[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Board Game General /bgg/ - Download Apk Edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 321
Thread images: 38

File: oie_IQixx1leHGdZ.jpg (42KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
oie_IQixx1leHGdZ.jpg
42KB, 500x500px
Last thread:
>>54293823
Pastebin:
>http://pastebin.com/NA2W929q

>What do you think about digital versions of boardgames?

>Do you have some apps to recommend?

I'm just waiting for Friday to get at 1$ to buy it since the Onirim app feel smoother than the card version
>>
Let's get it out of the way

Is the Game of Thrones board game good?
>>
>>54366092
Not really.
>>
Kingdomino wins 2017 Spiel des Jahres. A worthy winner?
>>
>>54366092
>plastic pusher
>burgerspielen
>tacked on flavour of the month theme

gonna guess no, try a real game like Santorini or Jaipur
>>
Which popular game do you really hate?
>>
>>54366540
Monopoly
>>
>>54366987
Widespread is not the same as popular.
>>
>>54366411
>plastic pusher
>burgerspielen
Literal retard detected.
>>
>>54366540
All hyped cooperatives, flavour of the month "solitaire le engine builders", all legacy games (literally zero good stuff with such interesting concept), all shit that uses the apps (if i want to play fucking videogame, i`m gonna play fucking videogame).
>>
>>54366077
On the topic of apps, has anyone tried the Terra Mystica app? Is it worth the $10 price tag?

>>54366540
Here's my opinion >>54368609
>>
>>54366540
CROSSPOST
I don't think I've ever played a game I hate. Most likely because I'm the only person in my group that actually buys games, and I don't buy anything I'm not reasonably sure I'll enjoy. That being said I'm toeing the line for hating Fury of Dracula. Like a 5/10. It's okay, it works, but I don't like it.

OPINIONS FOLLOW:

Despite each turn being a small choice of where to go there's a lot of downtime between phases as the hunters have to discuss, decide, and re-think every step they've made in order to corner Dracula, which can be extremely easy or difficult to depending on the assist cards you/BIG D draw. Dr. D can spend a LONG time just staring at the other players as they argue about where and when.

The combat in intriguing, but only happens two, maybe three times a game, and lasts for all of a hot minute each time as Double Ds is typically trying to escape ASAP.

Additionally the first four or five turns are practically wrote if you want a good chance of succeeding. Mina Jovavich and a tag-a-long have to spend their first hunk of the game just popping across borders to get that bat-dar to ping, while the others would patrol further out chokepoints until Mina-bo-bina calls for the Avengers to assemble. I would much rather have Smackula just set up four or so spots on his trail and then announce which section he's in and give the hunters a few cards each, just to skip that painfully boring, repetitious beginning.

And speaking of the hunter cards, I think there should be a progression as opposed to just the whole fat stack being randomized. The 'make durkadur reveal the (4th/5th I forget) spot in his trail' should come out early while the 'pick X city, Dubs has to reveal that card' should be a late game card, because A is useless in the late game and B is all but useless in the early game. (And guess what? NO SAVING THEM FOR LATER, GOTTA USE THEM NOW FUCKBOI) As well as some of the negative hunter cards are massively debilitating early game.
>>
>>54367239
You have a lot of hate my friend. Yet I'll agree with you on most of it.

>"Hyped" cooperatives
This is where we disagree. I'm not sure which co-ops you count as hyped but I've got nothing against the genre, so...

>FotM Engine Builders
Some engine builders are OK, even ones that are fairly solitaire-y, but there is a serious glut, like they've been coming out via kickstarter in droves for the last year+ and from major publishers, and most of them are pointless. I feel like we need a Solitaire Engine Builder Hunger Games, so we can cull each pack of 24 of the fuckers down to 1.

>Legacy
I keep hoping something good will come out of this genre because I love campaign play, and I've heard decent things about Gloomhaven in that regard, but then I realized that basically any game with a good campaign mode has the draw of Legacy without the downsides.

>Apps
Fuck that shit. I have less animosity towards experimental ARG shit like World of Yo Ho, I won't play it but I won't hate it, and to games that add an app as an option but keep analog mode available like I've heard they've done with Descent, but whoever decided to make Mansions of Madness App *required* to play with no option for a human keeper needs to have rusty tetsubos shoved into random orifices until they repent.
>>
>>54366092
Most of the aGoT games are not that great. "A Game of Thrones: The Board Game" is the best of them, and certainly not bad, but too long for it's virtues. Strictly inferior to Dune/Rex in my book.
>>
>trying to get some work done in the morning for once
>forget to bake, 2 threads
I will follow my co-op hating dopplegamer, even if he is wrong on the genre.

>>54369760
Well it's not really supposed to compare to Dune/not-Dune, it's supposed to compare to Diplomacy, and there I'd say it's a wash (better for some, worse for others)
>>
File: first martians.jpg (14KB, 246x246px) Image search: [Google]
first martians.jpg
14KB, 246x246px
>First Martians: How To Play
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7AdJIjsF04

I'm hyped, but I'll be honest... I had trouble following after 20-25 minutes. It all looks so cool but there's a lot to chew and after a while my eyes just started to kinda glaze over.
>>
>>54370281
Yeah, but I've never actually PLAYED diplomacy, so I hesitate to use that as a point of reference. Seems a lot more dry than aGoT though.
>>
File: Sequence.jpg (213KB, 1578x558px) Image search: [Google]
Sequence.jpg
213KB, 1578x558px
Has anyone ever played board games in thematic sequence, stringing them together in a 'campaign' of sorts, even if the mechanics are disconnected?

I picked up Planetarium and Sol: Last Days of a Star on Kickstarter, and I thought playing the two together could be an interesting double feature, one game about the formation of a solar system, one about fleeing it's inevitable demise.

Have you paired any games like that, or created longer sequences? Any games you'd recommend as in theme with Planetarium and Sol, since there's a pretty large gap between them? Could you tell some sort of complete history of life on earth and the solar system as a whole in board game form, and if so what games would you use for each stage?
>>
>>54370517
It is which is why aGoT is better for most, Diplomacy is wonderful for classrooms studying WWI history though (though you'd want good pieces like that anon who bought 3d printed plastic, and a board that isn't ugly)
>>
>>54366092
if you can conjure up 3-4 actual players and the requisite amount of warm bodies, it's pretty enjoyable. It's like a non shitty evolution of diplomacy
>>
>>54366077

My group has started a Seafall game.

Is fun I guess, but I wish we didn't drop dnd for it. We're going to be playing a full campaign of it, so I get to look forward to 15-20 weeks of this
>>
File: IMG_9985.jpg (504KB, 1752x1920px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9985.jpg
504KB, 1752x1920px
My copy of Camel up just arrived in the mail, I'm pretty pumped about it!
>>
>>54370814
Uhm is that camel on the cover being raped?
>>
>>54370842
Literally? No. Figuratively? Perhaps. In Camel (C)up it's a camel race and when a camel lands on a square occupied by another camel, they jump on its back, and if that lower camel moves, they carry anyone on top of it.
>>
File: Master of the Galaxy0.png (264KB, 680x936px) Image search: [Google]
Master of the Galaxy0.png
264KB, 680x936px
Kickstarter campaign launches tomorrow.

Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxuChvwkUj4

Rulebook:
https://tabletopia.r.worldssl.net/static/files/000/651/4R6ylyBhILyBeId4ue0g24.pdf

Playthrough:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxudBl3lrAk

Review by marcowargamer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyXQB00oh_o
>>
File: 1496210710601.png (440KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1496210710601.png
440KB, 640x480px
>>54372300
>New thread
>New shameless shill posts
>>
File: pic3578101_md.jpg (386KB, 498x500px) Image search: [Google]
pic3578101_md.jpg
386KB, 498x500px
>KS that didn't have shitloads of exclusives
>sold out every time a store got a few copies
>Renegade picked it up
>won Kennerspiel
Anyone played this yet? It's been on my radar for a while but not going to get an up close look til Gencon. Wondering if it's good enough to grab without playtesting
>>
>>54372406
Isn't it only shilling if you're getting paid to do it? I'm just a fanboy.
>>
File: catan-game-board.jpg (2MB, 2362x2064px) Image search: [Google]
catan-game-board.jpg
2MB, 2362x2064px
So is this game still considered good? I played it for the first time yesterday and thought it was fun
>>
>>54372545
It's in the category of 'not a bad game but not one you'll likely stick with forever'.

A lot of people deride it for relying on so much randomness, but it's really just as random as MANY other games. But it does lack depth in many areas and if your group isn't into in trading aspect then the game can fall flat.

