[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/BGG/ Board Game General - Still some TI4 hype edition Previous

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 315
Thread images: 41

File: bgg.jpg (724KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
bgg.jpg
724KB, 1000x1000px
/BGG/ Board Game General - Still some TI4 hype edition

Previous thread:
>>54819371

Who here owns TI3 and will buy TI4? Anyone who never played TI3 but plans to buy TI4 to finally get in on the whole thing?

If TI is the king of ameritrash, what's the king of eurogames?

What other 2017 release are you looking forward to?
>>
>>54858388
>Anyone who never played TI3 but plans to buy TI4 to finally get in on the whole thing?
I think this is gonna be me.

>If TI is the king of ameritrash, what's the king of eurogames?
Catan?

>What other 2017 release are you looking forward to?
Can't think of anything right now.
>>
>>54858388
>>54858468
Me too. Never had the chance to play TI3, but the hype is getting me. I was somewhat interested in it before the announcement, a new edition will likely be the tipping point
>>
>>54858388
worst OP ever
>>
>>54858741
Nah there have been some anime ones. Pure cancer.
>>
File: 24.jpg (9KB, 300x100px) Image search: [Google]
24.jpg
9KB, 300x100px
>>54858836
>abloo bloo bloo i hate anime
>>
>>54858880
Let me hate anime. Nothing wrong with that. You can keep hating pink girly font.
>>
>>54858903
>Don't give in to hate. That leads to the STEEV side
Seriously if you're going to be hating and playing board games maybe learn to stitch a flesh wound first
>>
>>54858388
>Anyone who never played TI3 but plans to buy TI4 to finally get in on the whole thing?
Probably not.

Probably some Uwe Rosenberg game? Terra Mystica maybe? That said my favourite euro is Dominant Species.

>What other 2017 releases are you looking forward to?
Pendragon
Welcome to Centerville

Don't think GMT are printing any others that I want off their P500 this year.

On a completely different note, I got to try Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective this weekend, one case with five players, and another with four. It was pretty fun, sort of reminded me of the old "choose-your-own-adventure" type books.
>>
How does one get better at terra mystica without embarrassing one self?
>>
>>54858388
I have never played TI but if I get enough people on board I will pick up TI4.

I imagine that Agricola or Terra Mystica would be the king of euro games.

I am probably going to look forward to the Kingdom Death Gambler's Chest the most because I already pledged my left nut for it.
>>
I may be alone here but I fucking hate terra mystica and all the hype it gets. I own it and can confirm and why the fuck.is it still on the side bar on.board game geek
>>
>>54858388
>Who here owns TI3 and will buy TI4?
Technically don't own it - "my" copy belongs to a friend who joined the navy last year, who I gave it to for christmas a few years before that, but it ended up mostly staying at my place for obvious reasons.

>>54858962
>learn to stitch a flesh wound
An important skill for interesting people and interesting lifestyles.
>>
File: CVNyPKWUsAEcSa2.jpg (34KB, 540x304px) Image search: [Google]
CVNyPKWUsAEcSa2.jpg
34KB, 540x304px
>>54858388
Need advice /tg/.

>Playing Descent: Sea of Blood expansion.
>Be OL. The Count, specifically.
>Chose the Dark Queen as my plot, because fuck sunlight lassers I'm a goddamn vampire, and fuck getting eaten by the sealed evil an a can if I "Win"
>Opening conqest buy is Bloodsuckers, now my razorwings have leech and ironskin.
>I have A New Law, Lawlessness + Asleep at the Wheel, and the Siren.
>Heros have gained 41 conquest to my 32
>They are Lindall, who is rocking Born to the Bow and Backbiter, Mad Carthas with Inner Fire and Immolate, as well as pacify, just in case. Spirt Seeker Mot with a staff that inflicts burn, and One Fist, with Belt of Giants str. and the skill that lets him spend two fatuige to get two attacks with an advance action
>So yeah, they've got a ranged heavy party, and I'm having a hell of a time getting anything in the tiny campaign dungeons to last long enough to get attacks in at all.
>One Fist has got chainmail, so I can barely hurt him atm.
>My current growth scheme was going to advance my beasts to gold and only my beasts, get all LT's (ghost ship, kraken and void) one monster trechery two each of traps and events, focused, corupting bite, energy drain, two dark powers, peace talks, and the Dark Queen. Maybe the extra taxes one if I'm coming out a bit ahead.
>Dosen't look like I will.

Should I drop Ghost Ship or Void for an upgrade to eldritch so my skellies, sorcs and Preists can hit just a bit harder? Luckily for me, they've completly ignored One Fists suggestion to go get him the Shark Tatoo, so they fought the Siren three times, and had to run away from her twice.
>>
File: spheres of influence.jpg (15KB, 246x246px) Image search: [Google]
spheres of influence.jpg
15KB, 246x246px
Has anyone here played pic related?
>>
>>54858836
At least they had decent topic questions.
>>
>>54858388

Putting serious thought into getting TI4, but only if it plays faster. I've never played TI3, and the thing that specifically prevented me from going for it was knowing that it takes forever. My gaming group doesn't have enough patience for Eldritch Horror, let alone TI.
>>
File: dow-comic-cover.jpg (722KB, 1200x1846px) Image search: [Google]
dow-comic-cover.jpg
722KB, 1200x1846px
Dead of Winter has a comic book now.

The tone and art style are incongruously light considering the subject matter, making the comic really rather weak. It doesn't really do anything particularly wrong, it just sort of passively fails to do anything particularly desirable.
>>
>>54861596
>It doesn't really do anything particularly wrong, it just sort of passively fails to do anything particularly desirable.

I image it would be hard to do much when the characters are all based on a characters in a board game. Doesn't allow for much 'story progression'. Just sounds kind of sad when one thinks about it.
>>
File: Not as many as you'd think.png (3MB, 1331x2311px) Image search: [Google]
Not as many as you'd think.png
3MB, 1331x2311px
We still wagglin'?
>>
>>54863444
Also,
>>
>>54863176

So far the story is that the Dog, the Fireman character and some new character (Ruckus Burley, White Trash) rescue a black family from some zombies, come back to the colony, then go out foraging for supplies with the Lawyer character and the Police Dispatcher character, before some unseen person blows up their car with a grenade. The Police Dispatcher and the Dog get thrown pretty far by the explosion, and are found by the Mall Santa.

That's the end of the first issue. Fuck if I know where they're going with this.
>>
>>54859684
>An important skill for interesting people and interesting lifestyles.
No joke, being able to stitch up wounds was almost as helpful as learning how to turn a single tube sock into a sling when someone breaks an arm. Now knowing how to remove blood from printed material is slightly more useful but sadly never mastered that...... still miss that copy of The Resistance
>>
>>54863959
>muh stitching wounds
You kids are funny.

Just use duct tape or super glue. That's what it was originally made for.
>>
>>54861596
You are talking about a game featuring your pic related, a super smart lab monkey from a futuristic spooky evil science lab, plasma guns, ninjas, pirates and who knows what the fuck else.
I think they went with the Blizzard style of 2let's put some funny shit in our super serious game", but they miserably failed at making it a coherent whole because they are not Blizzard.

Gotta say, first Dead of Winter then Ashes made me lose a lot of faith in PHG as designers. Now they got this Crystal Clans thing coming out, whihc looks kinda like a spiritual successor to Summoner Wars... I don't know if I will try it.
>>
>>54858388
reminds that adam poots said he will never visit 4chan again after you racists mowed down innocent antifa.
>>
>>54858388
Holee shit I was in the thread a week ago asking STEEV for TI3 advice. Was about to buy it this week until I saw the announcement.

Guess I'll wait another few months to pick up TI 4 instead - but holy shit that price! It's going to be $220 AUD minimum at my FLGS. Either that or buy TI3 for $130 AUD.
>>
>>54864212
If you've got a friend coming to Murrica try getting him to bring it through customs for you.
>>
>>54864086
The wife once made me go to the ER after slicing my thumb open in the kitchen, the doc agreed that I could've duct taped it. That said the stitches leak less, and super glue always results in my fingers losing more skin
>>
>>54864086
That;s a stop-gap, not a permanent solution.
>>
>>54864232
>The wife (male) made me (cuck) go the ER

FTFY
>>
File: boardgamesdotpng.png (5MB, 1545x2903px) Image search: [Google]
boardgamesdotpng.png
5MB, 1545x2903px
>>54863444
sure, why not
>>
>>54864222
>Having friends
Does my mum count?
>>
File: 1501678447678.jpg (78KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
1501678447678.jpg
78KB, 1024x576px
>>54864526
He said friends, not girlfriend.
>>
>>54858388
I'll probably buy TI4. My greatest fear with TI3 was that they'd announce a new edition the day after I bought it. That seems unlikely now.

