[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 331
Thread images: 41

Deep Places of the World Edition

>Unearthed Arcana: Greyhawk Initiative:
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UAGreyhawkInitiative.pdf

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Alternate Trove:
https://dnd.rem.uz/5e%20D%26D%20Books/

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread:
>>54557863

What is your favorite thing that your party has faced/discovered/interacted with in the deep places of the world?

What was the scariest?
>>
The scariest thing we found was a bridge between the material plane and a realm called the Other Side in our setting.

Horrible entities were spilling out from the Other Side and corrupting the terrain itself and their influence was starting to spread to the surface. When we arrived, there were these tendrils reaching out of the black void that grabbed our Rogue and pulled him in. We never saw him again.
>>
>>54562222
can't argue with quads I guess
>>
Anybody know of any good premade dungeons buried below a cemetary?
Looking for multi-level catacombs
>>
are there any wizard spells to just summon a mundane weapon? The best I could come up with is to take the Conjuration school for the level 2 ability to conjure a short sword
>>
>>54562274
I do not, but you could easily refluff another dungeon to fit your theme. What level?
>>
>>54562292
>Conjuration school for the level 2 ability to conjure a short sword
Items conjured with that ability disappear if you deal damage with them
>>
>>54562274
>>54562307
As they progress deeper it gets more difficult, so anything from player level 1-5 can work to start off with
>>
File: 1253852917237.png (49KB, 249x235px) Image search: [Google]
1253852917237.png
49KB, 249x235px
is PvP ever justified?
>>
>>54562309
no it disappears if the object is damaged. There's a difference
>>
>>54562335
Yes
>>
>>54562309
http://www.sageadvice.eu/2016/07/01/if-i-conjure-a-weapon-with-minor-conjuration-and-i-hit-a-creature-does/

Why do you lie anon?
>>
>>54562335
in character yes
the dm should try and prevent it since he knows the characters
>>
>>54562292
Wear wide robes and pull a regular short sword out of the sleeves while pretending to cast a spell.
>>
>>54562344
>>54562347
Read the errata. It explicitly disappears if it deals damage.
>>
>>54562350
>>
>>54562345

When?
>>
>The start of a new campaign is tomorrow
>I'm still having fucking trouble figuring out what to play

16/15/13/12/11/10 for my rolls, someone fucking help me with ideas
>>
>>54562292
You should just focus on enhancement instead.

But no. The closest I can think of in terms of low level magic is that sword burst cantrip. The only true mundane weapon creation spell I'm aware of is fabricate which is in no way a combat spell.
>>
>>54562335
>>54562386

If a character has become a far greater threat to the party than any of your enemies, it's time to give the player a talk. if they fail to heed it, cutting the character loose (possibly via violent murder) is a viable choice.
>>
>>54562358
Please point me to the page of the errata, and the source. Do you mean the Sage Advice Compendium, or the PHB Errata?
>>
>>54562427
http://media.wizards.com/2016/downloads/DND/PH-Errata.pdf
>>
>>54562350
>>54562422
>>54562386
Sometimes PvP is necessary, if it's necessary the DM should definitely push for it. Avoiding OOC fights is the key factor though
>>
>>54562335
Only if the character needs to be removed.

If your DM awards XP for it, they're a fucking faggot who needs to choke on their own semen.
>>
>>54562436
How does that make sense? Does some metaphysical entity observe this object and then just snap his fingers to dismiss it if it's judged to do damage? Like it cuts raw beef fine but stabbing someone is a no-no?

That said, it's RAW, but it's still some really stupid RAW.
>>
>>54562422
>a far greater threat to the party than any of your enemies

sounds like a really high bar to clear
>>
Do you use XP or milestones?
My DM just levels us up when he wants to, usually once every 2-3 sessions. It works out and nobody really has a problem with it.
>>
>>54562335
Yes, for when some idiot brings a character into the group that just causes trouble and has no real reason to be around, but won't leave or stop
>>
Why are boots of flying uncommon? They're busted in half and on ranged characters they make almost every combat a joke.

I feel like none of the pre-written adventures were written with flying in mind. Especially Storm King's Thunder, where an UA ranger can do fucktons of damage while flying out of the giant's range.
>>
>>54562493
That's what I do, or when I don't feel like making the PCs too weak for what I want them to fight.
>>
>>54562493
DM normally uses milestones. Sometimes we start XP and then the DM just starts milestone at some point because its easier. We are supposed to be using XP next game, guess I'll just wait and see if it lasts
>>
>>54562474

Well, you ideally don't want to murder your teammates. But if you have to worry more about the guy at your side than the horde of gnolls bearing down on you, then clearly, something needs to be done.
>>
>>54562493
Milestones 3-5 sessions. Maybe more depending on what my party does.

They enjoy messing around so the number of sessions jumps from time to time.
>>
>>54562511
>Why are boots of flying uncommon
Boots of Flying? What book did you see those in? They're not in the DMG, and even Boots of Levitation (which are strictly worse) are rare.
>>
>>54562400
>rolling for stats

Disregarded
>>
>>54562511
>they make almost every combat a joke.

>have enemies that also use ranged weapons
>shoot PCs out of the air
>if they get KO'd, the falling damage is an instant kill
>>
>>54562576
Technically, any amount of fall damage less than the character's max HP is just one death saving throw failure.
>>
>>54562564
I think they're under "winged boots". I'm not the guy who you're replying to, but off the top of my head I think they're 4 hours of flight a day at land speed broken up into any combination of minutes you like at uncommon, which is pretty fucking good
>>
>>54562564
He means Winged Boots you git.
>>
>>54562564
DMG. They are called Winged Boots. 4 hours of flying at your speed, recharges 2 hours every 12 hours not in use
>>
>>54562576
They aren't concentrating on a spell, so I'm not sure how easy it would be to know them out of the air. Only using enemies with ranged attacks/flight also severely hurts monster variety
>>
>>54562594
>>54562602
>>54562618
>Winged Boots
Well fuck me for not knowing the name of an item that's literally at the opposite end of the magic item list
But yeah, that's fucking stupid. It looks like a shitty adaptation of a god damn Pathfinder item. Is there anything else in 5e that allows you to split up its effective duration like that?
>>
>>54562584

If they're so high no enemies can reach them I imagine it would usually be an instant kill
>>
>>54562566
It's what the DM wanted I didn't say anything.

We also get our pick of one Uncommon magic item.
>>
File: 1493307806884.jpg (52KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
1493307806884.jpg
52KB, 640x360px
If Half-Elves live up to 180 years, at what age are they considered most attractive in a young and beautiful kind of way?
>>
>>54562674
>>>/pfg/
>>
>>54562643
>It looks like a shitty adaptation of a god damn Pathfinder item
please stop being so new.
>>
>>54562674

179. It's kind of bittersweet.
>>
>>54562674
i think they roughly parallel humans outside of middle age which is super extended
>>
File: Vax's Items.jpg (79KB, 600x423px) Image search: [Google]
Vax's Items.jpg
79KB, 600x423px
>>54562643
>Is there anything else in 5e that allows you to split up its effective duration like that?
Yes, the Boots of Speed.

> It looks like a shitty adaptation of a god damn Pathfinder item.
See Boots of Haste in pic.
>>
>>54562564
Winged Boots. 4 hours of flight a day at 30 feet per round. Broken up however you want.

>>54562576
Basically the issue is that I'm finding that a UA ranger (at 8th level, so they can dash as a bonus action) with a longbow, sharpshooter feet, and Winged Boots is fucking impossible to design encounters around. When fighting against giants and humanoids they do unbelievable damage (and hit on a 5+ against everything), they're always in the air, if it's a flat plane they're 600 feet away, if it's inside, then they get 60 feet of movement to work with in all directions.

My players just got to the stone giant stronghold and this one ranger is outdamaging every other player by significant margins and has trivialize multiple encounters in the book. I can tell that some of my other players have begun to feel like they're just being carried.
>>
>>54562716
So I'd still have to make my character fairly young if I wanted to go for that kinda thing.
What about full elves? They can live for a whole 3 quarters of a millenia. Surely their peak lasts more than their late teens/early-mid twenties.
>>
>>54562493

Milestones for modules and story-based campaigns, XP for West Marches and hexcrawls.
>>
>>54562764
talk to the player about what is happening, work out how to have a story encounter that ends with the boots being destroyed or nerfed in some way, use it as a way to build up the threat of a special enemy.
>>
>>54562764

Have him fight something in the dark, now he can only be 60 feet away assuming darkvision.
>>
Critical Role is live now and Darin De Paul, their objectively best guest, is already stealing the show
>>
If you were to make some sort of quick draw feat, what would it be?
>>
>>54562893
You mean like Dual Wielder?
>>
>>54562400
Do you know what the rest of the party will be?

