[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Board Game General /bgg/ - Moderate statements edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 310
Thread images: 52

File: 1495278724116.jpg (1000KB, 1440x1622px) Image search: [Google]
1495278724116.jpg
1000KB, 1440x1622px
Last thread:
>>54366077
Pastebin:
>http://pastebin.com/NA2W929q

Enough of the poo flinging, what middle of the road opinions do you have on games? Is there one out there that you groan when it hits the table but appreciate that it's still a good design? A game loaded with plastic when all you want it blocks but hey those minis look nice? Theme is overdone/pasted on/paper thin, but the execution is so nice you don't care? Can STEEV ever find the co-op that gives a good challenging puzzle while allowing his friends to stab each other at the table?
>>
Dominion is my answer for this just like last thread. I personally hate to play it and will turn it down, but I respect it mechanically for making deck building and being solid if you're ok with mostly solitaire.
Hopefully that doesn't bring the literal autist from last thread back.
>>
>>54432722
I can appreciate Euros being well-designed in general, but they're also generally completely lacking in tension and I don't care too much about games that revolve around optimisation engines
>>
>>54432722
>>54433129
>>54433200
Mine's Ticket to Ride. I can play it if I have to and I admit that it's a solid game but I still hate it
>>
Tips for Eldritch Horror? 2-4 player Azathoth scenario, since we want to get that down before we move onto the harder stuff.

We've got most of the basic stuff down, but the Mystery that needs you to close specific monster gates when they align with specific omens keeps fucking us over. It's easy enough to solve research encounters or get someone to Tunguska, but even if you get someone with a clue on top of a portal corresponding with the current omen and clear all the monsters on top of it, there's no garuntee that you'll actually succeed the encounter to close it. And if that fails, you're either scrambling to get to another portal when the omen tracker ticks the next round or you're waiting for the omen tracker to tick back around and getting fucked by eldritch deck events.
>>
Which is the best: Chess, Shogi, or Xiang Qi?
>>
>>54433604
>Suck ass at Chess
>Suck more ass at Shogi
>Never heard of Xiang Qi but I'm sure I suck the most ass at it
>>
>>54433763
Xiang Qi is Chinese chess.
>>
File: 1469914622256.jpg (15KB, 307x462px) Image search: [Google]
1469914622256.jpg
15KB, 307x462px
>>54432722
For me, it is currently Risk and look-alikes. I don't really want to have chuggy dicewars about areas which give you a good lead. I find the constant tug-o-war annoying when it boils down to whoever gets the best dice. But I still play witz my group whenever they have a round of Risk or Axis n Allies. Guess I'm not a huge fan of terretory control overall and more of a deckbuilder & euro-type. But I like to be proven wrong, so hit me up with some suggestions for terretory control games.
>>
>>54433604
Xiang Qi or Wei qi

Chess is too simple, and doesn't represent a strategic battlespace as well as Wei qi does
>>
File: 51bytuAcd0L.jpg (60KB, 500x406px) Image search: [Google]
51bytuAcd0L.jpg
60KB, 500x406px
>>54432722
It's $15 on Amazon down from $50 and it seems to be a pretty good game, may be worth looking at.
>>
>>54433966
Sons of Anarchy board game, I mean.
>>
File: marco polo expansion.jpg (811KB, 1800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
marco polo expansion.jpg
811KB, 1800x1200px
The hype is fucking real!
>>
>>54433966
It definitely is, and funny enough I've never seen it listed over $15-20 since the Gencon when GF9 released it. I think it landed with so little attention they're still just trying to unload the initial printing
>>
File: IMG_1926.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1926.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
I got a box /bgg/. Wanna see what's inside?
>>
>>54433129

Dominion's high on my list. So's Catan -- I appreciate a game that suckers normies, design is simple and elegant, but I fucking loathe a game where I can lose in 20 minutes and play for 2 1/2 hours.
>>
>>54434234
Show and tell time anon
>>
File: IMG_1927.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1927.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>54434234
>>54434402
It's travelled a long way to get here...
>>
>>54434433
How long we talking?
>>
File: IMG_1928.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1928.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>54434433
>>54434514
All the way from Poland.

Really excited for this one. I love Robinson Crusoe, and this looks like more and better.
>>
>>54434898
Is it Munchkin?
>>
>>54434968
>Box says First Martians
>Asks if it's Munchkin
Come on man...
>>
>>54434968
'First Munchkin' the game of how a bunch of min-max'ing tools ruined Mars...
>>
>>54435023
Oh I thought the box says First Munchkins.
>>
>>54435077
Far enough, happens to the best of us :)
>>
>>54434898
Is it Terraforming Mars?
>>
>>54434898
Is it Martian Fluxx?
>>
>>54435244
No, it's Mars Attacks.
>>
>>54434898
Is it My Favorite Martian?
>>
>>54435283
I actually enjoy pulling this game out when I need an easy night of gaming
>>
>>54435356
The minis game or the dice game?
>>
>>54433966
I'm really hesitant when it comes to cheap board games on Amazon. I've been burned twice now with knockoff garbage.
>>
>>54435536
Its seller has a 99% approval from 1641 ratings in the past year, and it's fulfilled by Amazon.
Not trying to shill.
>>
Gloomhaven is currently $140 on Amazon... Should I buy or wait until its cheaper? Is it out of print?
>>
>>54435791
Hype monster, just wait til the next print run
>>
>>54433896
I know I say it almost every thread, but Kemet and Rex.
>>
>>54435791
that's a preorder, if you notice it says it will be released in August. But according to the designer that's an unrealistic estimate on Amazon's part.

there won't be any new stock until the fall.
>>
>>54433966
I care very little for the subject matter and the publisher but I have to admit this game has a lot going for it and my session with it was a pleasant surprise. Definitely worth 15
>>
File: IMG_0011.jpg (451KB, 1406x1920px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0011.jpg
451KB, 1406x1920px
>>54435412
Dice game. I'm too far down the x wing hole to play another minis game
>>
>>54433200
> also generally completely lacking in tension
They're not. You just don't know what you're doing and so you need an ""edgy"" theme to hold your hand and give you prompts for emotional reactions.
>>
>>54433604
Chess. It had more iterations of rules and balance fixes.

>>54433921
>and doesn't represent a strategic battlespace as well as Wei qi does
Go is just 2D tic-tac-toe. An amazing game in its emergent complexity from simple rules, but nothing interesting strategically.
>>
>>54438005
I had no idea that train games (I'm not talking about placing rectangular blocks along predetermined routes) and economic games are '''edgy''', you certainly got me there friend!

though I guess you could argue that the theme of An Infamous Traffic and Imperial are '''edgy''', to which point I can't disagree with you there
>>
>>54436751

At this point X-wing is a dice game, not a minis game.
>>
>>54438712
I'm trying to say that 'tension' is something that comes from playing with the right group, not something that comes from game theme or game mechanics. (If you don't understand this then you're officially autism spectrum.)
>>
>>54438755
I completely agree with you that the right group can make a game tense, but without the mechanics to support it then it becomes a very obvious decision making process that isn't mentally stimulating or worth repeated plays as it doesn't allow for any discernible growth in player skill. you can artificially increase the replay value of the game (like card drafting in Notre Dame or the building tiles in Stone Age) but the same patterns will consistently emerge like the time-proven cop-out of maintaining some upkeep value that never changes between games, and it just ends up being a racing game or optimising game that is adorned with art that came out of a children's book

I sure as hell wouldn't not want to waste money on games that are that painfully shallow like I already have with 7 Wonders, but that shallowness does have one good use in that they're ideal for playing with random people at public board game nights while enjoying equally shallow conversations, rather than talking about something more interesting like game design
>>
File: adorable_001.jpg (3KB, 102x126px) Image search: [Google]
adorable_001.jpg
3KB, 102x126px
A cat keeps coming into my house and knocks my boardgames off the table.

Is it trying to tell me what I think it's trying to tell me?
>>
File: kanata_006_haters_gonna_hate.jpg (2MB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
kanata_006_haters_gonna_hate.jpg
2MB, 640x640px
Fuck figures. Give me CUBES.

CUUUUUUUBES.
>>
>>54439173
I've used this example before and imma use it again, even though you all will chimp out and call me names again: nobody claims that track and field doesn't have 'tension' despite the fact that Usain Bolt isn't allowed to kick the runner-up in the nuts.

Even in a pure racing game, neurotypicals will automatically form complex psychological metagames without any prompting from game mechanics. Now if you sit autists before a racing game, you're liable to get four dudes who stare at their tableau in silence for an hour. This isn't the fault of the game, it's a problem with autists who can't into naturally emergent human interaction. If you're playing with autists you'll need heavy-handed prompting to force them to interact.

As for your ""idea"" that optimization engines don't have replayability -- sorry bub, you're pants-on-head retarded. Optimization games are specifically designed for infinite replayability and high skill ceilings. (But again, you have to be able to into metagames to unlock this. If you're autism spectrum then you should stick to games with pictures of zombies punching Cthullhu in the nuts or whatever, even if they're as shallow as monopoly strategy-wise.)
>>
>>54439892
metagaming can only be as strong as the game allows it to be, which with engine builders is hilariously low as the decision making is generally binary at best with little impact on other players. even a gateway economic game like Chicago Express has a far greater skill ceiling than what Agricola will ever be capable of providing, as the butterfly effect is far more prevalent without any rubber banding present to compensate for making the worst decision out of several (including doing something over doing a null action in Chicago Express as a more specific example)

it's cute that you're escalating your name calling and ad hominem, are you sure you're not getting rattled by having such a poor argument to stand on? :^)

>>54439886
absolutely nothing wrong with cubes, they leave a lot to the imagination of the player which I will happily take over cards with artwork depicting specific events
>>
>>54433966
out of print now too, ordered mine yesterday
>>
>>54440334
>metagaming can only be as strong as the game allows it to be
No, only an autist would ever think this. Track and field is the sport with the strongest/most interesting metagame, despite being entirely solitaire and having the simplest rules.

