom, and the Fallout, who gives it to up to 6 Buzzblades have it. As opposed to Rot, where all but 2 models have some way of spreading it, and almost all their psychogenics can.

Decay counters the Brood really well, especially since they have a psychogenic made for fucking with them. Its a 8" PW6 shot that has Rot and Horrible Death, However, if targeting a model with a Dying counter, it becomes Blast 3. Adding in that each Decay model can just remove a Dying counter from a model in 6" per activation, and they were designed just to fuck with medics and Brood.
>>
>>54915720
While having some sort of cyber advanture minigame going on along with the skirmish game, I don't think it will be as cool as you think in practice.

It would really only apply in certain situations, like if you were facing a team with another hacker or if the scenario called for it. Otherwise it just either doesn't happen, or is really boring. On top of needing another set of tiles and terrain and minis that nobody wants to pack around if they can avoid it.

But again, it might be cool. Like while the skirmish game goes on, there could be a separate phase for hacking, or when the hacker activates, he gets several actions in cyberspace representing how things move faster there than in the real world.

I don't know. It might be cool, but it seems like it could be a distraction of the flow in the regular game.
>>
So a homebrewer from last thread, linking to last thread for reference >>54869887

I was thinking about the Armor bit some more, and the more I think about it, the less I'm happy with the regenerating HP idea. Mainly, it just doesn't feel like how armor works. Conventional armor, that is. So I played with some more ideas.

How does this sound instead?
>When a model with Armor(X) takes damage, if the amount of damage is X or lower, then reduce the damage taken by 1.

So if a model with Armor(3) is hit, any attacks with a damage of 3 or less is reduced, but higher than that is normal.

Also, if we are looking at an average damage spread on attacks as 2/3/5, I'm wondering if the base line for this Armor rule should be 2 or 3? 3 feels pretty strong for a baseline. But at the same time, at 2, its really only protecting against the low damage of the spread and melee, since melee numbers will be toned down a little lower. If we are talking about a power armored faction with the best armor that humanity has to offer, would going on the higher end be justified without turning into "T4 3+" bloat like 40k suffers?
>>
>>54912032
>>54912219
I also like to play Skirmish or Platoon level games in 15mm. You can easily have big tables in that scale, because you practically double the table size when compared to 28mm. It's also way easier to model to scale, both vehicles and terrain. Most 28mm vehicles are way too small and the terrain gets unwieldy, especially in Skirmish, while still being way out of scale. In 15mm you can have properly sized buildings and roads while still maintaining ease of play on the terrain.
The only real downsides of 15mm is that converting infantry is way harder and the entire painting and converting part of the hobby suffers. For that reason I like it better than 10mm, which some people swear by especially for mass battles.
>>
>>54909875

That Gobbo looks like he's been adopted
>>
Terrain making is tough, man. I can paint and model miniatures okay but it's like a whole different skill set.
>>
>>54918116
What are you trying to make anon?
>>
>>54916127
How much HP did you have again, 6?

So if you have Armor(3) as the default "Decently Armored Man", an average 3-damage hit becomes 2-damage, making it take about 3 hits to kill a dude. I don't think this is too bad, but it depends on how many mans are in play. Too many mans, and that becomes irritating to track.

There is also the chance of you taking them out with 2 hits (a 5-damage, and then any more). And you can get situational benefits or whatever other stuff to mess with these numbers.

Try it with 3. Lower it if it's a problem. You'll know more once you start getting other stuff made.
>>
>>54918242

Dark age housing, just simple wooden farms and stuff.
>>
>>54918388
Just remember that a little planning goes a long way, even more than usual when making buildings. You might benefit from knocking up some templates so you can more easily produce a few generic cottages and then make them more interesting by changing up the decor.

Got any pics of your progress? Maybe some of the experienced terrain makers here can give more specific tips to help you out.
>>
>>54907316
Why wouldn't you use the living rulebook? It incorporates the original material, updates and subsequent errata. There's not really a downside.
>>
>>54911831
Check out copplestone, splintered light and eureka.
>>
File: download.jpg (13KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
13KB, 259x194px
Help me /awg/ I have spent my hobby budget for the month and yet I feel a strong urge to buy a Savasku fleet from GZG and learn ink/glaze blending to paint them like this

I've already written a fleet list that uses as many weird guns as possible to give them a "bioweapon" feel:

EMP guns for "tendrils cause ship to be covered in lightning"
Railguns and one-shot KKVs for "massive spines"
Teleporter beams and boarding pods for infesting ships with parasites

Then the mothership, the Exelio Class, has a black hole cannon.

Would this be awesome? A pastel fleet of crustacean bioships giving no fucks.
>>
>>54912032
Alright, so, here's the breakdown on scales:

The smaller you go the more realistic wargames look.

28mm is the bog standard GW crammed down your throat, but a standard game of 40k or WHFB or KoW (whatever your poison is) won't LOOK like a battle, it won't. You don't have enough stuff on a 6x4" table or 8x4" table for it to be a fight. If you do have enough stuff you don't have any maneuverability at all, you filled the table with 28mm doods, good job.

So the rule of thumb is bigger scales are better for skirmishing (although 6mm skirmish games are dope if you're in to napoleonics) where you have a handfull of dudes exploring terrain (or cheesecake board games like kingdom death). Generally things where you want individual models to look impressive.

As you drop down in scale a couple things happen: Painting becomes much faster, and the battles start looking more like a total war game.

For 15mm armour games (that's tanks chad) are much better, you get way more tanks and jeeps on a table, the dudes look great five to a base, and there's plenty of room for driving around your glorified hotwheels cars. Love it.

Fantasy in 15mm is this weird middleground between 28mm and the rest of the scales (coming after this). 15mm humans, or elves (whatever your gender is), still have a lot of great detail (especially if they're well sculpted) and are never over-designed (you know how GW likes to do it). So what you get are clean minis which look great at a distance, are easy to paint, and look great close up.

10mm Is the smaller slightly uglier cousin to 15mm.

6mm/3mm/2mm are all great but they function the same in terms of scale.

Once you get this small (2mm especially) you've lost a lot of detail (but checkout microwroldgames if you're interested in 6mm with lots of detail) but even with low detail models (irregular miniatures I'm looking at you) there's often a lot of great textures to paint and they look stunning when you've got an army of them.
>>
>>54919185
Also a final closing point, possibly the most important:

Storage, Transport and Cost.

As scale decreases cost goes down, you can get a 6mm army for 30 bucks, 60 if you want something fuckhuge

Dedicated painting you'll be done in a weekend.

Transport? Small tacklebox will hold two armies, maybe three. Ditto for storage. You can fit thousands of armies on one bookshelf.
>>
File: hot113_slide_600pix_large.jpg (27KB, 480x322px) Image search: [Google]
hot113_slide_600pix_large.jpg
27KB, 480x322px
Alternative Armies just released a cute lil 15mm skeleton gun.

>>54919182
Sounds good to me, I like me some horrific space aliens.
>>
>>54919185
I'd also add what you lose in individual model customisability with 15mm (conversions are hard at anything below 1/72 really) you gain in the sheer variety of manufacturers and ranges.
>>
>>54919185
15mm fanboys...do you people ever stop 28mm will always be industry standard.
>>
>>54919275
Actually judging by GW's course of action 32mm is about to become the industry standard.
>>
>>54901985
looks nice. got barbarians and cultists, need soldiers, orcs, gnolls and now these ones. damn.
but at least then I'll be set for absolutely ANY human encounters I may be needing in any game
>>
>>54919275
>15mm fanboys...do you people ever stop 28mm will always be industry standard.
You're on the /awg general. What are you talking about? Go back to /40K or /wmh if you're not interested in alternative scales and games.
>>
File: S01E05-XI97D5xk-subtitled.jpg (58KB, 700x532px) Image search: [Google]
S01E05-XI97D5xk-subtitled.jpg
58KB, 700x532px
>>54919275

Yeah, how dare he post about 15mm scale in /awg/, the alternative wargames general. Too right mate.

