[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Board Game General /bgg/ - last OP image was too messy edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 324
Thread images: 39

File: 1475372369786.jpg (670KB, 1106x1242px) Image search: [Google]
1475372369786.jpg
670KB, 1106x1242px
Last thread:
>>54166290
Pastebin:
>http://pastebin.com/NA2W929q

Gaming budgets; do you have a set amount you allow yourself for spending on games/cons/upgrades/etc? Monthly/yearly/whenever there's disposable income? Do you hoard it and do massive orders or just buy the minute something interesting pops up? When there's no game you're interested in, is there something else related to the hobby you put your money towards?
>>
>>54244335
>Gaming budgets; do you have a set amount you allow yourself for spending on games/cons/upgrades/etc?

Nope. It's more a matter of what's out there that I'm interested in.
>>
>>54244335
I limit myself to $100 a month on BG, and I tend not even to hit that.
I also play Pokemon TCG, after the $100 for consistency and draw cards every additional deck is like $20.
>>
>>54244335
>budget
Since me and my playgroup are about 30 kilometers away from Essen, we usually save our mobey and go on a haul at the annual SPIEL fair. We have no set limits ourselves so we'll pick whatever looks good and plays nicely at a demo game if available.
>>
>>54244335
>Gaming budgets; do you have a set amount you allow yourself for spending on games/cons/upgrades/etc?
Not really. I just try my best to hold back. I failed this month thanks to a convention, but I've done well the last 4 months not getting anything but Hive Pocket so I don't feel bad.
>Do you hoard it and do massive orders or just buy the minute something interesting pops up?
I tend to just go nuts every so often. I have a wishlist, and I just pick and choose some amount from there every so often. $100 or less of games every 4 or so months.
>When there's no game you're interested in, is there something else related to the hobby you put your money towards?
I'm rarely someone to upgrade my components, so while I should keep my eye out in thrift stores for better dining room chairs, not much beyond games that can upgrade game night. I did however spend some of my gaming budget this year on a Terraforming Mars insert. Holding the components is pretty neat but the playerboards with indented points for the cubes sold me on it. It's so nice compared to just keeping them on the wobbly thin mat.
>>
>>54244335
I usually try and keep it to $60 every paycheck but recently I've been spending it on x-wing
>>
File: 1491620665583.gif (7KB, 130x142px) Image search: [Google]
1491620665583.gif
7KB, 130x142px
I want them all so what budget?

I played a drak pack board game when I was a kid.

Help. Help me, bgg.
>>
>>54244335
No budget, just buy something when I have nothing to do.
Usually balanced out by video-games, Gummycraft is launching soon so I'll have extra disposable income for a while.
>>
Luckily theres a boardgame cafe in my city with shitton of boardgames where i can invite friends to play without cluttering my house with shit that gets maybe 3 plays a month, would be handy to own some but my time is so limited and their prices for what are is ridicilous (thx asmodee for the "premium")
>>
>>54244335
i have 80-100€ per year just because I don't want to have games with little plays
>>
File: pic1807124.png (504KB, 700x412px) Image search: [Google]
pic1807124.png
504KB, 700x412px
>Xia looks interesting
>Manage to find people playing it
>Get taught game
Get last place with 8/10 points
>Lasted 3 hours
>Feel incredibly drained
Yeah, this isn't worth it
>>
How do I git gud at 1000 (card game)?

My gf is apparently some kind of card nerd and she kicks my ass like I was a minority and she was the police.
>>
>>54248166
I've never played it but maybe this can help:
http://cardparade.tripod.com/thousand.html
>>
>>54247195
Is it not worth it because you came last? Or because it took three hours? Or because it's draining? Or some other reason. How did you come to this decision? Many questions.

>>54246008
Playing games in your or a friend's home is much more comfy. But that's only one factor among many.

>>54248166
Never played it, but trick taking games are about card counting, figuring out who has which cards while trying to conceal which you have (by playing weirdly).

Whenever I kick someone's ass in a game I'm usually happy to tell them what I did right and what they did wrong. Ask your gf.
>>
File: 43513453.jpg (339KB, 1589x1269px) Image search: [Google]
43513453.jpg
339KB, 1589x1269px
Which of these (abstract) 2-player games do you recommend owning? I already own The Duke.
>>
>>54248799
Onitama. Fast, deep, no randomness and great replayability.
>>
>>54248799
It depends on what are you looking for
>>
>>54248799
I have two of those:
>Hive
Excellent game that appears to be simple but is much deeper than it looks. Like chess, Hive has a meta to it and it rewards anyone who takes some time to learn it. There's no randomness in Hive and the pieces build the board so you can play it anywhere

>Onitama
A really simple and beautiful little brother to chess. The game comes with 16 move cards but you only use 5 per game, leading to 5000+ (I forgot the exact number) different combinations you can play with. Onitama forces you to alter your strategy every game based on the move cards at your disposal and to pay attention to what impact your moves are-this is because once you use a move card it goes to your opponent to use against you. Aside from the quality of the board and pieces, my favorite thing is the win conditions: you can capture the opponent's "master" (king piece) or get your master into your opponent's "home base" (where their master started). The second win condition is great because it forces you to balance offense with defense. Onitama doesn't have a meta so there's not really anything to study, making it a more laid back abstract
>>
>>54249720
>5000+
Way off, there's 43000+ plus combinations.
>>
>>54248799
Hive. The rest of them didn't stand the test of time. (For some 'already', for others 'not yet'.)
>>
>>54248388
Will check out, thanks.

>>54248400
Yeah started looking for memory-systems for card counting and I'll start with that. We went over one game with her but I kind of learn better when I can experiment on my own and try out different things and not "under pressure".
>>
>>54248799
Do Quantum and Raptor really count as 'abstract' games?
>>
>>54249930
Yeah. Raptor, at least, is an unholy child of chess and Citadels.
>>
>>54250023
Thank you. I'll have to work on my understanding of what constitutes an 'abstract' game.
>>
>>54250023
If by unholy child you mean wonderful and an excuse to play with dino models yes yes it is.
>>
I'm getting real fucking tired of L99 continually re-releasing their games with small improvements.
They've already got Devastation and Argent due for a revision.
>>
>>54250090
>understanding of what constitutes an 'abstract' game.
Basically if the theme is, at most, pasted on. I mean, Chess techincally has a theme -- Medieval Warfare -- but the mechanics at best sort of support it, and as is proved by all the bizarre sets you can get it's easy as fuck to reskin (though since Chess is such an old standby people still call the variant pieces by the same name)

The boxes of Quantum and Raptor don't look abstract but neither do Onitama or Santorini even though the games pretty much are. You don't have to be part of the fucked-up-name-and-triangle-grid series to be abstract
>>
>>54244335
>Gaming budget
I try to play fairly conservative with my spending, but I have a weak spot for interesting kickstarters that don't look likely to get a second print run.
Conventional orders is usually ~$100 two or three times a year.
>>
File: IMG_9893.jpg (40KB, 632x211px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9893.jpg
40KB, 632x211px
>>54249785
Really not sure where you're getting that number from. I was only talking about the base game without expansions. Pic related is how many card variations you can have
>>
File: IMG_9894.jpg (42KB, 651x227px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9894.jpg
42KB, 651x227px
>>54249785
If you add the Sensei path expansion then the number of combinations jumps to this
>>
>>54244335
>Gaming budgets
set household monthly budget for all Entertainment. Most of it goes to gaming pursuits since we'll go to the movies 0-1 times and eat out something like 0-3
>>
>>54250404
Those 5 cards could be the same 5 cards but distributed in a different way. Instead of player 1 havin cards A and B, and player 2 having cards C and D, and card E in the middle, there could be the same 5 cards with a different one in the middle.
>>
>>54250404
Your calculation assumes that a beginning like

BC
A
DE

is the same as

DE
A
BC

which it isn't.
>>
Is raptor any good
>>
File: IMG_9895.jpg (39KB, 592x219px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9895.jpg
39KB, 592x219px
>>54250441
>>54250768
Fair enough, I wasn't talking about the number of starting combinations, just the number of different cards available. But here's the number of different starting card combinations
>>
>>54251184
>like asymmetry?
It's good
>enjoy perfect information and trying to out-think your opponent?
It's good
>fan of short 2p games?
It's hard to AP this game into lasting more than 30min
>want to play with dino models?
It sold out it's first print run for a reason
>>
>>54247195
That's too bad. I know it can go on for a while, but I'm always surprised when people describe this as one of the heavier games. Maybe my friends and I just generally don't think too hard about our turns, maybe I just have a knack for teaching it in a way people understand, but I've never had the issue of anything coming off as exhaustingly confusing or anything.
>>
>>54248166
Slav roots detected
120 points in the cards, you usually can only get one marriage tops. Count how long the whole chain of guaranteed tricks nobody can interrupt is, then subtract 30 for every trick you can't get. That's your safe bid.
>>
>>54250404
>>54250422
>>54250768
>>54251403

Wait! We can't have knowledgeable conversations on 4chins! I might have to learn things, and thinkin' makes mah brain hurt.

Any recommendations on a good book for beginners when it comes to understanding statistics and said calculations?

4 Science! (And better board gaming!)
>>
>>54251647
As long as you don't get triggered, this Reddit thread seems like it may be what you want

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.reddit.com/r/statistics/comments/1q45xj/whats_a_good_book_for_learning_statistics/
>>
>>54251938
Thanks! (And no - reddit doesn't trigger me. People who say that Lima Bean taste good is a whole different story...)
>>
>>54251647
>Wait! We can't have knowledgeable conversations on 4chins
Apparently not.

So, anons, any games you'd be embarrassed to set up in front of unknown company?
>>
>>54253948
>Lima Bean
Acceptable in some soups, or for pelting siblings.