> as the butterfly effect is far more prevalent without any rubber banding present to compensate for making the worst decision out of several
Also bullshit, again due to autism spectrum failures. You need to realize that the point scoring mechanism is irrelevant, what matters is having more points than your opponents.

Also, you really should play Agricola with someone who knows what he's doing, it will be very educational for you.
>>
>>54440572
>Track and field is the sport with the strongest/most interesting metagame
How.
Like, honestly, how.
>>
>>54440623
Do you really not know anybody's who's into track and field? There's a reason why Bolt is one of the most famous sports celebrities ever. There's also good reason why the biggest metagame scandals are in track and field. (That and bicycle racing.)

(It's true through that in recent decades it feels like the sport is 'solved' and it ultimately comes down to just genetics. We'll see if something changes this vibe in the future.)
>>
>>54440653
>There's also good reason why the biggest metagame scandals are in track and field.
Wait, you just mean doping?
>>
>>54441308
No, not just that. There's lots of interesting intersections between psychology, genetics and human biology in track. (E.g., almost everybody's heard of the Ethiopian dude who won the Olympic marathon running barefoot, or the way Jamaica dominates short-distance running for no apparent reason, etc.)

Anyways I don't even like track, it's just a characteristic example.
>>
>>54440653
>literally who
>most famous sports celeb

Haha, no. Actual people give a shit about track and field once every four years, when the Olympics are on, if that. The rest of the time it's... take your pick based on country and inclination of Soccer/Football (Most of the world), Hockey (Canada), American Football (Burgers, of course), Basketball (other burgers), Baseball (Burgers, Japan, and some outlying territories), or Golf (wealthy and/or pretentious folk in places Britain has ruled at one time or another).

Of those, only Golf falls into your precious racing dynamic. The rest, sports that most of the world ("nerotypicals" as I believe you'd call them) dives into have both a metagame (often a labyrinthine and engaging one) and formats that can be best described as conflict-based: entities both act and react and actions don't always go unchallenged.

You seem to have mistaken autists who actually get into scientific study of Track and Field stats for normal people. It's an honest mistake, we all like to think we're the normal one because we are central to our own experiences, but the evidence doesn't bear that out.
>>
>>54442129
Usain Bolt isn't Shaq but I wouldn't call him a literally who.
>>
>>54433966
how does Sons of Anarchy compare to the new Godfather: Corleones Empire?
>>
>>54442129
I said 'sports celebrities', not 'sports'. There are few globally famous sports celebrities from team sports. (Aside from some Latin American soccer players.)

That's because the metagame for team sports is usually boring and boils down to planning ahead and good teamwork. (I won't mention the football hooligan riot metagame, that's its own retarded thing.)

And like I said, I don't like track, it's just a characteristic example.
>>
File: smug008.png (68KB, 201x200px) Image search: [Google]
smug008.png
68KB, 201x200px
>>54442459
Your cohesion and face had momentarily looked like they'd recovered, there's the racing fag we all know and wish would leave these threads alone.
>>
>>54442801
>we
There is no 'we' here, newfriend. Please go back to where you came from and don't come back.
>>
File: megatronlaughs.gif (564KB, 400x308px) Image search: [Google]
megatronlaughs.gif
564KB, 400x308px
>>54442847
>There is no 'we' here
You would play the thread solitaire, wouldn't you?
>>
>>54438725
With how much each ship costs I count it as both
>>
>>54439344
That your taste in games is shit? I'm teasing ;)
>>
>>54443219
No, 4chan is a deathmatch skirmish game, not a ""community"". I thought you liked conflict in your games, no?
>>
>>54443708
Now you're getting it.
>>
File: 1496248395506.jpg (91KB, 650x650px) Image search: [Google]
1496248395506.jpg
91KB, 650x650px
>>54439886
>C&C Ancients has much more interesting battles for me
>all those fucking blocks to put stickers on
Plastic wins sometimes, at least with Memoir I don't have an evening wasted trying to get the graphics centered on each unit
>>
>>54443313
If you're tourney oriented and depending on your local meta it might even be a deduction/bluff game, since planning your maneuvers can matter more than anything else if you're flying against ordinance/arc-dodgers
>>
File: top10.jpg (117KB, 668x821px) Image search: [Google]
top10.jpg
117KB, 668x821px
Thoughts?
>>
>>54444179
It went to shit right after it got invaded by ameritrash babbies. Coincidence? I think not!
>>
>>54444179
The ICv2 survey info came out the other day, game stores are seeing less sales of evergreens and more titles that come through for one or two print runs sell huge numbers, then go away. If they want longer lived games on the BGG top list all they need to do is up the dummy ranking formula so you need more votes to get above 5.5-6.5

>>54444197
>implying BGG's userbase wasn't heavy wargaming grogs for years
The userbase is changing quite a bit since the website redesign though.
>>
>>54444179
Scythe isn't terrible. It's easy to teach, looks nice, and manages to add just a dash of tension to what is otherwise a pretty average euro game.

Solid casual/gateway option.
>>
File: skip.gif (2MB, 209x213px) Image search: [Google]
skip.gif
2MB, 209x213px
>>54444409
>>
>>54444179

Havent played any of these but I like vanilla Pandemic and both Scythe & Gloomhaven look interesting to me.

Caverna too, to a lesser extent.
>>
>>54444179
I want to play Rebellion, Terra Mystica, and Scythe.
>>
>>54444179
Most of these are stupidly overpriced and get lots of free points for that.
>>
>>54445667

>implying the most overpriced isnt painted coasters the game (Skull)
>>
>>54445798
He means 'overpriced' as in 'sunk cost fallacy', where you're not gonna rate a game a 6 if you've paid $250 for it even if it's mediocre.
>>
>>54440572
>Track and field is the sport with the strongest/most interesting metagame
Fucking kek
>>
>>54444179
I recently got to play a few rounds of Twilight Struggle and I really wish it didn't use dice to resolve coups. There is nothing more frustrating than loosing most of your footing in an area to an opponent who keeps rolling 5s and 6es, while you fail every single roll.
>>
Is there something like a dungeon crawler board game?
>>
>>54439892
>you all will chimp out and call me names again
All I said last thread was that I didn't like Dominion. You're the guy calling everyone names and chimping out on massive nonsensical rants every time someone disagrees with you over a matter of opinions.
>>
>>54446131
Yo, there's more than two or three different people here.

>>54445966
You're late to the party, try again.
>>
>>54446173
I recognize that exact same rant from last thread. I highly doubt there's more than one person here arguing that track and field is the most deep interactive meta game around.
>>
>>54446353
I wasn't even replying to you but to the other autist who likes to fling poo. You're a nice and stable guy compared to him.

(I don't really like Dominion either, but not because it rustles lack of 'tism privilege, but because its stupid baseline strategy is way too strong.)
>>
>>54444179
Of those I've played Twilight Struggle, Terra Mystica, 7 Wonders Duel, and Caverna. I've also played the older version of Through the Ages, but have no idea how the new one compares.

Of these, I'm usually down for TS and TM, and I'll usually try and steer the group away from Caverna or TtA (the older one) if possible. 7WD seemed like a pretty fun game though I only played it a few times, however I didn't exactly get a top-10 worthy feel of it. Then again, that's just my rather limited impression.
>>
>>54439892
Autist pls go
>>
>>54438005
Tension has a little to do with theme, but more to do with player interaction.
>>
>>54443963
BUT THAT'S THE FUN PART
>>
>>54439344
Yes, it has declared war on you. Cats and board gamers are natural enemies, it's only natural you'd eventually have to join this endless struggle.
>>
>>54447164
We've done this before. You want to start again?

Player interaction doesn't need to be forced on you by the game rules. Most people don't need that kind of prompting. (Granted, if you're playing with creepy randos and/or 'tism spectrum peeps then a little firm guidance on how people should interact might be a good thing.)
>>
>>54447217
>fun part
>not punching the cardboard
C'mon anon, don't lie
>>
>>54447324
>We've done this before. You want to start again?
Sure I missed it the first time.

