[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/awg/ Alternative Wargames General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 312
Thread images: 38

File: frostgrave soldier osl.jpg (104KB, 241x350px) Image search: [Google]
frostgrave soldier osl.jpg
104KB, 241x350px
A light? In the dark? - Edition

>What is /awg/?
A thread to talk about minis and games which fall between the cracks, or people's homebrew wargames. /hwg/ doesn't entertain fantasy (for good reason) and the other threads are locked to very specific games, so this thread isn't tied to a game, or a genre, lets talk about fun wargames.

Any scale, any genre, any company, any minis. Skirmishers welcome. Rules designers welcome.

>Examples of games that qualify
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_miniature_wargames
Grimdark Future, Age of Fantasy, Mighty Armies, Dragon Rampant, Of Gods and Mortals, Frostgrave, Hordes of the Things, Songs of Blades and Heroes, Freebooter's Fate, Dark Age, LotR and anything that doesn't necessarily have a dedicated thread (gorkamundheim).

>Places to get minis
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1D2DbNJ2mYAUxh5P9Pq9NZqS5tXHGn0i2JhZchEwbA2I/edit?usp=sharing

>The Novice Trove
http://pastebin.com/viWJ1Yvk

Last thread
>>54555525
>>
>>54666721
>Last thread link
Guess we're really going places
>>
File: Hitler doing a fist pump.png (99KB, 190x201px) Image search: [Google]
Hitler doing a fist pump.png
99KB, 190x201px
>We made it past bump limit
What a time to be alive
>>
>>54666721
congrats. looks like is a good time for miniatures today.
>>
File: ghost archipelago crewmen.jpg (56KB, 1375x523px) Image search: [Google]
ghost archipelago crewmen.jpg
56KB, 1375x523px
>>54666789
>>54666807
>>54666838
Yeah and it's one of my favourite threads on tg/, too.

Pic of the Ghost Archipelago crewmen to get some conversation going. They are gonna come out in October.
>>
File: 6mm Fantasy Dread Elves 3.png (422KB, 1152x540px) Image search: [Google]
6mm Fantasy Dread Elves 3.png
422KB, 1152x540px
>>54666721
Watcha building, watcha playing?
>>
File: ghost archipelago heroes.jpg (50KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
ghost archipelago heroes.jpg
50KB, 640x480px
>>54666927
And what I presume to be a preview of the metal models.

Picture is potato quality courtesy of FB, but it looks pretty interesting.
>>
File: goa freeborn wip05b.jpg (166KB, 1500x682px) Image search: [Google]
goa freeborn wip05b.jpg
166KB, 1500x682px
>>54666960
Gotta varnish these guys and then move on to the next unit.
Either a Command Squad or some more Ferals.

Slowly working my way towards the first 500 pts.
>>
>>54667038
The bases turned out nicely anon. What's your list looking like at the moment?
>>
>>54667174
I only have two units of Ferals, a transporter drone and the command unit at the moment that I know I will use for sure.

I have a combination of plastic kits and the Concord from the Xilos Horizon starter box too though and I was planning on kitbashing some Vandari and possibly even more Ferals. I'll probably get at least one box of metal Domari too, cause the models look nice.

I have no idea if that is even viable as an army on the table, but I totally bought into the 'barbarians with railguns' thing.
Also I don't have anybody to play with atm, so my only real concern is wether or not the models look cool.

Any input is appreciated though.
>>
>>54667250
I'm in a similar boat. I have people to play with, but said people have only expressed interest and not actually bought it, so I gotta get my armies up to standard to run demo games for them. I can't honestly tell you what does and doesn't work, but my current Freeborn list consists of 3x6 man domari squads, a sky raider squad, and a mag cannon. I figured it gave me a decent balance of bodies, speed, and guns for 500 points.

My Freeborn is on hold at the moment though, since those plastic domari are extremely disappointing. The kit isn't poorly made, but the figures are so deep in the uncanny valley I'd need climbing gear and a mountain of green stuff to pull them out. Here's something to illustrate how bad it is; there are two female domari out of every eight, but I didn't realise it at all until I noticed the boobplates on the sprue. Currently I'm considering sidelining them indefinitely, and instead converting up some Perry ACW Zouaves with Antares weapons to be ferals, fluffing them out as professional sepoys drawn from primitive worlds who use their traditional dress as uniform.
>>
File: whats-going-on.jpg (137KB, 1000x505px) Image search: [Google]
whats-going-on.jpg
137KB, 1000x505px
New thread, aww yee.
>>
Trying to decide between 15mm dragon rampant or 28mm ASOBAH to start out with. Help brothers.
>>
>>54666261
Sadly I'm not even on the same continent. Would like to play the game, but getting starters is somewhat expensive, and I really like the minis.
>>
>>54669340
28mm SOBAH. You can expand to a warband for DR easily.
>>
File: Drunk Spaniard brain bug.jpg (94KB, 960x864px) Image search: [Google]
Drunk Spaniard brain bug.jpg
94KB, 960x864px
>>54666789
I still remember when we wouldn't even pass the hundred or so post some days.
>>
>>54669340
I would go for ASoBaH because you will find a lot more people than play than scale than 15mm and probably they will play a game without having to buy another set of minis.
>>
>>54671107
God bless drunk spaniards.
>>
File: soviet-goblins-squad-.jpg (136KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
soviet-goblins-squad-.jpg
136KB, 600x600px
>>54666960
painting kromlech's soviet gobbos, pretty good and i still love the models, but i have to admit i was disappointed in some smaller parts which looked a bit fucked up, maybe it was a miscast, don't know. Still happy i bought them but not perfect. Also considering buying some 6mm minis you or some other anon psoted last thread. I always was interested in them and i feel like doing it if i get the money.
>>
>people happy about growing
>already dead
i don't knwo how much we can be happy about reachign limit if we require more then a bump per day, but bump i guess
>>
I want to do 15mm near future combined arms stuff, tanks, mechs, helos, infantry. Front Mission style. Probably 15-20 units (infantry stands or vehicles) a side. Not too high tech.

Is Heavy Gear the best/only option or would Stargrunt work? I just want a battlefield of stuff like Hinds, Abrams, and Spetsnaz operators with mech support
>>
>>54673859
Stargrunt is pretty good, but you can also easily use any 28mm ruleset and use cm instead of inches.
>>
Am I the only person in the world thats excited* about a new Adaptus Titanicus and wish it would hurry the fuck up?
(*until I see the prices, that is)
>>
>>54674049

agh adEptus. stupid fat fingers
>>
>>54674049
Honestly, I'm happy if it's a good game and even more if it has some nice miniatures to use elsewhere, but 40k fluff has pretty much lost its magic for me.
>>
I'm looking for 32mm manifacturers. I really love the scale because they usually have great faces and proportions. Does anybody have some sources other than Knight Miniatures? I know a lot of manifacturers mislabel their stuff at 28mm to not dissuade customers, but that makes it pretty hard to find them.
>>
>>54674100

i doubt they'll be of much use elsewhere, I think they are going for a custom scale.

im kind of with you on the 40k magic, but in my nostalgia AT had its own wierd identity (pre-Epic) with the beetleback horus heresy titans kicking each other in. I'm not sure they even belonged to chapters, maybe more like the imperial knight households.

i'm sure for the remake they'll just crowbar Ultrasmurfs vs Chaos in anyway.
>>
>>54674049
No, you're not the only person.

Also, ongoing Epic general
>>54664754
>>
Pardon the tripcode, but I think I'm onto something here.
I created an "interrupt"-based alternating activation system, and got to do some additional playtesting last week. Although I originally designed it as a 40k homebrew, I feel the turn structure is going to be general-purpose enough for any setting.

The question now is what to call it? I was thinking of calling it WarStack, since the game uses "Command Points" akin to a Focus/Fury Mechanic for consecutive activations, or pre-empting Interrupts, with Interrupts resolving as a "stack."

Also, would any folks be interested in helping test the system out on TTS?
>>
>>54674376
Sounds interesting. When you say stack, I assume you mean in the CS sense "first in / last out" activation resolution? So something in the vein of card games like Magic and its various bastard offspring?
>>
>>54674376
i would be interested in reading, no playtest without reading first tho.
>>
>>54674497
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1sK-Wzy1fF1nn__Le2h5q7qnpGKb7HuPbKWafVJCpHao/edit?usp=drivesdk

There's a lot of "work in progress" of course. The # of command points/turn is a placeholder for now. I'm actually thinking of doing it in a two-tier setup: Command-points can be used freely by your army, but characters/sergeants get "Hero points" akin to fight/fate in Lord of the Rings. Hero Points can be either used as "Heroic Actions" (rerolls, power attacks, etc), or as Command Points for the hero's unit.

>>54674470
Basically, I attack you. You interrupt. I spend a CP to counter-interrupt, you spend 2 to interrupt that, until neither of us interrupts with an action that isn't interrupted. (I find placing a die next to each unit showing its "order" in the interrupt chain works). Then you resolve actions, starting from the most recent interrupting unit and working your way down to

The key is interrupts are not free actions, nor is there a special action ("overwatch") needed to be able to set up an interrupt. It's a balancing act of juggling Command Points for chain-activations, split-activations, and bringing stuff in from Reserves. Basically, rather than being a "superpower" manabar (Hero Points do that), Command Points represent how coordinated your army is.
>>
>>54674661
when i will have comments on it, should i post here or contact you some other way?
(i will post here too either way, but it's nice to have a more secure mean to communicate)
>>
>>54674777
Messaging me on dakkadakka is probably best.
>>
Is MERCS worth getting into? I've almost pulled the trigger a half-dozen times, but the company makes me shy away. Looks like, since the 2.0 update, they've pretty much dropped it for Myth?
>>
>>54675058
I'm usually not pessimistic about games, but this one seems pretty much dead. I also want to say that 2 boxes aren't that expensive and they contain most of the models of their faction, BUT the rulebook is 60$ and I guess it isn't easy to pirate (?). Also aren't the models now all made of PVC? It's a real shame, because I always liked the fluff, models and the general 5v5 concept...
>>
>>54674270
Enigma miniatures.
And Arena Rex, although that is 35mm.
>>
>>54675290
aren't the rules free anymore? Pity. I guess if you find someoen to play with they will let you read the rules, so one way or another you can ususally play without rulebook.
>>54675058
i played 1st eition and liked it. I would advise for it if you have people to play with.
>>
>>54675720
>>54675290
i just checked, rules are still free on theyr site
>>
>>54674661
Looks pretty cool. Reminds me a bit of the philosophy behind warmaster or epic armaggedon, scaled up to 28mm, mixed with the order tokens and reactions of Infinity.

Can you give an example of what the interrupt mechanism is actually intended to do? I understand it mechanically, just trying to picture what it adds to alternating activation that can't be got with simpler mechanisms.
>>
>>54675290
They're not a huge company, they seem to really only focus on one project at a time.

