[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 355
Thread images: 41

File: in-hyuk-lee-.jpg (267KB, 927x1559px) Image search: [Google]
in-hyuk-lee-.jpg
267KB, 927x1559px
>Unearthed Arcana: Greyhawk Initiative:
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UAGreyhawkInitiative.pdf

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Alternate Trove:
https://dnd.rem.uz/5e%20D%26D%20Books/

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previously, on /5eg/:
>>54501202

What's the craziest thing you've seen a Barbarian PC do?

Hard mode: what's the craziest thing you've seen a Barbarian PC do that ended up working in their favor?
>>
Asking again because ded thred

I am leading a 6 man squad, not including myself, of an extremely zealous religious order in a human nation. The order is mostly magic based and I am chosen to lead this squad of regular fighters for political reasons. Other players are in the same nation (or elves in the woods), but in a regular army, not a religious one.

Anyways, what should I make my 6 squad members? It can be any mix of magic and regular classes.
3 paladins, 1 cleric, 1 ranger, and 1 wizard are what I had initially though but it seems dumb.
>>
Is grappling an enemy, jumping 40 feet into the air, throwing them down, and then grappling them again before they can get up from prone, all while taking no damage due to Slow Fall, the one true man's romance?
>>
What does "Recharge" mean in the Tome of Beasts entries? Not seeing any mention of it in their other books.
>>
File: wisint.png (118KB, 403x422px) Image search: [Google]
wisint.png
118KB, 403x422px
>>54509200

Notice how everything related to reasoning and knowledge is INT, not WIS
>>
>>54509238
I think it follows the same rules ad the Monster Manual. At the start of the turn roll a D6 and if the recharge number appears then the creature can reuse it's action.
>>
>>54509222
6 Divination Wizards that constantly argue about who's right regarding the future.
>>
>>54509260
Keep this autism in the old thread
>>
>>54509285

no
>>
>>54509271
Fuck I feel retarded, didn't even notice those in the MM yet. Thank you.
>>
>>54509260
Don't bother trying to reason this guy out of his opinion when he didn't use reason to get into it.
>>
>>54509236
How?
>>
File: doguppercut.gif (726KB, 500x373px) Image search: [Google]
doguppercut.gif
726KB, 500x373px
>>54509236
No. Uppercutting an enemy into the air, leaping after him, and using your Flurry of Blows, Action Surge, and Extra Attack to repeatedly Open Palm shove him 15 upwards while tacking on an extra 15 feet with Battlemaster's Pushing Attack is a true man's romance.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_28i2ivt9no#t=3m44
That's 120 feet at level 8 if you Stunning Blow him, too.
>>
>>54509175
Is there anything about Demon and Devil interactions? I'm assuming they don't get along but would it be too much of a stretch to say a few skilled Devils would manipulate and use Demons for an invasion on the material plane?
Devils are cunning and are good at making deals while Demons seem to be more brutish and care more for destruction. What are your opinions on this?
>>
Hey /5eg/ does any one have a good current 5e diety thats about equal to Erythnul?

https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Erythnul
>>
>>54509433
Demons and Devils hate each other. If you're running something in the default 5E setting, Forgotten Realms, they've been warring with each other since time immemorial. Devils could certainly manipulate Demons into doing something shitty in the PM, but the Demon Lords would generally spot that coming a mile away, and the Devils would be wary of anything that could possibly improve the Demons' power.

Fiends, the Chaotic Neutral group that tends to end in -loth, are the mercenaries of the Lower Planes. Both sides would much rather hire those guys to make a mess in the PM than risk using each other as pawns.
>>
>>54509371

Sounds impossible. How do you have enough movement and jump distance topull it off? Allso, with Action Surge, Extra Attack, and Flurry of Blows, you're hitting with 6 attacks. If each attack pushes 15 feet, that's only 90 feet total.
>>
>>54509175
>What's the craziest thing you've seen a Barbarian PC do?

It wasn't in 5e, but we were on an airship, with two dragons flying towards us. This was pretty high levels, obviously, but the Barbarian opted to wait until they got close, and do a leaping charge at the closest one.

He managed to kill it in one turn, sending it hurtling towards the ground. But not before he landed on it, ran up the length of its body to vault off its tail, and land another attack as he jumped onto the other one.
>>
>>54509453
You can use Greyhawk deities if you want. But if by "current" you mean "Forgotten Realms":
Bane is the god of hatred, rule by fear, and general tyranny.
Garagos is the god of wanton slaughter and fightin' for fightin's sake.
Gruumsh is the primary Orc deity and god of wreck everyone's shit.
Urdlen is a gnome deity, but he also wants his followers to KILL EVERY LIVING THING (and then themselves).
>>
>>54509175

I was at a roleplay tourney one time and saw one of the most autistic person I have ever seen go full murderhobo on everyone.

He was playing a bloodthirsty barbarian and just kept raping and pillaging. Threw like 9 axes into one guy...

It got so out of hand that people tried to flee from him on a boat. So he walks up to it then asks the DM if he can break the ship. DM asks for a strength check and he just punches a goddamn hole into the hull of the ship, sinking it in the process. I thought it may have been fudged a bit by the DM since the autismo Barb had been kissing the DMs ass all night with sodas and treats.

It finally got down to two players between the Barb and some chick playing a necromancer. He straight up bored holes through her with some bullshit homebrew eye laser shit. Then the see how pissed the girl and is and runs out screaming after being declared the winner of the game. Shit was so fucked.
>>
>>54509327
Use the jump spell to triple your jump height, then use step of the wind to double it, then stack movement speed bonuses like longstrider and the monk's unarmored movement.
>>
>>54509538
Thanks, I wasn't too sure on how that exactly worked. This will add a great element to my campaign
>>
>>54509530
Open Palm and Pushing Attack each move 15 feet. You can apply the Pushing Attack maneuver to any hit you land, even if you're also Open Palm shoving. You've got 5 ki and 4 superiority die, so if you spend one ki for Step of the Wind or Stunning Strike, you've got eight instances of +15 over four attacks.

As for jumping after them, you burst them all at once. Or grapple them and ignore the part that says forced movement of a grappled target breaks the grapple (since you're the grappler and the mover). Or stand on their stomach while swinging your foot between their legs and booting them in the ass each time. Or don't worry about that shit at all, because it's cool as fuck to knock a guy 120 feet into the air and watch him drop.
>>
>>54509175
I'm starting a new campaign with my group soon and can't decide between loremaster wizard or divination wizard.

I'm leaning loremaster but my last character was a bladesinger wizard which ended up with 34ac and I think my DM is leery of letting me play another UA wizard sub-class.
>>
>>54509236
How do you jump 40 feet in the air?
>>
>>54509685
Maybe you could stop being a little shit for a change and not play busted memes whose only purpose is to piss off the DM.
>>
What would be two good skill proficiencies for a Minion background? A goblin or thug in service of a BBEG.

I'm considering Stealth, Survival, Deception, Investigation, Intimidation, and Perception, but I don't now which two are best.
>>
>>54509685

Fuck you.
>>
File: 1327541672228.jpg (8KB, 176x137px) Image search: [Google]
1327541672228.jpg
8KB, 176x137px
>>54509685
>loremaster
do you just hate challenge or something? once our DM was told what it does he put a big NO stamp on it, as I would have if I was DM
>>
>>54509564
>roleplay tourney
wtf are you on about?
>>
do any of you know the story posted here several months back about the tiefling paladin or knight whose group was questing for a goblet in a forest? It's a serious feel trip, with like three separate locations in the forest. Out of all the tragic questing to find this goblet and three parts to some spell, she's the only one that makes it out alive, and it wasn't even worth the reward. She ends up getting a nickname from the townsfolk, and its the name the campaign was called when it was being told.
I can't for the life of me remember it and I wanna share it with some friends
>>
>>54509700
>>54509598
Also, Athletics checks or simply not caring because oh shit a 40 foot high jump, truly this breaks the fucking game, can't let supermystical Monks or any other martial do something physically impressive in this roleplaying adventure of fucking fantasy superheroes.
>>
>>54509619

you have 4 superiority die, and you can only use the pushing palm on Flurry of Blows attacks. If you're using Step of the Wind for jump height, you can't Flurry too, you're only hitting them for 4 attacks at 15 movement each so you can only push them up 60 feet.
>>
>>54509710
Literally anything because you can swap the skill proficiencies of any background to whatever the fuck you want.
>>
>>54509742
A roleplay tournament where anything goes and the last man or woman standing wins.
>>
>>54509737
To be fair, I might allow something like that and give the rest of my players some broken abilities n shit as a high power game.
>>
>>54509758
60 feet is still high enough to kill or severely disable someone
>>
>>54509758
>only 90 feet
well shit i guess there's no point anymore
>>
File: OIR3OKR.jpg (77KB, 480x650px) Image search: [Google]
OIR3OKR.jpg
77KB, 480x650px
>>54509538
>Bane is the god of hatred, rule by fear, and general tyranny.