I'm 28mm all the way myself but I can appreciate why, stuff's cheap like Historicals are too.
>>
>>54909875
>various hooded horrors
>a fucking night goblin
Top lel my friend.
>>
>>54919327
>>54919308
guys, we are starting to have shitpost, you can either leave it there as an occasional unjun joke, or reply to it en masse and make the thread shittier. Of course he wasn't serious.
>>
>>54919345
Is shitposting the fate of all popular generals? Maybe it was better when these threads would hit 100 posts and go under.
>>
File: Architects-of-War-Dark-Age-00.jpg (219KB, 890x490px) Image search: [Google]
Architects-of-War-Dark-Age-00.jpg
219KB, 890x490px
>>54919330

Aha, I was considering leaving him out of the photo as he's not as spooky, but he is their little friend ;_;
>>
File: Test Rules.pdf (462KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Test Rules.pdf
462KB, 1x1px
I've been working on a fantasy skirmish game in the vein of Mordheim, with the goal of creating a more streamlined game that doesn't take as long to understand. I'd appreciate any criticism.

I'm planning to use an I go, you go system where both sides draw from a pool of activation points in order to move, shoot, etc. Each unit would have a cap of 3 activations per turn since you don't want one guy running around and doing everything while the rest of the team watches gormlessly.

The combat system is based on an interaction of unit stats and equipment, where different weapons will allow units to make different attacks (ie a halberd can both be used for stabbing, which increases the number of attacks, or hacking, which ignores up to a certain class of shield)

Bear in mind this is a very early draft, meant to show how the basic systems work, there will be some inconsistencies and I'm going to rewrite a lot of stats, but this should give a general idea.
>>
File: Mordheim Fence.jpg (117KB, 650x450px) Image search: [Google]
Mordheim Fence.jpg
117KB, 650x450px
>>54919404
I forgot to mention, I'm also writing fluff for a setting and will be adding rules for campaigns once I'm happy with the skirmish rules.
>>
>>54919185
>10mm Is the smaller slightly uglier cousin to 15mm.
>6mm/3mm/2mm are all great but they function the same in terms of scale.
I'll expand a bit for you, since it sounds like you don't actually play these scales:

10mm is popular for fantasy mass battle games and company-level scifi - warmaster and dropzone commander come to mind. It's the smallest scale where you can still easily identify hero characters, but gives a big battle feel. It also lets you make all your monstrous creatures out of discarded 28mm stuff, much like 15mm. For scifi, it works really well for urban battle setups with lots of infantry and armor, but it's still a bit cramped to model artillery or aircraft well.

6mm hits all the same notes as 10mm, at a larger size, with the downside that at this scale human-sized figures become "faceless". Locations of important individuals will likely be marked with flags or similar. On the other hand, this is the largest scale where you can really do a good job of modeling varied terrain types, artillery, aircraft, naval, communications, fog of war, etc on a normal size table. Epic used this scale to do 40K battles with all the huge formations and titan mechs.

2mm / 3mm (corresponding to 1:1200 and 1:600, approximately) change the focus. At this point, any infantry are usually just tokens, and even armor may be modeled with multiple tanks/base. But you can do big stuff like naval engagement and mass land battles well. This scale is thus popular for modern, alt history, and hard scifi. Dystopian wars is an example.
>>
>>54919372
it is of course, did you really think you can have a biggish community without people saying some retarded jokes sometimes? Shitposting isn't even that bad as long as it doesn't take over the general. Just don't be retarded enough to get triggered by clearly joking posts. If you don't get all worked up about your thread quality it can even be fun.
>>
File: 13328.png (304KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
13328.png
304KB, 500x500px
>>54906776
How do stripper cyborgs appeal?
Syntha from Urban War might work. Also available in beefcake flavour.
>>
File: 13311_Achilles_Class_Biomech.jpg (36KB, 248x272px) Image search: [Google]
13311_Achilles_Class_Biomech.jpg
36KB, 248x272px
>>54919839
>>
>>54919839
>>54919958
I really dislike how all the biomechs became weird beefcake things
I was really digging the basic cheesy-ish synths and then suddenly the tone shifts hard to "sexy" and I was left confused.
>>
>>54919185
>The smaller you go the more realistic wargames look.
That's not true. I always hate that when people bring this up, they entirely close out the possibility of engagements that take place in close quarters.
>>
>>54915916
Sounds like Skaard got some mean updates and are gonna be a force to be reckoned with on the table. Rot sounds brutal, and buzzblade spam could be vicious if it ends up not being a dud of a technique.

I imagine a fair number od their units are either squishy or expensive.
>>
>>54920299
Agreed, it's an over-generalization. You should choose a scale appropriate to what you're trying to portray for a given game. 28mm is wonderful for small numbers of infantry models in relatively confined spaces, like urban. It falls apart when you try to portray long-range weapons, large numbers of combatants, or large vehicles / monsters (a fact GW seems hellbent on proving by example).

15mm gives you a nice middle ground where you can still focus on the infantry, but get a lot of them and start mixing in some bigger stuff like vehicles, too. 10mm lets you do big battles with men and tanks that still have some individual detail. 6mm lets you have squad-level infantry, but also some big stuff like aircraft and titans, along with more realistic weapon ranges, on the same table. 1-3mm lets you go all out with the big stuff, bringing out entire fleets and battalions.
>>
>>54919513
>this is the largest scale where you can really do a good job of modeling varied terrain types

What exactly do you mean by that? Proper, huge minefields, swamps or forest patches? Because I've seen a lot of great and varied terrain for 10 and 15mm
>>
>>54921315
No of course you can have good looking terrain at larger scales, but at 6mm you can actually have multiple different types at a realistic size. So for instance, a 15mm game might be set in a "forest", or in a "city", but you're only getting a handful of realistically-scaled tree clumps or buildings on the table.

At 6mm, you can actually get multiple city blocks, or a whole castle, or actually large areas of trees and vegetation, and it's possible to have multiple different types of terrain on one table. At larger scales, you can usually only do this by having the terrain be "reprentative" or very out-of-scale to the minis. The extreme case would be, again, like GW where a 'manufactorum' scales to be smaller than my apartment.
>>
>>54921390
Okay, so we were on the same page. I got into 15mm precisely because of my scale autism and I love building terrain to scale, but you don't get a few blocks or completely different terrain this way.
>>
>>54922310
I remember reading an article a ways back that argued that the ideal scale for a wargame was such that whatever model represented "real brute power" scaled to be the size of your hand. Like there's something cathartic about a putting down a chunky +/- 4 inch / 100mm model and having it dominate its local area on the table. So like, for instance, DW is 1:1200 which makes battleships and carriers about that size. Same goes for scifi space battleships at 1:2400. Age of sail games are usually 1:600 so same applies for their flagships. 6mm makes a 40k large titan about 4" tall. At 10mm, dropzone's superheavies come in about that weight. At 15mm, it's an MBT totally dominating the street where it has a firelane. At 28mm, that's the size of a Greater Demon or a Heavy Warjack. And so on.
>>
>>54920031
To be fair you could just paint their bodies in a neutral black or white and they'd look a lot less sexed up.
>>
File: FF Cover-min.jpg (3MB, 2480x3508px) Image search: [Google]
FF Cover-min.jpg
3MB, 2480x3508px
So this is the first AWG project I've actually finished. It's a pretty simple objective-focused multiplayer game that pits 2-6 players against a chromatic dragon on its home turf.

Depending on the type of adventurer chosen, players may be working to kill the monster or steal its treasure, along with a raft of secondary objectives to keep things varied.

Players have some customization options, with 3 stat line variants and 3 weapon choices per adventurer, and 5 different types of dragon.

It'll be up on WargameVault over the next few days for £9ish, should be a pretty decent way to kill a couple of hours with some replay value.
>>
>>54924287
How does the dragon function?
>>
>>54924345
Players generate noise markers/tokens whenever they do anything (moving, attacking etc), and the dragon moves towards whichever adventurer has the highest number of tokens on their base.

Most of its abilities activate automatically:
>Eg: The Lashing Tail is automatically triggered if at least 1 Adventurer is within 3” in a 90 degree arc behind the Dragon.

