[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 323
Thread images: 45

>Unearthed Arcana: Greyhawk Initiative:
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UAGreyhawkInitiative.pdf

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Alternate Trove:
https://dnd.rem.uz/5e%20D%26D%20Books/

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread:
>>54466769

When was the last time a PC "ascended" in your game? Not necessarily attain godhood (though that definitely counts) but simply became "more than mortal."
>>
>>54474971
Never.
>>
>>54474971
For sorcerers, presumably that happens before 1st level?
>>
File: 1430706619623.jpg (25KB, 301x251px) Image search: [Google]
1430706619623.jpg
25KB, 301x251px
>>54475020

Interesting.
>>
How would you deal with a PC becoming a Saint?
>>
>>54475078
Go kill/tame a dragon like George and Martha did
>>
>>54475078
I'd be like "Great for you, that sounds way sick"
>>
>>54475078
Can't that only happen after they are died though?

If you're saying this is fantasy saintdom where it could happen while they're alive, then everyone would give them stuff for free and if they slip up once everyone will judge and hate them
>>
How the fuck do you manage to read the 5e PHB and somehow come away with the impression that you don't add your constitution modifier to your hit points at 1st level?
>>
File: akko phb.png (354KB, 665x574px) Image search: [Google]
akko phb.png
354KB, 665x574px
>>54475144
Reading is hard!
>>
File: 1492459683881.jpg (360KB, 710x508px) Image search: [Google]
1492459683881.jpg
360KB, 710x508px
>>54474971
>friend created chaotic evil tiefling Warlock as his first character
>ohboyherewego.jpeg
>is comically dickish to npcs and sometimes to the pcs as long as it doesn't hurt us
>unleashes a massive zombie hoard upon a town by not locking a gate containting them and blames the paladin, convinced the half orc that the dead human was mutton, shit like that
>continue our misadventures into CoS
>sides with strahd midway thru the adventure because he's sick of our shit (and the player is sick of the character)
>becomes a vampire
>disappears into the night
>don't think much of it, whatever he's a vampire spawn, we'll fuck him up
>'That's where you're wrong, kiddo.'
>Sessions later, Strahd decides to give us the location of this guy because apparently he's too evil even for Strahd's liking
>He's just chilling at the Amber Temple
>Go to the Amber temple to see what's good in the hood
>Nothing was good in this particular hood
>the Warlock vampire spawn decided to take blessings from every single sarcophagus
>"But hows that even possible, DM?"
>*shrug*
>Fucks off to Hell to rejoice in his powers and dethrone the master there, promises to be back

And that's the story of how we created our own big bad.
>>
>autistic 20 year old redditors require "evidence" and "facts" or they throw hissy fit
>general threads kill board culture and promote clique-rule middleschool tastemaking,

world plague when
>>
>>54475132
Saints are saints while they walk the earth. Being "granted sainthood" by the catholic church is just a process of verification to ensure that people don't end up sending their prayers the wrong way.
That process is mostly about digging up cool shit they might've done while alive.

So basically all PC paladins and clerics are potentially saints, depending on how your DM likes his magic levels.
>>
File: Troll zoonoid.jpg (732KB, 1500x883px) Image search: [Google]
Troll zoonoid.jpg
732KB, 1500x883px
>>54475144
It's better to live in a world you think you understand...don't you think?
>>
>>54475078
people from their religion would like them at first and people from opposing religions would hate him. then, after being able to meet the expectations that sainthood implies, then his own religion would hate him.
>>
>>54475132
What >>54475184 said is true IRL, but i guess anyone who can cast divine spells granted by god can be considered saint. God himself testify that this person is cool. Can't get much more saint than that.
>>
>>54475144
What the actual fuck?
Do they even comprehend the fucking words they're reading?

>>54475200
Is this what autistic retards tell themselves?
>>
>>54475144

I don't know, how? You tell me,never seen this
>>
>>54475297
It was literally in the previous thread.
>>
>>54475144
Yesterday someone thought he was supposed to add his race ASIs every time he leveled up in addition to class ASI, wich he thought he would get at level 1 as well.
>>
>>54475448
That amount of cheating isn't even subtle, but he sounds like a fucking full retard.
>>
Anyone else tell the PCs the possible results of a roll before they go on with the action? For example, a player called on enemy combatants to surrender. I said "They have more people than your party and are confident they can defeat you. You also just killed one of their friends so they are especially mad. Its a DC 20 check, on success they surrender, on failure they get enraged and all get a bonus round to move half their speed as they choose. Do you want to continue?" He said yes and didnt make the roll.
>>
>>54475517
>"They have more people than your party and are confident they can defeat you. You also just killed one of their friends so they are especially mad"
I'd just tell them that, they can make their own decision
>>
>>54475276
>>54475295

Why did you delete your post when the content is the same?
>>
File: 1500425665983.jpg (56KB, 493x387px) Image search: [Google]
1500425665983.jpg
56KB, 493x387px
>"I do thing"
>"That's not very [your alignment]"
>>
>>54475628
Do you vs do they, the content isn't the same.
>>
how do I got about deciding the total number of encounters in a dungeon for a small party of 3?
My players are still low level but I'm not sure how many encounter I should put in and how I should distribute the CR
any suggestions?
>>
>>54475677
Depends on how long they will stay ion the dungeon. 5-6 encounters in an adventuring day is the regular.
>>
>>54475692
in this particular case it's the whole day
but i'll use that as a shell for my first one and start with a steadily increasing difficulty for each of them
thanks
>>
>>54475517
I try to do it, especially in cases of "interesting failures". When failure is boring "You didn't managed to ___", i don't bother.

Also, i prefer to announce DC before the roll, to avoid possibility of fiddling with DC post-roll. I even say the players monster AC after they declare attack, to give them impression about the enemy. Also, so that they can decide hit/miss instead of me and. It frees some of my memory to focus on other things.
>>
>>54475517
I would do that if I knew what the fuck was going to or could happen the next minute
I never do
>>
Metaphysical question about flesh to stone, D&D bros, and take this as being broadly across editions.

What happens to the soul of someone effected by this spell? My group is playing Realms. The Paladin is quite concerned that the souls of the people our wizard recently hit with the spell are going to be prevented from passing on unless the spell is undone, in which case they would likely simply resume combat, or the victims are destroyed, which he will not permit because they are helpless. It turned into a bit of a thing, which I like, I'm all about feeding in character drama, but haven't decided what direction to rule in terms of how it will work with them. It runs into the issue that, since there are actual afterlives and people who spend time there only to be returned, would victims of the spell come back with knowledge of the afterlife they're destined for, or what?
I may also be stocking up the next bit of combat with wizards also armed with the spell, and I've never actually successfully hit a PC with it before without either immediately being undone, or the victim being immediate destroyed, rendering the question moot.
>>
>>54475517
Yes this is the best way to do it and it's a strange relief to see a GM actually do this.
It's vital that you be clear with your players about the effects of their actions so they can have a consistent gaming experience. So many GM's just leave it vague and up in the air and wonder why their players are confused all of the time and afraid to take action. (Hint it's because they have no clue what their options are or what the consequences would be.)
>>
>>54475167
He took all of the blessings with no downside? When I took one all my teeth fell out.
>>
>>54476128
They're technically still alive and the spell can be broken/undone/countered
I think if the statue is broken they die though so they'd pass onto their deity of choice
>>
>>54476169
Kind of how I was planning to rule on that. So, conceivably, a person in that state would be prevented from passing on until they were destroyed or someone cast stone to flesh.
I think my party may implode on itself, but the players are enjoying it, so that's fine.
>>
>>54476201
Ehh
It's not like their conscious of it. Every rendition I've seen and read has them just being confused what the fuck happened
>>
File: 1393871729563.jpg (267KB, 960x1280px) Image search: [Google]
1393871729563.jpg
267KB, 960x1280px
>>54476128
Oh, i like this!

Considering the fact, that F2S is AFAIK removed by Dispel Magic or Greater Restoration, i think the soul is present in its stone body unless it has suffered damage great enough to kill target outright on theoretical dispel. If the soul was sent to outer planes, the Dispel magic wouldn't bring the soul back, releasing only comatose body from the stone...

> but haven't decided what direction to rule in terms of how it will work with them
In all seriousness - what does the wizard player think about this? He is the wizard and if you don't have any reason to rule one way or another, i'd say let him decide.
(Obviously, your mileage may vary, it's probably not for every kind of game.)
>>
>>54476167
That's what should have happened. But he was a npc at the time and our DM just allowed it to happen
>>
>>54476219
Yeah, the Paladin's concern, in character, is that they're preventing the souls of their defeated foes from moving on to the afterlife; it's a punishment too cruel for him to permit if that's the case, not just defeat but essentially non-existence for an indefinite period of time, so everything left off with them beginning some IC research while I gave it consideration.

>>54476281
The wizard was of the opinion that their souls would be stuck, and it seemed natural to me; but I wasn't aware of any strong lore one way or the other and would welcome contradiction if it's reasoned. As it is, though, everybody has indicated they think their souls are stuck.
>>
File: Gotrek.jpg (1MB, 1492x1496px) Image search: [Google]
Gotrek.jpg
1MB, 1492x1496px
My players hired dwarven mercenary to help them with their quest. I will have them manage him in combat, but i wonder - should i made him NPC Berserker or 4th level Barbarian/Champion?
NPC approach seems more in line with the rules, but having him with ton of HP and low AC would be weird. Especially in my high AC low HP party.
The other approach wouldn't have this issues, but i am afraid it might slow down the combat a bit, by wide amount of possibilities.

What would /5eg/ suggest?
>>
Tonight the GM tried to make a spooky hit and run encounter against night dwelling monsters, and we turned it into smash bros

>Monster pounces at the bard from a 30 ft. tall roof
>halberd fighter attack of opportunities, applies pushing attack, and just slams it the fuck into the ground
>monster scampers back up the roof with us in hot pursuit.
>fighter makes it first, but the monster jumps to an adjacent roof
>I, wizard, make it second, and throw some wisdom saves at the monster to little end.
>Fighter leaps over to the monsters roof and gets a hit off before it jumps back to me
>Flubs both its attacks, then I thunderwave it off the roof, only for the fighter to pushing attack it back to the ground with a readied action, KO
>>
I don't allow Goliaths at my table, and so I want to give Powerful Build to every race that gets a +2 in Strength.

