/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 378
Thread images: 41

File: 2eq9xuc.jpg (140KB, 533x770px) Image search: [Google]
2eq9xuc.jpg
140KB, 533x770px
>Unearthed Arcana: Greyhawk Initiative
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UAGreyhawkInitiative.pdf

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Alternate Trove:
https://dnd.rem.uz/5e%20D%26D%20Books/

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread: >>54356700
>>
are there class tiers like there were in 3.5 or is this game balanced enough so that no class is completely shit?
>>
How would you balance Lore Masters?
>>
http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/Sy-Krg-Tyl

What does everyone think of this?
>>
>>54368404
You don't. Now on the topic of lore masters what are some cool spell modifications you can think of.
>LvL 1 Magic missile + Additional LvL1 spell slot to give +2d10 force damage on each creature hit. Spread out over 3 creatures it deals ave 13damage per creature, with no save or attack role required.

>typing out some more as I think of them...
>>
How do I get better at storytelling? I usually run a simulationist campaign but I'd like some more drama, twists and turns, and climactic endings. Related, when I'm a player, I usually ride the railroad but I'd like to become a bigger influence on the story.
>>
>>54368396

There are two "bad" choices, with one subclass being unanimously the worst, assuming you're not including UA.

4 elements monk is not very good, the ranger class as a whole is weaker than the others, and beast master ranger is the lowest of low.

However, unlike 3.5 it's more a difference of a tier and a half. Barring beastmaster, nothing is super weak compared to everything else and everyone should feel like they contribute.
>>
Some friends expressed interest in playing Dungeons and Dragons. Since I'm the only one who has played the game I offered to DM and was planning to just run the Starter Set.

Is that a good idea?
>>
So I'm adding a house rule on the Moon Druid, that in adition to the elementals that they can wild shape into at level 10, they can also role play for a single aditional CR5 form, from a choice of a few that determines their planar "circle"

The options I like are
>Wood Woad
>Barlgura
>Swarm of Cranium Rats or a Mind Witness
>Unicorn
>Young Remorahz

Thoughts/Opinions?
>>
>>54368615

any idea on what change, as small as possible, to do to the beastmaster in case one of my players wants to player so that he doesn't feel like shit?
>>
>>54368617
Yes
>>
>>54368404
Tone down their level 2 shit. They do not need;
>Potentially gaining expertise in 4 skills
>Initiative bonus
>Changing spell damage types
>Changing saves once per short rest all
All at level 2
>>
>>54368663
Use the revised ranger from unearthed arcana
>>
>>54368747
alright, thanks
>>
How do 5e Paladins match up vs previous editions?
>>
>>54368617
Yeah. I'm in the same situation, but I just adapted the starter set adventure to a homebrew setting and changed the overall plot, adventure hook, and enemy selection to make it a bit more interesting. It's a pretty easy one to make changes to.
>>
>>54368798
>>54368707
Cool, how normie friendly is it? Looks pretty fine to me, but at least 2 players will be 100% normies. One of them said, he I saw this on a tv-show, I know you play it, could we try it?

To me 5e is easy peasy and the rules are easier than my D&D board game.

On that note, anyone has experience with printing the maps? The more tangible I can make the whole experience the better.
>>
File: dungeon-meshi-6101221.jpg (167KB, 800x1182px) Image search: [Google]
dungeon-meshi-6101221.jpg
167KB, 800x1182px
Stat me /5eg
>>
>>54368840
Starter set makes it as accessible as possible. If they don't want to bother reading through the rules to learn how to make their own character there are pre-generated ones with their own story hooks and fluff so they can just jump right into the game. Adventure is well made but generic. There are orcs and goblins and a dragons, some social encounters, a town with several sidequests, etc. I found it a bit too boring but the structure works well so all I really had to change was fluff and reskin the enemies.
>>
>>54368615
I don't think Ranger is that bad, it's at fisrt level that they only a ribbon ability.
>>
>>54368851
just make a lv5 dwarf wth cooking, nature and survival proficiency

lazy scum
>>
>>54368851
16 Str
14 Dex
20 Con
10 Int
14 Wis
6 Cha
>>
>>54368877
Okay, sounds like an excellent starting point for a lot of first time players in that case. They don't need all this subversive shit that /tg/ is so fond of.
>>
>>54368780
They're good.
>>
>>54368895

It's not that they are "bad" - 5e has some pretty satisfactory class balance, it's just compared to others and with the aforementioned early level fluff ability it IS inferior to the other classes. I'm not sure if you've read or played a beastmaster either but I think they're where a lot of the ire from rangers come from - they're straight bad.

The UA fixes all the qualms I had about original rangers though.
>>
>>54368980
>e has some pretty satisfactory class balance, it's just compared to others and with the aforementioned early level fluff ability it IS inferior to the other classes.
I agree, but Revised Ranger is too front loaded imho. I hope they don't print it as it is right now

>they're straight bad.
They are bad for one reason: pet is too squishy. If the DM doesn't focus damage on him the only thing that will kill it (and this can happen sometimes) is AoE damage.

>But you lose your action to command it!
This isn't necessarily bad, just a matter of taste. It might seem it doesn't make sense from a realism point of view, but it exist for balance reasons. I, for exemple, don't mind it acting on it's own like the revised version does it, but I hate the "separate initiative", it only slows down the game.
>>
Working on a Warlord port.

Should I bother with features from 21-30, or only stuff from 1-20?
>>
>>54368569
>Cast LvL 4 Hold person against 3 people, Change the save to STR and add a LvL3 spell slot to increase the DC by 2.
(for me, a lvl5 wiz it is now 8+3prof+4int+2lore = 17)
Every turn the enemy must make a STR save (which they fail automatically) and the initial STR save is difficult to make.

Wow, the more I look into this the more I want to play a Lore Wizard.
>>
>>54369186
This is why people say its broken, Anon. Any DM with common sense would make it so only the initial save is str then it changes back to wisdom
also
>casting level 4 spells at level 5
>>
File: Stan.jpg (11KB, 156x335px) Image search: [Google]
Stan.jpg
11KB, 156x335px
You've never failed me before /5eg/. It's Brainstorm time:

My campaign has this NPC who is essentially an annoying car salesman, pushing shitty items out for ridiculous prices. Usually these shitty items do things their buyers do not expect.

I need some adventure hooks that would be the result of these things.

One example is that he sold some chicken eggs to a farmer so he could start a new farm. They were not chicken eggs. They were monster eggs. The party then had to go clear them out.
>>
>>54368655
>in adition to the elementals that they can wild shape into at level 10, they can also role play for a single aditional CR5 form
Not sure what you mean by this. Are you saying that if they "role play" they get an additional use of wild shape that they can use for one of those forms? And what exactly do you mean by "role play"?
>>
How do you people handle printing out the official 10ft squares maps? I suppose doubling the size works but those maps are gonna get enormous...
>>
>>54369139
I mean, you can use the whole 1-30 for inspiration, but scale it appropriately.
>>
>>54368396
if you were to use the 3.5 tiers, there is no class that is Rank 1 (though bards get close), and no class that is lower than rank 3 (beastmaster ranger gets close to 4, but still has some things it can do)
>>
>>54369073
>but it exist for balance reasons
UA ranger shows that's bullshit though, even acting on it's own initiative and not requiring an action to direct it, beastmaster is still only so-so
>>
>>54369424
I see, I'm glad there is finally some balance

>beastmaster ranger
just read the Unearthed arcana correction and it seems like it pretty much fixes it completely
>>
>>54369460
>just read the Unearthed arcana correction and it seems like it pretty much fixes it completely

the UA version is MUCH better, but it still lacks a couple things, but are easily fixed. For example, the pet never gets magical attacks which means in the later levels the pet will, at best, be doing half damage to most enemies. But that's easy enough to fix by saying "ok pets attacks count as magical at level X" or by allowing players to fashion pet weapons such as metal caps for fangs, bayonet style "horns", etc.
>>
seeing that the other thread is fucking kil, I might as well post my inquiry here

there is a very important thing I need to do as custom races go

I'm running a campaign set in the world of Daggerfall and we are going to change to the system of D&D5, so I need the stats for Elder Scroll races. I don't want them to have any differences among them and also no difference in speed or vision, to fit the game

-Imperial: same as D&D human+can cast once per day Friends cantrip, at lv3 charm person, at level 5 calm emotions, using charisma

-Breton: +1cha +2int, can cast once per day mage hand cantrip, at lv3 can cast mage armor, at lv5 can cast hold person once per day, using int. resistance to force damage

-Norse: +2str +1con. Proficiency with one handed and two handed axes and greatswords. Resistance to cold damage

-Redguard: +2str +1dex. Proficiency with scimitars, longswords and spears. [something else]