Agricola/Caverna would probably be king of Euros if people could reach a consensus on which was better, as it stands I'd say Carcassonne reigns supreme.

>>54854311
>Forbidden Stars
>Fairy Tale
>Merchants and Marauders
>Can you tell me more about these three?

Sorry, didn't get to answer this before the thread died. What do you want to know?
>>
>>54864658
>Agricola/Caverna would probably be king of Euros if people could reach a consensus on which was better
The consensus on /bgg/ is that Agricola is a far, far superior game to Caverna, that it will stand the test of time as Caverna is quickly forgotten.
The consensus on BGG is more even-handed, but the consensus on BGG is also that Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever made.
>>
File: IMG_1438.jpg (33KB, 384x384px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1438.jpg
33KB, 384x384px
>>54864719
>consensus
>4chan
>>
File: IMG_4211.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px)
IMG_4211.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
Help me /tg/ what kind of traditional board game is this
>>
>>54865320
I haven't seen a single person defend Caverna on /bgg/.
>>54865332
ᵐᵘᵐᵇᶫᵉᵗʸᵖᵉᵍ
>>
>>54865332
Looks like cribbage maybe?
>>
File: file.jpg (59KB, 800x445px) Image search: [Google]
file.jpg
59KB, 800x445px
>>54865332
cribbage
>>
>>54865345
>I haven't seen a single person defend Caverna on /bgg/.
Then you're fairly blind. We've had serious contention over that shit.
>>
>>54865345
Lucky you, we've had several threads full of shitposting about it; mostly due to one or two autists who instead of making rational points about why they prefer Agricola just call everyone else names and act like their opinion=fact.
>>
>>54865402
You have never in your life seen anyone defend Caverna on this board or any other.
>>
>>54858388
Probably Puerto Rico.
>>
Can I get an honest Pro/Con of agricola vs caverna? Which is the better game for 2 people? Which has the lesser turn downtime?
>>
>>54865459
>Which is the better game for 2 people?
Agricola has a dedicated 2p version.
>>
>>54865459
Agricola has a set of special rules for 2p. Caverna you simply use a specific side of the boards and play the game like normal. I wouldn't say either is better.

In terms of turn downtime, about the same.

Agricola has a sort of randomly assigned secret 'objective' cards that can heavily guide your strategy. In Caverna nothing is hidden and you have to wholly come up with your strategy yourself.

Agricola is a vague psuedo medieval european farming sim. Carverna is DORF FORTRESS minus invasions.

Agricola is about feeding your people (and is a pretty big pain in the ass about that) and then trying to get victory points on the side. Caverna is about developing your area for points with feeding people on the side.

I like Caverna more and think it's a more fun game.
>>
>>54865459
>>54865495
I played 2p Agricola and I found something lacking. I can't really say more, but at the end I was like, is this all there is?

I mean it just seems you don't get very far and I was surprised because the long time player and my score were not that different.

I'd play again, sure, but I keep thinking: shouldn't there be something more?

Never played Caverna so can't help you there.
>>
>>54865611
>I played 2p Agricola and I found something lacking. I can't really say more, but at the end I was like, is this all there is?
Because a huge part of the game is other players fucking you, and with only one player fucking you you might as well play a dedicated 2p game like Chess or Go or Raptor or Duke or TS.
>>
I had a short conversation about TI4 with a friend at the meetup tonight. We both came to the conclusion that 4Xs don't really have an audience in our group, which is kind of sad but it's just how it is. Not getting it, but if I have the occasion to try it I'll give it a whirl.
>>
>>54865459
Don't be an idiot and believe people that say Agricola is good to play with your significant other to get them into board games.
Fuck you BGG
>>
>>54844317
>>54844337
in my defense, all those catans and munchkin were the first games I bought and I've had them for about 10 years. yeah, munchkin is total garbage but I owe catan for getting me into board games in the first place, even if I never play or even want to play it anymore.

machi koro is pretty fun, and I think the expansions improve it greatly.

>nobody told me to throw out the home improvement board game
>>
Games like Chaos in the Old World? So I don't have to shoot myself for never being able to play it now that it's gone.
>>
What board game would you guys suggest if this is the current pool my group likes to play?

>Catan
>Boss Monster
>Carcassonne
>Cosmic Encounters
>Codenames
>Blood Rage
>Arkham Horror
>Articulate
>Splendour
>Android: Netrunner

We normally have at least 5-6 people, so a lot of the smaller games don't get trotted out much. I'm looking to expand my collection, so any recommendations would be super.
>>
>>54866623
Kemet sounds like a good fit.
>>
>>54866623
have two three player games going

I bring what I want to play and if they don't want to play what I bring I play what they brought.

But if you're not going to get more games why ask?
>>
>>54866623
Find a new group?
>>
>>54866608
Cthulhu Wars
>>
>>54866608
Kemet is a good replacement, and is actually a better game at every player count except 4 which is where CitOW shines.
>>
>>54866664
I'm not sure what you're saying here? I am going to get more games, I'm just looking more for games that can accommodate 5-6 players.
>>
>>54866623
Kemet, Chicago Express, Letters from Whitechapel, Exodus: Proxima Centauri, Zimby Mojo

>>54866664
>I'm looking to expand my collection
I understand that reading comprehension is an ability that not all people are capable of, but come on
>>
>>54866623
>Boss Monster

What's the deal with Boss Monster anyway? I can't really ever get into it.
>>
>>54866623
your group is trash
>>
>>54866710
six:
7 wonders

five:
roll for the galaxy (or race if you like more complex)

everything else I'd recommend bogs down at 5 and I'd always rather play with 4.
>>
>>54863643
> rescue a black family from some zombies

Really? Zombie godamn apocolypse and you think people are going to give two shits about some random niggers. Nope. First thing out the window will be this fake virtue signalling morality nonsense.

>Police Dispatcher and the Dog get thrown pretty far by the explosion

Mall Santa better get ready to be wrecked cause those two are zombies.
>>
>>54866723
It's garbage
>>
File: removecommunists.jpg (691KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
removecommunists.jpg
691KB, 1024x768px
>>54858388
I'm starting to get into GMT style games. I've got Labyrinth and 1989 Dawn of Freedom.

Last night I ran myself through the 2-player walkthrough in Labyrinth and it seems like an awesome fucking game can't wait to play it for real.

Does anybody recommend another GMT title? I was either going to get A Distant Plain (COIN series) Making of a President Nixon v Kennedy or just get Phantom Leader because it looks awesome.
>>
File: cave_v_cave_web.jpg (212KB, 790x790px) Image search: [Google]
cave_v_cave_web.jpg
212KB, 790x790px
>>54865495
>Agricola has a dedicated 2p version.
So does Caverna, pic related.
>>
Trying to build a gaming table from scratch
Any tips regarding how to add...
>LED's
>Bluetooth speakers
>cup holders
>>
Anyone played Runewars? Looks like a better Twilight Imperium in a way ( mainly because FUCK dice)
>>
>>54867760
Triumph & Tragedy
Falling Sky
Dominant Species
Twilight Struggle
Andean Abyss
Pax Baltica (think this one is out of print though?)
>>
>>54865925
Bad experience? Because that's why I asked, I want a heavier euro style game that is indirectly competitive that I can play small and personally with my GF, but also is able to expand up to my normal game group (6 or so people).
>>
>>54868092
Not him but Agricola can be played rather cutthroat and you get hit with a barrage of negative points if someone fucks your feeding plan up. I've seen from personal experience (also with Agricola) that a lot of girls can't handle a game where you can lose things or end up worse than you were before, with all your plans shat all over.
>>
Is Cthulhu War any good? I already have CitOW will in be a simple biss repetita?
>>
>>54868517
Repetita.
>>
>>54868517
>>54868530

