[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/STG/ - Star Trek General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 314
Thread images: 60

File: IMG_2759.jpg (293KB, 1440x912px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2759.jpg
293KB, 1440x912px
Soyuz Edition

Previous Thread >>54469779

A thread for discussing the Star Trek franchise and its various tabletop iterations.

Possible topics include Star Trek Adventures - the new rpg being produced by Modiphius - and WizKids’ Star Trek: Attack Wing miniatures game, as well as the previous rpgs produced by FASA, Last Unicorn Games and Decipher, the Starfleet Battles Universe, and Star Trek in general.

Game Resources

Star Trek Adventures, Modiphius’ 2d20 RPG
-Official Modiphius Page
>http://www.modiphius.com/star-trek.html
Playtest Materials (via Biff Tannen)
>https://www.mediafire.com/folder/36m6c22co6y5m/Modiphius%20Star%20Trek%20Adventures
Reverse Engineered Character Creation.
>https://docs.google.com/document/d/1g2ofDX0-7tgHojjk7sKcp7uVFSK3M52eVP45gKNJhgY/edit?usp=sharing
Core Rulebook
>IN NEED OF NEW LINKS

Older Licensed RPGs (FASA, Last Unicorn Games and Decipher)
>http://pastebin.com/ndCz650p

Other (Unlicensed) RPGS (Far Trek + Lasers and Feelings)
>http://pastebin.com/uzW5tPwS

WizKids’ Star Trek: Attack Wing Miniatures Game
-Official WizKids Page (Rules and Player Resources)
>http://wizkids.com/attackwing/star-trek-attack-wing/

GF9games Star Trek: Ascendancy Board Game
-Official Page
>http://startrek.gf9games.com/

Lore Resources

Memory Alpha - Canon wiki
>http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Portal:Main

Memory Beta - Noncanon wiki for licensed Star Trek works
>http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

Fan Sites - Analysis of episodes, information on ships, technobabble and more
>http://pastebin.com/mxLWAPXF

Star Trek Maps - Based on the Star Trek Star Charts, updated and corrected
>http://www.startrekmap.com/index.html

/stg/ Homebrew Content
>http://pastebin.com/H1FL1UyP
>>
File: e3f007c44eb1d33818dc0b617ecef295.png (823KB, 1000x454px) Image search: [Google]
e3f007c44eb1d33818dc0b617ecef295.png
823KB, 1000x454px
>>54520559
>>
File: 1399972769090.gif (442KB, 441x270px) Image search: [Google]
1399972769090.gif
442KB, 441x270px
>>54520894
But...why?
>>
>>54521112
My best guess is that it provides space for the Dolphin crew members to swim about and be free. Because Dolphins are integral to astrogation.

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Dolphin
>>
>>54521173
this BS went no further than Roddenberry leaving TNG and Star Trek as a whole, and thank god for it.
>>
>>54521173
>Cetacean Ops is a thing
What the actual ass, Roddenberry? That's a pretty strange place to take things.

However, this means that it may be plausible that an all-dolphin crew could exist on a Federation starship. They'd use Exocomps or other similar robots for maintenance issues and would be traveling the galaxy looking for the best fish. I'd watch that show.
>>
>>54521481
You should look into Startide Rising by David Brin
>>
File: ships.jpg (2MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
ships.jpg
2MB, 2592x1936px
Just picked up two of this set, plus the one with the refit Enterprise, Reliant, and a K't'inga. I'll be contriving bases for the Constitutions so I can use these as miniatures in Star Trek: Adventures

Should be a fun painting project too.
>>
>>54521173
Roddenberry was going Full Lucas before it was cool.
>>
>>54521481
There was a big fad for dolphins in science fiction in the 70s and 80s, with all those studies about how intelligent they are.
>>
>>54521904
Now I want the adventures of USS Seaworld.
>>
>>54521718
2500th scales are easy and fun. Also cheep to kitbash away and not burn your wallet.
Made the Concordia from last thread out of one.
>>
>>54520894
>USS Marital Aid
>>
>>54522012
I'm doing a pre-TOS thing. Considering making the Ares class from Prelude to Axanar out of the Miranda.
>>
File: 1398103837397.jpg (37KB, 267x299px) Image search: [Google]
1398103837397.jpg
37KB, 267x299px
>>54521173
>Lieutenant Dolph, set a course for Muon 8 at warp 6
>click click eeeeee eeeeeeee eee (aye aye, Captain!)
>>
>>54521977
I believe it was called SeaQuest DSV
>>
>>54522730
God I loved that show as a kid!
>>
>>54523009
I somehow missed the season where they went to an alien planet so was watching the show then all of a sudden there's a flashback to stuff I'd not seen at the start of the new season and now there's an alien on board. The fuck was going on with that show...

Either way there's some sneaky references in TNG to it because the effects guys and the like were on good terms.
>>
File: sort of ares.jpg (1MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
sort of ares.jpg
1MB, 2592x1936px
Update: Made something that sort of looks like the Ares class out of the Wrath-of-Khan era Constitution. Its way too big to be right, but my players won't really know or care.
>>
Asked in the last thread but does anyone know if the Decipher, Inc Star Trek RPG is good or not? I'm thinking of running a small game on Roll20 that centers on the party finding an asteroid that is filled with an ancient weapons cache from an unknown species and they only have a short amount of time until both the Romulans and Klingons move in on it as well.
>>
>>54523562
From what I've seen it's ok but not awesome. Comparable with the LUG system, but not quite the same focus despite a lot of similarities.
>>
>>54523894
So what system would you guys recommend for someone looking to do some space adventure?

I'm specifically thinking turn of the 25th century and sticking the crew in the ass end of the beta quadrant just to have somewhere newish to check out.
>>
>>54524456
Star Trek: Adventures is really good if you can get your hands on a PDF. The mechanics follow the themes really well, especially the Momentum and Threat systems.
>>
Is there any more information on what the New World Economy is like and how exactly it works? For my own purposes I'm trying to get more of a handle on what Earth is like beyond just the Federation because it's something that has been woefully neglected I feel in light of just assuming humanity is mary sue perfect.
>>
>>54525342
At the core of it, automation, replicators, and extremely cheap power means that the Federation can provide for its entire citizenry without them having to work to keep the economy running. This means that people across the federation can focus on doing whatever they like, which tends to be whatever they find personally fulfilling. Picard's father ran a vineyard, there's plenty of civilian scientists, etc. The one character we've seen who didn't fit in well at all was Bashir's father, who constantly changed jobs because he couldn't find anything he really enjoyed.

As of the TOS era there was still money being used, with Credits mentioned in several episodes, but by the time of The Voyage Home, the Federation had apparently transited to a moneyless economy. It's possible that the Credits mentioned were gold pressed latinum though.

Obviously, capitalism and other money-based economies still thrive outside the federation and on its fringes. Even with replicators, scarcity still exists in places, but this is the exception rather than the rule.
>>
>>54525499
>Even with replicators, scarcity still exists in places, but this is the exception rather than the rule.
This actually may not be true. The Klingons expand to acquire resources and territory, which they wouldn't need with replicators. It may be that their replicators are simple and cannot produce higher elements/objects the way Federation ones can.

The Cardies definitely have resource issues as well, making them not a part of this "replicators are magical" economy.

It looks like only really the Feds work on this principle, and even then, it has been noted that they can't make literally everything and that what they can make is limited by power generation, so some things are just easier to mine and carry manually.
>>
>>54525593
In at least one episode of DS9, it's pointed out that replicators actually use stocks of pre-processed proteins and carbohydrates to produce food. He's specifically talking about the replicators onboard a runabout. Meanwhile, Industrial Replicators exist - the Federation sends some to Cardassia, and several times it's noted that replications aren't perfect, especially with biological stuff.

We know Replicators operate on similar principles to transporters. Transporters turn stuff into energy and then convert it back into matter. Replicators can apparently either turn energy directly into matter of the desired form(with some materials being hard to replicate) or they can turn existing stocks of raw materials into finished products. With how much power an energy/matter conversion would take, it's probably more effective to work with raw materials, so more efficiency-minded powers like the Klingons would focus on expanding into more territory to get more resources, rather than on building more solar power collectors and reactors to turn huge amounts of energy into hard-to-find materials.

