[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/STG/ - Star Trek General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 315
Thread images: 49

File: Galor and Nova.jpg (231KB, 1512x864px) Image search: [Google]
Galor and Nova.jpg
231KB, 1512x864px
Galor Edition

incoming shitshow regarding new trailer subedition

Previous Thread: >>54407496

A thread for discussing the Star Trek franchise and its various tabletop iterations.

Possible topics include Star Trek Adventures - the new rpg being produced by Modiphius - and WizKids’ Star Trek: Attack Wing miniatures game, as well as the previous rpgs produced by FASA, Last Unicorn Games and Decipher, the Starfleet Battles Universe, and Star Trek in general.

Game Resources

Star Trek Adventures, Modiphius’ 2d20 RPG
-Official Modiphius Page
>http://www.modiphius.com/star-trek.html
Playtest Materials (via Biff Tannen)
>https://www.mediafire.com/folder/36m6c22co6y5m/Modiphius%20Star%20Trek%20Adventures
Reverse Engineered Character Creation.
>https://docs.google.com/document/d/1g2ofDX0-7tgHojjk7sKcp7uVFSK3M52eVP45gKNJhgY/edit?usp=sharing
Core Rulebook
>IN NEED OF NEW LINKS

Older Licensed RPGs (FASA, Last Unicorn Games and Decipher)
>http://pastebin.com/ndCz650p

Other (Unlicensed) RPGS (Far Trek + Lasers and Feelings)
>http://pastebin.com/uzW5tPwS

WizKids’ Star Trek: Attack Wing Miniatures Game
-Official WizKids Page (Rules and Player Resources)
>http://wizkids.com/attackwing/star-trek-attack-wing/

GF9games Star Trek: Ascendancy Board Game
-Official Page
>http://startrek.gf9games.com/

Lore Resources

Memory Alpha - Canon wiki
>http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Portal:Main

Memory Beta - Noncanon wiki for licensed Star Trek works
>http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

Fan Sites - Analysis of episodes, information on ships, technobabble and more
>http://pastebin.com/mxLWAPXF

Star Trek Maps - Based on the Star Trek Star Charts, updated and corrected
>http://www.startrekmap.com/index.html

/stg/ Homebrew Content
>http://pastebin.com/H1FL1UyP
>>
>>54469779
New trailer is terrible, Discovery DoA.
>>
>>54469779
Literally every ship in that trailer looks better than pizza-cutter on a pizza-slice.
>>
Quick review of the steel donut class from last thread:

>>54469099
>>54469319
>>54469346
>Nacelles
Look like giant rice grains like the other anon said. No matter how round, streamlined or organic the rest of the ship looks, the nacelles are always *somewhat* angular, with a "conventional" futuristic look. The pylons look a lil weird, too.

>Saucer
I like the detailing, although it looks very heavily armed, even/especially by Trek standards. Escape pods all in sensible(ish) places without messing with the aesthetic. If that's a galaxy-style saucer shuttle bay at the back, though, it needs to be more obvious from the sides, with more of a vertical drop. Needs impulses engines on the saucer, though.

>Stardrive
Pretty sexy. Really sexy. If I had to fault it, I'd say it's still overly-armed, and could do with a bigger slope down from the saucer since I'm not super keen on the "in-line" neckless ship design that's big in most of post-TNG, even if it's more technically sound. I always hated the big bulge at the bottom of the stardrive sections that started being a thing with the Excelsior(?), but it's not too bad here.

>Size
To put it bluntly, approaching the realms of STO/Ark Royal/Steel Donut ship memery. The Galaxy was supposed to be the closest thing you could get to a mobile starbase and ended up an overengineered mess, and the sovvie was meant to be a big-ass battlecruiser to go toe-to-toe with other capital ships and ended up being an expensive status symbol. You don't need anything anywhere that big for exploration - something around the size of an Nebula would be more than plenty unless you're talking decades on the frontier.

That being said, you may want to take all of this with a pinch of salt, since I also think the Intrepid, Ambassador and Nova were sexy and the Defiant, Akira and Excelsior are overrated.
>>
>>54469948
>Look like giant rice grains like the other anon said. No matter how round, streamlined or organic the rest of the ship looks, the nacelles are always *somewhat* angular, with a "conventional" futuristic look. The pylons look a lil weird, too.
I like the big nacelles. They look reasonably huge and solid enough to believably punch that thing past light.
>>
>>54469948
>Excelsior overrated
>>>/out/
>>
I want a Starfleet carrier that launches upgraded Mirandas as its fighters.
>>
>>54469976
It's the shape that's the issue - they're never that round, and it looks like a step in the direction of Cryptic's OC ships desu
>>
>>54469779
Man, those are some nice-looking Quake 2 ships.
>>
>>54469948
Well, for your perusal, I found all this over at Cygnus x-1 and at least 1 online RP uses this ship design (and said RP sound rather... Overtly aggressive).

http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars/discovery-class-starship.php
>>
>>54470146
>Berman
>Vice Admiral
all of a sudden I'm starting to miss those neural parasites.
>>
>>54469906
The few shots of the Klingon ships were not good.
>>
>>54470125
Strogg vs Borg, who wins?

My money would be on Strogg.
>>
>>54470245
They'd probably just merge and fuck everybody else over double-hard. Then the Queen would come along and let them get wiped out to try and fulfill one of her revenge/sexual fantasies, thus rendering to situation moot.
>>
>>54469779
The funny thing is that I'm not sure who's outgunned in that picture.
>>
File: discposter1.jpg (707KB, 1547x2048px) Image search: [Google]
discposter1.jpg
707KB, 1547x2048px
New Discovery trailer

https://youtu.be/oWnYtyNKPsA

Looks much better than the first one
>>
>>54470520
>geoip banned for Americans
Working link to KANGZtrek trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsYu9jsmlHc
>>
>>54470520
It looks massively worse, now that we can see the plot. "10 years before Kirk and Spock" is 2254, which would be Pike's command with Spock. The Klingon Empire wasn't really in disarray at the time, and ever new plot point revealed in the trailer is almost amusingly retarded. And the goddamn uniforms trigger me.
>>
>>54470714
>And the goddamn uniforms trigger me.
Silver, bronze and gold are terrible for spotting things from a distance
Pips way before they should be being used
Fucking shoulder pads for captains?
Combadges before there were combadges
Personally it is the Klingons that are pissing me off the most.
>>
>>54470794
Even worse, the commbadges are the Enterprise arrowhead, when every ship, station and outpost had their own emblem.

>Personally it is the Klingons that are pissing me off the most.
If I listed everything that pissed me off about these Klingons, we'd be here a while.
>>
>>54470850
I said it once, I will say it again - this will get two seasons and collapse harder than Enterprise did.
>>
>>54469948
>akira
>overrated
you are fake news
>>
File: cardassians.jpg (44KB, 750x460px) Image search: [Google]
cardassians.jpg
44KB, 750x460px
>>54470714
>"10 years before Kirk and Spock" is 2254, which would be Pike's command with Spock. The Klingon Empire wasn't really in disarray at the time
That means it's yet another alternate timeline. Fuck everything.
>>
Remember everyone - every Star Trek series since TOS has taken two seasons to hit its stride. TNG and DS9 only really got great in their fourth seasons.

Gotta give Discovery a while. Imagine the shitposting and grognardery if 4chan had been around for season 1 of TNG
>>
>>54471022
>Imagine the shitposting and grognardery if 4chan had been around for season 1 of TNG
There are probably Usenet threads from back then that are about the same level of mad.
>>
>>54470794
>>54470850
They aren't combadges; we've seen the TOS style communicators already.
And different ships and stations having different emblems was a production error to begin with.
>>
>>54470941
No, it's the same alternate timeline from the recent movies.
>>
>>54470520

The visuals I would be ok with (other than the Discovery's design if this was not supposed to be Star Trek. The problem is, it's apparently supposed to be Star Trek. Those uniforms look like they're trying to be the Earth Force ones from Babylon 5 but with less class and more indistinct metallics, which really isn't fitting at all.
The Klingons with fat heads and spike suits look terrible, a really superhero comic-book kind of design. Which might be neat, if they were fighting the Fantastic 4 or something.

And I still have no idea what kind of character the main character is supposed to be. They seem to be just there. They do some moving about or standing there whilst people talk at them, and about the only notable thing is apparently they're pushing to open fire first? Character beyond visual design is really fucking important, especially in Star Trek. Just look at Voyager for examples of non-characters and how much they're hated for being complete wastes of space compared to the ones with personality.

