[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ Fifth Edition General:

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 335
Thread images: 52

File: 1473719183939.jpg (603KB, 1332x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1473719183939.jpg
603KB, 1332x1000px
>Unearthed Arcana: Greyhawk Initiative:
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UAGreyhawkInitiative.pdf

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Alternate Trove:
https://dnd.rem.uz/5e%20D%26D%20Books/

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread:
>>54562170
>>
>doesn't post there's new bread
>doesnt have a question

Dammit anon.

Oh well.
>>
File: Pathfinder and 5E.jpg (283KB, 983x911px) Image search: [Google]
Pathfinder and 5E.jpg
283KB, 983x911px
>>54570374
It could have been worse, he could have opened with a shitty anime picture. Thank the dice gods we have more class than that.
>>
>>54570347
Finally reached level 8, taken the polearm mastery feat for my vengeance pally.
>>
/5eg/ I need help. I want these PDFs from dmsguild but I'm a poorfag
http://www.dmsguild.com/product/215595/Monsters-of-the-Orient-Complete-Bestiary
http://www.dmsguild.com/product/215866/Tome-of-Adventures
http://www.dmsguild.com/product/210151/Critter-Compendium
http://www.dmsguild.com/product/215639/Specialty-Priests-of-Faerun

I offer you something I scavenged from here before, also from dmsguild. Bunch o' ravenloft monsters
https://mega.nz/#!XU4Rgb4S!6N0rvBs3pSlftxx_-g5DkTAwWmtyWxSwfB9ppWJPSrk
>>
Does the Lizardfolks armour ability stack with the Barbarians Unarmoured Defense for a total of AC13+Dex+CON?
>>
>>54570566
No. AC is calculated by only one method at a time.
>>
>>54570566
This is one of the more common questions in FAQ but the admins stated that anything that calculates AC or instances of unarmoured defence don't stack. So you can't use the natural armour feature with the unarmoured defence trait RAW.

If you aren't playing AL or other official play though your DM might allow it if you ask nicely
>>
Does the fact that Mage Hand has verbal components mean that an Arcane Trickster hiding in the shadows has to speak an incantation out loud to use the Mage Hand Ledgermann?

That seems very counterproductive, given what he's expected to be doing with that Mage Hand.
>>
>>54570347

>didn't link new thread in the old thread

Are you actually fucking retarded?
>>
>>54570618
I never understood why verbal components would reveal you. Like, why can't you just whisper it?
>>
>>54570586
>>54570602
Thanks for the quick response!
>>
>>54570684
Roll a stealth check to not be heard.
>>
>>54570436
Hey, I've made this
>>
>>54570684
In what you could call the "lore" of DnD, you have to speak the words loudly and clearly to set "mystical vibrations" in place or something.

I generally just allow my players to roll Sneak or Deception vs Perception to attempt it.
>>
File: 1500503052149.gif (445KB, 250x188px) Image search: [Google]
1500503052149.gif
445KB, 250x188px
Can one player ruin a game?

Long story short, I've been running a game for two weeks - and I offered someone who's a really sweet guy but v awkward to join our group, mostly because I thought it'd be good for him.

I'm now having second thoughts purely from the standpoint that 1) the other players might hate him, 2) he's more interested in the possibility of social interaction than the game itself. I'm willing to be the dick and make up some reason why he can't join now, but I'm also willing to make it work because I do genuinely think it'd be good for him.

Ultimately my single concern is this: can someone ruin a game just by being awkward? He's not a furry, is not mean or rude, and I currently only have like 3 PCs anyway. Ultimately, my priority is to keep the game afloat and not have it dissolve. Anyone have stories of a single player ruining a game?
>>
Hey annons
Can I ask for a specific picture that was posted here?
It was armored knights standing next to an APC and lady in Victorian looking dress
>>
>>54570774
A single player can ruin a game, but I don't see how an awkward person will ruin it. Worst case I expect them to do mostly nothing for a couple of games then stop coming
>>
File: Fepr-Blackknight.jpg (542KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Fepr-Blackknight.jpg
542KB, 1200x1200px
Question. I am playing an Eldritch Knight for the first time, but I'm having trouble deciding on useful spells to pick. I've played full casters before, so being so limited in my options and spell slots feels really detrimental in combat, but t his could just be because I'm not used to this archetype.
What are good possible ways to play an Eldritch Knight with a Greatsword and Great Weapon fighting? I did pick Absorb Elements and Shield.
>>
File: 1485059985955.png (37KB, 729x529px) Image search: [Google]
1485059985955.png
37KB, 729x529px
>>54569079
there's a spell sheet version of the character sheet.
you can get it yourself here
http://www.dmsguild.com/product/187619/Spell-Sheets--MPMBs-fullyautomated-Printer-Friendly-version

I only downloaded the mystic one but they look pretty good
>>
>>54570853
Forgot to mention, I'm level 4.
>>
>Can one player ruin a game?

This answer to this is always yes

>I'm now having second thoughts purely from the standpoint that 1) the other players might hate him, 2) he's more interested in the possibility of social interaction than the game itself.

Will your friends hate a shy/awkward person JUST for being shy/awkward? If so they are dicks. The second point is more concerning, make sure he actually wants to play the game, because no matter how likeable a person is if they aren't interested in the game and distract the other players from it then everyone will suffer.

>He's not a furry, is not mean or rude

He should be fine then. I've had "awkward" players ruin games but it was only because they were rude and inconsiderate to other players by invading personal space, yelling about pointless shit in the game, and stealing people's snacks. Awkwardness is only bad when it's used as a crutch for shitty behavior.
>>
>>54570893

Whoops, forgot to actually reply to >>54570774
>>
Am I reading it right that darkvision in the Underdark is considered dim light and imposes disadvantage on perception?
>>
File: Moradin_symbol.jpg (15KB, 200x227px) Image search: [Google]
Moradin_symbol.jpg
15KB, 200x227px
Help me, /tg/, you're my only hope!

I need character for tomorrow and i am split between several options: War/tempest cleric or devotion paladin? The only other player is rolling halfelf wild sorcerer.

Pic somewhat related, i wanna be a dwarf.

>>54570774
One player can definitely ruin the game. But i don't think being awkward is that dangerous. (Obviously: Some people, are awkward at the beginning, but turn in assholes later.)

>1) the other players might hate him
What do the other players think about it? Is there reason to hate him? Does he smell or something?
>>
>>54570957
Not just in the Underdark. Darkvision turns total darkness into dim light and dim light into bright light.
>>
File: Um... right....jpg (133KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Um... right....jpg
133KB, 1920x1080px
>>54570957
Or you could just not be retarded and assume the trait that evolved specifically to help drow survive in the Underdark actually HELPS THEM SURVIVE IN THE UNDERDARK.
>>
>>54571005
Figured as much.

>>54571017
There's no need to be severely autistic.
>>
>>54570853
The sword-swingy cantrips Greenflame Blade and Booming Blade synergize with the class features you'll get later that involve cantrips. Shield is the obvious one to take, but you already have it. Other spells that don't key off of your Int at all are Sleep, Alarm, and Magic Missile. Find Familiar is complete cheese, especially if your DM ks a pushover and lets your familiar help you with every single attack and check. Mending constantly comes in handy, to the point where you can take a campaign totally off the rails in the right situation.
>>
File: you wat.jpg (62KB, 251x560px) Image search: [Google]
you wat.jpg
62KB, 251x560px
>>54571037
How is common fucking sense autism? Is it less autistic to play some weird lawyer'y interpretation of the rules that goes completely against the flavor of context of what it should be doing?
>>
>>54570853
For Cantrips, Frostbite from PotA and Booming Blade from SCAG are the go-to options for EK.
>>
Can vampires be bankers?
>>
>>54571017
You mean something like they can actually see something in TOTAL FUCKING DARKNESS? I bet that DOES help them A LOT.
>>
File: 1500870092450.jpg (73KB, 708x433px) Image search: [Google]
1500870092450.jpg
73KB, 708x433px
>>54570893
>>54570838
>>54570978
Word up. Okay, I'll bring him in. He's definitely not a dick. He was just kind of bullied throughout high school and I'm worried some players at the table might like, resent his presence, because it makes them insecure that they might not be cool.
>>
>>54571072
They woukd have difficulty operating during normal business hours.

On the bright side, being mortgage lenders would complicate the matter of who has the right to invite them into a home..
>>
>>54571065
What the goddamn fuck are you blathering about?
>>
>>54571017
Lol
>>
>>54570774
>he's more interested in the possibility of social interaction than the game itself
I've noticed a increase in this behaviour over the years, new players being introduced to D&D through popular media just aren't interested in actually playing a game, they increasingly want to just LARP or play freeform. It's driving away a lot of the older players who want to go back to the glory days of 3.5e's strategic combat.
>>
>>54571067
>>54571053
Well I did take Booming Blade, but why frostbite?
Never really used a familiar before. What's their uses? They don't look like they'd be all that great in a fight. My Eldritch Knight has decent enough WIS and INT scores to be doing out of combat things, so I have that part covered.
>>
>>54571103
Familiars can't attack, but they are expendable and perfectly innocuous flying scouts that basically make the rogue obsolete. And unless your DM shuts that cheese down, they can take the Help action in combat.
>>
>>54571103
Frostbite has a range of 60 feet so you're not boned when something is flying and it imposes disadvantage on the enemy's next weapon attack which helps with being the supertank EKs are so perfectly suited for.
>>
>>54571075
Well it would if you remember that infravision is what drows originaly had and it was folded into darkvision with new editions
>>
>Be Cleric/Sorcerer playing SKT
>DM is adding his own content to the game to expand it, pretty damn good actually
>Walking along, come across a hill giant
>It wants to eat the party elf (monk)
>Say no
>It'll trade us a shiny for her
>Has a magic glow
>Party deliberates
>Trade paladin's Find Steed for the shiny
>Sorry horse
>Find out it's a +2 longsword, paladin takes it
>He sits there, thinking, he's specced as a PAM
>Party barb is also polearms
>Party warlock doesn't want it
>Ask if I can have it

And that's how I'm going to Booming Blade all the things.
>>
File: 1456309275341.jpg (63KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
1456309275341.jpg
63KB, 720x720px
>>54571127
Also you can strap acid, alchemist fire, unstable magic items, and other volatile explosives to them.
>>
>>54571102
It's definitely a thing. Hell, it's why I got initially interested. It went Community episode -> Fire Emblem Awakening -> Critical Role -> one of my friends bringing me into his game. My first character was Walter White as a dwarf.