I enjoy it enough and keep a copy on my shelf.
>>
>>54372545
It's good but a bit dated, and as anon said, you'll likely outgrow it at some point. Has been Mayfair's biggest earner and they sold it off to Asmodee so that should say something.
>>
>>54372545
It's a great game for getting non-gamers into the hobby. As you progress it should creep ever towards the back of the shelf, gathering dust, but when someone's starting out it kind of holds up

Also, I feel like critiquing the pictured start

>Orange
Centrally positioned but has only 3 resources at all, two pips on a third, and nothing on the most common rolls. Doesn't have wood+clay, Stone/Wheat/Sheep, or a harbor. Greedy, gonna hit hard times.

>Red
Clearly trying to be the road king yet sits on the 2:1 sheep harbor with no path to sheep at all.

>White
Missing wheat at the start but has a clear path to wheat on 8 and a lot of pips overall

>Blue
Only missing clay, but one solitary pip on wheat, his opening is clearly to build on 12 sheep/9 wheat/5 clay and if he gets it could challenge white pretty well. Also, does all the things on 6, which is theoretically great but if I'm playing that seat 6 will never come up.
>>
>>54366540
Cards Against Humanity
Settlers of Catan
>>
>>54366540
Coup; there's no meat on the bones and if I wanted a bare bluffing game I'd just play poker. It's a good example of overproducing justifying the MSRP, before it spread to the extent of stuff like Santorini
>>
>>54373292
Coup's all of ten bucks, I don't think that counts as overproduced for an inflated MSRP. You'd have trouble getting a decent deck of cards and poker chips for that much.
Skull is a way bigger offender for price/content.
>>
>>54373549
$15 and devoid of content, anons keep telling me I should try the expansion so then you're talking $25 to get a complete game, which is similar to Skull. You're right though it's a worse deal, Asmodee jacking the price up another $10 when they finally got around to reprinting, when it's literally pretty beer coasters. You're better off grabbing some nice ones from bars as you travel, skulls/roses on the back, and hitting em with matte clear.
>>
>>54373625
Are there any games in that genre that you think are good deals?
>>
>>54373747
Bluffing in general or social deduction? I really try not to buy pure bluffing games, because they don't have much to them that can't be gotten with more traditional card games. I'm going to get more satisfaction from something with less bluffing but more overall game than something bare like Skull.

Bluffing in general Ca$h n Gun$ is amazing and well worth the money (assuming we're talking internet prices not full MSRP).

Social deduction? I feel like The Resistance was well worth the $10 I got it for, but I also got the 2nd edition which imo has vastly superior art to the newer one they replaced it with. Deception is probably worth the money.
>>
>>54366540
Twilight Struggle. It dresses it self up as a really deep game but it's ludicrously imbalanced and primarily about knowing what cards are in the deck. Aint got shit on a proper wargame.
>>
>>54373955
Decrying Coup based on MSRP and then extoling CnG based on internet discounts is a little disingenuous. And I don't think The Resistance has much more content than coup, but yeah, otherwise agree with you.
>>
Is Cthulhu Wars any good? Tempted to pull the trigger on the new kickstarter, since the plastic being pushed looks pretty good.
>>
>>54375796
It's pretty close to on-par with Chaos in the Old World, which is held in pretty high regard around here. The only real criticism CW gets is being 5+ times as expensive as comparable games, and using a theme that's been approaching zombie-tier overuse recently.
>>
>>54372545
I would recommend folks to play it at some point if just for the historical perspective. It's still a fine game after twenty years, but just that - for an entry level euro there are way better options around these days.
>>
>>54375821
What similar games would you recommend?
>>
>>54375875
Dome other popular dudes-fightan-on-map games around here are:
Kemet
Cyclades
Inis
Chaos in the Old World
Forbidden Stars
Rex: Final Days of an Empire
Tyrants of the Underdark
Scythe(ish)
Blood Rage

just to list some popular examples with a variety of mechanics
>>
>>54375978
>Dome
Nice.
>>
>>54375978

Scythe feels like an odd man out there, presumably the reason for the (ish). While there's fighting in Scythe, it's never felt like the point of the game, even if the marketing focuses on it too much.
>>
>>54374565

I agree with you saying that it isn't a proper war game, and you are right that without significant experience the game is very imbalanced.

That being said if you can find a partner or a group willing to invest the dozen or so play-through's required to start seeing really great games, there is a reason it has been rated so highly for so long.

The problem is a lot of people classify it as a wargame, and so many go in thinking that just good strategic thinking and tactics will win the day, when it is mostly about knowing the cards.
>>
File: CARDSZZZ.jpg (63KB, 560x420px) Image search: [Google]
CARDSZZZ.jpg
63KB, 560x420px
>thoughs on apps for boardgames?

I really have no idea if apps or good or bad for boardgames.

If the app does too little for the boardgame, why the fuck even have an app? It's more of a hassle really.

If the app does too much for the boardgame, why the fuck even have a boardgame? Just play the videogame version.

What exactly is the "sweet spot" for apps for boardgames?

Should an app do all the boring number crunching? Random generator? Deck drawing? Enemy AI?

I honestly feel like the whole point of boardgames is so that people enjoying physically touching and interacting with stuff.

BUT! I think apps could for for dexterity games like Crokinole or Flick 'em up.
>>
>>54376195
My issue is if I have to play a game that's basically a mix of Yahtzee and hand management I would just play labyrinth, especially with the new expansion. The good thing about TS is it helped me get my non-war gaming friend into PoG.
>>
>>54376625

I think there's a role for digitally assisted boardgames. I really like how XCOM did it, to give the automation and 'AI' of the cooperative game more flexibility and complexity than you could easily manage. But the fact it was a board game, with components and a social dynamic, was still key to the experience.
>>
>>54376078
Totally agree, but for some (weird, likely communist) people, the low conflict primarily present as a threat is exactly as much fightan as they want.
>>
>>54376810

I quite like Scythe for what it is, but what it is is weird. Not quite a wargame, not a conventional eurogame. An odd mix of both.

Still, I'm looking forward to seeing how airships shake up the formula.
>>
>>54366092
It's breddy gud, but loooong. I've had some good moments playing it. Worth a play
>>
>>54375104
Fair enough, I wouldn't buy Coup at internet pricing, I probably would buy CnG (assuming there was a LGS nearby that I wanted to support). Anon asked what I considered a good deal though, and Yeah there's not a lot of "good" deals at full MSRP, if any, in board gaming. At least not if you're a stingy bastard like I am
>>
>>54376625
I honestly like the ability of an app to GM a game, a la Mansions of Madness. I've seen some people posting about how they hate it, but I really think it's good for board games. If a GM is register for a board game you might as well play a tabletop RPG. Any more outside involvement and you might as well play a video game.
>>
>>54377035

Not a fan of AI decks, I take it?
>>
>>54375796
It's quite good, IMO. Got a chance to play it at a con, and ultimately got it for myself and haven't been disappointed.
>>
File: Gloomhaven-components.jpg (128KB, 1000x599px) Image search: [Google]
Gloomhaven-components.jpg
128KB, 1000x599px
>>54377413

Imagine if there was an app for Gloomhaven.

Goodbye to all those stacks of cards.
>>
So I want to get Gloomhaven. It's currently a $140 on amazon. It's that the lowest it has been? Should I wait? And my missing much for not backing it on kickstarter? I was going to and completely forgot about it.
>>
>>54378383
You're not missing anything besides maybe the solo missions that were in the latest kickstarter. Not sure if those are going to be sold separately.
>>
>>54377413
Actually no. They're always a necessary evil of painful setup. The original MoM had an ai deck. It was one of the man things that made it too cumbersome to consider pulling out most nights.
>>
Roll or Race for the Galaxy?
>>
>>54378512
Jump Drive, because I've only got 15 minutes
>>
>>54378512
Well do you want cards or dice? They both play similarly enough and are balanced enough, I dont think either of them have glaring flaws, or one inherently better than the other because of cards vs dice.
>>
>>54370549
You could play a game of Evolution and then Civilization the board game or something similar to fill up that space.
>>
>>54378512
I like Roll, and I find it very easy to teach players who have a basic familiarity with board games and strategy.
>>
>>54378823
>>54370549
Well, after you play 'Sol: Last Days of a Star' you could play Exodus (Space 4x) to determine how the survivors colonize a new home far from the crispy remains of Earth.
>>
>>54370720
My condolences anon.
>>
>>54378951
>the crispy remains of Earth.
>he doesn't know the lore
>>
>>54366540
Settlers of Catan. It bores the hell out of me and thankfully my group has found several other games that have since replaced it
>>
>>54376706
Descent 2E can use this method too, though I haven't tried yet.
>>
People have been buzzing about Gloomhaven recently and I've not played it, but I like the idea of a campaign game and it has me intrigued. What has me worried are the legacy elements. Do you really have to do stuff like use stickers, destroy pieces, etc.? I am absolutely not interested in a game that is can't play over and over without replacing parts of it.
>>
>>54378512
Race if you have a brain.
>>
>>54381054
Nah, there's nothing you have to permanently destroy. A while back the designer even shilled for some reusable vinyl stickers for the campaign map.
>>
>>54381386
>the race fag is back
Oh boy, can't wait for you to shit up the thread again with your weapons grade autism.
>>
>>54378512
Race is the better game underneath.
>>
>>54381564
By all means please argue how Roll isn't for babbies who want a braindead time of it.
>>
>>54366540
Settlers of Catan. Unfortunately, the rest of my group always wants to play at least one game of it and ALWAYS Cities and Knights.
>>
>>54378512
Race has a stronger meta game but that in addition to it's steeper learning curve in all the symbology makes it a harder sell to many people and takes a pretty devoted crowd to get past the first couple games of destroying everyone. Roll keeps the same general skill set but makes it easier to play and understand.

