[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Board Game General /bgg/ - Someone make me a new fucking /bgg/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 322
Thread images: 69

File: 1472670778013.jpg (669KB, 824x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1472670778013.jpg
669KB, 824x1200px
Last thread:
>>54517926
Pastebin:
>http://pastebin.com/NA2W929q

Image is sure to trigger, but what isn't triggering these days? What is your most unobjectionable game? What makes your game group so comfy and drama free? We can't all just be trying to stab each other at the table non-stop like STEEV, can we?
>>
Ive heard Archipelago is good, anyone on /bgg/ tried it?
>>
>>54611162
Very polarizing, but has some cool things; fully open trading where you can negotiate for ANYTHING is awesome. Definitely one to playtest before buying though, because some people just absolutely hate it
>>
>>54611162
It is one of my favourite games. If you like haggling, profiteering and arguing over exploitation it's good, and if you like discussing loyalties (one player might be the separatist) it's great. It also has a ton of replayability in that the various evolution cards change each game considerably

Consider looking into the War and Peace expansion, it adds a bunch of cards that mess with other players directly, if you're into that sort of thing.

Bear in mind that it is also one of those games that change considerably depending on the people who play it. I've heard that for some people the separatist always wins, while for my group that has never been a problem
>>
File: IMG_0170.jpg (557KB, 1632x1632px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0170.jpg
557KB, 1632x1632px
>>54609965
Sorry I haven't posted in a while, I've only been able to work a couple hours here and there. I think I've finished up all four of the hunters and one of the agents (minus the bases and matte finish). Only three more agents to go!
>>
>>54610890
So what is the point of this thread, this is fucking /tg/
>>
I finished the first/tutorial scenario of Mage Knight. Extremely fun game, hardly touched a lot of the stuff since I wanted to find the city and not lose.

The fact that my game went so differently than the videos I watched to prepare for this has me very excited to keep going forward with this.
>>
>>54613136
>what's the point of a general thread about board games, on a board that discusses traditional table/board games?
We talk about all things board/card game related, our OPs tend to have topic starters because it got boring asking "whatcha playing/ordering/kickstarting" in every thread. If you've never been in /bgg/ stick around a while, we're a comfy place to hang out. Ask our tripfags about 404: Law Not Found, or how to stab your brother in law without being caught at it.

Or you're just poo flinging and that took even fewer posts than usual.
>>
>>54613136
What are you talking about?
>>
>>54613136
Would you rather have 20 topics of /tg/ just be about random board games no one but a select few care about, or 1 thread where we collectively talk about 20 different board games?
>>
>>54610890
Is that a Granblue board game? Those figures are cute~
>>
>>54613136
The only way for boardgames to survive in the torrent of w40k and RP games is huddling together. Hell, even then they sometimes die before they hit bump limit.
>>
>>54613136
The point is to keep the miniature wargamers and roleplayers and mtgfags that make up 95% of this board out.
>>
I got Vast recently, and I'm really digging the completely asymmetrical gameplay. Are there other games where very player is basically playing a different game?
>>
File: honk honk.png (179KB, 474x332px) Image search: [Google]
honk honk.png
179KB, 474x332px
>>54614682
Aw can I be both roleplayer and board gamer?

No wargamers or mtgfags tho, I agree with keeping those cretins out.

Also furries
>>
File: file.jpg (98KB, 600x710px) Image search: [Google]
file.jpg
98KB, 600x710px
>>54614735
If I ever play Rhine: River Trade imma make one schmuck run all the boats, planes and trains while the rest of us play but that's a whole other thing than what you're asking.

The only other thing I can think of is.. oh, this obscure thing you probably haven't heard of. Pic related.
>>
>>54614925
Yeah but if the cave wins in DnD then you have 4 knights that get pissed so that's not really a good answer.
>>
>>54614735
Cry Havoc maybe? That's just different victory conditions more than actually completely different games though.
>>
>>54615203
the cave's game win is not to accidentially win tho.

honestly it sucks to be the cave.
>>
>>54614735
Chaos in the Old World, but Tzeentch and Slaanesh play rather similarly. Replace one with the rats form the expac and you have 4 very different factions.
Cosmic Encounter, if each player gets different enough races. That's a bit of a crapshoot tho.
>>
File: 20170730_201422.jpg (954KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20170730_201422.jpg
954KB, 2048x1152px
A couple of threads ago we were taking about Roll for the Galaxy dice and someone said they were crap. I said they weren't and now I have a real example: One Deck Dungeon

My god these dice are absolute SHIT. They are each full of defects, they're light as feathers and worst they have so much rounding that touching them just sends them skittering. Half the challenge of the damn game is playing memory with your entire roll so when you bump a random die you can reconstruct your roll.
>>
>>54615386
I have to agree about the quality issues on One Deck Dungeon's dice, but I think the weight issue is partially because they're smaller than usual dice. I didn't have too much of a problem with knocking them around by accident although I can see it happening if playing on a small area.
>>
>>54615386
Dice aside, how is One Deck Dungeon
>>
>>54615386
>>54616068
Welcome to Asmadi production quality; it's really sad because they've had some good games. Fealty is one of the better abstracts from ~5 years back, but you'd never know it because it got 0 press; the reason is it looks like a PnP game that someone laminated and then got cannibalized a set of tiddlywinks to upgrade it.

If you can grab Red7 and Flowerfall (which seems to be OOP) do it though, they don't fuck up cards too bad and both games are lots of fun.
>>
File: Old Dice.jpg (295KB, 1100x568px) Image search: [Google]
Old Dice.jpg
295KB, 1100x568px
>>54615386
I have no idea what the other Anon was talking about when it comes to the quality of the Dice in Roll for the Galaxy. The ones with my copy are just fine. Perhaps they were complaining that it used dice as a mechanic at all?

As for the dice in your pic - yeah, those are shitty. Fortunately there are a lot of easily available sets of D6. Your pics are giving me flash backs to the 80's when they used cheap-ass low impact plastic to make polyhedral dice. Pic very related. I can't find my green D20 - it's so round it's probably still rolling somewhere. The purple D20 is bad enough that if you even glance in its general direction it starts rolling again.
>>
>>54616166
>it's so round it's probably still rolling somewhere
Kek
>>
File: D100.jpg (88KB, 392x416px) Image search: [Google]
D100.jpg
88KB, 392x416px
>>54616286
The difference between that old green D20 and a D100? The D100 stops rolling eventually...
>>
File: file.jpg (44KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
file.jpg
44KB, 450x450px
>>54616068
I have small d6 that are great, namely the chessex that come like 36 to a box. It's a cheap plastic in one deck, which is light which doesn't help.

>>54616089
Underwhelming?

I feel about it about like I do about boss monster. I mean I'll sit down to boss monster but I wouldn't buy it.

In 1DD you roll well and slaughter some monsters, you roll shit and nothing can help you. In a mixed roll later when you have more options you spend your time minimizing negatives, but the difficulty is artificial (in dungeon level 1 you have to cover one additional die, in lvl 2 that one plus two more) so it just winds up eating dice. It's not a very intellectual game in any case, you either have enough rolls or you don't. Pushing the numbers around is about it.

There are enough special effects, spells, unique dungeon features (hydra lv2/3 is sticky so each turn costs you 3 time instead of 2) that it SEEMS like it should stay interesting but it doesn't.

The time burn thing is interesting and again it seems like it should keep things fresh- basically you just see part of the deck each level. However I've been through two games, so six times through the deck and already I'm like "oh which one of the two slimes is this". It's stale already. I'm quite surprised because on the face it seems like that shouldn't be the case.

I guess that's my biggest problem the fact it already seems stale. I suppose I could have just been really "lucky" and hit mostly the same cards all six floors but I doubt it. I do also discard time face down because I don't want to know what I'm not seeing- e.g. if the goblins have been dealt past.

I like fiddly dice and I like the theme. The art, cards, descriptions are great. I just am already wishing I had 4 more decks to swap, or 36 mini decks to combine (6 mini decks into one play deck?) or something to keep it fresh.
>>
>>54616166
>d20 with marker
>you're doing it wrong
>>
File: astounded_092.png (25KB, 107x199px) Image search: [Google]
astounded_092.png
25KB, 107x199px
>>54616656
Tell me more about those sexy dice in the image.
>>
>>54616698
no gateway dice for you. let's go straight to the hard stuff

http://www.chessex.com/Dice/poundofdice.htm
>>
>>54616698
>not knowing about Chessex
I dunno whether to berate you or feel sad. Whatever you do don't fall in love with any particular color from their Gemini line, those things go OOP and discontinued regularly

>>54616716
Ugh, mixed dice are so horrid. Pick a color wheel and stick to it
>>
>>54616678
> Assuming it's marker when it's not.
> Accusing others of 'doing it wrong'.

Cool story bro.
>>
>>54616769
it's marked. it doesn't matter what you marked it with, I don't care if it's paint, your moms period blood or your own cheeto dust mixed with snot. the fact that it's marked with anything is what's wrong. lrn2d20 noob
>>
>>54616816
Some dice are made explicitly to be filled with crayon.
>>
>>54616837
Hell people pay good money to have that bitter old man from Game Science hand paint the numbers in their dice.
>>
>>54616723
>I dunno whether to berate you or feel sad
https://xkcd.com/1053/
>>
>>54616837
If he's too stupid to read the post and realize those are dice from the early 1980s (none of them came marked and all had to be colored), then that's his problem. In fact, odds are good that those dice are 1. older than him, 2. smarter than him, and 3. have more seniority than him.
>>
>>54617422
I was playing D&D in the 1980s. those single digit d20s were the ONLY dice we had you colossal faggot. They were not made to be colored, inked, period blooded or anything else. You're the fucking noob here for thinking they were ever intended to be marked on. all that shit came later- later in the 80s admittedly but I'm talking true originalfag dice and the correct way to roll your d20.

now go to bed kid I'm old and it's late.
>>
>>54617471
If you're old enough to have used those dice dumb-ass, then you're old enough to know that they only came with 0 - 9 twice. There were NO teens or 20 on them. The only way to know if a result was a 6 or 16 was to mark one of the 6 faces to indicate a 16. Care to continue to show off your ignorance?
>>
>>54610850
Those games are nothing alike, and Archipelago is amazing.
>>
>>54617629
I own and like them both, but I'd be inclined to say that Archipelago has a lot more replay value in the long run.
>>
>>54615323
The Horned Rat expansion somewhat fixes the Tzeentch/Slaanesh issue. The Morrslieb spell decks give them a more unique playstyle, Tzeentch is sneakier and Slaanesh is more resilient; they can win a game on their own merits instead of holding back and play scavenger or kingmaker, which was my main gripe with the base game, only Khorne and Nurgle felt like real contenders.
>>
>>54614842
>>54614682
i'm a retired 'hex&paper' wargamer, current boardgamer and a wannabe miniatures wargamer.

Can I stay?
>>
Help, I have this mysterious, strong desire to get myself a 55mm D20.

https://wuerfel-stube.de/55mm-translucent-blue-D20-Count-down

>>54616716
Their shop sucks so hard to get a look at the dice. Good thing I found the site I linked. They have Chessex dice better sorted than Chessex themselves.
>>
>>54618991
As the official, elected spokesman of /bgg/, I hereby announce that you shall be allowed to stay. No harm shall befall you during your stay.
>>
>>54618991
I've been here for ages, and I'm a hex & chit war gamer too. I've still got my original copies of OGRE and G.E.V. from the 70's, and I'm looking forward to receiving my OGRE minis from the recent Kickstarter for the larger 'designer edition' scale maps.
>>
>>54619000
>They have Chessex dice better sorted than Chessex themselves.