You can start with an 18 and 16, so you're pretty much set when it comes to being a useful character.
>>
>>54562924
Oh I guess yeah that'd be it

I guess I forgot the most important thing to do before asking fun questions reading the fucking book
>>
>>54562893

I have no fucking idea how that would work, since drawing weapons can be done "as part of an attack" meaning every creature in the game by default is a quickdraw artist.

Maybe +10 to initiative if it's rolled when no combatants have weapons drawn, +2 to initiative otherwise? Sounds like it would be pretty shit overall though.
>>
>>54562943
>Fun
Dumb
>>
>>54562893
Alert or Dual-Wielder.
>>
>>54562948
What about +20 in initiative for the first round of combat?

Though that would be pretty OP with assassin.
>>
>>54562170
>What is your favorite thing that your party has faced/discovered/interacted with in the deep places of the world?
fighting a bunch of drow in a chasm full of spider webs, had to worry about drow, had to worry about spiders, had vertical as well as horizontal movement, could cut the ground underneath someone sending them plummeting several "levels." That shit was awesome.
>>
>>54562980
No that's fucking stupid>>54562980
>>
>>54562860
Is that even how that works though? What if another player has a torch or illuminated weapon? They'd still be able to see based on that.

Also that's just one or a couple encounters. We still have half a campaign to go and looking ahead I don't really see anything changing how powerful this is.

>>54562810
I've sent him a text with my thoughts. It's not any one of those things that too powerful (arguably the extra damage from favored enemy is too much). It's just everything combining to make an 18 AC, 60ft per round, flying, 600 foot range, always hitting, monster in combat.
>>
>>54562873
Book Hunting!
>>
>>54562335
Yes, if, IF all parties are okay with it AND the possible outcomes are agreed upon (PVP okay, no death, death okay, no death but crippling/amputations okay, etc)
>>
>>54563043
Very interesting that Scanlan was chosen over Percy for Ioun's challenge
>>
>>54563053
I agree.
>>
>>54562980
The Alert feat gives initiative, means you wont be surprised, and combining that with basic item interaction rules means drawing a single weapon wont be a problem, so that sort of quick draw concept is covered. If you want to draw two things dual-wielder has that covered, though there's much less reason to go that route
>>
>>54562873
>>54563043
>>54563053

Critical Role thread:
>>54562324
>>
>>54563045
>no death but crippling/amputations okay

Who would ever agree to this? Having your character crippled is worse than having to reroll, unless you're in a high enough power campaign to have it reversed, in which case it's meaningless.
>>
>>54563125
This may shock you, but some people have fun in ways that are different than your own.
>>
>>54563147

I haven't met anyone who has fun playing a one-legged gimp, unless you're playing one of those DnD games that never leaves town and is super comfy and all social interactions, then nevermind I guess.

Otherwise you're dead weight.
>>
>>54563120
ty friendo
>>
Is there any reason for a dragonborn paladin to be in Barovia?
>>
>>54563208
Yes, being a Paladin and doing Paladin things
Their race is irrelevant
>>
>>54563167
you've seriously never played a one legged pirate or a blind swordsman? Not even an ex con who had his tongue removed? Man, I am so sorry for you, anon.
>>
>>54562941
We're starting at Level 5 as well.
We've got a Vampire Swasbuckler from the Plane Shift thing, a Standard-Human Life Cleric, and a Wood Elf Druid of unknown circle. One other player of unknown class, it might be delayed a bit because that guy's new and isn't sure what he's doing.
Oh, and a Bugbear of some sorts, I'm not sure what exactly, probably Battlemaster if I had to guess.
I think the Cleric is starting with +1 Plate.
>>
>>54563208
Presumably if the player had really bad taste. In races I mean. Paladins are fine
>>
>>54563208
there's, like, at least three reasons a dragonborn paladin would be in barovia, shit, I can think of one that is a significant plot point.
>>
>>54563220

I played a cleric that lost his leg and then I basically retired him because I knew that going into combat with a missing leg would be a death sentence
>>
>>54563242
Any reasons specific to dragonborn?
>>
>>54563263
artificial legs exist, even back then. It really doesn't take a genius to figure out "maybe if a strapped something to the stump..."
>>
>>54563290
>maybe if a strapped something to the stump...

it wouldn't be as good as having a leg? Wow, nice.
>>
>>54563287
same reason as Paladin

Also, do they really need more of a reason than halflings, gnomes, or tieflings? Shit, most of the starting plot hooks are "Holy shit where am I? How'd I get here?"
>>
>>54563311
fuck, i might have to RP or ride a horse or some shit, how fucking horrible.
>>
>>54563333

RP getting annihilated because you can't make dex saves anymore? Great! Ride a mount, because we all know 5e combat is so much more fun when one faggot is doing mounted combat bullshit? Even better!
>>
>>54563314
Fair point, thanks
>>
>>54563350
>? Great! Ride a mount, because we all know 5e combat is so much more fun when one faggot is doing mounted combat bullshit? Even better!
Can you point to me, anywhere, of a rule that says missing a leg is an automatic failure on dex saves? What do you do if someone in the group plays a dwarf? Kill them because they ask the group to slow down just a wee bit?
>>
>>54563230
>>54562941
The "unknown class" is a Berserker Goliath apparently
>>
>>54563371

Can you point out what the rules say about the penalty for a missing limb period? It's going to be on the DM, and common sense says whatever your dex saves were with two legs, it's going to be worse with one.
>>
File: 1482860939577.png (112KB, 446x460px) Image search: [Google]
1482860939577.png
112KB, 446x460px
Is there a way to duel wield the spell Flame blade? If you were to use the feats war caster and duel wield, shouldn't that pan out? Begging for the answer I want here.
>>
>>54563409
and yet, being grappled (speed 0) grants no penalty to dex saves.
>>
>>54563439

Being grappled isn't as bad as being crippled, who knew.
>>
>>54563409
There is a chapter in the DMG all about that shit. I don't really want to look up the page number, because this argument is kind of retarded as of fucking course it's reasonable roleplaying to retire someone who losing a leg or arm or whatever if that person has the means to make a living outside of going into dungeons. That's a perfectly reasonable time in character to take a hint that you've pushed your luck doing dangerous shit for a living, even more so if there's no way to regenerate shit
>>
Bards don't need an instument to use magic do they? They could just use their singing voice, yes?
>>
>>54563429
>You evoke a fiery blade in your free hand.
>Free hand
No
>>
>>54563467
Yes
>>
>>54563453
you understand that your whole argument is "I think missing a leg is unplayable because I would implement house rules to make it unplayable" right?
>>
So I'm thinking about having my players find the Book of Vile Darkness and having a quest to destroy it for the 1d10x100 years it says. Has the phrase to destroy it ever been canonly given? I want to give the players something good rather than just say "You utter the Abyssal/Infernal words to Celestial and the book explodes.".
>>
>>54563474
Neat.
>>
>>54563504
Just make some shit up
>>
>>54563471
OK then is it meant to be duel wielded with a normal weapon then? Wouldn't this imply iether hand or any hand that is free if you don't already have a spell being cast by it? I mean the verbatim is simply that you have to have a free hand to hold it, not that it must be a strong hand or off hand thing.
>>
>>54563481

It's house ruling either way since losing limbs only even happens under variant rules. If losing a limb carries with it no penalties then of course it doesn't fucking matter.
>>
>>54563615

The spell itself has somatic and material components, meaning it uses one hand to cast. The hand you aren't casting with is the free hand.
>>
Did they make Gnolls a playable race in 5th? I thought I heard something about it, but I'm not sure.
>>
>>54563409
Page 272 of the DMG

>Lose a Foot or Leg.
>Your speed on foot is halved,
and you must use a cane or crutch to move unless
you have a peg leg or other prosthesis. You fall
prone after using the Dash action. You have
disadvantage on Dexterity checks made to balance.
Magic such as the regenerate spell can restore the
lost appendage.