>>54253955
>games you'd be embarrassed to set up in front of unknown company
I'd probably get excited enough setting up Heroes of Normandie to worry normal people.
And the previous owner of my Yomi set has daughters who drew more conservative outfits on all the scantily clad ninjas in there, which somehow makes it MORE weird.
>>
>>54244335
Not really, the only board game "news" I really follow regularly is GMT's monthly updates and the ocassional look at some of the games mentioned here. If a game shows up that seems interesting I'll look into it and then maybe P500/buy it. This ends up making my game purchases pretty uneven from year to year, for example bought three games from GMT last year, not bought any new games this year. Also it helps that with the folks I usually play games with we already have a decent amount of games.
>>
>>54244335
When I've run out of new games to buy I know I've spent too much.
>>
File: eu1.jpg (114KB, 900x1600px) Image search: [Google]
eu1.jpg
114KB, 900x1600px
>>
File: ghsfdtghwsrth.jpg (369KB, 1589x1269px) Image search: [Google]
ghsfdtghwsrth.jpg
369KB, 1589x1269px
>>54248799
I boxed the ones I have played and liked. Green = probably a perfect fit. Yellow = recommended but read up on it and watch videos to make sure it's what you're looking for. Ther others I haven't tried. I keep hearing good things about Hive, Tzaar and Yinsh. Never heard of Tak.
>>
File: IMG_5029.jpg (343KB, 2000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5029.jpg
343KB, 2000x2000px
Thoughts?
>>
>>54255276
Not even Nintendo could turn this garbage fire into something good.
>>
>>54255092
If you like LYNGK you'll enjoy the other GIPF series quite a bit because they all feel very similar. I actually prefer YINSH to LYNGK but they're close for my tastes.

Tak is a Cheapass Games creation based off of a vague description of a game from Pat Rothfuss' Kingkiller Chronicles. The design is ok, it feels good, but I don't think you'd see it posted all over if not for the book tie-in. It's not mind blowing, and the production is meh. The style of the pieces is nice, and the capstones are cool turned knobs, but the board is fucking atrocious and if it's supposed to be this great table game that you want to keep out you need a better board, or a more refined look to the box. Wyrmwood did a bunch of sets as part of the kickstarter, and you can still get some, but then you're talking $300, and honestly the game is barely worth the $50 Cheapass is charging for it.
>>
To all the abstract talking people. If chess were released today, how do you think people would evaluate it? Would it still be considered a great abstract game or does it have its position due to age?
>>
>>54255682
If you mean today as in TODAY, it'd have a hard time catching on. Go back 40-50 years? It'd do better and might last. There's been plenty of games that haven't lasted as old as chess, and plenty that have and are older. Backgammon traces it's roots back what 5000 years? Chess is like 7th century AD, it'd still catch on but with the glut of abstracts (especially in the last few decades) it'd have a harder time. The question is would you see a reprint 20 years after it first came out where it gets themed and overproduced like Santorini? That might help it catch on
>>
>>54255813
>The question is would you see a reprint 20 years after it first came out where it gets themed and overproduced like Santorini?

You mean like Lord of the Rings chess? Harry Potter chess? Warhammer 40k chess? Lego chess?
>>
>>54255900
I meant one that looks good
>>
>>54253955
There are plenty of games out there with cringe-worthy art or theme. Out of the games I own, maybe Love Letter since I'd probably get some looks trying to get people to play a game with that title that comes in a red felt bag.
>>
I managed to play the entirety of the introductory scenario of LotR LCG with my girlfriend the other night. Teaching her the rules was painfuly hard, but once we got to playing everything went smoothly, we had a blast, and managed to win by a landslide. She even told me she enjoyed being the badass fighter (she played the Tactics deck, i played Lore)
I also enjoyed the hell of it in solo play, so I say it was very worth it, and I'll be looking to get some expansions in the near future.
Thanks for the recommendation, lost anon. Thanks a bunch.
>>
>>54248799

I played Quantum with 2 friends last weekend. It was great fun. I would love to see more expansions to it and new set of rules.
Santorini has great components but I would not recommend owing it. Raptor is lot of fun but I would not see it coming off the shelf too much either. I have yet to try the rest.
>>
>>54255374
>>54255276
I haven't played it but I've seen people say that it's not complete garbage since it isn't a textbook version of monopoly
>>
>>54255276
wtf I want to play monopoly now?
https://youtu.be/IadxOqmfwlA
>>
>>54251647
>Any recommendations on a good book for beginners when it comes to understanding statistics and said calculations?
You need to already have a decently strong single variable calculus base. Otherwise when you get to probability distributions you will sink like lead.

Here's a few introductory books, they are all called "probability and statistics" or similar but have different authors:
By Paul Meyer. Ed. Addison Wesley Longman
By Morris de Groot. Addison Wesley.
By George Canavos. Ed. Mac Graw Hill.
By Jay Devore. Ed. Thomson.
By Douglas Montgomery. George Runger. Ed. Mac Graw Hill.
>>
>>54255276
>Roll and move property aquisition is still there
>Player interactions depend on randomness
It's still shit.
Although probably better than regular monopoly.
>>
File: qwixx.jpg (76KB, 500x337px) Image search: [Google]
qwixx.jpg
76KB, 500x337px
How is Qwixx? I need games for a ferry trip. Already thinking of bringing Love letter.
>>
>>54257876
Very meh. Rolling Japan/America/World is a better option of the same style
>>
>>54257876
Seems like an okay activity to kill some time but quite dull as a game.
>>
>>54247195
play with expansion
>>
>Prime Day launches
>all "sales" are only slightly better than CSI regular pricing
For once I'm thankful Amazon is trying to rip people off, more money saved for Gencon
>>
File: homeland.png (371KB, 918x540px) Image search: [Google]
homeland.png
371KB, 918x540px
>>54259878
It's cheap, but is it good?
>>
>>54259925
>GF9
I'd say 70/30 it's not bad, they seem to have figured out how to do licensed games that are good.
>>
>>54255276
I'd be open to trying it on TTS
>>
Played Eldritch horror not too long ago and fell in love with it. Just bought the first expansion for it yesterday from paizo for $40 after shipping after seeing how ridiculous the prices are everywhere else. Did I make a mistake?
>>
>>54260033
Fuuuck no (if you like EH that is)
That expac is essential.
>>
>>54259957
>licensed games that are good
I don't believe it
>>
>>54260063
BSG is apparently the best hidden traitor game on the market, and Star Trek games have a damn good record.
>>
>>54260063
Sons of Anarchy is a solid euro with combat. STEEV can tell you about Spartacus, which is supposedly good. Firefly/ST Ascendancy are both decent. Hell I've heard their WWE game is pretty good, though any pro-wrestling game that doesn't have Hogan/Flair/Savage/anyone pre-2015 is a mistake.
>>
>>54259878
I've got
>sushi go party
>xenoshyft:dreadmire
>codenames
>clank!
to come out to just under $100, while the same stuff on CSI is like 115. Not too bad
>>
>>54260551
You bought a tinned game from amazon? Oh the dents on that are going to be terrible
>>
>>54260143
>STEEV can tell you about Spartacus, which is supposedly good.
It's gone a little stale on me, the combat SHOULD be the highlight but there's just not much strategy to be had. The rest is solid enough though.
>>
>>54260617
Oh fuck, you're right. I'm never shy to send them back shit that's fucked up though.
>>
>>54260617
We do it on purpose.
Fuck you brick-and-mortar killers.
>>
Played Unlock: Squeak and Sausage yesterday. Island of Dr. Goorse is still my favorite, but this one probably has the most overall appeal. I wasn't expecting a direct homage to Lucas Arts adventure games. They managed to nail the art style, the soundtrack, and even wholesale ripped off at least one classic Lucas Arts puzzle/gag. I have no nostalgia for those games but this is great for someone who does
>>
Just bought 7 Wonders for $22.65 of Amazon. How likely is it to be a Chinese counterfeit copy?
>>
>>54261519
>Nooo don't kill my obsolete business model
I hope you still ride horses everywhere and own an ice box instead of a freezer.
>>
>>54261738
>oh please mr bezos let me suck your cock more
>>
>>54261725
If you did the first result, its likely the publisher of the game.
>>
>>54261903
It's sold by TOYCENTER which raised red flags after I looked at it, but it's fulfilled by Amazon and there are about a half dozen other listing at around the same price. I guess I have to wait and see what it looks like when I get it and hope it's just a pricing war.
>>
>>54261937
You're safe, prime day has a bunch of prices deflated so 3rd party sellers that run on bots to drop prices and keep in line with current trend have gone down too. Besides counterfeit isn't the current Chinese scam, they're on the fake tracking/no item for sale scam due to how Amazon relaxed account creation in late 2015. As long as the seller isn't "just launched" it's fine.
>>
File: 1499541906820.gif (387KB, 269x270px) Image search: [Google]
1499541906820.gif
387KB, 269x270px
>>54261738
>mfw actually own an ice box
To be fair I got it for free and just use it as a booze dump at the hunting cabin.
>>
>>54261970
Thanks for the tips.
>>
>>54254664
Any relation to the computer game(s)?

>>54261970
>fake tracking/no item for sale scam
What? How do they scam money if there is no item for sale?
>>
>>54262156
Simple: they charge your card without actually sending you anything.
>>
>>54262156
The Paradox games started as direct implementations of the EU board game.
>>
Are the Arkham Horror LCG expansions worth it? After looking through the base game, there only being three scenarios makes it seem like the base game will get repetitive quickly
>>
>>54262156
>Short version
what >>54262178 said

>Long version
Amazon made it much easier to open an account as a seller a little while ago, all you need now is an email address, a place for the money to go, and you're in business. The current Chinese scam is to open an account saying you're somewhere in the states, list dozens (more likely hundreds) of items for far cheaper than average (50% off or more) and then hope someone bites on it looking for a deal. Once you pay, they will send you a tracking number that either shows up as Chinese post, or item already delivered just to keep the system moving, they might even send multiple shipping infos if you complain. Meanwhile your payment clears, they get the money in their bank accts. When you finally get fed up and file a claim with Amazon's A to Z refund service, they've already withdrawn funds, and after a month you get refunded. The CC company or your bank, or Amazon get hit with the fee (maybe even all 3), the seller's account is suspended, but they've already opened a new one with another fake email and started all over again. You might lose a couple bucks in service fees/unrefundables but in the meantime you've got a massive headache and all because Amazon decided doing simple checks to make sure their sellers actually exist and have items for sale was too big a hassle.
>>
>>54257543
Thank you! The Clue x 4 to the brain stem is appreciated.
>>
>>54262306
A footnote to all this, Amazon did start cracking down on these accounts towards the end of the first quarter this year, new accounts can't list thousands of items anymore until they prove they're real. Shit part, scammers got wise and bought or hacked older accounts with strong ratings. Unless you see "fulfilled by Amazon" or a Prime logo, be careful.
>>
>>54255682
>If chess were released today, how do you think people would evaluate it? Would it still be considered a great abstract game or does it have its position due to age?
Frankly, I think if it was released today it'd be *more* popular, not less. Chess is still, hands down, the most fun and most thematic abstract of them all. It's a fantastic game to play with kids and with family.