All Adventurers within the 90 degree arc and 3” of the Dragon’s rear quarter must pass an Agility check or suffer 1d3+S damage.
>>
File: SANY2448.jpg (448KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
SANY2448.jpg
448KB, 1600x1200px
>>54907092
They used to do a pretty shit Motoko figure. They still do some nice Appleseed stuff though.
>>
>>54919275
15mm is the standard though.
>>
>Citadel (obvs)
>Marauder
>Grenadier
>Iron Claw
>Ral Partha
>Eureka
>Asgard
>Foundry

Are there any other "Oldhammer" miniature companies I might be forgetting?
>>
>>54920721
Fairly squishy. Buzzblade spam is like slave spam, reliant on the numbers. They are still 1 wound models with DF6 and AR12.
>>
>>54924761
Black tree design, Mirliton/Forlorn Hope (they sell mostly the same stuff, Mirliton is better imo)
>>
>>54924761
fenryll miniatures. And i am pretty sure i am missing some otehrs, but they don't come to mind.
>>
>>54924761
Casting Room
>>
>>54924761
Vendel miniatures (sold through Sgt Major) are pretty oldhammery/lotr in aesthetic
>>
>>54919513
I play 6mm and 3mm, but not 10

thanks for expanding

character limit meant I was hampered
>>
>>54925081
thought sgt major are now pretty much done? are they the one with the very poorly owner?
>>
>>54925366
No idea, store still seems to be up though

http://sgmm.3dcartstores.com/
>>
>>54925436
>no image available on 5 out of the first 6 products i see
nope! not throwing money at a company that obviously doesn't give a fuck, especially when i have no idea what i'm paying for
>>
>>54925550
That's depressingly common amongst webstores, unfortunately.
>>
>>54924761
Knightmare
And White Knight if you can get your hands on them. He sold some of the minis off to the assault group though iirc.
>>
>>54925817
White Knights Dwarves and Halflings are available through TAG now. I have some of the 'flings, they're pretty gud.
>>
File: WwWaZE4.jpg (505KB, 2448x1836px) Image search: [Google]
WwWaZE4.jpg
505KB, 2448x1836px
>>54925550

Unfortunately a lot of these "cottage" manufacturers are stuck in the 90s when it comes to their webstores. Em4 Miniatures is another one for the list >>54924761, the tiny pictures they do have really undersell the metal sculpts.
>>
>>54924287
http://www.wargamevault.com/product/219313/Fire-and-Fang Here's the store page if you want to check it out.
>>
>two cards are wrong in my Heroquest box

Shit, going to be fun finding replacements
>>
>>54927402
Isn't that a boardgame...?
>>
File: FB_IMG_1500932459479.jpg (41KB, 929x500px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1500932459479.jpg
41KB, 929x500px
>>54927437

I suppose yeah, I'd say dungeon crawlers with miniatures for painting are a bit of both worlds.
>>
>>54919392
this is adorable
>>
>>54920299
so you mean larger scales are more realistic for skirmish games and smaller scales are more realistic for wargames

go play your call of doodie over at >>>/v/
>>
>>54927468
So not a wargame then? Because it doesn't seem to be on the list linked in the OP.
>>
>>54918265
Well, decently armored isn't the best way to describe it, and I do apologize for that. Its decently armored compared to other things with heavy armor. Its still supposed to be a guy in a fullsuit of powered armor. And I think I am going to go with crits adding to the damage. I'm playing with the idea of limited exploding dice, in the sense that the core roll can roll more on a natural 12, but those extra rolls can't generate more rolls, moving crits to be if you roll doubles or more. It makes crits stand out a little more, and solves some number issues I was fretting over.

I'm looing at a "picturesque" force of the power armored guys being something like a commander, a mystic, 2 base guys, and 2 specialists or heavy weapon guys; while the high end would be twice that for swarmy armies. The middle ground would be 8-10 models.
>>
File: elves.jpg (188KB, 1080x700px) Image search: [Google]
elves.jpg
188KB, 1080x700px
>>54927514

Christ mate, nothing better to do?

Is a hex or grid-based skirmish game a wargame?
>>
>>54927612
Is Heroquest a skirmish game now? When did that happen?
>>
>>54927622

Well they aren't having fucking tea parties are they, silly dickhead.
>>
>>54927654
So any game about fighting is a wargame now? Cool, you guys see the trailer for the newest DBZ game?
>>
dungeon crawlers are literally board games
>>
I prefer the 28mm vs 32/35mm arguments to this.
>>
>>54927927
We could start one up? Or revive the 2/3/6/10/15/25/28/32/35mm discussions from above?

We haven't even touched 1/48 scale wargaming!
>>
>>54927966
On that matter, how do you convert 1:X to mm and vice versa?
>>
>>54927989
generally, they don't convert - not nicely anyways.

1:56 is considered to be "true" 28mm, and 1:100 is "close enough" to 15mm.
>>
>>54927989
http://theminiaturespage.com/ref/scales.html
Just refer to this when necessary. Always use a scale measurement rather than a mm measurement when you're trying to design to scale too, the mm system is a bit flawed in that it can't be applied to terrain building and the like as anything but an approximation.
>>
>>54919275
Funny joek
>>
>>54907092
25mm used to be the scale, until it crept into the bastard known as 28mm scale, and then that crept into "Heroic" scale, if we follow Citadel and Gamesworkshop on their jaunt from the 80's.
>>
File: Better Hasslefree scale ref.jpg (1MB, 2240x1484px) Image search: [Google]
Better Hasslefree scale ref.jpg
1MB, 2240x1484px
>>54907092
Section Six is the Rangers, aren't they? I seem to recall that the guy Motoko was fucking in the Spider Tank storyline was S6, and they mentioned that only the S6 "rangers" and one of the other departments got thermoptics besides S9 in the first movie.

>>54908932
25mm scale means 25mm to the eyes. 32mm usually means 32mm >high<. The robustness of the figs/sculpts is usually more of a thing than their "scale". GZG tend to go a little shorter and stouter than HF, but both are MUCH more slender than GW, and far smaller than the Infiniti stuff (which is often ~40mm high, a full cm over these models)

Here's a full-scaled, decent-lighting shot of some of those Hasslefree minis from the last bread. Sorry about not getting these up sooner.
>>
Does anybody know what scale HINT is? Was thinking of grabbing these for a homebrew.
>>
>>54912032
>What do you prefer about 15mm vs 28mm? Just curious. I don't really see what it offers.
From a personal perspective? I don't use 15mm in Fantasy, but I love it in mid-scale mecha games and large skirmishes.
• Models cost about a third as much as their 28mm equivalents to make, and often around a quarter of them retail.
• Not as ugly, fragile, or flat as 6mm
• Interfaces well with 1/144 (N-scale) terrain and models, which means I can use a lot really cheap stuff for everything from WWII/Team Yankee to Mechwarrior and Heavy Gear
It's about the smallest scale worth actually painting and converting the infantry, but they're still generic enough that I can get away with having a bunch of pseudo-modern duders in multiple time frames. I can do a quickie 15mm project that winds up giving me a decent looking 4/4 and a company-scale engagement for like forty dollars. Did I mention the sheer ass-blasting >breadth< of 1/144 models and terrain out there? Because holy shit.
>>
>>54928763
Got any pictures of N-scale terrain next to 15mm soldiers? It seems like it'd be far closer to 10mm than 15.
>>
File: darkage.jpg (94KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
darkage.jpg
94KB, 960x720px
This new Dark Age stuff is sick. Images are showing up from GenCon of the Skarrd models, and they look gorgeous.

The new rules for Skarrd cults look like a great modernization of what they were supposed to do. Cult of Toxin stacks debuffs, Blood Cult is a bit of a rolling token/buff builder, Metamorphasis stacks enemy malfunction chance...
>>
>>54929044
Sweet, didn't expect to see Decay stuff so soon.

I'm liking Decay and Meta more than Toxic or Blood's rules, though. Might be because the cult model selection is low for them, but also Blood relies on either fighting a swarm, or bringing a swarm to die to get the most out of their ability. Toxic is definitely just the lack of cult models to take advantage of theit rules. I'm normally all for that build up to a payoff style gameplay.

Also small thing that everyone is going to overlook is that Skarrd only suffer -2 for shooting into combat, instead of the normal -4.
>>
>>54929044
Yeah the new sculpts for DA just get better and better.
>>
My favorite part is how the Decay zombies are totally zombified grunts from other factions: Looks like a Slaver, a Wasteland warrior, a Salt Nomad, a Bane and some other forsaken warrior.

