[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 390
Thread images: 51

File: Cleric_PHB5e.jpg (95KB, 800x685px) Image search: [Google]
Cleric_PHB5e.jpg
95KB, 800x685px
Clerical Work Edition

>Unearthed Arcana: Greyhawk Initiative:
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UAGreyhawkInitiative.pdf

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Alternate Trove:
https://dnd.rem.uz/5e%20D%26D%20Books/

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread:
>>54457306

What's your favorite type of Cleric? Why?

When was the last time a Cleric saved your party?
>>
>>54466769
>What's your favorite type of Cleric?

Tempest

>Why?

My DM thinks Warlock's repelling blast is bullshit

>When was the last time a Cleric saved your party?

Turn Undead against a bone naga
>>
My characters been sentenced to 30 years in a dwarven prison. Any tips on how to break out? I have a druid friend who will be able to sneak in as a lizard and find me the keys. I'm also thinking about instigating a riot at the same time.
>>
>>54466790

The way I've seen it done is, every race can get a racial feat for free, or a skill feat if you're playing a race that has no racial feat options.
>>
>>54466769
Never.
>>
>>54466819
But the druid will be too busy dropping soap to help you because he is ghey
>>
>>54466836
Yeah, this was before racial/skill feats became a thing.
Was thinking about next campaign doing it like that.

>pick a racial feat for those that have it as an option
>still let var human exist
>any race w/o racial feat can pick skill feat
But lock those feats after character creation.
Maybe give everyone another skill feat for free towards end game. Not sure.
>>
>>54466809

Actually wait, no, more recent than that, using Gust of Wind to keep a bunch of approaching enemies at bay that were coming through a choke point while the party picked them off
>>
>>54466769
>What's your favorite type of Cleric? Why?
Life. I like it because you have to worry less about healbotting since you get Cure Wounds etc. 4free and can spend time preparing better spells.

We were up against a significant number of undead in what was meant to be a big encounter. One use of Turn Undead and nearly all of them are obliterated or fleeing.
>>
>>54466819
Class? Level? What reason were you tossed into the slammer?

Have you tried an appeal process?
>>
>>54466878
>Have you tried an appeal process?
Lawful paladin detected
>>
What is the most viable way to make a frontline dex Valor Bard that can stealth. I wanted to do a STR one with heavy armor but the DM wants every character to be able to stealth cuz it's a commando style party
>>
Well, the wizard with one level of cleric uses portants quite often to save the party
>>
>>54466911
Mithril plate will fix that right up
>>
>>54466911
Why valor?
If you go lore you can steal shield with secrets earlier. Rely on something like booming blade for your attacks instead of attacking twice.

Alternatively, see if someone in your party would go trickery cleric. Then you can be str valor like you want, and negate the disadv on stealth rolls with blessing of the trickster.

Or if anyone has access to pass without a trace (something you could just steal) too.
>>
>>54466911

Just be a regular frontline dex valor bard? You should stealth fine like that.

If you want to go strength just have a backup set of slightly lighter armor that you can use to for the sneaking parts of the adventures until you can get >>54466964. Your ac will suffer a little (so don't dump Dex, I guess), but you'll be fighting less hopefully (if the sneaking works) so it might work out.
>>
>>54466878
Level 5 fighter. To keep it short, I accidently got my druid to heat metal a massive chain that was used to open and close the cities big stone door. It toppled the gate house and destroyed the city gate lmao
>>
>>54467058
Why isn't the druid in jail than?
>>
>>54466964
It starts low level. What would the gold cost of a mithril item be?

>>54467003
Valor for flavor. My bard uses his inspiring speeches and battle cries to castagic. I would run a bb/gfb type (which is better with valor) but he is restricting those storywise (one player has gfb, two npcs have two of the other swag cantrips). I might convince him I can grab it as a magical secret at 10 when it'd be useful.

>>54467017
Regular dex fighter has lower ac than STR. I do like the light armor idea. Thx
>>
>>54467075
Mithril armor is only uncommon
>>
>>54467058
Damn; sounds like you belong in jail or offer your adventuring services to the city until the destroyed property is paid for.
>>
>>54467098
Seems like it's just 500gp extra to purchase. Not bad

How viable is Paladin2/Valor18?
>>
>>54467073
maybe they jailed him too but he wildshaped into a fly while the guard's back was turned or something
>>
File: Evolving Magic Items.pdf (2MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Evolving Magic Items.pdf
2MB, 1x1px
>>54466769
Alright, one more try. Rate these items, anything too strong? Too weak? These are effectively artifacts in my game. I was told to add to the Azathoth weapon.
>>
>>54467236
>not having anti-magic handcuffs
>>
>>54467286

maybe he wildshaped into a fly before the guards showed up and was never caught
>>
>>54467058
How on earth do you topple an entire gate house by heating a chain?
>>
>>54466911
Who gives a fuck? When the party drops pass without trace you're going to be autosucceeding all the reasonable stealth checks anyway.
>>
>>54467335
Yeah yeah we get it, magic users can do things

But how much damage does the Druid do in combat?
Checkmate, magic users.
>>
>>54467259

So many magic items are swords. Make some of those weirder weapons like Maces or Axes. We desperately need more people 'not' wielding swords.
>>
>>54467075

I never mentioned going Fighter, I said just go a typical dex valor bard with stealth proficiency checked. If you go dex that seems like all you really need.

You should probably grab it anyways, and not totally dump Dex for the times you need to be in Medium armor and so your stealth skills are decent. Having initiative is always nice too.
>>
File: 1488148829096.jpg (19KB, 326x294px) Image search: [Google]
1488148829096.jpg
19KB, 326x294px
why do people have such a blinding hatred for 5e?
admittedly it's the RPG system ive had experience with but it seems user friendly and not hard to learn, why does that make people in here hate it so much?
>>
>>54467415
do you always ask leading questions or is this a special occasion?
>>
>>54467358
I Uh.... I put flamable liquidsand explosives on the chain... The chain basically exploded
>>
>>54467439
im not leading
>>
>>54467448
You deserve to rot in prison for the rest of your natural life, roll up a new character
>>
>>54467415

Personally one of my biggest gripes is that the bonuses are small and the most commonly used die is large.

Imagine the real life scenario of a pasty middle aged guy who never works out compared a 240 pound slab of muscle. It's easy to imagine that there are things easy for the muscular guy to lift, but nigh impossible for the pasty guy to lift

In 5e, a barbarian can have 13 athletics and roll shitty and fail to lift something and a wizard with 0 can roll well and succeed.
>>
>>54467415
Most people think it's fine, actively enjoy it , or aren't bothered. The internet just exacerbates the voices of loud people who like to hate things because nobody is going to make a post to say 'x thing is okay' and likewise we live in too cynical an age where saying you enjoy something is seen as un-cool but mindlessy hating things is trendy.
>>
Anyone else feel weird about playing Half-Orcs? I love everything about the race the flavor, the look, Relentless Endurance, Savage Attacks, etc.

But as a Half-Orc, it's likely you're going to be slaying orcs at one point or another. Most of the mentions I see of Half-Orcs in PHB has them living with orcs, either as regular tribe members or as leaders. Obviously, they can be raised among humans but the PHB seems to paint living among orcs as the more "natural" environment for them.

The Half-Orc basically exists so you can play a "good orc" anyways. The NPC racism/prejudice doesn't bother me so much as the fact that you will be forced to essentially kill your own people most of the time. Not only that, but killing your own people is an undeniably "good" act for a Half-Orc because orcs are objectively always evil. It's kind of the main reason I'm not too enthusiastic about actually playing one.

Thoughts?
>>
>>54467490
Have you tried "take 10"? It might solve your problem in exchange for killing randomness
>>
>>54467556
You could play Eberron, orcs aren't evil in the setting.

Otherwise it's like being a tiefling, if you're a good half-orc you probably reject your orcish side and maybe even actively hate orcs to compensate for your insecurity about being a tainted monster baby.
>>
>>54467600

Isn't take 10 specifically for when you have a minute to try something and failure carries no cost? The scenario I provided is general enough that it might work, but there ends up being a bunch of specific instances where it doesn't
>>
So, thought experiment

If you remove the cap on ability scores, and set the level cap at 35, what's the most broken character combination you can put together
>>
>>54467556
As a human you'll end up killing a lot of other humans. Soldiers, bandits, pirates, etc. Same as a half elf. You'll be killing humans. Plus you can always try to talk the orcs down or just do non-lethal damage.
>>
>>54467556
Humans end up killing a lot of humans.
>>
DMs of /5eg/, how would you enact a siege battle with the PCs on the defending side?

Specifically, something similar to the Battle of Helm's Deep (or Hornburg, for any purists) from Jackson's movies.
>>
>>54467712
>>54467730

There are bad humans but lots of Objectively Good humans, not to mention that humans are often either super villains or super heroes.

Orcs are never good and they are always mooks to be mowed down en masse by the next band of five murderhobos.
>>
>>54467736

personally

>PC side starts out losing
>PCs have certain time critical objectives they can complete to turn the tide
>possibly locate and kill an enemy commander to break the other side's morale
>>
>>54467374
We'd have to wait till I got Pass without a Trace as a secret
>>54467392
I was saying a dex build valor has lower ac than a str build valor
>>
>>54467650

No, there's no take ten rule in 5E so no guidelines for it. The closest is passive perception which is basically the assumption that PC's are always doing a take 10 on perception so they don't have to roll for it endlessly.

In 3.5 this is how it works and how I use it still in 5E. Basically if the players aren't in combat they can take ten to bypass something. Combat is more random due to the stress of it.

