[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ Fifth Edition General:

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 347
Thread images: 39

File: Hekaton.jpg (13KB, 150x182px) Image search: [Google]
Hekaton.jpg
13KB, 150x182px
>Unearthed Arcana: Revised Class Options:
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/June5UA_RevisedClassOptv1.pdf

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
https://mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread:
>>54222039

"Stop letting threads die" edition
>>
Ha, dead
>>
>>54231042
>"Stop letting threads die" edition

Bitch, I made the last 5 threads. Give me a break.
>>
>>54230693
I don't know, but some people do fill it up. I have seen the description spam. I do not, but I don't have a very visual imagination.
>>
>>54231042
Not really a D&D related question,I'll ask it nonetheless. Is asking for money for gaming sessions an asshole move? I'm a forever DM and play regularly with some friends and friends of those friends. We always play at my place since I have enough space and a "gaming table". At some point I simply asked for a little compensation since I always provide my room, there is always enough beer and liquor available and I'm the one who has to spend his spar time preparing adventures.

It really isn't about the money, but about proving a point. My party consists of 8 players. Two of them never bring anything. No snacks, no drinks no food. One player simply has no time. He and the other six agreed to put some money together each game night. The eighth one called me greedy and stated that I should work if I want money. Which I obviously do. It's not like i would go to work for 80 euros in what is easily a 10-12 hour shift. I do it for the fun. This player is employed as an engineer at a large german car manufacturer. Therefore, it can't be about the money.

I'm just a bit shocked by his reaction. I thought my request was more than reasonable. Especially because even with this money i would spent some money each night. It's not like it would be enough to cover the costs.
>>
>>54231042
Ok guys, I need an idea for character that is a DMs nightmare.

Backstory is, that a player of my group always critizes what I do as DM and always accuses me of railroading. He does that, because I, obvioulsy, prepare an adventure for each session. Within this adventure the players are pretty much free to do as they want to. All other players like my DMing, even though I know I'm nowhere near being a great DM. That player always tries to go against plot hooks. Let's say the party sees something falling from the sky, crashing into a nearby forest, he always will chose not to investigate and do something completly else. The rest of the group always disagrees. One time we agreed, that we'll do what he wants (I had the hope, that he would shut up afterwards). So I improvised a complete session. He was mad because I haven't had any battle plans for this session. Obviously, we already decided to kick him. However, we didn't tell him yet and forced him to DM his own session. And since I like the taste of revenge I want to fuck him up game wise.
>>
File: 1482344723086.jpg (2MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
1482344723086.jpg
2MB, 2560x1440px
Today during d&d I got into a debate with one of my buddies on the way home about the practicality of boob-plates. He seems to believe that they would be more comfortable and needed for women's armor but I tent to lean that a female warrior could and would just wear normal set of plate just fine.
This isn't really a d&d question but with no women that we know we could ask I bring this to you, d&d thread, what do you think?
>>
>>54231681
Some AL groups all chip in a dollar a week so that the DMs can buy the new supplements and give us fancy certificates for any magic items we earn so it's not entirely unreasonable.

Don't let them drink your booze. If that player wants to drink, he should bring his own
>>
>>54231808
Boob plate curves strikes directly toward the center of your chest where all your important bits are. It is also apparently not considerably more comfortable unless you have very large breasts.

It is by most accounts practically inferior to a more normally shaped chestplate in every way. Including looks.
>>
>>54231858
Having said that, though, I'm not sure that the pic in >>54231808's post is really "boob plate" as we tend to use the term. It seems to jut out a big around the boob area, yes, but I don't see a discernible dip between the boobs.
>>
>>54231808
http://www.tor.com/2013/05/06/boob-plate-armor-would-kill-you/
>>
>>54231883
We play tonned down fantasy so that would be as close to a boob plate as you would see in our settings that would be used practically. It would just be a pain to make is all.
>>
File: 1465677996563.jpg (366KB, 744x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1465677996563.jpg
366KB, 744x1000px
I want to change Iymrith in Storm King's Thundder from a blue dragon to an Empyrean, /5eg/. The reason being that Iymrith's ultimate motivation for everything she's doing as it stands - "I want to add the Wyrmskull Throne to my horde" - seems a little weak, and also that my group is a bit dragon'd out after running through HotDQ/RoT.

I want to change things so that Iymrith is instead a daughter of Annam from eons ago who helped Annam establish the Ordning in the first place - but with the desire of setting herself and her own get of giants, the ash giants, on top. Annam rejected the ash giants' position about the storm giants, though, placing ash giants beneath them. In a huff over this, Iymrith and her ash giants left the Ordning and Ostoria altogether, settling in southern lands. They helped Netheril when it rose millennia later, but most ash giants were wiped out when Netheril fell (and the ones that weren't became death giants with no particular loyalty to Iymrith). Iymrith blames Annam for this, and so has used Annam's sundering of the Ordning to worm her way into Hekaton's court with the intent of taking over the Ordning as she tried to do centuries ago.

Funnily enough the CR of an Empyrean and an ancient blue dragon are the same, although from looking it over the Empyrean seems a bit more squishy.

Anyway, thoughts on this?
>>
File: 20160106083418.gif (7MB, 499x374px) Image search: [Google]
20160106083418.gif
7MB, 499x374px
what are command words?

or is that from an old edition?
>>
>>54231799

My idea for you is to give up your hate and carry on with the game you enjoy.

Kick a player who needs to be kicked, but do not dwell on it.
>>
>>54231819
Six of them are really close friends. So they can drink and eat whatever they want. I usually cook for them as well. With those six I meet regularly, everyone invites everyone from time to time. As I said, I don't really care for the money. I earn good money and my wife an I won't ever have kids, therefore I'm free and willing to spend it. And I like being a good host. We had two students who played with us for two years. They were always broke, and of course I didn't even asked for anything.
>>
>>54232326
It's no big deal to ask for a little bit of money, especially if you put that money into DnD stuff. I personally have never asked, but all the books, playmat and minis are super expensive. So when my buddy who is forever a DM asked for help buying Curse of Strahd, I just bought him the book.
>>
>>54231681
> Is asking for money for gaming sessions an asshole move?
I don't think so, but i can see how bringing money into relationship that was fueled purely by the power of friendship could make people uncomfortable.

How would you feel if your mum would ask for money for the dinner she made? Her making dinner is taken for granted. (As it is taken for granted that you will take care of her when she's old.)

I feel that bringing money to friendship ruins certain... safety and certainty i receive from it, that is important to me. If i pay my friends and i am unable to pay, will they stop being my friends? Is friendship paid for? I can rationally see how it's not the case, but it _feels_ wrong.

That said i believe you are entitled to something in return. I usually try to repay my GMs by bringing snack, cola and paying for their pizza - exactly because bringing money directly to a table is... weird.
>>
>>54232027
PHB, p. 223
>>
>>54232571
>>54232376
Thanks for the advice. Problem is, this one guy isn't essentially a friend of me. He is a friend of a friend and overall an okay guy and more importantly a very good player. I simply was a bit upset that he never contributes to any effort. The suggestion was actually to either pay a bit or bring something on your own. Obviously that led to everyone bringing something AND paying the money. I think I'll stick to it nonetheless and invest the money in game related stuff I wouldn't have bought otherwisely. There is a guy in my town who builds models of dungeons and castles, I'll probably let him build my parties head quarter
>>
Is sunbeam a good spell? My druid is about to hit level 11 and I need a good spell
>>
>>54232082

This.
>>
>>54231808

Size and shape may well matter as far as the angle of the front plate but individual cups are almost always a bad idea. The rare exception I've seen is a 3/4 cupped design that had the sternum area excised, intended to be coupled with a double-thick shirt. The re-enactor it was designed for was extraordinarily large enough in the chest that she actually required that much support to be able to physically perform the needed movements. That's about what it would take.
>>
>>54232023

Sounds fun. It would also be a good way to go if you were using SKT and someone at the table had already played it to te end once before.
>>
I played pathfinder for the first time a week ago. Im surprised at the whole spells per day thing. I expected to be stronger. Only 5 spells per day is bullshit. No way this shit can compete with what todays generation is used too. Wow and diablo etc. Also spells need components and words is so old school. Maybe some should...my suggestion...make the game harder. And easier to understand.
>>
>>54232967
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>54232713
It's pretty good. 6d8 radiant in a line with possibility to blind, and you can do it 10 times provided you don't drop concentration.

>>54232984
You can't expect much from pathfags, like posting in the right general.
>>
>>54233063
It penetrates, right,
>>
>>54233107
>A beam of brilliant light flashes out from your hand in a 5-foot-wide, 60-foot-long line. Each creature in the line must make a constitution saving throw.
Yes.
>>
>>54233153
Excellent!
>>
How bad would a high wisdom variant human fighter with magic initiate druid who fights using magic stone be and what spell would you take?
>>
I mean I guess it could work?