I got the PVC models for the boardgame version. They're not great, but work fine for what they are. Minis are generic hard scifi though, you could easily proxy from other ranges.
>>
>>54676595
Epic had a lot of Orders which were simply combinations of smaller actions. "Move and shoot." "Move twice and shoot with -1 to-hit", "Move three times", "Charge", "Overwatch", etc. I wanted actions to be more "atomic". Rather than having separate "full advance" vs "run" actions ala Warmachine, you Advance twice. Rather than having separate "Full Advance" versus "Charge" actions, melee weapons let you take a 3" step, etc.

At its simplest, Interrupts can be used for Overwatch, Countercharging or retreating, or to "Go-to-Ground".

Interrupting Interrupts is more to enable small-team tactics, stuff like leapfrogging/bounding overwatch. One unit advances, under the cover of another, and all that.

Then there's "blocking". If your opponent wishes to shoot a bunch of anti-infantry at your tacticals, interrupt and drive their APC in front.

The key of course is managing everything. Bigger stacks eat up Command Points fast, and you're not gaining free actions out of it so much as pre-empting your foe's actions.
>>
>>54674049

>trusting nuGW after they basically butchered Blood Bowl's community ruleset to sell it in "Season" expansions and card packs whilst pretending they'd resurrected it even though the tournament and 3rd party scene had thrived after they abandoned it

no
>>
>>54674049
Nah.

They can, and they will fuck it up.
>>
>>54674049
>Expecting a good game from GW.
Hue.
Perhaps 15 years ago.
>>
>>54677449
I heard Gorechosen was supposedly pretty fun.
>>
>>54677520
...said by the people who says AoS is great.

Yeah.
>>
>>54677537
My problem with AoS is it's
>writing
>design direction of the models
>pricing

I never even played it. I genuinely can't speak to wether or not it is fun.
There is enough other stuff that turns me off about it.

In my opinion 40k jumped the shark by now as well.

Mind you I am a jaded bitter old man, but I try not give into the hate by principle. Even though I have no love for GW these days they may still be able to bring out something decent from time to time.
>>
>>54677172
eeh, i played BB before they returned on it, the seasons thign is nto a problem, unless you want to get jewd into it and buy all the books, they made some retarded changes, but i believe all in all giving BB a new flow of players was pretty good.
>>
Hi,
just read Horizon Wars and I cannot find rules or costs for transport vehicles.
There is only a brief page on air transport but nothing for ground transport.
Am I missing something ?
>>
>>54677002
Gotcha. Think we're talking about two separate things. The atomic actions is one, and something that shows up in a lot of the more modern rulesets. Whether you do it with AP, short/long actions, whatever... just iterations of the same basic mechanic. I think that, on some level, you can completely divorce HOW a unit activates from WHEN it activates.

You interrupt system deals with the later question. How much of a decision making happens in declaring actions vs. resolving them? In your example, the APC drives to block marines, can the shooter switch to use an AT weapon instead?
>>
>>54677172
I love how the BB Community reacted with "Oh neat, another source of fantasy football miniatures" and went back to playing FUMBL and LRB
>>
>>54678391
actually fumbbl has rules updated with new BB rules for some reason.
>>
>>54677885
>Even though I have no love for GW these days they may still be able to bring out something decent from time to time.

Well they produce some fine miniatures every now and then. I'm planning on using converted primaris as Space Marines for other games in the bear future and I get some Elf/Dark Eldar boxes every time I want to do something lithe. Ebaying stuff is especially great for this.
>>
>>54678313
I need to hammer out the "no valid targets after an interrupt" section, as I scribbled them elsewhere, because I'm trying to figure them out. I figure the "invalid target" can mean three things:

-The target moved out of LOS (or in a transport)
-An interrupting unit moved in the way of LOS.
-An interrupting unit engaged in melee.

I am thinking the "quick fix" is that a unit may switch its target to a unit that is "up" in the stack, if the original target disappeared. If there is no valid target after that, it still performs its action as normal (which can be a "wasted" action in the case of a Combat Action).
>>
>>54675058
The game ia fun. The 2nd edition is leaps and bounds better than 1st. The gimmick with the cards can take some getting used to, though, and remembering all the stat symbols took me a while.

For what it's worth; the book is beautiful and has everything. $60 is a big inveatment for a single book, though, so grabbing the rulea for free from the website is a good idea.

The plastic minis are alright. Not terrible, but some detail is losf from the metals. But if you grab one of the Recon board game boxes you get two MERC teams plus a damn fun little board game.
>>
>>54679053
Continues to make me think of the stack mechanic from MTG (that's not a bad thing)... may be worth looking at those rules for inspiration. One cue you could take from there, if you think it might help, would be giving the different actions "speeds" - magic had like 3 or 4 grades of progressively more-instantaneous spell - and only allowing an action to be interrupted by an equal-or-faster action. You could use that to regulate some of the stranger interactions. It would also let you model firing speed for different weapons to an extent... make it so a SMG or shotgun will always beat an RPG or cannon on the draw, for instance.
>>
>>54677263
>>54677449
>>54677537

>being this salty

Gorechosen is one of the best beer and pretzel games I have ever played. Gangs of Commorragh is also pretty great even if the power gap between Helions and Reavers is pretty massive. Both are also really good value, even if you ignore the cross compatibility and take them as stand alone games.

As for AoS, it's an ok game with shit lore that replaced as shit game with great lore. So yeah I guess it's a net loss but I still enjoy it for what it is.

Being a salty contrarian is as bad as being a rabid geedub fanboy so you should probabley give it a rest.
>>
I've looked around at a bunch of miniatures sites, and I've noticed that they tending to be hugely lacking in qt grills (monster or otherwise). It seems like it could be an untapped market, and I'm eager and have most of the tool already to learn how to sculpt and cast miniatures, but I don't yet have a good idea for a game to put them in.

What would be a good concept for a monstergirl wargame?
>>
>>54681913
Hate to break it to you anon, but there do exist quite a few suppliers of qt grills.

Doubt there are many qt monster grills though
>>
>>54681913
A third of the minis in infinity are qt girls anon.
>>
>>54681969
Hmm, my google-fu must not be strong enough, in that case.
Everyone knows that monster girls are the patrician taste, of course.

>>54682098
I will admit that there are definitely a few, but either we have different definitions of cute or I didn't take a close enough look at the game and need to check it out again.

I'm far less concerned about whether or not they already exist, though. Also, Infinity is 25mm, isn't it? I'm not sure as to what scale I should use, bu I want my models to be usable as proxies/for kitbashing in other games.
>>
>>54682387
>Everyone knows that monster girls are the patrician taste, of course.

I hope you aren't referring to that weak Japanes shit they're trying to pawn off as "monster" girls.
>>
File: Uberfall_1.jpg (119KB, 742x516px) Image search: [Google]
Uberfall_1.jpg
119KB, 742x516px
>>54682387
Well, there are cute robos, cute girls with japanese/anime aesthethics, tough girls and monster girls, and probably a few more fetichs.
>>
File: Lizard2.jpg (144KB, 809x555px) Image search: [Google]
Lizard2.jpg
144KB, 809x555px
>>54682740
About the scale, 25/28 (than are those weird GW heroic proportions) it's the most comon for skirmish games, so pretty easy to use for generic games.
>>
File: Atalanta1.jpg (153KB, 809x555px) Image search: [Google]
Atalanta1.jpg
153KB, 809x555px
>>54682766
And a cute robo with a magical girls sniper.
>>
>>54681913
Malifaux also has an abundance of cute girls, some of whom are also monsters.
>>
>>54675336
I'll look into those, maybe 35mm also works well with the 32mm stuff I have.
>>
>>54681969
That's exactly why 32mm needs to take over from 28mm. Nearly fifty fucking years and faces still look like crap teaches us that the scale is just too small for proper female features. Even boutique stuff like Kingdom Death looks crappy.
>>
>>54683135
I've seen some pretty bad faces in 32mm too.
>>
>>54683629
Sure, a bigger scale isn't magically going to make a crappy sculptor better. But there are barely any good female faces at heroic, let alone 28mm proper.
>>
>>54666721

What I love about that figure is instead of typical OSL where you just slather the guy in orange or blue, he did normal highlights with maybe a bit of yellow mixed in at the very top, but angled as if the lantern was the light-source, rather than the normal top-down highlights. Looks infinitely better and is actually far easier than the slathering method.
>>
>>54686283
>maybe a bit of yellow mixed in at the very top
that's not true, all highlights are orangish. The big difference is he used colours which could be mixed well with orange/yellow for an highlight so it looks far more natural, instead of just glazing a random colour on top of another colour like people do for plasma or small lights. (of course the other difference is how big the OSL is, but you mentioned it). It's not that hard, but the glaze on top OSL is not that hard either.
They are two different techniques for different purposes.
>>
>>54666927

At least one of them should be barefoot DESU, still look bretty gud tho

>>54674270

Isn't Malifaux 32mm?
>>
>>54686980
>it's not yellow it's orangish

Kek, ok m8
>>
>>54687324
the important part was "all", not just the tip like you said
>>
>>54680541
No.
>>
>>54681913
yo, hasslefree.
>>
File: wew.gif (3MB, 300x169px) Image search: [Google]
wew.gif
3MB, 300x169px
>>54688502
>>
File: Look book.jpg (149KB, 612x612px) Image search: [Google]
Look book.jpg
149KB, 612x612px
>>54688502
Those are some good looking sculpts.
>>
>>54687414
It still looks really good. I like it better than most OSLs.
>>
>>54689324

REALLY good quality and customer service too.

It's been a couple of years since I've bought from them but I'm sure they are still pretty good.
>>
>>54687272
>Isn't Malifaux 32mm?
I think the new sculpts are, although they are a bit thinner than most miniatures by the looks of it. I'll look into them!
>>
>>54683135
Why would you choose kingdom death as an example? I thought you were arguing in FAVOR of 32mm. Anyway, this is a circular argument - of course larger scales have more detail than smaller. Why not just go to 54mm? Hell, go 1/16 for everything.

Personally, I think faces look fine at 6mm, so I'm gonna stick with that.
>>
>>54691903
Because 32mm hits a sweetspot between usability and demonstrably higher quality of sculpts. 54mm is wholly impractical to play with, unless you use them as tokens. I know it, I played Inquisitor way back.
>>
File: epic-sm-comparison.jpg (119KB, 1037x463px) Image search: [Google]
epic-sm-comparison.jpg
119KB, 1037x463px
>>54687272
>Isn't Malifaux 32mm?
Mixed. The original game was more or less the same "heroic" 28mm as 40K. The most recent rounds of sculpts have gotten progressively taller and thinner... going even beyond truescale 32mm in some cases, in terms of the fine features. Not personally to my taste - they make great display pieces, but most of them are way too fragile for regular gaming.

People forget that there are very good reasons for the "chunkiness" of traditional sculpts - you want your tabletop minis to be durable as playing pieces and highly visible from an arms-length, top-down perspective.