-Altmer: +2int +1dex, rest is same as high elf

-Bosmer:Same as wood elf +resistance to poison

-Dunmer: same as drow+resist fire

-Argonian: +2dex +1str. Water breathing, resistance to diseases and acid

-Khajit: +2dex +1cha. Natural weapon claws(1d4) only race with darkvision

anything else?
>>
>>54369460
It still has the issue of the majority of your damage being linked to a low health pet that the DM can put down pretty quickly if they want to and your damage being split into two so magic weapons aren't great for you, but I guess you should just expect those things when playing a beastmaster
>>
>>54369556
>low health pet
it gains HP and hit dice with levels, does it not?
>>
>>54369509
Argonian should have +1 INT. They are quite proficient spellcasters and the STR doesn't make that much sense.
>>
>>54369638
gotcha
>>
>>54369509
What about Orsimer?
>>
>>54369664
ah

in Daggerfall they are not playable, but would be same as half-orcs
>>
File: stan.gif (22KB, 200x269px) Image search: [Google]
stan.gif
22KB, 200x269px
>>54369366
Is he wildly charismatic?
>>
>>54369366
The merchant sells them a small locked box. When opened there is a small mechanical ballerina that spins as music plays. If she's removed there's an even smaller locked compartment with a small piece of parchment with runes inscribed in

Box is actually a liches phylactery. Hilarity ensues. As a wider hook you can have the lich having planted in order that the merchant deliver the package to the king, the lich then kills himself emerges into the kings chamber and assassinates the king. The merchant asks the pcs to do it.
>>
Does anyone else here run games using a setting narrative and characters ported over from previous editions.
>>
>>54368117
How terrible is druid of the shepherd mechanically?
I'm running one in our groups' next campaign and was hoping to know what to expect.
>>
File: 20160530_CriticalRole_1x1.jpg (63KB, 322x268px) Image search: [Google]
20160530_CriticalRole_1x1.jpg
63KB, 322x268px
>>54368617
>Some friends expressed interest in playing Dungeons and Dragons.
Probably because they saw Critical Roll. Don't worry OP in a few weeks you'll be disappointing them because you're not an epic voice actor like Matt Mercer, and your DMing can't compete with pre-written scripts created by professional comedy writers and tweaked to make them seem like a real RPG. Also after your group reads some /tg/ greentexts on iFunny or Tumblr they will start getting pissy whenever they get a nat20 and you don't let them do whatever the hell they want, so you better let that bard seduce the blue dragon, otherwise you're a loser virgin grognard, why do you hate fun?
>>
>>54369363
>>54369186
the lvl5 at lvl4 thing was a mistake but you get the gist.
>>
File: 1458227292047.jpg (55KB, 395x401px) Image search: [Google]
1458227292047.jpg
55KB, 395x401px
>>54369781

>the first person to bring up CR in this thread is some faggot complaining about it

every single time
>>
>>54369781
Too real anon, too real.
>>
>>54369366
1) Stop redd*t spacing.
2) If you can't think of plot hooks based around the conflicts created by pissed off customers, you are crazy
3) Have him murdered by a cult who is annoyed he sold them a false item that made their ritual fuck up and backlash and blow up half of them with negative energy. Characters have to clear out their cult hideout full of undead.
>>
>>54369781
No dude, they are straight up normies. It's mostly television and the fact that they know I play it.

They have never heard of Critical Role or any of the other D&D streams.
>>
>>54369820
>1) Stop redd*t spacing.
not him, but what the fuck does that even mean
>>
>>54369864
To actually answer your question yes the starter set is perfect. Premade characters and a simple adventure to follow with enough scope to branch out if they just want to explore and dick around.
>>
>>54369381
>printing out
>not using erasable mat so you can draw in new rooms one by one

DMs who print out the maps and slowly "uncover" them with pieces of paper take twice as long as drawing, waste a shitton of ink, and piss off the players because they inevitably knock over minis while trying to remove the paper, half of them don't know how to print for shit so the maps are dark and waste a fuckton of ink and just look like absolute shit because the WotC maps look like a shitty runescape map. Not to mention, if you run published adventures in the first place you don't deserve to be a Dungeon Master, draw your own goddamn maps on graph paper, make the edges of your cave link up to certain cell intersection points so you can reproduce the cave walls easily, and draw it out. It's not hard.
>>
>>54369886
legibility in a post can trigger some people.
>>
>>54369737
I mean, they're pretty bad. But you could homebrew it a bit to have some more utility if you want. Never be afraid to change shit around.
>>
>>54369509
>unironically trying to port Skyrim shit into D&D
I warned that this would happen. Skyrim players are the worst people to invade the D&D community so far, closely followed by Dark Scrolls faggots. Really, any video-game-playing twat who comes to RPGs because he thinks it's going to be like Diablo, needs to get fucked. They come in with this mindset that it's going to be just as fast and entertaining as their video game and also centered around them. These fuckers are usually the type to bring their phones and play stupid-ass meme videos while I am trying to talk. They also have motherfucking ADHD and cannot shut the fuck up for more than two minutes without mentioning some anime or making a reference to the latest episode of whatever, completely ignoring the fact that the DM is talking. You know why? Because these twits sit in front of a computer 10 hours a day, jamming their keyboard and drinking Mountain Dew until their fucking hearts explode. Then they come to RPGs and expect the same fucking type of mental stimulation, and when they don't get it they become a fucking menace to the entire table. And you can say "well just make a no phones rule" or "be a more assertive speaker" or some other bullshit nonce advice for pussies with confrontation issues. When in reality what you need to start doing is outright removing these people from your playgroup. Take them aside and give them one warning: this isn't motherfucking Oblivion, this isn't motherfucking Diablo, this isn't motherfucking Dark Soul, this isn't motherfucking World of War-Crap. This is a TTRPG. And if they have an issue with it, and play their stupid skyrim meme videos again, you kick them out of your house and don't give them a ride home like you promised to earlier.
>>
File: 1446757821592.jpg (82KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1446757821592.jpg
82KB, 500x375px
>>54369781
>>
Can someone recommend good fight heavy challenging one-shot? Better yet for around 3-5 level party.
>>
>>54369941
I still don't understand how putting a blank line in between makes something illegible, and even more what the fuck it has to do with reddit

>>54369960
>skyrim
>can't even read that it is daggerfall
mcfuckingkill yourself

I'm not reading your retarded wall of text
I seriously hope its pasta
>>
>>54369886
Hitting enter after every single line as if each new sentence deserves to be it's own paragraph. Stop doing it. It's also a form of attention whoring by making your post physically larger and thus more visible.
>>
File: 1433289239852.jpg (50KB, 550x633px) Image search: [Google]
1433289239852.jpg
50KB, 550x633px
>>54370013
>>
File: fafasf.png (121KB, 257x231px) Image search: [Google]
fafasf.png
121KB, 257x231px
>>54369967
Not an argument.

>>54369996
>it's the same universe, just a different game
Oh sorry did I trigger you by referring to the entire series by its most popular chapter? Everything I just said still applies. It's vidya cancer and the fact you are using it to make a setting for your D&D game shows (1) how uncreative you are and (2) how pathetically addicted to video games you are, as well. Try making your own fucking setting, preferrably one without ten different subraces of humans and one without furry shit.

>>/v/
>>
>>54370013
>making your post physically larger and thus more visible.

I prefer calling it "chadposting" (not adding extra space between paragraphs is a sign of meekness aka virginposting).
>>
>>54369970
Write your own! It's a lot of fun, and you get the opportunity to perfectly balance it to your party.
It's also a good way to make sure that everyone is useful; have opportunities for strong characters to shine, or for those that are very charismatic or intelligent.
>>
>>54369996
>I still don't understand how putting a blank line in between makes something illegible, and even more what the fuck it has to do with reddit
you misunderstood the legibility of adding lines between sentences triggers retards. It's apparently something they do in reddit, because, you know, reading a giant fucking block of text gets a little weary.
>>
>>54369996
not him but the blank lines annoy me. it causes a normal post to take up a huge amount of space. a paragraph is several sentences but a lot of posts have one sentence per line while is rather annoying. its like reading a text message chain. if you absolutely need to insert newlines into your paragraphs you dont have to double space.
just use a single space
>>
>>54370099
>not him but the blank lines annoy me. it causes a normal post to take up a huge amount of space.
are you afraid the internet is going to run out of room?
>>
>>54370086
But you know, if anyone does something on reddit, it must be evil. It's a wonder we can even have a conversation here- did you know they have conversations on reddit?
>>
>>54370013
>>54370099
not in my fucking life had I ever considered that it was a form of making posts more visible, but, on the contrary, to make posts easier to read

See, on this site, if it is being read on a typical 16:9 screen usually it happens that long paragraphs stretch towards the edge of the screen but do not necessarily make another line, thus when you do a full stop and start a different paragraph, if you don't put a line in between it usually happens that the two paragraphs get merged as if they were the same, thus being a bit more difficult to read

>>54370086
fuck if I know, I've never visited reddit
>>
File: 1472495849419.jpg (51KB, 492x419px) Image search: [Google]
1472495849419.jpg
51KB, 492x419px
>>54370099
>>
>>54370051
triggered? him?
we will never see anyone as triggered as you were
>>
I have just finished running Skt and I want to work on developing my own world. What are some good resources to do this? Also, what are some good "checklists" to go through when considering world building details? (ie religion, geography, money, lore, etc etc)
>>
File: you should really kill yourself.jpg (44KB, 604x340px) Image search: [Google]
you should really kill yourself.jpg
44KB, 604x340px
>>54369960
>>
File: Gold_dragon_-_Chris_Seaman.jpg (176KB, 640x464px) Image search: [Google]
Gold_dragon_-_Chris_Seaman.jpg
176KB, 640x464px
I've just started a new game set in a homebrew world where dragons rule various city states (not DarkSun!) and these city states function in reflection of the Dragons alignment. So red dragon city's are chaotic evil hives of villainy and gold dragons cities are lawful good paragons of order etc.