Create or Destroy Water with the Shape Water cantrip is a decent combo for Magic Initiate-Druid, though if you're going WIS fighter Shillelagh seems like the obvious choice.
>>
File: screwtheforest.png (28KB, 391x348px) Image search: [Google]
screwtheforest.png
28KB, 391x348px
>>54233439
So basically you're sacrificing every other turn to pick up rocks?
>>
>>54233439
It would be worse than either a regular druid or a regular fighter, but maybe you don't care. The best first-level druid spells are Healing Word, Goodberry, and Faerie Fire.
>>
>>54233514
It's a bonus action to cast Magic Stone, it affects three rocks at a time, and you can just have a pocketful of rocks.
>>
>>54233536
Or a Bag of Ball Bearings (x1000), or a Bag of Sling Rocks (20)
>>
>>54233439
It'd be pretty bad. Even if you applied Archery FS to it, there would be absolutely no advantage over using a shortbow, nevermind a better weapon like a longbow.

It's just consuming your bonus action and making your MAD for no tangible purpose.
>>
>>54233556
Ball bearings are an abomination against nature.
>>
Panic. Where do I find stats for a young adult gold dragon? I can only find young or adult.
>>
>>54233758
Young adults do not exist.
>>
>>54231808
You're rolling with the wizards and shit. Who cares?
>>
>>54233787
Well. That's inconvenient.

Is their a construct or undead template around?
>>
>>54233758
>>54233787
In 3.5 they sure do. Just adjust the stats fuckers.
http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Gold_Dragon
>>
>>54233845
I'll be honest; How do I do that? I haven't imported too much yet. Just multiply base stats by 2/3rds and reduce damage to something in between Young and ADult?
>>
>>54233829
Nigga, where do you think you are, 3.5? Template stacking is so 2004.
>>
>>54233979
Could be. I just want a reference of traits/immunities undead or constructs should have. What's the superior 5e master race procedure for that?
>>
>>54233870
Just take a young dragon and buff the stats.
>>
>>54234009
Look at the stats for undead and see what they have in common.
>>
>>54233870
A much better idea would be to use the Average Monster Stats by CR table in the 5e DMG, pick a CR, and add dragon abilities that do roughly the right amount of average damage per round. (Breath weapons should do more because they don't go off every round and they should be scary."
>>
>>54234009
Much less than in previous editions. Undead are usually immune to necrotic, anything mindless is immune to psychic and being charmed or frightened, and absolutely everything is immune to poison and being poisoned.
>>
So I don't actually speak any German, but would you say German is a good example for what Common should sound like? The way you can just cram two words together to make one seems rather good for the "common" tongue, plus German names for people/cities are usually pretty good for fantasy Humans
>>
Is there any spell that will allow me to endure extreme heat or cold?
>>
>>54234124
Common sounds like whatever language you're using at the table. You didn't pick up on that?
>>
File: jason3.jpg (71KB, 540x803px) Image search: [Google]
jason3.jpg
71KB, 540x803px
so because the rest of my group is out of commission for a while, my friend and I would like to do a one-man slam-jam session, with me as the DM and them as the solitary player. I'm not a dumbass so naturally I'll give them at least one companion, probably a literally mute martial.

Any ideas for a good one-shot that would be fun for just one person to play? It doesn't have to be level one, either, but 8-10 is probably the highest I'd want it to be.

And for what it's worth, I'm fairly sure they'll be playing as a druid.
>>
>>54234126
Investiture of flame/ice from eepc
>>
>>54234126
Fire Shield
>>
>>54234182
Yes but because "muh autism" I'm going to be basing all the languages off real-world ones (Or sufficiently advanced fictional ones like Tolkien's Elf language) if only because it makes worldbuilding easier, ie: human or races that speak mainly common have German themed names, Dwarves have, I dunno, Russian themed ones, Gnomes can be Scandinavian, etc.
>>
>>54231896
Well that site seems a tad biased.
>>
>>54234294
I literally discussed this like three threads and two days ago.

- Abyssal: Tolkienesque Black Speech
- Aquan: Hawaiian
- Auran: Basque
- Celestial: Hebrew
- Common: English
- Draconic: Sumarian
- Druidic: Irish Gaelic
- Dwarven: Icelandic
- Elven : Sindarin
- Genie: Arabic
- Giant : German
- Goblin: Spanish (Goblin/Bugbear - Mexican; Hobgoblin - Castillian/Old World)
- Gnoll: [dog barking sounds]
- Gnome: Dutch
- Halfling: Esperanto
- Ignan: Japanese
- Infernal: Latin
- Orc: Klingon
- Sphinx: Ancient Egyptian
- Sylvan: Welsh
- Terran: Greek
- Undercommon: Cthulhu-esque speech
>>
A deal in the Feywild is sacred, it's practically enforced by the plane itself.
What if a deal is made in the Feywild, but it's broken in some other plane?
>>
Would giving a death cleric potent spellcasting instead of divine strike be too strong with Reaper? Should I just allow it but restrict it to one target?
>>
>>54234415
It means you should avoid faeries. But then, that's just generally good life advice anyway.
>>
Natural weapons normally can't be used as off-hand weapons, right? You have to pick between using claws or a sword?
>>
>>54234126
Endure Elements
>>
>>54234430
Let's assume it's a bit late for that.
>>
>>54234469
I find that prayer generally gives a sense of hope, whether or not you actually have one.
>>
>>54234294
Common is actually characterized as very similar to English: warped by centuries of conquest and full of loan words from all over the place, making it impossible to spell anything.
>>
>>54234383
Draconic has been Basque and Infernal Greek in my game.
>>
File: 1499534092357.gif (988KB, 500x267px) Image search: [Google]
1499534092357.gif
988KB, 500x267px
>had to put campaign on hiatus because of technical issues and real life
>tfw players will most likely have forgotten everything three times over by the time we have sessions again which should only be in two weeks from now
Should I start out by giving them a session set far in the past to remind them of the awakened big evil they're supposed to defeat, a small side story set in a village or town featuring activity from the big evil's cult or just tell them to read the recap and bring their character sheet to continue where we left last time?
>>
>>54234433
You can't use an unarmed or natural attack as a bonus action unless an ability says you can, such as a monk's Martian Arts.
>>
>>54234562
Draconic is Latin, though.
>>
>>54234383
Undercommon should be AAVE
>>
>>54234554
So if you want Common to be different and have a particular feel, you could use Middle English. Old English would not be loanword-y enough.

If some sort of foreign power has recently been ruling the majority of humans in your setting, make them French.
>>
>>54234433
I guess that's how it goes. Although I see no problem with having a knife in your off-hand and "dual-wielding" that way. Seems logical, as does using just your claws when you have the neccessary feat for doing so.
>>
>>54234578
Why don't you reframe and sum up what's going on at the beginning of each session. I do it every game.
>>
>>54234651
I usually do that but for this campaign my players wanted written recaps of every session posted to facebook instead
>>
>>54234646
>Whan that Aprill, with his shoures soote
>The droghte of March hath perced to the roote
>And bathed every veyne in swich licour,
>Of which vertu engendred is the flour;
Translating to Middle English seems more trouble than it's worth
>>
Anyone here played the .hack IMOQ series? I started wondering last night about how you'd try and replicate the basic design of the Twin Blade class in 5e (i.e. dual wield, agile, relies on flurries of weak attacks do damage). Rogue was my first thought but they don't really have the ability to shit out a bunch of attacks in one go like a fighter or monk.
>>
>>54234635
>>54234383
It's true that Undercommon should not be sinister Lovecraftian slurping. You're thinking of the Deep Speech, the language used by actual Lovecraftian horros in D&D. Undercommon is the retarded grandpa of Common used by underground humanoids.
>>
>>54234804
Got it, it's cockney.
>>
>>54234726
Harder than fucking German? Clearly Anon wants to do some work.
>>
File: jasonbreak2.gif (2MB, 320x321px) Image search: [Google]
jasonbreak2.gif
2MB, 320x321px
>>54234190
>>54234190
>>54234190

help me, /5eg/, you're my only hope
>>
>>54234861
Google Translate can do a good enough job. Good luck finding an equivalent translator from Modern to Middle English.
>>
File: Super-X.jpg (117KB, 1280x733px) Image search: [Google]
Super-X.jpg
117KB, 1280x733px
>>54234874
You could use your own pictures as inspiration.
Perhaps there's a powerful creature/being that is terrorizing a small town, and your player is being hunted by them/hunting it down.
It's crafty and will blend in with the populace to hide among them in plain sight, and your player needs to use their cunning and wit to draw them out into the open where they will hopefully have a hectic chase that spans across the entire town, in most buildings, until it is chased to the highest tower, where the final confrontation is had as the townsfolk observe from below.
>>
>>54234726
For reference that first line is pronounced "hwahn ðaht AHprill, wið hees SHOO-rez ZOHT-uh"
>>
>>54234963
So middle English is Indrick Boreale. Got it.
>>
Anybody have that homebrew of the cardmaster lying around in their homebrew folder? The one that draws from a deck and casts spells based on what his "hand" contains?

