[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/40krpg/ 40k Roleplay General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 324
Thread images: 54

File: Dark Heresy Doom.jpg (70KB, 409x400px) Image search: [Google]
Dark Heresy Doom.jpg
70KB, 409x400px
"Pretentious Elitism" Edition

For all your questions on Dark Heresy (1st and 2nd Editions), Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, Black Crusade, and Only War.
Not the wargame, not Chapter Master, not Space Hulk. Inquisitor is okay, but not many people know about it.

Not sure between starting Dark Heresy 1e and 2e? Pick 2e.

>Why did FFG lose the 40k RPG License?
Because they were bought by Asmodee and that caused some sort of licensing conflict.

>Will GW make their own 40k RPGs now?
Probably not. But if they do it will likely be worse than you could possibly imagine.

Book Repositories (If you're planning to download any Rogue Trader materials, read the .txt file in the RT directory)
https://mega.nz/#F!Pl0UgbJa!vDtTXMKnvZ26fUbuw4X9tg

There is a new Homebrew Megafolder option in above MEGA directory containing several things.

40K RPG tools, a site that contains stats or references for almost all weapons, armor and NPCs/adversaries. Not updated past DH2 core.
http://www.40krpgtools.com/

40k RPG Combined Armory (v6.48.161023), containing every piece of gear in all five lines. Now includes all DH2e books.
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/i3akv9qx9q05z

The Good, the Bad, and the Alpha Legion (v1.0.0) (Total Conversion Deathwatch into the Horus Heresy)
http://www.mediafire.com/file/sbaiodixbeoxxd1

Mars Needs Women! (v1.2.15) (Mechanicus Skitarii and Taghmata for Only War)
http://www.mediafire.com/file/w1d6aq5cdr6anmh

Fear and Loathing in the Eastern Fringe (V1.6.4) (Playable Xenos for Rogue Trader)
http://www.mediafire.com/download/fjhddohpscx1d7x

The Fringe is Yours! (v1.8.13) (More Xenos, Knights, and Horus Heresy gear for Rogue Trader)
http://www.mediafire.com/file/d28i243u2k7di3z

Prev: >>54125556

As a player, or as a GM, what do you see as your greatest accomplishment in the system?
>>
Reminder that Nemesis the Warlock is the grandpappy of Warhammer 40K:

>>54185940
>>
Do daemons have a concept of gratefulness or similar?

For instance, if a BC party created an unbound daemonhost purely so the daemon can do whatever it wants, would it not attack them?
>>
>>54190335

No, it would still hate them for sticking it into a host.
>>
File: MQO_class_planet__by_Voyager212.jpg (329KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
MQO_class_planet__by_Voyager212.jpg
329KB, 1024x768px
Please give me a planet with something interesting going on, and at least some kind of armed conflict, but that my characters won't have to "solve" or create any lasting effects on.
>>
>>54190335
>Do daemons have a concept of gratefulness or similar?

I'd say Daemons only have very, very limited concepts of gratefulness, especially towards mortals - and one definitely wouldn't be grateful for being imprisoned inside a shitty and painful mortal body, not unless it has specific plans or goals that it can only carry out in such form. Also goes without saying that only a sufficiently intelligent/nuanced daemon would even find itself in a situation where gratitude may be a factor in the first place.

As for potentially existing daemonic gratitude, There must be a lot of individual variety, but the Big Four's daemons probably each have their own general disposition.

Nurgle's daemons are probably the most jovial of all, perhaps the most human-like when it comes to gratitude, however, they are most likely to express this gratefulness by granting the human various gifts of Granpappy Nurgle, which the human in question may, or may not want, and may or may not die horribly to.

Slaneesh's daemons can probably feel grateful for either being shown a new exhilaration (if mortals can ever achieve such a thing), or being given an utterly free avenue to spread excess and madness (attempts to control them probably quickly nix it) - of course, their gratitude is probably shallow, limited to either empty promises, or is a honeypot to lure the mortal in question ever deeper into Slaneesh's service.

Khorne's daemons are probably the least likely to be grateful for anything, depending on whether their disposition is that of "mindless bloodletting fiend" or "honorable psychopath". Even the honorable ones' gratitude probably just means they restrain themselves, or hand out some manner of honor from Khorne.

Tzeentch daemons are probably eager to show gratitude, and equally eager to afterwards backstab or fuck you over at the earliest convenience - their gratitude is invariably either a trap, or part of a scheme.
>>
File: Gas Giant.png (1MB, 1536x801px) Image search: [Google]
Gas Giant.png
1MB, 1536x801px
>>54190643
Here's one you can use from a story I've been working on. But it requires you to:
A) Be able to play up the physics of a gas giant that humans should absolutely not be living on (which they are anyway)
B) Not mind/Enjoy/be able to work around the rampant steampunk aesthetics of the locals

>Crown Joule
A gas giant in the Ultima Segmentum (I haven't bothered yet to name the system or sector, so go crazy). Crown Joule has been of extreme interest to the Adeptus Mechanicus in the past millennium after the discovery of new and impossible chemicals and compounds in its atmosphere never before studied. After settling the planet's upper atmosphere, where there is a "safe" oxygen stratum, the techpriests discovered massive constructs floating in the lower layers. Infiltrating these "dirigibles" revealed they were airborne Necron vessels – not tombs, but processing stations transforming the planet from its natural state into something else over the past eons. Thankfully, the Mechanicus have since been reinforced by Imperial Guard regiments, specifically the Praetorions for maximum dapper britishness. Deeper into the planet, toward it's core, however, the storms, gravity and toxins get inhospitably worse, and the Necrons do battle with the inhabitants of a corrupted space hulk that has inexplicably found itself embedded into the rocky core of the planet. Possessed mainly by Slaaneshi daemons, the hulk is doing something profane to the planet. Only the Eldar Harlequins, a "flying circus" if you will, know what's really going on, and are more than happy to lend exposition to the human settlers with a few strings attached.

spoiler, the Necrons are trying to transform Crown Joule into a brand new C'tan entity. What they plan on doing with it after it's born (if it's even possible) is a matter of speculation that won't be solved any time soon, but either way the Slaaneshi daemons are trying to euthanize, or worse, hijack this proto-C'tan for Chaos.
>>
>>54190643
Armageddon
>>
File: Baby's first Warp travel.gif (2MB, 200x174px) Image search: [Google]
Baby's first Warp travel.gif
2MB, 200x174px
>>54191006
>steampunk
Absolutely not
>Techpriest Cloud City
>Necron Blimps
>Space Hulk inside a planet
>Harlequins
Okay, maybe
>>
File: Gaze Upon This.jpg (135KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Gaze Upon This.jpg
135KB, 1920x1080px
>>54191006
You know after all these years I've never once thought about that. I mean, did the Necrontyr mechanize all of the C'tan in the galaxy? Are there any still out there, unmolested by technology? Can more C'tan ever be born at a later time or is their species all but extinct now?

Either way, the idea of Necrons trying to artificially make more of them isn't bad. A new C'tan could tip the balance of power completely in the favor of a single opportunistic deity. I'm stealing it.
>>
File: The Pillar.jpg (119KB, 622x469px) Image search: [Google]
The Pillar.jpg
119KB, 622x469px
>>54190643
How about a fuck-huge space station instead?

Screengrabbed because the description went beyond character limit.
>>
File: I'm so embarrassed.jpg (14KB, 500x335px) Image search: [Google]
I'm so embarrassed.jpg
14KB, 500x335px
>>54191333
>deity
A shit, I meant to say dynasty.
>>
File: Do you even Lift?.jpg (64KB, 644x245px) Image search: [Google]
Do you even Lift?.jpg
64KB, 644x245px
>>54191365
You deserve that typo you dirty thief!
>>
>>54190643
You could at least specify some details about the world you'd like so we know you've put at least a little thought into it on your end. The way you've worded it it sounds like you don't feel like thinking and just want us to do all your prep work for you.
>>
File: Squig Trukk.jpg (100KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
Squig Trukk.jpg
100KB, 600x600px
>>54190643
My group was a big fan of a place called Squigtopia:
>ork world with a small human encampment of survivalists
>something on the planet makes the squigs grow so virulently and gargantuan and super-aggressive that the orks have an incredibly hard time controlling them.
>the entire Waaagh! that conquered the planet has been reduced to a few vestigial camps and landing zones (offworld orks hear about the big game hunting on the planet and still crash down to the planet to have a piece every once in a while)
>plenty of overgrown ork/imperial ruins from ages past and treasure to be looted from them
It's basically Jurassic Park or Skull Island but with orks.
>>
>>54191550
That's exactly what I want you to do
>>
>>54191574
Well, you've got three earnest (you)s, guess I can't blame you if it works.
>>
Desperately seeking another game to play in.

Additionally, has anyone ever run a game set during the Horus Heresy, how has it worked out for you?
>>
>>54191762
>run a game set during the Horus Heresy

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>54191762
Well what are you looking for? Text or voice based? What system(s)?
>>
>>54192618
Will do either text or voice based, looking for anything except maybe Deathwatch.
>>
>>54191762

I've had players visit there a couple times, and I've had players essentially become Legionaries, Consuls, and Praetors over time, but I've never set a game there from the start.
>>
>>54192618
I'd be interested in a text based game, if there's anything happening.
>>
File: administrum-tile.jpg (143KB, 720x526px) Image search: [Google]
administrum-tile.jpg
143KB, 720x526px
Where do yall get your floor plans from? I'm running a sort of free form Only War session where I left players behind enemy lines and they need to figure out a way out, and I need quick floor plans on the fly.
>>
>>54196636

The books already have some floor plans. I also look at zone mortalis maps in FW books.
>>
>>54188434
>As a player, or as a GM, what do you see as your greatest accomplishment in the system?
actually getting to play it again.
>>
>>54190643
>Please give me a planet with something interesting going on, and at least some kind of armed conflict, but that my characters won't have to "solve" or create any lasting effects on.
just about each and every world in the screaming vortex.
>>
>>54192753
>>54195149
I think I might be able to run either a Dark-Eldar themed RT game or a regular BC one on Mondays around 2pm EDT. Text w/ roll20 and discord. Would that work for either of you? I suppose I should also post in gamefinder later if there's interest.
>>
Do servitors work in wet environments or even underwater or do I have to come up with a statline for an amphibious servitor?
>>
>>54200490
IIRC they're basically lobotomized humans. How far said procedure goes depends on what the servitor's going to be used for. That waste processing plant ain't gunna run itself. Someone (or something) has to shovel all that shit.
>>
>>54188434
>As a player, or as a GM, what do you see as your greatest accomplishment in the system?

Being able to keep a coherent IRL Rogue Trader campaign going, with at times year-long periods between sessions, for the last five years, and not totally losing what the plot has been about.
>>
>>54200490
Servitors have the Machine trait generally, so they don't need to breathe. But a Servitor will be specifically built if its supposed to work underwater to protect its electronics and what not. Servitors are basically robots with meat-parts after all.
>>
>>54200577
>>54200630
Well, one of my OW players wants to play as an Enginseer Prime on a world with so little land that cybernetic gills are standard equipment in the regiment. I'm not very well versed in engineering but I suppose salt water, humidity and jungles are not easy on metal.
>>
>>54200645
Not overtime, no. But considering the technological mastery of the AdMech and the environment, they've probably solved that issue through whatever technobabble that's necessary. Unless you want to make a narrative point out of deteriorating equipment and what not that is.
>>
>>54191762

marines vs marines, how exciting...
>>
File: Colonel! What's going on here!.jpg (280KB, 1258x707px) Image search: [Google]
Colonel! What's going on here!.jpg
280KB, 1258x707px
Hey anons, any of you willing to give me some ideas/critiques for my Black Crusade game?
The basic premise is this:
>Protagonists escape a massive space battle by fleeing into the Screaming Vortex
>Crash on a planet divided among cults of the 4 major Chaos Gods, as well as weird lesser factions
>There's a gigantic starcraft/Space Hulk physically "chained" to the planet floating in the sky, and for some reason escape from the planet is super difficult
>Prophesy says whoever can unite the servants of chaos/is clever enough can find a way to unchain the starcraft and escape/lead a Black Crusade

This is just sort of the starting point of the campaign. If the players like the planet enough, I can have the McGuffin in the sky be their end goal, but I think they're mostly just going to try and find a clever way off world, which I'll also make possible.
What I'm having trouble with is coming up with clever ideas for leaders devoted to each of the Gods.
So far I've got
>Oenac the Blasted: Champion of Slaanesh, cursed by the goddess to have his senses blunted save sight and hearing. He's a stocky, broad shouldered, incredibly dense figure. He wears a leathery substance that conforms tightly to his body, showing his physique in all its vascular detail. The only glimpse of his flesh that can be seen are his twin rows of small, sharp teeth and his blazing golden eyes.
>Oenac rules the Ebon City, the largest and most fortified permanent settlement on the planet. He's so confident in his dominance that worshipers of other gods are allowed within his realm, and some even serve him directly.

(Cont)
>>
>>54203937
(Cont)
>Semiramis the Brass Queen: Champion of Khorne, she leads the Brazen Legion, an army of ten thousand chaos corrupted war robots. Highly augmented and a formidable combatant, Semiramis has not yet become a mindless killer in service of the blood god and sees herself as his honorable champion, always seeking worthy foes and targets for her raids.
>The Brazen Legion is highly nomadic, followed always by a long train of Hereteks, human aspirants, and assorted hangers on. Some are even survivors of the Brazen Legion's raids, seeking protection in the shadows of the devastating mechanical warriors.