TL;DR: Like any economy, the Federation's post-scarcity economy is complicated.
>>
File: beamup.gif (2MB, 325x244px) Image search: [Google]
beamup.gif
2MB, 325x244px
>one year after launch
>Gale Force 9's site still says the new expansions for Star Trek Ascendancy are slated for "early 2017" release
>don't even know if they'll be available for demo let alone purchase at Gen Con
>>
>>54525795
I talked to the guys at Origins. The Ferengi and the Cardies are supposed to be at GenCon, along with maybe a small amount of the Borg. The Cardies are done enough that they were being played at Origins, for what that's worth. Also, that game is sweet as fuck.
>>
>>54525729
>>54525593
>>54525499

This is good stuff. The Federation still has to deal with governments that still have a scarcity based resources so does that mean the world government (i.e. the government body for earth and the solar system not so much the federation) basically handles the bulk of business transactions and dealings? Also, I recall an episode where what's his name goes to the academy and one of his friends talks about blowing all of his credits on transporter trips back home, do they explain anywhere how people go about getting stuff beyond the basics?
>>
>>54525833
That was transporter credits. The idea, as implied in the dialogue, is that people only get so many uses of the transporter per time period (month, I think it was) and those are tracked as "transporter credits". Makes sense, energy ain't actually free, so don't let people act like it is.
>>
>>54525833
There's a mention or two of "transporter credits" on Earth, which seems to be some sort of rationing? >>54525889 makes a good point.

Anyway - it's clear most people have replicators in the home (in one episode, Keiko O'Brien finds the concept of someone preparing food with her hands disgusting) and replicators can make most stuff beyond the basics. There's probably access to industrial replicators on a basis of need if you need something specialized.
>>
>>54525911
>>54525889

Yeah, that's the stuff I wanted to get more of a grip on. Long story short I'm trying to come up with a good concept for a TT based game where the PCs are primarily on Earth/in the solar system as basically cops. While it's not talked about a whole lot I imagine there is still plenty of illegal shit that goes on and people who want to trade for things you can't make with replicators (or may not be legal to have/make in the solar system) So that's where I'm trying to get at ultimately with my questions.
>>
>>54525833
In short: nope, because economics are incredibly incidental to what what going on, and the idea of working out a future-economy that's almost/is lacking scarcity is a ton of work for little gain in writing stories.

We have hints and that's about it. Everything else is extrapolation.
>>
>>54525911
>Keiko O'Brien
Oh Miles, why oh why did you marry the Japanese Hate Ghost? You were perfectly happy as you were, but then you just had to marry Keiko, the worst wife since Eva Braun.

Also, anon, why do you namefag? Not super chuffed about it, but I find it unusual if it doesn't serve a purpose and it doesn't seem to. Mind joining the rest of us?
>>
>>54525983
He's the dude prepping a game where his PCs are aboard the USS Excalibur and shit is going to hit the fan soon in game. Calls his campaign "The Sword in the Stone"
>>
>>54525983
Oh, I started out in here talking about a game of Star Trek Adventures I'm going to run where the players are the bridge crew of the USS Excalibur at Axanar. I wanted to be able to put what I said into context while talking my ideas, then forgot I had it on.

Also it's because Keiko's a Cute.

>>54526036
Honestly I'm really proud of putting the Excalibur in a hidden asteroid base base just for the pun.
>>
>>54525968

If it gets to the point where I have to make shit up I certainly will. One of the hard parts with keeping in the spirit of Star Trek is that it very much ignores it's own setting for narrative convenience.

I mean, you look at the sort of places that the main characters had like Kirk's home during one of the movies and how decked out it was. He was a collector and I imagine that doesn't mean he was some kind of greedy materialist so why can't other people work to get stuff beyond basic nesscesities and holodeck time? A part of me would like to think if people wanted to pursue things like working for an alien copororation or whatever it's just as valid as wanted to lounge about and contemplate the nature of the universe (or be a scientist)
>>
>>54526074
There's no reason to think that international businesses can't operate for the sake of profit in Federation space. The issue is finding customers who have gold-pressed latinum to spend.
>>
>>54526036
>>54526064
Hey, that's fair. Was just curious. I spend a lot of time in /btg/ with some namefags who're alright, so I'm not against it, just wondered what was up with it. You namefag to your heart's content, EA.

>>54526074
So, Trek sorta glosses over a lot of this kind of thing, but I always found it reasonable to think about it like a living wage country: the Federation will provide you good housing, a good education, replicators for your food/clothing/furniture requirements, and other basic requirements of living. Anything else, you gotta go figure out yourself. You want antiques and collectibles, like Kirk? Go be a famous ship's captain and earn credits to buy that shit from aliens (in DS9, it is heavily implied that Starfleet officers do get paid, how else can they pay their tab at Quark's?). You want to be a scientist? Go do science (the Fed will give you a basic lab) and make a name for yourself, discover some shit or do something amazing and you'll get funding from interested parties who want to see you succeed at whatever it is.

Shit like that, you get the picture.
>>
>>54526178
The point to keep in mind is that, in the Federation, money is a means, not an end. Most humans don't live their lives for the sake of getting rich. Those who do tend to end up on the outskirts of Federation space like that arms dealer who worked with Quark in one ep of DS9.
>>
>>54526227
This is true but it is a mindset thing. I have no doubt that the Feds do actually use credits/latinum/whatever, but they don't really care about it beyond needing it as a method of interacting with other cultures. Internally, it isn't what matters, work and skill is what matters. This is why Julian's dad is legit in the Federation: he works hard, even if he doesn't stick with something for too long, so no one really minds him bouncing from role to role.
>>
File: star-trek_TNG_prime-directive_6.jpg (21KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
star-trek_TNG_prime-directive_6.jpg
21KB, 400x400px
Three things I have to say about Discovery:

1. What the fuck did they do to Mudd?

2. What the fuck did they do to Klingons?

3. The Orville is looking like better Trek than Trek is.
>>
>>54523512
hell that would be great if you moved the base of the pylons to the top of the hull, then the nacelles hang down even with the hull and reduce the ships cross section.
>>
>>54526365
>3. The Orville is looking like better Trek than Trek is.

I imagine because it makes no qualms about being utopian. It's probably the first tv show I actually want to watch and I don't really watch tv.

>>54526141
There are plenty of customers who want and will trade latinum which is all the various aliens and humans who are interested in doing it. especially when you consider the act of doing so to be an extended hobby where the goal isn't to horde money but do and be a part of economics or some other venture that allows you to get stuff like >>54526178 describes.

By the way, this is all really good stuff and I appreciate you enduring my questions which have no doubt been asked on here before
>>
File: CurryType_USS_Curry.jpg (48KB, 760x435px) Image search: [Google]
CurryType_USS_Curry.jpg
48KB, 760x435px
Would anyone be interested in trying to make a fairly simple system for Star Trek? Something that could result in character and ship creation within minutes rather than 30 minutes+?

I'm thinking there should be like 4 stats you roll (Presence, Brawn, Dexterity and Wits?), a small skill system based on the various subbranches (such as Science [Xenobiology] or Operations [Engingeering]). Race would modify 1 stat and 1 skill and allow you to pick one of two/three racial abilities (Vulcan Mind Meld or Nerve Pinch, for instance).

Ships would use 4 stats as well (shields, weapons, hull and engines) but those are not rolled but premade based on what ship it is. Each ship would also have a number of boons and flaws (sharp turning boon, weak hull flaw, etc.) that you roll on a table for.

What do you all think? Sound decent and easy enough?
>>
>>54527757
Star Trek Adventures is almost that. If you want quick starts, you could do the style where you fill in your character sheet as you play rather than building it all ahead of time
>>
>>54527757
This is basically the guts of the Modiphius system, but they get weirdly crunchy in places. I feel like for anything but larger engagements ships should be crunchy, since so much of trek involves circumventing the limitations of your tech.
>>
>>54526365
>3. The Orville is looking like better Trek than Trek is.

Apparently MacFarlane said that in an interview, or rather he wasn't personally into the direction Trek is going into and started thinking about what he would want out of a Trek show. I think it's being pitched as a comedy, but it looks more like it's just light-hearted and personally that's a-o-k by me.
>>
>>54527933
>>54527937
I want to try and avoid the crunch as much as possible. The ships should be a little more crunchy but not much to keep the gameplay/ship creation moving without having to stop and review rules and rules and rules.
>>
>>54528044
Ah, I assumed the ship(s) would be premade by the GM, and less by the party.
>>
File: ships.jpg (1MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
ships.jpg
1MB, 2592x1936px
>>54528044
Maybe just try adapting Savage Worlds or some other slim system?