The player interaction doesn't have to be forced, but without at least some player interaction games are just "I played with my lego blocks in a corner better than you did"
>>
>>54446095
Yes. Descent is probably the best known/has the most stuff, but their are others.
>>
>>54447697
>but without at least some player interaction games are just "I played with my lego blocks in a corner better than you did"
Absolutely not, only autism spectrum disorder people do this. Normies are more like "psst let's me and you team up and make the other guy lose".
>>
File: 24354355.jpg (55KB, 1242x126px) Image search: [Google]
24354355.jpg
55KB, 1242x126px
Alright what did you assholes do? I wrote an email to GMT about perhaps trying to fund new print runs of games via Kickstarter and pic related was the response. Seriously, what did you do?
>>
>>54448046
>Normies are more like "psst let's me and you team up and make the other guy lose".
If you can team up to make a player lose, than there is player interaction.
>>
I dunno, I guess I never got into Snowdonia. I mean, I came second the last time I played it, but I don't know if I had fun. I picked up his Ivor the Engine game, but I love Ivor the Engine and it was about £12 on eBay
>>54442129
>most charismatic Olympian since Ali
>literally who
8/10, you got me to respond.
>>54444179
BGG's rating system is skewed towards the Cult of the New. Film at 11.
>>
>>54448046
>Teaming up against the other guy
>In a game without player interaction
Do you even understand what you're arguing about?
>>
File: 91rrjQcmaYL._SL1500_.jpg (334KB, 1432x1500px) Image search: [Google]
91rrjQcmaYL._SL1500_.jpg
334KB, 1432x1500px
Played 3 games of this and it seems like a morass of unrelated cludge. We had three different winners over three different games, and nobody knew why they'd won or lost. We're a reasonably well-travelled group (pooled collection of maybe 50 titles, half of us enjoy Twilight Imperium).
Is this game terrible or are we missing something fundamental?
>>
File: TSMinis-768x1024[1].jpg (79KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
TSMinis-768x1024[1].jpg
79KB, 768x1024px
>>54448303
They're salty that people complained about the fisher price toys included in the Twilight Struggle Collector's Edition instead of the metal figures initially promised.
>>
>>54448743
I'm not a fan but
>nobody knew why they'd won or lost
says a lot more about your group than it does the game. There are some games where this is the case, "control areas or achieve your dial condition" is not one of them.
>>
>>54448858
OK, perhaps I should be more specific. We tried various "early days" tactics like focusing on the cards/magic, turtling/rushing, etc. We couldn't put together why those gambits failed or succeeded specifically. Tzeench and powers seemed unstoppable first game, then came dead last the next two, and nobody knew why.
We weren't all scratching our heads at the concept of victory points or anything.
>>
>>54448046
>>54448355
Even if it's a pure racing game, people will still form cliques, give or withhold hints, apply psychological pressure, invent training regiments and form championship ladders. Come on, this is basic stuff! (Did you never serve time in kindergarten?) You don't need an explicitly spelled out interaction rule to make this stuff happen.
>>
>>54448743
I absolutly love this game and have about 50games in.
My educated guess is that people tried to play this very passive and just build their own engine? Perhaps 3 players or less?
I think CitW is a must to play with 4(or 5 with expansion) to force people to get stuck with eachother.
Othertimes people just ignore the combat and let opponents to 'stick' in their areas, which is fine i guess? But not really the point of the game in a way.

Anyway! I'd not say say its a bad game, it has a habit of people playing either very solitaire or over aggressive tho. I think players usually need to have a handful of games played before they can really start playing it.
>>
>>54449595
>My educated guess is that people tried to play this very passive and just build their own engine? Perhaps 3 players or less?
4 players. The Khorne guy who tried to go full retard military expansion found he got his shit kicked in on too many fronts, and the others who got in medium skirmishes decisively won or lost with no real feeling for who was odds on to win. The big demons seem woefully underpowered compared to a handful of the medium size ones too.
>>
>>54448777
Man, those tanks look like some bullshit.
>>
>>54448777

Wait they underdelivered on their kickstarter promises and then were surprised when they got backlash ?

Fuck 'em.
>>
Please give SU&SD more money so they can keep making their shitty videos full of awful jokes and not telling you anything about a game besides "it's a lot of fun"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJgM_ek0Yx4
>>
>>54432722
>tfw thread images you created as jokes keep getting used to make threads.

Well, at least I'm contributing I guess.
>>
File: 1386986018998.jpg (14KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1386986018998.jpg
14KB, 400x400px
>>54451790
>tfw thread images you created as jokes keep getting used to make threads.

I know dem 'feels'...

MFW 'Twilight Snuggle' got used...
>>
>>54451755
>shilling for them disguised as sarcasm.
Don't post links to their videos or site if you don't like them, you're just giving them free publicity.
>>
>That one game you thought you would hate but ended up liking, what's it name?
I've come to love Tsuro a lot, it's such a simple and quick game that looks amazing
>>
File: 1485062778569.jpg (85KB, 442x650px) Image search: [Google]
1485062778569.jpg
85KB, 442x650px
>>54451755
>Warhammer fourty thousand
I just spent the entire back half of the day at a funeral/wake for one of my closest friends and that grammatical bullshit still pisses me off more.

>>54451790
You guys keep making joke images and I will keep baking with them because I have neither the time nor skill to do it myself. I still think those rec charts look like shit, but other people post em sometimes.
>>
File: IMG_0623.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0623.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>54433966
>two day delivery delivers next day
DAMN
>>
File: co-related games2a.png (3MB, 800x1876px) Image search: [Google]
co-related games2a.png
3MB, 800x1876px
DID SOMEBODY SAY REC LISTS THAT LOOK LIKE SHIT?
>>
>>54459900
MY EYESSSS

>checked
>>
Those of you who paint minis, do you use a spray can to apply your sealant or do you brush it one as well?
>>
>>54461602
Honestly, I don't seal my minis. The problem with varnish / dull coat is that it eventually yellows. If you are going to seal your minis - you will want to use a spray sealer. Brushing on sealant is a PITA. If you don't want a 'shiny' coat, you might still use a gloss sealant for your first coat as it's stronger, and then use a mat or flat coat for the final application.
>>
>>54461894
Thanks pal, I appreciate it
>>
>>54461994
Glad to help. Also - be careful of the temperature and humidity when you apply the spray varnish or clear coat. High humidity is not good, and you want about 70 - 75 degrees Far. To cold and it can slow the drying time down to problem levels, high humidity can cause the varnish to 'cloud' or 'frost'.
>>
File: 904-Lords-of-X-1.jpg (101KB, 456x500px) Image search: [Google]
904-Lords-of-X-1.jpg
101KB, 456x500px
I've just played a game of Lords of Xidit last night. I didn't really imagined how it would go but well... went pretty great.
Basically it's a programming game, each player set 6 actions per turn in advance (travelling, stopping, recruiting, attacking a monster) and then have them go one after the other on a map that is comprised of 21 linked cities.

Game rules are quite simple, but that's the scoring system that is original. There are three victory conditions, each time you beat a monster you choose two out of three bounties from those types:
-Mage towers, you can put a certain number, they are visible at all times.
-Coin, is kept hidden by all players
-Renown, is calculated in the 9 regions, you can put a certain numbers of your token each time you beat a monster in the limits of a region, each region grants a certain number of points, second also have like half of the points.

So each player has three scores, one for each condition. But then before each play, you decide which is calculated first, second and in third. At the first and second calculation, last player (with 4 players) is eliminated of the rest of the scoring, at the third and last scoring the first is the winner. So if someone is really bad at the first thing but exceptionnal at the others, well too bad but s/he is eliminated before having it's chance to shine. So you have to be ok at the two first condition and great at the last. But then for instance if the first condition is Coin (and it's hidden at all time), unless you've remember each opponent's gains, you don't know how much you need to beat the other...

This scoring idea is pretty great, there is some opportunities to screw people over with the programming as well, doing things before one another and so on. Clearly it's a game where the winner is the person who has done the fewer mistakes. Content is quite good as well and format is nice. All in all, only one game in, but sold on how it works.
>>
File: pic3016500_md.jpg (148KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
pic3016500_md.jpg
148KB, 500x500px
What do you think of this? Been thinking about getting it for my group
>>
A lot of buzz about Gloomhaven lately. It looks interesting though I'm unclear on the "legacy" aspect of the game. Do you have to rip cards, use stickers, etc.? I'm not interested at all in a game I have to damage to play, or one that gets physically diminished over several plays. Anyone have some input?
>>
>>54466092
Had pretty good experiences with it.

+ You don't have to like zombies, in the struggle to survive they're just another hazard; hunger, cold, and stupid accidents will kill you at least as often
+ It's pretty damn in depth and even though the Crossroads and Crisis systems are up to the RNG it ends up feeling organic
+ The writing is usually pretty good
+ The gameplay mechanics are fairly solid. Most fun one of my tables has had with a traitor co-op
+/- The game uses dice, I know some autists here will screech about that.
+/- Everybody, not just traitors, has secondary goals.
- It is long to set up and long to play
- It is hard as fuck and sometimes the cards will just give you a kill sequence, I've played a lot of co-ops and Dead of Winter is the one most likely to just give you the finger and there's nothing you can do about it.
- Fuck man you don't even need the traitor tanking the colony. Usually, they'll be scrambling for other conditions of their wincon while the place collapses under its own weight
- Everyone, even the traitor, can lose a particular game
- Even if the Colony 'wins'.
>>
>>54466301
By default it has those aspects but the creators shilled some third party vinyl temp stickers that let you play without losing the ability to reset to square zero.
>>
>>54432722
Sadly I gotta say pic related. I loved all the spooky elements and pieces and building the house at first as well as the haunts. Thought the expansion was neat once we got it, too. And while I still like the idea and how it's handled, for some reason I'd just rather play anything else, y'know? I don't strictly dislike it or anything, I feel like it's gone a little stale to me. I'll put up with a game or two at a time though given that it's still a big hit with all my bros.

Maybe I just need a good break from it, I dunno.
>>
>>54467121
It's okay, soon you'll get over the "sadly" part of that first sentence.

>>54466092
Like a lot of it, but the traitor element really isn't very well implemented, they have virtually no motivation to ever actively hinder the rest of the team, just wait until morale gets low enough they can end the game in one turn. Not as interesting as mounting paranoia as you become increasinly certain that someone is actively working against you, and trying to catch them out at it.
>>
>>54433896
Inis
>>
>>54440653
My circle of friends consists of normies to 95%. I literally only know a single person that is into track and field and she only is because she is from Ethiopia so it's some pride thing for her.
>>
>>54466301
The "legacy" stuff is actually just some classes come hidden in boxes and there's a map you can put stickers on to help remember where you've been and what you've done. Literally nothing needs to be destroyed, not even the map.
>>
>>54466368
>>54468273
Thanks for the input. I'll have to keep an eye out for the reprint.
>>
>>54466340

>+ The writing is usually pretty good

Yeah, the cards are actually pretty well written...