But dem minis tho. Also,the Cthulhu Mythos seem to appeal to more people than GW's Chaos Powers lore.
>>
>>54868517
it's different, but probably not worth $200-$750 different unless you're a massive Cthulhu-meme fan.
>>
>>54868568
Ok but when i look at the expansions do they add a lot to the game? Does the maps add to the game.
I m not a plastic fan minis it could be tokens for all i care.
>>
>>54858388
>Who here owns TI3 and will buy TI4? Anyone who never played TI3 but plans to buy TI4 to finally get in on the whole thing?
me probably
kemet reprint
>>
What's Twilight Imperium and why do I have the urge to pre order it
>>
>>54868734
see
>>54851930
This was true of all previous editions but a glance at TI4 suggests that it may have exactly as many bits as it needs.
>>
>>54858388
Me. I only own the base game and got it too late to get the expansions. The plus side is that every copy of TI4 seems to come with the most important features of the expansions such as lots of potential races, flagships, extra tiles. The downside is I feel bad for anyone who doesn't want to pay the steep price point for that, but it's justification for me to get it at least.
Most of what I wanted this year came out already. That is to say, most of my year has been eagerly awaiting Millennium Blades Set Rotation and Xia: Embers of a Forsaken Star. I tend to only be in the know about expansions because it's an update for a game I already know I like. The only other game I can say has my attention right now is Photosynthesis, but that's pretty much it.
>>
>>54866723
80's platformers art
>>
And good mecha inspired games?
>>
>>54868864
>And good mecha inspired
No.
>>
>no retail Dark Souls expansions until next year
Should have backed it, I need more.
>>
>>54869131
even people who backed are still gonna have to wait just as long. though rumors suggest expansions will release at Q4 of this year
>>
>>54869131
Good, I made all my money back selling my kickstarter copy early and I want to make even more money selling the stretch goals.
>>
>>54869347
I intend to do the same with KD:M desu.
>>
>>54869347
>>54869357
is it profitable?
>>
>>54869378
>I made all my money back selling my kickstarter copy early
You tell me.
>>
>>54869378
Made $30 more than I paid for the entire thing so far. Any money I make off the expansions is just more profit. It's why I'm not worried at all about backing Rising Sun if that also turns out to be really mediocre. But I genuinely liked Blood Rage and the looks of Rising Sun based off the rules so far.
>>
>>54869384
>>54869420
I mean do you do this to get an extra buck?
>>
>>54869498
No, I do it because I decided I'd rather have the money after the refund period passed.
>>
>>54869498
I had some hope for the Dark Souls boardgame, but when the KS was going they didn't reveal the dungeon crawling rules and when they DID reveal them, they sounded incredibly unfun. And then reviews came out that basically said they were incredibly unfun. And that it also consumed like 2/3rds of the game time. Decided to sell it when I saw I could get more than I paid. I fully plan to keep Rising Sun if it turns out good.
>>
>>54869498
>>54869510
>>54869420
there is a dark souls card game coming out as well.
>>
>>54869570
Who cares? The board game was meh as hell.
>>
>>54869570
>>54869582
it's 35 and up to 4 players
sounds suspiciously low price
>>
Finally played Game of Thrones with correct rules and when you play it right it's actually fun.

First time I played it the retard owner explained so many things wrong it was ridiculous. Moreover, there were at least two players that didn't cared about playing.

Still, I think some minor changes to Greyjoys, Baratheons and maybe Lannisters would improve the overall balance.
>>
>>54858388
I have TI3 with all expansion and I'm pretty sure I will preorder TI4 because I know I will cave in and buy it some day anyway and because I actually play TI3 regulary too.
>>
>>54867760
I always wanted to play Churchill. Triumph and Strategy also seems nice. On the "I'd really like to play but that's never going to hit the table" is Here I Stand or Virgin Queen.
>>
>>54858388
why would anyone want to buy TI4 ? Its loooong hard to teach and the game is over for half the players in the middle of it. Why this game gets so much hype when it is so hard and boring to play ?
>>
>>54868864
Ogre?
>>
File: gloomhaven-minis.jpg (96KB, 500x192px) Image search: [Google]
gloomhaven-minis.jpg
96KB, 500x192px
So I took another look at Gloomhaven... Well shit.

I love the card driven playthough, that you the deck driven AI monsters, how everything works together - it's awesome.

I kind of missed the fact that it's a legacy game. Which really sucks. If I'd bought it I'd probably play it most often with my gf and with friends from time to time. Which means 2 groups which means that legacy aspect isn't really my cuppa.

And not only it's a legacy game I'm not really sold on the "retire your character" mechanic. One of the best things about RPGs is making your character into a demigod. It kind of seems like you're penalized for completing your goals.

Are those problems really problems? Or does it work out in the end?
>>
>>54870328
Because not everyone's game groups are composed of simpletons who give up at the drop of a hat like you. It's not that hard to teach, and it's not that hard to win from behind in. Seriously, lots of TI3 games are won by people well behind the leader, because they aren't getting pressured and are setting up to score multiple objectives in one turn. It's such a commonality that the fan-made Shattered Ascension mod actually had to add some incentives to being in first place.
>>
>>54870429
Nope - best things about RPG is ROLE PLAYING FFS - so it is nothing more rewarding than seeing your character achieving his goal instead dying when you are fed up with him.

Also - it's legacy but people can pop in and out of it - it's important to have 2 characters and rest can go in and out.
>>
>>54870796
> Nope - best things about RPG is ROLE PLAYING FFS - so it is nothing more rewarding than seeing your character achieving his goal instead dying when you are fed up with him.

Well to each his own - I'd prefer guiding one character through the entire game instead of don't know how many...

> Also - it's legacy but people can pop in and out of it - it's important to have 2 characters and rest can go in and out.

Not gonna fly - I'll probably be the only one playing with both groups of people.

Bummer, guess the game isn't for me then.
>>
>>54868734
Hype train choo choo
>>
>>54869687
>the retard owner explained so many things wrong

That guy is in my group. Always, always gets core mechanics absolutely wrong. I can't tell you how many times I've been mid game going "this can't be right" but it's so fundamentally wrong by that time you can't ask everyone to just trash their strategies or redeal. I try to avoid his table without being socially autist about it but it does just suck when someone always gets the rules wrong and yet there isn't time to just sit and cover to cover the rule book.
>>
>>54870429
>it's a legacy game
What does mean please
>>
>Clans of Caldonia is a Terra Mystica killer.
>-Rahdo runs through

Buckle up kids
>>
>>54871724
Decisions made in one game permanently (usually) impact later games played, via destroying cards, writing on the map, and more.
>>
>>54871724
What:
>>54871853
said.

The lack of re-playability and the possibility of playing with two groups on such a highly priced game makes it a no go for me. And I was really hyped about it.
>>
>>54859519
What do you hate about it?
>>
>>54871978
I hope that developers eventually move to a re-usable legacy format. It's really not that hard.
>>
>>54864658
I was wondering how they all played, what you liked/didn't like about them, and if you think they were worth buying
>>
>>54868864
I FUCKING WISH. I saw a kickstarter for Aegis that I'm gonna try late backing. Also look up arsenal arena combat, I've thought about getting it but I haven't had a chance yet
>>
>>54870429
>I kind of missed the fact that it's a legacy game.

It's not. Physical component change is only used for a few things
- Keeping track of quest progress: This can be ignored entirely or is easily tracked on a downloadable sheet off Boardgamegeek.
- Keeping track of town prosperity: Even more ignorable. It just dictates what items are available in the store and the maximum starting level for new characters.
- Upgrading character cards with stickers. This is, unfortunately, unavoidable unless you use card sleeves. Alternatively, you can mark on your character sheet which stickers are "active". However, we played an entire campaign and placed maybe four stickers on cards -- they are incredibly expensive compared to just buying items and they serve little purpose during the campaign where you're unlikely to roll the same class twice.

tldr; As long as you download a sheet to keep track of campaign and prosperity progress, running multiple groups is piss easy. The only thing shared between your games will be the city and road event decks which is inconsequential.
>>
>>54872190
>>54868864
Arsenal does some neat stuff, but I think it's still more random than it needs to be. I still have pretty high hopes for Giga-Robo, despite its being a lot deeper into weeb trash territory thematically. It still has you chucking a lot of dice, but its got more mitigation elements, doesn't have a draw deck of cards to screw you over, and a fairly ridiculous amount of customization and environment interaction.
>>
>>54872280
Giga robo is another one I'm looking into. I missed the kickstarter but I'll wait for reviews to come out for it
>>
Any good 2 player games that come in a small box? I have limited space and a limited group of friends.
>>
>>54872382

Hive Pocket
>>
>>54872404
Thank you, good sir.
>>
>>54872458
Sellswords and Pixel Tactics.
>>
File: horrorible.gif (736KB, 245x250px) Image search: [Google]
horrorible.gif
736KB, 245x250px
>>54871853
>>54871978
why would you do that

I mean I knew what it was, but I didn't know what it was called. Kind of like sounding. I mean you know, but somehow it's more horrifying with a name.
>>
>>54872488
"wow it's so weeeeird and liberating to be DESTROYING your own stuff!"
"it makes your decisions really feel like they have a weight!"
They do it because then they can sell you replacement parts, or even a whole new copy.
>>
>>54872382
harbor

I mean it looks simplistic but it's just minimalist
>>
>>54872488
The thrill of having components being permanently destroyed or altered based on your decisions really floats a lot of folks' boats. Just see the number one game on BGG.

