[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 383
Thread images: 33

File: jonas-jensen-dwarvesvsorcs.jpg (317KB, 1037x1225px) Image search: [Google]
jonas-jensen-dwarvesvsorcs.jpg
317KB, 1037x1225px
>Unearthed Arcana: Three-Pillar Experience
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-ThreePillarXP.pdf

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Alternate Trove:
https://dnd.rem.uz/5e%20D%26D%20Books/

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread:
>>54807977

What was your character's most heroic/defining/badass moment?

What was your character's most humiliating/pathetic/evil moment?
>>
I've got 16 17 16 18 14 16 (with racial enhancers: human) in stats and my GM told me to optimize my character as much as I could - what's the most broken build I can do with these stats?
>>
>>54816194
We've only played on session so far, but I did start a bar fight, beat up the innkeeper and many patrons, and then jumped though a window with a keg of ale when the guard showed up.
>>
>>54816227
Beast master Ranger.
>>
>>54816194
>pathetic/evil moment?
Rejecting a demons offer while with the party to do something evil for a reward, then trying to and succeeding to commune with it while everyone was asleep, and doing the thing by myself during the night
>>
Gotta say I'm pretty sick of racial stat bonuses screwing with non-standard character builds.
>>
File: 1497228393440.png (3MB, 851x1014px) Image search: [Google]
1497228393440.png
3MB, 851x1014px
Restating the question out of interest.

Would anyone allow a player to take 8 Short Rest instead of taking a Long Rest if they wanted to? With the Constitution check to see if they suffer exhaustion of course. For 99% of the classes and multiclass in the game this is a stupid question to ask as most would just take the long rest and move on, but for a Sorlock, it seems beneficial.

A warlock gets Pact Magic Slots back on a short rest, they use those spell slots to create Sorcerery Points which they then turn into 1st-3rd level spell slots depending on the Pact Magic Slot levels. These new spell slots last until a long rest is completed, therefore a Sorcerer/Warlock will want to take multiple short rests to loop this feature.
>>
>>54816332
Sleep and Long Rests are different things.
>>
>>54816194
>What was your character's most heroic/defining/badass moment?
Blackmailing people trying to kill her with her magical AIDS. There were twelve of them, and she was not going to walk out of that room alive, unless she thought of something. And she did.
>>
>>54816227
5e doesn't really have broken (overpowered) builds. But some things are better than others, and a stat roll like that helps with MAD.

A straight Paladin would be pretty strong - high AC and makes all your already good saves even better.

You've also got the array to maximize the spellcasting of Paladin+Sorcerer; take either 2 or 6 levels of Paladin and the rest go into Sorc for more smite slots and spellcasting. Here you take advantage of Quickened metamagic to use your bonus action to cast the SCAG melee cantrips (Green-Flame Blade, Booming Blade), giving you a very strong on-demand additional attack.

A Paladin with 3 levels of Warlock is very good as well - you get short rest spell slots for smiting, a reliable ranged option through Eldritch Blast+Agonizing Blast, and various cantrips if you go Tome, which is a good idea as that gives you access to Shillelagh. Quarterstaff+Shield is already an excellent build path for a Paladin, so making the attack key off Charisma is awesome and means you'd only need to spend one ASI on that 18 to be set; the rest would go onto feats that make you better like PAM, Warcaster, etc.
>>
>>54816288
>screwing
Only class it screws with is a Monk. Everyone else is fine with a 14/15 in their main stat
>>
>>54816332
8 hours of rest is a long rest. Your character doesn't sit down and think, "okay, I'm going to take a Long Rest now," they think, "all right, we'll stop here for the night and keep going tomorrow."
What kind of character thinks, "okay, I'm going to sit down and rest for an hour now," *8 times in a row*, without getting up to do anything else in between?

Completely aside from this being utter cheesing nonsense, it doesn't even begin to make sense in-character.
>>
How would you plan a revolution?
My players want to help the opressed humans against the nazi elves
>>
>>54816466
move human religions in under the guise of peaceful coexistance, offer free schooling, orphanages, and work for anyone who needs it. Slowly culturally cleanse the elfen ways from their entire society by the next generation.
>>
>be DM
>running a sandbox with a core story developed by small fragments of side quests
>core story will cause the entire island to slide into the planes of hell
>super hyped for the planes of hell
>start planning it out
>really enthusiastic about world-building
>realise that it might be months before the party even get into the endgame of the island, let alone the planes of hell

kill me
>>
>>54816466
>Spread propaganda as far and wide as possible - but printing press is necessary for that.
>Seek foreign aid - many people will likely want to see elves fall, and they might provide you with funding and other boons.
>Corrupt the academia with your ideas. Seek sympathizers within the army. Break their society in two.
>Move into the place the opressed have it the worst and wait for the spark. Provide oil to the flame.
>>
>>54816332
It was a retarded question then and it's retarded now.
>>
>>54816495
A common problem. Thinking big killed a lot of games, including some of my own. Resist the urge to think too far ahead as much as you can, anon.
>>
>>54816495
>DM sets up a huge sandbox for us
>Two months
>Haven't even left the first town yet
>>
Here to play devil's advocate.
>>54816358
How so? Does the book differentiate between the two?

>>54816415
You are technically using these spells slots for something, and it is following RAW. Also, they are suffering the downsides of not taking a Long Rest such as not gaining hit dice, their higher level spell slots that they may have used for the day, and any other long rest ability's gained from their class. Also, they have to make the constitution check to see if they don't suffer exhaustion. So there are give and takes for doing this. (I understand where you are coming from this is probably what I would rule in my game.)

>>54816434
"DM I spend the next 8 hours reading, trying to contact my patron, wandering the city and exchanging my Warlock Spell slots to my sorcery points, then changing those points into spell slots. I then rest for 1 hour and get up to do this again until I feel completely exhausted."

>>54816548
(To that effect I agree is a strange question.) What about when it has a mechanical benefit and the Sorlock wants to take advantage of it?
>>
>>54816428
If you pick a non-standard race for your class you're not just missing out on your main stat, you're gaining to something you probably don't need.

A half-orc barbarian looks like this:
> 16 / 14 / 16 / 8 / 10 / 10

A half-orc rogue looks like this:
> 10 / 15 / 16 / 8 / 8 / 15

Which means you're going to be an ABI behind the barbarian for the entire game. He can get a feat and still be on-par with you, which is a pretty big deal.
I'm not claiming non-standard races ruin builds, I'm just tired of there being obviously better options, and having to look at crappy ability scores if I want to play something weird.
>>
Are there any TSR era module conversions floating around?
>>
>>54816227
divination wizard 20
>>
>>54816640
Barring that, any good short modules fit for 5e that are not AL.
>>
>>54816598
> A short rest is a period of downtime, at least 1 hour long, during which a character does nothing more strenuous than eating, drinking, reading, and tending to wounds.

> A long rest is a period of extended downtime, at least 8 hours long, during which a character sleeps or performs light activity: reading, talking, eating, or standing watch for no more than 2 hours. If the rest is interrupted by a period of strenuous activity—at least 1 hour of walking, fighting, casting Spells, or similar adventuring activity—the characters must begin the rest again to gain any benefit from it.

Converting spell slots is also a bonus action, which means you'd have to do it outside the short rests, but that's honestly the last thing I'd be thinking about if I were running a game and someone pitched this to me.
The first thing would be "can you stop cheesing please" and the second would be "did you build this character just to try this, because you're going to be pretty disappointed."
>>
>>54816637
Rogues can work very well with Strength instead of Dex.

http://burrowowl.net/2014/08/the-5e-muscle-rogue/
>>
>>54816771
>"can you stop cheesing please"
Agreed its cheesey and would probably not be allowed at most tables such as my own. I have one question to this though are you forcing a PC to take a Long Rest with this? What if the PC does not desire sleep but instead wants to try this? Would you allow them to take just 1 short rest and no more?

I say this because this is effectively someone choosing to stay up all day and not resting at any point in order to accomplish a goal.
>>
>>54816834
That's cool, though not really the point. For Half-Orc you can exchange Rogue with any of the caster classes and have the same effect.
Sometimes I just want to be a smart Half-Orc and I'm sad the system doesn't like it.
>>
>>54816851
The system basically punishes INT in all its forms but wizard. Orcs aren't special in that regard.
>>
>>54816851
It's not like its hard to let the players remove a stat from the +2 and put it anywhere if they can't already. Isn't going to make any of the classes better than a V.Human anyway
>>
>>54816637
>He can get a feat and still be on-par with you, which is a pretty big deal.
D&D isn't a competition. Who cares that one character is slightly more optimised. I've played with people that have used non-optimal races and they have never complained about being less effective than optimal races.
>>
>>54816839
The problem with all of this is the only way to make it work is by cheesing the hard game mechanics and ignoring how a character would actually behave.

If you take a long rest, you can't take another long rest for 24 hours. That means you could take a long rest, then take your eight short rests with gaps in between them for sorclock shenanigans, then actually go to sleep at the end of the day, and have at least a whole day with access to your boosted spell slots.

But what kind of person would actually do that? That's eight hours of inactivity, followed by eight more hours of very specific inactivity, followed by eight(ish) hours of sleep, so that you can be stronger for a day before you have to do it all again.