And then you remember that you're playing a sniper rifle wielding dog.
How could they fuck up the tone of the game so badly ?

>>54466092

Anyway, I hate that game, not for that particular reason of course, I'm pretty much aligned with Zee's opinion of the game if you follow the dice tower : the hidden agendas, even without traitors throw a huge wrench into the whole "cooperating" idea.

I dunno about you guys, but if I see I'm not going to fulfill my personal goal, I'm taking everyone to hell with me. That seems to be the shared sentiment in my group too, it's funny because we usually love coops, but I rembember last game "What do you mean I dont win if I dont succeed at my personal goal ? Well then fuck you, I aint giving you no meds !"
>>
>>54470085
It's worth noting that the game does ship with a pure co-op mode: Play with no traitor, no hidden objectives, and the "Hard" side of the Main Objective. You end up leaving out a couple survivors (The pirate and the lawyer are the ones I can remember) but otherwise it still runs in a surprisingly fulfilling manner.
>>
>>54470085
>Giving the dog a sniper rifle
>Instead of akimbo 1911's, a snowmobile, and a lighter.
>>
>Has 4 friends
>Introduce Secret Hitler to them
>Friend #1 hates it
>Introduce Takenoko
>Friend #2 hates it
>Introduce Formula D
>Friend #3 hates it
>Play a couple of rounds of Uno
>Friend #4 hates it

Okay, I'm a little stumped. What game should I get to have all 4 of my friends like?
>>
>>54470597
>What game should I get to have all 4 of my friends like?

It's called "The Game of Life" - get friends who have a broader taste in games. Otherwise, how do you honestly expect random Anons who know nothing about your friend's taste in games to come up with useful suggestions?
>>
>>54470085
>last game "What do you mean I dont win if I dont succeed at my personal goal ? Well then fuck you, I aint giving you no meds !"

All that does is tell us that your gaming group has a selfish mindset - not that there's a problem with the game's design. Pretty much all games that have a social element fail in groups with a 'fuck you if I can't win' attitude.
>>
>>54470597
>social deduction, a polarizing category with a more polarizing theme on the game
>game with random objectives that piss off a lot of people outside of beginners
>roll and move game
>fucking Uno
Normally I try not to shit on people in /bgg/ but c'mon anon you gotta do better; Takenoko isn't a bad choice for newer gamers but it would never be one I brought out before stuff like TtR/Carc/Splendor. Assuming of course this isn't bait.
>>
>>54471655
Disagree. Expecting players to do things contrary to their win condition is a poor position from which to design a game. Threatening to tank your teammates if they aren't bringing you along to the winner's podium should absolutely be viable - it's one of the best parts of both New Angeles and DoW.
>>
>>54467121
I don't know how the game is supposed to go, but I played a round of this the other day in Tabletop Simulator where the haunt triggered on the third rotation of player movements and nobody had left the ground floor, so the traitor immediately ganked everyone (each of those players, in turn, becoming traitors) and the game was over two turns after

I'm not sure if that's how the average game goes, but it was not a great first impression.
>>
>>54470597
Something heavier and more mechanical.
>>
>>54472396
It can go a whole lot of different ways, but each and every one of them is almost exactly that stupid and driven entirely by randomness.
>>
>>54472396
>>54472760
It's not just random, it's completely impossible to make informed decisions in the first half of the game because that information doesn't exist. You've got about as much control over the outcome as Candyland until the Haunt gets triggered, and 90% of the time (in my experience) the Haunt is an easy win for whichever team lucked out in the setup.

I don't understand people who like this game.
>>
I finally got around to playing Pandemic: Legacy with my group. I never cared about the BGG rankings, but thought that it was always up there for just hype. But I can definitely see why it's up there now.

We played four games, lost first cause the event thing reeeeally boned us. Then went on to win the next three due to really working the abilities and bonuses we've chosen. So we're sitting at the start of April with 0 funding, so it's looking at least a little scary with more stuff staring us down.

It's been a lot of fun. Not quite mind blowing, but very, very cool. Definitely looking forward to more of it.
>>
i look for some cheap dongeon crawl
if you have some suggestion it will be helpfull
>>
File: Wrath_of_Ashardalon.jpg (238KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Wrath_of_Ashardalon.jpg
238KB, 1024x1024px
>>54474551
Look for Pic related on Amazon, CSI, and Miniature Market and see which is offering the best deal. (Or try the 'Geek Bazaar' on Board Game Geek.)
>>
>>54432722
To whichever Anon mentioned the Helionox game - thank you! I missed the initial KS, but they've opened up late backer slots (oddly enough on IndieGoGo) with full KS backer rewards which is pretty damn cool.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/helionox-deluxe-edition#/

So thanks again - it looks like it'll be a game my group will enjoy.
>>
>>54470597
How about anything that is an actual game.
>>
File: 1475177820924.gif (2MB, 400x385px) Image search: [Google]
1475177820924.gif
2MB, 400x385px
>Played a game
>One of my friends got really upset when he didn't know a rule we explained
>Insists friend teaching the game never taught the rule even though all of use remember him teaching the rule
>Gives my friend garbage about it any time he teaches a new game
>Finally replay the game that set him off hoping it will go better that time
>He has a fuckin spaz attack in the middle of the game about how angry he is about that time we played fuckin months ago
He's my brother, and I knew he could be over the top at times, but all of us are afraid to teach any games at this point because of how much of a spaz he just was. I don't want to stop inviting him but holy fuck, he has reached autism levels of yelling at people over completely insignificant things.
>>
>>54466092
It's mechanics are fine and an overall all right game for people not wanting to overthink.

My problem with the game is that there is no tension and it comes down to a lot of luck in the end. I've played several games with a betrayer who we even know is at the table but since there are no ways of figuring out who it is you just kinda go along and hope the betrayer doesn't make you lose. I suppose it's a matter of taste in the end but I could never get immersed in the game and didn't even get sad when I lost as it was never anything I could do about it.

I've found that there is a big problem if someone loses a survivor straight away and is left with one character and is unlucky in finding other survivors and have nothing to do save wait patiently for the other players with 5-7 each to do all of their moves.

Sorry if the post is a little incoherent, I'm rambling from my phone.
>>
>>54471655
I hate that win style so much in Mansions of Madness 2nd edition. No one feels like a winner if they end up insane with the "you only win if everyone loses" condition. No player of mine has actively wanted to tank the game and everyone gives only a half hearted attempt at sabotage. Then you end up with the conditions that you need to win with near impossible conditions. Technically speaking, playing to win should have you delaying the game even in the face of certain doom to try and win yourself, but no one wants to tank a 2 hour campaign coop because you ended up drawing a bad insane card. They added a condition in the expansion that's basically mini insanity, where you're still trying to win but forced to do negative things as you go along like start fires or steal from people, and it feels like that's what insanity in that game should have been. Instead we end up with semi coop which is just impossible to get everyone on the same page for how to handle.
>>
>>54476524
That's annoying as fuck. I've lost games because someone actually didn't teach me a rule before, and I grumble about it, but I'm not going to make a scene and I'm certainly not going to bring it up again in the future.

Anyway, I personally would never play a second game with anyone who starts screaming at other people and doesn't apologize once they've calmed down. If you think he's worth keeping around, though, then you do you. But maybe try talking to him about expected behavior when gaming. If he freaks out over it, then kick him for real.
>>
>>54476524
If he's being that much of an asshole then you should tell him to cut it out or just stop inviting him. It sounds like he's acting like a morherfucking child. The fact that he can't accept not hearing your friend explain that one rule and constantly antagonizes the friend even though it's your brother's fault is absurd. Even if your friend had forgotten that rule, they're fucking human and mistakes happen. Your brother being a grade A McAsshole over this is completely inexcusable. Tell that motherfucker to grow up or fuck off. He may be family but he's ruining everyone else's experience, which is textbook selfish. You got a draw boundary lines anon, you aren't his babysitter and you don't have to put up with that kind of shit. I literally just woke up and now I'm fucking livid over this. Fuck.
>>
im choosing between imperial settlers, space hulk da, roll for the galaxy and tiny epic galaxies for a next 2p game, what would you chose?

also can you suggest me some heavier titles that can be played by two? i know there are lots of short games like jaipur or patchwork but i'm slowly shifting towards heavier titles. Maybe not straight war of the ring level but something below it? (ive got bofa already its great just some games may go slower)
>>
>>54478765
I would grab Space Hulk Death Angel for the sole fact that's it's either OOP or about to be OOP (I can't remember which it is). It's a great game mind you and now is the cheapest you'll be able to get it before people jack up the price on you.
>>
>>54478765
Define 'heavier'. War of the Ring may be thematic and baroque, but underneath it's just good old Risk and lots of dice rolling.
>>
>>54474609
This one is pretty fun and is basically D&D in a box. We've played it a few times and it's especially helpful for bridging the gap between boardgames and pen and paper.
>>
>>54478792
good point, ill most probably grab it first now.

>>54479956
By heavier i meant something with deeper gameplay than usual two player sugestions like Splendor or Patchwork which I have but i dont feel like playing 2-3 times in a row and one game is too short.

From the two - war of the ring and battle of five armies - i chose the second and its close to perfect but may be a tiny bit too much as some games we had were close to 3 hours + cleaning.

I have nothing against short games, in fact majority of my collection are those and i want to get some buffier titles. But not entire evening monstrosities.

