[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 341
Thread images: 45

>Unearthed Arcana: Greyhawk Initiative:
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UAGreyhawkInitiative.pdf

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Alternate Trove:
https://dnd.rem.uz/5e%20D%26D%20Books/

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previously, on /5eg/:
>>54515882

What's your favorite magic weapon/item that your character has owned? How did you acquire it?
>>
>>54527009
Wu Jen are Chinese and quasi-Taoists. The Taoist elemental scheme features sacks Wind/Air in exchange for Wood and Metal. Animate Weapon and Warp Armor are there to demonstrate your mastery over metal.

>but why do they have a wind discipline if it's not one of their elements
Because D&D is dumb and you can't NOT have lightning on your wizards.
>>
Hey /5eg/, how do you handle / curb skill roll spam (i.e.: Everyone just suddenly throws a dice at every single possible skill check - most notably in the case of things like knowledge skills)?
>>
>>54527077
pick someone/highest skill party member always rolls for all of team.
>>
>>54527068
Wind and Lightning/Thunder are part of Wood, as far as the Tao Wu Xing goes.
>>
>>54527077
Treat is as a help action (as the characters trying to pool out their knowledge) and only the guy with highest mod get to roll with advantage.
>>
>>54527000
Blackrazor.

>we should go find Wave and Whelm
>don't you hate them?
>they're tedious and boring
>so you don't want to find them?
>no, I do

Such a tsundere.
>>
>>54527064
>>54526989
A 6th Level Necromancy Wizard can cast Animate Dead 3 times, so he/she can animate 6 undead or maintain control of 12 undead.

A Wu Jen Necromancer can cast animate dead 6 times. That means he/she can animate 6 undead as well, but he can maintain control of 24 undead.

If you want to build up your skeleton/zombie snowball, Mystics are much more efficient with it at mid-levels.
>>
>>54527106

That seems odd, but I don't really know that much about it to begin with.
>>
>>54527146
Yeah, but if you're a Wu Jen necromancer, all of your undead have to hop as their primary means of movement.
>>
>>54527077
For lores I would just listen for the highest number and just do the whole "Those of you that got an X or higher" bit. For the ones where it's possible I'd just say use the help action of the person most qualified
>>
File: Evolving Magic Items.pdf (2MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Evolving Magic Items.pdf
2MB, 1x1px
>>54527000
A few of my players have a few of my homebrewed items and they really like them.

Personally, my favorite item that I have owned was a Rapier of Wounding attained by purchasing it for a one off... Sneak attack damage that can't be healed feels pretty good.
>>
>>54527226
This is true, but If you take mantle of command/strategic mind, it only takes a bonus action for them to all hop at incredible hihg speed.
>24 zombies hopping at you at 40ft/rd with a d4 bonus to attack rolls
>>
If a hag made a deal with a PC for some of his innocence, how could that work mechanically? Or what consequences could this have later on? Some kind of flaw?
>>
For those of you that use grids and minis: Is there a miniature that you use for a cleric's spiritual weapon?
>>
>>54527279
>If a hag made a deal with a PC for some of his innocence
Hags rarely deal in something so vaguely metaphorical, unless by innocence you mean he had to fade to black with her for a night.

If it's purely metaphorical, the hag might at certain times try to compel the PC to do something clearly outside of his moral code with a wisdom save or something, or incentivize it by offering a significant bonus to rolls to attempt whatever the hag suggests.
>>
>>54527279
I would slowly change the PCs alignment and force him (with a wisdom save) to do evil shit/not to do good deeds.
>>
>>54527279
>>54527311
Yeah, I'd work on making it take the form of something more tangible like losing all memories of childhood or fucking the hag or something.
>>
>>54527311
>>54527344
>Hags rarely deal in something so vaguely metaphorical
So what they could trade instead? The PC here is a very young elf druid, and the hags will give him info on the location of a legendary druid staff.
>>
>>54527423
You could actually have the elf bone the hag.
But it's hard for us to tell you since we don't know the hag's goals, interests and grudges.
A promise to do something at a certain time relevant to the Hag's interests (usually backed by a geas) or their services in a personal quest of hers are generally the most common favors requested.
>>
>>54527305
We use a candelabra for lack of anything else appropriate.
>>
>>54527423
I mean they obviously aren't all night hags, but trading your soul or a future favor that you can't refuse is always a classic. Generally if it isn't an extremely sketchy deal it isn't much of a hag
>>
>>54527423
make him plantgrow some invasive as fuck plant species for her spell materials or something
>>
>>54527000
One of the most interesting ones I've come across is one in a current campaign I'm part of: it's essentially an identity disc from TRON, but only in terms of its throwability. It functions like a boomerang in combat (1d8 bludgeoning w/ max range of 100(I think)ft. and automatically returns to the user) and can be used to lift a maximum of (50*lvl) lbs. That last part is the interesting one; the user can move however they like in all three dimensions, so that opens up a lot of possibilities for using it as, essentially, a hoverboard (once I can figure out some rigging for it).
>>
>>54527449
>>54527423
obviously if he bones the hag something bad will come of this.

A child that resembles the PC the hag can hold hostage magically grown in short order; a homunculus who follows the Hag's orders (unbeknownst or otherwise to the PCs); a clone that the Hag uses to frame the PCs, the possibilities are pretty open if you press the Elf into the bone zone.
>>
>>54527423
I remember reading a few threads ago that someone suggested the service for a hag be something seemingly incredibly innocuous, like opening a window in a certain house at X time. This then results in a child being kidnapped. You could go with a concept like that, the simpler and more innocent it sounds the better because your players will go bugnuts insane trying to figure out what the downside even IS let alone if it's worth it.
>>
>>54527449
>A promise to do something at a certain time relevant to the Hag's interests (usually backed by a geas)
I think I might do this.
>>54527475
They green hags, and yeah I'm having trouble figuring out a sufficiently sketchy deal.
>>54527569
Oh damn these are some great ideas. I mean I doubt I'll be able to convince to go through with this, but this really has a lot of potential. Maybe they could instead ask him to bone this other beautiful female (human? fey? whatever) who's actually one of the hags in disguise. Or to do it with a prisoner of the coven, who's obviously unwilling.
>>
File: imagination.gif (216KB, 250x173px) Image search: [Google]
imagination.gif
216KB, 250x173px
>Everyone randomly picks a class
>Roll a wizard illusionist

Oh no, I have the on-the-spot imagination of a piece of toast
>>
>>54527662
Giant dicks catch everything off guard and solve most problems.
>>
Rolling a Tempest Domain Cleric in an upcoming game. Is this breed of cleric only a support, or can I be an offhand blaster/tank by rocking a shield and prepping some damage spells?
>>
>>54527725
>is X cleric only a suport?
The answer is always no.
>>
>>54527725

it gets a class feature that lets it maximize lightning damage rolls.What do you think?
>>
>>54527725
>Tempest Cleric
>can deal reaction damage to enemies who attack you
>Channel Divinity is max damage on a spell
>is it only support?
Gee anon.
>>
>>54527725
You're basically just a mortal version of Thor you fuckin dingus, of course it's not only support. Hell, not even a life cleric is pure support.
>>
>>54527662
It's fine
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?477658-Illusionist-Tricks
>>
>>54527077

Passive *everything.* Never roll anything unless it's a dramatic enough moment to justify pausing the game.
>>
>>54527725
Did you even read the class?
>>
File: 5egdiscord.png (49KB, 615x444px) Image search: [Google]
5egdiscord.png
49KB, 615x444px
>>54527000
over half of the 5eg discorders have tasted semen
what about your player characters
are fighters more likely to self indulge than wizards
>>
What are the most amount of summons or followers you can have at once?
>>
What's the most Halloweeny pc I can make? I've been thinking about it for a while and hobgoblin necromancer and fiendish/undying warlock all seem like strong contenders.
>>
>>54528199
There is no written upper limit for followers, but there is a practical point at which your DM will get pissed at you for either making him roleplay your squad of followers or for you micromanaging them every round of combat.
>>
>>54528228
What about a doppelganger wizard illusionist? Have them be in a bogey man form most of the time and have illusory versions of them self just walk near them at all time.
>>
Necromancy Wizard, Death Cleric, or Wu-Jen Mystic for making a Necromancer?
>>
>>54528427
Lore Bard with Aura of Vitality and Animate Dead
>>
File: Trogdor-the-Burninator.jpg (30KB, 370x370px) Image search: [Google]
Trogdor-the-Burninator.jpg
30KB, 370x370px
Any advice on a spell list for dragons? I'm trying to figure out the ancient blue dragon that's guarding a long dead wizard's tower- mostly from other dragons. I want him to act more as a deterrent than a primary enemy, he's been around so long he really doesn't give a shit so long as another dragons doesnt come into his territory (very important because the party befriended an adult bronze). Spells must be 8th level or lower, and he can only get 5 of them
>>
File: get_a_load_of_this_guy.jpg (35KB, 600x657px) Image search: [Google]
get_a_load_of_this_guy.jpg
35KB, 600x657px
>>54528441
>aura of vitality
>animate dead
Positive energy hurts undead you dumb fuck.
>>
>>54527279
The best way to do this would for it to have no obvious effect.

However, they find later that they know a bit too much about certain things they really wouldn't want to. Demonic stuff. Likely have them more likely to get in trouble with unholy things.

People may put more responsibility on them than they can handle, especially if they're not quite an adult.

Most importantly, some NPC at some point such as a priest will, upon examining the character, give them a very sour look, mentioning how an important part of their humanity is missing and saying they'd rather not deal with them.

Go for very subtle, omnious things. Nothing stupid like 'I'm gonna make you chaotic evil!'
>>
>>54528460
In the off chance that this isn't bait, let me explain. There is no positive energy in 5e. There's radiant and necrotic damage, but that's irrelevant. Most healing spells specifically say that they can't be used to heal undead creatures, but not Aura of Vitality. That's why it's a good grab for a necromancer bard.