Personally I am not in love with the concept and much prefer something like Arkham Horror LCG. All the campaign play with none of the component destruction.

I might also add that the legacy components in Gloomhaven are minimal, and the developer even promoted a set of 3rd party vinyl removable stickers.
>>
>>54872382
Jaipur, Targi, Kahuna, Odin's Ravens, Piñata, Death Angel, Lost Cities, Helionox, Star Realms, Epic, Mr Jack Pocket.
>>
>>54872067
You can buy removable stickers for Gloomhaven.
>>
>>54872488

You'd be surprised at how much fun it is. Well I only played Risk Legacy but knowing that some of actions are final really spice things up.

I mean, in any game you could try a few things and if they dont pay off you think "welp, I'll do better next game", in a legacy game, that thing you try might trigger something you cant take back. "alright now this part of europe is a radiated wasteland... We cant go back" "you mean for the rest of this game ?" "No, we cant go back ever. It's gone, hand me the -fucking nuked to oblivion- stickers".

And the game isnt broken, really, you can play it again and again even after the campaign is done, except not it's a fucking mess and it's your fault.
>>
>>54872525
>>54872535
>>54872718
what could possilby go wrong?
>>
>>54872382
Raptor is our favorite 2-player game. Incredibly fun.
>>
>>54872382
Blokus
>>
File: collection.jpg (236KB, 1307x411px) Image search: [Google]
collection.jpg
236KB, 1307x411px
>>54863444
>>54863458
>>54864472
I want to keep buying games but it's almost pointless since I don't have anyone to play them with (everything boxed in red is still unplayed). The nearest FLGS is an hour away so that's not a viable option.

Since I'm a masochist, what games would you recommend I get next?
>>
>>54873392
Mage Knight is a great solo game. Crack that shiz open, senpai.
>>
>>54873392
Get a gf and play and then we held hands
>>
>>54868517
It's pretty good. Lots of different items to shake the game up in different ways. Of course, if you're not going to have at least 3 other players on the regular, the value drops off. I do recommend it though, should you have the spare cash to get some expansion materials with the core game.
>>
>>54873392
Have you tried meetup? It might cost you to throw something out is there isn't something already locally but it's less than another game and I've had good results. My group meets at local library but fire houses and other places have free community rooms.
>>
>>54873712
I've been meaning to break open mate knight for a solo run, I just need to sit down and learn it

>>54873770
I just got that one and we haven't had a chance to play it yet
>>
>>54873770
>tfw you want to pick up a hooker, but just to game with
>>
File: cover.png (707KB, 960x370px) Image search: [Google]
cover.png
707KB, 960x370px
thoughts?
>>
>>54874204
Cool semi-narrative element.
Location decks are a neat if not entirely unique idea.
Traitor element is not well implemented, which lets the whole thing down.
>>
>>54874204
It's very fun until you realize that the traitor mechanics are completely broken.
>>
>>54874386
>>54875147
What's wrong with the traitor mechanics?
>>
>>54875210
The traitor is capable of ending the game at pretty much any time.
>>
>>54875210
So, the thing that makes a traitor in a game like this fun is, really, the hunt for them. The traitor trying to do as much as he can to sink the other players, trying to do enough to win but not so much that he gets caught, while the other players try and rut him out - there's evidence right in front of them that SOMEONE must be a traitor, and they're desperate to figure it out.

Dead of Winter doesn't deliver very well on this for two reasons. First, any kind of significant sabotage is pretty easy to root out. The cards you contribute to a crisis are mostly marked by their origin, which means to have any hope at all of disguising what you're doing you need to be looting the same locations as someone else, and if the people at the table are paying attention to how many cards each of you is pulling out of the sispicious location and how many you're using, it's very very difficult to remain undetected while being an active saboteur.

But that doesn't mess up the balance too much because the damn traitor doesn't usually NEED to be an active saboteur. Enough stuff usually goes wrong all on it's own that the traitor can just passively be a little less helpful than he might have the opporunity to be, perfectly explainable via the RNG of card draw, and wait until the colony's morale is low enough that he can just kick over the whole table on a single turn and end it without any real opportunity for response from the other players.

The result is not very satisfying for either party.
>>
So this past weekend we played Barenpark and Potion Explosion.

Both games are very simple but fun nonetheless. Although the insert for Barenpark is a fucking mess.
>>
>>54875331
Did you houserule it?
>>
>>54875462
>Barenpark insert
The idea to make it a 3 piece Tetris puzzle that doesn't hold the pieces was a fuckwit idea, but do you expect any better from Mayfair?
>>
>>54875495
The obvious solution would be something akin to BSG's random extra included card in the crisis pool, but haven't gotten it to the table in a while to test that out.
>>
>>54866334
>>nobody told me to throw out the home improvement board game
To be fair, you can get the occasional 90's licensed board game that isn't the /tg/ equivalent of shovelware - Flip The Table is great for that.
>>54874204
I wish I knew why everyone in my gaming group loves this
>>
Might be a dumb question but are there game specific forums on board game geek? If so where are they?
>>
>>54876506
Look up the game in question on BGG, open that game's page, and then click on the forums tab below the black box of general info of the game.
>>
File: why are they so stupid.gif (83KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
why are they so stupid.gif
83KB, 720x720px
>>54876590
welp that was totally obvious thanks
>>
>Be the one person in the group with enough disposable income to buy lots of games
>Have Eclipse
>Group enjoys Eclipse
>TI4 info comes out
>Group gets psyched for the new edition though no one has ever played
>Interest in Eclipse dwindles
>Get asked if I'm going to buy it

I'm interested, but when the MAPPs started happening, I decided I wouldn't buy from any company that had those sort of policies. And it's getting harder every year with more and more companies joining the MAPP brigade.

Sorry group, but I'm never going to buy TI4 even though I want it. I might buy it second hand eventually.
>>
>>54877521
What about putting the exact amount you would pay for the game wihtout the MAPP shit and let everyone else pitch in for the rest?
>>
>>54877593
He's being an idealist about it, so he's not going to accept a solution that gives money to the people doing the thing he doesn't like without at least two middlemen to dilute the increased demand.
>>
>>54877593
>>54877666
Yup

Everyone always says to 'vote with your dollars' and this time I'm going to stick with it.
>>
>>54876637
Don't feel too bad. Their layout is much less intuitive since they changed it.
>>
>>54875555

Right now I'm not sure I see how that helps.

Not being a dick, I just dont get it.
(I dislike the game for other reasons to be quite honest)
>>
Surprising absolutely no one, KD:M has been delayed to end of September. Fuck sakes Poots, I wanted to play KD:M before Gloomhaven arrives.
>>
>>54878162
It helps because odds are decent that a randomly included card would also be the wrong type included, same as a deliberate sabotage, and would help confuse the good guys. It's effectively just a smokescreen for player-caused sabotage.
>>
>>54878173
Same here. Hopefully the shipping cost doesn't go up with the changes.
>>
>>54878151
The top panel buttons are a fucking mess (and not having community wiki near the top is a huge mistake) but it's a lot more facebook friendly than the old 1990s era site. Still wish they'd bring back page customization, and if they remove it from the front page they're retarded.
>>
>>54878193

Yeah, but reading STEEV's post it seems one of the issues is that the traitor has it way too easy because the odds are already heavily stacked against the other players, isnt making him harder to spot just making things even worse ?
>>
>>54878213
Fuck, I totally forgot that shipping was not included.

Oh well, I'll have to play more vidya to keep my mind off of it.
>>
>>54878252
Yeah, that's the other half of the problem. It's not like the game ALWAYS gets close enough for the traitor to bomb morale to 0 in one turn, but it happens enough that waiting for such an opportunity is less risky than risking exposure by trying more than the faintest hint of sabotage earlier.