Doesn't seem to bad to me.
>>
>>54563706

>speed halved

that alone will get you killed at some point. If your DM ever pulls the "monster the party is obviously not strong enough to fight attacks" card, the party runs away and you die.
>>
>>54563698
Nope, 5e Gnolls are basically spawn of the abyss that embody chaotic evil
>>
>>54563730
And so you find a way around that. Be it taking Mobile for a speed boost, preparing Longstrider/Fly/Haste each day, buying a cheap horse or paying for someone to heal your leg.
>>
>>54563698

Actually, gnolls are emphatically NOT a playable race in 5e. Apparently the devs didn't care for them, and made them Always Chaotic Evil demonspawn that exist only to kill and be killed. Kind of weird, considering the big writeup they got in 4e, but whatever.
>>
>>54563680
Like I said originally, with the war caster feat, wouldn't this would be feasible because that negates somatics? Material components can still be used at that point too with that as well right? The only thing missing is the Duel Wield feat perks allowing for a second melee attack.
>>
>>54563730
yes, it would require your DM to not actively and purposefully target you for eradication. That is not shocking.
>>
>>54563768

Sorry friend, the spell specifies that you use a special action that it grants to attack with it, not the Attack action. There's no way to get more out of it. Lame, I know, but that's how it works.
>>
>>54563504
Klaatu Barada Nikto.
>>
File: westgame.png (2MB, 1425x705px) Image search: [Google]
westgame.png
2MB, 1425x705px
Ran the first session of my Wild West campaign that I've been planning for months. Went great.

Investigated a mysterious, unregistered train derailment. Chased after potential survivors. Fought some goblin highwaygobs and took their shit. Party Orc took their coyote as a pet. Bunch of Dwarven banditos held up the party after helping them fend off a giant radioactive displacerbeast (which killed the doctor the party was travelling with) and stole all their weapons. Had another part planned where the party could get some weapons to replace what was stolen, but the Paladin (who is something like 200 years old but spent most of that Petrified) has gone and challenged the bandito leader to a duel at dawn for all their shit.

It's a good feel when everyone enjoys something you've spent a lot of time on.
>>
>>54562674
iirc a half elf is the same age as an 18 year old human when they're 22-26.
>>
>>54563813

Good to hear that everyone's enjoying themselves, anon.

That is a lot of mustaches.
>>
>>54562948
+10 is a pretty massive bonus. combined with alert, it'd basically guarantee that you'd go first in almost any situation, even with a nat 1.
>>
>>54563800
Alright so then Flame blade and a basic weapon should work, so long as the main action is the flame blade and the bonus action is the other weapon
>>
>>54563764

Mobile will get you from 15 to 20 speed, having the right spells is only an option if you were already the right class before you got crippled, I already mentioned that mounted combat is cancer so rerolling would still be preferable, and also already mentioned that this is all meaningless in a high power campaign where you can be regenerated.

But also if you can't dash without falling prone, mobile and most of those speed increasing spells won't help much.

So let's look at my cleric for example.He was level 4 when he lost his leg, so he'd have to wait until 8 before taking mobile even becomes an option, and also despite being a full caster he actually couldn't learn any of the spells you mentioned. Finding someone to cast Regenerate could take weeks, so that left a mount as the only remaining option.
>>
>>54563863

No, that is incorrect, as to utilize two-weapon fighting, you must take the Attack action, which you are not if you are using Flame Blade. It also disables the Extra Attack feature. It's a bad spell and cannot be broken. Believe me, I tried.
>>
>>54563731
>>54563767
Well shit...
>>
>>54563731
That's not really a new thing. I'm pretty sure Forgotten Realms and Greyhawk gnolls were always like that
>>
>>54563793

Even if that doesn't happen, in a normal fight you don't have enough movement to reposition if you want to. You get 15 feet, and if you dash for 30 you fall prone.
>>
>>54563912
What are you taking if not an attack action with the melee attack of the flame blade, this isn't adding up
>>
>>54563980

As I said before, the spell specifies that you take a special action granted to you by the spell itself. Similar to Vampiric Touch, it allows you to use a special action to do what it does. These special actions are not the Attack action.
>>
>>54563980

Attack action is a specific thing that involves using a weapon to attack and has certain rules it follows that other actions don't.

The spell says "You can use your action to make a melee spell attack with the fiery blade. " Melee spell attacks are different from the Attack Action.
>>
>>54563942

Well, if you don't care for WotC's decision, you could always ask your DM about it. And who knows, maybe there'll be something about the Znir Pact in an Eberron book or something.
>>
>>54563809
DO NOT FUCK THIS UP
>>
>>54564208
But you said the words, right?
>>
File: AAARGH.png (97KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
AAARGH.png
97KB, 320x240px
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH HEY /5EG/ I'M MAD AS HELL

GIVE ME SUGGESTIONS FOR A KNEE-HIGH GOBLIN BARBARIAN WHOSE PRIMARY MOTIVATION IS BEING MAD AS HELL AT FUCKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE YOU'D BE TOO IF YOU WERE THAT SHORT AND UGLY
>>
>>54564358

I feel like you already have the concept, race, and class covered, champ. What else do you need?
>>
File: Goblin knife barbarian.jpg (15KB, 303x350px) Image search: [Google]
Goblin knife barbarian.jpg
15KB, 303x350px
>>54564358
Sounds like you got most of the work done, anon.
>>
File: angriest.jpg (265KB, 997x879px) Image search: [Google]
angriest.jpg
265KB, 997x879px
>>54564375
>>54564382

YEA I'M SORRY I SHOULD HAVE SPECIFIED, I WAS TOO DISTRACTED BY BROILING RAGE

EVERY BARBARIAN I'VE EVER BUILT HAS BEEN A BEEFY FUCKER WITH BEEFY FUCKING WEAPONS, TWO-HAND DICK SMASHERS AND THE LIKE

GOBLINS ARE PUNY FUCKERS SO I NEED MECHANICAL ADVICE ON HOW TO MAXIMIZE ANGER WHEN MY TINY GOBLIN HANDS ARE TOO SMALL TOO HOLD ALL BUT THE DAINTIEST WEAPONS

FOR THE RECORD, I LIKE TO SMASH MORE THAN I LIKE TO SLASH
>>
>>54564438
WIELD A HEAVY WEAPON ANYWAY AND CANCEL OUT THE DISADVANTAGE WITH RECKLESS ATTACKS
>>
File: 1332207831413.jpg (23KB, 569x428px) Image search: [Google]
1332207831413.jpg
23KB, 569x428px
Rolling for stats vs Point buy?
>>
>>54564438
mechanically your best bet is MCing rogue and dual wielding shortswords. thematically, i'd go for a maul and use reckless attack to compensate for the disadvantage. run around smashing people like jerry with a big-ass hammer.
>>
>>54564471
point buy is for optimizing muchkins and rolling for stats is for retards who like overpowered and underpowered characters
>>
>>54564471
roll or array

point buy is for smelly gamists
>>
>>54564471
Point buy every time because I don't trust dice.
>>
File: infinity mad.jpg (119KB, 497x732px) Image search: [Google]
infinity mad.jpg
119KB, 497x732px
>>54564463
>>54564474

FUCK YOU'RE RIGHT I DIDN'T EVEN THINK OF THAT, THAT WOULD TOTALLY CANCEL OUT THE DISADVANTAGE

MY RAGE IS BEING SLIGHTLY ALLEVIATED BY THE HUMOROUS MENTAL IMAGE OF A PUNY GOBLIN SWINGING AROUND A MAUL TWICE HIS OWN SIZE

ALTERNATE IDEA: TAKING THE DUAL WIELDER FEAT ASAP AND FLOPPING AROUND IN THE FRAY WITH TWO FLAILS. TWO FUCKING FLAILS SPINNING AROUND IN EACH HAND, WHIRLING AROUND LIKE GENERAL GREIVOUS'S WEIRD TURBINE ATTACK. FUCK I'VE NEVER SEEN AN ATTACK SO RECKLESS BEFORE IN MY LIFE WHAT A MADMAN
>>
>>54564521
array is shit
Use point buy if you're too much of a pussy to take the risk of rolling, otherwise roll
>>
>>54564471

Point Buy because it provides a fair baseline for players while still offering enough customization to create characters whose skills and traits are more richly reflected in their stats.
>>
Is it a bad idea to take a slightly gamist approach to worldbuilding?