>Taking 10
When your character is not being threatened or distracted, you may choose to take 10. Instead of rolling 1d20 for the skill check, calculate your result as if you had rolled a 10. For many routine tasks, taking 10 makes them automatically successful. Distractions or threats (such as combat) make it impossible for a character to take 10.
>>
File: Boggle 5e.jpg (208KB, 1218x1130px) Image search: [Google]
Boggle 5e.jpg
208KB, 1218x1130px
>using Barber of Silverymoon as a launching point for a campaign
>people averted to getting a haircut

Despite being good Jooge in broad daylight, how can players be so jumpy when it comes to that sort of thing. Free rooms? We'll camp outside. Free food? No thanks, rations for me.
>>
>>54467855
>Stealth game
>Nobody with pass without trace
???
>>
>>54467890
It's a druid/ranger spell. We have a Kensai, Warlock, EK, then if the 5th plays he's a Bard and I'll be a Ranger/Swashbuckler. If he flakes I'll go Bard or Paladin/Bard.
>>
>>54467760
Depends on the setting. As was said earlier, all orcs being evil isn't a thing in Eberron, and I'd imagine many homebrews don't make orcs auto-evil either.
>>
Why is there no quick draw feat or its equivalent?
>>
Gotta question. I'm bit annoyed that blades can go through armor in d&d 5e. Then i remembered that there was a chart in AD&D 2e about what strengths and weaknesses different armor's had, like padded armor had -1 to piercing. Would it break the game if i brought that into d&d 5e or modified it like. Padded armor and the like get advantages and disadventages to different damage types? Bludgeoning for example could have advantage for hit against plate armor.
>>
What are some things I can do make my group of new players better at D&D and tabletop games in general? I'm trying to sprinkle in a few learning experiences into the Phandelver module I'm running for them.
>>
>>54468196
a u t i s m
>>
>>54468183
Because drawing a weapon can be part of an attack.
>>
>>54468183
Because drawing one object during combat is a free action
>>
>>54468183
Because throwing weapons are apparently badwrong to specialize in.
>>
>>54468196
Leave and never come back.
>>
>>54468280
Why tho? Don't you like AD&D?
>>
>>54468254
>>54468256
you can draw a weapon as part of an attack, but you can't put one away

beyond >>54468267 this means that you can't put away a weapon, pull out a different one and attack with it in the same turn
>>
>>54468364
If you're useing a one-handed weapon you could draw a throwing knife with the other hand and throw. Depends on the DM tho, cause he might give you disadvantage for that.
>>
>>54468403
I'm talking stuff like "oh shit a skeleton jumped out of this closet, I better put away the sword and get a mace"
>>
>>54468403
He's fucking you over for no reason if he does.
RAW you take no penalties for attacking with a one-handed weapon no matter what the fuck your other hand is holding.
>>
>>54468426
You could drop the sword and pull the mace out, that's fine.
>>
>>54468426
Just drop the sword and pull the mace.
>>
>>54468453
>>54468459
Sure, but maybe for whatever practical or personal reason I don't feel like doing this, and so I'm willing to lose a feat to do so

Why doesn't it exist? Don't say it's not strong enough because there's a lot of really useless shit in 5E feats
>>
>>54468484
Because nobody at WotC thought it was necessary.
They're right.
>>
>>54468484
Then talk with your DM, see if he's willing to make a quick draw type feat.

Maybe take it from 4e's quick draw, draw weapon with attack action and a small bonus to initiative? I don't know
>>
File: Constanze chew.gif (57KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
Constanze chew.gif
57KB, 600x800px
>>54466769
Life Cleric. I'm a sucker for huge healing in and out of combat.

My last cleric ended up saving one of my party members from an unfortunate end after they got trapped in a force cage with a vampire. They were a sorcerer who thought it would be a good idea to have the Bard Force Cage the vampire, and then teleport inside the force cage to try and telekinesis them. Afterwards, she proceeded to resuscitate our fallen NPC friends that were killed by said vampire. It was a good day.
>>
>>54467383
Okay, I may add some Maces and Axes to the list.
>>
>Actually considering using forgotten realms but there's so much material to digest
How do you handle running a game in a pre-established setting? Especially the setup. For example, do you just ignore what isn't of use to you?
>>
>>54466769
>What's your favorite type of Cleric? Why?
Light, the answer for everything is fireball, always fireball
>>
>>54468698
>do you just ignore what isn't of use to you?
Typically, yeah. As DM, I don't really need to know everything, just what is relevant to my players and the plot.
>>
File: 888fdaae3072b3ff8af6581488eb2a99.jpg (372KB, 729x1000px) Image search: [Google]
888fdaae3072b3ff8af6581488eb2a99.jpg
372KB, 729x1000px
how does abyssal arcana for abyssal tieflings work?
i dont understand if you just roll for a new spell you get to use after spending the last one or if its something else?
>>
What's the most mindfucky thing you've done to your party?

I've got an island where nothing is quite real or fixed so weird stuff happens, but I like to mess with the players as well as the characters so there's a greater sense of immersion.

>added a town next to their base that wasn't there before, updated the map they used, made reference to it, didn't point it out, so they were like "was that always there"
>had a dungeon filled with illusions and morality tests that had no effect on success as long as they were solved
>had a doppelganger replace a party member a week when he was away, played by one person in the group as a second character, then when the person came back, got them to play the doppelganger so really no one knew which was real (also helped me catch out metagamers who assumed the normal one was real)
>>
Anon from last night or so here, I asked about muh forge cleric with martial proficiency before and you guys convinced me to dip Fighter.

How does Champion 5/Forge X work? As a VHuman I'll take Fell-Handed to start with, but I don't think my character's one for fancy stuff like maneuvers.
For fighting style my original idea was Defense with a shield and warhammer, but someone's poking me to want to use a maul and GWF.
>>
>>54468835
You reroll every Long Rest.
>>
>>54468876
>had a doppelganger replace a party member a week when he was away, played by one person in the group as a second character, then when the person came back, got them to play the doppelganger so really no one knew which was real (also helped me catch out metagamers who assumed the normal one was real)
That is delightful.
>>
>>54467383
Are you insane? Since 5e's advent, people have been making fun of any martials using something else other than polearms.

God forbid if you play a Paladin wielding a longsword, which, y'know, used to be their most iconic weapon in previous editions.

At any rate, we need way the fuck less people using polearms because they're good, and more people using whatever it is that THEY find cool.
>>
>>54469122
Polearm Master + Sentinel is perfectly balanced.
>>
>>54469122
I put one Glaive in >>54467259.

http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/S1m7nEU8eZ

I don't mind making a Mace , Handaxe, and Hand Crossbow though. Any ideas for a starting point?
>>
>>54469165
This. It only gets screwy if you throw Tunnel Fighter into the mix because Tunnel Fighter is busted as fuck.
>>
>>54469084
Champ prefers the Maul due to the crit range bonus. You're not screwed if you decide on the hammer though since you can still double the dice from your Divine Strike.

Battlemaster would let you abuse Fell-handed more often with things like Trip Attack. It's a strong defensive option that plays into your utility role as a Cleric.
>>
is barbarian a good class for a first timer who's mildly to extremely awkward and autistic?
i figure something not too complex and not too talky while i get settled in would be a good idea
>>
>>54469407
Barbarian is a good class to start off learning the game as so go for it. As the game progresses and you start seeing all the things other people can do you'll probably start getting bored but 'being big man with big weapon' always has a place in a party comp
>>
>>54469122

>tfw in my current game i play a mountain dwarf oath of vengeance paladin with a maul
>have GWM

Just seeing how much hate GWM gets, I feel like a munchkin. But I objectively love 2h weapons like mauls and greataxes. Whenever I play a martial, that's what I naturally gravitate towards. Polearms are cool but a dwarf paladin with a glaive isn't a cool image in my head.
>>
>>54469482
I mean GWM on its own isn't incredibly op, but when combined with shit like PAM it is
>>
>>54469165
It's not gamebreaking or anything, my problem with it lies in how overused it is. I'd be incredibly surprised no GM with more than a few games under their belt has ever gotten a ''look at this sick feat synergy I found online, bro'' at their table.
That, and shitty munchkins trying to win a roleplaying games because ''biggerer numbers must mean I'm playing betterer!''.

I feel bad for the people that actually like polearms this edition. Hell, it's not like you can blame the players either, since it's not their fault they fucked up weapon balance like that.

>>54469234
I don't know if you intend on other people to use these, but have you considered describing the weapons themselves at length? How they came to be, what they represent: we're talking about artifacts, after all.

>>54469482
Great weapons are fucking awesome, I've always thought GWM's ''cleave-lite'' extra attack as a bonus action was neat.
Yeah, it's strong if you play around it, but from what I've seen around it gets much less use (and way more hate) than PAM.
>>
File: yuan ti abomination sexy.jpg (147KB, 820x580px) Image search: [Google]
yuan ti abomination sexy.jpg
147KB, 820x580px
Do female yuan-ti abominations still have tits in 5e?
>>
>>54469323

Spending a bonus action to get free AoOs against people who enter your reach, disengage from your reach, or attack an ally seems a bit silly.
>>
>>54469482

I can't stand playing with GWM or SS. Even if it works out mathematically to be more damage overall, that -5 to hit is unacceptable.

I've been burned too many times where I missed a fuck ton attacks in a row, and one time our barbarian who was +7 to hit missed 9 attacks in a row on an enemy with 16 AC, while he got slowly whittled to death by chip damage. no fucking way I'm ever making that more likely.
>>
>>54469519
>Describing them at length.
I'm working on adding more detail to them. I can place how to upgrade them in there and I trying to add some deeper lore and history for them.