I guess at this point the only reason I wouldn't allow it is because it's cheese, and *very slow* cheese at that. It certainly seems theoretically possible within the rules.
>>
>>54816598
>How so? Does the book differentiate between the two?
Yes, extensively.
Long rest is the thing you do to get your shit back
Sleep is the thing you do not to gain exhaustion

Elves don't need to sleep. They can instead Trance for four hours and not gain exhaustion. However they still need to rest for another four to get spell slots and shit back.

But in theory you could gain the benefits of a long rest by chilling in the Tavern with your friends playing pinnacle for eight hours
>>
File: A New Day.jpg (73KB, 501x541px) Image search: [Google]
A New Day.jpg
73KB, 501x541px
>>54816194
Still early days for my character, but I just had a great session tonight.

>heroic/defining/badass moment
Roasting the fuck out of an obnoxious street thug (early-game antagonist) before being called into a meeting with this guy's employer. In this meeting, I make a clutch persuasion roll (saved by inspiration) and convince the boss that i'd make a better right-hand man. We hatch a plan to set this other guy up to be busted by the cops, after which I leave, slapping a hunter's mark on the guy so I can find him later. Easily the most fun i've had roleplaying my character so far.

>humiliating/pathetic/evil moment
Tried to say hi to a barmaid, rolled abysmally low and she turned around to see a guy with tons of weapons sneaking behind the counter to talk to her. I don't know what I looked like from her perspective, I like to imagine it was something like pic related, I rolled so fucking badly. Poor girl almost had a heartattack, and the store owner wasn't impressed to say the least.
>>
>>54816194

Not sure if badass or moronic.

>Playing a game with minitures. It started off with the LMoP campaign.
>We didn't kill Kost because someone didn't want to murder a member of the red mages or something.
>We come across him in or current campaign.
>I come back from the washroom and we are taking a short rest.
>I was never good with letting a necromancer live, so I sent the DM a text saying what I wanted to do but to keep it quiet from the party.
>Turns out, bad idea to just walk over and kill him. What I missed on whilst taking a piss was that the two Lego zombies were actually 10 zombies, he just didn't want to pull all of them out.
>I hit him for 13d6+14 in the opening two rounds so even though he levelled up from earlier, he still dropped.
>Made an acrobatics check to wall run up to grab a second story window ledge, an athletics to jump from one ledge to another an a Dex saving throw to not land in a heap after jumping from a window.
>Got back to the party, told them that the zombies are getting aggressive and we need to leave.
>They still don't know that Kost is dead.
>>
>>54817042
source?
>>
>>54816484

Working well in Sweden!
>>
>>54816956
I mind that I could have had a feat if I hadn't wanted to do something non-standard. It's not about someone else being better than me, it's about having to make mechanical sacrifices if you want to play something offbeat.

>>54816899
I do agree. If I were running a game I'd let people move the stat bonuses around, but I'm a player and the DM is pretty keen on staying AL legal.
>>
File: Shitter or no.jpg (66KB, 367x766px) Image search: [Google]
Shitter or no.jpg
66KB, 367x766px
>>54817065
Monhan no ero hon volume 9

Man, now I want to make a Bullfango-man character. Are there any classes that extensively use mundane items in combat and scale well with Strength and Intelligence? Probably not I guess.
>>
>>54817170
Wizards use intelligence. Nothing else.
>>
>>54817170
closest would be eldritch knight and thief rogue. eldritch knight works best for a STR/INT character. thief rogue is best at using mundane items in combat due to fast hands, but doesn't really benefit from INT.
>>
Have you ever had a character take a nonstandard or utility language?

Do equivalents of sign language or Morse Code exist in your setting?
>>
>>54817300
All I've ever heard was Druidic and Thieves Cant both of which are pretty super secret.
>>
>>54817300
Drow sign language, I give it to anyone with Undercommon and Elven.
>>
Played a 1st level melee warlock in a game today, went really well and could tank a bit with dark one's blessing. With my high str and high cha, I had both ranged and melee options. The cantrips were on point, but there was limited spellcasting beyond cantrip level as expected.

My warlock synergized with the other characters in the party.
>>
>>54817170
my nigga
>>
>>54817170
Think Mystic can go str+int
>>
>>54817342

if you're not eldritch blasting as every single action, you're playing it wrong and badly and dragging down your team

and i mean EVERY single action. every six seconds your character should be firing off lasers. even in puzzle rooms or social encounters
>>
>>54816256
Our party got ambushed by a mercenary dwarf who wanted our mission and my human sorcerer got a crossbow bolt in the arm that nearly killed me. Our nonbinary firbolg druid got everyone to calm down and then i asked the merc if he could help get the bolt out of me . I had a +7 persuasion modifier so i thought it would go easy but i crit failed and he called me a right royal prick and re initiated combat. I got a shiv in my gut and i died cause we had no one who could res me.
>>
>>54817433
Topkek.
>>
>>54816194

Death House Spoilers:

I have made the tweak that the Shambling Mound at the bottom of the cellar is in fact some the stillborn monstrosity of what was once Walter Durst

The party has been battered, bruised and emotionally torn down even lost a few members during their journey, but throughout it all the Paladin character took it upon himself to be the leader, and through courage and responsabilidade, saved everyone more than once.

However as I plop that monster down, reveal his identity and everyone's heart sinks into díspar and start begging to flee, the Paladin guy ignores them all, bears down with his great sword and just tells the monster
"I will release you. This I swear to you child"

And so they did. They put aside their panic, pulled out all the stops and defeated the Shambling Mound in combat.

Shivers.
>>
>>54816194
Hi 5eg! A question that came up at our table tonight - should you allow Warlocks to take Invocations based off their total character level or should you stick with the class level? Does this break the game if you still adhere to Invocation slots and spell level slots?

And, if you do that do you have to do it for other classes - though the only one we could think of was 4 Elements Monk.
>>
>>54817678

Keep it to class level.
>>
>>54817678
It's class level, or there's no reason to stay in warlock class at all.
>>
File: 1395399287165.png (136KB, 400x266px) Image search: [Google]
1395399287165.png
136KB, 400x266px
>>54817678
So if they multiclass they essentially gain like 1.5 character levels?
>>
>>54817678
it's explicitly warlock level in the errata.
https://media.wizards.com/2016/downloads/DND/PH-Errata-V1.pdf
>>
>>54817678
I don't think it breaks the game, because at best you have what, one time per day casting at best level 5 spells? Invos dont get anything crazy like wish and such. Warlock 3/Rogue 17 gets 2 level 1 spell slots and 2 invos that could be like invis or water breating? Versus a wizard 20 who gets 25 spells a day with a whole lot at level 7 plus.

I'd be OK with it as long as the players didn't use it to build some ungodly thing. That said I don't know all the invos off hand but if you kept it to spell slots and invocation restriction it'd work alright alongside the other shit you get as you level.
>>
How taxing is prepping on the DM in 5e? Specifically the adventure modules? (not the shitty Rise of Tiamat ones though).
>>
>>54817803
Not really at all. I'd say that Storm King's Thunder is a notable exception, though, since it has like two hundred pages describing the map alone.
>>
Is http://dnd.rem.uz/ down for anyone else?
>>
>>54817803
Depends on the Module. Curse of Strahd for example requires a good deal of experience and nuance from the DM, and reading the whole module once or twice before hand, to get a handle on the 12 factions and sandboxy foreshadowing and influences, but all that you really need to know about those things is that they're there. Like this ones got werewolves, so for nights in the woods they'll come into the plot, and that ones got witches, so for dark deals of magical power, you got them
>>
Is the Trove down for anyone else?
>>
>>54817850
It is, yeah.
In the future you can also use http://isup.me/ to check it.
>>
>>54817803
not very

>read book
>remember characters and places
>decide if you need maps for certain areas/fights
>make a cheat sheet if you need it
>>
>>54817850
>>54817952
Yeah, seems to have been down for around 8 hours now, was looking to download something too
>>
>>54817781
>doesn't break the game
yes, yes it does.

it gives anything with 1-3 levels of warlock extra attack, +cha to damage, super darkvision, a bunch of at wills, pseudo smites, the best cantrip in the game, extra skills, etc.
>>
>>54817803
Stradh requires preparation
>>
Any tips on running encounters with flying enemies?
>>
>>54817850
yes it is. I'm trying to find the Out of the Abyss pdf. Does anyone here have a working download link for it?
>>
>>54817803
WotC suck at UI in general, but they seem to be improving somewhat.

