[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/BGG/ Board Game General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 305
Thread images: 51

File: BGG.jpg (195KB, 560x564px) Image search: [Google]
BGG.jpg
195KB, 560x564px
Board Game General.

Last thread:
>>54680058
Pastebin:
>http://pastebin.com/NA2W929q

What's the most you would ever pay for a game?

What's the most you ever have paid for a game?
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (210KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
210KB, 1920x1080px
>>54760776
First for never play with bots.
>>
>>54760776
>What's the most you ever have paid for a game?
About $350 for StarCraft and expansions
>What's the most you would ever pay for a game?
Right now probably $200 would be max. Though I have an urge to get into LCGs so it might be more once I'm done.
>>
>>54760776
Depends.
I fell for a meme back in November and I'm seriously debating between keeping it as it comes in and saving it to scalp later.
>>
File: l5r.png (541KB, 500x574px) Image search: [Google]
l5r.png
541KB, 500x574px
And a propos LCGs does anybody know how's the Legend of the Five Rings? Never played it in it's former iteration but it seemed interesting to a magic player
>>
I paid over £80 for Doom. Id probably spend £110 on a really high quality very well recommended game.

I very rarely get any play out of anything that is >30min 2 player games tho so it's still a stupid investment.
>>
>>54760776
I played the Avalon game with 6 for the first time in my life last week and I'd like to hear some opinions from more experienced players.

With this player count isn't it a lot harder for bad guys to win?
We were 4 good guys with Merlin and Percival and it seemed as this gave us huge advantage (in a 4 player team, one guy knew exactly who the bad guy is, and 1 guy knew 1 good guy for sure, when Merlin stayed low it was just a blind 25% pick for bad guys to kill him).

Also the game owner every 2nd or 3rd turn knew who is a bad guy just deducing from the players chosen for the mission.
I don't think bad guys showed it on their faces, it seemed more like he automatically assumed correct choices from game mechanics and, surprisingly, he was always right.

Doesn't the special good characters, make the play a bit unbalanced?
>>
>>54760776
can someone please explain this image. I want to play it.
>>
>>54761384
The bad team must remember who voted what and when did his vote change.

Percival will always look at Merlin
Merlin knows who the bad guys are

If you see a player that votes a yes to a mission he isn't included in it suggests he's Merlin (also voting no to a mission that previously succeeded but contains a bad guy). If you see a person changing his vote it might be Percival taking cues from Merlin.
>>
>>54761469
It's a hodgepodge of other game components designed to look cool, like the Cones of Dunshire.
>>
Is there something like Campaign for North Africa but in a medieval fantasy setting with magic and fantastical creatures?
>>
File: 1498969036431.gif (2MB, 390x205px) Image search: [Google]
1498969036431.gif
2MB, 390x205px
>>54757252
>it actually worked
Told you I could summon STEEV

>>54761844
Probably not, that level of simulation and time requirement is something you'll only find in wargaming. You could get the same effect in a fantasy setting by just having a very meticukous DM for any RPG though
>>
>>54760776
>most will pay
I'm willing to pay current market prices for 1860 which is sitting around $200USD

>most paid
Cave Evil, $250USD plus $75USD shipping to Straya, I have no clue why it cost $75USD when similar packages from US would only cost about $40USD. the guy who sent it did the worst job of packaging and caused it to get damaged while in transit due to negligence

can't say I was too pleased about that

>>54761844
the largest epic fantasy wargames I'm aware of are Titan, Divine Right and Dragon Pass, but none of those are Medieval-themed. Sword and Sorcery (70s hex-and-counter from SPI, not the new dungeon crawler from Ares) is another possibility, but I haven't really looked much into it and I don't believe that it's Medieval-themed

Dragon Rage is Medieval fantasy-themed, but the playtime for that is around 90 minutes on average, maybe also look into Albion: Land of Faerie and Fornaldar: Nordic Saga
>>
>>54759397
>Battle/Area control objectives only.
Probably wouldn't be horrible, might affect race balance a little, but go ahead and try it if you really want.

>Repeatable objectives.
This gives me a little more pause. This encourages players to attack the guy who is doing well, but it also encourages the guy who is doing well to turtle. And the possibility of pulling an objective that the map makes fairly defensible is suddenly a much more serious problem.

If you're worried about anticlimactic endings, you could always modify the win conditions to be X VP + Control of Mecatol, or require the winning objective to be a military one. Something like that feels like it would have less of an impact on the rest of the game.

>>54759491
Yeah, definitely at least those two.

>>54762381
<3
>>
>>54760776
$60
$50

desu I don't fuck around. My collection is hundreds strong and none of them are going to be overpriced toys. If you make your game that expensive it's because it's either a days long epic, it's just a pile of miniatures for manchildren, or it has some other stupid gimmick. None of which make a good game.
>>
>>54762937
Or they're OOP or have small / limited print runs like Splotter.
>>
>>54760844
Apparently you need to buy three core sets to have enough cards for multiple players

>citation needed
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ECPhTkQkRiA
Comment starts at the 6:40 mark
>>
>>54760776
You can pay people to game?!

$100 used Galaxy Trucker Anniversary

Honestly that's a lot and I regret it. I don't normally kickstarter and I am wary of investing a lot in a hobby where I don't have enough time nor friends to justify ANY purchases much less anything over $40. On top of that I keep winding up with games I thought would be amazing that are just meh.
>>
>>54761469
it's not monopoly, that's for sure
>>
File: ToC.jpg (908KB, 741x1024px) Image search: [Google]
ToC.jpg
908KB, 741x1024px
I know we got people into deckbuilding games but haven't seen much about pic related and whether or not I should get it, don't let me down /bgg/
>>
File: ffg fallout bullshit.png (92KB, 418x288px) Image search: [Google]
ffg fallout bullshit.png
92KB, 418x288px
Nothing good can come of this.
>>
>>54764498
>Bethesda's Fallout

:|
>>
Just bought Raiders of the North Sea, it's really fun.
>>
>>54764498
I'm actually worrying less about the Asmodee monster, the fact CMoN grabbed the ASoIaF book license from under their nose and is publishing that minis game while FFG still holds the TV license means they clearly haven't figured out how to ruin EVERYTHING on their own yet.........
>>
>>54761844
There was an old (and broken) hex and chit War of the Ring game
>>54764454
GMT is pretty good but I also haven't heard anything about the game, doesn't even look like a deck builder
>>
>>54764498
can't wait for another app-required IP franchise game!!!!
>>
What's the most you would ever pay for a game?
For the base game? Probably not more than $70, although $100 would be the hard limit. For getting all the expansions? No limit.

What's the most you ever have paid for a game?
Battlecon. I think I spent around $200 total on it, although you could argue that's split up between 4 releases.
>>
>>54764567
>fun

what is this fun you speek of?
>>
>>54760776
The most I've ever paid at one time was $70 for Doom (2016). If we are counting overall then I've dropped a few hundred on X-Wing I promise I can stop whenever I want

I think $70 is about the max I'd spend at one time for a game. Granted, that could change but either none of the more expensive games catch my eye or I know I couldn't find anyone to play it with
>>
>>54765477
He means smug feeling of superiority vs. the unceultured nongaming rabble
>>
>>54765477
>what is this fun you speek of?
It's when you play a game of no skill so you can feel smug superiority over your more intelligent brethren. (Take that, nerds!)
>>
About £50, I guess: I paid £54 for Star Trek: Fleet Captains, but I also backed Ghostbusters at the base pledge ($90?)
>>
>>54766118
Oh shit, you finally got fleet captains?
Did it live up to the hype?
>>
>>54761844
We are currently developing a game that's somewhat like that, but obviously not on such an enormous scale. Should hit Kickstarter around this time next year.
>>
>>54766164
I got it about a year ago... still haven't played it yet
>>
>>54766216
inb4 shilling
>>
File: IMG_0235.jpg (518KB, 1632x1632px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0235.jpg
518KB, 1632x1632px
Specter Ops guy here, I finished painting the last mini of the set, now I just need to paint the bases of all of them. I got a little tired near the end of this one so I started to take a couple of shortcuts to finish quicker
>>
>>54766216
The Campaign for North Mordor?
>>
>>54767899
Nice! You need to do a group shoot of the minis on the map. Doesn't need to be super close up, just give folks a frame of reference on how they'll look during play.
>>
>>54767899
THIN YOUR PAINTS
H
I
N