>>54234963
That Great Vowel Shift really shook things up, didn't it?
>>
>>54234190
The Tournament at Scornubel? Limited danger of death, just a series of games and a mystery.
>>
>>54234996
Surprisingly, pretty much yeah.
>>
Should I be a moon druid even if I want to be a spellcaster above all else? I feel like land doesn't offer much of real value compared to onion HP, even if I don't plan to fight in wild shape.
>>
>>54235103
A feature has no value if you never use it. Take land or co sider one of the UA circles like Twilight or Shepherd
>>
>>54231042
I will never understand why wizards get the recover spells without a long rest and not sorcerers
>>
>>54235157
Because the company is not called Sorcerers of the Coast.
>>
>>54235157
Sorcerers can convert sorcery points to spell slots. In theory it amounts to the same number of total spells.
>>
Paladin 13/Warlock 7 or Paladin 11/Warlock 9?

This mainly boils down to 4th level paladin spell slot vs 5th level warlock spell, but I'm not sure which would work out better
>>
>>54235169
except that using those sorcery points on metamagic is the main way that sorcerer keeps pace with wizard already, who has the same number of slots, more spells at any given time and a bigger list to draw them from.
>>
File: smug ryder.gif (1MB, 261x253px) Image search: [Google]
smug ryder.gif
1MB, 261x253px
>>54235183
>20 level builds
>>
>>54235205
Look, you wanted to hear the rationale and I'm telling you. You don't have to like it, but what the fuck do you want from us?
>>
>>54235123
Tons of free HP and eventually flight on demand has value no matter who you are. Nothing land druids get compares even if you never fight as an animal ever.
>>
>>54235206
I can reach the end of one of these classes way before I hit level 20, if I only go about halfway in one and then focus on maxing the other.
>>
>>54235253
You can still turn into a flying animal at the same level no matter what circle you take. And you can turn into a near-unnoticeable crawling insect and make the rogue obsolete much earlier than that.
>>
>>54235157
Because wizard is the only int caster in core while there's fucking 3 and a half CHA casters, because of how spell slots work with mutliclassing it would be way too stupid if you could be SAD and get back spells from any list
>>
>>54235253
All druids get flight on demand. Wild shape isn't exclusive to moon
>>
>New group
>DM makes us roll stats
>Also makes us roll background + background bonds, flaws etc
>because it's 'fun'
Guess I'm looking for a new group
>>
So, I was thinking of making a Half-Elf Bladesinger. Is the class pretty ass or does it pass?
>>
>>54235421
I'm fine with rolling stats as long as you are allowed to distribute the six values to the six abilites.

Rolling the background is blatantly stupid and is worse than any other form of railroading.
>>
>>54235324
>mutliclassing
that's why we can't have nice things
>>
>>54231042
My players have to end a ritual which generates a large storm. Is gathering
> a holy symbol of Auril
> a precious diamond
> dragon egg shells
> an everlasting candle
and casting daylight on the ritual's focus. Too boring? All components can be found / won within the dungeon.

Any other ideas?
>>
Is there some kind of way to implement Stands in 5e?
>>
>>54235013
Bump for hope. I want to play Tarokka Magical Gypsy Gambit.
>>
>>54235552
Treat them like Familiars?
>>
>>54235552
I'm pretty sure there's a summoner class out there somewhere. I think there was a 4e class called Shaman that's similar to what you describe.
>>
>>54235552
Regular punchghosts? Yes, they can be implemented as a cantrip or something. But something way out of there, like Killer Queen or Soft and Wet? No way.
>>
>>54235454
Depends on how it's played. It's good if you realize that it's just a very defensive wizard. It's bad if you're under the mistaken impression that it's a magic-themed fighter. A bladesinger is still a full caster, and its best offensive options are always slells and never swords. Even in melee with no spell slots to spend, its best option is Shocking Grasp followed by moving away.
>>
>>54235552
Shepard Druid?
>>
So GM has outlawed multiclassing so other players can use UA material. I'm fine with that.

I've gone V. Human Cleric. Tempest domain. Resilient:CON as first feat.

What stat buy should I prioritise to go sword-and-board, to be a viable frontline? Is Resilient too early? Mostly thinking I'll be spamming my bonus action with Spiritual Weapon and throwing around my Spirit Guardians.
>>
>>54235700
Don't buy strength memes. Your melee damage will be impressive at first, but outpaced by your cantrips as of level 4. Most of your damage will be done with spiritual guardians.
So, invest into wisdom first. You can still pick strength as your second highest stat, especially so you can wear heavy armor, but wisdom is your first priority.
>>
>>54235552

I think the UA Barbarian Path Ancestral Guardian or whatever it's called is close. Just hotfix it so it gets an offensive ability at level 3 and you're set.
>>
>>54235654
I did think it was a Magic-Fighter. I appreciate the clarification.
>>
>>54235700
Magic Initiate for Shillelagh so you can melee smack with your Wisdom.

Warcaster is better than Resilient.

Beg to get Booming Blade as Domain cantrip. You can also get it with Spell Sniper but you don't get that many feats as a Cleric.
>>
>>54235700
You've encountered the Gish's Dilemma. You will be better at one thing than the other, or you'll be equal at both but much worse than a specialist in either. In your case I would put preference on Wisdom and spellcasting because that's the cleric's most important job. The storm domain has a few features for weapons and a few for spells, but nobody will ever complain that you're not hitting with melee weapons well enough as a cleric.
>>
File: bounce house.png (1MB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
bounce house.png
1MB, 1080x1920px
Where can I go to talk about 3.5?
>>
>>54235871
Giantitp is where 3.5 dinosaurs go to die.
>>
>>54235871

The Pathfinder guys usually know a thing or two about that. You might ask them.
>>
>>54235871
You could make a thread for it. Or see if 3.5 counts as old-school for OSR
>>
Appreciated, Anons. I think GM is letting me have access to Booming Blade, and I'm not too worried about over all damage since Spirit Guardians, Spiritual Weapon and Booming Blade will keep me on par with most.

I doubt the campaign will roll past 10 without GM getting bored and deciding they've got a new 'next best thing'.

Then I'll probably make a Conquest Paladin and ruin their day.
>>
>>54235871

I figured you guys just play Pathfinder.
>>
>>54235944
>Or see if 3.5 counts as old-school for OSR
lolno. Even 2e's OSR status is hotly debated there, and they mostly talk about B/X, retroclones and homebrew systems
>>
>>54235421
Well... are you fine with what you rolled?
I can totally understand your point of view, but in my experience, what have you written on your sheet in "Traits" field does rarely matters.

>>54235654
Our Bladesinger, when she turn on buffs, is pretty much unhittable by anything but crit. And when hit without buffs on, she uses shield.
>>
I'm thinking of rolling up a Tavern Brawler Stone Sorcerrer.

How should i go about it?
>>
>>54235998
That is what bladesingers are good at when compared to other wizards: having a very high AC. This involves holding a melee weapon, but you must make sure to never use it. It's a trick.
>>
>>54235552
If you want a Jojo game, go ask the one roll engine general about the Jojo Monsters and Other Childish Things hack. I don't know if anything came off it but it was perfect
>>
What's the best way to handle the NPC's in Chapter 2 of Storm King's Thunder? Just hand my players the sheets and let them loose?
>>
>>54236047
Do you intend on using unarmed strikes as your main attack? Because then, be aware unarmed is terribad even with Tavern Brawler.
>>
anyone knows of rules on how to cut legs, arms and the kind?
>>
Is Armor of Agathys any good? I'm kinda' tempted to homebrew it so that it radiates cold damage equal to half the total remaining temporary hitpoints against any attack that misses the caster.
>>
>>54236162
its a fantastic spell. dont confuse it being bad with warlocks being bad
>>
>>54236121
Ah to clarify.
I intend to go with a Stone Sorcerrer/Fighter build.

Intend to grab the Brawny feat as my second feat for Athletics expertise.
Using Smites to boost melee damage.
>>
>>54236193

Forgive me senpai, I know not what I did.
>>
Is there a place to find roll20 spell area templates besides the few in the mega (or on the roll20 marketplace)?
>>
>>54236202
You don't use the smite spells.