I set it all up that the party are all members of the court of the ancient Gold Dragon . This gold dragon knows he's close to death from old age and doesn't wish to prolong it as it's not in the natural order of things so he's preparing an heir.

There's roaming dragons who lead barbaric hordes and fight one another outside the city states and sometimes take them over when they're weak.

The gold dragon needs to find a strong heir as he risks his kingdom collapsing to the barbaric hordes or one of the rival city states if he does not.

The party consist of a Elf Rogue, a Dragonborn Fighter, a Human Wizard and a Kobold Cleric(who literally derives his magic from the ancient gols dragon) . The Dragonborn fighter could be a potential heir but he has yet to prove himself.

So after some exposition, some exploration around town and the usual first session stuff the players decided to go and meet the gold dragon who was to give them their first real quest. The quest was to travel to the mountains to the south in search of an ancient crown that only a true heir to the dragona kingdom could wear.

The rogue then says 'oh mighty Dragon we desire to complete your quest but such a task would require your entire horde of treasure , we are trusted members of your court and you know that we would only use this horde to do good by you and your quest . He then rolls a Nat 20 on.persuasion :/

I'm now not sure how to progress.By RAW the party now have around 250,000 gold , not to mention numerous magic items that buff their strength to insane levels. They're also in a large populated metropolitan city where they'd be able to kit themselves out with whatever they wanted.What do I do?
>>
>>54370116
Learn to read better, then. Also why are you doing it to your own posts, are you reading your own posts? Sounds narcissistic to me.

>>54370113
>start spamming dozens of random characters in posts, huge ASCII art, etc.
>"are you afraid the internet is going to run out of room?"

Nice argument.
>>
File: 1466005886463.png (580KB, 523x523px) Image search: [Google]
1466005886463.png
580KB, 523x523px
>>54369960
>>
>>54370170
>>start spamming dozens of random characters in posts, huge ASCII art, etc.
>>"are you afraid the internet is going to run out of room?"
>Nice argument.
you know each post has a button to hide it, right?
>>
Would you let a druid turn into a crag cat? It seems really cool but maybe a bit too good as a player option for its CR.
>>
>>54369960
maximus autismus
>>
>>54370170
>sounds narcisistic to me
fuck if I care what you think
I only asked what the fuck it has to do with reddit. After learning that it is stupid as fuck I barely have any reason to do what you want
>>
>>54370166
I mean, nobody should be able to persuade an ancient dragon to give up their entire horde.
That said, jack your monsters. Surely news of a legendarily powerful band of adventurers would reach the corners of the world, and the idea of stealing their powerful gear would attract lots of potential enemies. Kingdoms, even.
>>
File: 1472075922831.jpg (93KB, 620x670px) Image search: [Google]
1472075922831.jpg
93KB, 620x670px
>>54369960
10/10 bait
>>
>>54370166
Natural 20s aren't auto successes, read the books and stop sucking at dming. Alternatively just give them much harder encounters.
>>
>>54369073
I've seen people say companions with separate initiative slow things down, but they don't really. Chances are the thing is going to do basically the same thing every turn, which takes all the time of a fighter with one attack. My wolf gets to move and it gets to bite. Roll the save against prone if it hits. Done.
>>
>>54370166
le nat 20 maymay
>>
>>54370166
>muh nat 20
Can't tell if this is bait or not. Best way to proceed would be a face full of breath weapon
>>
>>54370196
Sure, let him do it. Maybe nerf Spell Turning or Nondectection or whatever so it's not as magically immune and go for it.
>>
>>54370166
Persuasion skill was a mistake.
Prove me wrong.
>>
>>54369781
The conspiracy theory that they script Critical Role is really goofy to me. That would be so much more unnecessary effort than just playing for basically no benefit.
>>
>>54370296
What would you rather have for sweet-talking a guard into letting you into the city?
>>
File: nah.png (436KB, 591x547px) Image search: [Google]
nah.png
436KB, 591x547px
>>54369960
>any video-game-playing twat needs to get fucked.
>>
File: angeryyyyy.jpg (35KB, 538x254px) Image search: [Google]
angeryyyyy.jpg
35KB, 538x254px
>>54370051
>>54369960
someones fuckin mad. Like shit nigga, maybe someone said "hey I like this setting, I want to run my own adventure in it". and then you fucking storm in with a hammer and fuckin smash his computer screaming REEEEE YOUR NOT BEING ORIGINAL ENOUGH, ENJOYING SOMETHING FROM A DIFFERENT FORM OF MEDIA AND PUTTING IT IN YOUR OWN CAMPAIGN IS A SIN AAAAAHHH. like nigga no one gives a fuck if you dont like it, this man is asking for constructive feedback on something and you are screaming like he just cut off your hand because you don't like that it's from a video game. you screaming like this dude who is just asking for help is the harbinger of end times for table top games, instead of someone who thought "You know these games are nice, and I am either already playing or am getting into table top fantasy games, why not use this setting that I know and enjoy?"
>>
>>54369960
>t.I have no friends to play with
>>
File: Bill 5.jpg (29KB, 522x392px) Image search: [Google]
Bill 5.jpg
29KB, 522x392px
>>54370325
>>
>>54370296
There is nothing wrong with it. The problem is DM's that treat social checks the same way they treat someone picking a lock
>>
File: thumbs up.jpg (6KB, 200x252px) Image search: [Google]
thumbs up.jpg
6KB, 200x252px
>>54370325
thanks man
>>
>>54370286
The druid is actually me. I am going to ask the DM of course, just curious what /the/ thinks. As for immunity, that is admittedly part of the appeal, but honestly just having an interesting option besides the few worthwhile choices from the book would count for a lot, so I'd probably accept some sort of "whoops your wild shape doesn't duplicate the spell turning" Nerf.
>>
>>54370146
Bump for steering conversation away from spergs raging about TES and dms who don't understand the rule book.
>>
>>54370426
>/the/
That will teach me to phonepost.
>>
>>54370426
>>54370438
Maybe you could change the spell turning effects to be more targeted? For example, while elves get Fey Ancestry, maybe your cat could give spells that would try to move you around disadvantage? Just pick an effect that spell could have to be stronger against, instead of all spells.
>>
What brings more to the party? Druid or Nature Cleric?
>>
File: shitpost nonehteless.jpg (140KB, 680x684px) Image search: [Google]
shitpost nonehteless.jpg
140KB, 680x684px
>>54369960
>>54370051
never would have expected to see a stereotypical nerd rage in its full potential so easily
my sides are in orbit
>>
>>54370465
Depends on the player. Druids have a lot of cool options (especially with UA), although Clerics are cool with their religious fluff and crunch.
>>
So, playing my first Campaign of D&D ever right now. The DM is running Lost Mine of Phandelver. After this, as we're about half way through, he said we'd be doing Storm King's Thunder.

Anything I should be prepared for in particular?
>>
>>54370465
I assume you mean land druid, to make that comparison relevant. The other subclasses make it basically pointless to compare to nature cleric. It basically comes down to land spells versus cleric spells at that point, and while there are a couple lands with decent spell sets cleric stuff is just great to have around in general.
>>
>>54370075
Problem is i was asked to host a quick 6 hour game right this Thursday. Group wants a quick no strings attached game with fresh characters. So not much time for world building.

But yeah, i looked around, asked here just in case, and seems like i have to do it myself. Probably some sudden death "went for groceries - fell into ancient sand pit" dungeon run with a bunch of puzzles, hobgoblins, mummies, random medusa and obligatory devout female paladin NPC betraying party in the end.
>>
>>54370509
if it is a premade campaign you shouldn't be asking that kind of advice, the best way to enjoy it is just to be let go by what your GM has prepared

Remember that if it isn't gross pants on the head retarded railroading it is never a bad idea to follow what the GM has prepared for you
>>
>>54370541
Okay, cool. Thanks.
>>
>>54370509
Play a Stout Halfling or Green Dragonborn for Lost Mines
>>
>>54370560
Already playing a Bronze Dragonborn.
>>
>>54370580
class?
>>
>>54370595
Ranger.
>>
>DM wants us to roll
>Already decided what race and class I'm playing
This is going to end so badly
>>
>>54370580
>>54370603
>Ranger
>Bronze
Go Hunter and avoid BeastMaster
>>
>>54370603
make sure to use the revised rules from unearthed arcana
>>
Is it bad that I'm world building and drafting houserules for a campaign I have no intention of ever running?
>>
>>54370632
I doubt DM would let him do that, and Revised is pretty front loaded, I don't doubt DM would think it's OP
>>
>>54370643

Nah, I think a lot of us get there. Sometimes it's just good to have something for your mind to focus on.
>>
>>54370606
I love rolling stats with a decided race and class, it makes for more interesting characters.
>decided to play a half-orc ranger
>roll stats, 4d6 straight down
>17 Strength
>11 Dexterity
>9 Intelligence
Ended up playing a grappler with a giant crab who also grappled. We were unstoppable for the three sessions that campaign lasted.
>>
>>54370530
Wild sheep chase is cutesy, fun, and easy to just goof around with.
>>
>>54369948
Any suggestions on making it better? The level 6 and 14 abilities are dogshit. If I changed anything, it'd be that.
>>
>>54370625
Or don't metagame.
>>
>>54370657
I'm a GM and after reading the revised ranger, specially the beastmaster, thinking that it is OP is fucking retarded

The ranger is underwhelming, the unearthed arcana revision is only there to fix it
>>
>>54370530
Yeah, a quick dungeon crawl isn't hard to come up with. That might be your best bet, since lots of combat will keep a one-shot interesting.
>>
>>54370692
You come to this thread, you probably are a minmaxer, you are not the average player/DM.