Skarrd don't have much good shooting though, so -2 AS into combat's pretty decent, but it's of lower quality than other groups.
>>
File: 1498267377389.gif (2MB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
1498267377389.gif
2MB, 300x168px
Which should I homebrew; a simple, SoBaH-level game for playing skirmishes in the 40K universe, the GitS universe or the Ultima universe?
>>
>>54929602
It doesn't help a lot, but it does help with the little they do have, especially for things like cleaning up chaff trying to tie you up.
>>
>>54929791
>SoBaH-level game for playing skirmishes in the 40K universe
You'd get the most milage/player base out of this one.

Honestly, I think most of the best GW games are ones that GW had nothing to do with.
>>
>>54929791
Not sure how it compares to SoBaH, but Stargrunt 2 is a very nice sci-fi skirmish system that's easy to get into.
>>
>>54930045
Yeah that's true.
>>54930167
I'll check that out, thanks man.
>>
>>54901985
Neat, I can use these as corsair raiders (Empire militia) in my army.
>>
>>54929791
Andrea Sfiligoi, the guy who wrote the SoBaH ruleset did make Rogue Stars, but it's very very granular. But that is a scifi game designed for around 4-6 models each side.

However, Andrea is also currently developing a game system called Harder than Steel, which is much closer to the SoBaH game engine with the same spirit of the game, but a tad more granular. Like an additional stat or 2, rather than the 2 from SoBaH. He explained it in a post on the facebook page, and it sounded pretty exciting. It is currently being alpha tested, and I hope to be beta testing when he opens it up later this year.
>>
>>54930273
That sounds great, thanks for letting me know
>>
>>54929791
There is also Five Parsecs from home, which runs on the FiveCore engine.
I haven't read it myself, but heard very good things about it.

If you want a 40k skirmish game there are a bunch of homebrews around already you could look into.
Several variations of KillTeam, Necromunda or Inquisitor.
One of the more popular variants i recall was In the Emperor's Name.
That combined Inquisitor and Necromunda in a somewhat streamlined fashion.

Also to add to what >>54930273 said, there should be a pdf of RS kicking aorund online.
>>
>>54930340
I'll check those out, but I'm a brainlet when it comes to big rulebooks. Not sure if it's the ADD it's probably the ADD but fuck me, I just can't get into a game where you have to memorize tons of little details. That's why I like SoBaH so much, it's just quick and simple.
>>
>>54930372
Then you will not like Rogue Stars. Like i said, it's very granular. There are a lot of tables and charts. When playing it, I liken it to a player taking on 5 PCs from an RPG and battling another player with 5 PCs. It's quite opposite of SoBaH, but still uses a very similar core engine that has that SoBaH feel a little, even though it's based on d20's instead of d6's.

Anyway I am not that much of a fan of it. But I am really very much in love with SoBaH, which is why I am looking forward to Harder than Steel when it opens up for beta. I will be reporting on it here.
>>
>>54930453
Yeah HtS sounds great. I will definitely check it out when it's released.
>>
File: gzg_6mmscifi_painted_01.jpg (266KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
gzg_6mmscifi_painted_01.jpg
266KB, 1600x1200px
>>54925951
So much this, If it wasn't for some blogs I would have never seen how awesome some hasslefree or GZG/Brigade models are, at least the later one it's starting to pick it up.
>>
>>54930453
Unrelated, but how do you balance low Q (+2 or +3) high combat in the games? Because they mop the floor with cheap troopers quite easy, specially Q2 ones if the player know what is he doing they can rake quite the point per kill ratio. Thanks good I prefer scenarios and stuff but in straigh combat they murder everything (damned elves).
>>
Is King of War the mantic fantasy game any good?
>>
>>54931243
It's one of the best mass battles game out there imo, fast, easy to learn and wide variety of armies while being pretty balanced . Dunno why isn't more popular there, but then /tg/ ain't famous for the quality of the games it likes.
>>
>>54931282
Back when v2 came out there were plenty of Mantic/KoW threads, but yeah they dried up pretty quickly.

It didn't help that Mantic still hasn't really capitalized on the fall of WHFB, or the (less than) dramatic rise and fall of 9th Age.
It is a shame, you're spot on when you say it's one of the best mass battles games out there.
>>
>>54927510
wat
>>
>>54931344
We have Lion/dragon rampant (even harder to find players than KoW) and HWG as good mass battle games, in fantasy there aren't lots of options and the most played now are old-hammer depending of the taste of the group (from 3rd edition to 8th).
Shame really, but then Mantic is a pretty little company and had a bad rep for the quality of the minis than damaged they images and the ones from they games. And even when you can play with any minis, lots of GW (or ex-)fanboys had/have the mentality of only using "official" minis of the games, at least where I live (sbain), for idiotic as it sounds.
>>
>>54931208
As much as I love sobah, it is not balanced and is easy to exploit. Making a band entirely of Q3+ is an easy way to win games. This is because with the nature of rolling for actions, Q3+ or even 2+ is much more likely to get 3 actions off on every character before your opponent gets a chance to act.

So you have to have a mutual agreement with your opponent when building bands. Reserve Q3+ to the veterans and leaders, and 4+ and 5+ for the minions. Combat is a real points multiplier so even though you can make a warband of C5 models, you will have significantly less than your opponent.

I usually do C2 and C3 for the rookies and inexperienced. Having C4 for the real damage dealers and C5 for really big and tough models.

The sample profiles are weird, I only use them for inspiration on what special rules to take and whatnot. It's always best to build your profiles from scratch.
>>
>>54931417
I'm a fan of Lion/Dragon Rampant, but I wouldn't put them in the same category as KoW. It's missing that maneuvering blocks mechanic.

I think you're absolutely right about people just going back to WHFB and having an "official miniatures" illness.

Anecdotally, when AoSigmar dropped, my club tried to put together a group for WHFB 3rd e, but it died after a game or two. Now, no one plays fantasy games - it's all hwg and the occasional VSF skirmish or awg. We have plans to get Dragon Rampant going, but given our speed I expect that it'll happen around 2020.
>>
>>54931443
Yeah, but they are very convenient, specially when people right now are extremely lazy and if it isn't all very chewed they don't touch the stuff, spcially when awg come to play. Having the profiles it's a good way to put a warband in minutes in situ.
And thanks for the reply, it was more or less what I tought but you never know how other people deal with that stuff.
>>
>>54928640
>25mm scale means 25mm to the eyes
Although some old grogs used it to mean 25mm total, and used it to describe 1/72 figures. Which are generally called 20mm, despite some scale creep, and are definitely not suitable for use alongside more modern 25mm.

except as hobbits. that airfix robin hood box is what gygax used, and it's good enough for me.
>>
>>54929791
Ultima, if you can make virtues a thing and capture the feel that way.
>>
File: harderthansteelQ&A.png (1MB, 2044x988px) Image search: [Google]
harderthansteelQ&A.png
1MB, 2044x988px
I dug into my facebook history and found the conversation with Andrea Sfiligoi about how I learned about his coming Harder than Steel project. I copypastad the relevant posts and questions and answers; to protect the innocent I color blanked out the unique posters. I am in the Red

About this same time (february 22) I posted here on /awg/ about it and had a conversation about it then, but didn't save that part.
>>
>>54931713
I do have a few old Grenadier and Ral Partha 20mm minis. Yeah, great Hobbits but pretty shit at anything else. Unless you want to run them with Hot Wheels, anyway..
>>
>>54932403
I'm a little salty about Harder than Steel. Rogue Stars got really hyped up, came out, and it looks and feels unfinished. And then, within months of its release Sfiligoi goes and announces a new game with a similar theme. (I understand that the way it should play is completely different from RS though)
>>
>>54933400
The difference is rogue stars is being published by osprey games, whereas harder than Steel is being done by his own company, Ganesha games. He has been working on a supplement for rogue stars, which again is being published my osprey. But he got a lot of complaints about rogue stars breaking from his common game design style, so to appease his classic fans, he's been working on harder than Steel. Also rogue stars is really different from his usual work because he wanted to try a different approach to game design and wanted to do it for another company.
>>
>>54933509
Yeah, no, I get it. It just feels like a little bit of a "fuck you for buying Rogue Stars."