Besides numerous organization gripes though, I have to note that having an entire weird circus troupe in the beginning of Out of the Abyss is really an overkill.
>>
is the book repository trove not working for anyone else?
>>
>>54818063
it's dead for me as well.
>>
Considering making a barbarian in an upcoming campaign. Any advice?
>>
>>54818056
well, the book says during the escape some of them are expected to die.
In my campaign, only the kuo-toa survived the first session.
>>
Can anyone who knows 4e tell me what sort of CR this would be if it were translated to 5e? I don't need any of the stats, just the difficulty level.
>>
>>54818233
Go Goliath Barbearian and lift small cars
>>
>>54818291
Depends on if you change the thing to fit 5e's bounded accuracy. If you kept 35 ac and +26 to hit it'd be like CR 30
>>
>>54816701
Against the cult of the reptile god could work. It's easy to convert as well.
>>
>>54818325
All by myself?
>>
File: IMG_1487.jpg (186KB, 640x697px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1487.jpg
186KB, 640x697px
People who have run/played Lost Mine of Phandelver: how did your group deal with that whole "young green dragon encounter at level" thing, and did you make it out alive?
>>
>>54818332
I mean, in the adventure it comes from (http://www.miyako.pro/files/Games/D%26D%204th%20Edition/D%26D%204th%20Edition%20-%20Death%27s%20Reach%20E1.pdf) there's this guy and like 4 others in one encounter.

Did 4e not have a cap on how powerful players could be? Because I mean CR 30 is as high as 5e goes.
>>
dice+2d10
>>
Rolled 7, 1 = 8 (2d10)

>>54818413
I am retarded.
>>
>>54818325
Pff- between 20 str, Powerful Build, the Brawny fear, and Barb class features, my character can lift 4800 pounds.
>>
I don't understand why the designers made spear and shield worse than sword and shield unless you use feats. I don't understand why people in general don't like spears and polearms. They're way more effective than swords which were traditionally a sidearm like a pistol.
>>
>>54818435
I didn't mention Brawny since it's UA and there's been some controversy over whether the "one size larger" effect is intended to stack with Powerful Build. If it is, then yeah, you can lift SUVs and pick-up trucks.

>>54818355
You're a big guy
>>
What would be the most sure way to kill Agatha in LMoP?
>>
>>54818454
because they are literally a peasants weapon

they dont look cool either
>>
>>54818549
So, I got myself a build. What's the next step in my master plan?
>>
>>54818790
Play a game with other people.
>>
>>54818291
Everything was inflated in 4e, including level. Levels went up to 30 instead of 20, so a level 21 guy in 4e is really only level 14.
>>
>>54818833
So like a toned down death knight would be a viable parallel? Cheers.
>>
>>54818821
Let the games begin!
>>
>>54818686
That's not a good idea in general considering what she can do
>>
>>54818863
Do you know how?
>>
>>54818373
It's not that hard, action economy is on your side, but if you're afraid your group will perish lead them towards side-quests so that they can beef up before the fight with the dragon.
>>
>>54818851
Maybe? The real question is what would work for your players. How accurate it is to an old 4e module nobody read is irrelevant.
>>
>>54818895
True, but I'm going to be moving my players off a completely homebrew island into a place from established lore.

I know it's completely up to me, but I have this sense that I have to keep roughly to extant lore where it's available.

Because I'm neurotic.
>>
>>54818325

Rather not be "that guy" playing some weird race.
>>
>>54818876
What level? What party resources?
>>
>>54819020
Let's say level 20 and unlimited resources.
>>
>>54818959
>Weird race
>Goliaths
So taller/buffer humans are weirder than "stout" humans with beards, skinny humans with pointed ears, actual humans, short sneaky humans with hairy feet, super deformed humans who love magic, demon-descendant horned humans, and tough humans with an underbite
>>
Are there actually ANY mundane uses for INT? I haven't read through all the sourcebooks or UA stuff yet. Maybe some kind of feat....? Any affect whatsoever outside Will and casting. Anything?
>>
>>54818959
>some weird race

there's a giant dude in the fucking Old Testament, how classic can you get?

this is the problem with nerds these days, they grew up on second-hand fantasy where everything is a copy of a copy of Tolkien

absolutely no respect for the weird and wonderful mythology that's existed as long as the written word, or for the crazy shit that's permeated fantasy since it's been a genre
>>
File: 1497894685475.jpg (4KB, 146x200px) Image search: [Google]
1497894685475.jpg
4KB, 146x200px
>>54819033
>Lost Mine of Phandelver
>Level 20 with unlimited resources
What class, who's in the party? Explain yourself.
>>
>>54819046

It's not in the phb, which makes it weird.

It's no different from someone wanting to play some weird ktisune shit.
>>
>>54819077
We can just come back whenever. The plan is to kill her, and I need to know the most effective and sure way to do it.
>>
File: bait.jpg (45KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
bait.jpg
45KB, 1000x1000px
>>54819085
Here is your (You)
>>
>>54819100

Goliaths are on par with Kitsune or some weird "that guy" bullshit, yea.

Unless a race is in the PHB it's stupid to expect that uncommon race to be acceptable.
>>
>>54819060
Skill bonuses?
>>
>>54819125
>Tall/Tough guys are equivalent to anthropomorphic trickster foxes
Let me fill your reply quota really quick. But in exchange, go back to /pgg/ and stay there.
>>
>>54819092
Then just come back after the module and hit her with a magic weapon. You'll be fine.
>>
>>54819125
Also dragonborn is weird that guy bullshit despite being in PHB.
>>
>>54819073
I think it's more that it's not in the PHB.
>>
What's a good name for a caveman BBEG?
>>
>>54819214
Ugh
>>
>>54818041
could someone upload it here? please :^v
>>
>>54819192

Why would I expect my DM to allow a race from the Elemental Evil Players Companion in his non-EE camapign?
>>
>>54819060
Iowing shouldn't have to explain the value of knowing stuff. Not just making skill checks, but getting to roll flat Int checks to remember stuff your DM said months ago that you couldn't be bothered to keep track of.
>>
>>54819268
Are you genuinely retarded, or just baiting?
>>
ELDRITCH BLAAAAAST
>>
>>54819317

Obscure shit is obscure.
>>
>>54819125
>it's stupid to expect that uncommon race to be acceptable.
Adventurers are pretty uncommon too. Most DM's shouldn't let you play them
>>
>>54819232
For once that might be a fitting name.
>>
>>54819125
>tfw current party is a aasimar, lizardfolk, tabaxi, kenku and furbolg
>>
>>54819125
>>54819386
Have you not played a commoner campaign? Actually are there civilian classes in 5e? Seems like the backgrounds are solid enought o replace the old stuff.
>>
>>54816484
The hilarious thing is that you're probably a /pol/ack and you don't see the hypocrisy of your post.
>>
>>54819416

This is the kind of fucking shit I hate. Bunch of mary sue race bullshit.
>>
>>54819436
whats hypocritical about that? Seems like some pretty cut and dried cultural genocide. Is it betraying those ideals somehow?
>>
>>54819125
> official mainline races are the same as my homebrew anime character
ah balls i've been baited good and proper by this one

>>54819268
neither dragonborn nor goliaths are in EE, what are you talking about
>>
File: 85812.jpg (11KB, 170x198px) Image search: [Google]
85812.jpg
11KB, 170x198px
>>54819416
>aasimar
>lizardfolk
>tabaxi
>kenku
>furbolg
>>
>>54819416
I really like the race options in Volo's. I'm not sure any of them are balanced (Firbolg Druid, Tabaxi Rogue, etc.) but they're much more interesting to me than the Humans and Tall Humans and Short Humans and Short Humans and Short Humans in the PHB.
>>
>>54819519
Goliath are EE, but they are also in Volos
>>
>>54819608
Oh yeah, my bad.
>>
>>54817491
Now THAT is a Paladin
>>
>>54819602
>Firbolg
>not being stone-thinker human

>tabaxi
>not being cat human

What? How are they any different? I can understand monster races, but not these ones.
>>
>>54819416
Which one are you? Or are you DMing?
I've always wanted to play a Kenku
>>
>>54819416
I used to not understand why 2e put hard level limits on nonhumans. Then I played with 3e and beyond where it was nothing but weird special snowflake races all around me, and I saw what Gygax was trying to prevent. I'm the only human in the game I play in with three tieflings and a dragonborn. I tried playing an elf in Pathfinder Society and never got placed a table with fewer than two kitsune. The others were usually something weird like wayangs. The only humans were invariably playing pregens that the DM gave them.
>>
>>54817491
That's a really cool twist, but how did you reveal it to the party?
>>
>>54819440
>You can play a game where you become so powerful you can stop world changing events
>But fuck you if you play a lizard person when you do it, you mary sue
>>
>>54819679
Nah, Lizardfolk are mostly alright. Just folk.
>>
If you had to lock PHB nonhuman races to certain classes, how would you do it?
>>
File: a450vMw.jpg (296KB, 1500x1941px) Image search: [Google]
a450vMw.jpg
296KB, 1500x1941px
What is /5eg/'s favorite Sorcerous Origin?
>>
>>54819679
>i need to be special snowflake! look at me!