Roll is the one people want me to keep bringing to the table but they're both good to me. Any distance between them in any department is going to be greatly exaggerated around here, so watch out for your typical /v/ hyperboles. Go with what you think your group will like more.
>>
>>54366540
Dominion. It's just so damn solitaire. Holy shit.
>>
>>54382135
No it isn't, it a fine racing game.

Anon, some of us just don't need an autistic crutch in the form of a boardgame to actually talk to people. We can enjoy an impressive and interesting game mechanic without worrying about if the game provides enough ersatz """interaction""" or not.

Try it, it's liberating not being so autistic.
>>
>>54382108
>steeper learning curve in all the symbology
That's wrong. The symbology is dead simple and certainly easier than 7 Wonders symbology. (And 7 Wonders is considered a gateway game.)

The real difficulty in Race is wrapping your head around the simultaneous phase selection mechanism. That goes very much against the grain of all our boardgame intuition.
>>
File: pic2878953.jpg (125KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
pic2878953.jpg
125KB, 960x540px
If anyone is interested in getting into COIN, Liberty or Death: The American Insurrection is on CSI for $48.
>>
>>54382518
A racing game without a method to pull back a runaway leader (i.e. interactive mechanics) is an abject failure imho desu.
>>
>>54366540
Any kind of coop game. Turning a competitive experience where you do some effort to win into a circlejeck where everything has to be done by committee in a 5 hour long session is worse than working. Worse of all, most of the time decisions don't matter, as the victory is determined by random dice rolling.
>>
>>54382646
By that metric all of track and field, all of motorsports racing and all swimming disciplines are 'abject failures' at sports.

You're entitled to your own (stupid) opinion, of course, but the rest of the world objectively disagrees with you.
>>
>>54382835
false analogy
sports and card games are not comparable in any way
>>
File: img000018.png (2MB, 2077x1600px) Image search: [Google]
img000018.png
2MB, 2077x1600px
>>54382879
>I don't like your analogy so it's false
>>
>>54383090
What manga is this?
>>
>>54383106
Nevermind. I forgot that reverse image search exists and actually works sometimes
>>
>>54382835
>all of motorsports racing and all swimming disciplines are 'abject failures' at sports.
They are, they're activities, not sports.
>>
>>54383114
Wait, are you seriously claiming that track and field (the oldest and most classical of all sports) isn't really a sport? Is this an elaborate troll or did you forget to take your pills?
>>
>>54382518
>impressive and interesting game mechanic
Dominion and Race/Roll dont have any. Time to let go of your holy cow, sheeple.
>>
>>54383179
>Dominion and Race/Roll dont have any.
Says who? You? The guy who still plays with plastic soldiers and doesn't have a gf?
>>
>>54382518
We could race to solve rubics cubes. I wouldn't call it fun or interactive in any way. I don't play boardgames to solve a solitaire puzzle better than my friends.
>>
>>54383436
> I don't play boardgames to solve a solitaire puzzle better than my friends.
Good for you. Autism is tough, and you're welcome to whatever kind of therapy suits you best.

However, when you're going online and sperging about Dominion "doing it wrong" or whatever, you're objectively going against 4000 years of neurotypical human experience.

The neurotypical human being agrees that Michael Phelps and Usain Bolt are great sportsmen and that Dominion is a fun boardgame.

Tone it down and don't be the crazy piss-stained yelling dude in this online community.

> We could race to solve rubics cubes.
Not quite the same, there's a shared resource in Dominion.
>>
>>54383146
Track and field is grandfathered in because Greeks.
>>54383528
Isn't Dominion a bad example anyway because everyone says that it's only really good with the Intrigue expac?
>>
>>54382518
>Multiplayer game
>Interaction is irrelevant, only autists care about it
U wot m8
>>
>>54373292

Honestly Coup needs the expansion to be better than poker, the alliances and the inquisitor make it so much better and i have with me all the time, perfect for meetups
>>
>>54383538
Dominion is shit with any expac. Solitaire autist up there is just a local jester.
>>
>Interaction is irrelevant, only autists care about it
Doublethink in a nutshell.
>>
>>54378512
Speaking of this, what do people think of San Juan?
>>
>>54383538
> Track and field is grandfathered in because Greeks.
Go take your pills. Usain Bolt is the most popular sports celebrity of, like, all time.

> because everyone says that it's only really good with the Intrigue expac?
Nobody says this.

>>54383569
Here's the thing you don't understand: we neurotypicals *don't need* special game mechanics to force us to talk to each other, interact and have a good time. Neurotypicals can get together and play a racing game like Dominion while at the same time discussing this or that, shit-talking a little bit, comparing each other's combo-making e-peen and in general having a great interactive time of it.

A mechanical crutch that forces you to interact with other players is only sorely needed if you're playing with a group of autists.
>>
>>54383528
I feel like you're dragging more out of this than you should. The question was what popular game do you not like and I said dominion and why I don't like it. Everyone else is discussing sports and how it's objectively bad and stuff.
>>
>>54383631
For as much as you just unnecessarily ranted about me being an autist and buzz words, you're sure hell bent on saying why your tastes are objectively the best tastes.
>>
>>54383614
you can try the app
>>
>>54383631
>to force us to talk to each other, interact and have a good time
Nobody mentioned social interaction, this is about game interaction. The entire point of a mutliplayer game is the interactions between players.
If you don't care about that, may as well be playing 4 singleplayer games instead. Which is the actual autistic thing to do.
This is like someone took age of empires, removed the combat between players and left the rest, with victoryr codition being who gets to 4th age first, and you going "yes, this is a better game, only autists need combat, now lets spend an hour each building our towns without interacting with each other in the game, like obvious non autist".
I'm not saying you can't enjoy that kind of game, but you're dense to not see the point and go "interaction is for autists".
>>
>>54383775
Again: you're in the minority of crazy people here. Neurotypical humans *do not* believe that the only interaction between players is game interaction and that 'social interaction' is something that doesn't exist unless you force it to. Get used to it. This is how real people think and act.

> now lets spend an hour each building our towns without interacting with each other in the game
Again: this *does not ever happen* to neurotypical humans. Neurotypical humans do not spend an hour doing something without discussing things and engaging in complex metagame social dynamics. Even if there is no direct 'take that' game mechanics neurotypical humans will immediately form a social metagame without being prompted.

>>54383701
> you're sure hell bent on saying why your tastes are objectively the best tastes
No, I'm explaining to the resident autist that his crusade against "bad wrong games that aren't even games" is objectively wrong. The vast majority of neurotypical normal human beings do not agree, and he will need to learn to live with this fact.
>>
>>54383877
>We are talking about game interaction, not social interaction
>AH YOU'RE WRONG BECAUSE THERE WOULD BE SOCIAL INTERACTION
Are you retarded?
>>
>>54372300
Looks like poor man's eclipse
>>
>>54383896
I'm gonna repeat this for the third time and then stop arguing with retards, so take your chance while you can:

Even if it's a "build your own town without interacting" type of game, neurotypical humans will still form cliques and alliances, apply psychological intimidation, give or withhold tips, make deals and form pecking orders/ladders. For neurotypical humans, all this happens naturally and automatically, without any prompting from the game mechanics.

There's a place for forcing and structuring this sort of interaction through mechanical means, but neurotypical humans don't actually *need* it, it's something that will happen naturally regardless.

Thus, when neurotypical humans evaluate games, they don't actually care if game interaction is forced through game rules. They care much more about strategic depth, the amount of bookkeeping involved and about having a clear path for evaluating your skill progression.

This is how actual human beings work, and I advise you to take note and get used to it.
>>
>>54383897
I didn't actually read the rules yet, but it looks more like a Ticket to Ride in Space to me.
>>
>>54384058
>I'm gonna repeating this stuff about a completely different topic again
No anon, you are the retards.
Nobody gives a shit if all games have social interactions, that's not the topic at all.
>>
>>54384058
i like this guy
>>
>>54384095
>>54383897
You draw the cubes from your bag at random at the start of each turn and allocate them to different things such as projects and abilities and routes. What you see in the pic is routes between star systems and the color of the cubes between systems has to be either the color of the system you're coming from or the color of the system you're going to. You can't mix.
>>
>>54384171
I like him as well, he puts a lot of effort into his shitposting. I miss that.
>>
>>54384301
That's not shitposting - that's advanced autism. "Someone on the interwebz is wrong!"
>>
>>54383897
>>54384095
> I didn't read the rules but I'll offer a useless opinion anyway...