Doesn't eldritch horror have a lot of replayability and can be played in around 2 hours?
>>
>>54480327
Agricola is great at 2.
>>
>>54480338
>>54480327
Yeah, get one of the more complex Rosenberg games, he always puts a lot of thought in scaling his games to all player counts.
>>
File: raptor.jpg (245KB, 860x1300px) Image search: [Google]
raptor.jpg
245KB, 860x1300px
This game is soo much fun. I love it. If any of you are looking for a good 2 player game that doesn't take long and is fun but not too tactical like The Duke then I can't recommend this enough.
>>
Has anyone played 1st & goal? I've found a copy for $30 with the northeast expansion included, is that a good deal and is it worth it?
>>
>>54482696
Cathala really is good with 2p games...
>>
>>54482706
If you're a football fan? Absolutely. Expansions don't add loads of depth, it just gives teams variety. Base game each team has the same balanced run/pass/defense where you all roll the same dice based on the offensive vs defensive play selections. Expansions might make you have a shitty passing game and now you'll roll gray/brown (med range) dice for nailing a long pass while the defense is in a run block, but you roll the green/blue (longest range) if you get a successful draw play. Or you get lots more defensive dice when you guess close to right but your offense is weak. The game has legs without, it just gives more longevity or makes it easier to run a league/playoff with friends. If you want a rundown on the game itself I shilled the hell outta it last thread >>54399608; you could also get the app for a feel of it, if you're unsure, it's very accurate to how the game feels on the table.

Of note, it seems to be between print runs with R&R who do let games lapse a long time, and at $30 you're getting both them for 1/3 off each. CSI has no stock on it and MM only has NE/SE expansions out of the 6 they made.
>>
>Vinhos
>Viticulture
Which is better?
>>
File: 1459814351115.jpg (94KB, 601x508px) Image search: [Google]
1459814351115.jpg
94KB, 601x508px
>go to board game night
>new guy comes
>ask him what he likes to play
>uh everything whatever
>seems OK
>teach fluxx as filler before real game
>dude seems a little lost
>can't into reading the cards
>can't seem to understand the draw play rules
>after ask him if he is a visual learner
>um yeah
>OKAY
>decide to teach roll for the galaxy
>guy is lost
>tell him what to do for ten moves
>give up
>just treat him like the random die in 2 player
>he leaves after
>bloodshot eyes, can barely stand
>we laugh about what a retard he was
>realize later he must have downed some edibles and they were just kicking in when we started, in full force by the end
>I'm so oblivious to drugs I didn't realize the guy was stoned off his butt
>going to make a don't come if you're high rule in group

Made me mad too I had the best starting worlds I've ever gotten in roll for the galaxy and fluxx was just meh because of him. I fucking hate people who ruin games for other people, I mean this is my ONE night I get to be social and talk to adults.
>>
File: file.jpg (50KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
file.jpg
50KB, 640x640px
>>54439344
>>
>>54433966
>>54458174
is it gud tho?
>>
>>54476524
there is a guy at my group who gives me shit everytime we play because when I taught evolution the first game I didn't know there was a 3 trait limit. four fucking months later and he won't shut up about it
>>
>>54483014
viticulture is decent, bit dry but you get to move lots of bits around. when I played there was a ESL dude who did nothing but play all his dudes in summer and do everything to draw more cards. kind of hard to gauge what a real game would have been like without a dumbass. would play again but not going to buy.

never playerd vinhos
>>
>>54478792
>>54480327

Leaving DA being OOP aside.
Space Hulk DA or Xenoshyft?
Both look interesting, but xenoshyft seems less prone to the 'leaders syndrome' which i tend to be.

Any thoughts?
>>
File: quest for el dorado.jpg (936KB, 802x800px) Image search: [Google]
quest for el dorado.jpg
936KB, 802x800px
Anyone here played this? Looks like a pretty good racing game.
>>
>>54483875
I haven't but I'd love to get a really good racing game one day
>>
>>54485160
Check out Downforce.
>>
File: yuru_yuri_0004.png (908KB, 3139x3287px) Image search: [Google]
yuru_yuri_0004.png
908KB, 3139x3287px
How do you shuffle cards?

I've been trying to learn the riffle shuffle since yesterday. It seems to be starting to work out. I can see the bridge ending being easy once I get the riffle down, but I still have big clumps. I have quite small hands. I hope that isn't a problem.

The most important thing to note, IMHO, is to put one's thumb at least almost vertically, rather tahn horizontally, on the deck. Still have some questions, though:

Where do you put your thumb exactly? At the far end (corner of the cards) or closer to the mid?
Should I put the cards on my first or second joint of the middle and ring fingers? I'm having trouble putting them there, rather than on the first joint. I hope that isn't less stable.
Also, should you put your pinky finger on the long side of the stack, so that nothing can fall off the side? That feels really awkward.
>>
>>54478765
Race for the galaxy is a better two player game than roll for the galaxy. Strongly consider getting it over roll; this is coming from a fan of both games.
>>
>>54485878
I'd say Roll is really better with 3 or more as well.
>>
File: 20170723_152311.jpg (654KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20170723_152311.jpg
654KB, 2048x1152px
>>54485805
the important thing is the bend. get some cards hold the bottom and arch them using both hands. you see how the cards fan out on the end you're not holding?

thats the key. so you arch the half deck in your hand and put your thumb across all the card ends that are fanned out. because they are fanned you can let them go- one at a time is ideal but that's only your goal, it takes lots of practice.

again the arch making the fan is what is important.
>>
File: 20170723_152340.jpg (587KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20170723_152340.jpg
587KB, 2048x1152px
>>54485805
>>54486090
exaggerated "fan" edge showing. these are really stiff cards and harder to bend thus harder to shuffle- which brings me to also, go ask your dad for some old shit deck of cards. soft old cards are easier to practice with- a lot of games (eg. evolution) have stiff quality cards. slick cards suck as well for learning.
>>
>>54485805
>>54486090
>>54486131
last practice, practice, practice. carry your old shit deck around instead of a fidget spinner. tell your teacher you're autistic and need to shuffle to pay attention.

HTH
>>
>>54476524
Just call him an autistic fuck and don't invite him again.
>Getting angry at games
>>
>>54478765
roll has so many wonderful wonderful dice.

I felt like the problem with two player was the game wasn't long enough- seemed like getting to 12 developments came before you really got an engine established, and I only used the single white die under a cup to simulate the 3rd player choice. If I played again 2p I'd double the planets/developments and vps or something.

I am like totally addicted to roll atm, and have never played race. so many dice lol
>>
>>54485805
>riffle shuffle
Fuck no, that bends your cards to shit.
I just make two stacks, separate the botom one a bit and drop cards from the upper stack as I move the gap around.
>>
>>54486269
AUTISM

and

>your doing it wrong
>>
>>54470085
>the hidden agendas, even without traitors throw a huge wrench into the whole "cooperating" idea.
That's the whole appeal to me. I love that idea.

>I dunno about you guys, but if I see I'm not going to fulfill my personal goal, I'm taking everyone to hell with me.
Not at least pretending to cooperate is not a feasible behaviour, especially over several games. In fact, openly saying that you'll fuck everyone over for your own goals rather makes you look like you're having a traitor role, which makes people work against you, while cooperation can be the seed for further cooperation or a bargaining chip. Always just pretending to cooperate doesn't work either, due to mutual loss conditions.
>>
>>54486304
Not wanting to wear your cards to a tattered mess is autism? Well ok then.
>>
>>54486304
>Taking care of your cards is autism
>>
>>54485805
I corner riffle (also called table riffle) You can shuffle without very much bending force. Plus cards stay facedown and unrevealed.
>>
>>54485447
>Downforce
Good but a bit overrated and over-hyped; but then again everything from Restoration has been. They're good games from the past sure, and family games are nice to have on the shelf, but Thunder Alley, Jamaica, Snow Tails, Odin's Ravens, PitchCar, all better games. Also worth noting Downforce is as much about betting as racing which puts it more in a grouping with Camel Up, Hare & Tortoise (tales and games not the SDJ winner) Winner's Circle.
>>
>>54486415
>>54486457
Why even play then? You're like the autists in /o/ who don't drive but constantly talk about wearing a clutch out.

Shuffling doesn't fuck up your cards unless you're doing it wrong. Shoving two stacks together does feather the edges and ruin your cards. In any case you should probably just keep not playing because even opening the game causes wear.
>>
>>54487111
>Ah, you dont do this particularly destructive way of shuffling and use a different technique instead? What an autist, why do you even play
I think the autist here is you anon.
>>
>>54487201
the anon asked how to shuffle faggot, he didn't ask how not to be able to shuffle and come up with autistic excuses for why you can't
>>
Why is bending even a problem? Can't you just bend them back?
>>
>more autism arguments
Ok normally I'd just ignore and ask about a game I'm interested in but this time I got a good question related to the poo flinging. At what point is a card "worn out" and how many games does it take to get there?

Personally I don't think I've work out any deck of cards outside of poker cards (and there it was prolly just the 24 cards used for Euchre) and even then it took so long I didn't mind dropping another $3 on a fresh deck. How long would it take to wear out an entire deck of good board game cards say from Hanabi? At that point am I even playing other games or is it the one thing that keeps hitting the table?

>>54487304
I think people worry about chipping card edges which would let them know what specific card is in someone else's hand, or on top of a draw pile. But then there's colored sleeves to solve that problem right?
>>
>>54486225
>wonderful dice
Really? They look cheap even in photos. I really, really looked forward to a game with 100 or so dice, and then I saw the photo. I realized that to keep the price in check, those 100 dice had to be mediocre. Are the dice actually good? How do they look after being rolled 5000 times?