Y
O
U
R

P
A
I
N
T
S
>>
File: 2009_01_10_Fyrbrand.jpg (17KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
2009_01_10_Fyrbrand.jpg
17KB, 300x300px
>>54768148
could be worse
>>
Have you guys had fun playing adrenaline? I want a sort of tactical movement game that can play a decent amount of people. I've also looked at doom, but I'm not sure how I like the dice combat, especially if there are zeros on the dice.
>>
>>54768404
I played it once and didn't like it. The game is so hectic it basically has zero strategy - between your turns literally everything can happen so long term planing is basically impossible, it's just an exercise in finding the optimal move now.
>>
>>54767976
Thanks! I'll do that as soon as I paint the bases

>>54768148
I'd like to direct your attention to:
>I got a little tired near the end of this one so I started to take a couple of shortcuts to finish quicker
>>
>>54768593
Meant to reply to >>54768000 instead of >>54767976
>>
File: Bubba Fett1.jpg (147KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Bubba Fett1.jpg
147KB, 1024x768px
>>54768148
You obviously have NOT seen what /tg/ has to offer in the way of bad paint jobs...
>>
File: thin your paints.jpg (38KB, 727x522px) Image search: [Google]
thin your paints.jpg
38KB, 727x522px
>>54769379
Next, perhaps only 36 coats of paint...
>>
>>54769379
More like burger fett amirite?
>>
File: armageddon.jpg (18KB, 246x246px) Image search: [Google]
armageddon.jpg
18KB, 246x246px
Can anyone suggest a better bang for your buck Eurogame than this? Currently around $12, and it doesn't seem to have any glaring flaws.
>>
>>54769714
I picked up a copy of that recently - I haven't had a chance to play it yet. (I'm also GMing an RPG every other gaming session with my regular group.) But so far it looks decent, and for that price it would be worth it for the parts alone even if the game sucks.
>>
>>54769765
All I can think of when looking at the cover is how boring it would be to be a post-apocalyptic tour guide.
>>
>>54770114
>All I can think of when looking at the cover is how boring it would be to be a post-apocalyptic tour guide.
I bet Sacajawea had a good time
>>
>>54770283
ya cuz she was getting railed by that pure white dick the whole time
>>
>>54768455
Alright, thanks for the advice, I am indeed looking for something less hectic than adrenaline.
>>
>>54768455
That just means it's a better representation of a FPS, you should be thinking more tactical, not longterm strategic. Still think CGE overpriced the MSRP on it (but what else is new with them)
>>
Is Cthulhu Wars Onslaught 2 worth it? That is a lot of money that could buy so many other games.
>>
>>54771783
That's basically the crux of it. It's probably good, but it's probably not 4+ other games good.
>>
File: TotU-Board-Render.png (683KB, 1000x481px) Image search: [Google]
TotU-Board-Render.png
683KB, 1000x481px
Anybody playing Tyrants of the Underdark? Just got the chance to play with the expansions this weekend and thought they were an amazing step up. Also love this game to tears, I'll probably never play Ascension again
>>
File: zx02_layout[1].png (403KB, 700x397px) Image search: [Google]
zx02_layout[1].png
403KB, 700x397px
>>54764498
I could see this making a good game but I've got some serious concerns about replayability and themeing.

They're putting a lot of emphasis on the "What will be the consequences of your decision!" when after 2 plays you're going to know the consequences of your decision. Will they make you make tough choices even when you know the end result or will it just be right or wrong, now you know exactly what to pick for what you need. You could design this to keep it interesting even when you know what the cards say and aren't just reading them on the fly but I doubt Fantasy Flight cares about replayability. They're fine with having you play it twice and then needing expansions to keep going.

Themeing wise, they're not just using Fallout in general, the base kit is 4 and expansions will supposedly add things from other games. This means rather than leaving the text vague enough to have your own stories, they're gonna bank on the idea that "Oh man! I want character X to appear! I sure hope they include character X!"

I dunno. 2/10 hype. I'm not offended by the branding or going to buzz word it up, and I like the idea of sandbox roads to victory like Xia, but not much hope they're gonna do much with it.
>>
>>54772410
Yeah, I'm very, very slightly more optimistic after seeing the actual announcement, but I think you're identifying the right things to be worried about.
>>
>>54772410
>>54764498
Fallout is one of my favorite gaming franchises. I'm intrigued, but I don't expect much from it at the time. I'll wait and see what the jury has to say.
>>
>>54772410
The only Fallout game I'd play would probably be Sons of Anarchy or CitOW rethemed for New Vegas.
>>
File: pic1053354_md.jpg (113KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
pic1053354_md.jpg
113KB, 500x375px
How much would I ever pay?
depends. Years ago I would have said a small amount.

Most I ever paid.

350$ for the Axis and allies 50th anniversary edition
https://cf.geekdo-images.com/images/pic403523_lg.jpg

About 600$ for Twilight Imperium for the base game. The 2 expansions. All the stickers, reprinted cards, and other shenanigans to make the Shattered Ascension mod work.

Maybe I went a bit overboard for it.

But so far we've played more than 10 games and many more coming.
I have the players that have the time and willingness to see a full game to the end so it's been worth. Plus the cost was always incremental. SO I never saw the full amount in one go.
>>
>>54769395
I hate that I can still tell that was a Space Wolf.

And fucking hell, those pauldrons.

So, what games on kickstarter currently look worth backing?
>>
>>54760776
>Most you've ever paid?
Around $2k for Kingdom Death and all its expansions.

No regrets.

>Most I would pay?

Varies. I usually balance artwork, box weight and initial game intrigue/playability against each other to figure out if it's worth the price. If I'm paying 50, it needs to weigh like it's worth 50 and have god art and to pull my interest.
>>
>>54764498
Honestly, if it comes with cool fallout models for cheap, I'll probably by it.
>>
>>54772751
You see, I'm most worried about the jury because the jury seems to not care about replayability. It'll probably make a strong first impression, but the longevity of it is my biggest concern.
>>
>>54760776
hard to say. it depends mostly on how much disposable income I have.
$150ish for the Cthulu Wars Kickstarter.
>>
Any custom scenarios for A Game of Thrones board game that are good?

There's only a couple expansions officially. Would be interesting to brew a Robert's Rebellion or Aegon's Conquest scenario, though some of those might require a modified map.
>>
>>54772868

Isn't Axis and Allies not all that great of a game?

It would be more interesting if they did start date 1933 and no forced alliances.
>>
>>54773197
It's sort of Risk++. So, okayish.
>>
File: DSCF1197.jpg (2MB, 3648x2736px) Image search: [Google]
DSCF1197.jpg
2MB, 3648x2736px
>>54773197
Really depends on the version you play.
There have been a lot of axis and allies game since 1982.
The smaller ones are really like anon >>54773225
said, risk++.

When you start going into the bigger ones like, Axis and Allies 1940: pacific and Axis and Allies 1940: Europe, you end up with a pretty damn big board, and play time while still having a lot of flexibility for your strategy on the remainder of the game.

Most other axis and allies game, there's an optimal build to play and win. It makes the game fun for 3-4 games then it becomes unplayable because you can already see how the next 6 turns are going to play out after the first turn. Choices Becoming meaningless.
>You have to buy this this and this turn 1 and attack this and this otherwise it's GG.

After about 30+ games of 1vs1 of a&a 1940: global, we have yet to feel this however. (although there is some obvious railroad choices you have to do every game, like taking out France turn 1 with Germany.)
We still managed to come up with new and interesting strategies.

I would not qualify it as a very deep and intricate Wargame however. It's a good spring board for more complicated stuff.

