[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: /tg/ required watching

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 323
Thread images: 40

File: banner_07.jpg (64KB, 620x368px) Image search: [Google]
banner_07.jpg
64KB, 620x368px
let me start the list
>princess bride
obvious

>lotr trilogy

>princess mononoke

>lupin III and the castle of cagliostro
>>
>>54887915
Firefly?
>>
File: Captain Alatriste.jpg (393KB, 1899x1029px) Image search: [Google]
Captain Alatriste.jpg
393KB, 1899x1029px
Is captain Alatriste /tg/ approved?
>>
I don't watch anime, is there an alternate list?
>>
File: When you form voltron just right.jpg (83KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
When you form voltron just right.jpg
83KB, 1200x1200px
>>54887915
>Lupin III and the Castle of Cagliostro

Mah brutha of chocolate complexion
>>
>>54887915
Hard Candy
>>
>>54887915
>Wanting people to meme around at the game table
The best players are the ones who haven't seen a film in their lives.
Books, on the other hand:
>Frank Herbert's Dune
>LotR trilogy
>Discworld novels. All of them
>The Bible
>1984
>>
>>54887915
>>54888316
>lupin III and the castle of cagliostro
Only one on OP's list I haven't seen; worth it? Bear in mind, I like Lupin the III, I just never went out of my way to watch the movies.

How /tg/ related is it?
>>
>>54888365
>not trusting your players

come on, anon

and in any case, movies can inform your roleplaying in good ways

Inigo Montoya is probably the most /tg/ character of all time

simple gimmick that's easy to work into the story
>overly polite spanish swordsman

quick backstory that gives a goal
>a six fingered man killed my father with this sword, I'm going to kill him

goal is simple for the DM to work with
>six fingered man is the dragon to the bbeg
>>
>>54887915
>>54888365
If you pardon me being the requisite "the book is better" guy for a second--the book of The Princes Bride. It's got both more kernals of classic adventure novel fair, and more cheeky subversions of it. Not unlike Discworld's treatment of fantasy cliches.
>>
>>54888279
Watch Mononoke anyway (also Nausicaa). Confirmed good by my friend with a very low tolerance for anime.
>>
>>54888741

Hmm. I could barely tolerate Cowboy Bebop back in the day, I just don't like anime or jap culture. Was hoping people had some advice for my /tg/ kino without weaboo nonsense
>>
>>54888655
>"the book is better"
is applicable for everything in >>54888365 except maybe the Dicsworld movies
>>
>Conan the barbarian
>Legend
>Dark Crystal
>Ice & Fire
>Krull
>Star Wars (4-6)

and for less fantasy based stuff

>The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
>Guardians of the Galaxy
>Jaws
>Star Wars (1-3)
>>
>>54888279
Which one are you talking about?

Also saw two of these (I just can bring myself to watch lotr)
>>
Record of Lodoss War for how you should play D&D
Slayers for how you actually play D&D

Stranger Things not because D&D meme, but the setting.
>>
>>54888774
>weeaboo nonsense
>jap culture

Mononoke is classic fantasy in medieval japan, if you don't like it cus "muh weeb shit", then you're just being autistic at that point

Lupin is literally an action/spy movie about a french dude saving a girl trapped in a castle, there's nothing weeb about it, other than the random dude with a katana (but he's badass anyway)
>>
>>54888775
>except maybe the Discworld movies
but the books are clearly better there, their main strength is TP's narration
>>
File: 1472329729842.jpg (29KB, 320x283px) Image search: [Google]
1472329729842.jpg
29KB, 320x283px
>Muppet Treasure Island
>Treasure Planet

I maintain that these are the two best adaptations of the book, which incidentally is my favorite book and should be on /tg/'s required reading list.

FUCK the BBC miniseries. It was awful.
>>
>>54888900
its been ages since i watched treasure planet loved that movie as a kid
>>
>>54888279
>i dont watch anime
threadly reminder that anime is a medium, not a genre.
>>
>>54889050
your a good person
>>
>>54888279
Anything by Studio Ghibli is on a completely different level compared to what you usually think of when you think of anime. It's actually good. The animation, the writing, the music, it's all actually really good. You will likely never see animation done better than what Ghibli does unless you really look for some obscure stuff. I say this as a person who usually hates anime and is a tremendous Westaboo when it comes to animation.
>>
>>54888900
Holy shit, I gotta rewatch Muppet Treasure Island. I watched that shit like 12 times as a kid, 10/10 adaption. Similarly, Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl is a stupidly good pirate movie. Almost underrated, actually.
>>
File: What_the_hell.png (218KB, 341x488px) Image search: [Google]
What_the_hell.png
218KB, 341x488px
>>54889116
Wrong on all accounts. Watch some real anime movies first.
>>
>>54887915
https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Approved_movies

https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Approved_Television

We just had a thread about this and an anon updated the above links accordingly.

https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Approved_anime

https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Video_games

>>54888266
Yes.
>>
>>54888875
>If you say anything about animu, I will not hesitate to kill you..
>>
>>54888774
dude ur on 4chan. if you dont like anime something r/DnD might be more your speed
>>
>>54888266
much that would be /his/ approved would be /tg/ approved

>>54887915
Event Horizion
>>
>>54889221
I'm not even a huge fan of anime, and I think that a large portion of the tropes and cliches that run rampant in the medium are poison to good media.

All I said was that refusing to watch Princess Mononoke, which is practically universally considered a good movie even to western audiences, just because
>muh animu

is grade-A autism
>>
>>54888900
Tim Curry was absolutely Golden in that.
Professional Pirate in particular is a great Villainous song.
>>
File: 1489838738789.gif (84KB, 430x319px) Image search: [Google]
1489838738789.gif
84KB, 430x319px
>tfw You've already seen it all and nothing else can come close to making you happy as you were when you first watched them
>>
>>54889429
>Last Unicorn

fuck, how did I not add that to the list?
>>
>>54887915
>princess mononoke, lupin III and the castle of cagliostro
boring trash
>>
File: Maldis.jpg (62KB, 484x540px) Image search: [Google]
Maldis.jpg
62KB, 484x540px
>>54887915
>No farscape
Scorpius, get the chair.
>>
>>54889050
not him, but I avoid anime, just like I avoid radio.
>>
>>54889116
>It's actually good for anime
ftfy
compared to regular film it's 5/10
Anime in general is just a medium that is suffocating on feces, so anything with a modicum of talent behind it looks much better in comparison.
>>
File: ritsu amusement.jpg (55KB, 535x535px) Image search: [Google]
ritsu amusement.jpg
55KB, 535x535px
>>54889799
You refuse to get into automotive vehicles of any kind then?

>>54887915
>The Adventures of Baron Munchausen
>Jason and the Argonauts
>The Seventh Voyage of Sinbad
>Highlander
>Big Trouble in Little China
>>
File: brotherhood of the wolf.jpg (22KB, 238x350px) Image search: [Google]
brotherhood of the wolf.jpg
22KB, 238x350px
Brotherhood of the Wolf. Is it an action film? A romance? A period drama? I don't know, but it is really good.

Stardust is one of my guilty pleasure films and very /tg/.
>>
>>54890472
I'm pretty sure Stardust is perfectly acceptable viewing.
Mark Strong is God Tier in that one
>>
>>54889782
Speaking of Farscape, Lexx is also pretty great
>>
>ctrl+f "ghost in the shell"
>0 results

If you want some of the quintessential cyberpunk media, this along with blade runner are some of the best.
(also it ought to be an exception to the "I don't watch anime" people because of how high quality it is)
>>
>>54890973
Its pretty something, fun.
>>
>>54888266

Movie is historically /tg/ as fuck but I didn't like it. Can inspire dozens of campaigns tough.
Viggo has been very unlucky with his roles after LOTR - he's good, the movies are mostly forgettable.

>>54891190

Not cyberpunk and I would recommend only the manga or SAC (but i would recommend it very much). Oshii is kinda of an hack, he's not the guy that put out Beautiful Dreamer.

>>54889802

Roger Erbert put Spirited Away in his 100 best movie ever list. Not saying you have to love it, but all this it's kinda autistic.
>and he was wrong, Kiki is better
>well, he also liked Grave of the Fireflies which is one the few movies that genuinely make me angry

>>54890115

Based Ritsuposter is based.

I'd add Master & Commander (tough honestly this time the books are uncomparable), Beauty and the Beast (the Cocteau one, comparable in scope to The Last Unicorn), Apocalypse Now (it's a modern Odyssey and has multiple characters), Lady Snowblood (Japan is all about moe, right? Not sure what other vengeance movies are this visceral, tough you gotta take the special effects like something from a very different age), Aleksander Nevtsky (this is how you villain, my dear friends).

Was thinking of a meta one, Aguirre Wrath of God, the ending is VERY /tg/ in its own way.
>>
>>54891470
You are retarded if you dont't think the Oshii movie isn't anime kino. Also Grave of the Fireflies is fucking great, even if Spirited Away is overhyped trash. If anyone is a hack, its Miyazaki, not Oshii.
>>
>>54891633
Miyazaki isn't bad for making retarded movies that look amazing. Also has some great other things which should not be enumerated in the name of peace.

Oshii went out the other end for GitS2.
>>
>>54891633

What? It certainly is. I just don't like it (not hate it either, simply it's a lot of pseudophilosifical bullshit with some cool scenes - basically what he goes on doing to this day. Sky Crawlers of all things make me chuckle at an Anno comment: "well, I liked the dog")

Grave of the fireflies is technically good if a little more unispired that you would think, but it's unethical. You don't manipulate children with false analogies.
>>
>>54891470
>Roger Erbert put Spirited Away in his 100 best movie ever list
So? Roger Ebert is wrong as often as he is right.

>Not saying you have to love it, but all this it's kinda autistic
Why? I really don't see the appeal. The structure of the story is just very generic and the characters are lackluster.
Compare it to Cowboy Bebop, that's a good anime. Chihiro and Mononoke just feel like emotional pleb bait. It's the Disney of anime, high technical quality, acceptable but bland plots and lack of depth.
Grave of the Fireflies is literally just >muh feels
and anyone who likes it should be embarrassed.
>>
>>54888279
How about go fuck yourself and find your own list you fucking idiot?
>>
>>54891718

>Why? I really don't see the appeal. The structure of the story is just very generic and the characters are lackluster.

I don't wanna susbstain your autism, anon. Go on on your reddit.
>>
>No Labyrinth
>>
>>54891746
>I don't have any arguments: the post
thanks for the input, retard. Interestingly enough, you're the one using reddit spacing. Maybe you should fuck off.
>>
>>54888834
>and for less fantasy based stuff
>Star Wars
>Fantasy
Star Wars is Science-Fiction.
>>
>>54891470
>Roger Erbert put Spirited Away in his 100 best movie ever list. Not saying you have to love it, but all this it's kinda autistic.
He also has The Great Dictator, Jaws and Schindlers List on there.
Ebert is literally plebbit tier.
>>
>>54888342
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>54891696
>don't manipulate children with false ideologies
No ideology is "false" by definition you fucking trog. Where did your dad touch you?
>>
>>54888774
>I just don't like anime or jap culture

I'm sorry you have shit taste. Would you prefer rap music and moral degeneracy?
>>
>>54891718
>i have never watched spirited away or mononoke but i will shit on them like i have watched them
you should be ashamed of yourself. i do agree that ghibli is the disney of anime but mononoke at the very least is a good film, even by miyazaki standards.
>anyone who likes grave of the fireflies should be ashamed
how does it feel to be so autistic you become a cum guzzler?
>>
>>54892203
>Anime
>not degeneracy
>>
>>54892126
>Star Wars is Science-Fiction.
Not sure if bait or ignorant of long standing arguments about genre in fiction.