As in
>Build a Pantheon suited to the playable classes. Include deities that fighters, Paladins, Druids, etc could pray to even if it has no bearing on their class (God of travel for general adventurers, a god of battle/protection for fighting types, etc)
>Make sure there is, at least 1-2 places that character backgrounds could have originated from (Outlander could be jungle or tundra, Soldier could have come from a mercenary group or an army, etc, etc)

The only downside that I can think of is that a player could ask for something that isn't covered, in which case you can make it right there, or that all of your material doesn't connect well enough with each other. Am I wrong?
>>
>>54564544
>Customization

15/15/15/8/8/8 average point buy before modifiers.
>>
>>54564577
>a player could ask for something that isn't covered, in which case you can make it right there
That's literally the best approach to world building
>>
>>54564577

No, that's totally good, so long as it's not super obvious or compartmentalized.

A good strategy I've had when worldbuilding is to have at least one baked-in part of the world that could be an easy and obvious origin for a character of each allowed class. Where could a ranger come from? Where could a fighter come from? Where would wizards study, or rogues lurk, etc.?

Obviously player imagination will more than likely transcend your original thoughts, but it's good to have at least some kind of expected accommodation.
>>
>>54564577
Your world is designed to facilitate a game, so there is no problem with designing it to suit a game.

That being said, you are also trying to build a world so you want things to exist for a reason, to make it live and breath. So build your gamist world, but also justify it and make it feel real.
>>
File: freddy shades.gif (721KB, 245x165px) Image search: [Google]
freddy shades.gif
721KB, 245x165px
>>54564604

i'm not a powergamer so more often than not i create more well-rounded, less optimized but more nuanced characters to reflect their past and skillset

one time I even dumped DEX
>>
>>54564471
Point-buy for first-timers to give them the feeling of having some customization while making sure everyone ends up even, and since they typically don't know enough to min/max it.
Rolling every other time for fun factor.
>>
Have my second session as a GM upcoming this week and I'm really anxious that all of the momentum and fun we had last week is going to grind to a halt.

Long story short, my players seemed somewhat engaged in the world of the story and really enjoyed combat. All in all, for a first GM session, I consider that a rousing fucking success.

My Q is: how do I avoid cocking it up? How do I keep the encounters fun when I can't control when and in what way the players will enter them? How do I build the campaign world out without swamping them in story or putting in irrelevant/confusing details?
>>
>>54564744
Think small.

Take where your players are and use it as a seed to sprout out and build the story around them.

Worldbuilding is best when you leave lots of blanks to adapt to the players.
>>
>>54564655
>dumping Dex

The madman.
>>
Copied from old bread

I see Tempest and War Clerics gain proficiencies in heavy armor and martial weapons, but are they decent contenders in melee combat or do they still rely mostly on spells?

If I run a Tempest/War Cleric am I better suited with a wep and shield, or a two hander?
>>
>>54564744
When it comes to world building, don't exposition dump your players. The general rule is to "show" not "tell." Don't tell them the baron is corrupt, have their first encounter with him be with shady figures in his room talking in hush tones. Don't tell your players that an ancient civilization used to worship a nature goddess, show them a shrine with dead and wilted plants around it, or perhaps with engravings of plants onto the stonework. Be creative, put little hints out for your players and reward them for delving deeper into it.
>>
>>54564885

Yes, they're pretty good. I don't have much experience with War but Tempest is great.

Shield and weapon is best, especially if you pick up the War Caster feat.
>>
>>54564885

Never played War but off the top of my head they get additional attacks, so probably a two-hander. Tempest clerics get an ability that lets them maximize spell damage and don't really get any melee attack buffs beyond what most clerics get so probably weapon and shield. The main thing you get out of being in melee as Tempest is the ability to strike back as a reaction, which doesn't scale with your weapon.
>>
>>54564885
They're not great in melee, but they're competent. If you can somehow snatch the SCAG weapon cantrips, you can be quite formidable. Two-hander is better if you plan on using spells in the middle of combat and heavy armor means you won't have to worry much about AC. Sword and board is pretty good too but it needs Warcaster to be used to it's full potential.

In general, clerics are okay in melee. They're not going to dish out much damage compared to a fighter or barbarian and they won't tank as well, but you get full fucking casting. A worthy trade-off in my opinion.
>>
>>54564471
Standard array

Also no feats, no multiclassing,no splats, no refluff, no V. Human and no unusual races. This is how you play this game
>>
>>54565008
Pure shit
>>
How many combinations are possible on point buy?
>>
>>54564358
>Small race barbarians
Barbarogue, always.
>>
>>54564506
>>54564521
Actually rolling for stats is for optimizing munchkins because it's easier to powergame it
>>
I'm having my party's Artificer do half damage instead of no damage on failed saves because honestly these things are worse than cantrips and every monster worth using them against has a high DEX save.

Any other immediate fixes to an Alchemist?
>>
>>54564655
I do the same, which often involves me putting points in Int/Wisdom regardless of how useful they are for my build.
Learnt my lesson after I didn't solve a puzzle in character because I figured my character wouldn't work it out with their shit Int/Wis and there were far better qualified allies around me.
3/5 of the party nearly goddamn drowned.
>>
>>54565008
your game sounds incredibly boring
>>
>>54564471
Rolling for stats is a possible option if you fulfill enough of these:
>New players for being quick and easy and fun when they're already confused
>Short campaigns so that you're not stuck with it forever
>High lethality so that you're not stuck with it forever
>Players want to roll stats because some people like their sacred cows
>DM intends to not actually have players roll very often so their stats don't get a lot of actual use

In all other cases just go point buy.
Point buy 30-32 is objectively the best.
>>
>>54565143
The fun things of my campaign are my friends, no need for crunch
>>
>>54565107
>3/5 of the party nearly goddamn drowned

Fuck, something like this nearly had this happen in my game, my character had the knowledge to tackle the puzzle but had a phobia of water so didn't help out. Thankfully the group had a good laugh OOC instead of getting pissy about muh roleplay muh character would react this way.
>>
File: tumblr_oc2y79Sg3Y1rdfyt1o1_1280.png (854KB, 1002x1435px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_oc2y79Sg3Y1rdfyt1o1_1280.png
854KB, 1002x1435px
>>54565008
What if I have fun playing a Half-Elf Variant Swashbuckler/Eldritch Knight?
>>
>>54565214

>Swashbuckler/Eldritch Knight
>Taking a 1/3 caster and diluting its casting even further

You just take it for the cantrips, I'm guessing?
>>
>>54564885
You get one attack, so you are a spellcaster.

Wep and shield vs two hander is entirely a decision between survivability and damage
>>
>>54564530

Furiously wield weapons made of the flesh of your enemies, preferably bone spears and shivs. When you're raging, and you kill someone, use an action to begin tearing their flesh apart for their bones like a rat to replace your weapons that break.
>>
>>54565258
War Magic. I can get the Cantrip by being a Half-Elf Variant.
>>
The rules say I should do one initiative roll for all monsters/groups of monsters in an encounter. Do I just use the best dex modifier of the monsters in a given group or what?
>>
>>54565281
No you ding dong.

It says to do it for identical monsters.

If you have 7 goblins, they have the same stats. Roll once, and then assign that value to all 7 goblins, not also to the hobgoblin.
>>
File: 1331859647775.png (10KB, 178x178px) Image search: [Google]
1331859647775.png
10KB, 178x178px
>>54565029
>>54565029
>>54565214
>Degenerates who can't have fun without their furry dragonkin

Fuck sometimes this place is basically reddit.
>>
Kind of general query for folk:

How do you feel about Plot putting PC's out of action? Whether this is forced ('X character has been afflicted by a curse / something that knocks them unconscious, you must lift it!'), or resulting from PC action ('a character has died! You must resurrect them!')?

Comes up because the curse scenario happened in my game; a Big Bad was defeated, one character was (supposedly arbitrarily) chosen to be cursed as a result, and was knocked unconscious with no saving throw. Next (session and a half?) was spent hauling PC to get curse removed, while they ... Super occasionally received a prophetic quasi dream message thing. Like, a few minutes was devoted to their experience, out of the 3/4 hour session.