What could the deific stature of such a god possibly be?
>>
>>54509685
>Hi I like playing bladesinger wizards that stack AC, loremasters and divination wizards
Have you considered getting rid of yourself so we don't have to inhabit the same world as you?
>>
>>54509786
>>54509785
Why let your Monk do anything when you could Wall of Force-bottle an enemy and pour boiling oil out of your gaping asshole all over him?
>>
My DM wants to implement a system in which character can learn new custom abilities, essentially new spells that aren't on the spell list, entirely up to DM fiat and the player earning the ability.

He also said that these abilities are all going to use INT as the casting stat.

Am I wrong to think that this is basically only a buff to wizards and a waste of time on everyone else?
>>
We're gonna be starting with one uncommon magical item this thing, starting at level 5. Should I go for something obvious like the +1 weapon/fancy armor or something, or something more just flavorful? VHuman Fighter, melee but DEX-based, rolled some ungodly strong stats.
>>
>>54509800
Guy Who Gets Blown The Fuck Out And Killed Repeatedly, according to canon.
>>
>>54509598
Jump Height is unaffected by movement speed
>>
>>54509774
So a tournament without rules? That sounds like the most retarded thing ever
>>
>>54509785
>>54509786

You also have to get yourself 45 feet into the air to hit them with the 4th attack, correct? in order for that to work you have to have Jump spell, Step of the Wind, and 20 STR.
>>
>>54509844
I'm 100% sure you need movement speed to make a long jump, and with that I'm mostly sure you also need movement speed to jump upwards, because jumping upwards is just up instead of across.
>>
>>54509862
He forgot the part where the guy playing the barbarian ripped off his shirt and kool-aid man'd through a wall after it was over.
>>
>>54509844
But you do need movement speed to make use of that height. It's why the Champion's Remarkable Athlete and the Thief's Second Story Work can potentially do nothing.
But it's all pointless because
>Athletics check
>>
>>54509685
>a bladesinger wizard which ended up with 34ac
First off, how?
Second, Bladesinger isn't UA
>>
>>54509891
With +3 armour, dual wielder feat, 20 int, 20 dex, warding bond cast on you, haste cast on you, shield of faith cast on you you can reach 36 AC.

But if the DM lets that happen it's entirely their own fault, because hot fucking damn.

Bladesinger is still a shit design.
>>
>>54509824
>My DM wants to implement a system in which character can learn new custom abilities, essentially new spells that aren't on the spell list, entirely up to DM fiat and the player earning the ability.
So literally homebrew? We have a word for that, ya know
>>
>playing low WIS high INT character
>end up on a tropical island with party
>coconuts everywhere
>fur+milk=mammals
>tame the coconuts and begin a breeding program
>>
>>54509891
This. I mean, I'm seeing 20 Int, 20 Dex, Mage Armor, a shield, shield spell, plus some magic items
>>
File: images.jpg (5KB, 288x175px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
5KB, 288x175px
>>54509950
>>tame the coconuts and begin a breeding program
>>
>>54506663
Samefag here. Can I can an answer to whether or not taking dirty money and giving it to a church violates an oath of devotion? The paladin player is jumping ship from the campaign and the dm needs a way to change the story since he was the main character
>>
>>54509950
I'd think a high int low wis character would realize that's stupid, but instead make magical coconut-fur constructs and they consider trying to replicate artificial intelligence only to make the fur-coconut creatures hate everyone and smash everything because they weren't quite intelligent enough to perfect it and not wise enough to know giving artificial intelligence is not a wise idea.
>>
>>54509870
>hit a guy
>knock him back 30 feet
>have to cover 30 feet to hit him again
>can attack six times in a round, or once every second
>he's covering 30 feet per second each time you punch him
>this enormous acceleration isn't doing any extra damage
>he also loses 100% of his momentum between your attacks
>and is suspended in the air until his turn rolls around again
Physically speaking, it makes more sense that each hit isn't instantaneously knocking the enemy far away, but that he's being forced backwards over a long period of time or stumbling much of the distance. Attacking as quickly as you are, you shouldn't have to cover the full distance of his final movement (less the movement of your last him) to connect each strike.

So clearly, it must work like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpEnVSH5XXg
>>
>>54509824

Sounds like you need to employ the random roll character creation option and skillfully roll 18 INT for your barbarian.
>>
>>54509260
hINT lWIS is the autistic kid who builds groundbreaking software

hWis lINT is an elderly black grandmother
>>
>>54509891
12 Base AC (light armour)
+5 for Dex
+5 for Int
+3 magic armour
+3 defenders shortsword
+1 cloak of protection
+5 shield spell (does take reaction)

34 ac

I think I will go loremaster after all.
>>
>>54509824
Sounds like a much needed buff to eldritch knights and arcane tricksters
>>
>>54509950
Under no circumstances would a high Int character consider the coconut to be a mammal capable of breeding
>>
>>54510079
stop
>>
>>54510059
Your DM was retarded enough to pass out all that AC bumping magic items
>>
>>54510059
>+3 magic armour
>+3 defenders shortsword
>+1 cloak of protection
Your DM brought this on himself.
>>
>>54509824
Sounds more to me like it might make Int a non-dumpstat for other classes, though it also has the potential to get way out of hand.
>>
>>54509824
You are right. He is simply building the groundwork to buff strong classes. Escape now
>>
>>54510104

That's his reasoning but I don't see it.

>be bard
>get one good ability that scales from INT
>reach ASI level
>can increase CHA to make all my bard spells better or be super MAD and increase INT for this one spell

vs

>be wizard
>get new ability that scales with my main casting stat
>reach ASI level
>grab INT
>>
>>54510079
>knows some common characteristics shared by mammals
>isn't perceptive enough to realize that those sole characteristics aren't enough to make something a mammal
I'm not seeing a problem here.
>>
>>54509564
Be aggressive, b e aggressive
>>
>>54510145
>isn't INTELLIGENT enough to realize that those sole characteristics aren't enough to make something a mammal
>>
File: 6149-18595-20548.png (2MB, 1105x1095px) Image search: [Google]
6149-18595-20548.png
2MB, 1105x1095px
>>54509564
>I was at a roleplay tourney
>>
File: 34600452.jpg (78KB, 680x649px) Image search: [Google]
34600452.jpg
78KB, 680x649px
>>54509685
guaranteedreplies.png
>>
File: IMG_0117.jpg (46KB, 512x336px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0117.jpg
46KB, 512x336px
>>54509564
Don't worry anon, I for one appreciate that hot babycakes reference
>>
>>54510098
>>54510099
He actually gave them to other players. I traded for them/was given them when they found better gear or changed their play style.

Technically it could go higher with Haste but there were better ways to spend concentration.

Nothing beats sharp hanging into a pit fiend with 30ac.
>>
Why did Wizards nerf Casters so much? Was it because of Martial whining?
>>
>>54510285
They actually buffed casters a ton compared to the last edition.
>>
>>54510145
Low Int High Wis "Hey, there's some weird things here with hair that produce milk"
Low Wis High Int "I don't notice anything."
Low Int High Wis "I think they're birds"
Low Wis High Int "Sounds like a mammal"
>>
I have only been able to get into DnD recently, so I've only started lurking these threads recently as well.
What's the deal with Divination Wizards? I don't play one or have one in my party, but I've seen a few posts shitting on them and I'm curious as to why.
>>
>>54510285
>still the most powerful classes
???????????????????????????
>>
>>54510317
I don't think people shit on them. I think they're considered fairly strong because they get free spells
>>
>>54510317
It's not usually a problem with Divination Wizards themselves, it's just that the Portent ability tends to frustrate DMs/attract "That Guy" players
>>
>>54510317
Portent, slightly different version of one of the best all around feats.
>>
Hey. I plan on DMing my first game soon, and I find that knowing all of the combat well is tough. Does anyone have a good cheat sheat?
>>
>>54509222
Fuck it, I am going with with
1 paladin
1 wizard
4 clerics
>>
>>54510410
>>
File: DM Screen.pdf (195KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
DM Screen.pdf
195KB, 1x1px
>>54510410
>>
File: 5e Rules Summary.pdf (214KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
5e Rules Summary.pdf
214KB, 1x1px
>>54510453
I prefer the horizontal version
>>
>>54510447
2 Clerics, 1 Sorcerer, 1 fighter, 1 paladin, and one Valor Bard
>>
File: Player's Reference.pdf (182KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Player's Reference.pdf
182KB, 1x1px
>>54510410
This one is also good
>>
>>54509222
Three Battlemasters and three Warlocks.
Pushing Attack (javelins/bows) and Repelling Blast all day.
>>
File: ShameReloading.gif (962KB, 245x213px) Image search: [Google]
ShameReloading.gif
962KB, 245x213px
>>54510272
>Giving magic items designed for a particular character and not expecting people to be smart with it and create an ultra-high AC monster

DMs really need to be less reckless with magic items.
>>
So how do you guys go about designing traps and puzzles for dungeons?
>>
anyone has the dawnforgedcast homebrew stuff or the critter compendium?
>>
>>54510610

Or just let them have good magic items and have fun. He had 34 AC, who cares? Force him to make a CON save and he's toast
>>
File: party.png (650KB, 741x755px) Image search: [Google]
party.png
650KB, 741x755px
I'm playing with a group of mostly new players tomorrow.
>A cleric of a god of death who is really into the game
>A druid who's played a few times and wants to play a long campaign
>A dwarf warlock who has no idea what to expect
>A half-orc fighter who is going to try to harmon quest

I'm not going to pull punches on retardation so the Horc will likely die pretty quick. Maybe he'll make a serious character after he realizes the game isn't going to be a meme.

