[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 341
Thread images: 52

>Unearthed Arcana: Greyhawk Initiative
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UAGreyhawkInitiative.pdf

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Alternate Trove:
https://dnd.rem.uz/5e%20D%26D%20Books/

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread:
>>54368117

What's the worst monster to get surprised by?
>>
>>54376138
>What's the worst monster to get surprised by?
Basilisk or some other death-glare type
>>
Worst? If you're a martial character probably a rust monster
>>
>>54376138
>What's the worst monster to get surprised by?- 1 post shown.
Any kind of paralyzing mimic
Doppleganger \ changeling with powerful surprise round attacks
A squad of crossbowmen (assuming we can redo it as a single "mob" monster)
>>
>Death Ray (Recharge 5-6). The catoblepas targets a creature that it can see within 30 feet of it. The target must make a DC 16 Constitution saving throw, taking 36 (8d8) necrotic damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one. If the saving throw fails by 5 or more,the target instead takes 64 necrotic damage. The target dies if reduced to 0 hit points by this ray.

This seems in incredibly OP for a CR 5 creature
>>
>>54376188
>something that dies in four hits from a fucking rock and doesn't wouldn't even destroy armor of any value at the level you can't blow it up immediately
>>
>>54376224
Depends on how you play it I assume

A white dragon wyrmling can fairly reliably take down some parties assuming it's able to fly around and attack solely with breath weapon
>>
What's an appropriate way to react in-game to a party member that's been a racist bitch to everyone? It's a homebrew race for witcher
>>
>>54376275
>fighting a white dragon wyrmling in SKT
>run up a wall towards the ceiling
>shadowstep while in the darkness
>fall onto the wyrmling with an open bag of holding
Of course, it got its head blown off by an ancient blue dragon's breath weapon not half an hour later, but oh well.
>>
>>54376224
On average it's only going to get to do that once per encounter
>>
>>54376138
>What's the worst monster to get surprised by?
Assuming absolutely no meta knowledge, I'd imagine a Nilbog would be utter ass to fight.
>>
>Horizon Walker: Planar Warrior
>At 3rd level, you learn to draw on the energy of the planes to augment your attacks.

>As a bonus action, choose one creature you can see within 30 feet of you. Until the end of this turn, your attacks against that creature ignore its damage resistances, and the next time you hit it on this turn, it takes an additional 1d6 force damage.

what is the best way to use this? So far all I can think of is magic initiate poison spray.
>>
>>54376293
Contrive a situation whereby they fail a task that the races they despise complete effortlessly and then rescue them, leading to a heartwarming moment where the racist learns that it's what's inside the heart that counts and the power of friendship blossoms.
>>
>>54376293
Use her SHAMEFUL RACIAL WEAKNESSES and your INNATE RACIAL STRENGTHS to show that you're better
>>
>>54376236
>>54375232
Sorry, have a bonus:
>level 11 fighter with PAM
>Make up to 5 attacks in a normal round
>8 attacks with action surge
>9 with haste on that
>1d10(average 6.3)+5(str)+3(magicalbonus)+8d6 per hit
>1d4(average3)+5+3+8d6 on bonus attack
>+12 to hit
>During this minute you heal to full every turn

>You can do 8d10+1d4+72+72d6 in a round with only basic buffs and simple requirements and resources that refresh on short and long rests
>3+6.3*8+72+3.5*72 damage
>average 377 damage using attacks that have +12 to hit
>When not using your resources, you do perhaps about half this damage every turn

And again, while you put your life in danger due to massive damage, just stop being a pussy and heal yourself 1 HP every time you go down.
>>
File: Enchantment Gems.png (146KB, 1794x884px) Image search: [Google]
Enchantment Gems.png
146KB, 1794x884px
>>54376138
Assassins, Doppelganger, and of course Ropers...

ALSO, reposting from last thread.
Alright, I feel instead of a giant wall of text a card might make this easier to digest.

What do you guys think about these? They are gems designed to give the player a little more customization for their items.

Should the slotted items require attunement? What would you change about them?
>>
File: g_desertcanyon.png (1MB, 896x896px) Image search: [Google]
g_desertcanyon.png
1MB, 896x896px
RPGMaker + GIMP makes for some pretty easy map-making.
>>
>>54376327
You'll be losing the d6 of Force damage tho.

However, the Magic Initiate Druid for Guidance, Poison Spray, and maybe Healing Word on a WIS-focused Ranger build might be worthwhile.
>>
File: paladin_by_thedurrrrian-d6agj47.jpg (332KB, 1280x1811px) Image search: [Google]
paladin_by_thedurrrrian-d6agj47.jpg
332KB, 1280x1811px
Anyone tried playing a sorcadin (pal2/sorcX) ? Looks like it could be a quite cool combination.
>>
>>54376386
Kinda videogamey but I'm not too booty bothered by it. The effects seem reasonably balanced.

go full retard and make different effects and interactions based on the kinds of gems you have slotted, like rune words from Diablo
>>
>>54376188
i think black ooze are way worse
>>
My dm seriously considered banning the chaotic neutral alignment for player characters to stop us from lolrandoms. Is this reasonable?
>>
>>54376544
Just don't use alignments.
>>
>>54376405
I'm really tempted to follow up on your your idea, anon. How hard is stitching?
>>
>>54376138
A horde of gibbering mouthers in a very cramped space. Good luck doing anything. At all.
>DC 10 strength per mouther to move
>DC 10 wisdom per mouther to even take an action
>Oh you failed the DC 10 wisdom against one? Best case you move randomly and get far enough away, worst case hit something random next to you
>>
Are there any good modules out there that focus on the feywild? I wanna do some stuff with it, but I'm unoriginal and need a base.
>>
After my current campaign, we're doing some one-shots. Anyone familiar with Tomb of Horrors? My DM really wants to do that.
>>
>>54376477
>Different effects and interactions
No lie anon, I have been thinking about this. But boy that's a ton of work and I feel like it would get far too complicated quickly. Plus they already work with magic items so...

The gems do stack though and I do have other gems with the same effect with a different element, spell, and explosion save.

>Ruby (Fire): Burning Hands, Dexterity
>Topaz (Radiant): Guiding Bolt, Wisdom
>Amethyst (Psychic): Dissonant Whispers, Wisdom
>Obsidian (Necrotic): Arms of Hadar, Constitution
>Opal (Ice): Ice Knife, Dexterity
>Amber (Lightning): Thunder Wave, Dexterity
>Emerald (Poison): Ray of Sickness, Constitution
>>
>>54376293
Have some raceplay stuff with him, no homo tho.
>>
File: u_desertcanyon.png (361KB, 896x896px) Image search: [Google]
u_desertcanyon.png
361KB, 896x896px
>>54376558
I don't do any stitching. Here's my process:
First, I made a giant map in RPG Maker and put a bunch of 3x3 squares of the various tiles I want to use as textures. Cap that and put it in GIMP, then shave off 32 pixels from each side so you're left with just the 32x32 in the center that's the main texture. Copy that, then Edit -> Paste As Pattern.

Then I make an actual map in RPG Maker. Something real simple. For example, here's the original version of that map. It's just the dominant ground type and the walls. Cap that and put it in GIMP again.
>>
>>54376293
Are you a witcher? If so it depends on your school and the individual witcher. Geralt and Regis talk about what usually happens if he did fail a contract

>Chased out if town by peasants
>Merchants demanding their down payment back
>Nobles sending hounds after them
>Royalty generally imprisonment and potentially execution depending on what he fucked up with
>>
File: p_desertcanyon.png (1MB, 896x896px) Image search: [Google]
p_desertcanyon.png
1MB, 896x896px
>>54376710
Now those textures come into play. On a separate layer, I use the Clone tool with the patterns I previously pasted in and some random brushes to make some more organic-looking variations in the terrain. Anything that goes over borders can just be deleted with the selection tool. Adjust the color of the layer or transparency options until it looks decent, and make new layers for each pattern you want to use.

After that, Dodge/Burn tool to darken or lighten areas for even more variation.

Then I'm going to take the completed image and upload it to Roll20 and populate it with little doodads and shit like trees, smaller rocks, and other area dressing in the form of tokens which I've cropped from the RPGMaker tilesets and saved as their own tiny images. This way they can be scaled to appropriate sizes and moved around or deleted as necessary, or I can reuse the same map for different areas by changing out the item/tokens on it.
>>
File: g_mountainpass.png (1MB, 896x896px) Image search: [Google]
g_mountainpass.png
1MB, 896x896px
>>54376781
Oh, forgot a step. After that image is made and saved, it's imported into RPGMaker as a Parallax Background. Copy the area I'm working on, delete everything on it so it's a transparent field, and set this area's parallax background as the image from GIMP. Then shadows and those half-elevation things can be added, since they are transparent autotiles that go on top of other shit but they don't really place nice with the other autotiles.

Sometimes I'll edit a few pixels to make more seamless borders between things. Like the little gully south of the road here was a ditch autotile that I actually drew over the taller cliff, but copy/pasted a non-ditch version of the cliff over it so that it appears that the ditch ends right at the border of the elevation.
>>
>playing CoS
>Lawful good rogue
>Locking chests more securely so the party can't still from the good citizens of Barovia
>>
>>54376734
She's the only witcher in the party and apparently their race is endangered to the point that the population of them in the current setting is in the single digits. I also haven't played the witcher so I don't know anything about them lore-wise
>>
>>54376875
So uhh...do the good citizens of Barovia have the means to open their chests that now have upgraded security?
>>
>>54376224
I'd probably remove the 64 damage on getting an 11
>>
>>54376327
Use your sword
>>
how's college of swords for a bard? I just want to play some kind of flashy charismatic swordsmen that also knows magic.
>>
>>54376327
poison spray requires a save, not an attack roll, so it's not technically an "attack"
>>
File: 1498463071939.jpg (55KB, 579x818px) Image search: [Google]
1498463071939.jpg
55KB, 579x818px
>>54376984
I like adding in some levels of Rogue Swashbuckler, adds a little more damage for my blade works.
>>
I need some magical items for a Moon Druid Wildshaping furfag.

The only one I've found is Insignia of Claws from ToD, but I was looking for something a bit weaker.
>>
>>54376605
It's more of a puzzle dungeon than it is straight-up combat. You'll probably want backup characters.
>>
>>54376893
Oh ok

Witchers are heavily mutated humans taken as children to be turned into perfect monster hunters, at first they were considered alright and necessary but as humanity got better at building walls and had more organized soldiers to fight monsters they became more and more mistrusted and soon after hated

Typically they wander the world alone, looking for contracts to earn their pay, some turn to other lines of work like guards for royalty, fencing instructors, and in the case of cat school - hated even amongst other schools of witchers - hired assassins

They're immune to diseases, have superhuman senses and reactions, pretty damn safe from poison (though it does work in larger doses)

In general people are going to hate the PC, won't be outright trying to kill them but the PC won't be trusted and good luck talking to kids because people know witchers are created by witchers taking people's kids to be trained/mutated if they couldn't pay the bounty.