You use the SCAG cantrips. Twinned Booming Blade, Quickened Green-Flame Blade.

What are you grabbing Tavern Brawler for?
>>
>>54236160
There are rules on the lingering injury table in the DMG.

>Lose a Foot or Leg. Your speed on foot is halved, and you must use a cane or crutch to move unless you have a peg leg or other prosthesis. You fall prone after using the Dash action. You have disadvantage on Dexterity checks made to balance. Magic such as the regenerate spell can restore the lost appendage.

>Lose an Arm or a Hand. You can no longer hold anything with two hands, and you can hold only a single object at a time. Magic such as the regenerate spell can restore the lost appendage.
>>
>>54236278
no no no no

what I mean is not the rules on what happens to the player when they loose an arm or leg, but what rules apply for the players to be able to cut an arm or leg
>>
>>54236278
Oh, and about HOW

>It's up to you to decide when to check for a lingering injury. A creature might sustain a lingering injury under the following circumstances:

>When it takes a critical hit
>When it drops to 0 hit points but isn't killed outright
>When it fails a death saving throw by 5 or more
>>
Is the revised Conquest Paladin as OP in practice as it is on paper?
>>
>>54231681
If I'm right in thinking that the point of contention here isn't that you are asking for money to provide the service of the game but rather for money to buy the food and drink you provide then your issue isn't really one to do with RPGs explicitly, as it could apply if you hosted a weekly football night and provided drinks and snacks for free.

I could understand why players might be a bit taken aback. I think if I regularly went to someone's house and they offered me food without asking for anything in return then suddenly I found out they were actually frustrated with me for and then asked for money I would be taken abaxk.. I can't read minds after all and tend to come from generous cultures in terms of food. That's not to judge you, you're in your right to ask I'm just explaining your players are also not wrong for however they feel about it.

You can explain the situation to your players and ask that they pool in money for the food and drink you provide. If they do great. If players choose not to then you can ask that they don't eat the food others have brought and bring their own if they want anything. If they persist further in then taking the food anyway you can ask they not return.

You can also simply explain you can't afford to provide food for the group anymore and just bring food for yourself and ask that they bring food for themselves , it's up to them.

Personally my friend hosts and I run, I bring a bottle of wine and some snacks when I can afford it and when I can't I don't and others tend to buy their own foods as they're pretty picky eaters.

In general you just need to be able to openly communicate honestly with your players what you want. Unfortunately you can't do this with a charisma roll irl. As a tangent I tend to feel roleplay era inability to work out how to run social mechanics in games is a byproduct of not knowing how to interpersonal in the first place.
>>
Ever been transformed into a (conscious) skellington, anons?
>>
>>54236494
You are a skeleton wearing a cozy meat jumpsuit
>>
What is better Stone Sorceror/Hexblade Bladelock or Draconic Bloodline/Hexblade?
>>
>>54236532
Hmm, tough choice. I'd have to go with don't multiclass UA.
>>
>>54236372
It's strong against trash mobs not immune to fear.

Hardly OP, compared to other Paladins.
>>
Ancients Paladin 7/Fey Warlock 7/Lore Bard 5/Dragon Sorcerer 1

Discuss
>>
>>54236583

What are the strongest paladins?
>>
>>54236551
Besides that answer anon...
>>
>>54234202
Eepc?
>>
>>54236597
Sounds spread too thin.
>>
>>54236631
Elemental Evil Player's Companion.
>>
>>54236597

Sure, once you tell us how to justify this to your GM from an in-character perspective.
>>
>>54236597
Sounds like a character that is really good at helping other people do stuff between short rests

>>54236672
The only part that really doesn't fit is the 1 level in dragon sorcerer. ancient paladin is about protecting nature and encouraging joy via stuff like song according to their code, so you can justify bard/warlock decently enough.

"I also have dragon blood" is a little silly but even that works, even if it makes you sound like an anime character.
>>
>druids can wear medium armor
>almost all medium armor is metal

Since they can't wear any metal armor could wood be used as an alternative?

Would it be more or less effective than hide armor?
>>
>>54236597
Make up your damn mind/10
>>
>>54236583
Lest we forget that V.Human Vengeance Great Weapon Fighting, Great Weapon Master, Polearm Master with Resilient CON for auto-concentration Haste is a thing.

An old combo, but still good. Like aged cheddar.
>>
Someone tries to transport an unconscious fellow NPC with dimension door.

Do they count as a willing creature, or do they ahve to count against the caster's carrying weight?
>>
File: A GenOS Error Has Occurred.jpg (48KB, 426x306px) Image search: [Google]
A GenOS Error Has Occurred.jpg
48KB, 426x306px
>>54231799

>Wants to annoy a DM
>Doesn't have the capacity to create a character that can do that

I have a feeling that you're too accustomed to being a DM with easygoing players. If someone gave you a dickish character sheet, I'm almost positive it would be wasted.
>>
>>54236660
Thats what i thought it was but ive mostly seen it just spelled as EE. Thanks
>>
>>54236614
They're good at different things.

Oathbreaker does the most damage.
Devotion is the best for CHAllelagh.
Ancients is the best at telling spellcasters to fuck off.
Vengeance is the second best at general combat.

The rest are mediocre.
>>
>>54236733

Well, I don't know if 5e has it, but previous editions had stuff like ironwood, which basically gave druids a loophole to use metal armor without breaking their vows.
>>
>>54231799
>He does that, because I, obvioulsy, prepare an adventure for each session
What else are you gonna do, invent the whole world in real time as the characters take action?
>>
>>54236733
Wood I'd say no, but you could always go all 2e and let the Druid get giant insect shell half-plate or whatever. Scale Mail made of actual scales is another one
>>
>>54236733
Scale Armor and breastplates could arguably be created from some creatures' carapaces and chitin.
>>
Since Rangers are shit, which fighter archetype is the best archer: Arcane Archer or Sharpshooter? No Crossbow Expert
>>
Which race do I play next? Don't care about getting a 1 or 2 in my main stat
>>
>>54236752
>Do they count as a willing creature
No.
http://www.sageadvice.eu/2016/04/19/can-you-take-a-unconscious-target-with-you-using-dimension-door/
>>
Why can't druids use metal armor anyway? Why is WotC telling me what my character will or won't do?
>>
>>54236868
If they do, they explode.
>>
>>54236849
tri-kreen
>>
>>54236821

Use the Revised Ranger UA. Much gibbing to be had.
>>
>>54236614

Depends on what you mean by 'strong'.

If by strong you mean most raw damage and hitting power, then Vengeance with Channel Divinity for heavy bursts against one BBEG per short rest, or Oathbreaker for sustained.

For versatility, Ancients and Devotion, the Oaths that seem to do a little bit of everything.

For general CC and mook clearing, the Conquest Paladin with its revisions in UA.

And then there's Treachery, Crown and Redemption.

We don't talk about these three. They don't do anything. Crown gets Spirit Guardians, I guess.
>>
>>54231681

>Money for beer and liquor

Yeah, that's reasonable

>money for preparing adventures

YMMV. Yeah, being the DM is generally involved with more work than 'just' being a player, but its everyone's hobby. Unless you're writing some mind-blowing settings and campaigns, taking money for being DM is a bit of a cheap shot.
>>
>>54236821
Battlemaster is still the best archer class there is.
>>
>>54236821
>Rangers are shit
you're shit
>>
>>54231681
>My party consists of 8 players
Jesus christ you must be a masochist
>>
>>54236979
Or he just enjoys long naps between turns.
>>
File: 1453425745405[1].jpg (15KB, 477x539px) Image search: [Google]
1453425745405[1].jpg
15KB, 477x539px
>Players want to have a somewhat balanced party
>They say someone should probably have some healing
>Say I'll play a cleric
>Turn up with no heals memorised
D E V I L I S H
healing is dumb anyway
>>
>>54236821
Sharpshooter archetype is just absurd.

But setting that aside, if you remove Crossbow Expert then Hunter Ranger is a competitive Archer. Revised Ranger moreso.