Do you guys have any advice? I've been DMing for the same group for a few years (pic related is my party drawn by an anon), but this is my first experience with new players. I'm not sure how to handle first timers.
>>
>>54510638
>c'mon sempai, I'm not wearing this for protection, just notice my juicy butt and grab a handful
>I wonder if the elf is gay
>my my, the human sure is nice
>why do I hang with these fagots
>>
>>54510638
Why are elves so sexual?
>>
I just finished running my group through Curse of Strahd and they had a wonderful time.

Looking for something new to run: either Storm King's Thunder or Out of the Abyss. Which one would you guys recommend? I've been told that the Tyranny of Dragons campaign is pretty horrible, but does anyone have any specifics as to why?
>>
File: 1450283042978.png (1MB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1450283042978.png
1MB, 1000x1000px
i want to make a racial feature that shows resiliency, +1 AC or natural armor like the lizard folk?
>>
>>54510729
Hill Dwarf's plus 1 hp per level
>>
>>54509564
JUST LIKE COLUMBUS
HE GOT THE BLOOD LUST
>>
>>54510704
>>54510706

Accurate.
The elf rogue was full slut. Her IRL boyfriend was playing the fighter and she would tease him by going after the elf wizard. The dwarf laughed it off the whole time and the fighter got pissed with the shenanigans but put up with it because he knew they were the only party he had. The elf wizard might have been gay. Fun group desu, lots of conflict and funny moments.

Back to the main point though; does anyone have suggestions on how to handle new players?
>>
>>54510729
Goliath's

Stone's Endurance.

You can focus yourself to occasionally shrug off injury. When you take damage, you can use your reaction to roll a d12. Add your Constitution modifier to the number rolled, and reduce the damage by that total. After you use this trait, you can't use it again until you finish a short or long rest

maybe
>>
File: 1393942045737.jpg (123KB, 950x720px) Image search: [Google]
1393942045737.jpg
123KB, 950x720px
>>54510750
yes i know they already get that, it's a 2 bonus system. this race gets to choose between 3 different racial bonuses that can't be changed after chosen, this bonus is about toughness, gives them the +1hp per level, along with 1 other caveat, i'm deciding between the natural armor or +1ac, though I'm wondering if +1 AC is busted AF regardless and still might just go with the natural armor.
>>
What is the highest possible health a character can have? I was thinking:

>18 con at level 1
>hill dwarf
>barbarian
>roll 12 on hitpoints
>gain 12 every time you level up
>boost con to 20 ASAP
>add +1 hp every level from hill dwarf

Am I missing anything?
>>
>>54510835
Tough feat
>>
>>54510791
...treat them like normal players. Play it a little easy till you know them
>>
>>54510835
toughness feat
>>
>>54510817
Honestly natural armor kind of blows.
>>
>>54510638

Keep an open mind, but don't let them run roughshod, disabuse them of any notions regarding NAT TWENTIES, and try not to get frustrated if you have to explain things.

Also, get them in the habit of bringing snacks.
>>
>>54509685
How about you decide not on minmax basis but maybe think about fun? If you are a typical that guy who abuses every mechanic i wouldnt let you play a lore master either.
>>
>>54510897
>disabuse them of any notions regarding NAT TWENTIES
I explain about 8 times a session that your nat 20 on a saving throw or ability check means nothing please give me the total number.
And the next nat 20 they just forget and scream it again.
>>
What's the least possible health a character can have?
>>
>>54511036
Level 20 Wizard with 8 Con can have 24 hp, assuming a 1 on every hp roll
>>
File: 1500779330924.png (48KB, 248x277px) Image search: [Google]
1500779330924.png
48KB, 248x277px
>>54510835
>>54510842
>>54510848

>18 constitution at level 1
>hill dwarf barbarian

You'd start your huge quest with 12 + 4 + 1, or 17 hp. You're ideally getting 12 (Base) + 4 (CON) + 1 (Hill Dwarf) hp for a grand total of 17 hp per level.

>level 2, 34 hp
>level 3, 51 hp

At level 4 you'd cap out constitution at 20. You're now ideally getting 12 (Base) + 5 (CON) + 1 (Hill Dwarf) hp for a grand total of 18 hp per level.

>level 4, 69
>level 5, 87
>level 6, 105
>level 7, 123

Level 8 take tough. Gain +16 hp from initially taking the feat. You're now ideally getting 12 (Base) + 5 (CON) + 1 (Hill Dwarf) + 2 (Tough) hp for a grand total of 20 hp per level.

>level 8, 143
>level 9, 163
>level 10, 183
>level 11, 203
>level 12, 223
>level 13, 243
>level 14, 263
>level 15, 283
>level 16, 303
>level 17, 323
>level 18, 343
>level 19, 363
>level 20, 383
>level 21, 403

Jesus H. Christ.

>>54511036
I'll do this next.
>>
>>54509824
depends on what they do.
>>
>>54511106
When your Con goes up, you retroactively gain hit points from previous levels as if your Con had been higher, so when you max Con at level 4 you would gain 3 more HP
>>
>>54511150

Confirmed that at least some of them will be attacks
>>
So the party were branded by a powerful cultist that is creating vessels for the god of death to allow him to walk the material plane.

I was thinking the brands could give them some sort of unholy power to tap into at the cost of... something, but I'm not sure how I'd do it in terms of game mechanics.

Any suggestions?
>>
>>54511154
>406 hp
>Bear totem

When he raged he'd have a resistance to nearly all damage. He'd be unstoppable.
>>
>>54511264
>level 21
>>
>>54511106
You're forgetting that the Barbarian's level 20 ability ups their Con by 4, so add 40 hp to your level 20 total

>>54511154
Including this, the total for level 20 should be 426, not 383
>>
>>54511264
I hate having barbs in the party
>>
>>54511264
Be a barbarogue instead.

>Bear totem
>Uncanny dodge
You now take 1/4 damage on a lot of attacks. Considering how hard it is to hit you, uncanny dodge should apply to a lot of attacks anyway.
>>
>>54510716
Anyone?
>>
Your math is wrong.
Assuming level 20 barb and tough with max HP rolls:
>[12(Base) + 7(Con) + 2(Tough) + 1(Hill dwarf)] * 20(Level)
>22*20 = 440 HP
>>
>>54511255
First thing that comes to mind is taking away HP that can't be healed by divine magic, or lowering their max HP. Maybe you could take hit dice.
>>
File: Z4UqVXn.gif (2MB, 350x266px) Image search: [Google]
Z4UqVXn.gif
2MB, 350x266px
>>54511343
So, ideally:

>440 hp
>20 constitution
>20 dexterity (for unarmored defense)
>20 AC
>Rage
>Bear Totem

Fucking hell.

>>54511298
It would be better to stick with barb until level 20 for the +40 hp, right? Leveling rogue would give uncanny dodge but would also make you significantly less huge.
>>
>>54511349
Hmm.

Burn a hit die to gain that hit die in additional necrotic damage?
>>
>>54511289
Lvl 20 Hill Dwarf toughness barb with max rolls
20(12+2+1)+20(7[24 Con])=440

Lvl 20 Hill Dwarf toughness barb with the set moderate roll
(12+7+3)+19(17)=345
>>
>>54511368
>*24 constitution
>*possibly up to 24 AC with a shield

And despite all that, if he's Bear Totem throw a Wis, Cha or Int save his way and watch as he becomes useless.
>>
How do you lads feel about a fun little mental exercise?
The idea is to make a character who picks up a different class every level, with the end goal being a 12th level character who doesn't go beyond the first level in any class. What should the order be for maximum survivability?
>>
My DM is pretty new and after half a dozen sessions he's demanding I make a new character. How do I convince him that he's being a dick?
>>
>>54511465

Why would he demand that? Context
>>
>>54511465
What's your character? Why does he want you to change?
>>
>>54511465
By making a new character that's even worse.
>>
What's your favorite Mystic Order?
>>
What's a good replacement for the death save system?
>>
Relatively new DM here, how do I handle the passage of time with players who do not roleplay frequently?

Do I just go

>3 days pass, 3 months pass, etc

This applies to resting as well. The only times I can think where resting could be a strategic choice is in a long or mega dungeon and time sensitive quests.