I have literally no idea what to do for a Nurgle champion, and the only thing I know about the Tzeentch champion is that he is, expectedly, extremely sneaky and manipulative. I'm open to any suggestions/fluff you guys might have. I'm particularly interested in non-Astartes/non-Demon chaos leaders of various kinds, but really anything would help to get me rolling.
For non-aligned/lesser factions:
>There is at least one small scout unit of Alpha Legion, operating in the area for reasons unknown and occasionally aiding one faction or another
>The Dark Eldar occasionally raid/trade with the planet. How they come and go is a mystery to the locals, but probably due to some Webway fuckery.
>There are small settlements of humans and mutants, mostly living at a primitive level. They're comparatively peaceful, though they do worship Chaos and can be riled up into raiding each other.
>Cyclopean ruins dot the coasts that are said to be nexuses of Warp Power, their origins unknown. Some say they have seen whole cities made in a similar style sunk deep within the depths of the sea, but any attempts to find them have met with failure or never been heard from again.

Also, generally is this concept too cliche? I feel like "the 4 factions fight for dominance" is kind of typical for a Black Crusade game. I'm trying to think of ways to spice it up a little.
>>
>>54204094
>>54203937

I love the "spaceship literally chained to the planet" thing, feels like a thing Chaos would do.
and you know what, to inspire you, I'm gonna share the Tzeentchian and Nurglite characters I've come up with in a similar vein for my own homebrew planet in the Vortex for an old BC campaign. The planet in question had a single, advanced and civilized (well, by the standards of the Vortex it was) city built around an archaeotech space port, and the rest was mostly lawless wilderness - as such, the four top dogs of the Big Four in my case operated on a lesser power level.

>Doctor Bubo
Since neither the powers in charge of the city, nor the other gods' followers tolerate Nurgle's gifts and blessings in their midst, the good doctor does his charitable work deep in the bowels of what once was a far larger metropolis in ancient times. He dedicated his life to helping those the cutthroat city above would throw out - the sick, the dying, the forsaken. Those who have nowhere to turn need only brave the underground tunnels to find the the good doctor and his flock - he will be sure to feed them, care for them, nurse them back from the brink of death, and cure all their ailments. Thus, Doctor Bubo, a corpulent man with the smile of Nurgle himself, still drapped in what once was the attire of a man dedicated to combatting all of Nurgle's diseases, leads the ever-growing community of those who made this pilgrimage of desperation. Blessed by the Plaguefather, they are a genuinely caring, tight-knit community of deformed, hideous mutants bearing all the various blessings of the Plaguefather, and welcoming every new soul who only wishes for a place to belong.
[
cont.)
>>
>>54204094
>Krannock of the Many Buboes. Leader of the Plagued Citadel
>Mostly sits on a mechanized chaise lounge, eating rotten delicacies while delegating most things to his underlings
>His body hangs over the sides of the lounge in waves of rolls
>Completely covered in buboes, scabs, sores, pus, it's only through the lack of sensation that he can even move
>He can actually move quite well for a giant fat sack of pus
>Doesn't really go beyond his borders, mostly stagnates on his quarter
>>
File: lovely_people.jpg (651KB, 1932x1368px) Image search: [Google]
lovely_people.jpg
651KB, 1932x1368px
>>54204574

>Master Tullian
Once, he was an Astropath. Soul-bound to the hated False Emperor, his very eyes burned by gazing upon the corpse on the Throne. How he rid himself of the parasitic influence of mankind's false god is unknown, but the price must have been hefty - where there were once charred eye sockets, now the darkness from among the stars looks through.
No one is sure of Master Tullian's exact capabilities - he leads a relatively humble life, seemingly the master of only a single hab-building in the city, the House of the Golden Door. Of course, only select individuals may dwell within the hab, and they invariably come to serve Tullian in one way or the other. The man himself is a wiry, old man wearing fine, if simplistic clothing. The only adornments are the symbols of Tzeentch he bears. However, once one gazes upon his face, they'll hardly notice the rows of razor-sharp teeth next to the pure malicious darkness emanating from his empty eyesockets. A powerful diviner (this much of his powers is known) everyone is free to visit him in the House of the Golden Door, and if he grants you an audience, (and you pay right price for his service) he will tell what you want to - or what you need to - hear, be it past, present, or future.

>Pic related: an old and shitey doodle I made of these two for the players to gawk at
>>
>>54201645
Is it not gritty and low power enough for you?
Unhappy you can't bring your oh so cool REGULAR HUMAN who happens to have all kinds of archeotech on him and can fight astartes and daemons on their own level because of his COURAGE and WILL and BURNING HEART?
Fuck outta here, you faggot.
>>
>>54204749
>I hate actual deep characters and masturbate to rolling from BIG NUMBAHS

neck yourself you powergaming ass licker
>>
>>54205137
>I limit my character understanding because /tg/ told me X must be Y
There is a reason Deathwatch is routinely the most fucked up game to play, and it's not because of the mechanics.
It's the autistic players who fundamentally do not understand the material.
>>
>>54190643
Mammon.
Start playing Black Crusade, it's good.
>>
>>54188434

I've figured out how to make interesting boss fight mechanics without resorting to Bullet Sponges.

Seriously, combat mechanics in this game are brutal to the point where there's a very thin line between god of war and schmuck, so devising a challenging fight that wouldn't instantly reduce the entire party to mulch is amazing to me.
>>
File: 1475537445292.jpg (160KB, 960x713px) Image search: [Google]
1475537445292.jpg
160KB, 960x713px
>>54204709
>>54204574
>>54204731
Thanks guys! I really appreciate it. It's got the wheels turning for me in a big way.
>>
>>54200397
Eh ... I'd need something anywhere from 7pm your time onwards, otherwise I'd be asleep.
>>
File: spec_ops_the_line.jpg (203KB, 650x350px) Image search: [Google]
spec_ops_the_line.jpg
203KB, 650x350px
>Only War
>Regiment is deployed to a desert/hive world, where one of the hives was hit by a massive storm and left destroyed. Their job is to explore the hive and take it back
>It is believed that the local feral Ork population has swarmed the hive in the wake of the storm, so expect to have fierce resistance
>The last regiment deployed there has gone silent, and no one knows what has happened
>Things go as expected at first, fighting Orks. Signs of the last regiment having been slaughtered are found, but is at first attributed to the Orks.

>Soon enough, however, a voice begins to communicate across the radio, taunting the regiment. And then people start dying.

>Turns out there's someone stalking anyone who encroaches on the ruins, picking them apart piece by piece. The feral Orks are terrified of him, and no one's really sure who, or what, he is. But the transmissions keep coming, and people keep dying.

>Regiment must attempt to complete their mission while dealing with this enemy, whoever it is.

Sound like a good idea for a Only War campaign?
>>
I have a habit when I'm bored of going to TvTropes, hitting random a few times, and making a character out of what I get.
Today I got:
"Witch Hunter",
"Bling Bling Bang",
and "Camp Gay".

So... any ideas on how to make a flamboyantly gay Ordos Hereticus Inquisitor?
>>
File: happy computer.jpg (15KB, 420x300px) Image search: [Google]
happy computer.jpg
15KB, 420x300px
>>54188434
>as a GM, what do you see as your greatest accomplishment in the system?

Contacting and uniting as many former players as I could from three different teams from three different games over the years, in one session, to fight alongside and support each other in the semi-final battle of the campaign. That definitely made me feel warm and fuzzy inside, and everyone seemed to enjoy it well enough.
>>
File: FUCK YOU Van Darkholme.jpg (87KB, 700x396px) Image search: [Google]
FUCK YOU Van Darkholme.jpg
87KB, 700x396px
>>54208781

Betrayed by his subordinates at the height of his greatest triumph, Inquisitor Van Darkholme seeks only revenge against the treacherous heretics who turned against him.
>>
So do people use Calixis Sector (and the surrounding add-ons for Only War, Death Watch, etc) or do they use the new Askellon sector introduced in DH2 or do they use their own sectors?

I'm mainly curious about what people who run Dark Heresy and Only War are doing since those tend to be the ones that need to have more fluff around them.
>>
>>54208921
Calixis 4 lyfe for me
>>
>>54208849
why did you make me google that, Shas?
>>
>>54208921
I gloss over any attempt to determine what sector my campaigns are in, so that I don't have to think about it. Every week I live in mortal fear that someone will point out that it took twice as long to get to planet A as it did to planet B despite them being half as far apart, but so far, my players don't care enough to notice.
>>
File: The Future You Chose.gif (2MB, 606x423px) Image search: [Google]
The Future You Chose.gif
2MB, 606x423px
>>54208921

I'm preferential to using the Tiji and other sectors made by everyone here. They just seem to flow a bit better, and some of the planets can get downright bizarre sometimes.

>>54209013

This is your life now.
>>
File: dark secret.png (53KB, 784x331px) Image search: [Google]
dark secret.png
53KB, 784x331px
>>54208781
He should specialize in infiltrating Slaaneshi cults by going to dance clubs and raves until he gets deep, deep into the weird sex rings, at which point he brings down the heresy hammer. Other Inquisitors hate him, but he's damn good at what he does.
And his Carouse skill should be off the fuckin charts.
>>
>>54209160
>And his Carouse skill should be off the fuckin charts.
>Carouse, to take all the drugs
>not Sleight Of Hand, to pretend to take all the drugs
>>
>>54209255
Oh no, I think he should take the drugs. He enjoys the lifestyle, and walks the very edge between infiltration and actual corruption. But he knows it's only a matter of time before he crosses that line and his soul is forfeit, and that his excuses that he does it for his Imperium and his god will be peeled away to reveal that he can't give it up.
He accepts this with a weary fatalism, hidden beneath a thick layer of perpetual cheer and energy, a thick lisp and a limp wrist.
>>
>>54206849
Yes
>>
Obviously a jump pack is incompatible with a tech-harness; do you guys think a jump pack would be incompatible with a servo-arm in general as they're always shown as a backpack attachment for Astartes?

Asking as I'm throwing together a Deathwatch game ATM; one of the players is playing a Techmarine though I think the group as a whole wants to have a CC focus.
>>
>>54209520
>walks the very edge between infiltration and actual corruption
Taking all the drugs is not walking a line, it's stepping over it.
>>
>>54208921

The Screaming Vortex is low-key an amazing setting, with it cribbing from the Divine Comedy, as well as multiple other sources, with a lot of attention to 40k lore in general. And many of the worlds in it are very unique. And then it throws shade on that very "The Screaming Vortex is Hell" idea in Tome of Blood with this quote:

“Some fool once asked me if the Screaming Vortex was the
afterlife. I asked him if he thought it was a punishment or a
reward, then killed him to prove my point.”
–Captain Elga Irontooth of the Brass Reaver
>>
>>54209865
Why do they think the techmarine isn't CC compatible? Let them pinch someone with that servo arm, then reconsider.
>>
>>54209918
I mean, if that's true, what is the point of the carouse skill at all outside of black crusade?
>>
>>54210351

They removed the Carouse skill and replaced it with Toughness tests in BC on.

Taking drugs for recreational purposes is fine in moderation; it's taking it in excess that leads one down the path to Slaanesh.

>>54210345

It's not that they don't think a Techmarine is CC compatible. Quite the opposite, anyone who's read the rules knows exactly what a Servo-Arm can do. It's more that I, as the GM, am not sure that Servo-Arms are compatible with jump packs.
>>
>>54210478
I know there is a jump pack for techpriests in OW that doesn't interfere with other stuff.

If all else fails, does the book and the errata actually say that the two can't be used together?
>>
>>54210351
To handle your drink, resist poisons, etc

That's when Carouse hasn't been removed as a *skill* entirely.

Not to ride out your Slaaneshi cult sex drug overdose.
>>
>>54210478
>It's more that I, as the GM, am not sure that Servo-Arms are compatible with jump packs.
Ahh. Well, take a look at the Hawk Lord jump packs. I wouldn't worry about it too much.
>>
>>54211272

Who makes those? Where can I find pics?
>>
>>54201645
Uh, I actually think Marines vs Marines is kinda exciting? It basically becomes flashy anime combat at that point which is cool.
>>
>>54200397
Would absolutely be interested in either, reg preferred I think. Can do 2pm, but evening would be optimal.
>>
File: come and see.jpg (177KB, 800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
come and see.jpg
177KB, 800x1200px
>>54206849
I would probably go more "Predator" than "Heart of Darkness", but whatever floats your boat...
Or combine both, if you feel like being AWESOME.
>>54208781
Noble born Inquisitor who comes from a rather repressed culture. Being gay doesn't really matter, but ostentation of any sort and openly displays of affection are strictly taboo. Being space-Oscar Wilde, he therefore wears the most outrageously guilded weaponry, even by Imperial standards, and openly flirts with every handsome fellow he comes across.
Despite his glib persona, he's an incredibly devout man with strong Monodominant leanings. "The only thing worse than being talked about... IS BLASPHEMY AGAINST THE GOD-EMPEROR! YOU WILL BURN FOR YOUR SINS YOU UNGRATEFUL HERETIC-and not being talked about!"
>>54208921
Calixis big time. It's a great setting. I love seeing how messed up Imperial space is even when it's not being actively attacked by Orks and other monsters. Also, there are tons of fun NPCs.
>>
>>54211490
No idea about pics, but they're a chapter relic in one of the deathwatch books.
>>
>>54212537
>I would probably go more "Predator" than "Heart of Darkness", but whatever floats your boat...