Bravo! It's neither ticket to ride in space nor Eclipse. (And yes, I have read the rules.) It's a shame there isn't some sort of 'public education system' whereby people can learn to read for themselves.
>>
>>54384881
Look, if I had to read the rules to every new kickstarter game I'd be here all day. I'd rather do something more fun, like shitpost, for example.
>>
>>54382135
Doesn't dominion have quite a few cards for directly fucking with your opponent?
At least in some expansion or something.
>>
>>54384974
2nd edition contains a some of that in the base game.
>>
>>54384974
I mean, there's Witch and friends, but to my knowledge every "attack" in dominion hits all opponents, which is a poor way to kneecap an early leader and keep the game alive.

In this way, contrast the Witch from Dominion with the Bad Habit from Tanto Cuore. The Witch is a 5-cost terminal draw that hands everyone else a curse (-1 'permanent' point junk card) putting you a net of 1 point up on your opposition. There's some interactivity to her, since the curses can later be trashed by the victims, but by in large playing witch is +1 point versus the table regardless of the status of others.

Bad Habit, on the other hand, is a cheap -1 point card (that can evolve to be a -2 point card) that you just buy and hand to your intended victim. In a 2-player game its fairly similar (trading the draw-corruption and recursion aspects for the ability to 'grow up' into that -2 point version), but if you're playing with more than 2 players it's actually tactical since you can CHOOSE who gets the Bad Habit, letting the table fight back against a runaway leader or otherwise rewarding good threat analysis rather than being able to be played essentially mindlessly.
>>
>>54385264
I haven't played either, but I usually see people complain about "gang up mechanics" since they prolong the game and just make the 2nd in points (or 3rd) win, creating some metagame about being just behind the leader until the last rounds or such.
>>
>>54385321
Habits are kind of hard to evaluate on that, both because Tanto's scoring is less than totally transparent and because sending someone a bad habit costs (one of) your buy(s) for the turn, limiting your ability to improve your own deck. It's a fair choice, but one that oughtn't be taken incredibly lightly.

Plus, the endgame condition is exhausting purchase piles, so getting into a Bad Habit arms race isn't going to slow it down all that much (IIRC Bad Habit can count towards the end game condition if the pile gets exhausted, but I'm not 100% on that. Even if it doesn't, it's not going to do any more prolonging than Witch)
>>
>>54385264
>>54385618
>Ey this sounds interesting
>That theme
God dammit japs
>>
>>54384966
Heh! Point taken. All we ask is the 'occasional' signal among the noise. ;)
>>
>>54382634
Is it good? I heard that the battle mechanics are a bit clunky.
>>
>>54386024
I know, right? I got over it, because it is pretty much just the better version of Dominion, but it is a REALLY hard sell depending on the crowd.
>>
>>54383877
You're not though. Someone asked me what game I didn't like and I said what game I didn't like. You're having a spaz attack trying to tell me I'm objectively wrong. That's literally what autistic people do.
>>
>>54382078
But cities and knights is the only version I'm ever willing to play, which means I never play it because I don't want to teach/ play the base game
>>
>>54366363
It was kind of an irrelevant race this year. I didn't find any Kennerspiel nominees interesting either. 2016 was an off year for Jury SdJ, nothing noteworthy was actually nominated despite some of the great games that deserved it
>>
>>54370720
RIP
>>
>>54386294

It's not your usual "total up strength and then chuck dice at each other" but it's simpler than any "real" war game. There are also pretty much zero decisions involved (aside from whether you're going to battle or not). It goes like:

- Minor decision on if you want to flip face-down units to add them to the battle.
- Minor decision on if you want to force your ally to fight with you (the answer is almost always yes)
- Total up the forces on both sides; cubes are 1 barrels are 1/2.
- Chuck dice.
- Apply modifiers (which there are a decent chunk of but few often apply and they're largely common sense like "attacking with a leader").
- Afflict casualties. There are no decisions here, the order in which you have to kill units is listed on the player aid.

All of this is summarized well on a one-page iconographic player aid. New players will have far more trouble figuring out what the fuck they're supposed to do in order to win compared to learning the rules.

That's a great price for it, but keep in mind that it's still fairly complex (again, more in a "what to do" way and not a "how to do" way) and expect 4-5 hours for the medium length scenario. Also it and the entire series of COIN games are strictly four players despite the box saying otherwise.

Cuba Libre is the simplest and shortest of the series, but that's between printings. A Distant Plain would be next.

The entire series works great solo if you do that, either with included flowchart AIs or playing all sides yourself.
>>
>>54372300
>>54372449
You've posted an advertisement. Advertisements are to be submitted via appropriate channels and paid for. If you want to promote your game on 4chan, please use the appropriate channels
>>
>>54366363

If you're into German family games designed for all ages, yeah. It's a cute little game with a decent amount of decisions and quality components. $13 is absolutely reasonable for it assuming you're going to play it at all.
>>
>>54366092
Yes it really is, but I think you need 6 people for it to shine. You gotta let the theme take over a little too and have fun with it.
>>
>>54366540
Battlestar
>>
>>54386024
I used to think that theme didn't really matter to me and if anything it was a bonus. But then this game happened and I learned that I had some kind of standard
>>
>>54388681
There's absolutely nothing a theme can do to make a game better but quite a few things a theme can do to make it worse.
>>
>>54388307
Look it thinks it's a 4chan janitor. Cute. Dream big pupper!
>>
>>54388845
Tru. I automatically hate anything satirical or self aware or "adult themed"
But then again every game under that category is actually terrible
>>
>>54389076
Adult themed games are an auto-turn off for me
>>
File: IMG_5944.jpg (33KB, 251x251px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5944.jpg
33KB, 251x251px
Original Sherlock Holmes: CD and Concordia get restocked in the same week.

Now if Stronghold would stop fucking around with Flamme Rouge my OOS set will be complete
>>
What are some good deckbuilders I should try?
>>
>>54392178
Ascension (free app as well), Star Realms (also a free app you should try), Valley of the Kings
>>
File: vKO87tW.gif (355KB, 240x200px) Image search: [Google]
vKO87tW.gif
355KB, 240x200px
>>54392292
>Good deckbuilders
>Ascension
>Star Realms

Valley of the Kings is good though

>>54392178
How big of a box are you looking to buy?
Small? Flip City is pretty good. Has some unique mechanics
Medium? Dominion is good. Classic standby with lots of expansion content.
Bigger? Xenosyft is one of my faves. Co-op with tons of mix and match content from even just the base game and has good expansion material.
>>
>>54366540
Lords of Waterdeep.
Holy shit is it boring. Every single move you can do is perfectly viable at all times - at the absolute worst one or two players will get the slightly better deal with two cubes more from the buildings that stack them up over the rounds. Every single worker placement slot is perfectly equal in value and you will need all the resources at some point anyway. There is absolutely zero tension over spot competition.The thing that actually decides games is which quests you're dealt, which quests come up, whether you're competing with some other Lord over quests and whether you get hit with a barrage of mandatory quests, Munchkin style. Or in other words, RNG and take that kingmaking.
Fuck me that game is awful. I've no idea how it's gotten so popular. I'd say it's the theme but it's so paper thin it can't be just that either.
>>
>>54366540
Descent 2nd Edition.
>>
>>54392178
Tyrants of the Underdark
>>
>>54372449
That's the actual definition of shill, but you're proceeding from the mistaken idea that the morons in question know or care what words mean. (And no, I wouldn't worry to much about the opinions of morons. It's a game board and people talk about what they like.) If you were throwing out umpteen posts per thread about it, yeah it would be uncool. Throwing out a post about it in a 300+ post thread is not. We used to have an Anon who would post a list of interesting new up coming / current /bgg/ related Kickstarters. But I'm sure said Anon got tired of the 'ass-hat quartet' who routinely scream "Shill! Shill!" any time anyone mentions anything on KS.
>>
>>54389013
Why are you such an asshole Kevin?
>>
File: crusaders.jpg (299KB, 680x691px) Image search: [Google]
crusaders.jpg
299KB, 680x691px
Anyone here backing this?
>>
>>54394114
Why do you keep asking when the answer is always "never back Kickstarters?"
>>
I'm at my schools printer, what are some fun print and play games you guys reccomend?
>>
>>54394114
Why is that knight wearing a grey, felt suit?
>>
>>54394518
Campy Creatures
Onitama
Secret Hitler
>>
File: Twilight-imperium-layout_12.jpg (78KB, 600x299px) Image search: [Google]
Twilight-imperium-layout_12.jpg
78KB, 600x299px
Playing this with a group this week. What am I in for?
>>
>>54394612
I'm looking for on it ama files, and it looks like they got scrubbed from the internet. I'm happy to try secret hitler and campy creatures though
>>
>>54394990
*Onitama