And now I'm GM'ing and trying to emphasize combat strategy! See, cancer can be good sometimes.
>>
>>54571167
Previous editions don't matter. But if you really want to bring that up, drow have some incentive to use real light in both old and new editions. In 3rd-5th real light lets them see more clearly and in color. In previous editions real light let them see much more clearly and allows them to do things like read books and navigate in hot or lifeless places, because infravision could only see heat.
>>
I've rolled a lawful good monk, party is mostly chaotic neutral.

Am I being "that guy" if I go tell a shopkeep that the others have been shoplifting from him and selling the goods for profit?
>>
>>54571238
You became That Guy the moment you decided to roll a character fundamentally opposed to the rest of the party.
>>
>>54571238
No John, you're in a party of that guys
>>
>>54570497
nobody cares
>>
>>54571238
my question is why a Chaotic Neutral would even be shoplifting while within sight of the Lawful Good in the first place.
>>
>>54570978
I'd go Cleric. Paladin being a high damage Cha caster might overlap too much with a Sorcerer.
>>
>>54571017
Answer the fucking question, you fucking autist, there's no need to pitch a screaming autistic fit.
>>
How would you play a CN character?
This is aside from the question above.
>>
>>54570543

You posted this last thread already. No one is gonna give you your shit ass pdfs.

Why don't you go get a fucking job or kill yourself faggot.
>>
File: sad.jpg (87KB, 715x600px) Image search: [Google]
sad.jpg
87KB, 715x600px
>>54570543
anyone?
>>
>>54571186
Check their strength score and maybe also take their size into account. You don't want to get in a Monty Python style argument with your DM about the carrying capacity of small birds.
>>
>>54571339
Someone who will sometimes challenge tradition for its own sake, not because it promises any benefit for himself or for others.
>>
>>54571072

You're trying to spring a "blood bank" pun on your players, aren't you

I like your style
>>
There's something about the "When Armies Clash" ruleset that I don't entirely understand. When trying to simulate battles, the smallest possible "pieces" on the board other than solos are stands, right? And multiple stands make a unit, right? And if a unit takes damage exceeding one (or multiple) stands, it loses that stand (or those stands), right?

What happens if a stand makes it through the battle with half of its hp left? Does that mean the stand has half of its soldiers left? Or is there simply no middle ground between a stand losing all of its men and a stand losing none of its men?
>>
File: Screenshot_20170719-114656_01.png (663KB, 1080x1314px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170719-114656_01.png
663KB, 1080x1314px
>>54570436
>>
>>54571268
I didn't know ahead of time. I'm the only good character and everyone else is on neutral spectrum.
>>54571275
If they're all that guy and I'm not, have I become their that guy?
>>54571291
They're not shoplifting in front on my character but did end up offering me gold from profits, which I declined.
>>
File: Pathfinder Player tries 5e.png (229KB, 525x248px) Image search: [Google]
Pathfinder Player tries 5e.png
229KB, 525x248px
>>54571404
Might as well continue this circlejerk...
>>
>>54571291

Maybe because characters dont have giant signs over their heads indicating what alignment they belong to?

But I agree that his party is retarded for picking CNs, he himself retarded for going against them all, and the DM an incompetent imbecile force allowing and or emphasizing alignment bullshit.
>>
>>54571404
if you actually read your picture you would see that the pfg topic is destroying the narrative you are setting here.
>>
>>54571340
>it's a redditor shits up the thread episode

>>54571346
I'll check some of the other sites (wizchan maybe).
>>
File: STANDING.jpg (55KB, 512x348px) Image search: [Google]
STANDING.jpg
55KB, 512x348px
>>54571462
I like to make a personal rule that if I make a neutral or evil character, to go Neutral Evil. It seems to be the most flexible of the more dickish alignments, as they are just extremely selfish and do things that would benefit themselves mostly.
>>
>>54571424
Then while it's not your fault, it's advisable to confer with your DM about switching to a character that better fits with the rest of the group.
>>
>Energy Immunity (7 psi; conc., 1 hr.). As an action, you can touch one creature and give it immunity to acid, cold, fire, lightning, or thunder damage (your choice), which lasts until your concentration ends.

I'm playing my Immortal Mystic like Alex Mercer with brain powers and a GOO theme, so for most abilities I'm shapeshifting fitting things. For this I'd be doing fitting mutations, but could use ideas for some if you'd like to be helpful.

>Acid- Carapace with a glossy sheen that acid can't burn through
>Fire- Some kind of heat sinks?
>Cold- A big poofy fur coat maybe?
>Lightning- A thick rubbery skin/shell
>Thunder- I got nuthin
>>
File: Pathfinder gENERAL.png (349KB, 1600x491px) Image search: [Google]
Pathfinder gENERAL.png
349KB, 1600x491px
>>54571485
>When's the last time you saw someone play a handbook race instead of a special snowflake
>Destroying the narrative of Pathfinder being a bunch of magical realm anime shit.

U wot m8?
>>
>>54571560
what game is that
>>
>>54571560
>haha all pathfinder guys just wanna play catfolk and anime girls
>thread topic and discussion actively opposing it
>>
>>54570853
ENLARGE
>>
File: bad.jpg (40KB, 550x512px) Image search: [Google]
bad.jpg
40KB, 550x512px
>>54571599
One sane person in a community of garbage doesn't make the community garbage, especially when the sane person is expressing exasperation at the community being garbage and how common the shit is.
>>
Anyone know of any solid resources for making dungeon puzzles?
>>
We've all heard of the fastball special, and any game with a big throwy guy and a small fighty guy have tried to do it. How do you handle this maneuver, mechanically, in battle? How have you seen other people handle it?

Also: what are some other interesting co-op maneuvers concocted by your players? I had two work together to cast Heat Metal on a thrown knife on mid-air so that it stuck itself in an enemy at red-hot temperatures.
>>
>>54571624
*not garbage
>>
>>54570774
>Can one player ruin a game?
Absolutely. The game I'm in is being effectively ruined by one player. There's some secondary aspects that are influencing it, but the crux of the issue is one single person.

I can get into stories, but its just going to sound like several simultaneous neckbeards.

What you're talking about is a dude that's super awkward. Why is he so awkward? Can you have a conversation with him ahead of time about the awkwardness? Can you talk to the players about it and be like "Hey this dude is interested in joining the game, he's really awkward, would you be okay trying it out?" Can you schedule something social that's *not* the game with the dude? Like - "hey lets meet up at my place and we can hang out for a bit and see if people get along?"

>>54571017
By RAW it still helps them survive in the Underdark - they can actually see, but they don't have perfect vision in the dark.
>>
File: tumblr_inline_nc1pzxUzyJ1r9guwr.png (300KB, 500x279px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_inline_nc1pzxUzyJ1r9guwr.png
300KB, 500x279px
>>54571633

Forgot a picture.
>>
File: 1486868867964.jpg (375KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
1486868867964.jpg
375KB, 900x900px
What kind of voice does a lizardfolk have?

Deep and raspy? Should I exaggerate S sounds?
>>
>>54571515
Yeah... Sounds reasonable. I guess my monk is going to have to leave on a journey of self discovery or lose their moral conviction.
>>
>>54571633
Improvised weapon range, thrower makes the attack roll, ball can use his reaction to add weapon damage/ not take damage.
>>
File: dnd-kittens.jpg (74KB, 600x312px) Image search: [Google]
dnd-kittens.jpg
74KB, 600x312px
>>54571648
Please do get into stories :3
>>
>>54571666
Depends how your lizardmans are built, mine are all bigly yuge and as such sound like Dragons from Skyrim, namely Paarthunax.
>>
>>54571339
In my experience, Chaotic Neutral needs to be followed the way you'd tell someone NOT to play True Neutral.

When people see True Neutral they think "lol balance in things so I'm chaotic evil today and lawful good the next". This would be an example of a character actually believing they're True Neutral and it's right to do this, in a kind of philosophical sense. It's dumb as fuck.

With Chaotic Neutral however, play it as philosophical. Have him follow chaos, for the sake of chaos. Not in the "I'm going to burn down this city" way.

But he actively takes a realistic view on how to make a lawless world more likely. Be it helping a revolution or disrupting ancient traditions for the sake of proving they're outdated.

Just remember that Chaos and change is his belief, and while he's likely to work towards it he won't suicidally act on it 100% of the time and can still play nice.
>>
>>54571707
Okay, I suppose. To set everything up before hand and to head off any "WHY THE FUCK"; our DM was/is a social worker fellow. He worked for a local group where their mandate was helping people with intellectual disabilities integrate into the community, and helping those who have 'aged out' of social care/foster care, but haven't really been able to integrate into the community.

When he started DMing for us, he was living with his (charge?), as the dude was a room mate. He kept having to cancel sessions because the room mate being a disaster, and eventually folded the room mate into the campaign so that he could reliably show up and keep things going.

Dude is, apparently, one of the dudes who grew up in extremely negligent and abusive foster care.

FUN TIMES THAT IS HIM:
>Absolutely no concept of bodily hygiene. We have resorted to making sure DM reminds him to shower, because he gets rank.
>Has some mobility issues, so he .. Apparently needs to sprawl out and take up 2-3 times the space of anyone else. He will, and does, end up sticking his bare feet in peoples faces occasionally.
>Jokingly threaten animals around him. A lot. We've got him to tone this down at least, after "I swear to god if you threaten to kill my cat one more fucking time you're gone."
>Make really fucking random sexist/racist/whatever-the-fuck jokes that don't actually have a punchline or humor. We've gotten him to tone this down.