Witchers are super rare like you said, and all male. There's only a single known "witcher" that's a woman but even she isn't technically a witcher because she didn't undergo all the mutations but instead has some weird magic bloodline stuff. All the various schools of witchers have been attacked and destroyed at some point so the knowledge of how to make more is long gone, but most witchers wouldn't even want to put people through the process since it kills 90% of the people going through it
>>
>>54376629
>gems do stack though
As in multiple uses or enhanced effects?

>list of other gems
I'd say swap obsidian for onyx, it's a (semi?)precious stone compared to obsidian, which a weapon could be made of.
>>
>>54376710
>>54376781
>>54376838
Interesting method, not what I expected. I might give it a try myself and see what I can get away with. Thanks for the insight.
>>
>>54376908
Lawful good doesn't mean intelligent, anon.
>>
>>54377062
>Gems do stack though.
Apologies for not being specific I meant effects. Example:

>My longsword has 2 slots
>"I put a Rare Ruby and Rare Amethyst in my weapon"
>I use my bonus action to activate my gems.
>Your longsword now deals an extra 1d6 Fire and 1d6 Psychic damage until the start of your next turn.

These are infinite use, they are destroyed when you take them out and break them.
>>
>>54377062
>Obsidian
Good call, I'll change it.
>>
>>54376188
Rust monsters are harmless. Throw them just a few daggers and they'll leave you alone. They're explicitly happy to much on any kind of metal.
>>
>>54377059
Wow, that sounds like a pretty sad existence. I'll just let her be then, knowing she isn't even a member of the dying race she's so proud of is good enough. Thanks anon
>>
How would you make mechs work in 5E? Just a buff to health and attack, with unhealable damage taken to it unless or until you can repair?
>>
>>54377222
this would not work for a fighter in plate or chain mail
But the picture of a wizard throwing a iron ingot at a rust monster and walking past it to the crypt it was staying in is pretty sick
>>
>>54376138
can someone in the 5eg discord can confirm that c0re is as thirsty for cammy as he was for lyn
>>
>>54376893
>she
>witcher
Literally impossible in universe. They're like space marines in 40k, the shit that makes them witchers just outright doesn't work on girls. Hell it only just works on boys with a staggering mortality rate.
>>
Campaign is probably going into extremely high powered places and somehow got my dm to let me play a oathbreaker/hexblade, I'm honestly all right with the damage but what else could I get from here?

Right now oathbreaker 7/ hexblade 1, not sure what spells to take from the warlock's list nor how to proceed from here. Probably 8th pally level to max CHA and then go lock 2 or 3 for invocations/2nd level spellslots?
>>
how viable is it to DM an impromptu campaign with random people and have nothing prepared
>>
>>54376472
bump
>>
>>54377410
Depends on how good of a DM you are.
>>
>>54377410
If everybody is creative enough it's pretty easy.
>>
>>54377410
Players familiar enough could in theory throw characters together very quickly, but even then I'd say it depends heavily on the type of player
>>
>>54377316
You could do that, or you could give it vehicle rules with the damage threshold or something.

With normal HP rules
>Mech takes a hit from an orc with a magic missile launcher
>Loses HP, can't recover

Damage thresholds
>Orc with a magic missile launcher
>It either hits and is shrugged off ("Armor") or hits and deals enough to chip through the armor
>>
>>54377410
Works well if you know the PHB off by heart as you can just say 'Okay, yeah, everyone's starting at level 3, choose a class and what sort of a thing you want to be in your class and I'll point out your class abilities, I'll show you how to allocate your stats and we'll get started'.

You can go quite a while just by letting players ask what they want to do 'I want to restrain this guy's leg' and then you can just rather than explaining the full grappling rules just say 'okay, roll athletics'.

Of course, if your players are experienced, it's even easier.
>>
How do Goblin names work in D&D do they have a single name like "Krug"? Or do they have tribe names like "Krug Headsplitter"?
>>
>>54377578
Judging by the way Chris Perkins picks names its stuff like
>Rottooth
>Greensnot
>Ironsnout
etc
>>
>>54377316
>>54377524
>they don't know that the sincere wishes of a waifu in another giant death robot can repair the damage of your giant death robot
Niggas gotta play some SRW.
>>
So my group is taking a break from our campagin for one or two sessions. One of the players wanted to run a 1/2 shot. We are a pretty lax group, and generally play slowly and mess about, with roleplay and the like. These are the rules he gave us:

> Point buy, no starting equipment at all.
> Build your characters up to level 10 (as in make your choices as to what you want to get now), but everyone will start at level 1.
> No clerics or sorcerers in this game.
> You will level pretty quick, but you can't get your class/archetype bonuses until you train for them/pay for them at a trainer.
> The above rule also includes spells and cantrips. Copying spells from scrolls/books, or learning from trainers, is instant. The various Savant features for wizards lower the cost of spells from that school as per normal, and have the following effect: Spells from your school always count as prepared.
> Short rests are 5 minutes long. You may not take more than 2 short rests between a long rest.
> This will be pretty hack-and-slash, but your actions have consequences.
> Levels are milestone based
> Because this is combat heavy, I'm Implementing a strict 30 second rule to declaring combat actions. If you haven't decided what you want to do in combat, your turn will be passed.
> You are all members of the local militia.

Now two sessions gives us about 6 hours, if I'm being generous. Needless to say I have reservations. I like combat, but I play for story. Has anyone experienced a game like this before? What character should I play?
>>
>>54377578
i think they have personality/feature based names like >>54377609 said
but if they are a tribe or its a goblin city with multiple clans/tribes i think its somthing akin to
Rot-Tooth Moonkin
Pretty much describe them and their tribe in a name is the best way to make a name for a goblin
>>
>>54377714
>run a 1/2 shot where you'll gain nine levels
>>
>>54377714
>5 minute short rests
>play a fighter or warlock and rejoice
>even better play a Fighter 2/Warlock 8 and let the good times roll with Agonizing meme with Action Surge.
>>
>>54377829
>Moonkin
Now I'm picturing a Goblin balance druid.
>>
>>54377873
when i made that name i was picturing a cross between druids and rogues
>>
>Base the Feywild off of Wuxia, with eladrin being the dominant species
Good or Bad idea?
>>
>>54377946
Could be fun. Would the players also have the ability to do Wuxia shit or would they basically be the "normies" in movies that watch the acrobatics as they happen?
>>
Can a warforged consciousness be transferred to a new body?

Can a warforged be afflicted by lycanthropy or vampirism?

Can a warforged become a lich?

Tell me about your warforged character.
>>
>>54377046
A noose
>>
>start new campaign at level 1
>last finished at level 15

Its hilarious seeing my players still act like level 15s. One rushed, solo, two worgs which were unaware of them. Went down instantly and was only 1 point of damage off an instant death

Kek
>>
File: 1489200791552.jpg (22KB, 403x403px) Image search: [Google]
1489200791552.jpg
22KB, 403x403px
>party are CR fans
>constantly have to ignore whatever injoke they're making about it
>zero interest in watching it
>thinking of DMing after this current campaign is done
>they want me to run off the CR book
>one of them will even send me a copy of the PDF

All I know is something about some dumb goldfish incident and no one actually stays dead. At least if I run it off that book they'll stay interested I guess?
>>
>>54378467

CR?
>>
>>54376630
Fuck that. All of the homo
>>
Anyone have the Tal'Dorei pdf yet? Got it on pre-order at Amazon for a friend but might switch over to the official store if no one has the pdf yet.
>>
File: 1500339471377.jpg (79KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1500339471377.jpg
79KB, 1280x720px
what are some classes for elves
>>
>>54378539
Critical Role
And is the book even out yet?
>>
>>54378596
>US$50 int shipping
Jesus Christ, I take it back, sorry if that got anyone's hopes up.
>>
>>54378081
Players would probably get some short rest abilities to balance it out, but wouldn't be masters like the natives.
>>
>>54378610
Barbarian
Bard
Cleric
Druid
Fighter
Monk
Sorcerer
Warlock
Wizard
>>
>>54377410
Disclose it to your players, but if you like improv, it should work just fine.
As others mentioned, if you have good players, it might go better than a "prepared" campaign. Just remember "Yes, and"
>>
>>54378610
Buttsluts.
>>
>>54378610
Artificer
Barbarian
Bard
Cleric
Druid
Fighter
Monk
Mystic
Paladin
Ranger
Rogue
Sorcerer
Warlock
Wizard
>>
>>54378467
The worst thing you could do is DM something you don't know about.

>DM: keyleth looks at you and says "My party members died long ago, I and Vax'ildan are the only survivors"
>Player X: "Wait, Vax can't be alive, he have to die because the Raven Queen said"

It sucks.
>>
File: cornraven.jpg (74KB, 700x714px) Image search: [Google]
cornraven.jpg
74KB, 700x714px
It seems that by RAW, a Raven Queen patron Warlock can cast Invisibility, and then use Soul of the Raven without breaking it. Invisibility specifies it ends when a target "attacks or casts a spell," and Soul of the Raven isn't explicitly a spell, so in theory a player would be able to cast Invisibility, merge with their raven, and then fly away if they wanted to badly enough. It seems like some pretty strong utility, even if it's a little costly for someone with as few spell slots as a Warlock, but Invisibility lasts up to a full hour so they could always be ready for a short rest afterwards. Would you let this fly at your table?
>>
Why is no one talking about the new books coming out?
>>
>>54378703
>>54378766
no I meant like what should an elf be
>>
>>54378778
Because we've been talking about them almost every thread for a month. What did you want to talk about in particular?
>>
Would I be able to cast poison spray if one of my hands is covering an enemy's mouth/ nose
>>
>>54378786
Generally an elf should have a class, especially if they're a PC.
>>
>>54377359
Yep. I'll confirm it.
>>
File: dd.jpg (54KB, 720x400px) Image search: [Google]
dd.jpg
54KB, 720x400px
>>54378778
When they come out people will start talking about them, well, Xanathar's Guide to Everything will be UA stuff and we know people talk about that already.
>>
>>54378769
Ha nah fuck that, it wouldn't be near the continuity of the show. I assume the book is more about the world, the history, how to participate in your own version of that setting instead of retreading the show itself. It could be fun to see their reactions as someone who only has the setting information but no idea how it was treated by the original cast runs the world.