Autocorrect error. My university has 4chan blocked on their computers, those facists.
>>
>>54394810
Unless most of them are really experienced:
Someone losing horribly because he's too busy burying himself in the tech tree or getting into an unproductive war to focus on objectives.
Someone winning earlier than expected because no one was keeping an eye on what objective everyone else was going for and blocking them.
Two players having obligatory choices in strategy cards every round if you're not playing with the expansion strat cards.
The first three turns having virtually no interaction between players other than the political strategy card because you're playing on too big a galaxy.
>>
>>54394810
A couple posts from anons telling you how to not mess it up, and a stern lecture from STEEV about not letting more than 4 people sit at the table
>>
>>54395026
also that
<3
>>
>>54392292
>>54392416
I know a guy who refuses to play Star Realms because he considers it an inferior Ascension... which works out great for me, because he's one of those guys who can't understand why people wouldn't play to win all the damn time.
>>54394810
A numb butt.
>>
File: The King is Dead.jpg (20KB, 232x300px) Image search: [Google]
The King is Dead.jpg
20KB, 232x300px
Can anyone who has played this give me their opinion on it?
>>
>>54372420
Played it today on TTS. Early game felt nice, while the late game was like tedious. Took way longer than expected. Enjoy huge downtimes in between your turns depending on the speed of your opponents. Also, some cards were seriously imbalanced as fuck ("Steal a Plunder" is OP lategame since it prevents players from raiding the huge shit, stealing provisions fucks up your early game, and more) while others were really crap in comparison ("Kill your own dude to get a Plunder from the bank" was one of the bigger things compared to the "Steal 1" before). Player interaction usually fucked up your turns where you had to repeat previous turns over again (since you'd need resources to raid which could be taken from you and so on). Wouldn't recommend it in the long run, but that's just my 2 cents.
>>
>>54396339
I wish I had friends who also had TTS
>>
>>54370814
>>54370978
I remember this game. Surprising amount of strategy for something which looks so luck-based, especially with that oasis/desert tile. I wound up winning several "surprise" bets because nobody else quite seems to grasp powerful the move backward half of that tile is in terms of messing up the order.
>>
>>54372449
Then sell me on it. Why should I give a fuck?

>>54372545
It's half of hour of fun in a two hour game.
>>
>>54396339
Thanks for the writeup, I'd heard from a few friends that the cards aren't balanced and it's definitely the most "I fucked you" worker placement in a while, good to get another view though.
>>
>>54376810
Funny enough, Scythe is the exact amount of combat I want in a strategy game. It's a present enough threat that if you try playing solitaire you're going to get your pile kicked in, but it doesn't dominate the game the way it does some others.
>>
>>54392178
Valley of Kings and Core Worlds are my favorites.
>>
>>54366077
I feel guilty about getting into board game apps but some of these work so nice. I bring around my tablet and can do some pass n' play with the gf anywhere. These ones work well:
Jaipur
Carcassonne
Ticket to Ride
Hive with AI (The official app sucks dick. This one is free and great)
Onirim (no more shuffling!)

A shame that Catan simply doesn't work as an app. The trading needs that live social interaction.
>>
What should i play if i want to play dungeon crawler but i don't want it to be dungeon crawler because my friends don't want to dungeon crawl?
>>
>>54398214
Gears of War if you can find it - it's OOP
or
Level 7 Omega Protocol
>>
>>54398001
Shouldn't feel guilty anon, there's plenty of times I'd rather be playing the actual game than an app (X-wing, 1st & Goal come to mind) but there's more than a few apps out there that simply outclass their analog brothers. Galaxy Trucker, even if you're a huge fan, is just plain better with the missions and campaign story. Elder Sign has actual theme when there's animations, music, and a storyteller giving you the plot in a creepy voice. You nailed Onirim's problem, it's a solo game with shitloads of shuffling; if I want to shuffle cards I've got a poker deck that cost me nothing, why pay money to bend cards?

>>54398214
A dungeon crawl that's not dungeony? Or not crawly?
>>
>>54398373
I think less dungeony.
what they want is PVP
>>
>>54398407
PvP I'd say do Arcadia Quest, it's an arena game where the monsters are just lootbags to fight over. Not personally a fan since I like my dungeons 1vAll or 1vAI but it's definitely good
>>
>>54396156
My favorite 3 player game, favorite 2v2 game (admittedly I can't think of any others), and favorite area control game.

Gameplay is dead simple, but it's a bear to teach and takes at least one play to "get" it. New players take time to wrap their heads around the multiple tie breakers, edge cases, and win cons. That and the lack of reminder text on the cards means you need to find and print player aids.

Very much worth it though. Extremely rewarding at high levels of play.
>>
>>54397135
I thought TTS was for people who don't have friends?
>>
>>54398493
>Not personally a fan . . . but it's definitely good
How to identify a rational mind
>>
File: Constantinople.jpg (33KB, 353x500px) Image search: [Google]
Constantinople.jpg
33KB, 353x500px
Has anyone heard of Constantinople? I saw on bgg that the ios app is $0.99 and I'm thinking about getting it because it's so cheap but being a poor college student has me hesitant.

>>54398373
How is 1st & Goal?

>>54399343
Well you play the games with other people so I guess you can just find randos online but that's dicey
>>
>>54399455
It's a fucking dollar. Or just pirate and emulate it on PC.
>>
>>54399390
I'm not often called rational but when I am, it's in /bgg/ (right before someone shits on me for using comic sans in the rec charts)

>>54399455
The app can be buggy at times, which sucks if you lose part or all of a game (once lost 2 games in a season and had to replay them but hey week 4 who cares) but it is wonderfully accurate to the tabletop game.

How is the game itself? Maybe the best sports simulation I've ever played; you're basically trying to outthink your opponent playing playing an offense against his defense, and that decides how many dice you roll (and how high the yardage is on those dice) but then there's the play day. That FUCKING EVIL play die; which simulates all the shit that goes wrong in a game. Have the perfect medium range pass while your opponent is trying to stuff a run? Roll 4 dice and they're all like 8 yards or better but oh lookie you rolled and X that corner just BARELY touched it, or your QB overthrew. Got a draw they're running a 4-4 against and you're only rolling two dice + defense? Who gives a shit because the play die just came up breakaway 4x in a row, now you've got 30 yards off a broken play. It is so perfect and accurate to real life football I'm addicted even if I don't play often because it makes me want to throw my phone against the wall.

True story about 1st & Goal, I got the app solely because I wanted to try the game out before playing in a free tourney at WYC a couple years back (winner got free Gencon badge) and I was hooked. 16 player league in the Indy area that plays every week during NFL season while they watch Colts game. Sadly I don't live in that area, but it did convince me to buy the tabletop version and play it lazy during college football Saturdays with my brother when we can get together. It's expensive (as I said earlier not many "good" deals), and the expansions REALLY help give the game more life by letting you pick your team's strength, but if you can get it on sale do it
>>
>>54399455
No, but I've heard of Istanbul.
>>
>>54399608
Can you play with friends online with the app or is it pass and play?
>>
>>54400094
>had to boot the app and look since I only play solo with it
There's quick match, brackets, and season for AI or pass/play, and an online mode using app specific accounts with random matchups or adding friends.
>>
>>54400182
Thanks anon!
>>
>>54394114
Yes. I can finally play as a white male and go around killing muslims and jews.
>>
>>54389076
Don't forget lovecraftian themed or zombie themed.
>>
>>54400607
Hey there's some good ones in there. It's just that finding them is like trying to find a diamond ring in a septic tank
>>
>>54392178
Dominion.
>>
>>54400520
>implying we didn't already have this but better in Kingdom of Heaven: 1097-1291 and Crusader Rex
C'mon anon
>>
>>54392830
Lords of Waterdeep is like Splendor -- a super tight tactical exercise in always being one step ahead of your opponent.
>>
>>54400706
I've never played Splendor, but in LoW all quests being public knowledge makes that braindead.
>>
>>54388259
I'm quite interested in the system.
I preordered, as my first COIN, Colonial Twilight. I just hope i am not missing too much without the 4 player experience. On the other hand, i believe that the time requested to play will be shorter.