Anyway Star Wars is science fantasy because it's a setting that is primarily about two ethically opposed orders of space wizards manipulating those around them into a war. The Force is magic, ergo fantasy.
>>
>>54892244
>but mononoke at the very least is a good film
Why? Elaborate without resorting to appeals to authority.

>how does it feel to be so autistic you become a cum guzzler?
If you're impressed by cheap emotional bait you should just go back to watching children's movies.
>>
>>54888365
>discworld
neck yourself
>>
>>54892202

Oh, it is, when facts are conflated with fantasies.

>>54892133

They're all great movies. Only subhumans connect low number of seers to quality, or viceversa.

>empire of the sun is better than Schindler's tough
>>
>>54888342
How is pedophilia, EllenPage and cutting genitals(though players tend to be Guantanamo tier with their handling of torture on prisonner) have to do with ttrpg
>>
Krull
Dragonslayer
The Dark Crystal
Conan the Barbarian
The Neverending Story
>>
>>54892312
Use of animation, character development az the mc descends into the curse of the demon, worldbuidling, an interesting combination of western themes and japanese folklore, and the first use of environmentalism and the value of nature/life in a miyazaki work before it became overplayed
>>
File: koh.png (2MB, 1920x818px) Image search: [Google]
koh.png
2MB, 1920x818px
Kingdom of Heaven and War of the Arrows
>>
>>54892330
Please state specific examples as to how and why.
>>
>>54892312
>>54892359
Mononoke's not even bad but I saw the english dub once and its awfulness and expensiveness still haunts me.
>>
>>54892382
>dub
thats where you went wrong senpai
>>
>>54890472
I was hyped for the movie when I saw the pitch but I was really disapointed with it wasnt even because of the shit CGI of the beast because it didnt bothered me much
I disliked the main actor acting, his relation with the main girl was not interesting and the story overall was disapointed
Though the costumes and atmosphere was absolutly fantastic
>>
>>54892378
>Kingdom of Heaven
Great movies but make sure to watch the director's cut, the theatrical version is utter shit
>>
>>54892395
The theoretical possibility of a nonshit dub keeps me going back for more punishment. It was big studio with big money and big name actors.... maybe it could have worked. It did not work.
>>
>>54892407
>Great movies but make sure to watch the director's cut, the theatrical version is utter shit
That goes for pretty much all movies. The only time you don't watch the Director's Cut is for the Star Wars films.
>>
>>54892382
>Mononoke's english dub
>awfulness

??? mononoke-hime's english dub isn't particularly bad, it's average as fuck
>>
>>54892436
Billy. Bob. Thornton.

I mean Minnie Driver was also pretty bad but not exceptionally so.
>>
>>54892330
>They're all great movies
They're not. They have above average cinematography for their time, but plots and scores are painfully o.k. Probably the best one is Schindler's List and that is carried by some good editing and the fact that Liam Neeson is great when properly directed.

>Only subhumans connect low number of seers to quality, or viceversa
Good thing I don't. I compare them to better movies. Most of the shit on Ebert's list are movies that reveal absolutely nothing on repeat viewings. No hidden nuances. No great performances to immerse in. Honestly, the movies on his list that you can actually watch multiple time are the fucking cult classics like Lebowski and Star Wars. There's only like 10 good movies on there and they are all quite low down.

>>54892359
>Use of animation
Very vague, what do you mean?

>character development az the mc descends into the curse of the demon
>melodramatic bitching is now character development
did you like anakin in the prequels?

>worldbuidling
literally babbies first asian mythology. Derivative as fuck.

>and the first use of environmentalism and the value of nature/life
>muh nature
has always been and will always be a shitty topic.
>>
File: 1498750367788.jpg (70KB, 500x600px) Image search: [Google]
1498750367788.jpg
70KB, 500x600px
>>54892494
>t. typical /tv/ poster
if you dont like anime you can get out of 4chan
>>
>>54892126
>literally wizards swinging swords at each other

>sci-fi

lol okay anon
>>
>>54892533
>What is more likely is that while they were in their pods, the primarches did not actually have physical form, being warp stuff that came into shape resembling the local lifeforms.
Cowboy Bebop is good because it has amazing plot development and depth, expressed both through plot and strong visuals carried by above average animation

Redline is pure eye-candy, you can pause at any moment and just drink in the details.

Miyazaki movies are bland shit and only retards like them to appear nuanced.
>>
>>54889050
>i dont watch anime
>i dont watch japanese animation

there you go
>>
>>54892533
>site has been divided into weeaboo and non weeaboo boards for well over a decade, despite the initial conception
>Weeaboos still use this argument
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>54892465
>Billy. Bob. Thornton.

Okay...? That's one voice actor among like, dozens. Yes, Billy Bob Thornton completely phoned in his work on Mononoke-hime and he sounds like he belongs in a different movie altogether, but how the fuck does that ruin the entirety of the dub?

And Minne Driver did a serviceable job. Fuck off, you're just a contrarian. There's actually bad dubs out there and you say a critically-acclaimed film like Mononoke has an awful dub?
>>
>>54892494
if I had known the kinds of elitism I would bring out in /tg/ than I never would've made this godforsaken thread

>derivative as fuck
lol ok, give me some examples of the iron age/ spirit world setting used in mainstream media before 1996

even if you give me a list of 50 it's a stupid fucking point to make

>star wars has its main character wear white and its main villain wear black as a reference to western films
>derivative as fuck, 0/10
>>
>>54892662
Some of the voices were merely wooden, Minnie Driver was slightly less than servicable in my opinion but it wouldn't have ruined a movie on its own. Billy Bob was atrocious though and basically enough to bring it all down around him.

Claire Danes was actually pretty good from what I remember.
>>
>>54892609
>Cowboy Bebop
>amazing plot development

ohshitnigger what the fuck are you talking about?

it's literally
>random filler episode
>"gee I wonder where the villain from my backstory is"

>final episode
>OH SHIT BITCH HE'S HERE
>>
>>54888774
Ghibli is the most normie anime there is. The director frequently criticizes much of the current anime industry for being self-fellating and out of touch with reality.
>>
The Great Escape, because you've got to know how to escape from the enemy, and do it with style.
>>
>>54892715
>lol ok, give me some examples of the iron age/ spirit world setting used in mainstream media before 1996
it's literally just japanese folklore

>star wars has its main character wear white and its main villain wear black as a reference to western films
Exactly, it's a reference, not an outright copy.

Imagine if someone makes a generic vampire movie. Just: there's a vampire, he does vampire stuff, gets staked at the end. No twist on it. No clever execution. That's what Mononoke does. Or if someone makes a Tolkien copy, see Eragon. The only difference is, you don't know the source material so you're blown away by japanese spirituality 101. It's like the crosses in Evangelion
>>
>>54892852
>It's like the crosses in Evangelion
Not being able to see the forest for the trees?
>>
>>54892381

You mean in Grave?

Well, basically Takahata wanted to make sure 1980s kids wouldn't grow up as "irresponsible" as their older teenager brothers and sisters were, and also that shit. Or were tought to, I honestly don't know if the bad behaviour that certainly japs tought was going with young people that days was real or not. But he clearly was sincere, that's not the issue.

This is already a pretty debatable idea. Kids need respect as anyone, and if you want them to stop doing something they're generally good enough to undestand way. But still, that's not the problem.

The problem is that he didn't do a cautionary tale about "real" 1980s kids.

He said "you should respect your elders" by having 1940s kids behaving carefree like 80s ones. Wich basically didn't happen (no, it doesn't AT ALL in the book).

He didn't characterize them at all (tell me ONE specific thing about Seita and Setsuko): that's the cheapest way. You want the viewers to empatize with them, not them to be compelling characters. There is actually no real conflict, most tellingly perhaps: it's a collection of bad thing that happen because Seita is an idiot and can't get that good times will end. You know they're gonna die and why, you can't care for their struggles. It's literally just crying, without a catharsis.

The perhaps most striking thing to me is the picture of Setsuko standing up to viewer and doing the salute. She wouldn't do that, it's out of the story, not even just out of the character. Bascially he's telling us that not only there is no story, just a message, but that message is "think of your parents".

Even if that message made sense (parents are right because they suffered? Really, Takahata? Who are you shitting more, adults or kids?) it's the perfect telling. She's not a soldier, she didn't go to war or play that. The story is meaningless, literally.

>>54892494

>not rewatching shit like Armacord or Nosferatu

Come on dude, at least put something on that bait.
>>
>>54893166

To add: an honest director could do two things.

1) movie about 1980s, kids behave like real kids/teenagers, end badly (possibly 'cause economy changes, whatever), yadda yadda. It is hard-handed, but whatever, the moral here would be anyway.

2) You could make viewers empatize with 1940s kids by portraying them honestly.
BUT that wouldn't mean they're "right" by itself

Sorry for the rant. That movie makes me angry.
>>
>>54891696
False analogies?
>>
>>54891815
Woot you go girl
Yes he was a fag
>>
>>54892290
SW isn't scifi because of psychic powers? Holly fuck everyone shut up genre Jesus is here to save us.
>>
>>54895797
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Science_fantasy

Science fantasy versus science fiction

Distinguishing between science fiction and fantasy, Rod Serling claimed that the former was "the improbable made possible" while the latter was "the impossible made probable". As a combination of the two, science fantasy gives a scientific veneer of realism to things that simply could not happen in the real world under any circumstances. Where science fiction does not permit the existence of fantasy or supernatural elements, science fantasy explicitly relies upon them.
>>
You know what actually plays out as a good long-term campaign. Yu Yu Hakusho. A good 4 person party. The whole show plays out like a campaign
>>
>>54895903
I liken it to Space Opera but Space Fantasy works as well.
>>
>>54895903
Well you're gay or something.
I would consider SW light SciFi because the force is so toned down and relatively weak. They didn't dbz a star destroyer, it's just psychic abilities rarely useful out of melee range.
Again you're right and gay.
>>
File: spoon1.jpg (6KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
spoon1.jpg
6KB, 480x360px
>Dog Soldiers

For your standard group operating game against the supernatural.
>>
>>54895797
It's not science fantasy just because of the force (which is not psionics btw), almost all of technology used in Star Wars is pure fantasy too. Especially things like lightsabers and blasters.
>>
>>54896319
Blasters are completely SciFi just like any other laser weapon. Lightsabers are bs, I'll give you that. Gay or something.
>>
>>54896319
Its also worth pointing out that every plot beat and character archetype draws from the tradition of fantasy and fairy tales rather than sci-fi. The dark knight, the farm boy hero, the princess and the scoundrel, the trickster mentor, the evil wizard. The OT Star Wars is a classic fantasy novel set in space instead of ye olde middle ages.
>>
>>54896319

To be fair it's a thin line. Star Trek has some hippie technobabble that is mind-boggingly and has no reason to be there.