Fundamentally gamewise, though:
>Has absolutely no idea how the fuck his Monk works. Absolutely no idea what anything does. Literally every single turn, asks what he can do, how to do it, what to roll, and takes forever.
>Never marks down any changes to his sheet. We end up keeping track of his HP/Resource spending, because otherwise he will just burn it forever. He has constantly lost gold because he never marks down gold.
>Characters name is flat out "Whyguy", has absolutely no background, interaction, or anything like that
>>
>>54570774
To put it bluntly, yes.
>>
>>54571859
>Not that it matters if he doesn't have any background, because if we stop fighting, he immediately starts shouting "LETS KILL THINGS!". Like, legit, shouting. If we start having an IC discussion, he screeches "LOOOOUUUUUUD NOOOOOOISES".
>He tries to burn literally everything. This is his only character trait. "I like to murder and burn". And by anything, I mean, "What do you do during your downtime in this town?" "I try to set buildings on fire." ... "As you leave tow-" "I run back and set the town on fire."
Hell, at one point, we were on a flotilla-city, basically, and his immediate reaction was "I SET THE BOATS ON FIRE"
>The entire group has to constantly just sit there and shut down his 'ideas' and hurry us along to whatever is happening next, as if we meander it just breaks down further. This has started to mean we are rail roaded, *hard*.
>Constantly openly asks to be praised for any contributions that he does. He does *not* like anyone else getting the spot light, under any circumstance. If someone does, he immediately ties to redirect it to him.
>If anyone does anything he deems "cool", he must "out-cool it". You took a trophy? WHILE I TAKE A BIGGER TROPHY. You play music? WHILE I CAN DO IT BETTER. Constantly trying to one up, whether or not this makes any character sense or anything else.
>Constantly belittling other PC's over perceived 'failures'. In one session, we were given a McGuffin, which the rogue promptly stored in a bag of holding, and when we were trying to leave (while the rest of the party was escorting him), an orphan somehow snuck by all of us, without any rolls, and pulled the McGuffin *through* the bag of holding, since "all the orphans in this city have a magic that let them do this". Blatant DM fiat, an absurd amount of bullshit, but we are pretty sure the DM just forgot we had a bag of holding and went "oh shit wait". Regardless, he constantly bugs the rogue OUT OF CHARACTER, about "having stuff stolen from him".
>>
>>54571668
Fallen Monks are always fun as shit. The real trick is what fuels his Ki rather then discipline.

If you haven't chosen a Path yet, then maybe take Shadow and make it a divinely inspired choice to become less lawful?
>>
>>54571859
>>54571956

>Constant meta-gaming. Literally every time he hits anything, he goes "Is it dead now?"; when it turns out its not dead, he always asks how much HP it has. After he figures that out, he goes back on his phone and stops paying attention until its his turn again, at which point we have to wait for him to figure out how to play his character again.
>Constantly states other PC's are doing something on his behalf. Like, when we came across a puzzle "Okay this PC is going to do this and this PC will do this and I'll do this".
>Constantly trying to steal shit from other characters, whether or not it makes any sense, or whether or not his character can even use it. If his character cannot use it, and he doesn't try to steal it, he will inevitably try to make us sell it.
>In essence the crux of the above is "he constantly treats the game as if its a single player game where we are there to facilitate his personal adventure."

I have a strong feeling I'll remember more of what, specifically, he does, but for the most part its just he is a constant strain on the group that forces us to avoid any roleplaying, necessitates rollplay, and forces railroading the party to try and corral him.

The women in the group do not want to kick him out, because apparently it's something he looks forward to every week, is one of *the only things* he looks forward to, gets him out and being social and interacting, and he is making a lot of personal strides and improvements as a result.

Personally, I don't particularly enjoy having what should be an enjoyable outing be essentially unpaid volunteer work to facilitate an experience / a place to grow, for this jackass.

Though I might just mark it down as "volunteer work" in the future, at this rate.
>>
Why do so many people hate Dragonborn? I started playing DnD since 4e and never found them intrusive or immersion breaking. I'm not even a furry. Does /5eg/ just have a kneejerk reaction to anything remotely furry? Is it because the females have tits?
>>
>>54571086
Kinda nice of you to do that for him, anon.
>>
>>54572071
>because apparently it's something he looks forward to every week
His enjoyment shouldn't come at the cost of others. I'm not sure how you're still hanging around that because that sounds like pure hell.
>>
File: charizard_by_dav_19-d8l2al8.jpg (763KB, 1340x960px) Image search: [Google]
charizard_by_dav_19-d8l2al8.jpg
763KB, 1340x960px
>>54572154
Half-Dragon races opens up the floodgates to half-cat races, half-wolf races, half-you get the picture.

Any race that's just "Human BUT WITH ANIMAL TRAITS" is kinda shit, fetish pandering and fur fetishes aside. And 9/10 times it comes off as "Humans, BUT BETTER!" anyway.
>>
>>54572191
so it is /5eg/'s kneejerk reaction to anything remotely furry

thanks for confirming that for me.
>>
>>54572209
Listen, do you want to become /pfg/?
>>
>>54572154
They're just garbage. Also most dragonborn players don't actually understand what a dragonborn is.
>>
>>54572209
Sure, if you wana cover your ears and keep echo-chambering yourself. The anon literally gave reasons beyond "furshit", retard.
>>
>>54572218

Weren't they an empire of militant ultranationalists that fell during a war with the guys who would become the tiefling race, and had a lot of their "draconic uber alles" pride broken as a result?
>>
>>54572154
I don't think I uderstand it, either. I think people dislike the fact that it's tied to dragons more than anything. Everytime I see a post about Lizardfolk, people seem to be totally okay with it, but then everyone lumps dragonborn in with tieflings and drow. I just really never got it, especially since dragonborn can have totally non-edgy or evil backgrounds.
>>
>>54572190
Far as I can tell, it's a communal obligation that's kicking in basically. We started the campaign, no one wants to be a dick and drop out. I spoke to the DM about some of the issues, and even *he* is bored with the game, and is kind of rushing us through the campaign now.

The plan right now is that we will start a new campaign once this is resolved, and I'm going to be pushing heavily for 'reduce the number of players', and 'ThatGuy isn't fucking included", or else I'm not going to be part of it. I'm actually debating just starting to DM my own games, because I'm irritated by a lot of this shit.

But, yes, I fundamentally agree with you - one of the women is taking the stance of "If people aren't enjoying it, its not going to be sustainable, and thus we are doing him a disservice."
>>
>>54572191
>Half-Dragon races opens up the floodgates to half-cat races, half-wolf races, half-you get the picture.
Slippery slope fallacy

>Any race that's just "Human BUT WITH ANIMAL TRAITS" is kinda shit
Give a reason for your statement

>And 9/10 times it comes off as "Humans, BUT BETTER!
What are elves, dwarves and other races to begin with?
>>
>>54572154
>I started playing DnD since 4e and never found them intrusive or immersion breaking
You answered yourself. They were NEVER part of the game. It's something 4e devs made to appeal new crowd. "Dragons are cool, so we must have a dragon race." Their backstory is also somewhat lacking. What is even worse is when they tried to push them into established settings. It felt stupid.

4e Tieflings are also pretty shit, but they were present in past splat-books. And they kind of make sense.

Now, i agree that Dragonborn are kind of cool - but they are fringe race for specific setting and not core one.
>>
>>54572154
>never found them intrusive or immersion breaking
> I started playing DnD since 4e
There is your reason
>>
How can I do a character who is technically part of a Royal Family, without being too snowflakey?

I was thinking of having him very far down the list of heirs, to the point he was sent to the church of Illmater just to give him something to do. They trained him as a Monk at his mother's request and eventually he felt obligated to take Vows for the church... the main being he effectively renounced his title (Also vow of chastity for the fun rp that always brings).

Thoughts?
>>
>>54572191
We already have full-on scalies, featherfags, and furshits via Lizardfolk, Kenku/Aarakokra, and Tabaxi. Dragonborn are no worse than any of those.
>>
>>54572354
There a reason the furshit isn't in the PHB. Dragonborn are, and that's why people are pissed.
>>
>>54572191
Yea, so far we have only: dragon people, dog people or lizard people (kobolds - depend on your interpretation), another lizard people, dragon people, cat people, two different bird people, hyena people (not player race, i admit), snake people,... did i forgot something?
>>
File: 1424201236709-3.png (143KB, 342x423px) Image search: [Google]
1424201236709-3.png
143KB, 342x423px
>>54572294
>doing him a disservice
I'm not sure whether to call you stronger than I or dumb as hell for sticking around crap like this. I hope your campaign ends soon and you start your own stuff to avoid that bullshit.

>>54572191
There's already plenty of cases where people ask 'why would you pick human'.
>>
So sort of off-topic for current thread but it's somewhat related:
What are some classes/archetypes and subclasses that you consider more "snowflakey" than others?
>>
So, on a topic other than Dragonborn/furry shit, does anybody here use any of the 3rd party campaign settings, like the Planeshifts, Midgard, Thule, Middle Earth, Farland, Borderland Kingdoms, etc...? Are any of them worth using/stealing elements from?
>>
File: dealwithitman.gif (650KB, 400x154px) Image search: [Google]
dealwithitman.gif
650KB, 400x154px
>>54572311
>They were NEVER part of the game.
There are kids old enough to play right now who were born after Dragonborn were introduced to D&D. To the next generation of players, Dragonborn were ALWAYS part of the game.
>>
>>54572414
Warlock, not for the class but the kind of people attracted to it always think thier pact is the coolest rp thing ever and deserves extra screen time. It's nearly reached the point I'm considering banning Warlock unless I know the player's not going to be a dick.

I don't consider any of the races too snowflakey. I think the issue is a lot of /tg/ likes low fantasy, only human type games. Whereas 5e is clearly set around a diverse bunch of races.

People just get upset that their headcanon of Tieflings and Dragonborn isn't what the books actually paint them as. The fact they're a PHB option shows they're not that uncommon or naturally bad in the standard way 5e is meant to be run.

For archetypes... Nothing jumps out.
>>
>>54572154
I find them boring
>>
>>54572414
Dragonborn. Also, tiefling warlocks, while not snowflakey, get on my nerves.
>>
>>54572414
Pretty much every cha-caster with exception of paladin.

>>54572440
Pretty much every charisma based caster, with the exception of paladin (who is not full caster, anyway).