What it boils down to is I really wish this show would give me SOMETHING to indicate that it's not just gonna be a forgettable mess of a plot and maybe a neat looking, if soul-less from lack of interesting context, space battle.
>>
>>54471083
Untrue. They've explicitly said it's TOS timeline. For legal reasons they can't use JJ Timeline
>>
>>54471101
Well, it has the same vfx style with the phasers being like Star Wars blasters rather than laser beams.
>>
>>54470941
Oh no, it's explicitly set in the Prime universe. I could take another alternate timeline, or even the far future, because at least they were trying something (sort of) new with the setting. With this though, they're trying to wedge an 18 wheeler into a parallel parking space.

>>54471022
Except Trek has a (semi) established history for this period of time, and the show is blowing it off rather than trying something new. They want the TOS nostalgia without doing any of the fucking work for it. That's why I'm mad. I'll give it a chance, but it will have to be damn good.

>>54471066
>And different ships and stations having different emblems was a production error to begin with.
Incorrect, they had the costume designer make separate patches for the ships to hew closer to the USN.

>>54471084
>And I still have no idea what kind of character the main character is supposed to be.
A Vulcan raised Human that would the same age Spock is, while Sarek berates her for being human.
>>
>>54471118
Please look into things instead of making snap judgements on visuals and then presenting them as fact.

This goes for everyone really.
>>
File: startrek.jpg (222KB, 876x1079px) Image search: [Google]
startrek.jpg
222KB, 876x1079px
>>54471127
>Oh no, it's explicitly set in the Prime universe.
So it's a straight retcon then? Do they have any idea how many trekkies this is going to piss off?
>>
>>54471189
Trekkies will get pissed off no matter what they do though.
>>
>>54470941
>>54471101

If it was actually being pushed as an alternate timeline to either the movies or old star trek, I'd be a hell of a lot more forgiving.

But they're not doing that.

>>54471062
And they'd be right to be at least a bit mad given what TNG season 1 did... though I'd be a hell of a lot more forgiving knowing how many veterans of the original series and films were involved in creating it.

>>54471127
>A Vulcan raised Human

Gives me nothing but that maybe they're a follower of the Vulcan's take on logic? The villain from Star Trek V gave more to go on in a few seconds of screen time at the start of the film. And that was Star Trek V ffs.
>>
>>54471228
Damn right we will!
>>
>>54471299
So there's no reason to try to avoid it?
>>
>>54471243
>Gives me nothing but that maybe they're a follower of the Vulcan's take on logic?
Her arc seems to be Daddy Sarek didn't love her, so she's going to be antithetical to everything he taught her. The character is extremely flat though, I'll give you.
>>
>>54471228
>Trekkies will get pissed off no matter what they do though.
If they did a proper TNG/DS9/VOY sequel with the Enteprise F off exploring the ass end of the Beta Quadrant it would have been great.
>>
>>54471338
Trekkies would just whine because they're doing the same shit instead of trying something different.
>>
File: 1476315833476.jpg (37KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
1476315833476.jpg
37KB, 256x256px
>TMP
>Klingons are given a brand new look since production now has a bigger budget, it's a retcon and should just imagine that the Klingons in TOS always looked like this
>oh wow that looks great thanks Gene Roddenberry

>STD
>Klingons are given a brand new look since production now has a bigger budget it's a retcon and should just imagine that the Klingons in the franchise always looked like this
>REEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>54471405
The TMP-STVI Klingons looked cool though. The STD Klingons look like angry dog turds in spiked clothing.
>>
>>54471338
They'd bitch because now that it's like 20 years after all those series ended none of those actors would probably ever come back for guest spots, not to mention some are dead. And they'd still find things they don't like about the cast or ship design or costumes or stories or whatever other minute detail they decide to dislike.
>>
>>54471228
>>54471309
Trekkies are the core audience they need to help float their series though. Nothing about the adds sets this Trek iteration abort from the dozen other gritty sci-fi series currently making the rounds on various channels so external uptake will initially be low. Joe/Josephine Blogs is going to look at this and see Dark Matter/Killjoys/Continuum(is this one still around?) but with an old IP attached. If the show is to survive, the pre-established fan base need to be at least somewhat on board.

I think they're going to do a DC-CU on it and pin way too much of their hopes on draining people in with a grimderp aesthetic and uninteresting protagonist. At this point our best bet is that some of the supporting cast knock it out of the park and make their own arcs interesting enough to stay invested.
>>
>>54471145
The fact is, it shares the same visual style and design elements of the reboot films so for it to take place in the original universe isn't a logical assumption to make. If It's not, then that means the original universe is getting the same action oriented treatment and design, thus overwriting the old shows and movies entirely.
>>
I've just bought a 50 pack of blank dice to turn into Challenge Dice from Star Trek Adventures. I'm currently looking at just using acrylic paint sealed with clear coat. Anyone got some better recommendations?
>>
>>54471405
>>TMP
>>Klingons are given a brand new look since production now has a bigger budget, it's a retcon and should just imagine that the Klingons in TOS always looked like this
>>oh wow that looks great thanks Gene Roddenberry
But they didn't always look like that, there was an augment virus that fucked dudes up.
>>
>>54471560
That explanation didn't exist until 30 years after the change.
>>
>>54471587
But when it did exist it had always existed. The old timeline is gone, anon. Accept it.
>>
>>54471405
The jump from 60s shoestring to 70s loadsamoney is proportionally larger than this jump. The TOS Movie Klingons actually look good, rather than these abominations, even at their cheapest and/or laziest.

>>54471587
It's a horseshit excuse, but blame DS9 for not just having Michael Dorn show up as a TOS Klingon.
>>
>>54471644
>t's a horseshit excuse, but blame DS9 for not just having Michael Dorn show up as a TOS Klingon.
That would be like that time where Spock lost his emotional control because they had time traveled to a point before the Vulcans had developed it.
>>
>>54471405
Except they've now made both types of pre-established Klingons canon. So that argument holds about as much water as the saucer section of the Discovery.

In all honesty though, the Klingon redesign doesn't bother me all that much. I'm not keen on the weird overelaborate costumes and ships, but I'm willing to pass it off as just another design aesthetic. After all, the whole 1 race, 1 culture thing is a bit frustrating.

What bothers me is that we're still in the past (you know what I mean) so we know roughly how things pan out, especially this close to the beginning of TOS. Similarly, I don't like that we're back to the Klingons again. We've done the Klingons in nearly every series. What's the point of new Star Trek if we can't explore (oh yeah, I'm doing it) new worlds, new life and new civilisations?

I'll give the show a chance, but I've not seen much to fill me with confidence as of yet.
>>
>>54471679
I'm more bothered that the klingon actors cant seem to talk with the new prosthetics.
>>
Positives:
>muh budget
>muh effects
>remembering that people don't instantly die in space without good reason
>Garth
>useful forcefields
Bad:
>WE WAS KLANGS
>not even trying with the uniforms
>grimderp mood
>yet another Spock backstory rehash
>GIANT THREATENING BAD GUY SPACESHIPS OF DOOM

Things I can live with if the following are true:
>MC is a diplomat's daughter, which explains all the Sarek stuff
>UI design aesthetic of the show ships are explained to be Earth-based, while the traditional Connie UI stuff is some ayy lmao aesthetic I think it would be funny if Our Heroes visit some Connie, see how everything is different, and the host crew just shrugs their shoulders with a "you get used to it" look.

>>54471228
>>54471309
There's a difference between pissing and moaning because of nitpicks, and then watching every episode anyways, which is part of what defines a trekie, and getting angry and stop watching the show after the second episode without giving the show a real chance, like what happened with ENT.
>>
>>54471677
What? No, you moron. Rather than having him in the TNG makeup in Trials and Tribbulations, he appears in the TOS makeup, shutting the door on the Y U NO LOOK LIKE MOVIE KLINK whining by tacitly stating the Klingons look like they did because the technology wasn't there, rather than any retarded Augment virus explanation.
>>
>>54471702
>MC is a diplomat's daughter, which explains all the Sarek stuff
Judging by the material they released earlier, the MC is an orphaned human raised on Vulcan who was discriminated against for being an emotional being. It sounds so much like Yesteryear, I wonder if they're gonna have Spock as a kid.
>>
>>54471702
Riffing on that spoilertext:
There were Andorians, Vulcans, and Tellarites on the design board for the TOS tech revamp. The only reason everything is so low-tech and gay is that the humans put it out there as a "surely they'll agree we can do better than this" baseline but nobody could ever get the sand out of their vaginas long enough to do so. The rapid tech-up from the 2270s to 2290s was because Starfleet Command handed the reins to a room full of humans and said "make it look cool for once."
>>
>>54471101
>for legal reasons they can't use their own IP
???
>>
File: journeytobabelhd0261.jpg (336KB, 1436x1080px) Image search: [Google]
journeytobabelhd0261.jpg
336KB, 1436x1080px
>>54471785
I blame these fags.
>>
>>54471804
JJTrek is owned by Paramount. Mainline Trek is owned by CBS.
>>
>>54471405
The real problem is that the design choice of the Klingons not having hair makes it very obvious all of them are wearing a bald cap. The excess bulk of underlying hair is fine when everything is smoothed out, but the ridges of the Klingon makeup make them look lumpy and uneven due to that excess bulk. They needed to get actors with shaved heads or cropped hair. The costumes are designed to add bulk as well, so combined with the headpiece they make the facial structure look small. Basically they need to give their actors a haircut or add facial prostheses to even everything out.
>>
>>54471708
I understood you perfectly. It still ends up looking like bad writing either way, though your suggestion allows viewers to simply laugh it off.