It's clearly not the best, or deepest strategy game but for the money I spent and time/fun I got from it, I don't regret my choice.
>>
>>54773121
We know how it works, look at how it went with fucking Monopoly Gamer.
Cult of the New gushes about it on release and creams their panties, ignores obvious flaws and dismisses any rational game discussion.
Couple of months in, flaws become apparent, Cult will still argue about the positive points, and will just go"hey it was fun while it lasted"
Then the new flavor of the month comes around and you never hear from the game again, Cult of the New is too busy gushing about the new toys.
>>
>>54772011
My favorite deckbuilder. The board is horrible though. From the mostly unpronounceable names to the just general boring design. The expansions are really cool, though I wasn't very impressed with the discard mechanics.
>>
most i would ever pay?
whatever it will cost me to grab Kingdom Death when I finally decide to pull the trigger on it.

most I HAVE paid?
Scythe kickstarter edition. in canadian it was like 175 or some shit.
>>
>>54773849
>hype cycle's a bitch
This is why I find I'm much more relaxed at conventions now that I've said no buying a game before it's been out at least 6 months, and ideally 12+. Ensures I playtest it outside the hype cycle, the negative reviews have started to come out, the hype reviewers are starting to say X has fallen flat and they've gone back to an old favorite instead. Best of all I'm never running to grab one of 50-100 copies of the new hotness for sale; have that extra cup of coffee instead, stroll in going to the used/ding&dent booths, grab Fire in the Lake for $28 because the shrink wrap is torn, it's a much happier way to live.
>>
>>54773849
You see, I don't really trust you guys either because you take a ridiculous anti cult of the new stance as well, which is just as bad. I don't find myself holding as extremeist of views as that. I suppose I know what to look for, I'll get my make up my own mind when I see reviews what specifically to look for.
>>
>>54772410

i sometimes wonder if FFG products are really only meant to be interesting for a single playthrough
>>
>>54774585
I'd say the LCG/X-wing/Armada are the only ones that don't apply to this; but FFG also publishes the 2.0/deluxe edition of LotR: Confrontation, not-Dune, and a few others that're pretty solid. They do have more than a few games where there's issues that have to be solved via expansion or 2E
>>
>>54773849
Serious question, what are the flaws of monopoly gamer, or is the flaw it being monopoly?
>>
>>54774585
>>54774677
FFG products are made to make you spend money
>>
>>54774846
It's reduced monpoly + mario kart rng take that + characters sold separately.
It's probably more enjoyable than pure monopoly, but still a piece of shit.
>>
>>54774846
It's a roll and move with no actual decisions to make; if you had all the extra characters and each player had 3 and could choose to swap between that'd give you A decicion to make, but there's really not much there other than hope you roll good so you move faster/get coins/beat bosses.

>>54774853
If there's a publisher who doesn't want me to spend money I have yet to find them
>>
>>54774979
>If there's a publisher who doesn't want me to spend money I have yet to find them
FFG.
Reprint the fucking Civilization expacs already you FUCKS
>>
>>54774585
Their earlier stuff wasn't bad. Hell, I really love Rebellion. It's mostly lately between Mansions of Madness 2nd Edition and Arkham Horror LCG where if you replay it, I hope you have 1 new person or no one will enjoy themselves and you better pretend you don't know anything because you'll probably solve the scenario. They learned their miniatures games make way more money than boardgames so they're out to make their boardgames require constant updating as well.
>>
>>54774006
That's the best way to be, just have to hope the stuff that you end up wanting doesn't go out of print while it's in the cool down period.
>>
>>54774979
By that I meant that many FFG products have a core set that's incomplete. It gives you a taste for the game but if you want the complete experience then you have you buy more of their products (looking at you x-wing, destiny, and every LCG they've made)
>>
>>54775039
They're not even printing the base game anymore, why would they buy an expansion?

>>54775071
Honestly it started because I had such a small budget I wanted to playtest everything first, and it's much easier to do at cons (especially a year after the KS/release is over). The amount of truly good games that are coming out year after year, it's not a big deal.

>>54775100
Oh they've definitely gone the lifestyle game route, but that's the smart move with as much as they spend on production, and the fact they've had plenty of games that were only marginal successes. Plus if you buy the Star Wars license (or any other big money one) you're an idiot if you don't go lifestyle, it's expensive to buy those right and you know the products sell.
>>
File: pic3596073_md.jpg (105KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
pic3596073_md.jpg
105KB, 500x500px
so like

what does BGG think of the DnD board games? I got Temple of Elemental evil but my issue with that is that the difficulty is fucking outrageous, it didn't help that we needed to switch out the included dice for one of my gamescience dice for the game to become, you know, playable, because the included dice was balanced poorly and was heavier on the higher number side
>>
>>54775154
>Temple of Elemental Evil is rigged against the player

That's fucking beautiful.
>>
>>54775154
Punishes you for dungeon crawling. You need to explore a new tile every turn in order to avoid drawing cards from the events deck, and nearly all events are negative. Most new tiles spawn monsters when placed and they invariably attack first, so you're constantly pushed forward and explore or get punished, then get into lots of fights that whittle you down.
It's just kind of frustrsting that the game sets the pace and you're just along for the ride.
>>
>>54775146
>>54775039
>>
>>54772868
I've wanted to play this game for a long time, but I don't have a play group that is solid enough that would play. Can barely get people to sit down for Terra Mystica. I understand with TI though, it's fairly daunting.
>>
>>54775421
I swear I just looked at their product listing and didn't see Civ, either it's time for bed or a new prescription. Don't trust them it's on the boat though, they've been known to lie (and/or the Chinese manufacturer fucks up an entire batch)
>>
>>54775421
Now give me my Twilight Imperium expansions!
>>
>>54775893
>>
anyone here own gloomhaven? is it good?
>>
>>54775916
Why don't they reprint these. They're basically essential and make it a much better game.
>>
>>54776017
Don't rule out the possibility of a new edition being announced this week
>>
>>54776048
>this week
What's so special about this week.
>>
I recently purchased Tzolk'in and I gotta say; I love spinning gears.
>>
>>54776056
Gencon starts next week
They've already announced a new game yesterday and a new game today
>>
>>54776084
I got my dick caught in them and had to sell the game.
>>54776089
Oh damn I gotta keep up.
>>
>>54776098
Imagine getting a chunk of foreskin in your second hand boardgame.
>>
>>54776089
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK SERIOUSLY SHIT, by the way this isnt sarcasm im actually freaking out
>>
>>54776104
>foreskin
What kind of sick fuck do you take me for.
I was massaging my shaft.
>>
>>54772011
Like it a lot. Best deckbuilder/one of the best dudes on the map gaems for me right now. The expansions are on the way.
>>
>>54772410
Yep, pretty much these. FFG could just take a franchize and add something new to it (you can`t write things worse than Bethesda), but instead we gonna get collection of bethesda-era fallout memes in the box.
>>
>>54772782
>Sons of Anarchy or CitOW rethemed for New Vegas.
Never played SoA, but i like this post. Also i`m fine with rethemed Tyrants of the underdark. Fallout: Gods and Monsters of New Vegas or smth.
>>
>>54776360
>Fallout: Gods and Monsters of New Vegas or smth.
???
>>
>>54776426
?
>>
>>54776426
When CitOW goes out of print I wonder if I can get away with kickstarter to print a repainted exact copy.
>>
>>54776463
What's smth, and what's Fallout: Gods and Monster of New Vegas a reference to?
>>
>>54776594
>smth
Something.
>Fallout: Gods and Monster of New Vegas a reference to?
Nothing in particular, just some stupid name for a boardgame.
>>
>>54776588
You could, but nobody will give a shit since it's the autistic WHfags driving up the second hand prices to insane levels.
>>
>>54775986
Yes and yes.
>>
>>54772011
Correct me if I'm wrong but for 3+p it's FFA only right, there's no Team vs Team variant?
>>
>>54778403
No, only homerules.
>>
>>54778559
Thanks.
>>
Have anyone played Quartermaster general: victory or death. I like the theme more than WW1 and WW2, also, 4 players are easier to gather.
>>
File: IMG_0637.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0637.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>54775893
Damn it feels good to be gangsta
>>
>>54776588
You could reprint the game, but it'd have to be re-themed since that CAN be copyrighted and both GW and FFG would try to destroy you for it.
>>
>>54780105
Yeah that's what I meant
>>
>>54776113
They aren't gonna. You're forgetting Asmodee is now EA tier. They aren't going to produce something that's going to make BANK for them.

Expansions already don't typically have great sales numbers, and then that combined with how niche Twilight Imperium is, they're going to shelve it.

Probably until they can make a Xth anniversary edition and massively overprice it.
>>
>>54780165
>They aren't going to produce something that's NOT going to make BANK for them.

Sorry, early morning typos.
>>
>>54780165
FFG has no history of anniversary editions, and they already missed the games 10th anniversary anyways.
>>
>>54772869
I'm all in on cthulhu wars but that's because i'm a huge H.P. Lovecraft fan and an idiot completionist
>>
When do L5R spoilers come out normally? I'm usually still asleep right now on a weekday.
>>
>>54780198
And the 15th, this is the 20th anny of the 1E, but it's unlikely to see a new one without some leaks/rumors about it already.