>obligatory readniggaread.jpeg
>>
>>54528545
>Most healing spells specifically say that they can't be used to heal undead creatures
Well no shit. Positive energy damages undead. If you use a cure spell on undead, it damages them. Please tell me they didn't remove that too? Fucking cucks, I hate the D&D 5e devs.
>>
>>54528663
Why the fuck are you in /5eg/?
>>
Yo what are the best tool proficiencies for fabricate? Rules are very light on it so I'm basing this on my own logic
>Alchemist supplies
alchemist fire/acid maybe? limited
>brewers supplies
turn that field of wheat/grapes into alcohol, just be sure to have bottles
>calligrapher's supplies
copy a book if you have enough ink?
>carpenter's tools
easy furniture
>cartographer's tools
possibly the least useful
>cobbler's tools
easy shoes? also really specific
>cook's utensils
that cow is now delicious steaks
>glassblower's tools
turn sand into whatever glass you need
>Jeweler's tools
arguably the best for profit but day-to-day adventure stuff it's limited in scope
>leatherworker's tools
armor, pouches, etc. limited
>Mason's tools
make a very small shack if you have rocks but couldn't you do this normally? You can make a bridge.
>painter's supplies
mass-produce portraits of a rich noble
>potter's tools
you need clay so this is prohibitive
>smith's
if you have downtime and/or iron this is probably very good
>Tinker's tools
vaguer than the alchemist supplies. what does it do? Iunno
>Weaver's tools
always have a new outfit if you can get the silk, versatile but with limited function
>woodcarver's tools
you can get that statue of yourself carved in an instant
thought?
>>
>>54528783
looks good; toss some herbalist's tools in there and I think you've got things covered.
>>
File: ShameReloading.gif (962KB, 245x213px) Image search: [Google]
ShameReloading.gif
962KB, 245x213px
>>54528427
Necromancy wizard as you get arcane recovery for more spell slots (The more the better) and you can gather skeletons faster (though your skeleton limit is the same) and they get buffs.

>>54528663
>>
Reason for many incarnations (clones of sorts, different ages) of an evil wizard in red robes to be causing all sorts of trouble in the land?
>>
>>54528882

He's a wizard with a lot of magical power and no oversight. That's all the reason he needs.
>>
>>54528882
No sense of right or wrong.
>>
>>54528882
Wizard is looking for PlotDeviceMagicItem! so that he can make more clones using it's power and NOTHING is going to stop him!
>>
>>54528783
Tinker's options are basically under Rock Gnome entry, and then expanded in UA Feats for Races.
>>
>>54529073
>Tinker's options

Toolkits have tools. They do not have options.
>>
File: Hath-Set.png (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Hath-Set.png
3MB, 1920x1080px
>>54528882
Girl turned him down 2k years ago and fucked Chad.
>>
Rolling a 3rd lvl Monk for an upcoming game. DM says we can start with an Uncommon Magical item each.

Any recommendations?
>>
>>54529171
Cloak of Protection would be my go-to in a combat oriented game, but here's some fun options:

Helm of Telepathy
Immovable Rod
Deck of Illusions
Cloak of Elvenkind
Lantern of Revealing
Pipes of Haunting
Ring of Water Walking
Luckstone
Wind Fan
Winged Boots
>>
>>54527101
>>54527110
>>54527227
>>54527907

Thanks. Having a bit of an issue in my game where its devolved heavily into rollplaying versus anything else, and the more skill/lore/whatever focused characters are feeling a bit redundant due to the sheer amount of dice that get tossed at anything they 'should know'. Its ended up being that the well learned casters don't know shit, while the murderhobo 8 INT monk who literally just walked out of the woods (I don't think he has a backstory outside of 'Outlander') has had a ton of obscure ancient lore knowledge, apparently.

Been trying to work with the DM and want to present some more options to him / the group. So far he's been resistant to curb it because 'that would limit the amount of information the DM can give about the world' if checks weren't more or less guaranteed to be succeeded by every damned player rolling, and he's so far been fixed on having flat static DC's. For some reason blanked on the Help option. Obviously I'm fucking daft.
>>
>>54529171
Gauntlets of Ogre Power.
>>
File: 1500502769041.png (2MB, 1600x1084px) Image search: [Google]
1500502769041.png
2MB, 1600x1084px
What's the difference between Druids and Nature Clerics? Wouldn't it have made more sense for there to be no Nature Clerics and instead only Druids?

Also can someone give me a fun idea for a Nature Cleric because I love them mechanically.
>>
>>54527279
I would be tempted to make it so they have to deal with disturbed dreams, nightmares, 'seen too much' kind of stuff. This sounds like it should be treated more as a roleplay thing ("your character now has PTSD, basically"), but either fuck with their resting to some extent (ex: they cannot take other actions while doing a short/long rest), or some sort of general weariness.

Or as >>54527344 said and find that they lose their memories of good and happy (and simple) times. Hell, depending on what the deal is, maybe that's part of what fuels it - like if any sort of active boon from her, relying on it or making use of it means he further loses the recollection of who he was.
>>
>>54528228
Bugbear are VERY Halloween themed. The idea of this giant monster that can appear out of nowhere and sneak around is generally a classic spook.

I'd probably make a Bugbear Assassin. Maybe even multiclass Shadow Monk 6 levels for the Teleporting.
>>
>>54529171
If punch Monk, from Hoard of the Dragon Queen

I n s i g n i a o f C l a w s

Wondrous item, uncommon

The jewels in this insignia of the Cult of the Dragon flare with purple light when you enter combat, empowering your natural fists or natural weapons.

While wearing the insignia, you gain a +1 bonus to the attack rolls and the damage rolls you make with unarmed strikes and natural weapons. Such attacks are considered to be magical.
>>
>>54527077
Let highest skill / most likely to succeed (closest to hidden door gets perception check, but so does 20 wis observant perception expertise memerogue does too or he'll explode) anyone else can take the help action to give adv
>>
>>54529357
Bugbearmont
>>
Stupid question inbound: How would one go about creating a monster/foe that could mirror its counterpart ala Shadow Link in Oot? Would it copy its counterpart's statistics and then have one Reaction based action that, "Mimics," exactly what they do as long as they can see them through a mirrored/reflective surface?

I feel like I should scrap the idea, but I feel the party would really enjoy an encounter similar to that.
>>
>>54528783
Take glassblowers and brewers tools
Fabricate a bunch of sand and some wheat/grapes/etc into bottled wine.
>>
Are there more mechanics or materials favoring extensive wand use or thrown weapons?

Secondly, is the Spear master feat any good?
>>
>>54528882
Chaika, the coffin princess reason? So, to gather some old wizards remains.
>>
>>54528228
bugbear multiclass rogue/shadow monk.
>>
File: d4syqbv.png (112KB, 229x300px) Image search: [Google]
d4syqbv.png
112KB, 229x300px
>>54529297

Maybe druids are more shamanistic? Them drawing upon a nebulous "spirit world" for power over nature seems like a reasonable difference from standard D&D theism.
>>
>>54529297
Nature Cleric is the greenpeace protestor that wants you to sign his petition, Druid is the PETA terrorist that blows up a farm.
>>
>>54529421
I think there's a magic mirror that does that. Could look it up.
>>
>>54529297
Nature Clerics come from civilized peoples.
Druids come from barbaric peoples.
>>
>>54529421
>>54529576
Mirror of Opposition. There's also the Aleax
>>
File: 1486689073165.png (366KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
1486689073165.png
366KB, 512x512px
>>54527000
So far the highest ac I can make without magical items is 29.
>Plate - 18
>Shield - 2
>Defense - 1
>Warforged - 1
>Haste/Shield of Faith - 2
>Shield Spell - 5
Anyone able to do better?
>>
>>54529713
Thank you, anons. I will do research on all of that tomorrow. You have a good night.
>>
>>54527077
The GM calls for rolls, not the players. It is perfectly acceptable to point at the player whose PC has the highest mod (or the only one with proficiency, or whatever) and say "you're the expert, if you don't know it, nobody else does either. If anyone else wants to help, you'll give him advantage".
>>
>>54529799
Use barbarian's unarmoured defence instead for 20, get the mariner fighting style from UA instead of defense.

Haste and shield of faith can stack if you have a teammate to help for +4.

Can't remember but forge cleric might be able to give +1 armour at level 1 to the shield. Otherwise, they give another +1 AC at level 6.

Someone can cast warding bond on you for +1 AC.

Defensive duellist can give up to +6 AC.
>>
File: u5gf1u6swubz[1].jpg (297KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
u5gf1u6swubz[1].jpg
297KB, 1280x960px
Anons I played SJW D&D last week.
I have a coworker who looks a lot like the blue haired one on the right. Turned out we both played Dungeons and Dragons so I went to one of their meetups and walked into pretty much this picture exactly, except half of them were skinny numales. The heaviest guy seemed to weigh less than the lightest girl.

They asked if I had any triggers or hard boundaries when it comes to roleplay. I wasn't there to be an asshole so I just said no. They went on to give me a few forbidden topics; no rape/sexual assault, no sexism or racism (even against fictional races), no fat/slut shaming. One of the girls had an "abandonment trigger" so we weren't allowed to leave her character alone.

We gave character descriptions and every one who was straight IRL, their character was gay or bi. Some of them showed artwork of their gay looking characters wearing rainbow clothes, and one of them had their artwork commissioned by what appeared to be a furry porn artist. I gave my character description and they asked what his pronouns were.

So we get to the actual story and it's something about a local lord who has been cruel to his subjects, taking all their money and giving nothing in return. DM walks us from house to house listening to sob stories about single mothers and gay dwarf-elf couples who can't afford to feed their children or see doctors. The players seemed genuinely upset and one of the girls got watery eyes listening to a story.