At the same time I'm already tired of 'omg yor character is just like Scanlan!' remarks that getting 'wow this is just like episode blahblah!' could be shitty.
>>
>>54378821
Xanathar's Guide isn't just going to be UA, you know. It'll have much more than that ;)
>>
>>54378801
Yes, as long as your other hand is free. I hope you're not implying you're going to get any sort of extra benefit for casting poison spray really close to an enemy's mouth though.
>>
>>54378801
Sure. Spell says it comes from only one palm
>>
>>54377360
i don't think that's right, ive read the books and played the games and i dont think its ever out right said that Witchers cant be female
its mostly a constitution thing
>>
>>54378786
>
>>54378766
>>
>>54378786
read the flavour text for the race or go google a wiki on them
>>
File: giphy-facebook_s.gif (53KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
giphy-facebook_s.gif
53KB, 480x270px
>>54378858
Are you Jeremy Crawford!?
>>
File: vKDXo.jpg (49KB, 331x331px) Image search: [Google]
vKDXo.jpg
49KB, 331x331px
>>54378319
>>
>>54376472
If you think it's a cool concept, go for it. It'll probably work pretty decently.

The reason it's not really talked about though is because if you wanted to do that type of build, going Paladin 2/Valor Bard X would essentially be the same thing but better in every way. Hell, from a purely mechanical stadpoint i'd rather do Paladin 2/ Warlock X.
>>
>>54378319
Up to the DM.

Yes.

Yes, but the method for a PC becoming a lich is up to the DM.

I don't have one.
>>
>>54378319
>>54378962

I believe all of that stuff applies to humanoids, not constructs.
>>
Hi /5eg/ I was just informed that I'm going to DM a 5e campaign. I have a 3.5 campaign I plan to adapt to 5e. However never playing 5e, is there any red flags to look out for in 5e that are game breaking (such as the 3.5 spiked chain) ?
>>
>>54376472
What good is a paladin that's never going to take an oath?
>>
>>54379002
Warforged aren't constructs.
>>
>>54379035

They aren't? Weird.
>>
File: planescape is kill.png (44KB, 586x339px) Image search: [Google]
planescape is kill.png
44KB, 586x339px
>>54378858
Hey Crawford, fuck you for killing planescape
>>
>>54379061
Please spoiler that gore
>>
File: 1350622244208.gif (979KB, 500x461px) Image search: [Google]
1350622244208.gif
979KB, 500x461px
>>54376293
WEW

The Witcher world is super racist anon, please don't apply your cucked opinions to a well known setting.

Even in Faerun it is farcical to imagine that all these races that constantly war and fight each other would get along at all.

>I know the Orc horde overrun Mirabar and genocided the Dwarves but not all Orcs eh?

Half orcs are rape babies
>>
File: 1494277847083.gif (2MB, 320x321px) Image search: [Google]
1494277847083.gif
2MB, 320x321px
>>54379061
What the fuck?
>>
File: 1499810981278.jpg (190KB, 1280x1652px) Image search: [Google]
1499810981278.jpg
190KB, 1280x1652px
>>54378319

>Can a warforged consciousness be transferred to a new body?
Ask your DM.
>Can a warforged be afflicted by lycanthropy or vampirism?
Technically they are alive so sure but ask your DM.

>Can a warforged become a lich?
Undead Robot sounds silly, but probably. Ask your DM.

>Tell me about your warforged Character
I have a Warforged Pugilist who was sheltered heavily by its crazy master, its got a little fish out of water kinda story, but is also a pretty brutish creature when necessary.
It's not very interesting, but you asked.
>>
>>54378319
i dont actually know that much about warforged but they have souls right?
so i would assume in order
Yes just as any person can
Maybe depends on the dm
Yes same as anybody else
i wanted to play a mystic war-forged made out of psionicly active crystals they served as a power source for his basic activities and his class abilities
back when whoever made them (gnomes or dwarves most likely up to the dm) it was a time of war and change within the kingdom, rather quickly as they were made they were forgotten after their makers were slain for being on the wrong side of history
my character wakes up some time around finding his power source some where in the 40-80%'s realizing his fellow psi forged are also in low power reserves he seeks out these crystals to help recharge his people
was 100% up to the dm how rare they were or if they were even still around my guy was basically gonna be a chill dude who told stories about shit that happend like a long long time ago and be confused about some of the power players now a days and with a constant side quest of *find the crystals dude* while he travels with the party
>>
>>54379006
>is there any red flags to look out for in 5e that are game breaking (such as the 3.5 spiked chain) ?
Don't know if gamebreaking, never played 3.5, but:
The feats Great Weapon Master, Sharpshooter, and Polearm Master are quite strong.
Variant Human is OP as the benefits of a feat surpass the downsides of being human.
Don't put Shadow (CR 1/2) against low-level players, they're deadly.
>>
>>54379006
If you are allowing UA material, don't allow players using it to mutliclass. Multiclassed UA is where the most broken combinations come from.

Also if you are allowing UA material, suggest that players interested in playing a ranger use the revised ranger. The PHB ranger is very weak.
>>
>>54378770
Another play could just cast fly on them beforehand for a similar effect. If you wanted it to scout you could just do the same thing with a familiar, if you're doing it to travel unnoticed then that just seems like a cool use of a class feature. Doesn't sound the broken imo.

Can you give an example of a scenario you're trying to avoid?
>>
>>54378858
I really want them to give us some spoiler, I need to know what is in the book...
>>
>>54379060
It is, but I imagine they wanted to avoid any potential weirdness caused by a PC being a non-standard type.
>>
>>54378872
Nah one of the earlier books specifies at one point, although I can't remember which. It's something to do with hormonal differences, the trial is already extremely hard to pull off correctly and the hormonal response in boys is specifically different than the one girls get under high adrenaline situations, and that chemical response is one of the things required for the trial to work properly. It's such a complex and frankly horrifying procedure those little differences in body structure are the difference between a 70% mortality rate and a 100% mortality rate.

They probably could've made a different procedure tailored to girls to get female witchers but the setting is very firmly influenced by a time when women were little more than property and their ability to bear children is of maximum importance. Letting a girl become a witcher and thus sterile, especially when she's physically weaker than a man anyway and thus more likely to get killed by her first contract, just isn't something they ever considered.
>>
>>54379035
>>54379060
They are "living constructs" in 5e. That's all I know. I hope I helped.
>>
>>54379061
>metasetting
what does that mean
>>
File: CyitXJ5UkAQ1lxk.png (90KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
CyitXJ5UkAQ1lxk.png
90KB, 256x256px
>>54379124
If Mystic is in the book i'm gonna laugh, and laugh HARD.
>>
File: Were-Car.jpg (81KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
Were-Car.jpg
81KB, 720x540px
>>54378319
>Can a warforged consciousness be transferred to a new body?
DM's discretion. In general, I'd say no. Maybe a relatively high-level spell like Resurrection could be altered to do so (with a % chance of failure).
>Can a warforged be afflicted by lycanthropy or vampirism?
Sure. See pic related.
>Can a warforged become a lich?
Sure. A bit strange, but sure.
>>
>>54379147
"Living construct" is language carried over from earlier editions where they were actually the construct type, but with a bunch of special rules attached. In this case it doesn't have any mechanical meaning, just flavor. 5e PC races are always humanoids unless something says explicitly otherwise.
>>
>>54379112
>>54379116

Thank you for the advice!
>>
>>54378861
I was hoping to fill them up with it like a balloon, no extra damage or benefits, its just for fun
>>
>>54379078
>>54379075
Planescape isn't dead. There just aren't any books to announce currently. At the moment WotC is focusing on sustainable growth. If something in UA doesn't get at least 80% approval, then it's either scrapped or retooled, depending on feedback. It's for this reason that new settings are slow coming. We're listening to the community and moving away from the Sword Coast for now, but it's not like we can just write a book on Athas or Planescape in a couple of months. There are too many subsystems that are integral to the setting for it to work that don't currently exist. Upcoming UAs will focus on things like weapon breakage and other systems because we want to expand not only the players' and DM's options, but also our own.

>>54379181
Mystic will not be featured in the book, as it's still quite a ways from appearing in any official 5e material.

>>54379178
The metasetting is the assumed shared universe. A theoretically infinite number of worlds exist on the Prime Material Plane, but the Outer Planes are assumed to be shared between settings.
>>
If I was going to use initiative score from the DMG (page 270), would it be a bad idea to make the initiative score 10 + Dex mod + proficiency? Or even Dex stat + proficiency?
>>
>>54379181
Haven't JC or Mearls already said there won't be no Mystic or Artificer this year?
>>
>>54379112
The spiked chain wasn't really gamebreaking in 3.5. It was basically only used for trip builds, which were considered broken by some, but in practice were such one trick ponies that they were really just another trap option. If there was ever a problem with it I'd say it was that it's thematically fucking weird for so many fighters to be using chains as their main weapon.
The big 4 feats are probably the closest comparison, but it's still probably not a very close one. They're pretty centralizing, but there's plenty of reason to play a sword and board type or whatever instead
>>
File: ss+(2017-07-17+at+10.43.30).jpg (44KB, 347x166px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2017-07-17+at+10.43.30).jpg
44KB, 347x166px
>>54379178
In the DMG, it explains that every setting that's ever been played by any group is considered part of the larger D&D multiverse.
>>
>>54377389
anyone?
>>
File: 1378106800094 (1).jpg (245KB, 714x522px) Image search: [Google]
1378106800094 (1).jpg
245KB, 714x522px
Are shields useful? Feels like it'd be better to just use a 2hander and try to get your enemies dead as fast as you can
>>
>>54379383
+2 AC is nice
>>
File: Dragonlance is kill.png (34KB, 606x354px) Image search: [Google]
Dragonlance is kill.png
34KB, 606x354px
>>54379220
So what you're saying is that Dragonlance is dead and isn't coming back, but Planescape might come back. Did you kill it, or did Mearls?
>>
>>54379127
at the very least as far as the wolf school is concerned at least
the books ARE from a very Geralt perspective

and id argue of the station women inhabit in the Witcher verse. especially since some of the bigger power players in the world are female magic users, and then there are royals and nobles where it can hardly matters what sex you are as long as you have gold and influence to sling. though they would hardly need to be Witchers so i guess that's moot. but the types of kids who'd end up as potential Witchers exists in both sexes.

but this is all speculation so whatever, though i think some old Witcher comic had female Witchers in some of the other schools
>>
>>54379383
Martials are only relevant if they take GWM and PAM (or SS and CBM for a ranged option), if you want to have a shield play a Valor Bard or a Hexblade (With EB, don't fall for the Blade meme, it's pretty bad)
>>
>>54379447
PAM?
>>
>>54379480
Polearm Master
>>
>>54379383
Generally speaking the relative value of a shield over a two handed weapon goes down every time you potentially attack, but I think there is some value in having the most AC possible if you're the guy who keeps getting attacked
>>
>>54378786
Floating in magma, because their pansy bodies couldn't even sink.
>>
>>54378786
Exterminated. Fucking knife-eared bastards. We must secure the existence of our people and a future for Dwarven children.
>>
>>54379426

Mercer's campaign guide
>>
>>54378610
Elves don't get a bonus to Str, so Barbarian, Pally, and melee Fighter are all subpar choices. Other than that, they can do pretty much anything. Their 3 subraces allow you to pursue Int, Wis, or Cha based characters with ease.
>>
>>54379575
Oh god does this mean my DM will start running shit directly from that garbage
>>
>>54378596
>>54379575
>>
>>54368484
I think he's more guilty of the poorly tested and badly mathed changes that he accuses the PHB of getting from the end of the playtest. It's a collection of feeling-based changes and kneejerk reactions instead of something carefully planned.