This has puzzled me as well - considering that their primary business is to sell 'premium' dice, one would think that Chessex would do a better job of advertising their wares. Perhaps they're really only worried about the distributors?
>>
>>54619030
Phew, thanks.

>>54619040
I have like 20+ historical wargames collecting dust, some of them played only once with my brother.
Took me some years to realize that it would be easier to find players if the game can be setup - played - and cleaned in less than 10 hours, hence the transition to board games in overall.
>>
>>54616166
Other Anon wondered whether the RollFTG dice were shit because they LOOKED cheap on photos. The symbols do appear printed-on; if so they will rub off eventually.
>>
>>54619902
Ah! The dice in RftG are small, but they aren't low quality. My copy has seen repeated use and the dice have held up just fine.
>>
>>54619112
It is indeed hard to find players for historical war games at times sadly. I have a few that have long been unplayed as well.
>>
File: howdoyoufeel.png (132KB, 598x299px) Image search: [Google]
howdoyoufeel.png
132KB, 598x299px
>>54610890
>What is your most unobjectionable game? What makes your game group so comfy and drama free? We can't all just be trying to stab each other at the table non-stop like STEEV, can we?

Pic related.

But it's probably just Consulting Detective with Mrs. STEEV by the fire on winter evenings.
>>
>>54617533
lol it's funny how you keep saying I'm the one who is ignorant, do you even know what it means?

I'm going to quote you just so we remember:
>The only way to know [] was to mark one of the faces to indicate
>The only way
>the ONLY way
>ONLY

What you are persistently ignorant of is that marking came later as a kludge and originally we rolled a 2nd die with the d20, odds or evens indicating tens or ones. Of course we marked our dice LATER when we heard about it, it seemed like the greatest thing ever at the time, but that's not what we did originally- originally we rolled 2 dice. That's original fag D&D and that's what I've been talking about.

Let's be clear, ignorance doesn't make you stupid but continuing to whine that the only thing you know of is the only possible way does. You could have just asked, but I'm tired of spinning you out so I hope your smart enough to feel like the retard you are instead of coming back and calling me ignorant instead.

>inb4 hurr durr u used your not you're
>>
Would deckbuilding combined with worker placement be feasible? How about deckbuilding with tile placement and player token movement?
>>
>>54618991
no. GTFO

Incidentally I won Yashima in a raffle and I find absolutely nothing redeemable about it. I'm guessing it's an outlier and sucks ass but I don't know.
>>
>>54622999
Viticulture? I'm sure there are a ton of others. It's not like the mechanics aren't mixed often.
>>
File: file.jpg (75KB, 500x354px) Image search: [Google]
file.jpg
75KB, 500x354px
>>54622999
>>
>>54623069

Viticulture isn't deckbuilding though, it's more like just a hand of options.

As for >>54622999, I think Argent the Consortium might have some closer mechanisms, though I've not played it myself.
>>
>>54623090
Please do not suggest that abomination for anything except kindling firestarting.
>>
File: Helionox Game.jpg (160KB, 1062x708px) Image search: [Google]
Helionox Game.jpg
160KB, 1062x708px
>>54622999
>Would deckbuilding combined with worker placement be feasible?

I sure hope so! I ordered Helionox with the expansion which includes some worker placement elements along with pickup & delivery elements. It has gotten good reviews and looks appealing to me. (They opened the KS with all stretch goals for late backers if you are interested.)
>>
>>54623251
The picture is so small I can't even tell what game it is?
>>
>>54622999
Deckbuilding with player movement works - see Clank. But movement can easily become the primary resource you're pursuing if you're not careful - again, see Clank. Tile placement could work as well, but I'm not sure how you'd avoid either the runaway winner problem that plagues deckbuilders if you let players buy or choose tiles with cards.

Worker placement and deckbuilding sounds interesting, but the systems don't have much in common. You'd have to figure out which one was going to be the dominant mechanic.
>>
>>54622999
>>54623353
Seconding Helionox. I own a first print copy, worker placement + deckbuilding works really well here. Also the characters you play as have tiered assymmetrical powers which get depleted and recharged, I loved that mechanic.
>>
File: ASL condensed rules.jpg (220KB, 528x787px) Image search: [Google]
ASL condensed rules.jpg
220KB, 528x787px
>>54623048
>no. GTFO

That's harsh! It's not like Anon claimed to be a hardcore ASL fan or was recommending 'The Campaign for North Africa' as a "quick" war game... (There are some simple and fun war games with interesting themes and choices. I really love SJG's "OGRE" game for ease of teaching and strategic and tactical choices.)

>>54623701
Cool! I'm excited to hear that folks who own the base game really like it. The hard part will be waiting until it arrives.
>>
>>54623364
504, the Friedman Friese TOTALLY AWESOME ORIGINAL IDEA. Here's a bunch of components, and different scoring methods, and mechanics, now mix 9 together and get a game, you can do it 504 different ways!

Or just buy actual games
>>
>>54624325
Yikes! That sounds more like a 'How to design a game' tool kit for budding game designers rather than an actual game. I'd imagine it would go like this:

1. mix 9 mechanics and scoring methods together
2. paste on a theme
3. KS for 4chins and glory
>>
>>54622967
>Of course we marked our dice LATER when we heard about it

So, what you're very clearly saying here is that you weren't able to figure out to mark your own dice until AFTER someone else showed you. Bravo! And you think you have the chops to call *anyone else* they're doing it wrong? Particularly since your entire argument is "You did it wrong because you did it before I did." Wow. I can see why you're into Fantasy games. Reality is NOT your strong point.

> 4 the record - I was just talking about crappy old-school dice. You're the one who shit his diaper over 'You marked yer dice earlier - u dun wrong'. >>54616678
>>
kemet best game
>>
For someone who doesn't really enjoy worker placement games, but LOVES tile placement, area control, and is interested in engine building, would anons suggest Caverna: Cave vs Cave?
>>
File: 1501523654498504300872.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
1501523654498504300872.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
I found this old version of Monopoly while cleaning out a house. Can anybody tell me when this was made? It has no dates on it
>>
>>54624848
But is it better than Cyclades?
>>
>>54624897
I completely missed it, but it says 1961. Now I'm wondering if it is valuable.
>>
>>54624870

Its good, but prob would get boring after 10 plays
>>
>>54624913
Is it? I skipped Cyclades because I've heard it's really best with 5 and usually I don't have so many players.
>>
>>54624870
I'm on the kickstarter, can't say otherwise. Not much of a kickstartee clans is my only one
>>
>>54623353
Would you really call Helionox worker placement though? Don't you only have one pawn you move around the play area? Wouldn't that be more like an action selection mechanism rather than worker placement?
>>
Has anyone here played Gloomhaven and if so, is it the masterpiece people say it is? What is your personal critique and review of it?

>captcha: select the vehicles
>entire picture is a busy highway
>Okay thanks for selecting every square, now please select vehicles for this picture too
>another busy highway

Wow fuck you too Captcha.
>>
>>54624947
>Now I'm wondering if it is valuable.

Unfortunately - probably not. It was mass produced in large quantities and unless you find some die-hard collector that just has to have 'every edition' of Monopoly EVAR!, then odds are it's not super rare or valuable. Even among collectors, condition is everything and the box in your image shows a lot of 'shelf-ware' with the box being less than pristine by a good bit. You might check out Ebay and see how many other folks are selling copies of the game from that era.
>>
>>54625247
Honestly that would be a tough call. I was under the impression that your action selection was more based on cards used - like illegal tech, etc. And being in the right location to deal with events was based on your ship and local resources (embassies) which were effectively your workers.

I watched a video on it recently, but I can't recall if it was Rahdo's or not (I'm usually not a fan of his chaotic explanations of games).
>>
>>54624388
if you like setting up a game and interpreting rules more than playing
>504
>>
File: pic1790789.jpg (568KB, 638x893px) Image search: [Google]
pic1790789.jpg
568KB, 638x893px
Viticulture is super-comfy, as long as somebody isn't using the "get a VP every turn like a little bitch" tactic.
>>54623069
It's more an engine builder
>>54624870
>Caverna
Aaaaand now I'm reminded of that one guy who said he'd draw rule 34 of pic related

I meant the woman, you idiots.
>>
File: tomboys are for loving.jpg (208KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
tomboys are for loving.jpg
208KB, 600x600px
>>54626414
>wanting dwarf women when Bryn exists
Never change Minifig
>>
>>54626414
>I'm reminded of that one guy who said he'd draw rule 34 of pic related
>I meant the woman, you idiots.

Are you mocking my 'Kettle' fetish? ;)

"I like big 'Pots'. I cannot lie."
>>
>>54624976
I found playing cyclades with 4 was pretty good as well. With 3 is terrible though.
>>
File: zues too late.png (163KB, 480x250px) Image search: [Google]
zues too late.png
163KB, 480x250px
>>54626414
Just the woman?
>>
File: ASL complete rules.jpg (217KB, 528x787px) Image search: [Google]
ASL complete rules.jpg
217KB, 528x787px
>>54625754
>if you like setting up a game and interpreting rules more than playing

No, no... I already have ASL for that.
>>
File: Zoidberg.jpg (42KB, 548x420px) Image search: [Google]
Zoidberg.jpg
42KB, 548x420px
>>54626754
>>
File: pic1671067.jpg (221KB, 316x454px) Image search: [Google]
pic1671067.jpg
221KB, 316x454px
>>54627129
Because smug faced Carcassonne chick also exists
>>
>>54625334
I'd like to second this. It's peeked my interest, but not sure I'm on board yet. Are there some frustrating elements to this game that could singe the enjoyment over a long period of time?
>>
>>54623048
>>54623876
>That's harsh! It's not like Anon claimed to be a hardcore ASL fan or was recommending 'The Campaign for North Africa' as a "quick" war game...

I'd never do THAT.. but look at the aesthetics of these Waterloo units... I still tend to just set up a full game (takes more than 1 hour) just to look at the board and clean it up because nobody i know, even myself have another 30 hours to play it.

Anyway, I just came back from my first gaming event and for the first time i could play with more than just two. Had a blast with colt express or even simple saboteur, however, I was confused in deadwood. Is there a way to catch up somebody that gathered lots of $ at the start of the game? Should just all players jump on the guy and start to shut his cowboys?
I don't know all the buldings, maybe there is some that lets you steal his cash?
>>
Alien Frontiers any good?
>>
I've spent the past few hours painting small details on some of my minis and now my hand is shaking a little, is hard to use (hold things or type with it), and feels exhausted. Is this normal for a beginner painter and does it go away after a while?
>>
>>54630236
yeah, you're using muscles especially secondary ones you don't normally use.

be sure to support your wrist while you work
>>
>>54630236
Atrophied/lazy muscles, assuming you don't smell toast (otherwise you might be having a stroke) generally the bigger thing to worry about with painting minis for too long is hurting your back from being bent over.
>>
>>54630407
>assuming you don't smell toast (otherwise you might be having a stroke
for some reason this line is hilarious.
>>
>>54630394
>support your wrist
As in, a wrist brace?