I'm currently worried about the stats at the moment.
>>
File: 1498320257322.jpg (192KB, 850x708px) Image search: [Google]
1498320257322.jpg
192KB, 850x708px
>>54469522
In my magical realm, yes.
>>
What type magic items and how many of the would you give to players starting at level 5? I can't seem to find the chart, but they would have prior experience adventuring and it would fit if they had something.
>>
>>54469561

It definitely seems like something to break out when you can guarantee advantage.
>>
>>54469522
no question about it
>>
I'm looking through Lost Mines of Phandelver as my first module to DM. Does anyone have any experience with ANY of the 5e pre-made modules aside from LMoP?
>>
File: chart.png (498KB, 1000x418px) Image search: [Google]
chart.png
498KB, 1000x418px
>>54469635
Probabaly 1 uncommon that is very unlikely to change combat for level 5
>>
>>54469365
But would it be worth losing the defensive capabilities for specializing?

Trip Attack is pretty useless if you already have advantage on your attacks, isn't it? In the thing I'm in, casters with familiars (and thus Help spam) are pretty commonplace already, as are Battlemasters and surprisingly enough even Masterminds (if the person isn't playing a Swashbuckler).

How about with those facts in mind?
>>
>>54467415
Oh sweet sweet summer child. You should have been here when 4e came out. The board was literally 35% 40k 65% Fighting about 3.5 vs 4th

But asking that question is like asking why the Republican/Democrat talking head on TV has a blind hatred for their opponent... because they're the opponent. People who like 2/3.5/PF/4/<Insert other System> will generally fight (because they can anon etc) over which one is better, plus 5e is new so it's a very easy target.
>>
>>54469545
You don't get to use Sentinel with Tunnel Fighter. Sentinel says you make an attack as a reaction to the enemy making the attack, not that the enemy is provoking AoO by doing so.
>>
>>54469561
PAM QS+Shield Paladin with Bless up is for you.

3 attacks, no penalties, competitive round-to-round damage spike at 11, and you apply your smites to any hit you deem appropriate.
>>
I always hear people go on about LmoP for the best starting DM campaign, but how long does it actually take to complete? How much work would I need to do to set it up? And how easy is it to modify? (As I'll be changing some stuff around in case players decide to be cocks and read the books)
>>
>>54469775
QS?
>>
>>54469799
Quarterstaff
>>
>>54469771

Ah. That's a bit better, but free AoOs is still nothing to sneeze at.
>>
>>54469775

I'd rather just not be in melee, thanks. What I said about rolls is also true in reverse.

>Have 19 AC
>enemies are +3 to hit
>hit me 9 out of 11 times
>fail a DC 10 CON save against disease even though my CON save is +5

Rather just be 120 feet away from anything that can hurt me
>>
>>54469797

If you're lucky with about 6 hour sessions, competent players, and a consistent schedule you can breeze through it in about five sessions/weeks. In my own experience, I've had only DM'd three hour games which comes up to a three month long saga(so far).
>>
>>54469816
Well, if you're ranged the best damage options are

Battle Master with Hand Crossbow + Archery FS + Crossbow Expert + Sharpshooter

Sorlock

Hasted Rogue getting two Sneak Attacks per round

Hex + Scorching Ray

Nothing else competes.
>>
>>54469891
>Hasted Rogue getting two Sneak Attacks per round

Doesn't this require your second attack to be a ready action?
>>
>>54469891
How does haste let a rogue SA twice?
>>
>>54469907
Yes. Or if you have levels into Battle Master.
>>
>>54469913
Action- attack
Ready an action- Attack when it's not your turn
>>
>>54469907
Yes, you attack with your Haste action, and Ready your normal action with some easy condition like the enemy attacks or an ally attacks or whatever.
>>
>>54469907
You could also take Sentinel, but that takes up your Uncanny Dodge so could b risky.
>>
File: 1457977745011.jpg (257KB, 542x1100px) Image search: [Google]
1457977745011.jpg
257KB, 542x1100px
my friends, how do we bring back double weapons? i'm honestly surprised that spiked chain was left out
pic not related
>>
File: IMG_0026.png (3MB, 2208x1242px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0026.png
3MB, 2208x1242px
This happened in one of my recent sessions
>play as a monk
>party finds a dungeon
>in one of the rooms there's a book lying in the middle of the floor
>the chaotic evil half orc immediately claims it as his despite never having read a book in his life
>ask if I can take a look at it
>"Fine, just know that it's mine and you're giving it back."
>start reading it
>upon reading it, my dm tells me that it's a relic of my goddess
>this is clearly meant to belong to my character
>tell the half orc what it is
>"Well too bad, monk it's still mine"
>this fucking greedy nigger
>offer to buy it off him or give him my share of the loot for the dungeon
>"No, it's mine and you're not having it"
>fuck this guy
>"No, actually. It's mine now."
>he tries to grab it from my hands
>beat him in a strength contest despite my 9 strength and his 17
>put it in my backpack and keep a close eye on him for the rest of the dungeon
>give him my share anyway
>he's still mad
>leave the book at my monastery so he can't steal it from me
Was I justified in doing that?
>>
>>54470138
Anything that fucks over a PC that can somehow even justify being chaotic evil is always justified

But yes you did the right thing. He would have done nothing with the book once he found out it didn't have any super cool spells in it and only wanted it back because you wanted it
>>
>>54470138
Dicking over retards is always just.
>>
>>54470138
You should have stunning strike and raped his ass. Monks are not to be fucked with in PvP.
>Lmao stunning strike
>Stunning Barbarians cancels their rage
>You can just outrun melee classes and can get up in ranged classes face super quick
>Shadow Sorcerers can Silence casters in addition to just teleporting behind them and unsheathing their fist
>Long Death Monks can tank 11 killing blows in a row, even from shit like Disintegrate
>>
What's in the starter pack? Does anyone have a link?
>>
>>54470262
In honestly surprised it didn't escalate into a fight considering this guy is actually a murderer. He probably would have kicked my ass though since we were still level 3. He's a fighter and he also had an action surge ready
>>
>>54470323
>not using step of the wind to bonus action disengage and make like a banana
>>
>>54470323
At level 3 it depends a lot more on the enemy's "build" since you don't have Stunning Strike or a lot of Ki.

Basically in my experience low level PC fights are a simple matter of "damage race to see who wins" since no classes have anything interesting to play with yet, and if they have HAM you might as well not bother since at level 3 that's going to eat half your damage every attack, or if they have SS/GWM it's a matter of them getting one hit in to fuck you over (though in this case as a Horc they wouldn't)
>>
>>54470372
Yeah, I had a different escape plan ready anyway. I was going to run around a corner, go through the nearby door and use my minor illusion to make it look like the rest of the wall. I just wouldn't have been able to make him my bitch like I wanted to
>>
>>54470420
>Shadow monk
nigga you have good taste
>>
Vote for your favorite spots for Curse of Strahd artifacts, including Original spots like bottom of Lake Zarovich or Roc's nest

>Hardmode, no Castle Ravenloft
>>
>>54470269
Premade characters with instructions on how to level them as far as level 5, simplified rules, a bare-bones set of dice, and a pretty good adventure.
>>
>>54470568
What's the adventure? Can I just download the standalone module?
>>
>>54470119
Just take two light weapons and glue them together. How is this hard?
>>
>>54470561
Inside the golthias tree, like the tree actually grew around it
>>
>>54470587
It's called Lost Mines of Phandelver. The mega is currently down, so we don't have a pdf for you. Check the pdf sharing thread. It's the one with Carrie Fisher on it.
>>
>>54470561
Tome of Strahd on St Markov ia, fuel the abbot's delusion by having him think the Tome is basically Twilight
>>
Running a pre-made as a newbie DM. I feel like I'm woefully underprepared. What books do I 100% ABSOLUTELY need? I got the PHB, the DM guide, and the actual pre-made module pdf. Anything else you guys recommend?
>>
I want to run a module, but nothing full-scale like the large adventures. What should I do?
>>
>>54470695
a screen and to actually read through the DMG and the module in advanced
>>
>>54470695
Either get the Monster Manual or read up closely on all the monsters in the adventure and make sure they're all there and you know how they work. That's it, really.
>>
what's the coolest race for a necromancer? Looks, feel, possibly features, etc. Racial ability score bonuses don't matter
>>
>>54470695
That's all you need. Are you new or new to DMing?
>>
>>54470739
Lizardfolk cannibal who uses his undead thralls like walking dish trays. Casting focus is a dinner bell.
>>
>>54470742
I've played a bit of 5e, but mostly new to DMing.
>>
>>54470590
>Not gluing together three weapons
>>
>>54470711
Get a small adventure from the DMs guild or something. A lot of them are pay what you want
>>
File: 1500767318320.jpg (164KB, 792x1102px) Image search: [Google]
1500767318320.jpg
164KB, 792x1102px
>>54470788
>not chaining together 5 weapons
>>
File: 1c1.png (17KB, 297x309px) Image search: [Google]
1c1.png
17KB, 297x309px
>>54470917
>>54470788
>taking quantity over quality
>>
>>54469522
Purebloods at the very least do
>>
>>54470726
>>54470723
Thanks, anons. How much of the PHB/DMG should I know like the back of my hand?
>>
>>54471144
All of it ya autist, this is your life now
>>
So how do most of you play 5e? In person or online?
>>
>>54471171
In person with my childhood friends they are all a bunch of retards tho
>>
>>54467490
The easiest solution to that problem is to have said barbarian only roll for things that would be a challenge to lift. So he's able to lift the table because a 50 pound piece of wood shouldn't be a problem, but the wizard still has to roll to do the same.
>>
>>54471144
Most of the relevant stuff
It's not a super huge amount
>>
File: battleplan.png (11KB, 881x608px) Image search: [Google]
battleplan.png
11KB, 881x608px
Playing a necromancer. Is this a good way to have my skelies distributed? (J is me.)
>>
>>54471144
The dmg is almost all general advice and optional rules. Learn how combat works and how the players' own spells and class features work. Learn what the conditions do. If you want, the back of the dm screen has cheat sheets.
>>
>>54471274
>EIGHT SKELETONS
Your party and DM will hate you.
>>
>>54466769
>What's your favorite type of Cleric?