Battle Master still better.
>>
>>54237049
What domain did you choose?
>>
If I'm doing a fighter dip for a paladin, should I stay at 2 or go 3 to pick up some maneuvers?
>>
>>54237108
Tempest
>>
>>54237116
Precise and Riposte are always good.
Champion if you're Vengeance.
Don't do it until Paladin 11 though.
>>
File: oqeTOuSdTRSrA87Nm9MK5w[1].png (5KB, 770x64px) Image search: [Google]
oqeTOuSdTRSrA87Nm9MK5w[1].png
5KB, 770x64px
Where are the (UA; X) domains like Ambition from?
>>
>>54237161
>Don't do it until Paladin 11 though.
I say dip but I was actually going to start out as fighter before becoming a paladin (ancient oath to represent him becoming inspired). Why do you suggest waiting?
>>
>>54237116

If you must MC the pala, go 3 for battlemaster and pick up some maneuvers, Precise Strike in particular, and grab a fighting style that will complement the one you get at Pala 2.
>>
>>54237062
Well, Hunter's strong point is repeatable AOE. It's more limited and specialized than battlemaster, but as long as the targets meet the circumstances and they have ammunition, Hunter Rangers can shoot volleys every turn where a battlemaster might run out of superiority dice.
>>
>>54236991
>>54236979
Actually, that is quite common today. It is quite difficult to establish a D&D party with the ideal amount of 3-5 players. Whenever I tried a lot of people were interested. My current group also has eight players. However, most of the times we are "only" six or seven at the table. It is near impossible for everyone to be able to attend.

You'll have to be more strict about some things. If your players are at least a little disciplined it works quite well, though. Everyone should know what he is going to do when his turn comes up. We visualize the turn order to facilitate this. When you want to cast a spell or use something, you should know the rules on your turn. Otherwise there is a 50 percent chance of failure. Unless, of course, something changed immedeatly before your round so you have to rethink.

Because action economy is key to a balanced battle i usually use larger groups of similar enemies when possible. I roll all their attacks at once and distribute the attacks afterwards (two arrows hit you player X, while you are able to deflect the spear player Y).

Works quite well. At least until the point where everyone is a bit inebriated. But then it is fun nonetheless.
>>
How much worse is a dex build compared to Shillelagh meme for a paladin/warlock? The idea of using a big stick with a shield just doesn't sound appealing to me
>>
>>54237186

Different Anon here. In my opinion, it's because your main Pala abilities will be even slower to come online, namely Divine Smite (lv 2), extra attack (lv 5), Aura of protection (lv6, super important) and Improved Divine Smite (level 11).

Grabbing Battlemaster and Action surge after 11 is better because post 10 is when you start needing those maneuvers. Before 10, mobs die too quickly and Bless handles most of your needs for hits and saves. Take BM first and your staple abilities won't start coming online until much later.
>>
>>54237237

Negligible difference, but if minmaxing is your thing, go for it.
>>
>>54237185
Based on googling the names of the gods involved, it seems to be from one of the MTG-based plane shifts.
>>
File: good one, take a bite.jpg (40KB, 350x418px) Image search: [Google]
good one, take a bite.jpg
40KB, 350x418px
>players roll an all orcs party
>one barbarian, one sorcerer (playing the shaman), one walock (playing the magical girl) and an eldritch knight fighter
>had an undead campaign about a lich asshole conspiring with a noble who trades with slaves and shit
>fuck that
>they are doing the "we wuz kings n shit" in a campaign to show dem racist elves who is boss
>mfw

I fucking love them
>>
File: intrigued face guy.png (39KB, 321x322px) Image search: [Google]
intrigued face guy.png
39KB, 321x322px
>>54237449
>warlock magical girl orc

Tell me more.
>>
File: Gul'dan.jpg (758KB, 1429x2000px) Image search: [Google]
Gul'dan.jpg
758KB, 1429x2000px
>>54237449
Hello, it's me. Your new main antagonist.
>>
File: 1499521779911.png (281KB, 371x532px) Image search: [Google]
1499521779911.png
281KB, 371x532px
>when you don't have too bad of a game for once
>>
>>54237237
Quarterstaff gives you a Bonus Action attack through PAM.

It's already the best Sword&Board weapon for a Paladin - Shillelagh only makes it better.

What are you going to be doing with your Bonus Actions otherwise?
>>
File: uIciIV4UR5aNZZwnBIyHPw[1].png (217KB, 463x310px) Image search: [Google]
uIciIV4UR5aNZZwnBIyHPw[1].png
217KB, 463x310px
How are lizardfolk supposed to be adventurers when they think like this?
>>
>>54237049
That's not devilish that's just rude desu. Shame on you anon, shame.
>>
>>54237544

Apparently, they can get very protective over cute humanoids, and think of them as precious babies to defend at all costs. Maybe they decided they like an adventurer.
>>
>>54234105
>Undead are usually immune to necrotic
Depends on if they're spectral/ghostly or drain life. If they're just reanimated, they usually are only resistant or even normal.
>>
>>54237544
If anything, that makes them better-behaved than the average adventurer.
>>
>>54237509
well
The party is a group of youngsters composed of the shaman/sorcerer being the son of the chief of the city of Negrotar going alongside his two childhood friends, the barbarian, a fucking chad neet who spends his time lifting and admiring himself in a mirror and his big sister, the magical girl who looks younger than him with her short stature and is a cute tomboy. In their way they met the fighter, who wanted to be a wizard but fucked up completely and ended up in the wrong place as an eldritch knight, but still 100% convinced that he is a wizard with spells like "I cast fist" and "I cast decapitate"
>>
>>54237570
>lizardman starts carrying the party in his jaws
>>
>>54236193
Yeah, warlocks are bad for different reasons.
>>
File: martial options 1.3.pdf (374KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
martial options 1.3.pdf
374KB, 1x1px
>>54236314
There are no such rules. If you must have them, you must enter the realm of homebrew. This PDF has one option in it under Anatomic Combat.
>>
>>54236923
It's a shame really, I love the idea behind the redemption paladin, but in a game that focuses on combat so much it's mechanically lackluster.
>>
>>54237658
I'll give it a read, thanks
>>
>>54236494
No. My DM says conscious skellingtons don't exist.
>>
>>54237619
Sounds great. Goddamn why do orcs make everything better? Maybe I'll try to convince my group to roll all orcs when our current campaign is done.
>>
>>54237619
>with spells like "I cast fist" and "I cast decapitate"
they call this "typical orc wizardry" by the way
>>
>>54236868
It's people like you that are the reason being a paladin doesn't mean anything anymore.
>>
>>54234729
Maybe... Monk?
>>
>>54236314
If a player decides to target a specific part of the body, then sure. You don't need to do anything funny.
Instead of just saying 'You hit the enemy in the [random part determined by the DM]' you say 'you hit the enemy in the leg'
And if you don't already do stuff like 'the weak enemy loses a leg from your crit' even if the player didn't call for it (providing they're not trying to hold back) then that's kinda a lame way of doing combat. Of course they might not get the result they wanted but if they don't have a special ability for it then what did they expect?
>>
>>54237733
the problem is when the player says "okay, fuck the bandit, I gonna cut his hand, what do I do to cut it?" and I freak the fuck out because I don't know
>>
>>54237764
If you really want your players to be able to do stuff like that then roll attack to hit, DC for bandit to resist "bad effect"
>>
>>54237764
Tell him to knock the bandit unconscious then just lean down and cut it off.
>>
>>54237764
Just roll with it.
If they hit but don't hit awfully well, they miss the hand but still hit.
If they hit and hit well then it gets some flavour like 'you hit them and they almost lose their grip, but while taking normal damage nothing much else happens' or
if they roll really well
'their weapon drops from their hand as they're thrown off' or 'you take out the hand', whatever works.
If they really insist on sacrificing damage for it, have them roll with disadvantage and if they hit they definitely have some sort of an effect, whether it's breaking their hand, slicing it, taking it off entirely or knocking something out of it.

I'll admit I'm pretty comfortable because I know the system inside out and I can come up with something on the spot that won't cuck all the battlemasters and is also fair, but really you should just try to roll with things and if they keep using it because you made it overpowered wait until the end of the session and kinda rework it.
>>
>>54237814
I ended up doing this, reducing HP to cero or unconsciousness but not without we getting a bit flustered about "the rules say nothing about how t dismember"
>>54237801
that's fucking OP
>>
>>54237829
>>54237764
Also, it's extremely situational.

Cut off a troll's hand? Yeah, sure, no problem there. It'll heal back soon.

Cut off a weak bandit's hand? Yeah, sure, the bandit had hardly any health.