Sorry, but you're just as bad as the "that guy" wanting to play a kitsune. Deal with it, snowflake.
>>
>>54819416
>the walking circus
>>
>>54819734
I don't like any of the ones in the PHB, might like to use the wild magic table as an optional thing for characters though regardless of origin.
>>
>>54819734
Storm. I like lightning and flying and shieet.
>>
>>54819732
Don't, that's fucking stupid
>>
>>54819669
It's mainly because it's the first new game since Volos came out, so we all wanted to try the new things. Only one of the players were picking a volo race because they wanted to play a weird snowflake race.
Last game was just Dwarf, Human, two half elves and a halfling

>>54819664
Lizardfolk Cleric
>>
>>54819660
But Firbolg are significantly further from humans than Elves, right? Elves are humans that don't need to sleep and like forests. Firbolg are humans who don't use names,

So I'm hugely simplifying the whole thing, but Firbolg are still weirder than Elves, right? Elves are humans with pointy ears who don't sleep as much and can see in the dark; Firbolg are huge grey-skinned humans who live in the wilds and hate money and don't use names and mostly just want to be left alone, and (really most importantly) aren't one of the same four bloody Tolkein races that every single fantasy setting has to include now.

Tabaxi are basically cat humans though yes.
>>
>>54819734
None of them, I don't like sorcerers.
>>
>>54819841
Oh, I forgot to delete the first part. Balls.
>>
>>54819822
Not really, I'm just an asshole.
>>
>>54819841
Okay, so a quirk of their culture makes them superior to all other races, then?

They're smart commie half-orcs, nothing more than that.
>>
>>54819907
>smart commie half-orcs
Oh, forgot the gray skin - that changes everything!
>>
>>54819779
I use it for non casters using spell scrolls, or casters trying to use higher level spell scrolls, or during counterspell duels and stuff.
>>
>>54819734
Draconic, as it's only non shitty one
>>
>>54819907
Posts like these make me wonder what people like you actually want from a non-human player race
>>
>>54819907
I said they're more interesting than the core PHB races, and now you're getting upset because you've read that as "better than everything else?"
It's starting to read like you have an axe to grind about non-core races that you're projecting onto this conversation.
>>
>>54819734
Storm. Flying and lightning is awesome.

2 levels of tempest cleric make it even better, with full armor/weapon proficiency and maxed lightning bolts.
>>
>>54819734
Storm and Phoenix Sorcery are both pretty fun. I can't pick between the two though.
>>
>>54819984
>more interesting
>does not equal better (although not mechanically)
Where were you going with this?

I love non-core races, but they're just as human as the elves, or dwarves, because they can be broken down the same way.

Warforged?
>human but magical robot
Elves?
>nimble human also old

They can be broken down the same way, I was more arguing against your breakdown of races - I get that it's more interesting to play a goblin, I know because I'm currently playing one, but your breakdown of the races was moronic, seeing as you were trying to prove a point with it.
>>
>>54820068
So is the problem that you chose not to read this:
> So I'm hugely simplifying the whole thing, but Firbolg are still weirder than Elves, right?
Or what?
I am aware that I was massively simplifying. I even said it, right there, in the post you're getting mad at. The point was that Firbolg and Tabaxi and Kenku are further removed from Normal Humans than Elves and Dwarves and Halflings.
And if you're arguing with that I really don't know what to say to you. You've already taken all the fun out of a simple post I made on /tg/ and I'm not really interested in going much further.
>>
If your party ever strays from a dwarf cleric, elf wizard, human figher, half-orc barbarian, and halfling rogue your game sucks and you're not having fun.
>>
Alright /5eg/, new DM here and I'm drawing a blank. What's an interesting combat encounter for 5 lvl 3 PCs(mostly casters) and 3 lvl 3 NPCs that are traveling through an underground tunnel towards the surface?
>>
File: 1435696406091.gif (2MB, 311x164px) Image search: [Google]
1435696406091.gif
2MB, 311x164px
>>54819734

Speaking of this, what's the best origin to mix with a couple Warlock levels for Eldritch Blast spam goodness?
>>
>>54820004

Dat MAD tho.
>>
>>54820153

Too late, anon! The world is already being overrun by parties of half-orc clerics, elf rogues, human barbarians, dwarf fighters, and worst of all, GNOME WIZARDS!
>>
>>54820171
What anime/whatever is that gif from? Google search shows nothing.
>>
What do you guys feel about "dream sequences" as a means of story telling? I am considering 2 things. 1 is having my warlock be visited in their nightmares by their patron to learn some cryptic information about it. 2 is delivering some plot info to the players by them finding a wizards scrying orb, and being able to temporarily have some images "flash before their eyes" to get a glimpse of the plot. Is this too tacky?
>>
>>54820227
wait a minute...
>>
>>54820155
http://kobold.club/fight/#/encounter-builder
Go crazy, bud.
Filter by difficulty and environment (after you enter your PCs) and hit generate encounter until something that's an interesting idea comes up.
>>
Jolly and clever halfling or bombastic "im a huge hit underwater" triton for my upcoming bard character
>>
>>54820183
True.

I rolled up a half-orc which takes care of most of the heavy armor, dumped dex b/c I don't need heavy armor and seeing what happens on the battlefield is good for spells anyway, kept it at 13 wis and picked utility instead of combat cleric spells, and boosted the fuck out of Charisma.

Not optimal, but it works.
>>
Im a paladin level 4 along with a bard, warlock, cleric, and ranger/rogue and this really seems to be the level that sucks ass for half-casters. Is there hope at the end of the tunnel?
>>
How does a war cleric fighter multiclass compare to just playing a paladin?
>>
>>54820351
Depends on what you MC with.
>>
>>54820366
He said war cleric and fighter
>>
I'm making a parkour character, going Thief for Second Story Work, Athletic, Charger, Mobile, you name it.

But I can't really make sense out of the jumping rules. Like, can I jump diagonally and/or downwards? Say, I make a Long Jump, aiming for a lower place (from a rooftop to the streets for example) - can I do it without a roll if the distance between the rooftop and the street is within my maximum Long Jump distance?
>>
File: potato.gif (2MB, 240x180px) Image search: [Google]
potato.gif
2MB, 240x180px
>>54820408
Welp
>>
>>54820351
Sort of? You'll have more utility but less damage burst, and your second attack will probably be delayed.
>>
Thinking about making a fighter/rogue that'll be using a heavy crossbow. Playing Variant Human and I'm stuck on if I should take Alert first or Sharpshooter first.
>>
>>54820534
Sharpshooter is godly, especially at lower levels. Take it.
>>
In doing a paladin/warlock multiclass, what's the optimum level balance?
>>
>>54820605
Depends on what you want them to be able to do.
>>
>>54820605
I'm curious. What's the character's backstory? How did they become both a paladin and a warlock?
Optimal is probably just warlock 2 or 3 (or 4 for ASI) and the rest in paladin.
>>
I wanna make a beholder villain. How do I do it? What is an interesting motivation for such a creature?
My players are starting at level 3. Is that a problem? I never DMed before
>>
So I wanna play pic related, but the whip is fucking garbage on its own. I've taken the dueling fighting style and I'm rolling Monster Hunter fighter archetype for superiority dice. Is there any other way to help maximize my damage output with the low base damage die?
>>
>>54820705
$50 says Castlevania man.
$10 on Indy just in case.
>>
File: 10212-SimonBelmont.gif (55KB, 317x476px) Image search: [Google]
10212-SimonBelmont.gif
55KB, 317x476px
>>54820705
Forgot image...
>>
File: 1478199213469.jpg (37KB, 600x528px) Image search: [Google]
1478199213469.jpg
37KB, 600x528px
>>54820724
>>54820727
I don't think anyone would've bet otherwise.
>>
>>54820693
Something I'm drafting up still. Planning crown paladin / fiend warlock. Maybe not the most optimum combination of subclasses, but it just seems a hell of a lot of fun to play up the hell knight-ish angle. Debating tiefling to double down on that (and gain hellish rebuke), but it's also not necessarily the best choice.

Still mentally kind of figuring out exactly what his character would be - somewhat want to know what campaign he would be played in so I can make something that fits.
>>
>>54820450
if the lower thing is far enough down you'll start taking fall damage, and I don't think you can "jump downwards" to mitigate that. rolling or tumbling to mitigate fall damage isn't in the rulebook, but it's something you can reasonably do in real life so I guess it's up to the DM.
i assume you can jump diagonally, yeah.
>>
My character just got a lot of money and wants to make a gift for his Goblin knight friend (one of the other PCs). The gift will be an exotic mount.

What would be a cool and useful mount, while still being somewhat acquirable with lots of gold? The adventure is mostly a dungeon crawler, so I don't want to give him a huge mount.
So far I'm tending to a Giant Spider. This way he could walk along walls.
>>
>>54820705
Fighter/rogue, get sneak attack dice on it?
>>
Why do the Icons of the Realms adult dragon minis have large sized bases instead of huge, has anyone else besides looked into 3d printing to fix this
>>
>>54820705
>>54820727
Steps to become a belmont:
1. Pick Paladin with a whip
2. Grab Spell Sniper and Booming Blade
3. Use your divine smite whenever you cast Booming Blade

For extra meme points, play a bugbear
>>
>>54820778
Correction: conquest paladin. Just waking up here and fucking tired.
>>
>>54820778
Which class did he start with and which is the dip/change?
I made a warlock who, after a few levels, had a dramatic shift in character after the party's cleric who had been trying to redeem him died. I then dipped into vengeance paladin to sort of honor her.
>>
>>54820724
>>54820727
Monster Hunter is not a bad call. Some Levels into Revised Ranger for Hunter or Monster Slayer can add to your damage with Hunter's Mark + Colossus Slayer/ Slayer's Eye. Also Rogue could work for sneak attack.