But yeah, such a houserule would need to be accompanied by some increase in the colony's starting morale, probably. Not sure how much.
>>
>tfw can't make game group tonight

feels bad man
>>
>>54878468
Does the Long Night change this at all?
>>
>>54878616
Haven't played yet, but I know they fixed up the initiative system so that if the traitor waits until he's last player in a round (and about to be first player next round) he can't just get in two back-to-back turns of blatant fuckery without the colony getting a chance to kick him out, but I think that's it.
Definitely a step in the right direction.
>>
>>54878593
>ask 2 of my friends to come for game night
>they say yes
>they find one of the usuals can't make it
>"no anon, in 3 just sucks. let's call another friend and get a beer"
>other friend is on holiday
>"well anon, seems like we'll see each other another day"

do I still have friends?
>>
File: 1419206775544.gif (47KB, 306x469px)
1419206775544.gif
47KB, 306x469px
>>54878827
damn son
>>
>>54872382
Pixel Tactics
NOIR

>>54873392
any co-op game can be played solo with using multiple characters, I'm not particularly big on solo but out of my collection, Merchants & Marauders (unofficial solo variant on BGG), DungeonQuest and Zimby Mojo are great for solo play, I still need to try the Shadowtitan unofficial variant for Titan. there's plenty of wargames that have solo modes or are purely solo, one that I've heard about that's supposed to be really good is Agricola, Master of Britain (completely unrelated to Agricola)
>>
>>54873392
>>54873712
let me know if you liked mage knight
it's on my wishlist
>>
>>54876139
I got it for Christmas when I was in grade school because home improvement was my favorite show
>>
>>54878151
Implying it was ever intuitive.
Man, BGG's layout and style looks like they designed it as a 90's AOL website.
>>
File: 1501460123581.gif (417KB, 128x170px) Image search: [Google]
1501460123581.gif
417KB, 128x170px
>>54869687
The game falls flat on it arse unless the entire group is enjoying it collectively.
One bad / uninterested player throws the balance of the game off.

>>54871681
At least he 'tried' to read the rules - I've had a few where the owner never even read the rules beforehand while 5 other people are sitting around looking awkward while he reads furiously through the book.
>>
File: images (9).jpg (38KB, 718x205px) Image search: [Google]
images (9).jpg
38KB, 718x205px
Asking again. Thoughts on runewars? Is it a fantasy TI3? Are there any other games like it? Is the expasion necessary?
>>
>>54858388
Hi Anons, about to play diplomacy for the first time, I will be France, any tips?

I will. TI3 is probably my favorite board game. I suppose I don't really need TI4 but fuck it. Im glad the additions from the expansions will be in vanilla it seems
>>
File: Diplomacy Map.png (17KB, 612x398px) Image search: [Google]
Diplomacy Map.png
17KB, 612x398px
>>54879470
Pic Related
>>
>>54879488
Don't let Austria take Italy or they win.
>>
>>54879488
If you're England, keep the goddamn french off the English Channel and either get to Scandinavia ASAP to make a pincer with Turkey vs Russia or wait til the krauts and french weaken each other to get into the continent.

If you're Germany or Austria, prepare your anus or make some strong alliances (which you're never to trust) because you 'll have 4 fronts to defend.
>>
Our group's really into co-op stuff lately. We've been playing the hell out of Eldritch Horror and it's expansions, and we've had a lot of good luck with Zombicide Black Plague (didn't like vanilla Zombicide very much, but Black Plague fixed a lot of the mechanical issues we had with it.)

I know that Pandemic Legacy and KDM are the big co-op games on the market right now, but what are some others that would be worth checking out if Eldritch Horror is our current game of choice?

Is Mansions of Madness worth a try?
>>
>>54879488
>Ally with Germany against England
>Either keep your German alliance or stab them in the back after England is finished
>Control the Gulf of Lyon and West Mediterranean
>After England, come to the aid of Italy or Turkey (whoever needs it more) but just before they get their footing back, take them out
>An alliance with Russia is possible to pincer the entire map
France is one of the most defensive countries (top 3 with England and Turkey)
>Get a DMZ with Germany over Burgundy, England over the Channel, and Italy over Piedmont
>Grab Portugal (with Marseilles army) and Spain (with Brest fleet) turn one and try to get Belgium if possible
>If Austria makes if into 1904/5 without being overrun, they become stronk and really hard to stop
>>
File: IMG_1499.jpg (115KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1499.jpg
115KB, 600x600px
I had a lot of fond memories playing Heroquest back in junior high, and the internet says Descent is the closest to a spiritual successor to Heroquest on the market. Some of my old friends recently got back together after college and we're looking for a game for reliving those old memories with.

Does anyone have any experience with it? Does it hold up? Will I be able to break out my Zargon voice and cackle at the heroes' misfortune again with this?
>>
>>54879488
I only ever played diplomacy once and I ache to find people to play it with again
>>
>>54867760
I have the COIN the American Insurection and Twilight Struggle both great games. Haven't played it but Space Empires 4X looks great.
>>
>>54880044
I would say that Dungeon Saga is closer, but Descent is a good deal. You have to have the right group for it, but if you run it like D&D then it is great.
>>
File: Uranus Prepared!.jpg (113KB, 625x833px) Image search: [Google]
Uranus Prepared!.jpg
113KB, 625x833px
>>54879800
>If you're Germany or Austria, prepare your anus

Uranus prepared and reporting in Sir!
>>
>>54872099
>Forbidden Stars

>How it plays
A combat heavy area control game, first to set number of objective tokens wins, or whoever has the most after 8 turns. Players setup the map and locations of the objectives which adds a lot of initial strategy and replayability to the game.
Each player takes turns laying down an action tile in a system, once everyone has placed 4 they are turned over one at a time in the reverse order in which they were placed (top (last placed) action first). Expect this to cause hilarity in your first few games as people try to move ships before building them.
Combat is resolved by rolling dice, and then playing cards to add or subtract symbols or modify dice. It works pretty well, especially since you can customize your combat deck as the game progresses.
Probably the best 40k game I've played including 40k.

>Like/Dislike
Really like this game, my only real gripe is that in a 4 player game the downtime between turns can be a bit long due to the possibility of multiple combats you may not be participating in.

>Worth Buying?
IMO, yes absolutely if you can find it at a reasonable price.
>>
>>54881611
>Fairy Tale

>How it plays
It's a pure drafting game. Players start with a hand of 5 cards, choose one to keep, and then pass them on to the next player. Once everyone has 5 cards choosen, they reveal 3 cards, one at a time, and resolve their effects. After 4 rounds the game ends.

>Like/Dislike
I like that it's a fairly quick drafting game with good interaction that is really easy to teach magic players. The only downside is that the symbology with the advanced cards in play can get a little confusing.

>Worth Buying?
Yeah, although I'd probably recommend checking out Sushi-Go! first as it has a more universal appeal
>>
File: Just get that shit already.jpg (12KB, 266x190px) Image search: [Google]
Just get that shit already.jpg
12KB, 266x190px
>>54879107
Gained Mage Knight as a gift last month so my opinion may be biased. I'd give it a 4,5* out of 5*. Some of the pros include:
>Solo is basically a sum of interesting RPG elements (such as exploration, which does wonders for people with good imagination) in which you try to get better and play your hand smarter at each replay.
>Replay value is a solid 5/5 even with large groups.
>Lots of depth and Mechanics merged together give to each of your turns the feeling of a Guy Ritchie's movie in which the Heisters are gathered setting up how everything is going to go down accordingly...
The last Pro can seem like a Con when viewed form the eyes of some... which takes me to the the cons:
>Big learning curve, which is fine for solo play but makes you a little not sure about how to present the game to others in order to get them interested enough to invest time and play well.
>Need to go over the rulebook over many campaigns to keep track of what you can and cannot do at certain sites.(it's an easy game to play "almost right", difficult to get to 100% right)
>Competitive scenarios seem to be predominant when there is no Lost Legion expansion.
>Enjoy being asked over and over about how to assign damage and how a hired unit can save your ass.
Great Game, get your hands on it. I've already ordered all expansions!
>>
>>54880204
Play online anon, that's what I do
>>
>>54881611
>Really like this game, my only real gripe is that in a 4 player game the downtime between turns can be a bit long due to the possibility of multiple combats you may not be participating in.
Are there any homebrews to speed up the combat? Or are you stuck with your thumb up your ass while you watch other people play the game?
>>
>>54881698
>Merchants & Marauders

>How it plays
An open world sandbox type game set in the golden age of sailing. You can try any strategy you wish to be the first to 10 glory points, be it merchanting or marauding. Players can buy and sell goods, upgrade ships and equipment, attempt missions and find rumours, raid merchant vessels, fight pirates, naval ships, and even each other. Players may recieve and claim bounties, nations may go to war, hurricanes may shut down the entire carribean for a turn or two. There's a lot that can happen.

>Like/Dislike
IMO it's the best pirate game currently made. I love the theme and the way I can make a small fortune trading goods around the carribean, buy a ship loaded with cannons, plunder the shit out of the French, and play hide and seek with their Man O' War while racing to deliver an English royal to her arranged marriage and hoping another player doesn't come try to claim the bounty on my head.
Things I'm not so fond of include the fact that nearly every space on the board has it's own little rule exception, (they're written on the board and the player sheets, but I always forget about them) and the huge amount of influence RNG has on this game. Nearly everything is decided by a dice roll or card draw which can be really frustrating at times.