Take a look at this pic. Left side is a 3D render of an epic scale space marine, close up and head on, like a sales picture. It looks distorted af, giant shoulders, tiny feat, comically huge weapon, etc. Right side is how you actually see it on the table, and it looks "correct". The scaling is designed to compensate for the distance and perspective, making it easy to quickly spot and identify models on the table during play. The head-on view is irrelevant, because nobody ever sees it in that context.
>>
>>54691943
Sure, but Kingdom Death is 32mm, and you said it looks bad. I'm trying to figure out why you're offering counterexamples to your own argument.
>>
>>54692026
That wasn't me, but I've seen KD repeatedly being called 28mm. Turns out after some research that it's actually 35mm. Seems like Poots just can't sculpt faces for shit and I stand a corrected idiot because I only own a bunch of monsters and no humans from that line.
>>
>>54692081
actually i would be interested in which other examples you/ him have. It's filled with "28" mm minis nowadays and there isn't all that much difference really.
>>
>>54692117
Interested in what? 32mm/35mm lines?
>>
>>54692318
of bad 28 mm minis.
>>
>>54679314
I get the "speed" idea. I might add it later but for now I'm trying to keep it relatively simple. For now, I like the idea that you can keep pre-empting your foe, but you have to pay increasingly expensive Command Point costs.

I modified the Interrupt Stack rules some. Yesterday, I had an addendum called "Uptargeting", where if a unit lost its originally declared target, it could target another unit "above it" in the stack. I ran a test and saw some immediate problems: For example, Uptargeting would let you shoot the APC if it drove in front of the infantry target, but not if the unit ran behind the APC, and that's before you get into future scenarios, like an out-of-LOS spellcaster using telekinesis to push said APC in front.

So I replaced "Uptargeting" with "Blockers." Basically, if a unit is directly preventing an attacker from attacking its original intended target (be it as a transport, LOS blocking, or engaging the attacker in melee), the attacker may declare the Blocker as its new target. This attack can be interrupted in turn, with new interrupts going onto the same Stack (Only one stack, not multiple stacks for different re-targets!).

I like Blockers as it's more organic than trying to retrace your way up a "phantom stack" while remembering which attacks were resolved versus which weren't.
>>
>>54692081
KD minis have similar mass to 28mm heroic, but they are much taller... more than a head over typical GW stuff, and bigger in both dimensions than most malifaux (although GW and wyrd are both really inconsistent with scale, whereas KD is extremely consistent across their whole line).
>>
>>54692841
My point about the speed thing was it might organically resolve some of those problems. So for instance, maybe you have a "full advance" where a unit can move 6", say, but it's a Slow Action. Versus a "quick advance" or a "dive for cover", where its a Quick Action they only move 2", or don't move at all but get a cover bonus. The blocker situation then is still possible, but much less common.

So, like, if artillery over on the hill opens up, yes you have time to run behind that building. But if some dude 40 feet away opens up on your with an AR, maybe you have time to hit the deck, but you're certainly not going to be able to sprint 20 feet before the bullets reach you.
>>
So I am getting into Warmaster/Warmaster Ancients.

What is the best/cheapest miniature range? And should I be looked at 6mm or 10mm stuff?

Also why in the good fucking heavens is Warmaster Medieval impossible to find in .pdf form?
>>
>>54693579
>Also why in the good fucking heavens is Warmaster Medieval impossible to find in .pdf form?

/hwg/ has it.

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/81ck8x600cas4/Medieval#mmng6rdjr9sc3
>>
>>54691943
>let's fuck everyone with 28mm armies because reasons
Well, I fucking hate Prodos for the exact same thing.
>>
>>54692018
Who does dem qt space mans? My old GW plastics are...not exactly state of the art.
>>
>>54693579
>What is the best/cheapest miniature range? And should I be looked at 6mm or 10mm stuff?
Choice of scale depends on your preference and most common opponents. 10mm is the official scale, and my preferred, but there's a good argument for the "really big hugeness" quality of 6mm.

10mm - Eureka, Pendraken, Kallistra and Magister Militum have the biggest lines. Copplestone for LOTR stuff. There's also a few boutique manufacturers doing small lines. GW's old stuff can often be got used - especially orcs, elves, empire and dwarf - and the quality is very high on average.

Microworld is probably my favorite in 6mm, although there's a lot out there, especially for historical. In both scales, for fantasy, you can source monsters and other "big stuff" from all over the place, including other scales. I often use 15mm or 20mm guys for ogres and the like, and you can often make large monsters out of parts originally intended for 28mm.

Also worth pointing out that, for more esoteric stuff, 3D printing is a real option now. It's often on the pricier side, but you have the option to get EXACTLY what you're looking for.
>>
>>54693862
>Who does dem qt space mans? My old GW plastics are...not exactly state of the art.
It's just a model for example. I think the guy did those up on a home 3D printer.

IMO, best bet for epic scale not-GW stuff now is Vanguard, Onslaught, or Age Of Tyrants. All those guys are turning out some really good looking stuff lately.
>>
>>54693654

Fuggin dope, thanks anon.

>>54693910
I think I was mainly looking at 10mm for ease of painting-- I am not a good painter and the mere thought of trying to get the nubbins of a 6mm dude makes my hand cramp.
>>
>>54693979
>I think I was mainly looking at 10mm for ease of painting-- I am not a good painter and the mere thought of trying to get the nubbins of a 6mm dude makes my hand cramp.
So, it's probably a bit counterintuitive, but small scale stuff (this goes for both 10mm and 6mm) is often EASIER to paint. The size of the models changes, but the level of detail doesn't really. Just keep in mind the old maxim about making sure it looks good from arms length. Use a couple of bold colors, and don't overthink it. Your opponent is seeing your dudes from across the table, not under a magnifying glass.
>>
File: brut simple.pdf (222KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
brut simple.pdf
222KB, 1x1px
Hi, I know this isn't exactly the right thread but I was wondering if anyone could take the time to read my homebrew skirmish wargame. I'd post on /gdg/ but they haven't been very helpful in the past and there isn't even a thread right now.

The pdf is 20 pages and I'm mostly interested in problems with the system and with units. I know it's really generic and bland but it's just something for my group to play when we're sick of 40k and stuff.
>>
Scrappers or Rogue Stars ?

Also, why do Osprey's PDFs suck so bad when the books look so nice?
>>
>>54694199

>no under a magnifying glass
You're playing games wrong.
>>
>>54694514
It depends on which of them do you like - postapoc games or scifi games?

As for the other one - because folks usually buy ebooks, that are in mobi, epub, or whatever format - which needs to be converted to pdf, and that makes formatting go poo, as it was optimized to a varying font type etc. Warlord thus sells their digital books in both ebook (epud I think) which is optimized for ebook readers, and normal pdfs, which are the exact same thing as the rulebooks, but on your screen.

Hope it's clear.
>>
>>54674270
Eden, if you're into weird, badly translated french post-apo.
>>
>>54693937
Dang, tiny minis are cute.
>>
>>54694635

I dig both. Will be building the wargame scene at my university. Small figure counts and some sort of progression system are most desirable to me.
>>
>>54692620
Well there's a lot of them. They often aee also lower priced and/or garage operations, so it's forgivable.
What I'm on about specifically are crappy female faces and there are loads about. Even the best modern examples like Lelith Hesperax, Celestine + entourage or Greyfax are... servicable at best. Infinity misses the mark on the regular and terribly so.
If you want examples of horrendous female faces, just browse GW stuff, Privateer Press or Reaper. They all have high points, of course, but the okay-terrible ratio is ridiculous.
>no pics because phoneposting with unstable connection
>>
>>54694991
>GW stuff
as i imagined, gw has been 32mm since about 2007-2010, i am nto sure about the others, but i believe privateer goes around the same scale as GW. The difference between 32 and 28 is neglegible in sculpt quality. That's not the reason you don't like the sculpts, it's just they are bad sculpts or not made with the style you are looking for.
>>
>>54695494
GW and PP are very much 28mm heroic, as identified by their overblown heads and hands. GW has recently started doing 32mm with AoS, Primaris or Sisters of Silence, though.
32mm proper usually has way better proportions by virtue of not being as squished.
>>
>>54695605
no Gw has been creeping beyond 28 mm heroic since 2000, it was 32 mm heroic
>>
>>54692018
>People forget that there are very good reasons for the "chunkiness" of traditional sculpts - you want your tabletop minis to be durable as playing pieces and highly visible from an arms-length, top-down perspective.
YES. They're toy soldiers, not works of art, you have to compromise and choose an artistic style that works for their actual use.

some sculptors and companies really, really fuck this up, with models that are borderline unusable at the table. which is great, fine, they're fancy art-sculpts, but don't make your entire game using them you wankers.
>>
>>54694514
>Scrappers or Rogue Stars ?
This Is Not A Test.

eh, Rogue Stars would be my pick out of those two, but I'm not that big a fan of either - one's too crunchy in ways I dislike, the other's not just another Sfiligoi game but it's still another Sfiligoi game, and I burned out on his style a while back.

>>54694641
>weird, badly translated french post-apo.
now you're making me want to do 54mm EYE, probably using something like Inquisitor, with a referee running the scenario even if it's a straight-up group-on-group fight.
>>
>>54696199
>but it's still another Sfiligoi game, and I burned out on his style a while back.
Can you tell me more about your complaints re his style? The biggest thing I can see is a weird love of not having stats but then having special rules everywhere.
Do you dislike his Activation mechanic?
>>
>>54694484
Downloaded. I'll have a look and get back to you. The main thing I could think of is renaming the USRs to "say what they are." For example, Vampire = On attack(Heal 1/3 inflicted damage), or something more composite like that.

Quick question about Hit and Run. Since move and attack are separate actions, if I move then attack, I can't use the extra MP because that is its own action, right? Why not just separate MP and AP altogether, though that might be a bit too Gorky-17.
>>
>>54693937
Age of Tyrants is out?
I haven't been keeping up with it.
>>
>>54693395
Gotcha. I'll give it some serious consideration. Talisman uses a "speed mechanic" for drawing adventure cards on a space for different effects (monsters have a lower number, so you must defeat them to grab any treasure they guard, etc) so I can see the appeal.

Thanks for the feedback by the way. I think I'm onto something good here, and am definitely looking forward to getting a more "serious" game in with it. I'm trying to make the system easy to port for that reason (even if the core system is still ultimately meant to be a middle ground between skirmish and platoon gaming)
>>
>>54696543
It isn't.
>>
>>54696314
>Can you tell me more about your complaints re his style? The biggest thing I can see is a weird love of not having stats but then having special rules everywhere.
That's really a big part of it, coming from SoBaH.

I don't hate him, I just don't really... care.
>>
>>54696412
MP and AP are kind of separated already, once you take the Move action you get MOV points of MP, which you can then spend whenever on your activation. So it's not 'use the Move action to move' it's 'use the Move action to get MP' then 'spend MP to move.'

Did you just misread that or was it not actually clear?
>>
>>54696926
I see, I misread it. "Move" just "grants" MP equal to movement, rather than movement itself being an action. I got hung up on the wording of resolving movement "as if it was its own action" and got confused, since I saw the rules for movement under the move action itself, so I definitely misread.