Partially unrelated anyone think this class can work as a decent Whip toter?
>>
>>54820819
Why spell sniper?

>>54820778
Some players pick their character concept first, and some do the mechanics first. There is no way this will lead to any arguments.
>>
>>54820704
You should read Volo's Guide to Monsters if you haven't yet. It has an extensive section on Beholder lore, including origins, different types, lair maps, roleplaying tips, and battle strategies
>>
>>54820819
>i'm a guy who just whips things with a holy whip
>BETTER CAST MAGIC ALL THE TIME
No. Straight Paladin with a whip is fine to replicate a Belmont. SCAG memery is unnecessary.

Here's a better idea if you really need to be a faggot: play a Paladin (or any other martial) and take the Hexblade archetype from Warlock instead of one from your class. Boom, you have a magical weapon and can throw down on vampires if they ever show up.
>>
>>54820857
Holy fuck stop trying to find excuses to post this
This is the flimsiest one yet
>>
>>54820876
booming blade's range is only 5ft, regardless of the reach of the weapon.
>>
>>54820819
Booming Blade has a range of 5 feet, anon
>>
>>54820915
That's why you get Spell Sniper, anon
>>
>>54820837
Paladin. Dipping into warlock.

I'm not necessarily super concerned about heavy optimization (I'll probably go 1/1 first and go from there, or 3/1 first; not intending to pickup +CHA to EB and instead grabbing invocations to double down on character concept / flavor), but I would like to know what the "best" route is to make sure that I am not overlooking anything super bloody obvious.

Was kind of thinking of going 11/9 (and yes, I know deftness of planning level 20 builds) so I could grab improved divine smite and still get 5th level slots off warlock.
>>
Why do wizard nerds always get butthurt when sorcerer chads steal their gfs?
>>
>>54820949
Because it was multiple sorcerer chads and they can't twin spells
>>
>>54820705
I'm also thinking of taking the charger feat when I hit next level. Can you take the dash action before a move action? I'm thinking of going
>Dash 10 to reach distance
>bonus action attack
>move away
>rinse and repeat on next turn
>>
>>54820876
I do loose concept > how the mechanics will work and if it will be fun > flesh out character from there to fit the campaign and the party. I don't want to make him flat out antagonistic, or a bad fit to the party.

And after playing a barbarian for the last (year?), I am kind of hungering for the more flexibility in what I can do mechanically.
>>
>>54820985
>Can you take the dash action before a move action?
What the fuck
>>
Bugbear battlemaster with lunging attack and a reach weapon. Too memey?
>>
>>54820705
Be a Herald Barbarian and burn / zap everything with your aura in lieu of relying on more limited superiority die. Take 1-2 levels of Fighter to get Dueling and Action Surge.

Whip + Rage + Dueling + aura zap = good damage for a shieldguy.
>>
>>54820985
Move isn't an action. It can be used at any point during your turn. This is why you can attack > move > attack > move, for example (if you have enough hits). Why do you even need to Dash? And be aware you're going to be constantly eating attacks of opportunity for moving away from them.
>>
>>54820779
>if the lower thing is far enough down you'll start taking fall damage

The how should I count the distance? Will my jumping distance count (since that's how long I "fall") or the actual vertical distance?

Also, since I can easily jump 10+ feet high, will I take fall damage from that too? That sounds quite silly.
>>
>>54821046
Not memey enough. Multi into Mystic for Giant Growth and Ranger for Tree Form.
>>
>>54821063
You need to use the Dash action to get the bonus action shove attack from the Charger feat
>>
File: PepeAngry.jpg (19KB, 403x392px) Image search: [Google]
PepeAngry.jpg
19KB, 403x392px
>>54820949
SORCEROR NORMIES LEAVE REEEEEEEEEEEREEEEEEEEE
>>
>>54821063
>>54821029

So I thought dash was separate from the basic movement because it's classified as an "action". I would dash because with the charger feat you can make an attack as a bonus action after you dash and if you move at least ten feet before making the attack you add 5(I think?) damage to the attack. With the whip having reach, I would be outside of the enemy's opportunity attack range.
>>
>>54821088
If the fall is a result of your jump, subtract your own jump height from the distance fallen (or don't start counting fall distance until you've passed the elevation you jumped from). If you're just standing or walking and fall, your jump height is irrelevant. The idea is that you should NOT be able to jump straight up and land in the same spot and hurt yourself.
>>
>>54821091
What class are you?

>>54821114
Dash is an action. Movement is not an action. Think of Dash as being an action that doubles your movement.
>>
>>54821114
If you'll be limiting yourself to only one attack per round like that you may as well find some Rogue levels. Take Fighter to 4 (and later 6) just for your Battlemaster shit and ASIs, then go Rogue the rest of the way.
>>
>>54821114
>>54821131
Neither of you are exactly correct. Dash is an action that adds an amount of movement on the current turn equal to your speed.
>>
>>54821155
That is more correct, yes.
>>
>>54820534

Crossbow Expert is a mandatory first feat. Fuck reload times.
>>
My GM is having me make a sort of rival/antagonist character for the group I'll be playing. 8-10 level range currently, dunno for certain. I was thinking a Human Variant Vow of Treachery Paladin. Any suggestions for build and gearing? 12, 14, 16, 9, 14, 17 is my current stat spread from rolls, to be allocated how I like.
>>
>>54819732
everyone gets PHB beastmaster, so finally V human can complete with the other overpowered races
>>
>>54821235
>only one class is allowed

Genius. Why aren't you at Wizards?
>>
>>54820949

MUH TIIIIERS!
>>
>>54821201
>reload times.
You haven't actually read the rules, have you?
>>
>>54821135

So maybe I'll multiclass into rogue. Inquisitive any good for a subclass?
>>
>>54821283
You'll want to be a Swashbuckler so you can always have Sneak Attacks, given that you'll be charging away from the party.
>>
>>54821259
i already am
>>
>>54821283
Sure, if your DM lets you multiclass UAs, which they shouldn't.
>>
>>54821559
There is no one on this planet who is worried about a multiclassed INQUISITIVE being too powerful.
>>
>>54821201
Anon, crossbows don't HAVE reload times.
>>
File: cuckville.jpg (7KB, 200x208px) Image search: [Google]
cuckville.jpg
7KB, 200x208px
This guy is considerer like the maximum authority in D&D in reddit, basically any question about running a game that you ask there you will be redirected to "watch colville, he made an episode on that".

What are /tg/ thoughts on him?
>>
>>54821697
Does a fantastic job conditioning his hair.
I bet you he doesn't over-shampoo like most people.
>>
>>54821697
He has good advice
>>
>>54821697
Joke's on you, we like him here too. Go whine and call people cucks somewhere else.
>>
>>54821729
D&D related, but if you read his twitter he talks about lgbtqbbq+ struggle, giving reparations to black people.... he is a full blown SJW.
>>
The Sentinel feat lets you use your reaction to attack an enemy who attacks an ally, right? So if I hit an enemy who's attacking a teammate, could I use Maneuvering Attack to move the teammate out of the enemy's reach? In what order would everything be resolved?
>>
>>54821697

I like his videos. I feel like Colville is about as close to your 'average' dungeon master of any of the celebrity YouTube GMs out there.
>>
>>54821764
I honestly don't give a shit about that kind of stuff. I watch his d&d stuff, I don't care about twitter at all
>>
>>54821697
Don't agree with everything he says, but he has good ideas and conveys them in a decent way
>>
>>54821764
Thankfully that doesn't really show in his D&D videos
>>
>>54821764
>if you read his twitter
lol
>>
>>54821764

It's possible to respect a person's expertise on a subject while disagreeing with their personal politics.
>>
File: 614VmsFwoNL._SX355_[1].jpg (22KB, 355x351px) Image search: [Google]
614VmsFwoNL._SX355_[1].jpg
22KB, 355x351px
>>54821764
>>
>>54818373
I missed that session, but i we got kicked and one character died. I think they were already tired or something, though.

>>54819125
I'd rather have Goliaths in my game, than half of core races, to be frank.

>>54819734
Storm. I kind of like the Draconic, but i don't want to be half-scally.

>>54821697
Colville IS pretty cool. I also like his presentation and i think his advices are pretty spot on.

He is liberal, though it probably doesn't leak into his videos. What's worse, though, he liked the "Greyhawk initiative" and 4e. How can you trusts someone who liked THAT?
>>
>>54821842
An SJW who liked 4e, I wish trump really were hitler and rounding up all the Sjews so this guy would get gassed
>>
>>54821764
Yeah, and he's a way better person than you for keeping that shit away from unrelated topics. Go the fuck back to /pol/ and whine there, don't bring your baggage to /5eg/.
>>
>>54821764
So?
>>
>>54821842
He's one of those people who played 4E and said, "Cool, a lot of the stats that got in the way of RPing are gone, now we can just RP," about the system, not like all the shitheads here who said, "Oh no, all the stats that I relied on to RP are gone, now there's no way to do anything because my percentile chance of performing it isn't on my character sheet."