I'd say space opera because the genre is pretty clearly a thing of symbolism and muh Hero's journey, but it would be even if -jumpdrives aside- Han piloted a honest-to-science nuclear gascore shio with perfectly calculated DV, radiation shielding and acceleration.

In the same way, Dune isn't any more "fantastic" because the ecology is more or less sensible (aside from the worms themselves).
>>
Fantasy Films
>LoTR
>Conan the Barbarian
>Pirates of the Carribean: Curse of the Black Pearl
>Highlander (ignore the sequels)
>The Seventh Voyage of Sinbad
>Mulan
>Moana
>Raiders of the Lost Ark
>300
>Knight's Tale
>Nausicaa and the Valley of the Wind
>Princess Mononoke

Fantasy Shows
>Avatar the Last Airbender
>Slayers
>Berserk
>Game of Thrones (kinda)
>Hercules Legendary Journeys
>Xena Warrior Princess
>The Librarians
>Castlevania (netflix)
>Merlin
>Samurai Jack

Sci-fi Films
>Star Wars franchise
>Alien
>Aliens
>Blade Runner
>Terminator franchise
>Edge of Tomorrow
>The Fifth Element
>Serenity
>Avengers
>Guardians of the Galaxy
>The Matrix

Scifi Shows
>Star Trek
>Firefly
>Star Wars Clone Wars
>Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex
>Stargate SG-1
>Farscape
>Babylon 5
>The X-Files
>Doctor Who
>Legends of Tomorrow
>Futurama
>Cowboy Bebop
>Samurai Jack
>Power Rangers franchise

In general, movies are where you pull your BBEG, shows are where you pull your arcs, quests, settings, and monsters of the week
>>
>>54896369

Laser weapons are perfectly plausible, actually.
>>
File: Folder.jpg (28KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
Folder.jpg
28KB, 200x200px
>>54888486

Spielberg has gone on record saying Castle of Cagliostro is one of the greatest adventure movies ever made.

It'd tangentially a /tg/ film in setting, but very /tg/ in spirit. A thief, a sharpshooter, a samurai, and a femme fatale team up to save the princess from the evil Baron who wants to use her for his own gain. Castles, dungeons, climbing towers, etc.

A very fun, timeless movie that everyone (/tg/ or otherwise) should give a chance.
>>
>>54887915
>lotr trilogy
Couldn't pay me to watch that alt-right power fantasy.
>>
If anyone suggests Monty Python I'll fooking glass ya I swear on me mum.
>>
>>54896429
Good list there, but Nausicaa is definitely more sci-fi than fantasy.
>>
>>54896481
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caBOkyguZ_c
>>
>>54888486
So, I'll be honest it's not a lot like the other Lupin movies, because it's basically a hidden Studio Ghibli film. However, it's full of crazy plans and I'd say it's pretty inspiring for certain parties.

>>54888900
>Muppet Treasure Island
Mah nigerian sibling
>>
>>54896481
You're more retarded than I am.
>>
>>54896438
But Star Wars blasters are fantasy weapons that generate slow moving (slower than modern bullets) explosive bolts of energy from fantasy gas. They have nothing to do with lasers.

Also, Star Trek is science fantasy too. Majority of sci-fi is and there's nothing wrong with that. That's why sci-fi which is actually SCIENCE fiction, is called hard sci-fi. Aliens would be a good movie example.
>>
>>54896571
Dat Aliens Retro-Futurism

Green CTR Monitors
No GUI
Command Inputs
>>
>>54896610
Well, it was futuristic in 1986. If you want something newer and even more harder then watch The Martian or something.
>>
>>54896610
>>54896706
Actual space vehicles have run on ancient computer hardware too though, outside earth's atmosphere radiation has a huge impact on electronics and causes more faults with modern nanometer-sized circuitry.
>>
>>54896571

That's true, I was just point out that laser guns will almost surely be there in not even too much decades.

Regarding ST: i think structurally the episodes are clearly posited towards a "how can we UNDERSTAND this thing to solve it?"
And the understanding is not on some form of mythical archetypes either. Even when they find fucking Apollo.

I think it's way too... hrm... brainy to be space opera. It can be social scifi, but to me the distinct is pretty clear.

>that's way Abhrams movie failed so hard at being ST, actually. It was about trying to resist the villains attempt, which is totaly another thing.
>>
>>54897050
>Star Trek
>brainy
Most of their moral quandaries involve grade school level philosophy. Also in the original series they literally find a planet ruled by mythological Greek gods who dress in togas, throw lightning bolts, and grab orbiting spaceships with giant magical hands. Star Trek is the definition of Science-Fantasy/Space Opera.
>>
>>54897050
Yeah, I agree that Star Trek has scientific narrative despite some episodes having clearly fantastic elememts and technobabble not making sense. Also, I think Abrams failed because he basically forgot that Star Trek is supposed to be utopian space communism.
>>
>>54897114
>>54897114

I used exactly that example, Wesley. Still think it's about understanding, the resolving shit.

No one talked about morality.

I'll add that I didn't talk about hard scifi. The Hitchiker's Guide was softer than Star Wars, and clearly not Space Opera.

Don't agree? No prob, but shup up. Wesley, I already answered.
>>
>>54897153

IT's not even the science, to me, it's really the structure of the episodes. Basically when they get what is going and/how to do shit on they can win.

... which to be fair doesn't really happen in the movies.
>>
>>54896429
>>The Librarians
I see John Rogers worked on this. Is it any good? I liked his Blue Beetle run and Fell's Five. Or is it a different John Rogers?

>tfw Fell's Five continuation never ever
I'd settle for a novel adaption but what I'd really want is a live action adaption.
>>
>Kono Subarashii
>Parody of the stuck in another world genre that SAO popularized
Is this genuinely funny? The only one I liked was The Devil is a Part Timer and I didn't like when it got too serious.
>>
File: luggage.png (793KB, 1280x738px) Image search: [Google]
luggage.png
793KB, 1280x738px
>>54897560
The general opinion is that it is funny, but it's better to just watch it yourself. Though some of the jokes do get repetitive.
>>
>>54897656
>No dubs yet
Hrrrng, I tend to wait for comedy anime to get dubbed first. A lot of the jokes fly over my head when it's just subbed plus the delivery isn't as impactful for me subbed. Timing is key for me.
>>
The Ninth Gate.

Seriously. It's deeply unsettling, a good look at what it would be like to stumble into an occult conspiracy as a bog standard mortal. Also Johnny Depp fucks the devil, so there's that.
>>
>>54889179
>Approved Movies have no write-ups
That's annoying.
>>
>>54888741
I can't stand anime as a general rule, but I love Studio Ghibli, as it has a definite western influence. It's very Disneyesque but without the fear of addressing mature concepts that Disney has.
>>
>>54897560
It's one of those rare shows where you find yourself enjoying the interactions. The story is meh - it doesn't really make sense. But watching the way the characters interact with each other is great.
>>
>tfw my movie list has grown by at least 15 hours after this thread, not counting tv shows
How do you people find time for this?
>>
>>54888774
>Not liking anime or Japanese culture
>On a Kyrgyzstani archery board
>>
>>54888365
holy shit that's a pleb ass selection of books
>>
>>54897745
>It's deeply unsettling, a good look at what it would be like to stumble into an occult conspiracy as a bog standard mortal.
Sounds good ill check it out
>Also Johnny Depp fucks the devil, so there's that.
way to not spoiler tag your post you raging fucktard
>>
>>54892436
>??? mononoke-hime's english dub isn't particularly bad, it's average as fuck
You people do realize that they COMPLETELY butchered the translation to a point of basically re-writing entire characters and cutting or adding lines, because they thought retarded Americans won't like it othewise?
>>
No Twilight Zone?
>>
Voyage of the unicorn.
If you have never seen this movie, you have missed out on some good stuff.
>>
>>54888134
Serenity for sure, for perfect Lawful Neutral.
>>
>>54899466
I definitely prefer to amputate the awful jap-centric writing in a dub. Lots of things don't translate. or shouldn't be translated I'm pretty sure Ghibli worked pretty closely to whatever major western studio that released it theatrically anyway. Still better than like 40% of ghibli stuff.

Having said that, Mononoke's dub is still a travesty on its own.
>>
>>54901897
>I'm pretty sure Ghibli worked pretty closely to whatever major western studio that released it theatrically anyway. Still better than like 40% of ghibli stuff.
They absolutely did not. Curiously enough, the absolute fucking travesty of a localization of Miramax's version was heavily Tarantino's initiative. The only actual cooperation between Ghibly and Miramax there was one really angry argument between Miyazaki and Miramax'es head, and Ghibli sending them a katana with a message implying that if they actually mess with the fucking footage, that sword is gonna go through their head. Because Miramax not only wanted to butcher the translation COMPLETELY, they actually wanted to re-cut the movie.

Americans should not be allowed to handle any foreign properties EVER.
>>
>>54901944
Hahahaha, awesome. There's a good portion of shit that seriously cannot and should not be attempted for translation. I try and avoid films with any of that in the first place but it's tough to know beforehand obviously.
anime is only good if japan isn't part of it
>>
File: flesh+blood.jpg (185KB, 649x1000px) Image search: [Google]
flesh+blood.jpg
185KB, 649x1000px
>>
>>54901964
>There's a good portion of shit that seriously cannot and should not be attempted for translation.
Bullshit. Most of the alterations they made had nothing to do with things impossible to translate. There is nothing hard to translate about on-screen text that simply spells out when and where does the story take place. It has been removed exclusively because american publishers have SO FUCKING LOW opinion of their audiences that they thing historical frame of reference would make them angry.
Rest of the changes just remove nuance from the story. Like Ashitaka calmly and almost happily saying farewells and thanks after he has been exiled, which is a line that FLAT OUT DID NOT EXIST in the original script - it was added by the american publishers presumably because they thought him being silent for the entire time makes the scene too serious and Ashitaka's feels too hard to read for the audience.
The same goes to addition of multiple cartoonish lines into the highly violent scenes, serving purely to make the violence less terrifying - for no fucking reason.

And don't get me started on what they did to the monk character. They turned him into a fucking comic relief character. It makes no fucking sense, he is the main fucking VILLAIN of the story.
>>
>>54902064
Oh no I'm not going to defend it, it's one of the worse dubs in history even among really awful dubs.
>>
>>54895924
>campaign has a main character
>tournaments where the party watches each other have 1 on 1 battles

I wouldn't want to play in your campaign anon
>>
File: We have this thread every day.jpg (37KB, 396x382px) Image search: [Google]
We have this thread every day.jpg
37KB, 396x382px
>>54887915
Jesus fucking Christ....
Every. Fucking. Day.

It's like you all can't into 1dchan

https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Approved_movies
https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Approved_Television

And before some faggot goes "b-but that list is old" - I've updated it this weekend. Go fuck yourself, but stop shitting out one thread after another finally

>>54888134
You can kill yourself anyway

>>54888266
Of course it is.

>>54888279
https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Approved_anime

>>54888365
>>>/lit/
>>
>>54902439
I haven't studied the other lists, but the approved anime list is utter garbage.
Also, the point of having these threads is to discuss shit that you would not find otherwise.
>>
>>54897755
Fine, I can make you a write-ups to over 300 titles.