Too much? I want to encourage more people to play dwarves and half-orcs.
>>
How do you guys try to manage large scale battles in 5e? I know it's not really what the system is intended for, it's just the logical conclusion of what is mostly a more traditional 5e game. The scenario will be the players and their limited ramshackle army fighting with their king and his bigger ramshackle army against a much bigger much less ramshackle army. In the lead up they'll have opportunities to make allies to balance it out, but I still have no idea how to approach these large-scale battles.

Any advice would be appreciated.
>>
File: 1500723095115.png (1MB, 1417x567px) Image search: [Google]
1500723095115.png
1MB, 1417x567px
Anyone have pictures similar to a wooden direwolf with saddlebags?
>similar to pic related
>>
>>54476641
Personally, I'd just throw that to Half-Orcs. Regular Orcs already get it and, on my experience, Dwarves are strong enough on their own.

Are Goliaths really that popular just because of their Powerful Build feature in your group? Even the dork who plays Grapple-Memes builds skipped over it.
>>
>>54476641
Mountain Dwarves and Half-orcs are pretty good at what they do.

On the other hand, only time carrying capacity came into play in our game was when elven wizardess tried to carry unconscious monk from battle. BTW, she failed and monk died.

Is there way to abuse this i am missing?

Anyway, if i would ban certain race because it doesn't fit setting, i would allow players to take its stat block with saying it is another race - for example using goliath stats for half-orc would work without any problems. Well, maybe changing languages, and mountain born ability, but those are minor changes.
>>
>>54476676
Lacking good mass combat rules, brainstorm possible narrative outcomes and determine which possibilities lead toward which outcomes. Ideally each ally matters somehow as well as your party's performance in their fight. There should be a number of discernable milestones between total victory and absolute defeat, and they could be on parallel narrative tracks rather than a single line.
>>
>>54476676
Set up a large scale scenario, and let the PCs do prep, action, reaction.

Each portion should have a default outcome, but allow for some sort of ability check, situation altering idea, or inclusion in combat to change the outcome.

While putting together an ambush, a scout reports a small force making their way to disrupt your lines in a crucial time, do the PCs sit tight and perform their stated job, or do they reinforce and warn the flank.

An opportunity to hit a high value enemy target presents itself, but would weaken your section of the front to capitalize, what do you do?
>>
Do half elves have child Elf names or adult ones? I'm making a human raised foppish Swashbuckler and the phb mentions they often get elven names in human communities. Basically the idea is his mom was a Tethyrian tavern wench and his father was a traveling Moon(High) Elf minstrel
>>
>>54476962
err a Half-Elf human raised that is
>>
>>54476962
Depends on parents and their culture.

In your case i'd suspect he'd have most probably classical human name (for he was raised by his human mother).

Possibly some random elvish name, or elvish-sounding nonsense, if she had fond memories of the father.
>>
>>54477085
She does he doesn't really care since the tavern owner Dwarf essentially became his surrogate father. My conflict is the phb mentions they're given elvish names among humans and vice versa for among elves. And they live in Baldur's Gate where they could very much conceivably have a "real" elvish name.
Granted he goes by "Indigo" because he thinks it's cool and he's a bit of an idiot. He's also a secret momma's boy who sends a fair cut of his bounties to her
Maybe my sleep deprived mind is overthinking this
>>
>>54477127
>Hello. My name is Indigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
>>
>>54474971
That actually happens? I thought that was something people made up so they could tell a cool story. I've literally never advanced past level 6 in six years of various campaigns starting and stopping.
>>
File: 435623452342142.png (4MB, 1225x1585px) Image search: [Google]
435623452342142.png
4MB, 1225x1585px
>>54477177
Bingo. Except no one he knows is really dead and he's a a fop. A foppish fruit-fop. Just kind of an idiot kid who is suppose mature over his adventures
Plus he thinks purple "is a fancy rich person's color" which fits into his tacky flamboyant style of dress
>>
>>54477127
I like the Indigo pseudonym, it's cool and sounds really... swashbuckler-y.

Considering the fact that she got knocked up by traveling minstrel, i think his mom was a bit of idiot in her younger years as well*. She seems like typical white-trash.

I kinda like the idea of him having "ghetto name" - you know how nigger names are often nonsensical like names of star wars characters? Hell, Indigo could very well be his REAL name.

___
*Or it might have been purposeful attempt at auto-eugenics, obviously. If only for the extended progeny life-span, breeding with elves might be attractive option to a lot of humans.
>>
>>54477296
I thought about Indigo being his real name and basically styling it after irl poor people naming their kids after rich people and their stuff. And having no last name like peasants didn't
But then I kinda changed it to his mom just being a tavern wench and getting knocked up Bard style. Generally just making it more whimsical overall really. Including his somewhat accidental career in bounty hunting in the SCAG background
>>
I'm planning an epic aerial battle. On one side the PCs and a friendly ancient silver dragon, on the opposite an ancient white and a small number of wyverns.

Now I know the Silver is much stronger and will win in the long run, but the White only really wants to kill the PCs, who despite being very strong, are level 10 (and half of them have lower HP than the average damage of the breath weapon). Obviously there is also a specific way for the PCs to get rid of the dragon without killing it, which would be very unlikely anyway.

My question is: how do I make this battle engaging, especially for the melee focused people who can't fly?
>>
>>54477362
>I'm planning an epic aerial battle. On one side the PCs and a friendly ancient silver dragon, on the opposite an ancient white and a small number of wyverns.
White is gonna get trash-
>Now I know the Silver is much stronger
oh
Well they could do what my Ranger did when we were fighting a black dragon.
I jumped on it and started stabbing it. It did not end well. I ended dropping like ten stories or some stupid shit
>>
Tempted to make a barbarian Zealot or Storm Herald with the spear mastery feat.
>>
File: Javelin Check.png (52KB, 182x466px) Image search: [Google]
Javelin Check.png
52KB, 182x466px
Question about the Javelin of Lightning.

When you throw it and it forces the save on the targets within range, does the target have cover due to the creatures being in front of it? Example scenario in the picture, where the knight is targeting the creature in the back.
>>
>>54477587
Yes, half cover.
>>
>>54477621
So all creatures except for the one in the front would have half cover?
>>
>>54477637
Yeah.
>>
>>54477641
Perfect thank you!
>>
>>54477702
If they're behind a creature, they get half cover. That's just how the general rule is. They'd get cover from Lightning Bolt too, don't know why that's relevant though.
>>
>>54476676
Play a wargame like warhammer fantasy to resolve it?

Trying to shoehorn a system that intricately simulates skirmishes( almost second by second ) to one that simulates entire battles isn't going to work. This was the reason that people who played D&D when it came out used the chainmail wargaming system to adjudicate large battles.

Failing that you could use the quick and dirty mass combat rules I use for larger conflicts.

When you attack with a group of men with the same stats you split them roughly into 3 groups. You roll once and you use that value for the first groups attacks, the second group uses the same value at +5 and the third uses the same value at -5. You then use average damage on the hit.

So a group of 30 archers with shortbows fires at another group of 30 swordsmen. You split them into 3 groups of 10. The swordsmen have 16 AC. The archers have a +4 attack bonus.

You roll and say get a 10. That means group one misses with a 14, group 2 hits with a +5 so 19 and group 3 misses with a 5 . If you crit you just have the first group do crit damage but the rest autohit.

You then resolve damage, in this case the average of ten d6 hits is 3 so 30 damage from the unit since 10 hit.

Against a single target this is resolved via the rules as written. For groups I amalgate the HP of the unit. So 30 swordsmen with 10 hp each combine into a 300 hp unit. You then remove them in thirds. So when the unit hits 200 hp ten men are dead. I also roll a morale check at these points to see if they rout.

For two close combat units clashing I only have the first two ranks of ten fight. Three ranks fight if they have reach weapons.

You need to do this on a grid , but I just use one model to represent one unit

Using this system I'd suggest homogenising hitpoints values for the sake of simplicity as well as unit numbers.
>>
>>54477717

Yeah I was misreading it, thinking the question was about cover on the Dex save for some reason and forgetting that there was still a ranged weapon attack necessitating consideration of cover. My bad.
>>
Tg, I want to play up Strahd's bond with the land of Barovia by dropping different power boosts to him depending on where he is, but I'm having a hard time solidifying that.

Like, +AC in the mountains, Expertise in Stealth while in the forest, advantage on Dex saves while in the sky, things like that
>>
>>54475357

The actual discussion was about whether a negative con mod reduces the dice roll on hit dice usage and levelling up or whether it's just ignored and only the dice counts.

There's not a lot to go on. By math, adding a negative is subtracting, but 5e's common-language bullshit somewhat handicaps being able to apply formal logic or math because "plain language" is a bullshit idea to begin with. Mearls tweeted the minimum on a level up is 1 HP but refused to elaborate and Crawford din't weigh in.

In the PHB errata it says that the minimum hit points a hit die roll can return is 0 and the minimum number of hit dice a long rest can return is 1. Even less helpful, the PHB says that you "typically" add the con mod as if there's exceptions they haven't told us about.

In short: no one fucking knows. Based on the errata I subtract but there's no clear-cut case to be made for it.
>>
>>54477726
>>54477717

To add to this, I was thinking cover from an AoE was irrelevant (i.e. all the forced saves would be made as though they were the primary target of the lightning), but I looked up discussion on it and the rules seem pretty clear-cut; anyone in the line behind the first should be getting half-cover (i.e. +2 to their save). Guess I learned something today.
>>
File: PH_Errata_1.1.pdf (444KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
PH_Errata_1.1.pdf
444KB, 1x1px
>>54477778
For reference
>>
File: monk btfo.png (26KB, 322x99px) Image search: [Google]
monk btfo.png
26KB, 322x99px
>>54477795

a-are these nerfs to Wot4E?
>>
>>54476394
Follow the NPC rules, as you don't want a DMPC ever mate.
>>
>Encounter and daily powers are a video game
>Short and long rest abilities are okay
You can't defend this
>>
What happens if you bump up the champion's crit range so it ultimately ends at 15-20?
>>
>>54477873

Of course, they were way too powerful as it was.
>>
>>54477795

>Nerfs Monk
>Nerfs Sorcerer

Wow, thanks WOTC. Really working on that game balance.
>>
File: barbarian.jpg (105KB, 610x496px) Image search: [Google]
barbarian.jpg
105KB, 610x496px
>>54478052
it's fucking silly how you can easily change the wording of a few things and suddenly it's back to 4e that everyone hates.