The hate chess gets is because its metagame is absolutely toxic, especially if you play competitively in a tournament style. If chess came out today it wouldn't be played competitively and people wouldn't have the bad vibes they get from chess today when they try to learn the 'correct' style of playing chess.
>>
>>54260063
Tyrants of the underdark is bretty good. Its not perfect by any means, but i liked it more than blood rage or scythe, for example.
>>
>>54262571
Kind of strange to imagine people dedicating their entire lives to Tak. And Tak matches being points of contention between the U.S. and the Soviets.
>>
>>54262715
Better than Connect Four I guess.
>>
>>54251599
Slav roots acknowledged.

Thanks, didn't think about the bidding phase yet, currently in process of doing a memory matrix for remembering cards.
>>
>>54262256

Hopefully you knew going into AHLCG that it's a money sink. If not, I'm terribly sorry anon...

Back to your question, the expansions are not only worth it but IMO necessary in the context of the game being a campaign style RPG inspired LCG. But because it's campaign style, you won't just buy one expac and call it good, to experience everything you'd want to buy the Dunwich Legacy big box expansion ($30) and the 6 following mythos packs ($15 each). Or start fresh when the new Carcossa expansions start.

Again, hopefully you knew the money sink going in. If not, I would advise purchasing the Dunwich Legacy big box to see how a different campaign could start and see the very interesting things that can be done with the design space in that game. It will only have two scenarios but they serve to kick off the campaign and are much better than anything in the Core (special mention does go to Midnight Masks for being the best Core scenario though).

The mythos packs following that also throw different design ideas at the players during the scenarios and also add some great player cards. So if you do decide to continue the Dunwich Horror you'll have to get them sequentially for the story, otherwise just get the packs you want with the player cards you want.
>>
File: neuroshima hex.jpg (20KB, 246x246px) Image search: [Google]
neuroshima hex.jpg
20KB, 246x246px
Is this good? It looks cool and many people seem to like it. Should I just buy the app?
>>
>>54264785
Its fine. A bit overrated sometimes (and most definitely overprised), but fine. App is cheaper, but have rules of 2nd edition (there are not many changes, but still). My advice - try an app/pnp, then go for a real thing. Also, try to find version with 5 armies - will give you a nice start.
>>
File: dice.gif (10KB, 300x163px) Image search: [Google]
dice.gif
10KB, 300x163px
Some people say that this is the cancer that is killing board games. Would you agree?
>>
>>54264877
People saying that are salty people who can't deal with randomization.
>>
>>54264877
Partially. Dice are not bad per se, but there's way too many games that let them "take over" instead of having them be a tool to just increase variation.
>>
File: games.jpg (42KB, 501x296px) Image search: [Google]
games.jpg
42KB, 501x296px
>Tfw your job starts using (white)board games for actual planning
>>
>>54264877
no, multiplayer solitaire engine-building is the cancer that is killing board games
>>
>>54265131
There's no such thing as a 'multiplayer solitaire game', there's only games your dumb ass can't form a strategy for. Just because a game is too complex for you to grasp doesn't mean it's necessarily bad.
>>
>>54265131
Truth. Interactivity is the spice of life.
>>
>>54265125
>mfw CIA employees play boardgames as training exercises

https://www.polygon.com/2017/6/22/15730254/cia-board-game-volko-ruhnke-coin-series-gmt-games
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/03/the-cia-uses-board-games-to-train-officers-and-i-got-to-play-them/

I highly doubt these would be "fun" games, but it was still a bit of a surprise when I found out
>>
>>54265245
I'd play that El Chapo game.
>>
>>54264877
Nope, coops, mandatory apps, shitty humour, lack of player interaction and leftist e-celebs are WAY worse.
>>
>>54265131
>multiplayer solitaire
This, so fucking much. When i`m PLAYING the GAME, i want to PLAY, not jerk off in the corner.
>>
>>54266498
I wrote this before: a game is an activity with three parts:
a) A problem
b) A competition
c) Some meaningful decisions.

Notice that working through your school bullying trauma by passive-aggressively shitting on your game buddies isn't part of the formula.
>>
>>54265170
Oh my! Did I wander into tumblr to see people making blind assumptions and being really offended for free?
>>
File: 2proj.jpg (38KB, 639x426px) Image search: [Google]
2proj.jpg
38KB, 639x426px
>>54266915
>>
>>54266915
>school bullying trauma by passive-aggressively shitting
So many buzzwords, tumblerina, go play your "blow for the sjw-galaxy", dont let me hurt your cuck feelings.
>>
>>54266980
>dont let me hurt your cuck feelings
You couldn't even if you tried, Butthurt Boy.
>>
I'm fairly new to the hobby 1-2 years. Should I go to SPIEL?
>>
>>54265131
>>54266498
>Anything that's not an ameritrash dungeon crawl is cancer

And then anon was the cancer.
>>
>>54267088
Have you ever been to a convention? It's a very person packed sort of deal, so if you can handle that, and you can afford the travel then I don't see why not.
>>
>>54267223
I have yes but not to a hobby convention.
>>
>>54260063
I like StarCraft a lot,

Does Neuroshima: Hex count as licensed? It's based on a pen & paper RPG.
>>
>>54266915
And I as I pointed out before, the author of the article you sited did NOT exclude 'Fun' or 'Social Interaction' as part of games.
>>
>>54267751
>Does Neuroshima: Hex count as licensed? It's based on a pen & paper RPG.

I'm not really sure which one came first to be honest.
>>
>>54267763
Protip, neither did I.

Track and field doesn't suddenly become less of a sport just because you're not allowed to randomly punch competitors while running.
>>
>>54266915
>I wrote this before: a game is an activity with three parts:
>a) A problem
>b) A competition
>c) Some meaningful decisions.
>Notice that working through your school bullying trauma by passive-aggressively shitting on your game buddies isn't part of the formula.

Small flaw in your logic - in order for a competition to take place there has to be a winner and 1 or more losers. Apparently you are shitting on your gaming buddies and in denial about it too.

<Golf Clap>

Bravo Anon!
>>
>>54267772
Neuroshima is 2003 and Neuroshima: Hex! is 2005. It's owned by the same publishing house so I guess "licensed" doesn't apply.
>>
>>54267810
>Protip, neither did I.

You kept trying to argue that 'Fun' and 'social interaction' were not part of games last time. (And you're still trying to imply it this time - now with 'Bonu Ad Hominem' attacks.) And I clearly pointed out content from the article in question that implied that they were in fact important. Would you like me to quote the relevant parts *again*?
>>
>>54267814
>competition
>>
>>54267868
You're implying that the only way to have ""fun"" and ""interaction"" is by random passive aggression towards your buddies.

Protip: despite your highschool trauma, there are actually lots of different ways different people can have fun.

I assure you nobody ever makes or plays unfun games, and if you don't see why a particular game is fun then it's your loss, not theirs.

>>54267814
Racing is a valid and time-honored form of competition in both sports and boardgames.
>>
>>54265131

Can you provide examples of this? What current board games are like this?
>>
File: 1412112573877.jpg (170KB, 442x650px) Image search: [Google]
1412112573877.jpg
170KB, 442x650px
>go on BGG to look at deals forum
>find out Amazon fucked up coding and from 2100-2140 last night prime deals were applying 3x
>Mage Knight for $20 or less
>free copies of X-wing
>Imhotep for $2
I really hate being stingy with my money sometimes, I could've cleaned up had I actually put stuff in card that was just at my buy prices
>>
>>54267936
Oh looky - more Ad Hominem and more back-peddling. What, did you figure out that the article about computer game design didn't actually back your spurious logic about board gaming? Awww.

P.S. Racing still has a winner and lots of losers. Denial is NOT a counter argument. On the plus side you seem to be in denial a lot. Obviously you're good at it - lots of practice.
>>
>>54267979
I disagree that they are bad but the ones that come to mind are Race for the Galaxy, Imperial Settlers. Maybe Terra Mystica
>>
>>54267810
Bingo isn't a sport, anon.
>>
What board games are considered the best Beer and pretzel style games? Sometimes I just want to turn my brain off and play a light weight drinking board game with friends
>>
>>54268063
King of Tokyo. Rolling dice and punching people.

Carcassonne. Simpler tile placement/area control game

Love Letter. Simple strategy game that gets funny if you're literally having beers and someone misses an obvious play.
>>
>>54265245
>I highly doubt these would be "fun" games, but it was still a bit of a surprise when I found out
I mean, it's vidya but Tetris was originally a KGB training program and it basically turned out to be a fun abstract speed/puzzle game
>>
>>54264499
I expected it to be a moneysink, so that's not really a problem for me. I was just making sure that it was worth sinking the money into. I wouldn't want to spend money on expansions that simply aren't good enough to justify the price. But, if they're worth it and they sound like they are!, I have no problem getting the expansions and mythos packs.

I'm relatively new to board games, so I was mostly worried about making a bad purchase on some products that aren't worth the price of admission. But it sounds like if I enjoy the base games, the expansions are all of similar quality. Thanks for the advice! I'll get the Dunwich Legacy when I go to Board Game Night probably.
>>
>>54268063
Flick em up
>>
>>54268063

Bang! the Dice Game.