>>54630407
No smelling of toast (thankfully). I'm not leaning over too much so hopefully I won't have trouble with my back
>>
File: file.jpg (31KB, 526x501px) Image search: [Google]
file.jpg
31KB, 526x501px
>>54630496
no as in painting

you want everything but your wrist and hand totally supported. it helps with detail and fatigue. basically you don't want your arm floating, and since you're not working on flat paper/desk (aka drawing) you might not be naturally supporting your arm, thus making it do more work and be less stable.

it doesn't matter what you use (pool noodle, books, your cat...), I just always think of the painter's rod as the most
>>
File: those feels.jpg (19KB, 573x393px) Image search: [Google]
those feels.jpg
19KB, 573x393px
>tfw your group is meeting right now and you're not there
>>
>>54630236
Technique goes a long way, getting used to comfortable positions to paint in is something that will come with time. For example sometimes I recline a good ways in my chair and rest my wrists on my chest. Keeps the mini close so I can see details as well as it supports my hands.

Among other things:
-Don't grip your brush super tight. I find myself gripping pens, pencils, and paintbrushes really hard when I'm using them. If you relax your grip a little you won't tire out your muscles so badly.
-Consider a taller/shorter table or bench for painting. Dining room tables are made for you to sit up mostly straight, but if you like to bend over to paint you may consider having something of a different height.
-Have some sort of mount for your mini. I use an old paint pot that fits will in my hand with some bluetak or tape on top and afix the miniature to that so I can hold the pot comfortably as opposed to having a crab claw grip on a tiny base.
>>
>>54630236
Sounds like DOMS.
It will go away in a few days.
>>
>>54614842
>no mtgfags
what else am I supposed to do with my low-periods in my cycle of self-loathing and extravagance?
>>
>>54624947
https://www.ebay.com/sch/Vintage-Manufacture/19100/i.html?_nkw=1961%20monopoly&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2045573.m1684

not in that condition. Well-preserved copies seem to sell for 20-50. It seems like this edition is listed several times a day
>>
>>54631923
Buy an LCG or Dicemasters?
>>
>>54632082
I had a feeling that would be the case when the other Anon asked. Still, $20 is $20.
>>
>>54632266
no lcgs have held my interest. In truth the oft-impenetrable complexity and huge community for MTG both keep me coming back.

I'm keeping my eyes open for the L5R reboot though
>>
File: pic3622480_md.png (417KB, 484x500px) Image search: [Google]
pic3622480_md.png
417KB, 484x500px
>>54633453
>I'm keeping my eyes open for the L5R reboot though
FFG is going to have an 8hr 700 player tourney on Gencon Thursday, which should be interesting since that's also supposed to be the debut of it. Then again they are also releasing the pic related shitshow
>>
>>54633642

Catan is basically becoming like Monopoly in terms of brand power, a franchise built on name power alone. Soon you're going to have Settlers of Catan: the animated series and whatnot
>>
>>54633642
won't be there. I'm looking forward to demoing it at PAX Unplugged if I don't get my hands on it beforehand.

I'm sure your pic related is a fine game I'll never play
>>
>>54633735
At least it's not technically a bad game.
>>
>>54633735
It certainly helps that the Asmodee Group owns it now, they can pimp it around to all the different studios and get Dead of Winter Catan, Carcassonne Catan, Splendor Catan, Pandemic Catan.... suddenly I'm reminded of the 37 new versions of Love Letter
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_M4EhelEIQ
>>
>>54633851

Catan memes aside, I mean yeah I agree it's really not a bad game. It's basically the Monopoly for non-normies I guess?

>>54633883

>Dead of Winter Catan, Carcassonne Catan, Splendor Catan, Pandemic Catan

If we reach that point, someone needs to stop it all.
>>
>>54633934
I'd play Carcatan.
>>
>>54610890
Star Wars Risk Original Trilogy causes the players to stop communicating for the next month.
So I guess don't play that
>>
Do you all use dice towers in your games that use dice? I play on a small table and so knocking over pieces with a rolled die or dice falling onto the floor are common enough that I'm considering on buying one. As a follow up, what are some good dice towers that won't break the bank?
>>
>>54635496
Don't use em generally because I've got large tables, though if I want to keep them out of the way I'll use a tray (which honestly you can make out of anything, although lots of people like to go with picture frames lined with felt).

>good dice tower that won't break the bank?
Laser cut wood/acrylic towers are made by lots of game supply companies, etsy stores etc. They can run anywhere from $10-50 and up depending how intricate you want it to look. If you want to go low tech? Buy a copy of Jenga for $1 at a garage sale, glue it together into a tower, with some chipboard steps (or pay another $1 for that copy of monopoly or sorry and cut the board up), stain/paint it if you want with whatever's laying around the house, take it to a local convention and sell them for $10-30.

No seriously I see these in auction houses at every gaming convention I go to, and somehow they've always sold by the end of the weekend, even if it's marked down.
>>
>>54633934
I haven't seen normies actually play Monopoly in decades. I'm pretty sure at this point Monopoly is just a nostalgia home decoration item for the pre-Internet generation.
>>
>>54635661
if you're on a budget you can use dice shakers. Just get a plastic tub with a transparent lid, shake it up and set it on the table to read the dice..
>>
>>54614735
Space cadet and maybe Captain sonar give different role for every one
>>
>>54636108

Everytime I suggest a board game to a normie who isn't well versed in board games there are two things that happen. They always assumes it's Monopoly or there's always one fucker who thinks they're clever and yells out "BORED GAME more like it" and then I sigh and breathe deep and exhale as I fight the urge not to backhand that fucker in the face and pull out something interesting for most normies to play that they can grasp that they almost always enjoy.
>>
>>54624388
Apparently the only reason people try to find a copy of the game is to get a whole pile of generic board game components for cheap to help them design games.
>>
>>54633735
there's already a novel...

Frankly I think Catan is too peaceful for a GoT adaptation.
>>
File: dice-tray.jpg (20KB, 360x282px) Image search: [Google]
dice-tray.jpg
20KB, 360x282px
>>54636108
> I haven't seen normies actually play Monopoly in decades.

I have a younger co-work who gets together with friends once a year for a day long 'Monopoly Tournament'. There are so many better games I wish I could introduce them to.

>>54635496
>Do you all use dice towers in your games that use dice?

I don't use dice towers, but I've got a couple of the felt fabric lined dice trays I used. One friend I game with thought it would be cut to use the "If your dice rolls off the table it's an automatic miss" house rule. Unfortunately it was on a tiny table where dice falling off after hitting something was common and said house rule added exactly zero to the game. So I bought a couple of the felt lined dice trays - no more dice on the floor, and no more annoying house rule.

>>54637676
>dice shakers. Just get a plastic tub with a transparent lid...

And thus 'Nerds eating egg-drop soup from the local Chinese take-out' became a thing. That said, you're right Anon, that would be a handy idea for an inexpensive DIY dice shaker.

>>54639275
This would seem perfectly logical considering that it seems less like a game, and more like "build your own game and stop telling us you don't like our designs".
>>
>>54638658
What game(s) do you use?
>>
>>54635496
I've never used a dice tower because I feel like it takes all the fun out of rolling.

I've seen a lot of people playing roll for the galaxy shaking their up, upending it and letting the dice settle. I can manage to roll on the table tho so I don't have that problem.

Playing one deck dungeon though I certainly feel like I'm just setting the dice down more than actually rolling. There are two main differences between roll and 1dd and that's the 1dd dice are feather light shit and roll uses a cup.

My worst case scenario is I'll roll in a box top if necessary.

I might try a cup with 1dd and see if it improves things. I actually just spent a shitton of pennies on replacement dice for 1dd. I don't even know why except I really hate those cheap shit dice.
>>
>>54640134
> a younger co-work
I think you mean 'cow-ork'.
>>
>>54642270
Should be co-worker, but close enough... ;)
>>
>>54641208
>I actually just spent a shitton of pennies on replacement dice for 1dd. I don't even know why except I really hate those cheap shit dice.

See! If you'd have spent 10 Gorillian dollars on Warhamster 40K, then you'd already have a metric butt-load of D6 laying around.
>>
File: co-worker.jpg (664KB, 1584x1007px) Image search: [Google]
co-worker.jpg
664KB, 1584x1007px
>>54642270
>>
File: 1316269984538.jpg (23KB, 362x372px) Image search: [Google]
1316269984538.jpg
23KB, 362x372px
>>54643707
> There's actually a picture of a 'Cow-ork'

MFW!
>>
>>54642336
yeah but not 12mm translucent teal with white spots tho

>mmmm
>>
>>54643707
I want to do things to that orc.
>>
>>54635661
>jenga dice tower
I'm now interested in this
>>
File: Dice - D6_Apocalypse.jpg (749KB, 850x833px) Image search: [Google]
Dice - D6_Apocalypse.jpg
749KB, 850x833px
>>54644133
I don't want to alarm you, but most 40K / WFB players I know (myself included) own dice in colors that match their army's color scheme. And more than a few have multiple armies.

> 12mm translucent teal with white spots tho

That would just be a typical poof-ta Eldar player. ;) (And for extra nerd points - the dimples on 6 sided dice are known as 'Pips'. Rumor has it that if you talk nicely to your dice, the dice mites that live in the pips will rush to the side opposite the 6 thus improving your rolls.)

>Inb4 "You have to many dice!"

I... I don.. I don't have a dice problem. I can quit any time I want to. I just don't want to...
>>
>>54645510
The ones that sell are generally done in a plainer fashion (stain the blocks darker, use chipboard, line with felt/leather) but there's lots of options I've seen over the years. They really are dirt cheap too if you've got stuff laying around the house and grab a copy cheap at a garage sale or thrift from B&N and then chipboard/fabric from Hobby Lobby when it's on clearance. Then again I always have some of that stuff around for other projects.

>boardgamegeek.com/thread/571871/how-build-dice-tower-using-1-copy-jenga-and-3-copi
>adventuresinboardgaming.blogspot.com/2011/05/building-jenga-dice-tower.html
>>
File: survive escape from atlantis.jpg (56KB, 382x450px) Image search: [Google]
survive escape from atlantis.jpg
56KB, 382x450px
Anyone have some recommendations for games which allow you to directly fuck the other players over like Survive: Escape from Atlantis but with less reliance on luck?
I would especially like it if it's also possible to sacrifice something of your own just to bring someone else down with you although only if it requires tricking them into trusting you first.
>>
>>54648846
Lifeboats, just as mean, and you get to vote who gets fucked
>>
>>54649026
I am interested, but it seems to be out of print and the current prices are rather high. Would you happen to have a more recent suggestion?
>>
>>54649246
Wasn't aware Z-Man let it lapse, BoardGameCo has it for basically retail, but considering the douche who runs that trade acct I can't really recommend......... I guess there's Lifeboat (different game, not as good imo), Cutthroat Caverns maybe, or City of Horror if you're ok with the zombie thing?
>>
>>54649386
Me and my group have avoided all zombie themed games out of coincidence, so it'd be something different for us. I'll look into those two games. Thanks.
>>
File: 20170728_154706.jpg (3MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20170728_154706.jpg
3MB, 4128x2322px
Got so many new games in the local annual used game auction. New shelfie!

Best score: A copy of Escape: The Curse of the Temple that actually turned out to be a reboxed Big Box Edition, for $23.

I've been playing it a lot in the last few days, and I've gotta say it mops the floor with a lot of rest of the realtime genre. Sure, it's probably the most basic of them all, when it comes to the core mechanics, but that's also awesome because you can play it with newbies to board gaming too!