I've been able to handle it well enough but it's not what it could be.

Also any tips for the best method of organizing stuff? I've tried and binder, completely pulling stuff out of my ass, Onenote, a notebook. Nothing has stuck so far.
>>
>>54511507
>>54511508
Picked up the good ole' Crossbow Expert+Sharpshooter combo. He's tried to kill my character several times already.

>>54511514
Now there's an idea.
>>
>>54511516

wouldn't know because my DM won't let me play mystic.
>>
>>54511555
Become the DM and bully the old DM.
>>
>>54509564
JUST ONE GIRLY AT THE TOURNEY AND ITS
K I L L
O R
B E
K I L L E D
>>
>>54511523
Binder with the separating tabs and bookmark stickers.
>>
>>54511463
With only first level features maximum survivability would basically just mean heavy armor proficiency. The only thing you could really do for any damage would be cantrips since most other things don't scale so directly. I'd say fighter for the shield, heavy armor, con saves, and fighting style with +1 ac right off the bat, then probably warlock. Past that the order doesn't really matter
>>
>>54511579

but then i still won't know because I still won't be playing mystic.
>>
>>54511368
It would hurt your HP, yes. You'd have ultimately 30 HP less.

But effective immunity to dex saves + halving attacks you receive again + all the other goodies that come with being rogue that works well with a dex barbarian (since you're going for 20 dex) makes it worth it on both the tankiness front and other fronts.

It shouldn't be hard for uncanny dodge + evasion to more than make up for 30 HP when you have hundreds of HP already.

If you do ever reach level 20 though I'd say barbarian is better because the level 20 feature is ridiculous.
>>
>>54511616
Mystic DMPC
>>
>>54511613
>(V) human
>16 con
>16 str
>Heavy armor master
>Fighter
>Defensive fighting style
>Shield
>19 AC
>13 HP
>3 non-magic DR
>>
>>54509175
Can I put a spell from a magic item into the ring of spell storing? Say a Wand of Magic Missiles or a fireball spell from a Wand of Fireball? What if it specifically targets me?
>>
>>54511633
I wish this board had a "DMPC -> cancer" language filter
>>
How do I break the warlock?
>>
>>54509564
>allowing homebrew at a tourney

the honest fuck
>>
>>54511657
>not recognizing Brad Neely's "Be Aggressive" music video.
>>
>>54511463
Fighter (Heavy Armor, Defense, Shield)
Barbarian (Rage)
Cleric: Life (Diciple of Life, Healing word)
Paladin (Divine Sense, Lay on Hands)
Warlock:Fiend (Eldritch Blast, Dark One's Blessing)
Ranger (Favored Enemy, Natural Explorer)
Rogue (Expertise, Sneak Attack)
Sorcerer: Draconic (Draconic Resilience)
Monk
Druid
Wizard
>>
>>54511649
Add some fighter and sorcerer levels to it. Eldritch Blast like a crazy person.
>>
File: question mark.jpg (42KB, 712x712px) Image search: [Google]
question mark.jpg
42KB, 712x712px
>>54511689
i never even heard of the name

anyways, another question, is there any point in natural attacks for pc races other than flavor? lizardfolk get a bite, tabaxi get claws, yet their damage remains pretty static and they never become able to go through magic resistance.
>>
You and your party enter a dungeon that you know to be filled with traps, puzzles, and various deadly monsters. The dungeon, however, contains a magical field throughout that switches your highest ability score with your lowest while inside the dungeon - no magic that you know of can protect you from this.

How does your character react, and how does your party clear the dungeon?
>>
I don't understand the difference between investigation and perception
>>
>>54511649
2 Warlock/3 assassin/2 Fighter/13 Sorcerer Prob
>>
>>54511748
Perception is about noticing things. Investigation is about actively searching for something.
>>
>>54511748

perception is your finely tuned senses and investigation is knowing where to look and what to look for.

Perception is for spotting, investigation is for searching.
>>
>>54511692

Barbarian first. You can't rage in heavy armour, and you will be using the rage. You also get +1 max HP over choosing fighter.
>>
>>54511748
>When you look around for clues and make deductions based on those clues, you make an Intelligence (Investigation) check.

>Your Wisdom (Perception) check lets you spot, hear, or otherwise detect the presence of something.
>>
>>54511733
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2XGp5ix8HE
>>
>>54511748
Easy version:
>Investigation
You thoroughly search the study room for hidden levers and switches, turning over paintings and taking out books from the bookcase in the process. Your investigation determines how effectively you find a thing you have time to examine extensively.

>Perception
While you're searching, the wizard who owns the study comes down the stairs. Your perception determines how well you notice something happening in the moment.
>>
>>54511761
>>54511774
>>54511785
ok but if I want to search a padlock for traps or a wall for a secret door how are they any different why wouldn't I just pick the highest
>>
>>54511792

Someone with high perception might not know what traps and a secret door look like. If the trap or secret door is there and you know how to detect it, you don't need the best eyesight in the world to find it.
>>
>>54511792
Stop spoiler tagging you fuck
Anyway, the padlock would be investigation because you're literally investigating how it works. The secret door would be perception, unless you're actively searching for a secret door, which would be investigation
>>
>>54511743
>tfw my character would probably actually be more powerful
I can see everyone else suffering immensely, though.
>>
>>54511743

What if two stats are tied for highest?
>>
>>54511777
Ah, forgot no rage in armor. Armor beats rage though. The AC will save way more damage, especially at those lower levels. This pushes Barb way down the totem pole. Probably after Ranger or Rogue
>>
>>54511832
Then they both get swapped
Same with stats tied for lowest
>>
Is the drunken fist path any good?
>>
File: im stupid.jpg (97KB, 646x954px) Image search: [Google]
im stupid.jpg
97KB, 646x954px
>>54511807
>>54511818
sorry im very stupid I still don't get it
>>
>>54511743
>my rogue/bard's 19 charisma and 7 wisdom switch
Guess I went from support mage to scout ooc.
>>
>>54511840
Pretty sure that rage will save you from a lot more damage than +1 AC unless you do a lot of combats in a day.
The extra AC would be more useful later in the game when other damage types start hitting you while you're raging and you do more combats in a day, though.
>>
>>54511850
If the player knows what they're looking for, use Investigation. Otherwise, Perception.
>>
I'm trying to world build and this is my first time DMing. Any advice?
>>
>>54511892
Don't try to be too creative. If you take it too far your world will be a retarded mess that nobody but you will like.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>54511748
DMG p238
>>
>>54511866
>+1 AC
A defense Fighter in full plate with a shield has 21 AC

A Barb with 16 Dex and Con and a shield (max for this char) has 18 AC, 19 after getting defense.

That is a 2 AC gap for 2 minutes or less of weapon resistance.
>>
>>54511850
Investigation is putting on your sherlock holmes hat and tearing up the bad guy's office looking for clues.

Perception is noticing the goblin sneaking up on you with a hilariously oversized mallet.
>>
>>54511934

the barbarian can start with the shield, the fighter can't start with full plate
>>
File: IMG_1270.jpg (157KB, 750x1000px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1270.jpg
157KB, 750x1000px
I'm not cut out for DMing. No matter what I do, I can't fucking run a combat that doesn't stretch into an hour of referencing back and forth to remember how rules minutiae works. We're four sessions in and I still end up cracking open the book whenever someone says they make an "offhand attack" or tries explaining that having "mounted combat" gives "evasion" to the Druid when they're riding it. It slows things down so much and I hate it and nobody seems invested anymore when it happens
>>
>>54511967
Depends on how the items work out. You're still going to need the full plate at later levels so you'll need the proficiency. Starting Barb will get you killed later on
>>
>>54511892
Three lines max for your hook/why the party is doing what they're doing - if you can't simplify it down to that, slim it down. Shit doesn't have to be super elaborate and ~original~ to build up into something layered and interesting. Do some dot points on the world. Establish a starting point with some major and minor NPCs and see what the party wants to pursue.