>>54780165
This is true, but the individual design studios still have a good bit of freedom, especially because it's not like the video game industry, most designers aren't on payroll so if something comes along a publisher can buy cheap and make a quick buck on they will, it just won't be through one of the big design houses.

The biggest thing to consider is TI is solely Petersen's game; he's unlikely to let someone else tinker with it for a new edition, and since he's running ANA now there's probably less time to work on it if he does want a new version released.
>>
Those of you who paint minis, what do you use to coat them at the end to protect them?
>>
>>54781036
GW varnish spray
At least it was until they went and changed it. I'm not a big fan of the new shiny look but I don't know if I can be arsed trying out new ones just to find a replacement to something I use once in a blue moon.
>>
File: 10520205_1.jpg (75KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
10520205_1.jpg
75KB, 1024x1024px
>>54781036
Testor's Dullcote is the hardcore mini painter's friend (although they'd likely gloss coat it first) but it's pricey for a small bottle. You can use cheap as shit generic Walmart stuff, but I never trust that it won't yellow over time. Krylon Matte Finish is my preferred, but the Rustoleum Specialty Clear Matte is supposed to be about the same. Looks good, big can for the same $3 as the tiny thing from Testor's and can go on minis, boards, chits, etc. Just make sure if you're buying a paint brand (Rustoleum/Krylon) you're getting a finish, not a paint, because there is clear spraypaint out there and that can fuck with your finished work.
>>
>>54776089
If they announce something TI related, I'll eat my own fucking face.
>>
>>54781853
If they announce something TI related, I'll play a whole game of ticket to ride without attempting to set the board on fire.
>>
>>54781902
meh - ticket to ride gets done in less than 50 mins.
what about 6 players risk?
>>
>>54781902
>new bucket list item: make STEEV play Team Asia no talking co-op TtR
>>
>>54781902
Play a 6-player game of Talisman with all expansions.
>>
>>54781932
>>54781960
>>54781966
Jesus christ you guys are hardcore today.
>>
>>54781932
The secret to playing 6 player Risk is losing first.
>>
>>54781932
a game of standard risk shouldn't take that long either.
Once you get those high bonus going, it becomes a steam roll.
>>
>>54782046
Hey I say it all the time I love our tripfags, and seriously your taste is games is almost carbon copy, but GODDAMN we gotta get you to play Ghost Stories or Robinson Crusoe or First Martians and change your opinion.

Also no one's asked for a rec chart so I can't trigger anti-comic sans anon
>>
>>54782082
I mean, you literally listed the three co-ops I'm actually interested in trying, so. . .
Also I'm pretty sure ghost stories has an expansion that converts it to 1vAll. No idea if it's any good.
>>
>>54782120
makes the game much easier for the players.

It's an okay expansion. Only buy it if you really liked ghost stories and are looking to mix up things a little bit.
>>
>>54781036
>>54781036
Here's what you should know about 'coating' minis:

1. Coating them is typically done to protect the painted surface from ware and handling.

2. Varnish is typically the coating of choice, and comes in gloss, semi-gloss, and mat (non-shiny) versions. The gloss varnish provides the strongest finish, but may look bad on a mini (unless you want REM style "happy shiny people" minis). Some painters put a gloss varnish down first, and then a 2nd mat coat after the first coat has completely dried.

Pros - Varnish can help prevent wear and damage to paint jobs.

Cons - Varnish applied in poor conditions (high/low temperatures and/or high/low humidity) can 'frost' or become cloudy and obscure the underlying paint job. Varnish will also Yellow or discolor as it ages. It can take decades, but I've got minis that were done with Testor's Dull-Coat varnish and they have yellowed.

Generally I don't varnish my minis unless they're going to get an extreme amount of handling, and I do so with the knowledge that if I do varnish them - then some time down the road they'll yellow and need to be repainted.
>>
File: I'm out.gif (4MB, 375x281px) Image search: [Google]
I'm out.gif
4MB, 375x281px
>>54781966
>Play a 6-player game of Talisman with all expansions.

>>54782046
>Jesus christ you guys are hardcore today.

Hardcore?!? Hell, they're just flat out trying to kill you! Run STEEV! Run!
>>
File: 1499541906820.gif (387KB, 269x270px) Image search: [Google]
1499541906820.gif
387KB, 269x270px
>>54782357
>getting STEEV to run puts you at the top of the list
Gotten 404 to the table recently?
>>
>>54782368
Oh shit, misread the trip while skimming through the anon above you talking about minis
>>
>>54782368
No, I haven't gotten 404 to the table, but my group is getting together again in a couple of weeks. I'll have to put that one in my bag.
>>
File: IMG_1169.jpg (264KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1169.jpg
264KB, 500x500px
So anybody heard anything about this game? It sounds like a chill game thinkin of pitching in
>>
File: mythic battles pantheon.jpg (114KB, 639x852px) Image search: [Google]
mythic battles pantheon.jpg
114KB, 639x852px
This is what you'll get in December if you went all-in.

And a few small things are still missing from this pic. I hope you have enough space to spare.
>>
>>54786018
>I didn't know they stacked shit that high
>>
>>54786240
Rude.
>>
>>54786018
That's freaking awesome! I gather your next set is to rob a bank so you can spend the next couple of decades hiding out in the basement and painting all those minis! (And still afford food, utilities, and paint supplies.)

Remember - gamers don't die unless they finish painting all their minis.
>>
>>54786487
I have never painted a mini and I'm way too scared of fucking it up. The minis in this game are really beautiful and detailed and I don't want to deface them. Maybe something easy that doesn't require a lot of detail work. Like making them look like stone by spray painting them with white, grey and a bit of black. A stone or marble look would work nicely I think.
>>
>>54786487
>just finished painting the last mini I had laying around
Oh well, I've had a good run
>>
Is Ultra Tiny Epic Kingdoms worth $10 or is its big brother worth the additional $10-15?
>>
File: C5DTYiLXUAE8izf.jpg (186KB, 1010x1286px) Image search: [Google]
C5DTYiLXUAE8izf.jpg
186KB, 1010x1286px
anyone else waiting since August 2016 ? ....

pls someone hold me, it might actually come after Gen Con...
>>
>>54788506
Seriously.
Though after my first play with the base game, I'm sadly a little less hype.
>>
Does anyone have an opinion on pixel tactics for a casual 2 player game?
>>
>>54788506
>got star trek: fleet captains on amazon for $40
>a day later the lowest price is ninety
On the flip side some of the models had broken off the standee, but it's a nothing a barn or two of epoxy won't fix.

I'm convinced that the expansions will help the game a lot. As it exists now the Romulans and Starfleet play mellow and the Klinks play aggro, and the expansions seem to have the Ferengi play mellow and the Cardies play aggro. This sets up a large range of variable levels of encouragement to player interaction, and the Borg make the game a semi-co-op.
Though really they need a fucking politics phase I swear, the funnest part of TI3 is passing fuck-you laws.
>>
File: 250px-Bart_in_class.png (118KB, 250x188px) Image search: [Google]
250px-Bart_in_class.png
118KB, 250x188px
>>54790144
>a barn or two
>>
>>54790714
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barn_(unit)
>>
>>54789626
I've heard that it's pretty good. I've bought pixel tactics 1 but I haven't had a chance to try it out yet
>>
>>54790862
>themoreyouknow.mp4

Huh. Weird name for a tiny unit of measurement.
>>
>>54791405
Particle physicists are a whimsical lot.
>>
Maybe a few hundred USD for a full set of Nitroplus (reprint/English version when). Probably no more than 120 for a single game, 150 if it was a giant fuckoff box packed with stuff.

For a single item, only mid-50s. Total with expansions, around 200.

>>54764498
And I thought Betrayal at Baldur's Gate would be the worst news I got this month.
>>
>>54781853
>>54781902
Another day, another game announced. Seems like they're building up for something big Friday
>>
File: big board.jpg (229KB, 1024x403px) Image search: [Google]
big board.jpg
229KB, 1024x403px
>>54792011
>150 if it was a giant fuckoff box packed with stuff.
Been there... Pic related.
>>
>>54787586
Do you have tiny insectoid like manipulators at the end of your torso appendages?

The tiny bits are fiddly as fuck to handle
>>
>>54792386
Shit son
>>
>>54792219
This isn't really new for them, ever since FFG became a big name Petersen has tried to monopolize Gencon and bully anyone else who thinks it's not about him. They do this lead up week every year, he basically tells CSI not to stock his product in their booth, and they keep expanding their demo area in the exhibit hall while trying to shrink what Mayfair has.