I was providing a previous on screen example of the writers attempting to justify such a shift. They did it badly. Though TOS season 3 didn't exactly have a shortage of bad writing decisions.
>>
>>54471702
>spoiler
kek, I'd actually enjoy this

>>54471441
>Firefly but with the comfy replaced by edgy ebil corporation grimderp
>forgettable???
>Timecop but we can't afford enough VFX to have it set in the future full-time
I might be biased because it's an existing franchise, but I found literally all of those to have a more interesting premise or "sell" than STD did.
>>
>>54471441
Continuum ended with the alternate timeline aesop everyone saw coming a mile away when Keira started to change the future.
>>
File: War-Stories-Chris-Weston.jpg (774KB, 1600x1046px) Image search: [Google]
War-Stories-Chris-Weston.jpg
774KB, 1600x1046px
>>54471702
>>Garth
Garth Ennis is writing for Discovery? Fuck, I'll give it a shit now!
Do you realize the kind of research he does for all his work? The citations for his War Stories is a Who's Who for WWII fiction, memoir, and documentary.
>>
>>54473177
No, Garth of Izar, a side character from TOS.
>>
>>54473177
>>54471702
Wait, Garth Ennis or Gartj of Izar?
>>
>>54471849
Part of what defines TOS that I thoroughly miss in post-movies Trek is how it works with a low budget by introducing odd technology (was the transporter invented by TOS? I think it mighta been) and adapting assets from whatever was lying around on the lot or out in Trona Pinnacles.
>>
>>54473250
The transporter was invented because they didn't have the budget to have a shuttle landing every episode.
>>
>>54470191
>The few shots of the Klingon ships were not good.
I didn't say good. I said better.
>>
File: antimatter containment.jpg (51KB, 749x739px) Image search: [Google]
antimatter containment.jpg
51KB, 749x739px
>>54473250
Antimatter containment module made out of a bowling ball.
>>
>>54473278
No, I mean, I think TOS invented the transporter. That in sci-fi it wasn't a thing until Roddenberry invented it.
>>
>>54473250
Best doggo.
>>
File: teleportation.png (19KB, 1450x113px) Image search: [Google]
teleportation.png
19KB, 1450x113px
>>54473299
One little google search, anon
>>
>>54473310
The best part about that episode is that the dog is in nearly every scene and they're just constantly passing it around like it was some inside joke.
>>
>>54473331
>The Fly
>Playboy
>>
>>54473361
Playboy used to have all kinds of great fiction. Asimov, Bradberry, and Vonnegut wrote for it that I knew of.
>>
>>54473361
Early to mid Playboy was actually a legitimately impressive magazine. Hell there used to be editions that just had the articles with no nudity, and they sold almost as well as the regular ones.
>>
>>54473361
Ask yourself: what demographic is most likely to need their fix of naked women from a magazine because they can't score in real life?

Answer: nerds.
>>
>>54473423
Playboy actually stopped including nudity at all a few years back
>>
>>54473452
They quickly reversed that decision.
>>
>>54473452
Yeah but not in the 60s or 70s.
>>
Worked out my campaign intro

>Station Commander’s Log, Stardate 2245.1 - Axanar Construction Station 4-L-3. Lieutenant Commander Henry Standast Commanding.
>Work on the USS Excalibur has been excruciating and weeks behind schedule, but we’re almost done. The first few officers are reporting aboard, and we’ll have her closed up and ready for duty within a week. Can’t come too soon, too - the Klingons are supposed to be moving on Axanar two weeks from now. Excalibur’s captain, Andrew Lo - Chu, is coming to take command this afternoon. My construction crews and Excalibur’s officers are rushing to get the ship presentable as quickly as possible.
>And I have to get back to it. Commander’s log, out.
>>
>>54470615
Just realized something - Sarek appears to have a hologram message. The fuck is up with that? I thought holograms like that weren't really a thing until DS9 (not counting arm-baby making races that effectively date-raped Trip in Enterprise).
>>
>>54473721
It appears to be an image projected onto a medium of some sort, like a real world hologram. Instead of the photonic/replicated "holograms" of the TNG era
>>
>>54473721
They had holograms like that in S1 TNG. They might have used holographic projections in ENT at some point (not Daniels' thing, but some more mundane task), but I can't remember.
>>
>>54473818
I seem to remember holograms being used in the War Room in S3, and in various Xindi tech as well.
>>
>>54470941
Why does Star Trek keep pushing out fucking prequels.

If you want to make the future sexy again FINE, give us the pirate shirts and bright colors back, fashion changes. But why are we having yet another Trek series going backwards?!
>>
>>54474212
Because reasons. I want something set in the 2400s with the crew dealing with shit in areas of the Alpha and Beta quadrants we haven't seen or dealt with with the odd escapade episode to familiar locales and such.

You know it's bad when The Orville feels more Star Trek than this schlock we've seen so far.
>>
>>54474285
>>54474212
With all the episodes of TNG, DS9, and VOY to hand, you basically have solutions for any given problem on hand and the tech is approaching magic. It gets very hard to write that sort of thing, to get dramatic tension from something you haven't done before and can't be solved with an old solution.
>>
>>54474361
So you ratchet the enemies up too. Make the Dominion, Borg, Voth, former one off super aliens, and the new aliens meet or exceed the techmagic level of Starfleet. Focus more on human problems that can't be fixed with technology. The real problem is that this requires a lore-aware coherent set of writers, which CBS seems to be allergic to.
>>
>>54474361
They ran into that problem twice in TNG. "Oh hey the original enterprise had this same problem, we'll just use their solution."
And their answer was, nope that doesn't work anymore.

The Naked Now and I'm having trouble remembering the other one.
>>
>>54474507
>Yawn, ANOTHER big confederation of evil aliens with advanced technology that our plucky heroes handle with guile, skill and teamwork.
Please, that sounds even more boring than prequels.
>>
>>54474616
Enterprise showed us that humans advance rapidly compared to most species. TNG showed the top end of our potential as being Q like. Some point before 2600 AD in the Prime timeline humanity WILL move up to a different playing field. What's wrong with embracing that? Fancy tech or not, they're still pretty much us.
>>
>>54474708
It makes writing a relatable set of characters with reasonable tensions nigh impossible. Even the best sci fi authors in the industry struggle with that and rarely succeed. Do you think that TV writers can pull it off?
>>
>>54474755
Why does that make it impossible? Combat is combat, and there are new peer species to create and old ones to revisit. Most of what we view as resources conflicts were already pretty much moot by Voyager and that worked out fine setting wise. Does the invention of transwarp make someone Barclay less neurotic? Will tamed Borg nanites get widespread adoption in medicine or be shunned like genetic enhancement? Does the Federation start picking fights to avoid its complacent 2350-2366 attitude? There's absolutely no reason a TV writer up to date on the lore couldn't write compelling stories.
>>
>>54474897
Problem is you run out of reasonable Problems of The Week pretty quickly.
>>
>>54474935
Why do you need a Problem of the Week? That formula is part of what killed Trek.
>>
>>54474987
It's also what made Trek work in the first place.

Anyway, idea to throw at my Adventures players at the start of their Five Year Mission

>TOS Era
>Players are assigned to explore a sector on the edge of Federation space. Six decades ago, a Federation merchant ship, the SS Coraline, passed through this region and surveyed the planets, reporting back a surprising lack of useful or inhabited planets by subspace.
>Crew of the USS Excalibur has been assigned to explore the sector in further detail. Eight star systems, all poorly charted and on the edge of explored space
>Immediately on exploring the first star system, they notice it doesn't match the survey files that the merchant ship sent back at all. There are more planets, some with notable mineral reserves, others with life that went entirely unreported.
>The second system they explore is inhabited - a space station orbits the fifth planet, and a small, somewhat primitive, but warp capable ship informs the players that they are violating the space of a Protectorate of the Coraline Alliance
>Up to the players to determine what they do about this fairly obvious breach of the Prime Directive. The Coraline Alliance, on investigation, reveals itself to be a single planet of humanoids who, with the assistance of tech from the SS Coraline and her crew, turned conquerors and established a small empire in this sector. The central planet rules over the other five with an iron fist, but has clearly established its Alliance to be a notable nation that can't be ignored
>If the players contact Starfleet Command, it'll take a few days to get a message by subspace, but the answer will be that they should establish diplomatic contact with this Coraline Alliance and attempt to find out what happened to the SS Coraline's crew and if any of them are alive.
>Players have to deal with what they do when a violation of the Prime Directive has gotten so badly out of control that it's essentially impossible to undo
(cont)
>>
>>54475090
>The contravening argument is likely to become "we have a responsibility to undo the damage" vs "we have no right to interfere" and "this Coraline Alliance is a brutal empire" vs "they're a foreign nation and we can't just topple them for our own principles."