Also, advantage on initiative, +2 damage and advantage on attacks in your first turn is pretty damn good at 1st level, especially when compared to a fighter or a barbarian.
>>
>>54368396
If you want to get really detailed with the relative power levels of each class, you'd be able to group them in general. On a grand scale the classes are extremely well balanced against each other, especially when compared to previous editions' tier lists.

In terms of top-tier classes, there is a certain disparity between casters and martials (which is normal as one has access to magic and the other is limited to "mundane" physical rules). Of course, a Fighter will definitely be able to have an impact, it's just that the versatility and utility of spells are almost impossible to make "fair" if a group of characters does not have access to it.

So all of this ordering is obviously subjective, it's just a general comparison between classes and certain archetypes that stand out in a good or bad way. I'm gonna ignore UA except for the Revised Ranger because you kind of have to consider it the real version.

Top-tier
>Wizard, Lore Bard
>Cleric. Paladin, Druid
>Sorcerer

Mid-tier
>Rogue, Fighter
>Barbarian, Revised Ranger
>Warlock
>Open Hand, Shadow Monk

Low-tier
>Champion Fighter
>Purple Dragon Knight Fighter
>Wot4E Monk

Justification to follow.
>>
>>54370681
The problem is that it seems to be trying to make the druid into a Diablo-style Necromancer pet class, which it really isn't. Perhaps completely overhaul those abilities and replace them with things that change or improve the Spirit Totem ability, which is actually interesting.
You could add more spirits, or empower the ones that are already there. Maybe allow for multiple to be out at once at higher levels, if that's not too broken.
>>
>>54370731
I put the most versatile casters at the top because of the sheer amount of difference they can make over the course of a session. I also put Paladins as top-tier because of how they can fill the role of single-target nova, "tank" as it is in 5e, and heal if shit goes south. Sorcerer I place at the bottom because they have a few issues when compared to other full-casters, though they are still rather strong if they are played well.

Rogue and Fighter are about equal in terms of what they bring to the table. Rogue has a little more utility than a Fighter along with a good burst of damage with Sneak Attack (which can be leveraged into a lot more with the right kind of support from the party), but Fighter can contribute a lot more meaningful damage. If feats are allowed in the game, then I'd consider Fighter better because of the Battlemaster+GWM/SS+PAM/CBE combo.

Barbarian and Revised Ranger both have a niche they can fill (wall of HP and survival utility, respectively). Barb in general is kind of weak when it comes to non-combat options, which is why I put them there. The ranger in general is dependent on how your DM wants to play, as he could just decide to skip exploration gameplay completely.

Warlocks are kind of annoying when it comes to power considerations. They're definitely not weak, but they rely on the DM playing the game as intended so that they can have enough Short Rests to benefit from their spellcasting feature. Otherwise, if you play them as a ranged martial with a little bit of spell versatility, you won't be disappointed. They do great for sustained direct damage with Eldritch Blast.
>>
>>54370722
>you probably are a minmaxer
I don't know shit about minmaxing, never done it in my life

in fact, a pair of my campaigns (not D&D5 system) were ruined by minaxers because I couldn't see them coming, but I never fucking learn
>>
>>54370749
>cont

Monk in general is relatively weak since the niche they fill can often be dealt with in a different way. However, their mobility and Stunning Strike paired with Flurry of Blows makes for a great way to fuck with enemy casters as well as quickly get rid of Legendary Resistances. They make good hit-and-run skirmishers but they need to allocate resources to so many places that they'll often feel stretched out.

For low-tier, there's honestly not much to be said about any of these. Class features are weak, with the exception being Champion's Survivor, but that's an 18th level feature and basically unreachable for the majority of players.
>>
>>54370731
>>54370749
>>54370764
that's a very well though response, although considering that it is subjective

the only one you forgot that I care about would be valor bard
>>
>>54370304
But anon, it's TRUE
http://dreamyplatypus.tumblr.com/post/162453653810/finally-a-proof-that-critical-role-is-scripted
>>
>Kenku names are normally noises based on what they do
What noises could I do for a Kenku Cleric?
>>
File: 8wEHbgl.png (58KB, 160x210px) Image search: [Google]
8wEHbgl.png
58KB, 160x210px
>>54370898
That's pretty funny
>>
>>54370906
Amen.
>>
>>54370802
Thanks. I really enjoy the fact that pretty much anything is a viable option with 5e, the benefits of the playtest and

>Valor Bard
I did forget about it since I isolated Lore Bard. I'd put it at the bottom of top-tier or the very top of mid-tier because they can get some very good spells to supplement their dip into martial abilities whilst maintaining the benefits of being a full caster. They remind me a lot of the older iterations of bards, a sort of hodgepodge of abilities and options that come together to form this weird mess of support, damage, and utility. They make true Jacks of All Trades.
>>
>>54370906
CAW
CAW
CAW
CAW
CAW
"Bunbumaru newspaper reporter"
CAW
CAW
CAW
CAW
CAW
CAW
>>
>>54370963
>the benefits of the playtest and community feedback showing. There were some good options that got cut but overall, I think WotC did well.
>>
File: magedoom.jpg (150KB, 421x540px) Image search: [Google]
magedoom.jpg
150KB, 421x540px
>>54370898

I think that show somehow just redeemed itself in my eyes. Something about self effacing humour that tickles me being a britfag.
>>
>>54370744
Exactly what I was thinking. I really don't care for mass pets in 5e. Just slows everything down IMO and people spend too much time trying to break the game with it.
>>
the fuck is critical theory?
>>
>>54371157
Yeah, that kind of class doesn't really work outside of a video game to give the pets AI.
>>
File: what a shit thread.jpg (35KB, 495x446px) Image search: [Google]
what a shit thread.jpg
35KB, 495x446px
https://twitter.com/DnDBeyond/status/886994750234140672

>WotC finally sells digital versions of their products Officially
>not PDFs, since they are easily-pirated
>but HTML-based pages, which will be pirated even more easily
>>
File: 1449281703168.jpg (66KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1449281703168.jpg
66KB, 500x375px
>>54371229
>>
>>54370906

>Kenku can't actually speak and just mimic what they've heard to imitate speech

All I can think of is the way Chef speaks in his final episode where he left the show so they just poorly edited a bunch of voice clips together to make him a pedo.

https://youtu.be/x7wXL2UDeFY?t=1m10s
>>
>>54371229
meh, I think a HTML page is marginally harder to pirate than a PDF page
>>
>>54371157
If you want to fix summoned pets, make them into an aura that allows a free attack within its range, and turns into temporary HP for the summoner.
>>
>>54371278
that's fucking hilarious
>>
>>54371303
You think wrong.

A webpage has all of its working parts exposed to the web browser. That is how the web works. Saving it for offline use is as easy at right click -> save as. Any identifying marks in the code can be removed manually at first, then automated, in the same way watermark removal is largely automated these days for PDFs.