I wanted to buy LoD, but i wasn't sure my friends would have liked the theme (in Italy it's not so popular/known).
>>
Hey guys, what would you recommend as a fairly easy to learn game for a group that also doesn't require a huge time investment (Arkham Horror took us almost 4 hours the first time). Preferably something away from the mainstays like Catan and Munchkin since we've done them to death.
>>
File: 134535345.jpg (755KB, 900x1600px) Image search: [Google]
134535345.jpg
755KB, 900x1600px
Hey guys look what just arrived. What could be in there? :o
>>
File: 25464634656.jpg (786KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
25464634656.jpg
786KB, 1600x900px
>>54400924
The package is pretty small yet there are 2 games inside! Attentive anons from recent /bgg/ threads could have a very educated guess as to which games that might be.
>>
>>54400971
You seem to have a large parasite in that picture anon, I'd call an exterminator
>>
>>54400971
Are you the guy who got 7 wonders for $20? If so, thank you for making me aware of the deal myself.
>>
>>54400971
onitama and raptor anon?
>>
File: 36567456456.jpg (699KB, 900x1600px) Image search: [Google]
36567456456.jpg
699KB, 900x1600px
>>54400981
>>54400971
Nope, different anon but glad you found a good deal. :)

Almost open! :o
>>
File: 47475345756465.jpg (801KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
47475345756465.jpg
801KB, 1600x900px
>>54401023
>>54401014

Yeah! You got it! :)
>>
>>54401036
Sweet. Haven't played Raptor but Onitama is my go to game for waiting for people to show up.
>>
>>54400607
I'd prefer these themes over "let's see how many penis jokes we can make because we're adults and so mature"
>>
>>54401036
You krauts got a much better cover art, than the Matagot edition on Raptor
>>
>>54400877
Carcassonne, Hanabi, Tsuro, Codenames, Concept, Bang the dice game
>>
>>54401036
I've never played Raptor, let me know how it is!
>>
File: group starter games.png (3MB, 1801x2137px) Image search: [Google]
group starter games.png
3MB, 1801x2137px
>>54400877
Group rec chart from the other week, still could use some edits but a decent jumping off point
>>
>>54401105
Very excited to play them tonight!

>>54401113
Heh I agree that the German cover looks better but I still would have gone with the English version if it wasn't that much more expensive. German was €20, English would have been €30. If I have the choice I usually pick the original language version of a game but not if I would have to pay 50% more that way. :)
>>
>>54401148
I'll make sure to post about it later today. :)
>>
>>54388259
>New players will have far more trouble figuring out what the fuck they're supposed to do in order to win compared to learning the rules.
I love games like, where the play is simple or very explicit and the end condition is clear, yet actually getting to your victory condition/setting up an engine is complex and even unclear.
>>54401174
I've noticed that people outside the Anglosphere are far more likely to use emoticons unironically.
>>
>>54400727
Everything in Splendor is also public knowledge.

It's not for everyone, but calling it 'braindead' is just wrong. It's an almost purely tactical game, don't go in expecting some sort of grand strategy experience.
>>
What are games that are best for people getting into the hobby?
I've only recently begun buying board games and I feel a bit overwhelmed by the choices and how much of everything there seems to be.
So far I have Lotus, Eldritch Horror, Arkham Horror LCG Netrunner and Forbidden Desert. They're all pretty fun but it's hard to find where to go from here.

Mostly looking for well themed games, too. It just seems really hard to get your bearings and find things you'll like without a good base.
>>
File: 300px-6sided_dice[1].jpg (10KB, 300x207px) Image search: [Google]
300px-6sided_dice[1].jpg
10KB, 300x207px
Is this the worst thing that has ever happened to boardgames? I can't think of one use of dice that isn't just to mitigate skill.
>>
>>54401877
Las Vegas
>>
>>54401755
See >>54401134 with an emphasis on Carcassonne
>>
>>54401877
Miniatures and mobile apps are worse.
>>
>>54397135
You can always join some Discords for LFG-Chats. That's what I did since my playgroup only visits like once or twice a month and I wanted to try out more games or games we don't tend to play on the table. Probably getting the best of both worlds.

>>54401877
Some shitty app integration is the worst. There are few examples for a decent implementation, like Alchemists I'd say, but most of the time it forces people to grab their phone and be distracted from the game because they tend to check messengers and stuff while grabbing their phone.
>>
>>54372545
It's an excellent gateway game into eurogaming, and IMO is still the best at that since the random dice affect the game enough for that. Remember that the uninitiated are probably coming from Monopoly, so that aspect is welcome to them. You can't go wrong with Catan if you're looking for a gateway game

The trading aspect really makes the game though, and I've found that experienced players will almost entirely ignore the trading in favour of going it alone. So as >>54372638 said, you should expect it to shift towards the back of your collection as you play more modern board games.
>>
>>54401755
Generally, you should start of with short(-ish), less thematic games. Up to an hour is okay, but 30 minutes or shorter is better. The reason for that is simply that these games tend see more play. Additionally these games are generally cheaper, so you lose less in case you don't like them.
You should also get some 2 player games and a simple card game to play while you are waiting for everyone to show up or just for days when you don't have enough players for a big game.

General recommendations:
Short(-ish) games:
>Carcassonne
Base game is good enough. If you want 6 players, you need the first expansion. I'd also recommend to get at least the King mini-expansion, as it adds incentive to help other players to get points yourself.
>Takenoko
A Good family game, especially with young siblings.

2 player games:
>Onitama / The Duke
Chess-like games about capturing the opponent king/base with your own units. They add more variety to the basic chess formula; Onitama by using movement cards instead of pieces with fixed movement, The Duke by having a greater variety of pieces that can be added during the game. Both are great games, but if you bought one, you might want to add some variety to your collection before buying the other one.
>Hive
A game about completely surrounding your opponents Queen. A lot more complex than it may look like at first glance. Due to not needing a board, it's also easy to transport and play anywhere.
>Patchwork
A game about making the nicest (most complete) Patchwork quilt. A mix between abstract strategy and puzzle game.
>>
>>54403364
>>54401755
I got my group into gaming with Puerto Rico. Only problem is the art might be a bit bland for most groups.
>>
File: 1487733113704.jpg (80KB, 645x773px) Image search: [Google]
1487733113704.jpg
80KB, 645x773px
what are some one player board games
>>
>>54401877
Dice aren't really a thing that happened to board games, considering they're part of the first known board game.

Anyway, there's some games nowadays where player skill is at least in part how well you can mitigate or handle the random elements dice provide. Roll for the Galaxy and Kingsburg are the first two which come to mind, but I've played others.

>>54402767
>>54403085
Thirding mobile apps. My group is obsessed with One Night Ultimate Alien, and I can't understand what they see in it.
>>
>>54403825
Any game simply referred to as Solitaire
Arkham Horror LCG
Ascension
Five against Willy
Onirim
Star Realms (only with expansion)

As far as I know most, if not all of the COIN games can be played solo.

You could also look into board game apps, they usually come with single player modes.
>>
>>54403825
Legendary Encounters is pretty good solo. But it's better when I play it with my wife
>>
Is Mage Knight a good game strategy wise or do people mainly like it for it's thematic elements?
>>
>>54403825
Solo Race for the Galaxy
Legendary Encounters Alien
Scythe
>>
>>54403825

Mage Knight is probably the best, IMO

>>54404322

I'd argue it's much better strategically than thematically. There are many thematic elements: fame, reputation/infamy, burning monasteries or looting towns, or traveling to take keeps all sound incredibly thematic, but every one of those intertwines in one another via the game's intricate mechanisms and offers much more strategically than any storytelling elements. In fact, I feel the thematic elements are only there to inform the rules and strategies rather than the other way around.

I'd check out RickyRoyal's playthroughs on YouTube. He's very meticulous (almost overly so) but for such a heavy game he rarely if ever makes rules mistakes and offers good rules descriptions and explains his gameplay decisions well. I learned the game better from his videos than the rulebook. Especially how PVP combat works, holy fuck.
>>
>>54401877
1. Something random happens. Players take decisions. (Adds variety)
2. Players take decisions. Something random happens. (Kills skill)
>>
File: marco polo.png (136KB, 212x300px) Image search: [Google]
marco polo.png
136KB, 212x300px
>>54401877
Dice can be used well. In fact, in pic related dice have been used to make one of the best games I have ever played.
>>
>>54403825
The Hunters (Sub warfare in WWII)
Space Hulk card game
Nemo's War 2nd Edition
Archipelago with solo expansion
Hit Z Road
>>
>>54401877
>I can't think

Well, there's your problem Anon...
>>
File: triggered.gif (241KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
triggered.gif
241KB, 300x300px
>>54366077
>Leaving fucking magic cuz muh collectors and investments ruining the game
>Come to BG
>See kingdom death
>Base game unavailable
>They will never release it again cuz "Muh collectors"

I wish all collectors who ruin gams just die already. it's a fucking game to play! not to store in a basement while it gains value or shit
>>
>>54405442
Isn't the reprint of KDM base just called KDM:Monsters (aka, 1.5 edition)?
>>
>>54405442
Abjectly incorrect. Base game just had a massive fucking updated reprint KS intended to get and keep it (and the old expansions) back in stock.