Your choices each turn are which dice to reroll (reroll arrows, don't reroll if you might end up with 3 dynamite) and if you should shoot someone to your left or right.

There's more to it than that, but for how light it is it's fun as hell.
>>
>>54268000
Serious question, are you actually literate? Are you high on jenkem or something?

I specifically said that games require competition, not once, not twice, but three times, and you're somehow claiming I don't believe in winners and losers? (At least the last part definitely isn't true, I fervently do believe you're a loser.)
>>
>>54268017
>Race for the Galaxy, Imperial Settlers. Maybe Terra Mystica
Race for the Galaxy is a racing game with very clever interaction mechanisms and a complex metagame that doesn't boil down to "I drew a +5 attack card and wrecked your shit, hue hue, sucks to be you!" like 90% of the games out there.

Imperial Settlers has direct interaction in the form of wrecking your opponent's shit with attack cards, and Terra Mystica is a tactical area control game like chess.

In summary, you're a fag and your shit's all retarded.
>>
>>54268047
Nobody here brought up Bingo except your sorry slow ass, anon.
>>
I generally don't spend more than £25 per game, but I stopped buying games every month a while ago - there's only so much storage space, y'know?
>>
>>54269563
>there's only so much storage space, y'know?
The words of a man who needs more shelves.
>>
>>54268304

As for the scenarios themselves, your mileage may vary for replayability, etc. I myself own the full Dunwich Legacy set (big box + all mythos packs) but have only played the first two mythos packs with my wife. However, I have used all of the other packs for their player cards of which some are very strong.

For specifics on the scenarios, all I can say is Extracurricular Activities is good and has a nice decision at the end increasing its replayability. The House Always Wins is my favorite so far and has some very unique and flavorful mechanicsms. Miskatonic Museum is my least favorite and feels like an easy way for FFG to use up some old Elder Sign dice game assets. Last one I've played is Essex County Express which is very straightforward and essentially a "deck check" - the simplicity of it is a nice change of pace. The scenario we'll be playing next, Blood on the Altar, I've heard good things about so I'm excited for it.

And it should be mentioned that all of the above scenarios beat the snot out of the first and last scenario in the core.

As for being worried about spending money, you ultimately decide what is "value" to you. Many see the LCG model as not worth it and a rip-off, I see it as a monthly expense like an MMO subscription but instead of being locked out when I don't pay, I just don't get the latest cards but still always have access to old content that I can revisit at will. If that makes any sense.
>>
>>54269980
I wish I could find the Dunwich Legacy in my language but shit is completely out of stock no matter where I look.
>>
>>54269651
No, the words of a man who needs a house with a much bigger basement.
>>
File: BoardGameIdeaTempleofMammon.pdf (78KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
BoardGameIdeaTempleofMammon.pdf
78KB, 1x1px
>>54244335
Is there a game where you and several other players go through a temple/dungeon to try and get as much treasure as possible without dying?
I ask because I'm working on something like that.
PDF related.

I asked at the PDF Share Thread, and they suggested for me to come here.
>>
>>54270530
Clank!
>>
>>54269980
When are they going to print more dunwich legacy shit again? Everything is out of stock and almost double MSRP on somethings.
>>
>>54270530
Every dungeon crowler it's kind of like that
>>
File: 1467211274821.jpg (15KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
1467211274821.jpg
15KB, 320x320px
I want to play some games but have no friends. Is there a /bgg/ online night?
>>
>>54269651
My living space is a very odd duck, mostly taken up with second-hand books that it's taken me years to read. I'm going to have to get rid of a lot of stuff. I might be able to fit a Kallax in there, but I don't know if it'd be more than a 2-square one
>>
>>54270793
Boardgamearena
Tabletopia
Boite de jeu
Etc
>>
File: pic3068408.jpg (2MB, 1705x2388px) Image search: [Google]
pic3068408.jpg
2MB, 1705x2388px
>>54270530
>Is there a game where you and several other players go through a temple/dungeon to try and get as much treasure as possible without dying?
Pic related
>>
File: talishit.jpg (21KB, 246x246px) Image search: [Google]
talishit.jpg
21KB, 246x246px
>>54268063
I don't know. But I know what isn't. Talisman. What a giant pile of hot garbage. Whenever I vent about Talisman and how shit it is people always say "but anon it's a beer and pretzel kind of game." I don't care in what drawer you want to shove this game but it's shit. It's not fun. It's so incredibly dull. You sit there, sometimes for more than 3 hours because of all the fucking expansions, rolling dice begging god to end your suffering. And your decision making consists of "uuhh do I go left or right?" Fuck I hate this game so much. Yes I'm salty. So many wasted hours. It's Pachisi with the most generic fantasy paint job you can imagine.

Talisman is worse than Monopoly.
>>
>>54270875
Best of luck. I've had some fortune with floating shelves; placed high it may require a stepladder to reach what is placed upon them, but for lesser used games that is quite an acceptable outcome, as they are displayed, gone from any tables and chairs they formerly occupied freeing such furniture for its conventional use, and if desired can still be accessed.
>>
>>54270583
>>54270311

According to FFG's Upcoming section, the first two Mythos packs are "Shipping Now" so might be in stock in a week or less. Unfortunately nothing else is listed so it may be a few months.

Luckily my LGS always reserves any future AHLCG releases for me, but my suggestion would be to get the Dunwich Legacy stuff as it arrives/reprints, but start buying the Path to Carcosa items ASAP to avoid future headaches. Rumor is the Carcosa box will arrive early next month or so (current status on it is "On the Boat"). You also don't need any Dunwich packs for Carcosa, just the core.

FFG's reprint cycle is a true pain in the ass.
>>
>>54270966
>worse than Monopoly.
Don't say things you'll regret when you come off the salt bender, Anon. There are a lot of bad games, but what you are saying is the darkest of accusations, before which even the conventional bad game is blameless.
>>
>>54271020
I am well aware of what I said and be sure to know that I chose my words wisely.
>>
Star Realms Frontiers KS live
ttps://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1172937197/star-realms-frontiers
So jazzed for this.
>>
>>54270530

Seconding the Clank! recommendation. One of the better deck builders out there and the "get treasure and get out" idea is tied nicely to a strong push your luck mechanism as opposed to randomly getting the best treasure or rolling dice in mindless combat to get treasure.
>>
>>54271470
What's up with all of those command decks?
>>
>>54270530
Also, I forgot to ask, but what are your thoughts on what I posted? I'd like some criticism to further my skill as a creator.
>>
>>54271040
So be it. According to arcane sources (and a little google translate) this should be the correct invocation to dispose of something so evil:

"Baazelbub, princeps est ad orientalem, recens praecipitationis; Moloch bovem aeneum Domine ignis comedentis liberorum; Demogorgon magni et inferni. Sancta trinitate audient vocem iudicio damnatos meum centrum operam meam. Sors immanis et inanis. Haec prior est summum peccatum in maligno positus est. Incarnatio fons taedii efficiatur tempus vastatorem, qui corrumpis somniorum, quae unum facit; ludum noctibus, ut non lecta designata est: TALISMAN.

Voco te a facie aquilonis. Veni.
Voco te ab occidente. Veni.
Voco te habeat a meridie. Veni.
Voco te ab orientalem. Veni.

Excita, inferos, potestates tenebrarum pervadit, et iudicare sed qui egredietur de tuum, fructus sunt de femore damnatio. Vel dic ipsum daemonem magnum aeternum aeterno flagellat omnem tabularum originali omnium ludorum MONOPOLY pulsus est.

Et factum est accusatio."

Now, again, this was slightly tool-assisted, so you should have some extra salt, a Thuggee knife, some condoms, and your firstborn handy even if normal board-game-too-evil-for-this-world-disposal rituals don't call for them; it never hurts to be prepared.
>>
File: its milking time.jpg (62KB, 318x396px) Image search: [Google]
its milking time.jpg
62KB, 318x396px
>>54271470
>More stuff for Star Realms, the game that everyone loved for a few months until they realized how shallow it is and then interest quietly died down
>>
>>54271928
Except they came out with another version in between then and now
>>
>>54271953
That kind of turnover does not endear me to the thought of buying in to the KS.
>>
>>54271953
What, Star Realm Colony Wars? It's the same fucking game, just slightly different arrangement of numbers on stuff.
>>
>>54270530
There are A LOT of games where the goal is to gather the largest treasure haul. Treasure Hunter, Cutthroat Caverns, and even 'Munchkin' to an extent.
>>
>>54271693
You start with a cool new unique deck instead of the boring regular deck, kind of like Hero Realms is doing with Character Packs.

>>54271928
I play Star Realms at least once a week, sometimes more. Lately, been playing Hero Realms more, though, probably like 3x/wk at least.

>>54272038
Colony Wars by itself is a pretty different game. It is slower, more defense-focused and it takes a different strategy to play. Same with all the other smaller expansions, they all change the game in a big way. It's great to try something new once you've gotten pretty good at the Star Realms base games. I've played the base game so much, but I still find new strategies.
>>
>>54271922
>Now, again, this was slightly tool-assisted, so you should have some extra salt, a Thuggee knife, some condoms, and your firstborn handy even if normal board-game-too-evil-for-this-world-disposal rituals don't call for them; it never hurts to be prepared.

I Kek'd. Nice!
>>
>>54271985
>everybody forgot the game
>What about hero realms?
>them supporting the game too hard means it's bad
>>
>>54272116
Do you think I should get hero realms and some expansions to it or back this and get the extras?
>>
>>54272134
>new expandalone yearly
Turnover too high I can't trust it!
>6 years between support packs
OMG why did they let this game die!

It certainly makes me rethink wanting to design a game with the intent for quarterly update packs like HoN does.
>>
Also, anybody who complains about Star Realms is probably part of the Cult of the New and doesn't play individual games more than 2 or 3 times. Star Realms is a game to play over and over, becoming more familiar and competitive at over time.. It's a short game, so it's easy to play multiple times in a row, too.