Does this mean that if I have Hit&Run and start adjacent to an enemy unit, I could attack it, gain 2 moves, move 2 to attack a 2nd enemy then move another 2, Zones of Control permitting?

I've been playing a fair bit of FE: Heroes so I have really been on a "move gimmicks" kick lately. Stuff like "swap spaces with your enemy", "move backwards one square and move the enemy in your square", etc.
>>
>>54697166
Yeah, you definitely could. If you didn't kill the first one you'd take an attack of opportunity from it though.
>>
>>54694484
this thread is indeed the right one, will read into it
>>
File: DSCF5302.jpg (2MB, 4000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
DSCF5302.jpg
2MB, 4000x3000px
Because they were sitting on my desk forever, I painted up the first Terminator Genisys Resistance fighter to test the scheme.

I like it.

20 or 30 points, depending on whether I take him as a soldier or an NCO - only 16 left for a small army, and I need to make tons of conversions as the base 4 bodies are really nothing.
>>
>>54688195

Spotted the ass blasted contrarian.
>>
>>54689324

You should follow them on facebook, the sculptor regularly posts his wips, they're really interesting.

I don't know if it's normal to start with a naked mini and then sculpt clothing and equipment on them but I think it's a big part of what make HF sculpts look so natural.

The sculpts are also good enough that they fool facebook's anti nudity drones so every now and then they get flagged which is kind of funny but also a pain in the arse for HF.
>>
Does anyone know of any 28mm scale mechanical/robotic horses?

The only ones I've been able to find are from Copper Mine Miniatures and they stopped trading this year.
>>
>>54700997
There's the Malifaux Mechanical Rider, there was a WHFB one you might still be able to get, too.
>>
>>54696199
>now you're making me want to do 54mm EYE

make sure to armour your legs to make sure they're OK?
>>
>>54695735
32mm is significantly taller than most of GW's offerings until recently

Also, next thread should be scale autism edition at this rate
>>
File: Ground-Command-Bataille.jpg (80KB, 580x279px) Image search: [Google]
Ground-Command-Bataille.jpg
80KB, 580x279px
Anyone have experience with Halo Ground Command? I like Halo crap, and have been thinking about getting into a 15mm game at some point.
>>
>>54696199
I had fun with three games of Rouge Stars but then it just dropped from my interests for me- not smooth flowing enough for me.
>>
>>54702806
I've bought a bunch of their stuff so far, but not actually got a game in yet, so can't speak for the rules.

The stuff says it's 1:100 (15mm) scale, but I don't quite believe it, as even the human infantry are a bit tall. Guess that doesn't really matter for the aliens though. Not sure I agree with the price range for some of their product, but that could be them making up for the licensing costs.
>>
>>54679314
>magic had like 3 or 4 grades of progressively more-instantaneous spell
this sounds more yu gi oh then magic, maybe you are referrign to the beginning of magic? whihc i am not familiar with. Currently magic has 2,5 speeds, sorcery, instant and split second which stops interaction entirely.
>>54674376
some intiial thoughts:
You didn't write(or i didn't see) that defend only affects shooting. Is that the case?
Of course this is just a draft and not the final version, so i can see why you kept the wording simple, but combat lets you move 3" away from an enemy without free strikes and then 3" more because of no targets.
Defend seems very very good, is that how it works in 8th eidtion? I have no idea about the game state right nwo, but halving the hits you get seems very good. Also consider removing the 4+ rule and makign either round up or down just to make the game roll faster.
I didn't catch how much you mean to change, do you want to keep the game as similar as possible so as to be able to use tweaked official codex or do you want to do your own thing?
If you don't want to keep yourself as close to the base game as possible, consider expanding on the interrupts, maybe(i ma just throwing random ideas) stuff like suppressing to stop someone from acting or giving him a malus, maybe making defend an interrupt only, so that you use it against a single action only. I am pretty sure the concept is the msot interesting thing here and it diserves expanding.
>>
>>54669340
dragon ramant is a mass battles fantasy wargame, like what warhammer fantasy battles was

song of blades and heroes is a small skirmish game
>>
>>54696199
I like sfiligoi's stuff, but I did not like rogue stars. I am still pretty stoked about anything using the SoBaH engine though. He's working on a scifi game I am hoping to be able to beta test, called Harder than Steel
>>
File: TH engage CMI 002.jpg (410KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
TH engage CMI 002.jpg
410KB, 1600x1200px
>>
>>54706699
What is that supposed to be from?
>>
>>54705905
>dragon ramant is a mass battles fantasy wargame
Nigga, what
>>
>>54707774

>>dragon ramant is a mass battles fantasy wargame
>Nigga, what

Each basic part of your army has more than one figure in it & represents more than one warrior.
Which part don't you get?
>>
>>54707805
>>54707774
clam down it's semantics, it's definitely not a skirmish game but it's small.
>>
>>54707805
Except they don't represent more than one, the figures are not in formations, and using squads doesn't make it "mass combat".

By your definition SAGA is a mass combat game as well...
>>
>>54707825
Dragon Rampant sure as hell isn't a skirmish game. It's mass battles because it's designed to handle really high model count armies. Something SoBaH breaks down attempting. Therein lies the difference between dragon rampant.

Dragon Rampant is high model count armies, aka mass battles
SoBaH is low model count, aka skirmish
>>
>>54707825

>Except they don't represent more than one,
>Multiple figures = one warrior.
Ooookay ...
Maybe I should've put "& thus represents more than one warrior" for absolute accuracy - but here I thought people here are smart & will figure it out.

>the figures are not in formations,
So? They're massed, that's what counts.
Besides, it's medieval period - formations are (virtually) unknown here.

>using squads doesn't make it "mass combat".
Yeah, it does.
Or are you going to tell me a skirmish = lots of people fighting.

>By your definition SAGA is a mass combat game as well...
Of course.

>>54707863 is right:
Dragon Rampant is DESIGNED for battles between units of 6 or 12 men (or equivalent-sized monsters/heroes) in them.
It's not even a skirmish game pretending to be mass-battle.
>>
>>54707863
>>54707907
"Large skirmish" is a thing you know.
>>
>>54707949
yes, but the difference between skirmish and mass battles is in how the units work, not the scale of the battle, rampant is a small mass battles , becuase it has regiments. But again it's just semantics, who cares?
>>
>>54707970
>write 3 replies, each with more than one line
>lol who cares
>>
>>54707970
Really the definition of "skirmish" is about as nebulous as AoS' setting. It's really generally relative to what it's being compared to.
>>
>>54707987

>skirmish
>nebulous

IMHO:
'pure' skirmish = individuals in action (moving & fighting on their own)
Large (or mass) skirmish = individuals moving in 'regimented' clumps but fighting individually
mass battle = 'regiments' moving and fighting - with no regard for individuals.

So, 1 'casualty' in a skirmish game = 1 man down.
OTOH, 1 'casualty' in a mass battle game = regiment's a bit weaker.
>>
>>54707984
i am not one of those you were talking to
>>
>>54707907
>Besides, it's medieval period - formations are (virtually) unknown here.

This triggered me.
>>
>>54709237

Show me on the doll where the big, bad faggot touched you, anon.
>>
>/awg/ - arguing wankers general
>>
>>54709675
There's only three things to do here: Post miniatures, discuss rulesets and argue about asinine stuff. Nobody does the first, we did the second and now we are doing the third.
>>
>>54709997
>discuss rulesets

Hokay, I's got one:
How come there's no 'popular' (or at least 'well-known') strategic (grand strategy?) wargames?

Besides the 'Campaign for North Africa', I mean.
>>
>>54709675
I disagree.
>>
>>54709997
soviet goblin soon, i promise
>>
>>54705825
Not going to lie here. I originally started as it being an "alternating activation 40k" project, but I'm interested in doing my own thing with it, whether using it for fantasy skirmish (aka a Mount&Blade tabletop) or a Mad Maxesque vehicle combat game. Or just keep the core rules as modular as possible, because who wouldn't want a game where you could do Malifaux vs Warmachine vs WHFB Skaven Super Smash Throwdown?

Good catch on melee. I'll edit it some more. The 3"/3" is to get rid of the need for a separate "Pile In" move like 6e/8e 40k or 5e "Defenders React", and give a move bonus for charging. (There's no need for "Full Advance" vs "Run" vs "Charge" ala WMH this way). RAI, you need an actual melee or "pistol" target to do the 3" step.

Defend is only versus Shooting, yes! There is no "Defend" equivalent in 8th. Smoke Launchers are just a flat -1 to hit penalty. This naturally hurts Orks shooting way more than Marines; GW RAW also now means Smoke Launchers double the chance of Plasma exploding. 7th of course had Smoke, Go to Ground, and Jink. I may round "up" the die roll of course. Some units/weapons may have a Guardbreaker ability (imagining any weapon with a "Stun" motif) that can remove a Defend Token.

Morale is checked at the beginning of the phase. I might change it from "for each unit that attacks" to "for each attack that wounds" or so. The idea of "Shaken vs Routed" was influenced some by Kings of War. I may have some units resilient to being Interrupted (Example: It costs an extra CP to Interrupt a Daemonette unit due to...distraction), but I'm erring on the side of caution, because if I make it too easy to ignore Interrupts. I want it to be a game where both players feel like they can make real choices regardless of whose turn it is, rather than one person doing a massive alphastrike, the other person only rolling armor saves.
>>
>>54711511
i am sorry i don't understand why you told me about morale, were you just adding? i don't get in response to what you wrote it.
for what you said about expanding on interrupts, ithink you got my idea wrong, i mean giving the "defending player" more options, like instead of moving or shooting you suppress the active player, not the other way around.
>>
>>54694484
i am now beginnign to read, i will make a big response about everythign once i am doen, i just felt liek tellign you in advance.
>Whenever a rule is unclear or poorly worded, or when the outcome of a situation is unclear, all
interested or involved players should decide what they think would happen and provide their
reasoning. If one such outcome cannot be agreed upon, all players involved must roll 1d6 per
player, rerolling any ties; the high roller wins and decides the outcome or interpretation.

this rule triggers me ifinitely, it's a traditional game, player agency should be implied, don't regulate it, just imply they will do it alone.
>>
>>54711686
Ah, I brought up morale since failing it at the start of the turn means less actions. Still working on tweaking it of course. Every unit starts off with 2 actions per turn. The reason I brought morale up is the game uses "suppression" (think similar to Disruption in Epic or Pins in Bolt Action). If you fail Leadership at the start of your turn, but by less than twice your Leadership Rating, you place a "junk" action token on the unit. This also means the unit cannot activate or Interrupt that turn unless you spend a Command Point on it. I imagine there could be some weapons that force immediate morale checks (Sniper Rifles, etc) or so, but it's still being tweaked.