It wasn't my PC, but it left a bad taste in my mouth to just arbitrarily remove a characters ability to actually be played. It did, however, get me thinking about how I read stories on here about how parties will go on multi-session long quests to resurrect a fallen party member. What the hell does the fallen dude do in the meantime? Just play someone who attaches to the group for that?

Is there right/wrong ways to do this?
>>
>>54565472
Talk with your players on how they feel about this. Some people are happy to have their character lose an arm or get bitten by a werewolf, others hate that and would leave the group if it happened. If it's something that takes away a player's control over their character, don't blindside them. It should be established in session 0 the stance on this kind of thing happening.

As for what to do in the mean time? Play a side character or make a new character that you understand will go their own way afterwards I guess? You could even bring that character back if your main ends up dead too.
>>
>>54565472
seems a bit arbitrary but it seems as if your DM has some good ideas, but maybe didn't implement them well. i'd talk to him about it, see if there's a chance to play a second character in the meanwhile.
>>
Any DMs here that created an entire setting?

did you start macro with a huge map or go area by area?
so far i'm going area by area but it feels sorta.. random
>>
File: 1459940144624.gif (2MB, 400x616px) Image search: [Google]
1459940144624.gif
2MB, 400x616px
>>54565472
Related to that idea.

I've got a player who's been missing from the past 3 sessions. Now what I've always done when a player isn't there is have them teleported to a pocket dimension to pop back in later with crazy stories of what they got up to.

At the end of the last session they fought an Aboleth. Now he has a disease that deals 1d12 damage every 10minutes he's out of the water.

Objectively its been about 3 days in game, and realistically he had no way of curing it so he's probably dead.

Do you think its fair to kill a PC off screen?
>>
Adamantine Chef is a humorous module for 3rd to 5th level characters. I would recommend it!
>>
Feywilds encounters that don't include murder?

Just social, or fun things?
>>
>>54565578
depends on what you call an "entire setting". i feel like whenever i start crafting a setting, it's always a work in progress.

whether to start big or small is up to you. i personally prefer working small than building up but some people have a better time working the other way around. regardless, try and focus on the conflict your players will be taking a part in. no reason to have intricate politics and intrigue if your players are 1000 miles away and barely affects them if at all.
>>
>>54562893

Things you can focus on:

> Ignoring loading property of ranged weapons
> Giving thrown weapons the ammunition property, so that they may be drawn and thrown as part of extra attack as well as the attack option
> Making interacting with a weapon a free action, so you can cycle through weapons easily.
> You gain +5 to Initiative (choosing whether or not this stacks with Alert), and during the first round of combat you have Advantage when attacking an enemy that has not acted yet.

Last one lets you emphasize the whole "Reacting quickly, and chopping down enemies while they are unprepared" versus Alerts "I am so fucking paranoi-WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT."
>>
>>54562335

I was in a game and one of the guys was literally going to be leaving the country permanently. He had a +1 short sword that our Druid/Barbarian wanted.

The character was going to be retired so the Ranger challenged the Druid/Barbarian to a duel just to be a dick.

There wasn't really a reason but they always tried to be the 'nature' guy and there was a rivalry going on. Druid guy on and ended up with the sword.
>>
>>54565578
I started with a world map that's mostly blank besides each landmass having one - two main cities/towns, a note or two on a major landmark (mountain, lake, nest of a dragon), one major NPC and two minors for each. Until I know what PCs I'll have and what backstory they have, I have less solid, set in stone work and more a set of lego pieces to build up parts of the world.

The largest islands have changed four times so far, and NPCs have been shifted from one spot to another. When I know who is playing, it'll probably change again, and change even more as the game is played.
>>
>>54565609

Minor Fey revelries, a chance for the bard to play with the band, dancing and drinking, a kiss from a cute faun girl, trading stories before everyone nods off, everyone awakes with a wineskein and a daisy crown?
>>
File: myfetish.jpg (16KB, 303x312px) Image search: [Google]
myfetish.jpg
16KB, 303x312px
>>54565688
>a kiss from a cute faun girl
>>
File: kensei.png (23KB, 325x297px) Image search: [Google]
kensei.png
23KB, 325x297px
Has anyone here played a Kensei monk with a whip? Proficient whip with a higher damage die sounds like it might be worth using.
>>
File: Give Life.png (305KB, 502x392px) Image search: [Google]
Give Life.png
305KB, 502x392px
Opening the gates again, this cantrip too strong or a good way to make a healing cantrip?
>>
>>54565565
Yeah. I think the DM has fallen into the general "my setting" fixation, where there's an overarching story line that we are specifically meant to fit into and trudge along, versus having narrative freedom. So we end up getting stuck in situations like "Oh, well, I guess they are cursed now!" which honestly dragged on longer than it was likely to be intended.

Kind of just curious in how other people have implemented / seen / felt about such things. I don't think it's likely to come up again any time soon, but I'm kind of mulling over the idea of DMing some games myself for the group in the next while, so kind of just trying to get a sense of things.
>>
>>54565785
>Magus
>Shaman
So you allow /two/ homebrew classes and are giving this to them?
>>
>>54565785
>healing cantrip
Kill yourself
>>
>>54565799
I allow the Magus. I know nothing about the Shaman.

Regardless this is a cantrip, it can be attained through the Magic Initiate feat and Clerics can pick it as well.
>>54565806
Do I take your response as it's too strong or?
>>
>>54565819
Magus is shit, but anyways, healing in 5e is a meme and isn't worth doing.
>>
>>54565785
I feel like it scales too well and is pretty easily exploited. If it used the same die as the targets hit dice and didn't add CON it might be balanced, but if i was a DM, I'd not allow it in my own game.
>>
>You throw a Net
>But Net's are Ranged not Throwing

y tho
>>
>>54565897
It uses your hit dice and does not add CON. You also only use 1 dice at a time.
In the hands of a cleric, you have to touch the creature, and they heal 1d8 HP. Best you could do is become a Barbarian and heal 1d12.
>>
File: net.jpg (10KB, 609x34px) Image search: [Google]
net.jpg
10KB, 609x34px
>>54565912
???
>>
/5eg/ I need help. I want these PDFs from dmsguild but I'm a poorfag
http://www.dmsguild.com/product/215595/Monsters-of-the-Orient-Complete-Bestiary
http://www.dmsguild.com/product/215866/Tome-of-Adventures
http://www.dmsguild.com/product/210151/Critter-Compendium
http://www.dmsguild.com/product/215639/Specialty-Priests-of-Faerun

I offer you something I scavenged from here before, also from dmsguild. Bunch o' ravenloft monsters
https://mega.nz/#!XU4Rgb4S!6N0rvBs3pSlftxx_-g5DkTAwWmtyWxSwfB9ppWJPSrk
>>
>>54566053
But you still need to use Dex instead of Str
>>
File: Because magic.jpg (78KB, 720x479px) Image search: [Google]
Because magic.jpg
78KB, 720x479px
>>54562461
>>
>>54564471
Point buy.
>>
>>54566080
Unless that's some Sage advice thing I'm not seeing that anywhere. If anything since it doesn't have the finesse quality I don't think you can use dex
>>
Hey so I need help for thinking of ideas. So in my game the Underdark basically had Out of the Abyss happen but no one really stepped up to to clear the demons out. So it's two hundred years later, the demon lords seem to be gone but there's an ungodly amount of less demons and undead runnning around. How would this affect the Drow, Duergar and other creatures that live down there?
>>
Running LMoP but a lot of the spell scrolls listed in the treasure hoards wouldn't be usable by my party. Am I better off swapping them for other spells of the same level or for new magic items entirely?
>>
>Favorite DM
>suddenly loses father to cancer
>starts doing things that turn the party/me off

>lets 2 other people join our 5 man group
>when we asked him why 2 others sat at the table he said they were just there to watch
>as the session goes lo and behold we encounter 2 wanderers that are there to accomplish the same goal as us
>GM starts stuttering, group gets through one encounter that session

>describe all my characters actions, speak very little OoC as a rule
>"I drop to my knees and start methodicially checking the pockets and such on the bodies"
>other player; "Yeah I do the same for the corpse at my feet"
>DM; Player 2 you get -lists loot for entire encounter-
>dm goes on to say that my character found nothing despite higher perception and actively digging first

The second one wouldnt be such a big deal if he wasn't playing a greedy dickass rogue, but in character he isn't one to share and our party is low on goldcuz story

Am I just nitpicking? Should I bring this shit up?
>>
>>54566322
Keep them I'd say. Is it the Divine or Arcane ones that are causing the problem? If it's Divine then I'd keep them and maybe let them sell those to the priest in town. If they're Arcane then maybe the Thay Necromancer offers to buy them?