Cut off a boss's hand? Really depends. Perhaps if it's a big tough boss you might let them do it and while you reduce the damage they do to the boss a bit of effort will eventually hurt the boss's hand too much for them to use it.
>>
>>54235253
>Tons of free HP
>never fight as an animal ever.
It's not free HP if you don't use it.
>>
File: fairy.jpg (174KB, 640x880px) Image search: [Google]
fairy.jpg
174KB, 640x880px
I'm working on a Fairy race homebrew right now. It's kinda hard to balance making their natural frailty important with giving them cool fairy powers. Any feedback is appreciated.

https://pastebin.com/VWBiLwVh
>>
>>54237834
>that's fucking OP
I didn't say what the DC or effect was and there are two chances of failure (miss and DC success). Are you naturally that stupid or do you work on it?
>>
>>54237522
>What are you going to be doing with your Bonus Actions otherwise?
Don't paladin and/or warlock have spells that use bonus actions? Either way PAM quarterstaff is spending a feat/ASI for an extra 1d4 + strength (which probably isn't that great if you were pumping CHA for your main hand damage) hit, is that really THAT useful?
>>
>>54237925
The opportunity attack you can take every time someone enters your reach increases your damage much more than you think, especially since opportunity attacks are such niche attacks without it.
>>
File: tumblr_o1xabiJPq51u5dw58o2_1280.png (767KB, 600x849px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o1xabiJPq51u5dw58o2_1280.png
767KB, 600x849px
>level 7 party
>CR 13/14 enemy
>don't have to kill it, just have to destroy a bunch of widgets its guarding, have an NPC ally helping them
>brutal fucking fight, healer gets downed twice, a PC almost gets environmental killed, another PC goes down trying to save the healer the second time
>get the widgets, retreat into fortified vault
>most of the party inside, shut the door in the face of another PC and with the downed rogue who tried to save the healer still outside
>through use of Bad MacGuffin and some decent luck just barely manage to scrape through with everyone alive

I'm feeling pretty good.
>>
>>54235103
It's great on paper. I've no idea how it turns out in reality, but I often find other casters find setbacks in reality too, often because a lot of their most broken stuff kicks in later.

Your choices are:
Wizard for magical utility + magic.
Bard for non-magical utility + magic.
Moon Druid for tankiness + magic.

Also the at-will attacks in animal form are better than casting cantrips and such.

Land druid gets maybe one extra polymorph a day, but that's nothing compared to 4-6 wildshapes a day.
>>
>>54237957
>The opportunity attack you can take every time someone enters your reach
But for a staff this is only 5 feet
>>
Guys, which feat is better for a 4th level Warlock (Fiend, Tome)?
I'm considering either Resilient (Con) and War Caster
>>
>>54236314
I cant imagine anyone having his limb cut off and not being on 0 HPs.
>>
>>54237972
The majority of enemies in the MM will get within 5 feet to hit you anyway.
>>
>>54237871
there are too many things that makes them a nightmare for a GM in terms of balancing for finding things just for a single character and not attractive for players save for "that guy", so I suggest some normalization measures
I would increase the size of fairies to range from 40 to 90cm (half a halfling)

One thing I would consider that fairies have "super strength", although with their size this only means that fairies are able to lift things that normal humans can with the same ease, this way it is possible to not have to resort to special singular equipment save armor

I see you added too many complicated things related to their size, my recommendation would be to just add a bonus to AC because small size and in turn make them take extra damage (with the weakness to physical damage that you put)
>>
>>54237925
Paladins have Smite spells but they're generally better off just using their Divine Smite.

Warlocks have Hex which they- oh god, are you suggesting a DEX Paladin/Warlock multiclass? You're just making yourself MAD for no reason, that's awful!

PAM Bonus Action attack is super useful. You take dueling style, yes? What's your main-hand attack with a rapier, 1d8+7? So 2d8+14 vs 2d6+1d4+21 from QS.

~23 vs ~30.5

Then you factor in Improved Divine Smite at 11th (1d8 radiant to all hits), and increased chances to hit to land Divine Smites, and the difference goes further towards Quarterstaff + PAM.

And I don't know what mistaken impression you have, but you use your CHA to hit with the PAM BA attack if you activate Shillelagh.
>>
>>54237871
Way too bloated. Shave the special abilities down to the necessities and avoid piling on multiple rules that make it unecessarily complicated just to exist as a Tiny creature. Try to keep it close to a normal PC with one, at most two, quirks related to being Tiny.
>>
>>54238043
>Warlocks have Hex which they- oh god, are you suggesting a DEX Paladin/Warlock multiclass? You're just making yourself MAD for no reason, that's awful!
you only have to boost dex and cha (and con if you need health for some reason). getting a 13 in strength to multiclass while still having large points in stats you care about is super doable with standard array and point by if you just play half-elf (and why wouldn't you?). dex is the god stat of 5e

>And I don't know what mistaken impression you have, but you use your CHA to hit with the PAM BA attack if you activate Shillelagh.
according to sage the 1d4 is a function of the feat and not the weapon so shill doesn't apply to it
>>
Am I reading this right or can a paladin with superiority dice combine smite with maneuvers in the same attack?
>>
>>54238145
>Multiclass is bonkers
Who knew?
>>
>>54238145
I mean, why not?
Smites are already hella burstey, doesn't matter if you want to become even more burstey.

Action surge + manoeuvres + smite leads to you wasting all your resources in one turn.
>>
staff + shield is the stupidest build of all time. I dare someone to post an example of fighting with this style that makes any sense
>>
>>54238179
I know, right? It is disgusting!
>>
>>54238179
I wouldn't need to use a quarterstaff if shillelagh worked for maces.
>>
>>54238179
Warlock/Druid using the staff as its arcane focus casting Shillelagh
>>
>>54238255
where does the shield come in?
>>
>>54238270
The +2 AC
>>
File: Mummy.png (192KB, 204x480px) Image search: [Google]
Mummy.png
192KB, 204x480px
Diseases are something that has been relatively neglected in 5th edition. What changes or additions would you like to see come in Xanathar's Guide to Monsters?
>>
>>54237871
Scratch Light and just give them a flight speed. Scratch the stuff about fairy dust and "levels" of dice since it's finicky and inconsistent with the system - if you must, give them Friends and a once/long rest ability to take Disengage as a bonus action. For fragile you can just give them -2 to con if you insist on keeping something of the sort.

Fairy weapons can be rewritten like this:
>Fairy Weapons. Weapons and Armor have to be custom made for a fairy, costing twice as much due to their rarity and difficulty of make
>>
>>54236821
>Arcane Archer or Sharpshooter?
AA is getting revised. SS is the least popular subclass out of the whole weekly UA series. Even if it's good, we won't see it printed, so I'd just forget it.
>>
I just cast a Web on top of a Grease in a crowded hallway full of Orcs. I think my DM is pissed about all these Saves.
>>
>>54238131
You still need CON!
What stats are you looking at, CON +1? This is even worse when you're looking for Hex to shore up your pathetic DEX build damage. And using Hex also means you don't get to use Bless, which is much better if there are no Clerics in the party

And re Shillelagh + PAM:
http://www.sageadvice.eu/2017/03/17/shillelagh-polearm-master-damage-with-a-staff-still-be-a-d4-or-would-it-be-a-d8/

As I already showed earlier, QS+PAM offers a very significant damage boost over any other forms of one-handing, particularly for a Paladin. CHAllelagh makes it even better through synergies.

The "meme build" is real.
>>
>>54238313
Arcane archer already got revised once, and it is still trash.
>>
>>54238321
It's perfectly fine, Battlemaster fanboys are just upset that it isn't "Battlemaster: the Wizard" and actually uses at-will abilities.
>>
>>54238320
>You still need CON!
>implying you'll ever take serious HP damage or die in 5e
>>
>>54238386
Concentration checks.
>>
>>54237658
>Anatomic Combat.
Makes me expect to see Marital Options on the pdf.
>>
>>54238386
I'm confused. A single greatsword hit can nearly always bring a level 1 to 0HP.

If you have a shit DM who refuses to ever target a down player, then sure. That's not a system fault so much as a DM issue.
>>
>>54238000
Unless you get within 5' of them to hit them first, or they go after someone else because they've no reason to prefer attacking the guy with a shield.
>>
>>54238356
The problem is they only ever have 2 uses of their magical ability, which is the whole point of the class.
>>
>>54238320
even with chalelagh you would still be better of going dex because of how much more useful it is as a stat than str
>>
>>54238036
>>54238050
>>54238306
Yeah, I agree. It was definitely a bit bloated. I guess the fact that I had to use a pastebin probably should have been a big clue. How is this?:

Fairy Traits
>Ability Score Increase: A Fairies small size and natural appeal grants it +2 Dexterity and +2 Charisma.

>Age: Fairies grow to maturity in about 5 years and can live for centuries.

>Alignment: Fairies are good natured creatures, though they often don’t understand any society but their own, so they tend away from lawful.

>Size: Fairies are tiny creatures, usually measuring in at around 12-15 inches tall. Fairies float almost weightlessly about if their wings are undamaged, but otherwise weigh around 2 pounds.

>Speed: Fairies have a base walking speed of 5 feet, and a flying speed of 30 feet. Fairies can hover in the air. Ascending is considered difficult terrain.

>Darkvision: Like other fey creatures, Fairies are accustomed to living without light out in nature. Fairies can see up to 60 feet through dim light as if it were bright light, and 60 feet through darkness as if it were dim light.