I hold no ill-will towards the man or what he does.
>>
Anyone seen a pdf of the new Kings of War - edge of the abyss ?
>>
>>54933544
Well I think what happened is he claims he's been working on HtS for about 5 years now. Then osprey wanted him to design them a sci-fi skirmish game, but different enough from what he was already producing for the sake of noncompetition and all that. So he made rogue stars different enough, but never left the original project.

I bought rogue stars, and it's pretty much going to be more book filler on my shelf because I didn't like it that much, so I am still searching for that modular sci-fi minis game
>>
>tfw you finally read up on ASoBaH after hearing about it so much and everyone seems to have nothing but glowing praise for it
Someone please talk me out of picking up another game while I still have a mound of unpainted figures to work through and uni work I'm rapidly falling behind on.
>>
>>54933615
>I bought rogue stars, and it's pretty much going to be more book filler on my shelf because I didn't like it that much, so I am still searching for that modular sci-fi minis game
Another anon here, I liked the idea of a the game, but reading the rules also put a dampener on my enthusiasm.
I'm sure a lot of that is due to the formatting on how the rules are laid out though. The thing that really bothered me was how restrictive the themes were. But if you go with what he posted on FB it's all just a loose guideline and he spitballs rules on there all the time.

The rulebook seemed somewhat half finished though.
The best thing about it are the artworks in it, sadly the minis don't really capture the style well.

>>54934020
It's a game you don't need new minis for. Just make rules for the models you already have. If anything it's a good excuse to finish some of your backlog.
Try to approach it like that.
>>
>>54934020
From all the poisons you could pick, aSoBaH it's far from the worse, and it lets you play with any mini you have collecting dust here and there. If anything another anon playing it will be welcome, it's a good game little game than need more players.
>>
>>54932403
Sounds pretty good, perhaps the armor thingie will let us balance OP Q+C minis more.
>>
>>54934044
>>54934052
Geez anons, I said to talk me out of it. Clearing out my backlog does sound like a good idea though. Maybe I can break out some of my LotR Dwarves and Easterlings that have been sitting neglected for the past 7 years and paint them up to standard for it. All I've gotta do then is rope a friend into playing it with me.
>>
File: 1502165905186.webm (3MB, 1000x541px) Image search: [Google]
1502165905186.webm
3MB, 1000x541px
>>54934097
You entered there so we could convince you to play it, and you know it , slut.
>>
>>54927683
Does it involve moving miniatures or counters around tactically?

Then it's a wargame.
>>
File: Demonic Laughter.jpg (142KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Demonic Laughter.jpg
142KB, 1600x1200px
>>54934194
>tfw you can now play tiddlywinks and tell people you're wargaming
>>
>>54930975
Brigade's pretty on point photography wise. I just bought a bunch of their 6mm stuff as proxies for Epic, and the main reason I went with them as opposed to GZG was because I knew what all their shit looked like, often from multiple angles.
I was looking at Brigades 15mm stuff earlier in the year too, and remember that section being well populated with reasonable photos. The only thing Brigade get wrong sometimes is setting up thumbnails, but if you click on the product age you'll get photos. GZG seem better on the 15mm front photo wise, thinking of 15mm.
>>
>>54934300
What did you pick? Not really into epic tough it's probably the best GW game after LoTR.
>>
>>54934218
No, because what do tiddlywinks represent?
>>
>>54934334
The human desire for self destruction?
>>
>>54934310
I wanted Tau proxies, so I got Indonesian vehicles for Hammerheads, Devilfish etc, as they're grav vehicles, and there's stuff which obviously fits all of the roles which I needed filling. They also look a hell of a lot better mounted on really low flight stands than just lying on the floor.
PacFed Armoured Infantry for Fire Warriors and Pathfinders.
Generic Powered Armour for Stealth suits.
Indonesian Squadron Commander models for Barracudas and Tiger Sharks.

Ended up getting the GZG Hound Dogs as Crisis suits, and I have some Critical Mass Blockheads to use as Broadsides. Still needed to get Kroot and Gun Drones from Onslaught. I like the Onslaught stuff, but using Brigade stuff just works out so much cheaper.

I've only had two games of Minigeddon so far, but I am liking the game. I've never done land combat at anything aside from 28mm. But recently I've had a few games of Horizon Wars in 6mm, along with playing Epic, and it's interesting seeing the abstraction which happens at such a small scale.
>>
>>54927683
>>54927612
>>54934194

I'd say a dungeon crawler is a wargame, or even if it isn't to a pedant, it's close enough that discussion should be welcomed. What is the difference between a dungeon skirmish game, like Into the Breeding Pits for Frostgrave, and something like Descent or Heroquest? Even he more "board gamey" elements like grid movement and a random card deck are occasionally seen in wargames.

You still end up painting doods and making terrain.
>>
File: 9YCkV7F.jpg (887KB, 2591x1935px) Image search: [Google]
9YCkV7F.jpg
887KB, 2591x1935px
>>54934578
Plus board and chit hex wargames are wargames as well.
>>
>>54934637

Exactly, if anything they're the purest wargames, sacrificing basically all -a e s t h e t i c s- for mechanics.
>>
>>54904006
I found it too rules light. Just feels too floaty, I'd prefer some more structure to my games. sadly nobody writes good skirmish rules anymore.
>>
>>54928694
32 to 35mm
>>
>>54931344
>or the (less than) dramatic rise and fall of 9th Age
What, it's gone already? What happened to it?
>>
>>54934928

It seemed to be a real rallying point for the WHFB community for a few months, unfortunately it seems that before long the battered wives crawled back to GW, since a lot of them can't do anything hobby-wise without GW telling them to. Along with the usual bickering and senior contributors dropping out because they have ADHD.
>>
Would you fine gentleman happen to have a collection of model related magazines released this month?

I've noticed that's something this thread lacks, an archive of alternative miniature game magazines like wargames illustrated.
>>
>>54934928
As>>54935093 said, GW's fanboy crawled back to them like the broken, trailer-wife stockholm-syndrome suffering idiots they are.
>>
>>54935093
>>54935194
Bummer. Around here, most of them joined our preexisting KoW and occasional 6th Edition games and it's still going strong.

>>54935151
Does somebody even scan these? If not, that might be a nice project for /awg/ to get done.
>>
>>54935296
Don't they release digitally nowadays? Wargames Soldiers and Strategy at least does.
>>
>>54935093
9th age are super easy to trigger if you just use 9th's age code of conduct. It literally says any one who offends someone else isn't welcome. This is an official public statement, so you larp as pissing off Hindus by eating a beef sandwich, feminists by being a straight man or muslims by eating pork. You can get a lot of (you)s and really trigger people.

I get the feeling 9th age's userbase is mostly special snowflakes. Their desire to play a regimented game is second to their desire to play something no one else does. KoW filled the fantasy niche already and took the gamers away

>>54935296
Turns out pirate bay does. Once a month someone uploads a torrent of 75 latest modeling magazines in pdf. It doesn't have wargames illustrated though which annoys me

>>54935326
Most magazines do a pdf digital version now.
>>
>>54935357
I knew the 9th Age community was bad, but I didn't realize it was that far gone. Oh well, I never understood the appeal of it, or why someone would play it instead of going back to 6th/7th with houserules.
>>
>>54935421
I'm curious as to why you don't see people playing older editions of games very often, even when the current edition is shit. If you play with a small group of people it should be easy enough.
Or is that why? The people who do stick with old editions just play around each others houses, rather than at clubs?
>>
>>54935633
Yeah, community is definitely a big part of it. Having a game be "live" and supported by a company generates a certain amount of excitement. You can almost always count on being able to find local games for things like Xwing, 40k, or Warmahordes. More esoteric stuff, you're usually doing a lot of community building.

In some ways, it can actually help if a game is officially "dead", rather than just "old edition". For instance, Epic is probably more popular now than it ever was while it was still being produced. It's just a perception thing, but it has an effect.
>>
>>54935421
Some of it's staff are SJWs. It's official statements stick to high heavens.

>>54935633
Can't replace people as they drop out if you play an old edition so you're on a limited life span. Something like Epic or (formerly) blood bowl was fine because it was a novelty game to play at conventions. Now GW pump and dump all their own stuff where no real communities can form because by the time one is out and comfortable the next hot thing is rolling around.