I think Heart has more roleplaying opportunities. Predator just comes down to, say, having a non-Lictor hunting the party at various times, there's no real interaction beyond combat with it.
>>
>>54188434
Does this count as 40K roleplay
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkN4gcOko5k
>>
File: Kp6RN00.png (46KB, 1200x1314px) Image search: [Google]
Kp6RN00.png
46KB, 1200x1314px
>>54214179
>>
>>54209042
>worrying about time/distance variance
>warp travel
>>
File: H1OJEu8.jpg (979KB, 987x1149px) Image search: [Google]
H1OJEu8.jpg
979KB, 987x1149px
>>54188434
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkN4gcOko5k
>>
So, question, anons: what do you do if your PCs ship gives them so many bonus Achievement Points that they go over the required number of Achievement Points needed to complete an Endeavour just by showing up?

For instance, if the PCs are undertaking a Broker Peace Between The Power Blocks Lesser Endeavour, which requires 700 Achievement Points, has the Trade, Military, and Creed themes for each of its three Objectives, and they've got a ship that gives +575 Trade, +150 Military, and +300 Creed. Do they just show up, spend a scene or two locating and talking to the people in charge, and then broker the peace agreement and walk away with +1 Profit Factor as easily as that?

Also, from what I can tell, these bonus points are awarded for each Objective individually; wouldn't this mean that if your ship is sufficiently capable, completing much more significant Endeavors is fairly trivial because you're stacking the same +300 Achievement Point bonus over and over again?
>>
>>54212537
>space-Oscar Wilde

Interesting. Can you point me anywhere that might help me roleplay that? The only thing I really know about Oscar Wilde is that he wrote the Picture of Dorian Gray.
>>
>>54214763

don't use achievement points. They suck that way.
>>
>>54214949
Have you tried ... The Internet™?
>>
File: Imperator's angellus.png (763KB, 1600x1400px) Image search: [Google]
Imperator's angellus.png
763KB, 1600x1400px
>>54214949
He was extremely witty. He took nothing seriously, and yet he cared passionately about certain things. He was a man obsessed with surface level appearance, who mocked society's obsession with surface appearances.
Give "The Importance of Being Earnest" a try. It's short and quite, quite funny, and I think it'll give you a solid insight into who Wilde was as a person and what he cared about.
Also, just going through a list of his quotes should be illuminating.
Basically, he was a hilarious, rude, rakish character who was always the life the party, but beneath the surface he was actually extremely passionate and scathingly critical of society's flaws.
I think playing against the expected and making him a Puritan, rather than a Radical, could be a lot of fun.
>>
>>54208921

I paid money for those books, it wouldn't feel right if I didnt use the steeings within them.
>>
I was running Rejoice for You are True adventure from Purge the Unclean book. There was an NPC named Theodosia with pretty awesome cybernetic body. My players managed to kill him in his first appearance by chopping his head off with a lot of excessive damage while he was grappled. Now they have unscratched body with augmetics that allow to make two Full Actions per turn, gives immunity to Bloodloss, 5AP to anything except head and some more cool bonuses. Now one of them want to burn one of his Fate Points to make this body his own (to put his brain into this awesome machinery). Any thoughts?
>>
>>54215972

Make it self destruct. The players shouldnt have that much power.
>>
>>54215972
In short: screw that, unless you want a little astartes rendering the other party members observers in combat.
Similar to the Halo device, I'd consider it having some benefits initially, after a challenging or worse WP test to avoid corruption but a unavoidable hit to sanity because a whole new body.
After a few hours or close to a day the mechanical parts acts outside of the player's control, legs and arms acting up at inopportune times. As if it has a mind of its own it wrestles with the user, new WP tests for corruption (harder than the previous), unavoidable sanity hit. They should realize this is a grave mistake by now.
If the new head is outside of the Cult Mechanicus, tech-priests who can cast more than a glance at the player accuse them of some severe tech-heresy, they will have to use “We are the Emperor’s Inquisition” card or avoid the Adeptus Mechanicus.
If it is a tech-priest who want the body they can fairly easily tell this isn’t a body their kin would approve of, and neither should the prospecting character, unless they are a radical.
Their report should also be a fun read for their inquisitor. “We killed a cult member with powerful bionics so we cut off “insert character name”’s head and attached it to this new body.”
>>
>>54216883
>unless you want a little astartes rendering the other party members observers in combat.

Actually player who want it is the most useless acolyte in combat I've ever seen. He is slow as snail with terrible Agility (barely AB2), low Toughness (TB3 after couple of advances) and mediocre WS and BS. Yet he's always first to hit in close combat (at least he want to). Party assassin always have to save his skin. Only reason he's still alive - many useful non-combat skills.
>>
>>54217150
They would have an equivalent of power armour as they would wear armour over their new body, finding something with only 3 additional AP being fairly easy.
Giving him a tool to catch-up now will very likely let him run away from the rest of the party in usefulness.

So when the rest of the party feels useless and his opposition melt like butter, remember: Necrons.
>>
I have a idea for a mission or series of missions for an Only War campaign I'm making that hinges on one thing.

Is there a Legion of the Damned Space Marine stat block and if not, how would you guys make one?
>>
>>54218878

Honor the Chapter. It's a template you stick on a character.
>>
>>54218878

>playing marines

eww
>>
>>54221438
>enjoying things
I hope you shiggydiggy, you pleb
>>
File: I had Fun once and it was awful.jpg (24KB, 233x280px) Image search: [Google]
I had Fun once and it was awful.jpg
24KB, 233x280px
>>54221450
>>
File: 1275678422440.jpg (208KB, 486x731px) Image search: [Google]
1275678422440.jpg
208KB, 486x731px
give me short stories about your games
>>
>>54221438
>Only War campaign

hurfity durr
>>
>>54221953
I have lots.

Ladies and gentlemen, I present the tales of Cell 29. Who wishes to hear what?

>The Piety Case
>The Joyous Choir Investigation (modified run of the Rejoice For You Are True published adventure)
>Scintilla Shenanigans Side-quests
>The Metallican Mystery
>The Brazen Sky Interdiction
>The Dusk Investigation

Pick a story, any story.

Pick a tale and I'll tell what all I can recall.
>>
>>54221953
Once upon a time, there was a Rogue Trader with a terrible secret: he never actually had a warrant of trade. He had stolen the identity of a Rogue Trader who he'd accidentally killed, and never figured out where the warrant was. Still, he managed to scrape underneath notice and eke out a meager living (for a Rogue Trader, he still had a ship and a colony or two) at the fringe of things.
After his latest group of dudes got slaughtered capturing a Tyranid Warrior for some shady dealings, he hired some new crew, who promptly not-so-accidentally killed him, and set out to find his Warrant, only to discover that he never had one.
So now they must find a way to either maintain the illusion he kept up for years with the added layer of pretending he's not dead, or somehow manage to get a new warrant, or get enlisted by the Inquisition and turn into a Dark Heresy game.
But right now they're all in jail so they're probably just fucked.
>>
>>54223394
The Metallican Mystery plz
>>
File: doomguy.jpg (96KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
doomguy.jpg
96KB, 512x512px
>>54219175
Excellent. Thank you.

>>54221438
Its for an npc, anon. The plan is for the guardsmen to meet one of these guys who helps them get out of a perilous situation involving hordes of daemons.
>>
>>54223509
Very well.

To understand this tale and where it's going, I must first introduce the acolytes that make up Cell 29.

>Ioudas, a blender-happy swordsman from Sepheris Secundus, the biggest shitpile planet in the Calixis Sector. Ioudas's dad was a baron who got taken down for conspiring against the crown and he was taken as a child and turned into a member of the Royal Scourges, the crown's private army, as penance for his family's crimes. He likes to murder.
>Lamiss Velsher, a sanctioned psyker born on an Imperial Navy warship to a noble family with a history of raising loyal officers. The team's designated telepath and living artillery, and also the nicest person on the entire team. She likes pirated media.
>Zulf Aronas, a frontier worlder from Sinophia who can safely be summed up as a guy from Space Poland who fucking hated his rock. The father of two kids killed by a rogue psyker, Zulf wound up a witch-hunter with the Adeptus Astra Telepathica. His job was originally to keep Lamiss in line, but he's since been elevated to Cell Leader by the team's patron Inquisitor on the grounds he's the only one on the team without divided loyalties and he's also the only sane man.
>Ferrus Dariel, a Mechanicus Skitarii trooper with medical training whose patron Magos Biologis got killed by a daemonic plague while their ship was in the Warp. Ferrus was forced to salvage and use his old boss's cerebral implants to save the ship from the virus, and was requested by the Inquisition - both to save him from his Mechanicus bosses disappearing him, and also because the Magos in question was an old friend of Cell 29's Inquisitor.

So, with that foundation laid, the team's inclinations are largely Radicals Minoris, meaning they don't go hardcore daemon summoning, but they've bent their fair share of rules more than once on the sly - an attitude their Inquisitor endorses.
>>
>>54223857
Now, with that series of introductions, let's set the stage.

In the aftermath of Cell 29's investigation into the Joyous Choir and subsequent two-week vacation in Hive Sibellus, they were contacted by an ally they'd made during the Joyour Choir case - a noble from Gunmetal City called Sorkat Authwaite (an NPC from Rejoice For You Are True who had a bit role in the pre-gen as-written that I expanded when I ran it). Basically, Ferrus had provoked a duel with a House Krin heir (House Krin being Space Rothchilds in the Calixis Sector) that ended in the heir's demise.

To get a sense of how Ferrus rolls, this duel was a distraction so the rest of the team could creep around and snoop for clues where the duel was happening.

Yeah. 'We need a distraction, so I'll kill a major noble house's heir.' This actually worked out great in the long run, but we'll get to that later. Anyways, where Authwaite fits into that is that because he was a noble, he was instrumental in making the duel legal and then picking Ferrus as the guy to fight in his place, and because Authwaite helped the team out, he figured he was owed a favor. He gave the favor over to a Magos of the Divine Light of Sollex, a subsect of the Mechanicus that specialized in creating plasma and lasweapons. The Magos was another NPC the party had done business with recently, and Authwaite and the Magos had actually met through that mutual connection.

The Magos's request was simple: Go to Gunmetal City and track down this one other Magos who had gone rogue and swiped a relic weapon, the plasma pistol Azurewrath, before fleeing into the Metallican underhive.
>>
>>54208802
>Contacting and uniting as many former players as I could from three different teams from three different games over the years, in one session, to fight alongside and support each other in the semi-final battle of the campaign.

This feels so wrong to do. It's a betrayal of trust. And I can't even fathom different players all working together like that. LITERALLY how?
>>
>>54224027
The party wasn't in a position to refuse, considering they owed the guy involved and had recently hoodwinked the Magos and some of his men into helping them out by providing security for some noble benefactors who were helping with the case while the team went looking for the bad guys' hideout. The Magos had figured out the game plan and was none too pleased at the time, but was willing to let it slide because the team's clear aptitude at conspiracy-busting presented an opportunity to wrap up this Azurewrath mess without getting his hands dirty.

Anyways, the team takes a shuttle ride over to Gunmetal City and is greeted by Authwaite and some of his bodyguards in person before being given a brief tour of the Authwaite estate and Fane Westinkrup, one of the Metallican forge-conglomerates that made the guns that Gunmetal City is famous for. Turned out Authwaite had a second motive for ensuring the party came over to his neck of the woods - he had a pet project that he wanted Ferrus to take a look at for him. It was a variant lasgun pattern that had some design flaws. The Magos the party was working for at the time had signed off on the project, but it wasn't measuring up to what was already on the market there, and with tech-patterns being so tightly controlled in the Imperium, Authwaite was paranoid about cutting corners and accidentally committing major tech-heresy.

Cue Ferrus turning it into a purpose-built, efficient, niche weapon with some Trade (Armorer) rolls that fucking nailed it. Turned out Authwaite was in hot water because Krin buys Fane Westinkrup guns for their bodyguards, and his involvement in the heir's death directly resulted in some problems for his business partners. So Authwaite had to unfuck shit posthaste, and wanted Ferrus to help buy off the family with fancy custom-crafted ceremonial weapons.

All of this is of secondary note to the adventure itself, but worth mentioning for where it goes later. We'll come back to this.
>>
>>54224153
>>54224153
Now, onto the actual investigation. The team had very little to actually work with apart from the fact that the renegade Magos (a former member of the Divine Light of Sollex by the name of Roland Morl) who swiped the relic weapon would've needed a way to keep it cool down in the Metallican underhive.

Right, for the unaware, Gunmetal City is built on top of Mount Thollos.

Mount Thollos being an active volcano on Scintilla.

Yes, they built a hive-city that mass-produces nothing but firearms of varying types, the Mecca of More Dakka...on an active. Fucking. Volcano.

So with that fact in mind, it's a safe bet any metal weaponry down in the underhive (called the Infernis by the locals) for too long would eventually be damaged over time by the extreme heat from the lava-veins down there.

The team decided if he was hiding in the Infernis, he would need a way to keep the relic weapon cool while he did whatever he was doing with it. With a few handy lore rolls, they figured he would need some fairly high-end cooling technology, and there were only a few sources of that kind of tech in Gunmetal City. If they could pin down where he was getting it, they could pin down anyone who may be working with him to acquire it. Find them, find the Magos. Find the Magos, find the relic.