>Humanoid Fey: Fairies are considered both Humanoid and Fey.

>Weak: A fairy’s small body makes them fragile. They are weak to bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage, except for fall damage.

>Magical Protection: While a Fairy is unarmored, they gain a bonus to AC equal to their Charisma Modifier (Doesn’t stack with Monk’s Unarmored Defense) and can release a cloud of bright magic dust as a reaction to grant disadvantage on an incoming attack once per short rest.

>Elusive: Fairies begin proficient in the stealth skill. Unlike Pixies, Fairies can’t truly turn invisible, but they can use a sort of primal magic to make them unnoticeable to most creatures. Using the hide action, Fairies can hide in plain sight of any creature that is not a beast, fey, celestial, fiend, monstrosity, or dragon.

>Flyby: Attacks of opportunity have disadvantage on Fairies.
>>
>>54238488
>or they go after someone else because they've no reason to prefer attacking the guy with a shield.

All the more reason to maximize your damage in a shield build.

Like with QS+PAM.
>>
>>54238281
Im not sure what to say other than we need more diseases. Let me give my players malaria
>>
File: Myconid.jpg (346KB, 914x750px) Image search: [Google]
Myconid.jpg
346KB, 914x750px
What would you guys think about a system where armor provided damage reduction?
>>
>>54238535
>Magic arrows aren't magical
>Curving arrows aren't magical
>I have to spam exploding arrow like a Diablo character.
>>
>>54238593
Technically it's already in 5e, but it's behind the Heavy Armor Master feat.
>>
>>54238535
>The problem is they only ever have 2 uses of their magical ability, which is the whole point of the class.
I dare say the free +1 Attack, +1 Damage and Curving Shots are actually the main class abilities. The Magic Arrows are treated as a burst effect they can use but not too often.
>>
>>54238593

System is too smooth as it is. Right now, failing to hit due to AC can be fluffed as a miss, your armor doing its job, a dodge.

I think dmg reduction systems can work, but damage intake is already smooth in this system.
>>
>>54238621
Yes, but what if it was built into the system without the use of feats, and Heavy Armor Master simply increased its efficacy?
>>
>>54238550
way better, I like it

Even if I prefered the "bonus to AC for being small" the "bonus CHA to AC" pretty much does that, so its all good

would play
>>
>>54238593
To be honest, I tried early on in a pseudo-historical writeup, mostly to differentiate/highlight the uses of axes against mail as compared to other combinations. It... has issues. The problem is that it's just too much of a departure from the balance of the game to be worth the trouble. The Heavy Armor Master feat sort of shows the thought process behind this: at lower levels, particularly where things aren't necessarily or essentially fantastical, a few points of DR is pretty neat. But they don't go very far, which is probably appropriate to most fantasy settings.
>>
>>54238541
Oh, sure, DEX is a better stat than STR, no question.

But for a CHAllelagh build you would only take 14 for max AC on half plate.

And if you're doing your 6 Paladin levels first and don't want them to suck, you go 16 STR and 16 CHA.
>>
>>54238550
Much better, but Weak still feels a bit much seeing it effectively halves your HP against most opponents. I think you'd benefit from some playtesting
>>
File: 1425660899194.jpg (21KB, 400x399px) Image search: [Google]
1425660899194.jpg
21KB, 400x399px
i have a player who is playing a bard, but is still coming into their own when it comes to rp (interesting class choice, i know). he has been a lot better the last few sessions, and i have been trying to plan something for him to be the star and encourage him to rp. the group is travelling in the woods and they are going to meet a satyr who is trying to woo a dryad. what sorts of things could i add into a skill challenge here to let the bard shine? i am thinking of having him make a few performance checks to help the satyr improve his music, and then come up with a few lines for the players to come up with rhymes for. any other ideas?
>>
>>54238663
It's doable, bit it'll just take a lot of time balance everything since you're changing the entire combat system.
>>
>>54238550
I'd go for 'small' size so that it doesn't stray outside typical race sizes. Just a particularly small small race such as dwarfs are much smaller than goliaths yet they're all considered 'medium'.

Magical protection should instead just be 'your AC equals 10+dex+cha'
Weak is good to keep because it balances the fact a player is playing a really small and squishy race and deserves to be punished for it, especially when they start with a flight speed and flyby.

I'd give them racial casting too (Probably a cantrip/two cantrips + a level 1 spell) and then that would leave them as powerful but extremely flawed HP-wise.
>>
>>54238676
If it's before I have the spell why not just use a dex weapon and get PAM later on? Between smite and the melee cantrps your damage is acceptable for lower levels, and dex means you have speed and can occasionally use skills for situations where you aren't murdering people
>>
>>54238550

the weak trait is unnecessary, it's completely gimping
>>
>>54237514
>>
>>54238955
Did nothing wrong.
>>
Would Kenku speech be just a mix-match of different voices for each word they use? Or would they just not use speech at all?
>>
>>54238841
Because look at your stat options with a half elf:

STR 16
DEX 10
CON 14
INT 8
WIS 12
CHA 16

This is what I've been advocating irt to STR vs DEX. You start Paladin, get PAM at 4th, and 6th or 7th (depending on oath) MC into Warlock. It's solid, it works.

STR 13
DEX 14
CON 14
INT 8
WIS 10
CHA 16

Compared to the above this is going to end up with +2 to DEX saves, but -1 AC and -1 to WIS saves (which is eeeh if you go devotion since you become immune to most WIS effects). Most importantly, though, you do *not* start with 16 in a melee stat: if you go this route, you need to start with or MC into Warlock as soon as possible, then back into Paladin after you get Shillelagh - relying on Eldritch Blast until you get your Pact, Feats and Extra Attack all in order. Note that you cannot GFB+PAM.

STR 13
DEX 16
CON 14
INT 8
WIS 10
CHA 14

What the fuck is even this shit? +1 DEX that doesn't go fucking anywhere once Shillelagh enters the equation, slowing The True Godstat progression.
>>
>>54238905
more difficult to hit, even capable of reaching natural 20AC, so getting more damage in return makes sense
>>
>>54238550
ASI: I would argue for +2/+1 pattern all other races have.

Humanoid Fey: I dont feel comfortable with creature having two types at once. Not without interacting how they interfere. Would paladin detect them? Would charm person work?

Magical protection: If i play fairy as sorcerer (what else would i pick, anyway) i could have +5 AC no later than at 4th level. With decent Dex (+3) and Mage armor i am at 21 AC. Probably offset by them being Fragile.
Does it stack with Barbarian's Unarmored Defense? What about Bladesinger's Bladesong?
I like the 'force disadvantage as reaction' a lot.
>>
>>54239033
Apparently, when they use words, they use a whole phrase they've heard. Like a parrot.
>>
How often do you fellow DMs like to incorporate environmental objectives into encounters, like what >>54237969 describes. What sort of things do you use? Escorting something, solving a puzzle in combat, sealing doors? Lets hear those ideas!
>>
>>54234586
>Monk
>Martian Arts

Someone should make a setting out of this.
>>
>>54239140
File it in with marital combat.
>>
File: 9019793384_b9da58efd3_b.jpg (226KB, 900x600px) Image search: [Google]
9019793384_b9da58efd3_b.jpg
226KB, 900x600px
>when you prep stuff and drop subtle hints everywhere and the players just waltz right past it and the one player that spots everything tells you that it would not be what his character would've done because he's playing neutral and doesn't want to get involved
>>
File: 1474535431018.jpg (63KB, 500x600px) Image search: [Google]
1474535431018.jpg
63KB, 500x600px
>>54239158
>>
File: that's life i guess.jpg (27KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
that's life i guess.jpg
27KB, 720x480px
>>54239158
>because he's playing neutral
>>
>>54239118
Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra
>>
>>54239038
with point buy and half elf you can be a big man and run 13/16/14/8/8/16

int and wis saves are for suckers
>>
>>54239158
>he's playing neutral and doesn't want to get involved
drop this guy
>>
>>54239158
>he's playing neutral and doesn't want to get involved
Why do people keep doing this?
>>
>>54238698
Reminds me of
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWm9XaMeGAs&t=1h
Maybe with an exception of having the bard killed at the end.
>>
>>54239038
>What the fuck is even this shit? +1 DEX that doesn't go fucking anywhere once Shillelagh enters the equation

with 13 strength and 16 dex a half plate (or breasteplate if you feel like being sneaky, I suppose) is superior and you get +3 initiative and the quite common dex save. Meanwhile that +1 strength doesn't do a goddamn thing for you once you get shille unless for some reason you feel like pushing someone instead of slapping them with your stick. What in the world are you going on about?
>>
>>54238672
thanks!