The solitaire mode is surprisingly fantastic.
I've been playing Curses and Treasures with some modified rules I found on BGG. My favourite rule mod so far: to make the Mute curse work in solo, its effect is reversed. You must keep talking continuously without stopping until you cure the curse. It's the first time I've ever used the word "hilarious" to describe a solo gaming session.

Bf enjoys it too, but he gets table-gripping stressed when the gong sounds and he has to rush back to the entrance. You can literally see veins popping, I swear.
>>
>>54648846
Two games you might look at:

Cutthroat Caverns
Dark Moon
>>
>>54629662
Voyages of Marco Polo is much better. International reprint will come out in a few weeks.
>>
>>54649592
> Pic upside-down...

Australian detected. ;)

And nice job on the 'Big Box' score.
>>
>>54649592
>local annual used game auction
The what now?
>>
>>54651071
Our FLGS sets up an auction every year where thousands of people give them some old games and their price requirements, and all weekend they get auctioned off in live, silent, and sealed auctions. The remainders are rummage saled the final day.

It's a huge event that gets the whole community participating, not just the gamers. So many regular families walk out with great modern games every year.

Won Escape and Camel Up in a live one, that was tense. Pandemic The Cure was sealed, and I bid the Amazon price, so obviously nobody else bid above that.

The game I came for, and wouldn't leave without, The King is Dead, was silent, and I ended up grabbing it in the single digits by talking to the other guy interested and saying that I'd be willing to take it all the way to $20. He said he wouldn't be going that high, so I may as well have it. Which was nice of him. Didn't plan for it to go that way, but he approached me

I also grabbed World Championship Russian Roulette in the rummage sale for peanuts, and it's amazing. So glad I ran into it.
>>
File: tg card wars.jpg (560KB, 900x1518px) Image search: [Google]
tg card wars.jpg
560KB, 900x1518px
>>
>>54651300
That kinda thing is why I love smaller local/region cons, silent auctions at near every one I've been to.

Then there's Gencon, where every fucking time I step into the AH it's 2-3 guys who buy EVERY FUCKING LOT FOR SALE. I know they're prolly dealers but still. Worth going to the late night/overnight wargame auctions though, regular guys get into it there and it can get pretty heated when there's unpunched games from the 70s up for grabs.
>>
So is Kingdom Builder any good?
>>
>>54651903
>Then there's Gencon, where every fucking time I step into the AH it's 2-3 guys who buy EVERY FUCKING LOT FOR SALE. I know they're prolly dealers but still.

I went to the GENCON auction years ago. Someone literally smelled like they had week old rotting rodent corpses hidden in their clothing. It was eye-watering, gagging on the stench bad. And this was apparently AFTER the offending person had already left the area.

A friend warned me before we went that there would be people like that. I doubted him... Oh Lord, was I wrong.
>>
>>54652411
I have a few friends who are gamers but go almost as much to people watch as shop/game. One keeps count every day of visible buttcrack (plumber style not sloot) and has a daily guys vs girls contest on it. Another does the same but with horrid stink, it only counts if you can taste it and gag. Last year men won on butt cracks 3/4 days and overall, men and women split stench 2 days each, but ladies won overall. I wish they'd go back to like it was when there were 25,000 people there, the swag bags had deodorant in them. I still wonder if I could carry Axe spray and bomb people with it in the crowd or if covering their funk counts as assault.
>>
File: GF9_STARTREK_Spotlight_Nodes.png (342KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
GF9_STARTREK_Spotlight_Nodes.png
342KB, 500x500px
>>54610890
ST Ascendancy got me thinking: what's the Civ game that people call more Civ than Civ, where you could have your shit on others dudes' spaces and they make you resources but also the other guy?
>>
File: pic1351042.jpg (202KB, 700x514px) Image search: [Google]
pic1351042.jpg
202KB, 700x514px
>>54652639
Nevermind, it's this bad boy.
Thanks for nothing, assholes.
>>
>>54649592
I've been really wanting to get a copy of escape myself. Also, how's 13 minutes?
>>
>>54651614
The fuck is that?
>>
>>54652488
You could play it off as trying to spray yourself but you "accidentally" had the nozzle pointing the wrong way so that it sprayed the offending creature
>>
File: bgg.jpg (720KB, 3586x2149px) Image search: [Google]
bgg.jpg
720KB, 3586x2149px
>>54610890
>Someone make me a new fucking /bgg/ image Edition
>>
>>54651614
>>54653156
adventure time tcg?
>>
>>54651300
A local con I go to has a redistribution 'project', where you give games and they are redistributed to the interested in a pretty random manner. The first time I handed something in I gave Lord of the Rings: Risk, and I felt so bad about it that I didn't participate in the allocation part. It's been shifting hands every year since.

One of the interesting things about it is that people know that who gets to pick the good stuff is totally random, and while people do get hyped about the stuff (this year I really wanted Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage, but ended up getting Ogre: Pocket Edition), there's surprisingly little salt. It's a pretty good crowd I guess
>>
File: IMG_20170801_203740.jpg (1MB, 2016x1512px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170801_203740.jpg
1MB, 2016x1512px
>>54610890
>What makes your game group so comfy and drama free?
I think part of it is the fact that I'm the only /tg/ guy or even moderately knowledgable guy in the group and I buy most of the games. They're not completely unaware of boardgames, but no one has developed any sense of snobbery towards anything that you see around here and we're always just happy to throw anything fun on the table. I would be genuinely afraid to recommend playing a game to the average big boardgame fan, but with my group we don't obsess over things like what the appropriate amount of plastic is or what year a game was released in or what reviewers are or aren't saying, it's spots in the top 100 list or anything.
>>
>>54653144
13 minutes is brilliant. It's certainly closer to Love Letter than Twilight Struggle, but I actually love that. It's done really well, the design is amazing and streamlined, and you have so many little things to worry about, from needing to move one specific cube to massively change territories, to avoiding global thermonuclear war by actually pushing things away from your scoring area. Then the events, which you memorize fast because there are only 13 of them. It's by far the most game I've ever seen in a Love Letter style deck, and I've played all the weird offshoots of Lost Legacy.

Escape is definitely worth getting. Brilliant, brilliant game.
>>
>>54649592
how's libertalia with 2
>>
>>54648846
arboretum
>>
>>54653375
Yeah... Like that won't start verbal fist-fights.

>>54655456
> RE: Random redistribution

If it is truly random, then everyone has an equal chance - no one gets 'outbid' and there's always next year. I can see where one might be disappointed, but not mad. Plus people can wheel-n-deal after the redistribution is over to see if they can trade what they got for something they might like more.

>>54655687
>I would be genuinely afraid to recommend playing a game to the average big board game fan.

Frankly the game snobbery you see here is pretty limited to a small segment of ass-hats who likely have few if any friends they actually game with IRL. I've picked up a lot of good games by gaming with folks I met at gaming conventions like PAX East and trying out new games.
>>
>>54653375
It's no Twilight Snuggle or Jaipur guy on a maglev train, but it's new and clean design; thanks anon.
>>
>>54657159
Oh Yeah! I'm gonna claim it's... Oh, wait. I guess it is a clean design. But it will attract a "bad element" (like sodium). You mark my words! You kids will rue the day! RUE! THE! DAY! <Insert old-guy mumbling here...>

;)
>>
>>54657212
>implying we don't already have plenty of bad element here
C'mon son
>>
File: 1501309587753.jpg (112KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1501309587753.jpg
112KB, 1280x720px
Has anyone played Deception: Murder in Hong Kong?
Is it really better than Resistance like people say? Because I do agree that Resistance could do with a bit of "playing the board" to eliminate those earliest rounds. (at least if you're below 7 people/3 spies in which case you know the first round or two is going to be a throwaway)

I was also kinda curious on people's general opinions on Blood Rage, Kemet, Bang the Dice Game, Star Wars: Rebellion, Good Cop Bad Cop and Ghost Stories.
>>
File: 20170802_085357.jpg (1010KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20170802_085357.jpg
1010KB, 2048x1152px
>>54655152
yes. finn & jake, BMO & rainicorn, fiona & cake plus hero cards

the thing is each character deck has 40 cards and it's not really a trading card game. you can build your own deck but mostly they'll just come out as originally packaged- thus the markings so they can be put back without cross referencing lists.

In any case it's a decent game to throw out when I need two player variants for game night.

Incidentially what are bggs thoughts on rubber banding decks?
>>
>>54657682
I don't really think of it as a competitor to The Resistance, it's more social. I think of it as closer to a competitor to Codenames or Spyfall or Dixit, and absolutely like it better than those.

>Blood Rage
Good, but not for me, the drafting is too important and feels a little unsatisfying.
>Kemet
Fantastic, very likely my favorite general purpose dudes on a map.
>Bang: The Dice Game
Better than regular Bang.
>Rebellion
Pretty swingy based on if and when the empire finds the rebel base, but plays out a pretty good narrative. Just a little long for it's virtues. I'm much preferrring Stronghold for 2p these days.
>Good Cop Bad Cop
I've only played the Leaders of Euphoria version, but I think it lets information disseminate much too quickly. I've got everyone's identities pretty figured out well before halfway through the game most of the time, which is a little anticlimactic.
>Ghost Stories
Havent played, but it has a good reputation. High on the list of co-ops that I might consider playing without continuous eye-rolling and grumbling about hippies.
>>
>>54657682

Gonna agree with Steev. Bought it on a whim for a few friends and I almost feel like I wasted it on them since it's such a great game (and they've been less-than-great lately). I will say that with one player having to stay silent it devolves less into shouting matches like Resistance, so take that as you will. That could just be our group, too.
>>
>>54657682
Hong Kong is a different sort of deduction game than Resistance. The culprit is figured out from the clues in front of them and the psychology of the clue giver, not from the behavior of the criminal. It's definitely better for people who
- want some solid evidence to actually deduce from.
- suck at acting innocent.
>>
File: 2017.jpg (15KB, 420x240px) Image search: [Google]
2017.jpg
15KB, 420x240px
Which of your 2017 purchases have you enjoyed most so far?

Which future 2017 purchase are you most excited for?
>>
>>54656840
I haven't ever tried it with 2, unfortunately.
Whenever I suggest trying it, people logically wonder if it'd be good, and the subject gets dropped.

3 is the best count in my opinion, having played all the others except 2. So maybe 2 would work. But... it seems like even the minor difference of having to only track the cards of one guy might make it too predictable.
>>
>>54657682
The Resistance is kind of a mess. It hasn't aged well. It started a subgenre (mission-based hidden identity) but has to be the weakest game in that whole subgenre.

Deception actually isn't very much like Resistance, there are many other games that come much closer to the same sort of formula. But it is a very good game, one of my go-tos. It's much more casual than most hidden identity games, because it never comes down to whether you kept a good poker face, and it involves almost no lying. Every player will say the exact same thing when someone suggests they might be the murderer because of a card combo:

"Well, that's an okay choice, sure. I get why you might think that. But I know it isn't me, because it isn't, so that can't be the correct combination. Here's what I would actually suggest - Tom over there has Virus and Teddy Bear, which makes way more sense with the clues, in my opinion."

Whether you're good or evil, that's really the only thing it makes any sense to say. If you're lying, you're still legitimately trying to find an alternate solution to the riddle that frames someone else, so that much is truthful and your cover is incredibly easy to keep. If you aren't, you're just actually being helpful. So you can always be chill about it.