>>54527956
I was hoping for Galaxy Quest: The Series, but this sounds good too.

Also: got ships set up for my campaign minis. Just a quick and easy thing. Getting the Excalibur's name and registry number on will be harder though...
>>
>>54528058
I anticipate the first ships would, but once the party is moving up in rank and making it to where they are captains of their own ships and are part of a fleet sort of thing they could get into the nitty-gritty themselves.
>>54528074
>Maybe just try adapting Savage Worlds or some other slim system?
Sadly I have never had a chance to look over Savage Worlds...
>>
>>54525593
Klingons expand because they feel like it
>>
>>54528283
>the deviantart furries of the alpha quadrant
>>
the Star Trek: Adventures campaign I plan on running in person: An attempt to evoke the classic TOS feel not by just pandering to the original stories but by evoking the original themes of addressing modern politics in the guise of the future and portraying life beyond what society may strictly allow, mixed up with fun adventures and alien fightan

the Star Trek: Adventures campaign I plan on running online: "THE FERENGI CANNOT EARN PROFIT IF YOU DISABLE ITS HAND..."
>>
>>54529254
>"THE FERENGI CANNOT EARN PROFIT IF YOU DISABLE ITS HAND..."
Wut?
>>
>>54529321
It's not even accurate.
>>
>>54529321
It's a meme that started with Starship Troopers(film) but is now closely associated with Space Station 13.

Basically I plan to run a funny thing made up of "Deep Space Station K-13"
>>
File: 2014-09-12_00001.jpg (640KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
2014-09-12_00001.jpg
640KB, 1920x1080px
>>54525729
>Replicators can apparently either turn energy directly into matter of the desired form(with some materials being hard to replicate)
I take extreme exception to this, because how it's been shown on the show, this can't be the case, for several logical reasons. (I also don't believe that the transporters turn matter to energy - there's talk of "matter streams" and stuff with transporters - and that doesn't logically make sense either, but the show has also, in a typical contradictory fashion talked about transporters turning matter to energy, so I'll leave it at that). If it was matter-energy transformation, there would be no fuel problems, ever - just stick whatever matter (even your enemies!) into the transporter/big replicator (which are kinda the same thing), and boom! Fuel! Also have the issue of mining still existing: if replicators worked by turning matter into energy, you could literally make anything into anything, but there are clearly mines for specific substances. However, if replicators "merely" just are stupid transporters, rearranging molecules and atoms, you would NEED a base substance to work with, not just have it be more convenient. This is why GPL can't be replicated - latinum is apparently a base substance, and you would need a stock of latinum to make GPL in the first place - and latinum is the thing itself that is valuable. Though it would be interesting if latinum turned out to be some sort of living metal microorganism or the like.
>>
>>54529942
Replicators work at the subatomic level. They do need base material to convert, but they can also recycle waste material the same way. That said, no process is ever 100% efficient and some energy will always be lost in the process, so restocking on material and energy is still needed. Additionally, there are materials unable to be replicated. Usually whatever's convenient for the plot, but including dilithium and I think also whatever antimatter they use, so they can't just replicate infinite fuel for warp speed, even if the reaction was 100% efficient.

This is entirely speculation, but the Ferengi probably chose GPL as a physical currency specifically because latinum was unable to be replicated.
>>
>>54530035
>>54529942

I wish they would have gone to more depth of what can and cannot be replicated or, at the very least what would be least efficient in trying to replicate.
>>
>>54530100
The more detail you give in this week's script, the harder it is to write next week's script

>>54530035
Makes sense that antimatter would be impossible to replicate, it's made of different quarks.
>>
>>54530137
>The more detail you give in this week's script, the harder it is to write next week's script

You say this as if that ever stopped them from bullshitting something together or just putting together an episode where everyone spends the day inside of the holodecks
>>
>>54530137
Come to Quark's, Quark's is fun, come right now, don't walk, run!
>>
>>54530100
>>54530137
Replicating antimatter on a ship doesn't work because they are powered by antimatter. You'd be operating at a significant loss, if its even possible in the first place.
Dilithium has 4th dimensional crystal structure, and replicators can't grok that, so that's a no go as well.

Overall the impression is that it's hugely wasteful to energy > mass, so like someone said earlier it would make sense if they use stocks of proteins and such. That would probably only somewhat help though, evidenced by how voyager had to ration replicator use so severely for a while.
>>
>>54530393

Which makes me wonder even more at the industrial base of the federation to afford the amount of power needed to create vital levels of fuel for it's ships and the ships of the other federation members (assuming they rely upon their own industrial/economic abilities to handle these).

That said, as for the second part of your post maybe part of their trade was for protien/plant bases that they couldn't consume themselves and used for the replicators while relying upon the garden grown stuff they had on ship.
>>
>>54530570
Dilithium is relatively more common in the 2300s due to the discovery of cheap and easy recrystallization methods, so one could imagine the Federation is looking for other materials. Meanwhile, the Federation of the 2200s was nearly as voracious as the Klingon Empire, expanding massively to get more Dilithium.
>>
>>54530570
I like the idea that the Federation builds huge particle accelerator covered Dyson Swarms around useless stars to generate antimatter. Nothing like occluding half the galaxy so your starship crews don't have to eat canned peaches.
>>
>>54530637
Thanks to speed of light, they wouldn't even notice for years!
>>
>>54530614

I doubt the federation would shrink their industrial base just because you have a new process of producing dilitioum, if anything it's useful for trade purposes especially with non federation races who might have things you want or you're enticing them to join the federation.

>>54530637
I don't see why not, you'd think there would be several of them around our sun. it's not like they'd be big enough to ruin someone's view from earth
>>
What's your favorite ship, anons? Personally I love the Nebula because of how modular it is and how it is a great looking workhorse ship. Need a great explorer/research vessel? Sensor module. Need some more firepower? Tactical module. I'm sure there are other modules in the works that could work (and not those silly mini nacelles)
>>
>>54530833
>>54530833

I'm going to be a total faggot and say I absolutely love the aesthetics of the Nu Trek universe. Then again, my main draw to the Nu Trek is primarily how the aesthetics so now when I think of star trek in general it's through that lens.
>>
>>54530833
I love the Akira design. It's just such a pretty ship that looks like a logical evolution of the Miranda in the TNG era.
>>
>>54530833
Conqueror class.

Love dem lasers and nukes.
>>
>>54530833
I've loved the Nebula ever since that episode of TNG where O'Brien's old captain is running around blowing up Cardasian freighters. They give the Cardassians that fucking transponder access codes to the ship a Galor ambushes the Nebula, it takes a direct hit, fades back and, without shields, blows up the battlecruiser. What fucking workhorse.
>>
File: IMG_2758.jpg (297KB, 1512x864px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2758.jpg
297KB, 1512x864px
>>54530833
Gotta be the Nebbie
>>
>>54529942
>if replicators worked by turning matter into energy, you could literally make anything into anything, but there are clearly mines for specific substances
Dilithium and latinum can't be replicated, this is a core aspect of the setting.
>>
>>54532507
But then that begs the question.
Why cant you replicate those things?
>>
Antimatter might not be impossible to replicate. It probably isn't done because it's pointless to do so. As there is some loss in the process, you spend energy reserves (which come from antimatter) to simply get less of it. And it's also volatile.
>>
>>54532507
>>54533195
With Latinum if I remember correctly it was some subatomic-out-of-phase mabojambo that replicators couldn't crunch so the Ferengi chose it as non conterfeitable base of their economy
>>
>>54525342
>>54525499
Cheaper to replicate free neetbux for everyone than pay riot police to keep the starving poor under control.
>>
>>54529942
I thought latinum's sole value was that it was impossible to Replicate. Aside from that, it had literally no practical use.
>>
>>54529942
Star Trek isn't the setting for shoving your enemies into the gas tank.