I'm really excited to see what my players do with a problem like this. Should set the tone for the whole game and help me learn what my players want out of it.
>>
File: 2014-11-07_00003.jpg (295KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
2014-11-07_00003.jpg
295KB, 1920x1080px
>>
>>54470520
>>54470615
>Mudd appears to be some kind of madman terrorist instead of just a less good Han Solo
Dropped.
>>
>>54475118
>Trek always has to have a heavy-handed reference to current affairs, no matter what
>first adventure is Regime Change: Y/N?
>it's really fucking well done
I'm so proud of you, anon.
>>
>>54471189
Just popped in to say I fucking love this image. Thank you for that.
>>
>>54476375
I actually just made it a logical consequence of the Nazi and Rome episodes of TOS, but yeah, still relevant
>>
File: B6URa3BIAAENXxT.jpg:large.jpg (83KB, 1024x1015px) Image search: [Google]
B6URa3BIAAENXxT.jpg:large.jpg
83KB, 1024x1015px
>>54473721
>I thought holograms like that weren't really a thing until DS9 (not counting arm-baby making races that effectively date-raped Trip in Enterprise).
>date rape race has holodeck
>klingons get it from them
>khitomer accords
>suddenly feds have holodeck
>>
>>54476911
Feds had holodeck in TAS
>>
>>54476948
Fugg.
>>
>>54473335
Their stipulation for appearing in it was that they got to hold the unicorn doggo.
>>
>>54476129
Okay...where do I get those outfits in STO?
I'm asking for a friend...
>>
>>54477224
Klingon faction.
>>
Thinking of doing a "Hobarts Funnies" arc for my ST:A campaign, what are some weird ship tech that could go horribly wrong?

>Ship stuck in time dilation field to repair
> The experimental mind meld/battle meditation tech that was meant to have the crews working together, but ended up making the whole crew hear each others thoughts
>>
>>54471189
There's ones for Archer and Sisko too, right?
>>
File: Miranda.jpg (254KB, 1512x864px) Image search: [Google]
Miranda.jpg
254KB, 1512x864px
>>54471228
/thread
>>
Curious, but is it true they had a facist regime centered on a world called "Zeon" in the original series?
>>
>>54479876
http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Zeon

Not quite.
>>
>>54479876
You are probably in the wrong thread but yes, mobile suit gundam did have a not-Nazi regime in a cluster of colonies called side three, which named itself as the principality of Zeon.
>>
>>54474285
Macfarlane has talked about reviving Trek for about a decade now. He's put more thought into the whole concept than CBS have.
>>
>>54481678
Oh I know. You just need to look at the Star Trek shit he's done in the last few years to know he's been thinking about it.
>>
>>54479876
Not quite. In the episode "Patterns of Force" there's a planet where a historian set up a Nazi regime, the planet Ekos. They were using the natives of the neighboring planet Zeon as their scapegoats, which is probably what you were thinking of.
>>
>>
>>54482544
Apparently Vulcans have no need at all for those pesky internal organs
>>
>>54482568
>Implying you know Vulcan physiology
>>
>>54482544
Cover art for Vulcan Love Slave?
>>
>>54482640
nah just trawling for character art that isn't poser or Ican'tdrawanimebutstillkeepdoingit awfulness
>>
>>54482769
Why is captains tunic green?
Shouldn't it be golden?
>>
>>54482842
Kirk wore that green wraparound tunic a bunch in TOS
>>
File: BQ5GPX6.jpg (240KB, 1436x1080px) Image search: [Google]
BQ5GPX6.jpg
240KB, 1436x1080px
>>54482842
>>54482875

visual aid
>>
>>54482842
Nah, the wrap style was definitely green. Fun fact, the golden top should have been green too but colourisation process messed with it so it was kept consistently as gold and the wrap-type one colourised as the green it should have been.
>>
Dress uniform was also green.
>>
>>54482979
Man, TOS had such a great look to it.
>>
>>
File: Marshal of Atrios.png (724KB, 768x576px) Image search: [Google]
Marshal of Atrios.png
724KB, 768x576px
>>54479876
You might be thinking of Doctor Who

Pic related kills Zeons
>>
>>54482606
Damnit man! I'm a pervert, not a doctor!
>>
>>54484093
>After leaving Starfleet, Dr Leonard "Bones" McCoy went into gynecology but was forced into retirement after allegations of perverse conduct with several patients came to light.
>>
>>54484093
>not "I'm a doctor, not a pervert!"
You had one god damn job. Get the quote right, mother fucker.
>>
>>54484265
He had the hands of a surgeon.
>>
>>54484394
The things I would to Jadzia and Ezri are too extreme for me to write here but Dax would remember for at least 7 more hosts before another could come close to matching what I would do.
>>
>>54484270
Context is key, spicy boi. Read the previous posts.
>>
>>54484815
Jadzia is for sexual. Ezri is for cute. This is unalterable fact.
>>
>>54484878
Both are for lewd, just different forms of lewd.
>>
>>54484878
implying i don't like the short tomboy look and so does my nacelle
>>
>>54484908
Oh, Ezri is hot, don't get me wrong, but it isn't the same class of thing as Jadzia, who is a sexual beast. I would do unholy and filthy things to.with Jadzia, let me tell you what.
>>
>>54484945
>let me tell you what.

Please don't.

>>54475090
>actually running an interesting star trek scenario in a star trek game

I have trouble believing this is happening.
>>
I have an idea for a game that allows multiple teams

>Post TNG/DS9/VOY
>Main area is a region of unexplored Alpha Quadrant just on the other side of the Klingon and Romulan Republic territories, out past even the fringes of the Federation as well
>Massive space station co-built by the Federation, Klingons and Romulan Republic as a major step towards lasting peace between the three powers and is in a triple star system
>New aliens and tech, Borg incursions, Tal Shiar agents, rogue Klingon forces, Cardassian spies, Ferengi traders, Federation separatists and more to deal with
>New station has to deal with three competing factions but, unlike Nimbus III, the various powers actually are investing in it
>Players are various representatives of their respective factions and have sworn to defend the station first, their faction second at the behest of their governments
>Exploration, techno-babble, space and station battles, fun in the holodecks and all the classic ST greatness

Thoughts?
>>
>>54481678
>>54481804
I've hated him and his shows for a while now, but I'm honestly willing to take a good look at The Orville. It looks like it's been made with actual care and love for the franchise and trek-ness - more than B&B had, at least. Also, I swear to god that the Admiral's office in the trailer is the same as Chekov's one in ST: Renegades
>>
>>54485894
>It was the dawn of the third age of mankind – ten years after the Earth-[Formerly Hostile Faction] War.
>The [Project Name] was a dream, given form. Its goal: to prevent another war, by creating a place where humans and aliens can work out their differences peacefully. It's a port of call – home away from home – for diplomats, hustlers, entrepreneurs, and wanderers.
>Humans and aliens, wrapped in two million, five hundred thousand tons of spinning metal . . . all alone in the night.
>It can be a dangerous place, but it's our last best hope for peace.
>This is the story of the last of the Babylon stations. The year is [Appropriate Stardate]. The name of the place is [Station Name].
>>
>>54474212
Because Axanar was popular
>>
>>54486458
I never could get into Babylon 5 despite it's similarities to DS9. And this is going to be a more 'wild frontier and untamed region' with only minor petty powers at first and then a new power equivalent to the Klingons in power appear, leading the players to try and figure out how to deal with the power since the station won't be fully operational and ready for some time anyway.
>>
>>54485894
I'd play a non DS9 Babylon 5 knockoff.
>>
>>54486516
So is it going to be more exploration and surveying nearby stuff, political shenanigans, or laser beam fighting? Would the players be higher ups on the station, a starship crew, or junior officers/grunts?
>>
>>54486481
Axanar seemed to be trying to do something fitting with it. Didn't shy away from the TOS aesthetic and yet still managed to update it without being the JJ-versions.