Having loot the party can't use, but can still do something with adds a sense of realism to adventuring.
>>
>>54564091
>assuming WotC will ever release an actually interesting and good setting instead of just more shit for Realms That Really Should Be Forgotten, But Sadly Aren't.
>>
>>54566322
Keep for sure, the party can trade or sell them later. Makes for more things players can do. Your other option leaves one route.
>Find scrolls
>use them
As opposed to
>find scrolls
>shet we can't use these
>do we sell? Do we try to learn from them (multiclassing excuse possibility) We could donate them to X for Y favors (Identify item from towns arcane mage or some shit)

Either way, sometimes unusable loot is more fun
>>
>>54566280
I would think they would still have civilizations but shits would not be looking to well
Limited supplies because demonic corruption ruined a lot of the farm lands
Fear that roving hordes could ravish the few towns/cities left
Perhaps there would be demon hunting parties

Basically they'd be living in fear and be in a near impoverished state
>>
>>54566239
It's a Martial Ranged Weapon hence it uses Dex
>>
>>54566353
How long has it been going for ? If it's just one session try letting slide. DM could have been like that to try to get the new people hooked and feel included.

If it happens again, try talking to him.
>>
>>54564038
This sounds purposefully nerfed.. to the point that the only reason to cast the spell is at it's highest levels possible
>>
What would you think about multiclassing into the same class for a different archetype if it locks you into it for three levels minimum?
>>
>>54566960
No.
>>
>>54566960
Nope. It defeats the purpose of single classes also it starts to complicate things quickly.
>>
>>54566960
Too hard to balance. Classes like Ranger, Barbarian and Fighter have a lot to gain compared to what they lose.
>>
>>54563037
how the heck does he have 18 ac?
>>
>>54562170
The new Unearthed Arcana is next week, isn't it?
>>
>>54567190
I'm betting the week after. They rarely post UAs on the 1st.
>>
How much thought do you guys put into the magic items you give your players?
>>
File: Deep_gnome_5e.png (179KB, 400x514px) Image search: [Google]
Deep_gnome_5e.png
179KB, 400x514px
Why is the Drow subrace included in the PHB, but not Duergar or Deep Gnomes?

Can I blame it on Drizzt?
>>
File: Evolving Magic Items.pdf (3MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Evolving Magic Items.pdf
3MB, 1x1px
>>54567243
Narratively or balance wise? Or both?
In my game, I'm working on a detailed history for each one of these items. And I constantly find myself changing and rebalancing them after finding something overpowered or better suited for the player that will receive it.
>>
>>54567246
Don't get your panties in a twist, Deep Gnomes are in EE
>>
>>54567410
Both. I just realized I haven't paid much attention to the balance of magic items I've thrown into my adventure beyond making sure they weren't way too powerful. I mostly try to come up with varied powers and effects to encourage my group to think outside the box when using them, but I'm curious how much other DMs consider game mechanics and class/race/party composition interaction.
>>
>>54567427
I know. That isn't what I asked.
>>
>>54567246
Grape fever.
>>
File: Azathoth.jpg (91KB, 407x550px) Image search: [Google]
Azathoth.jpg
91KB, 407x550px
>>54567434
>Game mechanics class/race/party compositions
Tons on my end.

For example, I have two Bards in my party and they have found Loreweaver, due to all of the Bard bonuses added to it it would be great on either one of them, but due to one of the bards being a more AOE focused and supportive role it found its hands into the close ranged bard who took levels into Rouge for sneak attack and booming blade.

Another example would be The Azathoth Rapier, I originally had the Awoken form at a DC:10 as the player in control of the item right now, a Rogue has a Wisdom save of 0 and would have a harder chance if it was any higher, but to avoid others in the group taking advantage of the effective Devil's Sight + Darkness combo without fear, I upped the DC and gave it an extra spell for safe measure.
>>
http://www.dmsguild.com/product/186823/Character-Sheet--MPMBs-fullyautomated-Printer-Friendly-character-generator

does anyone have a copy of this character sheet?I keep trying to get it but it keeps saying "your order is empty" after completing checkout
>>
This might be slightly off topic but are there any good podcasts where people play the game? I've been watching Critical Role and enjoying it, but am looking for something new/fresh since these earlier episodes have a lot of loud annoying cringe stuff. I've never really played 5e so I'd prefer something that isn't just a number dump, but I want to be able to enjoy some group dynamics in a setting that seems interesting.

Thanks a bunch.
>>
>>54567613
see what chris perkins is up to, he wrote a lot of 5e material and is usually running a group through one campaign or another
>>
>>54567246
Drow were always more popular than Svirfneblin or Duergar, that's nothing new.

But yes, you can blame it on Drizzt. Or better yet, dragonborn, those things take more space than drow and shouldn't exist at all, even less as a core race.
>>
>>54567602
Here you go mate.
>>
>>54567704
thanks man. I also figured out that it works fine in chrome but not firefox for some reason
>>
>>54565075
This. Rolling for stats is for powergamers and munchkins. If they roll badly they always beg for a reroll.
>>
Planning to make a Halfling Fighter/Rogue to capture my favorite 2e character. I'm going to put most of my levels in Thief and probably only 3 in Fighter. I just don't know what type of Fighter I should be.

Knight looked cool for a Rogue, getting 3 basically free reaction Sneak Attacks per short rest seems really good.
>>
>>54567839
You may as well grab two more fighter levels for the extra attack.

Battlemaster is pretty amazing no matter what, Knight is good for the reason you said.

Champion will slightly improve your chance of getting crits, which is obviously good with sneak attack, but I wouldn't call it worth it compared to the far more consistent bonuses that battlemaster or knight would give you.

If your heart is set on only taking 3 levels, Eldrich Knight is also worth considering for access to Booming Blade, as well as a few nice wizard spells. (Minor Illusion, Shield, and Find Familiar all come to mind.) It becomes significantly less tempting if you decide to go 5 levels, since you can';t booming blade AND attack twice.
>>
File: 1422391393615.jpg (290KB, 1021x1210px) Image search: [Google]
1422391393615.jpg
290KB, 1021x1210px
>>54562335
The meta involved is important- if you all are at the table as reasonable adults who have certain expectations of the game that don't conflict with it, then sure.

More universally, I don't like PvP that spirals out of pure roleplay blocking, but that's mostly because flat out blocking is garbage to begin with.

I've seen it happen just because one bad roleplayer wanted to get everyone's attention by starting conflict to make their character seem more dark or powerful or something but they always just come off as a random unrealistic retard. It doesn't help that those same players often don't have the best grasp of the mechanics of those games and are almost always trounced. Trouncing such a rogue element is satisfying out of character to an extent, but really breaks the flow of the story.
>>
>>54563813
That tileset though
>>
>>54567880
Actually you make a good point about EK, plus the idea of playing a character who's sneaky as well as kinda fighty and magicy seems cool.

Though I guess Knight 5/Thief X does still sound cool. What's the best split to go for that? I was thinking about 3 in Rogue, 5 in Fighter and the rest in Rogue.
>>
so what kind of healing can you actually do with the medicine skill?

I want to patch my party up AFTER the battle
>>
>>54562335
Literally nothing wrong with some good old fisticuffs
>>
>>54562335
>>54568015
Sometimes players just wanna give a go at each other.
>>
File: 1501229366510.png (154KB, 250x382px) Image search: [Google]
1501229366510.png
154KB, 250x382px
>>54562335
PvP is awesome when everyone agrees to it and it enhances the roleplaying, but if someone's being a dick and you want to BTFO him just tell him to fuck off in real life don't waste your in-game time or effort on that.
>>
>>54562335
My party is half chaotic evil and half pure good. One character in particular starts fights a lot, though they're usually more casual than "to the death".