We went to the lord and argued the merits of socialism and single payer healthcare. For the lord, the DM gave us a straw man caricature of a greedy dictator, so the group just killed him and installed a transexual halfling in a wheelchair as the new leader of the town (she was a seamstress before). I asked one of the players afterward and he confirmed literally every session is either freeing slaves or killing greedy politicians. All in all it was pretty boring; it seemed more like a group therapy session than an RPG.
>>
>>54529878
>the bandit is about to attack you and you don't have a weapon, what you do?
>I roll investigation to see if I find a weapon in the room
>you can't, only I can say when you roll for stuff, the bandit roll for an attack
>>
File: 1497673427815.jpg (33KB, 720x447px) Image search: [Google]
1497673427815.jpg
33KB, 720x447px
>>54530084

Jesus Christ, how horrifying
>>
>>54529799
>Unarmored Defense with Wis/Con and Dex 20: 20
>Mariner Fighting Style: +1
>Bladesong with Int 20: +5
>Shield spell: +5
>Haste/Shield of Faith: either +2 or +4, depending if you count getting help from teammates, as they compete for concentration
>Warding Bond from a teammate: +1
>Defensive Duelist feat for up to +6. Competes with Shield for reaction, and it's only against single attack

>Warforged doesn't qualify for Bladesinger, but if you allow it, it's +1. Same with beasthide Shifter

>33 solo
>36 with help from teammates
>37 against single attack
>38 against single attack if warforged or shifters qualify for Bladesinger. Doesn't work by RAW

To pull that off, you'd have to be Monk (or Barb) 1/(bladesinger) Wizard 5/Fighter 1 with 20 Int, Dex and Wis, Defensive Duelist feat and a cleric/paladin companion who buffs you with Warding Bond and Shield of Faith
>>
File: BARBARIAN2.jpg (157KB, 1211x765px) Image search: [Google]
BARBARIAN2.jpg
157KB, 1211x765px
>>54527000
>What's your favorite magic weapon/item that your character has owned? How did you acquire it?

Don't think I've had a character acquire a magical item/weapon yet. Hope the current campaign I'm in sees that change. I want to see my barbarian get something interesting.
>>
>>54530084
i mean this has to be fake, but in the off chance that it isn't, i feel sorry for you.
>>
>>54530118
Sure, if you're a dick GM. More likely:

>the bandit is about to attack you and you don't have a weapon, what you do?
>I look for a weapon
>OK, you see [a weapon]/you don't see anything usable as a weapon/OK, roll Perception if you see anything.
>>
>>54530199
Note that the monk is used because while barbarian unarmored defense allows shield, you can't use Bladesong with a shield, and Bladesong is a better choice.
>>
>>54530084
Well, i guess everyone has different playstyle.

And i think /tg/ could learn from them about the communication. If player is straight up able to tell what bothers her about the game (being abandoned, for example), maybe half table-top related questions on this board wouldn't be answered by "Talk with your DM/players".
>>
File: Fearful.png (575KB, 1379x456px) Image search: [Google]
Fearful.png
575KB, 1379x456px
>>54530084
And I thought Adventurer's League was bad.
>>
>>54530084
If they're organizing their own meet-ups and establishing their playstyle upfront I don't see the problem. I wouldn't play it but if they have fun I won't judge.
>>
So I'm playing in my first campaign ever. We've had a couple of sessions and I've come to realise the character I made is sorta shitty. It's a lizardman barbarian (the campaign is scaled types only, so the options are lizardman, kobold, yuan-ti pureblood, dragon born or tiefling with scales). While everyone else has pretty synergistic race and class choices and are pretty kickass in combat my dude is pretty useless.

Now that i understand the mechanics a bit better I wouldn't have tried to take advantage of their bite attack being unarmed somehow, or wouldn't have chosen a class that overlapped with their unarmoured defense. Or I woulda chosen dragon born or tiefling. Their feeding frenzy is rubbish compared to other once per short rest moves and the rest of their abilities aren't much to write home about.

But I'm stuck with him, so I really need some help to build him a bit better as I level. We're about to reach 4th level, my stats are
Lizard Folk Tribal Path Barb
Str16
Dex13
Con16
Int9
Wis14
Cha12

he's currently using a great axe.

So my options are ability score increase or feat. I think great weapon master, fell handed or maybe just lucky or sentinel would be best. Any help? Also just help playing in general. I always feel really useless in game.
>>
>>54530084
>I gave my character description and they asked what his pronouns were.
lel. But the real question is how shitty was your description that you didn't use any pronouns?
>>
File: 1500769832726.png (486KB, 593x398px) Image search: [Google]
1500769832726.png
486KB, 593x398px
>>54530084
what an unnerving nightmare of a game.

Why did you join in the first place? Benefit of the doubt? No red flags?
>>
>>54530429
Your character doesn't seem that bad by the numbers alone, but as you, supposedly, rolled for stats, if some other players have +5 in their primary attributes, they will still shadow you, right?

What subclass have you picked?

Barbarian in general is surprisingly defensive option, so that might contribute to your frustrations.

As for solution: Is there something you like about the character? In none or little, maybe ask your DM to let you came with another one. That seems easiest.

Sorry for long, but not really helpful post, i am in similar situation with my cleric, so i just wanted to show some empathy.
>>
>>54530443
Probably spoke about his character in first person
>>
File: 1497637196507.jpg (22KB, 510x497px) Image search: [Google]
1497637196507.jpg
22KB, 510x497px
>>54530370
Don't worry, Ill judge them for you.
>>
>>54530429
>Lizard Folk Tribal Path Barb
The fuck is "Tribal Path"?
>>
>>54527000
How do I build pic related?
>>
>>54530633
Which one, weeb with rapier or "teleports behind you and misses lightning strike" weeb?
>>
>>54530655
Both.
>>
File: HIDE ANIME.png (387KB, 429x308px) Image search: [Google]
HIDE ANIME.png
387KB, 429x308px
>>54530633
>>
>>54530665
Land druid.
>>
>>54530590
Yeah, for example the kobold monk has a +5 in his dex at lvl 3.

I really like the character from the thematic and backstory aspect. he just doesn't seem nearly as useful in or out of combat situations. Like I haven't once had to make a strength test or save, I've never had the opportunity to swim or breathe underwater (and considering the rest of the party aren't lizardmen I don't think they're gonna want to explore the lake or swim along the river). I don't wanna seem like I'm complaining, I just really wish I knew how gimped I'd be with these decisions beforehand, and how to make this character work now.

He's totem warrior and I took crocodile (just bear path with different name) path at level 3 because it seemed thematic. So he doesn't take much damage
>>54530615
totem warrior sorry
>>
>>54530429
Feeding frenzy isn't bad at all, especially on barbarain since your rage is going to make that extra heal go a lot further than normal. Your stats are fine, your CON and STR are both 16 so that's good. Great Weapon Master might be worth it just because of reckless attack. Just spam reckless attack, fish for crits, and feeding frenzy when you're low. If you feel like you're useless, at least just try and tank with your rage. Every hit that targets you is one that doesn't hit your wizard/rogue/other squishy
>>
>>54530603
I take the same stance to SJW players as I do to furries and ERPers; if you aren't annoying about it, I don't care and probably won't even think twice of it. Think about it this way, if that anon hadn't been there we obviously wouldn't be hearing that story over here in the chinz. Their situation is only a problem when seen through the eyes of an outsider. Imagine a similar text being posted to tumblr, but instead, it's about a tumblrite stumbling upon a bunch of grogs and their large, long-standing, smutty Maid RPG group.
>>
>>54530633
by playing another system

dnd doesn't have anything geared toward playing persona-style characters. you're better of trying another system.
>>
>>54530760
Feeding frenzy gives temp hp = my con bonus. it would be way more useful if it was based off damage. It's also only once per short rest. 1d6+str
>>
>>54530429
Use a greatsword / maul instead and get great weapon master.
>>
How do I into exciting chase scene?

At this point my solution is having the driver roll every two turns, so that they aren't bored by basically only being able to move. And their movement can better or worsen the aiming of the players riding. So if they don't swerve or miss a bunch of dodge rolls, it's easier to pop pop the fuckers chasing you.

If anyone has a better solution please tell me, I want this chase to be fun.
>>
>>54530788
When you're raging you have resistance. At 16 con that's 3 temp hp. With resistance that's 6 effective HP. Not to mention you get a bonus action attack which will deal 1d6+STR+ rage bonus.
>>
>tfw your current group is mostly newbs and are in variable stages of role-playing
>DM mostly uses us to test things for his other campaigns
>We mostly just shoot the shit and play lightly
>wish we could focus more on playing

It's comfy but I wish they were more serious
>>
Is there any actual reason for a Rogue to use a weapon that isn't a rapier?
>>
>>54530890
The DMG literally has a chapter on how to run chase scenes
>>
>>54531001
Yes, you should be using a Light Crossbow unless you know you can safely get into melee. Also dual-wielding works alright in situations.

Really though Rogues should be using either Bow or Rapier depending on the fight.
>>
>>54531001
Daggers in your offhand are alright if you need to spend your bonus action on an extra attack for another chance at sneak-attack, they can also be thrown in a pinch.

Besides, to be honest, it's not like you're using that hand for anything else unless you're packing Crossbow Expert.
>>
>>54531001
Most rogues should use hand crossbows.

Other rogues may consider taking two shortswords even if they're an AT because sometimes you might decide you'd rather ensure the hit with two attacks rather than use GFB/BB. Having that choice is worth the -1 damage per attack that would have otherwise only have needed a rapier. However, you can simply have both a rapier and a shortsword out and drop the rapier if you want to pull a second shortsword.

Also str barbarogues add rage damage to the second attack, like melee and don't use GFB/BB. So they like dual shortswords.