I've been seriously considering picking up Bloodbowl as a convention game. But hasn't GW basically shoved it off for new 40k and soon necromunda?
>>
>>54935793
>I've been seriously considering picking up Bloodbowl as a convention game. But hasn't GW basically shoved it off for new 40k and soon necromunda?

That's what it looks like, but I think FW has quietly been supporting it to some degree. Though aren't the unofficial rules still quite popular?

>>54935633
At least for clubs, it can be rough deciding on which old edition to play. Everyone has their favorite edition and compromise can be tough to reach with old wargamers.
>>
>>54935633

The big one I can think of is Oldhammer, where generally it's accepted that the community is based around 3rd ed in Fantasy, and Rogue Trader for 40k, if you wanted a pickup game at an Oldhammer weekend.

Like >>54935719 says it's about community, and when there aren't new releases people tend to drift off and the remainder fracture off into splinters. Even in Epic there's a NetEpic for 1st/2nd editions and a NetEA and EpicUK amongst others who make lists for 4th edition, Armageddon.

>>54935793

>I've been seriously considering picking up Bloodbowl as a convention game. But hasn't GW basically shoved it off

Wrong mentality to have, BB has had a great tournament scene for years, even long after GW abandoned it first time. Definitely their most successful "Specialist Game" by miles.
>>
>>54935825
Oldhammer is an interesting community. It's a response to how generic and corporate GW has become. Sadly it also back fires a little because now older models have doubled in price. I just can't justify picking them up as a novelty. I have some older stuff from 2nd edition but the really cool stuff is £15 a modelish now.

I'm aware of it but I only picked up BB through the vidya. I don't have any connection to the board game community at all.
>>
>>54935867

With the old lead it's always a waiting game. I skim ebay for single metals and the like sometimes. The Oldhammer Trading Company FB page is a good start though, decent prices generally.
>>
>>54935887
Should probably get into the UK one.
>>
>>54935867
There's a decent number of companies making Oldhammer style models (or indeed still selling old ranges, for instance Black Tree still sell old Harlequin stuff iirc).

Might not be 'pure' oldhammer but in my experience most oldhammer guys don't really care. It's more about the ethos and aesthetic of late-80s/early-90s wargaming than the specifics.
>>
>>54935939
>Black Tree still sell old Harlequin stuff

I should've clarified that is stuff from the manufacturer called harlequin, not elvish space clowns.
>>
>>54935939
A lot of the old sculptures seem to be digging up rejected models and putting them on kickstarter production runs.
>>
File: Untitled.png (836KB, 733x652px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
836KB, 733x652px
>>54935974
Either old sculpts that never got put into production or new sculpts based on old concept art like pic related.
>>
>>54935887

£2.50 for 5. How times have changed.
>>
File: scan0013.jpg (758KB, 1107x1600px) Image search: [Google]
scan0013.jpg
758KB, 1107x1600px
>>54936041

Indeed, even with inflation it's all a bit daft now.

I miss even as late as 3rd ed 40k, where they'd just sculpt and release dozens of Champions or Marine Captains or whatever. Now it's so homogeneous.
>>
>>54936151
Mang I really wish GW would do a reprint of the Realm of Chaos books like they did with Rogue Trader.

I know they sort of did with Index Apocrypha but it's not quite the same, y'know.
>>
>>54936151
You can thank Space marines and the fanbase for that. They want to "convert" everything, which simply means part swapping. These days it's unheard of to cut metal models up and make something cool.

Maybe /awg/ should do a oldhammer type group build. Find a cool mini in the old style and paint it up nicely
>>
File: IMG_1882.jpg (355KB, 1600x1086px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1882.jpg
355KB, 1600x1086px
>>54936184

I just remembered how much I miss the Mail Order catalogue for ordering random parts. I remember when they got rid of metal bits and selling them to staff members by weight.
>>
>>54936292
The bits service was so good. I miss the old GW website as well, y'know the one that had actual articles and content and wasn't just a web store?
>>
>>54936398

Yep, spent hours on there, and the Fanatic website and stuff.

I've been looking for a Citadel Journal archive to no avail. Only had a couple of them myself but that was a cracking magazine.
>>
>>54936582
Old WD was fantastic for conversions. I just browsed through the new Chaos Codex and it's utterly lifeless. The models shown are just stock models and lack the Chaosness of Chaos. They brought back some of the old art work but it's just not the same.

I think newer model companies have too much freedom in what they can do. It means you have shit like the new Deathguard where every surface is covered with detail. It becomes too much detail and just a blob. Even that Malal demon above suffers from it. Notice how every single surface is textured? That wasn't possible in the 80s, you would end up with areas not fully casting if you overloaded it like that. Now it's bog standard

Also Fuck you Black Tree anon. I was browsing their range and found an awesome Ent and Goblin wolf rider. Picked both up for a diorama "in the future". My back logs big enough jerkwad. I might try and turn it into a magazine article for figure painter or something when I build it at least. See if we can bring old hammer dioramas into being a genre.
>>
>>54936767
>Fuck you Black Tree anon

Sorry buddy, will a mediafire of old WDs make it up to you?

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/tx4hcy4u487pv/WD
>>
>>54936796
Maybe..

I wouldn't mind sorting through all the old WDs and cutting out all the fluff just to have a pdf full of old models and conversion guides. I know a lot of people like the fluff but I think a "big tomb of miniatures" would be nostalgic as all hell
>>
>>54936796

>some are UK numbers, others US when they drifted apart for a bit, then got pulled back to Nottingham

In the grand scheme of the universe it's nothing, but it hurts my autism.
>>
>>54936980
Actually I think most of the issues in that archive are Australian
>>
>>54937010
If they're Austrian why isn't everything upside down huh faggot?

Any one know a way to rip pages from pdfs? I will happily go through all these white dwarves and just compile a tomb of oldhammer minis and modeling guides. Fuck all the fluff and the adverts.
>>
Does anyone know what this book is? Is it a supplement for Battlesystem 2E or a standalone game or what?
>>
>>54937112
There's a couple of pdf splitters available. Some are web-based, I personally use an offline one called 'pdf split and merge basic'.

Alternatively you could literally just print screen the pages you want, but that's more of a pain.
>>
File: roguetrader_cover.jpg (196KB, 550x761px) Image search: [Google]
roguetrader_cover.jpg
196KB, 550x761px
>>54936796

Thanks for the link mate, these will keep my occupied on my long bus trip tomorrow.

Dog bless JDownloader, just ripped through 100-199 and 200-299, best era imho.
>>
>>54937250

Noice. The Fat Bloke era was the best.
>>
>>54936292
>Somehow, nearly every single one of these is better proportined than most marines released between 1998 and 2017
What the fuck
>>
>>54938510
I think they're Jes Goodwin sculpts, and that man knows his shit.
>>
>>54938462
Agreed.

Doesn't he run Warlord now?
>>
>>54938580
I think he heads their product design division or something.
>>
>>54938545
I'm not even a fan of the really old-oldhammer, but I'd use these with a headswap in a heartbeat for my rogue stars stuff.
>>
Favorite die for wargaming? Thinking of making a wargame that leans more toward RPG style gameplay with HP and AC, etc. but not sure what die to use
>>
>>54940120
Practically speaking, d6 because I've got loads of them.

Ergonomically speaking, I find d12 the most tactile and satisfying to roll (compared to say d4s which are rubbish)
>>
>>54940201
I'm talking about gameplay-wise, not how the die feels in your hand
>>
>>54940223
Then refer to

>Practically speaking, d6 because I've got loads of them.
>>
>>54940261
What about D6s is it that makes them your favorite?
>>
>>54940277
Like I said, pretty much just availability. In terms of gameplay I have no real preference because you can create as many different statistical distributions as you like by changing dice type and number and none of those distributions is objectively better than the others.

Sometimes it makes sense for a mechanic to use a bell curve, sometimes a flat probability.
>>
>>54940120
For an RPG-y thing, so you'll have relatively few models?