I had one player briefly play his own doppelganger, while another player (who was in on it) played the real character, to mess with the party. Then they all fought each other. That was pretty cool, especially when they worked it out.
>>
>>54562493
I run a sandbox so XP is easier to make sense of. But everyone starts at the same level at the start of every session, whichever is highest. It prevents anyone from falling behind for more than a session, and people who haven't been able to make it might be a level below for one session but no more than that.
>>
File: UA-SkillFeats.pdf (62KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
UA-SkillFeats.pdf
62KB, 1x1px
>>54568008
You can stabilize dying and identify illness. That's it, i believe. Unless you take a feat or something.
>>
>>54568008
If you have proficiency in Brewer's tools I would probably let you roll a medicine check to brew some healing potions or something, provided you had appropriate ingredients.
>>
>>54568008
You need to make a check and expend a healer's kit charge to heal more than 1 hit dice at short rest
>>
What is the difference between stealthing and the Hide action? Is there even a difference?
>>
>>54568346
I think there isn't difference. When you want use Hide action, you make Dexterity(Stealth) ability check.

Same as when you take Attack action, you make weapon attack roll (or something).
>>
>>54568346
There's not really a difference but when you're in combat you must use your action to Hide.
Out of combat you would just say "I want to sneak over there"
>>
>>54565206
I guess epic leveling like that isn't really a thing in 5e, but he was using rules from the DMG where, after reaching 20, getting another 30000 xp gets you a boon.
>>
>>54565107
Then just don't attach things to stats which are to begin with abstract, vague and mechanical?
>>
>>54568312
>Brewer's tools
>Magical potions
There's a herbalism kit for a reason.
>>
File: 1452775335438.jpg (484KB, 1500x810px) Image search: [Google]
1452775335438.jpg
484KB, 1500x810px
>>54568514
Fine, then change "Brewer's tools" to "equipment used to prepare/craft medicinal salves" and "magical potions" to "consumable mundane item with medicinal properties" and you have my general train of thought.
>>
Postan class rebalance one more time.
http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/HJwohUkOIW

>>54565845
2d6 is the same as 1d8+1d4, with flurry 3d6 is better than 1d8+2d4. At level 5 without flurry you'll be doing 1 less damage, and at level 1-2 you may do a bit less, but otherwise it is a buff. It's mostly to not make quarterstaff/spear the only viable monk weapons until level 9 or something.
>>
>>54568599
I mean forcing them to use 1d4 martial arts dice instead of 1d8 from spear of staff or whatever.

>Monk weapons always do your martial art die in damage.
>>
>>54568713
Yeah and with the higher martial arts die, that only results in lower damage at level 1-2 and 5. If that feels bad and dumb I can understand that and I'm not sold on it, but numbers-wise it's more a buff than a nerf. I may just up it a bit so it's something like this though: d6 from level 1, d8 from 3, d10 from 6, 2d6 from 11, 2d8 from 15.
>>
File: Marrowsnap.jpg (224KB, 1024x455px) Image search: [Google]
Marrowsnap.jpg
224KB, 1024x455px
>>54562764
>group just played through SKT
>mfw I'm that Ranger
>Two-turning giants with my hasted colossus slaying goblin cock from 120 feet away at level 5
>DM refused to give me any magical bows until just before we reached Maelstrom because I already shit out three times the damage of the rest of the party
God I loved playing UA Ranger.
>>
>>54568567
Other Anon here.

How strong would such "consumable mundane item with medicinal properties" should be?

Most sensible solution to me seems they would interact with your Hit Dices and healing done on Short rest. Herbal draugtht, recovering you more HDs on long rest? Pain relieving balm, allowing you to gain more HP from any rolled HD during short one? Seem most likely candidates for me. With prices around 1-10gp...?
>>
>>54568872
Yeah, I would probably make them only usable on short/long rests (herbal remedies don't work instantaneously, that's magic yo)

So something like:
>(Magic) Potion of cure poison - Instant effect and can be consumed during combat etc
>(Mundane) Draught of detoxification - Consume during a long rest. If your rest is uninterrupted (no random encounter etc) PC is cured of poison upon waking

Or something along those lines. The main thing is just keeping them useful enough that the person making them feels like they're helping, without overshadowing magic potions.
>>
File: PSYYYYYYYY.gif (112KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
PSYYYYYYYY.gif
112KB, 320x240px
>>54568852
>I cast Conjure Animals, preferably for some giant cobras
Oh yeah sure anon.
>His face after they fucking melt the bbeg in one round of combat
>mfw Conjure Animals is banned from the table next session
>>
>>54567704
Anyone have a sheet for spells with descriptions? Or there is no other way than the spell cards?
>>
>First time GM'ing an actual campaign and not one-shots.
>Decide on running a converted Curse of the Crimson Throne since I loved playing through it back in my PF days
>Party is Valor Bard, Polearm Fighter, Barb/Rogue, and War Cleric of Baal
Hoo boy. This is gonna be a fun ride.
>>
Is Mystic OP? I mean it's extremely versatile and it can fill a lot of roles with ease just by taking the right disciplines and psionic school.
Is Soul Knife actually worth it? Most of the damage a Mystic does is done with Brute Force and Psychic Weapon anyway, it gets a pair of sweet +4 weapons and the ability to basically autohit but i feel like the other specializations offer much more.
And what about multiclass options? Do you think the class should be done 1-20 or just 5-6 levels and then get fighter, rogue, monk or barbarian levels?
>>
File: 1501134595841.jpg (24KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1501134595841.jpg
24KB, 640x480px
I need ideas for a haunted mansion
So far I have
>Locked front doors that you wouldn't want to unlock because there's SKELETAL DEVIL HELL HOUNDS just waiting to get inside
>Overgrown greenhouse on roof inhabited by a SHAMBLING MOUND FORMERLY THE DUKE'S VERY OWN GARDENER
>animated armors of course
>portraits and paintings that seem like they follow the party with their eyes
>pitfalls and trapdoors hidden under rugs
>a graveyard and a mouseleum maouseliem or whatever
>bookshelf secret door hiding a spooky laboratory behind it
>>
>>54563125
It adds tension, and most settings have a way to ungimp you. Or something fucking sick happens like you lose an eye.
>>
>>54569138
>a pair of sweet +4 weapons and the ability to basically autohit
>other disciplines are even better
I think you answered your own question anon. IMO some of the things they get are OP, but other than those they are just way too broad while doing all the things they do very well. If you got fewer disciplines and it got a few well-placed nerfs I'd be ok with it I think, and honestly the subclasses should be a bit more focused because disciplines already allow for modularity so a heap of subclasses on top of that makes them equal to the diversity of several normal classes both in fluff and crunch.
>>
>>54562292
Dwjarmirmi's instant Summon

It's a 6th level ritual and costs you a 1000 GP however
>>
Give me some reasons for a cleric of Kelemvor to adventure in a sandbox. The only thing I can think of is wanderlust, which is pretty shit
>>
>>54569294
It stil gets a single attack+bonus attack for secondary weapon though, i don't think it gets a higher damage than a fighter, maybe the early levels but at least not in the mid levels
>>
File: rotgrub.gif (104KB, 600x261px) Image search: [Google]
rotgrub.gif
104KB, 600x261px
Fantasy Grounds or Roll20 for the lost mines?

Trying to finish it with my little brother, he's off in another state. I'm more than willing to shell out a bit of money to get a nice experience.
>>
>>54562461
negative reaction with your opponents biothaumic field (or "ki" as some eastern barbarians call it).
>>
File: 1501084619493.jpg (108KB, 300x449px) Image search: [Google]
1501084619493.jpg
108KB, 300x449px
How do we feel about adding revolvers to an otherwise mostly medieval fantasy setting
>>
>>54569357
>adding revolvers
For what reason.
>>
File: Capture.png (19KB, 576x87px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
19KB, 576x87px
Can a person under the effects of Dominate Person be made to think certain thoughts?

I'd like to interrogate a prisoner as a Mystic by using it and "using their action" to allow for me to use Mind Meld on them (As it requires a "willing" target).

Otherwise I'll be forced to take Psychic Inquisition and mindhammer them into submission.
>>
>>54569357

Literally all you have to do is reskin crossbows. Pistol? Hand crossbow. Rifle? Light crossbow. Big Gun? Heavy crossbow.