Unlike PDFs, there is no locking mechanism, either. All web pages are open by their nature. Hell, most of the content could probably be just copy-pasted into Word and passed around as a word doc.
>>
>>54371229
Is the D&D Beyond app still not in either app store? I thought this shit was supposed to be in open beta?
>>
The critical role campaign setting is getting released. Any chance to see the pdf version around here? Won't pay 19 bucks to end up being shitty
>>
>>54371375
>Word doc
Absolutely disgusting.
>>
>>54371334
The class options for druid of the Shepherd do exactly that with a summoned totem. However it also tries to cram in a bunch of summoned pet shit too that doesn't really hit the the mark.
>>
>>54368117
Is there a rough consensus on how good each of the official module/adventure paths are?
>>
>>54371375
needing to manually go through and edit out javascript is a massive pain. what if the javascript is heavily minified and obfuscated? maybe the javascript is necessary to render the page. maybe its designed as a single page and the javascript periodically needs to fetch new content from the server. it can become a nightmare.
>>
>>54371377
The apps are I guess coming later, they must not be ready.
>>
>>54371547
That sucks. Doubly so because the website is basically useless without the non-SRD stuff.
>>
File: 1478940622839.png (180KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1478940622839.png
180KB, 480x360px
>>54370898
Not bad.
>>
>>54371480
STK is the best. Then I've only played CoS and OotA.
Out of the abyss has been extremely railroady.
CoS was fun enough
>>
Is there any way at all for a Barbarian to gain access to the goodberries spell? Maybe an item or something?
>>
>>54371688
Level of Druid
2 Levels of Ranger
Magical Initiate
>>
>>54371688
Eat goodberries
>>
>>54371688
I guess they could just get an enchanted stick or something
>>
>>54370086
It's because you need to do the double space to make a new line of reddit, as it ignores the first one, unless you put an extra space in, for some fucking reason.
>>
>>54370906
Choir songs
>>
>>54371278
>Kenku can't actually speak and just mimic what they've heard to imitate speech
Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra
Shaka, when the walls fell.
>>
>>54370906
The sound of church bells.
>>
>>54371391
all we need is some goy to actually buy the pdf now, it's out
>>
>>54370146
I mean, I dunno about a checklist, but try coming up with at least two interesting things each race does in your homebrew setting - so dwarves aren't just The Gold Miners, they're also the keepers of the libraries. Try to separate out multiple kingdoms or whatever per race so it's not "all elves are from Forestia".

But also emphasize that plenty members of any race do other things too. Like in Coast Town, there's a successful dwarf fisherman who's happy to charter his boat for sea adventurers. He doesn't care about the libraries or gold mines.
>>
I have a question regarding ruling.

My players found a sick noble, he has some brain parasites that cause him fever, vomit and other symptoms, one of my players casted lesser restoration on him. Does that take away the parasites from him brain or only cures temporarily the disease caused by them?
>>
>>54371906
Let's see then.
If i see enough good reviews, apart from fanboys, i'm gonna get it and post it here.
Eventually at least.
>>
>>54372128
I would say it cures the disease for a short time, so the noble can have a clear moment and give a clue or something like that.
But you can make it anything you want. If the quest is done with the lesser restoration, then go ahead and say it's cured. If you want to develop it further, then the parasites are not affected by the spell, it only helps for a little while.
>>
>>54372134
You're a good man, anon.
>>
>>54372128
>You touch a creature and can end either one disease...
I'd allow it unless you have a good plot-relevant reason not to.
>>
>>54368396
Only at high levels.

At high levels, everybody is the wizard's bitches, with bards and druids perhaps still being quite high up as well as paladins and clerics.
>>
What is the best base for a dervish style character, flying into combat like a whirlwind of shapened steel?

Berserker Barb with Finesse?
>>
>>54372214
they still haven't fixed the magical-physical barrier?

Well, at those levels the fighting classes would probably be armed to the teeth with all sorts of enchanted weapons to leverage a bit
>>
>>54372254
You're going to have to dual wield shortswords. Fighter gets a lot of attacks, which helps the whirlwind idea.
>>
>>54372263
The magic-physical barrier is going to be ever-present considering that a Fighter is just going to get better and better at "I hit that thing for massive damage" or "I help my friends hit that thing for massive damage" whereas a caster's magic can have a much wider effect.
>>
>>54372166
>>54372186
>I would say it cures the disease for a short time, so the noble can have a clear moment

That's how I ruled it, the thing is they were on the rush, so they cured him and parted away quickly, they are 5 days away from the town.

Plot wise is not something something important, it will spice things up because another noble (who is travelling with them) would inheret the barony and it would set some drama up but on the other hand I hate DM fiat of taking away power or agency from the players to railroad the story, so I want to rule completely based on rules.
>>
>>54372320
I mean I ruled it that way in the mean time, it doesnt matter though, they don't know if he is dead or not it can be changed.
>>
>>54372254
Hitting lots of targets? Ranger
Hitting the same target lots of times? Fighter
Dancing around enemies while hitting them and running away? Swashbuckler
Hitting an enemy lots of times while dancing around them then running away? Fighter with mobile
>>
>>54372306
well, I gather its more a matter of versatility now

because at least when a fighter does that only thing of hitting for massive damage he really makes a huge difference when hitting for massive damage whereas such thing was pathetic in 3.5ed
>>
>>54372320
You made a good call because as you said, the players accomplished something but you still left the door open for narrative consequences down the road.
>>
>>54370325
No, I'm saying that Elder Scrolls fans are cancer. Especially when they try to drag their shitty setting into D&D.
>>
>>54370906
"whish" for the sound of healing magic.
>>
>>54370346
Except I do. I play with them on a weekly basis, while you struggle to find people who want to run your shitty skyrim setting because (1) no one else likes skyrim, (2) you have no friends so you're stuck trolling for games on roll20, and (3) no one wants to play at 2:30 a.m. because that's the only time you can play between working 3 jobs and spending evenings watching your wife's son so she can go out clubbing with Tyrone and Jamal.
>>
Someone has the pdf of the shaman class by michael wolf?
>>
>>54372478
brutal. Savage. rekt.
>>
File: IMG_8721.jpg (43KB, 480x368px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8721.jpg
43KB, 480x368px
im going to be playing an aarakocra and he is going to be super frugal. is there any reason I cant just buy seeds/grain in bulk and use those in place of rations? a kiwi birdman wouldnt need the same diverse diet that a human would
>>
>>54372441
>whish
>healing
clearly you know nothing about spellcasting
>>
>>54372254
>>54372359
You could hypothetically just have each of the Fighter's attacks target different enemies. Though I'm fairly certain Hunter Ranger would give a better visual with the anti-crowd abilities.
>>
>>54372502
Buy seed rations, same price, just different food.
Is like an orc having dried meat, or an elf having dried fruit. Or a dwarf having rocks.
>>
>>54372254
Barbarogue with two shortswords.
>>
>>54372425
What about the setting is bad? I'm not familiar with it.
>>
>>54372540
but i want to go full jew and buy some shit like oats, barley or wheat for 5 cp a day and just scarf thatt shit down
>>
>>54372549
it's the minecraft of rpgs
>>
File: IMG_8499.jpg (67KB, 750x491px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8499.jpg
67KB, 750x491px
>>54372560
wew lad someone got robbed by an elder scrolls player
>>
>>54372560
>what did he mean by this
>>
>>54372557
Ah, yes, the Jew-Aarakocra. One of the best mixed races.

Just spend your money, food for a full year is cheaper than a few healing potions you damned bird
>>
>>54372590
I'm comparing the other post saying the fans are cancer, is not that hard to see.
>>
Would people be able to put up some 5e cheat sheets? Thanks heaps!
>>
>>54372618
Cheat sheets in regards to what exactly?
>>
>>54372478
>no one else likes Skyrim
Pretty sure they wouldn't be putting out Skyrim for Nokia NGage right now if there wasn't at least someone who liked it.
>the ol numale wagecuck stepson meme
lel
>>
>>54372636
that basic geometry class just killed me
>>
>>54368914
>14 wis
>For the guy who willingly rode a kelpie into the water
>>
>>54372647
to be fair, i thought for the longest time thunderwave was a 15 ft cube surrounding you
>>
>>54372614
Yeah but what's up with the setting itself? They can be considered independently of each other.
>>
Which wizard school would be ideal for a chef? Transmutation? Conjuration? Artificer?
>>
Is there pet sheet?
>>
>>54372682
None of them, chef seems like more of a bard thing.
>>
>>54372478
>no one else likes skyrim
If nobody liked skyrim they wouldn't have rereleased it like 6 times now
>>
So, I'm a relatively new DM, and I'm having some issues conveying space and distance for my players in combat. We've tried jumping on grid and tile based combat, but, my players say it really breaks the immersion of the game for them, and really makes the whole experience a lot less fun. I was wondering if there was something that was in between full theater of the mind and doing a watered down war game to help my players better understand what is happening in combat?
>>
>>54372361
it's mainly just the fact that high-end spells start doing all sorts of amazing stuff (as they should) but if you're not a 9th level caster you're just doing more of the same. even a more utility focused class like the rogue doesn't get any better at skills after level 11. as it stands you're usually better off dipping in another class than continuing all the way to 20.
>>
>>54372700
Which bard college then? None of them really seem to fit.
>>
Rate my party:

Revised beastmaster scimitar dual wielder with a giant Pommeranian (wolf refluffed) as companion, dark wood elf

Tome warlock, Loth patron, drow with medium armor master

Bladesinger Eladrin, rapier wielding

Half elf Paladin, plate and PAM
>>
>>54372712
use a ruler or some kind of reference object on a non-grid map, and be loose with movement. 25~35 feet is ok, instead of hard wired 30 for a regular everyday emo half-elf
>>
>>54372660
Yeah but did he know he could take it on?
>>
>>54372636
Yeah, basically that, what happens in a round and all that. Thanks heaps bro.
>>
>>54372720
>dark wood elf
Isn't that just a drow? Kill on sight
>Drow warlock worshipping lolth
Also kill on sight
>>
>>54372744
>dark wood elf

I wanted a Drow but the +1 to charisma was lost in a ranger so I used a wood elf. She has 120 ft dark vision and light sensitivity, all the rest is just a wood elf.
>>
>>54372767
Ok so it's a drow, kill on sight remains
>>
>>54372774
kos the BEST RACE on the entire game? blasphemy
>>
>>54372720
>dark wood elf
Is this brown dark or blue dark? Take into account that the answer to this will determine if your character will or will die
>>
File: 2m5h30o.jpg (22KB, 540x611px) Image search: [Google]
2m5h30o.jpg
22KB, 540x611px
>>54372734
I'll start throwing in a reference then for them to follow. I was already being loose on the distance of the arena a bit anyway, is there anything else I can do though? These are just some examples off the top of my head that I'm doing right now.