I wonder who is going to read them, even if each of them is going to be a single line and just needlessly bloat the list itself. And some of them out of necessity will have to be longer, bloating it further.

Compare it with other lists and you will understand why the one with films has only titles and bare minimum of information added.
>>
>>54902460
Anon, I'm watching all threads like those.
And this one is literally repeating the same shit over and over again. Not a SINGLE new title that could go on the approved list.

And I'm just managing the movie list, so go figure
>>
>>54902460
You know what, out of sheer curiosity I've made a peek on the anime list. And guess what - go fuck yourself and the horse you ride on. It's perfectly fine, if smallish.

All I can spot from lacking and /tg/ as fuck titles is Witch Hunter Robin.
>>
I'd put Red Cliff up there as an excellent /tg/ film.
>>
>>54902503
Or actually some of the best and most inspirational anime that exists, such as Mushi-shi, Kino no Tabi, S.E. Lain etc...
>>
File: (You).png (534KB, 1156x999px) Image search: [Google]
(You).png
534KB, 1156x999px
>>54902460
>I have shit taste and I desire attention because of that
>>
>>54902530
It's already on the list for past... dunno, 2 years? Something like that.

>>54902531
If you can justify their presence on the list, be my fucking guest and add them. Like I've said on many occassions in those threads, I don't touch anime list, since I'm not "fluent" enough in the subject
>>
>>54902538
The list is full of mediocre stuff while missing some of the best and most related works in the medium, as well as handful of most basic good works that anyone who knows even a little about the medium already knows.

>>54902566
I prefer recommending stuff to people directly, rather than these nebulous and poorly constructed lists. No offense, I see that you are directly involved and that is fine, but I don't think these things are better and more useful than actually making a thread and talking shit through.
>>
File: 1368206523933.jpg (57KB, 554x527px) Image search: [Google]
1368206523933.jpg
57KB, 554x527px
>>54902587
Like I've said - if you can justify it, feel free to add to the list, instead of BITCHING LIKE A LITTLE CUNT!

Because seriously, what's your major disfunction, private? You came in, bitch about the list content, but when asked to work on it, you bitch about list in general.,
If you don't care about lists - shut the fuck up.
If you want to expand the list - shut the fuck up and do so.
If you are just here to complain - shut the fuck up and neck yourself.
>>
>>54887915
I'll probably get shot down, but I can't understand why Princess Bride is so loved.
Tried to watch it several times and was bored not even halfway in.
>>
>>54899148
She was the whore of babylon right?
I don't think she was the devil.
>>
>>54902648
Not him, but she was THE devil. The script flat-out says so.

>>54902643
Wait, you managed to stay bored after the duel between Inigo and Man in Black? Because I can grasp the first 15 or so minutes as boring, but by the time everything is set for that duel, the film turns into a great adventure.
>>
>>54902619
>Like I've said - if you can justify it, feel free to add to the list, instead of BITCHING LIKE A LITTLE CUNT!
Wow, I really touched a nerve here. That was not my intention, and I'm not happy about it, though you probably should learn to deal with these kinds of situations better - for your own sake.

>If you don't care about lists - shut the fuck up.
I'm reacting to a person bitching that people chose to discuss things instead of reading your damn list, kid. I would have completely ignored the lists if you (or somebody else) here did not come in screaming at people because they chose a different way of learning about works that might be interesting from the perspective of their hobby.
>>
>>54902439
What a mediocre fucking list.
>>
>>54902587
Do you at least understand what's the point of that listing? It's not "my 10 favourite animes of all times".
It's about stuff relatable to the hobby one way or another. On the same principle the approved movie list is drowning with B-movies and similar schock, but it does relate to the hobby.
>>
>>54902773
>Do you at least understand what's the point of that listing? It's not "my 10 favourite animes of all times".
To be honest, I don't. That is kinda my problem: I see no damn point to that list.

>It's about stuff relatable to the hobby one way or another.
That is equally as arbitrary as the claim that it's good. Actually, I find the idea that /tg/ related stuff has to be mediocre or even subpar rather abhorent to begin with.
>>
>>54902460
>>54902587
>>54902756
>>54902860
>>>/a/
>>
>Have a half-decent thread
>Suddenly wild weeb appears
>He ruins everything
>>
>>54888900
how about that ol' soviet cartoon adaptation with pirates singing about healthy lifestyle between the action
>>
>>54902439
Why is Blade Runner Final Cut on the list when it's objectively worse than the theatrical cut?
>>
Dungeons and Dragons movies
Yu-Gi-Oh!
Warhammer 40,000:Ultramarines
Robotech
Pretty much all the Lovecraftian movies you can find
STar Wars
Star Trek
>>
>>54897704
It's one of those things where I've found the delivery of the Japs to be great. So long as you can read well enough the tone and delivery of the lines is genuinely funny even if you don't understand gookspeak
>>
>>54902997
>Baiting this hard
Either you are trying too hard or are really retarded. It was the theatrical cut that came in with fucked up "happy ending" and voice-over narrative.
>>
>>54901944
>Americans should not be allowed to handle any foreign properties EVER.
There is ONE exception of that rule:
Friedkin's Sorcerer.
The French original, Wages of Fear, is all-time classic of world cinematography. And Sorcerer is a masterful American remake that takes great film and turns it into fantastic film. Especially with the HD restored release from two years ago.

I wish at least 10% of remakes were like that
>>
>>54887915
>Kingdom of Heaven
>>
>>54903100
>There is ONE exception of that rule
The departed is better than internal affairs
>>
>>54903100
Actually, I can come up with more examples. For an example: despite the over-abundance of stupid pop-culture references, Ghost Stories are considerably more entertaining than the original Gakko Kaidan was.

That said, those are exceptions to the rule.
>>
>>54903119
the director's cut!

Also, while it's pretty mindless I think Drifters is interesting, especially since we seem to be including just edgy violent anime from recent years. It's made by Kouta Hirano. The same hack who wrote Hellsing, so it's also the same art style and shit. If you're recommending Hellsing, which is essentially nothing but glorious ultra-violence with nazi vampires, then drifters is okay too which is essentially nothing but glorious ultra-violence, but with elves and Oda Nobunaga.
>>
>>54889116
>Ghost in the Shell
>Akira
>Paprika

Sure Studio Ghibli is good, but these movies that I listed are not obscure. Go expand your horizon, Anon.
>>
File: 1454199889110.jpg (109KB, 736x552px) Image search: [Google]
1454199889110.jpg
109KB, 736x552px
i-is /v/idya allowed ?

>>54887915
>13th Warrior
duh
>The Red Tent
Bible kino with a lot of exploitable elements, sadly underapreciated
>Solomon Kane
goat actor, decent effects, generic plot
>Warcraft
generic but effective
>Constantine
God, angels, demons, possession, all that stuff
>John Carter
origenerical races, generic but decent plot I guess
>Curse of the Black Pearl
>Master and Commander
/tg/ kino
>The Maze Runner
interesting way to tell the story, even if the story itself isn't that good
>Kingdom of Heaven
D E U S
E
U
S
>Knights of Badassdom
meme-tier movie that has a few funny moments
>Ritchie's recent King Arthur
very substantial, classic movie/story, not a single drop of originality which drapes it in a vague sense of familiarity
>Conan
the books are better, obviously, but hey...
>Troy
action/war etc
>Underworld 3
didn't like it, was bored af, might be of interest if you're into furry shit
>all the movies that recyle Greek mythology like Percy Jackson, Immortals, Clash of the Titans, 300, Hercules, etc
they have some easily reusable plot schemes because of how generic they are, the action can be good too but you'll have to turn your brain off
>Prince of Persia
>Assassin's Creed
movies are shit compared to the games, but hey...

>>54888848
>Slayers
mah nigga
>>
>>54897560
>File: luggage.png (793 KB, 1280x738)
>>54897560

Honestly, I wouldn't list is as "required" wieving (it's good, but very much an in-joke) but you'll most surely feel right at home and remember your disfunctional parties.

>>54897745

Hated that one. The book is even worse.

>>54902064

>implying the real villain isn't Ashitaka

That thing with the jewel was AWFUL, I dunno what other Miyazaki character stooped that low, possibly just the older Torukian emperor

Anyway nah, seriously, it's perfectly doable, you're right. The japanese references are surprisingly low - many elevens were puzzled at shits like the names of Jiko's followers, totally M. invention. What would have beee done is a work on the tones and recitation of the characters.
I think in a sense Disney was a little bit justified (well, not really, but stil) in that they signed thinking "great, we're gonna have Kiki 2" and instead they had Eco-Spiritual Apocalypse: The Movie. Sen to Chihiro has a pretty shit dub as well but it's less cringe-worthy (and people loved it more, big surprise).

Anyway if people are this autistic about anime (and I guess cartoons) just put that shit into two different lists, it's not that hard.

>tough I'm not sure what happens with shit like Ichi the Killer or Shin Godzilla, of which at least the first is recommandable

Anyway, some others. No drawing this time.

>Pan's Labyrinth
>Indiana Jones 1 and 3 (I'd say more the latter)
>Original Ghostbusters (greatest party)
>>
Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust because fuck the older one
>>
>>54887915
>anime

fuck off
>>
>>54889050
threadly reminder that i don't give a shit, and if you still watch cartoons as an adult you should end it all
>>
>>54889116
>It's actually good. The animation, the writing, the music, it's all actually really good

it's retard slant shit, you are a disgrace to america

remember pearl harbor
>>
>>54896469
>Spielberg has gone on record saying Castle of Cagliostro is one of the greatest adventure movies ever made.

Ah, Spielberg, a hackneyed producer of mass market entertainment product for the idiocracy. Forgive me for not considering him a credible source.
>>
>>54903573
>That thing with the jewel was AWFUL, I dunno what other Miyazaki character stooped that low, possibly just the older Torukian emperor
Wait, what? What are you talking about?

Also, wasn't it the Miramax dub that actually just changed dropped San's name entirely?
>>
>>54903747
>he hates Spielberg
Surefire sign of an ultimate redditor pleb. Spielberg is in the top 5 American directors of all time
>>
>>54903902
Perhaps that says more about the creative bankruptcy of Hollywood and the cultural atrophy of the USA than anything else, if a purveyor of vapid trash is held as a "top 5 director"?
>>
>>54903679

Go figure what should do people that play pretend as adults!

How about other suggestions?

Anime:

>Juuni Kokuki
>Shinsekai Yori
>Girls und Panzer (yes, really)
>Evangelion (oh, yes. Mandatory for Monsterhearts, for example)
>Mahou Shoujotai Arusu

Live action - now scifi edition:
>Children of Men
>Ex Machina (tough for our purposes it's one pc vs two NPCs)
>Fantastic Voyage
>The Thing

>>54903761

You know that at the beginning he receives a jewel thing from Kaya, the girl at his village?

She's his bride to be. She's almost surely been at his side since they were kids, she's been her big brother (I think they even said somewhere in interviews that she's an orphan), her destiny and her first love.

Then he's just gonna die, practically speaking. In five minutes or so, her and his destiny are decided. Frantically she manages to reach him and convey her feelings in the only way she could. He smiles and he's gone.