If for some reason your DM bans crossbow expert you can use dual daggers to sneak at range with two hits a round.
>>
File: Gregor_Mendel.png (268KB, 300x304px) Image search: [Google]
Gregor_Mendel.png
268KB, 300x304px
>>54528783
>>cartographer's tools
>possibly the least useful
Yes, what possible use could you get out of something that helps you make and read maps.
>>
File: 1442619985826.png (287KB, 540x489px) Image search: [Google]
1442619985826.png
287KB, 540x489px
I come to you with two questions tonight, /5eg/.
I'd like my next PC to be a Revenant in pursuit of a recently lost important item or artifact in a seafaring campaign. Maybe it was stolen, or maybe his original goal before dying was to retrieve it.

Can Revenants feasibly have the appearance of a skeletons, or do they look like the more 'meaty' undead?
Two, does the regeneration from Relentless Nature work when you're unconsious and at 0 HP as well? That'd mean you are able to get back up at the start of your turn, unless killed outright or killed in-between your turns. I think my GM's on the fence about that one being a bit too strong.
>>
>>54530911
Umm, I'm just re-reading rage and do I actually get rage bonus on the bite damage? It's classified as an unarmed attack, and rage says that I get a bonus on melee weapon attacks using strength.
>>
>>54528882
>Wizard
Priest, you mean. And the reason was to cure his blindness.
It didn't work out
>>
>>54531082
Unarmed attacks count as melee weapon attacks, and it uses strength, so yes it does get rage damage.
>>
>>54531082
Unarmed attacks are considered melee weapon attacks, so yes, you do get rage damage on unarmed attacks if they use strength.
>>
>>54531091
>>54531111
okay, thanks
>>
>>54529297
Basically Druids don't worship gods, they worship the Moon, The Seasons and dogshit.

That last one isn't literal, most of the time. Don't get wise if you meet one where it is, he will fuck your shit up.
>>
>>54531045

I hate hand crossbows with a passion. I own one in real life and the idea of them doing actual damage is just silly. What's with the dual shortswords? What makes it good? What are the upsides and downsides? I like that option because it honestly sounds really thematic.

>weapon switching

I won't do this, it feels cancerous, and while it's great in theorycrafting it all goes out the window if you get magical weapons.

Should a Wood Elf Rogue use a Longbow instead of some form of crossbow since they're automatically proficient in it?
>>
2 questions

A) what is the main difference between Clerics and Paladins?

2. What alignment would a vengeance Paladin be/ what would a good god be for one?
>>
>>54531149
Hand crossbow is way better than longbow / shortbow / whatever ther heck else though again a swashbuckler or even better an AT with a rapier does well compete with it. But if you want to avoid it 'because it's cancerous' then that's totally fine, but it doesn't change that a rogue optimizing themself would likely go hand crossbow.

The benefit of two shortswords is two attacks for a second chance of hitting and slightly increased damage. The main attraction on a rogue with attacking twice is two chances of getting sneak attack.

Rapier works best with a shield or with green flame blade / booming blade, in all other cases you want two shortswords/daggers/ranged weapons.

One odd weapon a rogue can use is a sling with a druid with high wis using 'magic stone'. If your stats are shite but the druid has immense wisdom, it's actually a good idea.
>>
>>54531193
What makes hand crossbows so good? I'm a new player, and just looking over it's stats I'm not seeing anything that makes it better than alternatives.
>>
>>54531001
Yes. Rapier is anachronistic. And also ugly.
>>
>>54531001
Ranged Rogues are very common, hand crossbows are amazing on them. It's safer and can net some pretty good results with Sharpshooter.

I personally prefer the style with rapiers though.
https://youtu.be/JOBTFfHJjV8?t=40
>>
>>54531257
Crossbow expert feat.

You can now attack at 5ft, 10ft, 15ft, 20ft, 25ft, 30ft. Even further with disadvantage.
Rapiers can't do that.
You do 1d6+dex damage as an action and then 1d6+dex damage as a bonus action.
2d6+2xdex damage total.
Rapiers can't do that.
You get two chances to proc sneak attack.
Rapiers can't do that.
>>
>>54531257

>>54531272
This.

They also get even more powerful when combined with the Sharpshooter feat, which helps remedy their awful-range and lets them compete with longbows and other "sniping" weapons/spells... while also picking a nice bit of optional damage against low-AC targets and ignoring cover.
>>
>>54531257
Crossbow Expert + Sharpshooter.

Crossbow Expert makes it so you can make a second attack with the Hand Crossbow as a bonus action, effectively giving the Rogue extra attack increasing the odds of hitting for sneak attack while staying at a comfortable range. Sharpshooter makes it so you can ignore the cover your allies are giving your opponent, increase the range, and increase your damage output by 20.
>>
Would changing hand crossbows to do 1d4 damage be an undeserving nerf?
>>
>>54531257
Crossbow Expert. Another attack as bonus action. Rogues need more attacks to have a better chance to land sneak attack, and hand crossbow is the only ranged weapon with this option
>>
>>54531292
Yes. Whats wrong with the hand crossbow that it deserves this debuff?
>>
File: 1489298971595.jpg (24KB, 504x393px) Image search: [Google]
1489298971595.jpg
24KB, 504x393px
>>54531168
1) First off, they're both Divine casters. Cleris have full caster progression, while Paladins are half casters.
Clerics were originally conceived like archetypal church militants or executers of their god's will, like Crusaders. Paladins are complicated, but 5e makes it so they're more about their sacred vows, drawing power from their commitment to an idea or set of ideas: they're (classically) holy warriors that stand for all that is good and just, fueled by conviction, whereas Clerics get their powers directly from a deity and get the full scope of divine spells instead of ''cutting the middleman''. It's also worth mentioning that not all Clerics are priests.

Mechanically, Paladin puts more emphasis on melee combat than spellcasting, and the opposite is generally also true for a Cleric, but they can be really good at melee as well. Conversely, Paladin also has some of the best features in the game in the form of auras, so they're great for party support even if they rely on spells much less than Clerics. They're both solid classes.

2) It depends, but while you have the freedom to choose for yourself and should be able to make most alignments work, Paladin Oaths are geared to some particular alignments; Devotion and Ancients are largely Good aligned, for example. Vengeance is usually LN or LG unless you go for something more edgy. Paladins don't require to worship a god, and even if they do, they won't necessarily get their powers from it, but it's very common: one of the gods of Justice would be my first guess for Vengeance. Alternatively, something that ties directly into your character's motivation for picking Vengeance as an Oath would work as well.
>>
>>54527000
It's probably a tie between the nightcaller (Zombie whistle for my level 2 necromancer wizard is a godsend) and the alchemist jug (Dragon sorcerer who is also a traveling bartender. Used to make his ale on the road but now can use his jug to to serve his paetrons and fill his supply).

For combat efficiency, however, my favorite has to be the ring of spell storing. For a rare ring, it is extremely versatile and powerful for any caster.
>>
File: Magic Missile vs Brain Missile.png (89KB, 783x648px) Image search: [Google]
Magic Missile vs Brain Missile.png
89KB, 783x648px
Just for lels I decided to compare Magic Missile to Mystic's equivalent. Does my math seem correct?

Both classes are level 9 and assumed to burn 100% of their resources (Spell Slots and PSI points) casting either Magic Missile or Psionic Blast.

Bear in mind that as Magic Missile is 1d4+1 per dart it's going to deviate far less than Psionic blast's flat 1d8, and (not that it's relevant to this "test") Magic Missile can target more than one creature.
>>
How do I settle on a character
>>
>>54531486
Step 1- pick a damn character. Ideally pick one that can mesh well with the party mechanically and rp-wise.
Step 2- end up with a pile of ones you'll never use because making characters is "fun"
Step 3- ???
>>
Rolled 4 + 1 (1d4 + 1)

>>54531454
Just a reminder that when you cast magic missile each dart does the same amount of damage.
Ex)
>Cast Magic Missile at 5th level targeting one creature.
>They take the damage above x7
>>
>>54531534
Wouldn't this equal out to be approximately the same average anyways?
>>
>>54531640
Depending on who is casting this magic missile spell no. If it's an evocation wizard they get to add their intelligence mod to the damage. If you allow UA multiclassing Twilight Druid can get numbers around 300+ with this.

Otherwise, yeah it would be about the same.
>>
File: prob.png (11KB, 400x581px) Image search: [Google]
prob.png
11KB, 400x581px
>>54531640
Doesn't look like it.
>>
Quick question and I already feel like a retard for asking, but if your AC is above 21 or above, does a natural 20 override that?
>>
>>54531740
Yes. Attack rolls are the only area a natural 20 or a natural 1 are an auto-hit or auto-miss.
>>
>>54531740
Yes, natural 20s on attack rolls (Weapon, spell attack, ect.) are automatic hits and critical hits.
>>
>>54531740
Natural 20s on attacks always hits, natural 1s always misses. AC is irrelevant.
>>
>>54527279
>some of his innocence
Compels him to become guilty of something.
A permanent malus to resists compulsions to do evil
A taint detectable by divine and infernal agents
>>
>>54531751
>>54531763
>>54531762
Alrighty.
Now I just have to figure out how to calculate attack rolls on burst fire SMGs or pellet fire shotguns. Not D&D related. Thanks for the help.
>>
>>54531751
>>54531740
>>54531762
>>54531763
Please note that this DOES NOT APPLY TO ANYTHING EXCEPT ATTACK ROLLS. Skill checks don't auto-succeed on a natural 20, and don't auto-fail on a natural 1.

This is such an astoundingly common misconception that leads to stupid shit like "i intimidate the door into opening lol"
>>
>>54530037
mariner los the bonus if they wield a shield
>>
>>54529799
Pretty sure you can get stupid high AC with Mystic, maybe even above 30.
>>
Is it being "that guy" if a player has their character take an unnecssary risk with potentially disastrous repercussions(Including putting the rest of the party at risk) to re-acquire a trinket that is worthless in both a monetary and game-play sense, but has great sentimental value to the character?
>>
>>54531070
If varies with method of death, if you'r character was murders with a Ooze you might be a skeleton.