>>54486517
I second that motion. It's also a bit Star Fleet Command III, or at least the start of it involved such a joint project. The feds do like their big joint projects to try and build/show unity and cooperation.
>>
>>54486633
Junior officers of the various factions (preferably at least one Romulan, one Klingon, and one Federation at least) who, as part of the peace process, are tasked to work together for the betterment of the station (and peace) than necessarily their individual factions. Sometimes the Klingon may need to do something less than honorable for the Romulan, the Romulan may need to leak info to the Federation and the Federation fights longer and harder for the Klingons, that sort of thing. But yes, the big focus would be exploring and studying the nearby sectors of unexplored space which has a large swatch of uninhabited systems (the Wall) and then they come across new species and such. I would also have a Q "episode" in there as well to fuck with my players. As the game goes on they work their way up the chain of command until they are given ships of their own and now they get a lot more options to fuck around with.
>>
File: mexiqans.gif (2MB, 300x212px) Image search: [Google]
mexiqans.gif
2MB, 300x212px
>>54486517
I want to see John de Lancie play Q in a Vorlon encounter suit.
>>
I have a sto question.

My Fleet's K13 station remains an uniterative wreck despite all the upgrades being done. There are no options for more upgrading assignments.

Why is this?
>>
>>54486702
>The feds do like their big joint projects to try and build/show unity and cooperation.
Ain't that the truth. In the game, the Feddies will be trying to do something similar out near Bajor with the Cardassians and some Dominion representatives too but neither of those governments are too keen and it's pissing off the Bajorans to no end as well.
>>
>>54487010
I'm still pissed that Bashir didn't just let the Founders die. The Vorta and Jem'Hadar were good tactically, but worth shit all at grand strategy, so the Dominion could have been rolled up and defeated for all time, and the Federation could then expand into the Gamma Quadrant.
>>
>>54487878
Because, I dunno, genocide?
>>
>>54485868
I'm putting together the group now, but sadly it's in person. I don't like running online games.

This is going to be the first few episodes of the campaign. The "prologue" is going to be this

>"Sword in The Stone"
>Players are the first few officers aboard the USS Excalibur, which is being built at Axanar. When the Klingons make a surprise attack ahead of schedule, the players have to get the Excalibur closed up and running as quickly as possible - while a Klingon Battlecruiser is bearing down on their construction yard hidden in an asteroid and the larger Battle of Axanar rages in the inner system.

Lets the players get familiar with the system and into their roles aboard ship, lets me teach them the system, and then they get to be the cavalry and save the day.

Obviously I'm taking Prelude to Axanar as canon.
>>
>>54488009
Given the nature of the Great Link it's really only killing one really fat dude.
>>
>>54487878
>"hey guys let's let the Founders die, sounds cool"
>"wait, what do you mean all the Jem'Hadar are going on a rampant murder spree burning everything they can before they run out of meth and starve to death"
>"wait, what do you mean the Gamma Quadrant is in a complete state of anarchy"
>"wait, what do you mean the changeling that was one of the good guys could've convinced them to not be assholes"
Section 31 is full of retards, if it wasn't for Julian then everyone would've been fucked sideways.
>>
>>54488234
>>"wait, what do you mean all the Jem'Hadar are going on a rampant murder spree burning everything they can before they run out of meth and starve to death"
This is not noticeably different than their standard combat tactics when withdrawal is not an option. Keep supplying DS9 with torpedoes and just spam them into the mouth of the wormhole until they stop coming.
>"wait, what do you mean the Gamma Quadrant is in a complete state of anarchy"
Better temporary anarchy than another 3000 years of tyranny.
>"wait, what do you mean the changeling that was one of the good guys could've convinced them to not be assholes"
Intermittent link-ciontact with a single human-sized piece of the Link ("the female changeling") was enough to turn Odo into a drugged-out collaborator so I'm heavily skeptical of his ability to do anything to them. Even in STO, the closest thing to canon post-DS9/VOY continuity, we got less than 40 years of peace before the Dominion went on the rampage again.
>>
>>54488234
>>54488681
Also consider that, if we believe the earlier Dominion-related episodes, the Founders being active is highly unusual; most of the time they just camp on their homeworld and the Vorta control the Jem'Hadar and other Dominion affairs directly. So with no control via the Founders the Dominion itself actually doesn't change in any practical sense, and now you have a massive organization who remembers that you just killed their gods and will be more than content to have their fleets take the long way to the Alpha Quadrant if it means blowing everyone there to atoms.
>>
>>54488753
Ketracel White requires manufacturing facilities that can't be hosted aboard ships and the Dominion ships lack the endurance for a 70 year run. The best you could do is take the safeties off the impulse engines and plod across the galaxy at relativistic speeds... and the Federation would be the next best thing to Qs by the time they arrived.
>>
>>54488868
What makes you think ketracel white production will stop? Again, the Founders don't control anything directly unless they choose to.
>>
Interesting note - a Miranda class starship built in the 2360s and having gone through 110 years of refits is still slightly worse than a recently built Intrepid class
>>
>>54482568
Internal organs are illogical
>>
>>54488963
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>54489044
Oh shit. Forgot to specify - I was comparing ship stats in Star Trek: Adventures.

Was just impressed that the refit system showed meaningful improvement but didn't make old ships either useless or more powerful than the new ship.
>>
>>54488912
He's saying that the long trek to the alpha quadrant would have kill the Jem'Hadar.
>>
>>54490047
Like Section 31, people are simply thinking too limited in scope. The Dominion clones, programs and breeds its servants based on the will of the Dominion as a whole. They are similar to Borg in the sense that an individual Jem'Hadar or Vorta is completely irrelevant. The Federation of the mid-24th century might have a reprieve, but by the end of the 25th century the Dominion will have expanded its territory to be within striking distance of the Federation (according to the Dominion's own pre-wormhole projections). Don't need decades-long treks.

Or they could develop a ship that can house the production facilities.

Or they could mass-produce enough to supply the troops with for the duration of the voyage, which would be a fuck-ton but this is the Dominion we're talking about.

Point being, the Dominion will survive without the Founders. It doesn't matter if it takes a decade or a century or even longer, they will be massive, they will be hostile, and they will give no quarter. Killing the Founders only delays the inevitable. Pacifying them changes everything.
>>
>>54490293
I tend to agree, just thought I was correcting a misconception
>>
>>54469779
>ENT was cancelled right before Jeffrey Coumbs woulda joined the cast
Why live
>>
>>54470520
>Shaky Cam
>Lens Flares
>Dutch Angels
>A C T I O N

Why are they setting this in the original timeline? Seems like it's much more in line with the NuTrek movies. Either way I'm appalled at the cinematography, they're fucking up Klingons, and something bugs me about the set and costume design.

>Mudd is a fucking terrorist
Why tho?

And why is a part of me hoping that it's just the marketing team just making it look good for the normal audience?
Why do I still care about this and hope that it's good
>>
>>54490965
>Why are they setting this in the original timeline? Seems like it's much more in line with the NuTrek movies.
CBS doesn't have the rights to the JJ timeline and they don't want to pay Paramount.
>>
>>54490293
>Point being, the Dominion will survive without the Founders. It doesn't matter if it takes a decade or a century or even longer, they will be massive, they will be hostile, and they will give no quarter. Killing the Founders only delays the inevitable.
That's not a case for "Throw Odo at them and pray he manages to upend their entire way of life instead of spending the next thousand years sex-drunk on the Link." That's a case for Genesis torpedoes.
>>
>>54491083
I thought all of the star trek IP was owned by Paramount.

These fucking kids are coming in and getting NuTrek all over my og timeline. It's fucking disgusting.
>>
>>54491123
No, there's a split. CBS owns the Prime timeline. STO and the adventures of Fleet Admiral (You) are the closest thing we've got to a post-Hobus Prime canon.
>>
>>54491141
Incorrect, there's two competing timelines. The Novel series (hue) and STO are both equally canon according to CBS. The novels actually make this a plot point, amusingly.
>>
>>54491324
>The novels actually make this a plot point, amusingly.
How?
>>
>>54491118
Hmm, I wonder why the Founders are assholes.
Hmm, maybe it's because they think solids are a threat.
Hmm, I wonder what can help them understand we don't have to be a threat.
Hmm, maybe saving them from extinction even though they're our mortal enemies?
Nah, let's genocide them instead, that'll totally convince them that we're non-threatening.

And yes, I know Section 31 were the ones who started the virus in the first place, and Bashir told Odo which meant Odo passed that knowledge along to the link, but the message is "we could have genocided them and we chose to spare them instead, even though we were at war." If that fails then sure, drop a Genesis bomb on Cardassia and start arming for an upcoming invasion of the main Dominion fleets in a few decades' time. But extending an open hand of friendship, even with a sworn enemy, has always been the Federation's MO, because it leads to better results in the long run than giving no quarter, and DS9 proved it correct with the Dominion agreeing to peace instead of continuing to fight to the last.
>>
>>54491336
One of the DoTI investigators is having what could be called "flashsides" of the future of the STO and Novel timelines. He's specifically calling out missions from early on in STO's life span, dealing with the Borg STFs, while aware that the Borg were destroyed in 2381. Jake and Nog meet with him but I can't quite remember why in "The Needs of the Many."
>>
>>54491375
No quarter was given to the Borg in any timeline.
This reminds me of the Speaker for the Dead stuff, where Quara tries to sabotage the plan to lobotomize the Descolada virus even though they represent the very essence of "them or us."
>>
>>54491437
>No quarter was given to the Borg in any timeline.
Remember the entire episode where the Enterprise crew debated inserting a memetic weapon into the Borg network?
>>
File: Chariot.jpg (105KB, 1032x774px) Image search: [Google]
Chariot.jpg
105KB, 1032x774px
JUST
>>
>>54491704
>>
>>54491704
Cave Johnson, we're done here
>>
File: 1156644532913.jpg (36KB, 635x480px) Image search: [Google]
1156644532913.jpg
36KB, 635x480px
>>54491704
I wouldn't mind seeing more vertical stuff in ship design, but that ain't how to do it.