Then, in his journey, he sees that fighting wolf chick who's always been his magical realm, knows her perhaps for two days, she kisses him and gives to her Kaya's most precious gift in a whim

I mean, he's going trough a lot, but SHEEEEEIIT, dude.

>fun fact: the girls have the same seiyuu
>>
>>54904043
>She's his bride to be. She's almost surely been at his side since they were kids, she's been her big brother (I think they even said somewhere in interviews that she's an orphan), her destiny and her first love.
Did you miss how she's his sister in the dub? Probably, considering the amount of half-true bullshit you spew you probably never saw it and are just regurgitating some artist weeb's blogpost
>>
>>54904156

I watched that with correct subtitles, amigo, I'm not that dumb. The sister title is.. a title.

For a jap citation, why not start with wikipedia links?

https://ciatr.jp/topics/46091
>>
>>54904043
>She's his bride to be.
Those are some really fucking stupid assumptions. I'm pretty sure she actually fucking calls him "brother" in the original voiceacting. And even if I was mistaken on that, there is absolutely no fucking assumption that she is supposed to be his bride.
Also, even if that was true (and there is no evidence to support that thesis), he has been exiled and is presumed to be incurably ill and a threat to everyone he meets.
Also, in Japanese gift culture, passing on gifts is NOT viewed as amoral. In fact it's completely standard.

>>54904273
>The sister title is.. a title.
No, it's not. The blog that you posted has no particular credibility. It claims that Emishi called their partners as siblings, but there is no anthropological evidence of that. Neither is there a reason to assume that the movie will rather follow an unknown Emishi convention than use actual convential Japanese standards. Because even if somehow there was evidence that his claims on Emishi culture are correct, it's not a common knowledge among the audience. Kinship terms in Japanese are not titles. Especially not downward facing ones.
It's just someone's wank fiction.
>>
>>54904337

So, I need to quote Miyazaki directly. Oh, anon, why do you crave humiliation so much? It's literally just a google search.

http://www.nausicaa.net/miyazaki/interviews/m_on_mh.html

>- Kaya, who saw Ashitaka off, loved Ashitaka, didn't she?

M: Yes of course. She calls him "Anisama (older brother)", but it just means that he is an older boy in her clan.

- So they are not real brother and sister.

M: If they were, that wouldn't be interesting at all. There used to be a lot of marriage among blood relations in Japan. I thought of Kaya as a girl who is determined to do so (marry Ashitaka). But Ashitaka chose San. It's not strange at all to live with San, who lives with such a brutal fate. That's life.

>Also, in Japanese gift culture, passing on gifts is NOT viewed as amoral. In fact it's completely standard.

I'd like a quote on that.
>>
>>54904273
>>54904337
It doesn't matter if in japanese it's a title because that's the bullshit that can't translate. The weird japanese cultural memes that nobody else likes or uses. If she's not his sister she better not be called his fucking sister because that's what it means. You can't just go around saying the opposite of things and expect people to take your culture seriously.
>>
>>54904043
ah yes, the true works of art Kung Pow Chicken, Chop Suey Fried Rice and Sucky Sucky Five Dolla, truly cinematic masterworks for the ages to be appreciated alongside Truffaut.
>>
>>54904466
>muh kino
Do you actually watch obscure 1960s French cinema or are you basically just a cunts?
No need to answer that.
>>
>>54904406
Your quote isn't even a concrete assertation. Outside interviews from the creators are useful if you want to learn more about the setting but have absolutely no bearing on the actual movie. If they wanted that scene to depict a bride-to-be pining over her exiled fiance it would have been much more explicit. It seems pretty damn played out that she is meant to be his sister in the context of the movie, director intentions be rained. There are plenty if examples of artists, authors, and other content creators having different intentions for their work than is presented (Rowling, Lucas, etc ). In all likelihood the rest of the production team cut that idea because it's esoteric and, like you stated, weakens the believability of the story.
>>
>>54904484
Do you watch anything not made for braindead oriental kiddies or are you just a retard?

No need to answer that, I don't speak gook.
>>
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pearl_Harbor_(film)

All of you little commie VC lovers should watch this and learn to respect people who fought for their country
>>
>>54904430

Actually, in the second dub in my country she calls him big brother (or something a little more literary, but yeah, brother).

I don't think anybdoby got weirded out by that - and there's a LOT of shit that is hard to understnad in that movie at first glance, for japanese as well.

No one said every movie should be "easy".

>>54904466

That anon.

Eh, don't really like Truffaut. Farhenheit is kinda wooden in acting, so I never really went on with him. Should watch at least l'Enfant Sauvage, I guess.

Tati is another that I don't get. I'm possibly overexposed to iyashikei, believe it or not - Hulot feels too naive now.

I like Cocteau and Bresson, actually I advised the foormer right in this thread.

>>54904517

Come on anon. Just accept, you didn't understand that part. Maybe it's Miyazaki's fault, more probably the dub (in japanese is pretty obvious that she likes him enought to have some doobuts at the very fucking least).

It happens.

>>54904550
>>54904550
>>54904550

If there is a movie that shit on actual soldiers, it is that. Mostly on american ones.
>>
>>54896191
Shit yes.
Remember, kitchenware is +1 toward lycanthropes.
>>
>>54904466
>Truffaut
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Whats next Fellini?
Truffaut is a fucking hack, try watching some good cinema
>>
>>54904484
>truffaut
>obscure
Lmao
Truffaut is shit though
>>54904021
>Spielberg is vapid trash
Spielberg has made some of the finest works of art in the film medium, it's too bad you're too contrarian to enjoy them.
>>
File: pc plans.webm (2MB, 500x200px) Image search: [Google]
pc plans.webm
2MB, 500x200px
Bahubali
>>
>>54887915
I submit that Willow should be on the list, for swashbuckling reasons, and because Bavmorda is a hilariously hammy evil wizardess.
>>
>>54892432
Apocalypse now directors cut is much worse than theatrical.
>>
>>54905533
Also the best bluff roll in cinema.
>>
>>54904559
Speaking of bresson, Lancelot du lac is a pretty good choice for this thread
>>
>>54903207
But in the end both are movies slightly above average.
Meanwhile "Wages..." is already kino, and "Sorcerer" is kino deluxe.

>>54903224
Lucky you. For me American remakes are synonymous with missing all the marks, fucking up even the basic premise and often just doing the remake for the sake of it, so the studio can then hold rights to the title and make another remake 25 years after the first one.

>>54903361
Vidya has own list:
https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Video_games

And thanks for reminding me about Constantine, I couldn't recall the title of that one

Anything else either is already on the movie list OR is so fucking bad there is no way it will end on that list.
But come to think about it, Underworld series is/could be good for running some weird Vampire/Werewolf mash-up. Then again, who still plays them in current year?
I do

Prince of Persia is THE best "vidya" movie ever made, fight me

>>54903573
Maybe because the book is trying to be in the same time occult stuff, detective story and a comedy.
Movie is a serious(ish) occult thriller

>>54904043
>Making things up this hard
Anon, Mononoke Hime has one of THE best dubbs in anime history, both in faithfulness to the original and actual co-operation with Ghibli. So kindly - go fuck yourself.

Also, ExMachina is hot garbage due to the final 15 minutes, when everyone goes 100% retarded just to get the plot moving.

>>54904550
Did you just posted one of the worst war movies ever made? A movie that managed to insult real people involved with that "skirmish"? A movie so detatched from reality, dragons in it would feel just about right?

>>54905533
Willow is already on the list for almost a year.

And I want /lit/, /a/, /tv/ and /pol/ to leave this fucking thread. Nobody asked you for your opinions on just about anything. Post movies related with the hobby ot get the fuck out.
>>
>>54906586
Not /tg/ but Postal is the best vidya movie adaptation ever.
>>
>>54906586
>For me American remakes are synonymous with missing all the marks
Not remakes (remakes GENERALLY tend to be awful, though I would argue that a couple weren't bad, like the American version of Circle - not necessarily better than the original, but definitely no bad), but I was thinking of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxJ4VWoeOzs
It's not exactly high brow humor, and it misses the point of the original so hard that it literally could not miss it any harder, but it's generally just much, much more fun to watch.
>>
>>54906586
> For me American remakes are synonymous with missing all the marks

I'll see that and raise you The Magnificent Seven. It's one of the best Westerns ever made. It's a remake of the Japanese movie Seven Samurai, itself one of the best if not THE best Samurai film ever made (even if you can argue something like Yojimbo is better, there's no doubting that Seven Samurai is a very strong contender).

Funnily enough, Akira Kurosawa, the guy who made Seven Samurai, was a huge fan of Westerns and was basically trying to make a Western for Japanese audiences with Seven Samurai. He absolutely loved The Magnificent Seven, that much is known for certain - Hollywood legend is that he loved it so much that he gave Magnificent Seven's director, John Sturges, a katana.

Then again I think Kurosawa was a bit of a Westaboo in general. Ran, for example, is a Japanese remake of King Lear.
>>
>>54905524
Oh God, I work at a movie theater and I remember watching scenes from this just a few months ago. It was...a trip. Also I think it might be D&D: the Movie.
>>
>>54906793
I know all of that.

And I still can't name more than 10 American remakes that are at least on par with originals. So it's the classic case of "exceptions exist to strengthen the rule"
>>
>>54906586
>Prince of Persia is THE best "vidya" movie ever made
Now that I think of it, you're right. It's a good movie, even though it was disappointing when compared to the games. I can't seem to find a better vidya adaptation
>I love DOOM but it's objectively a bad movie
>Tomb Raider doesn't exist because God isn't cruel enough to let that happen, right ?
>Assassin's Creed was meh
>Advent Children is gay af
>Resident Evil doesn't exist because like I said, Jesus loves us very much
>I love Hitman but it's objectively a shit movie too
I think Warcraft and Max Payne could compete, but otherwise PoP is among the best adaptations even though it's far, far from being as good as the games
>>
>>54906965
It's one of three decent vidya movies (the other two being first Tomb Raider and first Silent Hill) and the only one that is perfectly and honestly 100% watchable without vidya context or even any familiarity with the franchise.

Other movies in this category are simply shit-tier, so no point even comparing.
>>
>>54896429
I mean if you're gonna put the original Highlander movie there, why not include the show on the list too?
>>
>>54906586

I'm not american. I guess you guys simply can't dub shit.

>>54906965

The first Silent Hill is dumb but enjoyable.
>>
>>54907045
I'm not American either, you stupid shit.
>>
>>54891190
Anon, this might shock you, but we have those threads so often, they've created this:
https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Category:Approved_Media

So how new are you to those threads to post shit that was there from the get go?
>>
>>54892533
Is this from Flying Witch?

Season 2 when?
>>
>>54891470
>Apocalypse Now (it's a modern Odyssey and has multiple characters),
You know, when I've started reading this thread post by post I've realised you were retarded from the start.
And also illiterate, since you apparently never fucking heard about Heart of Darkness, which means you had to drop out before getting to high school.
>>
>>54905162
That explains why Spoon was so good - he had a fucking multipilier for more than one kitchenware used at once
>>
>>54896429
>>The Librarians
Oh shit yes! Noah Wide was epic in those!
>>
Also, what about Sharpe series?
>>
>>54897560
It's the kind of show you pick a six pack of beer and your best friend and you watch it together, quickly ending up taking pauses to catch up your breath after another joke.