>>54272205
Well it depends on what you want, who you play with, and if you have already played Star Realms. If you haven't, just spend 10 bucks and play Star Realms a bunch first. Hero Realms honestly seems less of a competitive game, and better as a cooperative game made for the upcoming Ruin of Thandar Campaign Deck.
>>
>>54271928
Well, it still a best deckbuilder in the market, so...
>>
>>54272258
>Star Realms is a game to play over and over
Except it's not.

It's a very straightforward game that, once you learn the relative value of the cards, becomes entirely depends on what the trade row spits out for you on your turn.

There is very little in the way of both tactics and strategy because of how random the trade row makes the game.
>>
>>54272331
I've heard this one before. So you suck at Star Realms? I do not doubt you could improve if you played more. Also, it is okay to just not enjoy a game, maybe it's not for you.
>>
>>54272371
Wow, you shills are getting aggressive.
>>
>>54272282
How about no? It doesn't come close to toppling the standbys of the genre like Dominion or Ascension, much less their mechanically-better-but-cringey-art/theme Japanese psuedo-remakes (why is this a thing?) like Tanto Cuore, Barbarossa, or Kanzume Goddess.
>>
>>54272331
>Except it's not.
>>54272586
>How about no?

Only a Sith deals in absolutes. Good! Use your aggressive feelings, boy. Let the hate flow through you!
>>
>>54272586
>standbys of the genre like Dominion or Ascension
I bet you also like Catan, Monopoly and Risk/
>>
>>54272731
hahaha
>>
>>54272282
You mean Valley of the Kings? I quite agree.
>>
>>54268833
Nobody ever says that "multiplayer solitare game" is has *literally* no interaction - it would be hard to name such a game.

In the case of imperial settlers you have 5 rounds. Usually it's impossible to attack round 1, unless you're a barbarian you won't have more than 4 sword production (it's doubtful you'll even have 3 sword production as Atlanteans).

Realistically speaking you won't get any of the attack buildings until round 3 (if a that). So during a game we're talking about 5-10 POTENTIAL interactions.

I say potential because during rounds 4-5l you DON'T WANT TO raze/destroy anything unless it's a combo building because:
1) you don't want to feeding your opponent +1 wood - 1 resource is big in the final round and might translate into 2+ VPs or even worse set off a free combo chain
2) the tactics for the 5th round is wait untill the opponent passes - you DON'T raze shit unless you know this is his combo building otherwise you lose raze tokens potentially allowing the opponent to setup a VP combo
3) the faction that has the most razes prefers to use them on their own cards because it can score the most VPs there.

Yes Imperial Settlers has interactions but they're very limited you need to time it well to win.And this is why it's mutliplayer soliater becuse in a practical 2p game you'll have about the same amount of interactions (per player) as the game rounds.
>>
File: City01.jpg (524KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
City01.jpg
524KB, 1200x900px
>>54272213
>It certainly makes me rethink wanting to design a game with the intent for quarterly update packs like HoN does.

The beauty of HoN is that you don't *NEED* the packs. The base game is fine and offers a fair amount of replay value. If you want to expand - then go nuts or carefully pick and choose your expansions. I skipped all their fancy storage boxes, and some of the expansions - though I did go with a lot of the terrain stuff and some of their quarterly magazine updates.
>>
>>54273773
That's just because it's not a competition game. You don't NEED new waves for miniatures games or LCGs/CCGs but if you want to win you're dropping money twice a year on them. If it's a straight board game then people bitch about expansions being "fixes" or Day 1 DLC.

I just think the quarterly model is a nice way to update a game that lends to campaign style play, while keeping the cost down/spaced out. Have a war-game built around ancient battles? This quarter release 2-3 units and the scenarios for one of Caesar's campaigns, next quarter you drop Antony/Octavian's battles against Brutus/Cassius. Got a dungeon crawler? 2 new spells per class and the next 4 missions against a new mini-boss. It'd be a nice way to update/support a game without making someone buy a massive box, and skip content that doesn't interest them
>>
>>54264877
I tried making a few games that had no randomness to them, just to ty and see if they felt mor "strategic" or "tactical" and if they depend solely on the smarts of the player. They do, but they're often boring. It's hard to get excited at fairly predictable outcomes or at outsmarting/being outsmarted. It's a different kind of fun, and there can still be tension in picking "the best move", but overall excitement drops.
>>
>>54267814
Okay, now even assuming competition equates to shitting on your friends which it doesn't. You sound like a fun player. [\spoiler], cooperative games have you competing against the game, not your friends. So there's that.
>>
File: IMG_20170711_181030.jpg (500KB, 1210x908px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170711_181030.jpg
500KB, 1210x908px
Mail time! Got Xia: Embers of a Forsaken Star. Xia I just barely managed to fit it all in the box after removing the little plastic insert. Nice that they let you remove that piece of mostly wasted space separately from the useful insert. Been hyped to try this all year with how much it adds and fixes.

The other is Road Kill Rally. I saw people playing this and it looked fun. My group loves Deathrace 2000 so I humored the idea of looking it up and it was being sold for $15. So I cannot really guarantee it's a good game, ratings are average, but with the theme and the clearance level "please get this off our shelves" price point, I decided to do it.
>>
>>54274720
>Xia
You poor thing
>>
>>54274720
>>54275468
Between the two of you sell me on buying or hating Xia. What is it, why should I care, and what are its perks and/or crimes?
>>
>>54275697
It's like monopoly in space
>>
>>54275790
In what way though. There's so much wrong with monopoly that I feel you need to be specific in your comparisons.
>>
File: pic2825520_md.jpg (73KB, 500x304px) Image search: [Google]
pic2825520_md.jpg
73KB, 500x304px
>>54268063
Escape from Mummy Mansion/Mummy Madness (pic related)
Rhino Hero. Dear God, Rhino Hero.
>>
>>54271012
Alright thanks for the advice man.
>>
>>54271922
Sic filii scite tibi vi sacramentum
Erit praemium sanguine sanctum
Erit praemium sanguine sanctum absconditum
Vel venio hūmānitās tendo pendēre
Sanguine sanctum

Honesta rete sanguinem
Expectare iste blasphemia
Es vītae ita dissimilum
Terrēs vīcerit trānem bestia

Honesta rete sanguinem
Expectare iste blasphemia
Hac mystērium obsumus
Arguam vitae ere non absolvis

Ignotus
Timere
Ignotus
Sanguine
Timere
Venēna scitis.

Festiva praestābere
Sanguine Sanctum
Ita venīte iste vinum
languēscendum
O, succus temero
>>
>>54276091
Roll to move is presumably what he's on about, it's pretty much my only beef with xia.
>>
>>54274720
My Xia Embers copy, with base game, shipped on Monday. I am freaking out, waiting to play that thing. Cannot wait!
>>
>>54278443
I'm excited - hopefully my copy of 'Nemo's War' will be here soon. No idea when 'A Handful of Stars' will be arriving.
>>
Just ordered Splendor and Patchwork to get my recently acquired gf into my board game hobbies.

Are these two games good way to get normies inTo boardgames?
>>
>>54275697
Hi, guy who posted the image here. Xia's selling points is that it does an open sandbox space adventure pretty dang well. It gives you a lot of options, it gives you a lot of moving parts in this big world, and you really can play how you want to play. What monopoly man is likely talking about is that the game makes it no secret that luck is an aspect of the game. I'm ok with luck as a lot of Xia gives you a safe way to play and then asks you to press your luck to do things faster and you can always take out the "get a fame point for rolling a 20" rule. That being said, a couple of things were a little nasty that this expansion pack addresses.

1. You can now buy a mod that mitigates the luck in rolling for how much movement you get out of engines.
2. Piercers help you deal damage even if your opponent rolls well on their shield dice.
3. Biggest change of all, explore tokens no longer can come up as nothing. I hated that explore tokens were always Fame Points, Money, or just a red x saying that you wasted your time. Now any 2 explore tokens can be traded in for money or fame at your choice and what you get out of them directly is just a lot of little bonuses.

You can see how these things would screw you over just from dice rolls, but the expansion really does help a ton.
>>
>>54279512
Yes, expecially patchwork
Nice components with visual appeal
Simple rules yet profound gameplay
You care about the choices od the opponent
Last 30 min max
>>
>>54262256
Yes, but be prepared to spend all your money on the game because youll be hooked.
>>
File: 54672456.jpg (358KB, 1277x900px) Image search: [Google]
54672456.jpg
358KB, 1277x900px
Alright /tg/. Which one? I watched a bunch of videos of both and I really like both but I can't decide which one I should buy. Either would cost me €30.
>>
>>54272731
Dominion is still the only deckbuilder with something resembling strategy and thinking. The rest of them are just variations of "I drew le powerful card and pushed your shit in, ha ha!"
>>
>>54273301
>you need to time it well to win
Oh yeah, god forbid a game requires thought and planning! Of course a game where you randomly have """fun""" by randomly doing mean shit to the opponent is much better! (Not.)
>>
>>54280250
I can vouch for Onitama.
>>
>>54280279
I would say marvel Legendary with expansions far exceeds the monotonous gameplay of Dominion
>>
>>54280279
funny way to spell Valley Of Kings
>>
>>54280342
Dominion is monotonous, but at least it isn't a """game""" about who draws the higher-valued card first.

>>54280374
> Valley Of Kings
Nobody actually played this, so I can't comment.
>>
>>54280290
Are your parents related? I never said that Imperial Settlers is a bad game or that it's not fun.

I love Imperial Settlers to death. There are days where I play it 3-4 times and I never get bored.

It doesn't mean it's a heavy interaction game and I think that the multilayer solitaire moniker works.
>>
>>54280774
It's almost as if I'm trying to say that the quantity or type of interactions doesn't matter, them being meaningful and interesting is! (Unless, like I said, you're using boardgames as some sort of gestalt therapy tool to work through your school bullying issues or something.)
>>
>>54281287
Are you projecting because of something? Do you have problems with yourself? Can you read?

I wasn't making a value judgment about the quantity or type of interactions. I was doing it for the sake of categorization.