>Worth Buying?
For me, definitely. It's usually a blast and the emergent stories it creates are pretty awesome. However if you're not ok with sometimes losing just because the dice said no, stay far away. The game will play you about as much as you will play it.
>>
>>54882129
The best way to speed up combat is to have players not fuck around. It honestly doesn't take too long, it's just that with 4 players near the end of the game there is a high likelihood to be multiple combats per turn and you probably won't be involved in all of them. We have a rule where the remaining players can take their actions while they wait (respecting the stack order) so long as they don't effect anything to do with the other players.
>>
>>54879962
Warhammer Adventure Card Game?
>>
>>54865413
Ive done it, caverna is one of the best game Ive ever played, in fact a year ago everybody saud that agricola was the poor mans caverna.
>>
>>54882666
False. Agricola is the thinking man's Caverna. Much more unforgiving, no easymode there.
>>
>>54882699
>Thinking man's
>Random card deal tells you what to do
>>
So are there any games that I should keep an eye out for at Gen-con? I finally get to check baggage for free this year so I can bring stuff back.

Bear in mind I'll be running A Touch of Evil demos up until Saturday afternoon so I probably won't be able to get anything limited.
>>
>>54879464
There is no fantasy TI3. Runewars is not the Heroes of Might and Magic board game you are looking for.
>>
>>54879962
MoM2e is pretty good, but if you've already got Eldritch Horror that's some pretty strong theme overlap. Maybe look into Gloomhaven or Forbidden Desert.
>>
>>54883020
>asking what you should look for competing with other con goers
Sure fuck it, I just finished editing the buylist and there's nothing I need to STEEV-fight you for. CSI ding/dent section (check it twice a day, they reload regularly and drop prices every half day) and the Auction House's consignment store are what you should be checking. Don't worry so much about any specific game, just know what you're already interested in, it's MSRP/amazon pricing, and use that to get good deals. Publishers either sell at MSRP (no tax/shipping ooh what a deal!) or they knock off a few bucks but don't really undercut the online sellers. Also worth keeping an eye out for any publisher who's selling a game you want, and including expansions/large promos. AEG has been known to package old "black box" stuff with games (the Indy/Midwest map for trains), lots of the dexterity companies will give extra components free, some of the kid's publishers will do a buy 2 get 1.
>>
>>54883075
>Runewars is not the Heroes of Might and Magic board game you are looking for.
Titan is still the only game that remotely comes close to HoMM, to the point that people believe that HoMM took inspiration from Titan
>>
>>54882928
That's why you draft pick them.
>>
Does the castle ravenloft board game include strahd in the campaigns?
>>
>>54883386
>I-it's good if we h-houserule it!
>>
>>54883450
Draft is in the new edition rules and in the app.
>>
>>54883075
Is it any good tho
>>
>>54883450
Sorry famalam, it's an official rule.
>>
File: 7th continent.jpg (203KB, 1024x768px)
7th continent.jpg
203KB, 1024x768px
Its fucking perfect. Holy shit.
>>
>>54884078
Elaborate, faggot.
>>
>>54871681
That's why I got into a habit of reading rulebooks for games I know I'll play OR that I already played to make sure I understood everything correctly.

For example, in that fun match of Game of Thrones I had, we pretty much made only two mistakes:

1) you use the Blade for +1 Strength AFTER playing the House Cards;
2) the player who reaches 7 castles wins immediately and doesn't have to hold them until the end of his turn (which actually means that I was the winner in the end, but it doesn't matter).
>>
>>54879464
expansion not necessary
>>
>>54884078
Looks like Mage Knight lite
>>
>>54884294
It has the best sense of exploration of any game I've ever played. It kind of feels like the same exploration you would get out of a metroidvania game. Its so fucking satisfying when you've explored a huge chunk of the map after a long play-session and at the end you get to look at this big beautiful map that's all laid out. The gameplay mechanics are also tight as fuck. Pretty much all of the gameplay is handled through one deck of cards. The main deck of cards is your life total, how you obtain new skills, and also how you mainly pass stat checks before you get items and skills that help you with that. Whenever you do an action in the game there are two requirements. One is the minimum amount of cards you need to draw from the main deck and the other is the amount of successes you need to get. These successes are just star symbols drawn along the side of the skill cards. Some skill cards have full stars (1 success) and others might have half stars or no stars at all. Whats interesting is that you can draw as many cards as you want from the deck. so you can pretty much make sure that you're going to pass a check by drawing more cards but its going to come at the cost of your health. Not only that, but the cards you draw are also the skill aka "idea" cards that your character can use. So no matter the outcome of the stat check you are pretty much always going to get something out of it because you're allowed to keep one of the skill cards that you drew.

I'm pretty fucking picky with board games and honestly I can't think of a single flaw so far. Unless the other curses in the base game don't add a lot of replayability I think it might actually be legit perfect.

>>54884729
They're nothing alike.
>>
Anyone have some recommendations for a LCG (I think they are called) for two players? Currently I'm looking at Ashes and Legends of the 5 rings? Anything better or more interesting?

What gets me the best value since these games seems to demand one to buy several copies to get a decent set of cards? Good art would be nice as well and so far that's what attracted me to the aforementioned games.
>>
>>54885105
Ashes doesn't require multiple copies to play full sets of cards, so that at least has something over every other LCG, Epic only requires one of each set for drafting, but three copies is recommended for constructed

no opinion on L5R yet though I know several local players of the CCG and RPG, so I can always wait for their informed opinion before I choose to dive in
>>
Is there a pastebin or something to read for an intro to this shit?
>>
>>54886247
intro to modern boardgames?
>>
File: 1499456271037.jpg (49KB, 283x323px) Image search: [Google]
1499456271037.jpg
49KB, 283x323px
>>54886303
Yeah I just don't know where to start
>>
>>54886364
check youtube or articles for introductory boardgames, there's tons of reviews and runthroughs

Three things you need to know when looking for a boardgame
>player count
>time used
>genre and theme

Also I recommend looking for a FLGS for trying games for free/get in a gaming group
>>
>>54886364
major boardgame site: boardgamegeek
boardgames online: boardgamearena, boiteajeux, and many more
>>
>>54886364
there is a pastebin actually

https://pastebin.com/NA2W929q
>>
File: 1501644644477.jpg (60KB, 195x293px) Image search: [Google]
1501644644477.jpg
60KB, 195x293px
>>54886415
>>54886434
>>54886463
Appreciate it lads
>>
>>54882699
why is the thinking mans caverna? are you implying that there is no strategy in caverna?
>>
What game would you use to prepare people to play kemet?
>>
>>54885105
>>54885758
It's alleged L5R requires you buy three copies for the full experience
>>
>>54882928
>tells you a goal which you can ignore or pursue as your strategy demands

fixed that for you
>>
>>54884078
looks like forbidden island

is that mini going to an hero off the cliff? now that would make a game
>>
>>54886968
Kemet, probably, unless they were recently concussed or had persistent mental disabilities.
In which case maybe something like Small World.
>>
>>54887029
>lucky enough to get the right cards
>fucking wreck everyone else in terms of resource gathering and production

>don't get lucky
>congrats son you get to spend an hour of your life being shit on by the game and other people

FTFY
But yeah, Agricola can really go fuck off with all the false over-the-top accolades it gets.
>>
>>54887097
See: >>54883386
>>
File: satsuki.jpg (60KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
satsuki.jpg
60KB, 1024x576px
>>54884925
>It has the best sense of exploration of any game I've ever played. It kind of feels like the same exploration you would get out of a metroidvania game. Its so fucking satisfying when you've explored a huge chunk of the map after a long play-session and at the end you get to look at this big beautiful map that's all laid out. The gameplay mechanics are also tight as fuck. Pretty much all of the gameplay is handled through one deck of cards. The main deck of cards is your life total, how you obtain new skills, and also how you mainly pass stat checks before you get items and skills that help you with that. Whenever you do an action in the game there are two requirements. One is the minimum amount of cards you need to draw from the main deck and the other is the amount of successes you need to get. These successes are just star symbols drawn along the side of the skill cards. Some skill cards have full stars (1 success) and others might have half stars or no stars at all. Whats interesting is that you can draw as many cards as you want from the deck. so you can pretty much make sure that you're going to pass a check by drawing more cards but its going to come at the cost of your health. Not only that, but the cards you draw are also the skill aka "idea" cards that your character can use. So no matter the outcome of the stat check you are pretty much always going to get something out of it because you're allowed to keep one of the skill cards that you drew.
>
>I'm pretty fucking picky with board games and honestly I can't think of a single flaw so far. Unless the other curses in the base game don't add a lot of replayability I think it might actually be legit perfect.