War Domain

>Why?

Because I'm basic bitch and I'll admit it. I like doing damage. Don't have to protect the party against an enemy that's dead. Also I like the play style of a Paladin but not the character archetype that the class implies.

In all honesty I last saved the party a long time ago. It was against a horde of skeletons (10) and our levels were 3. The encounter was because of an inexperienced GM, but so was the ensuing slaughter of the bone men by way of my war hammer. In heinsight, was still a pretty close call.
>>
>Have wanted to play DnD for as long as I can fucking remember.
>Finally gonna have a chance soon.
>First session will also be with a bunch of new guys, but they'll be creating their characters on the day so half the day will just be character creation.

For those without education/work related groups, how do you find games? Especially games that would welcome a new retard like myself.
>>
>>54471203

In order to make something "not a problem" for the barbarian its DC would have to be 14 or lower. If it's 14 the wizard with no modifier still has a 35% chance of succeeding.
>>
>>54471313
>Also I like the play style of a Paladin but not the character archetype that the class implies.

5e paladins were made for you then
>>
>>54471274
Couple of things. First, space. Unless you're in a big open field and also playing on a big table, that won't fly. Second, you presumably have a party who will do their own thing that you should supplement. Third, skeletons and summoned creatures do what you tell them, but you have to actually tell them in-character. You don't get to remote control them with perfect accuracy. The DM moves them for you and has them follow your orders as they interpreted them.
>>
>>54471322
I have a local store that does Adventurer's League
But I've got friends in the hobby too
>>
>>54467200
Why doesn't anyone ever do this?
Come to think of it, in a world with adventurerers and almost boundless riches, there should be groups and individuals who specialize in framing adventurers for crimes, the adventurers are then offered to go free if they offer their loot to the authorities.
>>
I'm running a newbie game on roll20 for Lost Mine of Phandelver. Is it worth dropping the $20 just to have the maps and shit?
>>
>>54471388
If you don't have the maps how are you running the adventure?
>>
File: book of dorf 2e.png (4MB, 1221x1584px) Image search: [Google]
book of dorf 2e.png
4MB, 1221x1584px
>>54471388
If you want
Or you can just print em out for free
>>
>>54471388
>https://dnd.rem.uz/5e%20D%26D%20Books/
Check this link. It has the maps in a zip folder.
>>
What is the best build for clerics for damage?
>>
>>54471509
Paladin
>>
>>54471509
Tempest.
>>
>>54471509
There is no build, literally use spiritual guardians, spiritual weapon and dodge and that's fucking it otherwise stop trying to do damage you fuck
>>
>>54471509
Choose Light, Tempest or War as domain. Prepare Guiding Bolt, Inflict Wounds, Fireball, Spiritual Weapon and Spirit guardians
>>
>>54469522
Female dragonborn officially do not have breasts. I assume this policy extends to all monsters that are based on something that wouldn't have breasts.
>>
>>54471509
Pure cleric? Depends on what you want to do.
A Strength build v. human War cleric can start slapping folks for 4d6+26 right from level 1 w/ GWM and Bless offsetting that shitty -5.

Wis build is a little weaker but can still be pretty effective. Arcana cleric can take Warcaster/Resilient(CON) and grab Shocking Grasp or something. At 3rd grab Spiritual Weapon, and 5th Spirit Guardians.
It'll cost your spells, but the damage/round comes out to about 6d8+4 (Assuming you boosted Wis at 18 @ 4th)
Light meanwhile just drops fireballs on fools. Can't argue 8d6 in a 20ft radius as not doing good DPS.
>>
>>54469891
Why hand crossbow?
>>
>>54469939
Ready action would preclude Uncanny Dodge too.
>>
File: dohg.jpg (13KB, 239x187px) Image search: [Google]
dohg.jpg
13KB, 239x187px
>guy rolls literally nothing but martials
>whines about class balance almost every time casters are picking their spells
>even when it's just the life cleric
>visibly bristles when anyone else does something cool in combat
>even the other martials
>>
new DM here, how do you guys organise all your monsters, maps, and information for a session?
im running my encounters out of like four notebooks and it's really bothersome.
any tips?
>>
>>54471788
I've found OneNote to be super helpful, but that may just be because I have a Surface Pro 4 (not a shill) that I use for taking notes for classes anyway
>>
>>54471703

Aren't yuan-ti just mutated humans? It would make more sense for them to have tits than other reptilian races
>>
>>54471817
it's magic
>>
/tg/, I will spend three hours on an airplane. Advise me something /tg/-related to watch that is not Critical Role
>>
>>54471310
The entire reason I have them in groups is so I can do all the shit for a group in one go.
>>54471351
>space
Yeah, this is the optimal thing, odds are we'll have to group up
>party doing own thing
We're a bunch of unccordinated morons who couldn't work together to save our lives. Ideally, the ranged attackers will be in the back, and the melee fighters will be with the melee skeletons.
>>
File: 676[1].gif (543KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
676[1].gif
543KB, 200x200px
>>54471883

Harmonquest
>>
>>54471883
Listen to a history audiobook.
>>
does prestidigitation's clean/soil ability only last an hour or is it permanent?
>>
>>54471883

Watch one of the LotR movies.
>>
>>54471953
d&d is sword and sorcery not medieval fantasy
>>
Hey nerds, I'm new to this board so I'm sorry if this isn't something that normally is asked, but I've been running a game for a few years and I just had my party fall into a pit and TADA

They're at the entrance to the Tomb of Horrors from the Tales from the Yawning Portal.

I've seen DM guides or something like that on here and elsewhere before and was wondering if there was one for ToH. I tried googling it, but I came up empty.
>>
>>54471948
If it doesn't specify that it lasts an hour, it's permanent.
>>
>>54472000
>implying you can't do a low fantasy setting dnd campaign
>>
>>54472034
Don't start this shit again
>>
>>54471883

The Adventure Zone
>>
>>54472034
of course you can't because by level 5 spellcasters are reality benders
>>
why are Volo's guide lizardfolk so bad
>>
>>54472143
>Lizardmans
>Bad
Is this some kind of meme?
>>
>>54472081
Just ban spellcasters or limit their spell levels :^)
>>
>>54472143
What's wrong with them? They seem okay.
>>
>>54472143
I wouldn't say "bad", but they're definitely half-measures.

>Con and Wis awesome for Druids/Clerics
>great for Rangers, Rogues, and Monks
>swim speed is nice
>Bite doesn't scale, so severely unimpressive past tier 1
>special Bite suffers the same problem
>making blowguns and the like is flavorful
>still just a blowgun
>Hold Breath is meh
>free proficiency never a bad thing
>Natural Armor suffers because of how AC selection works in 5e
>>
>>54472273
>Ranger Lizardman
>Brawny and Tavern Brawler
>Hold a shield and a free hand
>Grapple and maul niggas with your built in Shortsword
>With 16 DEX you have 18 AC with a shield
>You can grapple enemies and pull them underwater for 15 minutes (assuming your DM uses water ever and would let you drown someone before the ridiculous amount of time you can hold your breath)
>>
File: god why.jpg (44KB, 600x1289px) Image search: [Google]
god why.jpg
44KB, 600x1289px
>>54466769
Well, this is ironic.
>Be me
>Be the cleric of the party
>We're playing 5e DnD over discord
>Whole party starts talking over one another to decide weather or not they want to loot the cellar
>It gets so out of hand the DM can't be heard
>I ask him privately if I can leave
>He says yes
>I leave
>I come back onto the server to chat
>Monk of the party complains to me about dying saying that I was the cause of it
>says I'm a lil bitch
>I tell him I left because there was conflict in the party
>"We were arguing"
>Tell him that's why I left
>"We weren't arguing we were conversing"
>mfw
>>
>>54467490
Did you not read the rules?

The most you can lift before needing to roll is 30 times your Strength Score. Powerful Build and the Bear Totem 6th level feature will double this. With 20 Strength you can lift 2400 pounds without needing to roll if you have those two features, or 600 pounds if you just have 20 strength. 600 pounds is a lot.