Viewed "normally" it's not even half that fun.
>>
>>54899009
I (the anon running the movie list) am insomniac. I usually see from 7 to 20 movies per week. It also helps my childhood synergised with the golden age of VHS, so I was watching a lot from the get-go
>>
>>54900570
Medusa best girl
>>
>>54887915
Galavant is great if you want inspiration for comedic characters.
>>
>>54887915
>All those threads
>All the effort
And you all fags forget about Children of the Corn (the new one; cult vs random schmucks), The Village (power of telling stories), Unbreakable (low-power supers) and both versions of Dawn of the Dead (disfunctional group stops being distunctional in zombie apocalypse... for the most part)
>>
>>54907665

Heart of Darkness isn't by any chance Odyssey like.
>>
>>54908573
If you are the original anon, talking about Odyssey in this context, then you really fucking are retarded. Not ironically retarded, just stupidly retarded.
>>
File: Ladyhawke.jpg (323KB, 761x1067px) Image search: [Google]
Ladyhawke.jpg
323KB, 761x1067px
>>54887915
>>
>>54892341
The archetypal "little girl" PC / NPC / DMPC is common, pardon the word, trope of ttrpgs. The movie is a good way to show why one should be wary of them.
>>
>>54908842
Not that anon, but please, show us on a dolly where your GM violated you with shitty ERP
>>
>>54907730
Well, I mean the dude's name was Spoon.
Clearly he knew what he was doing.
>>
>>54908787

If you could compare the two things, you'd note some differences, the movie's ones are the reasons I'd suggest it.

AN is related to the book mostly for Kurtz, and not really that much even. He isn't really an antagonisti (if that is the word) I'd suggest /tg/ to get inspiration from.

The Odyssey thing, btw, comes directly from the words of the scriptwriter, if you don't get it directly from the movie.

http://www.nytimes.com/1991/11/27/movies/review-film-coppola-s-apocalypse-then-the-making-of-a-screen-epic.html

Enjoy your embarassment.
>>
File: stažený soubor.jpg (23KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
stažený soubor.jpg
23KB, 300x168px
>>54887915
>ITT: /tg/ required watching
Not necessarily required, but still pretty useful to fans of the medium (I have a thing for animation in general, Japanese or otherwise).
>Strings (2004)
Swedish animated puppet fantasy movie set in world were characters are literally puppets. It's rather interesting fantasy epic with clever "gamelike" logic to it.

>Secret of Kells and Song of the Sea
Hands down the best western animated fairytale/fantasy movies of the last decade.

>The Fabulous World of Jule Verne / The Fabulous Baron Munchausen / The Stolen Airship/On the Comet
Four movies by Czech Director Karel Zeman, THE QUINTESSENTIAL works of steampunk aesthetics. They are largely based on Verne's stories. Absolutely vital sources of inspiration for the whole aesthetics. Laputa: Castle in the Skies pays homage to them in it's first minute, for an example. Other authors that admited to be deeply inspired by this are Terry Gilliam and Tim Burton. Seriously, it's some absolutely great shit.

Speaking of Czech cinema:
>Krabat: The Sorcerer's Apprentice (1978)
>Midsummer Night Dream (1959)
>Beauty and the Beast aka Panna a netvor
(1978 by Jurai Herz)
Some of the best fantasy/fairytale cinematography you can ever find. Slavs have a knack for fantasy and fairytales. Or at least used to have.

Other than that, when it comes to Anime, I can't stress out how great is
>Kino No Tabi (magical realism anachronist magic/sci-fi travel journals and small stories)
>Mushi-shi (again small stories about travelling doctor/shaman solving magical mysteries)
>Ayakashi: Bakeneko arch and Mononoke (that is JUST Mononoke, not Mononoke-hime)
Similar to Mushi-shi, actually but much more extravagant and surreal. Again travelling doctor/shamman solving magical crimes/mysteries.
and for cyberpunk fans:
>Serial Experiment Lain

Finally few less known mangas:
>Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou
>Domu
And if you had not seen them yet:
Ito's stuff, namely
>Gyo
>Uzumaki
>>
>>54891733
Calm down weeb. I'm pretty sure anon is trying to find it himself. Hence the asking on a thread that's relevant and not a specific to anime
>>
>>54909172

Interesting, I wouldn't mind checking out some eastern europe mo...

>gyo
I dearly hope you're referring just to the manga.
>>
>>54902931
Im fairly sure it was the anti weebs from that started shitting things up. Also this is fucking 4 chan weebs are the majority here on 9 out of 10 boards and a large portion of the rest. If you dont wana accept that then keep lurking or fuck off
>>
File: Shuna no Tabi c02p022-023.jpg (429KB, 1675x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Shuna no Tabi c02p022-023.jpg
429KB, 1675x1200px
>>54909442
>Interesting, I wouldn't mind checking out some eastern europe mo...
I'm a biased judge but I seriously believe they are great, if you can swallow old movies full of only practical effects and hand-made animation.
Might be a bit difficult to get your hands on. There is a low-resolution version of some of these on Youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTQ4QYzoOJk (Fabulous world of Jules Verne)
for an example.

>I dearly hope you're referring just to the manga.
Wait, there is a non-manga adaptation of that thing?! I had no idea.
Jesus I HAVE TO SEE THAT, it must be fucking hilarious.
I know here is a real-life adapatation of Uzumaki, which is pretty bad. Unless you had the two confused, and life-action Gyo exists, that shit must be rad stupid.

Oh, and a few more things I though about.
Forgot to mention:
>Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou
Is a "calm post-apocalypse" story. There isn't much happening there, just a cute robot lady going about her daily business in dying Japan as it sunks slowly under ocean. But it has some of THE best post-apocalyptic imagery.
>Domu
Manga by Otomo - the guy who made Akira. It's about a bunch of kids who gain superpowers and turn into murderhobos. It's where he polished and cizeled his visual style and combat. It's really cool - I'd argue better than the later Akira

Also another manga:
>Shuna No Tabi
Very simple story by Miyazaki, some argue the original inspiration of both Nausicaa and Mononoke Hime came from this short picture-book/manga.
It's drop-down gorgeous mixture of apocalyse and mythological elements. I've build my ENTIRE world on the back of this thing.
Also, if you haven't read
>Nausicaa of Valley of Wind THE MANGA
If you maybe enjoyed some of Miyazakiho movies: read the manga. It's much better than the movie. Better than most of his works. It's a lot longer, darker, compicated and epic than the movie, and gets seriously weird and surreal towards the end.

I still have more! Stop me!
>>
>>54909172
>stažený soubor.jpg
no kunda
>>
>>54909709

There is a Gyo anime movie. It's... sad. Just sad.

Nausicaa manga might honestly be the greatest post-apocalypse work of art of the XX century. I'm not really sure who the competitors might be.
>>
>>54909709
Anime:
>Paranoia Agent
Really good, creepy magical-realism style story the world going crazy around a small Tokio ward. Similar to later Paprika of the same author, but much better than Paprika.

>Sky Crawlers and Angel's Egg
Two more experimental anime movies: Angel's Egg is exercise in pure surreal world-building, Sky Crawlers are more of a weird puzzle-like story about a bunch of bad-ass drinking children pilots in a weird wall. It's super slow, and they smoke a fuckton, but I loved it and though it might have make a good premise for a campaign of some sort.
>Jin-Roh
I don't LIKE this movie, but the dark busy political backstabbing plot with occasional moments of pure BAD ASS seems somehow very fitting here.
>On your mark
Short, four minutes long video by Miyazaki. Charming, about two guys on a quest to save loli-anger from an evil corporation.

>Those who hunt elves
AKA what happens when your serious DnD adventure gets taken over by four utterly moronic players, and at one point the DM just says "you know what, fuck you! Since you are such god-damn pigs, I'll just broken a spell into six pieces which were randomly imprinting in the skin of six competely random Elven girls. Good luck finding them before the universe is destroyed!"
It's stupid, but fun.

If you are even interested in some literally suggestions (somebody IS reading these, right?! Say yes! Please?

>Jorge Luis Borges and his short storries (Ficciones, usuall)
Amazingly clever stories about magical and philosphical notions. There are entire stories JUST about world-building for an example Others are deliberately created to give inspiration to starting writers. Others are unique views of little-known eras and problems. GOLDMINE for peolple who look for some more high-brow ideas.

>Historias de cronopios y de famas by Cortazar (there HAS to be an English translation of this book!)
Crazy stories, maybe a good inspirations to asks your annoying players some task from these stories from this.
>>
>>54909886
> I'm not really sure who the competitors might be.
Well, I'd say that Shuna (albeit that is a bit of cheating, as they probably both take place in the same universe).
Then I'd definitely say Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou. Chikyuu-no-Houkago I've heard to be fairly decent, but never went through watching it. Also: Evangelion, actually, is among my list of all time favorite depicitions of post-apocalipse.

I have, by the way, still quite a few moe ideas - for books mainly now, but also anime and movies and games...

I'm mostly saying more niche-stuff though which I'm not sure anyone here right now appreciates.
>>
>>54887915
>All my friends are into ASoIaF and want to intrigue up games
>I couldn't stand the first book and never continued the series passed
>All I wanna do is run Princess Bride style adventures forever
>>
>>54909886
I do have to get my hands on that animated Gyo. Though I have to say I'm dissapointed: I think it would have been much better life-acted. That shit would be OFF THE HOOK!
>>
>>54909733
>no kunda
Well, even with that lazy file name, the extensive knowledge of three major Czech cinematographers of the 60-80 should have been a dead give-away.
>>
>>54910093

Personally on that level I would just say A Canticle for Leibowitz. Yep, that manga is THAT good.

>if only he did more of this stuff instead of Howl, for example
>>
>>54910221
>Personally on that level I would just say A Canticle for Leibowitz. Yep, that manga is THAT good.
Isn't that western comic? I'm a bit confused.
>>
>>54910430
A Canticle for Leibowitz is a book, not a comic
>>
>>54887915
>>lotr trilogy
AHAHAHAHAH kys reddit fag
>>
>>54912028

Show us were PJ touched you anon
>>
File: greengrocer.jpg (17KB, 514x344px) Image search: [Google]
greengrocer.jpg
17KB, 514x344px
>>54907730
>>54908866

>mfw there is no Spoon
>>
>>54903747

I mean, if pulp/mass market entertainment isn't your thing, why are you on /tg/? That's the entire point of the board.
>>
>>54912302
very true
>>
File: 1403090229314.png (77KB, 261x350px) Image search: [Google]
1403090229314.png
77KB, 261x350px
>>54912028
>d-d-do I fit in now?
>>
>>54912028
Fuck of Moorcock, you opinions on Tolkien and Heinlein are more famous than your books.
>>
File: Three_Kingdoms_intertitle.jpg (20KB, 427x233px) Image search: [Google]
Three_Kingdoms_intertitle.jpg
20KB, 427x233px
Three Kingdoms.
>>
>>54903679
thready reminder that if you still judge things based on a notion of perceived maturity rather than their own subjective merit then you should just end it all
>>
>>54912898
I haven't even read his books, but Moorcock is a fucking immortal for the shit he did with Blue Öyster Cult if nothing else.
>>
>>54896429
>The Librarians
I've never heard anyone give anything resembling an opinion or even acknowledgment that this series was made. The movies got progressively much worse, was the show more in line with the first or last movie?
>>
I like Escaflowne for a more magitech setting.
>>
>>54913067
BOC is called the American Hawkwind for a reason.
>>
>>54888365
The redwall series, Mouse Guard series, Anything by Arthur C. Clarke, the original book of whatever recommended movie, Audey L. Murphey's Autobiography, anything by Chuck Palahniuk, and the inside of the bathroom stalls
>>
>>54890115
>listening to the radio anywhere, ever
Wew, what is this? 2005? Disgusting.
>>
>>54888900
>Muppet Treasure Island
Goddamn that hits me in the nostalgia that movie was one of my absolute favorites as a kid.
>>
File: medicine-seller-from-mononoke.jpg (63KB, 704x396px) Image search: [Google]
medicine-seller-from-mononoke.jpg
63KB, 704x396px
>>
>>54913135
Somewhere between first and second movie, but there are enough good episodes to still keep going

But it's really uneven.
>>
>>54892378
>>54892407
It's great for the visuals and the bits involving Saladdina and king butterface.