Right now I include a rough estimate of room size:
"You step into room of roughly sixty feet in size..."

In combat, I ensure I tell the players what direction the enemy is coming towards them and how far they are:
"The goblin charges you from around twenty feet away, jumping into your party with a bomb strapped to its chest as its brethren start to load their crossbows from across the room, roughly 40 feet away."
>>
>>54372791
It's a drow, they're evil and must be killed on sight. Sorry
>>
I'll be starting in a mid to high level campaign, starting at level 5 next week. We'll be doing a session zero to establish common history etc, but we should bring characters to the table.
I was thinking of making a fey warlock 3 (or 4 for the feat), OA paladin x.
Defence or dueling fighting style?

Should I be more melee heavy, or casting heavy:

Half-elf, pact of the tome
Book of ancient secrets + Agonizing blast
Potential feats: war caster + spell sniper
Defence Fighting style?
Warlock spells: shillelagh, EB, find familiar, identify, green flame blade, mage hand, hex faerie fire, hold person and suggestion or calm emotions.
General strategy would rely on using CHA for all damage through shillelagh for melee, and buffs/ EB blasting for range. High con + plate for concentration and survivability. ASI would be valuable for CHA to increase the spell DC and melee damage.

13 (for plate)

Or Human (v. human if allowed) Pact of blade
Thirsting blade + agonizing blast
(Long)Sword + board or polearm
Defence or dueling fighting style?
Potential feats: (2) PAM + sentinel or 1 war caster/ inspiring leader/ spells sniper

Thirsting blade gives two attacks from the start, and 3 once I hit level 8. PAM + sentinel gives nice stickiness in combat, while sword and board increases survivability a bit. Spells will be used for hex and smites.

16 (16)
9 (8)
16 (16)
9 (8)
9 (10)
16 (14)
(feat)
>>
I really want to do battles on a hex grid but I'm sure there's a slew of drawbacks I'm not seeing beyond rooms now having some space that cant be occupied.

Anyone have experience doing battles on a hex grid?
>>
>>54372850
You deserve the future invasion
>>
>in a town with a giant evil tower
>it's protected by a barrier so our giant 120 foot tall statue we can control can't break it
>in the castle now
>i'm still not sure if the barrier generator is in the castle or the actual tower
I almost died from one blast from this fucking tower. I really want to dismantle it.
>>
Is there some sort of item or spell that works to clear up fog and effects that would fuck with your vision?

There's a set of islands that have this unnatural fog surrounding them, and if/when people do go there, they'd need something that can clear up vision so the ship's captain can navigate properly
>>
>>54372850
>Who is Drizzt
>>
>>54372898
Cited as the sole exception of drow that are not evil, and while some might try to kill him on sight he is also famous enough to NOT be killed on sight by a lot of people.
>>
>>54372870
there's nothing inherently good or bad about hex grids as long as you realize that it will cause changes in aoe's, a 20ft radius on a square grid is different than a 20' radius on a hex grid.
>>
>>54369509

To me, Redguard would make more sense with +2 Dex, +1 Str. IIRC, their major trait was agility and endurance, maybe they can take an attack as a bonus action after dashing?

>>54369638

I would actually argue +Wis instead of +Int. To me, they're less wizards and more druids or clerics. Personal taste though.
>>
>>54372897
There's some wind spells but I don't think they are powerful enough to clean a whole island
>>
>>54372957
Wouldn't be a whole island, just enough so that people could actually see that they're close to the island, or any dangers to the ship that might be just under the surface that they'd have to go around
>>
File: 891712-Shaman_Class_v1.5.4.pdf (327KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
891712-Shaman_Class_v1.5.4.pdf
327KB, 1x1px
>>54372488
>>
>>54372977
Gust of Wind
>>
>>54372977
there's no wind spell, currently, that would be usable for that sort of intent. you would need to cover quite a large distance for a ship to have any real means of avoiding trouble. Your best bet would be Control Winds, but that only affects a 100ft cube and is a 5th level spell.
>>
>>54372870
The only drawback I've found is the half-hexes, everything else is largely an improvement
>>
>>54372897
There's Control Weather, but that's a L8 spell. You could always homebrew something, like a spyglass or glass eye that ignores fog and mist (magical or otherwise).
>>
>>54373012
Thank, have some anime tiddies
>>
>>54372977
just make some magic doohickey that blows a constant magic gust in front of the ship. emphasise thqt the wind isn't strong enough for combat purposes. sell them at a nearby town for 100 go or some shit
>>
>>54373103
At least make it on-topic cheesecake
>>
What's the point of keen senses on a half elf when skill versatility is strictly better?
>>
>>54373039
To clarify, I'd make it so the captain has this making him and his crew experts and navigating tricky places.
>>
>>54369509
Would force resistance really make sense on Bretons? I would just use something similar to gnome cunning to represent their magic resistance

Nords and Redguards seem kind of lacking, but all I can think of for Nords is that frost attack or a second resistance to electric that some games have given them. As for redguards they've never really had anything flashy that I can think of as working well on racial features, but I feel like it should be some sort of weapon perk that isn't just a proficiency
>>
>>54370166
That was a silly mistake, friend. My advice: if you don't want your PCs to do something then don't make them roll for it. You should have treated it as a instant, "No." It's a freaking Gold Dragon's hoard for cryin' out loud.

That being said, I would increase monster stats or introduce some characters that want to steal their items.
>>
>>54373243
Or let them roll if they insist, and just have the dragon laugh at their pitiful effort.
>>
>>54373199
>gnome cunning
>norse resistance to lightning
good idea, I'll like it

>>54372928
>2dex +1str
I was going to choose that but changed because it would be the same as argonian, but I'm going to change the argonian to +2dex +1int

there is this suggestion on the other thread >>54373229 but I'm unsure of giving too many special things, since the homebrew system we are moving from had only roleplaying differences between races save a very unimportant stat increase (+1 only to one stat)
>>
>>54373284
Also very true.
>>
File: 1301010308839.jpg (47KB, 520x473px) Image search: [Google]
1301010308839.jpg
47KB, 520x473px
>>54372134
You have my thanks, anon.
>>
>>54373301

Well, with my understanding of 5e, but not of your homebrew; Redguard doesn't have anything appealing to it. Weapon proficiencies are only super-appealing to full-casters, since the 5e half-casters (ranger and paladin), and pure martials (barbarian, fighter) already get simple AND martial weapon proficiency.
>>
>>54372926
>>54373073

Thank you both. I really like hex grids for things like movement and AoE, but was worried there was going to be a slew of things a hex grid screws up.
>>
>>54373199
How about redguards can never roll below 2 on damage dice
>>
>>54372870
Full of half hexes in more human like buildings.

Hexes are okay in caves
>>
>>54373566
Some sort of "reroll on a 1 or 2" would make a lot of sense. The only thing with that is you should probably write it in a way it doesn't make that two handed weapon fighting style choice (more) pointless
>>
>>54373449
my homebrew in a lot of senses is similar to D&D5 with a d100 and some changes. The normal difficulty is to roll over 50 on a d100 and you add +5 for every point in the corresponding stat, for example, rolling acrobatics with 4 points in agilityy is a d100+20

there are the 8 stats of daggerfall:
strength:adds damage to any physical attacks, including bows
agility: adds bonus to hit
resistance:reduces damage from physical attacks, armor ads resistance instead of working like AC
intelligence: increases magicka reserves, clases start with 50mp. Spellcasters starting with more, a wizard starting with 100) and each int point add +10pm to the reserves
willpower: used to resist ALL magical effects. Even damaging spells like fireball can be resisted with a roll of willpower (the base chance of resisting these is 0%, with each point in willpower it increases by 5% up to a soft cap around 50%)
Per: doubles as personality and perception. Added together because in such a combat-centric game both of them separated were disgustingly useless
Speed: every 3 points of speed adds an extra action in combat
luck: for shits and giggles and determining loot and effects, more useful than it sounds

Characters start with 3points determined by their class and 1 etermined by their race. Each race also has a resistance to an element or negative status effect
imperial=+1per, resitance to mute
breton=+1will, resistance to raw magic (magic missile)
norse=str, resistance to cold
redguard=res, resistance to sleep
Altmer=int, resistance to paralisis
Bosmer=speed, resistance to poison
Dunmer=luck, resistance to fire
Argonian=bonus hitpoints (10), resistance to diseases
Khajit=agility, resitance to blindness

There are 20 classes that can be seen here
http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:Intrinsic_Classes
the only difference are the skills known, the armor that can be worn, the starting MP and the HP gained by level. Things like weapon restrictions, rapid healing or resistances are out
>>
>>54373012
What's the >quickrundown on this? Elemental Warlock?
>>
>>54373827
forgot to add that, with such little difference between classes, I of course let my players modify their class to change the skills they want in order to have, for example, destruction magic in primary as a healer or medical as a barbarian and the such
>>
>>54373827
I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but this doesn't really seem anything like DnD to me. More power to you if any of the suggestions somehow helped I guess
>>
>>54373867
Some of the archetypes are elemental, yeah. Another is about the dead and the spirits.
>>
My DM is a bit of an autist and is not letting me play my homebrew race in his campaign, according to him: "(they're) grossly unbalanced and don't fit from a lore point of view in my world", even though variant human is much better and the lore part is pure autism, your homebrew world is not some master piece that no one else can touch, it is just a place where a group of friends have fun.