>>54792386
I don't like most of what Steve does, but that edition of Ogre was beautiful
>>
>>54764498
Didn't they already make a Fallout tabletop? Wasn't it, you know, FUCKING GURPS
>>
>>54794483
So since Shadowrun exists, we should purge cyberpunk from the available boardgame theme list, got you.
>>
>>54794557
No, i'm being silly because Fallout 1 was originally titled Fallout: A GURPS adventure. It was supposed to use the system exactly. they modified it some and dropped the gurps name.
>>
>>54791438
They just wanted an inside joke to "couldn't hit the broad side of a barn".
>>
>>54773988
>Scythe kickstarter edition.

Just got to play Scythe for the first time tonight. I was the ersatz Polish, i.e. the cute redhead with a bear, and I demolished my Nordic opponent. It's a pretty neat worker placement/territorial control game, though I feel like a little too much emphasis is put on Popularity, which gives a huge end-game bonus multiplier.
>>
Just got Red Dragon Inn 2, and had a fun time with it all. What are some of your guys favorite expansions that I can get? Allies packs and/or big boxes
>>
Anyone else backing the Star Realms kickstarter?
>>
>>54796425
The only randomized market DBG I ever liked was Valley of the Kings.
>>
>>54796441
Star Realms has the advantage over some games of having a digital version of the game that's pretty easy to get into though.
>>
>>54796441
That game does look pretty good as well though.
Will keep a watch on it.
>>
>>54792386
I recently found this at a lgs.
They marked it up to nearly 200€ though.
>>
>>54797098
That's just overkill. SJG has come out with smaller boxed versions of the larger 'designer edition' scale for OGRE, so I sure wouldn't pay the price they are asking.
>>
So having 1st/2nd Base Set, Guilds, Hinterlands, and a miscellany of promos; what's my next Dominion expansion? (Seaside's out of stock entirely across my country, unfortunately.)
>>
>>54797620
Intrigue
>>
>>54797638
anything worth going out of the way for 1st ed for?
>>
>>54797654
Check this out:
http://wiki.dominionstrategy.com/index.php/Intrigue
>>
>>54794672
I would say just like many other things in such a style of game is that that Popularity is only as important as the other players make it.

Letting one person run away to the top of it while everyone else ignores it is a bad idea. But keeping up somewhat and only being one bracket away is not terrible. Same things with other scoring stuff such as : just letting someone spread themselves over massive tracks of land, letting someone stockpile resources, ignoring that someone is maxing out their power, etc.
>>
So what do you guys think is the best board game for someone on a budget trying to rope their family into playing?
I'm looking for something with some strategy and variance but is immediately accessible that even a 5 year old could play it.
>>
>>54797963
How many people are there in your family, including yourself?
>>
>>54797963
Probably those small package card games you can get for $10-$20.
DO NOT get Munchkin, it is a game designed to create bad feelings.
Have you tried Biblios? It's a drafting game with slightly above average complexity of scoring but the actual play is very simple and quick once you've played a round or two.
>>
>>54797963
Sushi Go and Love Letter are cheap, quick and compelling. The latter could be a lil light for em if they're not into mindgames.
>>
>>54798011
Probably about 2-4 players.

Exploding kittens doesnt seem too bad from the app version I've played. But I worry the doesn't have much legs in a real life setting.
>>
>>54798312
>doesnt seem too bad
It's also not too good, it's just an Uno variant. If you want to go for a light card game, Red7 is very good for intro/family gaming. If your family is into trick taking games, Diamonds is a really solid choice (but there's also been a glut of trick taking games in the last 18-24months that look to be as good or better). Forbidden Island is cheap, available at mass market stores, and good for a start if you want to try co-ops; Hanabi is also dirt cheap and co-op but can lead to rage aneurysms. If you're into the escape room thing, all the small box ones (Exit, Deckscape, Unlock) run about $15, though some can be reboxed/replayed, others might have you destroy cards (heard this is true with Exit).

>>54798064
>>54798041
Both good advice, but it helps to know more about your family than 2-4 people. Personalities and age matter; if someone asked me about board games and their favorite way to spend time was jigsaw puzzles/sudoku/crosswords I'd give them drastically different recommendations from someone who was a Mario Party/CAH casual gamer.
>>
>>54797963
>>54798011
>>54798041
>>54798064
A whole hour and no one has answered with comic sans.

>>54797963
7 Wonders is pretty approachable
Roll for the galaxy is good
I like theme to rope them in, but make sure it's a good game underneath.

I think castle dice might be a good one, especially to get kids excited, but I think it will play harder (like agricola) but I haven't gotten to play yet. I'm just guessing it's enough to trick them into a little more serious game.
>>
File: pic2567004_lg.jpg (234KB, 1024x957px) Image search: [Google]
pic2567004_lg.jpg
234KB, 1024x957px
>>54798312
Love Letter is good and probably one of the cheapest ones at less than 10$. There's also several themed variants (Batman, Hobbit, Archer, etc.) that you can choose if you don't like the standart theme. Though these tend to cost a bit more.

Carcassone is also great, simple to learn and has a good amount of variance.

The King is Dead (pic) is also great, quick to learn and quick to play. In my opinion it's best played with 3 players

And if you need something for 2 players only: Patchwork.
>>
>>54797963
Also evolution: the beginning exclusive at target. It's simple, beautiful and even my core game group gets into it. And everybody loves poop. It is almost all cards though so if you want that feel of laying out a big board it's the one thing you don't get.
>>
File: group starter games.png (3MB, 1801x2137px) Image search: [Google]
group starter games.png
3MB, 1801x2137px
>>54798696
I slept late
>>
>>54798634
>to know more about your family
Yes, for example my family treats the afore mentioned sushi go as a hard core card counting screw your neighbor as hard as possible game. I mean there are literal fights about who sits next to whom. Kind of takes all the light heartedness out of what is an otherwise fun game.
>>
>>54797963
>>54798744
I also highly recommend The King is Dead. The theme might put normies off, since it looks like a wargame, but it's really just incredibly light cardplay with a spatial element.

Other cheap family games:

If they ever played trick taking games (Hearts, Spades, etc) with a standard 52 card deck, The Fox in the Forest is a great modern approach to that. It's 2p only, but it takes a very simple traditional premise - take a lot of tricks but not too many or your opponent will Shoot the Moon, there is a trump suit, you can play out-of-suit if you exhaust your supply of the suit your opponent starts the trick with - and gives it modern gaming elements by adding card powers that do things like change the trump, give you info on the burned cards, let you swap your own cards for burns, let you lead the next trick even if you shouldn't, etc.

So this is a perfect stepping stone that introduces the modern idea of cards with ability-text that you can play strategically. But it only works if they're already trick taking fans. Which, some families are, some aren't, it's a folk thing.
If they don't already know things like Hearts, trying to actually teach people what a trick taking game is from the ground up is damn near impossible, as it's actually an extremely convoluted genre premise. Just one they happened to be raised with.

Unlock is a good one, as they come cheap and don't require any pre-existing knowledge of how other games work, since it's all 100% lateral thinking problems. Something made of wood is stuck in a deep container? Add water, and it'll float to the top! You add items together by adding their numbers together and then finding the relevant numbered card to pull, just like a choose-your-own-adventure book, so that'll be very familiar. Nothing else to it. Unlock is an especially good one for price because you don't have to rip it up to play it, so you can resell it as Barely Used for 66% of the price. Or just play it with different groups.
>>
>>54797963
Chess.
>>
>>54799123
But that's a poorly designed game, Anon.
>>
>>54799190
It isn't, it's a great casual/family game: simple rules, short playing time, vandal-proof components, enough theme to keep your attention and some interesting strategic tradeoffs to go with your tactical moves.

It's a pretty crappy tournament game because the 'winning' metagame is toxic unfun, because ranking/ladders are hard to implement and because forcing a draw is a common and valuable move.

But if you don't care about competitive play it's great.
>>
>>54799641
>chess
>simple rules
>short playing time
>recommending a 2 player game for family game night
Fuck off
>>
File: Munakata's_grenades.png (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Munakata's_grenades.png
3MB, 1920x1080px
Chess is just a poorly reworked Eric Lang dudes on a map game; it needs the kickstarter exclusives to be balanced
>>
>>54800122
Chess is about as simple as it gets for a mildly thematic game. The 5 year olds I know have no problem playing it. The standard blitz chess rules give 10 minutes per player, so a 20 minute game total. I've never had a chess game that took more than 30 minutes.