Minbari in B5 had some very nice, very tall ships for an example. But height doesn't square with the federation's aesthetic. Probably easier to do with something that doesn't use a big disc as it's signature item. Maybe it could be done with a Romulan style... I mean they already go for the tall pointy head thing on some designs.
>>
>>54491704
Needs a second saucer on the lower half.
>>
>>54491385
It'd be funny if they had a flashside about Dewa 3, and end up triggering the Iconian gateway and triggering the war on the Novel timeline, just to see how they handle it there without Fleet Admiral (You) giving yourself help from the future.
>>
>>54492355
Admiral (You) isn't even relevant yet. Hell, Hobus hasn't even gone up in the novels at this point, and the Romulans are leading the Typhon Pact, made up of the Rommies, Breen, Gorn, and Kinshaya.
>>
>>54492434
I thought the Tholians and Kzenkethi were in on the Pact too.
>>
>>54491324
>two competing timelines. The Novel series (hue) and STO

And both are really quite shit in their own, surprisingly similar ways. Endless, pointless escalation and reliance on established characters to sell any attachment.
>>
>>54492450
Right, them too, I knew I was forgetting someone.

>>54492493
Hey, Vanguard was good, and Seekers is too.
>>
>>54492355
Iconians are completely different in the novelverse.
>>
>>54492550
>Destiny exists
>>
>>54469948
>Excelsior are overrated

Your opinion is bad and you should feel bad.
>>
>>54492625
>implying you don't like the horrifying fact that the Borg are the memories of an angry bitch of an ex-wife
Anon please.

Yes Destiny was shit.
>>
>>54492625
>>54492665
Hey, some of the stuff from it (Full Circle in particular) was pretty good. Seemed to be that the better the show was, the worse it got butchered in Destiny I mean, the VOY and ENT stuff was decent, but dear god I am sick of Daxwank
>>
are any of the books interesting? i have a few here such as spectre by william shatner (which im certain he had ghostwritten), tng dominion war #1, and new frontier excalibur.
>>
>>54492851
The Relaunch novels of each series ranges from decent to meh. DS9's goes back to Season 2 in quality, which hurts it. Vanguard is TOS era, and covers a station on the Federation Frontier. Despite mucking with Wrath of Khan a bit, they're solid novels. The bigger question is what Star Trek series you liked most.
>>
File: 132638325589.jpg (91KB, 429x360px) Image search: [Google]
132638325589.jpg
91KB, 429x360px
>>54492903
Season 2 DS9 is one of the most underrated seasons in Trek, so I guess that means I should read DS9 Relaunch.
>>
>>54492953
It's lots of aimless exploring, followed by a time jump, because it starts right after the show ends when all of the other novels started after the end of Nemesis. Imagine skipping from DS9 S2 all the way to the end of Season 6, with context backfilled by novels outside the line.
>>
>>54492903
my favorite series is ds9 but i also greatly enjoyed tng. id be willing to give things based on voyager a fair chance too
>>
>>54492988
Q&A is a good TNG/Q novel, and sort of explains Q's motivations. Millennium was the original end to the DS9 novels, and is super fucking trippy, but really good. There's also the Left Hand of Destiny duology, which is a Klingon story about Martok in the vein of Le Morte De Arthur, which can be a turn off for some. Unfortunately, a lot of the Relaunch doesn't include Sisko, so if you want more of him, expect nothing, or moping as he has issues dealing with the Prophets telling him his purpose is fulfilled.

Shockingly, as >>54492806 says, the Voyager and Enterprise relaunch novels are actually really good. Enterprise in particular goes out of its way to unfuck a lot of the stupid.
>>
>>54493096
sounds pretty good. can you recommend a place to purchase these beyond ebay?
>>
>>54493096
Oh and I forgot Star Trek Titan, which is about Riker and the titular ship. This is a (mostly) purely exploration series that manages to feel fresh despite the premise. It has Tuvok, if you want to follow best Vulcan.

>>54493139
In print? I... don't know. I got most of mine as ebooks.
>>
File: think big.png (396KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
think big.png
396KB, 960x960px
>>54493159
i forgot about ebooks. did you torrent all of yours or buy them?
>>
>>54493171
I bought the series I liked, but since Pocket has decided to sell ebooks at print prices, you'll have to make your decision there. Especially when some of these series are at 15+ books.
>>
>>54492311
Anon, that is a magnificent idea!
Why didn't anyone think of this sooner, secondary saucers!
I mean, we already got ships with 4 nacellas, so why not have also ships with two or more saucer sections.
Get me a drawfag now!
>>
>>54493551
At this point just take a picture of a pizza chef's utensil drawer and slap on some Starfleet styling.
>>
>>54493159
>Oh and I forgot Star Trek Titan, which is about Riker and the titular ship.
It's just a bit too smug about the "so progressive XDDDD" although I do love the ship design and some of the adventures they go on.
>>
File: Nautilus_Class.jpg (351KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Nautilus_Class.jpg
351KB, 1920x1080px
>>54491836
Just flip the saucer into a vertical orientation

Look at this beauty :^)
>>
File: jupiter2.jpg (145KB, 717x908px) Image search: [Google]
jupiter2.jpg
145KB, 717x908px
>>54493551
Slap some engines on Jupiter Station and we're good to go
>>
>>54492851
The Corps of Engineer books are OK.
>>
File: Heliopolis_colony.jpg (210KB, 768x576px) Image search: [Google]
Heliopolis_colony.jpg
210KB, 768x576px
Thinking of using this as the basis of the Federation-Klingon-Romulan space station outlined here >>54485894 with each faction getting one "strip" of the three habitable zones. The docking centers would be in the massive asteroid at the far end which would hold most of the major command structure as well. The Island 3 colony attached to it would be about 16 kilometers long with a diameter of 4 kilometers. Heavily armored and armed, the station is not able to move on it's own but would be very difficult to take on, especially when coupled with the fact each faction probably has a small fleet nearby at any given time.
>>
Hey /STG/, What are some problems you've run into playing Star Trek: Adventures? Issues with the system? Stuff first-time players are bad at getting?
>>
>>54494495
Finding players.
>>
>>54495854
i'd play anon

what's your discord?
>>
>>54495854
>>54496099
Let's organize a game. I should play before I GM, huh?
>>
>>54493768
It looks like a fucking Pod Racer
>>
>>54491437
This >>54491644
but more importantly, yeah, the Borg are REAL different than the Dominion.

Also speaking of the Dominion even if they do fight the Feddies again in a few decades the Klingons go war crazy every other Chancellor so it's not that out of line for Starfleet to go, "A containable war every couple generations beats genocide."

Is that necessarily a good attitude? Maybe not, but debating that kind of morality could make a great Trek plot.
>>
>>54497867
>Also speaking of the Dominion even if they do fight the Feddies again in a few decades the Klingons go war crazy every other Chancellor so it's not that out of line for Starfleet to go, "A containable war every couple generations beats genocide."
The solution is obvious.
Cede Bajor to the Klinks and let the problem take care of itself.
>>
>>54497888
Or put a whole bunch of sub-space dampeners around the wormhole entrance and lots and lots of weapons platforms.

Also have a visitors centre on the Gamma end where you have to ask permission to come through and they have to send a signal through to announce that something non-hostile is coming through.

Any unauthorized ship get minced and can't send out a distress call.
>>
>>54497888
>Trusting the Klingons with any sort of proper security.
May as well jut give it back to the Cardassians, while we're at it.
>>
>>54497934
I do like the idea of Starfleet security surrounding a cheesy, sunny visitor's center.
>>
>>54497934
>>54499546
>Papers Please meets Star Trek.

I never knew I could need something so bad.
>>
>>54496099
What he said.

>>54496112
That often helps, but then again if everyone is new it's not much of a handicap.
>>
Is there any good star trek discussion stuff (not episode guides) on youtube?

I tried watching Trekyards recently and whilst interesting at first they quickly grew more and more annoying with their bizarre opinions on ship design and lack of research/ability to convey their points suitably.
>>
>>54497934
>>54499546
>>54501020
>[stamp]
>Glory to Cardassia.
>Next.
>>
File: IMG_6487.jpg (619KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6487.jpg
619KB, 1920x1080px
Just got the lot for £12 in some kind of secondhand store. Feels good.