They are called Grays, they come from the farm realm and they look like ayyylmaos (this is why they are called Grays. They don't usually live in the material plane but my character has amnesia and he appeared in the material world so is not necessary to explain why he is there.

Size: small
Movement: 25 feet
Aligment: usually evil but there are exceptions, neutral in law vs chaos (I am playing a true neutral, I am not a dick)
Darkvision 60 feet
Knows: minor illussion and friends, innately (cantrips)
Proficiency in: investigation, stealth
Can use INT for stealth checks (mental powers)
Intelligence +2, Dex +1
At lvl 2 he learns telephaty
Languages: common, Deep speech
At lvl 5 he can use misty step every short rest

How is it any better than variant human, it is perfectly balanced
>>
>>54369509
Give Redguards proficiency in Athletics, and maybe the ability to walk through sand at normal speed.
Remove Dunmer's sunlight sensitivity, and alter their starting spells to reflect an ancestral spirit and fire stuff. I would also consider making them get +2 Dex +1 Int
>>
Man Roll20 has really gone to shit

>pay me $20 per session
>pay me $4 an hour to play in my campaign
>paying money to play D&D through your computer with complete strangers

I just don't get it. How fucking desperate do you have to be? I'd rather go down to the gamestore that's about 26 miles away to play with whatever specimens I could scrape off the floor there than pay some random GM online to play with random shitheads
>>
>>54373914
I pointed out the things that are completely different to not waste time, somethings that are the same or extremely similar are the HP and hit dice, rolling to hit (on d100 instead of d20), rolling for damage and the damage of weapons, movement, actions in combat...
>>
File: 1499636529814.png (13KB, 640x606px) Image search: [Google]
1499636529814.png
13KB, 640x606px
>>54373957
Maybe he just doesn't want you to play as a homebrew alien in his medieval fantasy game just a thought
>>
>>54373957
It looks balanced enough. I wouldn't want players playing as a meme race if I actually cared about the setting though. Ironically you could basically just play as that halfling subrace from the sword coast book then shave it's head and basically end up with the same shit
>>
File: douk.png (115KB, 242x219px) Image search: [Google]
douk.png
115KB, 242x219px
>>54373957
>my character has amnesia
>>
>>54373969
>walk through sand
or I can make it so they are the only race to have speed of 40 instead of 30 like the rest
>spells to reflect an ancestral spirit and fire stuff
produce flame, hellsh rebuke and flaming sphere
>+2dex +1int
noted
>>
>>54373957
it might be balanced, but the concept is insanely stupid
>>
>>54373957
>My DM is a bit of an autist and is not letting me play my homebrew race in his campaign
>homebrew race
No, anon. You are the autists.
>>
>>54373957
>wants to play aliens
>In a fantasy game
>"come on man, your world you put your time into is just like, a place to have fun dude"
>>
>>54374108
>visitors from the far realm
>stupid

So you dont like mind flayers either?
>>
>>54373957
He's right, you're a retard.
>>
>>54374150
He said Farm Realm, not Far Realm. Presumably these are the aliens from Signs.
>>
>>54374150
in the form of ayylmaos? fucking no
>>
>>54374150
I do think PC mind flayers are stupid, but don't pretend playing as Ayyylmao is even the same thing
>>
>>54373957
>They don't usually live in the material plane but my character has amnesia and he appeared in the material world so is not necessary to explain why he is there.
Could you even hoist a bigger red flag.
>>
>>54374169
>campaign grinds to a halt when he has to open a door
>>
>>54374196
I guess he could have tried to make a race out of pepes or wojaks
>>
>>54372736
With 16 Str, 14 Dex, and 20 Con? Probably.
>>
>>54374169
>aliens from Signs
Demons, bro.
>>
Probably sounds dumb, but how do I design an "adventuring" area? Let's say I have a town and I want to fluff the area around it out with interesting locations, landmarks, and dungeons. What do I do?
>>
File: KotB.jpg (12KB, 195x258px) Image search: [Google]
KotB.jpg
12KB, 195x258px
>>54374387
>>
>>54373957

This is fucking retarded.
>>
>>54373957
I think you're the autist.
>>
>>54374406
Keep on the borderlands is worth mining for ideas? I've heard a few good things about it.
>>
>>54374387
Support what you have set up in your town with the surrounding areas.

Port town? Have some sea caves and trouble with kraken priests. Near a forest? Pissy druids and having to escort merchants through the forest and kill wolves. Mountains only a sneeze away? Set up conflict with some dwarves.

Then go and make the opposite area in another part of the world.

What about the people of the town? Maybe they're very superstitious due to a haunted bog nearby. Maybe they're a hot spot for worship of a certain deity - put them in conflict with an opposing group of worshipers.

Don't forget to take ideas from your players. Ask them about their character's home town, previous travels, what kind of story hooks they'd be interested in. Let them do some of the work for you, and engage them.
>>
>>54373984
Usually they are either

a) the sort that have decent jobs and want to play together as a group instead of one of them having to "miss out" as GM

b) the sort of people that can't even function around fellow troglodytes
>>
>>54374149
There's nothing wrong with aliens in a fantasy game.
There IS something wrong with
a) having amnesia
b) being a "monstrous" race in most settings / parties
c) being the single exemplar of that race
>>
How does fog cloud work? Who can see whom between someone in the fog cloud and someone outside the fog cloud?
>>
>>54374590

More importantly, how does a Warlock with a crab familiar and voice of the chain master work?
>>
>sorcerer
>human who has the blood of an ice dragon
>so Ray of Frost and Ice Knife do more damage
>still feel fucking lame
My campaign is almost over, so I'm gonna roll a new character soon, but sometimes I roll like shit and I feel like I'm not doing much. Are monks fun to play? I was thinking between that or something else.
>>
>>54374590
If fog is between you and whatever you're targeting you probably can't see them very well. Why would it be otherwise?
>>54374628
I feel like the ability is very clear on this
>>
>>54374658
>Are monks fun to play?
Yes.
>>
>>54374658
Way of the Shadow lets you do the whole *teleports behind you* thing which is fun
>>
>>54373957
That's why you have to ask this things before the session, if the group is ok with homebrew stuff and if having a alien in the party don't upset anybody. But you know, it's not just YOUR race, it's the same saying you want to play a Spellweaver.
>>
>>54374149
This is the uppity autism im talking about. You are not Tolkien, it is just your shitty homebrew world.
>>
>>54368484

thumbs down.
>>
>>54371278
that remains one of the pettiest things that Matt and Trey have ever done
which is saying something since half the show is pettiness
>>
File: 96spellweave3.jpg (61KB, 413x468px) Image search: [Google]
96spellweave3.jpg
61KB, 413x468px
>>54374715
forget the pic related
>>
>>54374676

Like, if the crab has blindsight and normal sight, and I position it and myself inside the Fog Cloud so it can use its blindsight to see through the cloud and out into open space, can I use it as a faux Devil's Sight + Darkness?
>>
>>54368484
It's shit.
>>
>>54374716
I never claimed I was mother fucker, I just said this was a fantasy world that someone actually put time into to make, and aliens dont fit in it and you STILL try to put it in. If he says no, then you ain't gettin your fuckin gay ass aliens in the setting from whatever fucking wheat field existence the farmrealm is.
>>
What would be a good mechanic for a magic ritual for a GOO warlock to create magic items?
I decided that in order to create a magic item they have to sacrifice some sort of magical component like a unicorn's horn. But I wanted some sort of personal risk to the warlock since they are meddling with powers beyond their comprehension.

Any thoughts?
>>
>>54374585
Then just reject the idea of him having amnesia dont throw away the hours I worked on my homebrewed race.
>>
>>54374779

>Hours

You're full of shit.
>>
>>54374585
A and C are completely true, although I think B is pretty fun if everyone agrees on how it will work. Playing an orc who has to disguise themselves when they enter town seems like it would be fun.
>>
>>54374778
Could have something to do with his patron. Could have a risk of open a path to some monsters looking foward to get in the material plane. You also could make him use half his HP because he need to soak the items with blood or something similar.
>>
>>54374779
Explain why the party is hanging out with a gray alien and why no one freaks out and stabs this fucking monster.
>>
>>54374323
Then it was about as unwise as a Paladin 1v1ing a goblin.
>>
>>54372682
Transmutation, it could be used very well for presentation/making use of ingredients.
>>
>>54373174
They fucked it up. You now get Fleet of Foot instead.