dat hype

also
>Yashima mechanics
>>
>>54886364
1. join game group
2. play their shit
3. resist the urge to buy shit until you're sure the mechanics and games you like
4. research heavily
5. don't buy anything with *hype* (i.e. wait 6+ to a year)
6. within reason (don't be an autist) don't play shit you know you don't like if possible
6a. some things deserve a second chance
6b. some things are outright fucking garbage

In other words, do as I say not as I do.
>>
>>54887059
>Small World.
Just don't. see 6b >>54887172
>literally the game I was thinking of
>>
>>54887188
I actually loathe small world but can't think of a really good light dudes-on-a-map this morning.
>>
>>54887225
The King is Dead?
>>
>>54887128
Eh the draft rules better be top notch then because I've played drafting games and still managed to get an entire hand of non-synergistic shite while other players have gotten gold. Normally it's not so bad because you can find other ways to mitigate it but in Agricola where you better hope the cards absolutely shine for you or you're getting fucked in the face I can see drafting being a band-aid solution which still does F all.
>>
>>54887456
Yeah, that's a really solid one. A little unusual, but the couple of times I've played a friends copy I was pretty impressed.
Melee is maybe another one about the same weight I'd recommend.
>>
>>54886561
Die hard Agricola fans believe Caverna is easy mode because it does not punish you as hard for food or shit you don't get, because you can get points easier in many more different ways and because the worker placement aspect is easier to manage (there are more available action spaces to take, which makes turn order a bit less critical.

Caverna also has all buildings/improvements/upgrades/professions available to everyone from the start, instead of being dealt a hand of cards, so there's more flexibility, you can mostly pich and choose a strategy instead of adapting to what you get dealt, which is a sort of an interesting puzzly minmaxing deal.

Also, Caverna is sort of broken, players have figured out there are a few endless point cycle strategies.
>>
>>54880044
Descent second edition is nothing like Heroquest. You have a small map entirely laid out, there's no exploration and rules force full transparency, meaning they explicitly state players can and should read the adventure book and know everything about monsters and events while in play.
It's not a dungeon crawler, it's closer to a tactical skirmish game.

Now, Descent first edition is a dungeon crawler in the truest sene, and if exploration is the "Heroquest felling" for you I'd recommend that more.

>Will I be able to break out my Zargon voice and cackle at the heroes' misfortune again with this?
If that's all you are looking for either edition is fine.
>>
>>54887225
inis
>>
>>54888010
I don't know if I'd really consider Inis as "light" when compared to Kemet, they're pretty comparable in weight.
>>
>>54888405
Kemet vs INIS

Which one would you recommend and why?
>>
>>54887225
>>54887188
So its not just me?
i bought it as one of my first 3 games, played it several times since then and its always a boring experience... That one wasted turn to change the race, which i thought was the meat of the game is actually always annoying for everybody.

why is this game so shilled? seriously, all the main reviewers worship it. Also - all these tokens...
>>
>>54888555
Casuals like easy games with pretty components. I don't like SW either, it's overly simplistic gimmicky and boring.
>>
>>54888555
I do seriously wonder/think same turn going into decline would improve things. I don't know if it would improve it enough to warrant playing but it seems like it would be better.
>>
>>54888549
They are very different games. One of them is a pure wargame where the other can be played without any combat, though unlikely. Of the two, I prefer Inis
>>
>>54879962
>didn't like vanilla Zombicide very much, but Black Plague fixed a lot of the mechanical issues we had with it.
Could you explain a bit what Black Plague fixed for you? I really wanted to get into core Zombicide but nothing felt like it fit together right. I'd be interested in giving Black Plague a try depending on what it fixes.
>>
>>54888549
I haven't played enough of Inis, but I'm pretty sure I'll always like Kemet better. More aggressive by quite a bit, more variety (I think) in distinct strategies, and you're less restricted by the choices the other players are making.
A great deal of the strategy of Inis is in the drafting of cards each round, similar to Blood Rage (but better, in my opinion), and how you feel about that draft controlling your options each round is probably going to be the way you feel about Inis as a whole. Maybe I just need to GIT GUD, but I find getting a tile power I wanted in Kemet snatched up by an opponent much less frustrating to deal with.

I still think both are really solid games, but Kemet retains the top spot for me. Inis can develop into some REALLY interesting puzzles though.
>>
>>54888704
>>54888640
Cool, thanks!
>>
>>54888849
>>54888549
I know it's an obvious difference but Kemet sits 5 (and I think it's best at 5), and Inis is only 4.
>>
>>54888689
Remember how in Zombicide, they had that goofy-ass "targeting priority" chart where unless you had the sniper rifle, firing a ranged weapon into a space with zombies and fellow survivors in it meant you always hit other players' survivors first?

Black Plague changes that so that you only hit survivors on a miss when firing ranged weapons, and adds armor saves for characters with armor items so that there's a chance of resisting a bite when you get attacked. It encourages a much more proactive style of play, overall. The skills you unlock on each character on the orange threat level also tend to be a lot more useful, and the zombies+high fantasy flair is (imo) a lot more interesting that base Zombicide's vanilla "zombies" theme.
>>
>>54863643

>Fuck if I know where they're going with this.

Knowing how my games of Dead of Winter turn out, the dog will get a snowmobile and find some night vision goggles along with a sniper rifle.
>>
File: IMG_1490.jpg (28KB, 500x310px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1490.jpg
28KB, 500x310px
>>54887172
>some things are outright fucking garbage

I know this is a contentious question, obviously, but what are some popular games that are "outright fucking garbage" that I should beware? I'm taking over my club's board game club next semester and I need to know what to watch out for before I start spending club budget on shit
>>
>>54889041
Betrayal at House on the Hill
Smash Up
Scythe
>>
>>54889081
>Scythe

Now you've gone and done it.
>>
>>54889041
Munchkin
Catan
Ticket to Ride
Zombicide
Betrayal at House on the Hill

>>54889098
None of the 'Mechs have missile racks, explain that shit.
>>
>>54889098
The game is so slow with barely any player interaction, it is just Farmville.
>>
>>54889041
There are exactly three "Cthulhu" games on the market worth playing: Arkham/Eldritch Horror, Mansions of Madness, and the Arkham Horror Card Game.

Avoid absofuckingloutely everything else with an "Eldritch" or "Cthulhu" theme like the goddamn plague.
>>
I've been hearing a couple times from a few different places now that Zombicide Black Plague is a markedly better game than Zombicide, but is there any real merit to that
>>
>>54889127
this guy has biased opinion
ticket to ride is an ok introductory game
>>
>>54889142
Cthulhu Wars is pretty good, I hear.
>>
>>54889162
Maybe if it was about armored Wehrmacht and Soviet trains duking it out on the eastern front.
>>
>>54889178
If you play vidya you should try Company of Heroes, that will give you a nazi boner.
>>
>>54889081
Betrayal is the only one of those which is garbage, though.
>>
>>54889231
I played the shit out of CoH1, easily one of my favorite RTS of all time. Never quite got into CoH2 though. Been more into Men of War recently - not quite as pretty or polished, but damn good regardless.
>>
>>54889260
Mah nigga. CoH1 is all you need, they dropped the ball hard with CoH2 and their fucking DLC crap. I haven't played MoW but heard it was good.
>>
>>54889041
Hanabi is the only game I've ever bought that I would consider total garbage. It's a social game based around not communicating.

>>54889127
Catan is as bland as oatmeal from a mechanical sense, but it's not bad as a social activity because of the trading aspect. It works as a eurogame for non-gamers, so it's worth keeping in some people's collections.

But Ticket to Ride is awful with a casual group. I don't understand how it gets played.
>>
>>54889127
>explain that shit.

You are funny guy, I kill you last.
>>
File: 1444341120896.jpg (17KB, 265x190px) Image search: [Google]
1444341120896.jpg
17KB, 265x190px
>>54889142
>Arkham Horror is worth playing
>>
>>54889253
Smash up is pretty pants and is quickly reaching Munchkin levels of cashcow fuckery which in itself is a crime punishable by death by player elimination.
>>
>>54889288
>Hanabi
>shit
>not communicating

What's the problem? Do you have the attention span of a gold fish?
>>
>>54887631
>it does not punish you as hard for food or shit you don't get
Ah, yes, the modern "board games aren't supposed to be actually fun" design style of Euro games.
>>
>>54889351
To this day people get pissy if you point out that Eldritch Horror improved on it in almost every conceivable way so I left it on for completeness sake
>>
>>54889288
> based around not communicating
Actually there's plenty of communication, if you're not a braindead mongoloid.
>>
>>54889288
>Hanabi is the only game I've ever bought that I would consider total garbage. It's a social game based around not communicating.
On the contrary, Hanabi is a social game based around communicating. Specifically, how well can you really communicate? Can you get someone else to understand what they really have in their hand without wasting all your clue tokens?
>>
>>54889367
>>54889376
Yeah, no shit. I understand how the game works. It's just gimmicky as hell and playing it feels like having autism.
>>
File: IMG_1329.gif (785KB, 242x182px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1329.gif
785KB, 242x182px
There are like, two thousand dollars worth of board games on the wall at our board game cafe and the only thing people can agree on during our weekly meet ups is Red Dragon Inn. It's all we've played, every Wednesday night, for five months now.