I'd have to think more about it. The game is intentionally somewhat slanted in favor of activations (2 actions) interrupts (1 action), but also so that having a large round of consecutive activations will cost an increasing amount of CP. 2 rounds of activating 2 units will cost 2 CP. 1 round activating 4 units will cost 6 CP. Meaning less interrupts, half-activations, and stuff popping from Reserves. One of the most powerful 7e lists was the Warp Spider army of doom, which could place nearly everything in Reserve, drop in reliably (9 units, dropping in on 2+), shoot up the enemy point blank (hitting on 2+, mass S6), and then move to safety in the scope of a turn. If you shot them, they got a free move. If you tried to assault them, they got a free round of Overwatch, and if you failed to kill them, they got another free round of movement thanks to Hit & Run. I'm trying to avoid scenarios like that, where the game falls apart because one player is almost getting a full turn's worth of extra "free" actions.
>>
>>54711897
for what ti's worth reaciton beign good killed warhammer because they are retarded about it, many games have far more reactions than that and they still thrive. Making reactions good doesn't automatically make them broken. But i cna definitely get behind keeping it simple.
As for suppression and mroale stuff, sorry i didn't get what you meanst, for me suppression and morale are different concepts and i didn't get you meant them to be linked together.
>>
>>54710543
I think there are plenty, it's just that they are hex n chit and thus even more obscure than regular awgs
>>
File: watercolor-grunge-000002-gray1.jpg (208KB, 791x658px) Image search: [Google]
watercolor-grunge-000002-gray1.jpg
208KB, 791x658px
So I heard you guys have monstergirl fetish. .
>>
Did MegaCon Games nuke their forums? They weren't heavily used, but it was the most active discussion about the game that I knew of.

Was debating if I should give it another shot, with the revised rules and full army kits.
>>
>>54666721
In the last thread someone asked about the Judge Dredd game. I was talking to Warlord staff at a con today and they confirmed they are gonna release 2000AD minis. The man in charge of it is a big 2000AD fan and hes wanting more games released (rogue trooper and possibly Strontium Dog) and better quality miniatures released
>>
File: cheers.jpg (3MB, 3600x2400px) Image search: [Google]
cheers.jpg
3MB, 3600x2400px
>>54714766
I asked, thanks for the info. I really hope for a Rogue Trooper game, and I ordered the Mongoose started with the expansion from eBay...hope Warlord will either re-release that under their own name instead of creating an entirely new game. Reading the rules gave me the impression that it's a pretty solid game, basically Necromunda, but from the source material Necromunda was made of.

Thanks again anon, I'll come back with some pictures once I get the starter in my hand and painted up some minis.
>>
Should I get SoBaH or ASoBaH? I have a PDF of SoBaH and it seems fun, but I don't have a PDF of ASoBaH so I don't know if it's better or not. Does ASoBaH overcomplicate the system or is the additional stuff optional? Also are the SoBaH expansions compatible with ASoBaH? I don't want to miss out on the Arthurian expansion if I get ASoBaH
>>
File: See for yourself.pdf (2MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
See for yourself.pdf
2MB, 1x1px
>>54716270
>>
>>54705825
>this sounds more yu gi oh then magic, maybe you are referrign to the beginning of magic? whihc i am not familiar with. Currently magic has 2,5 speeds, sorcery, instant and split second which stops interaction entirely.
Yeah, back before the mass integration into "instant" and re-labeling mana sources you had the following speed tree

• Mana Source (resolves instantly)
• Interrupt (can interrupt anything but a Mana Source. Interrupts played out LIFO, so you could Counter a Counter)
• Instant (Can be played out of sequence, can interrupt a Sorcery but not an Interrupt. Instants cannot be played in response to an Instant).
• Monster abilities defaulted to Instants; spell alteration/countering was usually an Interrupt and of course most Mana sources were, well, Mana sources. Except the ones you could only play as an Instant or Sorcery, and could therefor ALSO be responded to.
• Sorceries and permanents. Slowest spells; everything else resolves before they do.

Needless to say, this was a huge fucking mess and the source of most of the early errata in Alpha/Beta/Revised. By 4e they'd cleaned it up a little (mana sources were added to the "payment" part of playing a card instead of being a separate effect), and 5e went to The Stack. They also changed the way mana behaved considerably; initially you could have a Sorcery-speed spell that also gave you mana but wasn't played as a "Mana Source" - which meant it could be countered or interrupted and you wouldn't have the mana in your pool until it resolved.

Being a judge in those days was.. weird. Especially since Wizards changed the ways pretty much everything worked like two weeks before the GT once (thank God I wasn't involved)
>>
>>54716270
SoBaH is a simpler version of ASoBaH. The song of Arthur is for the original SoBaH. The advanced one a lot of people like because it has a lot more options for players, but I'm not a fan because I think it adds too much. But they are generally compatible with each other. You can use ASoBaH traits with SoBaH if you want. But generally ASoBaH characters are more points than SoBaH characters because of all the additional traits.
>>
File: Operation Stop Gap 018.jpg (251KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Operation Stop Gap 018.jpg
251KB, 1600x1200px
>>54707679
Some guy used to do near future imagi-nations. It's some fallout-esque African thingy.
>>
I'm drafting a Mass Effect wargame. Anyone want to check it out when I'm done?
>>
File: Regular Show Cast.jpg (357KB, 746x582px) Image search: [Google]
Regular Show Cast.jpg
357KB, 746x582px
For some reason.
>>
Is the only way to get Arena Rex stuff from their online store? An EU based stire would be great.
>>
So how would you go about fantasy-ing up an English civil war army?

Due to a cock up with an order warlord games have sent me a bunch of coupons and I'm thinking about using them to make a kingdoms of men army for kings of war.

Settled on the English civil war stuff as I like the look and a shooty horde is the polar opposite of my current army.

I don't want it to just be a historical army though and would like some fantasy elements but I'm just not sure how to achieve it.
>>
>>54719428
Macrocosm have ECW dwarves.

As for themes, the Parliamentarians in particular had a pretty solid religious core so maybe battle priests or whatever.
>>
Any upcoming GenCon releases anyone is excited about?
>>
>>54716494
Damn where did you find this? Been looking everywhere
>>
>>54714036
No idea. I avoid official forums like the plague.

MERCS 2.0 is damn fun, though. I really suggest grabbing one of the Recon boxes as if all else fails you can still play the board game(admittedly the one with Waza and KemVar is better balanced for MERCS than the one with EU and CCC).
>>
>>54719009
Yes.
>>
>>54719009
I'll probably never play it, but I'm definitely curious to see how you go about this.
>>
>>54694514
>>54696199
Agreed. This is Not a Test is much better than both Scrappers or Rogue Stars, which are disorganized messes.
Far stronger campaign system and theming can still be easily adjusted.
>>
>>54719058
I don't think there's an EU distributor, I've been looking for one for ages. It sucks.

>>54719428
Get some fancy models like:

http://www.gringo40s.com/maximillians-palace-guard.html

Maybe get a retro looking dragon or some pegasi or something, too? For a wizard find some nobleman model from the era or something.
>>
>>54712396
Yep. I mean, World in Flames is one of the big boys, with a ton of expansions and a long history. Personally, I like the East Front/West Front/EuroFront series, which is a block game.
>>
>>54719428
It's aimed slightly later, but you might get some ideas out of Donnybrook - it's a historical game, but has options and suggestions for a lot of fantasy and superstitious elements. It's in the Horse & Musket mediafire over in /hwg/.
>>
>>54680541

You must have not played very many games.

Gorechosen is like most of the 'lite' games that came out recently are bland as fuck. I have no idea about GoC, but its probably more of the same.

WFB was a flawed mass battle game with great lore.

AoS is a shit skirmish game with shit lore. There are plenty of way more interesting systems in the skirmish category.
>>
>>54729151
>AoS is a shit skirmish game with shit lore
I disagree and disagree. But this is not the time and place for an AoS argument. I don't come here for that.

So let's keep the conversation about alternative wagames, shall we?
>>
>>54719058
>>54726818
i asked them directly on Fb, they claim to be the only online store that sells arena,you either make a huge ass 150 dollars order for free shipment or you find a store near you.
>>54729354
if you don't want to make an arguement don't answer to him then.He knows you disagree, sayign that doens't change much, just let the post unanswered and he can't argue alone, can he?
>>
>>54729607
I'm not the guy he's replying to, I'm just trying to keep the shitflinging in check from all parties.
>>
>>54729774
point stands except for the "he knows part"
>>
>>54718936
You mean AK-47 Republic or something else?
>>
File: tumblr_mq4nmaN6xO1sbqddfo1_1280.jpg (145KB, 557x797px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mq4nmaN6xO1sbqddfo1_1280.jpg
145KB, 557x797px
>>54719428
>So how would you go about fantasy-ing up an English civil war army?
Add wizards, use a handful of obviously anachronistic stuff that's clearly magical, and incorporate some weirdo shit. Irish Halfling cannibal mercenaries, Witch Hunters, whatever.

You should hit up the /osrg/ trove for some Lamentations of the Flame Princess stuff for ideas too - specifically, "England Upturn'd", "No Salvation For Witches" and "Forgive Us" have some cool character illustrations and critter ideas. All are set in the early Wars of Religion, and EU specifically is a ECW module with a bunch of cool shit to plunder.

There's also this (the original cover of one of the modules) - some Skavenesque sorcerous weaponry goes a long way towards making shit look fantasy without completely ruining the look of the army. Reaper makes a pretty decent Plague Doctor in their Chronoscope line that'd be a good foundation for the gun captain.
>>
anyone have the pdf of Reaper by Rick Priestly?
>>
>>54723802
>>54723819
I'll share a PDF when I'm done. Sorta synthesizing stuff from FiveCore and 8th Edition 40k, trying to keep stuff pretty simple core rules-wise but the scenario special rules for environments and objectives etc should be fun, and I'm gonna throw in a load of narrative campaign elements too.
>>
>>54732462
FiveCore and 8e 40k?

What are your influences from those?
>>
>>54732484
Objective-focused, narrative wargaming, something 40k has never done all that well. 40k's mechanics are tried and tested, and work pretty well in low-figure count skirmish type stuff like Necromunda etc.
>>
>>54731316
Carnevale has some sweet plague doctor models, too, which may work.
>>
>>54715085
No worries pal I'm hoping they branch out into rogue trooper, stronny dog, ABC warriors and they'll make them plastic, I look forward to your future posts
>>
>>54733222
Hm.
You're using Fivecores game design theory, but 40k's mechanics?

What's your turn order and unit activation look like? Did you take from 40k or Fivecore there?
>>
>>54733354
Every unit has an initiative value, so at the start of each turn, roll a d6 for each character/unit and add their initiative value. Gives an RPG-style initiative order through each phase.
>>
File: Zeds - October 24.jpg (769KB, 2552x1312px) Image search: [Google]
Zeds - October 24.jpg
769KB, 2552x1312px
>>54733317
>Carnevale has some sweet plague doctor models, too, which may work.
Thanks for the tip, I'd been looking for more because the Reaper one is one of those stick-figure "I just learned to cast and what is this" designs. Looks good with the Colt Navy Percussion I gave him but just kinda fence-posty.
>>
>>54719484
>>54726818
>>54727133
>>54731316

Cheers for the suggestions guys.
>>
Anyone have a copy of Horizon Wars they could share? Craving some tiny sci-fi imagi-nation stuffsand want to see if the rules are worth it.
>>
>>54737299
Got a version that was taken with a camera, but it has some bookmarks and is perfectly legible.
sendspace.com
/file/n8qv8k
>>
>>54738660
Cheers
>>
File: Greenstuff.jpg (38KB, 630x491px) Image search: [Google]
Greenstuff.jpg
38KB, 630x491px
Bump
>>
https://youtu.be/u0hB3gJR3aU
>>
>>54741858
Honestly, 80% of the appeal of Kings of War (for me at least) is the ability to mount miniatures on little dioramas and inject a bit of life into my units.