>>54238677
>>54238905
I agree that weakness to the physical damage types is pretty harsh, but I think there's enough tools to be able to work around it. I feel like anyone that would want to play as a fairy is doing so because they want to play something small and weak that has to outsmart bigger things. I have a game coming up soon where I'll test it out and see just how gnarly it is.

>>54238750
Racial spells make a lot of sense since elves get them. Maybe a cantrip and level 1 spell that roll off of charisma from the enchantment, illusion, or transmutation schools?
>>54239080
I think +2/+2 is fair due to weakness.

I guess fey ancestry from the Elf race would work to reduce confusion just as well since I believe it would be functionally the same. I am also pretty sure that Paladins can't detect fey at anyway, only celestials, demons, and undead.

I guess I could specify that the magical defense doesn't stack with abilities that increase AC by an ability modifier. That might already be a rule somewhere since I don't think you can stack Monk/Barb unarmored defense with each other or bladesong, even though you could technically easily multiclass into all of them.
>>
>>54239263
I still suggest reducing the impact of "weak", it is too gimping, how about instead of double damage they take 50% more damage?
>>
File: korean.jpg (470KB, 1080x1440px) Image search: [Google]
korean.jpg
470KB, 1080x1440px
>>54239158
Fuck these niggers.
>>
>First D&D Game
>DM has me make and play two characters temporarily whole we try to get more people.
>Make Chaotic Evil Drow Warlock for laughs, knowing I'll drop him soon.
>New person joins.
>We're escorting a cart, Warlock says he'll go ahead of us to the town.
>Expect him to be fully written out.
>Get to the town and find out a Drow Warlock has taken over the local gang and is terrorizing the town.

We haven't encountered him again yet. As a new player, I found this to be awesome. Excited to see where it leads.
>>
Should I run Sunless Citadel from Tales of the Yawning portal or Lost Mines as my first campaign?
>>
>>54239259

Look at Charisma in that array yo.
>>
File: 1473339665090.jpg (27KB, 600x418px) Image search: [Google]
1473339665090.jpg
27KB, 600x418px
>>54239323
>DM has me make and play two characters temporarily whole we try to get more people.
>>
>Join new online game
>DM matches us in a guild hall
>Theres a quest board
>Guildmarm asks us what quest we'll be doing today
>3 sessions in
>Ask DM if things are going to spice up perhaps anytime soon
>"I am more of a open-world kind of DM, just do whatever you want to do and ill go along with it!"
help
>>
>>54239326
Always LMoP
>>
>>54239410
fucking hell

worry not, there is a solution, this is when you have to demand, in game, outrageous quests and shit. Think of an adventure hook you would like to play and make the retarded lazyfuck of your GM make it
>"jesus fucking christ, her it says there is this ancient dungeon with an army of lizardmen waiting to be awakened form slumber!"
>>
File: 1483030852248.png (4KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1483030852248.png
4KB, 300x300px
I want to make a build about abusing the shit out of Spike Growth. Every 5 ft of movement through the spikes deals 2d4 damage. I want to grapple someone and jiggle them back and forth through the spikes for a bazillion unavoidable damage.

The only requirement for the build is the Spike Growth spell, which I can get with Druid/Cleric 3, Ranger 5, or Bard 6.

Past that, I'm looking for ways to increase the success of my grapple, ways to increase my speed, and ways to speed up the setup for the combo.

My best idea currently is a Tabaxi Druid 3/Sorcerer 2/Rogue 2. First turn is setup, casting a quickened Spike Growth with your bonus action and grappling with your main action. If you manage to keep them in the grapple, next turn you can double dash and drag them through 90ft of spikes (using Tabaxi's racial ability to cancel out the halved speed from grappling. Since every 5ft of spikes does 5 average damage, this combo will deal just about 90 damage with no attack rolls or saving throws involved. If you get aid from a teammate who casts Haste on you, you can even bring that up to 240 damage.

Other builds I've considered either take much longer to come online, need more than one round to set up. The biggest weakness of my current build is how MAD it is. Needs str for grappling, needs dex, wis and cha for multiclassing, and everyone needs a little con in their lives. Anyone have any ideas to improve this?
>>
>>54239410
Sounds like you need to talk your group into doing something creative. Is there anything you would like to be doing instead?
>>
>>54239461
Just have a teammate cast the spike growth and barbarogue can take care of the rest.
>>
What would someone with 8 int and wis but good to high everything else act like?
>>
>>54239132
In my case it was a canal of molten gold because they were exploring Faux Dorado.
>>
>>54239534
Like a normal person because 8 is average.
>>
>>54239534
OJ Simpson
>>
>>54239552
>The average person has a penalty to everything
>>
>>54239534
Chad? Well build, healthy, nimble and charismatic...
>>
>>54239309
I think 50% percent is probably more balanced but it can be an awkward number to multiply by constantly.
If the double damage turns out to be too harsh I'll probably do something like rerolling damage and taking higher or doubling the enemy's str/dex mod to damage taken.
>>
>>54239594
It's just below average, then. You don't need to talk like a caveman because you have a -1 penalty
>>
File: 1464806032.jpg (287KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1464806032.jpg
287KB, 768x1024px
Best setting coming through.
>>
>>54237983
Neither, get an ASI
>>
>>54239594
Have you ever gone outside and talked to people?

They are dumb as fuck.
>>
How would you guys reward players who explore every crevice of dungeons? I feel like I am giving a bit too many oddities like gold, potions and scrolls and would like to spice it up a bit.
>>
>>54239730
Based Eberronposter
>>
>>54237983
CHA+2 until maxed.
>>
>>54239735
>>54239750
I already have 18 Cha from rolling stats (and racial), is it really better to get 20 early over War Caster?
>>
>>54239730
>The Sword-hand begins in the forearm so he doesn't have to draw a wrist

Never change, Wayne Reynolds.
>>
>>54239768
Yes, absolutely.
>>
>>54239534
You're the sharpest tool in the shed, that's for sure.
>>
>>54239768
Yup
>>
>>54239510
I'm playing in Adventurer's League and I can in no way rely on having a teammate having the spell that I need
>>
>>54239461

I remember reading about a grappler doing this and combining it with bestow curse for an extra 1d8 damage every time spike growth triggers.

Seems kinda fun.
>>
>>54239510
The fuck is this barbarogue meme? I get that it can be a good multiclass combo but is there like one to three people who just spam this general with the class like it's the be-all-end-all?
>>
>>54237682
You're DM has no imagination for the absurdly fun.
>>
>>54239853
Maybe you shouldn't play super specific gimmick characters in AL.
>>
>>54239461
>/Sorcerer 2
>casting a quickened Spike Growth
Metamagic is level 3
>>
>>54239875
Can you think of a better grappler that's not a 4-way multiclass?

Thought so.
>>
>>54236624
But it's great advice.
>>
>>54239928
But it isn't.

How the hell else are we supposed to playtest and submit feedback about weird interactions if we're only allowed to single-class this shit?
>>
NEW THREAD

>>54239954
>>54239954
>>54239954
>>54239954
>>
>>54239981
There's only a couple things they can do that are outright overpowered, but there are many things they can do that definitely raise eyebrows when you compare them to other classes.

Mile-range spells?
Strength-targeting Hold Person that has +2 to DC? (note that once they're paralyzed they auto-fail subsequent rolls to resist)

On top of making the already 2nd most versatile spellcaster in the system even more versatile than the #1 on.
>>
>>54239912
Fuck that's right, good catch.

In that case, do I have any options to grapple as a bonus action while using my main action to cast Spike Growth?
>>
>>54239875
>but is there like one to three people who just spam this general with the class like it's the be-all-end-all?
Yes.
>>54239916
Do you just want to grapple? Valor Bard. Do you want to be good in melee and also grapple? Fighter. Wow. So hard.
>>
>>54239158
>"I shall play a game of make-believe, a game of power-fantasies and adopting the persona of a fantasy character in a fantasy land! Perhaps I shall be an Elf! A Dwarf! A Half-dwarf-half-elf!"

>"Perhaps I shall fucking be the player equivalent of a movie extra! Something utterly devoid of personality that hangs out in the background and tries to negate his own involvement in as much of the make-believe story as possible! BECAUSE THAT SOUNDS LIKE A COMPELLING AS FUCK CHARACTER TO PLAY!!!"

Fuck, this makes me angry....

Y'know what? DON'T eject the guy. Express to the other characters that it would be great to flip the board a little, start an evil campaign, have all of your characters pull an Anakin Skywalker and turn evil for no fucking reason and worship a dark, unfathomable god that demands the blood and suffering of ANYTHING that identifies as 'Neutral'!
MAKE. HIM. CRY.
Thread posts: 347
Thread images: 39

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.