Most are "fresher" though.
>>
>>54531784
Saves too
>>
>>54531900
If you're being intentionally vague I suspect you're hiding critical details that would probably put you in a bad light. Roleplaying isn't really a good excuse for making a character that is fundamentally driven to fuck over the party, but otherwise in good faith there's bound to be times where your character might want to go against them, and that can theoretically be okay
>>
Is a triton rogue a bad idea for an underdark campaign
>>
Would you recommend shield master to an Eldritch Knight?
>>
>>54531900
How long has it had great sentimental value to him?

Since character creation, or since you thought it'd be a "safe" way to stir up shit?
>>
>>54531963
Not really. Eldritch Knight is probably better off with a two handed weapon for spell casting purposes. If your DM doesn't really care about enforcing somatic/material component restrictions or you have Warcaster then sure
>>
>>54528477
This is the best suggestion. Make the players paranoid.
>>
>>54532006
I'm running a dex based sword and board one.
>>
What's your favourite way to begin a campaign? Do you like to start with all the PCs knowing each other so you can jump straight into play, or start in a location and roleplay introductions?

My DM has all 4 players seperated at the beginning, and he's guiding us all to the same hub location where we'll run into each other and form a party. I spoke to two of the other players after the session and they said they're really enjoying it because it forces them to think about how their character approaches situations solo vs with a group. I can definitely see how it depends a lot on what kind of players you have, if one person decided "nah i'm not interested in visiting [meeting place] then that could mess things up pretty easily.
>>
>>54531964
Since character creation.
>>54531925
To put it as simply as I can:
>Party gets captured, gear stolen.
>Manage to escape by organizing a prison riot: We're at low level so nothing that got taken from us was super valuble, and we were able to get some serviceable gear during the escape.
>Rogue discovers where all our stuff is being kept, but actually getting to it would require sneaking across a room filled with guards that haven't been alerted that something is up yet
>He and everyone else agree that it isn't worth the risk to retrieve our items and we should just gtfo. This is completely fair, but my character refuses to leave without a small glass orb that is stored with the rest of the stuff: Something that was left behind by her elven mother(character was a half elf), whom she never met and dosen't even know if she's alive or not. (This was a major motivation.)
>I understand that getting out is the smarter and safer plan, so I tell the rest of the party both IC and OOC that it's fine if they want to leave without me, but i'm getting my fucking orb
>Rogue player starts acting pissy, but the party dosen't immediately leave: they just get ready to book it if I fail. (The rogue refuses to sneak, which again, is fair.)
>Character is a sorcerer with mage hand and a decent stealth modifier, so I manage to pull it off with some close rolls, and the party escapes successfully.
>After the game, the rogue player throws a hissy fit because I "tried to kill everyone". I tell him he and everyone else could have left any time they wanted, but he just proceeds to continue being pissy.

Was I in the wrong?
>>
>>54532105
Rogue player sounds like a little bitch. You did fine, that seemed like an appropriate roleplay opportunity.
>>
>>54532105
Who cares, you got the orb.
He's just prissy because you pulled a better steal than he ever will.
>>
>>54532105
Seems reasonable enough to me.
>>
>>54532094
I always like to start the campaign with a "premise". Essentially I like to create a group or organization and tell players they have to make a character who's a part of this organization. Like I'll say "this game is going to be about a group of bounty hunters" or "you're all part of a guild that takes on jobs for hire as long as they're deemed legal" or "you're all in service to this noble or general" or something along those lines. The player's reasons for being in the organization are up to them, but having the organization there gives the players all a reason to trust eachother and cooperate right off the bat. They're not a bunch of random schmucks who all met in a tavern or a bunch of prisoners who escaped a prison together and now have no real reason to work together anymore. Plus, it makes early-game plothooks easy because the goals of the organization can make for easy plothooks if the players haven't come up with any specific for their characters yet.
>>
>>54532105
>>Party gets captured, gear stolen.

>Was I in the wrong?

No the GM was.
Also yeah rigue was a pissy little meta-bitch, any complaints should be done in-character.
>>
I have a lore question - how does lolth feel about drow vampires? Does she approve, is indifferent, or does she hate them?
>>
File: 1449558634714.png (61KB, 180x148px) Image search: [Google]
1449558634714.png
61KB, 180x148px
>>54532158
Lore for what setting? There's like a dozen different DnD settings.
>>
>>54532158
Well she's Lolth and it isn't a form of worshiping her and doesn't turn you into a spider, so I'm going to say she generally doesn't approve
>>
>>54532040
If you're dex based, shield master is just ok. It's pretty good on strength-based sword and board chartacters, since it lets them shove as a bonus action, which is strength-based.
>>
>>54532168
Greyhawk is basically a dead setting, so he's probably referring to the Forgotten Realms one. Not that they're very different
>>
>>54532152
How was the GM wrong for not letting the PCs have their gear in a fucking prison? He even allowed retrieving at least part of it with stealth and mage hand so it's not like he just took it and threw it to the abyss. Only retard GMs keep prisoner's gear in easy access to prisoners.
>>
>>54532094
I had my campaign start out with a reason for being together rather than "You meet in a tavern." Each of them had been affected in one way or another by my games antagonist and they each wanted revenge.

>>54532176
>Its strength based
...How did I forget this, that's a great point. I guess I'll drop it for something else.
>>
File: Guild Guardian.jpg (50KB, 372x581px) Image search: [Google]
Guild Guardian.jpg
50KB, 372x581px
>>54532144
>>54532212
Definitely. In my campaign the starting premise is that all the players coincidentally happen to be looking for the same NPC, but for completely different reasons. This gives all the players a reason to team up when we stumble across one another and ensures that the campaign doesn't become too diluted with multiple objectives for every player.

I can see some people complaining about having their backstory "restricted" or something but honestly you my stance is that you should have enough of an imagination to blend whatever idea you have with the premise that the DM sets.

How do you guys feel about splitting the party? Good idea or bad, and for what reasons? I only ask because I constantly see people and books saying "DON'T SPLIT THE PARTY!" but so far everyone in my current group has been enjoying it, although part of that enjoyment is almost certainly anticipation of the imminent meetup.
>>
>>54532168
>>54532181
It is greyhawk, but I thought she was fairly similar everywhere.
>>
>>54531963
>>54532040

From levels 7 through 10 you're better off using your Bonus Actions for War Magic (GFB/BB).

Before and past that, Shield Master isn't a good fit for DEX-based combatants, but it's not like you have anything good to do with your Bonus Action as an EK. Perhaps take a couple levels of Rogue for Cunning Action instead?
>>
>>54532270
I'm going for a Witcher-feel and I plan on going Revised Ranger Monster Slayer.
>>
>>54532194
It depends on the circumstamces their of capture.

A flat GM fiat "you are captured" with no oprion to resist is a red flag on the level of catgirl GMPC
Starting in a cell robs players of agency and invalidates choices
Removing gear without allowing them the option to avoid the situation again robs players of agency and may well invalidate cwrtain characters ability to perform.
>>
>>54532270
So huh... EK+Ranger multiclass?

How many levels are you taking for each?
>>
>>54532313
Well we don't have any reason to assume that the capture was DM fiat since none of what happened before prison was included in the story, so maybe stop projecting
>>
>>54532259
Splitting the party is fine as long as everyone understands that it means they're going to have to spend some downtime listening to the DM describe what's happening to someone else for awhile. I find it works best if you don't have a ton of players. Like with a group of 3 or 4 players, go ahead. With 7 or 8... probably should avoid it.

As for actual reasons to do it... I find stealth characters create alot of reasons. Like sneaking into a place to open the front gate or a back door for the party, scouting ahead and taking out a sentry so everyone else can pass safely, ect.

I also tend to have alot of really short-term party splits when there's downtime between adventures. Like the party's casters don't really have a reason to tag along with the Fighter while he gets his armor repaired, and the Fighter doesn't have much reason to tag along with the casters while they go pick up new spellbooks and components.
>>
>>54532270
>it's not like you have anything good to do with your Bonus Action as an EK
I mean, there is Misty Step and Expeditious Retreat. Or you could get Magic Initiate for Hex.
>>
Best class for a Goblin?
>>
>>54532313
Or they could have just been playing Out of the Abyss that starts with the level 1 party imprisoned with their gear held in a separate part of the Drow complex.
>>
File: 1248743195762817710.gif (5MB, 636x358px) Image search: [Google]
1248743195762817710.gif
5MB, 636x358px
>>54532315
At the moment I'm thinking 17 Eldritch Knight/ 3 Revised Ranger Monster Slayer

Hunter's Mark + Slayers Eye and all the other revised ranger goodies.

I can't think of any major reason for going deeper into ranger beside the greater favored enemy ability.
>>
>>54532328
From a comedic standpoint, Wizard or Barbarian
>>
>>54532328
Revised Beastmaster Ranger with a Wolf pet, use CBE and SS to give yourself that precious extra attack and allow you to use the Advantage from prone enemies at point blank with a hand crossbow.
>>
>>54532347
Barbarian Goblin is the correct answer.
>>
>>54532328
NPC-only
>>
While attempting a grapple, do you have advantage if your target is of a smaller size than you? I could've sworn I saw this rule somewhere.

And it makes sense right? That a giant would have an easier time grappling a human, since the giant could probably hold them with a single hand.
>>
>>54532344
Alright.

Monster Slayer is actually not very good, particularly not for a 3 level dip. If you want the flavor then just fluff as you wish but take Hunter instead.

Hunter's Mark gives you something to do with your Bonus Actions. Slayer's Eye competes with it, which is why it's a bad idea: in general, the DM is going to just let you make an arcana/nature/religion check to identify monsters if you care about that.
>>
>>54532447
Colossal slayer does do more damage than Slayers Eye... and flows better than Slayers Eye. Good call.
>>
Hey, is there a way that I can download that compendium up at the top to save it on my computer?
>>
>>54532447
Do you have any feat recommendations? I'm a variant human so I already got War Caster. I'm thinking about just going for the stats, but I have a lot of options.
>>
File: 1405993394609.png (54KB, 263x290px) Image search: [Google]
1405993394609.png
54KB, 263x290px
I'm about to run Storm King's Thunder on roll20, I need tips and advice on how to make it great, bonus points for roll20 tips too as it's my first time using it.
>>
>>54532632
If you double click at the top of character/monster sheets, it minimizes them which makes a lot more practical to have several sheets open at once.