30 feet? 6 squares. 5 foot radius centered on you? closed burst 1. etc. etc. Battlemaster? Well shit, everyone had powers back then, now we're back to "I hit with my sword."

i fucking hate 4e haters that don't know what the hell they're talking about.
>>
>>54478242
Anyone here actually calculate xp? I've always just done a milestone sort of deal in all the editions I've played
I just can't be assed to do it
>>
>>54478264
3e was easy, i never DM'd 4th so can't say there, and I have yet to calculate in 5e, but I been doing modules.
>>
>>54478242
Wording IS important.

4e wasn't hated because it was bad per se, but rather because it felt too different from previous D&D iterations, thus "not real D&D".

Also, in old video games, where there was no level-scaling, it felt more "real". In newer games, where the games tailor difficulty to you, when you see past this illusion, if suddenly feel fake and pointless. For me, the 4e was what broke this illusion in TTRPG.
>>
>>54478440
how is it not different in 5e than what you just described? I dont remember any creature scaling in 4e, i mean obviously you faced stronger creatures, but it wasn't like "oh you face those same orcs from level 1, now they are 6 times stronger!" No edition I know of has oblivion/skyrim style scaling, but you do face stronger monsters as you level.
>>
>>54475517
I roll in front of the the screen and would probably tell the players how much HP the monsters they're fighting had left if they ever asked.
>>
What are some good companion apps for mobile?

Stuff that has like, all your character stats and spells and extra information you can add?
>>
>>54478598
5th edition spell book and fith edition character sheet
>>
Thoughts on eldritch knight? Seems very "meh". Also, give me good EK spells, absorb elements seems like a real winner for one.
>>
>>54475167
>>54476167
>take blessings from every single sarcophagus

What does it mean to take a blessing from a sarcophagus? How is it done?
>>
File: DD-Player-Cheat-Sheet.pdf (278KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
DD-Player-Cheat-Sheet.pdf
278KB, 1x1px
>>
>>54478546
For example, 4e had minions, which were kinda funny at high levels. They had high AC and attack - yet only one hit point. The number suddenly began to loose meaning as something that relates o objective reality of the world - but rather something that is tailored to the characters. (Obviously it is present in every game to a degree - most GM usually use orcs at first and dragons later, for example. Again - it is much more about how it is handled, than how it really is.)

And i think i remember table with skill check DCs, that is scaled not by objective difficulty of the task - but rather level of party. While, obviously, it's practical for DM to know how difficult certain DC might be for characters of given level, it can't make feeling of "I am being lied to, this is not real" go away.
>>
>>54477188
You've never made it past 6? Jesus anon, I thought me never getting past 12 was dumb. How do you even give a fuck about your characters when you change them like clothes?
>>
File: DM Screen-Cheat Sheet 2.0.pdf (4MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
DM Screen-Cheat Sheet 2.0.pdf
4MB, 1x1px
>>
>>54478685
>>54478657
Are there any other 5e cheat sheet references other than these ones?
>>
>>54478657
>>54478685
May you crush your enemies, may you drive them before you and may you see sweet lamentation of their women, Anon. You're the best!
>>
>>54478667
>And i think i remember table with skill check DCs, that is scaled not by objective difficulty of the task - but rather level of party. While, obviously, it's practical for DM to know how difficult certain DC might be for characters of given level, it can't make feeling of "I am being lied to, this is not real" go away.

That's a bit of a misinterpretation. It's based on the level of the challenge, which usually is level appropriate, but if you suddenly encounter low level goblins at level 25, their poorly locked treasure chest won't have a level 25 easy DC.
>>
>>54475727
I don't really like talking about numbers, personally. It breaks the game down to a lower level of immersion. It doesn't take that much to decide hit/miss IMO, and if I do a good enough job describing what the enemies look like (armor, shield, etc) they'll have a good idea of what range the enemies' AC will be in.
>>
>>54478766
Will it not? Because that is exactly what it seems it should.

I admit to not playing or reading 4e that extensively so i could argue about it. I fiddled around a bit, but i haven't had a stable group at the time, so i didn't really played it much. All i am saying is how it felt and that it is important part of the game.
>>
>>54478816
>Will it not? Because that is exactly what it seems it should.

Nah. It's sorta like how in most D&D editions once you are level 10 orcs just cease to exist unless they have class levels and how liches don't wander about level 1 games too much. It's not that they don't exist, it's that the GM isn't using them.

A level 25 challenge doesn't mean 'It only exists if level 25 player characters exist'. It means 'This is approximately this difficulty for a character of that level'. It's basically a Challenge Rating system for skill checks to help GMs work out what skill check would be challenging but not impossible at the groups current level.

If you are trying to break into the castle of an epic level threat, he'll have epic level defences to make a joke of your heroic-tier ass. On the other hand, demigods and archmages shitting all over a goblin den will pass the checks on a 1.
>>
Will be modifying the champion to getting Superior Critical at 7th and getting Devastating Critical at 15th, whose weapon attacks score a critical hit on a roll of 15-20.

Stop me, bros.
>>
What do people use character sheet-wise? Paper? Electronic? Guessing?
>>
>>54476676
>>54477723
What my DM did sometime ago in another edition was change the pace a bit and use a computer wargame and just have us command that stuff.
>>
>>54478867
>1/4 chance of crit per attack
Pretty bad idea. Champ is pretty braindead
>>
>>54478867
That's about, what, 10% extra DPR? I do't think it unbalances anything. Maybe he'll catch up to the battlemaster.
>>
>>54478948
The champion gets its modifying critical change ability too late in the game though, the ability to crit is really its entire thing as well.
>>
>>54478973
Yeah basically and good stuff, thanks bro. It's probably something that should've been built into the champion from the outset.
>>
Aside from Chult, where else in Faerun is interesting but under-utilized?
>>
What do I do with a player who straight up wants to only play their one character? They're new so I get they might be against losing a character they've worked on but they told be if they did they'll roll same class/race and have it be an identical twin to their previous one. I'm running for friends so should I just make the game a hugbox where they never die?
>>
>>54478670
Not that anon, but levels != time invested. I had a campaign that lasted about 3 months and we leveled up only once. At the trajectory we were moving at, had the game not fallen apart we probably would have finished around level 10 and it would have taken something like 2 and a half years.

>>54479080
Basically the entire 2/3s of the map east of the Sword Coast.
>>
>>54479139
>should I just make the game a hugbox where they never die?
No. If that character dies, a suspiciously identical individual shows up in short order. This happens enough times and the party starts to wonder who is sending all these clones to them and why.
>>
>>54479164
But that's not the person wants. They literally want to have it written intro their backstory that they have 40+ identical twin sisters and all of them are female human healer bards just so they don't have to reroll. That or "an infinite ring of Resurrection or something or +1 hp each time I come back"
>>
As a low level bard, is there anything creatives or useful I should be trying to do for my bonus action when someone already has an inspiration die?
>>
File: MassCombatUA.pdf (102KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
MassCombatUA.pdf
102KB, 1x1px
>>54475177
i'm not from lelddit but i'm having trouble understanding what you're saying. what's wrong with evidence?

>>54476434
that sounds pretty cool, i always wished there were more forced movement options. I know you guys aren't fans of anime physics but that sounds enjoyable.

>>54476676
pic related, that's all i can really offer.

>>54477362
Maybe add magic items to assist them? Something that grounds flying creatures to take out some of the wyverns, maybe something to help them get on top of them, and keep them from dying if they fall so that they take more risks.

>>54478867
So you're the DM? seems pretty broken compared to the default, but then again marshals are pretty shit compared to casters. If i were in that campaign i'd multi into kensai for 5 hits/round, and crit every round.

>>54479139
As long as the other players are still challenged i don't see a big problem with accommodating him to keep him from dying. Yeah it's gross but i'm not sure if i'm more disturbed by the thought of having four characters in a row who are all identical in personality and historical knowledge.
>>
I had an idea for a Warforged, but I really hate the stats for them. +1 AC is boring as fuck but strong enough to make it so they get nothing else.

Would it be okay to take Hill Dwarf, make it +2 Con +1 Str, and replace the Stonecunning and Tool Proficiencies with the Living Construct (Dont need to eat, drink or sleep etc). The +1 HP, lesser speed and poison resistance make sense. The weapon/armour proficiencies don't matter bc I'll be playing a Bladelock anyway
>>
>>54479230
Either the player is willing to work with you, the DM, to create a scenario that is interesting without ruining the tension of the game for the rest of the players, or they're a faggot who should stop playing and hopefully end their own miserable existence. Honestly. It's an RPG character, not a piece of precious china.
>>
>>54475144

4E brought in a LOT of stupid children with poor reading comprehension that need everything spelled out with keywords for them

I had a dumb MFer that couldnt figure out how the Mystic ability that works just like charm person functions because it didnt spell out all all its parameters it just said it functions like Charm person.
>>
>>54479139
>I'm running for friends so should I just make the game a hugbox where they never die?
Would other enjoy such game? Would you?

I really don't know. Such fundamental differences in approach to the game may be disaster.

On the other hand - bard player in my group ALWAYS saves one 2nd level slot for emergency invisibility. It works pretty well for them.
You might be able to avoid her drawing aggro, er, attention of enemy without much difficulty, especially if she's playing support role - but healing might get her in danger.