Elemental monk cames to mind, but it's so bad noone plays them.
>>
>>54572504
I think that may be because the PHB does emphasize that the Pact is the main part of the Warlock. If you're new and coming off of that description, then maybe you'd be upset if your GM isn't mentioning anything related to it at all.
>>
>>54572414
Basically EVERYTHING related to Mystic. It's a retarded psychic-pokemon "create-an-anime-character" class that invalidates every other class in the game from mid-low level (full-casters start to overtake them in the higher levels).
>>
>>54572154
>>54572289

There was a post a thread or few ago about this, and someone came to the conclusion (whether or not its shared by the community) that a large part of it arises from the -Dragon connotation, as well as historically dragonborn kind of derive from the half-dragon template, which attracted a lot of the same folk that went for being pseudo-Drizzt's; it's a perceived VERY special / VERY powerful race that gets type cast into certain roles, and people end up confirming the stereotype because they treat it as any characterization is done purely by them being different.

Lizardfolk, on the other hand, are more .. Ignoble? They 'elevated lizards' perceptively, not something that's viewed to be tied to one of the central themes/challenges/antagonists to overcome (the dragons in 'dungeons and *dragons*').
>>
>>54572504
I try to impose pretty clear pacts on my Warlocks

>Archfey warlock
Lawyer.
>Fiend Warlock
Protect a dragon egg for Tiamat. When the egg hatches into pseudo dragon, that's my Pact of the Chain familiar
>Undying
Kill rival undead
>>
>>54572573
2/2 monks in my party are WoTFE.
>>
>>54572615
How are they doing?
>>
>>54572631
Well, one of them is >>54571859 >>54571956 >>54572071 this guy, so, uh. Yeah.

(They recently got converted to the Sterling Vermin Way of the Four Elements Revisited Monk, which is .. Marginally better I suppose. I really was hoping they would do the *Remastered* one, not done by Sterling Vermin, but I suppose SVAC's is .. More accessible?

In general though still terrible. One guy is barely ever there but he has a near freeform level of understanding of the 5e rules, and the other is the ThatGuy.)
>>
>>54570436

As someone who has never even dipped a toe into the Pathfinder community... is this even vaguely accurate?
>>
File: FourElements.pdf (4MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
FourElements.pdf
4MB, 1x1px
>>54572654
>Remastered
This one?
>>
>>54572697
Yes, the community is fucking terrible, especially after 5e release.
>>
>>54572697
They've gotten a little better recently, but yeah, it's still largely accurate, to the point where people even make topics about it. >>54572297
>>
File: 2015-11-01-22-55-43-63805631.jpg (51KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
2015-11-01-22-55-43-63805631.jpg
51KB, 700x700px
>>54572439

Anybody?
>>
File: 2YRgH72.jpg (89KB, 784x708px) Image search: [Google]
2YRgH72.jpg
89KB, 784x708px
Getting ready to write down a short "intrigue" quest for a session next week. To spare the details, I already have several NPCs in mind and how the quest will resolve itself, but goddamn, I have never tried to do this shit before. Any advice to keep it from being frustrating or boring for players? If I can manage to do this right, it'll be an interesting quest for the low-level party that I'm playing with.
>>
>>54572731

I think for a while, they had trouble with an anon who would spam weeb images and cringey thread questions whenever the thread hit the bump limit.
>>
>>54572719
That's the one I *want* them to be able to have; the one that they have is this one:

... I don't like it nearly as much.
>>
File: 1455690822906.jpg (17KB, 680x383px) Image search: [Google]
1455690822906.jpg
17KB, 680x383px
>>54572798
>An anon
>Implying it was just one

Anon pls.
>>
>>54572774
Insight check is a Role-play skill, not a lie detector. It's perception for emotion or body language.
If you can't come up with subtle stuff like "his voice is pitchy with what seems like rehearsed stacatto" just stick with your basic emotions "he seems bored/happy/angry/sad/disgusted/surprised"
>>
>>54572798
It's not a single shitposter, or even several of them. The whole community is rotten.
>>
>>54570543
Critter Compendium is out there, check 7 or 8. It's commonly requested. I think I might have a copy? No luck with Monsters of the Orient though, keep looking for that.
>>
>>54572798
>It was ONE shitposter
>The entire thread is then consistently filled with waifus, anime, furshit, and little girls

Sure, one person, whatever you say.
>>
File: lafjkhawlfjkh.jpg (39KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
lafjkhawlfjkh.jpg
39KB, 300x225px
>>54571666
Like pic related.
>>
Currently playing as a level 4 Tempest Cleric. The game involves the PCs being on the ruling council of a city-state, going to war and having diplomatic ties with other city-states, etc

What are some good uses of Glyph of Warding for protecting the town after I hit level 5? How specific can I be with trigger conditions? I'm assuming storing a glyph with a maximized damage spell from Channel Divinity is a good idea.
>>
Ok I'll bite; what/who is Drizzt?
>>
>Warlock with Tavern Brawler
>Refluff Eldritch Blast as Eldritch Fists
Monk exists, but what else would have synergy with this build? The thought of an otherworldly martial artist and ghost fists seems fun. What kind of Pact/Patron would be best?
>>
>>54572957
A dark elf ranger who is out on a quest to prove that not all dark elf rangers are evil and bad people and he also dual wields scimitars.
>>
>>54572957
Our illustrious main character.
Yes that statement is stupid.
>>
>>54572957
The original special snowflake, and one of two reasons nobody takes the drow seriously.
>>
>>54572957

Drizzt Do'Urden is a Chaotic Good Drow Ranger. R.A. Salvatore wrote a lot of books about him. Inspired a lot of shitty knockoffs.
>>
Is paladin/hexblade too overpowered a combination? I want to level into a hexblade due to my character's story and have neat interactions planned.
>>
>>54573007

What's the other one?
>>
>>54572977
Could you not just make a Sun Soul monk, and refluff Radiant Sun Bolt as ghostly fists? I feel like that would fit better than Warlock.
>>
What do I do if most of the PCs are dipping into their evil alignment too much and are constantly on the verge of killing each other? It wouldn't be a problem except all the players hate each other's characters too.
>>
File: 1497407467544.jpg (82KB, 510x900px) Image search: [Google]
1497407467544.jpg
82KB, 510x900px
>>54573031
The fact that they're basically a super fetishized dominatrix magical-realm wank-fantasy.

Also the fact that light-disadvantage makes them basically unplayable in anything except an Underdark campaign unless your DM allows some bullshit like "wearing a hood protects you".
>>
>>54573020
Paladin/Warlock already is an extremely strong combination; Hexblade takes it several steps further by giving you a bunch more advantages, and makes you less MAD by letting you use CHA instead of STR for attacks; unless you're doing a 2H weapon.

Talk to your GM about stuff like this.
>>
>>54572982
>>54572985
>>54573007
>>54573012
After reading these descriptions, it seems I've known Drizzt far longer than I thought, the ride never ends
>>
>>54573061
You know what? That works fine as well.
>>
>>54573007
To be fair, Drizzt himself wasn't so obnoxious himself. We're pissed with the original insofar as it inspired all those shitty knockoffs.
>>
>>54573066
Severely punish injury and death when instigated by another player. Remove XP/levels when severely injured by another PC, if killed they start at a lower XP/level amount. Either one of them will kill others really effectively, or nobody will act in fear of injury/death with actual meta consequences, similar to not wanting to poke your head out while being shot at.
>>
>>54572745
>>54572439

Tome of Beasts from Kobold, Fifth Edition Foes from Necromancer, pretty much anywhere you can get more monsters or even ideas for ones.

More monsters is always good.
>>
>>54573007
In retrospect Drizzt was pretty tame, as snowflakes go. He was just popular enough to inspire a lot of imitations.
>>
File: IMG_8946.png (195KB, 956x898px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8946.png
195KB, 956x898px
>>54573131

So, he's like the Sonic the Hedgehog of D&D?
>>
>>54573227

I do have the ToB, but I was more curious about the *world*, not the monsters.
>>
How do I RP the lore-aspect of bards properly?
I'm having issues with being able to being it up/be useful. I'm trying not to be the stereotypical, "suave musician who fucks everything"
>>
Is it completely absurd to give the UD races an option to buy some sunglasses to fix that light sensitivity in worlds where goggles exist?

Or is it not their vision alone but just an undead kinda deal with sunlight?
>>
>>54572349
Easy, make him a bastard. Or make him or his dad a pretender to the throne whose claim is recognized by nobody or almost nobody. Or make him useless for politics because he's sworn to a celibate order or 'cause his dick don't work.
>>
>>54573255
play more of a calm, reserved, but well spoken bard. quite a few famous musicians in real life are strange in some aspect and there are some who aren't even that charismatic. maybe focus less on the performance aspect of your character and have your character be more studious, learning a lot of about music theory and history and constantly making notes in a journal. perhaps they're pieces he's writing or maybe he's just recording the days events for a story.
>>
>>54573268
You are underestimating how hard it is for preindustrial people to make glass lenses of any kind at all, let alone glass lenses that are smoked just enough to block almost all light without being completely opaque.
>>
File: why.jpg (69KB, 638x959px) Image search: [Google]
why.jpg
69KB, 638x959px
Dangit guys I asked yesterday but nobody said anything and now the session's four hours away. At the DM's behest and because we're risk-takers our party rolled stats. We're starting at level 5, and have one uncommon magical item or the like each. I rolled, before racials and not designated to any stat:

The part so far is a Planeshift Vampire Swashbuckler Rogue, Standard-Human Life Cleric, Wood Elf Druid of indeterminate circle, and a Goliath Berserker Barbarian.