Have you ever actually played chess in real life, or are you just saying stupid shit you picked up off the stupid segment of the Intertubes?

>>54800316
>Chess is just a poorly reworked Eric Lang dudes on a map game; it needs the kickstarter exclusives to be balanced
That actually kinda exists: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chess_2:_The_Sequel
>>
I'm looking to expand outside Catan and Carcassone and get one of the many history themed eurogames. Comic sans would suggest Castles of Burgundy, and El Grande looks good though expensive.

Are there any other games of that mold I should consider? It's hard to narrow down since there are so many that people recommend. I'm playing with a group that will be willing to try pretty much whatever as long as it's a eurogame and has a (preferably european) historical theme.
>>
File: Space 4x list.jpg (2MB, 1050x2314px) Image search: [Google]
Space 4x list.jpg
2MB, 1050x2314px
>>54798696
>A whole hour and no one has answered with comic sans.

This is my 4x index sans comics?

I know - cheap shot! I couldn't resist...
>>
>>54800913
>Comic sans would suggest
See the name calling is how we got Jaded Fun Hater; also it's not that *I* suggest it, all the stuff in the rec images are games that /bgg/ has recommended over the last ~5 years. El Grande is also wonderful and one of the best area control games out there
>>
>>54796425
Eh, I get by with just the app. Might buy some expansions for it if they go on sale
>>
>>54798634
>Hanabi is also dirt cheap and co-op but can lead to rage aneurysms
Does this really happen?
>>
>>54802246
Not often, it can have problems with alpha gamers trying to direct everyone's turn which if you're limited table talk shouldn't happen
>ok I can tell him about that one thing, you can tell him about the other and then player 3 can talk about what you've got so everything works out

The rage generally comes from a situation where a more experienced player is with someone who's brand new to the game, and you watch them explode over a bad clue
>this card is a 2
Meanwhile they discard the red 5 you ignored telling them about and someone blows up. Zee had a good blow up about it on Dice Tower a while back (cue to his #1, 53minutes in)
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFnTZL8zIPg
>>
>>54802246
Yeah, especially if you're taking the game seriously and your group has Analysis Paralysis or ADD.
Can't help but rage internally when someone I just gave full information manages to hand shuffle his cards and forgets what he has in his hand or where, or plays the wrong card to the tableau.
>>
I've been playing Dungeon Roll since my sister got it for me for my birthday. It's a bad game but one the most infurriating things is that only included seven dungeon dice. Does anyone know why they did this?
>>
>>54800316
>>54800469
http://www.wunderland.com/WTS/Andy/Games/monochess.html
>>
File: pic332870.jpg (117KB, 630x630px) Image search: [Google]
pic332870.jpg
117KB, 630x630px
What I'm in for?
>>
>>54804222

Rolling lots of dice. Very unpredictable and random, I like it quite a bit though.
>>
>>54804222
fun
>>
>>54801155
>See the name calling is how we got Jaded Fun Hater

Heh! Actually, Minifig is indirectly to blame for that. He was replying to a post about 'elitist gaming snobs' who ruin other's enjoyment of gaming and labeled them "jaded fun haters" which struck me as either a good band name or a trip. Hence I'm not the resident old-fag and 'Jaded fun hater'. ;) I routinely post here without it (since I post in other threads too), and have come up with a number of 'Generals' thread images. (And yes, I'm to blame for the 'Twilight Snuggles image too...) As well as the pastebin - which I'll see about updating tonight to fix the 'Game Caddie' link since the old site is long dead. So it isn't all bad.

>>54804222
I own a copy of the 'classic' 2nd edition version. Talisman is aptly described as a "Shits-n-giggles" board game. It has little in the way of game balance, and loads of totally random shit happens. Movement? Dice roll. Events? Dice Roll. Land on a location with a D6 table? Yeap, roll more dice.

Cons:
* Random dice rolls for 90% of the game greatly reduce strategic planning and player agency.
* The aforementioned random elements can make the game incredibly 'swingy' - as in "I'm in the lead! And now I'm a Toad with no equipment..."
* The aforementioned random elements can cause the game to drag out overly long for what entertainment it provides.

Pros:
* The game is 'swingy' and just because you're down now doesn't mean that 3 turns from now you aren't going to 'magically' win the game.
* The game does NOT require (or reward) a lot of planning. It's a great game to play with people who suffer from "Analysis Paralysis" - they get over it quickly since so much of the game is random.
* Some of the in game stuff is f'ing hilarious. "Oh look, Mark went to the tavern for the 3rd time to try his luck. And got turned into a Toad for the 3rd time in a row."

So, if you just want dice rolling fun - this is it.
>>
File: 1416328986931.gif (62KB, 813x604px) Image search: [Google]
1416328986931.gif
62KB, 813x604px
>>54792386
And speaking of OGRE - SJG has launched a KS for OGRE-zine, a collection of OGRE related articles. The pledge is a massive $3. They have a small article 'Dam Busters' and other content.

KS
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/847271320/ogrezine-the-ogre-magazine

Free Content
http://www.sjgames.com/ogre/articles/

>Inb4 old-fag detected...
>>
>>54775986
> Gloomhaven
I just watched a playthrough of Gloomhaven.
I usually don't go for new games but this game would fit my bill perfectly.
The only thing I dislike about it is that it seems to be a racing game - gotta go fast and complete the dungeon ASAP or you'll be exhausted.

Also need to read the instructions. All in all it seems a nice way to spend the winter
>>
File: 420-Eclipse-1.jpg (137KB, 1024x819px) Image search: [Google]
420-Eclipse-1.jpg
137KB, 1024x819px
Are there any good medfan 4x games, or just plain medieval 4x? Pic related, I love the shit out of eclipse, and I'd like to find something comparable but not in scifi
The closest thing I have in my collection is hyperborea I'd say, but it doesn't even come close
>>
>>54806246
As the author of >>54800997 - sadly I haven't really seen anything at all in recent years that fits the 4x bill but uses a Fantasy / Medieval theme. Scythe was originally billed as a 'Steam-Punk' 4x game, but it falls short and is more of a 'Steam-Punk' Euro style engine builder with some combat elements welded on.

The closest thing I can think of that might scratch the itch would be Kemet (more Dudes on a Map / Area control), Deus, or even Mare Nostrum. The problem with all of them, if I recall correctly, is that their maps fixed rather than generated by exploration, so not truely 4x.
>>
>>54804222
>>54804328
>>54804332
>>54805721
fug is it worth $60 on amazon?
>>
>>54805851
I wish I could just grab the minis packs since I missed that kickstarter. I already have reinforcements and 6th edition
>>
File: pic2966374.jpg (6MB, 4160x3120px) Image search: [Google]
pic2966374.jpg
6MB, 4160x3120px
>>54806246

I'd wait for Medioevo Universale if you're fine with some traditional grand strategy.

Also, RIsk: europe provides some kind of 4x feel in a very streamlined fashion imo.
>>
>>54807574
Hell fucking no.
>>
>>54805851
What exactly are the articles about?
>>
sup fa/tg/uys,
I'm hoping someone can help me find this game. i can't think of the name but here's what i remember: it's a dark fantasy co op rpg board game with crazy art akin to that of nick edwards and it was on kickstarter. might still be, not sure...

anyways it had this metal feel, the art was sick. I wish i remembered more about it because i know that i haven't really narrowed it down enough for anybody to know it right off the bat... the main thing that made it stand out was the art; thats what really made it different and identifiable... but that isn't something i've had success using in searching on google for it

another thing i remember is that you travel as a group but may split off at any point. you battle stuff like rats and weird stuff i dont really remember. i wish i remembered more it's driving me nuts!!

i have a feeling i wont get the name here lol but, in case i do, thanks in advance.
>>
File: random ic shit.jpg (158KB, 640x800px) Image search: [Google]
random ic shit.jpg
158KB, 640x800px
>>54808956
you literally just described all of /tg/

maybe try to find words other than "sick dood" to describe the art. like:
>there were/weren't scantily clad females
>the weapons depicted were/weren't oversized
>the artwork was grim/dark/etc
>were there cards
>were there dice
>were there colors for things (red attack cards)
>was there a board
>what was the "path" you followed on the board like
>were there minis
>was damage in the 6 is high or 6000 is weak range

really anything that would lead us to believe you weren't just stoned and playing skyrim
>>
>>54808956
That sounds sort of like Cave Evil...