Have high hopes for some fun evenings.
>>
>>54501705
You'll need to get the Klingon and Romulan books, since I can't remember if their stats are in the main books.
>>
>>54501715
Yea I'll be lucky to find them in this condition.

When I run it I'll be doing smaller scale heavily whacky TOS themed for my group of casuals anyway. Anything grandiose would be overkill.

What's /tg/s thoughhts on this FASA game?
>>
someaone have the link for a core rulebook of star trek adventures?
>>
File: hdfghdfgh.jpg (304KB, 1191x622px) Image search: [Google]
hdfghdfgh.jpg
304KB, 1191x622px
>>54501705
>>54501840
I have several of the FASA books in .pdf format, gimme a skype or discord or something if you want any of 'em.
>>
>>54503612
No, because someone from Modiphus is in this thread and DCMA's any links.
>>
>>54503612
>>54504723

Having had a look at it from one of the old links... actually worth the dosh though for the PDF. Fuck the cost of the print copy though. I get it, collectors want it and high production/licence costs. But it's a bit much.
>>
>>54503612

I have a copy/link, see: >>54504382
>>
>>54471545
You're probably better off asking in the WIP general, or any other painting thread that's currently up.
>>
>>54503612
Side question - when do the hardcover rules come out? I hate working with PDFs
>>
>>54505549
This is a good question, I've asked my local store to get me a copy and kinda want to know when I'll be paying through the nose for it.
>>
>>54505695
HEY, GUY FROM MODIPHUS WHO'S MONITORING THE THREAD, IF YOU WON'T LET US STEAL IT AT LEAST HELP US BUY IT
>>
>>54492988
WildStorm released some really good Voyager graphic novels back in the early 00's
>>54501840
Ehhhhhhhhhhhh... Personally, I find the system a little too janky, but chargen is pretty fun and nobody's done better than FASA at writing modules
>>
>>
File: padd3.jpg (31KB, 500x383px) Image search: [Google]
padd3.jpg
31KB, 500x383px
Does anyone know if the Decipher, Inc Star Trek RPG is good? I'm wanting something that can allow play in pretty much any time period of Star Trek goodness (that was we can do time travel shenanigans or use older ships in newer eras, etc)
>>
>>54505996
Seriously. I was in the beta test thing, I liked it, let me give you my $50 or whatever it costs. When can I buy a hard copy dammit?
>>
>>54507877
Bump
>>
File: IMG_0059.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0059.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Rate my pre TNG ship.
>>
>>54510016
more angles pls.
>>
>>54494059
So, a trek version of Babylon 5?
>>
>>54510042
We already have DS9.
>>
>>54510040
But Pre TNG (Post VI) was about the curves.
TNG was about the thick.
>>
File: IMG_0060.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0060.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>54510040
Ok. More incoming.
>>
File: IMG_0064.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0064.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>54510091
Dual Rear photo launchers.
>>
File: IMG_0063.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0063.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>54510113
And a side view for good measure.
>>
>>54510016
It looks basically like an Ambassador without the frills. This was intentional, I assume? Same time period after all.
>>
>>54510174
Indeed, Designed for ease of production during wartime. Uses all of the proven Ambassador Class parts while reducing resource outlay and manpower.
>>
>>54510214
Size, crew complement, general intended role?

Also, wartime? What war was taking place during that time frame? Klinks were calm, Cardies weren't uppity yet, nothing happened with the knifeears...
>>
>>54510247
Not him, but the Ent-C was destroyed only three years before the start of the first Cardie war, so Ambassadors and their contemporaries would've still been in production at that time. There was also a war with the Tzenkethi in an unspecified period of time, but far enough back that Sisko was only a lieutenant at the time, being promoted to lieutenant commander either during or shortly after, with the admiral from Homefront/Paradise Lost as his captain.
>>
How would you describe Federation-Dominion relations 50 years after the events of DS9?
>>
>>54510383
Depends on the continuity. If you're asking how we think it should be regardless of any continuity, then there's a number of different factors that could come into play. 50 years is a long time.
>>
>>54510383
Shit, probably, but we don't really know, since nothing is that far out in beta canon that I know of.

>>54510375
True enough, I guess it could be meant for those wars, though the Galaxy is also in dev at the time and anon's design runs immediately counter to Starfleet's design goals for the time, namely the "one ship to rule them all" design like the Ambassador and the Galaxy. It makes more sense for a wartime footing, like the early Klink-Fed brush wars era or the Dominion War period. Of course, anon could be making an AU, in which case, ignore everything I'm saying.
>>
>>54510383
Extensive changeling infiltration of the Alpha quadrant leading to general breakdown of relations, but particularly between the Romulans and the Federation. The dominion cut off almost all but cursory contact and uses the armistice to gear up for total war, focusing on non wormhole methods (Probably a new stargate tech, or stolen Borg systems.) They proxy the Romulans into a vicious war and bring in overwhelming force as soon as the Federation is on the back foot, but Starfleet Intelligence/Section 31/Admiral (You)/protagonists of new trek series will blow up their gate tech after a few months of conflict and a daring suicide raid, possibly with help from the Romulans after they purge the Tal Shiar for collaboration or a military coup.
>>
File: wolf359-all-ben.gif (245KB, 1691x1326px) Image search: [Google]
wolf359-all-ben.gif
245KB, 1691x1326px
>>54510436
Cardi War Era, ranging from 2347 (or so) to 2370 according to Memory Alpha and dialogue during TNG.
Also here were some other ships active in the period. remember the 500 plus meter long ships were resource intensive and hard to build, hell the Galaxy started development in the 2340s and launched in the early 2360s.
>>
>>54510546
That New Orleans class is sexy as fuck.
>>
>>54510546
http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Federation-Cardassian_War
>>
>>54510592
Ol Eaglemoss just recently released her as a model. Soon the others from 359 will join her.
>>
>>54510609
She looks like an Ambassador class but made for war. I waaaant.
>>
>>54510546
Sure, the reason I mentioned the Galaxy though was that it was emblematic of Starfleet's general design philosophy: they weren't making warships or thinking in wartime terms, they were making explorer ships like the New Orleans and Ambassador or single-purpose little ships like the Freedom and Challenger. They weren't making mass-produced battle line ships, that's kinda not Starfleet's bag.

Your design *looks* like something Starfleet might build, I'm just not sure about the *why* they built it. It'd make more sense that it was to the Ambassador what the Freedom/Challenger/Niagara were to the Galaxy: a little kitbashed ship made from spare parts that we know work and was made for a single specialized purpose, like diplomatic ferrying or border patrol.
>>
>>54510684
You need to consider that it wasn't until after the Ent-C's destruction that the Klingons were finally, solidly on the Federation's side, at least for a few more decades. Before that, the Klingons weren't actively hostile, but were grumpy enough that the Federation would've likely hedged their bets and come up with classes that could get into production quickly if there was a renewal of aggression. And that's not including wars and other skirmishes with the Romulans, Tzenkethi, Cardassians, Talarians and Tholians, none of which posed a serious threat to the Federation as a whole, but were just serious enough that a complete demilitarization would've been idiotic. It wasn't until after the Klingons became actual allies and the Romulans having become insular that the Federation felt comfortable enough to start making flying luxury hotels like the Galaxy class.

The split timeline from Yesterday's Enterprise makes the difference clear: in the timeline where the Klingons did go back to war, the Galaxy-class was not a do-everything exploration ship with an extensive civilian population, but a massive battleship and troop carrier armed to the teeth.
>>
>>54510845
This is true, but it actually reinforces my belief that your design is not a true warship, but is instead a dedicated border patrol ship. Think about it: they wouldn't use off the shelf bits for a true warship and they already have the Miranda and Excelsior for cheap designs that they can crank out (and those are tested across decades of active service to boot; a new design isn't and can't be counted on if it is in a pinch).

Everything points to Starfleet wanting a border patrol ship: enough to make the Klinks think twice about poking across the border and up-to-date enough to have some teeth, but not something that had to be custom built for the job. A true warship needs to be custom-designed from the ground up for the task (see; Defiant), not kitbashed together out of parts they had laying around, but a patrol ship needs no such requirement.

For cheap stuff, they have designs that work. For a warship, they'd need a new, cutting edge, design, which yours clearly isn't. It makes sense that it is border patrol work since it is good for that: it has reasonable armament, is big and intimidating looking, the parts should all work, and if it has bugs like all new ships do at least they aren't being found in the midst of an active warzone where it would just die. It's actually perfect for this role and it even fills a role Starfleet doesn't really have right now. I'd embrace this, anon, and run with it. Make it the Freedom to the Ambassador's Galaxy.

