[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Newbie d&d

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 6

File: d&d.jpg (16KB, 193x261px) Image search: [Google]
d&d.jpg
16KB, 193x261px
Guys, I need some help!

Several years ago I played half a Pathfinder campaign with a bunch of fat, hardcore nerds. It was fun, but I haven't played any real D&D since. I've played lots of RPG vidya though.

I asked my ultra normalfag friends to try out d&d, and board games are currently hip, so they agreed. I have the pictured red box, so now it's up to me to create a very simple, fun adventure where I'll have to DM.

I need tips and help! My basic ideas right now are to create some pre-made characters and hand them out, else character creation alone will take eight hours. I suppose there's no reason not to use the red box map and simply create some dungeon crawler adventure, right? What do you think? How do I make D&D fun for a bunch of newbies as a guy who has never DM'ed before?

Additional info: there'll probably be at least 3 girls
>>
>>54496105
Resign to failure. Death awaits.
>>
File: brought.jpg (39KB, 487x436px) Image search: [Google]
brought.jpg
39KB, 487x436px
>>54496105
>there'll probably be at least 3 girls

how many people will attend this session then?
>>
>>54496147

Other than myself, probably 6-8 people (I'm assuming 1-2 will bail with short notice. Can't trust these fucks).
>>
File: sdGk2wR.gif (5MB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
sdGk2wR.gif
5MB, 320x180px
>>54496159
>pray no more than 6 players come to the session
>download all the pregen characters
>let them decide which one they will play
>make a heist or something similar
>manage the spotlight like a god letting no one get bored
>>
>>54496159
Yup, resign to failure.
Or pray to whatever deity that your players are willing to put some effort into figuring this out with you, rather than expect you to provide all the fun.
>>
>>54496220

Hmm. I'm fairly sure I have to be the fun-provider. They're good people but not overly familiar with any sort of RPG'ing. At least I have to set them up for success; it'll take a while for them to understand the idea behind D&D, I think.
>>
>>54496105
Good idea with the pre-gen characters. Make a bunch in case people die. You should get used to the idea of having to fudge some rules and in fact, I'd recommend it rather than wasting time digging through the book.

New people are usually really rewarding to play with, but remember they tend to be less into the system or rules and more about being creative, so include some fun group puzzles or situations that can't just be overcome with good dice rolls. Don't say "no", roll dice instead. Teach the rules as you go, and keep things moving.

You'll do fine, should be fun!
>>
>>54496338

Puzzles and non-dice situations are a great idea! Do you have any suggestions? What can I use?
>>
>>54496105

Just do everything the Red Box tells you to do.

If players go off the rails, find ways to say "Yes" more than "No."
>>
>>54496372
I like:
- Suspicious NPCs
- Weird omens or magical/abnormal events
- Injured monsters normally too powerful to kill
- Obvious-seeming traps (pile of treasure unguarded in the middle of the road)
- Moral quandaries or other dilemmas

Basically, anything that gets the players talking amongst themselves and doesn't have a direct solution. Sorry, too tired to think of any better examples.
>>
>>54496105
You're better off trying to find another bunch of fat, hardcore nerds.
You'll get maybe 45 minutes into the game before your normalfag friends start getting bored and wanting to do something else, even if you pregen everything for them and make sure everyone gets to do interesting things.
>there'll probably be at least 3 girls
This is especially telling. Keep an eye on them, as soon as they start acting bored/disinterested, it's over.
>>
File: TotSK_V1_999.pdf (1MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
TotSK_V1_999.pdf
1MB, 1x1px
>>54496105
make 2 level 1 pregenerated characters for each player you think might show up. This gives the players options and you wont have people fighting over what character to play. Ye, thats 12 pregenerated characters, but have fun with it. And if someone dies or decides they dont want to play the character they have chosen, you immediately have a backup. You can pull some of these pregens off the Wizards of the Coast website still, I think.
As for dungeons, I recommend the pdf I've attached, Tomb of the Serpent Kings. Its from /osrg/ and currently incomplete, but it can be easily converted to any edition. Its a good dungeon to teach players how to play. Read through it and come ask /osrg/ if you have questions.
>>
>>54496105
Run something simpler, like AD&D.

>>54489655
>>
File: 1482069732152.jpg (53KB, 343x438px) Image search: [Google]
1482069732152.jpg
53KB, 343x438px
>>54496105
Don't.
Play.
D&D.
>>
>>54497781
Seconding Tomb of the Serpent Kings. I recently ran it with a group of newbies and they had a great time. It's definitely good for any system too
>>
File: Fat fuck.jpg (222KB, 1296x730px) Image search: [Google]
Fat fuck.jpg
222KB, 1296x730px
>>54496105
>>
>>54502459

Why you post insulting filename for beautiful teddy bear man who writes with speed of thundering glacier?
>>
>>54496105
Char creation doesn't take 8 hrs in BECMI like it does in Pathfinder. The game itself has a few pregen chars in it, the array is something like 17-16-14-11-9-8. Just clone them for the disinterested ones.

Play the solo adventure and note whether you survive.

I'd go with cavern exploration, you can freehand it on graph paper and just drop in creatures from the DM booklet. You'll want maybe 6 chambers per session. Put plenty of space between chambers so that the party can rest to recover spells between encounters.

Probably good to start everyone at level 2 where clerics can heal and mages can cast 2 spells per day. Max Hp because it's slight anyway.

Don't stress about it.
>>
Buy the 5e starter set if you're gonna introduce that for noobs. Go with that or DW
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.