Even the limited release pinups and shit get encores and remasters (though they do so at fucking random, they contain no game content), they just won't have the signed-and-numbered first edition card.
>>
File: 8UImu0D.gif (4MB, 240x266px) Image search: [Google]
8UImu0D.gif
4MB, 240x266px
>>54405442
I don't know if you could be any more wrong. Updated base game (1.5) is planned to be released to KS backers (and the public) before the end of the year.

Poots wants to share his bizarre fetishes with as many people as possible, not just first-in 'collectors'.
>>
>>54403085
What games use apps that just encourage people to be on their phone? I've only played 3 app games but they're pretty dang attention consuming and 2 out of 3 will only ever have you use one app. I'm genuinely curious what the app games that offend people are. Most of the complaints I hear for them are almost entirely hypothetical.
>>
>>54401877
Dice with blank sides, or the ability to roll zeros. Completely no fun allowed.
>>
>>54406540
World of Yoho has been one I've seen complaints about how much time you spend buried in your phone. There's a lot of stuff tracked by the phone and supposedly you end up staring at it for a large position of the game.

Which ultimately doesn't bother me. What's the difference between staring at a hand of cards on your phone and staring at a physical hand of cards? The use of a program of some sort would just make the game easier to play, gives the opportunity for flashier visuals, and better expansion integration. Plus fewer chances for accidental rules violations.

Sure the border between video game and board game is blurred, but I think we'll only get better at making good games if people explore that edge.
>>
>>54408053
I actually found that one to be really good about it, you only pick up your phone off the board during your turn, which means the rest of the time you're not looking at it, and therefore not being distracted by it.
>>
>>54400981
fyi 7 Wonders is very often produced and sold as a knockoff by Amazon 3rd party sellers. See here: http://imgur.com/a/d05yi
>>
>>54409421
It said it was fulfilled by amazon but I'll double check to see if it's legit. Should be easy to get a refund if it's not.
>>
>>54401148
Alright gf and I just played a couple rounds of both games and they are both really great. Very different games but we enjoyed playing with both very much. Raptor is a lot of fun and I would totally recommend it as a 2 player game.
>>
>>54366077
Is Widow's Walk worth purchasing? I've found myself playing Betrayal a lot, but I've heard there are some quality control issues and I'm not exactly enthused by Anita Sarkeesian
>>
>>54410219
Even people who like the game have some really iffy things to say about WW. If are at your end as far as seeing new scenarios go, it would help. The issue is though that they added a new floor which is mechanically a pain in the ass as far as convoluting the map.
>>
>>54410251
Is the Roof not well done? I did wonder how they'd ensure that the tile distribution was even after just throwing another level to the house. Sounds like I'll just have to wait for B@ Baldur's Gate to freshen it up.
>mfw they still haven't fixed the fucking character clips
>>
>>54399332
Looks like I made a good choice ordering it then.
There is something I don't quite understand about the rules though. What is the point of making each player's discard hidden besides the last card played? It just seems like unnecessary memorization.
>>
File: 1316368954892.jpg (81KB, 280x320px) Image search: [Google]
1316368954892.jpg
81KB, 280x320px
>>54401036
Heh! All that agonizing over which one to get, and you ended up buying both. Welcome to our addiction Anon...
>>
>>54399332
>you need to find and print player aids.

This is one thing the board game industry as a whole could work on. A lot of enjoyable and challenging games really benefit from equipping the players with the right information in easy to access forms. Fortunately there are a lot of talented fans that make some pretty cool stuff and share it out.
>>
>>54410990
It's the kind of rule often included in games to cut down on analysis paralysis. It encourages (but doesn't prevent) players to refrain from reassessing their options in the face of every possible counterplay.

In this game, the longer you can wait to play a card, the better off you are. It may be an additional balance consideration back in favor of the player with the smaller hand if all players have an imperfect memory. Of course there is no difference if everyone remembers everything.

We didn't follow that rule last time and we still had fun
>>
File: longest turn.jpg (84KB, 510x630px) Image search: [Google]
longest turn.jpg
84KB, 510x630px
>>54411293
>analysis paralysis
Knowing the people in my group, I may want to consider keeping the rule then.
>>
File: 1401397269857.jpg (20KB, 283x324px) Image search: [Google]
1401397269857.jpg
20KB, 283x324px
>Teaching game to people
>Having a bit of a rocky time because I couldn't find a component I needed each player to have
>One friend takes this as me being unable to teach the game and starts ignoring me to read the instructions
>Find the missing bag and can resume where I left off but can't use the instructions now for a reminder on some numbers because friend won't give it back to me
>He starts teaching the game based off the tutorial game rules
>Now we have conflicting information about how to play the game going around taught in a weird order
>Have to snap at him to stop and let me teach the game already
>Come off as a jerk who can't teach games now despite having taught these people over 20 games at this point without trouble before this

The rest of the game even went smoothly but fuck that was so frustrating everyone is going to second guess learning any new games now.
>>
>>54410219
It depends.

A lot of it is simply 'more betrayal' which is all good in my book. I don't care too much about the roof stuff.

What bothered me a little is how some of the haunts are literally ham-fisted soapboxes for political/religious agendas/ideals. For example (spoilers cause you're not supposed to know what kind of haunts can happen until they happen) you literally become a 'right-wing zombie' and/or literally trump. The rules say that you can only speak in meaningless 'political talking points' and your objective is to brainwash all the other characters into more right wing zombies.

Sure there's plenty of just fine haunts, but there are more than one insipid, boring, and borderline hateful haunts that really do not deserve to be in the box and should have been simply cut. And I'm not talking about the 'ugh he hurt my precious feelings' type of hateful I mean 'villagers burning strawmen with the names and faces of their enemies' hateful.

You can tell when 'certain people' wrote 'certain haunts'.

If you can get past the fact that you might run into a few hackneyed politic'd up haunts, then I would say go for it.
>>
>>54411849
Literally the only right wing reference is that the name of it is "Make America Disintegrate Again." Unless you think legalizing all crime, enslaving all foreign leaders, and destroying the sun are Right Wing policies.
>>
File: when the pussy is fine.jpg (248KB, 505x705px) Image search: [Google]
when the pussy is fine.jpg
248KB, 505x705px
>>54372300
So I just checked this out on Tabletopia and saw this. I kek'd like a retard.
>>
has anyone played xia: legends of a drift system and/or its expansion? it looks like fun, but i share in your skepticism about kickstarted projects
>>
>>54412753
It's made as a cartoon evil straman-ing of the right which comes off as cringy and repulsive.
>>
>>54413437
Most people are pretty happy with it, especially after the expansion fixed up some of the balance/RNG issues.
>>
>>54413258
Is this game actually any good? I watched a play through and it looks kind of interesting but seems to be a lot of kinks to work out
>>
>>54413437
There was only one major ks exclusive. The expansion even went out of their way to not have exclusives minus that one ship so I wouldn't be worried on that end. I don't have the content and I don't feel like I'm missing much.

As for the game itself. You need to be really into the idea of it to enjoy the base game. It's a diamond in the rough. The expansion polishes the hell outta it so the only huge complaint left is downtime between turns.
>>
>>54413828
No idea. I just looked at all the cards to get a feel for the game but I haven't actually tried it.
>>
>>54413586
I think you're projecting. Feels like a bog standard monster politician to me.
>>
>>54414611
Not the guy you're replying too, but given who wrote it and what the title of the haunt is, I think it's fair to assume it's a "critique" of right-wing American politics.
>>
>>54411683
Truly the worst. My gf likes to interject and take over when I'm explaining rules because she thinks I'm leaving things out even though I typically have a defined order for explaining the rules. I've had to tell her multiple times that when two people try to teach at the same time it only serves to confuse people
>>
>>54411683
I fucking hate when this happens. I've got a good friend who, while I'm in the middle of teaching a game, will interject with a rule or game play example that I haven't gotten to because it builds off of other things I still need to cover He's a great guy but I want to strangle him when he does that
>>
>>54403917
>Dice aren't really a thing that happened to board games, considering they're part of the first known board game.

I am pretty sure that all of the earliest board games are pure abstracts with no dice involved at all.
>>
>>54417895
>I am pretty sure that all of the earliest board games are pure abstracts with no dice involved at all.
No, as far as I know these 'earliest board games' are houseruled variants of even earlier games that usually had dice and other retarded mechanics. (For example, the ancestor of chess was a miniatures war game for four players that used dice.)
>>
>>54417895
Senet is the oldest known board game, and it's believed to use throwing sticks or knucklebones.
>>
>>54418514
>>54418514
>(For example, the ancestor of chess was a miniatures war game for four players that used dice.)