For simplicity, I prefer a single die; is easy to work with. Probably d10/d12/d20, as they provide decent easy granularity without being insane (eg 1d100)

d6 has shit for granularity to work with here, so unless you use like 2d6 or 3d6 or something things will be samey.
d8 is a similar problem, but it's a bit better.
d10+ is where you start getting meaningful decent differences able to come into play because there are more numbers to work with.

What I mean there is a d6 and d8 will either start becoming rapidly irrelevant if you use a die+mod system (as the mods start outweighing the die - this *can* be useful if it's what you want). If you use something like WHFB/40k, you're working with a very small range - are you a 4+ or a 3+? Large change in skill; big mods.

If you want more complicated systems you can use (small) dice pools, like an actual RPG might. This can be used to great effect if you want to count successes to make your combat more interesting - such as if you roll 4 successes on your attack, you can use 2 of them to disarm the target, and then 2 to damage them. Or whatever you want. Two sources of inspiration for that could be Coriolis (RPG) and Infinity the RPG.

Like the other guy said though, there's a TON you can do with dice and there's no objective answer, so, meh.
Also, you get far enough into RPG land you're just making a party vs party RPG...which is cool, but how far do you want?
>>
WD archive bro here.

Thinking of just archiving gallery pages and articles on converting/interesting painting things. It'll piss out on battle report images but they rarely used unique models, they were just studio stuff.
>>
Alright /awg/ I need some advice. I've been working on my own game for quite some time, play testing for a while and have a pretty big name doing my models for me. Eventually we'll be on kickstarter, but that's a topic for another day.

What I need advice on is moulding. If my research has done me any good I'm looking to use an injection molding process. Does anyone have any experience with this? Is there a reputable place to look at? I'm On mobile and I know the message is a bit choppy but I'll explain more if asked.
>>
>>54940452
Sure. There's always something to be said for a simple 2d6 or 3d6 system, too, of course... the bell curve is sometimes desirable enough to justify the extra math.
>>
>>54941971
>I'm looking to use an injection molding process.
So plastic models? Good luck, I hope the KS works out for you then.
>Does anyone have any experience with this? Is
there a reputable place to look at?
No firsthand experience, but the first name that comes to mind would obviously be Renedra. They do the molds for Perry and Warlord I think. I also seem to remember that they have a long waiting list though.

I noticed that a lot of casters and other miniatures related businesses that don't actually sell the models do have ads in wargames illustrated though.

Do you have an elevator pitch for your game?
Or can you at least tell us what genre and scale you are going for?
>>
>>54941971
As someone potentially looking to start their own line, this also interests me. I'm also interested in hearing why you decided to go with injection moulding over other options.
>>
>>54941971
As in: Plastic Injection Molding? Because I doubt you have the money for this unless you are a rich fuck doing this for the lulz.
>>
>>54942275
Yeah plastic. Personally I like the weight and feel of metal but it's generally seen as more trouble than it's worth to work with. Many the people I've spoken with vastly prefer plastic with a small number for metal. Once every single cost is figured out we'll make our decision but that's how it stands currently.

I'll check those guys out when I get back home from work. Thanks.

We'll be selling out models direct to consumer, at least for the first while. We're not even close to putting in ads but I'll keep this suggestion in my note pad.

The lore has been changing quite a bit over the last two months to get it to feel right, but the game is a 32mm scale war game akin to 40k/warmachine. We've got 4 pretty unique factions. Two militarized factions, one focused on energy barriers and electric based attacks and the other more raw and chunky with psuedo- power armor and a more traditional bake plan. Techno mages which channel their magic through devices to mimic that of what a fantasy mage would do plus enhance their physical ability. Lastly a faction of parasites, specializing in swarm tactics and converting fallen enemies to fight for them.

I won't go too much into mechanics but we've designed the game to require as little referral to the rulebook as possible. We find that it really breaks the flow of gameplay. We have a specific design philosophy that let's us achieve this. Hopefully that's the answer you were looking for?

>>54942342
We're you looking into another option that works better? I can always learn more here since this is my weakest area.

>>54942773
You're probably right, but all of our costs haven't been finalized. If we feel the costs will outweigh kickstarter standards we'll change that.
>>
Again, on the road, enjoy the hilarious auto corrects
>>
>>54940223
I still feel that the d10 is an abomination among the common dice, with its non-platonic bullshit.
>>
>>54942907
I know resin casting is cost effective for start ups, since metal cost is going up. I'm also looking at smaller numbers, where injection wouldn't be as cost effective.
>>
>>54935939
>>54935974
>>54935953
Off the top of my head:
• Wargames foundry has a bunch of old Citadel fantasy and D&D minis, including the Perry Twins' Empire range (under Historicals) and some 2000AD stuff. Most of it's listed as Citadel minis.

• Bob Olley has been working for Reaper for >ages<. Among other things, he's got a Lord of Change, Joseph Bugman, and some old-school Dwarf cannons. A lot of his work is in the Undead and Dwarf ranges.
He also has his own minis company, but that's been offline since last Christmas and shows no signs of coming back any time soon.
check olleysarmies on Facebook

Mirliton carries a bunch of old Citadel molds, and Grenadier versions of a bunch of the Oldhammer sculptors' work; Ral Partha/Iron Wind Metals also have a pretty damned large selection.

Everybody knows about hte Perrys, of course.

And thanks for the tip on Black Tree Minis.
Is any of this in the pastebin?
>>
>>54940120
>Favorite die for wargaming? Thinking of making a wargame that leans more toward RPG style gameplay with HP and AC, etc. but not sure what die to use
Twenties and twelves, mostly because they're cheap and D&D has made D20s mroe accessible.
>>
File: $_57.jpg (53KB, 650x433px) Image search: [Google]
$_57.jpg
53KB, 650x433px
How would you guys feel about a fantasy system that uses different dice for different types of weapons? Sort of like a halfway between a traditional TRPG and a wargame.
>>
>>54945188
how does the added complexity help?
>>
>>54945188
>>54945208
Doesn't Tomorrows War use different dice values to represent the skill of troopers? There's always the same target number for any dice roll, but of course the bigger your die, the higher the percentage of exceeding the target number.
I can see it working,.
>>
>>54945208
More customizable and varied I think. Still in its early stages. The game has buyable weaponry like a TRPG, so units aren't just stat profiles and can be customized. In order to make a weapon better than another without slowing things down with tons of modifiers, I figured using different dice might be the way to go.
>>54945273
Never heard of that game, I'll give it a look sometime.
>>
>>54924761
Otherworld matches a lot of the old Citadel stuff pretty well.
>>
Why don't we put together a Oldhammer minis document? Collect all the ranges we can find who fit the style of early 90's citadel?
>>
>>54942907

You should really know how the miniature will be cast before you start sculpting, different mediums will effect the sort of poses and undercuts you can achieve. Hopefully your sculpter will have discussed this with you.
Good luck anon your entering a very tough market, hope you haven't put to much of your own money into this.
>>
>>54945598
Follow the KISS rule: Keep It Simple, Stupid.
Adding a bunch of dice is going to complicate things far more than a few modifiers will.
Choose to work out of a D20 or D10 system. D6 would of course also work, but would require the most modifiers.
>>
>>54945989
I feel like it would be easier to remember which weapon uses which die than remembering each individual modifier, though. Plus with AC and everything, once you start slapping on a bunch of modifiers, AC becomes pretty useless, don't you think? Better to use a D20 than D10+2+2+3+...
>>
>>54946037
Fine, use a D20. But it's not better when you have to remember if this weapon uses the D10, the D8 or the D20.
You're always going to need modifiers. Always if you want some semblance of realism. That's just the unfortunate nature of tabletop gaming.
But to add modifiers PLUS different dice for different weapons, you're asking for trouble. That's just unnecessary over-complication.
Unless you want to do a D&D skirmish game and use the existing charts and weapon damages(plus all their modifiers) then choose one type of die to use and stick with it.
>>
>>54946079
How would you stat up something like a knife vs a zweihander then? I'm all for redoing the weapons system if it'll make it more streamlined as long as it isn't dumbed down.
>>
>>54945808
Our sculptor has done this before, we're on the same page.

I haven't sunk much into it yet, but will soon. I plan on taking this through all the way and I have confidence it will work.