So they did some good ol' fashioned Shadowrun-style legwork and went on a tour of the spires of Gunmetal City to track down where an enterprising heretek may get a stupid-powerful freezer.
>>
>>54224369
>>54224369
Zulf in particular was instrumental in their findings. Going around to bars and showing off the assault-lasgun he used as his weapon of choice (Merovech assault lasgun, from Rogue Trader Into the Storm, for those curious), and generally playing the role of the team's sole competent detective, he was able to get people to tell him stuff about the city and its Fanes. Remember, Fanes are basically the megacorporations around here, and there's a lot of them. They just needed one that was interested in weapon-cooling and plasma tech as a viable lead. And boy oh boy, did they find one.

Takara Fane, a rival interest to Westinkrup, practically had Gunmetal City's energy weapons market cornered, and happened to have a facility that (in close conjunction with a lot of Mechanicus oversight) did a lot of work with plasma weapons and had a special cryonic cooling facility and devices meant to keep them cool during and prior to assembly.

Cell 29 crossed between Westinkrup and Takara Spires carefully to continue their investigation, marksmen on both sides exchanging potshots idly as is typical in Gunmetal City, as the team crossed the bridge between the two hive-spires. The Takara Fane guards on the other end allow them safe passage after sweeping them with an auspex to search for anything like explosives. They don't touch the team's guns, ask them their business (they're going incognito as regulators, ie. not-Shadowrunners) and direct them to the gunfight zones on the west end of the spire if they want a fight before allowing them to pass.

Once across, they head for the facility their lead directed them to.
>>
>>54215972

I say go for it - they made a smart/lucky attack, and now quite reasonably want to exploit their prize. Nothing wrong with indulging them, you just need to be careful about it.

You don't usually want to let one player suddenly be *too* much more powerful than the rest - though as long as they all agree and understand that isn't really a problem.

I would say you could set it up so they have to search for a Magos capable of cleansing the poor spirits of the body (so cruelly abused by a criminal) and then performing the surgical rite (while the player gains the appropriate Peer trait, etc) after the adventure concludes - perhaps while they're in transit/downtime, and have that subplot itself conclude after the *next* adventure.

The player in question should probably be shunted over to a class like the Acuitor Mech-Assassin, to give a rough framework for them to buy-off the XP-debt of some of the augmetic traits they'll acquire.

Then during that next adventure, you could liberally award some prizes to the other players, so that in the end they've all gained something shiny, though it doesn't have to be *powerful* - perhaps in the process of acquiring their Magos contact, they could themselves get some augmetic work done (and quicker than the whole-body transplant).
>>
>>54224785
Takara Spire had a very different feel to it. More lasweapons being used to shoot tin cans than solid-projectiles like the Metallicans in Westinkrup Spire favored, but at the end of the day, same shit. Gunmetal City's culture revolves around weapons, and I went out of my way to show it off in the team's investigation. Regular interactions with Gunmetal civilians led to young children talking mad shit about Ioudas and Lamiss's crappy guns (Ioudas being a melee-monster and Lamiss being a psyker who had no need for weapons). Zulf got some respect for his Merovech.

Anyways, flavor text and narrative components aside, Takara Cryonics was a place with some fairly tight security, but the group's cover-story as regulators working for the Takara Fane Militia (common enough in a city literally nicknamed 'The Lawless City', where hired muscle to bulk up the numbers and feuds between Fanes are common enough) managed to get them in the front door.

Shit got a lot tighter once they were inside. They managed to check out the lower floor without raising suspicion, but the assembly lines on the ground level didn't really tell them anything beyond the fact that they had the kinds of freezers Roland Morl would need.

So, they endeavored to find an office in the building that would let them pull some records of lost inventory. It's a fairly big department for a business not directly dealing in firearms or firearm accessories, but all of Fane Takara's plasma coil and cooling contracts went through this subsidiary. They figured there'd be something to find. Guard patrols and multilaser turrets on revolving blister-mounts built into the ceiling barred access to anything major without the team getting creative.

Ferrus decided to do some light tech shit here, breaking open a control box to shut some turrets off and allowing the team access to more sensitive areas of the facility without raising an alert.
>>
>>54224945
After some more skullduggery and generally bluffing their way past some of the security (details of which I forget, this was a while back and this part of the adventure was boring), they managed to find some evidence in the records room of a sale of a high-end cooling unit that clearly never happened.

It was pretty obvious a truck carrying one such cooling unit had been hijacked while traveling downhive, and no investigation into it was forthcoming. The team found that a little suspicious, but had a name from the records: Nora Key.

Nora Key was a Metallican gunslinger that often did shows at the Sands of Blood - kind of a gunfighters' gladiatorial arena that drew a lot of crowds in Gunmetal City. She was also an underboss in the Brotherhood of Thollos, which I was playing up as kind of being like the Gunmetal City mob.

And so, with the boring undercover crap out of the way, we segue into the more interesting part of the adventure.
>>
>>54225089
With the obvious failed attempt at a cover-up of the theft of a glorified freezer, the team now had a lead: Nora Key did shows regularly at the Sands of Blood, and the team's good buddy Authwaite had a personal VIP box where he set up during shows to watch the carnage. The team got a nice view of some rookie gunfighters murdering each-other (which I actually let a couple players play out as the NPCs fighting it out, which one guy thought was kinda cool).

Eventually, Nora Key and her opponent enter the arena, and shit gets ugly right quick.

Nora Key is a gunslinger packing dual bolt pistols, tricked out to the nines, and her opponent is this hulking motherfucker with an assault cannon and a suit of power armor.

Nora draws first and empties a mag into the guy before he can move. His entire power suit and ammo-feed belt goes up in secondaries as the bolter rounds rip into him, and pretty soon there's a greasy smear and smoldering fire on the ground of the arena.

Trick is, Zulf, being the experienced Astra Telepathica witch-hunter that he is, recognized that the good Ms. Key was moving too fast and also distantly sensed some psychic energy when she took her shot.

The most obvious plot twist of the fucking century is that Ms. Key was obviously a rogue psyker who used her powers to help with her gunslinging. Warptime was a bitch of a power to deal with, and the team didn't feel like fighting her.

So they decided to approach her for an autograph instead.
>>
>>54221953
The party walked through the underhive, a heavy hiverain falling on them. The Interrogator turned his collar up, sending a trickle of condensed filth down his neck. He swore as only a former guardsman can. His companions turned towards the noise. The Tech-Priest made a remark about the frailty of flesh, whirring and clicking. The Witch and her watcher, the Assassin, shared a look that spoke to the frequency of the Tech-Priest's remarks.

The target was nearly in sight, a suspected cult of tainted ratlings occupying a former storehouse/cathedral. Their Inquisitor had sent them to the hive months ago; instructions were to investigate cult activities and lowered tithes. Their investigation had taken them from the highest spire to this, the belly of the underhive dug some 600 meters into the bedrock. They'd met with resistance from every quarter, so deep was the corruption. Were it up to the Interrogator and the Tech-Priest, the hive would have been purged weeks ago, but the Inquisitor had been clear in her instructions: redeem the hive, purge the taint, bring them back to the Emperor.

The foul rat-man was preaching his heretical sermon when the group arrived, concealed in the rafters of the small room. The Assassin wanted to take his shot, but the Interrogator stayed his hand. Better to make an example of him than simply silence him. The group readied their weapons while the Witch reached out to the Warp. Her mind made contact with the guard nearest the pulpit, her command was simply to catch the next thing he saw.
>>
>>54226137
The grenade killed the guards in a blinding ball of plasma, setting the dry wood of the foul symbols alight in the process. Unintended, but useful. All eyes turned towards the rafters, but the group had already moved. The demolition charges slowly started to go off, bringing parts of the roof down. The rats at the back of the building fled towards the door, trampling each other only to find the door barred and welded shut, the Tech-Priest being most efficient in his work. As the ceiling came down, a booming voice spoke of their failings to the Emperor. The message was punctuated by a final rain of incendiary grenades on what was left of the structure and those few survivors.

Their mission wasn't yet complete, though. They had several other leads to follow. Someone had funded the rat-men, giving them access to the storehouse and removing it from the records. The party had time to watch the desecrated cathedral burn, though, time to watch their handiwork with a measure of pride before they moved to their next target.

The foul rain fell on the cinders of heresy as the party moved towards the lift. The night was just beginning. The damned would burn, the corruption would be excised, the hive would be cleansed in fire and brought to the light of the Emperor. To the Heretic, the Xeno, the Daemon: the Inquisition brings war.
>>
File: Ork Disguise.jpg (166KB, 800x805px) Image search: [Google]
Ork Disguise.jpg
166KB, 800x805px
>>54224103

Well, your "feels" are wrong. I think it worked out rather well. I think everyone coming together was really great, and everyone who stopped in had jumped at the chance to pop back in. It was great to talk with everyone again as well, and catch up.
>>
>>54221953
Because of prep work and sanctified sniper rounds, the acolytes trivialized the final boss of the splat, even without the autocannon techpriest.
>>
File: 1498499955402.gif (4MB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1498499955402.gif
4MB, 400x400px
>>54226327
>your "feels" are wrong

triggered
>>
>>54215972
It's non-standard tech, so it would require "extensive research" by a Magos Cybernetica and Magos Biologis to understand and adapt the neurological interface before it could be safely used.
"Come back in about 50 years, acolyte..."
>>
File: Smug Yupiel Compilation.jpg (2MB, 1800x1868px) Image search: [Google]
Smug Yupiel Compilation.jpg
2MB, 1800x1868px
>>54227608
>>
File: FB_IMG_1498127641242.jpg (26KB, 640x414px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1498127641242.jpg
26KB, 640x414px
>>54227750
>smug anime grill posting

should be a lifetime ban tbqh fampai
>>
File: CRUSADING.png (2MB, 1495x834px) Image search: [Google]
CRUSADING.png
2MB, 1495x834px
>>54224103
This confuses me. I've had lots of concurrent games, and I've had players/characters cross over at various points. Everyone always finds it delightful.
Heck, one of my favorite gaming memories was when our GM made a big deal about how he had a surprise for us, and it turned out the surprise was that one of the players from one of my old games was going to join our team with his Inquisitor character for a few sessions. We all had a great time, and it was really fun to have new and old characters interact with each other.
I'm genuinely curious as to why you think it's something that can't work.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1498127538849.jpg (21KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1498127538849.jpg
21KB, 480x360px
>>54228062
He's realized we don't shit on nametags here simply for the sake of namefagging, so he's moved on to blatantly overreacting to completely agreeable things. He's a faggot, pay him no mind.
>>
Can't you use a pastebin for long stories?
>>
>>54188434
>greatest accomplishment

As a GM, little enough. My players went off the rails when I first tried to GM in my life (also my first PnPRP attempt). It was the rulebook mission in DH1e. They decided to go camping on the mountains I had mentioned offhand. So i improvsed the next session. I had an undead wild creature like a scaled wildcat with six legs attack them, then had a sandstorm rise from nowhere. They percieved shapes walking in the sand drifts, but couldn't get in contact with them. Eventually they noticed that the shapes were walking corpses. They heard voices, some giving cryptic clues as to the nature of their adversary, the big reveal, tips for the boss fight... and some were nonsense. They were suitably creeped out and said I did well.

As a player... well, today we meltabombed an emerging Herald before I sent a sanctified sniper round through him. He blighted the material realm for less than a minute.
>>
>>54191006
>crown joule
lel

>>54199842
Same senpai same.
>>
Hey guys, my group and I are going to play DH for the first time, and the Techopriest asks me if he can start by being 200 years old. Would not it be strange that a Techopriest of 200 years is level 1?
>>
>>54230992
It could happen; if the character was in an extremely boring mundane position such as a production line sub-supervisor it could have taken that long for them to gain the experience to become worthy of an Inquisitor's notice.
>>
>>54230992
He can be a mind cleansed.
He saw something he should not have seen, he got his memory erased and got assigned to the inquisition
>>
>>54188434
How do you guys think FFG would have done 8th edition fluff now with all the habbenings?

Would the Inquisitor Lords be scared as shit now that the stupid Historiators exist now, along with some xenos loving Primarch being reborn, and millions of Prinarius, Legion of the Damned, Chaos supermarines, and other gene mary sues are popping up en masse?
>>
>>54232734

They would have appealed to their fan base by saying "Nothing changed, they all died on the way to the sector. An accident? Or sabotage...? ..." and people would lap it up and praise ffg for respecting the fluff.
>>
http://www.forum.specialist-arms.com/index.php?topic=6387.0

Astartes/Armada Imperialis ships for Shas`o
>>
>>54230992
I'm playing a really old Missionary who decided he was done being a two-bit preacher and wanted to go out, see the world and burn heretics.
Then again it's Rogue Trader, so level one is a bit higher than Dark Heresy level one.
>>
File: explorator.jpg (107KB, 641x883px) Image search: [Google]
explorator.jpg
107KB, 641x883px
>>54230992
Not necessarily. He's just not very accomplished/skilled for his age.
He could be mind cleansed (which is a TON of fun). He could just be the Techpriest equivalent of middle management, bumbling along doing a decent job but not really trying for anything bigger.
He could have been on an Explorator mission, and wound up 200 years older than he should be by warp-fuckery.
Really, there's a lot of ways it could happen. A lot of people like to play rank 1 adepts as wise old codgers too, so I don't see it as stretching belief. Not every old person in the Imperium is a fucking badass. (Just most of them.)
>>54221953
Lady Sinderfell summons a Daemonhost to attack the Library of Knowing. On the host's emergence, the Mech-Assassin panics and flees in terror, while the rest of the team engages the beast in desperate battle in the burning library. The Daemonhost and the acolytes trade blows back and forth, and just as the creature is on its last legs, the Mech-Assassin rallies, sprints into the room and delivers the kill shot.
He proceeds to smugly brag about saving the team yet again, despite having spent most of the fight fleeing in terror.
>>
>>54188434
So I'm looking through the RT Core Rulebook (updated with 1.4 errata) and reading the section about Boarding on page 215. It says the following:
"The ship with the larger Crew Population value will receive a +10 bonus to its character’s Command Test for every full 10 points difference in Crew Population between the two ships. The ship with the higher remaining Hull Integrity provides a +10 bonus to its character’s Command Test for every full 10 points difference in Crew Population between the two ships."