Maybe give her more advice about possible dangers of her action? As new player, she might just underestimate many dangers veteran players see as obvious.
>>
>>54479230
Take them out of their comfort zone.
Make them fear for their life.
But don't try to kill them.
Give'em a couple of near death experiences anyway.
>>
>>54479366

That seems more 'Idiot' than 4e fan.
>>
>>54475177
When you volunteer as patient zero. Be the change you want to see in the world.
>>
File: artificer.jpg (266KB, 577x439px) Image search: [Google]
artificer.jpg
266KB, 577x439px
As I play the artificer more, I'm noticing that it relies a lot more on your imagination due to your tool proficiencies. For example...

>we come across some brown mold
>we try to use fire to kill it, bad idea, it absorbs the heat and multiplies in size, deals cold damage to us
>me seeing an RP opportunity, I see the mold and think ALCHEMICAL REAGENT!
>want to get a sample, but wait if you get too close it deals damage, discuss with a few people how to do this.
>we are in a winery, so we procure an empty bottle to store it in (I don't have any bought tools yet outside of thieves tools). Now we need to figure out how to grab it from afar and get it into the bottle
>take a few minutes, realize the wizard has mage hand, now have a bottle of brown mold, due to how it absorbs heat and exudes cold, it's a very cold bottle all the time, have to wear gloves to keep it from absorbing the heat from my hand through the glass
>store said bottle into a bag of holding I made (artificer feature)

Now is where things get interesting. I'm going to work with my DM to see if I can either
A) make limited ammo of some sort of alchemical cold bombs
B) replace one of my alchemical formula with a cold bomb using the brown mold ingredient and putting it into my magical satchel, using same rules as the fire bomb or acid bomb, but using con save like the mold uses.

Also, our wizard player is leaving, as in moving away out of state, so I figure my artificer will see a need to be able to manipulate things from afar, so I'm going to see if I can make a collapsible grabbing arm with 10 foot reach using tinker's tools. Part of the artificer was using items to replicate spell like effects.

What you think?
>>
>>54479232
There's Healing Word
>>
>>54479809
That sounds rad as hell.
>>
>>54479809
Oh hey, Curse of Strahd.

If you could make a Con save cold bomb I'd jump at the opportunity since all of your attacks right now are Dex based

I'd also consider taking a level or two of Wizard, if your guy is leaving. You share a spell casting Stat, get a boost to slots and can take up all of the 1st level ritual duties.

When I grabbed the mold through basically the same plan as you, I used it as cold grenades that I would drop in the middle of enemies fireplaces and braziers
>>
>>54478872
I use OneNote on a windows tablet.
>>
>>54474971
I need your help elder brain, my players needed short term goals so I threw in a Macguffin. They need to collect five items and combine them, the rapier of bones (have a quest for that), the sphere of sunlight (have a quest for that), two unknown items (no quests for that) and the staff of consideration, a prophet's staff that makes people who are in the proximity of the person wielding the staff instantly docile for a while. I thought up that the staff was being held in the museum of historics in the capital.

TL;DR: Anyone got any good heist quests or other macguffin quests?
>>
>>54480110
Have one macguffin held by a dragon. They've either got to steal it, or do it a favor in exchange, maybe steal a different magic artifact to trade.
>>
>>54480170
beautiful, I already have a thing for that, that I picked up in a fun ideas thread.

>Players get the info that the Macguffin was eaten by an ancient dragon and find a distant village built into the skeleton of that ancient dragon
>The villagers preparing for some event, but they're pretty downcast.
>This culminates in the villagers tying a stripped eightteen-year-old girl to the forehead of the fallen dragon.
>PCs look on in horror as a dragon nearly as big flies in, scoops up the terrified girl and flies away
>They pursue it to a distant tower, where presumably it will eat the girl

>They're just in time to see the dragon safely drop off the girl with a bunch of women they realise must be the "sacrifice victims" from previous years, who immediately clothe and comfort her
>Talking to these women reveals that the dragon lives in the tower, made up a story about being the child of the dragon that the villagers live in the skeleton of, used it to demand an annual sacrifice, first sacrifice included macguffin
>they've been claimed so that the dragon can have a workforce to tend food farms. Women because of the old stories, and harder workers. They've made more comfortable home for themselves here, and plan to integrate the village once the old sticklers die off, though the villagers don't know about the "victims'" true fates yet
>Hell, they even speak to the dragon, who at this point has his newest minion perching on his nose, holding a book up for him, turning the pages and adjusting his glasses
>The only problem they have in the short term is that they're low on clothing, which primarily has to go to their eldest and youngest, and is spread thin elsewhere. They're shearing sheep to counteract it, but their supply is limited
>This entire encounter ends with the players being sent back to shout at the pervy old mayor who made up the "sacrifices must be naked" rule ages ago for his own amusement, so that next year's girl will come with some damn clothes.
>>
>>54476910
>>54476961
>>54477723

Cheers for the ideas, it's a huge help. I think what I'll do is try and treat the battle as a siege with multiple assaults. Since they're the weaker force it makes sense they'd be defending a siege rather than going for an open battle.

I'll probably treat the armies as monsters with absurd stats, perhaps one to every several hundred men to reflect one company within the army. Roll them in private and tell the players what's happening on the battlefield, what opportunities for their little 3 man squad to involve themselves in, etc. Treat it as a few days of battle before they either have to escape to stay alive or emerge victorious.

I don't think my players are dumb enough to try and take on an entire army by themselves. I mean, I really hope not. Tonight my plan is for them to not attack things, so we'll see. If they decide they can take on the entirely non-aggressive stone golems at level 2 then I might have to rethink this whole thing.

Again, thanks for the ideas guys. You've been a huge help getting the cogs moving on how I can present a battle that they can involve themselves in without just having to slog through repetitive combat with uninteresting opponents.
>>
>>54480251
I'm pretty sure they can manage something to do with clothing unless the dragon is oppressive and won't allow them looms.

Kinda feels like it should end on a note other than 'stop pervy mayor from sending naked girls off' and something more dramatic instead but maybe you're in that sort of campaign
>>
>>54480900
Given that they mentioned shearing sheep I'm assuming the quantity of wool is the limiting factor here and not access to weaving tools.
>>
>>54480932
You can make clothes from other things or from trade or from anything really the dragon should easily have access to, the only problem is 'not being assed to let them have clothes'
>>
>>54479940
>Using Healing Word for anything other than reviving somebody at 0HP
Shiggy
>>
What kind of subraces would you give Goliath?
>>
does an aoe attack like fireball or a breath attack count as a crit for death failure purposes on an unconscious character?
>>
>>54481109
If I were going to go that route, I would probably try to base them on different types of giants.
>>
>>54481142
No.

Not like death saves are a good system anyway.
>>
>>54481109
One that makes them actually interesting
>>
>>54481324
Good input.
>>
>>54480953
>>54480900
Still a fledgling idea.

Knowing my group they'd probably kill the mayor or try to convince the dragon to work together with the town as is.

or attack the dragon.
>>
>>54481109
Air element variant like aarakokra, water like maybe a triton, fire like a fire genasi-
Oh no, wait, those all already exist.
>>
For those of you who have run the pre-made modules on roll20, how did you handle maps? I know LMoP has roll20 assets, but the rest largely don't.
>>
>>54481532
I have only ran LMoP, CoS, and SKT on roll20 because I'm a lazy fuck and dont mind paying for premade maps with dynamic lighting. But I did try to just get the maps, etc from CoS before that actually came out on Roll20 and it was a huge bitch to make.
>>
File: Don't Blame Me.png (138KB, 516x379px) Image search: [Google]
Don't Blame Me.png
138KB, 516x379px
I'm DMing a 5e game with some friends. Only had a few sessions so far. We're using roll20 for battle maps and discord to speak online.
>It's mostly vanilla with some Homebrew implementations like "replace crossbow with flintlock rifle with same stats".
>The seeing is an OC steel donut world inspired by skies of Arcadia with actual oceans instead of skies because I'm an unoriginal faggot.
>Give the players carte blanche in Homebrew races.
>First mistake.
>Amend with "don't pick anything blatantly OP and avoid being chaotic evil since you're practically a wild animal."
>Immediately get an Angel and a Royal Bloodline Hylian.
>Internally scream, but roll with it because it gives me a challenge to expand the lore of my world and gives me some help with world building.
>Girlfriend is playing. Tell her straight off I'm not ERPing.
>"Okay."
>Picks Huncubi with voracious sexual appetite. Can naturally cast Charm Person.

Should I continue? I dunno if this is a shit story.
>>
>>54481593
Are the CoS and SKT maps on roll20?
>>
File: 1488575717060.jpg (111KB, 467x470px) Image search: [Google]
1488575717060.jpg
111KB, 467x470px
>>54481608
The fuck is a Huncubi, sounds like a Cambion or Incubus, why homebrew shit that already exists.
>>
>>54481650
Yes? Those 3 modules are the only modules that are actually on Roll20, you have to buy them but I think it was worth saving hours of my free time. Like I said I had to go find a pdf version of the modules before CoS was released on Roll20, and making like 20 different maps line up correctly, with the proper map size was a pain, that's not including trying to put on tokens, or trying to put dynamic lighting.
>>
>>54481663
Hell or even an alu-fiend is the same thing.
>>
>>54481608
You did this to yourself.
>>
>>54477778
>>54477795
Brings to mind a 3E adventure in one of our wizards was hit with something--I cannot recall what--that resulted in his con dropping to 5, and was in a position where only a Wish spell could reverse it. GM at the time elected, and the players agreed, he would have to apply the negative modifier to each roll of his hit die. Naturally, each level after that point he was dropping HP. This ended up turning into a big plot thing that we all kind of enjoyed, where he became obsessed with seeking out a character who had wronged us and bringing him to justice before he died. Completely derailed the GM's plans, but we had a great time.
>>
File: bane.jpg (105KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
bane.jpg
105KB, 1080x1080px
Anybody have a handy guide to DMing crafting checks?
>>
>>54478867
>Stop me, bros.

Anonymous User:

We have isolated your IP address and have sent a highly-trained Hasbro quality assurance death squad to your location. Please take the few moments you have left to inform your players and/or Dungeon Master® that you will be unable to play Dungeons & Dragons® for the foreseeable future.