SOMEONE HELP ME DECIDE WHAT THE HELL TO PLAY. Please.
>>
>>54573401
Wizard or Sorcerer would be best but your party seems rather well rounded already so I'd just go ahead and play whatever you think sounds fun.
>>
>>54572311
Dragonborn were around before 4e. I remember reading Dragonlance 15 years ago.
>>
>>54573401
Wizard
>>
>>54570347
hey /5e/,
so i have decided to DM a campaign
inspired by the recent underwater thread and the video game ever oasis.
r8 my idea for the first game
>players are in some town
>traveling merchat approaches, needs help
>found a oasis shortcut for a major trade route in the desert
>but lost all his stuff to sandstorms and monsters
>get back stuff, help setup trading post on shortcut.
>travel through desert
>wait for break in sandstorms/fight bandits
>get to oasis.
>oh shit surprise seaserpent jumps out and eats merchant!
>fight!
>desert sea serpent wtf?! investigate
>trapped by surrounding sandstorms
>oasis fed by stream coming out of canyon
>travel up canyon stream through caves and waterfalls
>find small merfolk village in desert canyon
>wtf how they get here? no one knows
>they have built a network of aqueducts that feed water into houses built into the canyon walls
>to protect against monsters that are sometimes in the river
>party help?
>go further up river
>fight some monsters along the way
>find a mesa in the middle of a canyon lake with waterfalls shooting out of it.
>investigate
>water temple dungeon
>do puzzles in water temple
>fight monsters in water temple
>traps in water temple
>find portals in temple that are shooting water into the desert from.... somewhere
>investigate
>discover ways to filter monsters out
>yay
further adventures will be about building new stuff for the town, finding allies with special powers to help the town, cleaning out baddies in the surrounding area, cleaning out magical curse stuff, defending from baddies attacks, getting traders to goto the town, etc

good? bad? recommendations? how do i start this game and how do i find players?
>>
>>54573401
Mystic with Psi Restore to help unfuck your Berserker Barb's Exhaustion onve you hit 9.
>>
>>54573401
How much of time investment are you willing to make? What kind of characters do you enjoy? What have you played last time?

It seems that wizard would be useful to your group. Twe divine casters,melee rogue and barbarian... Either wizard or Warlock.

We have high-elven bladesinger wizard in our group and she is pretty kick ass. Strong defense and mobility.

If you'd rather something simpler, go with warlock - reliable ranged damage from EB is nice and spells and invocations bring up some utility.

Now, can you help me with similar conundrum? >>54570978
>>
>>54573401
You need a wizard. Be a wizard. A chain-smoking gnome wizard with a cool zippo lighter
>>
>>54573087
Sunlight

They get by fine in Barovia
>>
>>54573453
Draconians were only retconned into dragonborn later and were never playable. Dragonborn really started in 3.5 with Races of the Dragon
>>
>>54573343
Man, if an uncommon Wonderous item can give darkvision, it can't be that far off to make a pair of shades.
>>
>>54573577
It's not so much the glare (tho it is too) as much as it is a magical allergy to the general radiation of the sun, like what Vampires have.
Bright light does nothing to the Drow

So when you wild shape as a Drow druid, you'd keep sunlight sensitivity.
>>
>>54573343
stained glass windows are fucking easy to make for dark ages people anon. you dont know what you are talking about
>>
>>54573255
>>54573255
How about play the bard as a bit of a eccentric historian who is a children's performer and wants to make edutainment. Might be obsessed with seeking out illuminated manuscripts and finely crafted items and telling their stories.

Perhaps you meet a lovely lass in a bar and attempt to woo her. But she's bored out of her mind as you excitedly and academically tell her about the calligraphic evolution in hymn books dedicated to Milil.
>>
>>54573483

That sounds like a really cool idea, Anon. As for getting players, you could either try starting a game on Roll20, Fantasy Grounds, Tabletop Simulator, or even try friends.

You may wanna start with something that's not your planned campaign, however. It's generally too overwhelming for starting DMs to learn how to run the game while simultaneously playtesting their own homebrewed material. Most beginning DMs run a pre-written session or sessions first, so that they can acclimate to the rules and the rigors of running the game. If I were you, I would:

1. Get the Starter Set
2. Run Lost Mine of Phandelver with your intended players. Remind them that their characters are temporary, or otherwise allow them to carry their characters into the story you have planned.
3. After finishing LMoP, either start the campaign you wanted to run, or transition into it, now having a bit of experience under your belt, and a better understanding of how to run and balance encounters.

Good luck Anon, your ideas sound great. Just make sure to give the players options, and opportunities for each player to shine.
>>
>>54573647
So you're saying crafting a hazmat suit is the way to go, awesome.
>>
File: 8aecaef.jpg (36KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
8aecaef.jpg
36KB, 500x375px
So I drunkenly accepted my friends idea to allow him a few things
1) Two weapon fighting doesn't use a bonus action, instead they go on the same attack action
2) a Dire wolf companion
And something else too, like some magic item from hoard of the dragon queen or some shit for his companion. I forgot exactly

He's not going to MC so there's that but I'm not worried, would it be something OP in the long run? He's using the beast conclave from the ranger UA
>>
If I was gonna cut flying from racial traits, what's a good trade-off in return?
>>
how would you play a lawful neutral rogue?
>>
>>54573781
Depends on their class. That's great on a barbarogue but as you said, no multiclassing.
Level 1-4 two weapon fighting will be slightly better.
Beyond that it'll still be shit.
Dire wolf companion is overpowered at low levels and later on it's still 'why did you allow this?' not that it's overpowered but -
If the wolf dies, it dies.

You should honestly be giving benefits like these to all the players to let them work out their own playstyle.
>>
>>54573842
Only steal from pricks. Who's a prick? That's your call.
>>
>>54573442
I was going to play a whip-user Monster Hunter with Martial Adept and probably Dual Wielder but I dunno now. Finding out about the uncommon thing made me wanna make something based around some gimmick about wearing the Eyes of the Eagle as a mask.
>>54573553
>>54573466
Any ideas what sort of Wizard? I admit I'm scared shitless of them simply because I have so much to keep track of.
>>54573494
An Avatar Mystic or something?
>>54573539
I've played a Soul-Knife, a Warlock, a Sorcerer, a few various Fighters and a Barbarian. I'm just horribly indecisive.
>>54570978
The Tempest Cleric always sounded fun as fuck to me.
>>
>>54573647

This kind of makes me my rub at my face when I remember that two other players in my game are playing third party races that have disadvantages that have .. Never really ever come up. One has sun light sensitivity, and the other is a djinn-born-thing that progressively goes more insane if it spends time away from a desert.

Yet none of these factors ever have been a thing, or mentioned, and I am only aware of it because I saw the races that they selected / their character sheets.
>>
>>54573310
>>54573659
Thanks guys, I'll keep these in mind.
If it helps any, I'm sort of trying to go for a more INT based Bard, if that makes any sense.
>>
>>54573701
thnx, anon, ive run a couple of 4e games b4. was alot of fun. ive built the water temple aready, according to the DMG rules. thnx for the tips
>>
>>54573850
Again it's the beast conclave from the Ranger UA so he'll get a lot more out of that dire wolf than a random in the group would

He went v. Human so I think he's getting the twf feat right off the bat
>>
>>54573873
Loremaster, Bladesinger, or Div.
>>
who makes a better villain in your opinion. a lawful evil character or a neutral evil
>>
>>54573900
>He'll get a lot more out of that dire wolf than a random in the group would
No, he'll get a lot less.

If a random in the group had a dire wolf the dire wolf wouldn't be part of their class feature.

Also TWF isn't really awfully strong anyway.

Overall you're doing fine.
>>
>>54573925
I don't think I want to curse my DM with the former or the latter.

Load up on a lotta support spells or something?
>>
>>54573483
Confusing and kind of boring. Also, water dungeons are a really bad idea. I'm surprised you don't know this already from video games. Keep your aquatic encounters on ships and coasts and the like.
>>
>>54574010
Bladesinger is a piece of shit too.
Divination is actually okay to hit your DM with.
>>
>>54573659
>who is a children's performer and wants to make edutainment
This is entirely superfluous to being a Bard. It's not anthitical but just being a Lore master is enough.
>>
>>54573900
Wait, so you're allowing him to start with an animal above the CR limitation, and as its a beast conclave from ranger UA, it will continue to get more and more powerful with stat increases?

I would make it either:

> You have a dire wolf *pup*, it uses normal wolf stats until such time you raise those stats to dire wolf levels - at which point its then fully grown.

Or

> You have a normal wolf. When you raise it to dire wolf stats, it'll become a dire wolf.

UA Ranger isn't PHB ranger - I don't think it needs a huge power boost.
>>
>>54573873
Evocation wizard is the easiest to play. No need to worry about friendly fire. Some other schools are stronger but have more fiddly bits or lverly deceptive designs to confuse you.
>>
>>54573713
Yeah, basically. Maybe a pajamas enchanted with the Darkness spell the same way boots of elven kind are enchanted with a Silence one.
>>
File: 1500861054926.jpg (382KB, 881x826px) Image search: [Google]
1500861054926.jpg
382KB, 881x826px
>Criminal background
>Proficiencies: one type of gaming set, theives' tools
>Starting Equipment: [no gaming set or theives' tools]

Do you seriously not start with the equipment your background grants you proficiency in? It's weird vevause backgrounds like Entertainer and Folk Hero DO give you your proficient items.
>>
>>54574030
>Also, water dungeons are a really bad idea.
Please don't say that. I have to come up with one in a couple of weeks and I'm already stressed
>>
>>54573842
>Ethical hacker, pen-tester. Works for the security agency or city watch. May be detective.

>assassin who sees himself only as weapon, not the killer. And he always delivers. ALWAYS.

>Any ideas what sort of Wizard?
If you're not sure, the Divination wizard sounds pretty useful and just pick recommended spells - you will get a lot of spells later, so you don't need to stress about it right now. High-elf is "standard" wizard race.
>>
>>54573996
Neutral evil guy, as LE charcaters are not villains
>>
>>54574038
It just seems like a slap in the face to play Divination
>>54574069
I have been wanting to play a Not-Megaman Warforged, but that might be a bit silly.
>>
>>54574135
Try to learn the lessons of water dingeons in other games. I'd say the most important lesson is not to constantly subject the players to environments that slow them down to a crawl and make half their shit not work.
>>
>>54570618
That's how magic works. Deal with it, faggot.
>>
>>54574204
>Not-Megaman Warforged

Crossbow Expert Fighter for pew pew pew, or some kind of caster for energy blasts?
>>
>>54573996
Depends. I would go with lawful evil, because as libertarian, it confirms my biases about the law, but the execution is more important than alignment.

>>54574167
Second part of this was meant for >>54573873

>>54574204
>It just seems like a slap in the face to play Divination
Because of Portent? Or because you might uncover plot related secrets via spell, instead of adventure? Is it something else?
>>
>>54574030
>water dungeons are a really bad idea. I'm surprised you don't know this already from video games
i love water levels
the water temple in OOT is what i am basing my dungeon on.
SUCK ON THAT NIGGA
>>
File: Hascon Exclusive DnD Set.jpg (32KB, 540x479px) Image search: [Google]
Hascon Exclusive DnD Set.jpg
32KB, 540x479px
Have Hasbro gone too far?
>>
>>54574208
I don't know any.