Should the hull integrity part not read "for every full 10 points of difference in Hull Integrity between the two ship" instead of referring to Crew Population?
>>
File: Celebrants.jpg (309KB, 550x778px) Image search: [Google]
Celebrants.jpg
309KB, 550x778px
I know they have next to no fluff, but I want to play a Celebrant in Deathwatch. Does anyone have any ideas about what the chapter might be like?
>>
>>54237831
they look like Blood Angels successors if you ask me
>>
>>54238444
Any ideas on chapter culture? I'm struggling to come up with anything, probably due to lack of sleep.

The only things we know about them are that all ten companies were at the third war for Armageddon and that they were tricked into switching warzones with the Crimson Consuls by the Alpha Legion and that this led to the Crimson Consuls' destruction.
>>
>>54238616
maybe they were made to celebrate the death of their primarch?

seriously the BA have tried literally everything to break the curse

and none of it has worked
>>
>>54238741
I think the Lamenters are ostensibly resistant to it, but they inarguably have a worse curse.

Anyways, Celebrants could be Fists successors too. Or neither. Chapters don't necessarily have to share colors with their primogenitor.
>>
Does the Adeptus Mechanicus have total control over all aspects of technology in the Imperium?

Like, if you're a blacksmith on a feudal world, are you guilty of tech-heresy if you invent a windmill? Does the AdMech maintain all mills on a feudal world? Does the AdMech dictate how many cars are produced for each planet, and decide what those cars look like? Can only tech-priests come to your house to fix your refridgerator?
>>
>>54238444
Their chapter symbol reminds me more of the Dark Angels than the Blood Angels.
>>
>>54239671

Considering that the Ecclesiarchy, despite being at odds with the Admech, has plenty of technological doodads of their own, and nobles own private manufactorums, it seems that despite the Admech claiming to hold power over all technology, it seems less of a truly universal law and more a matter of practicality, as they're the ones who do actually know how shit functions, and they have the firepower to back their claims of authority up.

As for the feudal question, the seems Admech is only really invested in 'high-tech' things. Fruits of Science, and inventions the lost Golden Age of Technology. Simple mechanical contraptions seem to be beneath their notice.
>>
File: 1496502277366.png (13KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1496502277366.png
13KB, 400x400px
>>54239671
>Does the Adeptus Mechanicus have total control over all aspects of technology in the Imperium?

As much as they can get. Things slip through the cracks.

>Like, if you're a blacksmith on a feudal world, are you guilty of tech-heresy if you invent a windmill? Does the AdMech maintain all mills on a feudal world?

I think simple machines and combinations thereof probably wouldn't fall under their purview.

>Does the AdMech dictate how many cars are produced for each planet, and decide what those cars look like?

Standard Template Construct would more less dictate appearance. The market and Adepta or local planetary government influence and interference in the market would determine the number of cars produced.

>Can only tech-priests come to your house to fix your refridgerator?

I believe they license or sanction lay men to do some work and manufacturing. Same reason that much of a hive could be devoted to producing lays guns, but not all of them by far are techpriests.
>>
>>54239913
>Standard Template Construct would more less dictate appearance.
So if a Bugatti Chiron were the basic STC car available, you'd never get anything that looked like a 50s Cadillac with Aquila wings instead of rocket fins?
>>
>>54239671
>>54239913
>>54240131
>Standard Template Construct would more less dictate appearance. The market and Adepta or local planetary government influence and interference in the market would determine the number of cars produced.

I'm under the impression, given the wide array of different gun patterns produced in Hive world manufactoria and even by Forge worlds, and also the differences uniquely crafted examples of certain items can have, that the dogmatic adherence mostly refers to the inner, mechanical workings of things, the actual innards.
For example, in the case of a car, the Tech priests would probably autistically go over the engine, the transmission, and all the other 'substantial' parts of the car, but then those innards could be slapped in any actual body, and so long as it fits their criteria for "yes this is a car body", they wouldn't start frothing at the mouth. It's also apparent that master craftsmen can and will put their little unique improvements and calibrations into their work, hence high-quality and master-crafted items perform differently and straight-up better than mass-produced items created off the ideal template.

Also, how 'untouchable' a certain template or pattern is depends on how venerated and complicated the technology in question is. Plasma guns and the like are hard to replicate, ancient, powerful, and very, very complicated - thus trying to fiddle with their blueprints in any way generates great ire, as the existing imperfect version was probably already the fruit of huge research and STC template reconstruction efforts. Meanwhile, pretty much every planet has their spin on the Stub Revolver, as it's an uncomplicated, purely mechanical that, in the eyes of a Techpriest, even a child could slap together on a workbench - thus such a thing as a "heretical stub revolver pattern" existing is nigh impossible, because the Mechanicus just straight-up doesn't respect stub revolvers enough for such considerations to come into play.
>>
>>54240208
That's the gist of things, really: not all technologies are created equal, and get the equal respect and veneration that leads to dogmatic adherence to The Way It's Meant To Be.

Cars, for example, must be somewhere halfway. There are probably one or more STC fragments for car engines and parts, as well as natively preserved knowledge of these technologies on many worlds, and there have probably been a few theological debates held on which combinations of these different parts would produce The Perfect Car, which is no doubt how The STC Car must have been - and of course, in practice this means various patterns of car exist, all with their locals spins and variations based on the needs of the local terrain and industry and populace, further modified while in use, and since cars aren't important or venerable a technology enough for the Admech to actually go after any but the most obvious and disrespectful tampering, a few centuries give each of these variant patterns enough legitimacy to enter the local Admech's 'blueprint canon'.
>>
>>54240311
But then, considering the Imperium's tech level, would you think a car STC would still have an internal combustion engine like Chimeras do? Or modern electric engines like Tauros?
>>
>>54240702
I'd say either version exists out there somewhere
>>
>>54239619
>>54239827
from the wings I'm guessing one of the two
>>
>>54240702

Depends on the type of car - STC's are colonisation tools, so there'd be early-stage vehicles with rugged and (relatively) simple systems like a combustion engine that can devour pretty much anything you throw in the hopper, to the advanced late-stage vehicles with all the fancy anti-grav and wireless power transmission stuff.
>>
>>54239619
>Chapters don't necessarily have to share colors with their primogenitor.

forgot this point. almost all of the BA successors are some shade of red or feature something similar to the BA's logo, so it was just a guess, they're red and have wings, double whammy
>>
>>54240937
With a name like Celebrants, what do you think their chapter culture is like? Would they get different attributes from the basic BA/DA chapters?
>>
>>54241372
cel·e·brant
ˈseləbrənt/Submit
noun
a person who performs a rite, especially a priest at the Eucharist.
NORTH AMERICAN
a person who celebrates something.

if they're BA, they probably just drink blood
if DA, I'm not really sure, hunt the fallen vanilla style?

maybe they're demon exorcists or something, shrine world, the ecclesiarchy...
>>
What is the benefit of Unnatural Agility? It doesn't have any affect on movement speed, right? What is it good for?
>>
>>54243127
A natural characteristics add to your characteristic bonus and increase the degrees of success you have on tests using that characteristic. So yes, it would in fact affect your movement. As well as increasing your degrees of success on Dodge tests, which would be good for multiple hits, area-of-effect, etc.
>>
>>54243181
>a natural
Unnatural obviously.
>>
>>54243127
As a multiplier, not much besides making dodge tests and other agility based tests easier with an extra degree of success or two.

As addition in later games, it does.
>>
File: unnatural_characteristic_rt.png (104KB, 372x317px) Image search: [Google]
unnatural_characteristic_rt.png
104KB, 372x317px
>>54243181
I should have noted that this particular game is Rogue Trader, which still had the wonky multiplicative Unnatural Characteristics rather than additive. In RT, it explicitly says it does not affect movement speed.
>>
So I'm the Rogue Trader in a RT game, and even though the campaign has just begun, due some shit, I have come into the possession of Port Wander. Like, I own it. The whole fucking thing. Critical jobs have been re-crewed by my ratings, and within a few years we'll be fully operational as I give pilgrims and drifters contracts to homestead the vacant food courts and market stalls.

"the fringe is yours" indeed!

What should I do now that I own the most important port in the Expanse? I imagine my profit factor is going to go through the roof, but what cool stuff can I do, or try to do, with this new asset?
>>
Would you play a Dark Heresy conversion of FFG's Star Wars rules?

With the generic ruleset on the horizon, I'm tempted to get homebrewing. I think Narrative Dice would fit 40k quite nicely.
>>
>>54244945
How the fuck do you "own" Port Wander if the campaign just started? Like, what level of canon-raping bullshit is your GM pulling out of their ass? Nothing short of a small fleet of Grand Cruisers should be able to do that.
>>
>>54245099
Everyone onboard was killed because of....somekind of heresy thing, I forget. I actually wasn't even responsible. I said "hey look its an uninhabited station, I'll just duty and reconquer it in the name of the Imperium and my family!" I got a 10 on my charm roll, and the inquisitor i was with rolled a 85 on his "give a fuck" roll.
>>
>>54245184
Congrats, you now own the most vital and profitable station in the Expanse. Now you get to keep it against pirates who want to rule the thing, Navy people who want to use it to enforce THE LAWR, xenos that want it, heretics that want it, and anyone else with a big gun and ambition. Repeatedly. If the GM isn't an utter retard, the game is about to become a series of "Hold onto this immensely valuable prize at all costs" setpieces until you either lose it or sell it. My advice? Sell it to the Navy right now, take 3 levels of Peer (Navy), and use that for support and cheap ship repair for the rest of the game.
>>
>>54245184
Problem 1: Port Wander isn't just some random uninhabited station floating in space. It's literally one of the most important stations in the Calixis Sector. There's a standing Navy fleet in the system that would have recaptured it almost instantly.

Problem 2: Rolling 10 on a charm test vs a motherfucking Inquisitor means jack shit. No sane, rosette-bearing individual would ever let a rogue element control such a vital station

Problem 3: If this "heresy" was enough to wipe the station clean on inhabitants, then you bet your ass every Inquisitor from here to the Golden Throne is going to descend on Port Wander and declare it off limits.

>>54245239
>Repeatedly. If the GM isn't an utter retard
Too late. He's already raped canon like a hillbilly in a greased pig contest.
>>
>>54239671
as far as I understand it, Tech Priests primarily concern themselves with "High Technology". That is, something like a wind-mill, or a spear, or a combustion engine, technologies that were old even before the earliest days of space colonization, don't aggressively concern them. Honor the machine's spirit, but they aren't going to attack you for sawing off a shotgun.
Advanced cybernetics, cogitators that can predict the future, warp engines, nanite swarms that can consume all sapient life on a planet? That's something they *REALLY* want to control, and will pay *Very* close attention to any laymen messing around with it. And if you start messing with things with apocalyptic potential, they will pay you a visit. Doubly so if you threaten their direct control of something.
Most of what they do is hoard tech they think is dangerous, monopolize the maintenance of really advanced systems, search for clues about things they think are useful, and murder anyone who threatens their ability to do those things.
>>
>>54245275

FFG isn't canon, so no canon was raped. The GM may not have a sense of scale, though. The game in >>54245184 has transitioned from Rogue Trader into a Tower Defense game.
>>
>>54245475
>warp engines
And Gellar fields. Any technology that manipulates or involves the Warp in any way is under tight lock by the Mechanicus to the point that even most techpriests aren't allowed to mess with it. For obvious reasons, really, but it means that your revolutionary generator that converts Warp energy into UNLIIIIIIIIIMIIIIIITEEEED POWWWWWWAAAAH is turbo-heresy and will be destroyed or tossed in a very dark box to be carefully studied over the next 5k years, even if it, by some miracle, DOESN'T cause daemonic visitations, possessions, mutations, or even the scent of brimstone.
>>
>>54245476
>FFG isn't canon, so no canon was raped. The GM may not have a sense of scale, though

If you're playing a FFG RPG, you're using FFG canon. Unless they otherwise specify that they are ignoring FFG version of the setting and using classic Gee Dubs stuff, then they are raping canon.

Additionally, if they ARE ignoring FFG stuff and sticking to Gee Dubs, then including FFG stuff into Gee Dubs lore is raping canon.