It moves fast and manages to be much better designed, way funnier, and surprisingly less stressful. I would recommend it to newbies, and to seasoned gamers. It really is an all-ages sort of thing.

It also actually does work at 4. Arguably, it works *best* at 4, which is unheard of for a hidden role game.

One complaint I hear about it is that you have to awkwardly crane around trying to see everyone's cards, but I only got that complaint twice, both from people who wear glasses as thick as a meeple, so I think that's literally just a poor eyesight thing.

>>54658183
>Incidentially what are bggs thoughts on rubber banding decks?
You're a monster.
>>
>>54658652
>enjoyed most
Roll for the Galaxy

>excited for (own but haven't played)
Castle Dice
Clank!
>>
>>54658937
>Castle Dice

I was surprised at how much I enjoyed that game when I played it. (I don't own it.) Hopefully you'll end up liking it a lot too.
>>
>>54658652
>Top 2017 Purchase
Stronghold still has me completely and entirely hooked.
>Which future 2017 purchase are you most excited for?
MAYBE the Star Trek: Ascendancy expansions, if GF9 ever manages to get them into stores. Not much else coming out that I'm too hype about. The L5R LCG looks pretty interesting, but I'm not much into the theme and probably wouldn't have anyone to play it with. Other than that, mostly just kickstarter garbage I'm waiting for.
>Tortuga 1667
>Clash of Steel
>Giga Robo
. . .
>GKR(???)
>>
File: stronghold.jpg (17KB, 246x247px) Image search: [Google]
stronghold.jpg
17KB, 246x247px
>>54659422
>Stronghold

You mean pic related? Been thinking about getting this for a while now. What's so compelling about it? What do you like best? Any negative things? Does it hold up as a 2 player game if one already has several 2 player games?

>kickstarter garbage
>GKR

How accurate.
>>
>>54614735

Virgin Queen
>>
>>54659461
That's the one.
Excellent theming, deterministic combat that doesn't sacrifice tension, way more tools in both player's pockets than they'll ever use in a single game, enough hidden information and mindgaming opportunities to supply plenty of drama, and enough hair-pulling decisions each turn to negatively affect your resting blood pressure.

I think it'll fit well into most collections. It's only real competition as a meatier two-player on my shelf is Netrunner and Rebellion, but I think it'd still get plenty of play even stacked against the likes of Twilight Struggle.

>GKR
Yeah, if I can't cleanly houserule it into something I'm happy with it's probably going straight to Ebay.
>>
>>54658270
>grumbling about hippies
I swear the only thing that keeps you from being my new best friend is the co-op hatred. I got yelled at the last time the wife and I got together with siblings for a game night because apparently "you kept complaining about goddamn commies"

>>54658913
I'd argue it's aged fine, but the problems with it are meta based. You need 3-5 games to get a good feel among a group, but it can easily be played to death, which means you need fresh blood, who aren't going to mesh well until they get 3-5 games in with that meta.
>>
>>54658913
>You're a monster.

just wait until I "fix" my Castle Dice box...
>>
What's the scoop on the 3rd offering of Terraforming Mars?

I know the 2nd had some shit quality and the burnish has worn off but I've got a guy holding a copy at the FLGS and I need to decide.

Still an 8.4 on bgg but I'm over the HYPE!

So good game after all or not? Buy now or wait?
>>
>>54660569
Leave it. It's pretty mediocre that only got as far as it did because of the hype.
>>
>>54659608
Sounds pretty good. I pushed it a couple slots up on my already extensive wishlist.
>>
File: file.jpg (15KB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
file.jpg
15KB, 320x180px
What is a really good engine builder that allows you to actually play and benefit from the engine?

I keep finding games that about the same time your engine strategy starts paying off someone meets the end condition. I want to build an engine and then run it for a significant portion possibly tweaking, not just have it pay off once in the next to last round. And I want to beat the other players by building a better engine, not because I cut routes off or bogarted parts of a board.

So what should I look at?
>>
In my experience, Lewis and Clark is one where you get to run your engine a lot. Manhattan Project as well.
>>
>>54662253
I'm not sure how you'd accomplish this and have a win/end condition. If you've got a game built around engine building it's going to have to pay out for a win, and the biggest payouts are likely to be in the last 2-3 rounds. Otherwise you just build your engine and watch it non stop

Also expect for it to come in the form of "Engine Building, the Engine Building Game". They've already done Deck Building: the deckbuilding game, and Traitor Mechanic, the traitor mechanic game
>>
>>54662636
I'm not looking for an engine that pays off in one big jackpot explosion. Basically by the time I get enough cash to mitigate not focusing on other things- the game is over. Or if I finally get enough breeding stock to fill my pens and slaughter them all perpetually, the game is over.

In Race for the Galaxy I'd finally found a card to give me more than 4 military (the very! last card of back to back 8 card draws) and the game ended before I could get two more cards played to the table.

I don't want to just watch my engine idle all night but I do want to get some satisfaction out of getting the point where the engine is paying off.
>>
>>54663002
I completely understand what you mean, most of the games are basically building up and then you have a few turns in which you have that position where you feel comfortable with your options, but then you already have to score hard to stand a chance. But I dont know any games that allow you to get a game up and running where at the midpoint you already have an engine going.
>>
>>54663002
See but that's the point, getting an engine built up to that point is usually where the game has to end, otherwise you're mid-game need more powerful cards/whatever and a higher end game trigger. I understand the desire, because I have it in certain games too where my deck is built just right and has a bunch of cascading triggers drawing more cards, paying out better etc, or an engine gives me 1 resource, then turns those into 3 others, which then turns into points/whatever and another of that first resource and cycles through. But if that's not the end game scenario, then your engine doesn't really matter, because it was already half built at the start, or was too easy to build, or the points don't matter until it's 2x as big, and you're back to the same problem of not feeling like you get the most out of it, because it's smaller/weaker than the end-game when it's built just right.
>>
>>54614735
Have you tried Red Dragon Inn? While not completely asymmetrical, each character has vastly different play styles and mechanics.
>>
What are some interesting grid or hex based wargames? I'm trying to come up with a stratety/light rpg board game heavily inspires by Fire Emblem, Shining Force and other SRPGs, and I need some inspiration.
Thinkinh about getting a Summoner Wars set.
>>
>>54619108
As someone who used to work at a FLGS, no, they don't care about their distributors either. They are just terrible to deal with in general, and it can be a real hassle to get the sets we wanted unless you're one of their preferred stores that buy hundreds of sets a year. I mean, have you seen their website? The one with their 2012 catalog front and center?

I have been hoping for a serious competitor to chessex for years so that they will either be forced to improve or die, but that hasn't happened yet.
>>
>>54664041
Summoner Wars is okay, it's simplicity and level of customisation is a good selling point. I prefer Dragon Rage for a quick sci-fi/fantasy wargame, you might want to look into OGRE too.

Duel of Ages II, Cave Evil: Warcults and Titan are where the real meat is for sci-fi/fantasy hex-and-counter wargames though, DoAII especially stretches the definition of a wargame and provides fantastic narratives.
>>
>>54662253
A model railway.

Seriously.
>>
>>54616854
Because they're quality edges for a truer random roll, the dice don't just ramble and roll forever until they come up one of 4 numbers that are slightly larger than the others.
Game Science is a superior quality product and only sharp edges are allowed. Rock Tumbler round edges are for cheaters who use non-random very bad dice.
>>
>>54664364

Awesome, thanks. I'll look into those and post come back with OPINIONS.
>>
>>54610890
Just wanted to say fuck you OP for using that shitty anime pic for the OP. Not only is it that shitty fetish wannabe sexy girl almost porn kind of anime, which alone is reason enough to remove you from the genepool you disgusting degenerate, but even worse, I'm having a really hard time seeing this pic in the catalog and have to resort to using the search function every time.

Fuck you.
>>
File: IMG_0185.jpg (532KB, 1632x1632px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0185.jpg
532KB, 1632x1632px
Specter Ops anon (>>54612842) here. I just finished two more minis, only one more to finish up. Faces are hard as shit to paint, any advice for future paint jobs?
>>
File: silica gel.jpg (236KB, 744x402px) Image search: [Google]
silica gel.jpg
236KB, 744x402px
>>54665376
you do know that you just put /bgg at the end of the url and it comes right up yes?

>>>/tg/bgg
4chan.org/tg/bgg
>>
>>54665127
Good to hear, I also picked up a copy of Dragon Pass recently but haven't had time to play it yet, definitely seems like a good mix of RPG and wargaming. It's very much OOP and expensive however

>>54662253
If it wasn't for not wanting to cut routes off, I'd recommend Age of Steam all of the way
>>
>>54666215
Faces are always balls hard, a magnifying glass can help (I haven't broken down and ordered one off amazon, but after the last batch of RPG minis and having to do eyes the size of pin heads I'm rethinking it) but practice is the biggest thing. Use a piece of paper, and draw eyes/lips with the paint brush you intend to use, start larger than the mini and get used to it then slowly shrink the size until you're painting the same size as the target mini. It won't help with curvature but it's a good way to get loads of practice without buying shit loads of plastic.

>>54666257
I'm still amazed there are people who don't leave /bgg/ open 24/7. Even our shitposting is relaxing most of the time. Also we're gonna need more anime /bgg/ images for OP
>>
>>54666431
I made more but I'm not posting until BGGOPOLY gets used. bwahahaha
>>
File: Untitled.png (856KB, 1908x1082px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
856KB, 1908x1082px
>>54666513
>implying I haven't saved it already
Though I hadn't labelled it (or a few others) yet, but that's fixed now.
>>
Hey ! I'm want to buy a new game for my family. The youngest is 12, then 17, 18 and me 21, from time to time my parents may join us, but most of the time we are 4 players. I introduced them to Love Letter and Citadels. They hated Love Letter, but loved Citadels because of the direct interaction between players.

Right now I'm hesitating between, Catan and 7 Wonders. Problem is that Catan have a lot of interaction between player, but the constant " hey wanna sheep, please take my sheep " is annoying, and 7 Wonders don't have that much interaction.
So, do you have any other recommendation ?
>>
File: group starter games.png (3MB, 1801x2137px) Image search: [Google]
group starter games.png
3MB, 1801x2137px
>>54666768
Catan is fine, but it is a bit dated. Also despite 7 Wonders being great it's a bit bloated, and not generally the first drafting game I toss out to new players. If you really want direct interaction Survive is wonderful, but brutal and likely to result in familial stabbing.
>>
>>54666768
Chicago Express, a much better gateway train game than Ticket to Ride will ever be. Interaction is heavily based around auctions and shared incentive, and figuring out how to maximize income for the companies you're invested in while making sure nobody benefits as much as you

Survive: Escape from Atlantis is the tits as far as being dicks to each other is concerned.
>>
>>54666842
>>54666891

Thanks for the advice. Familial stabbing is exactly what i'm looking for.
We also like strategy, do Survive have a lot of strategy ? On boardgamegeek.com the complexity rating seem a bit low.

I also was thinking about Through the Ages but I've never actually played, it seems a bit complexe tho
>>
>>54667164
How long do you play for?
>>
>>54667164
Time to inflict Twilight Imperium upon your offspring.
>>
>>54667164
No it's not loads of strategy, you are trying to bluff/outthink/guess your opponents on which meeples are the 5-6pt ones that you really want to get to shore vs the 1-2pt ones. If you're looking for a more strategic, Medieval Academy/Dream Home are slightly lighter alternatives to 7 wonders and have more going on than Survive, and Stone Age while it's got optimal moves has a good bit of tactical play. Istanbul would be a very good middleweight option.