Also, it occurs to me that I don't know your design's name. What is it, if you've decided?
>>
>>54510684
She might be designed for ease of production during the Cardasian Wars but her mission role was general purpose. Ease of production also means ease of repair due to commonly available components. Also makes her easy to upgrade meaning a long service life.
>>
>>54510951
Heres general stats

Class - Concordia
Launch - 2330s
Type - Light Cruiser
Length - 474 Meters
Max Warp - 9.5 for 12 hours, 5 min Warp 3 backup
Armament - x3 Photon Launchers (1 fore, 2 aft)
x9 Phaser Arrays (5 saucer top, 3 saucer bottom, 1 hull bottom)
>>
>>54510992
>Concordia
Good name, I like it, feels pretty Starfleet too.

>specs
Yeah, this definitely says border cruiser to me. The size is right, the armament is right, the tech on display is right. A fine and solid design, I'd be happy to see it on screen honestly.
>>
>>54510951
Boarder Patrol is a mission she could easily take. she's as well armed as the heavy cruiser in service at the time. Though her mission profile is still general purpose.
>>
>>54511017
also as an aside, notice the mention of 5 min warp 3.
That bit between the warp pylons on the bottom is a battery bank designed for emergency warp in case of reactor ejection. Once the reactor clears the warp field the ship has 5 min of available power at warp 3. Good for sustained bursts or quick hops.
>>
>>54511082
That makes sense for a patrol ship, she'll hit hard in a fight but has a GTFO option for when she's crippled or outclassed. Plus, as a non-standard configuration, the klinks and rommies won't have good intel on her specs, which is an excellent deterrent.
>>
>>54511112
Yeah, *super* think this is a great patrol ship. Solid, reliable technology, a new design the enemies don't know anything about, well armed, etc. A solid choice for border work.
>>
>>54511112
with the appearances gained in the Cardasian Wars her TNG era refit will replace that battery bank with dedicated fusion engines. No extra speed but sustainable warp 3 after warp core ejection.
>>
>>54511148
A big fusion engine should give her spectacular impulse speeds, as well.
>>
>>54511173
can even back up the shield system until needed for emergency warp power.
>>
>>54511192
Gonna make a hell of a boom if it self destructs or takes a hit there, though. I suggest adding a few quirks to the backup reactor system for flavor, like a tendency to burn out power relays under duress, appalling fuel consumption, A need for constant supervision and tuning during use, etc. Something to potentially explain why it's not standard equipment later on.
>>
>>54511258
Thought of that already. Emergency Fusion Engines on the 2365 refit could potentially explode if placed under too much stress for prolonged periods. Like enhancing the shields during heavy combat. Like, One V One, no problem, swarmed, there will be issues
Fortunately the fusion reactors themselves can be ejected in the instance though that leaves the ship with no warp power at all and reliant upon auxiliary systems and the impulse reactors. This is why the battery system will be left in some during their update cycles. Kinda like the Excelsior and Excelsior Refit, you saw more standard excelsior since as tech advanced the refits were unnecessary when time for update came.
>>
>>54511419
Spiffy. Glad to see it's not just a straight upgrade. Hard to see from the pictures, but does she sacrifice shuttlebays as well? Would make sense for a powerful reactor to take up some space.
>>
>>54492625
>Destiny exists
>>
>>54511479
The version i built and posted is the original version.
I haven't actually built the 2363 refit version yet but yes, some bay room will be lost. But considering the size of the original designs bay, pus the secondary on the saucer, its enough.
>>
>>54511542
Oh god, please don't remind me of this.
>>
>>54511550
Nifty. I really like designs with real thought put into them.
>>
File: 1500129636410.png (2MB, 2000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1500129636410.png
2MB, 2000x1500px
>>54511590
also her bridge...(found image here actually, then noticed the MSD actually, kinda, looks like her)
>>
>>54511608
I did notice the saucer looks like an overhauled Connie dish, so that bridge is perfect. Gives it a nice intermediary period feel.
>>
>>54511608
That is a sexy bridge anon, good find
>>
File: wargames_by_killabc-d9unhix.jpg (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
wargames_by_killabc-d9unhix.jpg
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>54510133
So you're trying to go for this kind of look?

>>54510609
Well that's gonna save me some money, been eyeing up a large resin model for that and the Cheyenne class.
>>
>>54511851
Oh don't worry, she's coming, here's the list.

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Trek:_The_Official_Starships_Collection
>>
>>54511851
yeah pretty much, just using preexisting components rather than a new manufacture.
>>
>>54510546
>Apollo class

Oh hello there Pizzacutter is one of your class maybe called Discovery
>>
>>54512335
Oh shit! They're making the Curry Class? And they have a Nebula already! How have I not heard of these before?
>>
>>54512498
Then just go here to the main page and get some

https://shop.eaglemoss.com/usa/star-trek-starships
>>
>>54512688
As soon as I get paid again anon, as soon as I get paid.
>>
>>54510436
>since nothing is that far out in beta canon that I know of.
Isn't STO beta?
>>
>>54513595
no it came out of beta years ago :^)
>>
>>54511608
Would be perfect. It looks like all the best of a Galaxy class bridge with all the best of a Connie bridge. Would be perfect but for the problem ever Federation bridge seems to have which is the uneven floor. Why do they insist on having steps up and down for no reason at all?
>>
>>54513907
That's likely a conceit of television filming. They didn't want their primary set to look too flat. Since then it's stuck as a visual theme.

I'm sure there's some bullshit in-setting reason for it. And I can see an amount of sense in raising the captain's chair to give them full view of important information. But I suspect it's purely like that for visual reasons.
>>
>>54515355
More dynamic filming essentially. Now if there was only a system to run a game with this ship we would be set.
>>
>>54513697
God fucking dammit, anon.
>>
File: 236-You can't buy fate.jpg (17KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
236-You can't buy fate.jpg
17KB, 640x480px
>>54511569
Rules of acquisition number 236, You can't buy fate.

But you can buy a subscription to netflix for Destiny!
>>
>>54510546
Most of the ships along the bottom are just awful.
>>
>>54518006
>talkin' shit about the Niagara
Did you think I wouldn't hear you and come laugh at you? The Niagara is a sexy motherfucker of a ship and you should feel bad that you shittalked it.
>>
>>54518029
It's just a poor man's Ambassador with an extra nacelle.
>>
File: 1500562540716.jpg (237KB, 1436x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1500562540716.jpg
237KB, 1436x1080px
>>54518060
...and higher power output, more speed etc, but i think he's revering to the others. Those are failed study models that never made it. the two that look like the old art of the Discovery are the "Planet of the Titans" Enterprise study models, the rest are Excelsior prototypes. old studio study models made cannon by their inclusion in several episodes ad background ships.
See image for another use of them, Reunification 1 and 2 if memory serves me.
>>
File: Half size Raven.gif (16KB, 1016x684px) Image search: [Google]
Half size Raven.gif
16KB, 1016x684px
>>54369642
>I'd say a scout ship but you could just toss in an experimental shuttle (maybe prototype Runabout?) or three

Decided to go with a half sized version of the Raven type used as a prototype test bed for the Runabout program. The Runabout’s warp core is about half the size of the one used on the Raven so it makes sense.

After the project is done with it the idea is that it's later modified and refit with a larger warp core allowing them to reach speeds of Warp 8 for short durations. It would have 2 full sized decks, with a third smaller one acting as a sort of attic area.
This would not have enough room for a shuttle craft, and given its size would just land on planets itself. Unless they just use the transporter.
Less spacious than a Maquis raider, but this isn't intended for combat, just scouting.

Is it plausible such a ship could do warp 8 for a couple of hours? The Runabout maxes out at warp 5 after all.
>>
File: niagara-top-side.jpg (159KB, 1000x981px) Image search: [Google]
niagara-top-side.jpg
159KB, 1000x981px
>>54512335
Damn, New Orleans is out of stock... and Cheyenne Class ain't until the end of September.

>>54518060
It isn't quite that. The saucer is different, it lacks the neck, the mountings are off...

It is ugly though. Not a great kitbash.
>>
>>54518686
>It is ugly though. Not a great kitbash.
funny enough this one isn't actually a kit pash of 1400 scale kits like many of the 359 ships are, this and the Freedom Class are purpose built by another studio, the only parts used from trek ships were parts from actual studio models
ex astris scientia has a full write up on the 359 ships.
http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/articles/niagara.htm
>>
>>54518402
Runabouts can do at least Warp 7. The Warp 5 limit is for while towing an entire capital ship like a Galor.
>>
>>54518402
Warp 8 seems decent for a not-high performance machine.

You don't have to be big to go fast.

>>54519091
>>54518686

I really think this design could do with a few tweaks. It's almost... ok. that top-down view is fine for instance but it's just awkward looking from other angles and a lot of that is down to the nacelles and their placement.
>>
New Thread
>>54520559
>>54520559
>>54520559
>>54520559
Thread posts: 315
Thread images: 49

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.