If it were that kind of setting, you'd see way more of beaming people into space (or into the gas tank) so you can take their ship, or that sort of thing.
>>
>>54521112
Looks like a cooling chamber for a giant as fuck cannon.
>>
>>54520559
I swear to god you pansies in starfleet are so useless. You cannot even fire a disruptor properly, and you break on your first hour of combat.
>t. Chief engineer in the Klingon Defense Forces.
>>
>>54536111
>Klingon
>Engineer
>>
File: 20170706_162045.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170706_162045.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>54521718
So I was looking into star trek models and decided to go with lego instead, to each their own, but how do you all think this came out? I've done these two so far but the Nautilus seems like it could be fun
>>
>>54537008
I envy your supply of grey bricks
>>
>>54537008
Adorable.
>>
>>54536936
>Human
>Security
>>
>>54537008
Gimme a better shot on that Defiant, anon. Also, did you make stands for them or are they just sitting on the table? I ask because the Intrepid has a rounded hull on the bottom.
>>
>>
>>54536111
I swear to the Elements you slovenly barbarians in the KDF are so pathetic. You can't even protect your border worlds properly, and you need the Humans to save you whenever you get in over your heads.
>t. every Romulan ever
>>
>>
>>54527956
>tfw even fucking MacFarlane is able to call out CBS on their bullshit
>>
>>54536936
Klingons had to have engineers at some point, although they were probably closer to /k/ommandos with machine shops than eggheads.
>>
>>54536111
>klingon engineering
>needs to fire a disruptor at your warp core to persuade it to work
You opinion is not relevant here.
>>
>>54543432
>fire a disrupter
>not engaging that pa'taq of a warp core with your bat'leth like an honorable klingon warrior.
>>
>>54543432
Klingon Engineering
>A Klingon "Warp Core"
>Three (Or four on larger ships) elderly klingon warriors sitting in a circle telling the greatest tales of heroic battle and grandest honor until the very fabric of space tears and allows the ship to slip through into subspace.
>Speed is determined by how much bloodwine they are fed
>The "Warp Core" breaks down when one of them falls asleep
>It's repaired by slapping one of them and calling them an old useless fool
>>
>>54543612
So bistromatics?
>>
File: sides.gif (1MB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
sides.gif
1MB, 640x480px
>>54543550
>>
>>54520559
Cool Stuff Inc is having a sale on Star Trek Heroclix.
>>
>>54543550
>Using my bat'leth on the warp core until it works again
>Captain revealed as a traitor to the empire
>Go to the bridge and hit him with my bat'leth until the ship works
>>
>>54543719
>bistromatics
Bistromathics, get it right.

But yes.
>>
>>54544091
The wiki has bistromathics link to bistromatics and I didn't care enough to dig out my copy.
>>
>>54544172
So, from Wikipedia, we get this quote from Life, the Universe, and Everything: "Bistromathics itself is simply a revolutionary new way of understanding the behaviour of numbers. Just as Albert Einstein's general relativity theory observed that space was not an absolute but depended on the observer's movement in space, and that time was not an absolute, but depended on the observer's movement in time, so it is now realized that numbers are not absolute, but depend on the observer's movement in restaurants."

I'm pretty sure it's bistromathics but now I kinda want to find my copy of the book and check, if I knew where it was. Still, doesn't matter, Klingon warp drive works on exactly the same principles.
>>
>>54533195
Dilithium exists in 4 dimensions, I think.
>>
File: Excelsior_class.jpg (406KB, 1615x622px) Image search: [Google]
Excelsior_class.jpg
406KB, 1615x622px
>>54530833
Excelsior all the way. I have nothing to back it up but they always reminded me of the US's Immediate postwar heavy cruisers like the Des Moines, sort of a marriage of muscle and practicality.
>>
File: ExcelsiorSchematic.jpg (411KB, 2599x1327px) Image search: [Google]
ExcelsiorSchematic.jpg
411KB, 2599x1327px
>>54544537
With nice, clean lines
>>
File: alkaselsior.jpg (23KB, 500x325px) Image search: [Google]
alkaselsior.jpg
23KB, 500x325px
>>54544537
>>54544567
>With time to spare Carson proposed that George come up with his own ideas. He did, and later explained, "When you're designing something you want to come up with a take on it that will drive the design. At the time I was really into Japanese design, so I thought, "OK, what would the "Enterprise" look like if the Japanese designed it?" That was the basis of what I came up with for the "Excelsior""

Just thought you would find that interesting. Also, enjoy a pic of what the excelsior could have looked like!
>>
>>54545026
Wow that would have been awful to see on screen. Thank the gods that we got the Excelsior we did.
>>
File: heavycruiser_excelsior_proto2.jpg (120KB, 1129x904px) Image search: [Google]
heavycruiser_excelsior_proto2.jpg
120KB, 1129x904px
>>54545103
They certainly looked at a bunch of different options.
>>
>>54545148
Ok, I like that one. Reminds me a little of my Chimera on STO.
>>
File: 20170705_191559.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170705_191559.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>54537563
thank you

>>54537678
Here you go. But I think that's is the pre fixed voyager in the background. I did a retrofit. They are on stands

Can someone help explain the nautilus class? I see there is a uss nautilus and then the nautilus class. But they look very different. What's the deal?
>>
>>54545974
So, the USS Nautilus appears to be a Miranda-class ship from DS9 that fought against the Borg and the Dominion.

The Nautilus class seems to be a STO temporal warship that looks like a pizza cutter.

I'd build the USS Nautilus, not the Nautilus class.
>>
>>54545974
Oh shit, also, love those figs. Really like the Defiant. You should make a few others, like the Constitution and the Prometheus.
>>
File: tumblr_od3to3cIWC1rzu2xzo1_1280.jpg (79KB, 869x419px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_od3to3cIWC1rzu2xzo1_1280.jpg
79KB, 869x419px
>>54546011
Thank you for the very concise breakdown. I was actually leaning at the latter as I kinda like the style of pic related. What makes you say the former?
>>
>>54546025
Thank you. I'm honored. The defiant was really a proof of concept. It needs to be updated with more rounded sides.
>>
>>54546082
It's a fucking pizza cutter, not a starship. And besides, the Miranda class is beautiful and classic. The Nautilus class is a terrible STO abomination of a design.

>>54546105
They're pretty sweet. Keep making ships and posting them, fresh OC is always welcome here.
>>
twitch /geekandsundry
Some of those Critical Role fags are streaming ST:A right now.
>>
>>54530035
>GPL
>not copyable
I'd like to interject for a moment.
>>
>>54530833
Nebula and Excelsior, but also the Constellation. I love the design, the in universe philosophy of use (</nutnfancy>), and the idea of this scrappy overworked jumble of TMP era parts keeping up as a light cruiser long after the Miranda class was taken off the (pre Borg) front lines. My headcanon for why we didn't see many Constellations during DS9 is that the spaceframes had just been worn out too much, and they were expensive enough to build/upgrade to 2370 spec that they just cranked out more Excelsiors.
>>
>>54520559
ENT 3 is what VOY shoulda been and ENT 4 is what ENT 1-2 shoulda been.
>>
>>54547699
Watching so I can learn about problem spots in the system and memorize them.
>>
>>54547699
>one admiral
>one captain
>two commanders
>and a fucking ensign
Fuck is that butterbar doing in this group.
>>
>>54548632
You need to get better at reading insignia. That's a captain, a commander, two lieutenant commanders, and an Ensign.

Equivalent of a group being made up of Picard, Riker, Beverly, Data, and Ro.

Also, I have no idea who these people are, but the GM does a really good Emergency Medical Hologram voice.
>>
>>54548659
Fugg, I forgot about the bars. Could swear I remember Picard with three full pips and one hollow.
>>
>>54546163
Anon, every Feddie ship with a round saucer section is a pizza cutter.
>>
>>54530833
Double D all the way, though the Valdore is cool too.
>>
>>54527757
Working on this now. I'm doing it in a way so that each ability is rolled via 2d6 and modifies your base skills. Skills are untrained (decrease chance by 1), trained increase chance by 1, and specialized (increase chance by 3).

Ships "abilities" are all "defenses" and "skills" at the same time (target number for enemy to hit, number to roll under to achieve a task such as increase speed for a round or repair the system if it's damaged, etc.).

System is basically "roll 3d6, roll under the number of your skill/ability/etc." Still working on ship combat ideas for now.
>>
>>54534640
They do make stuff out of Latinum though, I remember Lwaxana Troi giving Odo some jewlery that was made out of it.
>>
>>54550208
I don't remember that, but maybe it was made traditionally, by like a jeweler? Although I seem to recall that latinum is liquid at room temperature...
>>
>>54550208
Emeralds aren't good for much and we still stick them on jewelry.