Maybe instead of just spouting shit maybe you could read the rules.
>>
>>54467490
>Personally one of my biggest gripes is that the bonuses are small and the most commonly used die is large.
Totally a matter of opinion. Personally, I prefer games where tasks are not "hopeless unless you took every possible bonus to this task."
>In 5e, a barbarian can have 13 athletics and roll shitty and fail to lift something and a wizard with 0 can roll well and succeed.
Your specific example is shit though, because there's actually rules for how much a character can lift.
>>54472431
A ton of the complaints about 5E come from people not reading the rules.
>>54467650
>specifically for when you have a minute to try something and failure carries no cost
That's, hold on, let me quote it.
MULTIPLE ABILITY CHECKS
Sometimes a character fails an ability check and
wants to try again. In some cases, a character is free
to do so; the only real cost is the time it takes. With
enough attempts and enough time, a character should eventually succeed at the task. To speed things up,
assume that a character spending ten times the normal
amount of time needed to complete a task automatically
succeeds at that task. However, no amount of repeating
the check allows a character to turn an impossible task
into a successful one.
>>
File: 1492030022971.jpg (320KB, 500x572px) Image search: [Google]
1492030022971.jpg
320KB, 500x572px
>>54472492
>A ton of the complaints about 5E come from people not reading the rules.
It's almost as if all these pictures exist for a reason.
>>
>>54467867
>The closest is passive perception which is basically the assumption that PC's are always doing a take 10 on perception so they don't have to roll for it endlessly.
No, the assumption is that they're always rolling perception, and that averages out to 10. You can use the passive score for any continuous activity as well as to make a hidden check for a PC.
>>
>>54472492
Really though it absolutely does. Martials can do much more than people realize because of how many non-combat things are tied to the Strength stat. Any sort of jump, acrobatics (Which is kinda funny, since the acrobatics skill has nothing to do with acrobatics), climbing, swimming, feats of strength, and loads of other things are all tied to strength. I mean just the fact that 20 Strength characters can lift 600 pounds is ridiculous. People also don't realize that rolling a 20 means jackshit since it isn't an attack roll, the "natural 20" meme doesn't apply in 5e. You can fail a roll with a 20, and succeed with a 1. Critical Roles and Fails only apply for attack rolls, that's it.

So that Wizard can try and lift up that heavy thing, he might be able to, he might not, but that Barbarian is doing it regardless.

TL;DR READ THE FUCKING BOOK
>>
File: 1446879792382.jpg (13KB, 420x300px) Image search: [Google]
1446879792382.jpg
13KB, 420x300px
Alright fa/tg/uys I need some help.

Level 4, Firbolg, Moon Druid.

My DM had had me find a neat-o item that lets me commit to memory every day, 2 non-beast creatures (non-humanoid), and be able to access those 2 for use with my wildshapes ability provided I have seen them. What are the coolest things to look out for?

> inb4 baby rage about the system, item, or druids. My DM trusts us not to abuse things and we haven't let him down yet.
>>
>>54472273
>>54472364
So they're alright rangers, clerics and druids?
>>
>>54472579
>>54472509
>>54472492
The fact that the rules are so streamlined this edition means there's really no excuse to be an autustic retard, and to go into the playing the system with preconceived assumptions without reading the rules is also fucking retarded.
>>
>>54468332

Not as much as we like 5e, which is why this is 5eg. There actually is an OSR general for people who like OSR better than 5e. You're more than welcome to hang out in both, but if you want to try and pick a fight between them put it in its own thread rather than junking up the generals.
>>
>>54472683
Yeah.
>>
is there a meme shillelagh build
>>
>>54467654
Assuming multiclassing? Hexblade warlock 1/vengeance paladin 14/ fighter 20? 4 attacks with dex/str+cha+prof + smite+ passivesmite+hunters mark. Off the top of my head
>>
>>54469663
Well, in Faerun at least weren't Yuan Ti a human civilization that made a pact with some snake God amid their decline? And then kind of emulated one of the Ancient progenitor races of Toril?
>>
>>54467936
Clearly, your monk is dropping the ball.
>>54468196
>Would it break the game if i brought that into d&d 5e
Break the game? Maybe, maybe not. Completely destroy fun and speed of play? Totally.
>>54468364
Quick draw didn't let you put a weapon away either.
>>54471883
The Gamers 2: Dorkness Rising. Last I checked, it's on Youtube.
>>54472273
>Bite doesn't scale, so severely unimpressive past tier 1
Turns out longswords don't scale either. Terrible, ain't it?
>>
File: 1477894882008.jpg (325KB, 800x1094px) Image search: [Google]
1477894882008.jpg
325KB, 800x1094px
>>54472579
>I mean just the fact that 20 Strength characters can lift 600 pounds is ridiculous.

Isn't 20 strength supposed to be superhuman, since 18 is the natural limit of what a human can achieve?

I mean, in real life, there are humans capable of lifting way more than 600 pounds. (Of course, it depends on the type of lift.)

For comparison, these are the personal records (taken from Wikipedia) of Hafþór Júlíus Björnsson, who I feel that I should note has NOT won the World's Strongest Man competition but HAS come in third/second place multiple times:

>Squat – 380 kg (795 lbs) raw
>Bench press – 230 kg (528 lbs) raw
>Tire deadlift – 450 kg (994 lbs) raw with wrist straps
>Deadlift – 460 kg (1014 lbs) 4.625 cronans raw with straps
>Log Press – 206.5 kg (455 lbs)
>Log carry – [5 steps] 650 kg (1433 lbs)
>Keg throw – 7.15 m (world record)
>>
>>54472784
>longsword doesn't scale

Did you forget enchantments exist?
>>
>>54469635

I'd give the classes that don't automatically get a magic attack a +0 weapon (counts as magic, but either doesn't add a combat bonus or adds a very circumstantial one) and everybody else an uncommon non-combat item.
>>
>>54472811
Hate to break it to you but D&D is a fantasy game and direct comparisons with ability scores is retarded.
>>
>>54472509
>>54472579
>>54472693
Unfortunately, the rest of the complaints come from poorly written books, like
>On Magic Jar, is your HP and hit dice not a class feature? Do you use your hp or the body's?
>WTF can a simulacrum really do? Does it know all the original's secrets? Does it act on its own or only act with specific orders?
>Why is wish so broken?
>What's an attack?
>Are there seriously a whole bunch of things you can use to hurt people without ending invisibility or sanctuary?
>>
>>54472818
You aren't guaranteed a magic longsword. Plus, magic items can be anything or do anything. Don't forget about Morte's interchangeable teeth or the insignia of claws (amulet of mighty fists).
>>
>>54472867
>Hate to break it to you but D&D is a fantasy game and direct comparisons with ability scores is retarded.

I'm completely aware, I just wanted clarification.
>>
>>54469635
Depends on the campaign. 5e allows and encourages me to foist over as many or as few magic items as I want.

However, the DMG has guidelines for how many hordes a party will find in a "typical" campaign, and hordes is where 100% of magical items come from if you're literally only rolling random treasure.
>>
>>54472509
>>54472492

niggers

>Barbarian can lift 600 pounds without making a roll
>tries to lift 601 pounds

What DC do you set? Anything less than 20, and the wizard can potentially do it too. anything more than 20 is going to feel wrong since it's only one pound different than what he can lift without trying. If you set it as 21 he could fail by rolling a 7. Is one pound really that different?

Regardless, I agree, this is actually probably the worst skill example.

What about picking locks?

anything with a DC 15 is failable by a rogue with expertise unless you're at super late game levels, but doable by a cleric with 10 dex who's never tried to pick a lock in his life.

The bonuses are so small an expert can fail while a complete shitter succeeds. It makes it feel like your character's area of expertise doesn't matter at all, and all that matters is your luck.
>>
>>54472859
A magic weapon isn't a universal necessity, and certainly isn't at level 5. The DM should know whether it's needed or not, as it makes those encounters a lot easier. The players should silver their weapons if they're worried.
>>
>>54472868
For most of those though the DM can make a quick and easy ruling.

For example, sanctuary the RAI is 'exploiting loopholes still ends sanctuary' but any DM could have easily said 'yeah, you're obviously trying to exploit it when it's a spell to take you out of combat.'

Stuff like simulacrum and magic jar and wish at least leaves room for the DM to say 'no, fuck you' though they should have been done much better.
>>
File: 1.jpg (47KB, 500x720px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
47KB, 500x720px
so what's the deal with druids only having 2 wild shapes until lvl 20? I would say AT LEAST as many as they have cantrips, which is hardly an improvement. alternatively i would let them burn spell slots to get extra wild shapes.

>>54466769
i've only played a trickster cleric in an evil oneshot, i thought it was pretty fun. Basically i teleported a couple of us out of the end game fight because we were allowed to be CE. also >>54468672 though. I'm thinking of making a shaper druid with a level in life cleric for the ridiculous goodberry heals. seems like a well-rounded character.

>>54466819
Wild-shapers merge their belongings into themselves, maybe he could bring a caster in a BOH who could teleport you out, or a scroll of some sort of teleportation spell, especially if you could buy one from a shop. These are pretty cheap methods though, i see a lot of room for great roleplay here that these methods are avoiding.

>>54466865
My DM gives us race feats, i would also consider allowing featless races to take feats from other races that are relevant. e.g. That needle-skin thing tieflings have could work for lizardmen.
honestly i would even allow people a free skill/tool feat later on to compensate for the retardation that is rolling d20's for skills (>>54467490). maybe removing the bonus to an ability score.

>>54467259
I got through azathoth. I think you're very creative, one thing i would change is making the DCs stat based. Also, i'm having trouble understanding the point of Azathoth's active. What is your intention with it? i don't see the upside.

>>54468196
I was gonna say i wouldn't have a problem with this in terms of balance but I'm also a bit of an autist. I think you should just not do that, number crunching just breaks immersion, you'll get used to it, you won't get used to having to do calculations and think about what armor every creature is wearing.
>>
>>54472889
>you aren't guaranteed a magic longsword
>simultaneously say you can get a magic item (1 from WotC, the other not in 5e [yet]) to make the bite have a +1
>>
>>54472811
The carry weight /lift / etc stuff in the book is just stuff you can easily, regularly do, without preparing yourself for some sort of world record break and potentially even doing it mid combat.