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/84889/cave-evil
>>
File: nick-edwards3.jpg (2MB, 1500x1069px) Image search: [Google]
nick-edwards3.jpg
2MB, 1500x1069px
>>54809098
ok yeah i see what you mean, i realized that i wasn't really giving you a lot to work with aside from the art lol but i'll go thru your suggestions.

>there were/weren't scantily clad females
i dont particularly recall seeing scantily clad females, but its the type of production from which such things would be expected.... again it was sick looking like in the literal sense; it was metal, it was violent, it looked drug induced
>the weapons depicted were/weren't oversized
I don't think so.
>the artwork was grim/dark/etc
it was evil looking. look up nick edwards and superjail and imagine that with a more evil atmosphere
>were there cards
yes. so component wise the main thing was just a big board with cards. there were cards for the characters and monsters. I think there must have also been cards for events/locations.
>were there dice
yes there certainly were dice
>were there colors for things (red attack cards)
from what i remember no. the board however had regions with their own sorta themes i guess? so the board was very vibrant, and there was a lot going on. in the game overall you would see this, so the cards too. its so hard to remember but i think one of the regions on the board was a creepy forest.
>was there a board
yeah
>what was the "path" you followed on the board like
i actually don't remember, but thats a good question. i wish i could recall.
>were there minis
i hardly remember them but i am pretty sure there were minis. so i'll say yes but they probably weren't anything great.
>was damage in the 6 is high or 6000 is weak range
from my recollection the range was something like 0 to 10

thanks for the reply, i hope that clarifies it a bit more... i know its still pretty general, i wish i remembered more about it.

oh yeah and just to reiterate, the art looks like that of nick edwards... kinda reminds me of superjail a bit too.

i'll attach something by nick edwards, but in case u r familiar with epic spell wars of the battle wizards thats him
>>
>>54809475
thanks for the reply!

it's not cave evil. it's a very colorful game, still with an evil sick look though.

>>54809588
>>54809098

also, looking this game up reminded me that the game im trying to think of was not something where you travel through hexes.. it was less rigid looking, i dont remember specifically but i think there were spaces illustrated by little castles or symbols. not sure... but def not squares or hexes or anything like that
>>
>>54807574
I wouldn't buy it at $40
>>
>>54775154
>Castle Ravenloft
Genuinelly enjoyable and replayable.
>Legend of Drizzt
Easy mode. The heroes, specially Drizzt, are fucking OP. The monsters are mostly weaker/dumber and the events can be manipulated a lot since it seems most of them are volcanic eruptions or poison traps.
>Wrath of Ashardalon
The middle ground in difficulty between Ravenloft and Drizzt. The quests feel longer and the heroes aren't as interesting, but the monsters are fun.
>Temple of Elemental Evil
Wizkids quality control. It is rigged against the players, where Ravenloft will fuck you up the ass for miscalculating or underestimating monsters (gargoyles will fuck you up), ToEE will have you praying to RNGesus. And it has way too many traps.

I am exited for ToA. The D&D Adventure System is genuinelly good. I like it much more than Descent 2e or Gloomhaven because it doesn't try to be an RPG in a box and fail at it. It's a board game, a good mix of strategy, skirmish and push your luck with an RPG IP coat of paint. And I love playing a quest or two either by myself or with the early birds while waiting for the playgroup to gather.
>>
>>54809657
>>54809588
also, it was definitley on kickstarter this past year. not sure how much that narrows things down.
>>
File: pic3208828.jpg (4MB, 3127x2592px) Image search: [Google]
pic3208828.jpg
4MB, 3127x2592px
>>54809588

Sounds like Dungeon Degenerates.
>>
>>54810059
you're the best! that's the one lol thank you so much
>>
File: header2[1].jpg (102KB, 1000x288px) Image search: [Google]
header2[1].jpg
102KB, 1000x288px
does anyone know where I can buy these Shogi pieces, on the far left? They're fucking adorable.
>>
>>54810142
https://www.amazon.com/Doubutsu-Shogi-Japanese-Animal-wooden/dp/B002FL3WVG/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1502418157&sr=8-1-fkmr1&keywords=animal+shogi+pieces
>>
>>54805721
>tfw you remember all those old threads
Good God I've wasted so much time shitposting with you guys. I could've spent it doing something productive; like shitposting on /g/

>>54810059
>that art
how_horrifying.jpg
>>
>>54810220
>how_horrifying.jpg
I like it.
>>
>>54810059
is this the same artist for Fight Knight?
>>
>>54810289
I get the appeal, but the color contrast with how busy the board is just too much for me. Then again I look at something like High Frontier and get an instant migraine, while plenty of anons seem to be able to decipher it from 20yrds away.
>>
File: feudum-board.jpg?ssl=1.jpg (72KB, 680x266px) Image search: [Google]
feudum-board.jpg?ssl=1.jpg
72KB, 680x266px
>>54810437
Feudum seems to be the same concept but toned down.
>>
>>54810176
https://www.amazon.com/Okinamorino-Dobutsu-Japanese-GENTOSHA-Education/dp/B0046EDJY0/
>140 dollars for a set of wood blocks with stickers on them
What the fuck, goddamn rice jews are at it again
>>
File: wood blocks & stickers.png (557KB, 1084x610px) Image search: [Google]
wood blocks & stickers.png
557KB, 1084x610px
>>54810474
Who would possibly pay $140 or more for wood blocks with stickers!
>>
>>54809795
Savage Planet?
>>
>>54809727
I really want to buy Castle Ravenloft at some point
>>
File: blp.jpg (64KB, 400x303px) Image search: [Google]
blp.jpg
64KB, 400x303px
>>54810059
If that game came with a black-light, I'd swear it was straight outta the 80's...
>>
>>54810220
>I've wasted so much time shitposting with you guys. I could've spent it doing something productive; like shitposting on /g/

Come now, you can surely set your standards higher than that! Something truly humanitarian. Like say attempting to get /pol/ to join the Church of Scientology. Because if you succeed... Oh the carnage and horror!
>>
File: pic3689707.png (541KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
pic3689707.png
541KB, 1080x1920px
>>54781853
>>54781966
>>54781932
>>54781902
time to pony up boys
>>
File: b4a0997.jpg (166KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
b4a0997.jpg
166KB, 1080x1920px
>>54813234
better screenshot of leak
>>
Hey guys I've never played tabletop games, if I bought the newest edition of Dnd could I play it with just two people?

OIr should I not play DnD as my first?
>>
>>54813300
This is more of a board game thread, rather than an RPG (Role Playing Game) thread. That said, yes you could play an RPG with just one player and one Game Master. If you ask in the D&D threads, I'm sure they can list some single player adventures you could use to get started.
>>
>>54813234
>>54813259
You guys better not be pulling my dick.
>>
>>54813463

Whoops sorry about that.
>>
>>54813259
So my copy + expansions, which haven't seen a single goddamn play are about to become collectibles.
>>
>>54813259
So how overpriced is this going to be then.
>>
In everyone's opinion, what board games are the best blend of replayable and easy to learn? I have about a dozen board games and want to add more to my collection, but our extended group has varying levels of patience for complicated games. Ideally I'm looking for games that accommodate at least 6 players.
>>
File: sl05_main.png (178KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
sl05_main.png
178KB, 300x300px
Is it fun?
>>
>>54814167
Carcassonne fits your criteria if you don't already own it.
>>
>>54814355
Ah shit, I should have done that. The mainstays in our group already are Catan, Codenames, Carcassonne, Boss Monster, Blood Rage, Arkham Horror, Bang!, and Cosmic Encounters.
>>
>>54814287
Yeah, as long as you don't expect the full immersive experience.
Rolling 6 dice to get 1 peril, 1 lore and 1 horror face doesn't feel like you're doing something dangerous or like getting your nose into forgotten tomes, or like facing unnameable horrors. It just feels like playing yahtzee with a themed backdrop.
It is fun, though, and I've played a lot of solo games.
>>
>>54800122
My grandpa teached me how to play chess when i was 6. Its simple and fun to play with family as long as you dont tryhard to checkmate them as fast as possible
>>
>>54814425
I'm looking for a light-hearted game, not a particularly deep experience. Thanks!
>>
>>54760776
Paid over $400 for Red Dragon Inn and it's expansions. One of those games that doesn't give much of a shit of how many players there are and whether or not they're drunk. Easy to learn as well.
>>
>>54814167
Escape from the Aliens in Outer Space is easy to learn and had good replay value with secret roles, individual powers, and eight different maps included plus an online map maker. It also accommodates for eight players and each player's map book has player aids for role powers and items. You'll probably want to buy some fine tip or ultra fine tip dry erase markers separately because tige ones it congress with dry up quickly.
>>
>>54760844
I expect this to be a big failure. The Weboos who like the setting only really give a shit about the RPG which is why AEG was desperate to sell the whole IP with the card game included. Also the neckbeard l5r fans will not like the changes FFG did to the lore/system because their identity is based on familiarity and critisism without experimentation. Anyways, if you want a copy (or 3 as is standard LCG model with Arkham Horror being the exception) I suggest you wait no longer than 6 months as most distributors will have dropped.
>>
>>54813234
>>54813259
>>54813623
>>54814105
>>54814158
The real question is: Will this be a better game then TI3 with Shattered Ascension? FFG have been on a downward curve in terms of game design over the past few years IMO, I'm skeptical they can actually improve on the current version besides obvious balancing.
>>
>>54804222
Like Monopoly except with a fantasy theme.
>>
>>54815277
It's not quite as bad as Monopoly.
You can choose the direction you go.
>>
>>54810437
take some acid and you'll be fine with the board mate
>>
>>54804222
I will never play Talisman again. I wouldn't play it if I'd get paid for it.