Have a few dot points of places of interest, and try to tie them into your player characters. You want a skeleton of a world and some major events that can be filled in and adjusted as the party takes interest and participates in the world. Make a quick map and fill in details as sessions happen.
>>
>>54511987
You can do it, anon. This is how it is for many new DMs. If you want to make it, study the rulebook. Take notes. Be prepared for everything possible within your party.
>>
>>54511967
V Human can start with Heavy Armor Mastery
>>
>>54511553
Polearm Master GWM Fighter/ Barbarian / Paladin

Break your GM in
>>
>>54511553
So you are a dick and you want him to stop balancing his game? How about you fuck right off munchkin
>>
>>54511987
Make some flashcards with combat rules for yourself, talk to your group about streamlining things instead of treating the game like a spreadsheet. Adjust monster hp, or change it from a solid number to 'number of strikes' - instead of that monster having 45hp, it takes 3 hits to kill.
>>
Wizard or Sorceror for followers ?
>>
>>54511934
The character would have to have 13 in every stat unless I'm not remembering the multiclass requirements correctly. 16 con/dex is pretty optimistic, and I don't think the defense fighting style applies without armor. Having resistance for one fight of the day isn't really worth it unless the DM is giving some sort of pity bonus to ability scores
>>
>>54511927
>>54511938
I still don't get it. Sorry guys...
>>
>>54512037

>no sentinel
>>
So am I misreading things or is the Arcane Trickster's Mage Hand Legerdemain basically useless for stealthily fucking with people on account of Mage Hand having verbal and somatic components?
>>
>>54511792
Say there is a hidden door behind a bookcase. No matter how high your perception, you can't see that door. An investigation roll to search the room for hidden doors might let you find it without having to specifically tell the DM that you look behind the bookcase. However, the DM could decide that there is a draft coming under the hidden door, and a perception roll would detect that breeze, perhaps giving you a hint or even just letting you discover the door.
>>
>>54511523
Yes, ask the characters what they're doing as time passes. They can learn a skill, earn money, search for info, anything they can think of. There's some rules for it in the DMG, I think.
Most parties take 3 short rests per day. If they're in dangerous territory, you can consider a roll for an encounter during a long rest. If they're inside a dungeon or enemy fortress, you can consider rolling for an encounter during a short rest.
>>
>>54512064
Good point. I suppose the best option is straight human 14, 13, 14, 13, 13, 14. You top out at Chain Mail
>>
>>54512111
Sleight of Hand vs Perception to not get caught
>>
>>54512050
found the shitty DM
>>
>>54512064
>>54512124
Or wait, if you cap at Chain for Heavy Armor then Medium armor is better amd you want 14 Dex. In that case then you might start barb then grab medium armor later
>>
>>54509751
I do yeah.
Spiderwoods.
https://funnyjunk.com/channel/dungeons-n-drags/The+heroes+of+the+woods/NghlLAt/
>>
Any good rogue gimmick builds that arent just sneaky shadows dickstabbing

I hear they make decent grapplers?
>>
>>54512142
Funny how you know you're being That Guy but you project anyway
>>
>>54511934
It's only a 2 AC gap until level 2.
At level 1, most damage you'll be taking is physical and you're less likely to have extremely long adventuring days.
Two minutes of rage will be at least 66% of combat time, if not 100%.
You start with 12+con health instead of 10+con health and you effectively double that health with rage for most purposes.

Rage is definitely better at level 1, and by level 2 it's only a 1 AC gap because the difference between heavy armour and medium armour is 1 AC.
>>
>>54512036
You might as well get tough instead. HAM is more situational than +2 HP/level.
And you'll never get any feats after that.
>>
>>54512178
Show me on the battle map where the big bad rogue touched your monsters
>>
>>54512188
>two minutes of rage is 66-100% of combat
Not according to the DMG. It is 33%
>>54512204
Tough is better but regardless you can't do any feats because you are required to go human
>>
>>54512173
Expertise in Athletics is God-tier for making sure your grapple check beats out the enemy's.
>>
>>54512124
Variant human with an ability score boosting feat could have all 13's, so it might be a better choice, but the idea of only having a +1 from abilities is pretty off putting
>>
File: MKcxSyppSD6j6.gif (2MB, 352x217px) Image search: [Google]
MKcxSyppSD6j6.gif
2MB, 352x217px
>>54512232
You're trying too hard
>>
>>54512008
Here's what I've got so far.
>Two Nations right next to each other.
>Recently had a truce after decades of on again off again war.
>Both are aggressively colonizing.
>Northern nation of Amarrayo is heavily industrialized. Southern nation of Rojannheim replaces technology with magic and is almost like Hogwarts on a national level.
>Party's hired by Rojannheim general as a mercenary group to cross the border to an Amarrayo Temple and steal an artifact.
>Party is hired because if they're caught, the general has plausible deniability.
>Artifact is a gateway to a bigger, more Globetrotting quest involving physical manifestations of deities looking to ask havoc on the world after millennia of slumber.

This lore sounds interesting?
>>
>>54512069
Then idk if we can even help you
>>
>>54512173
I'm a big fan of the melee rogues so some of my favorite Swashbuckler combos...
>Swashbuckler/Battle Masters
Multiple Sneak Attacks every round
Shields
Action Surges
Fighting Styles

>Swashbuckler/Swords Bard
Dissonant Whisper combination
Increased AC
More movement
Support

>Swashbuckler/Warlock or Swashbuckler/Sorcerer
Booming Blade
Armor of Agathys
Automatic Magic items/Familiar
They also balance nicely with the charisma modifier.
>>
>>54512244
At level 1?
Yeah fucking right.
Who the hell is going to make level 1 characters fight through 6-8 encounters when the casters only have two (or sometimes three) spell slots and barely much else in the way of features?

They'll be level 2 before they even get close to a 6th encounter.
>>
>>54512111
Even if I wouldn't do this for most casters, I'd make an exception for Arcane Trickster and say that as part of their training and expertise with Mage Hand, they could cast it without attracting attention.
>>
>>54512304
Spellcasters have cantrips
>>
>>54512273
If the artifact is so important why would he trust nobodies to get it for him? Also wouldn't they be bad at the job anyways because of the their low level/lack of experience
>>
>multiple sneak attacks every round
I don't think you can do sneak attack but once per round
>>
>>54512069
Have you ever been out at night and felt like something is following you or noticed something moving out of the corner of your eye? That's perception.
Stopping to search for the thing you think is following you and actively seeking it out is investigation.

Perception can be considered noticing something is wrong or out of place, but investigation is actively looking or searching for the thing that's fucked up. Perception is passive, investigation is active. Do you understand that? If not then I don't think there's any hope for you.
>>
>>54512117
I think I'm starting to get the picture. But say a high wisdom low intelligence character spots something, but doesn't necessarily figure it out, what's stopping the player from using his real life triple digit IQ to do it?
>>
>>54512173
Barbarian-rogues make great grapplers.

Also, rogues are good at multiclassing into pretty much any class with extra attack as a class feature.

There's also netfighting which is RAW but horribly not RAI even if they haven't said it's RAI where you sneak attack using nets as a melee weapon.

Most rogues should default to hand crossbows but ATs can go for melee if they want with GFB/BB and then they can pick up mobile to be a more versatile swashbuckler.
There's a lot of 'sneak attack as reaction' gimmicks such as using action surge / haste / riposte.

>>54512313
But being a spellcaster isn't about spamming cantrips all day.
I'm pretty sure the intention is lower level characters have slightly less encounters in a day.
Not to mention hardly any DMs follow the encounter regime and even if they did I'm again doubting they'd do it at level 1.
>>
>>54512295
>Multiple Sneak Attacks every round

w-what
>>
>>54512348
>what's stopping the player from using his real life triple digit IQ to do it
His common sense of decency and ability to RP properly while not being a complete shitbird. Stuff like that is why low int characters can be tough to RP because you actively have to TRY to be stupid in character.
>>
>>54511748
Any sane DM won't have you roll perception repeatedly to find traps if you're not time pressured.
From that point you don't need to roll to find the traps, you need to roll to understand your surroundings.

You already know that perhaps the floor looks a bit odd over there but you don't know why, so you roll investigation.

Otherwise if you're time pressured and running from enemies the DM might not tell you that that part of the ground looks rather odd so you'd have to roll perception to see that.

Of course most DMs just ask you to repeatedly roll perception on fucking everything hot god damnit
>>
>>54512372
Oh I've never seen anyone roleplay their low ability scores.
>>
>>54512173
There's always combat medic Thief with the Healer feat. Bringing people back forever as a bonus action.
>>
>>54512318
The general hired multiple bands of mercenaries at the same time, to the point that some groups have taken to attacking others as a form of aggressive competition. This'll be one of the ways the party'll gain exp from fights.

No one realizes just how important the artifact is. The general intends to sell it to a noble and pay the party a finder's fee. Once the party teaches the temple, I intend to have it activate. One of them is an Angel with amnesia, which I talked about around yesterday, so his latent holy aura will activate the artifact.
>>
As a DM how do I dispel the "us vs the DM" mentality that has slowly built up with my players.

I try to be fair and own up to my mistakes during the game and am even happy to rewind/undo a little bit if my mistakes hurt the players too much but if it's too much trouble or would ruin the flow too much I will try to enforce "DMs law" and just tell them to deal with it. But any time this happens they get really salty and have started talking amongst themselves more. I suspect they are cheating a little bit to spite me when they think I've done them wrong but checking their sheets all the time would obviously just turn them against me even more. I feel like we started off well with little meta gaming and cheating but it's gotten worse over time.