Given that latinum is liquid at room temperature, latinum jewelry is probably an alloy of some sort, but the point is, make your jewelry out of expensive shit to show off how rich you are.
>>
>>54550208
And gold was useless before electronics were a thing, same principle.
>>
File: ded cardie.jpg (57KB, 607x445px) Image search: [Google]
ded cardie.jpg
57KB, 607x445px
>>54520559
>ywn work for the united earth space probe agency
>>
>>54520559
I'm watching TOS "Court Martial" and Kirk seems to be under the immediate command of a Black man. Did this cause any backlash in '67? Would it have?
>>
>>54550689
I... You know, I don't think it did. I've never read anywhere that it did at the very least.
>>
>>54550689
A quick google search turns up nothing, but Star Trek was very deliberate about putting black people in positions of respect and power. Uhura was placed directly behind Kirk so that stations in the South couldn't cut her out of the frame, and in "The Ultimate Computer" they spent fifteen minutes building up Dr. Daystrom as a genius who'd revolutionized computer science before letting us know he's black. Between those two and the mind control kiss, Kirk's CO being black probably got lost in the background.
>>
>>54550765

I don't mind those things I just wish they made them more meaningful. Just like in the new movie where you have Sulu's husband but he never fucking says or does anything except remind you that an important individual to the crew of Enterprise is on the Space station.

If you're going to do the diversity thing don't treat it like a prop. That said, I suppose the series isn't enlightened enough to have two handsome ensigns having a go when fucking green skinned aliens (and cat girls) is the norm
>>
>>54552161
The problem is that making things important runs the risk of beating the audience over the head with it and defeating the purpose of the idealistic future. The whole point of Star Trek's future is that it's one where shit like that isn't a big deal, and stories involving bigotry are handled through metaphor, such as "The Outcast." Sulu's husband is just as meaningful as if he was Sulu's wife, no more and no less. Same with Jadzia and the other Trill woman in "Rejoined." Characters exist for reasons other than "hey, look at this gay guy, look how progressive we are."
>>
>>54552304

I agree. It is a balancing act because, like you said, it could be taken as beating people over the head with it if you draw too much attention to it but that's not an excuse not to make use of it when you can. When I mentioned Sulu's husband I would have like for them to have interacted as if they were a normal family just having a scene where Sulu is checking in to see how their daughter is doing, to me, is a step towards normalizing it instead of treating it as "Oh man, a main character is gay and has a husband." That's what I'm getting or at least to get at at least
>>
>>54552431
>>54552304
personally I'm annoyed at how Abramstrek handled Sulu. Takei himself didn't want nuSulu to be gay because the original character was straight.

Furthermore in the Naked Time Roddenbary went to Takei and said 'I want to give you a samurai sword' and Takei said "I don't want to be the token Jap. I took fencing in school, give me a rapier."

Like its fine, it was pretty unobtrusive but the whole thing smacks as being really tone deaf to how TOS Sulu was portrayed and having a gay character in the background for the sake of it.
>>
>>54552304
>hey, look at this gay guy, look how progressive we are

Meanwhile, in the Dr. Who writing dungeon...
>>
>>54552555
I'm with you on this.

That fold-out katana seen in the trailer for the 2009 film confirmed for me they'd missed the point (as I see it) and really were just making an action film with a veneer of star trek pasted on for marketing purposes.
>>
>>54552888
basically yes, Abrams doesn't get Trek and that's clear in how he set things. Sure TOS had two fisted exploration of space but Kirk was an explorer bringing the word of a just society. Picard was the diplomat bringing reason to an unreasonable universe. Sisko was man trying to make an unfair, dangerous universe a little bit more civilized and safe.

Abramstrek Kirk has destiny on his side and is there to have sex and shoot things. I'd be fine if it were its own property but its a reboot trying to use the Trek name to make money.

I mean all the series have had their fair share of bang bang shooty episodes but we also had character focused quiet episodes. Kirk spent time laughing at himself and getting involved in strange campy shenanigans. Picard traded wits with gods and had moments of introspection. Sisko tried to raise his son in the midst of a quadrant slowly coming apart at the seams.

Abramstrek Bones steals booze from his crewmates lockers and shares it with his captain.
>>
>>54553113
Tbh all of the Trek movies have been somewhat more action oriented compared to the series, well except the Motionless Picture, but that was kind a disaster in the movie theaters and we got lucky break with Wrath of Khan being actually good movie.
>>
>>54553389
Most of the movies are kind of trash to be honest. Though for different reasons. If nothing else they do give us hilarious moments like those buggies in the TNG movies and watching the TOS cast enact scenes that they're like 10 years too old to do.
>>
>>54553389
Voyage Home wasn't action oriented at all. The one time they try to shoot someone the phaser doesn't even work.
>>
>>54553389
On ratio compared to the original series, the first six, hell even Generations throw that in too, are about equivalent really in terms of action with usually a couple of brawls, a bit of a chase, maybe a ship shoots at another. Really not an action focus, but punctuation.

Though I originally spelt that as 'punchtuation' which seems even more appropriate.
>>
>>54553389
I'd say there's a difference between action to move the plot along and the buggy scene in Nemesis and most of the stuff in the JJ Trek movies. The Enterprise and the Excelsior have to blow up the Chang warbird to get down to the surface to prevent the plot from succeeding, rather than like the motorcycle sequence in Beyond.
>>
>>54531116
>>54553854
Who designed these? The nacelle geometry is all wrong.
>>
>>54553854
There is also the fact that movie from the 80's would seem slowpaced compared to what we have nowdays. It kinda irks me when trekkies go "older films wheren't action oriented " it's just the pacing of the action in older films, they are not fast paced with action scenes like JJtrek films where.Doesn't mean there wasn't heavier emphasis on action scenes on them. Hell I didn't like the 2nd JJtrek movie at all, but I do think Beyond was alot better as movie and the first one was in somewhere between the two.
>>
File: Buffalo Class.gif (8KB, 1600x452px) Image search: [Google]
Buffalo Class.gif
8KB, 1600x452px
Took a shot at an alternate Niagra class with the Probert Ambassador parts. Does this work slightly better?
>>
>>54554204
Nacelle geometry is fine. The main one is the bulge at the rear, the front ones are just stabilisers.
>>
>>54554880
well the engines are a whole lot more fitting and mounted better
>>
>>54554880
It still can't make any meaningful use of the shuttle bay. You might be better off placing it on top of the secondary hull just behind the neck.
>>
>>54555015
I was thinking it might balance better if it were 4 nacelle, or had a mirrored secondary hull above the saucer.

>>54555046
The Niagara (correct spelling this time) had trouble accessing the shuttle bay? The Nebula sure did and I was thinking of doing something similar based on it.
>>
>>54555297
>The Niagara (correct spelling this time) had trouble accessing the shuttle bay? The Nebula sure did and I was thinking of doing something similar based on it.
Not due to the aesthetics of the ship, but the fact that the warp core needs relatively large conduits to run to the nacelles. Now that you've placed the shuttle bay directly behind those nacelles, you've bottlenecked cargo transfer across the ship.
>>
>>54554884
That's even worse! They need to come in pairs.

I do like the designs tho.
>>
File: Buffalo Jump.gif (13KB, 1542x768px) Image search: [Google]
Buffalo Jump.gif
13KB, 1542x768px
>>54555350
I see. You're right the hull is rather thin through there. It's a good point
Here I thought something like this would have been worse.
>>
>>54555483
There you've just got a Federation class. It'd be easier to just move the shuttle bay, or something. Put it on the saucer as an experiment in "can we do this and make it work with the nacelles?"
>>
>>54555514
Federation class is fine, it established the 3 nacelle = dreadnought thing after all, and it's a placement that I think it easier to visually balance.

>>54555483
I like this. If you make sure to curve out the pylons for the side nacelles more than Probert's design I think it would look quite decent.

Make sure to replace the forward torpedo launcher though (I think it shifted to the saucer underside on the Niagra?) and have a decent aft-facing array of weaponry too (3rd nacelle has taken it's mounting area I believe. And you'll have to space the impulse engines out more on the saucer.
>>
File: Icarus+Mercury.jpg (76KB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
Icarus+Mercury.jpg
76KB, 1680x1050px
Speaking of places where nacelles shouldn't go, I know it's heretical, but i quite enjoy this silly ship. It's surprisingly fun to use.