If you used the Shaped or OGL sheet template and enable the 5e Compendium, you can drag and drop spells and monster stats, which makes things incredibly faster when setting up NPCs and PCs.
>>
>>54532632
add health bars to your monsters
or color them red when they're badly wounded
>>
>>54532787
How do I make them visible to other players?
>>
>>54532627
You can't take War Caster first level as either Ranger or EK.

There really aren't specifically good feats for this DEX-based MC (besides War Caster). Just general stuff like Lucky, Alert, Tough, Resilient WIS, etc.
>>
>>54532793
You can tag it. Also go the extra mile and add macros for your creatures it will speed up things on your side at least.
>>
>>54531961
Triton should never mix with any of those. It's perfect.

>>54532144
This is how I feel as a Thief. For some reason no one would ever expect a Swashbuckler or AT to be the party tool, but as soon as you play a Thief everyone ignores you aside from when they need something opened or scouted.
>>
>>54532793
I wouldn't make monster HP bars visible to my players, but if you want to, double-clicking on a monter token opens its settings. If you go to advanced, you can select whichever bar or aura you want to allow your players to see.

I do this for the Names and HP bars of all PCs.
>>
>>54532814
How about Sentinel? For the reactionary hits?
>>
...can a willing, living medium humanoid (PC) get into a bag of holding?
>>
>>54532824
>Make a halfling thief specialized in spotting and disarming traps, and picking locks.
>Barbarian: "Eh I can tank this trap" "I smash the lock open"
>>
>>54532822
Like what?
I tried adding an initiative macro but the token included with SKT don't have dex mods added.
>>
>>54532855
DM should have one of the traps banish him to the Nine Hells for 5 minutes or something.
>>
>>54532884
It's a decent feat.

But you don't have Reach and your Opportunity Attacks are done with Booming Blade so it's not particularly impressive in this situation.
>>
>>54532851
There's rules on that somewhere, they can but they'll suffocate after a certain amount of time.
>>
>>54532884
Add an attribute to the token called Initiative with the value being it's initiative
Create a global macro with "/roll 1d20+@{selected|Initiative}" and tag Show as Token Action?
>>
>>54532903

What if they bring breathing aparatus?
>>
>>54532922
They suffocate after the breathing aparatus runs out.
>>
Roll20 question if anyone knows how to make this work. I use a lot of drop down menus for my macros and I'm wondering if there is a way to make a yes or no drop down selection with for sneak attack. "Yes" will roll the Sneak Attack dice. "No" will do nothing.
>>
Are there any ways to improve crit range besides Champion and Hexblade's curse?
>>
>>54532902
Alright, I guess I'll take Lucky.
>>
>>54532940
Range? No.

Changes to crit? Elven Accuracy, and any way to reliably gain advantage like prone, Reckless Attack and Darkness+Devil's Sight.
>>
>>54532922
I remember a story a while ago about an air genasi who played as a "sentient bag of holding". He could stay in there indefinitely and would throw spells from within.
>>
We're about to start a fresh game of 5e, any pointers or tips for us and things to watch out for? We've played rpgs before and we're a bunch of good friends.
>>
>>54533144
if a player wants to do something unorthodox, as long as it's not gamebreaking, let him do it
i had a druid pretending to be a bard entertain a ship of slavers while we rescues his friend by playing a trumpet with his ass using constitution checks
>>
Are there any races with +2 to Int?
>>
>>54533226

Gnomes.
>>
>>54532403
Not ad written, but anything that incentivizes grappling is a bad idea. The one house rule I use is that if you try to grab something two sizes bigger than you, you can't really stop it from moving and it's more like you're climbing it.
>>
>>54533304
>The one house rule I use is that if you try to grab something two sizes bigger than you, you can't really stop it from moving and it's more like you're climbing it.
First of all, you CAN'T grapple something 2 sizes bigger RAW.

Secondly there's rules for climbing on bigger monsters in the DMG you could use for it.
>>
>>54533167
What the fuck.
>>
>>54533144
Use the optional rules for inspiration, found in the PHB. It encourages player aggression, which is always fun.
>>
>>54533535
Please elaborate?
>>
>>54533535
>Encourages player aggression.

Yes, because giving players even MORE of a reason to be mindless murder-hobos and be mechanically rewarded for it is what good roleplaying is about.
>>
How would you narrate a disintegrate that hit but didn't manage to kill a PC? Like the PC sees the tips of his fingers and other edges of his body turn to ash, along with sections of their armor?
>>
>>54533226
White men
>>
File: pol.jpg (327KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
pol.jpg
327KB, 900x900px
>>54533758
>>
>>54528186
>no, but I want to
That seems like something that could be banged out in under an hour, easy.
>>
File: cu cuchalain.jpg (55KB, 400x583px) Image search: [Google]
cu cuchalain.jpg
55KB, 400x583px
>>54533758
Audible chuckle
>>54533773
Relax nerd
>>
>>54528545
>There is no positive energy in 5e
Of course there is, if you're playing in a setting with a Positive Energy plane like Forgotten Realms. What you meant is that there's no Positive Energy damage type or spells that inflict it.
>>
>>54530214
>i mean this has to be fake
Should we be worried that so many people replied thinking otherwise?
>>
>>54533871
The story is obviously fake, but I've still seen parts of it happen in real life situations, and they're just as pathetic and cringeworthy.
>>
>>54533758
>>54533773
>>54533821
Never go full autistic retard.
>>
>>54532632
Replace half the giants in the module with enslaved Medium-sized creatures or mercenaries because holy fuck does fighting nothing but Huge not-even-humanoids suck for 90% of the game suck total dog dick for any kind of build that isn't GWM/PAM fuckery.

>yes i'd like to use stunning strike
>nevermind it's not going to succeed on a giant
>how about this battlemaster maneuver
>nah also not gonna work ever
>oh, a CC spell that isn't Slow
>nope
>can I grapp-
>no
>okay i guess we'll stand here and have a slug-fest with creatures whose AC and numbers are equal to ours but have 3x more HP and damage
>well you could always run and ambush them
>yes, let's run from the creatures who are faster than us, ambush them with traps that are 1/60th their size and couldn't possibly trip them or even penetrate their shoe leather, or abandon all our melee weapons for bows and javelins and still die to rocks being thrown at us from a mile away

You have to perform some pretty ridiculous cheese to handle those encounters as-is unless the DM holds your hand and doesn't immediately alert every giant in a compound so they all walk over and crush you, OR you spend the whole time sneaking and solve the "free this captive" puzzle that each giant HQ wants you to do.

Like, shit, I just wanna crush some fucking giants, not babysit some fucking dragon or a friendly giant and watch it do all the work while I whittle away at some asshole's anklebone for six rounds.

>roll20 tips
Holding Alt while moving or resizing things lets you do so without snap-to-grid.
>>
>>54533975
This is something I was worried about looking over the adventure. I think my players know what they're getting in to, but is the variety really that bad?
>>
>>54533975
>book specifically says "don't let Harshnag overshadow the players"
>"he'll stand around and do nothing but taunt the enemies if it looks like he's doing all the damage and the players feel bad"
>doesn't actually do anything to solve the problem
great design
>>
>>54534016
The start of the adventure, before you fight any giants, is fine. When they show up, they're like bosses. It makes sense. Then you toodle around the wilderness for a while fighting barbarians, and that's also fine. But as soon as the module expects you to go slap some giant shit in, it becomes a pain. And lord help you if the party wants to deal with more than one bunch of giants instead of saying
>well we got this seashell so we can just ignore all the raping and pillaging that's going on because surely if we insert Tab A into Slot B that'll all sort out at the end
which requires some great leaps of faith on the party's part, or metaknowledge.

The difference between SKT and, say, PotA is far as enemy variety and encounter building is night and day.
>>
>>54527000
I recently got a sunblade in a certain underdark adventure module. I'm not the most effective with it, being a Cleric, but as a Life Cleric of Pelor it feels awfully appropriate to have. The DM was nice and let me have proficiency with it, and since I'm not the greatest melee fighter I've been enjoying using it in a support role, curing drop poisons and blinding them with it's light.

My actual favorite magic weapon was from a Pathfinder game, since it has item creation rules and I could go crazy, but I know we don't like to talk about that.
>>
>>54533975
I was thinking about that the other day, which would be an effective caster against the giants. I imagine mostly Dex and Wis save spells, with the occasional Cha here and there. Probably a cleric or a bard, with stuff like Hypnotic Pattern, Slow, Sleet Storm, Banishment etc.
>>
>>54534059
>>54534020
What are the chances you could amass some kind of army to go fight the giants? That way the party would have to deal with a lot less, as the army fights the rest of the giants.
>>
File: Skyship.jpg (23KB, 400x259px) Image search: [Google]
Skyship.jpg
23KB, 400x259px
Help me out here, /5eg/. I want to run spelljammer, but the lore is pretty silly. There's nothing wrong with that, but it's also hard to read. Is there a place to read on the setting details? It seems extremely unfocused.

Would I be wrong in using Eberron as a base for the technology, then working from there? I would likely mix in details from starfinder when it releases.