How do you deal with fairness when DMing?
>>
>>54512348
There's nothing stopping the player from coming up with an excuse in character why the character would find out about it. Pose it as 'Ogg the orc found this particular section of wall rather odd so he pokes it a bit (in conveniently the right place that might open the door because the player worked that out)' rather than 'Ogg the orc knows exactly how this works and pokes it right in the right area'

Int shouldn't dictate how much fun a player is allowed to have, int should be an aid for when players are stuck and to give them information to work with.
>>
>>54512382
Really? Bad roleplayers then. People roleplay their low scores all the time at my game
>>
File: Sneak Attack.png (320KB, 456x304px) Image search: [Google]
Sneak Attack.png
320KB, 456x304px
>>54512325
>>54512352
Sneak Attack is once per turn not per round.

Battle Masters have an excellent ability called Riposte which allows you to expend a superiority dice and attack a creature when they miss you with a melee attack as a reaction, if you hit you get sneak attack because Swashbucklers.
Example:
>Swashbucklers turn: Attacks target gets sneak attack
>Opponents turn: attacks swashbuckler with melee attack and misses,
>Swashbuckler uses reaction to attack, due to it being a new turn on a hit they get sneak attack.
>>
>>54512352
He meant 2. One as your action, one as your reaction with Riposte.
>>
File: 1482455559320.jpg (21KB, 471x480px) Image search: [Google]
1482455559320.jpg
21KB, 471x480px
>>54512412
Or you could just grab Sentinel and do it every turn forever
>>
>>54512412
>>54512422

if they have to miss you with an attack that's not every round
>>
>>54512412
A reaction isn't your turn. It's obvious that you've just found something that clearly wasn't intended, and I don't even think a compelling argument can be made for the validity of your claim anyways.
>>
>>54512441

Pretty sure sage advice clarified that getting sneak attacks on reactions is RAI, but I'll check. Either way it is RAW
>>
>>54512412
Are reactions ever referred to as turns? I thought turn only meant your place in the initiative order
>>
>>54512459

A reaction takes place during the turn of the person who triggered it.

Example: you move and attack someone in melee. That attack happens on your turn. Enemy tries to run away and eats an opportunity attack.That attack happens on their turn. Turn and round are deliberately separate terms in 5e.
>>
>>54512457
Looks like you're right. My bad.
>>
>>54512399
I found that my players didn't drop the "Us vs the DM" behavior until I gave them 2 sessions of social exploration and "combat". I don't know if that'd work for you.
>>
>>54512399
I guess you just gotta build mutual trust with them. Talk with your players man, that's generally the best advice you can get. Talk with them plainly and let them know that this is ruining the game for you. Ask what are the problems they perceive with your DMing and how you could get better.

Make sure to let them know that your place is that of a storyteller, and ultimately you're working with THEM to create an epic story about THEIR characters.
>>
>>54512483
>my players didn't drop the "Us vs the DM" behavior until I gave them 2 sessions of social exploration and "combat"
Not him, but what does that mean?
>>
>>54512399

Pretty much this : >>54512488

Also be sure that you don't do too attached to your story.
>>
>>54512436
>>54512437
These are both true! You both make great points. Apologies for the misuse of the word "every", I should say there is a chance of 2 sneak attacks on a round.

>>54512441
Correct a reaction is not your turn, but to Sneak Attack it does not require it to be your turn. That's why when a rogue makes an opportunity attack they may get Sneak Attack if they meet the criteria. This was intended as it states "once per turn" not "once per round", or "once on your turn".

Also to add to this a hasted rogue can use their hasted action to attack and hold their action to attack again on a trigger if both those attacks meet the criteria for sneak attack you get sneak attack.
>>
>>54512069
Perception is something that will immediately effect one of your senses. It's your ability to plant yourself and just look around and focus on your surroundings.

>A cold draft signifying a passage
>A foul smell hinting to a nearby corpse
>A slight bit of smoke rising up near the ceiling
>A dim rumble from deep within a cave

Investigation is actively prodding around and looking. Something that you will discover after looking under a rug or behind a bookshelf.
>>
>>54512501
I just tossed them NPCs to interact with, people related to their backstory, a young merchant in debt to a greater merchant guild, and a racketeering cult. Generally problems that could be solved better with roleplay and throwing gold around then dice rolling.
>>
>>54512501
I just tossed them NPCs to interact with, people related to their backstory, a young merchant in debt to a greater merchant guild, and a racketeering cult. Generally problems that could be solved better with roleplay and throwing gold around then swords and damage spells. I had just dragged my party through a difficult dungeon.
>>
>>54512538
What would the fake book in a dusty bookshelf that opens the secret door behind it be
what about one worn and scratched padlock that will unlock a strongbox instead of springing a trap like the pristine neighbor next to it
>>
>>54512573
>>54512555
What the hell?
>>
>>54512580
>You notice that one book looks cleaner than the others.
Or
>Skimming through the titles, you notice that all of them are about famous vampires of the region. Except one, which is about vampire hunters.
>>
>>54512580
Both investigation, since they require close examination and involve an active goal for the player investigating them
>>
>>54512580
>What would the fake book in a dusty bookshelf that opens the secret door behind it be
This would involve walking over to check the bookshelf. Investigation. Easy.

>what about one worn and scratched padlock that will unlock a strongbox instead of springing a trap like the pristine neighbor next to it
This is more complicated. If the player decides to look, it could be a normal or easy investigation check.

>Player approaches the padlocks.
>"I check them both."
>Rolls investigation DC 10.

If the player decided to jump in headfirst, you could have them check perception to see if they notice something even if they're not paying much attention.
>Player approaches padlocks.
>"Hey, could you make a perception check?"
>Rolls perception DC 15+.

That being said, that is just how I would run it.
>>
>>54512483
Not really sure what you mean by >social exploration and "combat"
Do you mean just kinda letting things go their way for a few sessions? I was kind of thinking of maybe doing that. I feel like maybe I have been trying to make them 'earn their fun' a bit too much.

>>54512488
This is obviously the best way to go about it but I have tried talking to them a bit 1 on 1 trying to help them understand what I am going for with the game but never really talked directly about these issues and they seem to understand when I'm talking to them but as soon as they get into a group it's back to the same old. Thing is I have known these guys for years and I know being direct with them like that would only make them want to go against me more. I could just sit them down in a group and tell them what's up but it would probably either help the game or end it completely.

I just really hate any kind of meta gaming and probably have a much wider view of what I consider meta gaming than most people. We have this weird equilibrium where the more excited they get about the game the more they go looking stuff up online which in turn makes me less excited and dulls the game back down.
>>
>>54509175
3.5e player here
Can i use source material from older editions in 5e? Im looking to join another group who enjoys playing broken shit, and i was wondering whether i can take chicken infested as a trait for 5e
>>
File: IMG_1081.jpg (44KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1081.jpg
44KB, 500x333px
>Players enter dungeon, seemingly abandoned wizard's tower overrun by magical experiments, etc.
>At the bottom floor of the dungeon, there is a halfling wizard and a mindflayer standing paralyzed inside a ritual circle
>The wizard is holding a scroll with the incantation of the "Hold Person" spell open on it
>The mindflayer is holding his hand up towards the wizard, as if in the middle of casting a spell
>The wizard succeeds an arcana check to surmise that the spell circle is amplifying and sustaining the power of the spell scroll
>Wizard says not to step inside the circle and casts mage hand to steal the mindflayer's magical pendant and the wizard's spellbook
>Players start to leave the room
>Wizard player turns around and goes, "oh yeah, while we're at it I should probably use mage hand to grab that "hold person" scroll too."
>Call session

Is there any hope for my players, /5eg/? Should I just let them die here? I feel like GMs trying to teach players a "lesson" by killing their guys is usually assholish but I'm utterly fucking dumbfounded that this just happened.
>>
>>54512768
Are they good aligned? What i tend to do in this situation is get them involved with evil aligned NPCs, to the point where no one else will talk to them, paladins lose abilities, etc, as well as evil people not entirely trusting them because they arent actually evil

Its a mind flayer. Its lawful evil. Have it capture them and make some deals
>>
>>54512768
It's pretty clear they shouldn't do that. Make sure the group actually talks to each other, make sure they all agree to it, and play it out.
>>
>>54512768
Just hit them with a hard encounter that'll likely drain their resources a bit and fuck them over later on.

Or, even worse, don't make it an encounter, make it something worse. The mindflayer runs off and fucks their parents. Anal probe style.
>>
>>54512768
If they free the mindflayer obviously they're gonna be fighitng the mindflayer.
>>
File: black dragon 1.png (110KB, 341x326px) Image search: [Google]
black dragon 1.png
110KB, 341x326px
Long story short my players have become aware that a black dragon expects them to deliver a legendary magic item to him, and if they don't he'll definitely attack them.

Through clever scrying they also discovered that this dragon has a twin brother and, despite obviously not wanting to face two adult dragons at once (they're level 10), they still seem intent on bringing the fight to the dragon rather than waiting (which is probably my fault for giving them one in-game month to deliver).

Now they are planning to convince their rival party to come help defeat the dragon twins. As awesome as that would be, it would likely mean a clusterfuck with up to 10 PCs, two adult dragons dragons and their legendary actions plus their minions.