Icarus with some Mercury bits on it.
>>
File: Maelstrom Class.png (450KB, 770x514px) Image search: [Google]
Maelstrom Class.png
450KB, 770x514px
>>54556498
Beep beep, superior ship incoming, even if the bussard collectors are nearly touching the hull. Too bad there isn't a T6 "all the guns" version.
>>
Side note on ship design - I've always figured that the Defiant didn't have Bussard collectors. Its role as an Escort means it's always going to be running with a ship that does have them so it can get hydrogen from its partner(or top off at a station), and not having Bussard collectors lets it pull its nacelles close in and armor them better. Since nacelles seem to be a favorite target, it makes sense
>>
>>54556619
The Defiant most certainly does have Bussard collectors. That's the red bit on the front of the nacelle pod.
>>
>>54546163
By STO standards and doubly so for temporal ships, the Nautilus class is a beaut. Not that that's saying much.
>>
>>54552161
>>54552304
Honestly, having those kinds of things in the background is better. The whole point is that these people just happen to be around, and that there presence isn't treated like a big deal because it isn't. Sulu just happens to have a husband - what about it?

Contrast that approach to >>54552706, where in spite of my originally high hopes, they felt the need to mention that Bill was lesbian literally every second (or third? lost count after Oxygen, I think) episode, in an effort for such ebin progressiveness that STD seems eager to have.
>>
>>54556526
>flying Patrol Escorts
Your opinion is no longer relevant.
>>
>>54558264
>By STO standards
Cryptic have done just fine designing anything that isn't timecop, and they've done great on their TOS ships.
>>
>>54558451
Cryptic's 25th century designs are usually garbage with few exceptions, and I say this as someone who flies a Hestia.
>>
>>54556526
I don't even know what I'm looking at here. It's like Tron splooged all over a Warbird.
>>
File: ship 1.jpg (80KB, 1119x479px) Image search: [Google]
ship 1.jpg
80KB, 1119x479px
You see comrade, when have old ship and repair with whatever can find will never have to wory about pirates because they assume ship not worth stealing.
>>
>>54554204
These are the dildoships of Starfleet Museum
>>
File: protecting-the-peace-arcass.jpg (257KB, 1381x1000px) Image search: [Google]
protecting-the-peace-arcass.jpg
257KB, 1381x1000px
>>54560381
Gotta love a good phallic starship.
>>
File: 20170726160004_1.jpg (107KB, 1360x768px) Image search: [Google]
20170726160004_1.jpg
107KB, 1360x768px
I do love STO's caitian designs.
>>
Am I mis-remembering something here when I think there was a ship that was the product of joint human/romulan design? Am I thinking of something else?
>>
>>54560734
You might be thinking of the Defiant. It was Federation designed starship but it had a Romulan cloaking device installed.

Other than that, the only thin that comes to mind is the STO Romulan-Vulcan hybrid ship.
>>
>>54560734
The Defiant had a Romulan cloaking device. That's about it for hard canon.

In STO one of the big huge Romulan cruisers has a gimped multi-vector mode (can only launch one extra ship instead of splitting into three) that was based off stolen plans from the Prometheus.
>>
File: 20170725223913_1.jpg (144KB, 1360x768px) Image search: [Google]
20170725223913_1.jpg
144KB, 1360x768px
man you could probably have an entire campaign just exploring a dyson sphere.
>>
>>54560923
Granted that they have an internal surface area of 550,000,000 times that of the earth yes you could.

In fact you could house every man woman and child of the UFP and it's neighbours inside one and it would be roomy as fuck with impossibly vast stretches of wilderness between settlements. It would take light 16 minutes to go from one wall to the opposite but it would be blocked by the FUCKING SUN at it's heart.
>>
>>54530035
If replicators create matter (or antimatter) out of pure energy, you wouldn't be able to replicate infinite fuel no matter what (unless there's something I'm missing).

Matter+antimatter reactions release all the energy of the matter and antimatter you combine, but to make the fuel you'd need to spend energy making it. That means you'd spend at best as much energy making your fuel as you got out of it, do making the ship go and keeping the lights on would still eat away at your fuel reserves.

On the other hand, if you replicate antimatter and just mix it with random matter you have lying around that would probably work, but you'd still need to collect extra matter occasionally.
>>
>>54560923
The fact the sphere from Relics still exists bugs me to no end because the whole point of it being abandoned was because the star was unstable and it was literally impossible for anyone, including heavily shielded exploration starships, to survive inside for any extended length of time. Game should've had the first Dyson Sphere jump to the Delta Quadrant itself instead of having the Relics Dyson Sphere do that, then during the Iconian War they can do an episode where the player explores the Relics Dyson Sphere looking for intel they can use against the Iconians.
>>
>>54561108
Something a lot of people miss is that antimatter isn't a power source, its an energy storage method. Since it doesn't occur naturally, you'll always have to spend energy to create it, and because of physics the best you can manage is 50% efficiency. Replicators could get close to 100%, but there will always be a net loss. In an emergency though you could use the ships fusion reactors to create enough antimatter to get back to a starbase to refuel. This all assuming of course that the setting doesn't have some bullshit way of mining the stuff.
>>
>>54561108
>>54561244
Oh, and only about 70% of an antimatter reaction is usable particles/energy, and assuming they don't have a way of capturing neutrinos.
>>
File: 20170725193940_1.jpg (220KB, 1360x768px) Image search: [Google]
20170725193940_1.jpg
220KB, 1360x768px
>>54561134
yeah overall STO does a good job of patching up plotholes but they drop the ball sometimes.
>>
File: 20170727194707_1.jpg (49KB, 1360x768px) Image search: [Google]
20170727194707_1.jpg
49KB, 1360x768px
my 'Tactihobo' disguise is the perfect infiltration tactic
>>
>>54561108
>>54561244
>>54561268
There's a reason there are consistent mentions of fusion reactors aboard ships and stations.
>>
>>54560734
You might be thinking of the Pegasus? An Oberth that had a Fed built phase cloak in it. The Romulans found out and were none too pleased.
>>
>>54527956
Isn't Orville also backed by some of Trek's old guard?
>>
>>54562776
Well MacFarlane has previously managed to rope the entire TNG cast into a family guy episode pretty much just so he could to an on-screen reunion thing of his own, and has worked with Patrick Stewart for years on American Dad... so yeah, would not be surprised if he not only got public and perhaps technical backing from the cast but crew as well. It's not like CBS is employing them.
>>
>>54561930

The impulse engines are powered by fusion reactors (that's why they call them "impulse reactors" and occasionally say "impulse power").

There's warp power (from the m/am reactor), impulse power (deuterium fusion reactors), and backup/auxiliary power (probably batteries).
>>
>>54560734
Sela
>>
>>54562709
I mean are Romulans ever pleased.
>>
>>54552888
That thing needs an Ambassador-style "lip" around the shuttlebay door connecting the nacelle pylons

>>54561286
>>54560923
Atrox looks funny in chrome-if tinted purple, would look like a Covenant ship from Halo...
>>
File: 20170726170457_1.jpg (180KB, 1360x768px) Image search: [Google]
20170726170457_1.jpg
180KB, 1360x768px
>>54563801
I like the chrome because it does interesting things when it reflects the local environment
>>
>>54564138
I had one on my Caitian captain with mostly Caitian crew (that was expensive). It wasn't particularly good at anything other than looking good.
>>
File: 20170727224654_1.jpg (194KB, 1360x768px) Image search: [Google]
20170727224654_1.jpg
194KB, 1360x768px
>>54564304
admittedly its a vanity ship, I've managed to make it work via passive boosts and it really only shines with stuff like sensor burnouts and fighter spam.

Also; fuck the kobali.
>>
File: Kobali Zone.jpg (361KB, 1440x828px) Image search: [Google]
Kobali Zone.jpg
361KB, 1440x828px
>>54564352
Did they ever make a T6 variant of the Atrox? I haven't played since Delta ended.
>>
File: 20170727231438_1.jpg (172KB, 1360x768px) Image search: [Google]
20170727231438_1.jpg
172KB, 1360x768px
>>54564510
no but they released a pretty sweet looking caitian Escort for T6
>>
>>54564510

Statwise, the Jupiter is almost a straight upgrade on the Atrox.