If the book says you lift something, that means you have no issue just lifting it up and carrying it around. Otherwise, you might have to do an athletics/strength check to carry something heavier.
>>
>>54471788
Honestly, I don't know how, but I keep track of most of the important information I need to know as a DM in my head. I have a small notebook that I use to keep track of important and extremely specific information that I can't afford to forget, as well as the various random encounters and boss encounters that can happen, but that's it.

However, my most current campaign is taking place in the TftYP book and my previous homebrew campaigns I spent weeks or months mentally prepping for, so maybe that's part of the reasoning.
>>
File: 1499794326225.png (38KB, 499x338px) Image search: [Google]
1499794326225.png
38KB, 499x338px
>>54472963
>so what's the deal with druids only having 2 wild shapes until lvl 20? I would say AT LEAST as many as they have cantrips, which is hardly an improvement. alternatively i would let them burn spell slots to get extra wild shapes.
This is quite literally the dumbest thing I've heard all day
Trying to make moon druid even worse by giving them more wildshapes than they can ever even try to use in a combat.
>>
>>54472811

It's a bit apples to oranges because the 600 pounds isn't just picking something up and putting it down immediately, but lifting it indefinitely.
>>
>>54472997

Holy shit. Then 600lbs IS pretty ridiculous. I love it.
>>
>>54472972
You could have both scale, neither scale, or one could scale and not the other. It just depends on what kind of asshole your DM is. You shouldn't be so retarded that I have to spell this out.
>>
>>54472759
There is several.
>>
>>54471322
I'm in the same boat as this guy >>54471354
Minus the friends being interested in the hobby. Sure, they will play, but rarely will they actually commit to a campaign, letting it die off after a few weeks or a few months.

Adventurer's league was a god-send for me. I found my current group advertising on the local Adventurer's League facebook page for a campaign they were starting, went to the local game shop they were hosting at, and now we have finished two campaigns, are in the middle of a third one, and easily have our eyes on the next one to come. I could not imagine what my life would be like without Adventurer's League right now.
>>
>>54473060
>discussing balance for a racial ability in a standard game
>WELL IF YOU JUST DON'T HAVE A SHIT DM YOU'LL BE FINE
>thinks that somehow makes it better

Do I have to spell this out for you? DM fiat is not the case we're discussing. By that thought, we shouldn't have to worry about the PHB Ranger either since the DM will just give some mcguffin scaled to the point of ridiculous. Every issue of balance is a by-the-book take.
>>
>>54472868
>On Magic Jar, is your HP and hit dice not a class feature? Do you use your hp or the body's?
Magic Jar replaces your statistics with the statistics of the creature, but makes three explicit exceptions: your alignment, your Int/Wis/Cha scores, and your class features. Your HP and Hit Dice are explicitly a class feature, and are thus an exception. You use your own HP and Hit Dice.
>WTF can a simulacrum really do? Does it know all the original's secrets? Does it act on its own or only act with specific orders?
It knows everything. It does exactly what you tell it to do, which can include giving it guidelines on how to act on its own.
>Why is wish so broken?
It's not, at all.
>What's an attack?
Anything that a) requires an attack roll or b) is explicitly called an attack by a game rule (grappling and shoving are two examples).
>Are there seriously a whole bunch of things you can use to hurt people without ending invisibility or sanctuary?
Seriously.
>>
>>54472911
The DC to lift something heavier than 600 lbs would be different for different characters you STUPID NIGGER.

>Barbarian tries to lift 601 lbs
>This is one pound heavier than their base capacity
>DC 10 or so- a bit of a challenge, enough to warrant a roll, but not signifigant

>Fighter with a max lift of 300 tries to lift 601 lbs
>This is twice their normal lift weight, as such the DC is rather high- 20 to 25

>The pasty bitch Wizard tries to lift it
>There is no DC because they will fail 100% of the time, unless thry do something like cast Enlarge to make it possible
>>
>>54472911
See >>54472997
Keep making the DCs based on p238 of the DMG, ie DC 20 is a hard task, DC 15 is a moderately difficult task, DC 25 is a very hard task, etc.
Have the players roll to different difficulties because some are naturally better at certain checks than others.
Have you thought about not being a fucking autist?
>>
>>54472911
>What DC do you set? Anything less than 20, and the wizard can potentially do it too. anything more than 20 is going to feel wrong since it's only one pound different than what he can lift without trying. If you set it as 21 he could fail by rolling a 7. Is one pound really that different?
And 602 pounds is only one more pound than that, so it's only fair to make that doable too. And 603 pounds is only one more than that, and 604 pounds is only one more than that, and 605 pounds is only one more than that, so they should all be fair game. The line has to be drawn somewhere.

Incidentally, check out the Automatic Success variant in the DMG.

>>54473227
No, that's stupid and you're stupid. A task is not itself inherently harder or easier because a different person is attempting it. What matters is the person's ability, and nothing more.
>>
>>54473257
A task is more or less difficult for that character based on their ability, ie making different characters check to different DCs.
>>
>>54473257
>A task is not itself inherently harder or easier because a different person is attempting it.
It absolutely fucking is.

Here's the simplest mundane example-
>6'5 man goes to reach something on the top shelf
>this is incredibly easy
>4'2 Dwarf tries to get something off the same shelf
>The man does not make a check, or makes one trivially easy
>The dwarf would have to exert themselves to do so, and as such would have to jump or find a ladder or stool
>>
File: 1497481085646.jpg (60KB, 716x832px) Image search: [Google]
1497481085646.jpg
60KB, 716x832px
Will giving martials a free weapon-based feat/bonus pertaining to their "favored weapon" unbalance anything if I remove the +1 bonus from it?

>Scimitar/Longsword/Greatsword/Etc can enter a parrying stance with their reaction for +1 AC, or have advantage on Opportunity Attacks made with the weapon
>Club can smash prone opponents for critical damage
>>
>>54473016
>This is quite literally the dumbest thing I've heard all day
4chan
>Trying to make moon druid even worse by giving them more wildshapes than they can ever even try to use in a combat.
what exactly is so broken about turning into a couple of shitty animals at the cost of most of your skills and spells, a shitty AC, and being forced into melee. the cantrip thing would give you 1 extra wild shape at 4th and 10th level. are you suggesting that it's fair for a wild shape based archetype to only be able to wild shape for two encounters? I get that you're supposed to be able to short rest every 2-3 encounters but one extra encounter before you start playing a different character for a fight is not broken /at all/,
>>
File: 1469385393414.jpg (114KB, 500x750px) Image search: [Google]
1469385393414.jpg
114KB, 500x750px
>>54473140
>Check out AL.
>Looks great.
>Use the location finder.
>Closest place with any D&D activity is 24 miles away.
>>
>>54473257
>And 602 pounds is only one more pound than that, so it's only fair to make that doable too. And 603 pounds is only one more than that, and 604 pounds is only one more than that, and 605 pounds is only one more than that, so they should all be fair game. The line has to be drawn somewhere.

I wasn't saying 601 should be done without a roll though. I was saying making 600 auto-success and 601 a 35% or more chance of failure seems like too big of a jump for one pound.

>check out the Automatic Success variant in the DMG.

Ok I will.

>>54473289

At that point why even have skill bonuses? Just give everyone custom DCs to represent how easy it is or them. Why have both?

>>54473304

Not analogous at all since they're doing two separate things. The dwarf is having to jump a foot or two and the human isn't. Regardless the dwarf shouldn't have to make a check to jump two feet unless his strength is mega low, like 6 or something.
>>
>>54473143
By the book, a longsword does 1d8 the whole game and lizardfolk's bite does 1d6 the whole game.
>>
>>54473368
>a longsword of semantics does 1d8 the whole game
>I'm just going to ignore the point
>s-semantics
>gottem

By the book, a longsword does 1d8 or 1d10.
>>
>>54473340
Thats pretty shitty. Sorry to hear that. I'm not sure what the location finder is, but maybe try looking up your local area or a close by larger town or city up on Facebook. Something along the lines of "D&D adventurer's League -town name here-". It is possible that your area doesn't have enough people to really appear on any location finder application. If you have already tried that and it failed, I will pray for you.
>>
>>54473344
Because they're still checking to see if they succeed on tasks, it's just it's more or less difficult based on ability scores, the class and skills invested. Having some classes autosucceed at certain things is good also.