Would instabuy an edition of RftG with quality dice.
>>
File: autism.jpg (24KB, 277x296px) Image search: [Google]
autism.jpg
24KB, 277x296px
>>54487304
bending is a problem if you bend them with retard force and the last card folds in half.

bending is also a problem if you can't shuffle and need an excuse.

the purpose of bridging is to remove the bend- it's not just some fancy thing you do. the alternative is to shuffle a few times face up, thus counter bending as you shuffle.

>inb4 your cards will be ruined tho

fucking autists
>>
>>54487336
>side note for clarification
Any "worn out" Euchre deck I had has likely been doused in beer, coffee, and covered in pizza grease, so that might accelerate the process
>>
>>54487345
I love them and I'm a D&D guy with probably 5lbs of D&D dice, at least 200 d20s. They're fine for what they are and I've never looked at them and gone "these cheap pieces of shit are cheap pieces of shit". I see what you're saying but the quantity and bright colors, getting to buy them and put them to work makes up for the fact they aren't top tier quality- but again I'm kind of biased because roll is my favorite game atm.
>>
File: file.jpg (260KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
file.jpg
260KB, 1920x1080px
>>54487364
>card sleeves what are they
>>
>>54487462
Exactly, but how long does it take before you've fucked up a deck, and if it's 3 years of playing For Sale non-stop at every meetup, wouldn't your time on sleeves be better spent buying another game and replacing a worn out deck with a new game copy?
>>
>>54487336
>I think people worry about chipping card edges
Isn't that much more of a problem in other shuffling methods than riffling?
>>
>>54487294
No, he literally asked
>How do you shuffle your cards?
Then asked on tips of riffle shuffle.
The faggot is you, can't even read.

>>54487304
It's hard to get them back to being perfectly straight once they get some curvature, you need to apply excess force for them to get unbent, but it's very hard to apply the exact amount of force in the exact right way. You can repeteadly try an inverse bend in small amounts, but often you won't have the bend point right and will end with wobbly cards.
The safest option is to just throw them under a large weight for a while, but it's time consuming and requires a big surface to do more than one at a time.
>>
>>54487364
My only "worn out" deck started out as uncoated paper (or not fully coated?) and they've sort of rubbed/scarred at either end on the backs but GOD ALMIGHTY ARE THEY SOFT AS FUCK
>>
>>54487491
People bitch about black edge cards being prone to chipping even if you're not shuffling a deck, I'd imagine you can do it just picking cards up off a table.
>>
Just learn to riffle shuffle without bending the cards. Takes practice but it looks nice and there's less wear.
>>
File: dbt.jpg (46KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
dbt.jpg
46KB, 640x480px
>>54487501
>>How do you shuffle your cards?
look again it's
>>54485805
>How do you shuffle cards?
and the context is obviously not your preferred style of avoiding actually shuffling.

So please explain about reading comprehension again because I didn't understand how you're not a faggot.

>to get them back to being perfectly straight

like I said you should not unbox your games in the first place.

And you have autism.
>>
>>54487606
>Look, it's the same without a "your"
>It's not a shuffle unless it's a riffle shuffle
Just fuck off you turbo autist.
>>
File: pic3476604_md.jpg (143KB, 500x350px) Image search: [Google]
pic3476604_md.jpg
143KB, 500x350px
So anyone here played Adrenaline? Just caught a review from last year and now I can't decide if it's worth trying to pack into my Gencon schedule and wake up early to play on a day I'm going to be going til 1am.
>>
>>54486394

To contextualize, this threat happened towards the final turns, when it was obvious he couldnt fulfill it.
He wasnt trying to get people to give him stuff so he could win, he knew he was fucked and decided to take everyone with him.
I had felt the same in previous plays to be honest, I still helped everyone because I didnt want to tank the game, but fuck it, in retrospect, I would've had much more fun seeing everybody burn !

Sold it after that last game, no desire to play it again.
>>
>>54487490

You cant always replace games. Ave Caesar hasnt been reprinted in years, I'm so glad I sleeved my cards.

>>54485805

I sleeve all my games, you can do the same effect as a riffle shuffle without the damage by simply sliding two stacks against each other.
It's pricey, but hey, you're also protecting your fame that way.
>>
>>54488315
See and OOP or an import I'd sleeve just to protect from the get go, but if even if you don't, how many times does a game get played before the cards START to show wear, how many more because it's unplayable, and how much time/energy is wasted worrying over it? I've seen people freak out over the cards in TtR; you can buy an expansion with full size cards for what $10? Days of Wonder sells the shitty hobbit card deck for $5, but it's still an instant "oh shit must sleeve and never riffle shuffle because it has to be pristine forever"
>>
File: level 7 omega.jpg (17KB, 246x246px) Image search: [Google]
level 7 omega.jpg
17KB, 246x246px
So I keep hearing that this is the best 1 vs many game. What other good games of that kind are out there? Is that Conan game good?
>>
>>54488644
Been hearing good things about Not Alone, but haven't had a chance to play it yet.
>>
>recently bought the Space Hulk videogame from 2013
>I fucking love it

Thinking about grabbing the full boardgame, you guys got any good experiences with where to find it for a decent price (or am I doomed to shell out a load of dough on ebay)? Generals tips are appreciated too.
>>
File: IMG_0090.jpg (327KB, 1920x1439px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0090.jpg
327KB, 1920x1439px
I'm learning how to paint minis now and I'm starting with the minis from Specter Ops. How bad do they look so far?
>>
File: Gears of War front image.jpg (296KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
Gears of War front image.jpg
296KB, 500x500px
>>54488644
While not '1 vs many' - pic related is in the same vein and really good. It's a shame they only made 1 mini expansion for it before it went OOP.

One the Fantasy side, you have games like Descent. Unfortunately Descent becomes a 'race game' with players racing to complete objectives as rapidly as possible rather than a true dungeon crawler.
>>
>>54489179
You have an alright start. It takes a while to learn both brush control so the paint only ends up where you want it, and how the various painting techniques look / work together so you can form a strategy on how you want the finished mini to look.
>>
>>54488866
You have two choices when it comes to Space Hulk - you've got the solo / co-op card based game from FFG, and and the minis based 3D game from GW itself. The card game is solid solo or co-op. The minis game is strictly 2 player (though the genestealer side could be A.I.'d fairly easily). The FFG game is going out of production so I don't know what the prices are currently like. The minis game goes in and out of production so prices can be all over the map.
>>
>>54487700
I haven't played it but I want to. I have a hard on for fighting robots and I'm still trying to scratch that itch
>>
>>54483113
I haven't had a chance to play it but the rules are super tight. Dice are used in combat resolution but in such a way that I think they can simply be removed and the game would play about the same, for the dice autists here.
>>
File: 7243564.jpg (288KB, 1365x945px) Image search: [Google]
7243564.jpg
288KB, 1365x945px
Looking for a game that can play 5 people. After looking around a bit these ended up on the short list. Which one would you recommend? We don't have a problem with longer or heavier games.
>>
>>54490543
I can't say enough good about Mare Nostrum, it has so many clever ways of expressing player agency. New Angeles is great as a negotiation / traitor game, and I hear a lot of great things about Food Chain Magnate, my friends say it's a lot more aggressive than most euros.
>>
>>54489405
Any advice going forward?
>>
>>54490543
Of those eight, I've only played Roll for the Galaxy. I tried to pick up a copy of Evolution at an auction this weekend, but it went to list price and I gave up.

I'm interested in how well New Angeles plays. It looks like a fun theme, and I tend to enjoy games which even superficially have a fun theme more than ones set in medieval Europe.
>>
>>54490494
To elaborate: During a Throwdown, you add up your strength: Prospects are 1, Members are 2, and you blind bid guns in Patch Order (turn order, the patch is the first player token); guns are 3. The you each roll a die, add it to your total, and for each gun you use an opponents Dude (a Member or Prospect) has to go to the ER, where at the end of the turn you roll a die to see whether each lives and returns to the Clubhouse or dies and returns to the reserve pile.

I think you could easily remove the dice from combat resolution and change very little to make this more like a Eurogame, if you're given to that kind of thing. The roll to see if your dude lives or dies seems significant, though, it adds value to guns as part of the balance.
>>
>>54491257
Oh, I forgot: after combat resolution, the victor stays put and the losers retreat, even if the victor had to send all his guys to the ER, and you can only use a space if you control it.

Overall I think this looks like an amazing game with tight mechanics and an apt theme; I would l lay the seeming unpopularity squarely at the SoA fandom and BG fandom being two unintersecting circles on a Venn diagram.
>>
>>54491321
funny I'm both a SoA fan and a BGer but I'd shy away precisely for that reason- I mean making an TV show board game sounds more lame than playing scategories again.

That said I've got it on my list in amazon based on your comments.
>>
>>54490543
well if you can GET terraforming mars...

but roll for the galaxy is great fun 3 or 4 but bogs a little with 5.

evolution I've only played evolution: the beginning, which is evolution light. it scales pretty good but again at 5 it's less fun than with 3 or 4 for some reason.

I feel like 7 wonders is really good at 5 players simply because you get some resource scarcity across the table- neighbors are not that crucial when you play 3 up.