It isn't all bad, but that looks like just random luck rather than good design work.
>>54369446
UA ranger doesn't add proficiency on top of the creature's own to hit and loses extra attack, making it weaker if it can't use its pet, and loses the pet's reaction making it weaker at some times when it has the pet. It also has a weaker selection of possible pets with no poison or flying. Beast conclave is better, but not clearly stronger than PHB beast master. It will probably see some nerf to the pet's durability in the final print and I hope it gets extra attack back. The free use of its own initiative balances out a lot of the nerfs so it's only ever slightly more damaging than the PHB option at most.
>>
>>54379383
Take Shield Master and Brawny. RAI the bonus action shove can happen before any of the attacks granted to you by the Attack action. Shove your target prone and then attack them at advantage. Do this every turn.

I've never tried this personally but that's what I'd do.
>>
>>54379383
2h is better solely because of feats.

In a game where feats were disabled, I would sword+board all day
>>
How do I make magic items that are exciting and surprising in a party that has a wizard that insists on ritual casting Identify on everything they come across?

Does Identify let the wizard know literally EVERYTHING about an item? Whether it's cursed?
>>
>>54379610
Thank you, friendly anon. Was hawk-eyeing that thread like a theiving magpie already though.
>>
>>54379123

Soul of the Raven is a bonus action to use, so maybe if the Wizard in the party used Invisibility on him instead it would be easier to abuse. The Warlock in question is a goblin who had terrible dice rolls at character creation, giving him only 14 Dex and 12 Cha to work with, so he's focused almost entirely on scouting and staying out of fights. It's in character for him to use this to be a total coward, so I can see him doing this in the middle of a fight on more than one occasion.
>>
>>54379447

I've not played a whole lot of martials, but one of them was a SS + CBM Fighter, who was almost completely irrelevant until level 9, when I could consistently hit for actual damage, as opposed to inconsistently hitting for actual damage or consistently hitting for negligible damage.
>>
>Want to go first couple levels in fighter
>And then become a paladin

What kind of stuff would do that
>>
File: rich.jpg (57KB, 919x720px) Image search: [Google]
rich.jpg
57KB, 919x720px
>i'm gonna make a grappler based on Macho Man Randy Savage! OHH YEAAH!!! can he be a Monk but use STR instead of DEX?
>i'm gonna be a rogue that steals from the party! whaaaat, it's what my character would do! i'm chaotic neutral, see?
>i'm gonna be a barbarian with low intelligence!! duhhh me talk like tarzan and run into every trap because it would be metagaming if i didn't! role play not roll play!
>i'm gonna be a quirky gnome! teehee look out players i'm casting another illusion :^)
>i'm gonna be an aloof elf ranger! i wanna be a drow, like Drizzt. what do you mean dark elves are mostly evil in your setting? anyway i scoff at everything and wander away from the party, expecting the DM and narrative to follow me
>i'm gonna be a chaotic evil character! i have literally no reason to not kill my party, let alone want to work with them, but whatever!
>i'm gonna be a bard who sleeps with everyone! i roll to seduce the red dragon. NAT TWENTY!!!!!!
>i'm gonna be the sorcerer struggling to come to terms with their powers. the whole narrative better focus on ME and MY development or else

how do i stop myself from killing every person who dares to play anything other than, like, a gruff lawful good dwarf fighter or cleric because that's like the only done-to-death trope that isn't insufferable
>>
>>54379638
I have done this and would recommend. Would also recommend a way to cast jump if on yourself if you're looking for a way to make a str character more fun/have more options in combat than walk into range and cast murder.
>>
>>54379678
Read the DMG section on magic items. Identify doesn't reveal curses. It does reveal everything else though.
>>
Should I go barbarian or fighter for sword & board character? I was thinking of going Battlerager, I don't want to play spellcasters so don't say EK please
>>
>>54379736
You really made my blood boil posting those examples bro. Not cool.
>>
>>54379678
p. 139 of the DMG:
>Most methods of identifying items, including the Identify spell, fail to reveal such a curse. A curse should be a surprise to the item's user when the curse's effects are revealed
>>
>>54379736

The more characters I play that aren't this, and the more posts I see about this shit, the more I want to play something like this. I've only been playing for two years now, and I suppose I've been fortunate enough to not see any of these tropes before, but the less I see it, the more appealing it becomes to me.
>>
>>54379678
You know, Identify requires that you touch the item in question while casting. If you wanted to be a dick, you you could homebrew a cursed item that afflicts any person who touches it for a minute or longer (i.e., the casting time for Identify).
>>
>>54379736
You don't. You have been tempered in the flames of a cruel reality that most peoples tastes are shit. All that's left is to stop giving a fuck
>>
Do people ever actually use the armor donning rules?
>>
>>54379851

I do, even if my DMs don't enforce it. I'm also autistic as fuck.
>>
>>54379767
Fighter is the better option overall but you'll do fine as a barbarian if that's what speaks to you.
>>
>>54379851
Do you mean "do they ever actually come up" or "do people actually adhere to them?"

Either way yes.
>>
>>54379638
You can use the shove to knock people down? That sounds busted
>>
>>54379736
Approach it like any other social faux pas when it's first presented. This'll be easier if it's a single offending player. If you want to be hyperpetty though you could make presumptious sarcastic quips implying you can read their character like the children's literature they stole it from.

Or you could just focus on having fun and let it wash over you but I dunno man up to you.
>>
>>54379851
All my DMs use it, but it's only mattered once, our rogue nearly got killed because he didn't want to waste time putting armor on and ran at a flesh golem naked, thinking he'd just dodge out the way next turn.
>>
>>54379894

It's not. Even if you consistently can knock enemies down, which you can and will, you'll be surprised at how infrequently your party will make use of it, whether it be because they're casters who don't give a shit, ranged attackers who will hate you for it, or other melee attackers who are incapacitated with op-attacks or simply too far away to give a shit, it's not that big a deal.
>>
>>54379894
Why not? It's a normal shove, which can be either 5 feet away or prone. And it's not busted.
>>
So what do you guys think of phoenix sorcerers? I just got through with playing my second session as one and while thematically it's great and I'm having a lot of fun as a hotheaded blaster, the fact that the entire archetype is focused around something I can only activate for 1 minute every long rest feels kinda crappy. I understand that mantle of flame is a strong ability and multiple uses of would be treading the fine line between it being an ok ability and OP as shit, but I feel like being able to use it once per short rest would be alright?

I'm not terribly experienced in dnd and realize I'm probably quite biased towards wanting what I'm playing be good so I'd appreciate input, it just feels kinda underwhelming how rarely I can do it when the party moon druid can turn into all kinds of ruthless shit twice per short rest and still be an effective caster when he isn't wild shaped.
>>
>>54379736
>Gnome illusionist watch out im quirky and casting another illusion :^)
i have to admit i know this is the trope but man that is the most boring way to play a illusionist as a "trickster"
Tricksters have very short character life spans in any competent dm's hands
my last illusionist was hell bent on proving to all scholars of magic that illusion magic was the best school because the strongest illusion mage could convince you without a shred of doubt in your mind that what you were experiencing was real
i had fun with that guy untill the group fell apart dm had burrowing ankheg that troubled a town i used minor illusion to create noise loud enough to rumble the ground more then we where by walking so they would pop out far away from us where we could pepper them with spells and arrows
>>
Anyone got an expanded reincarnate table?
>>
File: 1500164399383.jpg (104KB, 270x400px) Image search: [Google]
1500164399383.jpg
104KB, 270x400px
Friend invited me to his group but I know absolutely nothing. I am reading through the resources in the pastebin, but my actual question here is should I stick to one of the four standard classes and races or am I safe to mix it up very slightly with my first ever character?
>>
>>54379935
im playing one right now and i enjoy the combat but
i did not realize until it was far to late that sorcerers are combat mages 100% of the way through
i tend to enjoy out of combat stuff way more and its fucking with me that most of the spells i have on my spell list involve just doing big amounts of damage
>>
File: 1441486172911.png (266KB, 368x657px) Image search: [Google]
1441486172911.png
266KB, 368x657px
>>54379735
Are you asking how to multiclass?
>>
>>54379990
Is there a class you want to play?
>>
>>54379999
sorry I'm asking how not to wake up one morning with magical powers at level 4
>>
>>54379736
>>i'm gonna be an aloof elf ranger! i wanna be a drow, like Drizzt. what do you mean dark elves are mostly evil in your setting? anyway i scoff at everything and wander away from the party, expecting the DM and narrative to follow me
No joke, I literally had this exact person in the first 5e game I played
Except he played a fallen Aasimar and dual wielded sickles despite having 10 Str because he liked the imagery of "reaping" his enemies
>>
>>54379736
>>i'm gonna be a barbarian with low intelligence!! duhhh me talk like tarzan and run into every trap because it would be metagaming if i didn't! role play not roll play!
I rolled up an Orc Barbarian with 6 int and was gonna do this when I went to AL tomorrow
I actually thought it might be funny
>>
>>54380012
I was wanting to do something that can enchant weapons to give them various effects but from what I'm reading so far, that seems a little complex.
>>
>>54379990
Just pick any race + class that speaks to you. If you're concerned about picking the "right" one, try to fill a role that the party currently lacks.
>>
>>54379851
It's not that I don't. I just don't really get into situations where it matters
>>
>>54380017
RP discovering a cause that you want to champion and swearing an oath
>>
File: dale.jpg (25KB, 307x352px) Image search: [Google]
dale.jpg
25KB, 307x352px
>>54380026
why the fuck wouldn't he refluff a glaive as a scythe

>>54380041
you're not wrong, it WOULD be funny, but it'd be funny for about seven minutes and no more than that.

trust me i made a pugilist monk one time whose gimmick was being a scrappy fucker getting into drunken fights and after like the third "i'm gonna wallop ya!" the joke was fuckin spent
>>
>>54379575
Oh, nice find! I have been meaning to go through and balance some of my magic items. Thanks.
>>
>>54380041
I did this once, but my dm threw an intellect devourer at us first encounter and my character was unconscious for about 2 hours real time
>hey anon, why do you look so pissed off?
>>
>>54379990

Well, if there's a particular race you have in mind that isn't in the core rulebook, you should probably ask your DM about it, just to make sure he can fit you into the setting.
>>
>>54379990

If this is your first time playing D&D, I'd recommend Fighter, Rogue, Barbarian, or Monk. These classes lack magical abilities, which is rather tricky.