Are there really people who just want to play it like its warhammer with movement trays and individually based models?
>>
>>54742774
I talked with people than found removing minis to be a plus.
You find everything in /tg/.
>>
>>54742774
Nearly all of my models get used for a couple of things. Fantasy models especially usually ends up getting drafted into RPGs, so I prefer keeping at least some stuff individually based.
>>
>>54680541
Gorechosen literally has "Roll or you are 1hko" cards. I'm sorry anon, it's shit.
>>
>>54742774
Most people come into wargaming through 40k or WHFB, so not removing casualties seems alien and stupid to them. It's weird how people get hung up on stuff like that.
>>
>>54742993

If you disingenuously misrepresent the mechanics of a game you've never played you can make anything sound crap.

Theres one card. One. In the entire game that causes instant death and it's not even an attack card it's a critical injury card so you have to deal 8 wounds to an opponent or deal a crippling blow before you even get the chance to draw it. Given how the game actually plays this is quite unlikely.

Like I said it's a good beer and pretzels game, it takes no time to set up and plays quickly. In the extremely unlikely event you get decapitated on turn one then just set up the game again. Every game I've played of it has had a good back and forth and the decap card has only come up twice and only succeeded once and it was during the endgame anyway.

You'd know this if you knew anything about the game or had played it.
>>
>>54743980
Fuck off AoShitter, no one wants you or your cheap imitation of mantic rulesets.
>>
>>54717247
Yeah, I should have clarified - I have no idea what modern MTG looks like. Last time I played, it had the stack, with the rule being that only equal-or-faster effects relative to the last effect on the stack could be used. That's the mechanic I was referring to.

So you'd break actions down into, say:
Slow - heavy weapons fire, full moves, deploy from reserve
Medium - regular weapons fire, short moves, take cover
Fast - sidearms / "instant" weapons

And then you'd do it, same way, a stack of actions and reactions that you 'unwind'.
>>
>>54742774
>Are there really people who just want to play it like its warhammer with movement trays and individually based models?
Worth pointing out that a lot of the appeal of KOW to most of us is that it lets us use the armies we'd already built for WHFB. So it's really just a relic. Dioramas are cool though, I've got no problem with that.
>>
>>54744846
>a lot of the appeal of KOW to most of us is that it lets us use the armies we'd already built

This is the truth. KoW built and expanded its base on WHFB players that left or got hung out to dry. The entire appeal of KoW was to be another 28mm mass battle ruleset, but with modern sensibilities. And the 28mm part made it the only direct competitor and thus go-to game for Ex-WHFB players.
I should really dust off my Hochland army and give it a whirl in KoW
>>
>>54745096
>but with modern sensibilities

>tfw it's still fully IGoUGo with a strict phase order
Would be amazing if they had changed off that.
>>
>>54745112
Not every game has to be lord of the rings, KoW is fine as 8th edition Fantasy with all cancer removed.
>>
Is there a game that has an invisibility mechanic? And I don't mean stealth or spot check, I mean full invisibility like in video games.
If someone could point me to decent turn on/off stealth, that would be fine too.
>>
>>54745873
Lotr.
But watch out because the nazgul all wanna buttfuck you if you do, and only 2 guys have that ability but not more than one and of both are included then only the youngest has it.
>>
Has anyone here played SoBaH? I don't know if I'm just doing something wrong or not but Magic-Users seem really bad. Like you roll the dice and pray that the target is in range and that you get a decent Combat score while your enemy probably has a decent one gaurunteed. Plus rangers usually have long range right off the bat too. Am I missing something? Why would I pick a wizard over an archer in this game?
>>
>>54745112
>tfw it's still fully IGoUGo with a strict phase order
>Would be amazing if they had changed off that.
Couldn't disagree more. One of the biggest things KOW does right is take a 28mm mass battle game and make it fast to play. With a little practice, you can play full size games in under an hour - what would have taken 3 hours or longer in most WHFB editions.

The streamlining of the turn order and removing out-of-sequence player actions is a big part of that. KOW is a case study in how to do IgoUgo right - taking advantage of the system's strengths and minimizing its disadvantages.
>>
>>54745112
Not necessarily. The IGoUGo isn't bad per se, especially if downtime is low. It's just that many games with this stuff have crappy design in the first place.

>>54745873
Infinity, with stealthed units moving around as tokens.
>>
>>54745873
>Is there a game that has an invisibility mechanic? And I don't mean stealth or spot check, I mean full invisibility like in video games.
>If someone could point me to decent turn on/off stealth, that would be fine too.

Full Thrust has incredible cloaking device rules.

It's a game with secret orders (you write down your movement then reveal and resolve it simultaneously) and if you're using cloaking the procedure is:

1) Note down in secret how many turns you are going to be concealed for, and plot that many turns' movement.
2) During your order resolution phase place a "last known position" token (LKP) at your location and remove the model from the table.
3) On the turn you reveal, measure your plotted course from the LKP, show it to your opponent and replace the model.

You can't do anything else while invisible.
>>
>>54742774
Yeah, I'd like to use my figs for skirmishes, dungeon crawlers and (the IMHO superior system) Armies of Arcana.

No need to be hostile towards those who prefer one style over another.
>>
File: AoS - Fun is Mandatory.png (493KB, 1100x900px) Image search: [Google]
AoS - Fun is Mandatory.png
493KB, 1100x900px
>>
>>54666721

Anyone have the frostgrave mag spellcaster?

I'm happy to buy his bigger books...but im not spending 5 dollary-doos for one specific set of rules.

Would settle for just the firearms rules.
>>
>>54746974
Take your buttpain somewhere else and stopping spamming about AoS. If you want autistic screeching, /aosg/ or /40kg/ is around the corner.
>>
>>54746974
The early days of shitposting when AoS came out were glorious. Posts were being deleted and threads locked for making up obviously fake quotes, and all people were doing was copying and pasting from the rules and Black Library previews.

wriggle. wriggle.
>>
File: CMt084HU8AA5Gvw.png (173KB, 1024x181px) Image search: [Google]
CMt084HU8AA5Gvw.png
173KB, 1024x181px
>>54747190
never forget the stormcast babynade and the sludge-punching fury
>>
>>54747222
What the actual fuck am I reading right now.
>>
>>54747264
I'm pretty sure the babynade was a shitpost and not actually published AoS fiction.

>A wrathmonger had his leg chewed off, sending him into a sludge-punching fury, but his fist became entangled in the sinewy stickiness of daemon flesh.
sludge-punching fury was real though, as was wriggle. wriggle.
>>
What are some simple games on the level of SoBaH? Genre doesn't matter
>>
>>54745942
That's intentional. The designer didn't want magic to dominate the game. He intentionally wanted melee>range>magic.

Now range attacks usually have penalities to shooting, so make sure you are accounting for that. But magic does not have those range penalties. Just the random range. Also magic has an awesome tool, which is transfix. Don't ignore that because casting it on a figure usually means the next blow on it is lethal.

Now the game has 3 really cool supplements that add more magic user types. Song of gold and darkness introduces the necromancer, song of wind and water introduces the elementalist, song of deeds and glory gives you another one, I don't remember off the top of my head. Those 3 supplements I definitely recommend as they provide more traits and terrain and scenarios and even a campaign system. Check them out.
>>
>>54747343
five men in normandy/fivecore
>>
>>54747348
Cool thanks man
>>
>>54747348
How do you think I could change the system to make it more balanced?
>>
>>54747958
Honestly, don't. It's refreshing to have a game where melee dominates. Too many games fall into the trap of making ranged and magic too powerful. The funny thing is in this game, ranged is still very potent. Because you can have a warband full of ranged weapon guys and still do really well, because your combat score is used for both ranged and melee. It's just one of the quirks of the system.

>>54747371
Now I have my books in front of me, here are the different magic-user types:

Necromancer - cannot transfix, but can cast magic missile and raise dead models
Sorcerer - can transfix and magic missile, and can sacrifice a nearby model to boost the power of its magic
Summoner - can cast transfix and magic missile, and you set aside points for its summoning pool to bring in models during the game, but at a discount.
Elementalist - can only cast transfix to douse flames, but can cast magic missile, can alter one die when rolling on the weather table (song of wind and water introduces weather rules), you keep points in a summoning pool to summon elementals - being nearby the elements helps in summoning those elementals (like if near a lake you can summon a water elemental easier, if near a fire, you can summon a fire elemental easier, etc)
Enchanter - cant cast transfix or magic missile, but can enhance friendly model's Q or C scores. Really powerful.
Illusionist - can cast transfix but not magic missile. Can summon illusions which are dummy models that can provide some benefits on their own
Shield-mage - cannot cast transfix or magic missile, but you boost the combat score of nearby models vs range attacks
>>
>>54748432
I don't think it would mess up the game too much as long as you only buff them a little. Especially if you were to limit them to 1 per warband. Maybe give them either medium or long range across the board (but no casting past that like archers can with penalties) and an automatic +1 to spell power. Ill test it out in a bit and let you know how it goes.
>>
>>54681913
???

Darksword Miniatures.
Kingdom Death.
Raging Heroes.

Among several others I don't remember now.
>>
>>54700997
forgeworld krieg death riders, some sexy horses
>>
>>54712631
I hate when they edit the background. Looks weird.
>>
>>54749863
If you want your magic to be really awesome, give your magic-users a quality 2+. It doesnt seem like much, but any Q2+ model is devastating at whatever they do, even magic-users. Then combined with this, drop the points costs of the magic-user traits by 5pts
>>
>>54745798
I dunno what LotR does. I think about game design outside of what GW does.

>>54746020
The size of models is irrelevant to speed of rules.
I don't really care if WHFB was slow as shit - and furthermore, the turn order was not changed off WHFB's so the turn has nothing to do with the speed decrease. That would mostly be making attacks way faster to resolve, and removing special rules.

You also sound like you're judging it just by what exists ("28mm mass battles, aka WHFB") and not what can be. WHFB is a low bar to beat. Being better than it means little.
Nobody said make a hyper-complex turn order, either.
See next paragraph for more.