>Elemental Spelljammers
>Warforged in space
>>
>>54527146
A Wizard can use Arcane Recovery at 6th level to get back 1 3rd level slot.
>>
On the topic of SKT, is the scale of some of these maps a little TOO large? I get this is a giant themed campaign and all but the All-Father Shrine has a 1squre =20ft grid, and the ice cavern is fucking 50ft. You need a double move to cross a single square?
>>
File: 9c4ba4aab0[1].jpg (648KB, 1297x821px) Image search: [Google]
9c4ba4aab0[1].jpg
648KB, 1297x821px
>>54534182
Here it is in roll20.
>>
>>54534230
How large is that map according to roll20's measurements? You know, 10x10, 40x40, etc?
>>
Can Intellect Fortress- Psychic Parry be made after you see the roll?
>>
Which one is better for a swashbuckler that's taking three or five levels in fighter., battlemaster or champion?
>>
File: c0d424e0c6[1].jpg (410KB, 1352x765px) Image search: [Google]
c0d424e0c6[1].jpg
410KB, 1352x765px
>>54534253
It's set 1 square = 50ft, that was with the grid on 0.1 so each gridsquare was 5ft.
>>
>>54529297

I'm currently playing a Nature Cleric. They're a former city soldier who retired to the countryside after a grievous injury, and found peace and fulfillment in renouncing violence in farming humbly in personal communion with the goddess Eldath. Not so much a "church guy" but he says his prayers and keeps his rituals. Studies more of a farmer's almanac than a bible.
>>
>>54529266

Your DM sounds awful.
>>
>>54532094

At Session Zero, everyone in the group creates their characters together, and some may opt to have their characters know each other but it's not mandatory. What IS ncesessary though is that eventually, the players and the DM all decide on the inciting event that 1) brings all the characters together and 2) is the impetus for adventure.
>>
How do you guys deal with paladins who are acting un-paladin like?
>>
>>54531001
Longbow if you took High Elf I guess
>>
Designing a fuckhuge military landship for a one-shot blatantly ripped off from Lost Planet 2. What are some things it should have inside/on it?

How would you (with the aid of fellow Sand Pirates) attack it?

>Ship is manned by a full crew of elite "sailors" and a platoon of [nation]'s best and brightest soldiers returning from a campaign
>Currently the ship is returning to It's homeland across the fuckhuge desert with a cargo full of rare artificer material and exotic spices/grains
>The ship is bristling with ballistae and rotary Firebolt autorods, the highest tech weapons in setting
>The ship has a movespeed of 100 feet/round at full throttle, however cannot take the Dash action or anything, nor can it be easily controlled at full speed
>The ship slides on the desert ground and either ramps over dunes or plows straight through them
>The ship is much too heavy to fly while moving forward- however when It's engines are at full output it can lift itself 5 feet/round- (it can only move 5 feet in any direction at a time like this or it risks tipping over) to get over obstacles like canyons. (If it already has enough forward momentum it can use this vertical thrust to glide "safely" (as in the entire crew makes DC 15 Acrobatics or Athletics checks or get knocked prone on impact) to the ground
>The ship (and it's twin) are the pride and joy of their nation- no expense was spared in it's construction, however it is by no means a luxury ship, every square foot of it is designed to be obscenely durable and utilitarian (Essentially the first Ironclads back in the American Civil War as cargo ships)
>>
File: Untitled-1.jpg (41KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-1.jpg
41KB, 300x300px
How do spells like Ice Knife work?
Make a ranged spell attack against the
target. On a hit, the target takes 1d10 piercing damage. Hit or miss, the shard then explodes. The target and each creature within 5 feet of the point where the ice exploded must succeed on a Dexterity saving throw or take 2d6 cold damage.

So when the 'explosion' happens, is it a 2x2 going from target, to a single point or 3x3 where the target is still the center and 5ft around is 1 tile surrounding them?
>>
>>54527077
Depends. Does it make sense for everyone to have a go or not? If your party has come across an ancient statue of an Elf in peculiar garb, it makes sense that everyone would roll a history check to see if they know what it is, but if it's to try and disarm a lock, then only one of them can do that, so only one rolls.

I'm personally not a fan of the "I'll roll for the group because I have the highest stat" style of doing skill checks. Each player is supposed to be their own character, and I feel that taking away the ability to decide for themselves sort of removes a bit of autonomy, and is a bit too gamey.
>>
>>54534671
I'd rule it as (and I think it's as intended) the second one. 3x3 with the target in the middle.
>>
>>54534638
>Landship with a likely 100 man crew that goes nearly 70mph
jesus_christ_how_horrifying.png
>>
>>54534529
A warning before they do anything that directly violates their code of conduct. Also a warning if a lot of little near-misses are adding up and threatening to change their alignment. If they persist, they fall and get no more spell slots until they make good with their church.

And this doesn't just apply to traditional devotion paladins, but to ALL paladins. Every paladin still has a code of conduct that must be upheld. If a vengeance paladin fails to pay restitution or prioritize sworn enemies, they fall just as hard.
>>
>>54532158
I'd wager hate based on the fact she's Lolth and hates just about everything
>>
>>54534638
Every structure in D&D has to have some kind of anti-adventurer protocols, so I guess I'd try to research those first. If they were somehow lax in their duties and don't have good standing orders, I'd try some or all of the following:

>teleport into the helm or engine room and disable the ship
>polymorph or wild shape into a tiny animal that can get on board, sneak into the helm or engine room, and disable the ship
>find the most isolated waypoint/refueling station for this thing, kill everyone there, impersonate them when the ship stops, and take it over that way.
>if the thing follows a predetermined road or path, Hallucinatory Terrain to cover a giant pit or pile of boulders
>>
>>54533226
Variant humans with +1 Int and appropriate feat (Keen Mind, Observant...)
>>
So I'm making a ship to serve as a base and home for my PCs in my pirate setting.
It's a fairly big ship, owned by an old and wise dwarf cartographer who used to be an adventurer.
I plan on introducing some useful NPCs (crew members) along the campaign:
>The Cartographer, owner of the ship and quest giver. He's the captain.
>The Blacksmith, for weapons, armor and minor ship upgrades.
>The Scholar, for scrolls and magic&monster intel.
>The Carpenter, an inventor, for ship maintenance and upgrades.
who else should I introduce?
>>
File: 1474496732886.jpg (152KB, 757x439px) Image search: [Google]
1474496732886.jpg
152KB, 757x439px
>>54535036
A cook, navigator, doctor, musician, sharpshooter, and a swordsman
>>
>>54535036
The Barber/Field Surgeon
>>
>>54535036
Either someone who can cast Control Water or someone who can cast Dispel Magic when some other asshole casts Control Water. That spell can singlehandedly wreck any ship. Maybe have each senior crewman carry a bunch of scrolls of Dispel Magic and/or Counterspell at all times.
>>
File: oathbreaking.jpg (69KB, 369x307px) Image search: [Google]
oathbreaking.jpg
69KB, 369x307px
>>54534529
>>
>>54534529
They become oathbreakers, which is actually a power up.
>>
>>54531783
No attack rolls, target makes a DEX save instead. There's rules for this in the DMG.
>>
I need to make some not-quite-mass combat rules, the UA rules are no good because it's a massive anarchistic brawl. Do these seem like good quick 'n ez rules? They require a lot of on the fly balancing but that's not a big deal imo.

>Two creatures (or two groups of creatures) get in "fights"
>Instead of doing each creature (or group) individually, roll for a "fight" between both parties
>A "fight" is a simple d20- assign each group 1 or 2
>On a 1 Team 1 gets 2 Succeses
>On a 2-6 Team 1 gets 1 Success
>On a 6-12 neither party makes any progress
>On a 13-19 Team 2 gets 1 Success
>On a 20 Team 2 gets 2 Successes
>You can arbitrarily decide if a team gets a bonus or not based on things like cover or morale, but a bonus should never get above/below a +/-5 on the d20
>Mooks have 3 "HP", Elites have 4, BOSS NIGGAS have 5
>For simplicity HP is a percentage of max health so if a PC engages with them midcombat they aren't at full hp, if a PC engages a "fight" switch to normal combat rules for those creatures/groups
>You can decide as a DM what happens to Fight losers- they can die, make a retreat, etc. according to the scene

These rules clearly don't take into account CR or abilities beyond generalizations, so while fights won't be mechanically "balanced" in that sense it means you as a DM can have a semi-automated chaotic battlefield of roughly even CR creatures without resorting to scripted background combat with no rules.
>>
So is HotDQ supposed to feel vague and like our group is never winning? Nobody believes you about the cult even with proof and said cult has massive strongholds with literal ancient dragons. Every time we get one of the big wigs cornered it's in their home turf and they have some bullshit to get away. Just feels kinda shit
>>
Has anyone ever had their party go to a demon plane at any stage?

I want the climax of my campaign to have the party go to Orcus' domain because they sort of "die" (after activating a trap which leaves their souls with nowhere to be), but I'm not sure of a good starting point.

I've read up on Thanatos, The Belly of Death, and Naratyr, the town there, but it seems more hostile than what I had in mind. I know it's Orcus' home and all deathlike, but I want there to be some sort of grim, miserable outpost where they can buy potions and interact with non-hostile individuals for roleplay to help them get out of there.

I'm toying with them ending up in Sigil afterwards before heading out of there into Faerûn where they started.

Does anyone have any sort of map or idea for demon planes?
>>
>>54535569
Not necessarily. Oathbreakers are specifically Paladins who have broken their oaths to pursue a dark ambition or serve an Evil power. You could break an Oath of Vengeance, Crown, or Conquest for entirely altruistic reasons. Devotion or Ancients is a bit harder to swing.
>>
>>54535632
ofc. HotDQ literally has a battle PCs are supposed to lose.

Fuck Langdadidditydingdongdangadrosa.
Jokes on them though, a level 2 paladin can beat him with some luck (a lot) and intense smiting.
>>
File: Souls_e8e9b4_5911925.jpg (69KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
Souls_e8e9b4_5911925.jpg
69KB, 500x500px
How do I make Patches from Dark Souls?

I thought Rogue at first, but clearly he uses a spear and a shield.

Criminal Background and then maybe Fighter or Revised Ranger?
>>
My character levelled up tonight!

It was level 8 with all levels into Tempest Cleric.

Should I multi-class or not even bother?