I also have other additional water rules for types of damage. Thunder Damage has double the radius, and lightning damage is always under the effects of Elemental Adept.
Still coming up with rules for Cold and Acid
>>
>>54574335
Inevitable in retrospect but, yes.
>>
>>54574030
One of my favorite dungeons ever was a water dungeon so you can suck my ass
>>
>>54574171
>That's what LEfags actually believe
>>
>>54574343
Honestly it'd be better to just make it so all damage types do half damage for various reasons.

Lightning because the damage disperses
Ice because the water warms it up rapidly,
etc.
>>
I was wondering, /5eg/: what is the general consensus for the Arcane domain? I was reading into it and it seems like a pretty nice concept for a Gish.

If I were to go Dwarf I could get:
1. Medium Armor
2. Warhammer and Shield

And the domain would add:
3. Either SCAG Cantrips
4. Magic Weapon
5. Force damage on hit (Divine Strike)
6. Shield
7. Selection to good spells in the Wizard spell list (17th level)

These are some benefits that would take a few feats on other builds without resorting to multi-classing. Granted, I have a feeling that its DPR is pretty low comparative to other Gishs, but I liked the concept of gaining power from the Arcane from the connection to a powerful wizard that ascended to Godhood.
>>
>>54574309

The Water Temple is a fantastically designed dungeon, but it was doomed to infamy just because it took way too damn long to get around in it, a fatal flaw in a dungeon with so much circling back
>>
>>54574375
I get that simplification is always better, but in this case I like the exception
>>
>>54574409
If you're being realistic it's logically the case though that pretty much everything is nullified somewhat.
>>
>>54574395
My perfect Arcana Cleric has 1 level of Druid (Shillelagh, and Absorb Elements on one hand, Guidance, Cure Wounds, Healing Word and two others of your choice to free up Cleric Spells to prepare), and the Ritual Caster (Wizard) feat, for that perfect Cleriquy Wizard feel.
>>
Say the party thinks they convinced a dragon to leave them alone.

Say the dragon decides, "nah, fuck those mortals, they'd be a more interesting hunt than these shitty villagers they told me about."

Say the PCs are told there seems to be a very large shadow around them and the sun isn't shining over them.

Say the PCs don't bother to make perception checks or even look up to see the dragon coming.

Should they complain that his breath caught them all?
>>
>>54574271
Energy-blast caster, I got reminded because of the Evocation wizard thing.
>>54574280
Basically just because of Portent.
>>
>>54574426
Poison, necrotic, psychic and Radiant would never get nullified, and if nothing else lightning should get augmented (ask the Storm giants)
>>
>>54574335
The dice themselves actually look pretty good.
>>
>>54574096

This wasn't a gripe, this was a genuine question. Help?
>>
>>54574499
>Say the PCs don't bother to make perception checks

The PCs don't get to decide what to roll, they tell you what they do and you determine if a perception check applies. That being said, if you described a big shadow over them and none of them looked up, it sounds like their fault.

I'm actually a player in a similar situation; we convinced a white dragon to go after a band of mercenaries that we know to be hunting us. Am I going to be looking over my shoulder in case that dragon changes his mind and comes for us? You bet.
>>
>>54574570
You should probably expect it.

White Dragons are assholes, and once he gets bored of the people you sent him after, you'll probably seem like a more interesting target.
>>
>>54574510
Different anon. What's so bad about Portent?
>>
>>54574750

I'd guess it's just a really good ability and wizards are already really good without it so it's seen as overpowered
>>
I have a question, how much does having an original character matter? is there a problem with using tropes so you can identify with your character easier or is the issue when you use too many of them but don't offer any new twists?
>>
>>54574807
Tell me Anon, what do you think the obvious answer is?
>>
File: how to write plot.png (33KB, 1201x287px) Image search: [Google]
how to write plot.png
33KB, 1201x287px
>>54574807
Originality is overrated. Execution is more important. It's bad if you play Conan the Barbarian. But if you play this sexy variant human barbarogue, it's all right. Don't forget to change the names!
>>
>>54574518
You shouldn't require perception checks. You should give them more information than just the shadow. Perhaps three things -
1. The dragon seems like it doesn't actually want to comply (Hint through its body language/tone of speech)
2. There's a fluttering of massive wings
3. There's an unusual shadow passing near them.

If none of them asks to look up, then sure, they deserved it. They don't have to ask for perception, they should simply be able to see it by looking up.

As long as you've established that they have to actually pay attention and ask to do things rather than be tugged along some sort of railroad.
>>
>>54574807

It depends on context. A more casual, serialized adventure could be really fun using stereotypes, especially if all the players are new. But for more experienced, veteran players, it can be more interesting when players try to come up with a new, more unorthodox build. That said, I think the quality of the DM and the group as a whole is far more important.
>>
>>54574879

I've seen hundreds of anime that no one I know at any of my tables will recognize. If I just change the names, I could DM forever?
>>
>>54574807
>>54574807
>I have a question, how much does having an original character matter? is there a problem with using tropes so you can identify with your character easier or is the issue when you use too many of them but don't offer any new twists?
it doesnt matter at all.
the only thing that matters is that you have fun.
so do what you think will be fun.

ignore everything you read on /tg/
the people here are honestly awful human beings.
they hate their lives.
and that hatred spills out into everything they do.
including giving people advice on /5eg/

just do what you think is fun while also keeping in mind the fun of other players. the fun you have with your character will make the game fun for everyone else. you cant go wrong doing that
>>
Portent is not even that good, you have to use it before the roll, it's a 2/day feature and it's not like you will be rolling only 1's or 20's
>>
File: nJtfC9u.jpg (123KB, 761x1049px) Image search: [Google]
nJtfC9u.jpg
123KB, 761x1049px
Guys how would you convert this racial boon from Legacy of Fire (pathfinder)

Genie's Blood (human, Calishite)
Your character counts a genie among his ancestors. Choose one of the following element: earth, fire, water or wind. He gains a +1 bonus to saving throws made against attacks of this element (acid for earth, fire for fire, lightning for water and cold for air).

I think it shouldn't be as strong as "you have resistance to this element", right?
>>
File: inquisitive Super Hentai.jpg (134KB, 1000x753px) Image search: [Google]
inquisitive Super Hentai.jpg
134KB, 1000x753px
So I'm thinking of taking enlarge reduce, but I'm wondering about one of the effects of the reduction.
>The target's size is halved in all dimensions, and its weight is reduced to one-eighth of normal. This reduction decreases its size by one category- from Medium to Small, for example
So say a medium sized creature with a greataxe is reduced to small size. The weapon is also reduced with the creature's size. Would it also gain disadvantage on attack rolls for still using the Greataxe or does the spell also remove the Heavy property from the weapon when reduced?
>>
>>54575082
Why not? Dragonborn get racial resistance, don't they?
>>
>>54571127
>perfectly innocuous flying scouts
the familiar has the
statistics of the chosen form, though it is a celestial, fey,
or fiend (your choice) instead of a beast.

Not going to lie, I'm mostly posting because I like this picture for a fiend owl familiar. But I would say that I'd be unsurprised if a GM wanted to make familiars obvious and used that element of the rules as an excuse.
>>
>>54575099
I'd say no because weapons don't gain heavy when you enlarge, I guess? Breaking my brain with this one.
>>
File: hollywood_lizards.jpg (71KB, 744x399px) Image search: [Google]
hollywood_lizards.jpg
71KB, 744x399px
>lizardman cleric of light that wants to create miniature suns for easy sunbathing all the time

Decent character or too goofy?
>>
>>54575175
perfect
>>
>>54575175

fuck I'm going to play that some day
>>
>>54575082
>>54575113
Because there is another racial boon that already does that, and because Genie's blood also gives you proficiency to charisma checks with elementals.
>>
>>54574951
Well, there is little more to DMing than just plot, but... yes?

>>54575063
While what you say is true, i feel insulted.
My self-hatred leads me to give well meant advices to other people, because i value them more than mine pitiful existence.

Also, your post is shit. Not only is it useless (Don't listen to others! Do whatever you want!), but also contradictory ("Don't listen to /tg/" - coming from /tg/).
Kill yourself.
>>
Alright, this dumbass >>54573401 here, if I wanted to make a party brains/non-healing support, should I go with a Wizard, or Avatar Mystic?
>>
>>54575261
see?
this mans hatred is so out of control that he literally cannot stop himself from spewing bullshit onto the internet.
a normal person would just move on.
>>
>"it's a DM's girlfriend starts playing and everyone hates her episode"
I thought they had cancelled this one
>>
File: what.jpg (4KB, 160x160px) Image search: [Google]
what.jpg
4KB, 160x160px
>>54575523
>>
What minions would a black dragon have? So far I've got Lizardfolk and Will-o'-Wisps. No kobolds pls

And what magic items would it own and use in battle?
>>
>>54575175
I can dig it. It is a good mixture of goofy and effective.
>>
>>54575606
Maybe Bullywugs/Grungs (from Volo's)+Giant Toads if it lives in a swamp?
>>
>>54575606
Oozes seem like a good bet. Zombies, too. Why let good meat waste time while pickling when it could be killing intruders and pickling at the same time?
>>
does 5e have a bloodied mechanic or is my DM a silly person
>>
>>54575688
Your DM is a retard
>>
>>54575688
It doesn't but it isn't uncommon for people that started from 4e to use it
>>
>>54575777
makes sense, I kinda like it desu
>>
I've got 6-7 players and want to keep combat from getting too sluggish. Would having groups of coordinated enemies attack/move/take entire turns simultaneously work well or lead to problems?
>>
>>54575688
What's he using for a mechanic? I can understand saying "X is bloodied" as less abstract shorthand for "X has dropped below half maximum hit points", but that's not really a bloodied mechanic. I do like the old 4e monsters that reacted to being bloodied. Although it's the ones that react to bloodying a PC that really stick in the players' minds.
>>
>>54575851
Yeah the former is what he does so we know that things are getting close to death
>>
>>54575494
I hope you step on lego, fucker.

>>54575845
Grouping enemies works well. You might also consider using average damage instead of rolling for them, at least for minions.
>>
>>54575845
Pretty sure there's an optional rule in the DMG that covers situations like that.
>>
>>54575845
I do it. Personally, I've found that you don't lose a lot by making Initiative a simple check, with a DC based on what they're fighting.