Our group chat has started referring to Wednesdays as "RDI Night" instead of "board game night" and I don't even know when that began or if anyone else even realized we didn't always call it that.

I mean fuck, it's not even a bad game but I wish these people had the patience to learn anything else, just to maybe alternate off every other week or something.
>>
>>54889461
>I understand how the game works.
> It's a social game based around not communicating.
>It's just gimmicky as hell and playing it feels like having autism.

No anon, you are the autist.
>>
>>54889374
Some people actually like doing accounting and management. Solving problems operating within a restricted set of rules is *gasp!* fun
>>
>>54889523
Sometimes it's fun, sometimes it leads to "Oh look I forgot to report a decimal while planning my whole game in turn 1, now I get to sit at the table for 2 hours knowing I'll never win"
>>
>>54889657
>>54889374

For Agricola, it's more like
>"I'm completely fucking retarded"
if you end up not being able to feed.

I'm not even sure if you've played a Euro game. Go play some 18xx then you can complain about irrevocably fucking yourself.
>>
>>54888625
>I don't know if it would improve it enough to warrant playing but it seems like it would be better.

I thought about it myself but as >>54888610 said, it's too simplistic for all the components it provides.
I really regret buying it taking into account limited budget. It wasnt intriguing neither the first time, when all the races and perks were new, nor now when I know all the good combos. Sadly, because I can't blame any part of the production quality myself.
>>
>>54889288
Hanabi is sicked-up garbage, yes, but not because of its system. The system is brilliant. You have to convey meaning through totally unspoken tells and gameplay intricacies.

The reason it's shit is that there's no theme.

Beyond Baker Street and Arkham Ritual are two games that really put a fun game behind the mechanics, instead of fucking rummy.
>>
>>54890218
Hanabi needs a theme as much as Texas hold 'em needs a theme; fireworks or blower bouquets are not the reason Hanabi sucks.
>>
>>54890218
>The reason it's shit is that there's no theme.

Holy shit you guys, at least try harder if you are going to shit on a game.
Hanabi is not the best game but it is a solid one.
>>
>>54889156
See >>54888951
>>
>>54890392
All games need a good mix of ingredients and fun payoff. Hanabi looks like they came up with backwards cards and then just said "okay, that is a game, hold the cards backwards and then put them down. that's it, that's the whole thing"

Which is like trying to make a eurogame and saying "you turn red cubes into green cubes and you win" and publishing that. You need at least two fucking ideas to make a full game. Not one.

Beyond Baker Street has player powers and difficulty modes and an extremely finite number of clues. And there's theme.

Arkham Ritual has complex competitive play, multiple ways to "shoot the moon", and tons of alternate cardsets to change things up. And a theme.

Hanabi has literally nothing. Just, things are backwards. Woooo.
>>
>>54890537
Texas Hold 'em has literally nothing. Everyone has 3 hidden cards and share 2 open ones. Woooo.

Yet, it's the most popular poker variant in the world and people compete for hundreds of millions of dollars in prizes every year.
>>
>>54890537
Hanabi's a coop game where you work together to give each other hints. Sucks to be you that you're too stupid to know how to play the game properly.
>>
>>54890612
Cont.
Simple mechanics don't mean a simple game is a bad game. The good bits about Hanabi are not mechanic.
Incomplete information
Limited comunication
Team coordination
Interpretation of clues
Memory and focus
Deduction
Risk assessment
>>
>>54890537
Calm your autism. Just because there's no theme for you to escape from your suck ass life in to doesn't mean a game is automatically shit.
>>
Whats the best way to play diplomacy online? I'd like to be able to use my phone preferably, and I see lots of different options - Droidippy, Backstabbr, Conspiracy, ect. What is you guys favorite that you play?
>>
>>54868734
if you have a group wiling to invest, it's the absolute best 4X boardgame out there.
>>54861213
>>
>>54889041
Munchkin and Monopoly are the only true 100% Gargage games I'm really aware of. Scrabble is borderline, it's fine as long as no one playing is actually a "scrabble player" but you should probably go for better games

Catan and TTR aren't good games, but they're good at being baby's first modern board game so that's nice for a club. Betrayal isn't exactly a 'game' so much as a horror movie simulator but people still have fun with it so I wouldn't avoid it like the plague. Wouldn't buy it for a board game club though.

What I WOULD avoid in your condition, aside from Munchkin, are games that feel guilty of "false advertising" -- that is, good or bad (usually mediocre at best but there are exceptions) you don't get what the box or even a short description of the game would typically lead you to want. These will produce bad experiences and people won't want to come back them or potentially even the club.

In that, Scythe is one of the worst offenders, and it really is only a mediocre game even once you align your expectations to what it is. I can think of some other guilty parties (usually in that they tend to outstay their welcome) but few of them are available mainstays.

You might want to avoid heavier euros unless you get requests. Like, Power Grid is a great game but if club members are coming in half-hearted they're going to get discouraged. Ditto Tzolkin. Get Lords of Waterdeep (Baby's first Worker Placement) or Champions of Midgard instead, they'll have a broader appeal

Don't bother with any social deduction game other than maybe Secret Hitler. I guess on the right day you could grab Avalon too, but none of the werewolf variant sets, just avoid them.

Deckbuilders are a little contentious. I have very little doubt that the best Dominion-style deckbuilder on the market is Tanto Cuore but... It's Tanto Cuore and you're talking a school club even if it is college or why are you posting here, you may have to worry about your image.
>>
>>54891373
http://www.playdiplomacy.com
>>
>>54891683
Is it good for phone interface?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzCojjEROJs
Yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyep
>>54889482
This sounds like something you need to talk about.
>>
File: AHC08_321.jpg (37KB, 300x419px) Image search: [Google]
AHC08_321.jpg
37KB, 300x419px
>>54885105
if you're down for co-op, Arkham Horror the card game only requires 2 base sets for a full playset and all the art so far is great. Plus there's a bit of fun in upgrading your deck between scenarios with gained exp.
>>
>>54889142
man, Cthulhu Wars is my favorite dudes on a map wargame though... sandy petersen knows his shit
>>
>>54890691
What Hanabi really needs to shine is to be remade into a Star Wars game.
Instead of lame, themeless fireworks exhibition, you'll manage a team of Xwings trying to shoot 5 ion torpedoes into 5 different subsystems of a Super Star Destroyer. Comms, Shields, Engines, Weapons and Hyperdrive. 5 torpedoes disable each subsystem and you capture the SSD when all subsystems are incapacitated. It will of course need sculpted plastic tokens for radio bursts (hints), damage received (errors) and miniature spaceships for all players.
It's the only way to make Hanabi into a good game.
>>
File: 1501825714323.jpg (78KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1501825714323.jpg
78KB, 640x640px
>>54892017
I wouldn't be surprised if they make Star Wars Hanabi
>>
>>54892017
b-but it's pasted on theme
>>
>>54892127
Would anyone? They're gonna milk that cash cow until it's a mummified husk.
>>
>>54892188
That's never bothered Reiner Knizia, why should it bother Bauza?
>>
Lately persuaded dear friend to chip into purchasing mansions of madness 2nd edition as our 1st modern board game. Ive played the base scenarios multiple times and am thinking of what expansions are worth the price tag.
>>
>>54891695
It's not bad. The map is easy to see but if you want to make any moves you'll need to zoom in the screen so that you don't tap the wrong order or area. As long as you do that it works just fine
>>
NEW THREAD
>>54892528
NEW THREAD
>>54892528
>>
>>54889041
my local uni club has a pretty wide mix.
shit i see getting played a lot (regardless of it being trash or not) is
>spyfall
>cash & guns
>catan/TTR
>dead of winter
etc.

A lot of your player base will be normies trying out the hobby. Let them play trash.
>>
File: bad-decisions-tattoo.jpg (91KB, 640x428px) Image search: [Google]
bad-decisions-tattoo.jpg
91KB, 640x428px
>>54889041
Yashima
Dungeon Time
Ticket to Ride
Blokus (squares)
Apples to Apples
Cards against Humanity
We didn't playtest this at all
Sequence
Fluxx version 5.0 (no creepers)

off the top of my head
Thread posts: 315
Thread images: 41

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.