That aside, 4E also appealed to tactical wargaming mini grogs, which is fine.
>>
>>54821764
Your mistake was posting this before all the kids were out of school and back home. Try again in a few hours and you'll find more shitheads agreeing with you.
>>
>>54821697
>>54821764

Damn, son, look at how badly you judged the opinion of the less famous Matt. You should probably back off. Luckily for you, he made an episode about that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7j1skECRV4
>>
>>54821946
>implying the kids aren't the libshits
>>
File: hownicedamn.png (20KB, 478x292px) Image search: [Google]
hownicedamn.png
20KB, 478x292px
>>54821974
>>
>challeng rating signals that the creature in qustions should pose a decent challenge for a party of that level
>pit my level 3 noob players against an owlbear (challenge 3)
>they defeat it with no trouble whatsoever, not using gimnicks, just a straight fight

what the fuck. Decent challenge my ass
What are the actual guidelines for challenge rating?
>>
>>54821776
I would talk to your DM about it. Personally I feel like it should be resolved after it hits, but RAW says "when it attacks", not "when it hits" - so in theory it should allow you to interrupt the attack, move the ally out of the way, and the creature than wastes its attack.

This is counterbalanced by the fact you can only do this once per turn, it requires you to hit the OA, it uses resources to do so, and it only protects from OA's from the single creature you hit.

So I wouldn't really have any issue personally with saying "You can move an ally out of the way of an attack".
>>
>>54822029
I don't recall specifically how CR is supposed to work, but OFF HANDILY, aren't you supposed to be using the XP of the creature more so? CR is a guide for what might be level appropriate, but XP tells you how tough the fight will actually be.

And an equal CR fight is, by memory, not meant to be all that difficult - it's not a deadly encounter or something like that, and in a 3v1 they have action economy on their side.
>>
>>54822029
>What are the actual guidelines for challenge rating?
1. Don't use it.
2. Keep additional enemies hidden on a sideboard. Add them if the fight is too easy.
3. Adjust the stats of enemies currently in play if they're too strong / weak for the challenge you're trying to give the party. Make sure it's not an enemy or statistic your players have figured out yet (four identical goblins, the first one took 13 damage and didn't die, the next three take 10 and die).
4. Have enemies run away if shit's taking too long.
>>
>>54822029
No silly, CR means how many you have to put in an encounter to make it fair :^)
>>
File: kekistan.jpg (91KB, 1080x720px) Image search: [Google]
kekistan.jpg
91KB, 1080x720px
>>54821986
>>
>>54822029
>challeng rating signals that the creature in qustions should pose a decent challenge for a party of that level

Nope, CR 3 means it is a medium encounter for 4 lvl 3 non optimized players with no magical items and no feats. A medium encounter means that they will have to use some resources (spell slots and abilities) but that they should be victorious.

So no, if you want a challenge and your players are not brain dead you have to go at least more than hard. Preferably around deadly (or deadly + for a boss fight)
>>
>>54822029
Putting the party against a single creature is usually one-sided due to how many more actions they have. Rather than a single CR 3, try a few lower CR creatures
>>
>>54822113
>you will never have your couch and computer in your kitchen
>>
>>54822132
the fuck means "around deadly" and "deadly+"?
>>
>>54822136
Pretty sure his apartment is just that small
>>
>>54822164
See DMG, p. 82
>>
>>54819678
The party arrives to the alcove where the shadow of the cultists spirits chant "ONE MUST DIE, ONE MUST DIE" when they walk up to the sacrificial altar.

They put two and two together figuring out that the cult demands a sacrifice, to which the Paladin goes "If you insist then" and pitches his trident at one of the cultists, which strikes true and to his small shock, through to one of them and clatteres against the wall.

In their rage, the shadows rise towards the ceiling shaking the walls in their wrath as they shout "RISE WALTER, DESTROY THE ENEMIES OF OUR LORD! “
>>
>>54822164
Lets say deadly for your party is 3k, 2.7k to 3.3k is around the exact deadly mark

Deadly+ is 50%+ deadly, 4.5k or something. How many players do you have? I am running a campaign for 4 players who went from lvl 2 and now are lvl 6. I can give you some encounters I made that were challenging that they overcame when they were lvl 3.
>>
>>54822176
>4chan
>not living with mom and pops
>>
>>54822029
>What are the actual guidelines for challenge rating?
"A monster's challenge rating tells you how great a threat the monster is. An appropriately equipped and well-rested party of four adventurers should be able to defeat a monster that has a challenge rating equal to its level without suffering any deaths. For example, a party of four 3rd-level characters should find a monster with a challenge rating of 3 to be a worthy challenge, but not a deadly one."

But an owlbear is only a medium challenge: "Medium. A medium encounter usually has one or two scary moments for the players, but the characters should emerge victorious with no casualties. One or more of them might need to use healing resources."

But due to action economy, a single creature is rarely going to be a challenge for a party. You should count on adding some complications or weaker monsters alongside a stronger one.
>>
>>54822214
they are 5 players lv 3, but on average I'll be having sessions with 3 or 4.
>I can give you some encounters I made
you would be doing me a favor if you did
>>
So I just realized that a lot of spells say "radius" in the description. Doesn't that mean the spell is actually twice as wide as that? For example, moonbeam says it is a cylinder with a radius of 5 feet. So it would be a cylinder with a 10 foot diameter, meaning it's a 2x2 square AoE, correct?
>>
>>54822278
Yes.

>>54822230
The secret to bothering parties with a single creature is to give that creature multiple initiatives. At low levels, if it's something with multi-attack, take it away for the split initiative part.
>>
>>54822278
That's how geometry works, yes.
>>
>>54821776
How would the enemies OA work in this situation?
>>
>>54822278
I failed geometry and even i know that shit
>>
>>54822276
Okay, first of all challenge rating is for 4 players, if you have 5 and you just use CR of their lvl (instead of proper encounter building) then you are using easy encounters not even medium.

So yeah, I suggest to read the DMG guide on encounter building, with 5 players the rules will overestimate monsters even more because of the maths behind the calculations by the way.

Making the calculating a decent encounter would have been 2 owlbears, only 1 is just too easy.
>>
>>54822399
>I failed geometry
nigga how
you've been playing with shapes since you were six months old
>>
>>54822393

The movement granted by Maneuvering Attack doesn't trigger an OA from the enemy it hits.
>>
>>54822422
they were only 3 players when thye fought the owlbear though
>>
>>54822422
>>54822190
>go download the DMG from the pastebin
>it has been taken down

fugg
>>
>>54822445
Right, duh.
Is it possible for a creature to make an opportunity attack on its own turn anyway?
>>
>>54821776
Reactions, generally, interrupt the triggering action.
Sentinel triggers when a creature "makes an attack"--not when it lands one. It would make sense that the intent of this feat and feature is to potentially kill an enemy before it can harm your ally, not just to punish them for doing so.
>>
Now that the MEGA is gone, where can I download Volo's Guide to Monsters?
>>
>>54822564
D&Dbeyond
>>
>>54822543

If reactions can be made off-turn, I see no reason why they couldn't be made on-turn.
>>
>>54822547
If it's interrupting the "making an attack," is the attack still made and wasted? Or does the attacking creature retain its attack since it was "interrupted" and the target moved before the attack was made?
someone tweet Mearles
>>
>>54822684

I think it would initiate the attack, you make your attack, and if your attack doesn't kill the creature then it would complete its attack.
>>
>>54822684
I'd say it's wasted, same way that you lose a spell which is Counterspelled.
>>
>>54822564
Nice try, WotC. We're not giving up our remaining sources.
>>
>>54822543
I don't really get how you're thinking about this - in the example listed:

>Enemy attacks party member. You use OA from Sentinel to whack it, triggering Maneuvering Strike on the attack, moving party member out of the way of the attack.

Since you have to hit the creature to trigger maneuvering, and the rider effect of maneuvering is that the creature cannot use an OA on the party member you moved, whether or not it can make a reaction on its turn is inconsequential. But any other creature there would be able to make an OA; it just wouldn't be there turn. That aside - yes, absolutely it can make a reaction attack on its turn.

>>54822684
Yes, I would rule its still made and wasted - it went off while the attack was valid, but midway through the attack, it was no longer valid. The exception to this being if the player doesn't move far enough to get out of the attacks reach.
>>
>>54822684
No need errata already answers this
>>
>>54822029
The actual guidelines involve 6-8 encounters per day with one long rest. Of course they easily killed a single owlbear if they were fresh. You need to throw eight owlbears in a row at them for it to be a decent challenge.

In general, most DMs neglect to wear the party down over time as a normal part of the challenge of adventuring. If they only get in one fight per day, you have to throw ridiculously powerful shit at them.
>>
>>54822777
>>Enemy attacks party member. You use OA from Sentinel to whack it, triggering Maneuvering Strike on the attack, moving party member out of the way of the attack.
The attack triggered by the enemy's attack is NOT an OA, y'all.
>>
>>54822788

Where at? I'd like to see.
>>
>>54822684
I can see both happening in different situations, but this one (Sentinel + Maneuvering Attack) I'd go with a wasted attack.

Let's say an owlbear charges through some trees and attacks the Cleric.