>>54373957
Have a (You), you've earned it.
>>
>>54373957
That's some good bait, right there.
>>
All I want is to battle a Mindflayer Wizard that only speaks in Pink Floyd Lyrics.
>>
>>54371398
Just convert to pdf.
>>
>>54374833
That a good idea. For flavor I had him make a blood sacrifice and he chose a goat. Maybe I'll have a spawn of Shub Niggurath be unleashed on the countryside as a consequence. His patron is Cthulhu since we all have a fascination with Lovecraft.
>>
>>54375120
>Maybe I'll have a spawn of Shub Niggurath be unleashed on the countryside as a consequence.
A Catoblepas might be fun
>>
File: camoc.jpg (112KB, 913x282px) Image search: [Google]
camoc.jpg
112KB, 913x282px
Is this artifact retarded?
>>
>>54374836
Why would he be stabbed? Why wouldn't a party accept him? He is just a weird creature why would people assume he is evil.
>>
File: gray.jpg (17KB, 219x320px) Image search: [Google]
gray.jpg
17KB, 219x320px
>>54375260
Because he's clearly a fucking illithid or ultroloth.
>>
>>54372913
>Drow kos meme
Are you saying that the setting for 5e is only Forgotten Realms?
>>
>>54375260
Because at some point you're going to come across a scholarly person who knows about the far realms creatures and that person will incite a witch hunt to try and kill it
>>
>>54375315
Not him, but it is the default.
>>
>>54375332
You don't even have to wait for a scholar to say, "Shit, this thing looks like it's from another dimension or is one of >>54375305".

Just watch this fucker get strung up by the ignorant townsfolk of every hamlet, village, and city you walk by, and the party too for consorting with it.
>>
>>54375232
It depends, to someone have 50 hit points or more to spend every long rest he need to be a pretty high level character. And of course, no one will use ALL of their HP to do something like this.

On the other hand I like the Camoc's Razor restoring hit points since the character will have lost almost if not all his HP, I just don't know if once per day, with the 8d6 necrotic damage, is the best solution for this
>>
>>54375232
Ah yeah. The loss of 50 hit points is not worth basically any artifact especially some shitty +3 weapon
>>
>>54375362
*50 HP in certain long rests, not everyone of them.
>>
File: 1346278063191.jpg (34KB, 278x278px) Image search: [Google]
1346278063191.jpg
34KB, 278x278px
>>54372682
>>54372719
>>
>>54375362
Your hit point max is reduced by 50.

So a level 20 Fighter with 20 CON has 224 or 174 with this weapon. It's trash.
>>
>>54375404
Both bards would be acceptable, really.
>>
new bread?
>>
>>54375493
We're only on page 7. Have patience.
>>
>>54375335
I thought I read about the fact that drows were barely known to surface dwellers thanks to elves obscuring their existence.
>>
Rolled 9, 4, 13, 19, 11, 6 = 62 (6d20)

>>54375493
Too soon. Now it's officially stat-rolling time.
>>
>>54375315
No but in the context of fucking drizzt existing then yes it's FR

Drow are typically kill on sight UNLESS OTHERWISE STATED BY YOUR DM IN HIS SETTING. Its safe to assume drow are evil unless he specifically brings it up.
>>
Rolled 20, 5, 10, 11, 14, 9 = 69 (6d20)

>>54375541
Let's roll me up a Wizard
>>
>>54375545
>implying most NPCs even know what a drow is
>>
Rolled 10, 8, 1, 12, 16, 1 = 48 (6d20)

>>54375555
>20 strength
You can cast fist
>>
>>54375513
That might have been two systems ago before some of the most well-known and influential assholes in the Sword Coast were Drow with massive land holdings and enough magical items shoved down their pants to make an original -igby jealous.
>>
Rolled 1, 9, 7, 3, 11, 19 = 50 (6d20)

>>54375541
Shut-in wizard with arthritis

>>54375555
Muscle wizard, topped with quads

>>54375572
I'm so sorry, anon
>>
>>54375305
>>54375355
Flumphs are aberrations yet they are good creatures an scholar would know that not everything from or touched by the farm realms is evil.
>>
Rolled 2, 6, 1, 17, 13, 18 = 57 (6d20)

>>54375560
Sure maybe in small towns and such

Enter any major city and there will be huge problems resulting in the death of your drow
>>
>>54375613
>farm realms
I kek every time
>>
>>54375613
Historically speaking, not everything that is Aberrant is from, corrupted by, or connected to the Far Realm.
>>
>>54375190
>Catoblepas
I'm not sure how I feel about Death Ray. Seems kind of bullshit.
>>
File: ultroloth.png (307KB, 378x480px) Image search: [Google]
ultroloth.png
307KB, 378x480px
>>54375613
>You are mistaken, mortal scholar! I am no mind-rending creature from the Far Realm (though I do confess to having the power to rend minds), nor am I one of the rulers of the fiendish realms with mind powers (yet again, I do have mind powers). I am totally trustworthy and completely benign. Why would any such creature--or myself--have cause to lie about their origin?
>>
Rolled 8, 8, 16, 6, 15, 2 = 55 (6d20)

Jealous?
>>
>>54375773
Hill dwarf moon druid it is
>>
Rolled 7, 17, 17, 10, 17, 6 = 74 (6d20)

>>54375773
you fear my POWER?
>>
>>54375541
I'm in. Half-Orc War Cleric

>>54375404
Sorry, I had a reply queued and promptly forgot to post it. I'd say that the Valor Bard is a better fit because it feels more flavourful (in the sense that it could be played more reliably as the butcher that hunts his own meat or something similar). Otherwise, you could have a Lore Bard work as well. Have the Cutting Words feature be you hurling insults like Gordon Ramsey.

Refluff Song of Rest as the bard whipping up a nice and hearty magically-infused meal for the camp. Don't know what you'd do for Countercharm but I'm too lazy to figure it out right now.

Also to the asshole that keeps posting CP on mobile and banning the cell towers around me, go fuck yourself.
>>
Rolled 13, 1, 11, 3, 3, 14 = 45 (6d20)

>>54375828
Omg fuck me sideways I love phoneposting
>>
Rolled 5, 1, 8, 16, 5, 20 = 55 (6d20)

>>54375572
>>54375605
>>54375616
>>54375773
>>54375850
What's with all these plebian rolls today?
>>
>>54375728
>"where am I from? I am from... uh... the uh... FARM realm, yes! The farm realm is not at all related to the far realm in anyway"
>>
Rolled 18, 14, 11, 7, 2, 4 = 56 (6d20)

I will show you true power
>>
I just noticed /tg/ doesn't have the sticky on how2roll anymore... when did that happen?
>>
File: Enchantment Gems.png (146KB, 1794x884px) Image search: [Google]
Enchantment Gems.png
146KB, 1794x884px
Alright, I feel instead of a giant wall of text a card might make this easier to digest.

What do you guys think about these? Should the slotted items require attunement?
>>
>>54375907
you hid it
>>
>>54375894
>High STR
>High DEX
>High CON
>Brainlet
Perfect for the Muhreens
>>
>>54374658
Considering it doesn't sound like you're awfully experienced I'd say 'no'. Monk oddly requires a bit of care to make work properly.
>>
>>54375922
Oh fug, right, 4chanx does that now
>>
>>54375946
>thinks 11 is high CON
Found the neckbeard who has to regulate his breath after going up the flight of stairs from his basement nest.
>>
Rolled 4, 11, 12, 6, 3, 6 = 42 (6d20)

Flee before my might, lesser beings
>>
is there a tetris invetory management rule for 5e?
>>
>>54376079
Holy shit are you tiax?
>>
>>54376093
No because this isn't Diablo
>>
File: mr-burns-laughing.gif (2MB, 176x144px) Image search: [Google]
mr-burns-laughing.gif
2MB, 176x144px
>>54376079
>>
>>54376106
>3 WIS
don't think so
>>
>>54376138
>>54376138
>>54376138
>>54376138

New thread
>>
Rolled 20, 15, 12, 13, 18, 14 = 92 (6d20)

I'll be the first to roll above 80
>>
>>54376198
Impressive.
>>
>>54375232
It's actually overpowered.
At the cost of half of a fighter's health, they can increase their damage THREEFOLD, and once every day perhaps increase that to four or fivefold as well as giving ridiculous recovery.
'Oh no!' you say. 'They lost 50 health!'
Big woopedy fucking doo.

You can have a teammate with aid and inspiring leader boost you, grab tough and heck just realize that if you do go down to 0 a cleric can just heal you for 1 HP. Just beware of massive damage.

Everybody else's damage will be irrelevant while you do around about 50d6 a turn effortlessly.
Thread posts: 378
Thread images: 41

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.