Thank you for your understanding.

--Brain Goldmer, Hasbro Chairman & CEO
>>
What makes Neverwinter unique? All I see is that the volcano blew up and wrecked the town, there was an underdark invasion, and half of the city is still ruined, but on the road to recovery.

There any real sourcebooks/materials on it?
>>
>>54481831
i'd only set a DC if they are doing something in a relatively short manner, like how you take a few seconds to use thieves tools

like say you wanted to BUILD A WALL with mason's tools and whatnot, I'd say you'd automatically succeed as long as you're proficient, however i'd decide how long it would take depending on how big/long the wall is and how you rolled on the check.
>>
>>54481608
So let's start with the Angel.
>Angels can fly and are immune to mind control.
>Forces me to explain how deities affect the world, because I was unsure when creating the world.
>First thing I did was tell the player he has amnesia and doesn't know he's an Angel and have him a personal question to find out who he is and why he's here.
>Angels have wings of light rather than feather wings, Tales of Symphonia style. So they're activated rather than constantly out.
>So he's a silver haired amnesiac with a severe untreated head injury and convinced he's human.
>Player decided to name this character Jesus Christ.
>Whenever anyone exclaims "Jesus Christ!" In shock or surprise, he responds by saying "what?"
>Joke got old fast.
>Explained his 9 Int with his concussion.
>Cleric refuses to treat it because he thinks it's funny when the Angel starts shouting like a deaf person.
>Alignment chaotic good.
>Kicked a surrendering peasant in the crotch so hard, it decapitated him in the first session.
>>
>>54475638
I don't understand the problem - a DM should say that, if a character isn't matching to his alignment. What's important to understand, though, is that it's not the DM saying "you can't do that".

You can totes feel free to do that as much as you like. But if the DM has to say "that doesn't match your alignment" a lot, then it probably means that your alignment is going to be shifted, and rightly so, to match better whatever your actions have been.
>>
>>54481109
Probably frost goliaths who live in freezing environment and rocky goliaths, who live in barren rocky mountains.

>>54481322
Could you elaborate, why do you think death saves aren't good system? I quite like them.
>>
>>54479230
Are they wanting to play Anna from Fire Emblem?
If so they have good taste
>>
>>54479230
Take them close to death and mutilate them or provide penalties for losing limbs/taking severe lasting damage, but don't actually kill them.
>>
>>54481608
>>54482041
If you're ok with lolrandumb meme games, then you're definitely doing it right. I'd end it there though, you don't seem to ok with the direction it's going in and the foundation that's laid by your players' characters
>>
File: Screenshot_20170723-135749.jpg (53KB, 1102x482px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170723-135749.jpg
53KB, 1102x482px
:)
>>
File: Solitaire cards.jpg (58KB, 640x471px) Image search: [Google]
Solitaire cards.jpg
58KB, 640x471px
anyone here use wikia for worldbuilding? or is there some sort of software or website you use to for worldbuilding and to keep all that info in one spot?
>>
>>54482589

Not really. I keep that stuff in notebooks or in text files.
>>
>>54481608
>>54482041
>Mentions skies of Arcadia and tales of Symphonia

I don't know you, and your group sounds awful but I like you nonetheless.
>>
What the fuck, I just started making a Warlock for the first time and holy shit.

I have fucking 5 spells to choose from for my 4th level slot, fucking FIVE. What the fuck they are so shite.
>>
>>54482699
The point of warlock is that you have a composite spell list, and can upgrade weaker spells by expending higher spell slots. Your level 1 spell can be used as a fourth level spell to increase its damage dice. Etc.
>>
>>54482758
You're right, that empowered witch-bolt makes everything balanced.
>>
>>54482320
I'm completely fine with how the games going. I'm more inconvenienced than angry about some of the choices made since it'll delay some of the plot points I've got planned.

But it also gives me more time to plan since these guys are content with generating filler arcs.

Plus I played a worse character in 3.5 when I made a psychic warrior with multiple personalities whose powers were so powerful he would affect the way people perceive him when he switched personalities.

Each had different skill proficiency, but the same base stats and equipment. And death was a slap on the wrist since it just killed the personality and not the body.

Also they were all named after IRL world leaders. My favorite was lawful evil Idi Amin. I was shitty.
>>
File: new.png (129KB, 482x331px) Image search: [Google]
new.png
129KB, 482x331px
>>54482589
>>
is there a collection for the homebrew on dmsguild? like a place where i can find stuff like Monsters of the Orient: Complete Bestiary and Tome of Adventures?
>>
>level 2 campaign
>I want to be an ancient powerful wizard!
>With amnesia!
help
>>
>>54482817
Then more power to you. People want different shit, and if they're happy with it and you're happy with it, then maintain the course. Players sidetrack all the time though, so at best I would say to build multiple hooks that lead into the same overarching plot.

And Jesus Christ your 3.5 character sounds like some damn good steel donuts.
>>
>>54482589
Zim desktop wiki.
>>
>>54482856
Simple. Be a level 2 Wizard. You have amnesia but gradually begin to relearn and remember your more potent spells and how to access more of your arcane prowess as you level.
>>
>>54482589
A bunch of people use https://www.obsidianportal.com/ for this, haven't tried myself but seems good enough.
>>
>>54482980
>>54482856
It kind of makes sense like, A wizards spell book is in his own notation, so as he levels he slowly transcribes more and more into a newer one that he can read.
>>
File: Thenamelessone.jpg (19KB, 320x299px) Image search: [Google]
Thenamelessone.jpg
19KB, 320x299px
>>54482856
I bet a great story will came out of this!
>>
>>54482856
Level drain shenanigans I guess? A minor god being a dick? A quest for repentance of some misdeed he no longer remembers?
>>
>>54482128
1. It makes it very hard to bleed out, but incredibly easy for an enemy to just say 'no, you're dead' by directing an attack at someone rolling death saves. It's not very easy to stop a monster from killing a downed player if it decides to.
2. It promotes a disparity between NPCs and PCs. PCs have less health but have death saves. Why?
3. It makes healers too important. Having a healer means you can get someone right into the fight again as well as making sure they don't die, and all they need is the slightest bit of healing.
4. It deprives players of their ability to do anything other than beg the healer for heals. The player can't defend themself or die heroically in one land stand against the enemy, they just go down and whimper as they bleed out on the floor while a kobold kicks them in the face for a 50% chance instant kill.
5. There is no penalty for abusing them. You're on 1 HP, you're fine. You go down, you're dying and completely incapable. You get healed for 1 HP, you're fine.

Death saves promote player death through 'why did this monster suddenly decide I should die?' or 'This monster had a turn before the healer had a turn' rather than 'I died because I was being reckless' or 'I died because I did something stupid'.
>>
>>54482856
It makes sense because how else does a wizard learn so many fucking spells in 3 months when before they took 30 years just to learn a few level 1 spells?
>>
File: smugmusic.png (1KB, 135x97px) Image search: [Google]
smugmusic.png
1KB, 135x97px
>>54483031
>It deprives players of their ability to do anything other than beg the healer for heals
>beg the healer for heals
>while unconscious

Nice metagaming
>>
>>54483090
Do you send the player out of the room while their character is unconscious?
>>
>>54482822
>>54482638
>>54482897

I also mean for it to be accessible by others.
>>
So I was thinking, summoning spells in DnD have tended to be very broken due to completely fucking up action economy, which is why they've been greatly limited in 5th edition (necromancy wizard can still theoretically create an army of skeletons given enough time, but that's an outlier case). However, I recall another RPG doing a summoner class that worked so that instead of having their own turn and own attacks, the summons simply boost the damage of friendly creatures attacking an enemy near them, thus not disturbing the action economy (the amount of attacks per turn remains the same, they just do more damage).
I was wondering whether that could work as a homebrew class in 5th edition, since it seems to me like a potentially interesting idea.
>>
>>54483115

No, I just dock exp if they say anything
>>
Is there any excuse for a kobold to be a bard? He was rescued from orc slavers by the party's dragonborn paladin and is going to follow him around trying to earn his respect. (I'm joining the campaign in progress). I'm thinking rogue or maybe fighter makes the most sense for a kobold, but i've never played a bard and I think it makes sense for the party mascot
>>
>>54483031
>5. There is no penalty for abusing them. You're on 1 HP, you're fine. You go down, you're dying and completely incapable. You get healed for 1 HP, you're fine.

This one I disagree with, if you make it so where you get less and less effective you just create a death spiral. And no one will ever want to actually fight.
>>
>>54483173

Eh, still just text files that I can email to people.
>>
How do you make winged characters' wings less conspicuous?
>>
>>54483241

I think the problem is less that players don't get punished enough for going down, and more that healing is absolute shit unless you're at 0 HP and then suddenly healing becomes mega-god tier.

So the best thing to do as a healer is let someone get BTFO and then bring them back to consciousness.
>>
>>54483231

Well, kobolds are known to try and entertain larger reptilians in order to toady to them.
>>
>>54483031
Let your players roll the death saves hidden. Without telling anybody, not even yourself. That way at least a bit of meta gaming is stopped (e.g. "I will heal you in two rounds, you don't have a failed death save yet).
>>
File: 1462617041695.gif (1MB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1462617041695.gif
1MB, 1080x1080px
Is anything stopping a creature from taking a short/long rest while incapacitated/petrified/unconscious?
>>
>>54483334
Since you can't take a long rest when you are at zero hit points, you obviously can't take a long rest under these conditions as well.