Help? How the fuck do I make this work?
>>
>>54512768

how did the mindflayer cast Hold Person off the scroll the halfling is holding?
>>
>>54512852
The halfling is casting the hold person spell, which paralyzed the mindflayer (and himself) before the mindflayer could finish casting the spell he in the middle of casting
>>
>>54512836
Have the rival party draw one of the dragons away and do that fight off screen. Have some large event from the other fight have a distant effect on the PC fight, or the lair effects from one fight bleed over to the other.
>>
>>54512895

I'm too used to thinking in terms of rounds and turns to imagine interrupting a spell cast with hold person like that
>>
What beast companion can advantage to my elven accuracy ranger
>>
>>54512954
It's not that hard to understand. Rounds and turns are abstractions, everything is happening simultaneously.

Or to put it simply: the halfling won initiative and managed to cast Hold Person before the mindflayer's turn, who was "interrupted mid-casting" narratively. Even though mindflayers are aberrations and thus Hold Person would have no effect.[/spoiler
>>
>>54512957
Any beast companion can use the help action to give you advantage with one of your bow attacks. My personal favorite beast companion is the giant poisonous snake though, since it can easily take avoid harm and dish it back out.

My personal second place goes to the wolf, for my mounted Goblin Ranger who swoops in with hit and run tactics.
>>
>>54512995

No I got that after reading >>54512895, I'm saying that's why I assumed only one of them could have been "in the process of casting a spell" when it went off, hence why I assumed the mindflayer had cast Hold Person
>>
What do you fags think of a race who get a feature that gives the ability to crib feats from one other race?
>>
>>54513042
>crib feats from one other race
What did he mean by this
>>
>>54513054

Feats for Races....?
>>
>>54511553
Just talk to him and make him understand that this is a perfectly normal combination as intended by the rules and if it brakes his game he should maybe learn how the game was intended. And he should realise that he is not playing against you. On the other hand he is the dm and if he really wanted to fuck you he could just make your character loose a hand or whatever (even though it would not prove his qualities as a DM). So just talk to him and maybe give him a few tips or give him a copy hof the DMG if he hast read it already. Classics are for example to many long rests, too few encounters, not using the enviroment, one dimensional enemies, wrong enemies/matchups DC wise, letting everything resolve through combat etc.
Dont counter a dick move by being a bigger dick.
>>
Rolled 3, 1, 10, 11, 11, 8 = 44 (6d20)

Rolling a Bard, let's see how suave I am
>>
>>54513093
>not rolling 3d6 6 times
>>
>>54509496
>>54509433
Somewhat related about this, are there Celestial factions at war with each other? I could be content even with trivial scale of antagonism
>>
Rolled 16, 1, 11, 16, 11, 13 = 68 (6d20)

>>54513093
Rolling for Glass Bones and Paper Skin.
>>
Rolled 19, 2, 5, 1, 7, 13 = 47 (6d20)

>>54513100
I would if I could do so neatly in one post

Anyway, rolling for fighter after Bard boi dies by falling off the cart the party is travelling on
>>
File: 1480900714749.jpg (232KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1480900714749.jpg
232KB, 1024x768px
>Find Familiar can cast Touch spells
>Glyph of Warding is a Touch spell
>Fly your birb in an enemy city, blow up their infrastructure with your flying explosive rune planter (though you'd need to be within 100 feet of it for casting, so set up the Renaissance equivalent of a suspicious van)
You can even plant your rune and detonate it later, and load it with spells like Shatter for maximum structure damage if you're a Bard.

Maybe I'll make this a plot hook, with a shoehorned pic related the one responsible.
>>
Rolled 17, 13, 5, 8, 16, 13 = 72 (6d20)

Lizardman ranger
>>
>>54513125
Just roll 18d6 and add each trio together.
>>
>>54513125
Noble background

I'm a clumsy, adolescent retard who can't take a punch, but god damn am I strong. I pretty much can't do anything if I'm not protected by the plate armor father bought me, and although I can't speak I've managed to observe the actions of those around me in my father's social circle enough to be able to carry myself with a slightly above average amount of swagger.

Champion archetype obviously.
>>
Rolled 5, 3, 3, 4, 2, 6, 4, 2, 1, 5, 3, 6, 6, 1, 4, 2, 6, 1, 3, 2, 6, 6, 2, 5 = 88 (24d6)

>>54513154
>18d6
>not 24d6 drop every fourth
>>
>>54513189
>>18d6
>>not 24d6 drop every fourth
Literally no different, unless you mean to emulate 4d6d1, but that's for baby men.
>>
>leave for 30 minutes and return to one new post
Come on guys, did the thread really die that fast?
>>
>>54513424
It's 4 am we're asleep
>>
>>54513424
5eg slows to a crawl at these hours. I can post something and often not get a reply until 7 AM.

t. third shift anon
>>
something i don't understand

If someone sneaks up on an enemy, passing stealth checks, and wants to attack, from what I understand from the PHB you would roll initiative.

But the enemy doesn't know you're there. Why do you not automatically go before them?

I only came to notice this after building a rouge because of assassinate relying on surprise.
>>
>>54513460
You should get a surprise round before initiative is rolled right?
>>
>>54513460
You would roll initiative, but the enemy would be surprised. The surprised condition means they cannot take actions or reactions until their next turn.

>>54513484
No "surprise round" in 5e, just the surprised condition
>>
>>54513496
Ok that makes more sense. What if the rogue in a party was the only stealthy one. The rest of the party initiates combat. Can an enemy be considered "surprised" at least for the sake of assassinate by the rogue?
>>
>>54513612
A creature can only be surprised if they are not already in combat. Once combat has started, you can only get the "attacking a target before their first move" bonus from Assassinate and the opportunity for sneak attacks from being hidden.
>>
Oh no, it finally happened. I started homebrewing rules.
>>
>>54513651
ok thanks, playing my monk/rogue tomorrow so these are things I need to know
>>
>>54513668
Glad I could help, anon
>>
>>54513663
What have you changed?
>>
>>54513668
Assassin is a really bad archetype because of how extremely niche all their class features are, and how they all incentivize a type of gameplay that runs counter to party play.
>>
I have a interesting idea for a boss battle. I'm not sure if there is any lore about this happening. I know that powerful humanoids can become Liches. Dragons can become Dracoliches. Has there ever been a giant Lich? Like a Storm giant, Fire Giant, Ice Giant, etc that has become undead?

If not what would the stats, and CR of such a thing be like?
>>
>>54513739
Cloud Giants are the most magically inclined IIRC, so they'd likely make good liches (especially with their masks).
>>
File: Vestiges of the Divergence.png (7MB, 3654x1708px) Image search: [Google]
Vestiges of the Divergence.png
7MB, 3654x1708px
Alright, rate these items from Mercer's campaign guide.
>>
File: dragolich template.png (816KB, 1299x602px) Image search: [Google]
dragolich template.png
816KB, 1299x602px
>>54513739
You could just apply this template to any strong creature.
>>
>>54513785
All the whole 'awaken the magic item' stuff is shit and all the 'it's basically a weapon that makes you do more damage with cool flavour' is shit
So they're all shit
>>
>>54512295
>Swashbuckler/Battle Masters
How do I play this exactly?
>>
>>54513899
Goading Attack into 1v1 Sneak Attacks
>>
>>54513899
Also, Riposte into off-turn Sneak Attacks, and Rally for flavor and because you should have decent Charisma as a Swashbuckler
>>
>>54513899
Riposte, Trip Attack (If dual wielding), Feinting Attack (If Sword & Board).

If you're wondering about flavor, think stylish duelist with a silver tongue.
>>
File: tumblr_oqqrlu3UZA1v4fvg9o1_1280.jpg (99KB, 685x1187px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_oqqrlu3UZA1v4fvg9o1_1280.jpg
99KB, 685x1187px
>>54513899
>>54513974
Oh and Precision Attack is not bad, you have to hit your target after all.
>>
File: 1477108355853.png (820KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
1477108355853.png
820KB, 1024x576px
How would a shapechanger go about concealing its true form from a creature with truesight?
>>
File: 006 - GUPj86F.jpg (145KB, 940x687px) Image search: [Google]
006 - GUPj86F.jpg
145KB, 940x687px
>>54514022
I would like to know an answer to this as well. I have a Changeling who has no idea it's a Changeling and is living his life as a human monk.
>>
Is 5e good for a darker, lower fantasy setting, or should I look for another system? How could I run it in 5e?
>>
>>54514174
It can do it, it's all in the tone you want.