Canon is getting raped every which way. Hide yo' Eldar, hide yo' Tau, they rapin' erybody.
>>
>>54245476
Shit. I guess I'll try to sell it. Also yeah, I'm not sure why I was able to just own it when the Navy and Admech and Navis Nobiliae et al would want to know why all their dudes got killed for a reason so trivial I literally forget. I think the arbites were robbing inquisition goods. Maybe I'll just bolt my theme park onto the place and set up some franchised shops before ceding control to someone who'd want to deal with it full time.
>>
File: bipbop.jpg (178KB, 1728x1152px) Image search: [Google]
bipbop.jpg
178KB, 1728x1152px
>>54239913

How about planets cut off from Imperium, how does no one there invent shit and go full Tau retarded.

That always bugged me out.
>>
>>54245082
I'd definitely play it if it was Old Republic
>>
>>54246740
Because archeotech is just that advanced
>>
>>54246740
>how does no one there invent shit and go full Tau retarded.
A few reasons.
1. Archeotech is really, really advanced. Unless your entire society is somehow an intact Dark Age tech-level one (It isn't), or it has an intact STC Constructor (It doesn't), improving on Archeotech isn't happening, because it is almost literally magic.
2. Most people in the Imperium don't really understand technological or scientific principles in any real way.
3. Non-Imperial worlds are usually Dark Age enclaves that got kicked back to the stone age and very gradually picked themselves back up to varying levels over painful millennia. They're not really going to be much help either.
4. Imperial tech, shitty as it is, is still deceptively powerful, advanced, and compact, and hard to improve on without trade-offs. Those trade-offs might be ones you don't mind making, but it's hard to straight up improve on so much as a lasgun.
>>
Current campaign:

Slice of life: 40k edition.

Welcome to the desert world of Talanthus, once a mighty forge world that primarily dealt with voidship repair and re-fit. Then, ??? years ago, ??? happened, and the world got turned into the barren wasteland it is today.

Only recently re-discovered, the world is a treasure trove of archeotech, shifting dunes constantly revealing and hiding old ship ruins.

However, due to both how recently it was rediscovered, different ad-mech factions, Rogue Traders and Noble houses competing for control over it; most major factions of the Imperium are caught up in a decade-long legal quagmire.

That leaves the players, scavengers and explorers looking for a new life, trying to get by: Mad Max, Firefly, Borderlands all serve as great inspiration.

Players aren't Inquisition or shit, just regular dudes trying to make a living, that said - scavenging is lucrative and dangerous work, to say little of sandwurms, the heat and other nasties.
>>
File: galaxy-shadowbox.jpg (378KB, 2000x1600px) Image search: [Google]
galaxy-shadowbox.jpg
378KB, 2000x1600px
>>54245476
Isnt FFG canon is still canon? Calixis is still on the map even in the new edition.
>>
>>54248062
FFG canon is not canon to GW. It is, however, thrown minor bones and nods like that to please the fans. Don't expect to see anything more than namedrops.
>>
>>54248062

I think Calixis is roughly canon because DH1 was originally worked on by GW under Black Industries. Everything else from RT onward was FFG. So GW list what they worked on, and ignore what they did not (such as the Jericho Reach which got exploded by the Rift). Similarly, Scarus is there because it's the site of the Ravenor/Eisenhorn books and Imperial Armor 5-7, neither or which are mentioned by FFG I think. At least, I didn't see Vraks on their map.
>>
>>54247883
So , gorkamorka- humies edition?
it`s better with orks.
>>
>>54248740
>the Jericho Reach which got exploded by the Rift
Let's all be honest here, that story was never going to have a happy ending anyway.
>>
>>54248782
Not really, this is more of a slow-burn, roleplay-heavy exploration based game. Gorkamorka is orks with cars in an awesome frenzy of speed and violence. This isn't that.
>>
>>54248062
Why does it matter? If GW woke up one morning and said, "FFG is not canon!" would you look at your friends and say, 'Whelp, time to throw out all these source books, we'll never play in Calixis again!"?
>>
>>54252258

Well, my friends get fucking heart palpitations if something isn't "close to canon," which to them means the tabletop rulebook is the bible.
>>
>>54252467
FFG handles the setting with greater respect than GW ever did, and GW fucking made it.

Your friends are grognards and idiots when the franchise was originally made to run on 'Your Dudes.' Tell them to chill out.
>>
>>54252577
^ ^ this right here.
>>
File: 1490769866769.jpg (43KB, 659x570px) Image search: [Google]
1490769866769.jpg
43KB, 659x570px
>>54252467
This anon >>54252577 is absolutely right. "Canon" in 40k is a nebulous concept. I'm a firm believer in Traveller style "In My Imperium" play.
Some of the ground rules (Chaos is a thing, Space Marines are good at fighting, Tyranids are mean) are important, but frankly passed a certain point I think the fun of the setting is putting your own spin on it.
In my games, Deathwatch and the Grey Knights are Chamber Militant. They answer to the Inquisition. I like the idea of chafing at Inquisitorial commands, going rogue to prove the guy who ordered you to do shady shit is a heretic, grimly swallowing your pride to follow orders you know are necessary but morally wrong... all of that makes for fun drama to me, and I like the tension between Astartes and regular humans.
But maybe you think that's lame! So in your universe, Deathwatch is completely independent, goes around bitch-slapping Inquisitors and rockin' sick C'tan phase swords (I.E. current canon as I understand it). And that's awesome too!
All that matters is that you and your group are on the same page about canon/headcanon and how things work for your game. If you have a disagreement, talk it out like adults. Be flexible.
Honestly, if your friends are freaked about the minutia of 40k canon, they should really chill. I get people being upset about the radical shift between something like the Oldcrons and Newcrons, but if they're flipping out about a relatively modest place like the Calixis Sector existing they need to tone it down.
>>
>>54252577
>>54253050

Something you roleplayers need to understand is that you come from a culture that allows that sort of thing. DnD and all those other games were designed to be freeform with the fluff. Most of us who started with tabletop first learned very fast that concepts like "Your Dudes" or headcanon or houserules make you out to be a headcase. Naturally, that outlook gets transferred here. So don't give me that "Oh just make it up" because some of us don't have a choice. It makes you sound pretentious. Attitudes established in the 80's when 40k first came out will not be shaken even if the RPG offers a different one.
>>
>>54253594
>Most of us who started with tabletop first learned very fast that concepts like "Your Dudes" or headcanon or houserules make you out to be a headcase.
Oh fuck off, GW themselves encourage "Your dudes" and have ever since the beginning.
>>
>>54253594
there are 2 entire legions of space marines that are never talked about so that players can create their own legions and primarchs
>>
File: 1482165238604.jpg (95KB, 700x811px) Image search: [Google]
1482165238604.jpg
95KB, 700x811px
>>54253594
I think that must just be your scene, anon. I started wargaming in the 90's. Fluff was called "Fluff" because it's just that: something fun that pads out the game and gives it context, not something that's supposed to straight-jacket you. People loved making up wacky backgrounds for their armies, running custom Chapters and tweaking rules for things like Chaos Eldar and Genestealer Cults. Hell, when the Squats disappeared Citadel Journal offered a guide on running them as Orks! Not to mention stuff from around the turn of the century when you could make your own alien monsters and tanks, or the days of customized Hive fleets. Taking such a strict attitude to a background GW frequently encouraged players to have fun with seems very at odds with the spirit of the game.
>>
>>54254162

That hasn't been the case in years
>>
>>54253594
>Most of us who started with tabletop first learned very fast that concepts like "Your Dudes" or headcanon or houserules make you out to be a headcase.
That is bullshit, and if it is true, then that was a thing in your town.
>>
>>54253594
>. Most of us who started with tabletop first learned very fast that concepts like "Your Dudes" or headcanon or houserules make you out to be a headcase. Naturally, that outlook gets transferred here. So don't give me that "Oh just make it up" because some of us don't have a choice
I'm sorry you were socialized by 4chan: The Hobby Scene. Or maybe just 4chan.
>>
File: warhammer40kaquila.jpg (357KB, 3543x1343px) Image search: [Google]
warhammer40kaquila.jpg
357KB, 3543x1343px
>>54252577
and
>>54253050
and
>>54254333
gets it

GW doesn't care, it should lead by example but at least we can all sperg out and make our own fluff. Especially in rpg

shit, i turn whole races over themself just to piss off my players, its MY fucking domain and as long as its fun why the hell not

btw, post your autistic canon rape here

>i had something similar to Primaris/Raptor marines in the shadow for 8 years

where is my bucks GW you amateur faggots
>>
Returning to the issue that stemmed this "lululu canon" argument, the problem is one (or more) major faction isn't acting as it should in Anon's game. To give a horrible example, it'd be like Dark Eldar suddenly shitting rainbows and puppies while freeing all of their slaves. The Inquisition and the Imperial Navy don't just give up a station like Port Wander, no matter how you want to try and refluff it.
>>
>>54253050
>I get people being upset about the radical shift between something like the Oldcrons and Newcrons

Brother, i completly erased Necrons from my game and made all of them "Men of Steel" from the past, just waking up and shitting up Imperium again. Because i never liked Newcrons and didn't like Necrons fluff overall at all.

My Necron player negga actually digs it.

I get having a open discussion how official rules or fluff affects models/mechanics of your favorite faction but overreacting to your own fluff in rpg or table with your dude borders with damn autism.
>>
>>54254946

>Dark Eldar suddenly shitting rainbows and puppies while freeing all of their slaves

nothing will surprise about those degenerates
>>
>>54254946
>acting as it should
Y'know, there is some issue that comes up when the player tries to lecture the GM on what is "proper" in his own game.
You don't own 40k, and any game is up to the will of the GM. You have no idea what went on in the background that could make such a thing happen as a player, and calling foul from a position of gross ignorance automatically makes you a cunt, an idiot, and in my group, told that further foolishness will see them ejected from the campaign.
>>
>>54254946
sure they do

right before the entire sector gets eaten by tyranids they probably throw the keys to some chode and tell them to have fun
>>
>>54253652
Up until 4th edition. Now even in their art they put only stuff they sell. No more 'your dudes'. You'll play our dudes the way we want you to play.
>>
File: 1482097268115.jpg (280KB, 800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1482097268115.jpg
280KB, 800x1200px
>>54255991
Bollocks to that. Pic related. Whatever is in front of the Knight is not anything they sell. And GW's release of the "Make your own Primaris Marines colour scheme" page is clear encouragement of "Your dudes".

So stop talking shit.
>>
>>54255991
>Now even in their art they put only stuff they sell
Because the Chapterhouse lawsuit nearly cost them the 40k license.
>>
>>54254917
>post your autistic canon rape here

Forgetting Tau ever existed in any way because their creation was an autistic canon rape.
>>
>>54253594
Literally only you, your close """friends,""" and whatever spastic, weak retards you were able to strongarm into your pathetically autistic (lack of) vision of 40k.
>>
I've been adapting Rogue Traders rules for into a background for second edition characters in dark heresy, and I gotta tell ya, the navis nobilite are weird. Never knew how weird until I read their RT stuff. Psykers who don't act like psykers, their own weird mutation track, then all the Highlander shit that determines who the Paternova is.
>>
>>54257043
Literally no GM lets you play as a navigator anyways. You're not going to miss much skipping over them unless you yourself plan to allow such in your game.
>>
>>54257589
Eh, I might try allowing it, I already set up the background special rules and talents.
>>
>>54257589
>literally no GM
Guy who made background package here, is that just because they're mad powerful? Some of those powers seemed pretty insane while I was reading them.
>>
>>54257931
Not that guy, but there is that and the fact that the navigator is directly responsible for the ship not being lost in the warp.

A ship with no navigator is in for a hellish time getting anywhere.
>>
>>54257589
I made a Navigator once. I rolled extremely high Fellowship, so I made it a cute girl. Her starting mutation wasn't very disfiguring either; just double-jointed limbs. Part of the tragedy was that she knew that someday she'd mutate into a grotesque, barely-human blob, so she tried to revel in her prettiness for as long as she could, because she knew it would not last.
>>
>Iron Hands player uses Text to Speech Device
Fun shit.
>>
File: IMG_3533.jpg (92KB, 800x640px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3533.jpg
92KB, 800x640px
>>54188434

I'm having a problem and would like advice.

We are currently in the lower levels of an arch-heretek’s fortress built into a moon in a system that we are investigating because it belongs to the rogue trader’s dynasty but was erased from star charts by someone. (This campaign has been going on for over a year and a half now so in the interest of saving time and space I’m not going to go further into why we are where we are.)

My character, an eldar contacted into the service of the rogue trader, killed a pair of prisoners (2 deeply faithful magos who our enemy had captured and handed over to the Arch-heretek who then fitted with mind control devices and forced to operate necron devices for him, while the heretek’s dangerously charismatic boss manipulated the faith of these two men into a miraculous will to resist him that delayed the onset of madness from what they were being made to do, so long as they remained in that condition of resisting active enslavement) because he figured out that they had been too corrupted by xenos knowledge they had been exposed to against their will to stay stable. In other words they looked saveable, unless you could see minds and souls with the clarity of an eldar, and had seen humans fall enough times to know where this was going.

In crunch terms you could say their corruption scores were maxed out but none of it had resolved, but would begin to.