Warlock, Ranger, and Paladin have few spells, so if you wanted to dip into magical things, it's a good way to get your feet wet with giving you too many options to confuse yourself with.

Bard, Cleric, Druid, and Wizard basically double the burden of knowledge you have to familiarize yourself with, but if you really wanted to play one, it's not that difficult to grasp if you have a friend who knows what they're doing.

As far as races, go nuts. Really not a whole lot of difference between them.
>>
>>54379991
>most of the spells I have on my spell list involve just doing big amounts of damage
That's primarily what I rolled a sorcerer for honestly. High charisma and being a half elf are a help for social interactions though and I'm quite happy to be the charismatic face of the party smooth talking us around shit. I just really wish mantle of flame was usable more often so I could be blasting hard more often. I might have a talk with my DM and see if we can figure something out with it.

Mantle of flame scorching rays are fucking hilarious though. It's hands down the biggest "had enough of your shit" thing anyone in the party can do to an enemy right now and I love it.
>>
>>54379736
>i'm gonna be the sorcerer struggling to come to terms with their powers. the whole narrative better focus on ME and MY development or else

I played a wild magic sorcerer who just had no idea what the fuck he was doing. He wasnt born with his powers but they were gave to him. But he never struggled to come to terms with his powers he just went out and blasted shit with fireball all day, occasionally one would be cast centered on his face.
>>
>>54380017
A Paladin gains powers by swearing an oath to a god. The question you should be asking is why is your character suddenly devoting himself to a divine purpose? Did something happen during his adventures as a Fighter?
>>
>>54380048

Spellcasting is definitely complex for a total newbie. Lots of options and a lot to keep track of.

I recommend an Eldritch Knight, it's a Fighter subclass that learns half of a spell sheet. Fighters in general, as very straightforward martials, are great for learning the basics, and going Eldritch Knight will ease you into casting as well.

If that's what you plan on doing, your highest stats should be either (STR or DEX), CON, and INT. Choose Strength if you want to wear heavy armor and wield big weapons. Choose Dexterity if you want to wear lighter armor and wield smaller or multiple weapons.
>>
>>54379990
feel free to use anything in the Player's Handbook. Honestly, it's pretty hard to go wrong. Dwarf fighter? Sure. Tiefling warlock? Also cool.

Do be careful about online resources. The website calling itself "D&D wiki" is actually a pile of terrible unbalanced homebrew. If you're new to D&D, it's easy to run into bad resources online. Even if you just stick to official Wizards-produced content like Unearthed Arcana, you can get lost in some weird shit.

But if you just use the Player's Handbook, even a total newbie should be fine. D&D isn't that complicated, you literally just need to read the book.
>>
>>54380041
>6 int
>Literally the intelligence score of an APE
No amount of roleplaying could do that justice, anon.
>>
>>54380101
It isn't about an oath to a god, just an oath. There's a lot of different ways to play it out, but if he's just leveled up and is now only considering it I can't imagine it wouldn't seem a bit forced either way
>>
>>54380137
That's why I asked if something happened during his adventures to prompt such a drastic change. Otherwise you're right, it's gonna feel forced.
>>
Is it just me or is the Adventurer's League module ridiculously undertuned? Just ran The Innocent which is tuned for five 6th level characters and my players (three 5th levels) easily dealt with the combat, even with me increasing the health pools of the enemies beforehand.
>>
>>54380119
>>54380118
>>54380078
>>54380050
Thanks for all of the great info, you guys are pretty friendly in here. I'll look into some of those "lite-magic" classes to get a feel for it, I just want to avoid bogging down the party because they've all played a couple of campaigns and I'm the newbie. I've been sticking to the handbook so far, this shit takes forever to read, man. Again, I appreciate the pointers.
>>
>>54380150
Mechanically speaking I don't get why you'd really even want to go from fighter to paladin in the first five levels anyway. If hamming up the oath is the goal he'd be better off just not using magic until it feels important enough since the first few levels of both classes are basically the same
>>
>>54380163
What were the 3 characters?
>>
>>54380182
Constitution saving throw
>>
>>54380272
As a paladin you're already going to get your charisma bonus to saving throws. Con saves would be better, but I don't think they're really worth getting extra attack later
>>
File: srs.jpg (3KB, 234x160px) Image search: [Google]
srs.jpg
3KB, 234x160px
>>54380272
Nigga there's a fucking feat for that
>>
>>54380017

"Whatever their origin and their mission, paladins are united by their oaths to stand against the forces of evil. Whether sworn before a god’s altar and the witness of a priest, in a sacred glade before nature spirits and fey beings, or in a moment of desperation and grief with the dead as the only witness, a paladin’s oath is a powerful bond. It is a source of pow er that turns a devout warrior into a blessed champion."

Original Paladins (Three Hearts & Three Lions) were simply noble Catholic warriors who, when doing righteous deeds, were able to perform miracles like Jesus did (healing with a touch), and were granted small miracles. If you wanted to go that route, your character would need to find a deity and have a crisis of faith, leading him down a path of piety and worship.

NuPaladins are essentially Jedi who, using their faith and ideals, are able to enact change on a magical level. Essentially you believe in [ideal] SO MUCH that you're actually able to harness it into a real, physical force. If you played Warcraft, then you might be familiar with the concept of The Light; anyone who believed they were righteous enough could be a paladin, even if they were killing babies or pillaging caravans.

5e is very much NuPaladin, though it keeps the trappings of Christian healing and the whole 'Holy Warrior' vibe. What you'd need to do to maintain verisimilitude is dependent on which Oath you're taking. The Oath of Conquest could work well if you were, say, deeply moved by seeing a village overrun by bandits or goblins. The Oath of Devotion is about Freedom and Justice, while Oath of the Ancients is Kindness and Mercy, and then Vengeance goes on to be more anti-evil than good.

Tell me what oath you're looking at and I can help you out.
>>
>>54380017
The more I think about it maybe you just should wake up with paladin powers at level 4. Just say that you had a holy vision in a dream and now you need to free France or whatever
>>
File: ravenmarch_06_by_winona_nelson.jpg (86KB, 655x655px) Image search: [Google]
ravenmarch_06_by_winona_nelson.jpg
86KB, 655x655px
I am planning on running a game where players start at 4th or 5th level and are politically relevant in their home kingdom. Like dukes, barons, guild leaders and the like under a king (low-ish magic setting, think Witcher). I'm working on ideas to allow players to have relevant power in their roles, while not becoming an armchair strategy game. While someone wanting to play a Barbarian chief is going to be more hands-on by virtue of the warrior-centric culture, I want to mix state-craft with adventuring sometimes. Any advice?
>>
Why you faggot are so against homebrew content but are totally ok with UA bullshit?
>>
>>54378467
Even as a fan of the show, the setting is more generic than Forgotten Realms. Don't do it.
>>
>>54380446
Because WotC *usually* knows more about game balance than some literally-who
>>
File: 1499794326225.png (38KB, 499x338px) Image search: [Google]
1499794326225.png
38KB, 499x338px
>>54380446
>Why are you faggots so against dogtripe some idiot who thought he understood 5e churned out in a late afternoon when he thought 'aliens are cool' but are skeptical but often allowing of UA content with various exceptions that's from the official publisher and has had thought put into it by the person who made the rules themselves with the prospects of potentially becoming future main game content?
>>
>>54376340
OR get even angrier and then feel like the lesser races should help you.
>>
File: 1453457345243.jpg (34KB, 342x298px) Image search: [Google]
1453457345243.jpg
34KB, 342x298px
>My first ever campaign, two other newbies in the party alongside one experienced player
>One of them is playing Land Druid
>Roleplays really well, nice succinct backstory that works well in the setting
>RPs conversations effortlessly, very friendly and all around nice person
>Doesn't know what ANY of their abilities, spells or cantrips do

Like, that was my first session EVER and even I know it shouldn't take 10 minutes to figure out that you can just wildshape into a small animal and scurry past the half-asleep guard. No, create/destroy water probably isn't going to be helpful in this situation.

At least GM told them to read up on their spells and they agreed. Hopefully all goes well next week, this group has some nice people in it.
>>
>>54380446
Most homebrew is superfluous. Most homebrew is unbalanced. Most homebrew has poor readability/clarity of intent.

Most UA is not superfluous. Most UA is not unbalanaced, and tends to be underpowered if anything. Most UA has clear RAW/RAI, and you can get official answers for anything that isn't. The best UA will also eventually receive official support/print, meaning playtesting and using UA has value to the product in the long run. Lastly, and its a big factor, wotc has proven that they actually care about and take into account feedback received on UA.
>>
>>54380511
As a new player they might have ideas in their head about how they can't use it out of combat or they might think that just being smaller won't let them slip past since it's like that in some games or whatever.

It helps to know what the abilities do, it also helps to realize that it's not a computer game.

But, I don't know, maybe they do know how roleplaying games work.
>>
>>54380479
yeah, my eyes glazed over look at the lore in that book. I wasn't expecting anything and I'm still disappointed. May grab a few bits and bobs, and I'm sure someone will want to play one of the Mercer class releases so it's good to have a pdf to refer to.
>>
>>54380518
This.
>>
>>54380518
>Most homebrew is superfluous. Most homebrew is unbalanced. Most homebrew has poor readability/clarity of intent.
Then why you faggots don't help to fix those instead of just shit on them?
>>
>>54380552
I honestly just don't understand how people can think that its a good setting. An adventure guide, sure, a dmg companion by mercer, would be great, a brief setting doc with stat and item blocks, whatever. The setting itself though is just unbearably generic, it exists as a canvas, and not even one of the good bob ross pre-painted ones.
>>
>Bite.
>Melee Weapon Attack: +8 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 21 (3d10 + 5) piercing damage, and the target is grappled (escape DC 16). Until this grapple ends, the target is restrained, and the crocodile can't bite another target.