DO NOT PLAY THROUGH THE AGES WITH FOUR PEOPLE. NO. BAD IDEA
>>
>>54667164
No, Survive is very tactical.

Ignore anyone who suggests worker placement games, as apart from very specific examples (which are complex games to pick up) they are generally optimisation puzzles which become uninteresting after a few plays, and offer very basic strategy at best. I suggested Chicago Express because the game is extremely player-driven rather than game-driven which allows for significantly greater metagaming, and the rules are incredibly easy to pick up.
>>
>>54667204
We are going on vacation next week, so it's for playing on the evening, for like a couple of hours max.
>>54667231
It looks so fucking hard...

>>54667242
Stone Age seem great ! I read the description of Istanbul but I don't see any interaction between the player, did I miss something ?
Why Through the Ages with 4 people is a bad idea ?

I had played Diplomacy with some friend, we printed a big world map, and each days was a round, it was quite fun and back stabbing-y.
Does the board game can be played in 1 or 2 hours max tho ?
>>
>>54667370
>Chicago Express

Not him but is Chicago Express something I could pull out when someone suggests Ticket to Ride?
>>
>>54667495
Istanbul isn't direct (neither is Stone Age) just a weightier option that I'd still feel comfortable throwing out to completely new players. TtA is a VERY long slog with more than 3, and 3 when even one player is new can lead to a long haul. It's very dense and AP prone.

>>54666891
The problem there is thinking TtR is a train game; it's a rummy/set collection game with a train theme. Now Power Grid, that's a train game (crayon rail) with a different theme dropped on top of it
>>
>>54667495
I'm only joking, give it a few more years.
But it's not nearly as hard as it looks. Promise.
>>
>>54667495
Diplomacy usually ends in the year 1912 or so (in my experience at least).

Each year has three phases that always happens: Spring, Fall, and Build. So for a "12 year" game, you'll go through 36 guaranteed phases. Let's also assume that you have 1 retreat phases per year (of course some years will have two and some will have none, I'm just taking a number). This will raise the number of phases to 48.

If you played a speed game where every phase was 1 minute, then you could finish a game in maybe 1 hour 15 minutes (extra time for moving pieces and resolving orders). Or if you did 2 minute phases you could probably get done in 2 hours.

So yes, it's possible but it'd be a frantic mess the whole time. Diplomacy is meant to be played over a longer period of time (5-6 hours).
>>
>>54667514
Sure, the setup phase has an auction a share from each company where the winning bid puts that money into the company (losing bids keep their money), then during your turn you can do one of three actions - auction another share to put money into the company, develop a hex that isn't a plains to generate income (mountain/city hex) or $2 into a company (forest hex), or build up to three trains spending money from the company for the trains you want to place and generate income based on where they are placed, you can choose to build trains for any company as long as you have a share in the company.

Each action has an allocation of how many times you can perform that action in a round (3 auctions, 4 develops, 5 train builds). Rounds end when two of the actions have been exhausted, and then dividends are paid out from the bank to each player based on the income of the company divided by the allocation of shares, rounded up (eg. a company has an income of 13 and player 1 has two shares while player 2 has one, player 1 will be paid $9 (raw $8.66) and player 2 will be paid $5 (raw $4.33)). End game triggers when either three companies have no more trains, three companies have no more shares, three houses are left for developing or at the end of round 8. The rest of the round is then played out and final dividend is paid out, whoever has the most money wins.

That's pretty much the entire game in a nutshell (there's also rules for reaching Chicago) and the game is very much driven by perception in share value when auctioning and the timing of actions. Butterfly effects are beautiful to observe and there are no catch-up mechanisms. You can always choose an action and do nothing with it, this is referred to as a null action and is especially useful for generating more dividends throughout the game, as it's easy to end the game by the end of the third round.

>>54667576
I agree, but I've seen people who mention that TtR is a train game and that just tickles me 'tism
>>
File: 1487309978053.gif (480KB, 141x141px) Image search: [Google]
1487309978053.gif
480KB, 141x141px
>>54667975
>tickles me 'tism
I now want a tickle me Elmo that responds with cringey autism statements
>>
>>54662636
>They've already done Deck Building: the deckbuilding game, and Traitor Mechanic, the traitor mechanic game
What games are you thinking of here?
>>
>>54668329
Exactly the ones I said, GTG has a funny sense of humor (I didn't even mention Trick Taking or Time Management)
>boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/175846/deck-building-deck-building-game
>boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/197069/traitor-mechanic-traitor-mechanic-game
>>
File: file.jpg (106KB, 500x369px) Image search: [Google]
file.jpg
106KB, 500x369px
>>54668385
No. Just no.
>>
well /bgg/ers I hope you're happy I just turned down a reserved copy of Terraforming Mars.
>>
File: Group Shot.jpg (140KB, 1009x545px) Image search: [Google]
Group Shot.jpg
140KB, 1009x545px
>>54665376
Try some Prozac flavored Ice Cream or something and get over yourself. I've created damn near 30 thread images and I STILL USE the search tool all the time if I don't have the thread open 24/7. This might NOT be the site for you, if using a search tool is to damn difficult for you.

>>54666722
OMG! You're missing a few (of mine). ;)
>>
>>54668401
It's actually not a bad game
>>
>>54650163
>>54649386
Y'all who are recommending Cutthroat Caverns
>>54648846
>but with less reliance on luck

I mean I like the game but it's luck-driven af
>>
>>54668442
I don't save em all, but I used to do OPs with the same 2-3 images all the time so one day I went back and grabbed a bunch of other OP images from the archive. Besides the General/historic figure ones annoy me so I don't save them on purpose
>>
>>54666768
Blokus is another good abstract game that plays up to 4 players.

>>54666842
I blame you for the great Chicago fire too! I'm not buying the whole "Mrs O'Leary's Cow did it" malarkey!

>>54666891
Ticket to Ride is a 'Train Themed' route building / set collection game. It is definitely NOT Rail Barons, etc.

> Survive: Escape from Atlantis is the tits as far as being dicks to each other is concerned.

Cutthroat Caverns is pretty good for that too - you just have to time the killing blow correctly and skate off with all the loot and glory.
>>
>>54663002
sounds like you need to git gud
>>
>>54668420
why you could've flipped that for at least 1.5x MSRP?
>>
>>54668528
I would gladly burn down Chicago for it's many sins (and also to remove the White Sox/Bulls/Bears/Blackhawks from the world) but thankfully I'm not THAT old.
>>
File: Board Games General 080.jpg (202KB, 528x776px) Image search: [Google]
Board Games General 080.jpg
202KB, 528x776px
>>54610890
>>54665376

OP - for the next thread...
>>
>>54668902
>an image tangentially related to Wheaton
Can't do it anon, not until I've crossed "knee that rude fuck in the balls at Gencon" off my bucket list
>>
>>54668902
That's "you never dick."
You need "Ne mentula."
>>
>>54668967
>>an image tangentially related to Wheaton

For most of us, it's still more PAX than Wheaton. But yes...

>>54668970
Thank you! It should read:

"Numquam Ne Mentula Es" correct?
>>
>>54669041
I think that's "are you not a dick" but I don't know, my correction is from Google.
>>
>>54669081
At this rate I'm going to end up with the Latin version of "It's not Gay if you don't push back..."
>>
>>54669110
Quod si non sarmentorum aliquantam multitudinem non participare.
>>
File: Board Games General 081.jpg (204KB, 600x480px) Image search: [Google]
Board Games General 081.jpg
204KB, 600x480px
>>54669173
Damnit Anon! You're killing me. Just killing me!
>>
>>54668970
>>54669081
From Google Translate English --> Latin

"Don't be a dick" ---> "Ne irrumatus"
reversed...
"Ne irrumatus" ---> "do not boned"

errr... Google *might be* a bit off...

Numquam Mentula Es ---> Never are Tool
(Don't be a Tool.) Which seems like it fits well enough.

Oh God! Now I'm going to have to venture into /lit/ to see if I can find someone who's good with Latin...
>>
File: Board Games General 080.jpg (199KB, 528x776px) Image search: [Google]
Board Games General 080.jpg
199KB, 528x776px
>>54668902
The 'corrected' version.

> And WTF is up with Captcha's new obsession with Pants?
>>
>>54667576
>The problem there is thinking TtR is a train game; it's a rummy/set collection game with a train theme.
It's not a set collection game. It's an area control game where you collect sets instead of rolling dice. It's actually closer to Risk, except it plays fast and you have an element of strategy due to the ticket cards.
>>
>>54668528
Would like to add that 4-player Blokus is ass with 3
>>
File: file.jpg (41KB, 500x485px) Image search: [Google]
file.jpg
41KB, 500x485px
>>54669949
>>54668528
blokus is shit if it's not trigon

>>54669949
you did understand the part about insetting the border of the playable area, right? RIGHT?
>>
>>54669945
Area control would be you control the area and it gives you an action that the other players in the same area can't take. You're not setting up multiple players on the same routes in TtR

>>54669981
That's a funny way to spell Gemblo
>>
>>54669981
>Inserting the border of the playable area
What's that?
>>
>>54670398
Insetting, not inserting.
You use a smaller play area with three people, I'd think.
>>
>>54670714
Is that an official change or a homebrew? And how much of the border do you shave off?
>>
Got a friend in USA atm that could bring me some titles home. Is there any other place to look for it than amazon/ebay? Some major boardgame online stores to check?

I'm specificly looking for marines pack 1 for DA.
>>
File: oie_lLE0dF8O536f.png (875KB, 675x900px) Image search: [Google]
oie_lLE0dF8O536f.png
875KB, 675x900px
>>
>>54670005
>Area control would be you control the area and it gives you an action that the other players in the same area can't take.
No, that's worker placement.

Collecting sets in Ticket to Ride doesn't give you any points. You get points for controlling area, both directly ('claim this space and get N points') and indirectly ('be the first to control this chokepoint and score X bonus').

Moreover, the strategy in Ticket to Ride is area control strategy: claiming chokepoints, capturing important places with advance blitzkriegs, flanking maneuvers, placing fortifications, etc.

When you draw train cards you're effectively passing and skipping your move.

I just wish somebody would make a similar area control game except one where you don't spend two thirds of the game passing. This makes TtR move very slowly and confuses people who think the point is to collect colored cards. (It isn't.)
>>
>>54672709
There's CoolStuffInc and Miniature Market although they both do have international shipping options. They often have lower prices than Amazon, but the shipping can be slow or expensive depending on what you're willing to pay for. As an alternative to eBay, there is the Geek Market on BoardGameGeek. There could also be local stores depending on where your friend is.

I don't know if it'll be possible to find Marines Pack 1 for retail price online. It seems to be out of stock or backordred everywhere.
>>
>>54673040
It's more like a work buddy than a real friend so I'd prefer to avoid asking him for roaming around the city.
Delivery straight to his door is the only option.
>>
>>54666215
Thin your paints. There's a WIP thread on /tg/ go there for advice.
>>
>>54672924
Worker placement is placing a worker = take an action. Area control if you have more guys there so you get the action. Compare something like Stone Age to World's Fair 1893, putting cubes out in World's Fair isn't a worker placement, you're aiming to control the areas during the scoring phase.