Our explorator is an idealistic and insatiably curious magos biologis with a deep sympathy for the enslaved (servitors are not the same thing because they are just automatons that happen to include people parts, or so the belief goes). The explorator also believes in the power of human will. The idea that non-chaotic, non-demonic, knowledge can corrupt someone to the point that they can become a threat whether they want to or not is alien to her.
>>
File: techpriest 1280.jpg (94KB, 640x425px) Image search: [Google]
techpriest 1280.jpg
94KB, 640x425px
>>54259552
This combination of tremendous technical skill and knowledge with dangerous levels of naivety curiosity and idealism is completely in keeping with the character's backstory and experiences. (And, yes, if you are wondering, it has also been biting the character in the ass in terms making decisions and embarking on projects that have made enemies and lead to a declining sanity score. So if that kind of character triggers you please keep it to yourself so as not to distract from the subject of what I’m asking for help with. )

So
Do you have any advice on how to have my character do the following?:

>1.) Explain to this magos that knowledge that doesn't come from deamons, the warp, or evil tomes, can indeed corrupt someone to the point that they become dangerous, even if it is completely against their will to do so.

>2.) Explain that this situation was indeed irrefutably such a situation and therefore killing these magos who wanted nothing more than to know the emperor/ommnisiah forgave them for something that they were not at fault for and had no choice in, was the correct action and spared them from a fate worse than death.

>3.) In the Process, avoid revealing information that would warp the mind of the magos, or any other human who heard it, and won't turn the party against my character.

In other words.
My character knows, understands, and can explain something that I, the player, Don’t understand. Namely how xeno knowledge corrupts humans. So I am asking for ways to understand and approach this subject, and ideas on how to break it down in a way a techpriest can understand, so that I can play my character right.
>>
Tzeentch psyker what spells should I get?
>>
>>54257965
Just because every ship needs a Navigator doesn't mean every Navigator not on a ship requires a ship to be without a Navigator. Even if there's a scarcity to which the Navigator could theoretically be applied, it could be half a sector away. In the specific example of a Rogue Trader fleet, one that recently lost a ship but saved some hands, is grooming a Navigator to replace another, or has attained a Navigator in advance of a ship purchase could have a Navigator spare. It's a stupid logical fallacy with a dozen ways out.
>>
>>54245475
>but they aren't going to attack you for sawing off a shotgun.
But there are multiple Black Library books where even tinkering with your lasgun's sights is tech-heresy.
>>
>>54190643
>0643▶>>54191006 >>54191020 >>54191347 >>54191550 >>54191553 >>54199857 >>54205254
>File: MQO_class_planet__by_Voya(...).jpg (329 K

one i've used more than once is the agriworld 'Demeter'
It has a wonder from the dark age of technology, an enormous facility that goes through the center of the planet and modifies the weather. two large clouds form a band that rotate the entire planet just before dusk, like a huge sprinkler.
it requires a key to be powered, 'Persephone'.

people on the planet are around industrial revolution tech level, around beginning of ww2 (cars, powder guns, no lasers or anything)

players arrive and fine the planetary governor (the only man who knows where Persephone is), has vanished.

He has been taken by the Hades cult, a group worshipping Khorne that want to bring his power to this planet. (cultists are mostly human with the exception of rams horns growing from the sides of their heads.)

players need to find the governor before hades does. the device watering the planet is powered by the warp, massive destruction will follow if it falls to the wrong hands.

have fun!
>>
File: The Guard looks at you.gif (89KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
The Guard looks at you.gif
89KB, 600x450px
I think >>54253594 has a point, but it's all dependent on your group treated the game when you first started playing 40k. If your group was hard, then you learned a strict interpretation of 40k. If your group was lax, then you learned a loose one.

When I first started playing 40k almost ten years ago now, I was taught how to play 40k by the equivalent of a bunch of wahhabists, VERY strict on RAW and following the rulebook. The ONLY exception was mega-battles and previously agreed on multibattles. As I was learning how to play with my Tau, my usual teammate was a Dark Eldar player, with my Tau we made a great combo. I was taught not to do anything without being sure that was what the rules allowed. When he left university, he gave me a dark lance to remember the good times, and I converted it with a gun drone to make a little lance drone. I asked everyone at university if I could field it. Every single person, all ten or twelve of them, gave me the paraplegic ballerina stare.

"is it in your codex? No? Then no. Don't make up rules outside your codex."

I still have that drone. I've never used it. I've noticed this in many places I've been. In tabletop, if you make up your own rules, you rapidly find yourself without opponents. My current store is an exception during special events, and it does take some getting used to, but even they usually insist you use existing rules rather than making up your own. Since I'm making my own terrain, this is somewhat annoying - I want to make rules for it, but nobody will play them. Naturally, if you learned hard 40k, then you're definitely going to struggle going outside the box in the RPG. You're gonna carry that weight. The loose-canon players argue with the stricter players, and nothing gets done.
>>
Does anyone here have a good resource to find various character art of Imperials?
Like I say that in terms of not military, like I'm looking for Arbites, Farmers, Administratum Clerks, Inquisitors, etc.
Basically people that aren't IG, Chaos, Space Marines, or Xenos really.
>>
File: the floor is guardsman.png (127KB, 723x279px) Image search: [Google]
the floor is guardsman.png
127KB, 723x279px
>>54190643
>Please give me a planet with something interesting going on
Here you go pal, imperial guard vs tyranid in a lava world. Your players have two choices, one, die by the lava, two, die by the Tyranids.
Have fun
>>
>>54261840
What game is this?
>>
>>54262001

Chapter Master.
>>
>>54262001
https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Chapter_Master_(game)
>>
>>54254946
For what it's worth, I never said I thought this idea was plausible or in keeping with lore even from a fast and loose "fun first" perspective. Like, yeah this seems sort of extreme and it isnt just some randos on that station; basically every imperial ordo has some presence there. But either that will be part of the future drama, or my GM really just didn't think that hard about it.

Like, the arbites and maybe other administrators of the port were stealing supplies and selling them on the black market, and for some stupid reason they stole weapons intended for an Inquisitor. We were going to try and make sure the police captain died in his interrogation cell before he could mention he sold the goods to us. He died under torture, and our missionary "accidentally" burned the stenographer servitor in the corner so his confession was lost. Problem solved.

Also, probably as a joke about how we "bought" NPC navigators and magi, there was talk of a slaving operation. I'd say "the Inquisitor is a bad guy and this is a plot hook relating to that Footfall group who kidnaps and brainwashes people to be designer slaves*, but the last 15 minutes of the sesh were just discussing what we wanted to do with "our station."
>>
>>54263102

drop the game, it's too far gone
>>
>>54263102
Dude, go full RP4X. Establish shipping lanes, negotiate (aggressively) contracts, deal with problem visitors, set up a small shop that deals in painstakingly recreations of the genitalia of exotic/fictional animals.
>>
>>54266813

I call it "Bad Tyranid"
>>
>>54266973
I was leaning towards "Foul Xenos."
>>
>>54267098
Disgusting Daemons
>>
>>54268387

Horrific heretics?
>>
>>54259570
>Namely how xeno knowledge corrupts humans
It actually rarely will "corrupt" humans unless the xeno is a Chaos breed. What it is more likely to do is undermine faith, however, the admech regularly studies xenotech in order to learn how to defeat it, and at times, reclaims it in the name of the Omnissiah.
Better question is, as an Eldar, do you truly CARE? I mean, in your eyes, tech priests are really a silly damn lot, perhaps more so than most humans, and unless it is something that you are sure beyond doubt will affect yourself or ultimately your mission, why is it your concern what some naive tech priest does that fucks himself over? I'd deliver the standard cryptic Eldar warning about looking into things he shouldn't with a direct look, then let him sort himself out.
>>54261521
>Shas plays Tau
For some reason, I imagined it would be Orks or Deldar. I'm sorta sad now.
>>
>>54271052
>the guy whose name is literally "Shas'o" plays Tau?
NANI!?
>>
>>54271093
I thought it some manner of ironic joke, sue me.
>>
>>54271134
I will, you'll be hearing from my lawyers tomorrow.
>>
File: 1499309165657.png (2MB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
1499309165657.png
2MB, 1080x1920px
>>54271157
Gotta get thru my 9 proxies first, bitch!
>>
>>54271134

As funny as that is, I can't help but realize he says he learned to play tau alongside a guy who played dark eldar. Tau with Dark Eldar allies. It's starting to make sense.
>>
File: Rescue_434b8e_6226594.gif (65KB, 265x265px) Image search: [Google]
Rescue_434b8e_6226594.gif
65KB, 265x265px
>>54271052
>then let him sort himself out.
>>
File: 1499106930964.jpg (331KB, 1280x854px) Image search: [Google]
1499106930964.jpg
331KB, 1280x854px
>>54271187
I didn't MEAN to post that picture, but my keys said otherwise.
>>
To the GMs out there, when running games of DH/OW/BC, about what XP do you feel pcs start tiering up their equipment?
When do players go from stub autos and las as primary arms to bolters? From swords and the occasional chainsword to chain-bayonets and power blades?
>>
>>54271623
Usually as soon as they can afford, because superior firepower saves lives.
>>
>>54271702
Just because they can afford it doesn't make it available, and that only applies to DH1e, whereas no other game in the entire line works on physical money.
Even then, what if shit is about that they never really have the money? I don't expect the pcs to pimp themselves in their spare time to afford ammo for their bolter they couldn't really afford anyway.
>>
>>54271623
For Dark Heresy, whenever they feel like absolutely murdering their subtlety

For Only War, about the time the PCs prove themselves capable in combat to the point where shiny toys won't be wasted on them.

For Black Crusade, character creation.
>>
>>54271760
>For Dark Heresy, whenever they feel like absolutely murdering their subtlety
So from the start of the game, if they don't want to play a group of sneaky acolytes?
>For Only War, about the time the PCs prove themselves capable in combat to the point where shiny toys won't be wasted on them.
So what earmarks would I look for? A rousingly successful raid behind enemy lines? Singlehandedly stopping an ork assault?
Leading the company after the officers are killed by assassins?
>>
>>54272015
But that's the whole point of Dark Heresy. Playing a bunch of Pink Mohawks will just make rooting out the source of whatever heresy they've been sent to handle that much harder, if not outright impossible.
>>
>>54272015
Aye, those are good turning points for the party being considered assets rather than fodder
>>
>>54272061

>Playing a bunch of Pink Mohawks will just make rooting out the source of whatever heresy they've been sent to handle that much harder, if not outright impossible.

That's not entirely true. Subtlety is supposed to be a double-edged sword. You can get a bonus from low subtlety and a penalty for high as well. Trying to mobilise a search of a Hab by the Arbites is very hard if you are too high subtlety for example.
>>
>>54272061
So a cleric should not rouse up a pitchfork mob to clear out a den of twisted vice he discovers amongst them?
What I still dislike about subtlety is how it doesn't differentiate between people who are trying to work in the shadows and the face that is operating in plain view.
>>
>>54272108
Low Subtlety is the same. There should be space for bombastic witch hunter-type parties, too!
>>
>>54272015
Personally I had the PCs in my OW campaign stick with the stuff they had from regiment creation for a while. It was both to balance things out while we learned the system and because we love using the basic stuff for a while so that upgrading seems actually meaningful. Mind you, the squad was far from armless with a sniper and a meltagun, that soon got another sniper rifle through munitorum shenanigans and got a grenade launcher, plus a chimera for some missions when it was available.

The first campaign was used as an introduction for both players and the regiment, so they got sent against a bunch of rebels that were in the "losing but long to eradicate guerrlla war that it's more worthy of note because the damage to the fields may leave someone on more important worlds starving" phase of their little conflict. The PCs took precious little from there because they would get outright worse equipment, so they mainly got what few frag grenades the rebels had and the medic got a revolver more for collecting than anything (he later had to trade it in at base because of reasons, let's say the squad needed something else more important)

After the first campaign the PCs got enough experience to choose specializations, so they basically stopped being fodder in an official way. The second war was against the orks and proved to be much more demanding and gruesome. They got no losses but the regiment is getting pummeled hard and this is supposed to be the easy part.

To get to the point: once they proved that they were worthy of better stuff, the strict nature of the IG was still something to take into account, at least for the way the regiment behaved. So I had them find the corpses of the former team a techpriest lead in an overrun imperial base. The techpriest himself had locked himself away and was badly damaged/wounded, but the PCs assisted him and he authorized them to take the equipment.
>>
>>54191553
I can dig it. Squigtopia sounds awesome.
>>
>>54188434
Did my group's first vehicle battle in only war last night and was hoping for some clarification.

Are bolters as shit as they seem? 1d10+8 is just so abysmal for vehicular combat. An Ork warbuggy caught a chimera's side armor with 5 shots and dealt 0 damage.

Did I misread the rules? Is there something I missed?

Also, is it a dick move to punish my players for not using their brains? The tech priest in the sentinel waded into 4 warbikes and 2 warbuggies alone then got pissy when they circled behind him and lit his flanks up, nearly killing him in 1 round.
>>
>>54273332
Bolters are not for shooting vehicles.
>>
>>54273332
Did you use the weapons Pen? And of course Heavy Bolters are abysmal against vehicles, it's an anti-personnel weapon.

>Also, is it a dick move to punish my players for not using their brains?
Not if they act that retarded.
>>
>>54273332
Heavy Bolters are not an anti-vehicle weapon, Auto Cannons are
>>
>>54273370
I am beginning to see that.
>>54273388
I did use pen. I just wasn't sure what to expect so I didn't want to put guns too strong on the buggies and 1 shot my players.