I'd go
1. terraforming mars
2. roll for the galaxy
3. 7 wonders (I know not on your list)
4. one of the evolution (haven't played either)
>>
File: geekfile_download.pdf (6MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
geekfile_download.pdf
6MB, 1x1px
>>54491693
Cash, guns, and contraband are hidden for every faction but the Grim Bastards. They start with more of every resource but don't get a screen. They also have a special rule where they get to play kingmaker during Pile-Ups (Throwdowns with more than two factions) and when the cops catch one of their dudes they get to auto-sell drugs. The Lin Syndicate start with the fewest Members but most base orders (turn actions, at the beginning of every round you get Base Orders + Members counts number of Orders), spend cash to lower Heat (cop attention), and get cash of they have the first player token at the start of round. The Mayans can buy guns with drugs as an action, can fight without spending an action, and have the fewest Base Orders but most starting Members. The One Niners can call for backup (throw more dudes in a fight after it's already started) without spending actions, and can sell more drugs at each heat level than the other factions. SAMCRO can buy guns with cash as an action, and get more cash from selling guns.
I just thought you might appreciate the variable players powers if you know what they're based on.
>>
>>54491852
Oh, added to this: one of my favorite parts of the game after just reading the rulebook has to be calling dudes dudes. I call them dudes in every game, about damn time a game does it for me.
>>
>>54448303
That's actually hilarious. Good on them responding forthrightly.

Fact is the collector's edition is a downgrade from the deluxe edition they've been selling forever (at least as far as the graphic design goes) and they deserve animosity for putting out an inferior product. With all his "honesty" I fear he's learned the wrong lessons from Kickstarter but I see he's come to the right conclusion anyway.
>>
>>54483014
if you're just after a good wine theme, you'd probably be happy with either one. Personally, I find Viticulture hits its stride after including the best parts of Tuscany, and Vinhos is a brain burner and the work of an auteur that only heavy euro purists could love

Viticulture: The adjustable complexity in the form of optional modules (that aren't just tack-ons) is probably its biggest asset. Stegmeier is a middling designer but this is his best game, if only because he knows what gamers like and he provides it in spades here. There's a lot of randomness in the 4 draw decks, but a good player either makes due or draws more to find something serviceable. There's a lot of room to work and you're free to enjoy your group's own pace as you explore the engine-building aspect this game affords. There's less focus on the geography of Italy, more focus on making local improvements that provide bonuses/unlocks higher scoring opportunities. Game end can sneak up on you at any time which can be thrilling. There are several little hooks trying to force player interaction in the cards, reminiscent of Lords of Waterdeep.

Vinhos: I've only played the deluxe edition without the stock market, but even without its most complicated mechanism this is a brain burner. It feels immediately like a Lacerda game, with just a couple ways to start, none of which feel ideal. Vital relishes in your anguish, I think. A minor area control mechanism highlights the various regions of Portugal, and the game grounds the contest between players by wrapping most of the scoring opportunities around an actual wine festival tasting contest. Scoring is like a rubric. Mechanically, this means feeling under constant pressure, because festival day is coming if you're ready or not. Mostly not. While not the hardest Vital game I've played, it is too unforgiving of beginners. There's far less randomness; you'll know exactly what it takes to score big, but you may not be able to find the path
>>
>>54482939
I just downloaded the app for 1st & goal and holy fuck is this game a blast! Thanks anon!
>>
>>54487700
Just checked, I'm assuming you mean the oversized game of it? Sounds fun. I liked my one play of it, but I'm not looking to go back to it any time soon. It doesn't have enough variety for me
>>
>>54491757
Really? I have only played with 4 but it feels like it can scale just fine between 3 and 5. How does a game where everyone takes their turns simultaneously bog down?
>>
>Do you love Harry Potter?
>Do you love CAH?
Now you can play the Harry Potter CAH and prove how much of a degenerate you really are

http://www.boredpanda.com/harry-potter-game-cards-against-muggles/?utm_source=CB20&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=SAW
>>
>>54488548

Really depends on the game. I remember the first print of 7 wonders having some quality issues with the cards degrading after only a couple plays.

It's a gamble.
And you dont always know when a game's gonna go OOP, recently one of my friends wanted to buy "A la carte" to play with his kids, told him "oh you can find this game anywhere" (a few years ago it was easy to find in most toy stores) but, as it turns out, it's OOP. Same deal with Ave Caesar, when I bought it, it was still fairly common, and recently one of my friends wanted to buy the game : couldnt find it anywhere.
>>
>>54490543
Only played Mare Nostrum and Dominant Species. Of the two, I'd say Mare Nostrum is better for five players. Dominant Species is a great game, but doesn't work too great at five players due to starting positions. Fantastic at three, four, or six players though.
>>
>>54493795
Because the only thing funnier than endlessly recycling someone else's jokes is endlessly repeating someone else's references to ten year old pop culture.
>>
>>54493628
Yeah, I was kind of thinking the same thing. About the only things that really slows down the game are a lot of new players (and even that isn't to bad if there are a couple of experienced players to help) or if everyone does explore actions with a lot of dice at the same time - have to wait on the bag with the chits. Otherwise it plays quickly even with 5, much like 7 Wonders with 7 players.
>>
Is kemet well scaled for 2? If not what would be the minimum player count for it?
>>
>>54497290
It is but I don't know why you'd go through all that setup for it.
>>
>>54497330
But Kemet has such a short set-up time.
>>
File: IMG_20170611_011859.jpg (3MB, 4160x3120px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170611_011859.jpg
3MB, 4160x3120px
Guys, I am on vacation in France, Villeneuve sur lot, and I have a craving for boardgames. Anyone from la douce France know where I can buy games in English? A tall order, I know.
>>
>>54497476
Devil Pig Games is a French company that sells items in English. Don't know if that's what you're looking for, but they're a possibility.
>>
>>54498163
That might help. I'm just looking for a board game shop around where I am staying. Which is the middle of bum-fuck-nowhere...
>>
>>54498244
Pick up a game which doesn't have a lot of text, and read the rules online. Most game companies put their manuals on the web nowadays.
>>
>>54497476
Wanted family to bring me back games when they went to the wine country last year, in the end I just did an Amazon.fr order and grabbed stuff from a pickup location
>>
>>54478792
One of my local place is selling a Death Angel game and I know it's reputation and all but I'm becoming increasingly bored by games decided by dice throws. I really can't play those games were dices are critical to like half of your success and when you got to roll whenever you attempt anything, see Ghost Stories, Eldritch Horror, etc... So, should I still get Death Angel or no, since I've heard it's quite dice heavy?
>>
>>54499296
The way I see it here is the dice simulate the chaotic nature of marines being in a cramped hallway, surrounded by fast moving genestelers. In the heat of the moment, no human would always perform perfectly, there's always the chance you'll miss your shot or you'll be a little slow to get out of the way of an attacking genesteler. So the die simulates this imperfectness of the situation, forcing you to change tactics on the fly depending on what results you get from the die.
>>
>>54499437
I don't really question the validity or no of dices to represent something, it's just, as of now, I can't play board games that rely too much on dice throws, so I'll get that most of the outcomes are resolved by dice in Death Angel? I only had a quick glance at the rules.
>>
>>54493628
It might come from my habit of teaching to resolve phases in order together (e.g. everybody does develop at once instead of their whole turn) and probably more from the fact that I've never had four other people at one time who could play so I always wind up explaining and helping some of them.

But I dont' know it seems fast and easy with three, boggy with five. Can't really put my finger on why.

Incidentally roll seems like something that would be super easy to play dispersed on cam since they only common items are the phases and the bag. If you ignore duplicates (e.g. two people can draw the same tile) you could easily play remotely if everybody has a copy.
>>
>>54499491
Yes, most outcomes are decided by a die. But main two outcomes you resolve are when you attack genestelers and when they attack you. There are some things you can do to give you a potential reroll and the marines have certain abilities to make them a little more offensive or defensive, giving you a little more influence over outcomes.
>>
>>54490543
>Implying you are going to pay for a copy of food chain magnate
It's a shame since it seems like such an interesting game
>>
File: eh08_box_left.png (878KB, 500x813px) Image search: [Google]
eh08_box_left.png
878KB, 500x813px
>>54433588
That mystery is a bit of a tricky bastard. You're basically doing everything right there. The best you can do is camp on certain gates that are coming up and hope you can close them during the encounter. I will say that expansions help the problem. Forsaken Lore adds more cards to all the old Ancient Ones from the base game. You get 16 more clue cards for 24 total, some extra special encounters, and 2 more mysteries for a total of 6 each. This means this particular annoying mystery just comes up less with Forsaken Lore, which is nice. Some of the other expansions (Strange Remnants, Dreamlands, Mountains of Madness) also come with the Focus mechanic, which helps here too. Focus is basically a thing you can do every round as an action, and it gives you a Focus Token. You can have 2 Focus Tokens at any one time. You can spend a Focus Token to re-roll any one die during a test (but not on non-tests. No Rerolling a Dark Pact roll). Focus allows you to better prepare for the gate encounters, giving you up to two rerolls to really close that gate. You can easily add in the Focus mechanic without any of the expansions though, it is very simple and can use anything to stand in the Focus tokens.

>>54480327
Eldritch Horror has a lot of replayability and can be played with 2 very well. Me and my SO play it a lot with two investigators a player, it's a lot of fun. The base game is a good extended demo, but you'll want at least Forsaken Lore to get a really replayable game. It's pretty good after that, and if you like it you can heap more expansions on top for basically endless replyability. The game is long as hell though. 2 players with 4 investigators takes 3-4 hours unless something goes really well or wrong.