Taking a rest means, that you tend your wounds actively. Not simply waiting for the blood to clot.
>>
The problem with death saves and healing is the consequence of damage/hp ratio; monsters can bring down a single player in no more than 2 turns, and to not have a death every fight wotc made up that system.
So just deal with it, if you're not willing to change half 5e
>>
File: Plague Knight.gif (234KB, 200x189px) Image search: [Google]
Plague Knight.gif
234KB, 200x189px
>>54483231
i played a kobold bard in 4e, was fun

also you don't have to play them as the snivveling, squirreling little meek sneaks they are. I play them as seeing the adventuring party as a adoptive family. They don't like to fight fair, they'd prefer to have some sort of advantage if possible before a fight.

currently playing a kobold fighter battlemaster, conjurer wizard, and alchemist artificer.

pic related is said alchemist
>>
>>54483031
>2. It promotes a disparity between NPCs and PCs. PCs have less health but have death saves. Why?
I always though NPC DO have death saves - but it is implied that the victorious PCs either finish them off, or that the NPC's lives are not worth tracking. If there was REASON to track the death saves for enemies, i would certainly do so. I don't usually track enemy alignment or personality as well - but they sure as hell have those. Somewhere off-screen.

>4. It deprives players of their ability to do anything other than beg the healer for heals.
Well, he can roll his saving throw each round...
Seriously, though: What would you rather have instead? Last ultimate attack that always crits and then you die? I feel the saving throws are here for telling the player: "You really should stop. Now." since we often tend to be too zealous and pursue adventure even when on low HP.
And we do NOT want to make new characters. Death saving throws are indeed hindrance - but they should be. It's big flashing red "YOU'RE GONNA DIE" sign.
But i haven't yet encountered enemy to finish fallen characters, when there are active threats. Admittedly, it makes certain amount of sense, especially if healers are present on the side of heroes.

5. Yea, i guess this is true. I am considering imposing the character with one level of exhaustion every time it goes to zero.

Some players will always blame you. I pure hope you don't have much of them.
>>
File: images (2).jpg (3KB, 80x120px) Image search: [Google]
images (2).jpg
3KB, 80x120px
Playing a Tiefling Bard/Cleric in my next game. Starting at level 1 with Cleric for armor and shit. What domain should I go to maximize my support utility? Also, should I bother taking more than one cleric level?
>>
>>54483173
www dot obsidianportal dot com
>>
>>54483231
There's literally always an excuse. Always.
>>
>>54483449
life, maybe light.
>>
>>54483334
To benefit from a long rest, you must have at least 1 hit point at the beginning of the long rest. That's the only restriction. There is no such restriction on short rests. It's extremely common to get knocked to 0 HP and wake up an hour later having short rested because you had at least 1 HD left.
>>
>>54483231
My last Kobold character was a bard/sorcerer. She ended up doing pretty well, but the campaign was scrapped before I could get meta magic and do fun things.
>>
>>54483449
Knowledge.
>>
>>54483250
Clip a few feathers off from the outermost edge, it makes them easier to hide. Trust me, this works every time.
>>
>>54483250
Hunchback!
>>
>>54483449
What is this? A bard/cleric for ants?
>>
>>54483532
What about bat wings? Can't exactly clip those.
>>
>>54483241
That's the point. You're not supposed to be entirely 100% effective at fighting when you're low on HP.

Suddenly, threats you could easily brush away become life-threatening and you have to be careful to avoid dangerous conflicts.

That weakened state not only makes for an interesting twist on situations but also helps remind players that they're in a vulnerable position and not to charge, go down and expect to be healed when the healers might be out of heals.

Sure, it does spiral out of control, but players can say 'it's our fault for fighting when we were already worn out' rather than 'it's the DM's fault for not giving us a chance to heal back up to 1 HP'
>>
>>54483605
>>54483241
Oh, but yeah, if you're one of those DMs that forces players to fight a set number of fights every day then that wouldn't work because it would cause a death spiral because you haven't given players the freedom to avoid fights.
>>
How would a paladin of vengeance interrogate a prisoner? We caught a bandit sneaking into camp and chained him up, then his friend came to rescue him. I'm trying to role-play as NG(lol alignments) and i have no idea how to proceed. So far I've questioned them and determined they were lying through insight checks, do i punish them?
>>
One of my players is a hill dwarf raised by humans. He's a Cleric of Ilmater.

Would a race-specific god like Moradin try to "reclaim" a powerful child of his like a Cleric PC?

Would it be a dick move to try and present my player with a story that makes him embrace or reject his heritage? Game is set on the Sword Coast and I was thinking of tempting my Cleric player with all sorts of cool Dwarven stuff, in the hope of creating a dilemma for him between his faith and his race.

Any advice?
>>
>>54483375
But those conditions don't change your hit points.
>>
>>54483701
Dwarves can worship other gods. It's not like irl religions were they're all more or less exclusive. God's exist for sure in universe and you can pray to multiple gods even if you're a cleric. IE praying for a safe journey or harvest or campaign
It's just they as a whole worship Moradin since he is their creator. I doubt he'd be concerned.
>>
>>54483701
From what I know of Moradin they're more the sort that wants dwarfs to accept other races more, so absolutely not.

You'd only really pull this on something like an orc whose race is dominated by the control of Gruumsh and other orcish gods.
>>
>>54483697
Do it. Do it... for greater good!

NG character will probably have certain qualms about torture, but threat of torture can be just as effective, if target believes you. Or maybe use some mind affecting magic?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qF4q1IANq0I&t=19m52s

>>54483701
If he's cleric of other god, he probably wont be too happy to switch sides. Clerics are so close to their god, that they will probably not change it just for shiny shit. But building on his missing dwarven heritage might be interesting.
>>
>>54483697
Who have you sworn vengeance on? That could help dictate how you approach prisoners.
>>
File: R6_GSG9_Blitz_4k.jpg (1017KB, 2000x3597px) Image search: [Google]
R6_GSG9_Blitz_4k.jpg
1017KB, 2000x3597px
How do I play a character who aggressively uses a shield? Not necessarily as a weapon, but as a key part of what I do in combat.
>>
>>54484871
Shield master.feat
>>
File: 1479698403749.jpg (221KB, 1178x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1479698403749.jpg
221KB, 1178x1600px
Guys help me optimize my monk. My DM gets us to roll stats and this is what I am working with:

16-14-14-12-11-8

I was thinking way of the open hand, human and take the alert feat then at level 4 taking the mobile feat. Starting at level 3.
>>
>>54484989
>Rolling stats

Don't even bother with the alert feat. The mobile feat is all you need, then focus on upping your stats.
>>
Are there any important feats for a gunsmith artificer to take?
>>
>>54485017
>>54484989
Though actually as a bonus if you want to be any non-human you can do that and not get a feat, because on an open hand monk you can push enemies away with flurry of blows instead of using mobile to disengage, or shove them prone, or dodge, or whatever the fuck
Mobile is honestly for uncreative fucks but it's the only good feat on a monk really.
>>
>>54485042
Being an alchemist artificer instead is a good one.
>>
>>54484989

Do 11-16-14-8-14-12

Human +1 go into DEX and WIS, then you bump them both up with your first ASI.

Don't bother with Alert, just get something useful like Mobile with the vhuman feat and the rest of your class ASIs are all going to go into maxing your DEX and WIS. They're far too important for a Monk to neglect.

2h a spear or quarterstaff as your weapon until level 11th.

That's it, this is how you optimize a Monk.

The only variation of this would be Shadow Monk dipping Warlock 2 and then heading back into Monk or going Rogue, and dipping Fighter or Nature Cleric to be an armored Monk that fully embraces his stun baton nature.
>>
File: 5eg - Copy.png (24KB, 324x531px) Image search: [Google]
5eg - Copy.png
24KB, 324x531px
>>54474971
when someone claims to be a "girl" everyone comes running why are d&d players the worst at this even flocking to the traps with facial hair
>>
>>54485042
Sharpshooter is decent so you can shoot targets from 500 feet away without any penalties and deal extra damage with power shots. Otherwise, I don't think anything is absolutely vital for a Gunsmith.
>>
What was the design idea behind not giving Bards the Guidance cantrip?

Seems like exactly the kind of thing they'd have.
>>
>>54474971
I had an idea for a game where all the PCs descend, becoming something less than mortal by losing a fundamental part of themselves.
>>
>>54477795
>>54478212
Just wanna drop a reminder that the reason the errata nerfs dragon sorc and evocation wiz is because, apparently, lots of players read the PHB and concluded, that, clearly, the nerfed features allowed them to add their casting mod to EVERY INDIVIDUAL DIE ROLL, not the total damage roll. So WOTC put this in the errata because apparetnly these people's DMs were allowing them to add thier casting mod 8 times on fireball.
>>
>>54485127
Is alchemist really that much better? What makes it so?
>>
>>54485241
Doesn't Bardic Inspiration do the same thing, only better?
>>
>>54485374
Gunsmith is literally just a worse rogue but rogue features are replaced with artificer features such as magic items or the level 6 thing. You might as well play an AT unless you can get good milage out of the level 6 ability.
Any good other abilities you get far too late, such as the decent AoE is at level 17 and before that some of the abilities are using int when your main attacks are dex.

Alchemist on the other hand is a bit worse at single-target damage but that's okay because you're not supposed to be good at that anyway. They can use shields if they're prepared for the downsides and they get more utility considering they can heal every single teammate and their robot pet once every day, they get an at-will prone-and-knockback which is better than what the gunsmith gets for knockback (Who cares about the piddley bit of damage?) and they still have that slight AoE damage at will if they want it.

Gunsmith is just a worse Arcane Trickster whereas Alchemist at least has some things to set it apart.
>>
>>54485318
>Sorcerer used to do 6d6+15 before errata to the rare enemies that aren't immune to fire with scorching ray.
This must be nerfed! Meanwhile-
>Bow Fighters can literally do 8d6+56 every single round from 5th level on.
This is fine

Fucking WotC martial favoritism.
>>
do we not have a /tg/ character sheet for some classes? they stop at paladin.
>>
>>54485526
>fighter shouldn't even deal more single target damage
>casters should have the edge in literally everything
>>
>>54485539
I could have sworn we have the other classes, but They're not in the pastebin. Almost certain they were made, as I remember having the Wizard class before with all it's specializations.
>>
>>54485539
We do, they've just been removed from circulation for whatever reason.