N-no...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaturanga

Also, neither Chess nor the earliest known variants of it are even remotely in the running for being earliest board game. The margin is somewhere between two thousand and five thousand years....
>>
>>54418794
I didn't say chess was the oldest, I only said that the earliest forms of chess were gambling games with dice.

The other anon is correct: almost all ancient boardgames grew out of gambling games and thus dice is the earliest mechanic.

(In general, playing boardgames without gambling is a later development. Even chess used to be gambling game as late as the 17th century.)
>>
File: pic2957682.jpg (15KB, 232x300px) Image search: [Google]
pic2957682.jpg
15KB, 232x300px
How's Agamemnon for a two player game? Also, are the pieces as flimsy as they look?
>>
>Friend of mine asks if he can play a board game
>Show him Catan
>Complains he doesn't know what to do and both of us end up playing Yahtzee
>Some days later
>Try introducing him to Clank
>End up playing Yahtzee... again
>Screw it and print out dice throne
>Show it to him
>We play Yahtzee
>I want to kill myself
>>
>>54420575
Clank might've been too much, I woulda introduced him to something even simpler like Star Realms.
>>
File: pic3132685.png (123KB, 246x249px) Image search: [Google]
pic3132685.png
123KB, 246x249px
Anyone here owns Kingdomino?what do you think of it?

also whats the point of the little castle?just A E S T H E T I C S?
>>
>>54404670
What about something random happens -> players take decisions -> something random happens?
>>
>>54421375

light game, good for getting usually uninterested family + young gamers involved.

havent tried the 'larger' 2p game yet but it sounds like it could be fun.
(i use patchwork for 2p only games atm)

castle does fuck all, just looks cute.
>>
>>54420575

Maybe try Elder Sign with him?
>>
>>54421793
Kills skill.
>>
>>54422227
What about the other way around?
>>
>>54422247
.lliks slliK
>>
>>54422325
What about players do something random -> a decision happens?
>>
>>54421793
That means there is zero 'player agency' if no matter what the players decide or choose the outcome is totally random.
>>
>>54422356
Don't tell me... Let me guess. You're an 'elected official' aren't you?
>>
>>54421984
thanks anon,here have a (you) :)
>>
>>54420575

try Qwixx

you're still not playing the games *you* want, but at least its better than yahtzee.
>>
>>54420575
Get a friend who won't bitch at any attempt to get him out of his comfort zone
>>
I'm wanting to paint the minis for my doom board game but I don't want to shell out $5-6 per bottle for citadel paint for this one project. Would apple barrel paint do the job for me as long as I thin them down a lot?
>>
>>54425880
For a basic paint job - yeah. If you're looking for fancier look - then you'll want to look at Reaper or other minis grade acrylic paint. GW tends to over-price all of their shiz.
>>
>>54425880
If you're paying $5-6 the LGS that's selling is ripping you off. I get it for $3 a pot which is on par with Reaper/P3/Vallejo
>>
>>54425913
>for a basic job
That's really all I'm going for. I'm not looking to win any awards or anything, I just want to add some color to them

>>54425913
I guess I should go where you go then
>>
>>54426267
Second half of my comment was meant for >>54425960
>>
>>54426283
I did have to look around a bit, my metro area has like 6 game stores (one's a comic shop that has some games) and maybe 3 of them carry paint, and only the one store has stuff at a reasonable price, so I grabbed a couple dozen pots all at once when they were cheap. Might be closer to $4 now, but that's still not awful. If you want hobbyist paints without the price gouging look around for Vallejo online, they make quality stuff and in larger pots, for closer to craft/art pricing than plastic cocaine costs.

That said I use Apple Barrel for anything that isn't a mini I care deeply about, and almost all of my purchases in the last year for the craft projects in my gaming have been either Walmart or Hobby Lobby with a 40% off code. If you can't find the good stuff at a low price, just get the cheaper option and mod it until it's good. Apple Barrel really just needs to be more carefully watered down.
>>
>>54366092
Yes, but not as good as similar games like Rex, and lacks the elegance and simplicity of Diplomacy. It suffers from a common problem called less players = less fun. Either play it with max players or not at all. Overall, if you and your friends like the books or show, and are not afraid of 3-5 hour games, it's worth it. Otherwise play something similar but better.
>>
File: file.png (68KB, 549x464px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
68KB, 549x464px
>>54366540
Monopoly
Risk
Catan

They share the same basic characteristic. Failing dice rolls is unfun, most of the failed rolls don't get you anything, and rolling dice is all you do. When I was young and got from Risk to Diplomacy and other games that don't rely on luck, it was like a flash of lightning.
>>
>>54428526
>When I was young and got from Risk to Diplomacy and other games that don't rely on luck, it was like a flash of lightning.
Wait, do Americans seriously never play chess as kids?
>>
>>54429023
Chess isn't a board game, it's a thing only super-geniuses do.
>>
File: 1483142340796.png (348KB, 540x406px) Image search: [Google]
1483142340796.png
348KB, 540x406px
>>54429023
Chess is really boring and hard.

Diplomacy, on the other hand...
>>
>>54429023
I did, but only because my dad knew how to play and taught me once. Then I went to a chess club in middle school because I liked it. Many kids I knew didn't pick it up until high school because it was the only game installed on our school Macs
>>
>>54429023
I played chess but never liked it much. My problem is that I like to learn things through casual interactions. I never dug deep down reading articles and books about the strategies and tactics. And you can't get very 'good' at chess by just playing it casually.

So one of two things would happen:

A: My opponent was 'good' at the game, and I would get absolutely laughably crushed. They'd ask if I'd like to play again and I would politely decline since I don't really know how to compete with them, and just watching their moves isn't going to help you learn much without explicit instruction from them.

B: My opponent would be about my skill level and we'd putter around, and the game would take a very long time, and at the end we'd rather play a game of spades with other people or something instead of another round of chess.

Chess is for people who like chess.
>>
What's a good game for three people to play, competitive or cooperative?
>>
File: tt.jpg (348KB, 863x1024px) Image search: [Google]
tt.jpg
348KB, 863x1024px
>>54429866
Triumph & Tragedy
>>
>>54429866
I liked Space Hulk: Death Angel.
>>
>>54420575
KoT bro
>>
This weekend I'm planning to play Diplomacy with my friends for the first time ever.

Talk me out of this.
>>
>>54430888
>Needing to be talked out of playing diplomacy
You and your friends deserve each other.
>>
>>54431034
Humans are porcupines in the cold, anon. It's only natural.
>>
File: Spartacus_Board_Game_Banner[1].jpg (90KB, 851x315px) Image search: [Google]
Spartacus_Board_Game_Banner[1].jpg
90KB, 851x315px
Anyone played pic related?
>>
>>54431248
Played it a couple times. Didn't like it.
>>
>>54429866
The King is Dead
Competitive, very strategic, not a lot of components, relatively quick to play, and it's pretty cheap.
>>
>>54431248
Yeah, I've played a lot of it. GF9 reliably does a well above-average job with licensed properties, and I think this is one of their best - but it still has issues.
Rounds are broken down into:
>Take-That card play phase
>Bidding for slaves/gladiators/equipment phase
>Bidding for Arena hosting phase
>Arena phase"
The first phase is going to feel really random until you've got your head wrapped around the cardpool pretty well, at which point it actually becomes pretty good and thick with negotiation.
Second and third phases are solid.
Arena phase is a bit of a letdown, the fights are mostly just mindless dice-chucking with very, very few interesting decisions to make. Not a fan.

I've got a few dozen plays in and it's started to wear a little thin on me, but I'm still glad to have it around when the mood strikes. Eventually I'd like to try and overhaul the combat system, but life is resplendent with distractions from such projects.
>>
>>54431362
Cool, seems to have mostly good reviews, I picked up a copy anyways as the GF9 website lists it as out of print, and it was moderately priced.
Same with Sons Of Anarchy, and its only £15 on Amazon so worth the gamble I think.
Getting them to the table is a different challenge entirely, but thats always the way
>>
Ssssssooooooooooo... new thread?
>>
>>54431427
>Sons Of Anarchy
One of the most overlooked games in the last couple years, cheap and VERY good. The biggest complaint I've ever gotten was "eh I didn't like the theme" and even then they loved the gameplay
>>
>>54431617
On page 5? /tg/ doesn't move fast waiting til we're on page 8-9 is the norm so we don't clog the board.
>>
>>54431660
Seems to be the case, and a steal at £15,might very well be the cheapest in my collection when it arrives
>>
>>54429973
>>54430022
>>54431293
Thanks for the suggestions.
>>
>>54429023
Chess is seen as something that only "nerds" do and if you want to be cool then you don't go near chess
>>
>>54430888
Trust no one
>>
Fresh thread

>>54432722
>>54432722
Thread posts: 321
Thread images: 38

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.