>>54746571
>>54746020
Nothing is "objectively bad" here so, sure, not "per se", but compared to an extremely simple "I activate my unit and then you activate yours" or even a "I will move all mine then you move all yours, then I will shoot and you will shoot with yours" your tactical options are much more limited with much more delay between actually being able to interact to an enemy's action, permitting more and more things to happen uncontested, limiting tactical space. It's a very small increase in thought to play (as much as remembering your entire army is Elite, for example...) but it immediately adds a ton more to tactics.
Making the best out of a dubious system doesn't make it not dubious. Or put more bluntly, a polished turd is still a turd.
Imagine if Chess did it. Most would agree it'd be absurd. As there, here.
>>
>>54750555
Thanks man I'll try that out. Nice digits as well
>>
>>54751027
FWIW, most the usual complaints I've seen with ATB systems have usually been related to "but I cannot coordinate muh multi-unit attack combos" or arguments that "not all activations are equal", or some other sort of boogey-man scenario such as "I use my super-cheap units to overload the system with Activations so my Baneblade is more effective" or some other BS arguments. Or my favorite one: "It will slow the game down", because many GW players think that they need to keep the same archaic "phase" structure alongside alternating activations.

It's a damn shame too, because WHFB had cool lore, and it gave us Mordheim, but the rules themselves were pretty messy, both due to its turn structure perspective, as well as revolving around giant blocks of glorified wound markers.
>>
Juggler
Did you come to any conclusions or thoughts regarding my initiative ideas before?
That was with either making it so CP can boost your init roll (with the numbers you had before of 1 CP/500 pts, I'd argue it should be +1d6 or something significant - expensive resource), or to have initiative done once at the start and then you flip as normal, but make it so you can't activate the same unit in a new turn as you last activated in the previous turn?

The last doc I saw you post (the google one) I didn't see anything, but unsure if you discarded, or just still unsure.
>>
>>54751027
Alternating Activation needs a way to keep track of which units you've already activated OR a set number of activations akin to Infinity.
Not saying it can't be done, but KoW was intentionally designed as a faster WHFB with less emphasis on list building and more on tactical decisions.
Going with the LotR system might have been interesting, but either way KoW works really well.
And I'm saying all this as somebody that vastly prefers alternating activation.
>>
>>54751027
Lotr has alternating turns. It's by GW.
>>
File: First Contact Core Rules.pdf (37KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
First Contact Core Rules.pdf
37KB, 1x1px
Draft of the Mass Effect Wargame core rules I'm working on.
>>
>>54752354
I like the second idea more, just haven't gotten around to writing it down yet. The alternative idea I'm thinking of is just having the Initiative rotate from turn to turn, for simplicity's sake, with the same "can't activate the same unit" restrictions (with normal restrictions for the "last unit" of course).

As for the actual amount of CP, when I did the earlier testing, I ended up running with more CP than the "1 per 500 points", as that just wasn't enough for how fast the costs climb up. Though I haven't added it yet, what I imagine I'm going to do is:
Individual armies have a Strategy Rating that determines how many CP they get per turn, base. Sometimes, there might be special rules involved for this For example, Dark Eldar might start off with 10 CP on turn 1, 8 CP on turn 2, 6 CP on turn 3, etc. They start highly organized and with the drop on their enemy, but quickly degenerate into looting and reckless slaughter. The numbers are subject to tweaks of course (and I still want the system to be "generic" enough for general-purpose use).

For scalability, I imagine there are several ways to handle it.
-Some armies get rules for "replenishing" CP in their turn, or for discounted CP.
-Characters have a certain amount of "Hero Points" per turn (or "Narrative Points" or whatnot). Sergeants get 1 HP, Chapter Masters get 4 or something along those lines. These can either be used for some basic "heroic" stuff (Rerolls, "cinematic" maneuvers, etc), or spent as CP but only for *that* character's unit in question.
-Some characters also add additional "army-wide" CP which is in addition to the "base" provided by the army in question.

(cont)
>>
>>54753677
And from there, I imagine one could tweak accordingly, to give each army a certain flavor, fluff-wise and gameplay-wise. For example, Space Marines would have a high base Strategy rating, due to being an elite army with strong personal initiative and an efficient command structure. By contrast, Chaos Space Marines would have less CP, but an easier time acquiring Hero Points, due to their armies being more at the whims of strong-willed Champions. An army like Guard would have a really low amount of CP and HP, but would be able to scale up its CP based on the number of Command Squads in play (and would ideally have a system for reducing CP costs for relaying orders "within" a Platoon, or so).
>>
>>54753630
cool. ill check it out
>>
>>54666721
Anyone like wrath of kings?

If so what faction drew you in?

I got into it from Hadross

Also post pics of anything you're working on?
>>
>>54755080
I want to play, but there's no community near me that I know of.

I want to grab the two player box and start demoing if I ever have enough time.

For me it's Harrods and Naiser. Although with Naiser I really don't care for the Pelgarth models(the brutes are alright, I guess) which cuts out a fair number of the units.
>>
Okay, game design question: do you consider tape-measured distances to be an essential part of miniatures games? I'm working on an urban warfare large battle thing (battalionish level), and at that scale it's fairly artificial to pretend like every turn is the same length and every unit moves the same speed at all times.

I really feel like the crucial thing is more the type of area a unit is in rather than the literal distance between them. Am I crazy for wanting the rules to just be "move up to the next intersection," or "move into a block of buildings" instead of measuring everything out?
>>
>>54755654
Nah, that way can work perfectly fine. It's almost emulating classic hex and chit stuff...sorta. Or some kind of "zone-based" gameplay.
How would you do ranged attacks and stuff? Not worry about them because you can't see very far in urban warfare anyways? "LoS means go"?
>>
>>54755775
Yeah, basically. When you're doing squad vs squad shooting, it's safe enough to say that with everyone moving around a little, you'll probably be able to shoot at someone. Range for infantry weapons is just "two streets down, or from one block into any adjacent block." It's assumed that at ranges longer than that, the window for firing is too narrow to bring effective shots on target - too much stuff getting in the way.
>>
>>54753630
I'll give your rules a look in a spare moment, but in the meantime, have a look at this link I found in the game design general.

I've found it to be quite handy on the subject of writing your rules well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuThpe-Rgxs&ab_channel=RymDeCoster
>>
File: Eastern warriors.jpg (86KB, 920x950px) Image search: [Google]
Eastern warriors.jpg
86KB, 920x950px
Bump
>>
>>54760352
You posted gw! REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>54760734
But LotR is well within the scope of /awg/ due to having no general, and not being historical or naval.
>>
>>54755654
To me, some kind of distance measuring is pretty important. Although I actually do prefer squares/hexes like in Dust or Battletech for example, because they are absolutely unambiguous.
>>
>>54751027
I get where you're coming from, and I tend to prefer alternating or simultaneous activation systems in most games I play as well. But I think IgoUgo has some inherent virtues. Few thoughts:

>The turn order was not changed off WHFB's so the turn has nothing to do with the speed decrease.
No mechanic exists in a vacuum. A big part of what makes KOW so fast is that they took the turn order and distilled it down to basics. The critical change is that the Active Player never changes during a turn. All the attack rolls, saves, and morale checks are performed by the active player during his turn. You have absolute control of the clock during your turn. Swapping control has a built-in time cost, which is an inescapable disadvantage of alternating activation systems, along with the extra book-keeping. The fact that there's no waiting for an opponent on your turn also makes it very "clean" to use with clocks in a tourney setting.

In essence, KOW took a good mechanic from WHFB, and knocked all the rust and dirt off so you could actually see it.

>You also sound like you're judging it just by what exists (. . .) WHFB is a low bar to beat
That's fair, I'm judging it by other games of comparable model count, level of detail, and overall structure. I mention WHFB repeatedly because the goals of the two games are similar, and because it's a touchstone with which most players are familiar. I agree it's not a high bar, although I think you're maybe a bit harsh on it.
>>
>>54751027
cont'd
>tactical options are much more limited with much more delay between actually being able to interact to an enemy's action, permitting more and more things to happen uncontested, limiting tactical space
Over-generalization. You can't separate the turn order from the action granularity. Relative to some of the less-balanced WHFB editions, I'd agree with you. But KOW does a pretty good job of balancing the movement distances, expected attack damage, and morale system to make "uncontested" action extremely difficult at the best of times. The overwhelming majority of combats last multiple rounds, and but the most concentrated shooting only slow units down, and it typically takes a combined attack from multiple angles to break a large unit in less than 3 turns. So even though it's IgoUgo, you still get a sense of "ebb and flow" in the battle overall and in local tactical situations.

I've probably played a couple hundred KOW games (most between the same two armies), and I can tell you from experience that there's a lot there. WHFB, in its sadder years, often devolved into "I push my dudes forward, you push your dudes forward, etc". I haven't seen that with KOW as of yet.
>>
>>54755654
You can definitely do it. What you're referring to is generally called a zone-based system. The different "spaces" a unit can occupy are called Zones, each with its own distinct terrain, cover, etc. Movement and LOS from zone to zone are handled explicity at table set up. I've dicked around with these type of systems quite a bit.

The big advantages are removing ambiguity and increasing game speed. Downside is obviously a decrease in flexibility, but there's also a bit of a hidden cost in that you need to put in a little more work up front. What is and is not a zone needs to be made clear, what has LOS to what else, and so on.
>>
>>54762414
Hmm, I'm unsure about classifying the attack/def resolution as part of the "turn order", and more of the "making attacks way faster to resolve", but I think it's fair enough to say it counts as a turn order change to not argue classifying it as such.

>>54762427
So, I playtested 1PageAnon's Age of Fantasy Regiments (his "WHFB") the the other month. A simple game on Roll20.

It has alternating activation rather than IGOUGO - you alternate activating a Unit/block-of-men.
In the playtest I came to a situation where I had a group of ents just a bit away from the enemy's artillery, but also a group of fragile wardancers with enemies approaching from the flank and the front.
It was my turn to activate, and I had to pick which one I wanted to help - I could charge the artillery with my ents so it doesn't blast them in the face, I could use my archers to try to weaken the flanking unit (so its attack was less devastating), or try to escape the situation with my wardancers. I could only do one thing before the enemy got to activate a unit and do his one thing (shoot, charge, whatever)

You see how that turn order change changes the action granularity (good phrasing)? Here, I have to make a hard decision about which to prioritize and calculate what the enemy will likely want to do first.

In IGOUGO I'd get to do all of them, at once. Charge art, redirect dancers, shoot flankers.
Do you think this difference is irrelevant, or actually nothing?
>>
>>54762616
[Cont]
Re-reading, I might've misread what you said a bit, and with you preferring AA and Simultaneous (What game has actual simultaneous? I'd love to see how they do them) makes me feel like I'm sorta preaching to the choir, but whatever.

I might be a bit harsh on it but, I dunno.
Reflecting, I guess I just don't see the rules as much good at all (I mean they're usable and the game functions, so they're not objectively trash) and the fact that WHFB is so massive means it influences a lot of other things, and I don't like what I see as a "bad thing" having such influence. That is, if WHFB was some small indie game I'd likely easily discard it, but it's not. Which makes me dislike it as a whole even more.

Then I see KoW copying stuff from it and then hey there's that WHFB influence, and that bias carries over, even if KoW does do a fair amount to make it "less bad."
--
To expand on my question of
>Do you think this difference is irrelevant, or actually nothing?