>https://sto.gamepedia.com/Caitian_Atrox_Carrier

>https://sto.gamepedia.com/Jupiter_Class_Carrier
>>
A quick question. Trying to read into more about the United Earth ( or would it be United World?) Government in Memory Alpha. I'm assuming even in TNG and beyond it's still a thing even though Earth is pretty much the central point for the Federation of Planets? Also, given that numerous nations still maintain their own national identity does that mean that each nation is generally sovergin and acts more like a better running EU then a one world government and does this apply to the rest of the human settlements as well? I ask because I wonder how extensive the jurisdiction of a police force would be but then if I figure at that point it would be something akin to the FBI for the world government in that case rather than local police detectives.
>>
Is STO fun?
>>
>>54566131
My theory is that Earth gave up its sovereignty when the Federation was founded, and that's why it's the center of the Federation anything. The president of the Federation also seems to be the direct executive of Earth. Starfleet seems to have direct police powers on Earth. When there is an intra-Federation diplomatic issue (a la "Journey to Babel"), there are all sorts of ambassadors from the various planets, but it seems never one from Earth itself.
I can see this as being the only reason the Federation was able to form at all. All the other founders were mature space empires, of relatively equal footing, but Earth was the odd one out, being a week noob OPM. It's obviously in the interests of Earth to have something like the Federation, with everyone else defending them - obviously an unequal relationship. But if Earth gave up its independence completely, and its citizens still fall under all the rights and duties of a Federation citizen, that creates real buy-in with the other powers, as well as a truly neutral Federation power center.
>>54566330
Depends on what you're looking for.
>>
>>54566330
Like a heroin addiction.
It starts out well, then you realize you are damaging yourself and then you realize you cant stop.
Or you can stop but occasionally come around to see what is going on.
>>
>>54566357
Okay, I should probably stay away if I want to have any hope of finishing my second novel.
>>
>>54566344

Makes sense. It was confusing trying to figure out if the United Earth Government still existed underneath the Federation but I'm inclined to take your interpretation that Earth gave up it's autonomy to the Federation.

So I guess whatever police force would also be a Federation organization as well. To make sense of this i was also the same person asking about how the economy worked because in my mind I'm thinking I might try my hand at writing or, at the very least, have the basis for a Star Trek RP setting focused more on Earth and the Federation rather than Starfleet
>>
>>54566373
You'll never finish it, anon. Give up and join us on STO. It's free but you can pay in little by little to get cool shit like top-tier ships, new uniforms, new races, etc.
>>
File: SS038.jpg (439KB, 1396x1900px) Image search: [Google]
SS038.jpg
439KB, 1396x1900px
>>54566424
>>
>>54566500
So, Federation has
>A Schrödingers military
and
>Schrödingers money

So they kinda do and kinda dont have them.
>>
>>54566500

I hue'd ever so gently and possibly kek'd just a little.
>>
>>54566330
I was in the beta back in 2010, and I bought a lifetime subscription. I pop in every now and then; I played through the summer event to get the ship, and caught up on the story missions that showed up since last time I played.

I like ship combat a bit more than the ground, but I have fun, so yeah, it's fun. For me, anyway.
>>
>>54566493
You say that but I finished the first one.

If anyone wants to read some art deco lesbian military sci fi, I'm your man.
>>
>>54566563
>art deco lesbian military sci fi
um, yes please.
>>
>>54566598
Working title is "Crowned in Lightning", keep an eye out. I'm querying to agents now, hoping to publish in the next couple years.
>>
File: 13 Sybok.jpg (13KB, 400x168px) Image search: [Google]
13 Sybok.jpg
13KB, 400x168px
>>54566608
>trying to sell to publishers
>2017
>>
>>54566731
>thinking you can get anywhere with selfpub
>Stardate 02017.8
>>
>>54566500
Why have I never heard of this? This is basically how I imagine a Star Trek RPG to turn out.
>>
>>54563169
Tomalak seemed pretty chuffed that one time he ambushed Picard.
>>
>>54566608
How are going about publishing it. I know this is a tad off topic but the publishing advice I've gotten off of /lit/ amounts to "give up because of x conspiracy".
>>
>>54568041
https://janefriedman.com/find-literary-agent/

Here's a good article on it. If you want to talk further, there's a discord server named "The Writer's Block" that can give some good advice. Should be able to find the link with a bit of googling.
>>
>>54566541
I figure the less centralised your world is in the Federation, the less muddled it is. Like we've seen a few races within the UFP that still operate their own military forces. And we know hat the Bolians operate their own financial services. So nearly every human colony and minor race that gets added to the Federation operates with Starfleet and used the Federation energy credit over latinum. But any species witha bit of clout can maintain some sort of military and finacial autonomy.

I wouldn't be surprised, for instance, if the Andorian Imperial Guard was still a thing by the 2370s. We've seen that Vulcan is allowed to more or less do it's own thing, with Starfleet service instead entry into the Vulcan Science Directorate being seen as a less desirable course of action. I figure that the same holds true for the oldmilitary traditions of Andoria.
>>
File: IMG_0626.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0626.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
Just got this bad boy in the mail
>>
>>54568408
Neat, what's inside?
>>
>>54568408
>federation, klinks, and romulans in base game
>cardassian and ferengi expacs almost out
>borg expac being developed
>card in base implies eventual tholian expac
What else could they do? Dominion is obvious, and I can see the Breen and the Gorn having just enough to work with to make expacs out of. Any other major races?
>>
>>54558947
What the ever loving shit is that? It looks like someone bulked out a Connie then it collided with a scrap heap.

I want one
>>
File: pic2962924.jpg (71KB, 559x435px) Image search: [Google]
pic2962924.jpg
71KB, 559x435px
>>54568432
Phoneposting is a bitch so I'ma just dump BGG pics.
>>
>>54568452
How are the models?
Can you get closer pics of those?
>>
>>54568447
Federation prototype dreadnaught from STO.
You can find it in a lock box or in exchange for the price of a small moon.

And it has on it the borg space set items, the shield, the deflector and engines, which you can get by grinding them open in a reputation store for omega force.
>>
>>54568452
>>54568460
BGG has no good pics for what I want so I gueeeess I'll phonepost. Gimme a minute.
Also, the developer, Gale Force Nine, is famous for making licensed product, and for being very, very good at it. Steev over in /bgg/ swears by their Spartacus game and their Sons of Anarchy game is one of my all-time favorites.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>
So what is the consensus on Star Trek Enterprise? I admit it's not my favorite trek, but it has bits I like. Specifically, I love their Andorians, and catching an episode on rerun yesterday got me thinking of doing a starter campaign with my group with them as an integral component. Not entirely sure how to go about it though. Thoughts?
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>
>>54568504
Depends, what time period is your game going to be set in?
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>
>>54568519

Kinda have to set it pre federation I think. Take elements I like from enterprise and bits from old cannon and see what I can do with it. That or some sort of alternate universe maybe, since I'm the only one in the group whose ever seen anything besides tng and voyager.
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>
>>54568588
Well you could set it in the period just before TOS, with April or Pike in charge of the Enterprise. Federation member races were still in the last stages of transitioning into unified organizations; even Starfleet derived its authority from the United Earth government until the Kirk years. You could set a game in that period with the players heading up an Starfleet ship as part of a small interspecies fleet consisting of various Federation species, with the stated goal of fostering relations between them via working together. Alternatively, you could set it at any point in the TNG/DS9 era. We know there are ships with their own all-Vulcan crews even in that time frame, so there could be a ship with an all-Andorian crew. In either case, Andorians would probably distinguish themselves as the "civilized warrior" race: some important traditions and concepts of honor, unlike the TNG/DS9-era Klingons they're more refined and cultured instead of being a race of screaming bloodthirsty lunatics.
>>
>>54568667
It has more components but captcha is a bitch on my phone, you get the idea.
>>
>>54568674
I imagine all-Vulcanian ships and all-Andorian ships would be far more comfortable to the crew, they get to set the thermostat as high or as low as they want.
>>
>>54568667
>Virgin cards
They truly know their playerbase.
>>
>>
>>54568951
Okay, who let the Vulcans into the engineering design lab again.

C'mon guys, stop sticking rings on everything, it's 2379, that shit doesn't work anymore.
>>
>>54562776
>>54562909
Brannon Braga is part of the Screenwriting team with MacFarlane. I think a few of the directing and production staff are Trek Alums. And then in the cast Misses Sisko 2.0 is playing the doctor.
>>
>based on the style of classic 60's and 70's sci-fi art
>>
>>54569038
>Brannon Braga
Oh crap, expect to see alot of wierd shit that anyone with highschool biology knowledge would facepalm about.
>>
>>54569007
I actually kind of like it. Shades of the Prometheus, and as you say Vulcan design. It says "experimental prototype PC ship" to me.
>>
You know i'm beginning to think that in a few months we won't be able to say Voyager was the worst Trek anymore. Discovery looks like an absolute shit show, complete with literally fanfic tier writing.
>>
>>54569325
It's name abbreviates to STD, that's how much forethought it's makers put in to it.
>>
>>54569347
I hope it's the AIDS that will finally let this poor series die.
Maybe then folks will stop beating this poor dead horse of a franchise.
>>
>>54569347

True, but now we have a great shorhand insult for it if and when it goes to shit. Everything I'm seeing just makes me worry more.
>>
>>54569368

Who pissed in your cheerios m8?
>>
>>54569388
Nice dubs, but you need to learn to not worry and just let it go.