Now look at TtR, you're not getting the trains back, so it's clearly not worker placement. You're not comparing your trains in the same area (the route spaces) to someone else to decide who controls it and gets the action/points. You're getting points when you get a set of cards and play them. It's literally Gin Rummy, where they simplify runs to "4 of the same color"

Also if TtR is moving "slowly" then you're playing with AP people
>>
>>54672819
I like the GTA cover inspired design on this but then the game choices; Tak/Secret Hitler are still too firmly in the hype cycle; and aFfO/Concorcia never being in stock have convinced me they aren't board game, but some kind of psych experiment to study how autism affects the value of money
>>
>>54673851
>Area control if you have more guys there so you get the action.
No, there's no 'action' in area control besides controlling the area.

> You're not comparing your trains in the same area (the route spaces) to someone else to decide who controls it and gets the action/points.
Actually, yes, that's exactly what you're doing int TtR. You get points for majority control in subareas, and for blocking your opponent's trains in these subareas.

> It's literally Gin Rummy
It's nothing at all like Gin Rummy. Rummy is a poker/mahjong variant where you score for collecting rare combos. TtR gives points for controlling subgraph chokepoints.

> Also if TtR is moving "slowly" then you're playing with AP people
Again: drawing a train card in TtR is a 'pass' move. When 2/3 of the game is you passing instead of making some sort of game-relevant move then the game feels like it's moving slowly, even if the wall clock time isn't that bad.
>>
>>54674171
Area control has multiple people being able to lay into an area, vying for total control of it, this is missing from TtR. And yes it is a lot like Gin Rummy, they're both hand management games where you're trying to build sets, and then lay them down for points; rarity has nothing to do with it. You don't score because you laid 3 trains on a route compared to your opponent laying 2, you score because you laid 3 green cards down.

We're also dealing with a very open ended term, because games like Carcassonne could be called area control (instead of tile laying) but are nothing like say Royals (which you could also call set collection) or Alien Frontiers (which is dice placement). You could argue Trains is an area control game, do you score points based on who has stuff on a board? Sure, but it's a deckbuilding game, because that's the driving mechanic.
>>
>>54673910
I'm not saying Secret Hitler is going to be here forever, but it's well beyond initial hype and it's still here.

Tak isn't newsworthy at all but it doesn't matter. It's his image, let him put the games he likes
>>
>>54672819
Camels... In my 'Board Games General'... It's more likely than you think! (Nice to see some other folks creating new /bgg/ thread starters too.)
>>
>>54674427
>Area control has multiple people being able to lay into an area, vying for total control of it
Yes, exactly like in Ticket to Ride.

> this is missing from TtR
It isn't, you're just confused about what constitutes 'area' in the game.

> they're both hand management games where you're trying to build sets, and then lay them down for points
No. There's no hand to manage in TtR because all cards have the same point worth regardless of color or count.

> you score because you laid 3 green cards down
No, you score for completing ticket objectives. Color doesn't matter, you don't score more because it's green or red. Ticket objectives are designed to pass though chokepoints, loops and bypasses. Having majority control in the most valuable (from the point of ticket objectives) areas gives you points. (Moreover, if you have complete control of a certain area then you'll force your opponents to lose points in addition to you gaining points.)

> We're also dealing with a very open ended term
Not really. From BGG: "The Area Control mechanic typically awards control of an area to the player that has the majority of units or influence in that area."

Exactly like TtR, where you're awarded points for having train tokens on a majority of links between certain areas.
>>
File: Untitled.png (189KB, 1070x862px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
189KB, 1070x862px
>>54674932
>no hand to manage
Except you have to decide how long do you want to draw and build a hand before blowing it all, it's like going for Gin instead of laying smaller runs
>score for ticket objectives
Sure bonus scoring at the end, you're also scoring the second you lay down those cards, and the more cards you lay down the bigger the point value
>BGG detinition
You might want to not use this considering BGG doesn't consider TtR area control

I will say it again, you can argue that there is an aspect of part of the area control mega-genre, but it's not the driving mechanic of the game, drawing cards, getting your hand big to where you can play them and score is the core. You could call Chess area control, but it's still first and foremost an abstract.
>>
File: Zone_of_Control.jpg (103KB, 400x432px) Image search: [Google]
Zone_of_Control.jpg
103KB, 400x432px
>>54674427
>Area control has multiple people being able to lay into an area, vying for total control of it.

You two may be talking about two completely different things, Anon. For a classic war gamer, area control is having a unit (one unit or a stack of allied units) in a single hex. Not only do they control that hex or 'area', but they often have a 'zone of control' in the hexes surrounding them. This 'zone of control' typically forces enemy units that enter the zone to have to stop moving and engage any unit(s) exerting that zone of control. The only time units from two opposing sides occupy the same area is during a 'charge' and then only temporarily until the combat is resolved and one side or the other is forced out of the area.

I get the impress that >>54674427 is talking about what Board Game Geek would call:

Majority Control game:

n. A type of game where players score for having the most items of a particular type (such as stock in various companies). (North Americans might consider this a misnomer due to their distinction of plurality/majority where other countries might use majority/absolute majority.) Examples: Union Pacific, Acquire, Freight Train. See area control game.

> We're also dealing with a very open ended term,...

Indeed, and this is a problem. One of my 'issues' with B.G.G. (and at times board gaming in general) is the lack of well defined terminology so people can actually have a meaningful discussion and both parties know exactly what the other means. It also makes it difficult to teach new people entering the hobby when the language is vague and unfixed.

Card based games have proven to be notoriously vague - at least when it comes to using the terminology from B.G.G. (Fortunately there have been some bro-tier Anons here who have done a fine job of smacking me with a clue-by-four and helping me get a better grasp on the terminology.)
>>
>Can't find Onirim on the steam workshop for TTS anymore

So... Does anyone want me to host the game so they can save it?
>>
>>54675033
>Except you have to decide how long do you want to draw and build a hand before blowing it all
No, because no matter if you wait or don't, you'll score the same amount of points.

> you're also scoring the second you lay down those cards, and the more cards you lay down the bigger the point value
Yes, but whether you draw train cards at random or try to 'manage' your hand is irrelevant -- you'll score the same amount of points.

> BGG doesn't consider TtR area control
Well, BGG is wrong. It's not enough to casually read the rules, you'd have to figure out basic strategy and realize that some decisions in this game aren't really decisions.

> but it's not the driving mechanic of the game
It's exactly the driving mechanic, because the only decisions you're making in the game are area control decisions. The rest is blind luck.

> getting your hand big to where you can play them and score is the core
No, the core is completing ticket objectives in time to draw more ticket objectives to piggyback on the already completed ones.

> You could call Chess area control, but it's still first and foremost an abstract.
Yes, chess is an area control game. 'Abstract' is not a mechanic, it's a theme. The mechanic of chess is controlling area.
>>
>>54675189
>Majority Control game
Also heard the terms, area claiming game and area influence game.

>>54675324
>Well, BGG is wrong
If they're wrong, then you shouldn't use the definition from them. Also it does matter if you wait or not in Ticket to Ride, because longer routes score more points than shorter (this also means you want to manage your hand to decide which is worth more to you, that short route for a couple points, or waiting and claiming the long one for 15). At this point we're not going to agree because you seem to think 1 card = 1 point regardless of how it's used (wilds aren't going to be worth the same as single colors) due to the fact we're dealing with an imprecise term in "area control"
>>
>>54675388
*and due to the fact
>>
>>54675228
The game is free on Android brah
>>
>>54675388
>Also it does matter if you wait or not in Ticket to Ride, because longer routes score more points than shorter (this also means you want to manage your hand to decide which is worth more to you, that short route for a couple points, or waiting and claiming the long one for 15).
You're wrong, and I can prove it. A completely random hand of 50 cards will score (on average) about 112 points. A 'managed' hand where one color is 5 times more likely than the others will score (on average) about 100 points.

In fact, in TtR 'managing' your hand is actually *less* optimal than drawing them completely at random.

(I can post the Python simulation script if you want to verify.)
>>
>>54675760
So your argument is a python simulation shows randomly picking cards for routes is optimal, but at the same time you argue that you want to control specific routes for ticket scoring because it's area control, and this applies when played perfectly by a computer? I don't need the simulation but I am intrigued to know how it simulates the differences in players psyche and how each person approaches the game.
>>
Gonna play some Descent for the first time this weekend, what am I in for?
>>
>>54675760
I'd like to see the code if you don't mind, I'm curious how you did it
>>
File: bgg.jpg (213KB, 675x900px) Image search: [Google]
bgg.jpg
213KB, 675x900px
>>54672819
Here's my take on it to make it fit the GTA themes and style more.
If anyone has any idea what popular game has a goddamn motorcycle on the cover, please speak up, panel 3 could use a replacement.
>>
File: TtR Map.jpg (285KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
TtR Map.jpg
285KB, 1024x683px
>>54675324
>Well, BGG is wrong.

Not the Anon you were originally talking to but - I'm calling B.S. on your comment.

Words like 'area' and 'route' have well defined meanings. You do NOT get to make up new meanings for those terms and then tell everyone else they're incorrect because they know the actual unambiguous and well defined meanings.

Route - Noun: a way or course taken in getting from a starting point to a destination.
Ex: the line of a road, path, railroad, etc.

A railroad is LITERALLY used as part of the example of what constitutes a 'Route'.

> It's not enough to casually read the rules, you'd have to figure out basic strategy and realize that some decisions in this game aren't really decisions.

This is completely irrelevant. The board has 'areas' like Chicago or Omaha. And EVERY SINGLE AREA without exception has 2 or more routes connecting it. So it is extremely rare that anyone controls 'an area' by having control of all routes to that area. And even if they did, it's relevant only in so much as having those *ROUTES* score said player points. The area itself (like Chicago) is meaningless. And on every single TtR map, there are MULTIPLE examples of parallel routes between the same two areas. One would even be hard pressed to argue that 'route exclusivity' (rather than area control) is a main goal since so many parallel routes exist on the map.
>>
File: TtR - Route Building.jpg (1MB, 1128x912px) Image search: [Google]
TtR - Route Building.jpg
1MB, 1128x912px
>>54676325
Here's the image I wanted to include.
>>
File: Mad_cat.jpg (242KB, 2048x1896px) Image search: [Google]
Mad_cat.jpg
242KB, 2048x1896px
Stop arguing about Ticket to Ride
>>
File: bgg wars.png (1MB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
bgg wars.png
1MB, 800x800px
>>54676298
I would say SoA but it's just the reaper logo if memory serves..... Car Wars has bikes in it, but I'm positive the cover art is shit. Anon you might've hit on a theme we need more of, all the racing games I can think of are horses or autos, and why do we have no bike building games? Kanban and Automania just came out and neither of those could've been themed different?

>>54676360
The linguistic side of it is rather interesting anon, but you're right, we shouldn't be arguing about area control. That genre was already perfected by SUMMONER WARS
>>
>>54676360
Actually we're defining / arguing about terminology. Ticket to Ride simply happens to be caught in the cross fire.
>>
>>54676024
You're missing the point. In Ticket to Ride there's three sources of points:
a) Points for placing tokens on point-to-point segments after paying for them with card sets.
b) Points for completing route objectives.
c) Bonus points for having majority control at the end of the game.

The guy I'm replying to claims that a) is the core of the game and that it makes sense to wait to collect sets of a specific size. I wrote a quick simulation to check and it turns out he's wrong, there's no difference between trying to 'manage' your sets and drawing them randomly.