It's as fun as brain cancer. It's monopoly with a thin fantasy art style wrapped around it. Zero balance. The game is pretty much roll chance roll chance roll chance roll chance and after 2 hours of misery it's over. Every single time I've played it it felt like a chore. I felt like I was being punished for doing something I never did. This shouldn't even be a board game. It's like you find out somebody likes movies and you buy them all the latest Adam Sandler movies expecting them to like them since they are movies.
>>
File: pic2396125_md.jpg (32KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
pic2396125_md.jpg
32KB, 500x281px
So I have the chance to pick up fleet captains with both expansions in like new condition with all models painted to good table top quality for $200 shipped.

I have been reading tons of reviews and am on a huge trek kick for a while now. It seems like a fair price and solid deal but it's may more then I have ever spent on any game and a bit outta my comfort zone. What do you guys think?
>>
>>54816533
>romulan ships painted brown
And I was almost going to snipe it, too.
>>
I'm super new to board games, can anyone recommend me one?
Things I'd Like:
>Player Interaction
>Buy just the game and or expansions, so no 40k or magic price models
>Sci-fi
>2-4 players
>Both thematically interesting and mechanically fun
>>
>>54816659
Quantum.
>>
>>54761384
You should add Morgan, she balance Perceval.
Plus don't forget that if the assassin finds out who Merlin is, the good guys still loses.
>>
>>54816659
If you're new to boardgames, then start with the basics, why are you making stupidly niche requests off the bat?
>>
>>54816713
Because it's what I want out of a boardgame anon
>>
>>54801806
Fair enough man.
I got the base game from a humble bundle a while back so the full frontiers set + the colony wars add-on bundle = Pretty decent value to me.
(£90 sounds a lot, but then you realise how expensive trading card games like Magic are. Some cards cost that much alone)
>>
>>54814287
I like the mobile version of Elder Signs.
>>
>>54816533
Assuming you mean including shipping that's about what all that stuff costs new
>>
>>54814593
Those are a lot of hot opinions. You're wrong though, this game is going to do extremely well to the point of being impossible to find core sets through 2017.
>>
>>54816574
I think they are more of a gunmetal grey, but you're right, definitely not green. Seems like it might be worth it anyway.
>>
>>54816749
You don't really know what you want out of a boardgame and what you're really asking for is disappointment.
>>
>>54817399
:^)
>>
>>54814287
Have it, enjoy it, but the app just does this one better. Mechanically it's really simple, but in true FFG form, they not only do an amazing job with production, they give you a shit load of cards/tokens to manage, which can make it fiddly and/or slow it down. A good foam core insert (card and component trays) can speed this up, plano boxes work too. Mobile version automates everything, adds a soundtrack and instead of putting all the flavor into card text narrates some; the only downside is not rolling the dice yourself. Hell the app did such a good job with the DLC expansion bosses, they turned them into cardboard expansions for the original.

>>54816659
Have you played anything yet that's been something you're willing to drop $40-60 on? If you're "super new" to board games that's going to be the best information to start from. Most games don't go the MtG/40k route, and there's shitloads of sci-fi games for 2-4p
>>
Most I've spent is $70 for eminent domain and its expansions.

The most I'd be willing to pay is $100, possibly $200 depending on the game/expansions
>>
>>54813300
You could also check out the d&d board games listed in >>54809727
>>
File: IMG_20170811_162249.png (635KB, 738x1041px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170811_162249.png
635KB, 738x1041px
Dear anons.
What's the name of this game, assuming it is a game box.
>>
Can anyone give me their opinion on forbidden stars? It looks like I'd enjoy it but my friends and family are casuals at best and so it looks like none of them would be able to play it with me. There's no flgs anywhere near me so I don't have that option either.

Is it worth buying if I'll probably never get to play it?
>>
>>54804222
depends a lot on the people playing. It works as a beer'n'pretzels or high-as-a-kite fantasy boardgame. The game will definetly play you a lot more than you will play it. It can evoke some unpleasant memories of purely chance-based, poorly designed games such as good old Monopoly and the like, but if you want to hang out with your friends and have a good time without thinking too much about drafting, worker placement or action economy, Talisman is pretty fun
>>
>>54807574
see if you can't borrow it somewhere or play in a store, its not worth owning permanently
>>
>>54818239
Owes a lot to Starcraft coffin box (kinda like how you can tell Flash Point's mom might not admit Pandemic is the father but yeah) and that's a good thing, because it was a very solid game with too expensive an IP. I've only gotten a quick demo but it felt good for a longer game (did feel like it'd be better at 2-3 instead of 4, but that might just be demo slowing it) though I think I'd rather own something like Rebellion for a long ameritrash, or maybe break down and get War of the Ring
>>
>>54818239
Do you have any friends who play TCGs? You could try to rope them into playing.
I bought Forbidden Stars recently and I've played it twice so far. The majority of the complexity comes from the card play and the orders. The orders aren't something really very intuitive to someone who isn't into board games. The card play, however, should be picked up by someone who is used to card games fairly easily. Outside of that, you're building units and conquering planets which shouldn't be too hard to grasp for most people.

Do you know anyone who plays or likes the Starcraft computer game? They'd probably understand the game fairly easily as well.

It's a good game and it plays fairly quickly compared to other games of its type.That said, I don't think any board game is worth buying if you never play it.
Why do you want it?
>>
File: Core Worlds set.jpg (332KB, 672x672px) Image search: [Google]
Core Worlds set.jpg
332KB, 672x672px
>>54816659
You might look at PIC related. It's a deck building game and very good - the expansions add more depth to the game.

And while it is good to get some experience with various game types - knowing what you want out of a game is more important. I wouldn't worry to much about Mr. Ass-pained... >>54816713
>>54817399
>>
>>54818472
It looked really interesting to me. Pretty general reason, I know
>>
>>54818580
It is interesting, and it has a fairly cool combat system, nice art, and gives that sci-fi space empire fix in a very good 2 player experience. I'd recommend you buy some gateway games and build up a board game group if you want to play games like Forbidden Stars.
>>
I want to get a resource building game.
Out of
-catan
-sycthe
-7 wonders
Which is is the better buy, also what would be the best based on getting all the expansions?
>>
>>54818989
Scythe is only one of those i would call a full blooded resource building game and as i've played that game the most of those; i'd warmly suggest it. One of my favorate games.
Seven Wonders is excellent also.
>>
File: 23465345345.png (789KB, 500x403px) Image search: [Google]
23465345345.png
789KB, 500x403px
NEW THREAD
>>54819371
NEW THREAD
>>54819371
NEW THREAD
>>54819371
>>
>>54818989
Best game of the three is 7 Wonders. Scythe is rather dull and draggy, and Catan... it's a decent gateway but it has a LOT of critical problems. Scythe might be more what you're looking for since 7 Wonders is a card drating game first and an engine builder a distant second just... I mean this shit is unjustifiably long.
>>
>>54819399
>8 posts early
>thread not even at page 5
/tg/ moves like molasses, wait next time
Thread posts: 305
Thread images: 51

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.