Check out p238 and p239 of the DMG.
>>
>>54473421
>>54473368
>>54473143

different anon here, I think the temp HP maxing out at 5 if you have 20 CON and never going beyond that is more pathetic than the bite. regular bite is equivalent to a non magic shortsword you can use with both hands occupied or while disarmed or even while grappling and holding a shield like some other anon pointed out. That 5 temp HP falls off so hard so fast though.
>>
>>54473202
What's the DC to distinguish between a simulacrum and the original?
>>
>>54473421
By the book a Lizardman can take Tavern Brawler and have the equivalent of dual wielding weapons with the TWF style on any class.
>>
>>54473481
>and have the equivalent of dual wielding weapons with the TWF style on any class.

what
>>
File: 1480372436209.jpg (47KB, 430x318px) Image search: [Google]
1480372436209.jpg
47KB, 430x318px
>>54473433
I tried that just now, only found a single Adv League FB page in the entirety of the UK
Looks like I'm shit outta luck.
That or I'm blind. I suspect it's the former though.
>>
>>54473257
I guess DC would be function of what are you trying to pick over your lift limit, not the actual weight itself.
>>
>>54473481
What >>54473508 said

>feat
>sitting on a 15 strength until level 8
>somehow equivalent to just being something else with TWF
>>
>>54472963
>Azathoth's active.
It's a combination of Darkness and Devil's Sight on a success.
>>
>>54473508
A shortsword does 1d6+STR.
An offhand shortsword does 1d6.
An offhand shortsword with twf does 1d6+STR.
A lizardman bite does 1d6+STR.
A lizardman can bite again as a bonus action with Tavern Brawler, doing an additional 1d6+STR.
>>
>>54473305
Semi-bumping the question.
>>
>>54473458
Yeah, but Stone's Endurance is always 1d12+Con. That's just normal for racial traits.
>>
>>54473458
You're correct. However, by just the base, it's weak. Being handless for with a bite attack raises several questions:

>if you're melee, why not just use a weapon with a bigger die?
>if you're a caster, why are you in melee?
>>
>>54473557
>A lizardman can bite again as a bonus action with Tavern Brawler

w-what

A lizardman can bite again with Hungry Jaws once per short rest, or bite and grapple with tavern brawler
>>
>>54473545
Did you forget Tavern Brawler gives 1 STR you dumb nigger
>>
>>54473581
The only answer is shield + grapple. Describe your shield as a dinner plate.
>>
>>54473583
After looking it up it would appear that you don't get the bonus action unarmed strike. I guess that must be a houserule my group has used for so long I forgot it was a houserule.

GUESS IM THE DUMB NIGGER AFTER ALL.
>>
>>54473596
I did.; my apologies. However, basic arithmetic still applies (20 STR > 16).

>>54473609
Better yet:

>be lizardfolk monk
>attack
>use bite
>flurry
>use two bites
>eat your opponent alive
>>
>>54473581
>>if you're melee, why not just use a weapon with a bigger die?

someone already mentioned grappling with a shield and biting, but there could be a lot of reasons depending on your campaign. You could be captured and disarmed. One time I was playing a lizardman who broke his dominant hand so I went around biting until it was healed.

>if you're a caster, why are you in melee?

Enemies never reach the casters in your games? Must be nice
>>
>>54473519
You are probably right. The closest one to you I could find from a general search was in Brussels, France.

I wish you luck in finding a home closer to a D&D hotspot. Maybe, if the fates smile upon you just once, a convention will swing by close enough to where you live and you could catch some D&D action there.
>>
>>54473619
If you're a monk, you do. But, otherwise, no.
>>
>>54473640
Being without your weapon is far too specific. Combat is not balanced around not having items.

As for enemies reaching the casters, it's not a "never happens" but a "why are you doing this?" issue. If your caster instinct is to try and bite a nearby enemy, you're probably playing the wrong class.
>>
>>54471883
Audiobook or regular book
Or the Dungeons and Dragons movie with Jeremy Irons
>>
>>54470138
Be orc barbarian.
Be simple, life is good.
Get adventuring friends, friends are good.
They laugh at you for being not smart.
You laugh along too, but it not feel good.
You not want to be not smart, you want friends to like you, respect you for you, not for smash.
See them looking at square squibblies, they call it reading.
Laugh at you for not reading, feels bad man.
Find book, this your chance, learn to read, read book, friends like you again, not stupid.
Monk friend takes it from me, is okay to share.
He takes it from me and does not give it back, but this one chance to get read smart.
No monk, book is mine to read.
He say no, take book, laugh at me for stupid.
Doesn't even keep book, gives it to other friends at house.
Gronk never learn read, friends always laugh. Sad times. Always sad. Hope gone.
>>
Why are 7 elephants cheaper than plate armor?
>>
File: comic_lotr9c.jpg (133KB, 600x767px) Image search: [Google]
comic_lotr9c.jpg
133KB, 600x767px
>>54471883
>Critical Role
Is it any good? I've literally never listened to a single podcast DnD or otherwise in my entire life
>>
>>54473748
>>
>>54473748

Because plate is the latest fashion, and elephants are from last season?
>>
File: D100.png (246KB, 1194x2176px) Image search: [Google]
D100.png
246KB, 1194x2176px
>>54471948
>>54472025
Clean the soil anon. Earn goodwill and faith to cleanse the fields after that bandit/dragon/bugbear/orcs/orks/roll D100 attack
>>54472143
The AC thing doesn't go as far as I like and doesn't stack with Barbarian's so... But I plan to make a Champion archer Lizardfolk tribal man one of these days
>>
File: 1376716548247.png (61KB, 894x983px) Image search: [Google]
1376716548247.png
61KB, 894x983px
>>54472579
>Critical Roles and Fails only apply for attack rolls, that's it.
probably my biggest DnD trigger when it comes to casuals
I'm all for the jokes themselves though at the table some of my heartiest laughs are from failed perception rolls
>>
File: 1481871077906.png (71KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
1481871077906.png
71KB, 900x900px
>>54473641
Gave it one last shot, only other places seemed to be far far up north, not a chance in hell of being able to attend.
I appreciate that you tried anyway, friendo.
>>
>>54471883
how does /tg/ feel about The Lost Initiative podcast?
>>
>>54473748
I think ideally plate is custom fitted per person so basically There is no elephant union but there are for blacksmiths
>>
File: 1495063052339.png (2MB, 1238x1631px) Image search: [Google]
1495063052339.png
2MB, 1238x1631px
>>54473814
No problem at all buddy. I'm always glad to try and help when I can.
>>
File: elric2.jpg (98KB, 930x810px) Image search: [Google]
elric2.jpg
98KB, 930x810px
Is barbarian/ranger lizardman retarded?
>>
>>54473891
I think its neat for a tribal angel
Keep in my though that Barbarian's unarmored and the Lizardman AC thing are mutually exclusive
>>
File: no awoo.jpg (132KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
no awoo.jpg
132KB, 1024x1024px
I'm bored and my game was cancelled this evening. Post your most recent interesting, funny, or bullshit stories.
>>
Do Feral Tieflings' winged flight suffer from the same penalties as Aarakocras'?
>>
>>54473257
God, you are the worst fucking poster ever. You don't even believe the shit you're saying, you just wanna get in arguments.
>>
how well received is Volo's guide?
>>
File: ss+(2017-05-15+at+12.22.32).png (78KB, 171x178px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2017-05-15+at+12.22.32).png
78KB, 171x178px
What's your favorite class and why is it the artificer??
>>
>>54474012
Very.
>>
File: american-psycho-bateman.jpg (62KB, 600x327px) Image search: [Google]
american-psycho-bateman.jpg
62KB, 600x327px
>>54474022
Or the Mystic
>>
File: skill tree.png (339KB, 619x391px) Image search: [Google]
skill tree.png
339KB, 619x391px
Is this too much MMO?
>>
>>54474070
what even is this?
>>
>>54474012
I really wish I picked up the deluxe version
>>
>>54469365
>>54469726
Anything?
>>
If you could add any skills to 5e what would they be?
>>
>>54474198
i'd love players with social skills
>>
>>54474198
I don't maybe appraisal
>>
>>54474158

What's special about the deluxe version?
>>
>>54474070
This just seems lazy.

If it's a berserker type keep the armor low and give them higher HP. There is no reason to artificially increase AC on unarmored character. If it's a "monk" type just give them something more flavorful like an additional deflection roll chance to ignore hits.

Just giving "Unarmored defense" and better AC is lazy, shit, non-thematic, and bad mechanically
>>
>>54474266
Looked really neat
>>
>>54466769
we in the 5eg discord have added a religion channel to talk about your beliefs it is mostly homu and c0re posting traps (totally gay) but some muslims post there too
>>
>>54474305
link to discord?
>>
>>54474022
Sorcerer
>>
If you had to have one stat that's a 1, which stat would it be? Str?
>>
>>54474463
>weaker than a rat
>>
>>54474054
Playing a mystic with 10 int and no repercussions for it at the moment, what a stupid class. I'm a better wrestler than I would be in any other class
>>
>>54474012
It's got some spotty content in it, like the Kobold and Yuan-ti Pureblood races. But people are very satisfied with it generally.
>>
>>54474327
Here you go, anon. https://discord.me/5eg
>>
File: Double Pay, Earn.jpg (145KB, 743x668px) Image search: [Google]
Double Pay, Earn.jpg
145KB, 743x668px
>>54474070
Real talk, that game was and remains ass (and dead) but Barbarian had the coolest fucking skills.
>>
>>54474463
int
>>
>>54474022
The artificer isn't even balanced. Like it's literally not balanced.
No-one performed the action of balancing it; it's just got numbers pulled from a hat, and if you put its kits' DPR and shit into an excel sheet and compare it to other classes, it's a joke - except the punchline is you wasted more time on it than the UA folks did when they made the thing.
>>
>>54474463
A wizard could manage with 1str. A moon druid could manage with 1str by wild shape.
A comedy character would work well with 1 dex for slipping up on everything.

1 cha works well on a robot that doesn't need any personality at all or communication but just to take in and process information before doing something.
1 int would work well for someone with such a high wisdom they don't need to remember what anything is, they just go with the flow.
>>
File: 1487699470576.jpg (36KB, 600x583px) Image search: [Google]
1487699470576.jpg
36KB, 600x583px
One of my players is playing an artificer but he wants to play it in the way the official material doesn't allow him to. Its a fun idea and I want to let him do it but I just don't know how.