The rest is pretty cringy.
>>
>>54909061
>I never read Heart of Darkness
>I ignore reality to post interviews made 15 years after the film
Thanks for confirming being retarded, now fuck off.

>>54909172
The only reason SotS is on the list is a hefty dose of quasi-almost-celtic mythology. The film itself is unbearable. At least Secret of Kells was half-decent movie by itself.

Other than that - really, really good picks. Thanks, anon, will definitely add some of them (the ones I will be able to easily find torrents or on yourtube, that's one of criterium to get on the list as a foreign movie). Which is the chief reason why Polish Obława/Manhunt is still not on the list, despite being great case of how to make entire campaign for single player and being a good movie by itself

>>54910116
Anon, unless you live in Nowhere, Kansas, you can easily find new players, rather than being stuck with your current group.

>>54910430
Canticle is one of THE most famous post-apo work ever created. It tells a story of an abbey started by a scientist to preserve as much of knowledge as possible after atomic war and has three distinctive phases, with civilization rebuilding around for centuries.

Really, really good read, especially if you are semi-fluent in Latin/have footnotes in your copy.

>>54912930
I think that was the first title added to the Approved Television list once the page was made and filled out with initial handful of tv series.

>>54913162
Already on the list, anon.

>>54918368
A bit too mind-screwy for me due to the art-style. But content was top-notch
>>
>>54912930
Does it cover the whole story?
>>
>>54892352
I'd say Krull is pretty hard to watch nowadays, but otherwise pretty gud.
>>
>>54918767
Yep.

How else you would cover Romance if not with a TV series? Red Cliff is just a snippet out of it and it takes almost 4 hours.

>>54918792
Legendary status does wonders, anon. Fucking Highlander, the first one, is hard to watch nowdays, because not only it aged like milk, but you can see what the reviewers back in the day meant by "silly" and "nonsensical".
And it's still a legend well worth watching
>>
>>54918820
>Yep.
>How else you would cover Romance if not with a TV series?
Stop when all the original big players keel over and end with a text/narration about how Mr. Keikaku handled the rest?

I know I wasn't as invested in the exploits of the second generation of dudes.
>>
>>54918820
>Fucking Highlander, the first one, is hard to watch nowdays
Never really had that problem.
The story is basic and the swordplay pretty bad, but Queen and Clancy brown absolutely make that movie.

Krull is just shlock with nothing really standing out.
>>
>>54888365
>Discworld
>Bible
>1984
Jesus Fuck
>>
>>54918759

Anon, what makes you think exactly I didn't read it, execpt your failure at recognizing themese and knowing the shit we're talking about?

We talked much about Miyazaki here.Do you really think Diana Wynne Jones is the only source of Howl's? Really?

I did say "enjoy your embarassment" but it wasn't a suggestion.
>>
>>54918671
Honestly, just watch the Christmas episode where Bruce Campbell plays Santa Claus
>>
>>54918759
>The only reason SotS is on the list is a hefty dose of quasi-almost-celtic mythology.
First of all it's not Quasi-celtic. Second of all: also characters, absolutely amazing visuals and score. Of the two movies, Secret of Kells is better (not semi-decent, it's one of THE BEST pieces of European cinematography in decade or decades, actually) because Song of the Sea has a bit of script issue around the midpart, where the logic moving the plot forward is not only a bit arbitrary (not uncommon in fairytales) but also non-obvious (following the memory-hair justifying the flashbacks etc...)

SotC is merely "good". Song of the Sea is flat out amazing. Both are well worth watching, easily on par with most of Miyazaki's production.
>>
>>54918988
>SotC is merely "good". Song of the Sea is flat out amazing.
*SotS is merely "good". Secret of Kells is flat out amazing. Sorry about that.
>>
File: i hate thing.png (64KB, 980x455px) Image search: [Google]
i hate thing.png
64KB, 980x455px
>>54888279
>>
>>54918998
Secret of Kells is visually stunning but the pacing is bumpy and the story overall isn't as strong.
>>
>>54919162
The story is actually the strongest part of it. It's one of the very few fairytales that actually has a good point going way beyond traditional child story and basic folklore motives. Especially the ending is absolutely amazing. You very, very rarely see this kind of actual meaningful conclusions in fantastic or genre-related fiction.

It has two minor issues: similarly to SotS it does actually assume basic knowledge of Irish folklore and history (which can make some aspects of it somewhat hard-to-read to some people). And it does have a very slow start: which has it's narrative justification (makes up for better story gradation and ties in the visuals to the story - basically the real beauty of it's visuals unveils logically once Brendan begins exploring the more beautiful side of the word), but it can create a somewhat poor first impression as for about 15 minutes it looks a bit like a Cartoon Network show rather than one of the most beautiful animated movies of recent history.

Otherwise, I really don't see a problem with the story.
>>
>>54919225
>>54919162
Oh yeah, and the fucking DIVERSITY PRIESTS are kinda annoying. But the movie does make up for it by killing almost all of them off, I guess. Plus, it's not completely unwarranted, as we do actually get some anecdotical evidence of missionaries and clergy from black Africa around Italian cities around 11th and 12 centuries.
>>
>>54919225
>Especially the ending is absolutely amazing. You very, very rarely see this kind of actual meaningful conclusions in fantastic or genre-related fiction.
Uhm, it has been a ewhile since I watched it, but wasn't the endingh just essentially the notion that the beauty of the wiork they created trancends all the ugliness and horribleness going on?
I mean, it's nice but not as monumental as you make it out to be.
>>
>>54919478
>but wasn't the endingh just essentially the notion that the beauty of the wiork they created trancends all the ugliness and horribleness going on?
More or less. It's a little more complicated: it speaks about how evil can't always be defeated, how suffering and cruelty is as natural part of existence as melancholy and sorrow, and how all of this can still be worth while as long as you orient yourself towards concept of transcendental (in this case it's up to the audience to chose what exactly the transcendental object is supposed to represent: it can be viewed as faith, but it's also beauty and art and sensitivity to those, general concept of hope, mastery etc... It's very clever on the actual use of the symbols).

And yeah: it really does not get any more monumental than this. This is the most meaningful story you'll ever tell in a non-psychological format. And it's not a message common to the medium either. It really does not get much better: it's a story of Enuma Elish, among other.

Sometimes, the most basic narrative structures are the ones most meanigful and valuable, and also most frequently overlooked.
>>
The most realistic and historical representation of armor, clothes, weapons and fighting techniques, magic aside, in fiction...is probably this one.
>>
>>54919615
Just a shame the anime fanservice bullshit drags it down somewhat firce.
>>
>>54918964
Not him, but here, grab your (You)
>>
>>54918879
I'm not sure we are talking about the same here.
Romance of Three Kingdoms is too long to make a movie or even few movies out of it, when you can make a TV series out of it. As far as I remember, that's THE longest piece of epic literature in existence.

>>54918903
The story makes no sense, but for the exact reasons you've stated plus Sean Connery having time of his life and that scene with the nazi totally own it.

Krull has science fantasy. And the super-iconic glaive. Considering a lot of factors, it might be a schlock (and aged like milk), but it's still approved for hobby reasons.

>>54918964
>Get caught on being illiterate and uneducated
>Without blinking tries to turn it the other way around
>Still makes shit up on the fly to try keep face
>While using anonymous Vietnamese imageboard
It also wasn't a suggestion when you were told to get the fuck out of this thread loooooong time ago, you contrarian moron.

>>54918988
>it's one of THE BEST pieces of European cinematography in decade or decades
You must be SERIOUSLY underexposed to cinematography. As in - not watching films almost at all. Unless by cinemagrography you mean "animated features", then at least you are semi-right.
And that "bit of script issue" is exactly what makes SotS unbearable.
>>54919225
>>54919563
You know what, forget it. It's the bestest movie evah made

>>54919615
And suddenly, Bubblegum Crisis popped into my head. Thanks, anon.
>>
>>54919827
>You know what, forget it. It's the bestest movie evah made
You are one insecure motherfucker, aren't you?
>>
File: IMG_0831.jpg (20KB, 182x268px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0831.jpg
20KB, 182x268px
The void is some fantastic fuel for fiend dungeons or a call of cthulhu campaign.
>>
>>54919849
There is such saying in my country, roughtly translates into "No point kicking with a horse", meaning no point arguing with someone.

And I hardly see a reason to argue with obsessive fan.
>>
>>54919929
1) Too new
2) Impressive visuals, but random event plot kicks in hard
3) 3rd act literally collapses under the sheer weight of all the plot-holes

I was expecting much, much more considering the internet craze around it. And until the time Daniel kills what's left of Allison, the film works. Anything after that scene is pure, unfiltered crap.
If Maggie killed her grandpa before that (can't recall now the exact moment when she does), the it was the last time the plot made any sense.

Unaswered questions are great.
Too many of them and the plot will grind into a halt.

Also, it wasn't scary in the slightest. Neither due to the content nor execution.

What's really impressive here is their small-ass budget and what kind of wonders they've managed to create with that.
>>
>>54919937
And I point out that you want to accuse people of being obsessive and unreasonable without willing to actually provide a single piece of your own reasoning, you are basically announcing to the world how insecure they make you feel, but since you have no actual arguments of your own, you better attack then personally.

If you don't have anything to say, don't talk. Otherwise, you are just revealing your own vulnerability to everyone. And you had done that about four times in this thread already, by the way.
>>
>>54920025
>Writes two posts gushing about banal moral of a child story
>HURRRR YOU DON'T EVEN PROVIDE ANYTHING DURRRR
Like I've said - no point arguing with you.

If you want to gush about absolutely average story used in nice-looking, unorthodox animation, here, let me help you:
>>>/tv/
>>
File: 1458745581522.png (143KB, 800x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1458745581522.png
143KB, 800x1000px
>>54920025
Not even part of the discussion, but holy shit, anon.
>>
>>54920052
>Writes two posts gushing about banal moral of a child story
The point is that the story is not banal, which makes it remarkable for a child story. I even explain why it's not banal. I can also provide you to links with philosphers, psychologists, religionists and cognitive scientists actually taking in depth about the importance of these kinds of stories.
But that would require you actually being capable of listening or even questioning your own judgement and having any desire to do anything beyond validation your own opinion, which in this case is based very shallow reading of both the story and it's context in history of human narrative structures.