First off I said, that I disagree that "multilayer solitaire" is bad.
Then I listed the games that might possibly be considered multi-player solitaire.

Somebody disagreed that Imperial Settlers is multi-player solitaire so I listed the reason why it is - the amount and type of of interactions is small. This is a factual statement.

The rest is you projecting meaning and intent where there's none.
>>
>>54273301
>it would be hard to name such a game
Not hard at all, Karuba and Dimension both have 0 interaction and are you trying to solve the puzzle before others do.
>>
>>54281359
Cool, didn't know about either of them! The discussion started with:
>>54265131
so I should have said multi-player solitaire engine builders and I can't think of one that has literally no interaction.
>>
>>54280279
Core Worlds and Eminent Domain are even better for genuine strategy, but neither are the "chase Dominion" model of deckbuilding.
>>
>>54280513
>Nobody actually played this, so I can't comment.
It is a tragically unknown game, isn't it? I just found out about it when someone gave me a copy for my birthday, and I've been enjoying it a lot.
>>
>>54281473
A strategy game with a little bit of deckbuilding for lulz thrown in isn't really a 'deckbuilder' per se. (Great Western Trail has a deckbuilding mechanic too.)
>>
File: domek-osadnicy.jpg (754KB, 2592x1728px) Image search: [Google]
domek-osadnicy.jpg
754KB, 2592x1728px
Since I'm on the topic of Imperial Settlers I think some of it's mechanics are, well maybe not broken but not as good as they could.

Wonder how a potential Imperial Settlers 2.0 would look like to fix those two issues.

> First hand draw
The rest of your game can be mostly determined by the first round - this is doubly true for the Atlanteans who know how their game is going to be by the amount of production buildings they're starting with in round 2.

The contrast between going into the second round with 1 action building on the table or a production building that you couldn't have built versus 2-3 production buildings is staggering. The Atlanteans in particular can snowball hard when they have 2+ production buildings with gears on them from round 2 - when your opponent doesn't have a raze token to spare it might mean you'll end the game with 200+ VPs.

Personally, I'm playing with the idea of drafting all of your common cards not only two but it might make the Atlanteans even more OP - and playing against them is already more focused on destroying their engines ASAP so they don't get rolling. (This is also the probably the most interactive matchup)

[1/2]
>>
File: pic2115429.jpg (302KB, 801x982px) Image search: [Google]
pic2115429.jpg
302KB, 801x982px
>>54281567
> Wheel spinning in 4th and 5th rounds
The best case scenario is that you control a disabling building (a building that can destroy or take over your opponent's faction building) and you destroyed your opponent's disabling building.

If not as the 1st player you want to build it in the 4th round after your opponent passes. As the 2nd player you have to spin your wheels and not finish the round first otherwise he can build the disabling building unopposed.

And if 1st player has The Royal Pool or Acting Troupe you're proper fucked because he can disable both your building and engine (the disabling buildings cancel each other out).

So... the person who can use do the most amount of busy work in 4th or 5th round without using the resources needed for a combo chain usually wins. Instead of being climatic the last rounds usually boil down to spinning your wheels while your opponent goes out of actions and passes.

Then you build your combo chain and the game isn't even multi-player solitaire it's single player solitaire.

> The problem of expansions/the common deck/deck building

Well not really a problem but it kind of irks me.4

Expansions introduce new colors (white, orange) fucking up the drawing probabilities of the common deck (not to mention playing without Aztecs makes the orange cards useless, same with white-Atlaneans).

The current rules (as of Aztecs) are that you only use vanilla cards for the Common deck... which kind of nerfs Aztecs and Atlanteans.
>>
>>54281375
>multi-player solitaire engine build
Not to pile on you, but I'm pretty sure Jump Drive (which just came out this year) is exactly this.
>>
>>54267307
SPIEL isn't much like a hobby convention. A significant part is publishers demo'ing their best and latest games, with a couple of tournaments (not sure whether these are finals, so you may not be able to enter at short notice, you may need to qualify beforehand).

Another significant part is sales, sales, sales.

I don't think there's much of a chance off the stands of the big publishers to just meet other enthusiasts and play. Well, that's the SPIEL I see and like. And the halls ARE packed on Saturday and Sunday.
>>
>>54281697
Well looks like there's small amount of interaction like in this review:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVRpKlQ57AU
a card that you give to the strongest player
>>
>>54281697
The designer addressed this: https://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/61467/designer-preview-jump-drive

Lemme quote:

> One complaint about Race (and The City) is that they have "low" amounts of player interaction.
> The amount of interaction present in a competitive strategy game isn't just about its form, but whether players can A) judge how well they are doing and B) if they are behind, adjust their play to have a real chance of passing the leader.
> A game that provides direct player attacks which are often too little, too late doesn't have "high" player interaction; this interaction is just noise. By contrast, if attacks do often result in lead changes, then this interaction is real. It's not the form, it's the effect that matters.
> The simplest interaction is "racing" interaction: judging whether an early leader will be able to maintain the pace and, if so, increasing your pace in response (accepting an increased risk that you get exhausted or stumble, etc.).
> In Jump Drive, players have to balance efficiency versus speed. If another player gets off to a good start, then you may have to abandon your "perfect plan" and take some risks by spending more cards to accelerate your empire building and hoping that you draw useful cards.
> This isn't the only player interaction in Jump Drive. Many high-cost developments enable players to score extra points based on one other player's empire (of your choice). If another player has two Alien worlds and you have just one Alien world, then placing Alien Technology Institute may still be worth it.
> Trade Pact is a cheap way (unless you've already built some Military) to both get started and to implicitly make an offer to other players for mutual benefit. War Propaganda is risky: it's a 6-point net swing in VPs per turn if you lose it to another player, but it can gain you a lot of points if you can maintain the Military lead.
>>
>>54281876
> The amount of interaction present in a competitive strategy game isn't just about its form, but whether players can A) judge how well they are doing and B) if they are behind, adjust their play to have a real chance of passing the leader.
> The simplest interaction is "racing" interaction: judging whether an early leader will be able to maintain the pace and, if so, increasing your pace in response (accepting an increased risk that you get exhausted or stumble, etc.).
That's not interaction. Interaction requires that your actions impact the other players. Direct attacks are one way of doing that, but competing over the same scarce resources, blocking each others' moves, and so on are also viable. But varying your play style based on how well someone is doing isn't interaction, because ultimately what the other players are doing doesn't impact you.
>>
>>54281964
>because ultimately what the other players are doing doesn't impact you
Of course it does, it's a race after all. It doesn't matter how fast you go, only that you finish ahead of your opponent. In this case the 'same scarce resource' is time.

Formula One isn't suddenly less competitive just because you can't smash into your opponents Mad Max-style.
>>
>>54280250
>>54280333
I can second Onitama
>>
>>54281993
>Formula One isn't suddenly less competitive just because you can't smash into your opponents Mad Max-style.
>Formula One isn't suddenly less competitive
>competitive

There's your problem. Interaction and competition are NOT the same thing. It's quite possible to have a highly interactive game be kind of competitive at best, or an ultra-competitive game to have minimal interaction, for which Race for the Galaxy and its relatives are fairly straightforward examples.

Competition and Interaction are, at best, weakly correlated
>>
>>54281993
But by that logic every single game is interactive, because every single game has you competing over who gets to win. It's like saying a taco is a sandwich - if you twist the definition enough you might technically be correct, but all you've done is ensure the word no longer communicates the concept it's intended to describe.
>>
>>54281964
Well there's sliiiight interactiont there because all players are on a timer dependent on the best player (and the players that aren't at the lead can take more risky strategies because they have nothing to lose).

That said the interaction is so small I'd say that such a game has no interaction at all.
>>
>>54282059
And there you have it! The Anon you replied to has spent the last 2 or 3 threads cherry picking bits out of context and torturing the logic to try and get it to say what Anon wants rather than communicate the actual meaning of the words.
>>
>>54282121
> "It's the kind of interaction I don't like so it's not interaction at all."
Stop acting like an idiot.

>>54282059
> But by that logic every single game is interactive, because every single game has you competing over who gets to win.
That's kind of true, since I'm not aware of any games that don't have a shared resource players fight over. In the case of racing games this resource is time.

>>54282572
> "I don't understand your logic so you must be dumb".
Go finish your homework already.

Just because you don't like this type of interaction doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
>>
>>54282636
>...That's kind of true...

You are reminding me of the autistic screeching that finally forced everyone to use "Immersion" or "Versimilitude" when discussing RPGs where "Realism" would have sufficed for sane individuals capable of normal communication. So, what dumb fucking term do you want us to use when discussing the measurable level of player-on-player/player-versus-player/player-for-player actions since "interactivity" isn't good enough for you, or do you really not see any difference between racing/engine building and games that feature combat, trade, meaningful blocking, or other mechanics that let you touch the other players, their stuff, or their strategy in a direct rather than indirect manner?
>>
File: IMG_9906.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9906.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Check it out anons, I finally finished my insert for Neuroshima Hex
>>
>>54283232
Sorry about it being sideways, I thought I fixed it :/
>>
>>54281993
>Formula One isn't suddenly less competitive just because you can't smash into your opponents Mad Max-style.
Formula one where cars can't interact with each other would be boring as shit. It would be the equivalent of just measuring lap times with everyone running solo.
>>
>>54283232
Neat design, but.... anon... how many armies do you think there's going to be?
>>
>>54283702
It's how rallying (mostly) works

>>54282636
>> "It's the kind of interaction I don't like so it's not interaction at all."
>Stop acting like an idiot.

There's a proverb about strictly adhering to definitions to the point of absurdity but I can't quite remember it.

Anyway it's not about liking it or not - it's just that you cannot find a board game that has less interaction than that.

Yes there are some sports where you don't know the time of the best player.

Yes you can in theory have a racing board game where there isn't any information only the final scoring but at this point players might as well play at home and compare scores.