>>54569406
I just think the franchise cant go good anymore.
between the Abrams movies and this series, there is no other modern star trek, it's going to be this shit for the next 20 years at least at which point someone else makes it about another gimmick and they keep on raping lore and creating multiple timelines to grab more cash on a well liked and established franchise.
>>
>>54569117
But played for comedy so it'll probably be ok.

Braga is fine as long as he has someone to yell at him and doesn't have to be scared of Rick Berman saying no to every other idea he has, a lot of really good TNG episodes and even a bunch of the better Voyager ones are Braga & someone co-ops.
>>
>>54568674

This is true, and a good point. Thank you.
>>
>>54568588
For Andorians, I've always wanted to see a historian who wants to bring back the clans and has fucked off with a ship or a few to found himself a personal star empire.

>>54568674
Ships with all Andorian crew are canon in the FASA games, something like 40% of Starfleet is the 'Blue Fleet', they are Andorian ships crewed by the Andorian military. They tend to have armored nacelles and go heavy on the torpedoes. Letting them do this was a crucial part of the negotiations that founded the federation and ended the Human/Andorian wars. But this was all written before TNG, so take it or leave it.
>>
>>54571379
>something like 40% of Starfleet is the 'Blue Fleet',
Edging down to 25 to 30% by Star Trek IV, and the TNG Material talks about maybe 10% or less due to retiring a large chunk of the fleet for ships that could be Transwarp capable.
>>
>>54571418
That's true, they do tend to incorporate more onto other ships as Starfleet grows and the old guard dies off or retires.
>>
>>54571379
>>54571418

Ok that's great, I can have a lot of fun with that.
>>
>>54570416
One of the good points SF Debris keeps making is that Braga is a force multiplier. When you give him something good, he makes it better. When you give him something bad, he makes it wayyyy worse.
>>
>>54571838
Yeah, that's a good way of putting it.

>>54571418
>Transwarp capable.

That really dates it, possibly more than any other aspect.
>>
>>54571529
Glad to hear it. Hope you and your players can extract some fun from it.
>>
>>54571953
Well yes, the last FASA book came out in 1988. And it's still better than half the canon we've got, since it fills in the movie era rather than ignores it.
>>
>>54571379
>human/andorian wars
The closest thing that ever happened to that in alpha or beta canon is when Shran tried to steal the Xindi weapon orototype
>>
>>54572896
>Enterprise
>canon
>>
>>54573009
It's more canon than TOS at this point
>>
>>54571379
>For Andorians, I've always wanted to see a historian who wants to bring back the clans and has fucked off with a ship or a few to found himself a personal star empire.
Writing this down as a possible villain for my ST:A campaign
>>
>>54571838
What Braga needs is good and equal writing partner, John D Moore was that in TNG and they wrote All Good Things . If Braga is doing solo shit or leading the writing team, expect it to be dark and gloomy and then biological nightmares out of wazoo. Or Threshold.
>>
>>54574569

Threadly reminder: Captain Janeway and Tom Paris have salamander babies somewhere in the Delta Quadrant.
>>
>>54574569
Biological nightmares and muh weird dream/time shit could be good light comedy fodder.

Just imagine the stuff they've done already on Voyager/Enterprise but add more 'this is stupid' and 'oh fuck this stupid thing is killing us but it's still stupid' rather than playing it fully straight. Like the Macrovirus.
>>
>>54574696
Which sounds perfect for the light-hearted self-aware tone Orville seems to be going for
>>
>>54575029
And that is why I have hope for it to not be terrible despite Braga's involvement.
>>
>>54575206
Not even the utopian late 24th century future is safe from the meme side cut.
>>
>>54575288
that meme sidecut is an ancient tribal hairstyle

so not even our ancestors were safe
>>
>>54573163
delete this
>>
>>54575763
You have to admit that TOS has a lot of issues with consistency and such, since they didn't work out the exact year until way later.
>>
Hey lads, who wants to play a Star Trek: Adventures oneshot tomorrow? Going to be a combat oriented game aboard the USS Thunder Child.

https://discord.gg/ZcGyJ
>>
>>54568951
>>54569007
>>54569197
>Prometheus, D'Kyr, and NSEA Protector had a three-way
Fund it.
>>
>>54571953
>Say it with me
DAT AFT
>>
>>54575843

Even so, TOS has a better grasp of what it's trying to be, something ENT lacks.

Anyone else wondering if there will be classic Enterprise cameos occasionally in Discovery? The 1701 is out there, under either April or Pike during the same time period.
>>
>>54577569
I hope there is not. It would taint it.
>>
>>54575206
>bajoran
>daddy issues hairdo
Dukat did NOTHING WRONG

>>54577569
No, it would ruin it.
>>
>>54577754
>>54577777

Even though I asked the question, I'm hoping they won't show it. Discovery looks like a trainwreck, and I wouldn't want it retroactively contaminating TOS.
>>
>>54577777
>Dukat did NOTHING WRONG
quints confirm.
>>
>>54578108
>>54577777

Dear god, they're all sevens too.
>>
>>54578199
>all sevens
...?
>>
>>54576673
Update: Group assembled, invite disabled.

Players are the flight crew of a command fighter flying out of the USS Thunderchild as well as the ship's landing party. Gonna be a fightan/shootan style mission.
>>
>>54566131
It could be that the Earth government is more like the USA than the EU, since the different states still retain their own identities and many of the people living in them show a lot of state pride.
>>
>>54578348
strikes me as a cultural thing, no reason you shouldn't take pride in your history. Helps give context to how important a moment in human history the Federation is.
>>
>>54577777
>Dukat did NOTHING WRONG
>"I should have killed them all."
>didn't
Clearly didn't do anything right either.
>>
>>54569347
>Using the initials for Star Trek in the name
>A nomenclature never before used when abbreviating shows
I understand you're mad anon, but it would abbreviate to DIS or DSC, just like TOS, TAS, TMP, TNG, VOY, DS9, and ENT.
>>
>>54579322
I've seen people using DSC already
>>
>>54579333
DSC is the official abbreviation used by CBS, but fans may grow to use DIS instead, much like they used VOY for Voyager instead of the official VGR.
>>
>>54580265
>>54579322
I like DIS as the abbreviation, the city of hell, Where Star Trek is right now.
>>
>>54580471
Also DIS for Disrespect
>>
>>54577021
>NSEA Protector
Never give up, never surrender!
>>
>>54574696
Or have Threshold episode where Captain and some female officers turn into newts due to space sheningans and afterwards go , "yeah that just happened and it was stupid as hell"
>>
>>54580503
Word
>>
>>54575366

Proof?
>>
File: d7.jpg (1MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
d7.jpg
1MB, 2592x1936px
More models to use as Miniatures for my ST:A game
>>
File: haven_hd_226.jpg (374KB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
haven_hd_226.jpg
374KB, 1440x1080px
>>54575288
Star Trek is no stranger to meme hair.
>>
>>54583577

I was so damn glad when that bitch died. Hated her so much.
>>
>>54583730
She's so bland I can't really hate her. Just a lukewarm actor all around
>>
Can Starfleet ships launch shuttles while at warp?
>>
>>54583868
If they can fire photon torpedoes in warp, then why the hell not?
>>
>>54583868
If the Galaxy class can dump its sublight saucer at warp, I'm sure a shuttle will be okay. Probably slightly hazardous though.
>>
>>54577777
Nice quints, cardie scum
>>
>>54583868
It'd be more complicated that launching a shuttle at sub-light speeds, but it's certainly doable. I'd say the main issue is making sure the shuttle is moving at a reasonably comparable speed before dropping them out of the ship's warp bubble. Inertial dampeners or no, going from relativistically static momentum to 100s of times the speed of light in an instant isn't good for your shuttle or your health.

I think that's actually what they do with this teeny-tiny box shuttles. The Ines with no warp drive. They release them at warp so they can coast to their destination.
>>
>>54584592
Huh, considering that's how photons work, that's not a bad idea. Carrier ops just got more interesting.
>>
New Thread
>>54586047
>>54586047
>>54586047
>>54586047
Thread posts: 314
Thread images: 60

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.