Instead, you are far more interested in calling other people names because they can appreciate something you can't. It's far easier to blame fault on others, in the end. Saves you the time of having to listen what they have to say, or the pain of being aware of own failibility.

I would not be really bothering with saying all of this if this really wasn't like the third or fourth time you lashed out at people in this very thread.

>>54920135
I'm right and he is wrong. I don't really care that you can't deal with that. The same thing still applies. If you can't make a point, don't post.
>>
File: popcorn.gif (495KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
popcorn.gif
495KB, 500x375px
>>54920157
>Still going
Guess I'll stay. Maybe the other anon will make you roll out another 2k post.
>>
File: 796.jpg (27KB, 625x626px) Image search: [Google]
796.jpg
27KB, 625x626px
>>54920157
>I'm retarded and he wisely backed off
Here, ftfy.

>>54920184
Gimme some.
>>
>>54920184
And that would be bad... how? You are clearly offended by something that I'm doing. Can you at least put into words what it is?
>>
>>54919977
It's a pretty by the book lovercraft-esque story. I thought the one nice thing about it was the character storytelling without any exposition. Revealing how the main character is a dead bear cop who aspires to be like his dad and has trouble with his ex due to a miscarriage without the use of flashbacks or characters outright stating it was well done. They almost pulled it off with the dad who hunts cultists and his son but it got kinda bogged down with them being unable to decide if he's an unhinged maniac or the only same guy who understands you can't trust anyone.
>>
>>54920157
>Calls other anon insecure
>Writes nth long-winded post about being right and everyone else not knowing anything
Oh the irony

>>54920209
Son, stop embarrasing yourself already. Seriously, what the fuck are you even trying to achieve here?
>>
>>54920239
>Oh the irony
>Son, stop embarrasing yourself already.
So... you can't.
You can't do something as incredibly simple as to state what exactly is wrong with what I said.

Considering that it makes you mad enough to consistently lash out, that seems like a bit of problem on your side.
>>
>>54920157
>I can also provide you to links with philosphers, psychologists, religionists and cognitive scientists actually taking in depth about the importance of these kinds of stories.

...Proceed
>>
>>54920229
>Revealing how the main character is a dead bear cop who aspires to be like his dad and has trouble with his ex due to a miscarriage without the use of flashbacks or characters outright stating it was well done
True

But then there is the other side of that coin. Namely:
All the bullshit regarding the cult, the void, the ritual they want to perform, and WHAT THE FUCK is going on.
By the end of the story you know shit

So a small golden star for well-handled minimalist exposition for characters (Richard still talks WAAAAAY too much, exposing everything all the time), but then a big-ass rotten salad in the face for the plot going bonkers by the time Daniel reaches the room with portal. They spend there 10 fucking minutes, all time talking and making expositions...
... and you still learn shit from it.

Not to mention the entire plot only works as long as you realise the cultist could storm the place at any moment (and especially early on, when nobody knew anything), perform their ritual right after that and be done. Instead, they stand on guard solely to provide a reason for characters to stay inside.

The Thing had fucking polar night combined with blizzard.
Here we have bunch of guys in hoods.
>>
>>54920255
Pro-tip:
There is more than one person making fun out of you.

And I'm long done with you

>>54920291
*don't realise
>>
>>54920291
Totally agree, I think the cultists were a waste since they were completely silent and only arbitrarily attacked people. They also completely dropped the fact that random people could be infected and cause monsters to burst out if them. The basement full of zombies also felt like pointless roundhouse horror, they could have had the guy slamming a pipe through his head an ended the scene there.

I think it's important Richard proselitizes the whole time, that's like a mainstay of the villain for Lovecraft fiction.
>>
>>54920229
But honestly, I could ignore the plot holes, if the plot wasn't relying entirely on my personal privy:
Extremely disfunctional group not even trying to work together.

Nothing is more annoying in horror story, especially outside the slasher sub-genre. Nothing.
>>
>>54920350
Spoilers, mate.

And I'm more talking about the fact almost all character expositions are done by him. He has almost as many lines as any other two characters together. And almost all of it is exposition about others.

Seriously, the movie should have ended with finding dying/dead/whatever she was at that point Allison and then everyone getting the fuck out of the place, burning it to the ground.

Literally everything involving __________Maggie__________ is either a plot hole or sloppy writing. Or both.
>>
>>54920263
Jordan Peterson currently provides some of the best analysis of classic mythological tales. The reflection of structures he identifies (mostly expanding on work of Jung and Elliade) corresponds to themes and symbolism in Secret of Kells to an almost uncanny level - if I did not know his lectures only became publicly available several years after this movie was made, I'd say somebody followed studies of archetypal images to a point.
His work is pretty extensive, but you'll find at least broad outlines in his analysis of the Growing Dragon fairytale:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J54FMA895OA
Dragons, Divine Powers etc... Lecture:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqONu6wDYaE
And across his lecture courses on Maps of Meaning and Bible Studies, which are all available on youtube.

Another person well worth mentioning Dan Sperber and his Explaining Culture and Rethinking Symbolism.

Elliade and his Myths, Dreams and Mysteries is a pretty damn good place to look into as well.

Finally, Borges and his analysis of persistent patterns among classic stories also applies. Ars Poetica lecture series probably analyses it most consistently, though you'll find more thoughts scattered across his essays.

Other authors you might want to look into include classic studies of mythology from people like Campbell (Mask of Gods in particular), Fraser (Golden Bough) or Levi-Strauss (Mythologica).

>>54920329
>There is more than one person making fun out of you.
I don't give a fuck if there is one idiot or more. If you can't produce a singular actual coherent point, you are all equally worthless here.
>>
>>54920504
I looked up Peterson, are we talking about JB Peterson's "Maps & Meaning" (1999) because if so, I'm surprised it wasn't on my reading list when I did my third year dissertation on folktales in 2008. He seems more of a psychologist than a literary critic though and most online coverage of him is less focused on his literary criticism than his steadfast opposition to feminism.

I don't know Sperber or Eliade but theology and anthropology are less within my wheelhouse. Borges, however, I know well and his writing is essential for any fantasy fan.
>>
>>54920688
He is a clinical and experimental psychologist with a bit of a cognitive and philosophical bent. Recently he started dabbing a lot political activism, which I wished he hadn't, but I guess it was inevitable.
When it comes to Peterson, I recommend his lectures much more than his books: the book Maps of Meaning is not exactly well written, and all of it's content - better formulated, expanded upon and updated is in his lecture courses on youtube. The most recent one (2017) has been somewhat negatively affected by his big clash with the left, causing him to go off course ranting a bit at times, so I'd say the 2016 version is the best one available.

Of the names I listed, only one (Borges) is a literary critic by trade.
Peterson is a psychologist, Sperber cognitive scientist and anthropologist, Elliade is one of the founders of modern religious studies, Campbell is a mythologist and narratologist, Fraser was essentially an ethnologist.

I'd say all of these works and authors are well worth reading for anyone interested in fanstic subject matter, though I'm not entirely sure if I can really recommend people going through the entirety of Golden Bought, while Campbell's Hero/Mask books are relatively introductory and don't quite have the nuance.

Sperber is a cognitive scientist, his work is very technical and not easy to read or understand. He has a very computational approach, and studies the mind more than the stories, but he does arrive at very similar conclusions to Peterson.
He is also author of one of the best theories of philosophy of communication - the relevance theory. Pretty influential about twenty years ago. But not recreational reading in the slightest.
>>
>>54920688
Oh, I know why Peterson never troubled any of my reading lists. Because he's self evidently a fucking moron whose lectures sound like Jaden Smith remixes of ancapball.

>unless woman is taken out of man, then she isn't a human being
>the truth puts reality behind you, so that you can face the reality that's coming straight at you
>the frontier is the edge between what you know and what you don't know
>when you know that the snake is in you, that's wisdom

let's see what literary insight he offers

>most of the adventure genre is about how there is some enemy that's lurking, and someone rises up to confront it and maintain order
>you meet the unknown with fantasy

oh also he's some kind of christian mental too
>>
>>54920823
Does a dog have Buddha nature? Mu
>>
>>54920823
>Because he's self evidently a fucking moron whose lectures sound like Jaden Smith remixes of ancapball.
Oh dear that is quite fucking amazing. You really go all out on the "I'm just going to prove how insecure I am".

Where exactly are you getting these claims?

>oh also he's some kind of christian mental too
Jesus you really go all out on this shit... You actually may have a very serious mental health issue.
>>
>>54920856
I quoted the man's own words, from his lectures, to demonstrate their banality.

I don't really care that you can't deal with that. The same thing still applies. If you can't make a point, don't post.
>>
>>54921039
>I quoted the man's own words, from his lectures, to demonstrate their banality.
Really? Can you list the lectures and at least rough time stamp. Because I'm pretty sure those are paraphrased.

But you can prove me wrong, of course.

But just to give this whole situation a context.
You came across one of the most influential professors of the last few years who tackles incredibly complicated subjects combining science, mythology, literal theory and psychoanalysis and which are definitely not easy to follow:
You picked up random sentences from 2 hour long lectures which are mostly parts of series of lectures in which he gradually introduces his terminology and concepts.
I suspect you re-written them beyond recognition to make them sound even sillier because that totally proves your point.

Also, the man has a lecture series called Bible Series which is an analysis of Bible as a mythological work... better call him a Christian Mental!
All of that based on your... 15 minute exposition to his works.

And all of this: I really have to point this out... because I dared to argue that a work that you thought was not that amazing is actually more amazing than it seems.

You go out to lash out against people, call them "christian mentals" because they happen to be mentioned by someone that liked something more than you do and made a point why it deserves that praise.
That is the actual reality of what you are doing. You really, REALLY need to actually stop and consider that there might be something profoundly wrong with you.
>>
File: rel0hlow585z.jpg (42KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
rel0hlow585z.jpg
42KB, 480x480px
>>54891190
I heard a Neuromancer movie was in the works. It better be good or I'll just have to kill myself.
>>
>>54921039
>>54921196
Just fuck already.
>>
>>54919615
It's pretty accurate, sure, save for the one scene where the knight was being hoisted onto his horse with a crane. As much as I like the show, I was about to drop it permanently right when I saw that.
>>
>>54920504
>HURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
I don't give a fuck about your fanboism and wanking over absolutely average animation, and yet you've managed to get this thread to bump limit. And I wouldn't be surprised if you were the same faggot who complained about "mediocre anime list" and the "I don't believe in lists" idiot.
>>
File: m835wtY1td3k3.jpg (138KB, 579x570px) Image search: [Google]
m835wtY1td3k3.jpg
138KB, 579x570px
>>54921657
Threadly reminder they've picked 8 books of Dark Tower and turned it into 2 hour movie.

So having high hopes for anything at all is a mistake, anon. Hell, having any hopes is a mistake
Thread posts: 323
Thread images: 40

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.