I'm wondering if you think that that situation created is an illusion and that in an IGOUGO situation it'd still be there in some form of another. I could maybe re-simulate (or play it in my head, I guess) the game to be IGOUGO and see how it resolves, but that's both
1) A lot of work and
2) I don't overly think the same situation would result - I'd think moves would differ because they're reacting to a larger situation change rather than a finer one. They, in a way, have more info to act on.
>>
>>54762961
Starfleet Battles comes pretty close to being "Simultaneous." At the start of a turn, both players allocate power to their assorted subsystems (weapons, shields, life support, etc), and the game is "Impulse Turn-Based." This means a turn is divided into 32 "impulses" of movement, and depending on your ship's speed for the turn, you *must* move at certain steps on that impulse track (which can be rage-inducing if your opponent uses a tractor beam at just the right time to "redirect" you into an asteroid belt)

You may fire each weapon once per turn, and shooting is resolved simultaneously if both players declare it so.
>>
>>54693937
doesn't vanguard own onslaught now?
I mean i just put in an order for some of the stock they bought when trouble maker failed and they had onslaught there.
good shit by the way, the churchhillians were so fucking poorly sized (>these are leman ruses, sized to be machanerious tanks)
>Age Of Tyrants
as cool as thy are i've found they're a bit over costed and oversized.
>>
>>54764260
>doesn't vanguard own onslaught now?

I don't think so, they're just a distributor.
>>
>>54760856
also it's good shit.
I wish i knew people who played it around me, aside form the nice grognard fella who owns like 10,000 pts of goblins.
>>54764279
that's cool, more companies the better because god damn i'm sad about troublemaker kicking the bucket (then again they always had the best price for infantry >like 200 men 14 quid)
>>
>>54764315
Troublemaker are the ones who got acquired by Vanguard, so at least they're not totally dead like Steel Crown (you can get their stuff via a different site but I think they're just selling off remaining stock).

Also Plasmablast are supposed to be coming back 'soon' but they've been saying that for a long time now.
>>
>>54764376
>Steel Crown
oh shit they're dead.
that sucks they made some of the best titian alternatives.
though honestly i just comp ebay for titian because off brand titans are harder to get away with than off brand kriegers.
(got a reaver for 10 bucks, it's fucking great)
>>
>>54762961
It's not miniatures, but Wooden Ships & Iron Men is a board warhammer with simultaneous motion. Actions for each ship are recorded in advance and then executed simultaneously. I'm sure there are other games that use the same method (it's best suited for naval/airplane games, I think.)
>>
>>54678517
Because the new BB rules are actually good

Choosing MVP among three players instead of the whole team is a godsend and Pile On needed to die and stay dead

Everything else is deliberately stated as optional
>>
File: Frostgrave treasure marker wip01.jpg (163KB, 1800x833px) Image search: [Google]
Frostgrave treasure marker wip01.jpg
163KB, 1800x833px
>>54666960
>Watcha building
Didn't have an internet connection over the weekend. Pleased to see the thread is still here.

Anyway, I used the Reaper Magic Treasure items and put them on some bases with dungeon tiles (a first for me).
Threw in the Wizard/Apprentice (Bishop/Monk) pair that I randomly picked up at the game store too, cause they were already out of the blister.

It's kind of fun actually. I already have ideas for another 5 or so markers. You don't even need that many.
>>
>>54765344
Those look ace, did you use one of those press-mould things for the greenstuff bases?
>>
>>54765192
>Everything else is deliberately stated as optional
yeah expensive mistakes is so optional it hurts on fumbbl,also weeping daggers is not optional and is beyond retarded, also PO was the worst skill of the killstack, no point in nerfing that one, even more retarded was nerfing it so much. If they just made it not stack with MB, PO would have been a weak skill, instead they made it completely useless for no reason.
>>
File: whatCanISay.png (20KB, 275x200px) Image search: [Google]
whatCanISay.png
20KB, 275x200px
>>54765482
I'm not even sure what language this reply was written in.
>>
>>54765432
Thanks you!
No, I wanted to blend the integral metal base into the stone floor. I thought about buying one of those rollers, but all the minis I want to use for Frostgrave have integral bases or tabs.

I just made some rough shapes with my sculpting tool in the GS and then flattened the stones against each other and sharpened the edges a bit.

The milliput bases were a lot faster to do. I just put a layer of smooth milliput on the bases and let it dry before carving a stone pattern into them. The texture will come out a lot better once painted I hope. The neat thing about that is that you can do mosaik patterns and stuff like that real easy though.

For a skirmish group of ~15 minis it's doable I think. I wouldn't do it for a whole army though.

Kind of surprising what you can get done, if you don't have internet.
>>
>>54762616
>You see how that turn order change changes the action granularity (good phrasing)?
Yeah, of course I understand that there's a meaningful difference. More complicated activation systems have their virtues. My whole argument is that it's not automatic, because simple systems like IgoUgo also have advantages.

I'm a big proponent of elegance in design - applying occam's razor to every rule, in essence. A ruleset should be as light as it possibly can be, given its design goals. So I tend to start from the simplest possible systems, and add complexity only when a challenge can't be resolved any other way. Complexity for complexity's sake just makes the game harder to play.

>Do you think this difference is irrelevant, or actually nothing?
Again, I don't think the difference is irrelevant at all. I do think that there are multiple ways to achieve the same effect. In KOW, they create the sense of being able to react and counterplay within an IgoUgo framework, because the units are durable that (almost) all combats last over several turns.

>What game has actual simultaneous? I'd love to see how they do them
It's usually handled with some sort of "secret orders" whereby players commit to an action beforehand, and then reveal at the same time.

>>54762961
>Then I see KoW copying stuff from it and then hey there's that WHFB influence
Well, keep in mind KOW is the baby of Alessio Cavatore, one of the best designers who ever worked on WHFB. I tend to see it as his vision of "what WHFB should have been", if anything.
>>
>>54765498
are you familiar with BB lingo? if so it seems pretty clear to me.
>>
>all this KoW talk
I only just realized that game allows you to use historical armies vs fantasy armies.
>>
>>54760856
>lotr
>not historical
>>
>>54765984
>Lord of the Rings is historical
Wut?
>>
>>54766002
It's a joke on how it's an imagined distant past of our own earth.
>>
File: KIMG0013.jpg (376KB, 1809x719px) Image search: [Google]
KIMG0013.jpg
376KB, 1809x719px
>>54666960
>Watcha building, watcha playing?
Reaper warnuns for Frostgrave, plus pulling my old Skaven Mordheim warband out of the bottom of the shoebox they've been in since 2000.
I really couldn't use model glue well back then but they're coming out okay. Plus I think my little brother stole all my rat-tails for Chaos Spawn, so I need to rig up a new tail-making jig with some wire and plasticard (anyone need a tutorial?).

Once you get the huge retarded hands off of the Reaper Rat Ogre it looks pretty good. Dark-black lines are where I sculpted new fur on it and blended the Mutation Sprue hand and Ogre arm onto it. The base is cork backed with an axle washer, and the table is from an old busted "inn brawl" table I made for a con ten years back. I also really like the Bones Were-Rat Matriarch as an Apprentice. Eight silly rat-dugs and all.

On the other side of the house I'm back on top of the Cannibal Muties for TNT and still working on my Egyptian "Sandgrave" table.
>>
>>54719025
thats dope!
>>
>>54765960
>all this KoW talk
>I only just realized that game allows you to use historical armies vs fantasy armies.
It's also very scale-flexible, due to being a 28mm game with unit basing. We've played around with using KoW rules with 10mm warmaster minis here (scaling all required base widths by 2/5 and measuring distances in cm instead of in), and it works fine.
>>
>>54766038
Remind me, does LOTR happen before or after the Hyborian Age?
>>
>>54764410
>though honestly i just comp ebay for titian because off brand titans are harder to get away with than off brand kriegers.
>(got a reaver for 10 bucks, it's fucking great)
Thing with small-scale big-stuff is it's often easier to just convert / proxy. I've been using converted space marines as epic scale knights for years. I know one guy who made all his chaos titans out of warmahordes jacks. And so on.
>>
I'm currently making a skirmish wargame for mechs and Gundams and all that good stuff. I'm taking a lot of inspiration from SoBaH and Mekton Zeta. Would anyone be interested if I posted about it from time to time once I start writing it?
Also since I don't have any way to license it, do you guys think I should make a setting and lore for it or should I just leave it up to the players? When I play stuff like ASoBaH, I admittedly skip the lore stuff since I usually go in with a plan on what setting I'd like to play in.
>>
>>54767879
Hyborian age - 10,000 b.c.
End of 3rd age - 4,000 b.c.
>>
>>54768636
The best idea would be to have some basic setting and lore so you've got some sample unit stats, but leave the rest to the players.

Whether that's just serial numbers filed off units or more detail is up to you.
>>
>>54768687
>Conan forged the Silmarils.
That's what I thought.
>>
>>54768928
Sauron demands bitches.
>>
>>54768809
Yeah I was thinking of putting in some basic units and pilots in the game and also a mech creator system for autists like myself
>>
>>54768928
Hyborian age is around the same time as the first age.
>>
>>54705213
I'm interested in painting some up, care to give a mini quality run down my good man?
>>
Any summer sales going on /awg/ wise at the moment?
>>
>>54769899
Ghost Archipelago is gonna have a Nickstarter soon I think.
And Diehard Miniatures is gonna have a Kickstarter I think. Not strictly /awg/ since they don't have a game, but the minis are nice for any number of games.
>>
>>54769862
The resin vehicles are damn fine, with little cleaning required. The metal is more on the hard and brittle side so be careful about bending pieces. The Elites are two pieces, and one of the connectors can bend/break a leg if you're not careful. All the figures have pegs on one of their feet, which might be hard to remove if you're not keen on using the bases they come with, which are average quality plastic ones.

Sculpts seem fine. They're based on in-game models, and the proportions show on some things, like the elites' legs being a bit thin. The wraith is fuckhuge.
>>
Have any of you guys heard of the three sprue challenge?
>>
>>54772357
Nope, what is it?
>>
>>54772523
It's a thing Northstar minis does atm.
A Frostgrave Soldier, Barbarian and Cultist sprue kitbashing thing where you are supposed to build a Wizard and Apprentice with the parts.
I supposed you could use Gnoll parts too in order to make a Beastcrafter.
Sounded like a fun idea.
>>
>>54772591
That does sound sort of cool.

If I can ever find the time to do it I want to grab some of Northstar's Dwarfs, plus a box or two of Frostgrave soldiers to get some more sword arms(and crossbows as well I think) and build a Dwarf army for NoW.
>>
>>54773255
>If I can ever find the time to do it I want to grab some of Northstar's Dwarfs, plus a box or two of Frostgrave soldiers to get some more sword arms(and crossbows as well I think) and build a Dwarf army for NoW.

Northstar has their own wargame under development atm, maybe they'll bring out a few supplemental metal models or conversion bits.

Also, we are past the bump limit again, so new thread here
>>54773625
>>54773625
>>54773625
Thread posts: 312
Thread images: 38

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.