Barbarian previously used his turn to Ready An Action, the trigger being "when the Owlbear runs through the trees".

Fighter is standing by with Sentinel.

While we know that the owlbear is going to move and attack the Cleric because the DM said it all at once, both those things haven't happened yet. The Barbarian interrupts the movement and does something to the owlbear before it even attacks. Perhaps he moves the Cleric away, interposes himself between the two such that the Owlbear can no longer reach the Cleric, or he performs a knockdown Shove on the Owlbear. All of these happen before the Owlbear attacks, and while it prevents the Owlbear from attacking the Cleric, it still has its attack available.

The Fighter, on the other hand, waits for the attack to come out before interrupting. Without Sentinel, he could still Ready something like "when the Owlbear attacks the Cleric", which is more powerful than the Barbarian's, but also more specific--Owlbear could have attacked Cleric, Fighter, or Barbarian. As a DM, I'd be careful with how specific or vague you let "when they attack" Readies be for this reason.
>>
>>54822812
It's the colloquial OA / AoO. We all know what was meant. Same way people say "surprise round".
>>
>>54822777
Oh I know, I just wanted to know sort of offtopic if it's possible to make an OA on your own turn
>>
>>54821697
DUDE I DON'T EVEN BOTHER READING THE BOOKS JUST MAKE IT ALL UP AS YOU GO LMAO IT'S OKAY TO FUDGE DICE ROLLS YOUR PLAYER'S TOTALLY WON'T LIKE EVEN KNOW LOL

Some of his advice is okay, but it's mixed in with so much dogshit and Critical Roll dicksucking that it's not even worth bothering with.
>>
>>54822203
Ah okay, and how did you change the stats/appearance of the base monster
>>
>>54822812
Er, right. Mental flub on that - but yeah, it's not an OA so it doesn't trigger sentinels "speed 0" rider.

>>54822890
As far as I know (not double checking book here), it is, but it would require something to voluntarily move during your turn, which is going to be really weird to have happen - you're looking at like a legendary action movement that triggers at the *start* of someone elses turn, not at the end of it.
>>
>>54822902
>make it all up and fudge rolls
Good advice desu
>>
>>54822873
Fair enough. But for the sake of people who aren't as solid on the feat, it's important to differentiate them (in my opinion). Because there are some things that trigger on OAs/OoAs that specifically shouldn't trigger here.

See >>54822930
>>
>>54822793
actually it was because my players are retarded

They were given a cursed horn item that, when blowing it, acts like the call animal spell except that its always angry as fuck and hostile towards the caller.
Funny thing is that it wasn't supposed to be hostile every time, only on a roll of 20 on a d20, but for some fucking reason he hasn't gotten any other result but that when using it, so it has turned into a joke because he summoned a hostile creture EVERY TIME he has used it so far.

The player, in his magnificent glory, decided to, every fucking morning, start by blowing the fucking horn and summoning a random creature that, so far, has only been brown bears, one dire bear and the last time an owlbear because there was one around the woods. Every fucking morning innawoods he rolls to wake up earlier than the rest of the party and wake them up by blowing the fucking horn of "summon pissed bear"

I love my player
>>
I'm modifying a beholder to make a giant medusa head.
>center eye becomes two
>other eyes become snakes
>every eye/snake now shoots petrifying ray
What CR? What do you guys think?
>>
At what level (if at all) would the DMs of /tg/ consider giving a player a flying mount such as a pegasus?
>>
>>54822968
That's glorious
>>
>>54818373

I chickened out (4th player didn't show, didn't wanna throw 3 players at it) and had it so that the Green Dragon found the cultists annoying, and agreed to leave if the characters slew them. One fireball scroll later, the deed was done.
>>
File: Medusa_the_Goddess_of_Darkness.jpg (778KB, 2000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
Medusa_the_Goddess_of_Darkness.jpg
778KB, 2000x3000px
>>54823033
Not a bad idea in all honesty, but every snake shooting petrification is a bit wild. What level party are you balancing this for? You could have the snakes spit venom for poison damage.
>>
>>54823045
Whenever you think you'll never again want height to be an interesting challenge.
>>
>>54823045
Honestly a flying mount is not a big deal if you know how to deal with it.
>>
>>54823144
so level 5
>>
>>54823154
I'm really bummed out because my DM just hates mounted combat period and I don't know why.
>>
>>54823167
Depending on party composition and how many other uses they have for their single daily 3rd-level spell slot.
People really overestimate how easy it is to use your highest-level spells. And some parties don't have anybody who can cast fly at all.
>>
File: 1307990619786.jpg (85KB, 1387x702px) Image search: [Google]
1307990619786.jpg
85KB, 1387x702px
>>54822788
>>54822836
Pls respod
>>
>>54823033
>>54823117
if you both come up with a good idea I'll check it later because I'm thinking of a castlevania campaign
>>
>>54823225
Does the attack granted by the third benefit of the Sentinel feat take place before or after the triggering attack?

>The bonus attack takes place after the triggering attack. Here’s why: the feat doesn’t specify the bonus attack’s timing, and when a reaction has no timing specified, the reaction occurs after its trigger finishes (DMG, 252). In contrast, an opportunity attack specifically takes place before its trigger finishes—that is, right before the target creature leaves your reach (PH, 195).
>>
>>54823193
Flying anything can be a pain in the ass to deal with, don't blame your DM.
>>
>>54823220
>>54823144
At that point you have one player that can fly across the chasm. What about the rest of the party? Who is to say that the pegasus would accept any of the other PCs as a rider?

>>54823281
not just flying but mounted combat in general. But is it really that hard to deal with?

>character flies
>ranged baddies start shooting arrows
>>
>>54823263

Well, shit. So Sentinel's reaction attack does work for punishment rather than prevention.
>>
>>54823193
>>54823330
It's just... annoying. If you incorporate a mount into your character, you want to bring it with you everywhere. Not only does it feel stupid when it happens and you do bring your horse into the dungeon, but it also usually makes the DM feel bad when he denies you access to your mount.
>>
>>54823330
The fact that players can fly means that the DM must have every encounter filled with things that have long range capabilities.

Want to use a chimera? Too bad your party just flies 20 feet above it and shoots arrows at it until it's dead.
>>
>>54823343
Correct. But punishment is still a good deterrent for intelligent enemies. Take Booming Blade for example.
>>
>>54823117
>What level party are you balancing this for?
I have no idea. My players just started at 3rd level but I'm planning ahead.

>You could have the snakes spit venom for poison damage
Great idea actually. Maybe the snakes could only paralyze, and her eyes are the ones who petrify.
She could also have the snakes bit players who get too close.
>>
>>54823367
To be fair you can do that with a lot of encounters. The trick to beating this is either ranged attacks or have some kind of objective for the party: for example, protecting townsfolk from a chimera. Sure you could fly in the air and hit it with ranged attacks until it dies, but then the villagers are dead meat.

>>54823365
I think most players would understand you don't take a horse into a cave. That's just the opportunity cost of specializing in mounted combat.
>>
What do I put in a one page overview of a setting?
>>
File: Screenshot_20170811-124744.jpg (192KB, 1312x447px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170811-124744.jpg
192KB, 1312x447px
>>54823263
What? That explaination reads like the person didn't even read the feat before they answered the question. Nowhere is a bonus action mentioned in Sentinel, and the timing IS specifically stated as "makes an attack"
>>
Would giving a Wizard the Warlock spell list + invocation spells seriously unbalance things?
>>
>>54823537
Correction: I read "bonus attack" as "bonus action" so my bad. But still, Sentinel specifies the trigger is "makes an attack"
>>
>>54823547
ABANDON THREAD
>>
>>54823518
Major locations and political factions, major historical events in the region, and at least a paragraph over the current political climate and significant threats (if they exist and are widely known)

Also include a list of which races are present in the setting.
>>
>>54823537
Idk man. That's just the Sage Advice ruling on it.
>>
>>54818743
>Halberds
>Not cool
What
>>
File: d4003b6337591a8a90e12285e427ae3a.jpg (111KB, 736x1098px) Image search: [Google]
d4003b6337591a8a90e12285e427ae3a.jpg
111KB, 736x1098px
>>54818743
lawbro would like a word with you
>>
>>54818743
Polearms are literally military weapons through and through, they are used as a primary weapon, while swords and other shit generally are an emergency backup.
>>
>>54819602
My DM thinks that Kobold is the most overpowered race in 5e due to the 'advantage as long as an ally is within 5 feet of an enemy' ability they get. However, kobolds will always have worse stats than every other person in the party by an enormous margin. 3 to 4 points less than nearly everyone else, due to the -2 STR +2 DEX thing.
>>
>>54823560
No, really, I want to make INT-based traditional casting warlocks for a conversion. Would it be seriously unbalanced?
>>
File: comic.jpg (909KB, 1214x1720px) Image search: [Google]
comic.jpg
909KB, 1214x1720px
>>54823661
god this game had such good potential, fucking Ubisoft
>>
>>54823705
So what you're saying is you want an Int Warlock with the Wizard's spellcasting progression?
>>
>>54820795
Get a drow Steeder if possible, I believe they are just straight upgrades to standard giant spiders.
>>
>>54823734
I'm planning it to be a Wizard with a swapped spell list and the pact of the chain features as an Arcane Tradition. Are Warlocks spells really that good?
>>
>>54823592
>Also include a list of which races are present in the setting.
This, especially highlighting how the races differ from their Faerun equivalents.