So by your definition every board game has interaction which makes the it a useless term or we recognize that are some gradations of interaction and only seeing each other's scores/state might as well be called no interaction (since the category doesn't exist)
>>
>>54283734
Nowhere near that many, but I had nothing else to do with that space
>>
>>54283232
Very nice! I need one of those. Now to find and kidnap Anon and enslave him to make all of my custom board game trays!

>>54283734
>how many armies do you think there's going to be?

You do realize that there are already roughly a dozen, and they're still releasing more, yes?
>>
>>54283880
Thanks anon! As long as you feed me I'll work for you
>>
>>54282636
To bad there butter-cup. You've tried to enforce your myopic view and tortured logic down everyone's throats and no one's buying into your bullshit. But feel free to piss and moan about it. Pic related is all you.

>>54282805
Why worry about what Sir Screams-a-lot wants? He ran out of arguments backed by any reasonable logic last thread. Now he's simply entered the 'poo flinging monkey' stage.
>>
>>54283912
One the plus side, if you work for me I've got a well stocked mini-fridge down stairs, and a decent collection of board games too. ;)
>>
>>54283232
What's the material? Seems like it could use some sort of glossy coating or rounding of edges.
Also if it's painted make sure it doesn't stain.
>>
File: Yeah - Autism.png (59KB, 689x422px) Image search: [Google]
Yeah - Autism.png
59KB, 689x422px
>>54283938
Autism - how does it work?
>>
>>54283956
It's black foamcore
>>
>>54283938
>Why worry about what Sir Screams-a-lot wants?
Because, while you're absolutely right, I've been through this before with "Realism" and it doesn't go away until the 90+% of us who are communicating just fine with each other discover the magic words that finally mean to the minority autists what the words we're using mean to the rest of us, and I'd rather cut to the chase if possible than watch more threads get screeched to 310 because one or two asshats are taking the broadest possible definition of "interaction" rather than one that actually makes sense in context.
>>
>>54282805
>or do you really not see any difference between racing/engine building and games that feature combat, trade, meaningful blocking, or other mechanics that let you touch the other players, their stuff, or their strategy in a direct rather than indirect manner?
Sorry bub, I don't. See above: in 90% of ameritrash the ""direct"" ""interaction"" doesn't amount to shit because it's just using the RNG to tell a story. There are no meaningful decisions to be made in such ""interaction"", it's just combat-shaped noise.

Looks like what you want is a storytelling experience to tickle your lack of testosterone, not a meaningful game mechanic for competition.

Why not just use the word "conflict" then?
>>
>>54284012
Fug it didn't look like foam at all from the photo, I thought it was wood or something
>>
>>54283951
Consider me sold ;)
>>
>>54270930
>>54270793

yucata.de
>>
>>54284118
>All interaction is hostile
Go back to Catan you clearly didn't learn enough the first time.

And I said absolutely 0 about Random elements or any specific game, much less anything ameritrash. You are projecting so hard right now it passed 'not even funny' and wrapped back around to hilarious.
>>
Board games are so fucking dull why do you lot like them?

The themes are meaningless, there's no immersion or imagination, the goals are pointless and they're basically singleplayer games where you have to wait ages between turns.
>>
>>54284375
Your replies are incoherent, it looks like you can't keep more than 2.5 posts in your head at the same time.

Let me put it this way: it's another argument between the Eurogame master race and the Ameritrash mental midget morlocks.

For the Ameritrash fans anything that goes with a pew-pew-hack-and-slash theme is automatically teh awesomest, bestest player interaction, even if the underlying game mechanic is as dumb as rolling a die to see who gets a bigger number. Whether this is due to them lacking father figures when growing up, or due to overdosing on TV and comic books, or simply because of the anti-intellectual climate in the USA I don't know and don't really care.

All I know is that these dudes wouldn't know player interaction if it crawled up their ass and gave them AIDS.

Race for the Galaxy has some of the most interesting metagame interaction shennanigans in the history of boardgaming, and you sad sacks complain about 'multiplayer solitaire' while upholding Advanced Tic-Tac-Toe as the pinnacle of player interaction. (Yeah, I'm looking at you, Eric Lang.)
>>
File: lqbait.jpg (5KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
lqbait.jpg
5KB, 225x225px
>>54284391
OK, some tips for next time.

First, board games, while having a unified general, are a lot more diverse than most other generals (Paizo, EDH, 40k, etc.) so when you just insert the whole topic we know you're just trying to stir shit and aren't doing a good job at it. If you're going to troll /bgg/ you should probably pick a specific game, either something that seems really beloved or at least looks like it's the flavor of the month. You can probably use boardgamegeek to find a target, Gloomhaven would be a pretty solid pick right now.

Then, keep your bitching focused, at least a little. Right now you're scattershot with a mess of gripes people level at DIFFERENT specific games, so pick a topic or two to shit on with your 'criticism' (whether it's true or accurate or not, doesn't matter) so it looks like you at least vaguely know your stuff. You'll get a couple (you)s with your current "flagrant idiot" route but they'll mostly be pity, bait reaction images, or the one autist who responds to every "attack" at anything no matter how vague or flimsy.

Best of luck, maybe you'll do better than D- work next time.
>>
File: fedora-2.jpg (25KB, 480x600px) Image search: [Google]
fedora-2.jpg
25KB, 480x600px
>>54284481
> Glorius Eurogaming master race
> Other gamers are mental migets
> Qualified psychologist over here
> Athetist+
>>
File: bgg wars.png (1MB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
bgg wars.png
1MB, 800x800px
It's times like today, that I remember the argument is moot. We already know what the best Euro/Ameritrash/deckbuilding/roll and move/negotiation/area control/wargame/plastic pusher/co-operative/with traitors game is
>>
>>54284481
>He thinks he's been arguing with just one person.
>He's still talking about die rolls and exclusive combat when literally no one else is.

If everyone who enjoyed Race was like you, I'd burn my copy this instant. Luckily, they're not, and it's one of the most played games on my shelf thanks to its quick playtime and low interaction, the latter contributing to fairly little decision paralysis. I like it, and it turns that trait to an advantage. But I'm not going to turn into a selfrighteous faggot and claim that you couldn't have 90% of the same game with GM screens in front of everybody's tableau: it's only a few steps (mostly phase selection) above "Multiplayer solitaire" and you know it even if you refuse to admit it. I don't think it's "The cancer killing board games" like the asshole in >>54265131 but it is real.

So, sometimes, I'll want something else out of a game -- a Champions of Midgard or Agricola where your moves push everyone else's, even an Inis or TI3 where 'conflict' may well be the appropiate term

Because the real mental midgits are the ones who can only see two categories of game and gamer, not a spectrum of ways to have fun
>>
>>54284712
>>He's still talking about die rolls and exclusive combat when literally no one else is.
I never complained about dice (per se), I complained about moronic "interaction" that does nothing interesting and has no meaningful decisions.

>you couldn't have 90% of the same game with GM screens in front of everybody's tableau
No, you couldn't. Well, maybe you could if it's babby's first game of Race and your brain is fried by playing too much ameritrash, but in reality not looking at your opponent's tableau is the easiest way to lose.

>it's only a few steps (mostly phase selection) above "Multiplayer solitaire"
Well, considering that 90% of the game is in phase selection, those are some bigass steps you have there.

>If everyone who enjoyed Race was like you, I'd burn my copy this instant.
Please do, people this dumb shouldn't be playing this game.
>>
A question for anyone who has Lords of Waterdeep and the Scoundrels of Skullport expansion:

How do you pick what intrigues, quests and buildings to leave out of the game when playing with both modules?

I have chosen buildings based on a average cost but I'm conflicted by the intrigue cards and quests. I want at least one of each intrigue card, so the question is more about what cards should get duplicates?

For quests, I have 2 set-ups currently: First is based on making sure every quest type has roughly the same amount of point rewards across them.

The second is an attempt to make them 'lore-friendly' in game. Quests that occur in Waterdeep, quests that include certain noble families and the Lords and quests that seem to have a 'plot' to them across the game and expansions (Examples could be the quests Recruit for Blackstaff Academy and Recruit Academy Cast-offs.)

I'm looking for inputs on more possibilites on this.
>>
File: Stop liking what I don't like.jpg (123KB, 387x417px) Image search: [Google]
Stop liking what I don't like.jpg
123KB, 387x417px
>>54285489
> WWWWAAAAAAHHHHHH!
> Stop liking what I don't like!

Isn't there a small circle of imaginary friends you could be whining to right now? Or did they get sick of your bullshit too?
>>
>>54285489
>I complained about moronic "interaction" that does nothing interesting and has no meaningful decisions.
Which is a strawman assembled by yourself, describing nothing beyond your categorical delusions of a black-and-white world.

>Well, considering that 90% of the game is in phase selection, those are some bigass steps you have there.
Once you're committed to a gameplan (which can be faster or slower depending on your draws) your moves are fairly self-guiding. You can pick up some points by piggybacking optimally, of course, but most winning plays I've seen were those that better leveraged their OWN assets first, and phase-prediction a very distant second.
>>
File: IMG_5057.jpg (67KB, 540x497px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5057.jpg
67KB, 540x497px
IS this the cancerous theme killing moder board games lately?
>>
>>54286085
Which one of the My Little Ponies is that?
>>
>>54286085
I'd say zombies is the worst, but C'thulhu comes a close second
>>
>>54286085
Lovecraft is overplayed and misused these days but of the overplayed themes in board games right now I think cthulhu games still hit a higher average quality than zombie games and steampunk games.
>>
>>54285882
>your moves are fairly self-guiding
Indeed. The engine-building aspect is immediately obvious and there are no real interesting decisions to be made in choosing how to engine-build. The real decisions and the real strategy lies in judging how much you can leech from your opponent, how far you can go in blocking your opponent from leeching and in the highly precise timing of your turns.

>>54285612
No, I'm actually complaining about the toxic American anti-intellectual climate that you all are so bent on spreading to the rest of the world.