(Random picks aren't exactly optimal, there's a slight difference between different hand sizes. For larger hand sizes random picks are slightly better, for medium hand sizes 'managed' picks are slightly better, for small hand sizes they are equal. Still the difference isn't huge, even in the worst case it's something like a 15% difference. Also there's also the fact that my dumb simulation overrates managing your hand, since not all lengths are always available; you won't be able to score a length 6 segment five times even if you have the cards.)

>>54676236
https://pastebin.com/yDrw9L8w
>>
>>54676446
That seems like a disagreement between whether a game's core is defined by the mechanic you use for the course of the game vs the method of scoring.
>>
>>54676325
> The board has 'areas' like Chicago or Omaha.
No, the areas are the segments between cities. It's just a graphical choice that doesn't change the underlying graph structure.

>So it is extremely rare that anyone controls 'an area' by having control of all routes to that area.
Uh, I think you just need to git good (or just git better than a dumb rock) at this game. I don't remember a game I played where at least one city wasn't completely blocked. Blocking cities completely is like the whole point of the game.

> And on every single TtR map, there are MULTIPLE examples of parallel routes between the same two areas.
Yes, but they vary by cost. Controlling two cities by a suboptimal route (because the optimal route is already taken) loses you points.
>>
>>54676096
anal seckts most likely
>>
>>54676472
Well, nobody would really claim that War of the Ring is 'dice throwing game', even though you're mostly chucking dice for the whole time, would they?

(Then again who knows, maybe there really are people like that, yuck.)
>>
>>54676621
I would call the mechanic there action selection. I was actually thinking of Carcassonne, which is commonly called a tile-laying game, but you could argue it's area control due to how cities/farms score.
>>
File: what the hell.gif (2MB, 280x202px) Image search: [Google]
what the hell.gif
2MB, 280x202px
>>54676298
>/tg/
>uses vidya title
>>
>>54676335
>>54676325
>>54676446
>>54676586
god damn you're making me hate TtR more than ever and I didn't think that was possible

>>54675760
I believe this if only because the hurrr durr random player always shits all over my game
>>
>>54676673
>random player always shits all over my game
If this annoys you, never ever play the Team Asia map with anyone you care about, I've seen it cause STEEV levels of broken bottle fights when someone didn't understand intentions since you're not allowed to talk about what you're planning
>>
>>54676586
Again - treating 'Routes' as 'areas' is your personal remapping of an otherwise well defined term, and NOT the correct usage of the term 'area'. I get the concept, and it's still NOT the correct usage of the term. Which is why TtR is an example of a "route building" game and not area control. One is indeed trying to control the ownership of optimal routes, but areas score you zero points.

> Blocking cities completely is like the whole point of the game.

And smart players don't let 1 other player build all the routes to one key area. In games where all the players understand the basic concepts, it is common for some players to be locked out, but NOT for one player to control all routes to a key area. If that's routinely happening in your games, then odds are good you're not gaming with very good players.

> Controlling two cities by a suboptimal route (because the optimal route is already taken) loses you points.

Cites (i.e. areas) are worth ZERO points. Routes on the other hand are worth actual points.
>>
File: stop.gif (2MB, 350x176px) Image search: [Google]
stop.gif
2MB, 350x176px
>>54676764
>>54676586
>>
>>54676704
I try to make sure we never have to resort to broken bottles by keeping more dignified weapons near the game table.

>>54676802
>Del Toro and Perlman will never into Hellboy 3
Right in the feels.
>>
>>54676640
>I was actually thinking of Carcassonne, which is commonly called a tile-laying game, but you could argue it's area control due to how cities/farms score.

But that would be 'Majority Control' >>54675189
since multiple players can have farmers in the same field, knights in the same city, or robbers on the same road, and if one player has a majority of meeples in that 'area' then they get all the points and the other player(s) get nothing.
>>
>>54676764
>Again - treating 'Routes' as 'areas' is your personal remapping of an otherwise well defined term, and NOT the correct usage of the term 'area'. I get the concept, and it's still NOT the correct usage of the term. Which is why TtR is an example of a "route building" game and not area control. One is indeed trying to control the ownership of optimal routes, but areas score you zero points.
Are you really this dense? You can redraw a TtR map, make the segments into boxes and the cities into edges, and nothing at all would change. It's just a design aesthetic choice to make the areas sausage-looking instead of blob-looking.

Also, there's no such thing as a 'route building game'. (Well, maybe some of the more complex connect-N games like Through the Desert could qualify, but TtR certainly ain't that.)

> And smart players don't let 1 other player build all the routes to one key area.
Not really true, there's no sense in wasting trains in cockblocking an opponent if he's not a threat.
>>
Is Gloomhaven worth it?
>>
>>54676860
Right, except "majority control" is often (and more commonly online it seems) referred to as area control. If only one person could take the area it would be area claiming, or maybe dudes on a map (if it's something where you have immediate combat when multiple players are in an area). It's just muddy terminology; but a much more interesting argument than our usual KS "shilling" rages in /bgg/
>>
>>54676827
>>I try to make sure we never have to resort to broken bottles by keeping more dignified weapons near the game table.

<Looks around gaming area...>
Several bokken, a couple of Gekken, a Naginata, a Yari, a couple of Katana, several Wakizashi, and a tanto or two.

Alright! Looks like I'm good to go for hosting "Game Night with STEEV and Co." We'll settle our rules disputes like Samurai.

Note to self: getting cleaning supplies and more body-bags.
>>
>>54617422
The one thing they aren't is rounder than him.
>>
>>54676827
>>54676940
>Not handling your disputes via steel cage match.
Look at these plebs, look at them and laugh.
>>
>>54676876
1. I get the fact that you're substituting 'area' for the term 'route'. But it does NOT change the definition of those words. Language becomes useless for communication when words lose their meanings.

2. I could almost buy the 'area control by another name' argument - except that the majority of routes (which are already a series of rectangles) are composed of multiple 'areas' or 'segments'. For the vast majority of the typical TtR map 'controlling an area' does not complete a 'Route'. And an incomplete 'route' is worth zero points. You either have to control all areas (plural) that make up 1 'route', or you can't even lay down any train counters.

>Inb4 'It's area control with areas having variable control costs'.

The argument gets more and more tenuous and more and more inelegant. I get that remapping the definitions of 'route building' and 'area control' works for you, but it doesn't make everyone else who is using the standard definitions incorrect.
>>
>>54677104
Everyone knows Televised wrestling is fake. Except for [insert name of favorite wrestler here].

Years ago there was a video of a reporter who got into the ring with a semi-pro wrestler. Said reporter claimed it was totally fake and required zero skill. In the video the wrestler (who has got to be a good 280-300+ lbs of muscle) just wrecks the reporter doing all the basic 'fake' stuff one typically sees at 'matches'. IIRC the reporter ended up with a skull fracture, broken collar-bone and multiple fractured ribs. (Apparently there MIGHT be some skill involved, even if it is acting...) :)
>>
>>54676920
>If only one person could take the area it would be area claiming, or maybe dudes on a map (if it's something where you have immediate combat when multiple players are in an area).

That's just it - that *IS* the classic war games definition of 'area control'. My dudes / chits / counters / meeples / etc, claim an area and thus have solo 'control' over it and any resources or advantages it may bring or victory points it may generate.
>>
>>54677465
So now we're conflating "classic war games" definitions with general board game terms. This is not gonna get clearer.
Also Memoir '44 is clearly the greatest war game ever
>>
>>54677522
It's not even the best Commands and Colors game
>>
>>54677542
It doesn't require me to sticker a shitload of blocks, it's the best
>>
File: yasuna_938.png (358KB, 863x720px) Image search: [Google]
yasuna_938.png
358KB, 863x720px
>>54677327
>Everyone knows Televised wrestling is fake. Except for [insert name of favorite wrestler here].
That feeling when you win the world championship but didn't get the memo that your sport is just a fake sport.
>>
>>54677554
I enjoy stickering blocks, CCA is the best for me
>>
>>54677601
There's a C&C Rev War coming and I'm actually re-thinking my sticker hatred, especially if they expand it to include French/Indian War scenarios later on
>>
>playing Pandemic app
>Quarantine Specialist, Researcher, Scientist and Medic
>Still can't get more than three diseases cured
What am I doing wrong?
>>54633642
>they didn't renew the license for Star Trek Catan, aka Best Catan
>they release this shit instead
>>
>>54677218
> I get the fact that you're substituting 'area' for the term 'route'.
'Area' and 'route' are graphic design terms. I don't care about that. In game design terms an area control game is just an undirected graph with nodes and edges, and nodes and edges are interchangeable.

(See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line_graph; "Hassler Whitney (1932) proved that with one exceptional case the structure of a connected graph G can be recovered completely from its line graph.")

> but it doesn't make everyone else who is using the standard definitions incorrect.
The "standard definition" goes something like this: a game is an area control game if it has a geographic map and is themed around war/conquest. (Thus, people claiming that Blood Rage is an area control game somehow.)

Sorry, but this 'standard definition' is, indeed, incorrect.
>>
>>54677907
Asmodee doesn't have a Star Trek license......... yet
>>
>>54677945

Now youve done it
>>
File: lloyd.jpg (11KB, 231x304px) Image search: [Google]
lloyd.jpg
11KB, 231x304px
>>54677601
>I enjoy stickering blocks

I've still got to do that on my updated copy of Robinson Crusoe. It takes a steady hand and I picked the wrong week to quite sniffing glue..
>>
>>54676915
Yes
>>
>>54649592
Hmmm - CSI has Escape: The Curse of the Temple (base game) on sale for $30 (Regularly $59). But the 'Big Box' version is $61

Big Box Contains:
Escape Base Game
Escape Expansion 1 - Illusions
Escape Expansion 2 - Quest
Escape Mini Expansion 1 - The Pit
Escape Mini Expansion 2 - Doomed
Escape Mini Expansion 4 - The Fountain

I can see why it might be hard to sell the base game at it's original price point.
>>
File: IMG_0200.jpg (84KB, 471x470px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0200.jpg
84KB, 471x470px
>>54676298
It's not a motorcycle but…
>>
>>54679477
If I become a prostitute, I'll name myself Flamme Rouge.
>>
>>54676673
I also can't stand TtR. I'll admit is a solid game and great for beginners but I'd rather stick my dick in a blender than play TtR
>>
>>54676915
Are you willing to spend the 100+ hours (or whatever it is) to finish the game?
>>
File: Starship Troopers Board.jpg (80KB, 500x373px) Image search: [Google]
Starship Troopers Board.jpg
80KB, 500x373px
>>54679628
I own a copy, but mainly for the purpose of introducing people used to old 'Milton Bradly' or 'Parker-Bros' games to something from the modern era of board gaming.

Now, the next 'new' game is pic related, because I'm not here to molly-coddle the weak of mind or body! Frag the weak! Hurdle the dead! And drive on to victory!
>>
>>54678619
C'mon, you know they'll pay through the nose, or buy out the company that does have said license eventually.......... or it'll happen when they sell out to Hasbro

Also new thread
>>54680058
>>54680058
>>
>>54666215
>>54673442
Hope it's not trolling and that is your actual level of skill.
Go to /wip/, be prepared for memes and smartasses. People there can give a rookie a real hard time. Just don't take it personal, follow advice, practice a lot and you'll get better. Thin your paints, get good paint and brushes.
Thread posts: 322
Thread images: 69

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.