Just wondering if there was any cool things or things I can combo with multiple classes.
>>
File: radius.gif (34KB, 869x813px) Image search: [Google]
radius.gif
34KB, 869x813px
>>54534671
First one, the point of explosion is one vertex.
>>
>>54535762
Patches is probably the 5th strongest human in dark souls canon
>>
>>54535774
You could take levels in Storm Sorcerer and fly 10 feet everytime you cast a spell.

>>54535812
Thats an oddly specific number, care to share who the other 4 are? Also, why do you say that? and finally, do you think he'd more likely be a fighter then?
>>
>>54535828
Chosen undead, Bearer of the curse, Ashen one, Slave K***ht Gael. Ashen one is the top since he kills ALL the others (Save patches)
>>
I'm a fairly new player, and I'm not having fun. Our last campaign fell apart after 3 sessions because we got torn apart by 15 giant rats, which I admit was partially my fault (I attempted to gently shove the overconfident rogue into the room since he only saw 2 rats and thought he didn't need to be cautious, I rolled a 20 and ended up pushing him full force into the middle) The campaign before that, we died to like 7 mastiffs and a guy with a crossbow. Am I and the other players just retarded? We were level 4 for the rats (we started at that level) and 5 for the dogs.
>>
>>54535854
Your DM is stupid.
If you rolled a 20 on the push, then it means you pushed him exactly like you meant to, not that you pushed him full force.
Also you're retarded for dying to the mastiffs.
>>
>>54535854
>I attempted to shove the rogue into the room
Do your other party members do shit like this too? You might just be a party of assholes
>>
>>54535854
>I attempted to gently shove the overconfident rogue into the room
>and I'm not having fun

Maybe D&D isn't for you.

Joking aside, Why are you not having fun? what do you expect to happen, and why didn't it happen?

Who is then responsible for what you were expecting to not occur?

It is likely the fault of you and the other players.
Did you and the party go into these situations with any kind of plan?
>>
>>54535854
>I rolled a 20 and ended up pushing him full force into the middle
You and your DM are dicks.
>>
>>54535854
Lay off on the inter-party conflict. If you work together and think for a bit, you can use the terrain and each other to make the tougher fights more bearable. For example, if you had not pushed your friend into a room against his will, you could have used the doorway as a choke point and fought at most 3 rats at a time because they have no ranged attacks.
>>
I'm rolling a level 10 character and my only concept with him is being a two handed fighting dexfag. Would Ranger, Fighter, Valor Bard, Rogue or Bladesinger be best for this?
>>
>>54535941
We basically spent 2 hours being killed by rats/dogs. It's not the dying part so much as how long it took to resolve. I'm not sure if this is normal for DnD or not.
Also, the interactions between the charcters had no hard feelings. The rogue usually runs away from encounters he feels are too strong; this time he only counted 2 rats and said he shouln't have to be sneaky or scout ahead or anything.
>>
>>54535828
>Storm Sorcerer
What/where is that? Looknig through the PHB and can't find that.
>>
>>54536052
UA Waterborne Adventures, Sorcerous Origin: Storm
>>
>>54536052
https://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/UA_Waterborne_v3.pdf

But will probably be in "Xanathar's Guide to Everything" come November-ish.
>>
>>54536052
Sword Coast Adventure Guide
>>
>>54536013
probly depends on your party, I'd bard any goddamn thing in any edition but 5e sucks so little it'll work.
>>
>>54536107
that would be mighty stupid, considering it's been out for almost 2 years now... why reprint it?
>>
>>54536102
>>54536107
Ah righto, probably won't go down well with my group unless it's already in some book, and I probably don't need to fly 10 feet randomly especially when my character is based on melee fighting.
>>
>>54536148
Did not know it was printed in SCAG already, my bad bro.
>>
>>54536148
Because UAs aren't real; they're just playtest material. Putting it in a book is an official endorsement as well as permission to use it in Adventurer's League.
>>
>>54527801
>>54527725
As someone who wanted to roll a rawr damage tempest cleric.

The max damage seems terribly tempting, but it's not. You have ONE lightning spell that is good and it only does 3d10 damage.
>>
>>54530118
>I roll investigation to see if I find a weapon in the room
This is where the player fucked up. Just ask "is there a weapon I can reach/can I see a weapon" and you might get it without rolling or using up your action. Always ask first for what you want to do instead of for rolling dice.
>>
>>54536013
Valor bards and bladesingers are not what you want here. They are full casters who dabble a tiny bit in swords as a backup, and nothing they can do with swords will ever match what they can do with spells, not even counting their highest-level spell slots.

Rogues, especially swashbucklers, can kind of benefit from two-weapon fighting, but the fact that they can only get sneak attack damage once per turn means that the second weapon is more of an insurance policy in case the first weapon misses. Fighters are always solid, but your extra attacks and Action Surges don't benefit two-weapon fighting. Revised rangers are kind of nice because you can trigger Hunter's Mark and Favored Enemy as many times as you like in a turn.
>>
>>54536186
Good luck it's in SCAG which was released almost 2 years ago, right?
>>
>>54536348
Wow, really? It was so boring I forgot about it.
>>
File: Swashbuckler.jpg (52KB, 300x261px) Image search: [Google]
Swashbuckler.jpg
52KB, 300x261px
>>54536358
Get a load of this fag
Yeah it was a little lacking
>>
>>54536358
>>54536394
Good map though
>>
>>54536237
You can use the spell at a higher level to add more d10s
>>
>>54534368
He's a good guy. Problem more than anything is the That Guy is fucking cancer that's bleeding the campaign out in a lot of different ways, but pretty much everyone else feels sorry for him and doesn't want to remove him.
>>
>>54528882
He's gathering the means and resources to enact a massive magic ritual requiring a dozen or more mages across the country. He doesn't trust anyone to do it, so he clones himself and sets his plans into action.
>>
>>54531289
>and increase your damage output by 20.
It's actually somewhat less than 10 because you shouldn't use it on an attack that has sneak attack riding on it and you won't hit as often when you do use it.
>>
>>54536131
I know so far we have a Paladin and a Sorcerer, it's a party of 5, I don't know what the other two are doing.

>>54536335
I don't know if I would go full into some of those routes, since just a dip 2 levels into things like Wizard would give me all the bladesinger benefits as a light armored dual wielder while still having like 8 levels of ranger or something. Rogue's sneak attack scaling probably makes up for the once per turn bit, but I don't get the fighting style for the backhand hit unless I multiclass
>>
>>54531454
28 damage at level 9. Great. Now compare that to a spell a self-respecting caster would actually use at level 9. Or maybe compare it to an evoker at level 10+, the only spellcaster that would still cast magic missile for damage.

Brain Missile does more damage because magic missile doesn't deal enough damage to be worth mentioning and also has the utility of being able to split the damage among multiple enemies.
>>
New thread >>54537050
>>54537050
>>54537050
>>54537050
>>
>>54535844

Dark Souls is not a series where killing something makes you greater than it. It just means you were in the right place to put an end to something well past it's prime.
>>
>>54536458
That said, maxmising a 3rd level lightning bolt is much more efficient than maximising a 8th level call lightning that can't be cast in most places.
>>
>>54531717
It's not the same median or mode, but it is the same mean.
>>
>>54532632

Some modules have a tendency for the group to jump off track and go in a completely unexpected direction.

SKT is more like building a 10-foot tall ramp at the foot of the steepest hill in town, putting barrels of black powder and confetti under it, and repeating "this is going to be fuckin'awesome, bro."

No kidding, the last group I ran through it ended up teaming with the Zhentarim to investigate a serial killer, and it was fuckin' awesome, bro.

The one thing I would caution about, though, is as super-flexible as the module is the suggested quest hooks can be rather weak and may need outright replaced. Not all groups are going to be equally stoked to go 1000 miles to deliver a death notice or return a cat.
>>
>>54533830

More technically, it was folded into Radiant.
>>
>>54533226
Readnigga.jpg
>>
>>54535632
>Nobody believes you about the cult even with proof and said cult has massive strongholds with literal ancient dragons. Every time we get one of the big wigs cornered it's in their home turf and they have some bullshit to get away.
What the fuck are you talking about? Is this about the council in Rise of Tiamat? Or is your DM just shit?
>>
We're still in the first part of the campaign but nobody in waterdeep gave a shit when we told them about greenest nor did they care when we showed them proof of the cults shits actually happening. When we had to go at Naerytar to get Rezmir we showed up to her riding an ancient black dragon. We later took the portal in the basement and followed her to another cultist infested castle. We cornered her and she donned a black dragon mask that made us all blind but let her see so she could murder us/stall until a wizard came and ported her out
>>
>>54538523
meant for >>54538214
>>
>>54532403
No, not a rule. By that token, it's easy for a human to grapple a fly, since you can hold it in one hand. But it's actually fucking hard. Also, grappling assumes one hand to begin with.
>>54532938
For some reason, I'm imagining the "sneak attack: no" option literally doing nothing. As in it won't let you roll your attack if it doesn't qualify for sneak attack.
>>
>>54533588
Seems like a great opportunity for clothing damage.
>>
>>54534305
Battle master. It's more frontloaded. The answer for any fighter dip is 99% of the time battlemaster.
>>
>>54534673
This is the way to handle it. Everyone does what they're doing. If you all want to do the same thing, and you can, then you do, and it'll take you longer to get everything done because you aren't splitting up tasks.
>>
>>54535760
>Jokes on them though, a level 2 paladin can beat him with some luck (a lot) and intense smiting.
That's why they tell you to hold off on level 2 until after the fight is over.
>>
>>54535774
At level 9, you learn Destructive Wave. How is this even a question? Learn destructive wave.
>>54535799
I really like the inclusion of the orange ring in these.
>>
>>54532906
Don't forget &{tracker}
>>
>>54536102
>>54536107
>>54536160
SCAG. Fuck. Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide. This>>54536119
Thread posts: 341
Thread images: 45

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.