You roll above, say, 12, then you get a turn. Then all the monsters get a turn. Then all the players get a turn. Then the monsters, etc.

Let them mess around with the order between the PCs, as long as that means they co-operate with their planning rather than meaning That Guy dictating how and when everyone else acts. Let players who can't decide let another party member go ahead of them.

It also saves on bookkeeping. You don't need to track who's on what initiative, you just need to know if everyone who can act has acted before you give the monsters their next turn.
>>
>>54575688
There's not a bloodied mechanic, but in the DMG (pg. 248) it says
>You can describe a monster taken to half its hit points as bloodied, giving the players a sense of progress in a fight against a tough opponent, and helping them judge when to use their most powerful spells and abilities.
>>
Running the Sunless Citadel for some players in a few days, leaning into Curse of Strahd afterwards since they have already done Deaths House.

I don't want them to have the whistle of undead summoning so instead swapping it with an item in the boiler room.

It functions as a Decanter of Endless water with the following differences, it holds two large sapphires inlaid into each side that are warm to the touch. The water produced is a piping hot steamy temprature, perfect for cooking hot drinks, tea, or stew, or even just pouring a comfortable bath. The Geyser mode also inflicts an additional 1d4 fire damage on the target.

In addition it has a final command word that when spoken, a pair of steam mephits appear in the erupting steam and serve loyaly, either as bath attendants and servants fawning over their summoner, or assistants helping stir the pot or brew the tea, but if required, are more than happy to indulge in the rough and tumble of combat. When adressed they are quite polite and as professional as any butler, but when backs are turned or their summoner is absent they tend to slack off or roughhouse with eachother like squabbling siblings. If slain, they return to the Decanter to be summoned the next day.

Possibly later, if Strahd notices the item, he may find it a delightful novelty and attempt to barter, or otherwise take it from them.

Does this seem suitable and interesting? My other thought is making it a Charge based item able to cast a few other spells, such as Fog Cloud, Burning Hands and for the bulk of its charges, Conjure Minor Elemental.

Should it be attunement, which makes sense and keeps the Mephits loyalty squared to one player, but if it is taking an attunement slot does it need a little extra?
>>
>>54574010
Go Gnome Conjurer. Everyone assumes you're an illusionist until its too late.
>>
>>54575606
Half-Dragon Crocodiles, Spiders.

From what I recall, Black Dragons are extra defensive of their lairs and domain, moreso than regular dragons. So they will likely shun intelligent minions over those that are either mindless such as undead, oozes or plant-creatures, easily commanded (Lizardfolk, Troglodytes, Kobolds.), or naturally inclined to protect their own nests as well and rather than be direct minions just be indirectly cultivated to nest near and around the Dragons lair, such as Crocs, Spiders and snakes.

What kind of Dragon are we talking? If it's a young black dragon it might just nest amoungst some crocodiles and oozes, but a larger more powerful dragon might have a tribe of troglodytes under its wing and the loyal services of a pair of Medusa or similar potent lairing monsters.
>>
>>54574398
Thunder != lightning, anon
>>
>>54574499
If the dragon's doing it for entertainment, the opening surprise could be something to terrify, not necessarily kill
>>
>>54575650
Bullywugs use to bully this tribe of lizardfolk, so that's a no, but I'll check the Grungs!
>>54575652
Great ideas, thanks. This makes a lot of sense, as the dragon I'm using is known for
>He typically bury creatures slain for food and battle captives in the underwater mud at the heart of the Mere, far from prying eyes. The former are left to rot (for such is the favorite fare of black dragons); the latter are stored for use as decoys and bargaining tools. Captives are stripped of magic, armor, and weapons; they are bound, forced to ingest air spores (a magic item which grants 2d4 days of breathable air regardless of the surrounding environment), and buried in the muck.
>>
>>54575403
Wizard, Arcane Theruge, Life Domain.

Be the white mage, no one fucks with the white mage.
>>
>>54576201
I-I said non-heals, we already got a Life Cleric.
>>
>>54576225
Wizard's probably a good choice then.
Also your Wood Elf Druid should have chosen a circle at level 1. (and the land, if they pick that one.)
>>
>>54576153
Adult, twin brothers used to making deals with adventurers and with a thirst for powerful magic items.

Oh yeah, this might be a good chance to use a Giant Crocodile! And I think a Medusa might be too much, but maybe a few basilisks could work.
>>
>>54576250
I know, I just don't know what circle they're doing.

I'm mostly nervous because wizards have a lotta shit to keep track of
>>
>>54576225
Oh my bad, I missed the "Non-healer".

I don't know Mystics so I'd say Wizard I guess.

Mastermind Rogue can play the part pretty well though, as can a Knowledge Domain Cleric.
>>
>>54576250
Druids get their archetypes at level 2
>>
>>54576279
It's not that bad. You already played sorcerer, so checking spells slot is something you are familiar with. Now add tracking prepared spells instead of sorcery points and that is mostly it. You usually use your standard payload anyway and change it only occasionally, so it's not that much hassle.
>>
>>54576225
Bard.
>>
>>54576303
We got ourselves a Swashbuckler and a Life Cleric so I'd like to avoid stepping on toes.
>>54576329
I only played two sessions with the Sorcerer, as in levels 1 and 2, before the DM bailed on that campaign. So that doesn't help much. I guess you have a point though.
>>54576331
Because Bards can do anything?
>>
>>54576320
well shit, shows what I know
>>
>>54575403
I'd go with wizard or bard, whichever suits your fancy more.
>>
I have a question about "kiting" situations. My players now have an airship in SKT. They visited a town that was destroyed by stone giants, who were now sorting through the rubble. The ranger has the Sharpshooter feat and the ballista has a really long range, so they were able to just park the ship 400+ feet away from the giants and move the ship back whenever they got close. They kited them.

I understand that this situation happens from time to time with long ranged characters. Basically I want to know how I'm supposed to run a combat where the enemy has no hopes of success. Because it took away valuable session time and I felt like only the ranger was doing anything and was engaged.

Should I just gloss over how they pelt the giants with arrows for a few minutes and manage to take them all down while they throw rocks at the ship and miss due to the range?
>>
How does a Berserker Barbarian stack with a dip into Fighter?

>Attack
>Extra Attack
>(action surge)
>Attack 2
>Extra Attack 2
>Berserker Bonus Attack

Also, is Berserker as bad as people make it out to be? I'm making a character who's a real rage machine that the Totem path doesn't fit. In combat, at least, the Disadvantage on attack rolls from exhaustion can be counteracted by Reckless Attack.

Also: is it worth dual-wielding as a berserker if you get a Bonus Action attack anyway?
>>
>>54576374
>Because Bards can do anything?
Because bards can do anything, and be fun.

And if one if the life Cleric gets in your nerves, pick up Aura of Vitality at level 6 and out heal him
>>
>>54576481
>the Disadvantage on attack rolls from exhaustion can be counteracted by Reckless Attack.

There's something wrong if you get that far into exhaustion levels.
>>
>>54576475
Kitting is asking for DM bullshit.

If the airship is soloing the ranger, then either have the whole team engaged with navigational activities or then start having bullshit happen in the sky.

May I suggest Roc birds? They're giant related
>>
>>54576268
Aha, that guy, neat.

Basilisks could work, or a lot of monsters really.

On magic items it's kind of hard for Dragons to have items to use adeptly in combat, but perhaps as a gift to its more loyal servants.

A Half-Dragon Troll, mighty warrior and subserviant spawn of the dragon, naturally mere acid does not negate his regeneration and further more a gift from his draconic father, a cloak that entirely negates a set amount of fire damage a day. Between this it becomes very difficult to put the warrior for good, but not impossible.

Perhaps the players could learn beforehand about his cloak and send the rogue in to steal it, or try to appeal to the trolls inflated ego and challenge him to lone combat with no magical items. Or they could learn from another that while he does appear immune to flames, once you use enough fire say for example, 25-50 damage, the cloak crumbles and becomes useless until dawn, leaving him vulnerable to fire.

Alternatively, if you wanted to use a Medusa, sure. Of course she has been forced by the dragon to wear an enchanted silvered mask that blinds her and prevents her from using her stony gaze without his permission . As a result she is kept around like a pet, her powers only unleashed when he wishes her to make some fine statues for his lair. If the party come to fight her she only has her sword-skills and snake-hair to fight with, so not a dominating challenge.

But also, the party could barter with her, finding a way to remove the helmet in exchange for her helping combat the dragon. Of course her gaze will do little but counteract a legendary resistance or two and maybe pacify some minions. You could even add her to the final fight asking the dragon to release her, only to be denied on the grounds that "I am not stupid, I know this is your best chance to turn on me.".

Both are a good way to show the dragon has access to quite a lot of magic items.
>>
>>54576475
> Basically I want to know how I'm supposed to run a combat where the enemy has no hopes of success.

What would you do in that situation?

Take cover?
Run away?
Surrender?

If someone were shooting at me from 400ft away and I had no chance to retaliate, I would probably attempt all three in that order. Most enemies are smart enough to have basic survival instinct, and sometimes that means quitting while you still can.
>>
>>54576481
>>54576542
You only heal 1 exhaustion a day.

Which means if you went frenzy 3 times in a day to get that deep into exhaustion, you need 3 full days downtime just resting it off. Remember once you hit 4, your HP is halved, 5 you are immobile and are pretty much incapacitated, the only upside is you can rage a 6th time to kill yourself and reroll a new barbarian.

Hell, rage once and your skills are pretty much invalidated. Rage twice and you're slower than a dwarf, Rage 3 times and you're giving up your best feature.

Then again, if you're expecting to try and float around 2-3 levels of exhaustion and have disadvantage on attack rolls often, maybe combine it with the Double-sized Greataxe for 2d12 damage attacks.
>>
>>54576475
>enemy has no hopes of success
Well, what would you do? Retreat, of course.

>Should I just gloss over how they pelt the giants with arrows for a few minutes and manage to take them all down while they throw rocks at the ship and miss due to the range?
Or that. I would maybe let the sharpshooter describe the slaughter, to satisfy his inner murderhobo.
>>
>>54576481
Dual is decent before you get a second attack assuming you have no feats
>>
>>54573842
Secret Agent. In spirit, that is. A secret agent has stealth, fights incredibly dirty, and stealths things, but does so professionally, out of duty to their country/ruler/employer, and usually had a code of conduct.

