[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there any good system for survival horror? Something where

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: Survival Horror.jpg (264KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Survival Horror.jpg
264KB, 1280x720px
Is there any good system for survival horror? Something where the PCs are relatively weak, resource management is highly important, and there's either a wealth of different enemies or enemy generation is quick and easy?

I really want to run a Dead Space game, but I don't know what system to use.

inb4 GURPS
>>
Trail of Cthulhu

Call of Cthulhu

Dark Heresy

Savage Worlds

Warhammer Fantasy General 2e

Traveller

Just add "you need 1 unit of food each day or eat cumulative -1 to all rolls." Give limited bullets. Make sure enemies are above the punching threshold. Throw in a flashlight / torch timer.
>>
File: IMG_9275.jpg (189KB, 1080x1440px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9275.jpg
189KB, 1080x1440px
>>54704429
Give the characters awareness penalties for low light. Flashlights reduce the penalty but don't cancel it. The characters are always at risk of being ambushed.

Resources should also always be very limited.

Enemies must be dangerous.
>>
>>54704429
I don't think there is a non-GURPS game with the same sort of chunky combat where you can make 'cut off the limbs to kill them' a real part of how you deal with things.

Being vulnerable to something like a necromorph is easy to do in GURPS, characters don't have much health and big, powerful cutting limbs can tear a person apart. Ranged weapons that deal cutting damage can also be used to lop off limbs effectively, and are especially useful if your necromorphs have Injury Tolerance (Unliveing), making them highly resistant to normal firearms.

If plasma cutter ammo is rare the players should figure out to treasure every round of it.

On the same subject, ranged combat in GURPS plays well with survival horror. You can target individual limbs, fire several shots in quick succession in hopes of landing more hits and most importantly, you get a large bonus if you spend time aiming. Unless you are a really good shot you generally NEED the bonus from Aiming to hit a limb on a moving target at anything but point blank range.

So your necromoprh hunters will be tempted to panic-fire at the highest rate they can without stopping to aim. This allows for maximum damage, but also burns ammo fast and has a comparatively low chance to hit. Spending a turn aiming instead of shooting takes good nerves, but afterwards a single aimed shot has a good chance to hit.
>>
>>54704429
You can really use any system as long as it has skills that are either fit for SF or can be converted for SF. Survivol horror is mainly about the atmosphear and feel of the game so no matter what you use, most of the work is on you as the narrator and creating encounters that are a threat but at the same time dont feel like just fighting a monster with high CR. I'd suggest homebrewing CoC for deadspace and keeping the points reletivly low. Also force your players to be requiered to have a few skills and block some skills off based on backround. There is no need for a pilot to have deep knowledge about xenobiology for ex. Most encounters have to be dangres and suplies few, so your players will have to either a. Run b. waster presious ammo and medkits or c. improvise
>>
>>54704429
Since you didn't mention sanity or some such and want weak PCs and combats, yes, GURPS.
>>
>>54704429
don't rest your head, refluffed if necessary.
>>
>>54704429
well, first, I don't think that GURPS has what you are looking for AT ALL. Yeah, it has deadly combat, but creating monsters is a major time sink, which you specifically asked for the opposite of.

If you're looking for deadly AND ease of monster creation, I'd look at Monster Of The Week. It's powered by Apocalypse World, but it really works in context. The narrativium that the system runs on doesn't make the PC's feel invincible at all, and if anything seems to be more of a creeping dread that inevitably ends in their deaths, with them just hoping to do enough good before that
>>
>>54704429
Going by your description it's not what you're looking for, but I want to run a dead-space-like game using Dread. It's that system where you pull blocks from jenga tower and falling tower means character death. I guess you could add resource management to it by saying that as long as you have ammo, you don't need to pull blocks during combat.
>>
>>54709441
>creating monsters is a major time sink
You're not supposed to stat NPCs and monsters using points. You can just decide your monsters has this and that in these stats, and it's enough to go.
Also GURPS has a bunch of monsters statted now, there's a bunch of monsters in the Zombies and Horror books.
>>
>>54704429
The Savage World horror rule set works surprisingly well. People think of it as a heroic game but if they end of on the receiving end of a Aced D4 they won't.

Other wise just use the Basic Roll Play Systerm from call of Cuthulu. It's a little dry and old as ball but simple, logical, and appropriately deady.
>>
>>54708637
I don't think there is a non-GURPS game with the same sort of chunky combat where you can make 'cut off the limbs to kill them' a real part of how you deal with things.

You know there's a completely unrelated GURPS game called Dead Space. It's more about space hobos trying to survive on derelict space stations aka Blame!

GURPS is a good game if you want gritty tactical dismemberment combat. Injuries are handled very realistically.

Otherwise maybe try Dark Heresy, a lot of people know it and it's combat is gitty with out going full Phoenix commander rules intensity
>>
the various Cthulhu games are an obvious and correct answer

there is Cold & Dark which is basically Dead Space: The RPG as far as I know
>>
File: cad.jpg (182KB, 816x1066px) Image search: [Google]
cad.jpg
182KB, 816x1066px
>>54709826
>>
>PCs are relatively weak
>>54708705
>resource management is highly important,
>>54708705
>and there's either a wealth of different enemies
I can only really say that for 2e, but
>or enemy generation is quick and easy?
>>54708705
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.