Here you go:
https://mega.nz/fm/MSR3EbYR
>>
>>54485569
Martials: monkeys with pointy sticks
Casters: demigods who can bend the universe to their whim
High-level casters should always have an edge over high-level martials
>>
>>54485613
Just uploaded my copy of them all. See >>54485623
>>
Other DM's, how often do you feel underappreciated? I'm running phandelver for friends new to the game and almost feel like ending it. It's been a collection of things but most recently one of my players asked if they could have their character reunite with their family, I told them maybe and asked where they lived. The place they picked is several thousand miles away, when I explained to them that the module is on my supposed to really be in one small area of the world map they just replied with "portal time"
>>
>>54485623
>>54485645
The mega link does not work.
>>
>>54485285
So, what's the goal?
>>
>>54485704
I don't understand your problem. Is your module not set in the forgotten realms, where there's like 10 wizards per square mile?
>>
>>54485187
You gain the following benefits while you are unarmed
or wielding only monk weapons and you aren’t wearing
armor or wielding a shield:
• You can use Dexterity instead o f Strength for the
attack and damage rolls o f your unarmed strikes and
monk weapons.
• You can roll a d4 in place o f the normal damage
of your unarmed strike or monk weapon. This die
changes as you gain monk levels, as shown in the
Martial Arts column of the Monk table.
• When you use the Attack action with an unarmed
strike or a monk weapon on your turn, you can make
one unarmed strike as a bonus action. For example, if
you take the Attack action and attack with a quarterstaff,
you can also make an unarmed strike as a bonus
action, assuming you haven't already taken a bonus
action this turn.

note, you get no bonus to damage, can't use dex, basically can't do anything martial arts gives you, nor do you get increased movement when you wear armor, which I get for the class but I wish there was an armored variant.
>>
>>54485626
You've got a different concept of what "level" means than most people. Maybe you think it's a unit of effort, like level 10 means ten years training as a warrior vs ten as a mage. I can understand that logic.

For everyone else, level 10 means "as good as a level 10 Wizard". Calibrate what you think Dude With Sword is based on that and join in with the conversation.
>>
>>54485720
https://mega.nz/#F!kiZ0VTBL!uOQS0MsaK8a4ImMUcEAPhA

There. Sorry, had to include decryption key or whatever.
>>
>>54478654
In CoS there's a spooky end-game temple where you can accept "gifts" from spirits in the sarcophagi, ranging from being able to cast a spell a few times (ever, not per day) to a permanent +4 bonus to charisma. Each time you take a gift, you have to make a charisma save or get possessed and become an evil NPC.
>>
>>54485763
The problem isn't"can I do it?", the problem is "why should I do it?" if they've so far been unappreciative of the work I put in. The player has outright asked me if their pc can not die until we do what they want to do.
>>
>>54485526
>8d6+56 every round at 5th
Huh?

>>54485626
Casters are just monkeys trying to manipulate weave. They aren't demigods just because they can do parlor tricks
>>
>>54485945
in the adventure league version, you don't get jack shit when you get possesssed
>>
>>54486014
>Mistaking a wizard for a conjurer of cheap tricks
>>
>>54486014
>Casters are just monkeys

Martial detected. Get out fag.
>>
File: 1455663800386.jpg (17KB, 500x439px) Image search: [Google]
1455663800386.jpg
17KB, 500x439px
>Party finishes killing the fearsome bandit king, summoned from the nine hell to spread havoc across the world
>Check his treasure horde, find amulet of the planes
>Monk's player is going on vacation for a week so he decides his character isn't available for the next session because he used the amulet to travel to another plane
>Have him make an arcana check to have knowledge of another plane, he succeeds
>Pick a random plane
>He has knowledge of the nine hells
>Monk says to rest of party "I'll be back later" and disappears

>mfw the monk is now Doomguy
>>
>>54486074
Obviously they are since a martial can put an arrow in their eye from 600 feet
>>
>>54485526
Assuming V.Human with crossbow expert and sharpshooter, the most at-will damage they can get is 3d6+39. If they blew their entire short rest load on one round's worth of attacks, it would become 5d6+65+4d8.
>>
>>54485939
Kool, thanks.
>>
>>54485626
The entire point of having levels is that two characters at the same level should be about the same strength. A level 20 fighter isn't just "a dude with a stick", they're essentially Hercules.
>>
>>54485735
That's for the players to decide. I'm not a very creative DM, I'm just in the spot because I'm the only that bother to read the damn book.
>>
>>54486201
You need to give your player characters a threat or opportunity to engage with, or you'd be better off playing a board game or something.

Don't tell us we didn't warn you.
>>
I just dropped a Fireball on a horde of zombies and the Fighter was in it. We're level 3 (casted from scroll) and he barely survived. I feel kinda bad and what's a good way to make that up for him?

DM also said all his hair was effectively burnt off and his crossbow is now damaged but repairable.
>>
>>54485825
I'm aware.

Fighter dip you go STR-focus. You lose martial arts die for your Flurry of Blows and Unarmored Movement, but you have better AC and a Fighting Style. All other Monk features work fine.

Cleric dip is similar, but you're WIS-focused grabbing Shillelagh. Better AC, better stuns, cantrips and Bless. It can also transition into a normal Monk if after maxing WIS you decide to start boosting DEX.
>>
>>54486135
Why wouldn't they? I've yet to meet a DM that actually pressures their players into not using EVERYTHING (long rest) every encounter.
After every battle, 'take a long rest?' 'aye sure np m8'

Why do I even play a caster?
>>
>>54486243
I retract what I said. I can be creative, I just prefer to be more reactive and improvisational, with the books as a good guide. I like to have the players write their backstories first then build the setting from that, rather than build the setting first and have the players adapt their stories to it. Before I can do anything I need player input, then the rest comes naturally. I'll be meeting with a few friends for the first time in a year next week, which will also be our first game in a year, so that'll be something for me to look forward too.
>>
File: tn_1235245586270[1].jpg (8KB, 220x180px) Image search: [Google]
tn_1235245586270[1].jpg
8KB, 220x180px
>DM makes a custom setting
>It's just not!sword coast
>>
File: wizard guild.jpg (111KB, 500x356px) Image search: [Google]
wizard guild.jpg
111KB, 500x356px
>>54486074
wizards do illusions, hookers do tricks
>>
Hey how would you guys make Mana potions work?
Also are there alternative rules for damage. I'm getting tired of just HP being nothing even if taking over half your hitpoints in damage.
>>
>>54486356
>After every battle, 'take a long rest?' 'aye sure np m8'
shit DM and shit party
>Why do I even play a caster?
because combat is the worst part of d&d
>>
>>54486411
>Hey how would you guys make Mana potions work?
give back spell slots
>alt rules for damage
check the DMG
>>
>>54486411
get a spell slot back

but you don't see any like, really big ones, like a level 9 mana potion

just like, levels 1 2 3 and they're pretty costly
>>
>>54486356
>all the DMs I know are bad at running the game therefor all DMs must be bad
>>
>>54484989
11 16 14 12 14 8
VHuman with Mobile and bump to 17 Dex/15 WIS. Level 4, make them 18/16, level 8 go 20 DEX, level 12 go 18 WIS.
>>
>>54486411
As others have said, give back spell slots.
Alternatively, you could go for a "potion of rest" that confers short rest resources to come back.
That way martials can also benefit from it.
Just don't allow them to spend any hit dice when they use it.
>>
>>54486445
>>54486443
How high should the spell slots go up to? I'm thinking it caps at level 5 or 6 and that is a superior mana potion, also addiction is a very likely thing that can happen to offset it.

What about alternative damage I looked at it, but it just works on critical hits or dying. I find it kind of bullshit that taking a third of your hit points or more in piercing damage or psychic damage and walk it off. What are some alternative? Maybe divide your HP in quarters and maybe everyone makes Con checks every time they drop below a quarter or take a minor injury or something.
>>
>>54486445
You could only have one mana potion and have it scale with caster ability.
Something like how wizards can get back x number of slots depending on their level.
And for warlocks, just give them one slot back, or half their slots.
>>
>>54486552
>I find it kind of bullshit that taking a third of your hit points or more in piercing damage or psychic damage and walk it off.
iirc there is a section about taking massive damage, the DM might decide you lose a limb or something depending on the type of damage you take
>>
>show up for AL
>running an adventure I'm unfamiler with
>bring my 5th level paly, LG, Devotion, get the ok
>6 other dudes at the table, gonna be fun
>Apparently we are helping some kolbolds wrangle a white dragon in this dungeon
>Come across some goblins, dwarf cleric terrifies them into surrendering.
>Kolbold rogue pisses one off, it gets killed
>Grab the other one, inform it that as penace for it's crimes it shall assist me
>In return I will teach it fishing so it no longer has to scramble in ruins
>Tie a rope around it and carry it with me (am beefy ex sailor)
>Lob it into next room, immideitely it gets lit up by goblin arrows
>cries of horror come out of the room
>sheepishly drag gobbo back to me, Lay on Hands a point, apologize
>party takes care of it while tending to gobbo
>rogue finds tons of elvish pudding
>we both start snacking down, nobody else wants any, their loss

Continued
>>
>>54486552
tbqh, the way the game is balanced it just assumes that anyone with any amount of HP is at full strength. Which is why healing in combat is a meme outside of using healing word as a bonus action to up a downed party member.

If you're gonna impose something of the sort, like "lose a limb," or "bruised ribs" you should be consistent and apply similar effects to enemies.

I had a DM that decided a big hit to the halflings leg caused him to break his leg and halved his movement respectively. But then if we dealt like 50 damage in one blow to a monster, nothing of the sort. Felt like bullshit. Best way to avoid bullshit is consistency.
>>
>>54486631
>on point, walk down a hallway eating my pudding
>fall into a pit trap, dwarf buddy saved the pudding tho
>climb out other side, into room full of shit and apparently white drago
>rest of the party springs into action, try to peacefully get drago but drago hates the kolbolds
>shit kicks off
>still eating pudding
>party and kolbolds having a lot of trouble with pit
>more gobbos on the way, half the party splits off to deal with them
>finally my turn
>drop the pudding, for this looks like a job for LUTH LACKMAN, DRAGON WRESTLER
>Get lil drago in a headlock, feel kinda bad for it
>It puts a bunch of kolbolds and party on ice (not me though, headlock bitch)
>mercy gone
>me and remaing kolbolds beat it unconcious, dwarf bro sticks dog collar from previous adventure on it
>take it back to kobold queen, trying to talk party into freeing it and axing the queen
>party wants loot so no
>what can a paly do?
>put down drago in front of queen
>part nicks bunch of scrolls
>as we leave, approach drago, see it look at me, now awake
>take collar off, unbinding it. Promised drago not collar
>walk away
>end session to sounds of ice breath and terrified kolbolds

Skipped a lot, picked up another goblin, freed a staved gnome cleric captured by gobbos, gave gobbos to the gnome with the promise he'll take care of them, teach them to fish. Party heard gnome "taking care of them" behind us, while I ate pudding and commented on what a noble gnome he was.