I quite like Shadow of the Demon Lord as a 5e alternative, and it's pretty dark.
>>
>>54514174
There is a lot of easily accessible magic and it very much promotes playing none-human races. So I've come to believe its not good for low-fantasy/magic settings.
>>
>>54511624
You lose 30 hp for 15 levels of d8 hit dice. You lose 40 hp for not having 24 Con. You lose some average resistance for having a limited number of rages that can end early. It is decidedly not Huge.
>>
>>54514316
>Not having 24 con
>Implying you ever reach 20
If you do expect to play any length of time at 20 barbarian is actually okay

>limited number of rages that can end early
3 rages is more than enough normally unless you like to rage at EVERYTHING.
Also, 'ending early' is never a problem when literally all you need to do is make attacks at shit. People seem to forget you can throw things.
>>
So after playing d&d for 2-3 years now started on 5e and like it but one question i still cant find the fucking answer to
What in the fuck is the weave and why is it so forgettable
40k has the warp, demons and shit live in there and the place is literally a well of emotions
What in the fuck is D&D's place? a place called the weave i cant remember its name half the time cause i don't know fuck all about it all i know is a god resides over it and that shit changes every now and again
>>
>>54514510
The "weave" is just a bullshit word used to describe the laws of reality that casters manipulate to do magic.
>>
>>54514261
You could just restrict access to magic, couldn't you? Bar full caster classes, homebrew races to replace dwarves and elves with human variants elder scrolls style, etc.
>>
File: tx.jpg (155KB, 702x598px) Image search: [Google]
tx.jpg
155KB, 702x598px
>>54514510
You can get a real good look at the weave and it's horrors here.
>>
>>54511733
>their damage remains pretty static and they never become able to go through magic resistance.
So do the weapons you start with, but no. They're mostly flavor abilities. Mostly. Minotaur horns are beefy.
>>
Anyone use Initiative variants like Side Initiative, or Speed Factor?

I drafted these rules based on those, thoughts on what does and doesn't work or experience with either one?

http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/rJb6tLfNU-

The goal is faster combat, keeping everyone engaged and prevent them from spacing out when it's not their turn.
>>
>>54514769
You're not going to get faster combat by adding in another step of math, sorry.
>>
>>54514785
>http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/rJb6tLfNU-

What about the second option (the one based on Side Initiative, where everyone on one side goes simultaneously).
>>
>>54510002
>Main Character
>>
File: 1500954607568.jpg (167KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1500954607568.jpg
167KB, 1600x1200px
>have some ideas
>haven't written something down since 7th grade
Is it possible to run a campaign of 5e completely from the mind?
>>
>>54514889
>Hasn't written since 7th grade.
..How? Do you just mean on your free time?
But yeah just use a pre written adventure as a base then just think quick on your feet, its a good idea to have the "skeleton" of the plot thought out
>>
>>54514889
You are writing something right now.
>>
>>54514889
>havent written since 7th grade
Digital storage my dude unless you dont allow your self to put notes on a phone for some quick pre-game prep
i think its certainly possible but it would take a great dm and no more then a couple of days between every session
There was a week where i played d&d everyday it was just Wake up- Eat- Play D&D for 6 hours- Write notes for important shit for about 45 minutes- Stay up for 2-3 hours- Sleep- Repeat
And i still forgot npc's names
It certainly would have its hitches in a normal game
>>
>>54514959
no I mean like I have only written posts here on 4chan when I started using it a decade ago
>>
File: 1405571868119.png (291KB, 530x512px) Image search: [Google]
1405571868119.png
291KB, 530x512px
Give me some cool twists for a otherwise regular setting
>>
>>54511967
>the barbarian can start with the shield
But the barbarian doesn't start with a shield. Or armor. It's cheap, but not in their starting gear.
>>
>>54511649
Tell him about every other class combination that does more damage and still has greater utility. Point out that all of his damage options are actually taxes, and he's sacrificing being able to do interesting and useful things for subpar damage. Remind him that the DM will never, ever work his patron into the story, so he's just a gothic edgelord as far as everyone else is concerned. Make sure he knows everyone thinks his eyeliner and lipstick makes him look like a polesmoker.
>>
>>54511987
If it makes you feel any better, all of my combats also last an hour, and that's with encyclopedic rules knowledge. It's just THESE FUCKING CASTERS CAN'T REMEMBER WHAT THEIR SPELLS DO, and even if I do, they have to look up their own shit non-stop to figure out what they want to do.

>okay wizard it's your turn
>uhhhhh hold on....... hold on........ hm....... i could do this....... or this......... or this other thing...........
>have you been thinking about this for the entire past round?
>no, i was going to fire bolt that orc, but then fighter killed him
>so why not fire bolt one of the other orcs
>i don't know..... so much has changed
LITERALLY ONE ORC HAS DIED
THE ONLY AOE SPELL YOU HAVE IS BURNING HANDS
YOU CAN'T GET IN RANGE TO CAST IT
AND IF YOU COULD, THERE WOULDN'T BE ALLIES IN THE EFFECT ANYWAY
SO WHAT IS THE PROBLEM

The Cleric is just as bad. He does a lot of waffling back and forth about whether or not to cast Spiritual Weapon. Then he casts Spiritual Weapon. Every. Fucking. Time. Because why wouldn't you?
>>
>>54512437
It is if you're also a Monk using Dodge as a bonus action as long as your ki holds out.
>>
>>54512768
Why would a Wizard, with all his Intelligence and knowledge of how spells work, try to cast Hold Person on an ABERRANT? The spell specifically only works on humanoids, with a humanoid nervous system and brain archetecture. An aberrant like a mindflayer, despite being bipedal and having a humanoid silhouette, has an ABERRANT physiology inside, and their brains are even more fucked and different.

Fucking Halflings.
>>
>>54515313
That's a lot of multiclassing for 2 sneak attacks on a turn.

Why not just go 3 Battle Master and grab sentinel. It will work out more in your favor.
>>
>>54515287
Buy a 10 second hourglass and enforce it rigorously. If they don't declare an action in time they default to the Dodge action. Guarantee after the first time it happens to a player they'll make sure it doesn't happen again. Obviously be a bit more lenient with new players.
>>
>>54511987
You can do it anon. But it's important that you stay in control. It's imperative that you know about all the basic combat rules. Any other rule is optional. If someone of your party wants to pull crazy shit, let them explain and show you the rule. If it sounds clever and creative and if you like it, let it count. If not, tell them no. You're the dungeon master, not them. Next time they want to pull shit, let them suggest it before a session.
>>
>>54512304
If they're medium encounters, it'd be 4-6. If they're hard or deadly encounters, well, not everyone makes it to level 2.
>>
>calculating max HP
>forget Boon of Fortitude for dat dere +40
I'm disappointed
>>
>>54513460
They're surprised. No matter the rolls, you'll get to make the first move/action. The Initiative roll determines how quickly they can react to your ambush.
>>
How do you choose races when making a setting? Do you create your own? Do you just tweak existing ones? Do you prioritize making your setting more unique or allowing as many races as you can?
>>
>>54514022
Nondetection, I think.
>>
>>54515828
I make my own animalpeople races.
>>
What's the best way to make a ninja?
>>
>>54514363
Ok, but the 20 barb can rage 24 hours a day and the 5 barb can rage for 3 minutes max.
>>
>>54515851
Shadow monk
>>
New thread
>>54515882
>>54515882
>>
>>54515349
Considering it sorta worked, maybe the halfling was just hoping to get Lucky.
>>
>>54515287
I'll never understand the amount of time people spend on different versions of damage spells for wizards/sorcs.
"Okay I have Firebolt, Burning Hands, and Flaming Sphere. No enemy is clustered so BH is out. It's round four so it's probably almost over, so FS is out. Better just Firebolt."
Easy

I can see how it takes time for a utility/'fuck dealing damage' style support caster though. And I'm definitely guilty of it. Had a Wizard recently where he didn't take a damage cantrip till 4th (and that was Chill Touch for stopping HP regen) and grabbed Alert at level 1 V.Human
Many combats went
"Why did I take Alert? He always sets up so fast. Shit so the situation is- Okay, there's five big dudes and one 'completely unarmoured, weaponless, dress wearing fruit' in the back.
Basics... I can cast sleep, that'll probably knock out the assumed magic user and leave the martials for the bugbear/hob looking guys. This will also free me up to use a Shield should one reach me since I wont have to keep Counterspell reaction in my pocket.
Could cast Web or Grease instead though, three are clustered and big things tend to have poor dexterity saves and that'd buy our martials more time to close and get into position.
Then there's Suggestion, could just up and cast it on the guy in the back, hope he's the leader and yell "Stand down and do not fight. Leave us be." but if they're a caster their wisdom save is probably good so- Son of a bitch the DM is flipping that stupid hourglass"
"Alright I cast sleep on the guy in the back"

Turned out he had less than 20HP but I rolled poorly so the spell did just about nothing.
This was followed by the usual berating "Remind me again why you don't have Witch Bolt? Scorching ray? Chromatic orb? ANYTHING?" and "You hit 5th right? Where's the fireball?"

Either way, be nice to your utility casters taking their time. More to think about.
Hate the hour glass mechanic. Fighter thinking =/= wizard thinking.
>>
>>54515254
>You fight like a Wizard. Admirable, but mistaken
Thread posts: 355
Thread images: 41

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.