I'll touch bases with you guys here every now and again and share what we've got when I know it's final.
>>
>>54945723
go ahead mate. lots of good ones in the thread, might take you 5 mins
>>
>>54946322
I don't fancy going through every single website to document the ranges right now. I mean a document like

>Wood elves
X
Y
Z

Not just that companies do those style of models in general
>>
>>54946460
do it dude. if you think of something cool that you think would help not only yourself, but the community as a whole, and you have the spare time to do it, why not? you could even throw your name on it and make it a pdf
i'd contribute but i already posted the ones i know
>>
>>54946487
Because it's several hours of sorting through webstores? I also don't know a lot about Oldhammer and I'm trying to do the Oldhammer white dwarf thing at the same timel
>>
>>54946641
i'm sure you can figure it out
>>
What is in the Dark Age Skarrd Starter box? It looks like a Tribal Father, a Warhead, 3 harpies, and maybe 3 buzzblades? Not quite sure what the lower three on the right count as.
>>
>>54946487
>>54946641
I'm just gonna add a category to the google doc, you big sillies.
>>
>>54904472
I've painted shit tons of Flames of War yet have never even seen the game played in person, does that count?
>>
>>54947635
They're Buzzblades.
>>
>>54947880
Thanks. I wish that they would put what comes in each box in the product descriptions. It would help a lot with all the repacks they are introducing.
>>
>>54948060
Yeah. They had a news post about the new boxes and what was in them, but it was a month ago.
>>
>>54946460
>>54946322
>>54947669
Okay, added the stuff mentioned in this thread, with a description of the Oldhammer-specific ranges they have available, after the "add a scale" line. Anyone else have a(ny) suggestion(s)?
>>
>>54948387
Would love to see more added to the list. Hopefully some where they're not charging £4 a goblin
>>
>>54948685
Well, Black Tree is charging $5 for three Night Goblins and $3 for Wolf Riders right now. Some of the stuff is even cheaper. Regiments run about $2.50 per when they're not on sale, which is damned good for pewter in this day and age.
>>
>>54929333
>Toxic is definitely just the lack of cult models to take advantage of their rules.
Yeah, but at least Kaustic allows buzzblades in his group to gain toxic on their clubs, which helps spread the love a little.

Also, most of their spell abilities seem to be about spreading around the toxic counters, as well. I'd certainly like to see some new stuff, but I think they at least have enough ways to put out toxic counters as it stands, for the time being.
>>
>>54931713
25mm is a size, not a scale.
>>
>>54935093
Or maybe because 9th Age is not that good. Maybe.
>>
>>54901959
Sauce on the models from OPs pic? Are they from the same company, or are they from all over?
>>
>>54951145
I think they're mostly kitbashed from Perry/Frostgrave plastics, but not certain. I'll see if I can google up the link of the creator explaining it.
>>
>>54951145
They're kit bashes of Perry, gripping beast fireforge and frostgrave.
>>
>>54951145
>>54951179
http://www.lead-adventure.de/index.php?topic=62778.0

Here's what I could find without a lead adventure account, hope it helps.
>>
>>54950056
Black Tree/EOE almost always have a 40% sale on fantasy, and their regiment packs are the way to go.
>>
File: 26000_front_600pix.jpg (30KB, 498x600px) Image search: [Google]
26000_front_600pix.jpg
30KB, 498x600px
>>54944885
Also Alternative Armies have been around for donkey's years and although they stopped selling many of their old ranges they've been slowly reintroducing them.
>>
File: 9000hours.png (11KB, 684x284px) Image search: [Google]
9000hours.png
11KB, 684x284px
>>54946460
I've got some free time today, I might take this up.

Since most companies make multiple ranges I'd probably do it as a sort of table, pic related being a very crude mockup.
>>
>>54952525
I need to paint some chocolate elves.
>>
>>54952544
Pistachio Elves are the choice of a true patrician, shame Lead Poisoning Miniatures discontinued their range.
>>
>>54952582
Nigga, I'm from the south, I need to tiny slaves to have dark skin. Is a shame about LPM though.
>>
>>54950056
I've ordered from them for a diorama. Ent fighting a Goblin champion. Not like I didn't need more shit added to my backlog right? Guess it gives me an excuse to pickup some miniature paints, I've heard their wood effect is incredibly good.

>>54950617
This is where Skirmish games start to stumble. Early faction identity is pretty basic, but then they expand out and all factions look pretty much the same with a gimmick. Every faction can do almost exactly the same thing it's just the name or a couple of dice rolls that change. Shooty army shoots, but melee army has a shooty unit and a commander to buff it.

>>54952601
NO SWIRLING! Fucking race traitors, can't you live for several thousand years without dumpster diving for pussy?
>>
>>54952525
Here's what I came up with based on stuff in the thread, stuff linked on Oldhammer sites/blogs and stuff I just remembered.

Couldn't be bothered to fuck with Google Drive so it's a pdf.
>>
File: 1371796711793.jpg (71KB, 395x450px) Image search: [Google]
1371796711793.jpg
71KB, 395x450px
>>54953057
Thanks for that.
>>
>>54952404
Alt armies is really fucking ugly. They're like hasslefree meets the 80s worst GW designs. It's like a world where abortion is the only form of giving birth and they haven't invented a good coat hanger yet.
>>
>>54950971
Should've used 6th from the start
>>
>>54936796
I fucking love you, anon.
>>
>>54953517
You just say that to get me into bed.
>>
When playing a wargame, would you guys rather have different dice for different weapons, ie. a d6 for a knife and a d12 for a longsword, or the same dice for different weapons but more dice for stronger ones, ie. 2d10 for a knife and 4d10 for a longsword? Assuming the damage ends up relatively the same.
pic unrelated
>>
>>54954422
Depends on the entirety of the system and on the dice type. Having to buy a bucket of D10 just for a wargame that you can't use for anything sensible otherwise is cancer. No, anything by White Wolf is terrible. A granaular skirmish system could work, because pretty much everyone owns one set of all dice anyway because nearly everyone played D&D or Savage Worlds once at some point. The more important question is: Would a skirmish wargame even benifit from being more granular and in which way would it be better than classic D&D (which is practically a wargame anyway)?
>>
>>54954631
I've never actually played a roleplaying game before. I just want to build a very customizable skirmish game a la Mordheim but more streamlined and with a much shorter rulebook. I would try out OD&D or AD&D as a wargame but I feel like it would be very bogged down by the sheer amount of rules in the book, no? Maybe not, I don't know. I guess you could just cut stuff out. Are there any battle reports or anything for that? I haven't really seen any, and I'm pretty sure I've looked.
>>
>>54954701
The early D&D editions barely have any rules and 2/3 of them are spells.
>>
>>54954701
>I just want to build a very customizable skirmish game a la Mordheim but more streamlined and with a much shorter rulebook
Seems like thats what this anon is working on as well
>>54919404
>>
>>54955466
At first glance, that seems a lot different than what I'm working on. That seems more like a streamlined "clone" (not sure if that's the right word to use) of Mordheim I think (which is great because I've wanted to try Mordheim for a while now but it seems to have aged relatively poorly).
The game I'm working on is intended to be original for the most part. The only reason I mentioned Mordheim is because it provides a frame of reference for the level of customization I'm attempting when it comes to individual characters. I even have a "Hero" system for making your own that level up over time.
>>
>>54954422
Most people like standard old D6s. If you use fancy dice then expect autism.
>>
People who make PDFS are fucking faggots.

>Sorting through PDFs to make an oldhammer God tomb
>using puush to grab pages.
>click
>ctrl+c
>ctrl+a
>download images from puush to my HD
>Some faggots decide to make their pdfs multiple images or the text split from images
>can't use my method to grab those

Thanks faggots. I need to find a mew method for securing these images now.
>>
>>54956922
poor baby
>>
File: DSCF5331.jpg (3MB, 4000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
DSCF5331.jpg
3MB, 4000x3000px
Wew, 3 hours of cleaning.
>>
>>54957431
> Fire, Mortis and Death but no Fear

IT'S THE CUBES FOR YOU, CREEP.

also I miss the threads where that one guy would dump entire 2000AD comics on /tg/
>>
>>54957508
No worries anon, I'l get him as well. This was the first lot I purchased, more will follow.
Thread posts: 322
Thread images: 49

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.