Fun session all and all, but a level 5 should not have been there lol, might bring a level 1 next time
>>
>>54486643
Sounds like you were doing sunless citadel.
Yeah, it's intended for lower levels.
>>
>>54486639
I do that, I actually do it to the enemies moreso than players. Like an NPC or random mook took half his HP, yeah he isn't getting up from that. PC takes more than half his damage he can walk it off. I'm going to change up the rules on that so feats like toughness and diehard effect stuff like that a bit more. Make things a bit more like fantasy Vietnam.

Besides dividing HP into quarters, massive damage rule, lingering injuries, and maddness checks for psychic damage what other stuff can I add to make it feel a tad bit more gritty?

Also thank you for the Mana potion ideas they helped out.
>>
>>54486706
Anyways I could scale sunless citadel to being more of a 3-7 level kind of late early tier dungeon?
>>
>>54486643
Yeah that's sunless citadel, I'm running it now

It's meant for a party of 4 level 1's, taking them through to level 3.
>>
>>54486716
>I did that
Good on ya. Sounds like a fun DM. Just make sure players are enjoying the aspect of getting hit hard and needing to be careful.

Other than what you listed, just read up on the different damage types and think about how one might be affected. Also be aware for lingering affects a way for the PCs to be able to rectify them if they're too severe. Otherwise you might have a lot of retiring heroes.
I enjoy listening to The Adventure Zone, and one of the players there lost his arm. But was given a new one by his nature god, and it basically grew out like a wooden limb. Was a big character moment, and something that gets referenced a lot, but enhanced the story and fun of the group rather than irrevocably pissing off the player who lost his arm.
>>
>>54486735
Yeah, for sure. I think it still works fine almost as is for a level 3-4 dungeon IF you play the enemies optimally. Making good use of hiding and such.
I'd have to look at the specifics, but most adventures can be beefed up by just inflating enemy HP, increasing their to hit and damage rolls, or throwing in a couple more enemy fodder.
>>
Daily reminder for those who run LMoP:
Don't fucking tell the players that the goblins took Gundren to the castle. They'll ignore everything and go straight to it. FML.
>>
So my group is about to do an evil adventure. Other than the Artificer, we've got a Death Cleric and an Oathbreaker, so I figured I might as well take the chance to finally play a minion master Necromancer and complete the undead theme (especially with Oathbreaker's Aura of Hate helping out my minions).

What are some cool or fun ideas for an evil necromancer?
>>
>>54486946
Use all spell slots to create skellies, chill out in the back drinking a deadly-kool-aid.
>>
File: 7000skeletons.jpg (402KB, 1424x842px) Image search: [Google]
7000skeletons.jpg
402KB, 1424x842px
>>54486946
This is you for the foreseeable future
>>
>>54486946
No more than 4 skeletons, give them crossbows. Ask DM that they all use the same initiative.

That's it. Just gear them up, maybe dress them up, and they can be your entourage.
>>
>>54487014
>Not having more than 4 skeletons and using them for purposes beyond combat considering you'd have to keep finding more corpses to replace them
>>
>>54486979
>>54487011
This is definitely the main plan. I don't wanna have to lift a finger if I can just have my skeletons do it all.
>>54487014
>they can be your entourage

This gave me the idea of a very vain wizard who convinced himself that the undead are his fans. A real diva-type that lashes out at anyone who speaks badly of them. Maybe that might be a character to develop further?
>>
>>54487014
I limit my players necromancer by requiring him to individually name each minion
>>
>>54487035
If the DM and the party are cool with the Wizard taking the time to create and control several actors, sure, more power to him.
>>
>>54487131
>implying that isn't encouragement

You bet your ass I'm going to name all of my minions. Maybe even give them personality traits.
>>
>>54487135
It can be as simple as leaving skeletons guarding the party's den of evil while they go out for the day or to say 'we're gonna have some skeletons watch our backs but not run into the main combat because that'd just get messy' or you have them scout or take part in a larger scale fight or whatever.
>>
File: 00112.jpg (78KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
00112.jpg
78KB, 960x540px
>>54486107
That's fucking dope, not gonna lie.
>>
>>54482699
Yes, you get a comparatively small number of spell slots over your career but please consider the following.

>Your slots are automatically at the highest slot level you can cast.
>Your slots refresh on a SHORT Rest.
>Your invocations offer at will spells of first level, enhancements to your flagship cantrip, powerful spells that use one of your slots, or other static or limited powers.
>>
>>54487191
>skeletons in black suits taking positions around the party like Secret Service
>skeletons in camo fatigues crawling through the brush scouting for enemies
>skeletons in cute skirts serving your party tea at the inn
>>
What kind of spellcasters would be most revered in towns/cities built in massive desert environments?
>>
>>54482699
More choice than the fighter has with weapons which normally means nothing because most damage types are near-identical.
>>
/osrg/ here

Stop adding constitution modifiers to monster hp.
>>
>>54482699
What spells do you have?
>>
File: nah.png (256KB, 600x447px) Image search: [Google]
nah.png
256KB, 600x447px
>>54487310
>>
>>54487299
Clerics and druids that are capable of casting Create Food and Water

lrn2darksun
>>
>>54487310
Why do you even care?
>>
>>54487310
Don't tell me what to do
>rolls 2d6-2 hp for kobold
>>
>>54487299
Clerics have water creation magic and are otherwise using divine magic so naturally it'd be clerics/priests/etc
Don't forget clerics are only the player adventurer version, you can have priests and so forth.
>>
>>54487341
Not him, but I kind of agree. Combat is a slog, and that might be a way to fix it.
>>
>>54485626
Here's the (You) you wanted.
>>
>>54487310
/5.5eg/ here
Stop using HP.

Captcha: STOP EXIT
>>
File: 1474665774244.png (12KB, 243x243px) Image search: [Google]
1474665774244.png
12KB, 243x243px
How do you normally handle Backgrounds? Do you just use the premade ones, do you edit them slightly or do you just make one entirely new of your own?
>>
>>54487440
Take the benefits, players can write something up for their backstory and I'll give them something close to a background for benefits

Backgrounds are great if you don't know exactly what you want your character to be, but they just get in the way of you do
>>
File: read the book nyan.jpg (733KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
read the book nyan.jpg
733KB, 1920x1080px
>>54487440
Customizing a background is an innate part of backgrounds, not even a variant. So I run backgrounds basically RAW.
>>
File: Green_Hag-5e.png (118KB, 220x300px) Image search: [Google]
Green_Hag-5e.png
118KB, 220x300px
My 10th-level players will probably ask a favor from a Hag coven, and I'm trying to think of what they'd ask in return, stuff that should be disgusting or somehow lead to their downfall and despair later on, but I have no idea what to do. So far all I have is half a gallon of the aasimar paladin's blood and/or the young elven druid's virginity.

We're playing Tyranny of Dragons, btw.
>>
Is there anywhere I can find the cost of rarer metals like mithril, adamantine, etc? Or should I just take it from 3.5 as a base and modify it from that.

Alternatively, if I wanted to have some rare "super steel" that's in so many things, what would be a good way to modify it's cost compared to a normal item from normal steel
>>
When was the last time a character ascended? That reminds me of last season of my campaign at uni. Im excited because we're starting up again soon.

> Lvl 1 party fresh in the world
> get them broiled up in a plot to summon Yeenoghu
> lvl 1s can't fight a demon lord directly so they need to figure a way to either shut the portals or banish him indirectly
> A sphinx summons them to her monastery, and tells them of the Spear of Vahoon
> Vahoon was a explorer turned demigod who managed to beat Yeenoghu thousands of years ago
> Gods can't be bothered to do shit, and demigods mostly act as the divine beings.
> They find the spear and realize that only certain players can touch it
> Dwarf cleric Brotar touches it
> He is a Son of Vahoon and can channel his power
> More shenanigans ensues Yeenoghu invades the mortal realm. Lots of death and destruction.
> Players fight in a Battle of Five Armies style battle
> Weaken Yeenoghu enough.
> Brotar/Vahoon show up and do colossal titan battle over the fighting forces
> Vahoon wants to be bound to the mortal realm again. Needs a willing host.
> Tricks Brotar into sacrificing his body and ties to the realm
> Beats Yeenoghu and disappears after the battle.
>Brotar is stuck in the Astral Sea which is where all beings that have been soul syphoned go. Mostly just fade away or are harvested to add to the Livingl Gate.
Brotar will be a major plot point further down the line as a new demigod The Crystal King.

All because a player wanted to sacrifice his drunken Dwarven cleric. One of my favorite campaign moments in awhile
>>
>>54485945
What's the save DC?
>>
>>54487524
Make them ask for a real angel's blood instead.
>>
>>54482691
I, anon, for mention of Arcadia alone concur.
>>
>>54486393
What would constitute not!swordcoast?

Geography? NPCs? Pantheon? Factions?
>>
New thread

>>54488083
>>54488083
>>54488083
>>54488083
>>
>>54478973
> Maybe he'll catch up to the battlemaster.
A half orc champion already catches up to and exceeds the battlemaster at 20. So doubling the crit chance should mean anyone can catch up, and half-orcs can laugh at them.

Still not a big deal though since it's only at high levels and not going to be used optimally and only a small part of the fighter's damage in any case.
Thread posts: 323
Thread images: 45

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.