Am I correct in thinking that a croc can re-bite the same target it already has grappled for more damage?
>>
>>54380590
>Then why you faggots don't help to fix those instead of just shit on them?
Most people that spam their homebrew don't want long term input. At most, they want obvious errors pointed out. People spam pugilist, magus, and shaman in half the 5eg threads that get put up, but every time they hear a negative comment on flavor or purpose, its ignored. They don't ask for help either, while wotc literally tells you to give them feedback on the page for each UA.
>>
>>54380593
Same reason kids loved Eragon when it was first out. They didn't know better., this was their first experience, so it's the best thing
>>
>>54380610
>Am I correct in thinking that a croc can re-bite the same target it already has grappled for more damage?
Yep, that's the intent. They also get advantage, since the target is restrained, which is great for flavor.

Little things like that are why i always reuse MM content with new numbers whenever i make monsters
>>
File: Teromorda Carnifex.pdf (103KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Teromorda Carnifex.pdf
103KB, 1x1px
>>54380638
So the monster in pdf related could absolutely fuck someone's day up if it held onto them for more that one turn?
>>
>>54379016
You obviously don't know what a Sorcadin is.
Paladin gets divine smite at 2. Burn a spell slot, smite. Plus Sorcerer metamagic to quicken a spell, i.e. Hold person.
Turn, for a Pally2/Sorc4. Quicken hold person, paralyze, autocrit with greenflame blade/divine smite combo. All the damage.
>>
>>54380658
Assuming it hit on the first attack, it could very easily do all three at the same target, two of which could have advantage. If it's targeting a non-str/dex primary character, it could very well have all 3 at advantage on a subsequent turn, since DC18 is a pretty big hurdle for anyone without a decent modifier.

Flavor wise, i always like splitting my different attacks on monsters like that, though it isn't required.
>>
>>54379736
You ruined my fucking night with those quotes.
>>
File: question.png (331KB, 499x539px) Image search: [Google]
question.png
331KB, 499x539px
Great Sword Fighting lets you reroll 1s or 2 on Damage rolls.
Does that only applay to the basic weapon damage or also to additional rolls of magic and magic weapons?
>>
>>54380711
>Flavor wise, i always like splitting my different attacks on monsters like that, though it isn't required.

Same here. I don't like the idea of a monster using its tail (unless unusually long) to attack a creature in its mouth.
>>
>>54380726

Only basic weapon damage.
>>
>>54380532
Yeah, ultimately I can't/shouldn't be too upset with them since we're both new, it was just frustrating at the time because we'd spent 3 hours doing set-up type stuff, fine-tuning backstories, cleaning up character sheets etc.

All our characters all ended up travelling to the same city looking for the same NPC for different reasons, so the DM wanted us to each do a short solo scene of us arriving before our party met up, so we all got an opportunity to make a roll or two and work out how our characters approach obstacles. It was only supposed to be a couple minutes each but the Druid's one ended up dragging on way longer than intended, meaning everyone else got their's cut short (her scene was first of four). By that point it was the end of the session and all I got to do was have a 60 second conversation with an NPC.

It just happens I guess, being the beginning of a new campaign and all. I'm definitely looking forward to our next session.
>>
File: cpty.png (979KB, 1964x824px) Image search: [Google]
cpty.png
979KB, 1964x824px
Tell me about your current party
>elf cleric who lusts after a human female
>human witch doctor warlock
>dwarf bard with a bad scottish accent
>masochist paladin who seeks to die in combat
>>
>>54380726
So, just to provide an example of a weapon that this might apply to, you're talking about something like a Flame Tongue Greatsword, where it will do an extra 2d6 Fire damage when your weapon hits.

Based on how Great Weapon Fighting is worded (which is what I assume you meant by, "Great Sword Fighting"), I would say that yes, you can reroll the 1s and 2s rolled by the fire damage die.
>>
>>54380590
>>54380616
Not to mention a lot of homebrew fills gaps that don't need filling. Probably what 'superfluous' is talking about.
i.e. pugilist only really exists for 'I want to be a monk but strength and not a monk but I can't be assed to use barbarogue because I'm scared to ask my DM if I can sneak attack on punches'.
That's not a role that needs doing, really, you might as well make a monk archetype and archetypes are much easier to make than a class.

Even if you fix pugilist, it's still not something that everybody is going to use.

Homebrew works fine if it's for your own home game and not everyone else's home.
>>
>>54380764
One of my PC's is playing the exact same Warlock character. I presume he does the accent too?
>>
>>54379736
>>i'm gonna be a rogue that steals from the party! whaaaat, it's what my character would do! i'm chaotic neutral, see?

Stealing from party members is less annoying than stealing from NPCs. With inter-party stuff, that comes to a head real quick; they either go along with it or the rogue gets a talking to.

People who constantly want to steal from NPCs?

"Alright I'm bored, I'm going to steal from some random dude."
"You find a farmer."
"I roll a 19."
"You find a woman's hairpin and a pouch containing 16 silver pieces."
"What? That's all? BUT I ROLLED A NINE TEEN!"
"Yeah, it's a farmer. You took his only memento of his dead wife, and the money that was going to keep his farm from being repossessed. He'll have to send his son to war instead of getting him that apprenticeship, and his daughter will become a prostitute to pay for food, only to find her father hanging from the rafters when she comes home."
"Gay. I pickpocket someone else."
>>
>>54380660
Is Paladin 2 really all you would take though? WIth Extra Attack you can smite twice.
>>
File: Knipsel.png (100KB, 610x682px) Image search: [Google]
Knipsel.png
100KB, 610x682px
So what is the best use of the Command spell? "Undress" seems like it would be really effective against most humanoids as it will cost them a turn and potentially lower their armor class.
>>
File: 1480420655768.png (369KB, 617x883px) Image search: [Google]
1480420655768.png
369KB, 617x883px
>>54380754
>>54380781
What now?
>>
>>54380837

Who the fuck steals from peasants? If they had anything worth stealing, they wouldn't be peasants.
>>
File: Teromodra Carnifex.png (62KB, 464x768px) Image search: [Google]
Teromodra Carnifex.png
62KB, 464x768px
>>54380658
So, for the record, some of your choices are "wrong" math, they don't fit the norm for monster creation. You can choose to do that, but generally you want to emulate a proficiency bonus via CR, which at 14 is 5, meaning your to hits and athletics would be higher.
>>
>>54380884
Yeah, I'd been following the DMG table, but it recommends +5 prof but only +8 to hit, leaving my giant sea monster with a measly 17 strength. I suppose I could just up the damage dice a ton, but 17 str doesn't feel right.
>>
>>54380884
>>54380658
This is what "correct" math would be btw, its not that big a difference.
>>
>>54380924
Oh, and while there is a point in giving it proficiency in athletics, its not something animals typically get. Athletics is about training yourself in how to use your body beyond the norm, animals typically function at their stats. Again, its something you can do, and it can be used to represent a difficulty in grappling it or something, but it isn't the norm.
>>
>>54380216
Druid, Monk, Sorcerer
>>
My sorcerer has been made unnaturally sad (though he doesn't know that its what is making him sad) by a amulet he found its pretty and hes from a tribal origin and doesn't really adventure for profit at least not crazy amounts of it
so he has no reason to get rid of it or to send it in for identification
So what do i do i dont mind playing a sad character but if you felt unnaturally sad from waking up to going to bed how would you react and make the character evolve?
my instinct was to start donating to charity and ask my dm how my character feels about it (man i love handing over my emotions to the dm) and if he doesn't feel noticeably happier then i kinda did not know where to go from there
>>
>>54381013
Have you never known anyone with depression? Emulate that. Things that make you happy, don't, things you dislike annoy you slightly more. Be more indifferent to things going on around you. Some people try and do things to break up their routine, which can help, so maybe have them gamble/drink/skydive. Even if it doesn't make them "happy", it might make them happier than they were.
>>
File: 1454873824962.jpg (506KB, 900x950px) Image search: [Google]
1454873824962.jpg
506KB, 900x950px
>>54380764
>Human Ranger whose aniki was kidnapped. He just wants to chill with his best bud but some (probably) evil fags keep getting in the way
>Human Monk who was excommunicated by his monastery after he questioned some dodgy administrative decisions
>Halfling Rogue who is fascinated by magic, but too poor to get an education so he just swipes magical artifacts and fucks around with them out of curiosity
>Human Druid sent by her parents to go study under a family friend
>>
>>54381013
Get an addiction.
>>
>>54381047
ill give it a go what i was asking for though is the real long term effects though of how that should be played
For instance like 3-5 sessions from now my character still feels unfulfilled and depressed
because i still dont know what level of sadness my dm was trying to get me to emulate
if its anything beyond clinical depression level i think it might be safe to say he just offs him self after 2-3 sessions
basically what i was asking was in the event of "literaly nothing makes you happy and you feel this way 24 hours a day" how do i handle that like an adult and not just baby out with a "i guess he just kills him self then"
>>
>>54381013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=la6tOXPghCA
>>
>>54381094
I mean, sometimes that happens to people in real life, and while offing yourself is an option, its not the most common one.

You basically have the real life options of seeking help, self medicating, coping, or thrill seeking. Any of those can work in game, cleric, alcohol/drugs, sex/games/being with friends, or challenging dragons.

Just ask yourself how your specific character normally handles "sad" and extreme it until a breaking point, and then change it.
>>
File: 1324180395053.jpg (204KB, 693x742px) Image search: [Google]
1324180395053.jpg
204KB, 693x742px
>>54381094
>>
Is Valor Bard the best choice for making a Skald?
>>
>>54381013
Worst scenario is suicide to end it.
>>
>>54380837
"I look around for the most obviously wealthy person I can find"
>16 perception check
"I slide my hand into his pocket"
>his servants see your act and cut your slice at your hand, before shouting your heinous deed for everyone to hear, roll for initiative
"What the hell you didn't tell me he had servants?"
>you were blinded to them by the promise of gold
"Okay team, these assholes want to fight me for no good reason. Obviously I wouldn't have done it if I had known he had servants, I want a do-over"
>>
File: Klesh Monolith.png (993KB, 740x850px) Image search: [Google]
Klesh Monolith.png
993KB, 740x850px
Needing to Stat this Stone Demon from Pathfinder for a 5e encounter. It should be strong enough to challenge 4 10th level characters.
Any decent conversion sites for this sort of thing?
Or does anyone want a crack at it?
here's it's original stats:
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/outsiders/demon/unique/moxix/

I'm up to my elbows getting pawns ready for Thursday's game. Would appreciate input
>>
>>54380764
>tiefling bard thrown out as a distraction for escape by the cult he served looking for revenge by spreading rumours to attract more hero types
>half-elf rogue trying to learn magic to fuck with humans
>half-elf druid looking for the cult the tiefling was part of
>human fighter who is protecting their farmland and is tired of this magic bullshit
>human cleric of Eldath trying to convert the tiefling and rogue, is losing her patience rapidly
>>
>>54381194
DMG 274. Learn it, love it, live it. Gimme a few, and I may give your monster a shot.
>>
>>54381180
>DM poorly describes situation/locale
>Tries to "Gotcha!" players with information they weren't given, even though their characters should have it.