You could take this and apply it how you want though - even a freelance rogue in a party could behave this way.
>>
>>54573781
Even without requiring a bonus action, TWF is still relatively weak because it never scales up with Extra Attacks, so your change should be fine in the long run.
No comment on the wolf.
>>
>>54576475
The giants run into cover, or start picking up the city gates to use as a huge shield. Or yell for the giant who picked up a Ballista from the watch tower and starts belting fire back. Or they call out to Ded'Eye Gorruck, the best rock thrower in the tribe who baseball pitches a nice boulder right back at the ranger because this guy also has the sharpshooter feat.
>>
>>54576703
>start picking up the city gates to use as a huge shield

Wouldn't work.

>Or they call out to Ded'Eye Gorruck, the best rock thrower in the tribe who baseball pitches a nice boulder right back at the ranger because this guy also has the sharpshooter feat.

This is just retarded.
>>
>>54574495
I like this.
Grab goodberry too, to give a familiar a job as a reanimating nurse.
>>
File: 5e_monster_and_spell_import.png (24KB, 588x583px) Image search: [Google]
5e_monster_and_spell_import.png
24KB, 588x583px
I found the Roll20 importing tool on https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html and it's super helpful for loading in monsters especially. Is there anything similar to this but for pregen player characters?
>>
>>54576574
Well, they went to this town to repair their airship after they were attacked by a Roc. I wasn't expecting them to go to the town since they were so close to the giant stronghold, but they wanted the ship repaired anyways just in case. I just used the encounter suggested for the town without thinking about the possibility of kiting. I guess I could have had the ship go haywire or something, but I had nothing prepared for that situation.

>>54576656
>>54576623
The problem that I ran into was that the towns are literally described as flattened. So if they retreat, the players just follow them and keep shooting. It was a situation where I hadn't considered the ramifications of them staying aboard the ship. I should have done something with them trying to assemble fortifications from the rubble or something, I guess.

>>54576703
I like this idea in general, but the numbers unfortunately don't work out. Max range is 240 feet for stone giants, and the players were very specific about staying 590 feet away. It's one of those situations where my players outside knowledge of the game rules made it difficult to improvise.
>>
File: Sweater Elf.png (442KB, 766x820px) Image search: [Google]
Sweater Elf.png
442KB, 766x820px
>>54570347
My Level 5 party is about to finish a quest of seeking an Adult Copper Dragon that promised them aid against a upcoming Mindflayer/Underdark invasion. I haven't decided specifically how to reward my players besides treasure tables, and I'm trying to think of something unique. I'm tempted to give them an item that will make all (or maybe only some) totally immune to its Devour Brain ability, but that seems a little bit too simple. Any suggestions? Also any fun suggestions on roleplaying him and his lair would be cool, he's a pretty blank slate at the moment.
>>
>>54575099
A greataxe is a greataxe regardless of its size - the Heavy property is about the difficulty of leveraging the weapon when your own weight is proportionally so low, not the actual weight of the weapon.

So yes, a newly Reduced character would suffer Disadvantage if trying to use a Heavy Weapon.
>>
>>54573781
TWF not using an attack action is fine. It's by far the weakest martial option so letting it slide is okay.

Dire Wolf is a bit iffy, considering Wolf is already the most powerful animal companion option. I'd either do what people said and give him a Dire wolf pup (Stats as a Wolf), and at X level it can become a full direwolf.

Or alternatively, key it into an item, like say "Okay we're starting at 6th level, each player can get a Rare magical item of their choice obviously permission pending, James, you've got a Cloak of the Dire Wolf, functions as a cloak of protection and allows you to have that stronger companion you wanted.", because obviously the Dire Wolf is going to make him much stronger, so it should cost an attunement slot and effectively one of his "items" so players don't go "Well the ranger hasn't got a rare item yet so give him X" when dividing loot.

It's what I did in a level 16 campaign with my group, we had a Kobold Ranger with a Wyrming Black Dragon companion, each player had a legendary level custom made magical item, his was a Legendary Ring of Acid resist that let him pick the empowered pet, and let the Dragon breath attack as a bonus action. It was powerful yes, but this was in place of him having say, a +2 Shield that could had charges to cast a few select Paladin spells, or a powerful staff of power used by the Sorcerer with a "Time mage" style spell list, could cast things like Shield (Representing a time-stop dodge.), Haste, Slow, Expeditious Retreat, Longstrider, and once per day, Timestop. With the final ability that once per week he can turn a Short-Rest into a Long-rest. The campaign was a one-shot adventure so it let them get a single long-rest without disrupting the story to settle down for a nights rest.
>>
>>54575606
barely tolerated swamp hag neighbor. Not really a servant, but negotiable for favors
>>
>>54576810
Guess what, Ded'Eye Gorrucks has a patented lurching throw where he sprints forward taking three quick strides, angling his shoulder like a Javelin-hurler and launches that oversized, stone-tipped spear at twice the distance any other could manage is quite famous amoungst the stone-giants, what is most impressive is that even at this huge range, he still has the accuracy to hit a target as small as a small warmachine.

He can even end the exchange with a smirking noserub, as the other giants cheer. Ontop of that, you've now got a named giant that the Ranger is going to be keeping an eye out in his later quests.

Or even better, one of the Giants is a Loremaster Wizard with a spyglass, suddenly the Ranger is thunderwaved off the airship from a mile away.
>>
>>54576590
I like these, I like them a lot. Thank you for the suggestions!
>>
File: oots0216.gif (111KB, 678x923px) Image search: [Google]
oots0216.gif
111KB, 678x923px
>>54576717
Depends how big the door is. If it is large enough to use as total cover, the Ranger is cucked.

And what is so retarded about monsters having exceptional individuals too? I think it's easier to believe that the Giants have a go to guy for throwing really far, or perhaps a particularly fast sprinter-giant who can dash as a bonus action to close the distance faster than the ship can manuever, than that they would all immediately lumber slowly after something they can't catch, reach, or fight back against while getting picked off at a very slow rate. Any form of spellcaster ally that can throw up Wind-wall or even Haste would work too. Lots of options ofsuprise elements and things to include that would have fixed the min-maxing tactic.

There is a difference between retconning an advantage away, and adding a minor trait to add interesting elements back to the fight. Literally anything is better than "Uhh, yeah I guess thanks to mathmatically staying 10ft further away than they can reach, and them being literally dumber than an ooze, you kill them all with no risk or resource, well done have two level ups worth of xp."
>>
>>54576810
The attempt is what matters. If the stone giants just stand around letting the players shoot them, they're video game enemies; if they make a real attempt to survive, they're People, with basic self-preservation instinct and increasingly desperate will to live.

Mindlessly plinking away at helpless video game enemies is one thing, but systematically wiping out a group of stone giants that's scrambling to escape, searching among the ruins for cover, maybe even ducking behind fallen comrades as the body count rises...

That's probably something you can make them feel bad about at least. Especially since I'm pretty sure executing surrendered enemies is a war crime.
>>
>>54570618
>You can perform one of these tasks without being noticed by a creature if you succeed on a Dexterity (Sleight of Hand) check contested by the creature's Wisdom (Perception) check.
RAW it doesn't matter. If you pass the check, you're undetected.
>>
>>54576475
They're going to run out of ballista bolts eventually
>>
Why is OrcPub2 the greatest character builder?
>>
>>54577423
>using a character builder
>>
File: 1500792407381.jpg (56KB, 493x387px) Image search: [Google]
1500792407381.jpg
56KB, 493x387px
>Join an all-evil party on an evil campaign
>Everyone else turns out to be unambitious goody-two-shoes who are too kind to take the path to power
>>
>>54577451
Why not? Especially when it's well designed.
>>
>>54577258
>cucked

Not even dealing with you.
>>
>>54577494
Here's a little-known secret: evil parties do 90% of the same shit as good parties. They just make different choices along the way when presented with moral dilemmas.
(Unless you're literally evil cultists or something)
>>
>>54577423
hot damn i'm glad you posted this
this thing is going to save me a billion hours
>>
>>54577579
That's true, but in this case they're still taking the 'good' options when those moral dilemmas crop up.
>>
>>54570347
riveting discussion on how to stat ponies from mlp in the 5eg discord join c0re and us on homebrewing up some stats for these bad boys and girls
>>
>>54577423
>Not Posting link
https://www.orcpub2.com/
https://www.orcpub2.com/
>>
Whats the best way to make a Heavy Crossbow sniper?

Should I variant human rouge for weapon master, or dip a level into fighter.
>>
Which language would you say is the most alien and unknown? Deep Speech?
>>
>>54577700
Take 2 levels in Fighter.
>>
>>54577719
Depends, but if your going to a fucked up place such as The Far Realm I'd say Deep Speech
>>
How horrible would I be if I ask my DM to multiclass as a UA ranger? I'm already level 6, so it's not like I just dipped for the front-loading, right? :/
>>
New thread

>>54577795
>>54577795
>>54577795
>>54577795
>>54577795
>>
>Making map
>Wait can a lake even be here?
>Wait this doesn't seem right
>tfw too autistic to ignore it even though players won't care
>>
I need ideas for an addiction to have after going through a traumatic event. Preferably not drink or drugs
>>
>>54577782

>multi-classing with UA

just stop, anon
>>
>>54577580
>>54577673
Be sure to use Chrome, it does weird things and blacks out the screen in Firefox. Enjoy. And cheers to that dude.
>>
>>54577423
Doesn't have UA which is understandable, but annoying
>>
File: dungeons-dragons_L155.jpg (47KB, 628x480px) Image search: [Google]
dungeons-dragons_L155.jpg
47KB, 628x480px
>>54577806
Think outside the box man. Need an excuse for a lake? A bunch of Water Elementals got banished into that specific spot. Or nymphs made it. Or elves. Or a kooky Wizard who wanted to take a dip on a particularly hot day. There's no logic in your world; your God here.
>>
>>54576810
Well, jealous dragons and cloud giants can plot to steal it from them.
>>
>>54577882
It has some UA.
Thread posts: 335
Thread images: 52

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.