The second you add gunpowder or misfires or start tweaking damage and shit you create a clusterfuck that threatens to invalidate crossbows altogether.
>>
>>54569385
You can't capture goblin cattle rustlers and hang them at noon unless there's revolers and wide brimmed hats man.
>>
>>54569394

Willing is not changed by spells.
>>
>>54569403

Yeah, that's how we did it in the 4e game I was in.

Pistol: Hand Crossbow
Musket: Crossbow
Rifle: Superior Crossbow
>>
File: gunz.jpg (61KB, 1171x282px) Image search: [Google]
gunz.jpg
61KB, 1171x282px
>>54569403
I'd rather use these in the DMG and just make ammunition exceedingly rare (this is because gun manufacturing is an ancient gnomish art or whatever)
Basically you'd have 6 really powerful shots but that's it unless you find another gun deep in a dungeon or kill a man for his (which makes you an outlaws and outlaws hang son)
>>
>>54569410
I guess I could do it via Occluded Mind.

In either case I'll be able to do it with Mystic Charm next level, since no matter how you interpret it it would work.

>Friendly Acquaintance- Hey, I'd like to share a memory with you. Is this okay?
>Brain Rape mind control (Which I think is what Mystic Charm is meant to be, as it targets CHA)- REMEMBER [X MOMENT] AND GIVE IT TO ME
>>
>>54569357
I find it OK, better if you add a western region.
>>
>>54569422

'Really powerful' doesn't quite line up with '1d8 more damage'. It's not bad but I wouldn't really oversell it.
>>
>>54569442
Yeah it's not really about being powerful it's really about being a badass cowboy in platemail really.
>>
>>54569032
Bad GM, can't balance encounters and bans shit rather than just tuning difficulty
>>
>>54569306
I have similar problem with most of my characters, so i feel you.

If the setting is infested with undead, he may be on quest to purge them. You know how rangers guard fringe areas of the realm against threats from wilderness? You do the same, only with unnatural enemies.

Maybe you're traveling monk: Have no home, but travel through farm lands, performing rites for poor people there in exchange for food and roof over your head. Maybe mendicant-monk. Missionary.

Recovering sacred relic of your order is classical trope, but require some cooperation on the DM's side - but that shouldn't be a problem, since he's running sandbox campaign.

Maybe some absolutely mundane reason:
You want to make money adventuring, for marriage/your sanctuary/to satisfy your greed/...
Your mentor/teacher/parents died and now you're looking for a your place in world.
You are old, you feel the end is near - but you will not die in bed. No, sir. Better honorable death on battlefield, than that.
>>
How do I make fighting spiders more interesting than just throwing a mix of Giant Spiders and Giant Wolf Spiders at the party
>>
>>54569516
PHASE SPIDERS NIGGA
>>
>>54569306
>>54569454
after a faux pas with a visiting high priest or something your local temple has decided you are the perfect candidate for some shitty assignment over there somewhere.
>go convert this army of goblins
>we lost something in that region centuries ago, maybe you should find it
>>
>>54569516
I made a spider warm that dispersed and did damage in a big ape, along with some big ones that only purpose we webbing up and dragging off people.
>>
File: 1488315555448.png (206KB, 800x542px) Image search: [Google]
1488315555448.png
206KB, 800x542px
>>54569542
>I made a spider warm that dispersed and did damage in a big ape
>>
>>54569426
Dream is about the same level as DOMINATE PERSON
>>
>>54569542
>I made a spider warm that dispersed and did damage in a big ape
What.
>>
>>54569516
DRIDERS
>>
>>54569516
Fate Spiders
>Giant spiders with the lucky and portent ability
World Wide Web Spiders
>Sindicate of Driders who communicate through hive mind
Anansi Spiders
>Spiders with class levels in Trickery Cleric
>>
>>54566834
ended up asking him, he said he felt bad because they were complete newbies to tabletop and could not find a group and he didn't want to turn them down.
>>
With the Haunted One background, do you think the spookiness should be entirely mental, or a mix of both mental and physical?

>You are haunted by something so terrible that you dare not speak of it. You’ve tried to bury it and flee from it to no avail. This thing that haunts you can’t be slain with a sword or banished with a spell. It might come to you as a shadow on the wall, a bloodcurdling nightmare, a memory that refuses to die, or a demonic whisper in the dark. The burden has taken its toll, isolating you from others and making you question your sanity. You must find a way to overcome it before it destroys you.
>>
>>54569610
>tring to make fight more interesting by introducing spidergirls
That's just gonna get awkward.
>>
>>54564358

I actually have a question about small barbarians. Doesn't picking a class with no STR bonus make it a lot harder to do damage?
>>
>>54569637
Werespider
>Immune to piercing slashing and bludgeoning from non silvered weapons, vulnerable to memories of their dying uncle ben
>Reverse Werespider
Spiders who were bitten by werespiders and so now they turn into humans in the full moon
>>
>>54569151
False doors,
doors that logicially should not open up to where they doo
Baby doll sitting on a chair in a room with nothing else in it
book bats
A pristine childs room that feels out of place from an old cobwebby mansion.
creepy furnace in the basement that is sentient and wants to eat
>>
>>54569637
>World Wide Web Spiders
WWE Spiders
>spiders with levels in monk who use grapples instead of web and wear masks
>>
>>54569674
Ability bonuses aren't that important in 5e,but even the importance that they do have, plenty of small races offer bonuses to Con, which to a barbarian is almost if not just as important
>>
>>54569516
Research some of the weirder IRL spiders. Ones who lie in wait under a smaller rocks and pop out to grab their prey. One who instead of making big webs, make ones small enough to wrap up their prey and snatch them up.
>>
>>54569637
>>54569704
>>54569722
I need some real answers haha very funny guys
>>
>>54569848
...What DO you want from us then? We gave you ideas, you said NAH THIS ISNT WHAT I WANT. Provide us with specifics or fuck off.
>>
File: 1501247000076.png (7KB, 396x385px) Image search: [Google]
1501247000076.png
7KB, 396x385px
>>54569932
I- I'm so sorry...
>>
Am I in the wrong?

>DM for 3 people
>A guy wants to join
> We are mid dungeon
> I agree, I made so he was discovered trapped in the webs of a creature they killed las session (basically last session it ended by them killing these creatures)
> all of the 3 players are hurt, one is at 1 hp, others at half, most of their resources used
> I tell the new player to roll a d100 to see how much HP % he has left so he is not fully fresh unlike the rest of the party
> he gets mad and calls it GM fiat

I just don't think its fair that he is completely rested while the rest is low on resources especially when he was added in the middle of a dungeon
>>
>>54570086

I don't think you're wrong, but your method seems a bit clunky. Just slap him with 3-5 levels of exhaustion and call it done.
>>
So how does wish work when it is granted by other things? specifically the stress when wishing for something that isn't defined in the spell description. If you've got 3 wishes, do you have a 33% chance of losing your remaining wishes?
>>
>>54570129
Isn't that worse?
>>
>>54570153

Possibly, possibly not. But it is less clunky than rolling for percentage of HP missing.
>>
>>54570140
Depends? I mean, in the luck Blade case those Wishes are Wish charges, so no, but in the case you've got an arch mage with his nipples clamped to electrodes in the basement, then probably, yeah
>>
>>54569848
Hey, I was actually proud of some of those ideas.
>>
>>54570177
I'm thinking genie wishes, so somewhere in between I guess.
>>
>>54570086
I don't think so. Frankly, i would be more bothered by missing equipment, if i were him.

>>54569848
Our DM used spiders:
Spiting poison.
Attacking us from ceiling/walls
Spiders shooting webs and pulling us to them/disabling us.
Hidden spiders, that sprang out when someone came near their hiding spot.

It was pretty cool.
>>
>>54570212
Genie wishes have the limitations of not being grantable to the same creature more than a set number of times, ever, and that they have to be filtered past not only the DM's Fiat, but also the Djin's
>>
>>54570153
I'd slap him with one or two and the poisoned condition
>>
>>54570273
He doesnt have missing equipment. I gave him starting + 400 gp
>>
Because the dumbass who made the new thread can't be bothered to link it himself:

>>54570347
>>54570347
>>54570347
>>54570347

New thread
>>
>>54567200
>>54567190
The 1st is Tuesday. It would probably go up on the 7th.
>>
>>54569294
They don't feel any more diverse than clerics. They are still a bit sloppy in places, of course.
Thread posts: 331
Thread images: 41

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.