Finally got my copy of the latest Eldritch Horror expansion. I got a game in and I'm pretty pleased with it. The new disasters mechanics are a lot of fun
>>
File: the other hp lovecraft.jpg (73KB, 589x812px) Image search: [Google]
the other hp lovecraft.jpg
73KB, 589x812px
>>54493795
>HP CAH
Just why
>>
File: file.png (1MB, 1927x1927px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
1MB, 1927x1927px
Is it weird that I just want to play normal vanilla monopoly with RAW just once in my life?
>>
>>54497476
>I have a craving for boardgames
if you want to play i can help you find some local gaming club
for buying i am afraid that toulouse or bordeau are the nearest place that will have store that sell game in english
an alternative is to buy games that don't have anything writed on the accessoiries (card,board...) the rules of those games are often in french/english/spanish in the box
>>
>>54499754
No, it's a common impulse. Poe called it the Imp of the Perverse.
>>
>>54433896
El Grande
>>
>>54433896
>But I like to be proven wrong, so hit me up with some suggestions for terretory control games.
Ticket to Ride.
>>
File: Monopoly = bad.jpg (2MB, 2765x1879px) Image search: [Google]
Monopoly = bad.jpg
2MB, 2765x1879px
>>54499754
No, it isn't weird. Just know what you're in for - pic related.
>>
My best friend got a free copy of Arkham Horror +1 expansion for free. Looking at the rules, it looks super similar to LotR LCG, progressing quests and stuff.
Now, I've been slightly dissapointed in what came in the core set of LotR LCG. It advertises itself as 2-4 players, but you really can only do 2 50 card decks and there's only threat spinners. The game is great otherwise, but I resent having to buy another core and have a ton of wasted cards and stuff.
How's Arkham Horror in this regard? And how's Arkham Horror in general?
>>
>>54501309
You mean Arkham Horror LCG I'm guessing. It's literally the same situation re:"needing" more cores. First core only gets you two decks but it should be possible to build more with expansions instead of a second core. Of course it won't be "tuned"
>>
>>54488644
level 7 is good.... however, the setup can be a chore and the rulebook is hard to look stuff up in.
>>
>>54499898
Urgh, cheers for the info friend. I guess we'll have to make do with our games that we have already. Oh the drudgery
>>
File: song ice fire.png (2MB, 1034x898px) Image search: [Google]
song ice fire.png
2MB, 1034x898px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCIElarRkc0

Anyone here gonna back this?

I'm not at all a GoT fan so I have no interest in this but I'm sure this will make a couple millions on KS.
>>
>>54501309
Arkham Horror is pretty great if you're willing to do some serious deckbuilding (or at the very least copy some top-tier decks off of arkhamdb). Otherwise, the game is simply too brutal to play against. It's not a pure card game because of the random token draws required for pretty much every action (fighting, investigating, evading, testing willpower...), and so of course it has its luck component, but there are ways to mitigate that luck, even at high difficulty settings.
>>
>>54503375
Well, yeah, that's pretty much what I fear. That the game is actually great, engaging and super stimulating, making me spend hundreds. As it already is happening with LotR LCG.
>>
>>54503375
What difficulty do you play at?
>>
>>54503230
>CMoN
Partial games are shit and Eric Lang is overrated
>>
>>54503230

You know, GoT is a great theme and all, but it's appeal never was the battles to me. It's cool when they happen, but they're such a small part of the overall story, I'm not sure it's worth making into a wargame. Feels like it's missing the point.
I dunno. Might just be me.
>>
>>54504077
Would TI3 with a GoT theme work?
>>
>>54504120

Never played TI3 but I'm willing to say "possibly", it's got politics and shit right ?
>>
>>54504077
No it's not a rich theme for anything other than diplomacy type games, and they've already done that with aGoT and the Cosmic re-theme.

>>54504120
Fantasy would definitely work for a grand strategy game, but it seems like Petersen stopped caring about TI once he got his hands on the Star Wars license.
>>
>>54488866

oh man there was a small run of copies on the GW website something like last week. first since the last reprint in 2014 I think. Cant seem to find it anymore though, but do have a look yourself, it might be based on location.

ebay copies went for a lot after the 2009 reprint as that was the first 'modern' reprint.
the 2014 reprint is identical which killed off a lot of the ebay scalping. its still OOP and therefore on ebay, but nowhere near the overinflated price 2009 was. infact its pretty close to the RRP from what I can tell here.
just search for 'space hulk 2014'
>>
>>54503230
>CMoN
>ASoI&F
>"Starter Set"
I'll pass.
>>
>>54504140
>Fantasy would definitely work for a grand strategy game, but it seems like Petersen stopped caring about TI once he got his hands on the Star Wars license.
Which is unfortunate, frankly.
>>
>>54507537
He's probably tired, the guy built FFG by driving to cons and shilling his game tirelessly for a long time. IIRC the story is he used to set up outside Gencon because he couldn't get in, or didn't want to pay, and would demo it on the street or at a hotel next door or w/e back when it was at MECCA. Today he's the guy telling retailers they best not bring his stuff to the con and undercut him, while jacking up prices and telling gamers it's good for them. Not sure I want him working on TI4, even if it is his design.
>>
>>54490543
Food chain magnate. The game needs 5 to have the level of competition to keep everything tight. It's fairly heavy and longish, but it's so much fun once everyone gets rolling.
>>
So Argent: The Consortium is back on KS. Has anyone actually played the first edition? If so, how was it?
>>
>>54509198
I'm mad as fuck they don't offer an upgrade kit without the new minis.
I'm not paying $30 when base game retails for $60, and all I want are cards and shit that aren't fucking typo'd, which I wouldn't fucking need if they had a better proofreader and could write a fucking manual.
>>
>>54504077
The appeal of GoT is character development, agreed? Unfortunately character development only sells HBO subscriptions, otherwise we would have a Theon Greyjoy Funko Pop and not 4 different versions of dragonlady

What sells and what doesn't is why we will never get good licensed games
>>
>>54509651
>never get good licensed games
We've got plenty of good ones, there's a lack of a perfect world shaking one, but plenty of good. War of the Ring/Five Armies is wonderfully thematic, BSG is good; SoA isn't exactly the best theme pasting application, but the game is fastastic. X-Wing is great thematic and gives you a toolkit for not only dogfights and missions, but also full campaigns (HotAC is loads of fun); Legendary Encounters are well recieved. Dune......... great now I'm pissed off again.
>>
>>54509843
>>54509651
There's also Sons of Anarchy, Spartacus, and almost every Trek game.
>>
>>54509874
I figured STEEV would be around to mention Spartacus if I brought up Dune, seems to work well as a summon. Trek games imo tend to be lesser versions of their differently themed, or with Attack Wing, their SW, brothers.
>>
>>54509920
>Trek games imo tend to be lesser versions of their differently themed
Ascension is a completely new thing though afaik rather than just a retheme, and Frontier allegedly has better component quality than Mage Knight with only a few small rules tweaks (and the possibility of burning planets to ashes as Picard).
>>
>>54509843
None of those games encapsulate what is good about the source material (except BSG), which is the original point I was supporting. I'll agree that all of those games are good (except BSG and Legendary)
>>54509874
Almost all Star Trek games are garbage but also I can't stand Star Trek
>>
>>54509987
At least we agree that Legendary is shit.
I have no idea how the players are supposed to win Legendary Alien at more than two players, it's as if they never bothered to playtest it.
>>
>>54509920
Fleet Captains has no superior star wars equivalent.
And I've been hesitant to bring up spartacus, I've spent too much time posting about my issues with it and not enough time working on gutting and rebuilding the combat system recently.
>>
>>54509987
I'll agree to your point on character dev being the selling point of ASoiaF, but Star Wars is definitely about battles in space so we're going to have to disagree there. That said Rebellion would encapsulate the entire source material and it's quite good.

>>54510035
You also refuse to embrace the co-op but we all have our flaws. I did forget Fleet Captains, but I for whatever reason my brain keeps thinking there's a generic fantasy of that. Prolly Ascendency bleeding into my memory, though it could also be the Clix system it uses making me thinking Heroclix.
>>
>>54510095
If all I wanted from Star Wars was cool space battles, why isn't the newest Star Trek series the best scifi series of all time?
>>
>>54509198
Argent is the tits, pretty much one of the few worker placements games that actually interests me. The hidden information with most consortium voters apart from most influence (VP) and most supporters makes winning the game a lot less straight-forward, which I appreciate a lot as it creates a lot of tension with trying to figure out what people are doing, which generally becomes more obvious in the later rounds. Massive amount of variability in set-up and the large sizes of the various decks (which is more pronounced with the expansions) gives a lot of replay value. One could argue that it's more tactical than strategic, but I don't think that's an issue because I've always had plenty of post-game discussion about Argent.
>>
>>54510156
Because Star Trek post Patrick-Stewart is garbage? Also no T-65B or TIE/IN
>>
make
>>
new
>>
thread
>>
>>54511068
You do realize the bump limit is 310 and /tg/ moves as slow as fucking molasses right?
>>
>>54511189
nope

why is it 310
>>
>>54511313
Because on /tg/ some threads can make 10 posts last 12 hours.
>>
File: monopoly.png (291KB, 1800x1800px) Image search: [Google]
monopoly.png
291KB, 1800x1800px
>>54511344
why not 320 then?

some threads would get TWO extra hours
>>
>>54511386
I mean 24
>>
Does /bgg/ include card games like Fluxx?
>>
>>54511416
yes
>>
>>54511416
>>54514247
Do you want to talk about Fluxx or something or were you just confirming for future reference?
>>
>>54510032
It's entirely possible they didn't, given that they replaced the rules for larger groups in Legendary Encounters: Firefly. It's good with two, though.
>>
>>54515915
it was just the only example I could think of that was all card but yet not Dominion.
>>
>>54516937
Generally non-CCG card games get lumped in more with board games/gamers. If we didn't like games that used mostly cards, TS wouldn't be so beloved
>>
New thread

>>54517926
>>54517926
Thread posts: 310
Thread images: 52

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.