Last session I was told that there were 2 humanoid statues in opposite positions in a hall. Only several minutes later did he mention to a player that they were obviously modeled after the enemies we had just fought, and had empty hands.
All this does is waste time or piss people off.
>>
>>54381142
Thats the thing i have never thought of my character as "sad" in pretty much any form even when he was a nusance to his tribe and lost them and spent 2 years trying to find them but to no avail i think he was more worried then anything
>>
>>54381243
No real person just never feels sad without a serious medical/mental issue. Unless that's your angle here, just figure out what they would do. It's a character of your own creation, if you can't figure out how they would handle a situation, no one else can.
>>
>>54381219
Yeah, the basic stats would normally not be a problem using the DMG, but this thing has a plethora of nasty abilities. And honestly the CR thing tends to fall apart at that level.

Assume it needs to fight a party of well armed (read magical weapons) 10th level characters. with backup from some Ghasts perhaps. (Nehwon campaign, no turning undead/ect).
>>
>>54381267
All CR cares about is damage output in the first 3 rounds and its ability to not die.

You can add a crap ton of pointless shit on top of that, but it only mildly changes that basic premise. Gimme a breakdown of the specifics you want, a CR you want to be roughly at, and anything particularly iconic and i might throw something up in a bit.
>>
>>54381223
>player wants everything hand fed to them
>gets mad when they're forced to use their brain even in the slightest
It sounds like you could take a moment to ask for a little more detail
>>
>>54381267
yeah, the "let's lump on an absolute fuckton of special abilities and things to keep track of" design philosophy doesn't translate very well to 5e. Start with an earth elemental, upscale to CR ~8-9, and add some spells.
>>
>>54381289
i think he was insinuating that he did but without literaly asking stuff akin to
"so how long is the width of this cliff?"
the dm was just not gonna let him have it
Thats just my faith that he isint a faggot and did not just sit there and accepted shitty information
>>
>>54381289
Nah, fuck you. The DM has a job in this game, and it involves properly describing the situation. If something is important, but goes unmentioned, it isn't the players fault for not knowing it.

>Aha! You try to climb a tree, but its actually on fire! Take 5d6 fire damage.
>>
>>54381304
The specific situation involved us having just fought some fiery lizard bros and turning into a hallway that ends on both sides with a statue. I ask why kind of statue, and am told it is a stone statue of a humanoid figure.

Now, i'm fine with not realizing, without closer inspection, that the hands should be holding something. I'm not fine with not being told that its a statue of a fiery lizard man until i literally ask "who is the statue of". I was told it's a humanoid form, which means i didn't think my character recognized it.
>>
>>54381346
see that's a bit unnecessary
if you walk into a room and look at your mom and say "hey mom"
and then walk over to a picture of your mom and you are like "oh that is a picture of a human" you are fucking retarded
>>
>>54381293
A spellcasting CR 9 elemental will last about as long as a fart in the wind against 4 well-armed lvl 10 characters.
>>
>>54381308
It wasn't important that the NPC had servants, they're not even tough to kill, the player could have dropped all three of them in a single turn and stepped away before anyone knew they were dead. It was a bustling city and if the player asked if the NPC in question had anyone moving along with him it would have been known, instead he jumped the gun and got butthurt. Sheesh some people would get mad if I didn't tell them the NPC they were talking to had 374 freckles on their face, how much info do you need?
>>
>>54381422
You remove player agency from a situation if the player isn't informed of the relevant variables. If the servants weren't important, they wouldn't have been able to see him.

Now, that isn't to say that things can't be hidden, and if they were ninja-maids, secretly keeping an eye on their master, that's an entirely different situation than blatantly having an entourage.
>>
>>54376138
Klarg the Bugbear in LMoP. Enjoy your insta-kill.
>>
>>54381346
That just sounds like lazy DMing, if you asked me to describe a situation like that
"You see two statues on opposite sides of the hall, the statues depict lizardfolk not unlike the one you just previously faced. They are both holding out open hands, perhaps suggesting they were once holding something"
>>
>>54381488
It was inexperience, which is excusable. I just wanted to provide context and an anecdote for my initial point, the DM decides what information you have, and withholding that only reflects on the DM, not the player.
>>
>>54381455
Its not relavent if the player was going to kill him anyways. He could have asked for more information or role played it just a bit differently, he could have watched his target and been smarter about what he was doing, taking caution when you do something stupid shouldn't be something I have to teach a bunch of grown ass men and women. Stop defending chaotic stupid as an alignment.
>>
>>54381530
It clearly was relevant, as the DM had it be impactful. A player shouldn't have to ask for basic information that their character has access to.
>I start making my way towards X
>There is a cliff between you and X, you fall and die.

Withholding obvious information is no different than rocks fall, it removes any player agency, and makes it about what the DM chooses to have happen entirely.
>>
>>54381530
If a player succeeds on his perception check to search a crowd for a target, I would find it unreasonable to assume that he successfully finds a target, is presumably looking at him, but somehow manages not to notice the NPCs servants, despite already establishing that his perception is decent.
>>
>>54378831
>At the same time I'm already tired of 'omg yor character is just like Scanlan!' remarks that getting 'wow this is just like episode blahblah!' could be shitty.
I wouldn't play with people this fucking lame.
>>
>>54381606
I believe the even the book points out that perception does not give you every detail, but on what your specifically looking for. Good roll or no.
>>
Anyone got a link to the taldorei campaign guide?
>>
>>54381671
https://www.dropbox.com/s/pkijcm0mhd2y29o/Critical%20Role%20Tal%27Dorei%20Campaign%20Setting.pdf?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lyinsoz5cj2jriz/Critical%20Role%20Tal%27Dorei%20Campaign%20Setting%20Map.pdf?dl=0
>>
>>54381671

>>54379575
>>
>>54381667
In that case, getting close enough to lift someone's wallet will *probably* get you close enough to them that your passive perception score would kick in and notice that there's a bunch of people following this NPC around. So unless the PC in question had absolutely garbage passive perception or the servants were actively attempting to hide from the PC, they still should've noticed them.
>>
>>54381667
The book also says that anyone not out of sight or hiding by some other means are seen.
>>
>play a combat-oriented character
>fight's about to break out
>"Oh boy, time to go to work!"
>party talks their way out of it
>repeat until unavoidable boss fight
every fucking time.
>>
File: allah.jpg (36KB, 948x669px) Image search: [Google]
allah.jpg
36KB, 948x669px
>Going to hit level 4 as a valor bard tonight
>Having a fucking meltdown as to whether to raise my CHA or DEX to 18.

Do I do the spells better or the combat better? pls help
>>
>>54381194

Man, this thing reminds me everything I hate about 3.x systems. A bunch of dumb abilities (hopedrinker), a list of 15 spells it's never going to cast (desecrate, , a bunch of feats I have to look up, and things that don't need to be on the sheet (+33 to climb? It has teleport! Why do I care if it took Iron Will? Can't you just add the +6 to will saves?).

Let's take a crack at it. What's notable about this thing?

Diseased acid breath
Symbol of Insanity (trap that causes confusion)
Gush (taking damage causes it to create a slick surface)
Hopedrinker (dispels and counters buffs)

Using the UA encounter building rules, a solo monster should be CR 12. I, personally, never run solo monsters unless I'm letting them act multiple times in a round (lair abilities). So, I'm going to stat some lair abilities which you can ignore if you're planning on adding some dudes to help him. I'm personally fond of adding in 3-5 reskinned dire wolves with buffed STR DCs on the trip. Knocking people down and/or eating attacks from players is a good way to make the Big Bad tougher without making him a giant sack of HP.
>>
File: ipeeQCA.jpg (218KB, 500x457px) Image search: [Google]
ipeeQCA.jpg
218KB, 500x457px
>>54381889

220HP
20AC
+4 Prof bonus
Immunity: Fire, Poison
Resistance: Nonmagical weapons, Necrotic
PP 16
saves: +4/+4/+8/+6/+4/+4

Multiattack: This creature can use its Bilious Prjection and/or make two attacks with its Slam.

Bilious Projection: Creatures within 30ft of this creature's front arc make a DC17 DEX saving throw or take 10d6 damage (successful saves take half damage). Creatures that fail their saving throw also are inflicted with Fiend's Rot, giving them disadvantage on saving throws against magic.

Slam: 1d20+8; 2d10+4 damage.

Gush: When this creature reaches 160, 100, and 40HP, the surrounding 45ft. is coated in blood and ichor for one round. Any non-fiendish creature walking over this area must make a DC15 DEX save or fall prone. Characters in the area also must make a DC17 DEX save or drop any and all held items onto the ground

Symbol of Insanity: As a full action, this creature creates a fiendish symbol causing all non-fiendish creatures in its front arc that can see it to make a DC17 save or become confused. Creatures confused this way can make a DC 15 WIS save at the end of their turn to remove the confused condition. This is a magical effect.

Legendary Resistance (3/day). If the creature fails a saving throw, it can choose to succeed instead.
Magic Resistance. The creature has advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects.

Legendary Actions
Detect: The creature makes a Perception Check (+8).
Swipe: The creature makes a melee attack against a creature in melee range.
Evil Eye: Choose one creature that this creature can see. That creature makes a DC17 WIS save or is Confused until the end of its next round. This is a magical effect.
Recharge (Costs 2 actions): Regain the use of Bilious Projection
>>
>>54381869
CHA gives you move bardic inspiration right? I would get CHA to 20 first.
>>
What class combo would these guys be? What could be reflavored to make this a reality?
>>
>>54381992
Eldritch Knight
>>
File: IMG_1330.jpg (66KB, 500x591px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1330.jpg
66KB, 500x591px
I'm a new DM currently reading up to run the game. The 3e version of Sunless Citadel was my first ever expierence with tabletop games back in high school, so I really want to run the Yawning Portal reprint of it for my group. Is there anything significant about the way the module's been rebalanced that I should be aware of before I put it to the table?
>>
What other games use 5e system?
>>
File: the day 5eg's night was ruined.png (93KB, 1011x669px) Image search: [Google]
the day 5eg's night was ruined.png
93KB, 1011x669px
>>54379736
>>
Hey guys, I'm new to this and I've been playing a sorcerer. I'm currently level 7, but to be honest I still have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing. What should I be doing as a Sorcerer? Which spells are most optimal?
If it helps, my teammates are: Rogue, Ranger, Monk/Fighter(? Not too sure here), Barbarian, Cleric, and some weird Caster Fighter combo I can't tell.
>>
What's the main difference between phb ranger and UA ranger? Why does phb ranger suck and UA ranger not suck? Asking for a friend who's thinking of playing ranger - I've never touched one but I heard that the revised class is the way to go because the original is useless.
>>
>>54382323
the biggest thing I know is that the pet scales, so they're at least mediocre instead of useless for combat
>>
>>54381997
>>54381992
If the DM allowed multiclassing with UA stuff these came to mind.