>Not if they act that retarded.
One of my players actually is like functionally retarded and another is just a moron. That's half my group. I've had to handwave so much shit to prevent TPKs every single session but I'm starting to get tired of it. My players are starting to throw fits when I don't let them get away with every little thing now.

They charged a wartrukk through an Ork checkpoint and mashed the gate guard. I let this happen. They then got mad the guards slammed the gate shut behind them without giving all the players AN EXTRA TURN.

That was 3 sessions ago and one of them is still complaining about it.

>>54273426
If given the option, would you ever choose Heavy Bolter over Autocannon?

That 3d10 is pretty sick.
>>
>>54273510
>If given the option, would you ever choose Heavy Bolter over Autocannon?
The Heavy bolter is a smaller and lighter weapon. So pretty much whenever an Autocannon would be too large to be practical.
>>
>>54273510
>That 3d10 is pretty sick.

When I wanna be all BRATATATATA instead of BUDDA BUDDA BUDDA

Heavy Bolter is slightly better against crowds, for example
>>
>>54273510
Change players, obvious pussies
>>
>>54273510

400 gaunts in mobs of 20 charging a trenchline

you get 20 HBs or 20 ACs, plus some guard with flashlights

wat do?
>>
>>54274371
You obviously call artillery.
>>
>>54271052
>Better question is, as an Eldar, do you truly CARE

The eldar has plans that need the ship and dynasty to stay intact for now.
>>
>>54248062
>thinking those gorgeous Meritech Shrike ships ain't canon
>>
File: nosides.jpg (20KB, 250x323px) Image search: [Google]
nosides.jpg
20KB, 250x323px
>considering a horus heresy game
>reading through the good, the bad, and the alpha legion
>find the armor of thorns
>>
>>54275511

Don't you find it funny that the Meritech has heretical cogitator linkage granting it greater firing efficiency and command speed, leading to the deaths and persecution of the magi who built them, while only recently the Macragge's Honor was upgraded with "advanced cogitator linkages" granting it greater firing efficiency and command speed?
>>
So my group can't into dark heresy rules. You think it would be possible to run the game using the rule set from Dogs in the Vineyard?
>>
>>54279419
What are they having difficulty with? Are they just trying to read it piecemeal?
>>
>>54279466

They find it intimidating and confusing. Lots of rules and little moving bits they think are overly complicated.
>>
>>54279703
If you know the rules in depth, try a session -1 for them just to teach them how to roll and such. It all just comes down to a d100 against themselves or a d10 against their enemies.
>>
These threads have been super active lately did something happen?
>>
>>54281111

i didn't see more activity to be honest
some people asked a lot more question than usual maybe, so more answers came and that gave an illusion of momentary activity
>>
>>54274371
>>54274385

No, You obviously call orbital bombardment.
>>
>>54279419
Dark Heresy 2nd edition is your way to go pal. If they cant figure it out, teach them.
>>
>>54281111

Most of the activity comes from nucanon/trucanon arguments, since there's no new material and discussion of homebrew is stifled by autists.
>>
File: IMG_2506.jpg (57KB, 600x620px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2506.jpg
57KB, 600x620px
Is it possible to become an Obliterator in a Black Crusade Game?
>>
>>54281314
On your position.
>>
Hi guys, I have some friends interested in roleplaying, and we are planning to start something. We still don't know what, which one of 40k would you recommend? Any tips for starters?
>>
>>54283506

DH2 or OW as a startup, probably the latter.
>>
>>54248740
The Inquisitor who commanded the Vraks campaign in Imperial Armour was from Calixis. A few other things were mentioned as well in FW fluff.
>>
>>54284257
But Calixis was made by GW so it proves the rule still
>>
File: admech pinup.jpg (205KB, 809x1180px) Image search: [Google]
admech pinup.jpg
205KB, 809x1180px
>>54283506
What are you and your pals interested in? Almost all of the lines can work for starters. Deathwatch is probably the most complex, Dark Heresy and Only War are probably the simplest in concept. Rogue Trader has the best starting idea, but it might be more freedom than you or your players are willing to get into.

For all of the systems
>Most rolls should have +10 to +30 bonuses! A roll against your raw stat is "Challenging"
>Print out a "Cheat Sheet" of combat actions
>Dying horribly is part of the game, so don't forget to use cover!
>>54279703
Try running it with just the core concepts. Stat + bonus, roll under, count degrees of success. For combat, ignore things like Pinning and Feints to start with, just stick with aim, all out attack, and burst fire. Once you've got the hang of that, start including wacky extra abilities.
>>
What's the deal with Psykers in the Mechanicum? If one of the members was found to be a rogue Psyker what would they do to them? Does the AdMec have a secret organization of Psykers working on warp related projects? Are Psykers explicitly banned amongst their ranks outside of astropaths ?

I'm asking because my DH2e character is a AdMec Mystic (unsanctioned Psyker whose powers manifested after the events that took place on his quarinite homeworld of Kul)
>>
Sooooo, I'm think of making my character a boss killer. You know, someone who does an absolute ass-load of damage with one big hit.

So far, it's an assassin with a long las, 47 (37 base) ballistic skill and precision killer. So that's 3d10+3 potential damage, that's not unreasonable to achieve with a full aim and a target less than 75 meters away.

Any ways I can increase that that I may have overlooked? Cause it seems ranged talents are a bit meh. Apart from the ability to throw in 4-6 damage from my BS and perception bonuses, I'm not really seeing much of use.
>>
>>54285878
Players like you are exactly what's wrong with the current player pool. If I wanted to wank off about the numbers, I'd punch random shit into a calculator.
>>
>>54285878
Prepare to be fucked by Dodge rolls and forcefields

>>54285987
A guy with a Long Las and 47 BS is far from the most broken thing.
>>
>>54286016
My point is more that instead of saying something like "My Feral World Assassin, that has X backstory..." he instead said "Hurrr my character has no depth except to shoot real good." It sounds blatantly like rollplay, which I shouldn't have to tell you is absolute shit.
>>
>>54285987
In my defense, I made the character first and decided to be a little shit second. The idea was always to be a vestroyan guardsman, who became a sniper to try and stay further away from the fighting and stay alive longer, except it backfired, cause they kept dragging him along on suicidal missions, since they need a sniper. And one of those missions was the inquisitor, who approved of his new meatshield so much he recruited him. And promptly sent him on even MORE suicidal missions.

The decision to be a boss killer is cause I realized that I'm shittier than everyone else at killing large numbers of shit (which is an issue, cause it's an ork campaign), so I may as well pick out the priority targets instead.

Also, you know............... ASSASSIN. Imperial guard sniper, even. Killing priority targets is literally in the job description.
>>
>>54286045
Are you referring to JP's show or is that a fancy way of saying "powergaming"?
>>
>>54286196
See? Now I actually feel like helping you because it doesn't sound like you're only at the table to roll big numbers.

Definitely take Target Selection, Precision Killer, Mighty Shot, and Inescapable Attack.

>>54286242
Both.
>>
>>54286251
The first time where being longer made someone want to answer me, rather than ignore the comment or act like a condescending twat.

Am I understanding Inescapable Attack correctly? Basically, if I have 3 degrees of success on my attack roll, the other guy fails his dodge roll unless he gets 3 degrees or more?
>>
>>54286363
You're imposing a -30 check to his dodge roll. Easier to think of it as a penalty than to fuck around trying to figure out DoS. Especially since just passing counts as a DoS.
>>
>>54283110

Its an RPG, of course its fucking possible. You can find rules? homebrew.

I just don't really see a point of playing an Obliterators, they literary more machine than human and the only human parts left probably so insane they would appear inhuman anyway.
Obliterator Virus ain't no joke. Prise Nurgle tho.
>>
>>54285878
Sniper rifle is more efficient with longer range, better base damage and pen, and alternate ammo types for allowing it to ignore up to carapace armor or fucking over lighter armored enemies.
>>
>>54286045

>numbers scare me bawwwwww
>>
>>54287134

>being a dick to people on image boards wowwww
>>
Is there any external ways to modify Charm tests in DH2? Something like Devotional Iconography?

I'm playing a navy ace from a research station, so no social aptitudes
>>
>>54287183

>"I WOULD help you, but I only help Real Roleplayers who justify their requests with detailed character analysis and a worthy explanation, and you're just a filthy "ROLL" PLAYER (see the elegance of my disdain, for I have replaced "role" with "roll" - thus emphasising the part of dice in this pathetic creature's base lusts, which as we all know are used solely by scum who don't understand the Theatre of the Mind)."

Those types don't really deserve a polite response.
>>
>>54290135
>being this assblasted
You do realize Anon helped anyways, right?
>>
Something I noticed in the FFG books is any time they refer to a member of the space marine legions they use the term "Legionnaire." I was reading the Good Bad Alpha Legion book, and the author, in every single instance, uses the word "Legionary." What's the difference, and who's in the right?
>>
>>54290797
IRL Legionary refers to specifically a member of the Roman Legions. Legionnaire refers to a member of any Legion (French Foreign Legion, for example). Arguably either could be correct in discussing 30k/40k, but I think most GW material uses Legionary.
>>
>know nothing about 40k besides a brief skim of the history and lore, nothing in depth
>like I know big ships need a billion soul sacrifices to warp and METAL BOXES are a thing, and some other tid-bits from the old DoW games
>can't name you a single important character aside from emperor and some chaos gods
>still, the setting is really cool

>core group wants to try a sci-fi setting, preferably with ripping and tearing, OP's pic convinced me
>haven't DM'd in a long time
>nobody knows shit about fuck about 40k, except 1 guy who knows little like I
>tacticool combat is desired
>pre-made characters is an option
>probably won't last more than a few sessions
>a first time RPG player may join, maybe a female too

Is this fun as a game system without deep delving 40k?
Not going balls deep in the setting, but balls to the wall with the removal of demon instead
Pick up and play-able?
>>
>>54291129
Well the rulebooks give a nice and concise rundown on their setting. I'd suggest Dark Heresy (Either edition is fine for complete newbies, really, first editionj has the superior fluff, second has the superior ruleset), or Only War. Deathwatch has spice maroons, but gets crazy with rules real quick. Black Crusade and Rogue Trader are also a tad more advanced than what I'd comfortably recommend to newcomers
>>
Has anyone created homebrew OW advanced specialties for commissars, psykers, or storm troopers?
>>
>>54291813
I remember on FFG's Only War forums (archives should still be there) someone made some homebrew specialties for all the roles that were missing them. They aren't particularly amazing or all that interesting, can't really attest for their balance but it seemed okay enough.
>>
>>54188434
Which of the 40k RPGs is best for a group that tends to focus more on the combat than the RP part?

They like to joke around IC but thats about it for their RPing.
>>
>>54292627
Only War
>>
>>54290797
>>54291080

You use Legionnaire, because FFG understands the fluff better than GW, and thus FFG is more correct than GW.
>>
>>54258156
Doesn't it get tedious for them?
>>
>>54221953
My second Rogue Trader group accidentally retconned my first Rogue Trader's accomplishments out of existence thanks to Warp travel shenanigans. Temporal holes are magnificent that way.
>>
so im reading through deathwatch right now, making a mission i will run tm, how exactly does unit cohesion and solo mode work? I assume its activated but glancing over things im not seeing where in the rules to just read everything
>>
>>54295055
Chapter 7.
>>
Hey guys, post your campaign playlists please.
>>
What are some common houserules that you use in your games?
>>
>>54297253
>not using fanburst on roll20
>>
>>54297351
Only one time per session you can use fate point to regain 1d5 wounds. Otherwise caring about healing becomes redundant in dh2 and it makes it too dnd
>>
>>54297361
This doesn't seem very good.
>>
>>54297896
It is. Most of the popular 40k is there, ambience, sounds amd you can upload your own too.
>>
>>54297351
Leadership functions as a 3rd aptitude for Willpower
>>
>>54292971

GW is more canon than FFG because they own the license, dipshit
>>
>>54299051
Why would you do this?
>>
>>54299226
Because the alternative is to force everyone else to acquire the Psyker aptitude, and because the Leadership aptitude sucks ass. (outside of OW, where it is less bad)
>>
>>54191006

Greetings elegan/tg/entleman GM,

I too have run sessions set in a gas giant, under Dark Heresy 2e.

I had a cheat sheet to atmospheric effects covering gas mix, windspeed, radiation, temperature, etc, by altitude in the gas giant - a hot gas giant close to a star. Most of the rules are cribbed from Rogue Trader and Deathwatch, where these were described in different ways originally; it's fairly system neutral for all 40K RPGs though.

If it would be of benefit for you I can post this later today (should the thread still be up) when I get home.

My gas giant's denizens lived on the back of giant manta-rays in gypsy-caravan environment pod howdahs.
>>
>>54299445
Why not just merge Social and Leadership into one?
>>
>>54299910
Presumably because you don't want to get rid of Leadership, but make it useful.
>>
>>54285571
Bumping this question again, whats the deal with Psykers and the Mechanicum?
>>
>>54300428
I read the whole Lathe Worlds, but couldn't find an answer. I presume a Techpriest discovered to be a Psyker would be taken away for shady research by some powerful internal faction.
>>
>>54300428
They'd be obligated to hand them over to the Inquisition. The Admech keeping a psyker corps would be like the Inquisition keeping an R&D team. It goes against the Imperium and Admech's entire agreement.
Thread posts: 324
Thread images: 54

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.