I'm currently prepping for an Eberron campaign, so I'm writing stuff to point out that the Faerun Orc fluff is irrelevant to Eberron. Also Dragonborn and Tieflings are unusual races.

So here's something I'm doing. Tell me if this would sound like a red flag to you if you were considering joining a game.

I have a list of common races for Eberron. Humans, Dwarves, Halflings, Goblinoids, Gnomes, Elves, Half-elves, Shifters, Changelings, Orcs and Half-orcs, and Warforged. Eberron has less common races as well, but because they're less common I'm limiting the party to one PC from an unusual race. Someone can play a Dragonborn, or maybe someone can play a Tiefling, or a Goliath, but only one unusual race out of all the PCs.

Would you be OK with that? I feel like with Goblinoids, full Orcs, and the Eberron races as viable choices people aren't doing too badly out of not necessarily being able to play a Tabaxi.
>>
>>54818454
Polearms are effective when you're grouped with other people using them. In a one-on-one, long weapons are suboptimal because you only get one chance to use them before they other guy closes in.

>>54823784
No, it's that wizards are really good and people were assuming you were trying to increase their spell list rather than swap it.
>>
>>54823854
Reach is a huge advantage in a fight... Oberyn vs the Mountain comes to mind.
>>
>>54823836
I fully support this. I've gone in the past so far as to say only half the party can play nonhuman; it was probably too much, but limiting the party to one exotic race is probably the only way to not end up with the typical Pathfinder party.
>>
>>54823854
>Polearms are effective when you're grouped with other people using them. In a one-on-one, long weapons are suboptimal because you only get one chance to use them before they other guy closes in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJcTD5qIZJ4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYKjoosrRRI
>>
>>54823854
>one chance to use them
Not at all, spears are incredibly quick and a decent fighter with a spear will overwhelm a good fighter with a sword 9/10 times, or 7/10 times if swordsman has a shield.

Spears are probably one of the best weapons to have in an unarmored duel simply because of how quick they are and how easy it is to go from stabs high, then low, then high again
>>
>>54823854
In a one and one reach is fucking amazing, if you have ever fought anyone using a polearm and you arnt, shit sucks. It is not only scary as fuck, but there isnt shit you can do besides charge, or try to swipe it aside. Even with a shield/buckler it doesn't help much. And swinging a polearm is generally faster than swinging a one handed sword, you can get a ton of acceleration and control with them. Even if someone does get in close, you always have the other end of the weapon you can use.
>>
>>54822564
the internet
>>
>>54823872
>Reach is a huge advantage in a fight... Oberyn vs the Mountain comes to mind.
I don't remember the book, but I just re-watched the scene in the show. The Mountain fights like a fucking idiot, and anyway Oberyn is using a very short spear, suitable for dueling, and has no actual reach advantage over the Mountain's sword.

>>54823910
>>54823974
Same comment. When I responded to >>54818454 it was my assumption that anon referred to actually long weapons ("polearms"), not a spear that's shorter than its wielder. I ain't got no problem with those.
>>
>>54823854
>Polearms are effective when you're grouped with other people using them. In a one-on-one, long weapons are suboptimal because you only get one chance to use them before they other guy closes in.

This is the dumbest post of the week in /5eg/ by far and the other day I read a guy who thought a +3 sword at lvl 3 wasnt a huge deal.

This is so stupid that I am going to guess that you are trolling. The only reason to use a sword over a Polearm is to have it as personal defense while walking in the town.

Polearms are to Swords like rifles are to pistols, there are no mechanical advantages of a pistol over a rifle in the battlefield, but pistols are used because they are easier to carry around for self defense. This is the reason why swords were never the main weapon of fighting in a battlefield (except in limited ocassions combined with shields, like the romans did).
>>
Lol I just got warned by a fanboy mod of Colville. Holy shit I thought that in Plebbit Colville was untouchable but even in /5eg/ you have to agree with him or be banned lol.
>>
>>54824206
screenshot or you a fake-ass nigga
>>
File: 1488405884011.jpg (92KB, 640x525px) Image search: [Google]
1488405884011.jpg
92KB, 640x525px
Does flying cavalry exist in your world, /tg/?
>>
>>54824081
>shields
>limited occasions
Excuse me? Shields were invented on every human continent, separately, because they were totally boss (pun intended).
Granted, they could be combined with various weapons (often spears), but for a long time they were the best way to defend yourself in a battle.
>>
>>54824242
I already closed the tab. No way of recovering it as far as I know.
>>
>>54824262
SWORDS were used in limited ocassions paired with shields.

Shields were used ALL the time, usually with spears.
>>
>>54824206
You were probably warned because you were commenting shit like >>54821986, which has literally absolutely nothing to do with /tg/.
Now stop trying to derail the thread or the fanboy mod will probably ban you.
>>
>>54824291
Fair enough, I misunderstood what you were saying.

So if katanas are objectively the best sword because they're Japanese steel, does that mean the yari and naginata are objectively the best weapons ever? :^)
>>
File: fuckweebs.gif (2MB, 387x217px) Image search: [Google]
fuckweebs.gif
2MB, 387x217px
>>54824325
Yes. Easily.
>>
>>54824325
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8traZev-PlM

fuck off weeb
>>
>>54824325
5/10, it made me rage for a sec
>>
File: Capture.png (2MB, 1275x554px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
2MB, 1275x554px
>>54824244
Eberron, so good lord yes. Dragonhawks are the man.
>>
>>54822913
Didn't. Let it keep all the stats and gave it undead type along with Plant.
Described it as an amorphous nightmare piece of gore, using the darkness to reveal something between a Shambling Mound and something like a gibbering mouther basically.
>>
someone make a new thread :(
>>
Tackling the Amber Temple in CoS this week, lads.

Part of me hopes the temptations and dark gifts we're offered will be tailored to our characters, but most of me knows the DM will half-ass it and dangle +2 shit in front of our faces.
>>
>>54824349
>>54824350
That's it. I'm sick of all this "Masterwork Halberd" bullshit that's going on in 5e right now. Naginatas deserve much better than that. Much, much better than that.
I should know what I'm talking about. I myself commissioned a genuine naginata in Japan for 5,318,008 Yen (that's about $49,000) and have been practicing with it for almost 2 years now. I can even cut slabs of solid longsword with my naginata.
Japanese smiths spend years working on a single naginata and fold it up to a million times to produce the finest blades known to mankind.
Naginatas are thrice as sharp as European polearms and thrice as hard for that matter too. Anything a halberd can cut through, a naginata can cut through better. I'm pretty sure a naginata could easily bisect a knight wearing full plate with a simple vertical slash.
Ever wonder why medieval Europe never bothered conquering Japan? That's right, they were too scared to fight the disciplined Samurai and their naginatas of destruction. Even in World War II, American soldiers targeted the men with the naginatas first because their killing power was feared and respected.
So what am I saying? Naginatas are simply the best polearm that the world has ever seen, and thus, require better stats in 5e. Here is the stat block I propose for Naginatas:
(Two-Handed Martial Weapon)
2d10 Damage, Finesse, Reach, Two-Handed
+5 to hit and damage
Now that seems a lot more representative of the cutting power of Naginatas in real life, don't you think?
tl;dr = Naginatas need to do more damage in 5e, see my new stat block.
>>
>>54824585
>slabs of solid longsword
kek
>>
>>54823397
You could do a few different things with the snakes. Paralysis beams seem fair, or maybe make several snakes each that have some sort of status effect? Making the snakes only bite players that get in close basically means that casters are going to be the most effective means of fighting them, which is bad since they already steamroll basically everything compared to martials.
>>
What's a good campaign to run for a first time DM that's not LMOP.
>>
File: ss (2017-08-11 at 02.14.26).png (16KB, 582x196px) Image search: [Google]
ss (2017-08-11 at 02.14.26).png
16KB, 582x196px
>>54821697
>>54821764
It only occasionally pops up in his videos too, but overall I think his videos are really entertaining.
>>
>>54824585
>(Two-Handed Martial Weapon)
>2d10 Damage, Finesse, Reach, Two-Handed
>+5 to hit and damage

What, no Thrown and Light property?
>>
File: shit pasta.jpg (159KB, 1500x1125px) Image search: [Google]
shit pasta.jpg
159KB, 1500x1125px
>>54824585
Look OP, I found a picture of your post.
>>
>>54824475
Cool, I think that makes for a much better final boss than a glorified mold problem
>>
New thread
>>54824875
>>54824875
>>54824875
>>54824875
>>
>>54820251
The devil is a part timer, the rest of the series is NOT like that.
>>
>>54817976
You need at least two warlock levels for Invocations and when you have 3 levels in warlock you could pick two of those things from that list, which still require you to be at a total level matching the invocation requirement based on anons post.

At that level you're usually flinging massive spells around or doing 3 to 4 attacks with +3 weapons anyway.
Thread posts: 383
Thread images: 33

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.