>Hes an undead goblin revenant
>He wants to be able to strap a bomb to himself and suicide bomb as a once-a day power and basically exploit his effective immortality to do death-defying things for shits and giggles

How and what class would I have him use for this? Is there any third party material that can help him in this?
>>
>>54474606
dumber than a dog? bacteria level intellegence?
>>
>>54474246
Are you seriously implying that, in a game where magic item "shops" are repeatedly stated to not generally exist, a skill like that would be worth selecting over any of the others?
>>
>>54474641
Also on the topic of the artificer, what book (third party or otherwise) has the best rules for crafting?
>>
>>54474641
artificer already has bomb throwing and stuff, just increase the damage and make him take equal damage to whatever he deals.
>>
>>54474624
balance isnt a thing.
>>
>>54474022

Probably cleric. Forge Cleric is like artificer but cooler
>>
>>54474463
CHA for a robot
STR for a wheelchair psyion or caster
>>
File: sadimirpoutin.png (336KB, 500x675px) Image search: [Google]
sadimirpoutin.png
336KB, 500x675px
>>54474463

CHA because that wouldn't change anything
>>
>>54474022
I'm a big fan of sorcerers, though I wish they had a little more ability to twist magic like we saw briefly in the Wizard UA for loremaster or whatever it was. Subtle spell is my shit though
>>
>>54474659
you can appraise things other than magic items you know

also a skill being worth picking over another has no bearing on whether it should be included because knowledge skills exist and they're all bottom tier along with most of the tool proficiencies.
>>
>>54474659
Appraisal isn't just magic
It's gems, art, artifacts, and all sorts of goodies you can find
>>
>>54474463
Con wouldn't give you many problems except being sick often I would think
>>
>>54474659
I like appraisal.
give it to dwarves and gnomes.
useful for estimating value of treasure or when haggling.

Gave them Scales as a tool.

but i run a game where I had to make classes for Merchants and Scholars.
>>
>>54474714
>Step on a nail
>Die
>>
File: 5c1.png (146KB, 677x315px) Image search: [Google]
5c1.png
146KB, 677x315px
>>54474641
>Take broken subrace and stick it on a goblin of all things and combine with a UA class
>Abuse the broken subrace to hell and back
>>
>>54474670
>artificer already has bomb throwing and stuff, just increase the damage and make him take equal damage to whatever he deals.

Yeah but HOW MUCH should I increase the damage?
>>
>>54474719
Hell I was just reading about a Fighter/Thief multiclass called Trader in The Complete Book of Dwarves
>>
>>54474735
>>
>>54474723
Every class has at least 6 hp, and you just won't get any bonuses to hp as you level up same as if you had 10. It's not as though you'd lose 4 hp every level up
>>
>>54474714
tell that to all the people with AIDS
>>
>>54474733
Its not really so much him abusing the subrace so much as it is I don't know how to run it.
>>
>>54474753
Yeah but you can live with it, harder to live with 1 int
>>
>>54474740
my homebrew classes are Scholar, Merchant, Explorer, Noble, and Artisan.
I like low fantasy.
>>
>>54474774
Noble is a background though
>>
>>54474671
Sure lil' buddy, sure.
>>
>>54474742
>20d6 at level 10
kek ok, lets do it
>>
>>54473583
>>54473619
It would seem that with the dual wielder feat you can use unarmed strikes as bonus action attacks assuming
1)You have proficiency with simple weapons
2)Your DM considers your mouth as a hand for attacks
>>
>>54474733
hey if he's having fun who's to judge?
>>54474735
if i were homeruling on the fly i'd just say 2x damage. since you're allowing UA, especially revenant UA, balance is the least of your worries.
>>
>>54474703
Knowledge skills are fucking excellent unless your DM is shit, or you don't know how to use them.

Except Medicine.
>>
>>54474801
>if i were homeruling on the fly i'd just say 2x damage. since you're allowing UA, especially revenant UA, balance is the least of your worries.
Haha I'm probably going to make him non-undead later though.
>>
>>54474790
Who cares
There's lots of backgrounds and npc classes are always just general like that
>>
>>54474790
backgrounds are trash hacky addons.
>>
>>54474818
give him some radiant superbomb that he can suicide with to kill the bbeg and it's implied to possibly kill him beyond the point of no return but he comes back either from the radiant energy having the reverse effect (turning him back into living) or have a god pity him and for his sacrifice, resurrect him living again.
>>
>>54474830
While they could be better, they're still the best addition to default character creation rules 5e added.
>>
>>54474748
A wizard with 1 CON would have 2 HP at level 1 and gain 1 HP per level.
>>
>>54474830
5e backgrounds are sweet as hell.
>>
>>54474463
CON, getting hit is for pussies
>>
>>54474848
The only place I've ever seen DM's use them is the internet. I use generic 'pick a skill and some other bullshit' options.

Backgrounds, Ideals, Bonds, complete and utter trash
>>
>>54474875
I've only seen who don't use backgrounds on the Internet. Specifically here, right now, just you.
>>
>>54474463
Dex, fuck it all and just wear plate mail, and get the shield master feat to help counteract the penalty to your dex saves.
>>
File: suddenly tricaratops.png (3MB, 1225x1585px) Image search: [Google]
suddenly tricaratops.png
3MB, 1225x1585px
>>54474830
They're really good for making players think about their background and traits whom otherwise wouldn't
other players do this anyway and may even find it restricting but whatever thats why I mix and match the Ideals/Flaws stuff from other backgrounds
>>
>>54474875
how are they trash?
>>
>>54474875
you are literally the first person I have ever heard of to not use backgrounds.
>>
>>54474875
>>54474830
Backgrounds are pretty good, stop being severely autistic.
>>
File: Nystul vs Identify.png (185KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
Nystul vs Identify.png
185KB, 800x600px
Does Identify reveal Nystul is in effect, or not?

I think it does, and it does identify true abilities of the basic item since it does reveal magical effect - which Nystul is.

It kinda bothers me, because it make Nystul feel bit redundant, when lower-level spell can bypass it.
>>
>>54474875
Star Wars RPGs from FFG have a neat way to handle background-type "Obligations" that have a chance of influencing character actions for the session.
>>
>>54474852
No you start with your full hitdice, you don't add negative hp
>>
>>54474830
>>54474875
I'm sorry is this a retard contest, becuase you're trying to win one.
>>
>>54474929
>so that divination reveals false information
>identify is divination magic
HMMMMM....
>>
>>54474928
>>54474923
>>54474922
>>54474921

I give up.

Backgrounds are great.
>>
>>54474022
Rogue. I like the utility, but i somewhat prefer non-magical characters.
>>
Would you be fine with giving fighters an extra skill proficiency? Starting with 2+background seems very low
>>
>>54474951
>I give up.
alternatively, you could have, i don't know, listed ANY reason whatsoever for your particular stance against backgrounds?
>>
New thread

>>54474971
>>54474971
>>54474971
>>54474971
>>
>>54474951
You never gave a reason why they were trashy crap apart from acting like a whiny autist.
>>
>>54474946
Incorrect.

>At 1st level, your character has 1 Hit Die, and the die type is determined by your class. You start with hit points equal to the highest roll of that die, as indicated in your class description. (You also add your Constitution modifier, which you’ll determine in step 3.)

[From step 3]
>(...) Bob fills in Bruenor’s final hit points: 10 + his Constitution modifier of +3, for a total of 13 hit points.
>>
>>54474951
was actually kinda interested in hear what you had to say about backgrounds but i guess you're just going to take the sperg approach instead.
>>
>>54474930
I feel that makes most since with Edge of the Empire since they have actual debts, bounties, and addictions built in
>>
File: Hypatia.jpg (183KB, 1280x854px) Image search: [Google]
Hypatia.jpg
183KB, 1280x854px
>>54474973
Only Fighters, or all martials? What is your reasoning for it?

Obviously, as someone who likes fighters, i would be fine with that, but what make you think it's necessary? They also have access to relatively good skill list, compared to wizards - Athletics, Insight, Perception, Survival... Each of which seems much more useful than most Int skills put together.

Pic unrelated.
>>
>>54474973
i don't think you'd be breaking anything, but i don't feel like fighter needs any extra skills since their list of existing skills is already very useful.
>>
>>54474950
Yea, but it's the part that says what the spells do in general - only then it proceeds to describe its particular mechanical interactions. And the detailed description mention nothing to strongly confirm that Identify is misdirected as well. Whereas the Identify WILL allow you to "learn whether any spells are affecting the item".
>>
>>54474973
Fighters seem to be missing about a skill proficiency worth of utility in my opinion.
(unless you count UA kits like Monster Hunter that go out of their way to add this extra utility within the kit itself.)

Honestly I'd gladly give all Fighters their choice of Athletics or Acrobatics, in addition to their other skills.
>>
>>54475230
If you feel like it, go for it, i don't think it will break the game more than anything wizards are going to release.
>>
>>54475019
Nowhere in there does it say you add negative modifiers
>>
>>54475742
Does your brain not function? You add your modifier. That includes negative ones, by very definition.
>>
>>54476179
There's a spot in the PHB where it says you do not add negative modifiers to some things and I would imagine hp to be one of them, lest you roll a 1 with your -4 con mod and lose three hp upon level up.
>>
>>54474714
>1 con wizard.
>Start with 1 hp.
>Die at level 2.
>>
>>54474748
>>54476261
There's no official minimum hp when
leveling.
>>
>>54476384
Rules as Written perhaps but it should be obvious enough that there is a minimum in the rules as intended. Since it is unlikely to be intended for you to roll hp, and it be possible to even with a reasonable con score like 7 kill yourself if you roll a 1 a few levels in a row
>>
>>54476456
But it's funnier this way.
>>
I rolled 2 times sixes on 3d20 for stats as halfling rogue. GMs nervous laugh shown that he doesnt like satan helping me. Wat do
Thread posts: 390
Thread images: 51

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.