(Look at the crass class clown attitude that Feynmann, one of the smartest men ever born in America, had to adopt just to fit in. On the flip side, this toxic climate doesn't actually seem to stop America from actually producing smart people. I guess this puts to rest the bullshit theory of 'microaggressions'.)
>>
>>54272731
Ascension is far better than Star Realms, end of story

Dominion is more of its own thing that I'm not about to draw direct comparisons but it's the best available deckbuilder for static card piles, and my favorite deckbuilder
>>
>>54286996
>>54272731
that said, Tyrants of the Underdark is the best in the "rotating supply" deckbuilders
>>
>>54286996
>Dominion
>it's the best available deckbuilder for static card pile

Have you played Tanto Cuore? If you can get past it being the 'pervy maid game' I think it actually improves on Dominion's gameplay with the Chamber mechanic, Illnesses, and Private Maids, at least core-to-core. Dominion may have stronger expansions, though, I haven't played either expanded very much.
>>
>>54286996
Ascension and Star Realms both fall into the "luck as balance" school of Deckbuilders design. All that matters is grabbing a lucky supercard, then proceeding to stomp the rest of the game.

To the extent one is better than the other, I'd favor Star Realms over Ascension. At least Star Realms doesn't have shit like "get every single available card for free."
>>
File: wierded out.gif (377KB, 200x183px) Image search: [Google]
wierded out.gif
377KB, 200x183px
>All this talk about deckbuilders
>Not one mention of Core Worlds or Thunderstone Advance
>Core worlds does randomized supply while still begin an incredibly tight game where you won't get mega fucked by bad trade rows
>Thunderstone does set supply in an excellent fashion while have a slightly randomized dungeon, allows for stronger combo building

>Inb4 autistic screeching about beign shit without explaination of opinion
>>
>>54286350
>No, I'm actually complaining about the toxic American anti-intellectual climate

That's highly entertaining from someone who keeps shouting 'meaningful decisions' without defining what that term actually constitutes in relation to board gaming. By leaving the term you're using in the 'realm of the subjective' '/ totally ambiguous, you handily *AVOID* having to choose an actual position and have to defend it. But *EVERYONE ELSE* is "anti-intellectual". And I can see why you would avoid specifics. You tried that last thread and got shot down over it repeatedly.
>>
>>54287376
I suggested Core Worlds much earlier in the thread. I love that one. And I'll gladly take Thunderstone over Dominion any day.
>>
>>54287428
I see, sorry I missed it.

As for other deckbuilders I love that haven't gotten much attention in this thread:

I really enjoy Xenoshyft though with how much the group has played it, we're getting so good it's not very much of a challenge anymore. Going to try upping the 'difficulty' for our next few plays to see if that spices things up.

Trains has a cool link between straight deckbuilding/comboing and route building and it all works together in a pretty slick way. I don't get this one to the table often enough due to the group not being as interested in the theme over stuff like Xenoshyft and Thunderstone.

Runner ups:
Warmachine/Hordes High Command has some good elements with unique buy decks you pre-construct and how fighting over territory works in combination with special abilities and cards (plus I'm into the miniatures game). However, actually clashing with people over locations is almost punishing due to the costs of putting units out instead of buying new ones, and if you get a few deployed units knocked out and lose control of a location, you could end up way behind the guy who's just buying up all the cards in his deck that have straight up points on them.

Legendary has TONS of content. But my main problem with it is that the gameplay itself ends up feeling kind of bland and almost a little abstract. These points buy more cards, those points fight (which is essentially buying the card into a points stack) and unless you build the hero decks specifically to have combos, you might only get a few sets of cards that work together well. Themeing on card abilities is usually pretty good, but what YOU yourself do is kinda outside the actual game. Fun, but kinda feels 'empty' after a while.
>>
>>54286996
Why do you claim Ascension is better than Star Realms? What makes it better?
>>
>>54286085
It's overused and always done wrong but I'll take your average faggot publisher who goes "we can have an established and popular setting for freeeee?!!!" over zombies any day.
>>
>>54284605
What is?
>>
>>54288270
I wonder what are some other underused free settings.
>>
>>54288493
Barsoom is in the public domain and IMO criminally poorly represented. Retro scifi/planetary romance may have trouble playing to a mass audience, but if there's any sphere in which you can make a good return on a niche audience, it's boardgames. And fuck, you've got a world of constant competition over scarce resources with color coded factions (assuming you don't double up on the red or green martians, who have multiple groups), how does this shit not get designed?
>>
>>54288270
I hope you are happy! Every time you vote for Lovecraft and CoC over Zombies, God kills a Ninja!

Won't someone please think of the Ninjas?!?
>>
>>54287376
See >>54281473. Core Worlds is my favorite deckbuilder, or strategy game with deckbuilding elements, if you'd prefer.

The one problem is that I rarely get to play it, because most of the people I play with either have attention spans that cap at an hour or think two hours is too short for a game.
>>
>>54287018
Agreed. Tyrants doesn't get enough love.
>>
>>54288673
>trouble playing to a mass audience
This is the cancer that's killing both board games and video games.

There is no perfect pasta sauce. Only perfect pasta sauces.

Not everything has to be homogeneous and appeal to EVERYONE.
>>
What games are next in line to become historical domain?
>>
Are there any games where you'd say they are really great and wonderfully designed, but suffer from imbalance?
>>
Those of you with Neuroshima Hex, each expansion comes with extra damage and net tokens, did you keep all of those or start tossing them out eventually?
>>
>>54289403
Terra Mystica?
>>
>>54289118

Go back to bed Jim Sterling, you need to get better.
>>
>>54289837
I was expecting that, but it's still a valid criticism of what's happening with a lot of the big companies.
>>
>>54289854

Oh yeah, I totally agree, I just saw your post and thought I'd go memeing for moment.

I like when a publisher goes for a limited audience theme once in a while, I have no interest in playing either "Pret a porter" or "and then we held hands", but I find myself intrigued by them just because of the themes.
>>
File: a feast for odin.jpg (214KB, 731x1024px) Image search: [Google]
a feast for odin.jpg
214KB, 731x1024px
I played this one. My brain is melt. What did I think?
>>
>>54290386
Tetris.
>>
>>54288281
Board Games General
>>
>>54289403
That Aztec clock game
>>
>>54280279
Are all Domion fags this retarded? Do they just never play other games?
>>
>>54289403
Scythe. All the factions are playable, but Crimea and the Russviets clearly have an advantage.
>>
>>54285581
There's a couple threads over on BGG that discuss this, check there for some ideas. Personally I just removed all doubles for a start and then the buildings / intrigue cards I felt were shit.
>>
>>54292150
I mean, that's how most deckbuilders work. High-cost cards are often immensely better than low-cost ones, but they come out randomly, which means whoever lucks into an early high cost card goes on to dominate, while anyone who misses them will lag. Compare that to Dominion, where everyone has access to the tableau, and missing that card by one just means you have to try again next round.

It's not all of them, but it's enough of them that it's easy to just give up on trying new ones.
>>
>>54292406
VAlley of Kings uses strata to mostly eliminate this tendency
It also lets you trash one card per turn
>>
Years ago I bought TI3 and the first expansion for a good price because it'd been in my sights for a while. Coming up this year my wife and I always go with some friends to the Ohio Renaissance Festival, and this year THEY'RE bringing two friends, so we'll be six strong. We always rent a cabin and stay for a couple nights, so I figured that this would be the perfect time for a game. I jumped on Amazon to order the second expansion and it turns out it's OOP. $250 at a minimum. Son of a bitch.
>>
>>54292406
>It's not all of them, but it's enough of them that it's easy to just give up on trying new ones.
It's laziness of not looking at if a deckbuilder is trade row, or open market.
>>
>>54285581
>>54292395
> I just removed all doubles for a start and then the buildings / intrigue cards I felt were shit.

Same.

I threw out all the "+2 VP when you complete X type quest" plot quest since they're pretty boring. Then I'd prefer quests that give you multiple types of resources instead of just VP since it lets you do more interesting plays.

Waterdeep's a RNG fest anyway. I wouldn't worry too much about balance.

>>54292451
>buying games off Amazon
>>
>>54292539
>buying games off Amazon
It's not always awful, but you do have to expect at least one dent in the box on every game you order. Blame ANA for fucking over OGS and making Amazon the cheapest place around now
>>
>>54286085
It's not too cancerous. It does get slapped on in a surface-level way to mediocre games, but it can be interesting and shows how important it is we limit copyright time periods so new products can be generated.

What's the last time a good zombie game came out with a unique take on them?
>>
>>54285581
Would it be enjoyable to focus first on eliminating quests that aren't Plot Quests? Is there any rule for that or do they leave it completely up to you?
>>
>>54292455
I get how trade row works but how does an open market work in deck builders?
>>
>>54286085
Cthulhu's a symptom, not a cause. You notice that good games don't get slapped with a Cthulhu theme.
>>
>>54292637
Dominion, Trains, Puzzle Strike, etc; all the cards available to buy throughout the course of the game are in full view and available to buy from the first turn.
>>
>>54292631
The designers provides no advice or suggestions as to what should be removed and what shouldn't.
>>
>>54292539
It's sold out everywhere locally and online.
>>
>>54292643
Tides of Madness
>>
>>54292726
The second expac doesn't add much abyway
>>
>>54287087
I have, though only one of the standalone expansions (Oktoberfest). I don't think the Love cards are better at all, 4 and 7 for 2 and 3 love just doesn't jive with us. The cards that came with the set don't really combo at all, and there are some very half-baked ideas in there. It's also incredibly slow to play out, there's really no sense of engine building, at least in the set I've played

My friend regrets the purchase
>>
next thread
>>54293823
>>54293823
>>
>>54289121
>What games are next in line to become historical domain?
None of them. Disney successfully lobbied to extend copyright to eternity.
>>
>>54292406
>Compare that to Dominion, where everyone has access to the tableau, and missing that card by one just means you have to try again next round.
It's not even that. In Dominion none of the cards are obviously better, not even the high-cost ones. In Dominion you need to engine-build and chain long combos if you want to benefit from high-cost cards.
>>
>>54289954
I have a copy of and then we held hands.
It really shines if you play with the no-talking rules.
Would recommend
Thread posts: 324
Thread images: 39

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.