>Monster Slayer/Eldritch Knight
>Monster Slayer/Monster Hunter
>>
>>54382305
>7 person party

Your DM doesn't have any idea what he's supposed to be doing, either.
>>
>>54382224
Most of the Yawning Portal modules stay true to their originators. The rebalance just translates it to 5e more so than changes it in any significant way
>>
>>54382370
Yeah its a cluster fuck considering people talk over each other, but we're all close friends so it's fine. I'm pretty much the new player though
>>
>>54382246
Middle Earth Adventures
Amethyst: Quintessence
Ultramodern5
>>
>>54382323
The PHB Ranger is fine... it's the PHB Ranger Beastmaster that sucks. Most of the UA Ranger changes are within the Beastmaster subclass, but there are a couple of buffs to the base class too:

>Favored Enemy now grants bonus damage (+2/+4) instead of being a glorified Lore check, but you only get 2 (instead of 3) picks

>Natural Explorer becomes busted as fuck, gaining: ignore difficult terrain, advantage on initiative, advantage vs creatures that have yet to act in the first round of combat. (Plus everything it did before)

>And instead of stealing a Druid feature (Land Stride), the Ranger steals part of a Rogue feature (Dash as a bonus action)

If your friend wants to play as a Ranger then there's no significant reason to use the UA, unless they want to play a Beastmaster.
>>
>>54382444
All those game suck?
>>
File: it's not easy being green.jpg (25KB, 320x272px) Image search: [Google]
it's not easy being green.jpg
25KB, 320x272px
>>54380764
A single Cleric. I'm new to tabletops and I was so starved waiting for my AL that I found a single player campaign online I could play. I learned the hard way that this game was not made for one character.
>>
As someone who doesn't give a single fuck about the show, how decent is the Critical Roll group's setting guide? Anything interesting about the setting or more standard high fantasy with nothing really the interesting?
>>
>>54382546
Considering it was made up just for that campaign over 3-4 years, from Pathfinder to 5e, and includes generic versions of the already bog-standard-generic 4e/Dawn War pantheon: I've heard it's pretty damn generic.
>>
>>54382546
I'm pretty sure it's more standard high fantasy crap.

Does anyone have "the Book of the Righteous" that Green Ronin put out though? Didn't know the .pdf was out but apparently it is. I'm interested in that for cool ideas for a pantheon, but sure as hell not $25 interested.
>>
>>54382546
Generic as fuck, I read parts of it and didn't give a shit. It does show you how you can make something generic yet fleshed out. You can focus less on 'wow this is generic' and more on how it all locks together like cold porridge if you're having trouble in building your own world - here is The Place, here is Important Thing, here is An Adventure.

It has some nice feats and some stat blocks to use, some nice art. New class options seem pointless. The magic items could be something you want to use or a good jump off point.

It's a free resource, may as well grab it.
>>
Curse of Strahd is the worst fucking module I've ever played.
Everything in all of goddamn Barovia is a CR10+ encounter designed to do nothing but cause surprise TPK's, nothing in the entire fucking book is the least bit "horrific" or frightening to anyone over the age of 12, getting absolutely anything accomplished requires the players to be fucking psychic because there is zero goddamn logic or explanation to why anything is the way it is, and all of the NPCs are boring goddamn lifeless automatons who - despite collectively having the power to make Strahd look like a little fucking bitch - would rather sit around whining about how shitty their lives are instead.

Either this module is some epic fucking troll by WotC, or my DM sucks shit.
>>
>>54376138
We had our first session using the 5th edition last sunday and I'll have to admit, it was quite awesome. It was quite obvious, that the rules were streamlined severly. But I wouldn't have imagined, that gameplay, especially during combat is so much faster.

Had a lovely moment as well. MY PCs got to an adult dragons lair, which was planned. What wasn't planned however was series of events that led the dragon to outright attack before talking to the adventures. It was nearly a TPK:
>two PCs still standing
>both of them have a wand of magic missiles
>first player decides to fuck it an use all charges
>let him roll for destruction of the wand
>rolls 1
>full charged magic missile hits the dragon, wand crumbles to dust
>second player does the same
>again rolling a 1
>dragon woul have had 30 HP left after that attack but I decided to fuck it, moment was to epic to still result in a TPK
> last bolts hit the dragon, which roars and collapses
>crashing on one of the players still standing
>none dead, but seven players have been to the point of rolling death saves
>>
File: Pawns Klesh2.png (3MB, 2204x2758px) Image search: [Google]
Pawns Klesh2.png
3MB, 2204x2758px
>>54381889
>>54381907
Interesting, and thanks for your time.
Planning on running it with a group of Orangutan skeletons that are statted like Ghasts (they have paralytic plant vines entwined in them). Those are them in the bottom pic.

Appreciate the input!
>>
>>54382594
It is your DM.

If you don't like the undead-vampire-edgy-evil setting, the DM might have a hard time to create a great atmosphere for you. However, the module itself is really fantastic. Although very demanding for the DM. It is very easy to fuck this module up because their is not even the slightest railroad and players have pretty much ultimate freedom.

This adventure module lives and dies with the DM. I think I did a quite decent job. At least I was able to play Strahd in a way, that my players at some point decided:
>fuck it, no matter how many of us or the civilians dies, Strahd has to die
My parties paladin did actually fall during the last two sessions of the campaign. But everyone was really happy with the ending.
>>
Would anyone be willing to look at my Race rebalances? Me and my friend looked at some of the races and tweaked them a bit to make them a bit more versatile and effective.
>>
>>54382594
Nah, it's definitely your DM. Curse of Strahd is one of the best, if not the best, modules written for 5e.
>>
>>54382717
I put them somewhere in line with 30 as there race points.
>>
>>54380764
>> Human-Fighter, big brother of the cleric, ex-templar who fled his order after uncovering corruption
>>Cleric, broke out of her life as a nun to follow her brother after seeing visions
>>Warforged Wizard, on quest for power, understands "meatpeople" less and less
>>Human Sorceror, "witch of the bog", has no selfpreservation skills what so ever, wants more magical power
>>Elf Barbarian, huge muscles and loves fighting (twist is that he's actually a she, but wants to prove his manliness)
>>
File: War Magic + Improved War Magic.png (73KB, 1092x114px) Image search: [Google]
War Magic + Improved War Magic.png
73KB, 1092x114px
This whole time I thought you had to cast the spell first before you can use your bonus action to attack with War Magic an Improved War Magic, so this brings up a question...
So what does the player say when they want to do this? What's the order of events for this activation?
>>
>>54382862
>Choose action
>Bonus action is now active
Even if you never actually manage to get the spell off, your intent in casting it was enough. That means you must have, at the time you declared the action, been able to do so, and that you can take no other action, regardless of available targets later on.
Fluff wise, you already started your components, even if you can't get the spell off, that took your time/concentration/effort.
>>
File: Party Current.png (804KB, 1414x674px) Image search: [Google]
Party Current.png
804KB, 1414x674px
>>54380764
>Arcane Trickster, Crown Prince of Tisinilit
>Variant Ranger, Scout from the Klesh Rainforests
>Berserker from Rime Isle, youngest son of Fafhrd
>Cleric, Conduit for the power of seven Gods from the Barrens of Quarmall
>>
>>54382941
So if I was a level 10 EK and I say
"I want to use my action to cast Toll the Dead on X target, but first I want to use my bonus action to attack with my weapon."
Let's say I hit, does this activate Eldritch Strike for my Toll the Dead spell?
>>
Playing a Druid level 3, chose Haunted One as a background, and rolled executioner's hood as a trinket. My party will level soon and I'm seriously thinking of dipping into Monk to become a guy who pretty much is a Ninja who wears the hood and doesn't realize it.

Has anyone here multiclassed it? It seems like they have great synergy, but not sure how viable a magic Ninja would be for later levels.
>>
>>54382825
>Arcane Spellcaster
>"My motivation is more magical power!"
How imaginative.
>>
>>54383020
Despite both using wisdom I think monk and druid are kind of conceptually at odds. You'd have higher AC than most druids, but otherwise I'm not really seeing much synergy.
>>
>>54383020
There's two ways to Druid/Monk:

Monk dip on Moon Druid, for Unarmored Defense on wild shape and perhaps up to 5 levels if Extra Attack is desired.

1 level Druid dip on Monk, for Shillelagh on a WIS-focused (Stun) build (Nature Cleric is better).

Any other combination has zero synergies.
>>
>>54382673
>>54382720

My party is about to start CoS after finishing the Starter Set in roughly 2 months +- 8 sessions.
We're all completely new (including DM) and having a blast. I wonder if CoS will be too challenging for him? He can be a bit cocky and won't quickly admit something's too challenging for him, or if he makes mistakes.
>>
>>54383866

He might have bitten off a bit more than he can chew. CoS is great but it's ridiculously open-ended, super dependent on maintaining a mood, and requires a DM who can do a *lot* of on the fly adjusting. It is not a module that rewards inflexibility.

That's not guarantee of failure, but it's well worth keeping your eye on.Start cultivating an excuse now in case you need to make a break for it later.
>>
>>54384138

I will look out for it then. Leaving is not really an option. We're a group of friends that started playing this together. I'm not sure if I'd be comfortable joining a group of strangers.

Our DM does kinda railroad from time to time, but mostly because he's inexperienced (made a post about that earlier). I'll keep talking to him after sessions to tell him what I think. I just don't want to seem overly critical, since he is really trying and spending a lot of time preparing the sessions, while he has a 40 hour workweek and sports.
>>
If I plan to run a modified Ghostwalk game next where all the players are ghosts, should I start the party dead or give them a few sessions living before throwing them into some gruesome dungeon?

I think the idea of having them all die raiding some tomb that they then return to later as ghosts could be awesome fun, issue is that might feel a bit too railroaded.
>>
>>54384546
New thread
Thread posts: 341
Thread images: 52

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.